Call toll free
3.51/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

461 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

I received a letter stating JUST ENERGY will be reducing the Therms we signed up for. Our contract that is signed by Just Energy and us is for 1000 Therms per month. The letter we received states they are reducing it to 100 Therms per month. This is outrageous. We have signed up because their representative said we would only be charged between $5.95 and $6.50 a month plus PG and E Fee. Now I am paying twice that amount and they are going to change the terms of the contract. When I called them to complain I was told this is the way it is and if I don't like change back to PG and E. Well I will tell you what. That is exactly what I am going to do.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 11, 2018

My wife was met in Sam's Club by a gentleman claiming to represent Just Energy. He promised her lower monthly bills compared to our current bills through AmerEn, and a Sam's Club gift card. We have neither received the gift card, nor the lower bills. The first bill we had with Just Energy was slightly higher than we are used to paying, but I chalked it up to a warmer summer than last year. This month's bill is ridiculous. AmerEn wants 127$ for their electric supply and delivery, and Just Energy wants 176$ for their electric supply and delivery, despite both saying they "delivered and supplied" the same energy. I will be leaving Just Energy as soon as I can.

Just Energy response

Hi Joshua, we regret your experience and would like the chance to make things right. Someone from our team will reach out to you soon to discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: July 10, 2018

When I was shopping at Sam's Club, a Just Energy rep stopped us and said he could save us money on our electric bills. I was paying 11.2 cents per kwh but he said he could save me money with their 12.1 cent deal that included free nights. He clearly said that the rate was 12.1 cent per kwh repeatedly but today I got the the contract in the mail that says they will be charging me 18.2 cent per kwh. 12.1 cents was just an average after you subtract the free nighttime usage. Just complete scammers with their tricky wording and smoke and mirrors. Dishonest and dirty way of doing business.

Just Energy response

Hi Allen, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right for you. A member of our team will be reaching out to you soon. Thanks.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I had been with the company for the last three years and strangely enough, I’ve been dropped out of the account. Somebody changed my account and I got an email from the company saying, “Wait. Come back. We lost you.” I never had any intention of leaving the company because I signed a three-year contract. I never authorized that and it was a little disturbing how they just lost my account. I was calling end of last week and early this week but the line was busy. I had been getting 40 minutes' wait times. It also kept asking me to leave a number and for five days, I was leaving messages but nobody ever called me back. That was disappointing and a little frustrating too. That’s something they definitely need to improve on.

Yesterday was the first time that I directly called and some young lady luckily picked up the phone. She was very helpful and knowledgeable. She walked me through the process and reinstated my account. That was very professional and customer service-oriented. But I’m still curious to know how my account got transferred. But until I learned about reinstating my account, I had no issues with Just Energy. Service is good and even though the neighborhood might have a power shortage, I never experienced that one. So overall, my experience with them has really been good.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Just Energy was at Sam's Club and they explained what they had and the benefits. I was also getting a Sam's Club gift card there so I figured I would give it a try and see how it goes. The people there were very nice. The young lady was new and there was another gentleman helping her with the ropes or things she wasn't quite familiar with yet. But they did very well and they were good at answering my questions too. It's been two weeks and I haven't gotten a bill yet but so far, the service has been good. Our power flickered during the night but I figured that was because of the heat and people using more energy. But overall, I'm satisfied with Just Energy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2018

When I signed up with a representative at the Sam's Club, he clearly said that the rate is 12.1 cent per kwh but today I got the bill charging me 18.2 cent per kwh. Good at making me fool! I switched from Reliant which had a rate 12 cent per kwh with no contract. I have to wait another 11 months to say goodbye forever to you. Most probably join Reliant again.

Just Energy response

Hello Sunil, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. We'd like to help. Someone from our team will be contacting you soon. Thank you.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Today a salesman with this company bothered me at my home, and covered up that he was actually a salesman. He told me that he is with the company who provides gas to PG&E, and that they're checking in to make sure PG&E isn't overcharging consumers for the gas they (Just Energy) provide to them (PG&E). He asked me to get my energy bill to verify my rate. He also told me that he would ensure my rate was lowered. I told him that I am on a low-income plan through PG&E, and he said that I would keep my low income discount and they will lower my bill in addition. Once I found my bill he took it and called PG&E with my account number so that he could get personal information and sign me up, and I became very uncomfortable.

I Googled Just Energy to find out that this was actually just a salesman, showed him on my phone, and I told him I would like to look into this on my own. He left me alone after that. He bothered my neighbors as well and did not give us an option to say "no thank you" or "I don't have time," just that he would be back in 15 minutes once we find our energy bills. Come to find out, through Just Energy's Wikipedia page, they have been in a lot of trouble for deceptive sales practices. Consumers also report energy bills in fact going up. As a very low income resident I am very upset that this person bothered me at home out of nowhere and almost put an extra financial burden on me.

Just Energy response

Hello Torie, we regret your experience and would like to look into this. We have in place well-defined and communicated protocols designed to help all of our representatives abide by the highest standard in sales practices. We look to everyone representing our company to do so with absolute professionalism, integrity and honesty, beginning at the door. In fact, it is clearly expressed in our training process that sales reps are required at the door to identify themselves by name as a representative of Just Energy (or a JE company), ensure their badge is clearly displayed, disclose that the purpose of their visit is to sell natural gas or electricity supply, and that they are not affiliated with any local utility, the government or any consumer group (among a number of other criteria).

If you could please provide us with more info on the approximate time of the visit we can begin an investigation with the sales lead in that area. You can send us an email to pr@justenergy.com. We have also added you to our do not solicit list. Thank you.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Just Energy sent something in and l called them back. That was how it went and I'm satisfied with them. The price is about the same I'm accustomed to and overall, everything is fine.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I received exactly the same letter that Ron in Sacramento did changing my annual therm allowance from 1,000 to 1/10th that: 100! I live farther south so it arrived on 23 June 2018. I signed a contract on 23 Sept 2017 for gas procurement services at $5.99/ month for 60 months (i.e., expiring on 20 Oct 2022) for no more than 1,000 annual therms. My actual usage for the last 8 months (21 Oct 2017 - 20 June 2018) has been 441 therms, including 3 months (Dec, Jan & Feb) where usage was 90 or more per month; estimated usage based on prior years for the remaining 4 months in this first "annual" period is 35 therms for a total of 476. Check the web: these folk are well-known scammers! Ron & others in CA should file a complaint (as I did) with the California Public Utilities Commission - the CPUC is on to them. Go to https://appsssl.cpuc.ca.gov/cpucapplication.

Just Energy response

Hello Elizabeth, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our customer service team will be contacting you very soon to review your account with you. Thank you.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ran across Just Energy at Sam's Club and they were offering me a gift card so I looked into the services that they offered.

Original review: June 29, 2018

So we switched to Just Energy thinking we will have Lower bills. Because that’s what the sales lady told us at Sam's Club. Um yeah think again. We are in a two bedroom apartment. Our bill has increased by almost 200 dollars. Before switching to Just Energy we had a monthly bill of 115-128 for years now my June bill is 250 and my estimated July bill is 293 yes 293. On Wednesday we decided to switch back to previous company. And we received an email from Just Energy asking us to come back with a better deal and perks so we did but after login into my account and seeing my next bill will be 293 we are thinking about switching back for sure to my original company. I can’t do 300 for a 2 bed apartment that crazy. You guys are scammers.

Just Energy response

Hello Whitney, we are so sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look further into this. Someone from our team will reach out to you soon regarding your concerns. Thanks.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I'm not satisfied with Just Energy because they promised to send a gift card upon sign-up, but it never came. I also have called to get my online account fixed up it still isn't fixed. I try logging in and it tells me to verify by email but my email is correct.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 27, 2018

I want to cancel with Just Energy. I signed up because I had my gas disconnected for a few days. My action was preventative so their service would regulate my bill and it would be cheaper. Still, I didn't see any improvement. I talked to Semco and Just Energy was more expensive than them. I feel I'm better off with Semco.

Just Energy response

Hi Sadie, we're sorry to hear that our plan did not work out for you. We understand that a member of our resolutions team was able to cancel your account and address your concerns. If there's anything else that we can do for you please let us know. Thanks.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2018

I'm not satisfied with Just Energy because they promised to send a gift card upon sign-up, but it never came. Nevertheless, the service that they are providing is fine.

Just Energy response

Hi Duke, we do appreciate the opportunity to make things right. We understand that a new card has been mailed out to you at your correct address. If there's anything else that we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you.

Original review: June 23, 2018

We signed up for Just Energy being told we would "save money"... our bill increased 25% with Just Energy! (hidden fees). After a year, my job changed out of state (no covered with Just Energy) and we sold our house. The new owners did not want Just Energy and transferred service to their name to a different company. Just Energy sent us a new bill with $175 exit fee...this is ridiculous! It would be understandable if I have CHOSEN to go with another company - but I moved out of state and to a state you do not serve! In our new state Just Energy is NOT an option. Therefore they can't be my service here. When attempting to call them they have twice put me on ENDLESS holds that last hours and eventually, I just have to hang up because I have a LIFE. They do not want to do the right thing and reverse the exit fee.

What a Horrible company. Maybe I can get your attention by calling your 800 number 1000 times a day with an autodialer just to cause your company to have an added expense of the 800 phone connect fees. Or maybe just file claims in court injunctions against you and make your attorney fee increase FAR more than the wrongly billed exit fee... WHAT A HORRIBLE COMPANY... Thank you for ruining my day and making me spend multiple days away from doing my job and costing me even more - HORRIBLE!

Just Energy response

Hi Michael, we’re sorry to hear about this experience. We’d like to see if we can help. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you soon. Thanks.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My first contact with Just Energy began in August of 2017. Before then, I was paying $25 per month in gas procurement charges, so you can imagine how happy I was when a Just Energy rep rang my doorbell and told me that he would be able lower my charge to only $5.99 per month, and informed me that the other companies were overcharging their customers. Sure enough, on my November bill I was only charged $5.99, and I was a happy camper—-until today (June 22), when I received a letter from Just Energy stating that they were lowering the annual gas usage threshold from 1000 therms to a paltry 100 therms!

In my household, one winter month already eats up over 80 therms, which means that once my gas usage goes over 100 therms for the year, I would be charged extra and my rate would change. No mention was made of this “amendment” when I initially signed up, and my Afford-a-Bill plan Letter of Authorization (contract) specifically states that the term is for 5 years, and that I would be charged a flat monthly fee of $5.99 per month.

I thought I’d found the perfect gas supplier, but I guess I was wrong. This sounds a little like a bait-n-switch routine to me, where they lure you in with low rate to get you to sign up, and then turn right around and change the terms so that you end up paying a higher rate. I don’t know if this is considered a breach of contract or if it’s legal, but when I called Just Energy and spoke with a supervisor, she couldn’t tell me why they were doing this, but just basically said that if I didn’t agree with the change in contract terms, that I had the option to cancel my service and that they would process my request without charging an exit fee. So beware if you get a knock on your door from Just Energy.

Just Energy response

Hi Ron, we regret your experience. We understand that you were able to talk to someone from our team regarding your concerns. If there's anything else that we can do for your please reach out. Thanks.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Having heard about Just Energy at Sam’s Club, I wanted to try it and see if my bill would change. The rep working on sales also said that signing up with them could save us some money. We've had the system now for two months and so far, I have yet to take a look at the bill and see if there is much of a difference.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2018

Early May my husband and I was doing some shopping at Sam's Club and a couple of guys for Just Energy had stopped. Pitched a really great offer to sign up for Just Energy, showed us the perks and even offered a $45 Sam's card. Well although I satisfied with the company and its customer service, I feel misled and lied to. I had already had an Energy provider on my account and didn’t know that signing up would cause me to owe them $100. Also it’s almost July and I never even received the $45 Sam's card. Feel ripped off in a way and I asked before signing up was it a scam to get me to sign up, they said, "No."

Just Energy response

Hello Seybion, someone from our team has been trying to get in touch with you to review your concerns. We definitely would like the chance to help. We've sent you additional info in a private message. Thanks.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Just Energy is the only provider I've ever used and I haven't had any outages. I’m satisfied with my experience with them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 10, 2018

I had a service with them. For 4 months they overcharged me and lied to me. I paid everything through credit card in 2014, the balance was 0. Now is 2018 they put me through collections after 4 years for 52 dollars and never contacted me in 4 years, which I contact them when I closed my account as well all my accounts with Royal Bank, another crooks and thefts... All of you don't do any business with this crooks, just go and open a fraud account with Consumer Affairs as well, open a fraud investigation with Equifax, They are crooks and thieves, don't do any business with them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 8, 2018

I went with Just Energy when a guy came to my door. He said my bill will be 29.99 a month. Now I'm pay over 50 a month. They are complete scam artist. Don't trust what they say. It looks like I'm getting charged by them and PG&E for the same gas. They are double dipping. Don't sign up with this company.

Just Energy response

Hello Zach, we're sorry you feel that way. We'd like to see what we can do for you. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you soon to review your plan.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Just Energy had a stand set up at a Sam’s Club and I talked to a rep there. They had pamphlets and an iPad to fill out everything. The incentive was that if I signed up for Just Energy, I would get a Sam’s Club gift card which would pretty much cover my yearly subscription to going to a Sam’s Club. So, if I signed up, Just Energy would basically give me a $45/year Sam’s Club card that I could just use to make purchases on. I thought everything had gone through just fine but there was an issue in making the transition to Just Energy from my current carrier BG Energy. They needed some more documentation and I didn’t fully understand what they needed from me. And so, I just didn’t go through with applying for everything. And I’m moving anyway in a month. So, I figured I’ll just redo it at that time.

Original review: June 6, 2018

They are getting 1 star since 0 stars is not an option. We have had a contract with Just Energy since 2007 and up until July 2017 everything was fine. We used the product, got an invoice, paid the bill. We had always been on the budget billing option and knew EXACTLY where our account stood. The account could be reconciled each and every month, add new usage, subtract payments and agree with the outstanding balance. This, as it should be, was a user -friendly option so in case of vacation etc. the payment could be made in advance and we knew our account was always current. Once a year there was a "settlement" month where any outstanding amount was settled or any credit was left to be used up over the coming months. Sometimes at this point the monthly budget amount would change due to changes in usage but it would then remain a constant amount until the next settlement month.

This all changed as of the June 2017 billing. This was now a new line on the statement of account "credit/debit to budget billing". Ever since this change the statement is impossible to balance... the outstanding balance keeps increasing, the budget amount changes and repeated calls to customer service resolve nothing. In October of 2017 we attempted to pay the outstanding balance. The response was to lower the budget billing amount. Another call to customer service... My outstanding balance is growing by the month, I ask about a settlement month. They inform me there isn't one. I ask "When am I ever going to catch up on the outstanding balance." The response is "NEVER". I am very disappointed in their new system for billing and "NEVER" will arrive in 2020 when our contract expires.

At that time, by my rough calculation, we will owe about $2500.00. We will be looking for a company that offers at the very least a bill that can be understood and reconciled with a budget amount that remains constant. After all, isn't that the whole idea of budget billing. With the rising cost of utilities comprising a significant part of our household budget we find this new billing method very confusing to us as customers. I also was not thrilled about the $2.00 charge per month for a paper statement. With the carbon tax added and increasing distribution/delivery costs this was another unwelcome charge each month. On one of my many calls to customer service we discussed this charge. The representative assured me this charge could be deleted from further bills and/or we could choose to access our account online.

We opted to be able to access our account online. Many attempts to register for online viewing proved futile. Another call to customer service... the $2.00 for billing has been deleted but I am not receiving bills and cannot access them online. I then find out the website on the account statement is not really the one I need to be using??? Really??? Could they make it any more complicated... That answer is... YES. They can. I finally get on the proper website, no apology, no explanation from the service rep... just matter-of-fact. This is the website you need. Register and log-in to our account. I am a very unsatisfied customer.

Just Energy response

Hello Carol, we sincerely apologize about your experience with Just Energy. As a valued customer we appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Someone from our customer service team will be contacting you soon. Thank you.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Somebody came over my home and promoted Just Energy. I asked some questions and they explained about its rates and later, they called me and contracted with me. The rate is cheaper with Just Energy.

Insufficient response received
Original review: June 5, 2018

In the summer of 2017, Just Energy had a booth/table at HEB in Sugar Land on Highway 6. Just Energy was promoting an electricity plan of "Free Nights 9 pm-7 am and a rate of 9.3kwh." They were handing out cards with this info on it. I still have the one they gave me. I signed up with Just Energy through the use of an IPAD. Somehow, the IPAD converted my plan to something else. Just Energy made a bunch of excuses and said that I signed for the Free Nights 9.3 promotion and that the bait and switch contract would get fixed. I then started dealing with a supervisor who eventually cut my bill in half in the beginning to try and fix the problem. Her name is Elena **. She acknowledged in emails that my issues needed to get fixed and that Just Energy didn't have a program to determine how much electricity was used at night versus during the day.

This October 2017 email is the last email she sent until May 2018. "I totally agree with you, the fix is taking way to long. My sincere apology, I’m still waiting for the new product (bundled Nights Free). At this time, if you provide me some more time ill waive half of your last invoice ($198.08 /2 = $99.04). Thoughts…" The whole marketing campaign appears to be a scam to get people to sign up and then bait and switch the customer and then try to wear him down with delays. After disappearing for 7 months, Ms. ** emailed the following: "I received your message and have your account flagged. I’ve been out of pocket, my apologies for the late note. I can give you a call tomorrow, what is a good time for you?"

She never called. I have made 2 or 3 calls to Just Energy since that email and have been told that a supervisor will call me back. As of right now, a supervisor has not returned my calls. I talked to a supervisor today who said she would call me back by 1:00 pm. Hopefully she will call me back. I do not recommend this company. As of today, I don't know what HEB's connection is to this company other than HEB let them inside their store to promote the "Free Nights and 9.3."

Just Energy response

Hello Blaine, we understand that one our customer service reps has spoken to you to review your account and address your concerns. We appreciate your feedback. If there's anything more that we can do please let us know. Thanks.

No response received
Original review: June 4, 2018

I have been with Just Energy for quite a while now. I did not have a problem with the company until a few months ago. I never had a problem recommending them to friends and family before now, but I'm seriously thinking of accepting an offer from a company that helps my community. I transferred my services to my new home in March. I was doing month to month and as I spoke with the saleswoman she convinced me to sign up for a contract. I didn't have a problem with this. Plus I was excited that I was blessed to be able to have them transferred the next day. Well I explained to the lady that the lights would be turned off at my old address 3 days later on the 21st at the old address. Well a month and a half later as I'm streaming through my emails, I see that I'm getting weekly updates for the old address.

It's been a month and half and you think I'm going to pay for services for someone else at a resident that I am no longer residing? It was supposed to be investigated but I see the account is still open for that address and another old address where I never moved in because the house was not livable, and once again I was told the services were definitely discontinued. I paid for the few days that it was on because the company that tried to rent out the house used energy for the 2 or 3 days it was in my name... And surprise.!! Another 53 dollar bill... How can I be charged for 2 residences when I only reside at one, and I paid the bills for both old addresses in March to have a clean slate and nothing jeopardizing me having to pay a deposit... I'm scratching my head on this one. 03/15/2018 $162.08 Credit Card (old residence). 03/07/2018 $188.54 Credit Card (old residence). 03/15/2018 $86.82 Credit Card (unlivable residence).

Just Energy response

Hello Georgeina, we regret your experience and would definitely like to help to make things right. Someone from our team will be reaching out to you very soon with a resolution. Thanks.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Incomplete information while adding for the flat rate 5.99 plan. Guys I am shocked seeing my bill, PG&E will charge money for transferring gas and Just Energy for Gas and at the end I am paying higher than the amount what I would have been paid without Just Energy. Can someone explain me about this, whenever I try to call Just Energy for cancellation or for any information nobody will lift phone and always same message they are on Holiday. I tried reaching them 100 times and all times they are on Holiday and luckily I tried to reach next stage. They’ll tell PG&E contact number, but no direct customer service for cancelling service, no response to emails... BEWARE.

Just Energy response

Hello Vikram, we regret your experience and sorry to hear that our plan did not work out for you. We understand that a member of our resolutions team was able to address and resolve your concerns. If there's anything else that we can do for you please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I went to Sam’s Club and then I saw some guys who told me about Just Energy. They said that because of the membership with Sam’s Club, it’s good for me. They also said I would get the membership for free and I would not have to pay a lot. They also told me each year I’m gonna get $45. With my previous company, I didn’t get anything. I just paid a lot of money. So I accepted. I've been with Just Energy for two months now and it's good.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My daughter said that I shouldn’t have made the change to Just Energy. When I made the change I also felt like I should have stayed with PECO and everything stays the way it was. There were two things that confused me being with Just Energy as I’m older, and I didn’t know why it had to be a change made from PECO. All my bills came from PECO and they took care of everything. And PECO is still sending a bill, but it’s a very slight one. And I’m paying as I go along and figuring that If I could, I’d go change and go back to having everything with PECO and not have anything else.

I like being with one company and it was my error. The girl asked to see my bill and I should never have shown her my bill because everything’s on it. What she was introducing was that it would be lower to pay but so far I had to pay the same. The bills from Just Energy are coming and I’ve been paying them off. I pay the same amount for PECO and Just Energy which are small. I’m dissatisfied because everything doesn’t come in on the one bill. When my daughter took over and called Just Energy, they were going to try it out for a certain length of time with the two bills. But I really wish that I hadn’t even started the thing in the first place because it was very hard for me to keep track of it. And if I made any changes, from what my daughter said after she talked with some of the people, it would be costly to change it back to PECO.

Just Energy response

Hello Ruth, we understand that one our customer service reps has spoken to you to review your account and address your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: May 30, 2018

When Just Energy said they had a better price than anybody else, I went and have them on both electricity and gas. I recommend them. They are fair and we have a good price with them.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses