3.3/5 (546 ratings)

About CarMax

CarMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I never thought I would buy a car online, but when I totaled my car just before Christmas, injured my shoulder and couldn't drive for one of the two weeks my insurance provided a rental car, found myself in the middle of a full scale blizzard and no dealerships within 60 miles of me had any inventory in the two cars I was interested in, I searched Carmax and found the exact same car I had totaled with a few modifications (better color, cloth seats - which I prefer for dogs) and it looked brand new, I was hooked.

The $250 shipping charge was a hiccup that almost kept me from getting the car of my dreams. It's well worth it to have the HUGE inventory to search. The pictures, car history and 30 day guarantee convinced me it was worth it to give it a shot. I will never buy a used car any other way again. I cannot speak for other online dealerships, but my experience in Fort Wayne was amazing. They could not have been nicer or more accomadating. I LOVE my car. To get the same car that I had with less miles, a prettier color and NO dog hair (yet!!!) was worth the extra money I had to put with my settlement. I look forward to driving this car for a long time. I recommend Carmax without a smidge of hesitation.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I found a vehicle on their website and drove down to their store in Urbandale (Des Moines) to check it out. Found it just as described, other than a small defect that the SALESMAN pointed out to me. Said they would take care of it, no problem. Drove it, loved it, bought it and drove it home, full tank of gas included! Got a call a week later to set up the appointment to fix the issue (a tack weld on the fuel filler door hinge was broken loose). If you love to haggle, this isn't the place for you. If, however, you just want to know you're getting a fair price and that you will be dealt with as a fellow human and not just "a sale", then this is a GREAT place to purchase a vehicle.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2022

First, a big shout out to Wayne, at the Edison New Jersey CarMax! I bought out my 3-year lease, 2019 Kia Optima Turbo. 5,000 MI and in excellent condition. Got a lot of offers from other places, but some of them were ridiculously lowball, KBB & Edmonds use dealerships and I despise sleazy dealerships!! I did initial research a month before actually selling it. The best offers were from Carvana and CarMax.

When it finally came down to actually selling it, Carvana dropped their offer by more than $2,300. Disappointing because they actually come and pick up the car. CarMax's offer remain constant over A month's time. They offered me $25,000 online and after a 90-minute drive from Flushing Queens to Edison New Jersey at Rush Hour LOL, actually paid me $25,000! I was in and out of there in 90 minutes. And the cashier's check can be deposited regardless of where you bank. Their checks are good LOL! A Very professional, efficient and fair company. Refreshing to say the least. Highly recommended if you're selling your car!!

Original review: May 26, 2022

I leased a new car, so I had to sell my old Subaru Forester 2019. Checked on the internet, submitted car info to three well-known companies, got quotes from them. CarMax offered more so I decided to go there to see if they really good. Located in Edison NJ, just one hour drive from home. They are open from 11 am, by 11:10 I was already talking to the very nice, friendly and competent lady Nicky **. She checked the paperwork, car, took all photos, filled out many forms on a little slow computer system and confirmed the price quote (all thankfully was in order, all documents presented).

We signed more papers, she took car keys, removed and returned to me plates and by 12:05 pm I had all my copies and bank check and was ready to go! Not my first car, but never before I seen such efficiency and friendliness from any sales person. Their facility was looking brand new, airy and spotless. And with the sales persons like Nicky clients and management must be very happy. Place and company to go! 5 stars.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I had been looking at replacing my 2003 Honda Toaster (Element) with a newer AWD vehicle. I really liked the Nissan Juke. The problem was there were only 3 here in Spokane, WA. All of them needed to have work done on them before they could be drove for a test drive. Also none of them were the high end SL model. I found a one owner with 94K miles at CarMax in Oregon. I paid $99 to have it shipped to the Spokane CarMax. It took less than a week to get here and be ready for a test drive. I bought it and later I kept hearing a popping noise when I would start out and turn right. I called CarMax service, took it in and they replace the front struts. At no charge to me. It was covered under the 90 day warranty.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2023

I have bought, sold and traded cars with CarMax many times through the years. My wife just traded a 2019 Lexus NX300 F-Sport for a Mercedes GLC300. The Lexus was purchased at Carmax in June 2022. Their online offer to buy or trade it was $31,000. NADA and KBB both stated trade-in value at $34,000 on the low end. We were offered $34,000 at other dealer's site unseen. I told them when we tried out the Mercedes that we would purchase it if they could be more realistic on the trade value. They refused to up the offer even though the Lexus had a special package they claimed was not available as far as value. Funny thing is we paid for the car having that package when we bought it in June 2022. I left Carmax that day without trading because I knew what they were doing.

My wife loved the Mercedes and yes, it was actually priced well even though almost everything they have is priced too high so we went back the following day and did the deal because the Mercedes was the car she wanted. I told them I knew they would price our Lexus at $37-38000 and sure enough it is now listed at $38,998. For any dealer to make an $8,000 profit on a vehicle is unreal. In addition I had a BMW X3 transferred in a few weeks ago and the history showed it had 2 minor accidents in 2 years (it was a 2021). Before it arrived it didn't seem right so I ran a CARFAX and found it had 4 accidents and 2 were not minor. Needless to say I walked away from that one but they did end up selling it to someone else who didn't do their homework like I did.

Carmax in the past was easy to deal with and conducted business in a proper manner but after these experiences I have no faith in them and will never deal with them again. I have sent friends to them in the past and some have purchased cars from them. Never again will I deal with them or refer them to anyone. If you are thinking of dealing with Carmax do your homework going in or chances are you may regret it later. They are no longer the company they once were.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I've purchased and traded in 4 or 5 cars at CarMax and my last experience was the worst, and definitely the last. They may be the # 1 auto trade in place, but their customer service is down at the bottom. The car I ended up purchasing is filthy, they never properly detailed it, and it has warnings from the Navigation system they never cleared. It's been over a month and I still don't have my refund for my CarMax. They had a good thing but it is now gone. They suck and you will read this, go anyway, and regret it. Promise.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I sold a used car at CarMax. I got an online offer in five minutes. The offer was 50% more than three competitive offers, including the dealership (not CarMax) from that I was buying a new car. I went to the CarMax location the next day. I was in and out in about an hour with a check for the full amount of the offer. It was easy, quick, and painless. Great customer service!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

They sold me a lemon--it's been to the auction 3xs and it's 2yrs old! Look closely at the alignment of the vehicle BEFORE leaving. Check the number of owners and how many times it has been to auction on your paperwork. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Absolutely horrible experience from the 1hr hold time and kids in the background when you call Customer Relations to no availability in repair shops (within your 30 days) to a Sales "Manager" who gives you all the reasons why YOU don't want to return the vehicle (only trying to wait out the 30 days). It started with an 8hr bus ride to pick the vehicle up and "oh it's just cold" when it sounded like a semi-truck at start-up. Wind blowing directly on me from a replaced door and burning smells on the drive home. I was terrified I wouldn't make it. Finally, I get a good look at it and the front is unaligned and two windows are after- market.

Clearly, this vehicle has been in accident. It spent days in the "body" shop, and I've been missing all the shifts from my 2nd job. And guess what--Yep, I still hear and feel wind and even Stevie Wonder can see the door is NOT aligned. So WHY, oh WHY CarMax would you return the car to me like this? Next, I schedule an appointment for service. No problem I'll wait 3 days. The same day I get a call from CarMax saying go to the other location they have openings. That's odd because I called there already and they don't have openings until next year. Get to the advised location only to be told "they should not have scheduled you without calling us first, you're the 2nd person they did that to today". I call Customer Relations from the parking lot. I sit there 4hrs while they "work on a remedy". Only to come back and say, "This may not be resolved today. You can't have a rental unless we diagnose the car first (odd, didn't have that problem last week)."

I politely drove to the original location and guess what? I received a rental with no diagnosis (full of animal hair-but I appreciate them vacuuming it when I pointed it out) and a referral to Nissan. Now, why couldn't they have offered that option in the first place? I guess the same reason several managers at various locations said "you don't have to drive all the way back to Minnesota to return it, we do this all the time. If you lived in FL would they expect you do that?" Apparently not for ME since the "Manager" I just spoke with who offered no apology for 30 days paying for a car that I couldn't drive says basically screw you spend 6hrs driving it back because we have that local power. I bet they're counting on me being over my mileage. How, it's been in the shop most of the time!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I called at 11:36. The ETA for roadside assistance was 12:54 at the latest. It is 2:23 and I am still waiting. This exact thing happened the last time I used them. This is false advertising, I paid for a service that is not happening.

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

CarMax Company Information