Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Carmax
3.55/5

Carmax

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

796 Carmax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

We did not buy a pickup from CarMax but... Bill from Murrieta, CA showed us around their facility and test drove two used trucks with us. He was very informative and patient. We were very specific with what we wanted and they did not have what we were looking for. Bill was awesome in trying to find our truck for us and even though we eventually bought our new truck from another dealer our experience at CarMax was great and I will be referring friends and family to try CarMax first. Thank you Bill!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

It appears to me that the issues people are stating do not fall under warranty, that is why warranty wasn't used. Warranty doesn't cover everything, especially wear and tear like tires for instance, or mold. Also, if you have issues with the smell from the beginning why wouldn't you ask for it to try to be fixed before you bought it. I have a CarMax Mini Cooper, 2011 and extended warranty and I'm responsible for things such as dim lights or tires, etc. I was going to buy a Volkswagen originally but I could tell a smoker had previously owned the car. They attempted to fix it and it was better but not up to my standard so I didn't buy the car.

The point also is that these are used cars so they are not in mint condition. Too many consumers expect when they buy a used car that it's going to be perfect. Well it's not. If you want a less hassle car buy one you can afford that's new. Certified just means that it meets standards to pass inspection for the most part. Tires are not brand new, brakes are not brand new so if you buy a car with 30,000 miles brakes still may meet standard to pass inspection in your state but you will most likely have to replace them around 40,000 miles. Same with tires. I've always owned new cars, this is my first used car but had realistic expectations, most people do not. I've never had issues with service either, although my 2011 Mini with now 94,000 has had only wear and tear issues that I am responsible for. Too many consumers think that stores like CarMax or other retail stores owe them something more than they do.

In my experience with others who own used cars from CarMax vs other dealerships CarMax service goes out of its way to work with the customer to the best of their ability. I do think that sometimes service can take longer than people would like or expect which can be frustrating but sometimes it's because if the issue is under factory warranty it has to go to the manufacturer dealer and CarMax has no control over how long that takes. I'm so sick of hearing people complain that their six year old used Mercedes needs to go in for service all the time. Many six year old vehicles, even if bought originally new will need service and things will start to break down. You have to judge the car based on the year and mileage of the car. Not have false expectations that because you bought a 6 year old Mercedes at CarMax or any other dealerships and it is new to you that it is actually new, because it is not.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Ok, so first of all - Reading some of these comments are TOO hilarious! Most of them are people who do not have their documents together, not understanding the website or just think they are getting a “new car”. These are ONLY USED CARS! Next, YOU ARE BUYING A CAR! You’re are not getting a combo at Burger King, clothes or some small item - it’s a car! It’s going to take some hours, depending on what you are getting done. Second, you have to get that mess out of your head that USED cars are NEVER going to have any issues. No matter what new age or small of miles, as the first owner or second owner you can NOT predict how they used and took care of that car. I love how Carmax reconditions their vehicles, upfront with the prices and they offer the Extended Warranty. I would only assume those people who don’t get the warranty has the most repair problems and paying thousands of dollars.

Don’t be those people giving the One Stars for service. Every Carmax car I have gotten has had the warranty and out of the 4 Carmax cars I have owned, I have used it on only ONE which saved me over 3,000$! And I only paid 150$ out of pocket. I mean, don’t bank on that Manufacturer Warranty because most of what they “say is covered” is NOT. And last - every time I’ve bought a car from Carmax, I needed proofs like income, residence and insurance. Yeah! Let me prove that I make the money I say I make, I live at the address I say I live at AND let me show you I have current insurance! It’s not hard! It’s not their fault you put ALL of your bills in your wife’s or husband's name, that you don’t have any bills and living rent free - I mean it’s THAT simple! Come on! Also - cars DEPRECIATE! No matter a month, 6 months or 6 years!

You WILL NOT get your money back on a car you just bought months or years ago. NEVER going to happen unless! You put down over 40-50% of the price of the car. That’s just common sense. And quick tip - to the people saying their car “was not saved on the website” you HAVE to confirm the EMAIL address you put on the hold! If not, the car is NOT saved! I mean you are grown people! Let’s read some instructions, accept the fact they sell used cars and have your stuff in order if you have to show proof of something!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been shopping online for the past 6 months for a GMC Yukon XL at multiple websites and have visited dealerships for a test drive. I was a little reluctant when I saw a vehicle that was in my price range with the low mileage that I wanted for sale on Carmax's website because I question where they get their vehicles, reputation, return policy, etc. The vehicle was located two states away and it was a $99 shipping fee to the local dealer by my house, so I figured if I don't like it I will just eat the $99 fee. I must mention that previous to this purchase I did a lot of research, test drove multiple vehicles and made offers at local reputable dealerships, but received the run around treatment and classic used car dealer line of "our vehicles are priced aggressively to sell" with zero flexibility on their overpriced tags (overpriced both on Edmunds and KBB). To say that my patience was at an all time low would be an understatement.

So I took the chance and I had the car delivered (which took two days longer than originally told which was the only downside to my Carmax experience) and scheduled a test drive. The Yukon was fully loaded, had a clean Carfax, had less than 20k miles on it, and had a 36k mile factory warranty. It was exactly what my wife and I were looking for and the price was very fair and accurate to KBB and Edmunds pricing. After I drove the Yukon, I sat down with the dealer and told him I liked what I saw and wanted to purchase the vehicle (at sticker cost) but was going to use my own pre-approved bank financing. He said that is fine, took the bank letter I provided him and in an hour I was on my way home with the new vehicle (fully detailed). THAT WAS IT! NO HIDDEN DEALER FEES, NO TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY ANY ADDITIONAL SERVICES OR PRODUCTS, NOTHING!

He did briefly mention the Carmax warranty options but I chose not to purchase one because I'd rather utilize a certified GMC dealer warranty (which I'm shopping for now) and he did not mention it again after I told him I wasn't interested. This was hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had. No haggling, no pressure, and I was in and out (they even ordered me the DVD headsets that were missing). Traditional car dealerships need to take note of my experience, like the Carmax saying goes, "This is how car buying should be!" And I am not a Carmax employee nor do I know anyone who works there. This was just a really good hassle-free car buying experience that needs to be recognized.

I've read a lot of Carmax reviews and some were good and some were bad, but majority of the poor ones revolved around dealer service and maintenance which is an area I cannot speak on because I did not purchase their warranty. Nevertheless, when it is time for me to purchase another vehicle, I am definitely going to Carmax first.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This is my second time purchasing through Carmax in Norcross, GA. I must say that both times were smooth sailing. The first time, my cash car had given out on me and I needed a car asap. My cousin recommended Carmax so I went online, applied, got my approval for the amount I was willing to spend, walked in the store the next day signed paperwork and walked out with my car. This second time, that same car was in a wreck and was written off. I knew it would be some time while the insurance company did their part but I applied for the amount I was willing to spend to not be in a rental for too long.

Toya at that location worked with me for just about a month while I waited on the GAP insurance to do their part. There was never any pressure. She answered every call, email and text message I sent. I finally had every thing resolved and texted her the night before to come in and see the cars I had saved online. I went in and she was as amazing in person as she was over the phone. I inspected the car I decided on and every thing checked out. I also referred my grandmother who recently moved to the area to that same Carmax and she had a great experience also! Get the GAP insurance! It's a few bucks extra but definitely worth it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata from Carmax. They didn’t want me to test drive the vehicle claiming I had a 7 day test drive and could return it if I didn’t like it. That was the first mistake made. I should have insisted on test driving it and not purchased it. It is on its 3rd trip in for repairs in 4 months and is there currently for a week as of tomorrow. They want to give the car back to me with no radio and schedule another appt to bring it back again. I guess they assume that their consumers don’t have jobs and can easily just bring their cars back and forth.

The warranty only covers the a rental for 7 days, the car was broke down for a week before I could even get it in for an appt. I was told they only care about issues with safety items, however the first time they gave the car back with bad tires and a door lock that didn’t work and had to drive it that way for two more weeks which seems like a safety issue to me. The car was sold clearly without being inspected at all and they expect you to catch all the issues within. The first 30 days or you are ** out of luck. They do offer an extended warranty with a 250 or 300 deductible. All these repairs should have been covered by CarMax. They are the ones who sold this car the way it is.

Between both trips these are the confirmed repairs and there is still another issue they can’t diagnose. So most likely another trip and another $250 for me shortly down the road. Condenser for AC replaced. Both tail light assemblies and the wiring for them. Radio screen had to be removed for repairs. Both front tires replaced. Both window wipers replaced. Door seal for passenger door reinstalled. Tensioner bolt for passenger seat was reinstalled. Door lock actuator for passenger door. Door lock actuator for back passenger door. Starter had to be replaced. Still has a metal scrapping noise that is intermittent and they can’t diagnose it. Brake lights also would not turn off - this was fixed without taking it in.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I researched Carmax online during June 28-29. By the weekend I made up mind and did the online application. Kent was my sales consultant but I did not know that he did not work at the Lithia Springs location. Despite my doubts, he reassured me everything was fine and I was approved. He said and I quote "bring in your pay stubs and shop around for insurance." I did so and wanted to know to reach him directly so he gave me a number to text. This is where the nightmare happened. I never spoke with Kent again until the week of the 4th of July.

I spoke with Lesley, Karen, Craig and one other representative about the shipment of my car but never Kent again until the 3rd. In between all those conversations, Karen discovered that Carmax did not have my title but they were working on it. Again no Kent but he finally calls me because he had been reassigned to the call center in Raleigh. I was disappointed but he assured me he would reach out when the car was delivered.

After all the back and forth, I took my documents to Lithia Springs on the fourth. I arrive with my husband and we meet Chris who asked me twice who was my sales consultant. I told him I asked for one but my request was ignored. He proceeded to help and found out that Kent incorrectly input my information so I had to have my credit run again which caused more inquiries on my credit report.

Then Kent did not tell me I needed a 500.00 deductible to purchase the car which he failed to tell me. Neither did anyone else. Someone should be held accountable at the call center and it is not acceptable to tell customers "we don't overwhelm customers." At what point customers are given what they need to know before spending money and wasting their time.

Original review: June 14, 2019

We went to Carmax on 06/07/19 and bought a Lexus NX 300 at the Lax store. The entire experience was horrible. We went in at 12:30 and three different sales people were assigned to us between 12:30-7:45PM. Once we picked out the car, it took the business office more than two hours to ask us in for signing and only after I spoke to the business manager about it. They completely missed to credit the amount left on our extended warranty despite reminding my sales associate multiple times. Thankfully, the business office completed the process and we were glad to sit in our car. No big yellow bow for us! (Every other car in the driveway lot had it except ours.) We have bought all our cars at Carmax since 2009 and for some reason it has gotten bad and disorganized in the last few years.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I arrived at CarMax, Gulf Freeway, Houston this morning (Wednesday, June 12) around 10:10 am. I inspected the white 2012 F-150 vehicle thoroughly and was pretty much satisfied with what I saw, but didn’t like the sales person pressuring me to hurry. I was just about to close the cash deal and asked about the owners manual and the 2 pair of car keys. The salesperson told me he had only one original key and a duplicate non-program key that was made by a locksmith. He said I can look online for an owners manual on a Ford website. I had already written the check to buy the vehicle, but decided that if is the way CarMax does business, I no longer want to purchase this vehicle. When I told the salesman that I changed my mind about this purchase, he didn’t seem to care. It appears that CarMax is so anxious to sell cars that they have forgotten who the real customer is and will say anything right or wrong to sell a vehicle. Thank you,

Original review: June 9, 2019

I am very disappointed with Carmax's most recent experience. I’m a repeat customer from 2012 with a 750 credit score. My recent experience with purchasing a vehicle (2 days ago) was horrific and I am not at all happy with Carmax! They sold me a lemon that was obviously not thoroughly checked prior. As soon as I drove off the lot around closing time with the 2011 Buick Enclave from the Town Center Kennesaw Ga location, then several engine light error codes popped up.

I returned the vehicle yesterday and a service man claimed that the brake light was no major issue. He did something to clear the light but 20 minutes after I left the lot again then the light came back on with additional dashboard error lights. I recorded a video of the experience. ERROR CODES: (*) Brake Engine Light, (*) ABS error, (*) Service Traction Control, (*) Service Stability Track.

I have a large fan base on YouTube and will be posting my horrible experience. Years ago Carmax was great but now every car I've driven for purchase in the last 2 weeks has had driving issues or engine light error codes. I was offered a very high interest rate when I have excellent credit. I've already had to switch out of 2 cars and now a 3rd in the last 2 weeks. I can't keep dealing with crap cars and getting hard pulls on my credit until I find a good driving vehicle. I'm so sick Carmax!!!

Original review: June 9, 2019

My experience suggests that this company is geared to sell cars. When is comes to backing their warranty and/or refunding your money, then they aren't so good. Bought a used Jeep in May, 2019 with 8k miles on odometer. When I took it to the Jeep dealership for service on safety recalls three days later, the vehicle registered over 81k miles on the engine computer. Later, the instrument panel started malfunctioning intermittently. All this happened during the stated 30-day warranty. Now, Jeep won't replace the instrument cluster because they say the low mileage is wrong and I just want my money back from CarMax. Currently, I'm having difficulty getting assurances that anyone is responsible for helping process a refund. As an old, retired person, I would like some assistance. I guess the old adage holds: 'Buyer beware.'

Original review: June 4, 2019

I purchased a 2008 GMC Arcadia from CarMax Riverside in April 2017. I got the MaxCare warranty for the peace of mind I was told it would bring. Two weeks into driving the vehicle the transmission went out and CarMax purchased the vehicle back with No hassle and found me a 2009 GMC Arcadia. Again I purchased the MaxCare warranty for the peace of mind. After 5 months the vehicle started giving me issues and I took in and the engine coils were bad. CarMax warranty took care of me. I had the same reoccurring issue four months later and again CarMax took care of me. Then the turn of the year here in 2019 happened and again I was having issues with the car. I took in and I was told the vehicle needed a new engine. Such a major repair I was told it would be a couple of weeks.

A couple of weeks go by and after spending money on a rental because CarMax has a one week policy for coverage, I was called and told upon further inspection that the fuel pump is no good either and that another week or so was needed. So bills are adding up as I still am making car payments and yet have to pay for a rental to transport my 3 children and go to work. Two weeks go by I was called and said the car was good to go. I go and pick up the car only to be told now the transmission isnt responding to the new engine and went out so now a new transmission is needed. BUT here is the catch, because so much repairs has been done the warrant runs out and there would be a $700 balance. I went to panic because I believed that the warranty was a safe haven a PEACE OF MIND for me and my family and no the fact was that the car was over $21,000 in repairs and at its limit.

I contacted customer relations who put me in a No Cost loaner vehicle so that I wouldnt have an expense on the rental and stated that the transmission would be fixed and appraisal on the car would be made so that I could get out of the car and into something that wouldnt be an issue. So after a total of 9 weeks I yesterday got the appraisal back and it came back at $5500 which is $11,00 less than what I Owe on it and $16,000 less than what they spent to repair it. This couldnt be happening I thought I believed since CarMax was with me the whole way there was something they could do to assist me in this. NOPE. I was given a few option in which none were financially feasible or made sense as to taking back the vehicle which meant if it broke down I would be responsible for it as the warranty is no longer good.

The other option is a voluntary charge off where I release the car back to them and take a hit on my credit. Nothing else they could do for me as my family and I invested in them and they stood by us till the end when they said, "YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN. GOOD LUCK." Thank you CarMax for selling me two lemons and not stepping up and doing the right thing here.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Their estimate in Myrtle Beach are pure thievery. We were going to trade in our car 2007 Edge fully loaded. They are thief and just want to rip people off. They're not fair and better than anyone. Don't ever go to one in Myrtle Beach SC.

Original review: June 3, 2019

So they replaced my engine after having it for over 30 days and I have an additional 634 miles on the car and no one know why and the oil change was done a day before picking up reflecting miles 634 miles less than what it was when I dropped it off 30 days ago. What action should I take?

Original review: June 2, 2019

Horrible waste of time trying to sell my car at Carmax. We had a 2010 Equinox that was in great condition with 75000 miles. When they assessed my car, they listed things wrong which were totally untrue: damaged engine, doors damaged, not running right, etc. They gave a trade in price of $3000. On Kelly’s the trade in minimum is $6000. We walked out, but what really pissed me off is that as we were walking out, Matthew, the saleperson we were assigned, told us not to have anyone test drive the car if we wanted to sell it at a higher price. Like the car was going to break down. Well, after we left we posted our car on Autotrader and we were able sell it for $7700. And the car did not break down on the test drive! I would avoid Carmax and not trust them, whether buying or selling a car. AVOID!

Original review: May 25, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Chevy Sonic in October of 2017. The car was perfect up until the warranty went out.. Since then I have had to put sooo much money into the car. Did I mention I was overcharged for the car. The car is a real LEMON... The service was awesome though.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Bought a car at CarMax in Brandywine last week. Was encouraged by Anna that we didn’t need to test drive it because it would take much longer to finish the transaction, we had 7 days to return it if something was wrong. So we purchased it. On the drive home the windshield started cracking. We stopped and inspected it and noticed a small, circular area where it appears a rock had hit it, but the area had a sticker placed over it. A rock hadn’t hit it on our drive, so it appears CarMax but a sticker over it to hide it. As this was preexisting, we called CarMax the next day, and the first time were hung up on. Then we called and were told told to call back when the manager was in.

We called back and explained the situation and was told to submit to our insurance. We don’t want to submit to our insurance due to the fact the rock chip was there when CarMax sold it to us (and covered with a sticker by CarMax), plus insurance requires a deductible paid out of pocket. So we told them we were bringing the car back to return it, and they backpedaled and said to call back the next day. We called back and the manager won’t be back until May 20th. So now it’ll be past the 7 day return window! I’m sure they put us off repeatedly on purpose so it would be outside of the 7th day window. Meanwhile the crack has been getting worse and worse. So upset! CarMax needs to fix the crack because it was there before we bought the car! Stay away if they won’t take responsibility for the cars they sell!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Great service, not so great cars. I am now under the impression that while cars are at Carmax, they probably are receiving or receive a deodorizer treatment. Three days after taking ownership of my vehicle, a strong odor began to become apparent. It was difficult to identify but it had a moldy mildew smell. After researching online, I discovered a forum that suggested I look into the cabin air filter. I did and what I found was shocking. Rat droppings!! Yes, it looks as though rodents had eaten through the filter and built a nest or den there. Photos attached. I almost lost my lunch. The thought of me breathing this in for the past few weeks while I sit in traffic is gross! Thanks a lot Carmax. Buyers beware, customer service is excellent and vehicles run and look good but unfortunately smells are masked rather than resolved.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I am looking for an SUV and saw one online at CarMax in Roseville. I am not even going to check it out now. There are way too many bad reviews for some on them to not be true. Shame on this company. I think customer service is important.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Will NEVER go back to Carmax in Brooklyn Park, MN. Our appointment was at 5. They jerked us around asking for more documents needed that they said nothing about before hand. They had us transfer insurance to the car we were buying. Then tried to say we needed to pay more money because the appraisal on a car we were trading in expired and by that point it was closing and the appeasers went home. We said it was done within the 7 days the website stated, they then told us they had it.

We stated we were not leaving w/o the car my son was purchasing and after more dinking around and complaining to the manager because now it was 10:15 mind you we got there for our 5:00 appointment we were told my son needed a co-signer because even though he had the proof of work history it was not with the same company (which the sales guy said nothing about, and tried to play it off like he just found out). Needless to say we didn’t leave Carmax until 11:20 pm with the car we went there to buy.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Went to CarMax to get an idea of what my car was worth as I was starting to look for a car. The appraisal was low at $700 considering Kelley Blue Book said $3,000. In those 3 weeks I bought a car and not from CarMax. Same day I bought the car I took my old car to CarMax. This time ready to sell. This time the appraisal was for $400. The car was driven no more than 25 miles in that time and zero changes made to the car. I was given the exact same reasons the estimate was $700 but this time the value of the car was cut in half. The only thing that changed on the appraisal was the odometer and that wasn’t even one of the reasons given to me for this insult and was of time. I know it’s not a huge some of money but to a family of 5 it sure as stuff is.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Had 5 different offers for my car, by far Carmax gave me the best deal over by 175 dollars. Deal was done in less than 30 minutes. Best used car dealer ever in Chicagoland. Highly recommended. Stop here first before anywhere else to save time and efforts.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Went in to buy a car and ended up deciding on a 09 BMW, I was approved and they told me to get insurance on the car and pick up the next day. I paid 300 dollars to get insurance. They had me running around for 4 days getting all the paperwork they "needed" that I had already submitted. And every time I went in it was a new person helping me. In the end they had the nerve and call me and say they won't do business with me. Basically they didn't like the way my boss pays me and does his stubs. They were forcing me to use one of their computers to log into my bank statements or company time clock, basically so they. Could monitor me. After being told "You're all set to pick up your car tomorrow". I even called the loan company and said everything was good and we're waiting for the contract to be sent. Shady. I would give this place 0 stars if I could.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased a $13,000 Honda CR-V EX-L from Carmax. In hindsight, the car was probably $3000 overpriced. I purchased the vehicle 6 mos. ago, in November 2018, and have since had to sink $4000 into maintenance that should have been covered under their infamous "120 point" inspection. My latest debacle with this vehicle involved a full replacement of the air conditioner condenser at $1000+. What concern would Carmax have selling me an EX-L model without a functioning A/C in November, right. Other problems involved fully engine gasket replacement, fouled spark plugs, and I can go on and on and on.... Bottom line -- AVOID CARMAX LIKE THE BLACK PLAGUE. THEY EXIST FOR THE PURPOSE OF RIPPING YOU OFF!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I had problems with my air the day I purchased vehicle. They put me in a rental only to say they fixed it but no they didn’t. Then they sent to Kia. Still not working. Two years later and I still owe three years on this vehicle and I need a new engine due to no neglect on my end. Thanks for selling bad cars and no they don’t do any kind of point inspections. If they did I would not have this many issues.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I don't know if the Carmax site qualifies since it actually has brick and mortar stores but, the ability to search model, year and price and have the car brought to me was important. Also, it was comforting to know that they have a certification process for each vehicle sold.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Found Vehicle of interest in Maryland. Had it shipped to King Of Prussia in attempt to test drive & inspect it on 4/8/19 - Dealt with person named Josephine @ Carmax via internet. Received email that vehicle was on location in KOP & forwarded a buyer's contract to sign prior to inspection. "Putting the Horse before the Cart!" Replied with email on Friday 4/12/19 that needed to test drive & inspect vehicle prior to signing any contract. No response. Advised Josephine would be back on Monday, 4/15/19. Emailed 2 more times, setting up appointment to test drive & inspect vehicle on Wednesday, 4/17/19 at 10:00 am. Drove hour away with my wife to inspect & test drive the vehicle.

Josephine whom was scheduled to be there at 9 am was no show, and neither was the vehicle. Told that vehicle was not on the property, reasons unknown. Nothing but frustration, disappointment, and a total waste of valuable irreplaceable time. Place is locked up tight with an atmosphere of a prison! No looking at cars without employee by your side! Tried to look at vehicles in lot & was told to go into the service area. Congratulations CARMAX. You get a "F" as it was the worst attempt to purchase any vehicle in my life! With your present CARMAX Service your CARMAX will most likely end as your Circuit City did! What a total Ignorant Disgrace!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Please DO NOT take your car to Carmax for an appraisal!!!! I owned a 2007 Cadillac XLR that was in like-new condition and they offered me only 13,000 for it. I then took it to a dealership and they gave me 21,000 on the spot for my car. I was not shopping for another car.... Only wanted to sell the Cadillac.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Had to replace the engine after owning for 6 months. When the engine was pulled from the car, it was discovered it was not the original engine.... It was one that came from a junkyard. The dealership has given me the "runaround". Informed me today they would not do anything for me. This is a fraud.... Car marketed with 35K miles with an engine from a junkyard with unknown mileage. None of this disclosed. Still waiting for Joe ** to call me back. Do the right thing Carmax!! I will not stop until you do. Joe my number is **.

Original review: March 27, 2019

If Carmax associates were the best they would take care of a friend of mine’s son who bought a CRV in White Marsh with a vibration right off the lot that only required a 3 hour fix/computer update trust me I have had a CRV and that’s all it needs to fix the problem, so this has turned into Carmax still having the car after a month with him using a brand new car for a loaner car which I’m sure Carmax needs back. So management and employees are giving them a total run around with the entire thing when it should have been just a simple fix from the start. He hadn’t even made the first payment or even taken delivery of the car yet shame on CarMax to take his hard earned money. Co workers and other friends aren’t going to Carmax ever again! I’m spreading the word and letting everyone know this place has no customer service and to avoid at all cost!

CarMax expert review by Tom Rains

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

Profile picture of Tom Rains
Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carmax Company Information