3.87/5
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 22, 2018

430 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2018

I set up an account online for a second home in Atlanta, GA. The website has a bug where it will transpose your billing address with your service address. Beware! Customer service seems to be offshore and is not very helpful when they go off their script. One agent told me I entered the address wrong. There is no way I could have entered my billing address in the service address field! Just Energy doesn't service my billing address. If they have bugs like this on their website I wonder if customer data is at risk!

Just Energy response

Hello Kevin, we aim to provide best in class customer experience for our customers. We regret that you've been experiencing issues with our website. We appreciate your feedback and would like to look into this. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you very soon. Thanks.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I signed up for Just Energy through a rep at HEB on May 8th. I was told that the service would not start until May 10th and I had until that day to cancel. I went home and found a better rate with another company and called Just Energy to let them know that I didn't want to start the service. They confirmed that my service had not started and would not start. I just received a bill from them for service on the 10th and 11th and when I called back they said they had no record of me calling to cancel and therefore I have to pay the bill. This was the Just Energy Customer Rep's fault not mine. Not happy with the customer service and thankful to have switched providers to Reliant.

Just Energy response

Hello Kristi, we regret your experience. Someone from our team will be reaching out to look into this. Thanks.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2018

I was moving into a place April 27th and had called at least a week before to set up utilities at the condo starting April 27th. It turned out that the place was unlivable so I called first thing Monday April 30th to cancel and move utilities to a new place that I had found over the weekend. I asked them to clarify to me that the 27-30 for the condo would show separately on the bill and the 1st-end of bill date would show separately as well but on the same bill. I got my bill and it was $180 for April 20th (not the 27th) to April 30th. First off no one was living in this place so for the bill to be $180 is absurd when nothing was being used and second I never once said I was moving in on the 20th.

I called Just Energy to try to get this resolved and the lady was extremely condescending and she explained to me I need to get proof that I only lived there the 27-30 so I did right away. I emailed it off to the email she provided and they emailed me a couple days later with the exact same bill I received in the beginning even after I explained to them once again, the whole situation and that they need to help me fix this so the Condo owners can pay for the portion of the bill. I also have yet to be able to login to my account and every time I ask someone about it they say their portal is down and I should try resetting my password which I have three times now so if I want my bill I have to email them and ask them to send me a copy.

AND it is now the 14th and I just received a call asking me if I have electricity and gas because my new address they have on my file doesn't work when I told them to take it from the owner who is with just energy and has the same ID's and transfer it to under my name so I can take it over. But obviously that never got done until today when they had to call me and question why I don't have services! This has honestly been the most painful and inconvenient experience of my entire life.

Just Energy response

Hello Kayleigh, we sincerely regret your experience and would like to look into this. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you very soon with a resolution. Thanks.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I’m contented with the services of Just Energy. I chose them for their rates and somebody I know was working for them at the time I got them years ago. I’d tell my friends to check them out.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Just Energy was walking in the neighborhood and soliciting door-to-door and I was very intrigued by what they had to say. The rep who came was very pleasant, polite, and informative. She asked to see my energy bill and we talked about what the current rate was and what their rate was. And showed me the paperwork and we signed the contract. She then made a phone call and locked it in so that we were set. The process was very simple and easy. There was a significant drop in price compared to the energy company that we had and it was a locked-in rate for 5 years. So even as the energy company fluctuated their rates, which they still do, I’m locked-in at a very low rate. I would recommend Just Energy. I'd tell friends to dig out their current energy bill and contact Just Energy and find out what the price comparisons are, the differences and what the locked-in rates could be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: May 8, 2018

When I was shopping at Sam’s Club, the way the guy promoted the whole thing about Just Energy sounded really great. My electricity bill is always high especially in the summertime because we own a central AC and from what the guy from Just Energy was telling me I would be able to save a lot of money. Since then, I’ve been telling a lot of people, especially that work at Sam’s Club, about it because to me, it’s a great advantage. Signing up with Just Energy was okay and their team has been great. They treated me like a family of mine.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 7, 2018

I used to use IMP years ago and a lady from Just Energy came out on our front door. At that time, they were going with lower gas rates so I went with them. However, my energy bills went up. I called and asked them to give me a notification on when I could lock my gas prices but I haven't received any phone calls since I've been with them. It's their prerogative to keep their customers happy. I've not called this year and locked in my gas prices and I have no problem going back to NIPSCO.

Just Energy response

Hello Matthew. Thanks for your sharing your feedback with us. We do appreciate the opportunity to make things right. We understand that someone was able to address your concerns. If there’s anything that we can do for you, please let us know. Thanks

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2018

Just Energy's rep caught me at the right moment and he explained and went through everything. They had one of the lowest rates. I took the rate that would stay the same for at least a year then it would go up only so much after that. However, I didn't like that the presentation was a little long when it could be a little shorter. They also wanted both the husband and the wife to be listening. That's not necessary. And I’ve been finding that very annoying. Everybody makes the decision now.

Just Energy response

Hello Renee, thank very much for your feedback. We would like to look into this. Someone will be contacting you soon to discuss your concerns. Thanks.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2018

I was told my bill would not go up and would stay the same. If it did go up, it would be by a few bucks. This is not true. I've been paying double every month! I pay the gas company and Just Energy! My bill went from 30 to 60 bucks to 100+! Not happy at all.

Just Energy response

Hello Shakira, someone from our team has been trying to get in touch with you to review your bill. We've sent you additional info in a private message. Thanks.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Just Energy reps were at Sam's Club and they offered a gift card. We signed up for the service, and though I haven't dealt with anybody and I haven't looked at my bills, I'd recommend them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 30, 2018

My bill from March and April went up, I was charged an extra $79.00 from Just Energy, it made my normal bill go from $30-$40 to $ $70 - $86. With no explanation. I was told it would not go up, but stay around that amount. They lied.

Just Energy response

Hello Alva, we understand that someone from our customer service team was able to get a hold of you regarding your plan If there's anything that we can help you with, please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thanks.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I've come to know about Just Energy at Sam’s Club and the young sales guy who approached and spoke to me about it was very knowledgeable. He did a good job of explaining everything and he gave me a lot of information. I’m hoping that it’s a great change for me because my husband was really mad when I made the change. He had recently seen some things on television that were about changing providers and there was some negative feedback on the news. Yet as far as the service goes at this point, the experience is good.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Just Energy has been supplying my gas and electric for about three years now. My bills have been dropping, dropping, dropping. They give good service and I like that I had no problems with them.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Somebody came to my door and I signed up. However, my bills have drastically increased over this past winter. It's kind of weird. Nevertheless, the best thing with Just Energy is that every few months, I rack up enough points to get a gift card.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The lady told me I could sign up with Just Energy and get a $45 Sam card, so I said, “Okay”, because I’ve been having a huge bill with my energy company. When I was with Direct Energy my bill was almost $200 because I’m in a big home. She told me about the rate, and then I just went ahead and signed up for it. The service was easy, but later on, I felt like I was still getting mail from Direct Energy. So I had to call the guy and ask why I was not switched yet to Just Energy. He said, “You had to call me and get my confirm to start the energy thing.” I told him I already signed the paper and then he was like, “While I have you on the line let’s go ahead and take care of that.” So, we took out the line. He was friendly and nice.

Original review: April 19, 2018

When we first moved in someone from Just Energy came to our door. It was a new house and we hadn’t gone for even a winter yet when they came. But in our previous house, our bill was very high. And since we got Just Energy, we've seen a big difference in our bills from one energy company to another. We need to renew this fall and I would like to renew. I enjoyed it. I have a really good and informative experience and I love having been on Just Energy.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2018

There was a guy from Just Energy that was out in my neighborhood going door to door and he compared my bill to theirs. He told me Anchor wouldn’t be billing me and I was confused about that because how come Anchor would not bill me when I'm using Anchor. The rep was nice and sweet, and he knew what he was talking about. But after him, it was hell. Just Energy was supposed to turn the service on three weeks ago but they never did. They just turned it on last week. Dealing with their customer service was horrible. I was waiting on one person and that person was waiting for another person and this person was waiting on that person. Supervisors were busy and they couldn't get on the phone. I had talked to them from about 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM. I’m very dissatisfied 'cause if I’m having this much trouble and I haven't even got the bill yet, I wonder what I’m gonna go through when I get a bill and have questions.

Just Energy response

Hello Daphyae, we understand that you were able to speak to our team who regarding your account. We hope that you were able to resolve your concerns. If there's anything that we can do for you please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thanks.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Just Energy is the Biggest SCAM I have encountered. They sold me a service and locked me in for 5 years. They came in and looked at my bill - told me that according to my usage as a single individual living in a house that it would reduce my costs. Instead, it tacked on an additional $40 to my Hydro and $50 to my gas and for the past 5 years I have been paid over $5000 to a middleman company that never once reduced or modified the cost except to add to it extra "vendor fees".

On top of which their Customer Service department was absolutely useless to do anything about it to ensure any type of customer satisfaction full well knowing that I qualified as one of the individuals that this program would NOT benefit. I get that there are people in situations who would benefit from such a program, but these people have looked at my usage etc still went ahead to sell me a useless product that has cost me over $5000 over the last 5 years. In the images attached you can see the difference with and without this service.

Just Energy response

Hello Candice, we regret your experience and sorry that the program did not work for you. Customer experience is extremely important to us and we appreciate your feedback. It looks like our team was able to provide you with a resolution to help address your concerns. If there’s anything else that we can do please let us know at pr@justenergy.com.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Somebody from Just Energy came to my door. At that time, I didn't have any provider. I went with Just Energy but I didn't stay with them long. I switched to AEP and there is more money to spend than with Just Energy.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Just Energy came to my door years ago and they offered a good solid deal. I go through NIPSCO and Just Energy shows up on my NIPSCO bill. I've had them for quite a while and I'm satisfied with what my heat bill is in the winter time.

Original review: April 15, 2018

The Just Energy team came to the door and they explained different things to me and I thought it was a good deal. Prior to my change over from Duke Energy to Just Energy, the season was about to change and from that point, Just Energy and Duke Energy were about the same. I've re-insulated my home and done some other things as far as saving on energy, and when I had Duke, I didn't do those things. And then when the season changed into winter and I did my insulation thing, I noticed a difference between the winter bill with Just Energy and with that of Duke. My experience with Just Energy has been okay.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I heard that Just Energy was good stuff and was better than what I was paying. Their team was very good. They were nice and I liked the way they talked to me.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Just Energy was the first place we encountered like that and the person who was delivering the speech was very convincing. We've been paying less than we did before since signing up and the experience is pretty seamless.

Original review: April 12, 2018

In 2002 we began buying electricity from Commerce Energy and everything went smoothly. This month we had an enormous increase on our bill. I just discovered that our energy supplier was switched from Commerce to Just Energy a year ago without any notification. When I called Just Energy last week I was told that they could not find our account and that the company doesn’t sell electricity in California. I called several times and no one could find any record of us! Just how then were they able to charge us over $300 on this recent bill? They said our case would be expedited and we should hear from someone in five days but so far I have not been contacted by anyone. This is just ridiculous.

Updated on 05/10/2018: I was told in my last exchange that the problem had been solved. This month once again, there was no charge on my utility bill for the electricity provided by this company. I emailed my contact there a week ago and again this morning. I have not been contacted. This is a ridiculous and frustrating situation.

Just Energy response

Hello Betsy, we regret your experience and understand that someone was able to connect with you to explain the charges on your bill. We appreciate your feedback as we strive to offer excellence customer service at every touch point. If there's anything that we can do for you, please let us know. Email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 11, 2018

When I had called to start service with them, they spoke very fast and I wasn't aware at the time how much of a scam this was. They promised to lock in my rate, which was very high compared to the service I had been receiving straight from the electric company (Almost Double!!!). Then they proceeded to charge me for some sort of green energy plan that I had no idea they signed me up for. I called to complain. They spoke very fast when reading the terms and agreements to the point where I could not understand them and I was not aware that they auto renew your account unless you call to cancel.

They said they sent out a renewal letter, but I never received one. I called to cancel and said that I didn't want to renew and they started racking up charges left and right. Now they are telling me that I owe DOUBLE the amount from when I canceled. So far, this company has been nothing but shady and untrustworthy from day one and they keep tacking on extra charges. My electric bill was $300 for 1 bedroom apt. They will rack up fees and charges quicker than you can ask about them. They will do anything to trap you into a contract and take money from you. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

Just Energy response

Hello Eric, we regret your experience and sorry you feel that way. We did investigate that there was a valid enrollment call and contract which outlined the terms and conditions of the agreement. We be more than happy to discuss the matter. Please reach out to pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: April 8, 2018

A young lady stopped me and was telling me about changing to Just Energy and we went with them because of the rates. The service has been good and I'm satisfied with it.

Resolution response: April 13, 2018

Took a number of phone calls but they finally resolved this. I'm happy with the outcome.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have now received TWO "De-enrollment" letters from Just Energy. I don't even understand what this is. I think I signed up with Commerce Energy for electric a few years ago when they came to my door, but since it was all bundled with Delmarva and was billed by Delmarva I never really thought about it. My Delmarva bills are charged to my bank account each month so I don't really think about Commerce (or Just Energy).

I called when I received the first De-enrollment notice and they gave me a case number, said not to worry about it, and that they'd get back to me within 5-7 business days. Now I've received my second "De-enrollment" notice but I have yet to receive a call back from the first one. I called again yesterday and somehow got a specific woman's voice mail greeting (rather than general customer service) so I left her a voicemail message. No idea what is going on or why I would be De-enrolled. They have always been paid through Delmarva. The whole thing is wacky. I hope someone sees this and gets back to me. Thanks.

Just Energy response

Hello Donna, we apologize for the inconvenience but believe the issue has now been resolved. Customer service is extremely important to us. If there’s anything that we can help you with, please let us know at pr@justenergy.com.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had a high electric bill and the lady said she would be able to lower my bill so I decided to go with Just Energy. The representative was really nice. She gave me her number in case I had any further questions.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 6, 2018

Sounds like I am not the only CA resident dissatisfied with my experience. I had someone come to our home and tell us that we would be charged a flat rate of $10 for gas and that PGE would not be charging us gas anymore. Obviously we signed up! Come to find out I am being charged by PGE and Just Energy now. I emailed with no reply even though they say they will get back in 2 business days. I called customer service and the person I talked to didn't even know what was going on? She just said that what I was told isnt correct and that I have to pay both. When I asked what the benefit of paying for Just Energy she couldnt tell me. I don't understand what I am even paying for and am very upset I was deceived by the salesperson. I was promised that Debra or Debbie who is the sales manager would call me back and explain everything. I have yet to receive a callback.

Just Energy response

Hello Kristin, we apologize for your experience and would like to help. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you very soon to review your account. Thanks.

Original review: April 6, 2018

The Just Energy rep came to our home and explained everything. It sounded good and she said our energy bills wouldn’t go up or natural gas wouldn’t go up for a while. They offered us a better deal than the Consumers and it was all the same pipelines so, we took it. We signed up for this a couple of years ago and the price doesn’t go up or down. In the winter time, they used to go up a lot but then we got a new roof and everything is kinda stabilized.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses