2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Call Now Toll Free (877) 346-0863 Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I've always chosen to go with the big, main company here, and then I looked into Spark and it was one of the lowest rates I was able to find. I've been doing a lot of energy efficiency for my home and one thing I like to do was look at my history to see what it was last year compared to this year and match up if it went up or if it went down. I wanted to see if it was really paying itself off. And ever since I switched to Spark, my bill has been a lot less. My last bill was only $74 and my house is four bedrooms, 2,200 square foot house, and to me that’s very reasonable. I recommended Spark to a lot of my family once I started seeing how low my bill has gone, it's just that they don’t wanna pay the high deposit. Nevertheless, I've been super happy with Spark.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Wow, it sounds like you have done a great job at keeping your home energy efficient with a $74 bill for a huge home!! It's great to hear that you have also recommended our service to others. We appreciate your recommendations and your business. Thank you!!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Spark was awesome and I do want them instead of the provider that I have right now. Spark was reliable and they were really reasonable with the prices, but they’re not in the zip code. In the past, I was with them for less than a year. They got me the rates that I got. They were really nice and they tried to get me the best deal that I was looking for. I already told someone about them when I left. I told them, “Y’all need to switch to Spark ‘cause Spark is a whole better. They’ll work with you and they’re cheaper. So, you could afford your bill."

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. It's unfortunate that you aren't able to have our services any longer. We hope that if you change locations in the future, that you think of us when it's time to enroll for electric services.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My neighbor that lives next door told me how low his electric bill was, and mine had been running kinda high. I asked him what company is he with. He told me he's with Spark. I asked if he could give me their phone number and he did. Different providers all start off pretty good, but it seems like as time goes on, the price goes up a little bit, but I stay pretty much the same. There are two of us living in the house. It’s a small house with three bedrooms. And I’ve tried to keep the electric down as much as I can. I only wash a couple of times a week and try to turn the lights off. And just little things so that the bill won’t be too high.

The only problem I have is I’m very warm-natured, I get hot very easily. And so, the summertime, I have my air going. I purchased several stand-up fans. And I have a fan right by the chair that I sit in, and if I feel that I’m getting hot, I turn the fan on me. And I had fans that blow the air around, so that helps a lot, and I know it’s helped me with the electric bill, too. So far, I’m satisfied with Spark. There hadn’t been a problem. Occasionally, the electric will go off, but it’s usually due to something happening in the area, maybe a storm.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that your neighbor recommended our services to you. If you'd like to recommend any of your friends or family, be sure to provide your Refer-a-Friend ID to receive credits off of your monthly bill. If you need more information on this program, please reach out to us at 1-877-547-7275.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I was previously with Direct Energy and I had a good rate with them. Everything was fine but from a bill of $57 for one month, it went to almost $300 on the next month. It was huge, so I called them and I asked what was going on and if there was a mistake. They said that I was on a promotional rate that had expired and no one told me. The rep said that I should have reviewed something and I did. So, I thought of finding someone else. My friend Natalie had just switched to Spark and she was telling me how much she loves them and she gave me the information. Price stability is extremely important, which was the reason why I chose Spark. I can pinpoint what my bill is gonna be every month without me having to look at it. It has been wonderful because it has been affordable.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We definitely agree with the importance of price stability! Thank you for taking your friend's recommendation. If you recommend any friends or family, make sure to provide them your personal referral code. Also, be on the lookout for a contract expiration notice in the next few weeks.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

My previous father-in-law used Spark Energy and recommended them. I've been with them for at least 10 years. They're kinda no-nonsense. I don’t have to deal with any paperwork and the payment comes automatically out of my account, which is handy. Their rates seem to be pretty low in comparison with the local provider, which is Reliant. My rate changes based on usage, at my rate per kilowatt hour as well. I've had to call their customer service once and it was super fast. They had my issue resolved in the same phone call within a matter of about five minutes. So, by the time we got through, I got an email that said the times were new, and every package they have available is on the website. So, it’s very self-explanatory and easy to use.

My parents have been very set in their ways, but I’m trying to sell them on the idea that Spark Energy is a cheaper option and it’s a lot easier to use. My father’s biggest pet peeve is dealing with people on the phone. With Spark, 90% of it is how you’re handling it on your own. He doesn’t have to really deal with anybody and get angry at poor phones and at phone takers unless there was a major issue like an outage. But there was an outage once and I had an email within an hour explaining about the situation. I didn’t have to really deal with it.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly appreciate your review and your business. It's great to hear that you are satisfied with our service but we'd like to confirm that your rate does not change based on your usage. Your rate will remain fixed for the duration of the contract; however, your average price which includes your delivery charges will vary.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Spark Energy is the worst supplier, stay with ComED for your electricity. They scam you, triple charge you, and refuse to cancel you! I have been trying to cancel for 7 months and they are still charging me. Stay away!!!! Customer service just continuously lies to you, and tells you they cancelled you, they give you a confirmation and it’s all lies. They are still on my bill 7 months later charging me triple what I am suppose to pay. They lure you in with what sounds like a great rate, until your bill comes in and it’s triple what comED rates are. Stay away and save your hard earned money. I would like a reimbursement from March when I tried cancelling until now September. I have been charged almost 300 dollars every month for my electricity with a rate at .16 cents when it’s suppose to be .6 cents. Give me my money back and cancel my service!!!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are truly sorry for your experience and would like the chance to review your account to see how we can assist. Please email officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com with your concerns and account information. Thank you.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I was fraudulently signed up a few years ago to Spark Energy! They claim one of their salesman came to my address and had me sign up... Fact is I was NOT home for the first half of the day they claim this happened and later in the day I had company over - NO ONE CAME TO MY DOOR from Spark and they certainly didn't show up later that evening either!

I finally got to the point to look into this earlier this year and I eventually was able to supposedly cancel this so called account (sent me an email stating that is was and that my service would go back to P G & E)! This was followed a few weeks later by a different supplier which I had spoken with but no one connected with Spark Energy! Proof that it was or should have been cancelled! One other thing these crooks at Spark claimed they only received (1) payment from me through P G & E while my bank records and statements show otherwise - a payment fully and on time each month since they, not myself, signed me up! Not one missed payment at all...

Fast forward to 06/20/2020 and in the mail these liars and crooks send a notice that if I don't pay they will send the account which should have been closed to a collection agency - for 727.38 of payments NOT missed! These thieves should have taken it up with P G & E if they (P G & E) failed to send any of the other payments! Oh and the salesman for the other supplier had even said that Spark had their license revoked. Don't believe me, check all the complaints about them here and elsewhere online! For any Spark representative replying to this: ONLY resolution I REQUEST is kill the damned account and drop the bull **** game! That account should have been closed months ago!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and your feedback. Our records indicate that our Office of the President has already thoroughly reviewed the account and discussed the findings with you. The balance on the account is valid and considered past due.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I have a received an early termination fee letter and it says that I have to pay $100. I don't even remember signing up for Spark Energy. One day someone knocked my door claiming to be a representative of my provider and took some info. Few days after that I started receiving mails from sparkenergy, as I didn't sign up for sparkenergy I kept ignoring their mails. Looks like they are trying to scam people by sending their agents as agents of my provider. Beware of these people, I will not trust anyone who knocks my door again, lesson learned. And I am never trusting sparkenergy ever again.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience and would have hoped that the mail you received would have alerted you to contact us sooner and dispute the enrollment. We don't condone any misrepresentation or misleading information from our sales agents. We'd be happy to review the details of your account and see how we can assist you; please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I agree with Marie in Sacramento. There are door to door salesmen that pretty much demand to see your PG&E bill. They told me that if I added them to my already existing account that my bill would be half of what it originally came in as monthly. This conversation was not recorded. I of course agreed because who doesnt want a lower bill? She then put me on a recorded line with a gentleman who asked me if I understand what I agreed to. I said yes.

Once my first bill came in DOUBLE what my original bill would have been I called to complain. I was then told that I was on a recorded line saying I agreed to their terms. I agreed to a bill being cut in half not doubled. When they sent that recording to Consumer Affairs they then subsequently told me they could not help me because I agreed to the terms. They never actually recorded the terms that the salesperson explained to me. Now if I want to opt out I have to either pay $100 or wait for the year to be up all the while receiving a bill from this company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience. The enrollment verification is recorded by a third party to ensure that the customer is aware of the terms they are agreeing to - this includes the price and cancellation fee. The recorded enrollment confirmation also ensures that the terms that the sales agent explains are the correct ones and if the customer chooses not to agree or has questions about the terms, the enrollment can be stopped at any point.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Spark called me and said that I was gonna be able to rebate with them. They would mail it. I switched but I haven't gotten a rebate, only a bill from them. I've been with them going on three months now and my bill's about the same.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your business and taking the time to leave us a review. If you need assistance with your account or have any questions about your plan, please don't hesitate to call our Customer Service department - we are here to help.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity author review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team