E-Z Pass

New England

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Received invoice with "adjustment" amount of $419.55 with no detail/record of tolls for adjustment amount. Called customer service to ask what adjst. amt. was for specifically. Was told that a plate-holder sharing the same plate # on a different kind of plate was charged for my tolls from October 2016 - April 2017. Therefore, I am being retro-actively billed for the activity. Said, "OK - HOWEVER, I would just like the detailed toll information (location, date, etc.) so that I can verify and confirm the $419.55 worth of tolls that you have added to the bill."

Their initial response was that if I looked online I could see all of the charges. I happened to be logged into my account when she said that so I asked where exactly on the site they list the adjustment info (because I wasn't seeing it) and then she changed her response and said that they actually can't provide that information to me because it was already billed in error to another customer and it would jeopardize that customer's privacy if they were to send me the tolls that MY vehicle incurred but was billed in error to someone else. I explained how that was contradictory because my toll information was obviously being shared with someone else because they were contesting the charges.

The representative could offer no solution and said there was no way they could provide any detailed info on the $419.55 worth of charges that have been added to the bill. I asked to speak to a supervisor - was told that I would be contacted by one in 48 hours. I asked for a reference # for the call - was told they do not issue reference #s for calls... Obviously very frustrating; will try again with the supervisor assuming I am contacted.

Tolls By Mail / EZ-Pass SCAM: These entities intermingle or are disparate depending on how they can make more money. It's like the mob. There's no human to talk to. I keep accruing E-Z pass fines even though the Queens Midtown Tunnel switched over to Tolls By Mail. I took my badge down to avoid confusion but because my plate is associated with an EZ Pass account they charge me fines as though I am evading payment. So every "tolls by mail" is $8 plus a $50 to $100 fine (not sure the distinction, seems arbitrarily applied).

I commute to the city every day. I've managed to rack up around 2K in fines because at first notice, I took what I thought was proper action by removing my tag, but not knowing they will continue to fine E-Z pass holders regardless of whether or not their tag is mounted for using the new Tolls by Mail system. It's utter ** and just another revenue stream for the rapacious MTA and NYC DOT cash machines for the city. There needs to be an thorough and independent corruption investigation by a credible news outlet if one exists.

My account has been charged 2248.00 for a five-axle vehicle, while reader has been locked in my office. I don't own such a vehicle and that reader hasn't been used for at least a year. Tolls all in NJ. I've been in contact with NY. Maybe I'll have better luck in NJ. They tell me it's impossible that it's being read outside vehicle.

Yesterday I received a fine in the mail for the tolls on Southbound I95 Newark Tolls. I don't have E-Z Pass because of the headaches so I just pay in cash. They claim I drove through a toll and didn't pay. Well, I've driven this route to PA at least 16-20 times a years for the last 30 years and I know to use the cash lanes AND I would NEVER just drive through! What's upsetting AND sketchy is, how do I prove that I paid it when they are claiming I didn't pay. I really feel they need to be investigated and will find fraud. From what I've read, this happens way too often! Maybe it's time to go back to cash and the toll keeper lifts the metal arm when paid. Clearly technology is not working!!!

I just received a bill in the mail for $362 for tolls!!! Most of them are late fees. We have had transponders for years now and our card on file expired and we received no notice. Then we just received this bill. I called them and they said there is nothing we can do. They are controlled by the DOT!! Didn't they just get in trouble for this? My husband goes to work in Boston every day and we never received a bill or notice until today and it was for $362!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

I hate everything about this company. The phone lines are horrible. The way they do business stinks!!! It's bad that they don't have competition so we can leave and go somewhere else. I hope this company someday goes out of business. It's robbery the way they conduct business, and how long they have you on hold waiting to speak to someone.

E-Z has charged me almost $10,000 in late fees! I've been using E-Z Pass for about 7 years. There were 2 times when I missed a payment because I updated my payment information online a little late. When I updated my credit card I paid the late fee and my balance was 0. I have automatic monthly payments. Every month E-Z takes money out of my account. I don't understand why E-Z Pass keeps charging me late fees and they still deduct my monthly payments. I keep checking my account and all of my payments are current. I cannot afford to pay almost $10,000. I have a hearing with E-Z Pass on March 29. I really need help and advice about what I should do. This is very unfair. I make my monthly payments and I have paid my late fees.

In June 2016, EZ Pass NY started to charge my acct for tolls made by a truck. First of all, I own a car, have ALWAYS use my transponder... since 1997, and the class of vehicle and charges were obviously for a truck. If anyone there really cared, which they don't, they would have stopped the madness with my first contact. Several phone calls, emails, online dispute claims, and I was ready to scream! Actually I did, but it did no good.

Evidently, Massachusetts, in its brilliance, has recycled plate numbers & assigned them to trucks! Really guys?!? Two different vehicles with the same plate number??? Did it never occur that this would cause a problem, especially since we were going to electronic tolling? Dumb **! So the problem persisted and my credit card was charged almost $400 in charges that were not mine. I tried to fix it by getting a MA EZ Pass & stopped using my NY EZ Pass transponder. Didn't work... the charges eventually were transferred. By coincidence, both the truck and my vehicle went through 2 different tolls at the same time. Didn't matter.

Finally I had no choice but to cancel my credit card and file fraud charges with my credit card company. I will gladly pay any tolls we used, but I am not allowing them access to any of my credit cards or bank info. No one wants to listen at EZ Pass NY. In fact, the customer rep from the first call was the only one who tried to help. She verified that the photo of the vehicle showing up under my "plate" was indeed a truck. In order for me to try to rectify this in MA, I may have to drive out to the Auburn office and waste a day. Too bad we can't charge them for the loss of pay, gas, tolls, and emotional distress that their incompetence has caused.

I had a 5 number plate in Massachusetts for the decades. In December I began receiving EZ Pass toll charges for my plate number for days I was never on the Mass Pike totaling $115. I am an EZ Pass member and I do receive valid charges triggered by my transponder when I travel the Mass Pike. The charges I received were for a 5 axle commercial vehicle. My vehicle is a jeep. When I contacted EZ Pass I was told that Massachusetts issues duplicate plate numbers to cars and apportioned vehicles. I was told the only way to correct the problem was to change my plate. It took me 3 months to receive a refund and it cost me $89 to get a new plate.

Inaccurately sent notice of violation to charge $15 when I already paid this in cash while passing through the toll. The woman at the toll took the cash and opened the toll to allow us to pass, if I had not paid the toll, she would not have allowed us through. Late fees would be $50 if not paid, hopefully it won't come to this.

I called and told them to add my account to the E-Z Pass account. They took payment and didn't add the card and bill me for over 500.00 then had a nerve to apologize but won't reduce to zero. Time to pay 100.00 in penalty.

E-Z Pass MA has been a major ** from the beginning of this recent roll out to remove toll booths and make transponders Pay By Plate fees mandatory. I ordered my E-Z Pass in October and was mistakenly charged for 2 transponders. When I called to correct this error, customer service stated that the account was canceled and I'd be refunded $20. Well, a month later, the E-Z Pass still hadn't arrived and I hadn't been reimbursed $20 for the transponder. I called customer service again and the person I spoke to was in fact helpful. She informed me that the last representative had canceled both accounts (the erroneous as well as the correct one) and that the reimbursement was not managed correctly by E-Z Pass which was why I never received $20.

After another month (December) I received the $20 reimbursement but still no E-Z Pass. I called customer service again. They told me that the E-Z Pass had never been sent out. Meanwhile I'd been accruing violations and received a couple notices from Pay By Plate, which is aggravating since I should have had an E-Z Pass 2 months prior. Eventually, I received that transponder around January. However, I'm still receiving Pay By Plate invoices (mail) as well as E-Z Pass bills (electronic)--therefore I'm being charged twice at the tolls plus late fees because I'm not paying them twice for their mistake.

Furthermore, the website is far from user friendly and is full of glitches and loops that equally mimic their entire customer service ethos of bang your head against the wall frustration until the problem appears different or the problematic customer becomes indifferent. I've entered my account number, transponder number, and all other required fields and still can't access my account. This is the most careless, bureaucratic, incompetent department I've had to deal with in a while. I'm tempted to bypass rt 90 and all tolls and take the scenic route because they do not have their ** together.

I don't recommend this E-Z Pass corrupt system especially the way they send random "alerts" to your phone higher than the amount you agreed to once you got on E-Z Pass. Who's making out, aside from the jerk who created this BS.

At the end of June and early July I went thru 3 tolls totaling $16.50. I received a bill from E-Z Pass NY at the end of July for $16.50 with a due date of August 23, 2016. I paid the amount of $16.50 through my People's Online Banking account on August 1, 2016. The payment was received and cleared on August 9, 2016. Since then, I've received bills for late fees totaling $150.00 plus the $16.50. I called numerous times, I sent proof of payment (bank statement and cancelled check) to both the Tolls by Mail Pay Processing in Albany, NY AND Violations Processing Center in Albany, NY.

December 5, 2016 - I received a letter from a collections agency Transworld systems - spoke with Sean ** ext # ** he said to fax a copy of the cancelled check from the bank. On December 6, 2016 I faxed him the cancelled check. Today February 13, 2017 I received a notice in the mail stating I owe $166.50. So I wrote the above complaint to the BBB NY - I got a message back stating it was out of their scope??? So how does someone correct an obvious error on the part of EZ-Pass billing system?

I have been an account holder for many years. I had an issue where my transponder stopped working and I was never able to speak to anyone. Instead I got $300 worth of violations in the mail. Phone numbers never worked, constantly got transferred and every incompetent person got on the phone and transferred me to someone else. Issues never got resolved.

License plate reader problems lead to supposed toll violations: My transponder was 9 years old and started to fail. (They say they last around 10 yrs.) My account is linked to a card and I have e-billing and I check my account very infrequently. A lot of video tolls started showing up intermittently in December 2016 unbeknownst to me. Since E-ZPass uses computers to read license plates, it sometimes misread my plate.

My Virginia vanity plate is "**" with the letter OH. (Not really my plate but made up a word with an OH for this story.) The problem is the E-ZPass computer sometimes read it as a ZERO instead of an OH, as it is listed on my E-ZPass account. So when the computer looked up with a zero, it didn't find it linked to an account. So they then asked Virginia DMV who owned the plate. Since Virginia does not distinguish between a zero and an OH on their plates--they used the same character--they gave E-ZPass my address. And so began my three weeks of phone customer service hell.

Even after sending them my motor registration, as requested, to show that their computer was at fault, they still wanted to charge me the video toll rate. After a third call, they said they reviewed my letter explaining the problem, my vehicle registration, and the plates listed on my account and denied a correction. I asked for a simple explanation of why it was denied. Like a robot, she only repeated it was denied. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said the supervisor only does callbacks and to expect a call in 24-48 hours. How stupid is this? I was ready to file a complaint with the consumer office of the State Atty General and the consumer advocate with the local Baltimore TV station.

On my travels, I was passing an E-ZPass administration building in Perryville, Maryland and stopped in to speak face-to-face with a rep. I hoped I could get an explanation. Within 10 minutes, she confirmed my transponder was on the fritz, reviewed my complaint, understood the problem, and her supervisor gave the approval to correct all the violations (have me pay the E-ZPass rate, not the higher cash or video toll rate). I left with a new transponder (cost $7.50) and relieved that this totally unnecessary nonsense was over.

I have an E-Z Pass account. My kids and husband sometimes use my E-Z Pass and for some reason their trips did NOT register at the tolls. My poor husband has accrued over $500.00 in fines due to ADMINISTRATIVE FEES!!! We can't make ends meet to begin with. I sent checks for the tolls, which were promptly cashed, and requested that they drop at least some of the administrative fees only to be turned down. These tolls were supposed to end years ago once the roadway construction was paid, but CROOKED NJ, won't let that happen. Absolutely criminal of NEW JERSEY. I can't wait to move from this place!

Months ago I was starting a new job. I had no money. For a week I didn't pay tolls but I took the receipt from the toll clerk. She told me to mail the payments into the turnpike. I did. Then I got a notice in the mail from E-Z Pass stating I didn't pay their tolls. I went back-and-forth with them and they finally said "just send us proof that you paid the turnpike instead by accident and we will drop the fees." And all I would be responsible for is the tolls which was a sum of $54.

I had the money order receipt with the date stating I had paid in time on time the correct amount. I just got a letter in the mail stating that they are rejecting my actual solidified proof and while I was waiting for their response they decided to send the tolls into collections $600. My god. Can anybody fight these people and win? Is there any way to win against E-Z Pass? Please somebody help, help, help!!! This has to stop. How can this go on and the attorney general of New Jersey not get involved? E-Z Pass is a criminal organization getting away with murder and stealing peoples money...

I have a new vehicle and my plate apparently was not registered with my transponder... so I have 16.42 toll bill... suspended registration in the state of NH for this and 528.50 in fees!!! What the heck! How about a notice in the mail? This happened in the fall and I didn't realize it until I was stopped for a headlight out and my license had been pulled. I straightened it out and guess what! It's happening again! Feeling pretty done with the EZ pass scam! Nothing is EZ about having anything suspended!

I did not receive bills for 2 consecutive months, not by regular mail nor by email. Was then charged 13 X 25.00 dollars for violations. When I called in NY E-ZPass, was told that they "may" take off only 20.00 out of the 25.00 dollars per violation. Nobody tried contacting me by phone or by mail, so why pay any violation at all? Also how come there are no way to appeal this decision, just because 'they' made a mistake. This is really unfair!

I'm from Kansas, had done some work in Massachusetts, and decided to travel back through NY/NJ. With no visible attended toll booths I went through the ones I thought would be sending billing. Having received my bill, I see that I owed $2.15 for a toll. Sounds reasonable. BUT WTH IS THE $50.00 ADMIN FEE??? Is this even legal? With three options to dispute (complete form, do it online, or call the phone number), I chose the phone number. And... it gives me no opportunity to speak to anyone nor leave a recorded message, and refers me to the other two options. Does that not make a phone call NOT an option then??

Having then paid it online (it being due today) thinking I could then dispute it online or at least leave a comment, I was not given any option to take any action or leave any comment. Is the EZ Pass site intentionally set up to deflect and confuse??? I will do my best to avoid anything having to do with New Jersey and its ripoff toll system should I ever head east again.

Even after multiple suits in court (which they apparently lost), they haven't really stopped. I owe $1,100.00 for something like $12.50 in missed tolls. You try to pull the money together to settle it before it even goes to collection, but the administrative fees keep stacking up and when you are in a very tough spot financially already, it's nearly impossible to pay them on time. This all started when they switched my account replenishment status from "automatic" to "manual" after an issue with a replenishment transaction, but I never got a notification of the status change. By the time I realized it when checking my balance on my account just to make sure things were okay, I was already in the red and getting toll violation mail from them. I tried contacting them and making a toll dispute explaining the situation and requesting other options for payment but, from what I could tell, they just ignored me.

Now I have to take time from work to go to court and handle this with their "litigation specialists" (which they only allot you 30 minutes before your hearing to hammer out a deal). I work 60 hour weeks and I don't have time for their nonsense. I could have paid them if it were something like $25 to $50, but no, they have to bleed me dry even when I've got hardly anything to give them. I'm never using their service again, and they greatly overstate whatever value they do provide. I feel terribly for venting on the phone to their customer service rep, as it isn't her fault, but someone on their end needed to hear it. So, if she's reading this, I apologize to her, and ONLY to her. Transurban as a whole can just do the world a favor and completely restructure at the executive level, take ethics seriously, or just go away entirely.

Misc notes: It's not like I was intentionally being delinquent or irresponsible really. I had a near life-ending and permanently life-altering head injury several years ago and, unfortunately, that has yielded me the short term memory span roughly akin to that of a gold fish, among other issues. I hate pulling the TBI card, but it's a significant factor in my ability to function, and I'm doing my best over here. EZ Pass and Transurban just add to the stresses and frustrations of life where they shouldn't be. Whatever value-add they perceive their companies to provide is not at all worth the rise in blood pressure and they have to be, bar none, the worst infrastructure/toll outfits on the planet. I would rate 0 stars, but I have to admit the use of the lanes has been a convenience from time to time. Worth it? Absolutely not, but it is a slight convenience. Are their dealings through the company with local and state governments ethical? Not really.

Been using the system for approx. 3+ years and have gone from $25 a month to $50 recently. They are here to squeeze every possible penny from the consumer. I cannot plan to go to NYC or anywhere that uses a toll because they will be quick to raise the replenishment limit. I work every day and spend $1.50 in toll in total. How is it that I go to NYC one time and all of a sudden they start charging me $10 more for a Lincoln Tunnel difference of 12.50? I went to NYC 4 months later and in one trip spent $30 in tolls. That somehow averaged to a $25 difference in 3 months? How the heck does that make any sense? How does $30 difference in 3 months average to a $25 dollar increase? And right before Christmas? Yeah, sounds like somebody is trying to get an early Christmas gift.

This is ridiculous! The website sucks and is of low quality, customer service representatives are extremely rude and unprofessional. Always answer the phone and respond with an attitude and even though they say that "the system" will re-evaluate and adjust 3 months later, that is total bull. "The system" is quick to increase your rate but they will never decrease it. Never seen an decrease in the 3+ years that I have been with them. The total hierarchy of this system and this staff should be looked into. I would not be surprised if there is some sort of underground illegal things happening here.

If you have a low digit plate in Massachusetts, check your bill as Massachusetts issues the same numbers for commercial plates. I am in a vortex being charged 30 a day for a commercial account. They told me to get new plates.

I pull commercial trailers for a living. I have 3 days to turn in my Toll receipt. EZ Pass MA takes 6-8 days to register. I drive through IN, OH, NY and they all register immediately. Massachusetts is very slow and costing me out of pocket... This is not at all fair... Shame on Massachusetts!!

I decided to look through my mail and found a letter from a law firm for EZ Pass violations. YES! I do know that I haven't paid. YES! I do know that I have under $300 worth of unpaid EZ Pass tolls. So I thought! Just got off the phone with the law firm. Apparently, my account has a $1200 something balance. I asked him how is that even possible?!? I told him that I knew for a fact I probably had a MAX of $300 worth of tolls. He explained to me that my actual toll balance was $210 and that it got so high due to fees. Are you freakin' kidding me?!? No, NY State has a law where it's a $25 fee per unpaid toll.

This whole EZ PASS BS has people right on their tippy toes! If you fail to pay after the law firm sends you their final notice, the DMV will suspend your registration. I asked him if there was anything he could do. And after checking, he said he can do a settlement of 50% off which came out to $700 and something. Well that's better than $1200. Payment plan? Yes! But it can't be towards the settlement! The settlement has to be paid upfront. Now how can a college student afford that upfront?!? So, now I'm STILL stuck with paying the $1200 in payments!! S.O.B!!!

I just tried to renew my registration and come to find out I had EZ pass violations from 2015; never received invoice and they stated they mailed 3. Ready for this. So from $3.00 for each violation it went to $90.00. This is a complete disgusting way to treat your residence. I put an appeal but it can only bring down to $40.00 for each violation. I am a first offender and I find this just unbelievable. Secondly, how can you possibly agree with this to hold on to someone's registration for not even knowing about these violations. I am sorry but this is just an injustice to me and the residence of MA.

Driving through NJ in a motor home. Toll booth at exit 14C said we couldn't take the MH through the Holland Tunnel due to having Propane. So they made us get off the Turnpike. We did, then drove 20 miles out of our way, paid $45 to go over the Washington Bridge to NY. When we get home we find they gave us a toll violation for not paying... WHEN THEY TOLD US TO GET OFF the turnpike. We filled out the dispute paperwork, tried calling, they said they couldn't help us because we actually went through the booth, are you kidding me? We should have waited and got a form from the toll attendant saying they were waiving the fee since we weren't actually using any more of the turnpike. We never heard anything until they sent us a second violation and now they have it in collections and added $50 to it. ** thiefs!!!

Against my better judgement, I signed up for an EZPass. When I received my credit card statement, I had been charged three times for a transponder. After more than an hour on the phone with a CSR who seemed clueless and told me she didn't know if refunds were given and that I must have ordered three transponders - she couldn't explain, though, why EZ Pass sent me only one transponder. After being on hold for the third time, she returned and said a refund would be made.

This morning, I received a reply to an earlier email I had sent and the reply mentioned my conversation with the CSR and suggested I call again. Just got off the phone and the CSR said there was nothing on the record about a refund and that I should call back later. Oh, ya. In addition, there's a glitch in their website, since I discovered I was charged for two trips over the Tobin Bridge on a day when I did not leave the house. Would be nice if they could get things right.

Received a letter and new pass, asking me to send old one back BUT the letter listed a number for a pass I do not have. I had one in my car for many years and one in a motorcycle for many years - total 2 for 2 vehicles that I own. When I called and tried to explain they insisted that I have 4 vehicles and 4 EZpasses. I tried to explain that I have only EVER had 2 passes. The response was "You can't expect us to just believe customers when they tell us they don't have these passes". Really? I tried to explain that I have only used 2 passes, because I only had 2 vehicles, and read them the numbers for what I had in my possession.

All I got was continuous RUDE arguments, even to the point that I was told "you're wrong. You have 4 passes and you have to send that one back". No matter how many ways I attempted to explain that I didn't have the pass they listed in the letter, and have had the same 2 passes for years, they continued to insist I had 4 and must return the one listed in the letter. I tried to explain that any other passes assigned to me were not mine and if they were in use it wasn't by me. The response was "if they are in use it's you!" These people are unbelievably rude and should in no way be serving the public. Instead of trying to be helpful they simply argue, and tell customers they are wrong. Someone should investigate how they operate and definitely send them out for lessons on customer service. If the people I spoke to worked anywhere else they would be fired.

E-Z Pass Company Profile