4.1/5 (111 ratings)

About Just Energy

Just Energy specializes in electricity and natural gas solutions, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. It currently serves 20 markets across North America, including 11 U.S. states and six Canadian provinces. It offers green energy solutions for residential buildings and businesses and a variety of plans with different rates and contract lengths.

Pros

• Flexibility for commercial consumers
  • Personalized plans
  • Offers energy-saving solutions

Cons

• Only available in 11 states

Bottom Line

Just Energy offers long-term contracts for homes and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their energy bills. The company’s services are only available in 11 states, however.

Top Just Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

A friend uses Just Energy. I just called them and they got everything set up over the phone. Signing was a simple, smooth process. They also asked questions to make sure that it w...

Verified

When I first got the service, I spoke to someone and everything went well with them. The process didn’t take too long. It took 10 minutes at most just to get everything through an...

What is Just Energy?

Just Energy is an electric and natural gas provider that serves residential and commercial customers. The company specializes in energy efficiency solutions.

Just Energy has a limited service area — in the U.S., it offers services in:

• New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas

In Canada, the company serves customers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

If you live in one of these areas, there are many benefits to using Just Energy for your gas and electricity needs.

Just Energy plans

Just Energy offers multiple plans with varying contract lengths and price points to help customize a solution for any customer.

• Secured-rate supply plans charge the same price per kilowatt hour or therm each month for the entire length of your contract. However, the monthly bill fluctuates based on how much gas or electricity you use. This plan is good for customers interested in protecting their price per kilowatt-hour or therm from changing, even when the price of the commodity changes in the energy market.
  • Variable-rate supply plans are flexible because you are not locked into a monthly payment. With this plan, the amount you pay for your electricity or natural gas is based on the current market prices for gas and electricity in your area.
  • Prepaid supply plans are similar to prepaid cell phone plans. You can purchase your gas and electric supply upfront without a deposit or contract. This is a good option for those with no credit or low credit or who are temporary residents. There are no long-term contracts.
  • Predict-a-bill plans let customers pay a fixed amount for energy each month based on average use. This budget-friendly plan keeps the monthly rate the same regardless of consumption.

The company also has more specific plans that customers can choose based on their budgets and energy consumption levels. Plans vary by location, but some of the most popular plans include:

• Base Saver III plan: This is a budget-friendly plan with a fixed electricity rate as low as 7.6 cents per kWh when you use an average of 1000 kWh of power.
  • Just 400 Plus plan: This plan gives customers a $200 credit on their winter bills when energy consumption is the highest.
  • Just Energy Purely Green 24 plan: A 24-month plan that provides power from 100% renewable energy sources. It offers a fixed rate for the entire length of the contract.
  • Simple Rate plan: A 36-month plan that provides a fixed rate. This is ideal for those who want a long-term contract without any surprises or rate hikes.

Just Energy rates

The price of electricity is constantly changing, and rates vary depending on your geographical location. At the time of publishing, Hawaii is the most expensive market in the country for electricity at 34 centers per kWh and Washington state is the least expensive at 9.35 cents.

California, Massachusetts and New York rank as some of the most expensive places for electricity, which is why many people in these states turn to companies like Just Energy to help them cut costs.

For example, In Texas, Just Energy plans typically run anywhere from 10.4 cents per kWh to 12.3 cents per kWh at the time of publishing. To determine how much Just Energy can save you on your gas and electric bill, speak with a Just Energy representative for prices in your area.

There is no penalty if you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing, but canceling after that costs $50. There is also a one-time penalty (not to exceed 5%) on a delinquent bill for electric service. Other fees to consider include:

• Manual payment fee: A charge assessed on certain products when a payment is made through a method other than JE-Aut0-Pay.
  • Disconnection fee: A fee assessed if your service is disconnected.
  • Exit fee: A fee assessed if your contract is ended early due to you breaching the contract.
  • Insufficient funds charge: A fee assessed for returned payments.
  • JustGreen charge: A fee for the level of JustGreen you select when signing up with Just Energy.

Just Energy FAQ

What does Just Energy do?
Just Energy offers natural gas and/or electricity to residential and commercial customers.
Does Just Energy have a cancellation fee?
Yes. If you cancel after the 30-day introductory period, the company charges a $50 exit fee.
Is Just Energy a good company?
Just Energy only serves a handful of states in the country, but it offers a wide selection of options to help homes and businesses maximize the way they use gas and electricity. It provides many of the same services and plans as its competitors.
How many customers does Just Energy have?
Around 1.8 million people use Just Energy in their homes and businesses.

Is Just Energy worth it?

Just Energy provides energy-efficient home and business options like lighting control, energy management, smart building controls and HVAC controls and is a good choice for people looking for smart technology options to help them lower their energy costs. The company is in a limited number of U.S. states, but residents in those areas should check out Just Energy’s options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: April 26, 2022

Just Energy was better than what I was doing so I signed up and it's been a good four or five years that I've been with them. At the time, it seemed much cheaper. Now, I don't know if it's still cheaper or not. I never realized until one day I was sitting looking at my bill that I get a charge from FirstEnergy and I get another charge from Dominion. Other than that, their customer service was very nice. Also, Just Energy gives me a gift card to Sam's Club every year. Our bills were in my husband's name. I asked about having it changed but they don't change. They just added me to the account.

Just Energy response

Hello Jackie, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I was in Sam's Club and they approached me. They said that they’d lock me in a price and it can't go up. However, I found out that I'm paying more now with Just Energy. I called the other day to cancel it. The guy said, “I could take a dollar off of whatever cost it was.” I couldn't understand him. But I just kept it. He sounded very nice.

Just Energy response

Hello Deborah, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

Just Energy is decent. This year when I renewed, the prices went up significantly so I told them that this may not be the best option for me anymore. As most businesses do, they offered me something not significant, but lower than what they initially had offered, because they said that the prices were going up. Everybody's got their prices going up. So, it was easy to get worked out. I didn’t have any issue and I have no complaints. The rep kept trying to reassure me that they would do the best that they could to get me something lower and that it still would be significantly lower than what others were offering. He was trying his best to keep me as a customer. Overall, it was okay. On the anniversary of my account with Just Energy, I get a gift card to my local Sam's Club. It was a bit lower this year than last year but with the pandemic, everybody's trimming the fat.

Just Energy response

Hello Taffney, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I feel truly blessed, thank you Just Energy! For years I thought that I had a decent electricity plan, until I had a just energy representative come to my home and help me. He was very thorough and explained everything very well. I was very hesitant about talking to him because like I said I thought I had a good plan, but even on my lower bills I was still getting charged around $200 every month which I just figured was normal. I felt like my bill kept going up even though I was under contract and thought that it would not fluctuate much. So I heard him out, he put me on the best plan for me, and ever since my bills have been around 50 or $60 every month!! I did have one higher bill in August that went up to $81… But this was still a blessing for me considering the lowest bill I ever had with my previous company was $160! I just want to say thank you Just Energy, you are truly helping me more than y’all will ever know!!!

Just Energy response

Hello Cole, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We noticed a difference in our monthly bill when we went with Just Energy five years ago but now, there are a lot of places that have it cheaper. We had a three-year contract. Then, we did another three-year contract and they had some fee attached to it. I called and said that I didn’t want that on there so they didn’t put it. But it was like they tried to slip one in on you. If I hadn’t called them, they would have left it there.

Just Energy response

Hello Noelia, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: June 20, 2022

We switched over to Just Energy to get a better price. It was easy to sign up and the representative did a nice job.

Just Energy response

Hello Valerie, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: June 18, 2022

I got a piece of paper in the mail that said Just Energy was going to be the gas provider. They offered a gift card at that time, and I didn't have a lot of money, so the gift card was an incentive to me. However, I never got one from them.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Somebody came around door to door and it sounded like she had a good idea. I thought Just Energy would save me some money. Their services were a little cheaper and I enjoyed the experience with Just Energy.

Just Energy response

Hello Robert, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 24, 2022

I was supposed to be locked in at a certain rate and that wasn't true. If I could give Just Energy a 0, I’d give them a 0 because it's not right to trick somebody into getting on board, then after that, hiking up the rates without them knowing. I discontinued them, but it took me eight months to finally get ahold of someone because they kept on hanging up on me. It was a horrible experience, and I didn’t know what to do anymore. Also, I wanted to cancel, because I have a Tesla and I wanted to take advantage of the hourly plan that Comet, which is an electrical company, offers here. Now that I switched over to Comet, my bill’s super cheap compared to what I had with Just Energy.

Original review: May 22, 2022

Switching to Just Energy was okay and I haven't had any problems. Although, they told me that my payments would be cut and it's not that much.

Just Energy response

Hello Lois, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Just Energy Company Information