3.4/5 (817 ratings)

About Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that offers discounted residential and business services in select states. By signing up with Spark Energy, you get access to fixed and variable rate plans, as well as green energy options. You can enroll online if you’re in the company’s service area.

Pros

• Potential discounts
  • Fixed and variable rates
  • Green energy options

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Rates can change with energy costs

Bottom Line

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that may offer lower rates than utility companies. Its service is available only in select states; you can enroll online if it’s in your area. It also has renewable energy options.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: June 25, 2021

Spark Energy had the lowest rate and it was a year-by-year thing. It was simple to switch but once I signed up and did everything, I didn't hear from anyone until I got something in the mail maybe a month later.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that your enrollment process was simple. If you enrolled online and provided an email address, you would've received an email confirmation. Please note that mail times can be long as there have been issues with USPS.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Spark Energy charged their fees per kilowatt-hour, so I went with them. Based on my usage, the fixed-rate made the most sense. My experience with them has been favorable.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're grateful that you chose our company to be your energy supplier. Thank you for your business and for leaving us a review.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I've had Spark for a long time and I like their rates. I’m also satisfied with their service and when I dealt with their reps, it was a good interaction.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our customer service and rates. We appreciate your business and hope that we remain your supplier for many years to come.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I was with Reliant before and one of my friends referred me to Spark Energy. Since then, I'm doing well. I'm paying the lowest cost since I've been in America. Whatever the charge was fair. So far, I'm happy with their services. I also brought one guy onboard this year.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's great to hear that you are happy with our service. Thank you for your business and sharing your experience.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Spark Energy is providing better rates compared to the one in the market and that made me sign up with them. The sign-up process was good, but there should be one tool you could operate multiple times. One is for the login and again, for the payment, it would go to the different area of things. Other than that, I would recommend Spark Energy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate your business. If you do decide to recommend your friends or family, don't forget to provide your refer-a-friend ID so you and your friends can earn incentives.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I've used everybody, and Direct Energy was good at first, but then, they started charging this delivery fee, and this and that. By then, your bill is $400. I did a search one day, found Spark Energy, and signed up for the three-month plan to see if it would save me money. It did, so then I extended it when my three months were up. I've done everything over the web, including signing up, paying bills and when I renewed. It was very simple. Also, my highest bill, to date, of my contract was $97. It's been anywhere from 70 to 80. With Direct Energy, I was paying a lot more a month (200 to 300). I've sent a bunch of people over to Spark and I haven't heard anything negative. Hopefully, they’ll keep treating us right.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Although it's unfortunate what happened with your previous supplier, we're truly grateful that you chose us to be your new supplier. Thank you for opting to renew and for sharing your feedback.

Original review: April 30, 2021

We like Spark Energy. I’ve spoken with somebody on the phone at the very beginning and it was really good. She helped me, before I signed, feel good about what I was doing and in case I had to move out early or whatever happens. I work in an area where energy isn't regulated and I don't have any choice over who I use. We’ve used Entergy, and they have astronomical prices. We pay astronomical prices for energy at work, but where I live, I’m saving money.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's unfortunate that not all areas are deregulated but we're glad that you're enjoying the benefits of having a choice and that you chose Spark Energy. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Spark Energy is a little better than the provider we had in the past. The guy I talked to was also really nice. He took the time to talk to me and explained everything.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that you had a great customer service experience. Thank you for your review and for your business.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Spark's rates are really good. I didn't want variable rates and Spar's rates were fixed.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We strive to keep our prices competitive and we're happy that you find our rates to be good. Thank you for your business and feedback.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had Reliant before and I had prepaid. But I wanted something stable because I was going to be at the location for three years. A friend of mine said that Spark Energy really had good prices, so I went with them. Recently, my bill was up and when I called, they said it was because of the Freestone we had a month ago. Then this month, my bill was low and I'm really happy with it. So far, Spark Energy is so much better than Reliant and every time I called, they'd answer my questions and we'd go through everything.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback and your business. Its great to hear that you are enjoying low bills and the customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Spark Energy's rates are really low and your bill is pretty much what they say it is. It may fluctuate here and there, depending on what's going on, but overall, it's been a great experience. Recently, I got a notification and an email from renewing with them. They also called me to see if I wanted to renew my contract and I just did.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your review and for deciding to renew. We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Spark's customer service isn't great. Sometimes I get an idiot on the phone but sometimes I get somebody lovely that's well-spoken and can answer all my questions. If I get an idiot on the phone, I just hang up, call back, get somebody else, and go on with my life. Also, there have been little hiccups like the bill not coming in the mail so I have missed that a few times.

Other than those, I was impressed that they stuck by their word. During the winter storm, a lot of people got crazy bills but I'm on a locked in rate with Spark. I saw a little spike in my bill like 50 bucks but I was running heat lamps. That's why I will be staying with them. Another thing that they did for me was when that freeze happened here in Texas, my bill was due that Friday and they let me delay my bill from the previous month for two weeks. The lady I spoke with talked to her boss and I could tell that she gave a crap. Just a little bit of humanity goes a long way. That's another reason that I'll stay with them. As long as I can stay at a good rate, I'm not going anywhere. I would recommend them to any of my friends that are signing up out here in Pearland. I would tell them that Spark would take care of them.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for the insight. We truly appreciate your business and your feedback. We recommend that you switch your invoice delivery to email to avoid uncertainty with the mail and hope that your experience with our company remains a good one.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I like the price and the excellent service. Also, it's easy to make payments. I love everything about Spark.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that you love Spark! Thank you for your business and for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

Original review: April 13, 2021

When I first signed up with them, I was pretty satisfied but in the last few months, my payment started rising. It's been pretty high so I've been trying to figure out if there is a better alternative.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your honest feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service so we can discuss your account and ways to lower your bill. We are here to help.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I had, so far, a good experience with Spark Energy. They were nice.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your business and your feedback.

Original review: April 6, 2021

My initial contact and contract was by door to door solicitors. Had annual contracts for Gas service, renewable annually. After a couple of years, was wondering why my gas bill was so high. Extremely high given that I live in the SF Bay Area of California. Contract was up for renewal in a couple of months. Went back and checked the contract price vs what I was billed. Rate for the dead of winter was three times the contract price for five months. Called to report discrepancy, was told that they would send request to billing for recalculation.

And, oh, tried both numbers provided for company, one of which was only a robocall operator: choose one of many dead end suggestions. Waited. And waited. Called and emailed after 30 days. Sent in an itemized by billing cycle of the recalculated correct billing and what I was owed. Person on the second call didn't know what I was talking about, asked to talk to a supervisor. Finally found my request and said that they needed the billing statements from my local provider since they couldn't find two of the statements on their end. HUH??? No records of their own????

Emailed them two of the five that they claimed they didn't have. They emailed back to wait 4-6 weeks for my refund. Waited and waited again. Finally got this "debit card" in the mail. Didn't know what it was for. Called the number on the card, found out this was a company Spark paid to handle their refunds. Instead of cash, they send pre-paid debit cards. Then found out the amount. They had only refunded four of the five months I was over-billed for. Had to email and call again. Again, person on the other end of the line knew nothing, had to refer to billing for adjustment.

Waited and waited another 30 days. Finally emailed and called, again. Person on the line said, the amount was correct. And, they were charging me local tax, AGAIN. WHOA, ARE YOU KIDDING. Get me a supervisor. Restated the whole problem again, and that I was doubly upset now that they weren't going to refund the overpayment of the tax that was incorrectly charged in the five months of billing they screwed up. Supervisor looked, said yes, I was correct, a billing cycle was missing.

Finally, a person who sounded like they knew what was going on. Except, this was months from the first complaint and still not settled. Said they would send it to the billing department, again, the third time. Wait another 4-6 weeks for settlement. Wrote down the number of this "supervisor" from the reverse directory. Asked for a direct line to them. They said there is not a direct line they could give me, so have to continue calling number, get a receptionist, explain problem, ask for supervisor, explain problem again. Get told to wait, and wait and wait.

Finally got second card. Total of both cards about five bucks less than I was owed. Finally they got me to quit. Problem with these cards? You can't cash them out. And unless you use them to pump gas, you will always leave money on the card. If the cost of what you are purchasing is over the card balance, it will not let you use it, unless you are pumping gas.

This company is badly run: no direct supervisor connection, you always get a different person every time you call. No direct access to the billing department for billing discrepancies. Unable to follow contract price: in breach of contract and inability to reconcile discrepancies in a timely manner. And it still amazes me that I had to provide my statements outlining the discrepancies!

Beware and examine your contract vs billed rates. This company is probably making a mint off of customers who don't examine their bills.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We are truly sorry to hear that this was your experience. We'd like to review your account and the calls to see how we can improve. Please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com with details of your experience and your account information. Thank you.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Spark Energy has been consistent so far. I liked their price. They give me my bill on time, and it's not expensive. I will recommend them to family and friends.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that you would recommend us to family and friends. Don't forget to take advantage of our Refer-A-Friend program so you and a friend can both receive incentives.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Spark Energy is a better company as far as I'm concerned. They have awesome people and the customer service is good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your review and your business. Thank you for selecting Spark Energy to be your energy supplier.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I've been using Spark Energy for about almost four years now. The renewal is a simple process. They just email you whenever your contract is about to be over and then they actually renew before time. More than anything, the price is way cheaper than anybody else.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're truly happy to hear that you've been a loyal customer for almost 4 years. Thank you for your business and for sharing your feedback.

Original review: March 26, 2021

Spark Energy has allowed me to sign up quickly and easily and with the auto-pay, it’s efficient. I've been with them for a while and it works, so I don’t worry about it which is actually a delight.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're delighted to hear that everything was easy and efficient.

Original review: March 3, 2021

My sister referred me to Spark. My experience with their reps has been really good. The wait wasn’t even really long at all when I needed to get in contact with the representative. They were always very polite. Everything was really good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that your sister referred you. If you think our service is great, you can also take advantage of our Referral program which gives incentives for every friend or family member that signs up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I looked at every plan of six providers and I decided to choose Spark. This was the first plan that I saw that has a stable fee for the wattage. I did the sign-up online and that was really easy. Everything has gone really well.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad that you decided to choose Spark. We strive to keep our rates competitive and it's great to hear that this was the case for you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Spark is a good electric company. I've only had it about half a year and my experience with them has been fair. I would recommend it. The only issue is on the whole power outage stuff.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We can definitely understand your frustration about the outages from the recent storm as we experienced the same. If you recommend us, please be sure to use your Refer-A-Friend ID so you can earn bill credits.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have a fixed rate with Spark. I prefer to have that. Their customer service was really good. The rep I talked to today was really nice and she answered all my questions.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We absolutely prefer fixed rates as well. They save customers from price hikes such as the ones due to the recent winter storm. We appreciate your business and your feedback regarding your service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

The lady that signed me up went over everything. She explained what am I using my electricity for and how often I’m at my home. We went over some plans and we came to an agreement on what plan would be the best plan to work out for me. She was really nice. Even when I was late, they'd call me and see exactly what they could do as far as when I was gonna make the payment so my service wouldn't get disconnected. They also responded very well. Any problem I have ever had in the past, they were on it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that your experience was such a great one. We truly appreciate your business and want our customers to know that we are here to help! Thank you for your review.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I found Spark Energy on the internet and liked how cheap they were.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's great to hear that you find our rates to be cheap. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your business.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Spark is the first company that I've used on my own. I called them last week after Texas had the ice storm. I need to renew but there are no offers yet. They were still dealing with ice storm and trying to get everybody's energy up and going again.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We'd like to assure you that although our rates were temporarily removed, we are here to assist with your renewal options. Plans should be available on your online account or if you'd like assistance choosing one, we're happy to help over the phone.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

My father has Spark as their light company. He told me to call them to see how the rates were. I got a good rate compared to my father's so I decided to go with Spark. When I called, they told me that after a certain number of months or weeks they were gonna give my father a discount on a month’s rate. Another thing about Spark is their rates don't go up and down like other companies. That really helps us out especially right now with how the economy is and how the work situation is.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that you decided to enroll based on your father's recommendation. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I was doing research on rates, as far as how everything went with the deregulation of everything and pricing, and just decided to give Spark Energy a try. I did all the research online, and then called to get everything set up to make sure that I went into the plan that I wanted. I'm hoping at some point in time Spark does something more fixed rate so that once we get an average of bills, then I can work on something more fixed rate to budget a bit better.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your review and would like to confirm that we do offer fixed rates. If you are referring to a Budget Billing program, we also offer this as well. If you'd like more information on how to enroll, please contact our Customer Care toll free number.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

We were with Ambit Energy before but moved to Spark as they had the cheapest rates. We have a fixed rate for our energy plan and that was really important. It was within our price range. Spark is the best we've had so far. Their representatives have been good. My wife and I are happy.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Making the decision to switch energy suppliers can be a difficult one but we're glad that you chose to make the switch and you're now enjoying lower rates. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information