Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Carfax Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Reading reviews after the fact, I realize I'm not the only one this has happened to, but I went to purchase a single report and the website hung, or glitched, or I don't know what happened, but it changed from a single report for $49 to the 6 for $99. So I was charged $99. They will not respond to e-mails. They will not supply a phone number. I've been trying for five days with not one response.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Bought a 2005 Mini Cooper and dealer failed to supply a copy of the Carfax, although I reviewed it. I went online to purchase my own so I had the history, and somewhere after selecting the option of one report for $39, the website refreshed or managed to get itself back to the $99 option as I completed my purchase. I immediately contacted Customer Service via the email portal and requested my billing be changed to reflect the one report price. After a week of replying daily to the email case that I received asking for some status, any status, I have given up. I will place a review though on this poor customer service on every review site I can find. Also will submit a BBB complaint. Do NOT expect this company to supply and customer service for your problem.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Carfax falsely reporting a wreck on my trucks Carfax. Really screws my chances of getting what my truck is worth now that I’m trying to sell it. Only way to dispute it is over email and they’ve 100% completely ignored me. They will reply to your comment saying they sent you a message. The message will say they’re looking into it but then again no response. Zero accountability for this company. You are guilty until proven innocent and It’s up to you to prove it. Garbage company...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Eye opening to learn that a Clean CarFax on a used vehicle means basically NOTHING. I purchased a low mileage 2006 Honda Pilot, by seeking info from the Last Honda Shop who serviced the vehicle to see if a Timing belt was changed, I come to learn that a Remanufactured Engine was put in. Nothing on the CarFax about this.. Eye opening. I feel this SHOULD have been reported.. Maybe not CarFax's fault.. But there needs to be MORE RULES about what is reported.. Timing Belts that can destroy an engine should be mandatory reporting and swapping engines should be reported also.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

CARFAX only allows five star reviews of its car dealers, and recommended Highline Imports LLC in Easton PA to us. Highline claimed to perform a state "safety-inspection" on the car my wife and I purchased from them --- and they put a state safety sticker on it --- but the car they sold us had a hole in the exhaust requiring $400 in exhaust repairs. It broke down our mechanic said because "it looked like no one ever changed the oil". The junk in the oil pan caused a camshaft sensor to be gucked up and the Oxygen sensor was burned out, costing another $600. This dealer is simply a licensed curbstoner, flipping dirt cheap used cars at high profit without doing a single thing to see that they are mechanically safe and in decent shape.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

DO NOT TRUST CARFAX. THEY KNOW IT IS MISSING INFO AND THEY DON'T MIND SINCE THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY ANYWAY. There were two wrecks on my "clean" carfax vehicle. Carfax nor the dealership will accept any responsibility. Carfax knows its data is untrustworthy - just read their disclaimer....

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Do not purchase a Carfax report. I was not able to get a report about a car I was purchasing and paid the $39.99. I requested a refund immediately and I have yet to hear anything about it. I have emailed the request twice with no results or answers. Thanks for stealing 40 dollars from me carfax. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I was emailed my car is overdue for emission test. Two hours out of my day and the car doesn’t need it. Per the emissions facility and the state of Illinois. Oil change needs to be done in 7 months. The car per manufacturer states every 6 months. Then the CarFax states the vehicle was way overdue for tire rotation. I get that done every 6 months. How is all of this possible. This is misleading to me and other consumers.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Carfax reported inaccurate frame damage on my vehicle and the value decreased by $6,000. You can't call them. I completed a form asking them to review it which they confirmed they received CASE#**. Nothing since. Total silence. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

My car was slightly damaged in a hit and run accident. The trunk lid was replaced making the car just like new. There was no accident report due to the low dollar amount for the repair. The police department, insurance company, and repair facility strongly denied any interaction with Carfax. Somehow the minor event ended up on the Carfax report and when I tried to sell the car, the offers made by online car buying companies were lowered by $1000 specifically because of the report of a repair having been made, without any specifics. After I repeatedly insisted, Carfax identified a "repair facility" as the source but the facility defended themselves and said that their reputation would have be severely damaged if it were known that they gave out such information.

When I contacted Carfax for more proof of the source, they then denied that "repair facility" actually meant "repair facility" so I could not take any further action. This has happened to others. Essentially, anyone who gets a minor scratch on their vehicle could lose thousands of dollars in value to their vehicles without any real value being lost. Carfax acts irresponsibly and I hope that a class action is brought against them in order to stop the harm they are causing to innocent people.

Carfax expert review by Tom Rains

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carfax Company Information