New York

1.3/5 (298 ratings)

About ConEdison

ConEdison Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: April 14, 2021

As a landlord I have three with them on the same building. An error in their internal systems resulted in their inability to communicate full bank account number to the bank on two of the ConEd accounts (they were missing the last digit). The other ones were fine. As a result the bank returned their request for payment saying such account doesn't exist.

They turned around and put a block on automatic payment those two ConEd accounts blaming their own deficient internal processes and automation on me. They are unable to comprehend that they have processed payment using the same bank account on other the ConEd account at the same address and the challenge is with their own internal processes and systems. Their "customer service" is disrespectful and unable to understand that the words they choose in communicating with the client can easily be insulting but they do not care. We need their assets confiscated, their last mile monopoly eliminated, more open market competition in generation and distribution, especially the latter.

Original review: March 23, 2021

What an irony that someone had similar problem.. I moved in the month of Feb to a new apartment, just 2 blocks from my old apartment. Now the funny part is my old apartment was 3 bedroom flex 4 bedroom.. 4 roommates with 1 refrigerator and a tiny microwave.. In NYC in the hot summer, 3 roommates having A/Cs and 1 roommates just fan, my Con Ed bill was half of what I got in this new apartment. I lived for 2yrs and 6months in the old apartment, when I saw the bill for 5weeks in my new apartment the number didnt make sense, 'cause the new apartment we are only two of us and also we are energy saver.. So the entire 2 bedroom electricity is always turned off, and we are barely home...

We believe in saving electricity, water etc.. If it is not needed we shouldn't be wasting it.. When we are home we are in our bedroom 'cause we dont have sofa yet to sit in the living room, we just moved here and all lights except the bedroom is turned off and now we just use our cell phone. No computer, nothing. when I explained this to the ConEd guy, he said "the meter in your old apartment wasnt working..." without even asking my old add.. And I told him, "Oh so the meter wasnt working for 2 yrs and 6 months?? Hhhmm..." And I said, "It doesnt make sense..." And he said, "We can't refund you for that," and I said, "Who said anything about refund???" And he was shut...

Dude this isnt about money honestly... Also he was very rude from the beginning... I told him if someone is going to scam me and you think I should just pull my CC out and pay them, when I work so hard to making a living?? Then he went on telling me that the bill was wrong 'cause I got charged for the previous month as the refrigerator was on... The funny part is that the refrigerator was never on... I turned it on 1 day before I moved here.. I am a customer service manger and I have been one for past 8 yrs now... If you are going to have an attitude and lie to your consumer or customer you make sure you are good at it!! I told him, "After this call listen to your call and ask yourself if everything you said to me made sense. Thank you."

Get buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I used to live 3 minutes away (in car) from my new house, now when we moved to the new house our electricity usage went from 300 Kwh to 730 Kwh in one month! The new house is almost the same size as the old one, the appliances (fridge and microwave) in the new house are smaller and energy saver (LG). When I called to ask about the change in my supply charge, the lady who answered me said that the average usage of the neighborhood is around this number, also the previous tenants’ electricity usage was around this number!

Above all that, she added that this summer the number is going to duplicate!!!! (according to her that is the average use of energy in the neighborhood!) I explained that the previous tenants’ usage of electricity has nothing to do with ours, we are energy savers, all our appliances are energy efficient (energy star). Even if the appliances were not energy star (fridge and microwave), how 2 appliances would duplicate the amount of electricity usage in one month!!!

My concern is that why they keep comparing our usage to previous tenants of the house or neighborhood?! What they fail to understand that some families use more electricity than others (depends on the family member etc.). I asked them to send somebody to check the meter but they said there is no appointments available for now! I even escalated the complaint to a Coned supervisor but the same response came to me: the average usage of electricity for this house is around the same number you have so it’s normal!!! I noticed something, that in my old house the meter was not a digital but in the new house the meter is the smart one. So, people think twice before updating your meter to a smart one.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Con Edison made a huge billing mistake. I am on autopay. They will not stop payment but will send me a check EVENTUALLY FOR THE $1400.00 error. OR IF THE PAYMENT can be stopped BY ME they will not reimburse the bank fee that I will be charged for that cancellation. BUT of Course this is my fault because I did not call them about it 2 days sooner even though I just received the bill and it's not my fault the mail is ultra slow these days. Do NOT use autopay to Con ED.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Not even sure where to start. Perhaps their atrocious, 1998-like website functionality, or their half-dozen different numbers to call, which of course always lead to ridiculous, Byzantine voice menu hell, seldom resulting in being able to speak with a human being. Or maybe it's just what happens when you give a company a monopoly, and they no longer care because they don't have to. The reality is, Con Ed would have been put out of business decades ago by even a slight amount of competition. They don't innovate, they don't provide good service, and they are nearly impossible to get on the phone. Even when you are trying to pay! What business does that? None. They are not a business. They are an idiotic, bureaucratic government-like edifice that should be put to sleep.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

CONED is the biggest scam I have ever seen. Because of Covid 19 they have been charging me for the apartment I haven't even been at and have had zero electricity or gas usage in, 2019 rates for those months because they "weren't doing in person readings." They told us "but don't worry, if you send a real reading of your meter then we will retroactively update you account and credit you back". Long story short, I had my Super take a picture, I sent to them back in July and after months of HOUNDING them to credit me back since March 2020 they came back with a $40 credit. I HAVE PAID OVER $350 DOLLARS.

Due to Covid 19 we are sick, unemployed, low on money, and this is how ConEd treats us. It's repulsive. They have a monopoly on NYC so you usually have no choice to go with them. The government needs to get this disgusting company out of here and shut down for good. I am telling you - if you have the option - go with ANYONE else.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We have solar panels on our roof that generate electricity back into our grid when we are producing more energy than we are consuming. The department that handles this within our service provider of ConEdison is called Net Metering. I have made several calls to this department and have been told each time that in order to see this credit (the kWh hours my system is creating) I need to go outside and watch the meter run backwards. This would mean I have to be outside during the entire day (every day of that billing period) to account for this credit as these hours are never identified on our monthly bill. Extremely questionable and very nontransparent on the part of Con Edison. Does anyone else see an issue with this process?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I smelled something strange, like gas leak, but not sure, so I called ConEdison for emergent gas check up. A guy came very quickly. After testing, he told me it was not gas problem, maybe AC system was leaking. Anyway it has nothing to do with gas. However, he called for help from his company. A big truck and a big digging machine arrived minutes later, and also came more guys. Two fire engines were also called in. They dig on one of the gas well near my house and did something, then they covered it.

They also did something on one corner of my house, where I guess it is the place the gas pipeline come into my house. I am very suspicious of what they did. If nothing wrong, why did they dig their gas well and the corner of my house. One guy, looked like a boss, told me I should call AC guy to check. But several hours after they left, the strange smell was gone. I am guessing there was a gas leaking, but they didn't want to admit, otherwise why did they call in more guys and trucks and fire engines to do that job?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

A big tree limb hit the electric service wire that runs across the street and causes a big lean in pole no. My service wire got detached from house from the tension BUT unless you lose power they won't fix anything. Any tickets called in and now calls to the PSC.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Con Edison installed smart meters (gas and electric) in our development, Mystic Pointe located in Ossining NY, in late 2017/early 2018. Since then, we have seen double digit, year over year increases in select months, in the costs of gas supply ($ per therm supplied or used), gas delivery ($ per therm delivered) and electric delivery ($ per kw delivered). We use another ESCO for electric supply FYI, so that is not a Con Ed issue. It is impossible to determine if these Con Ed price increases correspond, or not, to the approved state of NY price increases that have been negotiated by Con Ed and approved by state lawmakers. The "meeting notes/reports" from Albany are sometimes 110-120+ pages, and are in technical speak, not regular English.

We learned this month that, after a $3400 gas bill (supply and delivery) for the 4/15-5/15/20 time period, that the smart gas meter had malfunctioned. Con Ed's own tech examined the meter, then told us that there was a broken part in the meter, and "the meter was spinning too quickly." Additionally, we are not the only household experiencing this issue. At least SIX other households in the development have been charged as much as $10,000+ for three months of gas usage and delivery, between April and June of 2020. We also have no idea when our home's meter broke, calling into question all bills from Con Ed since January 2018.

We think that Con Ed bought and installed faulty smart gas meters, and that they have no idea how long that they have been malfunctioning. Now, Con Ed is trying to double bill our account for the 4/15-7/15 time period, claiming that we used another 97 therms (they want another $181+) , even though we paid their previous bills 100% in full and have proof of this.

Further, natural gas costs are so low, shale oil producers are burning off natural gas finds/creating methane in the air, because they cannot make any money putting the gas in containers or pipelines and transporting it for sale. This being the case, how have our gas supply costs not decreased proportionately? Additionally, why is the delivery portion of the average monthly con ed bill 75% or more of our monthly bill? We are being billed $3 for every $1 of unit of energy used (therm or kilowatt), through the same pipes and wires that have been in place since the house was built in 1996. We also have no overhead wires or poles, so this is not due to storms and repair issues for our development or home.

Someone needs to call Con Ed on the carpet for this. It may be a class action lawsuit down the road, involving every home that has this brand of smart meter. We have no idea if it affects the electric smart meters as well. This may affect dozens or hundreds or thousands of Con Ed customers throughout New York State and in other US states.

ConEdison author review by Jonathan Trout

ConEdison got its start in 1823 when it was called the New York Gas Light company. Today, it provides energy to more than 10 million people across New York City and Westchester County. ConEdison focuses on building a sustainable future through renewable energy while minimizing consumption and saving you money.

• Energy sources: ConEdison uses a combination of renewable energy sources and generating stations to generate electricity. ConEdison uses solar energy, wind or water to bring electricity to your home or business.

• Rebates and incentives: ConEdison offers multiple rebates and incentives to its customers, including rebates for upgrading to energy efficient HVAC units. You can also receive $30 for purchasing a new room AC unit and $110 back when you replace your thermostat with a smart thermostat.

• Smart usage rewards: ConEdison will pay you to temporarily reduce your electric usage. For every 100 kilowatts you reduce, you can earn up to $18,000 per year. Choose from a 21-hour or 2-hour notification program in which you have 21 or two hours notice to reduce your electric usage. You must have a communicating interval meter to use this program.

• Nonprofit work: ConEdison offers grants and volunteer programs for nonprofits in New York City and Westchester County. Additionally, you can donate to help neighbors in need keep their lights and heat on.

• Convenience: As a ConEdison customer, you can pay your bill, report a problem and set up new service from the company's homepage. You can also report power outages, track repair progress, view an outage map or file a claim online.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team