3.4/5 (809 ratings)

About Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that offers discounted residential and business services in select states. By signing up with Spark Energy, you get access to fixed and variable rate plans, as well as green energy options. You can enroll online if you’re in the company’s service area.

Pros

• Potential discounts
  • Fixed and variable rates
  • Green energy options

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Rates can change with energy costs

Bottom Line

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that may offer lower rates than utility companies. Its service is available only in select states; you can enroll online if it’s in your area. It also has renewable energy options.

Top Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was looking for better pricing than the current light company I had. I Googled energy companies and found Spark Energy… Everybody was nice and friendly when I needed to pay at a...

Verified

I've been with Spark Energy for years… my bill seems to be pretty fair, and most times, lower than usual. My rate's up for renewing right now, so I need to work on that. I talked ...

What is Spark Energy?

Spark Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that offers an alternative to local energy companies. With this company, your utility provider maintains your service, but Spark supplies the energy and sets the rate. You can choose from fixed or variable rates as well as a variety of flat-rate billing options (for some customers). Often, independent energy providers like this one offer lower rates than utility companies.

Spark Energy service

Spark Energy handles the transfer of service from your local energy provider. Once you complete enrollment, its representatives contact the utility company and begin the transfer process. This takes between 15 and 45 days to complete. You’ll still receive one bill from your local utility company, but Spark will be listed as your supplier.

Spark Energy rates

Spark Energy’s pricing is online, including options for fixed and variable rates. Costs for a given area might range from 8 cents to 13 cents per 2,000 kWh. Visit Spark’s website for quotes in your area. If you get service through Centerpoint Energy or ONCOR, you can choose flat billing for 12 months — Spark also offers a fixed-rate plan for households that use more than 2,750 kWh per month and a fixed plan for homes that use fewer than 2,000 kWh monthly.

Spark Energy FAQ

Who owns Spark Energy?
Spark Energy was purchased by OVO Energy in 2018, but both companies operate independently.
Where is Spark Energy available?
Spark is available in New York, California, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas.
Where is Spark Energy located?
Spark Energy is based out of Houston, Texas.

Is Spark Energy legit?

Spark Energy provides competitive natural gas and electricity rates to residents and businesses in select states. It also offers renewable energy options and fixed or variable rates. It has the potential to charge less than local utility companies, but Spark customers do risk higher rates as energy costs change.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

This is my first 5 months with Spark Energy. So far it's been a good relationship after getting through an issue with the initial signup. I plan to renew with Spark Energy and continue our relationship without any other issues along the way.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We’re glad to hear that everything worked out despite the enrollment issue and that you have given us the chance to remain your supplier. Thank you for your business and loyalty.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Customer service is terrible. I needed my service transferred to my new address because I was moving. They never shut down the account for my old address. When I received two invoices and called them about it they told me not to worry about it because it was a mistake. Just like the previous mistake that they had emailed out to everyone confirming plan renewals. As they make mistakes they expect you to pay for it. And will put all the blame on you. Save yourself some time.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We can absolutely understand your frustration and we would like to investigate your concerns to get to the bottom of what happened. Please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com with your account details and concerns so we can thoroughly review. Thank you.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Spark Energy had the lowest rate and it was a year-by-year thing. It was simple to switch but once I signed up and did everything, I didn't hear from anyone until I got something in the mail maybe a month later.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that your enrollment process was simple. If you enrolled online and provided an email address, you would've received an email confirmation. Please note that mail times can be long as there have been issues with USPS.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Spark Energy charged their fees per kilowatt-hour, so I went with them. Based on my usage, the fixed-rate made the most sense. My experience with them has been favorable.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're grateful that you chose our company to be your energy supplier. Thank you for your business and for leaving us a review.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I've had Spark for a long time and I like their rates. I’m also satisfied with their service and when I dealt with their reps, it was a good interaction.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our customer service and rates. We appreciate your business and hope that we remain your supplier for many years to come.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I was with Reliant before and one of my friends referred me to Spark Energy. Since then, I'm doing well. I'm paying the lowest cost since I've been in America. Whatever the charge was fair. So far, I'm happy with their services. I also brought one guy onboard this year.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's great to hear that you are happy with our service. Thank you for your business and sharing your experience.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Spark Energy is providing better rates compared to the one in the market and that made me sign up with them. The sign-up process was good, but there should be one tool you could operate multiple times. One is for the login and again, for the payment, it would go to the different area of things. Other than that, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate your business. If you do decide to recommend your friends or family, don't forget to provide your refer-a-friend ID so you and your friends can earn incentives.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I've used everybody, and Direct Energy was good at first, but then, they started charging this delivery fee, and this and that. By then, your bill is $400. I did a search one day, found Spark Energy, and signed up for the three-month plan to see if it would save me money. It did, so then I extended it when my three months were up. I've done everything over the web, including signing up, paying bills and when I renewed. It was very simple. Also, my highest bill, to date, of my contract was $97. It's been anywhere from 70 to 80. With Direct Energy, I was paying a lot more a month (200 to 300). I've sent a bunch of people over to Spark and I haven't heard anything negative. Hopefully, they’ll keep treating us right.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Although it's unfortunate what happened with your previous supplier, we're truly grateful that you chose us to be your new supplier. Thank you for opting to renew and for sharing your feedback.

Original review: April 30, 2021

We like Spark Energy. I’ve spoken with somebody on the phone at the very beginning and it was really good. She helped me, before I signed, feel good about what I was doing and in case I had to move out early or whatever happens. I work in an area where energy isn't regulated and I don't have any choice over who I use. We’ve used Entergy, and they have astronomical prices. We pay astronomical prices for energy at work, but where I live, I’m saving money.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's unfortunate that not all areas are deregulated but we're glad that you're enjoying the benefits of having a choice and that you chose Spark Energy. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Spark Energy is a little better than the provider we had in the past. The guy I talked to was also really nice. He took the time to talk to me and explained everything.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that you had a great customer service experience. Thank you for your review and for your business.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information