Find a Car Dealerships partner

Carmax

3.3/5 (361 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Carmax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: July 26, 2021

Carmax runs like a well oiled machine. They gave me exactly what the online offer was, always maintaining friendly and professional service. I would recommend this company for anyone. Thank you. Loved it!

Original review: July 25, 2021

In February of 2021 I purchased a Hyundai Equus Ultimate from the Sacramento location. I paid 300+ to have it shipped in from Henderson, NV. Once it arrived took possession of the vehicle and that was that. After a couple of weeks of ownership there were some things that were not adding up. The vehicle 40K miles on it but the wear and tear was not consistent with the miles on the vehicle. Dashboard coming apart, clouded headlights and buckled front wheel liners which was consistent with a front end minor collision, I did not feel comfortable keeping that car long term and exercised the 30 day return policy. For a car that cost $70,000 new and only a couple of years old things did not add up. I paid $24,000+/- cash and needed the car to be trouble free

I returned the car and saw that the Henderson, nv location had another new arrival Hyundai Equus Ultimate which was two years older but only had 34,000 miles and was in much better condition.Carmax demanded that I pay $300+ to have the new vehicle shipped into California. I made it very clear that I was not paying another $360 to have another car shipped in and I guess that we would not be doing business. Their loss. I went home and not more than a couple hours later I received a call from management asking what can be done to do a deal. I made it clear that I was not paying shipping again and that if they would pay to have the car shipped I would take a look at it once it arrived at the dealership. They agreed to ship the vehicle

Once the 2nd vehicle arrived I did the same process. I went look at the car, test drove it, loved it, and purchased it. After the 30 days this is where the headaches ramped up specifically with Carmax and the lack of customer care. After 30 days I had a list of issues that needed to be addressed. I called to make an appointment to bring my vehicle and was advised by the service advisor Albert to bring my vehicle in and have the issues addressed. I had made an extensive explanation of the issues with instructions on how to duplicate the issues.

After having the car for a week Albert had informed me that one of the issues was addressed however they had sent the car over to the Hyundai dealership and could not find anything else wrong with the vehicle or the issues that I had documented. I asked Albert if he looked at the notes that I had provided and he had no response. When I went to the dealership Albert had told me that the dealership said that there were no software updates for the vehicle or for the GPS navigation system, which after hearing this I realized that Albert had no idea or understanding of what the issues were and did not properly convey the issues to the dealership. When I went to Carmax Albert assured me that the issue would be fixed in spite of him not understanding the issue.

He advised that I take the vehicle and make an appointment to bring the vehicle back once he could get an appointment date with Hyundai to bring the vehicle in. I followed up and Albert told me to bring the vehicle in on a Friday so that he could make sure that it was at the Hyundai Dealership for a Monday morning appointment.

As instructed I brought the vehicle in on a Friday so that it could be taken to the dealership by Monday Morning. However when I had driven to CarMax on Wednesday of the following week to get some answers since the phones were not being answered I noticed that the car was still sitting in the back 40 of the customer car lot, Between two large trucks. When I expressed my concern about a black car with black leather interior sitting in the lot, with windows rolled up on a 100 degree plus day between two trucks, Albert, or Carmax had no care in the world about my concerns. Albert told me that they were short staffed so as a result they did not have anyone who could take the car to Carmax and that he was not sure of when it would go over to Hyundai. The car remained in the customer car lot for another week or two. After two weeks the car was caked with dust and dirt.

After the car finally went to the Hyundai Dealership the service manager had called me to find out specifically what the issue was with the car since Albert was not able to explain the issue due to his lack of understanding. The Hyundai Service manager took thorough notes and was able to convey the issue to the service tech.

In the beginning for the 1st month and a half every time I wanted to know what was going on with the car I would have to call Carmax and wait at a minimum for 45 minutes on hold, leave a message or sometimes get disconnected. Customer service is not a forte of Carmax for sure. After about 5 weeks I was contacted and told that Sacramento Hyundai had found an issue with the head unit which was causing the problem that had been reported and that a new head unit would need to be ordered and that once the unit was received which was expected to take a couple of weeks that the would give me a call once the work was completed.

After I had called CarMax for an update I was told that the head unit had been replaced successfully and that the issue was resolved however after replacing the head unit that Sacramento Hyundai had discovered another NEW issue. The rear backup camera had stopped working. The three other surround cameras worked but the rear camera would no longer function. I was told told that additional time would be needed to troubleshoot why the backup camera was no longer working

Two more weeks go by and I finally receive a call from Carmax and they stated that Sacramento Hyundai figured out why the rear camera was no longer working and that the car’s camera control module was bad and needed to be replaced. I was also told that in spite of the camera working before the car was brought in, there was a discussion on who was going to cover the cost of the part and labor. I was told at that time that Carmax would provide a status when there were new developments.

Another week goes by and I receive a call that the camera control module would be ordered and that Sacramento Hyundai would not be picking up the cost of the parts/labor. After another week the part had come in and the work had been done and I received a call that I could pick the car up. To sum up here is my takeaways from my experience with Carmax and it to state up front my experience was a extremely experience:

CarMax had my car for 90 days to the day. That is way too long and un-called-for It was only after CarMax had my car for two weeks that I said that I would need a loaner car. Albert never divulged that they had loaner cars available and it was only after he had told another customer that they could have a loaner car. There was no reason that I should have to make the suggestion and Albert should had made it known that I could have a loaner car.

Carmax is required to call the customer and provide updates on a regular or daily basis. This did not happen to me. Every time I needed an update I would have to call Carmax, navigate the phone menu and wait on hold for 45 minutes only to get little or no update at all. If you expect Carmax to call you with updates get over that notion because it will not happen.

If you expect Carmax to take care of your car while it is in their possession don’t get your hopes up. Regardless of what make or model of car you have it will be treated the same as the cheapest car in their service or inventory lot. If your car is in service for more than a day THEY WILL park your car in the customer lot (back 40) windows rolled up on a 100 degree day, Your car will bake and get car dents just like any car at Home Depot or Walmart.

My $70,000 car went in with no dents or imperfections and once I received it back it had two dings on opposite sides of the car. The dings were quite obvious so-much-so that Carmax tried to touch the scratches up with a paint that didn’t even match the car’s color. When I pointed this out to Jake in Service his attitude was one of I “don’t care attitude”. It was also clear that the car just backed in the sun as there was spotting on the black leather dashboard where the dash had dried in several spots. Expect scratches and dings when you take your car into Carmax. Also expect your key fob to have numerous scratches and gouges in it after your visit to CarMax. That is just what Carmax does

I had called corporate Carmax headquarters to express my concerns with Carmax having my vehicle in their service department for over 3 months. Don’t waste your time as all corporate will do is take notes and then forward the concerns to the local CarMax will go nowhere. I never got a call from the Sacramento Carmax and don’t even think about leaving a message for the service, general, or any other manager at Carmax. They absolutely will not return a call to you. And if you walk into Carmax to speak to a manager they will always make up an excuse such as the manager is not in, they're on vacation, they are sick, etc.

Customer service is non existent at Sacramento Carmax so set your expectations low at the onset at least you will be less disappointed. Sacramento CarMax has a huge customer service issue. Their employees like Albert, Jake, department managers need to be replaced or restrained because they just don’t care. Other service advisors such as Candyce were great. Although I did not receive a call on a regular basis from Candyce when she did call she relayed information in an understandable and comprehensive manner.

The only two good things that I will say about the Sacramento CarMax which is not specific to that location is: The 30 day car return option is a great policy. The 90 day warranty is a great policy. If it was not for the above two benefits I would not ever consider CarMax again there are just better options available. I certainly will not be recommending CarMax to anyone in the future.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I bought a vehicle through Carmax and they offered the MaxCare warranty (managed by Assurant) which at first sounded like a good deal.... Until I actually needed to use it! I drove my vehicle with my family in it cross country and the transmission started to malfunction, making the vehicle inoperable. I had the vehicle towed to a repair facility and obtained a rental. Maxcare covered the rental for 7 days, then began charging me on the 8th day and hit me with a bill. The rental period is outlined in their contract, fair enough. BUT, Maxcare has been giving the repair facility the runaround for 2 months (60) days now and is requiring every single maintenance record (oil changes, scheduled maintenance, etc, etc, etc) in order for them to even OPEN A CLAIM!

My family has been without this vehicle now for 60 days because Maxcare wants proof of every single oil change as well as all other maintenance performed. Additionally, and probably most importantly, the customer service is very hit and miss. The reps are working from home understandably but some should not (should not be hired to work remotely or should be required to be in an office), because Maxcare is not properly training their employees to work remotely. This is a terrible service and I cannot in good faith recommend it to another human being with a family.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I terminated my MaxCare contract as I am selling the car leaving USA back to Europe. I learned that it takes at least 2 weeks to receive the check, and probably more. Logically, I would be in Europe by then. It seems that Carmax wants you to pay for a car and MaxCare immediately, but they keep your money forever.

Original review: July 15, 2021

My experience with them has been horrible. I was told they cover the clutch by the salesman, they do not. They consider is a wearable item that is expected to go bad even though the pamphlet says, "transmission" on the front page of coverages. They don't cover fluids, bolts, belts, bearings, or the diagnosis fees of the shop that they require before covering the issue. I had to put a thousand dollars on the line in order for the technician to disassemble the transmission before CarMax would say whether or not they would do anything. They they decided to only cover half the labor and some of the parts. I still spent over $1,100 in labor and diagnosis fees to get my car repaired.

That $3,500 warranty I purchased is worthless and I will never buy a car from CarMax ever again. Oh, and they didn't have any available repair appointments for 2 months at CarMax itself even though they touted their amazing repair shop during the sales process, I was told to go to another little shop in another city that honored their warranty. That shop openly admitted that CarMax's warranties are horrible and they always have issues getting them to cover repairs. They even gave me the manager's name for the location I bought my car at and encouraged me to call in and complain about it. Very disappointed.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I cannot say enough times DON'T expect a lick of help, concern, or customer service from CARMAX if your vehicle purchase goes sour ... say for instance, if you happen to buy a car for $15,000 and put $9000 down, then in 2 years you spend MORE than that on repairs and it's still NOT running, don't expect assistance or answers from CARMAX. They will assure you if you bring the lemon car in for an appraisal, they will help you into another vehicle -- but then the appraisal on this $15,000 car you've owned for two years, will come back -- they will even meet you in the parking lot so the customers inside cant hear you scream -- when they cheerfully tell you the vehicle appraisal is ... $2000. Wow that's incredible depreciation for a car you paid $15,000 and spent $17,000 in repairs.

They will finally tenderly let you know -- or a lawyer will -- that you buy every used car "as is". If it's a lemon it's a lemon. If you got ** on this fabulous deal you made with them, even if you purchased the $5000 MAXCARE policy, you're on your own buddy. By the way even though you didn't reach 10 years or 100,000 miles, MAXCARE will stop covering their share of the repairs, because the vehicle YOU BOUGHT FROM CARMAX, has exceeded the maximum payout ... didn't even know that was part of the "deal", did ya. And when CARMAX yanks this review as soon as they see it, I will post another one and another one and another one, under a different account if I have to ... on EVERY social media I can find -- setting up emails is easy easy. I can do this TILL I DIE. The car I bought has died already and I'm still making payments...for real.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I filled out an online application. I was approved for a specific car make and model and in addition an appointment was set up to trade in my vehicle with an appointment being made. I arrive at Carmax. They have no record of my deal. I showed them the email. The approval email that they sent to my work email address and also the printed out emails for the trade-in of my vehicle. They still could not find any record of my deal even with the email verification that I printed out for them but this is why I was approved for a Land Rover for certain purchase price. But when I get there all of the sudden the vehicle is not available but they do have other land rovers that were twice as much money as the original vehicle which I was approved for. CONSUMERS STAY AWAY FROM THIS TYPE OF DECEPTION. YOUR WALLET WILL THANK YOU.

Original review: July 11, 2021

This was the first time purchasing a 2nd hand car that wasn't through an authorized dealership. What drew me to these sorts of online dealerships because their catalog is completely online, so I was able to sort out what I was interested in without the hassle of dealing with a used car salesman at a physical location. In addition, most of the online car dealerships have pretty good value propositions, like 30-day return, 90-day warranty, etc.

I did my extensive research between CarMax, Carvana, and Vroom, and although they all offer pretty much the same policies, I chose CarMax because they had more physical dealerships where you can ship the car you like to test drive before you buy the car. The cost of the car transfer is not redeemable upon purchase, but to me, that was a fair price to pay to make sure the car is without "surprises."

The car took about a week to arrive (SF to LA), and I was able to do a 24-hour test drive. This is another great value proposition most other dealerships don't have that I found useful. I was able to take it to the freeway and back to my home to see how it fits in my garage. I went back after 3 hours and bought the car. After a week my car started making noises whenever I backed up. I took it back to CarMax (the one near mine has a service center) and they fixed it in a day. Also, they provide free Lyft rides, which is convenient so you don't need to wait at the shop. Since the repair was within the 90 day warranty period, they replaced the brakes free of charge. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and will return if I ever look for another 2nd hand car. Below are some unrelated notes you may find useful:

- CarMax has an optional 5 year warranty plan.
- Only vroom cold called once you registered an account with them. All of them will call you if you did a pre-qualification with them.
- CarMax was started by Circuit City, in '93 I believe (experience).
- When you request the 24-hour test drive, sales will push you to buy and use the return policy instead. Resist if you are not sure since opening a financing account will affect your credit score.

- Check your tire PSI (mine had 40 psi in the front right and 30 in the others), motor oil, replace air filters after you buy your 2nd hand car.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Be careful with this product from CarMax. They get you when they are trying to sell. My Nissan Sentra has problems on shifting gear which is a mechanical problem. Took to the authorized mechanic as requested, and mechanic said that reprograming and cleaning all the parts would fix the issue. MaxCare says that they won't pay because it is only covered if they have to replace a part. So do not fall for “you pay 50 dollars deductible and we cover everything”.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I am very upset and I have not had a great experience with Carmax. I have been searching for a car for several weeks and finally I found a car I wanted color blue/grey which was a 2013 Mercedes Benz Sport. Now I had the car shipped to a location near me that I paid $250 for to have that one shipped to me now. I send in all my paperwork that was require before arriving to the dealership. I even received a text reminder letting me know that my appointment was scheduled for 7/8/2021.

In the middle of the night something awoke me and had me to go online to check the status of my vehicle. Once I saw the money was being shipped to a different state. I was very very very upset that I paid and apply for this vehicle to be shipped here at a location near me so when I woke up the next morning I immediately contact the salesman and he told me that yes the car is being shipped out and transferring to another state to another customer and he told me that there was nothing else that he can do for me at this point but refund my money back. I I did not like the tone it was in his voice . H seem like he didn’t even care that I paid and went through all that to have this car shipped to me. He just seem like he didn’t really care at all about me as a customer and my needs.

He told me that the hold on the car was removed mistakenly by another salesman. I don’t know how true that is but I believe that he was lying to me because when I was trying to purchase another vehicle they told me that there was a hold on the car and they couldn’t remove the hold on the car so I don’t believe that he was telling me the truth that the car was removed mistakenly. I believe that he remove that hold himself because I was trying to have the car shipped to another location that was near to me and maybe he wanted to get the credit for the car. I don’t know what it was but I believe that he did it out of spite. From this experience I would not recommend anybody to purchase a car from Carmax because the salesman is lazy and the dishonest people to me. That’s what I see in my eyes right now.

Original review: July 5, 2021

The car you see in stock photos is not the car that you got. You cannot get through to anyone on the phone. My salesman was from Ghana and we had a language barrier. This was my 2nd purchase because the 1st purchase broke down on the way home.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Absolutely horrible customer service! HORRIBLE! I worked w/ DYLAN ** in maintenance customer service in Norcross, GA. I emailed that man for 2 months EVERY Thursday w/o 1 response. ZERO! The issues I was having involved the backup camera. I took it in w/in the 7 day period after purchase and explained the issue in which I was told to get a picture or video. No biggie as it doesn't do it all the time so I got that. What I didn't get was when I did get it on video and along w/ pictures they wanted to change me the deductible from the extended warranty I purchased through CarMax Finance that I said was an issue when I bought the car. I ended up paying $65 for something that still doesn't work all the time. In order to get it fixed I had to go to the dealer and go through the CarMax warranty department.

It is absolutely ridiculous to have such CRAP customer service, DYLAN **, that you have to go through another place to get your car fixed. Needless to say this will be the last car I purchase through CarMax all thanks to DYLAN **. This is my second car through them btw. If I could give a negative star I would. Once again that was maintenance customer service rep DYLAN **.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Once the car rolls off the lot there is no follow-through or follow-up. Multiple calls requesting help obtaining duplicate title and tracking down registration renewal was very frustrating. Support is handled by very limited staff with only one person (mostly not available). Exorbitant quotes and general lack of information resulting in further delays and more fines. Used cars buyers are normally returning customers, but not for this location.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Chase Bank had Carmax payment center address wrong in their default system when setting up repeating payments. The first two ON-TIME payments to Carmax were sent to this wrong address. Proof was given to Carmax, all was paid up, Chase changed their default address. These two payments caused a reduction in my FICO score and it's now a negative point on my credit score. The supervisor at Carmax said the error is not their fault, so no courtesy will be made to reverse this negative impact. It's Chase Bank's fault, but the negative point is not in Chase's name, so there's nothing they can do. Welcome to corporate policy that allows no room for courtesy to faithful customers!

Original review: June 22, 2021

We purchased a truck from the Norcross Carmax on April 19th. To keep from having to come back the next day with a check from our credit union, the salesman had a sign up 4 the CarMax loan, and then overnight the payoff check, which our credit union did on the following day. About 45 days later, we began getting phone calls from the loan department asking us when we were going to make payment on our loan. We gave them information about the payoff repeatedly, but every week, someone else would call. Eventually they finally gave us information that we were able to piece together that the business office received our check, apparently lost it, then found it, then they told us they had sent it back to the credit union, and then they told us no they still had it but that they couldn't cash it.

We have spent hours on the phone trying to help them resolve their errors, and they cannot seem to do it. At this point it has been 2 months, and they are still calling us and saying we need to make payments. I have filed a complaint with the federal consumer finance bureau, and exploring other options 2 try to get CarMax to fix their problem.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Purchased a 2016 Mercedes 16 months ago for $ 52,000 with 14,577 miles on it, it now has 19,000 miles. Promised a owners manual and never received. Requested service right after purchase and was told no mechanic on duty. All that I just forgot about, now I have trouble with a tire and cant get the wheel off my car because they didn't give me any wheel locks. I think their professionalism is lacking. If I damage the wheels when having removed I am going to send them the bill.

Original review: June 15, 2021

BEWARE! I bought a used Subaru Forester from Carmax in Riverside and after 6 months the car completely died. The cost to fix it was almost the cost to buy and the mechanic said the problems were most likely there when I bought the car. I bought MaxCare but had to cancel it in February due to no job/Covid. I begged Hassan to extend the warranty (which I know they've done in the past for people) and they said they couldn't help me and to try Carmax Financing. I called Carmax Financing and they said the only thing I could do was ask for them to extend the Carmax Warranty. She didn't see a reason why they couldn't do that due to Covid and everything so she put me on hold and called the Riverside Carmax. She was talking to them for 20 minutes before coming back and saying they wouldn't budge. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS BUSINESS. YOU WILL REGRET IT - LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Original review: June 14, 2021

Although purchasing a car online sounds convenient and hassle free in theory it's not working for Carmax in practice. They run your credit report, give you some 'next step' info but then drop the ball and you never hear from them again. Not good when you're messing with people's credit reports. When there is an inquiry on your credit time is of the essence!! Nothing is done in a timely fashion. It's a long dragged out process and the bank expects you to get insurance on a car you never even seen nevermind don't even actually have!

The advertisement is misleading. They do not actually bring you the car like they say (and I was told). They will only bring it if it's 60 miles WITHIN YOUR STATE. And forget getting someone to help. Took me 3 attempts! Do not buy a car online unless you want to do most of the leg work and have time to waste and don't need a car right away! After all this they have a nerve to charge a transfer fee! It should've been waived along with putting a rush on getting the car to my state, but they make no compromises for your troubles and INCONVENIENCE!

Original review: June 13, 2021

I was extremely pleased with my interaction with CarMax. Received offer online for sale of my vehicle. Went to CarMax location to retrieve offer. I was very honest regarding condition of my vehicle. Even though, I was expecting to get a lower offer after car was inspected. I was very pleasantly surprised when this did not happen. They honored the full amount of the offer, no questions asked. I was on my way in under an hour with check in hand. I highly recommend CarMax.

Original review: June 2, 2021

Carmax was suppose to be a well-known place to buy cars and all you get are lies, lies and more lies. Their drop off program do not work. They don't know how to explain details of what the finance company wants, nor do they communicate with you when it's appropriate. I'm buying a car and no one calls me until afternoon. Yesterday, it was critically urgent, today, we don't care. Carmax from Irving, Texas employees are incompetent and lazy. They cannot seem to get it all together and require 4 people just to sell a car to one person. Very incompetent.

Original review: June 1, 2021

On May 3rd 2021, I used your online appraisal service and clearly notated any and all issues with my 2012 Jeep Liberty which included a FWDR warning light on the dashboard. Your appraisal was $8,000.00. Offer code 6FFVUDDG (Screenshot available). As I had already had a repair shop diagnose the issue with the warning light to be a rear wheel sensor which would cost approximately $470.00 to fix I was curious to see how much Carmax would appraise my car without the warning lights on and that appraisal was $9,000.00 (Screenshot available). My car had also have body work down on the back of the car. Once at Carmax, your mechanic looked over the car and said, "You know you have a warning light on the dashboard?" I said "Yes, I had notated that on your online form". He then said, "You know this car had body work down in the back?" I said, "Yes, I notated that as well on your online form". You then had me waiting for an hour and a half.

Finally, someone comes over and says, "I have your offer, Keep in mind the car is not worth as much because you have a warning light on the dashboard." He then said, "Also this car had body work down in the back." He shows me an offer of only $6,000.00. I said, "That's 20% lower than your online appraisal". He said, "Things are always different in person". Yes, that was an understatement, and I am sure the fact would show this difference is always in favor of Carmax and Not the customer. As I had told this same person in the beginning that I have a new car coming in 2 days I feel he used that information to Carmax's advantage. So now after waiting around for 2 hours I took reluctantly took $2,000.00 less than what your online appraisal offered me.

Original review: May 25, 2021

So I want to start off by saying that I researched CarMax, and other online car dealers 4 months before I made the decision to finally purchase. I read a lot of reviews that were very disheartening, and made me question whether or not my decision was sound. In the end I chose CarMax simply because the amount of negative reviews in recent history was much lower than those of their competitors. Finding the car on their website or in the app is fairly simple, and securing a transfer was all so simple. My transfer was free, that way I did not have to pay anything out of pocket to be able to see the vehicle that I wanted.

Once they had the vehicle it was about 6 days until I was able to view the vehicle and test drive it. During that time they again inspect the vehicle and clean the vehicle, making sure that it's ready. When I got to the dealership, my vehicle was still a little dirty, and I voiced my opinion that to the salesperson that I had and he offered to try and take care of the problem to the best of their ability. I've had the car for over a week now, and I'm very happy with my purchase from CarMax. Everything has been smooth, and the vehicle is just as promised on the website. There were a couple of digital scratches that were not pictured in the app, but they are not enough for me to be unhappy. I will keep it is updated if there happens to be any pickups, but as of right now I am definitely recommending CarMax as a place to shop and buy a used car.

Original review: May 24, 2021

Don’t buy from here! Took me 2 weeks to get the car! Picked up the car, noticed front end noise all kinds. Took to Carmax they replaced struts bolts???! Still made noise. Took it back, two new struts. Still makes noise! They said take it to Kia we can’t find anything wrong, Fred Beans says needs sway bar end links and a passenger side axle. Kia replaced it, Carmax Covered it. Picked up the Kia, dude first tried to charge me 1400$ glad Carmax paid. For in the car all kinds of lights were on, Kia claimed they didn’t see when they moved the car? Well went back in they looked at the car again, well what do you know? It needs ANOTHER Part - a speed sensor. "Go ahead and drive it. We will order it and replace." Ok, on my way home I lost power steering, all kinds of other lights came on! Left it sit in Newport.

Called the next day, had me meet them after work at the car. Was going to get me a rental. What do you know. Some more ** so no rental, no car. This is some 12000 car, huh? Anyways go to Carmax today seeing how Christina wouldn’t return a phone call, they tell me, "We can’t take the car back due to you putting ONLY 4000 on it. Keep in mind, we took this car to Mechanicsburg 10+ and back to the garage, didn’t even take it to (almost) Ohio (1 month ago). We took our older Kia because we knew it with all the noises this 12000 was making.

Okay back to the story, Christina today she can’t take it back and she wants to wait for Fred Beans to determine what’s wrong with it, she actually called Fred beans while I was standing there and he says he thinks all the lights and power steering came on, because of needing a speed sensor! Why did it let me take it home? I have two kids, imagine if something more could have happened! These people are crooks, I’ve seen so many people in at Carmax yelling at these frauds for their ** cars!! DON'T BUY A CAR from Carmax! Or take your Kia to Fred Beans!! Mechanicsburg!!!! I’ll shout it from the rooftops.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Shop at CarMax, they said. The CarMax business Sloan is " BUILT ON A FOUNDATION OF INTEGRITY", they said....It seems to me that the Carmax of Denton did not get the message. On Friday 4/30/21 I was contacted by Tiffany with the Denton Location about my pre-approved loan for a car. After giving me two choices for vehicles I picked the older model vehicle with less mileage. We finalized my financing and Alex informed me I has approval offers from Exeter and COAF. I picked Exeter and agreed to the BuyFromHome Delivery for a down payment of $850 with monthly payments of $276.70 monthly. I was told the car would be transferred from the Plano location to Denton after it was inspected.

Around 12:59 pm, after my financing was chosen I was texted and told “Okay Cindy the walkaround came back all good! You will receive an email with the tracking info when the car ships out.” I asked where I should send my proof of residence, income, and insurance. They sent me a link to upload my paperwork like Carvana. I was impressed with the efficiency at which the process was completed. At 6:18 pm I texted the number and informed the rep I would be sending the requested paperwork the next day. The texted reply was “Perfect! Once the car arrives I will have them reviewed and we can make an appointment for the home delivery.” That afternoon and the next day I got my paperwork together and shopped for insurance.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:45AM, I texted the same number to ask questions about insurance coverage. Then sent the documents in for review. The next morning 5/2/21: I received a text that my vehicle has arrived to the Denton location. That they were working on getting it ready for you and noticed you're anticipating a home delivery! They asked for bank statements showing the deposit and also sent a new link for additional income I had declared. The rep claimed once it was uploaded we can finish the approval process and then move forward to scheduling your delivery.

The information they require was private but well documented in my financial statements but this was not good enough: A rep named Matt called me about my additional income and we agreed to take it off finance application because apparently I did not need it. Matt informed me that he had to run my credit again to find out if I was approved. Of course I was approved again and (good news) I would be paying $3.00 less a month. Then things took a weird turn. Matt informed me that I would need to bring my original paystub with perforated edges or print them out of the dealership. I thought this was an odd request for a home delivery so I asked about it.

This is where the entire experience went horrifically wrong. Matt informs me that he was not aware this was a home delivery. He placed me on hold to ask some questions and then came back apologizing and stating that they could deliver the vehicle the next day. I informed him that I would prefer the delivery be made on 5/8/21 which is my only day off. Matt informed me that this might be possible but the earliest could be the following Tuesday (he seriously said that) but then he said he would have the concierge department call me that afternoon to speak with me. I shared with Matt that the whole idea of my using their BuyFromHome service was not making me feel secure or confident in the purchase of the vehicle. He told me that he would try to rectify this error of miscommunication and mishandling.

Right as I’m getting ready to work Joseph from their concierge department calls me and tells me that the delivery car they used is broken and may not be fixed till Tuesday. I’m offered the limited option of waiting for the delivery or Curbside pickup. Neither of which were convenient for me at all and their delivery vehicle breaking down is not the problem of the customer. I mentioned this to Joseph and his response was it wasn’t his problem either. He then informed me that he would have management call me the next day. I was starting to see a pattern.

The next day I received a text from Denton Carmax at 7:49 AM that said, “Good morning, this is CarMax reaching out on the Sentra you had on hold. Are you available to talk or text?” I was not available at the time but around 9:52AM texted I was available. I received no phone, no text, no voicemail, no email, no smoke signals....zilch. I received a similar message around 2:15PM to which I immediately replied I was available for 30 minutes. There was no response during that 30 minutes. In fact, I had to send a message at around 2:49 pm that I had yet to here from anyone from CarMax today and that Joseph informed me that I would be hearing from management to so far no one has followed up and the car I’m purchasing. Then suddenly, my phone rang at around 3:03pm. I was so livid because I had been misled so far.

I decided the best option as to get this over with by accepting Curbside Pickup just so I could finish this. I let Matt know that under no uncertain terms would I accept anything but the car I am purchasing and reimbursement for the Uber they offered. I figured it would be less stressful. Oh, how I wish I could say this was the case but...The day of pickup 5/8/21 is here. I have received no correspondence from the dealership at all(again).This dealership did not send me updates about the car or anything during the 3 days from the day of pickup. You could imagine my surprise when I text them at about being reimbursed for my Uber service and questions on how to pay my agreed upon down payment. The text sent said: “We will send you a Lyft. You do not have to pay for that at all, we do. As for the down payment you can use cash, debit card, certified funds or personal check.”

I was glad to hear that but then another text was sent saying: “Also we will still need to have the original document for your proof of residence. I know someone spoke with you about that on the phone. Please let me know if you have any questions.” No one from the dealership had bothered to follow up with me and I had not heard from anyone since Wednesday. After some much frustrating texting and finding out my actual lease was not acceptable but the “screenshot” of my bill was good but they “needed the original bill” I was fed up. They offered to call me while sending me a link to upload the pdf since all my billing is done paperless.

As I’m uploading my pdf to the email, Matt called me stating that the stipulations from Exeter want original information provided. He also mentioned that I only need my original copy of my energy bill and my down payment and we’re done. I asked for the corporate number because the incompetence of this entire ordeal started to seem like a bait-and-switch. Otherwise why claim in text that you can setup home delivery when you can’t? Why would you not follow up with the customer about information required for the auto financing they are approved for? Why wait for the day of pickup to create excuses and havoc? They tried to apologize but I let them know that there apologize to me would be a reprimand from their corporate office that I would be writing to.

Shortly after, I received another text for Nat ** saying: “This is Nat ** the Location General Manager at the Carmax in Denton. At this time we will only be able to correspond via telephone. If you'd like I or one of my Managers will call you but we will no longer respond via text. Thank you”. I responded by saying, If there are no further issues then we do not need to correspond via text otherwise I would suggest you make certain I am contacted immediately. I let him that I would be sending this information to corporate office.

The dealership also kept texting me that they had sent me an E-Pay Link for my down payment that I never received. Nat ** did call me while I was sharing this horrible experience with my friends and family. This man was disrespectful and did nothing to de-escalate the issue. He took no responsibility for the incompetence of his dealership, decided to speak over me as if he was annoyed and refused to stop when asked. In fact Mr. ** told me point blank he would not stop talking over me and canceled the sale without permission.

I immediately called the Irving headquarters. I spoke to Brittany who offered to help by passing me to her sales rep, ?Laurie?. Laurie told me she would call the store to see if they sold my purchase or still had it as a hold. I asked her to update me and as of now 10:00PM I have heard nothing from their location. This whole situation was disappointing and unnecessary. A complete waste of time.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Buyer and Loyal Customer Beware. Purchased my RAM from them in 2016. Sold it to them in Dec 2020 for $21K fearing I may lose my job during the pandemic. Things worked out, my truck was still available come May, and I tried to buy it back. They put $3K of work into it (I had them show me the paperwork), and told me it would be $31K to buy it back. So $24K in value, for $31K, giving them $7K in margin. I asked if we could split the difference, they said no. I even offered to pay the $31K and eat the $7K because I loved my truck so much...if they could throw in the MaxCare extended warranty. They said no, that would be another $3K. This is how they treat (former) loyal customers.

Original review: May 2, 2021

My eye opening experience >> I thought I’d give Carmax and the whole online car buying thing a try. Oh Wow!! After reserving a vehicle they send you a bunch of messages/emails saying that the car is reserved just for you! Someone will call you 10 min later. Get all your info. (I feel like it is how they build their database up. Info=money.) They spend 20 min of your valuable time asking questions then they say, "oh whoops. Looks like someone else reserved the car." (The same car that is reserved just for you?) They followed up by telling me there is a weak spot in their software system where they have to cancel your hold on the vehicle to do a transfer and in the 2 secs it takes to click the mouse someone else reserved it. Why cancel it? It’s 2021. How can you have such a flawed system? This is the same system that I assume contains all of your personal info.

Then they say, "Let me check my database to see what else we have." (Do they even have the car I reserved?) Then they offer me something twice the mileage, not the same trim package and the same price as the one half the mileage. Ok what? Why would I do that?. I admit it. They got me but never again and I hope if anything as a consumer YOU HEED THIS ADVICE and SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE. I was wary of the whole online car sales business model and now I know why as with everything on the internet there is a catch. I’m speechless. Of course this is solely my opinion though. #lifelessons

Original review: May 1, 2021

I was hesitant at first but Carmax gave me $2000 more for my trade than I was hoping for. I bought an Audi Q5 but it just wasn't me. It is a beating car. I took Carmax up on their offer of 1500 miles or 30 days to return the vehicle. I found a Mercedes-Benz SUV that I fell in love with. So, I returned the Audi. Bought the Mercedes-Benz. Then I took them up on the 3 day offer of switching financing companies. I was able to come up with the down payment that the bank wanted. Overall simply by changing my apr by approximately 4 to 5 points changed my payment by a hundred dollars. Throughout the entire process everyone was great. I would recommend this company.

Original review: April 19, 2021

Worst experience ever! Carmax Plano sold me a $34000 truck and the stereo doesn’t even work. I took the truck to the service department 2 weeks after I bought the truck. After 3 hours of waiting they confirmed that the stereo doesn’t work and said they would have to call their stereo guy to look at it. After a week I called them back and then they told me they would have to have a Ford dealership diagnose the problem with the stereo and it would take at least a week for the dealership to diagnose the issue. Do not waste your time or money buying a car from Carmax.

Original review: April 13, 2021

After some research, I decided on CARMAX for a second-hand vehicle purchase, based on reviews and their "no-haggle" policy. I paid to have a 2014 Toyota Sienna shipped to the dealer nearest my location, which is combined 1.5 hours by train and Lyft/Uber. I found their customer service very good, with excellent systems in place pre-shipment, with helpful explanations about the process. Similarly, when I went to view and test-drive the car I found the service good. On inspecting the vehicle I found that both front tires had what I considered to be excessive wear; the salesperson agreed that the service department should take a look.

During the test drive, I found the brakes spongy and less responsive than safe for a large, heavy vehicle that would be transporting my family. Again, the salesperson agreed that he would have the service department take a look and get back to me. He wrote "brakes" and "tires" on the paperwork. And then...nothing. I never heard another word from anyone at CARMAX. All the excellent systems went quiet. I can only speculate that they decided that, having had the minivan shipped to this location, close to a large market like NYC, they'd sell it to next, possibly less careful consumer. The experience made me question whether their marketing about safety checks and service is more hype than substance.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I have been here. Love the way of customer service and support. Price quite expensive but the vehicle would be detailed check & no codes before handing to customer with guaranteed.

Carmax Company Information