1.79/5

Need a utility company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

495 Ambit Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 4, 2019

I called up a friend in Dallas who worked at Mary Kay at the time, and asked him how they did this in a way that people looked at them with pride and respect. He told me, "Never sacrifice integrity for growth." Since then, we have held that as our mantra. Jere Thompson, Jr., Inc. 500 Interview (CEO of Ambit Energy). Really? That's not the treatment I recently encountered at Ambit Energy.

In December, my husband and I divorced after 23 years of marriage. The Ambit Energy account was in his name. I called last week to have the billing statement transferred into my name since I was staying in the house. The Representative told me that my ex-husband had to call first and give permission for the account to be changed. Sounds a bit sexist doesn't it? I was surprised at this since all the other utilities that serviced my home transferred the ownership the same day with only minor inconvenience. (e.g. copy of the divorce decree etc.) None the less, I obliged.

My ex-husband called on Saturday and gave me a 5-day window to have the service transferred before it was to be disconnected. Today I called Ambit back and learned that the service was not going to be transferred, instead I had to open up a brand new account, possibly pay a deposit, pay a fee, and be subject to the same plan with increased costs. Now I ask you, is that "never sacrificing integrity for growth?" Would any sensible person look at Ambit Energy's handling of this already sensitive issue and look at them with "pride and respect?" I think not.

And to add insult to injury, there is now a cancellation order in effect for March 7th which does not give me enough time to sign up with a competitor. If I do take Ambit's unfair option, I am subject to a $199 early cancellation fee if I change providers. If I don't, I will be without power for about 5 days in 30-degree weather. Where is the respect and integrity for customer loyalty in those options? Remember the community property paid our bill for the last 3 years; not just my ex-husband.

Divorce is difficult enough on all parties without having a greedy corporation making money off your hardship. The most ironic thing about this scenario is that I have a higher credit score and more liquid assets than my ex-husband and yet he is treated with royalty (allowed to give his permission for a change to the account) and I am treated like a dreg. Again, I ask you is Ambit Energy sexist or just uncaring?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I start with this company since 6 months ago. Every month I observed that the bill goes over and over. I'm a senior and I live in a studio. This studio has a stove, a dishwasher and a refrigerator, but I can't use the dishwasher either so much the stove. Just one time during the day. Also I haven't a microwave. Just use the heater when is necessary. Just I have emails sending to this company about my inquiry, but I have no answered. Before this company I signed a contract with other and they didn't know nothing about Ambit Energy.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I transferred to Ambit after receiving a $500 bill from TXU. For the first year all was fine as I paid under $150 a month. My son and I lived in a 2 BR townhouse. My son has since moved and I moved to a smaller unit. I ran into problems when it was time to renew. I renewed in Dec 2018 per email from Ambit. A second email request to renew came in Jan 2019. I didn't respond as I had just renewed. I receive my Jan bill and it's over $200. I call and they tell me that I renewed too early in Dec and should have responded to the second request to renew and was placed on a month to month contract...which doesn't make sense since I renewed in Dec per their request.

I pay the bill...renew again for 12 mos. I've received my Feb bill $287 which is more than double what I was paying when my son and I lived in the 2br. They are basically saying that I as a single individual who is barely home as I work all the time is using more power than what my son and I used. So I don't know where to turn...I have to pay the bill. I requested that they check meter to make sure it's functioning properly... $34 if they find that it is. I'm afraid to see what my bill will look like this summer. It's $199 to cancel and additional money to change to someone else. Read reviews for others and they are not good. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have never had a problem with Ambit for over 3 years. I get free electricity with their Free Energy Program and have saved a lot of money. The company sends you an email, text message and a letter about 45 days before you are up for renewal. I suspect that many of the people complaining on this site just never checked their mail or renewed and went into the default rate. My energy consultant also always reminds me to renew. I think Ambit does exactly what they say and what is written in their terms and conditions.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Don't fall for this nonsense! After my first year was up, they raised my rate by nearly 50% the first month. Now it's at nearly double the regular rate that my electric company charges! When I called to cancel, they told me it would take 1-2 months to shut it off and all the while, I have to pay these outrageous generation rates. All in all, it's going to end up costing us around $120 more by the time they change my supplier back to my normal company. This kind of stuff should be illegal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Like others have said, they will change your plan after 1 year. They sent a mailer telling me to call but by time I actually received it, it was too late. They changed me into a variable plan for 2 months before PSEG took over. Any savings I would have had are now gone with those rates. The letter was printed on Dec. 11, 2018. I called on Jan. 12, 2019. The day my plan was supposed to end. There is no way to be able to call in the time period they give you. Also I had my gas thru them as well. They cancelled plan not me. Because it was cancelled before the year I lost my guaranteed savings. WTF. I didn't cancel it - they did!!! You only save 1% if you are lucky and able to renew the plan in a short timeframe. Otherwise you lose money!!! I am looking into class action in NJ.

They say if you call 10 days before the plan ends you don't have wait 1 to 2 billing cycles, then why do I have to wait that time in every other situation. Why can't they just renew an existing plan that guarantees saving instead of cancelling it and putting you into a different higher rate program which they will do once you're in the variable rate program. They have no issues renewing that one for you. Scam scam. And don't dare use a curse word on the phone - the people's ears fall off if you do. Snowflakes. People telling me I can't talk the way I do. I didn't curse at or disrespect the person I was talking to. They didn't like the fact I said this, "** company" or "This is **." I was not allowed to express myself using legit words they do not approve of. I use those words as adjectives. I could have been very disrespectful using so called non-curse word.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I just started services with them on 1/14/19. They sent me a bill in the mail on 1/19/19 and stated I owed them $590 dollars... I proceeded to call to see if it was an error on their end and the lady who took the call answered laughing and giggling talking about people, then when I explained my issue she then put me on hold for 5 to 10 minutes (to probably finish her conversation in peace). She got back on the phone and said it was from an account from 2015 I had but which was 5 years ago... When I asked why they didn’t state this from jump when I started service the young lady said she didn’t know and then ask was that all... I then ask to speak to a supervisor and she hung up the phone... THIS COMPANY IS A COMPLETE RIPOFF. FULL OF UNPROFESSIONAL WORKERS AND DESERVES TO BE SHUTDOWN & BANKRUPT.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Ambit, in upstate NY, since 2012. So have my parents and siblings. We have never had a bad experience. I have gone onto National Grid's website and did an ESCO comparison for myself as well as my family, and found that we all saved on our bills as promised. EVEN when the polar vortex hit in 2014. Our bills soared, as everyone else's did. I called Ambit & they explained why. I then called National Grid (my incumbent) & had them do a side by side comparison of my bill with Ambit & what it would have been if I had just stayed with my incumbent as my supplier. They researched it & told me that believe it or not, I actually paid LESS thru Ambit than I would have thru them.

I did get my renewal letter as promised. And now it's my understanding that I no longer have to notify them of my wish for renewal, it's automatic. I also get a statement every year as promised. I realize that they may of had some issues to deal with early in their launch, but looks like they have them all ironed out. I would indeed recommend this company to all interested in saving money. I have also compared them to other ESCOs as well, and still believe they are the company to be with.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I live on a split level house, new windows, solar panel and heat pump (electric). It's all electric. No gas or oil and they doubled the rates, i was paying 0.9 and I got charged 0.18 per kwh without notice or anything. I will call them tomorrow (Monday) and want to see what they gonna say. Also they estimate usage and that's B/S. I don't use 2600kwn per month. One time was 3400 kwn per month, and as I said I have solar panel, new windows, central heat pump etc.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Shady business practices. They prey on folks who fail to renew their contracts. My rate went from .0675 to .012375 after my guaranteed savings plan ended. They claim I should have received a notification about renewing. Never saw it. What kind of people would charge you double the average national rate. Thieves, scam artist, liars. Pure evil. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I will never recommend this company. They charge you 10.00 to send you a letter to tell you you are late. When I requested it to be waived they told me I should pay it because it was part of my contract to give me an extension to pay my bill. When asked why they can't waive it, the answer given because I had been charged this fee in the past and had paid it. Apparently I was not aware of it then, but needless to say they charge additional fees and then unlike other companies refuse to waive them to make money. We work too hard for our money for a big company like this to just make up a fee and not inform you of this especially in a technology world of emails and online bill pay. Stay away I say!!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I would not recommend this company. They processed my light bill multiple times and made me wait 30 days to return the extra processed payments. Their website is very inconvenient and when I called to request a refund they stated that their website could of been not working properly which is why the payments were processed extra. Horrible company!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I signed up with Ambit because my apartment told me to sign with them. I should have pressed or looked into more options because I signed with a terribly expensive plan. The customer service is terrible. I would highly recommend another energy company like Direct Energy - my new service provider who has reasonable prices and GOOD customer service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have used this company since 2012. I didn't renew the notice since I had never received the renewal notice. So I was automatically billed at a monthly rate for many years and I had paid extra thousand of dollars. The company tried to expand their coverage and never provided customer services.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was with Ambit Energy for 6 months. Their customer service is terrible! Yesterday I was on the phone for 58 min. The first 40 were wasted on hold waiting for a live person to answer my billing question. Once I got a live person lets just say that English is not their first language. They are relentless with their payment schedule. There is no leniency with their short due dates. Typically I pay my bill within a week of receiving it. EVERY month I got late charge and threat of having my services disconnected.

After this last experience with wasting an hour to get a simple question answered I have changed providers. I was able to sign up for service with a new provider in only about 5 minutes and getting a better rate. While I am writing this review I am again on hold waiting for a live person to disconnect my service and make sure they close the account. I've been on hold another 45 min.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

It was very simple to switch to Ambit Energy as my supplier. They offer lower rates than my provider National Grid which is why I chose them. People need to do their research on energy deregulation and the benefits you can gain by switching to Ambit Energy. I live in the Massachusetts which the energy market is different for every state that Ambit services. There's no sign up cost, no contracts and no cancellation fees. I've been with Ambit for about a year now and I've saved $500 so far. Looking forward to more future savings.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Just call customer service at any time of the day and see how long they keep you waiting. Don't press new account, press something like billing or representative, you will be waiting at least 45 minutes. Then they will give you an option "press 1 for a callback," please do it! You will never receive that callback. They charged us from the wrong meter, I know it was CenterPoints fault because they gave them the wrong meter. But now, after 2 months, the issue was corrected by me, my wife and Centerpoint, still, they keep saying that there was no problem at all and we never overpaid (when clearly they have the wrong meter number on our bill).

If you want to pay $70 extra on your bill every month, have the worst customer service in the world, please use Ambit. We are already looking for another electricity provider. I will be more than happy to pay $190 cancellation fee just to get this awful company out our lives once and for all. This company may work for you if you work for them and you make people buy their service just so you can get money or credit back from your bill. But if you are just a customer, be ready for the worst experience of your life with customer service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have never had electricity bills like this. One person, very frugal. Senior citizen/Veteran... living on social security and disability... called to say I would be late paying, they ok'D my delay. I paid my bill which included a 60 dollar reconnect fee... and two hours later... they turned off my electricity. I never have lights on if I am not in the room, do maybe three loads of laundry per week, frequently gone for two to three weeks at a time, keep the ac 76-78. My last bill was 220 dollars before the 60 dollar add-on... should never have left TXU. There is no flexibility with this company!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have used Ambit Energy for almost 3 years. I never have any issue with renewed and the rate they give is normally cheaper than all other ESCO, I don't understand those comments below. There is always needed renewing for fix rate, if not then you will switch to the variable rate automatically. Common sense people! You always need to renew no matter what company you used.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I was paying a 13 kwh with my previous company... Amazingly with Ambit I'm paying 9.2 kwh and somehow my bills are higher with Ambit. After comparing a few bills with similar usage same months Ambit is still higher. I did ask if there are any hidden fees, or fees outside of the normal taxes before signing with them was assured no by the sales rep, and direct Ambit employees. They told me that because of Oncor raising their fees was the reason I saw the increase... I asked what date did this take effect, I was told September... Every example I looked at for the higher bill was before September. Stay away from Ambit, they have extra fees probably why they offer the deceivingly low rates. And it's 199 dollars to break your contract.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Wow! These reviews! I've been with Ambit at least 6 yrs and for those yrs, summer/Winter my bill has been consistent, give or take a (few) dollars. This is why I stayed. Which for Me is a plus, never experienced extreme bills. Always have gotten letters of renewal, with ample enough time to renew. I've never had to Ask for extension, so I wouldn't be able to share on that, however I had to call Ambit a Couple of days ago, and I did hold for 45 mins Way too long. The representative was helpful, As well as professional!

Yes I too, feel that being charge $10, for not using a 1000 watts Is totally wrong. I feel punished, and yes it contradicts, the savings they advertise! But life is what it is! All light companies, play part in some kind of deceitfulness! The world is built on greed! And where (customers are the prey!) Check out your bills and see center point charges!!! My advice find the lowest monetarily greedy, Company and go for the ride!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have been with Ambit Energy as my 3rd party supplier for 3 years! At first we received a massive discounted rate and saved $96 our first month! No problem renewing! ALSO, have received FREE ENERGY for since April 2015! It has saved us $3500.00 so far!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I've used Ambit for a few years now. During certain months of the years, my bill is the lowest its ever been. However, there are a few ways in which they make their money back. The summer bills are at least three times as high as your average the rest of the year. They will send you notices of near late payments, but won't notify you of disconnects AFTER you've spoken with them about customer service needs. Then they charge ridiculous reconnect and redeposit fees.

Regarding service, they don't do a good job of helping you understand when your plan comes to an end, and you're automatically transferred to a no contract "plan" with a much higher price plans. If there's a power outage, you can only get help during certain hours of the day during weekdays only. My customer service conversations haven't been bad, but I have to contact them too often. This should be more simple. Overall, I'm not happy with Ambit and am actively looking for a better company.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Amibt Energy claims to save you money on your electric - and they will for a short time. They will mail you a postcard that looks like a advertisement to tell you - call to lock in your rate. If you do not see this postcard - many do not - they will charge your triple what Com Ed will charge. Your small saving is sucked up and you are billed more than you ever saved. Then they tell you it will take two bill cycles to switch you back. They are screwing people everywhere and getting away with it. RUN from this company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I switched to Ambit a few years ago, and like everyone else was swayed by the cheap rate... that was only good for 6 months. More and more rates rose and they seemed to dream up more and more fees. $2.50 to make a payment anyway other than the old stamp and envelope method. Then you get penalized $9.99 for not using enough electricity... wth? Aren't we supposed to be conserving energy?

The final straw is the lack of customer service. First of all, you cannot reach a rep. You have to wait upwards of half an hour or more to speak to someone. That someone may have about as much knowledge as the kid's pet hedgehog, and you get to start the process over since you hung up more confused. The chat has you hold for 15 minutes and when you are edging to the 2 minute mark to get assistance, they encounter an error.

I signed up for average billing in May, to ease the sting of high Summer bills. When I placed that order, I was never informed that it would not start right away. So when the June bill came, I called to ask what was up. I was assured repeatedly it would take place on the next bill. Come July bill, I open the bill, expecting to see my agreed $120 and the bill was instead $400!! Now, I have called and still not gotten answers. I even talked with a manager who assured me that he would personally call me back by 4:30 p.m. that day, and never did. That was 3 weeks ago. I have faxed customer service, and still no resolution. This is bait and switch at it's best, with a side of incompetence. I don't care if they are going to try to charge me a cancellation fee. They can stick it. There have been several class action suits against Ambit because they are crooks, and I am certain there will be more.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

BEWARE! You sign up at an introductory rate and then they supposedly send you a notice (NEVER RECEIVED) and an email (ALSO NEVER RECEIVED) and when you don't respond they enter you into a variable month-to-month rate which is over double the rates of all other carriers. I even put a reminder on my calendar to check the energy rates which I did. The rates I saw online were still low so I stayed put. I did NOT know that they would change the plan that I was in and move me to this outrageously expensive plan. RIDICULOUS!

I have now spent over $500 more in just a few months for energy. DO NOT GO WITH THIS Third Party. They are terrible. There are other reviews here that say their customer service is good. I am not sure about that, what I am sure about is that you will be on hold for 15 - 30 minutes before someone will even speak with you. It's unreal. Also, they have NO ability to help you with the situation retroactively. There is no way they aren't doing this on purpose - this is a complete scam to sucker you into paying unbelievably high rates.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I went online while chatting with an agent to make a payment. I accidentally entered the wrong payment amount and within minutes I notified Ambit customer service to see if they could stop the ach payment I did and they said no. That it would be a credit on my account but I could request a refund once the payment has cleared. Well the money cleared my account and so, I requested that the credit on the account be refunded back to me and they are telling me it will take 20-30 days to receive a credit; however if my bill generates within that timeframe then my credit request would be rejected. So, I told them that the money was meant for this account and if my due date isn't until mid month of August then they shouldn't keep my money. They apologize and said that's their policy.

I'm highly pissed off and once my contract is up I will not renew. I understand that this was my error but I notified them within minutes of submitting the payment and now they are telling me I can't get my money back if I have a balance due for next month. This BS!!! They don't care about their loyal customers. They only care about making money!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I've been with them for 3 years and it has gotten progressively worse! My bill is now in the $300s and whenever I call they can never give me any details or reasons. I made a payment with the wrong account and realized it 10 minutes later so I called trying to cancel the payment and of course they can't do it and I'm going to get a $25 fee. I made the mistake of renewing my contract and DESPERATELY want to get out of it but they're going to charge me $300 to break it. Please please please just go with another company, I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with this company.

Original review: July 10, 2018

All work all day!! Have small kids and make sure everything is off and also put the thermostat at the temp. THEY (Ambit Energy) said to for some odd reason my bill was 300.00!!! I ask how? Why? They don’t know...they not sure. I asked the rep I needed details 'cause I don’t understand. THEY DON'T KNOW!! I flipped out!!! Right at this moment I’m have to switch 'cause this do not make sense at all!!! I’m so mad I’m shaking!! Don't get Ambit. They charge you and cannot explain NOTHING!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!! My apartment management set me up with them. So I called to set my deposit and setup autopay MONTHS AGO and their autopay never worked. I kept having overdue bills and then paying them by phone. I have very good credit and have never had difficulty paying bills before but these guys have the worst customer service. They also don't contact you to let you know an autopayment didn't go through. They have my email- I know because they send me emails for advertisements and they know my phone number but I received zero calls to let me know they were going to shut off my power.

As a result of their lack of communication, they shut off my power and I had to throw out all of the food in my freezer and sleep in the dark because I randomly had no power. Then they charged a $15 cancellation fee, $40 power reinstatement fee and a $40 overdue fee. All for a billing issue that I didn't know I had. Their customer service is a joke. To put this in perspective, I have 20 other autopay bills and I have never been late on any of the payments. But these guys just shut off my power without a call or email and I have no way to reinstate it before the morning. Their lack of communication and customer service just cost me $250 in fees and lost food. RUN!!!

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout