1.02/5
Based on 118 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

New England

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
    Last updated: April 18, 2018

495 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 18, 2018

Forget the Mob, the biggest criminals in NY is the MTA. I get a bill for $56 in tolls and $600 in fines for not paying the tolls. I never received any prior bills, just one. I am 78 years old, live on Social Security, Medicare. I have Lupus and Lung Cancer and have a 25 year old car that is in worse shape than I am. I use the car to go to the doctor over the bridge. I have no money other than for food and these pieces of dirt want $600. You can all drop dead, doing this to old people who have nothing so fat slobs who sit in offices get a fatter paycheck like their waist. I hope you all go to prison, I cannot and will not ever pay.

Original review: April 16, 2018

If I could rate my experience as no stars...I would. I received a letter in the mail, "NOTICES OF VIOLATION ENFORCEMENT ACTION" claiming I ran a toll without paying. I can assure you I paid if they went and checked the cameras and the speed of my car. They are billing me to pay the toll AGAIN so I contacted them and spoke to representatives to only be told I need to go out of my way and get a lawyer to go court and dismiss this. That is the only way they are willing to review cameras. They are STEALING money from me because if they check the cameras or even the speed of the car, I did in fact pay the toll. They also claim they are sending a letter of appeal and will notify me in thirty days but to know if they deny it I will have to pay the increased violation fee. How is their faulty tolls my problem? This is ridiculous.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wish I didn't have to give any stars. The MTA as a whole is the biggest racket, and I can't help but liken them to organized crime. Extorting riders daily, and we have to submit to their demands or we can't get to our jobs to feed our families. Cashless toll is their new racket. There are so many scenarios that make this method of toll collection wrong. $100 administration fees, I know MTA workers that do absolutely nothing for a whopping paycheck and you want to steal my hard earned money that was already used to take down the toll booths and decrease available jobs only to rob it again for going through your toll bridge.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Site down, thus can't check billing. 2 months ago the phones were faulty... called the customer service number several times but it keeps telling me that no one is available and it cuts you off. This happened for over 4 weeks. It's like no one is willing to help!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Always had my E-Z Pass set up on auto pay, BEFORE this "Cashless Tolls" nonsense. Never had a problem. Now with this cashless tolls nonsense, they have cameras they could take pictures of your license plates but they don't have scanners that can read the transponder between 40 to 50 miles an hour. So now all the tolls pile up and to add insult injury they charge for these nonsense fees that is basically robbery. I don't know how we allow New York State E-Z Pass, port authority and the MTA to get away with this!!! This cashless tolls systems is a disaster.

It was better when they had gates because the transponder would get read and a toll will get paid right there and then not pile up because this new cashless toll system can read my transponder going between 40 to 50 miles an hour. My checking account got charged $440!!! Over 5 days!!! And all I have is 1 E-Z Pass!!! All I do is cross the Whitestone bridge!! I was getting charged $85 every 2 weeks using the Whitestone bridge 5 days a week, where does $440!!?? Come from??? I don't use any other toll roads!!! This system had to be revised!!! Or class action lawsuit!!! Because this spell straight out SCAM and the hardworking people are getting raped by the state and big government!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I moved across the country back in November. Today I received in the mail a collection notice from MTA bridges and tunnels E-Z Pass for $68.70. I know absolutely nothing about these charges. I call up E-Z Pass and speak with i’ll customer service representative. She tells me the E-Z Pass charges were from a transporter of my vehicle to my new location. I explained to her that that was a huge truck with many other vehicles on it. She then tells me that I would have to follow up with the transporter and have him pay it. And then follow up with the collection agency.

I requested to speak to supervisor. A Cesar who says he’s a supervisor got on the phone. He told me the exact same thing. When I pushed him for answers on why I would have to go after my transporter for the E-Z Pass system asked Accidentally picking up my E-Z Pass he told me it’s not his problem. I would have to get the money from the transporter.

I don’t understand. I never should’ve been charged to begin with. They have camera systems for every E-Z Pass. They can easily see it was not my vehicle that was driving, it was being transported to another state. I am furious. They don’t want to help in any way. How did this become my problem. Now I have to deal with the transporter who had nothing to do with this and Transworld Systems Collection agency who never should have received this in the first place.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My issue with the new E-Z Pass system is that you HAVE to purchase the equipment in order to avoid "invoice and administrative fees" for E-Z Pass having to take the time to mail you an invoice. I am not sure about everybody else, but I feel this is corrupt and I feel people are being abused by this system. Here is why I feel this way: E-Z Pass has decided to remove the physical toll booths where we had a choice to be able to actually pay our travel fees (as we were traveling); and with taking away the toll booths, they so cleverly also took away their having to pay overhead, so guess who makes out... A LOT? They no longer pay overhead or maintenance on tollbooths, AND they get to charge us a fee on top of it. How is this legal??? I am really very disappointed and saddened with the way this country allows state government to take advantage of hardworking people.

Original review: April 4, 2018

THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL. Someone need to look into this. I received a $600 late fees bill! I never received the original bill! This is so frustrating. I been going back and forth with TOLL NY since last July 2017, but they won't listen! I paid what I owed and disputing the late fees because again, I never received the bill!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I moved to Springfield Mass October of 2017. It was at this time that all of the toll booths were coming down. Like someone else wrote here I was waiting for my pay by plate bills. I never received any of them as well and now I'm being forced to pay $800 for tolls that are less than two or three dollars. I appealed their decision for this amount that I owe. They took three weeks to give me an answer. When I finally got the answer it was pretty much of thinly veiled threat and if I didn't pay it the fees will continue to go up. This is ridiculous. This is taking rent money from myself and my children and food off of my table. Not only do I have to pay these exorbitant fees my daughter who just finish paying her car off also has to pay over $700 in fees. Why is the state of Massachusetts taking money from people who could least afford it. There has to be something done. A class action suit would be in order. I am so disgusted!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I see everyone is dealing with the same issue, I never got the toll bill and the 1 time I did the site was down, 25 days later $8.25 is now with a $100 late fee, then I got a letter with 3 tolls in the amount of $355. $300 in late fees for 3 tolls but I never got the letter and how does 100 in late fees make any sense. This is a scam.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Cashless tolls are a total scam! I drove through two--not denying that--but instead of receiving a toll bill, I get a notice of violation that charges me the toll plus $200 because I "failed to respond to prior toll bills". Here's the thing, I never received a bill!!! How can I fail to respond to something I never got! As if the MTA doesn't already screw people out of their money with the subway system, now there's this BS.

Original review: March 29, 2018

UNACCEPTABLE! CORRUPT E-Z PASS NY MUST BE STOPPED!!! Today I received a letter where $23 dollars of due tolls magically translates to $273 dollars of theft to the citizens of the state of New York. How in the world can I be demanded to pay $250 dollars of "violation fees" when I never asked the governor to sign into law cashless tolls? Why? I am an E-Z Pass tag holder and instead of transferring whatever amount I am supposed to be charged because of crossing NYC bridges and tunnels, they choose to send me to a collection agency in less than 4 months since the day I passed through the tolls.

Why are these toll crossing dues being perceived as tickets or violations? Why charge me $70 dollars per month because your failed system could not read my tag? Two of my close friends got a letter in the mail just like me today and they owe up to $5,000 dollars! on toll balances that did not exceed $80 dollars!!! This is an outraged! And if you call E-Z Pass all they do is tell you that nothing can be done because the debt is now in the hands of debt collectors. Meaning that now your credit will get ruined. NO THANKS! I rather wait in NYC traffic to pay my tolls in cash.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Something has to be done immediately! Back in September of 2017 I came to NY for a funeral. This was my first time in NY in over 15 years. And when I was last in NY 15 years ago I didn’t even have my own car. I unfortunately wasn’t aware of the “cashless tolls” when I drove into NY last September. I was told by a worker that was walking across the toll lane that I would be billed for the toll. 4-5 months later I finally get a bill for over 100.00. Of course I called and got absolutely no resolution. The guy just kept telling me that I was in the wrong and if that’s what it says that I owe then that’s what I owe.

Let’s not take into account that I wasn’t aware of the cashless toll. And let’s not take into account that it took me 4-5 months to get a bill. He said, "Well I don’t know why you didn’t get a bill." Customer service is as sorry as their cashless toll system. I can’t give these people anymore monetary. I have paid the bill once and I’m still getting bills. They don’t see in the system that I paid. Silly me paid with a money order and having it tracked is also a nightmare but I’m working on it.

Original review: March 22, 2018

So I too received two orange envelopes in the mail and wondered wth is this. One bill for $5 with $100 fee and the other $6 with $40 fee. A couple of things, first, DON'T PAY THE FEES! If people keep paying the fees, this scam will continue. Pay the toll that you owe. On the back of the toll is a section for you to dispute the toll. Write that you didn't receive the bill, which is true. Then mail that in. They were offering amnesty for Cuomo bridge but that stopped.

Call: The Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge Violation Amnesty program has ended. To resolve your outstanding Thruway Violations please call 1-800-333-8655. Perhaps they can help you. Contacted the Attorney General for NY, Eric Schneiderman and complain. On twitter, you will find David Carlucci, a member of the New York State Senate perhaps he can help you. He reached out to me but my two bills were dismissed. Good luck to everyone! If enough of us complain, just maybe they will be held accountable.

Original review: March 20, 2018

This is a horrible. I just paid $1085 which $800 are fees. This can't be right. We need to get this fix. I still own a lot more because they are charging $100 fees for an $8 Midtown toll. Please help me.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Visited NYC from Massachusetts. No way to pay tolls without E-Z Pass now. Attendant told us we would get a bill in the mail. We did get the bill... 2 months later with $100 violation tacked on to each time we cross the bridge! $17 in tolls plus $200 in violations. We followed the dispute instructions and mailed it in. Explained that there was no way for us to know of these changes when we are coming from another state but are happy to pay our tolls. The reply we received was a COLLECTIONS LETTER! We were not negligent. We were prepared to pay our tolls as always. Someone coming from another state will not know of these changes, should be given the opportunity to pay their tolls but SHOULD NOT be forced to pay a violations!! Happy to join a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 19, 2018

When the cashless toll system was just starting on routes we use (MTA Tolls), we were not surprised not to receive bills promptly, figured they were just backed up. We were surprised when we finally got 3 bills with $100 and $50 in fees added! $290 total for 3 tolls.These bills were early 2017. We did receive bills promptly for tolls used later in 2017 and 2018 - which were paid promptly (one did have a $5 fee - not worth arguing about) We were told on the phone that we had to write in to appeal the fees, which we did. I explained that I never got initial bills, asked to have fees waived. The response we received? That we owe the fees because we didn't pay the initial bill! I will continue to dispute these, have no problem paying initial toll, but I should not be penalized for their incompetence.

Original review: March 18, 2018

This is a total scam, they have a system that is unable to distinguish license plates properly. A few months ago I began getting notifications of toll violations on my plate from the NJ Turnpike. I have never been to NJ and the violations are very obviously not my car and the plate doesn't match up at all. After trying multiple times to get this resolved via phone, website, and mail I'm still receiving notices that I owe money for something I didn't do. Not only that, they charge a $50 fine for each toll violation. These people are criminals with a computer system that does not function properly. They don't care who they bill as long as they get their money and send it to collections when you don't pay a bill that isn't yours in the first place.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I honestly don't know what to do. I started doing Uber last year and had several trips through E-Z Pass tolls and everything was fine until they added cash by mail. The first letters I got had violations included so I responded to every one of those letters and NEVER got a response. I even left my phone number on it. They followed with continued violation notices and not the most recent one I got is $224 tolls and $2,600 in violations. I am shocked that this has happened; and the insane violation amount. I have no idea how to pay for this and I'm honestly screw because of it. I see many people have had this issue. I just want to pay the fair amount... and they keep screwing me more by adding more and sending them off to collections. What the hell do I do?!?

Original review: March 8, 2018

I tried to pay toll with a $20. Toll collector claimed he did not have change and that I would have to mail in toll with the form he gave me. Mailed toll promptly, saw check was cashed by NJ Turnpike Authority, so I thought all was done. Received a letter 3 months later claiming the bill was not paid and there was now a $50 administrative fee on top of the toll. How is there not a class action lawsuit against this company yet? This is ridiculous.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We have 2 E-Z Pass accounts, and as of late we have been flooded with bills from just days ago with fees of up to $50 for a $1.25 toll fee with no prior notice. These bills don’t even extend over a week span yet carry a hefty charge. Crooks!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I returned the transponder to NJ E-Z Pass 8 months ago but they keep charging me a monthly fee. When I call the customer service number, they say "Your wait will be more than 25 minutes" and then 1 minute later another recording comes on to say "we are experiencing higher than expected call volume and cannot take your call," then the system hangs up on me. Every time. Can someone tell me what my recourse is? This is not uncommon.

Original review: March 1, 2018

My vehicle had passed (9) cashless toll systems between the timeframe of 6/30/17 and 8/3/17, incurring $59.50 of tolls. This was acknowledged by myself, the registered owner of the vehicle. At the time I was not familiar with the E-Z Pass system. I attempted to search on the internet to try and pay the acquired tolls. Internet search results brought me to The MTA Bridges and Tunnels Toll Payment Website. I performed multiple searches from the time I acknowledged my vehicle had passed the cashless toll systems, up to the date of receiving violations. The MTA Bridges and Tunnels Toll Payment Website did not report any pending tolls or violations, and stated Receipt/Plate: (**) "paid".

Within the month of September 2017 my spouse was able to contact an E-Z Pass New York Customer Service Center representative and was told to wait for the toll bill to be sent to your mailing address. Soon after, I began to receive violations with impending collections for the total sum of $759.50 or $700.00 of fines. I was shocked to receive these violations after performing due-diligence, using best available information present to me. I was supposed to receive two separate bills in the mail, one combining (5) tolls and the other combining (4) tolls. Presumably, I should have also received additional letters with imposed late fees. Initial notification was NOT delivered to my mailing address prior to toll violations. The cashless toll system is supposed to send tolls by mail to the owner of the registered vehicle.

After sending in dispute letters to try and resolve the violations, it was later found that E-Z Pass NY Service Center, Violation Processing Unit had adjudicated my dispute letter and notified me that I am responsible for paying the violation, tolls and fees in full. There was no indication regarding how they adjudicated the dispute letter or their reasoning behind why I should be punished for a toll payment I had full intention on paying. In the process of disputing the violations they had sent me to collections, TRANSWORLD SYSTEMS INC. to collect $300.00 from one of the violations, possibly damaging my credit and creating a record against my name. After numerous attempts to speak with E-Z Pass New York Customer Service Center representatives I was able to speak with a supervisor that placed a request for a re-review of my previous dispute letters per my demands.

One month later I received a violation dispute determination letter from E-Z Pass Violations Processing Unit, Stating, MTA Bridges & Tunnels has agreed to accept a settlement amount of $20.00 for the MTA violation fees owed on the above account provided payment is made in full within 30 days of this letter. "If payment is not made within the allowed time slot the fee will be $200.00." Any fine imposed concerning the violations mentioned within this report is unjust, and should be immediately dismissed by this corrupt agency. I decided to make the requested settlement payment of $20 to avoid any additional fees and/or damage to my credit, or vehicle registration status as a result of coercion by E-Z Pass Violations Processing Unit.

If you are experiencing similar ordeals, please use the following information: E-Z Pass New York Customer Service Center. 1-800-333-8655 *press "0" multiple times to be connected to an actual representative. File complaint with Metropolitan Transportation Authority - Office of the Inspector General 2 Penn Plaza, 5th Floor New York, NY 10121. complaints@mtaig.org. File complaint with office of NY State Comptroller. Contact media. Someone please look into a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I received a letter from E-Z Pass NY because of a violation on Tappan Zee bridge, and as many people mentioned the first letter I received had $5 in toll fee and $100 in administrative fee. The first letter I received said that I have failed to respond to two previous collection mails. However, I did not receive mentioned mails before. 10 days later, I received another letter saying I only owed $5.

If I go to ** , the system shows that I owe $105. If I go to https://wwwapps.thruway.ny.gov/amnesty, the system shows that I owe $5. I contacted NY E-Z Pass to dispute the charges. The lady mentioned that I should pay $5 toll fee, and send another "dispute" letter to NY E-Z Pass. It is such an unnecessary hassle because I keep my license plate up to date, always have positive balance on my account, and always have my E-Z Pass tag visible on my car. I assume the reason that I received this letter is because my E-Z Pass is registered to NJ and I had the violation on NY. I used to be satisfied with E-Z Pass service. It seems like over the past 2 months they decided to just send random collection mails to everyone with administrative fees. I am afraid to receive another letter for no reason.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018 I recently had to to travel to Ma., being disabled from Lyme Disease, which caused brain damage. How the heck am I supposed to watch for signs when everyone is speeding around me, cutting me off because I'm not doing 80 mph. Regardless, I got lost, Yes, I saw toll road sign, and had my wallet next to me. Now I'm driving to Doctor, and am wondering where I pay my tolls??? Never ever saw a "NO TOLLBOOTH " sign, trying to keep myself from getting killed by people whom do not know what it takes to stop a 1-2 ton mass of vehicle!!! Who is Massachusetts to take away tolls, the state means nothing to me,

EXCEPT a HUGE RIPOFF SCAM, from ALL THE REVIEWS AND COMPLAINTS.

I'm a "grandson of the AMERICAN REVOLUTION, and CIVIL WAR ". Our forefathers did not form this country with this kind of garbage in mind. Every day it's something new, to "take your money". Consumer Affairs and the "BBB", are very useful tools for those of us whom are infringed upon by some stupid state that thinks their ** doesn't stink, and just play the loophole game with American People's monies!!! Just count all the signs out there, " HOW DO YOU READ THEM, and STAY ALIVE? "Taking advantage of "disabled people" means nothing to them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Late September of 2017 I drove to JFK airport in NY. We passed through cashless tolls that say, "A bill will be mailed to the address associated with your vehicle plate." A month or so later I received the first of a few letters from E-Z Pass saying I had not paid my toll of 17 dollars for the September 29 2017 bill. Unlike many others, who have written to complain, I had not yet received any hefty fines attached to the toll bill. I went to their website and paid the bill. The website also tells you if you have additional charges and it said that my balance was zero. Then not long after that I received another E-Z Pass bill stating that I had not paid a 17 dollar toll (with additional charges) for that same trip to JFK which I also paid figuring that perhaps I must have passed through cashless tolls going in and out. Who would remember weeks or months after especially if you are not from the area?

But if there were two cashless tolls that I had passed on the same day then why was I billed on two separate occasions? Not long after another E-Z Pass bill arrived stating that I had not paid the 17 dollars with additional fines but also said to disregard the notice if payment had already been made which I did. But the E-Z Pass bills kept coming stating that the bill is not paid. I tried contacting E-Z Pass with the number they provide but all I got was an automated message giving options on how to pay your bill. They make it very easy to pay but difficult to make a complaint. Now almost five months after that day I received a new E-Z Pass bill stating that since I had not paid the 17 dollar toll there is an additional 100 dollar fine added and that if I do not pay the fine it will go into collections with addition charges and fees and or suspension of my vehicle registration.

After reading the new letter I went to the E-Z Pass website which said something different. Instead of 117 dollars there was a fine of only 22 dollars for the September 29 2017 toll that I have already paid twice which made me think that the new letter could be a scammer posing as E-Z Pass. As I was writing this letter and gathering the necessary copies of documents, the fine amount which was showing as 22 dollars on the E-Z Pass website instantly updated to the 117 dollar fine so I was assured that this new bill of 117 was not a scam as E-Z Pass courteously informs us to be aware of scam letters posing as E-Z Pass. I have a copy of both the 22 dollar fine and the 117 dollar fine. How can E-Z Pass be trusted when their digital records are slower than their paper documents?

Even if I get through to an E-Z Pass representative and they do admit wrongdoing on their part and waive the fines, it does not correct the problem caused for all the other people who are unwilling to speak up and instead opt to just continue paying unnecessary fines on tolls already paid for out of fear. Very few people have the stomach to wait a long time behind a phone before reaching an actual person to make a complaint. And fewer still are strong enough to win over someone whose job it is to make sure that the fine is paid in full. The EZ Pass billing system seems to be designed, legally of course, to drain as much money out of timid citizens as they can until they are forced to correct their procedures. If this has been going on for years now without any change then the only way to solve this issue would be to get rid of the E-Z Pass system or replace it entirely.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I recently received a collection notice claiming that I owe 2000 dollars in tolls and fees to E-Z Pass. After contacting the collection agency and spoke with a supervisor she accepted $900 on behalf of E-Z Pass. I then realized that I did not fully understand the requirements for the cashless toll system, I did not know that I had to retain the tag in my auto when going through the toll. I had established an online account and saw money was being taken out from my checking account.

When I called E-Z Pass service and spoke with miss ** and ask her what was going on with my E-Z Pass account and why wasn't I sent a notice about late payments she told me that they don't send notices. That and I should have been checking my emails for charges. I then ask her how much do I owe. She told me $8000.00. I was shocked. $6765.00 in violation fees. I then told her I would like to pay the total toll amount, but she said she can't waive the violation fee and that I would have pay the full amount. She further intimidated me by saying that the total amount was about to be sent to collections if I don't pay soon. In frustration I had to use a credit card and pay the full amount 8092.50. They even have stipulation about suspending your registration if you don't pay up. What have our democracy come to, when hard working tax paying New Yorkers are being treated like common criminals by those we support.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

What have we become? How can you forward violations to collection company when you cannot prove the notice was SENT! Next, where and what is the GRACE period for the violations before it goes to collection... a day! Lastly, if E-Z Pass holders are volunteering to call your customer service dept just to check if there are violation attached with their license plates (b/c no notices was EVER sent or received) TAKE THE MONEY!!! Nobody has time to call crooked collection company! What a JOKE! SEE you in court b/c a class settlement cannot happen any SOONER!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

They forced me to change account due to cashless tolls. In application I listed plans that I had. They ignored it and did not add PASI plan. As a result I was overcharged about 300$. When I called they restored PASI plan as of that day and started investigation. Then I received a letter stating that they can't refund my money. I wrote letter with copies of my application where I listed my old plans, but they just ignore it. Should I go to court?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I traveled to NY in September from Connecticut and never received a bill for the cashless tolls. In February I was charged $17 plus $200 in fees as a violation. This is my first notification of the tolls and I received it over 120 days after the event. They claim they don't have my address on file at the DMV even though the DMV has repeatedly sent me mail in the past regarding the yearly tax I have to pay on my vehicle. Furthermore, I went through a cashless toll in MA and they had no problem sending the bill to my house. I honestly believe that E-Z Pass willingly delayed sending out my toll in order to collect a violation fee. I was robbed and I'm so disappointed in the NY government and E-Z pass. I wish the worst on whoever came up with this system and can't wait for a class action lawsuit to be brought against this organization.

E-Z Pass Company Information