Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.71/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

685 Carfax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I ordered Carfax report for my vehicle which I placed for sale, and I paid $39.99 through PayPal as they asked for. Once I received statement from PayPal, I noticed that I was charged $99.99. I brought it up to PayPal and my credit card company and finally was corrected to $39.99 without Carfax attempt to correct their mistake. I noticed that during ordering process of the report, Carfax website was maneuvering me to some unnecessary repeating sites which I suspect it was part of their purposeful act in order to confuse the customer.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I've tried to submit name and email address. They keep saying it's wrong. I've tried 5 times. I think they just don't want to hear about the mistakes they make on reports. I've come to the conclusion that they're just full of ** and don't want to deal with people's complaints!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I made a request on Sept. 3rd in the am, currently no response or claim #. Provided supporting documentation to correct falsely reported frame damage. Correcting bad data should be a top priority for CARFAX. This becomes a credibility issue for CARFAX. CARFAX reports frame damage when a car bumped into quarter panel in paring lot. Truly cosmetic damage. Provided full work report from auto body shop, plus written signed statement from auto body facility. This seems to be a theme with CARFAX. Class Action needs to be pursued.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I will be contacting my attorney so if anybody wants to send me their info to ** so we can file a lawsuit please do so with all info. I have owned my Porsche 911 since 2016. Carfax is reporting a "frame damage". NO ACCIDENTS. i spoke with my insurance who has no knowledge of any damage, i spoke with police in California who has no info on any damage. Finally I went to Porsche in Newport Beach California to inspect my vehicle. Service and sale manager looked at my car, top and bottom on a lift in service department and they noted NO DAMAGE. Carfax is ignoring my emails since February of 2019. To trade in my vehicle I would be losing roughly $30,000 and I will be seeking damages worth of $30,000. - Already filed a complaint in BBB. if anybody has any open case, suggestions or suit against carfax please let me know!!! This has to END!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Carfax is a joke! Recently attempted to trade my vehicle and they pulled a Carfax. They told me it was in an accident. Said no, it was never in an accident. They told me it was in an accident 3 years before I bought the vehicle but wasn’t reported until a year AFTER I bought the vehicle. If you’re gonna report accidents 4 years late what the hell is the point. Don’t rely solely on Carfax, it may be all lies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Like many others, was charged for 6 reports when I wanted 1. Apparently the order defaults to six at the very end of the order. Misleading and a cheap trick. They have no phone # and customer service ignored 6 emails. Will have to dispute with credit card company. I really needed 1 of the reports, but did not get it for fear of being charged for 6.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I contacted CARFAX to let them know they were missing vital and pertinent information on the report I bought and they said essentially too bad you got your report and we are keeping your money! I replied no problem-I will login to my credit card and a few minutes later I had my money back!!! If you just want to check the title on a vehicle google "National Motor Vehicle Title Information System" and select a provider. It will only cost you $8-10.

It seems CARFAX is more concerned with getting your $$$ than providing an accurate report and what was most disappointing to me is that they wouldn't admit they were missing vital information and refund my money! Think twice before using CARFAX, especially if you are mainly concerned about the title history-there is a much cheaper, more accurate, and easier way to get the info you need to buy with peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

My car was involved in a accident and sustained minor damage to the right front corner of the vehicle. Carfax reported damage to the right front, front, and right side which was incorrect. Carfax also reported structural damage which did not happen. The false Carfax report has destroyed the value of my vehicle. The report was generated from the local police department who has a cozy relationship with Carfax via the crashdoc.org website. I have a copy of the police report which does not state any of the false Carfax information from the subject accident.

When I contacted the police department they deny reporting the false information. Carfax is all but impossible to communicate with unless you are buying a report from them and they want to take your money. Carfax is gaining financially from all of these reports at the expense of unsuspecting car owners who are not notified of the false reporting on their vehicles Carfax report. This crap needs to stop. This company needs to be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I was at a dealship trying to trade my truck in on a new one. The dealership/Rep came out with a Carfax report. The report state my truck had damage on the report stating "structural damage reported": I had a minor incident to the right rear quarter panel but repaired at a local insurance approved body repair shop I have used for 40 years. I did not disagree with damage but it shoud have read "minor damage repaired" nowhere was the damage to frame or any other parts of the structure of the truck.

I have documentation from insurance, body shop, etc, in writing to verify this. The reporting co. Was Lexusnexis that reported it. Unable to get anyone to change the info so far. Only been able to submit info online. No one to talk with!! "Upsetting". This has cost me 12k+ in value of my truck plus several deals that I tried to make with this report on the trucks history.. Mike "I like tools in the tool box that help me do my job! But is only good if the tools/Info are accurate and true"!!!

Original review: July 9, 2019

I attempted to purchase a single Carfax report for a used car I was interested in buying. Once payment was submitted I received a receipt for their most expensive 6 report bundle, which I did not select. There is no customer support number for Carfax and they have not responded to any of my requests for refund. I'm now forced to file a report with my credit card company. Very poor/unethical business practices at Carfax.

Carfax expert review by Tom Rains

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

Profile picture of Tom Rains
Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carfax Company Information