Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.72/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

680 Carfax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My son purchased a used F250 truck in Texas. The Carfax was clean. It reported one owner. We thought we had a good truck. It was very evident it was in a flood. The Carfax did not report this. He was going to purchase another used truck. Same thing, clean Carfax and the two trucks we looked at were from Houston and were flood trucks. Buyer beware, Carfax does not report this.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Bought a 2014 slightly used car in 2014 with 5000 miles on it. Carfax was clear of ANY damage. I was gonna trade it in in 2018 but was told the car had been wrecked according to Carfax. So at some point AFTER I received the clean Carfax these idiots marked my car as wrecked with safety concerns by the 1st owner. I had no option but to let them take it to auction. The money I would have used to trade with is now gone. Carfax can take their so called service and stick it. It is worthless, I will refuse to use their crap service. There are other services out there. How they are still the go to for car reports is freaking ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I just learned that a common scam with Carfax is reporting accidents that never happened. We are trying to trade in our 2018 Kia Sorrento. It is a lease car. Like so many others, that’s when we found out Carfax shows it has been in an accident. This is completely false information. About three months ago, my husband called me at work to make sure I was alright because our insurance contacted him about an accident claim. The supposed accident happened in a town two hours away. I told my husband that I was at work, and walked out and snapped a photo of our car in the parking lot. The insurance company questioned us...how did they know we hadn’t rushed and repaired the car, they asked my husband. Are you kidding? How did they know it was in an accident...there were no photos, no police report, basically no proof.

Insurance told us the license and vin matched the accident report! We went round and round with our insurance, and thought this was taken care of. It was not. The “accident” and damage is on the Carfax report. Currently, our insurance is working with us to help dispute the claim, but we will likely have to get an attorney. There is no police report, no name, only a claim number! Our insurance says the report to Carfax was not done by them, so they aren’t able to remove it. The moral is that anyone can make up or steal your Vin and insurance information, and file an accident report on you, and it is up to the victim to dispute and remove the false information. What a great way to cost us thousands of dollars in vehicle value! Carfax is a huge scam and should be ignored.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Carfax can only tell you what they are told by car dealers... For example; dealer reports that vehicle had to have an electrical check when in reality the system shorted out. But they don't tell Carfax that. Dealers were, and are what they will always be; sneaks. By looking at my vehicle report, you wouldn't recognize it as my car. Carfax did a good job but they can only report what they're told.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Company is very expensive and does not have accurate information when it comes to used vehicles. They want you to pay big dollars to list your used cars for sale. I listed my brand new truck for sale with a clean title that I had, next thing you know I go online to look at my truck. The ad stated total loss vehicle. I had called Carfax. They had requested that I faxed my title to them. Lo and behold next day Carfax states they would not remove the total loss brand and they proceeded to state that you can still have a clean title and the vehicle be a total loss. Are you kidding me? This truck was never ever in a accident at all. Everyone be smart and save your money. Have your mechanic go over your next vehicle. Carfax is a 3rd party who knows nothing about used cars. They collect data that's all they do. Lotta times it's inaccurate. Beware Carfax is a Scam!!!! Be smart consumers. Save your money!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carfax?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I opened a case (case no. **) with Carfax about a week ago when I was trying to sell my car and found out a damage reported on my car back in March 01, 2016. I leased out my 2015 Mazda CX-5 on Dec 6th 2014 from McDonald Mazda in CO and have been driving it since then. Serviced it on time every six months and kept it in meticulously. With growing family I planned to sell it and buy something bigger. To my surprise I found out a damage reported back in 2016. So I opened up a case with Carfax to which they responded that the report came from a trusted source and they cannot disclose who it is. All they can say is that it was a frontal damage and nothing else. They say "Damage can be a result of many different types of events. Examples include contact with objects (other cars, trees, traffic signs, road debris, etc), vandalism, reconditioning, or weather-related events."

This is something unacceptable since I am the only owner and have never given anyone else to drive it. And I know for sure that nothing ever happened to it ever since I have owned it. Don't know what I can do to correct the mistake they made on my report. What could possibly have happened is someone else's car was damaged and by mistake my VIN got entered by whoever reported. Suggestions are requested.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner. The top was damaged when a limb fell on it from a storm. I turned the claim into USAA insurance and had the work done by Caliber Collision on Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville, Florida. The truck was returned to me and looked great. After a while I decided to upgrade to a new Tacoma. Imagine my surprise when I was told the Carfax stated that the vehicle had "structural" damage and that this would lower the value by $5000. After researching this I can not determine whom stated it had that damage. The repair facility claims they had not stated structural damage and USAA also claims they did not. No one wishes to accept responsibility for this and I just have to "suck it up". Let me explain, that when I feel put upon by a large company that will not "do the right thing" I become very determined. Should this not be corrected in what I feel is a reasonable amount of time it will escalate.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

My truck was hit in a parking lot. I have Geico Insurance and took it a Body Shop approved by Geico, ACE Auto Body, Fort Collins, CO. I went to sell the truck to Dellenbach Chevrolet in Fort Collins, CO. They showed us that on Carfax that it shows that my truck has Structural Damage. I called ACE and they claimed there is no Structural damage and they do not ever report anything to Carfax. I called Geico and they claim that they never report anything to Carfax. I notified Carfax and they claim that an entry (in their view is structural damage).

I asked who reported this and they are not and will not let me know who reported it. I want to know to see who is lying or if the entry is being reported wrong. My truck is taking a hit of -$10k for Structural Damage. Both Geico & ACE swear that neither one reported! Carfax is holding information that I feel should be revealed to me because I am losing money from a sale on my truck that I don't feel I should not because of false reporting.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I went on the website as a guest and requested a report for a vehicle. As soon as a put in the credit card information a error message came up. My card was charged immediately. I requested a refund and was never contacted. I chatted with a customer service rep because that was the only way they could be contacted which I think is inconvenient. They basically said they see the transaction but could like give the refund and the I needed to call my bank and the tech department.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Carfax is the number one reporting tool used by all dealerships. As a monopoly they have a responsibility to report Accurate information. We purchased a vehicle with a clean Carfax so we thought. Until we brought it in as a trade in & were offered a 1/3 of its worth. Imagine our surprise when we were told the Jeep had two previous accidents & Carfax just started reporting them three months ago. The accidents happened back in 2013. I would have never made the purchase If the correct facts were reported. So, who regulates this dysfunctional company? Who is responsible for compensation against their negligence? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Carfax Company Information