3.6/5 (562 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About CarMax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

CarMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: May 26, 2022

I leased a new car, so I had to sell my old Subaru Forester 2019. Checked on the internet, submitted car info to three well-known companies, got quotes from them. CarMax offered more so I decided to go there to see if they really good. Located in Edison NJ, just one hour drive from home. They are open from 11 am, by 11:10 I was already talking to the very nice, friendly and competent lady Nicky **. She checked the paperwork, car, took all photos, filled out many forms on a little slow computer system and confirmed the price quote (all thankfully was in order, all documents presented).

We signed more papers, she took car keys, removed and returned to me plates and by 12:05 pm I had all my copies and bank check and was ready to go! Not my first car, but never before I seen such efficiency and friendliness from any sales person. Their facility was looking brand new, airy and spotless. And with the sales persons like Nicky clients and management must be very happy. Place and company to go! 5 stars.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had been looking at replacing my 2003 Honda Toaster (Element) with a newer AWD vehicle. I really liked the Nissan Juke. The problem was there were only 3 here in Spokane, WA. All of them needed to have work done on them before they could be drove for a test drive. Also none of them were the high end SL model. I found a one owner with 94K miles at CarMax in Oregon. I paid $99 to have it shipped to the Spokane CarMax. It took less than a week to get here and be ready for a test drive. I bought it and later I kept hearing a popping noise when I would start out and turn right. I called CarMax service, took it in and they replace the front struts. At no charge to me. It was covered under the 90 day warranty.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I want to say that Carmax was a awesome experience!! I tried buying a car from Carvana starting January and heard lots of delays and excuses and event had the car registered and received a title for the car but never got the car!! Carmax was awesome. Mike in Sales was very helpful and patient. He answered all my questions and when I finally ordered the car it was transported from where it was and arrived 2 weeks early. I went to pick it up today and was floored on how helpful the sales staff was!! The car was way better than expected and I was soo Happy! They are great to do business with. I would recommend them for anyone looking for a car!! Thanks Carmax for the best experiance ever buying a car!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

We went to several dealerships. The most any of them would offer me for my 2014 M-B SLK with only 14K miles was $17K & $1.5K for my 2009 Cobalt with 70K miles while wanting Blue Book or more for the SRX we wanted to buy.. Carmax offered $22K for the M-B & $2.5 K for the Cobalt which was exactly what I wanted for both of them AND we got exactly what we wanted in a low mileage SRX for a very reasonable price. We went to them last because I’ve always been a wheeler dealer when it comes to negotiating car purchases buying for thousands less than the asking price. I didn’t need to at Carmax because they gave me what I wanted for my trade ins & sold me a car for a reasonable price. I’m 70 so this is probably my bucket list car but I would strongly urge anyone else looking to at least give them an opportunity.

Original review: July 11, 2021

This was the first time purchasing a 2nd hand car that wasn't through an authorized dealership. What drew me to these sorts of online dealerships because their catalog is completely online, so I was able to sort out what I was interested in without the hassle of dealing with a used car salesman at a physical location. In addition, most of the online car dealerships have pretty good value propositions, like 30-day return, 90-day warranty, etc.

I did my extensive research between CarMax, Carvana, and Vroom, and although they all offer pretty much the same policies, I chose CarMax because they had more physical dealerships where you can ship the car you like to test drive before you buy the car. The cost of the car transfer is not redeemable upon purchase, but to me, that was a fair price to pay to make sure the car is without "surprises."

The car took about a week to arrive (SF to LA), and I was able to do a 24-hour test drive. This is another great value proposition most other dealerships don't have that I found useful. I was able to take it to the freeway and back to my home to see how it fits in my garage. I went back after 3 hours and bought the car. After a week my car started making noises whenever I backed up. I took it back to CarMax (the one near mine has a service center) and they fixed it in a day. Also, they provide free Lyft rides, which is convenient so you don't need to wait at the shop. Since the repair was within the 90 day warranty period, they replaced the brakes free of charge. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and will return if I ever look for another 2nd hand car. Below are some unrelated notes you may find useful:

- CarMax has an optional 5 year warranty plan.
    - Only vroom cold called once you registered an account with them. All of them will call you if you did a pre-qualification with them.
    - CarMax was started by Circuit City, in '93 I believe (experience).
    - When you request the 24-hour test drive, sales will push you to buy and use the return policy instead. Resist if you are not sure since opening a financing account will affect your credit score.

- Check your tire PSI (mine had 40 psi in the front right and 30 in the others), motor oil, replace air filters after you buy your 2nd hand car.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I just purchased my 4th Care from my local CarMax. I have always dreaded buying cars. However, each time I received care from CarMax it has been a fast easy experience. I have always felt I got a fair price, it only took about 2hrs max. Maybe, more importantly, none of the cars I have gotten from them have ever had mechanical problems. They have run great. I will almost certainly buy my next care from them as well.

Original review: June 15, 2022

At 8:18AM on 6/14/22, I executed an online reservation and transfer request for an SUV from Ontario to Escondido CA. I received a confirmation email from Carmax at 8:14AM that I had indeed reserved the vehicle. After spending at least an hour on the phone with financing and sales, at 11:15AM on 6/15/22 (+24hrs later) I was informed that another customer was in store and purchased the vehicle at the same time as I was going through the process of reserving it.

This made no sense as the store where the vehicle was located didn't open until 10AM. The reasoning for this excuse was that a reservation email doesn't mean the reservation is confirmed, it only means that you requested a reservation, which may not be processed for several hours after the request is made. Long story short, this is an unacceptable customer experience and is misleading to allow customers to seemingly complete a reservation online only to have it mean nothing if Carmax cannot confirm any details for several hours.

Original review: June 11, 2022

I rated this company very low for the simple fact that during my car buying experience with this location 6375 S Semoran Blvd Orlando FL 32822 with the salesman, **, the Manager ** when I picked up my vehicle on 05/21/2022 was with the Retail Service Contract that no one cared enough to explain to me and go over every detail of that contract with me prior to my purchase and pickup.

Now all I am being told is about the 7 day return or the 30 day, well that is not my issue here nor is it something I want to do, my problem here, and everyone that I've tried to get a better understanding of why do they feel that I should be fraudulently made to pay for a used vehicle twice the price cost of that said vehicle, which after 72 months I will have paid over $36,000 for a car that only cost $17,548.99 at the start all because of low credit score, that does not matter, how can you legally charge double for a car that can be paid off in 4 years, versus 6 at the price the car is not even worth. I know people that I have not paid that kind of a price, and even with low credit score for a brand new vehicle and to date, everyone that I speak with is glossing over the real fact of my concern and just keep telling me to bring the car back.

I need my vehicle to get to work, grocery shopping, pharmacy to name a few, my question and concern is how can you as a company that claims to care about the customer, make the car shopping experience less stressful when that is further from the truth. Being that I have dealt with CarMax years ago and brought a vehicle that I do not ever recall being treated in this manner, what I feel is that CarMax and the financing company American Credit Acceptance blindsided me and sold a car, just to make commission by any means necessary, without care, to the customer who lives on a budget of which I made that clear at the start legally do this, this APR is 26.66%. It is ludicrous to do something like this, nothing to mention, unprofessional, unethical, and unfair trade business practices. Credit Acceptance makes money by charging dealers large fees for providing financing for cars.

The problem is, these dealers would have to advertise the price of the car at much higher prices than their competitors are doing online, so they do not advertise the price that they would actually charge. Instead, what usually happens is that a buyer's finds a car they like online, with a good price, and they arrive at the dealership. After their credit run, the finance manager usually either (1) explains that due to financing through Credit Acceptance, there are large bank fees that have to be passed on to the customer, and that will cause the price to increase; or (2) the finance manager does not tell the buyer of the price increases, and just puts the increased price on the sales and finance paperwork without telling the buyer. And all of this is how I feel and although I purchase this time, I do not feel that I will ever deal with CarMax and its shady practices again.

I am reaching out to the Attorney General office and the Consumer Financing site also to voice my concerns. What would make this situation different from me is to re-do the contract to reveal and therefore make it where I am paying for a vehicle once, not twice. Between the increased finance charging and the terms of 72 months and what they are charging me is not right and I want some answers. I have already read, made myself heard when talking to others about this company business practices. When I contacted ACA on 05/27/2022 Tameka ** is the representative that I spoke with after I was not getting any where with CarMax was that ACA did not place that High APR of 26.66%, CarMax did and it seems that every one is simply passing the buck and not yet explaining my concerns here, how would you feel if this was you.

I am a 1 person household, living on a budget of which I clearly explain at the start but that fell on deaf ears, all the salesman cared about was making that commission and sale, bump the fact that this is overwhelming for the customer, whom they claim to care about. Most car buyers who finance their used car with CAC have a low credit score and a lower income. Because of this, dealerships, salesmen and finance managers often prey on these buyers. These buyers are often taken advantage of by being told what car they can purchase, what price they must pay, the interest rate they must pay, and are often forced to purchase a warranty. Because these buyers have fewer options of where and what to buy, they are victimized by predatory dealers who know how to take advantage.

Dealers CANNOT increase an advertised price to pass along Credit Acceptance bank fees or finance charges that are often thousands of dollars to customers, which cause the price and financing costs to increase significantly, sometimes by over $100/month. It appears and I've did my research about this that American Credit Acceptance charges the dealership a large bank fee, the dealer was passing the bank fee or finance charge onto the buyer. Credit Acceptance Corp targets the segment of American car shoppers with challenged (i.e. sub-prime) credit. The challenge is this:

(1) the number 1 goal of a car dealer is to sell a car

(2) the number 2 goal of a car dealer is to sell the car at the highest possible margin

Many buyers trust that the friendly finance manager will be honest and put down the price that was advertised or that was already discussed. However, that is rarely the case. Considering the interests of the car dealer and how most car shoppers get their loans, no wonder Americans are overpaying on their interest rates, right? More so, I feel that and I alleged that American Credit Acceptance made unfair and deceptive auto loans, including placing the blame of all this with CarMax dealership. I am personally taking a close look at this industry and we will not allow companies to profit by violating our laws and exploiting consumers.”

Also, borrowers were subject to hidden finance charges because of which the company’s loans exceeded the usury rate involving this high APR 26.66% and want me as a consumer to just accept the fact that my credit score is low, yes I know this, and it can happen to anybody, we all go thru certain things, but that still does not give you the right to sneak it in on me and make me feel that this reason justifies the fact that you are scamming unsuspecting hard working consumers like myself and it just some how goes away, well guess what, that is not going to happen with me until I get and see some changes with this contract, this deal is shady at best.

This deal is indeed nothing short than deceptive lending practices and because the customer needs a vehicle, they are taken advantage of. I will like for someone to come clean, be professional about this and make sure to explain how is charging double for a vehicle in price, a used one at that, just because of a challenging credit score, place yourself into my shoes. This experience has been a nightmare to say the least and I will not ever deal with CarMax again and I wish for everyone to know how I was treated and I see clearly thru what happen to me for I am no dummy about this.

Original review: June 10, 2022

This is my third CarMax vehicle purchase and I must say that this time was very pleasant. My salesperson, Mr. Levin ** was very knowledge and friendly. The process took around 4 hours and I am happy with my new vehicle. I was given a fair trade offer and I would definitely purchase another vehicle from CarMax in the future.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Please consider twice when choosing to do business with this company and this location specifically. I will not document my experience in details as it was one of the worse customer experiences I have ever had in my 62 trips around the sun. If I could give negative stars I would. Situation: Selling my car to them via online quote. I setup an appointment (arrived early), had all the documentation and nearly 6 hours later and I swear 10 different people, I finally was walking out the door! Staff: All seemed friendly but no one and I mean NO ONE took ownership of my visit, leads me to the process....

Process: On a 1-10 scale of bad to good -1000. I was handed off multiple times and each time I had to go seek out someone to get an update. Too many hands touched the process and the communication to me was, well, non existent. When I tried to track down the "last person" who I talked to, they were either nowhere to be found or left for the day.

When I thought it was on the last person, we were reviewing/singing the last documents and behold, they were paying me 10K more than they should have (they had the pay off amount wrong). After being the 5 hours I almost just ignored it and was going to take the money.....but, being an honest person, I could not do that - so back to the drawing board, and I was delayed again. Now, one would think they would have "thanked me" for catching THEIR 10K mistake, but no one person said thanks, in fact the last person I was with, when I stated I was not falsifying anything/fraud and could have walked out the door, she said and I quote "that would not have been your fraud, it would have been ours"...what???

So I decided to reach out to the corp office to let them know and well, the local office must be following the corporate "example"....They replied, did not even thank me for the 10K catch.... This was the best they came back with.... "I promise you that I will share your experience with our senior leadership teams so that we can make sure we take this feedback into account and provide it to the right teams to make sure that this does not become our norm."

I waited a MONTH to see if "senior leadership" would reach out, you guessed it, crickets, so I let them know (after a month) I was going to let the world/social media know and warn anyone I can to NEVER do business with this company, unless you want to waste hours of your time needlessly and get very frustrated, even when you "follow them" in their ridiculous "process".

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

CarMax Company Information