2.58/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a medical alert system?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Alert1

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 6, 2017

1142 Alert1 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

When we recently moved from FL to CO and tried to use our equipment, called Alert1 and worked with customer service for 2 hours on the phone but service was determined to be not reliable. We were instructed to return the equipment and we would receive a refund for the unused portion of our year which was paid in advance. We followed the instructions but it was determined once returned that that they would not refund our money. We were never informed of this or the cancellation of our account until we followed up with several phone call. We even sent a second letter with details, but no response. Still awaiting a letter from them!

Alert1 response
Hello Joyce,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had a less than stellar experience with us, and sorry to hear. To review the account , can you provide your account details so we can look into this further?

Alert1

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Paid annual rate as more costly than others if monthly. Aunt had stroke, disconnected at 27 days but didn't call until after 30 days as waiting to see impact. Have to ship back equipment & insure it for $600 before they end policy. No credit given. Slow to respond to test call. Very expensive & not willing to work with you. Would not recommend.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Do not use this company! Poor service & unfair business practice. They don't answer the alert calls very promptly, some calls take minutes to answer which is not good if you have a true emergency! Bill practices are very deceptive, be careful they will take your credit card and will state that they have terms and conditions which you agreed to which do not provide for reimbursement of annual paid services. So if a 93 old passes one month into the service they request you return the equipment and they do NOT provide any type of refund. They state that billing terms are in the box and since you installed the equipment you agree! My next action is to file a complaint with the state of Ohio Attorney General Office. What a waste of time! Again, do NOT use this company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Long story short, get a signed contract from this company. I bought this service for my father 3 years ago (I handled all the invoicing for my father). Never a problem until my father (who is 87 now) lost his device (he lives over 500 miles away from me). This was their mobile device which the person carries on their person. Alert1 demanded $500 to replace the unit. I asked for my signed contract because I couldn't find it on file on my end. Alert1 informed me that they "don't do signed contracts". They invoiced my credit card $500 (after they told me they didn't have my card on file).

I went to Alert1 3 different times telling them without a signed contract on my end, that there was no way their device was worth $500 to build, and that I would contact the BBB, state attorney's office as well as reviews. They still demanded their $500. Went to the BBB and filed a complaint, and Alert1 called me about an hour later. Asked if I remove the complaint, they would not require the $500.

If you read online reviews about this company, you will see numerous complaints about their billing practices, which I all too well understand now. I've since called 3 other "medical alert companies", and all of them have informed me that their insurance covers BOTH lost and damage devices. All of them informed me that I would have it in writing, and the new company I chose sent me the paperwork in writing. Again, when dealing with this company, get your warranty in writing. Overall a very exhausting process which this company could of very well avoided, but they chose not to. There seems to be a HUGE disconnect between their billing and service customer departments that leaves me scratching my head.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I paid yearly for Alert1 service. I did not like the fall detector so I spoke to Crystal that I would like to return it. She said that she would send me a return label but could give me a refund until the end of the contract. All of sudden I started receiving threatening letters from billing regarding the return of the fall detector and charging me $59.95 or I would be put in collection. I was waiting for the label to mail it back. I should not have been even charged for anything since I am paid in full for the year. I called and complained and told the letters would stop once I send the fall detector back. How can I be charged for something that is already paid for and told I will not be reimbursed for it. I am 75 years old and this company has taken advantage of me and trying to milk more money out me. I received no satisfaction from customer service and some generic answer. I will not recommend this company before I needed their service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Services LLC?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Please, please, please do not buy Alert1. They are a rip off. I purchased this for my mother who, unfortunately, passed away last year. First, if you agree on a annual contract they charge you for the full year even though your loved one may have passed away one month after the new contract began. Also, Because we can not locate the box, they are continually charging me for a service that has not been used in over 1 year. Look for a more customer service driven company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

BEWARE of Alert1's RISK-FREE trial and refund policy. It is not risk-free when the company adds an extended warranty without your permission. I ordered a system for my mother, paying the entire year at the time of purchase, and was told there is a risk-free 30 day trial. The unit did not perform to my mom's satisfaction so decided to return product within the 30 days. When I asked about returning and refund, I was informed that I would not receive a full refund of my purchase price of $428.15. The original selling representative added an extended warranty of a cost of $68.75 which is not refundable. I NEVER agreed to this extended warranty. I have tried to get Alert1 to refund the entire cost. They refuse. This is a deceptive business practice to add services without consent. Alert1's risk-free trial cost $68.75–reprehensible!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Alert1 was sold to me not just as a medical device, but as a service that I could use in the event my neighbor should get robbed. It's in your best interest to do a reality check with your local police department. I never wore the Alert 1 monitor around my neck. I primarily used the device to check in. I had one device that was charged 100 percent and that malfunctioned. The Alert 1 customer service wanted to verify my name and asked if she was talking to eLIAR. Close, my last name is **.

The second gadget that I was sent was also made in CHINA. In the event that I had a serious emergency, such as a heart attack, etc., this monitor would not be a wise decision because you have to firmly hold onto the button until a dispatcher answers the call. Alert 1 most expensive monitor needs to be recharged every 24 hours. I was told preferably at night. This monitor will sound off every time the gadget is bumped into a hard surface. I think that $500.00 to replace a gadget that is made in CHINA is an overvaluation.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I bought the Kelsi for my uncle whom I live with in on June 28. I am in the military and rarely home and thought this would be a great safety tool for when I was away. The customer service agent on the line told me there were two ways to pay. 1. Either month to month and could cancel anytime. 2. Prepay for a full year (which includes a bit of a cheaper price as you paid upfront) and I was told if I needed to cancel they would just refund the unused portion of the subscription. My uncle has recently passed away and when I called to cancel they told me to send in the device and there would be no refund. What would possibly be the incentive of prepaying for a year of service when a DEATH doesn't even warrant a refund?! What a joke of a company.

Resolution response: Oct. 8, 2017

The day after I posted the original review, I had a call from the manager. She was polite and offered to settle the account for one month's payment. Although I was not required to make the payment out of my own pocket, since my Father is deceased, I did anyway. I felt as though it was a power play. If I wanted the company to leave my sister to mourn in peace, I had to pay it.

For myself, I have Guardian as my fall security company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My sister chose this company for my Dad after he fell and hurt himself. She read the website reviews and thought that the company sounded great. She doesn't live here with him. When he would bump the pendant on the counter or take it off, the sensor would go off. The alert machine was downstairs in my bedroom. He was upstairs. They would wake me up yelling his name. I told them repeatedly that I was going up to check on him. I would be 1/2 way upstairs and they were still yelling his name. Before I could get to his room, they would start calling the house phone and my phone. It was horrible being woken up in the middle of the night almost every night. And he was always FINE.

Then he passed. I called them the next day. We have a balance, in part because they didn't tell me to return the pendant and watch with the machine (over $100 charge for not returning them. I was NOT instructed to return them by the customer service rep). It's been 2 months. His estate is not settled. They contact my sister or me 2 or 3 times a week. They have been instructed to leave my sister alone. I am executor. They won't stop harassing my grieving little sister for the money.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I purchased this upfront one-time payment with insurance and the works. I live in Cali. Mom lives in Texas. Mom has stage 4 kidney failure, 81 years old. This company has been constantly calling saying she owes $119.45 that being 1 month of service. I KNOW Mom called, stopped service prior to end of contract date and shipped the equipment. They are saying they did not receive the equipment in time and that she will STILL BE BILLED $119.45.

Mom and I are well aware of companies taking of elderly people and for that matter MOST people. I thought this was a reputable company. When I got this for her I made sure everything was PAID UPFRONT AND AT THE END NO RENEWALS unless WE request it. We have NO CONTROL OVER THE MAIL. I am sure she kept the receipt or maybe not. I was hoping we didn't have go this far. Anyway I will never recommend this company to anyone and Alert1 should be investigated to see how many people they do this to. They call Mom all the time which is starting to be harassment. Mom has excellent credit and now Alert1 has told her they will be turning it over to her creditors. Mom's response is, "I know I did the right thing. I am dying so what if they try to ruin my credit." ALERT ONE YOU S**K!

Resolution response: July 17, 2017

Alert 1 has lived up to the standard that I always knew they were capable of, received a call from a manager, she was awesome, she answered and took care of all my concerns, I was even enrolled in a new service to help manage my account more accurately, the solution we reach was totally acceptable and I would recommend Alert 1 to anyone who is looking for a medical alert system, If I could give a lot more then 5 stars I would, thank you Alert 1 and to the manager whom I spoke with, you were amazing.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Your customer service is disgusting lately, called yesterday with a complaint. Asked to speak with a high level manager and was put on hold for at least fifteen (15) minutes, manager never got on the phone, told the agent I wanted a call back and still have not received one, truly disgusting customer service.

Original review: July 10, 2017

After 13 years service for my mother we had to terminate our coverage. I pay January every year. Phone system changed. She was unable to get a connection with Alert1. I advised office we would have to cancel our service. I was told I would not receive credit for 5 months of service owed. I would only receive credit if I had cancelled 30 days after payment. I'm disappointed in their attitude.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I called to set up Alert1 for my 90-year old mother who was coming home from a nursing home. At no time during the conversation did anyone ask me who we had line land with. When unit came it would not work. When called they ended up asking me what landline company we had and then said it was not compatible with this company. Now are refusing to refund my month's service, this to me is fraud. Do not deal with this company. All they want is your money and don't care whether it works or not.

Original review: June 14, 2017

My 95 year old mother has the mobile GPS unit. Since May of 2016 she has had the plastic connection from the unit to the belt clip break. She never takes it out of the clip and only clips to her clothes. We purchased the insurance and Alert1 replaced the unit. Now a 2nd unit has done the same thing and they want to charge $500.00. After talking to a supervisor they reduced to $250.00. Bad deal that a company will not stand behind a defective unit and a good customer. Even if I cancel it is still the charge. Do not buy from them as this unit will cost you money. What a shame to treat our seniors like this.

Original review: May 2, 2017

My 90 y.o. mother had an episode of vertigo and was unable to return to bed. She pressed her call button and First Alert operators spoke with her and contacted me to explain the situation and called an ambulance. The following day a similar event took place and again it was handled efficiently. First Alert operators took information regarding the location of a key and relayed this info to the police and ambulance personnel thus avoiding breaking in the door.

Original review: May 2, 2017

My phone was on vibrate and they didn't initially get me, then they called my sister, Nita. I had listened to the message and got to Mom before my sister did. She had fallen but nothing was broken, nor bleeding, all is well. Thank you for your service.

Original review: April 27, 2017

My sisters and I signed up for the medical alert program for my 80 year old mother who suffers from a medical condition that can make her so weak that she sometimes cannot get up. We renewed the service each year, and my mother carried the alert necklace with her for about 4 years. About a year ago, my sister who had signed up for the program passed away. There were other arrangements made for my mother, so she no longer wanted to have the Alert 1 program and called to see how to get the service stopped. She was told she had to wait until the end of the contract (about 11 months) and then send in the hardware that goes with the service. She did that, and obtained a proof of delivery that the hardware had been received by Alert 1.

When the contract period was up, she tried to stop the service and was told she would first have to pay almost $400. She asked for explanation and they tried to tell her the contract wasn't up. Remember, the contract was with my deceased sister, not my mother. She argued and eventually got someone to agree she did not owe any money and the service would be cancelled. A few days later, she got another call from customer service saying she owed the $400. She went through the process of explaining everything again, including the fact that the contract was with my deceased sister, not my mother, and that all equipment had been returned and she had proof of receipt. After another hour and a half on the phone, the customer service agent again agreed she did not owe any money and said she would cancel the service.

A few days later, she got still another call! This agent said she owed $400 and if she didn't pay, she would be sent to collections. She again refused to pay, explained everything again, and told the agent that this constant calling and demanding money was harassment. Suddenly the agent found the returned hardware and agreed that she did not owe anything and said they would cancel the service. At this time, it appears that Alert 1 has stopped the harassing phone calls, but it has only been about a week, so that isn't certain yet. The actual service she received while having the equipment was good, although she never had to use it in an emergency, but the hassle and harassment that occurred at the end of the service was such an awful experience that I would never recommend anyone sign up for this product.

Original review: April 26, 2017

My mom fell and her monitor around her neck never went off! My mom sat on the floor for about 7 hours! She had pooped and peed on herself while sitting there! There is no excuse as to why the monitor never went off! None!

Original review: April 20, 2017

So we had to push twice and call for paramedics. We've now made adjustments. We have ordered a bed with rails for Dad so that he will not fall out of bed again. So glad you were in place to help with dad as we learned this lesson.

Original review: April 12, 2017

The response to calling seems to be dependent on phone service. Sometimes AT&T gets the signal to you quickly and other times it takes over a minute instead of 15 seconds. However, responders are ALWAYS professional, courteous and helpful. They are especially helpful in resolving issues when the buttons work slowly or not at all. Sometimes it is human error on our part, pressing it too many times due to panic. Other times it is due to equipment failure or slow AT&T service.

Original review: April 5, 2017

Edna fell 3/31/17. She was able to use her alert for help. My husband and I arrived as ambulance drove up. They were swift and took immediate action. Everyone was courteous and caring. Edna is 96. She was disoriented but able to give her name & birthday. She went to the hospital for stitches in her head, X-rays. She was released to come home and is still recovering from injury. Thanks so much for all you do to assist!

Original review: April 5, 2017

Alert1 motion sensor and alert button did not work as loved one pushed button all night with no response - resulting in ICU, hospital and rehab stay. Found him on the floor the next morning. Customer service horrible - gave conflicting stories and did not seem to care. Only care about collecting money for a system that does not work. Wonder how they'd like to pay the hospital bill. Loved one almost died!! Told customer service this and they said "sorry but if you want a refund he needs to send system back!!!" Explained he could not because he has been in the hospital for the past two months - no empathy, and lame explanations. No one was even contacted when they said battery was low!!! I was told three different stories, none of them true. They had one job!!!

Original review: April 4, 2017

You contacted my family immediately just like always. I couldn't ask for better service. Alert1 is a life saver... I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Alert1 to a friend!!! Your staff is always friendly and helpful. I couldn't imagine not having my Alert1.

Original review: April 4, 2017

The lady we are helping get started with the service claims that she received Alert 1 calls when she had done nothing more than undress for bed. I demonstrated that the alert button did not activate the service by swinging, banging against my chest, etc. but she is convinced it went-off without her doing anything. Otherwise, it seems to be working and the call tree being used correctly.

Original review: March 31, 2017

Howard fell to floor getting back in bed. Couldn't get up from floor, pushed button, told Alert1 rep he was ok just couldn't get up. Rep called paramedics who came and assisted Howard. Rep called Howard's son to let him know what happened. Very professional.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 30, 2017

I purchase the system for my mom and sister both who had handicaps - system did not work well and when my sister call to cancel they stated it was done - but when both my sister and mother passed away about two months afterwards I found out they had not received the equipment back when they billed me 3 months after both of them had passed. When I called to address all they wanted was their money even when I explained I was several states away and would send the equipment back when I addressed the estate. Even then I received phone calls every three days wanting me to pay them - seems all they cared about was getting their money. I had to pay for service no one used to keep them from calling - I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Mother said she had to press button 3 times before response. Afterwards, everything went exactly like the plan. Response was great. Have to program the emergency number into my phone. It's not the same as the one on the unit. My brother said he's just reported "Utah".

Original review: March 24, 2017

The experience was one of unusual circumstance. The day I called to set up service, the sales operator was argumentive over a special that was advertised on the internet just the day before. There was a small compromise with the price. I do think since my mother paid for a year and only used the service for 35 days before her death, this should have been prorated for a refund. Five days over the full refund limit is minuscule. The service is really good, it's too bad you can't match it with a fair customer service.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I called to sign up for a monthly subscription to their most versatile system - home and mobile - for 89/month. It arrived and immediately upon set up my 96 year old father could not understand the person over the unit. The audio quality was terrible. I called to switch to a home base and they would not refund the difference in the monthly cost! They told me the money back guarantee is ONLY IF YOU SIGN UP FOR AN ANNUAL AGREEMENT. I was never told this - would not have agreed to it, and looked at the large banner on their website with a HUGE blue ribbon. I had to read it word by word a few times before I caught the word "annual" hidden in the paragraph. LOOK IT UP!

First of all - that is poor business practice to not stand behind your product and services enough to not even guarantee satisfaction at all. We disliked it from the moment we tried it. In addition, to not refund the $25 difference in the monthly services because we didn't sign up for a year (who would do that for a 96 year old?) is also poor business. So, for the fact they refused to refund the difference. I cancelled altogether and went with Bay Medical. They have a 14 day trial when you can send it back AT NO COST and FOR A FULL REFUND! They are much more professional and offer a better product line. Unless you want to get ripped off, READ THE REVIEWS AND GO WITH BAY.

Alert1 Company Information