2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.9/5 (251 ratings)

About Ambit Energy

Ambit Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Ambit had a technological glitch in January that caused them to delete our auto payment information. They did not try to reach out to us about this (except one phone call with no voicemail), or fix the issue on their side. After one month they shut off our power due to lack of payment. When we called it took them 4 hours to turn it back on. We tried to complain, and the service representative spoke from a script, could not help us or offer us any compensation except to reimburse the late fees, which were their fault to begin with.

Eventually, they offered us a credit on our account, but could not tell us that they would take this complaint seriously, or had any plans to keep this from happening in the future. This company does not seem to care about the customer, and only wants to squeeze as much money out of us as they can. We are switching companies as soon as our contract is up (It also has a $200 late fee).

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Ambit Energy is my electric provider for my office building. I recently received the latest statement that said my payment was late. I had set it up on autopay with a credit card. I called and they said it was a glitch. My American Express was fine and I never had any problems with it. I always pay the balance so it wasn't my card. The rep couldn't explain why it didn't go through, nor why no one called me. By the way, I am unable to log in to my account and they can't reset it. I will be changing this company when my contract is up.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Beware of this company. We stared with them and after 6 months we decided to cancel their service and move from that address. They told us that it would take a month for them to cancel the service. After that, we started to receive letters with bills that we already paid. For some reason now we owe more than $700 in past bills. Which is impossible since we already paid them and moved out of that address. We called customer service and the representative (a lady) we talked with was very rude, angry and yelled at us. Unacceptable for a company to have this kind of employees. She didn’t help us at all and tried to threat us saying they will send us to collection agencies and our credit score will suffer. Such behavior is very shameful. They are a scam. Don’t let them get you. I’ve read other reviews online of people experiencing the same situation. Please be careful if you already have this service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I moved to Texas and was unaware that you had to choose a Electric provider. If I knew I would have done some research on providers and read some reviews. I have canceled them due to their over charging rates and have been trying to get an overpayment refunded. This process has been tough, to say the least. It has been over a month since my first request and they acknowledge my first call but admit nothing was done, but can not speed up the process to get me my refund to me. Do yourself a favor and do not choose Ambit Energy to be your Electric Provider.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

The online portal is poor. I had set up a Pre-Auth payment from my credit card so I wouldn't have to worry about going into the online portal to make payments. The website confirmed I was enrolled. A month later I find out that I am receiving late payment fees because for some reason I am not enrolled even though the website confirmed that I was. Customer service was not able to refund late fees or commit to listening to my situation or change the portal. Obviously some technical issues here.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

They will cheat you out of every dollar they can. Their customer service agents do not understand how to provide accurate information, they are extremely slow, and they have tried to change my payment due date 3 times to charge me late fees. The list could go on... I can't rank them low enough.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Ambit started off OK, stating their electric rates were the cheapest. Sucked us in for a year commitment and it took multiple calls on the phone to run away from them after after the 1 year commitment, calling to cancel service and having to follow up 58 days later to find out they never cancelled service. Somehow, they were able to attempt to invoice me $56 after the requested disconnect. Quick break down. $56 balance, $40 deposit being taken out of that. $10 fee for disconnect notice that they did not do their job on. Leaves a balance of $6 on the account. I asked them to zero this out of 1 year of 100% on time payments and they said NO. Please make sure you run away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I been with them for months now and if your power happen to go out it take them 24 hours to bring it back on. I had things on the refrigerator that went bad. Worst part is they don’t tell you this when you signed up with them.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Ambit Energy used to be a great company as our electricity provider. We've been with them for over 10 years. At the beginning of the year, they didn't see that we had paid our bill, and they shut off our electricity. They apologized and within a couple of hours it was turned back on. We let their mistake go as we all make them. They have turned into a sloppy energy provider with higher than normal rates. In order to change to a different plan within their company, the customer must pay the $199 cancellation fee. We will be paying that, but switching to another provider. Save yourself the trouble and do NOT chose Ambit Energy. They're not what they used to be. Horrible customer service and policies.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I have always been contacted before any change has been made. They never sent me a letter or called me to inform me I was being put on a higher plan. They never contacted me. They put me on a higher rate with a year's contract that I did not agree to.

Ambit Energy author review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team