Call toll free
3.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

741 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 25, 2019

Verde Energy said that if I wanted to continue with the energy supplier, they would transfer me to Spark Energy. And I got transferred. I have been getting rebate checks from Verde Energy, so I was used to that. And with Spark Energy, I didn’t qualify. But their rep said that he had put in for me to get adjusted checks again and I had never got adjusted checks from Spark Energy. Also, there's a difference with the letters I get from Spark and Verde. If I got mail from Verde, it would be telling me that they were my energy supplier. I was getting rebate checks, and then they would still be my energy supplier. Having to pay for energy supplier doesn’t bother me because they're still considerably low. I've tried to really watch how I use my electricity.

I love the electricity that I get from Spark Energy. Summer’s coming and I wanna get more than one fan, and I know I won't boost up my bill a whole lot. In my apartment, I feel cold sometimes at daytime, but at night, if I'm wrapped up, I'm warm. But I'm pleased with them trying to explain to me about the kilowatt-hours. Since I moved from apartment to apartment, I can compare a difference. My electricity is flowing the way I would like it. It's just that I don't have some type of heat I would like. I will recommend Spark and I'm gonna stay with them. I enjoy my electricity every day.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate that you took the time out to leave us a review and look forward to continued service.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We had Spark when we were at our other house and then we moved here about eight months ago. The day I moved, I had them leave the power on at the old place for one more day, and that way we had a good transition. I had plenty of time to do the setting up and everything was good. We were offered a lower rate over a longer period, and the rate was the same when we moved. The amount on our electric bill has been fairly consistent and it has been cheaper moving over here. The only thing we have issues with is our gas. However, our rate is about to go up and we need to set it again. Still, Spark has great rates and great customer service too. There's not a bunch of wait-on-the-phone whenever I wanna talk to somebody and they're very easy to deal with.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that you decided to keep us when you moved to your new home. It's unfortunate that gas is not deregulated in Texas or we would definitely love to have you as a customer for both electric and gas. Thank you for your review and don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need assistance with renewing your contract.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We checked Spark Energy and they seemed to be reputable. They had a better rate, too. I’ve checked from one year to the next to see if there was a difference and there was a slight difference in 2018 because it was a little colder. 2016 and 2017 weren’t too bad. This year, being as cold as it is, it probably cost us a bit more, but it wouldn’t cost us more with anybody else. Spark Energy has not changed its price at all and it has been the same for the last several years.

The only thing is they sent us a Nest thermostat. It controls the heat in the air conditioning, except it controls it at its own terms and we have no control over it. We can leave the house and come home, and the thermostat will be blasting at 77 degrees in the heat. In the summertime, we’ve left and come home, and I had it set for 76, 77, 87, and 88. I primarily put the air out to get the humidity out of the house and the temperature rose, but it wasn't big a deal. So, we come home and it’s down to 71 or 70. It changes its settings by itself.

We didn’t have a smartphone when it was installed and we’ve never connected it to a smartphone since my wife got one about six months ago. It is a little complicating and it doesn’t make sense if the thermostat should run itself and we should have no control over it. We can change it, but we have to be here to change it. If I was gone for two days and it sets itself for 77 degrees, it would be blasting the heat off for two days. Even when I’m home, it changes. I get up in the morning and it is 70 degrees, although I want it at 72. In order to get it to come back up, I have to turn it up to 73 and it will come up, then I turn it back to 72. The billing comes through like it is supposed to and they take the money out of the bank like they are supposed to, and it hasn’t been as expensive except this year. The weather affects the usage and this year, we’ve had an extremely heavier usage, but next year could be a lot better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with Spark Energy. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Nest thermostat but hope that you are able to troubleshoot and correct the settings to lower your usage. We appreciate your business!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was a Verde Energy customer and then Spark bought them. I just grandfathered in and I'm on the Green 24. There was more use of solar power in their product line so I was interested. Also, price hasn’t changed too much in comparison to Verde Energy so it’s been good. I’m a heavy user, up at 3,000 kilowatt hours, so $300 a month is typical with all the air conditioners.

I would love to see a streamlined, smoother bill pay system though. Spark is not registered with Chase Bank as a regular payee so when I do my payment, they are getting a live check through the mail. But we’ve had situations where they had not received the check for three weeks and I got a disconnect notice. I know it’s the postal system though. I’ve even had to re-issue a check. So getting registered with Chase as a payee would be really nice. Then once a customer is registered with Chase, payment is within a day. So it’s popular for businesses to ask for your bank information then they would automatically draft your account. I don’t want automatic drafting though. I had two companies hurt me that way so I always push payment instead. I’m old school in that.

With Spark Energy, you can automatically withdraw and pay from the website. But most middle-aged consumers who don’t pay their bills off of an app on their phone prefer to log-in to their bank’s website, click the bills they wanna pay, set the amount and send when they know that they have the funds on the account to do so. That way, they do not have to worry about over-billing, being overdrafted or getting caught off-guard by a surprise bill. That aside, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Suess. We appreciate your insight and we are looking into these payment features to help create an effortless customer experience. Spark Energy values your business and we look forward to a great relationship.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When my friends start talking about their bills, I tell them to contact Spark and see what they can do for them ‘cause they have been great for me. I went online several years ago to try and compare the electrical company that I had then. I was looking for a different rate. At that time, Spark had the lowest rate. They had a billing problem at the beginning though. They lost things and didn’t send bills. I had gathered that they were new and that they had a new billing system. But they got that worked out. The agents that I talked to are knowledgeable. In addition, you talk to the same ones over and over since they have a limited staff. They remember me, and I remember them. In closing, Spark is great. I have been so happy and satisfied with my electric bills, the lowest I’ve had my entire life. They have never been over $150 and those were in the middle of a hot summer.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your honest feedback. We are thankful to have loyal customers like you. If you ever have questions or concerns about your current plan or charges, please don't hesitate to call or email us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been a customer for several years! The rates are very fair with lots of choices! Best company that I could find. I've looked at almost all the various suppliers and year after year they are more than competitive. I've signed up for two more years!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you've been a loyal customer for several years and that you decided to renew for 2 more. We truly appreciate your patronage.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 25, 2019

My 80 year old mother failed to review or never received a rate renewal notice from Spark Energy. Contract expired 03/07/2019. Spark doubled her rate from 9 cents to 18 cents a kilowatt hour. When I called to complain their response was, "We can renew for a year at 8.6 cents and get a $ 75.00 dollar gift card in 6 to 8 weeks." The Illinois Commerce Commission who I filed a complaint with is contacting them, but said that there is not much they can do and hope that we get some kind of refund.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. Our Regulatory team has received the complaint and will respond accordingly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 24, 2019

Do NOT switch to Spark Energy. I signed a contract with Spark Energy for 18 months at .0178 per therm and called to cancel my contract two months before that rate lock ended. I was told that if I cancelled I would have to pay an early termination fee, which was costly. I then waited a month before the contract ended in attempt to avoid the variable rate hike and was told I could cancel and would start back with PSEG supplying my electricity after the contract ended. Spark Energy then moved me to a variable rate of .16 per therm even though I cancelled at the time of the contract. SO I couldn't cancel early to avoid paying the variable rate hike and I couldn't cancel at the end of my contract to avoid the rate hike.

Either way they will hike your rate to whatever they want for at least two months even after your contract ends or they will charge you an early termination fee for trying to avoid the rate hike. It isn't even about the loss of money as it is about the principle of deceptive business practices. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for the negative experience you had. We can assure you that although we did not want to lose your business, it was never our intention to keep your service active on a variable rate. Please be aware that the cancellations are completed by your utility and Spark has no control of the date they determine your service will be switched. We would still like the opportunity to review your account to see if there was anything we could have done differently and to assist you - can you please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 19, 2019

Started off good with this company, low bills, okay customer service, but as my contract is coming to an end, the price has tripled! I started paying 65 a month for a small apartment with no washer or dryer and I don't bake and I shower with cold water, I have the temperature at around 74 degrees and under the same circumstance I'm paying $188 now! Why in the world?! My friends with HOUSES and a LAUNDRY ROOM pay less than I do! This company is a joke, I don't recommend it. I cant wait wait for my contract to end.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We'd be happy to review your account and discuss your bills along with what options you have. Please email us.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I am very very concerned. My Mother was visited by a salesperson at her door. She is elderly and has many illnesses. She often sits in her patio watching people go by and is eager to conversate with folks. The salesman came to her with his pitch. She indicated to me afterward that a nice man approached her and said her PGE bill can only be 42.00 per month if she signed up with Spark Energy. Of course she jumped on that as she is on a very small income of only $800 per month.

She showed me her bill and was very confused. We called and they agreed to waive the cancellation fee which is $100!!!! WTF!?! They still are making her pay the 42.00 although she canceled. Terrible to take advantage of the elderly. Run far away from this company. Why the HELL would she pay an additional 42.00 when she already pays 20.00 to PGE?!?! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED - train your people to make 100% sure folks understand what they are signing up for. I AM VERY PISSED OFF!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for you and your mother's experience and any misunderstanding regarding the service. We'd like the chance to review the account and further discuss with you and your mother. Can you please email us? Thank you.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs