2. Elder Care
  3. Assisted Living

4.3/5 (11 ratings)

About A Place for Mom

A Place for Mom is a senior living referral service with a nationwide network of 17,000 senior living providers. Its free service is paid for by participating communities. Experienced advisors help you find the best match for your loved one and have expertise across different care types, including assisted living, memory care, independent living and home care.

Pros

• Move-in support
  • Online tools
  • Free to use

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Only refers within its network

Bottom Line

A Place for Mom helps you find the right living situation for your loved one. A local advisor recommends options that meet your personalized needs, schedules tours and provides move-in support at no cost to you.

Top A Place for Mom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I called A Place for Mom and I received information that I needed on the same day. Everyone I spoke to was exceptionally polite and informative. I was treated very well and they s...

Verified

Starting the process of researching retirement living for a parent is challenging at the best of times. ... From the first connection to the move in date the team was incredibly h...

What is A Place for Mom?

A Place for Mom is a service that matches your loved one with care providers that meet their personalized needs — whether that’s assisted living, independent living, dedicated memory care or home care assistance. If you're looking for senior living options for your aging loved one, the service can help you find the right fit.

How does A Place for Mom work?

The company matches you with a dedicated local advisor who works with you to determine what care options best fit your needs. From there, your advisor provides a list of hand-picked communities, facilities or other care options that suit your requirements. You also get full details, pricing information and help with scheduling facility tours. Once your family makes a decision, A Place for Mom provides move-in support for your loved one.

There are several living facility types A Place for Mom can find a match for, including:

• Independent living communities: Also called retirement communities, these homes are for older people who need very basic assistance. Independent living communities provide older adults with amenities, activities and an ongoing sense of self. Services often include meals, housekeeping, exercise programs and on-site salons.
  • Assisted living: This type of community is for older people who don’t need care from skilled nurses but require help with daily tasks. This can include situations such as medication management and personal care. Assisted living communities provide meals, housekeeping and social activities for residents to enjoy.
  • Memory care: A Place for Mom understands that memory care requires more comprehensive nursing. These dedicated facilities are safer for those with memory issues and offer programs that can help delay memory loss. A Place for Mom helps you find places with a dementia care community, specialized care unit (SPU) or memory care unit.
  • Home care agencies: For those who want to stay in their home or who are recovering from illness or surgery, home care might be the best option. A Place for Mom helps you find trusted live-in caregivers who offer care around the clock. Relevant services often include cooking, cleaning and transportation.

Not all these services are offered in every state. A Place for Mom provides charts for each service on its website and lists the areas where they’re available.

Once you've selected the option that best meets your needs, your local advisor helps make the transition go as smoothly as possible by providing move-in support along with services to ease the transition for you and your loved ones.

How much does A Place for Mom cost?

There is no cost for families to use A Place for Mom. The company is paid by its over 17,000 participating providers and communities and requires no fees from consumers.

A Place for Mom offers a free cost index based on actual care costs, with estimates available for over 2,000 cities in the United States. Financial advice for those considering how to afford long-term care is also available.

A Place for Mom FAQ

Does A Place for Mom accept Medicaid?
A Place for Mom is free for customers, so it does not accept Medicaid or handle referrals to Medicaid.
Does A Place for Mom accept insurance?
A Place for Mom is a free service, so it doesn’t accept insurance.
Where is A Place for Mom located?
A Place for Mom is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. The company’s offerings vary by state.
Who owns A Place for Mom?
The company appears to be owned by two equity capital firms, General Atlantic and Silver Lake.

Is A Place for Mom legitimate?

Yes, A Place for Mom is a legitimate business that was founded in 2000. The company helps more than 300,000 families each year.

Moving a family member to a senior living community can be difficult. Families must make many choices about the type of care and services that are best suited for their loved ones. A Place for Mom helps ease that burden by taking on most of the work for you. Since the company is paid for by communities in its network, it's free for families to use. We recommend A Place for Mom for those who need help finding long-term care for their loved ones.

A Place for Mom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about A Place for Mom?

Original review: March 17, 2021

While sitting in traffic a thought popped in my head to call “A Place For Mom.” I received a phone call from the rehab center my Mom was in and her stay was no longer covered by Medicare and needed to be transferred. When I called APFM - I looked online and within a minute after hitting the button an advisor, Lisa **, was on the phone with me. She asked the location I was interested, asked about my Mother - her likes, etc. She sent me a list to consider with details and contact information that fit my criteria. Thereafter she checked in with me to understand if one of the facilities worked. They take all the worry and confusion out of a very important decision. A really wonderful experience and I have recommended them to friends.

Get buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2021

My sister and I needed to find an affordable place for my Dad to live in, that provided three good meals a day that was clean and safe! I called A Place for Mom and I received information that I needed on the same day. Everyone I spoke to was exceptionally polite and informative. I was treated very well and they seemed appropriately concerned about my father. They asked just the right questions and not at all overbearing. I was impressed with everyone. I was glad they were willing to work me and accommodate my needs for my Dad. Their patience with my sister and I was nice, as it took us about 6 weeks to decide. We ended up selecting a wonderful place for my Dad and he is very happy and excited! Thank you A Place for Mom!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Starting the process of researching retirement living for a parent is challenging at the best of times, never mind during a pandemic. From the first connection to the move in date the team was incredibly helpful and assisted in preparing us for site visits and interviews with a suitable residence that has turned out exceptionally well. We were able to find several good options with the team's support and were well equipped to manage the intake processes with their help despite having no idea where to start when we contacted them.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I have had the pleasure to work with Allison **, Senior Living Advisor on 2 separate occasions in late 2020 and in 2018. Allison is a pro, knows all the Assisted Living Centers in the area and can tell you about each. She arranged same day appointments for us to meet with Marketing Directors at the Centers we liked. Most importantly she listened to our cost limits and worked hard to find what would work best for us. Thank you Allison and A Place for Mom making this a pleasant experience both times.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I was looking for a place for my 94 year old mother and reached out to A Place for Mom. I was contact within 15-20 minutes with assisted living facilities that would meet my mom's needs. The staff was friendly and caring. Several administrators from assisted living facilities contacted me and provided me with the services they render, pricing and literature about their facility. I even received follow up calls to make sure I was able to find a place for mom. Anyone I talked to was very caring and very informative. I would recommend this service strongly.

Original review: April 21, 2021

A Place for Mom is not a valuable service to those with experience in locating and vetting AL facilities for family. Instead they are a bureaucratic layer who provide incorrect information to facilities and whose technology is outdated.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Provided names and information on facilities in my area for my mom. Helped set up interviews with facilities, providing talking points and questions. Also provided support and advised of VA benefits. Was always available when I needed them. Highly recommend their services.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I just want to say, the people who helped me from the beginning of that difficult situation until the end were professional, helpful, knowledgeable and I feel truly caring. I certainly appreciated all their help and the time they took for my needs. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I found the online site while googling "Assisted Living". Within minutes I got a call from Kelly. After discussing our needs she sent me suggestions and a few minutes after that I received phone calls from the facilities. By the next week I signed a contract for my 98 year old mom. And even though she will not move until April we were invited to get her Covid vaccine. After each interview Kelly spoke to me. It is a phenomenal service.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I was researching options for my ailing sister and was contacted by Ms **. After I advised her of my situation she provided me with several options one of which worked perfectly for my sister. I am very thankful for her expertise and direction.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

My mother clicked on them by accident after we found them an assisted living home to go to. She was looking for the place we suggested and got them by accident. She then called them back and said I don't want you referring me out. The agent in Michigan, Amy said that she referred her to 12 places in Cleveland, blindly just to receive commission that eats into the resident's bill. Please be careful Do not click on A Place for Mom. They are nothing but commission grabbing website with no benefit to the senior. They prey on seniors!

A Place for Mom Company Information