1.01/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

426 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Like all the others, they sent me bills too late and tacked on late fees on top of that. When trying to call all the numbers to get into contact with a representative, I'm told that their lines are too busy and to call back later. How the heck am I supposed to know when to call back? We're in one of the busiest cities; we don't have time to sit there and go - "oh hey! Maybe it's time to call them again and NOT speak with a customer rep!" I wasted my day off with this, and still haven't gotten to speak with a representative. This is obviously them not answering any concerns of them ripping off the citizens of this city. Screw the 'tolls by mail' crap. Thankfully, my other car with E-Z Pass haven't had any issues... Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to all you other commuters.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I am a Staten Is. resident. I switch my E-Z Pass to HOV when I have 3 or more people and then switch it back to default. There were a couple of incidents where I was charged the full $17 even though I had 3 people in the car. I mean seriously! For the measly $2 discount, do you really think I would want to pay $17 knowing I didn't have the 3 people and try to cheat? The $17 is already ridiculous to charge in the first place! Sometimes people forget to switch it back to default and drive through by accident, so charge the 5.50 resident price. What the hell is the $17 charge for? Such scammers!! MTA is a horrible bunch! Whoever is running this and making these ridiculous rules have got to go.

I requested to show me the picture and the proof! I go through the bridge every single day because my son goes to school in Brooklyn and my mom also works in Brooklyn, I have 3 people carpooling back and live in SI. I saw other complaints that the same happened to others and they were charged $17 when they had 3 people for carpool. DAMN CHEATS AND SCAMMERS!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This is supposed to make things easier for New Yorkers and they've found a way to rob from us. The first bill I got when they first installed the payless tolls on the RFK bridge had already applied the $100 fees to each toll because the time I got the first bill it was late when I just received it. And since I use it every day for work, I owed over 1k on the first invoice I ever got. DO YOU THINK THAT'S FAIR?!! What's the $100 for?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have an E-Z PASS on the front of my car, the payments are automatic, I return the payments slips with my E-Z PASS tag every time the lousy system fails and it fails a lot. Yet NONE OF THIS GETS PROCESSED. No one answers the phone. These are the state workers we support with our taxes. The new automated system stinks. I HAVE MORE EXORBITANT LATE FEES BECAUSE THIS SYSTEM AND STAFF DO NOT FUNCTION.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have joined E-Z Pass for the 3rd time recently since its inception. I highly recommend if you do not use NorthEast toll roads every month...keep using cash. I will not list my horrible experience in the past as current pros or cons but do want to sympathize with users that have gotten hundreds of dollars forcefully charged straight to credit/debit card. There are certain fundamental courtesies of customer service where E-Z Pass is way beyond grossly negligent.

Pros> 1. Faster travel through toll areas via use of E-Z Pass only lanes, 2. Discounted toll in some participating toll areas, 3. No need for cumbersome toll-by-mail in toll areas without cash lanes, 4. E-Z Pass transponders are normally transferable between your vehicles, 5. Can use same account/transponder in multiple states in the NorthEast,

Cons> 1. Web-page is not laid out well. Login is counter-intuitive. Paperless billing $20 discount is difficult to find and even more difficult to understand it balancing out on bill. As it is mandatory to have your registered vehicle info and payment info up to date to prevent issues, it is completely unacceptable to have their web interface this cumbersome.

2. Customer service is inadequate. Standard difficulty getting through to a person, and multiple calls usually needed to solve an issue. There is a general sense that E-Z Pass is allowing us the privilege of using the service, with no thankfulness to customers and no sense of responsibility to take care of customers. ("I'm sorry we overcharged you $X but it is not our fault and there is nothing we can do about it."). Sometimes will charge hundred of times more in fines and fees than the initial toll cost. Makes changes to plans without communication (Replenishment charge went up and it took a phone call and 1.5 hours to find the generic answer "On evaluation of toll usage, your replenishment has been changed from $25 to $35." There was no warning of this via existing email or text communications.)

3. A service provider should not have the power to fine and charge users to the point of making simply traveling somewhere very prohibitive. Note - be prepared for a full-road charge at any time. For example if you take a short jump on a toll road but their system misses one of your tolls you can be charged the max to the other end of the highway, some places it can be over $25. Also reminder overdraft and bounced debit charges can exponentially get out of hand on one of these charges.

Cons against E-Z pass go on and on but I'm going to stop here. Overall there is no sense of customer care or loyalty. E-Z Pass as an organization has repeatedly gone out of the way to Not do the right thing. I personally have the experience that they E-Z Pass comes off as a fully empowered monopoly that users either have to suffer through or do without. And in this case that would sometimes mean not to travel/not to see family even for the holidays.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have been charged $100 per toll as late fees for three tolls that started out at $3.50. This means that for $10.50 in tolls, I am being charged $310.50. Granted I was late in paying these, but I didn't even know what had happened. I went through the tunnel looking around for the toll booth, then got a bill and put it on the desk. BAM! $100 is the first level of late fees? I called the number and the girl laughed at me. I have sent in a dispute but I don't expect it to work. This is ridiculous. Who is even getting this money?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I drove south through NJ on I-95 and paid cash for all my tolls. I got receipts for every state I drove through. NJ sent me a bill for $105.90. $5.90 for tolls, $100 for service fee. I disputed the charge with a copy of my receipt and they reduced my bill to $55.90. HA! Guess what? From now on I will drive through NJ and not pay a dime. I will run every toll booth. Since I live in FL there is nothing they can do until I need a NJ license--which I never will since I'd never live in that God forsaken scam of a state. PATHETIC! Someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against NJ E-ZPass.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Tolls by mail is a scam because I never received a bill by mail. I received an email sometimes asking me to enter my plate number to see my bill. When I entered my plate number I get an error, the next thing I received a letter with violation late charges of $100.00 per tool. I paid most of my past tool and get an E-Z Pass, at this moment I owe tolls by mail E-Z Pass over $7000,00. Anyone knows where I could find an attorney to fight this. This is so wrong because they are not sending you any tolls by mail. They are only sending you the bill with the violations at $100.00 per toll. This is so wrong... Help.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I got $300 late fee for $25.50 toll bill. It's not my fault. You know why? They can just put cash entrance I can pay cash and we are not going to pay $300 for nothing! THANK YOU FOR RIPPING US EZPASS (easy rip)!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I'm a Staten Island resident. I cross Verrazano bridge everyday 1-3 times. With my baby/parent. Every time have 3 or more passenger. But they charged me over 6 times $17! Hey, can you stop scamming us! If I was trying to snake your $3.2 plan, why would I risk it!!! Every time my baby/wife with me. And you still charged me $17, 6 times in 2 month!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Awful, awful, awful... I will go out of my way to avoid Mass Interstate 90 anytime it's possible. On numerous occasions I was charged 50+ something dollars for initial fees that were between 2$ and 5$. It's insane. How can you charge over 2500% on a darn late fee!? Well guys... I suggest avoiding these tolls at ALL costs. It's better than being highway robbed blind. Literally... Honestly... It just should not be legal simply because they're government. They shouldn't get away with this. But for NOW... Till it changes... I'll be staying off Interstate 90 if I can help it! Good luck!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

On 8/12/2017 I had forgotten to flip the HOV switch off when I had less than 3 passengers after crossing the Verrazano Bridge into Staten Island, I was charged $17 instead of the discounts I’m entitled to as a Staten Island resident. The cameras and sensors have the ability to detect the number of passengers, therefore the consumer should not be required to manually flip the HOV switch on the tag. This is a very unfair business practice to penalize the consumer with highest rate possible. This is a scam to unnecessarily gouge and penalize the consumer to pay more money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have only had an E-Z Pass for a couple months. We had to go to Queens to the airport and let me tell you the tolls apparently are over $50.00. Which is a lie! I went on my account and saw 3 tolls posted. Added up to maybe 15 or so dollars. I had over 30 dollars in my account. When I checked my checking account it stated they tried to take money out. Then I was charged $29.00 for NSF. I looked into my E-Z Pass account and it says I have $17.41 in my account so I called them and they stated the account was replenished.

That means $40.00 was used in tolls. I then received an email today stating I went below the replenishment threshold and unneeded to pay the recommended amount again. I looked in my account and I apparently have $7.00 and some change in the account. So this would mean nearly $50.00 was taken out of the account. Even more honestly. My account was and is still only showing I went through 3 tolls. They stated I went through 5. That my account had gone to $2.00 dollars. I was told it replenished $25.00 (which my account did not reflect this at all) I told customer service this and they said it had.

That would have given me $27.00 in my account. All of a sudden I got the email today and now it's saying I have $7.00 and some change left. This has been a scam and are stealing money from me. When you bring it up to their attention they will flat out lie to you. Tell you, you went through tolls that will not even reflect on your account. Again avoid this with all costs. I rather have the money in my hand and hand it to the toll booth than deal with this money greedy company!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

This is the crappiest company ever! I went over the bridges in New York City like ten times and thought I would be billed around ninety bucks which already is too expensive. Then a month later these ** tacked on a 900.00 administrative fee. **!! I am not paying that on my life!! That is like paying 100 dollars to cross a bridge that is full of raggedy ** potholes! Congratulations on pissing off New Yorkers one client at a time! I know this won't go on for long because too many people are getting ripped off and pissed, so I'll hold out until someone sues these **, because if it was anyone else charging 1000 percent interest on a loan they would be committing a crime, but how come they are allowed to do it?? Kiss my **… I am not paying!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchase a car not too long ago, use the car to do Uber and GPS sent me to a new highway regardless of no toll seen in sight. I went online and paid. A few months later received a letter saying that I didn't pay it. (I have the receipt, thank goodness) Yet they want to charge me 30 dollars for it. I called them to tell that I have the receipt and sent me a hearing letter, if this doesn't work I will still contest it in person. I know is not much, but is unbelievable that they will do so, and think that in most cases they get away with such a thing. This must stop. A very unsatisfied and angry customer.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

It's funny that I get a invoice from Pay By Plate MA a few days ago saying that if I don't pay a fee that I could have trouble renewing my plates of driver's license. The funny thing about all this is that I'm from NC and have never been in Massachusetts in my life so I would like to know how they were able to get my license plate and bill me. I was able to get in touch with a customer service representative and they said it was a case of their system misreading a plate and she would take care of it to disregard the letter. They were polite and apologetic but I should have never been inconvenienced with this in the first place. I hope this is not how they do business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We received a bill showing a grainy pickup and a bill for 3 tolls in July for tolls in Queensland. We are from Kansas, the tag on the vehicle is for a motorcycle that we own, but in the picture it is on the back of a pickup. The original bill states that you can look at other pictures online on the website. The only thing that it does is options to pay your bill online. Neither automobile has been in the state of New York. EVER.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I am absolutely infuriated!!! I just received a violation for a toll I received back in June. The total amount for my toll is $29. I NEVER received anything prior to this notice. Now my total violation fees total to $300!!! Please someone explain this to me??? How are you charging people $100 for $9 tolls and not providing them with a chance to pay this on time. This is illegal and should not be allowed to continue. I am in the process of disputing this with my attorney. Drivers BEWARE. TOLLS BILLED BY MAIL IS A SCAM!!! WE CAN NOT LET THIS CONTINUE.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I went to the Battery Tunnel three times in May and June of 2017. Mind you, I don't have an E-Z Pass. There was no toll booth. I had the money out to pay. And there was no "pay by toll" set up. There was NOTHING at the Battery Tunnel but construction. My wife was with me and we saw no toll booth, no lane open, and no E-Z Pass lane either. There was lots of construction though.

Then, for some reason, 3 months later I get a bill in the mail charging me for the tolls (fine), BUT then E-Z Pass tacked on $300 for not paying!!! Are you kidding me??? Sorry E-Z Pass. You can kiss my **. You are not getting a dime of those violations. I paid the tolls that I initially tried to pay 3-months ago. Stick your violation up your rear, and if you come after me I am contacting the Attorney General to investigate your poor practice of charging people violations when they had no way to pay. EXTORTIONISTS!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I received a collection letter from Professional Account Management, LLC regarding a NJ E-Z Pass toll violation. The only problem is - I live in Hawaii. The violation took place in NJ, with an Arizona license plate. Somehow they found me, who hasn't owned an E-Z Pass account in over 10 years, who has never owned an Arizona license plate to go after. The name of the person they are after differs from my name by one letter.

I called and wrote to them to explain the case of mistaken identity. They said the only way for them to stop hassling me with collection letters is for me to go to my local DMV and get a motor vehicle history abstract that shows the history of my motor vehicle ownership, and send this document to them as supporting evidence for my claim of innocence. I told them I absolutely will not, as this is a total violation of my privacy and a waste of my time. If they are confident they have the right person, then the onus is on them to prove that I'm the guilty party.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

We do not have EZ Pass because we rarely have reason to travel to MA. We were billed for two trips through the now non-existent toll booths on the Mass Pike. I tried paying it online, but there was an additional $4.00 charge which was NOT on their statement, so I mailed the payment in instead. They now sent us a letter for additional charges stating our payment was late (which it would not have been had we been able to pay it online to begin with) and a phone call produced no satisfaction with them.

This is an extremely POORLY RUN system. They knew they were taking the booths down well in advance so these kinks should have been ironed out well beforehand. So what happens now if I refuse to pay? Are they going to keep charging me fees? Who can I appeal to above them? I really hope this screws up their tourism and that people will start seeking alternate routes to places like Cape Cod. They are unreasonable and unfair and impossible to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I don't have an EZ Pass, so I've "opted" for Tolls By Mail. But now I have tolls dating back to June, and have never received an invoice in the mail, and I can't find a way to pay them (they are for work, so I'm all for paying them). I've gone online and offered my credit card, but the date range is too short. There is no way that I can tell to talk to someone. It's infuriating. I'm obviously anxious about getting a fee, etc. Ridiculous. I WANT TO PAY YOU, NY, FOR THE TOLLS. YOU ARE NOT MAKING THAT POSSIBLE!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

This is to those of you trying to decide if you should get an EZ Pass, as people just take these roads without thinking. I got an EZ Pass a year ago and I just regret half the times I go on the turnpike. They always find ways to screw you, are impossible to contact, have terrible customer service, and most of all, I hate giving my money to support a business of toll roads with inferior service. The transponder I have works 50% of the time, I've gotten false charges that I try to dispute and their customer service is terrible, accusatory, and just not friendly. There is ZERO way to email them, leave a message, other than contact them during your busy work week.

Despite crystal clear evidence, they will still fine you and refuse to look through their army of cameras taking photos of your license plate for proof. Truly, the Turnpike is a trash organization. More often than not, the non-toll road is just 10-20 minutes more to wherever you are going when traveling several hours, I think it's best to just stick to those. For the trips where you are considering a longer commute with friends and want to take the Turnpike to save the time of yourself and others, I totally understand, perhaps take the road and just pay cash to minimize your overall contribution to the pockets of this atrocious business.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have had an EZ pass transponder for many years - when I got it, I got it from NY but it worked in Mass. I am a Mass. resident, have Mass. plates on my car, pay Mass. taxes, etc. When Mass. Pike went to no-toll booths, without telling anyone, they started charging more if you had a NY transponder. When I called customer service to complain, she would not refund me the difference, switch my account, or help me set up a new account. The Mass. transponder is free so it's not like I've cheated anyone here. Even if I was from NY, why isn't this a violation of the full faith and credit clause of the constitution? Governments have to treat citizens of different states equally.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

$100 over a toll that cost me $5. The news could have made this clear for New Yorkers to give a better insight that NYS needed money to pay for the new bridge. Instead it comes out of our pockets unknowingly. It truly is a nightmare... cannot ask for a fee waiver but forced to pay a $100 fee. How on earth are you supposed to feed your family when New Yorkers can never get a break. NO breaks at all. E-Z Pass is the biggest propaganda NIGHTMARE.

Original review: July 31, 2017

It's disgusting how you can't ever get through on the phone. Tells you they are busy, goodbye. Like really? How pathetic. Literally the worst customer service and they are nothing but sneaky liars who rip people off.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My family's been driving over Tappan Zee for years. Late in 2016 they eliminated the $5 cash tolls and put up signs for Tolls By Mail. They invoice you by mail or email. OK, fine. The "decapitating mouse trap" for consumers, is that the Late Fee for Tolls by Mail is $100 per unpaid toll. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! If you ignore or somehow miss a few emails from E-Z Pass, you can now get face-slammed with a toll bill well in excess of $1000. There's no way I know yet of how to lessen these exorbitant, gut-gouging transit fees. You just have to shut up and pay up. I would easily vote people out of office if I knew who was behind this wicked, bureaucratic cabal. Drivers BEWARE.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I have had an E-ZPass for over 10 years and it has always been linked to my bank account. I used it for the first time in many years on January 19, 2017 since I now work in Maryland and live in Virginia. I drive two different vehicles and while driving on the day of the violation, I used the Express Lane. I held the transponder up to the windshield when I first entered the express lane and again upon exiting. Since I had not used my E-ZPass in many years, I called the Express Lane customer service number and explained what I did. The representative advised that the violation (if there was one) would not show up for some time and also advised the unit needs to remain in the windshield for the entire length of the Express Lane. Okay, no problem, now I know to have it mounted the entire ride with in the lane.

I made a good faith effort when I called. Two months later I received a bill from a collection agency for $103 bucks!!! This stems from the original toll of $4 bucks!!! I called to see what I can do and was advised to send in a letter explaining the mistake I made and also to supply them with documentation showing my license plate was linked to the transponder. I did that in May and then in June I received a letter stating that I must send in a statement of my account and again documentation showing my license plate was linked. This is crazy. I have no problem paying a $25 fine but to pay $103 for a $4 dollar toll when I made an honest mistake --- me thinks not!!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

I reported my plates stolen after receiving a letter from Mass EZ Pass stating I traveled through their toll system while I was not even in the country. I filed a police report and sent it to them. I called numerous times to let them know the plates were stolen, I was told my claim was being reviewed and two weeks later received another bill of higher amount with late fees now included. I called back again and spoke with someone only to be told that the claim was never reopened and that "they could not reopen." This is ridiculous given that the police report notes they charged someone with larceny for driving around with my plates.

I should not be responsible for these fees and I hope that in the future no one has to ever encounter their customer service center since they suck. Now I am stuck paying fees that I really shouldn't have to pay. EZ Pass MA is insensitive to the needs of the customer and didn't even fully look at the facts of my claim. Disappointed and will let everyone know of my negative experiences with their services.

Original review: July 11, 2017

BEWARE PA EZPass SCAM. Check your statements monthly. Many tolls were charged to my account using my two vehicle transponders for roads (entry/exits) and times that we don't even travel to. Called EZPass customer service and there is no way to check as per the rep. We MUST have used it/lent the car out/lent the transponders out (yup I do that everyday - sarcasm there). Hummm. Good legalized thieves stealing from hard working citizens who pay their share of the tolls already. She said, "You can contest it but most likely will be denied as many other reviewers have had that experience already."

E-Z Pass Company Information