1.06/5

Need a utility company?

New England

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

542 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In December 2018, I drove from PA to NY to spend Christmas with my parents. What used to be $.75 tolls at the NY-PA border on I476N are now $.90 EZ Pass ONLY tolls OR $2.00 "Pay By Plate" tolls. I had my change all ready, but no toll collectors, and I'll (hopefully) be mailing in my "Pay By Plate" payments. From the looks of the reviews, it looks like they'll get you on a 'technicality' of late fee, speeding through a toll, or other such garbage to extort money. I checked the EZ Pass website, and it's a $35 fee for the pass (per vehicle), and $3 annual fee. I know it's cliche to say "there should be a law"...but there should be a law!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

How are E-Z Pass and pay by plate not linked? It's so they can screw the consumer so when you pay your E-Z Pass the other keeps accruing fees. And the people at customer service are the rudest people I've ever dealt with in customer service. What an absolute travesty.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is my first time writing a review, ever. I am so frustrated with E-Z Pass and their website. I made a payment yesterday and everything was confusing but I got through it and I thought everything would be fine. Today, I tried to log into my account and I could not log in anymore. I tried resetting my password and nothing worked. Their website is outdated and doesn't work. Their customer service is terrible. Their system is terrible and they are not operating as a functioning company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I keep adding money to my balance because every time I add money to the negative balance they accumulate, the balance gets back to negative. It is stealing. This is very bad and another thing why Pay By Plate is accumulating in my account when I have a transponder and keep adding money to my account. Pls if anyone can help me to straighten this out. I can’t afford it to keep adding money and them taking it abruptly bringing my account back to negative balance and Pay By Plate accumulating. Pls anyone can help thanks.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I am going through the difficult time trying to set up my account to be paid automatically from my checking account. 3 girl from customer service were confused and could not process it. I was on the phone with the supervisor Janet. She asked me to FAX my bank info to her, as she could not get it on the phone either. I did fax it. Fax was not working, I called back, another 15-20 minutes on the phone without saying anything she transferred me to another supervisor, she's telling me fax is out of service and asking me to fax on a different line. I am asking her to be on the phone when fax get through, she is saying it's not possible as it's another side of the building, she takes my phone number and promised to call me back. The fax she gave me turns to be a phone line, I am calling back. Very unprofessional and incompetent, hope management could train and replace some staff members in order to function effectively.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I contacted customer service 18003338655 around 7:20am to be educated on why automated system was provide a minimum amount due higher than my last transaction 1 week ago. Also why I received multiple violations in mail although I used the E-Z Pass. CSR Sharma was tone was very condescending. After providing my option I ask if I can make payment of 177.00 she repeatedly repeated herself without directly answering my question. Finally when ask if the answer was yes or no she transferred me to make a one time payment but did not lower threshold as she stated she would. I had to speak with a 2nd CSR Debbie around 7:33am who very helpful. In total I spent 30 minutes unnecessarily had the CSR listen and was not so bent on telling me what she wanted me to do.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I live in FL (it is nice and warm today) but in August I was on my way to NH and had to pass through MA. The MA E-Z system does not accept my FL E-Z system. How convenient. And not having an option to pay cash, as there are no toll booths, I have to Pay-By-Plate. OK, so I'll pay my 50 cent toll when I get back home and find it in the mail. Oh no, no, no. The bill comes in the mail before I back to FL. Guess what, I have a LATE FEE because I didn't rush right back home to pay my "E-Z" toll. After numerous phone calls and playing a lot of solitaire while on hold I cave to the Massachusetts Socialist Republic and wind up paying $5.60 for a 50 cent toll. Fool me once shame on me, but you'll never fool me twice. Next trip I'll go by way of NY, VT, NH.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had E-Z Pass for years leaving in NJ-NJ Metro area. Initially I have used NJ E-Z Pass, but starting doing a lot of trips from NY to NJ and instead paying full price. I took NY E-Z Pass, so could save some money, because holding NJ E-Z Pass, paying full price coming out of NY. I drove the company car and used my E-Z Pass until I returned the vehicle back to the company and moved out. Last week on Saturday at 1 a.m. I received email regarding replenishment to my account and I had a concern, why??? I have my transponder with me and I am in Florida now and cannot use E-Z Pass down here. I went online and what a surprise, looks like I am going thru Tolls everywhere in NJ and NY, and I am not... I tried to call right away, and there is no answer till Monday's operation time. So I went online and submitted my message.

It is almost 6 days and no respond whatsoever. Then I had to call to my credit card to bring up my concern. Then I tried to go back to website and could not sign on anymore. So I had to wait till Monday to speak physically with someone alive. Monday the office was closed for Holiday observance. What a life... Then on Tuesday morning at 7 am I finally spoke with agent who helped me out to get sign on again, but there were no solution except I owe them the money, period. Spoke to supervisor, who told me the same story. Another words, go screw yourself. I took my credit card account out of the site. On the activity report shows the Plate number going thru tolls, but nobody cares who was driving the car, they made me appointed to the only ONE, who is going to pay for that fearless leader driving that damn car thru tolls without transponder.

I do not have that car since I left the company, since March of this year and whoever assumed the car is the one who is driving and should responsible. I called today again and the answer was: "YOU ARE THE ONE," like singing the song to me. This is being the most disgusting experience, where you are 100% right, but the company is really telling you that you are wrong. And instead of going thru records to find via DMV, whose plate and the vehicle belong to, easy to point to the previous driver and steal his money out his account. Perhaps I should call the Police and file the report and not wait anymore for someone else who not only not paying the tolls, but could hit someone or even worse, and the one will be responsible, like these folks from E-Z Pass singing to me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I drove my boss to work, we used her E-Z Pass transponder. Now 2 weeks later I received a toll violation, because her account was negative. My now former boss says, it is my problem. E-Z Pass customer service is refusing to collect and bill the E-Z Pass holder and now charges the driver the toll. This is not right, it is her account and if there are insufficient funds in the account, sent her the bill, since I provided name and address.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I recently drove from South Carolina to Massachusetts. During my drive on I95 I noticed the E-Z Pass signs and signs for “No cash” payments. I called E-Z Pass while driving and gave the representative my license #, plate # and email address. They said I’d simply get a bill. I then explained that I was driving from South Carolina through all the states to Massachusetts and is there anything else I need to do. They said “no” and that I “Should be fine.” I am now learning how complicated the toll systems are. However I was an unsuspecting motorist that had NO IDEA how the tolls work. We have no tolls in South Carolina. And I assure you that I had no interest in violating a toll. I have paid the toll amounts and have asked that the administrative fees be removed. The Delaware E-Z Pass refuses.

E-Z Pass Company Information