Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

It sounds like you knew exactly what you needed in a supplier and we are happy to hear that you chose one of our Green Products. We appreciate you for being one of our valued customers and hope that you are a Spark Energy customer for years to come. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

A friend of mine worked at Spark Energy and he came by and put me on it. Since then, I'm not paying as much as I did. My neighbor complained about his energy bills going up but my bill goes up only if I use more wattage, not because the company had changed the price of the watt usage. And due to the way I like to operate, I have no choice but to use Spark Energy. I'm heavy on going green and I don't litter so I chose a green energy product. Also, my previous energy provider never asked how I was doing and they just wanted the money when the bill is due. But Spark called me to see how the service is going so that's a plus for them and I appreciate it. They have a bunch of friendly people and everyone's treated me well. Everything's been great.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. I do apologize about your recent experience but I can assure you that Spark Energy is not a scam. We are a legitimate company that has been in business for over 10 years. Your account concerns were escalated to our Office of the President department by the call center supervisor and are currently being investigated. Once the investigation is complete, a representative from the Office of the President will be contacting you by phone or email. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

An Spark Energy agent stopped by my house when I wasn't home. My father speak very little English. This man manipulated my father saying “Your bill will be cheaper than PG&E.” and made my father sign some papers. When I came home I was told about this. My father was never given any copies of anything and all of the sudden we get a bill of $346.27! This is a scam! This is manipulating people. Why would you take advantage of someone like this? $346.27 for a month? This is a scam!!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. We can understand your frustration with the increase in delivery charges but that is a fee that Spark Energy has no control over. Upon enrolling, we advise the customer that they will remain a customer of PG&E for delivery services but we have no information detailing the price PGE will charge. A representative from the Office of the President has reached out to you in an effort to better address your concerns and bring you to a satisfied resolution. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Spark canvassers came to our neighborhood in April of 2016, soliciting for new customers at a "locked in rate per therm". Canvassers failed to disclose how changing transmission costs could affect our bill. Thinking we were getting a good deal, I signed a year long contract (which if canceled, applied a $100.00 fee). Throughout the summer months I saw small savings, however now that we are in winter mode I became aware of PG & E changing their transmission fee on a month to month basis. When speaking with Genero from PG & E on Jan, 6, 2017, I was informed that the transmission fee fluctuates based on usage and commodity value. In speaking with this customer service person I was complaining about the increase in transmission cost from Nov. 2016 @ $33.50 to $110.44 in Dec. 2016.

Resolution In Progress

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your bills are still high despite the change in weather. Your account has remained on a low fixed rate and it appears that although you state you do not run your AC, your usage is still high. As mentioned by the customer service representative, we recommend requesting a meter re-read/test then looking into appliances that may be consistently running. In regards to your invoices, a new invoice was just generated on Tuesday (the day before you called in) so you can expect to receive a copy in the mail this week if you have not already received it by now. If you still would like us to review your account, please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

Ok, at first I really didn't notice the price in my bill because I have another provider help pay my bill, but when the money ran out, then I notice. Ok summer months I understand higher bills, but Dec when I didn't run my AC at all and still got a $200 plus dollar bill. Something not right. That’s the same prices I had in the summer when I ran the AC. I'm calling today. I know no one going to tell me anything but I'm wrong and they right but I also need them to mail me my damn bill. I had to go online to see the bill. Seem like when I'm getting overcharged, I don't get a bill through the mail. Oh and don't be late. They going to blow your phone up all day like you don't know you late. You going to be late paying high ass bills. A rip off like the cable company. I'm going to look into other companies. I'm looking to switch real soon. Don't recommend to no one at the moment.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are sorry that Spark Energy was not beneficial to you. Our Regulatory department has received your BBB complaint and PUC complaint and will be responding accordingly.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Upfront info: Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) is the provider in Sacramento, CA. Putting aside the fast-talking sales reps that comb through the neighborhood making their deal of cheaper (in this case) natural gas, overall the program is not worth it - here is why: The price per therm of gas with PG&E varies by season (winter vs. summer) and what it costs them to buy the gas, etc. as well as the Tier usage (if you go over the first tier baseline you pay more per therm in the second Tier). SPARK Energy offers to charge you a flat rate for the gas they provide to PG&E, in my case, $0.749. Sound good? Yes.

What SPARK Energy does not thoroughly explain is that PG&E still charges for delivery of the gas to you home, because there is only one gas line. SPARK did not build the gas line, nor do they maintain the gas line and PG&E has the right, and deserves this right, to charge for delivery of that gas. THIS MEANS YOU ARE PAYING FOR THE PRODUCT AND THE DELIVERY. You pay for the product and delivery with PG&E before signing up with SPARK. The PG&E tier pricing varies, SPARK remains the same. Still sounds good? Yes.

PG&E provides a credit for the gas they would have charged you for that is now coming from SPARK Energy. That credit is what you would have been charged for the product (the gas) PG&E would have charged you. It's less than what SPARK Energy charges. PG&E charges delivery/therm less the cost of the product plus some local or state tax(es)/fees. SPARK Energy charges a customer charge per day of $0.16270 and "usage", which is the gas in therms, at $0.749 plus a city tax (that's twice for the city tax). IT IS ALMOST LIKE PAYING FOR THE SAME PRODUCT TWICE.

Like this: PG&E charged $133.19 for therms (Tier 1 & 2 added together). PG&E charged $15.91 for the taxes, surcharges. PG&E credited $39.07 for the product they would have provided, the gas, which they did not give you because you get SPARK Energy gas. Total you would have paid for your November gas bill: $149.10. Your new gas bill looks like this: $149.10 less the credit = $111.03 STILL due to PG&E for taxes and delivery. SPARK Energy charges you a delivery fee too! That's the X amount of days multiplied by $0.16270. That is the fee SPARK Energy does not tell you about when they are drawing circles and arrows around your PG&E bill when they come to the door. Ok, it's only $4.88 but still. The monthly fee is stated on contract as $4.95.

SPARK Energy adds the city tax on for the product, varies by usage (in my case 7.5%). SPARK Energy then charges for the product at $0.749 per therm (in my case it was 83 therms), that's $62.17. That $62.17 for the product - PG&E charged only $38.07 and already charges for delivery. Now you owe SPARK Energy $72.08 on top of the PG&E $111.03 for a grand total of $183.11. That is a bill that went from what would have been $149.10 to $183.11. That is $34.01 to SPARK Energy - I can use $34.01 in my own pocket. LASTLY - If you don't catch this soon enough, after the first billing cycle, the contract you have with SPARK Energy allows for a $100 fee to terminate early. That fee is worth it to me to stop paying them anywhere from $20 extra (for October) to $34 (November). How about that?

In 4 or 5 months that $100 will be exceeded by the extra money you pay to SPARK Energy for, well, pretty much nothing, and most definitely for something you don't need because of all the hidden, that's right, HIDDEN costs that SPARK Energy FAILS to inform you about. Now on to the Better Business Bureau to keep that TEXAS based company from taking advantage of any more people in California and my complaint to the Public Utilities Commission in hopes to get some or all of my $100 early termination fee back from SPARK Energy. It was not a good faith contract.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

A young lady came to my door and assured me that I could save money by signing up with Spark Energy. She also claimed that my current utility company, PG&E was going to raise their rates. I was convinced and agreed. However when I read the contract I found that the cost was not regulated. I also discovered that many complaints had been lodged against Spark. So I refused to sign the contract but kept it.

I then emailed Spark and told them that I had not signed the contract and they should not bill me as I did not wish to buy their product. I then call PG&E and advised them that I did not wish to buy Spark product and had not signed any contract. I was assured that nothing would change. My cancel confirmation # is **, Gas service agreement is #**. However I just received my PG&E bill and Spark had charged me an additional 151.97 over the normal PG&E charges for the month. How do I stop this company from exploiting me?

Resolution In Progress

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. A representative from the Office of the President has reached out to you and brought you to a satisfied resolution. It was our pleasure assisting you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

Someone knocked on my door, demanded to show him bills after he said to try Spark Energy and he said "You can cancel anytime just try for couple month." After couple month when I started receiving higher bills than before so I called to cancel. Guess What!? Pay cancellation fee $60! You kidding!!? Yeah I was mislead with false information so I was stuck... was hoping contract will expire and they will go away... hm no!

I got a bill couple days ago $150 from this $87 from Spark Energy. Called them they said "Your contract expired and you are being charged $1.90." WHAT?? WHO IN THE WORLD PAYS THIS MUCH PER TERM??? They said they will send me as an apology $100 coupon to the restaurants, I said okay. They offered renewal contract - when I refused they said "$100 coupon will not be send because you are cancelling". LOL. So they are taking back their apology?? Very funny! I was mislead with false info and robbed literally!!! Also they took apology back! So I'm here dissatisfied and very upset. I wouldn't even give them a one star, cause this review defines less than half! Thank you for your time and WATCH OUT!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with Spark Energy and for any inconvenience that it may have caused. Our records indicate that a representative from the Office of the President has reached out to you to address your concerns. They will assist you in bringing you to a satisfied resolution.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Well I got a knock on the door, this guy shown his badge. He asked to see my gas bill. He said he could beat this price. So I went ahead and signed up. I was paying $.39 per therms. After getting my 2nd bill because the first bill is still with PG&E it was $.67 per therm. I called and they told me that since I signed a contract I was stuck at this price. I asked them how to get out of my contract. They said it would be $100.00. I told them I was mislead in believing that I was suppose to pay less. They didn't care. So I filed a complaint with the utility commission for California.

Be careful. This is how it works and how I stuck in this: When you're switching utility companies for gas it can take up to 2 billing cycles to see your bill. With that said, I have a 30 day to get out of my contract. It took 2 months for me to see my first bill. So I was in past the 30 days. So I was stuck in contract (the laws need to change on this). Instead of seeing 1 bill, take your bills for the last 12 months and compare them. See if you are on a fixed rate or not. I missed this. I was on a fixed rate at $.39. If its too good to be true it probably is. Do homework before saying yes. I did homework on the company, but I didn't come to this site to see about the lies the door to door salesmen do.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We appreciate you for taking the time out of your day to leave us a review, although I am saddened to hear about the negative experience you have gone through. A representative from the Office of the President has reached out to you and is currently investigating your concerns. We will be happy to bring you to a satisfied resolution. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

My mom's house is under my name, therefore all her utility bills are also in my name. She doesn't speak any English and someone from Spark Energy decided to knock on her door and convince my non-English speaking mother to sign up for Spark Energy UNDER MY NAME. No identification required, no one asked her her name. No one even made sure she is me, the person whose name is being contracted without me knowing. So she moves out July 2016. I make sure everything is paid. CoMed, Nicor, Comcast, etc. It's now December and I receive a collection notice saying I owe spark energy 338$. My first question is who the heck is Spark Energy? Of course I call to come to find out someone knocked on my mom's door and made a contract with her without my consent. HOW DOES THIS COMPANY ALLOW THAT?

If you are going to sign ANY contract under my name, it better be me agreeing. If I'm the one being sent to collections then why didn't anyone tell me I'm being signed up for this? My mom doesn't even know what happened. She said someone came knocking on the door and told her they can make her bill cheaper and asked for a bill. REALLY? This is ridiculous and I will sue Spark Energy for using my name and my social without my consent. I will sue them for basically forcing their way into making a contract with my mom who has no idea what they are doing.

My main concern here is, how do you make contracts without one's consent? Oh so if my mom consented to you because she had no freaking idea who you are and thought she can be saving a few bucks now this all falls on the person who gave NO AUTHORIZATION to use my name. This is my name, my credit, my social, and it's all getting ruined because Spark Energy wants to be thirsty for some money. Well I will tell you this I will not pay Spark Energy a dollar and I will sue them for using my name to create a contract without me being there and without me consenting to anything. I never authorized anyone or any company to use my name and that's the bottom line! They will pay for ruining my credit!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback, Ms. Fontenot. We can assure that it is never our intention to cause of customer's any financial hardship. It does appear that you benefitted from a system error that inadvertently extended your fixed rate. Although the fixed rate was extended past the contract expiration date, a notice was sent explaining the upcoming rate that could be charged. We’d still like the chance to discuss this with you so we may bring you to a satisfied resolution. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I was under a 6 month contract that expired but when a representative contacted me about renewing, they explained that my rate would remain the same whether I renewed or not, so I didn't. My rate stayed the same from May 2015 all the way until I canceled my service. My bill averaged about $60 but once I canceled my service, they increased my rate and which made my last bill was almost $200. The only reason they increased my rate was because I canceled my service. One of the representatives even told me that if I didn't cancel, they would lower the bill. They even said that I shouldn't have been paying the low rate so I was lucky that I hadn't be charged the higher rate for the past few months. Another representative even said they wouldn't have noticed had I not called.

It's not fair that I was penalized for an error on their part. It's absurd to expect me to pay a bill that's tripled! Everyone I spoke to said there was nothing that could be done. I even spoke to a "supervisor" who left me a ridiculous voicemail and didn't even bother returning my call. Don't trust these people. This is poor service on every level. Had I known that the rate would increase, of course I would've done what was necessary to keep my bill manageable but to increase it so drastically was low!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. Our records indicate that you have been in communication with our Office of the President and they were able to bring you to a satisfied resolution in regards to your enrollment and cancelation concerns. Should you have any additional concerns, please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I was tricked into signing up for their service via door-to-door. And after over a year of unwittingly being vastly overcharged (12 cents per kWh where the average was 6.5), I made a very concerted and explicit effort to cancel service and go back to regular ComEd supply. I then called back a day later to ensure this was the case. This was two months ago and I now see that whomever I spoke to never pulled the trigger, and so for two months I have continued to get absolutely screwed by their insane pricing. These people should be investigated, this is borderline criminal.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you for choosing Spark Energy. I assure you that we have all of our rates available online by simply entering your zip code. While we are not able to predict other companies’ prices, you can definitely compare our pricing to that of other companies to ensure that you are getting what is best suited for you

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

Based on the discount that they gave me, I'd recommend Spark Energy. But it would be nice if Spark Energy could send me something to show there's a difference between them and other companies such as in the rates, so that I'll be confident if I would be recommending them to somebody. Spark Energy issues a paperless statement, so I don't get to see it. I haven't gotten the new statement yet, just to compare this with the old statement.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We apologize for your recent experience. I'd like to confirm that your concerns are currently being reviewed by our Regulatory department and they will be responding to your complaint from the BBB. We hope they will bring you to a satisfied resolution.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

2 young men came to my door to talk about energy. I just got home from work and am usually wary of anyone trying to "sell" me something, but I figured these guys had probably had more doors shut in their face than customers, so I gave them a shot. I signed up for energy services (electric and gas). I was unaware that I needed to "renew" my contract and when it expired my bill, which would have been $72 was almost $300! When I called to inquire about this, the gentleman on the phone said "Well if you had renewed your bill would have only been $72."

So I told him to please renew my contract so my bill would be corrected and he stated "Oh no ma'am. I can renew your contract but that bill will remain $300, since you didn't renew in time." Needless to say, with those kind of sneaky practices and unwillingness on the behalf of your customer service, I cancelled my service and will not be returning. Shame on you & I feel sorry for the poor young people you exploit to try and peddle your deception.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your review. If there is an error made on Spark Energy's behalf, we will do everything in order to make it right for the customer. Our Office of the President thoroughly researched this matter and the investigative results concluded that Spark Energy took the necessary steps to ensure that the enrollment was handled correctly. As always, we are more than happy to discuss what transpired on your account.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Botched my transition to energy company and left me with hundreds of dollars in incremental utility charges. Emailed service and got no response for 48 hours. Called service and rep could care less about my losses. Then received an email from President's office who took 4 days to reiterate nonsense excuses and offer a 25 dollar gift card if I signed up again. You have to be kidding. Don't be seduced by their rate plans. They are truly awful and should not be considered as a service provider.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Although your price per kilowatt remains fixed for the duration of your contract, the amount of your monthly bill will also be based on the amount of electricity that you consume each month and also the delivery charges from your utility company. We are happy to know that you are benefiting from our products by saving each month compared to your previous provider. We hope you remain one of our valued customers for years to come.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

Spark is okay, but my light bill going up instead of going down. They said that it's supposed to stay at one level, but every month my bill is going up. The first month I paid $80 and that was quite okay, and then last month I paid $100. But I don't know what's going to be this month's bill yet. I called them and they asked if I used AC because the place was hot in the couple weeks for last month, and I said no. I didn't use a lot of AC because nobody was home, and I don't really use a lot of AC in the night. If ever we use it, it's only for a couple of hours and after that everybody goes to bed, and that's it. I have no idea why is it going up. But overall, I'm satisfied because the amount I was paying before from now is okay.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to post about your wonderful experience with Spark Energy. We understand that picking a supplier is not an easy choice but are happy that you found the savings you needed with us! We hope to meet your energy needs for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I was looking around and was going to take whoever offered me the best deal and I found it with Spark. I was supposed to start my service and I even got the letter but there was a glitch so it fell through the cracks. It wasn't on my bill. Then, I happened to call in at the right time and there was a promotion which was what I needed to get the price down.

The provider I had then was fighting to stay on my account. They were still sending me letters that said I should let them know if I'm interested in coming back but I didn't pay attention to them. I had them for so long but they never even thought that they should drop the rate. I was paying 89 cents per kilowatt which was outrageous. My bill was $500 a month in the summer time and $600 in the winter time. The electricity bill was putting me out of my house and I couldn't pay any other bill. It was so messed up and made me physically ill.

The issue got straightened out. To go from 89 cents per kilowatt to 0.06 was perfectly worth it. The cost is now affordable. With the difference in my bill, I can pay my taxes on time or cover insurance. I'm glad it's over. I'm hoping I could renew as I don't mind staying with people if they are fair. If they give me a good rate next time, I'm going to keep it because it's the lowest rate I've ever seen. I have already recommended Spark to some people. It was a gift from God.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for providing us your feedback. We are extremely disappointed to hear about your experience. We'd like to resolve this issue for you and will be contacting you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

It was in the evening when two Spark Energy representatives came into my apartment building and began knocking on all the doors. I opened my door and they immediately came into my apartment, without even asking first and then started hurriedly asking to see my energy bills and how we could save so much if we used Spark Energy. They really don't give you enough space and time for you to really look at the numbers and terms and understand what you're getting yourself into. So naively, I decided to trust them and signed on as a customer. I don't know if their rate was abnormally high but that's not what annoyed me. I moved from my apartment after my 1 year lease was up, but as I signed up a couple months into my lease, I was now hit with an early termination fee.

Now, it wasn't even the amount of the early termination fee ($100) that annoyed me, it was their way of notifying me. I got a bunch of unhelpful robot messages from Spark Energy asking me to call them back with no indication as to why I should. When I would call them back, I would always have to wait on their automated phone system so I eventually gave up and blocked their number because I assumed it was spam. Had a human called me or even if the robot had given a basic one line reason as to why they were calling me I would have had this fee settled LONG AGO.

No, instead it was over a year later when I was applying for a mortgage that I learned that they had sent me to collections and it was now showing up on my credit report. I called them and their customer service rep actually said they would waive the charge. I also disputed the charge on my credit report and saw my credit rise over a hundred points. A few months later (that would be today), I get another call from Spark Energy and I call back and they are completely unaware of the waiving.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying savings and convenience by switching to Spark Energy. We truly value your business and hope we can continue servicing your energy needs.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

The person from Spark who I was able to speak to was knowledgeable and courteous. He did a good job. We switched to them because there was a large difference in price on what they offered compared to our previous provider. It was more convenient. My bills have been lower for the past month.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are happy to hear that you are satisfied with Spark Energy; however, we noticed that star rating was negative. We'd like to know how we can further improve your experience with us; can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we may discuss?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I'm definitely satisfied with Spark Energy. Their sales rep was really nice, knew what she was talking about, and didn't sell me a dream; I see the same price per kilowatt on my bill. My bill hasn't changed from $400 a month forever even after changing to Spark. The price stability is important to me because I have five kids and they spend a lot of time watching TV or they have light on so they can read, so there's always something on at our home. A guy that I work with has Spark Energy too. They made everything energy-efficient in his house. They gave him a brand new stove, refrigerator, insulated his house and the cost totaled up in bill that he pays each month.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Nielsen. We are sorry to hear that your experience has not been a positive one. We have emailed you so that we may further discuss your account and bring you to a satisfied resolution.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Spark Energy sounded good when I first got it but I'm not all that happy with it. There was no difference in my service, but I noticed a difference in my bill. It's more expensive than my ComEd was. It's supposed to be a standard flat rate and stay there. I thought maybe Spark Energy can save money on the delivery charge cost that they say, that they give me the flat rate on it in certain amounts, but it didn't work out. But they are really thorough and they are right there for me. They also seemed to be like a pretty good company for their employees. So maybe they're taking all that extra money and keeping everybody happy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with Spark Energy. We truly do value your loyalty and your feedback. We will reach out to you soon. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I have been a customer for years. I missed the account renewal, got charged more than 3 times my usual bill (usually Maximum is $90/month this was $340/month) for an apartment! After I called to sort it out and renew, I was only told that they couldn't do anything to lower my bill even with a renewal. Usually, especially for a loyal customer and especially if you are willing to renew, companies will lower your fees to fit your current plan, but not this one. Would Not Recommend.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. We definitely understand the importance of savings and low cost; we're happy that you have found that with us. Thank you for giving Spark Energy the opportunity to be of service to you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

My bill was extremely high, so I switched to Spark Energy. My bill went down since then. The only time I spoke with their team was when I got the service started. They were very friendly. In fact, they got excellent customer service.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Mr. Henderson, thank you for your feedback. Typically, we include the Electricity Facts Label document, which explains the month-to-month price, in our contract expiration notice that is mailed or emailed. It looks like you are currently being assisted by one of our specialists and we hope we can bring you to a satisfied resolution.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Warning: Spark isn't a 4 or 5 star experience for everyone! I recently checked my Spark bill and noticed it had more than doubled from the previous month. I was shocked. I called Spark to inquire and was told it was due to my failure to renew my contract before 9/9/2016. This is a reasonable position to take if there had been a full and complete disclosure. There wasn't. In fact, I knew I was in month to month status and WAS informed that my contract needed to be renewed. BUT, because I am moving at the end of this month, I thought I would complete the renewal at the same time I transferred service.

Of course, had I known the rates would increase so dramatically I would have renewed immediately. Who wouldn't? At no time was I told an increase this large would occur and if this information was included in an email or letter, it was not obvious or highlighted in any way. The only relevant statement regarding price change on my bills is: "The amount billed on this invoice includes price changes allowed by the rules of the Public Utility Commission."

I was never under the impression I would be billed at such high rate. I really feel that a clear and specific statement of how much your rates will go up is not an unreasonable expectation. At the end of the day, however, I don't have any way to fight the bill and the only way I can protest is to seek a different provider. Unfortunately, this means nothing to Spark. I'm just one more guy mad at the electric company and Spark could care less.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with Spark Energy so far. It sounds like you are very educated and knew exactly what to look for when you picked Spark Energy. Although we cannot include additional information since we do not generate your invoice, we'd like to thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I worked for a utility company so I knew about the offerings for generation from a few utilities. But I did my own research about what I thought were the two or three better companies from what I've read, and that's how I chose Spark. They had the best offer and I liked what I read. I chose the fixed rate because I was concerned about how the prices would start climbing. So, I wanted to see if I could lock the price under some reasonable timeframe. In the past, I always relied on the utility to be the purchaser of power, and this was the first time that I went with a provider of the generation on the site.

They always have the consumer in mind. The only recommendation that I would make is that people receive some sort of information on what to expect on the next cycle, so one way to retain a customer would be to warn them about what's coming on the next billing cycle and why. I think educated consumers tend to be retained more than the ones that are not educated at all.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying services with us. We appreciate your kind words and hope to continue servicing your energy needs for many years to come.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Commonwealth Edison can sometimes be a little crazy in our area. Then a rep from Spark Energy called and the interaction with him went well and very smooth. It was obviously a well framed and well thought of him to do the presentation. Their rates looked very good and competitive and a lot better than ComEd was supplying. Everything is as reliable as before. It’s just that the price is a lot better. I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for choosing to join the Spark Energy family. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you. We look forward to many years of continued business.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Spark Energy's team are good people and I'd recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are ecstatic to hear that you have benefited from our services. We understand that every dollar counts and are happy that we were able to help you save a little each month. We are truly thankful that you have chosen Spark Energy to be your electric supplier and appreciate that you have taken time out of your day to share your feedback. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

My landlady has Spark Energy and she told me it was good because I could get my rate better with them. I'm a 60-year old senior with medical conditions so I'm on a budget. I figured Spark Energy would help me out and it has. I've been paying less and saving $2-3 when on a budget is good news. Also, they are very efficient when I call. I am happy with Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your wonderful words. We love hearing that our plans benefit by reducing monthly energy costs and we look forward to continued business with you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

Spark Energy having a lower price convinced me to go with them and I got from them a fixed-rate energy product. They're cheaper compared to the electricity or natural gas provider I had previously. Also, the team at Spark Energy was nice but very persistent.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to read about a positive customer experience. We are truly thankful that you have chosen Spark Energy to be your electric supplier and we are looking forward to providing your energy needs for many years to come. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

We were supposed to switch to Spark but for some reason, it didn't happen. We were left with another carrier at a higher amount. When it came to our attention, we were looking to switch since our bill was so high. We’re on a fixed income and my husband’s going to be 82 and I’m 72. It doesn't make sense for anybody to want to pay more for a basic necessity. It’s not economically sound so we went with the same service at a better price. We looked up in our area who had the best rates per kilowatt at that particular time, and it showed that it was Spark Energy Gas and Electricity.

I don’t have any problems with Spark. The amount of our electric bill has been reasonable and it’s cheaper than what we were paying before. We got one electric bill that was outrageous with the other company, which was almost $500 or $600 for the month because of heating during the winter. We did have an electric heater on, but it was still way off the chart. On the whole, we're happy with Spark and we haven't had any interruptions or loss of service.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We believe that you may have contacted the incorrect Spark Energy. Unfortunately, Spark Energy, LLC is not yet offering services in areas outside of the United States. We have no affiliation with Spark Energy Ltd which is located in the UK. You may be able to locate their contact information by visiting https://sparkenergy.co.uk/.

Original review: July 21, 2016

I have been a client of Spark energy for 18 months. During this time I had a direct debit of 50£/month, and my balance was always negative (paid more than consumed). During this time they told me that if the estimations were near to my consumption I wouldn't have to worry (and they were). When my negative balance reached 300£, they then estimated a magical consumption of 6000kWh with an astonishing invoice of 940£ (when the estimation the last 18 months was between 200 and 400kWh), setting my balance in a debt of 600£ and increasing my direct debit to 150£. When I checked this, I immediately put my readings; the gas was 40 units more than the estimation of the last quarter, and the energy was 50 units (less than they were estimating).

When I called to reset my direct debit, then they recalculated everything, remove my old invoices from the system, and gave me three new invoices, where magically my balance of -300£ was converted into a debt of 300£ (600£ of difference!!!) and set up the direct debit to 100£. It is astonishing that they can remove old (and paid) invoices, generate new ones, set the consumption divided in time as they get more benefit, and everything starting with a HUGE and crazy estimation to make you bite. Bank always win, and energy companies I guess is the same. NEVER TRUST THIS COMPANY. And ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for paper invoices, as they can remove the old ones, even if paid, from their system, even if are more than one year old.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Profile