2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.28/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

BOTTOM LINE

Alert1 monitoring centers are UL-listed and Five Diamond-certified. Additional Alert1 medical alert systems can get expensive, so it’s essential you determine how you’ll use and wear your device before choosing a package.

PROS

• No long-term contracts
  • Help in 190 different languages
  • Free 30-day trial

CONS

• Cellular networks may not work nationwide
  • Extra devices increase initial cost

Top Alert1 Reviews We Found

Excellent service… very helpful and professional. Helped me contact EMT services to ultimately locate my mother at a hospital. She was well taken care of and I was able to engage quickly from 1000 miles away. We have had the service for many years and we are very pleased.

I am extremely happy with Alert services. My mom has mentioned several times how secure she feels... Every time my mom has used the alert button, you've responded almost immediately. Also, Alert calls me to let me know my mom has pressed the button and is in distress...

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner, accredited by ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Brands

Alert1 review

Alert1 medical alert systems offer a range of options customizable to your needs with no long-term contracts or cancellation fees. Alert1 also allows you to try the service worry-free with their 30-day refund policy. It’s easy to add Alert1 system upgrades to feel safe anywhere in your home, and they offer several stylish medical alert necklace options.

Alert1 medical alert systems

Alert1 provides medical system packages for protection both at home and away with optional fall detection.

• Home: This landline-based system has a 600-foot range from the base unit. It comes with a waterproof medical alert button that’s compatible with pacemakers.
  • Home with Fall Detection: This system includes a showerproof medical alert button with fall detection. It can be used with a landline or cellular network services and has a 400-foot range that automatically alerts the service if you fall.
  • On-the-go: You don’t need a landline or cellphone with this plan. Depending on your location, it uses AT&T or T-Mobile networks for service. The included medical alert button is showerproof and has a 30-day battery life.
  • On-the-go with Fall Detection: This system uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular coverage to locate you if a fall is detected or the button is pushed. No landline or cellular coverage is necessary as it uses the cellular network for service.
  • On-the-go + Home Fall Detection: No cell phone or landline is required — it uses its own AT&T network for service. With this package, you’ll get the PAX mobile fall detection pendant, home fall detection pendant and home wristband. It costs $52.95 per month, including an annual payment.

Alert1 medical alert systems pricing

Alert1 medical alert systems start at $19.95 per month with an annual contract, plus there’s no activation fee.

Monthly rate with annualMonthly rate with semi-annual planMonthly rate with quarterly plan
Home$19.95$22.95$25.95
Home + Fall Detection$30.95$33.95$36.95
On-the-Go$30.95$33.95$36.95
On-the-Go + Fall Detection$41.95$44.95$47.95
On-the-Go + Home + Fall Detection$52.95$55.95$58.95

Alert1 medical alert accessories

Alert1 also offers many accessories to help protect you in your home and lessen the chance of accidents.

• Wall-mounted emergency button: This button connects wirelessly to your base system for a one-time fee of $39.95. It’s showerproof, so you can install it in the bathroom.
  • Emergency lockbox: For $39.95, this hanging lockbox holds up to five keys so emergency personnel can enter your home if needed.
  • Surge guard:  Protect your phone line or medical alert device from power surges with the surge guard for $19.95.
  • Silicone wristbands: These showerproof wristbands come in three colors: gray, purple and blue. It’s $9.95, soft on the wrist, sturdy and fashionable.
  • Fall detection pendant: The pendant is $30.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription. It requires a landline, is showerproof and instantly calls for help if it detects a fall.
  • Pax Plus classic wristband: For $29.95, this is an additional button for the Alert1 PAX Plus Mobile and Home Fall Detection System. The device is waterproof, and the band is made of soft silicone.
  • Mobile fall detection pendant: You can wear this medical alert button on a necklace or belt attachment. It’s $41.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription.
  • Alarm bracelet: This showerproof bracelet connects wirelessly to the Alert1 base and costs $19.95 or is free with an Alert1 subscription.
  • Alert pendant: This showerproof pendant connects wirelessly and requires a landline. It costs $19.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription.
  • Kelsi protective case and belt adapter: For $9.95, you can get a protective case for Alert1 Kelsi and Kelsi Pro on-the-go medical alert systems. It comes with a velcro belt attachment.
  • Medical ID bracelets: Each bracelet is $34.95, and it comes in your choice of small or large sizes. The stretch band is made from stainless steel and also holds your personal information.

All Alert1 medical alert necklaces are compatible with home medical alert buttons, Kelsi mobile medical alert pendants, as well as Life Alert and Lifeline medical alert buttons. Please note, some of these stylish medical alert necklaces come with magnetic clasps, which may not work for those with a Pacemaker.

Alert1 Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 12, 2020

If you no longer need your Alert1 button and have prepaid on an annual renewal plan, Alert1 will not pro-rate a refund for you on any time remaining on your yearly contract. So you will be paying for a service you won't be using. I find this very distressing. This is probably explained somewhere in the contract, but I can't believe the lack of compassion for people who really need those funds. The actual service of the product and the people monitoring the system was great, but when it comes down to dollars and cents, this company has shown me what they truly care about.

Hello Elliot,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. You are correct that in our Terms and Conditions, it does explain that there are no refunds after the renewal. However, we would like to look into the account further for you to see if there is something we can do to assist in these difficult times. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 5, 2020

I am 76 years old and had to cancel my service as my financial situation because oh COVID 19.. Immediately she told me I had to have the equipment In by June 6th or they would have to charge me and they are no refund very abruptly.. I tried to tell her I was not notified.. She gave me the e-mail address which was my son.. which I think was given to her at the beginning of the service.. but I am the one that is billed. We had a words.. I sent the equipment overnight. It arrived. It came but the building was closed.. Again I called different person. She said that wasn’t their fault. I tried to explain but she said sorry and hung up on me... So much for “we are in this together". I waiting to see if I am charged. Please no senior citizen use this company!,,

Hello Linda,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further and ensure that the account has been cancelled. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

This is an absolute scam and it's reprehensible to take advantage of dead people's estates during a pandemic! They have continuously charged my dead father after he died! They were notified of his death, continued to charge him, renewed him for another 6 months, and they refuse to give a refund. Not even a refund for the next 4 months.. And they charged it to his credit card right after they knew he dead! They said I can donate the rest of the time to someone else. How is this not illegal? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

Hello Susanna,

We are so sorry to hear of you and your families loss! We would like to look into the account to see why the account was not cancelled properly. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Original review: May 19, 2020

If everyone is complaining about the same thing, Alert1 should wake up and change their policies. My mom's device kept waking her up saying it detected a fall. She left it on at night because her issue was that sometimes she was too dizzy to get up in the morning so she needed help. Other times she would go someplace and get lost and forget who she was or where she lived. She would get woken up all night asking if she fell. So she called to cancel. They said they could get it to stop waking her up. She said she was too frustrated and wanted it turned off. They told her to send it back to cancel.

Since it’s been in the mail, my mom has received countless calls waking her up and even an ambulance. When she turned her ringer off at 3 a.m. they called me and woke me up. They need to change their policy like the other companies. Shut it OFF and cancel the account when called!!!! Then if device is not received within 30 days, deduct the cost of the device and then provide a refund when received. You’re welcome!!

Hello Anne,

We are very sorry to hear that mom's fall detection pendant was going off. Unfortunately due to the nature of the services that we provide are unable to cancel an account until the leased equipment has been received in the office. If you are able to provide the account information, such as the Member's name and/or phone number, we will be happy to look into the account to ensure that everything is cancelled.

Alert1

Original review: May 12, 2020

Due to a Covid19 job loss, I cancelled the Alert1 monthly service for my mother (I live with her) as it is an extra expense I cannot afford right now. Upon trying to cancel I was told that she received a new pendant in 2014 and we would have to return it with all of the hardware. I have no issue returning the hardware, but we NEVER received a pendant. She has a wristband, which we are returning with the rest of the hardware. The agent insisted she must have received a pendant, which we have no record of (we have all of the original paperwork and box), and said I would have to pay a replacement fee of $29.97 (originally $59.99 and she said as a courtesy she was giving me a discount) for the pendant that we never received.

All the agent would say is that we received it (she shows it was shipped) and that's that. I asked her if it's possible that they mean her wristband (and not pendant), and she said no, my mom received a wristband, a pendant and the box unit. When I set this up and ordered it, my mother specifically asked for a wristband because she didn't want to wear a pendant. We don't have it, so basically, I'm paying a $30 fee for something we never received. I expected better service from Alert1 and am very upset. I've paid Alert1 THOUSANDS of dollars in subscription fees since 2012 (average $400+ per year for 8 years). Once I was employed again, I planned to resubscribe--but the fact that they want to charge this fee during a difficult time is egregious and sad. Very disappointed.

Hello Autumn,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us. We are glad that we were able to assist you with the pendant confusion. If you have any other questions or concerns please reach out to us at 1-800-693-5433 Option 2.

Alert1

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: May 9, 2020

I live alone, so when I fell, I pressed the button on my Alert1 pendant because I didn't think I could get up by myself. However, I was able to scoot across the floor to reach my stairs and was able to pull myself up by the hand rails on either side of the stairs. My alarm button worked exactly as it was supposed to, and I am grateful for your quick response.

Hello Shirley,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know. We are sorry to hear that you had a fall but glad that you were able to get the help you needed!

Alert1

Original review: April 30, 2020

Everything was good until I had to cancel. I bought this for my grandfather and we used the service for about a year. The dispatch service was always great. HOWEVER, when my grandfather passed away we cancelled the service. They said they needed the device back, so we sent it back. While it was being sent back, they drafted my bank account for another three months! (We were on the three month plan) I called twice and both times I ended up so mad I thought I would have a heart attack.

I've never had this experience before. And both times the person on the other end got so rude. I just can't believe it. We send it back and now absolutely cannot use it and they bill us for another three months and they refuse to refund. They said their system wasn't set up for refunds. What? At one point I was asked for a death certificate so that they would know why I cancelled. Um, no! What on earth is that about? Can we not cancel for any reason at any time? I accused them of being a scam and that's exactly what this is.

I put a stop on my checking account and now they can't scam me again. If you use them (Heaven help ya), make sure you let them bill you through something you can stop payment on as soon as you cancel. Otherwise, they'll be ready to put you in a position that I'm in now... mad as he**. So much for saving money on the multi month plan, right? Just go with another company. There are too many options for you to put up with this company. I'm just glad I'm in politics and have a loud, local voice in my state. I can't wait to tell my constituents about this, esp in our retirement community.

Hello William,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. With any of our payment plans, we are unable to cancel out an account or stop billing until all the leased equipment has been received in the main office. We would be happy to take a look into the account further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: April 23, 2020

Called today to cancel service after several years of using alert one. Was told my mother needed to return base, wrist button, necklace and door key holder. Stated she did not have a wrist button device. Claimed one was requested and mailed in 2016 to my 92-year-old mother. She would not have known where to call for that. Guess we will end up paying for it since there is not one to return. Was told when she signed up the door key holder was free for signing up. Now that we are canceling they have changed. A return postage sticker would cost 15.00 to get. Ask for a two-month refund and the rep could not do that. Very rude. I hope nobody else gets fooled with them and their lies.

Hello Brenda,

Thank you for reaching out to Alert1 and taking the time to send us your review. We would like to look further into the account for you regarding the wristband and lock box. Could you please provide the account information?

Alert1

Original review: April 20, 2020

I ordered this Alert1 device and system for my elderly grandmother 6 months ago. When it arrived we discovered it did not work in her apartment. The company told us that sometimes it does not work in locations with bad reception (that is also written on the Instructions that came with the device). I should have returned it at that time but our family was dealing with a medical crisis at the time and it was not my priority. I paid for the service for six months. That was my responsibility and I am not disputing that charge. I have paid this company over $500.00. Since the device does not work in my grandmother's apartment and has NEVER been used, I do not wish to keep paying for it.

This morning I called to cancel the service and the charge. I was told that the only way the service would be able to be canceled would be if I returned the device. Of course that is reasonable, however, I live in California, an hour away from my grandmother. We are currently under strict stay at home orders to stay home due to the Coronavirus pandemic. My grandmother is not capable of repackaging the device and getting it to the post office nor is she supposed to leave her home either. I requested that the service and the upcoming charges be canceled. I was informed that the company refused to cancel the service or the upcoming charge to my credit card until the device is returned. I am happy to return this useless device, however due to the pandemic I can not do that until it is safe.

I am absolutely shocked that a company whose entire business is about the health and safety of its customers, wants me to risk the health of my entire family in order for them to continue charging me for their product that does not work and we have never used and I have already paid hundreds of dollars for. I simply requested that my credit card not be charged again and that I be able to return the device as soon as it is safe for me to leave my house due to this unusual circumstance. They are more than welcome to turn the service off. They are refusing to do that. There are many companies that offer similar products and services. Do not make the mistake of ordering from this one. If they can’t manage to step up and do the right thing during a life altering pandemic how can they be trusted to do the right thing when someone you love really needs help.

I have NEVER written a review of any company or product, good or bad. On this morning's call with Victoria, a supervisor, I asked for the name of their company CEO so I could let him/her know how their company is handling this situation. I was told I could look it up myself. That should give you an idea of how this company operates when there is an actual problem.

Hello Kari,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience with Alert1 and would like to assist you in cancelling out the account. We do understand that during this difficult time there are some restrictions in place and would like to look into some options to assist you. Could you please provide the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: April 9, 2020

ALERT 1 Monitoring service was fine until I had to cancel, because my 88 year old mother fell and had to go to Rehab. After I returned their device, they charged my mom's account of $565.95! I had called them and asked them to suspend our services, but they would not, saying that I had to pay them for not having any service!? That's why I cancelled our service. Shortly thereafter, is when they charged my 88 year old widowed mother the $565.95. I called them and even talked to one of their "Supervisors", but they wouldn't budge! I am formally disputing their authority to debit my mother's account without me or mother's written or verbal approval!

Hello Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We would like to look further into this for you, could you please provide the Member's name and/or phone number associated with the account?

Alert1 medical alert system upgrades

Alert1 offers many system upgrades to customize Alert1 devices.

Alert1 system upgradeDescriptionCost
    Voice ExtenderThe voice extender has a 2-way speaker that can be mounted on a wall or placed on a table. $99
    Fall Protection PackageIncludes 2 wall-mount buttons, two motion-sensing night lights, adhesive tub strips, and a 12-piece set of corner guards. $200
    Advantage PlanCoverage for damage or destruction to devices, free priority shipping on initial orders and free standard shipping on replacements. $24.99–$108.29
    Medication ReminderA large LED display gives up to 4 medication reminders per day and includes a 48-hour rechargeable battery back-up.$149.95
    Monitored Smoke DetectorAlert1 alarm service automatically notifies the call center if smoke is detected. $10/month

Alert1 FAQ

How do Alert1 medical alert systems work?
    If you need help, push the button, and you’ll immediately reach an operator. Alert1 monitoring services use TMA 5 Diamond Certified operators based out of two call centers in the United States. They undergo certification checks to ensure compliance. Operators are available 365-days per year at any time — day or night — and Alert1 supports 190 languages. The operator pulls up your information, including location, and alerts your emergency contacts. If you’re unable to speak, then the operator follows your custom instructions to get you the help you need. The operator stays on the phone with you the entire time, so you aren’t alone while waiting for help.
    Does Medicare cover Alert1?
    No, Medicare doesn’t cover Alert1.
    What is Alert1’s average response time?
    It takes 20-45 seconds for an Alert1 operator to pull up your information and respond.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get an Alert1 medical alert system?
    No long-term contracts are needed to get an Alert1 medical alert system.
    What is Alert1’s return policy?
    If it’s within the 30-day trial period, you must use the Alert1 device to make a successful test call to the Command Center and then return it in its original condition. Any pre-paid shipping, warranty or activation fees are non-refundable. For more information, contact Alert1 customer service.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Alert1 monitoring service?
    Yes. It costs extra to add a spouse to Alert1 monitoring services, but you’ll get a discount for a second person in your home.
    Where are Alert1 monitoring centers located?
    Alert1 monitoring center are located in Pennsylvania, California, Idaho and Utah.
    Do Alert1 emergency response services require a landline?
    No, the Alert1 mobile alert systems work with their own cellular signal.
    Does Alert1 offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, you can purchase the Alert1 Advantage plan for additional coverage.
    Does Alert1 offer a free trial period?
    Yes, you can try out Alert1 devices for 30-days.
    Are Alert1 medical alert systems waterproof?
    Yes, all Alert1 medical alert system products are water-resistant and made to wear while showering or bathing.
    How much does Alert1 l cost per month?
    The Alert1 cost per month starts at $19.95.
    How long do Alert1 batteries last?
    Depending on your Alert1 system, the rechargeable batteries can last from 24 hours to 30-days.

Do we recommend Alert1 medical alert systems?

Yes. If you need a medical alert system, then you’ll appreciate the peace of mind you can get from Alert1 devices. There no cancellation fees and you can try the service risk-free with their 30-day refund policy. Plus, Alert1 systems provide a range of options customizable to your needs.

Alert1 Company Information