3.93/5
Based on 45 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 25, 2018

45 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

This is the 2nd 4Runner (2016 4Runner Limited) that has had the front bumper clip snap into causing a gap between the bumper and side panel. The 4WD also does not want to disengage. There is a squeak coming from the left front wheel well when going over speed bumps. Also, the driver's side of the vehicle is 1 inch lower than the passenger. I confirmed by measuring. Toyota does not seem too concerned.

Original review: May 9, 2018

This is my second 4Runner that I have used in snow country and cross continent trips with 2 dogs. It has performance and reliability. Good looking car as well.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2018

This is my 3rd Toyota 4Runner and it's been in my possession since 2006. The only problem is the TPMS which is the real headache with this vehicle. I've placed 125,000 original miles and have replaced brakes, timing belt, water pump along with normal maintenance. But the vehicle have served me well over the last 12 years and is a good product.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought the 2013 4Runner in 2012 and have had no problems with it and have over 50,000 miles. Runs and looks good. A little difficult to get in for a 6'4", 245lb. guy but manageable.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Toyota 4Runner is a nice SUV. Right size, well built, quiet, corners good, carries enough, 18.5 mpg, and purchase price was competitive. But needs a trash bag, tranny a little sketchy sometimes, but ac works good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota 4Runner?

Original review: April 28, 2018

This was my second 4Runner and it has been terrible. I never take it off the road and I had to replace the transmission (at my expense) and the shocks and struts also had to be replaced. This is a 2011 vehicle and at the time it had just gone over 100K miles. Toyota agreed to pay for the shocks and struts but would not pay for the transmission. This experience has changed my mind about the next new vehicle. I wrote letter to Better Business and Toyota Corporate Office without any customer satisfaction.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I own a Toyota 4Runner and it is all around the most pleasing car that I have ever owned. The 4 wheel drive has the most control system for safe driving in the winter.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I bought a 2017 Toyota 4Runner limited edition from Antwerpen Toyota of Clarksville, MD in July 2017; my driver side leather seat at the lumbar support area started to discolor, so I took it in to get fixed in February, a lady at their district office said it was color transfer from my clothes and they weren't going to fix it. I called the Corporate office and explained the issue and let them know that the lady I spoke with in Maryland was extremely rude and racist and she should be reprimanded and taken out of that position. After all that they agreed to replace the back leather portion of the seat, I picked it up 2 days later but it was done very poorly and I told the service guy I don't accept it so he told me to come back on Monday as it was late on Friday and everyone went home.

I came back on Monday and was told they would take it to another installer off site. I picked my 4Runner up the next day and it looked ok; it has been 3 weeks and it is discoloring again; mind you the only clothes I wear are Lucky Brand jeans ($120.00 pants) or cotton sweat pants and my shirts are either Tommy Bahama or cotton T-shirts or sweatshirts. I have owned 4 previous vehicles with leather seats and have never had this issue. I am taking my 4RUNNER back to the dealer on Monday and see what happens; I want my seat completely replaced because this has happened twice already so what makes them think it won't happen again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Toyota 4Runner (gen3 96-02) - This is another positive review of Toyota 4Runner. I have a limited, 4WD, 3.4 V6. I have owned for the past ten years. Current mileage is around 278k. Since it is 4 wheel drive, I engage off-road monthly. Easy to work on. Cons: front rotors seem to warp rather easily. 3.4 V6 is not super powerful but suits me. Mpg is usually 18-20. Pros: reliable, quality built, everything works after 19 years. Built on truck chassis, more truck ride than cushy car ride. Built in Japan. Highly recommend this generation based upon my positive experience.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I Love the 4-Runner. Had the first Gen 1984, and the 1996. Now, I have the 2014 Limited... I have been parking in my garage for over 10 years with no problems whatsoever, driving a 2004 Nissan Murano. Sometimes sitting for days. With the addition of spouse driving a Chevy Car, and a Pacifica. This past December 30 (2017) bought a used 2014 Toyota 4 Runner. Oddly enough, before leaving the lot, the salesman came running over and said "Oh! I have to check one more thing." He reached into the glove compartment and looked into the area I now know as the Air filter. I asked him what he was doing. He told me that sometimes mice get in there and wanted to check. Very odd to me.

Over a week ago, I find mice droppings everywhere through the entire cabin area of the truck. Front seats, back seats, console, floors, and trunk. No food in the vehicle, with the exception of a plastic coffee cup, an unopened water bottle in the side door, and a pack of peppermint gum - they chewed it all - even the gum. The car has never had crumbs, nor food eaten in it... Very clean.

Baffled how they even got into the cabin of the vehicle... The truck is always closed up. I did reach into that very same air filter a few days ago, and see it chewed up and full of droppings. I am now looking to find a mechanic who will help look into all other areas... Disinfect the entire filter system, etc. and patch up some open areas. Not Toyota though; not sure I trust them. Very dangerous for anyone to be breathing this in, especially with a Low Immune System. Not to mention damage throughout.

This is very serious; there has to be something to this. No other cars in our garage have ever been affected. In reading other's accounts, there may be several openings they are able to get in. And now, I see the wiring is Soy Based? This is just too much to be a coincidence all around here. From the salesman, and never having mice at all. Did he know full well this truck had a problem? A Certified Toyota Limited... Paid quite a bit just for that title. We even bought an extended Warranty to supplement, and they won't check it out, unless pay a fee, which could add up.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I bought my 2005 4Runner brand new off the lot with 6 miles on the odometer. I did regular maintenance, i.e. oil changes, flushes, light bulb changes, etc. In 12 years I never had one issue. I was going to have to change the brake pads eventually but it made it to 115,000 miles in Arctic and wind conditions, went off-road just fine, and still purred when I started it. Moved into a truck for life purposes, but I will always miss that 4Runner.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The steel on the front bumper does not extend all the way to the ends. There is a gap on each corner of the car that has zero protection against impact. My Toyota (2014 Toyota 4Runner) was hit in one of those corners by a Honda CRV. The damage to the Honda was minimal. My Toyota had the left front tire blown. The entire frame of the engine compartment is now out of alignment. Seems like I bought a car with a sticker that said Toyota but in reality had the engineering of a Yugo automobile!

Original review: June 30, 2017

Our 2017 4Runner injector wires were chewed by mice. I own over ten different vehicles, one as old as 1971, none have ever been chewed by rodents. About $6500 in damage to the 4Runner, caused by mice. I've read that Toyota uses organic based wire coatings. Our peace of mind is gone. What is the benefit of buying a new vehicle, when the manufacturer of that vehicle knowingly uses wire coatings that are part of the food chain that rodents find as good to eat? I own since new, a 2001Toyota Tundra that sits most of the time, and has never had one wire chewed.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I bought my 2007 Toyota 4Runner New in 2008. This car has been an excellent value for the money. I have had to replace tires, brake pads, belts, the gas cap and the windshield. All normal wear and tear that is expected. It has 216,981 miles on it today. It had a tune up about 6000 miles ago just because I couldn't remember the last time or if it had ever had one, the spark plugs looked great, no discoloration. When my vehicle was newer, I was very good about getting the oil changed regularly, but later I went way too long between oil changes and filter changes. Even with my poor attention to caring for my vehicle it has still been extremely reliable and taken better care of me.

The battery died for the second time in the 9 years I have owned it, so just replaced it last week. In the past year, the volume control on the radio doesn't work quite right, it has to be turned up a little before it can be turned down... Ahhh, this is the worst thing my car has ever done! This car has taken me everywhere I wanted to go and I've never worried about getting there safely. Brakes work great, I use and abuse them with the way I drive. I have been concerned about the high miles I have on it and have been looking for a replacement vehicle. My husband is not comfortable in my car because he's very tall and legroom is cramped for him, but at 5 ft even it is the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in.

I was reading reviews on other SUVs and frankly, I'm terrified to buy anything else because nothing sounds like it has held up like my car. Gas mileage isn't great but I haven't seen much in this class with a V6 (Peppy thing that it is too) that gets great gas mileage. I love this car and I'm going to see just how many more miles I can get from her before I HAVE to buy something else... really don't want to.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I bought my 2007 V8 4Runner SR5 brand new. It has been a rewarding ownership experience. At 97,000 miles, I've had zero issues. There were two recalls but was resolved within 30 minutes wait time at the dealer. The interior has been holding exceptionally well. There are no rattles or squeaks. Buttons are not worn. It still looks like a new interior. All of the exterior trims do not show wear. Everything feels tight. The performance of the V8 has been exceptional as well as the 4WD. It drives through snow, mud, water with confidence. The only complaint is the MPG. This 4.7 liter is extremely thirsty. I've averaged 16 MPG highway, and about 13 MPG city. I highly recommend the 4Runner. The quality, reliability, durability and performance is something you won't find on other makes and models.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Very dependable vehicle. It was used mostly as our family's leisure and fun form of transportation. When we decided to buy another vehicle, the Toyota was passed on to my son instead of trading it in. He enjoys it very much and the whole family still gets use out of it. Highly recommended in performance. Very few problems with mechanical issues. Very dependable and safe. Strong engine. Handles well, even in very treacherous weather. Sporty and classy. Smooth design. Rugged but sleek. For the young and old, alike. Uniquely designed and cool. Sleek interior. Definitely a vehicle with style. Very durable. One of a kind. A vehicle for all types of terrain and climate. Dependable and secure. Would buy another one. Great investment.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

The car itself was alright. It was worth the price. I don't have it anymore but it was definitely helpful. It wasn't my favorite car in the world but it did its job. It was an okay car. Mine was just a plain red one. Nothing fancy. It was a standard design on the inside. Nothing jaw dropping. Just like any other car in the world this car was durable. It wasn't terrible. It was just fine and I liked it the way it was.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

The vehicle is just great! It has plenty of room, great features such as air a DVD player, power everything! It gets great gas mileage for an SUV. Mine has a sunroof which I love. Gas mileage is excellent. All features are easy to use. Built in GPS which comes in very handy, especially for myself because I am directionally challenged, haha! Smooth ride on city and highway so its just an all around great choice for anyone. It's a Toyota! Most are good looking cars. It's sporty and pleasant to the eye. Wheels that it came with are great, tires are good long lasting tired. Very nice looking cars. It gets around in all weather types. Mine is 4 wheel drive as I live in the Midwest and need that for the heavy snows every year. Can take it off road with ease which is one of the things I love about it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

It was a wonderful car for my family. We would pack it up and go on camping trips and had plenty of room.The gas mileage was great and saved us money. The performance was fantastic. It had a smooth feel on the long and short rides. Handled the weather where I live extremely well. Since I live where we get quite a bit of snow in the winter it handled it great. Very eye catching with the sleekness of it. The leather interior made me feel like I was driving something very upscale. I got tons of compliments on this car. This car lasted me for several years even though I put many miles on it going on several trips throughout the years with my family. I had little problems with it because I also took great care of it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

It was a very reliable vehicle. It ran wonderfully for over 10 years. I never had any problems with it. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned, such a fun ride. It drove great, good on or off road. No matter what the weather was it handled superbly. The only thing stopping me from rating it 5 stars was the gas mileage. All my friends and I loved the way the vehicle looked. It was sharp. I wish they still made that body style today. The tires were oversized which made you look tough. When you drove the vehicle you sat really high up, which made you feel on top of the road. It lasted over ten years in a wide range of climates. I gave it a ton of use. It went to college with me and was parked outdoors all the time in freezing weather, always started right up. It could take a beating.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

The vehicle was very sufficient. It rarely had problems and took me from many places for a few years. Loved it and would buy one again. The performance was great. It was very reliable and would always get me from every place with no worries.The only problem I had to repair once was the brakes and once I had to replace the battery. The other parts worked well. Changed the oil as recommended and took good care of her! Mine was very stylish on the outside and I have received many compliments on it. The inside was super nice. Luxurious and people raved about how nice it was. Good comfortable seats and plenty of space. It was very durable. Got me all over the tri-state area. No issues with the durability. Everything withstood the abuse over time as me and my children rode in it often. Highly recommended.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

My Toyota ran really well. I never had any mechanical issues with it, and I felt like it was a safe car for my children. The safety features like the side airbags made me feel like it was a good choice as a family vehicle. It also got good gas mileage and had some really nice features. The best part about my Toyota was that it held its value. I will always buy a Toyota. My Toyota was a smooth ride. It was roomy and provided plenty of passenger space. The turn radius was good and I liked the mileage. It was a dependable car that I was proud to own.

My 4Runner was very modern looking and a gorgeous blue color. I loved the interior and my moon roof. The self closing back door was so helpful when I'd come home from grocery shopping and the cargo area was enormously spacious. Toyotas last. They are built well and have very few mechanical issues. That is why Toyotas always hold their value. All I ever needed to do was regular maintenance at the dealership for basic oil filter changes.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

It has a great value. It's well wroth the money I paid. It is very dependable and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a dependable car now or in the future. The performance of the car is great. It takes off smooth and gets into traffic nice. It runs very quiet. Never a problem at all with it. Everything in the interior is nice and convenient. The appearance of it is very nice. It looks like I paid more for it than I did. I like the look of it. It looks sporty but elegant at the same time. It looks like it should be off-roading also. The durability of it is great. It can haul a lot or just be used as a family vehicle. It has rugged looking tires that are for winter or summer. It can handle a lot whatever you dish out to it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Could always count on the vehicle to get me to where I was going in a timely manner without any problems. Unlike other cars or truck I never had any major mechanical issues with mine. It was always dependable and in any kind of weather condition it didn't matter. Great vehicle for any type of weather or terrain. It is an all around dependable and trustworthy vehicle. I would recommend it to any of my family or friends. Very sporty in appearance but yet functional in use. I liked it for the fact that all parts of the vehicle served a function and it didn't have any frills to get in the way. Very durable vehicle. Have tested it myself on different terrains to see what the vehicle limits were and was very satisfied with the results of what I found out.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

It makes it very easy for me to move around quickly since I live pretty far from my work. With this car I can get there within 20 minutes. It drives great through snow, rain, and even hail. It doesn't use much gas and has no problems. It hasn't failed me once and I have had it for over a year now. It is blue with comfortable seats and enough room to fit everything I need when I go to the store. I fit right in the adjustable chairs and I'm comfortable when driving. I have gotten into one car accident and it didn't get damaged too badly. Once I took it to the repair shop, they fixed it in a few weeks. Before that it only had a few scratches.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

It got me and my family where we had to be. Also had enough room for the kids and I. I paid 1000 dollars for it. It was great on gas, I could ride for an week on one full up. No real problem with it till the motor went out. Beside that it's was great. It was dark blue with four doors. The bumper was black and so was the grill. The inside was cloth and was gray with red and blue stripes. It lasted for an decent amount of time for what I paid for it. I got five years out of a fifteen year old car, for an thousand dollars. Not bad at all.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

Easy to move larger items, enough space for all passengers, good for longer trips or towing boats, camper,etc. Decent gas mileage for a vehicle of its kind, nice ride. Runs great, nice smooth ride, better for highway driving, good pickup when accelerating. A good size, not too big but also not too small. Love the shape of the vehicle, great tires. Doesn't have too many extras, however it is spacious enough inside. So far I have not had any problems with the vehicle. Have taken it on the beach and off riding in dirt and had no problems at all. I would say it is quite durable.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

It did everything I needed it to do, but it wasn't the exact style of vehicle I was looking for. It was a decent vehicle but I wanted something smaller and in a different color. The vehicle performed as well as it should. I didn't get rid of it because it performed poorly. It just wasn't what I wanted. All the colors for it weren't very appealing. I wanted something brighter. This was my biggest issue, which is why I sold it. It was as durable as a car should be and seemed very safe and would hold up in an accident. Nothing broke in the year I had it and felt safe in it.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I love that you can buy this vehicle for a first car and it won't break your bank. It is definitely worth the money! The gas mileage is great for a starter car. The performance is very great. It's definitely more than enough for a starter car. The power behind this car makes a great show car in my opinion too! The car is a starter car therefore the car is definitely not that great looking but it's an definitely better looking than most cars. The durability of this vehicle is very great. It is very easy to fix an issue. I'd definitely recommend this car as well. This durability is one in a million.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

My family loved this car so much we were very sad the day it broke down. We loved the smooth ride each time. This vehicle is still missed by us. Performance was awesome. It handles bumpy hills and roads really well. We used to drive around the back roads in Oklahoma all the time when we visited family there. We had a red 99 4Runner that sat a family of 4 easily, granted we had an 8 and 6 year old at the time. It survived 2 moves before it broke down. It was durable. We would take it up and down bumpy roads and diet roads all the time. It survived 2 moves and 2 kids. Wish we had it now.

Toyota 4Runner Company Information