It's that easy Get a Free Quote
3.56/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
View More View More

496 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Just Energy's rates are lower compared to other companies. My bill isn’t really that high. I would recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was approached by a Just Energy associate. I went with getting the service, but then realized I pay MUCH less than their quote. So I called the next day and discontinued the service. Now, when the associate was getting my information, he asked my social security number, and then said it WAS NOT FOR A CREDIT CHECK. Well, I get a stupid letter from them saying my credit score was bad and they cannot give me service... Well, 1. I discontinued the service the next day, 2. YOU RAN MY CREDIT! and 3rd my credit score is 714 (Equifax), so you are full of crap! And who the hell gave them permission to run my credit ESPECIALLY after you said you weren't? They are full of crap all the way around! I called and gave them a piece of my mind (got hung up on), and called back and made sure I was heard.

DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE! THEY LIE TOO MUCH! I hope they go out of business, and every one of them loses their job and goes homeless. I HATE LIARS in case you can't tell. Oh, and I have the letter they wrote saying they ran my credit, and my credit was not good enough. 714 is good credit, that lame company is just stupid and ran by dummies!

Just Energy response

Corporate and Consumer Relations of Just Energy was in receipt of your concern with Consumer Affairs regarding Just Energy enrollment. In wishing to address this matter with you, we have tried on several occasions to contact you by phone, unfortunately we are unable to get a hold of you. As a result, I have taken the opportunity to send you this message to extend an invitation for you to contact us. Thank you so much.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Just Energy showed me savings which would have saved me about $76 a month. The Just Energy gal at Sam's Club looked at my bills and said that they could take me on. But then I got a letter in the mail saying that they reviewed my electric usage and that they weren't able to provide me with service. Just Energy dropped me so I never had service with them. They said that my usage was too much so they wouldn't even take me on after I had signed up and paid the $25 to switch. So, I just went back with FirstEnergy Solutions.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

A sales rep just knocked on our door. He tried to tell me that he checked our meter and we're being overcharged. There's no way you can tell that from a meter. Then he said they're cheaper than anyone else around at $0.80/therm, which is nearly double their competitors. When I called him out on that, he said I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about. Stay away from this company, obviously nothing but scammers!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This company has the absolute worst service mindset that I've ever encountered in an energy company. I've only had service with them for less than 3 months and have already had billing errors, haven't received my bill and then been assessed a late fee and disconnection notice immediately after, and have sent emails and gotten automated responses saying that I will get a response in 2 days and then not even get a response until 3 weeks later... with a canned, unhelpful response.

Note: I have a near perfect credit score and pay all of my bills on time so I'm not just someone complaining because I don't want to pay my bills and then leave a bad review. This company does not have their customers' best interest at heart and they sound like corporate drones, reciting policy from a computer screen and not taking into consideration what's actually going on in real life. I will be switching companies today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have been a very happy customer with Just Energy for almost 3 years, but despite my online account saying that my contract is active, they stopped honoring it and over doubled my bill. I called 3 times and was on hold for long periods of time before customer service would answer, and they could not explain why my bill did not reflect my plan. They refused to honor what my online account says, so after being a loyal customer, I will be switching providers as soon as possible. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

Just Energy response

Thank you for contacting us. In order for us to conduct an investigation into the concerns raised, kindly respond with your address or at the minimum your city and state which allows us to forward your file the appropriate investigator. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

What interested me about Just Energy was that they were less expensive. They didn't charge for night use between 9:00 and 6:00 in the morning. But when I first got started, they messed up on the first bill and sent me a cancellation notice. I've never had any problem getting a hold of them though, and they corrected that mistake quickly. I've had them for a couple of years now and everything was okay up until July of this year. In fact, I've enjoyed the service. But when I was on vacation, somebody went in and said I wanted to change providers. So when I got home, I got a final bill from Just Energy saying that I was gonna be charged a certain amount for breaking the contract. I didn't even have a contract. It was month-to-month. But we finally got it straightened out.

I also asked who tried to switch providers but they said they didn't know. They gave me the the Public Utility Commission's number so after I got everything settled, I called them. They said that my service was never changed and that it was just one day. It went directly back to Just Energy. So it started to get weird. My final comment with Just Energy was to ask how much I owed. From the bill, they took $170 off which was the exit fee. I sent them a check of $102 and I haven't heard anything from them since. About a week after all that's happened, I got a Sam's card for $50, courtesy of Just Energy.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We signed up with them when CA deregulated some twenty years ago. They promised a much lower rate and then billed us at a higher rate. They wouldn't let us cancel at the time. Today we called to get information and they kept eluding our questions. We instructed them we wanted to cancel and Giselle, the rep., said we would be without electricity. We called S.C. Edison and they confirmed Just Energy Solutions was lying to us. Our electricity will automatically come from Edison at 6/10, the rate we were being charged.

Dear Gary,

After further review of your account we have submitted your request for cancellation effective immediately. Please let us know at if there is anything else we can help you with and reach out to us if you have any questions. Thank you

Resolution response: Sept. 6, 2018

This was miscommunication from another memeber of Just Energy and myself i was told 24 cents a killowatt but it wasnt that high although my bill did go up because my contract ended, it was not that high. They fully resolved this complaint and exceeded my expectations ,I received a call for Just Energy and the person i spoke with was very informative and understanding again this is resolved and a better outcome then i would have thought thank you

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

So I have been with Just Energy for many years. I moved into a new apartment and signed a new contract on 4/17. I realized looking through my bank account they were charging me .24 cents a kilowatt because I didnt resign my contract in May of 2018. I never received a letter or a phone call, they say they sent a letter but I never received so instead of trying to call me and asking me to resign they just start charging me more than double what I was paying which is .24 cents so I went from .11 cents to .24 cents. That shows how disrespectful and greedy this company is. All they keep saying is we sent a letter, are you kidding me. I will dispute this until they make it right by giving me my money back or by giving me credit. Very disappointing.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I signed up July 23. I received a call Aug 29 stating my bill was past due. I never received a bill. The lady answered and said, "Well, your account was set to 'no bill'," and I needed to choose paper or wireless. Whaaattt?! What a scam to set someone up with a new account and not bill so you can charge fees! She switched it to paper bill, said I would get it in 5 days to pay it. I was transferred to customer service to request late fee be removed (If you ever want to speak to an English speaking american hang it up, not even their own employees know how to transfer you to one.). I think the man finally understood what I was asking for but said he cannot help me until next month. I told him I would call back, just make a note on my account. He then proceeded to tell me that I must pay the bill right this minute.

I told him when a bill is in front of me that I can view I will pay it. He said that's unacceptable. And if I should have known my bill was going to be due at the end of the month. Mind you my automobile insurance is due on the 20th, my cell phone bill is due on the 22nd, my electric bill is due on the 10th. How on Earth am I to know that this company runs their bills from the first day to the last day of the month. I assume 30 days after I signed up I would get my first bill. Which is right around this time. I think this is a scam, who would even have an option in their system to not send bills to people? This is a way to get extra money from people. And nobody can tell me how much per day the late fee is. I was told when I signed up there will be no fee to cancel and I will be taking advantage of this.

Just Energy response

Hello Amanda, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. As a valued customer, we appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right for you. We will attempt to contact you again.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We were at Sam’s Club and we ran into one of the employees of Just Energy. What she said sounded like a good deal. She said our bill probably would not go over $100 and it would be the same price every month. I thought that was saving us quite a bit. But so far, I haven’t had that low bill she was talking about. The bill we got was $147 and that was quite a bit over for somebody using solar. I've been using them for only like one full month and I figured I’d wait another month and see how it would go. She also said that if we do decide we don’t want it anymore, we have to make sure we make the phone call or they’d charge us a fee to cancel out.

Just Energy response

Hello Nancy, we regret your experience and the inconvenience this has caused. We understand that someone from our customer service team has spoken to you and clarified the current plan on your account as well as our Early Exit Fee policy. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please let us know. Thanks.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I was solicited at my home. A salesperson asked me if I wanted to save money on my electric bill. He stated, I would still pay through my regular electric company, but would save money. What a scam! I was paying my bill regularly and am now receiving collection messages that I have not made a payment to Just Energy. I have received calls from the company; people who sound so low, that I cannot understand the message or people that sound like they were from India. Unfortunately, I have been scammed from someone from India which involved a tax bill, so I am very leery. This is absolutely a ridiculous plan. I want this to be settled! Don't trust Just Energy!

Just Energy response

Hello Heidi, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our Corporate Relations Department will be in touch with you to address your concerns.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Literally sat down to have lunch with my boyfriend, when I get a knock on my front door. It was a representative from Just Energy who got into my building because the lobby door was open. He proceeds to tell and show me (quickly, like a fake cop on a TV show flashing a badge,) all the people in my building who have been complaining about wanting lower bills. (I am at this point assuming this is someone associated with my building.) I told him that this wasn't a good time as I just sat down for lunch and basically was suckered into an account by being told that I'd save SO MUCH MONEY (in comparison to one meal - yes, he said that,) and that it wouldn't take much time to get my account situated. The representative was totally aggressive, a fast talker and I am a little peeved that I even allowed some stranger to get his sales claws into me.

An hour later, furious, I had a Just Energy account and I totally missed my lunch date. I was then told on the phone with a woman who was essentially finalizing my contract, "do you understand that you may NOT save money?" WHAT?! That's especially the only reason why I even got the account because I was PROMISED I would save money. Talked to my neighbors and was told that this was a straight up solicitation and to avoid these at all costs. So I call up today to cancel my account and, not only did this guy put my address wrong on my contract (so was it even a real contract?) I was LITERALLY told that the rate he told me was a lie and my bill would have gone up. After trying to give me other probably bogus perks and promotions I still solidified my cancellation. This company should be ashamed of itself.

Just Energy response

Hello Amber. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We apologize for your experience, which falls short of our marketing standards and expectations. We have in place well-defined and communicated protocols designed to help all our representatives abide by the highest standard in sales practices. We look to everyone representing our company to do so with absolute professionalism, integrity and honesty, beginning at the door. In those instances where our representatives do not live up to our marketing standards and codes, we will follow through with a comprehensive investigation and take any necessary corrective actions. As we’ve made multiple attempts at calling you directly, please feel free to call us back at the number provided in message left in your voicemail box.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Was approached while shopping. The gentleman presented this service to us, as being a savings we shouldn’t pass up. To keep this short, I will just say, we are angry, were mislead, and I want no part of this “scam”. Our bill went from .55 kwh to 1.77 kwh. No thank you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have been with Just Energy for 2 months and all I can say is stay away from this company. Like most it seems I was grabbed as was going by at Sam's. The rep asked me how much my electric bill was per kWh, I told him and he lit up with a huge smile, he couldn't wait to help me save money. I was excited, I have a big house and the TX heat can really run up a bill. I signed up right there cause his co-worker told me how low his bill was for the same house. Lo and behold two months later I am paying $200 more a month than my last provider. After talking to several reps about what I was told I got a credit, then was told my rate would be adjusted to keep me as a customer. A month same thing, I am then told that it was actually just a one time credit and they will review their training, but there was nothing that could be done for me even though I was lied to twice to get me as a customer. Stay away!

Just Energy response

Hello Ryan. We're sorry to hear about your experience with Just Energy. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Your satisfaction is our top priority. Thank you for allowing us to address and resolve your concerns.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I mistakenly sent a check for $23.92 instead of $23.93. The check cleared the bank but my account was not updated. I called twice and explained the problem with no resolution. I went to the bank to declare the check stolen and proceed with a fraud investigation but the bank called Just Energy and they convinced me to give them another shot to fix this. I just got an email telling me my account is delinquent and in order to avoid penalties and fees, and being sent to collections, I need to pay (again) that bill. I am headed to the bank in the morning, and then to a lawyer if necessary, to press charges against whoever deposited my check without crediting my account. I have confirmed that JE has my money, as the deposit info on the back of this check and the deposit info on the back of last month's check are identical.

Just Energy response

Hello Steve, we sincerely apologize about your experience with our company. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Our records show that your payment was successfully posted and an outbound call was made to inform you/ Thank you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

When I signed up with a representative at the Sam's Club, she clearly said that the rate is 14.4 cent per kwh but today I got the bill charging me 21.0 cent per kwh. They took advantage of me!! I switched from Amigo which had a rate 8.8 cent per kwh and missed the renewal date so it went up to 16.6, my bill was $722 and I was desperate for help, so I jumped at free nights and 14.4 per kwh. I asked if I could lower my rate if the rates went down. It was a definite yes! Well I got my bill, 21.0 per kwh and I now believe I made a huge mistake. Direct Energy is now at a 10.9 and free weekends. I'm looking to change.

Just Energy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Celinda. We apologize for your recent experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our team will be following up shortly to assist you with a resolution.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I looked at different suppliers on the internet and Just Energy was the lowest. They provided a three-year fixed rate for me and asked me to match the numbers but only for a period of time and after that, the numbers would change. Their team gave me everything I needed and whatever questions I needed to ask, they handed it right to me. I felt good with their customer service. If I see stuff that somebody could provide cheaper, I give Just Energy a call and weigh stuff with the other companies but so far, they are the best. They’ve done pretty good and if somebody has a problem understanding their bills or if their bills were too high, I’d look at their bills to see who their providers are and then I suggest Just Energy. They have treated me right so I share them to others.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was at Sam's Club and a gentleman offered me a $100 gift card to check Just Energy out. He told me that Just Energy would cut down my gas bill. I had other properties as well and I wanted to see what would happen with this one. However, it took me quite a while to get information that would show me the difference in the cost of gas and all of that with Just Energy as opposed to DTE. Then when I finally got the packet of information, I haven't received the gift card he said he was gonna give me. I'm getting ready to call Just Energy and stop this because nothing has been truthful so far. I'm not satisfied and I might as well stay with the gas company that I'm with.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had Just Energy and noticed my bill doubled. When I called I was told I was on month to month with a rate of 20 kilowatts compared to 9.8 that I had. I was not notified my contract had expired. They claimed it was sent out but I have been paperless for about a year. I feel that took advantage and I read another review that the same dishonest practice occurred. I will never recommend this dishonest company to anyone. Please beware of this company, if you work hard for your money do not throw it away on Just Energy.

Just Energy response
We sincerely apologize for your experience with Just Energy surrounding your option to renew.
We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to make things right.
Per our discussion this morning we will be mailing you an updated final bill showing your new balance.
This may take up to 48 hours to reflect but we will be mailing that out.

Let me know if this resolves everything for you or if there is anything else I can help you with.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had a similar experience to those who rated Just Energy poorly. I saw two charge placed on my account and called immediately since I already had service. They created a case and I did not hear a response at all. I called and emailed the PR email listed with the apologies except they do not reply. I was told that someone came to my house and that is how I was enrolled, how ridiculous is this?? There was no proof. I requested a refund and cancellation, the manager was told that they have had a lot of reps enrolling people for commission without consent. Be careful folk, how this fraud is allowed is beyond me.

Just Energy response

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve this matter with you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Just Energy came to my door and at the time, they were cheaper. Plus, they were friendly and knowledgeable. They lowered my bill when I originally got with them. I'd tell friends to look into it.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I had an account until today with Just Energy. My bill sky-rocked over last few months and is double last years bills so I called to investigate and I was told my rate was a monthly variable rate (August 18 rate 20.2) because my contract expired. I had no knowledge of this, was never notified and further my bills have not been viewable on their website. I can't see bills nor could I find the rate I was paying nor could I eliminate the auto pay feature as the website does not allow edits. I explained their website link to current and previous billings does not work but they were not interested in hearing this.

I thought that someone was stealing my electric or the air conditioning was in need of repair. Turns out they were responsible. They state they notified me last November about my January contract expiration but I never received anything from them. They offered a 127.00 credit for August but this was unacceptable as they overcharged my approximately 800.00 in the last four months alone. I asked the rep to contact supervisor and requested a 300.00 credit to resign and they refused.

Just Energy response

Hello Michael. We value your relationship with Just Energy. Your satisfaction is our top priority. We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to resolve your concerns. We kindly request for you to update the rating based on your overall satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Just Energy told us their rate was gonna be lower than Semco. We signed up at our old place right before we moved and we've only been here for a few months, but Just Energy has been good so far. Their team was very polite and nice, and they explained everything. We are very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My previous energy provider was kinda expensive so I switched to Just Energy. When I interacted with the first lady from customer service, it was okay but she got it mixed up because my electricity gas turned off. It wasn’t turned back on for a couple of hours. There was a turn-off notice and then it came back on. I called to tell them to turn the electricity gas back on because I have Just Energy. So I do not like that one at all. But their customer service rep was nice. They were very pleasant. They solved the problem the second time I called in.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I worked with Just Energy after a friend told me that it's a good company. Since having the service, everything has been okay so far.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I liked the presentation and the benefits that we were going to receive from Just Energy, like the natural gas issue where they would freeze the prices for three years. When I switched to them the transition has been really good. The gal that worked with us at Sam's was wonderful. Her presentation, mannerisms and everything else was very good. I would recommend them. They are good listeners. They are willing to work with people and they share information in a very positive way.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I like Just Energy. They came to the door and they were good. I didn’t understand what it was about or what they did, but the person who talked to me was very convincing and I trusted that it wasn’t any scam. Somebody else came and tried to overdo them and I didn’t know what I was doing 'til I talked both to them and Just Energy. So, I just blocked the other person out and went with Just Energy. Now, I noticed the service costs lower. I like the perks that they give back. It helps out with buying appliances for the house and making savings on our E bill. This year, we’re saving for more insulation in the basement, so it helps. Just Energy is also honest.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My husband switched our electricity after being approached at Sam's Club. We were typically paying about $300/month. Our projected bill for this next month was showing $596 and I checked it again today and it's well over $600. This is INSANE!!!! We will be calling to cancel very soon. There best not be a cancellation fee as they scammed us and also the website states if you call to exit, there's no exit fees.

Just Energy response

Hi Shawna, we are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to help. Someone from our team will reach out to you soon to review your account. Thanks.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was looking up alternate energy companies online and read that Just Energy's impact on the environment is better. Plus, their website is well put together. So, I signed up with them and their team was very professional. They joked with me and tried to make me feel comfortable. They were wonderful people. This is my first time having an energy in my name, so far, Just Energy is better than other companies.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses