2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5

The Toyota 4Runner is a mid-size SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2020

I purchased a 2019 Toyota 4Runner Limited in February of 2019. This was my first Toyota. I liked the styling of the vehicle and as far as I knew, Toyota had a great reputation... Well, I have been so disappointed. The bluetooth phone is so bad, I cannot use it. I have yet to receive or make a phone call and not have the person on the other end ask me to call them when I stop. Also, the technology is disappointing as well. I have to travel a good bit and found after my first 4-hour trip that it is terribly uncomfortable. I have asked the dealership about the bluetooth issue and they have no response - just "Hmmmm. I don't know." I will be selling this vehicle in the next few months and will not be purchasing another Toyota.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We purchased a 2004 Toyota 4 runner new in 2004. Just brought to dealer and there is a hole in frame and head gasket leaking. Only 100,000 miles on. No recalls. We are screwed. They will not help us and very expensive to fix. I will not buy another toyota.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I love my 2014 4Runner Limited with 110,000 miles, not getting more than 16.7 miles per gallon. Recently it’s been in for service every 2000 miles due to the errors “engine light on and trac off". This is the 4th time this has occurred. Steps have included: replaced spark plugs, fuel injection cleaning, changing gas to premium. Very frustrating. Dealer doesn’t know what the problem is.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My rear tailgate glass on my 2006 4Runner SR5 4X2 shattered randomly when using the defroster on 2/11/19. The Toyota warranty covering this faulty glass had been extended to 4/30/18, so Toyota was aware of a defect. I called Toyota on 2/12/19. Got a case number. I followed up on 2/13/19 and Toyota advised me they will NOT assist in this matter. The dealership quoted me $825 price (w/ tax approx) to fix window. My issue is this: if there's a defect in a part, it should be covered indefinitely.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I love my 4Runner. It is a very good vehicle, It's a 2004 113000 miles, But I am having severe issues with - cracking. Called Toyota. They said they had a recall on it but it is now over and I cannot get it fixed. I was unaware of this because I never received a recall letter. I'm just wondering how many people out there have the same problem. I think it's terrible of Toyota to have a time limit on a recall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota 4Runner?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My 2018 Toyota 4 Runner doesn't even have 5,000 miles on it yet and the driver seat cloth is already showing extreme wear. I am 5 ft 2, 100 lb woman who works in an office. My clothing is normal and don't have anything unusual on me that would cause such wear. When I asked about the warranty (Toyota) I was told it was my fault, I used something abrasive on it. The cloth on the driver's seat right in the middle appears to be balled up or snagged as if I scrubbed it hard with a rough brush and of course I did no such thing. The type of material used is either cheap, defective or a type that is inappropriate for the use of car upholstery.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

2016 Toyota 4Runner with 35k Miles. On August 7th we took our Toyota 4Runner to Auto Nation Toyota of Irvine to address noise coming from the undercarriage. Automation of Irvine diagnose and repaired the vehicle the next day. Auto Nation of Irvine said that a front left brake backing plate was bent. They bent the backing plate back to correct the position. On August 17th my girlfriend and I were driving on the 5 North passing North Bakersfield. From there, we felt a violent shake and the car lost control. We pulled over and found that the under carriage of the car was on fire and that the rear drive shaft had detached. We then had the vehicle towed to North Bakersfield Toyota. We then filed a claim with Corporate Toyota's claim department.

On October 23rd we finally received a letter from Corporate Toyota claims department stating that their parts were not defective and that they are not liable for the damage. They do not know how the rear drive shaft had detached. We have not had a car for several months. We were devout Toyota customers. We have always touted Toyota for reliability; but after this incident we feel to warn others about our experience. With Toyota's history of denying responsibility from their Prius to our incident. We clearly will no longer have any association with Toyota.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I went to my mechanic today and they saw that my frame is rusting even where my shocks are mounted. They told me that they could do it for $600.00 which I think is high. I also think Toyota should fix it for me.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My 4-Runner has been a great truck. I chose the SUV with my ex-husband. I knew Toyota had a great reputation so that's why I chose a Toyota. At the time I bought it, I thought I might have a family, so I bought a large vehicle. I didn't have a family, but the size had come in handy anyway. The car hasn't ever left me stranded. I've kept it well maintained and the car now has over 180,000 miles and still runs well. It's been helpful to have a large vehicle for moving things. It's awesome for road trips. However I would like to have leather, heated seats. I would also like to have a car that didn't have a dent on every side and rust on one side. Also, it's old. It doesn't have any technology. I would add on screen reverse, touch pedal hatchback, GPS, a decent stereo, and keyless entry.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I heard the Toyota 4Runner was the most reliable vehicle and so far it has turned out to be true. It's been a great car so far. And it rides very smoothly. I feel safe and content in this car. It does not have the same temperature control like my old car did which I loved. It does not automatically lock my doors when I'm in it too. It doesn't have the fancy car diagnosis like how my last car did but I haven't had the problems with this car that I had with my old car. And haven't had to spend hundreds on it like I did my last car.

Toyota 4Runner Company Information