3.5/5 (548 ratings)

About CarMax

CarMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Dealing with Carmax in Burbank has been HELLLL!!!! They shipped a $32,000 car. When I came in for the test drive, the vehicle was scratched, not barely but deeply scratched on the back and front. When I spoke to the manager, Mike said he said, "well, it is a used car!!!" I asked for some sort of discount and was told No because it's an easy remedy. I asked if it was an easy remedy and why wasn't it fixed before my arrival. I was informed because it looks fresh. Ok, if that's the case, no one did a quality inspection? Terrible customer service! I have two additional experiences that perpetrate the disdain and lack of customer care Carmax continues to have. Avoid at all costs! My journey and experience have been the epitome of go ** yourself. The only reason I found myself trying is that I've bought my last 2 cars from Carmax, and I'm not casually browsing.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Was I ever wrong! I bought my truck with 89k miles on it. Carmax sold me a 150k mile warranty. I thought that was in addition to the 89k miles already on it. So I was a little shocked when I took my truck in and found out the engine was gone and my warranty was no good. I had 152k miles on my truck. I drove it 63k miles. I am no longer a Carmax person. I thought they were great... not anymore.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Had my 2019 Volkswagen Jetta that I bought from Carmax in Tinley Park Illinois towed to the same dealership to be serviced. I bought a battery and put it under the hood but didn't connect it. Explained there was no power and left it to be serviced. I get a call from service rep named Pria telling me my battery was in wrong. Explained to her that I never connected it. She said the battery that wasn't connected when I left the car shorted out the wipers and dash. Said I had over 100 codes pop up that needed to be fixed. I told her this wasn't true. The car was bought in cause the computer was not allowing the car to drive the way it was supposed to. So after talking to her manager I was told it would be going to Volkswagen of Orland Park to be serviced.

So today call my wife and tell her the new battery I bought was too small and shorted out several fuses and that I would have to pay 1026 dollars before they could fix it. Mind you I have a extended warranty and Volkswagen warranty and they are trying to blame me for blown fuses so as to not have to fix my car. I told them online it tells you that you have to take your car to authorized dealer to have your computer reset upon adding a new battery. Which I did. I put the old battery in my backseat and put the new one under the hood unattached. I can't believe that carmax would jerk around a customer like this. Very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I'm very dissatisfied with CarMax at this point. The only highlight of this review is that I bought an extended service plan with MaxCare. Now, I bought the car back in December 2021, and in mid-January 2022 the car started making a squealing noise and a burning oil smell inside the car. The transmission was not operating correctly. So, I took the car back to CarMax and I had to leave the car there for a week. They did give me a loaner vehicle which was uncomfortable to drive. So, I left the car in front of my house and used my wife's car. Just imagine you buy an SUV and after the first month, the SUV started squealing loudly waking up your next-door neighbors. That is an embarrassing moment on its own. Then to have to wait one week just to find out they didn't fix the issue with the squealing.

The next morning, I recorded the squealing noise again and sent the video to CarMax to Albert. I think Albert was the head of the repair shop at that time. I waited a day for him to respond. He never responded and when I called down there, they tried to give me the run around by stating Albert was busy with other customers and requested that I call back at a later time. Well a long story short, I didn't actually speak to him until three days after the video was sent. I ask him did he receive the video and view it. His response was, "Yes I did and could I bring the car back in." He stated that it wasn't making that noise when it was here. I stated to him, it was making that noise upon me picking the car up the first time after the car was supposedly being repaired. The only reason I did not bring it back in on that day was because I was due back at work. Long story short, it was the main belt that had went bad, so they replaced it.

Mind you this started happening after the first 30 days after purchase. The transmission remains to be an issue and now the burning oil smell is back as of October 2022. My advice to others is, take the car to a repair shop within the first 30 days and pay them to look over the vehicle of interest. That way you get a second opinion about your car and what you decide based on what your mechanic say. Take it from there because you still have time to return the vehicle to carmax within 30 days (I think mileage matters too. Ask the carmax salesperson to show you in writing the guidelines for returning the vehicle). I wish I would have went to the mechanic. Don't make the same mistake.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Being nearly 70 years of age it should come as no surprise that I've purchased more than a dozen cars for personal use over nearly 5 decades providing me with significant prior buying experiences. This one is the worst. I've never purchased thru Carmax previously but friends with a couple who have purchased thru Carmax twice in Atlanta, Georgia and recommended the company. So I thought I give them a chance. After browsing the online site and doing online research and driving a rental car of the same make and model I decided to take the plunge and give them a call. The car we desired is a Cadillac XT5 and Carmax has one on its lot in Ft. Lauderdale.

Carmax's online information regarding the car met our criteria. Little did I know at the time this information was a lie and the company and its employees knew it was a lie. Speaking with a lady identified as Cindi, a asked several questions regarding its condition. She informed had not incurrme that a Carmax employee would personally inspect the car for interior stains, damage and smoke or pet order. Also they would inspect the exterior for any damage and then report back to me with their findings.

An hour later I received a return call stating that an employee at the Carmax dealership in Ft. Lauderdale had personally inspected the car after my call and found no interior damage, no smells inside and no external damage. I authorized shipment to Jacksonville Florida and paid $99. I was told the car would be reinspected once it arrived and then I would receive a call to come to the dealership. I received a text from Carmax in Jacksonville that the car had been inspected post its transport and car had not been damaged in transit.

Three days later I arrived at the dealership to inspect the car. As I approached the car, from 15 feet away I immediately notice numerous spots on the car's black hood. Initially, thinking they were water spots. Looking closer, it turned out there were a dozen or spots on the hood as if someone had take a fist full of grave and standing above threw the gravel on the hood. Large chips of paint missing. The Carmax rep who walked with me up to the car, stated "We shouldn't be trying to sell this car." I refused acceptance of the car. No supervisor or manager approached me to apologize for the misrepresentation.

So to recap I was lied to about the car's condition by no less than five Carmax employees at two locations as well as their public online listing. They did not refund the $99 I paid to have the car transported. My first-hand experience with Carmax proved to me that the company is in an organized and management approved manner systematically lying to customers regarding the condition of their cars. You be the judge but for me and my family we are done with Carmax.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

Purchased a car the beginning of August. Against my better judgement I agreed to use their "deal" where you sign up for their financing and then find your own and switch to that. I called my bank up gave them what information they needed and they took care of the rest. Over two months later I start receiving calls from the finance department saying my payment is late. I find out that the agreement they made with my bank required them to change the title and send it to my bank before they would send the check.

It took over 72 days for them to perform this title work and now they're placing a negative remark on my credit for refusing to pay on their finance agreement which was invalidated when they signed the agreement with my bank. Now I will have to go through the process to dispute the remark and potentially continue having to deal with their finance department for a car that is not even being financed by them. Do not use CarMax period. A company that is willing to do this to a customer is not one that deserves business.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I have traded a car & bought a car, which was not up to my expectation so I paid for another car to be shipped within Florida, salesman said 3 days, well it's 7th day now, they never called when I called they were very fuzzy about even letting me test drive the car, spoke with Sales Manager "Orlando" who refused to give his full name, completely refused to give me updates, time frame and disconnected my call twice. At this point all I want is to get my 1st car back and take my business somewhere else, Carmax at Fort lauderdale provides pathetic service, be careful dealing with them.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

After we went through the painstaking process of filling out a credit application in order to move forward with the process, we then paid a deposit to secure the car and have it transferred to our local store. We waited patiently for a whole week for the car to arrive, but never heard a word, no call, no email, nothing. I called to inquire, got a "uh-oh" then placed on hold, then was disconnected TWICE. No one tried to call me back, even though they had my name and number pulled up. They wanted to pass the buck and let someone else deal with my issue. Finally, on my third call, and after begging not to be placed on hold, I was informed that "I" had cancelled this order. I DID NOT CANCEL THIS ORDER.

As it turned out, the order had been cancelled the very next day, and I've been missing out on good deals for a whole week, all the while CARMAX is holding on to my money, and probably with ZERO intent of ever reaching out to me. Oh, and by the way, THEY confirmed that THEY cancelled the order. Now someone else has already taken the car that we had made a deal and put ink to paper. What a DISGUSTING car sales practice. They won't change, because they don't have to, but I hope someone else can read this and save their hard earned money and time. Buy from someone else, not a business that will cancel your order to flip the car for a higher price behind your back. It was easy to figure out, as the car is still listed online at another location for a higher price than I had agreed to. Confirmed this by a VIN search. DISPICABLE.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

The Hulu ad makes zero sense. And it is super annoying. I now hate a song that I once loved and you turned me off from ever considering CarMax. If you got gold everywhere why even use CarMax. Plus we both know that after financing and such the renter takes a hit making you the only one that would deal with them. And it's not going to be a full refund. You're taking mileage and such out of the original price. So again they stuck with you. It's such a shame and that song is a dead giveaway along with that stupid ad.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I bought my car 3 months ago. The brakes are squealing BAD. There is also a light out in the back. I paid $3000 extra so I have MaxCare deal on my car for three years. They won't cover fixing the issues.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

CarMax refuses to refund my $250 Reserve vehicle payment. First part of August 2022, I paid a $250 prepayment fee to reserve a car and have it transferred from Wichita to Memphis for purchase. The Rep repeatedly stated that my $250 deposit would 'Reserve' and transport the vehicle. I was emailed an online link and I completed paperwork, including all my contact info, home landline phone, cellphone, email, etc. Via email, I was provided confirmation of my successful completion which stated vehicle would be ready for my inspection by Sept. 1. I received multiple emails referencing delivery, financing, trade-in, etc. However, I never received any communication via email, voicemail, caller ID'd phone calls, or ID'd texts stating vehicle had arrived and available for pickup.

During the final week of Aug., I repeatedly phoned Carmax and was told multiple stories, including, vehicle was still in transit, it had been sold, it had arrived and was being prepped, etc. Finally on Aug 31 it was determined vehicle had already been sold to another buyer. I called the local Memphis Carmax office (area 901) and was told I was speaking to rep in Memphis. I later discovered all phone numbers go to a national switchboard and you could be talking to be anyone in the world. Through my multiple calls during the month, I discovered you cannot reach anyone in the local office. I repeatedly requested local contact information, valid local phone numbers, manager names, anything... But representatives would never provide any of this information. Via phone, there is no way to speak with anyone at the local branch.

I left countless messages to have someone call me back through the course of the month, never received a single call back. No one ever made any effort to resolve my issues with my reserved vehicle, explain why my reserved vehicle was sold before the tentative arrival date or to offer a refund of my credit card charge. I work in a sound restricted TV studio that must remain quiet. I get 50 spam and robo calls a day. Phone must remain on silent and I cannot answer immediately. I cannot return calls unless caller leaves voicemail and/or message or at least is identified thru caller ID.

Over the course of the month, no voicemails were ever left by CarMax on my cellphone or home landline phone. No messages were ever left on home phone which I check thoroughly, or on cellphone voicemail. All calls and texts made from CarMax are made from an unidentified caller or identified as spam. With the vast quantity of unidentified spam and robocalls and text I receive I cannot possibly spend hours returning and I did invite calls messages texts, automated recordings Etc.

I have an 800+ credit score and have done business with CarMax multiple times over the last 30 years. I refuse to be cheated, ignored, and treated like an annoyance. Carmax's new business model has ruined all purpose and advantage of doing any business with them. Their deception, misinformation, and run-arounds are obviously intentional and they have done nothing but given me untruths and made no effort to contact me to discuss or refund my charges.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

The Tulsa location is the worst business I have ever associated with. They are all shady. They sold my husband and I a SUV and then a week later said the bank denied our loan, called the bank and they never denied our loan. CarMax Tulsa called us liars and said we don't know what we are talking about. If you live in the Tulsa, OK area, I would consider taking your business elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

08/26/22: Paid $199 to have a 2014 Porsche Cayman S (WP0AB2A89EK190214) transferred from Kansas City, Kansas, to Birmingham, Alabama. Listing did not mention or picture any significant damage to the front end--although I did locate an additional damage record using CarFax that CarMax's history documents did not mention. Waited over a week for the car to arrive then drove two hours to Birmingham to see/purchase the vehicle. When I arrived I instantly noticed front end damage and nearly peeling paint on the front bumper in addition to a smashed fog light/grille. Once again, CarMax's post-delivery "quality check" made no mention of this nor the salesperson I spoke with numerous times before traveling to pick the car up.

I asked if I could take it to a shop for repair and they said it would have to be repaired "in house." No thank you. And makes me wonder how many repairs are done like that to their cars that don't get reported to CarFax or Autocheck... I don't know if this sort of thing is indicative of CarMax as a whole, but I can tell you my experience was awful and I cannot recommend dealing with this company. They did refund the transfer fee--which I appreciated--but I should have been made aware of this issue prior to traveling over to see the car. Especially for a $50,000 vehicle I was purchasing. Completely unprofessional and a complete shame that this happened. Going to try another retailer moving forward.

08/27/22 Update: Salesperson, Steven Puckett, called to discuss the matter. He said he didn't answer me last night while I was dealing with the issue with another salesperson because he "maintains a work life balance" and was "not going to lie, went out" drinking. He said the proper procedure is to take a test drive and then have them repair any minor issues or damage observed. I'm sorry, but repainting an entire bumper and replacing a smashed light/grille is not minor. Especially if it affects the value of the car, which this does. Do NOT go to CarMax. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by a business before.

Resolution response: Aug. 31, 2022

7 days later car is still in the shop. Carmax refused to pay for the transmission fluid change after the service manager Tony told me he would trust the mechanic and approve the change since it's obviously affecting the shifting.

The mechanic called the next day and said Carmax refused the service. I called and confronted him asking why he had told me one thing and was doing another. He had tried saying that he wouldn't approve it because Carmax had changed the fluid before it was sold, however he stated "full disclosure, we don't have the ability to completely change the fluid, our process still leaves half of the old fluid in the transmission".

The mechanic working on our vehicle stated it looked like there was still plenty of burnt fluid in there. There should have been no issue with this as the vehicle is still under dealer warranty and the carmax care warranty I paid for. Now I'm being charged $400 to resolve this issue. Absolutely incompetent people. I would not recommend Carmax to anyone. I will be canceling my Carmax care plan as soon I return from sea because I refuse to pay for this sham of a warranty.

It's also completely disheartening I have to deal with this while I'm gone working. Satellite calls are my only option and it's just something I shouldn't have to deal with. Even called customer relations to threaten legal action. No response and apparently not enough to get any positive result. Terrible service. Save yourself the headache. I'm sure there are plenty of other good quality dealerships in the Spokane area that would not put someone through this. Cheers.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I will never purchase a vehicle through CarMax again. I bought a Chrysler 300 from the Spokane location. Right away there were problems with the seat belt alarm not turning off and the horn not working, which shows me they didn't do the 125 point inspection they claim to offer. Issues were fixed at the dealership. Drove the vehicle home. After a week a terrible grinding noise started. I called the office and said I wanted to ship another Chrysler up from Utah to replace the one I purchased. My predicament was that I work at sea and was leaving in two weeks. The dealership assured me I could have my wife do the vehicle exchange as long as she has Power of Attorney (which she does) and pay $300 to have the vehicle shipped to Spokane. Paid the fee and waited a couple days.

I called the dealership after they processed the payment just to confirm again that my wife would be able to do the exchange. The dealership then told me they were wrong to have told me she could pick it up and I didn't have any other options. They did cancel and refund the shipping cost. At this point I told them I would just bring the vehicle back for a full refund and wish I had. After discussing our options and our lack of another vehicle we decided to schedule an appointment with our local Chrysler dealership for repairs that are supposedly under a dealer warranty, plus we paid for the MaxCare protection plan. I called the Service department at the Spokane Carmax and was told as long as they are an ASE certified garage all the mechanic would have to do is call with the repairs and total and they would pay for it no problems.

My wife took the car in yesterday (it's been sitting in my driveway for almost two weeks because the grinding is so bad she's scared to drive it), the mechanic looked it over and came up with a relatively short list of things to fix on it, including a completely deteriorated heat shield that is causing the grinding issue, plus some electrical issues and a replacement of the broken skid plate. Now Carmax is trying to say the dealership is trying to upsell them and they don't want to cover the costs for repairs. It's completely ridiculous.

I literally had to make a satellite call from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean to the Spokane service department only to be told they are having a hard time deciding what the can pay for. I explained to them I just paid over twenty thousand dollars and they need to make a good faith effort to honor the warranty. I should not have to pay one damn dime out of my pocket but it looks like I'll likely have to pay for the repairs. Car has been sitting in the garage two days now awaiting some type of approval from the service department manager at Carmax. Meanwhile my wife is stuck at home with no vehicle. Absolutely ridiculous for a company to treat someone this way. I normally avoid writing reviews, however if one person reads this and can avoid the headaches and disappointment I suppose it's worth it. Cheers!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

CarMax sells MaxCare extended warranties and MaxCare does not do what they say. They tell the repair shop to tear down the engine to find an intermittent problem with the turbos and you have to pay for the estimated $500 charge to do the engine tear down. What kind of extended warranty is that?? CarMax is running a scam selling these ETs knowing that MaxCare isn't a reputable company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I went to CarMax located at 3611 Fountainhead Drive San Antonio, TX 78229 on Monday 22 Aug at 2:30 p.m. The salesman ** was great. However, I questioned a few of their charges (such as Dealer’s Inventory Tax $$51.26). I explained that a customer should not be paying the Dealer’s Inventory Tax. The salesman was not able to remove the amount and asked several different wile if it could be removed, all staff members said no.

Finally, ** from the Business Center spoke with me (I was told he was the head Manager there). ** blatantly said they would not remove the Dealer’s Inventory Tax and that every dealership charges this Tx. I explained that just because every dealership charges this does not mean that it is right. This charge should be paid to the state of Texas by CarMax not the customer. He didn’t seem to care how I felt and said they wouldn’t remove it. I was disappointed that he could not escalate this to have it removed. The way he spoke to me was made me felt he could care less how the customer felt about the charge and nothing could be said to change the outcome. Customers who decide to purchase from CarMax need to be aware of this tactic to charge the Customer Non-Mandatory fees like this. The best answer they could come up with was the “it comes down from Corporate”, not a good answer to me.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I sold my Toyota Tacoma yesterday, the process was easy, quick and pleasant. They honor their online offer, so I got paid right on the spot. Their offer is better than Carvana, better than TrueCar.com. I strongly recommend people go to Carmax if anyone need to sell their vehicle. TrueCar would offer you less money, and when you go to a participate dealer, they don't honor their online offer, not even take a look at your vehicle. It is more like a scam. So please don't waste your time to try.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful, intimidating, discrimination against women, unauthorized abuse of your vehicle to get absolutely zero response and CarMax does not care about military families. They do not. Go somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I went into the Beaverton CarMax location after waiting 3 weeks for n appointment. I was second on the list for cars to be seen that day as my time slot was for 8:15 a.m. I was quoted it would take roughly 2 hours. Total time of me being there was 5 hours and 8 mins. For A.C. Check, speakers balanced, and inspect tires. No associate called or informed me it was gonna take this long. At the end of the appointment, the service dept. told me that they had put 2 new tires on the back of my 2017 Camry. When I got home, they had lied to me and no tires were out on. Management has authority here as I have spoken to 7 associates who work at this location. I advise people to stand clear of the CarMax (Beaverton, OR) location.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Before I purchased the car they made promises that induced me to travel for a day to close the deal. Once I was there they would not follow through without further action on my part that I was not previously informed of. Their failure to fully inform me of financing requirements caused the deal to fall through and I incurred several hundred dollars in losses from their negligence and misrepresentations. Their attitude was not one of cooperation or efforts to mitigate the damage they caused. Rather a "sorry we should not have said that" was as close as they came. Respect for the customer is of no importance to them. They are the epitome of the stereotypical used car dealer who takes advantage of the customer whenever possible. You cannot trust what they tell you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I have had two warranties. The first was a blessing. This time, I have to pay for my own rental and be reimbursed. THE WHOLE POINT OF BUYING A WARRANTY IS TO NOT BE HASSLED WITH THIS OR PAY FOR IT. I don’t have money to cover the rental. My car was supposed to be done 3 days ago and I keep hearing tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow… it was fine when I dropped it off because I was on vacation. It’s inconvenient now because I have no way to get to and from work on an acceptable time frame because my partner's hours are way different than mine. Be warned that unless the shop is Carmax or they offer their own rentals, you have to take care of it yourself. Thanks for literally nothing.

Original review: July 26, 2022

We purchased a 2010 G37 Infiniti from the Carmax located at 4400 S Interstate 35 Austin TX 78745 in May 2021. The salesman raved about this car's condition and it being accident free. After registering the car, we later found out that the car was in an accident and that the damage was rated as moderate. This is very deceptive and very unprofessional. We called and talked to a sales person who stated a manager would call us back, but to date we have not heard back.

Original review: July 23, 2022

HORRIBLE company. Was a long drawn out process to begin with. Over-priced car and now they won't allow me to make payments. I can't make a payment OR set up autopay. I believe they are trying to get me to default on car loan so they can repossess. I am forced to refinance through another company so I can make payments. It's for the best, their payments are $600 a month and much lower with new company!!

Original review: July 19, 2022

I have bought many cars over the years with CarMax and written good reviews, however due to a business model change, I will probably never do business with them again. I decided to upgrade my suv and got a good offer from CarMax. Based on the offer, I found another suv but had to pay the transfer fee from a neighboring state. This used to roll over into the car purchase but now is a convenience charge. I offered to go pick up the car but was advised that it would be less hassle to have it shipped due to registration logistics. The very next day I received an email stating it had shipped but there were no more updates for several days. It actually looked like it was sitting at my local store but I’m not sure where it was because the sales guy was vague when I asked him and it appeared he had no better idea about where it was than I did.

After a week my appraisal was about to expire and I reached out again only to be told it was in post shipping inspection. So I called the “local number” only to end up speaking to apparently yet another remote employer/manager who told me the issue was the title was missing. He set up an appointment to take my car in for a reappraisal and to at least look at the car I had never seen. We drove the 45 minutes to the dealership only to be told that they can’t do a reappraisal until after the 7 days and that we could not see the car for “safety reasons.” The next employer then gave the reason the car was not ready as it needing state inspection and that it was not the title issue we had been given 1 hour before by a manager.

We were then told we were basically dumb for relying on information from “call center employees” that we were forced to speak to when you call the local number. Which is probably the main reason my yearly car purchase will change to another vendor. What company reroutes local calls to a call center that apparently cannot explain process at its dealerships. We were actually told that the call center employees are unaware of store policies.

I’m still debating canceling the purchase but I’m waiting to see if I feel differently about this experience. As of now, I have no faith in CarMax and if it’s this hard to buy a car, what will happen if I have an issue with it? I left my water bottle at the store and the call center had to find someone at the actual dealership to get my water bottle. If you are going to do business with them, I strongly recommend only doing it in person and find a car actually on the lot. My past purchases have not been this much of a hassle. My next purchase will not be from CarMax unless something changes.

Original review: July 12, 2022

The whole thing it's another wealthy corp.,taking advantage of needy. The only thing that it's true it's 30 day money back, but in the form of a check that forces you to open an account with Wells Fargo. They won't cash it At All. Beware. They have been told to only allow customers that are going from Carmax check to only open account and not cash the check. One way or another one institution or the other. Bottom line they're going to try to pinch your hard earn money no matter what, and that's to add insult to injury because the majority of vehicles that they are selling are close to 100,000 miles which means that at some point during the first year, year and a half you're most likely gonna have to start investing in fixing manufacturing flaws.

Also the price you see online it's nowhere near what it really it's going to cost. A car I wanted was 19k and filling in with information they ask to see if you qualify or pre-qualify. It brought it up to 22k, once we got to the dealership it turned out that Carmax wasn't the one to finance but another finance company which was giving me a whopping 28% interest rate and jumped the car value to 40k and the vehicle was defective having acceleration problems, and what sounded like catalyst issues. A Big Big Deceit, the service it's outstanding, smiles everywhere, fast service and great sales people. Some can sell ketchup to someone wearing white gloves. So beware and know for sure one way or another one them three institutions (carmax, third party finance, or wells fargo) are going to tax your money for nothing.

Original review: July 4, 2022

I have never written a review before but wanted to share my experience. Found a car I liked on Carmax website and put a hold on it to test drive. Received confirmation email and received multiple texts to call and verbally confirm. I called from work and spoke to the agent who again confirmed and said she would send me paperwork and call me that evening. Made plans to purchase car and arrange ride there to buy. No call, nor paperwork was sent. I called back that evening and was told vehicle was on now on hold for someone else. Apparently their holds and reservations only work when it benefits them.

Original review: July 3, 2022

My June 2022 experience... purchased a vehicle 30 days ago. There was a need for some cosmetic repairs and some safety items including a malfunctioning seat belt, worn tires that were not street legal, and malfunctioning blind spot indicators. They're happy to sell you a car and tell you there is a 90-day warranty. I spent a month trying to get hold of a service supervisor for the repairs. I called and no one in their service dept. would answer the phone. I tried to leave a VM and a message said a message could not be left since the mailbox was full. This went on for 1 month. I asked for a service supervisor to call me... never happened. I stopped at their location 5 times to speak to someone.

Their service dept. is a ** show. I went to NTB. They told me the oil was dirty and hadn't been changed in at least 4k miles. I then went to MB and they told me 3 of the tires are so worn they are not street legal. I finally realized that Carmax did not care and were not going to stand by their so called 90-day warranty and I repaired everything at my expense for $4k because my family's safety comes first. Over 20 year I have purchased approx . 10 cars from them. I will no longer give them my business, I will tell everyone I know about my experience, and I will post more reviews and put a Youtube video up.

Carmax, you brought all this on yourself. As far as I'm concerned, your brand is dead. There is a reason why your stock has plummeted so severely in the last 1 year. Prepare to go out of business. If I ran my business this way, I'd be homeless right now. You had ample opportunities to make things right, but you blew it. Now all my reviews with be a Internet forever = karma.

Original review: June 30, 2022

The store in El Paso TX is absolutely terrible. Poor service and very unorganized. I was sold a car that needed a new transmission and had brake issues five days after purchasing. I am in the process of returning the vehicle and I can never speak with the same person, I always get forwarded to someone new. This process has been ongoing for over two weeks now. Worst experience I have encountered.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I just purchased my 4th Care from my local CarMax. I have always dreaded buying cars. However, each time I received care from CarMax it has been a fast easy experience. I have always felt I got a fair price, it only took about 2hrs max. Maybe, more importantly, none of the cars I have gotten from them have ever had mechanical problems. They have run great. I will almost certainly buy my next care from them as well.

Original review: June 15, 2022

At 8:18AM on 6/14/22, I executed an online reservation and transfer request for an SUV from Ontario to Escondido CA. I received a confirmation email from Carmax at 8:14AM that I had indeed reserved the vehicle. After spending at least an hour on the phone with financing and sales, at 11:15AM on 6/15/22 (+24hrs later) I was informed that another customer was in store and purchased the vehicle at the same time as I was going through the process of reserving it.

This made no sense as the store where the vehicle was located didn't open until 10AM. The reasoning for this excuse was that a reservation email doesn't mean the reservation is confirmed, it only means that you requested a reservation, which may not be processed for several hours after the request is made. Long story short, this is an unacceptable customer experience and is misleading to allow customers to seemingly complete a reservation online only to have it mean nothing if Carmax cannot confirm any details for several hours.

CarMax Company Information