2. Automotive

Carmax

Carmax
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: June 11, 2020

I bought a car From Carmax and the experience was very good. Plenty of on-site selections and the details on the website are very thorough. Even when there is no car on site, the website gives you enough details to be worth ordering. The only problem I had with ordering it to be delivered to the onsite, was it didn't have every item on the list, especially cruise control. But the price was right, and I bought it. One other item I was concerned about was my trade-in. They charge too much for the inspection and that detracts from what they gave me for my truck. Their financing is very good. Overall, I was well pleased.

Original review: June 9, 2020

We have purchased our 2010 Chevrolet Traverse at Pleasanton,Ca. We chose the bumper to bumper warranty and it has been a blessing. The Repair Pal has been great when you can't get a service appointment at the dealer. We have had over $6000.00 worth of repairs due to age of the vehicle. Steering rack, transmission pump, replaced flex plates, air pressure sensors, and all but one transmission sensor. And I have 2 more years left on the warranty. My neighbor bought her van there after us and bought the same warranty and she had mechanical issues. She settled with a newer van, less mileage, and smaller car payment. My son then bought his Jeep Wrangler there and his wife got her Dodge Charger there. Everyone has been pleased with Carmax service, though you need to be firm with your needs for loaners during repairs.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2020

We traded in a 2020 Toyota Corolla which we were not happy with at all because of physical disabilities we did not expect when we purchased it. The Toyota’s seats were very uncomfortable, no power seats, could not see out the front of the car well and the interior dash left much to be desired. We bought the Toyota in too much of a hurry. We lost money on it with a trade in at Carmax. It was only two months old. We got a beautiful 2014 Mazda Grand Touring with power seats, comfortable seats clear easy to see dash, good vision out the front. Wish the trade in had been better on the Toyota.

Original review: June 4, 2020

There are not enough business locations in small to mid-sized cities. Like auto dealerships, the sales staff can be somewhat pushy. The sales staff will gloss over some questions and will try to minimize any defects or shortcomings in particular vehicles of interest. Pricing options are typically good and better than most competitors. I looked and was ready to buy, but ended up purchasing a used vehicle from a local dealership where I was able to verify any defects from the previous owner. Due to the 100 mile distance to the Carmax location, I was skeptical of the reliability of the quality of the vehicle offered.

Original review: May 24, 2020

From the no pressure sales at the store in Portland Maine, to the unbelievable kindness and patience I was treated with at the service desk in Irvine California, this company has been repeatedly good to me! Not only did they work with me when they technically could have told me to go suck rocks, they were also kind about it! Everyone I have ever spoken to at the company has been polite, respectful and kind, including the person I spoke to when I was sick with a fever for two weeks and needed to put my bill off for a month! It was much appreciated on my end as these seem to be qualities that are diminished to non existent. We all put a good face on social media for quarantine but the truth is, out in public, most people are scared and reactive! They're downright mean! So nice to see smiling eyes above a mask or hear a cheery voice on the phone! Thanks Carmax!

Original review: July 15, 2020

Purchased a 2018 Jeep Compass for our daughter on 07/01/2020. On the drive home (meanwhile we live a hour and a half away from the Lancaster co. CarMax where we purchased vehicle) on the ride home we noticed a vibration and a loud hum coming from under vehicle when you reach speeds of 45 mph. And above. Contacted CarMax the next day. Was told it is under warranty for 90 days and it still has balance of 3 year factory warranty. Options was bring it back a hour and half drive or to a Jeep dealer 10 minutes from my home. Dealer was the choice.

Upon inspection of vehicle it was determined that front driver side and passenger rear hub bearings were no good. The vehicle only has 6,300 miles on odometer. Vehicle repaired dealer says very hazardous for it to be driven that distance on bad hub bearings. Contacted CarMax Lancaster Pa. Stated to me it is good that it was still under warranty so it did not cost you nothing. But no explanation on how it has brand new. PA. Inspection stickers on vehicle. How did it pass?

Long story short sent email to corporate and crickets. Buyer beware. They get your money you are a memory. CarMax does not return phone call complaints or email complaints unless you put hold on check which I did not do. I put my trust and faith behind them. What a mistake. Dealer also stated there is no way a qualified auto technician could let that pass inspection. CarMax has serious customer service issues. Would have given no stars it would not let me. Whenever your daughter and wife are in a unsafe vehicle you would understand. 0 stars.

Original review: July 15, 2020

The sales staff was good but the management and business office stink! After 15 minutes I went to the window and asked if we were going to get to pay for the vehicle today. I then saw the salesman and told him I could take the cashiers check back unless we got some service. After another five minutes I said in two minutes I was going to ask for the manager. I counted the 120 seconds and asked for the manager. When he came I asked if waiting 22 minutes to pay for a car today was acceptable when we committed to buy it yesterday but the vehicle had to be bobbed for fleas. He said he’d talk to the business manager.

When he came he said there had been two customers in front of us; one at a desk I’d seen and one in the business office. I asked if the one in the office was working with someone remotely because there was no one in there but employees. He said no, there had been a lady in there. This was blatantly untrue! I promised him to post this on social media. If we had not been getting it for my wife and she loved the truck I would have walked out. As it is I promised to post about it on as much social media as I could. So it is here and other places. I will never go back to Carmax. If he had apologized and accepted responsibility it may have been otherwise.

Original review: July 1, 2020

DO NOT BUY from them!! We bought a Lexus from them 2 years ago that they said hit a pothole in NYC. That is how they justified the Carmax. So I was okay with that, but to come to find after the 7 days of return. It was not the case and they would not take it back. SO.... They did fix the front end suspension and replaced the front tires with new tires ones. NOW, with this "Cares Act" they are suppose to give 3 months of no payments. They did NOT do that and misled me to that they did. First customers service said they didn't but then a manager was listening and came on to say they did. BUT I had to make the first payment then they would alternate between months.

Long story short as of June they waived 1 months payment and I have made two payments and a manager would not take OR return my call. Customer service said that they stopped the service and since I am not delinquent of 60 days or more my payment cannot be waived. I said would you turn me into collections and charge late fees they said "Yes." Carmax sent me a letter saying of being delinquent from MAY, not June. May was the payment they were to waive. Catch 22 and Shading Business Practices.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Carmax sold me a 17k vehicle without properly working air conditioning, and falsified the Md state inspection they provided to me. They cover most issues up or deny that they’ve noticed anything not working properly until after the 90 day warranty period. They are con artists & thieves!

Original review: June 28, 2020

I Recently purchased a Mercedes-Benz from this location. I was so happy! The process took all day and did not get in vehicle till almost midnight. After getting in car I saw a broken console and 25. min later my service engine light came on. Told associate immediately what happened! Three days later I was able to get car in shop. First day they said they would take care of it. Few hours later I get a call asking did I hit an animal.. They said it was blood on car and trim damage. I said how could and 25 min later after pulling off I sent a text about the light coming on.

The next day I receive a call saying the turbo boost was low and the body damage and they wouldn't work on the car until the body damage was fixed and it was fluid leaks. The next day I get a call accusing me of damaging the car and that I must have my insurance pay for a car that I didn't damage. When I turned the car in shop there was no leaking and no one mentioned any leaking while it sat in front of the repair for almost an hour and I would assume with it being a repair shop that would be the first thing said and noticed. I was also told my car was inspected June 1 but I didn't purchase it till the 20th, so for 19 days my car sat in a lot being moved around by test drivers and employees. I only had 20 min with my dream car before it became a potential nightmare.

I am still at lost for words and feel like I was completely scammed by a company that I trusted and my family has been trusting as well. I did end up going up there to talk to the Manager of the whole location as well as the one in charge of repairs. The verdict is still up in the air and now I have the whole weekend to dread the decision I shouldn't have to face in the first place. I was promised a fair and well thorough investigation and hope that I do receive that! It could be worse though I guess I was given a loaner but it's nowhere to the standards Of my Mercedes-Benz I purchased. Before buying a car here please make sure you inspect everything. Get under the car as well and maybe bring a man with you!

CarMax author review by Tom Rains

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carmax Company Information