Carmax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the second vehicle I have bought from Carmax and I will NEVER buy another one. First vehicle had so many problems. I was told they do an inspection on all their vehicles. LIES! The second vehicle I bought 6 months ago has been in the repair shop 4 times. I bought the extended care plan and was told road side assistance wasn't available. Called Carmax roadside assistance and the people were RUDE and unwilling to help. My vehicle won't start and I have to wait 2 hours for someone to arrive. Called about another tow truck, asked rep to find tow truck in the allowed budget, she said that wasn't her job to search around for someone in my price range. WOW!

Carmax sold me a extended warranty, that's totally worthless... Ford had extended their warranty to 100,000 miles... Carmax sold me a warranty that was already covered by Ford and ends at 100,000 miles. They sold me a worthless piece of paper for 1300 dollars. I called them at 60,000 to cancel and was told that I wasn't entitled to any refund... so I just took their word for it. They lied to me, but of course I have no way to prove it.

I sold my 2011 Mitsubishi Spyder with 25000 miles on it to Carmax because I was leaving Florida. I took it to Carmax in Bradenton and the appraiser said that the car would have to be sold at wholesale because of hairline cracks in the dash "Carmax couldn't sell it like that". I took the offer of $7800 because I was leaving in 2 days and was convinced by the dealer that it was barely worth the $7800. 2 working days later I saw the car on their website in Tampa on sale for $15,000. I spoke with the corporate office and was told that they would check it out and call me back within 24 hours... It never happened, but instead the salesman from Tampa called and tried to justify their actions.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and they also were unable to get an acknowledgment of the unethical practice from Carmax. At a minimum I really expected someone in the company to apologize and acknowledge that I had been lied to. Everyone that I spoke with at Carmax had the same condescending attitude, I'll never do business with them again or recommend them to anyone.

Purchased a car from Carmax about a year ago and it had an A/C problem when we did the test drive. Really liked the car and decided to purchase anyway with the promise to fix a/c. Thought the price was a little too high but liked the car and want to go ahead and get it. They kept car for a week to fix A/C problem. Well long story short, it's been a year and still having a problem. Has been into service at least 6 times, so frustrated. Don't think I am going to get much help on trading or money back either. Made a big mistake, needless to say I have not had a good experience.

Buying a car from Carmax at 620 Cross Keys Rd, Sicklerville, NJ 08081 was an experience in incompetence and poor customer service. We found a 2015 Honda Civic located in King of Prussia, PA. We made arrangements online to have the car shipped to the Sicklerville location. It was there the day we arrive to see it. I purchased it, cash. That is the only thing that went well.

Waiting to purchase the car, the sales rep could not process any paperwork because even though the car was on the lot the electronic file was not in the Sicklerville system. We sat there for over an hour and half waiting for the electronic file to be transferred from King Prussia. I chose to register the car myself. After five days passed I went to pick up the title and other paperwork to take to the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles for the tags and title. The staff member in the business office handed me a folder and stated everything is in order for the DMV. The first trip to the DMV the document that transfers the car to me was missing. The car has been transferred from King a Prussia to Sicklerville but not to me. I return to Carmax, for the additional paperwork. They admitted they forgot to include it.

Second trip to the DMV. The clerk notices the information stamped and filled in by the staff at Carmax does not match the bill of sale. (Taxes and purchase price incorrect). Return to Carmax for the third time. Someone in the business offices sees this in my third visit in the same day, takes all the paper makes the corrections and reviews all the documents for correctness. Another person from the business says would you “like a tank of gas for all your trouble.” My response if I had the car with me I would return it to you!

Third trip to the DMV, they too also commented on the incompetence by the Carmax staff. Each trip to the DMV meant standing in endless lines, only to be told 2 times that the paperwork was wrong and I had to return to Carmax. I spent a day going back and forth to Carmax and the DMV due to the lack of training or attention to detail by the staff at Carmax.

The manager never introduced him or herself, while we were waiting for the transfer of files to purchase the car. Nor did he or she approach me on this day when I was trying to settle the registration of the car. No apologies, explanation or offer of services except for tank of gas. I bought this car for my son. I have bought a number of cars over the years. I never had such a negative experience or such an unapologetic group of individuals. I will never recommend Carmax to anyone nor will I ever consider buying a car from such an unprofessional group of individuals.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Went to CarMax in St Peters. Typical 30 min appraisal (I sold a truck to them 2 months ago). Disclosed left rear quarter panel damage and replacement with no airbag deployment. Auto check was clean with no reported accidents. Car KBB 15000. They offered $7000 claiming that there was frame damage. I had pictures of the repair and there was no frame damage. They claimed that the car was a unibody and that a fender was part of the frame. This is **. I told them it was ** but they stuck by their story and tried to screw me. DO NOT USE THESE CROOKS. DISHONEST AND VERY MUCH LIKE ALL CAR DEALERS. If they didn't want the car then fine. Just don't try to ** me. I will never have any dealings with these lightweights again and will tell 100 of my friends what crooks they are.

So my husband and I recently purchased a 2015 Dodge Journey. 30k miles on it and we have made 5 payments. The car has been in the shop 4 times leaving me stranded on the side of the road with 3 small children the 1st month we had it! Now we've had it in the shop three more times for emissions problems and they can't even figure out what's causing the problem so they had to call in Dodge's Star team. They have now had our car for a week. Still can't get it figured out. Granted we got a rental as we should but we put $4,000 down on this car for it to be a reliable family vehicle and so far it has not been that.

I know that CarMax brags about their 4.0 inspections or what have you but somebody sure didn't do enough checking out on this car! When we talked to CarMax corporate all they want to do is try to get you in another vehicle. I put $4,000 down and they only want to give me $1,000 equity and then try to get us in different car or something else that's more reliable which is bull crap! I definitely don't recommend CarMax if you're looking for a good dependable used family vehicle!! All they did was take my money and leave me with a crappy vehicle and I don't know about you but $4,000 is hard for us to come up with when you have a family of 5! I feel completely ripped off. I don't recommend CarMax or Dodge Journey to anyone. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else!

I came to CarMax (21636 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77449) to sell my old car. They promised to evaluate the car... I was very surprised when the appraiser did not even want to see the car, he also refused to look at auto-related documents. He asked only a year and a mileage. And the estimate was immediately ready in his head - 2,000 dollars. One day prior to that, I conducted a thorough market research and concluded that the market price for such a car should be at least $6,000. I understand that everyone wants to make money, but not in such an impudent way... (I expected at least 3,500). Besides, the appraiser behaved as if there was a complete moron in front of him. I thought CarMax honors its reputation and respects its clients. All the companies that I respect do everything to earn loyalty of the customer, for example, Amazon.com. All this in the long term is reflected in the company's financial statements. It's sad that CarMax does not care.

When we went to the Carmax here in Greensboro, NC we had seen the commercials and thought that it would be a great place to sell my car. We get there, are greeted and sit down to go over the car's specs and are told that it will take about 30 minutes and that we could go look at other cars on the lot. We see one that looks just like mine, same mileage and year, and also in great condition just like mine, set at $15,699. 30 minutes go by and we go back inside to look over the offer made, they offered $5,000! Lowest offer we have ever received and they won't even work with you on the offer unlike other dealers. They explain how great our car is and how well it would sell and in all at the end we learned they just wanted to screw us out of our car and leave us with no money to even get another. We left with no car sold and very very poor service! Would never ever recommend to anyone! DO NOT GO HERE!

I have been buying my cars from Carmax until I had the most unforgettable experience with them. I had my CRV fix for the struts replace and after they fix it my radio was not working anymore. First the service department lied to me then the manager for the service department connive with them and won't fix my radio and back up camera. I told them it was working when I came in the service department and after that it is not working anymore. They would lie to you to protect their employees and they would fabricate stories. I am so disappointed and it will be last time buying from Carmax. They won't fix my radio and they want me to shoulder half of the cost which is so ridiculous.

Do not EVER sell them your car. Yes it's easy and you can walk away with a check immediately, but it's a total rip-off. You can more just about everywhere else. When I went to sell them the same car I bought from them, they said the frame was bent and had clamp marks on it. Their common phrase. They should be arrested for lying. Yes, someone sideswiped the back fender of my car, so there was probably a Carfax report. But it was minor and I had the scratches buffed out. NO damage. If what they were saying was true, then they told me a wrecked car to begin with.

Recently my wife and I went to CarMax in Albuquerque and purchased a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 75K miles. The truck looked like a cherry but it was in New Jersey so we had to pay $800 (non-refundable) to bring the truck to Albuquerque. They made a big deal about how they would inspect it at the dealer in NJ and let us know if there were any problems, which they said "No it passed our inspection." The truck arrived and it was very nice looking... clean with very few little dings.

Fortunately, we took it to our Toyota dealer with whom we have had a longtime relationship. Within 5 minutes our guy said "I have bad news." As it turns out a good portion of the chassis and frame was rusting out and he told us it would be a major problem within 1-2 years, at which point it would be structurally unsound. In fact, he told us that they had a record that Toyota warned the one previous owner that the chassis was dangerously rusted and would be unsafe to drive in the near future. I guess he unloaded it on CarMax.

We took it back within the 5 day refund window and the deal was canceled without much ado, which is the only reason I gave them 2 stars instead of 1. When we asked about their "inspection" we were told that the "inspectors" bang on the underside with a hammer to see how much "surface rust" falls off. Seriously? Our guy knew within 5 minutes that the truck was soon to be dangerous to drive. I find it hard to believe that CarMax did not also know there was a problem, either from their "inspection" or service records, which they make a big deal out of but turn out to be either incomplete or only partially reported. I will be contacting the State of New Mexico Attorney General to file a complaint of fraud and misrepresentation by CarMax and request our transfer fee back. Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware!

Bought MaxCare Warranty with vehicle for $1700. Sales pitch was "If you ever need a transmission this will protect from big expenses". Three years in the transmission failed. Carmax took it and applied for the warranty company to fix it - no they are not actually offering any warranty - just selling them for CNA National Warranty, so that way neither party has to actually stand behind it. After Ford diagnosis was "Needs to have rebuilt Transmission" and after another week of messing and having CNA send an inspector etc., they refused to even offer the usual used one with 6 month warranty (after which transmissions are no longer covered by the master agreement by the way). Instead, they replied that since the car still moves, even if it does go slow, stops and falls out of gear and then re-engages with a massive clank, there is no need to fix it.

However if I insist I can have it fixed myself for $3000 and then send them the details of what was done and they might or might decide to reimburse all or part of my expense. I don't have that cash, and surely that was the final bail, not a serious offer, so I have to drive until it blows apart on the road. Our only car and my wife is too afraid to drive it. I do want to be fair and emphasize that the Service Manager at the Carmax dealership was great and tried in many ways to make it work, and covered the cost incurred up to then including the rental. So I had nothing to pay. For that reason I would buy a car from them again - but never a MaxCare warranty. Once it is sold the company that actually owns it (CNA National Warranty) apparently takes no responsibility. For that I fault CNA as a fraud, and Carmax Business Department for dealing with them.

They sold my gullible son a 2014 KIA Soul and an extended warranty and financed it at 19% for 7 years. Yes, he was a dumbass for doing it. They made out like a bandit. I went to talk to them about it, and they defended their position as expected. I made my feelings known. The business practices of this company are very unethical. My son is now stuck with a car that he is having trouble with, and the deductible on the extended warranty is costing him money.

I am a hearing impaired driver and I called through the special relay for the deaf and the interpreter who interpret the phone call for me to CarMax and I wanted to get a Nissan or a SUV and to work out a financing terms and monthly payments... All of sudden this person was so agitated and rude told the interpreter "Shut your trap and let me finish talking here. We don't sell cars to anyone who is dumb, stupid and cannot hear on roads. Don't call here to buy a car from us. We ain't selling to you period, so go away I and don't call again." Slammed phone on us. This will be filed for discrimination on the hearing impaired and as well as disabled people.

It was horrible nasty talk from this business, I have left numerous messages by email and none of them have even called me back. I think this business needs to be shut down and taken away from CarMax all over the US, now that I have learned something about them. I have medical need that requires me to drive not walk. I have been sick from heat humidity, and worse I am 57 years old now. I have to sit home all day and night like imprisoned in my home, and just started a fundraiser on GoFundMe.com to try to raise money to get a vehicle, this hurts a lot more than anything, to get to go back to work again. Now it has to be held off until I get a vehicle. I am feeling like a victim to all this...

Stay away from CarMax. I bought a 2006 Infiniti G35 2 years ago with 75k miles. Well now the car has 110k and the transmission needs to be replaced. I did some research and this car was sold at an auction. I should have done my research then. It may cost a bit more, but I would buy a car at a dealership.

I have never experienced anything like this before in my 64 years. We have bought many cars in our life but never been treated like this before! We were sold a car that was advertised with Carmax to have 6000 miles on it. All paperwork we signed had 6000 miles on it. We bought the car only to get it home and the odometer read 51000 miles. Called them they said we could bring the car back and they would find us another car with less miles but we would have to pay more for it!

Called Corporate office but they were useless! So upset and distraught decided to keep the car so had to go change paperwork to read correct mileage arrived at the Carmax office @ 12:00 Friday by 4:30 had not seen any paperwork had to have someone come pick us up take us home to let our dogs out and get a car, get something to eat. Was to be back at Carmax by 7:00 hoping paperwork would be ready. Got call @7:10 to not come till 8:00 finally was released around 9:15. Mistakes are made that's when customer service should be shown! There was none shown here! Their talk was sweet but actions were bull crap!!! First time dealing with Carmax and will be my last. Never again! They talk a good talk but don't really care about their customers! Just big corporation not concerned with the customers that got them there! Buyers beware!!!

I bought a 2013 Honda. At first it was giving me no problems then a month later the car does not want to start. At first I thought it was nothing then it happen again two weeks after. I had to call AAA to get the car checked and turns out the battery was no good. I had heard bad reviews from other people about Carmax but didn't think a new car sold at such a high price will not turn on on me a few weeks after buying it. How is it that Carmax sells a car that will mess up within a few weeks of having it?!

They will tell you they will work with you and the next thing you know without notification your car is gone. They said they would move a payment to the end of my term, but denied later, but did not notify me. I'm thinking everything is okay, my daughter goes out to no car! I will NEVER deal or refer ANYONE to Carmax!!!

I bought a 2007 Ford Edge from Carmax on Sept of 2015, with only 77k miles on it. I was excited to get Max care for 2 years or 150k miles... Well, within the first 3-months, I had to use the warranty on the racket pinion, it was leaking. I had no problem with them at that point. By the way, there was no way I was taking my vehicle to Carmax to be serviced. Anyways, this vehicle sat for most of the time. I am self employed and was using my other vehicle for work. I ended up selling that vehicle in October of 2016, this is when I started driving the edge A LOT more.

I had the alternator go out Tuesday May 31. I called the warranty company to let them know it's going to the same place that did the racket pinion, they told me no problem, yes the alternator is covered. I told Merlin to go over this vehicle from head to toe and anything they feel needs to be replaced from the warranty do it and I will let the warranty company know. Well, Wednesday morning, I get a phone call from Merlin the transfer case is leaking. So now I had to call the warranty company to let them know the transfer case is bad. Again they say it's covered. So now comes the waiting game. I never got the rental and Merlin was waiting in approval to get the transfer case. Then Merlin had to take a picture of the case and send it in... This was Thursday... Now we are waiting for the inspector to come out to look at it. That didn't happen until Saturday...

I'm still without a rental, I had to reschedule my customers from Wednesday to Friday. Monday I called Merlin. They told me it's in the hands of a supervisor. Now, I only put 10k miles on this vehicle in the 19 months I had it. I was asking myself why are they dragging their feet on approving the repairs? And a rental for me, while the vehicle which has the warranty coverage is at the shop? They knew it was at Merlin for 6 days. Why drag their feet on what is obviously covered? Well I ended up calling Carmax in Naperville. I talked to Russell and he had to send emails, texts and phone calls to get my vehicle repaired. I will NEVER EVER buy from Carmax again! The warranty company was trying to put a used part on the vehicle. I blew up on Russell, why put a used or re-manufactured part in a vehicle I purchased with 77k miles and it has 88k miles on it...

Needless to say, Russell agreed and a new transfer case. I finally got the rental on Monday June 5. The same day I had to call Russell my vehicle finally got fixed Tuesday June 6. I should have never went that long to get a rental, my vehicle should not have been sitting on one of Merlin's bay apart for 7 days. When in fact I had this vehicle for 19 months and put 10k miles on it. My warranty was black and white on what's covered but yet they didn't want to fix this vehicle. They were trying so hard to put the fault on me. Hell they even mentioned the tires, I bought the vehicle with those tires... Max care wants us to pay for it but not honor it when the time comes. They are full of piss and vinegar. I should have not had to call Russell and get the ball running. I most definitely will not recommend Carmax.

This is for Carmax and their Max care warranty companies that they use to trick and finagle hard working people into purchasing. I bought a car from Carmax and bought the warranty for the car. Now my car now needs repairs so I sent it through the warranty company "Max Care". After "Max Care Warranty group" requested my dealership to completely take my engine out of my car so it can be inspected, they declined my repair. They also decline to pay for the labor of that request AND rental car while the car was being inspected even though it's as stated in the warranty.

After 2 months of calling the warranty company I am still being ignored and have gotten zero answers. My South Atlanta Audi dealership tells me I must pick up my car while I fight it out with Max Care warranty group. So, I get to the dealership and was told I have to pay for all of the things the warranty group requested to be done to my car. Over $600 worth of "inspections". So even though the warranty requested this service, I'm stuck with paying the bill in order to get my none working car home. I repeat... South Atlanta Audi dealership says I have to pay for all of the things the warranty group requested to be done to my car. Over $600 worth of "inspections". So even though the warranty requested this type of inspection I am stuck with the bill... for a car with a paid warranty!

I follow the stated procedures for appeal, send it to the PO box listed in the "warranty address" only to receive no response, no return phone calls or even acknowledgment of receipt of my appeal. I am out several hundreds of dollars for a warranty issued by Car Max that does not live up to its agreements. I have yet to be contacted by this Max Care warranty group Or reimbursed for the manual inspection requested by Max Care. Nor was I told by the service men at the South Atlanta Audi dealership that I would be responsible for the labor of the service request issued by Max Care.

For anyone looking to buy a car... DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM Carmax and do not trust that neither Carmax or their warranty group "Max Care" will honor their warranty agreement. I now have my attorney preparing for the next step since both companies have chosen to leave me stranded. Both in trust and monetarily. I plan to tell as many people on social media as I can. And have even begin calling the news media to get my story picked up. Watch out for dealerships like this. They do not care about its buyers and will ignore you...

Think twice about purchasing a car through Carmax. Below is my factual experience. The SRX Cadillac was transferred from Carmax New Jersey to Carmax Beaverton Oregon with, Quote and in writing before transfer, by Carmax: "No structural Damage". It arrived with $1000.00 of structural damage so Carmax waived the transfer fee to compensate for the body repairs that I would need to make because they don't offer any In house auto body repair service. After only 1600 miles of highway driving, the check engine light came on. I phoned the Carmax service department immediately when this occurred, in real time. The Carmax service department didn't have any immediate openings to assist.

Very worried at this point, I then took it upon myself to take photos and a video of what followed. I went and had the car inspected/serviced elsewhere. Something one should not have to task with only 1600 miles driving time (that's just 9 round trips to work and home). And taking into account/trusting what Carmax had placed in writing before purchase. The inspection findings: Engine oil was over full, black and dirty as can be. The Air Filter was very dirty and the Engine mount was bent and the Engine plate was missing. As I look at the Carmax inspection sheet before purchasing the auto it stated in black and white that all above mentioned had either passed inspection and/or was serviced/replaced.

I had to have the oil, the oil filter and the air filter replaced. I have kept a sample of the very dirty oil and the very dirty air filter (video and photos of all in real time). This is no way to sell a car to anyone. I will now have to monitor the auto and again change the oil after the next two 1000 miles of driving time. Has any damage to the engine occurred? This will be a wait and see. The Check engine light went off after 5 miles of driving time on the new oil. With all of this said, how can Carmax put in writing that there was " No structural Damage", " "The oil was changed" before purchase and a "complete inspection of the car had occurred" before purchase.

I have lost trust in Carmax after my factual experience. They are in the business to sell cars. But they are surely NOT in the business for Service or Customer Service. As anyone would know it is very important to change the oil every 3000-5000 miles as dirty oil can cause many problems/damage to a vehicle. In closing, What a mistake this was by buying a car from high volume Carmax dealership...

So disappointed in Carmax. Bought a car 3 weeks ago to use as a dingy. Took it to have the tow bar installed and mechanic finds we have no bumper under the plastic bumper. Is this how CarMax does a bumper to bumper check. My husband goes to Carmax and they have an attitude. We now have to pay our mechanic to put the car back together to take to CarMax for them to repair, then take it back to our mechanic and again pay him to take it apart to install the tow bar. UNBELIEVABLE.

I bought a Sequoia 2007 in 2014 and in 2016 I bought a Camry. I decided I wanted to buy a Mustang and a minivan and wanted to trade in my Sequoia. I figured it says $10,000 blue book value and it was already paid for ($18,000). I took back to Carmax of Laurel Md and they said it was worth $4000. I was like, "No way". The guys says, "Have you had an accident?" I said, "No". He says it was in an accident and says, "I can only do $4000," and would not show me the Carfax. I left, went over to Passport Toyota and they said $3000 and they said only because the vehicle was in an accident and the odometer was tampered with. This was a shock to me cause when we purchased the vehicle NONE of this was disclosed to us. So I called Carmax and spoke to a manager I guess from Virginia and he said there was nothing he could do.

I liked dealing with Carmax. The people were friendly, the price was good and everything was great even when I bought my Camry in 2016 and this is the 3rd vehicle and after this experience probably the last. I like honesty when dealing with people and driving off in a vehicle that is supposedly safe for me and my family. So far I've had $3000 worth of work done to it since the first year and now I have to get the engine fixed cause when you give it gas it moves I forgot what you call that. Same thing happened with the Chrysler Pacifica I bought from there. They got us!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I took my car to a dealer for an appraisal and guess what? I received an appraisal of $4,500. Not much better. So Carmax was correct and I owe them an apology on the appraisal. I did sell them a Corolla that appraised much higher. Bottom line - always get a second opinion.

Mark of Chicago, IL on

Original Review

Took my 2010 Prius to Carmax for an appraisal and offer. Was told that the car had frame damage and that the best they could do was $4,000 and that the car would end up at auction. Took it the next day to a very reputable appraisal service used by USAA and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the frame at all.

CARMAX COLUMBUS OHIO - I went to Carmax not really knowing anything about the company except that you see it everywhere. Typically I Google companies/restaurants, etc. and read the reviews and customer experiences. However, I didn't think I had to do that for this. I bought a 2012 FORD EDGE at the Sawmill location and was excited and happy about my purchase as it took some convincing for my husband to agree to an SUV, which I've wanted for a long time. So, I finally got my SUV. The very next day my check engine light comes on. I took it to the Dayton store the moment the light came on and I received the paperwork that they had fixed my car. The very next day the check engine light came on again. It was the weekend so the service department was closed. I emailed the service department so there would be some kind of record of my problem as I was still within my 5 day return policy that they have.

My husband and I took the car back on the 5th day to the Easton store as they had a car I wanted to drive. They ended up allowing me to turn in my car, not too many questions asked. We bought another car, (had to spend 4K more and put more money down to get something even comparable to what I wanted but nonetheless, they took the piece of junk car back). One of the reasons I picked the car I picked was because it had navigation. Come to find out it really didn't because there was no SD card. I asked them to put in writing that they would send me an SD card. I told them I was taking a trip and needed it asap. They received the card the very next day and kindly overnighted me the card with a personal note inside telling me to enjoy my trip and that they appreciate my business.

Needless to say I never received an email back from the Dayton store and I sent four emails. I don't know if it is because she somehow determined I had bought a new car but I expected something from her. I'm pretty nervous now every time I hear or feel something going on with my new car but fingers crossed it's not another piece of junk. I'm very happy with the EASTON store and the service they provided me. I would recommend that Carmax clean their cars before they sell them as there were muddy paw prints all over my windows and it did seem like a small inconvenience that they had to clean the windows for me. When you spend all that money on a new car you do want it to be cleaned/detailed.

Went to Carmax after looking on other lots for the car I was wanting. I had done my homework, and knew what my desired vehicle's options & packages were. The young man who helped us was nice. A few things really turned us off after dealing with them though. First, the said value of my car was x-amount on Kelly Blue book. Wrong - I had checked beforehand & they were 2k less (my vehicle was in mint condition anyway & they agreed). Second their appraisal, Carmax, was also below the Kelly value. Next, we discovered the luxury package they advertised was really a premium package - false advertising - especially when the price doesn't go down for their supposed mistake.

Next, we never could figure out why the rims on their vehicle we drove were rims that were on the base model - when it was really a premium package - though it was even advertised as the luxury package. Once home, we looked on their website to discover they were evidently replacing their vehicles with cheaper rims on premium & luxury models. Where do those rims go!? After our experience we believe they are preying on people who don't know any better. Not a company I want to do business with!

Purchased a 2013 Camry XSE. Price and terms were acceptable. Took delivery and discovered problems with the front suspension. I returned to the dealership within the week, spoke to the "greater" at the entrance. I described my concerns and was advised to continue driving the vehicle. I could bring it back if the issues continued. Since when do issues like this self correct?

Brought the vehicle back and this time I was directed to the service manager. The manager had an employee take me for a ride; his diagnosis was a bad front wheel bearing. I have the experience of working on my own vehicles and this diagnosis is bogus. I brought the car back (again). This time, it is the front shock absorbers/struts. In my opinion shocks and other front-end components do not suddenly fail at 35,000 miles. For a mere 1,200.00 I could get the car repaired. Note that this is the third time I have returned to have these issues addressed, only to be told that the 30-day warranty had expired. I am beginning to believe that this delaying process is designed to circumvent CarMax's responsibility. (Color me dense: the car was still under warranty by Toyota when I first surfaced these concerns.)

Before these issues were resolved through legal actions, the car was totaled. Replaced the Toyota Camry with a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. The salesman, a President's Club member, flat out lied about the fact that this car had in fact been in an accident. The interest rate offered was ridiculously high; I expected the same rate as before. The salesman agreed that this was a sensible position to take. Having reached an agreement, I failed to check the paperwork prior to signing the contract. The rate rose by 2.0%. I spent the next seven days in the hospital, the fraudulent contract was not on the top of my list of concerns. Lucky me! The Sonata was stolen and totaled by the thieves. Need I say that CarMax was not even considered as a supplier. CANNOT BE TRUSTED AT ANY LEVEL!

I purchased a car from Carmax. I felt it was bad when I had to bring my car back within the first week of having for problems with engine and transmission mounts among other things. I kept the car over the years. I have kept up the maintenance of the car. I brought the car in when I needed to. Well I took my car in for issues with lost of power and shifting. They replaced the air compressor which was a problem I didn't know I had but the technician couldn't find a problem by driving the problem. I took my car back with same issue, Carmax replace air compressor for a second time and an engine or transmission mount. Still had problems with shifting and power in the V6 car. Well I stopped worrying about it.

Over time it has gotten worst. Guess what, my warranty ended. Well I reached out to Carmax. They allowed me to bring my car in to be diagnosed. Wouldn't you know, they found the car have internal transmission damage and they actual want me to pay to fix it. I don't think that's fair. Why should I pay because they don't listen to my concerns about a car I was driving daily. Well I do take responsible for not staying on the issue, but I think the right thing for them to do would be to take care of the customer. They let me bring the car in for the diagnose and now they backing away and not owning the wrongdoing.

Poor presentation and customer feedback. Experience was average. The vehicle I purchased smelled like smoke. We purchased late in the evening... Exterior was acceptable! Worst cleaning job ever. We were in a serious car situation and just overlooked this craziness. No follow up! "How is your car running?" None of that!

Carmax Company Profile