4.19/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is the nation's largest used car dealership network and auto finance company that specializes in providing buyers with credit issues flexible used car financing and lease options.

DriveTime Gallery (4)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

5330 DriveTime Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

The salesman, Charles and manager Yogi were excellent. They courteous and straightforward. The service and transaction was fast and to the point. Hassle free. I was working out of town and trying to get this deal processed so they worked with me and my schedule. Great group of people. Their follow up (DriveTime) receptionist was a nice touch also.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Everyone there made you feel like someone not a number like some dealers. They worked with you to get you the best deal for the money. I would be sure tell my friends and anyone that's looking for a car to see DriveTime before going anywhere else.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Anthony was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was very adamant in me leaving with what I wanted and not to settle. I thank him so much for helping me get my dream car. I would refer anyone who needs a second chance of owning a car. This also helps build your credit.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We found a truck in Ohio and the McKnight Rd office had it brought in for us to look at. Ramon was great and made us feel at home. We have never had so much fun buying a car. Will definitely tell people to buy a car there.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

The staff at DriveTime is awesome. Lindsey ** was a great help in the process... Would recommend this dealership to anyone looking to purchase a vehicle... It was a pleasure working with all of the staff. They have great cars at great prices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

The car we bought wasn't cleaned. The process took several hours after we had already had an appointment that was not put first. Their intern wasn't fully trained. The banker guy was amazing in getting us approved and in the car we wanted. Needed more staff. If we hadn't already started with them probably would have left.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

It was a very pleasant experience. Our sales person was extremely nice and helpful. We would definitely recommend the dealership. We received a call after our purchase as well. We purchased a Ford Edge and we really loved he it a lot. We will be back.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I really had a great experience and had a wonderful outcome. I got my 2013 Kia Soul at the South Bend, Indiana DriveTime. Michelle was great and helpful with all my needs an wants. Conner also was great and they both had a upbeat attitude and atmosphere. I would recommend DriveTime to anyone an everyone. I wish my payment was less than what it is but I also know my credit is not the best. But I love the car and fits me perfectly and my daughter and the car seat fit perfect. Thank you for everything.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Bad deal. They changed the price on car at moment buy it. The car motor engine dirty inside out. Also make weird noise. Sale man or manager didn't help. We drove the car. I needed transportation get work. I have bad feelings the car.

Hello Alan,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am saddened to hear that you are disheartened with us. It is important to note that the total sales price is affected by the market value of the desired vehicle. The market value populates automatically, and can potentially change based on the specific location of the dealership. In regards to your mechanical concerns, please know that all of our vehicles are inspected prior to sale to prevent these concerns. However, since these vehicles are pre-owned it can be difficult to determine if or when situations like this may occur. For this reason, every vehicle sold from DriveTime comes with a 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty, along with the optional Extended Vehicle Service Contract. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact my Customer Relations team at 888-290-0148 for further assistance.

Missy – Customer Relations

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Customer service was awesome. Corey ** car salesmen, Yvonne and Leroy, the managers at Gulf Freeway location in Houston TX were all so great and gave me all information I needed. Thank you guys. I enjoy my new 2015 Nissan Altima.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I am so amazed at all of the hard work to get me into a vehicle as quickly as possible! Willing to work with me at my pace and within my capacity, and really listening to my needs and not pushing me for something I wasn't looking for - all makes for an outstanding experience!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I can say I was happy with the sales and service. Mark was very professional, honest, and even saved me money. Got there at 9 am and was out by 12 pm. Once again I can say Marcus made my experience great.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Allan ** was so friendly and handled everything with ease. It was a transaction that went very smoothly. I enjoyed meeting him. I knew the car I wanted when I arrived so I test drive it immediately and liked it from the start. Was pleased with price and the entire experience.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Y’all did a wonderful job and I was very pleased with the performance that you all did for me. Thank you very much. And yes I would refer you to any of my friends. I’ve been telling everybody about you since I got the car. Thank you very much.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I am pleased with my purchase and the help that I and my husband received on our first visit from Daniel. I thought that I would not have been able to get a car, especially one so new. Thanks again for such wonderful service. You have all been great.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Had a fantastic experience last night purchasing my vehicle! Crystal was a big help and made us feel welcome from the start and is a great asset to your dealership! I will definitely recommend DriveTime to anyone I know that is looking to purchase a vehicle!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Very pleased with the great customer service Demarcus ** gave. Was very patient and did everything possible to get me in the vehicle that I was happy with. Got exactly the car I wanted. Very happy and would definitely recommend to family and friends. Awesome experience!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

They are a rip off. Was told I have a monthly payment then they said it was every two weeks. Their car report stated it was nothing wrong with the vehicle then when I took it in for oil change they said the car was in a accident before. They said to me that they really don't know what wrong with the vehicle. Now I am stuck with a vehicle that is too much and have problems. They need to be investigated and people like myself should be compensated. THEY IS A RIP OFF. A PREY ON THE POOR.

Hello Charmaine,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. I am saddened to hear that you are dissatisfied with DriveTime. Please know that all of our vehicles are inspected prior to being placed on our lots. In regard to your concern on the vehicle, please keep in mind that all of our vehicles come with an Experian Auto Check History report that details prior liens, owners, and accidents (if applicable).

I would like the opportunity to look into your situation. Please contact my Customer Relations team at (888)290-0148.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I enjoyed the experience of buying a car from DriveTime in Lakeland Florida. I spent a long time with Eric **, he was very gracious and accommodating to my spouse and I. I will definitely be recommending DriveTime to anyone I know who needs a car.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Amazing! I was approved! I actually ended up with the vehicle I set up to test drive. Payments are a little high but I'm building my credit. Nice staff. They were busy when I arrived so I didn't feel pressured. I test drove four SUVs but they were a bit overpriced and I didn't want to have a $500.00 a month car payment on a used car. They said I was approved for anything on the lot, but the numbers were way too high. I'm happy with my decision and plan on refinancing it with my bank in six months.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

This was by far one of the greatest experiences in my life. DriveTime went above and beyond to make sure they had a happy customer at the end of the day... I would definitely recommend people to come to DriveTime to get a vehicle and meet some friendly people if I had to do this all over again I would pick DriveTime!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

The sales process is extremely friendly and streamlined which on the surface seems to be a good thing. It’s not. It’s designed to quickly funnel you through the purchase without paying attention to the particulars. The extended warranty. First, they overcharge for a 5 yr 50,000 limited warranty by charging $3,550.00 for the warranty. To struggling credit purchasers, the added amount seems small compared with the peace of mind of being protected. Well, what they don’t explain, is that the true cost of this warranty is more than TRIPLE that. The “extended warranty” added 28 more months of car payments to the loan which actually increased the overall cost to the exact same amount of the PURCHASE price of the car with INTEREST.

AVOID. When I had an issue with the car a couple weeks after purchase, I was told I would have PAY out pocket for diagnostic charges, and immediately referred to their “kickback” partner shops in the local area. Through my own research, I contacted manufacturer who said vehicle still covered under their 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty and they fixed free of charge.

This was my fault, but after subsequent inspection upon cleaning the car at home, I noticed DriveTime was nice enough to highlight bumper damage and scratches by drawing arrows and lines in silver marker to outline it, but never fix prior to delivery of vehicle. When pictures shown and mentioned, DriveTime immediately clams up.

They have no service department, and therefore all repairs/estimates are third-party. Even their warranty crushes you with a deductible, the cost of which would normally cover diagnostic charge anyway. I had to repair burnt out tail light myself a week after purchase because they wanted me to drive 1/2 hr to a mechanic and again pay out of pocket. I had AC unit issues within 5 weeks of purchase and was told I had to pay out of pocket to diagnose problem. Battery tested below specs 3 weeks after purchase. No remediation. Two front tires already need replacement less than two months after purchase. Alignment same. Mechanic says that service has been needed for quite some time and should’ve easily been picked up in their “supposed” 100plus point “DriveTime” vehicle inspection.

Should’ve known better than to trust a subprime lender, but the hired a sweetheart saleswoman who charms the pants off you, right up until the moment the sale is made when it instantly becomes “call this number or this person” not me when there is an issue. Avoid this dealership chain like the plague unless you truly have no other option. Even then, go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and preferably have a mechanic come with you to inspect.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding experience. I am saddened that your impression of us has left you feeling dissatisfied. Please know that we strive to provide a rewarding experience for all of our customers. Please know that all of our vehicles are inspected and come with a 30 day/1,500 mile limited warranty and optional vehicle service contract. We make this an option being that we know that some of our customers do not want to purchase additional coverage or may want to seek it elsewhere.

While it is true that our locations do not have service stations on site, please know that assistance is close. Our vehicle service contract and limited warranties are serviced by Silverrock, which has its own network of vendors. These are shops that are trusted and certified to help. In addition, since they are in network, they have to keep up to Silverrock's standards.

Again, I am saddened that you are disheartened with us. Please know that my Customer Relations team is here to assist. If you have any further questions or comments, please reach out to us at (888)290-0148.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I had a great experience buying my new car. MJ was the salesperson I worked with along with Ryan and Mike the general managers. I was a nervous wreck but I made it through the process! This place was awesome! Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Susan was the best... She did an awesome job in getting me financed and writing up the loan process. It was the most stress-free car buying experience I've had so far. She was also the most persistent salesperson I have encountered and am I glad for that.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

2011 Dodge Ram - Happy with my purchase. Hope it'll last for a long time. The staff was helpful, especially Stephen **. Thanks for the help. I will tell all my family and friends about the dealership and the helpful staff. The vehicles are all real nice and prices are affordable.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Blake was great. I was there for 2 and a half hours and drove out with my new car. Anyone who needs to buy a car should go to DriveTime. Everyone was nice and very helpful. This is not the case at many other places. I will recommend DriveTime to everyone I know.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Carlos - Car Saler. He is amazing, very nice and accurate. I told him that I have a 4th month and he helped me pick a great space car and for a good price. They offered popcorn and let time test drive and I also told him that I had a horrible first time buying a car and he showed me the complete opposite, he was truly amazing.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Everyone was very professional and courteous. Especially Don and Rasheed. They walked me thru it to the finished line and Don was very knowledgeable about my vehicle. Rashad helped and advised me in securing my auto insurance. Julius did a great job explaining my contract to me. And Audrey gave me a great first impression to this business. Keep her up front!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My first time at a car lot and it was an Amazing Experience. Friendly staff. They all helped in every way possible. I would like to say a Special thanks to Remi and Keith @ DriveTime of Union City Ga! You GUYS ROCK!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Adrian at DriveTime in Columbus, GA, was amazing! He was very informative and extremely helpful. It was such a great experience; one that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. I love my new car, and I will definitely be recommending everyone I know!

DriveTime Company Information