Find the Best Assisted Living in Los Angeles, CA
Top 8 Los Angeles Assisted Living Facilities
A Place for Mom
|Read 6 Reviews|
Assisted living referral service. Paid for by participating communities and free to use. Provides a local advisor, tour scheduling and move-in support. Caregiving and independent living assistance.
|Garden of Palms||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, memory care and independent living in West Hollywood. Provides kosher dining, a 24-hour staff, a schedule of activities, housekeeping, laundry service and a wellness program.
|Glen Park Healthy Living||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living and memory care in Glendale and other areas around LA. Provides 24-hour staffing, dining service, fitness programs, medication management and a calendar of social events.
|Hollenbeck Palms||Read Author Review|
Offers independent living, memory care and assisted living in Los Angeles. Provides scheduled activities, transportation to shops and doctors' appointments, laundry service, and fitness programs.
|Melrose Gardens||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living facility and memory care in Los Angeles. Located near shops and restaurants. Provides 24-hour care, transportation, a schedule of activities and excursions, and meal preparation.
|Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and memory care in Los Angeles. Provides personalized care and assistance with meals, bathing, dressing, medication and transportation.
|Sisters of Nazareth||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living, memory care, hospice care and palliative care in Los Angeles and internationally. Includes walking paths, a dining area, social lounges and a chapel on its LA property.
|Windsor||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and skilled nursing in Glendale and other areas around LA. Provides on-site dining, fitness programs, game nights, scheduled activities and religious services.
Drawbacks and benefits of assisted living in LA
When deciding whether or not to move yourself or a loved one to an assisted living facility, it’s important to consider your overall financial, social and daily needs and whether or not Los Angeles can provide that support.
Benefits of assisted living in Los Angeles:
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the California Department of Social Services regulate assisted living facilities in California, ensuring that all residents are protected.
- Year-round warm, dry weather makes Los Angeles comfortable and inviting for people of all ages, including older adults.
- All public transportation in LA is required to be accessible for people in wheelchairs or using mobility devices. Los Angeles County also provides curb-to-curb service for riders with disabilities during hours when regular transit is not available. Seniors age 62 and older can apply for a reduced fare TAP card to save up to 80% on fares.
- Cedars-Sinai, Kaiser Permanente and UCLA have many hospitals and medical facilities throughout Los Angeles. Cedars-Sinai is known for cancer treatment, in particular.
Drawbacks of assisted living in Los Angeles:
- California taxes are not as favorable to retirees as those in some other states. Withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed, as is public or private pension income. However, Social Security income is not taxed by the state.
- Los Angeles has a much higher rate of crimes per square mile than the national median— 282 in LA vs. 31.1 in the U.S. at the time of publishing, according to NeighborhoodScout. The rate of property crime in Los Angeles is 25.78 per 1,000, which is slightly higher than the national median of 24. The rate of violent crime in LA is 7.6 per 1,000 residents, much higher than the national median of 4.
- Parts of Central Los Angeles are accessible by bus and train, but the city is generally easier to navigate by car.
How much does assisted living cost in Los Angeles?
The cost of assisted living in Los Angeles ranges from $3,800 to $9,750 per month on average. This fee usually includes housing, daily meals, housekeeping, laundry service, wellness and safety checks, medication management and activities.
Incontinence care and help with dressing, grooming and bathing can add to the cost of assisted living, depending on how the facility structures its pricing. In general, the greater the need for services, the greater the price of assisted living. Companies typically charge extra for private caregivers, special needs and moving in, too.
Many facilities offer payment plans, but a lump-sum payment can sometimes save you money over a monthly fee. If you’re unable to afford the facility you have your eye on, talk to it about reducing services or amenities to fit your budget.
Los Angeles assisted living FAQ
- Are there different levels of assisted living?
- Yes, but they’re not necessarily distinct. The term “assisted living” refers to a variable level of care that changes even within individual facilities. Retirement communities typically also offer different levels of care outside of assisted living, including independent living, memory care and skilled nursing. This means that it’s not uncommon for a facility to offer both assisted living and other levels of care.
- How much does assisted living cost for a couple in Los Angeles?
- A private assisted living suite or apartment in Los Angeles starts at around $5,500. However, assisted living facilities often charge a much smaller fee for the second person since they’re sharing the residence.
- Does Medicare pay for assisted living in Los Angeles?
- Medicare does not cover the cost of assisted living in Los Angeles. However, supplemental Medicare advantage plans might have provisions for long-term care that can be used to cover some costs associated with assisted living.
- What is the difference between assisted living and a nursing home?
- A nursing home provides round-the-clock medical care and monitoring for those unable to care for themselves. Skilled nursing facilities require a doctor’s prescription and are set up more like hospitals. Assisted living offers care based on residents’ needs while maintaining their independence. Residents typically live in their own suites, apartments, or cottages and can access activities while receiving assistance with minor medical care and daily living activities.
- What Los Angeles regulations protect older adults in assisted living facilities?
- California assisted living facilities operate as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs). RCFEs must hold a license from the California Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) and have a continuing care contract approved by the state. The California Code of Regulations' Title 22 and the RCFE Act govern the operation of RCFEs in the state.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Los Angeles assisted living community information
Melrose Gardens offers assisted living, but it specializes in memory care. Care levels beyond assisted living include its Club Melrose for mild cognitive impairment, the Cottages for Alzheimer’s care and its Wellness Program. The community is close to shopping and dining opportunities. Amenities include a 24-hour staff, transportation to medical appointments, home-cooked meals, field trips, manicures, pedicures, live entertainment, pet visits and an adopt-a-grandparent program.
- Located in: Los Angeles
- Address: 960 N. Martel Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90046
- Phone: (323) 928-4366
- Website: melrosegardens.com
Garden of Palms is a Jewish assisted living, independent living and memory care community in West Hollywood. Independent living includes daily gourmet meals, housekeeping and personal laundry service. Assisted living offers the same plus assistance with medication and hygiene. The facility can also implement its holistic wellness program for any resident. Amenities include kosher meals, private apartments and bathrooms, garden patios, live entertainment, a 24-hour staff, field trips, daily housekeeping, tailored health and fitness support, and an on-site theater. Garden of Palms is located near several major LA hospitals, too.
- Located in: Los Angeles
- Address: 1025 North Fairfax Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90046
- Phone: (424) 239-5051
- Website: gardenofpalms.com
Hollenbeck Palms offers residential and assisted living in a park-like setting with panoramic views of Los Angeles. The facility also provides 24-hour assistance, skilled nursing and memory care, including an on-site memory enhancement center. Amenities include a seven-day activity schedule, transportation to medical appointments and shopping, free laundry facilities and service, trips and special events, a gated perimeter with security staff, gardens, a full gym, exercise classes, an ice cream parlor, a library, a beauty shop, and game rooms. The facility offers flexible financial entry plans.
- Located in: Los Angeles
- Address: 573 South Boyle Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90033
- Phone: (323) 263-6195
- Website: hollenbeckpalms.com
Windsor, a HumanGood community, is an assisted and independent living facility in Glendale. Residents can choose apartment- or cottage-style living. Skilled nursing care is available on-site if needed. Amenities include chef-prepared meals, gardens, a fitness center, game nights, craft and painting classes, planned outings, spiritual and worship services, birthday parties, an in-house choir, a billiard room, a library and Dakim brain fitness classes. Windsor is located close to shopping, dining, museums and theaters, and financing options are available. HumanGood, Windsor’s parent company, also operates facilities in Bradbury, Duarte, Irvine, Redlands and select states.
- Located in: Glendale
- Address: 1230 E. Windsor Road, Glendale, CA 91205
- Phone: (747) 800-4941
- Website: humangood.org/windsor
Sakura Gardens of Los Angeles offers independent living, assisted living and memory care. The facility offers a mix of independence and support, with a personalized care plan for each resident. Staff can assist with meals, medication management, incontinence care, bathing, dressing, mobility and transportation. Sakura Gardens also offers a proven music memory care program for residents with Alzheimer’s, dementia or other cognitive challenges. Pacifica Senior Living, its parent company, also operates communities in Northridge, Newhall, Anaheim, Chino, Costa Mesa, Chino Hills, Laguna Hills, Riverside and select states.
- Located in: Los Angeles
- Address: 325 South Boyle Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90033
- Phone: (323) 212-5811
- Website: pacificaseniorliving.com
Glen Park Healthy Living is a family-owned chain of assisted living and memory care facilities. Its location on Boynton Street in Glendale provides daily housekeeping and laundry, bathing, dressing, 24-hour staff, doctor and nurse visits, three daily meals, snacks, social programming, medication coordination, physical activities, group outings, community events, educational programming and family meetings. Activities there include pet therapy, art therapy and live entertainment. All of Glen Park’s facilities are pet-friendly.
- Located in: Glendale, Valley Village, Monrovia and Long Beach
- Address: 1250 Boynton St., Glendale, CA 91205
- Phone: (818) 246-9000
- Website: glenparkhealthyliving.com
Sisters of Nazareth is an international nonprofit Catholic organization that cares for older adults. Its Nazareth House of Los Angeles offers assisted living, independent living, memory care, hospice care and palliative care. The facility is located on five acres in the Cheviot Hill area of West LA. Nurses are on-site 24/7, and amenities include a chapel for daily prayer, activity programming, signature dining, an on-site bistro, walking paths, family picnic areas, lounges and transportation. It is located near four hospitals and is minutes from shopping, grocery stores, restaurants and banking. Sisters of Nazareth has other locations throughout California and other countries.
- Located in: Los Angeles, Fresno, San Diego and San Rafael
- Address: 3333 Manning Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90064
- Phone: (310) 839-2361
- Website: sistersofnazareth.com
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.