2. Automotive

Carmax

Carmax
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: June 11, 2020

I bought a car From Carmax and the experience was very good. Plenty of on-site selections and the details on the website are very thorough. Even when there is no car on site, the website gives you enough details to be worth ordering. The only problem I had with ordering it to be delivered to the onsite, was it didn't have every item on the list, especially cruise control. But the price was right, and I bought it. One other item I was concerned about was my trade-in. They charge too much for the inspection and that detracts from what they gave me for my truck. Their financing is very good. Overall, I was well pleased.

Original review: June 9, 2020

We have purchased our 2010 Chevrolet Traverse at Pleasanton,Ca. We chose the bumper to bumper warranty and it has been a blessing. The Repair Pal has been great when you can't get a service appointment at the dealer. We have had over $6000.00 worth of repairs due to age of the vehicle. Steering rack, transmission pump, replaced flex plates, air pressure sensors, and all but one transmission sensor. And I have 2 more years left on the warranty. My neighbor bought her van there after us and bought the same warranty and she had mechanical issues. She settled with a newer van, less mileage, and smaller car payment. My son then bought his Jeep Wrangler there and his wife got her Dodge Charger there. Everyone has been pleased with Carmax service, though you need to be firm with your needs for loaners during repairs.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2020

We traded in a 2020 Toyota Corolla which we were not happy with at all because of physical disabilities we did not expect when we purchased it. The Toyota’s seats were very uncomfortable, no power seats, could not see out the front of the car well and the interior dash left much to be desired. We bought the Toyota in too much of a hurry. We lost money on it with a trade in at Carmax. It was only two months old. We got a beautiful 2014 Mazda Grand Touring with power seats, comfortable seats clear easy to see dash, good vision out the front. Wish the trade in had been better on the Toyota.

Original review: June 4, 2020

There are not enough business locations in small to mid-sized cities. Like auto dealerships, the sales staff can be somewhat pushy. The sales staff will gloss over some questions and will try to minimize any defects or shortcomings in particular vehicles of interest. Pricing options are typically good and better than most competitors. I looked and was ready to buy, but ended up purchasing a used vehicle from a local dealership where I was able to verify any defects from the previous owner. Due to the 100 mile distance to the Carmax location, I was skeptical of the reliability of the quality of the vehicle offered.

Original review: May 24, 2020

From the no pressure sales at the store in Portland Maine, to the unbelievable kindness and patience I was treated with at the service desk in Irvine California, this company has been repeatedly good to me! Not only did they work with me when they technically could have told me to go suck rocks, they were also kind about it! Everyone I have ever spoken to at the company has been polite, respectful and kind, including the person I spoke to when I was sick with a fever for two weeks and needed to put my bill off for a month! It was much appreciated on my end as these seem to be qualities that are diminished to non existent. We all put a good face on social media for quarantine but the truth is, out in public, most people are scared and reactive! They're downright mean! So nice to see smiling eyes above a mask or hear a cheery voice on the phone! Thanks Carmax!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

CarMax sucks so bad. I was excited about getting my first car and picked out a really good deal on a car I really wanted only to be let down to them saying the car I had reserved a week ago is no longer available which I have been calling all week to get all the paperwork done and ready so that they could do a home delivery. I keep getting different people telling me everything thing was all set then someone else tell me that it wasn't. I called yesterday to have them set a appointment for next day only to find out that it was deleted and not set at all. You have a better chance with another dealership than this company. Never again will I go to them.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

My online experience started out great. Got approved for a cute little car. Took a week to get it but it was 2 days before Christmas so, OK. Then I set up home delivery then it fell apart. Several phone calls, clerical errors, ID checks, 3 missed appointments and still no car. Taking the loss on the $99 delivery fee and going somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I bought a car at CarMax in Lexington KY. I provided a PO to get the title since I am a TN resident. After several weeks the title did not come. I called the business office. I was informed that since their regular mail service—Federal Express— does not deliver to PO Boxes the title to my car was just dropped in the regular mail with no tracking. The title is now lost in the mail. I cannot register for a car tag. My insurance said if I damage the car or it is stolen they will not pay for it because technically the car belongs to CarMax. I called the Lexington KY CarMax business office. The woman from Purchasing was so rude to me. She said I asked for the title to be sent to my PO Box and that is exactly what they did.

She stated that CarMax was not responsible for the lost title nor did CarMax really care about the title. Now a new title must be obtained. It is going to take a long time. If CarMax had told me there was no tracking on mail to PO Boxes I would have had the title sent to my street address. No one told me —and now the title is in limbo and I am not sure if CarMax will ever send it so I can get the title transferred and register the car. I live 10 hours from where I need to do the registration. I took vacation to get this done. The woman in Purchasing stated this was not her problem and I could figure all this out myself because CarMax is not responsible for the title lost in the mail with no tracking. I find it totally irresponsible that a document as important as a car title was not sent in the mail with tracking.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Bought a jeep grand Cherokee with a diesel motor at the end of May 2020. I drove it for 31 day, it broke down, lost all power, dangerous. When the high pressure fuel pump went out. I all most begged them to please fix it the recommended way. They did not. Fixed only 25% of what was recommended by Chrysler. It came back, guess who now has to pay a 10,000 bill. Fix ** blame you when it comes back. Same problem, what a joke. + in total they have had my car 4 out of 6 months of ownership. Don't buy!!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I bought a 2017 Dodge Journey from the Carmax store in Wyoming Michigan. I could not see with the headlights so I bought new ones after they refused to replace them. I went in twice to get them re-aligned. I wanted them replaced the first time I came in there. All they did was "try" to align them but nothing changed. My husband and son both witnessed the lights not moving. Had to loosen up the bolts to re-align them (service tech said I had to do that in order to re-align them). Now they won't reimburse me the money I spent while I still have the 90 day warranty. I will not go there again. Buyer beware.

CarMax author review by Tom Rains

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carmax Company Information