2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.71/5

Ambit Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: June 29, 2020

I am in Alberta Canada and having been using Ambit Energy since Nov 2016. There has been significant cost savings over time. Saving money and being able to earn FREE energy supply has led me to introducing to all my family and friends. There are no hidden costs or transaction fees.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I switched to Ambit Energy for gas and power last year. I have had great service and my bills are way cheaper than before I knew I had a choice of providers. I also like the fact that with referrals I can get Free Energy from their promotion.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I can't believe I just had to fill out an online application and now I pay less money on each gas and electric bill. No sign-up fee. It's just a lower energy rate (and lower admin fee) for the same gas and electricity I was getting before (same supplier). Good website for checking usage and billing history, too. I'm recommending it to my friends now.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Well I’ve had Ambit since 2009 and qualified for their free energy program. I get a check from them every month for around $120.00 to 150.00 per month just for being a customer and since I referred 15 people I qualified for the free energy program. Plus no cancellation fee or contract. I do have to renew every 12 months or my rate will go to a variable and it’s a lot higher than the fixed. But I do get a letter letting me know I need to call in and renew my service. I understand maybe people have had their own experience. But for the past 10 years I’ve been able to put back 14,000 dollars. I was able to invest that in bitcoin and it changed my life. Thanks Ambit.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Did not know that there are transaction fee that charged monthly on my power and gas bill that I do not have to pay. After I switched to Ambit, I carefully monitored my bill and I saved over $150 a year. I had been paying $150 for the same service, same product every year... Thanks to Ambit.

Original review: June 17, 2020

After being a new customer and trying to have a better understanding of my bill and charges. I spoke to two Ambit employees, one which was talking over me and giving me no actual explanation of what I was asking or seeking to understand. Second was a supervisor named Kaddim - both which were not good at explaining and or clarifying anything about my bill. I simply asked why would they no mention extra fees and charges when you a new customer calls to join your services. I was told, "Well it was in your contract" so basically you are wrongly informed and/or misled into something and then they tell you, "Well it was in your contract" which is something that is sent after you have signed up with them.

Also told that the consultants are not the same as Ambit energy agents - so when you google and search Ambit - make sure to ask to speak directly to an Ambit agent or you will speak to a consultant which is not the same? Let's just say that after the call I was left with major confusion and mind blown. I will definitely cancel my account and never recommend Ambit to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2020

*Do not use Ambit Energy. Using their marketing representatives Ambit pitch what it considers low rate of 8 or 9 cents per kw to potential customers, but when the bill shows up Ambit uses algebraic formulas to compute your consumption. Ambit energy sent me extremely high bills every month. When customer service is contacted, they all respond like programmed robots. They gave me the excuse that my bill is high because I do not have auto pay.

This April, I tried to pay my bill online as I usually do every month, but the site was down for about two days. I eventually contacted them by phone to pay the bill with my debit card, Ambit customer service insisted that an additional charge of $2.50 for card, and $10 for late payment will be added to my bill. While the rep agreed that the website was down, he refused to waive those charges. I can't wait to switch when term expires in August. Ambit should not serve the public...

Original review: May 14, 2020

Due to Ambit Energy’s own negligent, they charged me late fees during COVID 19 pandemic. When it is against the State and Federal law. They don’t care for their customers and it’s all about the money $ for them. If you have been charged late fees during COVID 19 Pandemic, file a class action lawsuit, because they take advantage of seniors and people who make automatic payments. This company needs to be prosecuted for charging late fees during COVID 19!

Original review: April 28, 2020

I’ve probably been with Ambit for a decade now and I’ve never had a problem. For the last couple of weeks I get an error message when trying to access my account to renew my service next month. My auto pay debited my account on 4/13. Because I’m not working due to Covid, my fiancé saw the statement on the counter (it had the 800 number I was going to call since their website is down) and thought he’d help me by paying the bill. Ambit charged him FOUR times and we are now overpaid by $520. When I called today, the agent blamed my fiancé saying he hit the button too many times and said 20-30 days for a refund. I was at the grocery store and have no idea how he got on the website to begin with but I’m pretty sure it was a website issue.

When I tried to get on today, I got another network error (see attached). The agent today also blamed people working at home for bogging down the bandwidth. Again, it’s been a network error and not my fault that their servers are ill equipped. The representative of Ambit today took no accountability on their part other than to offer a refund in TWENTY to THIRTY days, which she said was an exception to the rule. At least two of those erroneous charges put my fiancé in the negative and the bank will charge around $60 for overdraft fees. The Ambit agent made no attempt to make that right. I thought others should see how their customer service works these days, so I’m posting here, my FB page, Yelp and Google reviews. For the record the agent and I were friendly enough. I don’t blame her, but I do hold Ambit accountable for lack of service, even theft at this point since they’re holding our money. My contract expires May 12 and I will not renew.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Ambit Energy is an excellent company. They saved us $300/year on two separate properties power and gas bills. Fantastic service and friendly consultants. I would highly recommend Ambit Energy to anyone looking to save money of their power and gas.

Ambit Energy author review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team