Call toll free
4.17/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

DriveTime Automotive Group Inc., based out of Phoenix, Arizona is one of the nation's largest used car dealership networks focused on providing customers with a great used vehicle.

DriveTime Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

6147 DriveTime Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would recommend Drive Time to a lot of my friends and family. They work you. If u dont believe in miracles well here you. I got my car from van nuy and the staff there was very helpful treated me like family.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We had a great experience at Drivetime. Our sales associate Paul ** made the process very smooth from start to finish. He even washed our new truck himself for us! We will definitely recommend Drivetime to our friends and family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Salesman Jerome ** is a wonderful asset to the company. He made the transaction easy and calmed my nerves due to the back and forth with the finance department. It was somewhat of a hassle and nerve-racking for them to confirm what was needed for my LLC, but in the end it was worth it. I would recommend this dealership due to the speed of the process and salesmanship.

Hello Ebony,

Thank you for writing your review, I am glad to hear Jerome provided excellent and timely customer service! However, I do apologize for the concern that arose during the actual financing portion of the sale.

Our main goal is to provide the best in customer service as well as a quick and stream-lined car buying process for all of our valued customers. We certainly want to make sure we set up our customers for financial success and help rebuild or build their credit. In order to do so, the approval process might take a little bit longer than anticipated.

Please know that we value all feedback and we will be using your feedback to help improve our level of service. Should you wish to provide additional feedback or discuss your experience further, please contact our Customer Relations Department at 888-290-0148. Thank you again for your time!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

He was amazing to work with, very knowledgeable and patient. He made sure I left the lot with the car I loved. This is my second purchase from DriveTime and you guys never cease to amaze me. Thank you again for your excellent customer service. Sincerely, a customer for life.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

From the moment I arrived I was greeted by a salesman (Sergio **) at the door. Kinda had a SUV in mind. Was looking for a second vehicle for my wife. From that point I was in and out in 3hrs and was never pressured during process by sales team. Very relaxed process. Test drove the SUV I had seen online and ended up purchasing it. My salesman was very knowledgeable and presented all details in a professional manner to me. Was introduced to the sales manager who also was polite and professional. For someone who use to be in new car sales, this was a wonderful experience. I drove 80 miles to visit them. Would definitely recommend anyone in the Knoxville area to consider checking DriveTime out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DriveTime?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Customer service was great. Car runs great. Everyone at DriveTime treated me well. Would definitely send some people to buy from there. Will definitely be buying a new car there again. Thank you for the experience.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Jasper was super helpful. I enjoyed this experience. So happy with my new ride. Already recommended to my sister. I know that she will get all the help she needs. Especially if she goes to Jasper. I can't say it enough how much he helped me understand everything I needed to know.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I purchased a car from the Mobile location in October of 2017. I’ve had a great experience with DriveTime/Bridgecrest (their finance company). The car buying experience was easy, and the finance company will work with you if unfortunate situations arise. Since the website gives you the amount of your down payment, I was able to plan for my purchase. I also like that I was able to get a late model car with low miles for an affordable price.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Mrs. ** and her staff did an excellent job with helping me with my process. It was easy, painless and not too bad of a buying process. It was actually the best car buying experience ever, thanks again to DriveTime and their staff.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I am a single mother with poor credit. I heard about DriveTime and how they will help and finance anyone. First I had a extremely high interest which I knew I would. I was ok with that at least until I could build my credit through them. So the interest wasn’t as much of an issue. Well at DriveTime you make two car payments a month. That was the second downfall. Still I got past that. Even though I had a bad feeling I thought this is this best I can do because of my credit.

Then I bought a 2009 Toyota Avalon. A car I know well. My mother owned one and Toyota’s are great cars because I have owned 3 myself. I took the car on a test drive and tried to turn on the GPS screen and nothing. The salesman told me I needed to update it and that’s why I wasn’t working. Then I noticed not even the radio or hands free was working. So he assured me I had this 30 day warranty and their mechanic would fix it. So I purchase the car. Then two days before I was going to bring the car to check the GPS and hands free screen system, the compressor goes out. Brakes Plus replaced the compressor for me and the next week I’m off to see about the GPS, etc. I took my Avalon to a different very highly rated family owned but contracted through DriveTime.

I get a call from the owner of the mechanic shop he was so angry, not at my at DriveTime. He asked if I was sitting down because he had to give it to my straight and he would feel very dishonest fixing this car because this car is a flood vehicle. He said is has severe water damage. All electrical is either going out or will go out within 6 months. He could not believe that they sold me this car. He said they supposedly have their cars inspected and he said there is no possible way a certified mechanic did an inspection on the car. He called DriveTime for me and demanded they give my down payment back in full and they will pay him for his time. Thank god this honest mechanic helped me! He could’ve changed DriveTime and sent me on my way instead he demanded I be treated fairly.

There I was after 3 weeks of hell, only driving my car for maybe a week and depending on riders for my son and I. I am telling my sorry to warn those with bad credit or little credit to try places who source outside financing. These in house financing car dealers can be very dangerous. They feed on us at the bottom of the credit scale. They sell cars that are damaged or low quality. They shine them up and touch up the paint but they do not check the cars for water damage. Please try other dealers. Just try.

After this experience I went to a big dealership in the PHX they financed me for half the rate and got me in a quality certified car. I feel blessed even though this was a horrible experience. If I had waited past the 30 day warranty I would’ve been out a car. I have one single payment a month, not two. I am happy and loving my newer Avalon with half the miles! When my mom and I went to look at. Are the dealers in the lot were sooo nice and so willing to help us. Then when we went back for the refund we were ignored and were treated rude as if we were in the wrong! They should’ve been ashamed and apologetic! Nothing.

Please I am taking time to write this to warn single women and/or poor credit consumers not to go here! Also very very overpriced! You pay for having poor credit in many ways when you go here. It’s a shame! Do not go here! Thanks for letting me vent and share my story. I am one who writes good reviews when deserved. This is my first bad business review to date and I’m 41.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for writing your review and I am deeply sorry if you feel that we misled you in any way during your sales experience regarding your pay frequency or the condition of your desired vehicle. Our main goal is to provide the best in customer service, as well as helping our customers build or re-build their credit by setting them up for financial success.

I also want to apologize that you were dissatisfied with your current loan terms. Please be advised that these terms are determined based on your pay frequency the dealership was able to obtain from the documents provided by you at the time of purchase. Throughout the life a loan, if ones pay frequency from their employer ever changed, our customer can contact Bridgecrest (our loan servicing company) to determine if they have any options for assistance.

Please know that all of our vehicles are inspected prior to sale as we do get these vehicles used from third parties. The vehicles sold from DriveTime are pre-owned and as a result there are times where mechanical concerns may arise post-sale. For this reason, every vehicle sold from DriveTime comes with a 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty along with an optional Vehicle Service Contract. In addition, each customer is provided a copy of the Experian AutoCheck History Report which details previous owners, title information, or accidents if applicable.

With this being said, again, my sincere apologies to you and should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our Customer Relations Department where a representative will be glad to assist.

Jodi-Customer Relations

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My experience at the West Palm Beach DriveTime was nothing but amazing. They give you options and make you feel in control. This definitely isn’t your typical car sales place. Paolo ** provided amazing service. I’m highly satisfied with my new car.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Staff was very accommodating and helpful. They also took into consideration what I was looking for as well as my budget needs. The vehicle I purchased was in brand new conditions and drives great. I would definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Fast sale and good 2016 Dodge van. I was just upset when ask about a small dent and scratch by tail light and was told could not be fixed by salesman that’s why I gave a three star. But everything is good so far.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for providing your review. I am pleased to hear that the sales process went smooth, however, I am saddened to hear of your disappointment with the cosmetic concerns.

Please know that all of our vehicles are pre-owned. During the sales process, our sales team will perform a “walk around” with our customer to see the basic operations and accessories on their vehicle. A Vehicle Delivery Checklist will also be presented and signed, which also indicates that some minor cosmetic issues may be present which DriveTime, unfortunately, is unable to assist with.

Should you wish to provide any additional feedback, you may contact our Customer Relations department at (800) 965-8043 and a representative will be glad to assist.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience and we are glad to hear you are happy with your van overall!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I bought one car from Owings Mills. It was great. It was totaled, bought another, not so great. It has warning lights on the dash, low air in tires, no gas and an open recall. I want to know how to remedy these issues, if anything.

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear of your recent accident and hope you are okay. Additionally, I would like to apologize for the mechanical concerns that you are currently experiencing so soon after purchasing a second vehicle with DriveTime.

Please know that all of our vehicles are pre-owned and inspected prior to being placed on our sales lots. Since we are unable determine if or when mechanical concerns may arise, each vehicle sold from DriveTime comes with a 30 day/1,500 mile Limited Warranty along with an optional Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) to assist in most situations.

In addition, DriveTime provides a Recall Acknowledgement at the time of contracting which indicates any open recalls on your vehicle that need to be performed at an original manufacturer’s location. At this time if you have received any notice on an active recall, I would encourage you to contact the manufacturer for possible additional recall information.

Should you wish to discuss these concerns further, I would encourage you to contact our Customer Relations Department at (800) 965-8043 and a representative can assist you.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Not have been purchased me a 2017 Kia Soul from the DriveTime in Salem Virginia and the salesmen stated between West Virginia and Virginia DMV to see if my tags had arrived yet through the mail and if they had lived that they would reissue me a set of 30-day tags for another month until my tags. Well let him hold. They never called me. Me being a busy business owner forgot and got pulled over for expired tags and got a ticket for $160 Blackhawk DriveTime while I'm sitting there with the officer and they stated to me that there was no such thing said to me and that they didn't believe that their sales representative state that they would send me out and I get a phone call from DriveTime and they told me that they're going to look into it.

I called back in the DriveTime to see if they were going to assist me in paying this hundred and sixty some-odd dollar ticket and all the sudden there's been a change in my file on the 27th of November and it was my fault that I didn't get attacked. Well how is it my fault when you didn't call me. You didn't reissue tags. You can somehow. Probably at this point it's looking like that they have went in and alter their documentation because the officer heard them say that they would make no statement that they wouldn't give another 30 days instead of tags and then all the sudden computers have changed to $160 ticket mileage, off of work.

Hello Donley,

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about what you have recently experienced with DriveTime. I want to apologize that you have encountered this problem regarding your registration and subsequent fees or tickets. I want to be able to review this further.

Kaitlyn – Customer Relations

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I was taken care of by Reginald ** at the Marietta, Georgia location and he was beyond amazing. I have never had such a painless and enjoyable car buying experience until now. He explained everything in detail to me and before we did anything he simply asked me what I wanted and he more than provided that. I will definitely be recommending him to anyone I know that is looking for a vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have financed a truck from DriveTime for 2 years now and in that 2 years I have only driven it 5 times. The truck has been in the shop more than I have driven it. The extra warranty I purchased isn't worth the paper it is written on, doesn't pay for anything and I tried to get help from, this company and no one would help. Now I have a truck I cannot drive nor trade, too much equity because they have overpriced their vehicles. So I have to finish paying off the loan and all it's doing now is collecting dust in the driveway. I would not recommend this place to no one. False advertisement.

Hello Della,

Thank you for providing your review and I am sorry to hear of the mechanical concerns that you have experienced over time which limited you from enjoying your vehicle.

Please know that the vehicles sold from DriveTime are pre-owned and as a result there are times where mechanical concerns may arise post-sale. For this reason every vehicle sold from DriveTime comes with a 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty, along with the optional Vehicle Service Contract, to assist in these situations.

Please keep in mind that at times repairs will be needed on the vehicle that will be considered a non-covered component and would be considered the customers’ cost of ownership.

It is important to know that any DriveTime customer can trade in their vehicle at anytime and anywhere. If there is a remaining balance due on the account after the trade-in appraisal amount, DriveTime would not be able to assist with any of the remaining balance. Regarding the total price of the vehicle, we provide a Federal Truth in Lending Disclosure during the contracting process. This disclosure details the APR, the finance charge, the amount financed, the total amount expected to be paid throughout the life of the loan, and the total sales price.

Should you wish to further address your concerns, please contact our Customer Relations Team and a representative will be glad to assist.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Bought 15 Buick Enclave. Jacob made this the most easiest experience at buying a car!! Knoxville DriveTime is the best!! I was super impressed by the time frame. I had not planned on a purchase for at least a few more months, however the selection of cars available is amazing!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Was disappointed I couldn't get the car I wanted but DriveTime helped me see my car was just as good. I love my first car. It looks great and I enjoyed the time spent at DriveTime looking for it. Giovanni ** helped me look for my car and he is great! I recommend working with him when you go. I know I'll be looking for him for my next car!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Evan was very patient and helpful. He even was accommodating to my son. He treated me like I mattered and I was important. I would recommend DriveTime and Evan to anyone looking for a car. The whole process was so much easier than my last car purchase.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Amber and the whole team were great. They guided me through the whole process making it enjoyable and easy. Will definitely recommend them to everyone. I love my car and have already had several people compliment me on it. Most people say they thought it was a new car. Thanks for a great car buying experience.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape from a Phoenix AZ location - Just after the 30 warranty expired the transmission had problems, major problems. Was replaced and the repairs that weren't covered by the extended warranty were picked up by DriveTime. It took 3 weeks for the shop they recommended to do the work. Car was in worse condition than before we took it in. Same problems as before plus now it runs horribly and the heater doesn't work. Out an additional 800$ on a rental plus the payments I made still. Now NO car and no rental. Was not worried about the payment, even though high I thought I was getting a decent car. Would have been better off just buying actual lemons instead of this car, at least I could of had lemonade to drink while I am walking.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide your feedback. I want to sincerely apologize for any frustration caused by the transmission problems you had encountered shortly after sale, as well as the time needed to perform the initial repair work.

Please know that we take precautions to avoid these situations by performing an initial vehicle inspection on each unit prior to sale. However, as is the nature of pre-owned vehicles, there are sometimes instances in which mechanical malfunctions may occur after sale. To alleviate the potential impact on our customers, each of our vehicles include the initial 30-day/1,500-mile Limited Warranty that you had briefly mentioned in your review, as well as the Vehicle Service Contract that we offer as an optional add-on.

That said, we’re truly sorry to know that this has been an ongoing issue for you. Upon further review, I see that you have been actively working with my department regarding the concerns mentioned in your review. I ask that you please continue communicating with my department while we work toward an amicable resolution.

Jacob – Customer Relations

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

DriveTime blew all the stereotypes about car salesmen out of the water. They weren't too pushy, were direct and gave me great advice. The price for an almost-brand new truck was amazing and I am very happy with it. It was a great experience and would definitely recommend them to others. Tracy was great, and I would recommend him.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Bought a car on 1/3/19 and the next day the transmission blew while driving it!! Was told I would be put through to the Maintenance group to have it fixed. I said absolutely not because I hadn’t even had the car 24 hours. Put through to manager, he stayed until the tow truck brought us to the dealership and he put me in a different car. Just pissed because I had just filled the old car up with a full tank of gas and everything.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Bought a 2016 Nissan Versa from Tallahassee FL location. With 200 miles left in 30 day warranty "Check Engine" light came on. Mechanic read the code and said it was a stored hard code and someone erased it so it wouldn't be seen. Hmm salesman said all cars are checked over real good including any check engine light codes so could they have erased it instead of fixing it? Now 145 miles past the warranty car will no longer run. Haven't even made first payment and car already is junk. Can't even drive it. Run as far as you can from these people. Do your research.

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for providing your review and I truly apologize for the Check Engine Light concerns that you have experienced so soon after purchase.

Please know that all of our vehicles are pre-owned and inspected. During the inspection process, if there are any components requiring replacement or repair this is completed prior to the vehicle being placed on our sales lots. With that being said, it is difficult to determine if and when mechanical concerns might arise post-sale. For that reason, every vehicle come with a 30 day/1,500 mile Limited Warranty along with an optional Vehicle Service Contract.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, I would encourage you to contact our Customer Relations Department at (800) 965-8043.

Jodi-Customer Relations

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

BUYERS BEWARE!!! I recently purchased a car at DriveTime in Columbus, Ohio. The actual buying experience was great, the person who helped me was very nice and worked with me to get me a car. A few days after driving it I noticed it pulling to the right, I had a 30 day warranty with SilverRock so I took it to a place in their network for an alignment. The dealership I took it to informed me that I had 3 bad tires, needed an alignment and the battery tested extremely low. They called in the claim and were told the battery and alignment are covered but not the tires.

They refuse to replace them, and continue to fight with me about it as if it were going to bankrupt them to do so. They are ignoring the full diagnosis of the tires that state they are cupped on the inner and outer tread, and the tread is reading at 5/32, 5/32 and 4/32. This cupping not only causes road noise and a less than smooth ride, but it causes me to hydroplane when it's raining. When I mentioned this to the manager, Morgan, he simply told me all cars hydroplane all the time and there is nothing wrong with these tires.

So I want to warn you that this is how they handle their business, they are jeopardizing the SAFETY of their customers and ignoring the warnings from 2 different mechanics. They do not feel this is their mistake nor should they fix it. I flat out told them I do not feel safe on the road with the condition of these tires but they continue to dismiss my claims and talk to me as if I were a child. Now I realize I bought a used car, but there is no excuse for it to have these issues that should have been checked and replaced before I drove it off the lot. DriveTime and SilverRock are highly unprofessional, unreasonable and are perfectly fine with me driving on dangerous tires that can easily be replaced. I feel taken advantage of and completely unsafe in my newly purchased vehicle. If I had the option to return it I would, but I no longer have my original car. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY.

Hello Catherine,

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. I want to apologize that you have encountered these concerns with your vehicle. Please know that while we inspect all of our vehicles prior to placing them on our lots, they are pre-owned. It is for this reason that we offer the 30 day Limited Warranty on all of our vehicles. With that being said, I see that you have been in contact with my Customer Relations team and encourage you to maintain contact so that we may reach an amicable resolution.

Kaitlyn - Customer Relations

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Gavin was an awesome salesman and he worked really hard to find something that could suit my needs. He was patient and knowledgeable. My interest rate was really high bc of my credit, but he made me feel good about my purchase.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We are very pleased with our purchase. We are also very pleased with our customer service experience. Michael ** was a phenomenal person to deal with. He was down to earth, and listened to our wants and got us into a vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I really like the good customer service at the Olathe DriveTime location. We were very satisfied. They took time and went over every detail of any question I had. They listened to my wants and needs as far as a new car. Even offered options that best fit what I was looking for. I felt very comfortable in this investment. I am so glad I had this experience.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I bought a 2014 Jeep Patriot. They did hold it for 2 weeks till I came up with the $500. Then when I went to pick it up there was a totally new guy that sold me the vehicle. I purchased the GPS and it said the battery was low so all he said was driver's little bit and then call warranty company. The same day CenturyLink was down so they gave me a 3-day temporary plate so I went back 4 days later not knowing that he emailed me replacement plate because you never gave me a call. And I live 45 miles away.

On that day I brought it to his attention that the windshield wiper fluid wasn't working because somebody put water in it and it froze. He was quickly telling me just to call the warranty company or to take it up to Meineke. So I guess I'll my next day off I got to drive round trip about a hundred miles to go get it checked out and to get the battery checked out. Oh yeah on top of everything on it needed a oil change but the guy just told me to contact the warranty company and he said Judy tells people to get a oil change within the first month of purchasing a car but he never told me when I picked up the car. Just be wary when you buy a vehicle DriveTime in Albuquerque the one across from CarMax. They want your business but they're quick to get you out.

Hello Anare,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and I can understand your frustration pertaining to your DriveTIme experience.

Please know that all of our vehicles are pre-owned and inspected prior to being placed our lots for sale. Since our vehicles are pre-owned, it is hard to determine if and when mechanical concerns may arise. For that reason, every vehicle sold from DriveTime comes with a 30 day/1,500 mile Limited Warranty along with an optional Vehicle Service Contract to assist in most situations.

In addition, we understand that everyone’s time is of importance and I apologize that you had to make an unnecessary trip back to our dealership regarding your temporary tag. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly be using this to improve our level or customer service, in addition to better communication from our employees.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our Customer Relations department at (800) 965-8043 and a representative will be glad to assist you.

DriveTime Company Information