Carfax

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Was trading in my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. I am the original owner, know everything about this car from day one. Everything was going well, the dealer offered me $4,000 trade in for it. We had the offer sheet in hand, we're making the deal happen. Then they pulled a Carfax report. Imagine my shock when they told me my car was a total loss! I have a clean, clear title, car has NEVER been a total loss! Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't even take my trade at all now. So, we wound up having to buy GAP insurance, finance the extra $4000, plus tax. This has cost me $6,000. Matthew at Carfax who finally reponded to my emailed correction request form basically told me "no," they won't help me, other than to correct the report. Too late, I told him, I am out at least $6,000 because of your error. I expect Carfax to make me whole!

Absolute refusal, I am now looking for anyone else this has happened to, and a REALLY good lawyer who is willing to run the distance to prosecute a class action lawsuit against Carfax for this, get reimbursed for their failure to verify their information. This, to me, is basically slander, it has caused harm, and is false reporting.

We spent two days looking for a new truck. Found the one we wanted and went in to make the purchase and trade in our current truck. Dealer came back saying that Carfax said it was only worth $1000 because it was reported as a total loss at one time. Problem is that it has never been in an accident! It has been burglarized but not to the extent that it was a total loss. 8 years ago when we were visiting our infant in the NICU, our truck was broken into. They broke a window and stole my husband's stereo. They tried to steal the truck but couldn't. As a result, they messed up the ignition and the truck wouldn't start. The insurance company fixed everything and it was never totaled, not even close! 7 years later we go to sell and because of Carfax's incompetence, the dealer wont give us what it is worth! Carfax is a bunch of **! Beware consumers! Their reports are inaccurate!

I purchased unlimited Carfax reports for 90 days. As I shop online for cars regularly, I thought this was a reputable company to work with. After my 5th purchase, I was unable to pull any additional reports. It seems as though the Unlimited is by car tag only. How many online ads do you see where the tag is clearly visible? In fact, dealerships remove the tags and most individuals cover the plate in their pictures. I believe this is deceptive and hope my poor experience with these guys will provide others a reasonable heads up to avoid the same mistake.

On 3.1.17 I joined Carfax to use for buying a truck, used 1 time and have been unable to log in since. They did take my $69.99 for service provided, have called 5 times for help, no real person to talk to. Would not recommend this service.

I was informed that a potential buyer of my vehicle was informed that there was possible odometer rollback and did not buy the vehicle. I questioned Carfax and they said they made a mistake and they were wrong in their report!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

I as well purchased the "unlimited package" only to find out on the next click of the mouse, it was for 5 VIN checks and unlimited license tag checks. I tried to contact them and was unable to get anyone to help. I emailed them and never received a response. I would not have purchased the unlimited if I had known the whole story. This company seems to have a reputation built upon hype and not facts. I will not use them again.

I purchased the BMW 2013 X5 and trusted the car history stating I still have 10-month manufacturer's warranty since the car registered in December, 2017. But I found out the warranty was expired in Feb, 2017 since the car was register in Feb, 2013. In addition, there is recall to the car but the car dealer provided me a no-recall report to be confirmed. So obviously, Carfax did not even verify the information with VIN for the date of the vehicle at all. It cannot be mistaken about the date of the registered date of the car. Where was the car before December 2013 though? I felt very disappointed and am thinking of how to claim for my right to have Carfax to fix their mistake.

I went to trade my Lexus which I purchased as the second owner from original Lexus dealer I was offered $2k less on trade in due to accident from original owner. Interesting on bottom page 2/5 one line one word accident. On top page 3/5 one line one word damage. Then full line with a new record car re-registered 07/05/11, next line 07/02/12 re-registered, next line re-registered 07/07/13 then dealer inventory with next incident registered to new owner!

I called Lexus Financial Services and opened a case for my claim of $2k. I was told one owner car no accidents. Apparently someone was being cute with a paper cutter. The dealer I traded it in with will provide me with a letter to the decrease in value. Not to beat a dead horse, the car shows two services at Nalley Lexus in Atlanta then a front impact no airbag deployed in Florida followed by more service history from Nalley Lexus.

"Funny", being facetious, not really but strange because I don't recall any incident out of state! I also didn't appreciate the Scanlon Lexus the selling dealer not reporting that I had the timing belt replaced nor any brake resurfacing rotors and pad replacement. Lexus should compensate me the $2k and Carfax owes me for damages $2k as well. I have owned many Lexus models from LS 400s, a 93 & 97, SC430 hardtop convertible, ES 330 and ES350. So far my dealings with BMW Financial Services has been excellent; with a great credit rating, I was approved and set up in less than literally 2 minutes. I am extremely happy I did not get the LS460!

I've been a long time customer of Carfax. Recently it has become more and more difficult to correct problems on a Carfax. If an independent oil change company reports incorrect data, they can simply state whatever, and it is fact. I pay Carfax for their resources. Independent oil change companies do not. I've purchased units at auto auctions with a clean Carfax, only to get the car back to the dealership and an item has been added that jeopardizes the Carfax. It's becoming a big issue and time constraint! Just sharing my frustrations! Thanks!

I was hoping Carfax would make the car buying process safer and easier by helping me to make a more informed decision about which car to purchase. Instead, I was ripped-off. I paid to be supplied with misinformation. Bad intel. When I asked for a refund, I was told "This account does not qualify for a refund as two or more reports have been ran." This is CARFAX saying "It took you three times to realize you were being fooled, so now we keep your money!" The CARFAX representative that responded was sarcastic and misspelled words.

I four reports. Three reports were vehicles I was interested in purchasing. I ran a report on a car I owned to test the reliability of the reports. One report failed to mention the car was branded "salvage." Next to the box where the report shows if the car was salvaged it says "GUARANTEED (in bright green) No Problem." A clear green light that this car is a smart choice. Another report for a different vehicle claimed the vehicle was branded "Exceeds mechanical limits" because it experiences "odometer rollover." It went on to say "Rollovers occur on vehicles with 5-digit odometers. They return to reading 00,000 once they hit 100,000." Five digit odometers are a thing of the past. This car was a 2010. This information was incorrect.

The other two reports may contain incorrect or missing information. I don't know. I can't verify what's on them. I do know, that for free, the California DMV helped more than CARFAX. I called on each of the vehicles I obtained reports on to ensure there were no "back fees" owned on them. The individual attempting to register the car (new owner) will have to pay the back fees. If you buy a car with back fees, then attempt to register it, the DMV won't allow it unless you pay the back fees that are owned. One vehicle, the DMV operator warned, DIDNT have a title. The gentlemen who was selling the vehicle CLAIMED he had a title, but the DMV representative told me the car didn't and advised me not to purchase a vehicle without a title because the process to obtain one can be tedious and expensive.

We put our loved ones and cherish pets in our cars. How is a 50% the information is reliable acceptable? What's more, on consumeraffairs.com CARFAX has over 500 complaints AND a one star rating. Yet, it's BBB accredited?!?! CARFAX will buy the vehicle if the report is found to be wrong, yet they won't provide a measly $100 refund for the same reason?!?

I was very disappointed when trying to sell my car. The dealer said that Carfax had a report that I had had an accident with the car, with damages. I never had an accident. The report caused me to get less for the value of my car, as they could only go by the Carfax report.

I went to trade my car Friday and learned CARFAX has it listed as having structural damage... I contacted the insurance company and the company that repaired my car after the deer accidents and both have told me they "never" reported anything to CARFAX and that I had no such damage! I contacted CARFAX with all of the information (written) from the 2 places and they responded with "I have submitted your data dispute and research has concluded that all information provided to CARFAX regarding the damage event is correct. So I am unable to remove the record off of the Report." This is BULL!!! Thinking a call to an attorney may be next!

I bought a used 2011 Ford Edge from Ford of Kirkland in January 2016. I was told the price was 17k. After they "discovered" my car had never been in an accident, per Carfax, the price went up to 20k. Unfortunately I did not discover this until after I had signed the paperwork. When I called the salesperson upset he kept emphasizing I had a great, lower mileage, no accident car. Of course fluids leak, transmission has issues engaging, etc. Too bad for me. I just changed insurance companies this month. Guess what? A few months prior to my purchase, my car was in an accident incurring $2700 in damages. Thanks for the CARFAX. What a worthless piece a paper.

Recently obtained a carfax which had completely false information. I contacted them to have the information removed and it was a nightmare. The customer service person Lynsey is a miserable person who likes to torment customers just to make herself feel powerful. She is spiteful, nasty and an outright ugly human being. Bottom line: If you are purchasing a used car the carfax report is useless because it's likely that significant damage was never reported. Additionally information on the report may be false, exaggerated or otherwise misleading. If you own a vehicle Carfax is just an absolute menace that will diminish the value of your property.

This is the same as so many stories here: We purchased a used vehicle a little over 3 years ago from a dealer which included a clean 1-owner Carfax report. We recently started shopping around for something bigger to replace our "one-owner, clean Carfax" car. The first dealer we went to made a reasonable offer on our car, but we couldn't find anything we liked to trade it on. A few months later, we finally found something we liked, but when that dealer valued our trade, they offered us $1000 LESS than Dealer #1 did a few months back - and said that the Carfax report showed out "Accident-Free" car had indeed been in an accident. I still had the original Carfax from when we bought it in the glovebox, so we compared the two - and a month before we went to Dealer #2, Carfax had added an accident to the car's report... FIVE YEARS after it apparently originally happened... Which was YEARS before we bought it.

So - not only did we pay more for a Carfax certified "accident-free" car that actually had been in an accident, but we also got a 1000 less at trade in time because their information was inaccurate. By trusting Carfax, we paid too much when we bought it, and got less than expected when we traded it. Maybe it isn't a perfect system, but is it better than nothing?? Actually, no - a Carfax is WORSE than not having a report at all, because an incorrect Carfax means you pay a premium, but actually have no more assurance than you do taking the previous owner's word on the car's history. And it can ONLY work against you... I highly doubt there has ever been (or will ever be) a situation where someone got a smokin' deal on a Carfax accident car, only to have Carfax determine years later that it is actually squeaky-clean and suddenly worth thousands more... If you wanna pay for a Carfax, go bonkers - but trust the info at your own risk.

Purchased a used 2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo for 20K with clean report at time... We paid top dollar for clean used car...now we go to use it for a trade in and they run report. One it says had front impact collision and the mileage at time of accident was now 500 miles less than when we are listed as new owners. Our current trade in value dropped $5K. Went to Kia dealer where I purchased it and they said "Sometimes it takes a couple of months to post." I said "2 years" they said "Well sometimes things happen." When I told them of the drop in resale value he said, "they were just trying to get you to finance more"!!! Scumbags...Not buyer beware but beware of an automobile advertising scam and reporting companies and there is No Government oversight. Oh yeah less regulations make the world more untrustworthy.

I purchased a used MB in September 2015 and the dealer gave me a "clean" CARFAX. I was in an accident in July when another driver pulled in front of me and in processing the claim, I filed a diminished value claim. Car repaired after 3 months and in checking on the DV claim was told by USAA that there was a previous accident. WHAT. They gave me the claim number and date of the accident and guess what... It was not on the CARFAX. So much for the accuracy and reliability of a CARFAX. If you read the small print, they admit that their data may not be reliable. Lesson learned - CARFAX is worthless in determining to purchase a car. I wanted a "clean" unwrecked car. What I got was one that had been damaged prior to my purchase... Defrauded by CARFAX, and unknowingly by the dealer who relied on the veracity of the CARFAX report. BEWARE.

I recently bought a used truck from a reputable dealership in Orange California and have had all my services done through them. I am currently in the market to upgrade my truck and took it into Carmax for an appraisal. When they asked me if the truck has been in an accident I responded "no". When they (carmax) ran the vin through autocheck it came back with two minor accidents reported. I had to take my truck in to get serviced again because of an engine oil leak. I recommend when buying a car, especially first time buyers, DO NOT trust the carfax report. Carfax representative sent me an email stating they use databases that accidents may not be reported to. Autocheck is a database they should implement for better quality reports. I will never trust carfax again.

I'm looking for a car for my son. I purchased the "unlimited search" and quickly found out that unlimited vin search is 5 cars. The unlimited is for plates. At most dealers there isn't a plate and lots of online ads doesn't show you the plate but will list the vin or will gladly give it to you. I went ahead and tried the "unlimited search" using the plate on a pick up that I've owned over a year and a half.... no record. Carfax is a big car fraud!

Prospective private used car buyer paid for a Carfax report. They were given incorrect mileage for that vehicle. Carfax reported the vehicle had 200,000 miles. The exact reading as of this complaint is 101,869, a difference of 98,131. That significant misinformation is now causing problems selling a perfectly good vehicle.

I had a report on my car that was not accurate. Tried to have them fix the problem. The police officer checked the wrong box and said my airbag deployed. It never did. I asked for them to call insurance company and body shop to confirm it was not deployed. They refused. If police report can't change then it stands. They need to be more helpful. It will cost me thousands.

I've been shopping for a car over the internet so I've been regularly using free or inexpensive vehicle history services. I was surprised how thorough they were and their user-interfaces were simple but effective. Today I found a car I want to make an offer on. Because of all the potential pitfalls of buying a car sight-unseen I decided to order a Carfax report to be as thorough as possible, even after being shocked by the the thirty-nine dollar cost. I had expected it to be no more than nineteen dollars, and even then I thought it was too high.

The first problem arose when it rejected three of my credit cards for no reason. I've had this happen before and the problem was on their end each time. I finally was able to use PayPal successfully but when I tried to order the report I got a message that my Adblock was preventing the report from being downloaded. My Adblock is on my toolbar and I could see that it was off, but I just kept getting the same message. I'm definitely going to try to get my money back especially after I read that the Carfax report contains pretty much the same info as the cheap reports.

Looking to sell a vehicle, I went to Carfax Canada to buy a one time report for $39.99. I followed all the prompts and clicked on the one time report for what I was led to believe 39.99 Canadian dollars. NOT SO! They sent me an instant receipt for $69.99. Immediately, I contacted "Customer Service" to express my dissatisfaction. I received a condescending reply from what I imagine is a "spin" professional (Someone who turns the truth into what they want you to believe without assuming any responsibility). Carfax offered the refund. I received my Credit Card statement, and to my total surprise, they charged me in US dollars, so my total was $93.21 Canadian. That is a far cry from the $39.99 I was led to believe.

Once again I contacted them. This time I received a reply stating that they have absolutely no obligation to reply to me, but they did regardless. They never addressed the fact of the money exchange, of course not, they are hiding Carfax Canada under their US Headquarters to justify the charges. Then I'm told to contact my bank to discuss the currency exchange. Be aware folks, be forewarned. You are dealing with an unscrupulous company. Also, check out the Market Place report on this company. The information you pay for is not always accurate or up to date. Proceed with CAUTION.

So I was looking for cars and wanna see cars' history with the VIN report from Carfax. At first, I spent 69.99 for the whole package that Carfax claimed to be "UNLIMITED", but later it turned out to be 5 checks with VIN number only. Later, I bought another "UNLIMTED" package (what other options do I have?). Then the funniest part comes, I could not log on to my account, it kept telling me wrong password. I reset the password... no luck... then it leads me to another page of buying the package. Are you ** kidding me? Carfax is the worst...

I purchased a VW Passat for my son in April, 2012. The Carfax report showed no accidents, no damage reported to Carfax. I do understand that Carfax is based upon people reporting to them. I went to sell the car yesterday, August 22, 2016 and when the dealership ran the Carfax it showed the car was a "Total Loss" back in 2009. How can Carfax suddenly have "found new info" on the car AFTER I bought, and before I sold it? Something is seriously wrong here. The dealership yesterday states that this is a serious problem with either Carfax or the dealer. I don't know which. But I just lost $5000 in value because of this problem. Buyer beware. Do NOT buy from small dealerships. Go with the big boys and pay a little more. It's worth it in the long run. Carfax will not help me at all.

I bought a car from a dealer and ran a report with Carfax, which showed a clear history. After six months when I went to sell the same car, it shows car accident record which happened two years back. The record says the accident happened two years back but they updated the record recently (after I bought the vehicle from the dealer). May be a Nexus between dealer and Carfax... and now the dealer blames the Carfax and Carfax -- oh you cannot even contact them... Just a fraud company due to whom I have now huge monetary loss when I sell the vehicle.

I have run the Carfax report prior to purchasing the vehicle on December 17, 2015. After I purchased and registered the vehicle on December 18, 2015 it turned out that the vehicle had Rebuilt status. My purchase decision was based on the report that I ran prior to purchasing the truck. Carfax report failed to show a Branded Title on December 17, 2015 when in fact it was in effect since March 14, 2014. Since then Carfax have been denying my complaint, saying that the status was salvage, but the title was not issued. My vehicle has received Salvage status in March 2014. DMV changed the vehicle title to Salvage.

In Alberta, Salvage vehicle cannot be registered. Any vehicle that is salvaged cannot be registered. I run a report on December 17, 2015. Carfax had plenty of time to report an updated status of the vehicle. Carfax is failing to stand by the guarantee. It is obvious that Carfax is coming up with excuses, in order not to stand by they guarantee. Basically, any consumer can end up in the same situation as I am and Carfax will say that it is not their fault, therefore denying the claim.

Carfax has flat out refused & ignored our repeated requests to obtain their legal department's mailing address and telephone number. Additionally, they do not provide the necessary steps, if any, on how to opt out of their report. Repeatedly, we have been met by this generic response by CARFAX: "We do not provide any personal information on the reports. Your name, mailing address or any personal information about yourself would not appear on the report. CARFAX Reports provide valuable information which helps used car buyers and sellers make better decisions and helps to keep safer cars on the public roadways."

Contrary to the above statement, CARFAX knowingly and actively solicits partnerships with agencies who link the CARFAX report to owner/registrant information. This backdoor linking with insurance companies, car dealerships, and service departments(...) trespasses on our right to privacy. CARFAX does this under the guise of protecting even allegorical buyers for vehicles that are not for sale. This practice should be illegal. CARFAX reports should be limited to owner/registrant requests. Let the buyer request the report and the owner choose to oblige or lose the sale. This says nothing of the billions lost due to incorrect or incomplete information garnered and published by CARFAX. Here even the buyer should beware. CARFAX is not a trusted source of complete vehicle disclosure. Let's find strength in numbers and fight CARFAX.

I ordered "unlimited" Carfax reports for $55. It was ONLY AFTER I ordered that it was revealed to me that I can only run five Carfax reports by VIN. Unlimited is only by plate number. Well that is silly because most cars for sale do not have a plate anymore. This is clearly a devious and misleading practice by Carfax to con people into buying the unlimited option, then only giving them five reports by VIN. So in reality this is an option for only five reports. Carfax is devious and misleading about what they sell and can't be recommended.

I went to Carfax.com, and tried to run a VIN check. It ran it... and then asked me to place an order for the product, to view the report. The order page had "Unlimited Carfax Reports" (in large, bold font) autoselected... and I ordered that... at which point, large bold words informed me I had unlimited LICENSE plate look-ups... but only FIVE VIN look-ups!! I went back to the original order page and there were a total of three options... 1 Carfax Report (large print, no explanation underneath); 5 Carfax Reports (large print); and the autoselected Unlimited Carfax Reports (large print)... with FINE print underneath, that said, "Unlimited Reports by U.S. License Plate Valid for 60 Days". I consider this EXTREMELY misleading... since the TITLE does not indicate that there is anything different from the other two options--which ARE for VIN look-ups only.

I asked for a refund, was offered 20 more VIN look-ups, instead of unlimited license plate look-ups--but was so unhappy with the misleading sales techniques, that I told them no, I just wanted a refund. I got it... although "it will take 3-5 business days for it to show up". :( I cannot comment on their product... since I will not be using their services now--but I did ask the rep to pass on my comments about how misleading that was. :/

I was also disappointed that there was no way I could speak with a live person--I found no phone numbers on their website. My options were an email request (which I submitted) and a live chat (which I used). I prefer to speak with someone on the phone when I have a problem with a purchase... but I will admit that the live chat gave me what I wanted (a refund) quickly, and without any hassle. My "medium" customer service ratings are because it was difficult finding how to contact someone... and I wound up in a loop, a couple of times.

Carfax Company Profile