Find a Car Dealerships partner

Carmax

3.5/5 (350 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Carmax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

We went to several dealerships. The most any of them would offer me for my 2014 M-B SLK with only 14K miles was $17K & $1.5K for my 2009 Cobalt with 70K miles while wanting Blue Book or more for the SRX we wanted to buy.. Carmax offered $22K for the M-B & $2.5 K for the Cobalt which was exactly what I wanted for both of them AND we got exactly what we wanted in a low mileage SRX for a very reasonable price. We went to them last because I’ve always been a wheeler dealer when it comes to negotiating car purchases buying for thousands less than the asking price. I didn’t need to at Carmax because they gave me what I wanted for my trade ins & sold me a car for a reasonable price. I’m 70 so this is probably my bucket list car but I would strongly urge anyone else looking to at least give them an opportunity.

Original review: July 11, 2021

This was the first time purchasing a 2nd hand car that wasn't through an authorized dealership. What drew me to these sorts of online dealerships because their catalog is completely online, so I was able to sort out what I was interested in without the hassle of dealing with a used car salesman at a physical location. In addition, most of the online car dealerships have pretty good value propositions, like 30-day return, 90-day warranty, etc.

I did my extensive research between CarMax, Carvana, and Vroom, and although they all offer pretty much the same policies, I chose CarMax because they had more physical dealerships where you can ship the car you like to test drive before you buy the car. The cost of the car transfer is not redeemable upon purchase, but to me, that was a fair price to pay to make sure the car is without "surprises."

The car took about a week to arrive (SF to LA), and I was able to do a 24-hour test drive. This is another great value proposition most other dealerships don't have that I found useful. I was able to take it to the freeway and back to my home to see how it fits in my garage. I went back after 3 hours and bought the car. After a week my car started making noises whenever I backed up. I took it back to CarMax (the one near mine has a service center) and they fixed it in a day. Also, they provide free Lyft rides, which is convenient so you don't need to wait at the shop. Since the repair was within the 90 day warranty period, they replaced the brakes free of charge. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and will return if I ever look for another 2nd hand car. Below are some unrelated notes you may find useful:

- CarMax has an optional 5 year warranty plan.
- Only vroom cold called once you registered an account with them. All of them will call you if you did a pre-qualification with them.
- CarMax was started by Circuit City, in '93 I believe (experience).
- When you request the 24-hour test drive, sales will push you to buy and use the return policy instead. Resist if you are not sure since opening a financing account will affect your credit score.

- Check your tire PSI (mine had 40 psi in the front right and 30 in the others), motor oil, replace air filters after you buy your 2nd hand car.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2021

So I want to start off by saying that I researched CarMax, and other online car dealers 4 months before I made the decision to finally purchase. I read a lot of reviews that were very disheartening, and made me question whether or not my decision was sound. In the end I chose CarMax simply because the amount of negative reviews in recent history was much lower than those of their competitors. Finding the car on their website or in the app is fairly simple, and securing a transfer was all so simple. My transfer was free, that way I did not have to pay anything out of pocket to be able to see the vehicle that I wanted.

Once they had the vehicle it was about 6 days until I was able to view the vehicle and test drive it. During that time they again inspect the vehicle and clean the vehicle, making sure that it's ready. When I got to the dealership, my vehicle was still a little dirty, and I voiced my opinion that to the salesperson that I had and he offered to try and take care of the problem to the best of their ability. I've had the car for over a week now, and I'm very happy with my purchase from CarMax. Everything has been smooth, and the vehicle is just as promised on the website. There were a couple of digital scratches that were not pictured in the app, but they are not enough for me to be unhappy. I will keep it is updated if there happens to be any pickups, but as of right now I am definitely recommending CarMax as a place to shop and buy a used car.

Original review: April 4, 2021

We were looking to upgrade one of our current vehicles with a newer and more luxurious car. As the car we were looking to get rid of was a sedan that is what we decided to look for. Not fully understanding Carmax we let a very nice Cadillac get by us by not having it shipped to the Reno Carmax store. After researching Carmax more we spotted a Lincoln Continental in California that would be shipped to Reno for no charge and a test drive. After a paperwork glitch we were able to arrange a test drive and I really liked the car but it was a little more than I wanted to pay.

Well after attempting to get the price lowered to no no avail we decided this was the car for us and we traded our Buick in and purchased the Lincoln. Which, by the way was our first Ford product in more than 25 years. Overall we are pleased with the Car and Carmax. Will definitely look to them next time we are in the market for a car.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Travis ** is the most amazing sales person at Carmax in Dayton, Ohio! When I arrived at the Dayton CarMax Travis looked clean and professional and greeted me with a smile. I went in on a miserable cold winter evening not knowing what kind of car I wanted. Travis walked the entire HUGE lot with me, happy to let me sit in every car I asked about. He was very knowledgeable and we were quickly able to narrow my search. He's got a great memory so he helped me remember what I liked and didn't like. Over several weeks he located various vehicles for me, had them transferred, and set me up for 24 hour test drives. I am very picky and Travis had extreme patience. Travis always promptly returned my texts, phone calls, and emails. Travis always made sure the vehicles I wanted to see were clean and warmed up when I arrived for my scheduled pick up time.

When I wanted to compare a Lexus RX 350 base trim to an F Sport, Travis went above and beyond and had them both cleaned and parked side by side for me to easily compare the two trims. Travis is not the typical pushy/annoying car sales person. Travis is easy to work with and truly listens to his clients. I am delighted with my car shopping experience with Travis ** at the Car Max in Dayton, Ohio! If you are shopping for a vehicle, it's worth your drive to the Dayton, Ohio Car Max to have the pleasure of working with Travis **. -Susan C. Springboro, Ohio

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

First Carmax ran my credit to over 30 banks. Dropping my credit score. Their customer service is terrible. They never return your calls. I will never deal with carmax again. The managers are very nasty people.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I was a New Widow and had never did a major purchase without my husband. I needed a car and was nervous about car shopping alone. Carmax didn't make me feel like I needed to bring a Man or mechanic to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off. I felt I could make a educated decision because everything was laid out upfront, even future repairs are handled on site.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I bought a vehicle from CARMAX and requested a remote starter installed in the vehicle. I got a flat tire and tried to loosen valve stem cap and inadvertently broke the valve stem on the flat. I went to Toyota and bought a new valve stem and installed it; however, the computer would not reset to accept the new valve stem. I tried several other mechanic shops and they could reset the computer. I was so frustrated and took back vehicle to Toyota and they said the problem was because the remote starter had been installed incorrectly which interfered with the vehicle’s computer and this caused the computer’s inability to accept the reset.

I took vehicle back to CARMAX to correct the problem with the improperly installed remote starter. I still have the vehicle and most recently the remote starter doesn’t always start the vehicle. I have called CARMAX several times and left messages but no one has ever responded. Last Saturday (8/28), I went back to CARMAX since I have not heard from anyone and Service Department is closed. I explained the problem and was given the Service Mgr’s business (Andrew **) to email him about the problem. He responded that they do no install remote starters and provided the name of a company in Plainville, MA that I should contact to get help with the remote starter. I am utterly frustrated and need help to resolve this problem with my remote starter. I could never refer anyone to doing any business (buy or sell) with CARMAX in this lifetime. I repeat - Beware of CARMAX. Vasta ** Milton, MA

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Very professional, knowledgeable, treating me like family. The dealership had the COVID protocol intact. The salesman’s did not make me feel like it was just a deal but really listened and took what I was saying into consideration. The dealership in Woodbridge Virginia is a class act dealership. Kudos to Carmax.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Do not buy the CarMax extended warranties. They are weasels and will "fine print" you out of covering the repairs they claim to cover. Four years ago, I purchased my third vehicle from CarMax, an Audi Q5, along with a MaxCare warranty. On July 24th of this year, my wife and son got stuck on the side of Afton Mounting going to Harrisonburg, VA because the engine of the Audi Q5 blew up. Luckily, despite being stuck on the shoulder of a mountain road, neither she nor our son was hurt. After spending the weekend picking up my family, I had the car towed to the nearest dealer to be repaired. I assumed that this was the end of our harrowing experience. However, I had not started dealing with MaxCare, yet.

The dealer called MaxCare the following week with the repair information and was told MaxCare denied the claim. When I purchased my car from CarMax, the sales associate told me that “people love the MaxCare warranty.” Well, I certainly don’t. Dealing with MaxCare has been nothing short of a catastrophic failure, exactly the kind of failure that our car experienced, and exactly the kind of failure I expect a warranty to cover. My claim was denied twice by MaxCare. On top of the fact that CarMax sold a car that blew up after only being driven 45,000 miles, I spent three weeks trying to get the car repaired. This is completely unacceptable. I bought the MaxCare warranty for “peace of mind” not for “added stress and aggravation.”

The Audi clearly experienced an engine failure that should be covered by the “comprehensive” warranty. The car had been serviced by Audi of Richmond and Delta V Auto and was up to date on all scheduled maintenance. I understand that the repairs will be expensive. But if CarMax doesn’t want to cover repairs for an Audi, then either 1) don’t sell the vehicle or 2) don’t sell insurance. Weaseling out of your responsibility is a horrible way to treat your loyal customers. Don't waste your money on the worthless MaxCare warranty.

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Carmax Company Information