1.06/5

Need a utility company?

New England

559 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

This company not only did not waive the fees for my first time violation as they claim they did for first time violators as they stated in their letter of violation to me. I felt I had been wronged so I called their customer service line to talk with a representative and they informed that they can only be contacted by mail (which in itself is just ridiculous), so I did just that. I sent in a three page letter explaining how I felt I had been wronged and the accusations brought upon me in their letter of violations and went into great detail explaining.

I waited maybe two more weeks and still no reply and in fact, I was afraid they would add more fees to my "violation", so I caved in and paid it. After all, it is not like I will never use their toll services again. I feel as a customer, I have been neglected and even bullied into paying their unjust fees without a response to me from my letter as well. Not to mention, every time I called their customer service, I was met with extremely rude customer service representatives and/or a representative with extremely thick Indian accents which made it near impossible to understand what they were saying which adds onto the frustrations of this matter even further. Please, as a customer, be kind and treat your customers better in the future! Very disappointed in their services and I feel I have been deeply wronged. I beg of you to fix your business and business model! This is more like a scam company more than a legitimate business!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I live in NY and have a NY E-Z Pass account. We visit friends throughout Massachusetts regularly. We have never had an issue with tolls until November 2, 2018. Our E-Z Pass transponder was read a number of times in NY and MA on the way to Springfield and on the way back home. We received a bill from Pay By Plate MA stating that their sensor at Westfield-East read our license plate and billed us for the toll. It was an amount that was higher than what would have been charged for the toll with an E-Z Pass.

I have untold hours on-line, on hold, speaking with E-Z Pass NY and MA and writing letters. They continue to reject my appeal. I have provided proof that we had an actively working transponder on 11/2/18 which worked earlier that day on the Mass Pike and later in the day- exhibited on my November E-Z Pass statement. I have provided proof the license plate is associated with an E-Z Pass account- they say they can link the plates to you even if you have no transponder. And some people are saying government run health insurance will be a better way to go...

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They charged me twice, 1 minute apart. Once going southbound at Fort McHenry, then 1 minute later, going north. I called to dispute it and they doubled down, saying I probably drove through the tunnel (1.5 miles each way), circled at Key Highway, and came back...1 minute later. That's 180 MPH negating the loop and 2 lights at the bottom of Key Highway to come back. The woman realized what she said was stupid after I pointed out how fast I would have to go, but still wouldn't give me back my $1.40.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

E-Z Pass apparently sent me tags that do not belong to me. We have 3 in the house, and recently they stopped working. When calling in, I was informed "someone" (not anyone in my house) reported the tags stolen or lost. When I explained they are not lost, a rep said "oh ok, I will reactivate them, just call back when you get the violations and we will credit the account". Upon receiving the violation (3 cars at approx 9 tolls), only 2 weeks later, I am now being informed all the tags do not belong to me, they are another person's. When I asked, "How can this be fixed?" I was told, "Just mail the tags back with a post it note explaining what is going on". Are you kidding me? Who is running E-Z Pass? Uncle Floyd?

This is not my error, I have 3 cars that commute, why can't they send 3 tags and deactivate the ones I have? Also, if they are not mine, why would E-Z Pass not immediately deactivate the tags and escalate this to someone who can fix the problem? This is completely disgusting and this is criminal, how they can just charge people randomly, mix up accounts and have no way of fixing them, where is the supervision? The quality control? PS. 1 star only because I had to put 1, they don't deserve a single star.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

So, this month E-Z Pass of Massachusetts decided to charge my account four (4) times in one month for tunnel access. Even though I reside in Virginia, the E-Z Pass of Mass worked better for me because it replenished my account automatically when I got down to $40 instead watching the web to update my account. Their claim is they DO NOT LIKE to charge customers' accounts more than twice a month because the banks believe there may be fraud and stop the transaction. This sounds more like a finance officer's preference because if someone owes money then you collect. So with this being said they charge my account for a total of $465 in one month. I have 4 vehicles with transponders with only three on the road. None of my family activity has changed when it comes to the tolls so what cause their system to run a report & decide to raise my auto-replenishment from $75 to $240.

Both agents that I spoke to made me feel like they were doing me a favor by adjusting the amount but I CONTROL MY BUDGET. Not a computer. When I called my account was positive, I owed no money & never have so why was I being talked to like a deadbeat. A computer can not determine a person's personal responsibilities in other areas of their life & this tactic was unjustified. The second lady slipped up after telling me how long we were on the phone & said the "new system" meaning this was not always the case in my billing.

I have yet to see on their website where they can just arbitrarily force my rate increase over the analytics of a computer. They said the computer looked at my last three months' toll usage & deemed my new replenishment rate. BULL. Here's the bottom line; people don't time to watch their tolls daily to place money on their accounts. Why are we paying to use public road for survival? It's a shame to pay to go to work & even worse those who pay to park at their jobs. This may sound off tandem but everybody is robbing us!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Recently I noticed a "Statement fee" that appears on the E-Z Pass monthly email. When I called to complain, the charge was waived and I will now get a bi-monthly "free statement". Amazing how they can help themselves to $12.00 annually without any notice. Also, their phone number was down over the weekend.

When I called, there was an announcement that "if you are over 60, we have a special offer." OK, I was, so I clicked. Somebody then tried to sell me a medical alert.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I received a letter from a collection agency for $54.75. This was a surprise because I never received a bill or saw a violations on the E-Z Pass site. I called to inquire. The rep automatically had a rude defensive attitude before I could even ask a question. She started every response with a nasty "sir". Calm down Cardi B. I was just asking questions. She said I didn't get an email alert and didn't see a notification on the site because I have NY E-Z Pass. Not NJ. Anyway, I just got frustrated and gave up on follow up questions. So annoying that "customer service" can't be nicer and more helpful. I know it must be tough dealing with people all day but, not every customer is calling to be a problem. I purposely didn't pay this girl because I don't want her to get credit for the collection. I will pay online.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In December 2018, I drove from PA to NY to spend Christmas with my parents. What used to be $.75 tolls at the NY-PA border on I476N are now $.90 EZ Pass ONLY tolls OR $2.00 "Pay By Plate" tolls. I had my change all ready, but no toll collectors, and I'll (hopefully) be mailing in my "Pay By Plate" payments. From the looks of the reviews, it looks like they'll get you on a 'technicality' of late fee, speeding through a toll, or other such garbage to extort money. I checked the EZ Pass website, and it's a $35 fee for the pass (per vehicle), and $3 annual fee. I know it's cliche to say "there should be a law"...but there should be a law!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

How are E-Z Pass and pay by plate not linked? It's so they can screw the consumer so when you pay your E-Z Pass the other keeps accruing fees. And the people at customer service are the rudest people I've ever dealt with in customer service. What an absolute travesty.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is my first time writing a review, ever. I am so frustrated with E-Z Pass and their website. I made a payment yesterday and everything was confusing but I got through it and I thought everything would be fine. Today, I tried to log into my account and I could not log in anymore. I tried resetting my password and nothing worked. Their website is outdated and doesn't work. Their customer service is terrible. Their system is terrible and they are not operating as a functioning company.

E-Z Pass Company Information