1.03/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

632 Carfax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Purchased truck April 6, 2018, 3 hrs. later and 198 miles, had a wreck. Exit ramp domino stop effect and I was last in line and could not stop. My bumper was bent and grill was cracked a bit. Being a new truck I reported on insurance and had OEM only parts replaced. Not a bad wreck at all. Well, several months later, entertained the idea of trading for a smaller truck. Dealership came back with an offer of half what the truck would be worth and said it had a Carfax of "severe accident" against it. After researching into the issue, Carfax took the police report as factual. The officer put "Major damage" on the accident report. I've been back and forth with this now for several weeks. The police report is an opinion of the officer filling out the report and not facts, (it states this on the report). Carfax says if I get the officer to change his report they would change theirs for my truck. Of course that isn't going to happen...

Too many dealerships and people in general rely on this information and wrong info has cost me 25K in depreciation on a 2018 truck worth 50k. That's stealing in my book, or as Carfax would use as accurate, an "OPINION." Where can a person start as to try to stop this inaccurate info and make a difference to the auto buying world. Why do so many use Carfax as bible and think the information is always accurate?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In April 2014 we were in the left turn lane when Jeep in front decided to get out of that lane, put car in reverse and backed into our car which was much lower. It creased the hood, fender, knocked out headlights. The airbags did not deploy, we were not hurt, car was not towed, we finished our errand, drove the car home and drove it 15 miles to certified Mercedes dealer for repairs. I have documentation re: accident from repair shop listing no structural damage. So four years later we are trading this car in on a new car. The Carfax came up reporting structural damage.

The dealership which was offering us a good trade in allowance pulled their deal and would not take our car in trade. So this leaves us with monetary damage. We have been told that insurance companies sell information to Carfax. Is it possible that claims adjusters make false reports in retaliation. Our adjuster was angry because we took our car to certified repair shop of our choice instead of cut rate shop he demanded we use? Just a thought!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2006 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Platinum: ** indicates 2 owners, but it has only been registered to one couple. It also indicates that a rear-end accident (air-bags NOT deployed) and no damage was noted. This vehicle only registered to one couple since initial purchase; has NEVER BEEN INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT!!! And the vehicle remains in the hands of the original lessees/owners.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Ran report on my car June 30th. There was a false claim that "insurance company reported as total loss". I had of $3400 bodywork from me hitting something in the garage. No frame damage. Provided a letter from the insurance company (USAA) with contact information to verify not a total loss and that they never reported anything to Carfax. Weeks later nothing happening and so I spent 3.5 hrs at DMV to get the record to show no loss. Get standard emails - 2 asking for same info, 3rd not acknowledging the attachments I sent. No way to talk to a human on the phone. This is keeping me from selling the car which I need to do for the money. Plus it's the best month to sell a jeep weather wise. This is nuts that one month later and nothing. Does anyone know of an attorney or consumer advocate that can help?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Carfax cost me $7,000 when I traded my 2008 Silverado (60,000) miles for a 2019 Mini Cooper S. If you idiots are gonna report an accident, do it accurately! All you told my dealership was I had been in an accident. I ran into a concrete POST - short one I didn't see. The right front fender took damage - NOTHING else!!! PIGS! Either DON'T report your accident or fix it yourself which I should have done - would've saved $7,000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am trying to sell a very expensive car which are hard to sell. I had a prospective buyer, but he informed me that there were errors in the Carfax report and was concerned. I ran a Carfax report when I bought the vehicle and the report was clean. Now the report says that the car is under a dealer consignment and there are errors in the odometer. I have NEVER had the car to a dealer for anything than normal maintenance and have NEVER altered the odometer. I have tried to contact Carfax and they will not return my E-mails. As far as I am concerned Carfax is a scam and will never willingly have any dealings with them again and do not trust their reports.

Original review: June 19, 2018

MY PROBLEM IS THE SAME AS MANY PEOPLE REPORTED SO BEWARE!! CARFAX ARE SCAM ARTISTS!! I can just cut and paste others complaints because my situation is almost IDENTICAL!! I only needed 1 report put on MY car which I want to sell. Same as others, I very clearly clicked the 1 report button for $39.99. Credit card authorization came through at $104.99. Contacted them through website (they curiously have no phone number for consumers) and I tried calling the phone # for Dealers (1-888-788-7715) and was told they can't handle it. It's only for dealers, use live-chat or email option (nobody answers either!!).

Amazingly the charge posted on my account the right away. Nothing ever goes from authorization to post that fast. Sent a second more heated complaint through website and got a "we're on it reply". Disputed the charge through my credit card company. 4 days out and nothing has happened. Beware! They can say you clicked button you did not click and rip you off for $65 (or more). Will update this post if this resolves. In the meantime, I'm going to start going to every social media available to warn consumers!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

They appear to take advantage of electronic "he says, she says". I only needed 1 report on a car we had already decided to buy. Very clearly clicked the 1 report button for $39.99. Credit card authorization came through at $104.99. Contacted them through website (they curiously have no phone number for consumers) and was ignored. Amazingly the charge posted on my account the next day. Nothing ever goes from authorization to post that fast. Sent a second more heated complaint through website and got a "we're on it reply". Disputed the charge through credit card company. Three days out and nothing has happened. Beware! They can say you clicked button you did not click and rip you off for $65 (or more). Will update this post if this resolves. They have already wasted hundreds of dollars of my time.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Their search form requires a zip code and will only show cars near that zip code. I want to search nationwide but cannot do so. Why would you not allow a national search? Very poorly designed website and forms. Other companies are much better.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased an Expedition on 4-16-2018 and on 4-17-2018 an accident shows up on Carfax from 2-26-2018. Almost 2 months AFTER the wreck, and ONE DAY after purchase... Carfax would do NOTHING to resolve. Poor customer service.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have tried to get the Carfax report corrected for my vehicle without any success. They claim according to their 'source' there was damage to my vehicle and it had to be towed. This never ever happened. This car has never been in any accident or damaged or towed. I tried to tell them this but they kept insisting that their source has reported this. I had Geico issue a letter stating there were no claims filed for that specific date. Carfax's response to that was that not all accidents are reported to the insurance company. I told them to tell me who reported this so that I can follow up with them and try to investigate this apparent incident and that as an owner of this vehicle I have the right to know who incorrectly reported this damage and tow on it. They did not even bother replying after that. After first two emails they stopped responding to my emails altogether.

This is very frustrating and not being able to talk to someone on the phone makes it even worse. I read in one of the prior complaints that I can file a complaint with the small claims court. I will contact my attorney and do just that now. I wish there was a way to put this stupid company out of business for not verifying their sources and false reporting.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I am very upset with Carfax, I bought a certified used car in 2016 and was shown a Carfax report saying the car has never been in any accidents, Well I tried to trade that car in last night and found out that 2 months before I bought the car there was frame damage. I was told even when I completely pay this car off I will get nothing for it. I was told in 2016 things were not being reported to Carfax. This accident happened 4/20/2016. I bought it in July and this wasn't reported until July of 2017. So now thanks to Carfax I am stuck with this car no matter what.

Original review: April 17, 2018

CARFAX reported that there was structural damage done to my vehicle from an accident. This is completely false information as there was zero damage to the frame or unibody of my vehicle yet they still incorrectly reported this as an issue with my vehicle. I did not know until last week when it was pointed out to me by someone interested in my car. I have been trying to sell this vehicle for over a month unaware that CARFAX had done this and consequently I have lowered the price of my vehicle by $3k because I was getting very little responses which I blame on CARFAX incorrectly listing damages to my vehicle. I will lose $3k from selling my vehicle which is how much below the value Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book suggests the car is worth based on the features and condition of my vehicle.

I have sent them several emails, called and tried to get help via chat and they have never responded. They report false information and when the I repeatedly tried to contact them to get that information corrected with documentation including a letter from the repair facility, a complete report of the work done that does not show any frame or unibody damages, photos of the damage to my vehicle and a police report they still will not respond. If you have this happen to you take them to small claims court and you will win if you can provide the proper documentation. It is a fairly simple process to file your complaint with your local county court and very inexpensive as well.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased a vehicle from an auction. The auction uses Auto Check. Auto Check reported no fraudulent activity, so they did not announce anything about mileage discrepancy. The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) also listed nothing fraudulent. CARFAX, however, listed mileage rollback fraud. The issue was that whoever did the inspection in January 2016 input the wrong mileage. Anyone with a brain can see that this was a simple human error and nothing fraudulent. Why would anyone roll the odometer forward from 85k miles to 178k miles back to 85k miles? CARFAX notes this as odometer fraud preventing me from selling my vehicle for the fair market price.

I tried to contact CARFAX and the only phone number listed is the dealer account customer service number. I called because this does have something to do with dealer issues. The man was rude. Once I told him I was working through a dealership but had no account with CARFAX he got completely rude and impatient with me. He impatiently asked if I was on a computer.

Then he told me I had to chat with the online chat help, but they probably would not be able to help me either and then he hung up the phone. I go the chat route and the person on there is no real help. She says I have to fill out a data research form and then someone will contact me within 10-15 business days. This is costing me several hundred dollars! I want to sell this vehicle now. I have a buyer now. The buyer doesn't want to pay my asking price (which is actually lower than any rough book price), because he won't be able to retail it on his lot because of the fraudulent report on CARFAX.

CARFAX is not the be all, end all of vehicle reports. It is frequently WRONG! They need to seriously consider making some changes to their business model, or maybe the algorithm that's used to create these reports. Plus, get a phone line to help people. Help people in a timely manner. No one wants to wait weeks to fix something that can be done in 5 minutes. The online chat person said that they have a lot of discrepancies to work through and can't decide who's more important, so they don't expedite anything. Here's a thought... Don't screw up so much. Your workload will be much less! DON'T TRUST CARFAX. THEY MAKE TOO MANY ERRORS. SO ANNOYED and FRUSTRATED.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have a car for sale in which was involved in a car vs deer accident. I had a buyer until they pulled the Carfax report that stated the airbag deployed. I contacted my insurance company to ask why this was reported. They pull the claim and told me they hadn't reported that and that they would send me proof that the airbag never deployed. I contact Carfax by email because that's the only way to communicate with them. I was informed that they got their information from a police report. I asked for a copy in which they stated they didn't have and needed me to get a copy and send to them before the correction could be made. They stated that the information from my insurance company wasn't good enough.

I call and ask about the report which is from 2016 and guess what, it wasn't reported that the airbags deployed. They lie and assume to get their information. How do you report on a police report that you don't have and need a copy of. This is unacceptable, they cost me the sale of my car. I believe they should be held responsible for false information.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased Carfax before I bought a vehicle a few years ago. I ran a number of vehicles through before I found one I was willing to take a chance on. What a mistake. I travelled a long distance for the vehicle and ended up purchasing it. Much to my chagrin, the title had been salvaged in Ohio. The truck purchased by a used car dealer in Michigan who posed as an independent party on Craigslist. The title was not a salvage title in Michigan. The frame was badly rusted.

Almost one year to date of purchase the rear axle de-attached from frame while travelling on Interstate 90 in rush hour traffic, far left lane, on blind curve. I managed to cut across four lanes of traffic and park on shoulder where I heard a second noise. Upon inspection, discovered axle had indeed broken free of frame and drive shaft falling off was second noise. Very fortunate that God was with me and no injuries or damage to other vehicles occurred. But this situation should have been prevented if Carfax had really done their job. I pray no one else gets stung. Thank you for allowing me to share.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Out of curiosity I ordered a Carfax report on my 2011 Ford Edge that had numerous service calls on the SYNC system. All that was on the report was routine service calls, no problem calls. I only took that car to one Ford Dealer for all service. How can I trust a Carfax report?

Original review: March 20, 2018

Carfax is a SCAM and they often report FALSE information that will prohibit a consumer from buying/selling a vehicle. I found out over the weekend that Carfax has flagged my current vehicle for potential odometer fraud insinuating that the odometer has been "rolled back". This is completely FALSE and inaccurate. The reality is that they FAIL to keep accurate records and then report inaccuracies as the truth. Furthermore Carfax is NOT an accredited organization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Carfax has incomplete records. Really the only thing it is good for is some service records and some title transfers that are incomplete. THEY also make assumptions that may not be right, another words just guessing. They should really not do that. It is overpriced for what you get. I think a better way to spend your money would be to hire someone to inspect your vehicle if you're not confident in doing it yourself.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Ok this is a company, like Equifax, which I do not give permission to report on me especially when the report is wrong due to CarFax screw up and accuses me of odometer rollback due to their screw up - I file a complaint their response is to have me fill out the same form I had already filled out. They say in a chat room they will get back in 5 days (of course that is from the date of the 2nd form I filled out). Now it is going on the 7th work day and still no response and I seem to be blocked from the chat room. You are costing me thousands. SO NOW I WILL TRY TO BURY THEM WITH FAXS.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Carfax is a scam company! They print out many, many mistakes and HONESTLY they do not verify the car problems. They just print them without asking if the report is true or not... Use Carfax at your own risk, it is NOT a true report and the scam company CARFAX refuses to correct the problem even if I prove them wrong!!! TOO bad too many people are brainwashed with that crap!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I purchased a 2016 Cadillac Escalade that was one year old on 4/17 with a Carfax report that showed no accidents. Now I go to trade in the auto for a new auto and there was an accident that showed up from 9/16. Carfax will not honor their so called buyback guarantee. When I contacted them they said I should not rely on their report and should have gotten an inspection before the purchase. The car came with a 172 point inspection from Cadillac and they didn't catch it. Carfax has to be one of the biggest SCAMS going. The government should shut them down for misleading the public, they make millions of dollars and really provide false security when using their reports at the time you are spending your hard earned money to purchase a car/truck.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Purchased a "Certified" 2013 BMW 328xi in August 2015 with a clean Carfax report. Went car shopping over the weekend. A Carfax report was pulled from the dealership I originally brought the car from. But guess what an accident from the first owner magically appeared and wasn't recorded by Carfax until 2 years later. So now the value of my car has dropped, I owe more on the car than it's worth. The salesperson at the BMW dealership looked dumbfounded and kinda shrugged his shoulders. This smells like fraud to me. How is it that large businesses are allowed to get away with things like this. Very disappointed in Carfax which now I know is an unreliable source and BMW Gallery in Norwood, MA.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Carfax allows dealers to falsify reports. Purchased a used car from Spreen Honda in Redlands CA with their provided Carfax report. Reported it to Carfax and they do NOTHING about it. Don't ever trust Carfax reports of Spreen Honda in Redlands, CA.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased a 2007 Ford F150 for fair market value from a dealer in my city. The CARFAX provided to me on the date of purchase noted NO TOTAL LOSS REPORT. Four (4) days after I purchase the vehicle, a TOTAL LOSS appeared on the document. But wait... there's more. The date of the TOTAL LOSS was noted to be 9/17/2008. Almost five years before the report was added to the CARFAX. On my original CARFAX report, there is an ACCIDENT NOTED on a specific date, lo and behold, on the most recent CARFAX DOCUMENT, there is a TOTAL LOSS reported on that EXACT SAME DATE. What this says to me is that CARFAX had the information and mistakenly omitted it from the document. Due their negligence, I purchased a total loss vehicle for regular vehicle price. Contacting CARFAX directly has been absolutely no help. No explanation, no apology, and no hint of honoring their buyback guarantee.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

While recently searching for a used Ford F-150 I utilized Carfax reporting to check on reported accidents. I paid a price for this service which I thought I could trust. While I did find 1 or 2 useful with reports of accidents, I avoided those vehicles. I opted to purchase a 2006 with a clean accident report from Carfax. It did show an auction purchase, but that wouldn't matter as many vehicles now go through auction and I can accept that.

After I registered and insured the vehicle, My insurance sends me a letter telling me that their report shows it having FRAME DAMAGE! Thank you Carfax for your false advertising! From their website: "Be Confident in Your USED Car Purchase" and "Trust The FOX" After receiving this information from my insurance company, I went to Autocheck.com and lo and behold their report indicates "frame or unibody damage." WOW I'll never trust Carfax again! I'm calling my credit card for a refund, but doesn't come close to what I'm likely to be out $$$.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Several months after my classic Porsche (CA lic. **) had been stolen I bought the Carfax history for the car. It did not show up as stolen in the report, even though I had gone to great length to make sure that the car would be entered into every possible database of stolen cars. Now, 21 months after the theft, I got a message from Carfax saying it is time to renew the registration for that car.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I had contacted Carfax and after weeks of no reply they pull up an old and invalid police report saying my airbags deployed. I wish they knew the economic damage they cause by their recklessness and laziness. I would never do business with them had not every dealership put their blind faith into a company with no regulation other than "We won't change anything if you show us proof or not."

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

CarFax is the biggest joke around. They report that there is a "damage report" to my car with front end damage. They do not describe damage, they do not tell where in the United States this occurred, and they do not give any way to confirm or deny. When I sent them an email, (because they suck so bad you can only fax or email) they said the info was from a confidential source and could not disclose. What are they the FBI now. CarFax is a sham as most say and if anyone knows how I can sue them for reporting bogus info let me know.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

In 2011, I purchased a 2006 Chevy Avalanche from an AutoNation dealer on Sahara in LV, NV. I was shown a Carfax that had come from another dealer but with my truck vin # that showed no issues. 6 years later after many headaches and a lot of money put into my Avalanche to try to keep it running, I went back to the same dealership to trade my Avalanche back in. When they did the appraisal for the trade in for my truck, they told me it was worthless because NOW on the Carfax report, it shows my truck as a "Total Loss"! Carfax reported a Total Loss on my truck 2 years after I made the purchase!!! I had a clean title in hand, DMV registration, and insurance, and all that time I'm driving a worthless truck considered a "Total Loss"! How do I get my compensation? What's next? AutoNation has turned their back saying they did nothing wrong, Carfax is impossible to get a hold of! Yea… "Total Loss" for me!

Not sure about Carfax?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Carfax Company Information

www.carfax.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business