New York

1.3/5 (298 ratings)

About ConEdison

ConEdison Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

One of the worst companies and customer service I've ever come into contact with (and getting into contact in itself was a TIRESOME, almost impossible effort). The fact that this company provides my essentials and that I have no way around them is utter torment.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

This company is a total failure. Let’s start with the fact that they are a monopoly that should be broken up. They charge exorbitant amounts for service and I have never seen a single improvement to their systems. Their preparations and response times during storms are absolutely disgraceful. They have not learned a thing since superstorm Sandy and this recent debacle of Isaias is 100% proof that they were grossly underprepared. I am tired of paying top dollar for a company that simply couldn’t care less for its customers. Our elected officials should do something about this insanely negligent company and break up the monopoly once and for all.

Original review: July 6, 2020

They have on their web site that they have a low rate program for the disabled. I am disabled. I got a) WRONG information, and b) the RUNAROUND for six months, then finally some bureaucrat shrugged me off and said they do NOT provide a low rate program for the disabled unless I'm either already on assistance like SNAP or such. If I stopped paying my utility bill I could take my DISCONNECT NOTICE to a city agency (none of which are open due to coronavirus) and once I got benefits from them (how long does that take, six months? A year???) THEN and only then would they provide assistance. Here's an idea: STOP LYING.

Original review: June 23, 2020

Placed on long hold only to be hung up on. Called back and my simple concerns couldn't be answered. Workers are incompetent and rude, will be switching to National Grid immediately. Wouldn't mind if this was the first time, regardless shouldn't have to deal with this type of appalling customer service.

Original review: June 7, 2020

My bill is never over $50. I get an email from Con Ed saying my upcoming bill is $800. I call them and they correct it (to $43). 3 months later $500 was taken out of my bank acct. I called them ANGRY. They said I need to go down to my super, have them give me a reading and call con ed back. I told them absolutely NOT, con ed should have read it correctly when they came. They checked their record again and saw that the bill should have been $46. They said in 2 weeks they will send me a refund. I said that's unacceptable and I want my money in my account now. They refused. So, I called my bank and reversed the charge. DON'T DO AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS IF YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THEM.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I would give this company no stars if I could! I signed up with Con Edison when I moved over to the States and I've been regretting it ever since. They have no sense of customer care and everyone who works for them are incompetent. From the month of November - February I was paying bills for over $500 for a 3 bedroom apartment! We rarely occupied the apartment and never used our electric heating (which was the reason for our extortionate bills, apparently). Naturally, Con Edison were useless. Their customer support team don't offer any guidance or solution to your problems instead you have no choice but to pay the outrageous bills, otherwise your electricity will be turned off and they'll issue you with late fees. Moral of the story is - DON'T SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY - THEY WILL ROB YOU.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Every single person I came in contact with at Con Edison are incompetent. You should all be on the unemployment line and save us the grief of your incompetency, lies and BS! Spoke to many different representatives and Supervisors and not ONE person knew what the hell they were doing. Public Service Commission agreed with my opinion. But they were a waste of my time. Both should get their acts together. It's no wonder so many have left or are leaving New York. Con Edison robs you and the Public Service Commission who oversees them, does absolutely about it.

I was found on a share meter. I was told it was a significant amount by numerous Con Ed employers, including Supervisors and their field inspectors. Two flipping years later, I'm now told I only overpaid $134.00 on my shared meter, YET, I have statements 3 inches thick that have numerous credits AND a printout I recently received by my request of my credits and charges which shows they owe me $247.00, BUT a recent statement shows I have a balance of $1,344.00, and that I'm disputing the amount of $2,500.00. What the hell? Where are these numbers coming from??? I'm disputing $2500,00? I OWE THEM $1,344.55? THEY CAN SHUT MY ELECTRIC OFF BECAUSE THEY WON'T GET A DIME OF THAT FROM ME!!! They are incompetent, lying thieves!!!

I never would have went through this for $134.00, never!!!! I have statements from them showing I have a credit of $1,988.00, and now I owe them $1,344.00 and disputing $2,500.00? They are out of their minds. I rent an apartment, no lights on all day, nothing being used and I receive close to $500.00 bills and/or high $400's/high $300's? I have been paying electric my entire life and NEVER HAD THESE BILLS. WHEN I SAY SOMETHING'S WRONG, SOMETHING IS WRONG!

When this Pandemic is over, I will be taking them to Court and contacting others regarding my situation. Most of their employees should be fired, as they are all incompetent! Thanks for nothing Public Service Commission who stated over and over again, they would help me, but did NOTHING so don't waste your time with them.

Original review: March 27, 2020

ConEd is upgrading their meters to digital. Mine was done in October 2019. It is now the end of March 2020 and I have not received a bill for service since August 2019. They tell me that they haven't activated the new meter. Of course, I will eventually get a bill for 7-8+ months of service. I have contacted them 4 times in the last 4 months but then just tell me that I have to wait. Shouldn't I get free service if they don't want to bill me? I worry that when I get billed it will be impossible to pay because it has piled up for so long.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

My bill up to November 2018 was 40 to 50$ a month. From December on bill went up to 120$ a month. Called ConEd several times. They always say it's because the new meters were installed. But my usage is same or even smaller from what I had with old meters.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I hate Con Ed. Despite being a paying customer for 30+ years I still get demands from them for deposits and threats of turn-off even after I've paid in full. I already have a deposit of $175 with them for a couple of years now, but for months they have been demanding an additional $145 deposit due to a bill being paid late. There is NO other company I can think of that continues to harass and threaten its customers even after they are up-to-date with their bill! In addition, their bills are incredibly confusing, with the amount owed often appearing as an exorbitant amount because of the tacked-on deposit. I always feel like I'm paying off a gambling debt to the mafia. Wish there was another company to choose instead of them but unfortunately they have a monopoly hold on NYC. I hate Con Ed.

ConEdison Company Information