Call toll free
3.29/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
View More View More

578 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

It should be illegal what they do. The salesman lie and claim their rates are the same as your current gas provider but it’s actually 3 times the normal amount. You are paying 3x to heat your home. It’s a shame these companies exist solely to rip off hardworking people.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

A sales rep knocked on my door and told me that he works for Just Energy and he can lower my bill down to $37. He claims that his company is an affiliate with PG&E. He asked me to sign up to receive an offer from PG&E, which I did. Then I received an email from Just Energy asking me to finalize the process. I looked through the website, the sales rep kept interrupting my reading but I noticed that it wasn't just for the offer but it was the agreement to start service. At which point, I told him that I was in a hurry and would look over it later. He kept pushing, said that it had to be done right away. So I declined. The next morning, I received an email asking me to finalize the process (it looks identical to the email I received the night before). I ignore that email. Then just now, I received a email from Just Energy to welcome me to Just Energy and thanking me to choosing them.

Just Energy response

We regret your experience at the door and take such matters very seriously. Every customer touch point and interaction are important. With high standards, we expect everyone who represents us to do so with absolute professionalism, integrity and honesty.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I live in a 450 square foot apartment. I have a well insulated apartment. I cook once a day. My light bill was 156$ for 795 kW. I live frugal. My neighbor's bills are less than $50 a month. I called to report the bill and cancel services. I could hear reps laughing in the background. The rep was nasty too. When Did you know that Just Energy is the middle man. The original electric company on charged me less than a penny per kw. Just Energy charges 12 cent of more per kW. It's time to go Solar.

Just Energy response

Hello Mr. Magged. We thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with Just Energy and our customer service area. Every customer deserves to be respected and serviced in a welcoming environment. Any behaviors that are not aligned with this will be addressed. We regret to hear that our plans do not meet your needs, but we still value you as a Just Energy customer. Thank you for allowing us to address your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have never heard or had no knowledge of what this company was. WE never spoke to anyone or any representative to accept or hear about this company. Somehow we got enrolled to this company and didn't find out till I got my latest bill that was ridiculously high. I saw third party charges on my bill and for the first time I saw the name Just Energy on my bill. I called the gas company and they said they have nothing to do with this change and to call this company directly to get to the bottom of what happened. I did just that and they said they would launch an investigation to see who authorized the transfer.

I am 100% certain it was not me or my brother who are the only ones authorized to make changes on our account, therefore I am curious to see who they claim to have spoken to and got an authorization from because it wasn't from the account holders who should be the ONLY ones to make such changes. This baffling and quite fraudulent if you ask me. Never heard of this company in my life and I know that I am not the only person with such complaint. I was told the account is cancelled for now but to call back in two weeks to when the investigation is completed to make sure the account is cancelled and that I don't have to pay anything from the bill. I hope this is true and I hope I am switched back to my original gas provider as I never asked to be switched in the first place. So upsetting and violating.

Just Energy response

Hello Nancy. It was pleasure speaking to you today and we appreciate your feedback. We have in place well-defined and communicated protocols designed to help all our Energy Advisor’s abide by the highest standard in sales practices, and we expect that they maintain courtesy and respect at all times.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns. Please let us know.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Just Energy has the cheapest deposit plus they’re always looking to save me money and that’s cool. The people there are courteous too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

A guy from Just Energy signed me up and he was friendly. We talked for about 20 minutes, he signed me up and that was it. My bills are lower right now so it works.

Just Energy response

Hello Dmytro, we’re happy to read your feedback about your service. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the door.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was at Sam's and heard about Just Energy. The reps at the club were very professional and impressed the heck out of me. They weren’t pushy, which in a lot of sales things, they are. I don’t like high-pressure sales. Also, Just Energy's prices are a bit better than my provider, which is ComEd. I like the fact that I get them cheaper because of bulk rates.

The only issue I had with Just Energy was I felt I was a little misled on the gift card promotion when they were doing it at Sam’s. I was under the understanding that I was supposed to get a $50 gift card, but I ended up getting a $20 or $25 one. But I’m not worried about it because when I contacted Just Energy, they said that the $50 was supposed to be for both switching my electric and my natural gas. I must have misunderstood with the lady that I talked to at Sam's. It might have been partially my fault so it's not a big deal.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Raised my rates from 9 cents per kWh to 20 c per kWh. When I contacted them about this, they said that my contract expired and that was the reason for the increase. They said that they tried to contact me. My account was auto pay so I did not open monthly statements from them until I noticed by text that my charges had increased. They never texted me that my rates were going up and the reason for that. My sister is dying of lung cancer so I have been back and forth out of state to help take care of her.

Just Energy response

Hi Sue. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate recent experience. A representative will be reaching out to you soon to see how we can assist your concerns regarding your experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been working with Just Energy for some time now. Before, I had a pre-paid account that was great, told me how much I used every day and saved me a ton of money being able to keep up with it like that. 4 months ago, I had to move for work and Customer support convinced me that I had to close the previous pre-paid account because it wouldn't let me transfer to a new address. Now, I am realizing that this is because they wanted to get rid of the account and not because I was moving. I believe they discontinued the pre-paid accounts because they feel like they weren't making enough money off of them. This is beside the point.

I called in two weeks after because I was unable to log into my new account to see my usage. Customer support told me that there was no new account. So instead of being able to just get my account active and working, they were obligated to "launch an investigation", which they tell me was to see who cancelled the account and whether or not it was something I actually approved. Despite the implication of being called a liar, I decided to stay with them as I really appreciated the service I got with the pre-paid account.

Every week after that I got a call from someone claiming to be from Just Energy DEMANDING payment. They knew exactly how much my bill was for and had no notes on the active case. I just called in today as I received an email stating the investigation was over and that I could go ahead and pay my bill now. Yes, they continued to charge me for electricity while they were running their "investigation". While speaking with an agent named "Bryan", he went through the process of trying to just open a new account on my email address (without my permission) and got the same response I did which was that it couldn't be done because my email address was already attached to the old account.

I asked if they could detach the address because I no longer live there and Bryan said he could not. I asked to escalate the issue and he told me that someone maybe get back to me in a week. When I asked for his credentials and demanded to speak with a supervisor, Bryan continued to talk over me and tell me that he was not going to do that. He wasn't going to let me talk to anyone else and he wasn't going to give me his identifying information. He tried to just ignore me for five minutes so I would assume he hung up and I would hang up myself, but I know they are not allowed to hang up on us so I waited on the line.

5 minutes later, the hold music came back on and I had to restart the process over again. I eventually talked with another agent who tried to get me to pay the bill again before I had to get a little louder when asking for a supervisor. Every time I call Just Energy, they don't want to help, they just ask for me to pay. And my bill isn't even due for another couple of days!

The supervisor I spoke to after that Camila tells me that no one would ever call from Just Energy to demand payment and that I should ignore those calls. I explained that they knew exactly how much my bill was for and that the evidence points to a data leak in the Just Energy network and that I wanted to know how to eliminate all of my information from their system and cancel my account/s. She told me that someone would be getting back to me through email and that they were going to try and improve on the customer service for me. She hastily got off the phone after asking me if there was anything else she could do for me and I responded by saying, "If that's really all you can do then I guess not."

She was supposed to be a supervisor and instead it was just another agent trying to push me off the call without any results. I'm still left here just waiting for an email from some random department that apparently doesn't have a direct phone line. Just Energy has leaked my data to malicious people who called and demanded money from me and then just apologized and told me not to give my info out. Just Energy has consistently given me bad customer service. Just Energy has given me shady service. I've never had such shady, terrible customer service with any company in my entire life.

Also, they continued to charge my pre-paid account despite having 30 dollars left on the account, after I moved out and only refunded what was left to the new account when it got all the way down to 2 dollars and some change. Basically they just didn't close my account out for almost three weeks after I moved and continued to bill that whole time.

Just Energy response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience with our customer service department Matthew. Just Energy takes such matters seriously and will ensure all agents are coached to provide correct and critical information at all times. Your concerns were not addressed timely and we apologize for this. We thank you for your patience while we worked to review what led to your account issues when moving residences. We have corrected your billing errors, updated your online account portal access and provided you with a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had a sales rep come up to my door as a disabled woman told me that I could save money on my gas bill so I decided it was worth a shot being on a fixed and low-income. Any money that I could save is a good thing as I am on disability and so is my son. I was told that I would only get one bill from Just Energy however I received a bill from SoCalGas which had their price for the month and also had a prize for Just Energy SoCalGas price was less than Just Energy as well as their charge per wattage was lower. Just Energy was always higher and I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

I've then canceled my service after 3 months only to be bombarded with emails and when I was told at the time of cancellation that my account would be credited the amount of my last bill he then had to open up a ticket to listen to the conversation between the customer service rep and myself. I told him to please do so because they were on speakerphone and I had witnesses to the fact of what I was told and had no reason to lie. Still waiting at this point on the results whether they'll take off the amount owed of $37.92 or not!

However at the end of the phone call the gentleman asked me if I refer friend I get a $25 credit. I would not refer my dog. Not only am I leaving this review here I have also notified the Better Business Bureau. I have put a post in the city that I live in. City Hall to notify everyone in my city not to use them as well as notified all my family and friends and everyone that I know not to use this company. It is they are the biggest scammers that I know. My bill triples. It was nothing less about it and for them to take advantage of a disabled woman with a disabled child on a limited income was a disgrace and they should be ashamed of themselves. Bad business.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Was with Just Energy for 6+ years on Auto Pay. Never missed a payment. They put me on month to month without notifying me and charged me 20 Cents per kilowatt for 4 consecutive months driving bill to over $500+ per month until I called in. They would not remedy anything except to force me into a 3 year contract upon which they assured me they wouldn't charge an exit fee upon my tenant taking over my place. I notified them the Tenant would be switching providers and of course I am fighting them on a $175 exit fee. It takes 45 minutes to get anyone on the phone and no once will do anything to assist.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Just Energy told me I was gonna save a little money, and the rate stays the same. It won’t be flex unlike regular PSE&G. As of right now, everything is fine. It may be like a $10 difference at this time. I really don’t see a big difference in price because my bill’s low anyway.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I signed up with Just Energy in 2012. I had one month with them, then canceled. 10/2014 I got a call saying I owed $68. I asked for a copy of the bill to show I owed the money. Person said they would send it out. They called again 11/3/2014. Again I asked for a copy of the invoice. Nothing. Fast forward to 12/14/2018. Collections calling about this bill. Again I ask for a copy. They say they can’t give it to me. I get the runaround of who I should call. No one can give me a copy of the bill. Supervisions are always busy. But one will call me back they say. 12/28/2018, another call, same story. Today I get another call. As I am typing this I have been on hold waiting for a supervisor for 26 minutes. I have asked for an address to send a certified letter to. Woman who is handling my call can’t provide one. 7 years of this is just too much. I only gave one star because it required me to chose one - no choice for negative stars.

Just Energy response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience Ms. Hart. Your feedback is appreciated and will be used to enhance our customer experience. The requested document has been provided to you. We thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this matter for you.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

One star because I couldn't give 0!!! Never go with this company! Don't let your friends or family go with this company... Don't let your enemies go here! We had nothing but trouble with them since our first bill which was outrageous! When I tried calling I never could get through to anyone! I spent over an hour each time I called listening to pre recorded messages and never spoke to anyone! Our bill became past due because I couldn't pay the whole amount or speak with anyone! I had to contact the PUC in order for someone to finally reach out!!!

Set up a payment plan and we were good until the December payment was 2 days late reaching them because of holiday mail! They took our payment of course but disconnected our electricity because it "went against contract because we were late." Every other company I have dealt with has been very understanding in that type of situation because it's not my fault or theirs. The mail was slow... But yet they didn't care. They just wanted money money money! I'm glad we are no longer with them and couldn't be happier! So long rude people who are too "busy" to answer the phones!

Just Energy response

Hi Stephanie. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate recent experience. A representative will be reaching out to you soon to see how we can assist your concerns regarding your experience.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Just Energy representatives knocked on my door and they assured me a lower rate. However, I really don’t know what’s going on and I don’t know if Just Energy is doing my thing or not because I got a letter today talking about I need to change my supplier. Plus, I paid somebody a deposit and I didn’t even need any deposit because my lights was never off. Still, I’d recommend Just Energy because they’ve been good to me.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I signed over with the Just Energy lady in the store and she was really nice. I also got me a little card which I got to call and send. I'll recommend Just Energy to somebody else.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

So I had disputed a charge with Just Energy back in September 2018. They charged me $191 for a month of power in a 1 bedroom apartment, which was odd (also $161 the following month). It turns out that my contract had expired and they decided to jack my rate up for no reason. The thing was, they never notified me that my rate would increase post contract, nor, did they send me ANY notification that my contract was up.

After roughly 10 hours on the phone with 6 different agents (all of them were rude and indifferent), they agreed to re-rate me at the correct rate if I signed for another year, which I did. They agreed to only re-rate me for the first overcharge however ($191) NOT the 2nd overcharge. Like any sane person, I asked them to re-rate the 2nd charge... 2 different customer service agents said they would absolutely not.

Since they said no, I decided to dispute the charge with AMEX. AMEX got back to me and said that Just Energy was not responding to their request for an explanation so the $100 credit on my AMEX remained. I figured we were all square. Nope... I saw that my December bill was for $181! I knew that they were up to their old trick so I called Just Energy. It turns out that they later decided to Re-rate me and not tell me about it... I'll say it again, not even a freaking email to tell me that they re-rated me! This was after they told me, rudely, that they would NOT re-rate me! They charged me the $100 that I had disputed, fair enough, they fixed the issue, I'm happy to pay that $100. They added a $25 fee, get this, as a penalty for disputing the charge! A PENALTY FOR DISPUTING THE CHARGE. Now I frankly don't care about the $25... It's the principle. You cannot be this rude and non-communicative with customers and keep their business.

So today, I spent 2 hours on the phone with 3 different reps (I never asked for different reps... They kept transferring me because me call was taking too long... I will type that again so that you fully get it... THEY KEPT TRANSFERRING ME BECAUSE HELPING THEIR CUSTOMER WAS TAKING TOO MUCH OF THEIR TIME). That is psychotic. Anyway, they refused to refund the $25. I will be leaving for another power company as soon as I get time to do so.

HEED MY WARNINGS... PAY MORE MONEY TO A DIFFERENT POWER COMPANY, DON'T USE JUST ENERGY. You will feel better being treated like a human being and not a pest, it is worth paying more! If you want to picture the experience talking to a Just Energy rep on the phone, I will paint one for you. Imagine an indifferent, sullen, angry teenager, who hates their job, trying to get you off of the phone as quickly as possible and truly not caring if your issue is solved or if you are satisfied as their customer. Speaking with Just Energy is like a day the DMV.

Just Energy response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience Christopher. Thank you for allowing us to review and address your concerns. You are a valued Just Energy customer and your feedback is appreciated. We thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this matter for you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Just Energy said that they were able to lower our monthly bill. They put us to a new company that’s more expensive and that’s who subcontracts electricity out to us. Just Energy pays the same and I get discounts because I am a Sam’s Club member. The representative handled most of the signup process as long as I had the bills. I had to give them bills so I can give them the correct information. I didn’t have the bill at first though, so I had to go back and make an additional trip to the store to talk about the bill. It really wasn’t that hard of a setup for me. But I wasn’t able to set up the points system, which was difficult for me. And I'm still having a hard time setting up the points.

It was explained to me that the service will be maintained until I cancel it. I didn’t know there was a contract though. I’m not 100% sure but it was explained to me that if I wanted to cancel and I could call any time and cancel it. But I wasn’t informed that there was a monthly subscription. It also wasn’t explained to me that there was a certain period of time where I have to renew. I don’t think that Just Energy is working for me. My bill may be anywhere between 10 and 11 cents different.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My experience with Just Energy has been okay. I needed lights. My daughter had the service and recommended that I get it. But during the sign-up process, I had to pay $200 as a deposit that I thought was refundable, but I found out it wasn’t. I'm fine with the bills, but I don’t understand this month. I kept calling to pay it, but I kept getting a zero balance. I may have paid it and forgot though.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I've been with Just Energy for six months and I have no complaints. Their representatives were good.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I like Just Energy's service. Their rate is cheaper and everything went fine when I switched to them. The process was very easy.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I've had Just Energy four years and have no complaints. I don’t think they got a good price, but it is what it is.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Your support agent hang up on us. We wait over 30 minutes at 6.00pm at night for that then we have to wait again because they hang up. We pay our bills on time every month for this kind of response. Oh by the way I’m sick and disabled.

Just Energy response

Thank you for being a valuable Just Energy customer Mark. Your feedback is much appreciated. We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. Thank you for allowing us to address your concerns and provide you with a suitable resolution.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

A worker came to my door about Just Energy... Never heard of them before... Signed up with them. He said it would be easy to canceled... Been getting the runarounds with my cancellation. Canceled in November and still being billed. Every customer service gave me different excuses even talked to the manager. Still haven't received proof of cancellation notice when it will exactly stop charging me by paper. They come to my house with offers. I will slam door in their face and let everyone beware of these crooks. I asked, "If y'all still bill me will I get some of my money back?" and manager said no. They got 3 months. After 3 months lawsuit will come and it's not going to be pretty for giving me the runaround.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was approached by a company representative at Sam’s Club telling that I could sign up to receive perks as an Ameren customer and that my bill wouldn’t change. Next thing you know, I am receiving a $357 bill when my bill is typically $70. I have been trying to talk to them over the phone and over email for the last week and a half and no one at the Illinois branch answers. And no one from any other branch has access to my account. I am beyond frustrated by how untruthful this whole process was, how my bill grew 4 times in a single month, and by the lack of customer service by these people. I do not know what else to do. I have tried everything and no one ever responds, emails me back, or calls me back.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was in a store and Just Energy had a little section set up. They said something about stabilizing and lowering my bill so I went with them. I've been with them for a couple of months now.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

With Just Energy, I’m in the surety of lock-ins on my price so I went with them and I'm really happy. Their reps were professional, courteous, and helpful. It’s a very good experience.

No response received
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The sales person at Sam's Club said that the rates with Just Energy are lower. I signed up with them, but my bill’s a little higher now. Also, my previous carrier's prices are lower.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

My wife and I shop at Sam's Club and were sold on a free gift card for switching our electricity provider and offered lower rates than Com-Ed. It was all BS. We get our bill and our rate is jacked to NYMEX divided by 100 + 5.79. MP THANKS! Then when you call to cancel you're on the phone for close to an hour because they want you to give up. Then they try and offer you so called cheaper plans. I'm done with this company. What a scam.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

There was a representative at Sam's Club who told me about Just Energy and how it worked. I signed up with them and so far it’s been great. It was a seamless transition. It was just a change of our bill one day. I like that the energy is coming from more wind and more solar. I also like the perks. Every month we collect bonus points, and then we can apply them to either a gift card or other discounts. I don’t get anything like that from National Grid. I would recommend Just Energy.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Houston
TX
www.justenergy.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.