2. Automotive

Carmax

Carmax
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.19/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I bought a 2017 Dodge Journey from the Carmax store in Wyoming Michigan. I could not see with the headlights so I bought new ones after they refused to replace them. I went in twice to get them re-aligned. I wanted them replaced the first time I came in there. All they did was "try" to align them but nothing changed. My husband and son both witnessed the lights not moving. Had to loosen up the bolts to re-align them (service tech said I had to do that in order to re-align them). Now they won't reimburse me the money I spent while I still have the 90 day warranty. I will not go there again. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I purchased a 2015 Audi S4 from Carmax in Rockville, MD. After test driving it, my son noticed the rear windshield had some traces of glue, a scratch in the front windshield, and a missing front tag bracket. Carmax staff immediately took care of this. We dropped the car off for repairs and picked it up three days later. The car now looks like new! Great service from Carmax. The sale was smooth, and financing was very competitive.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Bought a 2016 56k miles GMC Yukon Denali XL. Driving it home got error message check the suspension. Took it to a GMC dealership for full inspection. Front and rear suspension. CarMax said bring it over so we can verify. I live an hour away, get there. They tell me I have to leave it for 4 hours. Nobody mentioned that on the phone. I can’t stay so have to leave and make another appointment. Drive back the following week. They say only the rear suspension refs to be replaced. At this time I notice the vehicle does not have a Heads Up Display, I look at my purchase paperwork and sure enough it’s listed and advertised with a Heads Up Display, about a $1800 value. They say, "Okay the manager will call you today about the missing feature and bring it back next week. We will change the suspension."

Next day front end is vibrating like a freight train and no one called me about the missing option. I take it there immediately, they do give me a loaner. They have had it now for 19 days and still have not resolved the missing feature. They replaced the rear suspension and said, "Your car is ready for pick up." I asked them about the front, they said it’s good and maybe the GMC dealership is just trying to get me to spend. I said, "Maybe they have mechanics and equipment you don’t have..." "Oh no we have everything they do..."

I call to see if it is ready for pick up and to see if they have resolved the missing feature... They tell me it’s at the GMC dealership as it needs a reset and they don’t have what GMC service department has... You can make this stuff up... I have called several times asking for a manager...they never call... They are just waiting it out... They act like they are doing you a favor fixing a car they sold you and supposedly checked out... Once they have your money you're just a number...

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

On October the second I was helping my father find a vehicle for an elderly woman who lost her husband two months ago from covid and is the mother of three grown disabled sons. We found one on CarMax that had to be transferred from Alabama to Warner Robins. I received an email telling me that it had been shipped and they would let us know as soon as we could come see it. On October the 18th after not hearing anything I called and was told the car had been in Warner Robins since the sixth and that they had text my father and received no response so the car was put back on the lot. My father is 77 years old and does not receive texts on his phone. It was too much trouble for them to pick up a phone and call.

After talking to the lady she put the car on hold and made an appointment for us to see it on Monday. We got there Monday at the time of our appointment. Waited 15 minutes for someone to wait on us then waited another twenty minutes for the girl to tell us we waited too long the car was no longer available. It was being transferred back. I think it is very sad that a company is so big that they can’t take the time to pick up a phone and call someone and say,"Hi your car is here." I will never step foot into a place like that. I don’t know why they just don’t get robots to do the job. It would save them a lot more money than the People they employ.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I found my vehicle online. Arranged for transport from Huntsville to Hoover Alabama. Secured my own financing. The dealership just needed to complete paperwork. It was a disaster. 1. TYRUS. Salesman was not responsive to calls or emails from lender, sent an unsigned bill of sale then took 2 hrs to correct his mistake. 2. We arrive to pick up car. The sales manager was new and wouldn't commit in writing that the MaxCare extended warranty includes partner service centers as the brochure and sales pitch reference and they would not reprint the condition sheet to reflect the remaining factory warranty was valid. Instead he checks the box and initials.

3. I refuse to sign a 2nd bill of sale that didn't show correct values. 4. They detailed and tried to deliver the wrong car and then took half an hour just to locate the correct one. Then I waited another half hour to finally drive off. This entire process should have been an hour tops, and I'm being generous. It took 3.5 hours!!!. Never again. I took off the Carmax tag and adhesive emblem. I refuse to advertise their brand.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

First, when you did a hard check on my credit without my permission. Second, I schedule a test drive in your Maple Shade location online, I got a VM from one of your people confirming my appt. I even called your number to inform that I'll be an hour late and to check if the vehicle that I reserved is still in your lot, which of course the person I was talking to, Allison, said that it's ok if I'm an hour late, that she'll move my appt time, and that the Kia Niro 2018 I reserved is still in your lot.

At 5pm, I got to your maple shade location, the person at the front told me I don't have an appt, that my name is not on the list. I waited for an hour!!! So when finally someone approached me to help me, his name is Bob. I told him about the disconnect that you have when it comes to scheduling appts. Bob even said, my info was not in your system, and he had to put them all in. He then got me the keys, I test drove the 2018 Kia Niro Touring. He explained everything, I got the buyer's order to present to my bank.

Then I asked to have the car delivered to my home. He tells me, "We don't do that." Like, it's on your website!!! So he asked a lady in the back, he came back to the table and explained that he is only part-timer and these were all new to him and he said to contact CEC to transfer the car to Turnersville, then from Turnersville it will be delivered to my home. So great!

After a day, I tried to transfer the car using your website and the link on my email. It was not letting me transfer. It says no longer available, but the car was reserved for me, my name, on my Carmax profile. I don't understand. So I called, I spoke with Steven. Guess what, he asked all my info again because it's not in your system. Like, this is ridiculous! Basically, I told him to ship the car to Turnersville, then have it delivered to my house. I took pictures of my ID, selfie, and check. The car was shipped to Turnersville. Then I saw on the email, schedule a test drive. Why the heck should I schedule a test drive, I already did! I called Steven, he said as soon as the car is at Turnersville, he will ask about the taxes and tags, and the car will be delivered to me. This is 4 days ago. The car is still not here. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I went to Carmax for the first time because I saw a car I really liked. Turns out they run loan checks through so many banks at once and tell you the first one is the only hard inquiry on your credit. They did 19 HARD INQUIRIES that depleted my credit score. Be careful!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Beware of transfers and make sure you follow up with them regularly or they will give your vehicle away... I found a vehicle online and it showed that it was available so I requested to put it on hold. A few hours later I received a call from a Carmax employee who walked me through the process. I had another vehicle on hold and I no longer wanted that vehicle so he removed the transfer for that vehicle (it hadn't shipped yet) and put a hold and transfer request on the new vehicle I wanted (or so I thought). I received another call that same evening where the same Carmax employee informed me that because of the Hurricane that passed through a few days prior, that store was closed (this was a Saturday) but the vehicle would remain on hold and they would contact me Monday when the store re-opened to finish the process.

Monday and Tuesday went by, no call. I called Wednesday and spoke with a young lady who pulled up the transfer and said the car was unavailable. She did some more digging and called the store where the car was located and they told her it was placed on hold...but for another customer. Allegedly, the salesperson that did it was not available at the time so she promised to get back to me to find out what happened. 2 more days go by, no one calls. I call back on Friday, speak to another individual who puts me on hold twice to go talk to his manager...and then I get disconnected.

Chalk this one up as a loss...still looking for a vehicle but so far, not a good experience with the transfer. Also, the 1st vehicle I had on hold that was supposed to have been cancelled, never got cancelled so I had to call again and tell them to cancel that. Supposedly it has been, but I have no way of knowing if they did their job or not. Make sure you follow up with them repeatedly or you will be stuck waiting for a vehicle that may never be arriving.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Really easy to find what you looking for. I will definitely recommend this website. I’m personally very happy with my experience. So you might wanna check it out. Also I already recommended to all my friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I used CarMax to help me search for a vehicle for my nephew who is heading off to college for the first time. We want to get something reliable, so we did an extensive search based on price and mileage of vehicles. The website was very helpful with this search, as we were able to spell out the perimeters that we wanted to include in the search. The website is extremely user friendly and was not difficult to navigate. I highly recommend it to others.

Carmax Company Information