2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that offers discounted residential and business services in select states. By signing up with Spark Energy, you get access to fixed and variable rate plans, as well as green energy options. You can enroll online if you’re in the company’s service area.

BOTTOM LINE

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that may offer lower rates than utility companies. Its service is available only in select states; you can enroll online if it’s in your area. It also has renewable energy options.

PROS

• Potential discounts
  • Fixed and variable rates
  • Green energy options

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Rates can change with energy costs

Top Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

I was looking for better pricing than the current light company I had. I Googled energy companies and found Spark Energy… Everybody was nice and friendly when I needed to pay at a later date. Overall, everything was good.

I've been with Spark Energy for years… my bill seems to be pretty fair, and most times, lower than usual. My rate's up for renewing right now, so I need to work on that. I talked to Spark's team to transfer my service, and they were friendly. It was great.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Call Now Toll Free (877) 346-0863 Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

What is Spark Energy?

Spark Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that offers an alternative to local energy companies. With this company, your utility provider maintains your service, but Spark supplies the energy and sets the rate. You can choose from fixed or variable rates as well as a variety of flat-rate billing options (for some customers). Often, independent energy providers like this one offer lower rates than utility companies.

Spark Energy service

Spark Energy handles the transfer of service from your local energy provider. Once you complete enrollment, its representatives contact the utility company and begin the transfer process. This takes between 15 and 45 days to complete. You’ll still receive one bill from your local utility company, but Spark will be listed as your supplier.

Spark Energy rates

Spark Energy’s pricing is online, including options for fixed and variable rates. Costs for a given area might range from 8 cents to 13 cents per 2,000 kWh. Visit Spark’s website for quotes in your area. If you get service through Centerpoint Energy or ONCOR, you can choose flat billing for 12 months — Spark also offers a fixed-rate plan for households that use more than 2,750 kWh per month and a fixed plan for homes that use fewer than 2,000 kWh monthly.

Spark Energy FAQ

Who owns Spark Energy?
Spark Energy was purchased by OVO Energy in 2018, but both companies operate independently.
Where is Spark Energy available?
Spark is available in New York, California, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas.
Where is Spark Energy located?
Spark Energy is based out of Houston, Texas.

Is Spark Energy legit?

Spark Energy provides competitive natural gas and electricity rates to residents and businesses in select states. It also offers renewable energy options and fixed or variable rates. It has the potential to charge less than local utility companies, but Spark customers do risk higher rates as energy costs change.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

The lady that signed me up went over everything. She explained what am I using my electricity for and how often I’m at my home. We went over some plans and we came to an agreement on what plan would be the best plan to work out for me. She was really nice. Even when I was late, they'd call me and see exactly what they could do as far as when I was gonna make the payment so my service wouldn't get disconnected. They also responded very well. Any problem I have ever had in the past, they were on it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that your experience was such a great one. We truly appreciate your business and want our customers to know that we are here to help! Thank you for your review.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I was doing research on rates, as far as how everything went with the deregulation of everything and pricing, and just decided to give Spark Energy a try. I did all the research online, and then called to get everything set up to make sure that I went into the plan that I wanted. I'm hoping at some point in time Spark does something more fixed rate so that once we get an average of bills, then I can work on something more fixed rate to budget a bit better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your review and would like to confirm that we do offer fixed rates. If you are referring to a Budget Billing program, we also offer this as well. If you'd like more information on how to enroll, please contact our Customer Care toll free number.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Spark Energy's rate is less compared to others, so I went with them. I've been with them for a few months now and they're good. But they don't have a good renewal process. I am a previous Spark Energy customer. My rate plan changed which forced me to go out and switch to somebody else. I didn't want to pay too much money when I was renewing. If I'm at 8.5 cents or 9 cents and I want to renew at the same time, same price, Spark Energy should be able to renew it. I understand that rate changes but if they have that plan, they should give me the option to renew it. They should be competitive enough with other providers, then only I can be with them.

I signed up for auto-pay and bills are getting paid. But my problem is that I cannot log into their website. I signed up with the same email address that I had previously. I had no problems signing up. But when I want to log in to check my bill, I am not able to log in. I've raised a couple of tickets but still, they send an email back saying that within 24 hours or 48 hours, somebody will look into it. That never happens. It's not working.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We can definitely understand your concerns regarding renewing and we'd be happy to explain how our prices work and why the same rates are not always available. Additionally, we'd also like to assist with any log-in issues you are having. Please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I'm glad with Spark's service. I like the prices. I got a good rate. I used to have a different company that I feel like they rate me too much money. To me, Spark is the best. When somebody comes and offers me electricity, I tell them, “No, I got the best company. I'm okay with this company. I got the best price. I don't think you’re gonna give me this. Or maybe you’ll offer it to me for a couple of months, and then raise it up. And then the same story all the time." There are a lot of tricks on the system that people trick you. I never feel that on this company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Spark Energy. We appreciate your kind words and your business.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I had moved to Waco, from Killeen back in 2016. I Googled about a good energy service provider, Spark Energy popped up and I went with them and kept using them ever since. They have been really good to me. I used TXU and Reliant before and they were terrible. Those other companies, it's a nightmare just talking to an actual person. But Spark has been awesome. They're really quick on the phone. And they seem to have more of a provider to customer relationship that other companies don't have. That's what I really like about them. If you're looking to switch over or needed electric somewhere, I'd recommend Spark for sure.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Wow, we deeply appreciate the feedback you have provided. We're honored to have a loyal customer like you. Thank you for your business and your recommendation!!

Original review: March 3, 2021

My sister referred me to Spark. My experience with their reps has been really good. The wait wasn’t even really long at all when I needed to get in contact with the representative. They were always very polite. Everything was really good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that your sister referred you. If you think our service is great, you can also take advantage of our Referral program which gives incentives for every friend or family member that signs up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I looked at every plan of six providers and I decided to choose Spark. This was the first plan that I saw that has a stable fee for the wattage. I did the sign-up online and that was really easy. Everything has gone really well.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad that you decided to choose Spark. We strive to keep our rates competitive and it's great to hear that this was the case for you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Spark is a good electric company. I've only had it about half a year and my experience with them has been fair. I would recommend it. The only issue is on the whole power outage stuff.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We can definitely understand your frustration about the outages from the recent storm as we experienced the same. If you recommend us, please be sure to use your Refer-A-Friend ID so you can earn bill credits.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have a fixed rate with Spark. I prefer to have that. Their customer service was really good. The rep I talked to today was really nice and she answered all my questions.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We absolutely prefer fixed rates as well. They save customers from price hikes such as the ones due to the recent winter storm. We appreciate your business and your feedback regarding your service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I found Spark Energy on the internet and liked how cheap they were.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's great to hear that you find our rates to be cheap. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your business.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information