1.36/5

Need a utility company?

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Ambit Energy Reviews

Original review: July 14, 2019

Did not know that there are transaction fee that charged monthly on my power and gas bill that I do not have to pay. After I switched to Ambit, I carefully monitored my bill and I saved over $150 a year. I had been paying $150 for the same service, same product every year... Thanks to Ambit.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We Live in Edmonton Albert Canada. We have been using Ambit Energy Canada since May 2018. We are having a great experience with Ambit Energy Canada. We are happy with the services for both electricity and natural gas supply. We have no issues with Ambit Energy Canada nor customer service. The online system is easy and friendly. The rate is very competitive. Our family members, friends, and business associates are happy saving money with both of the services. We thank you Ambit Energy Canada finally supply both electricity and natural gas to our city.

Kenny

Edmonton, AB. Canada

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been a Customer & Consultant with Ambit Energy since 2016. They have had great rates and any issues that have come up have been resolved. 90% of the people I have dealt with have been friendly and helpful, which is more than I can say for some other establishments.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have never had a problem with Ambit for over 3 years. I get free electricity with their Free Energy Program and have saved a lot of money. The company sends you an email, text message and a letter about 45 days before you are up for renewal. I suspect that many of the people complaining on this site just never checked their mail or renewed and went into the default rate. My energy consultant also always reminds me to renew. I think Ambit does exactly what they say and what is written in their terms and conditions.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Ambit, in upstate NY, since 2012. So have my parents and siblings. We have never had a bad experience. I have gone onto National Grid's website and did an ESCO comparison for myself as well as my family, and found that we all saved on our bills as promised. EVEN when the polar vortex hit in 2014. Our bills soared, as everyone else's did. I called Ambit & they explained why. I then called National Grid (my incumbent) & had them do a side by side comparison of my bill with Ambit & what it would have been if I had just stayed with my incumbent as my supplier. They researched it & told me that believe it or not, I actually paid LESS thru Ambit than I would have thru them.

I did get my renewal letter as promised. And now it's my understanding that I no longer have to notify them of my wish for renewal, it's automatic. I also get a statement every year as promised. I realize that they may of had some issues to deal with early in their launch, but looks like they have them all ironed out. I would indeed recommend this company to all interested in saving money. I have also compared them to other ESCOs as well, and still believe they are the company to be with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Please beware of Ambit Energy Plans. Read the small letters. I was a happy customer of Ambit Energy for 6+ years until I was charged more than twice from one month to the other consuming less KW hours. My went from an average $300 to $762.55 without any explanation but because I had switched to Wholesale Plan. They claim that they will charge customers based on the energy demand at that month. I will never contract their services and will never recommend anyone to subscribe to their service. After 6 years of loyalty they did not even have the courtesy of alerting me and offer a payment plan. I felt robbed and ripped off.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Please do not get this service. I am in Mansfield, Texas in an apartment and I am receiving on average a 160 electricity bill every month. I get charged 3 additional fees for outsourcing. It's absolutely ridiculous to where I'm thinking about filing a lawsuit.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

This company trying hard to get money from you, customer service sucks especially in Texas. Not sure if this people are trained enough to the position. Is a scam. Beware and do your homework before you got stuck.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Our landlord highly recommended using Ambit Energy at our new rental home. He referred us to an Ambit "consultant". I expected to speak with an employee, but got a man name Paul. Paul told me about a "market plan" which he had been a part of for a year. His bills had been much much lower. He told me this plan follows the market so in theory, it could go up with the market, but, he told me, it would never go more than double a normal month, and he didn't even expect that. I asked if there was a termination fee. He told me yes, but that I just had to ask for it to be removed. We joined the plan.

I later learned that Paul had a "downline" that I was on, and enjoyed free energy as a result of signing me and others up. Our first month's bill was over $900 for a 2200 square foot house (a normal month was about $250). The company then charged me $200 to terminate. The market did spike that month, I learned from other sources, and I did sign up for the plan that followed the market. But what bothered me was a person representing Ambit out of their home, making total bogus promises in order to make the sale and build their downline. Ambit did not honor any of his promises. He of course didn't have power to honor his own promises.

Lesson learned, when something feels off in business, run the other way, and do more homework. DON'T do business with Ambit through "consultants" and DON'T expect Ambit customer service to make things right with you if their representatives lie to you about their policies. I talked to three managers who simply repeated policy procedure to me, though one of them did admit "If I were you, I'd feel scammed too." Ok. Well. My advice is to AVOID this company.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I spoke with a nice representative today, who helped me as much as she can. My problem is not with her specifically, it is with Ambit Energy as a whole. I receive a extra $30 a month fee on my bill, because my payment due date does not fall on the days that I am paid from my job. The company will not allow me to move my due date, which I have requested to be done twice. Which means, in the past 6 months I have paid a additional almost $200 for electricity which is not at all fair.

If I would not have looked carefully at my bill this month, I never would have noticed the additional charges I have been being billed. I was told my bill would be less than I had been previously paying, which was a lie. My bill has actually been higher than what I was previously paying. I made the WORST mistake moving to ambit energy, and as soon as my contract is over I will feel better. I WILL NOT EVER renew with this company, and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AMBIT ENERGY TO ANY CUSTOMER!

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout