1.29/5

New York

369 ConEdison Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I went to open an account for my home and I couldn't because I was told that my house cannot have any service because "the previous client who was there by the name of Rolade ** did not pay the outstanding bill therefore you will be responsible for the outstanding bill." Are we in USA or what? That is not my concerns if you did not do your vetting on your previous client. Is this pathetic or what?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Total electricity charges $51.00. Amount due is $85. Why the $34 difference?? Well it's because of the "level payment plan" they signed us up for when we chose not to participate in such a plan. They are sneaky and awful. Each time we speak to a representative, we get a different explanation! WHAT COMPANY AUTOMATICALLY SIGNS PEOPLE UP FOR THINGS WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION!!???! This one.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

ConEd called to schedule a new meter installation to make their job easier. Everything worked fine before the installation and after they left, no heat. Now the house is freezing until I get a company to fix it and I get stuck with the added expense! I bet the bill will be just as high also because this company is crooked! I so regret letting them in to touch anything! Worst ever!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

INCIDENT 1: About 18 months ago (more or less) Con Ed left a Service Alert Note attached to the Coop glass lobby door after a prior tenant had moved out. Being a loyal customer, I called Con Ed and told them I would let them into the building. However, they treated it as a Gas Leak Emergency, and the City of Yonkers sent a full Fire response including their rescue unit. I was mortified, because I never reported any gas leak. The fire department verified there was no gas leak and returned to station house. As I was leaving, two arrogant Con Ed workers arrived and I told them the FD had just left, and there never was any gas leak reported, and they lied by saying they're detecting a gas leak so they called the FD back, who called the PD, as they were on the phone with management threatening to break that door down, someone unlocked that door for access.

Incident 2: On September 2, 2018, I reported an odor of sulfur drifting into my window from the courtyard and Con Ed treated it as a gas leak inside of my apartment. Fire Department showed up, and I relayed just the same and they checked the courtyard and verified there was no gas leak, because apparently someone had been throwing sulfur stink bombs under my window that I presumed was sewer gas.

Fire Dept. left, and one Con Ed Worker shows up causing a major disturbance in the building by repeatedly pounding on lobby door. After getting in the building worker continued pounding on my door so hard that I was afraid to answer because he was pounding like a lunatic. I told him to leave and did, only to return with the Fire Dept this time with giant axes in hand. Con Ed (Worker) Excuse was "I thought you were unconscious". Worker alerted management, then FD requested then cancelled PD after I answered a second time for the FD as the super arrived. FD asked me to allow Con Ed Worker to check my stove which I allowed with no incident.

Weeks later I was served papers by City Marshal that my landlord elected to terminate my month-to-month lease and after 15-1/2 years of living in the building known as "Lincoln Park Manor" I needed to vacate on or before Oct. 31, 2018. The Property Manager and my former Landlord used the Con Ed incident against me, as if I disturbed and endangered everyone in the building when I was setup. Con Ed statement was "You refused to evacuate" when no one told me to. I have the entire incident time stamped and recorded, because little did Con Ed and the FD know that little fisheye lens in my door viewer was a CCTV security camera that recorded everything other than audio onto disk. Needless to say, I'm now homeless. I should sue everyone or post videos on social media with further details as a reminder, to think twice before reporting a gas leak because ConEd workers are not to be trusted nor was my prior management.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We have had an issue with recurrent gas leaks from the line in our front yard. This initially started in Spring of 2017. At that time, ConEdison changed the sleeve and dug up the street in front of our house. The leak continued, and the workers didn't return until November, when they replaced the curve valve. They had to return two additional times to finish the job correctly (the first time, the valve was protruding from the ground so much that our postman tripped over it).

Yesterday, we noticed a gas smell in our yard. We called ConEdison and a worker came up again and told us we have a type 3 leak from that same line, with 25% leakage. We are very upset about how ConEdison has handled this situation. We pride ourselves in being responsible homeowners -- we take care of our home, our neighborhood, and are always up to date on paying our bills. We have been patient with ConEdison throughout this experience, despite having our lawn ripped apart multiple times, and having to leave work mid-day on several occasions to meet the ConEdison workers, who would often come to our house unannounced. This has been incredibly disruptive to my job and has had a financial impact.

The most upsetting aspect of this is that we don't feel safe in our own home. I specifically asked the worker who came last night if there is any risk to us with the continued leak, and he said "very likely no" but that "he couldn't guarantee anything". When I asked when they would be able to return to repair the leak, he indicated it would likely take another month. I am starting to doubt the seriousness of the company. He told us that they are more likely to come because they get bonus at the end of the year once all the leaks are closed.

I know from my past experience that if the ground freezes, there is a greater chance that the gas can back up the line into our house. Heading into winter in this area, the ground will definitely freeze several times over the next few weeks. Are we supposed to just wait until we have gas in our house to actually have this fixed? Why has this one problem now taken 6 separate visits from ConEdison to address it, with no real fix in sight? This is an outrageous situation to me, and for the safety of my home and family, I ask that this be fixed immediately.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I was away for 3 1/2 weeks in October and before leaving I turned off all the Circuit Breakers in the Apt. (1 Bedroom) Shortly after I returned home I received a bill for 200 KWH. How is that possible? Did the invisible man come up and watch TV??? If anyone knows of a Class Action Please let me know.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I used ConEdison billing for years never had issues. This new system I tried to log in it made me register again which I did. I have 2 locations for which I pay so when I log in after logging in it asks me my account #. Shouldn't the system know my account number since I logged in. Ok I went to pay my bill. It asks me account #. I entered it then it asks me to enter a security code which I did after receiving it through email. Ok so now I am logged in officially. So I go back to make a payment and again it asks me account # so I enter it and then it says it wants me to enter a security code again so I get a new one.

I had the same problem last month. The IT team is a joke!!! I just went back to paper billing to keep my sanity. My account # ** so ConEdison IT team can actually verify how I went in circles. I am sure they can verify it from the system. I hope they correct this. In the meantime I back to the past system paper billing and paying through my Chase online billing. Good Luck ConEdison with your IT team!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The new website they have treats customers like we are corporate execs looking for dashboards. I just want to see my bill. I just want to be able to log in without having to complete eight new verification steps. No, I don’t want to change my account name. I don’t need to compare my usage to a national average, or what it was last year. Oh, and in case you haven’t noticed it helps if things are mobile friendly, as has been the case for about the past decade.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have been pretty constant with an average ConEdision bill of $150. I like my bills to be $0 when I pay them. I recently submitted a payment for a bill for the month of August. September 20th literally 3 days after I paid my bill. I receive a notice for a bill of $600 ConEdison says that my bills were estimated from April to August and there was an increase in consumption "especially during summer months". I submitted a picture of the meter reading. None of my bills from April indicated that I have been paying estimated bills. I have paid my bill in full and I am a low income payer. This so called estimated adjustment is not just. If it was really an average of the last 12 months of payment, then my bill should approximately be around $150 not $601. The delivery charges were $313 and the supply charges were $198.

Can someone help me with the math here... How can an average of 12 months equal to an increase of over 400%? I feel they have made a grave mistake and the only communication I have receive is "Maam, how much can you put down on a deposit, there is nothing we can do. Your meter reading is correct." I live in an older house in NY and the meters are the same one from the early 80s. which makes these meter more than 40 years old. I have young children in my home and this mistake is not something I am willing to be paying when I know I don't owe this.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My bills were inflated from first day I moved here and this was continuously stated. After four years of fearing to not pay the excessive charges (as my service was being threatened) I got new meters installed (3 tenants), and my bills were right finally. However ConEd wants me to pay for past bill which was not while I was even living here and for a few "actual" (inflated) bills all prior to meter correction. They owe me over 2,000 for 4 years of overpaying but threatening to shut me down rather than adjust bill claiming I need pay the incorrect charges. Huh? I am senior and only robots would act this way, so do they have humans there or what?

ConEdison Company Information