4.5/5 (531 ratings)

About DriveTime

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

Pros

• Quick application process
  • 5-day return guarantee
  • Options for poor credit and no credit

Cons

• Interest rates on the higher end

Bottom Line

DriveTime specializes in used vehicles for people with poor or no credit. Good customer service and a quick application process make up for the fact exact interest rates aren’t available on their website.

Top DriveTime Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was right on, upbeat, extremely helpful and gave me exactly what I asked for and everything I wanted in and with the car. Went over the car with me and made sure ...

Verified

I had a great experience at DriveTime. They let me pick the car I want and ask me how much I would like to put down and they were so friendly and nice. Had a great time buying one...

What is DriveTime?

DriveTime.com is an online car buying site with 138 accompanying physical dealerships nationwide. DriveTime specializes in providing auto financing for people with weak credit or no credit. It just takes two minutes to fill out an online application and see if DriveTime can work with you to get the right car. Unlike some online car buying sites, DriveTime owns all of its dealerships, so it knows the vehicles they are selling.

How does DriveTime work?

The salespeople at DriveTime are salaried employees, relieving pressure on their part to make a sale. Instead, they are focused on providing customers with the most useful information possible. The DriveTime website has a wealth of resources on credit scores, auto financing and personal savings goals. You can search for the nearest DriveTime location on their website to view cars in person.

DriveTime used car inventory

As of this writing, the DriveTime inventory was 13,000 strong. With 13,000 vehicles to choose from at 138 DriveTime locations, you’ll have no shortage of choices. When you’re looking at cars online with DriveTime, you can view their safety ratings, features,  mileage and Kelley Blue Book pricing. DriveTime also accepts trade-ins.

DriveTime payment

All financing for a DriveTime purchase is done in-house, and they are open to accepting any credit score, including no credit at all. DriveTime down payments will vary based on the price of the vehicle and the customer’s financial situation. The 45-day hold on vehicles allows customers time to gather their down payment before officially paying for the car.

DriveTime features

Other features from DriveTime include:

• Two-minute online approval: All you have to do is enter some basic information, and in a few minutes you’ll know whether or not you’ve been approved for DriveTime financing.
  • Free AutoCheck vehicle history reports: To see the full history of your vehicle and make sure it hasn’t been in any accidents, just view the AutoCheck report that comes with every DriveTime vehicle.
  • Rigorous inspection process: Every DriveTime vehicle undergoes strict inspection to ensure it is in good working condition.
  • 5-day return policy: If you are dissatisfied with your vehicle for whatever reason, you can return it to DriveTime within 5 days.
  • 45-day holds for vehicles: Having trouble scrounging up a down payment? A 45-day hold allows you time to gather up the money you need to make a down payment.
  • Vehicle delivery: If you find a vehicle you like at a DriveTime location that isn’t the one nearest to you, DriveTime can ship it to a closer location.
  • Complimentary 30-day/1,500-mile warranty: This warranty will help keep you covered in case of an unexpected breakdown or another malfunction of the vehicle.
  • Range of options for down payments: Depending on your current financial situation, DriveTime can allow for varying amounts of down payments.

DriveTime FAQ

Is DriveTime a buy here pay here?

Yes. You can apply for financing through a DriveTime location, which makes it a buy here pay here (BHPH) dealership.

What is DriveTime Select?

Also called the DriveTime CHAMP program, DriveTime Select rewards customers for paying off their auto loan balances.

Does DriveTime work with bad credit?

Yes. DriveTime specializes in selling vehicles to people with bad credit.

Does DriveTime take trade-ins?

DriveTime does accept trade-ins. You can have your car appraised in person and decide if you want to trade it in.

Does DriveTime have GPS on their cars?

Yes. DriveTime uses GPS to keep track of a vehicle’s location.

Is DriveTime good?

DriveTime is a good option for people who have either no credit or less than optimal credit. DriveTime has more than just a wide array of used cars at fair prices. Additional features like a five-day vehicle return policy and a 30-day/1,500 limited warranty make it a solid choice for your next vehicle purchase.

DriveTime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: July 20, 2022

Raneta was one of the most thorough and knowledgeable persons I have ever met in life. Honestly I don't know why she isn't a manager of her own dealership. As far as quality control goes Drivetime needs to terminate all of its inspectors and get new ones that have basic mechanical experience. I have noticed a lot of battery issues.

The Temple Hills location was full of them. Either the batteries that are installed are not the proper batteries. Or batteries are being removed and charged and placed back in vehicles overcharged. My car had a vacuum leak which I could identify that's how loud it was. Transmission fluid was low. Oil definitely should have been changed. Oil filter had not been changed. Fuel filter had not been changed. The air filter had not been changed. I am like omg so Drive time is selling cars as is, with a good clean up. I am keeping the car because it deserves a better owner. Fingers crossed my car passes Maryland inspection.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Went in on Friday with an appointment. Efrain helped me but did not seem that interested really. Saw a car I liked said I would bring my significant other when he got off. Went back about 7 found a couple other cars he wanted to look at. Everything was a process and a waiting game. We found an Equinox but down payment was more then we had. Asked if any wiggle room and was told no. Asked him to reserve it till the next morning.

We made appt for 12:30. Already knew which car we wanted. A girl proceeded to help us. It was another very slow process. They had all of info and had been verified. She did not introduce herself and when almost done found out her name was Dana. We literally did not leave there until about 3:15. For everything being verified it should never have taken that long. Oh and when I called to make appt and informed Will we were going to put down to hold it. No wiggle room but yet he lowered the down to $1550. Makes no sense. I love the car and so hope it is a reliable car. So just not thrilled with the sales people and the wait.

Original review: March 25, 2022

This wasn't my first time buying from DRIVE Time... Now that's all I'll say on that one. BUT, this time The Team at the 2401 South Virginia St. Reno, Nevada, was Awesome!!!! I started the process With Jacob, but my job's worksheet was down for routine maintenance. So I had to wait another day to be able to drive off the lot. I was approved by the finance company they just needed a most recent pay stubs to release the loan. Now my credentials are not the best at all but they was able to get me financed with a not so bad finance app.

Now when I came in the next day Bo assisted me by helping me however she could even though my new phone was too new and not every app had uploaded yet. So quick thinking that she is she just shared the doc thru her email then she updated it. She worked as fast as she could to have finance approval pushed forward, seeing as I had to be to work that day I was late but I had to get a car.

My life as well as my disabled and dying mother's health and safety was at risk if I lost my job. Now once Bo asked me all my probing questions on my likes and dislikes in cars what kind I was looking for and if at all what do I not want. Using that with everything and then teaming with GABBY, who is awesomeness incarnate... The best she pulled around a car that we had looked at but just wasn't at the top but definitely nowhere near the bottom. Now I understand I can afford what I can and they still helped get me into a very nice car.. GABBY was WHAT I CALL THE TRIPLE F Rating, now I know but just wait. Fast, Friendly, and took my needs and worries onto herself and Fiercely haggle the Underwriting and get me the assistance that I needed to drive off the lot in a nice clean newer car that checked off 80% of my list I needed the car to fill in my needs of a car.

All I want to say is this team is great and rocks.... Jacob, you're the man spam... Bo, you was the brightest start to my day and then helped me to go even further in my career by taking my needs as your own and starting me on the great choice that you choose for me. Much love... Now I want to talk about this crazy awesome finisher named Gabby, wow that's the start she is awesome sauce... Lol she made the whole underwriting and contract understandable and informed me of all the great specials that drive time has for any and all... She made me feel like she wants to be my sister and take care of her older brother. I will forever be in debt with the care, Gabby, Bo and Jacob gave to my situation... Thanks again and I will be your man on the streets pushing your dealership.

Thanks again and for all,

Bryant **

Reno, Nevada 89523

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Thank y'all so very much for helping me with my trade in!! Laura ** in the Fort Worth office was awesome! When we first got in before we even sat down she sanitized the seats and area we were going to. Big points for that!!! The process didn't take that long honestly! As soon as we got there we got to test drive the car we wanted which was great! She was very informative and knowledgeable about the process. We were definitely satisfied.

The only thing I would say is y'all should probably stop advertising "this is your REAL down payment and your REAL monthly payment." I was approved online for a 2017 Toyota Yaris. 495 down (I was putting 2k down anyways) and 180/month and had I gotten that car the down payment would have been $5600. It didn't ruin my experience, I'm still happy. Thanks to the staff in the Arlington office and Ft worth office but I'm not a big fan of the false advertising. I figured it wasn't 100% accurate but that's a really big difference.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Not much I could write could show how much I would recommend these guys to anyone. I bought a vehicle I'm 100% satisfied with at a very competitive price. Braddah Stephen ** was my sales agent, and his service was the best I've ever had for any significant purchase. Not only was he very friendly, genuine, and honest about every detail, including vehicle history and condition (which I have since verified multiple times with mechanics), he and the office staff took extra steps to ensure I had the best experience possible. He even washed and shined up the car for me before I drove her off the lot, and has checked up since to see how I am enjoying the vehicle. Stephen and the other staff were very welcoming, and being a non-car-purchasing newbie, I could tell they were genuine about everything involved in the purchase. There was no pressure whatsoever, and the explanation of products and services (like the extended warranty), were clear and easy to understand.

This Drive Time is smaller than the neighboring Carmax, at which I went right beforehand and was thoroughly unimpressed. The Carmax salesman was exactly that: just trying to push things on me rapidly without taking time to make sure I understood or heard him, and after driving a very overpriced vehicle at Carmax which was of far less quality than the one I purchased at Drive Time, I would say that Drive Time (which appears humbler and of less stock than Carmax), blew them out of the water. I would recommend this Drive Time and all its staff I've met (particularly Stephen) to anyone out there who just wants an honest experience and a decent car. Awesome job Stephen and everyone, and thank you so much for my incredible car!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

My engine light came on within 5 days of me having my vehicle during a holiday week while I was out of town. Now the dealership wants to charge me $1 per mile picking up the option of a proportion of docusign I don’t remember being in it. I know I would have read a return policy. I wanted to switch out my car for another within my 5 day period.

DriveTime response

Hello Ralphiel,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience with us. We are truly sorry to hear you experienced a mechanical concern soon after your purchase.

We understand that mechanical concerns are never ideal. It's important to keep in mind that all our vehicles are pre-owned and inspected before placing them on our lots. While they go through an inspection, we are unable to predict when future repairs may be needed. For this reason, we provide a Limited Warranty (LW) for mechanical failures within the first 30-days/1,500-miles. We also have an optional Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) to assist in most situations there-after.

In addition to these coverages, we offer a 5-day Vehicle Return Policy (VRP), which allows our customers the opportunity to inspect and get comfortable with their purchase. If they are not pleased with their vehicle, they can bring it back within the first 5-business days (not including the date of sale, holidays we are closed, and Sundays).

We certainly appreciate your feedback and apologize once again for any inconvenience this caused. Please reach out to our Customer Relations department at (888) 290-0148 should you have any questions.

Respectfully,

DriveTime Customer Relations

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

Martin and Juan were a God Sent. I had lost all hope for anyone giving me approval for a vehicle. I explain to them my situation, they explain to me the process. No judgement and they helped me. I will be forever Grateful.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

The interaction we received via phone and email initially in preparation for our visit to the DriveTime in Plymouth Meeting, PA was productive and pleasant. However, on the day when we were on site to view the vehicle in person and to complete the process, that pleasant experience had ended and instead we had a somewhat sterile and cold interaction with the representative who assisted us - we felt like our transaction was just another task that they were completing. It wasn't bad, but there was no personality, pleasantries, or even courtesy.

Additionally, the "reconditioning" practiced at this location appeared to be half-hearted with obvious cleaning product being sprayed in the interior of the vehicle, but not wiped off thoroughly, and an extremely heavy reliance on air fresheners. Worst of all, the air fresheners used were so acrid and aggressive that the only comparison I can make is that they had the smell of urinal cakes and moth balls. I removed no less than ten of these air fresheners from the interior of a CUV on the ride home - an excessive amount by any measure - along with a canister of "air freshener fogger". If this is the recommended approach to "reconditioning" vehicles, I would strongly suggest reconsidering this practice, especially if those urinal cake smelling air fresheners are the recommended product to use.

DriveTime response

Hello Sean,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We are genuinely sorry to hear about your experience with our Plymouth Meeting location.

Please know that we do our best to provide all our potential customers a personalized and comfortable experience. We greatly apologize that this didn’t reflect during your visit. If at any time the service level or communication at DriveTime is not being kept or not up to DriveTime standards, we would definitely like the opportunity to address this.

We appreciate and value your feedback. We will be providing any applicable coaching or training opportunities in an effort to prevent this situation in the future. If you have any questions or additional feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact our Customer Relations department at (888)-290-0148.

Best regards,

DriveTime Customer Relations

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Amber was beyond helpful! Not only was she quick, but made the purchase effortless. 10/10 would recommend and will be coming back in the future. The car was cleaned and detailed for me in no time. I am more than happy with my experience!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I had the pleasure of being helped with my purchase from Cash. He did great letting me know my options on the vehicles available going over down payment and monthly payments. Once I arrived he had most at all the paper work and the truck ready to go. Would definitely recommend Drive time and have them ask for Cash.

DriveTime Company Information