1.03/5
Based on 117 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

New England

508 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

I barely travel where there are people-less tolls or overhead tolls but every time I have, I always pay the toll upon receipt of the toll by mail. As recently as June 16th 2018 I paid the last one I got for $6. Apparently, I had an outstanding toll by mail dating back to Dec 2017, yet every one I received after was paid and not once on their site while logging in to pay the toll did it show I owed a bill from over 6 months ago. Yet two days later I receive a "Notice of Debt" regarding this $5 toll which was now $105.00. This is a RIP-OFF scam, how is it I could go 7 months paying every toll by mail I received and not once on their website nor by paper was I aware of this past bill, now it's in collections.

Please bring back the people tolls so that we can pay right there and not have to be ripped off by these scam artist. I wish I knew where all these ripoff tolls are so I can avoid them every chance I get and hopefully send a message to these scam artist that this will not be tolerated moving forward. So disappointed that there is no one to help us, we are just liable because these thieves can get away with taking us for our hard earned money. Shame on you NY! As a New Yorker my whole life, it's clearer now why I left and will not be returning!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I thought that getting an E-Z Pass was going to be a good and fast way to travel and see my son and my granddaughters, but it was the worst nightmare ever. I registered the E-Z Pass and of course I entered my information of my bank account but after a month or two, I started to get bills with crazy fines, hundreds of dollars. I called them, they said that the bank refused to pay. I called the bank, they said they will never refused, and I have funds in my accounts, there is no reason for it. Now I sent them a letter, I will post a follow up review after I have the respond.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

As others have reported, I had my transponder in my vehicle which did not pick up going through 5 $1 tolls (total of $5). I received a surprise bill from a collections agency claiming I owe $155. (Each $1 toll had a $30 fine). I called E-Z Pass to straighten the situation out, give them my account info, etc. They claimed that they sent a violation notice for each of the 5 fines... I verified my home address to which they claim they received them back as "return to sender". Impossible. I still live at said address with my father, neither of us have received the fines and we were able to get the collection agency's letter (funny how that works). Plus, we have an E-Z Pass account. Why would we skip out on $5 that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHARGED TO OUR ACCOUNT. E-Z Pass sent the case to a collection agency who was "unsure" if this was going to impact credit reports and suggested I pay the violation as quickly as possible to prevent it.

I paid the tolls and violations and still submitted a dispute. Customer service agents (including supervisor) are nasty. Would not listen to anything I had to say on the phone. Tried to explain that I have an account, transponder failed on multiple attempts (to which they could see that I take the same bridge every day Monday-Friday for work purposes). I never received claimed violations and asked how they were sent... regular mail. Not certified, no signature, and I sure as hell did not send 5 violations back as return to sender. I mean... come on. I have no problem paying the tolls as I have for the past 7 years with my account in perfect standing. I can't believe I was forced to pay $150 in violation fees.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I am very disgusted with E-Z Pass. I have received a surprise bill in the amount of $329.00. According to them, they’ve sent me the original bills but I never received them. I have noticed the ticket number is the same for three different dates when it should be different numbers.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Since I have been traveling back and forth between New York and Jersey we added my car to my wife's expands. We would notice a charge to the account and I was still received a bill. The charges go through sometimes weeks after. There was no set schedule. It was so frustrating. Calling was always a nightmare!!! Rude apathetic people! Fines 100 $. Are they out of their minds? Disgusting company and now they're a monopoly. Who voted for this and more important who is getting rich off the backs of the common man right up there with the court system. DMV and all the others that are making sure that you are threatened into submission. Clearly they have their hands in the pockets of the politicians!!! Shame shame shame.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: May 19, 2018

As many people have already said, I never received the original bill but somehow the fine reaches me no problem and in the past after I've paid the bill I still get unpaid bill notifications. I have tried numerous times to sign up for E-Z Pass and after going thru the whole process get an error message ": PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER" Typical government bureaucratic mismanaged. Waste of time and tax dollars!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I live in New Jersey but on 11/20/2018 we had a business invitation at Citi Fied in Queens NY. As probably many people we didn't know their tolls had been removed. I was waiting on the notice on the mail in order to pay, but I never received anything until last April 2018 when I got a pre collection notice. I contacted E-Z Pass and I was told that all I needed to do was filled out the bottom of the violation so my E-Z Pass could be charge for the $17.00. I follow the instructions but I sent everything certified **. This information was deliver on 04/11/2018 @ 7:21 am. Today I got a collection notice for $217.00. I am calling E-Z Pass. They are stating that they never got the information and that the only way to resolve this problem is for me to pay the whole amount. I am willing to pay the $17.00 but I never received the emails they claimed they were sent to ** until the letter on 04/05/2018. Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this matter.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I called to cancel my account a few months ago and paid any outstanding fees directly to handled by customer service rep. I was assured that the account was closed. Today I called because I am still getting mail to my old address, which indicates acct number. I asked to please completely close out acct. They are telling me that I have violations from 2012 and that acct cannot be closed. The rep was extremely rude and frustrated. I then spoke with a floor supervisor who told me that if I pay $16.00 violation fees then they would close the account. I said no because I’m sure I have no outstanding fees. All he offered was for me to call the violations team directly.

So it seems to me that there is a huge communications inter departmental issues with this company. Due to the fact that I have not received any mails from violations team, yet they will not close my account. The company needs to do some serious customer service training with their rude and unruly misinformed staff. I’m glad that I moved out of state and will no longer require their unprofessional and disorganized service.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have been charged hundreds of dollars on late fees for tolls in which I have never received the original bill in the first place. When E-Z Pass customer service is called they have blamed it to the US Postal office to your email provider but there is no accountability on their end. Unlike NYC Gov parking violations, one can simply put their license plate and look up the bill, E-Z Pass makes it that you must wait for the initial bill which carries the violation number with the notice. That initial bill never arrives but conveniently the bill with the late fee violation always does. I have prepaid my tolls and still the bills with the late fees arrives. There should be more control on E-Z Pass system given that there is basically no other way to pay the tolls than using them. Those tactics are causing people like myself an unfair amount of money.

Original review: April 30, 2018

When we sign up we acknowedge "Whenever my prepaid toll balance decreases to or below the replenishment point specific to my Account, the New Jersey E-Z Pass Customer Service Center is authorized to charge my credit card. I am aware that my replenishment and threshold amounts will vary. By Clicking SUBMIT, I authorize these transactions."

What I SUBMIT is this is E-Z Pass replenishment program is designed to only increase and never decrease automatically. As a result of a singular and irregular increase in activity (e.g., vacation period) significant increases to the customer's replenishment amounts do occur. There seems to be no simple process (online) for the customer to reduce this amount. Clearly there is a significant financial benefit for any company to hold on to large sums of consumer's money. It should be the responsibility of the Company to have their program at least quarterly evaluate usage and reduce the replenishment automatically. This would be a fair a reasonable request.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been robbed countless times even if I send my payment the very next day I go through the toll. They still send me a bill with a late fee. There is no one to complain to about this. They do it on purpose. The supervisor is never there but useless anyway the rare occasion she is. SOMEONE IS DIGGING IN THIS FUND. My experience is that when something government is run like a mafia operation is that there's a secret fat cat here. My take is Cuomo. But then again it's a dice roll as to who is getting a Ferrari out of this fund.

Original review: April 24, 2018

It’s horrible, I never received a bill nor letters until the bill was high, charging me a violation for an E-Z Pass I bought but I never activated. I called and they advice me to write a letter explaining the situation and to ask the fees to be waived, to wait so that way I could be charged just for tolls $8.50, and I did so, 4 months later finally a letter as their reply arrived stating my bill had been send to collections and I called again and they said they no longer had control over that; that I had to get in touch with Collections. I called Collections, but they said since is over $3,000, so they said the I do not qualify for adjustments, agreements nor discounts.

The total to pay they said, "It is $7,995," I can’t sleep, I can’t think straight, I don’t know what to do now, and to top it all off, now another letter arrived and It’s from collections, they are on the lookout for any income entering my household, that will be taken from me to cover for debt. I need help!!! God and I are in the fight with this, I know that god will help me!!?? Only god can help me now!!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I had the same experience with most people, never received the first letter but then received the notice of violation with violation fee $100. I just want share one possible way for you to avoid the violation fee and further collection even if you dispute. You can create a New York E-Z Pass account online, remember, must be New York. Then you can see 'resolve the violation' when you get on the page of violation fee. Then with your New York E-Z Pass, your violation fee will be dismissed. Hope everyone can avoid the violation fee.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Forget the Mob, the biggest criminals in NY is the MTA. I get a bill for $56 in tolls and $600 in fines for not paying the tolls. I never received any prior bills, just one. I am 78 years old, live on Social Security, Medicare. I have Lupus and Lung Cancer and have a 25 year old car that is in worse shape than I am. I use the car to go to the doctor over the bridge. I have no money other than for food and these pieces of dirt want $600. You can all drop dead, doing this to old people who have nothing so fat slobs who sit in offices get a fatter paycheck like their waist. I hope you all go to prison, I cannot and will not ever pay.

Original review: April 16, 2018

If I could rate my experience as no stars...I would. I received a letter in the mail, "NOTICES OF VIOLATION ENFORCEMENT ACTION" claiming I ran a toll without paying. I can assure you I paid if they went and checked the cameras and the speed of my car. They are billing me to pay the toll AGAIN so I contacted them and spoke to representatives to only be told I need to go out of my way and get a lawyer to go court and dismiss this. That is the only way they are willing to review cameras. They are STEALING money from me because if they check the cameras or even the speed of the car, I did in fact pay the toll. They also claim they are sending a letter of appeal and will notify me in thirty days but to know if they deny it I will have to pay the increased violation fee. How is their faulty tolls my problem? This is ridiculous.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wish I didn't have to give any stars. The MTA as a whole is the biggest racket, and I can't help but liken them to organized crime. Extorting riders daily, and we have to submit to their demands or we can't get to our jobs to feed our families. Cashless toll is their new racket. There are so many scenarios that make this method of toll collection wrong. $100 administration fees, I know MTA workers that do absolutely nothing for a whopping paycheck and you want to steal my hard earned money that was already used to take down the toll booths and decrease available jobs only to rob it again for going through your toll bridge.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Site down, thus can't check billing. 2 months ago the phones were faulty... called the customer service number several times but it keeps telling me that no one is available and it cuts you off. This happened for over 4 weeks. It's like no one is willing to help!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Always had my E-Z Pass set up on auto pay, BEFORE this "Cashless Tolls" nonsense. Never had a problem. Now with this cashless tolls nonsense, they have cameras they could take pictures of your license plates but they don't have scanners that can read the transponder between 40 to 50 miles an hour. So now all the tolls pile up and to add insult injury they charge for these nonsense fees that is basically robbery. I don't know how we allow New York State E-Z Pass, port authority and the MTA to get away with this!!! This cashless tolls systems is a disaster.

It was better when they had gates because the transponder would get read and a toll will get paid right there and then not pile up because this new cashless toll system can read my transponder going between 40 to 50 miles an hour. My checking account got charged $440!!! Over 5 days!!! And all I have is 1 E-Z Pass!!! All I do is cross the Whitestone bridge!! I was getting charged $85 every 2 weeks using the Whitestone bridge 5 days a week, where does $440!!?? Come from??? I don't use any other toll roads!!! This system had to be revised!!! Or class action lawsuit!!! Because this spell straight out SCAM and the hardworking people are getting raped by the state and big government!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I moved across the country back in November. Today I received in the mail a collection notice from MTA bridges and tunnels E-Z Pass for $68.70. I know absolutely nothing about these charges. I call up E-Z Pass and speak with i’ll customer service representative. She tells me the E-Z Pass charges were from a transporter of my vehicle to my new location. I explained to her that that was a huge truck with many other vehicles on it. She then tells me that I would have to follow up with the transporter and have him pay it. And then follow up with the collection agency.

I requested to speak to supervisor. A Cesar who says he’s a supervisor got on the phone. He told me the exact same thing. When I pushed him for answers on why I would have to go after my transporter for the E-Z Pass system asked Accidentally picking up my E-Z Pass he told me it’s not his problem. I would have to get the money from the transporter.

I don’t understand. I never should’ve been charged to begin with. They have camera systems for every E-Z Pass. They can easily see it was not my vehicle that was driving, it was being transported to another state. I am furious. They don’t want to help in any way. How did this become my problem. Now I have to deal with the transporter who had nothing to do with this and Transworld Systems Collection agency who never should have received this in the first place.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My issue with the new E-Z Pass system is that you HAVE to purchase the equipment in order to avoid "invoice and administrative fees" for E-Z Pass having to take the time to mail you an invoice. I am not sure about everybody else, but I feel this is corrupt and I feel people are being abused by this system. Here is why I feel this way: E-Z Pass has decided to remove the physical toll booths where we had a choice to be able to actually pay our travel fees (as we were traveling); and with taking away the toll booths, they so cleverly also took away their having to pay overhead, so guess who makes out... A LOT? They no longer pay overhead or maintenance on tollbooths, AND they get to charge us a fee on top of it. How is this legal??? I am really very disappointed and saddened with the way this country allows state government to take advantage of hardworking people.

Original review: April 4, 2018

THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL. Someone need to look into this. I received a $600 late fees bill! I never received the original bill! This is so frustrating. I been going back and forth with TOLL NY since last July 2017, but they won't listen! I paid what I owed and disputing the late fees because again, I never received the bill!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I moved to Springfield Mass October of 2017. It was at this time that all of the toll booths were coming down. Like someone else wrote here I was waiting for my pay by plate bills. I never received any of them as well and now I'm being forced to pay $800 for tolls that are less than two or three dollars. I appealed their decision for this amount that I owe. They took three weeks to give me an answer. When I finally got the answer it was pretty much of thinly veiled threat and if I didn't pay it the fees will continue to go up. This is ridiculous. This is taking rent money from myself and my children and food off of my table. Not only do I have to pay these exorbitant fees my daughter who just finish paying her car off also has to pay over $700 in fees. Why is the state of Massachusetts taking money from people who could least afford it. There has to be something done. A class action suit would be in order. I am so disgusted!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I see everyone is dealing with the same issue, I never got the toll bill and the 1 time I did the site was down, 25 days later $8.25 is now with a $100 late fee, then I got a letter with 3 tolls in the amount of $355. $300 in late fees for 3 tolls but I never got the letter and how does 100 in late fees make any sense. This is a scam.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Cashless tolls are a total scam! I drove through two--not denying that--but instead of receiving a toll bill, I get a notice of violation that charges me the toll plus $200 because I "failed to respond to prior toll bills". Here's the thing, I never received a bill!!! How can I fail to respond to something I never got! As if the MTA doesn't already screw people out of their money with the subway system, now there's this BS.

Original review: March 29, 2018

UNACCEPTABLE! CORRUPT E-Z PASS NY MUST BE STOPPED!!! Today I received a letter where $23 dollars of due tolls magically translates to $273 dollars of theft to the citizens of the state of New York. How in the world can I be demanded to pay $250 dollars of "violation fees" when I never asked the governor to sign into law cashless tolls? Why? I am an E-Z Pass tag holder and instead of transferring whatever amount I am supposed to be charged because of crossing NYC bridges and tunnels, they choose to send me to a collection agency in less than 4 months since the day I passed through the tolls.

Why are these toll crossing dues being perceived as tickets or violations? Why charge me $70 dollars per month because your failed system could not read my tag? Two of my close friends got a letter in the mail just like me today and they owe up to $5,000 dollars! on toll balances that did not exceed $80 dollars!!! This is an outraged! And if you call E-Z Pass all they do is tell you that nothing can be done because the debt is now in the hands of debt collectors. Meaning that now your credit will get ruined. NO THANKS! I rather wait in NYC traffic to pay my tolls in cash.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Something has to be done immediately! Back in September of 2017 I came to NY for a funeral. This was my first time in NY in over 15 years. And when I was last in NY 15 years ago I didn’t even have my own car. I unfortunately wasn’t aware of the “cashless tolls” when I drove into NY last September. I was told by a worker that was walking across the toll lane that I would be billed for the toll. 4-5 months later I finally get a bill for over 100.00. Of course I called and got absolutely no resolution. The guy just kept telling me that I was in the wrong and if that’s what it says that I owe then that’s what I owe.

Let’s not take into account that I wasn’t aware of the cashless toll. And let’s not take into account that it took me 4-5 months to get a bill. He said, "Well I don’t know why you didn’t get a bill." Customer service is as sorry as their cashless toll system. I can’t give these people anymore monetary. I have paid the bill once and I’m still getting bills. They don’t see in the system that I paid. Silly me paid with a money order and having it tracked is also a nightmare but I’m working on it.

Original review: March 22, 2018

So I too received two orange envelopes in the mail and wondered wth is this. One bill for $5 with $100 fee and the other $6 with $40 fee. A couple of things, first, DON'T PAY THE FEES! If people keep paying the fees, this scam will continue. Pay the toll that you owe. On the back of the toll is a section for you to dispute the toll. Write that you didn't receive the bill, which is true. Then mail that in. They were offering amnesty for Cuomo bridge but that stopped.

Call: The Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge Violation Amnesty program has ended. To resolve your outstanding Thruway Violations please call 1-800-333-8655. Perhaps they can help you. Contacted the Attorney General for NY, Eric Schneiderman and complain. On twitter, you will find David Carlucci, a member of the New York State Senate perhaps he can help you. He reached out to me but my two bills were dismissed. Good luck to everyone! If enough of us complain, just maybe they will be held accountable.

Original review: March 20, 2018

This is a horrible. I just paid $1085 which $800 are fees. This can't be right. We need to get this fix. I still own a lot more because they are charging $100 fees for an $8 Midtown toll. Please help me.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Visited NYC from Massachusetts. No way to pay tolls without E-Z Pass now. Attendant told us we would get a bill in the mail. We did get the bill... 2 months later with $100 violation tacked on to each time we cross the bridge! $17 in tolls plus $200 in violations. We followed the dispute instructions and mailed it in. Explained that there was no way for us to know of these changes when we are coming from another state but are happy to pay our tolls. The reply we received was a COLLECTIONS LETTER! We were not negligent. We were prepared to pay our tolls as always. Someone coming from another state will not know of these changes, should be given the opportunity to pay their tolls but SHOULD NOT be forced to pay a violations!! Happy to join a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 19, 2018

When the cashless toll system was just starting on routes we use (MTA Tolls), we were not surprised not to receive bills promptly, figured they were just backed up. We were surprised when we finally got 3 bills with $100 and $50 in fees added! $290 total for 3 tolls.These bills were early 2017. We did receive bills promptly for tolls used later in 2017 and 2018 - which were paid promptly (one did have a $5 fee - not worth arguing about) We were told on the phone that we had to write in to appeal the fees, which we did. I explained that I never got initial bills, asked to have fees waived. The response we received? That we owe the fees because we didn't pay the initial bill! I will continue to dispute these, have no problem paying initial toll, but I should not be penalized for their incompetence.

E-Z Pass Company Information