2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.85/5

Just Energy specializes in electricity and natural gas solutions, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. It currently serves 20 markets across North America, including 11 U.S. states and six Canadian provinces. It offers green energy solutions for residential buildings and businesses and a variety of plans with different rates and contract lengths.

Just Energy Video

BOTTOM LINE

Just Energy offers long-term contracts for homes and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their energy bills. The company’s services are only available in 11 states, however.

PROS

• Flexibility for commercial consumers
  • Personalized plans
  • Offers energy-saving solutions

CONS

• Only available in 11 states

Top Just Energy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

A friend uses Just Energy. I just called them and they got everything set up over the phone. Signing was a simple, smooth process. They also asked questions to make sure that it was going to be a great plan for my needs. So far, Just Energy seems to be just fine.

When I first got the service, I spoke to someone and everything went well with them. The process didn’t take too long. It took 10 minutes at most just to get everything through and to get the payment. I've been paying my payments through the app and everything’s been good. They have great prices and

Just Energy Learn More

What is Just Energy?

Just Energy is an electric and natural gas provider that serves residential and commercial customers. The company specializes in energy efficiency solutions.

Just Energy has a limited service area — in the U.S., it offers services in:

• New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas

In Canada, the company serves customers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

If you live in one of these areas, there are many benefits to using Just Energy for your gas and electricity needs.

Just Energy plans

Just Energy offers multiple plans with varying contract lengths and price points to help customize a solution for any customer.

• Secured-rate supply plans charge the same price per kilowatt hour or therm each month for the entire length of your contract. However, the monthly bill fluctuates based on how much gas or electricity you use. This plan is good for customers interested in protecting their price per kilowatt-hour or therm from changing, even when the price of the commodity changes in the energy market.
  • Variable-rate supply plans are flexible because you are not locked into a monthly payment. With this plan, the amount you pay for your electricity or natural gas is based on the current market prices for gas and electricity in your area.
  • Prepaid supply plans are similar to prepaid cell phone plans. You can purchase your gas and electric supply upfront without a deposit or contract. This is a good option for those with no credit or low credit or who are temporary residents. There are no long-term contracts.
  • Predict-a-bill plans let customers pay a fixed amount for energy each month based on average use. This budget-friendly plan keeps the monthly rate the same regardless of consumption.

The company also has more specific plans that customers can choose based on their budgets and energy consumption levels. Plans vary by location, but some of the most popular plans include:

• Base Saver III plan: This is a budget-friendly plan with a fixed electricity rate as low as 7.6 cents per kWh when you use an average of 1000 kWh of power.
  • Just 400 Plus plan: This plan gives customers a $200 credit on their winter bills when energy consumption is the highest.
  • Just Energy Purely Green 24 plan: A 24-month plan that provides power from 100% renewable energy sources. It offers a fixed rate for the entire length of the contract.
  • Simple Rate plan: A 36-month plan that provides a fixed rate. This is ideal for those who want a long-term contract without any surprises or rate hikes.

Just Energy rates

The price of electricity is constantly changing, and rates vary depending on your geographical location. At the time of publishing, Hawaii is the most expensive market in the country for electricity at 34 centers per kWh and Washington state is the least expensive at 9.35 cents.

California, Massachusetts and New York rank as some of the most expensive places for electricity, which is why many people in these states turn to companies like Just Energy to help them cut costs.

For example, In Texas, Just Energy plans typically run anywhere from 10.4 cents per kWh to 12.3 cents per kWh at the time of publishing. To determine how much Just Energy can save you on your gas and electric bill, speak with a Just Energy representative for prices in your area.

There is no penalty if you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing, but canceling after that costs $50. There is also a one-time penalty (not to exceed 5%) on a delinquent bill for electric service. Other fees to consider include:

• Manual payment fee: A charge assessed on certain products when a payment is made through a method other than JE-Aut0-Pay.
  • Disconnection fee: A fee assessed if your service is disconnected.
  • Exit fee: A fee assessed if your contract is ended early due to you breaching the contract.
  • Insufficient funds charge: A fee assessed for returned payments.
  • JustGreen charge: A fee for the level of JustGreen you select when signing up with Just Energy.

Just Energy FAQ

What does Just Energy do?
Just Energy offers natural gas and/or electricity to residential and commercial customers.
Does Just Energy have a cancellation fee?
Yes. If you cancel after the 30-day introductory period, the company charges a $50 exit fee.
Is Just Energy a good company?
Just Energy only serves a handful of states in the country, but it offers a wide selection of options to help homes and businesses maximize the way they use gas and electricity. It provides many of the same services and plans as its competitors.
How many customers does Just Energy have?
Around 1.8 million people use Just Energy in their homes and businesses.

Is Just Energy legit?

Just Energy provides energy-efficient home and business options like lighting control, energy management, smart building controls and HVAC controls and is a good choice for people looking for smart technology options to help them lower their energy costs. The company is in a limited number of U.S. states, but residents in those areas should check out Just Energy’s options.

Just Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: May 19, 2020

I moved from Colorado and I have one option there. My landlord gave me a list of options. I called a group that looks up things from multiple companies and Just Energy was the best flat rate for energy where I was living. It was really easy when I signed up the first time. I just recently moved and that's been quite complicated. The first time I called to switch it over, it was great. I had a specific move out date for my rental house. They started me early in the new house since I was carrying my rental for a month. Everything was set up fine. My energy's working great since then.

However, my energy is shut off today because they shut off the wrong house. It was one guy's mistake, not Just Energy's. I had to call and change the shut off date because my landlord took over my energy sooner than the actual end of the lease. He put the wrong address into shut off. It was my current residence instead of the one that I was planning on shutting off anyway. I don't know if the people I kept talking to just didn't know how to do it or if I was in a different department. Today, when I talked to the representatives, after being transferred five times, I got two or three person, and they helped me out. The transfers were quite annoying, though. It's still not on but they said they'd put a rush on getting someone out here to turn it back on for me. I'm hoping that that's true. The guy told me that he was shutting off the proper address, but he had it wrong in the computer.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2020

The apartment complex that we rented for my son gave us a flyer of a central number to call. The rep looked up different plans and one plan looked good on paper. The price goes up on weekends though. There were different parameters and she said that we need to go with Just Energy since he's gonna not be home during the day and more in the evenings. The rep seemed very knowledgeable but the plans were a little confusing. This is for my son going to grad school in Texas and we're in Louisiana. Here, when you buy a house, you don't have an option. It's just who services this neighborhood. Over there, there must have been 10 different options of power companies. So, there's no way to simplify depending on your needs, but it was very different than what we were used to here. It was completely overwhelming that time and that was when I called in to that number.

I’m still having trouble and I had to call in for a question. The rep said there was a glitch in her system so I haven't been able to set up the app. It’s not working and I can't form an account online to pay my bill online. So, I ended up having to do a paper bill for now. I haven't gotten my first one yet. When I called, I was on hold for 30 minutes but other than that, she was very helpful when I got her and told me to try later.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Our energy company was Direct Energy, and then it was First Choice Power. My bill went up and I kept calling them to ask them why. We had a language barrier issue, but no one ever gave me a clear explanation as to why it went up. I checked my bill the last month so that I can prepare to pay it, and I saw that it was over $500. That made me send the message through the little chat thing. And while I was doing that, their representative told me that I wasn't in the contract and that was why my bill was so much. No one ever said this. I've been asking them all the same question for months now, and no one said anything about me not being in a contract. I had been putting a lot of money out there when I could have been in the contract and saving that money. That part did it for me and that was what made me switch over to Just Energy.

I've only had Just Energy's service for a week. I signed up when I was in Sam's Club doing some shopping. The lady that I signed up with was awesome. She predominantly spoke Spanish so her pamphlet was on Spanish, which was fine. But when I got the email, it was in Spanish. I could translate the email through Google, but now I'm getting mail and it's all Spanish too. I don't even know what it says.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I was looking at the energy websites for Texas, and I called the number to talk to the people about the plans because I had several picked out. And what I hadn’t realized, which was really disturbing, was that on those comparison websites, they had changed the way that they set them up. I was telling the rep about the three plans I was looking at, and what she pointed out to me was that the numbers for the part “Cost per kilowatt hour” did not include the Oncor delivery fee of three-point-something cents, which is new. I’ve been around here for a long time and all these years, I could go to that website, I could look at those numbers that were presented by each of the different companies, and that was their total delivery price on an average, 2,000-blah-blah kilowatt hours.

They have different qualifiers, but the number on the website for each of the providers would give me like, “Okay, it’s 10.7, and this one is 11.1, and this one is blah, blah, blah.” That wasn’t the case for the others that I was looking at. With Just Energy, it’s a little more with the monthly service fee. It goes up a little bit if you use less than 500 kilowatt hours. But for all the other usage, it includes all the Oncor delivery fees. It’s 10 cents per kilowatt hour, which is simplified, and that’s what you pay. At 501 kilowatt hours or more, you pay 10 cents per kilowatt hour. It's straightforward. And that was very competitive with a lot of the other prices.

One thing also that the representative told me was that Just Energy will deal with consumers directly and that if for any reason that I am not satisfied during this period, which is a year, I can call them and if their rates have gone down, I can get a new rate with them. Also, during this period, if I’m not happy, I wanna change plans, I can call them, deal with them directly, and I can cancel and there’s no termination fee that will be applied to my contract.

Compared to Cirro Energy, which I had for two years, Just Energy gives me way more information. Cirro did nothing. I couldn’t even go to their website and see my own usage without going to the Oncor site and calculating every kilowatt hour usage per day for the month. Just Energy is delivering to me a weekly usage and the approximate cost for that weekly usage. They gave me that information every week so I could see what’s going on with my usage and my cost. I’ve been very pleased with Just Energy so far.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

A gentleman came and knocked on my door. He looked trustworthy so I let him in. He was sweet. Last month was the first time Just Energy took over. But I’m not mad because my bill was pretty low. It was only a $18 charge, which is magnificent, versus 25 and versus a 30 and $26. But it was only my first bill that I got so I'm not dissatisfied at this point. I just wanna know about all the freebies the rep promised me that I was supposed to get, that I have to get two million points before I can get one. The gentleman misrepresented himself on that. Because he said, “If you’re a good customer, looks like you pay your bills and stuff on time, we reward people like you.”

So, I thought the reward came up front. I didn’t know it would take years until I talked to somebody in Florida who said, “Oh, no, no, no darling. That’s not how it works.” It was just funny how she said it. At least, she was honest. I’m from Ohio, so I’m like I’m on another planet. I went ahead and she told me, “Well, it might take a year or two.” There was no saying that I have to get 200, 2,000 points. It was just a matter of five or six months of keeping it current. I took the initiative to call back because I didn’t realize it took three months before it went to effect. I guess the 90-day was the normal process. You would have to almost go through the entire contract before you can get any of that, and that’s disappointing. The salesman didn’t have to say that. He said they were retroactive after a short period of time. It was a lie. It would take years.

I had my hopes up thinking I’m gonna get a little 40, $50 credit card. It’s money, right? So far, the rate looks low, but the sales rep misrepresented himself on that. I was just looking for a lower rate, that’s all. And I took his word the rate would be low, so the rate did come out which was only $18. I don’t know if that’s conducive to the fact that they took over somewhere in between the other month. I would just assume that’s their standard charge. They kept their promise on keeping it low, which is what really matters. If it stays as low, I do appreciate that so it keeps the cost of my bill down. But I don’t expect anything else. By now, I would’ve gotten some kind of a response or whatever, but I didn’t. But I’m gonna get it. It’s only my first encounter. I’ll just wait and see. But overall, I’m satisfied.

Just Energy response

Good morning, Patricia:

Thank you for choosing Just Energy as your energy supplier.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your sales experience with us.

In reviewing your account, I can see that your service with us started on October 18th 2019. You will receive an activation e-mail within 90 days of your service start date which will contain a link and instructions in how to redeem your perk points.

Once your perk rewards account is activated, you will receive an initial load of 2500 points per commodity. Since you have both gas and electric, you should be receiving a total of 5000 points initially.

After the initial load of points happens, you will also receive a monthly point load within 10 days from paying your bill. You will earn 1 perk point per each dollar spent.

We sincerely apologize if our energy representative failed to explain our perks program appropriately.

Thanks again for being a Just Energy customer.

Sincerely,

Maritza Ozepy

OH & IN Compliance Specialist

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I was at Sam’s Club and I was talked into switching to this company upon big promises, I signed up for a month-to-month thing with Just Energy. It was done online and the rep kinda walked me through the process. I had no difficulties signing up with them but I’m not sure that it was the best decision as my rates are not any lower. The rep told me that they would take care of the transition fees if there was any early termination fees on the other bill and take care of that bill. Come to find out when I got my bill they gave me a credit with their company of what the termination fee for the other company was and I still owed them over $400 with the termination fee that I've still not been able to pay.

They’re actually higher and I’m paying more now. I feel like I'm paying double or more even with free nights which I take huge advantage of. I really have seen no perks with this company. Watch out because the rates will go sky high. They will trick you. Now I'm stuck with them til 2023 and want out now. I would not recommend. Highest electric bills I've ever had and it's two adults and a baby here.

Original review: July 10, 2020

My husband called for a quote to compare with our current energy provider when we were deciding to relocate closer to his place of business. The representative asked for his name and address in which my husband replied, “I just want a quote. I don’t want to be charged anything.” The representative assured him he would not be charged, so he continued. After comparing rates, we decided to continue with our current provider. A little over a month later, we got charged a energy bill from JustEnergy, and a late charge. We called to correct the mistake because we had not authorized any agreement with the company.

After several phone calls with unhelpful costumer service members, we were given a confirmation code to speak with a manager. The manager, Cheryl, was immediately rude upon answering her phone. Replying to my husband, “Oh, I’ve been trying to reach you several times,” in an arrogant voice. (I had left my number to call. My husband wasn’t expecting the call because he hadn’t left his cellphone number on the notes for this case. If they had called the number listed in the notes of the issue, then I would’ve gotten the call -which I had been expecting.) The manager confirmed that we had just called for a quote, but claimed we still agreed to the payment regardless whether it was through the representative’s manipulation/lying. Did I mention we don’t even live in the apartment they are trying to charge us for?! We called for a quote on an apartment unit that we ended up not even moving into!!! I honestly don’t see how this could be legal.

Do NOT use JustEnergy! They are crooks, liars and manipulators! It’s so sad that a manager would allow her staff to manipulate and lie to people and try to force payments on unsuspecting persons. If all of that didn’t sound bad enough, JustEnergy reached out to my current service provider to cancel my business with them!!! I had to call my current provider (whom I had been with for almost 2 years) to ensure them I had not authorized any change request and wished to continue receiving their services. How is that legal?! Seriously, save yourself the heartache and stay as far away from this company as possible.

Original review: May 30, 2020

So far, I've been very satisfied with Just Energy. The one time I talked to their reps, they were very courteous and got me hooked up really quickly. I'd recommend this service to friends.

Original review: May 30, 2020

The people from Just Energy were polite and they gave me the answer that I was looking for when I called them. But when I started the service with them, I went a day without electricity. I called them back and they explained to me that I was talking to a third party and the guy failed to process my paperwork. Minus that hiccup, everything has been okay. Their rep managed to process the order right away. She was very polite. She even called me back and let me know that it was processed and that it should be on in about two hours. They expedited the process and within six hours, the power was on. It wasn't too hot yet but my son was doing schoolwork online so he had to pretty much go the whole day without doing anything. Other than that, yeah, I was pretty impressed with the fact that they had my power turned on right away.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I found Just Energy on Sam’s Club and they offered me the after 9:00 free electricity up to 7:00. I said, “Let me try it.” I feel like it was only a perk to get me but signing up with them was not difficult at all. Everything was real helpful and simple.

Just Energy Company Information