ConEdison

• 6%
  • 2%
  • 79%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?
    Verified purchase
    Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2022

I am writing to make a complaint about Con Ed electric company. In September 2015 I signed up for service with Con Ed. Con ed then told me there was a unpaid balance from that apartment that hadn't been paid previously. I explained to them on multiple occasions that me and the previous possessor of the apartment are two different people with two different names, birth dates, social security numbers and everything. They agreed however still refused to grant me service.

I then contacted New York State Department of Public Service. Con ed eventually gave me service 2 months later. In November 2019 I called Con ed to temporarily turn off my power because I would be going away. When I returned in April 2019 I asked for my power to be placed back on but they told me they cancelled my account. They then proceeded to make me a new account with out any issues. In November 2019 I left the apartment and requested my power to be turned off. Con ed now has added over $6,000 from a previous account that was a not mine onto my account. I called customer service numerous times. I requested a copy of all the bills. I've been calling for months with no response. They can clearly see the names, date of birth, socials are different. This is preventing me from getting a apartment and I have a voucher that expires in a month.

Profile pic of the author.
    Verified purchase
    Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2022

Since last August (2021) stopped receiving monthly bills by mail and on the website "my account" for unknown reason. My payment was set to automatic, so withdrawals of 6-7 hundred every 6-7 months was painful. Last bill was in August, 2021. My numerous calls, chats, e-mails were unsuccessful. Nobody could explain to me what is going on. They just promised to fix everything and never did. Now probably they will send a bill for 13 months or more. How can I pay this amount at once? Why nobody replied to e-mails. Phone calls and chats were promised to fix everything. It's so disgusting. I'd dropped them long time ago, but they have a monopoly. Some bills coming by mail, but they all say "no payment due". That's impossible since August 2021.

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2022

Be aware of ConEdison's charges, invoices and lack of transparency - gas bills are arbitrary and not based on your usage. My son is renting a small studio while going to NYU. In December 2021, his gas charges went up from $62 to over $290. When called to verify the charges, we were told that the charges are based on last year's usage and that they'll come and check the meter. We continued to pay about $300 through March and called again and were told they understand the overcharge and escalated the issue to their accounting.

We sent a picture of the meter disputing their arbitrary meter numbers but they continued overcharging through April. In August, I called again for an update and was told the case is still under review. It's been nine months that they have overcharged us and they keep saying they don't know when this case will be resolved. I'm frustrated and angry about how New York allows this business to continue and disregard consumer complaints. Who is protecting consumers here?

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed April 1, 2022

Con Edison is a big fat joke! They are just like Optimum, they nickel and dime every little thing with crappy service with expensive bills that just keep going up, and they blame everything on the customer. The past few months, my Con Ed bill suddenly went from being $250 to almost $900 a month, (Yes I get what's going on with inflation and Ukraine), but the customer service reps just don't care about their customers, and blame the high bills on us!! But instead of finding out the root causes of the high bills just like a normal respectful customer service agent would, Con Ed instead wants to fight with us over the phone and argue even after explaining our situation and speaking normally to them and they still try to fight us and blame it all on us, saying we can't fix it and telling us to conserve more energy next time!! Seriously I just want to yell at them and say I'm not gonna pay this until it's lowered! I swear I would!

We conserve as much energy as we possibly can like unplugging things, using less lights around the house, etc, but, I mean give me a break! They make it seem like we run a big box retail store in our house, it's unbelievable the way the representatives speak to us and treat us for the amount of money we pay and the amount of years we have been loyal customers, and instead of being understanding and maybe work to fix the issue with the high bills, instead, they wanna go against us and blame us for using so much.

There were multiple times when we had a power outage for days, even almost two weeks during a bad tropical storm, they left their customers on the backburner for two weeks in 90 degree heat, and they still send us a high bill saying we use too much... We have a 75 year old elderly mother who had to be in the sweltering heat with no AC or fan and no electricity last summer for two weeks because they couldn't fix jack crap, and we still receive a high bill, and no regard for their customers who had to suffer!

I'm getting sick and tired of their crap and paying almost $1K a month for absolutely subpar service, and I'm also getting sick and tired of the add on fees they keep adding every month, like I seriously think that Optimum and Con Ed are together because they both really like to screw their customers over and don't give a **, they both can go to hell with their big fat bills, and you know what? Next, I'm gonna call 7 on Your Side, maybe if they see the media coming after them and put them on blast and put them in their place, they'll actually start to finally giving a crap!

I cannot wait to move into a place with utilities included, because Con Edison is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, and I am very surprised by the way they screw their customers over that they haven't been shut down by the FBI!

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2022

I got a ConEdison saving electricity box and I started to use it. 1 month later they sent my father a letter saying that we were using 49% more energy than similar homes! While we were using their stuff that said that it would save our energy and save the amount of money we needed to pay for our bills. So in my opinion do not trust ConEd.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2022

Con Ed is not adhering to agreements. For the past 5 years I have had my accounts with ConEd on auto-pay. They stopped taking auto-payments w/o notice 11/2020. In 2021, every bill ConEd sent stated that I had a negative balance. So I assumed that I had overpaid. On 11/3/21, I called and and found out that they had just decided to stop taking payments from my account. I set up auto-pay again with Ms. Carols/ConEd Rep, in spite of the fact that she could not tell me why they stop taking payments. 3 mos after payment setup, they helped themselves to an excessively large (5xs), payment out of my checking account on 2/08/22, in the amount of $842.32, (w/o giving me prior notice).

When I called to inquire, rep, Ms. ** stated that there was a spike in billing. She claimed that this was for 62 days. My usual monthly usage ranges from 444 - 490kwhr. ConEd had already done the actual reading when they installed the new meters in October 2021. The bills from November 2021 were for actual usage. The bill for 2/08/22, charged me for 3221 kwhr. That's a 75% increase in electric usage charge. They are still expecting me to pay for 2021 usage backbill, as per the agreement made in November 2021 - while not clearly explaining the overcharge that was supposedly a spike in market charges - that shows usage way above normal. ConEd has done this to me in the past, where the rep would state that my bill usage was lower than estimated and then they would send a bill with a dollar amount that was higher than the estimated bill and laugh when I inquired about it. NOT FUNNY!

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2022

I officially canceled ConEd service on 11/29/2021 because I moved out of NYC to another state where ConEd doesn't exist. ConEd sent me confirmation that they canceled my service on 11/29/2021. AND I paid the rest of my balance off on 12/21/2021. But today I received a bill from ConEd totaling over $400 for the Billing period: Dec 17, 2021 to Jan 20, 2022! The live chat on their website is inaccessible. They haven't responded to my email. And as I write this, I'm currently on hold with them for more than 30 minutes and haven't spoken to a human. They are unreachable. I'm so glad I never set up autopay because it would be even more of a nightmare trying to get my money back!

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 24, 2021

Long story short, I was late with my November payment, so I had to pay Nov and Dec. together, which was for 241.34. When I call to make the payment for those 2 months, ConEd said, I had to pay 666.33 Due to non payment. There’s a holding fee for 425.00. I said, “I will not pay for that amount”; I will only pay for what I owe and I will call consumer affairs. After a minute the lady kindly said okay, “I will waive the hold if you promise to pay the January payment by the 01/11/2022." When did ConEd start charging so much for late fee?

Reviewed Sept. 4, 2021

Literally their name tells you they're a Con. Forced to pay previous tenants bill almost $2,500. I sent proof of lease, previous address and id. They saw that no one lived in the apartment for the past 6 months but will not open an account until the previous tenant bill is paid. The former tenant stills get her internet/tv bill there, told them her name, they said they can't track her down. It's the landlord responsibility. I asked them why didn't they close the electricity when the squatter was staying here they said they couldn't because of covid. If the Landlord had to pay her to move since you can't evict people because of covid. Maybe they would have moved sooner it ConEd did their job and closed their electricity. The government needs to investigate Coned because their actions should be illegal forcing working people to pay the lowlife bills.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 14, 2021

As a landlord I have three with them on the same building. An error in their internal systems resulted in their inability to communicate full bank account number to the bank on two of the ConEd accounts (they were missing the last digit). The other ones were fine. As a result the bank returned their request for payment saying such account doesn't exist.

They turned around and put a block on automatic payment those two ConEd accounts blaming their own deficient internal processes and automation on me. They are unable to comprehend that they have processed payment using the same bank account on other the ConEd account at the same address and the challenge is with their own internal processes and systems. Their "customer service" is disrespectful and unable to understand that the words they choose in communicating with the client can easily be insulting but they do not care. We need their assets confiscated, their last mile monopoly eliminated, more open market competition in generation and distribution, especially the latter.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed March 23, 2021

What an irony that someone had similar problem.. I moved in the month of Feb to a new apartment, just 2 blocks from my old apartment. Now the funny part is my old apartment was 3 bedroom flex 4 bedroom.. 4 roommates with 1 refrigerator and a tiny microwave.. In NYC in the hot summer, 3 roommates having A/Cs and 1 roommates just fan, my Con Ed bill was half of what I got in this new apartment. I lived for 2yrs and 6months in the old apartment, when I saw the bill for 5weeks in my new apartment the number didnt make sense, 'cause the new apartment we are only two of us and also we are energy saver.. So the entire 2 bedroom electricity is always turned off, and we are barely home...

We believe in saving electricity, water etc.. If it is not needed we shouldn't be wasting it.. When we are home we are in our bedroom 'cause we dont have sofa yet to sit in the living room, we just moved here and all lights except the bedroom is turned off and now we just use our cell phone. No computer, nothing. when I explained this to the ConEd guy, he said "the meter in your old apartment wasnt working..." without even asking my old add.. And I told him, "Oh so the meter wasnt working for 2 yrs and 6 months?? Hhhmm..." And I said, "It doesnt make sense..." And he said, "We can't refund you for that," and I said, "Who said anything about refund???" And he was shut...

Dude this isnt about money honestly... Also he was very rude from the beginning... I told him if someone is going to scam me and you think I should just pull my CC out and pay them, when I work so hard to making a living?? Then he went on telling me that the bill was wrong 'cause I got charged for the previous month as the refrigerator was on... The funny part is that the refrigerator was never on... I turned it on 1 day before I moved here.. I am a customer service manger and I have been one for past 8 yrs now... If you are going to have an attitude and lie to your consumer or customer you make sure you are good at it!! I told him, "After this call listen to your call and ask yourself if everything you said to me made sense. Thank you."

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 25, 2020

I used to live 3 minutes away (in car) from my new house, now when we moved to the new house our electricity usage went from 300 Kwh to 730 Kwh in one month! The new house is almost the same size as the old one, the appliances (fridge and microwave) in the new house are smaller and energy saver (LG). When I called to ask about the change in my supply charge, the lady who answered me said that the average usage of the neighborhood is around this number, also the previous tenants’ electricity usage was around this number!

Above all that, she added that this summer the number is going to duplicate!!!! (according to her that is the average use of energy in the neighborhood!) I explained that the previous tenants’ usage of electricity has nothing to do with ours, we are energy savers, all our appliances are energy efficient (energy star). Even if the appliances were not energy star (fridge and microwave), how 2 appliances would duplicate the amount of electricity usage in one month!!!

My concern is that why they keep comparing our usage to previous tenants of the house or neighborhood?! What they fail to understand that some families use more electricity than others (depends on the family member etc.). I asked them to send somebody to check the meter but they said there is no appointments available for now! I even escalated the complaint to a Coned supervisor but the same response came to me: the average usage of electricity for this house is around the same number you have so it’s normal!!! I noticed something, that in my old house the meter was not a digital but in the new house the meter is the smart one. So, people think twice before updating your meter to a smart one.

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2020

Con Edison made a huge billing mistake. I am on autopay. They will not stop payment but will send me a check EVENTUALLY FOR THE $1400.00 error. OR IF THE PAYMENT can be stopped BY ME they will not reimburse the bank fee that I will be charged for that cancellation. BUT of Course this is my fault because I did not call them about it 2 days sooner even though I just received the bill and it's not my fault the mail is ultra slow these days. Do NOT use autopay to Con ED.

Reviewed Nov. 2, 2020

Not even sure where to start. Perhaps their atrocious, 1998-like website functionality, or their half-dozen different numbers to call, which of course always lead to ridiculous, Byzantine voice menu hell, seldom resulting in being able to speak with a human being. Or maybe it's just what happens when you give a company a monopoly, and they no longer care because they don't have to. The reality is, Con Ed would have been put out of business decades ago by even a slight amount of competition. They don't innovate, they don't provide good service, and they are nearly impossible to get on the phone. Even when you are trying to pay! What business does that? None. They are not a business. They are an idiotic, bureaucratic government-like edifice that should be put to sleep.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2020

CONED is the biggest scam I have ever seen. Because of Covid 19 they have been charging me for the apartment I haven't even been at and have had zero electricity or gas usage in, 2019 rates for those months because they "weren't doing in person readings." They told us "but don't worry, if you send a real reading of your meter then we will retroactively update you account and credit you back". Long story short, I had my Super take a picture, I sent to them back in July and after months of HOUNDING them to credit me back since March 2020 they came back with a $40 credit. I HAVE PAID OVER $350 DOLLARS.

Due to Covid 19 we are sick, unemployed, low on money, and this is how ConEd treats us. It's repulsive. They have a monopoly on NYC so you usually have no choice to go with them. The government needs to get this disgusting company out of here and shut down for good. I am telling you - if you have the option - go with ANYONE else.

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2020

We have solar panels on our roof that generate electricity back into our grid when we are producing more energy than we are consuming. The department that handles this within our service provider of ConEdison is called Net Metering. I have made several calls to this department and have been told each time that in order to see this credit (the kWh hours my system is creating) I need to go outside and watch the meter run backwards. This would mean I have to be outside during the entire day (every day of that billing period) to account for this credit as these hours are never identified on our monthly bill. Extremely questionable and very nontransparent on the part of Con Edison. Does anyone else see an issue with this process?

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 17, 2020

I smelled something strange, like gas leak, but not sure, so I called ConEdison for emergent gas check up. A guy came very quickly. After testing, he told me it was not gas problem, maybe AC system was leaking. Anyway it has nothing to do with gas. However, he called for help from his company. A big truck and a big digging machine arrived minutes later, and also came more guys. Two fire engines were also called in. They dig on one of the gas well near my house and did something, then they covered it.

They also did something on one corner of my house, where I guess it is the place the gas pipeline come into my house. I am very suspicious of what they did. If nothing wrong, why did they dig their gas well and the corner of my house. One guy, looked like a boss, told me I should call AC guy to check. But several hours after they left, the strange smell was gone. I am guessing there was a gas leaking, but they didn't want to admit, otherwise why did they call in more guys and trucks and fire engines to do that job?

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2020

A big tree limb hit the electric service wire that runs across the street and causes a big lean in pole no. My service wire got detached from house from the tension BUT unless you lose power they won't fix anything. Any tickets called in and now calls to the PSC.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPrice

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2020

Con Edison installed smart meters (gas and electric) in our development, Mystic Pointe located in Ossining NY, in late 2017/early 2018. Since then, we have seen double digit, year over year increases in select months, in the costs of gas supply ($ per therm supplied or used), gas delivery ($ per therm delivered) and electric delivery ($ per kw delivered). We use another ESCO for electric supply FYI, so that is not a Con Ed issue. It is impossible to determine if these Con Ed price increases correspond, or not, to the approved state of NY price increases that have been negotiated by Con Ed and approved by state lawmakers. The "meeting notes/reports" from Albany are sometimes 110-120+ pages, and are in technical speak, not regular English.

We learned this month that, after a $3400 gas bill (supply and delivery) for the 4/15-5/15/20 time period, that the smart gas meter had malfunctioned. Con Ed's own tech examined the meter, then told us that there was a broken part in the meter, and "the meter was spinning too quickly." Additionally, we are not the only household experiencing this issue. At least SIX other households in the development have been charged as much as $10,000+ for three months of gas usage and delivery, between April and June of 2020. We also have no idea when our home's meter broke, calling into question all bills from Con Ed since January 2018.

We think that Con Ed bought and installed faulty smart gas meters, and that they have no idea how long that they have been malfunctioning. Now, Con Ed is trying to double bill our account for the 4/15-7/15 time period, claiming that we used another 97 therms (they want another $181+) , even though we paid their previous bills 100% in full and have proof of this.

Further, natural gas costs are so low, shale oil producers are burning off natural gas finds/creating methane in the air, because they cannot make any money putting the gas in containers or pipelines and transporting it for sale. This being the case, how have our gas supply costs not decreased proportionately? Additionally, why is the delivery portion of the average monthly con ed bill 75% or more of our monthly bill? We are being billed $3 for every $1 of unit of energy used (therm or kilowatt), through the same pipes and wires that have been in place since the house was built in 1996. We also have no overhead wires or poles, so this is not due to storms and repair issues for our development or home.

Someone needs to call Con Ed on the carpet for this. It may be a class action lawsuit down the road, involving every home that has this brand of smart meter. We have no idea if it affects the electric smart meters as well. This may affect dozens or hundreds or thousands of Con Ed customers throughout New York State and in other US states.

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2020

One of the worst companies and customer service I've ever come into contact with (and getting into contact in itself was a TIRESOME, almost impossible effort). The fact that this company provides my essentials and that I have no way around them is utter torment.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2020

This company is a total failure. Let’s start with the fact that they are a monopoly that should be broken up. They charge exorbitant amounts for service and I have never seen a single improvement to their systems. Their preparations and response times during storms are absolutely disgraceful. They have not learned a thing since superstorm Sandy and this recent debacle of Isaias is 100% proof that they were grossly underprepared. I am tired of paying top dollar for a company that simply couldn’t care less for its customers. Our elected officials should do something about this insanely negligent company and break up the monopoly once and for all.

Staff

Reviewed July 6, 2020

They have on their web site that they have a low rate program for the disabled. I am disabled. I got a) WRONG information, and b) the RUNAROUND for six months, then finally some bureaucrat shrugged me off and said they do NOT provide a low rate program for the disabled unless I'm either already on assistance like SNAP or such. If I stopped paying my utility bill I could take my DISCONNECT NOTICE to a city agency (none of which are open due to coronavirus) and once I got benefits from them (how long does that take, six months? A year???) THEN and only then would they provide assistance. Here's an idea: STOP LYING.

Reviewed June 23, 2020

Placed on long hold only to be hung up on. Called back and my simple concerns couldn't be answered. Workers are incompetent and rude, will be switching to National Grid immediately. Wouldn't mind if this was the first time, regardless shouldn't have to deal with this type of appalling customer service.

Reviewed June 7, 2020

My bill is never over $50. I get an email from Con Ed saying my upcoming bill is $800. I call them and they correct it (to $43). 3 months later $500 was taken out of my bank acct. I called them ANGRY. They said I need to go down to my super, have them give me a reading and call con ed back. I told them absolutely NOT, con ed should have read it correctly when they came. They checked their record again and saw that the bill should have been $46. They said in 2 weeks they will send me a refund. I said that's unacceptable and I want my money in my account now. They refused. So, I called my bank and reversed the charge. DON'T DO AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS IF YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THEM.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 19, 2020

I would give this company no stars if I could! I signed up with Con Edison when I moved over to the States and I've been regretting it ever since. They have no sense of customer care and everyone who works for them are incompetent. From the month of November - February I was paying bills for over $500 for a 3 bedroom apartment! We rarely occupied the apartment and never used our electric heating (which was the reason for our extortionate bills, apparently). Naturally, Con Edison were useless. Their customer support team don't offer any guidance or solution to your problems instead you have no choice but to pay the outrageous bills, otherwise your electricity will be turned off and they'll issue you with late fees. Moral of the story is - DON'T SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY - THEY WILL ROB YOU.

Staff

Reviewed April 17, 2020

Every single person I came in contact with at Con Edison are incompetent. You should all be on the unemployment line and save us the grief of your incompetency, lies and BS! Spoke to many different representatives and Supervisors and not ONE person knew what the hell they were doing. Public Service Commission agreed with my opinion. But they were a waste of my time. Both should get their acts together. It's no wonder so many have left or are leaving New York. Con Edison robs you and the Public Service Commission who oversees them, does absolutely about it.

I was found on a share meter. I was told it was a significant amount by numerous Con Ed employers, including Supervisors and their field inspectors. Two flipping years later, I'm now told I only overpaid $134.00 on my shared meter, YET, I have statements 3 inches thick that have numerous credits AND a printout I recently received by my request of my credits and charges which shows they owe me $247.00, BUT a recent statement shows I have a balance of $1,344.00, and that I'm disputing the amount of $2,500.00. What the hell? Where are these numbers coming from??? I'm disputing $2500,00? I OWE THEM $1,344.55? THEY CAN SHUT MY ELECTRIC OFF BECAUSE THEY WON'T GET A DIME OF THAT FROM ME!!! They are incompetent, lying thieves!!!

I never would have went through this for $134.00, never!!!! I have statements from them showing I have a credit of $1,988.00, and now I owe them $1,344.00 and disputing $2,500.00? They are out of their minds. I rent an apartment, no lights on all day, nothing being used and I receive close to $500.00 bills and/or high $400's/high $300's? I have been paying electric my entire life and NEVER HAD THESE BILLS. WHEN I SAY SOMETHING'S WRONG, SOMETHING IS WRONG!

When this Pandemic is over, I will be taking them to Court and contacting others regarding my situation. Most of their employees should be fired, as they are all incompetent! Thanks for nothing Public Service Commission who stated over and over again, they would help me, but did NOTHING so don't waste your time with them.

Reviewed March 27, 2020

ConEd is upgrading their meters to digital. Mine was done in October 2019. It is now the end of March 2020 and I have not received a bill for service since August 2019. They tell me that they haven't activated the new meter. Of course, I will eventually get a bill for 7-8+ months of service. I have contacted them 4 times in the last 4 months but then just tell me that I have to wait. Shouldn't I get free service if they don't want to bill me? I worry that when I get billed it will be impossible to pay because it has piled up for so long.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2020

My bill up to November 2018 was 40 to 50$ a month. From December on bill went up to 120$ a month. Called ConEd several times. They always say it's because the new meters were installed. But my usage is same or even smaller from what I had with old meters.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2020

I hate Con Ed. Despite being a paying customer for 30+ years I still get demands from them for deposits and threats of turn-off even after I've paid in full. I already have a deposit of $175 with them for a couple of years now, but for months they have been demanding an additional $145 deposit due to a bill being paid late. There is NO other company I can think of that continues to harass and threaten its customers even after they are up-to-date with their bill! In addition, their bills are incredibly confusing, with the amount owed often appearing as an exorbitant amount because of the tacked-on deposit. I always feel like I'm paying off a gambling debt to the mafia. Wish there was another company to choose instead of them but unfortunately they have a monopoly hold on NYC. I hate Con Ed.

Price

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2020

I was awarded a one shot deal in 2013. I kept my light bill at a zero balance. 3 years later I close out that account and moved in with my girlfriend in 2016. We broke up in 2019. I then moved to Staten island NY and was told I owe for the one shot deal which was issue for me in 2013. They claimed that they sent this grant money to HRA for what I don't know three years later so that means that HRA got 500 dollars and ConEdison made interest plus they want me to pay for the grants. I'll fight them to the end.

ConEdison Company Information