4.4/5 (566 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About DriveTime

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

Pros

• Quick application process
  • 5-day return guarantee
  • Options for poor credit and no credit

Cons

• Interest rates on the higher end

Bottom Line

DriveTime specializes in used vehicles for people with poor or no credit. Good customer service and a quick application process make up for the fact exact interest rates aren’t available on their website.

Top DriveTime Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was right on, upbeat, extremely helpful and gave me exactly what I asked for and everything I wanted in and with the car. Went over the car with me and made sure ...

Verified

I had a great experience at DriveTime. They let me pick the car I want and ask me how much I would like to put down and they were so friendly and nice. Had a great time buying one...

What is DriveTime?

DriveTime.com is an online car buying site with 138 accompanying physical dealerships nationwide. DriveTime specializes in providing auto financing for people with weak credit or no credit. It just takes two minutes to fill out an online application and see if DriveTime can work with you to get the right car. Unlike some online car buying sites, DriveTime owns all of its dealerships, so it knows the vehicles they are selling.

How does DriveTime work?

The salespeople at DriveTime are salaried employees, relieving pressure on their part to make a sale. Instead, they are focused on providing customers with the most useful information possible. The DriveTime website has a wealth of resources on credit scores, auto financing and personal savings goals. You can search for the nearest DriveTime location on their website to view cars in person.

DriveTime used car inventory

As of this writing, the DriveTime inventory was 13,000 strong. With 13,000 vehicles to choose from at 138 DriveTime locations, you’ll have no shortage of choices. When you’re looking at cars online with DriveTime, you can view their safety ratings, features,  mileage and Kelley Blue Book pricing. DriveTime also accepts trade-ins.

DriveTime payment

All financing for a DriveTime purchase is done in-house, and they are open to accepting any credit score, including no credit at all. DriveTime down payments will vary based on the price of the vehicle and the customer’s financial situation. The 45-day hold on vehicles allows customers time to gather their down payment before officially paying for the car.

DriveTime features

Other features from DriveTime include:

• Two-minute online approval: All you have to do is enter some basic information, and in a few minutes you’ll know whether or not you’ve been approved for DriveTime financing.
  • Free AutoCheck vehicle history reports: To see the full history of your vehicle and make sure it hasn’t been in any accidents, just view the AutoCheck report that comes with every DriveTime vehicle.
  • Rigorous inspection process: Every DriveTime vehicle undergoes strict inspection to ensure it is in good working condition.
  • 5-day return policy: If you are dissatisfied with your vehicle for whatever reason, you can return it to DriveTime within 5 days.
  • 45-day holds for vehicles: Having trouble scrounging up a down payment? A 45-day hold allows you time to gather up the money you need to make a down payment.
  • Vehicle delivery: If you find a vehicle you like at a DriveTime location that isn’t the one nearest to you, DriveTime can ship it to a closer location.
  • Complimentary 30-day/1,500-mile warranty: This warranty will help keep you covered in case of an unexpected breakdown or another malfunction of the vehicle.
  • Range of options for down payments: Depending on your current financial situation, DriveTime can allow for varying amounts of down payments.

DriveTime FAQ

Is DriveTime a buy here pay here?
Yes. You can apply for financing through a DriveTime location, which makes it a buy here pay here (BHPH) dealership.
What is DriveTime Select?
Also called the DriveTime CHAMP program, DriveTime Select rewards customers for paying off their auto loan balances.
Does DriveTime work with bad credit?
Yes. DriveTime specializes in selling vehicles to people with bad credit.
Does DriveTime take trade-ins?
DriveTime does accept trade-ins. You can have your car appraised in person and decide if you want to trade it in.
Does DriveTime have GPS on their cars?
Yes. DriveTime uses GPS to keep track of a vehicle’s location.

Is DriveTime good?

DriveTime is a good option for people who have either no credit or less than optimal credit. DriveTime has more than just a wide array of used cars at fair prices. Additional features like a five-day vehicle return policy and a 30-day/1,500 limited warranty make it a solid choice for your next vehicle purchase.

DriveTime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Not much I could write could show how much I would recommend these guys to anyone. I bought a vehicle I'm 100% satisfied with at a very competitive price. Braddah Stephen ** was my sales agent, and his service was the best I've ever had for any significant purchase. Not only was he very friendly, genuine, and honest about every detail, including vehicle history and condition (which I have since verified multiple times with mechanics), he and the office staff took extra steps to ensure I had the best experience possible. He even washed and shined up the car for me before I drove her off the lot, and has checked up since to see how I am enjoying the vehicle. Stephen and the other staff were very welcoming, and being a non-car-purchasing newbie, I could tell they were genuine about everything involved in the purchase. There was no pressure whatsoever, and the explanation of products and services (like the extended warranty), were clear and easy to understand.

This Drive Time is smaller than the neighboring Carmax, at which I went right beforehand and was thoroughly unimpressed. The Carmax salesman was exactly that: just trying to push things on me rapidly without taking time to make sure I understood or heard him, and after driving a very overpriced vehicle at Carmax which was of far less quality than the one I purchased at Drive Time, I would say that Drive Time (which appears humbler and of less stock than Carmax), blew them out of the water. I would recommend this Drive Time and all its staff I've met (particularly Stephen) to anyone out there who just wants an honest experience and a decent car. Awesome job Stephen and everyone, and thank you so much for my incredible car!

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I bought my 1st car at DriveTime and had SUCH AN incredible experience with Marshall ** of the Athens Georgia drivetime location that I absolutely refused to deal with any other employee for my second purchase and even held off on my purchase and scheduled my day off to go to drivetime when Marshall was working. Not that the other employees were anything but incredibly friendly and helpful...it's just that Marshall ** goes above and beyond to work on the customer's wants and needs to get them in a car that they both love and can afford.

Most dealership salespeople make me feel like they're sharks in the water with the sole interest of getting the most $$ out of me possible. Marshall displays deep concern with helping me get a car to fit my budget AND. That I love. I told all my friends looking for a car..SEARCH NO FURTHER than Marshall ** at athens drivetime. You'll drive away happy and confident Guaranteed! Thanks again Marshall **. You were as always..a PLEASURE to interact with. Wish you all the best and SOMEBODY please GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE! He works hard for your company and deserves it!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I was greeted by John Saturday August 7th at the Kissimmee Drivetime location. And I am happy I was paired with. John made the entire process seamless with his easygoing attitude. John was personable, friendly and very informative. He listened to every concern and needs I was looking for in a trade in. John wasn’t the only representative there that guided me through the process… I was also helped by Luis whose customer service was also matched with John. What a combination I was paired with and I couldn’t be more happier.

I was given sound advice and help through the entire process. I was given many options until I felt comfortable with my decision at the end and there was NO pushing for me to make a decision I wasn’t comfortable with. John made sure I understood each document I was signing and if I had any questions, he actively listened to them. This has been the best experience I’ve had with purchasing a car and the best service I’ve received from anywhere in a very long time. John and Luis made a terrific team and I would do it all over again with that particular team.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Late yesterday, I had a 5pm appointment, I had arrived about 30mins early. Dealership worker “Ilia” greeted us as we were looking at a vehicle on the lot I previously seen online, she was very nice and respectful, and asked if we needed any help. I told her I was here early for an appointment I have at 5pm, she then excitedly told us to come in and she will get us started. The whole process from start to finish, then signing, was literally amazing. She literally verified all my information, she was quick, then told me the cars I could choose from and was super patient as I was making my decision. After I made my decision, she literally got us in and out within 2 1/2 hours, but part of that was because my insurance company took their sweet time getting a rep on the phone.

Budge friendly, outstanding monthly payments, She literally made this car buy experience a one to remember, I kid you not I’ve never had a car buying experience like this, she literally help the whole way through, went over every detail and then some. Absolutely best experience hands down. BIG THANKS TO “ILIA” for an amazing encounter, and everything you’ve done and went over and beyond. There’s literally been many dealerships I been to, and none tops DriveTime experience!! If I could rate more stars I certainly would without a doubt. I highly recommend anyone that had about a $1000 or more for downpayment, should come down to DriveTime, and hope you get the same experience out of the process as I did!!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

A good place to go for people who have decent verifiable income, but are hindered by sub-prime credit ratings. The payment & APR are on the high side, but that's to be expected with a sub-prime car loan. However, as long as you have good income, they will get you into a decent vehicle. If you can afford a

solid downpayment, the loan length & terms become much more desirable. You must understand & accept that if you let your credit go bad, & want a car dealer to loan you money, it's a risk to them, a risk that Drivetime will take, but in turn, they want more $ down & more of a security interest from you, such as autopay & bank statement verification.

If you do things right at Drivetime, meaning have a solid downpayment & don't let your salesperson trick you into things you do not need or can't afford, & you keep to your contract as agreed, you can easily walk out of there with a nice vehicle at a halfway decent price & payment within 2 hours. An added benefit is the fact that they do full credit reporting to all 3 agency's every month. So it can & will improve your auto-credit score drastically after 12 months or so of on time payments. The staff at my location was friendly, attentive, fast, & efficient despite being pretty crowded at the time, I never felt neglected. Overall a good experience, I needed another car, they gave me a nice one, & the loan terms were better than initially expected.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Easy and fast. Great customer service! Got the vehicle I wanted! Everything was explained thoroughly! The down payment was low and monthly payment was exactly what I wanted! My sales was friendly and did a great job! Drove off the lot very happy. Thank yall!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

10/10 customer service. I got all my questions answered, and I was very happy when I walked out of there. I know Jason helped me the entire time and walked me through the process. If it weren’t for him, I would not have gotten my car from there. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Trevor let me test drive as many vehicles as I felt like I needed to find the right one. I am so happy with the vehicle that I selected, and Trevor made the buying process so easy and seamless. I would definitely recommend Drive Time to my friends and family. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Josh was an excellent and patient sales associate. He answered all of my questions. The price I got for my trade-in was a little less than what the Kelly Blue Book quoted me, but overall, all went well and my family and I are very excited and hoping for a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Anthony ** is a really great asset to your company. He is very friendly, Knowledgeable, and patient. He answered all my questions and was very very kind no matter how many times I had to have him repeat something. I would definitely recommend Drivetime for a car.

DriveTime Company Information