Call toll free
3.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
View More View More

626 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 17, 2019

I heard about Just Energy from a promotion from Home Depot, and I picked them. Though I haven't started yet, their team seemed pretty knowledgeable and they explained all of my options.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

In April 2018 a person was knocking my door promising my bill will be cheaper with them, so I give a try. Since I switch my bill doubled the price. They lie to get customers promising lower gas bill. So a month ago I called the number to cancel their service. They still charging. They said cause it last 2 last bills to stop charging. This is rip off cause if today I cancel my phone, my electricity or whatever service they just stop but this company still charging money. Basically you are giving your money free for this scumbags. :/ I'm so mad this so called company fooled poor people. They steal money from hard earn workers. :/ Hope they refund the money they had steal.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Just trying to contact someone is a nightmare. Their Customer Service is lacking in all departments. I tried to enroll as a "New Customer", I've spent more time on the phone just trying to find out my Account Number or if my service has started: I get. "It should be on tomorrow." This began 4 April, today is 14 April. They took my deposit on 10 April, they state now, they are not showing it being paid and can I send them a copy of my Credit Card Statement!!! Are you Serious?!?! You've charged me, but you can't find it. What a Mickey Mouse Company! DO NOT SWITCH TO THEM!

Just Energy response

Hello. Can you please provide a good contact number and someone will reach out to you to go over any and all concerns. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2019

November 2018 I was approached by a Just Energy representative about switching my service. After going over their rates I decided to give them a try and allowed them to run my credit. They did not approve me for unknown reasons so I remained with my provider Gas South. Fast forward to February-March 2019 I receive a collection’s notice in the mail from Just Energy stating that I owe them $200+ or they will disconnect my service. This completely confused me as I do not have service with them and have continued to pay my provider Gas South without issue. I called Just Energy and they admitted fault and stated that they submitted a "ticket" to their back office to get this situation rectified and that I will hear back from them within a week. I never heard back from them.

Towards the end of March I contacted Gas South to make my payment and to figure out why my gas service was turned off. I was informed that my gas service was switched in February and that my new provider must have disconnected my service. I, in turn informed them that they are my only provider and that I had not switched my service and was baffled that something like this could happen without my consent. I called Just Energy AGAIN only to find out that the account is still active. They again admitted fault and stated that they will close the account immediately. I informed them that they would be responsible for any reconnection fees from Gas South as I had to open a new account with Gas South because they closed my account without my consent. They agreed and said to contact them in 30 days. That is unacceptable.

Today, April 12th 2019 I received a new disconnection notice from Just Energy stating that I owe them $241.88 and that they are going to disconnect my service on April 29th 2019. I attempted to call Just Energy again and their automated system stated that I owe them $445.31. That's a lot of money that NEVER provided any gas services. I just had my service turned back on by Gas South on April 10th because I had to wait for an appointment slot to connect the service again. At this point I am going to contact a lawyer. I've given them enough time and chances to fix their error.

Just Energy response

Hello. Someone from our organization will reach out to you over these concerns soon.

Original review: April 11, 2019

For starters they have these guys going door to door impeding on people's lives to promise things they do not deliver. I signed up for the service due to lack of info and the 100% guarantee from the salesperson that this would lower my bill with PG&E. After the first month my bill skyrocketed. I decided to give it some time to see if this was true and my bill would lower. Here I am month 3 with seriously high bills that I cannot afford to pay. I have never in my life paid this much for gas service. I live paycheck to paycheck. I call the company today demanding answers.

The guy had no idea what he was talking about. Told me if I cancel they will bill me $69. I ask for what? Give me answers about what I am actually paying for. He tells me he has no info and has to submit a service request. What? You can't tell me what I am being billed for? Wow. Asked for a supervisor or someone with more info 5 times and he refused to transfer me saying they would only give me the same info.

I work in customer service and if a customer is not happy and requests a supervisor I get one on the phone, bottom line. I feel bullied and upset and helpless. Still no answers. If these guys show up at your door don't answer. I want to save anyone I can the hassle I am going through. I also called PGE who says Just Energy is a legitimate company but they can't help me either. This is unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: April 11, 2019

I would not use this company for two main reasons:

1. It is challenging to get anything done with them. It took me three phone calls to finally end my services with them even after my contract had officially ended.

2. Their automatic renewal service rates for gas and electricity were about 80% higher than any other competitors, which started automatically if they were not contacted after your contract end-date. Anti-virus subscriptions do this same tactic and it preys on those, such as older adults, who do not check their bills often as long as the gas/electricity is on.

I, for one, will not be coming back to their services.

Original review: April 6, 2019

A salesman rang my doorbell and asked to speak to who pays the energy bill. I asked why? He said they needed to see the bill because of deregulation in California and that they could save me on my energy bill. I asked him to take my address off his list and he said they only way he could take my address off his list was if he could see the electric bill. This company sends out its salesmen and then lies to try to get your business. I would never trust a company that does this. I am going to record the next one that comes to my door.

Original review: April 3, 2019

A young female came to our door promoting Just Energy. Answering the door, I listened to her pitch and then asked for a business card or literature about the company. She replied that it had been a long day and did not have either. About that time my wife, who was working out stopped, came to the door (I went back to watching the evening news) and stated that we were not interested and were very happy with our current provider. The young female asked my wife who the provider was to which my wife replied, "I don't need to tell you." With that, the young female said that my wife was rude and felt sorry for her. My wife then closed the door.

Hearing this, I went outside to asking for her name and badge number due to her attitude with my wife. She immediately said that she was only doing her job, she was trained to rebuttal and that I was harassing her. She also pulled out her cell phone and said she was videoing me. This didn't bother me since I was still on my property and did not curse or threaten her. She never gave me her badge number. Oh yeah, there was another female salesperson across the street and she said she was calling the cops due to my harassment. My wife was already on the phone with the police and they stated there was no other call about this incident. If this is the way they train their salespeople I can only imagine how their customer service would be after a contract is signed.

Just Energy response

Hello Mr. Herr. A representative from our company will be contacting you soon to go over your experience and concerns.

Hi Mr. Herr, thank you for speaking with me. I received the image via email. I'll be further investigating this matter and please contact me directly if you have any more concerns or questions. Thank you again and my sincerest apologies for this customer experience.

Original review: April 3, 2019

We had Spark Energy and we were paying more, so we switched over to Just Energy. They are good and we haven’t had any problems so far. Our monthly bill is now always $25 to $30 cheaper. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Just Energy was recommended by a friend who has them and I have been with the company for about a year and a half now. My experience with them has been good. I’ve had TXU and other ones, but it is easier for me with Just Energy than any other companies. However, the monthly billing is a little more expensive than the pay-as-you-go deal that they had, but it is still better pricing than the other companies -- they are the best-priced in comparison to the rest. I liked it a lot better when it was on the prepaid plan, though. It was a lot cheaper for me that way.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 31, 2019

I returned home from work to find a young man from Just Energy on our porch talking with my wife. He was looking at our utility bill to see what our "savings" would be. I asked "Do you have written information about the company?' He said "no". I asked "Do you have a copy of the agreement we can review?" He said "no". I asked "Is the agreement was available online?" He said "no". I explained that since he was asking us to commit to spend money without any written agreement and no literature to review, I TOLD HIM "NO". He left. My next bill from Duke Energy, our regular provider, showed a charge from Just Energy for $210.67. I will call the Ohio Attorney General's office first thing tomorrow.

Original review: March 29, 2019

When they came to my neighborhood promoting assistance for low income families, I was interested in what they were offering. I was told my gas bill would be reduced and save money especially because we were low income. I am a senior citizen on a limited income. Why would I sign up for a service where I am paying 2 payers? Paying 2 payers defeats the purpose of saving money. I was never told I would be paying two payers. Using these types of predator practices on seniors and low income people is an atrocity. Using the gas company to collect your fees is robbery, because I have to pay that bill if I want to continue to receive heat in my home for bathing, washing, eating and keeping my children, grandchildren and myself warm.

By adding yourself as a third party biller ensures your payment. I called in Feb and demanded to discontinue and nothing. I called again in March and same sing and dance about the billing cycle. I have not been able to buy meat, vitamins and children's' medication in order to pay your scamming fees. I am going to file a complaint to the CPUC because I want my money back that your company stole from me and the mouths of my children and grandchildren. Also, I am going to contact a class action attorney to review your practices and show them all the complaints of fraud, misleading, falsely representing your services.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2019

We found a lady offering Just Energy service at Sam’s Club and the rates were interesting to us because we were paying a lot more. At first, I noticed a difference in our service since switching over. The plan that I had was like a free night and we got a very low bill. But after that, it was different and the rates were too high so I just recently switched plans. Their reps were very helpful when I called to switch.

Just Energy response

Hello Elvia. We're sorry that our Nights Free plan was not a suitable electricity plan for you. We're glad that you did select a plan that better meets your needs and we hope this plan is of value to you. Our goal is to provide products for a variety of customers. We allow customers to change plans without penalty. We're glad to hear that our customer service agents listened to your concerns, were polite, respectful and were able to assist you.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I’m pleased with Just Energy right now. They had two guys who explained everything to me. Compared to other energy providers, their service is excellent and I have no problems. The current special that I have is the free nights and I'm now having lower monthly bills.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 27, 2019

I was switched over to Just Energy without my permission. I was talking to a guy and he was telling me Just Energy is cheaper. I told him I have TXU and that I like TXU better than whatever. He had me sign some papers but I told him I didn’t wanna switch over. Then I got this big old bill from TXU because I was still under contract with them. It’s like 500 something dollars. Then my electricity got cut off. So I had to call Just Energy again trying to get this situated. I finally got it situated and I told the person that the dude didn’t have my permission to switch over. I also had to call TXU, talk to them and go back to try to get them again. I finally got it all switched out and everything up. Even so, the reps from Just Energy were nice. But I was upset that they switched me over without my permission and I had to pay $245 to get this straightened out. I was dissatisfied with Just Energy.

Just Energy response

Hello Bernard. We're sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the sales agent that enrolled you. We apologize for the series of unexpected events and inconveniences experienced by you as a result of this enrollment. We're glad that our customer service department remained polite and understanding while attempting to resolve this matter for you. We have provided a resolution to you and will ensure similar situations do not happen again.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Just signed up as a new customer with Just Energy and was slammed with $300 early termination bill from Constellation who are my existing supplier for electricity and gas. Never knew this would happen. Now I want to cancel immediately my contract but I am worried about dealing with this company. Any advice?

Just Energy response

Hello Mr. Damant-Cohen, we would once again, like to extend our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience your interaction with Just Energy has brought. We would also like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to make things right for you. We have taken steps to rectify the situation and as informed, you were happy with the outcome. Once can verify that your switch back to your previous provider has happened, we will follow up with you.

Original review: March 23, 2019

When the Just Energy rep. came to our door to offer us a new service for our natural gas delivery, I was very interested in what he had to say. The way it was explained to me was that I would no longer be paying PG&E for my gas and would instead be paying Just Energy a flat rate of about $45 every month all year. This would have been a bit of a savings as we only use about $18 to $24 a month for gas until winter time when PG&E jacks up rates and we and up paying $250 or more a month. Sounds great right? Well it would be great except that we are still paying PG&E the full amount plus the charges from Just Energy. Now our bills are even more. NO SAVINGS AT ALL!! I FEEL SCAMMED!

Original review: March 22, 2019

When we had gas with Just Energy, they were great and we didn't have a single problem. However, my family cancelled the service in favor of using Direct Energy instead. We paid our bills and thought that was going to be the end of it. Two years later, I received a bill in the amount of $947.80 for a family member who moved out. We tried calling Just Energy, and they told me they couldn't find how much we owed, nor how many months we were being billed for. Instead, they gave us a number for Skylink Receivables (a different one from the number on the letter). Now that family member faces a hit to her credit, and we still have no clue why the charge is there. (our energy bill is never higher than $150 a month) I have tried contacting Skylink Receivables, but there has been no answer. It is possible that this is just a scam letter. And I will remove this review if I find out.

Just Energy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding the goods and service you received while on our program. We understand that one of our customer service specialists has been in contact with you to discuss and clarify the notice received and has resolved your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you please email us. Thank you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This is very frustrating. Yes I did sign up for Just Energy, but I was also promised a savings for gas delivery to my home. I am frugal on electric and gas usage in my home. I am very careful how much I am using not to be wasteful. I make sure my family is the same way. This is for two reasons, 1. to save money and 2. to help with the climate. We don't like to be wasteful. So my bills have always been on the lower side. So when someone came along to help us save a little more money, why not right? Wrong.

The person came and said, "Your gas bill will be capped off to a certain amount." Great right? But they don't tell you, you will still be paying PG&E ALONG with Just Energy. So basically you're paying for PG&E (100%) AND Just Energy (100%) for gas delivery. No savings. Just double the amount in the bill. Bad news for people trying to save money and raise a family in difficult times. I really wished I looked better into this. Cannot trust ANYONE these days.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Just Energy seemed such a really good company. Their team told me about the perks, points, and all that good stuff. They were good.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Someone from Just Energy called me and he talked with me for almost half an hour. And because of the lower rates, I switched to Just Energy. The process was easy. Just Energy is excellent.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I heard about Just Energy from a friend a gave them a try. Thus far, things have been pretty good for me. The bill for my first month was free. I was a week late for the first time and their reps were okay with it. They had a lot of respect, and they listened. They knew how to talk to me.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I had someone come to my door informing me of Just Energy and the benefits of choosing them as an alternative to ComEd. I was informed that I qualified for the fixed rate and they also have a rewards program for paying your bills. I usually turn people like that away, but he was super nice and patient and informative. I live in an apartment with ALL electric and Boy... did they save me money!

I've been with them for just over 2 years now and have received about $200 in rewards. I was just surprised by how much it went up (the fixed rate) after the first 2 year contract (which I was ecstatic that it was that long). But, the CSR that I spoke with about the change actually took the time out to go over my energy bills over the past year to assist me in figuring out the best option in renewing. I'm glad they remind you to give 30 days notice if you're going to cancel. I just wish I could get a bonus for all of the people I referred to them. I even gave my landlord the information to share with new renters. I will continue working with them until I find something better (which I haven't yet).

Original review: March 13, 2019

So this guy named Ahmad from Just Energy explained how Just Energy was a flat rate of $35.99 a month. How I should stop paying PG&E because their rates went up. Looked at my recent bill from PG&E ($171.18) and said his company could offer me a flat rate of just 35.99. Sounded great, I knew there was catch. He failed to mention, I’d still pay PG&E the same thing. My first bill came from “Just Energy” so I am paying Just Energy $35.99 plus tax and also still paying PG&E $184.21. Such a rip off. So I called to cancel with Just Energy and they said it will take 3 billing cycles to cancel. So I’ll pay them their flat rate of $35.99 plus tax on top of my regular PG&E bill. I AM MIND BLOWN! Do not sign up. Huge scam. I’m going to the newspaper, my local Neighborhood apps. I’ll use every resource to stop these people. Some people are on a budget. This is not ok.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I chose Just Energy, and the first year, the prices were reasonable. Afterwards, the bills were astronomically high. I, eventually, decided to switch to another energy company that provides great service at less than half of the cost of Just Energy! When, I made the switch, however, Just Energy offered a lower rate, contingent upon me agreeing to a new contract. As a former loyal customer, I feel that this offer should have been presented to me after the first year, not after the frustration of paying inflated rates over the years. Nonetheless, I did not accept their offer, and I switched to a new provider. So now, there's the "last bill" issue. Well, they sent one bill & additional bill a couple of days later.

I do not agree with the charges, but I am attempting to make a good faith effort to speak with a supervisor. I've been on the phone now for approximately 2 hours waiting for a supervisor. In fact, I'm writing this review as I wait. Wow!!! I've been on hold for so long, that Just Energy disconnected the call. Well, Just Energy, I ask that you remove the $35 in extra charges from my bill. I hope this review helps others in making their best selection for a Energy Company that values them as a consumer. I am very disappointed with Just Energy. I suggest people look into Veteran Energy!!! Thanks for reading & have a great day!

Just Energy response

We're sorry to hear that you have left Just Energy Jane. We have attempted to contact you regarding your complaint but received no response. Unfortunately, we are not able to address or verify what you have described due to the lack of information provided. Please contact Just Energy if you wish to discuss your complaint. It's unfortunate to hear that you are no longer our customer, but we hope that you enjoy your experience with your new supplier.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have never had any business with this company. I was never interested in their offers and never gave consent to purchase any of their services. But somehow, in an incredible way, it suddenly turned out that I owed them money. All my energy bills are paid very carefully, on time, without any delay. How did it turn out that, in parallel with my gas and electricity suppliers, I turned out to be a debtor of these scammers?

Just Energy response

Hello Kirill. Thank you for contacting us regarding your concerns. We spoke to you on the 11th of March 2019 and you confirmed the enrolling account details for your Just Energy Account. Per your request, we have cancelled your account and advised you that this process may take 1-2 months for cancellation. We thank you for being a valued Just Energy customer.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I cannot say I had one bit of trouble with the signup, service, and customer service (including CANCELLATION!). HOWEVER, my electric bill DOUBLED. My regular service supplier charged 5 cents per kWh and my bill each month was $161. With the last two billings Just Energy charged 10 cents per kWh. My bill was $304.51.

Just Energy response

Hello Darrel. We're sorry to hear that you're dissatisfied with Just Energy's services. We strive to provide a variety of products suiting various customer needs. You agreed to enrolled into our capped variable rate product. However, the billing rate is not the amount quoted. We have attempted to contact you to discuss your billing, but had no success. We thank you for being a Just Energy customer and wish you the best of luck with your new supplier.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I liked Just Energy's rate. I noticed a lower monthly payment.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I liked that Just Energy was gonna save me money on my bill, and they took my bill in half. They went from 150 to 180 bucks. That was a huge difference.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We had TXU before as our energy provider and their rates were very high. Somebody who was going from door to door told us about Just Energy's offers. The guy that I spoke to was very nice. He explained everything to us well and in detail so we could get a better understanding of what difference Just Energy would be compared to TXU. Just Energy's package offered free nights and we would get a lower electricity bill compared to what we had already. It seemed like a good deal, so we decided to give it a chance and switch to see if they were better for us and if there would be any difference in our light bill. We started using Just Energy in January and we're trying out the free nights plan to see if it would help us save money, and it has been doing okay for us so far. Our bill is lower and we’ve been satisfied with our bill.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses