4.0/5 (163 ratings)

About Just Energy

Just Energy specializes in electricity and natural gas solutions, energy efficiency solutions and renewable energy options. It currently serves 20 markets across North America, including 11 U.S. states and six Canadian provinces. It offers green energy solutions for residential buildings and businesses and a variety of plans with different rates and contract lengths.

Pros

• Flexibility for commercial consumers
  • Personalized plans
  • Offers energy-saving solutions

Cons

• Only available in 11 states

Bottom Line

Just Energy offers long-term contracts for homes and businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint and lower their energy bills. The company’s services are only available in 11 states, however.

Top Just Energy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

A friend uses Just Energy. I just called them and they got everything set up over the phone. Signing was a simple, smooth process. They also asked questions to make sure that it w...

Verified

When I first got the service, I spoke to someone and everything went well with them. The process didn’t take too long. It took 10 minutes at most just to get everything through an...

What is Just Energy?

Just Energy is an electric and natural gas provider that serves residential and commercial customers. The company specializes in energy efficiency solutions.

Just Energy has a limited service area — in the U.S., it offers services in:

• New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas

In Canada, the company serves customers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.

If you live in one of these areas, there are many benefits to using Just Energy for your gas and electricity needs.

Just Energy plans

Just Energy offers multiple plans with varying contract lengths and price points to help customize a solution for any customer.

• Secured-rate supply plans charge the same price per kilowatt hour or therm each month for the entire length of your contract. However, the monthly bill fluctuates based on how much gas or electricity you use. This plan is good for customers interested in protecting their price per kilowatt-hour or therm from changing, even when the price of the commodity changes in the energy market.
  • Variable-rate supply plans are flexible because you are not locked into a monthly payment. With this plan, the amount you pay for your electricity or natural gas is based on the current market prices for gas and electricity in your area.
  • Prepaid supply plans are similar to prepaid cell phone plans. You can purchase your gas and electric supply upfront without a deposit or contract. This is a good option for those with no credit or low credit or who are temporary residents. There are no long-term contracts.
  • Predict-a-bill plans let customers pay a fixed amount for energy each month based on average use. This budget-friendly plan keeps the monthly rate the same regardless of consumption.

The company also has more specific plans that customers can choose based on their budgets and energy consumption levels. Plans vary by location, but some of the most popular plans include:

• Base Saver III plan: This is a budget-friendly plan with a fixed electricity rate as low as 7.6 cents per kWh when you use an average of 1000 kWh of power.
  • Just 400 Plus plan: This plan gives customers a $200 credit on their winter bills when energy consumption is the highest.
  • Just Energy Purely Green 24 plan: A 24-month plan that provides power from 100% renewable energy sources. It offers a fixed rate for the entire length of the contract.
  • Simple Rate plan: A 36-month plan that provides a fixed rate. This is ideal for those who want a long-term contract without any surprises or rate hikes.

Just Energy rates

The price of electricity is constantly changing, and rates vary depending on your geographical location. At the time of publishing, Hawaii is the most expensive market in the country for electricity at 34 centers per kWh and Washington state is the least expensive at 9.35 cents.

California, Massachusetts and New York rank as some of the most expensive places for electricity, which is why many people in these states turn to companies like Just Energy to help them cut costs.

For example, In Texas, Just Energy plans typically run anywhere from 10.4 cents per kWh to 12.3 cents per kWh at the time of publishing. To determine how much Just Energy can save you on your gas and electric bill, speak with a Just Energy representative for prices in your area.

There is no penalty if you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing, but canceling after that costs $50. There is also a one-time penalty (not to exceed 5%) on a delinquent bill for electric service. Other fees to consider include:

• Manual payment fee: A charge assessed on certain products when a payment is made through a method other than JE-Aut0-Pay.
  • Disconnection fee: A fee assessed if your service is disconnected.
  • Exit fee: A fee assessed if your contract is ended early due to you breaching the contract.
  • Insufficient funds charge: A fee assessed for returned payments.
  • JustGreen charge: A fee for the level of JustGreen you select when signing up with Just Energy.

Just Energy FAQ

What does Just Energy do?
Just Energy offers natural gas and/or electricity to residential and commercial customers.
Does Just Energy have a cancellation fee?
Yes. If you cancel after the 30-day introductory period, the company charges a $50 exit fee.
Is Just Energy a good company?
Just Energy only serves a handful of states in the country, but it offers a wide selection of options to help homes and businesses maximize the way they use gas and electricity. It provides many of the same services and plans as its competitors.
How many customers does Just Energy have?
Around 1.8 million people use Just Energy in their homes and businesses.

Is Just Energy worth it?

Just Energy provides energy-efficient home and business options like lighting control, energy management, smart building controls and HVAC controls and is a good choice for people looking for smart technology options to help them lower their energy costs. The company is in a limited number of U.S. states, but residents in those areas should check out Just Energy’s options.

Just Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: April 26, 2022

Just Energy was better than what I was doing so I signed up and it's been a good four or five years that I've been with them. At the time, it seemed much cheaper. Now, I don't know if it's still cheaper or not. I never realized until one day I was sitting looking at my bill that I get a charge from FirstEnergy and I get another charge from Dominion. Other than that, their customer service was very nice. Also, Just Energy gives me a gift card to Sam's Club every year. Our bills were in my husband's name. I asked about having it changed but they don't change. They just added me to the account.

Just Energy response

Hello Jackie, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I was in Sam's Club and they approached me. They said that they’d lock me in a price and it can't go up. However, I found out that I'm paying more now with Just Energy. I called the other day to cancel it. The guy said, “I could take a dollar off of whatever cost it was.” I couldn't understand him. But I just kept it. He sounded very nice.

Just Energy response

Hello Deborah, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: March 4, 2022

Everything has always been good. The only thing that I had to deal with ComEd was when they were trying to charge me outrageously when they were reading the meter. I made them put a digital one in. I said, "How can you guys read my meter when I have a six-foot privacy fence all the way around the perimeter of my property? You're good 40 feet and you're not going to see those little numbers." I said, "I want somebody to come out here and physically read my meter." They came out and realized that they made a big, "Uh-oh." So they comped my bill.

Just Energy response

Hello Nicholas, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

Just Energy is decent. This year when I renewed, the prices went up significantly so I told them that this may not be the best option for me anymore. As most businesses do, they offered me something not significant, but lower than what they initially had offered, because they said that the prices were going up. Everybody's got their prices going up. So, it was easy to get worked out. I didn’t have any issue and I have no complaints. The rep kept trying to reassure me that they would do the best that they could to get me something lower and that it still would be significantly lower than what others were offering. He was trying his best to keep me as a customer. Overall, it was okay. On the anniversary of my account with Just Energy, I get a gift card to my local Sam's Club. It was a bit lower this year than last year but with the pandemic, everybody's trimming the fat.

Just Energy response

Hello Taffney, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I feel truly blessed, thank you Just Energy! For years I thought that I had a decent electricity plan, until I had a just energy representative come to my home and help me. He was very thorough and explained everything very well. I was very hesitant about talking to him because like I said I thought I had a good plan, but even on my lower bills I was still getting charged around $200 every month which I just figured was normal. I felt like my bill kept going up even though I was under contract and thought that it would not fluctuate much. So I heard him out, he put me on the best plan for me, and ever since my bills have been around 50 or $60 every month!! I did have one higher bill in August that went up to $81… But this was still a blessing for me considering the lowest bill I ever had with my previous company was $160! I just want to say thank you Just Energy, you are truly helping me more than y’all will ever know!!!

Just Energy response

Hello Cole, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Just Energy promised a gift card every year. Two years into it, they just stopped giving a benefit which is very off-putting. It made me want to cancel it. That was the whole reason that we signed up originally.

Just Energy response

Hello Joseph, we understand that a member of our customer service team spoke to you and was able to resolve your concerns. If there is anything else we can do for you please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I have both electricity and gas. But I don't like either of them because the electric bill and propane has gone up a lot over the last year.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

When I call in, I get this computer telling you all the different options. And it's a hassle to get through to a customer service rep. And when you do talk to a customer service rep, it's like they're doing you a favor by talking to you. Just Energy a couple of years back had a promotion. I tried to get in on that, and it was next to impossible. They had so many hoops for me to jump through, it wasn't worth my time to even apply for the promotion. Also, at the time their rates were lower. Now, I'm not sure. I'm never notified about anything. It's like I've fallen off the face of the earth. That's why I'm thinking about changing.

Just Energy response

Hello Michelle, we understand that one our customer service reps has spoken to you to review your account and address your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

Everything with the customer service is going good.

Just Energy response

Hello Chad, we appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. Customer experience is very important to us. Thanks.

Corporate & Consumer Relations

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Just Energy offered a bit better rates. So, I went to it. Initially, the cost was better. But over time, it got worse. Just going through the regular company's energy thing was better.

Just Energy response

Hi Erick, we understand that someone from our team was able to connect with you to discuss your account. Thanks again for your feedback as we're always looking at ways to better serve our customers. If there's anything else that we can do for you, please let us know at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Just Energy Company Information