Find a Car Dealerships partner

Carmax

3.6/5 (351 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Carmax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: July 11, 2021

This was the first time purchasing a 2nd hand car that wasn't through an authorized dealership. What drew me to these sorts of online dealerships because their catalog is completely online, so I was able to sort out what I was interested in without the hassle of dealing with a used car salesman at a physical location. In addition, most of the online car dealerships have pretty good value propositions, like 30-day return, 90-day warranty, etc.

I did my extensive research between CarMax, Carvana, and Vroom, and although they all offer pretty much the same policies, I chose CarMax because they had more physical dealerships where you can ship the car you like to test drive before you buy the car. The cost of the car transfer is not redeemable upon purchase, but to me, that was a fair price to pay to make sure the car is without "surprises."

The car took about a week to arrive (SF to LA), and I was able to do a 24-hour test drive. This is another great value proposition most other dealerships don't have that I found useful. I was able to take it to the freeway and back to my home to see how it fits in my garage. I went back after 3 hours and bought the car. After a week my car started making noises whenever I backed up. I took it back to CarMax (the one near mine has a service center) and they fixed it in a day. Also, they provide free Lyft rides, which is convenient so you don't need to wait at the shop. Since the repair was within the 90 day warranty period, they replaced the brakes free of charge. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied and will return if I ever look for another 2nd hand car. Below are some unrelated notes you may find useful:

- CarMax has an optional 5 year warranty plan.
- Only vroom cold called once you registered an account with them. All of them will call you if you did a pre-qualification with them.
- CarMax was started by Circuit City, in '93 I believe (experience).
- When you request the 24-hour test drive, sales will push you to buy and use the return policy instead. Resist if you are not sure since opening a financing account will affect your credit score.

- Check your tire PSI (mine had 40 psi in the front right and 30 in the others), motor oil, replace air filters after you buy your 2nd hand car.

Original review: May 25, 2021

So I want to start off by saying that I researched CarMax, and other online car dealers 4 months before I made the decision to finally purchase. I read a lot of reviews that were very disheartening, and made me question whether or not my decision was sound. In the end I chose CarMax simply because the amount of negative reviews in recent history was much lower than those of their competitors. Finding the car on their website or in the app is fairly simple, and securing a transfer was all so simple. My transfer was free, that way I did not have to pay anything out of pocket to be able to see the vehicle that I wanted.

Once they had the vehicle it was about 6 days until I was able to view the vehicle and test drive it. During that time they again inspect the vehicle and clean the vehicle, making sure that it's ready. When I got to the dealership, my vehicle was still a little dirty, and I voiced my opinion that to the salesperson that I had and he offered to try and take care of the problem to the best of their ability. I've had the car for over a week now, and I'm very happy with my purchase from CarMax. Everything has been smooth, and the vehicle is just as promised on the website. There were a couple of digital scratches that were not pictured in the app, but they are not enough for me to be unhappy. I will keep it is updated if there happens to be any pickups, but as of right now I am definitely recommending CarMax as a place to shop and buy a used car.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I was hesitant at first but Carmax gave me $2000 more for my trade than I was hoping for. I bought an Audi Q5 but it just wasn't me. It is a beating car. I took Carmax up on their offer of 1500 miles or 30 days to return the vehicle. I found a Mercedes-Benz SUV that I fell in love with. So, I returned the Audi. Bought the Mercedes-Benz. Then I took them up on the 3 day offer of switching financing companies. I was able to come up with the down payment that the bank wanted. Overall simply by changing my apr by approximately 4 to 5 points changed my payment by a hundred dollars. Throughout the entire process everyone was great. I would recommend this company.

Original review: April 4, 2021

We were looking to upgrade one of our current vehicles with a newer and more luxurious car. As the car we were looking to get rid of was a sedan that is what we decided to look for. Not fully understanding Carmax we let a very nice Cadillac get by us by not having it shipped to the Reno Carmax store. After researching Carmax more we spotted a Lincoln Continental in California that would be shipped to Reno for no charge and a test drive. After a paperwork glitch we were able to arrange a test drive and I really liked the car but it was a little more than I wanted to pay.

Well after attempting to get the price lowered to no no avail we decided this was the car for us and we traded our Buick in and purchased the Lincoln. Which, by the way was our first Ford product in more than 25 years. Overall we are pleased with the Car and Carmax. Will definitely look to them next time we are in the market for a car.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Travis ** is the most amazing sales person at Carmax in Dayton, Ohio! When I arrived at the Dayton CarMax Travis looked clean and professional and greeted me with a smile. I went in on a miserable cold winter evening not knowing what kind of car I wanted. Travis walked the entire HUGE lot with me, happy to let me sit in every car I asked about. He was very knowledgeable and we were quickly able to narrow my search. He's got a great memory so he helped me remember what I liked and didn't like. Over several weeks he located various vehicles for me, had them transferred, and set me up for 24 hour test drives. I am very picky and Travis had extreme patience. Travis always promptly returned my texts, phone calls, and emails. Travis always made sure the vehicles I wanted to see were clean and warmed up when I arrived for my scheduled pick up time.

When I wanted to compare a Lexus RX 350 base trim to an F Sport, Travis went above and beyond and had them both cleaned and parked side by side for me to easily compare the two trims. Travis is not the typical pushy/annoying car sales person. Travis is easy to work with and truly listens to his clients. I am delighted with my car shopping experience with Travis ** at the Car Max in Dayton, Ohio! If you are shopping for a vehicle, it's worth your drive to the Dayton, Ohio Car Max to have the pleasure of working with Travis **. -Susan C. Springboro, Ohio

Original review: July 12, 2021

I cannot say enough times DON'T expect a lick of help, concern, or customer service from CARMAX if your vehicle purchase goes sour ... say for instance, if you happen to buy a car for $15,000 and put $9000 down, then in 2 years you spend MORE than that on repairs and it's still NOT running, don't expect assistance or answers from CARMAX. They will assure you if you bring the lemon car in for an appraisal, they will help you into another vehicle -- but then the appraisal on this $15,000 car you've owned for two years, will come back -- they will even meet you in the parking lot so the customers inside cant hear you scream -- when they cheerfully tell you the vehicle appraisal is ... $2000. Wow that's incredible depreciation for a car you paid $15,000 and spent $17,000 in repairs.

They will finally tenderly let you know -- or a lawyer will -- that you buy every used car "as is". If it's a lemon it's a lemon. If you got ** on this fabulous deal you made with them, even if you purchased the $5000 MAXCARE policy, you're on your own buddy. By the way even though you didn't reach 10 years or 100,000 miles, MAXCARE will stop covering their share of the repairs, because the vehicle YOU BOUGHT FROM CARMAX, has exceeded the maximum payout ... didn't even know that was part of the "deal", did ya. And when CARMAX yanks this review as soon as they see it, I will post another one and another one and another one, under a different account if I have to ... on EVERY social media I can find -- setting up emails is easy easy. I can do this TILL I DIE. The car I bought has died already and I'm still making payments...for real.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I filled out an online application. I was approved for a specific car make and model and in addition an appointment was set up to trade in my vehicle with an appointment being made. I arrive at Carmax. They have no record of my deal. I showed them the email. The approval email that they sent to my work email address and also the printed out emails for the trade-in of my vehicle. They still could not find any record of my deal even with the email verification that I printed out for them but this is why I was approved for a Land Rover for certain purchase price. But when I get there all of the sudden the vehicle is not available but they do have other land rovers that were twice as much money as the original vehicle which I was approved for. CONSUMERS STAY AWAY FROM THIS TYPE OF DECEPTION. YOUR WALLET WILL THANK YOU.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Be careful with this product from CarMax. They get you when they are trying to sell. My Nissan Sentra has problems on shifting gear which is a mechanical problem. Took to the authorized mechanic as requested, and mechanic said that reprograming and cleaning all the parts would fix the issue. MaxCare says that they won't pay because it is only covered if they have to replace a part. So do not fall for “you pay 50 dollars deductible and we cover everything”.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I am very upset and I have not had a great experience with Carmax. I have been searching for a car for several weeks and finally I found a car I wanted color blue/grey which was a 2013 Mercedes Benz Sport. Now I had the car shipped to a location near me that I paid $250 for to have that one shipped to me now. I send in all my paperwork that was require before arriving to the dealership. I even received a text reminder letting me know that my appointment was scheduled for 7/8/2021.

In the middle of the night something awoke me and had me to go online to check the status of my vehicle. Once I saw the money was being shipped to a different state. I was very very very upset that I paid and apply for this vehicle to be shipped here at a location near me so when I woke up the next morning I immediately contact the salesman and he told me that yes the car is being shipped out and transferring to another state to another customer and he told me that there was nothing else that he can do for me at this point but refund my money back. I I did not like the tone it was in his voice . H seem like he didn’t even care that I paid and went through all that to have this car shipped to me. He just seem like he didn’t really care at all about me as a customer and my needs.

He told me that the hold on the car was removed mistakenly by another salesman. I don’t know how true that is but I believe that he was lying to me because when I was trying to purchase another vehicle they told me that there was a hold on the car and they couldn’t remove the hold on the car so I don’t believe that he was telling me the truth that the car was removed mistakenly. I believe that he remove that hold himself because I was trying to have the car shipped to another location that was near to me and maybe he wanted to get the credit for the car. I don’t know what it was but I believe that he did it out of spite. From this experience I would not recommend anybody to purchase a car from Carmax because the salesman is lazy and the dishonest people to me. That’s what I see in my eyes right now.

Original review: July 5, 2021

The car you see in stock photos is not the car that you got. You cannot get through to anyone on the phone. My salesman was from Ghana and we had a language barrier. This was my 2nd purchase because the 1st purchase broke down on the way home.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Absolutely horrible customer service! HORRIBLE! I worked w/ DYLAN ** in maintenance customer service in Norcross, GA. I emailed that man for 2 months EVERY Thursday w/o 1 response. ZERO! The issues I was having involved the backup camera. I took it in w/in the 7 day period after purchase and explained the issue in which I was told to get a picture or video. No biggie as it doesn't do it all the time so I got that. What I didn't get was when I did get it on video and along w/ pictures they wanted to change me the deductible from the extended warranty I purchased through CarMax Finance that I said was an issue when I bought the car. I ended up paying $65 for something that still doesn't work all the time. In order to get it fixed I had to go to the dealer and go through the CarMax warranty department.

It is absolutely ridiculous to have such CRAP customer service, DYLAN **, that you have to go through another place to get your car fixed. Needless to say this will be the last car I purchase through CarMax all thanks to DYLAN **. This is my second car through them btw. If I could give a negative star I would. Once again that was maintenance customer service rep DYLAN **.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Once the car rolls off the lot there is no follow-through or follow-up. Multiple calls requesting help obtaining duplicate title and tracking down registration renewal was very frustrating. Support is handled by very limited staff with only one person (mostly not available). Exorbitant quotes and general lack of information resulting in further delays and more fines. Used cars buyers are normally returning customers, but not for this location.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Chase Bank had Carmax payment center address wrong in their default system when setting up repeating payments. The first two ON-TIME payments to Carmax were sent to this wrong address. Proof was given to Carmax, all was paid up, Chase changed their default address. These two payments caused a reduction in my FICO score and it's now a negative point on my credit score. The supervisor at Carmax said the error is not their fault, so no courtesy will be made to reverse this negative impact. It's Chase Bank's fault, but the negative point is not in Chase's name, so there's nothing they can do. Welcome to corporate policy that allows no room for courtesy to faithful customers!

Original review: June 22, 2021

We purchased a truck from the Norcross Carmax on April 19th. To keep from having to come back the next day with a check from our credit union, the salesman had a sign up 4 the CarMax loan, and then overnight the payoff check, which our credit union did on the following day. About 45 days later, we began getting phone calls from the loan department asking us when we were going to make payment on our loan. We gave them information about the payoff repeatedly, but every week, someone else would call. Eventually they finally gave us information that we were able to piece together that the business office received our check, apparently lost it, then found it, then they told us they had sent it back to the credit union, and then they told us no they still had it but that they couldn't cash it.

We have spent hours on the phone trying to help them resolve their errors, and they cannot seem to do it. At this point it has been 2 months, and they are still calling us and saying we need to make payments. I have filed a complaint with the federal consumer finance bureau, and exploring other options 2 try to get CarMax to fix their problem.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Purchased a 2016 Mercedes 16 months ago for $ 52,000 with 14,577 miles on it, it now has 19,000 miles. Promised a owners manual and never received. Requested service right after purchase and was told no mechanic on duty. All that I just forgot about, now I have trouble with a tire and cant get the wheel off my car because they didn't give me any wheel locks. I think their professionalism is lacking. If I damage the wheels when having removed I am going to send them the bill.

Carmax Company Information