1.11/5

Need a utility company?

Illinois

Need a utility company?

96 Nicor Gas Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Nicor tells me they need to do a safety check on the gas equipment in my rented apartment in my building. They tell me this via a disconnection notice. Instead of calling me, I have to call them. Okay. fine - I call in to schedule an appointment. Don't try to use their phone system - it's broken. If you try to enter your zip code to authenticate for a service appointment, you get booted back to the main menu. Just mash the "0" button - ignoring prompts - until you get put on hold for 30 minutes. IF they pick up, you can schedule the appointment that THEY requested in the first place. If you fail to schedule, they will disconnect you. Once the appointment is scheduled, they blow off the appointment completely. My property manager had to leave - he couldn't spend all day waiting for the guy to show. It was already 30 minutes outside the already generous 4 hour window by the time my manager gave up.

I schedule again. Same thing, except this time I have the keys to the gas meters so I can be the one to miss an entire day of work waiting for this guy to show up. I just called customer service to find out they changed my 4 hour appointment window to an all-day appointment window without telling me. Go figure. I sure hope someone eventually shows up today. Please understand - there are no other options. We are STUCK with Nicor. They know this, and they abuse us with it. I hate that my favorite city is stuck in such a cesspool of corruption and abuse. I hate that we all pay the price.

Go check out the BBB page for this company. They somehow paid for an A+ rating even though every review is one star. Corrupt ** company has me and my ability to go to work by the balls, all so they can hire fewer service techs. I'm sure the service techs would agree with me. People in Chicago get their gas shut off by Nicor during the winter every year, which is illegal. Makes me wonder who profits from all of this.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I just got off the phone with a Nicor representative. Our conversation concerned my billing. My charge for this month is $23.04. I explained the only gas appliance left in my home is a small gas fireplace with the pilot light left on. As we went through my bill, we discovered the charge for actual natural gas used last month was $2.88. She explained the additional $20.16 are permanent monthly charges I have to pay regardless if I consume any gas or not. $16.38 a month charged for the meter, and the rest are taxes. I told the representative I was not pleased with this practice, and wanted to shut the gas service down for the summer. She said they could however, It would cost my more than $75 to turn it back on again for Winter use. This is a total rip off! Every appliance in my home is electric with the exception of that fireplace pilot light being on. How can Nicor get away with gouging customers in this way? Is there anyone I can go to to air my grievance?

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I want my money back. I enrolled in autopay when I setup my account. For the first billing cycle it didn't debit my account. After I noticed I called and was told I would have to pay online, but there was a fee, not happy. I reluctantly (because of the $2.95 service fee) paid my bill online. Then the next autopay came out for the balance that was already paid and the new balance. Basically stealing $249.25 out of my checking account. I called and was told there was nothing that could be done and their policy is the funds have to stay within their account for 10 business days before being refunded. I am a very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

They have been zero help. They accidentally shut off our gas, nothing left at our door, nothing left in the mailbox, middle of December. Thanks Nicor Gas. Our family can just go somewhere else, no bigs. Then they said someone would be out within 4 hours to figure this out, 3 hours later they said “oh looks like we are not sending anyone. Do not tell me your garbage story. Call back at 7am.” I have never left a bad review in my life. Congrats NICOR GAS. YOU’RE THE FIRST.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I’m a plumber called by realtor that Nicor found a small gas leak, house is vacant, when I arrived at house the meter is locked. We repaired the marked gas leak at water heater pipe and called Nicor, they said someone has to be at the house before they unlock it and it could be up until 11:59pm. They should just plastic tie the meter with a warning tag not lock it. So now the realtor or I will have to wait here all day for them to unlock the meter, that’s so inconvenient!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nicor Gas?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Called Nicor 6 months ago about getting gas meter installed, we were all electric, when our system finally went out 3 months ago, we had no choice but to replace it with gas furnace and air. Still waiting. We're in a established small lot community. When I called last week I was told 2 more people had to get here. One supervisor and after that another crew would connect, the problem is the month or more in between people. So I am hoping for a warm fall!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Our services were disconnected for obvious reasons. Spoke with a customer representative and I agreed if there is a past due balance unpaid, of course services should be disconnected. The problem is, we were to believe to have been on auto payment program (as ALL OUR OTHER BILLS ARE SET THAT WAY) as well as paperless. Nicor Gas did NOT contact us by phone prior to disconnection (which is stated in their terms of procedure) and they also did not bring this to our attention for TWO YEARS. Their rep said we were lucky to have not been disconnected sooner. How is that lucky? We cannot afford to pay $1,800.00. Had they followed their own company policies and procedures, they would have been paid and my family would have gas.

I believe this to be fraudulent acts for the company to receive more money from consumers, seeing as more than half the bill is in late payments. The customer rep I spoke with named Julie, claims they sent statements and several disconnection notices (which were not received). She also agreed when I asked, that Nicor Gas Company can legally wait two years of nonpayment for services to be disconnected, when the bill reaches an unreasonable amount for a customer to pay. She also told me Nicor Gas will not be willing to work out payment arrangements to pay for this bill, that could have been avoided had they followed their own company procedures. We will be contacting a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My husband and I recently moved in our new home December 9th, 2017 and when we called Nicor Gas we found out that they never disconnected it from an apartment back in 2007 or 2008 till 6 months after we moved out of there and they never billed us. Now we have an $1000 bill hanging over our heads and they say we're responsible for it. I could see being responsible if they would have shut the gas off when we told them to but they decided that they didn't want to. So now I have to make a GoFundMe post and raffle off some of my crafts just to get it paid. They keep arguing with us that we're responsible for it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I moved into my new home in February of this year. I opened up an account with Nicor, which has been my 4th new account/address in 6 years. In August I suddenly receive a bill with my normal monthly amount plus a $455.90 amount they claim is from an old account from an address I shared with my ex-husband in 2008. The account was in his name, but they have been unsuccessful in getting payment from him, so they just now slapped the balance onto my account!! Again, I've opened 4 subsequent accounts since moving from that address with no issues or mention of this previous balance. This balance has never shown on my credit report or anything. So now because I still have his last name and they were unsuccessful in receiving payment from previously trying to tack the account balance to his mother's account, they have tacked it onto mine. His mother recently moved in with her boyfriend so no longer has an active account in her name.

This is the only reason I can think of why they suddenly added it to my account. If it was truly my balance, it would have shown with every account I opened since they use your social security number to open new service. I am on social security disability with a fixed income and 3 children. I have tried to speak with representatives who have all been extremely rude and not helpful at all! I am so fed up with this! I really hope the BBB complaints can obtain results from them to fix their crooked operating procedures!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Worst gas company ever. They do not consider their customers a priority!!! Spoke with a manager named Kelly. She can’t even tell me basic information about the company and how it works so I guess they let anyone supervise there! HORRIBLE COMPANY. I wish we had more companies to choose from in my area but unfortunately we are stuck with this crappy company.

Nicor Gas Company Information