Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Medical Alert Systems

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

BOTTOM LINE

Alert1 monitoring centers are UL-listed and Five Diamond-certified. Additional Alert1 medical alert systems can get expensive, so it’s essential you determine how you’ll use and wear your device before choosing a package.

PROS

• No long-term contracts
  • Help in 190 different languages
  • Free 30-day trial

CONS

• Cellular networks may not work nationwide
  • Extra devices increase initial cost

Top Alert1 Reviews

Excellent service… very helpful and professional. Helped me contact EMT services to ultimately locate my mother at a hospital. She was well taken care of and I was able to engage quickly from 1000 miles away. We have had the service for many years and we are very pleased.

I am extremely happy with Alert services. My mom has mentioned several times how secure she feels... Every time my mom has used the alert button, you've responded almost immediately. Also, Alert calls me to let me know my mom has pressed the button and is in distress...

Alert1 review

Alert1 medical alert systems offer a range of options customizable to your needs with no long-term contracts or cancellation fees. Alert1 also allows you to try the service worry-free with their 30-day refund policy. It’s easy to add Alert1 system upgrades to feel safe anywhere in your home, and they offer several stylish medical alert necklace options.

Alert1 medical alert systems

Alert1 provides medical system packages for protection both at home and away with optional fall detection.

• Home: This landline-based system has a 600-foot range from the base unit. It comes with a waterproof medical alert button that’s compatible with pacemakers.
    • Home with Fall Detection: This system includes a showerproof medical alert button with fall detection. It can be used with a landline or cellular network services and has a 400-foot range that automatically alerts the service if you fall.
    • On-the-go: You don’t need a landline or cellphone with this plan. Depending on your location, it uses AT&T or T-Mobile networks for service. The included medical alert button is showerproof and has a 30-day battery life.
    • On-the-go with Fall Detection: This system uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular coverage to locate you if a fall is detected or the button is pushed. No landline or cellular coverage is necessary as it uses the cellular network for service.
    • On-the-go + Home Fall Detection: No cell phone or landline is required — it uses its own AT&T network for service. With this package, you’ll get the PAX mobile fall detection pendant, home fall detection pendant and home wristband. It costs $52.95 per month, including an annual payment.

Alert1 medical alert systems pricing

Alert1 medical alert systems start at $19.95 per month with an annual contract, plus there’s no activation fee.

Monthly rate with annualMonthly rate with semi-annual planMonthly rate with quarterly plan
    Home$19.95$22.95$25.95
    Home + Fall Detection$30.95$33.95$36.95
    On-the-Go$30.95$33.95$36.95
    On-the-Go + Fall Detection$41.95$44.95$47.95
    On-the-Go + Home + Fall Detection$52.95$55.95$58.95

Alert1 medical alert accessories

Alert1 also offers many accessories to help protect you in your home and lessen the chance of accidents.

• Wall-mounted emergency button: This button connects wirelessly to your base system for a one-time fee of $39.95. It’s showerproof, so you can install it in the bathroom.
    • Emergency lockbox: For $39.95, this hanging lockbox holds up to five keys so emergency personnel can enter your home if needed.
    • Surge guard:  Protect your phone line or medical alert device from power surges with the surge guard for $19.95.
    • Silicone wristbands: These showerproof wristbands come in three colors: gray, purple and blue. It’s $9.95, soft on the wrist, sturdy and fashionable.
    • Fall detection pendant: The pendant is $30.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription. It requires a landline, is showerproof and instantly calls for help if it detects a fall.
    • Pax Plus classic wristband: For $29.95, this is an additional button for the Alert1 PAX Plus Mobile and Home Fall Detection System. The device is waterproof, and the band is made of soft silicone.
    • Mobile fall detection pendant: You can wear this medical alert button on a necklace or belt attachment. It’s $41.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription.
    • Alarm bracelet: This showerproof bracelet connects wirelessly to the Alert1 base and costs $19.95 or is free with an Alert1 subscription.
    • Alert pendant: This showerproof pendant connects wirelessly and requires a landline. It costs $19.95 or free with an Alert1 subscription.
    • Kelsi protective case and belt adapter: For $9.95, you can get a protective case for Alert1 Kelsi and Kelsi Pro on-the-go medical alert systems. It comes with a velcro belt attachment.
    • Medical ID bracelets: Each bracelet is $34.95, and it comes in your choice of small or large sizes. The stretch band is made from stainless steel and also holds your personal information.

All Alert1 medical alert necklaces are compatible with home medical alert buttons, Kelsi mobile medical alert pendants, as well as Life Alert and Lifeline medical alert buttons. Please note, some of these stylish medical alert necklaces come with magnetic clasps, which may not work for those with a Pacemaker.

Alert1 Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 28, 2020

We leased an Alert 1 unit for my mother for several years. On July 31, 2019 my credit card was charged $395.40 for the next year. ($32.95 per month). The beginning of March this year, I called to cancel service as mom had passed. I was given instructions regarding the return. I asked about a refund. I was told that because I prepaid for the service there would be no refund, but I would have a credit. (In my estimate the credit would be $$131.80 - $164.75 - keep that number in mind.)

I shipped the unit back on March 10th with a note including part number, serial number, control number of the base unit and the included parts. I also included contact information should they need that. On March 13th I noticed a charge to my account for $59.95. I called to inquire and was told that I did not return the lockbox. (To be honest, I do not remember if we got one or not.) I said, "What about my credit." I was told it is a time credit not a money credit. But I paid for services that I will not be given. Doesn't matter as I do not have $$$ credit. Why was I charged without being notified. No one knows.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was no reason to speak to a supervisor, they will tell me the same thing. Told him I still wanted to speak with a supervisor. I was told it will take 24 - 48 hours for the supervisor to call me back. Well, here I sit 48 hours later and no call. So before you consider using this company, remember this:

1. You can pay for services you will not use and not get a refund.
    2. You can have a credit, but can not use it.
    3. You can send them contact info but they will charge you without letting you know.
    4. Customer service can tell you that you do not need to speak to a supervisor.

5. Supervisors will not respond.

Good luck.

Hello Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are sorry for any confusion but with all of our services being pre paid, you are able to use the remaining time credit either for a loved one, or a donation. We would like to take a look further into the account to see why a supervisor has not reached out to you as here at Alert1 we are always striving to do better. Could you please provide the Member's name and/or phone number?

Best,

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 23, 2020

Alert 1 automatically charges my 96 year old father-in-law's account each year in March for the following year's service. I called on March 17th, 2020 and told them that he was in a nursing home and no longer needed the service, and he had not used it for several months after a fall landed him in the hospital, and eventually he was transferred to a nursing home where he did not need it anymore. They told me they could not cancel the service until the equipment is returned.

Due to Covid-19, the nursing home is on quarantine, so I could not get in to find the equipment. I called the nursing home and asked the nurses to see if they could find it, but they could not. On March 23, 2020, I called them back and explained the situation. I offered to pay for the lost equipment. They were charging $500 for something that was included with his subscription years ago. They agreed to drop the price to $299.

While on the phone with them, I looked at the bank account and saw they had charged $395.40 on March 18th, 2020 for 2020-2021 which was the service that I had been trying to cancel. I said, "Well why don't you just take the money you just charged him and pay for the equipment and call it good." The Alert 1 employee then informed me that she couldn't do that. Then I asked if they would refund him the $395.40, once the $299 was paid and she said the $395.40 was non-refundable. So they are charging a 96 year old man with no income $395.40 for a service he will not be using for the next year and $299.00 for an item that was included with his subscription years ago.

Hello Stacey,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us and we are glad that we were able to assist you in closing out the account. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Best,

Alert1

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 17, 2020

Mother in law passed away 2 weeks into quarterly bill cycle and they will not pro rate the difference. Making me pay the 21/2 months remaining.. Have absolutely no compassion for people. All they care about is being paid!

Hello Tim,

We are very sorry to hear of you and your families loss! In order to look into this further for you, could you please provide the account information? Such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: March 9, 2020

My mom was billed 181.00 in Jan of this year, she passed away in Feb. Not only do you not give refunds for unused service, but we were charged 59.00 for the lost necklace. She was rushed by ambulance to the hospital, we have no idea what happened to it. I sent the DC along with a letter explaining what happened, because I was told by one of their operators to do just that, and they still charged us. Ridiculous, outrageous, very expensive for this service. So it's 360.00 a year? Ripoff, will share this as much as much as I can.

Hello Kim,

We are very sorry to hear of you and your families loss! We would like to look further into the account for you to assist in closing out the account. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 4, 2020

Upon the anniversary date of my wife's Alert 1 I informed the company that I needed to return the alert as my wife is now in a LTCF. I was told that I must pay for the entire year and would NOT be getting refund. This is unacceptable.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review and bringing this to our attention. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number so that we can look into this further?

In order to cancel your Alert1 services we simply need to receive all the leased equipment back in the main office before the next billing date. Our address here is:

1000 Commerce Park Drive
      Suite 300

Williamsport, PA 17701

Alert1

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

The system itself is not bad but after 4 years my mom went into a skilled nursing facility. I called to cancel the service and ask for instructions for returning the equipment. After a few weeks of not receiving any instructions for returning the equipment I called back. They said that until I returned the equipment I was still being billed and that a bill for $599 had been charged that day for the coming year. So even though the service was not going to be used and I had previously called to cancel they were charging this fee. For a company that tries to say they care about the elderly...it is obvious that they do not. After much discussion they agreed to charge only 3 months of fee instead of a year (something they could have done from the beginning). They have called every few days since then to harass me for payment and assure me that they will continue to do so indefinitely. Horrible company.

Hello Judith,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience cancelling your Alert1 account. We would like to look into this further so that we can better our services. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I purchased the service from Alert1 for my mother and at first it was good but it didn’t last. On several occasions when she fell no one ever called to see if there was a problem but I saw sit down normally and it was set off. Last month the system quit working and she wanted to cancel the service but their smooth talking reps wouldn’t let her off the phone until they talked her into getting another unit. By the time it came end, which the new unit also malfunctioned, I was charged for another year of service. She returned both units and I wanted a prorated refund (I was willing to pay for an entire month for 8 days she had the unit) but according to the crooks at Alert1 said the plan doesn’t give refunds just “time credit”. I will never use or recommend their service again so why would I want that credit? I was charged $700 for 8 days!! If you have someone you want protected stay away from this company.

Hello Martin,

We are sorry to hear that the Alert1 button didn't work properly for your mother and want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further for you, could you please provide the account information such as Member's name and/or phone number?

Resolution response: March 31, 2020

While I would have preferred that the situation never occurred, I did receive a prompt reply to my review from Alert1. They did, in fact, refund a portion of the payment. They seemed sincere in wanting to correct the problem. Aside from the cancellation/payment policy issue, I would like to say that the actual service provided was very professional and prompt.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

My 98 year old mother has been a customer of yours for a good number of years. We recently paid Alert1 through her Visa card for the first 6 months of 2020. We understand that you insist on billing with a major credit card. We contacted your customer service on January 27, 2020 and were instructed that in order to cancel, we must return the equipment as well insure it for $600. This we have done through UPS at the cost of $23.94. Upon requesting a refund for the remaining 5 months, we were told this would not be possible as your policy is not to issue a refund. We were told that we should transfer the service to another person or that my mother could use Alert1 in ADDITION to the Assisted Living Facility's emergency response system. This struck us as ludicrous as the facility provides all of the services of your system.

Rest assured we will keep our receipt from UPS to ensure that the system has been received by your company. I have to say that your suggestion that we transfer the service to another unsuspecting senior was a feeble attempt to do your sales/marketing staff's job for them. Additionally, I object to the fact that you insist on a major credit card. It seems the only purpose is to continue billing unsuspecting seniors. I wish we had read reviews before using your service. It seems this is a recurring problem with a number of your customers. At this point, I could not in good conscience recommend your company to anyone.

Hello Bridget,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are sorry to hear that you have not had a pleasant experience with Alert1 and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Alert 1 contacting a person that needs help is good. The actual customer service, sucks. I called last year in May to advise them my mother in-laws house burned and needed to cancel service. Well no way that was happening. No refund either. Their response, "We need the equipment back". So my mother in-law passed always a few months after that and I talk to customer service and I learn I need to provide death certificate to keep from being billed in the future. They get it, but in the meantime charge my credit card over $400. and their excuse because insurance had not paid them yet for fire damaged to the equipment. Did they call to warn me that it was time to renew services and I would be charged again, no!

So they get their insurance money and mine too. Their response, it states in their policy which I’ve l never seen nor signed No Refunds. I’m not a happy person with this company. How many people do they take money from each and every day. I would not recommend them to anyone. There's new technology out there and people you need to shop around.

Hello Rhonda,

Thank you for sending us your review. We are sorry to hear of all the hardships you and your family have been going through. We would like to take a closer look into your mother-in-laws account, could you please provide us the Member's name and/or phone number so that we can do so?

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

A new Alert1 customer/member trialed the home medical alert system and pre-payed for a year of service. Unfortunately he passed away within the first/trial month of service. Under these circumstances it was not possible to return the equipment within the 30-day trial period. On day 33 I called Alert1 customer service in order to cancel the service and return the equipment. I was informed that the deceased member would not get any refund for the remaining 11 months of services, from which he can no longer benefit, and that he has until Feb. 01/16/2021 to return the equipment at his own expense (including charges for a return receipt and $600 loss insurance). Alert1 customer service policies demonstrate no compassion, and no common sense.

Hello David,

We are sorry to hear of you and your families loss! Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We would like to look into this further for you, could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1 medical alert system upgrades

Alert1 offers many system upgrades to customize Alert1 devices.

Alert1 system upgradeDescriptionCost
      Voice ExtenderThe voice extender has a 2-way speaker that can be mounted on a wall or placed on a table. $99
      Fall Protection PackageIncludes 2 wall-mount buttons, two motion-sensing night lights, adhesive tub strips, and a 12-piece set of corner guards. $200
      Advantage PlanCoverage for damage or destruction to devices, free priority shipping on initial orders and free standard shipping on replacements. $24.99–$108.29
      Medication ReminderA large LED display gives up to 4 medication reminders per day and includes a 48-hour rechargeable battery back-up.$149.95
      Monitored Smoke DetectorAlert1 alarm service automatically notifies the call center if smoke is detected. $10/month

Alert1 FAQ

How do Alert1 medical alert systems work?
      If you need help, push the button, and you’ll immediately reach an operator. Alert1 monitoring services use TMA 5 Diamond Certified operators based out of two call centers in the United States. They undergo certification checks to ensure compliance. Operators are available 365-days per year at any time — day or night — and Alert1 supports 190 languages. The operator pulls up your information, including location, and alerts your emergency contacts. If you’re unable to speak, then the operator follows your custom instructions to get you the help you need. The operator stays on the phone with you the entire time, so you aren’t alone while waiting for help.
      Does Medicare cover Alert1?
      No, Medicare doesn’t cover Alert1.
      What is Alert1’s average response time?
      It takes 20-45 seconds for an Alert1 operator to pull up your information and respond.
      Do I have to sign a contract to get an Alert1 medical alert system?
      No long-term contracts are needed to get an Alert1 medical alert system.
      What is Alert1’s return policy?
      If it’s within the 30-day trial period, you must use the Alert1 device to make a successful test call to the Command Center and then return it in its original condition. Any pre-paid shipping, warranty or activation fees are non-refundable. For more information, contact Alert1 customer service.
      Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Alert1 monitoring service?
      Yes. It costs extra to add a spouse to Alert1 monitoring services, but you’ll get a discount for a second person in your home.
      Where are Alert1 monitoring centers located?
      Alert1 monitoring center are located in Pennsylvania, California, Idaho and Utah.
      Do Alert1 emergency response services require a landline?
      No, the Alert1 mobile alert systems work with their own cellular signal.
      Does Alert1 offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
      Yes, you can purchase the Alert1 Advantage plan for additional coverage.
      Does Alert1 offer a free trial period?
      Yes, you can try out Alert1 devices for 30-days.
      Are Alert1 medical alert systems waterproof?
      Yes, all Alert1 medical alert system products are water-resistant and made to wear while showering or bathing.
      How much does Alert1 l cost per month?
      The Alert1 cost per month starts at $19.95.
      How long do Alert1 batteries last?
      Depending on your Alert1 system, the rechargeable batteries can last from 24 hours to 30-days.

Do we recommend Alert1 medical alert systems?

Yes. If you need a medical alert system, then you’ll appreciate the peace of mind you can get from Alert1 devices. There no cancellation fees and you can try the service risk-free with their 30-day refund policy. Plus, Alert1 systems provide a range of options customizable to your needs.

Alert1 Company Information