3.6/5 (552 ratings)

About CarMax

CarMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I found a vehicle on their website and drove down to their store in Urbandale (Des Moines) to check it out. Found it just as described, other than a small defect that the SALESMAN pointed out to me. Said they would take care of it, no problem. Drove it, loved it, bought it and drove it home, full tank of gas included! Got a call a week later to set up the appointment to fix the issue (a tack weld on the fuel filler door hinge was broken loose). If you love to haggle, this isn't the place for you. If, however, you just want to know you're getting a fair price and that you will be dealt with as a fellow human and not just "a sale", then this is a GREAT place to purchase a vehicle.

Original review: July 21, 2022

First, a big shout out to Wayne, at the Edison New Jersey CarMax! I bought out my 3-year lease, 2019 Kia Optima Turbo. 5,000 MI and in excellent condition. Got a lot of offers from other places, but some of them were ridiculously lowball, KBB & Edmonds use dealerships and I despise sleazy dealerships!! I did initial research a month before actually selling it. The best offers were from Carvana and CarMax.

When it finally came down to actually selling it, Carvana dropped their offer by more than $2,300. Disappointing because they actually come and pick up the car. CarMax's offer remain constant over A month's time. They offered me $25,000 online and after a 90-minute drive from Flushing Queens to Edison New Jersey at Rush Hour LOL, actually paid me $25,000! I was in and out of there in 90 minutes. And the cashier's check can be deposited regardless of where you bank. Their checks are good LOL! A Very professional, efficient and fair company. Refreshing to say the least. Highly recommended if you're selling your car!!

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I leased a new car, so I had to sell my old Subaru Forester 2019. Checked on the internet, submitted car info to three well-known companies, got quotes from them. CarMax offered more so I decided to go there to see if they really good. Located in Edison NJ, just one hour drive from home. They are open from 11 am, by 11:10 I was already talking to the very nice, friendly and competent lady Nicky **. She checked the paperwork, car, took all photos, filled out many forms on a little slow computer system and confirmed the price quote (all thankfully was in order, all documents presented).

We signed more papers, she took car keys, removed and returned to me plates and by 12:05 pm I had all my copies and bank check and was ready to go! Not my first car, but never before I seen such efficiency and friendliness from any sales person. Their facility was looking brand new, airy and spotless. And with the sales persons like Nicky clients and management must be very happy. Place and company to go! 5 stars.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had been looking at replacing my 2003 Honda Toaster (Element) with a newer AWD vehicle. I really liked the Nissan Juke. The problem was there were only 3 here in Spokane, WA. All of them needed to have work done on them before they could be drove for a test drive. Also none of them were the high end SL model. I found a one owner with 94K miles at CarMax in Oregon. I paid $99 to have it shipped to the Spokane CarMax. It took less than a week to get here and be ready for a test drive. I bought it and later I kept hearing a popping noise when I would start out and turn right. I called CarMax service, took it in and they replace the front struts. At no charge to me. It was covered under the 90 day warranty.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I want to say that Carmax was a awesome experience!! I tried buying a car from Carvana starting January and heard lots of delays and excuses and event had the car registered and received a title for the car but never got the car!! Carmax was awesome. Mike in Sales was very helpful and patient. He answered all my questions and when I finally ordered the car it was transported from where it was and arrived 2 weeks early. I went to pick it up today and was floored on how helpful the sales staff was!! The car was way better than expected and I was soo Happy! They are great to do business with. I would recommend them for anyone looking for a car!! Thanks Carmax for the best experiance ever buying a car!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

The Hulu ad makes zero sense. And it is super annoying. I now hate a song that I once loved and you turned me off from ever considering CarMax. If you got gold everywhere why even use CarMax. Plus we both know that after financing and such the renter takes a hit making you the only one that would deal with them. And it's not going to be a full refund. You're taking mileage and such out of the original price. So again they stuck with you. It's such a shame and that song is a dead giveaway along with that stupid ad.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I bought my car 3 months ago. The brakes are squealing BAD. There is also a light out in the back. I paid $3000 extra so I have MaxCare deal on my car for three years. They won't cover fixing the issues.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

CarMax refuses to refund my $250 Reserve vehicle payment. First part of August 2022, I paid a $250 prepayment fee to reserve a car and have it transferred from Wichita to Memphis for purchase. The Rep repeatedly stated that my $250 deposit would 'Reserve' and transport the vehicle. I was emailed an online link and I completed paperwork, including all my contact info, home landline phone, cellphone, email, etc. Via email, I was provided confirmation of my successful completion which stated vehicle would be ready for my inspection by Sept. 1. I received multiple emails referencing delivery, financing, trade-in, etc. However, I never received any communication via email, voicemail, caller ID'd phone calls, or ID'd texts stating vehicle had arrived and available for pickup.

During the final week of Aug., I repeatedly phoned Carmax and was told multiple stories, including, vehicle was still in transit, it had been sold, it had arrived and was being prepped, etc. Finally on Aug 31 it was determined vehicle had already been sold to another buyer. I called the local Memphis Carmax office (area 901) and was told I was speaking to rep in Memphis. I later discovered all phone numbers go to a national switchboard and you could be talking to be anyone in the world. Through my multiple calls during the month, I discovered you cannot reach anyone in the local office. I repeatedly requested local contact information, valid local phone numbers, manager names, anything... But representatives would never provide any of this information. Via phone, there is no way to speak with anyone at the local branch.

I left countless messages to have someone call me back through the course of the month, never received a single call back. No one ever made any effort to resolve my issues with my reserved vehicle, explain why my reserved vehicle was sold before the tentative arrival date or to offer a refund of my credit card charge. I work in a sound restricted TV studio that must remain quiet. I get 50 spam and robo calls a day. Phone must remain on silent and I cannot answer immediately. I cannot return calls unless caller leaves voicemail and/or message or at least is identified thru caller ID.

Over the course of the month, no voicemails were ever left by CarMax on my cellphone or home landline phone. No messages were ever left on home phone which I check thoroughly, or on cellphone voicemail. All calls and texts made from CarMax are made from an unidentified caller or identified as spam. With the vast quantity of unidentified spam and robocalls and text I receive I cannot possibly spend hours returning and I did invite calls messages texts, automated recordings Etc.

I have an 800+ credit score and have done business with CarMax multiple times over the last 30 years. I refuse to be cheated, ignored, and treated like an annoyance. Carmax's new business model has ruined all purpose and advantage of doing any business with them. Their deception, misinformation, and run-arounds are obviously intentional and they have done nothing but given me untruths and made no effort to contact me to discuss or refund my charges.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

The Tulsa location is the worst business I have ever associated with. They are all shady. They sold my husband and I a SUV and then a week later said the bank denied our loan, called the bank and they never denied our loan. CarMax Tulsa called us liars and said we don't know what we are talking about. If you live in the Tulsa, OK area, I would consider taking your business elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

08/26/22: Paid $199 to have a 2014 Porsche Cayman S (WP0AB2A89EK190214) transferred from Kansas City, Kansas, to Birmingham, Alabama. Listing did not mention or picture any significant damage to the front end--although I did locate an additional damage record using CarFax that CarMax's history documents did not mention. Waited over a week for the car to arrive then drove two hours to Birmingham to see/purchase the vehicle. When I arrived I instantly noticed front end damage and nearly peeling paint on the front bumper in addition to a smashed fog light/grille. Once again, CarMax's post-delivery "quality check" made no mention of this nor the salesperson I spoke with numerous times before traveling to pick the car up.

I asked if I could take it to a shop for repair and they said it would have to be repaired "in house." No thank you. And makes me wonder how many repairs are done like that to their cars that don't get reported to CarFax or Autocheck... I don't know if this sort of thing is indicative of CarMax as a whole, but I can tell you my experience was awful and I cannot recommend dealing with this company. They did refund the transfer fee--which I appreciated--but I should have been made aware of this issue prior to traveling over to see the car. Especially for a $50,000 vehicle I was purchasing. Completely unprofessional and a complete shame that this happened. Going to try another retailer moving forward.

08/27/22 Update: Salesperson, Steven Puckett, called to discuss the matter. He said he didn't answer me last night while I was dealing with the issue with another salesperson because he "maintains a work life balance" and was "not going to lie, went out" drinking. He said the proper procedure is to take a test drive and then have them repair any minor issues or damage observed. I'm sorry, but repainting an entire bumper and replacing a smashed light/grille is not minor. Especially if it affects the value of the car, which this does. Do NOT go to CarMax. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by a business before.

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

CarMax Company Information