1.06/5
Based on 114 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

New England

520 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

What is going on with their Automatic Replenishment Amounts? This reminds me of my time living in Communist Cuba. If I want to put $25 dollars as an automatic replenishment amount, why in the world these people need to go ahead and impose a $255 dollars replenishment amount? Why force clients to such high amounts??? This is tyrannical. This is shameless. I am the one who decides how much my automatic replenishment will be, not the government! This is unsettling.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have business tolls showing up on weekend where I travel to NY from NJ during the week. It is affecting my integrity of my routing reports and reimbursement at work. I was told that is impossible, someone must have been driving my car on 7/21/18 and 7/22/18. I never left my house on 7/21 and 7/22 I was at a picnic for my good friend's birthday 15 minutes from my home. I never drove over the Verrazano bridge on that date, in addition to other tolls. Meanwhile, I am missing tolls from 7/19/18, which I will not be reimburse for and I could be told that I will not be reimbursed for mileage because the tolls do not match my travels. I am told that it will be reviewed in 7-10 business days and it is most likely I will be told that I am responsible for the tolls and that my transponder went through those tolls at the time recorded. This is impossible.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2018

How do I get two bills so far apart from each other, when they are from the same day? This second bill I'm paying (I should say trying to pay, more on that later) already has added fees and it's before the due date. The website is the slowest thing I've ever encountered, I clicked on pay toll, looked up consumer reports, created an account and started writing this before the next screen loaded. I tried to call, the phone system is not good. I kept typing in numbers, and it kept rejecting me, I typed every number I could find on this paper and nothing, it kicked me out for too many attempts! (come on, I'm trying to give you money, you want money don't you?)

It seems to me, and I don't think I'm going too far out on the scam theory that they are just trying to get everyone to buy an E-Z Pass to avoid dealing with this hassle. I don't understand how a company can be rated so low and nothing is being done about it. I clicked on "pay toll" five minutes ago and the page hasn't loaded yet. You would think with all the late fees they could get a pretty decent server and full time IT help. Update: "Invalid Session" error, how do I pay this bill???

Original review: July 28, 2018

Months ago, (March or April) I called and changed commuter plan since I was going over a different bridge. The agent confirmed she closed down the Delaware Memorial Bridge plan and enrolled me into the Commodore Barry plan, which would refund $18 the next month if I used the bridge 18 times. I didn’t see the refund and called a few weeks ago and was told the agent did enroll me properly when I first called and their system still viewed me as using the Delaware Memorial. She said she would cancel it and put a request in to correct and refund the 2 months. Today I received an email indicating the request was denied. I called E-Z Pass and a young lady with a bad attitude answered. I was already livid for having to waste more time over this and her attitude just got worse. Ultimately, she saw that E-Z Pass messed up and put another request in but she was HORRIBLE and so rude.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I got a bill for $17. They cannot find my online payment. So here I am a month later with an $864 bill which they are telling me I need to prove I paid. My anxiety level is already sky-high. This is disgusting! How on Earth can they be allowed to do this to us? If anyone knows what I can do please let me know because If I don't pay it within 14 days, they say it will go to collections. I have been working on my credit for many many many months. I am beyond disgusted right now!!! I guess I'm going to have to lawyer up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: July 26, 2018

E-Z-PASS charges Motorcycles 90% of the regular toll. This is a Ripoff because motorcycles are less than half the size and have only 2 wheels and are better for the environment! Even Carpoolers pay less! Where are the motorcycle lobbyists and manufacturers? If they care about us their customers they would do something about it. I ride a Vespa scooter and feel ripped off anytime I cross these bridges!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I can't believe our government endorses this program. I rarely drive in the Northeast, and I was driving a new vehicle South after picking it up. Getting a feel for the toll system can be confusing, especially since the toll system can't take credit cards. If you unwittingly drive through a toll station, you don't simply get a notification of the charge to pay. Rather, the FIRST notice you get will have a $25 or $50 surcharge added on for administrative fees. It is extremely upsetting to get this type of unreasonable and unexpected charge from an organization representing the government. The only bright point is that when you finally get a person on the phone, they are very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, I feel certain they have such friendly service to help avoid group lawsuits over extortion-like administrative fees delivered to well-meaning drivers. In my case, I responded to the first fee I got immediately by calling and paying over the phone. A month later I received an unexpected notice about another toll with a large "administrative fee". I had already paid this toll via check, but I had to waste valuable time preparing my dispute claim. I hope this will be the last of my dealings with the Turnpike Authority, but I have a feeling they are going to nag for a long time into the future no matter what I do. Every human I've dealt with in person has been very pleasant, but I feel certain these fees were set by people in authority who are trying to get away with charging whatever they can, regardless of what is fair and just.

Original review: July 15, 2018

A month ago, I got a notice in the mail saying that I owe $105.00 for unpaid tolls, which I hadn't known anything about until then. I called the Thruway Authority and spoke with a woman who claimed she can reduce the amount to just $15.00 as long as I pay it by July 13. This same person said that if I don't want to use a debit/credit card, I can send her a money order. That made me very uncomfortable. So early on July 13 before 5 am, I went onto their collection agency website, and paid $20.00.

I even sent an email saying, that I had paid $20.00 towards the $15.00 that I was told I owed. Thought nothing of it, went about my business that morning. I got a call back from the same woman that I initially spoke with, and she said that since I didn't call HER and make that payment, NOW I owe another $50.00! Are you kidding me! They aren't getting another dime out of me! PERIOD! Definitely going to be talking with a lawyer to see if there's something that can be done - like sue this person!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have 1 E-Z Pass. On occasion I use said transponder in three different vehicles. E-Z Pass has been charging my account even when I have paid cash when I don't have the transponder in the other vehicles! I was told by customer service that they charge the account by plate number whether cash is paid or not! So E-Z Pass is collecting money twice. This practice seems absolutely unfair and improper!!

Original review: July 10, 2018

I had E-Z Pass tag that they said was read but no funds in the account. I told them that I get it automatically deducted from my account so there is no issues with funds. It turns out they are calling from a debt in 2015! WHY am I finding about this now - and now I have to pay FINES that are over 10 times the toll amount! I call E-Z Pass and they tell me to call the collection company and deal with them. I WANT TO PAY THE TOLL! Why am I finding out about this now from 2015?

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve been treated unfairly with toll violations that make no sense. They are ripping people off!! I paid every toll and still they want to charge a $50 admin fee but they also use tolls by mail? What a joke. I refuse to pay their crooked system.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I never received a bill for the toll until recently. I have a bill for $18 in tolls which I agree to pay. However I have administrative fees of $150 for a bill I never received until recently. I will not pay the $150 fee for their mistake. I will continue to appeal the outrageous fee. Don’t know why this is legal, this is basically extortion. What’s funny is I am conveniently signed up with UPS and I receive emails on what mail I have coming into my mailbox and I have received nothing from them and neither can they indicate what date they sent the “notices”.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I barely travel where there are people-less tolls or overhead tolls but every time I have, I always pay the toll upon receipt of the toll by mail. As recently as June 16th 2018 I paid the last one I got for $6. Apparently, I had an outstanding toll by mail dating back to Dec 2017, yet every one I received after was paid and not once on their site while logging in to pay the toll did it show I owed a bill from over 6 months ago. Yet two days later I receive a "Notice of Debt" regarding this $5 toll which was now $105.00. This is a RIP-OFF scam, how is it I could go 7 months paying every toll by mail I received and not once on their website nor by paper was I aware of this past bill, now it's in collections.

Please bring back the people tolls so that we can pay right there and not have to be ripped off by these scam artist. I wish I knew where all these ripoff tolls are so I can avoid them every chance I get and hopefully send a message to these scam artist that this will not be tolerated moving forward. So disappointed that there is no one to help us, we are just liable because these thieves can get away with taking us for our hard earned money. Shame on you NY! As a New Yorker my whole life, it's clearer now why I left and will not be returning!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I thought that getting an E-Z Pass was going to be a good and fast way to travel and see my son and my granddaughters, but it was the worst nightmare ever. I registered the E-Z Pass and of course I entered my information of my bank account but after a month or two, I started to get bills with crazy fines, hundreds of dollars. I called them, they said that the bank refused to pay. I called the bank, they said they will never refused, and I have funds in my accounts, there is no reason for it. Now I sent them a letter, I will post a follow up review after I have the respond.

Original review: June 13, 2018

As others have reported, I had my transponder in my vehicle which did not pick up going through 5 $1 tolls (total of $5). I received a surprise bill from a collections agency claiming I owe $155. (Each $1 toll had a $30 fine). I called E-Z Pass to straighten the situation out, give them my account info, etc. They claimed that they sent a violation notice for each of the 5 fines... I verified my home address to which they claim they received them back as "return to sender". Impossible. I still live at said address with my father, neither of us have received the fines and we were able to get the collection agency's letter (funny how that works). Plus, we have an E-Z Pass account. Why would we skip out on $5 that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED TO OUR ACCOUNT. E-Z Pass sent the case to a collection agency who was "unsure" if this was going to impact credit reports and suggested I pay the violation as quickly as possible to prevent it.

I paid the tolls and violations and still submitted a dispute. Customer service agents (including supervisor) are nasty. Would not listen to anything I had to say on the phone. Tried to explain that I have an account, transponder failed on multiple attempts (to which they could see that I take the same bridge every day Monday-Friday for work purposes). I never received claimed violations and asked how they were sent... regular mail. Not certified, no signature, and I sure as hell did not send 5 violations back as return to sender. I mean... come on. I have no problem paying the tolls as I have for the past 7 years with my account in perfect standing. I can't believe I was forced to pay $150 in violation fees.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I am very disgusted with E-Z Pass. I have received a surprise bill in the amount of $329.00. According to them, they’ve sent me the original bills but I never received them. I have noticed the ticket number is the same for three different dates when it should be different numbers.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Since I have been traveling back and forth between New York and Jersey we added my car to my wife's expands. We would notice a charge to the account and I was still received a bill. The charges go through sometimes weeks after. There was no set schedule. It was so frustrating. Calling was always a nightmare!!! Rude apathetic people! Fines 100 $. Are they out of their minds? Disgusting company and now they're a monopoly. Who voted for this and more important who is getting rich off the backs of the common man right up there with the court system. DMV and all the others that are making sure that you are threatened into submission. Clearly they have their hands in the pockets of the politicians!!! Shame shame shame.

Original review: May 19, 2018

As many people have already said, I never received the original bill but somehow the fine reaches me no problem and in the past after I've paid the bill I still get unpaid bill notifications. I have tried numerous times to sign up for E-Z Pass and after going thru the whole process get an error message ": PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER" Typical government bureaucratic mismanaged. Waste of time and tax dollars!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I live in New Jersey but on 11/20/2018 we had a business invitation at Citi Fied in Queens NY. As probably many people we didn't know their tolls had been removed. I was waiting on the notice on the mail in order to pay, but I never received anything until last April 2018 when I got a pre collection notice. I contacted E-Z Pass and I was told that all I needed to do was filled out the bottom of the violation so my E-Z Pass could be charge for the $17.00. I follow the instructions but I sent everything certified **. This information was deliver on 04/11/2018 @ 7:21 am. Today I got a collection notice for $217.00. I am calling E-Z Pass. They are stating that they never got the information and that the only way to resolve this problem is for me to pay the whole amount. I am willing to pay the $17.00 but I never received the emails they claimed they were sent to ** until the letter on 04/05/2018. Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this matter.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I called to cancel my account a few months ago and paid any outstanding fees directly to handled by customer service rep. I was assured that the account was closed. Today I called because I am still getting mail to my old address, which indicates acct number. I asked to please completely close out acct. They are telling me that I have violations from 2012 and that acct cannot be closed. The rep was extremely rude and frustrated. I then spoke with a floor supervisor who told me that if I pay $16.00 violation fees then they would close the account. I said no because I’m sure I have no outstanding fees. All he offered was for me to call the violations team directly.

So it seems to me that there is a huge communications inter departmental issues with this company. Due to the fact that I have not received any mails from violations team, yet they will not close my account. The company needs to do some serious customer service training with their rude and unruly misinformed staff. I’m glad that I moved out of state and will no longer require their unprofessional and disorganized service.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have been charged hundreds of dollars on late fees for tolls in which I have never received the original bill in the first place. When E-Z Pass customer service is called they have blamed it to the US Postal office to your email provider but there is no accountability on their end. Unlike NYC Gov parking violations, one can simply put their license plate and look up the bill, E-Z Pass makes it that you must wait for the initial bill which carries the violation number with the notice. That initial bill never arrives but conveniently the bill with the late fee violation always does. I have prepaid my tolls and still the bills with the late fees arrives. There should be more control on E-Z Pass system given that there is basically no other way to pay the tolls than using them. Those tactics are causing people like myself an unfair amount of money.

Original review: April 30, 2018

When we sign up we acknowedge "Whenever my prepaid toll balance decreases to or below the replenishment point specific to my Account, the New Jersey E-Z Pass Customer Service Center is authorized to charge my credit card. I am aware that my replenishment and threshold amounts will vary. By Clicking SUBMIT, I authorize these transactions."

What I SUBMIT is this is E-Z Pass replenishment program is designed to only increase and never decrease automatically. As a result of a singular and irregular increase in activity (e.g., vacation period) significant increases to the customer's replenishment amounts do occur. There seems to be no simple process (online) for the customer to reduce this amount. Clearly there is a significant financial benefit for any company to hold on to large sums of consumer's money. It should be the responsibility of the Company to have their program at least quarterly evaluate usage and reduce the replenishment automatically. This would be a fair a reasonable request.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been robbed countless times even if I send my payment the very next day I go through the toll. They still send me a bill with a late fee. There is no one to complain to about this. They do it on purpose. The supervisor is never there but useless anyway the rare occasion she is. SOMEONE IS DIGGING IN THIS FUND. My experience is that when something government is run like a mafia operation is that there's a secret fat cat here. My take is Cuomo. But then again it's a dice roll as to who is getting a Ferrari out of this fund.

Original review: April 24, 2018

It’s horrible, I never received a bill nor letters until the bill was high, charging me a violation for an E-Z Pass I bought but I never activated. I called and they advice me to write a letter explaining the situation and to ask the fees to be waived, to wait so that way I could be charged just for tolls $8.50, and I did so, 4 months later finally a letter as their reply arrived stating my bill had been send to collections and I called again and they said they no longer had control over that; that I had to get in touch with Collections. I called Collections, but they said since is over $3,000, so they said the I do not qualify for adjustments, agreements nor discounts.

The total to pay they said, "It is $7,995," I can’t sleep, I can’t think straight, I don’t know what to do now, and to top it all off, now another letter arrived and It’s from collections, they are on the lookout for any income entering my household, that will be taken from me to cover for debt. I need help!!! God and I are in the fight with this, I know that god will help me!!?? Only god can help me now!!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I had the same experience with most people, never received the first letter but then received the notice of violation with violation fee $100. I just want share one possible way for you to avoid the violation fee and further collection even if you dispute. You can create a New York E-Z Pass account online, remember, must be New York. Then you can see 'resolve the violation' when you get on the page of violation fee. Then with your New York E-Z Pass, your violation fee will be dismissed. Hope everyone can avoid the violation fee.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Forget the Mob, the biggest criminals in NY is the MTA. I get a bill for $56 in tolls and $600 in fines for not paying the tolls. I never received any prior bills, just one. I am 78 years old, live on Social Security, Medicare. I have Lupus and Lung Cancer and have a 25 year old car that is in worse shape than I am. I use the car to go to the doctor over the bridge. I have no money other than for food and these pieces of dirt want $600. You can all drop dead, doing this to old people who have nothing so fat slobs who sit in offices get a fatter paycheck like their waist. I hope you all go to prison, I cannot and will not ever pay.

Original review: April 16, 2018

If I could rate my experience as no stars...I would. I received a letter in the mail, "NOTICES OF VIOLATION ENFORCEMENT ACTION" claiming I ran a toll without paying. I can assure you I paid if they went and checked the cameras and the speed of my car. They are billing me to pay the toll AGAIN so I contacted them and spoke to representatives to only be told I need to go out of my way and get a lawyer to go court and dismiss this. That is the only way they are willing to review cameras. They are STEALING money from me because if they check the cameras or even the speed of the car, I did in fact pay the toll. They also claim they are sending a letter of appeal and will notify me in thirty days but to know if they deny it I will have to pay the increased violation fee. How is their faulty tolls my problem? This is ridiculous.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wish I didn't have to give any stars. The MTA as a whole is the biggest racket, and I can't help but liken them to organized crime. Extorting riders daily, and we have to submit to their demands or we can't get to our jobs to feed our families. Cashless toll is their new racket. There are so many scenarios that make this method of toll collection wrong. $100 administration fees, I know MTA workers that do absolutely nothing for a whopping paycheck and you want to steal my hard earned money that was already used to take down the toll booths and decrease available jobs only to rob it again for going through your toll bridge.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Site down, thus can't check billing. 2 months ago the phones were faulty... called the customer service number several times but it keeps telling me that no one is available and it cuts you off. This happened for over 4 weeks. It's like no one is willing to help!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Always had my E-Z Pass set up on auto pay, BEFORE this "Cashless Tolls" nonsense. Never had a problem. Now with this cashless tolls nonsense, they have cameras they could take pictures of your license plates but they don't have scanners that can read the transponder between 40 to 50 miles an hour. So now all the tolls pile up and to add insult injury they charge for these nonsense fees that is basically robbery. I don't know how we allow New York State E-Z Pass, port authority and the MTA to get away with this!!! This cashless tolls systems is a disaster.

It was better when they had gates because the transponder would get read and a toll will get paid right there and then not pile up because this new cashless toll system can read my transponder going between 40 to 50 miles an hour. My checking account got charged $440!!! Over 5 days!!! And all I have is 1 E-Z Pass!!! All I do is cross the Whitestone bridge!! I was getting charged $85 every 2 weeks using the Whitestone bridge 5 days a week, where does $440!!?? Come from??? I don't use any other toll roads!!! This system had to be revised!!! Or class action lawsuit!!! Because this spell straight out SCAM and the hardworking people are getting raped by the state and big government!

Not sure about E-Z Pass?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

E-Z Pass Company Information

www.e-zpassny.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business