Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.21/5

Dodge Ram

The Ram pickup is a full-size pickup truck that is marketed as the Ram Trucks brand. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

468 Dodge Ram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Worst vehicle I ever owned. Terrible purchase experience from Dodge dealership in Conroe, TX and nothing but ongoing issues since day 1. In fact, even got home the day I picked it up from the dealer. Left parking lot onto street and had to return to drop in service department for two weeks. Rear window won't roll up, rack & pinion stripped gears, start button stuck and can't turn vehicle off, paint flaking off roof, alignment way off and won't stay put, drooping driver's side visor, radio drifts and changes functions when hot, shifting problems, map lights failed, leaking 3rd brake light, rear pinion seal leaking. Total lemon. Dodge won't take back. Dealer told me to stop bringing it in after 12 trips to shop in 3 years. Arbitration service said no warranty as long as vehicle is drivable. Dodge customer service said no warranty if vehicle kept outdoors. Run far and fast from Dodge. Total Garbage and Waste of $40K.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 has sat at the dealership for eight months now (since 5-10-2018). Not only was my claim within the 10 years and 100,000 miles, it could have caused a deadly accident. I just wanted the damage fixed. After eight months and the value dropping even further they completely denied the claim and would not even assist with some type of discount. My truck is inoperable and I paid $48,000 10 years ago. Now I am left with nothing and no recourse. If I have learned anything it is never buy from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I purchased a 2017 Ram 3500 crew cab dually Laramie edition for my hauling business. Within the first week I was at the dealer with a complaint about wind noise coming through the back cab. They sent me to their glass department where I was told the back window wasn’t properly set from the factory. They said they have seen this before and the only way to fix it was they remove the back window and replace it. Being that the truck was only a week old I was extremely hesitant but agreed to the repair. Two weeks later I was back with the same problem and now when it rained water would come in and drop down the rear seat.

I took it to another Ram dealer and this time was told after several test drives with their body technicians that the seams on the back of the cab were not formed together correctly and that’s where the wind noise was coming from not the rear window. Their solution for the repair was to remove the bed, fix the seams, repaint the back cab and then reinstall the bed. They would also take out the rear window once again and try and reseal it. I declined the repair and will be trading my brand new 68k truck in for a different brand. I have called Ram advanced support team and they have refused to take the truck back and give me another one. They said I must go through the repair process before they will discuss any further options.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought my 2016 Dodge Ram 4X4 Cummings diesel used in Coldwater Michigan. I live in Northern Indiana. The truck had 33,000 miles on it. I have had no problems with this truck. Changed the fuel filters when I first got it and did an oil change. The truck runs like a top. I haul a 32 foot travel trailer in the summer months to go camping and it tows so much better than my gas model Ram 2500. It was a 2008. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Love this truck...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We purchased our 2019 Dodge Ram Lone Star on Labor Day of 2018, from All-Star Dodge in Canyon, TX. We live on 3 miles of dirt road, out in the country! The cab of our NEW pickup fills up with dirt every time we go down it! So much it’s suffocating! I’ve taken our truck to All-Star and they took pictures and they sent them into Chrysler, but they said the doors looked completely sealed. Since then I’ve sent MORE pictures and a video to Salvador at All-Star and still nothing is being done!???

My advice, don’t buy one of these, if you’re going to be driving it on dirt roads!! That’s pretty much why we own/buy trucks, because we live on a dirt road!! We own Fords and have owned Chevys and NEVER have we had dirt filling the cab, of our other pickups anytime!! Oh and I’m VERY OCD, about keeping my vehicles clean, at all times and I CAN’T KEEP THIS ONE CLEAN, AT ALL ON THE INSIDE!! We’ve had this truck starting January 1, 2019 goin' on 5 months, that being said! I’ve been inhaling all the dirt and continue to, all this time and have been sneezing, coughing and dealing with sinus infections, from this crap!

I’m headed back to Amarillo today 12-29-18, so YES I’m going to All-Star Dodge AGAIN & gonna see about getting someone higher up the ladder or having Salvador call someone higher than him!! Sick of this crap!! Oh yes and the trucks under warranty and I’ve already heard that All-Star Dodge will not/do not stand behind their word of, “We will take care of our customers!” So DON’T SHOP THERE!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Ram?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The Android Auto does not allow you to send a text message without taking your eyes off the road to touch the screen to activate the texting option. My 2017 made it possible to activate a text message from the steering wheel control without taking your eyes off the road, the 2019 is a step backwards in my opinion, moreover, if I had know this was going to be the only way to send a text message, I would not have purchased this truck.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

April 2017 I purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram from Mak Haik. In June 2018 the wheel separated from the vehicle sending the vehicle into a few flips. The airbags never deployed for me the driver or my passenger.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Bought new 2500 Crew. 6.4 on spec sheet. Used 2qts of oil doing break-in, continued to smoke at startup, Gets 8mpg. Dealer said all is normal! Worst truck I have ever owned. Traded back to Chevy. Expensive lesson. Come to find out they cost same as Ford and Chevy new but when it's time to trade Ram, no one wants them. Lesson learned. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have never owned a bigger heap of junk. I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 diesel brand new with 249 kilometers on it and at 300 it went in because the 3rd brake light on roof filled with water shorted out and caught fire. Truck was 2 days old. Had to rent a car while being fixed. Then ever since that issue it has broke down every 1000 kilometers since. As of today (December 7, 2018) truck has had over a hundred repairs. On its 5th set of new tires second complete set of brakes oil pan has fell off twice trans pan once. Track bar 3 times now. Two front ends and endless wiring issues. Now if all that isn't enough apparently they need constant 150$ radio updates and it doesn't let you know. Just one day doesn't start.

Tried lemon law and they don't cover anything larger than 1500. Tried trade in. It's worthless. This truck has scared me to not ever buy another new vehicle again. It's been replaced with a 1980 Chevrolet K30. My paperwork I built for the lawyer handling my case on truck is over an 1-1/4" thick. If you ever thought about what it's like to own a Dodge let me tell you. I'd rather run through a live minefield wearing snowshoes and get a kick to groin repeatedly for an hour than buy or ride in another fiat deathtrap.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Five Star Dodge Warner Robins - I brought my 14' Ram 1500 to their service dept 10 separate times to fix my cruise control. With every visit I was greeted as an inconvenience each time until the second to last where Jay who I perceived to have been helpful until I went for the last time. He told me I was square and would not be charged for the repairs due to 99% of the problems being due to lazy mechanics. I was charged $500+ to have the repairs accomplished. Hindsight I shouldn't have given them a dime but I wanted to be done with this dealership as soon as possible. You will have better luck going anywhere but here. I personally have a biased against Dodge in general after this experience and will probably go to another brand.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Love the powerful engine, but not worth the headaches. Tons of recalls... 3 in the last week!!! Brought truck in for its first tire rotation and the mechanic asked if I had been in an accident as the entire truck bed is nearly 2” out of alignment (shifted to the left) with the front cab! Radio, navigation system, AND hands-free phone system all started to glitch at 48, 000 miles. Would cost over $700 to replace. The body looks beautiful, but dents much easier than ANY of my trucks... I’ve owned GMC and FORD prior to purchasing my RAM. Very frustrated with all the service issues and not having a navigation system that was quite pricey!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I bought a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Long Horn ECO DIESEL 3.0. I drove it from Minneapolis St. Paul to MS. I loved the truck, but after 2 weeks, My engine light came on and then I received a warning message stating that my truck would not start after 110 miles. Dodge informed me that the DEF pump was bad and it was going to cost me $2900 plus tax to get it fix. The truck has 150K on it. It has been in the shop more than in my drive garage. I asked other guys about their experience with the DEF pump, and they told me that they deleted it. I asked Dodge about deleting it but they said that it was illegal. So if it's illegal, and their pump is bad, shouldn't Dodge pay for it? It's not my fault or any other ECODIESEL driver's fault that they manufactured a faulting part. I think I'm going to put a sign on my doors that read "DON'T BUY A DODGE...THEY WILL BREAK YOUR BANK".

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I been trying to have my Dodge Ram Truck 2012 fixed since earlier this year. Each time I bring the Ram to shop I been told it cannot be repaired because the part for the recall is not available. Each time I call a case is open up and a few days or weeks later the case is closed for one or another reason. The last case was open on 11/9 and I was instructed to bring the Ram to the shop. My son went to the local Dodge Country Dealer, and was told the part is not available till Feb. 2019 and there is nothing they can do. Meanwhile the Ram make a terrible noise after the gear jumps out on low speed, intersections or red lights and no one will touch it to see what the problem is because of the recall.

Mrs. **, a manager, called and stated after her research between the Dodge Dealer and the Parts Department at Dodge, that recall part is only shipped out in a number of 5 and only every 7 days. We are on the list at the Dodge Country dealership but this does not help much because even that Dodge Dealer states there so many trucks and not enough parts. This is not acceptable and I request that something is done. I have a 2012 Dodge Ram Truck with a bit over 63000 miles and I am barely driving it because of the concern to cause more damage to the transmission. It seems that Dodge customer service does and cannot assist with this issue. I send letters, called, posted on the Dodge website and all I get is: "Sorry there is nothing we can do back because Mopar Parts does not ship more than 5 parts at the time."

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased my 2015 Dodge Ram Eco Diesel from a custom build on Dodge website. To date my truck has been in the service shop in excess of over a 100 days. In fact it had to be towed on Thursday due to another problem. Dodge or should I say Chrysler Canada has been zero help. Getting a case manager from Dodge is a complete waste of time. Do NOT buy a Dodge. I rely on my trucks for work as I am in construction - the most unreliable vehicle ever - the service departments are equally terrible especially Harris Dodge. Always multiple visits and they never seem to fix the problems. I am by no means exaggerating by anything other than a Dodge!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Bought a new 6.7 Cummins Ram 2017 5500 from dealer. Use the vehicle for transporting boats and freight. Stay on top of all my maintenance and the motor has dropped a valve seat at 144k miles. I don't pay 52k for a vehicle and the motor to drop a valve seat in motor. Gonna cost me 10 to 15k to repair motor. Any motor should last long than 144k. If they can't build a motor better than that I will not be buying anymore Ram trucks. I have 2 Rams right now. A 4500 and 5500.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased 2015 Dodge Ram last December with about 30,000, miles on it. Since then it has had FOUR safety recalls and the major recall on the power steering is being ignored. My local auto mechanic told me to see recall number - 16-U-167, but Dodge is stating there is "no recall on this repair" which just cost me over $2,700. I asked to cover at least half the cost of this repair. Rick ** at Christopher Dodge, agreed that this type of repair should not happen at low millage if at all, but they refused make amends and sent me to Dodge. I see a recall (note below) on the internet, but they should be standing behind their product either way. IF the power steering had gone out while I was driving I could have been killed. This will be my last Dodge. https://repairpal.com/recall/16V167000.

Summary: Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 Ram 1500 trucks manufactured January 22, 2015, to September 13, 2015. Contamination on the Electric Power Steering (EPS) control circuit board may cause a short and result in the loss of power steering assist. Any advice would be appreciated.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Bought brand new 2018 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4. In less than 30 days I was back at the dealership with a vibration problem in the rear. Mechanic drove it and said that was normal! About 30 days later went to accelerate to pull out from a stop sign and it was as if I blew a spark plug off. The truck was skipping severely and image of an engine appeared in the dash. Took it in the next day and they fixed it. Now here I am about another 30 days later and the transmission is not downshifting when going to pass someone! The truck sounded like a belt squealing and it started jerking back and forth trying to go into a gear but couldn't! Check engine light on. Pulled over to nearest parking lot and shifted to park. Turned truck off hoping that would reset the truck. Turned the truck back on about 15 minutes later and went to put into drive and it wouldn't move. Went to put it in reverse and it wouldn't move.

I called my husband and he suggested to call the dealership and they can send someone to pick me up; seeing as how this is a brand new truck still under factory warranty! I decided to turn truck back off and wait a little while longer. Next time I started the truck it went into gear but the engine light was still illuminated and it was as if the truck didn't hardly want to go. Drove straight to dealership and they so called fixed it. On my way home from leaving dealership the problem started again! But there are no lights in the dash now when the truck can't go into a lower gear!

I run a small business myself and don't have time to keep running back to the dealership! I highly recommend do not buy a Dodge truck! Now that I'm talking to a few people about my problems with my truck, it seems to be a common issue with Dodge and their transmissions! Someone needs to take legal action on these dealerships that rip folks off by selling them something they know is going to have serious problems! Now I'm gonna take a hard hit when I go to trade this thing in on something more dependable! Please people avoid the 2018 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4 truck by all means!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Sold my 05 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel to buy New 2016 RAM 2500 w/ turbo diesel. After having the fuel sensing unit go out at about 45,000 miles, got it fixed under warranty luckily with 150 dollars deposit. So here I am with 65000 miles, now it's the turbo actuator part. Apparently it's about 3100 dollars (American) without the warranty. So I am locked to have the dealership do the work, and of course it's backordered and I am out of my truck for going on 2 weeks (while renting a mini van to keep myself in business). All I can tell anyone, buy the dealership warranty before driving off the lot. Biggest mistake I've made ever since selling my 05 Dodge Ram inline 6. As soon as I get the truck back, I'm selling to buy another brand. I need a dependable truck.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Bought a demo Dodge Ram 2015 Longhorn Limited EcoDiesel with 2400km on it. On Thanksgiving driving on a HW with my whole family, noticed burning tire smell in cabin, and a smoke behind me. I have just done rustproofing and car was standing outside for 3 days without being used as per recommendation due to drip, but found it weird that the smoke appeared after an hour of driving, did not make sense. As I was pulling over to make sure my tires are not on fire engine shut down without a warning or any type of alarm. I was towing an empty trailer which was soaked with black engine oil and after checking the oil level, there was none in the engine.

After towing my truck back to the dealer and diagnostic (500$CAN) was told that they found metal shavings in oil pan, the main crankshaft bearing failed = metal shavings spread, build up pressure that blew rear main seal and due to engine oil loss resulted in catastrophic engine failure. Since in Canada warranty is only to 100000Km and I am at 141000Km, it will not be covered by a warranty, and service manager, after showing me the bill for repairs told me I should of bought an extended warranty (thanks **, for a reliable product that I bought from your dealership). Called Fiat and any one I could think of, seemed that the system is stacked against consumer. Estimate for repair is 19000$CAN plus 26h of labour, plus tax. (oh and they are on a 2 week backorder since they only make 20/week)

Towed my car on my own to US dealers who are currently installing my new engine (used cost 6500USD and new 9985$ USD) and labour is 23h to do the job (usually 2 business days or less to deliver new engine). In US it is 100000miles warranty and receptionist assured me that he will look into the warranty for me on his side, not holding my breath, but after dealing with all these issues and not having a car for a month, my trust in Dodge or Fiat products has been diminished.

After doing a little googling for this particular issue, a lot of info out there, bottom line there has not been a Canadian/US class action movement yet although quite a bit of engine failures stats for 2017 - 19 Fiat EcoDiesel failures per week in comparison to Cummings 2/week. Not sure where they got their stats but will look into closely. Mine is a 2015 and has even worse rep as per online reviews. Depend on my outcome with America dealer when I pick up my truck with new engine in it (so far customer service has been 100% better). As for Canadian side, I will no longer buy a car there from any dealer due to heavy monopoly, price gouging and a very poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The new 12 Inch Electronic/Radio Display System doesn't work. Unable to make hands free phone calls, or access their "Uconnect" on vehicle support service because there is high levels of static and very low volume. This $70,000 truck has been back to the dealer twice, within the first month of ownership. Both times, the dealer was unable to repair the problem. They claim they have been in touch with the RAM Techline, who instructed them to run an updated software download. They did it, but it did not repair the problem. I have now been told I have to wait, Possible as long as December for the next "new software download". Why they think that software update will work, given they said the first software update they completed was supposed to fix the problem and it didn't. In addition to the technology problems I've experienced, the optional hard bed cover leaks!!

DON'T make the same mistake I did. I owned Chevy trucks for 15 years, but decided to try a Dodge. DON'T make the same mistake I did and buy this truck. Unfortunately I'm one of those people RAM refers to in the advertising campaign by saying: "More People Are Switching To RAM". All I can say in response to that campaign slogan is "More People Are Being Disappointed With RAM!!!"

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Bought the 2105 Ram Long Horn 2015 new 52,000.00. Had 4 recalls on it, not counting this last problem which I will describe. While the vehicle was under warranty the vehicle locked up in the rear "up" position. Could not change it. Dealer finally changed out the pump motor in December of 2017. This is October of 2018 and the vehicle is doing the same thing. When the new pump was put in I was told the parts and labor were covered for 2 years. What they failed to tell me was once the original warranty expired, that pump and the labor are no longer covered. So the new pump they put in 10 months ago is now going to cost me over 2,000.00 and the truck has 34,000 miles on it.

Well, I am now going to buy a Chevy truck, and I pray my wife's 2018 Dodge Challenger holds up. Chrysler has stuck it to this customer for the last time!!! Do not buy a Dodge truck with that inferior air suspension. The 2019 Dodge Ram has a recall on the rear end before you leave the sales floor, so you are now warned about this "junk" manufacturer and their junk product!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I first purchased my 2019 Dodge Ram pickup back in April, everything went great I purchased an all black Big Horn. The whole dealership came to congratulate me on being the first to purchase. I received random thumbs up from strangers I was enjoying the truck as my daily driver, picking up the kids etc. Fast forward to my current experience with my Ram and I haven’t driven it a full week since August due to my power steering locking up at random times. The most recent time was two days ago where I couldn’t even get out the driveway nor turn the truck back into my yard without the power steering hindering my turn.

After sitting in the waiting area a total of 10 hours, driving 3 different loaner vehicles, I now feel like purchasing this truck was one of my worst experiences I’ve made. I know that many new vehicles have small things but I feel that the safety of my family and I has been at risk and the best I could get is a truck that locks back up the next day. Do better Dodge this is embarrassing.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Built Ram Tough! That's a joke. Don't take that Dodge Ram Laramie anywhere off the main highway. 20,000 miles on my 2016 Ram Laramie. I followed the GPS system off the highway on to a road, this road had water cover. This water only became worse so I turned around. Now mind you the water wasn't that deep. But through diagnoses it was somehow determined that it was "my fault" that water went in to the air intake filter, and then the motor. This ceasing up the motor. Warranty refused to cover this. Insurance claim it was. Do you think Ram would at some point stand behind their product? Ohh... No. I asked at very least they cover the $250.00 deductible. That wasn't going to happen. Customer service actually hung up on me when I asked for a supervisor!! Worst product ever!! Worst "customer service" ever!! Chrysler will never get another penny of my hard earned money. Lifelong customer gone!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I made the mistake of spending $45,000 on a brand new 2016 Dodge 2500. The day I drove it off the lot I turned around and came back and said there was a problem with the transmission. I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. 3 months later was in the shop for a repair that took two and a half weeks. Since that time it has been in the shop three additional times for the transmission. I recently asked case management that is handling the issue for me how many more times I must be inconvenience before they replace the transmission. I stated it's obviously defective and I was told, "No it's not defective because we can fix it."

They've had four times to fix this transmission and it is yet to be fixed so in essence buying inconveniences are Unlimited as far as Dodge Chrysler are concerned. This is the third Ram truck I bought and it is the last. I will never ever purchase another Chrysler product and I would dissuade anybody from ever purchased the in Chrysler product. I'm tempted to put the lemon on the truck and driving around with a sign on it that says, "What an idiot. I should have bought a Ford." And to add insult to injury I have to rent my own vehicle while they have mine in the shop. Way to go Chrysler. Never again. Biggest piece of **.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Purchased the truck brand new off the lot. We’ve had 4 recalls on it and it has barely 6,000 miles on it. Had no idea until after I purchased that they also have the lowest resale value. I found out only by trying to trade it in on another vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

2018 Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi. I have a humming sound coming from the engine bay area. Also lifters rattle like an old Ford truck I used to own. Took it in and was told it was normal. Not happy but what.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This truck is one of my favorite vehicles. I had zero problems with it and the Hemi engine is awesome. My only complaint was that it got pretty bad gas mileage, and this during 2007 and 2008 when gas was 4 something a gallon in Texas. Great truck, fair to good interior, low payload capacity, but towed a trailer well. Nice sounding and fast.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We bought the truck in May of 2016. We have had Nothing But Problems! It is currently back in the shop to have the cams and lifters replaced on the side that didn't get replaced just a few months ago! We have had electrical problems, cruise control problems, sensor problems. Thankfully we paid the 3800.00 for the extended warranty! I would strongly suggest doing your homework prior to purchasing a Dodge Ram! I will definitely NOT purchase another one!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I purchased a new 2018 RAM 2500 Limited around April of 2018 and loved the way the truck handle and performed until someone rear-ended the truck and that's where the saga began due to lack of parts (national back order) from Mopar. The truck has been in the shop going on 2 month and counting for simple things like rear shock absorbers.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Only about $16K miles my 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 3.0L engine seized. Took it to the Dodge dealer, they are blaming me for that. Telling me I put water in the air box and engine seized! They are just trying to avoid the warranty. After researching, found out I am not the only one with the same issue. I guess the oil that was used for these engine causes the engine to seized between 10 to 20K miles. I am getting an Attorney at the moment to get a lawsuit going against Chrysler. Easy win...

Dodge Ram Company Information