Call toll free
3.34/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Established in 1997, Just Energy is an energy management solutions provider specializing in electricity and natural gas supply, green energy and energy efficiency tools. We have offices located across the US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany serving approximately two million customers. With customer-centricity at our core, we are focused on our key pillar of delivering customer value and positive experiences at every touch point. If you have a concern please contact us!

Just Energy Video
View More View More

524 Just Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I was talking to a guy at Sam's Club about Just Energy and he sounded like he had a good deal. I went with the company but then I canceled my service with them because the electric company that was picked for me ended up being cheaper than what Just Energy was charging. If their price were better, I would've probably stayed with them.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

On 11/7 at Sam's, I was approached by a nice representative from Just Energy, who advised that I could on my electricity bill by going with Just Energy. Since I'm in the process of moving, I stopped and reviewed the information and the examples of bills that they had. Once of the reps showed me her bill. I thought, what a great service! Sign me up. So I completed the information, had my credit run, was advised no deposit was needed because of my credit. The very next screen asked for a deposit. The rep requested a waiver on that screen, and proceeded to complete the process. I was told that it was a glitch, that I didn't need to pay the deposit. Later that evening I received an email stating my service would not activate until the deposit was paid.

I call first thing this morning to understand what was going on with this request and was advised several things. I had previously had service with Just Energy, my credit required a deposit, and the address required the deposit. To say I was surprised was an understatement. I immediately requested a cancellation and requested evidence of the cancellation be sent to me. I was advised that it is an internal service and one would not be sent to me. Another service provider does send such emails, so I requested a call back from someone in management to address situation. If I could rate this experience a zero stars I would.

Just Energy response

Hello Phaedra, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our organization will be contacting you soon to review your account with you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Called to have my power hooked up and asked how long it would take to have the power turned on as I have a special needs child that has special equipment that requires power. The rep I talked to said next day. Next day comes no power. Waited till 2:00 in the afternoon trying to be patient and called to see what was going on, and was told they couldn't find my account even though I was reading them the confirmation email they sent me. After pretty much being called a liar by the first rep saying it takes longer than that to have the power up. I was then transferred to a supervisor and treated the same way.

When I ask why their salesman would say it would be hooked up the next day she pretty much called me a liar. I asked her to listen to the recording as they record everything. All I got was silence then was told to call EPCOR and they could have it hook up the same day. I don't write reviews but this time something had to be said. How dare they put their sales before a child needs. Just Energy you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

My wife and I were in Sam's and were approached by a Just Energy representative. The representative made it sound like we could save money and as I am retired and on limited income. I decided to try them. They said they would pay 150.00 of my 200.00 early cancellation fee. I was told I would have a period of time to cancel with no questions asked. When I received the contract by email there were some things on it that was not represented to me. I called the number listed and talk to a very nice man who assured me it would be correct on the bill. I asked him if there was another plan that would fit me better but again assured he thought this was a good plan. When we got our first bill I was in shock.

Immediately called Just Energy and told them I wanted to cancel and go back to my old provider. After discussing the situation with the representative he told me what I needed to tell my old provider so I would not go without electricity in case of an overlap. I set it up with my old provider and they said because it had only been a few weeks they would not charge me the early cancellation of the contract. After a few weeks of not hearing from either company I called my old provider and was told that Just Energy denied the change. I too was told that if at any time I wanted to cancel with Just Energy all I had to do was give them notice first. So how can any company deny when I have canceled my service with them???

I called Just Energy and the representative could not believe this had been done and said the records showed it was denied because they thought it was a good contract. I do not care what they thought I no longer wanted their services. By this time I had another bill that was more than double the first bill which I had paid. I canceled again and have tried to talk to so many people about the bill and they either say they cannot do anything or they will call me back which they never do. Hence they turned me over to a collection agency. When I explained what was going on they gave me a number to contact someone else which has ended with them saying they cannot help me. I cannot get information to talk to the higher ups.

Back to getting service with my old provider. Because by this time it had been too long to take me back as a current customer they had to open my account as a new customer and their policy is to collect a deposit and the 200.00 dollar early cancellation fee from old account. Thankfully knowing the whole situation they worked with me. JUST ENERGY will NOT work with me at all and I do not know how to contact someone will more authority that will truly listen to this mess and help clear it up. The bill is absolutely ridiculously high and as I stated I am a retired and changed to Just Energy in good faith hoping to save money and the complete opposite happened.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I've been a valuable customer for 5 yrs. I went to transfer my service over & they would not transfer my plan. I asked for an accommodating rate since I've been with the company for 5 yrs... They wouldn't even look. All they wanted to do was argue with me & give me the highest priced plans. I'm not happy... Up till this point they had been very helpful, but since they have outsourced customer service it has been horrible. Also it's very hard getting a hold of anyone in customer service now.

Just Energy response

Hello Kristi, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our organization will be contacting you soon to review your account with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just Energy?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Sam's Club's reps talked me into going with Just Energy. When they were getting me to sign up, they were a little predatory. I've been with them for a few months but then it doesn't seem to be any different from my regular provider. My bill has been pretty much the same.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Just Energy was giving a gift card one time and I looked into their services. Their reps left a good impression on me and everything was very well done.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I signed up with Just Energy as a favor for a friend. This company has cost me a lot of money! I tried to cancel as soon as I got my first bill. And I kept seeing charges on my PG&E bill. There is nothing I can do. They wouldn't close my account if I didn't pay my PG&E bill. They shut off my electricity. I finally had to speak with a supervisor. She was very rude and I just suggest that no one ever gets tangled up with this company. If you think you're going to save money think again. It's cost me almost $200 now and it's only been 3 months. I only hope this is the end of it and I don't see another charge on my next bill.

Just Energy response

Hi Sandy- It was a pleasure speaking to you and we appreciate the feedback.

Let us know should you require any additional assistance from us.

Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I and my housemate have used service from Just Energy for the last 12 months but we only use gas for winter which is between the end of October and April. Everything seems to be fine until we stop using gas during summer. Every time we received the bill for amount of gas that we never used, we contacted the company immediately to provide them actual meter and ask them to cancel the bill, refund us the money. It has happened for 3 times and the third is the worst ever. I have never experienced such a bad service in my entire life.

I called the customer service to provide them real meter reading, emphasized that it has been 3 times that the money was deducted from the bank account for what we never used. They deducted more than 100e from the bank account and I have called 5 times and emailed one more time in nearly two month and I still don't get my money back. The first time I called, they promised but the bill was not cancelled. The second time I called, they promised but nothing happened. The third time, they said sorry and ask for the meter which I already provided. I asked why and they said they want the meter on that date. It was not my fault. They did not do their job, they got the money they should not get and tell me they will not reissued bills with the meter I already provided. What kind of service is that. I had to emailed them with the meter on that date and they reissued new bill with slightly higher meter that I provided in the email, marked as real one.

OMG I have no more word to describe my feeling anymore. From what I see from the new bill, I am supposed to get my money back after 10 days. The bill was issued from 6th Oct and now it is 21st Oct. I don't see my money at all. I definitely will fight to the last minute to get my money back and switch to a better provider as soon as I can. This is the worst company and service provider I have ever seen. Bring your quality up or all customers soon will walk away just like me. Don't be fool by the cheaper rate they offer. It is not worth it compared to the time, money you have to spend to deal with their team once something like this comes up.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Salesman came to door. He was very courteous and had proper ID along with a letter from Vectren which referenced our supplier AND look for contract expiration date (which we had already done). He explained that he was there today and today only to fix a huge problem majorly impacting my energy bill because supplier was still raising rates. All he needed was my account number. Right !? Gonna hand that over. He said I had to do this TODAY to receive the major savings of dealing directly with the energy distributor rather than the 3rd party I have a fixed cost contract with.

After I tried to call Vectren (Sat so couldn't) and informed him I would not be doing business with him until verifying with Vectren this isn't just a Dynergy competitor, all of a sudden the "must do today - today is the deadline" lightened to "please verify on Mon and I will touch base Tue of next week". As I understand I am golden with Dynergy which I have been very happy with, until our contract is up… sounds like a duck, smells like a duck, looks like a duck...

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Just Energy continues to charge me obscene amounts of money per month, double what my neighbor is paying in an identical 750 sq ft apartment. They will not respond to my emails. I finally was able to reach a customer service agent over the phone after being on hold for thirty minutes and she was so rude and accomplished nothing. She claimed a technician was coming to look at my meter and then I never heard anything again. My neighbor's electric company is so much better, charging half of what Just Energy is and she uses way more electricity than I do. I recommend looking elsewhere if you want a bill under $140 for a 750 sq ft apartment.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Was in Sam's Texas City and the Just Energy sales person told me that I would be able to cancel at any time as long I called and gave them 30 day in advance notice (lie). Also she told me that Just Energy would cancel my subscription that I had with my previous company (also a lie). Now I'm stuck with a bill from my "old electric company" and a bill from Just Energy. Don't believe these people, they'll lie just to get you to sign up.

Just Energy response

Hello Ubaldo, we're sorry to hear about your negative experience with Just Energy. We're glad that you gave us the opportunity to discuss your concerns and your feedback has been well received. Thank you for allowing us to resolve this matter for you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was walking around Sam’s Club and I listened to what Just Energy said. I liked the cost and the gift card. The interaction with the guy at the store was great and signing up with them went fine.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The Just Energy rep explained the service pretty well. She said that nothing would change with my monthly bill, and that only the provider would change. I got my first bill this month and I noticed that the cost went up a little bit. So I'm just gonna monitor it and see how it goes from there.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I went to Sam’s Club and a man from Just Energy asked some information about my natural gas and electricity bill and shared some information with me. Their offer was very competitive and offered Sam’s Club's gift card. Overall, they're good.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I'm always looking to see where I could cut costs. I was in Sam’s Club when I saw a Just Energy station and I saw the benefits they were saying, so I decided to get their services. The locked-in rate was very important because I know it could fluctuate. Every time that I've called Just Energy, everyone has been pleasant and helpful. I had to call a few times before because I wanted to check and see when the service was going to take effect as I was on budget dealing with my gas then and I wanted to see how that would affect that. Just Energy told me that I needed to talk to Peoples Gas and let them know that I'm with them now. My service has been active since September 3rd and everything has been great.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Just Energy seems a little better than the last provider I had and their cost also seems reasonable. I told the lady from Just Energy that helped us about the last providers I had and I was impressed with how she explained about Just Energy. We moved in already, but we’re still in the process of moving in so I’m scrambling and I haven’t had a chance to get all of my paperwork in order. She was telling me there are a lot of different things, and I’ve been getting their emails and letters. I’m gonna check my emails and go through all the little perks. I need to get to it and take advantage of the deals. But I received my $70 Sam’s Club Gift Card yesterday in the mail as a part of making the switch to them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

As my wife and I was walking down the aisle of Sam’s Club, a girl stopped us and started talking to us about Just Energy. She was energetic and she seemed like she was jamming and wanting to be part of the company. So, we allowed her to make some money and do a good deed by signing up and we've been with them for a month now. I noticed that my lights get dim every now and again when my AC kicks on. So far, my electricity is getting expensive. I got to call and see what I can do about that. I’m sure I don’t have a fluctuating rate with them. Overall, I’m satisfied with Just Energy. It’s all clean energy which is an okay benefit.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Service with Just Energy since 2012, enticed by a $70.00 Gift card - never received, after many calls they issued a bill credit of $25.00. Once the contract runs out (mine since July) they increase your rate by a huge amount (latest from 8.4c/Kwh to 20.9c/Kwh or 248% INCREASE). Since I have autopay, don’t pay attention to bills, so missed them literally stealing money from my account. End of September spoke with customer service, very apologetic, and offered 2500 points (worth $25.00 on the products they sell at inflated prices), as compensation, provided I sign up with a new contact around for 12.7c/Kwh.

Researched other providers found 7.5c/Kwhr- 5-star rated company by “Power To Choose” immediately switched. At the same time found many reviews with others having similar experiences. The rates change they enact to long term customers who forget to renew contracts, I believe is legal extortion at its finest. Strongly recommend to anyone DO NOT CHOOSE JUST ENERGY. Unable to upload PDF, more than happy to provide.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I was at Sam's Club minding my own business when a representative from Just Energy approached me. She offered me a gift card for signing up for a program, which I believed to be some kind of Sam's Club promotion. I kept asking the lady about this and she was only giving me cryptic answers. I had filled up the form with my details, but when I saw the last page of the form, I realized that she was trying to get me to switch from Consumers Energy to Just Energy. I told her that she was deceiving me and that I did not want to proceed. She lied to me that I dont need to worry since the text confirmation had not come through, so the switch would not happen. This morning I saw a mailer from Consumers Energy that I have asked to switch my provider.

Clearly the salesperson is a fraud peddler using deceit. Just Energy may be a good company but they need to be careful about who represents them. This happened at the Sam's Club in Madison Heights, MI. I will make sure I reach out to Sam's Club as well. And of course, the first thing I plan to do is to call Consumers Energy and cancel the change. I can't believe how the common man is being defrauded so blatantly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Just Energy came to my door and they got me at the right time so I went with them. I've had no problem with their representative and everything is okay.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I signed up at Sam's Club as many here have. The sales person told me I would save with free night program and that it started at 6 pm. I am in bed at 8 to 8:30 pm and gone by 4:30 am. My heat and most appliances are gas. So it took my usage and said my current billing of $135.00 for summer months would be $60.00. After doing the figures with their rates and no use at night my bill might even double now. I just want out.

Just Energy response

Hello Lamar, we regret your experience and appreciate your feedback. Customer experience is very important to us. At this time we do not show a current active enrollment for you. The pending enrollment has been cancelled per your request. Please call us if you have any further questions.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Just stay away from this scam energy company, they are simple thief, suck your money like crazy. I just stay 2 months with this horrible bad energy company and cancel my service. I started to received energy bill for 500 to 600 dollars when my house with others companies the higher bill was 180 US and the average that I pay is just 80 to 120 US monthly, and even that I have free energy nights that is not true. They bill higher kw and start to bill to according with the weather temperature.

Just Energy response

Hello Jaime, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our organization will be contacting you very soon to review your account with you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

The amount that they charge me for TDU Delivery Charges is ridiculous... It's like I am paying a double bill... 60 dollars just for delivery charges bill, plus the kilowatt plus state, city taxes plus crap extra fees... STOP CHARGING FOR DELIVERY CHARGES!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I "switched" my electrical company to Just Energy through a rep at Sam's Club. They took down all my information via iPad and even sent me a text where I had to accept all of their terms. They told me they would cancel my current provider and take care of all in regards to the switch. A month later I follow up because I have not received any information from them and now they claim they have no information on me and that I should go back to Sam's and meet someone there to do the entire process again. Great customer service? Where is all my personal information? My SSN?

Just Energy response

Hello Ruby, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our organization will be contacting you very soon to review your concerns with you.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have been with this company for about 5 years. I never had an issue with them. Very good rates overall. BUT now for some crazy reason because I didn't renew my contract on time with them they decide to charge me .20 cents kWh! My bill at the moment is $610.84! That is more than what I pay on my car. I been calling customer services since September 6, 2018 to advise them that this amount is ridiculous and I don't have the money to pay the bill. According to them, they put in a request to rerate my bill. I've called every other day to check on the status and no answer.

As of today, September 21, 2018 they don't have an answer for me, if they will be able to rerate my bill or not. Mind you my bill was due yesterday, so now I have a bill of $610.84 plus my new bill will be coming in any day now. I'm so frustrated with this whole situation. I cannot believe that there is no way to help me out. I have being a loyal customer, never have I try to switch companies, I don't call customer service for extensions on my bill, I always pay on time and for them to treat me like this, it just blows my mind. This company doesn't care about their customers. All they want is the money. I asked them what will happen if I cancel service with them and they said they will keep calling and sending letters to pay my balance with them. They will be quick to disconnected my services and to get their money but to help their loyal customers they give 2 **!

Just Energy response

Hello Gala, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our organization will be contacting you very soon to review your account with you.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I signed up for Just Energy at Sam's Club after the rep said it would not increase my gas cost. Well today I compared my gas bill from before I had Just Energy to one of my bills with Just Energy on it. I decided total gas charges on each bill by MCF used and the Just Energy bill costs more per MCF of gas. I'm not happy. It may only cost me a few dollars more per bill this time of year because only my dryer and water heater are using gas but this winter when my furnace starts running it is going to cost me a lot more. I definitely want to cancel Just Energy and get my gas from Consumers Energy again. I just don't know how to get ahold of them cause my Consumers Energy bill says Just Energy on it but doesn't have a phone number on it. I guess I will be contacting my lawyer if they don't cancel me without charging me a cancellation fee because the rep promised my gas rates wouldn't go up but they did.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I live in Dallas Texas. I was fine with them up until last month. My bill was $191. I thought that they had double billed me but it turns out that my contract expired. They had typed in my wrong email address for some reason and said that they call you a month prior to your contract expiring. I never received an email or a call. All I wanted was $91 knocked off of the bill. They chose to lose my business over issuing a credit to my account... Incredible. It's almost like their "I gotcha moment" little trap to gain margins on you. They even said that there was no record of a call. I have a reminder set in my phone to rewrite this experience weekly on sites like this to warn the public. Just pay more elsewhere... They were rude and indifferent to me on the phone. If they don't fix this I will cancel next month.

Just Energy response

Hello Christopher, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Someone from our organization will be contacting you very soon to review your account with you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Just Energy's rates are lower compared to other companies. My bill isn’t really that high. I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was approached by a Just Energy associate. I went with getting the service, but then realized I pay MUCH less than their quote. So I called the next day and discontinued the service. Now, when the associate was getting my information, he asked my social security number, and then said it WAS NOT FOR A CREDIT CHECK. Well, I get a stupid letter from them saying my credit score was bad and they cannot give me service... Well, 1. I discontinued the service the next day, 2. YOU RAN MY CREDIT! and 3rd my credit score is 714 (Equifax), so you are full of crap! And who the hell gave them permission to run my credit ESPECIALLY after you said you weren't? They are full of crap all the way around! I called and gave them a piece of my mind (got hung up on), and called back and made sure I was heard.

DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE! THEY LIE TOO MUCH! I hope they go out of business, and every one of them loses their job and goes homeless. I HATE LIARS in case you can't tell. Oh, and I have the letter they wrote saying they ran my credit, and my credit was not good enough. 714 is good credit, that lame company is just stupid and ran by dummies!

Just Energy response

Corporate and Consumer Relations of Just Energy was in receipt of your concern with Consumer Affairs regarding Just Energy enrollment. In wishing to address this matter with you, we have tried on several occasions to contact you by phone, unfortunately we are unable to get a hold of you. As a result, I have taken the opportunity to send you this message to extend an invitation for you to contact us. Thank you so much.

Just Energy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Just Energy is a national energy company that provides many Texans with Electricity.

• Variety: Just Energy offers a wide range of choice of programs for customers, including fixed rate options to avoid fluctuations in the market.

• Green initiatives: Just Energy has taken up many efforts to help the environment, including offering discounts on energy efficient light bulbs and investing $50 million dollars in helping to reduce carbon emissions.

• Community outreach: Just Energy focuses on doing charitable work for the communities around it.

• Large: The company is a big, international company, so often feels bureaucratic.

• Locations: Just Energy does not serve as many cities in Texas as some of the other large electricity companies do.

• Best for: Small businesses, midsize and big businesses