Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Carmax

Carmax
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Carmax Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I purchased a 2010 Nissan Titan from the Carmax Store in Hoover Alabama. I want to say that the entire experience was wonderful. Speedy closing process and easy financing. From day one the company has supplied excellent service. I recently traded the truck to purchase a 2019 Jeep Wrangler. Had I not gotten such a good deal elsewhere I most certainly would have used CarMax again to make my purchase. Additionally their extended warranty worked great, never ran into any problems getting them to fix my truck.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I bought a car from Carmax in March of 2018. And I also purchased MaxCare. As of right now in October of 2019 I have used it twice. Received a free loaner vehicle, and had all $700 of my parts and labor covered! I paid nothing out of pocket both visits into the shop. Their plan is comprehensive and upfront. It’s even refundable if needed. Definitely would recommend the dealer and their service plan!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

This month I purchased a 2017 Cadillac X-T5 in red. My experience was extremely positive. In Laurel MD I met Mohammad who has worked with CarMax for 18 years. I've never had a smoother transfer from my 2010 to my newer model. There was never high pressure & their selling approach was top professional. CarMax even delivered a car with new tires. I waited just one week to have my car delivered from upstate New York. It was exactly what I was promised. I want to thank Mohammad & the entire CarFax team. I will be buying again from CarMax.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I’ve bought five cars from the Carmax in Davis, Florida and have never experienced any problem. The salesperson I bought my last four cars from Jeff, was always willing to have a car sent down from another Carmax location and kept me informed and when he thought it would arrive. He was very knowledgeable in every aspect of the car business. Recently I called to have a 2019 Honda Accord sent from Jensen Beach and it arrived three days later. All the employees are friendly and I would highly recommend Carmax to anyone looking to buy a used car.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Although my 2008 BMW 335i has been in the shop more times than I can count. I am happy I chose the MaxCare plan. On second thought I wish I would of chose the longest extended warranty. I just paid 450$ for a oil leak that was "fixed" before? How does that work? And the only reason is because they replaced my front shocks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I went to Carmax and found 2 cars that were in my price range and what I was looking for, I was treated very well by the staff and on the 20 of July I signed the papers and drove off with my 2010 Mazda 3, they however did not offer gap insurance on my car but ok. I brought it in a couple of times as for some minor work and was very pleased on how I was treated by the service staff.

On the 21 of August before even making one payment I was hit head on and my car was totaled. I contacted carmax financial and let them know what had happened. The I Sundance adjuster said my car was blue book valued at like 7 thousand dollars and that was what was paid to carmax and I have been making payments on this car that I found out I was overcharged but my bad for not doing my homework. I have gone back to carmax and to other dealers trying to get a car but the banks want either a trade in and a pay out. I am baffled by the lack of sympathy or help. I would get another car for carmax but they won't even help so let me pay for a car that I don't have and have me taking Uber to work and back. Why not help someone like me is just plain stupid.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I had to dig really hard to even pull one star for this outfit. Although they have some nice vehicles and you can find pretty much what you are looking for online. I found a vehicle in another state, and had an associate in that city look at it for me. Made arrangements to hold vehicle, which they forgot to do, and I am glad I called to check on it. Anyway paid to have it shipped. Told me it would be 4 or 5 days, it was 12 or 13. When it arrived, it had major scratches in the door, so they try to buff out and ended up burning the paint so that both passenger side doors had to be painted. In addition, a body part fell off the car, (headlight washer door) and on inspection I found that there were 5 clips that hold the inner fender well were missing.

My vehicle is in the shop as we speak. They tell me it will be ready tomorrow. I will be checking these repairs very closely as I have issues with trust at this point. Most disturbing is that I did not like the tires that were on the vehicle. Very bad reviews for wet road conditions and it rains a lot in Florida. I asked if they could do a tire swap and was told that my Florida contact would do that for me. My Florida contact said he did it himself when he bought a car so not a problem. Agreement was made I select tires, (I got this in writing) which I did and was told they would be sold to me at cost, mounted and balanced at no charge. In question are the tires they removed, which although an off brand were brand new and told they would be returned to me. I am now being told they were disposed of and I am having a really hard time believing that.

I have asked for compensation because the car is titled to me and the tires also belong to me. I was told in other terms to go pound sand. This brings me back to my opening warning to get EVERYTHING in writing when dealing with CARMAX because they seem to forget things they tell you, and are only focused on making a sale. I am sure that I will get stiffed on the tires and they went out the door on somebody's arm at my expense. This will be my last experience at CARMAX for sure.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I truly hate having to give a negative review on any one Company but this one Company (Carmax) really seriously deserves it. To begin my journey at Carmax on the first day ever when I first walked in, I test drove 5 cars I was interested in. Out of the 5 cars I drove that day, 4 cars were in need of desperate repair. One car would not start even when jumped by the salesman. This car was a 2018 Lincoln Navigator priced at $34,500 and would not even make a sound when being jumped. The second car that I test drove was a 2018 GORGEOUS! Honda Accord. The car truly was stunning but the WORST was just about to let itself be known! The Automatic transmission was not engaging in third gear and we had to pull over and turn around and drive 10 miles per hour to get back to Carmax.

Well, to make a long story short. I did purchase a 2017 Limited Kia Sorento at $27,300 only because my Wife begged me to,,,, she said their Customer service was excellent (she was correct about that) but the cars they were selling were poorly selected by their buyers. The Kia Sorento has had more service than all of my cars put together in the past 28 years. Their SLOGAN in the commercials says "We buy cars,,, WE BUY ALL THE CARS" and they truly are not exaggerating,,, they buy any and ALL THE CARS, only If they can make $6000 to $9000 thousand dollars on one purchase from what I heard.

If you're thinking about Carmax as a possible choice, please look elsewhere or at least pay a license mechanic to inspect the car or truck your interested in from Carmax. Shop around and you'll notice that they are the HIGHEST priced dealership anywhere. To make matters worse, the HIGHEST priced and with the absolute worst mechanically conditioned automobiles around. Save yourself the HUGE expense and time of visiting repair garages time and time again to keep your Carmax purchase running!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

After filing online application for a loan and getting approved 2 times confirming all was in order and all had to do was go to store, review the car, pay dep and take delivery. I did that only to be confronted by so called manager who was rude. Jason his name since 2009 at Carmax Doral and told now they want to switch to a new company and wanted 22% interest on a 2017 car.. I GUESS AS THE NAME IMPLIES PAY THE MAX AT CARMAX. Never again. Worst BAIT AND SWITCH LYING company ever/someone needs to suit them. I'm sure a class action against these tactics will yield multiple client. It's fraud to trick someone to come in on a promise then to try to switch them at the last minute. Did not work with me. Not to mention the car was $2000 more than others similar year and condition.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I purchased a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T just after Christmas and with two weeks we almost ruined the engine. The store gave us the car with a loose engine oil cap. We have oil everywhere under the hood and it will require some cleaning. Thankfully the car still runs and we didn’t drive it without oil once we noticed the leaks from where we were parking the car. Let’s see if the store does the right thing in 1) replacing a part under the hood that is filthy with oil, 2) degreased everything under the hood, 3) address all the expenses related to this mishap. I’ve already been given the bad news by someone at the store that my insurance would not cover a loaner vehicle. It’s my expectation that the store would own up to this quality control issue and get the car cleaned and restore, not to mention address the inconvenience this situation has caused; both in loss of time and money. I look forward to posting an update on how they respond to the situation.

CarMax expert review by Tom Rains

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carmax Company Information