Carmax
  • 1 star
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Carmax

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

643 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

First let me say they were very nice but that's can also be because they want to sell you a vehicle. Well I financed a 09 Kia Sedona LX back in January and since it has been in out of the service center since. They said luckily I purchased the extended warranty but not so much when you have to constantly keep paying. The car has put us in many dangerous situations like headlights turning off at night and dash light turning off and on not allowing me to see anything in the car. But since I have gotten ball joints, rotors, brakes ailment, hood props were rotted out, lock mechanism stopped working, lights continue to flicker in dash, replaced fuse box, radio and I just had to get it towed because the starter went. Headlight switch had to be replaced.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

They are the ** worst company to purchase a vehicle from!! Sales to service dept!! Managers are a bunch of kids who can not professionally handle any complaints or situations that arise!!! You are supposed to be happy to purchase a vehicle. They robbed me of that with the BS they put me through and to this day still are!!! I have been to their service dept. 4 times for the same issue. Bunch of idiots. Very unprofessional, rude, selfish company!!! I purchased two vehicles from them in the past and I have seen how this company has gone down!!! No courtesy what so ever to consumers!!!

Please read all the reviews. No joke. They do not deserve your business or anyone's. They will treat you like crap from the beginning to the end - if I did not want this vehicle so bad I would have ran the hell out of the door!!! If I knew beforehand how they conduct business and treat their clients I would never ever have wasted my time with them. Now I am stuck trying to get my vehicle repaired with them not giving a ** about anything!!! I have contact the Better Business Bureau on this place!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze from Carmax in April of this year. Within 30 days of buying the car the turbocharger went out and had a severe coolant leak. When I took the car into the dealership they only replaced the air filter. They WILL NOT address the issues.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Today I went into Carmax to get an appraisal for my vehicle. I had noticed that they had the same vehicle for sale for $17,000. My vehicle had 2000 miles more than] said vehicle. My vehicle also had the panoramic sunroof and spoiler as well as the sport stripes that the other vehicle did not have. My vehicle is in excellent condition. When I read his review he had claimed that I had scratches on the passenger door that would require attention. I checked for myself and there was no scratches only a little bit of road dust.

This wiped off easily by hand. When I got home I called the appraiser to tell him about the vehicle that he has for sale at 17,000 and the fact that there was no dents or dings on the passenger door. He used 1001 excuses to justify himself. I’ve been purchasing cars for the past 45 years. I’m very aware about how the used car market works. But when I saw a difference of $7000 between what they would purchase my vehicle for and turn around and sell it. I knew that they were taking advantage of me or any other consumer. I encourage him not to deal with this outfit or be very wary with their business practices.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Purchased a vehicle on 1/13/17. Also purchased the extended warranty. Between January 2017 - November 2017, the following has happened. Rear brake light socket needed to be replaced, all four run flat tires needed to be replaced within 1 week of purchase. Front brakes needed replacing within 5 months of purchase. Oil pump leakage, exhaust valve malfunction, replaced the whole thing. Rear view mirror malfunction. I fought them regarding the deductible, because I should have had to pay all this money out of pocket in such a short time. This is the Buena Park, CA branch and the service manager is a complete jerk! NEVER EVER BUY FROM CARMAX!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Carmax is the "Worst" company you can go to. Them & their ext warranty co. I never missed a payment. Have a Chevy Cruze 2013 purchased 2/15 and had to fuss with them about battery or alternator, a rental and now what they say radiator hose. My car is leaking oil. "Oil!" They claim it's coolant. It looks & smells like oil. Ck engine lite was not on when I brought it in. Now it is. They did oil change & state inspection & passed it. Ext warranty that I have they claim don't cover it! I am so done with them. It's not funny!! I wish someone puts out a class action lawsuit against them! I will be ring leader! They give anyone a car because they know they are "Bogus". Stay away from them not unless you want to be taken!!! Looks nice & shiny on outside but under the hood it's junk "Lemon".

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This company allowed a transferred vehicle to be purchased off the "cargo truck" when it made a stop at another dealership. They offer vehicles for sale all over the US and allow you to have the vehicle transferred to your location, but in fact if it is not on their lot they do not have the ability to actually get the vehicle here. After waiting 7 days for the vehicle to arrive, I was then told that somehow it was purchased at one of the "cargo delivery stops" along the way. Incredibly incompetent manner in which to do business. Would never recommend to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We requested a truck transfer on 10/21/17 from San Diego to Kenosha, WI. We were told we would be informed via email every step of the way and told we would have our truck in 3 weeks. On 11/03/17 I called the sales associate to be told it was picked up on 11/01 and would be delivered around 11/10. On 11/10 when I called, they informed me it would be 11/17 before it would arrive, causing us to get a rental car for my husband to leave town. I was told if I purchase the truck, they will then pay for the rental.

At this point they still can't tell me where my truck is. I contact the sales associate the afternoon on the 17th and they have no answer. At 9:00 p.m. I'm told he would contact me the next day at 11:00 a.m. with information. At 1:45 I ask for an update and they can't tell me where it is. I have been texting him all day and haven't gotten a response in more than 2 hours. I have already received my credit card bill for the $899 transfer fee, but have yet to see the truck or even know where it is?

This truck has been on the back of a truck now for 18 days, apparently lost! I have not gotten 1 email telling me anything with its whereabouts. I did get a survey asking me about my experience with them. I waited 4 days and did not give great reviews. They can't even follow up on this. What kind of customer service is this? AND if I don't purchase this truck, whenever it shows up, they keep my $899 dollars AND won't pay for the car rental!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

On 11/15/17 I took my Mercedes GL450 for a Trade Appraisal. I was interested in purchasing a QX that I saw online. According to the Appraiser (Amanda **) she was giving me the best offer of $8500 which was more than KBB value of $8436. Well after hearing the offer I left the store and decide to check KBB and TrueCar when I reached home. Upon completing my online research I found out that KBB Trade in Range were from $8593 - $11520 and the Fair Trade value was $10,110.

I found some missing features that were not included by the Appraiser when she Appraised the car. I called Roseville store and requested if they can look into re-appraising the car which they straightforth denied. Only thing I wanted was to get a fair trade in value so that I get purchase the car Iiked. This was a very dissatisfied experience and most of all waste of my valuable time. I will not recommend Carmax to my family and friends ever and surely will take my business to elsewhere. I will recommend using KBB and TrueCar for anyone who is looking to get a good and True value for their vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I thought the sales people at Carmax were bad until I met the manager. They are horrible, most employees that work at Carmax do not have car sales experience. The sales person I had I believe still lives in his parent's basement. If he moved any slower he would of stopped. He didn't care that I wanted my car that night. I picked out the car I wanted and got financed and when I told him I would like to pick it up that night I thought he would have a heart attack.

He said, "I don't think we can do that"... so I got him everything he needed to make it happen, I bought several cars from dealers and I know that they can make it happen. He just didn't want to, it seemed like it was too much work for him. So he told me to come back the next day and because I complained to corporate about the way I was treated the manager thought he would teach me a lesson, he stalled me picking up my car. I had corporate call him and he just laughed with other co workers and I heard him say that I would wait for my car since I like to bitch. After several calls to corporate they couldn't motivate him. I finally left and bought a car at another dealer.

Carmax wasted my time and had me add the car to my insurance. I put a downpayment on my insurance to cover the new car and they didn't care that they lost the sale. I left messages for Bill Nash in VA Office and he don't care about his customers. I would think the CEO would of had someone call me but nope. Stay away from Norwood Dealer and the salesperson Brian and the manager name is LT. He is the one dressed like slob wearing shorts and a t-shirt with a pot logo on it. What a crew.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

On Oct 21st I paid Carmax $450 to ship a Chevy Suburban from TX to SC. My sales rep was Cory **. Three weeks to get the vehicle from TX to SC. From the initial communication when I reached out to Carmax sales to reserve the vehicle, Cory communicated he would keep me informed with text updates on the status. He did say it would take 3-4 weeks for the vehicle to Arrive. The next communication I received was via text 3 days later when he said my vehicle is finished ‘processing’ for shipment. The subsequent communication was (nearly a full week after the date I paid to reserve/ship the vehicle) when he communicated the vehicle ‘has shipped’.

On Tues/October 31, Cory texted me the vehicle had arrived but he was unavailable. We agreed to meet Monday. I went to store at 130, telling him in advance I was on way. Once we arrived, Cory informed us he 'accidentally' shipped the car to another customer who ordered it online from another store 'on Saturday' (prior).

So allegedly, the vehicle arrives on a Tuesday, 10/31 when he is off and by Saturday the vehicle is allegedly enroute to another Carmax store for a client who allegedly reserved it after allegedly seeing it online. Yet my own transfer request > ship date took 7 days. How is it this client gets next day shipping on a vehicle? I asked Cory to get his mistake corrected by reaching out to the store he shipped my vehicle to. He (lied when he) said he didn’t know where he shipped it to – this is evidenced by the fact he knew the client who ordered my vehicle (while it was still reserved for me) was ‘already preapproved’. I asked if there are other Suburbans on the lot and he said ‘No’ – mine was the only one.

So according to Cory, he can’t undo his mistake because he doesn’t know where the vehicle was shipped to have it returned while my $450 was still holding the vehicle. He has a mind to know that the Suburban I transferred was the only one on the lot. He has a mind to know the other client is preapproved and will likely buy the car. Yet he doesn’t know where the vehicle was being shipped to to correct his error and have it returned to me since I had first claim to the vehicle. He hasn’t a mind to avoid ‘confusing’ his customers to know who isn’t returning his calls and cancel the vehicle from the one customer who isn’t following thru on his/her ordered Suburban. He hasn’t a mind to acknowledge ‘there is only one Suburban on the lot and that isn’t the vehicle that aligns with the customer who actually isn’t following up with (him) so he cancels the proper vehicle rather than the one (I) had reserved.’ I understand.

I understand Cory is a pathological liar. I understand Cory is a manipulator. I know this because this and every vehicle that is reserved/shipped by a customer is taken off the internet/Carmax website the day the transfer costs are paid and I paid $450 to ship this one on Oct 21. The vehicle I paid to ship was immediately put in reserved status prevented me and any other customer viewing the Carmax website to see any data on this vehicle. I couldn't get the specs or VIN from the vehicle off the Carmax website w/in 10min of paying the $450 while in reserved/ship status.

So not only did he lie when texting me back/forth on Monday to arrange my test drive appt with him, he kept his lie up with perpetual lies while I sat in front of him and he explained how he confused me with another customer who wasn’t returning his calls and ‘accidentally’ allowed my vehicle to be transferred by another customer on Saturday – 3 days after it arrived for me (with 2 of those days of him being unavailable for me to synch up with him). And he was so incompetent it's beyond human reason -- because he literally failed to recognize he was making back to back errors and missed several opportunities to avoid causing this entire issue. That is why I believe this was deliberate.

No one could view that vehicle online as 'available' to be able to order it from Cory while it was held in a reserved status for me. Cory would have to deliberately remove my vehicle from reserved status for someone could see it online AND be mindless enough to process payment for that person to have it shipped elsewhere so it was enroute 3-days later on Saturday – all the while playing like my $450 was still reserving the vehicle for me and communicating as much.

Take your money and buy from trustworthy dealers. You won’t find any at Carmax. I tried reaching out to the leadership at Carmax to get someone to remedy this situation with this rep. Bottom line: You won’t find leadership at Carmax that cares enough to resolve the issues caused by their incompetent sales reps. You see their stock lost 50% of its value and continues to sink in value – it’s because Carmax doesn’t care about their customers’ experiences enough to hire competent sales people or hold them accountable. They don’t care about repeat business or doing right by their customers. You will only waste your time and money. Their stock will continue to sink and they won't be in business much longer. Capitalism works.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

WARNING: CarMax will continue to take payments from your bank account even after your loan is paid off! You must call them and ask them to stop taking payments. They do not automatically stop after your loan is paid off! We just got off the phone with a CarMax Auto Finance customer service person who told us this. Think of how many people don't open their mail, don't reconcile their bank account, don't manage their money carefully, and overpay - perhaps for months! Be SURE you don't overpay after you pay off your CarMax Auto Finance loan.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Made a deal on a car. It had a brake issue and a leak. I waited 3 weeks for car to be fixed. When I went to purchase car (on my lunch break) found out the price of the car went up $700 because of the repairs that should have been discovered and repaired during the 125 point inspection!! Not to mention the charge was mysteriously added on the sales contracts and no one knew anything about it. ARE YOU kidding? So much for the claim that they honor a commitment.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

So this is the 3rd time my jeep has been in the shop since I bought the car last summer. It's been an ongoing problem and Carmax has said we nothing they can do and when we said we wanted to trade the car in for something that's not gonna break down all the time we got told with all the problems with the car we won't get what is owed and good luck finding a dealership that would pay it off. What a great company! They sent me a lemon and don't give a **!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Don't buy any car from these ** dealers. Bad customer service, telling lies to customer. Reset the odometer. I am struggling with my new 2005 Sienna from them. My rims are very bad condition. Please don't buy car from them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I financed a Toyota Camry in November 2013. I was paying $489 for almost 4 years and then paid $10,000 to finish off the payments for a stupid Camry... I only got screwed over with these kind of prices and payments because I did not have much knowledge about purchasing a car and I went alone. So ironic how after I paid for my car I asked for my title and they said they sent it, except I never received it.

The mail man was aware I will be receiving mail as I made him aware so I can go re-register my car asap... there is just no way that they sent it and I could not have received it. They sent a lean release and of course I received that. The problem is I decided to move and I'm trying to re-register my car and I been given hell. I don't believe they ever sent me my title because every time I called they said something new... first it got sent back, then they said motor vehicles has my title, then they said it was delivered... too much **. Point is, I would never recommend anyone to get a car from them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was a customer of Carmax since 2014. On August 26, 2015, I called customer service asking for the payoff amount. Just days later on September 1, 2015, Carmax received a check for over $15,000 which is the payoff amount I was given by an agent. In hindsight, I can't remember if I had received the title to my car. I thought maybe I lost it in the house so I attempted to purchase a duplicate from Harrisburg. I learned in Harrisburg that my car had a lien on it for almost $500. Of course I called to gain clarity because there must've been a mistake.

In October of 2017 I was told so many lies by various agents of Carmax that I couldn't keep count. They kept saying, "Well our records don't show that we gave you a payoff quote, only that you called. And because it's been 2 years, we can't listen to the recorded call". I said, "Well isn't it funny that you're admitting I call YOU on 8/26/15 about a payment, and isn't it funny that just 5 days later you received a check for the car IN FULL? Where did that number come from? Did I make it up? NO, I got the number from a Carmax representative". I also said that just maybe, the person tying the notes didn't fully record what was discussed. But again, not my problem. The facts are clear that if there was still a balance, the mistake was on Carmax because I attempted to pay in full based on a number given by an agent. I then asked for them to rectify this balance based on their mistake and fax a letter to Harrisburg that the lien is released.

I mentioned that in the last 2 years after you guys received a check for over $15,000 there was no correspondence. They said, "We tried to call and send letters". I said I have never received a phone call or letter. At this point, I wasn't saying they were lying, just said I didn't get it. I don't answer iPhone "scam likely" calls. Maybe that was one of them. I also received ads to buy a new car. But the fact remains and was confirmed by rep of Carmax: 2 years ago they received a call from me about a payment, 5 days later they received a check in full. The guy then says well maybe charges accrued after the quote was given. Really? Almost $500 in 5 days!

Finally, after almost 2 full hours of communication, I was bullied into making a payment to rectify a balance that was not my fault. One guy had me on hold for 20 minutes, came back to the line and hung up on me. I was already on hold on my fiancé's phone trying to get someone to help me. I asked the guy who took my payment to fax a letter to Harrisburg to release the lien. He said the payment hasn't posted. I said, "But you just gave me confirmation, meaning you have your money"! He said, "It takes 1-2 business days to finalize the payment and then we can send the letter to release the lien". This was said on a Monday morning.

On Wednesday afternoon I called and spoke with a lady to verify the payment was received and clear. She said, "Yes". I said, "Great! Can you fax a letter to Harrisburg stating the lien has been released". She said, "No, that takes 2 WEEKS!" The guy on Monday said 1-2 business days. She said, "We can send you confirmation that it was paid". I said, "I can look in my bank account to see that. I want what was told to be 72 hours prior". She would not comply. She then goes on to LIE and say, "Well ma'am when you called you said you needed a letter sent to your bank". I NEVER said anything about a bank!

So now it's absolutely clear to me that Carmax agents say one thing to me and type something different in their "notes" and make up lies. She said that the "notes" on Monday doesn't state that. Well guess what? On Monday I was told, since 2 years had passed, they can't pull the call. Now only 2 days have passed. Pull the damn call and verify what I'm telling you. I was on 2 different phones since someone hung up on me but I'd gladly give the phone numbers for verification. I am highly dissatisfied with the level of service. Clearly Carmax made a mistake and won't own up to it. I want a refund and my title sent to me IMMEDIATELY!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I just purchased a 15 Honda Accord 8 days ago, and I began to notice that this car is burning too much gas! I then called to the Carmax to find out when was the last time that any maintenance was done on the vehicle, so the lady told me there hasn't been any maintenance done on the car since it came to the Carmax back in June? Why wasn't anything done to the car before it was sold? Let alone it's such an inconvenience because I had to drive an hour to get there!

I spoke with the service manager and she told me to drop it off and they will give me a loaner. My thing is first of all it's an huge inconvenience and let alone I haven't had the car 30 days to enjoy it and it's back in the shop which is crazy, not to mention Carmax only gives you 5 days to decide on the car, which sometimes you can't detect if something is wrong with the car in the time frame, so thereafter you are stuck in a car that you will be paying for.

Carmax told me they are not able to get to my car until next Thursday which is crazy once again, they are that backed up on repairs! They haven't offered any compensation for my troubles or inconvenience and no I will never consider or recommend anyone to buy a car from here! While I was dropping my car off there were 3 other people there with an similar issue with the purchase of their new cars within the past week! It is ridiculous that so many people are back to have their cars serviced because Carmax failed to obtain the maintenance or repairs of the cars but press to make that car sale, it's an awful shame. I am disgusted behind the whole entire process and will never buy from Carmax again!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Looking to sell my car, stopped at the Gaithersburg, MD CarMax today. I still owe slightly less than the KBB value of my car. Was hopeful about this appraisal because they are selling a car of identical year, make and model for $13,999. My car has more features. Appraisal offer at this CarMax: $6,000. Not only that, but this is nearly $2,000 less than what I owe my lienholder. Therefore, I would have to actually PAY these crooks $2,000 for them to profit an additional $8,000. Of course I will not take them up on their "offer." This should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I called Carmax. Transferred to an ADAM sales rep (MAPLE SHADE, NJ). I was questioning how do they go about making sure the batteries are OK and don't fail you almost a year later as my son's did today and he answered as if I asked for a free battery. “Well we don't replace a year later and we checked it blah blah blah." He was VERY VERY RUDE. I MISS GRACE... who no longer is there. She was patient, kind, respectful and cared about her customers... I would never purchase a car from CARMAX.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Let me tell you my story what happen today the Oct 10th 2018. After submitting my application few days ago, yesterday their agent in Calgary called me and asked me about my application. I told him that I I am looking for financing Taurus from other dealer, then he said that they only finance their cars, so I said then no need to continue with the application. Then he got angry and suddenly the sweet voice becomes a demonic voice so rude and started to cross his limits by saying how can I say I only want to buy only Taurus and that I have to buy a car from his agency. So of course I started to feel offended toward my privacy and it started to be very obvious that he is ready to be disrespectful just to make some profits. So I told him, "well this is the only car I am looking to buy and I do not want to buy other car so if you do not have I will not go for any financing," then he a very rude way he said, "Well then OK."

From his intonation and so disrespectful manner of answering I knew that time that this agent will be running my credit even though I told him I will not go for financing just to make a hard inquiry to harm my credit score, until that point the credit was not yet run because after I close the call with him I checked my credit many time through Karma account and was showing that no credit been run.

The next day which is today Oct 10th suddenly I received email saying that my credit been run, when I checked it was their agency!!! I called and told the reception that I will complaining and disputing the credit check without my permission, he also started to be so rude and refused to give me the agent and he close the phone while I was complaining of what they have done. I will be disputing the credit... STAY FAR from these hypocrite non professionals people, they are willing to do anything even illegal things.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

CarMax was willing to lose a customer over a few hundred dollars. CarMax jacked up the value of a vehicle. $1000 per the bank value would have been upside down on a vehicle right off the gate. Carmax in Lexington, KY basically told me to suck it up and purchase this vehicle that is under book value or take my business elsewhere. I've never dealt with a car lot as bad as CarMax.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My son, bought his first car from CarMax back in 2014(?). Because he was only 20 at the time, he was just starting out to establish himself. They financed a 2012 Focus which as of this date still has a balance of $14,00.00. In trying to get rid of it, he finds that the car is only worth $2,000.00. I'm trying to find a solution in getting rid of this car. By the time my son pays this car off, the value will be 0. These car lots and financing companies are taking advantage of young people who are trying to establish themselves.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I purchased my vehicle on 7/3/17. The salesman was very pleasant, but he convinced me on getting a warranty! On September 9 I go to cancel the warranty. I was told over the phone by the operator here that I can simply cancel it... They will refund me the difference in money. Which makes sense... But to my surprise it was all a scam! I would not recommend this place to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Please stay away from them selling you a warranty from TWG or MAXCARE. This is the first and I hope the last time I have to deal with this joke of a warranty. This all started when my van broke down and I had to take it to the repair shop. The first day the van went in around 8:30 in the morning. At that time they started calling to get authorization to do the work, but never could get hold of anyone from THE WARRANTY GROUP. The shop was on hold for 30 minutes each time, keep in mind this is a repair shop that don't have time for this. I called several times myself and was on hold for no less than 45 minutes each time. It took the repair shop until the next day to get the authorization to do the work. Once they got the authorization (more than 24 hours) they got the work done.

At the time of me writing this review they still not gotten paid for the repair and I still have not gotten my van back, and it now 6:30 in the evening on day two, and the repair shop is now closed. I have the rental car allowance of $40 per day, but you can’t use it until they give authorization for the repairs at this point it's been 5 days (with the weekend and Monday as a holiday) and still no van and having to pay for my own rental car. I can't put all the blame on TWG, I also put the blame on CARMAX for selling this crappy warranty. If I ever buy another automobile from CARMAX they better not talk to me about TWG. Like I have heard before, it only take one bad experience to spoil it, and this has been a very bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

After a successful engineering career I retired in Reno, NV. I was restless staying at home, so I decided to take a job in car sales. I answered an Internet ad for a sales position with CARMAX in Reno, NV. The ad specified the existence of several openings and I thought that I had a good chance to get a job there. I sent in my resume and 3 days later, I was contacted by phone by Jess, CARMAX HR Manager. She asked to come for an interview on Friday, Aug 25, 2017. On Friday, I checked in at the reception and I asked for Jess. I was told to wait in the showroom, that she will come to meet me momentarily. After waiting patiently for 56 minutes, I got up and asked a saleslady passing by if there was a problem with Jess... The saleslady went to find out what was going on and 10 minutes later, a sales manager came up and informed me that Jess was not working that Friday.

There was a mix-up and the CARMAX person at the reception forgot to tell anyone I was there, waiting for an interview. I went to meet the store manager and I calmly expressed my dissatisfaction. I was given a new date for an interview on August 29. I went for the interview again at CARMAX and Jess was available. I interviewed with Jess and with 2 other people for 2 hours. I answered many scripted questions from the interviewers. Having a lot of experience in interviewing people, I was surprised by the fact they had absolutely no experience in interviewing. They were simply reciting a scripted questionnaire. Subsequently, I went through a mock sales scenario. After answering the questions and simulating an actual car sale, the interviewers seemed impressed and I was led to believe that I would be getting the job.

One day later, I received an email stating that while my credentials and interview was impressive, they decided to hire someone else. I am very disappointed with CARMAX attitude. If this is the way they act with a sales candidate, can you imagine how would they treat a customer looking to buy a car? In my experience, the hiring process of a potential employee should be done with the same respect you show to a customer. This is not what I experienced at CARMAX.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I'd like to send a great big "thank you" to an awesome salesman, Mr. Nir **. He was a great help in allowing me to relieve 2 months of a stressful situation to rest. I spent over $2K this summer trying to restore my 2006 Mini Cooper that a mechanic kept diagnosing different things wrong with it. After spending broke, I arrived at CarMax with a hope and a prayer. To my surprise, the gentleman that was off that day, spoke and asked me how can he help me. He was already booked with three other appointments but he saw my desperation and despondency of seeking help.

That gentleman was Mr. Nir **. He not only offered me a cold drink, and a moment to relax, but between helping his already approved clients, he ushered me out of there driving in my dream car... 2015 Mini Cooper! I am so grateful he took the time to help me. He was not only professional, but proficient, polite and a pleasure. He made me laugh and that was what I needed besides a nice new car!! He gave me both, with the Lord's help! I'm grateful and I'm happy. If anyone is in need of a good laugh while getting a new car, see Mr. Nir **. He made my day. LET HIM MAKE YOUR DAY TOO!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Bought my car from Carmax in Gaithersburg MD in Dec 2016, on my 2013 Kia Rio there has been over a $1000 dollars’ worth of work done on it. It has been in and out of the shop several times since I bought. I have to say that, Carmax did pay for repairs. Disappointed in Carmax, bought 2 previous cars from them never had a day’s problem other than regular up keep. Unaware of any problems until after paper work was signed. I ask Carmax to let me exchange cars and they said my time to do that had expired.

I was not aware of any problems beforehand. So now I am just stuck. Not telling anyone not to shop at Carmax. When you do be an educated buyer, get the car checked out by someone you trust before signing on the dotted line. They used to be the best people to buy from but not now. Carmax is not going to care and they will stick you with a piece of junk as they did me. Just saying Carmax has gone downhill not like they used to be. Buyer beware when buying from Carmax. They are not too honest these days...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased my previously owned GMC from Carmax in King of Prussia, PA on October 15, 2016. I was very excited when the time came for me to drive my car off the lot. It was everything I wanted, minus the technology package; however, I did not care. I was in love with the car itself. Not even a year later and my joy has turned into disappointment. In June of 2017, I started experiencing loud rattling noise coming from the engine. I took my car to my mechanic and was informed that my catalytic converter and manifold were damaged and would need to be repaired. I called GMC customer care to inquiry about any warranties that would fix my car. According to the representative I spoke with they found a warranty that would fix my catalytic converter. He sent my information to FC Kerbeck Buick GMC in Palmyra, New Jersey.

Three weeks passed and I did not hear from the representative from FC Kerbeck. I reached out to the contact he listed, John **; however, John was not available or the person I needed to speak with. The representative also gave me a reference number (**) that no one at FC Kerbeck knew anything about. I was finally sent to a Jason ** who scheduled to bring my vehicle in on July 24, 2017.

After viewing my vehicle, I was informed that repairs were needed to the manifold and it would cost me over $1,000 to fix. This is very unsettling given that I have not had the vehicle for a year. I was contacted by Carmax, who reached out to me regarding my complaint email. I spoke with an Janice **, who asked me to come in and they will see what they can do for my vehicle.

First complaint I have about their services offered through Carmax is, Janice switched my time around and I wasn't aware of this. I arrived to the Carmax location, only to discover I would have to wait 3 hours before my car was even looked at. Janice did try to rectify the situation by giving me a loaner car at no expense to me. She told me that repairs to my car would cost me $400. I was still upset at the price, but after a week of moving some bills around, I decided to move forward with the repairs.

It took Carmax over a week to receive the part needed for my car. I was told that it takes 24 to 48 hours, then I was later informed that they did not finish the process in ordering and there was still some paperwork that needed to be submitted. Repairs were finally completed to my car on 8/24/2017, for a lower cost than anticipated. Janice informed me that a code popped up on my car, but it was a pending code that I shouldn't worry about and it should go away.

Less than 30 minutes of driving my check engine light came on and my car was right back to the way I left it. Nothing was fixed!!! Besides the noise that my car made (which can still be heard) just at a lower volume. I called Carmax and was told to bring the car in again. This is a ridiculous back and forth process that is costing me additional money. I told Janice I feel like I have been sold a Lemon. Her response was, "it is a 2011 and this is why we offer our warranty package". There was no urgency taken in place for my vehicle and very poor customer service. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I drove a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 in Tucson, Arizona in early July 2017 and I was very interested in purchasing it. However, I needed to sell another vehicle first and the dealer told me I could not put a hold on the car. 5 weeks later I sold my car and I followed up to see if the 300 was still available. The dealer said it was and I took my wife down to drive the car again. We drove another car on the lot too for comparison purposes but we preferred the 300. I told the dealer we were very interested and he took my information. I did not even bother asking about a hold since the prior dealer told me I could not place a hold on the car.

We came back the next day (less than 24 hours later) and the dealer told us he was helping another customer but that he would be with us in 15 minutes. Meanwhile, we walked outside to look at the car and it was gone. We asked where the car was and we were told it had been transferred. My wife and I could not believe that in less than 24 hour they transferred the car and did not even bother calling us. The dealer we were working with did even know the car was gone and did not appear to care much. They are obviously unorganized and do not communicate internally and they do not appear to care much about customer service. That was truly the worst car buying experience ever and I will not do business with Carmax ever again.

Carmax Company Information