1.17/5
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

678 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 6, 2018

We purchased a Nissan Maxima through Carmax, the first one we had the timing chain went out on it, they stepped up as sold us a lemon and we picked another Maxima. Only to find the issues are worse and worse and worse. Service is **. (excuse my French). There is a service advisor at Carmax in Tolleson Arizona named Mike. Guy is highly unprofessional, disrespectful and doesn't know when to watch his mouth. We brought our car in to have a timing chain issue inspected. Two mechanics have told us the timing chain is going out and causing noises. The car is still under warranty so we took this to Carmax. Mike and the mechanic refused to check to see if this was the issue. The check engine light was also on, they never ran for a code to see what it was, they immediately cleared it out so it is unknown.

Some wonder the frustration right? Well we had the car in the shop back in December and January because of these issues (December and January that's twice) and this being the third time. They can't get the job done, they want to do what they want to do and not what the customer wants. It is business I get that, but refusal to check and see, a joke. Two different mechanics have said timing chain, two separate shops and one happened to be a Nissan Dealership. Carmax refused to even inspect it. They did however put us into a rental car, 7 days. They kept the car and parked it and never once called to tell us the car was ready. Sat for almost two days, therefore they did not pay the full 7 days of the rental. (Communication is hell, extremely unprofessional, we called and they never returned our calls) If you have an opportunity, do not use this dealership. Waste of time, money, and your life.

Original review: June 2, 2018

After our experience last year (see below), I was cautious giving Carmax another chance. But, I am in the market for a used car for myself and they, unfortunately, have the best selection. I started the process a couple of weeks ago while I waited on my bonus and asked for a vehicle to be brought over to test drive. I was contacted by John, who received my inquiry via their web page. He got the car scheduled to transfer (which took quite a long time for being so close...but that may be logistics). While transferring, I went into the Dayton store to look at some other vehicles. I went in without notification and was not surprised the John was with another customer, so they put me with another employee. Fine, no worries, I didn't tell him I would be in.

I drove a couple of cars and then left, noting that I would be back that weekend. Again, no set time, so he was unavailable, no biggie, I tested a couple more. The next time, I did tell him I would be in about 7 on a Friday. I had also requested another vehicle. I called later that week because I had not heard about the transfer, where he told me that he had not seen it and would get it processed (I don't know how he could have missed it). I told him I was coming in Friday with my wife to look again and get her opinion. Surprise, busy. Now I am with the third person (whom always go through the same script, "what kind of car are you looking for, blah, blah, blah). Do they not add this to my profile? Do they need to keep asking? Well, the test drive went okay, but again, no John.

This happened the next two times, always with different people. Finally, the other car was in and I told Victoria (his second) that I would be in at 10 am Saturday (6/2). I go in and, guess what...no John (he was on a charity walk) and no Victoria. In the meantime, the guy at the front desk saw John coming in and said he would let him know I was there. I told him I would be in the lot browsing and to have him meet me there or call. At 10:45, I had had enough. I went back in and John was sitting with other customers, I guess appointments mean little to the Dayton store and of course still no Victoria. I told the desk guy I wanted to speak to a manager, and he said he was one. I informed him of my extreme dissatisfaction with the process (it mirrored last year) and told him that corporate WILL hear of this and I would go down to the Cincinnati store (40 min out of my way). Monday, I will make sure they do.

With the prices they charge I expect a few things in return from Carmax: Clean mechanically sound cars, a clean showroom, and exceptional customer service. The customer service at Dayton is not even mediocre, The Cincinnati store was the exact opposite as far as service. IF, and that is a very big IF I end up buying a car again from Carmax, it will be because of the Cincinnati store. I will be talking to corporate, and you better believe that I will go out of my way to warn others looking for cars in Dayton to stay away from Carmax, Dayton.

Up until today, I have had a good experience with Carmax. I bought my Genesis from them and could not be happier. However, our experience this time while shopping for a car or SUV for my wife has been less than acceptable. I had them bring a Kia Optima EX up from Cincinnati to test drive. It went fine, though I have worked with three different people now, but it was fine except for a seat heater that was not working. I requested on their website, later that night, for a Murano to be brought over from Louisville as the one they had was a base model. I received a call today from one of the three people we have talked to that 'management' was balking at having it brought over. We've had one other car brought...from 35 miles away...and it's their policy all over the website that they will do this, with no commitment. IT’S ON THEIR WEBSITE AS A POLICY.

They, according to the caller, say we've drive too many varied cars (it's my prerogative to find what we like, correct?) and even apparently thought I had asked for those cars to be transferred (they were on the lot, and it shouldn't matter it's their policy, with a happy freaking face). So, in summary, it does not matter how many cars/SUV's we've driven, it should not matter we asked for two from close Carmax dealers to be transferred, it should not matter if we are looking at cars AND SUV's. What matters is they have a corporate policy, they need to stick to it. If I had asked for my 5th car to be transferred, sure, that seems excessive (though not against their policy), I didn't...just two. Will I buy now? Maybe, but they will need to win my business back.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2018

What this country needs is a honest dealer and it's not Carmax. When I got this truck it was advertised with certain equipment and when I got it home and checked it was not what they said. I can remember when my dad said, "Honesty is the best policy."

Original review: May 11, 2018

Carmax is definitely a scam. Sold me a service contract I could never use. Explained that the contract was misrepresented and the service representative basically laughed and said "yes unfortunately we did". The car has never worked properly. They just rigged it up which I discovered later. Horrible customer service!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have purchased three vehicles from CarMax. All three vehicles were deficient in maintenance which CarMax will not fix. CarMax does not ensure that any of their vehicles are up-to-date in maintenance. This will cost you $$ in addition to what you paid CarMax. Also be very aware that any work they perform is not using vehicle OEM parts, they will use generic aftermarket parts to fix any vehicle issues. I bought a 2013 Infiniti G37 with almost 40k miles and in addition to the 30k maintenance not being performed, the vehicle had a brand new set of tires which I had never heard of, certainly not recommended for an Infiniti vehicle. CarMax will do the bare minimum to prep the vehicle and sell it. I do NOT recommend CarMax to anyone looking to buy a used vehicle. BUYER BEWARE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: May 11, 2018

The worst car buying experience I ever had. It took a week to get my car. On top of that the day I was supposed to come and get it supposedly the registry went down. What are the odds. Plus I'm paying double for the car or was 16,000. At the end of financing 32,000 if that's not a rip off.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We recently bought a car at Carmax. We have nothing but the worst experience with them in less than 30 days. We purchase our car on 4/5/18 and has been in the shop for 2 different times. It all started when we bought the car and there was a noise in the breaks. The salesman told us that because the car had been sitting in the lot for a while the noise will disappear in a few days Which it never did. I took the car on the fifth day where we ask to return the car and they automatically send me to the service place to check the car. They wanted a opportunity to check the car which they did and I was carless for a day. The next day they call me to pick up the car. They said they order new parts for the breaks and it might still make noise.

I took the car and once again the noise in the breaks got worst. I drove the car for about 2 weeks and again noise did not go away. I wanted to be fair with the situation but then we had another issue going on with the switch to start your car was not working. After multiple times the car will not start. I have a video where it shows proof of what I had to go through every time I turn on the car. I went back to Carmax to express my concerns. The only response I got from the manager, "You have to understand this car is use and you get apples for apples." I feel discouraged after our conversation I felt she was only giving me excuses. She has been by the worst person to work with. So after I took back once again the car. They let me borrow a loaner for 4 days! As you can understand my frustration of buying a car and having to use another that is not yours. Yes we try to pursued to appraisal the car which was $1000 less for 30 days.

We didn’t move forward after we realize we were going to lose our downpayment, pay an extra $1600 and give another payment which was ridiculous. To top it off my credit score went down with the first purchase, which they still rerun my credit again. My monthly payment would have been $100 dollars more. Completely understand the car was $2000 more. After we notify them we were getting the other vehicle and we were staying with the car. It took them an hour and 15 different employees to find our keys. Once the car keys were found and we turn on the car we found out once again the breaks were still making loud noise. At this point I will never be taking this car back to the service team. Worst experience with the staff and service team. Will never recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I purchased a used vehicle from Carmax in August 2017 at the White Marsh, MD location. One of the first questions I had asked was if the car was in an accident previously. The salesperson, Kendra ** assured me that it was not. She then touted the low apr financing that Carmax offers, including an offer as low as in the 2%. I had already received financing from Bank of America before I got there, but was intrigued because she kept stating the 2% rate that Carmax offers - it beat the 3.99% rate BofA offered. So I went through and received an estimate for Carmax financing. I got the results back: 14% they said. When I showed my surprise at being quoted such a high figure, Kendra began laughing, as if I should have known better and I fell for her joke. I was incredibly irritated but at this point, was desperate for a car so I went through with the purchase.

Four months later, a family friend offered a deal on a brand new Honda Civic that I couldn't turn down. I went to trade in the piece of junk from Carmax (which, it turns out, was truly a piece of junk), only to be quoted a low buyer price because it had been in an accident! The person inspecting the car said it's very obvious to a car salesman that it was in an accident as the paint job to cover it is shoddy and the damage on the inside is very noticeable. He also told me it was straight up highway robbery what they sold the car to me for. So Kendra had lied to my face saying that the car had never been in an accident, and Carmax needlessly jacked up the price of this vehicle to a trusting customer.

Needless to say, after this experience, I have been telling my family, friends, colleagues, strangers, my grocery store clerk, anyone, about my horrendous Carmax experience and to never trust this conniving company ever. Also, I drive a brand new Honda Civic now. TL;DR: Do not go to Carmax for anything other than to be laughed at your expense and to be swindled out of your hard earned money.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I went to Carmax with my grandson to buy a car, he decided to purchase a Ford 2011 Mustang, he had a fix it slip to get his windshield fix and a noise was coming from the back brakes. Carmax never took care of the items, the windshield was chipped in the front of the car, and until this day it has not been taken care of. Call several times to the maintenance department. They continue to tell him they are waiting on a new one to come in, I find this action very deceitful and horrible, and not good customer service, I am thinking to sue them in court because I was there when they sold him the car and have witnessed more than one.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My husband I and two boys have been searching for a family vehicle to upgrade to for quite some time. We landed on a sweet Nissan Pathfinder at the Greenville CarMax in South Carolina. It had all the bells and whistles for half the price new. It was a 2015 with 67K. We test drove it with the stereo off for a brief ride around "The same loop we test drive our vehicles on." (their words) and arrived back at the dealer lot. We gave it a thorough once over and noticed 1 new tire and 3 worn tires "That meet their quality standards." (their words again). We were very pleased and excited about having a brand new, barely used vehicle only 2 yrs. old that we thought would last us until we drove it into the ground. Upon return to the mountains in Asheville I notice a little jerking when coasting downhill immediately. I thought maybe it was the tires or the road, WRONG. It was the CVT transmission.

My husband drove the car around town the following day and experienced severe knocking, jerking and slipping of the transmission immediately. We then began to research the Nissan Pathfinder to discover lawsuits and multiple transmission replacements in many versions of their vehicles, only for the replacement transmission to completely fail again as soon as 20,000 miles. We immediately were LET DOWN. The car of our dreams was too good to be true. Customer service was good over the phone. The return part was easy as we brought it back on the 3rd day. Just signed a piece of paper and gave back the keys. I'll get my down payment back via check in the mail. Complete lack of a quality inspection into the vehicle. Their test drive around that little loop wasn't enough for the person selling it to Carmax to get caught selling them a vehicle I'm sure they knew had a bad transmission. Without a dealer code, how are they to know?

What pissed me off the most is the sales manager after I told him he should take the car to the dealer and have them check the transmission. I told him it was apparent, and he said, "Well sometimes people think there is a problem with the transmission when there isn't one." Yeah buddy, we just think we felt jerking, slipping of the gears, a revving engine and wiggling while slowly pressing on the accelerator. I'm not keeping a $25,000 lemon. I will continue my search elsewhere.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought my car in November of 2016. When I got the vehicle, my wiper blades were old and the back hatch electronic windshield wiper to this day has NEVER worked and this was supposed to be a certified pre-owned vehicle. After the initial 5 days of having my car things started going wrong within the 1st 30-days it broke down on me, long story short, the car was in the shop a total of 3 times just the first 30-days of having it, I was sold a lemon and the dealer did not care and would not give me any kind of deal on getting into another because clearly it was bad business.

Further down the road, I have extended warranty which I paid extra for, I have already had to go out and pay 250 deductible once to have the car repaired, I have a tedious hassle to get a rental until I finally complained enough to the Katy location. The manager was nice enough to give me a loaner. I am a single, hard working mother and don't feel I deserve the bad business deal I got through CARMAX. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My advice for those who would like to purchase car at Carmax. When I purchased my car in 01/29/18 Lexus IS 250, the sales consultant was in hurry and by the time I finished talking to insurance it was already dark. I did not get to drive or test drive the car because when I arrived to Carmax it was already 6 almost 7. The sales consultant was a little rude, she seemed nervous like she was rushing to get things done. Little did I know that this car has a few issues - first the tires was not balance and air pressure for the two front was way off, something underneath the car like alignment that cause the car to shake a little bit, headlights was off and on, navigation was defective. I called Carmax and address them these issues. They said it's fine, bring it back to them and they will take a look at it. I took my car to Carmax on 02/16/18 and I did not get my car back until 03/14/16. Almost 1 month.

They did fixed the tires, rotate the tires to balance out, replaced new headlights, new rims (the car no longer shaking), they replaced new navigation. However, when I took the car back home, navigation menu doesn't work so I had to call them again. I told them the navigation menu button doesn't work and it needs to be fixed. I took it to them for the 3 times and they said the new vendor will order a new menu button to replace it. I took the car back home, I noticed some white dots spot on the side of my car, on top of the car and on top of the back trunk. Called them immediately to report the problem. They said bring back to get it check.

I also found out that when the vendor that fixed my navigation did not do a good job because when they replace with the radio/navigation there is gap in between like the navigation doesn't perfectly fit like it was before. I told them it was not like this before and they said because of the clip that couldn't hold onto it. I told them it was not my job, it's their job to make sure it clip and fit without gap. As angry and frustrated as I am, I am sick and tired to keep taking my car back and forth because they didn't do a good job fixing my car. The headlight still have issue and navigation doesn't look like it was before. I am not responsible for this damage and I hope you CARMAX will do something to fix this problem.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Around March 2017, I purchased a 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S. At the time of purchase I was informed that the tires on the vehicle is OEM run flat as it is required by the car manufacturer. Around March 2018 this year, the rear tires made a significant amount of tire noise. At this moment I attempted to get the two rear tires replaced at a COSTCO tire service department. On my discovery, I was informed by the COSTCO tire department that they're only allowed by OEM standards to replace my tires with OEM run flat tires. However, after inspection of my tires, the COSTCO tire service department stated that the CARMAX dealer improperly installed wrong type of tires or "non-OEM non-run flat" technology tires.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I purchased a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 on Saturday 3/24/2018. Monday 3/26/2018 after only driving a total of 300 miles the check engine light came on. Troubleshooting indicated a vacuum leak. I called Carmax Memphis TN service department explained my situation asking for immediate assistance since I had only just purchased the vehicle which Carmax said was one of their certified vehicles. They said I would have to make an appointment to bring it in but they didn't know when they could get to it. They didn't offer any hope of getting my vehicle back within the next week or two. I haggled back and forth with them asking not to put me at the back of the line but they would make no promise.

I took it in Wednesday 3/28/2018. It sat all day, and no one called me with any update though they promised they would. The next day I called them, and they couldn't tell me anything but did call me back and said it would have to be taken to the local Dodge dealer for repair. They didn't know when that would happen. I called back Friday morning after I had not heard anything, and they still didn't know anything but said they would call and get back with me. They called me back to say it might get put in the Dealer's service department that afternoon to check it out. They promised to call me back, but did not and have not so far.

I've read many complaints about Carmax in general and the Memphis store especially, and noted several posted with the same or very similar issue as I am having with Carmax of Memphis. I received my notice from Carmax Financing of my first payment coming due in a month and I am wondering if I will even have my vehicle back or a satisfactory resolution to my complaint by then? Take my advice. DON'T buy from Carmax especially if you're expecting service after the sale. They focus on selling you a vehicle and getting you off their lot, but don't call with a problem or need immediate service. It WON'T happen!

Original review: March 21, 2018

Relocated from N.Y. to S.C. (Sept '15). CarMax did not pay me enough for a Lexus I sold, not by my choice. Have PTSD+other issues & now realized how much $ I lost. Need new car. Will never go back there.

Original review: March 20, 2018

DO NOT fill out an application through Carmax unless you are desperate with your credit. They failed to disclose they run your credit through ALL 10-15 of their affiliates. I did not go through Carmax because they gave me a scam of a quote then continued hitting my credit after I declined their offer TWELVE times. My credit went from a 744 to a ** 602. I repeat IT'S A GIANT ** SCAM. AVOID.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I recently purchase a car from CarMax on Sahara on 2/24. That following Monday 2/26, the check engine light came on. I took the car in to get serviced 2/27, I was told it would be fixed by the weekend. I was called Friday 3/2 and was told the car parts took longer than expected to come in, so it wouldn't be ready until that Monday. Monday 3/5 I was called and was told that another issue appeared to be wrong with the car, and because I was under the 5 day return policy, seeing that the policy was put on "hold" while the car was being serviced, I had the option of returning the car. I returned the car Tuesday 3/6.

The return agreement stated I would have my down payment returned, (which I have not yet received), and that the car loan would be returned to the loan company and that the loan would not appear on my credit report. 3/9, I went to a different dealership and I was not able to get a new car because there was an open auto loan account from the auto loan company through CarMax, even though CarMax stated it would not be... I called CarMax and the loan company American Credit Acceptance (ACA) and was constantly going around in circles with them, calling back and forth, being put on hold for hours, and the loan still appears on my credit. I tried to get a payoff letter saying that the loan was returned and I owe a $0 balance, but I was not able to receive one for some unknown reason.

I returned the car 3/6, it is now 3/15 and I have been without a car since I returned the car to CarMax. I have Sickle Cell Disease and Junior Rheumatoid Arthritis, I have doctor appointments to go to, I have to go to the pharmacy to pick up medications, etc... I have been using Lyft/Uber for transportation seeing that I am not able to walk long distances to ride the bus. I am a long-term substitute, I work with pre-k autistic children and I'm a college student. I desperately need a car to get to and from work and to run my errands. CarMax has been no help whatsoever! And they created a giant mess for me! I am highly displeased and irritated.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I wished to purchase a car, but when they did trade in value it was ridiculously low. They also gave me Kelley Blue Book and it was falsified. I put my VIN number in myself and selected the worst Car options available and even that was significantly higher. In addition, the salesman skimmed through the car facts very quickly, and we had to ask multiple times for him to scroll back. In doing this we found that the vehicle had a recall on the airbags, which he was going to fail to mention. In addition, I called them out on the Kelley Blue Book discrepancy and they became very defensive and started attempting to hurry us out the door. There is no integrity with this company, at least not at the Daytona Beach FL store.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I cannot begin to describe my anger and disappointment at CarMax, in Roseville, California. On their website, they had the exact car I'd been looking for-a 2012 Ford Fusion Sport, with only 3K advertised miles. They were asking high blue book plus, but with such few miles, I was more than willing to pay a lot more. When I called to verify the miles, they said yes, that was the original miles. Having bought a car two years ago from the same dealership, I felt good about the car. I drove about 70 miles, one way, with every intention of buying the car. I had a certified check for about 30% of the down payment with a credit score of 818. When I arrived to look at the car, it had 29,000 miles on the odometer.

I pointed out the discrepancy to my salesperson. I told her that I did not want to pay their asking price given the fact that the car had over 25,000 more miles than advertised. She asked me to wait and she would speak with the manager. After about 20 minutes, the manager came over and told me there was nothing he could do. He told me that once their cars are priced, it cannot be changed. He also said that the website was mistaken, but the sticker in the window was correct. I told him that because I live out of town, the only access I had to their car was the website. He never once apologized, but kept insisting it was a simple mistake. After expressing my frustration, he just kept repeating there was nothing he could do. Not once, did he ever ask me what he could to sell me the car; he could care less.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have been a customer of Carmax with oil changes and repairs. However, in January I had my brakes done. A few days later my car died on the road, had it towed and was told it was my electronic module & ignition coil. Of course, had it fixed. Next day car wouldn't start. Had it towed. Told the ignition coil broke but now my car needed a crankshaft position sensor. Of course, I was an unbeliever but had no choice but accept it and had it fixed. Next day my check engine light goes on. However I took it to AutoZone for a diagnosis and it was an exhaust leak at downstream oxygen sensor. With all that happened at Carmax I took it somewhere else to get it repaired. Prior to getting my brakes done, I had no issues with my car shaking, or anything else. I will NOT take my car to Carmax anymore.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I will never use Carmax to buy a vehicle. I walked in to sell my vehicle and walked away feeling distrust for Carmax. The sales rep asked what I thought my vehicle was worth, took that number and used it to low-ball me. What a low down dirty game these people play. Instead of giving me an honest value for my vehicle, they took my number and offered $50 less. The manager was willing to lose a future customer over $50. The manager completely blasted Kelly book price to have zero merit. I will do my best to tell all friends and associates and any seller listening, please stay away from the Carmax in Naperville, IL.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Went into CarMax with all my paperwork needed. Once there I was ready to do business had had my check from the bank for downpayment and a smile on my face. One of my papers was wrong from my company and I was told we choose not to do business with you. I called the next day with the owner of my work to fix this and was told that there was nothing I could do. At this point I was told ALL CARMAX dealers would never sell me a car. Never in my life have I ever been talked to like this. My family will never do business with CarMax.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I will never step foot into another car dealership. My Carmax buying experience was painless and the easiest I have ever experienced. From my sales representative Pete to Chanelle in the service department I will definitely recommend Carmax.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

In Sept 2016, I purchased a 2011 BMW X3 with an extended warranty from Riverside, CA. I was told to bring the car back the following week for cosmetic repairs/ issues. When I picked up the car, all of the work was not completed. Second, within 4 days, I returned the car for a mechanical issue (seemed like it was misfiring). I recall them replacing the spark plugs. The problem returned, but this time I took it to the dealer for service. That particular problem was solved, but I have had nothing but problems with the car. Within the past three months alone, the car has been in for service 3 times. The car clearly had problems beforehand. My warranty has a 500 deductible and some of the repairs are not covered. Now, I am told the battery is draining for an unknown reason that will cost me even more money to determine the origin, which is not covered by my warranty. I recommend going to the dealer and purchasing a certified used luxury car.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I wanted to share my experience with whoever reads these because I believe in sharing and telling good things when good things happen! I began my search for a new car 2 weeks ago, I thought of your company as my credit score is not the best but I had heard good things about your approval process. I was approved and contacted by Zach ** within an hour of sending my application. Zach was so patient with me as I navigated the website looking for my perfect car. He gave me facts about the cars as I looked and let me know about recalls and ran every car I asked about telling me the payment and all the info he could. We selected a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander and scheduled to come get it the following Friday when I had the money for the down payment.

Through the week I sent Zach the paperwork that he told me I needed to bring and he would very quickly respond telling me if it was right or if anything was missing. I explained to him that I have 2 small children so when my husband and I came down to get the car I would like to move as quick as possible as they grow ancy quickly. He did just that. When we arrived at Carmax we were greeted very warmly by many people who got us straight to Zach. He took us to see the car and we signed all the paperwork. He explained the Maxcare and the 5 day warranty to us and before I knew it we had our keys in our hands and were taking pictures with our new car with a bow on it, (such a cute touch!)

We live in the mountains so that night on the way home I was a bit concerned as the car seemed to really struggle with the hills but I thought maybe she just needed broken in. By the 3rd day we had it I was still very concerned. I called Zach and explained my concerns. He gave a couple pieces of advice to maybe help and said that if the problem continued to call him back and we would see what could be done. By the next morning it was very clear to me that this car was not going to work for my everyday Mountain commute. I texted Zach before the office had even opened and he responded almost immediately! He explained his day but said he would be happy to get us taken care of. I sent him a few cars and he pulled all the stats, info and payment info for me. He was beyond helpful!

That night my husband and I returned to Carmax where we looked at both of the cars we had narrowed it down to and ultimately choose a 2013 Ford Escape. The paperwork was done SO fast and everyone was so helpful! Stephan helped with the return part of the car and was very friendly and knowledgeable. Bobbie helped us get our paperwork done quickly and kept me smiling and laughing the whole time. In the end Zach gave us our keys, explained some of the car to us and took a picture of my husband and I with our new car.

I am so beyond happy with the Escape! It is the perfect car for myself and my family and I never would have found this happiness without all the help from everyone at Carmax! You have earned a customer for life!!! Huge kuddos to Zach, Stephan and Bobbie! This was at the South Broadway location in Colorado! I hope that this incredible experience gets back to them and they know how amazing they were to work with! Thank you Carmax for EVERYTHING!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I went to Carmax expecting a great experience and it ending up being a NIGHTMARE! I do not typically complain about my services with companies but this one was by far the worst experience I had with buying a car. I went to Carmax in Naperville, IL. The salesman Jim started off on a very positive and informative note. I had a trade in and they made me a reasonable offer in which I accepted. However after test driving the vehicle I wanted I decided to choose a different vehicle that needed to be transferred from the Glencore, IL.

I was told to come back in 4 days in order for me to purchase the vehicle. I returned after 4 days to purchase the vehicle only to be told that I couldn't buy the vehicle because of a title issues with the car. So after getting this information the salesman Jim made a recommendation of getting a different car from another location. In which I did, then I was told it would take another 5 days before the car would arrive and I could get a temporary vehicle until the car arrived. I agreed to it however each time we communicated Jim's communication started to change and he seem annoyed in which he involved the general manager Bill. He and Bill would go back and forth with the issue.

During our interaction Jim told me he would give me a discount on the service plan of 800 because of the service I had encountered thus far. He assured me there wouldn't be a problem with making that adjustment once the second transferred vehicle arrived. When the vehicle finally arrived I was told I could come up and exchange the vehicle I had, once I arrived I was told Jim was not available and they would have a different salesperson assist me.

When I walked thru the office I saw Jim and he walked past me as if he had never seen me before. He stated "hey I'm busy today working in the internet room" I found this to be really strange, but I said, "Ok no problem". So a different salesperson starting helping me. Once we got to the final sale I advised the new salesperson of what Jim had communicated to me about the 800 discount on the service plan because he could adjust the price of the car. I spoke to the general manager Bill and he told me 800 was too much and he could make it 300, I said no I was told 800 and I asked him to get Jim. When Jim came over to discuss he looked me right in my face and changed his story and stated "I do not recall telling you that".

I then realized why Jim was not helping me anymore because he was not going to honor the 800 discount that we previously discussed and also, the car payments that I was told originally had changed as well and they ran my credit each time I was there after telling me this would not have any impact to my score or credit, in which it did. The dishonesty and customer service I was provided was by far the worst experience I have EVER had and I have bought many cars in my life. I will NEVER go to them again and I recommend my family or friends to not buy from them as well.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Was looking for another car. Saw a 2016 GMC Terrain. Sat down with the salesperson to get more info. We are both in our 80's. Next thing I knew we were handed the keys to the car and directed out the door. Nobody explained anything about the car, we went back into the showroom and asked for assistance. How do we do this, how do we do that? We were told to buy an owners manual. Drove off in a daze, "What did we do?" Two days later we went back, the car is not what we wanted. The salesman smirked and hid behind a column. Shoulders were shrugged by the management. I wrote a poor review, someone called and wanted to make it right... Well, here we are 7 months later, I still have a car that we both hate and it never went any further... Our credit union told us they were several thousand dollars over on the price according to the BlueBook. Be careful who you deal with.

Updated on 04/12/2018: I went to Carmax in SLC in July 2017 in search of a used Honda Pilot. A salesman named Brandon greeted us at the sales floor door, He rushed us into his cubicle and the sales pitch began. Let me say up front that we are 80/81 years young. Next thing we knew we looked at a GMC Terrain, not our ideal car, back into his cubicle and started answering general questions (we thought) about what financing we'd use and etc. An hour later we were ushered out into the garage area where the Terrain sat with a big yellow bow on it. Confused, we tried to explain that we didn't want that car. Brandon was nowhere to be seen, everybody vaporized on us and we drove out in a car we hated. Went back the next day. Spoke with a manager, explained what happened, all we got was a deer in the headlight look and shrugged shoulders.

After making several trips back to Carmax trying to return the car, we were hooked up with a new salesman who promised to call us when a Honda Pilot came in. Eight (8) months later we still hadn't heard from Carmax. I made contact with another dealership that had a car we were interested in. In talking about trading the GMC in I was asked, "how bad was the accident you had with the car?" Huh??? We didn't... Well the Carfax (that we were never showed) told a different story. The car had to be towed from the accident scene and was sold at auction to Carmax for $8,000. It was a 2016 Terraine. They sold it to us for $23,000!!! I requested a copy of that carfax. That same afternoon we sat in the manager's office once again at Carmax with the carfax in hand. They finally agreed to take the wreck back.

The only Honda Pilot in their system that met our requirements was in Florida and it would cost us $1,000 to ship it. After haggling over who would pay for it to be shipped here, we reluctantly agreed to pay it. Car arrived, we took ownership, I wrote Carmax headquarters and told them how unfair I thought we had been treated. Garrett, from the head office called me, told me to get in touch with Matt in SLC. I spoke with Matt and he acting like the big businessman he thinks himself to be told me pretty much, "Tough, you aint' getting the $1,000 back." Why didn't no guts Garrett just tell me, it would have save me a phone call. Carmax is dishonest and untruthful. I would never buy from them again and will warn everyone to be careful who they do business with.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Everything was going great! I got a call yesterday from the Tinley Park, IL location that I was approved for the car I wanted. They told me who I was going to be financed through, the interest rate, the monthly payment amount, and the total buying amount. I was then on the phone periodically throughout the day with Joe ** (my salesman) and he gave me the VIN number so that I could set up the insurance so everything would be smooth sailing. (He's the one who suggested I set up my insurance in advance.) I went in last night to have my boyfriend look it over and for both of us to test drive it. They also had me print out the documents that were needed on the computer at the front desk. I had to bring in one more piece of paper and the manager (John) asked that I bring it in the next day when I get off work (today).

I got a call this morning from John (the manager) of him reading off of a piece of paper stating Carmax can choose to do business with whoever they'd like and they've chosen to refuse service to me. I asked why as when I left last night he said, "I'll see you tomorrow and we were just going to finish the logistics." He told me he could not tell me and this is valid at all Carmax locations in the nation and this decision is final. I asked again that I wanted to know why and he said to call customer relations.

I called customer relations and they said they would do some digging and find out why. They called me back about 2 hours later saying this decision is final. I asked why. She (Devon) said she went out of her way to do the research and now she's letting me know it's final, again. I said I called to find out why and refused to give me an answer. This is absolutely shocking. I've never heard this before. I had the money, the credit, and no background. All of my documents were legit and they even had me print them out in front of them! I'm absolutely shocked. Worst company I've ever gone through.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

First car from them YEARS ago great. Car I got 6 months ago, not so great for $15,000. Where to start... the day we drove it home, the speedometer started bouncing all up and down, lights all going crazy, brought it back, some screw was loose. Ok, no biggie. Then Sam leans up on the driver's side panel, right above the tire, she weighs 100 pounds at the most, and it moves. Literally shifts, she doesn't know what to do, so she goes to open the car door, to come home and show me, and the panel overlapped it and paint chipped. Brought it back, fixed it, couldn't figure out why it happened. They touched up the paint.

So this is the first 30 days, after that, I bought my car used, so it’s my problem. But I got the extended warranty, but I have to pay 95 bucks to be looked at, and to pay the 1st 300 of it. Driver side headlight goes out, fix it, whatever, as nephew is putting a new one in, he notices my coolant is basically empty, but it wasn't leaking nothing. Just gone. Supposedly they check all the fluids when they do the oil change when you buy it. Then winter comes, turn on the heat, and the motor makes a terrible ticking noise. Sam’s friend who works on cars said it the heat motor. Then the other headlight goes out, my friend says hit the brights, just to see if they work, and when I hit the brights, there's a ** clunking nose. Then, we are driving and the windshield wiper goes on for no reason. No one touched them, turned them on, it wasn't even snowing or raining. My daughter said it's been doing but didn't want to tell ‘cause I'm already hating the car.

So, I’d say DON’T GO THERE! I'm going to my mechanic Thursday, having him look at everything, then going back to Carmax and raising hell. They said they have 1 of the best car inspections ever, my car was in great shape, no accidents, basically perfect, other car companies bring cars to them to be inspected and so on. So what, did they just not inspect mine! It's a 2013, 45 thousand miles. I shouldn't be having all these problems! Something isn't right with the car. If they don't work with, I'm going to a lawyer. Every month since I bought it something went wrong or broke!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My husband and I bought a Nissan from them and they sold it to us with no oil in it. We took it back and the only way they would take it back was to buy another. We got a 2015 Jeep Patriot and we have only had it less than 4 months and now the wheel sensors are out. We bought a service plan and now they want 295.00 to just look at the jeep. We are seniors and on a fixed income and now we are stuck with a Jeep we cannot get fix. Do not buy from them. And we are making 346.00 payments on this Jeep.

Carmax Company Information