4.21/5
Based on 619 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

DriveTime Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 25, 2018

5704 DriveTime Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

I gave a 4 star because I was put into car that has some type of mechanical problem. Besides that everyone were professional and respectful. Jennifer was very patient and David help to get another. So far, I am enjoying the car and hope that stay way. I am thankful to have found DriveTime because I could not none one wanted to give me second and my family and I were a big need of a second car. Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The person I worked with, Contina **, was very polite, funny, and had a great personality! She was there for me the whole way. When I went back a second day to finalize and get the car, I had only an hour before going to work and she was amazing at getting me in and out of there on time. She always had high energy and was very friendly. My new vehicle is also amazing and would highly recommend this DriveTime in Waukegan.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My circumstances prior to my visit was not simple or easy. My salesman: James was helpful and patient, made effort to help me understand the entire process. Financed 2013 Toyota Corolla with a bad credit history. Worried about vehicle condition and would suggest more detailed information about vehicle inspections. James allowed me to take my time and to ask as many questions as possible; not controlling or rude. Even washed the car - I would highly recommend anyone to work with James and the Antioch Dealership are fortunate to have such a hard worker. Thanks again.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I loved the experience. While I had hesitancy, Amii did a great job getting my questions answered as making sure that I felt at ease with the process. I had previously visited a J.D. Byrider and found that they were extremely pushy and less concerned with customer service and more with generating future sales leads out of the references provided. DT even had the clause very openly displayed and even made sure to highlight both the clause and the ability to refuse said clause.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was satisfied with the customer service I received from sales person NICK **. He kept me informed of updates on the vehicle I desired to purchase and gave me vital info I needed to make an informed decision. I really enjoyed my experience at DRIVETIME because of NICK and all the nice staff there. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: May 22, 2018

I visited David ** at DriveTime in Clearwater FL, about 7 months ago looking to upgrade my beat up truck. He went above and beyond looking for the perfect vehicle for me, it just wasn't in the cards for me at the time. I show up with no appointment on Saturday afternoon, 7 months later and with a lot of work and little luck got me into a 2015 terrain with every option I wanted. That's not why I'm giving 5 stars because that's what car salesmen do. What made this purchase special was he remembered every detail from over a half a year ago. Shows how personal, and professional he takes his job at DriveTime. I told him then and even after the sale I will say it again. He has earned my business and I look forward to being a repeat customer. Thanks again Dave!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Absolutely amazing experience from start to finish. Sales personnel let me take my time browsing the lot before bothering me at all, then introduced themselves and gave any assistance they could before letting me finish my viewing of the lot. Knowledge of the vehicles was spectacular and personal opinions/advice was helpful without being biased. I truly felt like my individual needs were catered to through the process and finding a car that met all my requirements while staying within my budget was a blessing. Sales personnel encouraged me to purchase the vehicle due to its great fit for my situation and great price to match, but never did I feel pressured to purchase beyond a comfortable point. Entire experience was incredible and I appreciate all of the assistance at DriveTime on Camelback. 10/10. Would recommend to a friend!

Original review: May 21, 2018

My boyfriend purchased a car from here last year. We weren't together at the time but when he told me how much he was paying, I told him he got played. His bi-weekly payments about 200+ (about $500/month) for a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country that had 22,000 miles on it. He has a 722 credit score. Not sure how he got this payment, he's originally from Nigeria. I feel like he was taken advantage of, we're going to review his paperwork together and see what can be done to lower his payment. Not good DriveTime.

Hello Desiree,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I want to apologize for any frustrations that you have encountered in this situation. Please know that all of our loan servicing is handled by Bridgecrest, our lending partner. If you have any questions or further feedback, I encourage you to contact them directly at (800)967-8526.

Original review: May 21, 2018

The service was great and very helpful. The sales lady Rasheka ** helped me at every step. She is a great person. I will be buying another car from her soon and would recommend anyone there. I am completely happy with my purchase.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Early week I made an online appointment to visit DriveTime in Hickory Hills after seeing a few vehicles I was interested in and on Saturday, May 19th I went in for the 1st time at 11:45a for a 12:15 appointment and was out by 3:30p with a car! I was helped by Tyrone **. The process was easy and it was truly bc I was prepared. I knew I was going to make the move to purchase a vehicle as soon as I returned from out of town the previous weekend. That following Tuesday, I gathered my last pay stub, proof of residency, and I knew my down payment for months and my budget for a car.

I was eligible and able to find several cars within my budget with the features and details I requested. I first test drove a Buick SUV that I just knew was the one and I didn’t want to see anything else but I was in no rush and asked to see more. I was then shown a 2017 Buick Verano Sports Touring. With Leather interior, rear view facing camera and so much more it was beautiful. I test drove it and it felt right as if it were mine already. I said, “This is the one!” We then went back to the office desk to finish up paperwork. I was very relaxed... Tyrone let me lead my visit and was there to help me with any questions I had. There was no pushy car salesman. I’m very happy with my purchase and will recommend anyone to DriveTime Hickory Hills to see Tyrone.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Me and my girlfriend had a great time. We worked Artesia which was amazing. She helped us get into what we wanted. We were car less until we came there and she assured us we were leaving with a vehicle. I would definitely recommend DriveTime to anyone and to work with Artesia.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I was very satisfied with the great customer service I received. Yunuem and her manager, Key, really helped me find what I wanted and with the payments I needed. And I’m very satisfied with the vehicle (2016 Dodge Grand Caravan)!!! I will definitely recommend DriveTime to any friend or person I know that is searching for a vehicle.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I bought my 2016 Jeep Cherokee through Maurice at the Fairfield, Ohio location. He was very easy to talk to, very genuine, and I felt zero pressure! I am easily a pushover so I appreciate him a lot. My credit is new, so I was concerned about needing a co-signer. I would have been able to have a co-signer, but I’m stubborn and didn’t want to depend on anyone. I was looking at a Jeep Patriot at another dealer, however the Saleswoman was very rude, monotone... not somebody whom I’d want to receive commission off of my purchase. The entire environment at DriveTime was very inviting. I felt welcomed here, as opposed to being at the big name Dealerships. I will also mention, that I’m a new mom. Maurice helped me find the mom user friendly, hands off car that I could, and it’s so reliable! I love it. Thanks Maurice.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I was very, very happy with my whole experience. From my online application, to the prompt follow up, to the amazing service from Susan ** at the Allentown, PA dealership… Everything went so smoothly. I would definitely recommend friends and family to purchase their next vehicle there.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We had an awesome experience buying a Ford Escape through DriveTime in Fort Myers!! Our sales agent, George ** was amazing. He explained everything well and was very personable with us. I would recommend DriveTime to friends and family. Thanks so much for everything!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I purchased my car with DL at the Augusta, GA store. He was very easy to talk to and work with. He explained every step to me. I had already looked at the Jeep Renegade online. I knew what vehicle I wanted. The managers and other salespeople were nice as well. I will be recommending my friends to shop there.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Was approved by the website for a Dodge Ram for 595 down. When got to the Salem dealership and said that I wasn't approved for the Dodge pick up and wanted to put me in a Nissan for 1800 down. A sham and lie to get you into the dealer and lie to you. The website approval is a lie and con. Will never do business or recommend these con artist.

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. I wam saddened to hear the frustrations that this situation had brought you. Please know that although we offer an online pre-approval with a prospective down payment, it is dependent on the documentation provided at our dealership locations.

In regards to a different vehicle that the originally chosen, please know that we strive to set all of our customers up for success by showing vehicles that fit their needs and requirements.

Please know that we appreciate all feedback as it is a means to better improve our customer experience in the future. Should you have any questions or further feedback about what you have experienced, please feel free to contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We went to DriveTime (Roanoke, VA) to get both a truck for my husband and another SUV for me (I had gotten one previously there with no issues). We were approved online with a certain amount down and told to bring certain items. To begin with they needed bank statements we were not told to bring (we had driven 200 miles). Thankfully our bank emailed it to us. We did all the info and then was told our down payment was way higher than we were told online. They then wanted to put us in something else with a big down payment. We came this distance due to what the approval said online just like previous. Needless to say we left with no vehicle due to being very upset with them. Let me mention so did another customer. Will NOT recommend them ever again.

Hello Kimberly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! I want to apologize for the frustrations that this situation had brought you. Please know that although we offer an online pre-approval, it is dependent on the documentation provided at our dealership locations.

Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention as we appreciate all feedback as it is a means to better improve our customer experience. Should you have any questions or further feedback about what you have experienced, please feel free to contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2018

When I went to purchase a vehicle of March 2016, I needed a vehicle bad. My transmission went out so they really did make the experience a good one when buying with them. If I knew that I was going to be upside down I would not have went that way. After a year with me paying on time I thought I would be able to trade my car “NOT”. I was told I have to wait til I am under $5000 to trade. I have been to other dealerships but not able to get financed because of that car that I owe way too much money for to trade without having a big down payment. I have been paying on this car for a little over two years, not late and seems as if my balance is not going down. My credit is better and know my interest rate should be lower but again DRIVETIME will not allow me to trade. I advise, “Be careful of what you get yourself into cause it's hard getting out.” All I want is a newer car with a lower interest but I am stuck.

Hello Pamela,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some insight regarding your experience. I want to apologize for the frustrations that you have met during your vehicle ownership.

In regards to vehicle trades, please know that there are certain criteria that vehicles must meet in order for our dealership locations to them in as trade when there is still money owed. Trades are not negotiable via any DriveTime employee as they are part of our no haggle pricing.

In regard to your financing and interest rates, please know that all of our loan servicing is handled by Birdgecrest, our finance partner. Should you have any questions or concerns in regard to loans or financing, I encourage you to reach out to the directly at (800)967-8526.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Bought an Infiniti Q50 for with my mom. I really appreciated the friendly welcome and service we received at the Louisville location. A special thanks to Mike ** for walking us through the process professionally and patiently! Mom is so happy with her new beautiful car and we would definitely recommend DriveTime to our family and friends. Keep up the good work!

Original review: May 16, 2018

It being my first time purchasing a car I was skeptical about it and was unsure and felt I was just going to get numbers thrown at me but my experience with Wesley at the Chandler Arizona location was amazing. He was awesome and make my experience easy and fun and ended up getting my dream car.

Original review: May 16, 2018

When we visited the Corpus Christi location on Saturday we asked them twice if the vehicle we wanted still had the factory warranty due to the car only having 24800 miles. They went and checked and came back and told us "YES it still has the factory warranty". While do a test drive I asked the salesman again if it had the factory warranty. He again said "YES". When we showed up today with $1000 CASH down payment we were told that they found out yesterday that the car we wanted didn't have the factory warranty due to it previously being a rental car. They knew on Saturday that it had been a rental car. That's okay though. We took our $1000 CASH down payment and went to Allstar Mitsubishi and bought a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Limited with only 06 miles on it with a lower interest rate too. Thanks DriveTime for sending us to them.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for writing your review and I truly apologize that the information regarding the factory warranty was not correctly provided on a specific vehicle of interest.

DriveTime strives to ensure that the information we provide regarding the vehicle’s history as well as its specifications is accurate. As we take concerns such as yours very seriously, I have personally contacted the Corpus Christi location to gather more information about what has occurred. They take responsibility for the misinformation which was initially provided to you. They explained that they had not fully researched the history of the vehicle prior to your visit to confirm if it had remaining factory warranty. Additionally it was the sales associate’s understanding, based solely on the mileage of the vehicle, that it would come with the factory warranty. However, upon later investigation, we were able to confirm the factory warranty had been voided due to the vehicle being used as a fleet or rental. DriveTime aims to be as transparent as possible when it comes to your vehicle purchase which is why we explained there is no factory warranty remaining prior to your purchase of the vehicle. We will ensure the appropriate training and feedback will be provided to our dealership staff to ensure errors of this sort do not occur moving forward.

Please know that we value all feedback, both positive and negative, and we will be using your feedback to help improve our level of service in our dealerships. I want to thank you again for reaching out to us. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Relations department at (888)290-0148.

Respectfully,

Jodi-Customer Relations

Original review: May 15, 2018

My approval was done very prompt. All of the guys were extremely friendly, and helpful. Adam was awesome! Helped me look through pages and pages of cars (showing me a few on the lot in between) and helped me find the car that fit me, and the amount I wanted to pay down & per month. Thanks again!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Corby (Fort Worth Texas) is the BEST! He was honest with me about the vehicle I had first selected which I so appreciated. He was thorough in everything that we went over. I really appreciate the time he spent with me finding the car that was a fit for me. :-) Thank you DriveTime and Corby!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Purchased a 2014 Kia Sorrento on Mar 1, 2018. While at the dealership I was seated at a desk with a saleslady who completed all paperwork and contract forms. After adding the new vehicle on my insurance and paying my down payment I digitally signed my contract. I watched videos on extended warranty, tracking system, and other options. I completed my signature portion, setup my payments dates, and entered my routing number and account number to establish auto pay (or so I thought). I was handed the keys, told my first payment would come out April 7, and congratulations on my new purchase. I was thrilled. I bragged on DriveTime for weeks about how easy the process was and how great everyone was, even my father in law who was planning on buying a vehicle himself through them. Well not now!

On April 19, the vehicle I purchased was repossessed. My payment on 7 April never came out, no one from DriveTime or Bridgecrest (their finance company) notified me of any problem other than by email 4 days before they took it. So my complaint follows: I work two jobs and day from 7 am to 11 pm. I do not have much free time in there. I do not look at my bank account daily nor do I check my email daily. When I noticed my payment on the 7th had not come out I reached out to DriveTime to inquire about the payment. It was then that I was notified that the vehicle was repossessed. I was baffled. No one had contacted me that there was a problem with my account. I asked why I never received a notice, call, or anything advising me of a non payment. I was told it was because my number was on a global do not call list.

Problem #1 - In the contract I signed at the dealership it explicitly gives them full consent to reach me at the numbers provided, text, email, and other ways. They never called or texted me, but only sent one email 4 days before repossession. That email went to my junk mail and took 15 minutes to find once I was told they sent one. They stood firm to they didn't have the right to contact me at that number until I filed a BBB complaint and included that part of the contract in my complaint. They then said, "Well... We contacted you by email so we did our part."

Problem #2 - The finance company told me auto pay was never setup. I entered my account information. We set up payment dates. The local dealership told me it was setup. Then once the vehicle was taken I was told by DriveTime that I was supposed to get a call within 3 days to set my account up online and then the auto pay would take affect after verification. Hmm... Little late for that now. They denied doing anything with my information and said that they could not get to that information that I entered into the computer I sat at while buying the car. I guess it just vanished, along with the other 30% of the contract that I had to go through that day that didn't print out.

While discussing the issue after repossession neither the dealership nor the finance company took any responsibility for any of the actions. The money was there to pay for the payment due plus the one coming up. I was never given that option. They took the vehicle and never looked at giving it back as an option. At least in my case I only paid $500 down. They would not return that. In the repossession paperwork it states that if you traded a vehicle in you would not get it or any monetary amount back. You just lose your new car and old car.

As friendly and helpful as all the staff was when I bought the car, they were the complete opposite afterwards. People who I had communicated with at first ignored me when I went to address the problem. They said they couldn't produce the contract (which according to Bridgecrest is false), said I never setup auto pay (but when asked where my information went when I entered it into the computer they said they couldn't tell me and had no access to it.

All in all this transaction was a very shady one. Auto pay that I was told setup wasn't. My number on a do not call list that your contract gives you authorization to call but you didn't. Not even trying to resolve the issue. Just going with the fact... You didn't pay it on the 7th. (This by the way I can and will take responsibility for). But if this is how these two companies conduct business I will let anyone I can know my story with them and advise against purchasing at DriveTime. They could have worked with me but decided there was absolutely nothing they could do. This has cost me about $1500 in immediate funds and a second job at $315 a week.

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. I want to apologize deeply for the frustrations that this has caused you. In regard to setting up automatic payments, please know that we do offer to set up automatic payments at the dealership prior to point of sale.

In regard to Bridgecrest and their contact attempts, please know that concerns regarding post sale contact would be handled exclusively by Bridgecrest. I encourage you to contact them directly at (800)967-8526.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Was told one down payment and had to put down another. After waiting for hours I was finally able to drive away and asked if the tank would be filled. The car was brought back barely even filled from when the person left.

Hello Selena,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. I want to apologize for the frustration regarding your down payment and also gas fill. Please know that while we do offer an online pre-approval, it is dependent on verification of documents at our dealership locations and also other factors such as a credit check.

In regards to the fuel level, I apologize that the tank was not filled prior to your purchase. Please know that we like to ensure that every vehicle sold has a minimum of a half tank of gas when taking their vehicle home. Should this not be the case, I encourage you to contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Literally, my truck was on its last leg. The airbag light was on, no A/C and last week the upper control arm and hub assembly went. I applied online with one of those "we can finance anyone places" and they filter you to dealerships, well I thought I had a good prospect (juiced me up), "You know you'll be driving this F150 tomorrow." Well tomorrow came and went, I went online to DriveTime and blam you're approved, went into the location and was greet by Mattew (manager), gave him my documents, hooked me up with his salesman (Rafael). They gave me a choose of 5 truck they had with the down-payment amount and in about 2 hours I was headed home with great truck... Thanks Guys.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had a very good experience and I would tell everyone that I know, "If you're going to buy a car go to DriveTime. They're the best. They will take care of you from beginning to the end." I walked in without a car and I drive out in a car.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I can tell you that DriveTime is an awesome dealership that does a great and brilliant service to the peoples of the community. Virtually no one will do what DriveTime does to get a person a dependable vehicle that's clean AND get us protection for our cars in the form of an Extended Warranty Plan that is reasonably priced, AND rolled into the loan contract, so that getting an extended warranty contract will not burden you further financially. Great work DriveTime and thank you very much for assisting me in getting into my 2013 Ford Fusion S.

Original review: May 13, 2018

PHILLIP WAS AMAZING!! He was very patient but forthright. He showed us many options that appealed to us, but was willing to give us an honest opinion backed with facts. I would recommend him and the other employees of DRIVETIME ANYTIME!!!

DriveTime Company Information