2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.27/5
Based on 1,274 ratings

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

BOTTOM LINE

Alert1 monitoring centers are UL-listed and Five Diamond-certified. Additional Alert1 medical alert systems can get expensive, so it’s essential you determine how you’ll use and wear your device before choosing a package.

PROS

• No long-term contracts
  • Help in 190 different languages
  • Free 30-day trial

CONS

• Cellular networks may not work nationwide
  • Extra devices increase initial cost

Top Alert1 Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Excellent service… very helpful and professional. Helped me contact EMT services to ultimately locate my mother at a hospital. She was well taken care of and I was able to engage quickly from 1000 miles away. We have had the service for many years and we are very pleased.

I am extremely happy with Alert services. My mom has mentioned several times how secure she feels... Every time my mom has used the alert button, you've responded almost immediately. Also, Alert calls me to let me know my mom has pressed the button and is in distress...

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner, accredited by ConsumerAffairs.

Compare Brands

Alert1 review

Alert1 medical alert systems offer a range of options customizable to your needs with no long-term contracts or cancellation fees. Alert1 also allows you to try the service worry-free with their 30-day refund policy. It’s easy to add Alert1 system upgrades to feel safe anywhere in your home, and they offer several stylish medical alert necklace options.

Alert1 medical alert systems

Alert1 provides medical system packages for protection both at home and away with optional fall detection.

• Home: This landline-based system has a 600-foot range from the base unit. It comes with a waterproof medical alert button that’s compatible with pacemakers.
  • Home with Fall Detection: This system includes a showerproof medical alert button with fall detection. It can be used with a landline or cellular network services and has a 400-foot range that automatically alerts the service if you fall.
  • On-the-go: You don’t need a landline or cellphone with this plan. Depending on your location, it uses AT&T or T-Mobile networks for service. The included medical alert button is showerproof and has a 30-day battery life.
  • On-the-go with Fall Detection: This system uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular coverage to locate you if a fall is detected or the button is pushed. No landline or cellular coverage is necessary as it uses the cellular network for service.
  • On-the-go + Home Fall Detection: No cell phone or landline is required — it uses its own AT&T network for service. With this package, you’ll get the PAX mobile fall detection pendant, home fall detection pendant and home wristband. It costs $52.95 per month, including an annual payment.

Alert1 medical alert systems pricing

Alert1 medical alert systems start at $19.95 per month with an annual contract, plus there’s no activation fee.

Monthly rate with annualMonthly rate with semi-annual planMonthly rate with quarterly plan
Home$19.95$22.95$25.95
Home + Fall Detection$30.95$33.95$36.95
On-the-Go$30.95$33.95$36.95
On-the-Go + Fall Detection$41.95$44.95$47.95
On-the-Go + Home + Fall Detection$52.95$55.95$58.95

Alert1 medical alert accessories

Alert1 also offers many accessories to help protect you in your home and lessen the chance of accidents.

• Wall-mounted emergency button: This button connects wirelessly to your base system for a one-time fee of $39.95. It’s showerproof, so you can install it in the bathroom.
  • Emergency lockbox: For $39.95, this hanging lockbox holds up to five keys so emergency personnel can enter your home if needed.
  • Surge guard:  Protect your phone line or medical alert device from power surges with the surge guard for $19.95.
  • Silicone wristbands: These showerproof wristbands come in three colors: gray, purple and blue. It’s $9.95, soft on the wrist, sturdy and fashionable.
  • Fall detection pendant: The pendant is $30.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription. It requires a landline, is showerproof and instantly calls for help if it detects a fall.
  • Pax Plus classic wristband: For $29.95, this is an additional button for the Alert1 PAX Plus Mobile and Home Fall Detection System. The device is waterproof, and the band is made of soft silicone.
  • Mobile fall detection pendant: You can wear this medical alert button on a necklace or belt attachment. It’s $41.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription.
  • Alarm bracelet: This showerproof bracelet connects wirelessly to the Alert1 base and costs $19.95 or is free with an Alert1 subscription.
  • Alert pendant: This showerproof pendant connects wirelessly and requires a landline. It costs $19.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription.
  • Kelsi protective case and belt adapter: For $9.95, you can get a protective case for Alert1 Kelsi and Kelsi Pro on-the-go medical alert systems. It comes with a velcro belt attachment.
  • Medical ID bracelets: Each bracelet is $34.95, and it comes in your choice of small or large sizes. The stretch band is made from stainless steel and also holds your personal information.

All Alert1 medical alert necklaces are compatible with home medical alert buttons, Kelsi mobile medical alert pendants, as well as Life Alert and Lifeline medical alert buttons. Please note, some of these stylish medical alert necklaces come with magnetic clasps, which may not work for those with a Pacemaker.

Alert1 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Resolution response: Jan. 22, 2021

Alert1 and I have resolved our issue, and are now good. Note: My issue was never based on the products and services provided, as they are 5 star worthy, but with other parts of the agreement.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Payment for yearly subscription was posted on December 23rd. Mom is in care since mid December. Contacted Alert 1 on Monday the 28th to cancel service. Told 'no refund' after speaking with 4 different people, including supervisor. Told I have to pay entire year service of $431 for 5 days of service. These people are disgusting and feast off of the elderly. I will be posting daily about this horrible company because I have nothing better to do than to alert the world how vile, corrupt, and greedy these people are. DO NOT SELECT THIS COMPANY.

Hello John,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. In order to look into this further please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number.

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

My elderly mother has been charged $25 a month for 11 months without someone notifying her that the old machine that stopped working, needed to be returned or there would be a charge on her credit card every month. They said a letter was sent out once. This is unacceptable when the majority of your clients are elderly. And on fixed incomes. She didn't even see the charge. When I complained I was talked to very rudely. And told there was nothing I could do. We will send back the unit and find a better company with better customer service and I will not hesitate to address this companies problems with overcharging and unclear policies so others will be aware.

Hello Rebecca,

We are sorry to hear that mom's device wasn't working! Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number so that we can look into this further?

Alert1

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I purchased the Alert1 for my mom Feb 2020. My mom needs 24/7 care now 10/2020. I contacted the company for a partial refund. We no longer need the service. I prepaid for 1 year. I was told today that I would not receive a refund because I would have to cancel within 30 days. I was NOT told this fact, if so I would have paid monthly or quarterly. They are withholding 5 months of payment that we cannot afford. I was mislead.

Hello Gwen,

We are sorry to hear that you no longer need the Alert1 services. As we are a pre-paid company, there are no refunds after the 30 Day Money Back Guarantee period has passed. We would like to look into this further for you as this should have been advised to you over the phone. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We called 2 weeks ago to cancel the service before our renewal on 31 Aug was to take place. The lady of the phone said nothing of if it was charged that it would be non refundable. We have had this service for almost 5 years if not longer, but to charge on 31 Aug and we talk to them today 2 Sep and they say they have a new refund policy is stupid....How can a company like Alert One take advantage of the older generation by saying 3 days into the payment that you don't get a refund, especially after 5 years. Worst company I have ever felt with.

Hello David,

We appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention. We would like to look into why the cancellation on the account took so long that it surpassed the renewal. Could you please send the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

My Mother had a stroke a few days ago and will longer need the Alert 1 device, because she will need 24/7 care. She just renewed her year contract plus paid over $300 to have the device repaired. I called Alert 1 and was told they will not give a prorated refund or refund the repair cost. The representative that I spoke to was SO sorry this was happening and that this was the WORST part of her job to tell people that nothing will be done. Now after reading more reviews I see that they will try to renew her contract in the future. Please don't Alert 1, if you do you will be sorry.

Hello Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are sorry to hear that you needed to cancel services and would like to look into the account further. Could you please send us the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I have been a client since 2014 8/7 and I recently called Alert1 to let them know that my mother misplaced the unit for well over a year and we need to cancel the service on 7/5/2020. I specifically requested a stop for the rollover fee renewal and we have an understanding between the representative and myself based on the conversation on 7/5/2020. I told Alert1 that I will try to look for the misplaced unit and return it asap. I called again on 8/6/2020 to question a $503.4 charge and Alert1 indicated that this is the service fee for another year that automatically rollovers. I was not a client until 8/7/2014 and I called to cancel the contract where we have an understanding that the unit was misplaced for well over a year. Alert1 still refuses to issue refund.

This is money we do not have and under the circumstance, I have to care for my mother where she is in the process of apply to nursing home. All takes money. Alert1 is engaging in unfair trade practice and should be reprimanded for that. I demand my full refund of $503.40 included the fee for lost unit of $150 for all frustration caused. Alert1 enjoyed collecting fee from me since 2014 and I need justice to be served.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your review. As previously explained, we are only able to offer a partial refund as the account was not cancelled until after the renewal had passed and the recorded call was listened to and there was no notice made to Alert1 that the equipment was lost. If you would like to accept this refund offer please give us a call at 1-800-693-5433 Option 2.

Alert1

Original review: July 28, 2020

I originally bought the service for my father in law. He died two months after purchasing the product. They would not refund my money so I decided to give it to my husband's Aunt. When it came due for another year (ten months later) I had forgotten completely about it all. Without me knowing they attempted to bill the credit card (that I do not have anymore) on the due date. When it did not go through they contact me through email. I responded immediately to the email but did not hear anything back from them, so I assumed it was taken care of (I should not have assumed). Then after a couple of weeks I started getting the phone calls. I talked to them twice and explained that I did not have it anymore and they should talk to the owner of it now. They said I told them to bill me in the future.

I do not remember saying that but find it hard to believe I would say for them to charge me over 500.00 for a button I am not using anymore. They would do nothing to work with me. They stated since it was after the due date (which is the only time they attempted to get a hold of me) I had to pay for the entire year. I told them I was not going to do that and they needed to cancel. He told me on the phone it does not matter when it is cancelled. I still owe for an entire year. I responded to multiple emails explaining and wanting to work something but they started to harass my husband's 80 year old Aunt to get payment.

We have sent back the equipment, Alert 1 has refused any and all attempts to work with them to get this settled. So communication from me has stopped. Just be careful because they are NOT willing to work with you if you need to cancel and they bill you without any warning and they do not want you to know when your due date is until after the fact. I get that it is HIDDEN in the terms of agreement but this is shady business for a company that is supposed to be there for you or your loved ones.

Hello Donica,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you did not receive your billing reminder and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: June 12, 2020

If you no longer need your Alert1 button and have prepaid on an annual renewal plan, Alert1 will not pro-rate a refund for you on any time remaining on your yearly contract. So you will be paying for a service you won't be using. I find this very distressing. This is probably explained somewhere in the contract, but I can't believe the lack of compassion for people who really need those funds. The actual service of the product and the people monitoring the system was great, but when it comes down to dollars and cents, this company has shown me what they truly care about.

Hello Elliot,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. You are correct that in our Terms and Conditions, it does explain that there are no refunds after the renewal. However, we would like to look into the account further for you to see if there is something we can do to assist in these difficult times. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: June 5, 2020

I am 76 years old and had to cancel my service as my financial situation because oh COVID 19.. Immediately she told me I had to have the equipment In by June 6th or they would have to charge me and they are no refund very abruptly.. I tried to tell her I was not notified.. She gave me the e-mail address which was my son.. which I think was given to her at the beginning of the service.. but I am the one that is billed. We had a words.. I sent the equipment overnight. It arrived. It came but the building was closed.. Again I called different person. She said that wasn’t their fault. I tried to explain but she said sorry and hung up on me... So much for “we are in this together". I waiting to see if I am charged. Please no senior citizen use this company!,,

Hello Linda,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further and ensure that the account has been cancelled. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: May 19, 2020

This is an absolute scam and it's reprehensible to take advantage of dead people's estates during a pandemic! They have continuously charged my dead father after he died! They were notified of his death, continued to charge him, renewed him for another 6 months, and they refuse to give a refund. Not even a refund for the next 4 months.. And they charged it to his credit card right after they knew he dead! They said I can donate the rest of the time to someone else. How is this not illegal? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

Hello Susanna,

We are so sorry to hear of you and your families loss! We would like to look into the account to see why the account was not cancelled properly. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1 medical alert system upgrades

Alert1 offers many system upgrades to customize Alert1 devices.

Alert1 system upgradeDescriptionCost
    Voice ExtenderThe voice extender has a 2-way speaker that can be mounted on a wall or placed on a table. $99
    Fall Protection PackageIncludes 2 wall-mount buttons, two motion-sensing night lights, adhesive tub strips, and a 12-piece set of corner guards. $200
    Advantage PlanCoverage for damage or destruction to devices, free priority shipping on initial orders and free standard shipping on replacements. $24.99–$108.29
    Medication ReminderA large LED display gives up to 4 medication reminders per day and includes a 48-hour rechargeable battery back-up.$149.95
    Monitored Smoke DetectorAlert1 alarm service automatically notifies the call center if smoke is detected. $10/month

Alert1 FAQ

How do Alert1 medical alert systems work?
    If you need help, push the button, and you’ll immediately reach an operator. Alert1 monitoring services use TMA 5 Diamond Certified operators based out of two call centers in the United States. They undergo certification checks to ensure compliance. Operators are available 365-days per year at any time — day or night — and Alert1 supports 190 languages. The operator pulls up your information, including location, and alerts your emergency contacts. If you’re unable to speak, then the operator follows your custom instructions to get you the help you need. The operator stays on the phone with you the entire time, so you aren’t alone while waiting for help.
    Does Medicare cover Alert1?
    No, Medicare doesn’t cover Alert1.
    What is Alert1’s average response time?
    It takes 20-45 seconds for an Alert1 operator to pull up your information and respond.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get an Alert1 medical alert system?
    No long-term contracts are needed to get an Alert1 medical alert system.
    What is Alert1’s return policy?
    If it’s within the 30-day trial period, you must use the Alert1 device to make a successful test call to the Command Center and then return it in its original condition. Any pre-paid shipping, warranty or activation fees are non-refundable. For more information, contact Alert1 customer service.
    Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Alert1 monitoring service?
    Yes. It costs extra to add a spouse to Alert1 monitoring services, but you’ll get a discount for a second person in your home.
    Where are Alert1 monitoring centers located?
    Alert1 monitoring center are located in Pennsylvania, California, Idaho and Utah.
    Do Alert1 emergency response services require a landline?
    No, the Alert1 mobile alert systems work with their own cellular signal.
    Does Alert1 offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, you can purchase the Alert1 Advantage plan for additional coverage.
    Does Alert1 offer a free trial period?
    Yes, you can try out Alert1 devices for 30-days.
    Are Alert1 medical alert systems waterproof?
    Yes, all Alert1 medical alert system products are water-resistant and made to wear while showering or bathing.
    How much does Alert1 l cost per month?
    The Alert1 cost per month starts at $19.95.
    How long do Alert1 batteries last?
    Depending on your Alert1 system, the rechargeable batteries can last from 24 hours to 30-days.

Do we recommend Alert1 medical alert systems?

Yes. If you need a medical alert system, then you’ll appreciate the peace of mind you can get from Alert1 devices. There no cancellation fees and you can try the service risk-free with their 30-day refund policy. Plus, Alert1 systems provide a range of options customizable to your needs.

Alert1 Company Information