1.04/5

Need a utility company?

New England

Need a utility company?

567 E-Z Pass Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2019

I drove a friend to JFK from Orange County NY and picked her up as well. The Tappan Zee was under construction at that time. I’m so naive, I thought at first that the toll was waived because of the terrible conditions! When the bill came, I paid it late; then later, paid $10 in late fees ($5 each way). Months passed, and when I got yet another letter declaring unpaid fines, I sent a note with a copy of the check. Today, 2 years later, I’ve a collection letter for $60! Huh???

Original review: March 23, 2019

My wife drove over a bridge in NY. Activated toll. My first notification was a bill for the toll $1.25 and a $5.00 late fee. I went to their website, and they don't provide any evidence (ie. a date when the first bill was sent). So I can only conclude that they wait for the bill to be past due before sending the bill to raise more revenue.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This company should not have rights to fine unless they train their Representatives to be competent enough to explain policies. To be honest, making the tolls electronic have given them the opportunity to fine people wrongfully for violations they didn't even know about, (in my case) making this just another scam supported by the state. Thanks a lot E-Z Pass for further crushing the common Man.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I got a call yesterday stating I owe 1,000 in unpaid tolls, so I said to myself, "Ok, I'll pay the 1000", but they refused to take 1000. After it wasn't E-Z Pass calling me. It was a collection department calling me, claiming that I need to pay 26,000 in tolls and fine, it's 8.50$ per toll and each unpaid toll is 100 fee. The rep told me that I can no longer pay the toll. That we have to negotiate a number to pay MTA/E-Z pass or they could suspend my license, so I've asked, "Is 2000$ a better number?" The rep claimed a better number to pay is between 7000-10,000$. I wanted to faint when I heard that, how is a company benefiting like this- Is there any possible way to outcome out of this? I can't seem to pay 10,000$. This is outrageous.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I cross the GWB every day with two other co-workers, this month alone I checked my bill and four times I was not credited the discounted amount for carpool. The workers fail to look at you when you say carpool and constantly fail to touch their screen so that the credit is applied. This is ridiculous, I have been given dirty looks by the workers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about E-Z Pass?

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was issued a new credit card so my E-Z Pass account would not replenish. They are charging me 200.00 on a $5 toll... They have contacted creditors. This is ridiculous. I disputed it and now the creditors said they would take 50% off and charge me 100.00. The toll was $5... Are they serious...

Original review: March 2, 2019

I crossed the Grand Island Bridge 18 times in the course of a month and received a first time bill of 918.00 for violation of nonpayment fee. That's $51.00 every time I crossed the Bridge. How can an 18.00 bill become 918.00? I called the E-Z Pass number included on bill and and explained I received this bill for the first time with a violation fee and asked why there is such a large fee attached? I was assured the fee would be dropped as long as I paid the $18.00 and bought an E-Z PASS with a minimum balance of 25.00. That is the very definition of extortion, but I could not afford 900.00 at the time so what was I to do. I paid and bought an E-Z PASS and thought this was over.

I noticed in my bank account that E-Z Pass charged me twice the 25.00 so tried to contact them by email and phone. Their system was down at the time so I filed a complaint with the BBB. That was Sunday. Monday I went to my bank and changed my card so NYS could not take any more money out of my account. NYS Thruway called me on Tues to settle the BBB complaint. I spoke with their rep and explained my frustration with their method of collection and extortion of money. The rep found two passes across the bridge were not even mine and removed from the bill, also refunded the 25.00 overcharged on my account.

At the end of our conversation she asked if I was happy with the outcome of our discussion? She wanted it removed from BBB site. I told her I felt I was a victim of extortion. How can the state get away with such high fees and shady practices. Any person who receives a bill with such a high fee has no choice but to pay one way or the other. Pay the fines or buy an E-Z Pass, NYS will get rich off of your money one way or the other.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I got a violation in the mail from NY E-ZPass. I haven’t lived in NY for 3 years, I moved to Hawaii. They have my old plate# listed. I called the NY DMV and they have record that my plates were surrendered in 2016. DMV said I would have to produce old receipt or pay them $5 to send me proof that I will then have to send to E-ZPass to dispute the charge. You would think these agencies would get their act together and communicate with each other and cut down on wasting taxpayer dollars! But no. This is an extra stream of revenue, all the bogus violations.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

This company not only did not waive the fees for my first time violation as they claim they did for first time violators as they stated in their letter of violation to me. I felt I had been wronged so I called their customer service line to talk with a representative and they informed that they can only be contacted by mail (which in itself is just ridiculous), so I did just that. I sent in a three page letter explaining how I felt I had been wronged and the accusations brought upon me in their letter of violations and went into great detail explaining.

I waited maybe two more weeks and still no reply and in fact, I was afraid they would add more fees to my "violation", so I caved in and paid it. After all, it is not like I will never use their toll services again. I feel as a customer, I have been neglected and even bullied into paying their unjust fees without a response to me from my letter as well. Not to mention, every time I called their customer service, I was met with extremely rude customer service representatives and/or a representative with extremely thick Indian accents which made it near impossible to understand what they were saying which adds onto the frustrations of this matter even further. Please, as a customer, be kind and treat your customers better in the future! Very disappointed in their services and I feel I have been deeply wronged. I beg of you to fix your business and business model! This is more like a scam company more than a legitimate business!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I live in NY and have a NY E-Z Pass account. We visit friends throughout Massachusetts regularly. We have never had an issue with tolls until November 2, 2018. Our E-Z Pass transponder was read a number of times in NY and MA on the way to Springfield and on the way back home. We received a bill from Pay By Plate MA stating that their sensor at Westfield-East read our license plate and billed us for the toll. It was an amount that was higher than what would have been charged for the toll with an E-Z Pass.

I have untold hours on-line, on hold, speaking with E-Z Pass NY and MA and writing letters. They continue to reject my appeal. I have provided proof that we had an actively working transponder on 11/2/18 which worked earlier that day on the Mass Pike and later in the day- exhibited on my November E-Z Pass statement. I have provided proof the license plate is associated with an E-Z Pass account- they say they can link the plates to you even if you have no transponder. And some people are saying government run health insurance will be a better way to go...

E-Z Pass Company Information