1.29/5

New York

369 ConEdison Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

An individual showed up on my doorstep claiming to be a ConEdison employee. He banged on my door as if it were a burn door. The rude demeanor did not end there. Apart from a device in his hand, which conceivably could be a meter reading/recording device, there was nothing to indicate that he was indeed from ConEdison – no picture ID, no logo, nothing… Ultimately he did not enter my house. Three days later, I received a bill that included the $25.00 “Adjustment”. Rather consistent with a “send an ignoramus to a private house and then charge the customer some more, just because we can” business model. Not the first unpleasant experience with this monopoly.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Last year I paid every month estimated and exact bills but end of the year they charge me extra $389. Whenever I asked them why they charge me extra, they said it was not exact bills. They also tell me if I use smart meter it not gonna happen, every month I shall pay exact bills but this month again they charge me extra $120. I asked them, they said those was not exact bills with smart meter. How is possible? I am using smart meter.

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I need people who are tired of ConEdison overcharging them. Send me a complaint, name and phone number,and include you want to start / join a class-action against ConEdison to **. I will give this to lawyers who are interested. ConEdison overcharges sick and low income people especially in the summer time. I have joined their medical program which is useless, complained to NY Public Commission who does not help but continue to let ConEdison overcharge its customers. From 2012-2014 I suffered long term carbon monoxide exposure which gave me asthma. My daughter had to have heart surgery. I was awarded $350 and my son nothing.

Original review: June 25, 2019

ConEdison is unlawfully using its power as a veritable monopoly to intimidate me into paying extortionary deposit demands. I have been the owner of a townhouse serviced by ConEdison since 2003. Because I have always had and continue to have excellent credit rating, in 2003, I was not required to pay a deposit on either of my personal account or the account for the common areas of the building (PLP).

Sixteen years later, after I had a verbal altercation with one of its customer service representatives, Ms. ** (phonetic) about three months ago in 2019, I received a turn off notice indicating that my two accounts were in serious arrears. Upon viewing the bills, however, there were no arrears. Instead, ConEdison had imposed an unwarranted and unexplained security deposit require on the PLP account of $345 and on my personal account of $145. I have continued to make timely payments of both accounts but do not have the financial means to pay the deposit ConEdison seeks to extract.

After reading the public service law, I learned that ConEdison may only terminate service for significant arrears in payment of my actual usage charges, not for non-payment of a deposit amount. Notwithstanding, ConEdison continues to send me monthly, and sometimes, weekly, notices threatening to terminate my electrical and gas service accounts. More alarming, ConEdison sends my tenants notices falsely claiming I am in arrears on my bills and that they should, therefore, withhold their rent and instead, pay the supposed usage arrears on my account. Again, there are no arrears on my usage payments. I simply refuse to pay the unlawful deposits. I'm looking into filing a formal complaint with the Public Service Commission.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had trouble signing into my account. They kept asking a security question I never entered... so I called them to reset the sec. quest. They told me I need to register a new account but when I tried that they tell me I already have a account, FRUSTRATING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: May 7, 2019

Besides the long wait times and sometimes even deliberate service reps hanging up after a 2 hour wait...the automation system has much room for improvement. For a company with such high cost rates (to the customer anyway), their public relations team should be tossed into serious training and maybe even monitored for their unprofessional speaking tones and word phrase. The mentality that they are doing you a favor does not work in a customer service model.

Another factor is that the company feels that there is no need to provide quality service especially in areas that they have been able to dominate the market and take advantage of the fact that there are no other power or gas options. Therefore ConEdison will implement higher priced markups to the services needed. That's why ConEd is disliked and customers are disgusted with them as a power provider. Hence... ConEd sucks!

Original review: March 24, 2019

We need to wait months and months for service. They made a mistake and I'm still waiting for service. I wish they get good competition. The phone answering is terrible. If they do not have enough workers why do they don't hire more staff?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I got a bill in February stating I owed $7,000+ in gas usage. Of course I called to figure this out. They come to tell me that it has been since 2015 they did not read my gas meter. After that I get another bill for $12,000+ once the meter guy came to read the meters plus an investigator... I don’t understand how from $7000 it went up to $12,000 and then back down to 7,000+. On top of that they gave me different years since they read my meters. 1st phone call stated it was from 2014. 2nd phone call was 2012...today’s phone call is since 2015. Nothing was done. They claim I owe all this money and to call Catholic charity for help or HRA for help...two places I won’t qualify for because I work!!! Can ConEdison go so far in their mistakes?

Original review: March 2, 2019

ConEdison lives up to their name Con... They con me into paying a fee due to not wanting smart meter that can harm my health. So because I don't want to harm my health or anyone entering my property, they want me to pay a fee. How unconstitutional and criminal wrong is that? I am very upset as I didn't know about my rights and they didn't want to tell me my rights. They want to just bully people to pay in order to help their health. It is so disgusting and I hope more people know their rights. ConEdison don't care about anyone health. If they did they would never demand to put these smart meters. One day you will meet your maker and then you would have to explain why you are trying to harm your customers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I moved into a private house in Fresh Meadows Queens. I occupy the top floor. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, country kitchen, walk in master bathroom. So I move in Oct 1st. Was set up to get a bill and for my service to start on Oct 1st. Never got a bill so I called ConEdison and got a bill in the mail three days later. The amount on the bill was 700.00 estimated bill. Never saw a meter reader or a note stating they were here. So I called again about the bill. They could care less. So I called the NYS Public Service Commission. Filed my complaint and then a few days later got a call from Con Ed wanting to schedule a service meter reading to check my meter. Well I never got a followup call from ConEd to confirm my appointment for Dec 21 2018.

INSTEAD I started getting Harassing phone calls from a local phone number with no caller ID. The calls would come in right after another. No one was on the phone just a hangup. If you called back the number it would be an incomplete call. So what I did is I Googled the number. And guess what, the number belongs to you know who. There is a law firm on that same Google page telling people to contact them to sue at no cost to their client Con Ed. My bill for one month in Oct the fall was $220.00. No heater no lights on during the day 580 sq foot unit.

ConEdison expert review by Jonathan Trout

ConEdison got its start in 1823 when it was called the New York Gas Light company. Today, it provides energy to more than 10 million people across New York City and Westchester County. ConEdison focuses on building a sustainable future through renewable energy while minimizing consumption and saving you money.

• Energy sources: ConEdison uses a combination of renewable energy sources and generating stations to generate electricity. ConEdison uses solar energy, wind or water to bring electricity to your home or business.

• Rebates and incentives: ConEdison offers multiple rebates and incentives to its customers, including rebates for upgrading to energy efficient HVAC units. You can also receive $30 for purchasing a new room AC unit and $110 back when you replace your thermostat with a smart thermostat.

• Smart usage rewards: ConEdison will pay you to temporarily reduce your electric usage. For every 100 kilowatts you reduce, you can earn up to $18,000 per year. Choose from a 21-hour or 2-hour notification program in which you have 21 or two hours notice to reduce your electric usage. You must have a communicating interval meter to use this program.

• Nonprofit work: ConEdison offers grants and volunteer programs for nonprofits in New York City and Westchester County. Additionally, you can donate to help neighbors in need keep their lights and heat on.

• Convenience: As a ConEdison customer, you can pay your bill, report a problem and set up new service from the company's homepage. You can also report power outages, track repair progress, view an outage map or file a claim online.

• Best for: customers wanting an energy-conscious electricity provider.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout