4.0/5 (701 ratings)

About Carfax

Carfax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

I want a refund. I paid 45$ to find out it was in an accident I knew about, that report wasn't even right. It said 0$, and gave no information. When in fact the entire bumper was replaced through the third party insurance. It showed another accident prior to me owning it, AGAIN NO INFORMATION other than which side of the vehicle it was and how much. Then it also said one owner, which I am the second owner and purchased it through a dealership. I'm super frustrated and feel like I got scammed into spending money. Not to mention people are upset because they don't have any detailed information.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

Anyone with issues should take them to arbitration as they will cover the costs to do so if it is under $25,000 claim. It's as simple as sending in a form and a check upfront and they will be forced into having a 3rd party review the information. Carfax pulls data from 3rd parties and does not fact check it. Had a car that received a paint estimate and they reported as "damage"! They require everything through email instead of any phone support. They "checked" with their 3rd party and said it was correct.

Could not provide me with any information as to what was damaged, where, who reported it etc. Weird because it is a car that I never drive and sits in the garage so I would definitely remember if something happened. It dawned on me that I had an estimate for a full vehicle repaint done and sent that to them to show. They then changed it to vehicle needs refinishing. Car had absolutely nothing wrong outside of normal paint chips from a 15 year old car that I was interested in having fixed.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2022

It keeps saying I've missed services or they're past due. I've manually entered them many times but they never seem to record them and keeps sending me emails that service is past due. Trying to report the problem on the website doesn't seem to help either.

Original review: July 16, 2022

We opened up a buyer pay here 20 years ago. We never had to use Carfax once at our lot. We opened up another dealership about 7 years ago that was selling more expensive vehicles and we needed to get carfax. We did need to get it for the dealership that was selling the more expensive inventory and not doing the buyer. When they found out we had another dealership they started charging $350 a month when we were never using it at our buyer pay here lot.

After the last 2 years of a horrible economy we decided to sell both dealerships. We sold our other dealership selling the more expensive inventory that we used carfax at and they held the new owner hostage for us to pay 3 months of Carfax that we never used for the other car lot that has a different product and name. For 7 years we paid 5 to $700 a month and always had our payment on time auto pay. Carfax is a horrible company that only cares about their bottom line. Their reports are garbage and show very little. You would be better offer paying $10 for auto check. Terrible company and they go up on rates whenever they feel like it no matter what we (the customer) thought about it.

Original review: June 30, 2022

States that can't they can't remove something that they listed on my report as false and says to contact the police dept to have them remove the info, they've been provided with pictures and a document from my insurance company. Still wants to say they can't do anything - which is **. According to my insurance company this shows as object fail not an accident and yet they are still not comprehending that or maybe they are not paying attention to what has been sent to them, as Bianca (Carfax) wants to argue back and forth. Not helpful, zero stars should be able to be given.

Original review: June 28, 2022

So I have an accident showing on my Carfax report. Not a huge deal, mistakes happen, what is super annoying is there is no one to call. You have to email them and they "will get back to you as soon as possible." I am urgently needing to sell my car, but potential buyers think it has been in an accident which it has not.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Carfax listed an accident on my vehicle history report that never happened. They can provide no details related to this accident, including location or the authority that reported the accident. Despite providing them with two history reports from Autocheck and Bumper that show a clean vehicle history, and a letter of experience from my insurance company at that time showing I had no claims for that vehicle, they refuse to remove the fake accident. This will potentially cost me tens of thousands of dollars in diminished value as this is an exotic sports car. Carfax provides no phone number, no full names or contact information for their representatives. This is a terrible company to deal with, in my opinion, and no organization should have the ability to affect someone financially without providing supporting information that backs their claim.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

50% or more the reports we do are wrong, inaccurate, and have false information! Amvic requires us to pull a Carfax on each vehicle we sell! Yet very often carfax claims there is no liens when there actually is, They say vehicles are active when they are not, also they claim to refund you if they are wrong about a lien search! (Vehicle has a lien but car proof doesn't show it). Yet they won't refund anything. They just give you the runaround! And this is not just 1 or 2 reports I have this problem with! It's a regular occurrence! Go to registries and pay 10$ for a report people! The 50$ report from carfax is useless.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I enjoy the fact that I can pick and choose cars according to different criteria. I am able to see cars within my zip codes and other zip codes. This is the best car app to buy or get general information about cars.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Bought Carfax report for car bought in EU. Report cost 15E and there was just information about 2 years of car history. The car is now 24 years old. I will never buy this report again. The information was worthless.

Carfax author review by Emma Simon

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Carfax Company Information