New York

3.8/5 (569 ratings)

About ConEdison

ConEdison Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Since last August (2021) stopped receiving monthly bills by mail and on the website "my account" for unknown reason. My payment was set to automatic, so withdrawals of 6-7 hundred every 6-7 months was painful. Last bill was in August, 2021. My numerous calls, chats, e-mails were unsuccessful. Nobody could explain to me what is going on. They just promised to fix everything and never did. Now probably they will send a bill for 13 months or more. How can I pay this amount at once? Why nobody replied to e-mails. Phone calls and chats were promised to fix everything. It's so disgusting. I'd dropped them long time ago, but they have a monopoly. Some bills coming by mail, but they all say "no payment due". That's impossible since August 2021.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Be aware of ConEdison's charges, invoices and lack of transparency - gas bills are arbitrary and not based on your usage. My son is renting a small studio while going to NYU. In December 2021, his gas charges went up from $62 to over $290. When called to verify the charges, we were told that the charges are based on last year's usage and that they'll come and check the meter. We continued to pay about $300 through March and called again and were told they understand the overcharge and escalated the issue to their accounting.

We sent a picture of the meter disputing their arbitrary meter numbers but they continued overcharging through April. In August, I called again for an update and was told the case is still under review. It's been nine months that they have overcharged us and they keep saying they don't know when this case will be resolved. I'm frustrated and angry about how New York allows this business to continue and disregard consumer complaints. Who is protecting consumers here?

Get buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2022

Con Edison is a big fat joke! They are just like Optimum, they nickel and dime every little thing with crappy service with expensive bills that just keep going up, and they blame everything on the customer. The past few months, my Con Ed bill suddenly went from being $250 to almost $900 a month, (Yes I get what's going on with inflation and Ukraine), but the customer service reps just don't care about their customers, and blame the high bills on us!! But instead of finding out the root causes of the high bills just like a normal respectful customer service agent would, Con Ed instead wants to fight with us over the phone and argue even after explaining our situation and speaking normally to them and they still try to fight us and blame it all on us, saying we can't fix it and telling us to conserve more energy next time!! Seriously I just want to yell at them and say I'm not gonna pay this until it's lowered! I swear I would!

We conserve as much energy as we possibly can like unplugging things, using less lights around the house, etc, but, I mean give me a break! They make it seem like we run a big box retail store in our house, it's unbelievable the way the representatives speak to us and treat us for the amount of money we pay and the amount of years we have been loyal customers, and instead of being understanding and maybe work to fix the issue with the high bills, instead, they wanna go against us and blame us for using so much.

There were multiple times when we had a power outage for days, even almost two weeks during a bad tropical storm, they left their customers on the backburner for two weeks in 90 degree heat, and they still send us a high bill saying we use too much... We have a 75 year old elderly mother who had to be in the sweltering heat with no AC or fan and no electricity last summer for two weeks because they couldn't fix jack crap, and we still receive a high bill, and no regard for their customers who had to suffer!

I'm getting sick and tired of their crap and paying almost $1K a month for absolutely subpar service, and I'm also getting sick and tired of the add on fees they keep adding every month, like I seriously think that Optimum and Con Ed are together because they both really like to screw their customers over and don't give a **, they both can go to hell with their big fat bills, and you know what? Next, I'm gonna call 7 on Your Side, maybe if they see the media coming after them and put them on blast and put them in their place, they'll actually start to finally giving a crap!

I cannot wait to move into a place with utilities included, because Con Edison is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, and I am very surprised by the way they screw their customers over that they haven't been shut down by the FBI!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I got a ConEdison saving electricity box and I started to use it. 1 month later they sent my father a letter saying that we were using 49% more energy than similar homes! While we were using their stuff that said that it would save our energy and save the amount of money we needed to pay for our bills. So in my opinion do not trust ConEd.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Con Ed is not adhering to agreements. For the past 5 years I have had my accounts with ConEd on auto-pay. They stopped taking auto-payments w/o notice 11/2020. In 2021, every bill ConEd sent stated that I had a negative balance. So I assumed that I had overpaid. On 11/3/21, I called and and found out that they had just decided to stop taking payments from my account. I set up auto-pay again with Ms. Carols/ConEd Rep, in spite of the fact that she could not tell me why they stop taking payments. 3 mos after payment setup, they helped themselves to an excessively large (5xs), payment out of my checking account on 2/08/22, in the amount of $842.32, (w/o giving me prior notice).

When I called to inquire, rep, Ms. ** stated that there was a spike in billing. She claimed that this was for 62 days. My usual monthly usage ranges from 444 - 490kwhr. ConEd had already done the actual reading when they installed the new meters in October 2021. The bills from November 2021 were for actual usage. The bill for 2/08/22, charged me for 3221 kwhr. That's a 75% increase in electric usage charge. They are still expecting me to pay for 2021 usage backbill, as per the agreement made in November 2021 - while not clearly explaining the overcharge that was supposedly a spike in market charges - that shows usage way above normal. ConEd has done this to me in the past, where the rep would state that my bill usage was lower than estimated and then they would send a bill with a dollar amount that was higher than the estimated bill and laugh when I inquired about it. NOT FUNNY!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I officially canceled ConEd service on 11/29/2021 because I moved out of NYC to another state where ConEd doesn't exist. ConEd sent me confirmation that they canceled my service on 11/29/2021. AND I paid the rest of my balance off on 12/21/2021. But today I received a bill from ConEd totaling over $400 for the Billing period: Dec 17, 2021 to Jan 20, 2022! The live chat on their website is inaccessible. They haven't responded to my email. And as I write this, I'm currently on hold with them for more than 30 minutes and haven't spoken to a human. They are unreachable. I'm so glad I never set up autopay because it would be even more of a nightmare trying to get my money back!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Long story short, I was late with my November payment, so I had to pay Nov and Dec. together, which was for 241.34. When I call to make the payment for those 2 months, ConEd said, I had to pay 666.33 Due to non payment. There’s a holding fee for 425.00. I said, “I will not pay for that amount”; I will only pay for what I owe and I will call consumer affairs. After a minute the lady kindly said okay, “I will waive the hold if you promise to pay the January payment by the 01/11/2022." When did ConEd start charging so much for late fee?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Literally their name tells you they're a Con. Forced to pay previous tenants bill almost $2,500. I sent proof of lease, previous address and id. They saw that no one lived in the apartment for the past 6 months but will not open an account until the previous tenant bill is paid. The former tenant stills get her internet/tv bill there, told them her name, they said they can't track her down. It's the landlord responsibility. I asked them why didn't they close the electricity when the squatter was staying here they said they couldn't because of covid. If the Landlord had to pay her to move since you can't evict people because of covid. Maybe they would have moved sooner it ConEd did their job and closed their electricity. The government needs to investigate Coned because their actions should be illegal forcing working people to pay the lowlife bills.

Original review: April 14, 2021

As a landlord I have three with them on the same building. An error in their internal systems resulted in their inability to communicate full bank account number to the bank on two of the ConEd accounts (they were missing the last digit). The other ones were fine. As a result the bank returned their request for payment saying such account doesn't exist.

They turned around and put a block on automatic payment those two ConEd accounts blaming their own deficient internal processes and automation on me. They are unable to comprehend that they have processed payment using the same bank account on other the ConEd account at the same address and the challenge is with their own internal processes and systems. Their "customer service" is disrespectful and unable to understand that the words they choose in communicating with the client can easily be insulting but they do not care. We need their assets confiscated, their last mile monopoly eliminated, more open market competition in generation and distribution, especially the latter.

Original review: March 23, 2021

What an irony that someone had similar problem.. I moved in the month of Feb to a new apartment, just 2 blocks from my old apartment. Now the funny part is my old apartment was 3 bedroom flex 4 bedroom.. 4 roommates with 1 refrigerator and a tiny microwave.. In NYC in the hot summer, 3 roommates having A/Cs and 1 roommates just fan, my Con Ed bill was half of what I got in this new apartment. I lived for 2yrs and 6months in the old apartment, when I saw the bill for 5weeks in my new apartment the number didnt make sense, 'cause the new apartment we are only two of us and also we are energy saver.. So the entire 2 bedroom electricity is always turned off, and we are barely home...

We believe in saving electricity, water etc.. If it is not needed we shouldn't be wasting it.. When we are home we are in our bedroom 'cause we dont have sofa yet to sit in the living room, we just moved here and all lights except the bedroom is turned off and now we just use our cell phone. No computer, nothing. when I explained this to the ConEd guy, he said "the meter in your old apartment wasnt working..." without even asking my old add.. And I told him, "Oh so the meter wasnt working for 2 yrs and 6 months?? Hhhmm..." And I said, "It doesnt make sense..." And he said, "We can't refund you for that," and I said, "Who said anything about refund???" And he was shut...

Dude this isnt about money honestly... Also he was very rude from the beginning... I told him if someone is going to scam me and you think I should just pull my CC out and pay them, when I work so hard to making a living?? Then he went on telling me that the bill was wrong 'cause I got charged for the previous month as the refrigerator was on... The funny part is that the refrigerator was never on... I turned it on 1 day before I moved here.. I am a customer service manger and I have been one for past 8 yrs now... If you are going to have an attitude and lie to your consumer or customer you make sure you are good at it!! I told him, "After this call listen to your call and ask yourself if everything you said to me made sense. Thank you."

ConEdison author review by Jonathan Trout

ConEdison got its start in 1823 when it was called the New York Gas Light company. Today, it provides energy to more than 10 million people across New York City and Westchester County. ConEdison focuses on building a sustainable future through renewable energy while minimizing consumption and saving you money.

• Energy sources: ConEdison uses a combination of renewable energy sources and generating stations to generate electricity. ConEdison uses solar energy, wind or water to bring electricity to your home or business.

• Rebates and incentives: ConEdison offers multiple rebates and incentives to its customers, including rebates for upgrading to energy efficient HVAC units. You can also receive $30 for purchasing a new room AC unit and $110 back when you replace your thermostat with a smart thermostat.

• Smart usage rewards: ConEdison will pay you to temporarily reduce your electric usage. For every 100 kilowatts you reduce, you can earn up to $18,000 per year. Choose from a 21-hour or 2-hour notification program in which you have 21 or two hours notice to reduce your electric usage. You must have a communicating interval meter to use this program.

• Nonprofit work: ConEdison offers grants and volunteer programs for nonprofits in New York City and Westchester County. Additionally, you can donate to help neighbors in need keep their lights and heat on.

• Convenience: As a ConEdison customer, you can pay your bill, report a problem and set up new service from the company's homepage. You can also report power outages, track repair progress, view an outage map or file a claim online.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team