4.0/5 (495 ratings)

About Ambit Energy

Ambit Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

The worst possible company in the whole world! In 13 years I moved around the world I didn't have as many issues as with this company, they don't resolve any problems you have with their service either. There is no date to schedule the payment, they change it every month and refuse to make fixed Date as a company policy. Every time you call (why is that many problems that we had 8 conversations in 6 months?!?) They tell you different information! I'm trying to cancel it, even that can't be done in 4 days, but they will leave a day after I move out?!? That's not all! They automatically take the last payment off your deposit and give you-listen to this- 24h to make any complaint to the amount!!! Just take any other service!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

In the first apartment me and my GF didn't have issues until we moved. My GF messaged someone in the website about moving and trying to finalize info. The person left the chat out of nowhere so it never got finalized but it's their file that it happened, but we still had to pay electricity for the old apartment an extra 3 months while we also had to pay the current apartment complex $300 for OUR Electricity. When I called Customer Service, the dude was no help, saw the message they had with my GF, and when I was telling him about how we moved 3 months ago before I called. He just kept saying, "you requested to change places this month" and when I asked if he can help out with the amount that's due Today ($255). He said he can help set up a payment plan.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

I originally had Ambit in my old apartment unit and I had no issues at all. It wasn’t until I moved to my new unit when I realized how unprofessional this company is. I called to change my address and was told the correct address. A few months later I come to realize that one of their representatives put the wrong address on file so I was paying electricity for an address I never lived in! I first called them for a reimbursement on the 1st of September. It is now the 10th of October and I have been dealing with issue for over A MONTH. They still haven’t received my reimbursement and they’ve been asking for documents which I have already sent THREE TIMES. After this lease, I will NEVER do service with Ambit EVER again!!! This is all over a mistake they did!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I couldn't figure out how to login into my account so I called to pay the bill. The lady on the phone told me it 121 and I gave her my card. An hour later they turned my power off. Charged me a reconnect fee and I had to wait almost 24 hours to get power again. They straight up lied to me when I was clear about what needed to be paid... Then spent another hour on the phone trying to get it all figured out to be told it was my fault... When they send the paper bill to the wrong address and never emailed me a bill and told me the amount was 121, I paid all to screw me... Stay far away from this trash company.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Ambit Energy they charge too much, won't reveal properly during initial connection, I was not satisfied as their charges are 21 cents + taxes and unnecessary charges, there are suppliers where you will get it for just 14 cents only including everything + delivery... These people they charge too much, I had disconnected within 2 weeks and they charge 200$, they are trying to force everyone to stay with them, it's not correct the choice should be optional. I will try everything to report this to higher management.. Choice should be there to disconnect at least for 30 days. I called customer care also no use as I am new to Texas, wasn't aware of this kind of cheating here...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

My roommate lost their job because the business she worked for shut down due to the pandemic. I couldn't afford everything on my own so I called Ambit to get assistance. One agent said if I pay $150 first, then we could qualify for an assistance program. Lies!!! They had no such thing even after paying $165 and speaking to a supposed manager. They charge a fee for LITERALLY everything (pay by phone, pay thru an agent, etc). They give no grace for anything even if you're going through a hardship.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

They are absolutely terrible!!!! Open my account and I was in shock. My jaw literally Drop to the floor!!! $335 for one month for a 2 bedroom apartment. Called them and she started giving me the excuses, I told her I wanted to speak to a Manager and she told me she’s the only manager, and that no one else can help me! Open my account 2 days later after I said, "Ok I’ll pay" and Saw a $610. Now they trying to charge me triple!!!! Do not use this company. Disgusting behavior. Lousy customer service will rob you blind! And now I want Disconnect and they wanna charge me $199. So total amount of almost over $1000. If you want to spend your money for no reason just go to the mall and shop till you drop. Don’t spend it for air!!!! Will never ever use them again.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I have been dealing with a nightmare. Despite all of their rising fees and mistakes, I've never missed a payment in 10 years. I called to have service disconnected at the end of June as I was moving and set up a new plan for my new apartment. They are claiming I didn't disconnect the old service (which I absolutely did) and my auto payment last month went to pay a bill on the old place for a month of electricity that I didn't use as I didn't live there instead of the new service (which I never received a separate bill for). Now my new service is past due.

I was told that they were transferring the payment to my new account but it wasn't done. So I called again but now they're telling me they can't transfer it because it was already applied to a another bill that I owe (again, that was for electric I didn't use). Now, I'm being forced to pay $155 for the old apartment bill and $187 for the new one all for the month of July. I'm one person and can't afford to be scammed like this. They'll do anything to get more money out of you. Do not use these people if you have another choice.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Everytime I turn around there is new charges. So I call to make a payment plan since we are paying over $400 a month and I get the mail and agreement in the mail 3 days later we get a shut off notice. I call to find out what is going on and the SUPERVISOR tells me they messed up and they have to make another payment plan even though we already made a payment on this plan. I have every letter and agreement that we made and on Monday I am contacting the Texas utility commission with all my proof. These companies shouldn't be able to screw people over like this. So now I have to go without my medicines because I had to pay the bill after the agreement they made.

Original review: July 24, 2022

My roofers tore my electrical service from my home. Steps weren’t followed by my electrician but Ambit really came thru for me. Accidents happen and when we’re looking sad Ambit came thru for me. I have M/S they didn’t even know and not aware and the heat adversely affects me especially with our 100 plus degree days

Thanks Ambit.

Ambit Energy author review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team