Call toll free
3.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Spark Energy provides electricity and natural gas to homes and businesses across the country. We strive to provide our customers with more than just competitive energy services, but also tips and tricks to save energy and lower monthly bills. Our customer service team is always ready to serve so you can focus on the things that are most important in your life.

729 Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 25, 2019

Verde Energy said that if I wanted to continue with the energy supplier, they would transfer me to Spark Energy. And I got transferred. I have been getting rebate checks from Verde Energy, so I was used to that. And with Spark Energy, I didn’t qualify. But their rep said that he had put in for me to get adjusted checks again and I had never got adjusted checks from Spark Energy. Also, there's a difference with the letters I get from Spark and Verde. If I got mail from Verde, it would be telling me that they were my energy supplier. I was getting rebate checks, and then they would still be my energy supplier. Having to pay for energy supplier doesn’t bother me because they're still considerably low. I've tried to really watch how I use my electricity.

I love the electricity that I get from Spark Energy. Summer’s coming and I wanna get more than one fan, and I know I won't boost up my bill a whole lot. In my apartment, I feel cold sometimes at daytime, but at night, if I'm wrapped up, I'm warm. But I'm pleased with them trying to explain to me about the kilowatt-hours. Since I moved from apartment to apartment, I can compare a difference. My electricity is flowing the way I would like it. It's just that I don't have some type of heat I would like. I will recommend Spark and I'm gonna stay with them. I enjoy my electricity every day.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate that you took the time out to leave us a review and look forward to continued service.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We had Spark when we were at our other house and then we moved here about eight months ago. The day I moved, I had them leave the power on at the old place for one more day, and that way we had a good transition. I had plenty of time to do the setting up and everything was good. We were offered a lower rate over a longer period, and the rate was the same when we moved. The amount on our electric bill has been fairly consistent and it has been cheaper moving over here. The only thing we have issues with is our gas. However, our rate is about to go up and we need to set it again. Still, Spark has great rates and great customer service too. There's not a bunch of wait-on-the-phone whenever I wanna talk to somebody and they're very easy to deal with.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are glad to hear that you decided to keep us when you moved to your new home. It's unfortunate that gas is not deregulated in Texas or we would definitely love to have you as a customer for both electric and gas. Thank you for your review and don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need assistance with renewing your contract.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We checked Spark Energy and they seemed to be reputable. They had a better rate, too. I’ve checked from one year to the next to see if there was a difference and there was a slight difference in 2018 because it was a little colder. 2016 and 2017 weren’t too bad. This year, being as cold as it is, it probably cost us a bit more, but it wouldn’t cost us more with anybody else. Spark Energy has not changed its price at all and it has been the same for the last several years.

The only thing is they sent us a Nest thermostat. It controls the heat in the air conditioning, except it controls it at its own terms and we have no control over it. We can leave the house and come home, and the thermostat will be blasting at 77 degrees in the heat. In the summertime, we’ve left and come home, and I had it set for 76, 77, 87, and 88. I primarily put the air out to get the humidity out of the house and the temperature rose, but it wasn't big a deal. So, we come home and it’s down to 71 or 70. It changes its settings by itself.

We didn’t have a smartphone when it was installed and we’ve never connected it to a smartphone since my wife got one about six months ago. It is a little complicating and it doesn’t make sense if the thermostat should run itself and we should have no control over it. We can change it, but we have to be here to change it. If I was gone for two days and it sets itself for 77 degrees, it would be blasting the heat off for two days. Even when I’m home, it changes. I get up in the morning and it is 70 degrees, although I want it at 72. In order to get it to come back up, I have to turn it up to 73 and it will come up, then I turn it back to 72. The billing comes through like it is supposed to and they take the money out of the bank like they are supposed to, and it hasn’t been as expensive except this year. The weather affects the usage and this year, we’ve had an extremely heavier usage, but next year could be a lot better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with Spark Energy. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Nest thermostat but hope that you are able to troubleshoot and correct the settings to lower your usage. We appreciate your business!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was a Verde Energy customer and then Spark bought them. I just grandfathered in and I'm on the Green 24. There was more use of solar power in their product line so I was interested. Also, price hasn’t changed too much in comparison to Verde Energy so it’s been good. I’m a heavy user, up at 3,000 kilowatt hours, so $300 a month is typical with all the air conditioners.

I would love to see a streamlined, smoother bill pay system though. Spark is not registered with Chase Bank as a regular payee so when I do my payment, they are getting a live check through the mail. But we’ve had situations where they had not received the check for three weeks and I got a disconnect notice. I know it’s the postal system though. I’ve even had to re-issue a check. So getting registered with Chase as a payee would be really nice. Then once a customer is registered with Chase, payment is within a day. So it’s popular for businesses to ask for your bank information then they would automatically draft your account. I don’t want automatic drafting though. I had two companies hurt me that way so I always push payment instead. I’m old school in that.

With Spark Energy, you can automatically withdraw and pay from the website. But most middle-aged consumers who don’t pay their bills off of an app on their phone prefer to log-in to their bank’s website, click the bills they wanna pay, set the amount and send when they know that they have the funds on the account to do so. That way, they do not have to worry about over-billing, being overdrafted or getting caught off-guard by a surprise bill. That aside, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Suess. We appreciate your insight and we are looking into these payment features to help create an effortless customer experience. Spark Energy values your business and we look forward to a great relationship.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When my friends start talking about their bills, I tell them to contact Spark and see what they can do for them ‘cause they have been great for me. I went online several years ago to try and compare the electrical company that I had then. I was looking for a different rate. At that time, Spark had the lowest rate. They had a billing problem at the beginning though. They lost things and didn’t send bills. I had gathered that they were new and that they had a new billing system. But they got that worked out. The agents that I talked to are knowledgeable. In addition, you talk to the same ones over and over since they have a limited staff. They remember me, and I remember them. In closing, Spark is great. I have been so happy and satisfied with my electric bills, the lowest I’ve had my entire life. They have never been over $150 and those were in the middle of a hot summer.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your honest feedback. We are thankful to have loyal customers like you. If you ever have questions or concerns about your current plan or charges, please don't hesitate to call or email us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: May 12, 2019

My experience with Spark Energy has been okay so far. When I signed up, their customer service was good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that there have been no issues and your enrollment was a smooth process. We appreciate your business!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2019

Someone from Spark Energy Gas and Electricity knocked on my door and they offered the best rate that I had and I have been with Spark Energy for six months now. Their program is a little shady because they made me think that I will get gift cards when I sign up, but other than that I have no complaints.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Mrs. Willis. We are sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the way our service was presented to you and that you may have been misled. We'd like to gather more details so we can investigate. Can you please email us?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

Spark energy is nothing but a SCAM!!! Ask yourself this, if their products are so good, WHY ARE THEY SENDING A SALESPERSON DOOR TO DOOR TO GET PEOPLE TO SIGN UP? They are located in Texas and were at my front door in New Jersey....very strange!!! I was told I will get a lower price for gas and electric, but when my bill came the prices were quadruple when compared to my PSE&G. PSE&G prices was lower.

Spark Energy customer service personnel lied to me and told me they send out a renewal letter, but I never received such letter. I called back the next day and another customer service personnel told me that NO letter was sent out to me upon reviewing my account. SOMEONE LIED!!! They will NOT refund several thousands dollars for the OOOVERPRICED Gas & Electric. They are SOLICITORS!!!! Don't give them your business... I will post the evidence from by bills to compare the OVERPRICED charges. Thanks for reading my review and I hope Spark Energy will allow this review. That is if they can handle the truth!!

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback, Beena. While our offices are located in Texas, we do service many states across the U.S. We’d like to confirm that our Office of the President thoroughly reviewed your account and provided you with their investigative results. We understand that you did not agree with our decision; however our position remains the same.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 23, 2019

Spark Energy used a door to door salesman that posed as my current provider in order to obtain my account information. With that information, they switched my electric provider to Spark Energy without my authorization or permission. This is extremely illegal and I will continue posting this review everywhere I can.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Ms. Ryan. We apologize for your experience and would like the chance to investigate. Can you please email us with additional details? Thank you.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I've switched over to Spark Energy for at six months ago. The way they presented it to me was that I was gonna have savings. Their reps were professional and knowledgeable, and they called me to verify that everything was okay. And at this point, I’m satisfied with them. I’ve had no problems since I switched over.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you are satisfied and we hope to keep it that way. Thank you for allowing us to become your energy supplier and welcome to the Spark Energy family!

Original review: April 22, 2019

I got a letter from Spark telling me that they were taking over my account. I have them for my electricity and as long as they keep their rate down, I'm satisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for allowing us the opportunity to be your energy supplier. We hope to keep you a loyal and satisfied customer.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I've tried other companies, and so far Spark Energy has the best price out there. They really broke it down and explain the delivery and gas charges. The rep showed me on the PG&E website how it says that everyone pays for the delivery and how they are in charge of the gas only. She gave me a fix rate and I received my letter confirming what the rep went over. She made it clear it's to get a fixed rate on the gas only and so far I've been very happy with them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are so happy to hear that the sales representative went into such detail explaining our services. Welcome to the Spark Energy family - we are always here to help.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I’ve been using Spark Energy's services for about three years, and the quality of service has been good. I'd recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have been a loyal customer of three years and that you would recommend us!! Remember to use your Refer-a-Friend ID so you can earn a $25 gift card for each friend or family member that enrolls.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Spark Energy is good. I've been using them for three months and I haven't had any issues wiht them. Everything has been good and I would recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are very happy to hear that you would recommend us. When/If you do, remember to use your refer-a-friend ID which you can easily access by logging into your online account. You and the friend or family member that you recommend can earn a bill credit.

Original review: March 29, 2019

From start to finish, I was a satisfied customer with Spark Energy electric service for over two years. I moved and presently do not have an electric account. Customer Service staff were courteous and efficient. Overall, I would recommend Spark Energy and I will return for service with them should I require an electric account in the future.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Spark Energy. We are happy to hear that it was a great one and that you would recommend us. We hope to see you as a customer in the future.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Several months ago my bill increased dramatically. I thought it was because of the cold Maryland winter but I just realized that my account was fraudulently switched to Spark, and the energy rate for Gas and Electric almost doubled from what I was paying before. I would never have consented to change service as the company I had before is represented by a close family member. I hope I can get back the extra $800 I have paid over the last 4 months. I'm going to report this fraud everywhere that I possibly can.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to review the account to determine what occurred. Can you please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com with your account details?

Original review: March 24, 2019

Spark Energy has been providing me with electricity for eight years now. I tried them after a friend of mine told me about them and I've liked their service so I stayed. Their price was better than my previous provider. When I applied initially, I didn't qualify so I put the contract under my brother's name. Then, one day when I called, they told me that I am qualified and so I put the contract under my name. Every time I call their customer service, they answer my questions and try to help me. Spark Energy is a good company and I would recommend them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It is truly an honor to have such a loyal customer of 8 years! We appreciate your positive review and your business. Remember to use your Refer-a-Friend ID to qualify to get a bill credit for each friend/family member that enrolls.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Starting this year I started receiving charges from this company on my PG&E bill. I immediately call the company as I've NEVER EVER paid anything close to what I was being charged. Come to find out we supposedly signed up for this service which was not true. 1 I have a locked gate 2. I have guard dogs and lastly 3. No one was home at the time we were all out of state. When they provided the phone number used to sign up, it didn't match anyone's. I asked them to cancel the account which they stated I needed to pay what is owed in order to cancel.

I told them I was not going to pay those fraudulent charges that I did NOT agree to. So they close my account and ask me to pay what is needed and they'd reimburse me the total amount. Called one day, a rep said 1 check of $56 was going to be sent. I called another day, another rep said only 1 check of $78 will be sent. Not totaling what I am owed. This company is shady, they beat around the bush, and when you catch them red handed they play dumb. Waiting for resolution. If not, got my lawyers ready. Do NOT trust this company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We can understand how frustrating it is to receive conflicting information. We'd like to review your account to confirm what occurred and how we can assist. Can you please email us? Thank you.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have a sign at my front door that says "No Solicitors". That did not stop your people from ringing my doorbell about 4:30 PM 3-13-2019. My wife answered, I could hear some discussions then, she came to me and I asked: "What? another damn solar company?" No, she said, it's about verifying our PG&E rates. It had been long day and I had had a couple of beers and was very tired. Your agent said that he was s 'subcontractor to PG&E who was sent to verify that I was on the correct rate. He continued that, with the fires lawsuits and PG&E's bankruptcy, I needed to be on a 'lower rate' for gas or my bill would increase significantly. I specifically asked what the bill amount for gas would be and he said it is bundled and not broken out but my bill would show detail charges. I listened to his pitch and then received a verification call (to prove me checked my gs rates) as he went down his printed script and provided responses just to get him out of here!

After I had dinner and my head cleared, I did some on-line research and was disturbed at what I found. By this time it was after 7 PM and your office was closed. I called early the next day (3/14) and spoke to "Josh #**", explained the above facts and told him I had buyers remorse (Intoxicated at the time) and I DID NOT WANT ORDER #** PLACED. He said it was not processed and he would ensure it would not be processed. I requested a email confirmation which he said I should get within 24 hours. THAT WAS 8 DAYS AGO. I STILL WANT CONFIRMATION THAT ORDER #** WILL NOT BE PROCESSED. Based on my experience, I am unable to trust anything I hear from Spark Energy and I want nothing to do with them. Awaiting a response.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Mr. Metcalf. Thank you for your feedback. As explained to you via email yesterday, we have cancelled the enrollment and sent your interaction details to our Sales department for further review. Should you have additional concerns, please email us.

Original review: March 20, 2019

One day after I agreed to try this with an earnest young door to door salesman I decided I was not going to save any money, so I called in to cancel the subscription. So now, a month later I see $55.21 added to my Pacific Gas and Electric Co. invoice. When I called in to complain, Jasmine said they only had record of the initial call. After calling in, I discarded my notes thinking it was finished. Oh, get this, she advised it takes one to two billing cycles to get it removed. How's that for a money making endeavor!!! Last month's bill was $192 and this month's is $299. Next call goes to the CA. Public Utilities Commission.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Hello Mr. Shimek, we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our services and wished to cancel. While we wish we could expedite the cancellation for you, the request is completed by your utility company and the date is determined by them. We'd like the chance to review your account to assist you further. Can you please email us? Thank you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I've had my electricity from Spark Energy for five years and they do what they're supposed to do. Essentially a billing service, they send me the bills, and they take the payments. The price is cheaper than what I was paying to another company and while I'm always skeptical about things that are drastically cheaper, I spoke with friends who had had Spark and got confirmation that they were happy with the service. I set it up online and it was as easy as it could have been. It was straightforward and not like AT&T or Microsoft where it's impossible to navigate their system and figure out exactly what it is they want you to do. So far, I've been fairly happy with Spark.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience with Spark Energy. We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Spark Energy is cheaper than the other providers and I don’t pay too much sometimes. I used TXU when I lived in Mesquite two years ago and I paid more than $200 a month even though we supposedly have free nights. With Spark Energy, I never pay more than $160. Spark Energy is a lot better than TXU. With TXU, we even had problems with the lights. We had more than 24 hours without lights and they didn’t fix the problem quickly. I prefer Spark Energy and I will only use them for the rest of my life. Their customer service is really fast. My life got better when I started using Spark Energy because I save a little over a hundred a month. I recommended them a lot. Three of my friends changed to Spark Energy this year.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are beyond thrilled to read your feedback. Thank you for allowing us to be your trusted energy supplier. We look forward to a lifetime of business with you!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I got a fixed rate energy product from Spark Energy, and I like their price. The team at Spark Energy are usually friendly and I’m not on hold for too long.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Welcome to the Spark Energy family and thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying our fixed rate.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Someone tried to fraudulently open an account with Spark Energy in November 2018 with my info. I called Spark Energy to stop it and they said that they could find my information in their system and that they would put a stop on any transfers pertaining to my address. But somehow an account was still fraudulently opened with Spark Energy using my gas meter number. The name, address, phone number and Nicor account number attached to the account is incorrect and there have been multiple people calling about the account that aren't me.

Upon discovering that this happened I called Spark Energy back who then told me that it was my account even though they couldn't find anything in the system under my real information outside of the meter number. They then proceeded to tell me that I needed to pay the Nicor bill even though multiple representatives concluded that the account with Spark Energy was fraudulent. I asked to speak with the representative who emailed me and he wasn't available. Neither was any of the supervisors or any management. I was then told that I was escalating the issue after they tried to resolve it.

I offered to allow the Illinois Commerce Commission, Attorney General and Better Business Bureau figure the situation out. They told me to they would re-rate the account to the Nicor rate but I would still need to pay the bill and they would send me a refund and it would take 1 to 2 billing cycles. I asked why can't they just re-rate the bill and take off their charges instead of me overpaying and them having to send me a refund check for their charges and I was told that that's not the way it goes. After the representative talked in circles for an hour nothing was resolved. On Monday March 11th, 2019 I will be filing complaints with the companies above if this situation is not rectified immediately.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for your experience and would like to investigate what exactly happened and how we can correct it. Can you please with more information so we can assist you? Thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I liked Spark Energy's prices. Their team was eager to help and they answered any questions that I had.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to leave us a positive review. Thank you for being a part of the Spark Energy family and allowing us to be your supplier.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Today March 6 People came to my house and I was not at home. My 18 year old sister was at home with my kids and hers. They came and told her I dont know what and since she couldn't contact me or my dad she agree thru a call. She told me that the representatives were still in the household even after the person on the phone asked if they were gone. They kept telling her to just say yes to everything. After they told her the sign up fee she put her on mute and told them what was the fee and they just wrote stuff on a paper and kept telling her to say yes to everything. How do I cancel what just happened? I'm a single mom of 2 and these payments are no joke. I want no part of this.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We apologize for the delay in response to your review as we just received it on Thursday, April 11th. We'd like to investigate the details of your sister's experience. Can you please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com? Thank you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I've had multiple door salesmen come INSIDE my apartment completely harassing me to switch to Spark. They guaranteed me all these rates that I'm almost positive they had no idea what they were talking about. The first women to come had me lend her my phone charger so she could charge her phone, then had me call to sign up for Spark and stood there telling me what to say. When they ask has the representative left your property, she had me lie while standing right next to me. I receive my first month bill with an over 100% increase in the amount I was charged. They sell it to you as your bill will be the same except you get 100 free dollars a month (which is not true, $100 dollar value in coupons). Legally, this has some serious issues with sales practices.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your updated rating. We are pleased to know that we resolved your concerns.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Someone I knew had Spark and they were cool with the company. Price-wise, it has been good. I don’t like price fluctuations, so I selected a fixed rate energy product with Spark. Their team was very good, efficient and fast when setting up my service, and everything has been perfect.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are happy to hear that you have had a perfect experience and that you were recommended by a friend. If you'd like to recommend us to your friends or family, make sure to use your refer-a-friend ID which you can find on your online account so you can earn a bill credit for each person that signs up! We appreciate your business.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I had Verde before, but I was changed over to Spark Energy Green. My bill might be a little higher now with Spark, when it was cheaper with Verde.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your feedback. We are a little disappointed to hear that your bill is higher with Spark Energy. Our records indicate that we offered you a lower rate than the one you had with Verde Energy and you accepted. If you'd like to go over your account in more detail, please don't hesitate to call us - we are always here to help!

Original review: March 2, 2019

My mother is 92 years old and she does not remember anything about talking to these people, however when she showed me the letter from them saying she had switched her supplier from People's Gas to Spark I immediately called them. This happened on Jan 4, 2019, the letter stated to call before Feb 15, I called and informed the rep that she wanted to cancel the enrollment, reps said, "No problem." She cancelled everything, gave me a confirmation number, her name and ID NUMBER. Feb 19 my mother gets her gas bill and almost had a heart attack.

The bill was over $500, Spark had charged her $306. I called Spark to ask why she was being billed when I had cancelled in Jan. I was told they had no record of the cancellation in their system, I tried giving the rep my confirmation number and the info of the person who did the cancellation. She would not take it saying if the cancellation wasn’t in their system there was no way to trace the number and since my mother enrolled she was responsible for the bill. I don’t know if they knocked on the door or called but they should not be allowed to take advantage of seniors, especially a 92 year old one, the way they do.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review regarding your mother's experience; however, we are very concerned and would like to investigate what occurred. Could you please email us with your mother's account information so we can assist?

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Spark Energy was founded in 1999 and provides customers with electricity across the United States. The company is one of the pioneers in the retail energy business.

• Experience: Because the company was founded nearly 15 years ago, customers can enjoy the benefits of working with an experienced retail energy company.

• Pricing: Spark Energy has extremely competitive pricing compared to other suppliers in the area.

• Renewable: Spark Energy uses renewable energy sources, and they have an eco-friendly philosophy behind their business.

• Customer service: Spark Energy has no online chat customer service platform, and there can be long hold times that occur when calling the company.

• Sales tactics: Spark Energy employs an aggressive door-to-door sales tactic.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs