3.56/5
Need a utility company?

Last updated: April 13, 2018

462 Ambit Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 13, 2018

Ambit Energy issued me a check was declined. Buy two check cashing place and stupid bum me DID say, "Ok I will take it to the bank" and wooo. That cost me $35.00 Ambit Energy/Ambit marketing LLC. Don't take their checks or you could get a declined notice and charged or charges from your bank. I called at approximately 12:15 pm today the number on the check and did leave a message but as of 11:29 pm they have yet called me. I have read nothing good other than it's bad. Ambit you're the people that agreed to give me the money and you can't even cash the check or call me back.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We love Ambit! Not only was our rate reduced immediately, our budget was recalculated to a lower amount, but they now send us a check! No other energy company has paid me for using their services. We have saved our friends and family money too by referring them. I would recommend to anyone!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I hated this company after just 3 months and stayed because they charge you $199 for early termination. So, after I found another apartment, I got quoted a much better plan with Gexa and thought I'd call to make the switch. After talking to a retention sales rep, they "convinced" me to stay for a similar plan and that I would avoid being charged a disconnect fee. Then I go to pay my bill and they sure enough added $199 for early termination. My electricity was still on and I stayed with them. Paying that would defeat the purpose! This company is a joke!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Ambit Energy is a wonderful company, I have been a customer for two and a half years. Never had a problem with them. I have become a consultant with them and the experience has been great! The company has great integrity. Well lets face it there's always something wrong with every company or business a little and people will get wet behind the ears cause it didn't go their way. But overall Ambit is a great company. They do save you a little bit of money. And they do care.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I've been using Ambit Energy for two years. I started with Ambit in 2016. The rule is after a year on your contract you would have to renew it into the plan you have always been in. What they didn't tell me is if they send a notice to renew and it is not caught on time, they will automatically renew you into their highest variable rate without notice. So, I received my electricity bill and my bill went from $97.00 to $285.00 for one month! After I called to discuss this with Ambit, they told me they have the right to change the plan over at their discretion after a year has passed. Here is the sneaky part, they will change over to the highest rated plan because they told me that most people don't want to mess around with renewing their contracts. I am furious about this.

This is a SCAM and it is written all over the program. They absolutely should not enroll you in the most expensive plan there is for THEIR benefit. They are making thousands and thousands of dollars doing this. There is no person in their right mind who would want Ambit to move them into a higher cost plan that quadruples! The frustrating part is I don't know who to complain to and I'm switching from Ambit immediately. I don't know if I have any way to get a refund. Of course if I don't pay it, ComEd will disconnect me. So they have me against a wall with their sneaky business practices. Perhaps the Attorney General's office can help. I just don't know. And they lured me in with their travel reward program, which has now abruptly ended. I WOULD NOT USE AMBIT AND ANYONE WHO READS THIS, PLEASE DO NOT CHOOSE AMBIT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I been went to Ambit Energy since 2010 but from last year their services very bad, they always sending statement to my house after or only 1 or 2 days before your due day. When I called to customer services they told me because I'm late for my payment so I need paying for $125 for deposit until my contract expired they will give that back on my bill but when my contract almost expire I call and ask about that. The guy told me I have to stay with Ambit 9 more months if I want my money back. Huh look like they kidding on me. Well I don't need money back and don't need to stay with them no more. You have be careful when you want or planning change your services to this company.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have signed up for electricity service with Ambit Energy over the phone. I was presented with a possibility of paying a low rate of 8.5 cents per kWh if I sign up for a year as well as for paperless billing and automatic payment. Later, I was redirected to an automatic system that finalized the process. I have specifically asked the agent about any additional (or hidden) fees that may increase my effective rate and was told that there are none. However, since then, every month I was charged an additional fee of $9.99 because my electricity usage was below 1000 kWh. This fee significantly raised the effective rate that I was paying to up to 17.3 cents per kWh (more than double).

I feel that I was purposely misled by the Ambit Energy's representative. I find that the very small discount they gave for paperless billing and automatic payment were part of the scheme, as it made sure that I did not notice the extra fee immediately. I tried multiple times to contact them to resolve the issue, but was not successful as they refuse to waive the fee or cancel my service without a penalty.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I didn't recommend to people for Ambit Energy, I experience worst in this services and have problems with my billing. Every month they increase price for services. I also experience worst customer services. Never use this services. If you really want to save money, use another energy provider.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Tried to save money on electric bill and chose Ambit as the provider due to their favorable rate. Due to the process of having to verify the change, I opened account in my name. I asked the representative if that would be a problem as our electric bill with Eversource was in my husband's name. She assured me that there would be no problem. Today I receive a call saying Eversource rejected the change due to the fact Ambit was not in my husband's name. Lost out on a good rate and they obviously have no idea what they are doing. All they could say was, "Oh sorry..." Not helpful...

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have been an Ambit customer for more than four years, and I still have people tell me it’s a scam because of how they market their service. People are extremely skeptical, which I understand, but to say it’s a scam is just being flat out lazy! They don’t always have the cheapest rates, but they are very competitive. But because people have the opportunity to receive free electricity and get paid simply by referring people, that beats everyone else! Their customer service is AMAZING as well.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I forgot to renew this year to the lower rate plan and was charged approx. an extra $50 per month due to the very high rate plan that they put you in by default. That rate was about 75% higher than what JCPL was charging. To me that is very shady and I dropped them immediately.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Anyone who complains about their rates getting raised without them knowing did not read all of the terms and conditions. It's very simple - you choose your rate for the length of the term you want (I always choose the lowest rates!) and when it's time to renew, Ambit sends you a letter WELL in advance so that you can choose your next plan and still save money over National Grid. As a responsible human being, I always set a reminder on my phone about one month ahead of time to ensure I don't forget to change my plan. Couldn't be easier, and always cheaper than National Grid!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I've been a customer for just under 3 years and have been earning Free Electricity for most of that. I love the fact that by helping 15 of my friends and family once allows them to save each month and by helping them my Free Electricity check comes each month in the form of a tax free rebate check! Ambit has always been cheaper than CMP (Central Maine Power) so I have no worries that I'm going to pay more. It took me about two minutes to become a customer and didn't cost anything.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I've been a customer of Ambit for 18 months now. Rates are lower, and I even received a refund check at the end of the first year for the guaranteed rate they promised. I enrolled my condo association as well and we are all saving money!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

This company provides top notch customer service, as seen with the 12 JD Power Awards they have won. They quickly resolve all problems and I have saved for the 7 years I have been with them, as well as earning free energy for my home and for our church!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

It's about time that a company would not only follow through with what they say they'll do, by helping everyday people save money every single month on a bill we all HAVE to pay, but also help local food banks in my community? Ambit is amazing. There are no income guidelines to get the savings, just being in their market with an electric or natural gas account is enough. Plus the rewards points just for paying your electric bill?! Yes please! We mom saved hundreds of dollars last year, and we have ALMOST earned FREE ENERGY! Wow! I've never heard of a company that thanks me for my support by giving their service for free. Every month. Imagine it. Free Energy. No strings. The program is very clear. Follow the program and you get free electric or natural gas supply for free every month.

They don't cut corners or provide gimmicks. They want customers to WANT to be customers, rather than the competition who traps people into staying with termination fees and other fees, not to mention higher prices. Ambit also encourages all employees and customers to help with local food banks, in our own communities. Ambit Cares.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My wife and I have been customers of Ambit Energy for over 3 years and enjoyed saving money every month. We renew our plan with them every year quickly and easily. When we learned that we could pay less for a bill we had to pay and there was no change to our buying habits, it was a no brainer. It was so great that we took advantage of their customer referral program. After referring our friends to Ambit Energy we started getting our supply for free! The last twelve months we saved almost $800 in our supply cost. That money has made a huge difference for our family of five! Thank you Ambit Energy for being better than we expected!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This company stands behind their business model. They said that if I get 15 customers to join under me as a customer I would get free gas and electricity equal to the supply portion of my bill. I did and now every month I receive a tax free rebate check for my gas and one for electricity. This is awesome to get free money and I also helped some good friends save money on their utilities.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Ambit Energy helped me save a lot on my electric bill!! Best part is, as a customer, I also receive a monthly rebate check at an average of $70 per month just for referring others to this great service! The consultant who signed me up was very friendly and very helpful. The customer support staff is always super responsive and helpful. I've never felt like I'm just a number when I contact anyone at Ambit!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

It's simple, I signed up for Ambit Energy, electric, as my condo is 100% electric, nothing changed except my electric bill dropped. Good enough!! I'm on my own personal budget plan and this works well as I'm able to pay more than the bill indicates to save even more through the coming Chicago winter.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I switched after years of putting up with National Grid's rate increases in RI. Great company, lower rates, no penalty to switch and I can get out and go to a lower rate in the spring without paying a penalty. Great customer service too! Why would anyone stay with National Grid and pay more? The RI Lt. Governor told the media a few weeks ago the only way to save money on your electric bill in RI is to switch out of National Grid and choose another energy provider. Ambit has no fees or penalties if I leave early too. This was simple. So glad I switched!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Ambit energy helped me save a lot on my bill. Also I received a promised hotel stay for signing up. Also the consultant who signed me up was very friendly and very helpful. And she helped me understand what I was signing up for.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Ambit is a great company. I am shocked to read all these false reviews of people who are upset because they didn't get it their way. Ambit will not raise your rate without notifying you. When it's time to renew they mail you 2 letter email you and call you! Now it's up to you to be responsible and handle that! If you get placed on the 17kwh rate it's not because you "pay late". It's because you get disconnected all the time!!! And clearly most companies do not want those customers who don't pay because they run a higher risk of leaving unpaid balances. Also any company is going to charge you for a reconnection and disconnection.

You are also advised again through mail and calls of when you are due to avoid the disconnection. The letter will also provide you with the fees and will provide you with the plan that you will be switched to if you don't pay! Again, it's your responsibility to read what you get in the mail! I pay my bills on time and when I can't Ambit always works with my payment date. People just need to grow up and be responsible adults and stop blaming others for their poor actions!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been an Ambit customer for about 6 months now. Their rate has been lower than NIPSCO. I am happy to save a few dollars on my utility bill since I have two kids. I can only use them for natural gas and not for electricity yet. Hopefully soon the state of Indiana will let us switch our electric also! NIPSCO has high electric rates and we would love to switch our electric to Ambit also. Also, please go to Michigan, Ambit!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have been a customer of Ambit Energy for over a year. I do receive free energy for my 15 referrals. The rates are great. Some months the are equal to our local provider but overall I have saved an average of 12%. Getting free energy makes it much more than a savings of 12%. I see complaints on the site about having to renew your plan. It is very simple. All I have to do is log into my customer account and click view my plan and change it. In fact I can change from one fixed rate to another with no termination fee (state of Indiana). My consultant also stays on top of rates, makes sure that I am getting the best possible rate. I don't think NIPSCO has ever watched my back as a customer. Consultants at Ambit Energy do watch out for their customers!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We signed up with Ambit Energy for solar and was very happy with the service they provided. We spoke to our person who took our information and referred us to a specialist. They gave us all the information we needed to help make our decision. The price for the program was excellent and we are saving 100's of dollars every month and would highly recommend this to all of our friends.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I have been a customer, for Ambit Energy with my husband Chris ** and we love their service. We was paying 280 and now 131.70. We have been with Ambit for 6 months, and plan on signing another, 6 month term with them. If you have not signed up with Ambit Energy, I and my husband highly recommend this free company with no contract fees and no sign up fees. 100% just great. Customer service is 99.9% and I know I can trust if they can't answer my questions, they will find someone who can... Go Ambit Energy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am a former customer of Ambit Energy and I would recommend them to anyone asking. Their price was reasonable and it never went up without my being advised in advance of an increase. And they always sent a notice that my contract renewal was ready so I would not be charged more than I already was charged. I was never without power for any significant amount of time and when I had a problem they fixed it promptly.

They always do what they say they will do and they are always on top of any problems you might encounter with your power. Also I can always understand what their representatives in the office are saying. I like everything about them. I do not think there is anything you could dislike about them because they are always up front about everything. There is always someone to answer the phone when you call about a problem. They are quick to respond to any problem or request that you might have or that you encounter.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The experience with Ambit Energy is just like with any other energy provider I used to have. Pretty normal and standard there. But they have superb customer service which is outstanding and that is what I like the most. Nothing else will beat that. They're very helpful and responsive. You get your problem taken care of right away and follow-up. I wish all other companies can learn from this. The one thing I dislike the company is their cost. It’s a bit higher than most of the providers in the market. I wish they can get more competitive rate in the future. Still, I would recommend this company to my friends.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

They are a stable company and setting up the account was no trouble. As a utilities provider the service has been reliable. It has been consistent and comfortable. I haven't had any issues but I feel certain that I would get the response I needed if that occurred. I use gas but not as much as electricity so I almost forget it's there. I have a heater in the main bathroom that uses gas but with the milder winters we've had I seldom need to set the pilot light. But I would not like a rate hike nor to be isolated and ignored in a power outage. If I felt Ambit was backed up with callers I would be patient.

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout