2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Carfax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: June 11, 2020

I found my present car through Carfax. Everything that was reported on the site was accurate. I even recommended the site to a few other people. Although the vehicle was used, it looked new and the dealership was as described.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have used Carfax for every vehicle I have bought in last 5 years and above all You have very detailed report of every service done to the vehicle. You will have a detailed report of all accidents including the repairs done involving any accidents and all recalls if they have been done or not.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I like the used car price history. Allows you to see how long they have had the vehicle which may help in negotiations. They let you know if the price is above/below market price. They let you know the options available on the vehicle. The history of said vehicle. Like service and accident. Things that you would want to know.

Original review: May 27, 2020

The best feature is the ability to use their Carfax reports to see the vehicles history, maintenance records, the number of owners and most importantly to me the area of the country that the vehicle has been in. I'm in the Desert in Arizona. I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle that has a history of being in a Northern state due to the possibility of it being a rust problem.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was very impressed with the info that I received and would tell anyone that is going to buy a used auto to go to Carfax and put in the info on the auto and see what it has listed on it. Very happy I did this.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I used all the other sites you listed but always came back to Carfax. The prices and information was always complete and factual. The website was always easy to maneuver and the pricing was always the best.

Original review: June 1, 2020

They showed a low price ($14999) but the crossover ended up costing over $22400. It's was at a Honda dealership on Rosa Parks in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm leary about using their site again I can understand up to $3000 extra but not over $7000.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Before purchasing a 17-year-old luxury sports car I decided to get a Carfax for $39.99, hoping that I could get some history on the vehicle. I put in my VIN # and received a very short report 1 page indicating that the car was owned by the dealer I was purchasing it from, no other information/history available. A few weeks later I received an email from Carfax asking me if I was interested in finding out the history of any vehicle. I put in the same VIN # and it told me there were 54 historical records available, but if I wanted a print out it would cost me another $39.99. I then went to two free sites AutoVin and AutoCheck and got free complete thorough reports! When I complained to Carfax via email I received an email indicating that a response will follow... well I never received a response... they are scammers! Don’t be fooled like I was! Don’t pay for a report you can get free of charge elsewhere!

Original review: May 5, 2020

Do not do business with this firm. As previous stated here by other reviews, I have also been taken by them. I went to buy ONE report, their page refreshed, and put 6 reports in my cart, and charged me $99.99. This is done by purpose by them, and is not an error easily made. I have contacted them twice, with no reply. I have asked my bank to do a charge back. And due to this, I have went to another company to check out a vehicle. Do not do business with this firm, as you will also been taken. If Carfax wants to do the proper thing here, my case number is #**. Otherwise, I will complain to BBB, Google reviews, and onward.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Stole $60.00 thru deception. Like so many other reviews, I too asked for a single $39.99 report and got billed $99/99. I placed 3 complaints through their website and got no reply other than a computer-generated note that they would get back to me. THEY DIDN'T. To make matters illegal, they sent a phony billing to my credit card company which contradicted the billing I have from them. Credit Card Companies will back the merchant's claim if they submit a billing, even if it was deliberately falsified. Stay away from them. There are other, more credible companies which don't advertise as much but are more honest and customer-friendly.

Carfax author review by Tom Rains

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carfax Company Information