3.30/5
Based on 66 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a medical alert system?

Alert1

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

1195 Alert1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

My Mom passed away in April 2018. I called to cancel the service and to see if there was a refund. I was told there was no refund since the service renewed in March 2018. I was, also, told if I wanted to cancel the service it should have been before the renewal date. I told the service rep... "She was still alive at the time and we needed the service!!!" It makes no sense that there would not be a refund since the my mother passed away and the service is no longer needed. I have contacted other companies and they have provided a refund. Very disappointed with this company and their policy.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I AUTHORIZED THEM FOR 1 YEAR OF SERVICE, THEY AUTOMATICALLY BILLED MY CARD AGAIN WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION OR CONSENT. I tried working with them to no avail, they wanted another year of service paid or they would work with me for over 200.00 for payment now and cancellation of service!! I told him I will not pay the 686.00 year service and to send me a return tag and I will gladly return their equipment. They were very rude, demanding and talking over me and threatening me with collections for the full amount, even though I called to cancel service 3 days after they billed my card again. My gramps is 92 years old and this is how they like to treat their elderly customers!!! SHAME ON THEM.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Renewed and then had to cancel after only two months because my mother had to be hospitalized and is now bedridden. Alert1 said after 30 days they don't prorate. It just seems predatory to take a senior's money for years and when they can't use it anymore after 2 months and $600 they keep the money. If the person can't use it where is the money going to? The device is being returned so it's not for that and they will just reuse it. Just be cautious of that when you lease the device.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My only complaint is I received a call at 9:00 Sunday night from your service, unfortunately the caller ID only shows a long distance call from Utah and doesn't reference Alert1. Luckily I answered, but I honestly thought it was a spam call and almost didn't! We really appreciate the service you provide and everyone has been fantastic, but I would really like to see you identify yourselves on caller ID... it might save someone's life!

Original review: May 31, 2018

My mother fell. Alert1 called me. I was there right away. Thank you. She is ok. I just wish I would be the first call (since I live nearby). My brother received the first call. He is not nearby. (I have made this request in the past.) But your service acted appropriately which is greatly appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: May 31, 2018

My mom, Freda **, accidentally activated her emergency button. She received a live operator contact and she explained the mishap. The operator was very courteous and professional. Well done all around. You provide a first-rate service. I rest better knowing that my 96-year-old mother has access to immediate help if she needs it.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Thank you so much for being there for my Mom when I can't be. She had bruises and bleeding but she is recovering very well. I don't know how I would've been notified if it hadn't been for the alert service.

Original review: May 16, 2018

After explaining to your crew that Mother (Eleanor **) cannot speak very well (Parkinson's) and to call me anytime she pushes her button... THEY DID NOT CALL ME until well after they contacted the paramedics. She will probably fall again next week. Will they call me? First? I am just 30 seconds away and very capable in calling for help if it is needed.

Resolution response: May 18, 2018

After very many phone calls and a negative review, the company finally refunded all but one month of monitoring fees.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I was told by a representative of this company that I was eligible for a full refund as long as the equipment was received by May 12. The company received the equipment on May 10. I was then told that the representative gave me the wrong information and no refund would be forthcoming. I spoke to a supervisor and got no satisfaction. The supervisor admitted that the employee had given me the wrong information, but still refused to grant a refund. I am extremely dissatisfied with how this was handled!

Noreen,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look further into this to help come to a resolution. What is the member name or phone number associated with this account?

Original review: May 11, 2018

My mother is no longer with us and I tried to cancel the subscription. However, I was informed that I was past the due date to cancel by 30 days and they would not reduce the charge. I had to return the equipment at my expense or they would charge me some astronomical amount for equipment that was 6 or 7 years old. When I told the customer service person that the equipment was part of the charge she told me that it was not. No business runs on not charging for the equipment, that is just plain common sense. I returned the equipment, they canceled my account but I was stuck paying over $300 for something we got nothing of use. I might have as well burned the money. My recommendation is not to use the company and most certainly not use automatic billing as they definitely take advantage of you in a time of sorrow.

Frank,

Alert1

Original review: May 3, 2018

Returned equipment when my Grandmother was admitted into a nursing home. A year later they tried to bill my credit card so I called them. Alert1 stated they never received the equipment back, and unfortunately by my own mistake, I didn't keep the tracking receipt, so it became a "he said, she said" scenario. They couldn't prove they never received the equipment, and I couldn't prove that I sent it. They tried to charge me $500.00 for "lost equipment". I refused to pay that. We agreed I would pay $250.00. I paid that.

Another year rolls around, and yep, you guessed, it I get notice of renewal and a lady calls me to say "We've been trying to test your Grandmother's system, and it will not respond and her line is disconnected". Well, no crap. She's dead. So again, Alert1 states "well we never got the equipment back". I almost exploded. It took me calling back in a second time to speak with someone with a working brain cell to look up the account history and find that yes, the account was supposed to be closed. HORRIBLE experience. I recommend going with ADT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Would NOT recommend this company, simply because of their requests that the monitoring box (which is several years old) and pendant be returned in order to cancel service, or they will charge $600. These units are ordered by family members to offer security and protection to loved ones who may live far away. In the event of an elderly person's passing, or move to acute care, forcing a family member to find a way to retrieve a box or risk an exorbitant equipment fee is in poor taste.

Hello Shirine,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had less than a stellar experience with us. We would like to look further into your account to come to a resolution. Could you please provide additional details, such as, Member name or telephone number.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Original review: May 2, 2018

My mother fell and she pushed the button. Paramedics came. The previous button she wore seemed to dial and get through to you all quicker. It seems as if it takes a considerable amount of time for anyone to answer now with the replacement.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am John’s daughter whom he lives with, and was out of town when the incident occurred. I was called at 12:30am. Since it was an unfamiliar number when I awoke, I went back to sleep. Suggestion: have an assigned number so I know who it is.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My mother Norma ** fell and she pushed the button. Right away someone came on and asked if she was ok. They contacted emergency and an ambulance came. All 3 contacts were alerted about her fall. I really appreciate how quickly everyone was alerted. Thank you for all you do.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Couldn't get the box to work; told different stories by customer service; now telling me no refund of 119.00. I'm am so unhappy and disgusted. Asked for a supervisor to talk to and told no one is available.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My experience was all I expected. The operator was very helpful & calm, which kept me calm, the first responders were here fast & took charge. Everyone was great, it’s a good feeling to know that it all worked like it was supposed to. Thank you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This is the second time this is happened. The code was changed on the lockbox that allow paramedics to enter the house. The lockbox is located outside the front door which we bought from your company. We changed it I think almost a year ago and your company has still not changed it. The first time the fireman had to cut the screen door A few months ago and Sat Feb 31 the second time they had to go through a window. This is because you still have not change the code and keep giving them the wrong one. When my daughter called they said that the code that was changed was only for 30 days which makes no sense at all. We did not request it for 30 days it was to be permanent.

We had the same problem with changing one of the people on the call list. We told you to take them off the list and we had to call like many many times until it was done – this code needs to be changed and it’s not good enough to say you’ll reimburse us for damage because that’s a big hassle to have to find people to fix something which could be avoided if you would just have competent people working for your company… Seriously there is a big lack of communication if changes need to be made. Like I said this happened with changing people on the list. It went on and on forever but now this code thing is dangerous and ridiculous. We seriously are thinking of changing companies when the time is up to renew. You can call me at **. The old code was ** and the new code is ** and we still don’t think it has been changed. We would really appreciate if somebody could call us on this.

Hello Elizabeth,
    We are sorry to hear you had this experience. To look into your account, can you provide more details, such as phone number or account number that is linked to the account?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Alert1 is a lifesaver. I would not be able to stay in my home without it. I have sitters during the week but the weekends my family try to help. I know they cannot always be there. Alert1 is quick to answer my call for help with either calling the rescue squad or my daughter Frances. Thank you!

Resolution response: March 30, 2018

I called back and was able to talk to a manager who was very helpful. She had been investigating the numerous call logs and stated that she was going to refund the charges to my bank account and remove my debit card information from the account as well. It appears that the account holder was unwilling to provide an alternate payment account and mine was the only one in their system. They stated they have not yet received the return equipment, thus the additional charges. I am willing to accept that she will indeed refund me and remove my information from their system. I'm increasing my rating to 3 stars due to the difficulty in getting this issue resolved and the issues in the past with their billing practices.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased a full year of service for an acquaintance in need last year as a charity. I did not like the idea of them having to set up an automatic payment system on my bank account as I had no intention of paying for another year of service. At the time, I was advised to simply call back before the end of the contract to have my credit card information removed from the account. As a reminder, I set up an alert in my calendar with all of their information to call and cancel within a month of the end-of-service. I called last month and was assured that my credit card would not be charged any more for this account and that they would be contacting the account holder for payment options. He called them to cancel the service as well.

Yesterday Alert1 charged my bank account $200 - which was not going to leave enough money for other pending transactions - so I made a deposit to cover the overage and Alert1 took an additional $100 as soon as the deposit cleared. I reached out to them today and was advised that my account would be charged until they received the equipment returned from the account holder and there would be no refunds until that time. After requesting to speak to a supervisor and being placed on hold for approximately 25 minutes, I was advised that the supervisor would allow some of the money except a monthly charge to be returned. I asked once again to be able to actually speak to the supervisor and was placed on hold again.

The original customer service rep returned and stated that the manager was looking over the account and would it be OK to call me back. I advised that I had limited time due to banks closing early today and that I intended to issue a stop payment and cancel the debit card so that they would no longer have access to my bank account - which is a tremendous hassle due to the amount of online transactions I have linked to this particular account. I have yet to receive the return call and am now having to leave to make it to the bank before closing. On top of all of this... When I first paid for the full year in advance last March, they began taking an additional monthly charge out of my bank account the following month, which I had to jump through all kind of hoops to get refunded at that time. This company is bordering on credit card FRAUD in their practices. BEWARE!!

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not have a pleasant experience. Can you provide more details for your account, so we can look into this matter, such as Member name or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: March 26, 2018

My grandmother in PA fell and broke her hip. Alert1 called my sister and I, who live in different states, and filled us in on what had happened and my grandmother's condition. My aunt, who was with my grandmother, didn't need to worry about contacting us as she was dealing with an emergency. I'm very impressed with Alert1's professionalism and level of service.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Your service provided for Mary last week was excellent. I am so happy for your services. The ambulance was prompt, and the MTs were so helpful. Thank you for your services. I have recommended your company to many of my friends who have loved ones living alone.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The medics came by about 10 minutes after we called. I was admitted to hospital for hypoxia and Influenza B. The medics were good and it's nice to know that help is only a push of a button. Thanks for your help in everything.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was in need of medical attention a week ago and wanted to let you know that you came through and helped me with my emergency services. I pushed the button, never spoke to anyone (was unable to move) and within 15 minutes emergency services arrived to help me out. Thanks to you, I'm back in business! Thank you! I appreciate what you do!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

First time using Alert 1 device after purchase. When emergency button was pushed a staff member, was very kind and helpful - contacted friends as well as ambulance... The response was very fast. The staff members seemed to be well trained and very kind and helpful. Alert button gave a great peace of mind... With a very wonderful experience... Thank You again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Help request on 2-14-2018. Help came quickly. I only needed an assist to get up as no injury was incurred. all my contacts were called and the last one was able to come and confirm my status. Due to my daughter getting a voicemail from you she came home quickly and the firemen for the assist were still there.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

On the phone as soon as the button was pushed! Then, they called my phone tree right away so my family met the aid car and me just before we left for the hospital. Having Alert1 makes my family feel more secure knowing I have access to help all the time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

T&C needs to be revamped. Horrible. Alert 1 Customer Service (Care): I am cancelling our plan effective today. I understand that after speaking with the customer service and the supervisor on staff – they explained that with the 1-yr prepaid, the subscription AUTOMATICALLY renews after 1 year. Cancellation notice by me was to have been received by 2/1/18. (30 day notice). So, in other words, we have to ‘eat’ the next year’s subscription amount of $515. 2018-2019. What hoops have to be gone through now – to cancel!

ONLY when the unit and items accompanying the main product (main unit, necklace & wristband) are returned that and that I’ve CONFIRMED with Alert 1 has indeed received the product back – that is considered my ‘cancellation’. I was instructed to ‘turn off the device’ and those instructions were given on how to do so. I was also given the return cancellation address for which to mail the device/unit and by sending with a tracking number will also confirm my ‘cancellation’.

I’m VERY unhappy with this service as they never sent a T&C (Terms & Conditions) for the product. Our T&C was when we ‘accepted’ the unit. Although they offered to do a paper billing – that would not be necessary since we paid 1 year subscription UP FRONT and one time charge. NO notice of the auto-billing or auto-renewing of the subscription was given – either by phone or by any other means of communication 30 days PRIOR to the ‘anniversary date’. JUST AUTOMATIC. This is an inefficient way of dealing with your ‘elderly’ or otherwise mentally capable customers. This is a very shrewd company in how you use a very stringent set of conditions to even CANCEL a subscription is almost beyond escapable. Shame on you. Business to be had at the cost of preying on the weak, feeble, or otherwise elderly. You will never get a glowing reference as a business, by me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Very dissatisfied with the automatically renewal without warning or notification of the renewal. Can not cancel and receive refund for future 10 months of unneeded service that is paid in advance. Tough situation to put a senior in that is on a limited budget!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Alert1 doesn't give you a pre-advice when the rollover date is coming up. They just charge your credit card and if you don't review your card every month due to no paper invoice being sent to you, you could miss the 30 day cut off that Alert1 gives you. Furthermore, they will not prorate the year after being charged regardless of the circumstances such as death, 24 care, etc. Alert1 also charges more than the quote they provide on the phone as well. I also had an issue with them telling me the unit that worked off cell phone towers would be work for where my mother lived and it did not. Unfortunately they have 30 day on this return as well which is short time when trying to coordinate this for someone who lives in a different state. Again, how about at least prorating it, especially after telling me it would work and it didn't! Stay away from Alert1 due to bad business practices!

Alert1 Medical Alerts expert review by Shelley Webb

Twenty-five years of experience come to the fore to assist more than 200,000 annual customers. Alert1 is the recommended service from 10,000 healthcare professionals, making it one of the industry’s best options.

• Pricing: While subscription service is a little higher than the deep discount services, Alert1 does come with two free months of monitoring.

• The company has a good reputation: Customers express high satisfaction levels with Alert1, and it has a high positive feedback rating on one of the largest review sites on the web.

• They offer free shipping: Not only is shipping free, but rush shipping is free. This allows new customers to get set up as quickly as possible.

• They offer monitoring only: Monitoring is only necessary for people with health issues that might prevent them from contacting emergency services, or for the elderly. Monitoring comes with a higher price tag, so when it isn’t necessary, some people may prefer to avoid it.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Alert1 Company Information