Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Wow. I have never really taken the time to leave a review for a business, but DRIVETIME definitely deserves my time. Great overall experience. Helped me get into a car that I've been wanting for a very long time! Thanks guys!!! Victor is great!

Cassie and Ryan were super helpful in getting us into a nice reliable car. They went above, by going and getting equipment in order for us to print documents that we didn't have rather than having to drive 2 hours home. We really appreciated the time they took to help us. I highly recommend working with Cassie to get into your new car!

Hello Rod,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your DriveTime experience. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you have experienced any dissatisfaction with us due to this situation. I want to assure you that it is our goal to work with each customer to find the right vehicle for them. To ensure that each customer is able to have a successful loan or lease with us, we take their provided information and we determine what type of vehicle they may qualify for. We would not want to set our customers up for anything except success, and because of this some customers may not qualify for the vehicle they had hoped for. We do try to work with each customer as best as possible to find them the vehicle they will love, but there are stipulations that still must be met.

I apologize that we were unable to find the right vehicle for you. Please know that should anything change, we would love the opportunity to have you as a customer.

Thank you again for your time.

Andrew – Customer Relations

Original review: June 11, 2017

I emailed back and forth with the customer service department at DriveTime before I went to their closest location since the closest location is an hour and a half away. I didn't want to waste my time or theirs and yet it seems as though that was the case anyway. I called the St. Louis DriveTime and explained my situation with regards to my finances and emails with the customer service department. He said to bring my info and my wife's info up there and we could get a minivan or SUV using both of our info. I was concerned since she had just purchased her car from DriveTime in February so I was surprised that she could qualify for another car again so soon but he said it would be fine and we needed a van. So we made the trek up there today. We had to get a special babysitter since my son has special needs; it's a big deal.

We get there and apparently I had called another St Louis location because the location we went to didn't know what I was talking about with regards to my info and such. The man who helped us was nice though and looked into it all. He said no, my wife couldn't be on a new loan at all since it had only been a few months. Okay. Then he said he couldn't count the adoption subsidy of over $1600 a month that we receive because it comes in my name and my wife's name. I explained that they didn't use that towards her income when she bought her car but I guess that didn't matter. He did tell me I could do a lease vehicle and there were two I could pick from. They weren't at his location but at another St Louis location about 45 minutes away. He had me and my wife go with another employee up to the other location to pick up one of the two vehicles.

To say they were in rough condition would be a gross understatement. The first vehicle smelled... bad. The door handles in the back seat had been chewed up from what I'm assuming was a dog. The seats were stained, the headliner was stained, the exterior looked like it had been beaten and scraped up. To top it off, it made a horrible beeping noise when we tried to leave with it which caused us to have to stay while someone figured it out. We looked at the other lease vehicle and while it initially looked okay, it too was stained up and somehow was missing the center console lid amongst other issues. I couldn't see paying the over $12K asked for either vehicle so we had to make the long 45 minute trip back to the original location with no vehicle.

The original salesman was busy so we stood there for a few minutes thinking the manager (I assume that's who he is) who sat there watching us would offer some sort of apology for the condition of the vehicles but instead nobody said a word to us. I'm assuming there's a lesson to be learned here somehow but I don't know what it is yet. I paid over $80 for a special babysitter; spent most of my day going to, from and all over St Louis, and left feeling embarrassed and stupid for having tried to buy a vehicle. That's not exactly the experience I had hoped for.

Hello Larry,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to leave your service review. We appreciate all forms of feedback from our customers, whether it be positive or negative, as it aids us in making improvements to our business. I am deeply sorry to hear that you left feeling dissatisfied with your overall DriveTime experience. We strive to be thorough and transparent with our customers regarding all aspects of their purchase prior to sale, and it is unfortunate that you left feeling otherwise.

Regarding the mechanical issues, please know that each one of our vehicles is inspected prior to sale in an effort to prevent situations such as these. However, being that DriveTime is in the business of selling pre-owned vehicles, it is very difficult for us to determine exactly if or when mechanical issues may arise. For this reason, each vehicle sold from our lot includes an initial 30-day/1,500-mile warranty, in addition to the optional extended vehicle service contract.

I also want to apologize if you left feeling dissatisfied in regards to the pricing available. DriveTime understands that many consumers are weary about how a dealership prices their vehicles, which is why we disclose our prices online and post them on every vehicle for sale at our dealerships. We also invest, on average, over $1,200 in parts and labor in every vehicle we sell to ensure it meets our standards, an amount representing 10% or more of the NADA value of the vehicles. We utilize NADA Retail Suggested Value when evaluating our pricing, which is within the “fair market range” displayed on the “Buy from a Dealer” page on Kelly Blue Book (KBB).

I want to thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback. I understand that you have already communicated with our Customer Relations team, and your mechanical concerns have been addressed. If you are in need of further assistance, please feel free to contact my Customer Relations team at (888) 290-0148.

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: June 10, 2017

I bought a 2006 LaCrosse from DriveTime back in March 2016 and it was in the shop more than I had it. Motor started knocking 3000 miles later. Took two weeks to get it back then the muffler broke and put a hole in the gas tank. They then decided since the gas tank would be 900.00 they would flat bed it back and take what was paid toward another which was in July of 2016.

I ended up getting a Kia Optima and issues with it also. The truck popped open 3 different times. Turned out had damage back there and the sway bar link under the front started making noise. They didn't want to fix either. Both times had to go through the CFPB to get results. Nothing but liars. The warranty means nothing and the cars are overpriced. My Kia came out to 15000 and is now only worth 4000. Stay away from these ripoffs.

Hello Reginald,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sincerely sorry for any frustration you have experienced. If you are having payment related concerns, I encourage you to reach out to your loan servicing provider, Bridgecrest. They will be able to discuss this situation and see what assistance options may be available for you. You may contact them at their Facebook here: www.facebook.com/bridgecrest. Alternatively, you may contact their Customer Service Department at 800-967-8526.

Andrew - Customer Relations

Original review: June 9, 2017

The prices are way too high and the customer service is way too pushy and harassing. They changed to another company for billing without notice. If you had auto pay with the original DriveTime your account was stopped and you had to re-register with the new billing, but they never notified you!! You found out when your credit score dropped because of these unorganized so-called car sharks. Better off getting a car from the newspaper or Craigslist. DriveTime absolutely sucks!!!

This is the first auto business I have encountered that does not promise everything to get you in the door and then hit you with a bunch of double talk. Customer service to this point has been great. Philip and Justin were a great help and got me into the vehicle I needed. I would definitely buy from DriveTime again.

Patricia was great, she was knowledgeable and very sweet. A few minor, but costly, issues I found with the car after my 5 miles was usually. Turns out there was 5 nails in the driver side back tire and the passenger side tire, fortunately no nails, needs to be replaced as well since upon closer look has sidewall issues and needs to be replaced very soon as well. It has obviously been driven on flat. The front tires are newer and in good shape, although they could use a balance. A few minor annoyances like the lack of floor mats are easy to overlook, but the half ** wax job wasn't immediately noticeable and a little harder to overlook as there is a slimy residue at the bottom of the rear hatch that clings to your hand if you make the mistake of closing the hatch by grabbing the outside of it, which is easier and more natural the using the handles on the inside meant for it.

I honestly didn't expect any of these problems from a national chain with DriveTime's reputation. Unfortunately I was in a hurry that day or I would have inspected the tires more closely. Attention to detail goes a long way, I was mainly concerned with mechanical condition of the car that day and fortunately it is very sound mechanically.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We traveled from North Dakota to South Carolina to buy the perfect car and we could not be happier. The staff was amazing and the whole process was seamless. Thanks for a wonderful experience. We will be back for our next car purchase. Thanks Meechelle and everyone else that assisted us.

Hello Kendale,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to write your review. I am very sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your DriveTime experience thus far due to the issues you had experienced with your tires and tail light shortly after purchase.

Please know that we try to prevent issues such as these by inspecting each of our vehicles prior to sale. However, as we work with pre-owned vehicles, we are unable to determine if or when mechanical issues may arise. For this reason, each vehicle sold from our lot includes an initial 30-day/1,500 mile limited warranty, in addition to the optional extended vehicle service contract that is available to our financing customers.

That being said, I want to apologize again for any frustration this situation may have caused. If you are in need of further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to my Customer Relations team at (888) 290-0148.

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: May 30, 2017

I came into DriveTime prepared with what I was looking for because I live in a city two hours away and I did not want to waste any time. I took a look at a few cars. I wish they were detailed and cleaned before and some cars did not even crack up because the battery had died I was told. But it took forever for the paperwork to go through and when I did the walk through I had noticed the front tire was low and I was told that air would be put in it and when it came back it had air in it. But when I got in the car the air pressure light was on. I was told that I have to ride in order for the system to recalibrate and I did ride all the way back home two hours and the light didn't go off. So my dada checked the pressure and it was 10 pounds lower than the specs. And one of my tail lights did not light up. This was my first car I have purchased for the lot. Just had higher expectations.

The salespeople were very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to give us the best deal there, everything was explained several times in detail. I would recommend DriveTime to anyone looking to buy a new car. I would like to commend Garris in Temple store for all his help in our purchase.

The cleanliness of the vehicle was not good at all. Whoever cleans the vehicle don't do a good or adequate job. At least a good vacuum could have been done on the vehicle. In addition I am hearing a clicking in the engine and I feel that it will lead to trouble real soon.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had an awesome experience at DriveTime. Jordan ** went above and beyond to get me a vehicle. It was the first time I bought one and he made it very pleasurable. He even sang and danced for us. It made me feel more relaxed and not as nervous as I was when I got there. Thanks to the whole team for being so nice!! Thank you DriveTime. I will definitely recommend them.

I had a very good experience with DriveTime. Amber helped me through the whole process and made sure she got me into the car I wanted. I would recommend DriveTime to all my friends and Family. DriveTime really is the best and hopefully when I need a new car I will choose DriveTime.

Excellent customer service! Christopher ** was very knowledgeable about the vehicles we look at. He also patient when it came to the decision process. Most dealers are not as patient and laid back as he was. He worked hard to help get what we wanted and in the car in a timely manner.

I walk in the door of DriveTime for the first time as was greeted and welcome by an agent name Mauve. She served me with the highest integrity and professionalism. My process went smoothly and timely. I would recommend anyone looking for a vehicle to go to DriveTime. Thank you Kayce for your hospitality and my choice of a great vehicle.

I had a wonderful experience. Thanks Marcus **. I was a little disappointed to learn that I would be responsible for my own property taxes and tag expenses. I assume it was because I purchased out of state. Otherwise, great experience.

I had a wonderful experience at DriveTime. Laura ** from the Mechanicsville Turnpike. Laura was great from beginning to end. I got the car that I wanted and am very happy. I would recommend DriveTime to anyone who is looking for a vehicle.

I had a wonderful experience. Everyone was helpful. I would gladly recommend anyone purchase their vehicle here. The employees made me feel comfortable with my decision on my purchase. I think the employees should continue with the wonderful job they're doing.

Everyone was courteous and professional. The only thing I was disappointed with was that they added warranty and gap insurance without asking me first or discussing with me until the last minute. Almost like I didn't have a choice. Other than that, I was happy with how fast the process was.

Hi Clyde,

We are very excited to hear that you had a great experience! At DriveTime we aim to be competitive with our pricing and are glad you found it satisfactory. Thank you for your business and we look forward to being your preferred dealer in the future!

Thanks,

Original review: May 28, 2017

I went to DriveTime a few years ago to get a vehicle because of my bad credit, the process was seamless. I went back a week ago to discuss getting a new vehicle! The process was even more seamless and easy! I picked it out, the vehicle was moved to that store the next day and I had the down payment a few days later. I've found a place that will always have my business now!

Hello Trinada,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sincerely sorry that you had experienced any such situation while at one of our dealerships. I want to assure you that we strive to provide only the utmost in customer service and your experience is not something that is typical for a DriveTime customer. Our dealership representatives make it a point to ensure that each and every person who walks through the door knows and feels that they are the best and most important part of DriveTime. Please know that we will look into this situation to see how we may use it as a training opportunity to improve upon our level of service. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I barely got acknowledgment when I walked through the door of DriveTime Houston NW Fwy dealer. When I finally did I was met by dealer Kelley **, who proceeded to ask me questions in the most condescending way. Almost like she was asking, "What do you want?" No smiles, not handshake, I mean the worst possible first impression I have ever encountered from any salesperson here on earth. I came to this specific DriveTime because I had done business there before and recently had a total loss and a check issued to me from my insurance, so I was ready to buy. Well I asked this woman about a specific car, she became annoyed and said, "What kind of THIS car?" I went back to my car to get my phone to Google exactly what car and she said, "I don't think we have any of those."

Then she asked, "Have you been to their dealership to check if they have their own car?" I was blown away at that point and knew right then and there I'd never spend a dime with this business again because my first experience wasn't really five star either. I really wanted to find this car and sat long enough through her weird uncomfortable facial expressions, some slightly long and piercing stares from across the desk, and condescending and most awkward conversation, until she finally found what I was looking for in the Gulf Bank area. I ask for a number out there and even that seem to bother her. She asked me, "You don't wanna get it here?" I want to say "H... NO!" But just said no, took a card, stood up and walked out of there as fast as I could.

Hey Samuel,

We are very excited to hear that you had a good experience! Here at DriveTime we strive to have an extensive selection so that all our customers can find the perfect vehicle. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you soon!

Sincerely,

Original review: May 28, 2017

My experience with DriveTime was very good! There was a great selection of cars to choose from with the budget I had! Michelle was super helpful in finding the right vehicle for me. Thanks for getting me on the road!

The dealership on Broad Street in Columbus Ohio was great. I had been turned down by Jeff ** and Ricart ** even though they approved me online before I went. Total waste of my time and this was my last hope. Jerrell could not have worked harder to get me approved. The interest rates are high but if you have credit issues that is to be expected. I have read complaints from people who bought 10-year-old cars and had problems. What do you expect... it is a 10-year-old used car! I would recommend to anyone who is in need to go here and ask for Jerrell.

Hello Wes,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to leave your review. I am deeply sorry to hear that your recent interaction with DriveTime left you feeling dissatisfied with the approval options provided to you during your visit to our dealership, as well as the vehicle itself.

Regarding the approval, please know that we aim to be as transparent as possible during the pre-approval process in order to ensure a productive dealership experience for our prospective customers. However, approval and down payment options are subject to change based on physical documentation provided to the dealership.

In regards to the vehicle issues, please know that we try to prevent situations such as these by inspecting our vehicles prior to sale. However, it can sometimes be very difficult to predict exactly if or when mechanical issues may arise due to the nature of pre-owned vehicles. For this reason, each vehicle sold from our lot includes an initial 30-day/1,500-mile limited warranty.

That said, I want to apologize again for any frustration you had experienced during your recent encounter with our company. If you are in need of further assistance, please feel free to contact my Customer Relations team at (888) 290-0148.

Original review: May 27, 2017

For weeks I checked online over and over looking for the right car. Finally found it in Mobile, called to make sure I could get the 2014 Chrysler 200 I feel in love with for the down payment approved online. Drove 2 hours, got there, loved the car, then was told I needed triple the down payment. Found and got another 200 for $100 more than the internet down payment, loved the car. Drove it home, had problems, called. Drove another 2 hours and had to settle for a car, not the make or model I was wanting. Very disappointed.

Selina ** was a pleasure to work with. She took the time and was very patient with me and my wife. We got the car we wanted and we are enjoying our new car. We would highly recommend DriveTime. Thank you very much.

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sincerely sorry for any dissatisfaction you have experienced when working with us. I want to assure you that we want all customers to feel comfortable with their vehicle, which is why we encourage each customer to thoroughly inspect their vehicle prior to signing the contract documents. Now we understand that customers may change their mind about a vehicle, which is why we have a 5 day Vehicle Return Program (VRP). This program allows a customer to return their vehicle within 5 calendar days, not including purchase date or Sundays, and receive their down payment in full. The vehicle must also be returned in the same condition it was purchased and the mileage should not exceed 300 from purchase. Should a customer partake in the program, we will begin the refund process immediately, however the speed of the refund greatly depends on how the initial payment was made. For credit card transactions, we are able to swipe the card at the dealership and initiate the refund right then and there. If the payment was made via cash or debit card, we must return the funds in the form of a check, in order to ensure all processes are validated. This process can typically take anywhere from 7-10 business days and is not meant to hinder the customer; we must ensure all funds are properly accounted for and refunded.

Again I apologize that this situation has dissuaded you from being a DriveTime customer. If any circumstances should change, we would love the opportunity to have you as a customer. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. My Customer Relations Department can be reached at 888-290-0148; hours of operation are 6 AM to 6 PM MST.

Original review: May 27, 2017

The new car I purchased had and smelled like vomit. Then they couldn't refund my money back to my debit card. Now I have to wait for a check. This is ridiculous. I will be putting a review up about this experience. I won't be doing business with DriveTime again.

Romond,

We are elated that you had a great experience! We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Thanks,

Britney

Original review: May 23, 2017

Mr. ** was extremely helpful and made everything so easy and he needs to get more money for how well he is. He explain everything to the T and we will be back to get another vehicle. THANKS AGAIN!!!! So if you guys are looking to get into a car this is the place to go and ask for ** he really great.

Jeff and Mallory were so helpful and very nice!!! No one there was pushing you into anything (like the "normal sales" people at other places). They also stayed later than they were supposed so I could get the car I wanted. So my overall experience was awesome!!! Thank you again and I would definitely recommend you to family and friends!!

Overall satisfied with service and rep (Ryan) who assisted me in the process of purchasing a vehicle. Made the whole process seem seamless from start to end. Even when there was an issue with my insurance company Ryan look for solutions to complete the purchase.

Juan was very help and treated us with respect. More often when you have a life event that cause you to have credit problems. At most places you are treated like a second rate person. Juan was not like this. I had a great experience and love my new to me SUV.

I had a great experience with my car! Mewan was very informative and got me into the perfect car. He even stayed after close finish my paperwork all because I got lost on my way down and was late my appointment.

The salesmen were friendly and courteous. He provided a great buying experience. The best part was it didn't take all day!!! The other associates were great as well. I was greeted at the door and helped immediately. I couldn't ask for a better experience.

DriveTime Company Profile