3.72/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Just Energy

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, solar, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, and the UK, serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

336 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I lived in Pennsylvania and had electric service with PECO (Pennsylvania Electric Company). I relocated and cancelled my PECO account. Then I just received a cancellation bill from Just Energy, stating I owed them a cancellation fee. I never signed up for Just Energy. There is no document that was signed by me to enroll in Just Energy. The reviews say that Just Energy is a scam.

Just Energy response

Hello Derrick, we’d like to help. Someone from our customer service team has tried contacting you with additional information. We’ve sent you a private message with more info.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I signed up with Just Energy and my experience has been very smooth. I still get my bill through my regular electric company and the rate per kilowatt hour is about the same as it was when I was using dirty electric. As a bonus I got two free light bulbs and a $25 gift card from their perks program in the mail. Nice surprise, but I signed up to help clean up the environment, so I am a satisfied customer.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I've signed with Just Energy solutions with a guarantee of a smaller bill. My bill came today and it's the highest it's ever been since I've lived in my house. Mind you I have been at my address for over 3 years now. This is not cool at all. I was barely making it before Just Energy being a single mom. I totally regret ever signing with you guys.

Just Energy response

Hello Christy, we regret your experience and definitely want to help. Someone from our customer service team has tried to reach out to you to discuss to review your account. We have sent you additional info via a private message. Thanks.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Two of the representative came at my doorstep and as I was not at home (as they came during weekdays noon) they filled up the form by gathering my info from my wife by saying they are coming from PG&E. My wife inform them that she cannot give her consent without having a discussion with me, so asked them to come in the evening hours. When I came back from office she told me about the incident.

After sometimes the Just Energy representatives came to my place and showed me the details in their tab but I informed them that I don't want to have their service and want my details to be removed from their system, which they assured me that they will start the service and I will be getting the confirmation from them within a week. BUT from the next months onwards I can see their service activated on my account and I am getting charged by Just Energy now.

So can anyone please help me and guide me in how can I registered a complaint against them and where?

Just Energy response

Hello Ritesh, we regret your experience and do apologize for any upset or inconvenience this has caused you. We have in place well-defined and communicated internal protocols designed to help all of our representatives abide by the highest standard in sales practices. We have shared your feedback with our team and will follow through with an investigation with our sales lead in that area.

We also understand that someone from our customer service team has reached out to you with a resolution. If there is anything that we can do please let us know at pr@justenergy.com.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Two people representing Just Energy came to my door around 8 PM. When I answered, they told me they were there on behalf of my utility company to see if I had been enrolled in its new "gas perks program." The verification of enrollment was on my last bill, could they see it please? I asked them what this new program was and one of the solicitors waggled a badge in my face while the two of them ignored my questions and repeatedly demanded that I get a copy of my last bill. By the fourth time they asked me to show them my bill we were all very exasperated with each other. When I told them I paid my bills electronically the woman with the badge rolled her eyes and the gentleman with her asked me if I could access it for them.

At that point, realizing they weren't going to answer my (I thought reasonable) questions about this mysterious perks program that my utility company apparently needed to verify I joined in person, I told them "no thank you" and that they needed to leave. After closing the door, I immediately began researching Just Energy and found that they are in no way affiliated with my utility company. So why were they saying they were? Afterwards, I could hear this pair was knocking on every door in my apartment building pitching the same "perk program" line.

I'm not sure who let them in. The apartment complex I live in has a strict no soliciting rule. This is posted on signs around the property in obvious locations. My initial confusion regarding their pitch was because 1. They claimed to be affiliated with my utility company (which was a lie) and 2. Solicitors are not allowed on the property. They blatantly ignored the rules. I called the apartment management to inform them that solicitors from Just Energy were on the property. I hope they got caught and kicked out.

Just Energy response

Hello Emily, we apologize for not responding sooner as we never received notification of your review. We would like to investigate this immediately. We regret your experience, which falls short of our marketing standards and expectations. We have in place well-defined protocols designed to help all of our representatives abide by the highest standard in sales practices. We would like to follow up on this as soon as possible. Please send us an email to pr@justenergy.com with the date of the visit and we will investigate with the sales lead immediately. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I was suppose to have the cheapest plan which was a lie. First bill came out to $159 never had a bill that high then my next bill come out to $319 being a single mom how could I pay that seriously. Customer service takes forever to reach and I never got my visa prepaid card in the mail either.

Just Energy response

Hello Julianna, thanks for reaching out. Customer experience is extremely important to us. Someone from our customer service team will get in touch with you regarding your concerns. Thanks.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I called in May and told them I wanted my service ended on June 30 and did not want to renew my contract with them. Even though I did not renew my contract with them they say I wasn't specific enough about cancelling services. I said I didn't want to renew my contract on June 30, how could that mean I still wanted electricity! Additionally I never answered any of their subsequent emails and phone calls about renewing the contract. When I got my bill for July, when I wasn't living at the address, I called in and asked them to withdraw the bill and they said they could not unless I proved to them that I called in and cancelled. How am I supposed to do that months later?? A ridiculous waste of my time. I will not be using them again in the future!

Just Energy response

Hello Matthew, we understand that someone from our customer service team has tried contacting you to resolve your concerns. If there is anything else that we can assist you with, please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have not yet been able to contact PSEG or Just Energy, and I'm hoping that my bill will be lowered once I'm able to touch base. My bill varies between $50 and $150 pretty typically. In the Summer, I see it reach about $150. This is my first bill with Just Energy and it is $660 for less than 20 therms of gas and about 1000 kwh of electric. My bill states that approximately $60 of the bill is the charge for electric and $20 is attributed to gas. (Last month, I paid approximately $150 for very similar usage.) The bill reads that approximately $580 is a charge from Just Energy. I was promised lower rates and all of the information that representative gave me made it seem like I would at the very least pay the same price I was consistently paying before. This is completely unacceptable.

Just Energy response

Hello Lauren, we understand that someone from our customer service team was able to get a hold of you regarding the error and credit. If there's anything that we can help you with, please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thanks.

Original review: July 31, 2017

While shopping at Sam's Club, I was approached by a man asking if we supported green energy. I said yes and he said Sam's was offering a $70 gift card just for signing up and there would be no cost whatsoever to us because it is a benefit of being a Sam's Club member. It was also stated that this is offered through the government for supporting green energy. I fell for the scam and signed electronically on his iPad. I researched it after we left and felt so stupid. I tried to call and cancel and they were already closed. I emailed and got an auto reply. My husband called Sam's and were told it already went through electronically from me signing. I feel sick to my stomach for being so dumb. I hope we can get this cancelled soon without there being any cost involved but I am afraid of how much time and effort it will end up taking.

Just Energy response

Hello Teri, we'd like to help. Someone from our customer service team will reach out to you. We've also sent you additional info via a private message.

Original review: July 31, 2017

While shipping I was approached by a Just Energy representative. I advised her, I already have existing service through Just Energy. She informed me the company has a Perks Program and to contact the perks department to become registered. I called the following Monday. The Perks representative said they only "deal" with customers who are already registered through the program and proceeded to transfer me to the customer service department through the company. The representative who answered, advised me she will email me the activation and to allow 7 business days. Fast forward 2 weeks, I called the perks department again to see if there was something I missed. I checked my spam, and regular email and I have NOT received the activation for the perks program. The perks department transferred me again to the CS department who transferred me to a specialty dept.?

After 30 minutes of being transferred AGAIN BACK TO THE PERKS department I hung up the phone. My frustration lies with how difficult it is to sign up for a program, which I was told was for customers like me. I pay on time, I've been with the company for YEARS. Why is it the employees don't seem to know how to register a customer via phone or via the website? Why does it take so long to receive the activation email? Why all the back and forth transfers from one department to another? Why can't the perks department register customers themselves? I am very disappointed with this particular service. I bet the perks apply as of the day you sign up. Funny how with every effort I have been making, almost 1 month has gone by, and they had NO problem with Just Energy emailing my invoice, But emailing me the activation for their perks program? A WHOLE other STORY!

Just Energy response

Hi Myra, we understand that someone from our team was able to connect with you to explain the Perks program. We hope that they were able to resolve your concerns. Thanks again for your feedback as we're always looking at ways to better serve our customers. If there's anything else that we can do for you, please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I had just signed up for Just Energy after one of their representative came to my Front door and said It's a Flat Rate Gas providing company, other than PG&E, He did NOT say: 1. There is a Limit on amount of Gas. I will have to consume (500 therms per year), they just said Flat Rate billing irrespective of consumption. 2. Delivery charges from PG&E that are almost like the one you pay regularly, SO I ended up paying Double charges even for a small amount of Gas (I consume around 20 Therms per month in summer). 3. Then after my 1st billing cycle, having seen the bill, I had called them immediately and requested for Cancellation. They said standard reply... Wait for 1-2 more billing cycles to take off this Just Energy, So you are locked with them for No mistake of yours and somebody giving Incomplete Plan info and Non-Transparent practices.

I am going to taking this issue with Consumer forum, and also in Neighborhood social forum (NextDoor) educating other my neighbors so that this company won't cheat others like this.

Just Energy response

Hello Suresh, we understand that Elodia from our customer service team was able to get in touch with you regarding your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

No response received
    Original review: June 23, 2017

I recently moved and had to cancel my service, which I was already unhappy with to begin with. I called before we moved to have my service cancelled, WHEN I SIGNED UP. I was told there was NO cancellation fee, which is what sold me on signing up. I called a few months into my term with Just Energy because I heard another energy supplier had lower rates, they were unable to give me what they were offering and I asked, if they offer me something lower is it free to cancel. The associate I spoke with said, "THERE IS NO CANCELLATION FEE UNDER YOUR CONTRACT."

I have a signed copy stating that there was no cancellation fee. I keep getting calls from Just Energy trying to get a cancellation fee out of me. When I offer to fax them over the signed copy of the paper stating that there is no cancellation fee, they tell me they do not care about that. They WILL NOT be getting another penny from me. I will not pay the cancellation fee. They call me 3 times a day. I am sick of this and I will be sure to tell everyone I know NOT to sign with them.

Just Energy response

Hello Staci, we regret your experience and would definitely like to help make things right. Someone from our customer service team has attempted to connect with you. We've sent you a private message with additional details. Thank you.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Scammed since 2008. And me and my husband just found out YES in 2017!!! My husband was scammed into believing that there was a shortage in gas and he was given an amazing price. He signed an agreement on 6/2/2008 and on 6/3/2008 called and cancelled the contract. You have 30 days to cancel. Well they never cancelled it and even when I called to complain in 2010 they still continued to bill us. We are in contact with a supervisor and hope that they will make this right by giving us our money back. Again verbal cancellation is ok and that was done so we should have never been charged. We want every dime back from 2008 to today!

Just Energy response

We’ve been trying to resolve this customer’s issue for several weeks now. We have researched and investigated everything shared by her and have been working diligently towards arriving at a reasonable resolution. The matter is now being managed by our legal team.

No response received
    Original review: May 19, 2017

I had just signed up for Just Energy April 1, 2017. My bill was supposedly supposed to come down to around $32. My bill this month was around $96. I called Just Energy to inquire why my bill is so high. I understand I have to pay my Gas carrier who happens to be PG&E for delivery of the gas but the delivery charge was $56. When I asked for some explanation the customer service woman was so rude I had to cancel. Then she stated it would be one to two months before my cancellation would go through. She was just very rude all around. So much for trying to be nice to one of those solicitors at my door. A solicitor who shouldn't even be soliciting in my neighborhood.

Just Energy response

Hello Cheryl, someone from our customer service team has tried reaching out to you to provide a resolution. We've sent you a private message with additional information.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: May 18, 2017

I wish to register my displeasure with the billing system and the bill amount I have received since taking a decision to switch to Just Energy. Before now, the highest bill I had received was $135 because it was in the winter season. Despite that I hardly stay at my one bedroom apartment because I stay often at my family house, since joining JE 2 months ago, my bills have been constant $177.19 and these displaced my budget and it's against the reason I moved after been told by the rep that their rate of calculation was lower compared to what I had. I have never owed bills, but I think I've been moved towards that now. I called the customer service and the guy spoke nicely and respectful, but promised that this will be lowered in my next bill. I just got another now, same amount. He gave me new rates to expect and an agreement no. **. Please if an officer from Just Energy is reading this, please help.

Just Energy response

Hello Francis, we understand that one our customer service reps has spoken to you regarding your account and was able to resolve your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

No response received
    Original review: April 19, 2017

A lady knocked at the door. She stated she was sent by my utility company to check and see if I had responded to the message on page 2 of my bill, and to ensure that your company logo was on it. I stated that if she was from an energy supply company to enroll me, I had no interest. She then reiterated that she was sent to see if the logo was on page 2 and could I go get a bill? I stated that I don't show my bills to anyone that knocks on my door. She showed me her solicitor's license to verify she was doing business for my energy provider. I stated that it was a soliciting license and in no way stated she worked for National Grid.

She again requested that I get my bill. I said, "Ok, but I am not signing anything." She then turned and walked away stating, "If you want higher bills and your price changing every month." Therefore I am left to deduce that she was trying to sell me this product. She was not affiliated with my energy provider. I do not do business with companies are deceptive and a deceptive sales practice lends only to deceptive business practices. She was obviously lying.

Just Energy response

Hello Loretta, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We apologize for your experience, which falls well short of our marketing standards and expectations. We have in place well-defined and communicated internal protocols designed to help all of our representatives abide by the highest standard in sales practices. In fact, it is clearly expressed in our training process that independent contractors are required at the door to identify themselves by name as a representative of Just Energy (or a JE company), ensure their badge is clearly displayed, disclose that the purpose of their visit is to sell natural gas or electricity supply, and that they are not affiliated with any local utility, the government or any consumer group (among a number of other criteria).

In those instances where independent reps do not live up to our marketing standards and compliance codes, we will follow through with a comprehensive investigation and take any necessary corrective actions.

We would be very interested in following up on this. Please send us an email to pr@justenergy.com with the date and approx time of visit and we will follow

up with sales lead in that area. Thank you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: April 4, 2017

I have been with Just Energy over a year now and it has been pure Hell! Every month I have to call in to get an explanation of why I have all of the fees on my bill. Very Rude Customer service representatives. I have requested several times to have a bill sent out to me but I never receive a printed copy of my bill. Also I never requested to have any bills sent by email. Please stay far away from Just Energy!!!

Just Energy response

Hello Brittany, we understand that one of our Customer Service Reps has spoken to you to and confirmed that you had no current concerns. We appreciate the feedback that you provided to our team. Please let us know at pr@justenergy.com if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you.

Resolution response: March 22, 2017

A representative did get in touch with me and issue has been resolved. I would like to point out that even that person had to get clarification because unsure how billing was calculated. If credits could be shown on statements or call center knew how to explain this could have been avoided. I was at the point of cancelling my account over this. This should have never gone on this long. But in the end it worked out
    I am satisfied with the results but not the whole experience

Thank you and I'm back to being a happy customer

Original review: March 8, 2017

I was promised a $75 credit from company to be given over a 3 month period ($25/month). What they are doing is just taking $25 month less from my budget amount, while my actual balance grows higher. If I was actually receiving a credit, that amount should be subtracted from my balance. Phoned several times to discuss and wanted to speak to a manager. Was told managers do not deal with these issues. I thought that is what management is about. Their way of thinking of a credit is a lot different than mine. Can a manager please respond.

Just Energy response

Susan, thank you for providing feedback about your experience. We have shared this information with our team and will use it to improve our customer experience.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: March 2, 2017

I was in a roommate situation and we are both moving out, the electricity was in his name and he had it transferred to his new place. Since I was staying for one more month, I had prepaid Just Energy for one month so I didn't have a power disruption. At 10 this morning my power was shut off, when I called after being on hold for 20 mins they apologized and said my power would be back on in 2 to 6 hours.

I got home at 6pm to no power. I called them and they told me to call CenterPoint. I called CenterPoint to find out they never sent an order to have my power restored. I called them back again and got the same 2 to 6 hours. I called CenterPoint to check the status after 2 hours and they said they don't have an order and even if they got one, they won't restore my power until tomorrow after 8 am and to call them back then. Everything in my freezer and refrigerator is destroyed, no lights for the entire night even though I've already paid for it. This company is a disappointment and I will never use them again.

Just Energy response

Hello Leslie, we understand that one our customer service reps has spoken to you previously to address your concerns. Someone from our team will reach out to you for additional info regarding your lost groceries.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Will have more orders soon since tower is now repaired. I enjoy the art of cost saving in regards to energy efficient LED Lighting around the home. THANKS a lot for MAKING this ALL POSSIBLE... VERY RESPONSIBLE to say the least. Maybe as technology improves in time, we will see cost efficient ways of heating homes in the winter months as well as cooking on the range. Keep up the ventures in the great state of Michigan.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Services was transferred as I requested it. Turned off day I requested it turned off. Good customer service. Will recommend to family and friends. My apartment warm and cozy. My daughters enjoy it here. You all keep up the good work you are doing at Just Energy. Have a blessed day.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Trying to get my visa prepaid card. Thanks. I tried calling but haven't been able to get whatever text I'm supposed to get from your company. How long does it take for you guys to get back to your customers. Don't mean to sound rude but I signed up in December.

Just Energy response

Hello Gilberto, we understand that a member of our customer service team spoke to you and was able to resolve your concerns regarding the perks program. If there is anything else we can do for you please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I haven't had any problems with Just Energy and I like the bills so far.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I've got an appointment for some electric in my name through Duke but I did it through Just Energy. However, I only had it on for about four days. It was good but I had to turn it off because I didn't stay there.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I have always dealt with the most polite and friendly people when I call customer service. They really seem to want to help the customer and they respond quickly. Thank you for your excellent customer service and exceptional quality of product.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

Enjoyable experience with good representation. Definitely pleased with the process of the enrollment... Was quick and easy. Looking forward to using Just Energy and in short Just Energy has great products and I highly recommend! Thanks and keep up the great work!!!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I purchased a home in Killeen, closed on 12/28/16 and had set up my electric online, having spoken to someone who was supposed to get me the best plan. Yesterday, I got my bill emailed to me and it was for TWELVE DAYS and was three times what I had agreed to and had been quoted. I am a senior citizen, on a fixed income and at this rate, I won't be able to buy food. There is no way I used a month's worth of energy (proposed by the 'helpful' rep). I never used my stove, my dishwasher, my vacuum, and just purchased an energy efficient washer/dryer on 1/1/17. I am the only person here and to say I used nearly 600 watts of energy in 12 days is ludicrous. I will be contacting them and advising them that I cannot afford this 'budget plan' and I am getting out of this contract. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Just Energy response
    Hello Karen, someone from our customer service team has tried contacting you to address your concerns. We've sent you a private message with additional information.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I moved to the new address above and decided to try Just Energy. There was a switch hold on the address. Your CS Dept sent me a form. I filled it out and sent back the required paperwork within an hour of receiving it. I was told 48 hrs the hold would be removed. I called on Monday to find out my paperwork had never been processed. Now my lights will be off because the landlord is turning them off and I will have no electricity for up to 3 days because your company didn't do their job and process the paperwork.

Just Energy response

Hello Kristina. We sincerely regret your experience and appreciate your feedback. We understand that a member of our customer service team was able to address and resolve your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Joining Just Energy was the best thing I have done in a while, no longer surprised to see my bill. Which was not the case before. I am on fixed income and now I can afford to not cut back on my food for the month. Thank you Just Energy for making this possible.

Just Energy response

Sandra, we're delighted to read your feedback about Just Energy! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the best value for our customers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Customer service is great. Employees are always very friendly and helpful. Employees always make sure you have an understanding of what is going on. The reward program is great. I love that I can earn gift cards for places I love just for paying bills.

Just Energy response

Samantha, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We're happy that you're enjoying your service and our rewards program!

Just Energy Company Information