Call now
4.17/5
Based on 641 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call now

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

DriveTime Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

5474 DriveTime Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Great experience buying a car at DriveTime! Yanira and Charles made it very smooth. They did everything to make it easy! I got a great car at a great price that I’m very happy with. I traded in my old car and received a very fair price.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Carlos was a big help along with Andy. They did an amazing job and provided a car that fitting my needs. The car is in great condition with low miles and well maintained. Overall an amazing experience and would recommend to friends and family.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Easy buying experience, sales people here were very friendly and very helpful. I would more than likely buy another vehicle from DriveTime and will also recommend others to go car shopping here at DriveTime and enjoy the experience of car shopping.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Very nice people and great deals. They were informative and helpful. They also gave me what a great experience. I will definitely recommend people to go to DriveTime if they are looking for a great used car because the deals is great.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Jose was very professional and patient working with me on the purchase of my vehicle. It took awhile looking at several different ones and looking not only at the Temple location but also checking the other locations that were close by. For the best options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Chad helped me with the purchase of my new car. He was very hands on. He made sure I understood every step. The customer service was great! I am a very happy customer! He prepared everything before I got there so the purchase of the car was really fast. I would definitely recommend DriveTime to my friends and I would be sure to tell them to ask for Chad.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I had a very good experience there. Everyone was very nice. Shantell was my sales person. She was very nice and polite. I would buy a car from her again and I will recommend other people to check you out. Thank you for a good experience.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The workers were very helpful and easy to get along with. Answered all my questions. Only issue I have is my radio not working the day after I bought the car. Radio was working fine during test drive and only works in certain areas now. Very aggravating.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Christopher worked his magic on my account. He fixed everything for us and made it to where me and my husband could both build our credit. I recommend him to anyone. He needs a raise lol but he’s a great people's person and takes his time to satisfy.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Kalyeb made my car buying experience better than words can say. He is knowledgeable, and pleasant. He was detailed and delivered a positive car buying experience. I decided to wait for him and it was worth the wait. Don't ever let him go. Thanks Kalyeb!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

From the time I submitted information online as to what type of vehicle I was interested in, and completed a pre-approved questionnaire, visited the dealership I was completely amazed. I wasn't pressured into anything, I was shown what was available to me that would meet my financial status and this took place on a Friday morning at 11:00 AM and I was leaving with my newly purchased vehicle by 4:00 PM. The time frame would have been much shorter than this, but do to a couple of things I had to take care of, not anything concerning DriveTime.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have to say that I can’t say anything bad about my experience. Keith ** and Brian ** was amazing. Very polite, told them what met our needs and they found it. Also everyone there was super respectful. They went out of there way to email me on multiple occasions to help us get in a car that met our needs. Knowing we live 2 hours away they took into consideration to communicate through email and calls. I give five out of five.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The process to get a car was so easy. My husband and I really appreciated all of the help we received from Faith in the process of getting a car. Faith was very friendly and professional. We had a great experience and would definitely recommend DriveTime Mesa to others.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I’m very pleased with DriveTime but Vincent’s customer service was the cherry on top to our experience. He made the whole car buying process so smooth and headache free. We are so amazed with the car we were able to drive off (2016 Hyundai Sonata). Thank you Vincent! Btw we went we went to the Garland location.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

One of the greatest moment was when I got my 2007 Jeep Liberty. I made the payments on time and everything. As time progress, I decided to go back to college and things kinda fell apart. Now I want people to know that DriveTime, several times over, helped me out with extensions and stuff. And I appreciated all the time they helped me out. Towards the end, I got a great job and started making some higher payments to catch up. I was about $3500 and still a little behind when a small loan agent suggested that I talk to the DT dealership and see what they could do to help me out with the Champ Program. *DT Champ is for DriveTime’s existing clients who have reached $4,500 or less of balance. The program gets them lower interest rate on the next loan, little or zero down payment, and all the benefits of One True Price.*

The young man worked with me and showed me several vehicles that were available as to what I wanted (another SUV). He made several calls and told me later that in order for them to help me out. I had to catch up on what I was behind, which I did on Friday for my appointment we had set. Before we could discuss anything, I had to make this payment and then we could continue. After the payment was made, suddenly I was only eligible for one 2017 vehicle (a car) and everything else was like 2-5 years old. Does it matter that I put $27,000.00 into the vehicle. When I fell behind I kept offering DriveTime the chance to please pick up the jeep and was told, "we don't want you to lose the jeep, let us help you."

When I called DriveTime small loans, I just get the "we apologize, but we do not handle what they do at the dealership" which is probably true. I was never the perfect customer and I will admit that but after all that money I put into my jeep, the attempts at the end to take care of my payments, you would think a dealership would do anything to get me to buy another vehicle. I am beyond disappointed in DriveTime today. I was promised a new vehicle if I made my payment and turned in my jeep. The Champ Program was supposed to be a special thing for a customer who was under $4500.00 on his loan.

In the end, DT lied to me as a customer and made no attempt to help me out. I guess the people who try to do the right thing, just never win. Congratulations to DriveTime for doing a bait and switch on me to get a payment and not honoring your Champ Program. After all these years and all the money I have given you, I leave you this review.

Hello Ricky,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We always appreciate customer feedback, as it aids us in improving our customer experience. I am very sorry to hear that you are displeased with the offer made to you through our champ program.

While we make every effort to accommodate our loyal customers through this program, please know that there are a number of different factors that can affect approval options during a dealership visit, whether it be a champ program inquiry or otherwise.

I would be more than happy to further address your concerns; However, due to the unique and private nature of your situation, it would be difficult for me to provide further insight in a public forum.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, I would strongly recommend that you reach out to your local DriveTime dealership.

Respectfully,

Jacob - Customer Relations

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I bought my 2011 Chevy Cruze back in Jan 2017. I have had consecutive issues with this car since. Wishing 3 days I had to put in a claim. I’ve only had this car for a year and I’ve had two transmissions replaced and I continue to have issues. I have driven this car consecutively for a month without having to call in an issue or my check engine light comes on. Obviously I was sold a lemon. But I will say the customer service is okay compared to some other companies, but whomever I spoke to this last time was not nice or empathetic at all to my situation so... just save yourself and go to another company.

Hello Shonta,

Thank you for taking the time to speak about your experience. I am saddened to hear that you are disheartened with us. Please know that prior to being placed on our lots, all of our vehicles are inspected. However, since we are working with pre-owned vehicles, we understand that mechanical concerns may arise. It is for this reason that we provide a 30 day/1,500 mile limited warranty and optional vehicle service contract.

I would like to know more about what you are currently experiencing. Please contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Ok so it's not the staff’s fault. The staff is a very polite and professional. The staff took real good care of me while I was in there. The problem is I selected a vehicle that I liked, got approved for the vehicle and was told a down payment and when got there it was twice the amount. I spent an hour there to get told that it's a different amount their website. They teach you to come in and then they give you the real price when you get there. In my opinion it is a bait-and-switch website. They give you the lowest down payment they tell you that you're approved for but when you get there it's a different story. This is the second time this has happened. The first time we went ahead and overlooked it and bought the vehicle. This time being twice the amount I'm not going to overlook it. I think that's crap. It is a bait-and-switch website. Do not believe what they tell you for a down payment.

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I am pleased to haer that our staff took great care of you.

In regards to the down payment, I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. While we are able to provide an estimated down payment for each of our customers during the online approval process, please keep in mind that this amount is subject to change based on verified of the documentation provided to the dealership at the time of sale.

Please know that we value you as a loyal customer. Should anything change your situation, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to earn your business.

Jodi-Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

The staff at DriveTime were extremely helpful and professional. Our sales associate took the time to explain the features of the vehicle and was very helpful in answering all of our questions. I will definitely recommend friends and family that are looking for a vehicle to go see them!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Best time buying a car ever, Charles ** listened to what I wanted and found a way to get me just what I wanted. Amazing guy and place to buy a vehicle. Thank you for everything. I would recommend this place to a friend anytime. I was at no time ever pressured into buying something I did not want.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Brandi has been a wonderful help to me in finding the perfect vehicle for me. I have been looking for over a month and she has called and checked on me and she has offered her help in any way possible. Everytime I or someone I sent to look at the car I was interested in, she was right there to lend her helping hand. She, being a young lady, had no problems opening that hood and explaining things. She checked the oil like a pro. Excellent customer service!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I WILL NOT RECOMMENDED ANYONE PURCHASE VEHICLE FROM DRIVETIME. I had purchase 2010 Chevy Malibu on Nov 27 2017 DriveTime in Aurora Illinois. Dec 4th I started having problem with the vehicle (steering gets stiff at stops, power steering and icy road lights start flashing). I been complaining to DriveTime. They said need take to one of their SR-Repair network, so I took to one of their network in Naperville, IL on Dec 7th 2017 but DriveTime/SR-Repair was not happy with results and they wanted me take it to second network. And so I took to AAMCO on Dec 11 2017 and they did the diagnostic: C0545 Steering Wheel Torque Input Sensor, dealer has recall for new updated steering column (recall Aug 2015).

On Jan 18 2018 I took vehicle to Hawk GM dealership in Joliet, IL they replace Steering Shaft Torque Sensor 1.5. This vehicle have so many problem. Why dealership will sell vehicle like this??? SERVICE NEEDED DONE. Throttle body replacement: The check engine light is on for P2135 TPS correlation. Torque converter cover: Torque converter seal leaking drip. Brakes: Front brakes at 4mm. To get all this fix will cost me 2440.43. Vehicle total sale price $13161.27. I ask if they can work with me get into another vehicle. They refused to help me. They said you can surrounded the vehicle but will go on your credit.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to write your review. I am deeply sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your vehicle due to the various mechanical issues you mentioned in your review.

Please know that our vehicles are inspected prior to sale in an effort to prevent situations such as these. However, due to the nature of pre-owned vehicles, it can be somewhat difficult to predict exactly if or when these issues may occur. For this reason, all vehicles sold from our dealerships include an initial 30-day/1,500-mile limited warranty, in addition to the extended vehicle service contract that we offer as an optional product at the time of sale for further peace of mind.

That said, I want to apologize for any frustration this situation has caused. Upon further review, I see that you have recently been in contact with my Customer Relations team regarding the concerns addressed in your review. If you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to reach back out.

Respectfully,

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Had a great experience purchasing a vehicle from DriveTime on West Broad Street. Our salesmen Nick ** is very helpful on the purchase of our vehicle. Would recommend to a friend or family member. Their inventory of vehicles are very nice clean.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I went to DriveTime just to gather information on the process of purchasing a vehicle. Long story short, 2 hrs later... I got approved and drove off with a 2013 Chevy Malibu. Location is at Chattanooga Tn. Friendly staff and very professional. I have no complaints on the staff and process of purchasing a vehicle from DriveTime. They also accommodated my young daughter to Popcorn, TV, and Water while she waited for me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Was very pleased with the experience of purchasing my new car. Everyone was very helpful. That’s the way I like buying a car, in and out in a couple of hours. Thank you DriveTime for a great experience! I am really enjoying my new car!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I received outstanding customer service on February 10, 2018 at the North Tryon store in Charlotte NC. Special thanks to Tiffany, Mia and Sudan for the excellent job they did in making my car buying experience smooth and easy. The dealership was easy to find and very clean. The whole staff was nice and friendly.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Solomon worked hard to get exactly what I was looking for. I am picky and he was very patient with me and made me feel comfortable in the whole experience. I would recommend anyone go to Drive Time for their next car. Don't think "I can't get a nice car". Go to Drive Time. Give them a few minutes and to you will see how easy it is.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I truly appreciated the efforts of the staff here. Jesse ** was super helpful, and patient staying over past closing go ensure I had all my options. Thank you again! I didn't think I had a chance to get a new and reliable car.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I had the most wonderful experience at DriveTime. Everyone in the building was very friendly, especially Jeff who was super helpful and walked us to the entire process. Jeff made sure that he found us find a car that was within my budget. I would recommend DriveTime to anyone.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I am very unhappy with DriveTime. I have purchase 4 vehicle's with Champion points, paid off all vehicles, I was told that I could purchase any vehicle with no down payment, I tried just a day ago, now I'm told that because my car was paid from insurance when we had bad hail that my Champion points were taken away. The salesperson had me and my husband after telling us that we qualified for no down payment and then a few minutes later saying we don't. I got to DriveTime at 2:00 pm and finally left with no vehicle at 9:30 pm. Very frustrating with the yes & no salesperson. DriveTime San Antonio Tx on SW Military Dr.

Hello Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. I want to apologize for the dissatisfaction and confusion. In regards to our Champ program, please know that the process would involve the trade in of a prior DriveTime financed vehicle. Since your vehicle was totaled out with insurance and therefore not traded in, the Champ option would not be available.However, if you did purchase GAP insurance, there may be other options for approval. Should you decide to offer us another chance, we would be more than happy to serve you.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

My experience with DriveTime was great. All the sales representatives were very helpful and considerate. They made buying my car effortless. I would recommend your company and have recommended your company to anyone who is looking for a used car. Thank you guys for a great experience.

DriveTime Company Information

www.drivetime.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use