1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

620 Carfax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

CARFAX reported that there was structural damage done to my vehicle from an accident. This is completely false information as there was zero damage to the frame or unibody of my vehicle yet they still incorrectly reported this as an issue with my vehicle. I did not know until last week when it was pointed out to me by someone interested in my car. I have been trying to sell this vehicle for over a month unaware that CARFAX had done this and consequently I have lowered the price of my vehicle by $3k because I was getting very little responses which I blame on CARFAX incorrectly listing damages to my vehicle. I will lose $3k from selling my vehicle which is how much below the value Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book suggests the car is worth based on the features and condition of my vehicle.

I have sent them several emails, called and tried to get help via chat and they have never responded. They report false information and when the I repeatedly tried to contact them to get that information corrected with documentation including a letter from the repair facility, a complete report of the work done that does not show any frame or unibody damages, photos of the damage to my vehicle and a police report they still will not respond. If you have this happen to you take them to small claims court and you will win if you can provide the proper documentation. It is a fairly simple process to file your complaint with your local county court and very inexpensive as well.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased a vehicle from an auction. The auction uses Auto Check. Auto Check reported no fraudulent activity, so they did not announce anything about mileage discrepancy. The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) also listed nothing fraudulent. CARFAX, however, listed mileage rollback fraud. The issue was that whoever did the inspection in January 2016 input the wrong mileage. Anyone with a brain can see that this was a simple human error and nothing fraudulent. Why would anyone roll the odometer forward from 85k miles to 178k miles back to 85k miles? CARFAX notes this as odometer fraud preventing me from selling my vehicle for the fair market price.

I tried to contact CARFAX and the only phone number listed is the dealer account customer service number. I called because this does have something to do with dealer issues. The man was rude. Once I told him I was working through a dealership but had no account with CARFAX he got completely rude and impatient with me. He impatiently asked if I was on a computer.

Then he told me I had to chat with the online chat help, but they probably would not be able to help me either and then he hung up the phone. I go the chat route and the person on there is no real help. She says I have to fill out a data research form and then someone will contact me within 10-15 business days. This is costing me several hundred dollars! I want to sell this vehicle now. I have a buyer now. The buyer doesn't want to pay my asking price (which is actually lower than any rough book price), because he won't be able to retail it on his lot because of the fraudulent report on CARFAX.

CARFAX is not the be all, end all of vehicle reports. It is frequently WRONG! They need to seriously consider making some changes to their business model, or maybe the algorithm that's used to create these reports. Plus, get a phone line to help people. Help people in a timely manner. No one wants to wait weeks to fix something that can be done in 5 minutes. The online chat person said that they have a lot of discrepancies to work through and can't decide who's more important, so they don't expedite anything. Here's a thought... Don't screw up so much. Your workload will be much less! DON'T TRUST CARFAX. THEY MAKE TOO MANY ERRORS. SO ANNOYED and FRUSTRATED.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have a car for sale in which was involved in a car vs deer accident. I had a buyer until they pulled the Carfax report that stated the airbag deployed. I contacted my insurance company to ask why this was reported. They pull the claim and told me they hadn't reported that and that they would send me proof that the airbag never deployed. I contact Carfax by email because that's the only way to communicate with them. I was informed that they got their information from a police report. I asked for a copy in which they stated they didn't have and needed me to get a copy and send to them before the correction could be made. They stated that the information from my insurance company wasn't good enough.

I call and ask about the report which is from 2016 and guess what, it wasn't reported that the airbags deployed. They lie and assume to get their information. How do you report on a police report that you don't have and need a copy of. This is unacceptable, they cost me the sale of my car. I believe they should be held responsible for false information.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased Carfax before I bought a vehicle a few years ago. I ran a number of vehicles through before I found one I was willing to take a chance on. What a mistake. I travelled a long distance for the vehicle and ended up purchasing it. Much to my chagrin, the title had been salvaged in Ohio. The truck purchased by a used car dealer in Michigan who posed as an independent party on Craigslist. The title was not a salvage title in Michigan. The frame was badly rusted.

Almost one year to date of purchase the rear axle de-attached from frame while travelling on Interstate 90 in rush hour traffic, far left lane, on blind curve. I managed to cut across four lanes of traffic and park on shoulder where I heard a second noise. Upon inspection, discovered axle had indeed broken free of frame and drive shaft falling off was second noise. Very fortunate that God was with me and no injuries or damage to other vehicles occurred. But this situation should have been prevented if Carfax had really done their job. I pray no one else gets stung. Thank you for allowing me to share.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Out of curiosity I ordered a Carfax report on my 2011 Ford Edge that had numerous service calls on the SYNC system. All that was on the report was routine service calls, no problem calls. I only took that car to one Ford Dealer for all service. How can I trust a Carfax report?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: March 20, 2018

Carfax is a SCAM and they often report FALSE information that will prohibit a consumer from buying/selling a vehicle. I found out over the weekend that Carfax has flagged my current vehicle for potential odometer fraud insinuating that the odometer has been "rolled back". This is completely FALSE and inaccurate. The reality is that they FAIL to keep accurate records and then report inaccuracies as the truth. Furthermore Carfax is NOT an accredited organization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Carfax has incomplete records. Really the only thing it is good for is some service records and some title transfers that are incomplete. THEY also make assumptions that may not be right, another words just guessing. They should really not do that. It is overpriced for what you get. I think a better way to spend your money would be to hire someone to inspect your vehicle if you're not confident in doing it yourself.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Ok this is a company, like Equifax, which I do not give permission to report on me especially when the report is wrong due to CarFax screw up and accuses me of odometer rollback due to their screw up - I file a complaint their response is to have me fill out the same form I had already filled out. They say in a chat room they will get back in 5 days (of course that is from the date of the 2nd form I filled out). Now it is going on the 7th work day and still no response and I seem to be blocked from the chat room. You are costing me thousands. SO NOW I WILL TRY TO BURY THEM WITH FAXS.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Carfax is a scam company! They print out many, many mistakes and HONESTLY they do not verify the car problems. They just print them without asking if the report is true or not... Use Carfax at your own risk, it is NOT a true report and the scam company CARFAX refuses to correct the problem even if I prove them wrong!!! TOO bad too many people are brainwashed with that crap!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I purchased a 2016 Cadillac Escalade that was one year old on 4/17 with a Carfax report that showed no accidents. Now I go to trade in the auto for a new auto and there was an accident that showed up from 9/16. Carfax will not honor their so called buyback guarantee. When I contacted them they said I should not rely on their report and should have gotten an inspection before the purchase. The car came with a 172 point inspection from Cadillac and they didn't catch it. Carfax has to be one of the biggest SCAMS going. The government should shut them down for misleading the public, they make millions of dollars and really provide false security when using their reports at the time you are spending your hard earned money to purchase a car/truck.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Purchased a "Certified" 2013 BMW 328xi in August 2015 with a clean Carfax report. Went car shopping over the weekend. A Carfax report was pulled from the dealership I originally brought the car from. But guess what an accident from the first owner magically appeared and wasn't recorded by Carfax until 2 years later. So now the value of my car has dropped, I owe more on the car than it's worth. The salesperson at the BMW dealership looked dumbfounded and kinda shrugged his shoulders. This smells like fraud to me. How is it that large businesses are allowed to get away with things like this. Very disappointed in Carfax which now I know is an unreliable source and BMW Gallery in Norwood, MA.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Carfax allows dealers to falsify reports. Purchased a used car from Spreen Honda in Redlands CA with their provided Carfax report. Reported it to Carfax and they do NOTHING about it. Don't ever trust Carfax reports of Spreen Honda in Redlands, CA.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a 2007 Ford F150 for fair market value from a dealer in my city. The CARFAX provided to me on the date of purchase noted NO TOTAL LOSS REPORT. Four (4) days after I purchase the vehicle, a TOTAL LOSS appeared on the document. But wait... there's more. The date of the TOTAL LOSS was noted to be 9/17/2008. Almost five years before the report was added to the CARFAX. On my original CARFAX report, there is an ACCIDENT NOTED on a specific date, lo and behold, on the most recent CARFAX DOCUMENT, there is a TOTAL LOSS reported on that EXACT SAME DATE. What this says to me is that CARFAX had the information and mistakenly omitted it from the document. Due their negligence, I purchased a total loss vehicle for regular vehicle price. Contacting CARFAX directly has been absolutely no help. No explanation, no apology, and no hint of honoring their buyback guarantee.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

While recently searching for a used Ford F-150 I utilized Carfax reporting to check on reported accidents. I paid a price for this service which I thought I could trust. While I did find 1 or 2 useful with reports of accidents, I avoided those vehicles. I opted to purchase a 2006 with a clean accident report from Carfax. It did show an auction purchase, but that wouldn't matter as many vehicles now go through auction and I can accept that.

After I registered and insured the vehicle, My insurance sends me a letter telling me that their report shows it having FRAME DAMAGE! Thank you Carfax for your false advertising! From their website: "Be Confident in Your USED Car Purchase" and "Trust The FOX" After receiving this information from my insurance company, I went to Autocheck.com and lo and behold their report indicates "frame or unibody damage." WOW I'll never trust Carfax again! I'm calling my credit card for a refund, but doesn't come close to what I'm likely to be out $$$.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Several months after my classic Porsche (CA lic. **) had been stolen I bought the Carfax history for the car. It did not show up as stolen in the report, even though I had gone to great length to make sure that the car would be entered into every possible database of stolen cars. Now, 21 months after the theft, I got a message from Carfax saying it is time to renew the registration for that car.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I had contacted Carfax and after weeks of no reply they pull up an old and invalid police report saying my airbags deployed. I wish they knew the economic damage they cause by their recklessness and laziness. I would never do business with them had not every dealership put their blind faith into a company with no regulation other than "We won't change anything if you show us proof or not."

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

CarFax is the biggest joke around. They report that there is a "damage report" to my car with front end damage. They do not describe damage, they do not tell where in the United States this occurred, and they do not give any way to confirm or deny. When I sent them an email, (because they suck so bad you can only fax or email) they said the info was from a confidential source and could not disclose. What are they the FBI now. CarFax is a sham as most say and if anyone knows how I can sue them for reporting bogus info let me know.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

In 2011, I purchased a 2006 Chevy Avalanche from an AutoNation dealer on Sahara in LV, NV. I was shown a Carfax that had come from another dealer but with my truck vin # that showed no issues. 6 years later after many headaches and a lot of money put into my Avalanche to try to keep it running, I went back to the same dealership to trade my Avalanche back in. When they did the appraisal for the trade in for my truck, they told me it was worthless because NOW on the Carfax report, it shows my truck as a "Total Loss"! Carfax reported a Total Loss on my truck 2 years after I made the purchase!!! I had a clean title in hand, DMV registration, and insurance, and all that time I'm driving a worthless truck considered a "Total Loss"! How do I get my compensation? What's next? AutoNation has turned their back saying they did nothing wrong, Carfax is impossible to get a hold of! Yea… "Total Loss" for me!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I purchased a vehicle from a reputable local dealership after being shown a clean Carfax report by the floor representative. The first week of owning the vehicle I began to experience problems with my 2008 Lexus IS 250. Expenses: Price for Vehicle : $ 23,333.00. Dec 31, 2014 battery was bad after first week of purchase - Jan free warranty at Holler. Hood latch assembly would not properly close the hood. - Feb - NA had to rig the car to get it to close by removing under the hood bumper bolts so hood closed into the frame of the vehicle frame past where it was supposed to line up at. Headlight assembly - HID ballast went bad -Mar 800.00. ac Freon leak, oil leaking out of timing chain cover on engine block - Oct 2,000.00. 2015 AC compressor went out because of the AC leak - May 800.00. Water pump failed - July 650.00. Then loose ground would not start 95.00 diagnosis + towing 200.00.

2016 axle failed 1,200.00, radiator began to leak, radiator leaking again 2 months later. Brought vehicle to the manufacturer dealership to be inspected. I indicated I wanted to know why radiator failed again so soon, because I suspected foul play. Turns out the front bumper was not the original and the cross member had been damaged in the undisclosed wreck. Sadly it took all this time for the right mechanic to find the culprit to the abnormal amount of trouble I had experienced.

The Carfax report said the original owner purchased the car in New York but the key fob had an engraved "Lexus of Orlando" keychain on it. The purchase was at Holler Honda and no spare key was provided. If the owner came from New York then why was there no key fob from "Lexus of Massapequa"? The vehicle had the title cleaned in New York but could have come from anywhere then rekeyed at Lexus of Orlando. Point is that the reason I couldn't close the hood again after opening it for the first time is because the cross member portion of the frame had been bent well around 6 inches out of alignment. This caused the entire slew of problems and expenses to follow. All this due to purchasing a vehicle with a falsified clean Carfax report. No accident history ever recorded.

I purchased this vehicle with my inheritance after my parents passed away while I was in college. Now I have no vehicle and very little trade in value to purchase another one. I thought I was purchasing a luxury version of the reliable Toyota Camry family of vehicles. I feel taken advantage of, had to take time off of work, and drain my accounts and learn a valuable lesson. I was misled by the dealership for not inspecting their product and UNRELIABLE MISLEADING Carfax Report lying to consumers about their credibility to determine a cars value.

Today the vehicle sits at Lexus with a $7,000.00 Invoice in repairs that are not worth fixing. Frankly the car is totaled because they only offered me $5,500.00 to trade it in for something else. The average cost of depreciation to own this vehicle according to NADA reports is 3,033.00 per year. This salvage title vehicle cost me well over this amount per year in depreciation value. Not including the expenses I had to pay in repairs. Disheartening to say the least.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

This is the second inaccurate Carfax report I've had to deal with. The first report took me weeks to correct. This had to do with a false odometer report from a dealership. After much effort, I was able to get it deleted and got a fair trade in on my car. The second report was an inaccurate one from the police department, which cannot be changed and the police person I spoke with maintained that their officers are not trained in assessing accurate damage reports. Still Carfax publishes these reports! However, after contacting Carfax, they are willing to include my repair bill next to the inaccurate police report. I've decided to keep this car, since I will never get a fair trade in! Twice I've tried to trade in cars, both times these reports published by Carfax have made my experience a nightmare!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I fell for the Carfax salesman who gave me a special deal for 6 months (which by the way is outrageous cost). Then I send them notice of cancellation by phone and email. I think when a person does no longer want a service a simple call should work. But not with carfax they want to keep you on the hook and act like they never received notice. Frankly Autocheck is more accurate and Carfax is way too costly.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I wish I could give them a zero star review, because that would be kind to them. I am an insurance agent, and have found how bad CARFAX can affect a car's value. One of my clients had a fender bender, and the only damage to his car was the grill was broken. It was replaced with a BRAND NEW Ford OE grill. The current CARFAX report now shows "structural damage" and the car's value has diminished significantly.

That car is worth every penny of a similar used car, but not when it comes to trading it. This company is worse than the credit reporting companies (that are regulated by the government) in costing consumers' money. I am petitioning my Congressman and Senators to regulate this business, because it does not distinguish between a major total loss accident, and a small fender bender parking lot accident. I bet the car dealers are loving this, however, because they can pick up great autos WITH ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG below wholesale prices.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I got a 2013 ML350 at this certified dealer and the Carfax showed no accident when they gave it to me. This Monday I went. I ran a Carfax and it’s showing an accident from 2013 by the first owner. I never knew my car was into an accident. I still owe 30,000 and at Prestige they only want to give me 23,000 for it instead of paying me all I have given them due to the fraud. This is not fair and I want my money back.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

This service is not what it is advertised to be. The report I received from Carfax did not show any damage to the vehicle we purchased - NONE. We later found out that it had flood damage. But because it was never reported, it did not show up on any reports. This service is only as good as the people reporting damage. As far as I am concerned the service is worthless and does not do the consumer any real service. A complete waste of your money.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Someone backed into the car and not the piece off the bumper. I filed a claim with the insurance company, took it to the body shop. They told me the hood has been fixed and the bumper is put together with zip ties. They can't guarantee the work because the work is so shoddy they won't fix the car. I've only had the car six months. The dealer set up appointment with me for Tuesday and he was a no-show. Carfax was supposed to be clean. What are my options?

Original review: May 29, 2017

My car had it's bumper LIGHTLY TAPPED with NO DAMAGE in my child's school parking lot, NO DAMAGE. The principal called for a police report as it was their standard procedure no matter how minor the damage, even if no damage, the result was my car coming up on a CARFAX report when I went to trade my car in for a new one a year later. The dealership stated that even though my car had NO DAMAGE, just the fact that it has a CARFAX report they dropped the trade-in offer on my car by $3,500!! Just because it came up on CARFAX, with NO DAMAGE! CARFAX is destroying resell and trade values on people's cars even when there is no damage. CARFAX is a terrorist organization out to destroy as many car values and people's lives as possible.

Original review: May 7, 2017

Was trading in my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I am the original owner, know everything about this car from day one. Everything was going well, the dealer offered me $4,000 trade in for it. We had the offer sheet in hand, we're making the deal happen. Then they pulled a Carfax report. Imagine my shock when they told me my car was a total loss! I have a clean, clear title, car has NEVER been a total loss! Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't even take my trade at all now. So, we wound up having to buy GAP insurance, finance the extra $4000, plus tax. This has cost me $6,000. Matthew at Carfax who finally reponded to my emailed correction request form basically told me "no," they won't help me, other than to correct the report. Too late, I told him, I am out at least $6,000 because of your error. I expect Carfax to make me whole!

Absolute refusal, I am now looking for anyone else this has happened to, and a REALLY good lawyer who is willing to run the distance to prosecute a class action lawsuit against Carfax for this, get reimbursed for their failure to verify their information. This, to me, is basically slander, it has caused harm, and is false reporting.

Original review: May 6, 2017

We spent two days looking for a new truck. Found the one we wanted and went in to make the purchase and trade in our current truck. Dealer came back saying that Carfax said it was only worth $1000 because it was reported as a total loss at one time. Problem is that it has never been in an accident! It has been burglarized but not to the extent that it was a total loss. 8 years ago when we were visiting our infant in the NICU, our truck was broken into. They broke a window and stole my husband's stereo. They tried to steal the truck but couldn't. As a result, they messed up the ignition and the truck wouldn't start. The insurance company fixed everything and it was never totaled, not even close! 7 years later we go to sell and because of Carfax's incompetence, the dealer wont give us what it is worth! Carfax is a bunch of **! Beware consumers! Their reports are inaccurate!

Original review: May 1, 2017

I purchased unlimited Carfax reports for 90 days. As I shop online for cars regularly, I thought this was a reputable company to work with. After my 5th purchase, I was unable to pull any additional reports. It seems as though the Unlimited is by car tag only. How many online ads do you see where the tag is clearly visible? In fact, dealerships remove the tags and most individuals cover the plate in their pictures. I believe this is deceptive and hope my poor experience with these guys will provide others a reasonable heads up to avoid the same mistake.

Original review: April 27, 2017

On 3.1.17 I joined Carfax to use for buying a truck, used 1 time and have been unable to log in since. They did take my $69.99 for service provided, have called 5 times for help, no real person to talk to. Would not recommend this service.

Carfax Company Information