2. Homeowners

New England

3.8/5 (282 ratings)

About E-Z Pass

E-Z Pass Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: April 4, 2019

I left the east coast many years ago and apparently forgot to close the account for my transponder. I only realized this when I got charge a renewal fee of $35. So for about 7 years they've collected annual fees for no service, but they would not refund the full amount when I called in to complain and close my account. This company is happy to take your money for nothing! Would it be that hard to update your system to send an e-mail to customers if they haven't passed through a toll collection site in 5 years? Answer: No.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My husband and I always pay when going through the tolls. And we always ask for a receipt. However a week or so later, we get citations in the mail saying that we just go on thru. We always have our receipts to prove that we paid. This system is a fraud and we've decided to now take it to court. This happens too often and we're tired of it!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I drove a friend to JFK from Orange County NY and picked her up as well. The Tappan Zee was under construction at that time. I’m so naive, I thought at first that the toll was waived because of the terrible conditions! When the bill came, I paid it late; then later, paid $10 in late fees ($5 each way). Months passed, and when I got yet another letter declaring unpaid fines, I sent a note with a copy of the check. Today, 2 years later, I’ve a collection letter for $60! Huh???

Original review: March 23, 2019

My wife drove over a bridge in NY. Activated toll. My first notification was a bill for the toll $1.25 and a $5.00 late fee. I went to their website, and they don't provide any evidence (ie. a date when the first bill was sent). So I can only conclude that they wait for the bill to be past due before sending the bill to raise more revenue.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This company should not have rights to fine unless they train their Representatives to be competent enough to explain policies. To be honest, making the tolls electronic have given them the opportunity to fine people wrongfully for violations they didn't even know about, (in my case) making this just another scam supported by the state. Thanks a lot E-Z Pass for further crushing the common Man.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I got a call yesterday stating I owe 1,000 in unpaid tolls, so I said to myself, "Ok, I'll pay the 1000", but they refused to take 1000. After it wasn't E-Z Pass calling me. It was a collection department calling me, claiming that I need to pay 26,000 in tolls and fine, it's 8.50$ per toll and each unpaid toll is 100 fee. The rep told me that I can no longer pay the toll. That we have to negotiate a number to pay MTA/E-Z pass or they could suspend my license, so I've asked, "Is 2000$ a better number?" The rep claimed a better number to pay is between 7000-10,000$. I wanted to faint when I heard that, how is a company benefiting like this- Is there any possible way to outcome out of this? I can't seem to pay 10,000$. This is outrageous.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I cross the GWB every day with two other co-workers, this month alone I checked my bill and four times I was not credited the discounted amount for carpool. The workers fail to look at you when you say carpool and constantly fail to touch their screen so that the credit is applied. This is ridiculous, I have been given dirty looks by the workers.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was issued a new credit card so my E-Z Pass account would not replenish. They are charging me 200.00 on a $5 toll... They have contacted creditors. This is ridiculous. I disputed it and now the creditors said they would take 50% off and charge me 100.00. The toll was $5... Are they serious...

Original review: March 2, 2019

I crossed the Grand Island Bridge 18 times in the course of a month and received a first time bill of 918.00 for violation of nonpayment fee. That's $51.00 every time I crossed the Bridge. How can an 18.00 bill become 918.00? I called the E-Z Pass number included on bill and and explained I received this bill for the first time with a violation fee and asked why there is such a large fee attached? I was assured the fee would be dropped as long as I paid the $18.00 and bought an E-Z PASS with a minimum balance of 25.00. That is the very definition of extortion, but I could not afford 900.00 at the time so what was I to do. I paid and bought an E-Z PASS and thought this was over.

I noticed in my bank account that E-Z Pass charged me twice the 25.00 so tried to contact them by email and phone. Their system was down at the time so I filed a complaint with the BBB. That was Sunday. Monday I went to my bank and changed my card so NYS could not take any more money out of my account. NYS Thruway called me on Tues to settle the BBB complaint. I spoke with their rep and explained my frustration with their method of collection and extortion of money. The rep found two passes across the bridge were not even mine and removed from the bill, also refunded the 25.00 overcharged on my account.

At the end of our conversation she asked if I was happy with the outcome of our discussion? She wanted it removed from BBB site. I told her I felt I was a victim of extortion. How can the state get away with such high fees and shady practices. Any person who receives a bill with such a high fee has no choice but to pay one way or the other. Pay the fines or buy an E-Z Pass, NYS will get rich off of your money one way or the other.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I got a violation in the mail from NY E-ZPass. I haven’t lived in NY for 3 years, I moved to Hawaii. They have my old plate# listed. I called the NY DMV and they have record that my plates were surrendered in 2016. DMV said I would have to produce old receipt or pay them $5 to send me proof that I will then have to send to E-ZPass to dispute the charge. You would think these agencies would get their act together and communicate with each other and cut down on wasting taxpayer dollars! But no. This is an extra stream of revenue, all the bogus violations.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

This company not only did not waive the fees for my first time violation as they claim they did for first time violators as they stated in their letter of violation to me. I felt I had been wronged so I called their customer service line to talk with a representative and they informed that they can only be contacted by mail (which in itself is just ridiculous), so I did just that. I sent in a three page letter explaining how I felt I had been wronged and the accusations brought upon me in their letter of violations and went into great detail explaining.

I waited maybe two more weeks and still no reply and in fact, I was afraid they would add more fees to my "violation", so I caved in and paid it. After all, it is not like I will never use their toll services again. I feel as a customer, I have been neglected and even bullied into paying their unjust fees without a response to me from my letter as well. Not to mention, every time I called their customer service, I was met with extremely rude customer service representatives and/or a representative with extremely thick Indian accents which made it near impossible to understand what they were saying which adds onto the frustrations of this matter even further. Please, as a customer, be kind and treat your customers better in the future! Very disappointed in their services and I feel I have been deeply wronged. I beg of you to fix your business and business model! This is more like a scam company more than a legitimate business!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I live in NY and have a NY E-Z Pass account. We visit friends throughout Massachusetts regularly. We have never had an issue with tolls until November 2, 2018. Our E-Z Pass transponder was read a number of times in NY and MA on the way to Springfield and on the way back home. We received a bill from Pay By Plate MA stating that their sensor at Westfield-East read our license plate and billed us for the toll. It was an amount that was higher than what would have been charged for the toll with an E-Z Pass.

I have untold hours on-line, on hold, speaking with E-Z Pass NY and MA and writing letters. They continue to reject my appeal. I have provided proof that we had an actively working transponder on 11/2/18 which worked earlier that day on the Mass Pike and later in the day- exhibited on my November E-Z Pass statement. I have provided proof the license plate is associated with an E-Z Pass account- they say they can link the plates to you even if you have no transponder. And some people are saying government run health insurance will be a better way to go...

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They charged me twice, 1 minute apart. Once going southbound at Fort McHenry, then 1 minute later, going north. I called to dispute it and they doubled down, saying I probably drove through the tunnel (1.5 miles each way), circled at Key Highway, and came back...1 minute later. That's 180 MPH negating the loop and 2 lights at the bottom of Key Highway to come back. The woman realized what she said was stupid after I pointed out how fast I would have to go, but still wouldn't give me back my $1.40.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

E-Z Pass apparently sent me tags that do not belong to me. We have 3 in the house, and recently they stopped working. When calling in, I was informed "someone" (not anyone in my house) reported the tags stolen or lost. When I explained they are not lost, a rep said "oh ok, I will reactivate them, just call back when you get the violations and we will credit the account". Upon receiving the violation (3 cars at approx 9 tolls), only 2 weeks later, I am now being informed all the tags do not belong to me, they are another person's. When I asked, "How can this be fixed?" I was told, "Just mail the tags back with a post it note explaining what is going on". Are you kidding me? Who is running E-Z Pass? Uncle Floyd?

This is not my error, I have 3 cars that commute, why can't they send 3 tags and deactivate the ones I have? Also, if they are not mine, why would E-Z Pass not immediately deactivate the tags and escalate this to someone who can fix the problem? This is completely disgusting and this is criminal, how they can just charge people randomly, mix up accounts and have no way of fixing them, where is the supervision? The quality control? PS. 1 star only because I had to put 1, they don't deserve a single star.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

So, this month E-Z Pass of Massachusetts decided to charge my account four (4) times in one month for tunnel access. Even though I reside in Virginia, the E-Z Pass of Mass worked better for me because it replenished my account automatically when I got down to $40 instead watching the web to update my account. Their claim is they DO NOT LIKE to charge customers' accounts more than twice a month because the banks believe there may be fraud and stop the transaction. This sounds more like a finance officer's preference because if someone owes money then you collect. So with this being said they charge my account for a total of $465 in one month. I have 4 vehicles with transponders with only three on the road. None of my family activity has changed when it comes to the tolls so what cause their system to run a report & decide to raise my auto-replenishment from $75 to $240.

Both agents that I spoke to made me feel like they were doing me a favor by adjusting the amount but I CONTROL MY BUDGET. Not a computer. When I called my account was positive, I owed no money & never have so why was I being talked to like a deadbeat. A computer can not determine a person's personal responsibilities in other areas of their life & this tactic was unjustified. The second lady slipped up after telling me how long we were on the phone & said the "new system" meaning this was not always the case in my billing.

I have yet to see on their website where they can just arbitrarily force my rate increase over the analytics of a computer. They said the computer looked at my last three months' toll usage & deemed my new replenishment rate. BULL. Here's the bottom line; people don't time to watch their tolls daily to place money on their accounts. Why are we paying to use public road for survival? It's a shame to pay to go to work & even worse those who pay to park at their jobs. This may sound off tandem but everybody is robbing us!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Recently I noticed a "Statement fee" that appears on the E-Z Pass monthly email. When I called to complain, the charge was waived and I will now get a bi-monthly "free statement". Amazing how they can help themselves to $12.00 annually without any notice. Also, their phone number was down over the weekend.

When I called, there was an announcement that "if you are over 60, we have a special offer." OK, I was, so I clicked. Somebody then tried to sell me a medical alert.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I received a letter from a collection agency for $54.75. This was a surprise because I never received a bill or saw a violations on the E-Z Pass site. I called to inquire. The rep automatically had a rude defensive attitude before I could even ask a question. She started every response with a nasty "sir". Calm down Cardi B. I was just asking questions. She said I didn't get an email alert and didn't see a notification on the site because I have NY E-Z Pass. Not NJ. Anyway, I just got frustrated and gave up on follow up questions. So annoying that "customer service" can't be nicer and more helpful. I know it must be tough dealing with people all day but, not every customer is calling to be a problem. I purposely didn't pay this girl because I don't want her to get credit for the collection. I will pay online.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In December 2018, I drove from PA to NY to spend Christmas with my parents. What used to be $.75 tolls at the NY-PA border on I476N are now $.90 EZ Pass ONLY tolls OR $2.00 "Pay By Plate" tolls. I had my change all ready, but no toll collectors, and I'll (hopefully) be mailing in my "Pay By Plate" payments. From the looks of the reviews, it looks like they'll get you on a 'technicality' of late fee, speeding through a toll, or other such garbage to extort money. I checked the EZ Pass website, and it's a $35 fee for the pass (per vehicle), and $3 annual fee. I know it's cliche to say "there should be a law"...but there should be a law!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

How are E-Z Pass and pay by plate not linked? It's so they can screw the consumer so when you pay your E-Z Pass the other keeps accruing fees. And the people at customer service are the rudest people I've ever dealt with in customer service. What an absolute travesty.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is my first time writing a review, ever. I am so frustrated with E-Z Pass and their website. I made a payment yesterday and everything was confusing but I got through it and I thought everything would be fine. Today, I tried to log into my account and I could not log in anymore. I tried resetting my password and nothing worked. Their website is outdated and doesn't work. Their customer service is terrible. Their system is terrible and they are not operating as a functioning company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I keep adding money to my balance because every time I add money to the negative balance they accumulate, the balance gets back to negative. It is stealing. This is very bad and another thing why Pay By Plate is accumulating in my account when I have a transponder and keep adding money to my account. Pls if anyone can help me to straighten this out. I can’t afford it to keep adding money and them taking it abruptly bringing my account back to negative balance and Pay By Plate accumulating. Pls anyone can help thanks.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I am going through the difficult time trying to set up my account to be paid automatically from my checking account. 3 girl from customer service were confused and could not process it. I was on the phone with the supervisor Janet. She asked me to FAX my bank info to her, as she could not get it on the phone either. I did fax it. Fax was not working, I called back, another 15-20 minutes on the phone without saying anything she transferred me to another supervisor, she's telling me fax is out of service and asking me to fax on a different line. I am asking her to be on the phone when fax get through, she is saying it's not possible as it's another side of the building, she takes my phone number and promised to call me back. The fax she gave me turns to be a phone line, I am calling back. Very unprofessional and incompetent, hope management could train and replace some staff members in order to function effectively.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I contacted customer service 18003338655 around 7:20am to be educated on why automated system was provide a minimum amount due higher than my last transaction 1 week ago. Also why I received multiple violations in mail although I used the E-Z Pass. CSR Sharma was tone was very condescending. After providing my option I ask if I can make payment of 177.00 she repeatedly repeated herself without directly answering my question. Finally when ask if the answer was yes or no she transferred me to make a one time payment but did not lower threshold as she stated she would. I had to speak with a 2nd CSR Debbie around 7:33am who very helpful. In total I spent 30 minutes unnecessarily had the CSR listen and was not so bent on telling me what she wanted me to do.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I live in FL (it is nice and warm today) but in August I was on my way to NH and had to pass through MA. The MA E-Z system does not accept my FL E-Z system. How convenient. And not having an option to pay cash, as there are no toll booths, I have to Pay-By-Plate. OK, so I'll pay my 50 cent toll when I get back home and find it in the mail. Oh no, no, no. The bill comes in the mail before I back to FL. Guess what, I have a LATE FEE because I didn't rush right back home to pay my "E-Z" toll. After numerous phone calls and playing a lot of solitaire while on hold I cave to the Massachusetts Socialist Republic and wind up paying $5.60 for a 50 cent toll. Fool me once shame on me, but you'll never fool me twice. Next trip I'll go by way of NY, VT, NH.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had E-Z Pass for years leaving in NJ-NJ Metro area. Initially I have used NJ E-Z Pass, but starting doing a lot of trips from NY to NJ and instead paying full price. I took NY E-Z Pass, so could save some money, because holding NJ E-Z Pass, paying full price coming out of NY. I drove the company car and used my E-Z Pass until I returned the vehicle back to the company and moved out. Last week on Saturday at 1 a.m. I received email regarding replenishment to my account and I had a concern, why??? I have my transponder with me and I am in Florida now and cannot use E-Z Pass down here. I went online and what a surprise, looks like I am going thru Tolls everywhere in NJ and NY, and I am not... I tried to call right away, and there is no answer till Monday's operation time. So I went online and submitted my message.

It is almost 6 days and no respond whatsoever. Then I had to call to my credit card to bring up my concern. Then I tried to go back to website and could not sign on anymore. So I had to wait till Monday to speak physically with someone alive. Monday the office was closed for Holiday observance. What a life... Then on Tuesday morning at 7 am I finally spoke with agent who helped me out to get sign on again, but there were no solution except I owe them the money, period. Spoke to supervisor, who told me the same story. Another words, go screw yourself. I took my credit card account out of the site. On the activity report shows the Plate number going thru tolls, but nobody cares who was driving the car, they made me appointed to the only ONE, who is going to pay for that fearless leader driving that damn car thru tolls without transponder.

I do not have that car since I left the company, since March of this year and whoever assumed the car is the one who is driving and should responsible. I called today again and the answer was: "YOU ARE THE ONE," like singing the song to me. This is being the most disgusting experience, where you are 100% right, but the company is really telling you that you are wrong. And instead of going thru records to find via DMV, whose plate and the vehicle belong to, easy to point to the previous driver and steal his money out his account. Perhaps I should call the Police and file the report and not wait anymore for someone else who not only not paying the tolls, but could hit someone or even worse, and the one will be responsible, like these folks from E-Z Pass singing to me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I drove my boss to work, we used her E-Z Pass transponder. Now 2 weeks later I received a toll violation, because her account was negative. My now former boss says, it is my problem. E-Z Pass customer service is refusing to collect and bill the E-Z Pass holder and now charges the driver the toll. This is not right, it is her account and if there are insufficient funds in the account, sent her the bill, since I provided name and address.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I recently drove from South Carolina to Massachusetts. During my drive on I95 I noticed the E-Z Pass signs and signs for “No cash” payments. I called E-Z Pass while driving and gave the representative my license #, plate # and email address. They said I’d simply get a bill. I then explained that I was driving from South Carolina through all the states to Massachusetts and is there anything else I need to do. They said “no” and that I “Should be fine.” I am now learning how complicated the toll systems are. However I was an unsuspecting motorist that had NO IDEA how the tolls work. We have no tolls in South Carolina. And I assure you that I had no interest in violating a toll. I have paid the toll amounts and have asked that the administrative fees be removed. The Delaware E-Z Pass refuses.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have received so many bills while my account is up to date. Now I recently have been sent to collections for a bill of $759. On top of that, they have me owing them near $2200.00. When I called once the representative put me on hold and never came back. I then called back and the pre-recorded line said it was after hours. Just pitiful!!! What a sham!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Today I received a letter from collection agency again because of E-Z Pass. I have paid all bills and my account balance of tolls by mail for the car has been zero for more than half of a year. About one month ago, E-Z Pass asked me to pay $31 which dated back in Mar 2017. I paid $1 and mailed my account information to dispute the $31. As usual they conveniently ignored my account information and transferred the $30 left to a collection agency. In addition to the current issue, about one year ago, I asked for refund of $500 twice because it was my bank’s fault. I never asked my bank to credit back the $56 in Sep 2017 which I paid E-Z Pass in Aug of 2017. Because of it, I was charged penalty of $500 (the penalty is simply outrageous for $56). After I found the issue, I immediately told my bank and my bank reversed the mistake and charged my credit card $56 in Nov. 2017.

I filed appeal for the $500 penalty to E-Z Pass on Dec 1, 2017. I checked my account after a while and found the balance was still $556 without any change. I called E-Z Pass and my credit card company numerous times and the answers were: Bank paid the amount of $56; E-Z Pass did not receive it. E-Z Pass also told me they did not receive the appeal letter even I told them I had the USPS tracking number. Soon later they transferred the $500 penalty to a collection agency. In the end I have to mail $56 check to E-Z Pass with the appeal letter. I paid $500 with my credit card in January 2018 and intended to deal with the $500 issue later. Up to now, I did not receive any response from E-Z Pass for my appeal of the $500 penalty. I hereby ask for refund of $500. Also because I paid $56 twice plus the recent payment of $1 as my account balance was zero long time ago, I ask for refund of $57.00 in addition to the $500.

By the way, E-Z Pass received my checks every time but conveniently lost my appeal letter or ignored my appeal letter every time. It is just unacceptable. As E-Z Pass has the power to suspend people’s vehicle registration, I just do not understand how they could be so irresponsible and ignore people’s letter, and how they could charge such outrageous penalties. I believe countless people have been bothered by the same issues like mine but many people just did not have time to deal with the issues or lost related documents. E-Z Pass seems quite comfortable with their questionable practice even after TV exposed their unreasonable behavior in February this year, and continues their business as usual. They did not bother to set up a website so people without E-Z Pass account could appeal online. And they could conveniently lose or ignore people’s appeal letter even people have proof of sending the letter, again and again!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Went to Niagara Falls for 2 days on vacation. Stopped and paid tolls at booths staffed by attendants. A few weeks after returning home to PA, I got a bill in the mail saying I owed $4 in tolls. I disputed it because we stopped and paid cash at ALL booths. In turn, I was sent a bill for $9. I disputed it too. Today, I got a red “violations” envelope and a bill for $251! No, that is not a typo. A $4 fee that I didn’t even owe in the first place has now become $251.

E-Z Pass Company Information