2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

4.4/5 (76 ratings)

About Just Energy

Just Energy specializes in electricity and natural gas solutions, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. It currently serves 20 markets across North America, including 11 U.S. states and six Canadian provinces. It offers green energy solutions for residential buildings and businesses and a variety of plans with different rates and contract lengths.

Pros

• Flexibility for commercial consumers
  • Personalized plans
  • Offers energy-saving solutions

Cons

• Only available in 11 states

Bottom Line

Just Energy offers long-term contracts for homes and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their energy bills. The company’s services are only available in 11 states, however.

Top Just Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

A friend uses Just Energy. I just called them and they got everything set up over the phone. Signing was a simple, smooth process. They also asked questions to make sure that it w...

Verified

When I first got the service, I spoke to someone and everything went well with them. The process didn’t take too long. It took 10 minutes at most just to get everything through an...

What is Just Energy?

Just Energy is an electric and natural gas provider that serves residential and commercial customers. The company specializes in energy efficiency solutions.

Just Energy has a limited service area — in the U.S., it offers services in:

• New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas

In Canada, the company serves customers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

If you live in one of these areas, there are many benefits to using Just Energy for your gas and electricity needs.

Just Energy plans

Just Energy offers multiple plans with varying contract lengths and price points to help customize a solution for any customer.

• Secured-rate supply plans charge the same price per kilowatt hour or therm each month for the entire length of your contract. However, the monthly bill fluctuates based on how much gas or electricity you use. This plan is good for customers interested in protecting their price per kilowatt-hour or therm from changing, even when the price of the commodity changes in the energy market.
  • Variable-rate supply plans are flexible because you are not locked into a monthly payment. With this plan, the amount you pay for your electricity or natural gas is based on the current market prices for gas and electricity in your area.
  • Prepaid supply plans are similar to prepaid cell phone plans. You can purchase your gas and electric supply upfront without a deposit or contract. This is a good option for those with no credit or low credit or who are temporary residents. There are no long-term contracts.
  • Predict-a-bill plans let customers pay a fixed amount for energy each month based on average use. This budget-friendly plan keeps the monthly rate the same regardless of consumption.

The company also has more specific plans that customers can choose based on their budgets and energy consumption levels. Plans vary by location, but some of the most popular plans include:

• Base Saver III plan: This is a budget-friendly plan with a fixed electricity rate as low as 7.6 cents per kWh when you use an average of 1000 kWh of power.
  • Just 400 Plus plan: This plan gives customers a $200 credit on their winter bills when energy consumption is the highest.
  • Just Energy Purely Green 24 plan: A 24-month plan that provides power from 100% renewable energy sources. It offers a fixed rate for the entire length of the contract.
  • Simple Rate plan: A 36-month plan that provides a fixed rate. This is ideal for those who want a long-term contract without any surprises or rate hikes.

Just Energy rates

The price of electricity is constantly changing, and rates vary depending on your geographical location. At the time of publishing, Hawaii is the most expensive market in the country for electricity at 34 centers per kWh and Washington state is the least expensive at 9.35 cents.

California, Massachusetts and New York rank as some of the most expensive places for electricity, which is why many people in these states turn to companies like Just Energy to help them cut costs.

For example, In Texas, Just Energy plans typically run anywhere from 10.4 cents per kWh to 12.3 cents per kWh at the time of publishing. To determine how much Just Energy can save you on your gas and electric bill, speak with a Just Energy representative for prices in your area.

There is no penalty if you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing, but canceling after that costs $50. There is also a one-time penalty (not to exceed 5%) on a delinquent bill for electric service. Other fees to consider include:

• Manual payment fee: A charge assessed on certain products when a payment is made through a method other than JE-Aut0-Pay.
  • Disconnection fee: A fee assessed if your service is disconnected.
  • Exit fee: A fee assessed if your contract is ended early due to you breaching the contract.
  • Insufficient funds charge: A fee assessed for returned payments.
  • JustGreen charge: A fee for the level of JustGreen you select when signing up with Just Energy.

Just Energy FAQ

What does Just Energy do?
Just Energy offers natural gas and/or electricity to residential and commercial customers.
Does Just Energy have a cancellation fee?
Yes. If you cancel after the 30-day introductory period, the company charges a $50 exit fee.
Is Just Energy a good company?
Just Energy only serves a handful of states in the country, but it offers a wide selection of options to help homes and businesses maximize the way they use gas and electricity. It provides many of the same services and plans as its competitors.
How many customers does Just Energy have?
Around 1.8 million people use Just Energy in their homes and businesses.

Is Just Energy worth it?

Just Energy provides energy-efficient home and business options like lighting control, energy management, smart building controls and HVAC controls and is a good choice for people looking for smart technology options to help them lower their energy costs. The company is in a limited number of U.S. states, but residents in those areas should check out Just Energy’s options.

Just Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: May 27, 2021

Just Energy's representatives and service have been good. However, I've had several occasions, especially in 2020 where I paid my bill and it wouldn't take the complete payment. Last year I got into it with one of the representatives because he wouldn't allow me to make the payment, yet I'm authorized on this account. It turned into a mess. I don't know what happened last year. But I'll make the payment, because it talks about on the master account.

I did everything over the phone. I went there one time, just an example, it was $9.80. But that wasn't the master bill. The master bill was $67. So then I said, “Okay, no problem. I'll pay the 67.” So I would type in, it would say, “You wanna pay a different amount.” I would type in $67, it would not take my payment because it would say I was paying too much. When I went to the other bill to pay, it would give me another number. I would pay that amount. And then the first bill that I chose that I would pay $9.80 would show as if I haven't paid the complete bill. I said, “Well, what happened?” They said, “Well, what happens is, since you paid the first bill, it took part for the first bill and part for the second bill.”

I got three accounts right now with Just Energy. “So instead, it took a part of your payment, and it gave it to this other bill.” I said, “Yeah, but I just called to pay that one.” Let’s say it deducted $4, so the payment went down $4. So the $9.80 I paid, only took $5. It was confusing. The good thing is that I had my confirmation number. I had everything. And he was sitting there, arguing me. I said, “Wait a minute, I got everything right here.” So they wind up having to credit my account back for late fees and disconnection notice. But like I told them, it's frustrating. And then they told me, “Well, no. Go on to the internet.” I said, “I've already tried to get all three accounts linked.” It won't allow me to link one of the accounts because it said that either my account is not existing, or that I have too many accounts.

The rep wasn't understanding me correctly. Because at the end when I finally told him that, “How do I have a confirmation number for this amount, but you’re giving me a different amount? We get a confirmation number in case something happens. You look it up, you say, ‘Okay –‘” that's when they figured out that they were taking a portion of the master bill and applying it to the second bill. So then, it was showing that I didn't pay the full amount. Once they figured that out, everything got squared away as far as them taking off late payments. I said, “You got to give me a break. Go back as far as you want and tell me when do I not pay the full amount?” Which is another thing that I've had to tell them, “Look at the history. When do I not pay the full amount?” Sometimes people, “Hey, I only got so much. I'll make a partial payment.” I go, “Look back and tell me when I've called for that. It's been years that I’ve had to do that.”

I gave up on the website. After I tried 30 times, I gave up. I said “The hell with his. I'll just go back to paying by the phone.” It was too much hassle. So I now get my bill through email. And I made sure that whatever amount is on the emailed bill is what I'm going to pay. And if I'm not able to, then I would just stay on the phone and a representative answers, and we would get it taken care of.

Hi Robert,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us.Thanks.

Corporate Consumer Relations

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Just Energy is a good company and a good service. The bill is pretty low, which is what I have been looking for. I'll stay with them for a long time. Two months ago, I was trying to get ahold of Just Energy. The guy I talked to was pretty cool and he knew what he was doing. He got my product fixed really quickly. My wife and I are happy. I'd tell my friends to go for it. They attend to you real good. They go and connect your light really quickly. Other companies make you wait for three days until they get to you. But with Just Energy, I applied with them and from one day to another, I had my light on. That was a surprise.

Hello Jason,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We were with Ambit and we were looking for a green change. I found Just Energy and it seemed to be as good as I can get. When I first signed up for it, they were very helpful and provided the information that we needed. The bottom line for us is price and the graphs that show the usage is very interesting. They send that out every week and I like that. Their billing is clear and timely too. The experience has been what we've asked for and it's been good. Though I suspect that the prices are going to go up and up, that's everybody and that's not just Just Energy. We would like to be totally solar but that's not an option right at the moment. We’d pay a premium for that with Just Energy.

Just Energy response

Hello Roslyn, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

My rate is lower than the rate that I had with Ambit. With Ambit, I was paying 13 cents with everything calculated. With Just Energy, it's 12.3. I'm trying to keep comparing during the winter months to see where my bill is and it's always much lower. But my bill was not as low as I thought it would have been this last past month. With Ambit, I was running my AC all day. With Just Energy, I started only putting my AC on at night. But I am trying to take into consideration that my boys are always on their computer, and they have one in each room. As far as the customer service, I have not had any problems. They explained the billing facts to me very well, which I already understood how to compare, but they still explained it very well. Just Energy does have some good rates.

Just Energy response

Hello Shannon, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

The other service was expiring and I went online to see if I could find something more competitive. I talked to some rep that kinda helped me look through the several plans. We came to the conclusion that for what we were wanting to do, this particular plan looked like it would be a good fit. The lady helped me sign up or do whatever we needed to do at the time to get connected to Just Energy.

We've been on Just Energy's service for three or four months and everything's been fine at this point. My service didn't have anything interrupted but my costs so far have been lower than the previous company. It's a flat rate plan and Just Energy doesn't have as many add-on charges that we seem to have with the other company. It's a little bit more straightforward. The only thing that would be better is if it were even cheaper. We signed up for the three-year deal so we'll be around a while. It's hard to know what this energy market's gonna do over the next two or three years with everything else that's going on in the world these days. But we're very satisfied and would recommend Just Energy to anyone we visit with.

Just Energy response

Hello Steve, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relation

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Just Energy's rates were lower. They give reward for Sam's Club and I wanted to know about it, and the customer service was great. I haven't had any problems with them.

Just Energy response

Hello Cynthia, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I go online to my NIPSCO account and pay my bills. As long as I can access my account, it’s easy.

Just Energy response

Hello Carrie, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

The signing up process with Just Energy was easy and their service has been perfect. I haven’t had any issues and I’m satisfied.

Just Energy response

Hello Alejandra, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We noticed a difference in our monthly bill when we went with Just Energy five years ago but now, there are a lot of places that have it cheaper. We had a three-year contract. Then, we did another three-year contract and they had some fee attached to it. I called and said that I didn’t want that on there so they didn’t put it. But it was like they tried to slip one in on you. If I hadn’t called them, they would have left it there.

Just Energy response

Hello Noelia, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: May 13, 2021

The agent that I worked with was very helpful. She gave me a couple offers that she felt was the best offer then let me make the choice based on what she provided me. With Just Energy, we have a lower bill because once I talked to them, they found me a better plan. We're quite happy with Just Energy. It's worked for us.

Hi Patricia,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate Consumer Relations