2.53/5
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

473 Ambit Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have been with Ambit Energy as my 3rd party supplier for 3 years! At first we received a massive discounted rate and saved $96 our first month! No problem renewing! ALSO, have received FREE ENERGY for since April 2015! It has saved us $3500.00 so far!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Amibt Energy claims to save you money on your electric - and they will for a short time. They will mail you a postcard that looks like a advertisement to tell you - call to lock in your rate. If you do not see this postcard - many do not - they will charge your triple what Com Ed will charge. Your small saving is sucked up and you are billed more than you ever saved. Then they tell you it will take two bill cycles to switch you back. They are screwing people everywhere and getting away with it. RUN from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I switched to Ambit a few years ago, and like everyone else was swayed by the cheap rate... that was only good for 6 months. More and more rates rose and they seemed to dream up more and more fees. $2.50 to make a payment anyway other than the old stamp and envelope method. Then you get penalized $9.99 for not using enough electricity... wth? Aren't we supposed to be conserving energy?

The final straw is the lack of customer service. First of all, you cannot reach a rep. You have to wait upwards of half an hour or more to speak to someone. That someone may have about as much knowledge as the kid's pet hedgehog, and you get to start the process over since you hung up more confused. The chat has you hold for 15 minutes and when you are edging to the 2 minute mark to get assistance, they encounter an error.

I signed up for average billing in May, to ease the sting of high Summer bills. When I placed that order, I was never informed that it would not start right away. So when the June bill came, I called to ask what was up. I was assured repeatedly it would take place on the next bill. Come July bill, I open the bill, expecting to see my agreed $120 and the bill was instead $400!! Now, I have called and still not gotten answers. I even talked with a manager who assured me that he would personally call me back by 4:30 p.m. that day, and never did. That was 3 weeks ago. I have faxed customer service, and still no resolution. This is bait and switch at it's best, with a side of incompetence. I don't care if they are going to try to charge me a cancellation fee. They can stick it. There have been several class action suits against Ambit because they are crooks, and I am certain there will be more.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

BEWARE! You sign up at an introductory rate and then they supposedly send you a notice (NEVER RECEIVED) and an email (ALSO NEVER RECEIVED) and when you don't respond they enter you into a variable month-to-month rate which is over double the rates of all other carriers. I even put a reminder on my calendar to check the energy rates which I did. The rates I saw online were still low so I stayed put. I did NOT know that they would change the plan that I was in and move me to this outrageously expensive plan. RIDICULOUS!

I have now spent over $500 more in just a few months for energy. DO NOT GO WITH THIS Third Party. They are terrible. There are other reviews here that say their customer service is good. I am not sure about that, what I am sure about is that you will be on hold for 15 - 30 minutes before someone will even speak with you. It's unreal. Also, they have NO ability to help you with the situation retroactively. There is no way they aren't doing this on purpose - this is a complete scam to sucker you into paying unbelievably high rates.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I went online while chatting with an agent to make a payment. I accidentally entered the wrong payment amount and within minutes I notified Ambit customer service to see if they could stop the ach payment I did and they said no. That it would be a credit on my account but I could request a refund once the payment has cleared. Well the money cleared my account and so, I requested that the credit on the account be refunded back to me and they are telling me it will take 20-30 days to receive a credit; however if my bill generates within that timeframe then my credit request would be rejected. So, I told them that the money was meant for this account and if my due date isn't until mid month of August then they shouldn't keep my money. They apologize and said that's their policy.

I'm highly pissed off and once my contract is up I will not renew. I understand that this was my error but I notified them within minutes of submitting the payment and now they are telling me I can't get my money back if I have a balance due for next month. This BS!!! They don't care about their loyal customers. They only care about making money!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: July 20, 2018

I've been with them for 3 years and it has gotten progressively worse! My bill is now in the $300s and whenever I call they can never give me any details or reasons. I made a payment with the wrong account and realized it 10 minutes later so I called trying to cancel the payment and of course they can't do it and I'm going to get a $25 fee. I made the mistake of renewing my contract and DESPERATELY want to get out of it but they're going to charge me $300 to break it. Please please please just go with another company, I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with this company.

Original review: July 10, 2018

All work all day!! Have small kids and make sure everything is off and also put the thermostat at the temp. THEY (Ambit Energy) said to for some odd reason my bill was 300.00!!! I ask how? Why? They don’t know...they not sure. I asked the rep I needed details 'cause I don’t understand. THEY DON'T KNOW!! I flipped out!!! Right at this moment I’m have to switch 'cause this do not make sense at all!!! I’m so mad I’m shaking!! Don't get Ambit. They charge you and cannot explain NOTHING!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!! My apartment management set me up with them. So I called to set my deposit and setup autopay MONTHS AGO and their autopay never worked. I kept having overdue bills and then paying them by phone. I have very good credit and have never had difficulty paying bills before but these guys have the worst customer service. They also don't contact you to let you know an autopayment didn't go through. They have my email- I know because they send me emails for advertisements and they know my phone number but I received zero calls to let me know they were going to shut off my power.

As a result of their lack of communication, they shut off my power and I had to throw out all of the food in my freezer and sleep in the dark because I randomly had no power. Then they charged a $15 cancellation fee, $40 power reinstatement fee and a $40 overdue fee. All for a billing issue that I didn't know I had. Their customer service is a joke. To put this in perspective, I have 20 other autopay bills and I have never been late on any of the payments. But these guys just shut off my power without a call or email and I have no way to reinstate it before the morning. Their lack of communication and customer service just cost me $250 in fees and lost food. RUN!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have never had as many problems with an electric company as this one. I am not a consultant of this company, I am only a customer. Let me begin by saying, that if you want to have an account with this company a representative cannot have you apply through a computer that you can review the information with. The problem with this is that if the representative gets your information wrong and has the address for the wrong apartment YOU as the customer has the pay any electricity used by the owner or inhabitants of said wrong location. Second, to get this situation fixed you will spend at least 30 minutes on the phone. I know because this situation happen to me.

Third, you will not have a set date when you need to pay your bill. Fourth, if you have any late fees (even if you weren't informed your card didn't process correctly) you are charged 25$. Also if you choose to make any payments online with a debit card (even if you tried multiple times with an account number and failed) you will be charged 2.50$. Every month I have had to spend at least an hour on the phone with this company. I'm sick of it. I would NEVER EVER EVER recommend them to anyone!

Original review: June 3, 2018

My bill went down, I was a bit confused about the energy bill breakdown but then called and was explained about supply and delivery charges. My taxes went down a lot also and some fees were removed.

Original review: June 1, 2018

WORST 3rd party energy company is this call Ambit Energy. Customer service are FULL of BS. Their rate is never correct. Up and down like stock market every days and all like of charges. I can get my bill from any other company for around $400 a month. But when I used them, it up to $700+ a month. And you ask them why. They all can tell you is, "Rate will be change every day. I cannot do anything for you." WTH. DON'T USE THEM IF YOU CAN. IF NOT... GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Ambit Energy issued me a check was declined. Buy two check cashing place and stupid bum me DID say, "Ok I will take it to the bank" and wooo. That cost me $35.00 Ambit Energy/Ambit marketing LLC. Don't take their checks or you could get a declined notice and charged or charges from your bank. I called at approximately 12:15 pm today the number on the check and did leave a message but as of 11:29 pm they have yet called me. I have read nothing good other than it's bad. Ambit you're the people that agreed to give me the money and you can't even cash the check or call me back.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We love Ambit! Not only was our rate reduced immediately, our budget was recalculated to a lower amount, but they now send us a check! No other energy company has paid me for using their services. We have saved our friends and family money too by referring them. I would recommend to anyone!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I hated this company after just 3 months and stayed because they charge you $199 for early termination. So, after I found another apartment, I got quoted a much better plan with Gexa and thought I'd call to make the switch. After talking to a retention sales rep, they "convinced" me to stay for a similar plan and that I would avoid being charged a disconnect fee. Then I go to pay my bill and they sure enough added $199 for early termination. My electricity was still on and I stayed with them. Paying that would defeat the purpose! This company is a joke!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Ambit Energy is a wonderful company, I have been a customer for two and a half years. Never had a problem with them. I have become a consultant with them and the experience has been great! The company has great integrity. Well lets face it there's always something wrong with every company or business a little and people will get wet behind the ears cause it didn't go their way. But overall Ambit is a great company. They do save you a little bit of money. And they do care.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I've been using Ambit Energy for two years. I started with Ambit in 2016. The rule is after a year on your contract you would have to renew it into the plan you have always been in. What they didn't tell me is if they send a notice to renew and it is not caught on time, they will automatically renew you into their highest variable rate without notice. So, I received my electricity bill and my bill went from $97.00 to $285.00 for one month! After I called to discuss this with Ambit, they told me they have the right to change the plan over at their discretion after a year has passed. Here is the sneaky part, they will change over to the highest rated plan because they told me that most people don't want to mess around with renewing their contracts. I am furious about this.

This is a SCAM and it is written all over the program. They absolutely should not enroll you in the most expensive plan there is for THEIR benefit. They are making thousands and thousands of dollars doing this. There is no person in their right mind who would want Ambit to move them into a higher cost plan that quadruples! The frustrating part is I don't know who to complain to and I'm switching from Ambit immediately. I don't know if I have any way to get a refund. Of course if I don't pay it, ComEd will disconnect me. So they have me against a wall with their sneaky business practices. Perhaps the Attorney General's office can help. I just don't know. And they lured me in with their travel reward program, which has now abruptly ended. I WOULD NOT USE AMBIT AND ANYONE WHO READS THIS, PLEASE DO NOT CHOOSE AMBIT.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I been went to Ambit Energy since 2010 but from last year their services very bad, they always sending statement to my house after or only 1 or 2 days before your due day. When I called to customer services they told me because I'm late for my payment so I need paying for $125 for deposit until my contract expired they will give that back on my bill but when my contract almost expire I call and ask about that. The guy told me I have to stay with Ambit 9 more months if I want my money back. Huh look like they kidding on me. Well I don't need money back and don't need to stay with them no more. You have be careful when you want or planning change your services to this company.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have signed up for electricity service with Ambit Energy over the phone. I was presented with a possibility of paying a low rate of 8.5 cents per kWh if I sign up for a year as well as for paperless billing and automatic payment. Later, I was redirected to an automatic system that finalized the process. I have specifically asked the agent about any additional (or hidden) fees that may increase my effective rate and was told that there are none. However, since then, every month I was charged an additional fee of $9.99 because my electricity usage was below 1000 kWh. This fee significantly raised the effective rate that I was paying to up to 17.3 cents per kWh (more than double).

I feel that I was purposely misled by the Ambit Energy's representative. I find that the very small discount they gave for paperless billing and automatic payment were part of the scheme, as it made sure that I did not notice the extra fee immediately. I tried multiple times to contact them to resolve the issue, but was not successful as they refuse to waive the fee or cancel my service without a penalty.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I didn't recommend to people for Ambit Energy, I experience worst in this services and have problems with my billing. Every month they increase price for services. I also experience worst customer services. Never use this services. If you really want to save money, use another energy provider.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Tried to save money on electric bill and chose Ambit as the provider due to their favorable rate. Due to the process of having to verify the change, I opened account in my name. I asked the representative if that would be a problem as our electric bill with Eversource was in my husband's name. She assured me that there would be no problem. Today I receive a call saying Eversource rejected the change due to the fact Ambit was not in my husband's name. Lost out on a good rate and they obviously have no idea what they are doing. All they could say was, "Oh sorry..." Not helpful...

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have been an Ambit customer for more than four years, and I still have people tell me it’s a scam because of how they market their service. People are extremely skeptical, which I understand, but to say it’s a scam is just being flat out lazy! They don’t always have the cheapest rates, but they are very competitive. But because people have the opportunity to receive free electricity and get paid simply by referring people, that beats everyone else! Their customer service is AMAZING as well.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I forgot to renew this year to the lower rate plan and was charged approx. an extra $50 per month due to the very high rate plan that they put you in by default. That rate was about 75% higher than what JCPL was charging. To me that is very shady and I dropped them immediately.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Anyone who complains about their rates getting raised without them knowing did not read all of the terms and conditions. It's very simple - you choose your rate for the length of the term you want (I always choose the lowest rates!) and when it's time to renew, Ambit sends you a letter WELL in advance so that you can choose your next plan and still save money over National Grid. As a responsible human being, I always set a reminder on my phone about one month ahead of time to ensure I don't forget to change my plan. Couldn't be easier, and always cheaper than National Grid!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I've been a customer for just under 3 years and have been earning Free Electricity for most of that. I love the fact that by helping 15 of my friends and family once allows them to save each month and by helping them my Free Electricity check comes each month in the form of a tax free rebate check! Ambit has always been cheaper than CMP (Central Maine Power) so I have no worries that I'm going to pay more. It took me about two minutes to become a customer and didn't cost anything.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I've been a customer of Ambit for 18 months now. Rates are lower, and I even received a refund check at the end of the first year for the guaranteed rate they promised. I enrolled my condo association as well and we are all saving money!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

This company provides top notch customer service, as seen with the 12 JD Power Awards they have won. They quickly resolve all problems and I have saved for the 7 years I have been with them, as well as earning free energy for my home and for our church!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

It's about time that a company would not only follow through with what they say they'll do, by helping everyday people save money every single month on a bill we all HAVE to pay, but also help local food banks in my community? Ambit is amazing. There are no income guidelines to get the savings, just being in their market with an electric or natural gas account is enough. Plus the rewards points just for paying your electric bill?! Yes please! We mom saved hundreds of dollars last year, and we have ALMOST earned FREE ENERGY! Wow! I've never heard of a company that thanks me for my support by giving their service for free. Every month. Imagine it. Free Energy. No strings. The program is very clear. Follow the program and you get free electric or natural gas supply for free every month.

They don't cut corners or provide gimmicks. They want customers to WANT to be customers, rather than the competition who traps people into staying with termination fees and other fees, not to mention higher prices. Ambit also encourages all employees and customers to help with local food banks, in our own communities. Ambit Cares.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My wife and I have been customers of Ambit Energy for over 3 years and enjoyed saving money every month. We renew our plan with them every year quickly and easily. When we learned that we could pay less for a bill we had to pay and there was no change to our buying habits, it was a no brainer. It was so great that we took advantage of their customer referral program. After referring our friends to Ambit Energy we started getting our supply for free! The last twelve months we saved almost $800 in our supply cost. That money has made a huge difference for our family of five! Thank you Ambit Energy for being better than we expected!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This company stands behind their business model. They said that if I get 15 customers to join under me as a customer I would get free gas and electricity equal to the supply portion of my bill. I did and now every month I receive a tax free rebate check for my gas and one for electricity. This is awesome to get free money and I also helped some good friends save money on their utilities.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Ambit Energy helped me save a lot on my electric bill!! Best part is, as a customer, I also receive a monthly rebate check at an average of $70 per month just for referring others to this great service! The consultant who signed me up was very friendly and very helpful. The customer support staff is always super responsive and helpful. I've never felt like I'm just a number when I contact anyone at Ambit!

Not sure about Ambit Energy?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Utility Companies for you.

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
    Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ambit Energy Company Information

ww2.ambitenergy.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business