Find a Car Dealerships partner

Carmax

3.2/5 (370 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Carmax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

We went to several dealerships. The most any of them would offer me for my 2014 M-B SLK with only 14K miles was $17K & $1.5K for my 2009 Cobalt with 70K miles while wanting Blue Book or more for the SRX we wanted to buy.. Carmax offered $22K for the M-B & $2.5 K for the Cobalt which was exactly what I wanted for both of them AND we got exactly what we wanted in a low mileage SRX for a very reasonable price. We went to them last because I’ve always been a wheeler dealer when it comes to negotiating car purchases buying for thousands less than the asking price. I didn’t need to at Carmax because they gave me what I wanted for my trade ins & sold me a car for a reasonable price. I’m 70 so this is probably my bucket list car but I would strongly urge anyone else looking to at least give them an opportunity.

Original review: July 11, 2021

This was the first time purchasing a 2nd hand car that wasn't through an authorized dealership. What drew me to these sorts of online dealerships because their catalog is completely online, so I was able to sort out what I was interested in without the hassle of dealing with a used car salesman at a physical location. In addition, most of the online car dealerships have pretty good value propositions, like 30-day return, 90-day warranty, etc.

I did my extensive research between CarMax, Carvana, and Vroom, and although they all offer pretty much the same policies, I chose CarMax because they had more physical dealerships where you can ship the car you like to test drive before you buy the car. The cost of the car transfer is not redeemable upon purchase, but to me, that was a fair price to pay to make sure the car is without "surprises."

The car took about a week to arrive (SF to LA), and I was able to do a 24-hour test drive. This is another great value proposition most other dealerships don't have that I found useful. I was able to take it to the freeway and back to my home to see how it fits in my garage. I went back after 3 hours and bought the car. After a week my car started making noises whenever I backed up. I took it back to CarMax (the one near mine has a service center) and they fixed it in a day. Also, they provide free Lyft rides, which is convenient so you don't need to wait at the shop. Since the repair was within the 90 day warranty period, they replaced the brakes free of charge. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and will return if I ever look for another 2nd hand car. Below are some unrelated notes you may find useful:

- CarMax has an optional 5 year warranty plan.
- Only vroom cold called once you registered an account with them. All of them will call you if you did a pre-qualification with them.
- CarMax was started by Circuit City, in '93 I believe (experience).
- When you request the 24-hour test drive, sales will push you to buy and use the return policy instead. Resist if you are not sure since opening a financing account will affect your credit score.

- Check your tire PSI (mine had 40 psi in the front right and 30 in the others), motor oil, replace air filters after you buy your 2nd hand car.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2021

So I want to start off by saying that I researched CarMax, and other online car dealers 4 months before I made the decision to finally purchase. I read a lot of reviews that were very disheartening, and made me question whether or not my decision was sound. In the end I chose CarMax simply because the amount of negative reviews in recent history was much lower than those of their competitors. Finding the car on their website or in the app is fairly simple, and securing a transfer was all so simple. My transfer was free, that way I did not have to pay anything out of pocket to be able to see the vehicle that I wanted.

Once they had the vehicle it was about 6 days until I was able to view the vehicle and test drive it. During that time they again inspect the vehicle and clean the vehicle, making sure that it's ready. When I got to the dealership, my vehicle was still a little dirty, and I voiced my opinion that to the salesperson that I had and he offered to try and take care of the problem to the best of their ability. I've had the car for over a week now, and I'm very happy with my purchase from CarMax. Everything has been smooth, and the vehicle is just as promised on the website. There were a couple of digital scratches that were not pictured in the app, but they are not enough for me to be unhappy. I will keep it is updated if there happens to be any pickups, but as of right now I am definitely recommending CarMax as a place to shop and buy a used car.

Original review: April 4, 2021

We were looking to upgrade one of our current vehicles with a newer and more luxurious car. As the car we were looking to get rid of was a sedan that is what we decided to look for. Not fully understanding Carmax we let a very nice Cadillac get by us by not having it shipped to the Reno Carmax store. After researching Carmax more we spotted a Lincoln Continental in California that would be shipped to Reno for no charge and a test drive. After a paperwork glitch we were able to arrange a test drive and I really liked the car but it was a little more than I wanted to pay.

Well after attempting to get the price lowered to no no avail we decided this was the car for us and we traded our Buick in and purchased the Lincoln. Which, by the way was our first Ford product in more than 25 years. Overall we are pleased with the Car and Carmax. Will definitely look to them next time we are in the market for a car.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Travis ** is the most amazing sales person at Carmax in Dayton, Ohio! When I arrived at the Dayton CarMax Travis looked clean and professional and greeted me with a smile. I went in on a miserable cold winter evening not knowing what kind of car I wanted. Travis walked the entire HUGE lot with me, happy to let me sit in every car I asked about. He was very knowledgeable and we were quickly able to narrow my search. He's got a great memory so he helped me remember what I liked and didn't like. Over several weeks he located various vehicles for me, had them transferred, and set me up for 24 hour test drives. I am very picky and Travis had extreme patience. Travis always promptly returned my texts, phone calls, and emails. Travis always made sure the vehicles I wanted to see were clean and warmed up when I arrived for my scheduled pick up time.

When I wanted to compare a Lexus RX 350 base trim to an F Sport, Travis went above and beyond and had them both cleaned and parked side by side for me to easily compare the two trims. Travis is not the typical pushy/annoying car sales person. Travis is easy to work with and truly listens to his clients. I am delighted with my car shopping experience with Travis ** at the Car Max in Dayton, Ohio! If you are shopping for a vehicle, it's worth your drive to the Dayton, Ohio Car Max to have the pleasure of working with Travis **. -Susan C. Springboro, Ohio

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

This is my 3rd car purchase from CarMax and up until now all experiences associated with this company have been excellent. My current car was initially scheduled for 12/31/2021 repair and there were no rental cars available so my appointment was pushed back to 1/7/22 which I understood (Covid circumstances). Although the repair on my BMW was approved the warranty company is requiring one repair at a time for a multi factor suspension issue. They waited 3 days for an outside authority to personally clear the recommendations Car Max Service technicians made. The car is disassembled, repaired, reassembled and then a lengthy approval process occurs. The car is disassembled, repaired, reassembled and another several day approval process follows....again and again. This ridiculous process is to repeated 6 times since 6 components are faulty.

The customer service gentleman at Car Max is patient, calm and so helpful. He is on lengthy holds for each and every approval with the warranty company. The technicians are taking my car apart and putting it back together over and over and over even though it was clear from the start which parts needed replaced. There is no regard for this customer who purchased the warranty which covers the problem my car is having. There is no indication of when my car will be done. 15 days so far and not even close. I have been advised at least another week. Delays are understandable. This process is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I found a car on CarMax's site that looked great. Unfortunately, it was in California and I needed it Florida. Since I was having trouble finding the car I wanted, I agreed to pay CarMax $2000 to ship the car to Florida. After it arrived, it took 2 weeks or so for CarMax to allow me to see the car. They said that they wanted to get it ready and ensure everything was in great shape. When I finally saw the car, it was in poor shape and I was told that significant additional repair work would be required. Meanwhile, I am driving around in a rental car after my previous car was destroyed in an accident. Obviously, I was furious. After about a week, CarMax agreed to refund my $2000 in shipping costs as they understood that the car was not as advertised in the listing, which priced the car at $63k. While disappointed with the experience and lost time, I was pleased that CarMax stepped up to do the right thing and refund me my shipment fees,.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I purchased a 2012 Honda Crosstour from Carmax. It was a beautiful car and its engine was a superstar. At about 92,000 miles the engine light came on. I am a shade tree mechanic so I put my diagnostic tool on it and it gave me an error code. I researched the codes and what the steps were to fix them. I called Carmax service and the wait time was three weeks out. The error code fixes were easy enough, so I replaced the oil sensors rear and front, spark plugs, coils, MAFS. The engine light still came on. So I did some more research. It seems there was a Class Action Lawsuit regarding this engine. There was an extended warranty that was part of that settlement. It expired in 2020. However the lawsuit nor the extended warranty were not made available to those that did not file paperwork for the CAL.

I advised Carmax of the CAL and the ring issue disclosed by Honda Corporate in trying to remedy the issue. It has been about 8 weeks three visits to Carmax and the issue persists. When it came to a rental an extension to the 10 day limit was given. Then on the last visit they gave me a loaner. The loaner was a Dodge SUV which turned out to have a severe vibration in the front end. I told Carmax about the issue and was told they did not have another loaner. I had to cancel a lengthy trip due to not having a vehicle that worked. In addition to them throwing up their hands due to an unavailable loaner, their communication flows like concrete! To add insult to injury Carmax would not warranty the parts I installed because they were not HONDA stuff. I am so disgusted! I thought I had a 300,000 mile car. If you have a VTEC engine make sure you have an extended warranty!!!!

Ken G

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

9 days ago I was approved for a car. The car was shipped in two days. It was supposed to be delivered. They said I had to come to store. I told them I had Covid. They said come anyway. The manager was unwelcoming, told me my documents weren't correct and frowned on me because I had Covid. He was rude so I walked out. I called from outside and was told I was banned because of Covid. I got home talked to a nice lady named Danielle. She went thru documents and assured me I was good.

The next day they said they couldn't bring car because I had Covid. I called corporate. I was told if I wait 5 days they would bring car. 5 days later I got a text saying my documents weren't correct. At this point I have talked to 5 different people telling me 5 different stories. And during all of this my 94 yr old mom is in the hospital fighting for her life. I was honest about Covid and they treated me like a dog. I have paid 300 for car insurance and still don't have the car. I'm a patient understanding person but this is Ridiculous. This has been hell. They don't care about customers, just about getting your money. I wish I had read the reviews first because many people have had a negative experience with them. I need a car but I rather walk.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Found a car online, got an offer online for my trade in and make an appointment to go in. 3 trips and 6 total hours at the dealership later I'm good to go with my new car. I pull out of the dealership parking lot and I see the check engine light is on! Call CarMax and they tell me to bring the car back tomorrow. Good thing I look for myself because the service center is not even open on Sundays. So I bring it Monday and they tell me to bring it to the BMW dealer down the street and see if they have a loaner for me! BMW doesn't have a loaner so Carmax agrees to give me one. I set it up the day before and it still took them 1.5 hours to get me my loaner once I arrived. This company does not care about customer service. Do business with them at your own risk! If your time is valuable this goes double. I'd love to just return the car but once you're down the rabbit hole you're pretty much stuck.

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Carmax Company Information