1.32/5
Based on 250 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

New York

347 ConEdison Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Bar restaurant opened since 1944, back in March 2018 needed to upgrade the business, had complained to ConEd many times about paying for gas while doing construction and with the meters valve shut off to prevent any accidental old pipe disturbance causing leaks. Now am at beginning of July. I am ready to open, the plumbing acting in good faith get the blue cards, then apparently according to the plumber the commercial meter need to be upgraded, and called ConEd for inspection. This is all after all new gas pipes being installed and blue cards approved. On July 06 ConEd show up and called emergency services working overtime to cut my service at the gas curb valve, can someone explain? I was scheduled to open on July 10, can someone explain why over a month later I am still without gas service, after complying with all his requests?

Original review: July 11, 2018

ConEd gambles not blocking off active manhole covers. 2 heat and steaming manhole covers shooting steam 20 feet in the air were active the next day which in turn burned most of my engines components from under the van, there were no signs, no smoke, no yellow markers, nothing. Just a legal parking. I have been stuck in the same block two months. I have spent $900 in parts. I filed and sent them a "Claims Form" as per directions. It's been over a month. ConEd has not replied. Will go to small claims court in a few days. Maybe I should call John Quinones. Currently Sore almost done.

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Let me start off by saying, I live in a supportive housing 2bd room apt in the Bronx. I live with my husband & our daughter, she's only 13 & spends her time in school. My husband is disabled so he's bedridden most of the time. I got a bill from ConEd of 634.00. When I called the lady was very rude & nasty. She explained I owed 166 past balance because this new bill just kicked in so 166 + 187 (current) which brings it to 354 then, they are asking a security deposit of 258 which brings it to 638. Wtf. 258 security deposit for what? I'm a customer since I've been 18 yrs old, I'm 36 now. Oh, & I haven't even used my air yet. I can't even imagine how much my bill will be then. Smh.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We moved to Midwood New York from Carroll Gardens, we are both disabled. At the present time we are experiencing serious issues with Con Edison. Whoever build this building it seems they made serious mistakes with the electrical connections, back in December 2017, Con Ed came to check all the apartments and they found that mostly all of the apartments had wire issues and the wires of several apartments were not properly connected to the meters. We were told by the Con Ed employee that they found the issue and they will resolved it immediately and they did. During an entire day they fixed all the issues.

We barely used the electricity, we try to save as much money as we can. We were paying around 38 dollars during winter time and every month for some reason the electrical bill keeps getting expensier and the top we pay for April and May has been of almost 79 dollars per month. Yesterday June 8th 2018 we check online and we were shock to see that our bill was $512.42, we contacted them and spoke with Mr ** in Spanish who was rude and nasty, refused to listen and become very angry and later hang up on us. Due to the fact that we are from a different country than he is he was very racist with us, he also refused to transfer us with his supervisor and then after I told him I was recording him he did transfer us with a supervisor and he continue being nasty, all that is recorded and he consent to be recorded.

We then called back and at the same time I email Con Ed customer service and also sent them a Facebook message. At around 6:49pm we spoke with Ms ** who was kind and was shock when she read the bill statements, and realize that there was a mistake. I point out to her that since December 2017 until yesterday June 7th 2018 we had the same meter number, we can see the meter number in our monthly bill statement, but all of a sudden on June 8th 2018 we had a new meter number that we never had before. It seems either the Con Ed employee made a mistake or someone illegally change our meter, and that could had happened on the week of May 18 or May 25 2018 when it was a blackout in our block and we had no lights for about 8 hours or more.

We explained all this to a supervisor, Mr ** who either was confused or refused to repair their mistake, he told us first that we had to pay all that money, $512.42, even though if we did not used it, I told him that a possible crime was committed when someone either illegally change our meter or when his employee took the meter reading and made a mistake.

And after going back and forth I told him that I will have to contact my local Council Member or find a lawyer and contact a News media to find a solution, because we were told that they may cut our lights and also forced us to pay the bills plus late fees, even though we never used all that light as this is their mistake. He agree he will start an investigation and also that we will not have to pay late fees, but It is 5:14am on June 9th 2018 and I noticed that they change the payment day and instead of being June 20th 2018 yesterday June 8th 2018 they change the payment date to June 4th 2018, THAT IS 4 DAYS AGO.

I have proof of all of the invoices, also I have access online and I copy all of the invoices with their mistake on PDF files plus all the new additions that they want us to pay. About 30 minutes ago (4:40am), we noticed that they keep changing our invoice and now they are adding $497.50 dollars to the original $512.42, plus another $189.88, plus $41.11, plus $349.70, plus $47.20, plus $221.56, the total amount for all this is $1859.37, and they are saying that this is an additional adjustment they put in our bills from December to the present.

This is a total scam from Con Ed or an issue that Miss ** (Con Edison customer service employee), noticed when she look at all of our statements and stated that it seems they read the wrong meter and the amount of money and electricity belongs to the lobby lights, the tv screens from the lobby, the hallway, the elevator and not from our apartment. We checked the payments we did in 2016 and 2017 and they are half price of what Con Ed, after they install the smart meter reading saids we need to pay.

Also since December 2017 until June 2018 a Con Ed worker came in person to read the meters and register to our meter# but all of a sudden the "Smart Meter" change our meter reader number and now our electrical triplicate. Again, my Mother and I are both disabled, we live with our sister and we can not afford to pay all this money because we have not used all this electricity and like I stated before, we only have 1 meter for our apartment and Con Ed is charging us for 2 meters, instead of 1.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Trying to make my contribution to save the environment, I had our electrical system upgraded and provided for the installation of a separate meter for charging an Electric Vehicle in September 2017. The electrical company filed the necessary application with ConEd. Not having heard anything I contacted ConEd in November and was told the case had been closed, without informing the customer(?), because the documentation supplied was incomplete.

Since I could not get anywhere with ConEd, I wrote to Sustainable Westchester who helped me in opening a new case. I also filed a Service Request and paid the security fee. The problems with insufficient documentation persisted and I had to play conduit between ConEd the electrical company. Finally, in January 2018, the documentation was complete. ConEd stated they would do a final inspection and service would be activated "within 20 days or less". Nothing happened. In late March I noted that a meter had been installed. Sounded great but still no power. Tried to contact ConEd and was advised that my case was now with the Energy Department. Was unable to contact the Energy Department because I could not download the app and the link did not work.

Wrote to the general contact link of ConEd - no response. Followed up, still no response. Tried to call ConEd; they said without a Energy Dept case number they could not help me. (Kaffka would be proud of this). What can I do? After EIGHT months I cannot charge the car and utilize the energy savings. Gave ConEd a one star because there is no provision for a ZERO. Any help/suggestions?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: April 20, 2018

ConEdison is the worst company, very rude with poor customer service, such a disrespect for customers. New York should consider different options, I think people of New York State deserve better gas and electric company.

Original review: April 5, 2018

ConEdison in NYC: Apparently they saw a significant increase in our power usage for the winter. Because it was so high, they waited a month to make sure it wasn't a fluke and instead of relaying any of this info - they told us they couldn't access the meters and sent us an est. that was 1/6th of the actuality. After 3 months, they determined there was no issue on their end and we indeed are using way more electricity (there was a hidden draft behind the heaters) and sent us a bill for $1600. How is that policy anywhere?

To see smoke, and instead of sharing that, send us a laughably low est. only to drop a bill in our laps 3+ months later letting us know, 'turns out, there was definitely 'fire' 3 months ago'. Had we gotten that initial high bill, we would have had time to adjust and discover the structural issue. They are legally allowed to withhold a meter reading from us simply because it spiked and tell us it's because they can't access the meters all while giving an unprecedented low estimate? Why didn't they give us that first high bill???

Original review: April 3, 2018

Con Edison is the only company I know that uses strong-arming techniques to abuse customers. For example, they come with claims of missing old payments, going back months. People should be aware that Con Edison take advantages of customers claiming late payments, where there is none. Or in my case, I made a payment plan, they, later on, denied a payment plan was in place. It is not one thing is something else always.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I moved into my grandparents' Forest Hills house around July 2017. Since then we noticed the Con Ed Utility box is leaking water from the street into my basement causing physical damage to the stairs including mold growth. The stairs need replacing because of the damage, but I am weary to replace them until Con Ed fixes the utility box to prevent damage to any new structure. In addition, I am severely allergic to mold, & it triggers my seizures. My doctors have even advised me to move because mold drastically inhibits my health. I live in a two family house, & the bathroom in my apartment is in the basement. My family has yet to get tenants in the second apartment (which would be their main income) just so I can use the bathroom there.

I have contacted Con Ed numerous times explaining the structural damage to my property & my health issues caused by their utility box, but they do not consider it an emergency. In their last email reply, they had wrote me: "In regards to your e-mail, we apologize for the issue you are having. Your water leak issue has been recorded as of 2/25/18 . When our construction department is in your area they will contact you when an appointment becomes available to correct the issue. This unfortunately can take additional time. We would encourage you to reach out to the FDNY by contacting 911, if you feel this is an immediate emergency."

"Please be aware that our wires and equipment are well insulated, protected, and made to stand up to the elements, therefore a safety concern should really never arise due to water. However if you do see sparking wires, smell burning, or experience problems with your electric service, please alert us immediately. When an appointment is scheduled we will pack the service duct from outside (underground in our manhole) and inside the property with cement and foam. If the FDNY is contacted they will perform a similar process."... My electrician said there is nothing I can do to fix the issue myself because it is Con Ed's property (therefore they are liable for it as well). I do not have the money to move again... I just want to live in my house without getting sick...

Original review: March 2, 2018

ConEdison is the only company I can say that I have never had a problem with. My account is always right and even if I am a little late I do not have to worry about them turning off my power with giving me time to make a payment. They proved one of the best services and I’m very happy with them. Now if Verizon could improve their services to work as well as ConEdison does that would be great!!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

ConEd - what can one say when you have no choice but to pay into a monopoly. Service overall is decent but their rates are consistently going up quicker than most people’s incomes - it just sucks.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I had an incidence of a very high bill and ConEd immediately sent a tech. She said that all was working accurately but she noticed that my meter was next to the building's meter and that maybe someone was using my meter. It never happened again because I think that whoever was using my meter realized I suspected their use.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

ConEd is notorious for following along with the character of New York State, in that it's well known that Westchester County is one of the most expensive places to live in the United States. Therefore ConEd has no difficulties with 'staying that course', and 'delivering' the most ridiculously expensive power on record! Luckily I'm no longer a ConEd subscriber, so my monthly expenses have become almost reasonable. In Westchester County, one of the most prevalent reasons folks have for moving out or into various areas, is to reduce the cost of energy, and 'getting away' from ConEd is an event that comes with great celebration. Of course, no place in NY, at least in the area near New York City, it's still nowhere near 'cheap' to power one's home or business, but if folks can find places for home or businesses that use NYSEG (New York State Electric and Gas) or other suppliers, it's a pretty big deal.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I don't believe ConEdison. They are just good marketing company. They advertise that consumers will get paid if they install low energy product. That lie. My contractor tell me, "You will not get nothing from them, none of my customers never get paid rebate." TRUE.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Had ConEdison for two years at a lock rate. When two years was up. They would not extend the rate. So, I switch to Titian for a year at a lock rate. Of course, Conedison want me back. I gave you your chance. As I can check the state choice. Maybe I will return end of the year.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I don't have a choice of utility companies as the renewable energy companies are too expensive for me. I find the energy bills to be high but can't complain about the service as I haven't had black or brownouts.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I feel that the power company has increased the amount they charge customers even though there are alternative and cheaper ways to generate power. I speak to other consumers in different regions and they pay a fraction of what I pay. You would think I was running a business with the bills I see regularly which is making me re-think living where I do now and consider moving elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

ConEd needs to update their computer system. When I'm out of the country, usually for six weeks, I can't pay my bill online because ConEd (notice the similarity to "conned") will not accept payments from outside the U.S. for "security" reasons. This is utter nonsense... They just don't want to upgrade their system to be able to do this. Funny, I pay my property taxes, water bill and credit cards from half a world away but not ConEd. While I'm at it, I want to relate something that happened. I was in the airport lounge waiting for my flight and tried to pay my ConEd bill online. It was 10 or 11 p.m. (This was at Kennedy Airport in NYC). Would you believe these dolts had shut the system down already? Sorry, but you maintain your system during off hours, not during the evening. And this garbage is what we're paying the highest rates, if not, among the highest utility rates in the nation for.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have often found that the automated service malfunctions, even under quiet conditions. The cust service rep I spoke to was sarcastic and condescending. I had to use Fisor to complete payment with my debit account, which charges a fee. Why should I have to pay a fee in order to pay with my debit card, when ConEd’s service isn’t working?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Con Ed has put my entire family in danger for no apparent reasons. I recently did an oil to gas conversion and they failed their inspection because they claim that my licensed plumber was not allowed to turn off the gas even though they had the permit from the department of buildings to do so. They also failed it due to the location of the meters which have been there for years and Con Ed has come to inspect it many many times. We rectified all the issues they had and they still made me wait 2 weeks so I had 3 senior citizens and 1 pregnant person in the home. They are all about covering their butts and completely inhumane. They treat their customers like crap because they know we don't have a choice.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My disgust starts with the whole process of restoring gas and hot water to our home. A ConEd representative came into our home to check on our gas lines after doing street construction and ruining the gas lines to all the homes in front. The rep shut off our gas and informed it was just a chimney problem and a plumber isn't required. We took 1 week to clean the chimney to filter out the gas appropriately. Called ConEd back to restore the gas, and they informed a plumber is needed.

We had to apologize to our plumber and they started the process. KEEP IN MIND CONED WILL NOT TELL YOU THE WHOLE STEPS NEEDED UNTIL YOU QUESTION THEM. This is in fact a 7 - 8 step process. Don't believe any liars telling you otherwise to get gas/hot water installed back. 1. Get a plumber. 2. Have the plumber inspect the problem. 3. Plumber hires expeditor. 4. Expeditor files paperwork. 5. Expeditor requests for a permit from the DOB and the blue card (2 week wait, I had to go to the DOB personally to expedite this to rush the process). 6. Obtain the permit/blue card and the plumber starts the work. 7. Submit a request for ConEdison to inspect. 8. Get screwed over with the results and request your plumber to redo the work again.

My problem with ConEd is how they failed to communicate the problem originally, wasted all of our times and resources, forced us to pay extra for the correct pipes with the correct dimensions. Our final inspection results were failed because the pipe was 0.5 too small, not fit to the standard. THIS WAS NOT COMMUNICATED AT ALL AT THE BEGINNING. And we're running around like mad dogs playing this waiting game. Now we're agonizingly waiting for the gas to shut down completely, reschedule the plumbers to make the repairs for the second inspection, submit another checklist to ConEdison, and then schedule a 2nd inspection. This experience started since 7/20/17, it is now almost 2 months. At this point, we don't have much faith in this company.

By the end of the day, they only care about not being liable for explosions and will drag out this process as long as possible to protect themselves. Take a look at the 2014 explosion that killed 8 people and they settled with paying $155 million. Take a look at the East Village explosion that destroyed a building and injured 10 people. When I point out concerns how this impacts our residents and elderly in need of hot water, there's not a care in the world. Just the same monotone robotic response. I'm sure there's plenty out there with health consequences from this long process to restore gas. No gas to cook food, no gas to boil water, no gas to start the heat. Please don't be afraid to speak up. The city doesn't care and won't start until you start to post your words on threads like these.

And believe you me, I will report this to the Department of Human Services in NYC. You may protect us for the "safety" reasons of gas explosions (hard to believe that) but just building up health risks and endangerment from your poorly developed process. 2 months or more is an insane amount of time to restore hot water, heat, and cooking gas for all residents in NYC. Enough said.

Original review: July 28, 2017

When I moved here to small apt near my prior large home I expected much lower bills. When my bills were way too high I contacted ConEd. They gave a new meter but left the same Meters for other tenants and nothing changed. Finally all three meters were changed plus no more estimates (read outside) and although my bills are not less than the home they are not 3-4 times more as before. Since I paid the higher bills all along I should be given refund now but they are still harassing me to pay bills from the time I first moved in and that are in error. My usage is low and the changed meters happened in 2015. This is so cruel to prolong it still with concrete proof. It's irrational.

Original review: June 13, 2017

The town in which I live in has a special contract for electricity. I choose to opt out which I did by the special card that was sent in the mail & by calling ConEdison. It did not appear on bill for several months as I opted out yet going through my bills I was put back into that program in September. It is not the minimal difference that bothers me, it is the principle of the matter. I didn't see it initially and I brought it to the attention of ConEdison. They offered no real legitimate explanation and failed to recognize their own absurd error. Rep said they did not have any record of me calling the first time which highlights a level of incompetency & failure to input simple information correctly! They ignored the consumer's direct request and failed to satisfy me with any explanation. Rep sounded like a broken robot by continually saying "Well, um, um, I don't know." Well what I DO KNOW is as the consumer this indicates total lack of responsibility on *Con*Edison's behalf.

Original review: May 4, 2017

The website to pay a residential utility bill is horrible, I shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes just to get to the login screen. The charges and fees are should be criminal... I used .23 cents in gas but with the service/delivery charge and four other "adjustments" it's $24. I used $13 of electricity but with all the adjustments, charges, and fees it was $58 dollars. This is highway robbery and NYC don't give a **. I guess someone has to pay for their fleet of Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicons though! And make sure if you can't pay your bill online to pay by mail, otherwise they'll charge you $250 security deposit. In NYC I'm obligated to use Con Ed, I can get my gas and electricity through other companies but Con Ed still delivers it. This is the biggest scam I've ever seen.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Honestly it's a huge pain to try and pay my bill online. Your website is incredibly slow. It's terrible. I'm trying to save paper but your website gets on my nerves so much that I'm thinking about switching back. Please fix the website please. No it's not my internet connection. My computer works fine. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Every single time I need to get information on the website they do not recognize my ID and password combination. I then have to ask for password help probably 12 times. The website sending me a temporary ID takes so long that I have to ask for another temporary ID because I didn't get it soon enough before the website closes me out. I see your system is asking for order number to locate my account. I would give you an order number if I could get into their website.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I would not even give one star. I lived in my apartment for 6 months and paid for electricity with Con Edison. I moved out, had my mail forwarded to my new address. I had filed for bankruptcy during that time and told the apartment to pay off any attached bills. I get a bill two months later, that includes my last month and two additional months that I no longer lived in the apartment. They told me it was responsibility to call in and turn off electric. Ok, how is my bill $400. That is insane? What did these people do??? I don't believe it.

It's my job, but my past leaser isn't helping and how do I even know the new people didn't pay and they are getting money from both of us? I refuse to pay and now it's affected my credit score and they won't even notify the current leasers. Why won't they help out? This seems very fishy since I can't actually wait outside the apartment and hassle these people. I plan on getting a lawyer. Just reading this site really makes me sad that they out to get people instead of offering some kind of customer service. Hopefully, you will do the same and we can stop a big corporation like this from skimming off the top. So sad!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Here in New York, there is a very funny cliche about two service providers - the cable TV provider Time Warner and the utility provider ConEdison. Of the two, ConEdison is by far the worst of the two. It is probably the single worst service provider or business in New York and probably causes New Yorkers the most ire among threats including crime, terrorism, traffic, and mutant cockroaches. It's a for-profit company (NYSE-listed), but might as well be the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Aside from personal gas and electric needs to households, ConEd specializes in tormenting small businesses in New York. In my personal experience, ConEd has kept my family restaurant waiting for six months for service, though the restaurant was ready to open four months ago. ConEd will send an inspector out to a restaurant, and if no violations are found, they will give a thumbs-up for service and work. Therein lies their game. After the inspector goes back to ConEd, they fail to report the thumbs-up and you're left waiting for weeks for word from them about their promised service or work order. When you get nervous about waiting and start calling their offices, no one answers. I MEAN NO ONE ANSWERS. This company services eight million people and the largest and most important city in the United States, yet no one ever, ever answers the telephone there.

For the past several months, one calls them ten times a day (between their hours of 7AM and 4PM) and leaves voicemails every time. YET NO ONE ANSWERS AND RARELY CALLS BACK. After the 150th or 200th call (this isn't hyperbole), a ConEd official will return the voicemail (two weeks later), and you learn the inspector who came out to approve your work never submitted the paperwork or something is wrong. They then send another inspector out to do the exact same job and so begins the cycle again. Rinse. And. Repeat.

The best part is that ConEd's personnel don't even feign concern. They simply do not care, and always blame the customer. This is why people hate utility companies and hate monopolies. The State of New York and New York City should really look into ConEd's practices, (*ahem* *ahem* two deadly gas explosions in the past five years), because their work sucks; their customer service sucks; and their corporate culture sucks.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Is there any lawyer or law we can sue ConEd for charging us no access fee $100? They do not call when the tech comes to apartment, I had to take entire day off every time they need access. Very very unfair practice to charge $100 for no access fee.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Out of the blue, on my first bill for 2017 there was a $20 increase. When I called, I was basically told to "shut up and pay" because there is nothing that can be done and if/when they read my meter and find a mistake they will re-bill (never happened, EVER). Energy monopolies suck the blood out of working people. Do they even see all the reviews that have been written here? Wherever there are unions, there is corruption and thievery! Wake up and say something!

ConEdison expert review by Jonathan Trout

ConEdison got its start in 1823 when it was called the New York Gas Light company. Today, it provides energy to more than 10 million people across New York City and Westchester County. ConEdison focuses on building a sustainable future through renewable energy while minimizing consumption and saving you money.

• Energy sources: ConEdison uses a combination of renewable energy sources and generating stations to generate electricity. ConEdison uses solar energy, wind or water to bring electricity to your home or business.

• Rebates and incentives: ConEdison offers multiple rebates and incentives to its customers, including rebates for upgrading to energy efficient HVAC units. You can also receive $30 for purchasing a new room AC unit and $110 back when you replace your thermostat with a smart thermostat.

• Smart usage rewards: ConEdison will pay you to temporarily reduce your electric usage. For every 100 kilowatts you reduce, you can earn up to $18,000 per year. Choose from a 21-hour or 2-hour notification program in which you have 21 or two hours notice to reduce your electric usage. You must have a communicating interval meter to use this program.

• Nonprofit work: ConEdison offers grants and volunteer programs for nonprofits in New York City and Westchester County. Additionally, you can donate to help neighbors in need keep their lights and heat on.

• Convenience: As a ConEdison customer, you can pay your bill, report a problem and set up new service from the company's homepage. You can also report power outages, track repair progress, view an outage map or file a claim online.

• Best for: customers wanting an energy-conscious electricity provider.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

ConEdison Company Information

Formerly Named:
Con Ed
www.coned.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business