2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

4.6/5 (67 ratings)

About Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that offers discounted residential and business services in select states. By signing up with Spark Energy, you get access to fixed and variable rate plans, as well as green energy options. You can enroll online if you’re in the company’s service area.

Pros

• Potential discounts
  • Fixed and variable rates
  • Green energy options

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Rates can change with energy costs

Bottom Line

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that may offer lower rates than utility companies. Its service is available only in select states; you can enroll online if it’s in your area. It also has renewable energy options.

Top Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was looking for better pricing than the current light company I had. I Googled energy companies and found Spark Energy… Everybody was nice and friendly when I needed to pay at a...

Verified

I've been with Spark Energy for years… my bill seems to be pretty fair, and most times, lower than usual. My rate's up for renewing right now, so I need to work on that. I talked ...

What is Spark Energy?

Spark Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that offers an alternative to local energy companies. With this company, your utility provider maintains your service, but Spark supplies the energy and sets the rate. You can choose from fixed or variable rates as well as a variety of flat-rate billing options (for some customers). Often, independent energy providers like this one offer lower rates than utility companies.

Spark Energy service

Spark Energy handles the transfer of service from your local energy provider. Once you complete enrollment, its representatives contact the utility company and begin the transfer process. This takes between 15 and 45 days to complete. You’ll still receive one bill from your local utility company, but Spark will be listed as your supplier.

Spark Energy rates

Spark Energy’s pricing is online, including options for fixed and variable rates. Costs for a given area might range from 8 cents to 13 cents per 2,000 kWh. Visit Spark’s website for quotes in your area. If you get service through Centerpoint Energy or ONCOR, you can choose flat billing for 12 months — Spark also offers a fixed-rate plan for households that use more than 2,750 kWh per month and a fixed plan for homes that use fewer than 2,000 kWh monthly.

Spark Energy FAQ

Who owns Spark Energy?
Spark Energy was purchased by OVO Energy in 2018, but both companies operate independently.
Where is Spark Energy available?
Spark is available in New York, California, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas.
Where is Spark Energy located?
Spark Energy is based out of Houston, Texas.

Is Spark Energy legit?

Spark Energy provides competitive natural gas and electricity rates to residents and businesses in select states. It also offers renewable energy options and fixed or variable rates. It has the potential to charge less than local utility companies, but Spark customers do risk higher rates as energy costs change.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: May 1, 2021

I've used everybody, and Direct Energy was good at first, but then, they started charging this delivery fee, and this and that. By then, your bill is $400. I did a search one day, found Spark Energy, and signed up for the three-month plan to see if it would save me money. It did, so then I extended it when my three months were up. I've done everything over the web, including signing up, paying bills and when I renewed. It was very simple. Also, my highest bill, to date, of my contract was $97. It's been anywhere from 70 to 80. With Direct Energy, I was paying a lot more a month (200 to 300). I've sent a bunch of people over to Spark and I haven't heard anything negative. Hopefully, they’ll keep treating us right.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Although it's unfortunate what happened with your previous supplier, we're truly grateful that you chose us to be your new supplier. Thank you for opting to renew and for sharing your feedback.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Spark's customer service isn't great. Sometimes I get an idiot on the phone but sometimes I get somebody lovely that's well-spoken and can answer all my questions. If I get an idiot on the phone, I just hang up, call back, get somebody else, and go on with my life. Also, there have been little hiccups like the bill not coming in the mail so I have missed that a few times.

Other than those, I was impressed that they stuck by their word. During the winter storm, a lot of people got crazy bills but I'm on a locked in rate with Spark. I saw a little spike in my bill like 50 bucks but I was running heat lamps. That's why I will be staying with them. Another thing that they did for me was when that freeze happened here in Texas, my bill was due that Friday and they let me delay my bill from the previous month for two weeks. The lady I spoke with talked to her boss and I could tell that she gave a crap. Just a little bit of humanity goes a long way. That's another reason that I'll stay with them. As long as I can stay at a good rate, I'm not going anywhere. I would recommend them to any of my friends that are signing up out here in Pearland. I would tell them that Spark would take care of them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for the insight. We truly appreciate your business and your feedback. We recommend that you switch your invoice delivery to email to avoid uncertainty with the mail and hope that your experience with our company remains a good one.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

The lady that signed me up went over everything. She explained what am I using my electricity for and how often I’m at my home. We went over some plans and we came to an agreement on what plan would be the best plan to work out for me. She was really nice. Even when I was late, they'd call me and see exactly what they could do as far as when I was gonna make the payment so my service wouldn't get disconnected. They also responded very well. Any problem I have ever had in the past, they were on it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that your experience was such a great one. We truly appreciate your business and want our customers to know that we are here to help! Thank you for your review.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Spark Energy's rate is less compared to others, so I went with them. I've been with them for a few months now and they're good. But they don't have a good renewal process. I am a previous Spark Energy customer. My rate plan changed which forced me to go out and switch to somebody else. I didn't want to pay too much money when I was renewing. If I'm at 8.5 cents or 9 cents and I want to renew at the same time, same price, Spark Energy should be able to renew it. I understand that rate changes but if they have that plan, they should give me the option to renew it. They should be competitive enough with other providers, then only I can be with them.

I signed up for auto-pay and bills are getting paid. But my problem is that I cannot log into their website. I signed up with the same email address that I had previously. I had no problems signing up. But when I want to log in to check my bill, I am not able to log in. I've raised a couple of tickets but still, they send an email back saying that within 24 hours or 48 hours, somebody will look into it. That never happens. It's not working.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We can definitely understand your concerns regarding renewing and we'd be happy to explain how our prices work and why the same rates are not always available. Additionally, we'd also like to assist with any log-in issues you are having. Please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I had moved to Waco, from Killeen back in 2016. I Googled about a good energy service provider, Spark Energy popped up and I went with them and kept using them ever since. They have been really good to me. I used TXU and Reliant before and they were terrible. Those other companies, it's a nightmare just talking to an actual person. But Spark has been awesome. They're really quick on the phone. And they seem to have more of a provider to customer relationship that other companies don't have. That's what I really like about them. If you're looking to switch over or needed electric somewhere, I'd recommend Spark for sure.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Wow, we deeply appreciate the feedback you have provided. We're honored to have a loyal customer like you. Thank you for your business and your recommendation!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

Spark Energy had the lowest rate and it was a year-by-year thing. It was simple to switch but once I signed up and did everything, I didn't hear from anyone until I got something in the mail maybe a month later.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that your enrollment process was simple. If you enrolled online and provided an email address, you would've received an email confirmation. Please note that mail times can be long as there have been issues with USPS.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Spark Energy charged their fees per kilowatt-hour, so I went with them. Based on my usage, the fixed-rate made the most sense. My experience with them has been favorable.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're grateful that you chose our company to be your energy supplier. Thank you for your business and for leaving us a review.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I've had Spark for a long time and I like their rates. I’m also satisfied with their service and when I dealt with their reps, it was a good interaction.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our customer service and rates. We appreciate your business and hope that we remain your supplier for many years to come.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I was with Reliant before and one of my friends referred me to Spark Energy. Since then, I'm doing well. I'm paying the lowest cost since I've been in America. Whatever the charge was fair. So far, I'm happy with their services. I also brought one guy onboard this year.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's great to hear that you are happy with our service. Thank you for your business and sharing your experience.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Spark Energy is providing better rates compared to the one in the market and that made me sign up with them. The sign-up process was good, but there should be one tool you could operate multiple times. One is for the login and again, for the payment, it would go to the different area of things. Other than that, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate your business. If you do decide to recommend your friends or family, don't forget to provide your refer-a-friend ID so you and your friends can earn incentives.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information