Consumer Reviews and Complaints

It's one thing to advertise that everyone is approved, it's another thing to mean it. Alex and Collin were very friendly, listened to our needs, and helped us find the perfect van. After filling out the paperwork, I was waiting for them to come back and say "sorry", or "we need more money", or "you need a co-signer"... Instead they came back with "You Are Approved!" Friendly staff + Great vehicles + Fair price = Incredible Experience. I will be sending people your way!

Everyone at the Sahara location was helpful. Cory, Grant, Trent, and Ivan were all helpful and made my purchase. I will definitely refer my friends and friends of friends to DriveTime especially this location. It was a stressful day but it ended with a successful move. Thank you DriveTime.

The salesman in Tallahassee Fl. Claros was awesome! He went above and beyond to help us, I will recommend everyone to buy a car from him! Love this place and I will do business there again! I love the car and Carlos!!!

Evan was awesome to work with and the entire experience was simple and transparent. I would recommend DriveTime for anyone who for whatever reason does not want or can't go the route of a traditional auto dealership. Would return to Morse Rd store again.

First I will start off by listing Pros and then I will do Cons. Pros: Customer service was EXCELLENT. I'm from NC but brought my vehicle in SC... I came down initially on a Saturday to the Greenville SC location. I had already went online and got my approval and someone in the Arizona office contacted and said it was true that I was approved. I went down and we was greeted at the door, took my proof of income etc... etc. I had already seen the vehicle I wanted online so I wasn't interested in anything else... just my Equinox. I was allowed to look at the vehicle and do about a 15 mile test drive.

I noticed the car wasn't that clean but Gary my salesman said they would detail the car and engine before I got it if I chose to get it. I went over down payment info with the manager Carnegie and was satisfied... my credit is bad so I was just happy someone was willing to help me especially with a 2014 at that!! I let him know I didn't have funds yet but would be back by the following Thursday and left. I got everything in order and came back Thursday, took maybe 2 hours and I was GONE in my new new!!

Cons: Okay so I told you I went to see about my car on a Saturday and then brought it the following Thursday... so in between that time my car price went down by $800 but they would not change my paperwork. They would not honor what I had seen online, I was given some poor excuse that loan paperwork had already been written up and couldn't be changed... yeah okay. Next, I asked the salesman Gary could he have my car cleaned and was told they don't have a service center there BUT he did try to wipe it off bless his heart... but I traveled an hour for this vehicle. The least you could have done was ran it up the street to a car wash. Come on now!!

Next I was told that Gary (once again) was going to fill my vehicle up with gas, I watched him walk around asking several associates if they had seen the gas card which they all said no. He walked outside and came back in and told me my vehicle was ready, not realizing I had been watching him!! He was hesitant, but told me the car was ready and then added really quickly that it was going to need a lil gas. I let the comment slide and got in my new ride, got down the street and the car was dang near on E!! THIS is unacceptable and I would definitely like the company to send me a $30 complimentary gas card. I am an out of town customer, that vehicle should have had a full tank. Next, you guys have to detail these cars. My previous car was from CarMax and that thing was SPOTLESS. Make us feel a little appreciated why don't ya?

Again, overall I'm pretty happy. It's a used car so I know there will be minor issues in the future which is fine. If I am given the gas card I will definitely be recommending several clients your way, I work for a huge hospital and word of mouth recommendations are the best!!! My vehicle is very nice and runs smoothly, thanks so much for helping me in my time of need.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

My experience with DriveTime was AMAZING!!! And we absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our new car. The whole process did not take long. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our sales rep Amanda was GREAT. I will be recommending everyone I know to give DriveTime a chance.

Hello Dalen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sincerely sorry to hear that mechanical concerns have cause you to become dissatisfied with DriveTime. I want to assure you that we strive to provide reliable vehicles for all customers and to help demonstrate this all of our vehicles are inspected. However, as we deal with pre-owned vehicles, we cannot foresee if or when any repair concerns arise post-sale. For this reason, we also include a 30 day/1,500 mile limited warranty with our finance customers having the option to add-on additional coverage for further peace of mind. Please bear in mind that when a component is covered under the terms of the warranty, there is a deductible that is assessed, per the warranty contract. This deductible can vary depending on the repair facility; typically is it $100.00 at an in-network repair facility and $200.00 at an out-of-network repair facility. Additionally, under the warranty terms, they are able to source and use parts that are new, refurbished, or remanufactured at their discretion. These parts are inspected and are typically provided with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

Again I want to thank you for your time and I apologize for any dissatisfaction you have felt towards DriveTime. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Well here we go...bought a used Volkswagen Tiguan 6 months ago from DriveTime. Week 1...sun shield on the sunroof broke. Week 2...oil pan gasket failed...100 bucks! Week 3...it blew a coil pack and stranded me...150 bucks. Week 4...blew 2 more coils packs...100 bucks. I figured out how to fix it myself. Stranded both times! 2 months in...water pump failed...stranded...100 dollar deductible. 4 months in...another water pump...stranded. 5 months an oil pressure sensor failure...85 bucks. 6 months in...came out from work and the oil pump failed...it stranded me again! Needs new engine. DriveTime's warranty company sent a horrible used engine from a junk yard that was leaking from everywhere.

The garage that is fixing it was so surprised at the quality they sent me pics. Now I'm gonna have a car with a very used engine and NO idea how many miles are on the junk yard engine. Do NOT buy a Volkswagen!!! I got rid of a 25 yr old Toyota 4Runner to get this car. I would have driven the Toyota to California!!! I would not drive this car to Nashville! I live in Knoxville Tn. I have had the distinct pleasure of knocking DriveTime out of 2 new car sales because of this piece of **. And will continue to persuade my friends NOT to buy from DriveTime.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your service review. I am deeply sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your DriveTime experience thus far.

Please know that it is our goal to be transparent with our customers in all aspects of their purchase. Because DriveTime and Bridgecrest (our new loan servicing company) specialize in working with customers with less than perfect credit, the Annual Percentage Rate (APR) offered may be higher than expected. For this reason, we provide a Federal Truth in Lending Disclosure during the contracting process. This disclosure details the APR, the finance charge, the amount financed, the total amount expected to be paid throughout the life of the loan, and the total sales price.

Additionally, we invest an average of approximately $1,200 in parts and labor in every vehicle we sell to ensure it meets our standards, an amount representing 10% or more of the NADA value of the vehicles. We utilize NADA Retail Suggested Value when evaluating our pricing, which are within the “fair market range” displayed on the “Buy from a Dealer” page on Kelly Blue Book (KBB).

I also want to apologize if you are dissatisfied with the service you have received from the BridgeCrest loan servicing team. Please know that their top priority is assisting you in maintaining your loan, and I apologize if you feel otherwise.

I apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused. If you would like to discuss this matter in further detail, please feel free to reach out to my Customer Relations team at (888) 290-0148.

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I bought a minivan Aug 2015. Three months after buying vehicle I reapplied and was approved for 17500. When I went to same dealer w/ down payment I was told it was against their policy to have 2 financed vehicles for single person. So this shows on my credit. Then in Oct 2015 my dad passed away and I called for payoff. Told me payoff 16500 even though vehicle only cost 10500. Would not take off interest even though paying cash.

Now it's Feb 2017 and I got behind 2 payments for losing job and health reasons and they are constantly harassing me. Made 2 payments back to back and yet was told I need increase my payments from 210 every 2 weeks to 260 to 310 every 2 weeks. Very unprofessional people work in office. Also I traded in a vehicle and they never took it out of my name before taking it to auction. Would never recommend them to anyone.

I would have to say my experience was pretty good. My salesman was polite and knowledgeable and everyone was friendly. I guess the only thing I didn't like about it was the high interest rate but that's not DriveTime's fault, it's mine. Thanks for helping me get a car.

Hello Tina,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your DriveTime experience. I am sincerely sorry to hear that your vehicle was recovered due to any insurance concerns. I want to assure you that we want to work with our customers as best as possible when it comes to situations where the vehicle may need to be recovered. Our advisors make multiple attempts to contact the customer when the insurance that we have on file becomes invalid. Typically, insurance companies will send the customer the information and it is up to the customer to either have their insurance company forward off their insurance declaration to DriveTime or the customer may send it to us themselves. Without this paperwork we are unable to verify that the customer is maintaining the required full-coverage insurance on the vehicle.

If a vehicle is recovered, the customer is responsible for any applicable repossession or impound fees. While we do attempt to work with our customers with payments and paying said fees, the contractual agreement would still need to be met.

Thank you again for your time and patience on this matter. Should you have any further questions regarding insurance or the recovery of your vehicle, I encourage you to reach out to a leasing specialist at 800-813-5883.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

CONSUMER BEWARE!!! I have never heard of a company completely denying fault. I am sure this review will never be seen by the public eye, however, I am going to attempt it anyway. When paperwork is presented that clearly proves a car was rightfully insured, the insurance company confirms they notified the lender regarding the insurance, and the company still determines that you were in the wrong... definitely tells me to beware of and tell everyone I know about the experience of not only having your car taken two weeks before the lease ends, having your driveway and lawn tore up by the "repo" man, having to go an entire weekend without a vehicle only to be told you have to pay over $600 to get your car back because Drivetime screwed up... No no no. Check all your other options before ever going with this company!

Everything so EXCELLENT!!! MIQUEL and Andrew was very professional and help me though EVERYTHING and I will be back and I will send other people to them. Everyone in that location was very nice, treated you with respect and welcomed you plus worked with you.

Madra,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am so happy to hear that overall, you had a positive purchasing experience. We strive to provide quality customer service which includes ensuring that each customer leaves the dealership feeling confident about all aspects of their purchase. I certainly apologize that you were not shown how to properly operate some of the features of your vehicle as this is standard practice for our team. Please know that if you have any questions regarding your vehicle, our dealership staff is always willing to help to the best of our ability. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Relations Department at 888-290-0148. Thank you again for providing your feedback and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Danielle - Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Good experience second time around. Salesperson was professional and very knowledgeable about vehicle. I did not know how to work the lights or open the gas tank... or have not seen under hood. I have to read book to see how to open hood. I guess experience is the best teacher.

Hello John,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to leave your review. I want to sincerely apologize for any frustration you are currently experiencing due to the burning smell issue you had mentioned.

Please know that any steps taken during our review process are not intended to inconvenience our customers, but rather to ensure that we have sufficient information to justify any action taken that might be outside of our standard policy and procedure. In a case like this, any action taken would be done based on information provided your mechanic, warranty inspector, as well as your insurance adjuster. Unfortunately, until the cause of failure has been determined by the above mentioned parties, and said failures have been reported to your warranty administrator, it is very difficult for us to determine what must be done to rectify your concerns.

I want to apologize again for any inconvenience resulting from the issues you had mentioned. Upon further review, I noticed that you have recently been in contact with my Customer Relations team regarding these concerns. Please continue working with my team so that we may work toward an amicable resolution.

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

We had bought this 2013 Nissan altima almost a year ago and have nothing but issues from it. Then it catches on fire while driving and the flames go out. The insurance company says they can't cover it because they can't see where the flames came from. So DriveTime said to have it taken apart to see if it can be found. Still can't find it but you can smell it. Even the adjuster told them this. Also it's not driveable because it's a fire risk and if it's driven my insurance won't cover the car.

Was told by DriveTime that they were going to swap out the car but now they want a second option from one of their shops. I couldn't even take it to the dealer for a second opinion and you would think the insurance adjuster word and findings would be enough for them but not. Long story short they don't stand behind their junk. I did call my attorney and she did say they were entitled to a second opinion. This so ridiculous considering you can Google this issue. It's a known one. Even Nissan has no fix for it.

Johnny was the one that helped me buy a car. I felt that his approach was very professional. I was on the fence about buying a car and he helped to get me to commit to it. Buying a car has been very important to me, and I really needed that extra push to get me into it. Overall I would recommend Johnny to anyone that I knew that was looking to purchase a car.

My experience was so amazing and easy. After totaling my car and having to go through the process of purchasing a new car and worrying about the stress of it this was super amazing and stress free. They got deals on what I wanted and could afford and that made it so much easier.

I had a great salesman. He went above and beyond to get me in the car I wanted and he did a wonderful job!!! The payments are a little pricey but you already know that going in because they are there to help people that don't have the greatest credit. They have a pretty good selection and did not disappoint.

My sales advisor Antoine ** was respectful, friendly and helped me select a vehicle that fit my lifestyle. He was very professional and I am glad he worked with me during the entire process. He made several calls to let me know the status of my purchase.

Still trying to understand why I could not get the price of the car I pick... I was told that I will be paying 100,995 which was on the car the day I pick it out. The day I came back to purchase the car the price tag 100.955 was still on the car. But I went to sign the paperwork. The car was 11.200.00... This is not right. Then the manager told he could change the price because my rep did not place something on the day I look at it. Then tell to bring the car back for the next few week for gas... I will never purchase a car from you guys again and I will my problem on social media... To let guys know not to come to DriveTime. I feel I should have been sold the car for the price that was list on the dashboard. Very dissatisfied with my experience. This not the way to lead customer.

DriveTime delivers as promised! Very helpful staff, and they do what they advertise they do, no gimmicks, got a great low mileage car with best warranty I have ever seen for a pre-owned vehicle. I advise anyone looking for a quality vehicle to see them first. Purchased my car in South Bend Indiana. Thanks DriveTime!

We had a very awesome, friendly and professional lady help us. Her name was Amber... My husband is very bad at making decisions and her and Brian were just so great with explaining every detail to him and that was what made him make his decision to get our beautiful car... Thank you so much.

I enjoyed my process of car shopping here. The salesman Christopher was very nice and patient. He took his time and did not rush, which helped me enjoy my experience even more. Love my Toyota! I didn't feel rushed or pressured at all. He answered all my questions and served me appropriately.

Merwan ** was just an awesome person... He was extremely polite, professional and have such a vivacious personality that made my car buying experience at DriveTime pleasant! He took time and listened to what I was looking for in a vehicle and delivered.

The guy who help us get a vehicle, William ** did a terrific job. He did everything he possibly could to make sure we left with a new vehicle. Thanks Will. I will recommend DriveTime to all my family and friends.

Most awesome place to buy a car ever. Went on the website, saw a few cars I loved (didn't think my first choice would be there). Thanks to our salesman I GOT MY CAR!!! Was so excited can't wait until Valentine's day when I can pick my new baby up!!! For sure will do business with you all again.

Everyone was very helpful and the car is great. I enjoyed working with my sales agent Van. The process was efficient and pre qualifying online was easy and speed up the buying process. I highly recommend buying a car at DriveTime. I wish the downpayment was a lower amount. I took awhile to save that up.

Hello Shedica,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your DriveTime experience. I apologize about any frustration you have experienced due to vehicular concerns. I want to assure you that it is our goal to provide reliable transportation options for all customers. To help demonstrate this, all of our vehicles are inspected prior to sale and they are provided with a 30 day/1,500 mile limited warranty. Our finance customers also have the option to add-on additional coverage for further peace of mind. Please keep in mind that as we work with pre-owned vehicles, there are major differences when compared to a new vehicles, such as mileage. And as they are pre-owned, we are unable to foresee if or when any repair concerns arise. For this reason we encourage our customers to work with their warranty administrator.

I understand that there may be occurrences where a repair does not fall under the realm of covered components under the warranty terms. For situations such at this, my department, Customer Relations, is in place to assist our customers. We take all of the provided information and we search to see if there is any further assistance that we can possibly provide. You stated that you are currently working with my department to resolve your concerns, and I encourage you to continue working with us so that we may reach an amicable resolution.

Thank you again for your time with this matter at hand. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

They gave me a car that had too much miles and I only had the car from less than 2 months, and I have the most problems with it. I am dealing with Customer Relations right now to get it fixed but I would not tell anyone to come to DriveTime.

I worked with Valencia initially but everyone there is great and fast. I was able to get into the vehicle I wanted with no hassle. They even held the car for me for the week for only $100. They are very nice and attentive team. I would definitely come back when it's time to upgrade. Everything was explained thoroughly and I did not feel rushed nor like there was anything I couldn't ask and I was provided very in depth and friendly responses to my inquiries. The whole team at the Oxon Hill dealerships is amazing!!!

Carrie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the customer service you received from DriveTime. This is certainly not the type of customer interaction that we hope for any of our customers to experience.

At DriveTime, our customers are our first priority and we want each of our customers to feel confident in their decision to do business with us. I can’t apologize enough that this experience may have left you feeling otherwise. Please rest assured that I will be reaching out to you within the next 48 business hours to gain further information into this situation so that I can better address these issues with the dealership. Should you request more immediate assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Relations Department at 888-290-0148.

Once again, I apologize for any frustration this situation may have caused you and your family. I look forward to speaking with you and having the opportunity to address your concerns, in order to ensure a positive customer service experience moving forward.

Sincerely,

Danielle - Customer Relations

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

All about the sales and not the customer. Roderick was hateful, and raised his voice at me. After he had my daughter who has a disability to sign they were hateful to me. I wouldn't buy another car from this lot.

My experience was truly a great one! The representative I worked with provided great customer service. She explained the process clearly, was courteous and patient with my questions. She was very personable which put me at ease as purchasing a car can be a stressful experience. I would highly recommend to friends, family, and co-workers to consider DriveTime when they are ready to purchase a car.

Was greeted by Jeffrey when I entered the building. He also was the one who helped me to locate a car to meet my needs. I knew exactly what I was looking for. He tried to find me a car with features to accommodate me & my 4 little dogs. He did locate a car on your lot that I liked & meets my car needs. The one who took my payment & the one did the paperwork at the end were also very efficient. Everyone in the office was very friendly. My encounter with DriveTime was very pleasant. I found a Hyundai that I liked. It meets my needs. Thank you. I have purchased many cars over my lifetime. I have to say this was the easiest it has ever been!!!

DriveTime Company Profile