3.33/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a medical alert system?

Alert1

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

1215 Alert1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is very deceptive in terms of their return policy. Received a unit. Left unopened, I requested a full refund (as stated in their contract). They would not process a refund UNLESS I open the box, assemble, set-up, and test to make sure it is operable, and then repackage and send back!! This makes no sense! They state that the unit was checked before shipping, and unless something happened in transit (not my liability), it should still be operable. The company representative (Dakota) was very rude, and would not accommodate my refund. This type of deceptive business tactic is exactly what is wrong with these types of companies, and certainly makes me question how they would have responded if my loved one was in crisis. I strongly urge you to do business elsewhere... buyer beware.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This experience started out decent. I had leased this equipment for 3 yrs, for my elderly family member. When I chose to return the device, the experience turned sour. This company continued to try and bill me, after returning equipment. I ended up cancelling my credit card, so they couldn’t continue charging it. Then, they started with collection calls and letters, stating I owed them for a whole future year ($399). I told them this was unacceptable and unethical practice. The equipment had been returned for months and contract had expired.

It was on a yearly contract time frame. To top it all off, they recently sent me a bill stating now I owed them for not returning the equipment. I have the proof that they received the equipment from shipper. I also confirmed that it was received by an Alert1 representative. But, now they’re saying I owe ($899), for 1 year future service and not returning equipment. This company apparently has very unethical people running it. Honestly, they’re a bunch of liars and scam artists. Whatever you do, don’t use this POS company for anything. Please, learn from my misfortune. I certainly have, after the fact.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We would like to look into your account with more detail and help come to a resolution. Can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Alert1

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My dad fell getting out of bed and could not get up. He pressed the call button and help was sent to him. He was okay but just too weak to get up by himself. Alert1 worked! So glad we got it for him.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

You are always on top of things. You made calls to everyone in family immediately with details of what happened. My mother falls frequently. You made my mother feel comfortable and reassured her that she can press the button any time and not to feel silly. That is what you are there for. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I am a new customer. I had another system that worked just fine. I changed to Alert1 for the GPS service. Yesterday I fell and the button did not work! I laid on the floor for 10 hours until my nurse arrived. At the hospital tests showed a concussion and multiple injuries. Today I called Alert1 and spoke to Conner. I was told no service on weekends (8/4/2018) and to call on Monday - 8/6/2018. So here I am alone with no service. Conner was unconcerned and kept repeating "call on Monday". This is 24/7 service? Technical service only Mon to Fri. I would advise anyone to check this flaw in this company before ordering. I will get my old service back!!!

Hello Kay,
    Thank you for your review. We am extremely sorry to hear of the situation. We do apologize, our office hours for customer service, is Monday - Friday, however our technical support is open 24/7.

We would to further look into your account, can you provide the Member name or phone number on the account,s o we can contact you?

Alert1

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had just hooked up the system Sunday night. My dad fell on Tuesday. Everything worked the way it was supposed to. The emergency squad was called, and I was called after that. It was loud enough for my dad to hear an answer.

Resolution response: July 30, 2018

We came to an agreement that I would pay only the 1st of three equal payments to resolve the issue. I am satisfied with the outcome.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I purchased a device for my grandparents when my grandfather became ill with cancer. He passed away and I continued to keep the account for my grandmother. The device stopped working and Alert1 sent out a new device. I have since received a ***FINAL NOTICE*** which was in fact my first notice, that I owed $559.95 for either un-returned or a damaged device.

I spoke to a representative who told me the device had indeed been received and to disregard the notice. She called me back shortly after to tell me she was mistaken and the device had been hit by lightning and I would have to pay the full amount unless I signed up for a device warranty for an additional charge - in which case they would discount my fee to $450. I asked for proof or some type of document to show the device had indeed been struck by lightning. None could be provided. Horrible policy! I will be canceling this service and will certainly not be making any recommendations to anyone.

Pam,

Thank you for providing a review. We are sorry you did not have a pleasant experience with us. We would like to look further into your account, can you provide the name or phone number on the account?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Alert1

Original review: July 16, 2018

My Mother needed help and your service provided her the ability to get paramedics at her home to assist her in an emergency situation. My sister and I live out of state and thank goodness for Alert1 system my Mother can live independently.

Original review: July 12, 2018

The response from Alert1 was perfect! Exactly as promised! Thanks! Mother fell and her caretakers could not lift her so the paramedics got her up and to the ER to be checked out. Alert1 called everyone on the list in the exact order as requested. They even knew the garage code to tell the paramedics! Thanks! Good work!

Original review: July 5, 2018

This was the first time we had pushed the Alert 1 button in response to an actual emergency. It has however been hit many times accidentally. Every time we have hit it accidentally the response time has been outstanding but when there was an actual emergency the response time was very slow. Not sure if this was on your end or the emergency responders (went to wrong house). Alert operator did not appear to be as well-trained and professional as previous operators. Situation turned out ok but the delay in the response time could have been life-threatening.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Excellent service - very helpful and professional. Helped me contact EMT services to ultimately locate my mother at a hospital. She was well taken care of and I was able to engage quickly from 1000 miles away. We have had the service for many years and we are very pleased.

Original review: July 4, 2018

OK as far as we know. We are in Atlanta. The person calling is in Griffin. It would have been easier for him to have called 911. You responded OK as far as we know. Alert 1 is for someone who can't get to the 'phone.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Do not use them. They are not ethical. They charged me over $500 when I returned the device I no longer needed. They broke a clip and claimed I did it. I realized they very rarely get these devices back from the living, so they take advantage. Stay away from Alert1.

Original review: June 28, 2018

The entire experience was perfect from start to finish. The required help arrived in minutes and Von was helped and on his way to the hospital. The Alert 1 employee was most professional and the help was guided to our home quickly.

Original review: June 28, 2018

My grandmother was set up with an Alert1 system by her home health agency after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She received her Alert1 system 12 hours before she passed. When I called to inform the company that she had passed and what we needed to do with the system, I found out she had been set up with a quarterly account which was not refundable. I explained to them that her family was not aware how long her contract was for, how it worked and had we had known we would not have requested a life alert system for her at all as she was only given 2 mos to live. I even spoke with a supervisor and explained that I didn't even mind paying for one month but 3 more months was completely ridiculous given she wasn't even alive anymore.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I am the son of Amparo who is the user of Alert1. Actually, I believe that there have been at least 3 occasions where my mom has used your service. Each incident has been handled exceptionally well by your company. Alert1 has given our family such an incredible peace of mind. Thank you!

Original review: June 26, 2018

My mother has always been concerned about how long it takes for someone to respond when she pushes her button. That would be her only concern. The same delay occurred when my father was alive and she would push her button when she needed help with my now deceased father.

Original review: June 26, 2018

My grandmother passed away on 4/30/18. I called Alert1 to cancel her service on May 1 and was told by the Customer Service rep to return the monitor with instruction on how to turn off the unit and a refund would be processed and returned to the card that was charged on April 3, 2018. I told my Aunt (who actually paid for the service) to expect a refund. I returned the monitor to the company which received it on May 7, 2018. I send it exactly the way I was instructed and was expecting a refund. My Aunt told me it hadn't been credited to her account so I called today to check on it and was told that yes I was given the refund information but because the equipment wasn't received by May 3rd that it wasn't eligible for a refund.

I spoke with the representative who was kind but just kept saying she checked it was submitted for a refund but was rejected because the equipment wasn't received by them until the 7th. I then spoke with a supervisor who again just kept repeating that it wasn't eligible for a refund because of the receive date. I asked them to pull the recording which they said they did and didn't dispute that their agent told me a refund was forthcoming. So I said she didn't give me the May 3rd deadline or I would have sent it overnight and they agreed that she didn't tell me. But they are still not giving the refund. I don't understand how they can charge for a service they aren't providing and I told them that.

I feel like they have predatory business practices as the elderly don't understand that even if they die they will continue to pay for services that are not rendered. It is shameful that they do business this way. It's not like we or she could foresee her death 27 days after the payment. The service was cancelled on May 1st according to the rep and the supervisor. Within their 30 days but because you have to mail the unit literally, for me, all the way across the country we are penalized 364.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My Mom passed away in April 2018. I called to cancel the service and to see if there was a refund. I was told there was no refund since the service renewed in March 2018. I was, also, told if I wanted to cancel the service it should have been before the renewal date. I told the service rep... "She was still alive at the time and we needed the service!!!" It makes no sense that there would not be a refund since the my mother passed away and the service is no longer needed. I have contacted other companies and they have provided a refund. Very disappointed with this company and their policy.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I AUTHORIZED THEM FOR 1 YEAR OF SERVICE, THEY AUTOMATICALLY BILLED MY CARD AGAIN WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION OR CONSENT. I tried working with them to no avail, they wanted another year of service paid or they would work with me for over 200.00 for payment now and cancellation of service!! I told him I will not pay the 686.00 year service and to send me a return tag and I will gladly return their equipment. They were very rude, demanding and talking over me and threatening me with collections for the full amount, even though I called to cancel service 3 days after they billed my card again. My gramps is 92 years old and this is how they like to treat their elderly customers!!! SHAME ON THEM.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Renewed and then had to cancel after only two months because my mother had to be hospitalized and is now bedridden. Alert1 said after 30 days they don't prorate. It just seems predatory to take a senior's money for years and when they can't use it anymore after 2 months and $600 they keep the money. If the person can't use it where is the money going to? The device is being returned so it's not for that and they will just reuse it. Just be cautious of that when you lease the device.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My only complaint is I received a call at 9:00 Sunday night from your service, unfortunately the caller ID only shows a long distance call from Utah and doesn't reference Alert1. Luckily I answered, but I honestly thought it was a spam call and almost didn't! We really appreciate the service you provide and everyone has been fantastic, but I would really like to see you identify yourselves on caller ID... it might save someone's life!

Original review: May 31, 2018

My mother fell. Alert1 called me. I was there right away. Thank you. She is ok. I just wish I would be the first call (since I live nearby). My brother received the first call. He is not nearby. (I have made this request in the past.) But your service acted appropriately which is greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My mom, Freda **, accidentally activated her emergency button. She received a live operator contact and she explained the mishap. The operator was very courteous and professional. Well done all around. You provide a first-rate service. I rest better knowing that my 96-year-old mother has access to immediate help if she needs it.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Thank you so much for being there for my Mom when I can't be. She had bruises and bleeding but she is recovering very well. I don't know how I would've been notified if it hadn't been for the alert service.

Original review: May 16, 2018

After explaining to your crew that Mother (Eleanor **) cannot speak very well (Parkinson's) and to call me anytime she pushes her button... THEY DID NOT CALL ME until well after they contacted the paramedics. She will probably fall again next week. Will they call me? First? I am just 30 seconds away and very capable in calling for help if it is needed.

Resolution response: May 18, 2018

After very many phone calls and a negative review, the company finally refunded all but one month of monitoring fees.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I was told by a representative of this company that I was eligible for a full refund as long as the equipment was received by May 12. The company received the equipment on May 10. I was then told that the representative gave me the wrong information and no refund would be forthcoming. I spoke to a supervisor and got no satisfaction. The supervisor admitted that the employee had given me the wrong information, but still refused to grant a refund. I am extremely dissatisfied with how this was handled!

Noreen,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look further into this to help come to a resolution. What is the member name or phone number associated with this account?

Original review: May 11, 2018

My mother is no longer with us and I tried to cancel the subscription. However, I was informed that I was past the due date to cancel by 30 days and they would not reduce the charge. I had to return the equipment at my expense or they would charge me some astronomical amount for equipment that was 6 or 7 years old. When I told the customer service person that the equipment was part of the charge she told me that it was not. No business runs on not charging for the equipment, that is just plain common sense. I returned the equipment, they canceled my account but I was stuck paying over $300 for something we got nothing of use. I might have as well burned the money. My recommendation is not to use the company and most certainly not use automatic billing as they definitely take advantage of you in a time of sorrow.

Frank,

Alert1

Original review: May 3, 2018

Returned equipment when my Grandmother was admitted into a nursing home. A year later they tried to bill my credit card so I called them. Alert1 stated they never received the equipment back, and unfortunately by my own mistake, I didn't keep the tracking receipt, so it became a "he said, she said" scenario. They couldn't prove they never received the equipment, and I couldn't prove that I sent it. They tried to charge me $500.00 for "lost equipment". I refused to pay that. We agreed I would pay $250.00. I paid that.

Another year rolls around, and yep, you guessed, it I get notice of renewal and a lady calls me to say "We've been trying to test your Grandmother's system, and it will not respond and her line is disconnected". Well, no crap. She's dead. So again, Alert1 states "well we never got the equipment back". I almost exploded. It took me calling back in a second time to speak with someone with a working brain cell to look up the account history and find that yes, the account was supposed to be closed. HORRIBLE experience. I recommend going with ADT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Would NOT recommend this company, simply because of their requests that the monitoring box (which is several years old) and pendant be returned in order to cancel service, or they will charge $600. These units are ordered by family members to offer security and protection to loved ones who may live far away. In the event of an elderly person's passing, or move to acute care, forcing a family member to find a way to retrieve a box or risk an exorbitant equipment fee is in poor taste.

Hello Shirine,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had less than a stellar experience with us. We would like to look further into your account to come to a resolution. Could you please provide additional details, such as, Member name or telephone number.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Not sure about Alert1?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Medical Alert Systems for you.

Alert1 Medical Alerts expert review by Shelley Webb

Twenty-five years of experience come to the fore to assist more than 200,000 annual customers. Alert1 is the recommended service from 10,000 healthcare professionals, making it one of the industry’s best options.

• Pricing: While subscription service is a little higher than the deep discount services, Alert1 does come with two free months of monitoring.

• The company has a good reputation: Customers express high satisfaction levels with Alert1, and it has a high positive feedback rating on one of the largest review sites on the web.

• They offer free shipping: Not only is shipping free, but rush shipping is free. This allows new customers to get set up as quickly as possible.

• They offer monitoring only: Monitoring is only necessary for people with health issues that might prevent them from contacting emergency services, or for the elderly. Monitoring comes with a higher price tag, so when it isn’t necessary, some people may prefer to avoid it.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Alert1 Company Information

PA
    800-693-5433
    www.alert-1.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business