4.0/5 (323 ratings)

About Toyota 4Runner

The Toyota 4Runner is a mid-size SUV. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Toyota 4Runner Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota 4Runner?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Purchased 2021 4Runner Off-Road brand new, sold it after 2 years. By far the worst vehicle I have ever driven. Acceleration is inexistent, the 5 speed transmission keeps hunting and shifting up and down, gas consumption is horrible, noisy at highway speeds. Going from 2 high to 4 high and back is problematic, when driving on a highway and hit a snowy or icy patch. At some point I thought that either there is a problem with the vehicle, or I am doing something wrong, so I took it to the service department at the dealership. Turns out that this is how all 4Runners operate. I drove other Toyota vehicles and found them reliable, but this one was a nightmare. It has good resale value, so I sold it as soon as I took possession of another vehicle, which took a long time to arrive due to the chip shortage.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Came in looking for a good deal, Junior of Toyota Universe help me out all the way to get a really good deal.. Really happy with my vehicle... 2021 Toyota 4RUNNER DRIVES very smooth and the color is just what I was looking for.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Purchase a new Toyota TRD Pro in black color in 2019. In fall of 2020 noticed the paint on the vehicle was having issues, with straight lines in it above running boards and other places. Dealership had paint person look at it a month later. In which they said it was outside sources and would not cover it with their warranty? Unreal. No answer what the outside sources was. It was a new vehicle. I had never seen paint on vehicle do this. Call customer service numerous times and was given same answer. Wrote letter to the CEO, which in turn an administrative assistant did call back. No one wanted to assist with the issue of the black paint in the 4 Runner. I got rid of this vehicle since Toyota was awful to deal with. Can not recommend them.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I purchased a 2019 Toyota 4Runner Limited in February of 2019. This was my first Toyota. I liked the styling of the vehicle and as far as I knew, Toyota had a great reputation... Well, I have been so disappointed. The bluetooth phone is so bad, I cannot use it. I have yet to receive or make a phone call and not have the person on the other end ask me to call them when I stop. Also, the technology is disappointing as well. I have to travel a good bit and found after my first 4-hour trip that it is terribly uncomfortable. I have asked the dealership about the bluetooth issue and they have no response - just "Hmmmm. I don't know." I will be selling this vehicle in the next few months and will not be purchasing another Toyota.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We purchased a 2004 Toyota 4 runner new in 2004. Just brought to dealer and there is a hole in frame and head gasket leaking. Only 100,000 miles on. No recalls. We are screwed. They will not help us and very expensive to fix. I will not buy another toyota.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I love my 2014 4Runner Limited with 110,000 miles, not getting more than 16.7 miles per gallon. Recently it’s been in for service every 2000 miles due to the errors “engine light on and trac off". This is the 4th time this has occurred. Steps have included: replaced spark plugs, fuel injection cleaning, changing gas to premium. Very frustrating. Dealer doesn’t know what the problem is.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My rear tailgate glass on my 2006 4Runner SR5 4X2 shattered randomly when using the defroster on 2/11/19. The Toyota warranty covering this faulty glass had been extended to 4/30/18, so Toyota was aware of a defect. I called Toyota on 2/12/19. Got a case number. I followed up on 2/13/19 and Toyota advised me they will NOT assist in this matter. The dealership quoted me $825 price (w/ tax approx) to fix window. My issue is this: if there's a defect in a part, it should be covered indefinitely.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I love my 4Runner. It is a very good vehicle, It's a 2004 113000 miles, But I am having severe issues with - cracking. Called Toyota. They said they had a recall on it but it is now over and I cannot get it fixed. I was unaware of this because I never received a recall letter. I'm just wondering how many people out there have the same problem. I think it's terrible of Toyota to have a time limit on a recall.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My 2018 Toyota 4 Runner doesn't even have 5,000 miles on it yet and the driver seat cloth is already showing extreme wear. I am 5 ft 2, 100 lb woman who works in an office. My clothing is normal and don't have anything unusual on me that would cause such wear. When I asked about the warranty (Toyota) I was told it was my fault, I used something abrasive on it. The cloth on the driver's seat right in the middle appears to be balled up or snagged as if I scrubbed it hard with a rough brush and of course I did no such thing. The type of material used is either cheap, defective or a type that is inappropriate for the use of car upholstery.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

2016 Toyota 4Runner with 35k Miles. On August 7th we took our Toyota 4Runner to Auto Nation Toyota of Irvine to address noise coming from the undercarriage. Automation of Irvine diagnose and repaired the vehicle the next day. Auto Nation of Irvine said that a front left brake backing plate was bent. They bent the backing plate back to correct the position. On August 17th my girlfriend and I were driving on the 5 North passing North Bakersfield. From there, we felt a violent shake and the car lost control. We pulled over and found that the under carriage of the car was on fire and that the rear drive shaft had detached. We then had the vehicle towed to North Bakersfield Toyota. We then filed a claim with Corporate Toyota's claim department.

On October 23rd we finally received a letter from Corporate Toyota claims department stating that their parts were not defective and that they are not liable for the damage. They do not know how the rear drive shaft had detached. We have not had a car for several months. We were devout Toyota customers. We have always touted Toyota for reliability; but after this incident we feel to warn others about our experience. With Toyota's history of denying responsibility from their Prius to our incident. We clearly will no longer have any association with Toyota.

Toyota 4Runner Company Information