Call toll free
  • 1 star
Based on 100 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 6, 2018

573 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Got charged a $50 cancellation fee from Spark Energy, something that wasn't explain by the sales representative. When I called the company to find out why I was getting charged a $50 fee they were very rude and didn't want to waive (fee was never disclose to me).

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Jose, thank you for your feedback. We expect our third-party sales vendors to act in the most upright, professional and honest manner. Also, our Customer Care Agents are expected to treat customers with courtesy and respect. I have located your account and will review your concerns and follow up with you via the email address provided. Thank you again for submitting your feedback. We will be in touch soon. Spark Energy, Office of the President

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Some guys came to my door and explained about Spark fully. They were very nice and courteous. I like green energy and my son is working on his house down the valley, he’s going solar and electric. I've had no trouble with Spark so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are extremely delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience signing up with one of our agents. Thank you for also selecting on of our Green plans; your renewable energy plan is locked in until next year.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My last contract for electricity with TriEagle was near due so I looked on the internet and found Spark. They seemed to have the right price for me so I signed up with them. With Spark, I just pay a bill and the lights are always turned on.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Mr. Lownes, we are thrilled to hear you have joined the Spark Energy family. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com should you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your account, as we are happy to help!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

A rep from Spark came to the door and being locked in at a certain percentage was a good idea. Signing up with them was easy as well.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that you had a great experience with Spark Energy. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions about new plans or current charges.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I saw Spark Energy Gas and Electricity online. I liked their price so I decided to go with them. My experience with them has been good however, they were just the distributor so one half of the bill was good and the other half stinks.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying our services. As your electric supplier, Spark Energy can only provide a fixed rate on the supply portion; your utility, PPL, will calculate delivery charges for delivering the electricity to your home which is out of Spark Energy's control. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you'd like more details on our services or if you'd like to hear about new plans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

The first time I got a call from them, they were inquiring about my current gas bill with them, which is strange/a lie since I do not and have not ever had an account with them. They told me they may have been calling me then because the previous owner of my phone number had an account with them. I find this unlikely as I have had my phone number since 2001. Honest mistake? I had them put me on their do not call list. Well, I have since received calls from them on 3 other occasions, each time they have assured me they have put me on their do not call list. So they either are lying when they say they are putting me on the list or are ignoring the do not call list and calling me anyway.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Mr. Cohen, thank you for leaving this feedback. What you have detailed is not acceptable. Our third-party sales vendors are expected to act with integrity and honesty.

We will gladly add your number to our internal Do Not Call list. Please let this email serve as confirmation that your number has been added to our internal Do Not Call List to cease unwanted solicitation calls. Please be advised that this process should occur within *24-48 business hours.

*Please be aware that the National Do Not Call Registry allows telemarketers up to 31 days from the date of your request to cease calls.

Again, thank you for escalating this matter to our attention.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Every six months, I change electricity provider. I looked up providers that were available for our area and liked Spark Energy's price. It was the best. My money lasted further for the month because of the savings. I was able to get a little bit more groceries and the electric bill being lower helped out a lot. I'd tell a friend to use Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We are honored that you selected Spark Energy to be your electricity supplier and hope that you will think of us when it's time to select a new contract.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

A guy from Spark Energy was walking around door to door and said that I was going to save some money with them. However, PP&L is now at 74 cents per kilowatt-hour while Spark Energy is at 77 cents. Plus, I have to pay that $4.95 processing fee each month, which he didn’t tell me about. I'm more in the hole now than I was before. He was a nice guy though. He explained everything to me about how PP&L was going to go up. It did, but now PP&L has gone down as of December 1st. If things stay the way they are right now, I would either go back to PP&L or look for somebody else when my contract is up. I’m not dissatisfied with them, but I’m also not overwhelmed.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry that you weren't advised of the monthly fee by the sales agent. The plan details such as the rate and monthly fee are verified with each customer during the enrollment verification call with a third party service.

At times, we may be lower than the utility and there are times when the utility is lower. What we offer is a fixed rate so that our customers have can peace of mind knowing that their rate is fixed for a set amount of time. If you'd like to discuss other plan options, please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

My neighbor told me that Spark Energy Green was cheaper so I got their services and it turned out to be good so far. I have no problems with their team and I would recommend them to a friend.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We're excited to hear that you enrolled in one of our Green plans and that you would recommend us to others.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

We switched to Spark Energy in 2016. Their rates at that time were competitive with most of the other suppliers serving the greater Philadelphia area (7 cents per kwh). Our contract expired a couple of months ago and our rates absolutely exploded! It wasn't until the temperatures dipped that we noticed that they'd been cranked up to an unbelievable 19 cents per kwh!! We paid nearly $900 for six weeks of electric service dating back to the beginning of November! Be very careful. I wish we'd been notified. I guess they hope that people don't notice. This is neither a good nor sustainable business model! Nineteen cents per kwh?! We switched back to our previous provider last Friday.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience, Mr. Rankin. Prior to a fixed rate contract expiring, we do send a notice to remind our customers that it's time to renew. Although you have switched to a new supplier, we'd still like the chance to review your account to see if we can turn this experience around for you. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I had PPL previously and I looked at the rates of the other companies offered in the area. I tried Spark Energy and went to their website for enrollment. Then the bill is sent through PPL only.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to leave us a review. We hope that you will consider us when you a shopping for a new fixed rate contract for your electricity. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us regarding our plans.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Spark Energy reps knocked on my door and showed me a rate that was supposed to be lower but my last bill with them was high. With Spark, my bill is $230 but I never went above $180 with PPL.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you aren't satisfied with your current plan. Our records indicate that your fixed rate is less than the standard rate that PPL is offering. If you'd like to discuss other options or additional concerns, please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Prior to Spark, I got screwed with variable rate. My term ran out but the company didn’t notify me and they raised my rates real gradually. It was like how you boil a frog without him knowing that the water’s getting hot until I got a bill that was so large that I couldn’t believe it. I was paying double what I signed up for. I went back and realized it began as soon as the term ran out. I immediately went back to PPL and then I found a cheaper one after that. With Spark, I liked the price and the service. I had a six months deal for the fixed rate energy product but once you have them, you can’t run with the introductory rate. After six months, the introductory rate plan ran out and the price increased so I had to leave.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your positive review. We are sorry to hear of your experience prior to Spark Energy and hope that you will consider us again in the future. We would love to have you back as a customer.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I was shopping online for rates and decided to go with Spark Energy. I've been with them for 6 months and the set-up process was smooth. I’m going to be interacting with them shortly since my contract runs out in two weeks. If they could give me the same rate or close, I would stay with them. But if not, then I’ll move on to the next one. The people who answer the phone and make decisions whether a customer stays or not, need to be customer-oriented and have the flexibility to keep a customer.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. We try our best to keep our prices at a competitive price point; however, market conditions can contribute to slight increases. Please note that our customer service representatives cannot edit any of the plans but can offer alternative incentives.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

With Spark Energy my bills are higher than my usual carrier. I tried to get rid of them. Told me 100 dollar fee if I cancelled...scammers. Sale person lied to me. My husband had just passed away when they came knocking my door. I tried to tell her this was a bad time. She wouldn't shut up. So I signed just to get rid of her...liars! Bantering a recent widow and a senior in deep grief. Do not sign with this company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your husband. We apologize for your experience with the agent that visited your home. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with what specific information the agent lied about and your account information so we may assist?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I was searching for the lowest price and Spark had a better rate than other electricity companies. Spark is fine and I'm satisfied with my experience.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback and we are happy to hear that you had no issues.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Since I’m on the OnTrack program, there are only two companies that PPL will deal with and Spark Energy was our electricity generator through them. The service was great and the bill was a very reasonable rate. But every so many months, you have to pick a new generator however long your contract is and my contract with Spark has then ran out so I picked a new generator.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that the service was great and hope that you reconsider us when you current contract expires.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I’ve been with Spark for at least half a year or more. They have a better price than what I was getting with the supplier that I had so I decided to go with them. The application process was very easy. The price is what I look at mostly. It's a big factor for me. And, I want the fixed price and not the variable rate. I called Spark and said that I liked their rate and would like to be a customer of theirs. So far, it's been a good experience.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with Spark Energy and hope that you continue to renew your fixed rate contract with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you would like to discuss rates or other account concerns.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I like Spark Energy's price and I enjoy having electricity. It’s on, it works and it’s pretty solid. I don’t really notice anything wrong so that means it’s doing a good job.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback about your experience with Spark Energy. We are always happy to hear that our customers are enjoying our services.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

This area is not so hot and the air-conditioner is not really turned on most of the time. I have a furnace and use energy only during the winter time. Spark Energy looked competitive to me in the beginning. I liked the terms and the price is important. It can help save money. I liked a term based on one year to be stable because I can predict the utility bill of every month. When I started, I made a couple of phone calls to Spark Energy because something wasn’t clear about the statement. The mechanism that they’re doing was different from another state where I came from because I paid the bill to PECO. PECO is the carrier and Spark Energy is the supplier. It’s two bills together. Early this year, my contract with Spark just ended and only then did I notice that my bill went up. They increased the price by 20%, so I switched.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are disappointed to see that you are not completely satisfied with your services with Spark. Upon review, I noticed that you are still active with Spark Energy with a account and fixed rate that began in April 2017. We'd like to discuss your concerns further; can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My husband found Spark on the internet. It was one of the cheapest ones so we decided to use it. Our bill has been definitely lower. Usually my bill comes out to be more than $120. But with them it's been only $90-something so it’s a big difference. Also I’ve spoken with their rep and he was really good at what he did. They’ve treated me good. Everything is good so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Spark Energy. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to leave us feedback.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My son-in-law signed me up with Spark since he said it was the best one at the time. Their price was better and they're good compared to other companies. I would recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed service with Spark Energy and that your son-in-law recommended us. We hope to keep you as our loyal customer for many years to come.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Spark Energy is a good company. They have better rates and good customer service. I had an easy transition from regular PECO.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your kind words and that you have selected Spark Energy to be your electric supplier. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us online or over the phone if you have any suggestions or concerns.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I signed up with Spark Energy in January of 2017 to get a discounted electricity generation/transmission rate in Pennsylvania. I didn't notice right away (because of budget billing), but in July they switched my rate from $0.0629/kWh to $0.15/kWh! They claim that once the contract expires they have to buy on the spot electricity market, which is much more expensive. If they have a reasonable number of customers they should still be able to purchase power at reasonable rates. Scammers, and I've switched to another provider.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, John. It is true that when a fixed rate contract expires, we purchase the energy on the spot because at any point after the contract, the customer may switch away. Our Office of the President has received your email and is currently reviewing your account to provide you a resolution.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We have such a high bill. I looked for cheaper electricity on the internet and I saw Spark Energy. Their reps usually answer all my questions and get me taken care of. I've had a very good experience with them and I'm satisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have had such a great experience from our rates to our friendly customer service representatives. Please consider us in the future when you are in the market for a new supplier.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I signed up for a plan they call the "Spark Flex" plan to provide natural gas supply to my home. The specific ad said the plan is a month to month plan (meaning no long term commitment) with a price of $.29 per therm. It does not say anywhere except in very fine print that the price is an introductory price for 2 months. As bad as that is, like the other negative reviews here, once the "introductory period" was done, the price per therm went to a level that is almost triple or quadruple the spot rate for my local utility (BGE).

I find the advertising to be highly deceptive, and beyond that, I find their strategy of charging outrageously high rates to be verging on abusive. Luckily, I have figured this out within 9 months, and figure I have been ripped off for about $300-$400. I plan to contact the office of the president, but have little hope of any resolution. At that point, I plan to reach out to the regulatory authority, and while I will most likely not get my money back, I can hope to at least make the company be truthful in its marketing.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review, Mr. Friedman. We apologize that your experience was not a positive one. Our Office of the President has thoroughly reviewed and addressed your concerns. We wish you well in the energy market.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

HORRIBLE customer service! Even though I was getting $60 credit by using more than 1000 kw my bill still came out higher than any other provider I have ever had... Erroneous charges that you have never seen before that they try to pin on the distributor by saying they are "breaking down all their charges so you will know what you are paying for". Bologna! Distributor charges are the same, no matter what electric provider you use and their normal amount is also being billed! I also got 3 x friends to sign up and was promised friend referral bonuses they never lived up to! My friends were also supposed to get a bonus for signing up under me and they never got theirs either! I would not recommend this company to anyone; I have NEVER had such an experience with an electric provider before! I have filed two complaints with the Public Utility Commission regarding them and have NEVER filed a complaint in the past.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience. Our Regulatory department has received your complaint and will respond accordingly. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was on the Price Protect 6 plan, paying 0.064 kWh and then switched without my consent to Residential Evergreen paying 0.211 kWh. Customer service only offered $75 bill credit. I was overcharged $435.66. Totally unacceptable. Request for the full credit on my account.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review, Mr. Byrd. Prior to the fixed rate contract expiring, we send a notice and for Texas customers, the notice includes the estimated month-to-month rate (Evergreen plan) that the account will roll onto if a new fixed rate is not chosen. We'd like the chance to review your account and provide additional assistance. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Spark Energy had a low introductory rate for a while and that was favorable. It had gone up but it was still a little lower than what my utility company charges so it was okay. If the rates are high and someone’s offering a lower deal for a certain period, then I would probably go with the lower price at least during the summer months when we use a lot of electricity. Spark Energy is a good service and I’d recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback and would also like to encourage you to contact our customer service department so we ensure you are aware of all your rate options.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I did an internet search for the different providers in my area and Spark Energy had better rates than most and they had good reviews. Price stability was important for me for a period of time that it was given. The Spark team was good upon my initial sign up. There could be a difference in service somewhere down the road but Spark energy is pretty equal to our previous provider as of now. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review detailing your experience with Spark Energy. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns about plans or charges.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information

TX
www.sparkenergy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use