Carmax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Carmax seems like a great place, you have tons of used cars all around the country easily shipped to your nearest dealer. I had recently got into an accident and was in desperate need for a car. I found the perfect car online at Carmax with all the exact features I wanted. I had Carmax ship it to my closest location waiting about 2-3 weeks for it. It gets here and I get an informal email telling me the car is here, not asking me to come down or setup an appointment. Alright, I know the car is here so I go and visit Carmax after work.

I bring a few friends along and we go take a look at it. Immediately greeted by an old guy that seemed to not care about anything. He was texting and talking on his phone as he had potential customers there. He took us outside, didn't talk at all, didn't help at all, couldn't even figure out where the damn car was, I had to find it in the lot on my own. I finally found it and I start looking it over doing some initial inspections. The front hood is heavily damaged from rocks and salt, the rear bumper was dismantled improperly where you can see the chipped paint where someone shoved a tool in there to pry it off. These were the first signs that I knew something shady has been going on with the car.

I open the trunk after finding the issue with the bumper and lift up the carpet. The entire spare tire well was repainted in the wrong color and there were slopped on streaks of bondo covering what I assume if a crack or a hole in the rear of the spare tire well. I did my research finding three different reports on this car. All came back clean, nowhere did it mention any of this "repair". I look around more and find some more dings and scratches and the headlights are filled with condensation.

Already mad I look at the sticker price (since they wouldn't list the price until after I looked at it). It was $3,000 above fair market value! Keep in mind that is for excellent condition and in no way was this car even in fair condition. I spoke up trying to talk to the guy and he did not care a single bit. He told me: "oh well just go find another car". So thank you very much Carmax. I will "go find another car." Never again will I do business with you! I should have listened to the numerous horror stories however it seemed too good to pass up.

I was in quick need of a new vehicle and my dad recommended Carmax. At the time I was carpooling an hour to work, so I settled on an Explorer. The mileage was good, looked good, and test drove well. Within the first month, I had transmission trouble. It was slamming into gear and not accelerating properly, so they had to rebuild it. The tread on the tires was also extremely low and I had to demand they be replaced for my safety. They give me a loaner car while the truck is in the shop (about a week). Another couple months down the road, transmission trouble again. At this point, we argue the vehicle is not mechanically sound and they need to buy it back and give me a different vehicle. They offer an appraisal, for less than half of what I bought it for, and say that is all they can offer.

Speak with the manager, call corporate, no solution. I kick myself and keep the vehicle through an engine replacement, 2 more rebuilds, and countless other mechanical issues. They had to repair the vehicle so much that their extended warranty was maxed out and on the fifth repair of the transmission, I had to pay $1800 out of pocket. I still have this vehicle because I can't yet afford to get rid of it, and it still has transmission and other mechanical issues. I will NEVER go to Carmax again and I urge my family and friends not to either.

Beware of Carmax when looking to purchase a car. They will not allow you to have your mechanic check out the car before buying. They have their "5 day return" policy, where you have to buy the car to find out if anything is wrong with it. Then you are at their mercy if you decide to return it. Read the reviews from people that have tried it. The customer should be first. Beware, if the cars are up and up, they wouldn't have a problem with you checking them out BEFORE committing to a purchase.

On July 10, 2016 I bought a car from Carmax in Raleigh, NC, out of necessity. My car broke down on the highway midnight on Saturday June 9th 2016, as I was returning home from visiting families in NC. A friend recommended Carmax because she knew a sales guy there and said he was honest. I went online and did find a car. I called the sales guy and scheduled to come in to get a car in my price (10-15K). I went the Capital Blvd location at 2:00 pm and was approved for a car. Because I was an out of state buyer, I could not get a tag and title from NC, so Carmax gave me a 30 days TEMPORARY NC TAG. The Manager stated I would get the proper paperwork in the mail within 10 days from date of purchase so that I can register my vehicle in my home state.

On July 20, 2016, I did not receive any document in the mail as promised. I called the business department and I was advised to give it another day or two. On July 24, 2016, I called again. I was advised that FedEx had reported it delivered. (The Carmax representative on the phone asked for my mailing addressed to confirm it was sent to correct location). On Agust 5, 2016, I still had not received any mail from Carmax.

The 30 DAY Temporary (NC TAG) had expired. I called and made inquiry again about document to register my vehicle in MD. I got some rude, unprofessional, poor customer service reply from a young lady (name withheld) who said, "There is nothing Carmax can do for you at time, you just have to wait, because it was sent and we have the tracking number." I asked to speak to a manager and was put on hold for 45 mins and had the phone hang up in my ear, while I was still waiting. I called back and calmly asked to speak to a manager. I did get to speak with one (name withheld). I explained the problem, informed him that I had received ticket for expired tag, while park at a metro station, etc and etc. I asked the manager if I could get another Temporary Tag, while they resolve the missing tag issue. He stated due to legal reasons, CARMAX, could not issue me another tag. He stated he would look into the matter and get back to me.

I called several times and made complaints to corporate. I never RECEIVED LEGAL TAGS OR DOCUMENTS FOR THE CAR. I MADE my monthly payment each month. Instead Carmax only sent me several TEMPORARY (NC TAG) each month (although they said they could not legally?). I received police harassment, and tickets and I was advised by one office that the car was not legally mine. It was a rental car. I had a roadside emergency, I called OnStar, I was also advised the car was a rental car registered to ENTERPRISE. It has been a total nightmare. I could not drive car for a month. Long story short, I return the car and I am still pending resolution.

CARMAX Your BUSINESS MODEL DECEPTIVE, AND MANY OF YOUR SALES PITCH IS JUST THAT, A PITCH. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED. THIS WAS MY first auto finance and it has a very bad traumatic experience for me. I live in a state where police do not care about your sad stories or auto buying experience. I was pulled over by one police on 11-08-16, who said I had to show proof that I purchased the car because the tag looked "suspicious." She was correct, it was. The tag was handwritten with conflicting dates (expires in 30 from date written. Dated November 1, 2016). I hope Carmax corporate can do something to repair their image and restore trust with me and others customers who have been ripped off.

Traded in and bought car, saw that CARMAX interest rate was really high so called my normal lender Wright-Patt Credit Union (WPCU) and went through them - this was all at the signing table w/ the CARMAX salesperson. Took car home, signed paperwork w/ WPCU, but CARMAX still sent me a bill and said they never received paperwork from WPCU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Very disappointed. Offered trade in at lowest price possible after agreeing the car was in great shape. Offered $4000 selling similar car on their website for $10000 plus understand wholesale price and retail price however do not understand 150% mark up. Appraiser also did not like me questioning his valuation and was very aggressive. Also when test driving our car appraiser was driving it car very aggressively.

OMG... I was in need of a vehicle badly because my former vehicle was totaled by a deer so I was on the market for another vehicle. I kept passing this Carmax in the highway as their sign was huge and you could not miss it. So I decided to call and just get information about the company and try and get a feel for the customer service... That to me makes a big difference. I hate pushy car sales people. Being female I was being very cautious as to who I dealt with and how they treated me. So my car representative that I was working with showed concern and treated me well but when I began to be skeptical of the amount of mileage on the vehicles and the price tags Carmax had on their vehicles against the mileage on the cars I began to feel uneasy. My representative played her role right as I was not quick to jump and choose a vehicle... I think she sense not to be pushy or she would totally lose me.

Anyways here is how my negative ordeal began with them... I always say trust your gut instinct. I finally pick a vehicle and they transfer it free of charge according to them it took I believe 4 out of the 7 days they tell you about. So I finally go in to look at the car and had my down payment and all paperwork in hand I was sure I was gonna be driving my vehicle home that day. Get there, representative shows me the car, we look at it inside and out... I'm still waiting for her to offer to test drive which never happened... (Strike 1) I began to get suspicious so I didn't say anything and continued with the process. The vehicle had all the bells and whistles. I liked it as a 2008 though with 94,000 on it.

By the way no sooner than I step out of the vehicle Representative puts her hand out right away to snatch the key back as if she didn't want me to take off with the car or something... (Strike 2) By the time we sat to do paperwork... I'm still not feeling comfortable. Getting approval from Carmax is highway robbery. Their fees and rates are ridiculous and their gap insurance is so over priced which boost your monthly payments up. As I continue with the paperwork process I noticed that the representative is a little nervous as I began to read and notice their figures... So online the vehicle was priced at $19,0000, on paper the vehicle was priced at 17,000 by the time they added all their fees, their ridiculously interest rate as you go through their finance people...

They wanted me to sign on the dotted line for a 2008 used vehicle with 94,000 costing me $31,000 (Strike 3 and they were out). I look at both representatives and had to laugh at them... I'm sure they included in there that translated fee as well and tried to tell me that it was a free transfer. I just walked out... I could not believe how Carmax would take advantage of people. I do not understand how they are still in business. Listen, trust your gut instinct. Don't get sucked in because of your situation of needing a car. This is just a warning. But DO NOT jump into contract with this so called dealer without reading and paying attention to their fees and fine print. I didn't get sucked in but buyer BEWARE OF CARMAX.

I went to Carmax to try and see what price they would give me for my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. They only offered $10,000 for the vehicle. I have checked on NADA and the vehicle is in Average shape, which they listed it being worth around $15,000. Carmax will lowball you on the value of the vehicle and claim they base their offer by market value. Market value for jeeps is high, I have seen 2007 to 2009's sell on lots for $16,000 to almost $18,000. But if you try and trade it in they want to rip the customer off so they can make almost a $10,000 profit off of the vehicle.

I have never had such a hard time trying to sell a vehicle in my life, if a jeep is so popular and hold their value so much why is it so hard to sell? I have heard that banks will not give a car loan of $17,000 to a private individual because they will say the vehicle is not worth that amount. But, will give dealers loans for that amount on a used Jeep? I am starting to believe that the car market is a total rip off for the customer and a win, win for dealers and banks.

I had been approved online, then was contacted not long after by one of their Sales Reps. I was approved for a loan of 15K on a 12.5K vehicle. So over the course of a week i had my reservations on the 2012 Kia Optima I was willing to get. It had an oil flow problem that would cause the engine to seize. Ok, I thought, let me contact her and tell her no dice. I did that. After that I came back to her agreeing to the sale, as the issue resolving the vehicle was a simple fix one could perform in their driveway.

So after I agreed, she ran my credit again, hitting it twice in less than a week. I was still approved for the same loan amount, but my down payment, which was to be 500 jumped to 680. So I told her that it would be a few days before I could get to the dealership, as I was waiting for payday. So when the day came, I went down there expecting for everything to go smoothly. It did not. Not only was my recent pay raise removed from the original agreed upon arrangement, I was told that my loan was decreased and that my down payment would have to be 2K instead. They said that my recent promotion that increased my pay could not be included and that the following year's annual income would be favored instead, thus putting me into a lower income bracket than what I actually am. I was not happy. I will not be pursuing a car purchase from Carmax for just that reason. And, as a side note, destroyed my credit as well in the process.

Jan 2, 2016 went in to have 2012 GMC Terrain looked at. Engine light was on and was jerking furiously at every stop and had stalled a few times while in reverse. I explained all of this to Resa (service agent) and she's constantly telling me what it could be. I don't want to know what it could be, I want to know what it is. She tells me she can't get it in today but can make an appointment for the following Monday; Jan 9th (a whole week out for an appt), so I dropped my car off Sunday night, Jan 8th. Jan 9th Resa calls at 1030a to tell me they are taking my car in to test.

Fast forward to 430 pm, I call to check and another agent says she will call me back. Another hour later Resa calls and says, "Oh you had so many issues we couldn't get it all tested". I said, "you've had my car all day and haven't looked at it." She beats around the bush still saying I had too many issues. She basically lied the whole time because on my initial call at 1030a, she says she filling out a rental form for me. How long does it take to connect a diagnostics reader to a vehicle for the results. I say "so you've had my car all day and no one has looked at it." She says "you have 2 options. You can pick it up and take it somewhere else or we can look at it tomorrow."

By this time, I'm furious. I reiterated "so you've had my car all day and haven't looked at it." She says "yes and your car is not the only one." I said "I'm on my way to pick up my keys. WTH do I care how many others cars you have? You could've did your job and called me earlier to let me know so I could have made other arrangements." I picked up my keys and asked to speak to manager (Tim **), was told he was in meeting and was given his number. I called the next day and left CM. I have yet to receive a callback and today is Jan 13th. I also noticed when picking my car up, it was same place as I had parked the night before. So my car hadn't been touched at all.

I was already convinced I was sold me a lemon. Have had all types of problem since purchasing this vehicle. Now I'm sure. Absolutely hate I purchased a car from them and won't ever again. Absolute worst customer service period!!! Beware consumers, do not buy or take your car there for repairs. Louisville, KY location absolute worst. Please believe. I'm researching on filing a lawsuit for this vehicle.

I purchase a 2010 Chevrolet Impala from Carmax on Atlantic Boulevard in Jacksonville in September 2016. The next day after I brought the car I was driving on the highway and all of the dash gauges dropped. I drove it back to the dealer and they say it was a factory defect and that they would repair it. They repaired it. A month after I had the car I was driving down the highway and the vehicle just shut off on the highway. We managed to push it out of traffic and realized that the battery terminal had broken and this caused the vehicle to stop operating, very dangerous and scary. We managed to repair it. The same month I noticed small dents all over the car that you could not see unless you look at the car very closely. They had been painted over. Two months after I had the car I begin to hear a knocking noise coming from under the dash, the mechanic said that the mechanism that operate the vents had worn out.

Three months after I had the car I was leaving the gas station and put the car in gear and press the gas pedal and the car did not move. I put it back in park then back in drive and drove off. Later that evening my daughter in law was driving the car and it did the same thing. I was going to call Carmax the same day but before I could my neighbor inspected the car and said he believed it was previously a rental car. I called Carmax and talked to Rocky **. I asked him was it a rental car previously and he said yes. I asked him why was I not informed of this before I brought the car. He says it was included in the stack of paper work that I collected the day I picked up the car.

He said that they are not required by law to inform the customer that it is a rental car, but that Carmax does inform their customers when it is a rental car. I was not informed prior to the day I picked up the car and did not know that this information was on the history report that I was given the day I brought the car. Kelley Blue Book rates the car at $7,500.00 to $8,000.00 in good condition. I paid $10,000.00 for the car not including the finance charges. It also previously a rental car my neighbor says I should have not paid more than $6,000.00 for it. I found a 2012 with the same mileage that was a previous rental for $8,000.00. If I knew that the car was previously a rental I would not have brought it. And if I knew that I definitely would have not paid $10,000.00 for it.

I am very dissatisfied with the service I received and instead of being proud of purchasing an automobile from Carmax I am disgusted at how I was treated. If I could I would give the car away just to get rid of it but that would not be fair to the person I gave it to. I am returning to the dealer today and I will give you a update on the outcome.

I applied online for a car. I went through the approval process and was contacted by a salesman. I made an appointment in San Antonio and arrived at the dealership. My wife and I had already picked a couple of cars we were interested in. We drove an AUDI, which the car had to be jumped in order to start. The first key they tried was not recognized and the hood latch on the passenger side did not function. My wife asked if that would be fixed, the salesman said he didn't see a problem with the latch. So, we proceeded to do the rest of the paperwork, but Carmax said they needed additional information. We had to go home and obtain the rest of the paperwork which took 2 hours. When we got back, the first salesman was gone for the day.

They gave me a new salesman, which didn't really know what was going on. Keeping in mind I had already been approved, test drove the car and had the money laying on the desk, this new salesperson needed to see different paperwork. I brought pay stubs, bills in my name, driver's license, insurance and everything the first salesman needed. This new salesman wanted hospital bills in my wife's name. Now, being approved by a lender, with a down payment agreed on, all the required documents ready to go and on the desk that the lender needed, Carmax needs additional documents in order to sell the car.

They never took the car to the back to make it ready. They argued the entire time about selling me the Audi saying I can't own 2 vehicles or I need to trade my truck in. Then they didn't want to sell me the Audi. They tried getting us in a Lexus. I did not buy the car from Carmax. I have bought 2 previous cars from Carmax and my daughter has bought 2 cars from Carmax. This was the most horrible experience I have ever had from any business in America. The sales staff are unprofessional, untrained and incompetent. I will never buy a car from them again. I will urge anyone thinking of buying a car to not do it. I wasted 6 hours at Carmax. I will never be back.

Carmax had a truck in Omaha, NE. I paid $399.00 to ship it to Merrillville, Indiana. They said, it was immaculate! Failed to say it had dings all over the truck. Or someone tried to paint match all the dings with really runny paint. Or the gas smell in the new oil on the dipstick. Or the blue smoke flying out of the exhaust. Needless to say I was refused my money back for shipping it to me. "That is policy," I was told. I hope no one else loses $399.00 dollars on the hopes of finding the car or truck they wanted. Investigate your vehicle. I did and that is why I did not buy this truck. I knew the problems and knew my truck.

Went to dealership with an appointment to meet a specific seller only to find out that she, seller a, was not available. We had agreed on a maximum price prior to visit, and was told that was not an option after we arrived and met salesperson b. The car had been in an accident, and the glove compartment did not close at all on the left side. Hung open in fact. They said we should have that repaired as they would only send it to the dealer and cause us greater delay in getting the vehicle. Offered me less than half of what my trade in was worth claiming that they would have to sell it at auction. I did research on the vehicle we were planning to purchase to learn that they bought it at auction after the accident and had it repaired. The price was good, had everything else lined up, but I kept feeling like there was snake oil at every turn.

Thanked them for wasting 5 hours of my life as we drove 2 1/2 hours to look at this vehicle to come home empty handed from them. We stopped and bought a higher end new vehicle on the way home for less than 11K more than they wanted for a wrecked one in need of repair and are very satisfied. Would never go there again, and would not recommend them to anyone. It was not worth the trip, and the dealership even though it has many cars to choose from is not family friendly. I am sure if I had been 30 years younger female and wearing a mini skirt with no underwear, and a low cut blouse, that I would have gotten a good deal. However, that is not the case. I am a real person seeking transportation that I could have afforded to pay cash for and walked away empty handed with no additional offers, or no attempts to meet my needs in any way.

Long story here but I'll summarize it by saying that the company does a horrible job training its employees in how to take care of customers, particularly in communication skills. First sales rep I dealt with promised to call me back with updates about a car I had transferred from another city - no calls. I had to contact him then hope he would return my messages. He only did so once and this was over a 5 day period. He also misinformed me regarding how to make out the cashier's check for the downpayment which resulted in me and my fiance having to make additional trips to the bank to get the check rewritten. Luckily I had the text messages from him that documented that he had given me the incorrect info. At that point my account was handed over to another rep who only made excuses for the bad experience but never took ownership.

The store manager also addressed my concerns by saying "I apologize" over and over again - I don't need to hear multiple apologies, just acknowledge the mistake and take ownership. Everyone there has an excuse with an "I apologize" at the ready. To top it off, the car was dirty including a very stained floor mat on the driver's side that I could not believe they did not replace prior to me test driving the car. What happened when I voiced displeasure at this oversight? - "I apologize but..." insert excuse. At least once when I was trying to address the poor communication, an employee raised their voice to talk over me. I was calm the entire time but did let them know that they need to improve their training and/or focus on the customer. If this purchase had not been necessary due to a totaled car that happened right before the holidays, I would have canceled the purchase with them and gone elsewhere. Never again.

We applied at Carmax over the internet. We were denied... They didn't even have the correct spelling of my last name and it differs from my husband. There were 2 men that called me... Taylor ** and I don't have the other gentleman's name. They were supposed to get back to me, and I never received a response. They sent a letter addressed to me with the wrong last name to begin with. We went to Jack Winegardner and got a brand new 2016 truck. My daughter had went to Carmax a few years ago and she was very disappointed as well. We will never go back to them nor will I recommend them to anyone.

Back in May I bought a 2015 Dodge Caravan. During this process I took on some of the negative equity on my previous car. When the paperwork was being filed they submitted my loan request for more than mine babe had agreed to pay. Because of this they asked me to come up and sell the car back then purchase it again without the gap insurance. After I had done so there was another problem with my documentation. The cellar then let me in the community where am I we sold and purchased my vehicle again. After all of this the business office was having trouble getting my title. I did not receive my title until three months after my current tags have expired and I was unable to tag the vehicle I was driving without the proper documentation.

When I arrived back at Carmax I spoke with the business manager and the Forbidden Journey they told me that any tickets I received before I got the title would be covered by CarMax. Throughout the three months it took to receive my title I received two tag violations. When I called the business office they said that if I paid the tickets they would then return the money to me if I kept the receipts. Last week I went to CarMax with my receipts for my traffic violations and they said they felt that they were only accountable for 50% of one of the tickets. I stated over and over again that I had documentation stating that CarMax would pay for 100% of the tickets. After getting the run-around over and over again I was told I could come pick up my fifty bucks or nothing. I will never be purchasing a car with CarMax again.

Here's the thing: Carmax won't let you take their cars to your mechanic to have it checked out before you buy it. That tells you a lot. They cover this concern by telling you that you have 5 days to return the car if you don't like it. When I asked them to send me this document to my email, before I even go into the place, the salesman says ok -- but never sends it. It should be a legal document, with an employee's signature on it -- not just some quote off their website. As many people have complained, they are not getting their money back in a timely fashion. If there is a legal document describing the return policy, it would have to include the time limit they have to return your money -- or you can write it in and both of you initial it. THEN take them to court if they don't comply. THEN you might have a class action suit.

I would never recommend buying a car from Carmax again. They sold me an Nissan Altima with "one owner" and told me that they check everything out before buying the car. Four months later my transmission blown out on my brand new car. I called the company and the sales person they hung up on me numerous times and also told me that I'm on my own. They will not do anything to help fix the car at all. I spoke with the Nissan company and they told me that I'm the 3rd owner of the car. Carmax is major a ripoff. I wish I would have researched harder before buying a car from them.

They are terrible. Bought a car from them and they lied to me about Carfax. Then car has transmission issues the day after I got it so a few days later when I had time I took it to them and they had it for over a month. Get it back and the "new" transmission is bad also. They never once asked to take car back. I didn't get my initial trial bc they had it sitting at Carmax. The TPMS light was on also so today I go to my appointment for transmission and TPMS and Sat for 2 hours for them to tell me they have to order a TPMS sensor and I would have to pay for a rental to leave it with them. I tried to take it back and everything. I want out of this car and want absolutely nothing to do with Carmax ever. Again. If I could give them a negative rating I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

By the way I hate the car and have since I've got it back from service. It's horrible, has rust, transmission problems, engine noise, vibrations. Only positive thing is that it looks good from 10 feet. I tried to get them to let me find another vehicle and they wanted at least 60% of the price of new vehicle down which is not happening. I want out of this vehicle and never to do business with them again.

I got a car from Carmax and three weeks later, the transmission went out. They said it was covered under the manufacturer but I explained I did not want that car because it might have other issues. I wanted another car. I found the same car in another color for the same amount and they asked the bank. I was told the bank now wants me to bring in another $500 after I had already been approved previously due to new things on my credit. I explained that of course I had new credit issues because I had been looking for a car and just got finance. How can they take back the first approval and charge me more money down now?! Carmax did not even offer to eat the $500.

I feel like they should accommodate since this was not my fault. They sold me a faulty car. They are backing me into a corner and forcing me to take a car with the hopes that nothing else goes wrong. I've been pushed to tears from the stress of this purchase! My great experience has now turned into a nightmare. The managers had attitude and were not sympathetic at all. THE WORST!!! Go somewhere else if you can.

Where do I even begin. In October my wife and I bought a 2013 Chevy Traverse with what the sticker said was four wheel drive. We signed on a Wednesday and that following Sunday while taking a mouse nest out of the engine noticed that the truck was not four wheel drive nor all wheel drive but in fact front wheel drive. This went against the sticker on the window and what the paperwork said. I contacted our sales person who said she would make it right. For the next week we searched for a Traverse with about the same miles and in that same price range $20,998. She sent me a few that she found but all were more money or over 5,000 more miles or even one with marks all over it.

I finally found one for $1,000 more but was told that they would not cover the extra money and I had to pay for it. I spoke to a manager who said she would give me back $200 I had paid and drop the price $300 and then I would cover the remaining $500. I agreed to this and was told the Traverse would ship within the next 14 days and get to the dealer by Nov 18th. Finally on the 22nd of November I got a call saying it was there so we went in to look at it. At this time we saw marks all over the paint and spoke to a manager who said he would have them detail the hood. We asked the saleswomen to also have them do the rest of the truck and we're told they would write it up for the whole truck. I was told that it would go to the shop in Kenosha that next day. Then the next day I was told that it wouldn't go until Friday because of Thanksgiving.

I spoke to the salesperson on Friday and was told it must have went down there and I will let you know when it gets back. The following Monday I texted the sales women Melissa and asked since my wife and I had off if the truck would be back. She said she would call me in a few and check. Three hours later she called and said great news the truck is back and looks great. My wife and I went in that night to look and the only thing they did was fix the hood. I asked why and was told by the manager that he did not know about the rest of the truck which was not right. He said he would have it fixed. I told him that this is fraud selling a car that is not what they say and he tried to tell me otherwise and now this happened. Then he said that they made a mistake down in Kenosha then goes on to say that it was done there in Milwaukee (which is it).

"Here is what happened," I said. The was never sent to be worked on and until I called on Monday it sat there for a week with nothing done to it then when I called they rushed to get it done that day. So after looking at it and yet again the issue was still there we're able to look at it on Wednesday the 30th. It looked so much better so we signed and took it home. On Friday the 2nd of December a loud noise came when turning the wheel so we took it in and on Monday the 5th they said they found no issue. I have emailed the GM at the location as well as left a message for the regional manager and NEITHER have cared enough to reply. If this is how they do it there then I will tell everyone and anyone where not to buy a car.

Needing to downsize from my F-150 Super Crew, I decided to use CarMax, as they had been very good to my friend when she bought her car. I found the car I wanted online, and scheduled a test drive. I liked the car, and the salesman was very straightforward with me. Being from Canada, I was a little concerned they wouldn't want my Canadian trade-in, but was assured it wouldn't be an issue. After all, I imported my truck through CBP, was granted DOT approval to import, and was allowed to register my truck in Utah (which meant it was properly imported).

I returned the next day with my truck for an appraisal. After completing all the necessary paperwork to purchase my new (used) car, the appraiser came back and said there was an issue with my truck. He said it couldn't be used as a trade-in, as it wasn't properly imported. I was taken aback and quite angry. In my immigration paperwork, it was quite clear... you MUST obtain DOT approval, show your vehicle is compliant with US EPA standards (which I did), and clear CBP. If you do not follow these steps, you will not be able to insure or license your vehicle in the US.

They said they couldn't buy my vehicle, but couldn't explain to me how to ensure it was properly imported. Right there, I walked out. If you're telling me that it's not imported correctly, then tell me how you know that so I can correct it. It turns out, the Carfax indicated I had structural damage (I wasn't aware of), which was pointed out to me at another dealership (who had NO issues accepting my vehicle as a trade-in).

Because of the dishonesty the appraiser showed me at Carmax, I will never shop there, and will recommend to everyone to avoid them. If they had just been forthcoming with me, I probably still would have bought the car I was looking at, and would have probably accepted their low-ball offer on my trade-in. Seriously, honesty goes a very, VERY, long way. The only one I had any respect for was the salesman.

I bought a car in 2015 from the Carmax on Atlantic Blvd. I also paid for the "mycare" from them, I totaled my car in Nov 2016. I have been trying to contact them about the payoff and refunds for the "Mycare" that they offer and no one knows anything!!!! They send you through 15 different people to be told different things from each. They don't care about you trying to figure everything out after you have given them their money. I was also informed about three weeks ago my check would be put in the mail and I would receive it within 5 days. Now today, I called again because I have yet to receive my check, the lady informs me it was only mailed on the 25th of November. I WILL NEVER spend a penny at a Carmax again!!!!

GAP Insurance product of Carmax is a total rip off!!! It is marketed as supplemental insurance to cover the difference between pay off your auto insurance pays in the case of a total lost. Carmax uses the company Safe Guard to handle the GAP insurance. The agent there accused me of late payment which was ridiculous since I have automatic bank draft, then he told me they used my Max Care balance to pay off the loan. That's what I bought GAP for! Don't buy from Carmax!

I made an appointment to see a specific used car. When I got there, the salesman had not even bothered to make sure the car would start. The battery was dead. He tried to get me to test drive a newer model that was several thousand dollars more. Will never go there again.

The reason for this review is for our sales person Brittany ** of the Carmax located in Fairfield, CA. She went over and beyond. There was a slight complication with the car we bought. Everything was taken care of to my ultimate satisfaction. I ended up with the same car but a yr newer with less miles. Brittany had to relate between us and management and made it all fall into place beautifully. Lastly I'd like to add I shopped for about 6 mos for a used car. I walked into Carmax not expecting anything special but it in fact was quite special. The process is so easy. I don't know why anybody would shop for a used vehicle anywhere else. Once you find your car it literally takes 5 mins and YOU get to pick the bank and rate you want. I'll never go anywhere else for a used car unless it's a Carmax. Thank you.

This all started in may 2014. I was in need of a new car as someone hit me and totaled my beloved 2008 Pontiac Vibe awd. After checking out my regular dealerships and realizing with two cars still under my name that no one would finance me as the insurance company didn't pay off the wrecked car yet I ended up at Carmax with approved credit. Should have been the first red flag. Why would anyone allow someone to have 1200 in car loans a month on a average income. I ended up buying a 2012 Nissan Sentra SR Special edition. I was in and out with the car in less than a hour. I did test drive it but it was raining. The Carfax was clear. That weekend I noticed a 2' crack in the windshield and strange noises coming from the suspension, brakes, and AC. I was at a out of town family wedding but the next week I took it in. When I took it in they wrote off ask the sounds as the abs check.

I had to argue with them to finally check a appointment with Safelite for the window. The day of my appointment they tried saying it was just a scratch even though I could put my credit card in it and it get stuck. I again argued with the management and finally they rescheduled and repaired. Within the 30 days I was back 2 other times with the strange noises - wagon noises, loud transmission and AC, and squeaky brakes. Both times they said the car was fine, but would extend the 30 day warranty 6 months. I soon decided to get the car certified at Nissan. They found bad barely passing breaks, bad suspension, and said the transmission was fine. I asked them to repair the suspension and brakes under the warranty to find out the car was out of warranty 3 days after I bought it. Carmax at told me I was good until 36000 miles, the car only had 24,000.

Found out that the car was sold in summer of 2011 and hit the 3 year mark voiding all warranties but the power train. Makes sense that Nissan would say the transmission was ok until in completely went. Since I was still in the 6 month extension I till the findings back to Carmax. They said they would not fix the issues so I filled a complaint with the BBB on which Carmax denied my claims. Funny thing is the BBB is on the same street as Carmax corporate and Carmax is owned by Circuit City. The same company that shut all their stores down and was known for shady open box fees. I ended up paying 2000 to get the brakes and suspension fixed. The AC still rattles and the transmission sometimes stalls on hills and sounds like a dying animal. Most recently I looked under the car to find the whole exhaust system rusting and needing replaced at the tune of 1000 dollars.

Also a few months ago I replaced my cabin filter and engine filter. Both were black. The cabin filter required removal of interior panels that had price gun stickers from a junk yard. I also found price gun stickers on the wheels and the exterior mirrors. There is silver over spray on the rear side windows molding and the rear bumper paint doesn't match. The car came from new York, was sent to auction and sent to Carmax Lancaster. I went to Lancaster acting like I was buying a car and selected cars I saw on the site that were not on the lot, knew they were on the back lot. Got the salesman to take me back to where they fix the cars up.

They were literally in pieces. Lancaster is a regional distribution center for Carmax and the Mechanicsburg, PA store where I bought my car. When I asked Carmax for my service records from my first 30 days they started they didn't have them and that they didn't keep them because they were not a "certified repair center." I picked Carmax because of their worry free slogans and selection. Unfortunately they are selling cars that barely passed inspection, warranty is only 30 days, and are doing some very shady things. Customer service is very poor. I recommend avoiding this company at all costs.

I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX from Carmax with an extended warranty. The service rear axle light came on. I took the car in to Cadillac. Carmax even sent an inspector out to see the car. From the very start they tried every hoop and trick they could to avoid having to stand behind the warranty they sell. This company is corrupt. I'd never do business with them again. What's the point of buying an extended warranty if the company won't stand behind it. They should be fined and put out of business. I've had many extended warranties. No company ever failed to honor its extended warranty before. Lesson learned. Stay away from Carmax crew.

Bought a car from CarMax in 2013. The sales part was great. The Guy was very honest. He seemed to be truthful. Well after I got It home I found out It had been In a wreck. They did not tell me about this. They further stated they knew nothing of this accident. To make a long story short I was told "too bad Its past the 30 days". It cost me almost 2000.00 to fix all the problems with the front end (where it was hit). The Operation Manager truly did not care nor did he want to do anything. He in fact just walked away and left me standing in the parking lot. I will not use CarMax again ever.

Carmax Company Profile