1.42/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

Ambit Energy Reviews

Original review: July 14, 2019

Did not know that there are transaction fee that charged monthly on my power and gas bill that I do not have to pay. After I switched to Ambit, I carefully monitored my bill and I saved over $150 a year. I had been paying $150 for the same service, same product every year... Thanks to Ambit.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We Live in Edmonton Albert Canada. We have been using Ambit Energy Canada since May 2018. We are having a great experience with Ambit Energy Canada. We are happy with the services for both electricity and natural gas supply. We have no issues with Ambit Energy Canada nor customer service. The online system is easy and friendly. The rate is very competitive. Our family members, friends, and business associates are happy saving money with both of the services. We thank you Ambit Energy Canada finally supply both electricity and natural gas to our city.

Kenny

Edmonton, AB. Canada

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been a Customer & Consultant with Ambit Energy since 2016. They have had great rates and any issues that have come up have been resolved. 90% of the people I have dealt with have been friendly and helpful, which is more than I can say for some other establishments.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have never had a problem with Ambit for over 3 years. I get free electricity with their Free Energy Program and have saved a lot of money. The company sends you an email, text message and a letter about 45 days before you are up for renewal. I suspect that many of the people complaining on this site just never checked their mail or renewed and went into the default rate. My energy consultant also always reminds me to renew. I think Ambit does exactly what they say and what is written in their terms and conditions.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Ambit, in upstate NY, since 2012. So have my parents and siblings. We have never had a bad experience. I have gone onto National Grid's website and did an ESCO comparison for myself as well as my family, and found that we all saved on our bills as promised. EVEN when the polar vortex hit in 2014. Our bills soared, as everyone else's did. I called Ambit & they explained why. I then called National Grid (my incumbent) & had them do a side by side comparison of my bill with Ambit & what it would have been if I had just stayed with my incumbent as my supplier. They researched it & told me that believe it or not, I actually paid LESS thru Ambit than I would have thru them.

I did get my renewal letter as promised. And now it's my understanding that I no longer have to notify them of my wish for renewal, it's automatic. I also get a statement every year as promised. I realize that they may of had some issues to deal with early in their launch, but looks like they have them all ironed out. I would indeed recommend this company to all interested in saving money. I have also compared them to other ESCOs as well, and still believe they are the company to be with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I can not express enough to stay away from this company on every level possible. I have never been through more of a cluster than when I came aboard this company. My contract ended with my current provider and I was looking at a new company to switch to. I ended up with Ambit and made the switch, was told by my representative that it was going to be the best switch ever, and no one could beat their rates.

Long story short, 1st bill comes in for July 2019 and it's for 54$. "Nice" I can handle this. It's the summer time and I could use a break in my financial wallet. Then BOOM, next bill arrives and my bill was now over 700$ for August 2019. I think my family had to call an ambulance, because I just about went into cardiac arrest. I call immediately and ask what in the heck happened, why is my bill almost quadrupled in what I had normally been paying for the last 2 years with my previous provider. I was told it was NEVER seen before, that the temperature was at the highest ever recorded, and that I was being charged the "Real Time Prices". WHAT! What does that even mean!!

So I tell them ok, something has to be done, different plan or anything else, but this is not acceptable on any level. I now have a almost 800$ bill I'm responsible for and don't know how anyone could pay that. So I was offered a payment plan for that amount, and was told I would still receive my normal bill for the following month and still be responsible for the payment plan as well. Well what other choice do I have at this point, as long as your not shutting off my electric because I can't pay that astronomical amount. So we proceed with a payment for that day, along with setting up a plan for the other amounts now owed and we're good. NOPE! I receive my next bill and it's now 426$ plus the additional 100$ from the payment plan. By this time, I have done about lost it.

Fast forward to just a few days ago, I call and tell them I'm done, ("BIG MISTAKE" I know), I can not financially keep getting bill's every month with these amounts charged. I say I would like to cancel, tell me what I owe in order to get off your service/contract "Whatever" because I'm not doing this. I was given the amount, I sternly pay it and then was told that I will be released from my "Switch Hold" in 24-48hrs. Ummm hold up, "Switch Hold", what in the heck does that mean. Come to find out, my address had been put on a switch hold. Means I couldn't get a new provider until that was cleared.

So now comes the fun part!!! I'm thinking ok Monday I will get new service, no problem, the 24-48hrs will be off by then, I'll be good, NOPE!!!! Still there, the next day, still there and now my electric has been turned off completely. I call, no help and was told the switch hold release was never submitted. I escalate to a supervisor to help release the switch hold sooner, because I am now with no electricity in Texas heat and that's no Bueno. Still no help, "Sorry ma'am, you will have to wait until the switch hold is released, which is 24-48hrs" which is just now being submitted.

Now I'm stuck, I'm at work and now trying to figure out how to get my service back on at my home that is occupied at that moment by my 18yr old daughter, my 2 year old grand daughter and 3 little pups, and a fully stocked refrigerator full of groceries that was just purchased the previous day. Needless to say I had to call the "BIG DOGS" (Center Point) and have them check my information to have the switch hold released so I could finally get new service. Thank you Center Point for your help, if I could kiss the lady that did help me, I would. Moral of my story, don't ever use Ambit, Find a new provider before canceling (Which this girl already knew that) but thought I was in the clear with their 24-48hr switch hold BS.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Horrible customer service! Stay away! Got me on a plan for 3 cents/kwh then a few months later went up to 19.5!!!! Found out after they drafted my bank account over $870.00. Called twice on 2 separate days waiting on hold over an hour to remedy this and no one answered! Called a third time and left my phone number to call back when my turn came up and no one called! But if you want to sign up for a new service you get immediately taken care of! I had to switch to a different company and still charged me $199 after I explained my experience with them! All I got was " sorry"!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Ambit Energy offered me the lowest package when Customer Representative advised as the flexible offer. Later on When I got my bill they charged 350$ for 1200 kw which is the highest rate ever. I spoke to customer service but they offered 10$ discount. They are not clear what they offer. I am very disappointed. What did they charged from me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Ambit was promulgating their wholesale plan. Normally, before I switched to it, my bill in the summer was in the 120 range. They called me and offered me their wholesale plan. Avg of 9.1 cents per KWH. What they didn't say was that the rate could go up. This summer my bill was almost $1000.00 for 2 months. My house is small. I am not home between 630 AM and 8OO pm. They will never tell you all of the truth... Be aware the higher your bill, the more your upline makes.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Ambit Energy the worst electric company. I live in 2 bed apartment, my first bill was $480.00 after that it’s like $150-200. And after 2 yrs I move to different apartment with same electric company and same problem. My first bill was $485.00. How comes every time first bill is so high. I talk to them. They say we use that much electric. That’s not right. They rip the people. The company suck. Please nobody gets this company electric.

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout