Call toll free
Show rating distribution
Call toll free

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2017

544 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Spark Energy had a low introductory rate for a while and that was favorable. It had gone up but it was still a little lower than what my utility company charges so it was okay. If the rates are high and someone’s offering a lower deal for a certain period, then I would probably go with the lower price at least during the summer months when we use a lot of electricity. Spark Energy is a good service and I’d recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback and would also like to encourage you to contact our customer service department so we ensure you are aware of all your rate options.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I did an internet search for the different providers in my area and Spark Energy had better rates than most and they had good reviews. Price stability was important for me for a period of time that it was given. The Spark team was good upon my initial sign up. There could be a difference in service somewhere down the road but Spark energy is pretty equal to our previous provider as of now. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review detailing your experience with Spark Energy. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns about plans or charges.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Spark Energy's rates and talking with some other people who had them, and thinking that they were pretty good made me go with them. However, they were not upfront with what they said they were going to do. I was overcharged. They raised it up from 7 cents to almost 12 cents a kilowatt hour. They did not refund the money, and they did not want to come down to the rates that I had prior to them overcharging me. Nobody could make a decision and I got a runaround. I am very dissatisfied. I would not recommend them to anyone because they’re very truthful and that’s not the way to do business. I have cancelled my service and I’m waiting for a refund from them. If they don’t respond within another month, the state will go after them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience with Spark Energy. Mr. Garey, we'd like to ensure that your account is properly handled; can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I had a 2 year contract with Spark Energy. After it ended I received a very large electric bill. They started charging me at a rate of $0.1740 per KWH which is double the PP&L base rate of $0.08493 per KWH. I called and complained and they said that they could charge me whatever they wanted to when I am on a month-to-month variable rate. Don't use this Company. It would have been cheaper to pay the $100 penalty to cancel the contract early.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience, Mr. Byrne. I'd like to confirm that we have received your email and our Office of the President is currently reviewing your account. Also please be advised that once a contract expires, we are no longer able to pre-purchase the energy at a fixed rate; therefore, we have to buy the energy at a much higher rate.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Spark Energy was offering a good rate. I’ve been with them just recently and so far, it’s been alright. I always had other providers before them and I noticed that the pay rate was different.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We hope that you will consider us again in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns about your previous account or any new plans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I wasn’t satisfied with Spark Energy. The person that came to speak to me didn’t tell me exactly what's going to happen. He wasn’t very thorough. He said my bill is going to be lower and that I should enroll quickly and I did. I was thrown into it. I’ve only had it for four months or so and I have noticed that I am paying more than I was prior. When I actually spoke to somebody, they said that I’m actually paying more so I was a little disappointed by hearing that.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Ms. Amaral, thank you for your feedback; although, we are saddened to see you haven't had a positive experience. We have located your account and our Office of the President will be reaching out to you to see if we can attempt to bring you to a satisfied resolution. Thank you again for letting us know how you feel.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This company straight out takes your money. I do not know how they are able to get away with it. I've already paid them $500 in 8 months, what they do is they start charging you their rate for gas usage on top of PG&E's charge. In my case, I got the incredible rate of .75 per therm, so in January this year, I paid them $70.20 for 87 Therms plus their Customer Charge of $5.04. As I mentioned, I also had to pay $76.30 to PG&E for "Gas Delivery Charges" (which they do not disclose) at 1.87/Therm. So in total I paid $151.54!!! The previous year, without "The Spark Energy Con", my gas bill was only $84.59. This piece of crap company came knocking on my door with the promise to reduce my overall Gas Bill, so far that mistake has costed me almost $500!!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize if there was any miscommunication or confusion regarding the delivery charges and your Spark Energy rate. We'd like to discuss your account further to resolve your concerns. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I found Spark Energy on the Connecticut Energy website and Spark has good overall rating and price. I had a great interaction with their team when I called them. Their service is good and my bill has been a little bit lower. Spark Energy is good and efficient.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your honest feedback. Please think of us the next time you are in the market for a new supplier.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I switched over to Spark Energy for someone in our chamber's house because it is for residential. That guy who does things for me gave me the information, I went online, did an account, and set it up. I found their customer service to be very good. I had to call back since it wasn't switched but I kept all my notes so I knew who I talked to, when I talked to them and what I was supposed to get. The lady that I talked to said, "I believe you. You have all the information." The lady was apologetic that it happened and I was fine. She was very courteous even though the first one didn't go through. They are going to go back and credit me.

I did the same thing for our office but for some reason, it went through because they sent a notice. That means Spark sent a notice out saying, "Important. Your rate expires and it could go to $12.99." I called since we didn't want that to happen. It's funny because I didn't get a confirmation on my personal one but I had it written down that I had the $7.99 for six months, the $50. I spoke with Leslie and I have a confirmation number.

Spark Energy sends me something and their rates are reasonable. Also, they followed up with another letter on July 27th and they confirmed what I have. They do a good job with informing me when it's going to expire and then confirming when I go ahead and change products and they confirmed it. I'm glad that Spark notifies us because unless I put it in somewhere, I'm going to forget or I can look at the bill. The electric bills are starting to say what I have. I hope their rates are going to stay the same because I don't like to switch but I don't want to pay $12 if I can pay $7.9. Overall, I’m very satisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for providing us a positive feedback despite the failed renewal on your account. Upon reviewing the residential account, I was able to confirm that we were able to correct your renewal rate just in time so that you weren't billed at the $0.1299 rate. If you have any questions or concerns on either of your accounts, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My overall experience with Spark Energy has been great. They were easy to work with. I've used another electric natural gas provider in the past and Spark has a cheaper rate.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are overjoyed to hear that your experience with Spark Energy has been great. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We appreciate your review.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Our previous provider's rates were higher than UI and I didn't like that. With Spark, everything with the service is the same but the price is a lot better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed having Spark Energy as your electric supplier.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Somebody came to my house and told me about Spark Green Energy. My experience with them has been easy and good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for signing up for one of our renewable energy plans. We appreciate your business and hope to keep you as a happy customer for many years to come.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

This company is saying I signed up with them over the phone on February 9, 2015 however according to them my contract did not start until January 13, 2016, I don't know how that can be possible! Also they are very misleading, they send someone door to door to get your information stating it’s a low income program. My contract that I was not even aware of with them ended January 11, 2017, and since then they have been over charging me and according to them they sent me a letter in November of 2016. We really need to get together and file a lawsuit against these people. I thought I had PGE all along, they led me to believe this was just low income verification and what they did was actually sign me up for a contract with them!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience, Mrs. Rangel. We would like the chance to review your account to see if we can offer you a resolution. Please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account information. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I went online to the Connecticut website and Spark Energy was the cheapest. I’m on a six-month fixed price and it was less than what I was paying at that time. I have used 10 different providers in the last five years because I have to. There's no choice because they will go for six cents to 13 cents and every provider does the same thing. So, we're forced to negotiate a new one. Every six months I renew with the lowest provider. Usually, whoever I was with, it’s tremendously more expensive the second six months so, it's very rare that I go to the same company twice. The team at Spark Energy called me to try to renegotiate but their cost was still too high.

The providers are all the same and there's no way they could provide something different. They produce power to a network but they're not producing electricity that goes directly to me. So, realistically, they're just a name on a piece of paper. There's no possible connection that would have any impact on the customer. Similar to all the other providers that I had used in the past, the experience is all good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about Spark Energy and the market in general. We truly hope that you consider us in the future. Feel free to email, chat or call us if you have questions about current plans.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I signed up with Spark Energy. I was told my energy bill would go down. We even looked at the charges on my current PG&E bill and I was told what my future bill would be in comparison (about 1/2). What they did not tell me was that PG&E would still charge me the delivery fees and even with the "Lower Rate" my bill would be more. When I called to cancel based on the higher bill, they first offered an even lower rate, but even with that my bill would go up. In addition to the higher bill, they charged me an early cancellation fee of $100. I used the services for 2 months and am out over $200. SCAM.

Updated on September 9, 2017: On 8/18 I received a response to my review of my dealings with Spark Energy. "Thank for providing your honest feedback. Although you are no longer our customer, we would still like the opportunity to thoroughly review your account and the enrollment. Please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we may assist." I responded through both the review and emails on 8/19 and again on 8/27 with no response. The company should not bother to respond to a negative review if they are not going to follow through.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Well I received a phone call from a representative from Spark Energy on 08/05 to switch my electric. I enrolled and my electric was suppose to be switched on 08/08. Today is 8/15 and my electric was turned off because they never switched my electric over. So I call Spark, after I received a call from my children stating that the electric was off. I had to leave work to deal with this cause for a week I was thinking I was switched to Spark but I wasn't. Then after speaking with 4 different agents I was told they found my enrollment but I would have to wait until the next day 08/16 for my service to be reconnected. Really???

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly apologize for your experience. This is definitely not how we would like your relationship with us to begin. We'd like to investigate to see what occurred and if there is a process we need to improve or if it was just a one-time error. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

If you are with Spark find another provider. They are a big scam. Last year my bill was $320.00. This year same month and the use of less energy. My monthly billing is $570.00. What an eye opening surprise. Called Spark, was told too bad. The contract I had with them ended in 2014 3 years ago. Why is this the first am hearing that I have no contract. They have been billing me for years. Told me they can double my bill if they want. However they did offer me a $75.00 gift card. I told them to keep the card. How do they get off doubling the rates and think it's okay. This is certainly not. If you have Spark find another provider now before you get scammed and screwed also.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We are saddened to hear that you didn't have a positive experience with Spark Energy. We'd like the opportunity to review your account so we may assist. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account information?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I go with the cheapest price available and I read about Spark Energy on the internet. They're a little bit cheaper than other providers so I signed up with them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review about your experience with Spark Energy. We look forward to continuing to provide you low rates and excellent customer service. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us when you need to update your plan or have questions about our charges. Thank you for feedback.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have been using Spark Energy for about a year and a half now, and I had really liked my experience and their service so far. I understand that summer is horrible for the light bill and they have to charge delivery charges, so I was happy with them. But this last bill I received is just ridiculous and horrible. It is around 4 times what I paid just 3 months ago and twice what I paid last month. I called them to see if they could send someone to check on my meter, since I was in disbelief about having such a high bill, but what the rep told me was just the most ridiculous thing I have heard from them. He said that it was so high because I was basically not on a fixed rate for about 15 days. I had just signed up with them for another year and now this happens, I am ready to cancel but of course they will charge me even more.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you are considering cancelling your services with Spark Energy. When a fixed rate contract expires and a renewal is not completed, Spark Energy has to purchase the energy on the spot which is typically at a higher rate due to various factors. Please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so that we may discuss your account.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Spark had been good so far. It’s way better compared to the previous one that I’ve used. I love the lower pricing and the young lady with a beautiful attitude that came out here. Everything’s okay.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We love to hear how our customers are saving money with our low rates. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions regarding your service or plan.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I change energy providers all the time due to cost but I've been on the fixed rate energy products with Spark Energy for about six months now. I didn't have any issues with them and they have been really good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that all is well with your service. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or if you'd like to hear about our renewal rates.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I shop for my electricity regularly as soon as my fixed rate period ends with electricity providers like Spark Energy. What I found out was I get cheaper rates if I switch. The minute I go into the end of my period, they raise my rates up and the only way to get a lower rate again is to switch. The typical rate at which the rates are going to go up to in most of these plans is above the standard rate, which I find unconscionable. I use Energize Connecticut, which is the official state website and at the time, Spark Energy came in having the best price so I signed up with them. They're fine and I received emails from them to confirm the service. If these providers would match what's being shown as standard rates instead of insisting that my rates go up, I wouldn't have to shift.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback Ms. Navon. We definitely understand the importance of securing the lowest rate available and that sometimes the fixed rate plans can increase after the initial term. Our records don't confirm that you contacted us to review available renewal plans before switching. If you in need of a new supplier in the future, please keep us in mind. We would love to have you back as a customer.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Spark's customer service reps are good and I like that it has a good fixed rate. My experience is perfect. I didn't have any problem so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly appreciate your business and are honored that you have selected Spark Energy as your electric supplier. We hope to continue servicing your energy needs for as long as we can. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions about your plan or charges.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Spark came to my house and said that my gas bill and my light would be cheaper, so I got them. However, my husband and I are having issues with the gas because our bill is coming out super high lately.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We are concerned to hear that your gas bill has increased and would definitely like to review your plan to see how we can assist. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your gas and electric account information?

Original review: July 24, 2017

This company is nothing but deceptive and a pure scam. They have to be, or no one would ever choose them. They came to my door a few months ago offering a lower rate for gas than PG&E. They had me bring up my bill and pointed out a part of the bill that lists the number of therms used and the amount charged per therm. For my bill that month, the amount was $1.26448 for tier one and $1.84538 for tier 2. They told me that they would instead charge me $0.749 per therm. What they DON'T tell you is that the amount from PG&E is not a price for just gas like Spark's price is. The amount from PG&E includes the delivery fee. Spark's price is just for gas. If you compare the price for gas from both companies, PG&E's highest amount that month was $0.3866. That is less than HALF of what Spark is charging me.

So they flat out LIE in their sales pitch. But like I said, they have to. If they told the truth, no one would ever sign up to pay twice the price! So I have had to pay at least $10-$15 more each month that I have been stuck with Spark. I called today to cancel and am waiting for the supervisor to call me back so I can fully explain how the sales person deceived me so that they will waive the early termination fee and let me out. I just want them gone for good. This is one of the shadiest companies I have ever dealt with. They are purposefully deceptive then throw the sales people under the bus when customers complain. Then they use the excuse that they did not hire those sales people, some third party company did. Doesn't change the fact that these people are representing them and misrepresenting what they are going to provide.

If you deal with a salesperson from this company, film your encounter with them. Spark will record you agreeing to their "terms" so they can try to blame you for falling for the scam. Do it back to them if you plan on signing up despite my warning along with many others. They have had countless complaints with the BBB because of this nonsense. There really should be a class action against these people. They shouldn't be able to get away with deceiving people like this. It's shameful and disgusting.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience and for any misinformation the door to door sales agent provided. We'd like the chance to resolve your concerns; can you please email our Office of the President with your account details at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: July 14, 2017

Like many of the other complaints here I was sold on Spark based on figures from my salesperson that I would save money by getting gas from Spark not PG&E. After looking at a couple bills (during low usage times so it was hard to tell at first) I have discovered switching will actually cost me more money and not just due to the $5 service charge per month they charge regardless of use. You have to pay PG&E the cost to transport the gas. This turns out to be over 75% of the cost of the bill. Spark would have to have quite a lower rate to save money because the gas cost is such a low component of the bill. Instead turns out they are charging me almost twice as much for the gas itself.

I entered a contract at $.75 per therm and the PG&E rate is around $.39. They also charge a service charge. If you try and cancel they will charge you a $100 termination fee. When I complained and talked to a supervisor telling him I would not pay that and wanted out he said he could not waive it but offered a lower rate of $.60 per therm. Not a surprise considering how much they are charging versus the cost of the utility. I took it because I did not want to pay the $100. Now I am stuck with this ripoff for a year. If they come to your door tell them to beat it.

UPDATED ON 10/14/2017: Once again Spark Energy has managed to rip me off. First they won't let me out of an unfair contract that was negotiated using false claims by their door to door salesforce without paying a $100 cancellation fee. Second after calling and complaining and talking to a manager he offers a lower rate which is still a total ripoff but lower than the original .75 per therm. Finally they have thus far not honored the lower rate which was set in motion in August. When I called to ask why they had not lowered the rate the rep said it was a mistake and would be taken care of and I would get a credit this month. Bill just came. No change, no credit, same crap rate. How these guys are still in business is beyond me. DO NOT BUY SPARK EVER.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear about your experience. I'd like to confirm that our Office of the President has received your feedback via email and a representative has reached out to you to discuss. We look forward to resolving this for you.

Original review: July 12, 2017

In the state, we can now shop around for energy companies from time to time to get the best price, or whether or not we want a greener company and I do that on a pretty regular basis. I heard about Spark from the internet and I went with them because of the price. I just ordered it, then it went on my bill and it’s been fine.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and hope that you continue service with Spark Energy.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I've had two electric bills and Spark Energy hired the one I've been paying so I used them. But I like the one I have and I told the customer service team at Spark that I no longer want their service.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are saddened to hear that you have cancelled your service with Spark Energy. Based on your review, it seems that there is some confusion on how our services work. We'd like the chance to review your account and give you more information on our services. Can you please email us our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: July 8, 2017

Spark was in my neighborhood and they asked me if I was interested in signing up with them. At first, I told them I wasn’t interested. And then they came back out and I asked them to explain the details, and then I signed up with them. They have helped me out on the utilities and I noticed that my gas and light bills were lower.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We love hearing that our customers have received lower energy bills after switching to Spark Energy. We hope to continuing servicing your energy needs for the upcoming years. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need assistance with your account or have any questions about your plan.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I got a renewal e-mail and followed the instructions. I selected the plan and submitted it. I assumed it was taken care of, until I got my next bill saying I was now on a variable rate plan. I have been with them since 2014, never missed a payment with auto-pay, and never had any problems. I called and spoke to a supervisor and was told that they could give me a $50 credit on my account. My bill was nearly 5x what I usually pay and I asked if there was anything else they could do to correct this, since I am sure I submitted my renewal. The supervisor (Theo) said that they had no record of the renewal and that was the best they could do.

I explained that for the amount they were charging, I could not stay with them out of principle due to the error in the renewal process and the fact that they were gouging me by so much. He said that's just how the variable rates work and understood my position. He then suggested I hurry up and switch before the end of the month. I spoke to co-workers and found out that one of them had the same thing happen to his mother. I can safely say that I will never return to them, and everyone I know will hear a mouthful about this, as there are plenty of providers with similar and even better rates.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We understand how frustrating it may be to realize that your renewal request was not submitted. Although you have switched away, we would still like the chance to review your account to see if we can bring you to a satisfied resolution. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information