2. Automotive

Carmax

Carmax
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.15/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Fast, consistent and courteous; you never have to question where you are in the process; everything is made clear and concise; customer service is superb and you never have to question if they have your best interest at heart.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I purchased a 2017 Ford Focus back on 8-1-20. I found my car online in GA and had it transferred to Huntsville AL. I was told that the pictures I saw online was the Actual car - WRONG. They tell you this but it is a SCAM. They take a pic of a new car and that is what you see no matter where you find the car. When my car arrived it had huge gouges in the front bumper. They told me they were in the pictures, but they could not show me. Also they promise that your car is inspected-BUMPER TO BUMPER, UNDER THE HOOD, ALL OVER. WRONG AGAIN.

My car had only 12,000 miles and I found my battery cable severely corroded. How did I find this?? After my battery went dead and stranded me. They tried to tell me it was normal wear. WRONG AGAIN. Normal wear ha ha, 12,000 miles. Come on. Also there was a broken trim piece that goes over the rear wiper. It was laying in the console and they never offered to tell me, So watch out. They will sweet talk you like they did me.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

From the start, salesman was courteous, professional, and kind..but after that was all downhill, upon wanting to test drive the car the sales rep said that I couldn’t and had a 7day guarantee if anything is wrong with the car to just bring it back..Well, within the first 7days the car went back for multiple issues and concerns and needless to say it’s been back 5 times in 3 months now for the same returning issues Originally and now the service department says it’s fixed (even though the same issues still exist) and there’s nothing they can do...Definitely would not recommend them for anyone, even to someone else that I wouldn’t like...

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

0 ⭐️. So disappointed in how horribly I’m being treated for an ongoing service issue @ (CarMax Burbank/Hollywood.) In an economy with sooo many options & COVID-19, I don’t understand how treating any paying legit customer this way, is a benefit to any brand. I know what CarMax’s core values are, so why do so many of your SENIOR MANAGERS specifically at (CarMax Burbank/Hollywood) lack the ability to resolve an issue that has been going on for over 6 months. My customer service experience with this location is saturated with ego from those who “claim” to be helping me. I’ve noticed all the NEW marketing CarMax is putting into the world. Sooo enthusiastic about getting people in the door. Sooo passionate about having a no haggle, transparent efficient buying process and yet Sooo DISRESPECTFUL when the car that you (CarMax) bought & resold to a customer needs service.

WHAT ABOUT CUSTOMER RETENTION? All customers are valuable to your business. Their behavior at this location is unacceptable. I am not a person who writes service reviews, but the disrespect I’ve received for the past 6 months of my life is wildly disappointing because I have always associated CARMAX with convenience & quality service. As it turns out, thats clearly not the case for everyone.

I purchased a Dark Red 2016 Jeep Patriot from (CarMax Burbank, California) on Friday.March 22.2019. Upon purchase the Jeep had roughly 8,000 miles on it and “CLAIMED” to have no recalls. Less than one year later my Airbag warning light comes on and the saga begins. I Dropped my car off for the first time for service at (CarMax Burbank, California) Store#7126 Tuesday.February.25.2020.

Just to be clear today is (Thursday.August.6.2020). I picked up my car finally after 100 times of going back and forth to the dealership. Dealership: “your good to go”? Me: turns on car and AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT is still in full affect. Dealership: “Oh let us tighten some things up.” What??? I don’t understand how a corporation that prides itself on quality service and exists in a world full of car buying options, could treat customers so poorly. Unfortunately, reading various reviews on this (Top Fortune 500) company, I realize that I am not the only one dealing with this issue. So I must be speak out!

I’ve been in and mostly out of my car for roughly: (6 months). In that time I paid: ($2,5000) toward my auto loan, ($850) in auto insurance in Los Angeles, ($300) April.22.20 for Registration. Not to mention 6 months after purchasing the car I had to replace all 4 tires ($1,000). Every 3,000 miles I changed the oil, either at (CarMax Burbank, California or Jiffy Lube Glendale, California). And to top it all off. Everyone involved (Car Max Corporate & CarMax Burbank California service team and ALL MEMBERS OF THEIR SENIOR MANAGEMENT TEAM) have definitely dropped the ball and won’t pick it back up because of everybody’s extreme ego!!?‍♀️

I’m disappointed in the way I am being handled. I spoke with the service manager (OMÄR) 1 time after I hassled corporate to have a senior manager call me. He was insultingly passive about getting me safely back on the road. What are YOU there for if you can’t figure out a way to solve our issue??? I’m fully aware that (CarMax Burbank, California) can easily resolve this entire situation but they won’t because obviously customer retention is not a focus. But... I thought CARMAX was the way car buying should be??? I thought wrong. ???

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Before you buy a car from Carmax, get a Carfax report first. I overpaid by $3000. As far as I’m concerned, they are scam artists. The salesman was in a big hurry to dump this car on some sucker. Me being the sucker. My mistake for not checking the Carfax report first. I will never do business with Carmax again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I don’t have the best credit in the world, not even from credit or debt, but knew I was looking at less than desirable options. Long story short I wasn’t running my credit multiple times to give the same people the same info just on a different car. The man says something along the lines of it shows as auto finance and you have like a week to run info (don’t quote me) but basically saying it won’t show the multiple inquiries. According to my credit report and multiple letters from the same companies.. Lies! I test drove the 2017 Sonata And the front right tire was low in air, and obviously I bring that up seeing as they replaced the back tires already. Says it’s from sitting etc etc etc.

They will also tell you anything you want to hear to get what they want from you, ESPECIALLY THE MAXCARE add-on policy. It couldn’t be more obvious they receive commission, it was a bit overkill in the amount of times I declined it and said I don’t need it (car had 20000 miles and came with factory limited warranty). Everything I said was met with a ridiculous counter reason why I need to get it. At the end of the day I got it to get off the never ending back and forth, simply for the fact he said I can cancel at any time for a prorated refund and they’d mail me a check. (Yet to be verified) but I read my paperwork after leaving and it states that the canceled prorated amount will go to the FINANCER! Where is the line these people can’t cross? To flat out lie and trick people for your own gain, you shouldn’t be in business.

After going with the lender that didn’t want 6000 down I needed my social security card, I called prior to find out what I needed to bring since I knew I’d be leaving there with a car and wanted to do everything the same day. Call center says it depends, and I asked for every possibility. So needless to say that wasn’t one of them and had everything but that. I took the hour drive home to grab it but not before making sure everything was finalized to the point where all I’d have to do I when I come back is pay the 2600 down and give my social. When I get back they’re now pretty busy. They said we’d have to wait. Well what are you gonna do (even though I tried to avoid this prior to apt by calling).

After half hour or so someone else comes up and finishes with me but it felt like they suckered me into signing my name, guy got his commission off me, deal is basically done, so now I’m useless to their benefit. It was a dragged out ending to a stressful day and there wasn’t a single apparent reason to why I waited 45 mins for them to bring the car around. Claimed it would be filled up, Oil changed and this and that... well I think y’all know the answer to if they Filled the tank. No, no they didn’t and he says they steam cleaned the mats because they were dirty, ( they were not at all dirty) even though it was rainy earlier that day I test drove the car in the late morning and they were absolutely fine. Which neither would matter if they had done something worth 45 mins of time I waited after being there all damn day.

Finally I get the car brought out to me. I reminded the second guy about the tire and was told if the air doesn’t stay in it now that it’s been filled up I can bring it back and they will replace or fix it. Wish there was another Carmax nearby because as one would guess the tire only kept the air for about a week with the PSI ranging Up or down a few, depending on how hot it was outside, but now it is at 26 from 32 and going back there is the last thing I want to do but then I would get to ask about the carpet being soaked and my missing gas fill up and the oil change that wasn’t changed.

What really grinded my gears was to get in, kick my shoes off ready to drive home and the rug is soaking wet!!! I swear they did this on purpose to be **. The other rugs weren’t even damp or wet and moisture made the windows constantly fog for the hour ride home, which also brought to my attention an odd film like coating on the outside of the windows. I had to get the car detailed the next day. How do I drive off the lot with a car that’s worse than when I test drove? Overall it was a very unpleasant experience and there wasn’t any reason for it. The company could do a lot better if it took some accountability and cut the shady crap out.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Purchased a 2018 Jeep Compass for our daughter on 07/01/2020. On the drive home (meanwhile we live a hour and a half away from the Lancaster co. CarMax where we purchased vehicle) on the ride home we noticed a vibration and a loud hum coming from under vehicle when you reach speeds of 45 mph. And above. Contacted CarMax the next day. Was told it is under warranty for 90 days and it still has balance of 3 year factory warranty. Options was bring it back a hour and half drive or to a Jeep dealer 10 minutes from my home. Dealer was the choice.

Upon inspection of vehicle it was determined that front driver side and passenger rear hub bearings were no good. The vehicle only has 6,300 miles on odometer. Vehicle repaired dealer says very hazardous for it to be driven that distance on bad hub bearings. Contacted CarMax Lancaster Pa. Stated to me it is good that it was still under warranty so it did not cost you nothing. But no explanation on how it has brand new. PA. Inspection stickers on vehicle. How did it pass?

Long story short sent email to corporate and crickets. Buyer beware. They get your money you are a memory. CarMax does not return phone call complaints or email complaints unless you put hold on check which I did not do. I put my trust and faith behind them. What a mistake. Dealer also stated there is no way a qualified auto technician could let that pass inspection. CarMax has serious customer service issues. Would have given no stars it would not let me. Whenever your daughter and wife are in a unsafe vehicle you would understand. 0 stars.

Original review: July 15, 2020

The sales staff was good but the management and business office stink! After 15 minutes I went to the window and asked if we were going to get to pay for the vehicle today. I then saw the salesman and told him I could take the cashiers check back unless we got some service. After another five minutes I said in two minutes I was going to ask for the manager. I counted the 120 seconds and asked for the manager. When he came I asked if waiting 22 minutes to pay for a car today was acceptable when we committed to buy it yesterday but the vehicle had to be bobbed for fleas. He said he’d talk to the business manager.

When he came he said there had been two customers in front of us; one at a desk I’d seen and one in the business office. I asked if the one in the office was working with someone remotely because there was no one in there but employees. He said no, there had been a lady in there. This was blatantly untrue! I promised him to post this on social media. If we had not been getting it for my wife and she loved the truck I would have walked out. As it is I promised to post about it on as much social media as I could. So it is here and other places. I will never go back to Carmax. If he had apologized and accepted responsibility it may have been otherwise.

Original review: July 1, 2020

DO NOT BUY from them!! We bought a Lexus from them 2 years ago that they said hit a pothole in NYC. That is how they justified the Carmax. So I was okay with that, but to come to find after the 7 days of return. It was not the case and they would not take it back. SO.... They did fix the front end suspension and replaced the front tires with new tires ones. NOW, with this "Cares Act" they are suppose to give 3 months of no payments. They did NOT do that and misled me to that they did. First customers service said they didn't but then a manager was listening and came on to say they did. BUT I had to make the first payment then they would alternate between months.

Long story short as of June they waived 1 months payment and I have made two payments and a manager would not take OR return my call. Customer service said that they stopped the service and since I am not delinquent of 60 days or more my payment cannot be waived. I said would you turn me into collections and charge late fees they said "Yes." Carmax sent me a letter saying of being delinquent from MAY, not June. May was the payment they were to waive. Catch 22 and Shading Business Practices.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Carmax sold me a 17k vehicle without properly working air conditioning, and falsified the Md state inspection they provided to me. They cover most issues up or deny that they’ve noticed anything not working properly until after the 90 day warranty period. They are con artists & thieves!

Original review: June 28, 2020

I Recently purchased a Mercedes-Benz from this location. I was so happy! The process took all day and did not get in vehicle till almost midnight. After getting in car I saw a broken console and 25. min later my service engine light came on. Told associate immediately what happened! Three days later I was able to get car in shop. First day they said they would take care of it. Few hours later I get a call asking did I hit an animal.. They said it was blood on car and trim damage. I said how could and 25 min later after pulling off I sent a text about the light coming on.

The next day I receive a call saying the turbo boost was low and the body damage and they wouldn't work on the car until the body damage was fixed and it was fluid leaks. The next day I get a call accusing me of damaging the car and that I must have my insurance pay for a car that I didn't damage. When I turned the car in shop there was no leaking and no one mentioned any leaking while it sat in front of the repair for almost an hour and I would assume with it being a repair shop that would be the first thing said and noticed. I was also told my car was inspected June 1 but I didn't purchase it till the 20th, so for 19 days my car sat in a lot being moved around by test drivers and employees. I only had 20 min with my dream car before it became a potential nightmare.

I am still at lost for words and feel like I was completely scammed by a company that I trusted and my family has been trusting as well. I did end up going up there to talk to the Manager of the whole location as well as the one in charge of repairs. The verdict is still up in the air and now I have the whole weekend to dread the decision I shouldn't have to face in the first place. I was promised a fair and well thorough investigation and hope that I do receive that! It could be worse though I guess I was given a loaner but it's nowhere to the standards Of my Mercedes-Benz I purchased. Before buying a car here please make sure you inspect everything. Get under the car as well and maybe bring a man with you!

Original review: June 23, 2020

Germantown Tennessee location. Sales person was awesome but that’s the only thing right. Sold us a car with hidden damage and getting it repaired has been a nightmare. Stay away from Germantown TN. They don’t return calls, they are not prompt and don’t care. Had to call corporate to get things done. Took over a month to get anywhere. Also don’t expect to drive off with a clean ride. They will tell you they’re getting it ready and cleaned but after an hour they did nothing. The Germantown Tennessee location is a joke! Avoid like the plague.

Original review: June 14, 2020

Had truck in for water/lead in bed of truck and issues with Bluetooth/satellite/XM or whatever, it is not working. We’ve taken truck in four times and sick and tired, very disappointed and do not have time for the back and forth. Need the issues completely repaired and CarMax need to provide a truck while they keep our vehicle until they figure it out. They should take the truck to a Dodge dealer. Also sent a fully completed survey via email over a week or so and not one word yet.

Original review: June 11, 2020

When I found out that CarMax sells cars that their system (auto track) says have not been in an accident, but Carfax showed it had was shocking and appalling to me. The consumer deserves honesty when making such a purchase!

Original review: June 11, 2020

Their saying is true! Car buying the way it should be. No hassles, no haggling trying to get you to pay more, Price online is price on lot. In, test drive, trade old car, sign papers, and out with my new car in 2hrs.

Original review: June 11, 2020

Carmax has a very nice website but I can't comment as to one of their stores as I have never visited one. Very easy to compare vehicles and check pricing of which I found a bit expensive for what I was looking for. Overall a decent site, though.

Original review: June 11, 2020

The asking prices are a bit much for high mileage cars. The vehicles being looked at started with 2017-2019. Had to drop down to 2010-2014. The info on these vehicles were very informative but the pricing too high with high mileage. Looking at Chevy and GMC SUVs.

Original review: June 11, 2020

Everything “Looks” good but calling and getting questions answered is totally different. Everyone wants you to come in. I don’t want to come in right now. Some questions I’m asking should be able to be answered online or by telephone.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I purchased my first car from Carmax and couldn’t be happier. I feel like the pricing is fair and the website provides the most important information about the vehicles and updated stock. The prices on the website are what you might find when you actually go to a location.

Original review: June 10, 2020

When we went there no one help us, told us to sign in and go look at cars ourselves. When we were interested in a car we had to walk back in so they could look it up. No help after that. Worst experience.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My daughter and I drove several appealing cars which seemed to have low mileage and attractive looks. We are looking for a medium size convertible which is hard to find. We finally decided on a Buick and the sales force was helpful and courteous in helping us arrive at a decision. My daughter happy with car.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I used this site to find my last vehicle and it helped to save my time and energy, zeroing in on the best value. The vehicle I bought ended up being the one I kept coming back to on Carmax. It saved me the time of having to evaluate if I was getting a good deal or if I should keep looking.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Appreciate your detailed information of vehicles. Like that you guarantee the information that you provide to your customers. Easy to use webpage. Good information. Have not used your site enough to provide more information.

Original review: June 9, 2020

It's a good place to buy a car! Nobody is pushing you to buy. However, their financing services are not that good. High interest is not a plus. People is very professional at all times. Quality cars are superior.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Carmax is where anybody would want to go for a vehicle. They do their very best to get you the vehicle you want. However they are upfront with you on credit and that plays a big part in the vehicle you will get. Once you proven your credit worthy they will assist you further to get you into the vehicle you want.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Although several sites attempt to copy Carmax, I have a positive experience with them. The selection is good and the terms of having a car transferred is great. The only negative is that when you go to a physical site, you might have to wait for an agent. Having a lot of physical sites gives Carmax an advantage over other sites.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I was surprised at how expensive used cars with many miles can be. There were many to choose from and you can shop in many different ways... by year, by brand, etc. Too bad the site doesn't offer a better warranty program.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Like the multi point check and the Carfax check. Don't care much for their non-negotiable pricing. Their selection of vehicles is usually good but there is still a certain amount of that sales pressure remaining even if they don't work on commission..

Original review: June 7, 2020

You can narrow your choices until you find 3 cars to pick from, and they are all perfect. If you have a particular make and model, type it in. A maximum price, a maximum mileage, type it in. If it must be red, let Carmax know.

Original review: June 7, 2020

They didn't have what I was looking for and prices for cars seemed high based on other locations I had looked at. I expected the cars to be closer to blue book for later year models.

Carmax Company Information