3.26/5
  • 1 star
Based on 85 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

555 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I’ve been with Spark for at least half a year or more. They have a better price than what I was getting with the supplier that I had so I decided to go with them. The application process was very easy. The price is what I look at mostly. It's a big factor for me. And, I want the fixed price and not the variable rate. I called Spark and said that I liked their rate and would like to be a customer of theirs. So far, it's been a good experience.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with Spark Energy and hope that you continue to renew your fixed rate contract with us. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you would like to discuss rates or other account concerns.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I like Spark Energy's price and I enjoy having electricity. It’s on, it works and it’s pretty solid. I don’t really notice anything wrong so that means it’s doing a good job.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback about your experience with Spark Energy. We are always happy to hear that our customers are enjoying our services.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

This area is not so hot and the air-conditioner is not really turned on most of the time. I have a furnace and use energy only during the winter time. Spark Energy looked competitive to me in the beginning. I liked the terms and the price is important. It can help save money. I liked a term based on one year to be stable because I can predict the utility bill of every month. When I started, I made a couple of phone calls to Spark Energy because something wasn’t clear about the statement. The mechanism that they’re doing was different from another state where I came from because I paid the bill to PECO. PECO is the carrier and Spark Energy is the supplier. It’s two bills together. Early this year, my contract with Spark just ended and only then did I notice that my bill went up. They increased the price by 20%, so I switched.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are disappointed to see that you are not completely satisfied with your services with Spark. Upon review, I noticed that you are still active with Spark Energy with a account and fixed rate that began in April 2017. We'd like to discuss your concerns further; can you please email us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My son-in-law signed me up with Spark since he said it was the best one at the time. Their price was better and they're good compared to other companies. I would recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed service with Spark Energy and that your son-in-law recommended us. We hope to keep you as our loyal customer for many years to come.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Spark Energy is a good company. They have better rates and good customer service. I had an easy transition from regular PECO.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your kind words and that you have selected Spark Energy to be your electric supplier. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us online or over the phone if you have any suggestions or concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I signed up with Spark Energy in January of 2017 to get a discounted electricity generation/transmission rate in Pennsylvania. I didn't notice right away (because of budget billing), but in July they switched my rate from $0.0629/kWh to $0.15/kWh! They claim that once the contract expires they have to buy on the spot electricity market, which is much more expensive. If they have a reasonable number of customers they should still be able to purchase power at reasonable rates. Scammers, and I've switched to another provider.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, John. It is true that when a fixed rate contract expires, we purchase the energy on the spot because at any point after the contract, the customer may switch away. Our Office of the President has received your email and is currently reviewing your account to provide you a resolution.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We have such a high bill. I looked for cheaper electricity on the internet and I saw Spark Energy. Their reps usually answer all my questions and get me taken care of. I've had a very good experience with them and I'm satisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have had such a great experience from our rates to our friendly customer service representatives. Please consider us in the future when you are in the market for a new supplier.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I signed up for a plan they call the "Spark Flex" plan to provide natural gas supply to my home. The specific ad said the plan is a month to month plan (meaning no long term commitment) with a price of $.29 per therm. It does not say anywhere except in very fine print that the price is an introductory price for 2 months. As bad as that is, like the other negative reviews here, once the "introductory period" was done, the price per therm went to a level that is almost triple or quadruple the spot rate for my local utility (BGE).

I find the advertising to be highly deceptive, and beyond that, I find their strategy of charging outrageously high rates to be verging on abusive. Luckily, I have figured this out within 9 months, and figure I have been ripped off for about $300-$400. I plan to contact the office of the president, but have little hope of any resolution. At that point, I plan to reach out to the regulatory authority, and while I will most likely not get my money back, I can hope to at least make the company be truthful in its marketing.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review, Mr. Friedman. We apologize that your experience was not a positive one. Our Office of the President has thoroughly reviewed and addressed your concerns. We wish you well in the energy market.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

HORRIBLE customer service! Even though I was getting $60 credit by using more than 1000 kw my bill still came out higher than any other provider I have ever had... Erroneous charges that you have never seen before that they try to pin on the distributor by saying they are "breaking down all their charges so you will know what you are paying for". Bologna! Distributor charges are the same, no matter what electric provider you use and their normal amount is also being billed! I also got 3 x friends to sign up and was promised friend referral bonuses they never lived up to! My friends were also supposed to get a bonus for signing up under me and they never got theirs either! I would not recommend this company to anyone; I have NEVER had such an experience with an electric provider before! I have filed two complaints with the Public Utility Commission regarding them and have NEVER filed a complaint in the past.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience. Our Regulatory department has received your complaint and will respond accordingly. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was on the Price Protect 6 plan, paying 0.064 kWh and then switched without my consent to Residential Evergreen paying 0.211 kWh. Customer service only offered $75 bill credit. I was overcharged $435.66. Totally unacceptable. Request for the full credit on my account.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review, Mr. Byrd. Prior to the fixed rate contract expiring, we send a notice and for Texas customers, the notice includes the estimated month-to-month rate (Evergreen plan) that the account will roll onto if a new fixed rate is not chosen. We'd like the chance to review your account and provide additional assistance. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Spark Energy had a low introductory rate for a while and that was favorable. It had gone up but it was still a little lower than what my utility company charges so it was okay. If the rates are high and someone’s offering a lower deal for a certain period, then I would probably go with the lower price at least during the summer months when we use a lot of electricity. Spark Energy is a good service and I’d recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your feedback and would also like to encourage you to contact our customer service department so we ensure you are aware of all your rate options.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I did an internet search for the different providers in my area and Spark Energy had better rates than most and they had good reviews. Price stability was important for me for a period of time that it was given. The Spark team was good upon my initial sign up. There could be a difference in service somewhere down the road but Spark energy is pretty equal to our previous provider as of now. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review detailing your experience with Spark Energy. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns about plans or charges.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Spark Energy's rates and talking with some other people who had them, and thinking that they were pretty good made me go with them. However, they were not upfront with what they said they were going to do. I was overcharged. They raised it up from 7 cents to almost 12 cents a kilowatt hour. They did not refund the money, and they did not want to come down to the rates that I had prior to them overcharging me. Nobody could make a decision and I got a runaround. I am very dissatisfied. I would not recommend them to anyone because they’re very truthful and that’s not the way to do business. I have cancelled my service and I’m waiting for a refund from them. If they don’t respond within another month, the state will go after them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience with Spark Energy. Mr. Garey, we'd like to ensure that your account is properly handled; can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I had a 2 year contract with Spark Energy. After it ended I received a very large electric bill. They started charging me at a rate of $0.1740 per KWH which is double the PP&L base rate of $0.08493 per KWH. I called and complained and they said that they could charge me whatever they wanted to when I am on a month-to-month variable rate. Don't use this Company. It would have been cheaper to pay the $100 penalty to cancel the contract early.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience, Mr. Byrne. I'd like to confirm that we have received your email and our Office of the President is currently reviewing your account. Also please be advised that once a contract expires, we are no longer able to pre-purchase the energy at a fixed rate; therefore, we have to buy the energy at a much higher rate.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Spark Energy was offering a good rate. I’ve been with them just recently and so far, it’s been alright. I always had other providers before them and I noticed that the pay rate was different.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We hope that you will consider us again in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns about your previous account or any new plans.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I wasn’t satisfied with Spark Energy. The person that came to speak to me didn’t tell me exactly what's going to happen. He wasn’t very thorough. He said my bill is going to be lower and that I should enroll quickly and I did. I was thrown into it. I’ve only had it for four months or so and I have noticed that I am paying more than I was prior. When I actually spoke to somebody, they said that I’m actually paying more so I was a little disappointed by hearing that.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Ms. Amaral, thank you for your feedback; although, we are saddened to see you haven't had a positive experience. We have located your account and our Office of the President will be reaching out to you to see if we can attempt to bring you to a satisfied resolution. Thank you again for letting us know how you feel.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This company straight out takes your money. I do not know how they are able to get away with it. I've already paid them $500 in 8 months, what they do is they start charging you their rate for gas usage on top of PG&E's charge. In my case, I got the incredible rate of .75 per therm, so in January this year, I paid them $70.20 for 87 Therms plus their Customer Charge of $5.04. As I mentioned, I also had to pay $76.30 to PG&E for "Gas Delivery Charges" (which they do not disclose) at 1.87/Therm. So in total I paid $151.54!!! The previous year, without "The Spark Energy Con", my gas bill was only $84.59. This piece of crap company came knocking on my door with the promise to reduce my overall Gas Bill, so far that mistake has costed me almost $500!!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize if there was any miscommunication or confusion regarding the delivery charges and your Spark Energy rate. We'd like to discuss your account further to resolve your concerns. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I found Spark Energy on the Connecticut Energy website and Spark has good overall rating and price. I had a great interaction with their team when I called them. Their service is good and my bill has been a little bit lower. Spark Energy is good and efficient.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your honest feedback. Please think of us the next time you are in the market for a new supplier.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I switched over to Spark Energy for someone in our chamber's house because it is for residential. That guy who does things for me gave me the information, I went online, did an account, and set it up. I found their customer service to be very good. I had to call back since it wasn't switched but I kept all my notes so I knew who I talked to, when I talked to them and what I was supposed to get. The lady that I talked to said, "I believe you. You have all the information." The lady was apologetic that it happened and I was fine. She was very courteous even though the first one didn't go through. They are going to go back and credit me.

I did the same thing for our office but for some reason, it went through because they sent a notice. That means Spark sent a notice out saying, "Important. Your rate expires and it could go to $12.99." I called since we didn't want that to happen. It's funny because I didn't get a confirmation on my personal one but I had it written down that I had the $7.99 for six months, the $50. I spoke with Leslie and I have a confirmation number.

Spark Energy sends me something and their rates are reasonable. Also, they followed up with another letter on July 27th and they confirmed what I have. They do a good job with informing me when it's going to expire and then confirming when I go ahead and change products and they confirmed it. I'm glad that Spark notifies us because unless I put it in somewhere, I'm going to forget or I can look at the bill. The electric bills are starting to say what I have. I hope their rates are going to stay the same because I don't like to switch but I don't want to pay $12 if I can pay $7.9. Overall, I’m very satisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for providing us a positive feedback despite the failed renewal on your account. Upon reviewing the residential account, I was able to confirm that we were able to correct your renewal rate just in time so that you weren't billed at the $0.1299 rate. If you have any questions or concerns on either of your accounts, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at oopcx@sparkenergy.com.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My overall experience with Spark Energy has been great. They were easy to work with. I've used another electric natural gas provider in the past and Spark has a cheaper rate.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are overjoyed to hear that your experience with Spark Energy has been great. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We appreciate your review.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Our previous provider's rates were higher than UI and I didn't like that. With Spark, everything with the service is the same but the price is a lot better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed having Spark Energy as your electric supplier.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Somebody came to my house and told me about Spark Green Energy. My experience with them has been easy and good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for signing up for one of our renewable energy plans. We appreciate your business and hope to keep you as a happy customer for many years to come.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

This company is saying I signed up with them over the phone on February 9, 2015 however according to them my contract did not start until January 13, 2016, I don't know how that can be possible! Also they are very misleading, they send someone door to door to get your information stating it’s a low income program. My contract that I was not even aware of with them ended January 11, 2017, and since then they have been over charging me and according to them they sent me a letter in November of 2016. We really need to get together and file a lawsuit against these people. I thought I had PGE all along, they led me to believe this was just low income verification and what they did was actually sign me up for a contract with them!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience, Mrs. Rangel. We would like the chance to review your account to see if we can offer you a resolution. Please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account information. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I went online to the Connecticut website and Spark Energy was the cheapest. I’m on a six-month fixed price and it was less than what I was paying at that time. I have used 10 different providers in the last five years because I have to. There's no choice because they will go for six cents to 13 cents and every provider does the same thing. So, we're forced to negotiate a new one. Every six months I renew with the lowest provider. Usually, whoever I was with, it’s tremendously more expensive the second six months so, it's very rare that I go to the same company twice. The team at Spark Energy called me to try to renegotiate but their cost was still too high.

The providers are all the same and there's no way they could provide something different. They produce power to a network but they're not producing electricity that goes directly to me. So, realistically, they're just a name on a piece of paper. There's no possible connection that would have any impact on the customer. Similar to all the other providers that I had used in the past, the experience is all good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about Spark Energy and the market in general. We truly hope that you consider us in the future. Feel free to email, chat or call us if you have questions about current plans.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I signed up with Spark Energy. I was told my energy bill would go down. We even looked at the charges on my current PG&E bill and I was told what my future bill would be in comparison (about 1/2). What they did not tell me was that PG&E would still charge me the delivery fees and even with the "Lower Rate" my bill would be more. When I called to cancel based on the higher bill, they first offered an even lower rate, but even with that my bill would go up. In addition to the higher bill, they charged me an early cancellation fee of $100. I used the services for 2 months and am out over $200. SCAM.

Updated on September 9, 2017: On 8/18 I received a response to my review of my dealings with Spark Energy. "Thank for providing your honest feedback. Although you are no longer our customer, we would still like the opportunity to thoroughly review your account and the enrollment. Please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so we may assist." I responded through both the review and emails on 8/19 and again on 8/27 with no response. The company should not bother to respond to a negative review if they are not going to follow through.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Well I received a phone call from a representative from Spark Energy on 08/05 to switch my electric. I enrolled and my electric was suppose to be switched on 08/08. Today is 8/15 and my electric was turned off because they never switched my electric over. So I call Spark, after I received a call from my children stating that the electric was off. I had to leave work to deal with this cause for a week I was thinking I was switched to Spark but I wasn't. Then after speaking with 4 different agents I was told they found my enrollment but I would have to wait until the next day 08/16 for my service to be reconnected. Really???

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly apologize for your experience. This is definitely not how we would like your relationship with us to begin. We'd like to investigate to see what occurred and if there is a process we need to improve or if it was just a one-time error. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

If you are with Spark find another provider. They are a big scam. Last year my bill was $320.00. This year same month and the use of less energy. My monthly billing is $570.00. What an eye opening surprise. Called Spark, was told too bad. The contract I had with them ended in 2014 3 years ago. Why is this the first am hearing that I have no contract. They have been billing me for years. Told me they can double my bill if they want. However they did offer me a $75.00 gift card. I told them to keep the card. How do they get off doubling the rates and think it's okay. This is certainly not. If you have Spark find another provider now before you get scammed and screwed also.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We are saddened to hear that you didn't have a positive experience with Spark Energy. We'd like the opportunity to review your account so we may assist. Can you please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com with your account information?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I go with the cheapest price available and I read about Spark Energy on the internet. They're a little bit cheaper than other providers so I signed up with them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review about your experience with Spark Energy. We look forward to continuing to provide you low rates and excellent customer service. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us when you need to update your plan or have questions about our charges. Thank you for feedback.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Spark Energy is convenient in a way since they are a little bit cheaper than the regular one. But my daughter prefers the regular one than Spark Energy. Other than that, it serves its purpose and everything's just fine.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Welcome to the Spark Energy family! We are truly grateful to have you as our customer and hope that we can continue providing convenient and cheaper energy to you for as long as we can.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have been using Spark Energy for about a year and a half now, and I had really liked my experience and their service so far. I understand that summer is horrible for the light bill and they have to charge delivery charges, so I was happy with them. But this last bill I received is just ridiculous and horrible. It is around 4 times what I paid just 3 months ago and twice what I paid last month. I called them to see if they could send someone to check on my meter, since I was in disbelief about having such a high bill, but what the rep told me was just the most ridiculous thing I have heard from them. He said that it was so high because I was basically not on a fixed rate for about 15 days. I had just signed up with them for another year and now this happens, I am ready to cancel but of course they will charge me even more.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are sorry to hear that you are considering cancelling your services with Spark Energy. When a fixed rate contract expires and a renewal is not completed, Spark Energy has to purchase the energy on the spot which is typically at a higher rate due to various factors. Please email our Office of the President at oopcx@sparkenergy.com so that we may discuss your account.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information