3.93/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Ambit Energy

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

444 Ambit Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Ambit Energy helped me save a lot on my electric bill!! Best part is, as a customer, I also receive a monthly rebate check at an average of $70 per month just for referring others to this great service! The consultant who signed me up was very friendly and very helpful. The customer support staff is always super responsive and helpful. I've never felt like I'm just a number when I contact anyone at Ambit!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

It's simple, I signed up for Ambit Energy, electric, as my condo is 100% electric, nothing changed except my electric bill dropped. Good enough!! I'm on my own personal budget plan and this works well as I'm able to pay more than the bill indicates to save even more through the coming Chicago winter.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I switched after years of putting up with National Grid's rate increases in RI. Great company, lower rates, no penalty to switch and I can get out and go to a lower rate in the spring without paying a penalty. Great customer service too! Why would anyone stay with National Grid and pay more? The RI Lt. Governor told the media a few weeks ago the only way to save money on your electric bill in RI is to switch out of National Grid and choose another energy provider. Ambit has no fees or penalties if I leave early too. This was simple. So glad I switched!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Ambit energy helped me save a lot on my bill. Also I received a promised hotel stay for signing up. Also the consultant who signed me up was very friendly and very helpful. And she helped me understand what I was signing up for.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Ambit is a great company. I am shocked to read all these false reviews of people who are upset because they didn't get it their way. Ambit will not raise your rate without notifying you. When it's time to renew they mail you 2 letter email you and call you! Now it's up to you to be responsible and handle that! If you get placed on the 17kwh rate it's not because you "pay late". It's because you get disconnected all the time!!! And clearly most companies do not want those customers who don't pay because they run a higher risk of leaving unpaid balances. Also any company is going to charge you for a reconnection and disconnection.

You are also advised again through mail and calls of when you are due to avoid the disconnection. The letter will also provide you with the fees and will provide you with the plan that you will be switched to if you don't pay! Again, it's your responsibility to read what you get in the mail! I pay my bills on time and when I can't Ambit always works with my payment date. People just need to grow up and be responsible adults and stop blaming others for their poor actions!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been an Ambit customer for about 6 months now. Their rate has been lower than NIPSCO. I am happy to save a few dollars on my utility bill since I have two kids. I can only use them for natural gas and not for electricity yet. Hopefully soon the state of Indiana will let us switch our electric also! NIPSCO has high electric rates and we would love to switch our electric to Ambit also. Also, please go to Michigan, Ambit!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have been a customer of Ambit Energy for over a year. I do receive free energy for my 15 referrals. The rates are great. Some months the are equal to our local provider but overall I have saved an average of 12%. Getting free energy makes it much more than a savings of 12%. I see complaints on the site about having to renew your plan. It is very simple. All I have to do is log into my customer account and click view my plan and change it. In fact I can change from one fixed rate to another with no termination fee (state of Indiana). My consultant also stays on top of rates, makes sure that I am getting the best possible rate. I don't think NIPSCO has ever watched my back as a customer. Consultants at Ambit Energy do watch out for their customers!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We signed up with Ambit Energy for solar and was very happy with the service they provided. We spoke to our person who took our information and referred us to a specialist. They gave us all the information we needed to help make our decision. The price for the program was excellent and we are saving 100's of dollars every month and would highly recommend this to all of our friends.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I have been a customer, for Ambit Energy with my husband Chris ** and we love their service. We was paying 280 and now 131.70. We have been with Ambit for 6 months, and plan on signing another, 6 month term with them. If you have not signed up with Ambit Energy, I and my husband highly recommend this free company with no contract fees and no sign up fees. 100% just great. Customer service is 99.9% and I know I can trust if they can't answer my questions, they will find someone who can... Go Ambit Energy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am a former customer of Ambit Energy and I would recommend them to anyone asking. Their price was reasonable and it never went up without my being advised in advance of an increase. And they always sent a notice that my contract renewal was ready so I would not be charged more than I already was charged. I was never without power for any significant amount of time and when I had a problem they fixed it promptly.

They always do what they say they will do and they are always on top of any problems you might encounter with your power. Also I can always understand what their representatives in the office are saying. I like everything about them. I do not think there is anything you could dislike about them because they are always up front about everything. There is always someone to answer the phone when you call about a problem. They are quick to respond to any problem or request that you might have or that you encounter.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The experience with Ambit Energy is just like with any other energy provider I used to have. Pretty normal and standard there. But they have superb customer service which is outstanding and that is what I like the most. Nothing else will beat that. They're very helpful and responsive. You get your problem taken care of right away and follow-up. I wish all other companies can learn from this. The one thing I dislike the company is their cost. It’s a bit higher than most of the providers in the market. I wish they can get more competitive rate in the future. Still, I would recommend this company to my friends.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

They are a stable company and setting up the account was no trouble. As a utilities provider the service has been reliable. It has been consistent and comfortable. I haven't had any issues but I feel certain that I would get the response I needed if that occurred. I use gas but not as much as electricity so I almost forget it's there. I have a heater in the main bathroom that uses gas but with the milder winters we've had I seldom need to set the pilot light. But I would not like a rate hike nor to be isolated and ignored in a power outage. If I felt Ambit was backed up with callers I would be patient.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Ambit Energy always were very responsive and sensitive towards my needs and I felt well protected by them, fixing any problem in the shortest time possible. Have very reliable quality service, focused on customers satisfaction rate as high as possible, providing quality service and care to its customers, making them feel well taken care of. Have honest service that you could trust thoroughly and without any hesitation. They never have given me any particular reason to distrust them or doubt that they won't do what they've promised to me to do.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I have had Ambit Energy for several years now and have yet to experience any problems. Price seems fair and any service problems are taken care of by my main electric company. Their savings may only be a few cents difference than my regular provider but any amount helps. They even sent an extra amount to me when they discovered a discrepancy in their established discount. They have consistently saved me money on my electric bill and it is registered on my National Grid bill. Any service request is handled by National Grid, my main electric service provider.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with Ambit was short lived. My husband and I were pulled in with the MLM allure of building a team and having our electric expense being paid for us. The promise of having our electric bill be lower was definitely nice and when we signed up we were given a stay at a hotel, which was also a nice benefit. Outside of that it was like any other electric supplier. We had no problems with power outages and we were told adamantly that Met-ed was to handle any and all issues like that if problems were to occur. But having to re-up with the company after a year was inconvenient and the team effort didn't feel like a team effort. We didn't feel prioritized, just customers to bolster the numbers.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We have had very reliable service at a reasonable price. The lines are maintained by Sharyland with the most competitive distribution charge. The rates were very competitive to the other providers in our area. But they recently raised our rates when our contract renewed. The discounts they offered for paperless billing were minute and I wish we could lower our rate for a longer contract. Other than that, our only lengthy outage was a major ice storm affecting all of Midland. They did their best but it was three days. Other outages have been 5-10 minutes and very few.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have great experience with Ambit Energy! I am saving 38% over what another supplier was charging me. I was absolutely overcharged until I discovered Ambit guaranteed savings plan. And how great is it to receive a travel voucher for a 3 day hotel stay just for switching!? I also receive travel rewards points just for paying my bill. Great incentives program just for paying your bills. I have no clue why people complain about contracts because Ambit specifically states that there is no contract and no cancellation fee. And who would want to cancel the guaranteed savings plan anyways?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I'm very disappointed on the service AMBIT Energy provides to its customers. Their representative have do not care about customers period. I tried signing up for service on 7/31/2017 and through out the time every day that went by there was an excuse why the account could not be set up until 8/7/2017. They took my deposit on 8/8/2017 credit another account and it wasn't until 8/10/2017 that they credited my account. WOW more than 48 hours right. While speaking to a representative 2 or 3 times a day, they would tell me that it would be 24 to 48 hours by the time they would connect my light. ON 8/11/2017 came after 48 and no electricity was connected. When I called them they told me it would be connected until 8/15/2017.

I tell you once again DO NOT choose AMBIT as your energy provider. They are unethical and extremely incompetent to service a customer. I decided to cancel and now I will not get the deposit until 20 to 30 days. Also CESI the supervisor for AMBIT told me that the cancellation order might not go in on time, therefore if the connection takes place, I could be responsible of these charge. I called AEP and they told me that that was not true. A cancellation could be as soon as 8/14/2017. I have a feeling they will not submit cancellation today (8/11/2017 at 5:20 PM) so that they can charge me fees and not give me full $100.00 deposit. Again They are taking advantage of customers. DO NOT CHOOSE AMBIT ENERGY AS YOUR PROVIDER. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Ambit energy have good rate and good work ethics. They want you to help sell their product and you can get a discount on your electricity bills. I call them about power outage and they give me a time. They don't bring their men out. Oncor Electricity come out and respond to power outage. Oncor is good, on time and the worker also check on us and give updates on progress. On the other hand, Ambit Energy's customer service is not good at all. The representative is rude and not patient at all. Customer service representative need more training. I dropped them because of that. Sometime the worker don't understand what's going on. Ambit Energy will be great if they improve their customer service and respect their customer.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

First and foremost, it's apparent these 5-Star reviews aren't real. If you have to pay for good reviews to be written... That's self explanatory. I was contacted by a "consultant" for Ambit. Everything sounded good. I chose to switch to save a small 3% over 12-months. Well... after 12-months I received a renewal letter in which I contacted my "consultant" about. He told me verbatim he would take care of it and there was nothing for me to do. Awesome.

Well... a few months later I receive an electric bill for $310.00. I called Ambit to address it and simply cancel the service to go back to my primary. They told me the only way they would make an adjustment is if I renewed but, they couldn't give me an adjustment if I canceled. How ridiculous is that? They are legitimately forcing people to do business with them by only providing refunds if you renew? I guess the fact that I was lied to by my consultant didn't matter? They don't stand behind their product and just kept repeating "well you received a letter and e-mail". Totally unprofessional, deceptive, and retain 0 customer service skills or empathy.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Ambit Energy has decent plans and rates. They are quite approachable and the representatives are quite informative I would say. My overall experience was good enough. They quite often offer promotions. Their service is quick and I received it in few hours. They often call up to update. I don’t like contracting offered by them. So I decided to switch from Ambit Energy. Sometimes I received high electric bills and was not given a proper explanation. In the initial stage they were quite responsive but sometimes when my electric bill rate was high, the representative could not answer my questions. So not satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

There was a $160 deposit fee that I attempted to pay online but it was rejected by the bank. Ambit could not send me an email or something to say that it never went through. When I checked again, they said that my account was disconnected. So I called to ask about what is going to happen. And they said now I have to pay $175.03 ($160 deposit + $15.03 reinstate fee or late fee something like that). And I asked if there would be any more payment. They told me this was it. Then after I made the payment, there were HIDDEN CHARGES!!! I called again to ask. They said now I have a $40.67 and later a $25 to pay for my first bill. That 40 is the reconnect fee and 25 is the return payment fee. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED and DISSATISFIED with this company. It was my fault to cause myself this problem but the company should have a better customer service. I will NEVER use their service again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My experience with Ambit Energy had been very good. I have never experienced an outage or any other problem. My bill was also always predictable and easy to pay. Everything always worked like clockwork too.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

My experience with Ambit Energy had been good. They are fairly priced and quick to respond if a problem comes about and when there is an outage it is for very little time, with 2 outages in one year and total downtime only one hour. Also, their customer service are always attentive in the past year. They support the community by sponsoring most the high school games, but they could do a little more to help the community by sponsoring more events.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

It’s been pretty good with Ambit Energy. I first heard about them in a conversation with a family friend and decided to sign up with them and so far they've been helpful and haven't given me any serious issues and I'm glad about that. I like the timeliness of responses from their main customer service unit and faculty members as well and the rate of time it takes them to get back with me on an issue and to assist me when I need them and well as their overall patience and mindfulness towards the general population of customers that they accumulate over time.

Although I was unsure of how satisfied I would be (in general) as a potential customer of their services, I can now indefinitely state that I am more than happy that I choose them as my main supplier of energy services in my residential area. Also, in the vast amount of time I've spent into researching different energy providers and companies, I can definitely state that the company Ambit Energy has been very kind, helpful, and considerate towards all of my wants and needs and I most certainly will be looking forward to continuing my membership status and enjoying the benefits and services they offer me, as a consumer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

We signed up with Ambit Energy for electric service approximately 9 1/2 years ago following the advice from a neighbor. The signup process was over the phone. It was quick and very easy! They always send up reminders when our contract is about to expire so we can renew. That way we are always sure we have the best rate possible! I'm always assured the best per kilowatt hour rate available! The door to door salespersons are always coming to our house trying to get us to switch providers. When I inform them of our current rate they are always amazed and blow them out of the water. Other's rates cannot compete!

The only thing that could be better is if Ambit gave us electric service for free! Other than that, the customer service is excellent and the people on the phone are always very courteous and polite. They have been able to answer every question I ever asked of them. Once they even told me it would be cheaper to go with a six month contract instead of a year! Also, their response time has always been extremely timely! Ambit's phone staff is always well prepared to respond to any request quickly! Overall, the best deal around!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I had an almost perfect experience with Ambit Energy. It is normal that from time to time a failure in the service may occur but these faults were repaired in a matter of minutes. I like that the customer service is very efficient and fast. They are also very friendly and even remember you when you call and make your experience memorable. I remember that on one occasion I had problems with my bill and this annoyed me a lot because I was being charged a very exaggerated amount. But then I made a complaint and they solved that situation the same day. They have always been very attentive to me and my family. They do a great job at every opportunity and are so good in that aspect that if it comes to have inconveniences in the future I could even ignore them.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Signed up to help a friend, save a little money, and earn travel rewards. Easy to switch and no noticeable differences. Same bill, just different provider. CMP never gave me a chance to earn free energy!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I was shy to signup, but I'm so glad I did. They showed me how to read my bill the right way, and I can see that they're consistent with their guarantee. I shared all the benefits with my neighbors, and it turns-out I have helped cut some of their bills in half.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have been a customer for 8 months. I have now saved at least $80-$100 per month consistently on every one of my bills! I am a very satisfied customer. After reading some of these reviews I am more than sure that a lot of them are fake. The lady who said, "They would not let me out of my contract", false. When you call to verify your bill being switched over to Ambit the first thing they tell you is there is no contracts! The person who called Ambit because their electricity was turned off... FYI Ambit doesn't turn off your electricity. Your electric company does. Ambit informs you when you sign up for billing and outages to call the company directly not Ambit.

The lady who had a knock on her door and magically was switched to Ambit.... You would have to have given them your bill for them to do that, your account info name address etc so I know that review was fake as well. As many of my friends as I have referred who have signed up, no one has ever had a problem. I'm super happy. Just a few more referrals from me and I will have free energy!

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.
    • Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.
    • Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.
    • Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.
    • Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.
    • Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.
    Profile picture of Jonathan Trout