2.7/5 (821 ratings)

About Ambit Energy

Ambit Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: May 26, 2022

If you have any other options please do not choose this company. I have not been using them for over four months now and just received a Major Derogatory on my credit for a payment that they did not display or notify me about. I contacted the credit bureau and they said it was for a cancellation fee that I paid in my final payment to them back in January 2022.

In my Ambit portal as of 5/26/2022, the "Total Amount Due" says "$0.00". (I also have photos that I submitted in my rebuttal) I am confused about how I am supposed to pay a $30.71 payment that I did not know about... I went to hit pay bill to see if I needed to drill through and maybe it would show up in there but again, NOTHING. So now I am dealing with the credit bureau due to the incompetency of this company and their inability to be transparent with their customers. You cannot pay a bill that does not show up as owed on your account. Fix this for future customers, please.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Do not give them your business!! They’re scammers. I tried to set up my account with them a year and a half ago, they got a ton of info wrong, and overcharged me for time I did NOT live in the apartment. I called to cancel my service today after trying before and being disconnected. Every time I call, they say a different name is attached to my account.

Today they told me the name on my account was “Bill”. After all my troubles, they still want to charge me for an extra week after I moved out of my apartment, and after speaking to a supervisor, charged a $5 over the phone payment that he said could not be voided even after I explained how many errors they’ve made and how upset I was. Horrible company. MLM. Do not sign up with them! They will choose extra pennies over loyal customers and overall customer satisfaction. Rude, distasteful, and arrogant attitudes from the representatives. Wish I knew better before I was scammed in to this company. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

The Ambit site has had some major glitches in the last couple of months. When I went to pay my bill by using my saved bank account, the page froze as if the payment didn't go through successfully. I went through the payment process again this time typing in my card. It charged me twice so I called the next day when it appeared in account activity. They said they could only send me a check in 7-14 days or I could just let it roll over. As I had a full month before my next payment, I declined this offer to let it roll over. I know that refund to my card was 100% an option for any major business and sending a check or "pre-paid card" isn't ethical business practices.

I talked to a supervisor who finally said I would have a refund in 24 hours. It never came. I called today and apparently the supervisor decided to INSTEAD go ahead and apply the amount to my account which I had specifically declined. Every call has an automated message saying that the call will be recorded for "customer satisfaction"... They refused to go back and listen and just kept saying nothing was possible at this point because the amount had been applied to my account already. I have gone ahead and reported this incident to the Attorney General. I have to switch energy suppliers in a month and that will be a hassle well worth it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Signed up for auto pay, never worked before so it’s my fault for not learning my lesson about how incompetent this entire company is. I came home from work at 4 power turned off while clothes were in wash, no email, no letter in the mail. I call them and pay my bill by 6 pm, they said power would be back in 2 to 4 hours. It’s now 3 am, I’m freezing and my clothes for work tomorrow are locked in the washer. I looked around and this is all not normal behavior for a power company and I feel like an idiot for even being with them, oops. Stay away from these guys at all costs. Customer service is about as bad as you’d expect, no one I’ve talked to from Ambit knows anything but their script. They are also all foreign and kind of hard to understand. The whole situation is terrible and I already contacted a new power provider, I am new to this and young but I am glad I went through it now I guess.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I am a Ambit energy user and had the worst customer experience with getting my electricity turned off. Please do not use them because they overcharge and they will not cut off the electricity after your contract ends.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

We were talked into Ambit by a friend. We were guaranteed a 3% savings, however, a year into it we were paying more than our local electric supplier. When we called, they said we would need to stay with Ambit until the end of our term and they would then send a check for the difference. We reluctantly stayed. We received a letter telling us to call them ten days before our term ended to pick a plan. We called to tell them we weren't going to renew and she said they would send a check. After not receiving a check in eight months, we called and they are now saying it was canceled four days before our term ended. They played with the dates so we wouldn't be entitled to the check. When we told them we didn't want to renew our plan, we thought it would ride out to the end. However, they played with the dates so they didn't have to honor their contract.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

There are hidden fees included and the customer service can't provide you with any legal document for the extra charge, I'd scheduled 8/30/2021 to stop my service forever. Copied this from my bill> Current miscellaneous adjustments: $ 62.47. Please don't let this company scams you too.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

If I could give 0 stars, I would. Horrendous customer service. I've been trying to be patient but I've been trying to correct an issue since July 1, and it is August 18. They continuously give you the run-around which diminishes patience after 2 months. I was supposed to move into an apartment but my complex moved me to a different unit. So that same day, I called and asked if I could move my service to the new unit. They happily said yes and that no additional fees would apply. But then, I received voicemails from them saying I owed fees. One of their managers contacted me and said to disregard those notices because I should not be charged that and an "investigation" would be opened.

Later, they called saying someone else moved in that apt so that's why the investigation closed, pay the fees. I do not have control over who moves into that other unit! Then another representative tried telling me the fees were because I left Ambit. I still have them in my new unit, they can check their records. They even had me email some customer service place that never responded back. They kept saying we'll open a new investigation but nothing comes of them. I finally gave in and paid the fees today, for an apartment I never lived at, because I will not let them ruin my credit but it was extortion. I just wanted to warn future customers to find a better company!! I wish I had.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have been with Ambit for years on and off when they are available in my area. At the end of my last contract I didn’t renew because I was looking to move and didn’t know what area. My house is only 1,200 sqft and I do not keep it down in the 60’s. My bills have been outrageous, far more than I have ever paid in my life. I’m using 1000-1200 kWh and my last 2 bills have been over $200 a month. I enrolled with another provider and Ambit called me asking what they could do to keep me! I laughed and said nothing and explained the reason, the rep said if I ever changed my mind give them a call! Well, I’ll tell you NOT a chance in HELL. My last bill was almost $300! Are you out of your fricken mind! Stay clear of this company!

Original review: July 30, 2021

Updated on 03/22/2022: First off Ambit energy misled me about how much i would be paying. Then when I called and cancelled they said it was effective within 1-2 billing cycles. 2 cycles went by....still not cancelled. I called them and cancelled again.. 2 months later I get a bill for double the price /kw hr. of previous bill still with Ambit. I have concluded that this is most likely a type of scheme they have To string customers along because there is apparently nothing I can do about it except get a lawyer involved. Being a business owner myself, it burns me up when I see a company operating in a dishonest way.

Original: I decided to save some $ so I saw that Ambit had a plan to get commercial electric supply rate at .0295 kw. So when I called to sign up they told me that the rate I saw on the NYSEG website was only for the first month... OK... so that price was falsely advertised. But I still signed up. I have documentation on this. First bill came in the mail .065/kw. I called and they said I have to call the electric company. Called the electric company and they said I have to call Ambit. I feel this was just a ploy to get me to switch. No accountability, no one gives a crap at Ambit or Nyseg, they just pawn you off to another phone operator.

Ambit Energy author review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team