2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity(877) 346-0863

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

My neighbor that lives next door told me how low his electric bill was, and mine had been running kinda high. I asked him what company is he with. He told me he's with Spark. I asked if he could give me their phone number and he did. Different providers all start off pretty good, but it seems like as time goes on, the price goes up a little bit, but I stay pretty much the same. There are two of us living in the house. It’s a small house with three bedrooms. And I’ve tried to keep the electric down as much as I can. I only wash a couple of times a week and try to turn the lights off. And just little things so that the bill won’t be too high.

The only problem I have is I’m very warm-natured, I get hot very easily. And so, the summertime, I have my air going. I purchased several stand-up fans. And I have a fan right by the chair that I sit in, and if I feel that I’m getting hot, I turn the fan on me. And I had fans that blow the air around, so that helps a lot, and I know it’s helped me with the electric bill, too. So far, I’m satisfied with Spark. There hadn’t been a problem. Occasionally, the electric will go off, but it’s usually due to something happening in the area, maybe a storm.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that your neighbor recommended our services to you. If you'd like to recommend any of your friends or family, be sure to provide your Refer-a-Friend ID to receive credits off of your monthly bill. If you need more information on this program, please reach out to us at 1-877-547-7275.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

My previous father-in-law used Spark Energy and recommended them. I've been with them for at least 10 years. They're kinda no-nonsense. I don’t have to deal with any paperwork and the payment comes automatically out of my account, which is handy. Their rates seem to be pretty low in comparison with the local provider, which is Reliant. My rate changes based on usage, at my rate per kilowatt hour as well. I've had to call their customer service once and it was super fast. They had my issue resolved in the same phone call within a matter of about five minutes. So, by the time we got through, I got an email that said the times were new, and every package they have available is on the website. So, it’s very self-explanatory and easy to use.

My parents have been very set in their ways, but I’m trying to sell them on the idea that Spark Energy is a cheaper option and it’s a lot easier to use. My father’s biggest pet peeve is dealing with people on the phone. With Spark, 90% of it is how you’re handling it on your own. He doesn’t have to really deal with anybody and get angry at poor phones and at phone takers unless there was a major issue like an outage. But there was an outage once and I had an email within an hour explaining about the situation. I didn’t have to really deal with it.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly appreciate your review and your business. It's great to hear that you are satisfied with our service but we'd like to confirm that your rate does not change based on your usage. Your rate will remain fixed for the duration of the contract; however, your average price which includes your delivery charges will vary.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Verde Energy said that if I wanted to continue with the energy supplier, they would transfer me to Spark Energy. And I got transferred. I have been getting rebate checks from Verde Energy, so I was used to that. And with Spark Energy, I didn’t qualify. But their rep said that he had put in for me to get adjusted checks again and I had never got adjusted checks from Spark Energy. Also, there's a difference with the letters I get from Spark and Verde. If I got mail from Verde, it would be telling me that they were my energy supplier. I was getting rebate checks, and then they would still be my energy supplier. Having to pay for energy supplier doesn’t bother me because they're still considerably low. I've tried to really watch how I use my electricity.

I love the electricity that I get from Spark Energy. Summer’s coming and I wanna get more than one fan, and I know I won't boost up my bill a whole lot. In my apartment, I feel cold sometimes at daytime, but at night, if I'm wrapped up, I'm warm. But I'm pleased with them trying to explain to me about the kilowatt-hours. Since I moved from apartment to apartment, I can compare a difference. My electricity is flowing the way I would like it. It's just that I don't have some type of heat I would like. I will recommend Spark and I'm gonna stay with them. I enjoy my electricity every day.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate that you took the time out to leave us a review and look forward to continued service.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We had Spark when we were at our other house and then we moved here about eight months ago. The day I moved, I had them leave the power on at the old place for one more day, and that way we had a good transition. I had plenty of time to do the setting up and everything was good. We were offered a lower rate over a longer period, and the rate was the same when we moved. The amount on our electric bill has been fairly consistent and it has been cheaper moving over here. The only thing we have issues with is our gas. However, our rate is about to go up and we need to set it again. Still, Spark has great rates and great customer service too. There's not a bunch of wait-on-the-phone whenever I wanna talk to somebody and they're very easy to deal with.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that you decided to keep us when you moved to your new home. It's unfortunate that gas is not deregulated in Texas or we would definitely love to have you as a customer for both electric and gas. Thank you for your review and don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need assistance with renewing your contract.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We checked Spark Energy and they seemed to be reputable. They had a better rate, too. I’ve checked from one year to the next to see if there was a difference and there was a slight difference in 2018 because it was a little colder. 2016 and 2017 weren’t too bad. This year, being as cold as it is, it probably cost us a bit more, but it wouldn’t cost us more with anybody else. Spark Energy has not changed its price at all and it has been the same for the last several years.

The only thing is they sent us a Nest thermostat. It controls the heat in the air conditioning, except it controls it at its own terms and we have no control over it. We can leave the house and come home, and the thermostat will be blasting at 77 degrees in the heat. In the summertime, we’ve left and come home, and I had it set for 76, 77, 87, and 88. I primarily put the air out to get the humidity out of the house and the temperature rose, but it wasn't big a deal. So, we come home and it’s down to 71 or 70. It changes its settings by itself.

We didn’t have a smartphone when it was installed and we’ve never connected it to a smartphone since my wife got one about six months ago. It is a little complicating and it doesn’t make sense if the thermostat should run itself and we should have no control over it. We can change it, but we have to be here to change it. If I was gone for two days and it sets itself for 77 degrees, it would be blasting the heat off for two days. Even when I’m home, it changes. I get up in the morning and it is 70 degrees, although I want it at 72. In order to get it to come back up, I have to turn it up to 73 and it will come up, then I turn it back to 72. The billing comes through like it is supposed to and they take the money out of the bank like they are supposed to, and it hasn’t been as expensive except this year. The weather affects the usage and this year, we’ve had an extremely heavier usage, but next year could be a lot better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with Spark Energy. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Nest thermostat but hope that you are able to troubleshoot and correct the settings to lower your usage. We appreciate your business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I had Spark before and all they did was lie to me. They told me that I would be receiving two checks, and never received any of them. They hire all the people to go online to get everybody’s business, to make phone calls, and all they do is lie. I’m tired of that.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience and would like to investigate further into your claims that you were lied to. It is never our intention for any of customers to feel this way and we'd like to change your perception. Can you please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com so we can review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I liked the lower bills with Spark. Their team was very polite and very informative. I was with them for about half a year. Right now, I’m not with them because I moved. But I got a call yesterday and they were asking me. Their service was really good.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Spark Energy Green was calling me and I signed up with them since switching to them was the only way I could lower my bills. Their service is okay and I have them since August. Since then, I have money left to buy things that I needed. I have also finally lowered my bills but they started going up now.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I’m on a fixed income and when my previous company's cost went up really high, I changed to Spark Energy. However, they were even higher. I talked to a very pleasant young man and he said that he was gonna try to put me in some fixed rate for the next year or two, but I have to be committed for the next year or two. At that point, I had no other choice. The bill came down a little bit but not where it used to be with the other energy company. It’s something that I’m stuck with until I finish the contract, but then I'll take it from there.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I’m a senior and looking for savings. I switched over to Spark Energy, but it has been a little expensive for me and I’ve been thinking of going back to the provider I had before. We hardly put the light on and we conserve, but the bill still stays the same at around 130. I also don’t get the full bill so I could see what’s going on, which is not a good thing. I just get the balance and I pay it so, I might go back to paper. I like their service though and haven’t had a problem with it.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team