4.0/5 (31 ratings)

About Just Energy

Just Energy specializes in electricity and natural gas solutions, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. It currently serves 20 markets across North America, including 11 U.S. states and six Canadian provinces. It offers green energy solutions for residential buildings and businesses and a variety of plans with different rates and contract lengths.

Pros

• Flexibility for commercial consumers
  • Personalized plans
  • Offers energy-saving solutions

Cons

• Only available in 11 states

Bottom Line

Just Energy offers long-term contracts for homes and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their energy bills. The company’s services are only available in 11 states, however.

Top Just Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

A friend uses Just Energy. I just called them and they got everything set up over the phone. Signing was a simple, smooth process. They also asked questions to make sure that it w...

Verified

When I first got the service, I spoke to someone and everything went well with them. The process didn’t take too long. It took 10 minutes at most just to get everything through an...

What is Just Energy?

Just Energy is an electric and natural gas provider that serves residential and commercial customers. The company specializes in energy efficiency solutions.

Just Energy has a limited service area — in the U.S., it offers services in:

• New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas

In Canada, the company serves customers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

If you live in one of these areas, there are many benefits to using Just Energy for your gas and electricity needs.

Just Energy plans

Just Energy offers multiple plans with varying contract lengths and price points to help customize a solution for any customer.

• Secured-rate supply plans charge the same price per kilowatt hour or therm each month for the entire length of your contract. However, the monthly bill fluctuates based on how much gas or electricity you use. This plan is good for customers interested in protecting their price per kilowatt-hour or therm from changing, even when the price of the commodity changes in the energy market.
  • Variable-rate supply plans are flexible because you are not locked into a monthly payment. With this plan, the amount you pay for your electricity or natural gas is based on the current market prices for gas and electricity in your area.
  • Prepaid supply plans are similar to prepaid cell phone plans. You can purchase your gas and electric supply upfront without a deposit or contract. This is a good option for those with no credit or low credit or who are temporary residents. There are no long-term contracts.
  • Predict-a-bill plans let customers pay a fixed amount for energy each month based on average use. This budget-friendly plan keeps the monthly rate the same regardless of consumption.

The company also has more specific plans that customers can choose based on their budgets and energy consumption levels. Plans vary by location, but some of the most popular plans include:

• Base Saver III plan: This is a budget-friendly plan with a fixed electricity rate as low as 7.6 cents per kWh when you use an average of 1000 kWh of power.
  • Just 400 Plus plan: This plan gives customers a $200 credit on their winter bills when energy consumption is the highest.
  • Just Energy Purely Green 24 plan: A 24-month plan that provides power from 100% renewable energy sources. It offers a fixed rate for the entire length of the contract.
  • Simple Rate plan: A 36-month plan that provides a fixed rate. This is ideal for those who want a long-term contract without any surprises or rate hikes.

Just Energy rates

The price of electricity is constantly changing, and rates vary depending on your geographical location. At the time of publishing, Hawaii is the most expensive market in the country for electricity at 34 centers per kWh and Washington state is the least expensive at 9.35 cents.

California, Massachusetts and New York rank as some of the most expensive places for electricity, which is why many people in these states turn to companies like Just Energy to help them cut costs.

For example, In Texas, Just Energy plans typically run anywhere from 10.4 cents per kWh to 12.3 cents per kWh at the time of publishing. To determine how much Just Energy can save you on your gas and electric bill, speak with a Just Energy representative for prices in your area.

There is no penalty if you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing, but canceling after that costs $50. There is also a one-time penalty (not to exceed 5%) on a delinquent bill for electric service. Other fees to consider include:

• Manual payment fee: A charge assessed on certain products when a payment is made through a method other than JE-Aut0-Pay.
  • Disconnection fee: A fee assessed if your service is disconnected.
  • Exit fee: A fee assessed if your contract is ended early due to you breaching the contract.
  • Insufficient funds charge: A fee assessed for returned payments.
  • JustGreen charge: A fee for the level of JustGreen you select when signing up with Just Energy.

Just Energy FAQ

What does Just Energy do?
Just Energy offers natural gas and/or electricity to residential and commercial customers.
Does Just Energy have a cancellation fee?
Yes. If you cancel after the 30-day introductory period, the company charges a $50 exit fee.
Is Just Energy a good company?
Just Energy only serves a handful of states in the country, but it offers a wide selection of options to help homes and businesses maximize the way they use gas and electricity. It provides many of the same services and plans as its competitors.
How many customers does Just Energy have?
Around 1.8 million people use Just Energy in their homes and businesses.

Is Just Energy worth it?

Just Energy provides energy-efficient home and business options like lighting control, energy management, smart building controls and HVAC controls and is a good choice for people looking for smart technology options to help them lower their energy costs. The company is in a limited number of U.S. states, but residents in those areas should check out Just Energy’s options.

Just Energy Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I feel truly blessed, thank you Just Energy! For years I thought that I had a decent electricity plan, until I had a just energy representative come to my home and help me. He was very thorough and explained everything very well. I was very hesitant about talking to him because like I said I thought I had a good plan, but even on my lower bills I was still getting charged around $200 every month which I just figured was normal. I felt like my bill kept going up even though I was under contract and thought that it would not fluctuate much. So I heard him out, he put me on the best plan for me, and ever since my bills have been around 50 or $60 every month!! I did have one higher bill in August that went up to $81… But this was still a blessing for me considering the lowest bill I ever had with my previous company was $160! I just want to say thank you Just Energy, you are truly helping me more than y’all will ever know!!!

Just Energy response

Hello Cole, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We noticed a difference in our monthly bill when we went with Just Energy five years ago but now, there are a lot of places that have it cheaper. We had a three-year contract. Then, we did another three-year contract and they had some fee attached to it. I called and said that I didn’t want that on there so they didn’t put it. But it was like they tried to slip one in on you. If I hadn’t called them, they would have left it there.

Just Energy response

Hello Noelia, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: May 27, 2021

Just Energy's representatives and service have been good. However, I've had several occasions, especially in 2020 where I paid my bill and it wouldn't take the complete payment. Last year I got into it with one of the representatives because he wouldn't allow me to make the payment, yet I'm authorized on this account. It turned into a mess. I don't know what happened last year. But I'll make the payment, because it talks about on the master account.

I did everything over the phone. I went there one time, just an example, it was $9.80. But that wasn't the master bill. The master bill was $67. So then I said, “Okay, no problem. I'll pay the 67.” So I would type in, it would say, “You wanna pay a different amount.” I would type in $67, it would not take my payment because it would say I was paying too much. When I went to the other bill to pay, it would give me another number. I would pay that amount. And then the first bill that I chose that I would pay $9.80 would show as if I haven't paid the complete bill. I said, “Well, what happened?” They said, “Well, what happens is, since you paid the first bill, it took part for the first bill and part for the second bill.”

I got three accounts right now with Just Energy. “So instead, it took a part of your payment, and it gave it to this other bill.” I said, “Yeah, but I just called to pay that one.” Let’s say it deducted $4, so the payment went down $4. So the $9.80 I paid, only took $5. It was confusing. The good thing is that I had my confirmation number. I had everything. And he was sitting there, arguing me. I said, “Wait a minute, I got everything right here.” So they wind up having to credit my account back for late fees and disconnection notice. But like I told them, it's frustrating. And then they told me, “Well, no. Go on to the internet.” I said, “I've already tried to get all three accounts linked.” It won't allow me to link one of the accounts because it said that either my account is not existing, or that I have too many accounts.

The rep wasn't understanding me correctly. Because at the end when I finally told him that, “How do I have a confirmation number for this amount, but you’re giving me a different amount? We get a confirmation number in case something happens. You look it up, you say, ‘Okay –‘” that's when they figured out that they were taking a portion of the master bill and applying it to the second bill. So then, it was showing that I didn't pay the full amount. Once they figured that out, everything got squared away as far as them taking off late payments. I said, “You got to give me a break. Go back as far as you want and tell me when do I not pay the full amount?” Which is another thing that I've had to tell them, “Look at the history. When do I not pay the full amount?” Sometimes people, “Hey, I only got so much. I'll make a partial payment.” I go, “Look back and tell me when I've called for that. It's been years that I’ve had to do that.”

I gave up on the website. After I tried 30 times, I gave up. I said “The hell with his. I'll just go back to paying by the phone.” It was too much hassle. So I now get my bill through email. And I made sure that whatever amount is on the emailed bill is what I'm going to pay. And if I'm not able to, then I would just stay on the phone and a representative answers, and we would get it taken care of.

Hi Robert,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us.Thanks.

Corporate Consumer Relations

Original review: May 12, 2021

A young man from Just Energy came to the house and my husband talked to him. I was kind of reluctant because I'd always used local but my husband said we should do it. When this happened, I looked at the bill and thought, "If my bills are going to be this high, I won't be able to afford electricity." It was in the winter months so it was a big bill. But it's never been that big since. I started becoming very frugal with everything. I kept my heat down and tried to maintain what I wasn't used to. I didn't get a bill one time and I've got to have a bill for me to pay something. Then I got a little pink letter saying the service was going to be cut off. I called and everything got straightened out. I have been very satisfied with Just Energy.

Hi Dorris,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate Consumer Relations

Original review: May 9, 2021

I have Just Energy at my home and my business. I've kept them for a long time and I used to get offered better rates whenever my contract would be up than what I do now. They used to call every year to tell me what the rates were and update my contract, but it doesn't seem like I've had any phone calls from them in a couple years. They could offer some cheaper rates, especially for longtime customers. I've also referred a lot of people to them. I manage non-units to duplexes, and I always give them their information whenever they're looking for an electricity provider.

Hi Tarren,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. A member of our customer service team will contact you soon. Thanks.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I recently moved and did not have the option for Just Energy. I have been charged a termination fee even though I had no choice to terminate. That just doesn't seem right. I made 2 attempts to contact the company during their business hours to discuss this. I received a recorded message that the office was closed on both occasions. Fortunately I am now with a provider whose costs are lower and there is no termination fee.

Just Energy response

Just Energy thanks you for bringing Ms. Bensinger's concerns to our attention.

Please note that Just Energy has confirmed that charges associated with the cancellation of service have been removed.

We've called and left messages for Ms. Bensinger to call us back should she wish to discuss this matter further or to address any other concerns she may have.

Corporate and Consumer Relations Department

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

The guys with Just Energy were hounding me at Sam's so I took a chance to see if there was a difference in how much I pay a month. Turns out I'm still paying more for one person in the household. It's still expensive so I'm thinking I'm gonna get rid of Just Energy.

Just Energy response

Hello Teresa, someone from our Compliance team has tried reaching out to you to provide a resolution. We appreciate your feedback and would like to look into this. We welcome you to contact Just Energy and provide us the ability to speak with you and provide a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I had a sales rep come to my home and help me switch to JustEnergy. It was a fast and easy process. I have saved so much money. Their customer service is amazing. Absolutely life changing. I couldn’t be more satisfied.

Just Energy response

Hello Chassidy, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

The set-up was no effort at all and it was fine with their reps.

Just Energy response

We appreciate your feedback Stan. We aim to provide the best service for our customers. Please don't hesitate to reach out to Just Energy with any questions or assistance you may need.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Just Energy’s customer service responds to the questions I have and it's a good service. They’re a fair company and they lock your price.

Just Energy response

Hello Felix, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Just Energy Company Information