Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
Carmax
1.43/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

Carmax

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

766 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My teenage son bought his first car through Carmax. They talked us into buying the extra warranty and gap. All was good until he totaled the car in August 2018, we have been fighting with the Safe-Guard gap insurance for months now. They only owed $199 for the car to be paid off. As of now December 11, 2018, it’s still not settled and his credit is a mess, he can purchase another new or used car because of this. They have gave us the runaround and finally we just said forget the gap and we paid out of pocket. Don’t waste your money with this company. Hard lesson learned.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAXCARE!! Purchased a vehicle in 2016 with 14k miles on it. Was pushed to purchase the policy for my vehicle even tho my car was under manufacture warranty. Car sales guy told me it would not take effect until after the manufacture warranty expired giving me an additional 60 months and 15k miles of coverage. THIS IS A LIE! He also told me I would be able to get a refund for the policy if I didn’t use it. I sold the vehicle in 2018 and have been working with HORRIBLE customer service giving me the runaround for 3 weeks. Still NO REFUND!! Yet, The car salesmen make a bonus as you get the policy. When you call customer services the person you speak to will only be there for one week. I’ve spoken to 4-5 different people all telling me something different. Do not purchase MAXCARE policy!! Waste of money and HORRIBLE customer service. BAD BUSINESS POLICY. DONT FALL FOR IT!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I've done all my maintenance my vehicle. "The motor is shot". I have a puddle in the cab, this is a known issue on later vehicles and has a recall (not on my 2012). Called service and they could care less, they offered nothing. I purchased my vehicle in 2015 from Stockbridge, Ga and I still have a loan on it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Sold my car to them of which I purchased from them back in March of 2017 and was told nothing needed to be done on my end in regards to the Secretary of State and that they handle everything. Turns out they do absolutely nothing. Just received parking tickets in the mail for the car I sold to them. The is still in my name and whoever the sold the car to or auctioned it to never transferred anything or put plates on the vehicle. Now I am getting the complete runaround from the Tinley Park store along with their corporate headquarters in Virginia. Every person I speak to gives me a different answer. They claim they are handling it, however every time I contact the city of which the tickets are from they have not done anything at all. To matters worse since I do not have the original title since I signed it over to them there is nothing the Secretary of State can do for me. I would strongly advise to not do business with them and save yourself the headache.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I opted to purchase a car from them and have a FICO score of 788. Carmax chose to keep me as financier at a terrible interest rate of 12.3%. I asked if they shopped me around and they said once Carmax accepts you there is no other choice. I think that this is a HORRIBLE business practice and am now wondering if they do this to all customers or specific ones. My credit union is offering a 3.75 interest rate. In closing get your own financing as CM is ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

If you're planning on trading a car at Carmax, do yourself a favor, DON'T. They will lowball you just like their name, to the "MAX". They'll point out non-existing issues, take the car and sell it for way more than twice they paid you. Sell or trade it somewhere else, you will get a LOT more $$$ for it. Now, it's true, it is up to you if you'll accept their offer but their lowballing and appraisers are two things that did it for me and to stay away from them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought a used Chevy Sonic 2014 from CarMax (8400 Anderson Boulevard Fort Worth, TX 76120). I paid $10,000 cash. Another $2,000 during the 7 mos I owned it. The first thing that happened was CarMax said they would inspect the car and have it ready. But when I drive it less than 100 miles all the lights went on. I took it to a car place and they said there were no fluids in the car. They said I should get my money back. I asked them to take the car back and CarMax said no! I don’t drive a lot. Maybe 10 miles a week unless I sometimes work which is 12 miles away.

In July of 2018 I replace the temperature gauge. I also replace the air conditioning coils. Next I replace the tire and battery. All of this in one week. In Sept I was driving to La Jolla and my check engine light went on. I went to a service place right by the red light. They said the engine was leaking and the whole engine needed replacing for $4,000. I took it to Bob Stall and they quoted me $3,000. I ended trading the Chevy in for $1,500. I only had the car 7 mos. I lost $16,000. Now I am retired, no job and $16,000 in debt because CarMax sells bad cars. Do not buy a car from CARMAX.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Car Purchase went fine, Now Car has some problem with Brakes. Service depart don't have Appointment available for next 4-5 WEEKS. They don't understand the Urgency. How safe it is to drive car with having problem with Brakes?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

On March of 2018 I purchased the 6th car from Carmax for my family in less than 5 years! Up to this point I thought the information given on previous accidents was accurate. However, I found this is not the case. The agent gave me a report stating there had been no accidents on the car. But when I went to re-sale the car 5 months later I was told the value of the car was being impacted by an accident in September of 2017. When I contacted the Carmax dealership (Raleigh NC) that sold me the car the Assistant Manager blew it off as no big deal. Apparently this happens all the time!! Please be aware they will NOT stand behind their cars when an issue arises. I’m exploring legal options at this point.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The day I drove the off the lot in Dec 2017 and saw the front glass window was cracked I reported it to Carmax and after several heated discussions they replace the windshield. This purchase was made in Dec 2017. Two weeks later all the warning lights go on. I take it to a oil change shop and they tell me there are no fluids in the car. No oil. No fluids/no fluids at all. I called the Sales manager again and said I want to return the car because it was not properly inspected. I said, "How do I know that the engine block did not crack." I said, "You sold me a car without properly inspecting it." The dealer said no. He said it was past the 7 days of return. I paid $10,000 cash for the car. I only drive 10 miles or more a week. I am retired. I financed $4,000 and paid $2,000 off during that yr. In July 2018, in one week I had to replace the temperature gauge for $400.

Three days later the car would not start; I was stranded in a bank lot. Triple A came to help me and said I needed a battery. It was late Sunday. Store was closed so I bought a battery from them for $245. The next week I paid $200 for the licensing tags at Triple A. They told me the car needed to be smog inspection. I paid but the car did not pass. So the repair place said to drive the car more and keep the gas almost full. Next the tire pressure keep needing air so I bought a new tire. In July 2018. I invested $1,000 in repairs. The air conditioning coils went out too. I took it to Bob Stalls Chevrolet and paid $600. All these repairs were cash transactions. In Sept I went on vacation. When I got back I had a Dr appt. in La Jolla. The warning light came on at a red light. There was a repair shop right at the same corner. The repair person looked at the car and said the engine coils were leaking.

It was a big job. It took 6 days and the cost was between $3,000 to $4,000. The car was a total loss. I had to trade it in on the spot. Bob Stalls gave me $1,500 on the trade and now I am in debt $16,000 for 2017 used Elantra from Bob Stalls Chevy dealer. Carmax sold me a lemon. They have bad business practices. I am forwarding this complaint to Consumers Affairs and the CA car affairs Dept. The selling the car without inspection was terrible. The car had serious defects that were not disclosed. I am 70 yrs old. I am single and I am seriously ill. I have very little income and now all my money is gone because Carmax is selling defective used cars. I did buy the warranty and just cancelled it before everything fell apart. I was sick and had mounting medical bills and I needed to cut back on all my expenses. I lost $14,000 on the car.

My storage locker where all my passions were stored was damaged and I lost almost all I owned. My best friend died in a motorcycle accident. All of this happened in one weeks time. I am lost for words. My whole life has been taken away from me. And I am trying to cope with all these things. I know what the people that lost everything The CA fires feel like but the federal gov. Plus private donations are going to help them. No one is going to help me. I have two master degrees and have worked two jobs all my life so I can retire. Now I can barely put food on the table or pay for my medicine because of Carmax.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

It appears to me that the issues people are stating do not fall under warranty, that is why warranty wasn't used. Warranty doesn't cover everything, especially wear and tear like tires for instance, or mold. Also, if you have issues with the smell from the beginning why wouldn't you ask for it to try to be fixed before you bought it. I have a CarMax Mini Cooper, 2011 and extended warranty and I'm responsible for things such as dim lights or tires, etc. I was going to buy a Volkswagen originally but I could tell a smoker had previously owned the car. They attempted to fix it and it was better but not up to my standard so I didn't buy the car.

The point also is that these are used cars so they are not in mint condition. Too many consumers expect when they buy a used car that it's going to be perfect. Well it's not. If you want a less hassle car buy one you can afford that's new. Certified just means that it meets standards to pass inspection for the most part. Tires are not brand new, brakes are not brand new so if you buy a car with 30,000 miles brakes still may meet standard to pass inspection in your state but you will most likely have to replace them around 40,000 miles. Same with tires. I've always owned new cars, this is my first used car but had realistic expectations, most people do not. I've never had issues with service either, although my 2011 Mini with now 94,000 has had only wear and tear issues that I am responsible for. Too many consumers think that stores like CarMax or other retail stores owe them something more than they do.

In my experience with others who own used cars from CarMax vs other dealerships CarMax service goes out of its way to work with the customer to the best of their ability. I do think that sometimes service can take longer than people would like or expect which can be frustrating but sometimes it's because if the issue is under factory warranty it has to go to the manufacturer dealer and CarMax has no control over how long that takes. I'm so sick of hearing people complain that their six year old used Mercedes needs to go in for service all the time. Many six year old vehicles, even if bought originally new will need service and things will start to break down. You have to judge the car based on the year and mileage of the car. Not have false expectations that because you bought a 6 year old Mercedes at CarMax or any other dealerships and it is new to you that it is actually new, because it is not.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I purchase a vehicle from Carmax Oct 2017. Two weeks ago I went to a different dealer to trade that vehicle in. They ran a Carfax showing that 2 months prior to me buying the vehicle it was reported damaged on the roof and both front fenders. I went to CarMax and they told me that they use Autocheck which is supposed to be more accurate. That is if they report to Autocheck, after emailing back and forth come to find out from their own caseworker that the vehicle had hail damage. So they fix the vehicle, never reported it to Autocheck since they didn't fix it through an insurance company and sold it as if it was never damaged. That is Fraud. So now I'm in the process of looking for a lawyer to take them to court. Don't but a vehicle from CarMax without a Carfax report, don't just take their Autocheck report, they repair vehicles and don't report it to the Autocheck since they don't use an insurance company to repair them.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Found a truck on CarMax.com in Merrillville, IN. and had it transferred to Madison, WI. Before the transfer, a walk around was done and we were told it had no scratches, dings, etc. Drove 90 miles to look at it and major scratch on the side of the truck and 3 other dings/scratches. The manager, Jeremy, was surprised they missed the scratch and since it had the potential to rust, they would send it next door to Abra body shop and have it fixed. Following weekend, made the 90 mile trip again planning to buy the truck. Scratch only slightly fixed. Jeremy said they felt that they could fix it themselves to CarMax standards. CarMax prides themselves with extra clean vehicles that meet high standards. Interior had not been wiped down and dog hair present and scratch fix unacceptable. We were lied to twice - once with the walk around and then with the body shop fix. Wasted gas, time and money. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Ok, so first of all - Reading some of these comments are TOO hilarious! Most of them are people who do not have their documents together, not understanding the website or just think they are getting a “new car”. These are ONLY USED CARS! Next, YOU ARE BUYING A CAR! You’re are not getting a combo at Burger King, clothes or some small item - it’s a car! It’s going to take some hours, depending on what you are getting done. Second, you have to get that mess out of your head that USED cars are NEVER going to have any issues. No matter what new age or small of miles, as the first owner or second owner you can NOT predict how they used and took care of that car. I love how Carmax reconditions their vehicles, upfront with the prices and they offer the Extended Warranty. I would only assume those people who don’t get the warranty has the most repair problems and paying thousands of dollars.

Don’t be those people giving the One Stars for service. Every Carmax car I have gotten has had the warranty and out of the 4 Carmax cars I have owned, I have used it on only ONE which saved me over 3,000$! And I only paid 150$ out of pocket. I mean, don’t bank on that Manufacturer Warranty because most of what they “say is covered” is NOT. And last - every time I’ve bought a car from Carmax, I needed proofs like income, residence and insurance. Yeah! Let me prove that I make the money I say I make, I live at the address I say I live at AND let me show you I have current insurance! It’s not hard! It’s not their fault you put ALL of your bills in your wife’s or husband's name, that you don’t have any bills and living rent free - I mean it’s THAT simple! Come on! Also - cars DEPRECIATE! No matter a month, 6 months or 6 years!

You WILL NOT get your money back on a car you just bought months or years ago. NEVER going to happen unless! You put down over 40-50% of the price of the car. That’s just common sense. And quick tip - to the people saying their car “was not saved on the website” you HAVE to confirm the EMAIL address you put on the hold! If not, the car is NOT saved! I mean you are grown people! Let’s read some instructions, accept the fact they sell used cars and have your stuff in order if you have to show proof of something!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The salesman in CARMAX, Merriam store had presented to me a car accident report with 0 accident i.e clean car, so as a trustful organisation, I proceeded with the purchase. Then 2 years later, I intended to change my car to get another & in the process to trade in my car with the other one, the dealership had shocked me out when he brought the real CARMAX of my car showing that it had an accident one year before I bought it, accordingly my car price dropped like a half of its value due to the above matter. My advise don't trust them & check your car history individually.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I haven't been one to write reviewers, but reading others' reviews about car dealerships just saved me (I believe) a ton of headaches in buying our newest car. CarMax was absolutely, totally wonderful.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

In early June 2018 the car was totaled. Nationwide Insurance Agency finally got a check to CarMax to pay off the vehicle in August 2018. CarMax began calling me in September 2018 stating that I was behind on my payments. I explained the situation and they stated that the check had been returned, not paid. I contacted Emily ** at Nationwide and she provided CarMax with the cleared check. CarMax contacted me again in October, stating the same thing. I said the cleared check had been sent. They said it had not, though Nationwide showed me where it had. So I contacted Nationwide again, I also asked CarMax, while this is under investigation to not report this to the credit agencies as they over and over again said it looked like an issue on their end.

Nationwide sent another cleared check and sent me a copy as well. The cleared check is quite obviously stating the bank has paid the amount in question. I had never missed a payment in 4 years. Not a single one late or short. In fact, I paid extra each payment. CarMax has since reported this, resulting in my credit dropping 77 points. It's 60 days overdue. CarMax just keeps telling me every three days that they are 'looking into it'. They have made no resolution, yet keep reporting this to the credit agencies. I had to buy another car when that one was totaled, I am not able to make extra car payments until this is settled, since Nationwide has settled it. They have paid the car, the funds left their bank and CarMax is fighting and saying the check was returned, but has no proof of this. Meanwhile, Nationwide has a CLEARED check. We have both asked CarMax to provide documentation as to the 'returned' check, they will not do so.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am not someone who enjoys the car buying experience. Most places make it way too inconvenient to the buyer and way too time consuming. I have had my share of bad experiences at dealerships. However, CarMax Austin, TX South took it to a whole new level. I was shopping for a stylish but economic vehicle to replace my aging Range Rover that consumed too much of my income filling it with gas.

I decided I would buy a Lexus CT200h. I found one at CarMax South Austin and called to get pre-approved for the purchase so I could shorten the time stuck at the dealership. I was approved but soon after the salesman calls me back to tell me he can get me an even better deal. I listened to what he had to say and knew he was doing a simple up-sale on me but I was actually going to be better off the newer car for a few thousand more. One catch was the car was not local so I had to pay to have it delivered. I paid $100.00 for the transfer of the car having already been assured everything was ready to go. All I had to do was show up, test drive and pay the downpayment and provide proof of income.

A week later I called the salesman to check on the car and he made an appointment with me to come in the next afternoon to test drive the car and most likely purchase it. I just happened to call in. I was never informed the car I had paid to be transported there had been delivered. After the test drive I decided to move forward with the car purchase. My wife was with me but since I was going to be doing the very boring process of getting the car she left to go do other things.

The salesman then hit me with a document outlining everything I needed to have for the company covering the loan. This stupid guy has had a week to give me specific details on what was required and I asked him on several phone calls and was assured I had gathered everything they would need. Part of my income is from seasonal photography work where I average $20,000 a year. That day at the CarMax dealership I was told the bank statements had to be from the last 3 months only. So now very pissed. I walked outside to call my wife to come back to pick me up from CarMax when the salesman came out and said he was just able to get me approved without the additional income.

I asked for the details and he said the interest rate would be 5% higher, I was even more pissed. Then he told me that I would also be required to have insurance for that specific car before I could take it even though I had proof of full coverage insurance and you have 72-hours to get coverage on a new car purchase. I told the salesperson and his manager I was done with them and wanted my money for the car transfer back. I will have to wait uptown 72-hours to see if the money was refunded to my debit card. These guys are unprofessional at best and have no problem wasting people's time or money. I strongly advise to do your car buying business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

CarMax does not sell used cars; they are in the business of selling you an extended warranty with a used car. I used to rave about CarMax. We have purchased cars there before and never had problems. Too good to be true though... This past May 2018, my son purchased a 2015 BMW, Series 3. The first month it had a "maintenance" problem that CarMax covered with the 30-day warranty. However, less than 3 mths later, the car's whole dashboard goes out. CarMax agrees to pay for the diagnostic service. We take it to the BMW dealership that CarMax sent us to and later find out that things are much worse. There are 3 oil leaks that have to be repaired as well as the dashboard, totaling $6,000 in repairs. It was stated by the diagnostician (the one CarMax paid for and sent us to) that service for the oil leaks should have been done, but was not. The leaks were happening long before the car was sold to us.

CarMax has refused to offer ANY help with repairs since we did not buy an extended warranty. According to the service manager, CarMax doesn't claim to sell used cars that are "on par with new cars." Well, I know this and never expected this. However, I did expect and trusted them to sell us a used car with normal wear and tear for its age. I will never buy another car from them and will happily tell my story to all that will listen. Recommendation is to go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Now I know why CarMax showroom is so luxurious, they are ripping people off. I purchased a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in January for $25,000, had problem after problem with the car, traded it back in 6 months later and they only gave me $19,000! Is that fair, no it’s not! Shame on you CarMax!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been shopping online for the past 6 months for a GMC Yukon XL at multiple websites and have visited dealerships for a test drive. I was a little reluctant when I saw a vehicle that was in my price range with the low mileage that I wanted for sale on Carmax's website because I question where they get their vehicles, reputation, return policy, etc. The vehicle was located two states away and it was a $99 shipping fee to the local dealer by my house, so I figured if I don't like it I will just eat the $99 fee. I must mention that previous to this purchase I did a lot of research, test drove multiple vehicles and made offers at local reputable dealerships, but received the run around treatment and classic used car dealer line of "our vehicles are priced aggressively to sell" with zero flexibility on their overpriced tags (overpriced both on Edmunds and KBB). To say that my patience was at an all time low would be an understatement.

So I took the chance and I had the car delivered (which took two days longer than originally told which was the only downside to my Carmax experience) and scheduled a test drive. The Yukon was fully loaded, had a clean Carfax, had less than 20k miles on it, and had a 36k mile factory warranty. It was exactly what my wife and I were looking for and the price was very fair and accurate to KBB and Edmunds pricing. After I drove the Yukon, I sat down with the dealer and told him I liked what I saw and wanted to purchase the vehicle (at sticker cost) but was going to use my own pre-approved bank financing. He said that is fine, took the bank letter I provided him and in an hour I was on my way home with the new vehicle (fully detailed). THAT WAS IT! NO HIDDEN DEALER FEES, NO TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY ANY ADDITIONAL SERVICES OR PRODUCTS, NOTHING!

He did briefly mention the Carmax warranty options but I chose not to purchase one because I'd rather utilize a certified GMC dealer warranty (which I'm shopping for now) and he did not mention it again after I told him I wasn't interested. This was hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had. No haggling, no pressure, and I was in and out (they even ordered me the DVD headsets that were missing). Traditional car dealerships need to take note of my experience, like the Carmax saying goes, "This is how car buying should be!" And I am not a Carmax employee nor do I know anyone who works there. This was just a really good hassle-free car buying experience that needs to be recognized.

I've read a lot of Carmax reviews and some were good and some were bad, but majority of the poor ones revolved around dealer service and maintenance which is an area I cannot speak on because I did not purchase their warranty. Nevertheless, when it is time for me to purchase another vehicle, I am definitely going to Carmax first.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I bought a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee about three years ago. Since it was a used vehicle with unknown history, I decided to purchase the extended warranty thru 100,000 miles. The car was good and I had little to no problems for a while. The first issue I had with the service department came when I needed something checked quickly, but they would not even look at it for a week. In other words, their business model does not include any ability to assist a customer in an emergency. However, because I had paid for the warranty, I was locked in to using their service department. I recently had a problem with a noise from something loose and called for an appointment. After waiting a week for them to check it, they said a strut part, not the entire strut had to be replaced. No problem, I thought, until they told me that it would be from Tuesday to Friday for the work to be done. So I had to get a rental.

They said they would call and keep me informed of the progress, but they did not. I called on Thursday afternoon and was told the parts had arrived and would be installed by Friday. On Friday I was told that it would not be ready until Monday at the earliest. I got a call after 4 PM Monday to say the car is ready. I picked up the car on Tuesday morning. On the return drive home, it was clear that the rattling noise was still there and was actually louder than before they "fixed it". Obviously no one test drove the car.

I took it to another repair place and the mechanic took a test drive with me and immediately identified the issue as something to do with the struts. Back in the shop he determined that the entire struts should be replaced. When that was completed, there has been no further issue with the rattling. In this case, Carmax service department was totally incompetent and either directly lied to me about when the car would be ready or was not able to deliver as promised. Either way, I will not do business with Carmax again, because of their service department. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We purchased a used Prius from Carmax Riverside. There were a couple dings on the car that made us hesitant to pay the asking price. We included fixing the minor dings on the body in the purchase agreement, and were guaranteed that the repairs were minor and that their auto body department could easily fix the dings to make the car look perfect. Their first repair significantly increased the size of the ding and Carmax did not use the correct Toyota paint color! It looked much, much worse. The second repair again used the incorrect paint. The third time Carmax used the correct Toyota paint, but again, the repair looked much worse than the initial ding.

We asked to return the car and were refused a return. Carmax stated that they promised to "try" to fix the ding and that they did the best they could. You can spot the repair from 20 feet away! I wish I could have posted pictures in this review, but I was unable to do so. DO NOT TRUST CARMAX TO FIX ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH A PURCHASED VEHICLE AS A PART OF A PURCHASE AGREEMENT. I will never deal with Carmax again! I wish I would have checked Consumer Affairs to see how badly the company is rated.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I wouldn't even give it 1 star but didn't have a choice. CARMAX HAVE MY CAR FOR 9++ WEEKS AND 3 CAR PAYMENTS WITH YET AN ETA. LOT OF LIP SERVICE! Unfortunately I did not read reviews when I was in a desperate need of a new car. Purchased a 2014 vehicle w/ 30000 miles in Jan 2017. Fortunately I also purchased the extended warranty. My car has been back 4 times re: transmission. The first couldn't find anything, 2nd time they "said" it was a recall on a sensor. Tranny was no different. Called again. The service rep told me to take it to a trannny place and pretty much leave them alone. I purchased the extended warranty. NO YOU FIX IT. Brought it back again...and this time they did FIND that it needs a new tranny at 44000 miles! Wow!

Needless to say they have had my vehicle since mid August 2018 and today is October 3 2018 AND STILL NO CAR! I Spoke to the manager of the store who called me per my request and was totally clueless! Kept asking me the questions he should have been explained to me. For example he kept asking me over and over when the ETA was? Really? That is what I want to know. Very disappointed had not reviewed file or dates and was worthless! I then reached out to customer relations in VA and got a hold of Garrett. He too was worthless! All he did was pat himself and CarMax on the back...he kept telling me "the service department contacts you every day (not true) and you have a loaner car." Really? I purchased a car that has been at Carmax now for 9 weeks and 3 car payments!

They offered to appraise it and purchase it back...right! I purchased the car to drive for the next 10+++ years NOT to sell it in 18 mos. I would be SO UPSIDE DOWN! Reached out to Garret again today, Oct 3, 2018 and he had the audacity to tell me I have no money into it...not the repairs CUZ I bought a warranty BUT I DO HAVE MONEY INTO IT!!! Garrett hung up on me so I reached out to the executive response team/Jeremy with a promise he would get back to me by the end of his shift today 7pm ET. It is NOW 8:40pm ET... HAVE YET TO HEAR FROM HIM...IMAGINE THAT!!! I also noticed an AWFUL lot of rust around all the inside metal. Flood car? ALL I CAN SAY IS NEVER EVER BUY FROM CARMAX!!! RUN RUN RUN. I'd probably buy from a private party next time.

UPDATE ON 10/06/2018: Picked up car yesterday and drove home. Went to leave just now and all I get when I turn the key is a ticking noise --> battery dead? I just bought the battery in April! STAY AWAY FROM CARMAX. NOTHING BUT LIP SERVICE! Though I did get a box of brand new Weathertec floor mats that were in my back end... Too bad they're not for my make or model. THEY ARE SO SCREWED UP. I was also promised they would do an appraisal per their suggestion. Guess what... after having for 9 weeks no appraisal!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I purchased a car from Carmax back in July 2018. Because of the "No Haggle" pricing structure the price was the price. I trusted Carmax to offer a fair price on the vehicles they sell. After only 2 months the vehicle was in a bad accident resulting in a total loss. Carmax sold me this vehicle for $2000.00 over the Clean Retail Value of the vehicle according to my insurance company. I contacted the General Manager at Carmax and he was unable to offer me any resolution to this matter. GAP coverage was not even offered by the Sales Consultant. Don't buy at Carmax - the "no haggle" pricing is not for the customers' benefit - it only benefits Carmax.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

2008 Kia Sorento disabled due to minor fire under dash. Carmax made up more issues with vehicle and I was forced to take their horrible offer due to towing issues, steer the engine transmission and many other parts of vehicle are worth more. Steer clear of Carmax...

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Bought a truck 4 months ago, they kept my license registration fee and didn’t register with the state of Calif. Even after payoff. Called over 10 times, filed complaint with the state. Kearny Mesa Carmax is the worst customer service ever.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I took my son to Carmax in Lancaster to purchase his first new car. When we arrived the lady at the counter took our name and said someone would be with us shortly. Unfortunately an hour later we still didn’t receive help even though there were a few sales associates sitting at the desk doing nothing. Decided to go down the street to a competitor and received excellent customer service. If you want horrible customer service then Carmax is the place for you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Do not trust or use the "hold" feature if you see a car that you wish to purchase. The website states that you can hold a car for up to seven days. Somehow, after placing one and calling to check on the vehicle the day that we were to purchase, another person was in the sales office purchasing the vehicle that was promised to be held for me. I asked them to stop the sale because it was guaranteed on the site, but they would not. Somehow, my hold had disappeared. I am beyond upset with this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchased my vehicle from CarMax in May of 2018. The day that I purchased it I needed to return it. There were many issues regarding no headlights working, flashers not working, wipers not working as well as instability of the rear end and electrical problems stemming from the stereo. I took the car back on numerous occasions they always told me that they could not duplicate the problem, and returned the vehicle to me. I have been locked in the vehicle in temperatures above 98゚along with my grandson. I have recorded all of these things of being locked in the car not starting, slamming into gears, airbag light going off, and finally the car had to be flat bedded back to CarMax at the end of August up 2018. They have claimed again the day could not duplicate the problems.

CarMax has had my car through one car rental and for loners, there run me out of a serious exam membership in are on my 2nd membership, only to find out that not only were the rotors bad the battery was bad the headlights were bad but now it's the transmission! I have been trying to return the car to them using their 5 day return policy and they have not yet returned the car in. Give me back my money. I have reported CarMax is well as the Jeep 2014 to the national highway safety and transportation department, I have reported the problems to Jeep Corp, as well as CarMax is corporate office.

As of today's date September 18th 2018 CarMax still has my vehicle in a shop having repairs done while I continue to make my loan payments and I am in a vehicle that is just as sub par as the vehicle I purchased. I cannot prove my allegations when I say this but these cars that they sell are coming from flood zones the bodies are straight and clean they Buffum out and pressure wash the undercarriage but if you look above what's pressure washed you will find all rust. I have found that on 4 separate vehicles!

I say buyer beware CarMax is a rip off that has mechanics that are not certified as master mechanics they of management that is not knowledgeable of anything that they speak on I strongly recommend reading all reviews from employees versus customers do not buy from CarMax if you value your ride, your safety, and your money! This company is a rip off nationwide. The big number of theirs is $17998. There are haggle free price which is usually 4 to $5000 above market value! Also the vehicles that they sell besides not functioning properly looking prop pretty they push the warranty on you. That warranty if you insist on buying a vehicle from them you're going to need that warranty that will add about 3 to $4000 on to your bill. Without doubt warranty you're going to be spending a lot of money in a very short while to clean up the mess that CarMax just sold you.

Again I say buyer beware get your own Car Fax because CarMax does not use them do your research on all vehicles that $35 you spend today may save you the headache and heartache in the fear of what lies ahead. Again I purchased my car in May of 2018 and they have had my car most of the time. It is September 2018. They again have my vehicle. The car has caused considerable damage to me as a person, my grandson. Have put fear in us. It nearly killed us and CarMax doesn't care! That is not how you run a business! As far as CarMax is concern once the sale is over it's goodbye to you! Don't buy from CarMax if you can avoid it you are better off at a corner lot it's safer cheaper and you'll have a lot less problems.

Carmax Company Information