Call toll free
3.27/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

750 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 25, 2019

Verde Energy said that if I wanted to continue with the energy supplier, they would transfer me to Spark Energy. And I got transferred. I have been getting rebate checks from Verde Energy, so I was used to that. And with Spark Energy, I didn’t qualify. But their rep said that he had put in for me to get adjusted checks again and I had never got adjusted checks from Spark Energy. Also, there's a difference with the letters I get from Spark and Verde. If I got mail from Verde, it would be telling me that they were my energy supplier. I was getting rebate checks, and then they would still be my energy supplier. Having to pay for energy supplier doesn’t bother me because they're still considerably low. I've tried to really watch how I use my electricity.

I love the electricity that I get from Spark Energy. Summer’s coming and I wanna get more than one fan, and I know I won't boost up my bill a whole lot. In my apartment, I feel cold sometimes at daytime, but at night, if I'm wrapped up, I'm warm. But I'm pleased with them trying to explain to me about the kilowatt-hours. Since I moved from apartment to apartment, I can compare a difference. My electricity is flowing the way I would like it. It's just that I don't have some type of heat I would like. I will recommend Spark and I'm gonna stay with them. I enjoy my electricity every day.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate that you took the time out to leave us a review and look forward to continued service.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We had Spark when we were at our other house and then we moved here about eight months ago. The day I moved, I had them leave the power on at the old place for one more day, and that way we had a good transition. I had plenty of time to do the setting up and everything was good. We were offered a lower rate over a longer period, and the rate was the same when we moved. The amount on our electric bill has been fairly consistent and it has been cheaper moving over here. The only thing we have issues with is our gas. However, our rate is about to go up and we need to set it again. Still, Spark has great rates and great customer service too. There's not a bunch of wait-on-the-phone whenever I wanna talk to somebody and they're very easy to deal with.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that you decided to keep us when you moved to your new home. It's unfortunate that gas is not deregulated in Texas or we would definitely love to have you as a customer for both electric and gas. Thank you for your review and don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need assistance with renewing your contract.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We checked Spark Energy and they seemed to be reputable. They had a better rate, too. I’ve checked from one year to the next to see if there was a difference and there was a slight difference in 2018 because it was a little colder. 2016 and 2017 weren’t too bad. This year, being as cold as it is, it probably cost us a bit more, but it wouldn’t cost us more with anybody else. Spark Energy has not changed its price at all and it has been the same for the last several years.

The only thing is they sent us a Nest thermostat. It controls the heat in the air conditioning, except it controls it at its own terms and we have no control over it. We can leave the house and come home, and the thermostat will be blasting at 77 degrees in the heat. In the summertime, we’ve left and come home, and I had it set for 76, 77, 87, and 88. I primarily put the air out to get the humidity out of the house and the temperature rose, but it wasn't big a deal. So, we come home and it’s down to 71 or 70. It changes its settings by itself.

We didn’t have a smartphone when it was installed and we’ve never connected it to a smartphone since my wife got one about six months ago. It is a little complicating and it doesn’t make sense if the thermostat should run itself and we should have no control over it. We can change it, but we have to be here to change it. If I was gone for two days and it sets itself for 77 degrees, it would be blasting the heat off for two days. Even when I’m home, it changes. I get up in the morning and it is 70 degrees, although I want it at 72. In order to get it to come back up, I have to turn it up to 73 and it will come up, then I turn it back to 72. The billing comes through like it is supposed to and they take the money out of the bank like they are supposed to, and it hasn’t been as expensive except this year. The weather affects the usage and this year, we’ve had an extremely heavier usage, but next year could be a lot better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with Spark Energy. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Nest thermostat but hope that you are able to troubleshoot and correct the settings to lower your usage. We appreciate your business!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was a Verde Energy customer and then Spark bought them. I just grandfathered in and I'm on the Green 24. There was more use of solar power in their product line so I was interested. Also, price hasn’t changed too much in comparison to Verde Energy so it’s been good. I’m a heavy user, up at 3,000 kilowatt hours, so $300 a month is typical with all the air conditioners.

I would love to see a streamlined, smoother bill pay system though. Spark is not registered with Chase Bank as a regular payee so when I do my payment, they are getting a live check through the mail. But we’ve had situations where they had not received the check for three weeks and I got a disconnect notice. I know it’s the postal system though. I’ve even had to re-issue a check. So getting registered with Chase as a payee would be really nice. Then once a customer is registered with Chase, payment is within a day. So it’s popular for businesses to ask for your bank information then they would automatically draft your account. I don’t want automatic drafting though. I had two companies hurt me that way so I always push payment instead. I’m old school in that.

With Spark Energy, you can automatically withdraw and pay from the website. But most middle-aged consumers who don’t pay their bills off of an app on their phone prefer to log-in to their bank’s website, click the bills they wanna pay, set the amount and send when they know that they have the funds on the account to do so. That way, they do not have to worry about over-billing, being overdrafted or getting caught off-guard by a surprise bill. That aside, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Suess. We appreciate your insight and we are looking into these payment features to help create an effortless customer experience. Spark Energy values your business and we look forward to a great relationship.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When my friends start talking about their bills, I tell them to contact Spark and see what they can do for them ‘cause they have been great for me. I went online several years ago to try and compare the electrical company that I had then. I was looking for a different rate. At that time, Spark had the lowest rate. They had a billing problem at the beginning though. They lost things and didn’t send bills. I had gathered that they were new and that they had a new billing system. But they got that worked out. The agents that I talked to are knowledgeable. In addition, you talk to the same ones over and over since they have a limited staff. They remember me, and I remember them. In closing, Spark is great. I have been so happy and satisfied with my electric bills, the lowest I’ve had my entire life. They have never been over $150 and those were in the middle of a hot summer.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your honest feedback. We are thankful to have loyal customers like you. If you ever have questions or concerns about your current plan or charges, please don't hesitate to call or email us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I was contacted by Spark via a sales rep who stated that they were a ComEd rep and my existing Supply Provider was going out of business and they wanted to sign me up under their company. This was a LIE as ComEd does NOT call you to switch to another provider and existing Supplier was NOT put of business. By my own fault I believed them and signed up with them only to find out they lied from ComEd themselves. They also said they would send me an $80.00 rebate check for signing up in 3-5 business days of which never arrived. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FRAUDULENT COMPANY!! I will be filing a complaint with the BBB.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for providing us your feedback and bringing this issue to our attention. We in no way condone soliciting our service in a fraudulent manner. If you have not already filed a complaint with the BBB, we ask that you email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com so we can investigate.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I’ve had Spark Energy for seven years. Sometimes, the rate goes up and down, then up. That has been happening mostly every month and my bill is getting higher and higher. There are a few representatives who tell me one thing then another one who tells me another thing, so it’s all confusing. I liked Spark at first, but now everything is changing and they don’t let me know.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a great experience lately. We'd like to keep you a happy customer since you have been a loyal customer for 7 years. Please contact us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com with your concerns so we can assist. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I thought service with Spark Energy was removed back in 2014 but to my surprise they’ve been my “floating rate” provider since then. ComEd brought to my attention that my $560 bill was partially due to being charged nearly triple what their rate currently is. Granted this is obviously partially my fault but I assumed it was removed and ComEd was again my provider, my bill was reflecting correct charges.- wrong! Highly suggest reviewing your bills if you have automated monthly payment. I was originally disappointed at myself as well as the company but with such a loyal customer as myself why would they want to “renew” a contract with me or try and contact me at all! I contacted them in regards to my non removal of provider and their response was “Well, we have no record of that.”

Spoke to a manager and when I asked what the “contract said” his response was in the state of Illinois a verbal contract is legal and that he wasn’t able to say -who runs a legitimate business with that? I called again and asked for a copy of the contract because ComEd suggested with the situation contacting the Illinois Commission of Commerce and they only file for 2 years. There is nothing from them that they can provide a floating rate so how in the hell are they getting away with it? I know for a fact when they originally had 3 people come to my house in 2012 and sign me up for a 6 month trial period this wasn’t the expected outcome.

I’m so happy I finally was able to figure out why my bill is so high. ComEd suggested to fax in forms for removal or find another provider because of non removal. I’m obviously not the first this has happened to. $3, 4, & 500 bills monthly are a little out of control for a small space. It’s a matter of time before this is a legal matter, I’m sure. That administrative fee and high rates are finally a thing of the past. Currently ComEd is charging 6.725 and Spark was charging me for 17.99... So happy to find out the reasoning behind my high bills.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that your experience was not great. If you would like to provide your information so we can search for the call where you requested to cancel, we'd be happy to review so please email us. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

So I had an agent come to my door about Sparks energy saying with all the fire and lawsuits with pg&e our rates is a bit high after asking to see my bill.. which was true so I said hey let’s give it a try “since it would help lower my gas” but I was never informed that I would be on a contract and that I would be charged for their service.. nor was I informed of a contract which if I decide to terminate that I would be charged a $100. Because if I knew I wouldn’t agree to sign up.

Anyways didn’t know till my first bill with them to find out it’s like I'm paying double of my gas bill cuz I’m paying $42 a month for their service and gas from pg&e! So I called to terminate the contract I never knew I had which if I kept the contract I would be paying double of the termination fee when it will end either way.. I was informed that they have a recording of me agreeing to all terms so of course I WANNA HEAR IT before paying that $100.. After calling 3 times for the recording they tell me when the agent who has the recording is available they would give me a call. EACH TIME I CALLED they said the same thing so I can hear the recording and no phone call! Last call I did was to speak to a manager and was put on hold. After being put on hold back and forth with the agent and supervisor for 20mins they hung up on me!! So if they can’t help me I had no choice but to get help elsewhere..

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize that you weren't able to get assistance when you called in and received no follow up. We want to review your account to see how we can assist. Can you please email us? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I've had Spark Energy close to 10 years, and I love it. I’ve always had great customer service. Everything has always been very clear. And the pricing is competitive. I’ve referred them out and people have signed up.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback about our pricing and customer service. Thank you for choosing us to be your supplier and for being a loyal customer of almost 10 years!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs