1.30/5

New York

365 ConEdison Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had trouble signing into my account. They kept asking a security question I never entered... so I called them to reset the sec. quest. They told me I need to register a new account but when I tried that they tell me I already have a account, FRUSTRATING.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Besides the long wait times and sometimes even deliberate service reps hanging up after a 2 hour wait...the automation system has much room for improvement. For a company with such high cost rates (to the customer anyway), their public relations team should be tossed into serious training and maybe even monitored for their unprofessional speaking tones and word phrase. The mentality that they are doing you a favor does not work in a customer service model.

Another factor is that the company feels that there is no need to provide quality service especially in areas that they have been able to dominate the market and take advantage of the fact that there are no other power or gas options. Therefore ConEdison will implement higher priced markups to the services needed. That's why ConEd is disliked and customers are disgusted with them as a power provider. Hence... ConEd sucks!

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2019

We need to wait months and months for service. They made a mistake and I'm still waiting for service. I wish they get good competition. The phone answering is terrible. If they do not have enough workers why do they don't hire more staff?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I got a bill in February stating I owed $7,000+ in gas usage. Of course I called to figure this out. They come to tell me that it has been since 2015 they did not read my gas meter. After that I get another bill for $12,000+ once the meter guy came to read the meters plus an investigator... I don’t understand how from $7000 it went up to $12,000 and then back down to 7,000+. On top of that they gave me different years since they read my meters. 1st phone call stated it was from 2014. 2nd phone call was 2012...today’s phone call is since 2015. Nothing was done. They claim I owe all this money and to call Catholic charity for help or HRA for help...two places I won’t qualify for because I work!!! Can ConEdison go so far in their mistakes?

Original review: March 2, 2019

ConEdison lives up to their name Con... They con me into paying a fee due to not wanting smart meter that can harm my health. So because I don't want to harm my health or anyone entering my property, they want me to pay a fee. How unconstitutional and criminal wrong is that? I am very upset as I didn't know about my rights and they didn't want to tell me my rights. They want to just bully people to pay in order to help their health. It is so disgusting and I hope more people know their rights. ConEdison don't care about anyone health. If they did they would never demand to put these smart meters. One day you will meet your maker and then you would have to explain why you are trying to harm your customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I moved into a private house in Fresh Meadows Queens. I occupy the top floor. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, country kitchen, walk in master bathroom. So I move in Oct 1st. Was set up to get a bill and for my service to start on Oct 1st. Never got a bill so I called ConEdison and got a bill in the mail three days later. The amount on the bill was 700.00 estimated bill. Never saw a meter reader or a note stating they were here. So I called again about the bill. They could care less. So I called the NYS Public Service Commission. Filed my complaint and then a few days later got a call from Con Ed wanting to schedule a service meter reading to check my meter. Well I never got a followup call from ConEd to confirm my appointment for Dec 21 2018.

INSTEAD I started getting Harassing phone calls from a local phone number with no caller ID. The calls would come in right after another. No one was on the phone just a hangup. If you called back the number it would be an incomplete call. So what I did is I Googled the number. And guess what, the number belongs to you know who. There is a law firm on that same Google page telling people to contact them to sue at no cost to their client Con Ed. My bill for one month in Oct the fall was $220.00. No heater no lights on during the day 580 sq foot unit.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I went to open an account for my home and I couldn't because I was told that my house cannot have any service because "the previous client who was there by the name of Rolade ** did not pay the outstanding bill therefore you will be responsible for the outstanding bill." Are we in USA or what? That is not my concerns if you did not do your vetting on your previous client. Is this pathetic or what?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Total electricity charges $51.00. Amount due is $85. Why the $34 difference?? Well it's because of the "level payment plan" they signed us up for when we chose not to participate in such a plan. They are sneaky and awful. Each time we speak to a representative, we get a different explanation! WHAT COMPANY AUTOMATICALLY SIGNS PEOPLE UP FOR THINGS WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION!!???! This one.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

ConEd called to schedule a new meter installation to make their job easier. Everything worked fine before the installation and after they left, no heat. Now the house is freezing until I get a company to fix it and I get stuck with the added expense! I bet the bill will be just as high also because this company is crooked! I so regret letting them in to touch anything! Worst ever!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

INCIDENT 1: About 18 months ago (more or less) Con Ed left a Service Alert Note attached to the Coop glass lobby door after a prior tenant had moved out. Being a loyal customer, I called Con Ed and told them I would let them into the building. However, they treated it as a Gas Leak Emergency, and the City of Yonkers sent a full Fire response including their rescue unit. I was mortified, because I never reported any gas leak. The fire department verified there was no gas leak and returned to station house. As I was leaving, two arrogant Con Ed workers arrived and I told them the FD had just left, and there never was any gas leak reported, and they lied by saying they're detecting a gas leak so they called the FD back, who called the PD, as they were on the phone with management threatening to break that door down, someone unlocked that door for access.

Incident 2: On September 2, 2018, I reported an odor of sulfur drifting into my window from the courtyard and Con Ed treated it as a gas leak inside of my apartment. Fire Department showed up, and I relayed just the same and they checked the courtyard and verified there was no gas leak, because apparently someone had been throwing sulfur stink bombs under my window that I presumed was sewer gas.

Fire Dept. left, and one Con Ed Worker shows up causing a major disturbance in the building by repeatedly pounding on lobby door. After getting in the building worker continued pounding on my door so hard that I was afraid to answer because he was pounding like a lunatic. I told him to leave and did, only to return with the Fire Dept this time with giant axes in hand. Con Ed (Worker) Excuse was "I thought you were unconscious". Worker alerted management, then FD requested then cancelled PD after I answered a second time for the FD as the super arrived. FD asked me to allow Con Ed Worker to check my stove which I allowed with no incident.

Weeks later I was served papers by City Marshal that my landlord elected to terminate my month-to-month lease and after 15-1/2 years of living in the building known as "Lincoln Park Manor" I needed to vacate on or before Oct. 31, 2018. The Property Manager and my former Landlord used the Con Ed incident against me, as if I disturbed and endangered everyone in the building when I was setup. Con Ed statement was "You refused to evacuate" when no one told me to. I have the entire incident time stamped and recorded, because little did Con Ed and the FD know that little fisheye lens in my door viewer was a CCTV security camera that recorded everything other than audio onto disk. Needless to say, I'm now homeless. I should sue everyone or post videos on social media with further details as a reminder, to think twice before reporting a gas leak because ConEd workers are not to be trusted nor was my prior management.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We have had an issue with recurrent gas leaks from the line in our front yard. This initially started in Spring of 2017. At that time, ConEdison changed the sleeve and dug up the street in front of our house. The leak continued, and the workers didn't return until November, when they replaced the curve valve. They had to return two additional times to finish the job correctly (the first time, the valve was protruding from the ground so much that our postman tripped over it).

Yesterday, we noticed a gas smell in our yard. We called ConEdison and a worker came up again and told us we have a type 3 leak from that same line, with 25% leakage. We are very upset about how ConEdison has handled this situation. We pride ourselves in being responsible homeowners -- we take care of our home, our neighborhood, and are always up to date on paying our bills. We have been patient with ConEdison throughout this experience, despite having our lawn ripped apart multiple times, and having to leave work mid-day on several occasions to meet the ConEdison workers, who would often come to our house unannounced. This has been incredibly disruptive to my job and has had a financial impact.

The most upsetting aspect of this is that we don't feel safe in our own home. I specifically asked the worker who came last night if there is any risk to us with the continued leak, and he said "very likely no" but that "he couldn't guarantee anything". When I asked when they would be able to return to repair the leak, he indicated it would likely take another month. I am starting to doubt the seriousness of the company. He told us that they are more likely to come because they get bonus at the end of the year once all the leaks are closed.

I know from my past experience that if the ground freezes, there is a greater chance that the gas can back up the line into our house. Heading into winter in this area, the ground will definitely freeze several times over the next few weeks. Are we supposed to just wait until we have gas in our house to actually have this fixed? Why has this one problem now taken 6 separate visits from ConEdison to address it, with no real fix in sight? This is an outrageous situation to me, and for the safety of my home and family, I ask that this be fixed immediately.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I was away for 3 1/2 weeks in October and before leaving I turned off all the Circuit Breakers in the Apt. (1 Bedroom) Shortly after I returned home I received a bill for 200 KWH. How is that possible? Did the invisible man come up and watch TV??? If anyone knows of a Class Action Please let me know.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I used ConEdison billing for years never had issues. This new system I tried to log in it made me register again which I did. I have 2 locations for which I pay so when I log in after logging in it asks me my account #. Shouldn't the system know my account number since I logged in. Ok I went to pay my bill. It asks me account #. I entered it then it asks me to enter a security code which I did after receiving it through email. Ok so now I am logged in officially. So I go back to make a payment and again it asks me account # so I enter it and then it says it wants me to enter a security code again so I get a new one.

I had the same problem last month. The IT team is a joke!!! I just went back to paper billing to keep my sanity. My account # ** so ConEdison IT team can actually verify how I went in circles. I am sure they can verify it from the system. I hope they correct this. In the meantime I back to the past system paper billing and paying through my Chase online billing. Good Luck ConEdison with your IT team!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The new website they have treats customers like we are corporate execs looking for dashboards. I just want to see my bill. I just want to be able to log in without having to complete eight new verification steps. No, I don’t want to change my account name. I don’t need to compare my usage to a national average, or what it was last year. Oh, and in case you haven’t noticed it helps if things are mobile friendly, as has been the case for about the past decade.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have been pretty constant with an average ConEdision bill of $150. I like my bills to be $0 when I pay them. I recently submitted a payment for a bill for the month of August. September 20th literally 3 days after I paid my bill. I receive a notice for a bill of $600 ConEdison says that my bills were estimated from April to August and there was an increase in consumption "especially during summer months". I submitted a picture of the meter reading. None of my bills from April indicated that I have been paying estimated bills. I have paid my bill in full and I am a low income payer. This so called estimated adjustment is not just. If it was really an average of the last 12 months of payment, then my bill should approximately be around $150 not $601. The delivery charges were $313 and the supply charges were $198.

Can someone help me with the math here... How can an average of 12 months equal to an increase of over 400%? I feel they have made a grave mistake and the only communication I have receive is "Maam, how much can you put down on a deposit, there is nothing we can do. Your meter reading is correct." I live in an older house in NY and the meters are the same one from the early 80s. which makes these meter more than 40 years old. I have young children in my home and this mistake is not something I am willing to be paying when I know I don't owe this.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My bills were inflated from first day I moved here and this was continuously stated. After four years of fearing to not pay the excessive charges (as my service was being threatened) I got new meters installed (3 tenants), and my bills were right finally. However ConEd wants me to pay for past bill which was not while I was even living here and for a few "actual" (inflated) bills all prior to meter correction. They owe me over 2,000 for 4 years of overpaying but threatening to shut me down rather than adjust bill claiming I need pay the incorrect charges. Huh? I am senior and only robots would act this way, so do they have humans there or what?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The customer service representative was extremely anxious to end the conversation before it even started by answering his own questions before I could explain anything to him. The entire monologue lasted about 2 minutes and left me speechless. When I asked if I could ask a question, he literally went "OMG" with an extremely aggressive tone. I got so confused that I hanged the phone. It sounds like the representative was not in the right place to begin with. I have no clue of how apparently I've managed to irritate him that much without even finish my first sentence. The all experience lasted about 3 or 4 minutes, to give you an idea of how unprofessional this person was.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

There is serious lack of communications between dispatch and their field employees. Apparently, it's S.O.P to call the Fire Department back a second time to justify their actions to force access when they are asked to leave. Then F.D. calls the P.D. so they can break the door down despite F.D. checking everything out minutes prior, they lie and make up excuses when it was originally reported the gas leak is outside drifting from a neighborhood sewer. The disturbance that ConEd caused in my building at midnight was major, the banging and pounding, alerting the management, super, and board president.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Bar restaurant opened since 1944, back in March 2018 needed to upgrade the business, had complained to ConEd many times about paying for gas while doing construction and with the meters valve shut off to prevent any accidental old pipe disturbance causing leaks. Now am at beginning of July. I am ready to open, the plumbing acting in good faith get the blue cards, then apparently according to the plumber the commercial meter need to be upgraded, and called ConEd for inspection. This is all after all new gas pipes being installed and blue cards approved. On July 06 ConEd show up and called emergency services working overtime to cut my service at the gas curb valve, can someone explain? I was scheduled to open on July 10, can someone explain why over a month later I am still without gas service, after complying with all his requests?

Original review: July 11, 2018

ConEd gambles not blocking off active manhole covers. 2 heat and steaming manhole covers shooting steam 20 feet in the air were active the next day which in turn burned most of my engines components from under the van, there were no signs, no smoke, no yellow markers, nothing. Just a legal parking. I have been stuck in the same block two months. I have spent $900 in parts. I filed and sent them a "Claims Form" as per directions. It's been over a month. ConEd has not replied. Will go to small claims court in a few days. Maybe I should call John Quinones. Currently Sore almost done.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Let me start off by saying, I live in a supportive housing 2bd room apt in the Bronx. I live with my husband & our daughter, she's only 13 & spends her time in school. My husband is disabled so he's bedridden most of the time. I got a bill from ConEd of 634.00. When I called the lady was very rude & nasty. She explained I owed 166 past balance because this new bill just kicked in so 166 + 187 (current) which brings it to 354 then, they are asking a security deposit of 258 which brings it to 638. Wtf. 258 security deposit for what? I'm a customer since I've been 18 yrs old, I'm 36 now. Oh, & I haven't even used my air yet. I can't even imagine how much my bill will be then. Smh.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We moved to Midwood New York from Carroll Gardens, we are both disabled. At the present time we are experiencing serious issues with Con Edison. Whoever build this building it seems they made serious mistakes with the electrical connections, back in December 2017, Con Ed came to check all the apartments and they found that mostly all of the apartments had wire issues and the wires of several apartments were not properly connected to the meters. We were told by the Con Ed employee that they found the issue and they will resolved it immediately and they did. During an entire day they fixed all the issues.

We barely used the electricity, we try to save as much money as we can. We were paying around 38 dollars during winter time and every month for some reason the electrical bill keeps getting expensier and the top we pay for April and May has been of almost 79 dollars per month. Yesterday June 8th 2018 we check online and we were shock to see that our bill was $512.42, we contacted them and spoke with Mr ** in Spanish who was rude and nasty, refused to listen and become very angry and later hang up on us. Due to the fact that we are from a different country than he is he was very racist with us, he also refused to transfer us with his supervisor and then after I told him I was recording him he did transfer us with a supervisor and he continue being nasty, all that is recorded and he consent to be recorded.

We then called back and at the same time I email Con Ed customer service and also sent them a Facebook message. At around 6:49pm we spoke with Ms ** who was kind and was shock when she read the bill statements, and realize that there was a mistake. I point out to her that since December 2017 until yesterday June 7th 2018 we had the same meter number, we can see the meter number in our monthly bill statement, but all of a sudden on June 8th 2018 we had a new meter number that we never had before. It seems either the Con Ed employee made a mistake or someone illegally change our meter, and that could had happened on the week of May 18 or May 25 2018 when it was a blackout in our block and we had no lights for about 8 hours or more.

We explained all this to a supervisor, Mr ** who either was confused or refused to repair their mistake, he told us first that we had to pay all that money, $512.42, even though if we did not used it, I told him that a possible crime was committed when someone either illegally change our meter or when his employee took the meter reading and made a mistake.

And after going back and forth I told him that I will have to contact my local Council Member or find a lawyer and contact a News media to find a solution, because we were told that they may cut our lights and also forced us to pay the bills plus late fees, even though we never used all that light as this is their mistake. He agree he will start an investigation and also that we will not have to pay late fees, but It is 5:14am on June 9th 2018 and I noticed that they change the payment day and instead of being June 20th 2018 yesterday June 8th 2018 they change the payment date to June 4th 2018, THAT IS 4 DAYS AGO.

I have proof of all of the invoices, also I have access online and I copy all of the invoices with their mistake on PDF files plus all the new additions that they want us to pay. About 30 minutes ago (4:40am), we noticed that they keep changing our invoice and now they are adding $497.50 dollars to the original $512.42, plus another $189.88, plus $41.11, plus $349.70, plus $47.20, plus $221.56, the total amount for all this is $1859.37, and they are saying that this is an additional adjustment they put in our bills from December to the present.

This is a total scam from Con Ed or an issue that Miss ** (Con Edison customer service employee), noticed when she look at all of our statements and stated that it seems they read the wrong meter and the amount of money and electricity belongs to the lobby lights, the tv screens from the lobby, the hallway, the elevator and not from our apartment. We checked the payments we did in 2016 and 2017 and they are half price of what Con Ed, after they install the smart meter reading saids we need to pay.

Also since December 2017 until June 2018 a Con Ed worker came in person to read the meters and register to our meter# but all of a sudden the "Smart Meter" change our meter reader number and now our electrical triplicate. Again, my Mother and I are both disabled, we live with our sister and we can not afford to pay all this money because we have not used all this electricity and like I stated before, we only have 1 meter for our apartment and Con Ed is charging us for 2 meters, instead of 1.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Trying to make my contribution to save the environment, I had our electrical system upgraded and provided for the installation of a separate meter for charging an Electric Vehicle in September 2017. The electrical company filed the necessary application with ConEd. Not having heard anything I contacted ConEd in November and was told the case had been closed, without informing the customer(?), because the documentation supplied was incomplete.

Since I could not get anywhere with ConEd, I wrote to Sustainable Westchester who helped me in opening a new case. I also filed a Service Request and paid the security fee. The problems with insufficient documentation persisted and I had to play conduit between ConEd the electrical company. Finally, in January 2018, the documentation was complete. ConEd stated they would do a final inspection and service would be activated "within 20 days or less". Nothing happened. In late March I noted that a meter had been installed. Sounded great but still no power. Tried to contact ConEd and was advised that my case was now with the Energy Department. Was unable to contact the Energy Department because I could not download the app and the link did not work.

Wrote to the general contact link of ConEd - no response. Followed up, still no response. Tried to call ConEd; they said without a Energy Dept case number they could not help me. (Kaffka would be proud of this). What can I do? After EIGHT months I cannot charge the car and utilize the energy savings. Gave ConEd a one star because there is no provision for a ZERO. Any help/suggestions?

Original review: April 20, 2018

ConEdison is the worst company, very rude with poor customer service, such a disrespect for customers. New York should consider different options, I think people of New York State deserve better gas and electric company.

Original review: April 5, 2018

ConEdison in NYC: Apparently they saw a significant increase in our power usage for the winter. Because it was so high, they waited a month to make sure it wasn't a fluke and instead of relaying any of this info - they told us they couldn't access the meters and sent us an est. that was 1/6th of the actuality. After 3 months, they determined there was no issue on their end and we indeed are using way more electricity (there was a hidden draft behind the heaters) and sent us a bill for $1600. How is that policy anywhere?

To see smoke, and instead of sharing that, send us a laughably low est. only to drop a bill in our laps 3+ months later letting us know, 'turns out, there was definitely 'fire' 3 months ago'. Had we gotten that initial high bill, we would have had time to adjust and discover the structural issue. They are legally allowed to withhold a meter reading from us simply because it spiked and tell us it's because they can't access the meters all while giving an unprecedented low estimate? Why didn't they give us that first high bill???

Original review: April 3, 2018

Con Edison is the only company I know that uses strong-arming techniques to abuse customers. For example, they come with claims of missing old payments, going back months. People should be aware that Con Edison take advantages of customers claiming late payments, where there is none. Or in my case, I made a payment plan, they, later on, denied a payment plan was in place. It is not one thing is something else always.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I moved into my grandparents' Forest Hills house around July 2017. Since then we noticed the Con Ed Utility box is leaking water from the street into my basement causing physical damage to the stairs including mold growth. The stairs need replacing because of the damage, but I am weary to replace them until Con Ed fixes the utility box to prevent damage to any new structure. In addition, I am severely allergic to mold, & it triggers my seizures. My doctors have even advised me to move because mold drastically inhibits my health. I live in a two family house, & the bathroom in my apartment is in the basement. My family has yet to get tenants in the second apartment (which would be their main income) just so I can use the bathroom there.

I have contacted Con Ed numerous times explaining the structural damage to my property & my health issues caused by their utility box, but they do not consider it an emergency. In their last email reply, they had wrote me: "In regards to your e-mail, we apologize for the issue you are having. Your water leak issue has been recorded as of 2/25/18 . When our construction department is in your area they will contact you when an appointment becomes available to correct the issue. This unfortunately can take additional time. We would encourage you to reach out to the FDNY by contacting 911, if you feel this is an immediate emergency."

"Please be aware that our wires and equipment are well insulated, protected, and made to stand up to the elements, therefore a safety concern should really never arise due to water. However if you do see sparking wires, smell burning, or experience problems with your electric service, please alert us immediately. When an appointment is scheduled we will pack the service duct from outside (underground in our manhole) and inside the property with cement and foam. If the FDNY is contacted they will perform a similar process."... My electrician said there is nothing I can do to fix the issue myself because it is Con Ed's property (therefore they are liable for it as well). I do not have the money to move again... I just want to live in my house without getting sick...

Original review: March 2, 2018

ConEdison is the only company I can say that I have never had a problem with. My account is always right and even if I am a little late I do not have to worry about them turning off my power with giving me time to make a payment. They proved one of the best services and I’m very happy with them. Now if Verizon could improve their services to work as well as ConEdison does that would be great!!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

ConEd - what can one say when you have no choice but to pay into a monopoly. Service overall is decent but their rates are consistently going up quicker than most people’s incomes - it just sucks.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I had an incidence of a very high bill and ConEd immediately sent a tech. She said that all was working accurately but she noticed that my meter was next to the building's meter and that maybe someone was using my meter. It never happened again because I think that whoever was using my meter realized I suspected their use.

ConEdison expert review by Jonathan Trout

ConEdison got its start in 1823 when it was called the New York Gas Light company. Today, it provides energy to more than 10 million people across New York City and Westchester County. ConEdison focuses on building a sustainable future through renewable energy while minimizing consumption and saving you money.

• Energy sources: ConEdison uses a combination of renewable energy sources and generating stations to generate electricity. ConEdison uses solar energy, wind or water to bring electricity to your home or business.

• Rebates and incentives: ConEdison offers multiple rebates and incentives to its customers, including rebates for upgrading to energy efficient HVAC units. You can also receive $30 for purchasing a new room AC unit and $110 back when you replace your thermostat with a smart thermostat.

• Smart usage rewards: ConEdison will pay you to temporarily reduce your electric usage. For every 100 kilowatts you reduce, you can earn up to $18,000 per year. Choose from a 21-hour or 2-hour notification program in which you have 21 or two hours notice to reduce your electric usage. You must have a communicating interval meter to use this program.

• Nonprofit work: ConEdison offers grants and volunteer programs for nonprofits in New York City and Westchester County. Additionally, you can donate to help neighbors in need keep their lights and heat on.

• Convenience: As a ConEdison customer, you can pay your bill, report a problem and set up new service from the company's homepage. You can also report power outages, track repair progress, view an outage map or file a claim online.

• Best for: customers wanting an energy-conscious electricity provider.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout