Carmax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought an extended warranty with Carmax. When they try to sell you this Maxcare thing they say is the best thing ever. What they don't say is that is a really pain in the back every time you need to take your car to the shop at Carmax, and that you'll pay no matter what because they charge you for diagnostic, if it's something under the warranty you pay the deductible, if not you'll pay for diagnostic. That really sucks! 'Cause if you're not a mechanic, you gonna buy this warranty thinking that you gonna be cover if something happens, but every time that you need to take your car to the dealership they will break your pocket maybe for a simple thing that they fix in 10 minutes but charge you for an hour, around 60 bucks. Last time I took my car with 3 complaints 1 was under warranty and the others 2 was not, so they charged me 120 for diagnostic and 150 on deductible. I will NEVER gonna make business at Carmax.

I went to Carmax and they told me when I sold them my truck I would receive the payment within 2 or 3 days. So 5 days later I still did not receive my payment so I called them up and they said it will take up to 2 weeks to get my payment. I will never go back to Carmax again.

Making it simple for everyone. WBYCEIYDBO! I took a trade in because I was considering buying a vehicle. After the trade in process and the low-ball price I asked them to pull up prices of the same car I was trading it. Make it short they offered me $2,300 on the same car they were selling for $9,600. Take it into your own use for Carmax to be a non-negotiable price as listed. You can find the same car Elsewhere for much less with the same lemon law application of return. Do your homework people. CarMax is not a great company to buy from. All cars last 3 days for breaking down.

CarMax is the worst people to deal with. My deceased mother in law had purchased a jeep SUV sport from CarMax and after three weeks of owning it she had passed. So we called CarMax to figure out what to do with the jeep. So we talk to different people at CarMax from customer service to managers to even the financing dept regarding transferring the loan to a family member so that the vehicle can still be in the family. But all CarMax did is give us a runaround. They keep telling us that it should be a problem and that we will need to talk customer service. Then customer service would say the same thing and tell us to talk to financing dept.

Once speaking with them they did the same thing and told us to talk to someone else. That went on for a month. After all the back and forth CarMax didn't even have any kind of sympathy since my mother passed 3 weeks after purchasing the vehicle and given that she put a 5k down payment. They did not care about our situation. After they gave us runaround for about a month they refused to work with us and told us that they will not transfer the loan to any qualified relative. I would not recommend anybody to buy a car from this shady dealer.

Purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer. Was shown a report showing no accidents. This car also has no exhaust issues of exhaust leaking into the cabin. I had to emergently get rid of the car after 10 months because my family and me were being poisoned by carbon monoxide. We hardly received anything for the car because of the two accidents that were not disclosed and for the exhaust issues. Shame on you Carmax!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Although my sales lady Kenya was awesome and very professional the appraisal for my trade-in was 1500.00. I wanted 3,000. Guy at desk told me dealer fee 200.00 but it's 299.00. I was ready to do the deal but they gave me low ball appraisal so I went across the street to Southeast Car Agency and they gave me 2500.00 right off the bat for my trade in and I bought a car for cash and made Jarrod's day. You blew it Carmax. Will never go back there. That was a ridiculous offer.

Purchasing a car from Carmax was the worst experience of my life. My daughter bought a 2008 Scion TC from Carmax in 2013. I had to co-sign the car for my daughter, due to the fact that she had 1 credit reference, pretty much what they called a ghost file. They told her that the best thing she could do is buy a car from them. Establish credit as long as I co-signed the loan, and in 12 months of timely payments, she could trade it in and buy a car in her own name, and wouldn't need a co-signer. Also she would get a better interest rate because starting out she had to pay 16% due to the fact that she didn't any credit to speak of. My credit was fair, so they charged us 16%. That's not even the issue.

My daughter went back 2 years later after 24 months of one-time payments, to trade her car for a newer one, and they turned her down without a co-signer, LIE #1. I told my daughter to just hang on to it and pay it for a while longer. She agreed, and continued to make on time payments for 42 months. Then she went in to trade her car in, and they wouldn't approve her credit, once again without a co-signer. Being very upset with them. Oh the reason they wouldn't approve her is that they changed their credit policy. Seems like 1 auto account and 1 credit card (in good standing) was not enough credit to, once again, get the loan just in her name. LIE #2. From there we went in search of another vehicle at Hertz car sales in Orlando Florida. She found an SUV Jeep that she liked, and tried to make a trade with them.

They ran a Carfax on the Scion based on the VIN number, and it came back as the car being in an accident before Carmax sold us the car. Carmax said they had no knowledge of that accident. It was clearly stated on the Carfax pulled by Hertz. LIE #3. The book on the car was approximately $5700, but Hertz was only willing to give us $2,000 due to the fact that it was previously in an accident. It was embarrassing because they thought we were trying to pull the wool over their eyes. We had no such knowledge of this accident or we would not have purchased the car initially. My daughter was afraid to drive the car at this point, due to the fact she had a new baby and didn't want to drive the car because she didn't know the extent of the damage and didn't feel safe.

So we went to another dealer, did not trade the damaged Scion, due to the decrease in value. She was able to purchase a jeep there at a good price, in her own name and at a good interest rate, due to her great payment history with 42 months of on time payments through Carmax Financial. We then told Carmax we were turning in the car to them and any negative equity, about $2,800, we would pay it back to them over time. They said no way and demanded us to pay the money upfront for the deficiency. They would not work with us, so I told them to come pick up the car, where it would be and we turned the car over to them with the keys. About a few weeks later, I get a letter saying that they repossessed the car and was selling it at the auction and we would have to pay the deficiency in a lump sum.

I was not able to pay the lump sum, tried once again to work out payment arrangements, and they told me no way, and they were reporting to the credit bureaus that we had the car repossessed, after she made 42 on time payments. They turned it over to collections and keep adding interest and late fees, and now they say we owe them not $2,800, but over $5,000. My daughter and I refused to pay them that ridiculous amount of money. They totally took advantage of my daughter and myself, as co-maker, and set out to destroy both of our credit ratings after 42 on time payments. She was going to school, working, and keeping her payments up. I called an attorney and he told me that I had no recourse, because in the state of Florida when you buy a used car, you buy it as is, and the dealership is not responsible for any issues.

I am a retired Vietnam Veteran, and she and I should not be treated this way, or anyone else for that matter. What a one sided situation we found ourselves in with no recourse. I would think that a company as big as Carmax, and the financial where with all that they have, they would have been more understanding of our situation with the car they sold us, and would do whatever was reasonable to fix the situation and keep us as a customer. But we were wrong. All they wanted to do was to send us down the road and try to destroy our credit. I guess that's why when I googled them up, they had over 500 complaints of poor business practices. This should not happen to anyone in this country. One LIE after another, just to make the almighty $$$.

I worked with the internet person and was made an appt. The car was to be put on hold. I even got a call from them the day before to confirm. When I got there, I had to wait 15 minutes and then was told the car was transported someplace else and was no longer there. I will not deal with CARMAX in Bloomington ever. Very poor customer appreciation and lack of respect for me and my time. Bummer!

Fraud. I bought a vehicle with undisclosed accident frame damage. Would not repair issues, hid extensive damage. Did not follow their policy of 125 point safety checks. Made repairs with all used parts from U-Pull-It.

I'll try to make the story of short as possible. My wife found a Audi alltrack. We called in to verify that it was available, we asked some questions, we locked in the vehicle, we gave them the credit card number, we asked if there was no errors we were sure there were none. Will a short several times if they do have an error they stand by it no matter what went out to eat came back received a text message which I will paste on the bottom here. Will service you then voicemail which I have saved on my voicemail and I have all the screenshots of the car we locked in and how they screwed us.

Spoke with corporate bunch of times they do not care. Spoke with the general manager was trying to lie to me spoke with another sales manager or general manager who said that I was confused. Was my first only and last attempt to ever deal with this company. I promised them that I would leave negative publicity anywhere and everywhere go whenever I have time and this is one of many that I will wherever I run into reviews. I'm just awful lying company.

CarMax cost me extra money with their extended warranty. They did not let me know when my car was repaired and then charge me extra for the rental car that should have been covered under the warranty. They gave me a number to submit a complaint and laughed when I said I would. After I filed the complaint they came back and sided with CarMax in Indianapolis Indiana. They stated they called my phone one time and that they had did their due diligence. I will never purchase a car at Carmax again. I hate that I have a warranty with them because I no longer want to deal with them on any level. Please stay clear of this fraudulent company.

CarMax does not do a good job educating it customers, esp those with bad credit how the third party they use will screw them over. Please make sure you are not rushed when signing your loans, make sure the third party explains how much the car cost and how interest you will be paying on the car. I am paying 3x what the car is worth, all because I was desperate to get a car so I can get to work, and my credit wasn't even that horrible.

This company and all of its affiliates are deceitful, lying, lazy peons. Don't go to any Carmax, especially the one in Lithia Springs, Georgia. They don't do anything to help you and they waste your time and put hard inquiries on your credit. STAY AWAY!!! If I could I would rate them 0 stars.

I recently purchased a car from Carmax. I was told everything was great with the car. A few days after my drivers side front tire popped causing me to almost get in an accident. AAA came out to put my spare on. The spare was the wrong size. I called Carmax and was told to wait but one assisted me. So I had my car towed to my house. I contacted Carmax again and they came out with a replacement spare which again didn't fit. I had to have AAA come back to my house and explain to the Carmax rep the size for the spare. They then returned with the correct size spare. I then drove to Carmax and was told that the there is nothing wrong with the tire. I explained it popped. They didn't believe me. I insisted the tire was unsafe and popped.

Plus was dissatisfied with them for the inconvenience of having to spend the day trying to get the correct size spare. They said well the tires are not covered under my extended service plan. I was upset and asked if I could return the car but it was past the return date. They got very defensive and angry with me. They told me to leave or they would call the police. I said no I'm staying to have this resolved. They then got right in my face and I felt threatened by them. I left as they were dialing the police. I brought the tire that popped to NTB and had a certified tire expert confirm the tire popped due to a bubble and was very unsafe and never should have put on the car. I had the tire expert talk to Carmax headquarters. Headquarters refused to acknowledge this issue. The NTB rep said he just serviced a vehicle purchased from Carmax with the same tire issue.

After exposing this I received a fedex letter informing me that I am banned from any Carmax property and if I was seen on their property I would immediately be removed by the police. The letter also said if I verbally communicate with any Carmax employees they would file legal action. Obviously I touched a nerve. Beware of the tires and make sure they are safe if you decide to purchase a Carmax vehicle. This is a safety issue and I would hate to see anyone hurt.

I bought my 2010 Malibu about 2.5 years ago with 44,000 miles on it with the extended warranty. My car decided to stop driving. Had it looked at for $115 to be told that my trans needs to be replaced. Now my car is at 84000 miles... oh and I am out of warranty so it will cost me $5062 out of my own pocket!!! I will NEVER do business with Carmax again!!!

Not the best experience here. Started out great, the wife and I were pre-approved. Then we submitted our information and then we were really approved. They were not able to accept my wife's income as they stated that she would need to be employed for a minimum of 6 months, even though she was full time with them for over 2 years and went down to part time voluntarily so she could move on to another job. She had just gotten off of maternity leave and went back to work at her previous employer as part time, but had just started another part time job in the career she wanted to pursue. We thought that was strange, but regardless we were still approved with just my income. We found a car and it was below our approval limit. We test drove the vehicle and liked it, so we came back the next day to finish the process as our rep was not in and my wife was at work.

We finished all the paperwork, paid the down payment and drove home that next day. I had the vehicle inspected at a couple local shops and the Buick dealership. A couple items were found and I called the service department and the soonest they could get me in was a week later. It didn't sit right with me as the return policy is 5 days. The next morning, the check engine light came on. I had Buick run the codes and they came back with multiple cylinders failing and the catalyst possible fail. I immediately called CarMax and the service was closed on weekends. I spoke with the manager named Raz in sales and he made an exception to give me a loaner vehicle and stop my 5 day return policy until my vehicle was back on the road. I received a call on Wednesday to come get my vehicle and that Buick replaced the catalytic converter. Awesome, my car was ready and driving well again, or so I thought.

The next day (Thursday), I received a call from Nate the service manager and he called to ask how the vehicle was running and to see if everything was fine. I let him know everything was perfect. The day after that (Friday), I received another call from Rob, a manager in sales. He stated the bank did not want to fund me anymore and I would need to return the vehicle. I asked what the reasoning was and he said he did not know that's just what the bank came back to them with. I then asked if I could call the bank and see why as they verified my employment. He agreed and I started calling American Credit Acceptance. I was passed on to eventually being told I needed to speak with the dealership to see what the reasoning was. I then called the dealership and spoke to Erika in the business department who knew nothing and directed me to an 800 number.

I spoke with Rob again and let him know I would need my down payment back as I paid cash and he replied with they would mail me a check and he could possibly have it overnighted. That was not an option as now I needed to start looking for another vehicle and he was then able to get an approval for me to drop the vehicle off and pick up my $2000 cash down payment. Once I dropped by, I was greeted with Erika in the business side and she had a stack of papers for me to sign on for ADOT and had my cash ready as long as the vehicle was in the same shape it was when I received it. After signing the documents, she counted out the cash and said "thank you". That's it. No explanation on what had happened, no sorry, not even a workaround to get me into a cheaper vehicle. Now I know in sales you do everything in your power to get the sale. It just seemed like it was chopped liver.

I found it odd there was no vehicle they could get me in or even try to get me in. My credit is not the best (dumb teenager mistakes I am now paying for), but my income is above great and the only reason for buying a car with a high APR is to get the credit on my reports for good paying. I walked out, called a different dealership and was in a newer, less mileage, lower APR and overall nicer vehicle within 24 hours. When asked if I would get a call in 2 weeks asking for the vehicle back, the rep laughed and said "NO, when we say you are approved, it is because the bank says so". Blessing in disguise I guess. Just a heads up on having your vehicle inspected and drive a couple hundred miles or so because the codes usually come back when it's too late.

Was not informed of the car having had an accident from previous owner. I have had the car for over two years and got denied on a refinance due to value being lower than normal cause of the accident. I am highly upset. They need to learn how to do better business. This has been a huge inconvenience to me.

I purchased a jeep from them recently, I made an issue about making sure the soft top was working properly, unfortunately I did not get a chance at the dealer but was told to try it over the weekend and get back to them if any issues. After finally getting a chance to take the top off I was unable to, the zipper on the back window was stuck and out of line. I brought it back and after several employees tried to unzip it, and was not successful an employee was able to. I have own previous soft top jeeps and this was very difficult to unzip. After expressing my concern and I wanted another back window they said NO because it was working properly. It's not working properly, after all the employees that did try to remove the zipper they ripped it where the zipper attached to the window. One manager even admitted it. I made a complaint to corporate and Carmax employees all denied the incident as well as never said that they ripped it.

I co-signed an auto loan with my deceased stepdaughter. I have told them that she is dead and yet they keep calling and asking to speak to her. I live in New Jersey and signed papers there which under the state of Florida law makes the co-signing an illegal transaction because all loans in Florida need to be signed there. They keep losing my personal information and calling me up to verify it. They get payments and have no record of ever getting them. I have asked them to go to the location of where the truck is and check it out so that they can buy it back. They refuse to do even that. As I just told them, they are a mixed up dis-organized agency and need to get their act together. They also need to hire customer service reps whose first language is English.

I purchased a vehicle in October 2016. When I purchased the warranty Me. Don ** informed me that my warranty was all mechanical issues. Come to find out after taking my car to the Lexus dealership my warranty did not cover the catalytic converter. I was very upset because the truth was not told and I feel like I was robbed and it hurts.

Carmax seems like a great place, you have tons of used cars all around the country easily shipped to your nearest dealer. I had recently got into an accident and was in desperate need for a car. I found the perfect car online at Carmax with all the exact features I wanted. I had Carmax ship it to my closest location waiting about 2-3 weeks for it. It gets here and I get an informal email telling me the car is here, not asking me to come down or setup an appointment. Alright, I know the car is here so I go and visit Carmax after work.

I bring a few friends along and we go take a look at it. Immediately greeted by an old guy that seemed to not care about anything. He was texting and talking on his phone as he had potential customers there. He took us outside, didn't talk at all, didn't help at all, couldn't even figure out where the damn car was, I had to find it in the lot on my own. I finally found it and I start looking it over doing some initial inspections. The front hood is heavily damaged from rocks and salt, the rear bumper was dismantled improperly where you can see the chipped paint where someone shoved a tool in there to pry it off. These were the first signs that I knew something shady has been going on with the car.

I open the trunk after finding the issue with the bumper and lift up the carpet. The entire spare tire well was repainted in the wrong color and there were slopped on streaks of bondo covering what I assume if a crack or a hole in the rear of the spare tire well. I did my research finding three different reports on this car. All came back clean, nowhere did it mention any of this "repair". I look around more and find some more dings and scratches and the headlights are filled with condensation.

Already mad I look at the sticker price (since they wouldn't list the price until after I looked at it). It was $3,000 above fair market value! Keep in mind that is for excellent condition and in no way was this car even in fair condition. I spoke up trying to talk to the guy and he did not care a single bit. He told me: "oh well just go find another car". So thank you very much Carmax. I will "go find another car." Never again will I do business with you! I should have listened to the numerous horror stories however it seemed too good to pass up.

I was in quick need of a new vehicle and my dad recommended Carmax. At the time I was carpooling an hour to work, so I settled on an Explorer. The mileage was good, looked good, and test drove well. Within the first month, I had transmission trouble. It was slamming into gear and not accelerating properly, so they had to rebuild it. The tread on the tires was also extremely low and I had to demand they be replaced for my safety. They give me a loaner car while the truck is in the shop (about a week). Another couple months down the road, transmission trouble again. At this point, we argue the vehicle is not mechanically sound and they need to buy it back and give me a different vehicle. They offer an appraisal, for less than half of what I bought it for, and say that is all they can offer.

Speak with the manager, call corporate, no solution. I kick myself and keep the vehicle through an engine replacement, 2 more rebuilds, and countless other mechanical issues. They had to repair the vehicle so much that their extended warranty was maxed out and on the fifth repair of the transmission, I had to pay $1800 out of pocket. I still have this vehicle because I can't yet afford to get rid of it, and it still has transmission and other mechanical issues. I will NEVER go to Carmax again and I urge my family and friends not to either.

Beware of Carmax when looking to purchase a car. They will not allow you to have your mechanic check out the car before buying. They have their "5 day return" policy, where you have to buy the car to find out if anything is wrong with it. Then you are at their mercy if you decide to return it. Read the reviews from people that have tried it. The customer should be first. Beware, if the cars are up and up, they wouldn't have a problem with you checking them out BEFORE committing to a purchase.

On July 10, 2016 I bought a car from Carmax in Raleigh, NC, out of necessity. My car broke down on the highway midnight on Saturday June 9th 2016, as I was returning home from visiting families in NC. A friend recommended Carmax because she knew a sales guy there and said he was honest. I went online and did find a car. I called the sales guy and scheduled to come in to get a car in my price (10-15K). I went the Capital Blvd location at 2:00 pm and was approved for a car. Because I was an out of state buyer, I could not get a tag and title from NC, so Carmax gave me a 30 days TEMPORARY NC TAG. The Manager stated I would get the proper paperwork in the mail within 10 days from date of purchase so that I can register my vehicle in my home state.

On July 20, 2016, I did not receive any document in the mail as promised. I called the business department and I was advised to give it another day or two. On July 24, 2016, I called again. I was advised that FedEx had reported it delivered. (The Carmax representative on the phone asked for my mailing addressed to confirm it was sent to correct location). On Agust 5, 2016, I still had not received any mail from Carmax.

The 30 DAY Temporary (NC TAG) had expired. I called and made inquiry again about document to register my vehicle in MD. I got some rude, unprofessional, poor customer service reply from a young lady (name withheld) who said, "There is nothing Carmax can do for you at time, you just have to wait, because it was sent and we have the tracking number." I asked to speak to a manager and was put on hold for 45 mins and had the phone hang up in my ear, while I was still waiting. I called back and calmly asked to speak to a manager. I did get to speak with one (name withheld). I explained the problem, informed him that I had received ticket for expired tag, while park at a metro station, etc and etc. I asked the manager if I could get another Temporary Tag, while they resolve the missing tag issue. He stated due to legal reasons, CARMAX, could not issue me another tag. He stated he would look into the matter and get back to me.

I called several times and made complaints to corporate. I never RECEIVED LEGAL TAGS OR DOCUMENTS FOR THE CAR. I MADE my monthly payment each month. Instead Carmax only sent me several TEMPORARY (NC TAG) each month (although they said they could not legally?). I received police harassment, and tickets and I was advised by one office that the car was not legally mine. It was a rental car. I had a roadside emergency, I called OnStar, I was also advised the car was a rental car registered to ENTERPRISE. It has been a total nightmare. I could not drive car for a month. Long story short, I return the car and I am still pending resolution.

CARMAX Your BUSINESS MODEL DECEPTIVE, AND MANY OF YOUR SALES PITCH IS JUST THAT, A PITCH. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED. THIS WAS MY first auto finance and it has a very bad traumatic experience for me. I live in a state where police do not care about your sad stories or auto buying experience. I was pulled over by one police on 11-08-16, who said I had to show proof that I purchased the car because the tag looked "suspicious." She was correct, it was. The tag was handwritten with conflicting dates (expires in 30 from date written. Dated November 1, 2016). I hope Carmax corporate can do something to repair their image and restore trust with me and others customers who have been ripped off.

Traded in and bought car, saw that CARMAX interest rate was really high so called my normal lender Wright-Patt Credit Union (WPCU) and went through them - this was all at the signing table w/ the CARMAX salesperson. Took car home, signed paperwork w/ WPCU, but CARMAX still sent me a bill and said they never received paperwork from WPCU.

Very disappointed. Offered trade in at lowest price possible after agreeing the car was in great shape. Offered $4000 selling similar car on their website for $10000 plus understand wholesale price and retail price however do not understand 150% mark up. Appraiser also did not like me questioning his valuation and was very aggressive. Also when test driving our car appraiser was driving it car very aggressively.

OMG... I was in need of a vehicle badly because my former vehicle was totaled by a deer so I was on the market for another vehicle. I kept passing this Carmax in the highway as their sign was huge and you could not miss it. So I decided to call and just get information about the company and try and get a feel for the customer service... That to me makes a big difference. I hate pushy car sales people. Being female I was being very cautious as to who I dealt with and how they treated me. So my car representative that I was working with showed concern and treated me well but when I began to be skeptical of the amount of mileage on the vehicles and the price tags Carmax had on their vehicles against the mileage on the cars I began to feel uneasy. My representative played her role right as I was not quick to jump and choose a vehicle... I think she sense not to be pushy or she would totally lose me.

Anyways here is how my negative ordeal began with them... I always say trust your gut instinct. I finally pick a vehicle and they transfer it free of charge according to them it took I believe 4 out of the 7 days they tell you about. So I finally go in to look at the car and had my down payment and all paperwork in hand I was sure I was gonna be driving my vehicle home that day. Get there, representative shows me the car, we look at it inside and out... I'm still waiting for her to offer to test drive which never happened... (Strike 1) I began to get suspicious so I didn't say anything and continued with the process. The vehicle had all the bells and whistles. I liked it as a 2008 though with 94,000 on it.

By the way no sooner than I step out of the vehicle Representative puts her hand out right away to snatch the key back as if she didn't want me to take off with the car or something... (Strike 2) By the time we sat to do paperwork... I'm still not feeling comfortable. Getting approval from Carmax is highway robbery. Their fees and rates are ridiculous and their gap insurance is so over priced which boost your monthly payments up. As I continue with the paperwork process I noticed that the representative is a little nervous as I began to read and notice their figures... So online the vehicle was priced at $19,0000, on paper the vehicle was priced at 17,000 by the time they added all their fees, their ridiculously interest rate as you go through their finance people...

They wanted me to sign on the dotted line for a 2008 used vehicle with 94,000 costing me $31,000 (Strike 3 and they were out). I look at both representatives and had to laugh at them... I'm sure they included in there that translated fee as well and tried to tell me that it was a free transfer. I just walked out... I could not believe how Carmax would take advantage of people. I do not understand how they are still in business. Listen, trust your gut instinct. Don't get sucked in because of your situation of needing a car. This is just a warning. But DO NOT jump into contract with this so called dealer without reading and paying attention to their fees and fine print. I didn't get sucked in but buyer BEWARE OF CARMAX.

I went to Carmax to try and see what price they would give me for my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. They only offered $10,000 for the vehicle. I have checked on NADA and the vehicle is in Average shape, which they listed it being worth around $15,000. Carmax will lowball you on the value of the vehicle and claim they base their offer by market value. Market value for jeeps is high, I have seen 2007 to 2009's sell on lots for $16,000 to almost $18,000. But if you try and trade it in they want to rip the customer off so they can make almost a $10,000 profit off of the vehicle.

I have never had such a hard time trying to sell a vehicle in my life, if a jeep is so popular and hold their value so much why is it so hard to sell? I have heard that banks will not give a car loan of $17,000 to a private individual because they will say the vehicle is not worth that amount. But, will give dealers loans for that amount on a used Jeep? I am starting to believe that the car market is a total rip off for the customer and a win, win for dealers and banks.

I had been approved online, then was contacted not long after by one of their Sales Reps. I was approved for a loan of 15K on a 12.5K vehicle. So over the course of a week i had my reservations on the 2012 Kia Optima I was willing to get. It had an oil flow problem that would cause the engine to seize. Ok, I thought, let me contact her and tell her no dice. I did that. After that I came back to her agreeing to the sale, as the issue resolving the vehicle was a simple fix one could perform in their driveway.

So after I agreed, she ran my credit again, hitting it twice in less than a week. I was still approved for the same loan amount, but my down payment, which was to be 500 jumped to 680. So I told her that it would be a few days before I could get to the dealership, as I was waiting for payday. So when the day came, I went down there expecting for everything to go smoothly. It did not. Not only was my recent pay raise removed from the original agreed upon arrangement, I was told that my loan was decreased and that my down payment would have to be 2K instead. They said that my recent promotion that increased my pay could not be included and that the following year's annual income would be favored instead, thus putting me into a lower income bracket than what I actually am. I was not happy. I will not be pursuing a car purchase from Carmax for just that reason. And, as a side note, destroyed my credit as well in the process.

Jan 2, 2016 went in to have 2012 GMC Terrain looked at. Engine light was on and was jerking furiously at every stop and had stalled a few times while in reverse. I explained all of this to Resa (service agent) and she's constantly telling me what it could be. I don't want to know what it could be, I want to know what it is. She tells me she can't get it in today but can make an appointment for the following Monday; Jan 9th (a whole week out for an appt), so I dropped my car off Sunday night, Jan 8th. Jan 9th Resa calls at 1030a to tell me they are taking my car in to test.

Fast forward to 430 pm, I call to check and another agent says she will call me back. Another hour later Resa calls and says, "Oh you had so many issues we couldn't get it all tested". I said, "you've had my car all day and haven't looked at it." She beats around the bush still saying I had too many issues. She basically lied the whole time because on my initial call at 1030a, she says she filling out a rental form for me. How long does it take to connect a diagnostics reader to a vehicle for the results. I say "so you've had my car all day and no one has looked at it." She says "you have 2 options. You can pick it up and take it somewhere else or we can look at it tomorrow."

By this time, I'm furious. I reiterated "so you've had my car all day and haven't looked at it." She says "yes and your car is not the only one." I said "I'm on my way to pick up my keys. WTH do I care how many others cars you have? You could've did your job and called me earlier to let me know so I could have made other arrangements." I picked up my keys and asked to speak to manager (Tim **), was told he was in meeting and was given his number. I called the next day and left CM. I have yet to receive a callback and today is Jan 13th. I also noticed when picking my car up, it was same place as I had parked the night before. So my car hadn't been touched at all.

I was already convinced I was sold me a lemon. Have had all types of problem since purchasing this vehicle. Now I'm sure. Absolutely hate I purchased a car from them and won't ever again. Absolute worst customer service period!!! Beware consumers, do not buy or take your car there for repairs. Louisville, KY location absolute worst. Please believe. I'm researching on filing a lawsuit for this vehicle.

Carmax Company Profile