2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.45/5

Ambit Energy Reviews

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I can't believe I just had to fill out an online application and now I pay less money on each gas and electric bill. No sign-up fee. It's just a lower energy rate (and lower admin fee) for the same gas and electricity I was getting before (same supplier). Good website for checking usage and billing history, too. I'm recommending it to my friends now.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Well I’ve had Ambit since 2009 and qualified for their free energy program. I get a check from them every month for around $120.00 to 150.00 per month just for being a customer and since I referred 15 people I qualified for the free energy program. Plus no cancellation fee or contract. I do have to renew every 12 months or my rate will go to a variable and it’s a lot higher than the fixed. But I do get a letter letting me know I need to call in and renew my service. I understand maybe people have had their own experience. But for the past 10 years I’ve been able to put back 14,000 dollars. I was able to invest that in bitcoin and it changed my life. Thanks Ambit.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Did not know that there are transaction fee that charged monthly on my power and gas bill that I do not have to pay. After I switched to Ambit, I carefully monitored my bill and I saved over $150 a year. I had been paying $150 for the same service, same product every year... Thanks to Ambit.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We Live in Edmonton Albert Canada. We have been using Ambit Energy Canada since May 2018. We are having a great experience with Ambit Energy Canada. We are happy with the services for both electricity and natural gas supply. We have no issues with Ambit Energy Canada nor customer service. The online system is easy and friendly. The rate is very competitive. Our family members, friends, and business associates are happy saving money with both of the services. We thank you Ambit Energy Canada finally supply both electricity and natural gas to our city.

Kenny

Edmonton, AB. Canada

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have never had a problem with Ambit for over 3 years. I get free electricity with their Free Energy Program and have saved a lot of money. The company sends you an email, text message and a letter about 45 days before you are up for renewal. I suspect that many of the people complaining on this site just never checked their mail or renewed and went into the default rate. My energy consultant also always reminds me to renew. I think Ambit does exactly what they say and what is written in their terms and conditions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I was convinced by friend to sign up with Ambit Energy so that he can get a commission. He promised that it would be cheaper than the regular provider in NJ JCP&L. After about 1 year with Ambit I thought my electricity bill was higher than normal. I finally got around to checking the bill about a year later. I found the price per kwh charged by Ambit Energy was more the 1.5 the price from JCP&L.

JCP&L Ambit Energy
          Aug-19 $0.0809 $0.1564
          Sep-19 $0.0914 $0.1652
          Oct-19 $0.0914 $0.1698
          Nov-19 $0.0926 $0.1715

Dec-19 $0.0936 $0.1737

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Never got a renew contract letter or phone call. They jacked a new month to month to 18 percent. Talked to a rep I couldn't understand (do they do this on purpose?) Almost 500.00 bucks this month. Filed complaint with PUC but doubt if they can help. Oh well, looks like I do without groceries this month.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

When I moved into my apartment complex, I was told that Ambit Energy was the only company that I could go through. The apartment staff made me sign up for electricity with an agent over the phone that led me to believe it was the only service I could receive. They signed me up for a 6 month plan when my lease was a year long. After 6 months and an email, which I never saw but apparently received, detailing how I was about to be placed on a month-to-month plan, my monthly bill more than doubled. I assumed it was because summer prices were just more expensive and that's just how it was so I let it go.

It was winter by the time I realized my rates were not going down and I had wasted hundreds of dollars being price gouged because I did not read the fine print and just paid my bills like the sucker they knew I probably would be for signing up with their service in the first place. Long story short, practically every service is cheaper and just as good because all they are is some shady middle-man electricity provider built on some parasitic multi-level-marketing scheme. I think they outsource everything from the actual electricity service to customer service to other companies and at the end of the day what even is the point of this company Good riddance you unregulated, price gouging, predatory sham of a 'service' provider.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My previous apartment complex, only allowed us to use Ambit Energy, so I chose them by default. I was never once late on paying my bill, matter of fact I paid early each month. When I decided to move, I called Ambit a month in advance to inform them that I was moving. I provided all the information they requested; move date, forward address, email, everything. I called two weeks before to confirm, a week before and they before just to make sure I was covered. Everyone I spoke to, assured me everything was good to go. I moved out, paid my last bill and I was assured my 3 different representatives that, that was it and I was good. I asked repeatedly, if they were sure, because it has been my experience that, even after you move out, there is usually still one more bill. Again, I was told my 3 different representative that was it.

Fast forward to 6 months later, I am checking my credit report and score, and boom, my credit score has dropped by 34 points. I was so baffled, but I had done made any major changes or purchases that could affect my score that much. I keep looking, and boom there it is. A $30 collection bill from Ambit. I was shocked. $30 stinking dollars. I looked through all my emails to make sure I didn’t receive a bill a missed it, and nothing. I checked all my mail, nothing. I logged into my ambit account (with my old information), nothing. I called Ambit, and was rudely told that, had I paid my bill, it would not have been sent to collections. I was baffled.

I explained to the representative Kadeem, based out of Dallas TX (where I reside), that I had not received any bills, phone calls or mail, because surely if I did, it would have been paid immediately, just like all the others. I said to let me know when the bill was sent, he was not able to, I asked him, why no call, he didn’t have a straight answer, why no mail, and nothing. Ambit decided to send my bill to collections, without even attempting to contact me. Even after I called, for their mess up, I was met with a rude representative named Kadeem, for just trying to figure out why I was in collections. Now, I have this bad remark on my credit, that will remain for 2+ years. A credit I worked so hard for. This is my experience, so if you plan to move or something similar and you are with Ambit. Please do yourself a favor and triple check everything, before you get screwed like I did. Or better yet, don’t use them at all, if you can avoid it.

Best,

Fatou

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I was on a average billing plan and I will never recommend it to anyone. First off, my service plan was interrupted 6 months in due to a neighbor setting up service and putting in my apartment number. I didn't know this as it was corrected. When I was hit with a bill outside of my monthly bill, customer service told me that the large amount owed was the average billing amount. I was told that if my full 12 months had been reached, it wouldn't have been so large. I pointed out that I didn't cancel or interrupt my own service and didn't understand why my plan couldn't be resumed. Obviously I wasn't expecting that bill and I was going to be continuing to use them. The customer service was nice, but I did end up having to pay the large amount.

This year, my plan ended and I knew I was switching. I had 2 billing cycles on a much higher rate plan, which was not a surprise on me (just busy). My bills were both 150-250 each. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment by myself and work full time. Even in the Texas summer, I have not had bills that high. I switched to another company. I paid my last bill 12/22. On 12/26 they charged me 250 for the average billing from 2 MONTHS!!! That means that my 150-250 bills were lower than what they should have been???? I called and was told that it was the plan I was on, though I had my letter that said I would be on a month to month variable plan if I didn't renew. SOMEHOW, I was switched to another plan that included average billing, though I never authorized it.

I was told today that "well I wasn't charged a cancellation fee". Of course not, I was on a month to month plan! Why would you switch customers to average billing when they are on month to month? Why would you not pick up the phone and call your customers or have their identity confirmed when they are "switching" to another plan? Their explanations are not very detailed and they don't try to help or retain customers. Long story short: you will be overcharged, don't enroll in a average billing plan, though customer service reps are nice, they can't help much, and choose a different company.

Not sure about Ambit Energy?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team