3.3/5 (2104 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper

About Dodge Ram

The Ram pickup is a full-size pickup truck that is marketed as the Ram Trucks brand. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Dodge Ram Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Ram?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Ram?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We purchased a 2020 Ram. Had maybe 14 miles on it. In September of 2021 the transmission went out of (Iowa). It had to fly to Iowa to pick the truck up. It had been down for 7 weeks. We put another 9000 miles on it. The drive draft falls out of it at 65 mph so it’s been sitting at Bob Allen’s in Danville KY since February 25 2022. We got email saying parts were in. This was in July. They tell me they are still waiting for more parts and may be in, in the middle of October so this truck has been down 9 months. I still have to make payments on it and we bought it for a work truck. The only thing I can say is “I should have bought a Ford.”

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Never in my life would I imagine a world where a vehicle company thinks people who buy their vehicles are slaves. Well RAM joins the list of narcissistic company leaders who own your vehicle after you buy it by not allowing you to upgrade your property. I just purchased a 2020 ram 1500 classic with my life savings. This ** company builds their base model with no allowance to upgrade the radio. The radio that has no functionality beyond am and fm. So I live in a state holding your cell phone is illegal while driving and I couldn't afford a decent truck so I purchased this and found RAM to be a totally narcissistic company like my experience with Cadillac. Their only reason is to prevent jobs in the after market industry... Really? What kind of Hitler driven cooperate obsessive narcissistic people run companies? I hope we put these people like Mike Koval Jr out of jobs for their whole life. Awful humans and I'm tired of it

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I had a 1999 and 2006 Dodge Ram, both were decent quality. I then purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7 and have had nothing but problem after problem after problem. Stay away from Ram! See list below for a short rundown of the several issues I’ve had:

1) Horrible wind noise. Took it too the dealer multiple times (at least 5) and had an auto glass company out to reseal the windshield. Every time I went the service advisor told me at the 3 day window “it’s fixed”. Every time, it wasn’t. Turns out Ram put cheap bolts on the air recirculation vent so it didn’t seal properly and outside air was rushing in.

2) UConnect is junk. Had mine replaced when it was only 2.5 years old.

3) Radiator reservoir and cap are junk. Cap kept popping off. Dealership replaced the reservoir and cap.

4) Exhaust manifold bolts snap. Broke at 50k miles and again at 110k. $1000+ fix, very intrusive work, could damage engine.

5) Trim started bubbling up and peeling off after 2-3 years.

6) Windshield washer nozzles snapped at 60k miles.

7) Transmission missing shifts, rough shifting. Dealership refused to fix it, only flashed transmission ecu and sent me on my way. Been a problem since 26k miles.

8) ABS and Traction Control lights came on at 120k miles. Turns out I need a new ABS Control Module, which is backordered 6-7 months.

9) Brake caliper clip snapped and pad started grinding against rotor.

10) XM antenna broke and won’t receive signal or link up.

11) Lower fog lights come loose and rattle as you drive, can’t tighten them.

The Ram brand is atrocious. They’ve lost my business for good. So many common problems (i.e.: manifold bolts snapping, which is where the “Hemi Tick” comes from) and the company won’t fix it. I’ve been to over 6 different dealerships and they all pull the same nonsense. If it’s a hard fix more than 3 days they tell you it’s fixed otherwise after 3 days the dealership has to pay for it. So big problems never get fixed. Oh and watch out for the sealed transmissions with the “million mile fluid”. It’s a joke. Fluid doesn’t last more than 100k miles before transmission acts us (if it doesn’t act up before then, which line did). Stay away from Ram. This business does not deserve our hard earned money if they can’t provide us with a reasonably decent quality product or service.

Original review: May 31, 2022

I purchased a 2018 Ram 1500. It was my dream truck. Well that quickly turned into a nightmare. The PCM went out. Still under warranty. The mechanic has had my truck for over 2 months. Gets a new pcm and that one is bad. Now saying he has no idea if or when he will get a new computer. They are so short no place in America has one. So now I have a paper weight that is costing me a ton of money! With no help from Dodge Ram whatsoever. Ridiculous. I will never purchase a Ram again and will tell everyone I talk to to never purchase one either. I will be trading in this truck as soon as I get it fixed if ever.

Original review: April 11, 2022

This is my third Ram pickup. I have always been very pleased with these trucks until now. The first problem was the "hemi-tap" which I first thought was a sticking valve problem. None of the usual valve treatments worked and the problem got worse. I did some research and found that the tap was the result of warping of the exhaust manifolds resulting in the the manifold bolt heads snapping off at the block. The bolts had to be drilled and the block re-tapped for a new bolt. Apparently, the manifolds are not properly cast - they are "green." In other words they are cheaply manufactured, probably in China. Moreover, if not repaired, it can cause engine damage. This cost me about $1,000 to replace two bolts, and I am just waiting for the next bolt to snap. This problem has been known to Dodge for years and they have done nothing to fix it, and have not had a recall.

The next problem is the air suspension system - an expensive "luxury add-on" which does not work in cold weather. When the system fails, and it does so with increasing frequency, the truck seems to be riding on the rubber axel stops and becomes difficult to control on an uneven surface. This is a serious safety problem which from my research has been around since at least 2013. Again, Dodge doesn't care. Today, I made arrangements to replace the air suspension system with Monroe shocks. The parts will cost about $600, but I will have to find someone to do the work at a reasonable price. I have purchased my last Dodge vehicle because Dodge obviously will not stand behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I purchased my Ram truck, new in September of 2021. Within a few months of owning it and just under 7,000 miles I started having vibration/drivability issues. My truck has been in the shop for the same issue approximately 9 times in the past year. I started a claim with Stellantis (Owns FCA) towards the beginning of December 2021 after several weeks of waiting I received an offer to buy back my defective truck.

The offer I received to buy back my truck was far from satisfactory and would leave me still owing approximately $16,000 on my loan. I was then offered a cash and keep option, $4,000 and a CDI code (employee pricing). I countered with $5,000 and the CDI code to which they accepted. However, come to find out there are no dealerships willing to honor that CDI code on inventory already in transit or currently on their lot.

I was told by multiple dealers of the RAM brand that if I wanted to use this code and receive a new truck at the employee pricing I would have to order something and wait at least 60-90 days, if not longer. I am now expected to continue driving an unsafe defective truck that the dealership has been unable to determine what is causing the issue, putting my family and I in harm's way from a potential failure.

I have been a loyal Ram/Jeep owner for the past several years and always appreciated how well the customer service was and the fact that they stood behind their brand. It is absolutely absurd to me that a company would not stand behind their brand in this case. How a company can expect a customer to continue driving and paying for a defective vehicle, take a loss on the buy back of their defective product, or accept a cash and keep option with a CDI code that cannot be immediately used to help a family get into a safe vehicle is absurd! The fact that Stellantis is okay with this vehicle remaining in service with the safety and drivability issues it has is extremely disheartening.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Dodge Ram has been my dream truck for years. I finally was in a financially sound enough situation. I could afford one, brand new, off the lot. I researched for one in my price range with most of the features I wanted within my price range. I decided on a 2022 Ram 1500 quad cab. 7 miles on it when I went to the dealership. I was so excited when they handed me those keys after I signed the papers! I drove off the lot Saturday evening, took my wife to dinner, drove the truck to work. On Sunday I started the truck and the check engine light came on. The dealership was closed on Sunday so I took it back Monday. They told me it was a cylinder 4 misfire due to an injector being stuck in the open position so they replaced it. I got the truck back Tuesday. I drove to the grocery store and home.

Wednesday, I got up and went to run an errand. I started the truck and the check engine light was on once again. I took it back to the dealership. It's now Tuesday and I haven't seen my truck since I dropped it off. I reached out to Chrysler multiple times, reached out to the dealership who said they were waiting for Chrysler, Chrysler said they were sending a tech out which they have yet to do because they were waiting to hear from the dealership. It has just been a complete disaster at this point of back and forth and I am making payments on a truck I'm not even able to drive. The customer service I've received from both ends is less than acceptable and I would not recommend purchasing a vehicle from Chrysler nor will I be doing this again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Dodge Ram - WARNING - If you have a 2019 or 2020 Dodge Ram Diesel. GET RID OF IT. Our 2019 with less than 30,000 miles has been at the dealership for 45 days now with NO RESOLUTION. We were stranded on the Interstate for two hours - IT JUST DIED AS WE WERE DOING 75MPH, - we are blessed no one was right behind us. The "warranty" that is supposed to be top rated is useless. The case managers, supervisors, do not return calls and the poor dealership service managers are left to deal with things that the "engineers" don't know how to fix.

The fuel pump recall doesn't have a fix and there is no fix for all the damage that comes when the fuel pump goes out and sends metal shavings all through injection system. Our last update after 45 days (and paying two truck notes) is that "STAR" engineers have no idea how to fix this damage. We have been without a vehicle all this time. SO IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE, GET RID OF IT BEFORE YOU ARE LEFT IN A MESS LIKE THIS!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I've been driving a 2014 Ram Crew Cab (Tradesman) for 10 months. I've done the maintenance and filled the fluids, but had to have Radiator, Cap, Hoses, 6 spark plugs, 2 ignition coils replaced. Then Starter, then Radiator cooling fan. Now the engine is "blown" after driving 12000 city miles! Something smells foul.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I own a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500. I was having transmission problems as a result of a recall on solenoid. I had it replaced 4 times. The first three times I was still under 100k miles. I had transmission rebuilt $3700. Service engine light came on again. Brought it to dealer where they replaced solenoid again. Dealer said truck needs new transmission and cost would be $7900. I asked Dodge for assistance covering parts since it was a result of recall. 2015 truck had 100k warranty and 2016 only 60k which is obviously not long enough. Dodge would not offer any assistance at all. The truck engine is not built to last long.

Dodge Ram Company Information