2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.71/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Carfax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Carfax cannot (does not) tell you that the "executive demonstrator" you are thinking of purchasing was actually a dealer lease vehicle, and also served as a loaner. And if the vehicle is damaged and repaired by the dealership Carfax would also not have that information.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I found my present car through Carfax. Everything that was reported on the site was accurate. I even recommended the site to a few other people. Although the vehicle was used, it looked new and the dealership was as described.

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have used Carfax for every vehicle I have bought in last 5 years and above all You have very detailed report of every service done to the vehicle. You will have a detailed report of all accidents including the repairs done involving any accidents and all recalls if they have been done or not.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I like the used car price history. Allows you to see how long they have had the vehicle which may help in negotiations. They let you know if the price is above/below market price. They let you know the options available on the vehicle. The history of said vehicle. Like service and accident. Things that you would want to know.

Original review: May 27, 2020

The best feature is the ability to use their Carfax reports to see the vehicles history, maintenance records, the number of owners and most importantly to me the area of the country that the vehicle has been in. I'm in the Desert in Arizona. I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle that has a history of being in a Northern state due to the possibility of it being a rust problem.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

In the market for a 2015 Jeep I purchased a Carfax report before making my decision on the purchase. This Jeep had a clean slate according to the report from Carfax. Fast forward to beginning of the year my car started acting up and having problems. Thinking this is a simple tune up issue I visit my local Autozone. It was to my surprise that when the vehicle was inspected that the gentlemen at Autozone asked me if I was involved in an accident. The moment he said these words my heart dropped. I explained to them that I just recently purchased this vehicle 45 days ago after seeing a clean history reported by Carfax.

The mechanic at Autozone proceeded to show me the structural damage and modifications that were done to my Jeep. I was in complete disbelief at this point in time. I did my due diligence.. How did this happen? I started searching online for resources that will show auction history so I could potentially trace back what happened. Well... I did find the website and got the unfortunate news in the auction data that came back up on the vehicle report. The jeep had been smashed and sold at an auction. See the report below which I have included. How does Carfax not have such vital information? I have yet to receive answers. **

After reading reviews online I have come to a general understanding that CarFax is too big to care. Credit card companies side with them as they provide "billing" -- their pages are designed in a way for you to opt for multiple vehicle report packages. The fact that the report you've overpaid for will now expire in 30 days and be inaccessible. You'll now need to purchase it again. I have contact Carfax in 3 separate instances and even used my wife's email thinking it's something wrong with my inbox! BUYERS BEWARE

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I ordered one Carfax report for one vehicle for $39.99, and I was charged $99.99 without knowing it. Until I checked my credit card. I disputed the charges from my credit card company. As a result, I received $50 credit back from carfax and it was supposed to be $60.00 I resubmitted for dispute, I want my $10 credit back! I have lost confidence in how they do business. Very dishonest and unprofessional. I will never want to deal with this company.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I purchased a Carfax report for my vehicle to show to potential buyers. I could view the report for about 5 minutes and it eventually disappeared from my account. Never received an email to be able to share the report and potentially lost a lot of buyers. Still waiting on Carfax to contact me so I can at least get my money back, but doesn’t seem like that will be happening either. Can’t believe this site is getting away with such horrible service!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I will never trust Carfax again or recommend anyone to believe any info from them. I had a 2015 Jeep, original owner, carfax kept saying it was involved in accidents. It never was, I contacted carfax over a year ago, submitted all of my insurance papers, multiple emails with them and they still haven't fixed the reports. Do not believe their reports, they are fabricated.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I was involved in an rear end collision resulting in front end damage to my vehicle. CarFax reported there was “structural damage” which was inaccurate and only corrected after my appeal and my having to produce repair records to prove my claim. This took months to resolve and resulted in a dramatic reduction in the vehicle’s trade in value. I contacted repair shop and insurance company - neither claimed they gave info to CarFax. I would not rely on their reporting in the future.

Carfax author review by Tom Rains

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carfax Company Information