3.9/5 (253 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Carfax

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carfax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I enjoy the fact that I can pick and choose cars according to different criteria. I am able to see cars within my zip codes and other zip codes. This is the best car app to buy or get general information about cars.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Bought Carfax report for car bought in EU. Report cost 15E and there was just information about 2 years of car history. The car is now 24 years old. I will never buy this report again. The information was worthless.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

The used car I bought in 2019, I saw from Carfax. I found everything was just as described on their website. The car had all the features I wanted. I'm planning on buying another car and Carfax is where I'm searching. I trust Carfax.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Carfax is very helpful in storing an automobile's important information such as a vehicle's description, providing an updated maintenance report plus you can shop for a used ride. Carfax is your best Friend!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Bought a car from a used dealership who paid to have carfax reports available. I am the primary caregiver for my mother who has Dementia. I had to buy the car online, because mom requires 24/7. So l used the Carfax report to decide if I should buy the car. I should never have done that, because various parts of the report were misleading. So I ended with a car that had more problems than the report mentioned, and it rated it a good buy. Shame on them. It took me almost 2 months to even drive the car. And I am still dealing with problems; unfortunate for me, and shame on Carfax for providing misleading information.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

CARFAX report on 2019 Cadillac XT4 in Maryland describes the car as a one-owner. The report CLEARLY shows the car being offered for sale twice, and purchased twice. That would clearly make it a 2-owner vehicle. CarFax will not address the errant information unless I first purchase the car. Seriously???

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I was selling my 2003 Corvette and CARFAX had a record of it having been in an accident! My car had never been in an accident but they would not remove the false record! My buyer came back and offered me $900 less than the agreed upon price due to CARFAX ERROR! Later on CARFAX admitted to the error but would not reimburse me for the $900 their error cost me! Now I'm pissed every time I see their commercial and how they call their information facts and allude to its reliability. CARFAX are NOT NECESSARILY FACTS NOR RELIABLE! Buyer & Seller BEWARE OF CARFAX!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

prices are outrageous, we went from 300 to 800 for a small 50 car dealership over the course of a couple years. Then when we moved locations had a brief period of having 2 locations (which the sales guy knew and said he would simply rate that at service only) so they automatically doubled our billing to 1600 per month with no notice or exceptions. Thankfully we did not let them take our ACH info for automatic payments so we are still disputing the bill but they are not willing to budge at all. They've grown to a point that they can charge what they want and don't care about customer service. I'm in the car business so negative reviews are not something I'm a fan of, but in this case I feel completely railroaded and hope other small dealers don't get the same. Get AutoCheck instead!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Carfax is not exactly a great place to shop as the customer needs to inspect the car thoroughly. We found multiple problems (bad hinges on trunk, mirror discolored, only one electronic key, etc) that were not disclosed to us.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

When I went to trade in my vehicle, the Carfax report came back showing that my car had been in a major roll-over accident. This accident never occurred. Somehow my vehicle's VIN number had been used for a report which was most likely fraudulent. I tried to contact Carfax but was unable to have this issue addressed. This fraudulent report, corroborated by Carfax, severely impacted the value of my vehicle negatively. Carfax is just as responsible as the originators of the fraud for validating it and making it unimpeachable. How can a company take value away from your property without verifying it? In my opinion, Carfax is scamming the automotive industry, perpetuating fraud, and damaging consumer rights.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I want to know the history of the car so I’m not going in blind and it also tells you the market value plus all the options and mileage. How many owners recalls how much warranty is left or can it be extended.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I purchased a Carfax report for a vehicle that I ended up buying. The Carfax report had stated that the vehicle was "normal" branding while it was a "salvage" when I wanted to register it. They opened up an investigation that took more than 2 weeks and accepted that their report was not correct (and in fact misleading). They did not bother to pay any compensations other than the cost of the report. Totally lost my trust in Carfax products and will never refer to them again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Hard to narrow down a search with this services filter, you put in criteria of car, color and other features and it does a dump of cars outside the criteria -- and you get like 200 cars... Guess they want to throw all out there to see what could stick. Won't use them anymore.

Original review: July 21, 2021

My Mini Van has a wrong accident reported in the history report I got from Carfax. I have been contacting carfax customer care through their website and no response in a week. This erroneous report has affected the sale of the Van and loss of value

Original review: July 20, 2021

Waiting on a new title from NY Carfax for My new vehicle. We have now been waiting 3 weeks. When others have came within days. Really ridiculous and unprofessional. Response time says typically 7-10 days.

Original review: July 5, 2021

When I bought my car it was “Clear CARFAX”, and now after 4 years, CARFAX says there was an accident 4 years before I bought my car, it was reported 3 months after I bought the car. Carfax is a total bogus, does not mean **. Don’t waste your time and money on them.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I ran a Carfax report and as you know they not free. Well I trusted the report. Bought the vehicle and to my bad luck it was reported stolen before I bought. Now I lost the vehicle, my money I spent for it and the money I spent for the report and nothing I can do. Shame you have to spend money for an incorrect vehicle report but this is an experience for me that vehicle was reported stolen and wrecked and carfax didn't catch it.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I’d give it 0 stars if I could. I’ve spent over a week now trying to get a false damage report on my vehicle removed. With provided proof that nothing was damaged. In August I had purchased a new GT4 bumper for my Porsche and had it installed not only did they report the date on 7/7 which is the incorrect date (it was installed on Aug 17th and quoted on 5/7). They also reported my car was damaged. I still own the original bumper which is in perfect condition and have the receipts from the shop not to mention am good friends with the owner of said shop.

Carfax still has not removed the false report. They say they are not reliable for false reports, however they are reliable for false reports when provided evidence proves otherwise. Not only is this now a defamation case it’s complete fraud. You can’t be the “standard” when it comes to accurate car history reporting and do fraud reporting claiming it’s not your fault. I urge everyone to never trust Carfax reports ever again. I can’t be the only one who has experienced this.

Original review: April 12, 2021

This is a great way to look at cars And another way to see what others are saying about the cars with the looks and process. This also helped me buy another car because it describes how it was going to work out.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I recently went online and purchased one report for one vehicle I was buying, debated about buying the package of three but I opted not to and just paid for the one. Well, a couple weeks later I looked at my bank statement and got charged for two separate, one report packages at $40 each and they will not respond. Seems like this is very common for them to overcharge people, this should be illegal and it’s a total scam. So many people are having similar problems of being overcharged and nothing is being done. I will NEVER buy another Carfax... EVER!!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

Carfax provides the most up to date information on autos; a great site to research for buyers. You can also provide input and updates on your vehicle. Most auto dealers use, in fact dealers generally mention and recommend using Carfax for customers to check out used inventory. Carfax data on vehicles are almost always seen on auto dealer websites.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Their prices for trade in and new purchases are accurate. Their continued update on vehicle maintenance are very helpful. Use Carfax when considering a car change or when our children are considering a new car or pre-owned.

Original review: March 17, 2021

We have a small car dealership and I contacted Carfax for a quote for vehicle reports as we currently use Autocheck and were just curious if we could afford it. Sales rep Brandon ** was the one who contacted us. After trying to sell us on it before even giving us prices, he finally sent over the info. By this time we had been in contact on several calls and emails, which is beyond excessive. Finally I get the info. So for just 10 reports, we'd be paying what Autocheck is for unlimited reports. So obviously, not worth it for us.

I wrote him back an email that we can't afford that and thanks for his time. Again he emailed, and I said no. Next I received a call which I declined. Again I received a call the next day so I answered it rather than dodge this sales rep the rest of my career. I told him that I already stated that we can't afford it. He has the nerve to ask why I even contacted them, to which I responded because we wanted a price quote. He continued to grill me, at which point I said "Enough. Okay, I know what you're doing. I know it's your job to sell, but I already told you we can't afford it, and you're continuing to pester us. With all due respect, I'm not interested, thank you."

He continued talking and saying that we CAN afford their service, and obviously they're going to be better and more expensive than Autocheck. He went on and on even stating "With all due respect I AM NOT pestering you". I hung up on him. This level of disrespect with a company is disgraceful and I will continue to spread the word about it. This is the least professional company I have dealt with in my business.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I've used Carfax for years when researching vehicles and find their reports provide valuable information when assessing the history of a car. However, I recently learned that Carfax only provides information based on paid subscriptions to their service from car dealers. In selling our car, I found that the record of the original purchase from our Cadillac dealer, and 6 years of service records with the dealer were missing. When I inquired, I learned that our dealer, one of the largest and most respected network of luxury car dealerships in North Texas, did not subscribe to Carfax. I had copies of the original purchase record and all service records, and asked Carfax to add them to my vehicle report so prospective buyers would have complete information.

Carfax refused to do so stating "legal reasons". There are no legal reasons. I own the sales and service records for my car and asked Carfax to publish them. They refused to do so because they aren't getting paid for it, even though they charge consumers to buy an incomplete report and lead purchasers to believe their reports provide a full vehicle history.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I never like wasting my time. Before using Carfax, I had a favorable impression of the service. However, I've been looking for a new car on the Carfax website and twice in a row I left my contact information for a car that I was interested in. According to the website, the dealer/seller should contact me after I place my contact info demonstrating that I am interested in the car. But I get NO RESPONSE! I'm beginning to size up this site as a bait and switch. No more am I going to waste my time on this site chasing a car that either doesn't exist or is simply just a sneaky way to give my contact information to some sleazy car dealer. No more!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Carfax is an excellent company. I have nothing but great things to say. Excellent, friendly customer service & very quick to resolve issues. They emailed me back in a few hours & my problem was resolved immediately. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Trying to contact Carfax on reference ticket that I created four days ago. I have been waiting on a email, but since I haven't receive any response, I decided to contact them. They expect me to pay to contact them, this is the absolutely ridiculous, the worse I have seen in customer service. I will never pay to contact a customer service.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My salesman Todd ** Is a top notch salesman. His level of expertise is one of a kind. If you are looking for a newly used car Todd is your man! You can find Todd @ George’s used cars, located in Brownstown Michigan. Out of 5 stars I rate Todd a 6????

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

In the market for a 2015 Jeep I purchased a Carfax report before making my decision on the purchase. This Jeep had a clean slate according to the report from Carfax. Fast forward to beginning of the year my car started acting up and having problems. Thinking this is a simple tune up issue I visit my local Autozone. It was to my surprise that when the vehicle was inspected that the gentlemen at Autozone asked me if I was involved in an accident. The moment he said these words my heart dropped. I explained to them that I just recently purchased this vehicle 45 days ago after seeing a clean history reported by Carfax.

The mechanic at Autozone proceeded to show me the structural damage and modifications that were done to my Jeep. I was in complete disbelief at this point in time. I did my due diligence.. How did this happen? I started searching online for resources that will show auction history so I could potentially trace back what happened. Well... I did find the website and got the unfortunate news in the auction data that came back up on the vehicle report. The jeep had been smashed and sold at an auction. See the report below which I have included. How does Carfax not have such vital information? I have yet to receive answers. **

After reading reviews online I have come to a general understanding that CarFax is too big to care. Credit card companies side with them as they provide "billing" -- their pages are designed in a way for you to opt for multiple vehicle report packages. The fact that the report you've overpaid for will now expire in 30 days and be inaccessible. You'll now need to purchase it again. I have contact Carfax in 3 separate instances and even used my wife's email thinking it's something wrong with my inbox! BUYERS BEWARE

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I ordered one Carfax report for one vehicle for $39.99, and I was charged $99.99 without knowing it. Until I checked my credit card. I disputed the charges from my credit card company. As a result, I received $50 credit back from carfax and it was supposed to be $60.00 I resubmitted for dispute, I want my $10 credit back! I have lost confidence in how they do business. Very dishonest and unprofessional. I will never want to deal with this company.

Carfax Company Information