E-Z Pass

New England

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had an E-ZPass for over 10 years and it has always been linked to my bank account. I used it for the first time in many years on January 19, 2017 since I now work in Maryland and live in Virginia. I drive two different vehicles and while driving on the day of the violation, I used the Express Lane. I held the transponder up to the windshield when I first entered the express lane and again upon exiting. Since I had not used my E-ZPass in many years, I called the Express Lane customer service number and explained what I did. The representative advised that the violation (if there was one) would not show up for some time and also advised the unit needs to remain in the windshield for the entire length of the Express Lane. Okay, no problem, now I know to have it mounted the entire ride with in the lane.

I made a good faith effort when I called. Two months later I received a bill from a collection agency for $103 bucks!!! This stems from the original toll of $4 bucks!!! I called to see what I can do and was advised to send in a letter explaining the mistake I made and also to supply them with documentation showing my license plate was linked to the transponder. I did that in May and then in June I received a letter stating that I must send in a statement of my account and again documentation showing my license plate was linked. This is crazy. I have no problem paying a $25 fine but to pay $103 for a $4 dollar toll when I made an honest mistake --- me thinks not!!!

I reported my plates stolen after receiving a letter from Mass EZ Pass stating I traveled through their toll system while I was not even in the country. I filed a police report and sent it to them. I called numerous times to let them know the plates were stolen, I was told my claim was being reviewed and two weeks later received another bill of higher amount with late fees now included. I called back again and spoke with someone only to be told that the claim was never reopened and that "they could not reopen." This is ridiculous given that the police report notes they charged someone with larceny for driving around with my plates.

I should not be responsible for these fees and I hope that in the future no one has to ever encounter their customer service center since they suck. Now I am stuck paying fees that I really shouldn't have to pay. EZ Pass MA is insensitive to the needs of the customer and didn't even fully look at the facts of my claim. Disappointed and will let everyone know of my negative experiences with their services.

BEWARE PA EZPass SCAM. Check your statements monthly. Many tolls were charged to my account using my two vehicle transponders for roads (entry/exits) and times that we don't even travel to. Called EZPass customer service and there is no way to check as per the rep. We MUST have used it/lent the car out/lent the transponders out (yup I do that everyday - sarcasm there). Hummm. Good legalized thieves stealing from hard working citizens who pay their share of the tolls already. She said, "You can contest it but most likely will be denied as many other reviewers have had that experience already."

I regularly use my transponders and then I got Video Toll notice for 16 violations. Their computer system can not associate license plate number with video toll, surprising? I tried to pay online but they don't display my mailing id. I thought there was no violation until I got a bill for 800 civil penalty. This is heartbreaking for me.

I have used E-Z Pass for quite a while and had always submitted funds when I received a warning light on the Mass Pike. I moved to NH and opened a new account. During the month of April, I traveled to Boston on the Pike, and then traveled back to Western Mass. There are no longer any warning flashes of low balances. I apparently had enough money on the transponder on the way out, but upon my return had a negative balance. I was invoiced, saw the envelope and added money to my account. Got a reminder notice, checked my account and there were no charges so figured the payment and the reminder had crossed.

Today received a bill for a late fee. Called EZ Pass NH and was told I had no outstanding charges. Explained the situation and was told to contact MA. MA said that there must have been a transponder issue and was told to call NH. NH Checked the account and found that the negative balance for the one way toll made my account to be "not in good order" and therefore only billable by invoice. The ability to add money to the transponder to pay the shortfall, stops at the state line. I chatted with the MA EZ Pass to ask them where I could find this information on their website and was told that they did not have that information.

I asked about filing an appeal and was told that the only type of appeal available was for mistaken charges, and this was not a mistaken charge. EZ Pass is not the integrated experience it appears to be. All jurisdiction falls within each state. The fact that I had to have multiple interactions between the two states before I could even figure out what the issue was was a bad experience.

I did find only one line on the website as a blanket statement that covers this whole scenario: "It's your responsibility to maintain a sufficient account balance to cover your toll usage." My issue with this is that in the past, if I had a low or negative balance while driving in Mass, I could just add money to the account. Nowhere does it state that this cannot be done across state lines. I also find the lack of an appeal process unsettling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

I received an invoice for the E-Z Pass toll in the amount of $2.50. When I went to pay the fee and set up E-Z Pass, I was told I have an outstanding balance of $788.00 from tolls and fees. I asked how that's possible and apparently they've been sending invoices to the wrong address for 6 months even though my registration clearly states my correct address. I was told there's nothing they can do. Now I'm stuck paying $500 in fees and the fees keep going up until I pay the entire amount even though this was their mistake.

I have proof of my address change via registration and submitted that via appeal although I have no hope of that working as it seems these people are only out to bilk and scam hardworking people. Apparently. Organized crime is alive and well and it's in the form of the E-Z Pass scam machine. I swear they send the bills to the wrong place in error just to get their insane late fees! Something needs to be done about this as they are scamming the citizens in the worst way possible and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Went through Carpool for GWB after 11PM. 2 most right lanes had people in them and green above 3rd lane to the left had the red X. There was a car in the right most lane so I pulled up to the 2nd from the right lane and told the attendant, CARPOOL. He looked at me and said, "Okay... cash." Unfortunately, I had started to pull away when he said okay then I was thinking why did he say CASH. Toll sign said paid... it never states CARPOOL.

2 days later I checked my E-Z Pass Account and they charge me $10.50 instead of $6.50. I wrote in to request a credit and got this back: "Dear **, Thank you for contacting E-ZPass®! Your information was successfully submitted. Your service request is #** and will be responded to in a timely manner. Thank you,

E-ZPass® New York Customer Service."

After 8 days later figuring... timely? I called and was told it could take up to 10 days. 5 days later, total of 15 I called again and was told, "I don't know why they said 10 days. It could take up to 30 days to get a decision and we can't help until that happens. You should here by the 30 days." 5 days later, total of 20 days, I got this. " Dear **, Your Request #: ** has been resolved. Response: In response to your recent inquiry, please be advised that your request for credit has been denied (Dedicated Lane). When carpooling at any Port Authority bridge or tunnel, the discount is applied only in Full Service Lanes, you must come to a complete stop and have three or more occupants in a passenger vehicle. Thank you, E-ZPass New York Customer Service."

I called and spoke to customer service. She was nice enough to read me the statement again and said I can write in another request. I said, "I don't understand. There was 2 lanes with attendants"... same story as above. She said, "Well that lane 44 is a E-ZPass only lane." I said, "It was 11:42 at night with only 2 lanes with attendants. The rest were closed and further to the left say E-ZPass Only. So, why would the two most right lanes have people in them show EZ/CASH and allow you to pull up and request Carpool?" She suggested writing in again.

I asked for a supervisor, please. He came on the phone. I apologized for bothering him and stated all of the above again ad nauseam. He said, "If you want to get carpool, you need to go to the upper level of the GWB and a full service lane with 3 people." I explained that coming to the tolls from the right side of the Palisades Pkwy is only access to the upper GWB. He keep telling me lower GWB is lane 44. I said, "Thank you for your help" and we hung up. I called back and was told PACP Carpool is not available from 11PM to 5:59AM. I thought, okay if that is true then I guess there is no beef but why have 2 people working the booths and I never remembered seeing a restriction on the PACP. I looked further at E-ZPasses website and no mention of the "Blackout" time.

I called back and asked someone if there was a time where Carpool is not given and they said, "On the GWB there are certain lanes that are full service to get Carpool and between 11 and 5:59AM you need the upper level." I told her my story. Said it is not about the money. At this point it was more about the challenge of actually getting something done and right. She told me that lane 44 is lower level GWB and is a E-ZPass designated lane NOT full service. So, I pulled up my account and referenced the toll in question on lane 44 charged $10.50 instead of $6.50. {Again not about the money at this point. It started out being a quick 3 minute email for $4. Now it's much more than that and I never want to hear of this again but I check my statement now. And other people are probably being charged incorrectly. Question - if the board can say toll paid... why can it tell you the amount paid? Ah, so you don't know when they over charge you for peak, off peak, Carpool.}

Then I referenced a charge of $6.50 2 days later at the same Lane 44 and said... "Well if lane 44 is to the lower level and is a dedicated E-ZPass lane NOT full service (Cash, carpool, E-ZPass) then how was I charged $6.50?" I know what you are thinking... She said, "You're right. I correct that and charge you the $10.50!" Or right and... "I will credit you the $4." She said, "I can only tell you what the matrix I am looking at describes and it is not a full service lane." So, I said thanks and will review my statements and am moving on. Good luck to others.

Couple of months ago I crossed the Tappan Bridge. When I received my bill I mailed my $5 to E-Z Pass ASAP. Six months later I received a letter from their attorneys from Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP attorneys at law that I now owed over $30 for a summons that was paid. Also what a reliable agency trying to rip consumers. Bring back the toll collectors. Albany needs to get their act together and stop ripping us off with $50 administration fee. Add Henry Hudson to the rip off list too!!! This never happened before when they hear till collectors. All they do is threaten consumers with lawyers.

I am very frustrated with EZ pass. I drive a regular light duty pickup truck and tow a small 2 axle horse trailer that contains one horse. I travel often. It seems that whenever I cross the Outerbridge from NJ to Staten Island, I get charged $72. This has happened 3 of the last 4 times over a period of 9 weeks. The correct charge is $31.50 (Still outrageous). I call on a weekly basis to dispute the charge and I am told over and over again that they are working on it. I truly believe that nothing is happening. The last time I went through an EZ Pass/ Cash lane, my EZ Pass was charged and I pulled up and asked the toll collector what my toll is supposed to be. Her answer "I don't know!" I made copies of the registration to my truck and trailer along with all of my account info, I sent in a letter and I am hoping to someday be reimbursed, but as for now, I've just decided to leave my EZ Pass home.

After being a E-Z Pass customer for $18 years and never having a violation and commuting over the Tappan Zee bridge on a weekly basis. I received a bill for $2700 in fines. $200 of that was actual tolls from my daily commute. When I went over the bridge one day and saw no toll booths I was confused like everyone else's. So I was told we all be billed by mail which I was months and months later with fines for every time I went over the bridge. I didn't do anything wrong. They never even send me a bill but straight to a attorney office and then they tell me not to talk to them. Their making money on my fines but yet E-Z Pass said they would settle with me at $1000.00. I already paid them $700 because I received a letter from motor vehicle saying they were suspending my registration which then would mean I'd have no insurance on my car.

I believe this is a huge scam and I went to my county legislator about this and they never heard of such a thing. Well I'm making sure everyone on Facebook and people know the scam they are pulling. Something has to be done!! Not to mention to revoked my E-Z Pass. I will never ever be a E-Z Pass customer again. I hope they go out of business and everyone returns their tags. DO NOT FEED I TO THIS SCAM!!!

They charged me a $1.00 and said I went through a toll exit when I didn't even have my transponder with me in the car unless it picked it up with my vehicle which is ridiculous. But either way they keep charging me so I have insufficient funds when I pay with cash. I work for the Dulles toll roads by the way. And I see how they rip off each customer. Whenever you throw change in the basket that is not quarters, it rejects it so you have to pay more. As if paying $2.50 /$1.00 per car isn't enough average car has to pay $1.50/$3.00 due to the tolls not counting money correctly. It's part of the government so of course they are going to rape you for every penny you have.

They billed me far too much with 2 customer service representatives confirming the same; yet management refuses to refund me the overcharges. The customer service reps are really good, but management is shady beyond reason. Just stay away from I90 as much as you can. Don't give these crooks your money.

I just can't understand how these tolls by mail are incurring these incredible fees with no way to dispute or any leniency. My $5.00 toll from 3/11/17 is now $105. After receiving a call from a debt collector we reviewed my account and found several other items in collections and I never received any of them in the mail. She offered a discount but I can't imagine spending $271 for what adds up to $15 in tolls. This is a scam and is putting me in collections.

I think this has to be the worst experience that I have ever had with customer service! I will never never use this E-Z Pass again. They charged me for a fee of 5$ letting me know that I had to be charged each way in addition to the fee of the toll because I didn't have a card on file. When I called to talk about it they said that I didn't have a card on file because they took it off because EVERYONE was getting new cards in the mail this year, with a chip... well NOT ME! I didn't have a new in the mail, the card I had then still works now without a chip in it so therefore the card would have worked fine.

Then they starting sending everything to the wrong apartment number and wondered why I didn't have any of the notices they were sending me. She then blamed me for it because I had to do it online so then I looked online and imagine what I found? The CORRECT address! They just never put the unit # on the mail. How would anyone expect to get mail if there is no unit number on there. Mistakes I get it. But then she tells me that because I had the E-Z Pass on my windshield that they charged me for all the times I paid cash because it was up there. I have never ever in my life been more disappointment with a company. Finally I decided to give her my card number so that she was able to pay off the stupid balance on the account. And I told her DO NOT READ MY CARD NUMBER BACK... what does she do? Talks over me and reads the card number out loud.

I've worked in customer service for years and we are always told "the customer is always right." Well I guess E-Z Pass is not that way. I said I would repeat it back to her so she knew she had the numbers right and she didn't want me to do that. I said it for a reason, I worked for a company and someone used to listen to numbers being read back and use the card numbers for their own things. So therefore I do not want anyone reading card numbers by chance someone else hears it and does this to me! I get that those calls are listen to on the regular. They all do in call centers. But to do something with my personal information is not ok with me and I find it really disrespectful to do something with my information that I was very specific at not doing! Barbra ** is the WORST!!!

I sent a check to pay a fee on the 18th of May but for some reason it didn't post until the 23rd, the day after it was due so that they could charge me an extra fee. They are terribly difficult to get in contact with and while the lady I spoke with was nice they are a horrible company. I would support any type of class action lawsuit against this company. Terrible service.

I received a violation from supposedly exiting off a PA Turnpike ramp that was E-Z Pass only. They say there were signs and lights all over, neither my wife or I saw or remember that at all. But ok, it happens, then send me the violation notice with of course the highest amount they can bill me for that exit. I get that they can't just take my word about where I got on, but can I suggest, you have camera taking pics of plates getting off, why not take them getting on too, it is the 21st Century, you can then just search the plate number, see where it got on and where it got off. I understand paying what I owe, but let's be fair here.

Second huge complaint, the customer service reps I spoke to, 2 of them, rude as all hell. At the end of the first call I said, "Well my day is crappy now", she actually says to me, "Oh, mine is going great". I ask for her name she hangs up. The second one, I just ask for someone to lodge a complaint with, she says we don't take complaints. Huh?!?! She said we have a supervisor but she won't get on the phone. I said, so nobody can complain about E-Z Pass ever? Her response, it is what it is. WTH???

My son uses the Tappan Zee Bridge 2 or 3 times every few months to visit a friend in Rockland County. We do not use E-Z Pass because we so seldom need to use the bridges. Whoever is in charge of billing is NOT sending bills, but they are sending violations stating, "We tried to reach you." They are charging $100 for two $5.00 trips. This is unacceptable and reeks of a scam. I am thinking of writing to the NYS Attorney General, Eric Schneiderman, as I see they are doing this to many people.

In August of 2015 I traveled to NY from DE, Prior to the trip I made sure my E-Z Pass had funds loaded onto the account. As I went through each E-Z Pass the funds were deducted. Two weeks later after my trip I received over $200 in fees from that trip. Apparently the funds came off but the reader still marked it as non payment. We called and paid the fines, and called E-Z pass. They informed us that something must be wrong with the transponder and they would send a new one. However we must call NJ and NY to get our money back. Months go by and I never receive the transponder and I'm still commuting to work from DE to MD everyday, going through 3 Tolls a day. One day I decided to look at my bank account and noticed that there weren't any payments going to E-Z Pass and I never received anything in the mail. I called E-Z Pass and they tell me I owe $23,000 for toll violations.

HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO PAY THAT SIR??? Why would anyone with a sane mind go through an E-Z Pass daily for almost a year without paying?? Why would I purposely rack up $23,000 dollars in fines? As a business you should see something wrong with that and do everything you can to reach out to a consumer via phone call, or email, if they aren't being reached by mail to advise them that there is an issue. Don't just let someone rack up all those fines and you not do your part as a business to make sure the consumer is aware of the issue.

So now my registration is suspended and there isn't anyone who is trying to assist me with this matter. I tried getting a lawyer only for them to inform me, I needed to be pulled over first before they could do anything. E-Z Pass is just out here robbing people, and hiding behind the state to do it. They are protected and that's why they are allowed to do this to people. I am willing and ready to gather as many people as possible and file suit against the CCU, E-Z Pass and whoever else is responsible.

I got a bill for $51 for a plate number that I never heard of going over a bridge. I called to dispute it. They said it the plate was added to my account on 11/28 and went through a toll. It was a large commercial truck. I disputed it. They told me to call back in a week and get my resolution. I called back a week later, they told me it would take three more weeks. I called 3 weeks later, they told me it was determined that I added the commercial truck to my account. It was the only charge that vehicle has ever occurred before and after 11/28. I wrote the Albany office to dispute the charge on March 2nd. I never got a reply from them. How can they just take $51 from me?

Received invoice with "adjustment" amount of $419.55 with no detail/record of tolls for adjustment amount. Called customer service to ask what adjst. amt. was for specifically. Was told that a plate-holder sharing the same plate # on a different kind of plate was charged for my tolls from October 2016 - April 2017. Therefore, I am being retro-actively billed for the activity. Said, "OK - HOWEVER, I would just like the detailed toll information (location, date, etc.) so that I can verify and confirm the $419.55 worth of tolls that you have added to the bill."

Their initial response was that if I looked online I could see all of the charges. I happened to be logged into my account when she said that so I asked where exactly on the site they list the adjustment info (because I wasn't seeing it) and then she changed her response and said that they actually can't provide that information to me because it was already billed in error to another customer and it would jeopardize that customer's privacy if they were to send me the tolls that MY vehicle incurred but was billed in error to someone else. I explained how that was contradictory because my toll information was obviously being shared with someone else because they were contesting the charges.

The representative could offer no solution and said there was no way they could provide any detailed info on the $419.55 worth of charges that have been added to the bill. I asked to speak to a supervisor - was told that I would be contacted by one in 48 hours. I asked for a reference # for the call - was told they do not issue reference #s for calls... Obviously very frustrating; will try again with the supervisor assuming I am contacted.

Tolls By Mail / EZ-Pass SCAM: These entities intermingle or are disparate depending on how they can make more money. It's like the mob. There's no human to talk to. I keep accruing E-Z pass fines even though the Queens Midtown Tunnel switched over to Tolls By Mail. I took my badge down to avoid confusion but because my plate is associated with an EZ Pass account they charge me fines as though I am evading payment. So every "tolls by mail" is $8 plus a $50 to $100 fine (not sure the distinction, seems arbitrarily applied).

I commute to the city every day. I've managed to rack up around 2K in fines because at first notice, I took what I thought was proper action by removing my tag, but not knowing they will continue to fine E-Z pass holders regardless of whether or not their tag is mounted for using the new Tolls by Mail system. It's utter ** and just another revenue stream for the rapacious MTA and NYC DOT cash machines for the city. There needs to be an thorough and independent corruption investigation by a credible news outlet if one exists.

My account has been charged 2248.00 for a five-axle vehicle, while reader has been locked in my office. I don't own such a vehicle and that reader hasn't been used for at least a year. Tolls all in NJ. I've been in contact with NY. Maybe I'll have better luck in NJ. They tell me it's impossible that it's being read outside vehicle.

Yesterday I received a fine in the mail for the tolls on Southbound I95 Newark Tolls. I don't have E-Z Pass because of the headaches so I just pay in cash. They claim I drove through a toll and didn't pay. Well, I've driven this route to PA at least 16-20 times a years for the last 30 years and I know to use the cash lanes AND I would NEVER just drive through! What's upsetting AND sketchy is, how do I prove that I paid it when they are claiming I didn't pay. I really feel they need to be investigated and will find fraud. From what I've read, this happens way too often! Maybe it's time to go back to cash and the toll keeper lifts the metal arm when paid. Clearly technology is not working!!!

I just received a bill in the mail for $362 for tolls!!! Most of them are late fees. We have had transponders for years now and our card on file expired and we received no notice. Then we just received this bill. I called them and they said there is nothing we can do. They are controlled by the DOT!! Didn't they just get in trouble for this? My husband goes to work in Boston every day and we never received a bill or notice until today and it was for $362!!!

I hate everything about this company. The phone lines are horrible. The way they do business stinks!!! It's bad that they don't have competition so we can leave and go somewhere else. I hope this company someday goes out of business. It's robbery the way they conduct business, and how long they have you on hold waiting to speak to someone.

E-Z has charged me almost $10,000 in late fees! I've been using E-Z Pass for about 7 years. There were 2 times when I missed a payment because I updated my payment information online a little late. When I updated my credit card I paid the late fee and my balance was 0. I have automatic monthly payments. Every month E-Z takes money out of my account. I don't understand why E-Z Pass keeps charging me late fees and they still deduct my monthly payments. I keep checking my account and all of my payments are current. I cannot afford to pay almost $10,000. I have a hearing with E-Z Pass on March 29. I really need help and advice about what I should do. This is very unfair. I make my monthly payments and I have paid my late fees.

In June 2016, EZ Pass NY started to charge my acct for tolls made by a truck. First of all, I own a car, have ALWAYS use my transponder... since 1997, and the class of vehicle and charges were obviously for a truck. If anyone there really cared, which they don't, they would have stopped the madness with my first contact. Several phone calls, emails, online dispute claims, and I was ready to scream! Actually I did, but it did no good.

Evidently, Massachusetts, in its brilliance, has recycled plate numbers & assigned them to trucks! Really guys?!? Two different vehicles with the same plate number??? Did it never occur that this would cause a problem, especially since we were going to electronic tolling? Dumb **! So the problem persisted and my credit card was charged almost $400 in charges that were not mine. I tried to fix it by getting a MA EZ Pass & stopped using my NY EZ Pass transponder. Didn't work... the charges eventually were transferred. By coincidence, both the truck and my vehicle went through 2 different tolls at the same time. Didn't matter.

Finally I had no choice but to cancel my credit card and file fraud charges with my credit card company. I will gladly pay any tolls we used, but I am not allowing them access to any of my credit cards or bank info. No one wants to listen at EZ Pass NY. In fact, the customer rep from the first call was the only one who tried to help. She verified that the photo of the vehicle showing up under my "plate" was indeed a truck. In order for me to try to rectify this in MA, I may have to drive out to the Auburn office and waste a day. Too bad we can't charge them for the loss of pay, gas, tolls, and emotional distress that their incompetence has caused.

I had a 5 number plate in Massachusetts for the decades. In December I began receiving EZ Pass toll charges for my plate number for days I was never on the Mass Pike totaling $115. I am an EZ Pass member and I do receive valid charges triggered by my transponder when I travel the Mass Pike. The charges I received were for a 5 axle commercial vehicle. My vehicle is a jeep. When I contacted EZ Pass I was told that Massachusetts issues duplicate plate numbers to cars and apportioned vehicles. I was told the only way to correct the problem was to change my plate. It took me 3 months to receive a refund and it cost me $89 to get a new plate.

Inaccurately sent notice of violation to charge $15 when I already paid this in cash while passing through the toll. The woman at the toll took the cash and opened the toll to allow us to pass, if I had not paid the toll, she would not have allowed us through. Late fees would be $50 if not paid, hopefully it won't come to this.

I called and told them to add my account to the E-Z Pass account. They took payment and didn't add the card and bill me for over 500.00 then had a nerve to apologize but won't reduce to zero. Time to pay 100.00 in penalty.

E-Z Pass Company Profile