Illinois

3.2/5 (326 ratings)

About Nicor Gas

Nicor Gas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nicor Gas?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

My experience with Nicor Gas it was awful since I started using their gas in 2019. Their taxes are the higher in the business, their gas is the expensive, and their customer service is the worst in the United States! To speak with their customer support is almost impossible! They don't send any emails to their clients with any useful information as well! I don't recommend their service to no one else.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I Just recently purchased a house in Fox River Grove. I connected the service in September. The repairs in the house are NOT complete, so nobody lives there, nobody cooks, nobody dries clothes and the temperature inside is set to 63 degrees. My bill for November was $140 (my parents who live 4 blocks away and have house twice my size had bill about half of that). My bill for December was $190. My parents bill for December was $102. Their house is not only twice the size of mine, but they also have 10 foot ceilings. We are both with Nicor.

My call to Nicor was futile. They told me about price of unit, and yet, they could not explain why the use of the gas jumped by a factor of 10 in one month. No matter how much I tell them that NOBODY lives there, NOBODY cooks, and the t-re is set to 64F, they don't listen. They refuse to send the tech to see if I have external leaks or to see if anyone else connected to my pipeline (seen that happen when lived in Chicago), I was told "if you do not like it, you can leave our service after you pay us". STAY AWAY. THEY ARE CROOKS AND THIEVES who DO NOT CARE about you and won't lift a finger to help you figure out any problems. "You don't have a smell of gas in the house - then there is no leak, our system shows that". That's the only response I got from them. STAY AWAY.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Paid the fee in full like it said to and got sent a link to schedule an appointment to turn it back on but it didn't work and Said I had to call customer service. Seems their business hours aren't at 9:30 am on a Friday. Call multiple times and won't let me schedule anything but says I paid and that I owe nothing anymore. ** business that doesn't know how to answer the phone.

Original review: June 12, 2022

My entire winter bills were "Estimated", gas price were at 0.55 to 0.68 during the winter season. When they increase the gas price in May at 1.11, the bill suddenly became "Actual" instead of "Estimated". They claimed more than 200 reading difference accumulated from the winter season, but they charged this 200 reading difference at 1.11. I called customer service, as a result, they sent me an even ridiculous bill! Can somebody tell me what to do with a deceitful company like this? I wish I can grade this company zero star.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Our bill got past due because of Covid and we paid half of it. Still to be turned off on Easter weekend. Said we can’t get it back on until Tuesday. Four days of freezing with four kids in the house. This is unacceptable. And will be changing service as soon as possible.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Gas service shut off on Oct 19th, paid past due bill on Oct 20 but they can't come turn it back on for 4 days till Mon Oct 25. If they shut me off in a day they should come today Thurs the 21st to turn it back on. This is garbage that it takes 4 days and I need an appt to get service back on. Try giving someone some overtime and come turn my gas back on the same dang day. My bill is paid! **!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Nicor replaced our gas meter in December of 2017. Their crew asked if they could place the new meter at a new location on our home and stated they would remove all the hardware at the site of the old meter. I said OK. I assume this new location meant less work for them. After removing the old meter they left a steel pipe sticking straight up out of my concrete patio that was connected to nothing. They said they would come back later and remove that section of piping and fill in the hole in the patio. They still haven't removed that pipe as of October 16th, 2020. Whether it be a phone call or the occasional worker that comes to our house, I get a different story every time and no one ever does anything.

Recently one service provider came and said he didn't have the right tools but I could go ahead and do it myself. I said I wasn't comfortable doing it myself and wanted Nicor to complete the job they agreed to do. Approximately a week later someone else came out, this person said there could be contaminated water in this pipe and they did not have the right tools. If that was the case, why did the last serviceman tell me to remove it myself? Also why do none of the technicians have the tools needed to do this job? I'm not sure why Nicor has no interest in removing this safety hazard which someone could trip on and seriously injure themselves on if they were to fall on in.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

My gas was shut off due to a gas “emergency.” I was never notified. Three days later, I realized I had no gas service. My meter was locked. My account was up to date. Called customer service. They were unable to give any specifics. No one knows who called in the gas emergency or why, and if no one is home, they do not do any further followup. I called for repairs to my hot water heater thinking it was not working despite it being only 11 months old never thinking my gas may have been shut off! I was pissed! There is accountability with this monopoly! My state rep has been notified!

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have for years asked them to close the online accounts created when I previously had gas service. I get reminders about credit card information expiring for my account for a service I discontinued years ago. They confirm the service is off routinely but will not remove the account. In 2020 I have just received another notice for credit card information expiring on an account from 2012.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Today is the 110 day after Nicor sent out an e mail stating that they would be installing my gas service in three to ten days. When you call there and ask for scheduling you get the same answer every time, "Somebody will call you tomorrow." After getting a person's name that could solve this problem I left him a voicemail, that was three days ago and still no response. This is new construction so we have been waiting to run the water service to the house due to no heat in the house. In my thirty years in business I have never had such an issue with any of my vendors or customers. I talked to a Nicor worker one day at lunch and he said it will never change there because they have no competition and they can do what they want!

Nicor Gas Company Information