Call toll free
3.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

700 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

A few months ago I had 2 door sales representatives from Spark Energy come to my door. They informed me that Spark Energy was a third party energy company that could offer competitive therm rates cheaper than PG&E. They mentioned there was only a small $4.99 service fee and could cancel anytime. I went ahead and signed on, and didn't see a problem until the 3rd month. I have solar panels, so when my bill came out to $306 it was an obvious invoice. My PG&E showed 2 gas fees: one from PG&E and the other from Spark. I called PG&E and asked for an explanation of fees. They said, they would always be on there because they deliver the gas and explained the credits removed since now Spark was charging their own therm fees. The PG&E credits removed totaled $53.18. PG&E said they only charge, .45 cents per therm.

Now, Sparks separate fee was $127.14. I call Spark and ask them what they were charging me for and they said .82 cents!!! PER THERM!!! Highway robbery!!! Rep apologized about the door sales reps and said they should have explained the introductory rate better. I cancelled Sparks that minute. People, please don't make this mistake! I overpaid $94.67 extra!! It's not worth switching over to companies who promise you the best rates and apologize when you call and say it was supposed to be an intro rate! SPARK ENERGY LIES TO CONSUMERS! BEWARE.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize if there was any confusion or misinformation provided when the account was enrolled. We'd like to review your account to see if we can assist; please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com and include your account information and concerns. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I do not like the fact that they don't have 24hr customer service. After 7 pm you have to leave a voice message and hope someone calls back. They also don't have a good payment plan system, if you're late on your bill they put a switch hold on your account if you set up a payment plan.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for leaving your feedback. Although we don't have 24 hour customer service, you can always correspond with us through email if you are not able to call us during our business hours. There are many competitors that actually close before 7pm. In regards to the switch hold, it is only kept on the account until the balance is up-to-date; this ensures that the balance is satisfied before a customer switches which would otherwise leave us with bad debt.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I called them to ask about my bill cycle and the rules and how it works because this is my first year with a utility bill in my name so it took me a while to get the hang of it about knowing the rules and what is convenient in my case and talking with a representative to explain step by step on what I need to know to make sure I'm not paying too much for gas and the results are pretty good. I'm much calmer and satisfied about my gas bill especially it being my first year.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that our customer service representative was able to go over everything with you. Please let us know if you have any further questions - we are always here to help!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Beware, at first, they always seems to be very reliable with their initial plan. My first plan with them is 0.075/kWh (because of -$60 when using over 1000kWh), so my house's average fee each month is around $120 (some months are below $100). BUT, the December bill's usage was suddenly doubled (to $229.39) without anything changed in my home (we're students and spend a lot of time studying on the library for the final, so it's supposed to be lower).

Not only that, the January bill this month is $602.14!!! I thought it must be a mistake in meter or system. So I called them, and they said the rate was doubled because I didn't renew the plan which they said they already sent me notifications of. I checked the email again, and there is no renewal letters, no warning, literally nothing.

Also, when I ask about my sudden high usage, I mention it must be something wrong the meter (because I don't use that much, ~2600kWh for 2 people, I even travel to another state the whole holiday), but the "customer service" keep repeating "No no, it's just because we use too much". Wow. [I read the paper and "Your right as a customer" is completely misleading now, we have no right to doubt the Meter as they said.]

When they doubled the rate, they (the guy name Edward) sent the email said they can adjust the last rate IF I agree to sign a renewal plan (so the customers cannot escape). So I called the number again, this time they (the guy name Daniel) said they can renew but cannot adjust the rate because "it's not their fault" lol. I can see how inconsistent, unprofessional, and greedy they are. Trying to exploit everything. Very disappointed about how they handle this situation.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We understand your frustrations regarding your recent invoices. We'd like the chance to review your account with you to see how we can assist you. Can you please email us?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Pushy Salesman - Went to answer buzzer in 6-flat thinking it was food delivery. Guy came in and when I knew who he was I asked him to leave the building. He went past me to knock on neighbor's doors. So my experience is your company's representatives are doing a really bad job. I'll remember your company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Mr. Rowley, we apologize for your experience. We'd like to forward your interaction to our Sales Director but we need a little more information. Can you please email us? Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Spark Energy Green has the better price compared to other providers and since I've been with them, I've had no issues with their service. I like that they don't bug me. They don't call about things unless I need to make payment. And when it's time to renew a contract, they'd send me an email and then, I'd choose an option and I'm done. It's that easy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to leave us positive feedback about your experience with Spark Energy. We are happy to hear that you enjoy our service and that you feel our renewal process is easy.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have Spark Energy at my son's college apartment. He has been at two different locations in Houston. One year was at Castle Court. Spark Energy was a wonderful service and the rate per kilowatt was really low. I was happy enough with them that I continued their service. But when my son transferred to his apartment now in Downtown Houston, the rate jump bookoodles a kilowatt. The bill almost doubled. I was told that the initial rate I got was no longer available. After the first year when I was told it was going from maybe 8 cents a kilowatt to 13, I checked around with other providers in the Houston area, but I couldn't get it any cheaper. Other than that, my son hasn't had any problems with electricity. I pay the bills and I do it online. I keep the website pulled up and it's really user-friendly.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Ms. Perez. There was a change in market conditions which caused electric rates to increase for all suppliers, but we strive to remain competitive. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for more information about current rates.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I checked rates online and learned about Spark Energy. They had a low rate and didn’t have an early termination. I clicked, filled in some information and signed up with them. Compared to our previous provider, Spark Energy was competitive.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your positive review. We strive to provide competitive fixed rates along with excellent customer service and it delights us when we achieve that. We hope that you consider us when you are ready for a new supplier.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My father passed away on October 17, 2018. When I reviewed his Nicor Gas bill I saw that he had service with Spark Energy at $1.39 per therm. I currently pay $0.36 with Nicor. I called Spark to explain that my father passed and to tell them that I would like a lower rate for the past bills, this is a very high rate! I was told that this is the rate and no adjustments can be made. I was told that a letter was sent out, I was given tracking number **, which per the USPS is not a valid tracking number.

I spoke to Cynthia, employer ID **, a district manager who told me she is the highest manager I can speak to. She said the meter reading is accurate (please note it is an estimate, the meter is read every 2 months, with a scheduled reading on January 14, 2019 but Cynthia is insisting that it is not an estimate). I am being told not only can the rate not be adjusted so that it is a more acceptable rate for these last few bills, including the current bill, but I am also being told my cancellation is effective on January 14, 2019, at the next meter reading. How is this possible? This is robbery! How can anyone be willing to pay such a high rate.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Oana, we'd like to confirm that we have received your email and our Office of the President is currently researching your father's account. They will be in contact with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I've been looking at my bill and I wanna cry. Somebody from Spark Energy came to my door and I asked if it will help me where I don't have to pay so much on how much usage I use for electricity. The reps were very helpful talking to me about my bill, the rates, and how much other suppliers cost, as well as the kilohertz and how much electricity I use. I said that I didn't wanna be paying a high electric bill. For this month, my electric bill is around $62.39, but last month, it was around $40, and it is not that bad.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your positive feedback and we are happy that you decided to give us the chance to be your energy supplier. We encourage you to contact us so we can ensure you continue the savings with another great fixed rate contract. Hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

When I started off with Spark Energy, it was rocky. I initially saw them at the powertochoose.org website and I decided to go with them because of the cost per kW that I was expecting to pay. Their customer service reps were courteous but they had a hidden cost in the online tool, so it led to a higher rate than what was expected and agreed to. The way the website displayed it, it was a fixed rate but that was not the case. Then they switched me to the green product without explaining what it was. I was on a different one before that was limited to 2000. But I’m in a 12-month contract so I can’t really do much about it at the moment without incurring any additional fees.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Robert, we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the plan that you initially selected. We would like to assure you that we do explain the details of our plans displayed on the Power to Choose website by providing the further details of the plan in the Electricity Facts Label or "EFL". We'd like to discuss this further so we can ensure that you make an educated choice when using the Power To Choose website; please email us.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

They told my husband and I that we would get to use $100 a month for whatever we wanted. Just got our first $100. We can't use a single cent without paying money. The "rewards program" is just advertisement for other companies that probably pay Spark to give discounts and put their products up for sale. After reading more reviews on here, I'm worried this is not the only thing they lied about.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback Sandra. We apologize if the Rewards program was not correctly explained or if there was any confusion regarding how the program works. We'd like to clear up any questions you have; would you please email us with your account details and questions? Thank you again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Can't imagine how these people sleep at night. As I read other reviews and the response of Spark Energy I am even more appalled with their lack of ethics. I noticed a very high bill that came in and called to find out why. As it turns out, after the "guarantee period" they started ratcheting up my energy cost per unit. When I pointed this out to them they said they would review the account and get back to me with a potential refund as they were charging me TWICE as much as the going rates that you can search online and this included their own guaranteed rates.

After their review they claimed that they sent me a letter and that because they sent this letter they weren't going to refund me for their obscene over-charges. Don't believe them when they tell someone in these posts that they will review their account. After their "review" they claimed they sent me a letter and therefore were not going to reimburse me anything. I never received a letter from them and regardless of whether they have sent one to other customers it should not give them a license to start charging you much more than market rates. My reward for being a loyal customer was doubling my rates. They are unethical, and dishonest in their business practice as well as their baloney response.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback William. We can understand how frustrated you are and we apologize that your experience has not been great. Our Office of the President would like to review your account which would be a separate review from the one you received from our call center. Please email them to us.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I was turned over to Spark Energy by my previous provider. I've never had a problem with Spark Energy's service.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a few words about your experience with Spark. We understand that you were transitioned from your previous provider; however, we still appreciate that you remained a customer. We hope that you decide to renew when your contract expires next month.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Handling transition: I took over power from a previous tenant also using Spark. Previous tenant had arranged to turn off power on October 31. The customer service representative suggested I take over the electricity on October 30 to avoid a gap. I received confirmation of this. Then Spark/Reliant turned off power on October 31 as though I had never taken it over. Evidently someone at Spark failed to cancel the turnoff order. I had to go a day without power and water (power runs the well) until they could get it straightened out. Billing - twice I have received the bill so late that even though I paid by bank bill-pay right after getting it, it did not get to Spark in time for them to process it and credit my account. Because your bills come so late, I will no longer be able to use convenient bank billpay but will have to telephone instead. I'm sure you don't care about my inconvenience, but the late billing reflects poor organization and processes.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We sincerely apologize for the initial situation that caused the interruption in service. We'd like to review your account to see if we can assist you with making your experience more positive. Can you please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I've been with this company for about 5 months now and so far I've been okay with the monthly bills, better than other companies and I am the type that is always messing with the thermostat. So far so good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you are satisfied with your bills and hope that you decide to renew to another fixed contract when your current contract ends.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I've been satisfied with Spark Energy. Everything has been good. They let me get service with no deposit while the other companies I called were asking for a big one.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for choosing to be apart of the Spark Energy family. It's great to hear that you were able to start services with Spark Energy with no deposit. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or email if you have any concerns or questions about your account.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I liked Spark Energy's fixed rate. They were also a little cheaper than ComEd, my previous provider. The people from Spark have been good, very knowledgeable, and give different options and walk me through it. And when I call, there’s no long hold time, and everyone I’ve spoken to have been very professional. If I have questions even if I’m asking the same thing but worded it differently, they’re patient and still walked me through everything.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have had such a positive experience with Spark Energy and hope to keep your future interactions the same. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be your energy supplier and for providing your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been using Spark Energy for seven years and I stuck with them since they had better rates and they were better for me in my home than the other energy company that I used. It was just a matter of a phone call to start my service with Spark or renew with them. They got right on it and it took them no time at all. I interacted with the reps about my bill and when I had to renew my contracts and they were professional. On the whole, my experience with Spark has been fine. The people there have been polite and very helpful.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Wow! We truly appreciate your loyalty and allowing us to supply your energy for seven years.Thank you for sharing your experience on Consumer Affairs and we look forward to assisting you with your next renewal.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was with Verde and it changed over to Spark. I've received very good customer service from them. When I contacted them about my rates, they offered me a competitive rate. I've used another provider in the past and after I've negotiated for a better pricing, it's now better with Spark. It has also allowed me to work within my budget.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us positive feedback. We truly value as our customer and hope you have a great holiday season.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I’ve had Spark Energy for nine years since I got my first house. They were the lowest rate at the time and after I went with them, I kept on renewing because I’m not good with jumping back and forth. I’ve never had a problem with them and I don’t feel like my light bill is too high. I’ve had the paperless billing and it’s always taken out. Plus, my lights are always on so I can’t complain. I had to call the staff eight years ago since I didn’t realize you had to call and renew contract all the time but Spark has been great so they should keep it up and I have recommended them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for being a loyal customer for 9 years. We love to hear when our customers have a smooth, effortless experience with Spark Energy. Please let us know if you have any suggestions, concerns or questions.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Verde Energy sold my servicing to Spark Energy. I have been with Spark Energy since April and their team has been friendly.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you had a smooth experience after your transition from Verde Energy. Thank you for your feedback and don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have a concern.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I liked the convenience of using Spark Energy, so I stuck with them for three years. I had a good experience with them already, so I might as well use them in my new house. The reps have been great. The last one who called me saved me a ton of money because he got me the best deal and it was really awesome.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly value your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you have been a happy customer for over 3 years. We hope to continue with servicing your energy needs at your new home. Congratulations!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We have been with Spark Energy for about five years now. My husband was satisfied with it, so we kept it.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for leaving us a positive review. We hope to hear from you next year when it's time to renew your contract for more savings! Happy holidays!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

An elderly neighbor showed me his bill after he noticed Spark Energy as a supplier. He hadn't noticed it before but couldn't understand why his bills were always so high. Evidently he had changed suppliers several years ago. He vaguely remembers someone had called him saying they were a supplier for National Grid and requested his account # to give him a discount. Which he gave out. He thought National Grid did it.

We contacted Spark Energy and they said he had a contract with them but he was sure he never signed a contract nor would Spark send him a copy of it. He asked them to stop billing. That didn't happen until we called National Grid. Spark Energy was charging him .15 kwh vs National Grid's .04 per kwh. He switched back to National Grid & at his request, they put a block on his account so that no other outside suppliers could make changes to his account in the future. My advice is IF YOU HAVE ELDERLY FRIENDS/RELATIVES LOOK AT THEIR ELECTRIC BILL! If Spark Energy is on it GET RID OF THEM. They charge VERY HIGH RATES.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your neighbor's experience. Please note that in most cases, a signed contract is not required for enrollment and verbal authorization can be provided instead. The details of the contract are sent in a welcome letter afterwards which also explains what will occur once the contract term expires. If your neighbor would like to discuss his Spark Energy account further, please have him email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Somebody recommended the green product with Spark and during the time that I took it, I had to pay only 4 cents. It is much better than my previous provider and everybody at Spark answered me correctly. I have no complaints about it. However, when I moved from one apartment to another, they said I didn’t call to let them know that I was not gonna be in the other apartment. I remember I called and it was like nobody understood. I had to pay the money. After that, everything was okay and I would recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although there was a rough patch, we are happy that your bills concerns were addressed and corrected. We appreciate that you have remained our customer and we hope to renew your contract next year.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity has the best prices. And since I like predictability, I picked the fixed rate. I signed up online and I have to re-enroll once every two years.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing a bit of your experience with Spark Energy. We know that choosing a supplier can sometimes be difficult but we are delighted that you have given Spark Energy the opportunity to service your energy needs.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I was looking for a new company and I saw Spark Energy. They had good ratings and I tried them out. I’ve been with them for at least five years now and they're pretty good. I like them. But for the last two to three months, the bill has been getting higher and I don’t know why. At first it was okay, but after my contract finished, it needed to be renewed and they didn’t let me know until a little while ago about the increase. I looked at my new bill coming in and it’s $188. But my bill normally would be no more than $130. Other than that, if I called, they always came through and answered my questions when I needed them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Kionia. Typically a notice is sent 30-45 days before the contract expires. We are sorry to hear that you didn't get a chance to renew your contract before it expired but we are happy that you did choose to renew with Spark Energy.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We have a three-bedroom mobile home and when we used a different provider in the past, our bill went to $444 for a month at one time. So, we switched to Spark Energy. We initially discovered them from the Greensheet, a little local paper that you get for free that lists all the stuff, and we liked the amount of deposit and the low cost per unit they offered. We're on a fixed income so we've selected a fixed-rate energy product with Spark and since we switched, our bill has been $219 a month. I love them to death. They’re a great company and they have personable people.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate hearing how our customers feel so that we can understand every customer’s needs. We can also certainly understand how important savings and low costs are and we are happy that you have found that in Spark Energy. Thank you for your review.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Our provider was PECO before Spark Energy. We changed and saved a penny or so per KW. Our electric bill is high, but we also have a home built in 1880. Yesterday we decided to have Peco do an energy audit. They showed us that our current rate with Spark is 19 cents/kw—almost 3 TIMES greater than PECO’s 7.2 cents. Due to “electronic billing” and never expecting to be screwed by Spark Energy I missed it. I’m sure they had the contractual right to triple my rate; however they are morally bereft. Relying on billing trickery is a bad business practice.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review Mr. Thornton. We'd like to assure you that we do send notices to our customers to advise them when it's time to renew and also the variable rate they can expect if the contract is not renewed. If you'd like to discuss further, please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs