3.6/5 (562 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About CarMax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

CarMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Carmax has always offered me the most money for my trade in. They usually offer more than most of the competitors including dealerships. Plus they advice to update the amount if a fair amount of time has gone by.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Initiated purchase 10 days before the car arrived. Once it arrived, informed it had to be cleaned and inspected post transfer FL—LA to make sure all was well; another 48 hr. wait. The day I was scheduled to pick it up, I was told that the driver forgot to give them the title, so I’d have to wait for him to overnight it. Appt. set w/ finance dept. at 4:30 the next day. I sat there for 3 hrs along w/ other customers. Of which, a couple told me that’s the way it is at Carmax! Even w/ an appt.—A 2+ hr. wait to do 30 mins of paperwork. Then, they tell me I’ll have to wait again, while they clean the car. Unbelievable!

They’ve had the car for a total of (3) days and said it was cleaned and inspected prior to the appt! Liars, unorganized and very unprofessional! I purchased a car from Carvana in April, and it was the most pleasant, easiest, convenient experience I’ve ever had purchasing a car. PS… And, it was online, you didn’t even have to go in person. You would think it would be the opposite, but it’s wasn’t! Carmax has serious organizational issues and absolutely no customer service!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Found a Mercedes E-350 on the CarMax site and it looked great. Had it trailered to Denver where I live. Met at the Carmax dealership and drove the car. Carmax was asking top dollar for it. Car at 39k miles was pretty tired. I asked the dealer to complete few items to bring it up to the level you would expect for a car with that mileage and asking price. They agreed to do a couple of things but basically it was a take or leave it attitude. I won't deal with this company again. Their pricing is above market for vehicles and they really don't seem to care much about making things right. I guess the sales team's not on commission because they don't seem to care much.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The business office at the Hartford CT. office doesn't even deserve 1 star. I have been calling them at 860-263-6812 for a week now and my calls are never answered. I finally called CARMAX customer service at 800-519-1511 and when i finally got through to someone, she tried to call the Hartford business office, then the Hartford Manager and neither answered her call. Absolutely pathetic service. They have the title to my vehicle and I need it... 8 days now... If I owed them a title or any money they would be at my front door by now! Find another dealer, Carmax doesn't give a hoot about you once they have your money!! Truly awful, even worse than Comcast! I never thought I'd say that about anyone!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Ok let me just start by saying this. They lure you in by having a 30 day return policy and 90 day warranty on their vehicles. I bought 2 from this place. 1st one was junk. 2nd one is currently in the shop where NO one I mean NO one will will contact you nor will you be able to contact them (specifically King of Prussia). This place has done nothing but stress me out. I feel like I bought a lemon and like I said no contact on their end. You really have to jump through hoops. I don't recommend this place to anyone. I truly am confident in giving them 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

We went to several dealerships. The most any of them would offer me for my 2014 M-B SLK with only 14K miles was $17K & $1.5K for my 2009 Cobalt with 70K miles while wanting Blue Book or more for the SRX we wanted to buy.. Carmax offered $22K for the M-B & $2.5 K for the Cobalt which was exactly what I wanted for both of them AND we got exactly what we wanted in a low mileage SRX for a very reasonable price. We went to them last because I’ve always been a wheeler dealer when it comes to negotiating car purchases buying for thousands less than the asking price. I didn’t need to at Carmax because they gave me what I wanted for my trade ins & sold me a car for a reasonable price. I’m 70 so this is probably my bucket list car but I would strongly urge anyone else looking to at least give them an opportunity.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

First Carmax ran my credit to over 30 banks. Dropping my credit score. Their customer service is terrible. They never return your calls. I will never deal with carmax again. The managers are very nasty people.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I was a New Widow and had never did a major purchase without my husband. I needed a car and was nervous about car shopping alone. Carmax didn't make me feel like I needed to bring a Man or mechanic to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off. I felt I could make a educated decision because everything was laid out upfront, even future repairs are handled on site.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I bought a vehicle from CARMAX and requested a remote starter installed in the vehicle. I got a flat tire and tried to loosen valve stem cap and inadvertently broke the valve stem on the flat. I went to Toyota and bought a new valve stem and installed it; however, the computer would not reset to accept the new valve stem. I tried several other mechanic shops and they could reset the computer. I was so frustrated and took back vehicle to Toyota and they said the problem was because the remote starter had been installed incorrectly which interfered with the vehicle’s computer and this caused the computer’s inability to accept the reset.

I took vehicle back to CARMAX to correct the problem with the improperly installed remote starter. I still have the vehicle and most recently the remote starter doesn’t always start the vehicle. I have called CARMAX several times and left messages but no one has ever responded. Last Saturday (8/28), I went back to CARMAX since I have not heard from anyone and Service Department is closed. I explained the problem and was given the Service Mgr’s business (Andrew **) to email him about the problem. He responded that they do no install remote starters and provided the name of a company in Plainville, MA that I should contact to get help with the remote starter. I am utterly frustrated and need help to resolve this problem with my remote starter. I could never refer anyone to doing any business (buy or sell) with CARMAX in this lifetime. I repeat - Beware of CARMAX. Vasta ** Milton, MA

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Very professional, knowledgeable, treating me like family. The dealership had the COVID protocol intact. The salesman’s did not make me feel like it was just a deal but really listened and took what I was saying into consideration. The dealership in Woodbridge Virginia is a class act dealership. Kudos to Carmax.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Do not buy the CarMax extended warranties. They are weasels and will "fine print" you out of covering the repairs they claim to cover. Four years ago, I purchased my third vehicle from CarMax, an Audi Q5, along with a MaxCare warranty. On July 24th of this year, my wife and son got stuck on the side of Afton Mounting going to Harrisonburg, VA because the engine of the Audi Q5 blew up. Luckily, despite being stuck on the shoulder of a mountain road, neither she nor our son was hurt. After spending the weekend picking up my family, I had the car towed to the nearest dealer to be repaired. I assumed that this was the end of our harrowing experience. However, I had not started dealing with MaxCare, yet.

The dealer called MaxCare the following week with the repair information and was told MaxCare denied the claim. When I purchased my car from CarMax, the sales associate told me that “people love the MaxCare warranty.” Well, I certainly don’t. Dealing with MaxCare has been nothing short of a catastrophic failure, exactly the kind of failure that our car experienced, and exactly the kind of failure I expect a warranty to cover. My claim was denied twice by MaxCare. On top of the fact that CarMax sold a car that blew up after only being driven 45,000 miles, I spent three weeks trying to get the car repaired. This is completely unacceptable. I bought the MaxCare warranty for “peace of mind” not for “added stress and aggravation.”

The Audi clearly experienced an engine failure that should be covered by the “comprehensive” warranty. The car had been serviced by Audi of Richmond and Delta V Auto and was up to date on all scheduled maintenance. I understand that the repairs will be expensive. But if CarMax doesn’t want to cover repairs for an Audi, then either 1) don’t sell the vehicle or 2) don’t sell insurance. Weaseling out of your responsibility is a horrible way to treat your loyal customers. Don't waste your money on the worthless MaxCare warranty.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

We got 4 cars and one truck since 2010 all from Carmax. We have been very Happy with Carmax and all the people we came in contact with. My truck rear end broke and my warranty had elapsed and carmax took my truck and changed out complete rear end axle completely and only charged a fair price.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Carmax is a great place to start a search for a new vehicle. I like starting there because they have lots of different makes and models giving me the option to drive several. I also like that the prices are already set and so no haggling. I have not purchased from Carmax but I have sold two cars to them and both times they gave me a fair price.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I will get right to the point. Carmax sold me a car that ended up with a failed clutch, missing parts, dirty engine oil, and fouled-up spark plugs. The state of this vehicle was the polar opposite of what Carmax promotes as their core values which are stated as: "Do the right thing, Put people first, etc." Carmax, knowing that I was driving 800 miles back to my home state, basically the sent me on my way in a car that was in no way roadworthy for such a trek, I considered myself lucky I made it back. By the time I returned the car back to Carmax 4 days later, the clutch was starting to slip under 30mph or more while accelerating.

Now that they have the car back, I have been struggling with carmax in order to get my money back. I have received multiple versions about how the refund process works and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I have lost all faith in carmax and based on the product they sold me, I see no resolution in the horizon as far as my refund is concerned. I eventually asked the BBB to step in and investigate. Also worth mentioning that 2 days before I was scheduled to fly up to the dealer to see the car, I called to confirm everything only to find out they had cancelled the appointment and lost all of my signed purchase order documents. I had to do the process all over again. I will never buy a car from Carmax and I have advised everyone to avoid shopping at carmax as well.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I found the car I wanted for only $9,999 in OH, a Ford Edge V6, AWD, Tow pkg. I reserved the car. I got an email, the car was already reserved, make another selection. Another car found at higher price, I tried to reserve it, "You can only reserve one car at a time. Call dealer and have old choice removed". I called dealer to have first choice removed, "Oh, that car is still available!" "Really? The Ford Edge in OH for only $9,999 is still available?" "Yes it is, it will cost $249 to get it shipped to local dealer." OK, ship it, paid $249. Carmax: "Your car has arrived." Me: "What is the complete out the door price so I can bring a cashier's check?" "$23,***." "WHAT? What happened to the $9,999 car I paid to have shipped?" "Well, I don't know, I will have to check." No call back or further messages.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I thought I'd try purchasing a car online because my friend had a great experience with another online company. I saw a car on CarMax that I thought I'd really enjoy having. A 2019 Chevrolet Equinox Premiere. I was going to trade in my low miles 2016 Jeep Compass. I was provided a pretty decent offer so the next stage would be to wait for a rep to call me to start this process. A day later a rep called me and we started. There were tons of questions, pre-qualifiers, etc. I decided I would pay cash for my vehicle and so I immediately paid for the transfer of the Vehicle from PA to Albany, NY which was gonna run me $200 non-refundable dollars. So that done, I waited and waited.

My trade in offer expired at this point. So after getting tired of waiting I called to find out what the deal is with my vehicle. The rep gasses me up telling me the car was delivered (why didn't anyone call me) and it's being put through inspection. In the meantime to expedite everything I needed to re-submit my pictures of my vehicle and fill out forms again for my trade in offer. I did it that night. Again more waiting, my trade in offer expires yet again (this is the third time). Finally, again I get on the customer service chat to find out what the deal is and to tell them that at this point I'm so over it. I think I don't want the car. Well the rep tells me it's my lucky day. The car is ready. It was a quarter to five. If I hadn't called, no one was going to call or send me an email to tell me that this car was ready. At this point I'm over it. I have to ask myself why would I dish out in cash $18k to purchase a car from a company that can't even provide the most basic customer service?

If your staff can't take the time to give a customer who paid cash for this transfer, the courtesy of giving updates and walking you through the process, imagine what would happen after I give my money and something goes wrong with the vehicle. I can't trust you to give me good service after I gave you $200 and now I'm expected to give $18k? No. I decided to take the loss on the $200. I wasn't going to travel 3 hours to Albany and then realize they're pulling a fast one on me. Needless to say I was very surprised and disappointed because other reviews were pretty favorable. They got 3 stars on yelp. Anyway, beware. If you can avoid the transfer fee, do that in case you decide you don't want to deal with crappy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I went to purchase a Mercedes Benz first mistake from Carmax. I talked to the salesman, got everything in writing. When I came to close deal they had took warranty off then wanted to charge me. Truly bad. They claim no haggle when you try to go lower but they have no problem raising price when they need to

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I bought an Audi 2015 A3. After I came home to have the safety recall fixed by a dealer I found out that there is no repair available. It is a passenger airbag deployment issue that makes the car dangerous to ride in if the light goes on. I called Carmax and told them and got excuses and shifting of the blame onto me, who should have known. I am truly disgusted with the experience. I cannot even resell this car in good faith. Avoid Carmax.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I can say in my 40+ years of buying cars you are the worst! I spend a lot of time researching my new car then learning your systems to initiate the buying process from taking pictures of my trade in to filling out the appropriate paperwork to securing the financing to being told I will need to wait three plus weeks for the car only to be told the car is here but we don't have the title or the paperwork to transact the transfer. Bush league, unprofessional, and unacceptable. Who is going to compensate me for my time and energy not to mention the fact that I now don't have a car to drive. You should be ashamed of yourself advertising deliverables you can't deliver and wasting hard working people's time. Horrible! Do Not DO Business With This Company!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Went to the Salem, Oregon location. Had reached out to the location, so they would have everything ready to go. After 3.5 hours, they couldn't get their system to work, so they tried to force me to sign different financing at a higher rate and longer term with THEIR financing department. BUYER BEWARE of baiting and switching!!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

After searching for weeks online, found the car that checked all the boxes at Carmax online. The vehicle was "coming soon", so I opted to receive an email when the car became available for purchase. I enabled notifications on my email and checked immediately when any and every email arrived. After approximately 10 days I was notified it was ready! So excited! I was the first to respond. I immediately signed up for the vehicle to be transferred from its location in TX to the Birmingham Carmax. The website said I completed all the info and they would be calling to arrange a time. I waited for the call. Two days, nothing.

On the morning of day three, I get an email saying that my "hold" had expired and did I want to extend it!! In a panic, I hit YES, and was relieved that I still had first option to purchase. I called Carmax to personally arrange the transfer. They told me someone had an appointment to test drive the car that afternoon. They would inform me if they declined. They sold the car from under me. I got lots of "I apologize, I'm so sorry. I'll write a report to my manager." This was BEFORE the car was sold. They sold it anyway. A month of searching and waiting. Back to square one.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

I bought a used car from Carmax. I've left six messages with their service department and have not received a call back. Two weeks this has been going on. I've contacted Corporate and am currently still on hold after 46 minutes, waiting to talk to a human. The office will close before they pick up. I'm fed up with incompetence masquerading as slick customer service. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR SERVICE AGREEMENT, a total ripoff if no one is there to help.

Original review: July 30, 2021

Was searching for a Corvette and this site has some prices that are flat-out crazy. A 2020 1LT corvette listed at almost 100 grand is insane. I am all for them marking up the price some to make money, but think they go overboard on sports cars. Will shop else and find better deals.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Carmax runs like a well oiled machine. They gave me exactly what the online offer was, always maintaining friendly and professional service. I would recommend this company for anyone. Thank you. Loved it!

Original review: July 25, 2021

In February of 2021 I purchased a Hyundai Equus Ultimate from the Sacramento location. I paid 300+ to have it shipped in from Henderson, NV. Once it arrived took possession of the vehicle and that was that. After a couple of weeks of ownership there were some things that were not adding up. The vehicle 40K miles on it but the wear and tear was not consistent with the miles on the vehicle. Dashboard coming apart, clouded headlights and buckled front wheel liners which was consistent with a front end minor collision, I did not feel comfortable keeping that car long term and exercised the 30 day return policy. For a car that cost $70,000 new and only a couple of years old things did not add up. I paid $24,000+/- cash and needed the car to be trouble free

I returned the car and saw that the Henderson, nv location had another new arrival Hyundai Equus Ultimate which was two years older but only had 34,000 miles and was in much better condition.Carmax demanded that I pay $300+ to have the new vehicle shipped into California. I made it very clear that I was not paying another $360 to have another car shipped in and I guess that we would not be doing business. Their loss. I went home and not more than a couple hours later I received a call from management asking what can be done to do a deal. I made it clear that I was not paying shipping again and that if they would pay to have the car shipped I would take a look at it once it arrived at the dealership. They agreed to ship the vehicle

Once the 2nd vehicle arrived I did the same process. I went look at the car, test drove it, loved it, and purchased it. After the 30 days this is where the headaches ramped up specifically with Carmax and the lack of customer care. After 30 days I had a list of issues that needed to be addressed. I called to make an appointment to bring my vehicle and was advised by the service advisor Albert to bring my vehicle in and have the issues addressed. I had made an extensive explanation of the issues with instructions on how to duplicate the issues.

After having the car for a week Albert had informed me that one of the issues was addressed however they had sent the car over to the Hyundai dealership and could not find anything else wrong with the vehicle or the issues that I had documented. I asked Albert if he looked at the notes that I had provided and he had no response. When I went to the dealership Albert had told me that the dealership said that there were no software updates for the vehicle or for the GPS navigation system, which after hearing this I realized that Albert had no idea or understanding of what the issues were and did not properly convey the issues to the dealership. When I went to Carmax Albert assured me that the issue would be fixed in spite of him not understanding the issue.

He advised that I take the vehicle and make an appointment to bring the vehicle back once he could get an appointment date with Hyundai to bring the vehicle in. I followed up and Albert told me to bring the vehicle in on a Friday so that he could make sure that it was at the Hyundai Dealership for a Monday morning appointment.

As instructed I brought the vehicle in on a Friday so that it could be taken to the dealership by Monday Morning. However when I had driven to CarMax on Wednesday of the following week to get some answers since the phones were not being answered I noticed that the car was still sitting in the back 40 of the customer car lot, Between two large trucks. When I expressed my concern about a black car with black leather interior sitting in the lot, with windows rolled up on a 100 degree plus day between two trucks, Albert, or Carmax had no care in the world about my concerns. Albert told me that they were short staffed so as a result they did not have anyone who could take the car to Carmax and that he was not sure of when it would go over to Hyundai. The car remained in the customer car lot for another week or two. After two weeks the car was caked with dust and dirt.

After the car finally went to the Hyundai Dealership the service manager had called me to find out specifically what the issue was with the car since Albert was not able to explain the issue due to his lack of understanding. The Hyundai Service manager took thorough notes and was able to convey the issue to the service tech.

In the beginning for the 1st month and a half every time I wanted to know what was going on with the car I would have to call Carmax and wait at a minimum for 45 minutes on hold, leave a message or sometimes get disconnected. Customer service is not a forte of Carmax for sure. After about 5 weeks I was contacted and told that Sacramento Hyundai had found an issue with the head unit which was causing the problem that had been reported and that a new head unit would need to be ordered and that once the unit was received which was expected to take a couple of weeks that the would give me a call once the work was completed.

After I had called CarMax for an update I was told that the head unit had been replaced successfully and that the issue was resolved however after replacing the head unit that Sacramento Hyundai had discovered another NEW issue. The rear backup camera had stopped working. The three other surround cameras worked but the rear camera would no longer function. I was told told that additional time would be needed to troubleshoot why the backup camera was no longer working

Two more weeks go by and I finally receive a call from Carmax and they stated that Sacramento Hyundai figured out why the rear camera was no longer working and that the car’s camera control module was bad and needed to be replaced. I was also told that in spite of the camera working before the car was brought in, there was a discussion on who was going to cover the cost of the part and labor. I was told at that time that Carmax would provide a status when there were new developments.

Another week goes by and I receive a call that the camera control module would be ordered and that Sacramento Hyundai would not be picking up the cost of the parts/labor. After another week the part had come in and the work had been done and I received a call that I could pick the car up. To sum up here is my takeaways from my experience with Carmax and it to state up front my experience was a extremely experience:

CarMax had my car for 90 days to the day. That is way too long and un-called-for It was only after CarMax had my car for two weeks that I said that I would need a loaner car. Albert never divulged that they had loaner cars available and it was only after he had told another customer that they could have a loaner car. There was no reason that I should have to make the suggestion and Albert should had made it known that I could have a loaner car.

Carmax is required to call the customer and provide updates on a regular or daily basis. This did not happen to me. Every time I needed an update I would have to call Carmax, navigate the phone menu and wait on hold for 45 minutes only to get little or no update at all. If you expect Carmax to call you with updates get over that notion because it will not happen.

If you expect Carmax to take care of your car while it is in their possession don’t get your hopes up. Regardless of what make or model of car you have it will be treated the same as the cheapest car in their service or inventory lot. If your car is in service for more than a day THEY WILL park your car in the customer lot (back 40) windows rolled up on a 100 degree day, Your car will bake and get car dents just like any car at Home Depot or Walmart.

My $70,000 car went in with no dents or imperfections and once I received it back it had two dings on opposite sides of the car. The dings were quite obvious so-much-so that Carmax tried to touch the scratches up with a paint that didn’t even match the car’s color. When I pointed this out to Jake in Service his attitude was one of I “don’t care attitude”. It was also clear that the car just backed in the sun as there was spotting on the black leather dashboard where the dash had dried in several spots. Expect scratches and dings when you take your car into Carmax. Also expect your key fob to have numerous scratches and gouges in it after your visit to CarMax. That is just what Carmax does

I had called corporate Carmax headquarters to express my concerns with Carmax having my vehicle in their service department for over 3 months. Don’t waste your time as all corporate will do is take notes and then forward the concerns to the local CarMax will go nowhere. I never got a call from the Sacramento Carmax and don’t even think about leaving a message for the service, general, or any other manager at Carmax. They absolutely will not return a call to you. And if you walk into Carmax to speak to a manager they will always make up an excuse such as the manager is not in, they're on vacation, they are sick, etc.

Customer service is non existent at Sacramento Carmax so set your expectations low at the onset at least you will be less disappointed. Sacramento CarMax has a huge customer service issue. Their employees like Albert, Jake, department managers need to be replaced or restrained because they just don’t care. Other service advisors such as Candyce were great. Although I did not receive a call on a regular basis from Candyce when she did call she relayed information in an understandable and comprehensive manner.

The only two good things that I will say about the Sacramento CarMax which is not specific to that location is: The 30 day car return option is a great policy. The 90 day warranty is a great policy. If it was not for the above two benefits I would not ever consider CarMax again there are just better options available. I certainly will not be recommending CarMax to anyone in the future.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I bought a vehicle through Carmax and they offered the MaxCare warranty (managed by Assurant) which at first sounded like a good deal.... Until I actually needed to use it! I drove my vehicle with my family in it cross country and the transmission started to malfunction, making the vehicle inoperable. I had the vehicle towed to a repair facility and obtained a rental. Maxcare covered the rental for 7 days, then began charging me on the 8th day and hit me with a bill. The rental period is outlined in their contract, fair enough. BUT, Maxcare has been giving the repair facility the runaround for 2 months (60) days now and is requiring every single maintenance record (oil changes, scheduled maintenance, etc, etc, etc) in order for them to even OPEN A CLAIM!

My family has been without this vehicle now for 60 days because Maxcare wants proof of every single oil change as well as all other maintenance performed. Additionally, and probably most importantly, the customer service is very hit and miss. The reps are working from home understandably but some should not (should not be hired to work remotely or should be required to be in an office), because Maxcare is not properly training their employees to work remotely. This is a terrible service and I cannot in good faith recommend it to another human being with a family.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I terminated my MaxCare contract as I am selling the car leaving USA back to Europe. I learned that it takes at least 2 weeks to receive the check, and probably more. Logically, I would be in Europe by then. It seems that Carmax wants you to pay for a car and MaxCare immediately, but they keep your money forever.

Original review: July 15, 2021

My experience with them has been horrible. I was told they cover the clutch by the salesman, they do not. They consider is a wearable item that is expected to go bad even though the pamphlet says, "transmission" on the front page of coverages. They don't cover fluids, bolts, belts, bearings, or the diagnosis fees of the shop that they require before covering the issue. I had to put a thousand dollars on the line in order for the technician to disassemble the transmission before CarMax would say whether or not they would do anything. They they decided to only cover half the labor and some of the parts. I still spent over $1,100 in labor and diagnosis fees to get my car repaired.

That $3,500 warranty I purchased is worthless and I will never buy a car from CarMax ever again. Oh, and they didn't have any available repair appointments for 2 months at CarMax itself even though they touted their amazing repair shop during the sales process, I was told to go to another little shop in another city that honored their warranty. That shop openly admitted that CarMax's warranties are horrible and they always have issues getting them to cover repairs. They even gave me the manager's name for the location I bought my car at and encouraged me to call in and complain about it. Very disappointed.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I cannot say enough times DON'T expect a lick of help, concern, or customer service from CARMAX if your vehicle purchase goes sour ... say for instance, if you happen to buy a car for $15,000 and put $9000 down, then in 2 years you spend MORE than that on repairs and it's still NOT running, don't expect assistance or answers from CARMAX. They will assure you if you bring the lemon car in for an appraisal, they will help you into another vehicle -- but then the appraisal on this $15,000 car you've owned for two years, will come back -- they will even meet you in the parking lot so the customers inside cant hear you scream -- when they cheerfully tell you the vehicle appraisal is ... $2000. Wow that's incredible depreciation for a car you paid $15,000 and spent $17,000 in repairs.

They will finally tenderly let you know -- or a lawyer will -- that you buy every used car "as is". If it's a lemon it's a lemon. If you got ** on this fabulous deal you made with them, even if you purchased the $5000 MAXCARE policy, you're on your own buddy. By the way even though you didn't reach 10 years or 100,000 miles, MAXCARE will stop covering their share of the repairs, because the vehicle YOU BOUGHT FROM CARMAX, has exceeded the maximum payout ... didn't even know that was part of the "deal", did ya. And when CARMAX yanks this review as soon as they see it, I will post another one and another one and another one, under a different account if I have to ... on EVERY social media I can find -- setting up emails is easy easy. I can do this TILL I DIE. The car I bought has died already and I'm still making payments...for real.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I filled out an online application. I was approved for a specific car make and model and in addition an appointment was set up to trade in my vehicle with an appointment being made. I arrive at Carmax. They have no record of my deal. I showed them the email. The approval email that they sent to my work email address and also the printed out emails for the trade-in of my vehicle. They still could not find any record of my deal even with the email verification that I printed out for them but this is why I was approved for a Land Rover for certain purchase price. But when I get there all of the sudden the vehicle is not available but they do have other land rovers that were twice as much money as the original vehicle which I was approved for. CONSUMERS STAY AWAY FROM THIS TYPE OF DECEPTION. YOUR WALLET WILL THANK YOU.

CarMax Company Information