Call toll free
3.13/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

671 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Our provider was PECO before Spark Energy. We changed and saved a penny or so per KW. Our electric bill is high, but we also have a home built in 1880. Yesterday we decided to have Peco do an energy audit. They showed us that our current rate with Spark is 19 cents/kw—almost 3 TIMES greater than PECO’s 7.2 cents. Due to “electronic billing” and never expecting to be screwed by Spark Energy I missed it. I’m sure they had the contractual right to triple my rate; however they are morally bereft. Relying on billing trickery is a bad business practice.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review Mr. Thornton. We'd like to assure you that we do send notices to our customers to advise them when it's time to renew and also the variable rate they can expect if the contract is not renewed. If you'd like to discuss further, please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I love Spark Energy and I have no problems with them. I initially learned about them through a friend and after hearing how great her experience was and how cheap the rates were, I went with Spark. I chose the Green product and so far, Spark has been great. Most providers are more expensive and I've had people try to switch me but I never switched because I'm in a four-bedroom house and my bill would be 110 which is a very low price every month. And if I have an outage and a reason why it was out, they talk to me about it. But I tried to pay my bill online but their website wouldn't allow me to, so I did it over the phone instead. Other than that, I always recommend Spark to people.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It is always a pleasure to read about a positive customer experience. Your feedback is definitely appreciated and we are very thankful for your business. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with suggestions, concerns or questions.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

The Power to Choose website in Texas gives you the best rates of all the different electricity companies, and Spark Energy had one of the best rates. I’ve been using them for a while now and the experience has been good and easy. They do exactly what they say they’re gonna do, and they provide good electricity and service. They also started doing what I was hoping they would do. It was to give us a little bit more heads-up on when the contracts were up, and then calling and warning us that the rates would go up. The reps I've dealt with have also been professional, easy to talk to and fairly helpful when necessary.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for choosing to be a part of the Spark Energy family. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to leave us feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any suggestion, concerns or questions.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

With Spark our electric bill was $120-185 a month. Cancelled Spark and our electric went to $68-90 a month. I believe it's time for the government to investigate these types of companies' practices. I will be contacting my local representative. I'm sure any positive reviews on here are fake which can be verified by checking actual reviews on Yelp.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Mr. Tate. We are sorry to hear that you cancelled and would've hoped that you allowed us to offer you different rates before deciding to cancel. We'd like to confirm that the Consumer Affairs does request certain information to ensure that the reviews are all from verified customers.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have Spark Energy for a number of years. I looked them up and went with them initially because of their prices. I chose the Green product as I do a lot of green myself and my family. Their service is comparable to what I had before and I haven't had any significant problems with Spark. I had a few billing issues but they were clarified. However, I had a few concerns and when I clarified with their customer service reps, it took a while longer than I liked to. Still, if I was asked about them, I'd tell others that Spark seems to be a good company. They provide reasonable electricity cost and have different products.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback and for your years of business. We are happy to hear that you chose one of our Green products and we appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was a Verde Energy customer and then Spark bought them. I just grandfathered in and I'm on the Green 24. There was more use of solar power in their product line so I was interested. Also, price hasn’t changed too much in comparison to Verde Energy so it’s been good. I’m a heavy user, up at 3,000 kilowatt hours, so $300 a month is typical with all the air conditioners.

I would love to see a streamlined, smoother bill pay system though. Spark is not registered with Chase Bank as a regular payee so when I do my payment, they are getting a live check through the mail. But we’ve had situations where they had not received the check for three weeks and I got a disconnect notice. I know it’s the postal system though. I’ve even had to re-issue a check. So getting registered with Chase as a payee would be really nice. Then once a customer is registered with Chase, payment is within a day. So it’s popular for businesses to ask for your bank information then they would automatically draft your account. I don’t want automatic drafting though. I had two companies hurt me that way so I always push payment instead. I’m old school in that.

With Spark Energy, you can automatically withdraw and pay from the website. But most middle-aged consumers who don’t pay their bills off of an app on their phone prefer to log-in to their bank’s website, click the bills they wanna pay, set the amount and send when they know that they have the funds on the account to do so. That way, they do not have to worry about over-billing, being overdrafted or getting caught off-guard by a surprise bill. That aside, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Suess. We appreciate your insight and we are looking into these payment features to help create an effortless customer experience. Spark Energy values your business and we look forward to a great relationship.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I liked the low rates of Spark Energy. I got a fixed-rate product from them since price stability is important for me. They're comparable with the other electricity and natural gas providers that I've used in the past. With autopay, there's the ease of payment and getting invoices or notices that one energy provider I used before didn't have. The interactions that I've had with the representatives of Spark have all been positive. I've been happy with the service and the rates that I've had so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your positive review and for choosing to join the Spark Energy family. We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying our rates and great customer service. Your feedback is definitely appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I like Spark Energy and I have been with them for a year now. The fixed range energy product was what they recommended to me and so far, I’m good with it. I’m not surprised or overwhelmed when I look at my phone bills. So, I’m content with it. Also, I was getting over with my light bills with my previous provider but with Spark, it wasn’t. I have recommended Spark Energy. In fact, I got my sister switched over, too.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review. We are happy to hear that you have recommended us. Each person that you recommend could earn you and your friend or family member a bill credit. If you'd like more information, please visit our website or contact customer service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought a house in 2007 and this was probably about four years after the regulation in Texas. I needed to get some electricity. At that time, Spark Energy was the easiest and the cheapest. I like the ease of signing up with them because I was buying my first house. I was a commissioned officer in the army in my early 20's and I didn't have to put down a deposit. They could also get the energy turned on when I wanted it. Right now, I'm paying four cents per kilowatt hour and at that time it was about 15 and I was pretty excited.

A couple of years ago I had to contact customer service. I was on a three-year contract and it expired. I tried to renew it online and the website was junky so I was not able to, and then I just forgot about it. Then I went off of the regular preset rate and went to whatever the floating rate was. My bill went up to 40% in one month because of that. I was pretty irritated because Spark wouldn’t do anything for me. I ended up getting a $50 service credit, but at that time I had paid around $800 more than I otherwise would have.

Also one time, they turned my electricity off. When I first signed up for it, my turn on date overlapped with the previous owner’s shut off date by three days. So I told them to start the service on a Friday. The previous owner told them to stop service on the following Monday, which is what they did. I was upset about that because it didn’t seem reasonable to me that I would have the electricity turned on on a Friday, and then turned right back off on Monday. But it seemed totally reasonable to Spark. Because the electricity market here is commoditized, there are so few opportunities for them to mess it up and the few opportunities they had, they seem to have gleefully taken. They have bad customer service, at least the one time I had to reach out, and also a crummy website.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Although the customer service interactions you mentioned happened some time ago, we do apologize and hope that your recent or future ones will be more pleasant. Should you have concerns or suggestions, please don't hesitate to email or call us. Thank you for taking the time to leave us honest feedback.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When my friends start talking about their bills, I tell them to contact Spark and see what they can do for them ‘cause they have been great for me. I went online several years ago to try and compare the electrical company that I had then. I was looking for a different rate. At that time, Spark had the lowest rate. They had a billing problem at the beginning though. They lost things and didn’t send bills. I had gathered that they were new and that they had a new billing system. But they got that worked out. The agents that I talked to are knowledgeable. In addition, you talk to the same ones over and over since they have a limited staff. They remember me, and I remember them. In closing, Spark is great. I have been so happy and satisfied with my electric bills, the lowest I’ve had my entire life. They have never been over $150 and those were in the middle of a hot summer.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your honest feedback. We are thankful to have loyal customers like you. If you ever have questions or concerns about your current plan or charges, please don't hesitate to call or email us.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am currently on Spark Energy's fixed-rate energy product. The cheapest possible way to get energy is important to us. Setting up an auto payment with Spark has been fine. I'd recommend the company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are overjoyed to hear that you would recommend us. If you do, ensure that you use your referral ID so you and your friend receive a $25 bill credit. If you'd like more information about the referral program, please visit our website. Thank you for your review.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Spark Energy was reasonable with their pricing. I am on a fixed rate energy product so I know what my bill is gonna be every month. I was with Verde before and they were all right but for some reason, they said that their price was gonna go up, and they referred me to Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your review and your business. We hope that our competitive fixed rates and excellent customer service keep you a happy and loyal customer. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns about your account.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was with Verde and they changed over to Spark. I used to have Stream Energy but Spark is a lot better. My bill has been a lot less than what it used to be, especially with my wife being a stay-home mom and having my grandson. It hasn’t been above $200. Everything’s been good so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback about your experience with Spark Energy so far. We are delighted to hear that your bills are lower and look forward to your contract renewal. You can view current rates by logging into your online account or by calling in to speak with customer service.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My friend used Spark Energy and she was saying that they are a really good company. So far, I have no problems with Spark and getting my payment processed has been really good. In some months, I noticed that my bill was lower and then other times, it was not.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback Mr. Dunn. It's very normal for your bill to fluctuate as your usage varies each season. We're thankful that your friend recommended us to you and hope that you pass on the recommendation to your friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

With Spark Energy, we would get $60 off if we crossed a thousand watts. We were saving a lot in the first year but not anymore. The bills are so high in the past few months. Still, I renewed my contract with them. I did it online and it was easy to navigate their website. Also, I spoke to their customer service and they were helpful.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. It looks like the current 24 month contract that you are on is actually a lower rate than what you would have had on the Sure Saver plan which gives the $60 credit. If you'd like to discuss which plan is more beneficial for you when it's time for renewal, please don't hesitate to call or email us. We're always here to help.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Spark Energy bought Green Energy, the company I was with. The price stability is really good and I like it, but my bills were lower when I was with Green Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback. I'd like to confirm that your contract from Green Energy (Verde Energy) was actually honored so it's the exact same rate. If you'd like to hear about other plan options with Spark Energy, please call our customer service for assistance.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I am on a green product with Spark, which is the same product I had with Verde before I switched. I believe you should give a little bit back. My bill is about $70 higher now though. Their bill also seems to be impossible to read. I can never really understand what my bill is. I always pay over and I don’t always have a credit. So I always call Spark first to make sure that my bill is paid up then they give me the telephone number for the office. They’ve always been helpful about it. I also like the fact that I can pay my bill online. Aside from paying all my bills, I also like their site for looking at all the readings.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Ms. Huckleberry. We can escalate your concerns about the invoice format to our senior management. I'd like to confirm that you can always see your up-to-date balance online by logging into your account. If you'd like to discuss your current plan options, please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or email.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been with Spark Energy for almost a year. I re-enrolled with them and it was all right. The people that I talked to asked me a bunch of questions and they were shy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Your positive review is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear that you re-enrolled with our company. Thank you for your feedback and your business.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My energy company before transitioned and transferred my account to Spark Energy. That happened within this year. My bills with Spark Energy are a little higher sometimes though. But I just pay my bill through the automated system on the phone.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate all the feedback that we receive, whether it's positive or negative. If you'd like to discuss your plan and your current rate options, please don't hesitate to call or email us.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

After my contract expired with Spark, they increased my electric bill to 3 times the amount. I called customer service multiple times to see if they would be willing to help us out. We were told each time that there was nothing that they would do to retain us as a customer. We have never missed or been late on a bill. We switched providers after 6 years, and they don't care. Don't waste your time with this company. This appears to be a very common story on how Spark treats their customers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Spark Energy was a good choice and it was a convenient transition from my previous provider. I had a couple of interactions with their team and everybody’s demeanor was very pleasant. Also, their rates were acceptable. The experience with Spark was seamless and there were no problems.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with our customer service representatives. We truly appreciate the opportunity to supply your energy needs. Thank you for the positive review.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Some guys came to my house and talked about Spark. I got them since they were cheaper than the other companies and everything was good when I dealt with their team.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a few details of your experience with Spark Energy. We appreciate your business and look forward to your continued loyalty.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I've been with Spark Energy for a long time now. When I signed up with them, it was because of the rate at the time. I got a fixed rate energy product and their overall billing process has been good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying services with us. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to many more years of continued business.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I've been using Spark Energy for four years now. There were door to door sales people walking around the neighborhood then. It was somebody else, not Spark Energy and Spark bought them. It was supposed to be GreenEnergy and it sold me a whole bunch of stuff that it was cheaper than what I had. And it turned out that it really wasn't. But I can't get out of it because I had a two-year contract. Nonetheless, the contract I had with them expired. I just left it alone. As a matter of fact, it has now turned into a rent house and I wouldn't have to pay it, but now I have to pay it again. The bill is not that big right now, for the house is empty.

I have a different policy on the house that I live in and it's a lot cheaper than Spark. Spark costs a bit more, double digit. For the most time, their customer service was good. There were a couple of times that it hasn't been, but part of it has been some of my tenants that I've had in the house. They wouldn't pay the bill and their reps have been very understanding that I've had to pick up the bill from my rent people. They've stuck me with a good bill. I've paid it. It's just that they've been behind on it. I had to come back in and catch it all up. When my renter left out of the trailer, they left about a month and a half behind that has cost me about $7,700 out of my pocket.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we are sorry to hear of your experiences with your tenants. If you'd like to discuss different plan options, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I received a letter from Verde stating that they were doing something different and they changed me over to Spark Energy. I wish I got a lower cost with them. I have gone from three bedrooms, two full baths, with five people living in it, and my light bill was no more than $170. Now there’s just two people in our house and it’s summertime, but my bill has never been over $200. But with Spark Energy, even on the contract, it’s always been over $200. It was $216 this month and $263 last month. I spoke with someone from Spark and they told me I was still on contract. I would call them again to know the expiration of my contract so that I could try to get on another plan or to see if they have any specials to offer.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback, Mr. Brown. We understand how a high bill in the summertime can be very concerning. Would you mind emailing us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we can see if you are on the best plan available? We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My experience with Spark Energy is the best, ever. I had seen their ad online a while back and I opted to use them because, first off, they are natural gas and secondly, they are cheaper than everybody else. Green energy is better for the environment, and since having the service, there has also been a big difference in my bill, in a good way. It saves me money, thus giving me more room to pay for other things like getting the house repaired as well as car repairs. Spark's auto-pay and the whole online experience are easy. And every time I call their customer service, they are always professional and helpful. So, I always recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Wow, we are thrilled to read your positive review! We love reading how our customers save money and even more when they mention taking advantage of our competitive renewable energy plans. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be your energy supplier.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I received a letter from Spark Energy saying my contract was about to expire. I called Spark and was told they no longer had my account. That it had been transferred to Verde Energy. I called Verde and was told they would not have my account until Sept. About a month later I got another letter from Spark saying my contract with Spark was about to expire on Aug. 2. I called Spark and was told that I did not have to do anything. That my rate would stay the same and my account would be transferred to Verde at my current rate. I called Verde in Sept. and was told that the account had been transferred as of Sept. 1 and my rate was the same as it had been with Spark. I got my bill for Aug. and my rate from Spark had doubled.

I called and they said my contract had ended on Aug. 2 and I had not renewed. I told them I had been told TWICE that I did not have to do anything because I was now a customer of Verde. Spark pulled a real fast one on me costing me more than $400. Spark refused to do anything saying that I had a contract with them and when I did not renew by the end date (even though I was being transferred to Verde in less than a month) and I had been told I did not have to do anything with Spark. This company gives false information to up rate and then blames you. I intend to take this matter up with the PA Public Utility Commission. Spark should not be allowed to do business in PA. I have read the posts on this site and see that they have done this to many other customers.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Spark Energy bought Verde, which was the company I had before, and the rates have gotten up. It caused my mind to shop around. If Spark lowers their rates, that would be better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We understand the importance of shopping around for the best rates. We'd definitely like to keep our customers happy and encourage you to contact us via phone or email so we can review your options with you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I was on a very beneficial plan with a previous provider when my account got transferred to Spark Energy. When my first bill was crazy high, I called Spark and asked them to reduce my billing rate down to the rate from the other provider, but they would not do it and I got stuck for almost a thousand dollars of the electric bill. In that conversation, we got me down close to the rate. The rep I spoke with was not kind. Spark had emailed me and she said that I had some time to respond to it but I didn’t, so I got to pay my bill. Because of that, I’m actively looking to move carriers right now.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience and are sad to hear that you are looking to switch to a new supplier. We'd like to review your account to review the calls and confirm that you are on the best plan. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Spark should offer more competitive rates. We stayed with them after it got transferred from Potentia thinking it would have the same value. However, it cost a lot more and the billing is all I’m getting out of it.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you don't feel that your rate is competitive. Would you mind emailing us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com with your account information so we can review what options you have? Thank you.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs