Call toll free
2.90/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
View More View More

657 Just Energy Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 16, 2019

When a Just Energy representative came knocking on my door, I originally had Direct Energy. The Just Energy rep told me they were cheaper. I liked the rep. They caught me at a good time and I took the leap. Getting set up with them was really easy. We were in an apartment so the bill was just $5 cheaper and wasn’t a big difference. But now, we moved to a house and I'm trying to see if the bill is gonna way cheaper than what I could have just stayed with.

I told Just Energy that I needed to switch from the apartment to the house but stay with the same account. But I had to move the energy before my lease was up at my apartment and right now, I have two accounts. It hasn’t given me trouble, but I wonder if I could use my perks if they join the accounts together instead of me making two different accounts. I haven't got my first bill yet, but so far, they have been very reasonable and my rate stayed the same. Plus, since they send me emails letting me know how much I spent in a week, I've been able to plan my checks, which has really helped me a lot. So far, my experience with Just Energy has been good.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was with First Choice and I had the prepaid service with First Choice but they didn't have that anymore. The prepaid service worked better for me because I was paying on the go. So, I ended up going with Just Energy. I thought Just Energy would have been perfect for me because they gave me the flyer that says, "You get your free nights." And I'm like, "Oh, well, that will work because I'm home during the nighttime." But then my bill with Just Energy is $200, I've never paid a bill that high a day in my life. I live in a one bedroom and it's just me and my three-year-old and I work all day.

Then they false advertised that there are no deposits. Which, it turns out, I had to pay. I don't mind paying that but it's gonna confuse a lot of people. Also, I had an issue getting it hooked up because of a language barrier issue with a guy and a lady I talked to. If you have that type of job, you should be able to speak English properly. Despite all that, I would still recommend them.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I had someone come to my door informing me of Just Energy and the benefits of choosing them as an alternative to ComEd. I was informed that I qualified for the fixed rate and they also have a rewards program for paying your bills. I usually turn people like that away, but he was super nice and patient and informative. I live in an apartment with ALL electric and Boy... did they save me money!

I've been with them for just over 2 years now and have received about $200 in rewards. I was just surprised by how much it went up (the fixed rate) after the first 2 year contract (which I was ecstatic that it was that long). But, the CSR that I spoke with about the change actually took the time out to go over my energy bills over the past year to assist me in figuring out the best option in renewing. I'm glad they remind you to give 30 days notice if you're going to cancel. I just wish I could get a bonus for all of the people I referred to them. I even gave my landlord the information to share with new renters. I will continue working with them until I find something better (which I haven't yet).

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was at Sam's and heard about Just Energy. The reps at the club were very professional and impressed the heck out of me. They weren’t pushy, which in a lot of sales things, they are. I don’t like high-pressure sales. Also, Just Energy's prices are a bit better than my provider, which is ComEd. I like the fact that I get them cheaper because of bulk rates.

The only issue I had with Just Energy was I felt I was a little misled on the gift card promotion when they were doing it at Sam’s. I was under the understanding that I was supposed to get a $50 gift card, but I ended up getting a $20 or $25 one. But I’m not worried about it because when I contacted Just Energy, they said that the $50 was supposed to be for both switching my electric and my natural gas. I must have misunderstood with the lady that I talked to at Sam's. It might have been partially my fault so it's not a big deal.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

What interested me about Just Energy was that they were less expensive. They didn't charge for night use between 9:00 and 6:00 in the morning. But when I first got started, they messed up on the first bill and sent me a cancellation notice. I've never had any problem getting a hold of them though, and they corrected that mistake quickly. I've had them for a couple of years now and everything was okay up until July of this year. In fact, I've enjoyed the service. But when I was on vacation, somebody went in and said I wanted to change providers. So when I got home, I got a final bill from Just Energy saying that I was gonna be charged a certain amount for breaking the contract. I didn't even have a contract. It was month-to-month. But we finally got it straightened out.

I also asked who tried to switch providers but they said they didn't know. They gave me the the Public Utility Commission's number so after I got everything settled, I called them. They said that my service was never changed and that it was just one day. It went directly back to Just Energy. So it started to get weird. My final comment with Just Energy was to ask how much I owed. From the bill, they took $170 off which was the exit fee. I sent them a check of $102 and I haven't heard anything from them since. About a week after all that's happened, I got a Sam's card for $50, courtesy of Just Energy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2019

Scammed at Sams by Just Energy. I was talked into signing up at Sam's Club. The nice rep described this “capped plan” as that I will pay my current rate (with NIPSCO) but capped at 0.60 per term. It sounded like no loss at all. After signed up, the contract said I will pay the NYMEX rate capped at the above rate. Note that NYMEX is not what I currently paid, but is sure to be double what I currently paid. This is an intentional misleading to me.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2019

I tried to pay my monthly bill through the app, I kept getting an error that said try again later. I tried three times, each time it froze the money in my account. I work in customer service, I'm aware sometimes this happens and usually the next day it'll drop off as there was no confirmation. Well, $357 from Just Energy was withdrawn from my account, causing my account to overdraft. My husband contacted their customer service to tell them of the mistake, was told there was nothing they could do because our bill doesn't show we've paid.

Just Energy response

Hello Kenneth. We're sorry to hear about your recent experience when attempting to make a payment on 5/30/2019. You submitted three payments online. Due to an error, your payment processing/posting was delayed until 5/31/2019. We immediately began working to resolve this issue on 5/31/2019 by initiating a refund for your two over payments. Our customer service agent also submitted a request for this refund when speaking with you on 5/31/2019. We've attempted to contact you regarding this but had no success. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, but we're glad to have resolved this matter.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 25, 2019

Imagine your power is disconnected many days when you are on holiday for couple weeks. Come back in the dark with a cold house; stinky food in the fridge, freezer, and potential damage to your house in the future due to the cold happened to your house. You call your service provider and ask them why they disconnected your power without noticing you and they said they got the request to cancel your contract; obviously you did not ask to cancel it. You ask them to have your power back and they are saying their system is not able to connect the power back, what a joke!!! Absolutely, you have to take working hours off to deal with it to have your power turn on as soon as possible.

It was the experience I’ve had with JUST ENERGY in Alberta Canada couple months ago. I phoned them many times to ask their responsibility about this issue and it sounded like it is my issue, not theirs. Their responsibility is only to send the bill to me and continue to change my account without my permission. I’ve cancelled my first account with JUST ENERGY and applied with another provider. Here is another interesting thing I found: I paid the rate 6.99 cents/kWh (for electricity) and 4.09 $/GJ (for Gas) for many years without checking my bill. Now the rate I have with new provider is 6.29 cents/kWh (for electricity) and 3.69 $/GJ (for Gas) for 5 years plan. Check your bill and you will see what I’m saying.

You may think I am stupid to pay high rate and get the awful services. I have to admit that and fix it right away. I’m cancelling couple more family accounts with Just Energy and never use their service again. If you live in Alberta, you’ll agree with me these days are tough and why we have to pay money for this kind of services. Good luck to all Just Energy Clients and I hope you guys won’t get an awful experience same as myself.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Signing up with Just Energy online was pretty easy. Plus, they have lower rates. I'd recommend them to others.

Just Energy response

Hello Ethel. We're glad to have you as part of the Just Energy family. We strive to make the enrollment process as easy as possible and offer reasonable products suitable for all customer needs. We look forward to growing our relationship with you.

Original review: May 24, 2019

3 days ago I pay my electric bill and I was late one day, my electricity was shut off after the payment was made. I had to leave my house and stayed with some relatives due to the house was very hot and no electricity, I called and they are only open until 8:00 pm in Texas. The next morning I called several times and finally they answer about 9:00 am in the morning I spoke with a customer representative and she told me that in two hours I will have my service back, 8 hours passed and the service was not connected, called several times and no answer. The next day I called about four times and they keep saying IN TWO HOURS, which until the third day is not happening I am ready to report this to the Texas bureau business, I am a diabetic person and I am having a lot of health problems because of this company. I regret the moment that I switched to this company.

Just Energy response

Hello Josefina. We're sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with our customer service department. We have spoken with you since your complaint was submitted and explained what caused the delay with restoring your services. We submitted a request to connect your services as promised, but there was an error on behalf of the utility's operations which caused a delay. Your meter is owned and operated by the utility company. Just Energy has no control over the operational/functionality of your meter. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced by you during this time, but are glad to know that you have agreed to continue your relationship with us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2019

Company and operator unwilling to work with me. I sold my home and called 3 days after it closed. The purpose of my call was to let them know I was building a home and I would be done in a month or so. I wanted to put the account on a hold and use Just Energy again. The operator would not help and kept telling me it was company policy to not do this and since my service was already canceled I was being charged 50$ per service line for disconnection. This is a ridiculous company. People should stay away.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

Just Energy formerly known as Commerce Energy is a scam. They price gouge in winter months, and tell you Atlanta Gas And Lights make you pay a base fee depending on your usage. In December 2018 They told me my bill was over a hundred dollars because it was cold. I informed them in December 2017 I had four more people in my house, and my bill was exactly the same even though in December 2018 I had four less people, and I was out of town for over two weeks. They told me, "It's high because you used your heat when it was cold". I'm sorry. Did they miss the part of four less people gone for the holidays. Then I made a payment arrangement, and they turned me off anyway.

Customer service was so rude so I had to email them to get someone to hear me. Realizing it was their mistake they called me within an hour, or so saying someone would turn it back on the following day. My stove, and heat are gas. Not my hot water, or anything else. If it's one adult, two toddlers, and one other kid why is my bill $100+ dollars every month? I switched because of this to a new service last month, and will be fighting this bill. No matter what action I have to take. This is robbery period.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I was approached at a local Sam's Club with promises I would be money ahead by switching to Just Energy for supply. So I agreed and was told I would have to verify the supplier transfer by email before it would take effect. When I got home and read the contract, I realized the cost of the electricity was MUCH higher than what I was currently paying, so I never confirmed the email, and also called Just Energy that day to cancel, which was allowable under the contract, and was assured my contract would be cancelled. Now, three months or so later I get a letter from ComEd saying they are switching me to Just Energy, unless I call to stop it, which obviously I will do. You can decide for yourself if you think this is fraudulent or illegal.

Just Energy response

Hello Robert. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by your enrollment with Just Energy. The enrolling agent provided you with correct information, but your account was due to become active due to an operational error. This was not the fault of the enrolling agent. Your agreement has since been cancelled and confirmation was received from the utility that your services will not become active with Just Energy at any time.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Like others, I signed up for this thinking it would save money on my gas bill. Rather, I was charged the flat rate that was quoted to me AND the delivery charges by PG&E, which is what the salesman misrepresented at the time I signed up for this. Just Energy Solutions essentially collects $23/month for absolutely nothing. You might as well light your money on fire, because that is what you are doing when you sign up for this service.

Just Energy response

We appreciate your feed back, and we are looking into your concerns.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I've had people from Just Energy coming to my apartment for over 1 year, and I brushed them off. There were at least six (6) solicitors during that period. Each and every one of them said "Can I see your electric bill?" This is what turned me off - wanting to see my information w/o presenting me some type of method of authenticating them. Today another solicitor stopped by, and I did show him my electric bill. He was looking for the charge per kilowatt hour, but could not find it. He had a contract with him to switch energy providers that he wanted me to sign. I refused, telling him that I needed to read, review, and research the company and the contract. He refused to provide me with a copy of a blank contract for review. Instead, he provided me with a 4-page "write-up".

He then started pressuring me saying, "I don't know if another representative will ever come back." That's when I started searching "Just Energy scam" on Google. I visited two different sites and looked at dozens of reviews, which fall into two major categories. Perfect or really, really bad. A few of the reviews indicate the company signs you up after they get the customer number on your bill. I am writing this as a review of my experience with the representative, and as documentation that I did NOT sign any contract. After having read all the "scam" reviews of this company, I would recommend that people not show their electric bills and that they ask for a blank copy of the contract to review. I would also suggest taking the photo of each representative.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My sister has Just Energy for her home. I also got them for my first home and my experiences with their team have been pretty quick, easy, and fast. Plus, their reps were professional.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Just Energy put our account into collections with a disconnect order after they did not receive our mailed check. We are retired homeowners who always pay our bills on time. They could have emailed me or called me. Instead they put us in collection. I called to deal with them. They were rude. When I asked representative's name, she hung up on me. When I called back I found out they outsourced customer service to Bogata Colombia. God bless they do not understand good customer service or courtesy. We will be switching from them quickly. I suggest you run quickly away from this company too.

Just Energy response

Hello. Someone from our company will be reaching out to you soon to go over all your concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Original review: May 11, 2019

This guy SEEMED nice but mumbled his name and the name of his company. Trust me Close the door on these sales reps. Do not show them your PG&E bill ever! 1st thing they ask for is your bill and You are automatically signed up with them once they get access to your PG&E ID or your PG&E account number, and then they start charging you and you don’t know anything about it until you get a bill or you get a collection notice in the mail. My sales rep said he worked for PG&E, he brought PG&E.com up on his laptop and showed me the practices that he was trying to participate in as far as saving gas for the consumer. He took us to the third-party Vendor page which is on PG&E.com. PG&E provided those numbers because those are the numbers that you have to call when these people charge you for service you didn’t sign up for.

Just Energy response

We certainly appreciate your concerns. We have investigated the matter with our sales leads to ensure that our marketing standards and expectations are continuously being maintained, at all times.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I’ve been with Just Energy for almost a year and have been satisfied with the results after switching from my previous provider. I called recently to have my service transferred and for the rep to send me a confirmation email. Instead he sent an email saying my balance was pass due, even though it wasn’t. I needed documents to say my transfer was complete or pending. I feel as though the rep did not listen to me.

Just Energy response

Hello. We'd like to apologize that you didn't receive your original email confirmation originally. Our records do show on 5/11/19 a confirmation email advising a successful transfer of service was sent. Please advise if you did not receive and again we apologize for any delays and inconvenience.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I've been with Just Energy for a few years and my experience with them has been pretty good. My interactions with their reps were perfect and my bill has been consistent since. If it ever goes up, it would be because our AC is broken or the filter's no good.

Original review: May 10, 2019

A friend referred me to Just Energy and my interactions with their reps have been pretty good since I went with them. I've been with them for two and a half weeks and hopefully, the bill will be low. I'd refer other friends to them.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I had terrible experience with Just Energy. I signed up at Sam's Club with their reps, who didn't give me upfront rate and then sent me a contract with high rate. I checked online and rates were 10-15% lower as to what I was provided. I kept contacting customer service to correct this problem from May 8th to May 3rd. They told only when my service is active on April 22nd, they will get me the best rate available online. Called again post April 22nd and I was told they can't do anything on rate (even if online rate is lower) as I signed up at Sam's. I checked Sam's Club reps and they told they only go with what Just Energy has stated. All reps/customer service is useless and misguide you. Eventually ended up cancelling the contract.

Just Energy response

Hello Vikas, we understand that one our customer service reps has spoken to you to address and resolve your concerns. If there is anything else that we can do for you please email us at pr@justenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Just Energy was referred to me by family. So far, working with their reps have been good, they explained things very well to me. Our service hasn’t started yet. They said it was gonna start sometime this week. But as of now, I would recommend them.

Original review: April 30, 2019

When I talked to the rep, Just Energy sounded like it would be a good idea. There are also some benefits where you can secure points and then get gift cards. I signed up with Just Energy through Sam's Club last month. The rep from Just Energy went online and helped me with it. The rep was a very nice young woman, and she did a good job.

Original review: April 27, 2019

First warning sign was a door to door salesman. Once we were signed up, we realized that our gas bill through PG&E was higher and that there was absolutely no savings whatsoever. In fact, we are paying a net increase of $30 more than if we made no changes and just stayed with PG&E. The salesman misrepresented that there would be a savings on our Natural Gas PG&E bill; not true at all. He also said that PG&E would only charge for delivery gas charges. This is true, but 95% of what PG&E charges is delivery charges, so there is no savings, but has resulted in an increase in our natural gas bill. Now I have to cancel this terrible contract which says there is a $150 cancellation charge. I am not sure how this company stays in business. I see a class action lawsuit in the future.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Just Energy has twice made major mistakes with my account. They cancelled my account twice and allowed another person to sign up for my account without providing me any notification that my account was being cancelled. When I called to talk to them about this the first agent hung up on me. When I called back the second time I was transferred to the wrong state and then had to talk to a third agent to get service. The agents are very rude; they are not helpful and don't want to work with you. They refuse to admit that they made a mistake. They think you are lying and will not help you. I would not use this company. I have switched to another provider, SCANA, and have received much better service.

Just Energy response

Hello. We do show in 2016 a tenant enrolled for services but gave the incorrect side/unit of your duplex. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Duke Energy put me with someone and when that guy came, he came with Just Energy. I was satisfied with everything he discussed with me. He let me see what I could save with them versus what I was already paying the other company. I then switched to them. Thus far, Just Energy has been a great energy company.

Just Energy response

Jackie, thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience, and for being a loyal Just Energy customer. We're thrilled to hear that you’ve been enjoying our service. We take pride in delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I've been with Just Energy for five days now. I knew of them since my mother is a customer, but I still did my research and that was why I decided to get their services. I had great interactions with their team and the person who was helping me was good. They explained things to me thoroughly and answered every question that I had.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Okay - this is the second time this has happened to me. I moved from one place into another place and got a balloon bill. This time around when I moved in January I made sure that I contact the company about the last bill from the last house that both bills will not be combined. I was informed and insured that it wouldn't be and that I had until July to pay that separate bill this month. I finally got my bill down to about $200. I get my bill online and it's almost $700 because they combined both bills.

Just Energy needs to keep their word and keep their promises and pay attention to the account and what was also arranged on the account before doing things like this. My plans on to contact their corporate or headquarters make some sort of payment arrangement and leave them for good. I have been feeling very uncomfortable with the contract that I have with them. I'm supposed to have free nights from 9 p.m. till 7 a.m. in the morning. I've been doing everything in my power to keep my bill down. I finally got my bill down to $200 this month and they decided that they wanted to put a 400 and some odd dollar bill combined with that as if a person who is dealing with a disabled child can pay that amount a bill at one time. The bill comes up to almost $700 now. I find this to be very unfair especially when I was informed that this will not happen. If you say I have until July to make the payment on a bill that was on a different home in that should be.

Just Energy response

Thank you for speaking with me Mr. and Mrs. Harris. I'm happy we were able to come up with a resolution satisfactory for you. Call me if you need anything.

Original review: April 20, 2019

A reference from a friend made me choose Just Energy, and I've had them for a week now. They've been very helpful and very good at communication. I've had a great experience with them.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses