2. Automotive

4.5/5 (603 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About DriveTime

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

Pros

• Quick application process
  • 5-day return guarantee
  • Options for poor credit and no credit

Cons

• Interest rates on the higher end

Bottom Line

DriveTime specializes in used vehicles for people with poor or no credit. Good customer service and a quick application process make up for the fact exact interest rates aren’t available on their website.

Top DriveTime Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was right on, upbeat, extremely helpful and gave me exactly what I asked for and everything I wanted in and with the car. Went over the car with me and made sure ...

Verified

I had a great experience at DriveTime. They let me pick the car I want and ask me how much I would like to put down and they were so friendly and nice. Had a great time buying one...

What is DriveTime?

DriveTime.com is an online car buying site with 138 accompanying physical dealerships nationwide. DriveTime specializes in providing auto financing for people with weak credit or no credit. It just takes two minutes to fill out an online application and see if DriveTime can work with you to get the right car. Unlike some online car buying sites, DriveTime owns all of its dealerships, so it knows the vehicles they are selling.

How does DriveTime work?

The salespeople at DriveTime are salaried employees, relieving pressure on their part to make a sale. Instead, they are focused on providing customers with the most useful information possible. The DriveTime website has a wealth of resources on credit scores, auto financing and personal savings goals. You can search for the nearest DriveTime location on their website to view cars in person.

DriveTime used car inventory

As of this writing, the DriveTime inventory was 13,000 strong. With 13,000 vehicles to choose from at 138 DriveTime locations, you’ll have no shortage of choices. When you’re looking at cars online with DriveTime, you can view their safety ratings, features,  mileage and Kelley Blue Book pricing. DriveTime also accepts trade-ins.

DriveTime payment

All financing for a DriveTime purchase is done in-house, and they are open to accepting any credit score, including no credit at all. DriveTime down payments will vary based on the price of the vehicle and the customer’s financial situation. The 45-day hold on vehicles allows customers time to gather their down payment before officially paying for the car.

DriveTime features

Other features from DriveTime include:

• Two-minute online approval: All you have to do is enter some basic information, and in a few minutes you’ll know whether or not you’ve been approved for DriveTime financing.
  • Free AutoCheck vehicle history reports: To see the full history of your vehicle and make sure it hasn’t been in any accidents, just view the AutoCheck report that comes with every DriveTime vehicle.
  • Rigorous inspection process: Every DriveTime vehicle undergoes strict inspection to ensure it is in good working condition.
  • 5-day return policy: If you are dissatisfied with your vehicle for whatever reason, you can return it to DriveTime within 5 days.
  • 45-day holds for vehicles: Having trouble scrounging up a down payment? A 45-day hold allows you time to gather up the money you need to make a down payment.
  • Vehicle delivery: If you find a vehicle you like at a DriveTime location that isn’t the one nearest to you, DriveTime can ship it to a closer location.
  • Complimentary 30-day/1,500-mile warranty: This warranty will help keep you covered in case of an unexpected breakdown or another malfunction of the vehicle.
  • Range of options for down payments: Depending on your current financial situation, DriveTime can allow for varying amounts of down payments.

DriveTime FAQ

Is DriveTime a buy here pay here?
Yes. You can apply for financing through a DriveTime location, which makes it a buy here pay here (BHPH) dealership.
What is DriveTime Select?
Also called the DriveTime CHAMP program, DriveTime Select rewards customers for paying off their auto loan balances.
Does DriveTime work with bad credit?
Yes. DriveTime specializes in selling vehicles to people with bad credit.
Does DriveTime take trade-ins?
DriveTime does accept trade-ins. You can have your car appraised in person and decide if you want to trade it in.
Does DriveTime have GPS on their cars?
Yes. DriveTime uses GPS to keep track of a vehicle’s location.

Is DriveTime good?

DriveTime is a good option for people who have either no credit or less than optimal credit. DriveTime has more than just a wide array of used cars at fair prices. Additional features like a 30-day warranty and 45-day vehicle hold make it a solid choice for your next vehicle purchase.

DriveTime Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2021

Late yesterday, I had a 5pm appointment, I had arrived about 30mins early. Dealership worker “Ilia” greeted us as we were looking at a vehicle on the lot I previously seen online, she was very nice and respectful, and asked if we needed any help. I told her I was here early for an appointment I have at 5pm, she then excitedly told us to come in and she will get us started. The whole process from start to finish, then signing, was literally amazing. She literally verified all my information, she was quick, then told me the cars I could choose from and was super patient as I was making my decision. After I made my decision, she literally got us in and out within 2 1/2 hours, but part of that was because my insurance company took their sweet time getting a rep on the phone.

Budge friendly, outstanding monthly payments, She literally made this car buy experience a one to remember, I kid you not I’ve never had a car buying experience like this, she literally help the whole way through, went over every detail and then some. Absolutely best experience hands down. BIG THANKS TO “ILIA” for an amazing encounter, and everything you’ve done and went over and beyond. There’s literally been many dealerships I been to, and none tops DriveTime experience!! If I could rate more stars I certainly would without a doubt. I highly recommend anyone that had about a $1000 or more for downpayment, should come down to DriveTime, and hope you get the same experience out of the process as I did!!!!

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Unbeknownst to my sales rep I am a former Porsche Audi Mercedes sales manager. I must say my experience at Drive Time was quick, efficient and most impressive. My sales rep Dominic ** was well trained and super fast with determining what a customer is able to buy and get the ball rolling. I was amazed at how he helped three people at the same time without getting stressed out. My entire car purchase, including evaluating my trade and all the paperwork took less than two hours. I am happy to refer my friends and family to him.

I might also mention your website and Kim in your internet department are awesome. I got pre qualified and had three cars picked out before I even walked in the door! Kim contacted me immediately and set an appointment for me to come in. Highly efficient operation leveraging technology. Refreshing to see a business on their game. Will

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

A good place to go for people who have decent verifiable income, but are hindered by sub-prime credit ratings. The payment & APR are on the high side, but that's to be expected with a sub-prime car loan. However, as long as you have good income, they will get you into a decent vehicle. If you can afford a

solid downpayment, the loan length & terms become much more desirable. You must understand & accept that if you let your credit go bad, & want a car dealer to loan you money, it's a risk to them, a risk that Drivetime will take, but in turn, they want more $ down & more of a security interest from you, such as autopay & bank statement verification.

If you do things right at Drivetime, meaning have a solid downpayment & don't let your salesperson trick you into things you do not need or can't afford, & you keep to your contract as agreed, you can easily walk out of there with a nice vehicle at a halfway decent price & payment within 2 hours. An added benefit is the fact that they do full credit reporting to all 3 agency's every month. So it can & will improve your auto-credit score drastically after 12 months or so of on time payments. The staff at my location was friendly, attentive, fast, & efficient despite being pretty crowded at the time, I never felt neglected. Overall a good experience, I needed another car, they gave me a nice one, & the loan terms were better than initially expected.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

The afternoon on January 21, 2021 I was on my way to Drivetime to look for a car because I was in a bad car accident that morning and my car was totaled so when I went to drive time I met a nice lady Marilyn **. I was having a bad day. The Adjuster told me that my Altima was totaled. Everything was going wrong for that day. I I was talking to Miss Marilyn ** the sales lady. It was no pressure. It was the greatest experience I ever had when I purchased a car. I purchased all the cars from other places but she made me feel so comfortable. No pressure, no rush. She took her time. She answered all my questions. She was very patient with me. They should have more people like that in car dealerships. I’m so happy that I met her and also I am so happy with my new car purchase from DriveTime’s. Kudos for everybody.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

On 11/18/20 I purchased a 2016 Ford Fusion from Brian ** at your Mishawaka branch, this man went above and beyond the call of his job to not only get me approved to buy a car but to buy the car I wanted.. He worked with me very well over the phone and email to save me from wasting an hour's drive just to be told no.. He even had the thought to have a co worker call to check in with me on his day off..

I would HIGHLY recommend Brian and Drivetime.. I have very challenging credit to work with due to a very nasty and bitter divorce and Brian made it happen despite me not thinking he would be able to... And then he made a follow up call the day after my purchase to see if I had any questions about the car or transaction... SUCH a great guy.. And best of all .. He didn't use car salesman me... he didn't try to talk me into some piece of crap car I didn't really want so he could get his sale.. He worked his butt off to get me in the ride I wanted.. A++++. This man DESERVES a raise or promotion or both.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I certainly didn't have much of a good 1st experience! When I first signed up with DriveTime, I qualified for $0 down payment, and they ran my credit. Then I was told that I would have to give give $2200 as a down payment and make about $400 a month payment with 28.4% interest rate on a $8000 car, and they ran my credit again all within one week! Way too much!!!

DriveTime response

Hello Terrie,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and showing interest in purchasing through DriveTime. I am sorry to hear if you were dissatisfied with the presented approval options for the vehicle you selected.

When you arrive at the dealership, our sales team will verify the information submitted online to ensure accuracy. Additionally, your down payment requirements are also subject to change based on several factors, including the vehicle you select. As mentioned in your review, we do check credit during the initial application process.

That said, I apologize for your disappointment regarding the approval options that were presented to you. Should you wish to discuss your review in more detail, please reach out to our Customer Relations department at (888) 290-0148, and a representative will be glad to help.

Kindly,

DriveTime Customer Relations

Original review: July 22, 2021

My sales associate, Quiten **, was great to my family and I. He was very patient with me as I picked out the car that was right for me... A process that took several hours. Definitely one of the better vehicle purchasing experiences I've had.

Original review: July 21, 2021

We purchased a Honda Pilot from the West Orlando Dealership. The manager, Areikar ** is the epitome of customer service. We came in Thursday evening looking at completely different vehicles and did not like them. We then found this pilot and Areikar stayed after hours so we could test drive and reserve it. We then had an issue with FedEx getting the closing package delivered so Areikar drove to the distribution facility and personally picked it up so we could pickup our vehicle as planned. She went so far above and beyond. It was the best experience we have ever had with a dealership. To top it off, we received trade in value nearly triple what other dealers offered. Highly recommend Drivetime!

Original review: July 20, 2021

Sergio was great. The process was much quicker than I thought it would be. He was very friendly and helpful. He made the whole process fun and pleasant. I will definitely think of buying a car from there in the future.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I went to the DriveTime in Clearwater FL and Paul helped me. He was very patient and was amazing! I ran into a few obstacles while there and I was there until after closing and he didn’t mind at all. We need more of his customer service in the world!

DriveTime Company Information