Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Medical Alert Systems

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Alert1 Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My mother moved into a senior living residence and called to cancel service in February 2019. Instructions were given to return the device at our own expense. It was insured and mailed from the US Postal Service. Several months later we notice a charge of over $200 from her credit card. Upon inquiring Alert1 claims they never received it. We could not find the receipt with tracking number so they said that they do not cancel until it is returned even though they can tell that they are not providing service and were told to cancel. In the fall they charged another $200. Throughout we called and explained that this must be canceled. Then they charged over $500 for the device. This has been set up to rip off seniors. No one at customer service had any authority to correct this issue. It is obvious that their policies are designed to keep seniors from canceling.

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We do apologize but due to the equipment being leased to our members we are unable to cancel the account until it has been received in the office, which is why we always advise to obtain tracking and insurance.

We would like to look into the account to see what we could about all the charges for you. Could you please provide the account information such as member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Hello, I have a similar experience to Tom from Naples, 2 years ago my mother-in-law had a serious medical issue and we signed her up for Alert1 in order to give us all peace of mind. It worked wonderful for 2 years so we have no complaints about the actual service other than the device itself is a little ugly and cumbersome for a trendy hip senior citizen.

It's now 2 years later and she no longer needs the service so she decided to cancel the service when her contract expired. Again no problem until she got a bill from Alert 1 explaining that the device she returned was damaged and they were going to charge her $500 to replace it. They are claiming that one of the "teeth" are missing. I will tell you that the device was in 100% working condition when she returned it. In fact the device itself is only 3 months old because she needed to replace it a few months ago.

She had purchased the insurance when she signed up so there was no charge to replace the device. However, she has no way of knowing if she received a brand new device or a "refurbished" one. And she was told that the insurance only covers one replacement even though she had the service for 2 years. So now they are charging $500 for a damaged device, that honestly she had stopped using because she no longer needed it and that she knows WORKED perfectly when she returned it.

Now both my mother-in-law and my husband (because he helped her sign up) have received numerous threatening phone calls demanding the payment and have threatened to send the bill to collections. I think the big problem is that Alert 1 is losing a lot of subscriptions because of the new Apple watch and they are trying to make it up by charging for "damaged" returns.

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We would like to take a look further into the account for your mother-in-law. Could you please provide the Member information such as name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

My wife has a serious heart condition and entered into a contract for a device that would monitor her and summon emergency assistance should the need arise. The contract required an annual monitoring fee and no equipment fee. After using the service for approximately 18 months, we determined that an Apple watch had superior technology through its SOS feature and its fall detection feature for a cost equivalent of one annual monitoring fee. And of course the watch has many addition features.

So we cancelled the monitoring contract forfeiting part of the fee and returned the monitor to the Company in accordance with its instructions. Shortly thereafter they Charged our American Express Card approximately $560 for equipment damage. The device worked perfectly when we shipped it so we challenged them. They asserted that there were scratches on the device a paint spot and sent us a photo. The scratches were not visible on the photo and the paint spot was the size of a pencil point, certainly consistent with normal wear and tear from 18 months usage. To add insult to injury, we disputed the charge with American Express to no avail and Alert1 added $20 to our account for having to respond to American Express and threatened to put us in collection. Rather than put up with the harassment, we paid the $20. Unfortunately we have no practical recourse.

Hello Tom,

We are sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience with Alert1. We would like to look into the account further for you. Could you please provide the Member's name and/or phone number so that we can pull up the information?

Alert1

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I tried to change service for my parents who have gone into assisted living and no longer need Mobile Alert which was almost 900.00 a year. They refused to credit the amount towards a different system or to cancel the service so basically stole 900.00. Will never recommend them to anyone.

Hello Dee Dee,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. I am sorry that you were unable to switch devices for your parents. So that I am able to look into this for you, could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I had used the system for about five years when one of my insurance companies advised that they would provide one similar (not Alert 1) free of charge. Naturally I agreed. Originally when I discussed payment plans with Alert 1 I was told there was monthly, quarterly and yearly amounts, and that I would save $80-90 if I paid yearly, so that is what I decided to do. I also signed up for automatic payment with a charge to my credit card. Unfortunately, the payment was made on June 13th, and when I called to cancel on Aug. 27th I was told that there would be NO REFUND! This surprises me and upsets me. These systems are usually used by the elderly, who don't have much income aside from Social Security. Surely something should be done to make this company issue a refund for unused time.

Hello Marcia,

Thank you for taking the time to send us this review. We would like to look into this further for you, could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My mother recently passed away and since Alert1 was no longer needed, I wanted to cancel it. Not only was there no refund for 5 months that were still remaining; we now have to pay a significant shipping fee in order to insure and track return of the equipment. They also asked for a copy of the death certificate. Of all the companies I've dealt with since my mother passed away, NO ONE else has required a death certificate and most of those companies are providing prorated refunds and postage for the return of the equipment. I see a number of other people have experienced the same treatment by this company. I would not recommend Alert1. They market themselves as caring for the elderly... but in my experience they really only care about their pocketbooks.

Hello Sue,

We are very sorry to hear of you and your families loss! We would like to look into the account further for you as we do not require a death certificate to cancel out an account. As we are a pre-paid company we are able to cancel an account once all the leased equipment is back in the main office. If you could please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number so that we are able to look into this.

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

My father passed away on July 7th and I notified Alert1 around July 9th or 10th of his passing and received instructions on how to deactivate the unit and where to ship it. The operator mentioned that if it was not returned I would be responsible for $1000 charge. Since my dad had just passed away I was busy planning funeral services and picking family up from the airport so I didn't ship the package back until the 19th. I paid $55 to have it insured and verified delivery as I wanted to make sure I didn't get charged the $1000 for non-return as I had a bad feeling. Unbeknownst to me, my dad's 90 day plan was set to renew on July 19th so his credit card was billed for $102.84. When I saw the charge I figured it was a clerical error and called Alert1 to have it reversed since the person the contract was with was no longer living and I had notified them of this prior to the renewal. They told me that there was nothing they could do.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and after a long hold was told there was no supervisor available and that one would call me within 24 hours. 2 days later I did receive a call back and was told that a refund was against their policy and nothing could be done. REALLY?? Wow! This is unbelievable. Most of their customers are probably nearing the end of their lives so I assume they make a routine of ripping people off this way. You can be sure that I will tell EVERYONE I know or come in contact with to NEVER use Alert1. Had they refunded this without a problem as they should have I would have gladly recommended them to everyone. even though my dad never fell and had to really use their service. They had still seemed like a decent company until this.

Hello Valerie,

We are very sorry to hear of you and your families loss! Due to us providing leased equipment we are unable to cancel out an account or stop any recurring billing until we have received the device in the office. We are sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience with us and would like to look into this further for you. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

My father a veteran passed away 2 weeks after the renewal date. Had been in the hospital for 4+ weeks. When we called we were told there was no prorated. That the entire next year ($467) needed to be paid. Even asked for a copy of death certificate to “deal with the estate”. Very uncaring and seems like yet another ploy to take from seniors who may not be able to fully understand. I am truly disgusted and would not recommend to ANYONE.

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for sending us your review. We are very sorry to hear of you and your families loss. Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number so that we are able to look into this further for you?

Alert1

Original review: July 16, 2019

I called to get this for my mother after a fall. They sent a product that did not work in the rural area that she lives. She called and they had her go outside and walk all around (with her broken foot and shoulder). It never worked. We sent it back. They have harassed her, continued to charge her, threatened her, even keep trying to send another one. Should not have offered to us if it did not work in that area. Calling attorney today to stop harassment of my 77 year old mother.

Hello Faye,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry that mom has not had a pleasant experience with Alert1 and would like to look into this further. Could you please provide the account information such as the member's name and/or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: July 15, 2019

Alert1 informed my 89 year old mother that because she was on an automatic renewal for a year that even if she cancelled and shipped back the equipment she would owe her balance. We found a device the same as she had with Alert1 for 150.00 less, so we called to cancel Alert1. That's when we were told she would still owe the billing of 722.00, even if we return the device. We asked what if she had passed away and we returned the device. They said she would still owe the balance and that we would receive a credit toward another device or we could donate to their program. No refund. I thought this was a no contract deal. Why would you pay for equipment you don't even have in your possession anymore? Absolutely ridiculous!

Hello Brenda,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. While you are correct that we are a non-contract company, we are a pre-paid service. We would like to look into this further for you and mom. Could you please provide the account information such as the members name and/or phone number?

Alert1 Company Information