New York

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.28/5

ConEdison Reviews

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

ConEdison should stop stealing people money. I was in vacation for 3 months. They charge me for electricity. I was not in my apartment. Customer service the worst ever. It’s time for this company to go away. We sick tired from them.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

On October 19, 2019 I got a WELCOME letter (plus nice blue brochures) that I'm included into ConEdison_Smart Edison Plan. Very smart judging by the three categories rates ConEdison have. Of course, not for the customers, but excellent for increasing the salaries and bonuses. I talk to them, saying I never sign any of their letters. She said I "was chosen" to participate. She also said that my name will be removed, as I was furious. Who is the person who decided I would like to participate (to donate officially to their CEOs) every month. It's time to audit this company for their ridiculous rates and their behavior to customers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

ConEd made all of us switch to smart meters in our building. Since that happened our bills have increased tenfold even though they claimed the bills were supposed to go down. AND even though we have used LESS electricity, def not more. I have also been suffering health effects such as headaches and heart palpitations. My lights ALSO flicker since I had them installed which they never did with an analog meter. I want these things gone AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. There is NO positive benefit to them! Don't force or make us do anything for your benefits, and to spy on us. All the operators on the phone do is read from a script and tell you how they are better for you, and less radiation than a smart phone. My hiney! That radiation pulses through your whole body all day long.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

ConEdison maliciously refrained from billing me more based on my "estimated bills" until the summer was just about over, and charged me more for over 14 months worth of bills. When I called to ask why, they not only could not prove which meter readings were accepted or denied, they also refused to answer why they didn't start charging me for my "exact bill" for over 14 months. They admitted there were multiple "accepted" readings over the course of my time at this residence yet still refrained from notifying me or charging me for an absurd amount of time. ConEd uses their monopoly to take advantage of customers with little to no recourse on how to solve issues like mine. They completely disregarded their responsibility to be transparent to customers. They should not be allowed to be aware of customers' actual bills but not notify them, especially for long periods of time.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

An individual showed up on my doorstep claiming to be a ConEdison employee. He banged on my door as if it were a burn door. The rude demeanor did not end there. Apart from a device in his hand, which conceivably could be a meter reading/recording device, there was nothing to indicate that he was indeed from ConEdison – no picture ID, no logo, nothing… Ultimately he did not enter my house. Three days later, I received a bill that included the $25.00 “Adjustment”. Rather consistent with a “send an ignoramus to a private house and then charge the customer some more, just because we can” business model. Not the first unpleasant experience with this monopoly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Last year I paid every month estimated and exact bills but end of the year they charge me extra $389. Whenever I asked them why they charge me extra, they said it was not exact bills. They also tell me if I use smart meter it not gonna happen, every month I shall pay exact bills but this month again they charge me extra $120. I asked them, they said those was not exact bills with smart meter. How is possible? I am using smart meter.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I need people who are tired of ConEdison overcharging them. Send me a complaint, name and phone number,and include you want to start / join a class-action against ConEdison to **. I will give this to lawyers who are interested. ConEdison overcharges sick and low income people especially in the summer time. I have joined their medical program which is useless, complained to NY Public Commission who does not help but continue to let ConEdison overcharge its customers. From 2012-2014 I suffered long term carbon monoxide exposure which gave me asthma. My daughter had to have heart surgery. I was awarded $350 and my son nothing.

Original review: June 25, 2019

ConEdison is unlawfully using its power as a veritable monopoly to intimidate me into paying extortionary deposit demands. I have been the owner of a townhouse serviced by ConEdison since 2003. Because I have always had and continue to have excellent credit rating, in 2003, I was not required to pay a deposit on either of my personal account or the account for the common areas of the building (PLP).

Sixteen years later, after I had a verbal altercation with one of its customer service representatives, Ms. ** (phonetic) about three months ago in 2019, I received a turn off notice indicating that my two accounts were in serious arrears. Upon viewing the bills, however, there were no arrears. Instead, ConEdison had imposed an unwarranted and unexplained security deposit require on the PLP account of $345 and on my personal account of $145. I have continued to make timely payments of both accounts but do not have the financial means to pay the deposit ConEdison seeks to extract.

After reading the public service law, I learned that ConEdison may only terminate service for significant arrears in payment of my actual usage charges, not for non-payment of a deposit amount. Notwithstanding, ConEdison continues to send me monthly, and sometimes, weekly, notices threatening to terminate my electrical and gas service accounts. More alarming, ConEdison sends my tenants notices falsely claiming I am in arrears on my bills and that they should, therefore, withhold their rent and instead, pay the supposed usage arrears on my account. Again, there are no arrears on my usage payments. I simply refuse to pay the unlawful deposits. I'm looking into filing a formal complaint with the Public Service Commission.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had trouble signing into my account. They kept asking a security question I never entered... so I called them to reset the sec. quest. They told me I need to register a new account but when I tried that they tell me I already have a account, FRUSTRATING.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Besides the long wait times and sometimes even deliberate service reps hanging up after a 2 hour wait...the automation system has much room for improvement. For a company with such high cost rates (to the customer anyway), their public relations team should be tossed into serious training and maybe even monitored for their unprofessional speaking tones and word phrase. The mentality that they are doing you a favor does not work in a customer service model.

Another factor is that the company feels that there is no need to provide quality service especially in areas that they have been able to dominate the market and take advantage of the fact that there are no other power or gas options. Therefore ConEdison will implement higher priced markups to the services needed. That's why ConEd is disliked and customers are disgusted with them as a power provider. Hence... ConEd sucks!

ConEdison Company Information