Carmax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had been approved online, then was contacted not long after by one of their Sales Reps. I was approved for a loan of 15K on a 12.5K vehicle. So over the course of a week i had my reservations on the 2012 Kia Optima I was willing to get. It had an oil flow problem that would cause the engine to seize. Ok, I thought, let me contact her and tell her no dice. I did that. After that I came back to her agreeing to the sale, as the issue resolving the vehicle was a simple fix one could perform in their driveway.

So after I agreed, she ran my credit again, hitting it twice in less than a week. I was still approved for the same loan amount, but my down payment, which was to be 500 jumped to 680. So I told her that it would be a few days before I could get to the dealership, as I was waiting for payday. So when the day came, I went down there expecting for everything to go smoothly. It did not. Not only was my recent pay raise removed from the original agreed upon arrangement, I was told that my loan was decreased and that my down payment would have to be 2K instead. They said that my recent promotion that increased my pay could not be included and that the following year's annual income would be favored instead, thus putting me into a lower income bracket than what I actually am. I was not happy. I will not be pursuing a car purchase from Carmax for just that reason. And, as a side note, destroyed my credit as well in the process.

Jan 2, 2016 went in to have 2012 GMC Terrain looked at. Engine light was on and was jerking furiously at every stop and had stalled a few times while in reverse. I explained all of this to Resa (service agent) and she's constantly telling me what it could be. I don't want to know what it could be, I want to know what it is. She tells me she can't get it in today but can make an appointment for the following Monday; Jan 9th (a whole week out for an appt), so I dropped my car off Sunday night, Jan 8th. Jan 9th Resa calls at 1030a to tell me they are taking my car in to test.

Fast forward to 430 pm, I call to check and another agent says she will call me back. Another hour later Resa calls and says, "Oh you had so many issues we couldn't get it all tested". I said, "you've had my car all day and haven't looked at it." She beats around the bush still saying I had too many issues. She basically lied the whole time because on my initial call at 1030a, she says she filling out a rental form for me. How long does it take to connect a diagnostics reader to a vehicle for the results. I say "so you've had my car all day and no one has looked at it." She says "you have 2 options. You can pick it up and take it somewhere else or we can look at it tomorrow."

By this time, I'm furious. I reiterated "so you've had my car all day and haven't looked at it." She says "yes and your car is not the only one." I said "I'm on my way to pick up my keys. WTH do I care how many others cars you have? You could've did your job and called me earlier to let me know so I could have made other arrangements." I picked up my keys and asked to speak to manager (Tim **), was told he was in meeting and was given his number. I called the next day and left CM. I have yet to receive a callback and today is Jan 13th. I also noticed when picking my car up, it was same place as I had parked the night before. So my car hadn't been touched at all.

I was already convinced I was sold me a lemon. Have had all types of problem since purchasing this vehicle. Now I'm sure. Absolutely hate I purchased a car from them and won't ever again. Absolute worst customer service period!!! Beware consumers, do not buy or take your car there for repairs. Louisville, KY location absolute worst. Please believe. I'm researching on filing a lawsuit for this vehicle.

I purchase a 2010 Chevrolet Impala from Carmax on Atlantic Boulevard in Jacksonville in September 2016. The next day after I brought the car I was driving on the highway and all of the dash gauges dropped. I drove it back to the dealer and they say it was a factory defect and that they would repair it. They repaired it. A month after I had the car I was driving down the highway and the vehicle just shut off on the highway. We managed to push it out of traffic and realized that the battery terminal had broken and this caused the vehicle to stop operating, very dangerous and scary. We managed to repair it. The same month I noticed small dents all over the car that you could not see unless you look at the car very closely. They had been painted over. Two months after I had the car I begin to hear a knocking noise coming from under the dash, the mechanic said that the mechanism that operate the vents had worn out.

Three months after I had the car I was leaving the gas station and put the car in gear and press the gas pedal and the car did not move. I put it back in park then back in drive and drove off. Later that evening my daughter in law was driving the car and it did the same thing. I was going to call Carmax the same day but before I could my neighbor inspected the car and said he believed it was previously a rental car. I called Carmax and talked to Rocky **. I asked him was it a rental car previously and he said yes. I asked him why was I not informed of this before I brought the car. He says it was included in the stack of paper work that I collected the day I picked up the car.

He said that they are not required by law to inform the customer that it is a rental car, but that Carmax does inform their customers when it is a rental car. I was not informed prior to the day I picked up the car and did not know that this information was on the history report that I was given the day I brought the car. Kelley Blue Book rates the car at $7,500.00 to $8,000.00 in good condition. I paid $10,000.00 for the car not including the finance charges. It also previously a rental car my neighbor says I should have not paid more than $6,000.00 for it. I found a 2012 with the same mileage that was a previous rental for $8,000.00. If I knew that the car was previously a rental I would not have brought it. And if I knew that I definitely would have not paid $10,000.00 for it.

I am very dissatisfied with the service I received and instead of being proud of purchasing an automobile from Carmax I am disgusted at how I was treated. If I could I would give the car away just to get rid of it but that would not be fair to the person I gave it to. I am returning to the dealer today and I will give you a update on the outcome.

I applied online for a car. I went through the approval process and was contacted by a salesman. I made an appointment in San Antonio and arrived at the dealership. My wife and I had already picked a couple of cars we were interested in. We drove an AUDI, which the car had to be jumped in order to start. The first key they tried was not recognized and the hood latch on the passenger side did not function. My wife asked if that would be fixed, the salesman said he didn't see a problem with the latch. So, we proceeded to do the rest of the paperwork, but Carmax said they needed additional information. We had to go home and obtain the rest of the paperwork which took 2 hours. When we got back, the first salesman was gone for the day.

They gave me a new salesman, which didn't really know what was going on. Keeping in mind I had already been approved, test drove the car and had the money laying on the desk, this new salesperson needed to see different paperwork. I brought pay stubs, bills in my name, driver's license, insurance and everything the first salesman needed. This new salesman wanted hospital bills in my wife's name. Now, being approved by a lender, with a down payment agreed on, all the required documents ready to go and on the desk that the lender needed, Carmax needs additional documents in order to sell the car.

They never took the car to the back to make it ready. They argued the entire time about selling me the Audi saying I can't own 2 vehicles or I need to trade my truck in. Then they didn't want to sell me the Audi. They tried getting us in a Lexus. I did not buy the car from Carmax. I have bought 2 previous cars from Carmax and my daughter has bought 2 cars from Carmax. This was the most horrible experience I have ever had from any business in America. The sales staff are unprofessional, untrained and incompetent. I will never buy a car from them again. I will urge anyone thinking of buying a car to not do it. I wasted 6 hours at Carmax. I will never be back.

Carmax had a truck in Omaha, NE. I paid $399.00 to ship it to Merrillville, Indiana. They said, it was immaculate! Failed to say it had dings all over the truck. Or someone tried to paint match all the dings with really runny paint. Or the gas smell in the new oil on the dipstick. Or the blue smoke flying out of the exhaust. Needless to say I was refused my money back for shipping it to me. "That is policy," I was told. I hope no one else loses $399.00 dollars on the hopes of finding the car or truck they wanted. Investigate your vehicle. I did and that is why I did not buy this truck. I knew the problems and knew my truck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Went to dealership with an appointment to meet a specific seller only to find out that she, seller a, was not available. We had agreed on a maximum price prior to visit, and was told that was not an option after we arrived and met salesperson b. The car had been in an accident, and the glove compartment did not close at all on the left side. Hung open in fact. They said we should have that repaired as they would only send it to the dealer and cause us greater delay in getting the vehicle. Offered me less than half of what my trade in was worth claiming that they would have to sell it at auction. I did research on the vehicle we were planning to purchase to learn that they bought it at auction after the accident and had it repaired. The price was good, had everything else lined up, but I kept feeling like there was snake oil at every turn.

Thanked them for wasting 5 hours of my life as we drove 2 1/2 hours to look at this vehicle to come home empty handed from them. We stopped and bought a higher end new vehicle on the way home for less than 11K more than they wanted for a wrecked one in need of repair and are very satisfied. Would never go there again, and would not recommend them to anyone. It was not worth the trip, and the dealership even though it has many cars to choose from is not family friendly. I am sure if I had been 30 years younger female and wearing a mini skirt with no underwear, and a low cut blouse, that I would have gotten a good deal. However, that is not the case. I am a real person seeking transportation that I could have afforded to pay cash for and walked away empty handed with no additional offers, or no attempts to meet my needs in any way.

Long story here but I'll summarize it by saying that the company does a horrible job training its employees in how to take care of customers, particularly in communication skills. First sales rep I dealt with promised to call me back with updates about a car I had transferred from another city - no calls. I had to contact him then hope he would return my messages. He only did so once and this was over a 5 day period. He also misinformed me regarding how to make out the cashier's check for the downpayment which resulted in me and my fiance having to make additional trips to the bank to get the check rewritten. Luckily I had the text messages from him that documented that he had given me the incorrect info. At that point my account was handed over to another rep who only made excuses for the bad experience but never took ownership.

The store manager also addressed my concerns by saying "I apologize" over and over again - I don't need to hear multiple apologies, just acknowledge the mistake and take ownership. Everyone there has an excuse with an "I apologize" at the ready. To top it off, the car was dirty including a very stained floor mat on the driver's side that I could not believe they did not replace prior to me test driving the car. What happened when I voiced displeasure at this oversight? - "I apologize but..." insert excuse. At least once when I was trying to address the poor communication, an employee raised their voice to talk over me. I was calm the entire time but did let them know that they need to improve their training and/or focus on the customer. If this purchase had not been necessary due to a totaled car that happened right before the holidays, I would have canceled the purchase with them and gone elsewhere. Never again.

We applied at Carmax over the internet. We were denied... They didn't even have the correct spelling of my last name and it differs from my husband. There were 2 men that called me... Taylor ** and I don't have the other gentleman's name. They were supposed to get back to me, and I never received a response. They sent a letter addressed to me with the wrong last name to begin with. We went to Jack Winegardner and got a brand new 2016 truck. My daughter had went to Carmax a few years ago and she was very disappointed as well. We will never go back to them nor will I recommend them to anyone.

Back in May I bought a 2015 Dodge Caravan. During this process I took on some of the negative equity on my previous car. When the paperwork was being filed they submitted my loan request for more than mine babe had agreed to pay. Because of this they asked me to come up and sell the car back then purchase it again without the gap insurance. After I had done so there was another problem with my documentation. The cellar then let me in the community where am I we sold and purchased my vehicle again. After all of this the business office was having trouble getting my title. I did not receive my title until three months after my current tags have expired and I was unable to tag the vehicle I was driving without the proper documentation.

When I arrived back at Carmax I spoke with the business manager and the Forbidden Journey they told me that any tickets I received before I got the title would be covered by CarMax. Throughout the three months it took to receive my title I received two tag violations. When I called the business office they said that if I paid the tickets they would then return the money to me if I kept the receipts. Last week I went to CarMax with my receipts for my traffic violations and they said they felt that they were only accountable for 50% of one of the tickets. I stated over and over again that I had documentation stating that CarMax would pay for 100% of the tickets. After getting the run-around over and over again I was told I could come pick up my fifty bucks or nothing. I will never be purchasing a car with CarMax again.

Here's the thing: Carmax won't let you take their cars to your mechanic to have it checked out before you buy it. That tells you a lot. They cover this concern by telling you that you have 5 days to return the car if you don't like it. When I asked them to send me this document to my email, before I even go into the place, the salesman says ok -- but never sends it. It should be a legal document, with an employee's signature on it -- not just some quote off their website. As many people have complained, they are not getting their money back in a timely fashion. If there is a legal document describing the return policy, it would have to include the time limit they have to return your money -- or you can write it in and both of you initial it. THEN take them to court if they don't comply. THEN you might have a class action suit.

I would never recommend buying a car from Carmax again. They sold me an Nissan Altima with "one owner" and told me that they check everything out before buying the car. Four months later my transmission blown out on my brand new car. I called the company and the sales person they hung up on me numerous times and also told me that I'm on my own. They will not do anything to help fix the car at all. I spoke with the Nissan company and they told me that I'm the 3rd owner of the car. Carmax is major a ripoff. I wish I would have researched harder before buying a car from them.

They are terrible. Bought a car from them and they lied to me about Carfax. Then car has transmission issues the day after I got it so a few days later when I had time I took it to them and they had it for over a month. Get it back and the "new" transmission is bad also. They never once asked to take car back. I didn't get my initial trial bc they had it sitting at Carmax. The TPMS light was on also so today I go to my appointment for transmission and TPMS and Sat for 2 hours for them to tell me they have to order a TPMS sensor and I would have to pay for a rental to leave it with them. I tried to take it back and everything. I want out of this car and want absolutely nothing to do with Carmax ever. Again. If I could give them a negative rating I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

By the way I hate the car and have since I've got it back from service. It's horrible, has rust, transmission problems, engine noise, vibrations. Only positive thing is that it looks good from 10 feet. I tried to get them to let me find another vehicle and they wanted at least 60% of the price of new vehicle down which is not happening. I want out of this vehicle and never to do business with them again.

I got a car from Carmax and three weeks later, the transmission went out. They said it was covered under the manufacturer but I explained I did not want that car because it might have other issues. I wanted another car. I found the same car in another color for the same amount and they asked the bank. I was told the bank now wants me to bring in another $500 after I had already been approved previously due to new things on my credit. I explained that of course I had new credit issues because I had been looking for a car and just got finance. How can they take back the first approval and charge me more money down now?! Carmax did not even offer to eat the $500.

I feel like they should accommodate since this was not my fault. They sold me a faulty car. They are backing me into a corner and forcing me to take a car with the hopes that nothing else goes wrong. I've been pushed to tears from the stress of this purchase! My great experience has now turned into a nightmare. The managers had attitude and were not sympathetic at all. THE WORST!!! Go somewhere else if you can.

Where do I even begin. In October my wife and I bought a 2013 Chevy Traverse with what the sticker said was four wheel drive. We signed on a Wednesday and that following Sunday while taking a mouse nest out of the engine noticed that the truck was not four wheel drive nor all wheel drive but in fact front wheel drive. This went against the sticker on the window and what the paperwork said. I contacted our sales person who said she would make it right. For the next week we searched for a Traverse with about the same miles and in that same price range $20,998. She sent me a few that she found but all were more money or over 5,000 more miles or even one with marks all over it.

I finally found one for $1,000 more but was told that they would not cover the extra money and I had to pay for it. I spoke to a manager who said she would give me back $200 I had paid and drop the price $300 and then I would cover the remaining $500. I agreed to this and was told the Traverse would ship within the next 14 days and get to the dealer by Nov 18th. Finally on the 22nd of November I got a call saying it was there so we went in to look at it. At this time we saw marks all over the paint and spoke to a manager who said he would have them detail the hood. We asked the saleswomen to also have them do the rest of the truck and we're told they would write it up for the whole truck. I was told that it would go to the shop in Kenosha that next day. Then the next day I was told that it wouldn't go until Friday because of Thanksgiving.

I spoke to the salesperson on Friday and was told it must have went down there and I will let you know when it gets back. The following Monday I texted the sales women Melissa and asked since my wife and I had off if the truck would be back. She said she would call me in a few and check. Three hours later she called and said great news the truck is back and looks great. My wife and I went in that night to look and the only thing they did was fix the hood. I asked why and was told by the manager that he did not know about the rest of the truck which was not right. He said he would have it fixed. I told him that this is fraud selling a car that is not what they say and he tried to tell me otherwise and now this happened. Then he said that they made a mistake down in Kenosha then goes on to say that it was done there in Milwaukee (which is it).

"Here is what happened," I said. The was never sent to be worked on and until I called on Monday it sat there for a week with nothing done to it then when I called they rushed to get it done that day. So after looking at it and yet again the issue was still there we're able to look at it on Wednesday the 30th. It looked so much better so we signed and took it home. On Friday the 2nd of December a loud noise came when turning the wheel so we took it in and on Monday the 5th they said they found no issue. I have emailed the GM at the location as well as left a message for the regional manager and NEITHER have cared enough to reply. If this is how they do it there then I will tell everyone and anyone where not to buy a car.

Needing to downsize from my F-150 Super Crew, I decided to use CarMax, as they had been very good to my friend when she bought her car. I found the car I wanted online, and scheduled a test drive. I liked the car, and the salesman was very straightforward with me. Being from Canada, I was a little concerned they wouldn't want my Canadian trade-in, but was assured it wouldn't be an issue. After all, I imported my truck through CBP, was granted DOT approval to import, and was allowed to register my truck in Utah (which meant it was properly imported).

I returned the next day with my truck for an appraisal. After completing all the necessary paperwork to purchase my new (used) car, the appraiser came back and said there was an issue with my truck. He said it couldn't be used as a trade-in, as it wasn't properly imported. I was taken aback and quite angry. In my immigration paperwork, it was quite clear... you MUST obtain DOT approval, show your vehicle is compliant with US EPA standards (which I did), and clear CBP. If you do not follow these steps, you will not be able to insure or license your vehicle in the US.

They said they couldn't buy my vehicle, but couldn't explain to me how to ensure it was properly imported. Right there, I walked out. If you're telling me that it's not imported correctly, then tell me how you know that so I can correct it. It turns out, the Carfax indicated I had structural damage (I wasn't aware of), which was pointed out to me at another dealership (who had NO issues accepting my vehicle as a trade-in).

Because of the dishonesty the appraiser showed me at Carmax, I will never shop there, and will recommend to everyone to avoid them. If they had just been forthcoming with me, I probably still would have bought the car I was looking at, and would have probably accepted their low-ball offer on my trade-in. Seriously, honesty goes a very, VERY, long way. The only one I had any respect for was the salesman.

I bought a car in 2015 from the Carmax on Atlantic Blvd. I also paid for the "mycare" from them, I totaled my car in Nov 2016. I have been trying to contact them about the payoff and refunds for the "Mycare" that they offer and no one knows anything!!!! They send you through 15 different people to be told different things from each. They don't care about you trying to figure everything out after you have given them their money. I was also informed about three weeks ago my check would be put in the mail and I would receive it within 5 days. Now today, I called again because I have yet to receive my check, the lady informs me it was only mailed on the 25th of November. I WILL NEVER spend a penny at a Carmax again!!!!

GAP Insurance product of Carmax is a total rip off!!! It is marketed as supplemental insurance to cover the difference between pay off your auto insurance pays in the case of a total lost. Carmax uses the company Safe Guard to handle the GAP insurance. The agent there accused me of late payment which was ridiculous since I have automatic bank draft, then he told me they used my Max Care balance to pay off the loan. That's what I bought GAP for! Don't buy from Carmax!

I made an appointment to see a specific used car. When I got there, the salesman had not even bothered to make sure the car would start. The battery was dead. He tried to get me to test drive a newer model that was several thousand dollars more. Will never go there again.

The reason for this review is for our sales person Brittany ** of the Carmax located in Fairfield, CA. She went over and beyond. There was a slight complication with the car we bought. Everything was taken care of to my ultimate satisfaction. I ended up with the same car but a yr newer with less miles. Brittany had to relate between us and management and made it all fall into place beautifully. Lastly I'd like to add I shopped for about 6 mos for a used car. I walked into Carmax not expecting anything special but it in fact was quite special. The process is so easy. I don't know why anybody would shop for a used vehicle anywhere else. Once you find your car it literally takes 5 mins and YOU get to pick the bank and rate you want. I'll never go anywhere else for a used car unless it's a Carmax. Thank you.

This all started in may 2014. I was in need of a new car as someone hit me and totaled my beloved 2008 Pontiac Vibe awd. After checking out my regular dealerships and realizing with two cars still under my name that no one would finance me as the insurance company didn't pay off the wrecked car yet I ended up at Carmax with approved credit. Should have been the first red flag. Why would anyone allow someone to have 1200 in car loans a month on a average income. I ended up buying a 2012 Nissan Sentra SR Special edition. I was in and out with the car in less than a hour. I did test drive it but it was raining. The Carfax was clear. That weekend I noticed a 2' crack in the windshield and strange noises coming from the suspension, brakes, and AC. I was at a out of town family wedding but the next week I took it in. When I took it in they wrote off ask the sounds as the abs check.

I had to argue with them to finally check a appointment with Safelite for the window. The day of my appointment they tried saying it was just a scratch even though I could put my credit card in it and it get stuck. I again argued with the management and finally they rescheduled and repaired. Within the 30 days I was back 2 other times with the strange noises - wagon noises, loud transmission and AC, and squeaky brakes. Both times they said the car was fine, but would extend the 30 day warranty 6 months. I soon decided to get the car certified at Nissan. They found bad barely passing breaks, bad suspension, and said the transmission was fine. I asked them to repair the suspension and brakes under the warranty to find out the car was out of warranty 3 days after I bought it. Carmax at told me I was good until 36000 miles, the car only had 24,000.

Found out that the car was sold in summer of 2011 and hit the 3 year mark voiding all warranties but the power train. Makes sense that Nissan would say the transmission was ok until in completely went. Since I was still in the 6 month extension I till the findings back to Carmax. They said they would not fix the issues so I filled a complaint with the BBB on which Carmax denied my claims. Funny thing is the BBB is on the same street as Carmax corporate and Carmax is owned by Circuit City. The same company that shut all their stores down and was known for shady open box fees. I ended up paying 2000 to get the brakes and suspension fixed. The AC still rattles and the transmission sometimes stalls on hills and sounds like a dying animal. Most recently I looked under the car to find the whole exhaust system rusting and needing replaced at the tune of 1000 dollars.

Also a few months ago I replaced my cabin filter and engine filter. Both were black. The cabin filter required removal of interior panels that had price gun stickers from a junk yard. I also found price gun stickers on the wheels and the exterior mirrors. There is silver over spray on the rear side windows molding and the rear bumper paint doesn't match. The car came from new York, was sent to auction and sent to Carmax Lancaster. I went to Lancaster acting like I was buying a car and selected cars I saw on the site that were not on the lot, knew they were on the back lot. Got the salesman to take me back to where they fix the cars up.

They were literally in pieces. Lancaster is a regional distribution center for Carmax and the Mechanicsburg, PA store where I bought my car. When I asked Carmax for my service records from my first 30 days they started they didn't have them and that they didn't keep them because they were not a "certified repair center." I picked Carmax because of their worry free slogans and selection. Unfortunately they are selling cars that barely passed inspection, warranty is only 30 days, and are doing some very shady things. Customer service is very poor. I recommend avoiding this company at all costs.

I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX from Carmax with an extended warranty. The service rear axle light came on. I took the car in to Cadillac. Carmax even sent an inspector out to see the car. From the very start they tried every hoop and trick they could to avoid having to stand behind the warranty they sell. This company is corrupt. I'd never do business with them again. What's the point of buying an extended warranty if the company won't stand behind it. They should be fined and put out of business. I've had many extended warranties. No company ever failed to honor its extended warranty before. Lesson learned. Stay away from Carmax crew.

Bought a car from CarMax in 2013. The sales part was great. The Guy was very honest. He seemed to be truthful. Well after I got It home I found out It had been In a wreck. They did not tell me about this. They further stated they knew nothing of this accident. To make a long story short I was told "too bad Its past the 30 days". It cost me almost 2000.00 to fix all the problems with the front end (where it was hit). The Operation Manager truly did not care nor did he want to do anything. He in fact just walked away and left me standing in the parking lot. I will not use CarMax again ever.

I went in on a Saturday and apparently they had a power outage going on so I strolled throughout the parking lot and was there a good hour with a salesman and then was told the power was back on. Went in Sat another hour getting approved, test drove the car, got approved, had my $1000 down payment ready to make the following Monday then... WAALAAA! Sorry sir we had a "Computer Glitch" we can't sell you a car. After all this I sat through now you tell me that your high tech computer had a glitch! Go buy your car elsewhere I highly recommend it!

I bought a 2010 Toyota Sienna. When I got the van home I noticed that there was a small leak on the transmission. I took it back into CarMax within the 30-day warranty that they give you and ask them to fix it. I also said the van smells really funny. They change the cabin filter but they would not repair the leak underneath claiming that it was not dripping even though it was.

A year-and-a-half later as I'm trying to sell the van I have now lost the sale of $16,000 due to their mechanic saying that the transmission is leaking and needs to be repaired to the tune of $2,400. I called CarMax back today to explain to them the situation and see if they would now help out and they said they have no documentation on me bringing the van to them. They said I could bring it in and have it fixed under the car warranty that I had purchased but they said there was no guarantee that the seal would be covered. It is the only vehicle I will ever purchase from them and do not recommend doing business with them.

It's like car salesmen think they can be your lecturer and parent and smartass. It's like they think we all oughta have a car in the suburbs. So it's okay to just be ** to customers. On my first trip there one guy calls me a princess and says mockingly, "Oh my want me to get the door for you?" I'm just like, "Oh want me to do your hair... I'm sure your wife does it for you." Then this one other salesman acts like a retard at my appointment to discuss cars. He sort of acts like he does not hear what I'm saying. I say my social security ends in 4300. He's just like, "Oh like umm you mean 7800?" Then he purposely goes out of his way to show me a car I would really like. He say oh I can totally have it. And then he text me on my way home, "Oh that car you want. Yeah, just released it to someone else".

We took our 2008 nissan in for ac repairs covered under an extended warranty. The repair required the dash be removed. When we got the car back there were cracks in the dash which were not there before. The service dept. did call us while the car was there (over a week) and said there were cracks before the repairs. When we picked up the car we could not believe what we saw, the cracks were very visible and definitely not there before. We expressed our concerns to the service dept. and it was their word against ours. They denied doing the damage and would not make it right. Leaving us stuck and very dissatisfied. To replace the dash is 2500.00 to 3000.00. The car and warranty are under my fiancee's name, cheryl **.

I purchased a 2011 chevy Malibu from the Merriam Kansas location, and I must say my agent Matt ** was absolutely amazing. I was in a nasty situation with a buy here pay here car, and he was able to help walk me step by step through the process of getting a new car within my budget. He was so patient with me while I got everything together, even the down payment I was needing. He helped me understand how lenders work, how car values and such work and what would be best for my credit and approval process. He followed up and responded immediately to every request I was working on to get me approved. He treated me and my family so kind!!!

Scott in the business center did a fantastic job of going over my paperwork. Needless to say I am able to give my previous 2002 gmc Envoy leased car back to the car lot and was able to drive away in a awesome new car that I am paying towards ownership now! This location was very professional and I am so happy with my decision to purchase from them! MATT DESERVES ANOTHER STAR AWARD ON HIS CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WELL!!!

I had a couple issues with my Cadillac Escalade and brought it to Carmax where I purchased the vehicle from. I purchased the extended warranty and told them the list of repairs I needed. First day they called and said they had to jump my vehicle and need to replace the battery. I already checked it and it was fine before I took it there. I declined the repair. They call everyday updating on their progress which is good. After they had my vehicle for 8 days they did a test drive and after the repairs of the power steering pump and lines, window switch, gas cap and evap sensor, and shocks and ride height sensors. They said my brakes and rotors need to be replaced and again they only have about 10,000 miles on them. They also said now the ABS light is on and the motor is idling rough. After speaking to a manager who said quote things happen could have been low on gas and some bad gas got put in it. I did not take this well.

So they went back over the vehicle and found that the mechanic broke a ground wire causing these issues. So after 14 days without my vehicle and no loaner they called and said it was done. I went to pick up my vehicle and opened the door and my white leather door panel and handles my driver side carpet and floor mat and door sill plate and seatbelt are covered in grease marks. I went in and grabbed a manager and showed them. They grabbed a gentlemen that took it back and cleaned it. 40 minutes later I get it back and he shows me an ink stain on my door handle that he cannot get out that was not there when I dropped it off and the seat belt is still stained.

So now my stepson is late for his birthday party by an hour because of all this and the manager is not there. The gentleman went and got another manager and she came out and looked. She said that she will talk to the first manager about this and took pics and try to set up to come back and clean it again. So now they want me to bring it back and waste more of my time with no compensation for all the extra time it has cost me. Will be my last trip and purchase from Carmax and will make my experience well known to everyone.

This is for the Tampa Fl Carmax location. Picked up a 2007 Acura TL with 30k, Before completing the purchase I did a google check to see what type of issues the car might have and to make sure the Carmax/Aftermarket Warranty would cover them. Couple of things I found were dash cracking & electrical system problems. I was told at time of sale the warranty would cover it. 5 years later and dash is cracked and warranty will not cover it. Carmax lied to make the sale. I should have called the warranty company in advance to make sure all the info was correct.

I just did an appraisal of a 2009 Ford King Ranch truck with all the options and 99100 miles on it, and the appraiser at this Carmax store in San Antonio, Tx, calculated it at $15000.00. Carmax in Austin, Tx has a similar truck - a 2012 Ford King Ranch truck with 117,000 miles (18K miles more than mine) and priced at $27998.00!! The last conversation I had with a Carmax rep in 2015, he told me that the average profit for Carmax was around $1800 to $2000 per vehicle, which is around 10 to 13% profit, very standard in vehicles profit margins. I did sell a mazda CX-5 to Carmax and did get a competitive offer in 2015, which for the rapidity of the transaction, all went pretty good.

So there has to be some kind of new corporate protocol to make store managers low ball these vehicles. No way a truck like this is worth 66% less than the market value of carguru -which has it at an average of $22700, and specially when they have a 2012 Kingranch truck with 117 K miles at $27998. This means now Carmax wants to make a profit margin in vehicles for 50% +, this is way out of line with consumer guidelines. The weird aspect of all of this is that the Carmax rep gave me 2 offers, one for Carmax at $15,000 and one from Kelly book at $12000.00!!! What was this all about? another drop of 25% from a partner? Why would they do that!! Never seen this kind of behavior before from a Dealer. There has to be a new company protocol in abusing the public in a manner where the average person doesn’t know anything about car values.

I was sitting next to an elderly couple, probably in their middle 70's, and the sales person was driving the whole process to a point of making them buy a car that was way above the average car price. I wanted to step in and advise this couple, but I didn’t. There was another couple with a baby child, they must have been in their early 20’s, and they also looked like spooked deer. So sad to see this kind of car sales tactics coming from Carmax- a company that was founded with the mind set of not bullying the public to buy cars with excessive tactics. Hopefully the consumers will be more informed with this kind of reviews, as to the new corporate management actions.

Carmax Company Profile