toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value your feedback and your business. We understand that every dollar counts and we are delighted that we are able to help you save each month.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I had UI for years and they changed the peak and off-peak rates to some fixed plan, and I wasn't happy with that and so I thought of exploring other options. I went to Spark Energy and their representatives were really helpful. They walked through the best option for me based on my past usage and they offered me a rate. They notified UI and I really didn't have to do anything. They sent me a letter confirming everything had been switched over and taken care of. Their service has been really seamless. I like having the one fixed amount per kilowatt-hour, and it's saving me some money. Overall, it's been a positive experience. I hope the rate stays what it is and doesn't go up after the year.

About 3 years ago the salespeople from Spark Energy knocked on my door and promised a good deal with saving money on gas. I decided to give it a try. They explained to me that there is a one year contract, and there is a penalty if I decide to leave early. What they didn't explain is what is going to happen if I stay after the contract is over. I will explain it for them just in case if anyone is considering to become Spark Energy's customer.

After a year of comparatively OK prices, your rate will skyrocket. You will be paying 3 times more than you would pay to your local gas company (Spark was charging me $1.20/BTU, and People's Gas had rate of $0.39/BTU at the same time). They claim they sent you a letter, but they send it USPS first class, and that is not always delivered, especially if you move. I realized that when examining a hefty $600+ bill. The bill you receive will be from your local gas company, so you won't realize you are paying arm and leg to Spark immediately; you have to read the the bill thoroughly. And then do the math and poll the internet for competitive rates.

Then you call them, and they will be literally laughing at you saying that they sent you a letter, and that yes, the rate is for people who didn't call after the contract expired. But they have a special rate for you, month-to-month. It is still about 25% more expensive than the one from your local company, but definitely cheaper that you are currently paying.

You want to leave Spark? Sorry to hear that. It takes 45 days to transfer your account back to your local company. I don't really understand why in our electronic way is it taking that long, except for one word - greed. They want you to keep paying their price for as long as they possibly can keep you. What? Are you going to sue them? You will spend more on attorney than you lost with Spark - they laugh at you. Well, someone is already is doing that, and I hope, more is coming. So my advice for potential Spark Energy customers is STAY AWAY! I have lost about $1,000 (yes: one thousand Dollars) with Spark Energy comparing to my local company's rates, and hope you won't make the mistake I have made.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We apologize for your negative experience. We'd definitely like to take a look at your account so we can assist you and bring you to a satisfied resolution. Can you please our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: March 9, 2017

My gas and electric bill have never ever being high until Spark Energy came into my house. Knocking on my door offering a better rate and promising to lower my (at that month 75.00) bill. First two months January and February 150.89 and 152.01... This is not savings at any way. It is called doubling your bill. I want out NOW!!! And I will not pay your 100.00 penalty. I want an answer or I will go to NBC consumers complaint.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying services with us. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and hope to keep your business for years to come.

Original review: March 6, 2017

I went with Spark Energy because they had a lower price for us at the time being. Everything has been satisfactory, so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with Spark Energy. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to keep servicing you for many years to come.

Original review: March 5, 2017

Eversource is planning to put towers in our town and we had a town-wide thing to divest from them as much as we could. We went online to the rate site where we could look at all the different providers and suppliers and chose Spark Energy with a fixed rate energy product. The transition has been seamless.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your review, Mr. Bittle. We'd like the chance to discuss your account with you; can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: March 4, 2017

Had a man come to my house about 3 months ago offering Spark as my gas supplier saying he could give me a price of 0.39 cents per ccf. I open my bill to see they are charging me 1.39 this month for a whopping $220 gas bill that is usually around 70-90 before I took the offer. Will most definitely be canceling them for sure and will make sure everyone I know knows about my experience with them so they can't scam any of them like they did to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are sorry to hear that you didn't find our services beneficial. When switching to an alternative supplier, your new supplier takes over the supply portion of the bill while your utility is still in charge of delivering the energy to you. Since the utility still delivers the energy, you will continue to receive delivery charges, taxes and fees from them. While the charges are separated, they are the same services you were paying prior to switching to Spark Energy so you aren't paying two bills. Also, your account already appears terminated as of February 13th. If you have further questions or concerns, please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I want to cancel the service of Spark because I'm paying two bills, my Nicor gas bill and Spark. That's too much. I didn't think I'm supposed to be paying them. I was told that they would just be our carrier and we wouldn't have fee or anything. The only difference being with Spark that I noticed in my service is that my bill went up because we're paying them. That's something that we can't afford to do. I'm very dissatisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your positive review. Finding a supplier to best fit your needs is not always an easy task. We appreciate the opportunity you have given us to be your trusted energy supplier.

Original review: March 3, 2017

It was good working with Spark Energy. It lowered my monthly bills. Also, their customer service was knowledgeable.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying services with us. We appreciate your kind words and hope to that we can continue many years of business with you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Spark Energy let me sign up with them sixty days before my previous company expired. It was very easy, and their team was good and flexible. I haven't had to call them since and noticed having lower monthly bills.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you. We can understand how important savings and low cost are and we are happy that you have found that in Spark Energy. We appreciate your patronage.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I checked on the internet, saw three providers, and Spark was on top. Lower price was important to me. I used the local gas provider before and Spark Energy's price is better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with your services from Spark Energy. We'd like to see if we can turn your negative experience into a positive one; please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we may assist you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I recently fell for the sales pitch that Spark Gas would save me money on gas because I would just pay PG&E for delivery and Spark a per therm "lower" rate. I still paid PG&E but got a rebate for a portion of the per therm gas. The rate I paid to Spark was more than double the rebate plus the additional "service charge." When I went to cancel, they charge a $100 cancellation fee. I am very UNHAPPY.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

It sounds like you knew exactly what you needed in a supplier and we are happy to hear that you chose one of our Green Products. We appreciate your patronage and hope that you are a Spark Energy customer for many years to come. Thank you for being one of our loyal and valued customers.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I've been with Spark Energy for two years. I liked their price. The green energy product was the best one that fit me at the time because I'll know how much electricity I'll be using. The team members at Spark were very respectful, well-spoken, and explained everything down to the finest detail. Different people come to check in. They usually just come to the neighborhood and ring the bells.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have had a good experience so far. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions and we hope that you choose to stay with us.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Spark Energy's rates were good and we haven't had problems with them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are sorry to hear about your experience and that our services didn't work out for you. Although the normal process for cancellation can take up to 2 billing cycles, depending on the cancellation date determined by your utility, it seems that your cancellation has already been processed by the utility as of February 28th. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com if you have any additional concerns you'd like for us to address.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I was taken advantage of by this company. BE WARNED! Spark Electricity and your Local Distribution Utility will rip you off and you will have no recourse. Spark has found a legal way of screwing you out of your hard-earned cash! The representative knocked on our door in July of 2016. They spoke to my wife, promising her a lower bill on her natural gas utility; got her to sign a one year contract with a $100 early termination fee; never mentioned that our current provider would be charging us a delivery fee.

First two bills looked good, but the next bill was outrageous; the delivery fee alone cost more than the total on our old bill. Spark Energy will just tell you that PG&E (or your local distribution utility) is the one that is responsible for the delivery fee. This is great! Your local energy distribution utility gets to charge you insane gas delivery fees because you are not their customer and Spark gets to collect your $100 early termination fee when you realize you are better off paying the fee to get out of the pseudo-fraudulent contract.

With our bill now double what it used to be, we are canceling Spark and paying the $100 early termination fee. Now Spark & PG&E are telling us that even though we cancelled, we will still possibly have Spark and PG&E ripping us off for the next couple of months. PG&E confirmed on the phone that they are working together! The Spark contract states: "Spark Energy has been approved by your Local Distribution Utility to offer and supply natural gas to you." DO NOT SIGN UP. You will have no recourse except to post a negative comment on BBB or Yelp like the hundreds of others that were scammed. The contract includes a class action waiver, protecting them from any class action lawsuit.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing us to be your supplier. We hope we can continue servicing you for many years to come. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I was using a website where I could look up different rates, and went with Spark for the price combined with whether or not it was fixed. We got electric heat and the bills have been reasonable.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing how our customers feel so that we can understand every customer's needs. Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I was looking at retail electricity providers on a website which was affiliated with Eversource and learned about Spark Energy. I liked their price and being able to lock in the price for a fixed term without any penalty, which was good. The service is transparent because I get a bill from Eversource that has their transmission charge and the generation charge from Spark. I had another company before Spark where I had a very low introductory rate for a year, but the next year, it was going up to a rate that wasn't competitive.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We appreciate the opportunity that you have given Spark Energy to be your supplier. Thank you for taking the time to share your customer experience with us and we look forward to continuing a happy business relationship with you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Somebody got in contact with me about Spark and I decided to try it. The bill went lower than what it was and is better than what I was in.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We know that choosing a supplier is not always the easiest task but we are happy that you have given Spark Energy the opportunity. We appreciate your feedback and hope to continue providing you service.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

I like the rate of Spark Energy and my experience with them has been fine. I used another provider in the past and since using Spark, I don't notice a difference, which is how I want it. I selected their fixed rate energy product as price stability is important to me.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and value your business. If you have any questions about your service or options, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

The village of Bradley, Illinois, where I live, decided that they were gonna take all the homeowners and put it in to some locked in energy thing. It seemed in the last five years that I've opted to be with them, my rates were just off through the roof. When I bought my house, the water, the sewer, and the garbage was all put into one bill at the village for $25 a month. Now, the water is $45 a month, the trash is $18 a month, and the sewer is $15 a month, so that’s all up to $100. I opted out of that and when Spark called, I chose them.

I'm a totally disabled woman so I needed to keep the price down with my utility bills. We need to have it where it's manageable for me. When I saw the electric bill this time with Spark, it was not that bad. It's better than getting a $250 electric bill from ComEd. And as long as the rates stay down, it's feasible for me to live in my own home. I don’t have to think about going to an assisted living place and being told what I could and couldn’t do at the place. I would recommend anybody to Spark.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We apologize for the payment issues you are experiencing. We can assure you that this was not intentional as we want our all customers to have a effortless experience. We'd like to assist with locating your payment and ask that you provide your proof of payment to our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to assisting.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Spark Energy cannot resolve billing issues. I have used online bill pay through my bank for a couple of years now with this company. I was informed that no payment had been received for the month of December 2016. My bank reported the payment as received. When I finally had my bank supply records of this payment, still no correction was made. I receive at least 3 call from their collection department weekly (robo-calls). I have spent hours on the phone with Spark customer service on many occasions to no avail. My bills are still showing an amount owed. This company cannot solve issues for its customers. I'm wondering if they are doing this to other customers as well to generate more income. I will not pay the amount again, and I will use every review site to let consumers know not to use this company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your positive feedback and for choosing to join the Spark Energy family. We appreciate the opportunity to service your electricity needs and look forward to many years of continued business.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My contract was coming up for renewal at the end of last year for an energy supplier. After I did a price comparison, I switched to Spark Energy and I was able to do it easily. Their service is very good and I'm pleased with it.

Resolution response: Feb. 27, 2017

The regulatory department of the company is working on it.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your recent experience and any inconveniences you have endured. Our regulatory department is working on resolving your billing errors.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Worst experience one can ever have. I signed the contract with them at a rate of $0.399/ccf for a year and within 3 months, I got a bill with a rate of $1.399/ccf.

When I called them, they told me that "Your contract term is defined as 1 month and that is why you are being charged with the current rate." I sent them the documentation showing that I signed up for a year but they haven't replied to me yet. I called them again and they told me that my account doesn't exists. A fraudster company with pathetic customer care, will cancel the services immediately.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your positive feedback, Ms. Brunjes. We hope that we can continue a long-standing business relationship with you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I've used Spark in the past. I've noticed that when I was going off of contract, I got a notification from them. I didn’t have that with the previous supplier and I really appreciated that because then I could reassess what I was doing. Also, there was somebody that I could speak to when I called the phone numbers for the company. These people seemed knowledgeable and I was favorably disposed to them. Other energy providers don’t give access to individuals at all.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Hollander. We can assure you that we are not a scam. Please feel free to reach out to our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com if you have an account issue you'd like for us to investigate.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

This company exists to trick gullible consumers (vulnerable, trusting old people!) into giving them money. I sincerely hope word gets out that this company is a scam. Shame on anyone who works for them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are always happy to hear that our customers are enjoying lower rates. We are honored that you have selected us as a supplier and we look forward to many years of continued service.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Spark Energy had lower and better rates than other providers.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We understand how important savings and competitive rates are and we are happy that you have found that in Spark Energy. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you and thank you for your positive feedback.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I looked through a resource supplier list and got Spark Energy. Compared to other companies, Spark seemed the best with their terms and the rates. Spark is comparable or better than other providers I used in the past.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We apologize that you and your father's experience with Spark Energy has been less than positive. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your father's account information so we may investigate?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I was reviewing my elderly father's electric account due to high electric bills. I noticed that he had "Spark Energy" as an energy supplier. They convinced him they would lower his rates, and they did... For the first few months, but then they MORE THAN TRIPLED the regular supply cost FOR YEARS, adding to thousands of extra dollars!!! When I confronted them to ask why they were charging almost 18 cents a kwh when con-edison themselves were only charging about 5 cents! They said "But your contract is expired, so we could charge what we want!" They said "It was written in the fine print of the contract!!!" STAY FAR AWAY FROM THESE THIEVES!!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We are delighted to hear that we are able to provide you price stability with our competitive fixed energy rates. We truly appreciate you for being one of our valued customers and hope that you are a Spark Energy customer for years to come. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

My contract with my last electric supplier was ending. I looked at different prices online through Eversource. Price stability is important for me, and Spark was one of the better-priced ones.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

We appreciate your feedback and I apologize that your experience with Spark Energy hasn’t been as pleasant as we had hoped. A contract expiration notice is mailed out 30 to 45 days prior to the contract expiring notifying you that your contract is about to end. A representative from our Office of the President has reached out to you and will be completing an account investigation and provide you with a possible resolution. We look forward to addressing your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Customer Service Rep told me that the reason my bill went from $144 (already outrageous) to $250 was because the rate has gone up from $.45/therm to $1.19/therm. When asked why such a large rate increase, their response was "That's the variable rate at this time." Are you kidding me? Current market price for January 2017 (according to Peoples Gas) is $0.3904/therm, which I've chosen to revert back to and completely remove Spark Energy from my life. I will be canceling this service immediately as it's clear to me that there is no affordability or customer loyalty associated with Spark Energy. I welcome any sort of proposed resolution that may be presented by the "Office of the President".

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your honest feedback, Mr. Turner. We are sorry to hear that you didn't find value in the Dining Dollars that were sent. One of our associates in the Office of the President will be researching your account and reaching out to you via email regarding your experience.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

When People's Energy began offering different service providers, I signed up for Spark in 2014 and the bills were lowered for about seven months. Then they sent a huge bill of nearly $1,500 saying they had miscalculated something wrong and that I needed to pay. Horrible. I did pay it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. They offered one of those ridiculous online "Entertainment Coupon Books (2 for 1 subs at Quiznos!") saying that it represented a whopping $500 in savings. I switched from Spark as a provider last fall and now they claim that I owe them $200+ dollars that wasn't paid to them through the last People's Energy payment. I didn't use any of those Entertainment coupons, maybe I can pay them with those. I would hesitate to call them scammers but they're far from on the up and up in my dealings.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: March 5, 2017

Spark reached out to me following my review. My termination fee was waived and I was given a gift card for my trouble. In summary, my concerns were resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you have had such a negative experience. An associate from the Office of the President will be reaching out to you via email shortly so that we can possibly turn this into a positive experience.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

In a word, my experience with Spark Energy was treacherous. It all started when very aggressive Spark Energy canvassers essentially harassed my girlfriend and I into talking with them, and showing them our bill. The Spark Energy canvassers claimed we would be charged a flat rate for the gas they provided, instead of the varying rate charged by our old supplier, People’s Gas. They kept emphasizing their ability to supply “clean energy” and lower total per therm charges. Lastly, they promised we could cancel with no charges.

As we were very suspicious, we asked several questions. The employees did clarify for us that our old provider would still charge for delivery of the gas to our apartment. However, the “no cancellation fee” line tuned out to be a lie. Upon reading closer, we realized after the first couple billing cycles that our contract carried a $100 early termination fee. The problem is it took over two months to receive a bill, therefore the first billing cycle had passed.

Their claim that their product would save us substantial money was misleading. Our bills were just about the same as they always were, if not more expensive. Fortunately, our usage was always pretty low so any per therm charges didn’t make a huge difference. Due to the early termination fee, we just stuck with Spark as our bills were reasonable. Our real problem with Spark came with our move. We paid all of our utilities and closed all accounts.

Then several months later we get a notice from Spark claiming we still owe them $$$ and threatening to hand our bill over to collection. So basically they claim we still owed them a product fee from our last month and their website link for payment was broken. The double billing, broke link, and shady business practices lead me to write this review. Spark Energy’s sales tactics are aggressive and not honest, their double billing is very inconvenient. You will still have to pay your previous energy supplier for energy delivery + Spark for product. Don’t go with Spark!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Profile