Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Dealerships

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Carfax Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2020

On 6/15/17 I purchased a one owner, off lease vehicle. Clean CarFax from the dealer. Being an ASE Certified auto technician and "car guy" I looked the car over thoroughly. No issues. I recently went to trade in the vehicle 3/2020 and was informed on 12/3/17, 6 months after registering the vehicle, damage was reported. Date of incident, 6/12/15. 30 months prior to my purchasing. Reports states first available for viewing on CarFax 12/3/17 so I had no way to know. Dealer had no way to know. I contact CarFax and requested details of this "Damage". Keep in mind the car is a Soul Red Metallic. To properly repair it you need a 3 stage paint. (Similar to a candy color). The claim it was reported from a reputable source that wishes to remain nameless. They told me to take their word for it, there had been damaged.

I had the Mazda dealer body shop look at it. They can't find any damage or evidence of repainting. Had my insurer run a VIN check. They said that damaged had been reported against the VIN but then it had been canceled, often meaning the wrong VIN had been reported. They said as far as they were concerned the vehicle didn't have any damage. CarFax says, "Go away. We don't have to substantiate anything to you." For being the industry standard for vehicle reporting that's a pretty low standard. I'm contacting Federal legislators. If you cant provide documentation and photos it didn't happen in my book. Now I'm stuck with a car that can never be traded at a dealer because of bad CarFax info.

Original review: March 18, 2020

VERY DISHONEST business practices that I will be reporting to the Better Business Bureau. I CANNOT believe these guys have not gotten a class action lawsuit against themselves yet. I selected 1, THAT IS 1 FREAKING report and you charge me for 6 and now they WILL NOT respond to my request for assistance. I will be disputing this charge with my credit card company and I will NEVER use Carfax again. I have contacted them 4 times and have gotten nothing but automated responses, the only phone number available will not let you talk to a person. Autocheck has better information, cost less and does not have any B.S. scams. ** <- Use this if you want a reputable source of information and not some intentional scam of making it as hard as possible to correct an order!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I recently bought a used car from a private seller. Before purchasing, I wanted to see a CarFax so I went to the site. I didn't realize that it defaults to the most expensive option until after I checked out. I then went in to purchase the option I wanted (3 CarFaxs instead of the max), figuring that they would notice the double-charge and contact me...especially since I added a note to my 2nd charge. No response, so I asked PayPal to dispute it with a detailed explanation. After two weeks, I receive an email from Paypal saying they received no response to my claim! I cannot believe that in 2020 a company like this would be so incredibly dismissive of an obvious mistake. I realize they have a monopoly, but I STRONGLY urge everyone to be extremely careful when dealing with CarFax!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I purchased a 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan from a used car dealer, January 2017. I traded the vehicle in recently and discovered it had a structural damage event on the Carfax report; resulting in the trade-in being approximately 1/3 of what was expected. Incident was reported to Carfax in August 2016, but was not put on the vehicle report until March 2017.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Carfax is reporting Structural damage to my 2012 Volvo XC 60. There was some fender damage due weight of snow collapsing a carport onto the vehicle. The carfax report has completely devalued the car for no reason with an outright lie. They refuse to respond beyond the email that says help is on the way, then nothing! Useless company.. I can't find a phone number to call and complain. I will not stop until this is resolved to my satisfaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

After reading through the page below, I've come to realize that the "web glitch" which led to me being charged for a 6 pack vs. the 1 pack I ordered, is not a glitch at all - it's a feature...for them! Not only that, they charged me twice for it. Just as with everyone else, they are non-responsive to email requests, support tickets, and there's conveniently no phone number to call. At this point, it appears they are engaged in straight up fraud vs. the business they claim to be running.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Reading reviews after the fact, I realize I'm not the only one this has happened to, but I went to purchase a single report and the website hung, or glitched, or I don't know what happened, but it changed from a single report for $49 to the 6 for $99. So I was charged $99. They will not respond to e-mails. They will not supply a phone number. I've been trying for five days with not one response.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Bought a 2005 Mini Cooper and dealer failed to supply a copy of the Carfax, although I reviewed it. I went online to purchase my own so I had the history, and somewhere after selecting the option of one report for $39, the website refreshed or managed to get itself back to the $99 option as I completed my purchase. I immediately contacted Customer Service via the email portal and requested my billing be changed to reflect the one report price. After a week of replying daily to the email case that I received asking for some status, any status, I have given up. I will place a review though on this poor customer service on every review site I can find. Also will submit a BBB complaint. Do NOT expect this company to supply and customer service for your problem.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Carfax falsely reporting a wreck on my trucks Carfax. Really screws my chances of getting what my truck is worth now that I’m trying to sell it. Only way to dispute it is over email and they’ve 100% completely ignored me. They will reply to your comment saying they sent you a message. The message will say they’re looking into it but then again no response. Zero accountability for this company. You are guilty until proven innocent and It’s up to you to prove it. Garbage company...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Eye opening to learn that a Clean CarFax on a used vehicle means basically NOTHING. I purchased a low mileage 2006 Honda Pilot, by seeking info from the Last Honda Shop who serviced the vehicle to see if a Timing belt was changed, I come to learn that a Remanufactured Engine was put in. Nothing on the CarFax about this.. Eye opening. I feel this SHOULD have been reported.. Maybe not CarFax's fault.. But there needs to be MORE RULES about what is reported.. Timing Belts that can destroy an engine should be mandatory reporting and swapping engines should be reported also.

Carfax expert review by Tom Rains

CarFax is well known for providing comprehensive vehicle history reports that detail all previous damage and ownership history. It works with over 28,000 dealerships nationwide to sell a variety of used cars. You can sign up for alerts on recalls and necessary maintenance reminders to make sure your car is in tip-top shape. The accompanying mobile app receives strong reviews from users.

• Helpful filter options: Filter CarFax’s selection of vehicles by year, make, model and additional features to help you find the right car.

• Free vehicle history report: This detailed history report, CarFax’s most famous offering, lets you know just about everything about your car, from damage history to prior owners to warranty information.

• Keep track of what your car needs: With CarFax, you can sign up for alerts on recalls, find reliable service shops near you and stay alert on when your car needs maintenance.

• Filter by owner history: With CarFax’s filters, you can opt for a car with no accidents or a car with just one previous owner.

• Highly rated mobile app: CarFax’s mobile app can help you find a used car or search a vehicle’s history right from your phone.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

Carfax Company Information