Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

666 Carfax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2019

I am a small pre-owned car dealer. At the time of the incident, I was paying Carfax approx. $300/$400 a month for their service. The car I bought was bought from a Chrysler Manufacture sale and had been in a minor front end collision. The paperwork from Chrysler showed where the damaged totaled just shy of $1,200. The car was announced at the sale with previous minor damage. $1,200 dollars these days is minor. Chrysler did not misrepresent the car. We were okay with what had happened. It was sold fixed and a detailed repair bill in hand.

I placed the car on my lot and lost 3 sales and ended up losing $900 on the car because Carfax had the car labeled as a possible salvage title. I called Carfax, sent documents and they would never change it and with all due respect, there are enough people out there who are so misinformed and believe what Carfax says is the sole truth. I quit my subscription and never given a dime to them since. They are a rip-off and very misleading they have done and excellent. So, consumer and dealer beware.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Bought a used Honda CRV from an Acura Dealership, they showed me the CARFAX and it was owned by a woman who never drove it and it had 17,000 km on it. When I was looking for a new car one year later, the CARFAX said I was the THIRD Owner? I called the dealership back and they said they couldn't comment on something that happened a year ago. What??? Then I spoke to him later on and he said he just doesn't understand what happened but that maybe it was a lease situation. What does that mean, and he did not know.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Purchased a vehicle with a Carfax report which indicated no structural damage. 4 months after I purchased it I tried to trade for another. The report output 4 months later indicated structural damage to the vehicle occurred 8 months prior to my purchase. When I questioned Carfax via online chat the representative essentially responded that it is not their problem and I should seek out a 3rd party resolution service or check with my state's DMV about disclosure laws.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My 2014 370z Nissan was in car accident on 06/27/2018. My Carfax says structural damage on 06/29/2018. My car title say none on the car salvage. I would like this mistake on my Carfax corrected. It should read total loss not structural damage. Please correct my Carfax as it should read Total Loss of vehicle 2014 Nissan 370z.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have used this business and paid for services, and also disputed their results both as a car seller and buyer. They are at best inconsistent. Their claim to fame is collecting data from department of motor vehicles; however when questioned, on their buyback guarantee then they can't be sure of the validity of their sources. On top that their consumer affairs after reneging on their buyback policy, because my car was listed as a 1 owner, lease; when the registration I have in my possession, says it was a RENTAL/FLEET VEHICLE. Completely different animal when CARFAX claims that it was a clean car, when it was a MANUFACTURER BUYBACK, THAT WAS THEN AUCTIONED OFF TO ONE OF ITS CERTIFIED CHEVY DEALERS to sell a car that was damaged, with no predelivery checks as documented a requirement by CHEVY; and manufacturer then refusing to fix vehicle under warranty because of fleet status.

I have paid for their services, only to find that they are inconsistent with their information whether the dealership pays for it or I do. They allow dealers to alter information, even though they deny it, but more than one dealership has told me they have editing capabilities, specifically a Chevy dealership in downtown Ft Lauderdale. Primarily because their Carfax showed it was a rental and he didn't pay attention to it until I called him out on it. So to me it is very sketchy that this company gets so much hype when I have three cases, that they didn't respond to - only told me to register with mycarfax and then did nothing until I copy and pasted their chat, then a supervisor reached out and basically called me the idiot for trusting their information and buying the vehicle

"Good Afternoon Kimberly, My name is Justin and I am the Supervisor for Consumer Affairs. I was notified of your previous live chat today. Looking at the cases you've submitted as well as your chat with Karen, it appears that there was a misunderstanding about our Buyback Guarantee. Ownership records including type of ownership (lease, rental, personal etc.) are provided by the DMV when on file and CARFAX only displays what is electronically submitted. We don't decide what ownership history. Despite your previous claims in chat, Not just anyone can change a CARFAX Report as they see fit. We have a process by which someone who wants to change a Report must submit authorization to us. At that time, we make efforts to go back to the primary source of information. If an error is found, sure a Report is corrected, but we decide to make that correction. Not a dealer. Not a source. Not just anyone.

Regardless, this doesn't qualify. You're not describing any missed Title Brand by CARFAX at all. You're referencing ownership details about the vehicle. Keep in mind also that CARFAX never told you to buy the vehicle. A CARFAX Report never makes purchase recommendations. Every CARFAX Report including the one you relied on states that ownership information is estimated based on what we know about the vehicle. We do not collect owner names or addresses so we can only go by what the DMV submits to us. While we understand that you may have made a different decision at the time, CARFAX only purports to provide the information that we have on the vehicle based on reporting sources at the time you run the Report. There is no guarantee that more information won't be known later, nor is there a guarantee of all information. This is because we know not all sources choose to work with us. Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns for me. Justin, Supervisor- Consumer Affairs, CARFAX"

However my carfax guarantee is dated 10.06.18 ending on 10/06/19 and their guarantee warranties on DMV information provided; which from date of order, from GM fleet; shows the vehicle was ordered as fleet, delivered as fleet; registered and insured as fleet, but all of a sudden DMV Florida doesn't show it as rental even though I have the record of registration of rental and insurance card. So everyone else recognizes this car as a used rental except for Carfax who conveniently changed the ownership from fleet to 1 owner; which wouldn't impact the value greatly? Hmmm???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I was sold a vehicle that was one of their certified vehicles (a Land Rover Discovery Sport that had been wrecked). I had the vehicle inspected after arriving back in Santa Fe, the car is black but dark blue replacement parts along with black parts that were painted and not matching the original body color. The dealership has been informed but they will not correct any of the problems. Carfax is a total lie. My opinion, they are crooks!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My son purchased a used F250 truck in Texas. The Carfax was clean. It reported one owner. We thought we had a good truck. It was very evident it was in a flood. The Carfax did not report this. He was going to purchase another used truck. Same thing, clean Carfax and the two trucks we looked at were from Houston and were flood trucks. Buyer beware, Carfax does not report this.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Bought a 2014 slightly used car in 2014 with 5000 miles on it. Carfax was clear of ANY damage. I was gonna trade it in in 2018 but was told the car had been wrecked according to Carfax. So at some point AFTER I received the clean Carfax these idiots marked my car as wrecked with safety concerns by the 1st owner. I had no option but to let them take it to auction. The money I would have used to trade with is now gone. Carfax can take their so called service and stick it. It is worthless, I will refuse to use their crap service. There are other services out there. How they are still the go to for car reports is freaking ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I just learned that a common scam with Carfax is reporting accidents that never happened. We are trying to trade in our 2018 Kia Sorrento. It is a lease car. Like so many others, that’s when we found out Carfax shows it has been in an accident. This is completely false information. About three months ago, my husband called me at work to make sure I was alright because our insurance contacted him about an accident claim. The supposed accident happened in a town two hours away. I told my husband that I was at work, and walked out and snapped a photo of our car in the parking lot. The insurance company questioned us...how did they know we hadn’t rushed and repaired the car, they asked my husband. Are you kidding? How did they know it was in an accident...there were no photos, no police report, basically no proof.

Insurance told us the license and vin matched the accident report! We went round and round with our insurance, and thought this was taken care of. It was not. The “accident” and damage is on the Carfax report. Currently, our insurance is working with us to help dispute the claim, but we will likely have to get an attorney. There is no police report, no name, only a claim number! Our insurance says the report to Carfax was not done by them, so they aren’t able to remove it. The moral is that anyone can make up or steal your Vin and insurance information, and file an accident report on you, and it is up to the victim to dispute and remove the false information. What a great way to cost us thousands of dollars in vehicle value! Carfax is a huge scam and should be ignored.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Carfax can only tell you what they are told by car dealers... For example; dealer reports that vehicle had to have an electrical check when in reality the system shorted out. But they don't tell Carfax that. Dealers were, and are what they will always be; sneaks. By looking at my vehicle report, you wouldn't recognize it as my car. Carfax did a good job but they can only report what they're told.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Company is very expensive and does not have accurate information when it comes to used vehicles. They want you to pay big dollars to list your used cars for sale. I listed my brand new truck for sale with a clean title that I had, next thing you know I go online to look at my truck. The ad stated total loss vehicle. I had called Carfax. They had requested that I faxed my title to them. Lo and behold next day Carfax states they would not remove the total loss brand and they proceeded to state that you can still have a clean title and the vehicle be a total loss. Are you kidding me? This truck was never ever in a accident at all. Everyone be smart and save your money. Have your mechanic go over your next vehicle. Carfax is a 3rd party who knows nothing about used cars. They collect data that's all they do. Lotta times it's inaccurate. Beware Carfax is a Scam!!!! Be smart consumers. Save your money!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I opened a case (case no. **) with Carfax about a week ago when I was trying to sell my car and found out a damage reported on my car back in March 01, 2016. I leased out my 2015 Mazda CX-5 on Dec 6th 2014 from McDonald Mazda in CO and have been driving it since then. Serviced it on time every six months and kept it in meticulously. With growing family I planned to sell it and buy something bigger. To my surprise I found out a damage reported back in 2016. So I opened up a case with Carfax to which they responded that the report came from a trusted source and they cannot disclose who it is. All they can say is that it was a frontal damage and nothing else. They say "Damage can be a result of many different types of events. Examples include contact with objects (other cars, trees, traffic signs, road debris, etc), vandalism, reconditioning, or weather-related events."

This is something unacceptable since I am the only owner and have never given anyone else to drive it. And I know for sure that nothing ever happened to it ever since I have owned it. Don't know what I can do to correct the mistake they made on my report. What could possibly have happened is someone else's car was damaged and by mistake my VIN got entered by whoever reported. Suggestions are requested.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner. The top was damaged when a limb fell on it from a storm. I turned the claim into USAA insurance and had the work done by Caliber Collision on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville, Florida. The truck was returned to me and looked great. After a while I decided to upgrade to a new Tacoma. Imagine my surprise when I was told the Carfax stated that the vehicle had "structural" damage and that this would lower the value by $5000. After researching this I can not determine whom stated it had that damage. The repair facility claims they had not stated structural damage and USAA also claims they did not. No one wishes to accept responsibility for this and I just have to "suck it up". Let me explain, that when I feel put upon by a large company that will not "do the right thing" I become very determined. Should this not be corrected in what I feel is a reasonable amount of time it will escalate.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My truck was hit in a parking lot. I have Geico Insurance and took it a Body Shop approved by Geico, ACE Auto Body, Fort Collins, CO. I went to sell the truck to Dellenbach Chevrolet in Fort Collins, CO. They showed us that on Carfax that it shows that my truck has Structural Damage. I called ACE and they claimed there is no Structural damage and they do not ever report anything to Carfax. I called Geico and they claim that they never report anything to Carfax. I notified Carfax and they claim that an entry (in their view is structural damage).

I asked who reported this and they are not and will not let me know who reported it. I want to know to see who is lying or if the entry is being reported wrong. My truck is taking a hit of -$10k for Structural Damage. Both Geico & ACE swear that neither one reported! Carfax is holding information that I feel should be revealed to me because I am losing money from a sale on my truck that I don't feel I should not because of false reporting.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I went on the website as a guest and requested a report for a vehicle. As soon as a put in the credit card information a error message came up. My card was charged immediately. I requested a refund and was never contacted. I chatted with a customer service rep because that was the only way they could be contacted which I think is inconvenient. They basically said they see the transaction but could like give the refund and the I needed to call my bank and the tech department.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Carfax is the number one reporting tool used by all dealerships. As a monopoly they have a responsibility to report Accurate information. We purchased a vehicle with a clean Carfax so we thought. Until we brought it in as a trade in & were offered a 1/3 of its worth. Imagine our surprise when we were told the Jeep had two previous accidents & Carfax just started reporting them three months ago. The accidents happened back in 2013. I would have never made the purchase If the correct facts were reported. So, who regulates this dysfunctional company? Who is responsible for compensation against their negligence? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Paid for report for 2008 Lexus RX400h. SAVE YOUR MONEY. No mention of repairs/parts replacements that 2 differently employed reputable mechanics said were replaced parts. This was battery for ABS system. Not a small replacement. No details about prior accident save date. Just a “nothing report”. Typical entry “vehicle serviced” with date. No details. Really. SAVE THE MONEY. DO NOT FALL PREY TO CARFAX $$ report. It is sooo NOT worth it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was given notice that my Carfax report was updated and I decided to give it a look. I noticed several entries that were incorrect... Maintenance done and tire pressure checked in April 2018 at Ford dealer, mileage 65,201... Fast forward to November 2018, again I had service done at Ford dealer and mileage was 65,205, problem is my car was NOT at the dealer on those dates and did not have anything done by the dealer. I simply called about the airbag recall and somehow the dealer and Carfax turned that into false information. Hey, personally I don't mind all the "free" maintenance that shows up on my carfax report, but I would never EVER pay for a Carfax report as it is usually filled with wrong info.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We applied to refinance our Dodge Challenger SRT, limited edition Plum Crazy Purple through our credit union. The loan application was quick and easy, but then we got notified by the other credit union that the pay-off check did not go through. We then called our credit union and asked why the pay-off check (after being approved) did not go through. They said it was their policy not to approved red flagged cars on Carfax report. Well we read the report which flagged our car as "Severely damaged."

We then called the dealership, Colorado Springs Dodge and talked to the District Manager. He said that there were no severe damage to the car and faxed us a report they pull up from AutoCheck. He said the car had a little scrape, cost a $1000 to fix the rear quarter scratch/dent, but frame has been intact. He said the title is clean and that the dealership does not sell severely damaged cars. So due to this mistake on the Carfax report, we went through a lot of frustration and lost our refinancing. Of course I wrote to the credit union to tell them not to use Carfax!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The description of the Nissan Rogue I purchased through Carfax was not correct. Carfax said the mileage was 945, this turned out to be the last mileage on the last road trip the prev owner took. Also Carfax said there were no recalls. Turns out there is a major recall on this vehicle. I regret going thru Carfax. I have to make sure to get everything taken care of...unless I trade it in. Very disappointed with Carfax!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I just got my truck out of the mechanic like 3 days ago. Running smooth. When I was driving to Carfax my husband and I were like wow, it’s running really smooth. Tell me why??? When we got it back drove back home because they offered us 1,000. It was making a funky sound. I really do think they did something to my truck. Oh and by the way they tried to say that the car had a accident in 2009. BS!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Accident was very minor... Someone clipped/tweaked the external hinge of my 2014 Ram Promaster's rear door. I filed an insurance claim. The insurance co. gave me a check for $675.00 to replace the hinge. Took the van to a dealer recently, contemplating a trade. Dealer runs a CarFax report which indicates "Major front/side/rear damage"! I showed the dealer the hinge, but he still refused to believe me, and declined my trade. CarFax is nothing but inaccurate, unreliable information. Where is the class-action lawsuit?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Carfax information is not always correct. They said our vehicle had a serious accident in 2005. Because of their inaccurate information our trade in value went down to $500.00. When we tried to correct the error Carfax was of no help and we had to go out and try to find out where they got their information from. They do not have a phone number so you can not talk to a real person. I actually had to go on the internet to find out where this Bear Creek Township was where they said we had the accident. If you are buying a vehicle, selling one, or trading one in, do not believe the information you are given on their site. Beware of Carfax. You may not be given the correct information.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I spend my money for an inaccurate report. The whole basis of your business is to give car buyers pertinent and reliable information in order to make an informed decision when buying a car. I purchased the car based on your report. After I purchased the car I ran the free VIN report and it contained 5 RECALLS which CARFAX listed NONE and a service call for transmission issue. It's also is NOT on CARFAX. I had to replace the entire transmission within 3 weeks. After spending several thousands of dollars on a new transmission and rental car, CARFAX didn't think that was worthy of a $60 refund. If you going to sell information you need to make sure it's accurate. Furthermore CARFAX is the most expensive VIN check report and the least accurate. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have a truck with a "clean" title. Carfax reports it as a total loss. In order to submit a protest/complaint their form required me to agree to terms of service that gave up my rights to hold them responsible for errors. It is impossible to talk to them on the phone and the Chat service was a total waste. She just told me to submit a complaint. My experience is that CARFAX is unreputable and unreliable plus they have really bad customer service. I only gave them one star as it is not possible to give no stars.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My vehicle has been meticulously maintained since it was purchased new in 2006. None of that information was reported in the "Carfax". When I sent them the copies of the service records I was told that the dealer that did the maintenance doesn't participate in the "myCARFAX" program therefore they were not authorized to include them in the report.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Went to trade my F-150 and dealer pulls CarFfax and tells me it shows 11900 on a damage report. Damage was in fact 6109 and was only rear fender dent. Fender had to be replaced because it was rippled slightly. No structural damage, all cosmetic. I got the correct information from the insurer and sent it to Carfax to have the damage amended to the correct amount. They actually argued that the report only showed scratches and no major damage even though I had it right in front of me. 2 days worth of e-mails and 'help is on the way" sent to me many times from them we are nowhere.

This is a useless organization and should be dealt with in the courts. I strongly suggest if you are having trouble with this company. Take them to small claims court and get compensation and damages. I have hammered them on Facebook as well. This has got to stop. If you are an American, write to your Congressman or Senator. Canadians call the Provincial Ministry of Consumer Affairs. Have a lawyer harass them and sue them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought an expensive used truck in July of 2017 with a clean one owner perfect Carfax. I had some service work done on the truck in August of 2018 and decided I might be considering trading it in for a different Model A year later only to find out that on the Carfax report it showed that there was "damage" to the rear from some unlisted source reported in July 2017 only 3 days after I bought my truck! When discovering this of course I thought it was a mistake but CarFax said no that the company that reported it just began to report these incidents in April of 2018 and so basically I'm out of luck and the value of my truck is less because of this information.

Digging deeper I find out that they will not release the name of the reporting agency nor will they release the information of what was damaged. So as a consumer I am left with it no information on how I am supposed to address this issue. So the truck is valued at $5,000 less because of this information that I knew nothing about when I purchased it. I'm working with the dealership now, and I'm hoping that they will assist me and working through this problem.

But it's very frustrating and I think it's a scam for innocent consumers when they think they're buying something that is clear and find out later that they're going to be offered less money because now it's not clear somebody needs to hold responsibility for that or at least help the consumer find a way to find out what the information is so they have a better way of handling the issue when they turn it in as a trade in or sell it privately. This is very very dishonest and I feel ripped off! If CarFax is a creditable Company they need to assist the consumer not shut them down. This is how I feel that I am being handed. What rights does this consumer have?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Jan. 2018 ordered one auto report, was charged for six. ($100). Made an email complaint (no phone contact possible) and was refunded the $60. Sept. 2018 ordered another single report and was billed for ($100). Made request and was refunded $60. This all came about because Carfax has you choose a single report but defaults to the most expensive without your knowledge. After putting in my credit card info, they then go to the billing page telling you what they charged to your card.

This causes the back & forth for a refund. On seeing this higher charge, I DID NOT hit the Order selection and initiated the refund request. They charged my card the $100. Received an email saying I had received one refund in Jan. and they only allow 1 a year per person or family. End result; no Carfax report. This smells like a scam and their billing sequence is backwards from any I've found on the net. All others have a "Cart" which shows what you've bought and the price; then ask for card info. First time, shame on you; second time, shame on me. NEVER AGAIN... BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Carfax is a joke. Seems everyone has the same issue. I bought a truck in September 2017. I recently tried to trade it in and they offered 5k less because "damage" was reported December 2017. I owed the truck and I reported no damage. The truck is perfect. They only deal with people through email. I got their number from using the old school 411. I have contacted the BBB. Hopefully they can help us all out. When I called Carfax number a very, very rude woman answers. She must be embarrassed working for Carfax. I asked to speak to the president Richard Raines. He was available but she asked what's it concerning and she said he will not speak with me. I'm at a 5k loss with Carfax. I see over 600 negative reviews on this company. It would be nice if we can all get together and sue the crap out of them.

Carfax Company Information