2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.73/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carfax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: March 29, 2021

Carfax provides the most up to date information on autos; a great site to research for buyers. You can also provide input and updates on your vehicle. Most auto dealers use, in fact dealers generally mention and recommend using Carfax for customers to check out used inventory. Carfax data on vehicles are almost always seen on auto dealer websites.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My salesman Todd ** Is a top notch salesman. His level of expertise is one of a kind. If you are looking for a newly used car Todd is your man! You can find Todd @ George’s used cars, located in Brownstown Michigan. Out of 5 stars I rate Todd a 6????

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have used Carfax for every vehicle I have bought in last 5 years and above all You have very detailed report of every service done to the vehicle. You will have a detailed report of all accidents including the repairs done involving any accidents and all recalls if they have been done or not.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I like the used car price history. Allows you to see how long they have had the vehicle which may help in negotiations. They let you know if the price is above/below market price. They let you know the options available on the vehicle. The history of said vehicle. Like service and accident. Things that you would want to know.

Original review: May 27, 2020

The best feature is the ability to use their Carfax reports to see the vehicles history, maintenance records, the number of owners and most importantly to me the area of the country that the vehicle has been in. I'm in the Desert in Arizona. I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle that has a history of being in a Northern state due to the possibility of it being a rust problem.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I’d give it 0 stars if I could. I’ve spent over a week now trying to get a false damage report on my vehicle removed. With provided proof that nothing was damaged. In August I had purchased a new GT4 bumper for my Porsche and had it installed not only did they report the date on 7/7 which is the incorrect date (it was installed on Aug 17th and quoted on 5/7). They also reported my car was damaged. I still own the original bumper which is in perfect condition and have the receipts from the shop not to mention am good friends with the owner of said shop.

Carfax still has not removed the false report. They say they are not reliable for false reports, however they are reliable for false reports when provided evidence proves otherwise. Not only is this now a defamation case it’s complete fraud. You can’t be the “standard” when it comes to accurate car history reporting and do fraud reporting claiming it’s not your fault. I urge everyone to never trust Carfax reports ever again. I can’t be the only one who has experienced this.

Original review: April 12, 2021

This is a great way to look at cars And another way to see what others are saying about the cars with the looks and process. This also helped me buy another car because it describes how it was going to work out.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I recently went online and purchased one report for one vehicle I was buying, debated about buying the package of three but I opted not to and just paid for the one. Well, a couple weeks later I looked at my bank statement and got charged for two separate, one report packages at $40 each and they will not respond. Seems like this is very common for them to overcharge people, this should be illegal and it’s a total scam. So many people are having similar problems of being overcharged and nothing is being done. I will NEVER buy another Carfax... EVER!!!

Original review: March 28, 2021

Their prices for trade in and new purchases are accurate. Their continued update on vehicle maintenance are very helpful. Use Carfax when considering a car change or when our children are considering a new car or pre-owned.

Original review: March 17, 2021

We have a small car dealership and I contacted Carfax for a quote for vehicle reports as we currently use Autocheck and were just curious if we could afford it. Sales rep Brandon ** was the one who contacted us. After trying to sell us on it before even giving us prices, he finally sent over the info. By this time we had been in contact on several calls and emails, which is beyond excessive. Finally I get the info. So for just 10 reports, we'd be paying what Autocheck is for unlimited reports. So obviously, not worth it for us.

I wrote him back an email that we can't afford that and thanks for his time. Again he emailed, and I said no. Next I received a call which I declined. Again I received a call the next day so I answered it rather than dodge this sales rep the rest of my career. I told him that I already stated that we can't afford it. He has the nerve to ask why I even contacted them, to which I responded because we wanted a price quote. He continued to grill me, at which point I said "Enough. Okay, I know what you're doing. I know it's your job to sell, but I already told you we can't afford it, and you're continuing to pester us. With all due respect, I'm not interested, thank you."

He continued talking and saying that we CAN afford their service, and obviously they're going to be better and more expensive than Autocheck. He went on and on even stating "With all due respect I AM NOT pestering you". I hung up on him. This level of disrespect with a company is disgraceful and I will continue to spread the word about it. This is the least professional company I have dealt with in my business.

Carfax author review by Emma Simon

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Carfax Company Information