Ambit Energy

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have great experience with Ambit Energy! I am saving 38% over what another supplier was charging me. I was absolutely overcharged until I discovered Ambit guaranteed savings plan. And how great is it to receive a travel voucher for a 3 day hotel stay just for switching!? I also receive travel rewards points just for paying my bill. Great incentives program just for paying your bills. I have no clue why people complain about contracts because Ambit specifically states that there is no contract and no cancellation fee. And who would want to cancel the guaranteed savings plan anyways?

I'm very disappointed on the service AMBIT Energy provides to its customers. Their representative have do not care about customers period. I tried signing up for service on 7/31/2017 and through out the time every day that went by there was an excuse why the account could not be set up until 8/7/2017. They took my deposit on 8/8/2017 credit another account and it wasn't until 8/10/2017 that they credited my account. WOW more than 48 hours right. While speaking to a representative 2 or 3 times a day, they would tell me that it would be 24 to 48 hours by the time they would connect my light. ON 8/11/2017 came after 48 and no electricity was connected. When I called them they told me it would be connected until 8/15/2017.

I tell you once again DO NOT choose AMBIT as your energy provider. They are unethical and extremely incompetent to service a customer. I decided to cancel and now I will not get the deposit until 20 to 30 days. Also CESI the supervisor for AMBIT told me that the cancellation order might not go in on time, therefore if the connection takes place, I could be responsible of these charge. I called AEP and they told me that that was not true. A cancellation could be as soon as 8/14/2017. I have a feeling they will not submit cancellation today (8/11/2017 at 5:20 PM) so that they can charge me fees and not give me full $100.00 deposit. Again They are taking advantage of customers. DO NOT CHOOSE AMBIT ENERGY AS YOUR PROVIDER. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

First and foremost, it's apparent these 5-Star reviews aren't real. If you have to pay for good reviews to be written... That's self explanatory. I was contacted by a "consultant" for Ambit. Everything sounded good. I chose to switch to save a small 3% over 12-months. Well... after 12-months I received a renewal letter in which I contacted my "consultant" about. He told me verbatim he would take care of it and there was nothing for me to do. Awesome.

Well... a few months later I receive an electric bill for $310.00. I called Ambit to address it and simply cancel the service to go back to my primary. They told me the only way they would make an adjustment is if I renewed but, they couldn't give me an adjustment if I canceled. How ridiculous is that? They are legitimately forcing people to do business with them by only providing refunds if you renew? I guess the fact that I was lied to by my consultant didn't matter? They don't stand behind their product and just kept repeating "well you received a letter and e-mail". Totally unprofessional, deceptive, and retain 0 customer service skills or empathy.

There was a $160 deposit fee that I attempted to pay online but it was rejected by the bank. Ambit could not send me an email or something to say that it never went through. When I checked again, they said that my account was disconnected. So I called to ask about what is going to happen. And they said now I have to pay $175.03 ($160 deposit + $15.03 reinstate fee or late fee something like that). And I asked if there would be any more payment. They told me this was it. Then after I made the payment, there were HIDDEN CHARGES!!! I called again to ask. They said now I have a $40.67 and later a $25 to pay for my first bill. That 40 is the reconnect fee and 25 is the return payment fee. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED and DISSATISFIED with this company. It was my fault to cause myself this problem but the company should have a better customer service. I will NEVER use their service again.

Signed up to help a friend, save a little money, and earn travel rewards. Easy to switch and no noticeable differences. Same bill, just different provider. CMP never gave me a chance to earn free energy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

I was shy to signup, but I'm so glad I did. They showed me how to read my bill the right way, and I can see that they're consistent with their guarantee. I shared all the benefits with my neighbors, and it turns-out I have helped cut some of their bills in half.

I have been a customer for 8 months. I have now saved at least $80-$100 per month consistently on every one of my bills! I am a very satisfied customer. After reading some of these reviews I am more than sure that a lot of them are fake. The lady who said, "They would not let me out of my contract", false. When you call to verify your bill being switched over to Ambit the first thing they tell you is there is no contracts! The person who called Ambit because their electricity was turned off... FYI Ambit doesn't turn off your electricity. Your electric company does. Ambit informs you when you sign up for billing and outages to call the company directly not Ambit.

The lady who had a knock on her door and magically was switched to Ambit.... You would have to have given them your bill for them to do that, your account info name address etc so I know that review was fake as well. As many of my friends as I have referred who have signed up, no one has ever had a problem. I'm super happy. Just a few more referrals from me and I will have free energy!

I was a customer of Ambit since April - 2016: I could not be happier for choosing Ambit Energy as my supplier for Electricity and Gas. For the electric supply costs, my savings were 57%!!! Most surprising was when I also received a "Welcome" gift from the company, just for becoming a customer - voucher for a free 3 days / 2 nights hotel stay. Couple things that made me so easy to enroll with Ambit: I first read in details its service agreement, and then did an in-depth company research (in my main job, I develop and negotiate large commercial contracts within Corporate Procurement field, also with an expertise of 20+ years in "Vendor Risk Management", part of which is deep research on businesses as potential contract partners).

After the first year, I very easily completed an annual renewal - took less than 1-min through my online customer profile, so I am enjoying the savings going forward. Most importantly, the company offers "Guaranteed Savings Plan" for residential electric and gas services in my area - where the minimal savings are guaranteed in-writing. This became very attractive for many of my friends and neighbors: which is another huge advantage of the service offered by Ambit Energy - "Free Energy Program" - the ability to earn free supply of energy through the customer referral program. And one thing I know for sure: nothing on the market beats "free"!!! I would strongly recommend everyone to consider Ambit Energy as your energy supplier!

I signed up with Ambit Energy a year ago to 'help a friend' and really thought it would save me money. After the year was drawing to a close, I decided to do some research to see what rates were comparable. I was being OVERcharged and when I questioned them, they said, "Oh, we'll do an analysis and you'll be getting a check for compensation of the differences." Well, I got NO check and this month, my electric bill more than DOUBLED!! I quickly made the switch back to my local supplier but it will cost me about 2 more weeks of their outrageous charges. I was told I didn't resign with them, but I do not have time to chase BS like this. Watch yourself, it's all saving up front for a bit, but they WHAMO, CHARGES that should be a crime!

I paid my bill on the day set to be disconnected (Yes bad part on me). So of course power was disconnected then I called to rep and she stated the payment was received and she will have the power restored. No problem there. Now come the following day, the power goes out again. I'm thinking it's the neighborhood bc they were doing construction this morning. Then I see the neighbor's lights on. So I call Ambit and they stated the power was disconnected due to me still owing an outstanding balance of $40 to reconnect as part of the deposit. I'm furious at this point. Why wasn't I advise of any outstanding when payment was made, when I spoke to a rep, or by call or email stating the power we be disconnected again???

An amazing company who I've been with as a customer for a year savings of 25% and I will for sure be renewing at the end of my 1 year term! No contract! No fees! Free Energy! Fast friendly customer care who are amazing and friendly! Any questions they listen and answer with sincerity and integrity! Ask them if they like working for Ambit Energy! They voted it best place to work in Dallas in the Dallas morning news! 6 JD Powers and Associates awards for Customers satisfaction! The whole country of Japan is on board! Try the service! Excellent 5 stars in my experience!

Earning travel reward points on a bill I pay for anyway! I love the referral program incentive to gain a chance to earn my retail energy for free. It's a great company with customer service that is easy to deal with. My business is saving an average of $280.00 per month since switching. I can't image why this company is receive poor reviews, they've been professional from day one.

I have now been with Ambit Energy for year. It didn't cost me anything to sign up, and if I didn't like it I could cancel at anytime. After a year, I'm very happy, my bills have gone down. For me it's win, win. I've told friends and some have joined me in the savings. I give it a thumbs up.

One day when we were eating dinner, two people knocked on our door. It was a strange time to get a knock and we don't have many visitors so me and my fiancé thought it was strange. He answers the door and it's two people who are dressed very unprofessional saying they're sent around by the state to make sure our utility companies aren't charging us money when they're not "supposed to". Something felt very off when he came in and told me that's what they said but he wanted to see what they had to say so he brought our bills out anyways. He said they talked amongst themselves and said "you see here? You're being charged when this should be free. Let us make a phone call and we'll let your utility company know they shouldn't be charging you." Mind you this was on our gas bill.

When he came back in and told me what they were doing I decided to Google their company and nothing was coming back so I asked him where they said they were out of and he said the lady wouldn't really give them a straight answer. I told him to go back out and tell them we are not interested because the whole thing seemed fishy to me. They're sent around by the state at 7:30 pm and dressed in jean shorts and a cheaply made business shirt, to make sure our utility company isn't charging us when it's supposed to be free? No other explanation than that, I think not. So they hang up with whoever they were talking to about our gas bill and leave.

A week later I get a letter from my ELECTRIC company saying that I have chosen to switch the Ambit Energy. I was taken aback a bit and didn't understand why I was getting this notice. Then I remembered them coming to our door the previous week. The company they said they were with was not Ambit Energy and they didn't ask to do anything with our electric bill but the only conclusion I can get is it was them trying to pull a fast one on us and switch us to a different energy provider to either save them money or for the company itself. Either way, VERY unprofessional and no company should put in for a switch if they have no written consent or if they speak to me personally first. After reading these reviews I canceled the switch in time thankfully. Don't trust these modern day scam artists!

When these scumbags come to your state to seize properties for their "Bargain" energy you best hang on tight to your family, disconnect your phone and put up a gate to keep the riff raff private detective games that will attack your life from these scumbags. This company and their black op style tactics need to stopped, brought to justice and sued.

First off I would like to say shame on you Consumer Affairs, your accusations of Ambit Energy are inaccurate. Second I would like to thank Ambit Energy for offering me the opportunity of a lifetime to earn residual income and to save money every month on my utilities. As a customer I've never had any issues besides, saving too much money. My bill in February while I was still with the local company was 99$, after switching to Ambit my prices went down to 29$.

At the end of my contract term I will be Renewing my service through my personal customer website, LIKE ALL OF YOU SHOULD BE DOING WHO COMPLAIN ON HERE ABOUT YOUR RATES GOING UP. Ambit literally calls you, texts, and emails you to take action in renewing your service to KEEP THE SAME LOW PRICES FROM WHEN YOU FIRST ENROLLED AS A CUSTOMER. I love Ambit Energy. Thank you so much for helping me save and offering me an opportunity of a lifetime as a consultant. I am a Senior consultant at 25 yrs old. By the time I'm 35 I will have a residual income of about 10-15k per month! Good luck to all of you and keep an eye out for those RENEWAL NOTICES!

I was sold their bill of goods by a company rep. He promised me a specific rate and we arranged the switch over. Their people screwed up the switch, and I received an outrageous bill from my previous provider. Finally do make the switch and my rate is 2.5 times the quoted price. All I want is out of my contract, and even though they know they lied to me they will not let me out of my agreement. They don't give 2 whits about what is right or fair. They've screwed up royally twice and "don't want to set a precedent" by letting me out of my contract. They are an AWFUL organization. STAY AWAY.

I have been a customer for approximately 6 months and have not had a reason to contact them until today. I first tried chatting online with a representative, which was extremely unproductive and then I called customer support. I was requesting a change in my billing cycle every month. The woman told me that they cannot change my due date because it varies every month... I went back over my previous bills with her noting that was never the case. Every month I get notified on the 15th or 16th that my bill is ready to view and due on the 5th of the next month. I was then hung up on. They refuse to work with me or even communicate now. I would not recommend them to anyone. There are competitors that are actually willing to treat you like a valued customer that have just as good rates.

The past three bills from my electric provider had risen significantly. This caused by me not calling and renewing my annual contract which sent my variable rate to go from 7.25 to 14.5 cents per KWH. I have paid $850 in overages in the past three months. Beware of this scam.

I was paying 15.3 cents per kWh before Ambit Energy. I am now paying 9.75 cents for the same energy. I like how there are no contracts or early termination fees. I recently referred 15 customers and now I have received free energy which comes in a month check of around $100. Once a year I renew my account by logging into my free customer website provided by Ambit. I don't know how people can complain about this company. I am very happy.

Customer for over a year, 100% happy. Checked every bill and have never paid more than AEP. Ambit is only a supplier, which means the reviews stating they were disconnected due to Ambit are laughable. The incumbent will always distribute, connect/disconnect, and bill you. Ambit isn't an electric or gas company, they are an energy supplier. They can't disconnect or connect you. The only bad reviews I've seen that are truthful are the ones where people forget to renew and are then put on a variable rate. Guess what, that happens with any energy supplier! In other words, that was their own fault. Ambit sends out notifications a month in advance to renew. Basically, if you're going to write a review, please be truthful or own up to your mistakes.

We have been Ambit customers for almost 2 years and are very satisfied with the service offered us by this reputable company. They have notified us each time we have changed our rate with them through the free website they offered us as customers, and they have been extremely helpful and professional each time we have been contacted via phone. We have lowered our Ambit electric rate on 5 separate occasions. It is interesting that people cannot take the 60 seconds it takes to renew their own energy plan through Ambit but will spend 5+ minutes to write up a negative review and post it on the internet. But then I realize it is the "It's not my fault" generation. Only 397 complaints out of 1.4 million customers is a pretty good track record.

I am so amazed every month when the power bill comes in that it is so LOW! No, I am not receiving the free energy, shut the front door when I do. The amount that I pay every month is lower and lower, OH and I am eligible for travel rewards on top of that. Hum, that is like paying once and receiving 2 things. Thank you Ambit for saving so many people money month after month!

I sign with Ambit 2 month ago. My bill for electricity come to 196 kWh and the charge come to $10.29. They charge me another $ 9.99 for low usage but on top of that they charge me $143.81 for delivery so that make a total bill of $185,42. I call their customer service 3 different times and all the time get RUDE answers to my problem. Ambit offered a low price for Kwh but they don't tell customers that they make their money on overcharging the AEP charges. Somebody suggest me to call AEP a day. I did but they told me that they can not control Ambit charges. My neighbors use more electricity than I and pay under $70.00. I ask them to cancelled my contract but they want $250.00 in order to do it. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR STAY AWAY OF AMBIT.

When I moved in, I was being referred to this company through the leasing office. After careful consideration I did went through because I was in need of quick electricity. Guess what, these scumbags charge you at very VARIABLE electricity rates. I got 7.3 cents rate, but guess what is my average monthly rate? It's anywhere from 9.8 cents to 13.2 cents per month. Scumbags write all ** in fine prints in agreement.

Do not believe in this company. They are just trying to get people money without any notice from their credit card. If you want have pain in the neck you may go with them, like I did unfortunately. I signed with them as a consultant and I paid the starting fee and 1st month website payment. And I realized that I could not do this and I wanted to stop before the 1st month over. I called them to stop and I quit. But they still charged me the second month fee without any notification, without any receipt and bill. I called them and explained. They told they cannot refund. Just wasting time...

Upon reading all these people's complaints, one thing becomes clear: they didn't renew their service with Ambit like they were told numerous times to do. We've been satisfied with them fir 5 1/2 yrs now. We've been saving 18% over what the incumbent would have charged us because we paid attention to the email letter that Ambit sent us. Thanks for reading this.

They kept my service on even when I moved and a new tenant moved into that apartment with a different energy company and they kept charging me. I had removed my billing payment information and didn't renew the service, but they auto-switched to a variable plan without contacting me and then tried to back charge me. After finally calling to "officially" cancel the service, I explained this and they seemed to agree. Fast forward 6 months later, with no other form of contact and having moved to a completely different state, I receive a "final notice" letter saying the balance owed had tripled in late fees and they were going to put a collections agency after me. All the representatives I spoke with were friendly, albeit completely unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend this energy company to my worst enemy.

Terrible! 1 1/2 hrs on the phone! Trying to shop for electricity etc! I have NEVER spent that kind of time with nothing accomplished! Spoke to 10 people, management (joke)... finally hung up on these idiots! Never again!

I have been with Ambit for two years. They always send out a letter to remind you of your contract renewal date is and they also call you. I am a rep and have never had any complaints at all. No company is 100% perfect and I have not read all the reviews but any big company has a few unhappy people. If you have any problem with any company, mine is DirecTV, however, I have learned you just keep asking for their manager until you are satisfied, and their manager etc.

I call in about a minor question that maybe I should know but they are super nice and help right away. They do not have people in customer service that you can't understand either. A big plus I think. And you have the ability to get Free electric. And as long as you keep a contract, as with most companies, all companies are in the ball park. Sorry if anyone is disappointed with them as I have not heard nothing negative. Now TXU and Reliant are terrible, they do not call or send out a letter, fyi. I believe they even send you a email.

Expert Review

Jonathan TroutConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Jonathan Trout believes having access to free, comprehensive information on products and businesses is vital to making smart purchasing decisions. He focuses his efforts on researching and reviewing multiple brands across a variety of industries, with the goal of writing unbiased buyers guides to help inform consumers on impending purchases.    More about Jonathan→

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.
  • Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.
  • Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.
  • Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.
  • Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.
  • Best for energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Compare Illinois Electricity Companies