Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.72/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

681 Carfax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Carfax is a joke! Recently attempted to trade my vehicle and they pulled a Carfax. They told me it was in an accident. Said no, it was never in an accident. They told me it was in an accident 3 years before I bought the vehicle but wasn’t reported until a year AFTER I bought the vehicle. If you’re gonna report accidents 4 years late what the hell is the point. Don’t rely solely on Carfax, it may be all lies.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Like many others, was charged for 6 reports when I wanted 1. Apparently the order defaults to six at the very end of the order. Misleading and a cheap trick. They have no phone # and customer service ignored 6 emails. Will have to dispute with credit card company. I really needed 1 of the reports, but did not get it for fear of being charged for 6.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I contacted CARFAX to let them know they were missing vital and pertinent information on the report I bought and they said essentially too bad you got your report and we are keeping your money! I replied no problem-I will login to my credit card and a few minutes later I had my money back!!! If you just want to check the title on a vehicle google "National Motor Vehicle Title Information System" and select a provider. It will only cost you $8-10.

It seems CARFAX is more concerned with getting your $$$ than providing an accurate report and what was most disappointing to me is that they wouldn't admit they were missing vital information and refund my money! Think twice before using CARFAX, especially if you are mainly concerned about the title history-there is a much cheaper, more accurate, and easier way to get the info you need to buy with peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

My car was involved in a accident and sustained minor damage to the right front corner of the vehicle. Carfax reported damage to the right front, front, and right side which was incorrect. Carfax also reported structural damage which did not happen. The false Carfax report has destroyed the value of my vehicle. The report was generated from the local police department who has a cozy relationship with Carfax via the crashdoc.org website. I have a copy of the police report which does not state any of the false Carfax information from the subject accident.

When I contacted the police department they deny reporting the false information. Carfax is all but impossible to communicate with unless you are buying a report from them and they want to take your money. Carfax is gaining financially from all of these reports at the expense of unsuspecting car owners who are not notified of the false reporting on their vehicles Carfax report. This crap needs to stop. This company needs to be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I was at a dealship trying to trade my truck in on a new one. The dealership/Rep came out with a Carfax report. The report state my truck had damage on the report stating "structural damage reported": I had a minor incident to the right rear quarter panel but repaired at a local insurance approved body repair shop I have used for 40 years. I did not disagree with damage but it shoud have read "minor damage repaired" nowhere was the damage to frame or any other parts of the structure of the truck.

I have documentation from insurance, body shop, etc, in writing to verify this. The reporting co. Was Lexusnexis that reported it. Unable to get anyone to change the info so far. Only been able to submit info online. No one to talk with!! "Upsetting". This has cost me 12k+ in value of my truck plus several deals that I tried to make with this report on the trucks history.. Mike "I like tools in the tool box that help me do my job! But is only good if the tools/Info are accurate and true"!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I attempted to purchase a single Carfax report for a used car I was interested in buying. Once payment was submitted I received a receipt for their most expensive 6 report bundle, which I did not select. There is no customer support number for Carfax and they have not responded to any of my requests for refund. I'm now forced to file a report with my credit card company. Very poor/unethical business practices at Carfax.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I went to purchase ONE Carfax for $35, they charged me $99 for 6. I sent an email because there is no phone number to call and of course, no response. So now I have to deal with my credit card company. UGH BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I have a 2006 Honda CRV and I’m the original owner since I bought this car in Oct. 2005. About a month ago, I tried to switch my car insurance to AAA and I was told by AAA that Carfax is reporting my car as a Salvage. Neither DMV and nor my previous insurance company show my car was as salvage and was total loss at any time. I contacted Carfax and they insist that they have checked with their source and verified that my car is salvage. I asked Carfax for the name of their source but they say they can’t reveal their source and they are not willing to investigate their source’s report and correct their report. This is very frustrating and I felt being taken hostage by Carfax.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I was looking a buying a new Honda, Toyota or Mazda and trading in my 2012 Honda. The dealer each ran the Carfax and Carfax published that my car suffer a write off collision. It didn't. My car suffered damage requiring repair, which was done. I retained a clean title. My state issues a "salvage title" otherwise. I contacted Carfax. They refused to change the publicly available information. I sent them letters from the insurance company stating that the car was not written off. They refused to change the record. Carfax is disreputable. Carfax cost me $8000.00 in damages. I am pursuing legal action.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Many would THINK that NILE AUTO SALES, DENVER, CO 80220 are a reliable dealership for buying a used car. Just maybe you might want to rethink after you finish reading this. Yep, RETHINK. I received a notification from CARFAX USED CARS via the Internet that NILE had a NISSAN SENTRA 2013 for sale. The first CARFAX notification was on May 17, 2019. CARFAX sent NILE a message that I was interested in the car.

On May 18, 2019 I arrived at the car lot and begin to browse. As I walked to the side of the car lot, I seen the Nissan. I begin to look closed at the exterior. Four individuals begin to approach me. They started to push the car from its original location. I immediately asked if the car was for sale. These same individuals completely ignored me upon my arrival and browsing. One of them stated “the car has already been sold.” Based upon my arrival time I assumed the transaction had been completed for a sale. I continued my car search via the Internet and received a second notice from CARFAX that the vehicle was still for sale. A message was sent back to CARFAX that the vehicle had been sold. Again, CARFAX replied that it was still for sale.

On May 24, 2019 CARFAX update their website and advertised the NISSAN. I immediately replied to the notice and the message was sent to NILE. I returned back to the car lot on May 25, 2019 and was directly told “the car has been sold” although it was physically in pane site advertising to be sold. I took photos of the car for verification purpose and forth coming legal actions. You’ll have seen the “WIZARD OF OZ” when the CURTAIN was pulled back with the man piping the music. The remark's came across that said, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Pay no attention to individuals that are not from African is what’s behind the curtain. We ALL KNOW that when the final curtain is pulled back the first thing is said “IT IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS". Well, let’s see if this is what you think it is?

But no matter what undertaking I was referred to NILE by CARFAX. You read it right. The CARFAX USED CAR LISTING most likely has established a reputation that has been cemented for prospective customers. Their recognition is a direct result of being their customers gatekeepers for referral services

Anyone reading knows that time are valuable. Throughout virtually every referral service runs one word: TRUSTWORTHY and RELIABLE. We read daily and see countless and countless stories of individuals whom relied upon a company only for them to have wasted their time and money. We all are driven by many things and that is passionate and that is professional service.

As with any COMPANY quality services from employees are expected and vital. There is no valued and deeply cherished right than to be employed and provide that level of service. However, in some instances a company can abuse their position by refusing to sell a car it’s ILLEGAL. There is an acknowledged constitutional right to be recognized and make an argument. On the other hand, there is a general right that will clearly show an individual's rights. The mere recognition of a written complaint does not mean that the statement governs interest. This issue is important not because of the CARFAX but because NILE rightfully LIED! I realize that no organization is error-free however, it is expected that a COMPANY render a level of professionalism that reflects the organization or business goal.

Carfax expert review by Tom Rains

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

Profile picture of Tom Rains
Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carfax Company Information