Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

656 Carfax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Company is very expensive and does not have accurate information when it comes to used vehicles. They want you to pay big dollars to list your used cars for sale. I listed my brand new truck for sale with a clean title that I had, next thing you know I go online to look at my truck. The ad stated total loss vehicle. I had called Carfax. They had requested that I faxed my title to them. Lo and behold next day Carfax states they would not remove the total loss brand and they proceeded to state that you can still have a clean title and the vehicle be a total loss. Are you kidding me? This truck was never ever in a accident at all. Everyone be smart and save your money. Have your mechanic go over your next vehicle. Carfax is a 3rd party who knows nothing about used cars. They collect data that's all they do. Lotta times it's inaccurate. Beware Carfax is a Scam!!!! Be smart consumers. Save your money!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I opened a case (case no. **) with Carfax about a week ago when I was trying to sell my car and found out a damage reported on my car back in March 01, 2016. I leased out my 2015 Mazda CX-5 on Dec 6th 2014 from McDonald Mazda in CO and have been driving it since then. Serviced it on time every six months and kept it in meticulously. With growing family I planned to sell it and buy something bigger. To my surprise I found out a damage reported back in 2016. So I opened up a case with Carfax to which they responded that the report came from a trusted source and they cannot disclose who it is. All they can say is that it was a frontal damage and nothing else. They say "Damage can be a result of many different types of events. Examples include contact with objects (other cars, trees, traffic signs, road debris, etc), vandalism, reconditioning, or weather-related events."

This is something unacceptable since I am the only owner and have never given anyone else to drive it. And I know for sure that nothing ever happened to it ever since I have owned it. Don't know what I can do to correct the mistake they made on my report. What could possibly have happened is someone else's car was damaged and by mistake my VIN got entered by whoever reported. Suggestions are requested.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner. The top was damaged when a limb fell on it from a storm. I turned the claim into USAA insurance and had the work done by Caliber Collision on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville, Florida. The truck was returned to me and looked great. After a while I decided to upgrade to a new Tacoma. Imagine my surprise when I was told the Carfax stated that the vehicle had "structural" damage and that this would lower the value by $5000. After researching this I can not determine whom stated it had that damage. The repair facility claims they had not stated structural damage and USAA also claims they did not. No one wishes to accept responsibility for this and I just have to "suck it up". Let me explain, that when I feel put upon by a large company that will not "do the right thing" I become very determined. Should this not be corrected in what I feel is a reasonable amount of time it will escalate.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My truck was hit in a parking lot. I have Geico Insurance and took it a Body Shop approved by Geico, ACE Auto Body, Fort Collins, CO. I went to sell the truck to Dellenbach Chevrolet in Fort Collins, CO. They showed us that on Carfax that it shows that my truck has Structural Damage. I called ACE and they claimed there is no Structural damage and they do not ever report anything to Carfax. I called Geico and they claim that they never report anything to Carfax. I notified Carfax and they claim that an entry (in their view is structural damage).

I asked who reported this and they are not and will not let me know who reported it. I want to know to see who is lying or if the entry is being reported wrong. My truck is taking a hit of -$10k for Structural Damage. Both Geico & ACE swear that neither one reported! Carfax is holding information that I feel should be revealed to me because I am losing money from a sale on my truck that I don't feel I should not because of false reporting.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I went on the website as a guest and requested a report for a vehicle. As soon as a put in the credit card information a error message came up. My card was charged immediately. I requested a refund and was never contacted. I chatted with a customer service rep because that was the only way they could be contacted which I think is inconvenient. They basically said they see the transaction but could like give the refund and the I needed to call my bank and the tech department.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Carfax is the number one reporting tool used by all dealerships. As a monopoly they have a responsibility to report Accurate information. We purchased a vehicle with a clean Carfax so we thought. Until we brought it in as a trade in & were offered a 1/3 of its worth. Imagine our surprise when we were told the Jeep had two previous accidents & Carfax just started reporting them three months ago. The accidents happened back in 2013. I would have never made the purchase If the correct facts were reported. So, who regulates this dysfunctional company? Who is responsible for compensation against their negligence? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Paid for report for 2008 Lexus RX400h. SAVE YOUR MONEY. No mention of repairs/parts replacements that 2 differently employed reputable mechanics said were replaced parts. This was battery for ABS system. Not a small replacement. No details about prior accident save date. Just a “nothing report”. Typical entry “vehicle serviced” with date. No details. Really. SAVE THE MONEY. DO NOT FALL PREY TO CARFAX $$ report. It is sooo NOT worth it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was given notice that my Carfax report was updated and I decided to give it a look. I noticed several entries that were incorrect... Maintenance done and tire pressure checked in April 2018 at Ford dealer, mileage 65,201... Fast forward to November 2018, again I had service done at Ford dealer and mileage was 65,205, problem is my car was NOT at the dealer on those dates and did not have anything done by the dealer. I simply called about the airbag recall and somehow the dealer and Carfax turned that into false information. Hey, personally I don't mind all the "free" maintenance that shows up on my carfax report, but I would never EVER pay for a Carfax report as it is usually filled with wrong info.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We applied to refinance our Dodge Challenger SRT, limited edition Plum Crazy Purple through our credit union. The loan application was quick and easy, but then we got notified by the other credit union that the pay-off check did not go through. We then called our credit union and asked why the pay-off check (after being approved) did not go through. They said it was their policy not to approved red flagged cars on Carfax report. Well we read the report which flagged our car as "Severely damaged."

We then called the dealership, Colorado Springs Dodge and talked to the District Manager. He said that there were no severe damage to the car and faxed us a report they pull up from AutoCheck. He said the car had a little scrape, cost a $1000 to fix the rear quarter scratch/dent, but frame has been intact. He said the title is clean and that the dealership does not sell severely damaged cars. So due to this mistake on the Carfax report, we went through a lot of frustration and lost our refinancing. Of course I wrote to the credit union to tell them not to use Carfax!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The description of the Nissan Rogue I purchased through Carfax was not correct. Carfax said the mileage was 945, this turned out to be the last mileage on the last road trip the prev owner took. Also Carfax said there were no recalls. Turns out there is a major recall on this vehicle. I regret going thru Carfax. I have to make sure to get everything taken care of...unless I trade it in. Very disappointed with Carfax!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I just got my truck out of the mechanic like 3 days ago. Running smooth. When I was driving to Carfax my husband and I were like wow, it’s running really smooth. Tell me why??? When we got it back drove back home because they offered us 1,000. It was making a funky sound. I really do think they did something to my truck. Oh and by the way they tried to say that the car had a accident in 2009. BS!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Accident was very minor... Someone clipped/tweaked the external hinge of my 2014 Ram Promaster's rear door. I filed an insurance claim. The insurance co. gave me a check for $675.00 to replace the hinge. Took the van to a dealer recently, contemplating a trade. Dealer runs a CarFax report which indicates "Major front/side/rear damage"! I showed the dealer the hinge, but he still refused to believe me, and declined my trade. CarFax is nothing but inaccurate, unreliable information. Where is the class-action lawsuit?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Carfax information is not always correct. They said our vehicle had a serious accident in 2005. Because of their inaccurate information our trade in value went down to $500.00. When we tried to correct the error Carfax was of no help and we had to go out and try to find out where they got their information from. They do not have a phone number so you can not talk to a real person. I actually had to go on the internet to find out where this Bear Creek Township was where they said we had the accident. If you are buying a vehicle, selling one, or trading one in, do not believe the information you are given on their site. Beware of Carfax. You may not be given the correct information.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I spend my money for an inaccurate report. The whole basis of your business is to give car buyers pertinent and reliable information in order to make an informed decision when buying a car. I purchased the car based on your report. After I purchased the car I ran the free VIN report and it contained 5 RECALLS which CARFAX listed NONE and a service call for transmission issue. It's also is NOT on CARFAX. I had to replace the entire transmission within 3 weeks. After spending several thousands of dollars on a new transmission and rental car, CARFAX didn't think that was worthy of a $60 refund. If you going to sell information you need to make sure it's accurate. Furthermore CARFAX is the most expensive VIN check report and the least accurate. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have a truck with a "clean" title. Carfax reports it as a total loss. In order to submit a protest/complaint their form required me to agree to terms of service that gave up my rights to hold them responsible for errors. It is impossible to talk to them on the phone and the Chat service was a total waste. She just told me to submit a complaint. My experience is that CARFAX is unreputable and unreliable plus they have really bad customer service. I only gave them one star as it is not possible to give no stars.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My vehicle has been meticulously maintained since it was purchased new in 2006. None of that information was reported in the "Carfax". When I sent them the copies of the service records I was told that the dealer that did the maintenance doesn't participate in the "myCARFAX" program therefore they were not authorized to include them in the report.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Went to trade my F-150 and dealer pulls CarFfax and tells me it shows 11900 on a damage report. Damage was in fact 6109 and was only rear fender dent. Fender had to be replaced because it was rippled slightly. No structural damage, all cosmetic. I got the correct information from the insurer and sent it to Carfax to have the damage amended to the correct amount. They actually argued that the report only showed scratches and no major damage even though I had it right in front of me. 2 days worth of e-mails and 'help is on the way" sent to me many times from them we are nowhere.

This is a useless organization and should be dealt with in the courts. I strongly suggest if you are having trouble with this company. Take them to small claims court and get compensation and damages. I have hammered them on Facebook as well. This has got to stop. If you are an American, write to your Congressman or Senator. Canadians call the Provincial Ministry of Consumer Affairs. Have a lawyer harass them and sue them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought an expensive used truck in July of 2017 with a clean one owner perfect Carfax. I had some service work done on the truck in August of 2018 and decided I might be considering trading it in for a different Model A year later only to find out that on the Carfax report it showed that there was "damage" to the rear from some unlisted source reported in July 2017 only 3 days after I bought my truck! When discovering this of course I thought it was a mistake but CarFax said no that the company that reported it just began to report these incidents in April of 2018 and so basically I'm out of luck and the value of my truck is less because of this information.

Digging deeper I find out that they will not release the name of the reporting agency nor will they release the information of what was damaged. So as a consumer I am left with it no information on how I am supposed to address this issue. So the truck is valued at $5,000 less because of this information that I knew nothing about when I purchased it. I'm working with the dealership now, and I'm hoping that they will assist me and working through this problem.

But it's very frustrating and I think it's a scam for innocent consumers when they think they're buying something that is clear and find out later that they're going to be offered less money because now it's not clear somebody needs to hold responsibility for that or at least help the consumer find a way to find out what the information is so they have a better way of handling the issue when they turn it in as a trade in or sell it privately. This is very very dishonest and I feel ripped off! If CarFax is a creditable Company they need to assist the consumer not shut them down. This is how I feel that I am being handed. What rights does this consumer have?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Jan. 2018 ordered one auto report, was charged for six. ($100). Made an email complaint (no phone contact possible) and was refunded the $60. Sept. 2018 ordered another single report and was billed for ($100). Made request and was refunded $60. This all came about because Carfax has you choose a single report but defaults to the most expensive without your knowledge. After putting in my credit card info, they then go to the billing page telling you what they charged to your card.

This causes the back & forth for a refund. On seeing this higher charge, I DID NOT hit the Order selection and initiated the refund request. They charged my card the $100. Received an email saying I had received one refund in Jan. and they only allow 1 a year per person or family. End result; no Carfax report. This smells like a scam and their billing sequence is backwards from any I've found on the net. All others have a "Cart" which shows what you've bought and the price; then ask for card info. First time, shame on you; second time, shame on me. NEVER AGAIN... BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Carfax is a joke. Seems everyone has the same issue. I bought a truck in September 2017. I recently tried to trade it in and they offered 5k less because "damage" was reported December 2017. I owed the truck and I reported no damage. The truck is perfect. They only deal with people through email. I got their number from using the old school 411. I have contacted the BBB. Hopefully they can help us all out. When I called Carfax number a very, very rude woman answers. She must be embarrassed working for Carfax. I asked to speak to the president Richard Raines. He was available but she asked what's it concerning and she said he will not speak with me. I'm at a 5k loss with Carfax. I see over 600 negative reviews on this company. It would be nice if we can all get together and sue the crap out of them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I would like to trade in a car. I am the original owner. Carfax claims there have been two prior owners and that the car was impound and a junk title was created 4 years ago. So, according to the two dealers I have spoken with my car is now worth nothing instead of five to six thousand dollars. Carfax only deals with thing electronically therefore I haven't had any contact from them except for this: "Help is on the way! Use this reference number for follow up: #..." It would be nice to get an answer.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Truck got stolen and I got it back and had to have the side mirror replaced. Well nice old Carfax put structural damage on there also. Showed them the insurance report and body shop report that it only had side view mirror damage. Neither of those have structural damage on it. Sent them an email about it takes them a month to get back and they that is not what they need. Then I ask what is it they need to remove it and never hear from them again. Why in the world do car dealers even go off this crap company. Biggest joke ever.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Bought a car from dealer on 3/2017, report generated 3/9/2017, clean title, no accident or damage. 1 year later I try to sell my car, discovered damage on the report, when was the damage? 9/2013... 4 years before the report was generated, funny part the day that they started reporting this kind of information on 7/2017. So, they had the information for 4 years but decided to release after the car was sold by the dealer. Here comes the scam, they hide the info to benefit the dealer, once car shows as sold, they release the information, not to hurt the dealer, I complained and they said information was not available at the time I bought my car, Again by what the reporting say!! ABC news had reported them on 2012 similar complaints. I will contact them also. Very similar behavior when you search customer complaints online.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Nowhere in the purchase page does Carfax tell you their product expires EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE IT! You have to dig deep in their TOS to find that out. Avoid them, no need to pay for this crappy service. Instead, go with a competitor (without naming names) that offers non-expiring reports. This kind of rip-off pay scheme should be taken out of business.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Purchased truck April 6, 2018, 3 hrs. later and 198 miles, had a wreck. Exit ramp domino stop effect and I was last in line and could not stop. My bumper was bent and grill was cracked a bit. Being a new truck I reported on insurance and had OEM only parts replaced. Not a bad wreck at all. Well, several months later, entertained the idea of trading for a smaller truck. Dealership came back with an offer of half what the truck would be worth and said it had a Carfax of "severe accident" against it. After researching into the issue, Carfax took the police report as factual. The officer put "Major damage" on the accident report. I've been back and forth with this now for several weeks. The police report is an opinion of the officer filling out the report and not facts, (it states this on the report). Carfax says if I get the officer to change his report they would change theirs for my truck. Of course that isn't going to happen...

Too many dealerships and people in general rely on this information and wrong info has cost me 25K in depreciation on a 2018 truck worth 50k. That's stealing in my book, or as Carfax would use as accurate, an "OPINION." Where can a person start as to try to stop this inaccurate info and make a difference to the auto buying world. Why do so many use Carfax as bible and think the information is always accurate?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In April 2014 we were in the left turn lane when Jeep in front decided to get out of that lane, put car in reverse and backed into our car which was much lower. It creased the hood, fender, knocked out headlights. The airbags did not deploy, we were not hurt, car was not towed, we finished our errand, drove the car home and drove it 15 miles to certified Mercedes dealer for repairs. I have documentation re: accident from repair shop listing no structural damage. So four years later we are trading this car in on a new car. The Carfax came up reporting structural damage.

The dealership which was offering us a good trade in allowance pulled their deal and would not take our car in trade. So this leaves us with monetary damage. We have been told that insurance companies sell information to Carfax. Is it possible that claims adjusters make false reports in retaliation. Our adjuster was angry because we took our car to certified repair shop of our choice instead of cut rate shop he demanded we use? Just a thought!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Platinum: ** indicates 2 owners, but it has only been registered to one couple. It also indicates that a rear-end accident (air-bags NOT deployed) and no damage was noted. This vehicle only registered to one couple since initial purchase; has NEVER BEEN INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT!!! And the vehicle remains in the hands of the original lessees/owners.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Ran report on my car June 30th. There was a false claim that "insurance company reported as total loss". I had of $3400 bodywork from me hitting something in the garage. No frame damage. Provided a letter from the insurance company (USAA) with contact information to verify not a total loss and that they never reported anything to Carfax. Weeks later nothing happening and so I spent 3.5 hrs at DMV to get the record to show no loss. Get standard emails - 2 asking for same info, 3rd not acknowledging the attachments I sent. No way to talk to a human on the phone. This is keeping me from selling the car which I need to do for the money. Plus it's the best month to sell a jeep weather wise. This is nuts that one month later and nothing. Does anyone know of an attorney or consumer advocate that can help?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Carfax cost me $7,000 when I traded my 2008 Silverado (60,000) miles for a 2019 Mini Cooper S. If you idiots are gonna report an accident, do it accurately! All you told my dealership was I had been in an accident. I ran into a concrete POST - short one I didn't see. The right front fender took damage - NOTHING else!!! PIGS! Either DON'T report your accident or fix it yourself which I should have done - would've saved $7,000.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am trying to sell a very expensive car which are hard to sell. I had a prospective buyer, but he informed me that there were errors in the Carfax report and was concerned. I ran a Carfax report when I bought the vehicle and the report was clean. Now the report says that the car is under a dealer consignment and there are errors in the odometer. I have NEVER had the car to a dealer for anything than normal maintenance and have NEVER altered the odometer. I have tried to contact Carfax and they will not return my E-mails. As far as I am concerned Carfax is a scam and will never willingly have any dealings with them again and do not trust their reports.

Carfax Company Information