3.05/5
Based on 113 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

Read More Read More
Last updated: May 3, 2018

621 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 3, 2018

My father an older single man recently transferred his gas bill into his name as this is a new process for him. He is also on medication for epilepsy and mentally struggles with comprehending new processes. His home was approached by several "suppliers" as he disregarded all due to his wishes to only go through Peoples Gas. We never heard of Spark until we were advised by Peoples Gas they were on my dad's account as the supplier as their charges were more than his actual gas usage. When I contacted Spark they advised they would conduct an investigation into how my dad was signed up as he did not remember speaking to Spark only Peoples Gas. I was then advised there was a recording of my dad authorizing enrollment Spark.

The recording consist of a woman asking my dad all yes or no questions about him being the account holder for the gas utility. At one point he attempted to cut in to ask a question as he was cut off by another question. Clearly by his hesitation he did not understand the call or questions but, believing he was speaking with Peoples Gas he proceeded. They even asked for email information as he is not familiar with email either yet, they still proceeded as he was enrolling. My issue is there has to be some form of protection for disabled individuals attempting to gain independence without them being taken advantage of.

I have canceled the unwanted Spark account. However, my father is now stressed about how to pay a $800 gas bill when more than half the charges are from Spark and he is on a fixed income. The representatives appear to be more concerned gaining accounts than taking advantage of vulnerable disabled individuals. Hopefully Spark will change something in their policies to be more sensitive to such groups. I will advise everyone I know beware of Spark Energy!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your father's experience. We have received your email and will complete a full investigation. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to providing your father a resolution.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2018

They solicited our mobile home park in May of 2017. I stupidly bought their lies that they were the wholesale company to our beloved PG&E in CA, and that my rates would be much cheaper if I went with them. Note in the dead of winter my combined bill might be around $125. I live within 700 sq ft., and on disability, so I thought maybe I could save a few bucks - WRONG! My gas bill alone was over $130! Then I call to cancel, and now they keep calling and harassing me! My contract was up until June, BUT because I made a request for a cheaper rate that I found on their website, it created a new contract now lasting until August 12! They Never sent me an updated contract reflecting this so I am LIVID!!! They should stay in their own state and leave the rest of our country alone. RIP OFF! DON'T FALL FOR IT - NOTHING BUT GRIEF AND FRUSTRATION!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that there were issues with signing up for a new contract when your original contract expired. We'd like to review your account to verify what occurred; can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account details? Thank you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 26, 2018

Shockingly unethical business practices! I was a Spark customer for both electric and gas, paid every bill in full and on time, ended my contract and went with another provider. Three months later, I received a "Final Notice" demanding payment of an amount totally unexplained and not related to any bill or invoice I ever received. It was the first I heard of any issue, but the notice included threats of collections and reporting to the credit bureaus to hurt my credit rating. I spoke to 4 different reps at Spark, none offering any process for dispute, just telling me I had to pay this unexplained amount. I eventually found out that Spark couldn't account for payment from People's Gas for a bill from 2 1/2 years ago.

So the bottom line - I paid all my bills. This is an issue between the 2 companies, but Spark goes after me, expecting payment without substantiating anything, puts the burden of proof on me, and immediately resorts to threats without even referring to the specific issue or providing any invoice! This is still unresolved. I would advise anyone to stay far away from this company! I've seen my very same issue repeated with other customers on some other review sites, so I'm suspecting there may be a pattern here. And Spark, before you recommend I email the Office of the President, I've already tried that. I'm waiting for a response.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We sincerely apologize for the payment issue you have experienced. I'd like to confirm that our Office of the President has received your email and will provide you a response; however, I'd also like to advise that a resolution will ultimately be determined through our Regulatory department since a BBB complaint was submitted by you. You can expect to receive a resolution thru the BBB website. Thank you.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Some agents from Spark Energy came around our place doing door-to-door and Spark Energy was something new and different at that time. I've been with Spark Energy for a couple of months now and they are doing well. Everything maintains a rate, but it's getting cold now so I use a little more heat. I interacted with their reps when I first got involved with Spark and they were good, polite and courteous. They made sure I had their phone numbers and I can call to find out if I need any more information or any questions. While Spark Energy could try to keep a lower rate info for a longer period of time, I would tell others to go ahead and give them a try.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your positive review. We truly appreciate you giving Spark Energy the opportunity to be your supplier. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our customer service team if you have any questions about your current plan or charges.

Original review: April 12, 2018

So I made the HUGE mistake of allowing the door to door salesman talk me into using this company to help reduce my bill. He showed me how this would happen on his computer so it looked legitimate. My utility bills have been 30-50% higher all winter. I’ve never had bills this high. When I complained, they offered me a much lower rate. I think they should have offered that to begin with and am disgusted with that business practice. Canceling is a big pain in the butt too. Have to call them 1 day before my contract expires, then call PG&E to restart their gas service. If meter read date is before the cancellation date, then I’m stuck with their variable rates (god only knows how high those could be). Moral of this story... leave this company alone. Not worth the hassle.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our services. Please note that available fixed rates are subject to change so the price offered to you at the time of enrollment would be different than when you called in to cancel. Also there seems to be some inaccurate information in regards to the cancellation process. Can you please email our Office of the President so we can review your account and properly assist? The email address is oopcx@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I ordered electricity from Spark Energy in March 26 and they required a $150.00 deposit. I paid that and my electricity in my house was connected. Less than a month later on 4/11/2018 they contacted me and want another deposit. This time $200.00. This company is not good and I would not recommend them to anyone!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience. We'd like to confirm that we have received a complaint from the PUCT and our Regulatory department will handle the resolution with the deposit request. Thank you.

Original review: March 20, 2018

This is a total RIP-OFF! You don't going to SAVE ANY MONEY with them, Attached is a picture of my billing of March last year and this year comparing I'm getting double charge because I'm using this companies that promote you that will save you money on your bill when they do is double charging. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! You guy don't deserve even one star and don't use this service. ALSO THEY GOT YOU ON A CONTRACT AND THE CANCELLATION FEE IS $100 BUCKS! PLEASE DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANIES!!!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 19, 2018

I moved to the property in January 2015. There is no meter readings given by estate agents Foxtons. They haven’t showed where is meter reader in the apartment. I was almost with Spark for only 4months. I paid them around 500£. Only 2 adults and 1 baby in the property. They wants me to pay more 609£. I have spoken to the customer service. They said they will talk to their manager and call back. For 2 years they haven’t call me back. Now they send me a letter from court to pay 609£. 4 months bill around 1000£ for 3 people. Please guys who read my message don’t choose Spark Energy. 100% fraud electric supplier.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello, we believe that you have left a review in error. Spark Energy LLC is not affiliated with Spark Energy Ltd which is located in the UK. You may be able to contact them on their website: www.sparkenergy.co.uk

Original review: March 17, 2018

My electric bill in December soared to around $1000 from a normal electric bill of $500. By the time I finally got to move to a new supplier they raised my rate from .06 cents per KWH to .10 to .15. After all said and done they charged me more in three months than I have been charged for a year's worth of service. I disputed it but to no avail. They just told me, "Too bad." I have subsequently changed to a competitive supplier for .06 cents a KWH. Stay away from these folks. They will steal from you if they get the opportunity. I was just too stupid to trust them with my business. By the way, a one star is not where I would rate these guys. It should be zero stars. STAY AWAY.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Spark Energy didn't end on a positive note. Prior to a fixed rate contract expiring, we send notices to remind customers that of the contract expiration date and the choices they have. We'd like the chance to review your account to see if we can offer additional assistance. Please email us your account details to oopcx@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My 93 old father-in-law was being charged 3 times the amount for gas as I. My house is almost twice the size of his. I'm quite upset that this company took advantage of an elderly man. Stay away from this company!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear of your father-in-law's experience. We'd like to take a look at his account to see what exactly occurred. Can you please email us with his account and contact information so we can discuss with him? Thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2018

One of the door to door salesman, Montez ** came knocking in an apartment complex uninvited and systematically started knocking on doors on each floor. When he got to mine, my wife answered and he threw his sales pitch. My wife asked if he was from Eversource as we had out meter inspected a week earlier by Eversource. He said he was and said that he can get up a discount on our energy. He asked for our billing statement and my wife, unfortunately gave it to him. He then wrote down his personal cell which was bogus. It was someone's cell phone in Ohio and then left a company number which does not go to an individual with no vmail.

I was however able to call the Spark Energy provider and had them immediately cancel this which they did. This sales puke took my bill with my name on it and opened an account without my permission. My wife is not even on the account. I'm not suggesting you don't save money or it's not good for people during these times. I don't know or care. This hack and their sales practices were unacceptable. I'll hopefully see Montez ** and educate him on integrity and common sense. Until then, don't fall for these scams and be aware of their lying to make a buck.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for you and your wife's experience with the door to door sales person that visited your home. The actions you described are not tolerated at Spark Energy and we would like to complete a thorough investigation on the agent that visited your home. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we can discuss more details? Thank you.

Original review: March 4, 2018

A lady from called on the telephone to give some better deal on the electric. Spark offered a lower price than other people and this lady investigated that for us. We used to be with PP&L and it’s the same other than a lower price on the bill. The fixed rate option was chosen for us.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad to hear that it was a smooth transition and that you did receive a lower rate. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions about your charges or your current plan.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have had a very good experience with the company that I use. Their rates are fair and the few times I have spoken to customer service they have been very helpful.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review. We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to more years of service. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about your bill or current plans.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I’ve been with Spark Energy for eight months and it saved us some money. They had a lower rate over other providers and I got the fixed-rate energy product. I set it up online since our other company was about to expire, we just put in the information. And within a couple of days, it was set. The process was very easy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that your transition to Spark Energy went smoothly and you are enjoying savings with the plan selected. Thank you for choosing us to service your energy needs.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Just had the displeasure of dealing with this company today. Our gas bill should have only been in the range of $40 to $50 according to Nicor but because of these ** our bill was $267. It has never been that high before. I called them and told them that we never signed up but they swear that we did but the gas is in my girlfriend's name so I had her call and then they changed the story and claimed that I signed up for the program even though I am not approved on the Nicor account and not eligible to make changes. There are security measures and laws in place to protect consumers that are meant to prevent this very kind of thing from happening. So even if I had done that, if this company willingly let me do so they were knowingly breaking the law.

They claim to have my signature and a recording of me signing up for the program but if they have either of these things they are fraudulent because I never did any such thing so either they were duped by someone pretending to be me or they are straight up lying. I can tell you this right now though, there is no way in hell we are paying them a single cent more. We thought our gas bill was High because it was cold this month but nope. Turns out our gas bill was only $50 which is all we are willing to pay.

We already paid more than we should have you not knowing and if they try to charge us again next month since it won't be canceled until after though next meter reading then they have another thing coming. Because when we look at the bill we will see which part comes from Nicor and which part comes from Spark Energy and we will pay the part that comes from Nicor but completely ignore Spark Energy because we did not authorize this. So we do not owe them anything.

Our landlord lives right next door to us and said if they try to turn our gas off they will just switch it to their name and get it turned right back on for us and then they will go after them in court. They own the property that we live on and installed a new energy efficient furnace in our basement so we don't need a stupid company like this anyways to save us money because we already save money with the new furnace. Turns out we've been with these guys for over a year and didn't even know it and if we didn't authorize this that means they have been stealing from us for a year. And they are not getting another red Cent if anything they should be refunding us.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are very concerned with the details of your review and would like to thoroughly investigate. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you and we look forward to assisting.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I had the same experience as the guy from Arlington Heights. My gas bill was extremely high. When I called, they told me I did not respond to their letters regarding renewal, but I never got any such letter. They told me I would have to talk to Nicor, who referred me back to Spark Energy. I cancelled the day after receiving the huge bill. But have to wait for another billing cycle (or two) for the cancellation to go through. In the meantime, another extremely high bill just came. Their reps are absolutely no good at resolving the issues. Beware of this company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize that you didn't have a positive experience with Spark. Although you were told that we properly noticed and no adjustments are warranted, we'd still like to review your account to see what can be offered. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I was on papowerswitch.com. and I switched to Spark Energy when I saw that they have a better and lower rate than my previous provider. I signed up online a few years ago, and all my bills and payments go through PP&L. Spark Energy’s services have been fine.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for leaving us feedback regarding your experience with Spark Energy. We appreciate your business and hope to see a renewal at the end of your current contract.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The Spark Energy reps told me that Spark would be a cheaper and better energy supplier. I went with Spark's Green product, which was cheaper, and I've been with them ever since. So far, things have been good. My energy bill is not as high as it was before. Plus, they're better for the environment. Also, the customer service has been great and very helpful. The reps were nice and personable enough. They updated me on things and let me know how things compare. I'd definitely recommend Spark to a friend. If people want to save money, they should go with Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying savings and also the renewable energy plan that was offered to you. Thank you for being a part of the Spark Energy.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

The sales person stressed that switching from Dominion Gas to Spark would guarantee savings. The first month was very cheap then the following months they charged $400 more than I've ever paid in my life. It was a 300% mark up. The sales person was misleading. I cancelled service immediately and warn others to stay away from their sales rep who pretends that they're helping when in reality it's all a scam. I tried to dispute costs but it was denied. They said this was a government program that I was eligible for and that my monthly bill will be lowered. It's the complete opposite. One more reasons to hate telemarketers. STAY AWAY from Spark.

\

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that there was misinformation provided to you by the agent that enrolled you. We'd like to investigate to determine which agent contacted you and review the calls. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Spark Energy was very informative and everything was black and white with them. I had another carrier before and their price was going up. Spark Energy had the better rate, and it was cheaper per kilowatt. They’re very good and I would recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are delighted to hear that you would recommend us to others. Thank you for your feedback and for allowing us to be your energy supplier.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Worst service. Changes to variable rate. Been paying a ridiculous amount - 2-300 a month. Cancelled them in early to mid January. My heat was even out the end of the month and my bill is $320 for the remainder??? How the heck? What kind of ridiculous cancellation fee is this tacked on??? Shady people and shady company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with Spark Energy. When a fixed rate contract expires and a new plan isn't chosen or the services aren't cancelled, the account falls onto a month-to-month variable rate. Since there is no contract in place, an early termination fee would not be assessed. Please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we can review your account and the charges. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Spark Energy came and knocked on my door. They told me about fixed rates and lowering rates. I went with what they offered and I signed up with them. I was looking to save money and I didn't. My gas and electric bill was almost $500 compared to the last bill that I paid which was $480. With Spark Energy, people should proceed with caution.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you didn't see any savings by switching to Spark Energy. We'd like to review your account so that we can determine why there weren't any savings and provide additional assistance. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account details? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

When Spark's reps knocked on my door for the third time I signed up with them - felt like our local energy provider Eversourse in MA can use some competition. Man was that a mistake... I was a Customer with the Spark Energy for almost 2 years. Always on time with my payments, never owe them a penny. The problems began when I signed up for the second year. The new price was lower but they continued overcharging me for another half of the year. Not a huge difference in a price, just annoying. Had to call them several times, speak with the supervisor... Until they fixed the issue.

But that was NOTHING compare to what was coming: I moved out of my rental (the owner sold the condo) into the area where Spark does not provide services. I called them to move service, and was told that they do not provide the service in my new ZIP code, therefore, the "Early termination fee of $100" won't be applied. I paid my final bill and forgot about it... for a month. A month later they sent me a bill in the amount of $100 stating that I owe them an "Early Termination fee". I called again. Spoke with the Customer Service, gave her a reference # of my previous conversation and was reassured that THIS time everything is done, I don't owe them anything...

A month later I got another bill for a $100. I called AGAIN. Spoke with the Customer Service, gave her a reference number and was reassured that THIS TIME everything is done properly, I don't owe them anything. To make long story short I called them 5 times in the past 8 month, spoke with 5 different representatives trying to resolve the SAME issue. Each of them reassured me that the issue was fixed and I don't owe them anything. TODAY, 2/9/2018, eight month after I moved out of my old apartment, I received a letter from a third party Collection Agency stating that I owe $100 to Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Ms. Kucherenko, we truly apologize that this fee has not been waived for you. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your previous address or account information so we can resolve this for you?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

So basically I thought I was signing up for the same supplier, was tricked. Called right away to cancel and was confused because not only was my gas bill high saw that my supplier was still with Spark Energy so not only do I have a high gas bill that I have to pay now I have to spend my day off work making calls to make sure it gets cancelled. Very dissatisfied. I can say one thing. They better not come over knocking on my door asking for my bills or to sign up for anything. Total scam!!!! Instead of saving they charge an arm and a leg!!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We want to review your account to investigate what occurred as our sales agents should clearly present themselves as representatives from Spark Energy. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account details? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Not sure how we ended up with Spark for our Gas provider but we did and shame on me for not noticing. I must have assumed it was part of the community aggregation plan. Anyway last month our bill went up considerably but it was winter and gas use would be expected to be higher. This month it was nearly doubled. $1.36 per therm compared to $.41 with the Utility should be criminal. I called to try to get some relief on my past bills and possibly sign up for their program. They offered a $25 gift card and $150 Discount Dining card. I assumed this would be like a credit card for diners. So I signed up. I figured I could get a bit of something back. After I got off the phone I did a bit of research and it is a coupon book. I called back to cancel my plan. Now I have to wait for 1-2 billing cycles while getting overcharged. I have a similar issue with my electric bill. My advice? Watch your bills.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback Mr. Sapet. We have also received and responded to your BBB review. We kindly ask that you email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we can take a look at your account.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I just switched over to Spark Energy as it was cheaper. Also, Spark Energy is a better service and the bills are paid every month. Plus, their representatives knew the answers to my questions when I asked them. Spark Energy is very good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's truly rewarding to see that our customers are enjoying our service and great rates. Thank you for your review and please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have a suggestion or want to review new rates.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

A Spark Energy rep came to my door and told me that Spark was cheaper than what I was using before and that my bill will not fluctuate for a year. She showed me the difference between what I was paying then and what I'll be paying after. So I gave it a try. I'm happy with the experience but right now, my bill is crazy high and it's double of what I paid last year. I haven't gotten the answer yet why my bill is so high. But their service was good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your service so far. In regards to your inquiry about your high bill, can you forward your initial email to oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we can take a look at your account? Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

A rep from Spark Energy knocked on my door and he was good. He told me I could save money. I ended up with their green product. Others need to go and join Spark Energy. They can save themselves some money.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for selecting our green (renewable energy) plans. We are honored that you have given us the opportunity to be your energy supplier.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I also just got the biggest gas bill I ever had. I also called Nicor to see if there was a mistake. They said I needed to talk to Spark Energy. When I called Spark they said my contract had expired so my rate was increased -- by 4x what Nicor charges! They "said" they sent me a contract renewal in the regular US mail but I never received any such mail. They claimed to have called my home. No, they did not! And even though they have my email address, they chose not to send an email. I guess it's more convenient to claim they made contact in a way you cannot trace so they can more easily scam you into higher prices. I agree with the other reviewers that they operate in a shady way. I also canceled my account with them and I would recommend that everyone else does too because it's only a matter of time before you end up in the same situation. I have been a long time customer of Spark Energy and am really angry about the way I've been treated!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry for your experience. Our Office of the President has received your email and will review your account; however, if a complaint has already been filed, then our Regulatory department will respond accordingly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I moved and I missed payments from my old address. I needed help with my payment and somebody called me. Spark sent me on budget billing but it is still a lot higher than I can actually afford. I’m disabled and on SSI. I only get 500 dollars a month and that’s for me to live on and groceries. I’m paying a hundred dollars a month most of the time. But even after I make a payment, the next bill I would get will be like I never paid the last one. It’s starting to feel more like a rip-off situation.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our services. We'd like the chance to review your account and offer additional assistance. Can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs