1.04/5

Need a utility company?

New England

560 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

Threatening that "non-payment of this invoice (for toll) can result in non-renewal of your license & registration not ignore." 1. Customers cannot dispute charges over the telephone (unless the customer is a mind reader). When chatting with EZDriveMA service representative, he said "option #9 is not explicitly given by the automated system". 2. The moment I verified my address with the service representative, he typed "the plate in the toll image is not a match. I'll submit a toll dispute that should correct the toll and waive the fee". 3. Why wasn't it verified before being sent out. This is a money making SCAM. And 4. I have never been to Massachusetts.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I left the east coast many years ago and apparently forgot to close the account for my transponder. I only realized this when I got charge a renewal fee of $35. So for about 7 years they've collected annual fees for no service, but they would not refund the full amount when I called in to complain and close my account. This company is happy to take your money for nothing! Would it be that hard to update your system to send an e-mail to customers if they haven't passed through a toll collection site in 5 years? Answer: No.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My husband and I always pay when going through the tolls. And we always ask for a receipt. However a week or so later, we get citations in the mail saying that we just go on thru. We always have our receipts to prove that we paid. This system is a fraud and we've decided to now take it to court. This happens too often and we're tired of it!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I drove a friend to JFK from Orange County NY and picked her up as well. The Tappan Zee was under construction at that time. I’m so naive, I thought at first that the toll was waived because of the terrible conditions! When the bill came, I paid it late; then later, paid $10 in late fees ($5 each way). Months passed, and when I got yet another letter declaring unpaid fines, I sent a note with a copy of the check. Today, 2 years later, I’ve a collection letter for $60! Huh???

Original review: March 23, 2019

My wife drove over a bridge in NY. Activated toll. My first notification was a bill for the toll $1.25 and a $5.00 late fee. I went to their website, and they don't provide any evidence (ie. a date when the first bill was sent). So I can only conclude that they wait for the bill to be past due before sending the bill to raise more revenue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: March 20, 2019

This company should not have rights to fine unless they train their Representatives to be competent enough to explain policies. To be honest, making the tolls electronic have given them the opportunity to fine people wrongfully for violations they didn't even know about, (in my case) making this just another scam supported by the state. Thanks a lot E-Z Pass for further crushing the common Man.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I got a call yesterday stating I owe 1,000 in unpaid tolls, so I said to myself, "Ok, I'll pay the 1000", but they refused to take 1000. After it wasn't E-Z Pass calling me. It was a collection department calling me, claiming that I need to pay 26,000 in tolls and fine, it's 8.50$ per toll and each unpaid toll is 100 fee. The rep told me that I can no longer pay the toll. That we have to negotiate a number to pay MTA/E-Z pass or they could suspend my license, so I've asked, "Is 2000$ a better number?" The rep claimed a better number to pay is between 7000-10,000$. I wanted to faint when I heard that, how is a company benefiting like this- Is there any possible way to outcome out of this? I can't seem to pay 10,000$. This is outrageous.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I cross the GWB every day with two other co-workers, this month alone I checked my bill and four times I was not credited the discounted amount for carpool. The workers fail to look at you when you say carpool and constantly fail to touch their screen so that the credit is applied. This is ridiculous, I have been given dirty looks by the workers.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was issued a new credit card so my E-Z Pass account would not replenish. They are charging me 200.00 on a $5 toll... They have contacted creditors. This is ridiculous. I disputed it and now the creditors said they would take 50% off and charge me 100.00. The toll was $5... Are they serious...

Original review: March 2, 2019

I crossed the Grand Island Bridge 18 times in the course of a month and received a first time bill of 918.00 for violation of nonpayment fee. That's $51.00 every time I crossed the Bridge. How can an 18.00 bill become 918.00? I called the E-Z Pass number included on bill and and explained I received this bill for the first time with a violation fee and asked why there is such a large fee attached? I was assured the fee would be dropped as long as I paid the $18.00 and bought an E-Z PASS with a minimum balance of 25.00. That is the very definition of extortion, but I could not afford 900.00 at the time so what was I to do. I paid and bought an E-Z PASS and thought this was over.

I noticed in my bank account that E-Z Pass charged me twice the 25.00 so tried to contact them by email and phone. Their system was down at the time so I filed a complaint with the BBB. That was Sunday. Monday I went to my bank and changed my card so NYS could not take any more money out of my account. NYS Thruway called me on Tues to settle the BBB complaint. I spoke with their rep and explained my frustration with their method of collection and extortion of money. The rep found two passes across the bridge were not even mine and removed from the bill, also refunded the 25.00 overcharged on my account.

At the end of our conversation she asked if I was happy with the outcome of our discussion? She wanted it removed from BBB site. I told her I felt I was a victim of extortion. How can the state get away with such high fees and shady practices. Any person who receives a bill with such a high fee has no choice but to pay one way or the other. Pay the fines or buy an E-Z Pass, NYS will get rich off of your money one way or the other.

E-Z Pass Company Information