2. Automotive

4.4/5 (585 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About DriveTime

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

Pros

• Quick application process
  • 5-day return guarantee
  • Options for poor credit and no credit

Cons

• Interest rates on the higher end

Bottom Line

DriveTime specializes in used vehicles for people with poor or no credit. Good customer service and a quick application process make up for the fact exact interest rates aren’t available on their website.

Top DriveTime Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was right on, upbeat, extremely helpful and gave me exactly what I asked for and everything I wanted in and with the car. Went over the car with me and made sure ...

Verified

I had a great experience at DriveTime. They let me pick the car I want and ask me how much I would like to put down and they were so friendly and nice. Had a great time buying one...

What is DriveTime?

DriveTime.com is an online car buying site with 138 accompanying physical dealerships nationwide. DriveTime specializes in providing auto financing for people with weak credit or no credit. It just takes two minutes to fill out an online application and see if DriveTime can work with you to get the right car. Unlike some online car buying sites, DriveTime owns all of its dealerships, so it knows the vehicles they are selling.

How does DriveTime work?

The salespeople at DriveTime are salaried employees, relieving pressure on their part to make a sale. Instead, they are focused on providing customers with the most useful information possible. The DriveTime website has a wealth of resources on credit scores, auto financing and personal savings goals. You can search for the nearest DriveTime location on their website to view cars in person.

DriveTime used car inventory

As of this writing, the DriveTime inventory was 13,000 strong. With 13,000 vehicles to choose from at 138 DriveTime locations, you’ll have no shortage of choices. When you’re looking at cars online with DriveTime, you can view their safety ratings, features,  mileage and Kelley Blue Book pricing. DriveTime also accepts trade-ins.

DriveTime payment

All financing for a DriveTime purchase is done in-house, and they are open to accepting any credit score, including no credit at all. DriveTime down payments will vary based on the price of the vehicle and the customer’s financial situation. The 45-day hold on vehicles allows customers time to gather their down payment before officially paying for the car.

DriveTime features

Other features from DriveTime include:

• Two-minute online approval: All you have to do is enter some basic information, and in a few minutes you’ll know whether or not you’ve been approved for DriveTime financing.
  • Free AutoCheck vehicle history reports: To see the full history of your vehicle and make sure it hasn’t been in any accidents, just view the AutoCheck report that comes with every DriveTime vehicle.
  • Rigorous inspection process: Every DriveTime vehicle undergoes strict inspection to ensure it is in good working condition.
  • 5-day return policy: If you are dissatisfied with your vehicle for whatever reason, you can return it to DriveTime within 5 days.
  • 45-day holds for vehicles: Having trouble scrounging up a down payment? A 45-day hold allows you time to gather up the money you need to make a down payment.
  • Vehicle delivery: If you find a vehicle you like at a DriveTime location that isn’t the one nearest to you, DriveTime can ship it to a closer location.
  • Complimentary 30-day/1,500-mile warranty: This warranty will help keep you covered in case of an unexpected breakdown or another malfunction of the vehicle.
  • Range of options for down payments: Depending on your current financial situation, DriveTime can allow for varying amounts of down payments.

DriveTime FAQ

Is DriveTime a buy here pay here?
Yes. You can apply for financing through a DriveTime location, which makes it a buy here pay here (BHPH) dealership.
What is DriveTime Select?
Also called the DriveTime CHAMP program, DriveTime Select rewards customers for paying off their auto loan balances.
Does DriveTime work with bad credit?
Yes. DriveTime specializes in selling vehicles to people with bad credit.
Does DriveTime take trade-ins?
DriveTime does accept trade-ins. You can have your car appraised in person and decide if you want to trade it in.
Does DriveTime have GPS on their cars?
Yes. DriveTime uses GPS to keep track of a vehicle’s location.

Is DriveTime good?

DriveTime is a good option for people who have either no credit or less than optimal credit. DriveTime has more than just a wide array of used cars at fair prices. Additional features like a 30-day warranty and 45-day vehicle hold make it a solid choice for your next vehicle purchase.

DriveTime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My husband and I stopped by to find a car for our daughter. We had been looking everywhere for a small good car for her but have had no luck. I am so glad we found y'all. When I first seen the Chevrolet Spark all I can think about was how I could really see my daughter in this car. We had Elyssa help us get into this car. I think that how spell her name. She was awesome. We went through everything so smoothly and she was so sweet. Very professional. She took real care of us. She was so friendly and so easy to talk to. She answered all our questions we asked with no problems and easy to understand. Thank you so much. I wish there was someone like her everywhere we go. The car was a surprise for our daughter going to college. She fell in love with it and I just wanted to tell Elyssa it fit her so awesome. It drives well and she is enjoying her car so much.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I was greeted by John Saturday August 7th at the Kissimmee Drivetime location. And I am happy I was paired with. John made the entire process seamless with his easygoing attitude. John was personable, friendly and very informative. He listened to every concern and needs I was looking for in a trade in. John wasn’t the only representative there that guided me through the process… I was also helped by Luis whose customer service was also matched with John. What a combination I was paired with and I couldn’t be more happier.

I was given sound advice and help through the entire process. I was given many options until I felt comfortable with my decision at the end and there was NO pushing for me to make a decision I wasn’t comfortable with. John made sure I understood each document I was signing and if I had any questions, he actively listened to them. This has been the best experience I’ve had with purchasing a car and the best service I’ve received from anywhere in a very long time. John and Luis made a terrific team and I would do it all over again with that particular team.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Late yesterday, I had a 5pm appointment, I had arrived about 30mins early. Dealership worker “Ilia” greeted us as we were looking at a vehicle on the lot I previously seen online, she was very nice and respectful, and asked if we needed any help. I told her I was here early for an appointment I have at 5pm, she then excitedly told us to come in and she will get us started. The whole process from start to finish, then signing, was literally amazing. She literally verified all my information, she was quick, then told me the cars I could choose from and was super patient as I was making my decision. After I made my decision, she literally got us in and out within 2 1/2 hours, but part of that was because my insurance company took their sweet time getting a rep on the phone.

Budge friendly, outstanding monthly payments, She literally made this car buy experience a one to remember, I kid you not I’ve never had a car buying experience like this, she literally help the whole way through, went over every detail and then some. Absolutely best experience hands down. BIG THANKS TO “ILIA” for an amazing encounter, and everything you’ve done and went over and beyond. There’s literally been many dealerships I been to, and none tops DriveTime experience!! If I could rate more stars I certainly would without a doubt. I highly recommend anyone that had about a $1000 or more for downpayment, should come down to DriveTime, and hope you get the same experience out of the process as I did!!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

A good place to go for people who have decent verifiable income, but are hindered by sub-prime credit ratings. The payment & APR are on the high side, but that's to be expected with a sub-prime car loan. However, as long as you have good income, they will get you into a decent vehicle. If you can afford a

solid downpayment, the loan length & terms become much more desirable. You must understand & accept that if you let your credit go bad, & want a car dealer to loan you money, it's a risk to them, a risk that Drivetime will take, but in turn, they want more $ down & more of a security interest from you, such as autopay & bank statement verification.

If you do things right at Drivetime, meaning have a solid downpayment & don't let your salesperson trick you into things you do not need or can't afford, & you keep to your contract as agreed, you can easily walk out of there with a nice vehicle at a halfway decent price & payment within 2 hours. An added benefit is the fact that they do full credit reporting to all 3 agency's every month. So it can & will improve your auto-credit score drastically after 12 months or so of on time payments. The staff at my location was friendly, attentive, fast, & efficient despite being pretty crowded at the time, I never felt neglected. Overall a good experience, I needed another car, they gave me a nice one, & the loan terms were better than initially expected.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

On 11/18/20 I purchased a 2016 Ford Fusion from Brian ** at your Mishawaka branch, this man went above and beyond the call of his job to not only get me approved to buy a car but to buy the car I wanted.. He worked with me very well over the phone and email to save me from wasting an hour's drive just to be told no.. He even had the thought to have a co worker call to check in with me on his day off..

I would HIGHLY recommend Brian and Drivetime.. I have very challenging credit to work with due to a very nasty and bitter divorce and Brian made it happen despite me not thinking he would be able to... And then he made a follow up call the day after my purchase to see if I had any questions about the car or transaction... SUCH a great guy.. And best of all .. He didn't use car salesman me... he didn't try to talk me into some piece of crap car I didn't really want so he could get his sale.. He worked his butt off to get me in the ride I wanted.. A++++. This man DESERVES a raise or promotion or both.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Esteven was my salesman, he was both brief and professional which I appreciated. He answered any questions I had. The car I ended up purchasing was one that he himself selected for me to look at, and it was an excellent choice. Shopping for a car at a dealership can easily be an unpleasant experience, but in this case it was as smooth and painless as could be. Thanks mainly to Esteven’s approach to sales.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Mrs. Georgia ** help me get into a car on Wednesday September 8, 2021. She was completely amazing from the moment I walked in with my sister. Outstanding service from her, she gave me a real personalized attention and I am so grateful she was my sales agent! She exceeded taking care of me. She is just amazing!!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I will never purchase a vehicle from them. I only had the car for a month and had to pay for repairs that wasn't my fault. Drivetime tells me they won't cover it. Silver Rock won't either. Come to find out, drive time does not do any thorough inspection on vehicles they purchase before selling them. Customer Relations told me this out of her own mouth. I can't wait to get rid of the lemon I purchased from them. This is the worst experience ever.

DriveTime response

Hello,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to write a review. I am torn to hear that you experienced mechanical issues shortly after your purchase.

Please know that we inspect each of our vehicles in an effort to avoid situations such as these. However, due to the nature of pre-owned vehicles, we are unable to predict when vehicle concerns may arise after the time of sale. For this reason, each vehicle includes an initial 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty, in addition to an optional Vehicle Service Contract that we offer at the time of sale for purchase.

That said, I want to apologize again for any frustration this situation has caused. If you have any questions or concerns that you would like to discuss with us directly, please reach out to our Customer Relations team at (888) 290-0148.

Kindly,

DriveTime Customer Relations

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Initially I checked your user friendly website for possible car options. I was able to schedule an appointment. We communicated via email and text. I received a checklist of documents required to process my purchase. That helped the purchase go smoothly. Tom met me and walked me through all information about the car and contract. He answered all my questions thoroughly. Tom is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I am happy to say I was able to drive away in my car within hours. Smiles all around.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Sold a lemon. Lawsuit to follow. Sold a vehicle that did not work. Did everything right and I was hustled. Lawsuit to follow. Have all documentation. Not good. Bad. Very poor. Why rip off good people? Not good. Help. Why? I’m????

DriveTime response

Hello Joshua,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We deeply apologize for any mechanical concerns you encountered with your purchase.

We understand that mechanical concerns are never ideal. It's important to know that all our vehicles are pre-owned and inspected before placing them on our lots. While they go through an inspection, we are unable to predict when future repairs may be needed. For this reason, we provide a Limited Warranty (LW) for mechanical failures within the first 30-days/1,500-miles. We also have an optional Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) to assist in most situations there-after.

In addition to these coverages, we offer a 5-day Vehicle Return Policy (VRP), which allows our customers the opportunity to inspect and get comfortable with their purchase. If they are not pleased with their vehicle, they can bring it back within the first 5-business days (not including the date of sale, holidays we are closed, and Sundays).

We certainly appreciate your feedback and apologize once again for any inconvenience this caused. Please reach out to our Customer Relations department at (888) 290-0148, should you have any questions.

Kindly,