Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.59/5

Dodge Ram

The Ram pickup is a full-size pickup truck that is marketed as the Ram Trucks brand. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

452 Dodge Ram Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Bought brand new 2018 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4. In less than 30 days I was back at the dealership with a vibration problem in the rear. Mechanic drove it and said that was normal! About 30 days later went to accelerate to pull out from a stop sign and it was as if I blew a spark plug off. The truck was skipping severely and image of an engine appeared in the dash. Took it in the next day and they fixed it. Now here I am about another 30 days later and the transmission is not downshifting when going to pass someone! The truck sounded like a belt squealing and it started jerking back and forth trying to go into a gear but couldn't! Check engine light on. Pulled over to nearest parking lot and shifted to park. Turned truck off hoping that would reset the truck. Turned the truck back on about 15 minutes later and went to put into drive and it wouldn't move. Went to put it in reverse and it wouldn't move.

I called my husband and he suggested to call the dealership and they can send someone to pick me up; seeing as how this is a brand new truck still under factory warranty! I decided to turn truck back off and wait a little while longer. Next time I started the truck it went into gear but the engine light was still illuminated and it was as if the truck didn't hardly want to go. Drove straight to dealership and they so called fixed it. On my way home from leaving dealership the problem started again! But there are no lights in the dash now when the truck can't go into a lower gear!

I run a small business myself and don't have time to keep running back to the dealership! I highly recommend do not buy a Dodge truck! Now that I'm talking to a few people about my problems with my truck, it seems to be a common issue with Dodge and their transmissions! Someone needs to take legal action on these dealerships that rip folks off by selling them something they know is going to have serious problems! Now I'm gonna take a hard hit when I go to trade this thing in on something more dependable! Please people avoid the 2018 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4 truck by all means!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Sold my 05 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel to buy New 2016 RAM 2500 w/ turbo diesel. After having the fuel sensing unit go out at about 45,000 miles, got it fixed under warranty luckily with 150 dollars deposit. So here I am with 65000 miles, now it's the turbo actuator part. Apparently it's about 3100 dollars (American) without the warranty. So I am locked to have the dealership do the work, and of course it's backordered and I am out of my truck for going on 2 weeks (while renting a mini van to keep myself in business). All I can tell anyone, buy the dealership warranty before driving off the lot. Biggest mistake I've made ever since selling my 05 Dodge Ram inline 6. As soon as I get the truck back, I'm selling to buy another brand. I need a dependable truck.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Bought a demo Dodge Ram 2015 Longhorn Limited EcoDiesel with 2400km on it. On Thanksgiving driving on a HW with my whole family, noticed burning tire smell in cabin, and a smoke behind me. I have just done rustproofing and car was standing outside for 3 days without being used as per recommendation due to drip, but found it weird that the smoke appeared after an hour of driving, did not make sense. As I was pulling over to make sure my tires are not on fire engine shut down without a warning or any type of alarm. I was towing an empty trailer which was soaked with black engine oil and after checking the oil level, there was none in the engine.

After towing my truck back to the dealer and diagnostic (500$CAN) was told that they found metal shavings in oil pan, the main crankshaft bearing failed = metal shavings spread, build up pressure that blew rear main seal and due to engine oil loss resulted in catastrophic engine failure. Since in Canada warranty is only to 100000Km and I am at 141000Km, it will not be covered by a warranty, and service manager, after showing me the bill for repairs told me I should of bought an extended warranty (thanks **, for a reliable product that I bought from your dealership). Called Fiat and any one I could think of, seemed that the system is stacked against consumer. Estimate for repair is 19000$CAN plus 26h of labour, plus tax. (oh and they are on a 2 week backorder since they only make 20/week)

Towed my car on my own to US dealers who are currently installing my new engine (used cost 6500USD and new 9985$ USD) and labour is 23h to do the job (usually 2 business days or less to deliver new engine). In US it is 100000miles warranty and receptionist assured me that he will look into the warranty for me on his side, not holding my breath, but after dealing with all these issues and not having a car for a month, my trust in Dodge or Fiat products has been diminished.

After doing a little googling for this particular issue, a lot of info out there, bottom line there has not been a Canadian/US class action movement yet although quite a bit of engine failures stats for 2017 - 19 Fiat EcoDiesel failures per week in comparison to Cummings 2/week. Not sure where they got their stats but will look into closely. Mine is a 2015 and has even worse rep as per online reviews. Depend on my outcome with America dealer when I pick up my truck with new engine in it (so far customer service has been 100% better). As for Canadian side, I will no longer buy a car there from any dealer due to heavy monopoly, price gouging and a very poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The new 12 Inch Electronic/Radio Display System doesn't work. Unable to make hands free phone calls, or access their "Uconnect" on vehicle support service because there is high levels of static and very low volume. This $70,000 truck has been back to the dealer twice, within the first month of ownership. Both times, the dealer was unable to repair the problem. They claim they have been in touch with the RAM Techline, who instructed them to run an updated software download. They did it, but it did not repair the problem. I have now been told I have to wait, Possible as long as December for the next "new software download". Why they think that software update will work, given they said the first software update they completed was supposed to fix the problem and it didn't. In addition to the technology problems I've experienced, the optional hard bed cover leaks!!

DON'T make the same mistake I did. I owned Chevy trucks for 15 years, but decided to try a Dodge. DON'T make the same mistake I did and buy this truck. Unfortunately I'm one of those people RAM refers to in the advertising campaign by saying: "More People Are Switching To RAM". All I can say in response to that campaign slogan is "More People Are Being Disappointed With RAM!!!"

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Bought the 2105 Ram Long Horn 2015 new 52,000.00. Had 4 recalls on it, not counting this last problem which I will describe. While the vehicle was under warranty the vehicle locked up in the rear "up" position. Could not change it. Dealer finally changed out the pump motor in December of 2017. This is October of 2018 and the vehicle is doing the same thing. When the new pump was put in I was told the parts and labor were covered for 2 years. What they failed to tell me was once the original warranty expired, that pump and the labor are no longer covered. So the new pump they put in 10 months ago is now going to cost me over 2,000.00 and the truck has 34,000 miles on it.

Well, I am now going to buy a Chevy truck, and I pray my wife's 2018 Dodge Challenger holds up. Chrysler has stuck it to this customer for the last time!!! Do not buy a Dodge truck with that inferior air suspension. The 2019 Dodge Ram has a recall on the rear end before you leave the sales floor, so you are now warned about this "junk" manufacturer and their junk product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Ram?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I first purchased my 2019 Dodge Ram pickup back in April, everything went great I purchased an all black Big Horn. The whole dealership came to congratulate me on being the first to purchase. I received random thumbs up from strangers I was enjoying the truck as my daily driver, picking up the kids etc. Fast forward to my current experience with my Ram and I haven’t driven it a full week since August due to my power steering locking up at random times. The most recent time was two days ago where I couldn’t even get out the driveway nor turn the truck back into my yard without the power steering hindering my turn.

After sitting in the waiting area a total of 10 hours, driving 3 different loaner vehicles, I now feel like purchasing this truck was one of my worst experiences I’ve made. I know that many new vehicles have small things but I feel that the safety of my family and I has been at risk and the best I could get is a truck that locks back up the next day. Do better Dodge this is embarrassing.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Built Ram Tough! That's a joke. Don't take that Dodge Ram Laramie anywhere off the main highway. 20,000 miles on my 2016 Ram Laramie. I followed the GPS system off the highway on to a road, this road had water cover. This water only became worse so I turned around. Now mind you the water wasn't that deep. But through diagnoses it was somehow determined that it was "my fault" that water went in to the air intake filter, and then the motor. This ceasing up the motor. Warranty refused to cover this. Insurance claim it was. Do you think Ram would at some point stand behind their product? Ohh... No. I asked at very least they cover the $250.00 deductible. That wasn't going to happen. Customer service actually hung up on me when I asked for a supervisor!! Worst product ever!! Worst "customer service" ever!! Chrysler will never get another penny of my hard earned money. Lifelong customer gone!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I made the mistake of spending $45,000 on a brand new 2016 Dodge 2500. The day I drove it off the lot I turned around and came back and said there was a problem with the transmission. I was told I didn't know what I was talking about. 3 months later was in the shop for a repair that took two and a half weeks. Since that time it has been in the shop three additional times for the transmission. I recently asked case management that is handling the issue for me how many more times I must be inconvenience before they replace the transmission. I stated it's obviously defective and I was told, "No it's not defective because we can fix it."

They've had four times to fix this transmission and it is yet to be fixed so in essence buying inconveniences are Unlimited as far as Dodge Chrysler are concerned. This is the third Ram truck I bought and it is the last. I will never ever purchase another Chrysler product and I would dissuade anybody from ever purchased the in Chrysler product. I'm tempted to put the lemon on the truck and driving around with a sign on it that says, "What an idiot. I should have bought a Ford." And to add insult to injury I have to rent my own vehicle while they have mine in the shop. Way to go Chrysler. Never again. Biggest piece of **.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Purchased the truck brand new off the lot. We’ve had 4 recalls on it and it has barely 6,000 miles on it. Had no idea until after I purchased that they also have the lowest resale value. I found out only by trying to trade it in on another vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

2018 Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi. I have a humming sound coming from the engine bay area. Also lifters rattle like an old Ford truck I used to own. Took it in and was told it was normal. Not happy but what.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This truck is one of my favorite vehicles. I had zero problems with it and the Hemi engine is awesome. My only complaint was that it got pretty bad gas mileage, and this during 2007 and 2008 when gas was 4 something a gallon in Texas. Great truck, fair to good interior, low payload capacity, but towed a trailer well. Nice sounding and fast.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We bought the truck in May of 2016. We have had Nothing But Problems! It is currently back in the shop to have the cams and lifters replaced on the side that didn't get replaced just a few months ago! We have had electrical problems, cruise control problems, sensor problems. Thankfully we paid the 3800.00 for the extended warranty! I would strongly suggest doing your homework prior to purchasing a Dodge Ram! I will definitely NOT purchase another one!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I purchased a new 2018 RAM 2500 Limited around April of 2018 and loved the way the truck handle and performed until someone rear-ended the truck and that's where the saga began due to lack of parts (national back order) from Mopar. The truck has been in the shop going on 2 month and counting for simple things like rear shock absorbers.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Only about $16K miles my 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 3.0L engine seized. Took it to the Dodge dealer, they are blaming me for that. Telling me I put water in the air box and engine seized! They are just trying to avoid the warranty. After researching, found out I am not the only one with the same issue. I guess the oil that was used for these engine causes the engine to seized between 10 to 20K miles. I am getting an Attorney at the moment to get a lawsuit going against Chrysler. Easy win...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When we purchased our 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 it was during the promotion for the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. The stipulation was that it has to be taken to the dealer every 5 years for a check up or the warranty is voided. We took it in December 2012 and again in August 2018. We felt that since December 2018 is 6 years that we still had the warranty. We were informed by Dodge that they do not have to notify us of either an impending expiration or that we needed to return for the 5 year check up. Since it hasn't been a full 6 years after we were hoping to get the warrant reinstated, at the dealer's direction. We are having a terrible time getting a resolution from anyone at Dodge. We have purchased a total of 5 vehicles from Chrysler over the last 12 years and were hoping they would consider a long time customer.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I am very discouraged with the ordering Dodge trucks process. I ordered exactly what I wanted on/and it's now August 5th and still has not moved through the building process at the Michigan plant. WTH is going on. VIN is was assigned only a few weeks after but it's stuck in "D" status which is not even through the line yet. This is not the 4-8 weeks that I thought it was going to be. Now they are saying it could be the eTorque or the Ram boxes that is holding it up. I think this is unexceptionable. If you can choose on the main Ram truck website what you can order then why can't they build it in a timely manner?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I own a 1500 Ram Big Horn which was purchased new from Five Star Dodge Warner Robins. When I purchased the Ram I was told I was entitled to oil changes from Ram and 1 oil change from the dealership. Due to the low mileage on this vehicle I didn't need the service frequently and wasn't told by the dealership that there was a time limit in which this had to be done. Unfortunately on 7-5-18 I had service done which would have been the fourth oil service on the Ram Truck and was charged $36.13. I called consumer affairs and was told that service agreement wouldn't be honored due to the length of time and again I stated that the dealership made no statement when purchasing the Ram Truck about a time limit to the service agreement. I also purchase a 2016 Ram Truck Big Horn 4x4 from the same dealership which more mileage was put on this vehicle due to it involved being destine as a work vehicle and all oil changes were honored.

I usually buy/purchase vehicle every 4 years and have considered buying another Ram Big Horn but feel that if I am going to be penalized for not driving and taking care of my purchase and the Ram company isn't going to honor an agreement due to time then I should seek other types of truck makers. I regret that for $36.13 that a company like Ram would want to lose a valued customer. This can be easily resolved by honoring an oil change at one of your facilities with a coupon. Please understand I feel at this time that if Ram will not honor this then will Ram honor their other warranties/services. Thank you and hope to be able to continue to do business in the near future.

Original review: July 5, 2018

We are coming to you for help, on June 14, 2018 our 2018 Dodge Ram 2500 with only 8,200 miles on it broke down on our way home in SC at midnight. Leaving us and our 2 children stranded on the side of 95. Chrysler warranty only covers towing to closest Dodge dealership. This is how we ended up with our vehicle at Plaza Dodge dealership. We are getting the runaround from the service Dept (Jon) & warranty guy handling our case (Tim). They have had our vehicle for 3 weeks with no end in sight. Last week we were lied to by both Jon & Tim about what was wrong with it (saying it was the rear overrunning gear) and that parts had been ordered. On Monday this week Jon called and said that no parts have been ordered, in fact our transmission had not been taken apart or touched all last week.

On Tuesday this week Jon called my husband and said now they believe it to be a seal in the transmission and have ordered parts but it will now be next week for them to come in. He then turned around and called me and said some parts had been ordered but some were on back order and he did not know when they would come in. This truck is not only our personal truck (we tow our camper with this for our son’s travel ball tournaments) but it is also my husband's company truck (we own Marsh Lawn Care). We need it back or answers.

We only have had it since April 27. We bought it brand new from Cary Auto Mall. We called them on June 14 to see if they could help us since we had just bought it and were told “why would we help you, we are not reaping the benefits of the warranty work”. I think all Dodge Ram consumers should know how poorly the new trucks are built & how little help warranty company is in getting them back to you in a reasonable timeframe.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My husband and I purchased a 2018 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 the last week of May. BRAND NEW! Very first day brought it home, the gear became stuck in park. Would not budge. The vehicle did however get in drive the next morning to take it to the dealership, and became stuck in park again once there. The RAM company said they would send the part... ONE MONTH later the part arrived at the dealership. The truck still will not shift into any gears. Informed the customer service person at RAM and they are looking into the matter.

In the meantime, we have to pay $558.00 per month for a defective product, that was advertised as a great RELIABLE product, and we are not even in possession of at the moment. It's not the dealership's fault. They did not make the defective truck. It is the manufacturer and product supplier that created this vehicle that you cannot even drive. Very angry with Dodge that they would not even test their own products before shipping to stores. Thank you for the headache, hassle of dealing with customer service people who could care less that you are out of money on a product you do not even have or can use, and the aggravation of a family of four now down to one vehicle. Will not recommend to anyone to buy. I want them to take back their defective product and void the sale. That is it! But you have to jump through numerous hoops to get them to take back their OWN defective product!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

At 168,000 miles the bolts connecting the flexplate to the crankshaft stripped out. This ruined the crankshaft and flexplate and we are facing over $5,000 in repairs. We bought this truck (DODGE RAM 2005 3500 4X4 DIESEL DUALLY) because of the incredible reputation of the Cummins diesel and we are extremely disappointed and surprised this has happened. It was to be our lifetime truck.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We bought a Ram truck, it is the nicest vehicle we have ever owned. My husband drives it as his main vehicle, but I do drive it too. We have not had any problems with this vehicle, and it is a 2016. But we wish it got better gas mileage, but that's a dream. I do think it cost too much, it was more than our first house. That was a hard pill to swallow. I don't like black interior, this truck has cream colored seats and brown trim, it is beautiful. My husband keeps it washed and vacuumed every week.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Love Dodge Ram. Love the color and the height. Really Tall. Bigger than most vehicles on the road. The dogs and the children love it as well. I also have to fight my husband to drive it day to day. May get another one of the Rams when it is time to upgrade. A newer one would have been great. There seems to be more of them just like mine on the road no matter where I go. Also, wish I would have bought it in black. Think my daughter will try to take it from me. I also don't like the Interior. The interior should be black. Lacks upgraded equipment as well. Would like a better stereo. Lastly, hard to read the speedometer during the day.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Dodge is now my favorite over all the rest. It always started and ran good and I never had any problems with it. I liked the style and the fact that it was a diesel. I liked that it had a full back seat that my dogs could fit in comfortably. I liked the electric windows and seats and the rear window defrost was nice because my dogs tended to fog it up. I chose it because I liked the way it looked but I liked it so much that I'll get another one if I get a chance. It was very reliable and was the best truck I ever owned. I loved my truck. It was perfect to me.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have the 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie and I love it! It drives wonderfully, and I love all the bells and whistles and features it has and how smooth it drives and rides. Very comfortable for the whole family! However, I've been wanting to have a lift done eventually, and work done on muffler/exhaust to make it sound louder/rumblier. I've always disliked wood paneling and wish car makers would work away from wood paneling, it looks cheap. But I like the moon/sunroof, heated/cooling front seats, heated back seats, heated steering wheel, Bluetooth voice command Uconnect and black exterior and interior. It is extremely comfortable for both front and back seats!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had Dodge before. They are very reliable vehicles. I love their spacious interior and the custom looks of each vehicle. They have a smooth ride and my 1st vehicle lasted 9 years and I still have it. It looks and runs like new. All one needs to do is keep up with the vehicle and replace changes as needed. I love Chrysler and Dodge. They are the only brand of vehicle I've purchased and I am happy with their performance and look. Dodge brand has been in the family for years so its a well trusted brand. Family members worked in the Chrysler plants for years and years so we stay loyal to this brand.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love my truck. I've always been a Dodge person mainly because of their sleek design, roomy interior and safety features. Love the way it handles on and off the road. Mine is an extended cab and has plenty of leg room. It's a great all around truck. It's got the horsepower to get any job done and big enough for the whole family. The suspension on my year model wasn't too great but the manufacturer has really improved it in the newer models over the years.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It's great on miles and tows wonderfully. It's brilliantly awesome and stylish. The key fob is awesome. You can start the car with it and then take the key out so you can lock the car while it's running.

Original review: June 13, 2018

2004 Dodge Ram has been a good truck. Having some troubles now that it is over 150,000 miles but I have had limited work done. We love having all the space when we go to sporting events or travel out of town. We can also put our luggage on the back of the truck. And our dog loves riding on the back. However, it's not a 4 wheel drive. We like to go fishing and when it's muddy we can't go due to the fact we might get stuck.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The alternator of this 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 has gone out, the clutch but other than that it has been very good. It's mainly just normal wear and tear, especially since it's 13 years old. It was a 3500 dually 5.9L and had a gooseneck ball already in the back. Also, it must have been wrecked because the passenger door doesn't seat completely right so if it's raining it does drip a little. The center console/seat is different material than the rest of the seats. But it has plenty of room in the cab for all of us. Nice being able to haul things especially our 5th wheel.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The truck was purchased used from the second owner, so it has some issues. Overall though, it is a good truck. It has not had any major mechanical problems, only minor ones. The truck always runs, is very reliable and dependable. Also, the price was right for what we could afford at the time. It was in good shape for the year. The dash was in one piece, which is unusual for a used truck. Normally, the dashes are cracked and broken from the sun and heat. The title was clear. We ended up making a new friend as well. I like that the truck is blue plus it is a basic model. It has manual locks and windows. It is just a good work truck.

However, the heater comes on when you press the brake, so it has to be disabled during the summer. Also, before the brakes get warmed up, be careful and slowly press them or you may end up hitting your head on the steering wheel. Once they warm up, they are like normal brakes though. The windshield needs to be replaced because it is cracked as well.

Dodge Ram Company Information