Carmax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Needing to downsize from my F-150 Super Crew, I decided to use CarMax, as they had been very good to my friend when she bought her car. I found the car I wanted online, and scheduled a test drive. I liked the car, and the salesman was very straightforward with me. Being from Canada, I was a little concerned they wouldn't want my Canadian trade-in, but was assured it wouldn't be an issue. After all, I imported my truck through CBP, was granted DOT approval to import, and was allowed to register my truck in Utah (which meant it was properly imported).

I returned the next day with my truck for an appraisal. After completing all the necessary paperwork to purchase my new (used) car, the appraiser came back and said there was an issue with my truck. He said it couldn't be used as a trade-in, as it wasn't properly imported. I was taken aback and quite angry. In my immigration paperwork, it was quite clear... you MUST obtain DOT approval, show your vehicle is compliant with US EPA standards (which I did), and clear CBP. If you do not follow these steps, you will not be able to insure or license your vehicle in the US.

They said they couldn't buy my vehicle, but couldn't explain to me how to ensure it was properly imported. Right there, I walked out. If you're telling me that it's not imported correctly, then tell me how you know that so I can correct it. It turns out, the Carfax indicated I had structural damage (I wasn't aware of), which was pointed out to me at another dealership (who had NO issues accepting my vehicle as a trade-in).

Because of the dishonesty the appraiser showed me at Carmax, I will never shop there, and will recommend to everyone to avoid them. If they had just been forthcoming with me, I probably still would have bought the car I was looking at, and would have probably accepted their low-ball offer on my trade-in. Seriously, honesty goes a very, VERY, long way. The only one I had any respect for was the salesman.

I bought a car in 2015 from the Carmax on Atlantic Blvd. I also paid for the "mycare" from them, I totaled my car in Nov 2016. I have been trying to contact them about the payoff and refunds for the "Mycare" that they offer and no one knows anything!!!! They send you through 15 different people to be told different things from each. They don't care about you trying to figure everything out after you have given them their money. I was also informed about three weeks ago my check would be put in the mail and I would receive it within 5 days. Now today, I called again because I have yet to receive my check, the lady informs me it was only mailed on the 25th of November. I WILL NEVER spend a penny at a Carmax again!!!!

GAP Insurance product of Carmax is a total rip off!!! It is marketed as supplemental insurance to cover the difference between pay off your auto insurance pays in the case of a total lost. Carmax uses the company Safe Guard to handle the GAP insurance. The agent there accused me of late payment which was ridiculous since I have automatic bank draft, then he told me they used my Max Care balance to pay off the loan. That's what I bought GAP for! Don't buy from Carmax!

I made an appointment to see a specific used car. When I got there, the salesman had not even bothered to make sure the car would start. The battery was dead. He tried to get me to test drive a newer model that was several thousand dollars more. Will never go there again.

The reason for this review is for our sales person Brittany ** of the Carmax located in Fairfield, CA. She went over and beyond. There was a slight complication with the car we bought. Everything was taken care of to my ultimate satisfaction. I ended up with the same car but a yr newer with less miles. Brittany had to relate between us and management and made it all fall into place beautifully. Lastly I'd like to add I shopped for about 6 mos for a used car. I walked into Carmax not expecting anything special but it in fact was quite special. The process is so easy. I don't know why anybody would shop for a used vehicle anywhere else. Once you find your car it literally takes 5 mins and YOU get to pick the bank and rate you want. I'll never go anywhere else for a used car unless it's a Carmax. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

This all started in may 2014. I was in need of a new car as someone hit me and totaled my beloved 2008 Pontiac Vibe awd. After checking out my regular dealerships and realizing with two cars still under my name that no one would finance me as the insurance company didn't pay off the wrecked car yet I ended up at Carmax with approved credit. Should have been the first red flag. Why would anyone allow someone to have 1200 in car loans a month on a average income. I ended up buying a 2012 Nissan Sentra SR Special edition. I was in and out with the car in less than a hour. I did test drive it but it was raining. The Carfax was clear. That weekend I noticed a 2' crack in the windshield and strange noises coming from the suspension, brakes, and AC. I was at a out of town family wedding but the next week I took it in. When I took it in they wrote off ask the sounds as the abs check.

I had to argue with them to finally check a appointment with Safelite for the window. The day of my appointment they tried saying it was just a scratch even though I could put my credit card in it and it get stuck. I again argued with the management and finally they rescheduled and repaired. Within the 30 days I was back 2 other times with the strange noises - wagon noises, loud transmission and AC, and squeaky brakes. Both times they said the car was fine, but would extend the 30 day warranty 6 months. I soon decided to get the car certified at Nissan. They found bad barely passing breaks, bad suspension, and said the transmission was fine. I asked them to repair the suspension and brakes under the warranty to find out the car was out of warranty 3 days after I bought it. Carmax at told me I was good until 36000 miles, the car only had 24,000.

Found out that the car was sold in summer of 2011 and hit the 3 year mark voiding all warranties but the power train. Makes sense that Nissan would say the transmission was ok until in completely went. Since I was still in the 6 month extension I till the findings back to Carmax. They said they would not fix the issues so I filled a complaint with the BBB on which Carmax denied my claims. Funny thing is the BBB is on the same street as Carmax corporate and Carmax is owned by Circuit City. The same company that shut all their stores down and was known for shady open box fees. I ended up paying 2000 to get the brakes and suspension fixed. The AC still rattles and the transmission sometimes stalls on hills and sounds like a dying animal. Most recently I looked under the car to find the whole exhaust system rusting and needing replaced at the tune of 1000 dollars.

Also a few months ago I replaced my cabin filter and engine filter. Both were black. The cabin filter required removal of interior panels that had price gun stickers from a junk yard. I also found price gun stickers on the wheels and the exterior mirrors. There is silver over spray on the rear side windows molding and the rear bumper paint doesn't match. The car came from new York, was sent to auction and sent to Carmax Lancaster. I went to Lancaster acting like I was buying a car and selected cars I saw on the site that were not on the lot, knew they were on the back lot. Got the salesman to take me back to where they fix the cars up.

They were literally in pieces. Lancaster is a regional distribution center for Carmax and the Mechanicsburg, PA store where I bought my car. When I asked Carmax for my service records from my first 30 days they started they didn't have them and that they didn't keep them because they were not a "certified repair center." I picked Carmax because of their worry free slogans and selection. Unfortunately they are selling cars that barely passed inspection, warranty is only 30 days, and are doing some very shady things. Customer service is very poor. I recommend avoiding this company at all costs.

I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX from Carmax with an extended warranty. The service rear axle light came on. I took the car in to Cadillac. Carmax even sent an inspector out to see the car. From the very start they tried every hoop and trick they could to avoid having to stand behind the warranty they sell. This company is corrupt. I'd never do business with them again. What's the point of buying an extended warranty if the company won't stand behind it. They should be fined and put out of business. I've had many extended warranties. No company ever failed to honor its extended warranty before. Lesson learned. Stay away from Carmax crew.

Bought a car from CarMax in 2013. The sales part was great. The Guy was very honest. He seemed to be truthful. Well after I got It home I found out It had been In a wreck. They did not tell me about this. They further stated they knew nothing of this accident. To make a long story short I was told "too bad Its past the 30 days". It cost me almost 2000.00 to fix all the problems with the front end (where it was hit). The Operation Manager truly did not care nor did he want to do anything. He in fact just walked away and left me standing in the parking lot. I will not use CarMax again ever.

I went in on a Saturday and apparently they had a power outage going on so I strolled throughout the parking lot and was there a good hour with a salesman and then was told the power was back on. Went in Sat another hour getting approved, test drove the car, got approved, had my $1000 down payment ready to make the following Monday then... WAALAAA! Sorry sir we had a "Computer Glitch" we can't sell you a car. After all this I sat through now you tell me that your high tech computer had a glitch! Go buy your car elsewhere I highly recommend it!

I bought a 2010 Toyota Sienna. When I got the van home I noticed that there was a small leak on the transmission. I took it back into CarMax within the 30-day warranty that they give you and ask them to fix it. I also said the van smells really funny. They change the cabin filter but they would not repair the leak underneath claiming that it was not dripping even though it was.

A year-and-a-half later as I'm trying to sell the van I have now lost the sale of $16,000 due to their mechanic saying that the transmission is leaking and needs to be repaired to the tune of $2,400. I called CarMax back today to explain to them the situation and see if they would now help out and they said they have no documentation on me bringing the van to them. They said I could bring it in and have it fixed under the car warranty that I had purchased but they said there was no guarantee that the seal would be covered. It is the only vehicle I will ever purchase from them and do not recommend doing business with them.

It's like car salesmen think they can be your lecturer and parent and smartass. It's like they think we all oughta have a car in the suburbs. So it's okay to just be ** to customers. On my first trip there one guy calls me a princess and says mockingly, "Oh my want me to get the door for you?" I'm just like, "Oh want me to do your hair... I'm sure your wife does it for you." Then this one other salesman acts like a retard at my appointment to discuss cars. He sort of acts like he does not hear what I'm saying. I say my social security ends in 4300. He's just like, "Oh like umm you mean 7800?" Then he purposely goes out of his way to show me a car I would really like. He say oh I can totally have it. And then he text me on my way home, "Oh that car you want. Yeah, just released it to someone else".

We took our 2008 nissan in for ac repairs covered under an extended warranty. The repair required the dash be removed. When we got the car back there were cracks in the dash which were not there before. The service dept. did call us while the car was there (over a week) and said there were cracks before the repairs. When we picked up the car we could not believe what we saw, the cracks were very visible and definitely not there before. We expressed our concerns to the service dept. and it was their word against ours. They denied doing the damage and would not make it right. Leaving us stuck and very dissatisfied. To replace the dash is 2500.00 to 3000.00. The car and warranty are under my fiancee's name, cheryl **.

I purchased a 2011 chevy Malibu from the Merriam Kansas location, and I must say my agent Matt ** was absolutely amazing. I was in a nasty situation with a buy here pay here car, and he was able to help walk me step by step through the process of getting a new car within my budget. He was so patient with me while I got everything together, even the down payment I was needing. He helped me understand how lenders work, how car values and such work and what would be best for my credit and approval process. He followed up and responded immediately to every request I was working on to get me approved. He treated me and my family so kind!!!

Scott in the business center did a fantastic job of going over my paperwork. Needless to say I am able to give my previous 2002 gmc Envoy leased car back to the car lot and was able to drive away in a awesome new car that I am paying towards ownership now! This location was very professional and I am so happy with my decision to purchase from them! MATT DESERVES ANOTHER STAR AWARD ON HIS CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WELL!!!

I had a couple issues with my Cadillac Escalade and brought it to Carmax where I purchased the vehicle from. I purchased the extended warranty and told them the list of repairs I needed. First day they called and said they had to jump my vehicle and need to replace the battery. I already checked it and it was fine before I took it there. I declined the repair. They call everyday updating on their progress which is good. After they had my vehicle for 8 days they did a test drive and after the repairs of the power steering pump and lines, window switch, gas cap and evap sensor, and shocks and ride height sensors. They said my brakes and rotors need to be replaced and again they only have about 10,000 miles on them. They also said now the ABS light is on and the motor is idling rough. After speaking to a manager who said quote things happen could have been low on gas and some bad gas got put in it. I did not take this well.

So they went back over the vehicle and found that the mechanic broke a ground wire causing these issues. So after 14 days without my vehicle and no loaner they called and said it was done. I went to pick up my vehicle and opened the door and my white leather door panel and handles my driver side carpet and floor mat and door sill plate and seatbelt are covered in grease marks. I went in and grabbed a manager and showed them. They grabbed a gentlemen that took it back and cleaned it. 40 minutes later I get it back and he shows me an ink stain on my door handle that he cannot get out that was not there when I dropped it off and the seat belt is still stained.

So now my stepson is late for his birthday party by an hour because of all this and the manager is not there. The gentleman went and got another manager and she came out and looked. She said that she will talk to the first manager about this and took pics and try to set up to come back and clean it again. So now they want me to bring it back and waste more of my time with no compensation for all the extra time it has cost me. Will be my last trip and purchase from Carmax and will make my experience well known to everyone.

This is for the Tampa Fl Carmax location. Picked up a 2007 Acura TL with 30k, Before completing the purchase I did a google check to see what type of issues the car might have and to make sure the Carmax/Aftermarket Warranty would cover them. Couple of things I found were dash cracking & electrical system problems. I was told at time of sale the warranty would cover it. 5 years later and dash is cracked and warranty will not cover it. Carmax lied to make the sale. I should have called the warranty company in advance to make sure all the info was correct.

I just did an appraisal of a 2009 Ford King Ranch truck with all the options and 99100 miles on it, and the appraiser at this Carmax store in San Antonio, Tx, calculated it at $15000.00. Carmax in Austin, Tx has a similar truck - a 2012 Ford King Ranch truck with 117,000 miles (18K miles more than mine) and priced at $27998.00!! The last conversation I had with a Carmax rep in 2015, he told me that the average profit for Carmax was around $1800 to $2000 per vehicle, which is around 10 to 13% profit, very standard in vehicles profit margins. I did sell a mazda CX-5 to Carmax and did get a competitive offer in 2015, which for the rapidity of the transaction, all went pretty good.

So there has to be some kind of new corporate protocol to make store managers low ball these vehicles. No way a truck like this is worth 66% less than the market value of carguru -which has it at an average of $22700, and specially when they have a 2012 Kingranch truck with 117 K miles at $27998. This means now Carmax wants to make a profit margin in vehicles for 50% +, this is way out of line with consumer guidelines. The weird aspect of all of this is that the Carmax rep gave me 2 offers, one for Carmax at $15,000 and one from Kelly book at $12000.00!!! What was this all about? another drop of 25% from a partner? Why would they do that!! Never seen this kind of behavior before from a Dealer. There has to be a new company protocol in abusing the public in a manner where the average person doesn’t know anything about car values.

I was sitting next to an elderly couple, probably in their middle 70's, and the sales person was driving the whole process to a point of making them buy a car that was way above the average car price. I wanted to step in and advise this couple, but I didn’t. There was another couple with a baby child, they must have been in their early 20’s, and they also looked like spooked deer. So sad to see this kind of car sales tactics coming from Carmax- a company that was founded with the mind set of not bullying the public to buy cars with excessive tactics. Hopefully the consumers will be more informed with this kind of reviews, as to the new corporate management actions.

We purchased a 2011 Smart For2 from the Memphis Carmax a little over 2 years ago. I've never bought from them as they seem to be a little higher priced than other local used car dealers. I never buy an extended warranty as these are usually just cash sources for the warranty companies and the dealers that sell them. Since this was my wife's car, I bought it. I was correct in assuming it was a bad decision. Soon after we purchased the car a loud noise would come from the front hood area. Since the engine for this car is in the rear, it could only be a fan rubbing. Since I bought the warranty I decided to use it. (Sidebar: everything about using an extended warranty usually comes with a lot of aggravation. This makes you think twice before using it again.)

They gave us a loaner car and took ours in the shop. Of course they couldn't fix it. They sent it out to another shop. They couldn't fix anything. We got the car back saying "These cars just make that noise". After a few months the noise stopped. But in traffic or sitting at a traffic light the AC would stop working and after enough time the car would overheat, giving a CEL as well. So back to Carmax. This again was several months into having this car. They gave us another loaner but still couldn't fix ours. After having our car at least a week, they told us they had to send it to the Smart dealer in Nashville. Went back to sign more paperwork for this. It was another week before I called to see what was the prognosis. It hadn't left Memphis yet.

So after 2 months, they call saying the cars back, they couldn't find anything wrong with it after clearing the trouble code. "These cars just run hot". So it's been 2 years without AC in traffic or lights and running hot. Until it quit alongside our local interstate 2 weeks ago. No start. So back to Carmax. And yes again they can't work on it. Only this time when I'm told it needs to go back to Nashville, it's going to cost $650 up front to transport it there because the last time they sent a Smart to the Nashville dealership, Maxcare denied the claim. No information on that but they wanted the money up front.

So after many calls and Facebook posts complaining about this, they finally say they will pick up the cost (if I want to look at a car on the Nashville Carmax lot they will ship it to Memphis for free) but no matter how long it takes for all this to take place, they aren't giving us a loaner car. We can't do without a car that long. They don't care! So I find a shop nearby that can look at the car. Carmax couldn't find this. Now they want to ship it there to see if Maxcare will honor the warranty. But it's been 2 weeks and it's still at the Memphis Carmax for all I know. And of course I'm going to be very mad if my claim is denied. We've taken good care of this car and tried to get Carmax to fix this problem all along. But to no avail. I will never buy from these crooks again. Their customer service is nonexistent after they have your money.

I was interested in a car that I saw through CarMax. There wasn't a transfer fee so I ordered it. I wanted to see what interest rate I could get with them so I filled out one of their online quote applications. After sending it in, I heard nothing via email or phone indicating that the car was ordered or a follow-up on the finance quote. I got a notification alert from the security companies that I have watching my credit and they indicated that there was a change to my report. My score is really good, like 850 or so. Anyway, I logged into my security account only to find out that CarMax had pulled not one but two HARD (not soft) inquiries on my credit report!!! I hadn't met with anyone, never talked of buying the car... I can see a soft inquiry in order to give me a general quote for rate but they pulled a hard inquiry as if I was preparing to purchase the vehicle.

I called CarMax Auto Finance and they couldn't find my social security number and made several different excuses as to how this happened. All I cared about was them contacting the three credit agencies and telling them they made a mistake. She said she could do that but that I would also have to follow up with them. Seriously? They created this mess, the evidence was there yet they were in denial that they did anything. That was two weeks ago that I inquired about the car with still no contact from CarMax either phone or email. Unbelievable. I used to love the ease of CarMax and I've bought several cars from them but after this last episode, I'm done with them.

If I could give 0 stars, I would. I like to pay a little extra every month towards my principal balance, that way I can shave off a few payments at the end. I've never had an issue with this in the past with previous auto finance companies: when making a payment online there is an option for additional amounts to pay towards the principal balance. However, Carmax does not have this option. Any additional amount you pay just goes towards reducing the next month's payment. If you want anything extra to go towards the principal balance, you have to call customer service EVERY MONTH after the payment posts and have them move the extra amount to the principal balance. So instead of having it as an option on their website, I have to waste my time & theirs by calling in every month. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

I bought a car from Carmax back in April 2016. It is actually a Chrysler town and country 2011 model. It only has 56 plus thousand miles on it. And now my car has these electrical problems on them. My car won't start at all. It only had a 45 day warranty. I couldn't afford their so call extended warranty without a bigger car payment attached to it. Now my car won't start. They wouldn't give me a loaner car for the inconvenience. Plus on top of that They wouldn't look at it for almost 10 days. I have 4 children that I need to take to school and me for work. Then I was told that all the cars for carmax are former rentals cars from car rentals place. So this is why so many people have problems with their vehicles. It is all set up to fail in the automotive industry. It's all about money. I wouldn't recommend carmax to anyone ever.

I took my truck to Carmax with the intentions of trading it in on one of their high-priced cars. I had a NADA report that said my truck was worth $10,500 trade-in value, in the condition that it is in and with the mileage it has. They offered me $3000. I thought they were kidding. I tried to speak to the manager about it and he basically insulted me and insinuated that my truck was a piece of crap. I thought these guys were supposed to be basically fair and honest, but clearly I was wrong.

I made an appointment at Carmax because I was told by a friend to go there, I could get financing. I ended up cancelling the appointment but now I'm getting rejection letters for credit in the mail! I didn't give them permission to run my credit as I didn't go to the dealership. I think this is illegal and am contacting an attorney.

I purchased a 2013 vehicle from CARMAX, July 2015. Started to have problems a year later. I didn't expect to have car problems so soon, since "CARMAX don't sell lemon cars" so they say. Fortunately, I purchased the extended warranty for it but I have to still put down money for the repairs and I still owe $17,000.00. I will never recommend people to buy at any CARMAX dealership. If I would have known about their cars I would have bought a new vehicle at a different dealership.

My car was promised to arrive in Tallahassee in 7 days. I was called in 6 days, left a voice-mail that my car had arrived and invited to come down and get it. I had my old car towed away that night to get the car insurance settlement, and started the 3-day clock I was allotted on a complimentary rental car. Upon arriving at the dealership the next day, I was met with blank stares. I left all the information on the car needed to identify and locate it, but they didn't track it down. I finally did so myself the next afternoon. It was sent to Tupelo instead of Tallahassee... some mistake with the routing agent failing to check the correct store code. I was then charged $300 to get the car transferred from Tupelo to Tallahassee, in "14 days" or less. No call back by the 14th day, and I confirmed the car was not yet in Tallahassee.

On day 15 I tracked down the Tupelo office staff member, and they confirmed that the transfer order had been put in, but would not say if it had been initiated, promising to "call me back by 9:00 PM that night". As noted in the experience above, I got no callback whatsoever. I had previously been planning to buy at Carmax, and also purchase an extended warranty with them in excess of $1,300. But given this example of their customer service profile, I decided to cut bait at that point, and just "eat" the transfer fees I had paid out. I located another comparable deal on the car I wanted through another company, and just drove the 180 miles I needed to go and pick it up myself. No more trusting nonrefundable, unguaranteed transfer fees!

I bought a 2009 Chevy Traverse in August 2014. Within 10 minutes of leaving the dealership I heard grinding noises while driving. Got home and had my husband drive it to see if he could hear/feel it. As we backed out of the driveway, brakes locked up and car didn't want to stop. Went back to Carmax immediately. They kept my car for almost 2 weeks and put me in a loaner. The day I picked my car up, still had issues. Called and spoke to a manager and informed them I wanted to return the car under the "5 day return policy" and was informed it had already excesses that time frame even though the car was actually in my possession for less than 2 hours. Returned to the dealership and was put in another loaner car while they had my car another few weeks.

The issue was supposed to be fixed but then I realized my AC was working only sometimes. I decided I didn't trust Carmax anymore and had my uncle who is a mechanic take a look at the car as well as a friend of the family and both said my compressor needed to be replaced as well as telling me there was previous work done to the transmission and clamps were holding wires together. I was also informed that there was significant rust underneath my hood almost to the point of unsafe. They pulled up my car history and found the car was purchased from up north, which they both suspected given the amount of rust that was present.

I've contacted Carmax numerous times and asked them to make this right and I'm told I can sell them back the car and pay the difference in negative equity, which at this point is over 10,000 dollars!! This car should've never been on the lot for sale, it is unsafe and I have to drive my 4 children around in it daily. On top of all of the other issues, one of our seats is not usable because the seat belt doesn't work. I will never buy another car from this dealership. I'd be happy if the company went under! They're crooked and sell lemons on a daily basis!!

My intent in writing this note is to inform all current and potential buyers of the complete and total failure of Carmax's auto warranty through Maxcare. Buyer beware. I will NEVER buy from Carmax again or allow anyone within earshot to buy from Carmax. Carmax does not stand behind their work and their warranty company is a joke. See below:

We purchased a 2012 Range Rover Evoque in summer of 2014 and have had little to no issues until 8/11/2016. Upon starting our vehicle, the engine sounded as if there was metal grinding in the engine. Naturally we took the vehicle to a Carmax/Maxcare approved repair shop only to find that we had a hole in our engine. Well, good news, we are under the 75,000 miles warranty so we are covered... right? Right. But that is until we, as the consumer, find out that of course Maxcare does not want to pay the $14,000 it is to replace the engine. Maxcare has us jumping through hoops to do additional diagnostics to remove the oil pan ($900 job) to determine "how many" metal shards are in the oil pan to see if metal really ran through the engine to warrant them approving the work to get a new engine.

Here's what we know now... Maxcare wants to do as little as work as possible costing them as little as possible. You see, once the repair place fixes our engine or whatever parts Maxcare approves, Maxcare is no longer responsible for the work. In CA, the repair place has to warranty their work done to my car, so they are now the responsible party if something goes wrong. Bottom line, car repair place says we need new engine and have proven that to Maxcare in the hoops Maxcare adjusters have made them jump through, Maxcare wants to fix the least amount of things possible at the lowest cost so they are no longer responsible by warranty. AND, wouldn't you know it, we're 2000 miles away from expiring the 75,000 mile warranty coverage so they just need to get through the cheapest way possible so it's no longer their issue.

Today is 8/23 and I STILL DO NOT HAVE A CAR because Maxcare is no longer answering their phones and when our repair shop asks for a "callback" the auto-generated function cuts the repair shop off the phone. I am paying $200 a week out of pocket for a rental car because Maxcare has zero sense of urgency or customer service. I'm disappointed I had to find out about warranty issues in this manner, but I certainly hope my note can convince you or someone you know to keep on driving past Car Max and purchase your car elsewhere. Awful experience and complete ripoff.

Worst car buying experience EVER! I wouldn't even give them one star but I had to give them something to write a review. Only reason I went there is they had a car I wanted; what could go wrong, right? They say they stand behind their cars, yet they told me, after throwing down $42K, to take my truck to Dodge to be fixed. The salesmen (I had two), didn't want to know me once they closed the deal; said they didn't know what to tell me.

"Management", and I use that term very loosely, knows nothing about customer service. They're contrite, rude and have a take it or leave it attitude because they don't "Negotiate". More like Carmax has systemized everything so a monkey could do the job and once something deviates from their "System" they turn into retards and clearly don't know what to do. Not to mention they lie. They even went so far as to say they're doing me a favor by giving me my original car back.

After a week of this debacle and four loaners later (one the A/C didn't work properly, the second had the airbag light on, the third wreaked of cigarette smoke and the fourth which was the best of the crop had 125K miles on it), I never actually took my "New" truck home and returned it under their five day return policy after it Sat in their lot for a week.

Now it's time to get my car back from their Matthews location (where they took it when I traded it in at the Pineville location), which they graciously scraped against a pole or wall and in essence said, it's my car now... It's my problem. Really? This was said by Chris, the Sales Manager from the Pineville location. The manager at the Matthews location was no better. They're all scum and stick together. Oh, and I still don't have my down payment refund; I swiped my debit card yet it's an act of congress to get it back. They have to "Mail me a check". Why can't they just put it back on the card like every other establishment out there? CROOKS!

In the end, I went to a Hendrick dealer; I got MUCH better loan terms, a better warranty, $1,000 more for my trade, a much better car THAT I COULD DRIVE HOME, from Cary no less without any issues... Imagine that! Not to mention, the experience at Hendrick Cadillac of Cary was a million times better and everything went as it should have. ***STAY AWAY FROM CARMAX! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!*** #NEVERCARMAX

I was called by a rep by Juan said I was approve for the car with a down payment of 400. I was so happy 'cause I needed a car. Made appointment on Friday Aug 11, 2016. Got there at 12:00 pm. I drove from Lancaster where I reside. Mr. Juan decided to place me with Alvin awesome guy. He then approve me for 0 down on a car. Went and place the car on my insurance. This is now 5:58 pm. Alvin told me I could tell my sister to go 'cause I got the car so she don't have to wait. Well now it's 8:05 pm and now Alvin got my annual income wrong so I had to run my credit again. Now the bank is asking 415.00 down. Said okay.

At 9:02 pm the bank does not want to take my bank statement. Now I have been at Carmax from 12:00 pm and sat there for 9 hrs to be told "you are approve" to "you're not approve". Carmax close at 9 pm. Am still there 'cause I had no ride to get home. Miss a whole day of work and got a finale for not coming in on the time I was schedule. Carmax sell you dreams and lies.

I ordered a 5 Carfax report and they told me you have the right of withdraw if the service does not satisfy you. I checked two cars and surprisingly found the reports even weaker than billupgifter.se (a free website for getting used car reports in Sweden). Actually, one of those cars that I checked was my friend's that it had crashed badly but found nothing about that accident in Carfax report. The report just contains some basic information that you can easily find in many free websites in Sweden. When I asked them to return my money back, they told me: "In relation to your request, we are sorry to inform you that the reimbursement you have asked for cannot be processed because you have used 2 credits out of 5".

This was the strangest claim that I could receive from a company. They clearly mentioned in their money back guarantee that if you get 2 or fewer reports in a multiple Carfax report you can get full refund. "If the purchase you make at carfax.com does not meet your expectations, CARFAX will honor the Carfax 100% Money-back Guarantee and refund your money online."

Sold car with metal shaving in engine. They do not check their cars. My daughter was without her car for a week plus. I think they should have taking the Ford Explorer back. Do not buy from them please. If you do do not use their finance company, you will get harassed. They will call you four to five times a day. They will speak to you like youre a child with no education. Be very aware.

Carmax Company Profile