2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

DriveTime Gallery (4)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

DriveTime specializes in used vehicles for people with poor or no credit. Good customer service and a quick application process make up for the fact exact interest rates aren’t available on their website.

PROS

• Quick application process
  • 5-day return guarantee
  • Options for poor credit and no credit

CONS

• Interest rates on the higher end

Top DriveTime Reviews

Customer service was right on, upbeat, extremely helpful and gave me exactly what I asked for and everything I wanted in and with the car. Went over the car with me and made sure everything was working and I was satisfied before I left the store.

I had a great experience at DriveTime. They let me pick the car I want and ask me how much I would like to put down and they were so friendly and nice. Had a great time buying one of my dream cars.

What is DriveTime?

DriveTime.com is an online car buying site with 138 accompanying physical dealerships nationwide. DriveTime specializes in providing auto financing for people with weak credit or no credit. It just takes two minutes to fill out an online application and see if DriveTime can work with you to get the right car. Unlike some online car buying sites, DriveTime owns all of its dealerships, so it knows the vehicles they are selling.

How does DriveTime work?

The salespeople at DriveTime are salaried employees, relieving pressure on their part to make a sale. Instead, they are focused on providing customers with the most useful information possible. The DriveTime website has a wealth of resources on credit scores, auto financing and personal savings goals. You can search for the nearest DriveTime location on their website to view cars in person.

DriveTime used car inventory

As of this writing, the DriveTime inventory was 13,000 strong. With 13,000 vehicles to choose from at 138 DriveTime locations, you’ll have no shortage of choices. When you’re looking at cars online with DriveTime, you can view their safety ratings, features,  mileage and Kelley Blue Book pricing. DriveTime also accepts trade-ins.

DriveTime payment

All financing for a DriveTime purchase is done in-house, and they are open to accepting any credit score, including no credit at all. DriveTime down payments will vary based on the price of the vehicle and the customer’s financial situation. The 45-day hold on vehicles allows customers time to gather their down payment before officially paying for the car.

DriveTime features

Other features from DriveTime include:

• Two-minute online approval: All you have to do is enter some basic information, and in a few minutes you’ll know whether or not you’ve been approved for DriveTime financing.
  • Free AutoCheck vehicle history reports: To see the full history of your vehicle and make sure it hasn’t been in any accidents, just view the AutoCheck report that comes with every DriveTime vehicle.
  • Rigorous inspection process: Every DriveTime vehicle undergoes strict inspection to ensure it is in good working condition.
  • 5-day return policy: If you are dissatisfied with your vehicle for whatever reason, you can return it to DriveTime within 5 days.
  • 45-day holds for vehicles: Having trouble scrounging up a down payment? A 45-day hold allows you time to gather up the money you need to make a down payment.
  • Vehicle delivery: If you find a vehicle you like at a DriveTime location that isn’t the one nearest to you, DriveTime can ship it to a closer location.
  • Complimentary 30-day/1,500-mile warranty: This warranty will help keep you covered in case of an unexpected breakdown or another malfunction of the vehicle.
  • Range of options for down payments: Depending on your current financial situation, DriveTime can allow for varying amounts of down payments.

DriveTime FAQ

Is DriveTime a buy here pay here?
Yes. You can apply for financing through a DriveTime location, which makes it a buy here pay here (BHPH) dealership.
What is DriveTime Select?
Also called the DriveTime CHAMP program, DriveTime Select rewards customers for paying off their auto loan balances.
Does DriveTime work with bad credit?
Yes. DriveTime specializes in selling vehicles to people with bad credit.
Does DriveTime take trade-ins?
DriveTime does accept trade-ins. You can have your car appraised in person and decide if you want to trade it in.
Does DriveTime have GPS on their cars?
Yes. DriveTime uses GPS to keep track of a vehicle’s location.

Is DriveTime good?

DriveTime is a good option for people who have either no credit or less than optimal credit. DriveTime has more than just a wide array of used cars at fair prices. Additional features like a 30-day warranty and 45-day vehicle hold make it a solid choice for your next vehicle purchase.

DriveTime Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We were in a rollover on July 1st, that totaled our car. As anyone knows whose been in an accident, the aftermath dealing with insurance companies and finding a new vehicle, is a long and irritating process. Especially since, we had not even owned the car a year. After finding out that a normal loan company would not deal with us while we were in the settlement process with our car, we started looking at used dealerships. DriveTime, was one of the first we started browsing cars on. The immediate approval process was quick, and we could start browsing cars in our area right away. We chose the dealership on Bell Rd and 15th st.

When we walked in we were immediately greeted by a wonderful lady named Jessica. After blurting out our rollover story, I told her I was there to look and had planned on bringing my boyfriend back later to show him which one I had decided on. I cannot say enough GOOD things about Jessica. She was everything you'd want in a salesperson. She was patient with me, as I asked question after question after question. She was kind and understanding as I flip flopped between two vehicles, One I was in LOVE with another that I was not really for but it was in our price range and would be seen by all on the road, which was Boyfriend's number 1 concern. She was understanding and not short tempered with me as I added and took off the packages they offered. She didn't miss a beat when I brought boyfriend back and told her that, that day we would NOT be taking a car home. She was kind and attentive, after I made my decision and held a vehicle.

She didn't call me everyday to make sure I was still coming back for the car, but once every few days to ask if we were still on track and if I had any questions she could answer for me. The day we came back to pick up the car, She was slammed. Helping so many customers, finish up the buying process. She was even still attentive and friendly. But the biggest selling feature, was how willing to help her out the other salespeople were. We ended up finishing up with another gentleman, who didn't miss a beat, as he helped her out and answered all my last minute questions. I was and am still completely impressed by our experience with THIS DriveTime. I know should we ever need to purchase a second car, we will start our journey at DriveTime. Thank you Jessica, and the DriveTime staff for everything!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have purchased many vehicles in the duration of my life, worked with many sales teams and loan officers, and have never worked with a Greater Team than at DriveTime. I work at Goodwill and make $10 an hour, have had some devastation in my life and lost everything, and worked very hard to start my life over with Nothing literally. I walked and rode the bus in Austin, Tx for 8 months while I saved $1000 for a down payment. I had given up hope on being financed for a vehicle, when I received a phone call from a gentleman at DriveTime. His name is ** and he was amazing along with his team. He understood that I was on foot and offered to pick me up and give me a ride to the dealership to look at vehicles and discuss my options. He truly treated me with kindness, genuine love, and the utmost respect for my situation of starting over in life, and understood that I had blemishes on my credit.

He was like an Angel sent From heaven and his whole goal was to help me rehabilitate my life by helping me to obtain affordable transportation. He came out of the dealership with Three sets of keys to vehicles and pulled all three out prepared to show me all of them so professionally and was very proficient in his knowledge of his product and all the vehicles he was selling. If he wasn't able to answer my question he immediately involved his manager who was equally as amazing as he was, and great at helping me understand and answer my questions with great enthusiasm and love for the product. I was only looking for an older model vehicle like a 2007-2010 thinking that was all I could afford and my credit would allow. These guys put me in a 2014 Chevrolet Malibu in perfect condition and very low miles for $1000 down and even drove to come get me and my father the day of finalizing the deal and paperwork.

I had an amazing experience with the entire team at DriveTime located at 5432 S. IH 35 Austin, TX 78745. I just cannot truly put into words how wonderful my salesman, loan officer, and the Manager were to me. They blessed me in so many ways, treated me better than a person with high dollar money, and God only knows how hard I work and have worked just to make ends meet and survive. I would Most definitely recommend DriveTime to anyone I know and would return my business a thousand times over. These guys are Great and they work for a solid company with great Merchandise via Cars, Suvs, and Trucks. My Chevy Malibu is such a blessing and more than I ever could have hoped for at this point in my life. Thank You so very much my Lord and Guys at DriveTime!!!!

Original review: March 29, 2019

After seeing other reviews of DriveTime, I was leery of what I would find after setting up my appointment. I submitted the online application and got pre-approved for a down payment of $495 or higher. My credit isn't the greatest, having gone through two bankruptcies in the past, so I was pretty much expecting a high down payment, but that was reasonable. So I looked at the selection of vehicles and set up a time to meet with the sales staff.

The salesman, Graham, was very nice and knowledgeable of their inventory. He didn't treat me like just another number, which was refreshing. He walked me through the completion of the application process and in about twenty minutes they had me approved for a diverse selection of vehicles, all close to what I was searching for (decent gas mileage, under 50,000 miles, newer model, mid-size, etc). Graham walked me through every vehicle, let me look at them, sit in them, weigh the pros and cons. He was very patient and understanding and answered every question I asked.

I did find a vehicle I liked, and while the down payment was a little higher than the pre-approval quote (600 as opposed to 495) I didn't feel it was unreasonable. After deciding on a 2014 Buick Encore, Graham went over the Experion history of that vehicle with me so there were no surprises. I really liked that I knew what to expect, they knew what they were selling and I didn't feel like they were just "trying to get the sale". They really take pride in what they're offering and want to make sure you're comfortable with your purchase. I would definitely use DriveTime on I-240 in Oklahoma City again, and absolutely will recommend to anyone looking to purchase a decent used vehicle at with no hassle or pushy salespeople. Thank you, DriveTime!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I came to purchase a vehicle for my daughter. I called the day prior inquiring about a car and that we would be in the next day. Specifically, a light green Ford Fiesta. After a couple of hours, we decide we will make the purchase. Unbeknownst to me, the interest rate is 24%!!!! I have almost PERFECT CREDIT!!!! No one told me DriveTime does NOT use a buyer's credit to determine the interest rate! Instead, they use some tiered system they made up which determines the interest rate to make more money!! This is highway robbery!

The only reason you gained my business was that I could not find this particular color anywhere. We drove two hours! A suggestion would be to notify customers of this so they have an option to obtain their own loan before wasting their time! The staff said there was nothing they could do! Even the GM-Oliver had no power to change this rate! I plan on getting my own loan for 4% and paying off this ridiculous loan ASAP! You will NEVER gain my business of anyone I know ever again! The only thing that made this experience somewhat bearable was the staff - apologetic, service was exceptional! Hats off to them for being subjected to conditions they have no control over.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Let's start with the not so good. They only had 1 car in our price range, luckily we really liked that car so it was not a big deal. The wait to be seen was a little over an hour and whole process took somewhere close to 5 hours. The good part. The whole process was super easy. There was no haggling, everything was laid out in front you and what you saw is what you got. My credit is not the best, but I definitely got a payment I can manage.

The best part. Nick, our salesman was AWESOME! His ability to crack jokes and laugh with us as I anxiously bought my first car really put me at ease (well as much at ease as someone can be with horrible anxiety lol). Nick gave us time and space to talk and at no point did we feel pressured. Nick seemed more like an old friend than a salesperson. He was very patient with us and his smile never left his face. You could tell he was comfortable with his job by how good he is at it. He seemed to really believe in the company he works for (or does a fantastic job faking it). Nick rocks, give that man a raise! The manager who went over all our financial stuff was awesome too, he took the time to answer our questions and was polite and helpful. All in all this was it was a very good experience! Yes it is stressful, but the staff at the Cincy location are great and I recommend it to anyone looking for a new used car. Great selection for the 12k-15k range.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Elena ** was a 5 star sales woman. Unfortunately I was allowed to drive off the lot with a car that needs a new transmission and struts. I am stuck hoping the inspector approves my claim. If not, no one has told me what will happen next. I am on disability and the car I got was within my budget. I went to you because I needed a car for my Dr's appointment, getting my medication, and going to the store. It will be summer soon. I have been having to take the bus for about a week. I do not want my money back, I want a car. I can not pay any more for a down payment or payments. I'm just surprised that you would allow a car in that bad of shape drive off the lot.

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for writing your review. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your purchase due to the transmission and strut concerns you encountered after purchase.

Please know that we make our best effort to identify existing mechanical malfunctions by inspecting each of our vehicles prior to sale. However, due to the nature of pre-owned vehicles, these issues may sometimes occur after our customers leave the lot. It is for this reason, that we include our initial 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty, as well as the extended Vehicle Service contract that we offer as an optional add-on.

That said, I want to apologize again for any frustration or inconvenience this situation has caused you, and I hope that you are able to get your claim resolved through SilverRock as quickly as possible. If you need further assistance, or you would like some additional insight, please contact our Customer Relations team at (888) 290-0148.

Sincerely,

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Let me say I will never refer anyone to DriveTime. The sales person really had no idea what he was doing. All he could tell me the best feature of the car was the color. Then when I purchased my 2015 Chevy Equinox within 2 days the wiper motor went completely out in a storm and had to drive with no windshield wipers. Next day I take into the shop to see if it would be covered under my warranty and nope not covered so $253 out of pocket within 2 days. Then I was hearing a rumbling when I was driving 2 weeks later. Took it to the shop to come and find out that all 4 tires are warped and they said they have been liked that for a while so they called my extend warranty place to inform them of that and nope not covered another $600 out of pocket..

Month later engine light comes on and my car kept stalling in the middle of while I was driving and come to find out the intake gaskets were bad and guess what not covered under warranty. And now my exhaust system is bad and have to replace that now which not for sure how much this is going to cost but guess what not covered under warranty. I have not had this vehicle a year yet and already over $1000 in repairs.

What is the point in paying for an extend warranty if nothing is covered. This place is a joke and I will make sure none of my friends buy from this place. All it is to sucker you in there and get your money and they don't care about the rest or their customers. I have been on the phone between Bridgecrest, Silverock and drivetime for over an hour and half today and all they can say is, "Sorry we will document your concerns." It is just a real shame on how they treat people and not willing to help.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I regret to hear about your Chevy Equinox's mechanical concerns and apologize for any inconvenience that may have resulted from these circumstances.

If a mechanical failure is confirmed within our Limited Warranty period of the first 30-days/1,500-miles, the repair would be covered. However, if the vehicle holds any factory coverage or results in a factory recall for the failed component, the vehicle would be referred to the manufacturing dealership for repair. Please know any factory coverage will take precedence over the services and products we offer as a used car dealership.

Although all the vehicles DriveTime sells are pre-owned, we do our best to prevent our customers from having to worry about mechanical concerns by having each vehicle go through our inspection and evaluation, which is completed before the vehicles are moved to our sales lots. This is when the tires and other wear or “maintenance” items are checked to ensure they meet DriveTime’s guidelines. Please keep in mind that some vehicles may show more wear than others, depending on use. We also offer the option to purchase a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) for 5-years/50,000-miles to assist in most situations. It’s important to be aware that the VSC does not cover maintenance or cosmetic items and if repairs happen to be non-covered, they would be considered the cost of ownership. I am sorry if your tires wore and were not covered resulting in an out of the pocket expense.

We thank you once more for your review and send our deepest apologies if this experience has negatively impacted your impression of DriveTime. Should you wish to further discuss your review, please reach out to our corporate Customer Relations department at (888)290-0148 and a member of our team will be glad to speak with you.

Rebekah – Customer Relations

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Maggie was very helpful. My salesperson was so great. She got the car that I wanted. She got me in and out with no problems and help me find cheaper car insurance and I would recommend family and friends to her. Thanks a lot for all it help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Great in getting you approved...but the cars will have issues within a few weeks. They sell you cars with some cheap extended warranty and no computer updates! If everything is ran by the computer...why not updated before selling it?? I'm very angry as we bought 2 cars in the last 30 days. Will not recommend at all.

Hello,

Thank you for providing your review and thank you for being a loyal customer. We truly appreciate you returning to DriveTime for another purchase. However, I am sorry to hear of the mechanical concerns that you encountered so soon after purchase, in addition to being discouraged with the coverage that we offer should you experience any vehicle issues.

Here at DriveTime, every pre-owned vehicle is evaluated at our inspection centers so we can locate any mechanical concerns that need to be resolved prior to being placed on our sales lots. In addition, every customer is provided a 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty, whichever comes first, along with an optional Vehicle Service Contract to assist in most situations thereafter that is administered by SilverRock. We provide these coverages because we are unable to determine if or when vehicle issues might arise post-sale. We take pride in our products which is why we take every action possible to make sure our vehicles are safe and measure up to the national highway standards. Our customers are welcome to suspend the optional ancillary products by accessing SilverRock’s cancellation website at www.sr-repairs.com.

Again, I truly apologize for any anguish or inconvenience that this has caused you. We truly value all feedback and will be using this to help improve our inspections at our centers. Should you wish to discuss your review in further detail, our Customer Relations division can be reached at (800) 965-8043 and a representative would be glad to assist.

Jodi-Customer Relations

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I bought a 2016 Jeep Patriot on December 26th of 2019. I had it 4 days and it began to overheat. I took it to a SilverRock (the warranty company) repair facility. They had the car 6 days and no work had been done. I ended up having to take it a different approved repair facility only to find out it had a blown motor. So Bridge Crest put me into a new 2013 Jeep. I drove it 7 days and it began to get engine problems. I took to the same place that found the blown motor. It had to have a fuel valve replaced. After 4 days I finally got it back, drove it for a week and it began to overheat. So I took it back to the same facility that had done the fuel valve repair.

The Jeep apparently had an improper radiator cap and the overflow reservoir was completely missing. The warranty company refused to pay for it so I got stuck with a 400 dollar repair bill before my first payment was made. Then as if that wasn’t enough 4 days later I’m in the shop again with the engine light on waiting to get the diagnostic done. I’ve had a this car a little more than a month and so far I’ve been in shop once a week. Haven’t even made my second payment. Do not buy a car from these crooks.

DriveTime response

Thank you for reaching out to us and I am truly sorry to hear of the mechanical concerns you experienced with your prior vehicle, in addition to the one you are currently in.

DriveTime’s pre-owned vehicles are evaluated at our inspection locations before being placed on our sales lots. Every vehicle comes with a Limited Warranty which provides coverage within the first 30 days of sale or 1,500 miles driven, whichever comes first. We also offer an optional Vehicle Service Contract, which offers assistance in most circumstances after that. The reason behind us offering these coverages is that we are unable to predict if or when mechanical concerns might arise.

Please know that we do our best to make sure that our customers are directed to a convenient and appropriate repair facility that would be able to accommodate our customer’s concerns in a timely manner. It is important to know that some repair facilities may not be able to perform certain repairs needed on a customer’s vehicle which would result in the vehicle being transported to another location.

We truly apologized for any inconvenience that this has caused and will be using your feedback to help improve our inspections at our centers. Should you wish to discuss your review in further detail, please contact our Customer Relations department at (800) 965-8043 and an agent would be glad to assist.

Jodi-Customer Relations