Carmax
Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Carmax

699 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Today is 8/8/2018 and I never had my heart broken since I lost my son. A week ago I registered with Carmax and reviewed many cars. I picked 4 cars and they ran my credit 5 times as I approved. Yes, I was approved all 5 times by a leading bank. I visited the dealership to pick up the 2014 Audi A6. They put the yellow bright bow on it after they washed it, then all staff told me congratulations!!! We finished all contracts and legal paperwork. They gave me 2 sets of keys, shook my head and me and my son walked out the door with the dealer to leave in my new car. The manager then peeped outside the door and told the dealer "I need to speak with you".

After approx 10 minutes, the manager pulled me into an empty quiet room and said, "I hate to do this and I don't have a reason why, but Carmax has every right to refuse service to anyone." My face dropped, we walked out of the room and I walked outside to the furthest peak I could find. I walked to the edge of the premises and even though I'm trying to quit smoking... I lit a cigarette. For the first time in years I had that blurred vision, I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. I am carless due to my beautiful previous car being totaled this year. But my inner self said, "Give up, you're headed even lower."

Another part of me said, "Suck it up. You been strong for so many years." If you lost so much including a human life then what can Carmax do to you? It's not the car I realize, it's just getting very hard for me to stay strong and keep receiving blows. I didn't know a car dealership would put me back in tears... heavy tears. They are basically saying, "No 'cause we don't like you... you deserve nothing. Here's more to that curse that you have against you." I sit at this desktop and cannot turn around right now to show my son that I hurt too, that I'm not the supermom that he thinks and sees of me. Sorry for the long body but this is my only vent right now.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Be very careful, watch out! I had been looking for a very specific car and found it on the Carmax website. It was outside of my free shipping area so after many calls not only to the local Carmax dealer but the dealer in the other area I told them to send it. When it arrived at my local Carmax dealer it had been damaged. They said it was not their fault and said I must take the car. I asked that the car be repaired and they would not. At that point I said no to taking the car and wanted my shipping charges returned to me. Thank goodness I kept records and notes of phone calls, before and after pictures. Be very careful!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We took our second car (no longer needed) to CarMax in Madison, Wisconsin to sell. 1994 Honda Accord EX, manual, with 153000 miles in good running condition. One owner, clean, new tires, new exhaust system, recent brake work. Had scrapes and rust on right side from getting too close to a cement post. Clock and radio did not work and auto door locks made strange noises. They offered $100. Can you believe $100? We laughed out loud. We posted the car on Craigslist for $800 and sold it a few hours - had to turn away a dozen inquiries. We should have asked more. CarMax's appraisal was a joke! Don't waste your time.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My experience is too long and horrendous to explain! The short story! I was approved for a truck to pick up in Boise Idaho. Halfway to Boise, I got a call telling me that my original application had a mistake on it (their part), so they needed to resubmit an application! I was already 130 miles away from home mind you! They resubmitted and the finance company wanted twice the amount down than originally submitted! So a few day later, we settled on another one! It needed to be transferred from Seattle to Spokane which was fine. I had no problem waiting for it! A couple of days later, I received a call from one of the managers telling me, that Carmax reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, and apparently, they refused to work with me! WOW! I was blown away! I hung up on the dude, 'cause I really didn't want to hear banter on about their policies! WOW! What the hell kind of company is this?

I have never in my life experienced working with a SCREWED up dealership like this EVER! I'm assuming "Carmax" will not be around too long! Look for yourself how many complaints there are against this place! Seriously! What an awful experience! I will never recommend this place to anyone! UNLESS you have perfect credit. Which 80% of people don't! GO ELSEWHERE! Trust me, it is not worth the time that I put into it! A week and a half working with my salesom! And my credit is not BAD! UNBELIEVABLE! CARMAX SUCKS!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Do not buy a car here... I bought a 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have had for a year and a half and the electric system has went out in the hybrid battery. When I brought the car I got a warranty on the car that was 60 months or a hundred thousand miles. I myself have not put that mileage on the car but they said because I had over a hundred thousand miles my warranty is no good. So now I'm stuck with a car that me and my family could here hurt driving because we could get electrocuted, lose my brakes and etc... Find another place to buy a car. Thank You.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Be aware, you may think that the salesperson has ordered a transfer of a vehicle you wish to purchase and have been qualified to do so. However you find out days later that a sales manager can cancel that sale and transfer if they so chose. Even if Carmax company policy says they cannot. Then you get to spend days trying to get a response as to why. Good Luck.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

STAY AWAY!! Unless you're desperate!! My husband & I paid to have a vehicle transferred from Carmax in Midlothian, VA to Carmax in Newark, DE ($149). We drive an hour on a Sat. to get the vehicle. After getting an approval we had to provide paystubs, proof of address, etc. I had everything with me. The sales lady took my docs & handed them off to another woman that came up to me & asked me if I was able to contact my boss, who's an attorney & only has myself & 3 other employees that he pays. We do not get direct deposit, our checks are prepared with taxes taken out & shown on the paystub & the check is attached below. I rip off the perforated check & cash it.

I then deposit it into my account. She asked me if I could contact my boss for him to get a copy of his bank statement showing the cancelled cashed check that went through his account? WHAT? REALLY?? Because the paper my husband's check/direct deposit voucher is printed on & my paystub/paycheck, they just didn't feel the same, she said. Well, NO KIDDING! I work for a law firm with a total of 5 employees, including the attorney & my husband works for a commercial construction company with 40++ employees & there's more than 1 way for an employer to pay employees! She then went on to tell me, that there wasn't any watermarks on my paystub.

I held it up to the light & there was watermarks all over the back of it. THEY ARE A JOKE. AND I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY THINK THEY HAVE OVER THERE, BUT THEY ARE A JOKE!!! She was basically telling me, "I don't believe you!!" I've been at the same law firm since May 2013 & NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE, not even my mortgage company, questioned my paystub but Carmax does & wants people's bank statements & wants you to go online @ their store & pull up/print out your bank statement. That's MY personal info. Why would ANYBODY be willing to pull up their personal info, like a bank statement on their COMPANY computer system??? I DONT THINK SO & IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO EVEN ASK A CONSUMER TO DO SUCH A THING!!! I posted a pic of the back of my paystub to show the watermarks, which were pretty difficult to pick up on camera. But if you look @ the lower left side, you can see them.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Last week I recommended CarMax to my son who was looking for a 2017-2018 Camaro ZL1. I thought they were a good company, so, he found a car, did the financing online and was approved and got five offers. He was pre approved not pre-qualified. So he selected one of the offers and we went into the Merrillville, IN location to sign the papers and give deposit. When we got there then that when everything change. He was told that his deposit amount went up by $800 and we accepted the new deposit. After sitting for over 2 and half hours. The sales manager Ken came back and said that CarMax decided not to do business with him. WHAT?? I never heard that before so, we asked why and he said no information was given to him and to call the 800-519-1511 consumer relations.

I was so confused because we were approved by the finance company and had done everything that asked for and he said it wasn't the finance company but Carmax. I requested to speak to the Business office Manager Kristin ** and after a while she finally met with us only because I had someone from the 800 number and they had never heard of the denial reason. All the analyst and finance department said it was the store not them. I kept the consumer relations analyst on the phone while I spoke with Kristin.

They said no reason was in the computer system. Then Kristin tried to explain to the analyst it just happen the analyst Darren said he had to look into it and I knew then it was a cover up. I stated that looking into it meant him and Kristin had to get their lies together. Kristin refused to do business with him. I explain to them that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act requires that they verbally or in writing tell us the reason for the denial. None was given and was told that they don't have to and they can refuse to do business with anyone at any time. Darren the consumer relations analyst stated that my son was banned from doing business from all CarMax. Why when he never purchase anything from them before. They treated him had did something wrong. Why would they banned him?!?!

Even the sales rep thought it was racial and kept stating the Kristin was the reason we was waiting. I believe it was racial, my son is **, young and make a very good income and she assumed he was lying. Yes, I'm upset because I knew he was discriminated against. He told no lies on application, had all paperwork, insurance proof, and deposit. Also we contacted the finance company and they said my son was approved for the 58k. My son is no bum, he's married over 7 years, two kids and purchase his first home. Yes he even got a home! Everyone knows getting a home is one of the hardest thing you'll ever do. So why the refusal to do business from CarMax? Something stinks!!! Why no reason given. If this or something like this have happen to you let me know. I know he can't be the only one!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been trying to find a BMW X6 with specific features and options, and I was able to locate one on a nationwide search in your Roseville, Ca location. This was early Sunday (22nd July) morning, and I was able to put a hold on the vehicle to have it transferred to my location. Next day (Monday 23rd July) when I went to the local CarMax in Mobile, Alabama to pay for the transfer, I was told, the car is being shipped to a different location for someone else.

The strange part of all was that a sales associate (Patrick) called me from the California location same day (Sunday) afternoon to ask me about my plan with this vehicle. I explained it to him that I was looking to transfer the vehicle to Mobile, Alabama. According to the website of CarMax, all holds are guaranteed for seven days. Since then I have called the local store, the California store and to a customer service number 1800-519-1511 and spoke to an associate name Garrett who was very helpful and told me he would get back to me, but again I have not heard back from anyone.

As a business owner, I understand mistakes happen, but you have to own up to it, admit that there was a mishap and try to resolve it the best way possible, but in this case I think the corporate strategy is to ignore, refuse, show no admission of wrongdoing and give customers plenty of runarounds so one would get tired and stop contacting them. It's been three days and I have made 7/8 calls to various customer service department. Even went on to their social media and sent their Rapid Response Customer service team emails but I have yet to hear from anyone via any media.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Carmax appears to be no different than any other used car lot. I took my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 to Carmax to get an offer. They offered me 8k. The night before I valued the truck on KBB.com and came up with a trade-in value of 11k, and that was using the ‘good condition’, which the truck is actually in ‘very good condition’. When I questioned the discrepancy between KBB and what Carmax offered, the agent actually went on KBB to see for himself. While he was entering the information, I noticed he entered the sub-model as Tradesman. I told him the truck was not a Tradesman, but an Express. He said according to his appraiser it is a Tradesman.

To his surprise, I produced the Carfax, from the Dodge dealer that I bought the truck from, showing it was indeed an Express, which would account for the 3k difference. The agent maintained that he had to go by what his appraiser said, even after showing my Carfax to the appraiser, and started talking about some built in tax savings if I bought a car from them. Needless to say, I left. It appears that they low-ball you when purchasing your vehicle and then sell it for approximately 20% above what other similar vehicles in the area are selling for. Typical used car lot, but with friendly people and a large sales center. Would not sell nor buy a vehicle from these people.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My wife's Tahoe was totaled in an accident. We looked for about a week for a replacement. Another Tahoe or Yukon with low miles was what we were looking for. I checked out the local Carmax and found a 2009 Yukon SLT 1-owner with 70,300 miles. It was in our price range so I called and spoke to a salesman about it. I asked him specifically to look at the vehicle for me before I came down. I was interested in knowing if it had dents and scratches, if the underneath of the vehicle had any corrosion damage or visual rust. He called back about half an hour later and assured me there were no dents or scratches and the underside was clean and free of rust.

We decided to go take a look. when we arrived the vehicle was being washed. no biggie. We waited and the salesman finally pulled it around. the inside was perfect. unreal how nice it was, the outside looked good at that point. We drove it and we're happy. Went inside did the paperwork, cut them a check and went on our way.

Upon getting home, we started noticing things: The CD player would not stop running when the vehicle was turned off and the doors were open. Scratches and a small ding over passenger side rear wheel well. Perfect circle scratches that were deep from a go-pro mount or similar type suction cup used. Here's where it gets good. They say they do these big inspections, etc. The front brakes were shot. Pads were very low and at some point the low brake pad indicators were cut off. not sure when this happened.

They did a horrible job cleaning the Yukon. Heavy black buildup all over roof, like the vehicle sat under trees all the time. So the wife and I started really cleaning this thing. I removed the floor mats and discovered a damp carpet and moldy smell. Removed the sill plates and lifted the carpet up and BAM!!! Mold and water!!! It has been there for a while as well. The smell was horrible and then we noticed overspray all over the plastics around the carpet inside the vehicle. It was deodorizer they were trying to cover the smell up with. Keep in mind the vehicle history report they have posted on the vehicle shows no damage, wrecks, etc. It was a one owner and from our area.

I called immediately and talked to the salesman. Told him the problems and he was apologetic. We were then told it would be 7-10 days to get our money back. "NO IT WILL NOT BE," was my answer. We stopped payment on the check, returned the vehicle without any issues... which was nice. This is just a heads up!!! Don't believe advertising and don't trust this company's service, detail, or vehicles. Make sure to have a good mechanic look at the vehicle before purchasing. Now the search is back on...

Original review: July 17, 2018

I recently bought a 2014 Lincoln MKT with 50,000 miles on it. About 2 1/2 weeks later, the car does not turn on at all. It appears to be the starter or alternator. Carmax did offer to fix it and tow it but I could only get an appointment a week away. They refused to offer me a rental car in the meantime and now I am stuck without a vehicle.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I financed a car through CarMax in 2012 and paid the loan off in full a few months later. I received notice the account was closed and never thought anything more about it. Imagine my surprise when 6 years later I go to sell the car and the State informs me CarMax never released my lien and so the car is not officially mine to sell. I called CarMax and they told me yes, they can see that my account was paid off in full, but they cannot correct their error because the account is too old and will need to mail me a form to take to the DMV in person, which will require me to take a day off work and waste my day for their error. Absolutely unacceptable.

I will never buy a car through CarMax ever again and will advise my friends and family to avoid them. The car was fine, but it is 100% not okay to receive payment in full on the car and not take the 10 min to file the forms to release the lien. I cannot believe I am having to fight over the ownership of my car that I paid for 6 years ago. This is a really huge oversight and I will never purchase through them ever again. The price may be good, but they cannot manage to follow up with some pretty basic details, like releasing the lien on a fully paid vehicle. Save yourself some stress down the road and do not finance with CarMax.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I took my 2018 Mustang Ecoboost for appraisal and they appraised it $2000 less than what KBB listed for. I contacted Carvana and Vroom which also buy and sell car like CarMax except they do only online. I have them appraised my car and got $2200 more than what CarMax was offering. I chose to sell my car to Vroom instead and it went less painful and fast transaction, and they even pick up my car after 3 days of transaction period and they deposited the money to my bank account before they even pick up my car.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I took my car to Carmax for a quote, thinking that maybe I would let my car go for a reasonably cheaper price, but they created many nonexisting problems and quoted for $1000. I got so shocked and very same day put and add to Craigslist, sold the car within couple of hours for $3500. Do not even care going there and don't waste your time.

Original review: July 8, 2018

After going nowhere with Bob Rohrman's (Woodfield Ford) service department, I went to CarMax. Woodfield Ford's service wouldn't as much as return phone calls. I waited three weeks for them to return phone calls regarding the installation of a new rear assist camera on my 2011 Ford Edge. I called Richard (Woodfield Ford's) dealership manager, and he didn't even call back. I talked with their parts department and found out they never ordered the part.

After explaining all to CarMax, they asked me to bring the vehicle in to their service department. Within a week's time, I had the camera replaced, and it works wonderfully. Martin at the Hoffman Estates, IL location kept in touch every step of the process. He is a great service advisor and he knows how to deal with the public, whereas the people at Woodfield Ford only looked to take advantage of a handicapped individual. Thank you CarMax.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I too was looking for the minus star. I decided to purchase a vehicle from CarMax last September. I was excited about my purchase. It was a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500, with 50k miles on it. Just like anywhere else the salesperson trying to up sale everything under the sun, I decided not to get the extended warranty, I'm thinking 2012 and it only has 50,000 miles very clean it should be good for a while, needless to say 8 months later I find myself having engine problems. I reached out to CarMax to see what they could do, since it's only been 8 months from purchase, they said call Dodge and see about manufacturers warranty.

Unfortunately the powertrain warranty had just expired two months prior. I reach back out to CarMax since I paid them $30k for the truck, and the factor of pre-existing issues on the vehicle, they were kind enough to tell me to go ** my self, the repairs on the engine will start at $3k and no less than $7k. Buyers beware. I understand that there is a lot of variables here nevertheless is $30,000 that I paid for the vehicle I did not expect them to fit the bill 100% but to try to find a happy medium.

Since they claim to be a reputable company and they are not the only ones in the business, any of us could easily purchase a vehicle from someone else, so I say to you CarMax take care of your customers or someone else will. To this day the truck sits in the garage. For one the expense and two finding a fair and decent repair shop, that is not going to do the same as CarMax. $30,000 8 months from purchase to the tune of $7,000 worth of repairs can you say pre-existing.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Let me say in the beginning I raved about CarMax, I thought they were just awesome, it was simple easy and I ended up with a car I never expected to get. Now two years into my payments, they have turned into a different company. My car was unlawfully towed back in March of 2018, which I have a pending case on. Since then they have done everything get this car repoed again. After looking into my car the two previous owners both had it repoed as well and CarMax ended up with it back in their possession. Hmmm, a little strange right?

I have a recurring payments on my account but CarMax locks my account which means they just don't do your recurring payment and make you call in. It never fails, I have to call in every time and when I do get a person they say they fix it, but it happens all over again the next month. To top it off they have limited customer service hours so it is difficult to call in to get your account unlocked. This company is a scam that puts people in cars that look shiny and new. They lie to your face and say it was a fleet vehicle when it was from an auction they bought it back from, charge the person before the remainder on the loan, then sell the car again, and try to make you miss payments so they can take it again. I am starting to wonder who has made it through a whole loan with CarMax?

Original review: July 8, 2018

We went to Carmax to sell our older vehicle to them. We expected to receive an offer of $1000.00 and we did receive such an offer. That part was not a problem. The problem began after they offered us $1000 for the vehicle. My husband called me at 3:55 pm saying I would need to pick him up in about 20 minutes. He was told by Carmax that it would take 20 minutes to finalize the deal. I arrived at 4:20 pm and was told it would take about 10 minutes before the paperwork would be ready. 40 minutes later at 5 pm the paperwork was finally ready.

My husband arrived at 3:30. The offer was made and accepted at 3:55 pm, but it took almost an hour and a half to prepare and sign the necessary papers. Carmax does this every day but they appear totally incompetent to carry out a simple procedure. There were 4 or 5 women working in the office. There were no other customers waiting. They just stalled and delayed to keep us waiting - I believe they did this purposefully and maliciously. I wish we had just donated the vehicle.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I will never buy a car anywhere else! Seriously. Whenever a friend or family member talks about buying a car, I always suggest Carmax because of how easy it is. In 2015, I walked in nervous about buying a car but walked out two hours later happy and driving my perfect car. First off, I never felt pressured. My first experience at a car dealership when I was a teenager left me in tears. All the Carmax people were friendly, respectful and genuinely seemed to care about my family's needs.

Secondly, they have processing centers in the building so you don't have to go to the DMV. Lastly, I got my loan through Carmax auto finance; their customer service is great and the website is easy to use and make payment. Even though my Prius is still going strong, I can't wait to buy another car here. It's nice to look online and daydream about the possibilities.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Walked into the dealership and was greeted by a salesman. He was very nice and offered to show us other vehicles within our price range while our vehicle was getting appraised. After looking at a few vehicles we were interested in, we returned to the lobby where we received our appraisal. This is where things took a drastic turn! We received an appraisal for our 2013 Cadillac SRX of $8,000, that's $7,000 BELOW KBB. Take note here, not a scratch or ding on the car, interior in perfect condition and miles within normal range. Accident free and clean title. Appraiser stated that vehicle had a transmission problem and hesitated shifting gears between 1st & 2nd.

We tried to explain that this was Cadillac's Adaptive Transmission Control System and advised them to look it up! An Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. They would not even listen to our explanation and stood firm with their offer. Apparently, the "no haggle price" goes for offers as well. We sold the vehicle two days later for $8,000 ABOVE Carmax appraisal, to a dealership that knew and understood exactly what we were talking about. We will never return, nor will I advise anyone to give Carmax a try. That offer for our vehicle was a complete insult.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We purchased a Nissan Maxima through Carmax, the first one we had the timing chain went out on it, they stepped up as sold us a lemon and we picked another Maxima. Only to find the issues are worse and worse and worse. Service is **. (excuse my French). There is a service advisor at Carmax in Tolleson Arizona named Mike. Guy is highly unprofessional, disrespectful and doesn't know when to watch his mouth. We brought our car in to have a timing chain issue inspected. Two mechanics have told us the timing chain is going out and causing noises. The car is still under warranty so we took this to Carmax. Mike and the mechanic refused to check to see if this was the issue. The check engine light was also on, they never ran for a code to see what it was, they immediately cleared it out so it is unknown.

Some wonder the frustration right? Well we had the car in the shop back in December and January because of these issues (December and January that's twice) and this being the third time. They can't get the job done, they want to do what they want to do and not what the customer wants. It is business I get that, but refusal to check and see, a joke. Two different mechanics have said timing chain, two separate shops and one happened to be a Nissan Dealership. Carmax refused to even inspect it. They did however put us into a rental car, 7 days. They kept the car and parked it and never once called to tell us the car was ready. Sat for almost two days, therefore they did not pay the full 7 days of the rental. (Communication is hell, extremely unprofessional, we called and they never returned our calls) If you have an opportunity, do not use this dealership. Waste of time, money, and your life.

Original review: June 2, 2018

After our experience last year (see below), I was cautious giving Carmax another chance. But, I am in the market for a used car for myself and they, unfortunately, have the best selection. I started the process a couple of weeks ago while I waited on my bonus and asked for a vehicle to be brought over to test drive. I was contacted by John, who received my inquiry via their web page. He got the car scheduled to transfer (which took quite a long time for being so close...but that may be logistics). While transferring, I went into the Dayton store to look at some other vehicles. I went in without notification and was not surprised the John was with another customer, so they put me with another employee. Fine, no worries, I didn't tell him I would be in.

I drove a couple of cars and then left, noting that I would be back that weekend. Again, no set time, so he was unavailable, no biggie, I tested a couple more. The next time, I did tell him I would be in about 7 on a Friday. I had also requested another vehicle. I called later that week because I had not heard about the transfer, where he told me that he had not seen it and would get it processed (I don't know how he could have missed it). I told him I was coming in Friday with my wife to look again and get her opinion. Surprise, busy. Now I am with the third person (whom always go through the same script, "what kind of car are you looking for, blah, blah, blah). Do they not add this to my profile? Do they need to keep asking? Well, the test drive went okay, but again, no John.

This happened the next two times, always with different people. Finally, the other car was in and I told Victoria (his second) that I would be in at 10 am Saturday (6/2). I go in and, guess what...no John (he was on a charity walk) and no Victoria. In the meantime, the guy at the front desk saw John coming in and said he would let him know I was there. I told him I would be in the lot browsing and to have him meet me there or call. At 10:45, I had had enough. I went back in and John was sitting with other customers, I guess appointments mean little to the Dayton store and of course still no Victoria. I told the desk guy I wanted to speak to a manager, and he said he was one. I informed him of my extreme dissatisfaction with the process (it mirrored last year) and told him that corporate WILL hear of this and I would go down to the Cincinnati store (40 min out of my way). Monday, I will make sure they do.

With the prices they charge I expect a few things in return from Carmax: Clean mechanically sound cars, a clean showroom, and exceptional customer service. The customer service at Dayton is not even mediocre, The Cincinnati store was the exact opposite as far as service. IF, and that is a very big IF I end up buying a car again from Carmax, it will be because of the Cincinnati store. I will be talking to corporate, and you better believe that I will go out of my way to warn others looking for cars in Dayton to stay away from Carmax, Dayton.

Up until today, I have had a good experience with Carmax. I bought my Genesis from them and could not be happier. However, our experience this time while shopping for a car or SUV for my wife has been less than acceptable. I had them bring a Kia Optima EX up from Cincinnati to test drive. It went fine, though I have worked with three different people now, but it was fine except for a seat heater that was not working. I requested on their website, later that night, for a Murano to be brought over from Louisville as the one they had was a base model. I received a call today from one of the three people we have talked to that 'management' was balking at having it brought over. We've had one other car brought...from 35 miles away...and it's their policy all over the website that they will do this, with no commitment. IT’S ON THEIR WEBSITE AS A POLICY.

They, according to the caller, say we've drive too many varied cars (it's my prerogative to find what we like, correct?) and even apparently thought I had asked for those cars to be transferred (they were on the lot, and it shouldn't matter it's their policy, with a happy freaking face). So, in summary, it does not matter how many cars/SUV's we've driven, it should not matter we asked for two from close Carmax dealers to be transferred, it should not matter if we are looking at cars AND SUV's. What matters is they have a corporate policy, they need to stick to it. If I had asked for my 5th car to be transferred, sure, that seems excessive (though not against their policy), I didn't...just two. Will I buy now? Maybe, but they will need to win my business back.

Original review: May 27, 2018

What this country needs is a honest dealer and it's not Carmax. When I got this truck it was advertised with certain equipment and when I got it home and checked it was not what they said. I can remember when my dad said, "Honesty is the best policy."

Original review: May 11, 2018

Carmax is definitely a scam. Sold me a service contract I could never use. Explained that the contract was misrepresented and the service representative basically laughed and said "yes unfortunately we did". The car has never worked properly. They just rigged it up which I discovered later. Horrible customer service!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have purchased three vehicles from CarMax. All three vehicles were deficient in maintenance which CarMax will not fix. CarMax does not ensure that any of their vehicles are up-to-date in maintenance. This will cost you $$ in addition to what you paid CarMax. Also be very aware that any work they perform is not using vehicle OEM parts, they will use generic aftermarket parts to fix any vehicle issues. I bought a 2013 Infiniti G37 with almost 40k miles and in addition to the 30k maintenance not being performed, the vehicle had a brand new set of tires which I had never heard of, certainly not recommended for an Infiniti vehicle. CarMax will do the bare minimum to prep the vehicle and sell it. I do NOT recommend CarMax to anyone looking to buy a used vehicle. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: May 11, 2018

The worst car buying experience I ever had. It took a week to get my car. On top of that the day I was supposed to come and get it supposedly the registry went down. What are the odds. Plus I'm paying double for the car or was 16,000. At the end of financing 32,000 if that's not a rip off.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We recently bought a car at Carmax. We have nothing but the worst experience with them in less than 30 days. We purchase our car on 4/5/18 and has been in the shop for 2 different times. It all started when we bought the car and there was a noise in the breaks. The salesman told us that because the car had been sitting in the lot for a while the noise will disappear in a few days Which it never did. I took the car on the fifth day where we ask to return the car and they automatically send me to the service place to check the car. They wanted a opportunity to check the car which they did and I was carless for a day. The next day they call me to pick up the car. They said they order new parts for the breaks and it might still make noise.

I took the car and once again the noise in the breaks got worst. I drove the car for about 2 weeks and again noise did not go away. I wanted to be fair with the situation but then we had another issue going on with the switch to start your car was not working. After multiple times the car will not start. I have a video where it shows proof of what I had to go through every time I turn on the car. I went back to Carmax to express my concerns. The only response I got from the manager, "You have to understand this car is use and you get apples for apples." I feel discouraged after our conversation I felt she was only giving me excuses. She has been by the worst person to work with. So after I took back once again the car. They let me borrow a loaner for 4 days! As you can understand my frustration of buying a car and having to use another that is not yours. Yes we try to pursued to appraisal the car which was $1000 less for 30 days.

We didn’t move forward after we realize we were going to lose our downpayment, pay an extra $1600 and give another payment which was ridiculous. To top it off my credit score went down with the first purchase, which they still rerun my credit again. My monthly payment would have been $100 dollars more. Completely understand the car was $2000 more. After we notify them we were getting the other vehicle and we were staying with the car. It took them an hour and 15 different employees to find our keys. Once the car keys were found and we turn on the car we found out once again the breaks were still making loud noise. At this point I will never be taking this car back to the service team. Worst experience with the staff and service team. Will never recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I purchased a used vehicle from Carmax in August 2017 at the White Marsh, MD location. One of the first questions I had asked was if the car was in an accident previously. The salesperson, Kendra ** assured me that it was not. She then touted the low apr financing that Carmax offers, including an offer as low as in the 2%. I had already received financing from Bank of America before I got there, but was intrigued because she kept stating the 2% rate that Carmax offers - it beat the 3.99% rate BofA offered. So I went through and received an estimate for Carmax financing. I got the results back: 14% they said. When I showed my surprise at being quoted such a high figure, Kendra began laughing, as if I should have known better and I fell for her joke. I was incredibly irritated but at this point, was desperate for a car so I went through with the purchase.

Four months later, a family friend offered a deal on a brand new Honda Civic that I couldn't turn down. I went to trade in the piece of junk from Carmax (which, it turns out, was truly a piece of junk), only to be quoted a low buyer price because it had been in an accident! The person inspecting the car said it's very obvious to a car salesman that it was in an accident as the paint job to cover it is shoddy and the damage on the inside is very noticeable. He also told me it was straight up highway robbery what they sold the car to me for. So Kendra had lied to my face saying that the car had never been in an accident, and Carmax needlessly jacked up the price of this vehicle to a trusting customer.

Needless to say, after this experience, I have been telling my family, friends, colleagues, strangers, my grocery store clerk, anyone, about my horrendous Carmax experience and to never trust this conniving company ever. Also, I drive a brand new Honda Civic now. TL;DR: Do not go to Carmax for anything other than to be laughed at your expense and to be swindled out of your hard earned money.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I went to Carmax with my grandson to buy a car, he decided to purchase a Ford 2011 Mustang, he had a fix it slip to get his windshield fix and a noise was coming from the back brakes. Carmax never took care of the items, the windshield was chipped in the front of the car, and until this day it has not been taken care of. Call several times to the maintenance department. They continue to tell him they are waiting on a new one to come in, I find this action very deceitful and horrible, and not good customer service, I am thinking to sue them in court because I was there when they sold him the car and have witnessed more than one.

Not sure about Carmax?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Carmax Company Information

CarMax
    www.carmax.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business