Consumer Reviews and Complaints

This is the first auto business I have encountered that does not promise everything to get you in the door and then hit you with a bunch of double talk. Customer service to this point has been great. Philip and Justin were a great help and got me into the vehicle I needed. I would definitely buy from DriveTime again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We traveled from North Dakota to South Carolina to buy the perfect car and we could not be happier. The staff was amazing and the whole process was seamless. Thanks for a wonderful experience. We will be back for our next car purchase. Thanks Meechelle and everyone else that assisted us.

My experience here was excellent. Charlie took very good care of me at the Antioch location in Tennessee and had everything I needed done in just a couple of hours. I was able to qualify for 0 down on a car and was able to get a 2010 Ford Focus and I love it! I don't have a single negative thing to say about them!

I had a great experience. Very friendly staff. Took a while to process all the paperwork as it should have. They offered cold drinks and comfortable seating with very inviting environment. I would recommend them to everyone if I could.

My experience at DriveTime was absolutely amazing, within an hour I found the perfect car and drove off with no issues. And though I had minor issues Katey did all she can to make sure I have the best car experience possible!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My visit to DriveTime was fair. Dane ** was our salesman. He was top notch to work with but the car we wanted was in a stupid Samon plain. And even though it was the same price as the one we did buy we couldn't get it. We were not in the Samon plain!

I have to be honest, I am in still shock! I am very independent and have to do things for myself. You guys gave me this opportunity with a car. I have been looking for months. Herb, from Drive Time in Tucson had the best timing in calling. He told me to see if I prequalified and once I did he told me to come down. Never thinking I was going to leave with a car off the lot but I did! Herb hooked me up and patience with all my questions. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

All of the salesman staff were very patient, attentive and happy to serve and I thank them for their time. My purchase of the car ran over their open time and they stay late working with me both days and they were so great at making sure I got the car I Really wanted.

Hello Melanie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this information about your experience. I am saddened to hear that this has occurred. Please know that prior to point of sale, all of our vehicles are inspected.

I would like to know more information about all of the situations that you have experienced. I am concerned regarding your interaction with the local dealership and denial from your vehicle service contract provider.

I encourage you to reach out to my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We purchased a 2007 Ford Expedition from DriveTime 2 years ago. On the passenger side where people step into the vehicle there was some "wavy" paint. Looked like it had been painted and whoever did it was not very good. The sales rep said that it was normal wear and tear. From all visible appearances the car looked like it was in great condition. Some stains on the seats and that wavy paint. After 1 year that wavy paint was nearly all chipped off and what was underneath was our worst nightmare. Rust. A hole quickly formed. What was underneath that was 1000X worse. The entire frame of the car was disintegrating right out from under us. Upon closer inspection, the wheel axles, the engine mount and the entire frame of the vehicle was rusting.

We contacted DriveTime and they immediately accused us of trying to get out of our payments, which we have been behind on from time to time. They made the call about payments and pay history, perhaps because my wife (a woman) was on the call and the man thought he could strong-arm her to just give up. But we are just getting started. The call was so insulting that my wife did feel like giving up. I should also note that we had 3 major engine issues since buying the car and the warranty company found a way to deny all 3!!! Worthless from the ground up. Consider this our first step. We will continue to light up social media, consult legal counsel and scream about our experience to the rooftops from now on until DriveTime does the right thing and either repairs or replaces our vehicle. Lemons happen. We understand that. But DriveTime wants to sweep it under the rug and ignoring the issue when you have sold a lemon, well, we won't let that happen.

Joe is awesome! He did everything to help us get into a car we wanted! When every other company told us no DT said Yes! I'm so happy with my purchase. Joe went out of his way going through everything with me through email before I drove 50 miles to dealership. I knew what my downpayment was, my vehicle, idea of payments, everything! He was fantastic!

I had an excellent experience. At first I was very skeptical but I found the perfect car and terms for me. It's a different experience with available terms changing from one vehicle to the next. I was happy when I landed on the right car and terms for me. Thanks DriveTime!

Hello Ronnie,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. I am saddened to hear that you have been facing these frustrations. Please know that all of our vehicles are inspected before being placed on our lots. We understand that all of our vehicles are pre-owned. It is for that reason that we offer a 30 day/1,500 mile limited warranty with the option to purchase additional coverage via a vehicle service contract.

Please know that maintenance items such as a tune up procedure are not covered under the vehicle service contract since it is considered maintenance on the vehicle.

I encourage you to speak with you vehicle service contract administrator regarding covered components. Should you have any question or would like a further review, please reach out to our Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I brought a truck from DriveTime almost two months ago. Since I have had this trucks it seems to be nothing but problems. Within the first 30 days of having this truck it has been in the repair shop due to a cracked radiator. The warranty is not worth nothing, unless you're within Arizona, you're going have a hard time finding a repair facility that will work or even honors DriveTime warranties. On top, now the truck needs a tuneup. My question is if DriveTime even has mechanics that check their vehicle? 'Cause if this is the case, how did they miss all these problems?

Our experience was good. We have been DriveTime customers for several years. We chose DriveTime again because we have been happy with them in the past and were not disappointed this time. Wish the process didn't take 4 hours to complete, especially since we had done paperwork at another location that morning, but we love the vehicle and are very happy.

Great experience. My credit is horrible & DriveTime let me choose which vehicle I wanted... They didn't choose for me. I also like the fact they did a walk through inspection!! One more thing that was a plus I didn't have to bring documents. Everything the dealer needed could be pulled up on the internet or sent to by email!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I really do appreciate everything that y'all had done for me and for giving my brother the opportunity buying a car. Y'all had been a really big help. I cannot thank you enough and I cannot wait that I can buy me a car there also.

Auto buying experience - I was very pleased with the staff and hospitality of everyone here. The process was not too long and I ultimately left VERY satisfied! Elias and Eric really went above and beyond to make the customer happy. These guys are both really great employees! Thank you!

Hello Maritza,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am deeply sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your DriveTime vehicle due to the starting issues you mentioned.

Please know that we attempt to avoid situations such as these by inspecting each of our vehicles prior to sale. However, due to the nature of pre-owned vehicles, it can sometimes be very difficult to predict exactly if or when mechanical issues may arise. It is for this reason that each vehicle sold from our lot includes an initial 30-day/1,500-mile limited warranty, in addition to the extended vehicle service contract that is available to our financing customers as an optional product at the time of sale.

That said, I want to apologize again for any frustration this situation has caused. Upon further review, I see that you have recently been in touch with my Customer Relations team concerning this matter. Please continue communicating with us so that we may work toward an amicable resolution.

Jacob - Customer Relations

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I just got this Chevy Sonic on Friday and here we are Monday and I cannot start my car. It won't start at all. I called my insurance roadside assistance. I try to jump it it's not the battery. I am stranded with a car that I just bought on a Friday and it's Monday.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I could not locate our order number. I used our approval number. Awesome experience. Could not ask for better. Michelle and Natasha were great. I spent 40 years in sales at the top of my profession. Many as sales manager. They would have both been up there with me. I would have hired them. Would recommend your company to anyone.

Professional, wonderful service, salesman was knowledgeable and very helpful. I would recommend this company to family. Co-workers. Great customer service, excellent warranty policy, very organized in business, and a nice clean setting for customers.

Matt ** was very kind and patient. He allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted and gave really great detail about the vehicles I was interested in. I felt no pressure at all. His patience came into play when it was past time for him to leave and he didn't say a word about it as he allowed me to take some time to think it over and compare the two vehicles I was torn between. Thank you Matt.

We ended up purchasing our 2017 Ford Fusion. There were some hurdles to get it from another dealer, but in the end Loni and Terrance took care of us with our purchase. We were extremely happy to take the car out for a spin and walking out with the keys in our hands.

I'll recommend ANYONE to come to DriveTime in Jackson, MS to get a vehicle. The 2 hour drive was worth it. I wasn't there all day. They explained all my options with me and understood my credit situation. Everyone that I encountered was nice and was helpful to get me in and out. Mr. ** even recommended a wonderful food place once we were done.

Overall the experience was ok. But when I went the first day to look at the inventory I was told one price and the day I went to pick up the car I was told another price. But overall it was a good experience. I would recommend DriveTime to all my friends.

Great service, great people! The process was fast and no headache at all got me approved!! The atmosphere was clean and professional. I enjoyed my visit. My service lady was awesome and got me in a car that I liked with payments I can afford!

Good easy experience. Glenn was great and easygoing. Didn't feel pressured into a something I didn't want. I wasn't expecting to be getting a car so when I did I needed insurance and Glenn was helpful with that too!

The Salesman and General Manager BOTH made our experience THE BEST CAR BUYING EXPERIENCE I’VE EVER HAD... They were professional, Courteous, Friendly, Witty and you could tell that they were TOTALLY COMMITTED to making everything work for us. I'm not sure I will EVER buy a car from ANYONE else.

Scott **, Van, and Leon was some very helpful gentlemen. They help me pick out a car that I love which is a Volkswagen Jetta SE 2013. They completely nice and helpful throughout the whole process. Thank you all for the help.

I had an amazing experience at DriveTime. The process was very honest, fair and easy. Jonathon and Jasmine were amazing. They truly did everything to get me what I wanted and they went over all my options. I highly recommend DriveTime and especially the location in Fairfield, Ohio. Great job!

By far my experience buying a vehicle with DriveTime has been phenomenal. Mr. ** conducted himself in a very professional manner all throughout the time that it took for me to acquire a vehicle which was quite a long time because I had a very complicated case. Even when I got flustered he never lost his cool and he always thought positive in order for me to gain encouragement and move forward with the process. I'm ecstatic about my vehicle because it's exactly what I wanted. When no one else would give me a chance Christian went the extra mile to make sure that I got the chance that I deserve. DriveTime surely has a gem of an employee in Mr. **. Have a wonderful day. I know that from now on, I will, because my life can go on (after a year of not having a vehicle).

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

David did a exceptional job along with mgt. Thanks Everyone for your help. I love my Mustang. It's runs great, hassle free and very professional experience. I would highly recommend anyone to car buy at DriveTime In Fairfield Ohio. Thanks.

Great experience. My dealer was able to answer all questions and was very polite as well as helpful. It was nice walking into a dealership without getting a sketchy salesman vibe. I'm extremely happy with my vehicle and I plan on doing business with DriveTime in the future.

Hello Renee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. I am saddened to hear that you are disheartened with us. Please know that while all of our vehicles are inspected, they are pre-owned. It is difficult to determine if or when things of this nature would be happen. It is for this reason we provide the 30 day/1,500 mile limited warranty and option for an additional vehicles service contract.

To address your concern with the safety recall, while we do inspect our vehicles before sale, if there are any open manufacturer recalls present, we are unable to address them prior to sale. Manufacturer recalls can only be addressed at an original equipment manufacturer. To ensure our customers are aware of any open recalls, a safercar.gov recall report is pulled at the time of purchase, and our customers are notified of the results. We encourage our customers to review this information to ensure they are comfortable with their purchase prior to sale.

I appreciate you bringing your experience to my attention. I am saddened to hear that this has occurred. I would like to know more about your experience on the phone with the dealership.

I would like to make sure that this is addressed. To best assist, please contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I purchased a used car from the Bell Road, Phoenix location. I've spent over $1500 in repairs and had the car for maybe a month when this all started. All repairs were related to warranty and recall issues that Drive Time was aware of but hadn't taken care of, nor informed me of. I had these repairs done at a VERY reputable dealership because Drive Time doesn't have accredited mechanics. The service advisor from the dealership had spoken with the manufacturer regarding the issues and both had agreed that Drive Time should give me credit because these issues are well documented in the auto industry (not necessarily public).

I called Drive Time and they literally put me on speaker and laughed at me. After I told the service advisor what had happened he called Drive Time, explained the issues and they refused to help. He was not impressed with their professionalism. I could go on but this is long enough. Needless to say, I would NOT recommend Drive Time to anyone.

DriveTime Company Profile