Find a Car Dealerships partner

Carmax

3.7/5 (342 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Carmax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: May 25, 2021

So I want to start off by saying that I researched CarMax, and other online car dealers 4 months before I made the decision to finally purchase. I read a lot of reviews that were very disheartening, and made me question whether or not my decision was sound. In the end I chose CarMax simply because the amount of negative reviews in recent history was much lower than those of their competitors. Finding the car on their website or in the app is fairly simple, and securing a transfer was all so simple. My transfer was free, that way I did not have to pay anything out of pocket to be able to see the vehicle that I wanted.

Once they had the vehicle it was about 6 days until I was able to view the vehicle and test drive it. During that time they again inspect the vehicle and clean the vehicle, making sure that it's ready. When I got to the dealership, my vehicle was still a little dirty, and I voiced my opinion that to the salesperson that I had and he offered to try and take care of the problem to the best of their ability. I've had the car for over a week now, and I'm very happy with my purchase from CarMax. Everything has been smooth, and the vehicle is just as promised on the website. There were a couple of digital scratches that were not pictured in the app, but they are not enough for me to be unhappy. I will keep it is updated if there happens to be any pickups, but as of right now I am definitely recommending CarMax as a place to shop and buy a used car.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I was hesitant at first but Carmax gave me $2000 more for my trade than I was hoping for. I bought an Audi Q5 but it just wasn't me. It is a beating car. I took Carmax up on their offer of 1500 miles or 30 days to return the vehicle. I found a Mercedes-Benz SUV that I fell in love with. So, I returned the Audi. Bought the Mercedes-Benz. Then I took them up on the 3 day offer of switching financing companies. I was able to come up with the down payment that the bank wanted. Overall simply by changing my apr by approximately 4 to 5 points changed my payment by a hundred dollars. Throughout the entire process everyone was great. I would recommend this company.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2021

We were looking to upgrade one of our current vehicles with a newer and more luxurious car. As the car we were looking to get rid of was a sedan that is what we decided to look for. Not fully understanding Carmax we let a very nice Cadillac get by us by not having it shipped to the Reno Carmax store. After researching Carmax more we spotted a Lincoln Continental in California that would be shipped to Reno for no charge and a test drive. After a paperwork glitch we were able to arrange a test drive and I really liked the car but it was a little more than I wanted to pay.

Well after attempting to get the price lowered to no no avail we decided this was the car for us and we traded our Buick in and purchased the Lincoln. Which, by the way was our first Ford product in more than 25 years. Overall we are pleased with the Car and Carmax. Will definitely look to them next time we are in the market for a car.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Shout out to LJ. He's the salesman that helped me buy my 2018 Audi Q5 on 2/26/2021. I traded in my old car and had several delays in the process on my end including a phone that wouldn't stay charged. Not only did LJ help me buy my car, he stayed patient and cheerful throughout the time. He also found a way for me to charge my phone so I could make the right calls and send him the required documents that I needed to buy my car. Even though the process took a while to complete I would definitely recommend LJ for his professionalism, problem solving, and attention to detail.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Travis ** is the most amazing sales person at Carmax in Dayton, Ohio! When I arrived at the Dayton CarMax Travis looked clean and professional and greeted me with a smile. I went in on a miserable cold winter evening not knowing what kind of car I wanted. Travis walked the entire HUGE lot with me, happy to let me sit in every car I asked about. He was very knowledgeable and we were quickly able to narrow my search. He's got a great memory so he helped me remember what I liked and didn't like. Over several weeks he located various vehicles for me, had them transferred, and set me up for 24 hour test drives. I am very picky and Travis had extreme patience. Travis always promptly returned my texts, phone calls, and emails. Travis always made sure the vehicles I wanted to see were clean and warmed up when I arrived for my scheduled pick up time.

When I wanted to compare a Lexus RX 350 base trim to an F Sport, Travis went above and beyond and had them both cleaned and parked side by side for me to easily compare the two trims. Travis is not the typical pushy/annoying car sales person. Travis is easy to work with and truly listens to his clients. I am delighted with my car shopping experience with Travis ** at the Car Max in Dayton, Ohio! If you are shopping for a vehicle, it's worth your drive to the Dayton, Ohio Car Max to have the pleasure of working with Travis **. -Susan C. Springboro, Ohio

Original review: June 19, 2021

Purchased a 2016 Mercedes 16 months ago for $ 52,000 with 14,577 miles on it, it now has 19,000 miles. Promised a owners manual and never received. Requested service right after purchase and was told no mechanic on duty. All that I just forgot about, now I have trouble with a tire and cant get the wheel off my car because they didn't give me any wheel locks. I think their professionalism is lacking. If I damage the wheels when having removed I am going to send them the bill.

Original review: June 15, 2021

BEWARE! I bought a used Subaru Forester from Carmax in Riverside and after 6 months the car completely died. The cost to fix it was almost the cost to buy and the mechanic said the problems were most likely there when I bought the car. I bought MaxCare but had to cancel it in February due to no job/Covid. I begged Hassan to extend the warranty (which I know they've done in the past for people) and they said they couldn't help me and to try Carmax Financing. I called Carmax Financing and they said the only thing I could do was ask for them to extend the Carmax Warranty. She didn't see a reason why they couldn't do that due to Covid and everything so she put me on hold and called the Riverside Carmax. She was talking to them for 20 minutes before coming back and saying they wouldn't budge. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS BUSINESS. YOU WILL REGRET IT - LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Original review: June 14, 2021

Although purchasing a car online sounds convenient and hassle free in theory it's not working for Carmax in practice. They run your credit report, give you some 'next step' info but then drop the ball and you never hear from them again. Not good when you're messing with people's credit reports. When there is an inquiry on your credit time is of the essence!! Nothing is done in a timely fashion. It's a long dragged out process and the bank expects you to get insurance on a car you never even seen nevermind don't even actually have!

The advertisement is misleading. They do not actually bring you the car like they say (and I was told). They will only bring it if it's 60 miles WITHIN YOUR STATE. And forget getting someone to help. Took me 3 attempts! Do not buy a car online unless you want to do most of the leg work and have time to waste and don't need a car right away! After all this they have a nerve to charge a transfer fee! It should've been waived along with putting a rush on getting the car to my state, but they make no compromises for your troubles and INCONVENIENCE!

Original review: June 13, 2021

I was extremely pleased with my interaction with CarMax. Received offer online for sale of my vehicle. Went to CarMax location to retrieve offer. I was very honest regarding condition of my vehicle. Even though, I was expecting to get a lower offer after car was inspected. I was very pleasantly surprised when this did not happen. They honored the full amount of the offer, no questions asked. I was on my way in under an hour with check in hand. I highly recommend CarMax.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Carmax was suppose to be a well-known place to buy cars and all you get are lies, lies and more lies. Their drop off program do not work. They don't know how to explain details of what the finance company wants, nor do they communicate with you when it's appropriate. I'm buying a car and no one calls me until afternoon. Yesterday, it was critically urgent, today, we don't care. Carmax from Irving, Texas employees are incompetent and lazy. They cannot seem to get it all together and require 4 people just to sell a car to one person. Very incompetent.

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Carmax Company Information