Carmax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a 2007 Ford Edge from Carmax on Sept of 2015, with only 77k miles on it. I was excited to get Max care for 2 years or 150k miles... Well, within the first 3-months, I had to use the warranty on the racket pinion, it was leaking. I had no problem with them at that point. By the way, there was no way I was taking my vehicle to Carmax to be serviced. Anyways, this vehicle sat for most of the time. I am self employed and was using my other vehicle for work. I ended up selling that vehicle in October of 2016, this is when I started driving the edge A LOT more.

I had the alternator go out Tuesday May 31. I called the warranty company to let them know it's going to the same place that did the racket pinion, they told me no problem, yes the alternator is covered. I told Merlin to go over this vehicle from head to toe and anything they feel needs to be replaced from the warranty do it and I will let the warranty company know. Well, Wednesday morning, I get a phone call from Merlin the transfer case is leaking. So now I had to call the warranty company to let them know the transfer case is bad. Again they say it's covered. So now comes the waiting game. I never got the rental and Merlin was waiting in approval to get the transfer case. Then Merlin had to take a picture of the case and send it in... This was Thursday... Now we are waiting for the inspector to come out to look at it. That didn't happen until Saturday...

I'm still without a rental, I had to reschedule my customers from Wednesday to Friday. Monday I called Merlin. They told me it's in the hands of a supervisor. Now, I only put 10k miles on this vehicle in the 19 months I had it. I was asking myself why are they dragging their feet on approving the repairs? And a rental for me, while the vehicle which has the warranty coverage is at the shop? They knew it was at Merlin for 6 days. Why drag their feet on what is obviously covered? Well I ended up calling Carmax in Naperville. I talked to Russell and he had to send emails, texts and phone calls to get my vehicle repaired. I will NEVER EVER buy from Carmax again! The warranty company was trying to put a used part on the vehicle. I blew up on Russell, why put a used or re-manufactured part in a vehicle I purchased with 77k miles and it has 88k miles on it...

Needless to say, Russell agreed and a new transfer case. I finally got the rental on Monday June 5. The same day I had to call Russell my vehicle finally got fixed Tuesday June 6. I should have never went that long to get a rental, my vehicle should not have been sitting on one of Merlin's bay apart for 7 days. When in fact I had this vehicle for 19 months and put 10k miles on it. My warranty was black and white on what's covered but yet they didn't want to fix this vehicle. They were trying so hard to put the fault on me. Hell they even mentioned the tires, I bought the vehicle with those tires... Max care wants us to pay for it but not honor it when the time comes. They are full of piss and vinegar. I should have not had to call Russell and get the ball running. I most definitely will not recommend Carmax.

This is for Carmax and their Max care warranty companies that they use to trick and finagle hard working people into purchasing. I bought a car from Carmax and bought the warranty for the car. Now my car now needs repairs so I sent it through the warranty company "Max Care". After "Max Care Warranty group" requested my dealership to completely take my engine out of my car so it can be inspected, they declined my repair. They also decline to pay for the labor of that request AND rental car while the car was being inspected even though it's as stated in the warranty.

After 2 months of calling the warranty company I am still being ignored and have gotten zero answers. My South Atlanta Audi dealership tells me I must pick up my car while I fight it out with Max Care warranty group. So, I get to the dealership and was told I have to pay for all of the things the warranty group requested to be done to my car. Over $600 worth of "inspections". So even though the warranty requested this service, I'm stuck with paying the bill in order to get my none working car home. I repeat... South Atlanta Audi dealership says I have to pay for all of the things the warranty group requested to be done to my car. Over $600 worth of "inspections". So even though the warranty requested this type of inspection I am stuck with the bill... for a car with a paid warranty!

I follow the stated procedures for appeal, send it to the PO box listed in the "warranty address" only to receive no response, no return phone calls or even acknowledgment of receipt of my appeal. I am out several hundreds of dollars for a warranty issued by Car Max that does not live up to its agreements. I have yet to be contacted by this Max Care warranty group Or reimbursed for the manual inspection requested by Max Care. Nor was I told by the service men at the South Atlanta Audi dealership that I would be responsible for the labor of the service request issued by Max Care.

For anyone looking to buy a car... DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM Carmax and do not trust that neither Carmax or their warranty group "Max Care" will honor their warranty agreement. I now have my attorney preparing for the next step since both companies have chosen to leave me stranded. Both in trust and monetarily. I plan to tell as many people on social media as I can. And have even begin calling the news media to get my story picked up. Watch out for dealerships like this. They do not care about its buyers and will ignore you...

Think twice about purchasing a car through Carmax. Below is my factual experience. The SRX Cadillac was transferred from Carmax New Jersey to Carmax Beaverton Oregon with, Quote and in writing before transfer, by Carmax: "No structural Damage". It arrived with $1000.00 of structural damage so Carmax waived the transfer fee to compensate for the body repairs that I would need to make because they don't offer any In house auto body repair service. After only 1600 miles of highway driving, the check engine light came on. I phoned the Carmax service department immediately when this occurred, in real time. The Carmax service department didn't have any immediate openings to assist.

Very worried at this point, I then took it upon myself to take photos and a video of what followed. I went and had the car inspected/serviced elsewhere. Something one should not have to task with only 1600 miles driving time (that's just 9 round trips to work and home). And taking into account/trusting what Carmax had placed in writing before purchase. The inspection findings: Engine oil was over full, black and dirty as can be. The Air Filter was very dirty and the Engine mount was bent and the Engine plate was missing. As I look at the Carmax inspection sheet before purchasing the auto it stated in black and white that all above mentioned had either passed inspection and/or was serviced/replaced.

I had to have the oil, the oil filter and the air filter replaced. I have kept a sample of the very dirty oil and the very dirty air filter (video and photos of all in real time). This is no way to sell a car to anyone. I will now have to monitor the auto and again change the oil after the next two 1000 miles of driving time. Has any damage to the engine occurred? This will be a wait and see. The Check engine light went off after 5 miles of driving time on the new oil. With all of this said, how can Carmax put in writing that there was " No structural Damage", " "The oil was changed" before purchase and a "complete inspection of the car had occurred" before purchase.

I have lost trust in Carmax after my factual experience. They are in the business to sell cars. But they are surely NOT in the business for Service or Customer Service. As anyone would know it is very important to change the oil every 3000-5000 miles as dirty oil can cause many problems/damage to a vehicle. In closing, What a mistake this was by buying a car from high volume Carmax dealership...

So disappointed in Carmax. Bought a car 3 weeks ago to use as a dingy. Took it to have the tow bar installed and mechanic finds we have no bumper under the plastic bumper. Is this how CarMax does a bumper to bumper check. My husband goes to Carmax and they have an attitude. We now have to pay our mechanic to put the car back together to take to CarMax for them to repair, then take it back to our mechanic and again pay him to take it apart to install the tow bar. UNBELIEVABLE.

I bought a Sequoia 2007 in 2014 and in 2016 I bought a Camry. I decided I wanted to buy a Mustang and a minivan and wanted to trade in my Sequoia. I figured it says $10,000 blue book value and it was already paid for ($18,000). I took back to Carmax of Laurel Md and they said it was worth $4000. I was like, "No way". The guys says, "Have you had an accident?" I said, "No". He says it was in an accident and says, "I can only do $4000," and would not show me the Carfax. I left, went over to Passport Toyota and they said $3000 and they said only because the vehicle was in an accident and the odometer was tampered with. This was a shock to me cause when we purchased the vehicle NONE of this was disclosed to us. So I called Carmax and spoke to a manager I guess from Virginia and he said there was nothing he could do.

I liked dealing with Carmax. The people were friendly, the price was good and everything was great even when I bought my Camry in 2016 and this is the 3rd vehicle and after this experience probably the last. I like honesty when dealing with people and driving off in a vehicle that is supposedly safe for me and my family. So far I've had $3000 worth of work done to it since the first year and now I have to get the engine fixed cause when you give it gas it moves I forgot what you call that. Same thing happened with the Chrysler Pacifica I bought from there. They got us!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Consumer Increased Rating!

I took my car to a dealer for an appraisal and guess what? I received an appraisal of $4,500. Not much better. So Carmax was correct and I owe them an apology on the appraisal. I did sell them a Corolla that appraised much higher. Bottom line - always get a second opinion.

Mark of Chicago, IL on

Original Review

Took my 2010 Prius to Carmax for an appraisal and offer. Was told that the car had frame damage and that the best they could do was $4,000 and that the car would end up at auction. Took it the next day to a very reputable appraisal service used by USAA and I was told that there was nothing wrong with the frame at all.

CARMAX COLUMBUS OHIO - I went to Carmax not really knowing anything about the company except that you see it everywhere. Typically I Google companies/restaurants, etc. and read the reviews and customer experiences. However, I didn't think I had to do that for this. I bought a 2012 FORD EDGE at the Sawmill location and was excited and happy about my purchase as it took some convincing for my husband to agree to an SUV, which I've wanted for a long time. So, I finally got my SUV. The very next day my check engine light comes on. I took it to the Dayton store the moment the light came on and I received the paperwork that they had fixed my car. The very next day the check engine light came on again. It was the weekend so the service department was closed. I emailed the service department so there would be some kind of record of my problem as I was still within my 5 day return policy that they have.

My husband and I took the car back on the 5th day to the Easton store as they had a car I wanted to drive. They ended up allowing me to turn in my car, not too many questions asked. We bought another car, (had to spend 4K more and put more money down to get something even comparable to what I wanted but nonetheless, they took the piece of junk car back). One of the reasons I picked the car I picked was because it had navigation. Come to find out it really didn't because there was no SD card. I asked them to put in writing that they would send me an SD card. I told them I was taking a trip and needed it asap. They received the card the very next day and kindly overnighted me the card with a personal note inside telling me to enjoy my trip and that they appreciate my business.

Needless to say I never received an email back from the Dayton store and I sent four emails. I don't know if it is because she somehow determined I had bought a new car but I expected something from her. I'm pretty nervous now every time I hear or feel something going on with my new car but fingers crossed it's not another piece of junk. I'm very happy with the EASTON store and the service they provided me. I would recommend that Carmax clean their cars before they sell them as there were muddy paw prints all over my windows and it did seem like a small inconvenience that they had to clean the windows for me. When you spend all that money on a new car you do want it to be cleaned/detailed.

Went to Carmax after looking on other lots for the car I was wanting. I had done my homework, and knew what my desired vehicle's options & packages were. The young man who helped us was nice. A few things really turned us off after dealing with them though. First, the said value of my car was x-amount on Kelly Blue book. Wrong - I had checked beforehand & they were 2k less (my vehicle was in mint condition anyway & they agreed). Second their appraisal, Carmax, was also below the Kelly value. Next, we discovered the luxury package they advertised was really a premium package - false advertising - especially when the price doesn't go down for their supposed mistake.

Next, we never could figure out why the rims on their vehicle we drove were rims that were on the base model - when it was really a premium package - though it was even advertised as the luxury package. Once home, we looked on their website to discover they were evidently replacing their vehicles with cheaper rims on premium & luxury models. Where do those rims go!? After our experience we believe they are preying on people who don't know any better. Not a company I want to do business with!

Purchased a 2013 Camry XSE. Price and terms were acceptable. Took delivery and discovered problems with the front suspension. I returned to the dealership within the week, spoke to the "greater" at the entrance. I described my concerns and was advised to continue driving the vehicle. I could bring it back if the issues continued. Since when do issues like this self correct?

Brought the vehicle back and this time I was directed to the service manager. The manager had an employee take me for a ride; his diagnosis was a bad front wheel bearing. I have the experience of working on my own vehicles and this diagnosis is bogus. I brought the car back (again). This time, it is the front shock absorbers/struts. In my opinion shocks and other front-end components do not suddenly fail at 35,000 miles. For a mere 1,200.00 I could get the car repaired. Note that this is the third time I have returned to have these issues addressed, only to be told that the 30-day warranty had expired. I am beginning to believe that this delaying process is designed to circumvent CarMax's responsibility. (Color me dense: the car was still under warranty by Toyota when I first surfaced these concerns.)

Before these issues were resolved through legal actions, the car was totaled. Replaced the Toyota Camry with a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. The salesman, a President's Club member, flat out lied about the fact that this car had in fact been in an accident. The interest rate offered was ridiculously high; I expected the same rate as before. The salesman agreed that this was a sensible position to take. Having reached an agreement, I failed to check the paperwork prior to signing the contract. The rate rose by 2.0%. I spent the next seven days in the hospital, the fraudulent contract was not on the top of my list of concerns. Lucky me! The Sonata was stolen and totaled by the thieves. Need I say that CarMax was not even considered as a supplier. CANNOT BE TRUSTED AT ANY LEVEL!

I purchased a car from Carmax. I felt it was bad when I had to bring my car back within the first week of having for problems with engine and transmission mounts among other things. I kept the car over the years. I have kept up the maintenance of the car. I brought the car in when I needed to. Well I took my car in for issues with lost of power and shifting. They replaced the air compressor which was a problem I didn't know I had but the technician couldn't find a problem by driving the problem. I took my car back with same issue, Carmax replace air compressor for a second time and an engine or transmission mount. Still had problems with shifting and power in the V6 car. Well I stopped worrying about it.

Over time it has gotten worst. Guess what, my warranty ended. Well I reached out to Carmax. They allowed me to bring my car in to be diagnosed. Wouldn't you know, they found the car have internal transmission damage and they actual want me to pay to fix it. I don't think that's fair. Why should I pay because they don't listen to my concerns about a car I was driving daily. Well I do take responsible for not staying on the issue, but I think the right thing for them to do would be to take care of the customer. They let me bring the car in for the diagnose and now they backing away and not owning the wrongdoing.

Poor presentation and customer feedback. Experience was average. The vehicle I purchased smelled like smoke. We purchased late in the evening... Exterior was acceptable! Worst cleaning job ever. We were in a serious car situation and just overlooked this craziness. No follow up! "How is your car running?" None of that!

Worst car buying experience and worst customer service I have ever received from Aaron **, the sales manager. I could absolutely NEVER recommend someone to CarMax after the service they displayed. I found my dream car at your Gastonia location and wanted to test drive it to purchase it but there was a nail in the tire so they had to get it service before the test drive. On Sunday 5/7 I put that vehicle on a 7-day hold that your company offers to do. On Wednesday 5/10 I got a text from Mark saying the vehicle was ready for a test drive- I told him I would be there at 6:30 pm on 5/11 to test drive it & if all goes well I would purchase it (all of this is in writing). I got a text from Mark several hours later advising me to call him and I did - he then told me that they transferred the vehicle that I had on a hold to another location.

I simply asked him when the vehicle would be turned around and back at the Gastonia location since I had it on hold and was ready to purchase it. This is when Aaron stepped in and told me they would not be turning the vehicle around because since there are other people interested in it, they didn't want to put that other customer in the same situation that I was ALREADY in, nor had the other customer even looked at the vehicle yet. I then told Aaron I understand people make mistakes, but how people react to their mistakes is where customer service comes into play. Aaron offered to send me other options of that same vehicle with around the same mileage and price. At this point I told him I didn't know if I could even give CarMax my business after everything that happened but I wanted to think about it and I was still open to options. Aaron sent me several options and I emailed him requesting a transfer for a vehicle in FL.

Days went by and I never heard back from Aaron. This is where I believe CarMax REALLY dropped the ball, I would think at that point Aaron would do whatever he could to earn my business, so after emailing him on 5/9 and still haven't heard a word. There is no chance I will ever give my business to CarMax and I plan spreading the word so nobody else has to go through what I did. As upsetting as it was to see my dream car slip between my hands from a CarMax employee mistake, it was more upsetting to know that nothing was done about it and the employees could seem to care less about the situation that they put me in. Myself, family members & friends all know about this situation and I will continue to spread the word about how awful the service was at this location.

Do not buy from CARMAX!! I wish I read these horrible comments about Carmax before I purchased my vehicle. Their quality must have declined tremendously, I was fooled. I saw 3 cars stopped by Norcross Carmax in Georgia as they drove off on May 8, 2017, but didn't think it was mechanical problem just off the lot on a new purchased vehicles. I went and bought a 2016 Camry that had a high mileage. I drove it out of town the next day and the transmission is shifting like crazy and a funny noise coming on the right side of the engine. I am about to call them but after seeing these reviews, I am losing confidence.

I bought a 2008 with 127,000 mileage. 3 days after I notice a rattle noise in the engine every time that I start the car, I took the car to CarMax and explain them the noise, and they ask me leave the vehicle for repair after 2 weeks in the dealer. I pick up the car and few hour later I notice the problem wasn't fixed they ask me again to drop off the vehicle and promise me to fix it this time and it been another two weeks (a month by now) and they still working in my car. They give me all kind of excuses but this been a nightmare. Definitely I never will make business with them again. First they sold me a broken car (serious engine problem) and second they taking forever to fix it. No doubt they are not honest with customer.

I have to say, that I am not impressed with Carmax's "125 points of inspection". I know I bought a USED car, but... I just bought a Ford Edge on February 19. Only two months ago. The rear interior head liner was sagging, and I asked them to fix it, so they wrote me up a work order to return at any time. Within a week, I noticed a loud squealing coming from the rear brakes. It was obvious to me that the brakes were worn, and that is why they were squealing. I made an appointment, and brought the car in, asking them to *inspect* the brakes. They focused more on the sound I was describing, driving the car around in circles, and could not re-create the sound. They therefore found no fault with the brakes.

They did, however, find that the exhaust was leaking and needed to be repaired... And that the transfer case was also leaking oil and needed to be replaced...! They supposedly ordered the parts and did the work within five days, and told me that the car was ready to be picked up. During the next week, the brake squealing became worse. I returned the car for maintenance, and was as specific as I could be. This time, they were able to "re-create the sound", and upon inspection - which I had asked for the first time - discovered that the brake pads were worn below 3/32 of an inch, and that the rear brake rotors were "severely rust pitted". So they finally fixed the brakes on the car they had sold me three weeks earlier.

I also discovered that the work order to repair the sagging head liner had been canceled, so I reopened it. And they re-ordered the parts. A couple weeks later, I was parked in a friend's driveway, and discovered oil spots. I was embarrassed to say the least! This car was in my possession for less than two months, and was supposed to have been fixed. So for the THIRD time... I made arrangements to bring the car in for maintenance. I ended up arguing with the woman at the desk about the warranty, after she told me I was just under the 60 day limit. I informed her that CT lemon law stipulates that the warranty must be extended for the period of time that the car is in the dealer's possession for repair. She sarcastically disagreed with me, stating that she had worked there 11 years and that I must know more than her.

During the time that it was now in their possession for the THIRD time in less than two months, I was told that the repairs to the transfer case - as well as the exhaust - were NEVER done! In spite of my being told that the car was ready to be picked up during those first repairs. A gasket was simply replaced, instead of the entire transfer case, but the case was still leaking! They also found records that the parts were ordered prior to my purchasing the vehicle!

In other words, Carmax knew about the transfer case leak, and had ordered the parts before I even bought the car, yet allowed me to purchase the vehicle without ever telling me. They were just going to let me drive away with it, without having to do the work. They then lied to me about the repairs that they promised to do, perhaps stalling me until the warranty expired? In all, the car was in their possession approximately 20 days during the first 60 days of my purchase. The first car payment was frustrating to say the least!

I bought a car in February and it has been nothing but problems. They tell me they fix the problem and not even a week later I have the same issue. I keep getting stranded with a special needs baby. That actually had 2 seizures today and missed his Dr appointment because of the piece of crap car they sold me. I travel with my baby out of town so I just pray that next time we don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere. I would give 0 stars if it allowed me. They try to rig the fixes instead of doing it right.

I was told I wouldn't have to wait long to have my car appraisal done, that there was one person ahead of me. I showed up right after I hung up the phone cause I live down the block. When I arrived they told me the wait would be around an hour or more. I left and I called two hours later and was told that there was one person again ahead of me. I came and was told the wait wouldn't be long I've been here for one and a half. They lie to you the whole time you're here. Don't do business with them.

I did a pre-approval on a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro LS. I was accepted the one I wanted. 34k Miles. $18,998. No accidents or any call backs. The price of the vehicle out the door was $20,923. They give me a price, the bank was willing to do $3,500 down & $462 monthly for 60 months. No co-signer. I accepted as that was good enough for me due to that I have basically no credits (first vehicle purchasing under my name). So had the car shipped to my town for free. Went in, the car was fine & good. Light scratches of usage but nothing serious. So sitting down to do paperwork.

I was then to find out the offer I was pre-approved wasn't available. They asked for a $9,000 down. Which I didn't have & couldn't do. I was frustrated because why was I given the other option? Just to lure me into the store? So my mom had decided to try being my co-signer. So got approved to THE FIRST one I was offered! WTF? The $3,500 down & $462 monthly.

So then another issue, they asked for our Social Security CARDS! Not the number, but the actual cards to make a copy for the bank. Which we didn't have on us. So we had to spend 3 days looking for them in our storage room. Luckily I found mine. Found my mother's original too. However it says "not valid for employment." She has a new one that doesn't say that, which makes it valid for employment. But we couldn't find it after searching for hours. So we decided to try going to Carmax to see if they'll allow it, telling them we lost my mom's & it'll take a week or more to get the new one & don't want to lose the car deal. That the card still works for valid proof of number. They said it shouldn't cause any issues & the bank will accept it because they just need the number. So after the papers.

So 2 days after, cleaning around found a letter behind the glove box. It was for the previous owner that turns out the vehicle was in an accident! It didn't say what kind of accident, just a collision but nothing where the car was hit. Tried calling their insurance & the case number but they never answered the call. WTF? Tried again. Still dead. So after getting the car, all excited I already changed all the lights to LED. But that letter was still bothering me because if any engine collision I want a refund or new car. So next day get a call from Carmax to check up if liking the vehicle.

Then 3 days after that (total of 6 after getting car) I get a missed called from them. In the voice message; "The bank had declined to fund for the loan due to my mom's social security card saying "Not valid for employment." So we need the car back & we can try to resubmit a credit application." So tried to also do an auto-loan through my bank, but was declined due to myself not having really any credits. So this whole thing has just become a hassle & so frustrating. If the bank looks up the card, can see in paperwork or background it's valid for work! Why was I pre-approved to the current deal without a co-signer but then wasn't offered the deal when I went to the store? So now have to return the vehicle until either find my mom's new social security card or a new one by mail before the holding date expires!

This car lot ain't **. They are surviving in the business because they knowingly sell lemon to people. They need to be taking out of business. Blow that **. The **. Don't ever, ever, ever go to this car lot. Spread the word. Car didn't make it one block before it starts running hot. He refuses to return money less than 1hour. They ain't ** but scammers, fakes. They lie and ** OVER you. Don't go there.

I am beyond disgusted! What should have been a memorable occasion, turned into a nightmare the minute me and my daughter stepped foot into CarMax in Lithia Springs. It was my daughter's 21st Birthday and she purchased her first car from an over assuring salesperson named Brian. We negotiated a deal, put $4700 (of her hard earned savings) down and drove away with a 2013 Camaro, the car of her dream. Two weeks later the dealership called requesting that she return the car because the Lender's financing fell through. Tragic. That's not the worst part. Yeah it gets worst. We take the car back, (grudgingly of course) sign the necessary papers and await our refund. My daughter is in the lobby crying. I notice boxes of tissues conveniently placed in the lobby, so I give her some and try to console her. Chris (the customer service representative) smiles and tells us the check will be mailed. $4700...

So these crooks expects to keep the car and my daughter's hard earned cash. Mad does not even constitutes how I felt leaving that place. What these car places do to scam people out of their money should be against the law. I will definitely speak to my Legislators to see if a bill can be introduced next Legislation session. Consumers have rights too and I am going to climb the ladder on this one.

I bought an extended warranty with Carmax. When they try to sell you this Maxcare thing they say is the best thing ever. What they don't say is that is a really pain in the back every time you need to take your car to the shop at Carmax, and that you'll pay no matter what because they charge you for diagnostic, if it's something under the warranty you pay the deductible, if not you'll pay for diagnostic. That really sucks! 'Cause if you're not a mechanic, you gonna buy this warranty thinking that you gonna be cover if something happens, but every time that you need to take your car to the dealership they will break your pocket maybe for a simple thing that they fix in 10 minutes but charge you for an hour, around 60 bucks. Last time I took my car with 3 complaints 1 was under warranty and the others 2 was not, so they charged me 120 for diagnostic and 150 on deductible. I will NEVER gonna make business at Carmax.

I went to Carmax and they told me when I sold them my truck I would receive the payment within 2 or 3 days. So 5 days later I still did not receive my payment so I called them up and they said it will take up to 2 weeks to get my payment. I will never go back to Carmax again.

Making it simple for everyone. WBYCEIYDBO! I took a trade in because I was considering buying a vehicle. After the trade in process and the low-ball price I asked them to pull up prices of the same car I was trading it. Make it short they offered me $2,300 on the same car they were selling for $9,600. Take it into your own use for Carmax to be a non-negotiable price as listed. You can find the same car Elsewhere for much less with the same lemon law application of return. Do your homework people. CarMax is not a great company to buy from. All cars last 3 days for breaking down.

CarMax is the worst people to deal with. My deceased mother in law had purchased a jeep SUV sport from CarMax and after three weeks of owning it she had passed. So we called CarMax to figure out what to do with the jeep. So we talk to different people at CarMax from customer service to managers to even the financing dept regarding transferring the loan to a family member so that the vehicle can still be in the family. But all CarMax did is give us a runaround. They keep telling us that it should be a problem and that we will need to talk customer service. Then customer service would say the same thing and tell us to talk to financing dept.

Once speaking with them they did the same thing and told us to talk to someone else. That went on for a month. After all the back and forth CarMax didn't even have any kind of sympathy since my mother passed 3 weeks after purchasing the vehicle and given that she put a 5k down payment. They did not care about our situation. After they gave us runaround for about a month they refused to work with us and told us that they will not transfer the loan to any qualified relative. I would not recommend anybody to buy a car from this shady dealer.

Purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer. Was shown a report showing no accidents. This car also has no exhaust issues of exhaust leaking into the cabin. I had to emergently get rid of the car after 10 months because my family and me were being poisoned by carbon monoxide. We hardly received anything for the car because of the two accidents that were not disclosed and for the exhaust issues. Shame on you Carmax!

Although my sales lady Kenya was awesome and very professional the appraisal for my trade-in was 1500.00. I wanted 3,000. Guy at desk told me dealer fee 200.00 but it's 299.00. I was ready to do the deal but they gave me low ball appraisal so I went across the street to Southeast Car Agency and they gave me 2500.00 right off the bat for my trade in and I bought a car for cash and made Jarrod's day. You blew it Carmax. Will never go back there. That was a ridiculous offer.

Purchasing a car from Carmax was the worst experience of my life. My daughter bought a 2008 Scion TC from Carmax in 2013. I had to co-sign the car for my daughter, due to the fact that she had 1 credit reference, pretty much what they called a ghost file. They told her that the best thing she could do is buy a car from them. Establish credit as long as I co-signed the loan, and in 12 months of timely payments, she could trade it in and buy a car in her own name, and wouldn't need a co-signer. Also she would get a better interest rate because starting out she had to pay 16% due to the fact that she didn't any credit to speak of. My credit was fair, so they charged us 16%. That's not even the issue.

My daughter went back 2 years later after 24 months of one-time payments, to trade her car for a newer one, and they turned her down without a co-signer, LIE #1. I told my daughter to just hang on to it and pay it for a while longer. She agreed, and continued to make on time payments for 42 months. Then she went in to trade her car in, and they wouldn't approve her credit, once again without a co-signer. Being very upset with them. Oh the reason they wouldn't approve her is that they changed their credit policy. Seems like 1 auto account and 1 credit card (in good standing) was not enough credit to, once again, get the loan just in her name. LIE #2. From there we went in search of another vehicle at Hertz car sales in Orlando Florida. She found an SUV Jeep that she liked, and tried to make a trade with them.

They ran a Carfax on the Scion based on the VIN number, and it came back as the car being in an accident before Carmax sold us the car. Carmax said they had no knowledge of that accident. It was clearly stated on the Carfax pulled by Hertz. LIE #3. The book on the car was approximately $5700, but Hertz was only willing to give us $2,000 due to the fact that it was previously in an accident. It was embarrassing because they thought we were trying to pull the wool over their eyes. We had no such knowledge of this accident or we would not have purchased the car initially. My daughter was afraid to drive the car at this point, due to the fact she had a new baby and didn't want to drive the car because she didn't know the extent of the damage and didn't feel safe.

So we went to another dealer, did not trade the damaged Scion, due to the decrease in value. She was able to purchase a jeep there at a good price, in her own name and at a good interest rate, due to her great payment history with 42 months of on time payments through Carmax Financial. We then told Carmax we were turning in the car to them and any negative equity, about $2,800, we would pay it back to them over time. They said no way and demanded us to pay the money upfront for the deficiency. They would not work with us, so I told them to come pick up the car, where it would be and we turned the car over to them with the keys. About a few weeks later, I get a letter saying that they repossessed the car and was selling it at the auction and we would have to pay the deficiency in a lump sum.

I was not able to pay the lump sum, tried once again to work out payment arrangements, and they told me no way, and they were reporting to the credit bureaus that we had the car repossessed, after she made 42 on time payments. They turned it over to collections and keep adding interest and late fees, and now they say we owe them not $2,800, but over $5,000. My daughter and I refused to pay them that ridiculous amount of money. They totally took advantage of my daughter and myself, as co-maker, and set out to destroy both of our credit ratings after 42 on time payments. She was going to school, working, and keeping her payments up. I called an attorney and he told me that I had no recourse, because in the state of Florida when you buy a used car, you buy it as is, and the dealership is not responsible for any issues.

I am a retired Vietnam Veteran, and she and I should not be treated this way, or anyone else for that matter. What a one sided situation we found ourselves in with no recourse. I would think that a company as big as Carmax, and the financial where with all that they have, they would have been more understanding of our situation with the car they sold us, and would do whatever was reasonable to fix the situation and keep us as a customer. But we were wrong. All they wanted to do was to send us down the road and try to destroy our credit. I guess that's why when I googled them up, they had over 500 complaints of poor business practices. This should not happen to anyone in this country. One LIE after another, just to make the almighty $$$.

I worked with the internet person and was made an appt. The car was to be put on hold. I even got a call from them the day before to confirm. When I got there, I had to wait 15 minutes and then was told the car was transported someplace else and was no longer there. I will not deal with CARMAX in Bloomington ever. Very poor customer appreciation and lack of respect for me and my time. Bummer!

Fraud. I bought a vehicle with undisclosed accident frame damage. Would not repair issues, hid extensive damage. Did not follow their policy of 125 point safety checks. Made repairs with all used parts from U-Pull-It.

I'll try to make the story of short as possible. My wife found a Audi alltrack. We called in to verify that it was available, we asked some questions, we locked in the vehicle, we gave them the credit card number, we asked if there was no errors we were sure there were none. Will a short several times if they do have an error they stand by it no matter what went out to eat came back received a text message which I will paste on the bottom here. Will service you then voicemail which I have saved on my voicemail and I have all the screenshots of the car we locked in and how they screwed us.

Spoke with corporate bunch of times they do not care. Spoke with the general manager was trying to lie to me spoke with another sales manager or general manager who said that I was confused. Was my first only and last attempt to ever deal with this company. I promised them that I would leave negative publicity anywhere and everywhere go whenever I have time and this is one of many that I will wherever I run into reviews. I'm just awful lying company.

Carmax Company Profile