Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Carmax
3.52/5

Carmax

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

785 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

It appears to me that the issues people are stating do not fall under warranty, that is why warranty wasn't used. Warranty doesn't cover everything, especially wear and tear like tires for instance, or mold. Also, if you have issues with the smell from the beginning why wouldn't you ask for it to try to be fixed before you bought it. I have a CarMax Mini Cooper, 2011 and extended warranty and I'm responsible for things such as dim lights or tires, etc. I was going to buy a Volkswagen originally but I could tell a smoker had previously owned the car. They attempted to fix it and it was better but not up to my standard so I didn't buy the car.

The point also is that these are used cars so they are not in mint condition. Too many consumers expect when they buy a used car that it's going to be perfect. Well it's not. If you want a less hassle car buy one you can afford that's new. Certified just means that it meets standards to pass inspection for the most part. Tires are not brand new, brakes are not brand new so if you buy a car with 30,000 miles brakes still may meet standard to pass inspection in your state but you will most likely have to replace them around 40,000 miles. Same with tires. I've always owned new cars, this is my first used car but had realistic expectations, most people do not. I've never had issues with service either, although my 2011 Mini with now 94,000 has had only wear and tear issues that I am responsible for. Too many consumers think that stores like CarMax or other retail stores owe them something more than they do.

In my experience with others who own used cars from CarMax vs other dealerships CarMax service goes out of its way to work with the customer to the best of their ability. I do think that sometimes service can take longer than people would like or expect which can be frustrating but sometimes it's because if the issue is under factory warranty it has to go to the manufacturer dealer and CarMax has no control over how long that takes. I'm so sick of hearing people complain that their six year old used Mercedes needs to go in for service all the time. Many six year old vehicles, even if bought originally new will need service and things will start to break down. You have to judge the car based on the year and mileage of the car. Not have false expectations that because you bought a 6 year old Mercedes at CarMax or any other dealerships and it is new to you that it is actually new, because it is not.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Ok, so first of all - Reading some of these comments are TOO hilarious! Most of them are people who do not have their documents together, not understanding the website or just think they are getting a “new car”. These are ONLY USED CARS! Next, YOU ARE BUYING A CAR! You’re are not getting a combo at Burger King, clothes or some small item - it’s a car! It’s going to take some hours, depending on what you are getting done. Second, you have to get that mess out of your head that USED cars are NEVER going to have any issues. No matter what new age or small of miles, as the first owner or second owner you can NOT predict how they used and took care of that car. I love how Carmax reconditions their vehicles, upfront with the prices and they offer the Extended Warranty. I would only assume those people who don’t get the warranty has the most repair problems and paying thousands of dollars.

Don’t be those people giving the One Stars for service. Every Carmax car I have gotten has had the warranty and out of the 4 Carmax cars I have owned, I have used it on only ONE which saved me over 3,000$! And I only paid 150$ out of pocket. I mean, don’t bank on that Manufacturer Warranty because most of what they “say is covered” is NOT. And last - every time I’ve bought a car from Carmax, I needed proofs like income, residence and insurance. Yeah! Let me prove that I make the money I say I make, I live at the address I say I live at AND let me show you I have current insurance! It’s not hard! It’s not their fault you put ALL of your bills in your wife’s or husband's name, that you don’t have any bills and living rent free - I mean it’s THAT simple! Come on! Also - cars DEPRECIATE! No matter a month, 6 months or 6 years!

You WILL NOT get your money back on a car you just bought months or years ago. NEVER going to happen unless! You put down over 40-50% of the price of the car. That’s just common sense. And quick tip - to the people saying their car “was not saved on the website” you HAVE to confirm the EMAIL address you put on the hold! If not, the car is NOT saved! I mean you are grown people! Let’s read some instructions, accept the fact they sell used cars and have your stuff in order if you have to show proof of something!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been shopping online for the past 6 months for a GMC Yukon XL at multiple websites and have visited dealerships for a test drive. I was a little reluctant when I saw a vehicle that was in my price range with the low mileage that I wanted for sale on Carmax's website because I question where they get their vehicles, reputation, return policy, etc. The vehicle was located two states away and it was a $99 shipping fee to the local dealer by my house, so I figured if I don't like it I will just eat the $99 fee. I must mention that previous to this purchase I did a lot of research, test drove multiple vehicles and made offers at local reputable dealerships, but received the run around treatment and classic used car dealer line of "our vehicles are priced aggressively to sell" with zero flexibility on their overpriced tags (overpriced both on Edmunds and KBB). To say that my patience was at an all time low would be an understatement.

So I took the chance and I had the car delivered (which took two days longer than originally told which was the only downside to my Carmax experience) and scheduled a test drive. The Yukon was fully loaded, had a clean Carfax, had less than 20k miles on it, and had a 36k mile factory warranty. It was exactly what my wife and I were looking for and the price was very fair and accurate to KBB and Edmunds pricing. After I drove the Yukon, I sat down with the dealer and told him I liked what I saw and wanted to purchase the vehicle (at sticker cost) but was going to use my own pre-approved bank financing. He said that is fine, took the bank letter I provided him and in an hour I was on my way home with the new vehicle (fully detailed). THAT WAS IT! NO HIDDEN DEALER FEES, NO TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY ANY ADDITIONAL SERVICES OR PRODUCTS, NOTHING!

He did briefly mention the Carmax warranty options but I chose not to purchase one because I'd rather utilize a certified GMC dealer warranty (which I'm shopping for now) and he did not mention it again after I told him I wasn't interested. This was hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had. No haggling, no pressure, and I was in and out (they even ordered me the DVD headsets that were missing). Traditional car dealerships need to take note of my experience, like the Carmax saying goes, "This is how car buying should be!" And I am not a Carmax employee nor do I know anyone who works there. This was just a really good hassle-free car buying experience that needs to be recognized.

I've read a lot of Carmax reviews and some were good and some were bad, but majority of the poor ones revolved around dealer service and maintenance which is an area I cannot speak on because I did not purchase their warranty. Nevertheless, when it is time for me to purchase another vehicle, I am definitely going to Carmax first.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This is my second time purchasing through Carmax in Norcross, GA. I must say that both times were smooth sailing. The first time, my cash car had given out on me and I needed a car asap. My cousin recommended Carmax so I went online, applied, got my approval for the amount I was willing to spend, walked in the store the next day signed paperwork and walked out with my car. This second time, that same car was in a wreck and was written off. I knew it would be some time while the insurance company did their part but I applied for the amount I was willing to spend to not be in a rental for too long.

Toya at that location worked with me for just about a month while I waited on the GAP insurance to do their part. There was never any pressure. She answered every call, email and text message I sent. I finally had every thing resolved and texted her the night before to come in and see the cars I had saved online. I went in and she was as amazing in person as she was over the phone. I inspected the car I decided on and every thing checked out. I also referred my grandmother who recently moved to the area to that same Carmax and she had a great experience also! Get the GAP insurance! It's a few bucks extra but definitely worth it!

Original review: June 30, 2018

I will never buy a car anywhere else! Seriously. Whenever a friend or family member talks about buying a car, I always suggest Carmax because of how easy it is. In 2015, I walked in nervous about buying a car but walked out two hours later happy and driving my perfect car. First off, I never felt pressured. My first experience at a car dealership when I was a teenager left me in tears. All the Carmax people were friendly, respectful and genuinely seemed to care about my family's needs.

Secondly, they have processing centers in the building so you don't have to go to the DMV. Lastly, I got my loan through Carmax auto finance; their customer service is great and the website is easy to use and make payment. Even though my Prius is still going strong, I can't wait to buy another car here. It's nice to look online and daydream about the possibilities.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: May 18, 2019

Bought a car at CarMax in Brandywine last week. Was encouraged by Anna that we didn’t need to test drive it because it would take much longer to finish the transaction, we had 7 days to return it if something was wrong. So we purchased it. On the drive home the windshield started cracking. We stopped and inspected it and noticed a small, circular area where it appears a rock had hit it, but the area had a sticker placed over it. A rock hadn’t hit it on our drive, so it appears CarMax but a sticker over it to hide it. As this was preexisting, we called CarMax the next day, and the first time were hung up on. Then we called and were told told to call back when the manager was in.

We called back and explained the situation and was told to submit to our insurance. We don’t want to submit to our insurance due to the fact the rock chip was there when CarMax sold it to us (and covered with a sticker by CarMax), plus insurance requires a deductible paid out of pocket. So we told them we were bringing the car back to return it, and they backpedaled and said to call back the next day. We called back and the manager won’t be back until May 20th. So now it’ll be past the 7 day return window! I’m sure they put us off repeatedly on purpose so it would be outside of the 7th day window. Meanwhile the crack has been getting worse and worse. So upset! CarMax needs to fix the crack because it was there before we bought the car! Stay away if they won’t take responsibility for the cars they sell!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Great service, not so great cars. I am now under the impression that while cars are at Carmax, they probably are receiving or receive a deodorizer treatment. Three days after taking ownership of my vehicle, a strong odor began to become apparent. It was difficult to identify but it had a moldy mildew smell. After researching online, I discovered a forum that suggested I look into the cabin air filter. I did and what I found was shocking. Rat droppings!! Yes, it looks as though rodents had eaten through the filter and built a nest or den there. Photos attached. I almost lost my lunch. The thought of me breathing this in for the past few weeks while I sit in traffic is gross! Thanks a lot Carmax. Buyers beware, customer service is excellent and vehicles run and look good but unfortunately smells are masked rather than resolved.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I am looking for an SUV and saw one online at CarMax in Roseville. I am not even going to check it out now. There are way too many bad reviews for some on them to not be true. Shame on this company. I think customer service is important.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Will NEVER go back to Carmax in Brooklyn Park, MN. Our appointment was at 5. They jerked us around asking for more documents needed that they said nothing about before hand. They had us transfer insurance to the car we were buying. Then tried to say we needed to pay more money because the appraisal on a car we were trading in expired and by that point it was closing and the appeasers went home. We said it was done within the 7 days the website stated, they then told us they had it.

We stated we were not leaving w/o the car my son was purchasing and after more dinking around and complaining to the manager because now it was 10:15 mind you we got there for our 5:00 appointment we were told my son needed a co-signer because even though he had the proof of work history it was not with the same company (which the sales guy said nothing about, and tried to play it off like he just found out). Needless to say we didn’t leave Carmax until 11:20 pm with the car we went there to buy.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Went to CarMax to get an idea of what my car was worth as I was starting to look for a car. The appraisal was low at $700 considering Kelley Blue Book said $3,000. In those 3 weeks I bought a car and not from CarMax. Same day I bought the car I took my old car to CarMax. This time ready to sell. This time the appraisal was for $400. The car was driven no more than 25 miles in that time and zero changes made to the car. I was given the exact same reasons the estimate was $700 but this time the value of the car was cut in half. The only thing that changed on the appraisal was the odometer and that wasn’t even one of the reasons given to me for this insult and was of time. I know it’s not a huge some of money but to a family of 5 it sure as stuff is.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Had 5 different offers for my car, by far Carmax gave me the best deal over by 175 dollars. Deal was done in less than 30 minutes. Best used car dealer ever in Chicagoland. Highly recommended. Stop here first before anywhere else to save time and efforts.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Went in to buy a car and ended up deciding on a 09 BMW, I was approved and they told me to get insurance on the car and pick up the next day. I paid 300 dollars to get insurance. They had me running around for 4 days getting all the paperwork they "needed" that I had already submitted. And every time I went in it was a new person helping me. In the end they had the nerve and call me and say they won't do business with me. Basically they didn't like the way my boss pays me and does his stubs. They were forcing me to use one of their computers to log into my bank statements or company time clock, basically so they. Could monitor me. After being told "You're all set to pick up your car tomorrow". I even called the loan company and said everything was good and we're waiting for the contract to be sent. Shady. I would give this place 0 stars if I could.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased a $13,000 Honda CR-V EX-L from Carmax. In hindsight, the car was probably $3000 overpriced. I purchased the vehicle 6 mos. ago, in November 2018, and have since had to sink $4000 into maintenance that should have been covered under their infamous "120 point" inspection. My latest debacle with this vehicle involved a full replacement of the air conditioner condenser at $1000+. What concern would Carmax have selling me an EX-L model without a functioning A/C in November, right. Other problems involved fully engine gasket replacement, fouled spark plugs, and I can go on and on and on.... Bottom line -- AVOID CARMAX LIKE THE BLACK PLAGUE. THEY EXIST FOR THE PURPOSE OF RIPPING YOU OFF!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I had problems with my air the day I purchased vehicle. They put me in a rental only to say they fixed it but no they didn’t. Then they sent to Kia. Still not working. Two years later and I still owe three years on this vehicle and I need a new engine due to no neglect on my end. Thanks for selling bad cars and no they don’t do any kind of point inspections. If they did I would not have this many issues.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I don't know if the Carmax site qualifies since it actually has brick and mortar stores but, the ability to search model, year and price and have the car brought to me was important. Also, it was comforting to know that they have a certification process for each vehicle sold.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Found Vehicle of interest in Maryland. Had it shipped to King Of Prussia in attempt to test drive & inspect it on 4/8/19 - Dealt with person named Josephine @ Carmax via internet. Received email that vehicle was on location in KOP & forwarded a buyer's contract to sign prior to inspection. "Putting the Horse before the Cart!" Replied with email on Friday 4/12/19 that needed to test drive & inspect vehicle prior to signing any contract. No response. Advised Josephine would be back on Monday, 4/15/19. Emailed 2 more times, setting up appointment to test drive & inspect vehicle on Wednesday, 4/17/19 at 10:00 am. Drove hour away with my wife to inspect & test drive the vehicle.

Josephine whom was scheduled to be there at 9 am was no show, and neither was the vehicle. Told that vehicle was not on the property, reasons unknown. Nothing but frustration, disappointment, and a total waste of valuable irreplaceable time. Place is locked up tight with an atmosphere of a prison! No looking at cars without employee by your side! Tried to look at vehicles in lot & was told to go into the service area. Congratulations CARMAX. You get a "F" as it was the worst attempt to purchase any vehicle in my life! With your present CARMAX Service your CARMAX will most likely end as your Circuit City did! What a total Ignorant Disgrace!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Please DO NOT take your car to Carmax for an appraisal!!!! I owned a 2007 Cadillac XLR that was in like-new condition and they offered me only 13,000 for it. I then took it to a dealership and they gave me 21,000 on the spot for my car. I was not shopping for another car.... Only wanted to sell the Cadillac.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Had to replace the engine after owning for 6 months. When the engine was pulled from the car, it was discovered it was not the original engine.... It was one that came from a junkyard. The dealership has given me the "runaround". Informed me today they would not do anything for me. This is a fraud.... Car marketed with 35K miles with an engine from a junkyard with unknown mileage. None of this disclosed. Still waiting for Joe ** to call me back. Do the right thing Carmax!! I will not stop until you do. Joe my number is **.

Original review: March 27, 2019

If Carmax associates were the best they would take care of a friend of mine’s son who bought a CRV in White Marsh with a vibration right off the lot that only required a 3 hour fix/computer update trust me I have had a CRV and that’s all it needs to fix the problem, so this has turned into Carmax still having the car after a month with him using a brand new car for a loaner car which I’m sure Carmax needs back. So management and employees are giving them a total run around with the entire thing when it should have been just a simple fix from the start. He hadn’t even made the first payment or even taken delivery of the car yet shame on CarMax to take his hard earned money. Co workers and other friends aren’t going to Carmax ever again! I’m spreading the word and letting everyone know this place has no customer service and to avoid at all cost!

Original review: March 26, 2019

My vehicle was towed to CarMax for service on Feb. 5, 2019. I have photos of what my vehicle looked like before service was performed by CarMax. AAA towing and myself have photos. When I go to pick up the vehicle the front driver side fender is severely damaged. CarMax stated it was like that when they received it but never notified me. After going back and forth with CarMax. AAA towing provided photos proving that it was not like that when AAA dropped it off. Also, I have photos showing that it was not as well. CarMax stated that CarMax towed vehicle into shop. CarMax is not fixing the damage they caused.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I found the SUV I wanted to test drive - a 2018 Ford Edge Titanium with 30k miles, online. Requested the transfer and the salesman called to set up an appointment. When we arrived at Carmax the salesperson was not available and got the financing person to take us on the test drive. She couldn’t even locate the vehicle in the lot. We walked all over then she asked us to wait inside until she could locate it. We really liked the vehicle and decided to go through with the purchase using my pre-approved loan from JSCFCU.

Carmax wanted the bank drafted immediately but it was Saturday and the credit union closed at 1. Zadi then proceeds to tell us that we need to return to complete an application through Carmax or else she has to put it back on the lot. We were already putting more than half the amount of the vehicle as down payment and she then proceeded to write a “quickie" contract for the remainder at 4.9% for seven years - ridiculous! I felt pressured and forced to sign this contract but I really wish I had the guts to just walk out. I love the vehicle but I hated Carmax's high pressure tactic. Will certainly not recommend Carmax to friends or family.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Ok, it's this simple, they will take your 10,000 dollar car, give you 5k for it, lump the other 5k you owe onto their car they're selling you. Their 15k car is really worth 10, so you're overpaying by 5k plus. Now add back in the 5k you owed on your car. Now you're at 20 grand for a 10k car. It's that simple, wholesale for your car and 110 percent retail pricing on ALL of their cars. Ready for the kicker, they'll give you better financing than anyone because it's in house financing AND they'll charge you a daily interest rate, making about half your monthly payment interest only. Confused yet? Disgusted yet? You should be...I will never buy from them again and will steer others away from them any chance I get.

Original review: March 22, 2019

My daughter bought a car from CarMax Las Vegas, NV. Called and told them the problem. Was told they would run diagnostic and repair for free. She makes an appointment and when she arrives they state they won’t diagnose or repair the car for free. Pretty sad they say one thing and do another. How do they expect return customers. I know I will never do business with them.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Carmax's employees take forever and a day to get back to you. Since you have to request a transfer instead of just being able to pay for said transfer it usually means that the car you were looking at gets sold out from under you. For a company that centers around cutting out having to deal with a sales person, you have to deal an awful lot with lazy employees who try to sell you cars you're not interested in because the ones you want get bought out from under you. In short, pick your poison.

Original review: March 8, 2019

From the beginning this was looking like a 5 star review. Everything from the greeting to the streamline approach to selling a car. We bought a 2017 Ford Fusion on March 7, 2019 and when we went out to the bay we found a nice big yellow ribbon on the car. Then we walk up to the car and it's filthy. I asked the salesman what's going on with this and he said they run it through the car wash and that's it. Water spots, smearing, couldn't see out the windows. They were so bad. This really surprised me since they really seem like they have the car sales process so streamlined. All they need is some chemicals and a detailer and this could have been a five star. Very upsetting. My recommendation, don't sign until you look at the car after it has been "cleaned".

Original review: March 7, 2019

If you need Carmax to send you a payoff quote, or send information to your insurance company, good luck! For tasks other than taking your money, they seem to 'lose' your request in their system. Very poor customer service. They have no ability to speed up a request once it is a second request. They do not seem to understand that owners have the right to hold insurance with whomever they please- and it does not have to be integrated in their 'Carmax' system.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Beware of CarMax's finance policy, time it carefully if you are going to refinance. The cars are priced 5% above the 110% of the allowable finance rate and to refinance you will have to put down approximately $1300 on a $22K vehicle. In addition, they lower your score by approximately 10% if they are financing which can push your rate up. Consumer beware.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My wife needed a reliable car to drive our young kids in, so she went with her father-in-law to the Kenosha, WI CarMax and ended up purchasing a 2012 Town & Country - 32,000 miles. Three months later, the van has all the dash lights on and intermittently stalls within 15 mins of starting the vehicle. Call CarMax and get the sob story that "if you purchased extended warranty..." Given that they sold my wife on all the care they take in their extended, quality inspection, why would someone expect to have issues with a "thoroughly inspected car" with 32,000 miles on it?

CarMax service personnel also said they couldn't promise us a courtesy car while they reviewed the issue. Took the car to a trusted local mechanic who confirmed this van needed a new alternator and battery (a $900 repair). Alternators should be expected to last for roughly 100,000 miles, and what kind of "thorough inspection" doesn't identify an alternator or battery issue? I suspect we have have been the victim of a bait and switch, with factory parts being removed and replaced with older, used parts. I won't' trust CarMax again. Now I'm worried of what other issues will be popping up next. Frustrated and unsatisfied with CarMax.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Have been dealing with Carmax for many years. However recently have been VERY disappointed. They seem that over the years they are REALLY trying to squeeze every penny out of potential customers. They cannot use the same process to appraise ALL vehicles which they currently do. I brought a high end car (MSRP over $100000). I understand very well the entire process and expect wholesale figures. HOWEVER, when their price comes in more than $7000 under what a dealer will give me tells me something is wrong with Carmax system. They definitely need to get back to the drawing board. Horrible experience from the home office. Will think twice about ever doing business with Carmax again.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We bought a Kia Sportage 2012 from Carmax. Less than a year the engine broke down. After 9 months exactly the engine broke down. They didn't help at all and the car cost us 6000 $. They are not helpful. They sell bad cars. Don't buy cars from them. And we called all the managers. No one helped us or did a small thing or even care. They sell bad cars and that's it.

CarMax expert review by Tom Rains

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

Profile picture of Tom Rains
Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carmax Company Information