1.24/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Carmax

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

624 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I called Carmax. Transferred to an ADAM sales rep (MAPLE SHADE, NJ). I was questioning how do they go about making sure the batteries are OK and don't fail you almost a year later as my son's did today and he answered as if I asked for a free battery. “Well we don't replace a year later and we checked it blah blah blah." He was VERY VERY RUDE. I MISS GRACE... who no longer is there. She was patient, kind, respectful and cared about her customers... I would never purchase a car from CARMAX.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Let me tell you my story what happen today the Oct 10th 2018. After submitting my application few days ago, yesterday their agent in Calgary called me and asked me about my application. I told him that I I am looking for financing Taurus from other dealer, then he said that they only finance their cars, so I said then no need to continue with the application. Then he got angry and suddenly the sweet voice becomes a demonic voice so rude and started to cross his limits by saying how can I say I only want to buy only Taurus and that I have to buy a car from his agency. So of course I started to feel offended toward my privacy and it started to be very obvious that he is ready to be disrespectful just to make some profits. So I told him, "well this is the only car I am looking to buy and I do not want to buy other car so if you do not have I will not go for any financing," then he a very rude way he said, "Well then OK."

From his intonation and so disrespectful manner of answering I knew that time that this agent will be running my credit even though I told him I will not go for financing just to make a hard inquiry to harm my credit score, until that point the credit was not yet run because after I close the call with him I checked my credit many time through Karma account and was showing that no credit been run.

The next day which is today Oct 10th suddenly I received email saying that my credit been run, when I checked it was their agency!!! I called and told the reception that I will complaining and disputing the credit check without my permission, he also started to be so rude and refused to give me the agent and he close the phone while I was complaining of what they have done. I will be disputing the credit... STAY FAR from these hypocrite non professionals people, they are willing to do anything even illegal things.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

CarMax was willing to lose a customer over a few hundred dollars. CarMax jacked up the value of a vehicle. $1000 per the bank value would have been upside down on a vehicle right off the gate. Carmax in Lexington, KY basically told me to suck it up and purchase this vehicle that is under book value or take my business elsewhere. I've never dealt with a car lot as bad as CarMax.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My son, bought his first car from CarMax back in 2014(?). Because he was only 20 at the time, he was just starting out to establish himself. They financed a 2012 Focus which as of this date still has a balance of $14,00.00. In trying to get rid of it, he finds that the car is only worth $2,000.00. I'm trying to find a solution in getting rid of this car. By the time my son pays this car off, the value will be 0. These car lots and financing companies are taking advantage of young people who are trying to establish themselves.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I purchased my vehicle on 7/3/17. The salesman was very pleasant, but he convinced me on getting a warranty! On September 9 I go to cancel the warranty. I was told over the phone by the operator here that I can simply cancel it... They will refund me the difference in money. Which makes sense... But to my surprise it was all a scam! I would not recommend this place to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Please stay away from them selling you a warranty from TWG or MAXCARE. This is the first and I hope the last time I have to deal with this joke of a warranty. This all started when my van broke down and I had to take it to the repair shop. The first day the van went in around 8:30 in the morning. At that time they started calling to get authorization to do the work, but never could get hold of anyone from THE WARRANTY GROUP. The shop was on hold for 30 minutes each time, keep in mind this is a repair shop that don't have time for this. I called several times myself and was on hold for no less than 45 minutes each time. It took the repair shop until the next day to get the authorization to do the work. Once they got the authorization (more than 24 hours) they got the work done.

At the time of me writing this review they still not gotten paid for the repair and I still have not gotten my van back, and it now 6:30 in the evening on day two, and the repair shop is now closed. I have the rental car allowance of $40 per day, but you can’t use it until they give authorization for the repairs at this point it's been 5 days (with the weekend and Monday as a holiday) and still no van and having to pay for my own rental car. I can't put all the blame on TWG, I also put the blame on CARMAX for selling this crappy warranty. If I ever buy another automobile from CARMAX they better not talk to me about TWG. Like I have heard before, it only take one bad experience to spoil it, and this has been a very bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

After a successful engineering career I retired in Reno, NV. I was restless staying at home, so I decided to take a job in car sales. I answered an Internet ad for a sales position with CARMAX in Reno, NV. The ad specified the existence of several openings and I thought that I had a good chance to get a job there. I sent in my resume and 3 days later, I was contacted by phone by Jess, CARMAX HR Manager. She asked to come for an interview on Friday, Aug 25, 2017. On Friday, I checked in at the reception and I asked for Jess. I was told to wait in the showroom, that she will come to meet me momentarily. After waiting patiently for 56 minutes, I got up and asked a saleslady passing by if there was a problem with Jess... The saleslady went to find out what was going on and 10 minutes later, a sales manager came up and informed me that Jess was not working that Friday.

There was a mix-up and the CARMAX person at the reception forgot to tell anyone I was there, waiting for an interview. I went to meet the store manager and I calmly expressed my dissatisfaction. I was given a new date for an interview on August 29. I went for the interview again at CARMAX and Jess was available. I interviewed with Jess and with 2 other people for 2 hours. I answered many scripted questions from the interviewers. Having a lot of experience in interviewing people, I was surprised by the fact they had absolutely no experience in interviewing. They were simply reciting a scripted questionnaire. Subsequently, I went through a mock sales scenario. After answering the questions and simulating an actual car sale, the interviewers seemed impressed and I was led to believe that I would be getting the job.

One day later, I received an email stating that while my credentials and interview was impressive, they decided to hire someone else. I am very disappointed with CARMAX attitude. If this is the way they act with a sales candidate, can you imagine how would they treat a customer looking to buy a car? In my experience, the hiring process of a potential employee should be done with the same respect you show to a customer. This is not what I experienced at CARMAX.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I'd like to send a great big "thank you" to an awesome salesman, Mr. Nir **. He was a great help in allowing me to relieve 2 months of a stressful situation to rest. I spent over $2K this summer trying to restore my 2006 Mini Cooper that a mechanic kept diagnosing different things wrong with it. After spending broke, I arrived at CarMax with a hope and a prayer. To my surprise, the gentleman that was off that day, spoke and asked me how can he help me. He was already booked with three other appointments but he saw my desperation and despondency of seeking help.

That gentleman was Mr. Nir **. He not only offered me a cold drink, and a moment to relax, but between helping his already approved clients, he ushered me out of there driving in my dream car... 2015 Mini Cooper! I am so grateful he took the time to help me. He was not only professional, but proficient, polite and a pleasure. He made me laugh and that was what I needed besides a nice new car!! He gave me both, with the Lord's help! I'm grateful and I'm happy. If anyone is in need of a good laugh while getting a new car, see Mr. Nir **. He made my day. LET HIM MAKE YOUR DAY TOO!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Bought my car from Carmax in Gaithersburg MD in Dec 2016, on my 2013 Kia Rio there has been over a $1000 dollars’ worth of work done on it. It has been in and out of the shop several times since I bought. I have to say that, Carmax did pay for repairs. Disappointed in Carmax, bought 2 previous cars from them never had a day’s problem other than regular up keep. Unaware of any problems until after paper work was signed. I ask Carmax to let me exchange cars and they said my time to do that had expired.

I was not aware of any problems beforehand. So now I am just stuck. Not telling anyone not to shop at Carmax. When you do be an educated buyer, get the car checked out by someone you trust before signing on the dotted line. They used to be the best people to buy from but not now. Carmax is not going to care and they will stick you with a piece of junk as they did me. Just saying Carmax has gone downhill not like they used to be. Buyer beware when buying from Carmax. They are not too honest these days...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased my previously owned GMC from Carmax in King of Prussia, PA on October 15, 2016. I was very excited when the time came for me to drive my car off the lot. It was everything I wanted, minus the technology package; however, I did not care. I was in love with the car itself. Not even a year later and my joy has turned into disappointment. In June of 2017, I started experiencing loud rattling noise coming from the engine. I took my car to my mechanic and was informed that my catalytic converter and manifold were damaged and would need to be repaired. I called GMC customer care to inquiry about any warranties that would fix my car. According to the representative I spoke with they found a warranty that would fix my catalytic converter. He sent my information to FC Kerbeck Buick GMC in Palmyra, New Jersey.

Three weeks passed and I did not hear from the representative from FC Kerbeck. I reached out to the contact he listed, John **; however, John was not available or the person I needed to speak with. The representative also gave me a reference number (**) that no one at FC Kerbeck knew anything about. I was finally sent to a Jason ** who scheduled to bring my vehicle in on July 24, 2017.

After viewing my vehicle, I was informed that repairs were needed to the manifold and it would cost me over $1,000 to fix. This is very unsettling given that I have not had the vehicle for a year. I was contacted by Carmax, who reached out to me regarding my complaint email. I spoke with an Janice **, who asked me to come in and they will see what they can do for my vehicle.

First complaint I have about their services offered through Carmax is, Janice switched my time around and I wasn't aware of this. I arrived to the Carmax location, only to discover I would have to wait 3 hours before my car was even looked at. Janice did try to rectify the situation by giving me a loaner car at no expense to me. She told me that repairs to my car would cost me $400. I was still upset at the price, but after a week of moving some bills around, I decided to move forward with the repairs.

It took Carmax over a week to receive the part needed for my car. I was told that it takes 24 to 48 hours, then I was later informed that they did not finish the process in ordering and there was still some paperwork that needed to be submitted. Repairs were finally completed to my car on 8/24/2017, for a lower cost than anticipated. Janice informed me that a code popped up on my car, but it was a pending code that I shouldn't worry about and it should go away.

Less than 30 minutes of driving my check engine light came on and my car was right back to the way I left it. Nothing was fixed!!! Besides the noise that my car made (which can still be heard) just at a lower volume. I called Carmax and was told to bring the car in again. This is a ridiculous back and forth process that is costing me additional money. I told Janice I feel like I have been sold a Lemon. Her response was, "it is a 2011 and this is why we offer our warranty package". There was no urgency taken in place for my vehicle and very poor customer service. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I drove a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 in Tucson, Arizona in early July 2017 and I was very interested in purchasing it. However, I needed to sell another vehicle first and the dealer told me I could not put a hold on the car. 5 weeks later I sold my car and I followed up to see if the 300 was still available. The dealer said it was and I took my wife down to drive the car again. We drove another car on the lot too for comparison purposes but we preferred the 300. I told the dealer we were very interested and he took my information. I did not even bother asking about a hold since the prior dealer told me I could not place a hold on the car.

We came back the next day (less than 24 hours later) and the dealer told us he was helping another customer but that he would be with us in 15 minutes. Meanwhile, we walked outside to look at the car and it was gone. We asked where the car was and we were told it had been transferred. My wife and I could not believe that in less than 24 hour they transferred the car and did not even bother calling us. The dealer we were working with did even know the car was gone and did not appear to care much. They are obviously unorganized and do not communicate internally and they do not appear to care much about customer service. That was truly the worst car buying experience ever and I will not do business with Carmax ever again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I had a bad experience and CarMax is willing to do nothing to compensate me. I purchased a 2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250, I discovered the vehicle had been painted 2 weeks after the purchase. The vehicle has been presented as never been in an accident but there has been major paint work. I confronted the manager and he wasn't even willing to entertain anything and acted like I was in the wrong for even coming by to discuss the issue. The first girl I talked to acted the same way as well.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Bought a Subaru Outback for $32000 in Burbank, found rat feces and nut shell in engine bay, the navigation option was missing, interior was stained with formula (on window too), cereals in the seats, crumbs in console, all tires were under inflated, oil was overfilled, tires were overused. Returned it to Carmax Reno which put it right back for sale. I witnessed the feces were still in the engine compartment as I was buying the car next to it.

On the second Outback I purchased for the same price just a week later there were 3 cracks in the windshield. The biggest one is in direct line of driver sight and will expand with frost. Police would cite a driver for this. 3 salespeople came to look at it and swore it would be replaced. Today the service department refused. Carmax has rat feces and DOT regulations infringement for standard and it does so knowingly, waiting for the next sucker.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I was just informed by the HNIC at the Columbia SC that I am not allowed to bring my cars in for service anymore simply because I was not satisfied with their service repair attempts. Now out the gate the 09 Mercedes SL63 I purchased had many problems. Dry rotted tires, bad brakes, electrical problems that required 4 battery replacements for the engine, two for the accessories, wire harness, alternator times two, voltage regulator, splash shield, amp, vario roof and the list could go on. So much I was told to stop emailing, which was my paper trail. They have made it sound as if I was at fault when it was the piece of junk they sold me. Continued to tell me just bring it back and I did until after this last time which cost the company almost $10,000.00 to repair by the dealer. And yes I did purchase an extended warranty of which should not have been used because I made them aware of the problem within the first thirty days.

I know the AMG like the palm of my hand so when I saw something that did not look right I made them aware on the spot. The service director Adam had the nastiest attitude like I was at fault. I am sure if I were ** it would have been an entirely different situation. But telling me that I am not allowed to have my cars serviced because of my unsatisfaction with the service department for issues with the car that I did not cause. Anyone old have the very same complaints if their car spent more time in the shop than in my driveway? I asked to have the decision to be presented to me in writing. So far no response.

The area supervisor explained that I do not seem to ever be satisfied therefore they will not service. Of course I am not if work is below par, incomplete, not done at all or not standing behind a promise. More so I paid over $45,000.00 for this vehicle in full including an extended warranty with a $450.00 deductible. I reiterate that the majority of the problems were brought to their attention within the first two weeks after purchase which was during the 30 day bumper to bumper store warranty. I have never experienced having something like this occur related problem found from a recent purchase. They gave me a $450.00 visa gift card to be for all of our issue and also equaled the deductible. Unbelievable!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I purchased a car from (Whitemarsh) Carmax and had the displeasure of dealing with August. This was my first time purchasing a car on my own so I had hoped that my experience was different. I took my parents for support and to ask questions in addition to mine. This car was bought solely by myself. The first time we all sat down to discuss and also test drove the car. He focused mainly on my parents like they were purchasing the car. I blew it off the first encounter. Then my day came to pick my car up. Again, the focus was on my parents and I was even referred to as she as they spoke to them while I sat right there. I went to sign for the loan and additional paperwork and August gave paperwork on a side view mirror that needed to be fixed by Carmax to my father and NOT me.

I just wanted to add that the gentleman who I sat with to fill out the loan was absolutely professional and treated me like the car owner. Even at the end, I had to take the keys out of August's hand while he decided to shake the hands of my parents first and then offered to take a picture of all of us standing next to my new car as if my parents bought me a car. Mind you... I didn't have to do business with Carmax and my first car experience was ruined. Keep August away from me as I'm still deciding whether to just returned the car as August had no issue telling us that he gets a $180 bonus which he doesn't deserve.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I went into the CarMax in Columbia, SC to purchase a car. I had gotten pre-approved prior to going in, so all we needed to do is get my car appraised and close the deal. I was driving a 2016 purchased in 2016. The car is in like new condition with just the normal wear and tear. I went to kbb.com to see what the trade-in value was for the car so I knew what I was looking at financially. I even had my payoff amount. The salesman Robert was great and I would recommend him to anyone BUT the appraisal was so off it wasn't funny. I paid 17,000 for my car less than 18 months prior to the appraisal and they came back with an offer of 7500.00!! I am not sure why they came back with that price, Robert offered to go and find out, but at that point, what did it matter. I thanked him for his time and left. I went to another dealership and was offered 3000.00 more. Pretty sad because they had a definite customer.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

We purchased a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek from them. First the sales rep that we got assigned treated my wife like a second class citizen. He called her my secretary first and then later when I corrected him on that he simply ignored her. When we went for an extended test drive (which requires some additional paperwork to do) he handed me the keys and then, while looking at her, told me that I am the only one that can drive the car. He never even bothered to ask if she wanted to or offer to get her information so she could. We called to get a different salesman and when I asked for a manager was rebuffed by the person on the other line saying "there are none available." My wife called back and asked to speak to a female sales rep. We eventually got transferred to a very nice woman and a female sales manager who helped us with the final purchase.

Carmax refused to allow us to take it to our mechanic before we purchased. So we decided to buy it anyway and then immediately take it to our mechanic for inspection. Their website says "125+ point inspection". Strange that their inspection completely missed the mouse nest in the engine compartment. Wow what an amazing inspection that was. Plus they change the oil on it and did a sloppy job.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I just found out that Carmax sold me a dangerous car where they knew a recall was on it about the air bags and suspensions plus break. I would like to SUE them as they put my own family in danger including myself and others in the road. This company needs to shut down or get a d'hier high FINE from the government and refund me the entire amount I paid plus the interest. I need help and want to fight them until justice is done for everyone who are in the same position than I!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

This is the second vehicle I have bought from Carmax and I will NEVER buy another one. First vehicle had so many problems. I was told they do an inspection on all their vehicles. LIES! The second vehicle I bought 6 months ago has been in the repair shop 4 times. I bought the extended care plan and was told road side assistance wasn't available. Called Carmax roadside assistance and the people were RUDE and unwilling to help. My vehicle won't start and I have to wait 2 hours for someone to arrive. Called about another tow truck, asked rep to find tow truck in the allowed budget, she said that wasn't her job to search around for someone in my price range. WOW!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Carmax sold me a extended warranty, that's totally worthless... Ford had extended their warranty to 100,000 miles... Carmax sold me a warranty that was already covered by Ford and ends at 100,000 miles. They sold me a worthless piece of paper for 1300 dollars. I called them at 60,000 to cancel and was told that I wasn't entitled to any refund... so I just took their word for it. They lied to me, but of course I have no way to prove it.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I sold my 2011 Mitsubishi Spyder with 25000 miles on it to Carmax because I was leaving Florida. I took it to Carmax in Bradenton and the appraiser said that the car would have to be sold at wholesale because of hairline cracks in the dash "Carmax couldn't sell it like that". I took the offer of $7800 because I was leaving in 2 days and was convinced by the dealer that it was barely worth the $7800. 2 working days later I saw the car on their website in Tampa on sale for $15,000. I spoke with the corporate office and was told that they would check it out and call me back within 24 hours... It never happened, but instead the salesman from Tampa called and tried to justify their actions.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and they also were unable to get an acknowledgment of the unethical practice from Carmax. At a minimum I really expected someone in the company to apologize and acknowledge that I had been lied to. Everyone that I spoke with at Carmax had the same condescending attitude, I'll never do business with them again or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Purchased a car from Carmax about a year ago and it had an A/C problem when we did the test drive. Really liked the car and decided to purchase anyway with the promise to fix a/c. Thought the price was a little too high but liked the car and want to go ahead and get it. They kept car for a week to fix A/C problem. Well long story short, it's been a year and still having a problem. Has been into service at least 6 times, so frustrated. Don't think I am going to get much help on trading or money back either. Made a big mistake, needless to say I have not had a good experience.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Buying a car from Carmax at 620 Cross Keys Rd, Sicklerville, NJ 08081 was an experience in incompetence and poor customer service. We found a 2015 Honda Civic located in King of Prussia, PA. We made arrangements online to have the car shipped to the Sicklerville location. It was there the day we arrive to see it. I purchased it, cash. That is the only thing that went well.

Waiting to purchase the car, the sales rep could not process any paperwork because even though the car was on the lot the electronic file was not in the Sicklerville system. We sat there for over an hour and half waiting for the electronic file to be transferred from King Prussia. I chose to register the car myself. After five days passed I went to pick up the title and other paperwork to take to the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles for the tags and title. The staff member in the business office handed me a folder and stated everything is in order for the DMV. The first trip to the DMV the document that transfers the car to me was missing. The car has been transferred from King a Prussia to Sicklerville but not to me. I return to Carmax, for the additional paperwork. They admitted they forgot to include it.

Second trip to the DMV. The clerk notices the information stamped and filled in by the staff at Carmax does not match the bill of sale. (Taxes and purchase price incorrect). Return to Carmax for the third time. Someone in the business offices sees this in my third visit in the same day, takes all the paper makes the corrections and reviews all the documents for correctness. Another person from the business says would you “like a tank of gas for all your trouble.” My response if I had the car with me I would return it to you!

Third trip to the DMV, they too also commented on the incompetence by the Carmax staff. Each trip to the DMV meant standing in endless lines, only to be told 2 times that the paperwork was wrong and I had to return to Carmax. I spent a day going back and forth to Carmax and the DMV due to the lack of training or attention to detail by the staff at Carmax.

The manager never introduced him or herself, while we were waiting for the transfer of files to purchase the car. Nor did he or she approach me on this day when I was trying to settle the registration of the car. No apologies, explanation or offer of services except for tank of gas. I bought this car for my son. I have bought a number of cars over the years. I never had such a negative experience or such an unapologetic group of individuals. I will never recommend Carmax to anyone nor will I ever consider buying a car from such an unprofessional group of individuals.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Went to CarMax in St Peters. Typical 30 min appraisal (I sold a truck to them 2 months ago). Disclosed left rear quarter panel damage and replacement with no airbag deployment. Auto check was clean with no reported accidents. Car KBB 15000. They offered $7000 claiming that there was frame damage. I had pictures of the repair and there was no frame damage. They claimed that the car was a unibody and that a fender was part of the frame. This is **. I told them it was ** but they stuck by their story and tried to screw me. DO NOT USE THESE CROOKS. DISHONEST AND VERY MUCH LIKE ALL CAR DEALERS. If they didn't want the car then fine. Just don't try to ** me. I will never have any dealings with these lightweights again and will tell 100 of my friends what crooks they are.

Original review: July 17, 2017

So my husband and I recently purchased a 2015 Dodge Journey. 30k miles on it and we have made 5 payments. The car has been in the shop 4 times leaving me stranded on the side of the road with 3 small children the 1st month we had it! Now we've had it in the shop three more times for emissions problems and they can't even figure out what's causing the problem so they had to call in Dodge's Star team. They have now had our car for a week. Still can't get it figured out. Granted we got a rental as we should but we put $4,000 down on this car for it to be a reliable family vehicle and so far it has not been that.

I know that CarMax brags about their 4.0 inspections or what have you but somebody sure didn't do enough checking out on this car! When we talked to CarMax corporate all they want to do is try to get you in another vehicle. I put $4,000 down and they only want to give me $1,000 equity and then try to get us in different car or something else that's more reliable which is bull crap! I definitely don't recommend CarMax if you're looking for a good dependable used family vehicle!! All they did was take my money and leave me with a crappy vehicle and I don't know about you but $4,000 is hard for us to come up with when you have a family of 5! I feel completely ripped off. I don't recommend CarMax or Dodge Journey to anyone. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else!

Original review: July 17, 2017

I came to CarMax (21636 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77449) to sell my old car. They promised to evaluate the car... I was very surprised when the appraiser did not even want to see the car, he also refused to look at auto-related documents. He asked only a year and a mileage. And the estimate was immediately ready in his head - 2,000 dollars. One day prior to that, I conducted a thorough market research and concluded that the market price for such a car should be at least $6,000. I understand that everyone wants to make money, but not in such an impudent way... (I expected at least 3,500). Besides, the appraiser behaved as if there was a complete moron in front of him. I thought CarMax honors its reputation and respects its clients. All the companies that I respect do everything to earn loyalty of the customer, for example, Amazon.com. All this in the long term is reflected in the company's financial statements. It's sad that CarMax does not care.

Original review: July 8, 2017

When we went to the Carmax here in Greensboro, NC we had seen the commercials and thought that it would be a great place to sell my car. We get there, are greeted and sit down to go over the car's specs and are told that it will take about 30 minutes and that we could go look at other cars on the lot. We see one that looks just like mine, same mileage and year, and also in great condition just like mine, set at $15,699. 30 minutes go by and we go back inside to look over the offer made, they offered $5,000! Lowest offer we have ever received and they won't even work with you on the offer unlike other dealers. They explain how great our car is and how well it would sell and in all at the end we learned they just wanted to screw us out of our car and leave us with no money to even get another. We left with no car sold and very very poor service! Would never ever recommend to anyone! DO NOT GO HERE!

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have been buying my cars from Carmax until I had the most unforgettable experience with them. I had my CRV fix for the struts replace and after they fix it my radio was not working anymore. First the service department lied to me then the manager for the service department connive with them and won't fix my radio and back up camera. I told them it was working when I came in the service department and after that it is not working anymore. They would lie to you to protect their employees and they would fabricate stories. I am so disappointed and it will be last time buying from Carmax. They won't fix my radio and they want me to shoulder half of the cost which is so ridiculous.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Do not EVER sell them your car. Yes it's easy and you can walk away with a check immediately, but it's a total rip-off. You can more just about everywhere else. When I went to sell them the same car I bought from them, they said the frame was bent and had clamp marks on it. Their common phrase. They should be arrested for lying. Yes, someone sideswiped the back fender of my car, so there was probably a Carfax report. But it was minor and I had the scratches buffed out. NO damage. If what they were saying was true, then they told me a wrecked car to begin with.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Recently my wife and I went to CarMax in Albuquerque and purchased a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 75K miles. The truck looked like a cherry but it was in New Jersey so we had to pay $800 (non-refundable) to bring the truck to Albuquerque. They made a big deal about how they would inspect it at the dealer in NJ and let us know if there were any problems, which they said "No it passed our inspection." The truck arrived and it was very nice looking... clean with very few little dings.

Fortunately, we took it to our Toyota dealer with whom we have had a longtime relationship. Within 5 minutes our guy said "I have bad news." As it turns out a good portion of the chassis and frame was rusting out and he told us it would be a major problem within 1-2 years, at which point it would be structurally unsound. In fact, he told us that they had a record that Toyota warned the one previous owner that the chassis was dangerously rusted and would be unsafe to drive in the near future. I guess he unloaded it on CarMax.

We took it back within the 5 day refund window and the deal was canceled without much ado, which is the only reason I gave them 2 stars instead of 1. When we asked about their "inspection" we were told that the "inspectors" bang on the underside with a hammer to see how much "surface rust" falls off. Seriously? Our guy knew within 5 minutes that the truck was soon to be dangerous to drive. I find it hard to believe that CarMax did not also know there was a problem, either from their "inspection" or service records, which they make a big deal out of but turn out to be either incomplete or only partially reported. I will be contacting the State of New Mexico Attorney General to file a complaint of fraud and misrepresentation by CarMax and request our transfer fee back. Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware!

Carmax Company Information