Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

751 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Carmax sold me two ** vehicles with electrical problems. One of the vehicle engines seized up - I will never ever buy another vehicle from Carmax. Please do not buy vehicles from Carmax - the vehicles they sell have or had major problems.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I will NEVER do business with CarMax again and I suggest you think twice before you do. The return period policy is much too short. In my case I co-signed for a loan with CarMax to help my son get a car. The return period policy did not allow enough time for his insurance company to get back with him with the new premium amount. Once it did and we discovered that it would be prohibitively expensive, we were forced to return the car. He had the car for 30 days (we had first brought it back after a much shorter time) and we are being charged over $2,000 for his having had the car for one month.

I feel like I have been robbed, no really violated in a most inappropriate way. So my caveat is that one go into such a transaction with eyes wide open because you are going to get royally SCREWED like I did if you have to return the car after 5 days. I used to have some confidence in this company, but no more. I am on my way to the dealership now to receive the proverbial rubber glove treatment. I will be advising all of my friends and family from now on to avoid CarMax.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I paid to have a Mercedes GLA 45 AMG shipped from Alexandria. It got here and I drove it. I planned to buy it. It was not washed well when it was on the lot and had some areas on the paint that I was concerned about. I told the salesman to wash it and I would look at it before buying. It was halfway washed at best. It still had areas I was concerned about. Long story short, it was washed 3 times and never was clean. I could tell someone had done a horrible job trying to touch up rock chips on the hood. I could have done a better job. I asked to see the manager and he told me it was a used car, but I was getting a great deal on a 120,000 dollar AMG car. The guy has no clue, these cars were in the 60 to 70,000 range when new. So, I walked out.

Additionally, it had a nonstandard blanket covering the turbo. Your guys from the service department told me that there might have been a problem with heat from the turbo blistering the paint. Really??? Do you really think Mercedes would build a car that would have that problem? This is my first experience at Carmax and it was not a good one. Carmax is no better than the shady car dealer in a bad neighborhood. I am very disappointed in their lack of ethics and low standards.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been dealing with Carmax for a while 2 years to be exact. I feel they really drag this out in hopes that I couldn't do anything to get rid of this car. I trusted them because they know better than I, I am no mechanic right? This nightmare all started with a rattle that took them numerous attempts to fix. Took my tow hitch off and put it back on etc... just to find out it was my shocks. Took it in for a noise. Something started smoking under the hood. Told them the transmission wasn't shifting right. They told me that's how they run, a year after told me they would appraise my car at 1000 dollars because the tranny is going out and the car is rusting. There is no way in 2 years a car rusts that bad that the value decreases that much. I owe 14 on the pos and it's worth like 3. They have attempted to fix a hissing in my dash for a year now.

I have been deeling with carmax for awhile 2 years to be exact I feel they really drug this out in Hope's that I couldnt do anything to get rid of this car.. I trusted them because they no better then I , I am no mechanic right this nightmare all started with a rattle that took them numerous attempts to fix. took my tow hitch off and put it back on etc.. just to find out it was my shocks. took it in for a noise something started smoking under the hood. told them the transmission wasnt shifting righ they told me that's how they run, a year after told me they wuld appraise my car at 1000 dollars because the tranny is going out and the car is rusting ther is no way in 2 years a car rusts that bad that the value decreases that much. I ow 14 on the pos and its worth like 3. they have attempted to fix a hissing in my dash for a year now .

I was told, "I never heard a car make this noise," then I was told it is normal. I had a wheel fall off while my husband was on the highway, they fixed it as a courtesy. Funny how another wheel just came loose this past month. Same wheel they took off to inspect it in the beginning of December. Then come to find out at some point the wrong lug nuts were put on the car but they fixed it as a courtesy to me as the customer because apparently the fact that they took the tire off not even a month prior they didn't notice someone put the wrong lug nuts on, or what about the first time the tire came off, or what about the fact you guys have done work to my car around the wheels multiple times in 2 year, 5 or 6 times actually and no one noticed the wrong lugs were on it?

Or maybe the fact that this was your fault and there are lives at risk when the wrong lug nuts are on a tire. My 5 kids, the child I babysit and all of my girl scouts that have been in my car, mine and my husband's and anyone else who has been in my car or hell the road around me their lives were all actually at danger if the wheel that fell off the first time would have went flying on the highway, or if it actually would have came off the second time all 5 kids were in my car!!! But thanks for your courtesy!! Then I had to argue about them fixing the transmission after it was already a problem I brought up and was told it is nothing. They had my car while fixing said transmission for 3 months. I was told it was a transmission rebuilt. They actually put a used transmission in it. Oh and when I got the damn thing back after 3 months they broke the damn radiator so it had to go back again!!! And you guessed it that didn't get done right either.

They busted the grill near the radiator and never tightened the bolts and I could go on and on and on with this car. It was as in an accident. We didn't know about till I got it appraised at a Chevy dealer so make sure you ask for the facts. Make sure you see them!!! Have they tried to fix the issues? Yes they have and I get it. I got a used car but there is no reason for this. You guys drag this out so long. Telling me twice you were doing 125 point checks or whatever to the point that it has been 2 years and now that I have just had it with the car and I want out of it I'm told, "The best you can do is trade in value." You have been very courteous so far so without a lawyer (which I have a consultation with tomorrow) I am going to get nowhere. You guys sold a faulty car. Just make it right.

I'm not asking for a lot. All I wanted was for you to come close to what I owe as a trade in so I can afford to get out of it. I know it is used and I drove it for 2 year. I also know that when you leave the lot the value decreases but I also know had I not trusted you with your pointless 125 point checks I would have tried to get out of this car a lot sooner and I wouldn't be here!! Guys if you are looking for a used car this is not the place!! Do your research. I wish I would have!! I will be in touch with the lawyer again tomorrow. I will be doing a review through the BBB. I will be posting on every outlet I can. I don't want anyone else to go through the nightmare that I have!!! Because you deserve a car you can enjoy and a car that you feel safe driving your family in!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I bought a F-150 truck from that in June of 2015. The second day I had it the alternator and battery died (that should have been a sign to return the truck, but unfortunately I loved the truck by them). I've had nothing but PROBLEMS with this truck. I've had to replace the battery and alternator twice, replace TRANSMISSION ($3,000), AC broke, replace catalytic converter ($700), spark plugs and wires replaced (500+), just to name a few things. And now they say it needs a new engine! I paid for an extended warranty when I bought the truck b/c it was a little older and I wanted to make sure I had coverage if something broke down.

In August of 2015 was the first time I complained about the "ticking" noise I was hearing. My AC was broken too. The receipt for the work says "could not hear ticking noise due to AC being broken." REALLY? They didn't even attempt to find out what was causing it. Every time I brought my truck in there I complained about the ticking noise and it feeling like it's going to conk out. Now the warranty is expired, and of course now they hear the noise and it's the engine. But they won't fix it under the warranty b/c they said I had to bring it back within 60 days of the service. But THEY NEVER FIXED IT AT ALL!!! They are shysters and try everything in their power to not fix something.

The last time I brought my truck in there they said it needed new spark plugs. So $500 later my truck was worst than when I brought it in. My new mechanic said those are the worst spark plugs on the market that they put in, don't belong in an F-150 and would have ruined my truck even more! When I called her and complained about how my truck was worst now after they put the spark plugs in, she told me, and I quote "that was just a jumping off point." Really? So I had to have them replaced the very next day after Carmax supposedly put them in. It's very frustrating dealing with them. They should have fixed it under the warranty, but they know it's an expensive thing to fix, but I bought the extended warranty for that reason! I've spent over $10,000 in the last three years trying to get this truck to work and it's still not working!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I am looking for a 2007-08 Toyota Solara Convertible. Carmax had one in Las Vegas so I pushed the button to get it sent to Santa Fe NM for $250 so I could look at it. No response so I called and asked about the car. They told me that they didn't know if I or someone else had a hold on it. I was never called back and the car went back up for sale so I asked for a transfer and never heard back. Then someone from the first transfer emailed and said that the car was up for sale and was I still interested. I give up. I guess that they don't want to transfer the car or I don't know. Carmax sounds like a good idea if you can get the car and are willing to pay top dollar.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Leaf from the Carmax Costa Mesa store, in May 2016. We specifically asked, if the extended warranty covered the battery. Especially because we knew how expensive it is to replace. We wanted to make sure, it would be covered if the manufacture warranty expired. We were told yes, so we purchased the extended warranty. Now I find out today, the extended warranty doesn't cover any batteries. This is the engine of the car. How can you not cover this? We would not have wasted our money paying for the extended warranty and probably would have bought a different car.

When I spoke to the sales manager today, he refused to give me his last name. He said he could refund us, what is left on the warranty. He also told me the warranty for the battery from Nissan was for 8 years, 100,000. Not the information I received from Nissan. I received a letter, the warranty expired 5 years, or 60,000, which was October 2017. The 8 year warranty is for the newer cars. Refunding the amount that is left on the extended warranty, is not good enough. Minimum, I want the entire amount of the warranty refunded. We have bought several cars from Carmax, as has our family. That may not be the case anymore. What are you going to do Carmax, to make this right?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I just spoke with a Representative not too long ago today. I was appalled at how rude I was spoken to. Carmax has used cars for high prices, and yet still will speak to you like you are not a valued customer. I cannot wait until I have paid off this car so I can take my business elsewhere. Every time I speak to a Representative they are never warm or welcoming.

I am in customer service as well and if I ever treated customers the way Carmax does I would be unemployed. Carmax really needs to have better training for onboarding Customer service reps. If your desire is to not help people then why apply for the position. I will definitely be letting everyone I know and as much people as I can reach to NEVER do business with this company! The lady answered the phone with a monotone voice and had a very rude tone and attitude. She also told me an untrue statement about my record when I explained about why my payment was shorted on my account! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. They are very rude and disrespectful and take your money in the process.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

This insurance is very deficient and very bad attention, I had a sound on my wheel that has more than 1 year and Carmax still had not covered and had not repaired, I recommend not to buy cars on Carmax and either to take the warranty.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I test drove two cars and then requested a transfer from Newark Delaware. I had no idea this would take a week. My calls and email messages were not returned. On the seventh day I went to look at the car and my salesman was busy but assigned another associate. The $30,000.00 car had a deep, wide scratch and a deep ding on the rear driver's side door. Carmax repaired the scratch with a brushed on paint. I commented that the deep scratch & ding needed to be filled sanded and spray painted properly. The manager came out and said the brushed on paint repair was acceptable for Carmax standards. The maintenance required light and a yellow warning light were on. No one knew how to turn it off. I went straight to the nearest Lexus dealer and bought a certified pre-owned car.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I knew that car dealers and their lender companies were complete and utter crooks, but with how screwed over I have been getting screwed over by both of them, it's ridiculous. If they give you the lending company American Credit Acceptance, RUN OUT THE DOOR ASAP! They love to lie and steal your money.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

We did not buy a pickup from CarMax but... Bill from Murrieta, CA showed us around their facility and test drove two used trucks with us. He was very informative and patient. We were very specific with what we wanted and they did not have what we were looking for. Bill was awesome in trying to find our truck for us and even though we eventually bought our new truck from another dealer our experience at CarMax was great and I will be referring friends and family to try CarMax first. Thank you Bill!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I bought a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta from Carmax on December 12th 2017 with 50 thousand miles on it. After the week return was up that’s when the transmission issues hit. After taking it to them 5 times with them pretty much calling me crazy I gave up. I have now owned the car for a year and it sits in my driveway because on top of all the transmission issues the timing jumped causing all pistons to hit the valves. There are metal shavings throughout the whole motor block. I still make payments on a car that is essentially totaled needing a 9000 dollar engine and transmission swap.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I went to Carmax located in Stockbridge, Ga to purchase a reliable car and was sold a lemon Chevy Malibu that I couldn't drive for 8,500 miles and now my engine is no good at a $2100 cost. Thanks to Carmax.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

BUYERS BEWARE! CARMAX-6300 NW 167th St Hialeah, Fl 33104. Two Bad Experiences. I went in MAY 2017 to purchase a Car which was a Chrysler 200. I drove a car for less than a month and the vehicle started making some sort of jerking motion and the dash lit up with the check engine light on. I took the car back to Carmax service department on several occasions which patched the car in hopes that I would drive the car past the warranted miles or they simply did not care to fix the problem.

In August I took the car to the service department. They gave me a rental per contract. They called me weeks later stating the car had been fixed to come pick it up. I went to pick up the vehicle and the same problem existed. So went inside and got the sales manager whom witnessed the problem and allowed me to keep the rental. He also guaranteed me he would address it with Service the next day. Weeks passed by the service department contacted me and said the Chrysler was ready. The car has some sort of engine problem. I then made a decision that I did not want purchase that vehicle and returned it to get another vehicle which was a Kia Optima 2015.

The Kia Optima seemed to have a oil leak. I took the vehicle to CARMAX service department which seems to could not find anything wrong, then I took it to the RX & Shop and also Sunshine Kia which both have recollection of the oil leak. Sunshine Kia replaced Valve - Canister. Let me remind you this a year 2015 Kia Optima. The replacement valve was done in the year 2017. CARMAX has a service agreement warranty for mileage. I purchased the one for 75,000 miles. It is a SCAM. BUYERS BEWARE especially female buyers. The agreement is for the mileage on the dash and not your mileage usage. If you are purchasing a car that already has 30,000 miles on it is useless. You will be paying for a plan which covers someone else's mileage on the car and not yours alone.

Another CarMax Swindle for single parent female buyers like me who think they are buying protection when they are buying scams. The car makes a loud noise and stop driving past 5 miles per hour. I had the Car towed to Hollywood Kia which checked the car out and stated it was possible Engine problems. I only had this car for 14 months. This story sounds familiar. The Chrysler 200 I originally purchased from CARMAX had the similar or the same problems. I went home and pulled a Car Fact which stated that the Kia Optima possibly has a rollback on mileage and has been involved in an accident in 2016. I purchased the car in 2017.

I walked in to CARMAX and asked for the manager on duty which was **. I presented to him the Car facts along with the diagnosis from SUNSHINE Kia. ** sales manager at CARMAX did not seem pleased about my presence and he was very argumentive and appeared as if he was frustrated because I was seeking help to resolve this matter. Days passed once again no word form CARMAX or **. so I kept calling. Finally they said that there was no rollback. SO I asked to speak to service in which ** is the service manager. We explained to him the situation in which he also acts as if he is unwilling to help resolve the matter.

I asked him to tow the vehicle from Hollywood Kia so his team can check it out to see if he could get a different diagnosis. Hollywood Kia called two days after I spoke to ** at CARMAX and they stated that they have not picked up the car. I went to Hollywood Kia and towed the car again for the 3rd time which now is becoming expensive. Once I got the vehicle to the house I called to speak to ** Service Manager at CARMAX in which seemed to be avoiding my calls. Every time I called CARMAX they asked me my name. He never returned my call.

Finally I called one last time irated then ** the service manager called me back. ** goes on to speak in agitation. He stated that he could not locate the car as if it is my fault. I then begin to educate him on how to conduct customer service by first addressing the tone in his voice. Then educate him further in the sense that if he could not locate the vehicle then the customer service thing to do was contact the customer which is me and ask them if they have the correct information. Since he did not do that he failed to provide adequate customer care in a timely manner.

If I had not gone irate on the operator ** the service manager from CARMAX would have never called me back. My car would have still been sitting at Hollywood Kia accruing storage fees. This is not a professional way to do business with customers. I had to call CARMAX corporation in which worked with the Carmax so I can come to some common grounds to resolve the car situation. I am a single mother of 6 kids. With a great inconvenience from a dishonorable company. I have only had the Kia Optima 14 Months. It has potential Engine Failure.

I am out of their said warranty, out of a car for almost a month and still have a undrivable car. BUYERS especially single mothers beware. The mileage warranty CARMAX offers is a scam. You will be purchasing a warranty that covers mileage for you and the previous owner. CARMAX will not help you resolve your issues if you are a female unless you call corporate. They did not deliver quality customer service and they have sold me 2 car both with Engine failure. They are not reputable and do not have quality used cars.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My teenage son bought his first car through Carmax. They talked us into buying the extra warranty and gap. All was good until he totaled the car in August 2018, we have been fighting with the Safe-Guard gap insurance for months now. They only owed $199 for the car to be paid off. As of now December 11, 2018, it’s still not settled and his credit is a mess, he can purchase another new or used car because of this. They have gave us the runaround and finally we just said forget the gap and we paid out of pocket. Don’t waste your money with this company. Hard lesson learned.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAXCARE!! Purchased a vehicle in 2016 with 14k miles on it. Was pushed to purchase the policy for my vehicle even tho my car was under manufacture warranty. Car sales guy told me it would not take effect until after the manufacture warranty expired giving me an additional 60 months and 15k miles of coverage. THIS IS A LIE! He also told me I would be able to get a refund for the policy if I didn’t use it. I sold the vehicle in 2018 and have been working with HORRIBLE customer service giving me the runaround for 3 weeks. Still NO REFUND!! Yet, The car salesmen make a bonus as you get the policy. When you call customer services the person you speak to will only be there for one week. I’ve spoken to 4-5 different people all telling me something different. Do not purchase MAXCARE policy!! Waste of money and HORRIBLE customer service. BAD BUSINESS POLICY. DONT FALL FOR IT!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I've done all my maintenance my vehicle. "The motor is shot". I have a puddle in the cab, this is a known issue on later vehicles and has a recall (not on my 2012). Called service and they could care less, they offered nothing. I purchased my vehicle in 2015 from Stockbridge, Ga and I still have a loan on it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Sold my car to them of which I purchased from them back in March of 2017 and was told nothing needed to be done on my end in regards to the Secretary of State and that they handle everything. Turns out they do absolutely nothing. Just received parking tickets in the mail for the car I sold to them. The is still in my name and whoever the sold the car to or auctioned it to never transferred anything or put plates on the vehicle. Now I am getting the complete runaround from the Tinley Park store along with their corporate headquarters in Virginia. Every person I speak to gives me a different answer. They claim they are handling it, however every time I contact the city of which the tickets are from they have not done anything at all. To matters worse since I do not have the original title since I signed it over to them there is nothing the Secretary of State can do for me. I would strongly advise to not do business with them and save yourself the headache.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I opted to purchase a car from them and have a FICO score of 788. Carmax chose to keep me as financier at a terrible interest rate of 12.3%. I asked if they shopped me around and they said once Carmax accepts you there is no other choice. I think that this is a HORRIBLE business practice and am now wondering if they do this to all customers or specific ones. My credit union is offering a 3.75 interest rate. In closing get your own financing as CM is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

If you're planning on trading a car at Carmax, do yourself a favor, DON'T. They will lowball you just like their name, to the "MAX". They'll point out non-existing issues, take the car and sell it for way more than twice they paid you. Sell or trade it somewhere else, you will get a LOT more $$$ for it. Now, it's true, it is up to you if you'll accept their offer but their lowballing and appraisers are two things that did it for me and to stay away from them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought a used Chevy Sonic 2014 from CarMax (8400 Anderson Boulevard Fort Worth, TX 76120). I paid $10,000 cash. Another $2,000 during the 7 mos I owned it. The first thing that happened was CarMax said they would inspect the car and have it ready. But when I drive it less than 100 miles all the lights went on. I took it to a car place and they said there were no fluids in the car. They said I should get my money back. I asked them to take the car back and CarMax said no! I don’t drive a lot. Maybe 10 miles a week unless I sometimes work which is 12 miles away.

In July of 2018 I replace the temperature gauge. I also replace the air conditioning coils. Next I replace the tire and battery. All of this in one week. In Sept I was driving to La Jolla and my check engine light went on. I went to a service place right by the red light. They said the engine was leaking and the whole engine needed replacing for $4,000. I took it to Bob Stall and they quoted me $3,000. I ended trading the Chevy in for $1,500. I only had the car 7 mos. I lost $16,000. Now I am retired, no job and $16,000 in debt because CarMax sells bad cars. Do not buy a car from CARMAX.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Car Purchase went fine, Now Car has some problem with Brakes. Service depart don't have Appointment available for next 4-5 WEEKS. They don't understand the Urgency. How safe it is to drive car with having problem with Brakes?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

On March of 2018 I purchased the 6th car from Carmax for my family in less than 5 years! Up to this point I thought the information given on previous accidents was accurate. However, I found this is not the case. The agent gave me a report stating there had been no accidents on the car. But when I went to re-sale the car 5 months later I was told the value of the car was being impacted by an accident in September of 2017. When I contacted the Carmax dealership (Raleigh NC) that sold me the car the Assistant Manager blew it off as no big deal. Apparently this happens all the time!! Please be aware they will NOT stand behind their cars when an issue arises. I’m exploring legal options at this point.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The day I drove the off the lot in Dec 2017 and saw the front glass window was cracked I reported it to Carmax and after several heated discussions they replace the windshield. This purchase was made in Dec 2017. Two weeks later all the warning lights go on. I take it to a oil change shop and they tell me there are no fluids in the car. No oil. No fluids/no fluids at all. I called the Sales manager again and said I want to return the car because it was not properly inspected. I said, "How do I know that the engine block did not crack." I said, "You sold me a car without properly inspecting it." The dealer said no. He said it was past the 7 days of return. I paid $10,000 cash for the car. I only drive 10 miles or more a week. I am retired. I financed $4,000 and paid $2,000 off during that yr. In July 2018, in one week I had to replace the temperature gauge for $400.

Three days later the car would not start; I was stranded in a bank lot. Triple A came to help me and said I needed a battery. It was late Sunday. Store was closed so I bought a battery from them for $245. The next week I paid $200 for the licensing tags at Triple A. They told me the car needed to be smog inspection. I paid but the car did not pass. So the repair place said to drive the car more and keep the gas almost full. Next the tire pressure keep needing air so I bought a new tire. In July 2018. I invested $1,000 in repairs. The air conditioning coils went out too. I took it to Bob Stalls Chevrolet and paid $600. All these repairs were cash transactions. In Sept I went on vacation. When I got back I had a Dr appt. in La Jolla. The warning light came on at a red light. There was a repair shop right at the same corner. The repair person looked at the car and said the engine coils were leaking.

It was a big job. It took 6 days and the cost was between $3,000 to $4,000. The car was a total loss. I had to trade it in on the spot. Bob Stalls gave me $1,500 on the trade and now I am in debt $16,000 for 2017 used Elantra from Bob Stalls Chevy dealer. Carmax sold me a lemon. They have bad business practices. I am forwarding this complaint to Consumers Affairs and the CA car affairs Dept. The selling the car without inspection was terrible. The car had serious defects that were not disclosed. I am 70 yrs old. I am single and I am seriously ill. I have very little income and now all my money is gone because Carmax is selling defective used cars. I did buy the warranty and just cancelled it before everything fell apart. I was sick and had mounting medical bills and I needed to cut back on all my expenses. I lost $14,000 on the car.

My storage locker where all my passions were stored was damaged and I lost almost all I owned. My best friend died in a motorcycle accident. All of this happened in one weeks time. I am lost for words. My whole life has been taken away from me. And I am trying to cope with all these things. I know what the people that lost everything The CA fires feel like but the federal gov. Plus private donations are going to help them. No one is going to help me. I have two master degrees and have worked two jobs all my life so I can retire. Now I can barely put food on the table or pay for my medicine because of Carmax.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

It appears to me that the issues people are stating do not fall under warranty, that is why warranty wasn't used. Warranty doesn't cover everything, especially wear and tear like tires for instance, or mold. Also, if you have issues with the smell from the beginning why wouldn't you ask for it to try to be fixed before you bought it. I have a CarMax Mini Cooper, 2011 and extended warranty and I'm responsible for things such as dim lights or tires, etc. I was going to buy a Volkswagen originally but I could tell a smoker had previously owned the car. They attempted to fix it and it was better but not up to my standard so I didn't buy the car.

The point also is that these are used cars so they are not in mint condition. Too many consumers expect when they buy a used car that it's going to be perfect. Well it's not. If you want a less hassle car buy one you can afford that's new. Certified just means that it meets standards to pass inspection for the most part. Tires are not brand new, brakes are not brand new so if you buy a car with 30,000 miles brakes still may meet standard to pass inspection in your state but you will most likely have to replace them around 40,000 miles. Same with tires. I've always owned new cars, this is my first used car but had realistic expectations, most people do not. I've never had issues with service either, although my 2011 Mini with now 94,000 has had only wear and tear issues that I am responsible for. Too many consumers think that stores like CarMax or other retail stores owe them something more than they do.

In my experience with others who own used cars from CarMax vs other dealerships CarMax service goes out of its way to work with the customer to the best of their ability. I do think that sometimes service can take longer than people would like or expect which can be frustrating but sometimes it's because if the issue is under factory warranty it has to go to the manufacturer dealer and CarMax has no control over how long that takes. I'm so sick of hearing people complain that their six year old used Mercedes needs to go in for service all the time. Many six year old vehicles, even if bought originally new will need service and things will start to break down. You have to judge the car based on the year and mileage of the car. Not have false expectations that because you bought a 6 year old Mercedes at CarMax or any other dealerships and it is new to you that it is actually new, because it is not.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I purchase a vehicle from Carmax Oct 2017. Two weeks ago I went to a different dealer to trade that vehicle in. They ran a Carfax showing that 2 months prior to me buying the vehicle it was reported damaged on the roof and both front fenders. I went to CarMax and they told me that they use Autocheck which is supposed to be more accurate. That is if they report to Autocheck, after emailing back and forth come to find out from their own caseworker that the vehicle had hail damage. So they fix the vehicle, never reported it to Autocheck since they didn't fix it through an insurance company and sold it as if it was never damaged. That is Fraud. So now I'm in the process of looking for a lawyer to take them to court. Don't but a vehicle from CarMax without a Carfax report, don't just take their Autocheck report, they repair vehicles and don't report it to the Autocheck since they don't use an insurance company to repair them.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Found a truck on CarMax.com in Merrillville, IN. and had it transferred to Madison, WI. Before the transfer, a walk around was done and we were told it had no scratches, dings, etc. Drove 90 miles to look at it and major scratch on the side of the truck and 3 other dings/scratches. The manager, Jeremy, was surprised they missed the scratch and since it had the potential to rust, they would send it next door to Abra body shop and have it fixed. Following weekend, made the 90 mile trip again planning to buy the truck. Scratch only slightly fixed. Jeremy said they felt that they could fix it themselves to CarMax standards. CarMax prides themselves with extra clean vehicles that meet high standards. Interior had not been wiped down and dog hair present and scratch fix unacceptable. We were lied to twice - once with the walk around and then with the body shop fix. Wasted gas, time and money. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Ok, so first of all - Reading some of these comments are TOO hilarious! Most of them are people who do not have their documents together, not understanding the website or just think they are getting a “new car”. These are ONLY USED CARS! Next, YOU ARE BUYING A CAR! You’re are not getting a combo at Burger King, clothes or some small item - it’s a car! It’s going to take some hours, depending on what you are getting done. Second, you have to get that mess out of your head that USED cars are NEVER going to have any issues. No matter what new age or small of miles, as the first owner or second owner you can NOT predict how they used and took care of that car. I love how Carmax reconditions their vehicles, upfront with the prices and they offer the Extended Warranty. I would only assume those people who don’t get the warranty has the most repair problems and paying thousands of dollars.

Don’t be those people giving the One Stars for service. Every Carmax car I have gotten has had the warranty and out of the 4 Carmax cars I have owned, I have used it on only ONE which saved me over 3,000$! And I only paid 150$ out of pocket. I mean, don’t bank on that Manufacturer Warranty because most of what they “say is covered” is NOT. And last - every time I’ve bought a car from Carmax, I needed proofs like income, residence and insurance. Yeah! Let me prove that I make the money I say I make, I live at the address I say I live at AND let me show you I have current insurance! It’s not hard! It’s not their fault you put ALL of your bills in your wife’s or husband's name, that you don’t have any bills and living rent free - I mean it’s THAT simple! Come on! Also - cars DEPRECIATE! No matter a month, 6 months or 6 years!

You WILL NOT get your money back on a car you just bought months or years ago. NEVER going to happen unless! You put down over 40-50% of the price of the car. That’s just common sense. And quick tip - to the people saying their car “was not saved on the website” you HAVE to confirm the EMAIL address you put on the hold! If not, the car is NOT saved! I mean you are grown people! Let’s read some instructions, accept the fact they sell used cars and have your stuff in order if you have to show proof of something!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The salesman in CARMAX, Merriam store had presented to me a car accident report with 0 accident i.e clean car, so as a trustful organisation, I proceeded with the purchase. Then 2 years later, I intended to change my car to get another & in the process to trade in my car with the other one, the dealership had shocked me out when he brought the real CARMAX of my car showing that it had an accident one year before I bought it, accordingly my car price dropped like a half of its value due to the above matter. My advise don't trust them & check your car history individually.

Carmax Company Information