Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Medical Alert Systems

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Founded in 1992, Alert1 is committed to helping seniors live safely and independently in their own homes. Medical alert systems are our only business, and Alert1 works hard every day to earn the trust and satisfaction of our customers. Alert1 offers flexible service plans, friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Alert1 is accredited with the Better Business Bureau. Two fully certified and duplicated emergency call centers provide the unmatched reliability, protecting Alert1 customers even if one center shuts down due to a man-made or natural disaster.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Alert1 Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2018

My mom, Freda **, accidentally activated her emergency button. She received a live operator contact and she explained the mishap. The operator was very courteous and professional. Well done all around. You provide a first-rate service. I rest better knowing that my 96-year-old mother has access to immediate help if she needs it.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Thank you so much for being there for my Mom when I can't be. She had bruises and bleeding but she is recovering very well. I don't know how I would've been notified if it hadn't been for the alert service.

Original review: May 16, 2018

After explaining to your crew that Mother (Eleanor **) cannot speak very well (Parkinson's) and to call me anytime she pushes her button... THEY DID NOT CALL ME until well after they contacted the paramedics. She will probably fall again next week. Will they call me? First? I am just 30 seconds away and very capable in calling for help if it is needed.

Resolution response: May 18, 2018

After very many phone calls and a negative review, the company finally refunded all but one month of monitoring fees.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I was told by a representative of this company that I was eligible for a full refund as long as the equipment was received by May 12. The company received the equipment on May 10. I was then told that the representative gave me the wrong information and no refund would be forthcoming. I spoke to a supervisor and got no satisfaction. The supervisor admitted that the employee had given me the wrong information, but still refused to grant a refund. I am extremely dissatisfied with how this was handled!

Noreen,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look further into this to help come to a resolution. What is the member name or phone number associated with this account?

Original review: May 11, 2018

My mother is no longer with us and I tried to cancel the subscription. However, I was informed that I was past the due date to cancel by 30 days and they would not reduce the charge. I had to return the equipment at my expense or they would charge me some astronomical amount for equipment that was 6 or 7 years old. When I told the customer service person that the equipment was part of the charge she told me that it was not. No business runs on not charging for the equipment, that is just plain common sense. I returned the equipment, they canceled my account but I was stuck paying over $300 for something we got nothing of use. I might have as well burned the money. My recommendation is not to use the company and most certainly not use automatic billing as they definitely take advantage of you in a time of sorrow.

Frank,

Alert1

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alert1 Medical Alerts?

Original review: May 3, 2018

Returned equipment when my Grandmother was admitted into a nursing home. A year later they tried to bill my credit card so I called them. Alert1 stated they never received the equipment back, and unfortunately by my own mistake, I didn't keep the tracking receipt, so it became a "he said, she said" scenario. They couldn't prove they never received the equipment, and I couldn't prove that I sent it. They tried to charge me $500.00 for "lost equipment". I refused to pay that. We agreed I would pay $250.00. I paid that.

Another year rolls around, and yep, you guessed, it I get notice of renewal and a lady calls me to say "We've been trying to test your Grandmother's system, and it will not respond and her line is disconnected". Well, no crap. She's dead. So again, Alert1 states "well we never got the equipment back". I almost exploded. It took me calling back in a second time to speak with someone with a working brain cell to look up the account history and find that yes, the account was supposed to be closed. HORRIBLE experience. I recommend going with ADT.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Would NOT recommend this company, simply because of their requests that the monitoring box (which is several years old) and pendant be returned in order to cancel service, or they will charge $600. These units are ordered by family members to offer security and protection to loved ones who may live far away. In the event of an elderly person's passing, or move to acute care, forcing a family member to find a way to retrieve a box or risk an exorbitant equipment fee is in poor taste.

Hello Shirine,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had less than a stellar experience with us. We would like to look further into your account to come to a resolution. Could you please provide additional details, such as, Member name or telephone number.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Original review: May 2, 2018

My mother fell and she pushed the button. Paramedics came. The previous button she wore seemed to dial and get through to you all quicker. It seems as if it takes a considerable amount of time for anyone to answer now with the replacement.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am John’s daughter whom he lives with, and was out of town when the incident occurred. I was called at 12:30am. Since it was an unfamiliar number when I awoke, I went back to sleep. Suggestion: have an assigned number so I know who it is.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My mother Norma ** fell and she pushed the button. Right away someone came on and asked if she was ok. They contacted emergency and an ambulance came. All 3 contacts were alerted about her fall. I really appreciate how quickly everyone was alerted. Thank you for all you do.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Couldn't get the box to work; told different stories by customer service; now telling me no refund of 119.00. I'm am so unhappy and disgusted. Asked for a supervisor to talk to and told no one is available.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My experience was all I expected. The operator was very helpful & calm, which kept me calm, the first responders were here fast & took charge. Everyone was great, it’s a good feeling to know that it all worked like it was supposed to. Thank you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This is the second time this is happened. The code was changed on the lockbox that allow paramedics to enter the house. The lockbox is located outside the front door which we bought from your company. We changed it I think almost a year ago and your company has still not changed it. The first time the fireman had to cut the screen door A few months ago and Sat Feb 31 the second time they had to go through a window. This is because you still have not change the code and keep giving them the wrong one. When my daughter called they said that the code that was changed was only for 30 days which makes no sense at all. We did not request it for 30 days it was to be permanent.

We had the same problem with changing one of the people on the call list. We told you to take them off the list and we had to call like many many times until it was done – this code needs to be changed and it’s not good enough to say you’ll reimburse us for damage because that’s a big hassle to have to find people to fix something which could be avoided if you would just have competent people working for your company… Seriously there is a big lack of communication if changes need to be made. Like I said this happened with changing people on the list. It went on and on forever but now this code thing is dangerous and ridiculous. We seriously are thinking of changing companies when the time is up to renew. You can call me at **. The old code was ** and the new code is ** and we still don’t think it has been changed. We would really appreciate if somebody could call us on this.

Hello Elizabeth,
    We are sorry to hear you had this experience. To look into your account, can you provide more details, such as phone number or account number that is linked to the account?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Alert1 is a lifesaver. I would not be able to stay in my home without it. I have sitters during the week but the weekends my family try to help. I know they cannot always be there. Alert1 is quick to answer my call for help with either calling the rescue squad or my daughter Frances. Thank you!

Resolution response: March 30, 2018

I called back and was able to talk to a manager who was very helpful. She had been investigating the numerous call logs and stated that she was going to refund the charges to my bank account and remove my debit card information from the account as well. It appears that the account holder was unwilling to provide an alternate payment account and mine was the only one in their system. They stated they have not yet received the return equipment, thus the additional charges. I am willing to accept that she will indeed refund me and remove my information from their system. I'm increasing my rating to 3 stars due to the difficulty in getting this issue resolved and the issues in the past with their billing practices.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased a full year of service for an acquaintance in need last year as a charity. I did not like the idea of them having to set up an automatic payment system on my bank account as I had no intention of paying for another year of service. At the time, I was advised to simply call back before the end of the contract to have my credit card information removed from the account. As a reminder, I set up an alert in my calendar with all of their information to call and cancel within a month of the end-of-service. I called last month and was assured that my credit card would not be charged any more for this account and that they would be contacting the account holder for payment options. He called them to cancel the service as well.

Yesterday Alert1 charged my bank account $200 - which was not going to leave enough money for other pending transactions - so I made a deposit to cover the overage and Alert1 took an additional $100 as soon as the deposit cleared. I reached out to them today and was advised that my account would be charged until they received the equipment returned from the account holder and there would be no refunds until that time. After requesting to speak to a supervisor and being placed on hold for approximately 25 minutes, I was advised that the supervisor would allow some of the money except a monthly charge to be returned. I asked once again to be able to actually speak to the supervisor and was placed on hold again.

The original customer service rep returned and stated that the manager was looking over the account and would it be OK to call me back. I advised that I had limited time due to banks closing early today and that I intended to issue a stop payment and cancel the debit card so that they would no longer have access to my bank account - which is a tremendous hassle due to the amount of online transactions I have linked to this particular account. I have yet to receive the return call and am now having to leave to make it to the bank before closing. On top of all of this... When I first paid for the full year in advance last March, they began taking an additional monthly charge out of my bank account the following month, which I had to jump through all kind of hoops to get refunded at that time. This company is bordering on credit card FRAUD in their practices. BEWARE!!

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not have a pleasant experience. Can you provide more details for your account, so we can look into this matter, such as Member name or phone number?

Alert1

Original review: March 26, 2018

My grandmother in PA fell and broke her hip. Alert1 called my sister and I, who live in different states, and filled us in on what had happened and my grandmother's condition. My aunt, who was with my grandmother, didn't need to worry about contacting us as she was dealing with an emergency. I'm very impressed with Alert1's professionalism and level of service.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Your service provided for Mary last week was excellent. I am so happy for your services. The ambulance was prompt, and the MTs were so helpful. Thank you for your services. I have recommended your company to many of my friends who have loved ones living alone.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The medics came by about 10 minutes after we called. I was admitted to hospital for hypoxia and Influenza B. The medics were good and it's nice to know that help is only a push of a button. Thanks for your help in everything.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was in need of medical attention a week ago and wanted to let you know that you came through and helped me with my emergency services. I pushed the button, never spoke to anyone (was unable to move) and within 15 minutes emergency services arrived to help me out. Thanks to you, I'm back in business! Thank you! I appreciate what you do!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

First time using Alert 1 device after purchase. When emergency button was pushed a staff member, was very kind and helpful - contacted friends as well as ambulance... The response was very fast. The staff members seemed to be well trained and very kind and helpful. Alert button gave a great peace of mind... With a very wonderful experience... Thank You again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Help request on 2-14-2018. Help came quickly. I only needed an assist to get up as no injury was incurred. all my contacts were called and the last one was able to come and confirm my status. Due to my daughter getting a voicemail from you she came home quickly and the firemen for the assist were still there.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

On the phone as soon as the button was pushed! Then, they called my phone tree right away so my family met the aid car and me just before we left for the hospital. Having Alert1 makes my family feel more secure knowing I have access to help all the time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

T&C needs to be revamped. Horrible. Alert 1 Customer Service (Care): I am cancelling our plan effective today. I understand that after speaking with the customer service and the supervisor on staff – they explained that with the 1-yr prepaid, the subscription AUTOMATICALLY renews after 1 year. Cancellation notice by me was to have been received by 2/1/18. (30 day notice). So, in other words, we have to ‘eat’ the next year’s subscription amount of $515. 2018-2019. What hoops have to be gone through now – to cancel!

ONLY when the unit and items accompanying the main product (main unit, necklace & wristband) are returned that and that I’ve CONFIRMED with Alert 1 has indeed received the product back – that is considered my ‘cancellation’. I was instructed to ‘turn off the device’ and those instructions were given on how to do so. I was also given the return cancellation address for which to mail the device/unit and by sending with a tracking number will also confirm my ‘cancellation’.

I’m VERY unhappy with this service as they never sent a T&C (Terms & Conditions) for the product. Our T&C was when we ‘accepted’ the unit. Although they offered to do a paper billing – that would not be necessary since we paid 1 year subscription UP FRONT and one time charge. NO notice of the auto-billing or auto-renewing of the subscription was given – either by phone or by any other means of communication 30 days PRIOR to the ‘anniversary date’. JUST AUTOMATIC. This is an inefficient way of dealing with your ‘elderly’ or otherwise mentally capable customers. This is a very shrewd company in how you use a very stringent set of conditions to even CANCEL a subscription is almost beyond escapable. Shame on you. Business to be had at the cost of preying on the weak, feeble, or otherwise elderly. You will never get a glowing reference as a business, by me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Very dissatisfied with the automatically renewal without warning or notification of the renewal. Can not cancel and receive refund for future 10 months of unneeded service that is paid in advance. Tough situation to put a senior in that is on a limited budget!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Alert1 doesn't give you a pre-advice when the rollover date is coming up. They just charge your credit card and if you don't review your card every month due to no paper invoice being sent to you, you could miss the 30 day cut off that Alert1 gives you. Furthermore, they will not prorate the year after being charged regardless of the circumstances such as death, 24 care, etc. Alert1 also charges more than the quote they provide on the phone as well. I also had an issue with them telling me the unit that worked off cell phone towers would be work for where my mother lived and it did not. Unfortunately they have 30 day on this return as well which is short time when trying to coordinate this for someone who lives in a different state. Again, how about at least prorating it, especially after telling me it would work and it didn't! Stay away from Alert1 due to bad business practices!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I signed up and paid in advance for 1 year medical monitoring with the fall detection ability after being left disabled from a freak accident. This began January 2017. The monitoring service was great but lots of false alarms. Monitoring folks friendly and courteous when following up. In March 2017, my home was struck by lightning rendering it uninhabitable until completely rewired and repaired. My husband and I moved to our church parsonage partially during the 3 1/2 month time period to repair our home.

During the last month of this time, the Alert1 pendant was lost and has not been found, therefore not used. We moved back to our home July 2017 and my recovery completed allowing the use of the device to cease. I was contacted by Chase ** from Alert1 on 1/5/18 advising that my renewal fee would be due in 30 days. I contacted the company on the next business day, 1/8/18 and advised to cancel the service and that the equipment was lost. They advised me to return the equipment which I again reported lost.

They advised the cost of the lost equipment was $595.00 to which I advised them that I was more than willing to pay a reasonable amount for the lost equipment and to please have someone who can authorize this return my call. This conversation has been repeated now on 5 separate dates with today being the most recent. I have been told that they will continue to bill me for the service until the equipment is returned. I advised them that I had canceled the service on 1/8/18 and would not pay any further monitoring fees. Once again, will pay reasonable lost equipment charge. Same rote response from caller.

Alert1 is apparently unable to understand the word, "Lost" but keeps harassing for the return of equipment. I would be happy to reimburse them $100.00 for the equipment, a pendant and charge base, and close this matter if there is anyone there that can understand this. I do not recommend this company for providing medical monitoring service and give it 1 star as 0 stars is not an option.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I tried to purchase an emergency alert device for my 82-year-old mom on Jan. 29, 2018 through the telephone to Alert1. Before I called Alert1 I have been asking quotes several similar companies so that I have some rough ideas what program I was purchasing. During the phone conversation with the Alert1, the sales told me that monthly fee $30.95, no equipment fee, no activation fee. I asked whether there is any hidden charge, she said no. However, I must prepay 3 months service. I paid the bill by using my credit card on the phone, but after I received the email receipt, I noticed that I got charged $112.85 with four items listed as 1 of Mobile Medical Alert-Quarterly, 1 of Alert 1 Advantage Plan (Quarterly), 1 of Alert 1 Advantage plan- Free Month (Quarterly), and 1 of One Time Activation Fee. Nothing else was written to clarify them.

I called Alert1 on the second day (Jan. 30, 2018) and asked why I was charged an activation fee. The agent insisted that the extra $20 was the warranty fee, which covers the insurance of damage equipment. When I questioned why it was not mentioned in the previous telephone conversation and the email bill listed in a very confusing way without a price breakdown on each item. I request the email bill should be clarified with itemized prices, which were not shown at all. The agent told me that she would transfer me to her manager to discuss further. However, she put me on hold and listened to the unpleasant loud music without any connection to a person. I had to hang up and called back to their customer service.

The second time I called back, I did talk to the manager Miss **, when I asked her to email me the itemized bill for what I was charged yesterday, she emailed me something like a bill listing $4,904. Again Miss ** made me listen to their waiting music without any intentions to explain to me. At that time I thought I was charged with $4,904 and almost got a heart attack. I had to call back the third time, the third agent is more polite and compassionate. However, I am still not quite convinced that the bill was proper since Miss ** never reply my email request. “What you sent me is very confusing. I only need the breakdown of the bill for the first 3 months, which was what I have paid yesterday. I do not need all the rest.”

Being a 50-year-old working woman, I could not figure out the bill they sent me. I cannot imagine how my 82-year-old mother and other senior people can understand their bills. Not to mention that I have such a difficulty talking to three of their staffs, in the case of emergency, my mom may not be able to explain herself well. Will the proper help come?

Updated on 05/31/2018: If not it is not allowed zero star, I would have had rated 0 for Alert1. They keep billing me a 3 month service (May-July) on the device that I have sent back through UPS on April 28, 2018. On April 26, I emailed Alert1 representative Chase ** to confirm that I did not plan to continue using their service for my 82 year-old mom. On Friday, April 27, Ms ** emailed me the return address. Because I was at work, I could not pack the device and send until the next day. On Saturday, April 28, I turned off their device, packed well, and used USP ground shipping ($15.99) to send their device. Afterward, I emailed Ms. ** the UPS record and tracking number **. According to the UPS tracking record, the Alert1 has received the package on May 7, 2018. However, Alert1 charged me $122.85 on May 4, 2018 for the next 3-month service.

On May 15 and 16, I sent two emails to Ms. ** and Alert1’s member care service to dispute the charge. However, no one responded to my emails. With no resolution, I have to contact my credit card company to dispute the bill on May 19, 2018. However, today (5/31/2018) I received another email invoice from Alert1 saying that I am billed with $122.85. When I called Alert1 to ask why their company keeps billing me with a service that my mom has not used and a device that we have sent back since April 28, 2018, the customer service representative said because they asked the device to be sent back by May 3, 2018. I mentioned to the representative that the service ended in the end of April, the company needs to give customers time to ship the device.

A UPS 2-day shipment would have cost me $44 from Fresno, CA to Williamsport, Pennsylvania, which costs more than one month of Alert1 service. It is unreasonable to charge us $122.85 three-month fee. Then the representative said that I should pay at least one month charge. I told the representative, it is very unreasonable for me to pay something we have sent back and not used. I told the representative that the most I am willing to pay is the 7-day service while the device was “in transit.” However, we did not reach an agreement.

I am so fed up with Alert1 since the beginning of the service. (I filed a complaint on the Consumer Affairs about their unclear invoice and rude customer service on January 30, 2018.) I really think this company scamming on the elder people. It completely defeats the purpose that I do not need to worry about my 82 year-old mother while I am at work. It has taken me way too much time and energy to deal with Alert1. I cannot imagine how older people could deal with this unreasonable company.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I chose Alert1 for my aging mother because a friend had a positive experience, however, it is a disaster and I advise choosing any company over Alert1. We prepaid a year of service in advance for the mobile system with GPS for my mom. The teeth on belt clip and device are very flimsy make it difficult to attach the device, especially for an older person. My mom had to order additional belt clips a few times during the year (and willingly paid for them) and of course the device cannot be used during the time a new clip is being shipped.

Toward the end of the year, the teeth on the back of the device broke. This is inevitable with continued use. When I called about replacing the device, I was told that because we hadn't purchased the warranty, there would be a charge of over $500 to replace the device. No one can convince me that this flimsy back is worth $500.

I decided to cancel service and go with another company (one that will send a new device if anything happens). I shipped the device back to Alert1 with a letter that they were not authorized to charge my mom's credit card. My mom learned yesterday that her credit card was charged more than $500. In a phone call they told me the charge was because the device was damaged.

This is a huge ripoff, as there is no way to repeatedly charge Alert1's device without removing the belt clip, but the teeth on the clip and device are so flimsy that breakage over time is unavoidable. The plastic back can be replaced with a few screws. This is definitely not a $500 piece. Shame on you, Alert1, for ripping off the elderly. I'll be contacting the BBB, my state attorney general, my attorney, my mom's credit card company and won't stop until this unwarranted and outrageous charge is refunded.

Hello Denise,

I am sorry you did not have a great experience with Alert1. Can you please provide more details for the account, so we can further look into this issue? The Member's full name, phone number, or account number will be great.

Alert1

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I had Alert1 service for my mother for approximately 6 years. I paid once a year by credit card. Last August my mom fell but was able to push the button for help. After that incident I upgraded to the motion detection system... That move changed the contract period from May to August at an additional monthly cost. Mom passed away with 8 months left on the contract AND ALERT1 WILL NOT REIMBURSE ME. At no time did they tell me to pay quarterly. This is wrong and Alert1 is a ripoff. No way would I EVER recommend them to anyone. Taking advantage of people is no way to do business.

Updated on 02/02/2018: Since my original review I heard from Alert1 and I did receive a credit which I am grateful for. However, after reading some of the other reviews here including my own, I have to ask Alert1 why they must be publicly shamed into doing the right thing. Each of us here tried to get satisfaction when we called Alert1. In my case I just lost my mom and had prepaid for 12 months. I was told I could not receive credit unless a friend or relative had service and they would receive the benefit of my loss. What if I didn't reach out to Consumer Affairs? What about those who don't know enough to do so? I am sure that 99% of cancellations are due to the death of the client. I am sure Alert1 is banking on the fact that the majority will not fight back. Maybe Alert1 should rethink its way of treating people when they are most vulnerable.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My husband has an Alert1. Several times in the night a voice comes on to say the device needs to be charged. It was already plugged in and supposedly being charged. I moved it to a different outlet, it still wouldn't charge. He called in the morning and was told that the device was working even though there were not lights and it kept saying it needed charging. So how is he to know if it is really working without lights to indicate it and all it is that it needs to be charged. The lady on the phone would not help because she said it indicates it is fine. My husband said he wanted to cancel because he had this happen a couple of times and she said he could but would not be refunded for the rest of the contract. If he had a life and death situation come up, how would he know it was working??? So I don't trust the company to live up to their contract.

Carl,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We are sorry your experience is not excellent. So we can help resolve your issue, can you please provide additional information on the account, such as ME#, name, or telephone number.

Thanks we look forward from hearing back from you!

Alert1 Company Information