3.36/5

Need a medical alert system?

Alert1

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

1230 Alert1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This company does the monitoring service but once you agree to the terms and agreements you are stuck for life. The cancellation policy is very unfair to the customer. They automatically deduct your bank account for insurance, renewals, etc without prior notification to you. You have to realize the charge was done and send in their equipment within 30 days or you can forget about a monetary credit to your account. Their customer service agents and supervisors only tell you what they can't do. They only offered a credit for future service. Why would I want to continue service with a company like this. I already got a new monitoring company and am going to send back the equipment and just call it a loss. Now I am forced to pay for a year of service that I will not need or want. Be very careful with this horrible company.

Hello Raymond,

Thank you for your notes. Within our terms, you will find in section 3.1, termination guidelines with return to address.

We would like to get a better understanding of your lack of trust within the product. Can you provide the member name and/or phone numbers, so we can review the account and call you?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I purchased this service a year ago and paid upfront for the full year. After calling the company to cancel my subscription, I was advised that Alert1 planned to renew my subscription for another year and take the funds from my account. I explained to them that I was not authorizing any withdrawal from my account and that I did not want to continue with the service. I was told that I could request a refund after they received their payment. I find these business practices predatory, taking advantage of seniors who may or may not understand their policies. My advice, do not use this company!!

Julie,

Thank you for the review. We are sorry you did not have a great experience cancelling. We would like to look into your account to see if we can assist further. Can you provide account details, name/phone number on account.

Alert1

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My mother fell and was unable to get up on her own. The alert was activated and the fire department was notified. Her roommate provided them with entry and they assisted her. I am grateful for having this system because without it she would've remained on the floor until a male picked her up.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Button would not push and I lay on the flood for 6 hours and finally I got it to push. Called and they sent a new button. Thanks and everything is ok now and they send me out a new one that goes on my arm too.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I called Alert 1 when my husband recently fell in the bathroom. I was experiencing terrific knee pain at the same time and was unable to be of aid to my husband. Deerfield fire department arrived within minutes followed by the ambulance. They were able to assess and assist him very quickly. Quite pleased with Alert 1 response. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Response time was excellent. The operator was accurate and efficient. There were no problems this time or the last time we used your system. That is all I have to say about your service. We will continue to use your products.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

You contacted us yesterday morning (8/22/18) to notify us that Tim had fallen in his apt. Medics were also called and they arrived before we did. When we arrived, Tim was sitting in his chair and was stable and doing well. I much appreciate this service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My Dad recently fell again and pushed the button. You were quick to respond and my sister was there in minutes. I am in another state right now, and I received a voicemail stating what happened and that all was fine. We all feel much better since my Dad is wearing the Alert1.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Alert was pushed. I was called and message left. I called back and girl couldn’t find her account and didn’t know what was going on. Very frustrating. Emergency personnel did arrive was the only good thing. The girl answering phone didn’t have a clue.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The man that answered my button push was very helpful and calm on the phone. That made me feel more comfortable after me falling out of bed onto the floor. The firemen and the EMT's that came to help me were great too. Thank you :-).

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My mom is 84 and lives with my sister. She is frequently alone when my sister is working so we bought the Alert1 system for peace of mind. The system saved her life when she was in excruciating pain from a heart episode. Even though my sister was upstairs at the time, my mom was in pain and unable to call out for help. She hit the Alert1 button and your team responded immediately. The ambulance was called and the operator also called my sister's cell phone to alert and they called me as well. The Alert1 team is professional, responsive and fantastic! Thank you so much!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My mom is accidentally hitting her fall button often. Everyone from Alert1 who checks in, are always very pleasant and understanding. The few times last week when EMS was dispatched they followed the protocol. It turned out that she didn't hear the intercom or the phones and she was fine. I'm glad to know that Alert1 is there for her and our peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Our account is listed under my husband, Billy **. We are very satisfied with this service. The only thing that was misunderstood when we purchased this service was that once the button was pushed that the person on your side would be able to hear my husband as long as he was within range of the machine. We are going to need to relocate the device inside our home so if it is pushed again then the person from your side can hear him clear enough that an ambulance may not need to be called. However, I appreciate that they always ere on the side of caution and contact EMS when he can't be heard.

The only other suggestion I would have is can a text message be sent in addition to the call? The reason I say that is because of the number of robocalls these days I have not answered my phone on a couple of occasions because I thought they were robocalls. Thankfully my work phone was called when I couldn't be reached by my cell. Just thought a text would be another form of communication that could be used. We are very satisfied with this service & I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that I felt needed the service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Alert1 is the most unethical and unprofessional company I ever dealt with. Their cancellation policy is ambiguous. Their contract does not state the address where to return the equipment. Consumer has to call to ask for the address and even after they receive the equipment, no refunds are given prepaid charges. Luckily my 97 year mom did not need to use their services, no one knows if they would have a send help in case of emergency. I do not recommend Alert1 to anyone.

Hello Danny,

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My mother moved in 2016 and cancelled her service. She died last year. I have begun receiving multiple phone calls that are harassing me to return the equipment. We are attempting to locate whether the equipment was returned or not. In the meantime I have been getting phone calls every day that question whether my mother has died and why the equipment was not returned. I will never recommend your company to anyone and find that the harassment when we are grieving and trying to see if the equipment was returned in 2016.

Amy,

Sorry to hear of your loss. We would like to review the account further. Can you please provide additional details?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is very deceptive in terms of their return policy. Received a unit. Left unopened, I requested a full refund (as stated in their contract). They would not process a refund UNLESS I open the box, assemble, set-up, and test to make sure it is operable, and then repackage and send back!! This makes no sense! They state that the unit was checked before shipping, and unless something happened in transit (not my liability), it should still be operable. The company representative (Dakota) was very rude, and would not accommodate my refund. This type of deceptive business tactic is exactly what is wrong with these types of companies, and certainly makes me question how they would have responded if my loved one was in crisis. I strongly urge you to do business elsewhere... buyer beware.

Hello Steve,

Sorry to hear you did not have a stellar experience with Alert1. We would like to further look into your account, if you would kindly provide the Member name and/or phone number.

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This experience started out decent. I had leased this equipment for 3 yrs, for my elderly family member. When I chose to return the device, the experience turned sour. This company continued to try and bill me, after returning equipment. I ended up cancelling my credit card, so they couldn’t continue charging it. Then, they started with collection calls and letters, stating I owed them for a whole future year ($399). I told them this was unacceptable and unethical practice. The equipment had been returned for months and contract had expired.

It was on a yearly contract time frame. To top it all off, they recently sent me a bill stating now I owed them for not returning the equipment. I have the proof that they received the equipment from shipper. I also confirmed that it was received by an Alert1 representative. But, now they’re saying I owe ($899), for 1 year future service and not returning equipment. This company apparently has very unethical people running it. Honestly, they’re a bunch of liars and scam artists. Whatever you do, don’t use this POS company for anything. Please, learn from my misfortune. I certainly have, after the fact.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We would like to look into your account with more detail and help come to a resolution. Can you provide the Member name and/or phone number on the account?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My dad fell getting out of bed and could not get up. He pressed the call button and help was sent to him. He was okay but just too weak to get up by himself. Alert1 worked! So glad we got it for him.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

You are always on top of things. You made calls to everyone in family immediately with details of what happened. My mother falls frequently. You made my mother feel comfortable and reassured her that she can press the button any time and not to feel silly. That is what you are there for. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I am a new customer. I had another system that worked just fine. I changed to Alert1 for the GPS service. Yesterday I fell and the button did not work! I laid on the floor for 10 hours until my nurse arrived. At the hospital tests showed a concussion and multiple injuries. Today I called Alert1 and spoke to Conner. I was told no service on weekends (8/4/2018) and to call on Monday - 8/6/2018. So here I am alone with no service. Conner was unconcerned and kept repeating "call on Monday". This is 24/7 service? Technical service only Mon to Fri. I would advise anyone to check this flaw in this company before ordering. I will get my old service back!!!

Hello Kay,
    Thank you for your review. We am extremely sorry to hear of the situation. We do apologize, our office hours for customer service, is Monday - Friday, however our technical support is open 24/7.

We would to further look into your account, can you provide the Member name or phone number on the account,s o we can contact you?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had just hooked up the system Sunday night. My dad fell on Tuesday. Everything worked the way it was supposed to. The emergency squad was called, and I was called after that. It was loud enough for my dad to hear an answer.

Resolution response: July 30, 2018

We came to an agreement that I would pay only the 1st of three equal payments to resolve the issue. I am satisfied with the outcome.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I purchased a device for my grandparents when my grandfather became ill with cancer. He passed away and I continued to keep the account for my grandmother. The device stopped working and Alert1 sent out a new device. I have since received a ***FINAL NOTICE*** which was in fact my first notice, that I owed $559.95 for either un-returned or a damaged device.

I spoke to a representative who told me the device had indeed been received and to disregard the notice. She called me back shortly after to tell me she was mistaken and the device had been hit by lightning and I would have to pay the full amount unless I signed up for a device warranty for an additional charge - in which case they would discount my fee to $450. I asked for proof or some type of document to show the device had indeed been struck by lightning. None could be provided. Horrible policy! I will be canceling this service and will certainly not be making any recommendations to anyone.

Pam,

Thank you for providing a review. We are sorry you did not have a pleasant experience with us. We would like to look further into your account, can you provide the name or phone number on the account?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Alert1

Original review: July 16, 2018

My Mother needed help and your service provided her the ability to get paramedics at her home to assist her in an emergency situation. My sister and I live out of state and thank goodness for Alert1 system my Mother can live independently.

Original review: July 12, 2018

The response from Alert1 was perfect! Exactly as promised! Thanks! Mother fell and her caretakers could not lift her so the paramedics got her up and to the ER to be checked out. Alert1 called everyone on the list in the exact order as requested. They even knew the garage code to tell the paramedics! Thanks! Good work!

Original review: July 5, 2018

This was the first time we had pushed the Alert 1 button in response to an actual emergency. It has however been hit many times accidentally. Every time we have hit it accidentally the response time has been outstanding but when there was an actual emergency the response time was very slow. Not sure if this was on your end or the emergency responders (went to wrong house). Alert operator did not appear to be as well-trained and professional as previous operators. Situation turned out ok but the delay in the response time could have been life-threatening.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Excellent service - very helpful and professional. Helped me contact EMT services to ultimately locate my mother at a hospital. She was well taken care of and I was able to engage quickly from 1000 miles away. We have had the service for many years and we are very pleased.

Original review: July 4, 2018

OK as far as we know. We are in Atlanta. The person calling is in Griffin. It would have been easier for him to have called 911. You responded OK as far as we know. Alert 1 is for someone who can't get to the 'phone.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Do not use them. They are not ethical. They charged me over $500 when I returned the device I no longer needed. They broke a clip and claimed I did it. I realized they very rarely get these devices back from the living, so they take advantage. Stay away from Alert1.

Original review: June 28, 2018

The entire experience was perfect from start to finish. The required help arrived in minutes and Von was helped and on his way to the hospital. The Alert 1 employee was most professional and the help was guided to our home quickly.

Original review: June 28, 2018

My grandmother was set up with an Alert1 system by her home health agency after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She received her Alert1 system 12 hours before she passed. When I called to inform the company that she had passed and what we needed to do with the system, I found out she had been set up with a quarterly account which was not refundable. I explained to them that her family was not aware how long her contract was for, how it worked and had we had known we would not have requested a life alert system for her at all as she was only given 2 mos to live. I even spoke with a supervisor and explained that I didn't even mind paying for one month but 3 more months was completely ridiculous given she wasn't even alive anymore.

Alert1 Medical Alerts expert review by Shelley Webb

Twenty-five years of experience come to the fore to assist more than 200,000 annual customers. Alert1 is the recommended service from 10,000 healthcare professionals, making it one of the industry’s best options.

• Pricing: While subscription service is a little higher than the deep discount services, Alert1 does come with two free months of monitoring.

• The company has a good reputation: Customers express high satisfaction levels with Alert1, and it has a high positive feedback rating on one of the largest review sites on the web.

• They offer free shipping: Not only is shipping free, but rush shipping is free. This allows new customers to get set up as quickly as possible.

• They offer monitoring only: Monitoring is only necessary for people with health issues that might prevent them from contacting emergency services, or for the elderly. Monitoring comes with a higher price tag, so when it isn’t necessary, some people may prefer to avoid it.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Alert1 Company Information