Call toll free
4.20/5
Based on 689 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

DriveTime Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

5812 DriveTime Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

The salesmen are not pushy and are really understanding. They don't make you feel bad if you don't have the best credit. You may not get a low payment and APR that you are wanting but if you don't have the best credit like me, it's at least nice to you I can go somewhere for a car when you need one. We love our new car, thanks again for your help.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 21, 2018

This was a pleasant and easy experience. The guys at DriveTime were friendly and extremely helpful. I walked out with little hassle and the Fair Deal. If you only have Fair Credit this is the place you need to go to get a car. They will work with you and report to the credit bureaus to help you build your credit.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have terrible credit. I came to DriveTime and had an amazing experience. Scott ** was amazing. He communicated well and kept me Informed on everything that was happening. He was professional and funny. Justin, the sales manager was great as well. He helped me out as well. He was also very professional and courteous. Rivergate DriveTime helped me when no one else would and I very much appreciate it.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I didn’t know what to expect when purchasing a car through DriveTime but my sales person PJ at the SW Houston location made my experience an awesome one. He truly went above and beyond for me, even down to washing my car himself before I left. I would recommend absolutely anyone to work with him because he would get the job done with a smile on his face. He makes the customer feel special and gives his undivided attention.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I was very reluctant to purchase from Drive Time after hearing so many horror stories, to my surprise the process was amazingly fast and simple. My sales rep Cody ** made it the best auto buying experience I never knew I needed. Thanks, Cody. She is gonna save me a ton on gas.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: July 21, 2018

It was a great experience. Ben was my salesman and was exceptional in everything that had to be done. He was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. I will recommend DriveTime to all my friends. Thank you very much.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Purchased a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 2 years ago. Christopher my car Salesman was wonderful. I was satisfied overall with the buying process. A couple of weeks ago I was involved in an accident and my car was totaled off. I'm fully aware that Drivetime advertises a TLP (Total Loss Program) that is supposed to be designed to help customers finance another vehicle after a car has been deemed a total loss for little to no money down. On several occasions I have contacted Bridgecrest about this program.

They have no clue about this program. So I decide to wait until my insurance has paid the book value of my vehicle. My insurance company has paid Bridgecrest. Gap claim is currently in process. I put in an application to finance again through Drivetime and is given a downpayment option of 2295. At this point I'm guessing that the TLP is one big gimmick. Little to no money down is 500 or less not 2295. I really wanted to stay with Drivetime but to advertise that program and not honor it is very shady. 2000 down is a lot for older model high mileage vehicles. So basically no TLP. I'm being treated like a brand new customer and 2295 is definitely not little to no money down. Be careful about how you advertise. It's very misleading.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2018

We went into DriveTime in Macon on a Thursday and spoke with Adam... We found a car we liked, we planned to come back the next day to sign and get the keys. We came in the next day and they couldn't find our key??? (Adam was out.) We sat and waited for 30 MINUTES before they told us they couldn't find the key!!! Then they say "well, we can put you in something else." Okay, that's fine. BUT they were trying to put me in a COMPACT CAR!! We have two small boys that are in car seats... We needed something with A LITTLE room. That's all we asked.

They put us in a 2014 Mazda 3 Sport. It was nice... BUT it ran rough as HELL!! And was EXTREMELY small!! My 3 year old screamed the entire time back to Drivetime to return the car. When we returned (the very next day) we tell them that we weren't happy with the car or the way we were treated the previous day. They then try and put us in another vehicle which was a 2013 Kia Forte... We then sat for 2 1/2 hrs before we actually signed paperwork. After that, we just decided we would keep the Forte. We were tired of fooling with them at that point, but we needed a car ASAP which we like this car now BUT like I said at the beginning... We would LIKE something with a little more leg room.

Hello Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to share about this experience. I want to apologize for the frustration that this has caused both you and your family. Please know that we strive to help our customers into a vehicle that fits their needs and lifestyle. In addition, we also want to ensure that our customers are set up for success financially and will show vehicle options that best for their budgets.

Please know that we value all feedback, both positive and negative, and we will be using your feedback to help improve upon our level of service. Should you request to discuss your situation further, please contact our Customer Relations Department at 888-290-0148. Thank you again for your time.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 17, 2018

I purchased a 2008 Sierra pickup December 2017, having it for 7 months now, both wheel wells on bed are rusted through and bumper is also rusting through. DriveTime will not fix anything. The place they told me to take it to told me all issues were pre existing, wheel wells had been repaired before. I would never recommend DriveTime to anyone, they sold me a piece of overpriced junk.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for writing your review and I truly apologize for the frustration you have experienced in regards to the condition of your current vehicle.

The vehicles sold from DriveTime are pre-owned and as a result there are times where mechanical concerns may arise post-sale. For this reason every vehicle sold from DriveTime comes with a 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty, along with the optional Vehicle Service Contract, to assist in these situations.

At this time it appears you are current working with our Customer Relations department, and I would encourage you to keep in communication with our team at (800) 965-8043.

Respectfully,

Jodi-Customer Relations

Original review: July 16, 2018

Excellent experience, Matt, Nate, Josh and the other Matt did a great job all the way around. What I was told on the phone is exactly what I received in the paperwork. They all did an excellent job and I think they enjoyed it also.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Charles was a great sales rep however, when I called in advance to let the dealership know that I was en-route and wanted to re-verify that I didn't need anything additionally (monetarily or document wise), I was strongly mislead. It took HOURS to close the contract and I had to cough up an additional $300.00. When you tell someone something and have it in writing it is very bad business to re-nig on your word in person and then expect someone to furnish additional funds. There was no real compromise or help from the bank. Leon, the gentleman who took care of the contract in Charles' absence was nice enough but I was/am really upset that I was mislead and the mishap was on the dealership end.

Be better to your customers. Stand by your word and if you can't then make it right by offsetting the additional fees with offering a lower interest rate or compensating somehow to balance out the additional cost incurred. In the end I wound up signing a contract spending an additional $1000.00. Leon did not take into consideration that I did not want to purchase an additional $695.00 GPS crap fee and had to cough up an additional $300.00. Frustrated is an understatement but just glad it is over.

Hello Lillian,

Thank you bringing this to my attention. I want to sincerely apologize that you have encountered this experience during your purchase. Please know that we take all feedback seriously, and we will utilize this information to improve our customer experience at our dealership.

In regard to the financing and cost, please know that all of our pricing is non-negotiable through any of our dealership representatives as well as the bank providing financing. Please know we do attempt to provide clear expectations both prior to the purchase of a DriveTime vehicle as well as during the contracting process, and we are truly sorry if this did not occur. If you have any questions or further feedback, please feel free to contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Thank you for helping me get a car I didn't even think I could afford. I have a beautiful car that I dreamed of and literally all of my nerves are gone. I'm so thankful. It was so easy and longest part was finding a car I loved, which we did. Chike was amazing and helped me along each step. Again, thank you so much!! I had a great experience buying this car and am so happy with it!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I must say that I had a great experience and they were very patient with me. I am very picky and I can honestly say I saw over 10 cars before I found what I love (2015 Ford Fusion). I would like to thank everyone!!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Would have liked the car clean when picking it up. Other than that, great experience. Salesman was extremely helpful and the selection was good. The only other negative thing would be the amount of deposit money some of the vehicles required.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Fantastic and Professional Care. I was greeted immediately and there was zero pressure. I got the car I wanted (2015 Dodge Dart) at a fair price and the entire office made me feel valued. I was and am very pleased and will recommend DriveTime to everyone!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Just purchased a 2014 Nissan Sentra approx 4-5 months car. Purchase gap insurance & full coverage insurance. Car was hit in bumper. Car declare total lost. Went back to DriveTime and Bridgecrest for new loan. Never late on last loan, now being told have to pay double the amount of last down payment. I'm only been told finance company changed requirements.

Hello Jacqueline,

Thank you for providing your review and I am so sorry to hear of your current situation regarding the total loss of your current vehicle. I apologize if there was any miscommunication prior to you visiting the dealership in search of a replacement vehicle.

However, in order for us to place you into another vehicle, the process would be treated as a new sale which would require proper documentation be brought in to the dealership including proof of income and proof of residency. Our goal is to provide everyone the opportunity to apply for a vehicle and if approved to help place them into a vehicle of their liking with loan terms structured to that customer’s individual situation. We strive to provide the best in customer service along with setting up our customers for financial success.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our Customer Relations department at (800)965-8043.

Respectfully,

Jodi-Customer Relations

Original review: July 15, 2018

When I got there right away I was greeted and the service was great. Chris explained everything to us, all the add on options and it was a quick process which helps when you have a 4 year old with you.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Very patient with us, going back and forth to help with the financing. Showed other vehicles. Ian and Bryan at the Shadeland Avenue office were very good. They were fast yet efficient. They were not pushy. They knew what they were doing. I would highly recommend and refer them.

Original review: July 12, 2018

If I could give 0 stars I would. They are big time scammers. They took my money and stole my car in the middle of the night by using a gps they made me get, and refuse to give it back. So now I am without a car and can’t get to work. Everyone else that has gone here told me they were ripped off as well. PLEASE invest a little more money and go somewhere that is not sketchy.

Hello Harley,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. I want to apologize deeply for the frustrations that you have encountered. Please know that all of our loan servicing is handled by Bridgecrest, our finance partner.

However, due to the concern that this has brought you, I would like to look into this situation further. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate an account with the details that you have provided. At your earliest convenience, please contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was treated very nice at the dealership. Marcus was our salesman and he was very helpful. We got the car we wanted and the customer service was great. The atmosphere was uplifting and everyone seemed to enjoy their jobs. I would recommend maybe some more refreshments in the waiting area but overall a very good place to purchase a vehicle. Thank you. Have a blessed day.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We purchased a 2011 Ford Fusion over 2 years ago from the ORL FL store, amazing experience! Most recently we just purchased a 2012 Chevy Camaro and the experience was incredible! A big thanks to Julian ** for finding the car we wanted!

Original review: July 9, 2018

Customer service at DriveTime was very nice to me and the time it took to purchase my car was good. I thank DriveTime employee for my car and their experience. With the experience I had I would buy another car from DriveTime again.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I was hesitant about going directly to a dealer to get a car financed for myself. I had a great experience & the process was so smooth. I love my new car and DriveTime will be my go to lot to find a car. I highly recommend.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Not really happy. They fudged my credit score numbers. I checked it that evening and it was 60 points high than what they said which have gotten me a better interest rate. But I didn’t have much choice needed. The car for my family, I feel I got **. I will not recommend them or buy there again. I will be refinancing somewhere else in 6 months!

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. I want to apologize that your experience caused you to view DriveTime in a negative light. Please know that we aquire our customers credit score directly from the three credit bureaus and it is not subject for us to change. I apologize again for the frustration that this caused and encourage you to reach out to my Customer Relations team directly at (888)290-0148.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Christina ** is an awesome person. She made us feel like family. They go beyond what needs to be done. The car was clean. I would send anyone down there to get a car. Thanks to DriveTime for the help us getting the car and caring for people.

Original review: July 8, 2018

We went to DriveTime in St Louis yesterday to get a car. I was very disappointed because I was misled on the phone that I would not need a down payment. Then we drove all that way only to be told that we had to have $1,500.00 down. It is such a scam!

Hello Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. I want to apologize for the frustration you have encountered. Please know that while we do offer out online pre-approval and also provide information regarding our pre-approvals via phone, all approvals are subject to verification of documentation and chosen vehicle. I want to apologize if this was not appropriately conveyed to you prior to your visit. If you have any question, please feel free to reach out to my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Good service, The staff is very attentive and kind. buy a SUV Acura MDX in very good condition. I would recommend that they try to deliver the clean vehicles and... Más I would recommend that they try to deliver the clean vehicles and with gasoline. It is the only complaint I have since they gave me the dirty car and without gas. It is the first time I bought a car and they delivered it to me. Comentarios Cambiar a Español. The employees Yelitza and Luis gave me an excellent service.

Original review: July 8, 2018

As a first time buyer, my experience was easy and comforting. Yamilet was my sales rep and she was very quick and efficient with her sales techniques. Everything was explained in detail and I left with little to no questions. Would recommend to anyone on the market for a new vehicle.

Original review: July 8, 2018

The customer service was exceptional. Everything was great and I love my new car. First car I ever purchase on my own. I will definitely make DriveTime my number one car purchase. Thanks to all the sales associates that made it happen for me.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Camisha was very good and patient. She made my 19th birthday great. I really love my 2015 Ford Fusion. THANK YOU SO MUCH CAMI??? I really appreciate the call I received to know how I’m liking the car!!!

DriveTime Company Information