2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.28/5

Just Energy specializes in electricity and natural gas solutions, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. It currently serves 20 markets across North America, including 11 U.S. states and six Canadian provinces. It offers green energy solutions for residential buildings and businesses and a variety of plans with different rates and contract lengths.

Just Energy Video

BOTTOM LINE

Just Energy offers long-term contracts for homes and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their energy bills. The company’s services are only available in 11 states, however.

PROS

• Flexibility for commercial consumers
  • Personalized plans
  • Offers energy-saving solutions

CONS

• Only available in 11 states

Top Just Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

A friend uses Just Energy. I just called them and they got everything set up over the phone. Signing was a simple, smooth process. They also asked questions to make sure that it was going to be a great plan for my needs. So far, Just Energy seems to be just fine.

When I first got the service, I spoke to someone and everything went well with them. The process didn’t take too long. It took 10 minutes at most just to get everything through and to get the payment. I've been paying my payments through the app and everything’s been good. They have great prices and

Just Energy Learn More

What is Just Energy?

Just Energy is an electric and natural gas provider that serves residential and commercial customers. The company specializes in energy efficiency solutions.

Just Energy has a limited service area — in the U.S., it offers services in:

• New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas

In Canada, the company serves customers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

If you live in one of these areas, there are many benefits to using Just Energy for your gas and electricity needs.

Just Energy plans

Just Energy offers multiple plans with varying contract lengths and price points to help customize a solution for any customer.

• Secured-rate supply plans charge the same price per kilowatt hour or therm each month for the entire length of your contract. However, the monthly bill fluctuates based on how much gas or electricity you use. This plan is good for customers interested in protecting their price per kilowatt-hour or therm from changing, even when the price of the commodity changes in the energy market.
  • Variable-rate supply plans are flexible because you are not locked into a monthly payment. With this plan, the amount you pay for your electricity or natural gas is based on the current market prices for gas and electricity in your area.
  • Prepaid supply plans are similar to prepaid cell phone plans. You can purchase your gas and electric supply upfront without a deposit or contract. This is a good option for those with no credit or low credit or who are temporary residents. There are no long-term contracts.
  • Predict-a-bill plans let customers pay a fixed amount for energy each month based on average use. This budget-friendly plan keeps the monthly rate the same regardless of consumption.

The company also has more specific plans that customers can choose based on their budgets and energy consumption levels. Plans vary by location, but some of the most popular plans include:

• Base Saver III plan: This is a budget-friendly plan with a fixed electricity rate as low as 7.6 cents per kWh when you use an average of 1000 kWh of power.
  • Just 400 Plus plan: This plan gives customers a $200 credit on their winter bills when energy consumption is the highest.
  • Just Energy Purely Green 24 plan: A 24-month plan that provides power from 100% renewable energy sources. It offers a fixed rate for the entire length of the contract.
  • Simple Rate plan: A 36-month plan that provides a fixed rate. This is ideal for those who want a long-term contract without any surprises or rate hikes.

Just Energy rates

The price of electricity is constantly changing, and rates vary depending on your geographical location. At the time of publishing, Hawaii is the most expensive market in the country for electricity at 34 centers per kWh and Washington state is the least expensive at 9.35 cents.

California, Massachusetts and New York rank as some of the most expensive places for electricity, which is why many people in these states turn to companies like Just Energy to help them cut costs.

For example, In Texas, Just Energy plans typically run anywhere from 10.4 cents per kWh to 12.3 cents per kWh at the time of publishing. To determine how much Just Energy can save you on your gas and electric bill, speak with a Just Energy representative for prices in your area.

There is no penalty if you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing, but canceling after that costs $50. There is also a one-time penalty (not to exceed 5%) on a delinquent bill for electric service. Other fees to consider include:

• Manual payment fee: A charge assessed on certain products when a payment is made through a method other than JE-Aut0-Pay.
  • Disconnection fee: A fee assessed if your service is disconnected.
  • Exit fee: A fee assessed if your contract is ended early due to you breaching the contract.
  • Insufficient funds charge: A fee assessed for returned payments.
  • JustGreen charge: A fee for the level of JustGreen you select when signing up with Just Energy.

Just Energy FAQ

What does Just Energy do?
Just Energy offers natural gas and/or electricity to residential and commercial customers.
Does Just Energy have a cancellation fee?
Yes. If you cancel after the 30-day introductory period, the company charges a $50 exit fee.
Is Just Energy a good company?
Just Energy only serves a handful of states in the country, but it offers a wide selection of options to help homes and businesses maximize the way they use gas and electricity. It provides many of the same services and plans as its competitors.
How many customers does Just Energy have?
Around 1.8 million people use Just Energy in their homes and businesses.

Is Just Energy worth it?

Just Energy provides energy-efficient home and business options like lighting control, energy management, smart building controls and HVAC controls and is a good choice for people looking for smart technology options to help them lower their energy costs. The company is in a limited number of U.S. states, but residents in those areas should check out Just Energy’s options.

Just Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

The other service was expiring and I went online to see if I could find something more competitive. I talked to some rep that kinda helped me look through the several plans. We came to the conclusion that for what we were wanting to do, this particular plan looked like it would be a good fit. The lady helped me sign up or do whatever we needed to do at the time to get connected to Just Energy.

We've been on Just Energy's service for three or four months and everything's been fine at this point. My service didn't have anything interrupted but my costs so far have been lower than the previous company. It's a flat rate plan and Just Energy doesn't have as many add-on charges that we seem to have with the other company. It's a little bit more straightforward. The only thing that would be better is if it were even cheaper. We signed up for the three-year deal so we'll be around a while. It's hard to know what this energy market's gonna do over the next two or three years with everything else that's going on in the world these days. But we're very satisfied and would recommend Just Energy to anyone we visit with.

Just Energy response

Hello Steve, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relation

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2020

My sister uses Just Energy. I've used Bluebonnet Electric and the only difference is that with Bluebonnet, I could actually go up there to see their faces and talk. I call Just Energy to make payments. There have been good and bad interactions with reps. Some of them were unknowledgeable. If I had a question, it was very hard to get my answer. I would have to talk to somebody else. Also, they tried to do green energy. I had to pay $9 a month for it and I’m not interested in that. I’m on a set income and every dollar counts. My husband has fallen sick a couple of years ago, and I’m on a very strict budget.

We had a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment. When we were over there, out utility bill was extremely expensive. It went almost up to $300 and that was outrageous for us. We went a lot of the summer without AC and just opening up windows. Now, we’ve moved in the past month to a three-bedroom house. We just got our first bill, and we can see the significant difference in that. There was just a couple of hiccups recently in reference to trying to get our utilities transferred and turned off at the other address. But overall, with Just Energy, it's pretty much problem-free. When you call, you let them know what you want, and they pretty much do what they need to do to provide you the service that you need.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I moved from Colorado and I have one option there. My landlord gave me a list of options. I called a group that looks up things from multiple companies and Just Energy was the best flat rate for energy where I was living. It was really easy when I signed up the first time. I just recently moved and that's been quite complicated. The first time I called to switch it over, it was great. I had a specific move out date for my rental house. They started me early in the new house since I was carrying my rental for a month. Everything was set up fine. My energy's working great since then.

However, my energy is shut off today because they shut off the wrong house. It was one guy's mistake, not Just Energy's. I had to call and change the shut off date because my landlord took over my energy sooner than the actual end of the lease. He put the wrong address into shut off. It was my current residence instead of the one that I was planning on shutting off anyway. I don't know if the people I kept talking to just didn't know how to do it or if I was in a different department. Today, when I talked to the representatives, after being transferred five times, I got two or three person, and they helped me out. The transfers were quite annoying, though. It's still not on but they said they'd put a rush on getting someone out here to turn it back on for me. I'm hoping that that's true. The guy told me that he was shutting off the proper address, but he had it wrong in the computer.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I went to PowertoChoose.com and thought that Just Energy's rates were good. I probably got five houses on there. I usually do a one-year contract and then some of them I do month-to-month, which I like. Everything with them has been very easy. They actually call me before my contract goes out, which is great. I have multiple accounts, so when I'm signing up, customer service asks me for my name. I usually give that and my information in the home I live in ‘cause all my accounts are under that one. But when I add a new account, the system is not adding it to my own line. I have to go in, search for the account number, then put it into my log in. The online system doesn’t do that automatically.

I'm in the energy business. I used to work with CenterPoint at the time HL&P, which is Reliant now. Some people don’t know how much they really use. I used 3,000 kilowatts and I know that I’m not gonna buy a service that’s 3,000 kilowatts if I know I'm not gonna use all that because I'm probably gonna be charged wrongly. What I used to do to keep my light bill lower is I watch my kilowatt usage. If I only used like 1500 for that month and I knew it, I just turn every light on in the house till I got the 2,000.

Original review: March 6, 2020

The apartment complex that we rented for my son gave us a flyer of a central number to call. The rep looked up different plans and one plan looked good on paper. The price goes up on weekends though. There were different parameters and she said that we need to go with Just Energy since he's gonna not be home during the day and more in the evenings. The rep seemed very knowledgeable but the plans were a little confusing. This is for my son going to grad school in Texas and we're in Louisiana. Here, when you buy a house, you don't have an option. It's just who services this neighborhood. Over there, there must have been 10 different options of power companies. So, there's no way to simplify depending on your needs, but it was very different than what we were used to here. It was completely overwhelming that time and that was when I called in to that number.

I’m still having trouble and I had to call in for a question. The rep said there was a glitch in her system so I haven't been able to set up the app. It’s not working and I can't form an account online to pay my bill online. So, I ended up having to do a paper bill for now. I haven't gotten my first one yet. When I called, I was on hold for 30 minutes but other than that, she was very helpful when I got her and told me to try later.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I don't like that if you don't pay by the due date, there's a $30 late charge and I wish Just Energy would change that. With the whole pandemic going on and a lot of people out of work, it doesn't make sense to me. Other than that, the service has been okay and the people I've talked and interacted with were really nice. I talked to one of their reps about my bills and how it was going up. She shared with me that there was a lower rate going in my area and I was glad that she informed me about that. She also told me to call back because sometimes that changes for the winter. I need to do that to see if there's a lower rate. I was always paying this higher amount.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Just Energy is a lot better than the company we're with before in terms of the cost and the service. Everything has been good and my prices are exactly what I feel like they should be.

Hello Wendell,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Signing up with them was a simple process and I had no difficulty. I have the month to month contract and everything's running smoothly.

Hello Ronnie,

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I was coming off of a plan from another provider and I was trying to go cheaper. But when I got with Just Energy, my first couple of bills were extremely high, so that was bad.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

The other light company canceled me by accident and it was a coincidence that I happened to see Just Energy at Sam's. They asked me if I would sign up with them and I did. They also told me they would give me a gift card. So far, their service is very good and I have no problems with them.

Hello Anabel,