3.02/5

Need a medical alert system?

Alert1

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1244 Alert1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This product was for my mother in law who is well into her 80s. Due to her situation she would have to choose between food and medicine if not for the support of her family. She decided to no longer continue services with Alert1. We paid for the entire year, around 400 dollars. We cancelled and the representative told me that the equipment would need to be back by a date in Dec or we would be charged for January. We got the equipment back a little late due to a death in the family and there was a mail delay as it was the holiday season. After a while we did not get the refund and I called to be told that none of our money would be returned, and the company has all the equipment back.

I spoke to a supervisor, Dakota, who came off as rude and condescending. This company is keeping the money for 10 months worth of service for doing nothing. Nearly 400 dollars which could pay for a lot of food and medicine for an elderly person. I am shocked at the way they treat the elderly and I hope no one else has to have this experience or loss of so much money. There are just no words. I will be filing a complaint the Better Business Bureau as well.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I would not do business with this company ever! My mother was placed in a nursing home and we sent all the equipment back with a tracking number through UPS. We keep getting billed!! We returned the base unit and the pendant. They are now telling us we owe another piece of equipment which I have never seen before. Very sketchy company. They are unbelievable. Do NOT use this company, period! It has been hell trying to get them to discontinue service and billing us!!

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience cancelling with us and would like to look into it further for you. Could you please provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

After having service with you for 1.5 years (that's appoximately $800.00 in payments), I am needing to cancel because of my mother's passing. I explained the button was lost due to the fact that her clothes had to be cut off during her ambulance ride and the button she wore around her neck can't be located. The customer service rep said the cost of losing the button is $59.95 even though the major equipment is being returned. I will pay that cost, but shame on your company for the fee in this case and insensitivity.

Hello Jocelyn,

Thank you for providing this review. We are sorry to hear of you and your families loss. We would like to look into the account further for you, can you provide the name and/or phone number on the account please?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Alert1 makes cancellation of service and refund issuance very difficult, and will process recurring charges even after the service is cancelled. I notified Alert1 three weeks before my annual renewal date that I would be cancelling the service, and was advised that I needed to return their equipment. I immediately arranged for shipment of the equipment back to Alert1, and provided them tracking information. However, their processing of the returned equipment was somehow delayed to the day after the renewal date - they blamed USPS - and I was charged the full annual fee. After further discussion, they informed me that I would be forced to pay for a full month of service, and they will issue a refund for the other 11 months. However, the refund amount won't be on a prorated basis. Instead, they are going to arbitrarily charge me almost double what the "prorated" monthly fee should be, based on the annual fee amount.

Hello Jimmie,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry that you had a less than stellar experience with us. We would like to look into this for you further, could you please provide the account information such as Member name and/or phone number?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My mother recently lost her pendant and it is costing Us $559 to replace it and Alert1 wants another $559 to send her another unit. I pay monthly insurance but was told that only covers damaged units. When I questioned how they came to such a high figure I was told it was in the contract. Um, NO IT'S NOT! Additionally, the company provides a service to what I imagine is an elderly clientele who might be more prone to losing things and to hit them or their loved ones with such an exorbitant fee is unconscionable. Have reached out to other companies that provide the same service and their insurance covers lost devices or they don't even charge insurance to replace lost devices. Do your research before you choose your service. Ask LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND DO NOT USE ALERT1!!

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience with us. We would like to look into your account with more detail and help come to a resolution. Can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered this monitoring service for my 86 year old aunt in approximately 2015. My aunt passed away in December of 2018, and I called to cancel the service in January of 2019. The representative advised that I could not cancel the account until they received their equipment back. This includes a five year old base unit, necklace, and wristband (that I paid separately for). I explained that I do not live in the same state as my aunt and requested for them to cancel my account and send a final bill. They refused to cancel until I paid $559 for the equipment. The representative admitted that any returned equipment would be refurbished if it was reused. She also said it was a lease agreement so I would continue to be charged even though we are not receiving any monitoring services.

This is the only lease agreement I am aware of that charges you full price for a new piece of equipment after five years of use on the actual equipment. The terms are clearly unconscionable and the company is predatory toward seniors and their grieving families. New customers beware that you may be receiving equipment that is old, used, and has been refurbished. Then if you don't return the equipment, you will charged full price for new equipment. Also you can buy a medical alert monitor on Amazon for between $39.99-$250, so the cost of $559 is absurd and it is highly doubtful that this is what the company pays for them.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We wanted service for one person. We have been in a crisis situation. The salesperson told me not to be alarmed about 2 services being listed on the invoice. It was how it should be for 2 buttons. I only wanted 1 button, but got coerced into getting 2. The second was never used. My ailing mother got charged double for 2 years. Now that I am canceling, she will pay for another 6 months, and may not even live that long. This company takes advantage of desperate, frail people. I gave 1 star only because it's required to leave a review.

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know. We are sorry that you did not have a stellar experience with Alert1. We would like to look into your account further, could you please provide the Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am trying to return my mom and dad's Alert1 machine. My dad is suffering from dementia and my mom is not on the account. We have called the customer service number to end our service with them as we have moved both my parents to assisted living. They would not give us an address to return it and referred us to a website where my dad would have to fill out paperwork. He is not able to do this and we explained that. After going to this site and reading the reviews that shared the same experience it floors me that this company is still working this scam. If you can't return it, they bill you $600, but won't give you the address to return it. Pretty sneaky! At this point, I would not ever refer anyone to this company. I feel like they are taking advantage of our seniors and their families. We are only trying to do the right thing.

Hello Janice,

Thank you for your previous email and we do apologize for this inconvenience. To cancel the account please send the equipment to 1000 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 300 Williamsport PA 17701.

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Same complaint as other about full charge of $595 when you cancel service as many others. BEWARE!!! When I finally cancelled the service and returned my mother's pendant and charger wrapped in bubble wrap, I was charged $595 for returned equipment that had nail polish on it. CS was unprofessional and initially stated I had not returned it all and then changed their story to it was returned damaged. If nail polish on a 1.3 year old device costs $595, I am in the wrong business.

When I finally cancelled the service and returned my mother's pendant and charger wrapped in bubble wrap, I was charged $595 for returned equipment that had nail polish on it. CS was unprofessional and initially stated I had not returned it all and then changed their story to it was returned damaged. I had this service for 1.3 years for my mother who was prone to fall. When she did, thankfully she had the Alert1 pendant and EMT's were dispatched. After her last fall, we realized she couldn't live alone anymore and moved her to a nursing facility. I tried to pause the service while we sorted out her final stay and was informed you have to pay $15 a month to pause the service.

Hello Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience and would like to look into your account further. Can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My father passed away last May. I called to inform them in June. When sending back equipment make sure you track it. I didn't. The equipment got lost. After speaking to the company they so graciously are going to charge me $626 for another year of service that my deceased father won't be using. At least they were so kind to not charge me for the lost equipment. Lesson learned that companies like this don't show empathy.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry to hear of your loss and that you did not have a pleasant experience cancelling with us. We would like to look into your account further, can you provide account details, name/phone number on account?

Alert1

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

IF I could give them Minus points, I would. I got this for my 90 year old mother who is Very alert and I wanted her to have it for emergencies. When she did not need it any longer I called to send it back. They said she would still have to pay for two more months...no problem. We sent it back, and WITHOUT notice, they charged my American Express $559.95. When I caught it, they said it was broken when we sent it back. IT WAS NOT broken, and IF it was, I had paid their extra cost for their extended warranty insurance. They never sent a letter, made a phone call, or anything. They just charged my credit card. This charge was clear to me that the company is dealing with elderly individuals and they just try to take advantage of them if they can. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!

Hello Joe,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us. We would like to look into your account further, can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

First of all I wanted to say that my mother used her wrist button once during the year and a half that we were using the service of Alert1. The paramedics came and helped her up and all was fine. The issue was that the main unit bleeped every 15 minutes continuously. We called technical services and they never did get it to stop bleeping. They said that the wrist button and unit were not connecting properly. Next we had a scare of my mother not answering her phone for hours. We were on the way to check on her and called Alert1 to see if they could call into her apartment over the unit in the apartment. We were hoping to see if she would answer the unit in her apartment to calm us as we frantically drove to her apartment. Hopefully not walking into a horrible situation. The girl on the phone was unable to help us.

The next thing is that Alert1 cancel policy is horrible and not customer oriented. I canceled in November and must pay until April. Customer service is everything to me and I feel that throughout the duration that we have used this service I have gotten less than quality service. When signing up there was a lot information that was not shared with me. This was the first time I have ever used a service like this so I was totally ignorant of having multiple emergency contacts, a key lock box for emergency personnel, etc. I should have been told this upon signing up and paying for the year in advance. If I would have known that cancellation policy I would never have paid a whole year in advance. So the question is would I ever recommend this company or use them again? Sad to say no I would not.

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look further into your account, can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am extremely happy with Alert services. My mom has mentioned several times how secure she feels knowing she has this system in her home. Every time my mom has used the alert button, you've responded almost immediately. Also, Alert calls me to let me know my mom has pressed the button and is in distress. Thank you.

Hi Diane,

Thank you so much for sharing! We are so happy to hear that we are able to provide that extra sense of security for Mom.

Best,

Alert1

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We never signed a contract and when we no longer needed the service they stated that their policy is you have to pay through the end of the billing cycle. They do not offer a monthly billing cycle or any prorated billing. So therefore, you must pay either quarterly, semi annually or annually. You are forced to pay even after you cancel and return the equipment to the end of the billing cycle. Totally taking advantage of the elderly/disabled population that need this type of service. Mailed back equipment on 10/9/2018. The billing cycle ended on 10/11/2018. Sent it 2 day priority mail, but they never signed for it until 10/15/2018. Made my 79 year old mother pay for the next 3 months. When requested to prorate the charge for the 4 days extra due to the mail processing, they refused. Requested a Supervisor to make things right and returned my call and said, "SORRY, IT IS OUR POLICY".

Madge,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience with us. We would like to look into your account further, can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This company does the monitoring service but once you agree to the terms and agreements you are stuck for life. The cancellation policy is very unfair to the customer. They automatically deduct your bank account for insurance, renewals, etc without prior notification to you. You have to realize the charge was done and send in their equipment within 30 days or you can forget about a monetary credit to your account. Their customer service agents and supervisors only tell you what they can't do. They only offered a credit for future service. Why would I want to continue service with a company like this. I already got a new monitoring company and am going to send back the equipment and just call it a loss. Now I am forced to pay for a year of service that I will not need or want. Be very careful with this horrible company.

Hello Raymond,

Thank you for your notes. Within our terms, you will find in section 3.1, termination guidelines with return to address.

We would like to get a better understanding of your lack of trust within the product. Can you provide the member name and/or phone numbers, so we can review the account and call you?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I purchased this service a year ago and paid upfront for the full year. After calling the company to cancel my subscription, I was advised that Alert1 planned to renew my subscription for another year and take the funds from my account. I explained to them that I was not authorizing any withdrawal from my account and that I did not want to continue with the service. I was told that I could request a refund after they received their payment. I find these business practices predatory, taking advantage of seniors who may or may not understand their policies. My advice, do not use this company!!

Julie,

Thank you for the review. We are sorry you did not have a great experience cancelling. We would like to look into your account to see if we can assist further. Can you provide account details, name/phone number on account.

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My mother fell and was unable to get up on her own. The alert was activated and the fire department was notified. Her roommate provided them with entry and they assisted her. I am grateful for having this system because without it she would've remained on the floor until a male picked her up.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Button would not push and I lay on the flood for 6 hours and finally I got it to push. Called and they sent a new button. Thanks and everything is ok now and they send me out a new one that goes on my arm too.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I called Alert 1 when my husband recently fell in the bathroom. I was experiencing terrific knee pain at the same time and was unable to be of aid to my husband. Deerfield fire department arrived within minutes followed by the ambulance. They were able to assess and assist him very quickly. Quite pleased with Alert 1 response. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Response time was excellent. The operator was accurate and efficient. There were no problems this time or the last time we used your system. That is all I have to say about your service. We will continue to use your products.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

You contacted us yesterday morning (8/22/18) to notify us that Tim had fallen in his apt. Medics were also called and they arrived before we did. When we arrived, Tim was sitting in his chair and was stable and doing well. I much appreciate this service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My Dad recently fell again and pushed the button. You were quick to respond and my sister was there in minutes. I am in another state right now, and I received a voicemail stating what happened and that all was fine. We all feel much better since my Dad is wearing the Alert1.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Alert was pushed. I was called and message left. I called back and girl couldn’t find her account and didn’t know what was going on. Very frustrating. Emergency personnel did arrive was the only good thing. The girl answering phone didn’t have a clue.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The man that answered my button push was very helpful and calm on the phone. That made me feel more comfortable after me falling out of bed onto the floor. The firemen and the EMT's that came to help me were great too. Thank you :-).

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My mom is 84 and lives with my sister. She is frequently alone when my sister is working so we bought the Alert1 system for peace of mind. The system saved her life when she was in excruciating pain from a heart episode. Even though my sister was upstairs at the time, my mom was in pain and unable to call out for help. She hit the Alert1 button and your team responded immediately. The ambulance was called and the operator also called my sister's cell phone to alert and they called me as well. The Alert1 team is professional, responsive and fantastic! Thank you so much!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My mom is accidentally hitting her fall button often. Everyone from Alert1 who checks in, are always very pleasant and understanding. The few times last week when EMS was dispatched they followed the protocol. It turned out that she didn't hear the intercom or the phones and she was fine. I'm glad to know that Alert1 is there for her and our peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Our account is listed under my husband, Billy **. We are very satisfied with this service. The only thing that was misunderstood when we purchased this service was that once the button was pushed that the person on your side would be able to hear my husband as long as he was within range of the machine. We are going to need to relocate the device inside our home so if it is pushed again then the person from your side can hear him clear enough that an ambulance may not need to be called. However, I appreciate that they always ere on the side of caution and contact EMS when he can't be heard.

The only other suggestion I would have is can a text message be sent in addition to the call? The reason I say that is because of the number of robocalls these days I have not answered my phone on a couple of occasions because I thought they were robocalls. Thankfully my work phone was called when I couldn't be reached by my cell. Just thought a text would be another form of communication that could be used. We are very satisfied with this service & I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that I felt needed the service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Alert1 is the most unethical and unprofessional company I ever dealt with. Their cancellation policy is ambiguous. Their contract does not state the address where to return the equipment. Consumer has to call to ask for the address and even after they receive the equipment, no refunds are given prepaid charges. Luckily my 97 year mom did not need to use their services, no one knows if they would have a send help in case of emergency. I do not recommend Alert1 to anyone.

Hello Danny,

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My mother moved in 2016 and cancelled her service. She died last year. I have begun receiving multiple phone calls that are harassing me to return the equipment. We are attempting to locate whether the equipment was returned or not. In the meantime I have been getting phone calls every day that question whether my mother has died and why the equipment was not returned. I will never recommend your company to anyone and find that the harassment when we are grieving and trying to see if the equipment was returned in 2016.

Amy,

Sorry to hear of your loss. We would like to review the account further. Can you please provide additional details?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is very deceptive in terms of their return policy. Received a unit. Left unopened, I requested a full refund (as stated in their contract). They would not process a refund UNLESS I open the box, assemble, set-up, and test to make sure it is operable, and then repackage and send back!! This makes no sense! They state that the unit was checked before shipping, and unless something happened in transit (not my liability), it should still be operable. The company representative (Dakota) was very rude, and would not accommodate my refund. This type of deceptive business tactic is exactly what is wrong with these types of companies, and certainly makes me question how they would have responded if my loved one was in crisis. I strongly urge you to do business elsewhere... buyer beware.

Hello Steve,

Sorry to hear you did not have a stellar experience with Alert1. We would like to further look into your account, if you would kindly provide the Member name and/or phone number.

Alert1 Medical Alerts expert review by Shelley Webb

Choose between multiple home and on-the-go options to find a medical alert system that suits your lifestyle. Affordable pricing and 30-day refund policy make choosing a response system even easier.

• No long-term contract: Receive service on your terms and end when needed.

• 24/7 monitoring centers: U.S.-based emergency operators are highly trained and remain on the line with you until help arrives.

• 30-day refund policy: If you’re not happy with your equipment or service, return it within the first 30 days of service for a full refund.

• Multilingual protection: Highly trained operators can provide support in 190 languages.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Alert1 Company Information