Call toll free
1.85/5

Need a medical alert system?

Alert1

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

Need a medical alert system?

1260 Alert1 Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I am extremely happy with Alert services. My mom has mentioned several times how secure she feels knowing she has this system in her home. Every time my mom has used the alert button, you've responded almost immediately. Also, Alert calls me to let me know my mom has pressed the button and is in distress. Thank you.

Hi Diane,

Thank you so much for sharing! We are so happy to hear that we are able to provide that extra sense of security for Mom.

Best,

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I called Alert 1 when my husband recently fell in the bathroom. I was experiencing terrific knee pain at the same time and was unable to be of aid to my husband. Deerfield fire department arrived within minutes followed by the ambulance. They were able to assess and assist him very quickly. Quite pleased with Alert 1 response. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My mom is 84 and lives with my sister. She is frequently alone when my sister is working so we bought the Alert1 system for peace of mind. The system saved her life when she was in excruciating pain from a heart episode. Even though my sister was upstairs at the time, my mom was in pain and unable to call out for help. She hit the Alert1 button and your team responded immediately. The ambulance was called and the operator also called my sister's cell phone to alert and they called me as well. The Alert1 team is professional, responsive and fantastic! Thank you so much!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My mom is accidentally hitting her fall button often. Everyone from Alert1 who checks in, are always very pleasant and understanding. The few times last week when EMS was dispatched they followed the protocol. It turned out that she didn't hear the intercom or the phones and she was fine. I'm glad to know that Alert1 is there for her and our peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Our account is listed under my husband, Billy **. We are very satisfied with this service. The only thing that was misunderstood when we purchased this service was that once the button was pushed that the person on your side would be able to hear my husband as long as he was within range of the machine. We are going to need to relocate the device inside our home so if it is pushed again then the person from your side can hear him clear enough that an ambulance may not need to be called. However, I appreciate that they always ere on the side of caution and contact EMS when he can't be heard.

The only other suggestion I would have is can a text message be sent in addition to the call? The reason I say that is because of the number of robocalls these days I have not answered my phone on a couple of occasions because I thought they were robocalls. Thankfully my work phone was called when I couldn't be reached by my cell. Just thought a text would be another form of communication that could be used. We are very satisfied with this service & I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that I felt needed the service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 15, 2019

I had contacted the business and let them know my device was not working. It happened twice. First time they sent a new one. The second time. I couldn't speak to someone to troubleshoot. I finally sent it back when they called about it and they said I broke it and charge me $500. I think they do this for everyone who cancels their service.

Hello Sandra,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear that your devices weren't working for you! So that we can look into this further could you please provide us with the account information? Such as the member's name and/or phone number?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 3, 2019

We leased the Alert1 System for our Mother and the response time when an emergency button was pushed was very good. After being with the service for over a year, we signed up for a prepaid annual subscription in order to save a bit of money. Mom's health was deteriorating so we moved her to an assisted living facility of her choosing and called to cancel the remainder of the annual subscription and receive a refund for the remaining months. No refund for unused months! And when I sent a regular letter to the corporate headquarters, I did not receive any response to my questions. Just ignored me. So in summary, we would not do business with Alert1 again and we sure wouldn't recommend them. Mom passed this past week but she wasn't impressed either!

Hello Bill,

Thank you for sending us this review and we are sorry to hear of you and your families loss. While you are correct that we do not have any pro-rated refunds after the first 30 days, you are able to keep any unused time that remains to transfer to someone else who could benefit from our services. Or we have our Alert1 Cares program where you can donate the remaining months to a veteran or low-income person in need of our services.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: May 28, 2019

Received a defective on the go fall detection device. I insisted that they expedite the shipping and send me a new product using overnight delivery but they were too cheap to do so. Extremely disappointed by my experience so far with this company. Would not recommend.

Hello Tyler,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further for you as we strive for all of our equipment to be ready for use as soon as it leaves the office. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: May 17, 2019

Pushed my alarm button, it took forever for a response, when they responded finally the voice was broken up and impossible to understand. What can you do about it? Can you replace my box? Can you improve your service? I'd like to use your "on-the-go" device but not if your service is so poor.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for reaching out to us! We were glad to be able to speak with you regarding getting an On-The-Go device for yourself. If you would like to make that switch please give us a call back.

Alert1

Original review: May 15, 2019

My father passed away 5 months ago - he had the Alert1 service - now they have billed me again for a year's service and are telling me they can't reverse the charges because I missed a random deadline from a random email sent from another business. He passed away! What business does this? Stay away from these people, they have no heart and are only in it for the money!

Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry to hear of you and your families loss and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: May 8, 2019

I ordered Alert1 after speaking with one of their agents on the phone. I was concerned that the system would not work at my father's home since he lives in the country and my cell phone barely works out there. The agent looked up his address and assured me it would work that it worked off of GPS. So I talked to the agent about if it didn't work that I could return. She said yes but what she did not tell me was I needed to pay for 6 months of service not three months.

The equipment came and there was no signal at his home. We called and spoke with Alert1 and they said they could not get signal and the equipment would not work for him. We returned the equipment right away but Alert1 is still making me pay 160.51 for the service. This makes no sense. If the equipment worked I would have kept it because it would have made me feel more comfortable to have that for my father but it didn't. The company will not budge because I paid for 3 months instead of 6 months. Which I would have done if they explained this to me in the beginning but they did not!! They basically told me tough and have forced my hand to pay for service that was not accessible.

I don't know how most people feel about this but I do not think it is right to pay for a service that will not work! How many other people that live in rural areas have been scammed by this company? IF equipment doesn't work due to your home location you should not have to pay for it, period! Even the cell phone companies have this clause in their contracts. Shame on you Alert1 for not recognizing this!!!

Hello Cindy,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us. We are sorry to hear that the device did not work for dad. We would like to look into his account further, could you please provide the account information such as Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: May 6, 2019

I purchased an Alert1 device to help my grandmother in case she fell. When my grandmother passed away, we were told that we could send the device back in the mail and if we were accidentally charged, we would get a refund. I was of course charged on Friday for a three month period ($77). Despite having put the package in the mail the day before, the facility had not received it before the automatic renewal. Since we were told that we would get a refund if we were "accidentally" charged, I called this morning to straighten things out.

After dealing with an extremely incompetent "supervisor", who could not even verify my grandmother's address until the 4th attempt, I was told that it is not a refundable transaction. At this point, I now have this device paid for 3 months, even though my grandmother has passed away. This is by far the most inconsiderate and insensitive policy. I would recommend that you go with another company. Alert1 is incredibly unprofessional (their booklet had misspelled words) and extremely insensitive to the passing of a loved one.

Hello Kathryn,

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a stellar experience cancelling with us. We would like to look into this further for you, could you provide the Members name and/or phone number please?

Alert1

Original review: May 4, 2019

I hope you read this before you buy. I bought it for my mother after she fell and broke her hip. Wow...what junk. 4 units have failed, just stopped working, a couple making horrible noises that wouldn't stop. NO support after hours for the devices, just the emergency fall agents. It breaks after hours, tough cookie. Their advice, call 911 if you need help. Bad equipment, helpless staff, even the 'techs' can only say 'send it back'.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you had difficulties with our equipment and would like to look into this further. Could you please provide the account information such as Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: April 23, 2019

Alert1 fall alerts worked beautifully for my mother when she fell and could not get back up. I purchased this for her several weeks before she entered the nursing home through my email and my credit card. I had to email them my power of attorney to try to cancel this - still no instructions on how to return equipment. I will contact Better Business Bureau next.

Hello Thresa,

I do apologize that you have not received the instructions yet! To cancel the account we simply need all the equipment that we sent you back in our office. If you have an email address I would be happy to send those instructions directly to you.

Alert1

Original review: April 15, 2019

I purchased this service for my mother in March 2015, she is now 90 years old. They set up an auto pay on my credit card and I did not receive any invoices or description of what you I was paying for. The first incident that required this service was horrible. My mother had hit the button prior to leaving the house and didn't realize it. Alert1 had no way to locate her. After discussions Alert1 advised we needed upgraded equipment if we needed GPS to find her (not sure what good it is if they don't know where she is) so we upgraded. In January of 2018 my mother lost the button and reported it to Alert1 on 1/3/18. They advised her that she would have to pay for the equipment. They auto charged my credit card in April and since there is no paper billing, we assumed it was for the equipment as it was about $100 more than the prior year service. It was not useful and we had not used the service, so we were just done with them.... WRONG...

Since the credit card they had on file expired, I just received a PAST DUE STATEMENT for service for this year as you have to prepay. I called them to advise that Mom had reported the device lost on 01/03/18 (Which they had record of) and I had paid for the equipment last year and we had not used the service since 01/03/18. They told me that not only was what I paid last year for SERVICE and WARRANTY that we did not receive, they said I had to pay for SERVICE this year as well as the equipment. This is taking advantage of the elderly and it is wrong on every level. I have retained a lawyer as I would rather pay an attorney thousands than pay these crooks that take advantage of my mother and the elderly one more penny! DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE... I would not select any stars but it made me select 1!

Hello Donna,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience cancelling with us. We would like to look into your account further, can you provide account details such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: April 12, 2019

Do not use this company to purchase any devices. I returned my device in working condition and a piece of plastic from the clip had broken off previously. They then said it needed to be scraped and charged my credit card the full amount of $559.59 for the "piece of plastic" that was broken on the clip. They are a terrible company that will rip you off and charge you even if you removed your credit card info. from the website profile.

Hello Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: April 1, 2019

I purchased this for my elderly neighbor. The device itself seemed to work fine. However, the lockbox we purchased for the front door was defective and would not open. They sent me a second one, this time I was able to get it open, insert the key, set the code, and lock it on the door whereupon it became jammed and would not open. Had to take the doorknob apart to get it off. Alert 1 refused to refund money. Impossible to get a supervisor on the phone "we'll call you back in 24-48 hours". I am EXTREMELY unhappy with the customer service and support. This was less expensive than some other services. You get what you pay for.

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that the Lockbox was not working for you and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: March 11, 2019

Like other reviews on here it was frustrating to pay in advance and then when a loved one passes or moves into a nursing home they do not refund any of the money. Overall the service worked fine, but make sure you read the full service terms prior to purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

For years I had the alert for both of my parents. Dad passed and I especially wanted for Mom. We changed cable tv providers and it was no longer compatible. I spoke to them on the phone June 2018. I had just paid the service for the quarter the previous day. We lost Mom and I sent back the equipment. Same problem as many. I show delivery and they did not show the delivery until after research and my calls. Then I was charged another quarter because equipment was late. Another phone call. "You owe." I indicated it had not been used the previous quarter. "No problem. You owe for a few days." This was September 2018 into October.

Today 2/27/19 they tried to charge my credit card. Then they used my debit information and charged my account. FRAUDS. No bill for the few days and no credit. Don't trust them. How could anyone even work with or for them knowing how they take advantage and lie and cheat people? They knew my parents passed. After years of using them, the right thing would have been to call it even. I buried Mom and told them that when they called me and she still kept talking about the bill.

Hello Regale,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are very sorry to hear of your loss and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

What's really bad is that they ask you to prepay the service for a year, then won't refund you any money and only refund you some "future usage time" in case you don't need the service anymore in the middle of the contract. But in the service agreement, they misleadingly say they will refund you for the time not used if you return the device anytime. This is not a good business model and not a good company. You should look into smartphone apps that will do the same thing, but offer a much lower cost than this device. In this day and age, this business practice just doesn't sit well with people like me. I would rate it as 0 star if possible.

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience with us and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This product was for my mother in law who is well into her 80s. Due to her situation she would have to choose between food and medicine if not for the support of her family. She decided to no longer continue services with Alert1. We paid for the entire year, around 400 dollars. We cancelled and the representative told me that the equipment would need to be back by a date in Dec or we would be charged for January. We got the equipment back a little late due to a death in the family and there was a mail delay as it was the holiday season. After a while we did not get the refund and I called to be told that none of our money would be returned, and the company has all the equipment back.

I spoke to a supervisor, Dakota, who came off as rude and condescending. This company is keeping the money for 10 months worth of service for doing nothing. Nearly 400 dollars which could pay for a lot of food and medicine for an elderly person. I am shocked at the way they treat the elderly and I hope no one else has to have this experience or loss of so much money. There are just no words. I will be filing a complaint the Better Business Bureau as well.

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience with us and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I would not do business with this company ever! My mother was placed in a nursing home and we sent all the equipment back with a tracking number through UPS. We keep getting billed!! We returned the base unit and the pendant. They are now telling us we owe another piece of equipment which I have never seen before. Very sketchy company. They are unbelievable. Do NOT use this company, period! It has been hell trying to get them to discontinue service and billing us!!

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience cancelling with us and would like to look into it further for you. Could you please provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

After having service with you for 1.5 years (that's appoximately $800.00 in payments), I am needing to cancel because of my mother's passing. I explained the button was lost due to the fact that her clothes had to be cut off during her ambulance ride and the button she wore around her neck can't be located. The customer service rep said the cost of losing the button is $59.95 even though the major equipment is being returned. I will pay that cost, but shame on your company for the fee in this case and insensitivity.

Hello Jocelyn,

Thank you for providing this review. We are sorry to hear of you and your families loss. We would like to look into the account further for you, can you provide the name and/or phone number on the account please?

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Alert1 makes cancellation of service and refund issuance very difficult, and will process recurring charges even after the service is cancelled. I notified Alert1 three weeks before my annual renewal date that I would be cancelling the service, and was advised that I needed to return their equipment. I immediately arranged for shipment of the equipment back to Alert1, and provided them tracking information. However, their processing of the returned equipment was somehow delayed to the day after the renewal date - they blamed USPS - and I was charged the full annual fee. After further discussion, they informed me that I would be forced to pay for a full month of service, and they will issue a refund for the other 11 months. However, the refund amount won't be on a prorated basis. Instead, they are going to arbitrarily charge me almost double what the "prorated" monthly fee should be, based on the annual fee amount.

Hello Jimmie,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry that you had a less than stellar experience with us. We would like to look into this for you further, could you please provide the account information such as Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My mother recently lost her pendant and it is costing Us $559 to replace it and Alert1 wants another $559 to send her another unit. I pay monthly insurance but was told that only covers damaged units. When I questioned how they came to such a high figure I was told it was in the contract. Um, NO IT'S NOT! Additionally, the company provides a service to what I imagine is an elderly clientele who might be more prone to losing things and to hit them or their loved ones with such an exorbitant fee is unconscionable. Have reached out to other companies that provide the same service and their insurance covers lost devices or they don't even charge insurance to replace lost devices. Do your research before you choose your service. Ask LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND DO NOT USE ALERT1!!

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience with us. We would like to look into your account with more detail and help come to a resolution. Can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered this monitoring service for my 86 year old aunt in approximately 2015. My aunt passed away in December of 2018, and I called to cancel the service in January of 2019. The representative advised that I could not cancel the account until they received their equipment back. This includes a five year old base unit, necklace, and wristband (that I paid separately for). I explained that I do not live in the same state as my aunt and requested for them to cancel my account and send a final bill. They refused to cancel until I paid $559 for the equipment. The representative admitted that any returned equipment would be refurbished if it was reused. She also said it was a lease agreement so I would continue to be charged even though we are not receiving any monitoring services.

This is the only lease agreement I am aware of that charges you full price for a new piece of equipment after five years of use on the actual equipment. The terms are clearly unconscionable and the company is predatory toward seniors and their grieving families. New customers beware that you may be receiving equipment that is old, used, and has been refurbished. Then if you don't return the equipment, you will charged full price for new equipment. Also you can buy a medical alert monitor on Amazon for between $39.99-$250, so the cost of $559 is absurd and it is highly doubtful that this is what the company pays for them.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We wanted service for one person. We have been in a crisis situation. The salesperson told me not to be alarmed about 2 services being listed on the invoice. It was how it should be for 2 buttons. I only wanted 1 button, but got coerced into getting 2. The second was never used. My ailing mother got charged double for 2 years. Now that I am canceling, she will pay for another 6 months, and may not even live that long. This company takes advantage of desperate, frail people. I gave 1 star only because it's required to leave a review.

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know. We are sorry that you did not have a stellar experience with Alert1. We would like to look into your account further, could you please provide the Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am trying to return my mom and dad's Alert1 machine. My dad is suffering from dementia and my mom is not on the account. We have called the customer service number to end our service with them as we have moved both my parents to assisted living. They would not give us an address to return it and referred us to a website where my dad would have to fill out paperwork. He is not able to do this and we explained that. After going to this site and reading the reviews that shared the same experience it floors me that this company is still working this scam. If you can't return it, they bill you $600, but won't give you the address to return it. Pretty sneaky! At this point, I would not ever refer anyone to this company. I feel like they are taking advantage of our seniors and their families. We are only trying to do the right thing.

Hello Janice,

Thank you for your previous email and we do apologize for this inconvenience. To cancel the account please send the equipment to 1000 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 300 Williamsport PA 17701.

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Same complaint as other about full charge of $595 when you cancel service as many others. BEWARE!!! When I finally cancelled the service and returned my mother's pendant and charger wrapped in bubble wrap, I was charged $595 for returned equipment that had nail polish on it. CS was unprofessional and initially stated I had not returned it all and then changed their story to it was returned damaged. If nail polish on a 1.3 year old device costs $595, I am in the wrong business.

When I finally cancelled the service and returned my mother's pendant and charger wrapped in bubble wrap, I was charged $595 for returned equipment that had nail polish on it. CS was unprofessional and initially stated I had not returned it all and then changed their story to it was returned damaged. I had this service for 1.3 years for my mother who was prone to fall. When she did, thankfully she had the Alert1 pendant and EMT's were dispatched. After her last fall, we realized she couldn't live alone anymore and moved her to a nursing facility. I tried to pause the service while we sorted out her final stay and was informed you have to pay $15 a month to pause the service.

Hello Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience and would like to look into your account further. Can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

Alert1

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My father passed away last May. I called to inform them in June. When sending back equipment make sure you track it. I didn't. The equipment got lost. After speaking to the company they so graciously are going to charge me $626 for another year of service that my deceased father won't be using. At least they were so kind to not charge me for the lost equipment. Lesson learned that companies like this don't show empathy.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are sorry to hear of your loss and that you did not have a pleasant experience cancelling with us. We would like to look into your account further, can you provide account details, name/phone number on account?

Alert1 Medical Alerts expert review by Shelley Webb

Choose between multiple home and on-the-go options to find a medical alert system that suits your lifestyle. Affordable pricing and 30-day refund policy make choosing a response system even easier.

• No long-term contract: Receive service on your terms and end when needed.

• 24/7 monitoring centers: U.S.-based emergency operators are highly trained and remain on the line with you until help arrives.

• 30-day refund policy: If you’re not happy with your equipment or service, return it within the first 30 days of service for a full refund.

• Multilingual protection: Highly trained operators can provide support in 190 languages.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Alert1 Company Information