Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

719 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am not someone who enjoys the car buying experience. Most places make it way too inconvenient to the buyer and way too time consuming. I have had my share of bad experiences at dealerships. However, CarMax Austin, TX South took it to a whole new level. I was shopping for a stylish but economic vehicle to replace my aging Range Rover that consumed too much of my income filling it with gas.

I decided I would buy a Lexus CT200h. I found one at CarMax South Austin and called to get pre-approved for the purchase so I could shorten the time stuck at the dealership. I was approved but soon after the salesman calls me back to tell me he can get me an even better deal. I listened to what he had to say and knew he was doing a simple up-sale on me but I was actually going to be better off the newer car for a few thousand more. One catch was the car was not local so I had to pay to have it delivered. I paid $100.00 for the transfer of the car having already been assured everything was ready to go. All I had to do was show up, test drive and pay the downpayment and provide proof of income.

A week later I called the salesman to check on the car and he made an appointment with me to come in the next afternoon to test drive the car and most likely purchase it. I just happened to call in. I was never informed the car I had paid to be transported there had been delivered. After the test drive I decided to move forward with the car purchase. My wife was with me but since I was going to be doing the very boring process of getting the car she left to go do other things.

The salesman then hit me with a document outlining everything I needed to have for the company covering the loan. This stupid guy has had a week to give me specific details on what was required and I asked him on several phone calls and was assured I had gathered everything they would need. Part of my income is from seasonal photography work where I average $20,000 a year. That day at the CarMax dealership I was told the bank statements had to be from the last 3 months only. So now very pissed. I walked outside to call my wife to come back to pick me up from CarMax when the salesman came out and said he was just able to get me approved without the additional income.

I asked for the details and he said the interest rate would be 5% higher, I was even more pissed. Then he told me that I would also be required to have insurance for that specific car before I could take it even though I had proof of full coverage insurance and you have 72-hours to get coverage on a new car purchase. I told the salesperson and his manager I was done with them and wanted my money for the car transfer back. I will have to wait uptown 72-hours to see if the money was refunded to my debit card. These guys are unprofessional at best and have no problem wasting people's time or money. I strongly advise to do your car buying business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

CarMax does not sell used cars; they are in the business of selling you an extended warranty with a used car. I used to rave about CarMax. We have purchased cars there before and never had problems. Too good to be true though... This past May 2018, my son purchased a 2015 BMW, Series 3. The first month it had a "maintenance" problem that CarMax covered with the 30-day warranty. However, less than 3 mths later, the car's whole dashboard goes out. CarMax agrees to pay for the diagnostic service. We take it to the BMW dealership that CarMax sent us to and later find out that things are much worse. There are 3 oil leaks that have to be repaired as well as the dashboard, totaling $6,000 in repairs. It was stated by the diagnostician (the one CarMax paid for and sent us to) that service for the oil leaks should have been done, but was not. The leaks were happening long before the car was sold to us.

CarMax has refused to offer ANY help with repairs since we did not buy an extended warranty. According to the service manager, CarMax doesn't claim to sell used cars that are "on par with new cars." Well, I know this and never expected this. However, I did expect and trusted them to sell us a used car with normal wear and tear for its age. I will never buy another car from them and will happily tell my story to all that will listen. Recommendation is to go elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Now I know why CarMax showroom is so luxurious, they are ripping people off. I purchased a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in January for $25,000, had problem after problem with the car, traded it back in 6 months later and they only gave me $19,000! Is that fair, no it’s not! Shame on you CarMax!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been shopping online for the past 6 months for a GMC Yukon XL at multiple websites and have visited dealerships for a test drive. I was a little reluctant when I saw a vehicle that was in my price range with the low mileage that I wanted for sale on Carmax's website because I question where they get their vehicles, reputation, return policy, etc. The vehicle was located two states away and it was a $99 shipping fee to the local dealer by my house, so I figured if I don't like it I will just eat the $99 fee. I must mention that previous to this purchase I did a lot of research, test drove multiple vehicles and made offers at local reputable dealerships, but received the run around treatment and classic used car dealer line of "our vehicles are priced aggressively to sell" with zero flexibility on their overpriced tags (overpriced both on Edmunds and KBB). To say that my patience was at an all time low would be an understatement.

So I took the chance and I had the car delivered (which took two days longer than originally told which was the only downside to my Carmax experience) and scheduled a test drive. The Yukon was fully loaded, had a clean Carfax, had less than 20k miles on it, and had a 36k mile factory warranty. It was exactly what my wife and I were looking for and the price was very fair and accurate to KBB and Edmunds pricing. After I drove the Yukon, I sat down with the dealer and told him I liked what I saw and wanted to purchase the vehicle (at sticker cost) but was going to use my own pre-approved bank financing. He said that is fine, took the bank letter I provided him and in an hour I was on my way home with the new vehicle (fully detailed). THAT WAS IT! NO HIDDEN DEALER FEES, NO TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY ANY ADDITIONAL SERVICES OR PRODUCTS, NOTHING!

He did briefly mention the Carmax warranty options but I chose not to purchase one because I'd rather utilize a certified GMC dealer warranty (which I'm shopping for now) and he did not mention it again after I told him I wasn't interested. This was hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had. No haggling, no pressure, and I was in and out (they even ordered me the DVD headsets that were missing). Traditional car dealerships need to take note of my experience, like the Carmax saying goes, "This is how car buying should be!" And I am not a Carmax employee nor do I know anyone who works there. This was just a really good hassle-free car buying experience that needs to be recognized.

I've read a lot of Carmax reviews and some were good and some were bad, but majority of the poor ones revolved around dealer service and maintenance which is an area I cannot speak on because I did not purchase their warranty. Nevertheless, when it is time for me to purchase another vehicle, I am definitely going to Carmax first.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I bought a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee about three years ago. Since it was a used vehicle with unknown history, I decided to purchase the extended warranty thru 100,000 miles. The car was good and I had little to no problems for a while. The first issue I had with the service department came when I needed something checked quickly, but they would not even look at it for a week. In other words, their business model does not include any ability to assist a customer in an emergency. However, because I had paid for the warranty, I was locked in to using their service department. I recently had a problem with a noise from something loose and called for an appointment. After waiting a week for them to check it, they said a strut part, not the entire strut had to be replaced. No problem, I thought, until they told me that it would be from Tuesday to Friday for the work to be done. So I had to get a rental.

They said they would call and keep me informed of the progress, but they did not. I called on Thursday afternoon and was told the parts had arrived and would be installed by Friday. On Friday I was told that it would not be ready until Monday at the earliest. I got a call after 4 PM Monday to say the car is ready. I picked up the car on Tuesday morning. On the return drive home, it was clear that the rattling noise was still there and was actually louder than before they "fixed it". Obviously no one test drove the car.

I took it to another repair place and the mechanic took a test drive with me and immediately identified the issue as something to do with the struts. Back in the shop he determined that the entire struts should be replaced. When that was completed, there has been no further issue with the rattling. In this case, Carmax service department was totally incompetent and either directly lied to me about when the car would be ready or was not able to deliver as promised. Either way, I will not do business with Carmax again, because of their service department. I do not recommend this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We purchased a used Prius from Carmax Riverside. There were a couple dings on the car that made us hesitant to pay the asking price. We included fixing the minor dings on the body in the purchase agreement, and were guaranteed that the repairs were minor and that their auto body department could easily fix the dings to make the car look perfect. Their first repair significantly increased the size of the ding and Carmax did not use the correct Toyota paint color! It looked much, much worse. The second repair again used the incorrect paint. The third time Carmax used the correct Toyota paint, but again, the repair looked much worse than the initial ding.

We asked to return the car and were refused a return. Carmax stated that they promised to "try" to fix the ding and that they did the best they could. You can spot the repair from 20 feet away! I wish I could have posted pictures in this review, but I was unable to do so. DO NOT TRUST CARMAX TO FIX ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH A PURCHASED VEHICLE AS A PART OF A PURCHASE AGREEMENT. I will never deal with Carmax again! I wish I would have checked Consumer Affairs to see how badly the company is rated.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I wouldn't even give it 1 star but didn't have a choice. CARMAX HAVE MY CAR FOR 9++ WEEKS AND 3 CAR PAYMENTS WITH YET AN ETA. LOT OF LIP SERVICE! Unfortunately I did not read reviews when I was in a desperate need of a new car. Purchased a 2014 vehicle w/ 30000 miles in Jan 2017. Fortunately I also purchased the extended warranty. My car has been back 4 times re: transmission. The first couldn't find anything, 2nd time they "said" it was a recall on a sensor. Tranny was no different. Called again. The service rep told me to take it to a trannny place and pretty much leave them alone. I purchased the extended warranty. NO YOU FIX IT. Brought it back again...and this time they did FIND that it needs a new tranny at 44000 miles! Wow!

Needless to say they have had my vehicle since mid August 2018 and today is October 3 2018 AND STILL NO CAR! I Spoke to the manager of the store who called me per my request and was totally clueless! Kept asking me the questions he should have been explained to me. For example he kept asking me over and over when the ETA was? Really? That is what I want to know. Very disappointed had not reviewed file or dates and was worthless! I then reached out to customer relations in VA and got a hold of Garrett. He too was worthless! All he did was pat himself and CarMax on the back...he kept telling me "the service department contacts you every day (not true) and you have a loaner car." Really? I purchased a car that has been at Carmax now for 9 weeks and 3 car payments!

They offered to appraise it and purchase it back...right! I purchased the car to drive for the next 10+++ years NOT to sell it in 18 mos. I would be SO UPSIDE DOWN! Reached out to Garret again today, Oct 3, 2018 and he had the audacity to tell me I have no money into it...not the repairs CUZ I bought a warranty BUT I DO HAVE MONEY INTO IT!!! Garrett hung up on me so I reached out to the executive response team/Jeremy with a promise he would get back to me by the end of his shift today 7pm ET. It is NOW 8:40pm ET... HAVE YET TO HEAR FROM HIM...IMAGINE THAT!!! I also noticed an AWFUL lot of rust around all the inside metal. Flood car? ALL I CAN SAY IS NEVER EVER BUY FROM CARMAX!!! RUN RUN RUN. I'd probably buy from a private party next time.

UPDATE ON 10/06/2018: Picked up car yesterday and drove home. Went to leave just now and all I get when I turn the key is a ticking noise --> battery dead? I just bought the battery in April! STAY AWAY FROM CARMAX. NOTHING BUT LIP SERVICE! Though I did get a box of brand new Weathertec floor mats that were in my back end... Too bad they're not for my make or model. THEY ARE SO SCREWED UP. I was also promised they would do an appraisal per their suggestion. Guess what... after having for 9 weeks no appraisal!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I purchased a car from Carmax back in July 2018. Because of the "No Haggle" pricing structure the price was the price. I trusted Carmax to offer a fair price on the vehicles they sell. After only 2 months the vehicle was in a bad accident resulting in a total loss. Carmax sold me this vehicle for $2000.00 over the Clean Retail Value of the vehicle according to my insurance company. I contacted the General Manager at Carmax and he was unable to offer me any resolution to this matter. GAP coverage was not even offered by the Sales Consultant. Don't buy at Carmax - the "no haggle" pricing is not for the customers' benefit - it only benefits Carmax.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

2008 Kia Sorento disabled due to minor fire under dash. Carmax made up more issues with vehicle and I was forced to take their horrible offer due to towing issues, steer the engine transmission and many other parts of vehicle are worth more. Steer clear of Carmax...

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Bought a truck 4 months ago, they kept my license registration fee and didn’t register with the state of Calif. Even after payoff. Called over 10 times, filed complaint with the state. Kearny Mesa Carmax is the worst customer service ever.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I took my son to Carmax in Lancaster to purchase his first new car. When we arrived the lady at the counter took our name and said someone would be with us shortly. Unfortunately an hour later we still didn’t receive help even though there were a few sales associates sitting at the desk doing nothing. Decided to go down the street to a competitor and received excellent customer service. If you want horrible customer service then Carmax is the place for you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Do not trust or use the "hold" feature if you see a car that you wish to purchase. The website states that you can hold a car for up to seven days. Somehow, after placing one and calling to check on the vehicle the day that we were to purchase, another person was in the sales office purchasing the vehicle that was promised to be held for me. I asked them to stop the sale because it was guaranteed on the site, but they would not. Somehow, my hold had disappeared. I am beyond upset with this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchased my vehicle from CarMax in May of 2018. The day that I purchased it I needed to return it. There were many issues regarding no headlights working, flashers not working, wipers not working as well as instability of the rear end and electrical problems stemming from the stereo. I took the car back on numerous occasions they always told me that they could not duplicate the problem, and returned the vehicle to me. I have been locked in the vehicle in temperatures above 98゚along with my grandson. I have recorded all of these things of being locked in the car not starting, slamming into gears, airbag light going off, and finally the car had to be flat bedded back to CarMax at the end of August up 2018. They have claimed again the day could not duplicate the problems.

CarMax has had my car through one car rental and for loners, there run me out of a serious exam membership in are on my 2nd membership, only to find out that not only were the rotors bad the battery was bad the headlights were bad but now it's the transmission! I have been trying to return the car to them using their 5 day return policy and they have not yet returned the car in. Give me back my money. I have reported CarMax is well as the Jeep 2014 to the national highway safety and transportation department, I have reported the problems to Jeep Corp, as well as CarMax is corporate office.

As of today's date September 18th 2018 CarMax still has my vehicle in a shop having repairs done while I continue to make my loan payments and I am in a vehicle that is just as sub par as the vehicle I purchased. I cannot prove my allegations when I say this but these cars that they sell are coming from flood zones the bodies are straight and clean they Buffum out and pressure wash the undercarriage but if you look above what's pressure washed you will find all rust. I have found that on 4 separate vehicles!

I say buyer beware CarMax is a rip off that has mechanics that are not certified as master mechanics they of management that is not knowledgeable of anything that they speak on I strongly recommend reading all reviews from employees versus customers do not buy from CarMax if you value your ride, your safety, and your money! This company is a rip off nationwide. The big number of theirs is $17998. There are haggle free price which is usually 4 to $5000 above market value! Also the vehicles that they sell besides not functioning properly looking prop pretty they push the warranty on you. That warranty if you insist on buying a vehicle from them you're going to need that warranty that will add about 3 to $4000 on to your bill. Without doubt warranty you're going to be spending a lot of money in a very short while to clean up the mess that CarMax just sold you.

Again I say buyer beware get your own Car Fax because CarMax does not use them do your research on all vehicles that $35 you spend today may save you the headache and heartache in the fear of what lies ahead. Again I purchased my car in May of 2018 and they have had my car most of the time. It is September 2018. They again have my vehicle. The car has caused considerable damage to me as a person, my grandson. Have put fear in us. It nearly killed us and CarMax doesn't care! That is not how you run a business! As far as CarMax is concern once the sale is over it's goodbye to you! Don't buy from CarMax if you can avoid it you are better off at a corner lot it's safer cheaper and you'll have a lot less problems.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was approved for the California Replace Your Ride clean air voucher for $4,000 for a used car. The program limits you on what dealerships you can use and Carmax is their favorite. I was ready to purchase a car but then decided to price check it against other dealerships online and such. Only to find out that Carmax has a 30% markup. Suffice to say I was very disappointed when I realized that my $4,000 voucher wasn't going to save me any money because Carmax was going to rip me off. I literally saw the same car with the same mileage for $3,000 less at another dealership and $4,000 less from a private party.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This was the worst experience of buying a car I have ever had. Spent 3 days trying to get an appointment. Salesman was nice. Put the info he printed from his computer, and what I was told were all lies. None of the parts of the car written on their paperwork, related to the things in the car were actually there. When I asked to see the controls etc. the salesman said he was not familiar and would check. They didn't exist and I would have been sold this car thinking they were there when they were not. Their solution. Different car different price, we're sorry. Do not go there and believe what they give you, not real.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Two trips to two difference CARMAXs. The first car bought had mechanical defects. Red lights on, on the dashboard. Second, low balled me again on trade. Salesman just sat there, looking at me and said "There is nothing I can do." I walked away and one hour later, he called me and said "Oh, we have decided to offer you an additional $2000 on the trade." I said "NO." I will not deal with a bunch of crooks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Dishonest, slow, in my opinion lacking in integrity. If you even visit Carmax, which I don’t Recommend, do so to see a variety of car brands. Find something you like then go to that auto manufacturer dealership. You will be able to buy the same vehicle, brand new, for not much more than the used Carmax version (really inflated prices) then the dealership financing is better and will save you thousands. Do the math and most often in the end you have a new car with less long term cost.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This is my second time purchasing through Carmax in Norcross, GA. I must say that both times were smooth sailing. The first time, my cash car had given out on me and I needed a car asap. My cousin recommended Carmax so I went online, applied, got my approval for the amount I was willing to spend, walked in the store the next day signed paperwork and walked out with my car. This second time, that same car was in a wreck and was written off. I knew it would be some time while the insurance company did their part but I applied for the amount I was willing to spend to not be in a rental for too long.

Toya at that location worked with me for just about a month while I waited on the GAP insurance to do their part. There was never any pressure. She answered every call, email and text message I sent. I finally had every thing resolved and texted her the night before to come in and see the cars I had saved online. I went in and she was as amazing in person as she was over the phone. I inspected the car I decided on and every thing checked out. I also referred my grandmother who recently moved to the area to that same Carmax and she had a great experience also! Get the GAP insurance! It's a few bucks extra but definitely worth it!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Talked directly with Larry of Carmax in Fairfield, made arrangements to come down and look at a 2018 Tahoe. I was specific about asking the condition of the paint to the extent to ask Larry (a) did he know how to tell if a panel had been repainted, (b) he said yes, (c) asked him to go inspect the Tahoe, (d) came back and said only 1 panel has been repainted.

Gathered up the family and made the drive. When we looked at the vehicle it was obvious almost all the Tahoe has been repainted. The color match to white was so bad even our son at 12 could see how bad it was, drips - fisheyes- bad orange peel nowhere even close to one panel, how about 6 panels and the hood.

Imagine being told a story of "Oh ya the car is perfect only one spot," kinda thing. The passengers door had a 4" gouge that had a really awful touch up job, I wonder why he did not mention that? Everybody was pointing fingers at everybody else, they even wanted me to talk with the inspector. My response, "Can you see that this, this and this are obviously not the same color?" What a joke. Make us feel like all used car salesman are exactly how we have heard them described. In very low integrity, lack of character, basically dishonest.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Went to Carmax on 8/22/18 to appraise my 2015 Cadillac Escalade. Car has 68k miles and KBB and Edmunds set a value of between $40 and $43k. Carmax valued the car at $35k stating rear left frame had damage. Their inspection took 5 minutes. Never had a accident with the car and didn't believe appraisal. Took the car to a Cadillac dealer on 8/23/18 and requested a detailed inspection of the car saying I was ready to sell it and wanted to know if there were any issues before putting up for sale. Paid the dealership for their inspection which took almost 40 minutes. Cadillac inspection determined I needed new wiper blades and should change the battery soon. No underside damage to anything including the frame. Beware of Carmax evaluations.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Today is 8/8/2018 and I never had my heart broken since I lost my son. A week ago I registered with Carmax and reviewed many cars. I picked 4 cars and they ran my credit 5 times as I approved. Yes, I was approved all 5 times by a leading bank. I visited the dealership to pick up the 2014 Audi A6. They put the yellow bright bow on it after they washed it, then all staff told me congratulations!!! We finished all contracts and legal paperwork. They gave me 2 sets of keys, shook my head and me and my son walked out the door with the dealer to leave in my new car. The manager then peeped outside the door and told the dealer "I need to speak with you".

After approx 10 minutes, the manager pulled me into an empty quiet room and said, "I hate to do this and I don't have a reason why, but Carmax has every right to refuse service to anyone." My face dropped, we walked out of the room and I walked outside to the furthest peak I could find. I walked to the edge of the premises and even though I'm trying to quit smoking... I lit a cigarette. For the first time in years I had that blurred vision, I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. I am carless due to my beautiful previous car being totaled this year. But my inner self said, "Give up, you're headed even lower."

Another part of me said, "Suck it up. You been strong for so many years." If you lost so much including a human life then what can Carmax do to you? It's not the car I realize, it's just getting very hard for me to stay strong and keep receiving blows. I didn't know a car dealership would put me back in tears... heavy tears. They are basically saying, "No 'cause we don't like you... you deserve nothing. Here's more to that curse that you have against you." I sit at this desktop and cannot turn around right now to show my son that I hurt too, that I'm not the supermom that he thinks and sees of me. Sorry for the long body but this is my only vent right now.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Be very careful, watch out! I had been looking for a very specific car and found it on the Carmax website. It was outside of my free shipping area so after many calls not only to the local Carmax dealer but the dealer in the other area I told them to send it. When it arrived at my local Carmax dealer it had been damaged. They said it was not their fault and said I must take the car. I asked that the car be repaired and they would not. At that point I said no to taking the car and wanted my shipping charges returned to me. Thank goodness I kept records and notes of phone calls, before and after pictures. Be very careful!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We took our second car (no longer needed) to CarMax in Madison, Wisconsin to sell. 1994 Honda Accord EX, manual, with 153000 miles in good running condition. One owner, clean, new tires, new exhaust system, recent brake work. Had scrapes and rust on right side from getting too close to a cement post. Clock and radio did not work and auto door locks made strange noises. They offered $100. Can you believe $100? We laughed out loud. We posted the car on Craigslist for $800 and sold it a few hours - had to turn away a dozen inquiries. We should have asked more. CarMax's appraisal was a joke! Don't waste your time.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My experience is too long and horrendous to explain! The short story! I was approved for a truck to pick up in Boise Idaho. Halfway to Boise, I got a call telling me that my original application had a mistake on it (their part), so they needed to resubmit an application! I was already 130 miles away from home mind you! They resubmitted and the finance company wanted twice the amount down than originally submitted! So a few day later, we settled on another one! It needed to be transferred from Seattle to Spokane which was fine. I had no problem waiting for it! A couple of days later, I received a call from one of the managers telling me, that Carmax reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, and apparently, they refused to work with me! WOW! I was blown away! I hung up on the dude, 'cause I really didn't want to hear banter on about their policies! WOW! What the hell kind of company is this?

I have never in my life experienced working with a SCREWED up dealership like this EVER! I'm assuming "Carmax" will not be around too long! Look for yourself how many complaints there are against this place! Seriously! What an awful experience! I will never recommend this place to anyone! UNLESS you have perfect credit. Which 80% of people don't! GO ELSEWHERE! Trust me, it is not worth the time that I put into it! A week and a half working with my salesom! And my credit is not BAD! UNBELIEVABLE! CARMAX SUCKS!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Do not buy a car here... I bought a 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have had for a year and a half and the electric system has went out in the hybrid battery. When I brought the car I got a warranty on the car that was 60 months or a hundred thousand miles. I myself have not put that mileage on the car but they said because I had over a hundred thousand miles my warranty is no good. So now I'm stuck with a car that me and my family could here hurt driving because we could get electrocuted, lose my brakes and etc... Find another place to buy a car. Thank You.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Be aware, you may think that the salesperson has ordered a transfer of a vehicle you wish to purchase and have been qualified to do so. However you find out days later that a sales manager can cancel that sale and transfer if they so chose. Even if Carmax company policy says they cannot. Then you get to spend days trying to get a response as to why. Good Luck.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

STAY AWAY!! Unless you're desperate!! My husband & I paid to have a vehicle transferred from Carmax in Midlothian, VA to Carmax in Newark, DE ($149). We drive an hour on a Sat. to get the vehicle. After getting an approval we had to provide paystubs, proof of address, etc. I had everything with me. The sales lady took my docs & handed them off to another woman that came up to me & asked me if I was able to contact my boss, who's an attorney & only has myself & 3 other employees that he pays. We do not get direct deposit, our checks are prepared with taxes taken out & shown on the paystub & the check is attached below. I rip off the perforated check & cash it.

I then deposit it into my account. She asked me if I could contact my boss for him to get a copy of his bank statement showing the cancelled cashed check that went through his account? WHAT? REALLY?? Because the paper my husband's check/direct deposit voucher is printed on & my paystub/paycheck, they just didn't feel the same, she said. Well, NO KIDDING! I work for a law firm with a total of 5 employees, including the attorney & my husband works for a commercial construction company with 40++ employees & there's more than 1 way for an employer to pay employees! She then went on to tell me, that there wasn't any watermarks on my paystub.

I held it up to the light & there was watermarks all over the back of it. THEY ARE A JOKE. AND I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY THINK THEY HAVE OVER THERE, BUT THEY ARE A JOKE!!! She was basically telling me, "I don't believe you!!" I've been at the same law firm since May 2013 & NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE, not even my mortgage company, questioned my paystub but Carmax does & wants people's bank statements & wants you to go online @ their store & pull up/print out your bank statement. That's MY personal info. Why would ANYBODY be willing to pull up their personal info, like a bank statement on their COMPANY computer system??? I DONT THINK SO & IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO EVEN ASK A CONSUMER TO DO SUCH A THING!!! I posted a pic of the back of my paystub to show the watermarks, which were pretty difficult to pick up on camera. But if you look @ the lower left side, you can see them.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Last week I recommended CarMax to my son who was looking for a 2017-2018 Camaro ZL1. I thought they were a good company, so, he found a car, did the financing online and was approved and got five offers. He was pre approved not pre-qualified. So he selected one of the offers and we went into the Merrillville, IN location to sign the papers and give deposit. When we got there then that when everything change. He was told that his deposit amount went up by $800 and we accepted the new deposit. After sitting for over 2 and half hours. The sales manager Ken came back and said that CarMax decided not to do business with him. WHAT?? I never heard that before so, we asked why and he said no information was given to him and to call the 800-519-1511 consumer relations.

I was so confused because we were approved by the finance company and had done everything that asked for and he said it wasn't the finance company but Carmax. I requested to speak to the Business office Manager Kristin ** and after a while she finally met with us only because I had someone from the 800 number and they had never heard of the denial reason. All the analyst and finance department said it was the store not them. I kept the consumer relations analyst on the phone while I spoke with Kristin.

They said no reason was in the computer system. Then Kristin tried to explain to the analyst it just happen the analyst Darren said he had to look into it and I knew then it was a cover up. I stated that looking into it meant him and Kristin had to get their lies together. Kristin refused to do business with him. I explain to them that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act requires that they verbally or in writing tell us the reason for the denial. None was given and was told that they don't have to and they can refuse to do business with anyone at any time. Darren the consumer relations analyst stated that my son was banned from doing business from all CarMax. Why when he never purchase anything from them before. They treated him had did something wrong. Why would they banned him?!?!

Even the sales rep thought it was racial and kept stating the Kristin was the reason we was waiting. I believe it was racial, my son is **, young and make a very good income and she assumed he was lying. Yes, I'm upset because I knew he was discriminated against. He told no lies on application, had all paperwork, insurance proof, and deposit. Also we contacted the finance company and they said my son was approved for the 58k. My son is no bum, he's married over 7 years, two kids and purchase his first home. Yes he even got a home! Everyone knows getting a home is one of the hardest thing you'll ever do. So why the refusal to do business from CarMax? Something stinks!!! Why no reason given. If this or something like this have happen to you let me know. I know he can't be the only one!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been trying to find a BMW X6 with specific features and options, and I was able to locate one on a nationwide search in your Roseville, Ca location. This was early Sunday (22nd July) morning, and I was able to put a hold on the vehicle to have it transferred to my location. Next day (Monday 23rd July) when I went to the local CarMax in Mobile, Alabama to pay for the transfer, I was told, the car is being shipped to a different location for someone else.

The strange part of all was that a sales associate (Patrick) called me from the California location same day (Sunday) afternoon to ask me about my plan with this vehicle. I explained it to him that I was looking to transfer the vehicle to Mobile, Alabama. According to the website of CarMax, all holds are guaranteed for seven days. Since then I have called the local store, the California store and to a customer service number 1800-519-1511 and spoke to an associate name Garrett who was very helpful and told me he would get back to me, but again I have not heard back from anyone.

As a business owner, I understand mistakes happen, but you have to own up to it, admit that there was a mishap and try to resolve it the best way possible, but in this case I think the corporate strategy is to ignore, refuse, show no admission of wrongdoing and give customers plenty of runarounds so one would get tired and stop contacting them. It's been three days and I have made 7/8 calls to various customer service department. Even went on to their social media and sent their Rapid Response Customer service team emails but I have yet to hear from anyone via any media.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Carmax appears to be no different than any other used car lot. I took my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 to Carmax to get an offer. They offered me 8k. The night before I valued the truck on KBB.com and came up with a trade-in value of 11k, and that was using the ‘good condition’, which the truck is actually in ‘very good condition’. When I questioned the discrepancy between KBB and what Carmax offered, the agent actually went on KBB to see for himself. While he was entering the information, I noticed he entered the sub-model as Tradesman. I told him the truck was not a Tradesman, but an Express. He said according to his appraiser it is a Tradesman.

To his surprise, I produced the Carfax, from the Dodge dealer that I bought the truck from, showing it was indeed an Express, which would account for the 3k difference. The agent maintained that he had to go by what his appraiser said, even after showing my Carfax to the appraiser, and started talking about some built in tax savings if I bought a car from them. Needless to say, I left. It appears that they low-ball you when purchasing your vehicle and then sell it for approximately 20% above what other similar vehicles in the area are selling for. Typical used car lot, but with friendly people and a large sales center. Would not sell nor buy a vehicle from these people.

Carmax Company Information