Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

641 Carfax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My vehicle has been meticulously maintained since it was purchased new in 2006. None of that information was reported in the "Carfax". When I sent them the copies of the service records I was told that the dealer that did the maintenance doesn't participate in the "myCARFAX" program therefore they were not authorized to include them in the report.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Went to trade my F-150 and dealer pulls CarFfax and tells me it shows 11900 on a damage report. Damage was in fact 6109 and was only rear fender dent. Fender had to be replaced because it was rippled slightly. No structural damage, all cosmetic. I got the correct information from the insurer and sent it to Carfax to have the damage amended to the correct amount. They actually argued that the report only showed scratches and no major damage even though I had it right in front of me. 2 days worth of e-mails and 'help is on the way" sent to me many times from them we are nowhere.

This is a useless organization and should be dealt with in the courts. I strongly suggest if you are having trouble with this company. Take them to small claims court and get compensation and damages. I have hammered them on Facebook as well. This has got to stop. If you are an American, write to your Congressman or Senator. Canadians call the Provincial Ministry of Consumer Affairs. Have a lawyer harass them and sue them.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought an expensive used truck in July of 2017 with a clean one owner perfect Carfax. I had some service work done on the truck in August of 2018 and decided I might be considering trading it in for a different Model A year later only to find out that on the Carfax report it showed that there was "damage" to the rear from some unlisted source reported in July 2017 only 3 days after I bought my truck! When discovering this of course I thought it was a mistake but CarFax said no that the company that reported it just began to report these incidents in April of 2018 and so basically I'm out of luck and the value of my truck is less because of this information.

Digging deeper I find out that they will not release the name of the reporting agency nor will they release the information of what was damaged. So as a consumer I am left with it no information on how I am supposed to address this issue. So the truck is valued at $5,000 less because of this information that I knew nothing about when I purchased it. I'm working with the dealership now, and I'm hoping that they will assist me and working through this problem.

But it's very frustrating and I think it's a scam for innocent consumers when they think they're buying something that is clear and find out later that they're going to be offered less money because now it's not clear somebody needs to hold responsibility for that or at least help the consumer find a way to find out what the information is so they have a better way of handling the issue when they turn it in as a trade in or sell it privately. This is very very dishonest and I feel ripped off! If CarFax is a creditable Company they need to assist the consumer not shut them down. This is how I feel that I am being handed. What rights does this consumer have?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Jan. 2018 ordered one auto report, was charged for six. ($100). Made an email complaint (no phone contact possible) and was refunded the $60. Sept. 2018 ordered another single report and was billed for ($100). Made request and was refunded $60. This all came about because Carfax has you choose a single report but defaults to the most expensive without your knowledge. After putting in my credit card info, they then go to the billing page telling you what they charged to your card.

This causes the back & forth for a refund. On seeing this higher charge, I DID NOT hit the Order selection and initiated the refund request. They charged my card the $100. Received an email saying I had received one refund in Jan. and they only allow 1 a year per person or family. End result; no Carfax report. This smells like a scam and their billing sequence is backwards from any I've found on the net. All others have a "Cart" which shows what you've bought and the price; then ask for card info. First time, shame on you; second time, shame on me. NEVER AGAIN... BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Carfax is a joke. Seems everyone has the same issue. I bought a truck in September 2017. I recently tried to trade it in and they offered 5k less because "damage" was reported December 2017. I owed the truck and I reported no damage. The truck is perfect. They only deal with people through email. I got their number from using the old school 411. I have contacted the BBB. Hopefully they can help us all out. When I called Carfax number a very, very rude woman answers. She must be embarrassed working for Carfax. I asked to speak to the president Richard Raines. He was available but she asked what's it concerning and she said he will not speak with me. I'm at a 5k loss with Carfax. I see over 600 negative reviews on this company. It would be nice if we can all get together and sue the crap out of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I would like to trade in a car. I am the original owner. Carfax claims there have been two prior owners and that the car was impound and a junk title was created 4 years ago. So, according to the two dealers I have spoken with my car is now worth nothing instead of five to six thousand dollars. Carfax only deals with thing electronically therefore I haven't had any contact from them except for this: "Help is on the way! Use this reference number for follow up: #..." It would be nice to get an answer.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Truck got stolen and I got it back and had to have the side mirror replaced. Well nice old Carfax put structural damage on there also. Showed them the insurance report and body shop report that it only had side view mirror damage. Neither of those have structural damage on it. Sent them an email about it takes them a month to get back and they that is not what they need. Then I ask what is it they need to remove it and never hear from them again. Why in the world do car dealers even go off this crap company. Biggest joke ever.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Bought a car from dealer on 3/2017, report generated 3/9/2017, clean title, no accident or damage. 1 year later I try to sell my car, discovered damage on the report, when was the damage? 9/2013... 4 years before the report was generated, funny part the day that they started reporting this kind of information on 7/2017. So, they had the information for 4 years but decided to release after the car was sold by the dealer. Here comes the scam, they hide the info to benefit the dealer, once car shows as sold, they release the information, not to hurt the dealer, I complained and they said information was not available at the time I bought my car, Again by what the reporting say!! ABC news had reported them on 2012 similar complaints. I will contact them also. Very similar behavior when you search customer complaints online.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Nowhere in the purchase page does Carfax tell you their product expires EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE IT! You have to dig deep in their TOS to find that out. Avoid them, no need to pay for this crappy service. Instead, go with a competitor (without naming names) that offers non-expiring reports. This kind of rip-off pay scheme should be taken out of business.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Purchased truck April 6, 2018, 3 hrs. later and 198 miles, had a wreck. Exit ramp domino stop effect and I was last in line and could not stop. My bumper was bent and grill was cracked a bit. Being a new truck I reported on insurance and had OEM only parts replaced. Not a bad wreck at all. Well, several months later, entertained the idea of trading for a smaller truck. Dealership came back with an offer of half what the truck would be worth and said it had a Carfax of "severe accident" against it. After researching into the issue, Carfax took the police report as factual. The officer put "Major damage" on the accident report. I've been back and forth with this now for several weeks. The police report is an opinion of the officer filling out the report and not facts, (it states this on the report). Carfax says if I get the officer to change his report they would change theirs for my truck. Of course that isn't going to happen...

Too many dealerships and people in general rely on this information and wrong info has cost me 25K in depreciation on a 2018 truck worth 50k. That's stealing in my book, or as Carfax would use as accurate, an "OPINION." Where can a person start as to try to stop this inaccurate info and make a difference to the auto buying world. Why do so many use Carfax as bible and think the information is always accurate?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In April 2014 we were in the left turn lane when Jeep in front decided to get out of that lane, put car in reverse and backed into our car which was much lower. It creased the hood, fender, knocked out headlights. The airbags did not deploy, we were not hurt, car was not towed, we finished our errand, drove the car home and drove it 15 miles to certified Mercedes dealer for repairs. I have documentation re: accident from repair shop listing no structural damage. So four years later we are trading this car in on a new car. The Carfax came up reporting structural damage.

The dealership which was offering us a good trade in allowance pulled their deal and would not take our car in trade. So this leaves us with monetary damage. We have been told that insurance companies sell information to Carfax. Is it possible that claims adjusters make false reports in retaliation. Our adjuster was angry because we took our car to certified repair shop of our choice instead of cut rate shop he demanded we use? Just a thought!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Platinum: ** indicates 2 owners, but it has only been registered to one couple. It also indicates that a rear-end accident (air-bags NOT deployed) and no damage was noted. This vehicle only registered to one couple since initial purchase; has NEVER BEEN INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT!!! And the vehicle remains in the hands of the original lessees/owners.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Ran report on my car June 30th. There was a false claim that "insurance company reported as total loss". I had of $3400 bodywork from me hitting something in the garage. No frame damage. Provided a letter from the insurance company (USAA) with contact information to verify not a total loss and that they never reported anything to Carfax. Weeks later nothing happening and so I spent 3.5 hrs at DMV to get the record to show no loss. Get standard emails - 2 asking for same info, 3rd not acknowledging the attachments I sent. No way to talk to a human on the phone. This is keeping me from selling the car which I need to do for the money. Plus it's the best month to sell a jeep weather wise. This is nuts that one month later and nothing. Does anyone know of an attorney or consumer advocate that can help?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Carfax cost me $7,000 when I traded my 2008 Silverado (60,000) miles for a 2019 Mini Cooper S. If you idiots are gonna report an accident, do it accurately! All you told my dealership was I had been in an accident. I ran into a concrete POST - short one I didn't see. The right front fender took damage - NOTHING else!!! PIGS! Either DON'T report your accident or fix it yourself which I should have done - would've saved $7,000.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am trying to sell a very expensive car which are hard to sell. I had a prospective buyer, but he informed me that there were errors in the Carfax report and was concerned. I ran a Carfax report when I bought the vehicle and the report was clean. Now the report says that the car is under a dealer consignment and there are errors in the odometer. I have NEVER had the car to a dealer for anything than normal maintenance and have NEVER altered the odometer. I have tried to contact Carfax and they will not return my E-mails. As far as I am concerned Carfax is a scam and will never willingly have any dealings with them again and do not trust their reports.

Original review: June 19, 2018

MY PROBLEM IS THE SAME AS MANY PEOPLE REPORTED SO BEWARE!! CARFAX ARE SCAM ARTISTS!! I can just cut and paste others complaints because my situation is almost IDENTICAL!! I only needed 1 report put on MY car which I want to sell. Same as others, I very clearly clicked the 1 report button for $39.99. Credit card authorization came through at $104.99. Contacted them through website (they curiously have no phone number for consumers) and I tried calling the phone # for Dealers (1-888-788-7715) and was told they can't handle it. It's only for dealers, use live-chat or email option (nobody answers either!!).

Amazingly the charge posted on my account the right away. Nothing ever goes from authorization to post that fast. Sent a second more heated complaint through website and got a "we're on it reply". Disputed the charge through my credit card company. 4 days out and nothing has happened. Beware! They can say you clicked button you did not click and rip you off for $65 (or more). Will update this post if this resolves. In the meantime, I'm going to start going to every social media available to warn consumers!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

They appear to take advantage of electronic "he says, she says". I only needed 1 report on a car we had already decided to buy. Very clearly clicked the 1 report button for $39.99. Credit card authorization came through at $104.99. Contacted them through website (they curiously have no phone number for consumers) and was ignored. Amazingly the charge posted on my account the next day. Nothing ever goes from authorization to post that fast. Sent a second more heated complaint through website and got a "we're on it reply". Disputed the charge through credit card company. Three days out and nothing has happened. Beware! They can say you clicked button you did not click and rip you off for $65 (or more). Will update this post if this resolves. They have already wasted hundreds of dollars of my time.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Their search form requires a zip code and will only show cars near that zip code. I want to search nationwide but cannot do so. Why would you not allow a national search? Very poorly designed website and forms. Other companies are much better.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased an Expedition on 4-16-2018 and on 4-17-2018 an accident shows up on Carfax from 2-26-2018. Almost 2 months AFTER the wreck, and ONE DAY after purchase... Carfax would do NOTHING to resolve. Poor customer service.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have tried to get the Carfax report corrected for my vehicle without any success. They claim according to their 'source' there was damage to my vehicle and it had to be towed. This never ever happened. This car has never been in any accident or damaged or towed. I tried to tell them this but they kept insisting that their source has reported this. I had Geico issue a letter stating there were no claims filed for that specific date. Carfax's response to that was that not all accidents are reported to the insurance company. I told them to tell me who reported this so that I can follow up with them and try to investigate this apparent incident and that as an owner of this vehicle I have the right to know who incorrectly reported this damage and tow on it. They did not even bother replying after that. After first two emails they stopped responding to my emails altogether.

This is very frustrating and not being able to talk to someone on the phone makes it even worse. I read in one of the prior complaints that I can file a complaint with the small claims court. I will contact my attorney and do just that now. I wish there was a way to put this stupid company out of business for not verifying their sources and false reporting.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I am very upset with Carfax, I bought a certified used car in 2016 and was shown a Carfax report saying the car has never been in any accidents, Well I tried to trade that car in last night and found out that 2 months before I bought the car there was frame damage. I was told even when I completely pay this car off I will get nothing for it. I was told in 2016 things were not being reported to Carfax. This accident happened 4/20/2016. I bought it in July and this wasn't reported until July of 2017. So now thanks to Carfax I am stuck with this car no matter what.

Original review: April 17, 2018

CARFAX reported that there was structural damage done to my vehicle from an accident. This is completely false information as there was zero damage to the frame or unibody of my vehicle yet they still incorrectly reported this as an issue with my vehicle. I did not know until last week when it was pointed out to me by someone interested in my car. I have been trying to sell this vehicle for over a month unaware that CARFAX had done this and consequently I have lowered the price of my vehicle by $3k because I was getting very little responses which I blame on CARFAX incorrectly listing damages to my vehicle. I will lose $3k from selling my vehicle which is how much below the value Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book suggests the car is worth based on the features and condition of my vehicle.

I have sent them several emails, called and tried to get help via chat and they have never responded. They report false information and when the I repeatedly tried to contact them to get that information corrected with documentation including a letter from the repair facility, a complete report of the work done that does not show any frame or unibody damages, photos of the damage to my vehicle and a police report they still will not respond. If you have this happen to you take them to small claims court and you will win if you can provide the proper documentation. It is a fairly simple process to file your complaint with your local county court and very inexpensive as well.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased a vehicle from an auction. The auction uses Auto Check. Auto Check reported no fraudulent activity, so they did not announce anything about mileage discrepancy. The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) also listed nothing fraudulent. CARFAX, however, listed mileage rollback fraud. The issue was that whoever did the inspection in January 2016 input the wrong mileage. Anyone with a brain can see that this was a simple human error and nothing fraudulent. Why would anyone roll the odometer forward from 85k miles to 178k miles back to 85k miles? CARFAX notes this as odometer fraud preventing me from selling my vehicle for the fair market price.

I tried to contact CARFAX and the only phone number listed is the dealer account customer service number. I called because this does have something to do with dealer issues. The man was rude. Once I told him I was working through a dealership but had no account with CARFAX he got completely rude and impatient with me. He impatiently asked if I was on a computer.

Then he told me I had to chat with the online chat help, but they probably would not be able to help me either and then he hung up the phone. I go the chat route and the person on there is no real help. She says I have to fill out a data research form and then someone will contact me within 10-15 business days. This is costing me several hundred dollars! I want to sell this vehicle now. I have a buyer now. The buyer doesn't want to pay my asking price (which is actually lower than any rough book price), because he won't be able to retail it on his lot because of the fraudulent report on CARFAX.

CARFAX is not the be all, end all of vehicle reports. It is frequently WRONG! They need to seriously consider making some changes to their business model, or maybe the algorithm that's used to create these reports. Plus, get a phone line to help people. Help people in a timely manner. No one wants to wait weeks to fix something that can be done in 5 minutes. The online chat person said that they have a lot of discrepancies to work through and can't decide who's more important, so they don't expedite anything. Here's a thought... Don't screw up so much. Your workload will be much less! DON'T TRUST CARFAX. THEY MAKE TOO MANY ERRORS. SO ANNOYED and FRUSTRATED.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have a car for sale in which was involved in a car vs deer accident. I had a buyer until they pulled the Carfax report that stated the airbag deployed. I contacted my insurance company to ask why this was reported. They pull the claim and told me they hadn't reported that and that they would send me proof that the airbag never deployed. I contact Carfax by email because that's the only way to communicate with them. I was informed that they got their information from a police report. I asked for a copy in which they stated they didn't have and needed me to get a copy and send to them before the correction could be made. They stated that the information from my insurance company wasn't good enough.

I call and ask about the report which is from 2016 and guess what, it wasn't reported that the airbags deployed. They lie and assume to get their information. How do you report on a police report that you don't have and need a copy of. This is unacceptable, they cost me the sale of my car. I believe they should be held responsible for false information.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased Carfax before I bought a vehicle a few years ago. I ran a number of vehicles through before I found one I was willing to take a chance on. What a mistake. I travelled a long distance for the vehicle and ended up purchasing it. Much to my chagrin, the title had been salvaged in Ohio. The truck purchased by a used car dealer in Michigan who posed as an independent party on Craigslist. The title was not a salvage title in Michigan. The frame was badly rusted.

Almost one year to date of purchase the rear axle de-attached from frame while travelling on Interstate 90 in rush hour traffic, far left lane, on blind curve. I managed to cut across four lanes of traffic and park on shoulder where I heard a second noise. Upon inspection, discovered axle had indeed broken free of frame and drive shaft falling off was second noise. Very fortunate that God was with me and no injuries or damage to other vehicles occurred. But this situation should have been prevented if Carfax had really done their job. I pray no one else gets stung. Thank you for allowing me to share.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Out of curiosity I ordered a Carfax report on my 2011 Ford Edge that had numerous service calls on the SYNC system. All that was on the report was routine service calls, no problem calls. I only took that car to one Ford Dealer for all service. How can I trust a Carfax report?

Original review: March 20, 2018

Carfax is a SCAM and they often report FALSE information that will prohibit a consumer from buying/selling a vehicle. I found out over the weekend that Carfax has flagged my current vehicle for potential odometer fraud insinuating that the odometer has been "rolled back". This is completely FALSE and inaccurate. The reality is that they FAIL to keep accurate records and then report inaccuracies as the truth. Furthermore Carfax is NOT an accredited organization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Carfax has incomplete records. Really the only thing it is good for is some service records and some title transfers that are incomplete. THEY also make assumptions that may not be right, another words just guessing. They should really not do that. It is overpriced for what you get. I think a better way to spend your money would be to hire someone to inspect your vehicle if you're not confident in doing it yourself.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Ok this is a company, like Equifax, which I do not give permission to report on me especially when the report is wrong due to CarFax screw up and accuses me of odometer rollback due to their screw up - I file a complaint their response is to have me fill out the same form I had already filled out. They say in a chat room they will get back in 5 days (of course that is from the date of the 2nd form I filled out). Now it is going on the 7th work day and still no response and I seem to be blocked from the chat room. You are costing me thousands. SO NOW I WILL TRY TO BURY THEM WITH FAXS.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Carfax is a scam company! They print out many, many mistakes and HONESTLY they do not verify the car problems. They just print them without asking if the report is true or not... Use Carfax at your own risk, it is NOT a true report and the scam company CARFAX refuses to correct the problem even if I prove them wrong!!! TOO bad too many people are brainwashed with that crap!

Carfax Company Information