Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.53/5

Ambit Energy Reviews

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I can't believe I just had to fill out an online application and now I pay less money on each gas and electric bill. No sign-up fee. It's just a lower energy rate (and lower admin fee) for the same gas and electricity I was getting before (same supplier). Good website for checking usage and billing history, too. I'm recommending it to my friends now.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Well I’ve had Ambit since 2009 and qualified for their free energy program. I get a check from them every month for around $120.00 to 150.00 per month just for being a customer and since I referred 15 people I qualified for the free energy program. Plus no cancellation fee or contract. I do have to renew every 12 months or my rate will go to a variable and it’s a lot higher than the fixed. But I do get a letter letting me know I need to call in and renew my service. I understand maybe people have had their own experience. But for the past 10 years I’ve been able to put back 14,000 dollars. I was able to invest that in bitcoin and it changed my life. Thanks Ambit.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Did not know that there are transaction fee that charged monthly on my power and gas bill that I do not have to pay. After I switched to Ambit, I carefully monitored my bill and I saved over $150 a year. I had been paying $150 for the same service, same product every year... Thanks to Ambit.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We Live in Edmonton Albert Canada. We have been using Ambit Energy Canada since May 2018. We are having a great experience with Ambit Energy Canada. We are happy with the services for both electricity and natural gas supply. We have no issues with Ambit Energy Canada nor customer service. The online system is easy and friendly. The rate is very competitive. Our family members, friends, and business associates are happy saving money with both of the services. We thank you Ambit Energy Canada finally supply both electricity and natural gas to our city.

Kenny

Edmonton, AB. Canada

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been a Customer & Consultant with Ambit Energy since 2016. They have had great rates and any issues that have come up have been resolved. 90% of the people I have dealt with have been friendly and helpful, which is more than I can say for some other establishments.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: March 16, 2020

It is a scam. When I cancel my service because of bad customer service, they charged me twice a normal price. For one day usage I paid 30$ after they cancelled my service. Never use it. You will regret.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I started using Ambit Energy in 2017. When I moved to a new apartment I transferred services in 2018 and had a contract till 2019. They cancelled my plan without prior notice and started billing higher than normal. My bill was always 170 and up for a 2 bedroom apartment. I found out when I called to cancel my services. I had just one email for my last bill which I couldn't access and then next notice was from a collection agency for a bill of $40 when I had paid $170 and more just 5 days back. They need to do better and communicate with their customers.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I don't normally write things like this. I live in Houston TX and have been using Ambit for 5 yrs without event. The price was fair but not the cheapest but I usually am loyal to companies that are fair and don't give me aggravation (no solicitation etc). However, out of the blue my power bill tripled in one month from approx. 200/mo to 600 just for August!! To my surprise I thought this was a meter issue or mistake... But just to find out they tripled the rate... due to a loophole in the contract I signed for that year.

They sent a notice to my house stating an usually hot August (you kidding me... This is Houston. It's always hot.) AND I RECEIVED THIS LETTER 1 DAY before getting my bill!! Ridiculous and unscrupulous. So in my disgust I cancelled my contract and they continued to bill me for cancellation fee... Total bill owed to this ** company was 1033 for 1 month of summer power which is normally 200-250. I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone and will go out of my way to tell people not to use them. If I could give them a negative star rating I would.... even with the previous 5yr of experience.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I recently moved to TX, and they called me and asked me sign up for Electricity. I didn't know I had choice of selecting others. They didn't even explain all plans. Just had me signed up for the plan that they get most money. I live in an apartment, bill amount going up every month. When I called they said it is based on usage. The usage is same all along. Suddenly I received a bill of $270 for one month. Come on. $270 electricity bill for an apartment (1500 SQFT)? When I called them they said you can switch to different plan, but I have to pay cancellation fee of $200. I asked, "I am not changing the company just the plan," they replied, "Yes, as long as you switch the plan you have to pay the cancellation." I had no choice of terminating the service completely with them. Please.. Please.. Do not get trapped by this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

My bank account was charged twice for a payment and I was told I have to wait 25-30 business days for a refund! Are you SERIOUS! Unfortunately Ambit Energy doesn't consider the hardships that the customer has to face behind their mistakes.

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team