1.01/5
  • 1 star
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

E-Z Pass

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

453 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

A complete robbery scheme. I will be filing a formal complaint! I used the cashless toll booth in June and October of last year. Sometime in September I tried accessing the website to my June tolls but could not log on. I tried calling tolls by mail and got nowhere. I never received a bill until last month and am being charged an extra $1600 for tolls I never got billed for until December! I have paid my tolls and I am being told I will have to pay the $1600. I refuse!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018
    I have recently received a mail from E-Z Pass requesting that I pay $217 fee immediately because of a $17 ($8.5 * 2) toll fee apparently accrued in October 2017.

In the letter, it says that I have not responded to their prior toll bills requesting payment. (I have not received such in the past). That failure to respond may result in referral to a collection agency or/and imposition of additional fees, suspension of registration, etc. This is a lot like highway robbery; a $200 markup on $17 dollars?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

So I went to NYC 3 times on 2017 from CT and I'm getting all this violation notice for $100 each. Come on. They never send me any notification of this cashless tolls. They are supposed to send the bill right after you pass not like a year later. E-Z PASS IS A COMPLETELY SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

The NY E-Z Pass new cashless system is a scam. I received this final notice of violation of $542.50, when all is due is $42.50. They said this is the final notice and to me this is my first notice. They never sent me a bill before. They waited 6 months to sent me this bill so they can steal extra money from poor commuters like myself. This is completed unfair to us.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

NYC: Several times I have taken the incorrect lane which put me on the George Washington bridge to NJ and I didn't have any cash to pay for the toll. The toll agent told me that they will take a picture of my license plate and bill me via mail. I thought great and no problem until I saw the bill. $50.00, for each violation???!!! WHAT!!!??? This is robbery and unjust. I called the collection company and they said that they are only allowed/able to lower the bill to $30.00. I ended up paying $60.00, to get my name cleared but this is unjust and something needs to be done about this absurd violation fee.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

They never send the original bill and only send inflated bill with addition of several different charges. My original bill was just 8$ and they never sent it. They only sent it after few months with addition of extra amount of 50$ to this. I thought I might have missed it and looked everywhere. Now after looking at these reviews I can tell they just playing games and running scam to get extra money from. I am not going to spare any of these. They are done. Tomorrow on the call it would be worst nightmare and they will make sure they stop doing this. Trust me NY E-Z Pass guys. You are done.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I never received a bill and I got a statement in the mail that I have 400 dollars in fees for crossing the Tappanzee. This is the most disgusting form of greed I have ever seen from anyone. 100 dollar violations for a 5 dollar crossing? If I received the statement, I would have paid immediately. I feel like no matter what we say, it will not matter because it's bigger than we are. I want out of NY, it is a state that just siphons money from your account any way that it can. E-Z Pass and MTA tolls are disgusting.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have taken the NJ E-Z Pass in and I have use for couple of months and gave back the transponder back to them and they are supposed to refund the money back. Even after closing the account they have direct debited money from account and told me that they are gonna give refund back in 30 days. And now it’s almost 100 days and not refunded the money. Please be aware of this company!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

My husband travels the NJ Turnpike every day as a commuter - we dont use credit cards so I make one time payments on the E-Z Pass website with my debit card whenever our account is low or negative, in the past if we got a violation notice, I disputed it and paid the toll from my account balance and the admin fee was waived. Now I get in the mail over 60 violation notices from Oct 2017 (it is now mid Dec) and they say that as of Oct 16th they are no longer waiving the admin fees - so they want me to pay over $2500 in less than 10 days!!! I tried reaching out to a lawyer and he said this rule is so new there are not many who have experience fighting it. I'm ready to fight this no matter what - how dare they charge me $50 per $1.00 missed toll - I've been a paying E-Z Pass customer for over 13 years and I've always paid any missed tolls. Who can help? What can I do?!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

All of a sudden I received a bill saying I own these crooks $130 and no one from the 800# cant help. There was no bill saying I own them x amount of money but a violation bill only. You have to write a letter explaining yourself and if they approve then will wave the administration fees. I am going to report these people to the Better Business because this is ridiculous. I think everyone who had an issue with these ** should report them to the Better Business.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Tappen Zee - This cashless toll by mail is a complete scam. They never send you your original bill. When you finally do see a bill they have already racked on tons of fees. If you try and call it’s also a complete waste of time. I paid a 700 settlement bill to now be told they have no record of it. The constantly threaten me registration when I call to pay a bill. I literally was told we don’t have enough reps to take your call try another time. I proceeded to go online and they are asking for me to put in my billing info without giving me an amount owed!!! How is this legal???!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I cannot believe I am being charged 100.00 per toll of 8.50 for a total of 108.50 for 19 non recorded tolls for more than 1,700.00. You officials must be out of your mind if you even think I would pay that kind of fee. It's absurd. All of us that have been wronged should stand together and file a class action lawsuit against the N.Y. MTA Bridges and Tunnels and E-Z Pass.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I cannot believe this is legal. I knew this would happen when I saw them install these toll-less plazas, it's a beautiful scam. My E-Z Pass fell off the window onto my passenger seat and I did not notice it for three days. I put it back up and figured maybe it scanned and if not they would simply send me an 8$ bill in the mail. Turns out that little slip up cost me SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! These scumbags charge 100$ per violation. How can this be legal??? It's incredible how awful a government and leadership we have that they need to steal from us in order to fund the bridge projects. Unreal. I am furious.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Toll on 267 and i66 robbery!! I have an E-Z pass installed in my car and it set to auto replenish the funds. Since past 2 months after having the positive funds and seeing the green light when I pass the toll on with my E-Z pass, they are deducting my money and sending me violations. Called the customer service, first wait time was almost an hour, finally got someone. They told me to go to hell and pay 300$ in fines when the charges for the toll is 13 bucks. Not sure what to do here. This is total robbery by the toll people. First they take tax money to build these highways then we got to pay the toll and now they have become daytime robbers. Not to mention that customer services is so rude that if you try to have a conversation with them they will hang up on you.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017
    Scam alert! The sign says they will mail you the bill but instead they turn you over to collections and charge an extra $100 per toll across the bridge. E-Z Pass

tolls by mail is either screwed up or a scam. They send violation notices without sending bills. #ezpassscam #ezpassnyscam

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

New Tappan Zee Bridge and new way of making money - rip off!!! I've crossed Tappan Zee Bridge on Nov.22.2017 with my truck + trailer. I should have been charged for 5 axles, but they charged me for 7 axles!!! - The highest rate possible!!! My equipment has only 6 axles, but with one axle on the trailer in upper position, only 5 counts for the toll. I've contacted E-Z Pass about overcharge, but they didn't refund my money. By the way. In less than one hour on the same trip I've crossed Whitestone Bridge and their charge was correct, for 5 axles only.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Delaware E-Z Pass - I got seriously lost on a trip north to Vermont (due to a brain injury) and ended up on both the NJ and NY turnpikes for two tolls each. NJ's office actually takes delight in screwing you. If you don't pay, we turn you over to a collection agency and they will call you over and over even in the middle of the night. (By the way, research online to see what happens if you decide to "screw them back" by paying in pennies.) What do you expect from a state with a fat ** governor who screws his fellow population by closing down roads. Shame that our state and federal governments are now being run by brats, cheaters, liars, molesters, and other filth. I'm not a member of the NRA but I sure can understand why SOME of them need guns.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I took Battery Tunnel in the beginning of this year, and there it clearly says that they will mail the bill! But never received one, instead received a bill with violation $108.00 after about 3 months! Well I was stupid and actually did pay for that! I signed up on Pay Toll Now to pay toll right away to avoid such violation, but they never send any updates neither charges! On 07/22/17 at 6:18pm I took the same tunnel to go to Manhattan. So, after I came back home, right away I logged in to Pay Toll Now and tried to perform transaction, the transaction went through but it was $0.00.

Now, after 5 months later I received a letter saying "I have not responded to prior Toll bills(s)", therefore I will have to pay $8 toll and $100 violation!!! I have never received any bill by mail from them!!! What in the world is this? I am disputing this bill, I have written a letter and attached evidence as well and I will mail it today. This has to be one of the biggest scam ever in NY history and it has to stop! As you can see we are all having the same issues with the E-Z Pass scam in the same fashion! This is the reason why we are asking you for help, please take action. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Just ask Kumo to come here. Take a look for these damn business reviews!!! 40 times $17 charges for Staten Island resident and non stop, have to keep calling up to dispute, even call up, just telling you can't see more than 2 people over the pictures, so ok, let me ask you, how can you see my few months babe in the little baby basket putting at the middle of 2nd row seat from the upper angel?? Are you out of your mind??! And keep wasting my time to call you with 50/50 chance dispute? And your Rep is very rude!!! So E-Z Pass you not give me any goods, you waste my times suppose use on my 2 babes!!! Screw you E-Z Pass and who design the cashless!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

When I went to update my registration yesterday, I noticed that there was a hold placed on my registration because of unpaid toll bills. I remembered receiving a notice about this once before some months back and have simply mistakenly forgot to pay it, as the last time I did attempt to make a payment on it their website was experiencing issues and I could log access my account to make the payment. I wasn't willing to spend an hour over a $3 bill, so I moved on and figured I would pay it later.

Well, I went to pay the bill today so I could process my updated registration, and found that $3 toll bill had increased to *$122.32* as a result of various hidden fees and "civil penalties." I immediately called their support department upon realizing this trying to explain this was just a mistake and to see if I could get the fees waived. The person I talked with was extremely rude to me, said she would only waive $6 from the bill, and when I asked to speak to a supervisor she said there weren't any in and there was nothing else she could do to help me.

I'll be sure to avoid these toll roads from now on. I'd have no problem paying a few dollars in fees for access to them (I was even thinking of joining the Quick Pass for simplicity before, but now you can forget that). Expecting me to pay ~$115 in additional fees over such a simple mistake and saying you're going to block my vehicle registration until I do? This is pretty much literally the definition of extortion.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Someone needs to go to the media about what they are doing! I have been commuting, using the Tappan Zee bridge, a lot this past year. I have been over those bridges around 30 times. Somehow 6 of those times went unpaid for and went out to violation, and then collection after just 4 months? If you have 30 days to pay from the toll date, then they only give you an additional 4 months. Anyway, YES... several were late on payment, but sent out to collection, and they want to charge me 25 times the original toll PLUS the toll. The original toll was $5.00 and are now $105.00 EACH!

I never meant to miss the payments on these few tolls, and didn't intend to forget about them. I went through those toll at least six times AFTER the missed dates, and all were paid for! How were these ones not brought to my attention? Ohhh... well they didn't have my correct address. They weren't sending the "violation" letters to my billing address, nor the one on my registration. Awesome! So I'm expected to spend $600.00?? What collection agency gets 25 TIMES THE ORIGINAL CHARGE!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The Rockaway toll booth and the Midtown Tunnel toll booth have been removed. There is a sign that says "You will be billed by mail." I went to Rockaway and the toll booth had been removed. There was a sign that read "You will be billed by mail", I was billed $8.50 by mail and I paid the ticket. Then I went through the Midtown Tunnel again the toll booth had been removed. I received a $8.50 bill by mail but this time it included a $100 administrative fee because I received two violations within 6 months. There are no toll booths to pay the tolls. I paid the $8.50 bills I received, why should I have to pay $100 administrative fee because you removed the toll booths?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have a passenger van and I have been charged $17. I called in Sept to dispute it, and mailed in registration, and title. I get a letter saying I owe 2,100 in fines plus the 17 per toll, mind you I have 60, more tolls at the 17 rate. My van is clearing a passenger vehicle, and no one wants to help me.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Never once received an email saying that I need to replenish my account... Thought I was signed up for automatic replenishment the whole time... And then every time you go through a cashless toll you pay a $100.00 fee... I don't get that!!! If you leave your E-Z Pass at home that day you pay $8.00 (pay by mail)... If you have it in your car that day you pay $108.00 (with a violation fee)... HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT NOT FRAUD??? How in the world is New York getting away with this??? How is this a thing??? This has to be the biggest scam ever!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

It all started in the spring of 2016. I had to take my disable brother to several dental appointments to replace his dentures in White Plains which lasted several months. I watch channel 12 news which air in the Orange County NY area several times a day. Not once, during 2016 did the news televised the toll booth in Rockland County (Tapan Zee bridge AKA the Mario Cuomo Bridge) would be removed and cash wasn't an option anymore. I never had an E-Z pass account. I rarely left Orange County NY unless I went to see relatives in Manhattan. I would pay the Harriman toll cash in Woodbury NY and take the Thruway to the Palisades Parkway to get to the the George Washington Bridge full service booths.

When we traveled to his appointment we notice for the first time there wasn't a toll booth and a lot of construction located where the toll booth use to be. Confused, we continue over the bridge every other week, we just thought the toll was free. I never received a bill for several months until my daughter moved to the NYC and was no longer living in my 2nd home that I owned. Several orange violations bills in the mailbox when I went to clean the home. After complaining that the address had been changed from my PO box that both vehicles were registered to for many years and the tolls could have been paid. I had proof that the address was changed on the bill and mailed to the wrong address.

After calling my daughter she indicated E-Z pass mention to her in winter of 2016 the previous year that American Express credit card had declined. There wasn't any funds in the e-pass account which cause the violation. She had asked them months before to closed the account. She traded in her car. She had a different vehicle at the time. "Where were the original bills," she asked? When she gave them the address to mail the paper bills they change the address on the account. The original was never mailed. Only violations. When I called American Express they claim there wasn't any charges submitted. I had to call the DMV and speak with Andrea, she was able to resolved everything and changed the registration back to the P.O. Box both vehicles were registered to. $2100 worth of administration fees later without the original bills never received in the first place.

Collection agencies were writing to me because the tolls violations that were sitting in the mailbox at her home w/o our knowledge had never been paid. Her tolls only totaled $85 but the administration fees were over $1300. That is how it all started. After paying over $800 to settle the bill. That should be illegal by the way. Flawed system. I started receiving violations bills for my vehicles because I didn't have an E-Pass account. I started calling around and found out I could not get an E-Z pass account because my daughter vehicle plate was registered to me and they had never closed the old account. I had to call the DMV several times to resolved this issue after leaving voice mails. DMV somehow were able to separate the licensed plates because why should I be penalized for an account that was never closed. I was finally able to open my own account to pay as I go, since I rarely leave my county.

Forced to get an account. My tag wasn't working the first day I used it. Long story short, my checking and credit card was on file. Now I was told it would take months to generate the bills and for me to received them. My checking account was available for use for two months. Months later the bill was generated but my business checking was closed. I had to change my business to a LLC which required me to closed the old account but my credit card was available. After calling around e-pass indicated my checking account had declined and they deleted my credit card on file. So now, I didn't have any form of payment on my e-pass account. Once again, I was receiving violation notices. What a scam. They charged my Amex card in July 2017 but indicated Amex declined charges and there wasn't any funds in the account.

I signed up for pay as you go. System is flawed if it take months later to apply charges to your account. The checking account was available during the months I traveled and a back up Amex card was an another form of payment on file. I called Amex and they indicated the only charged e-pass submitted was in July 2017. Okay, that is my proof my card was on file. I was told recently there wasn't. Why? They deleted it. I am so over it and this has cause me to have anxiety every time I pick up my mail at the post office. Recently I was told that I inputted my plate with NY in front of my plate when I applied for my e-pass online and now I have to send a copy of my registration to Correspondence in Albany. Hello, where was the notice about this? In addition, there is another account with my daughter plate. I told them that account should had been merged and I requested it to be closed last year prior.

The saga continues. I was told that if I closed my account, I would be sent a toll by mail but it will take some time for the bills to be received. I don't care how long it take. I am considered it but not sure if that is a scam and will cause me more anxiety and money because they can say they mailed it. I visited Texas last summer for the first time. Guess what? Their cashless tolls work. As a real estate broker, I have told all my clients about my situation. Clients beware! I hope my situation can help just one person. I don't understand why if you don't travel often you are forced to sign up.

In addition, there was a E-Z Pass commercial with actor "Leguizamo" driving a car on TV indicated to viewers "either you take the easy way or the hard way." What kind of commercial threatening or inform viewers they will be consequences if you don't get a e-pass. What is New York coming to. Shame on you E-Pass for creating anxiety and confusion among family members, hard working residents and tax payers that live in Orange County. Where was the instructional commercials? News coverage? Or a mailer with fee schedule, what bridges are cashless now and more detail rules and regulations. Hopefully my issues can be solved. If not, I will file a complaint with the attorney general office.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

If they think I am going to pay a $50.00 fee for a $15.00 toll they must think I giving my money out for free. A $50.00 fee for missing toll because their stupid E-Z Pass machine couldn't read the tag or because I forgot to put it out or anything at all is unlawful and unjust.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Like all the others, they sent me bills too late and tacked on late fees on top of that. When trying to call all the numbers to get into contact with a representative, I'm told that their lines are too busy and to call back later. How the heck am I supposed to know when to call back? We're in one of the busiest cities; we don't have time to sit there and go - "oh hey! Maybe it's time to call them again and NOT speak with a customer rep!" I wasted my day off with this, and still haven't gotten to speak with a representative. This is obviously them not answering any concerns of them ripping off the citizens of this city. Screw the 'tolls by mail' crap. Thankfully, my other car with E-Z Pass haven't had any issues... Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to all you other commuters.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I am a Staten Is. resident. I switch my E-Z Pass to HOV when I have 3 or more people and then switch it back to default. There were a couple of incidents where I was charged the full $17 even though I had 3 people in the car. I mean seriously! For the measly $2 discount, do you really think I would want to pay $17 knowing I didn't have the 3 people and try to cheat? The $17 is already ridiculous to charge in the first place! Sometimes people forget to switch it back to default and drive through by accident, so charge the 5.50 resident price. What the hell is the $17 charge for? Such scammers!! MTA is a horrible bunch! Whoever is running this and making these ridiculous rules have got to go.

I requested to show me the picture and the proof! I go through the bridge every single day because my son goes to school in Brooklyn and my mom also works in Brooklyn, I have 3 people carpooling back and live in SI. I saw other complaints that the same happened to others and they were charged $17 when they had 3 people for carpool. DAMN CHEATS AND SCAMMERS!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This is supposed to make things easier for New Yorkers and they've found a way to rob from us. The first bill I got when they first installed the payless tolls on the RFK bridge had already applied the $100 fees to each toll because the time I got the first bill it was late when I just received it. And since I use it every day for work, I owed over 1k on the first invoice I ever got. DO YOU THINK THAT'S FAIR?!! What's the $100 for?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have an E-Z PASS on the front of my car, the payments are automatic, I return the payments slips with my E-Z PASS tag every time the lousy system fails and it fails a lot. Yet NONE OF THIS GETS PROCESSED. No one answers the phone. These are the state workers we support with our taxes. The new automated system stinks. I HAVE MORE EXORBITANT LATE FEES BECAUSE THIS SYSTEM AND STAFF DO NOT FUNCTION.

E-Z Pass Company Information

www.e-zpassny.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use