3.4/5 (818 ratings)

About Spark Energy Gas and Electricity

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that offers discounted residential and business services in select states. By signing up with Spark Energy, you get access to fixed and variable rate plans, as well as green energy options. You can enroll online if you’re in the company’s service area.

Pros

• Potential discounts
  • Fixed and variable rates
  • Green energy options

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Rates can change with energy costs

Bottom Line

Spark Energy is a natural gas and electricity provider that may offer lower rates than utility companies. Its service is available only in select states; you can enroll online if it’s in your area. It also has renewable energy options.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spark Energy Gas and Electricity?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I've had a pleasant experience with them on the phone.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your short and simple feedback regarding your experience. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

One of my friends recommended me to join Spark. The rep I worked with was amazing. It's really affordable and economic. I can also pay my bill online. Everything is fine right now. I'm very satisfied.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that you decided to switch based on your friend's recommendation. If you'd like to recommend any friends or family, you can earn bill credits for each person that enrolls. Reach out to Customer Care line if you would like more info on the program.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

We've had a great experience with Spark Energy so far.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a quick review. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Spark Energy is a great service provider. I have a fixed rate energy plan with them. When I called them, they handled whatever situation I had pretty well.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. Thank you for selecting us to be your supplier and for your kind words.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Spark Energy rate is really good. They saved us more money. Customer service is good too. But compared to TXU, the company's faster to cut the electricity when the bill is due.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We'd like to thank you for your honest feedback. While we are glad to hear that you are saving money, we're concerned with your thoughts on disconnections. We'd like to assure you that we care about our customers and we make several communication attempts when a bill is past due so our customers can avoid disconnections by making payment arrangements. Given the winter storm that many in the U.S. experienced, we want you to know that we are working with any customers that need extra time to make payments.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I'm able to log on to the website and it's user-friendly. Service is perfect too. Everything is good to me.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that everything has been smooth for you. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for your business.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Spark Energy's rate is less compared to others, so I went with them. I've been with them for a few months now and they're good. But they don't have a good renewal process. I am a previous Spark Energy customer. My rate plan changed which forced me to go out and switch to somebody else. I didn't want to pay too much money when I was renewing. If I'm at 8.5 cents or 9 cents and I want to renew at the same time, same price, Spark Energy should be able to renew it. I understand that rate changes but if they have that plan, they should give me the option to renew it. They should be competitive enough with other providers, then only I can be with them.

I signed up for auto-pay and bills are getting paid. But my problem is that I cannot log into their website. I signed up with the same email address that I had previously. I had no problems signing up. But when I want to log in to check my bill, I am not able to log in. I've raised a couple of tickets but still, they send an email back saying that within 24 hours or 48 hours, somebody will look into it. That never happens. It's not working.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We can definitely understand your concerns regarding renewing and we'd be happy to explain how our prices work and why the same rates are not always available. Additionally, we'd also like to assist with any log-in issues you are having. Please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I’ve been with Spark for eight years. I like the price and everything is working as it should. I have a rent house. When I was renovating it, I got it set up on Spark and they did a very good job for me.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear that you have had a great experience. Thank you for your business.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Spark is better than Ambit Energy which was my previous provider. I've noticed the low rates since switching over. Their customer service is good too.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We pride ourselves on providing great customer service and competitive rates. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying our services.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Spark Energy is good and they're the cheapest.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for leaving us your thoughts on our service. We truly appreciate your review and your business.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I needed lights at the time and Spark Energy was cheap. There was recently a miscommunication. I just paid my light bill and my lights just turned back on. Spark is a great company.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your short feedback. We appreciate your business and you taking the time to leave us a review.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I love Spark. I loved their services. They’re very quick and efficient to respond to any questions that I have. It was never a hassle to get any information cleared. Overall, Spark is budget-friendly and offers efficient electricity.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

It's a pleasure to read your feedback about our services. We appreciate your kind words and your business. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

The way things went down with Spark Energy was kind of weird and that really irritated me. For some reason, they didn't get our first check right away and we got a notice that they were gonna cut us off. We've never had any problem with our other service and our credit score is extremely high. They aggravated the crap before they even talked to us. We told them that we sent our check 14 days ago. The next day, they got it. Other than that, Spark was easy to set up.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. We're sorry to hear that there was an issue with the check that you mailed and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. We hope that the rest of your time with us is smooth and effortless. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you further.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I went to Spark Energy and compared their rates to the other company I had. They were way better. During the summer, the bills from the other company would be 140. With Spark, the highest one I had was 89. I'm very satisfied with Spark.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We work very hard to provide competitive rates and we're glad that you're enjoying low bills as a result. Thank you for your review and for your business.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

So far, Spark has been giving me good prices. Look them up. Maybe they can do something better for you.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for you review. We appreciate your business and we're glad to hear that you are satisfied with your rate.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Spark Energy has better prices. My experience with their team is very good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're very happy to hear that you had a great experience. Thank you for your feedback and your business.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

My daughter said Spark was a good company so I signed up. My bill is pretty low right now.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that you were referred by your daughter. If you'd like to refer any other family or friends, you can get bill credits for each person you refer using your referral code. If you'd like more info, please contact our Customer Service department. Thank you for your review.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Someone went to my house and offered me a promotion that was going on, and explained to me the rates between ComEd and Spark Energy. The representatives have been really nice and really proper. I really liked the customer service. I used to pay my bills at the store. And now, I do it online. It's an easy process.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be your energy supplier. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

We're happy with Spark. It's a fixed rate and I'll either do a year or two-year rate. The rates are very competitive and the ease of the system is nice. The emailing of the statements is effortless.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're very happy to hear that your experience was effortless and that you found our rates to be competitive. Thank you for your business and for leaving us your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I called Edison and they said that it's the same amount of money I would pay them and Spark Energy. I have to call Spark Energy when I get time. I've had them a long time but now, it seems like the bill is so high. It's $305.83. That’s a lot of money. But it’s probably because I have the heater going. So, we’re gonna fix our gas system. So this way, it’ll be cheaper.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We definitely understand how alarming it is to begin receiving higher bills. If you have questions or concerns about the charges, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com. Thank you for your business.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I have a contract with Spark and everything’s good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your quick and honest feedback. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I used to have somebody else and it was easier to navigate their website than Spark Energy. For some reason, I wasn't able to get into my account after trying multiple times. They would send an invoice to me for my email. Then the email stopped and so I was back on my payments. I had to sign up for automatic, which I still couldn't even get into the account. I spoke to one representative whenever I was setting up my payments. But it takes a long time to get on the phone with anybody. I work night shift. If it's 2:00 PM, it’s 2:00 AM for me. I’m not gonna be able to hold for an hour. I don't have time to wait on the phone forever.

Also, when I initially started, I was supposed to get a Spark $50 referral code from my dad but I never got that. My previous company gave me a $50 Visa and since I got it from my friend, they donated something to the food bank. So, it’s more of an incentive for me to join. Then I was supposed to get $50 credit or something from Spark since I got a referral, but I didn't know.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're sorry to hear of your issues with attempting to view your paperless bills and the hold time you experienced. Although calling in is the most popular option, we also have a Customer Care Email department that can assist with any concerns if you are not able to call during normal business hours. In order for you to gain online access, you must register and activate your online account. Additionally, a Refer-A-Friend ID must be provided at the time of enrollment for the referral credit. If you still need assistance with signing up for online access, please email us at officeofthepresident@sparkenergy.com. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I used to have Spark Energy before. I got them online. I liked how simple it is. It’s direct. It’s automatic, and I don't hear anything from them the whole year. So, I like that. There was no interruption. Renewing the service is very simple, and I feel like it's a fair value compared to a lot of other companies.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that your experience has been so great. Thank you for your business and for leaving us a review.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

My time was up with my previous provider, and I checked rates mostly online. My previous supplier was cheaper, but not if I stayed with them. They had better new customer rates, but not with returning ones. So, I had to change and Spark Energy was the next cheapest. Signing up with them went so smoothly.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're sorry to hear that things didn't work out with your previous supplier but we are very grateful that you chose us to be your new energy supplier. Thank you for your feedback and for your business.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I contacted customer service when I turned the service back on and they were great. I had no problems. However, I haven't received my newest bill.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Please be aware that you can always view your most recent invoices on our website by registering for online access. If you need assistance with resending an invoice, please don't hesitate to call us.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My father-in-law referred me to Spark Energy. They made the signing up simple and everything has been great.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're happy to hear that you were referred by your family member. If you feel that you have received great service and would like to recommend us, you can receive a bill credit for each person that signs up. If you'd like more details on the Refer-a-Friend program, please call our Customer Service department.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

The Spark Energy customer service team was always great and I've used them for almost a year now.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We hope that you decide to renew your contract for another year.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I’ve been with Spark Energy for years and the service is good. I'm on a fixed plan that has a good rate and it stays at that.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We're glad to hear that you have remained a loyal Spark Energy customer. Thank you for your business and your review.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We looked who was available in our area and what the prices were and Spark Energy was the most competitive. We signed up online. Everything is going seamless.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

We truly appreciate your business and your feedback. Thank your for sharing your experience.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I like that the team at Spark Energy speaks Spanish. I speak English, but not very well to understand all the words. I have many accounts with them and the only thing that I don't like is when I need to open a new account, I have to leave a deposit because I don't have a Social number. It isn't fair for me, but it's the policy of the company. That's okay. But anything else is really, really good.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity response

Thank you for your business and for leaving your honest feedback regarding your experience. If you'd like to discuss any concerns or have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Spark Energy Gas and Electricity Company Information