Ambit

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The past three bills from my electric provider had risen significantly. This caused by me not calling and renewing my annual contract which sent my variable rate to go from 7.25 to 14.5 cents per KWH. I have paid $850 in overages in the past three months. Beware of this scam.

I was paying 15.3 cents per kWh before Ambit Energy. I am now paying 9.75 cents for the same energy. I like how there are no contracts or early termination fees. I recently referred 15 customers and now I have received free energy which comes in a month check of around $100. Once a year I renew my account by logging into my free customer website provided by Ambit. I don't know how people can complain about this company. I am very happy.

Customer for over a year, 100% happy. Checked every bill and have never paid more than AEP. Ambit is only a supplier, which means the reviews stating they were disconnected due to Ambit are laughable. The incumbent will always distribute, connect/disconnect, and bill you. Ambit isn't an electric or gas company, they are an energy supplier. They can't disconnect or connect you. The only bad reviews I've seen that are truthful are the ones where people forget to renew and are then put on a variable rate. Guess what, that happens with any energy supplier! In other words, that was their own fault. Ambit sends out notifications a month in advance to renew. Basically, if you're going to write a review, please be truthful or own up to your mistakes.

We have been Ambit customers for almost 2 years and are very satisfied with the service offered us by this reputable company. They have notified us each time we have changed our rate with them through the free website they offered us as customers, and they have been extremely helpful and professional each time we have been contacted via phone. We have lowered our Ambit electric rate on 5 separate occasions. It is interesting that people cannot take the 60 seconds it takes to renew their own energy plan through Ambit but will spend 5+ minutes to write up a negative review and post it on the internet. But then I realize it is the "It's not my fault" generation. Only 397 complaints out of 1.4 million customers is a pretty good track record.

I am so amazed every month when the power bill comes in that it is so LOW! No, I am not receiving the free energy, shut the front door when I do. The amount that I pay every month is lower and lower, OH and I am eligible for travel rewards on top of that. Hum, that is like paying once and receiving 2 things. Thank you Ambit for saving so many people money month after month!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit?

I sign with Ambit 2 month ago. My bill for electricity come to 196 kWh and the charge come to $10.29. They charge me another $ 9.99 for low usage but on top of that they charge me $143.81 for delivery so that make a total bill of $185,42. I call their customer service 3 different times and all the time get RUDE answers to my problem. Ambit offered a low price for Kwh but they don't tell customers that they make their money on overcharging the AEP charges. Somebody suggest me to call AEP a day. I did but they told me that they can not control Ambit charges. My neighbors use more electricity than I and pay under $70.00. I ask them to cancelled my contract but they want $250.00 in order to do it. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR STAY AWAY OF AMBIT.

When I moved in, I was being referred to this company through the leasing office. After careful consideration I did went through because I was in need of quick electricity. Guess what, these scumbags charge you at very VARIABLE electricity rates. I got 7.3 cents rate, but guess what is my average monthly rate? It's anywhere from 9.8 cents to 13.2 cents per month. Scumbags write all ** in fine prints in agreement.

Do not believe in this company. They are just trying to get people money without any notice from their credit card. If you want have pain in the neck you may go with them, like I did unfortunately. I signed with them as a consultant and I paid the starting fee and 1st month website payment. And I realized that I could not do this and I wanted to stop before the 1st month over. I called them to stop and I quit. But they still charged me the second month fee without any notification, without any receipt and bill. I called them and explained. They told they cannot refund. Just wasting time...

Upon reading all these people's complaints, one thing becomes clear: they didn't renew their service with Ambit like they were told numerous times to do. We've been satisfied with them fir 5 1/2 yrs now. We've been saving 18% over what the incumbent would have charged us because we paid attention to the email letter that Ambit sent us. Thanks for reading this.

They kept my service on even when I moved and a new tenant moved into that apartment with a different energy company and they kept charging me. I had removed my billing payment information and didn't renew the service, but they auto-switched to a variable plan without contacting me and then tried to back charge me. After finally calling to "officially" cancel the service, I explained this and they seemed to agree. Fast forward 6 months later, with no other form of contact and having moved to a completely different state, I receive a "final notice" letter saying the balance owed had tripled in late fees and they were going to put a collections agency after me. All the representatives I spoke with were friendly, albeit completely unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend this energy company to my worst enemy.

Terrible! 1 1/2 hrs on the phone! Trying to shop for electricity etc! I have NEVER spent that kind of time with nothing accomplished! Spoke to 10 people, management (joke)... finally hung up on these idiots! Never again!

I have been with Ambit for two years. They always send out a letter to remind you of your contract renewal date is and they also call you. I am a rep and have never had any complaints at all. No company is 100% perfect and I have not read all the reviews but any big company has a few unhappy people. If you have any problem with any company, mine is DirecTV, however, I have learned you just keep asking for their manager until you are satisfied, and their manager etc.

I call in about a minor question that maybe I should know but they are super nice and help right away. They do not have people in customer service that you can't understand either. A big plus I think. And you have the ability to get Free electric. And as long as you keep a contract, as with most companies, all companies are in the ball park. Sorry if anyone is disappointed with them as I have not heard nothing negative. Now TXU and Reliant are terrible, they do not call or send out a letter, fyi. I believe they even send you a email.

Company got me. They conned me into signing up. Been 24 hours and nothing but a nightmare of phone calls. No bosses, no managers and no help. Rudest people ever spoken to. CEO googled says he worked for Enron. Didn't they have trouble? I should have learned. Nobody will help. When you call there is a chain of command that gets worse, Carlos to supervisor Joel to Manager Adria. 2nd call I get Jennifer, gave me to supervisor Braden even though I asked for a manager. Then I got manager Adria again who almost killed me with high bold pressure. Called my sponsor and told them to remove me and not call again! Do not mess with this company!!!

Horrible company! Please do not affiliate yourself with this company and save your money. They hope that you miss your renewal each year so that they can charge you the variable rate for months, sucking the financial life out of you. Worst decision I ever made and will be moving on.

WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! After being with them for a year and a half my amount per kilowatt was jacked up to .1740 from .8000 without notice. I called to have it corrected and was informed that because I had paid late two nor more time in one year they had taken me off the discounted rate. I had already paid one bill at the increased rate not realizing what was happening. They resigned me and informed me they could not adjust the bill I had already paid but they would adjust the current month. As they did.

Now I just got another bill for $470.00 so I called them and now they tell me this bill was at the previous non-discounted rate and they will not adjust it. I am moving next month and hope that they do not service the new area I will be living in. If they do I will gladly pay to get rid of them. Signed extremely disappointed customer. To all potentially new customers for Ambit. Do your research and DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM!!! You were warned...

I called Ambit today to discuss my electric bill which is approximately $60 higher than any bill I have received. After I looked online at my account I see that I missed the renewal less than 30 days ago. Instead of making a piece offering, Ambit explains that nothing can be done but I am able to enter into another contract with them. I explained to the "sarcastic" customer service rep that that would not be necessary as I will find another provider. In addition, I had two people I referred in which I never received the "referral" bonus for that I know of. So hopefully they have not signed up so I can warn them of the poor customer service. After this experience I also observed on this website that I am not the only person with this complaint (although he did get offered a 10% refund). If I wasn't a renter I would elect solar.

This multi-level marketing energy provider was started by Jere Thompson, grandson of the founder of 7-11 convenience store and a highly respected Dallas business leader. I trusted Ambit to have similar customer-centric values. For continuing to do business with Ambit after my contract renewed (and I admittedly irresponsibly did not renew), my rate went from 9 cents to 16.5 cents. For doing MORE business, I got hit with a punitive (and greedy) rate. This is absolutely Ambit taking advantage of customers -- just because they can. When I called, they basically offered me a 10% refund which was pathetic since their lowest renewal rate was at least 20% higher than other providers -- and their fees are higher. BUYER BEWARE. They will fleece you, because they can.

I have an automatic payment set up which in almost all occasions is more than my monthly bill and Ambit is more than happy to accept the extra money and keep it until the next bill and then give the credit. Last month the automatic payment was short by $37. Within 2 days Ambit disconnected my service without any notice. I actually called to report a power outage and then was informed that I was disconnected. There were a few additional fees to have the service reinstated. I think that Ambit intentionally does not notify their customers before Disconnection so that they can collect the extra fees as a means of additional revenue. Thoroughly dissatisfied with Ambit as a service provider and will definitely be taking my business to an alternative supplier.

The agent that introduced me to this company promised to give me a better deal if I showed him my bill with the company I had at the moment. I didnt plan on switching but I just wanted to get him off my back. I went ahead and sent him the bill and he gave me a better price. Before anything was said and done, I asked him if there was going to be a problem switching companies and he said no there wasnt and if there was any fees, that they would take care of it. He was dead wrong. I get a call a few days later from my previous company asking to verify that I switched and if I was aware there was a fee of $300 for early termination.

I call Ambit and they were not going to take care of the termination fee of the other company. What now? Im in 2 contracts and you can figure out the rest. All Ambit can say is that the person that got me started is an independent contractor... Okay meaning they can say what they please to get you in and Ambit is not responsible for that? Exactly that! I was shocked how they were not taking responsibility for that. I spoke with the supervisor and he just kept repeating over and over about early termination fee on the contract which I was in for 5 days. Apparently, 3 days is how long you have to go back on the contract.

The only reason I no longer wanted Ambit to service me is because when I get the phone call from my previous company, I called Ambit immediately and they did not take care of the problem at all. Who wants to receive service from a company like that? Someone who you cannot trust and will not take responsibility for their people because they are independent contractors and because you dont have record of what was said between you and the agent, it cannot be taken care of? That is ridiculous! Because the agent was not trained well enough to give me the proper information now I have to pay $250 to get out of the contract. Not to mention, I called the agent when I first heard of this and he said he will take care of it all only to not hear from him ever again.

ONE THING EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW is that my previous company MATCHED the rate Ambit was giving me. So maybe everyone should at least get a quote on how much they would pay through Ambit and call their current company and try to get them to match it. It's all the same electricity, and they are all connected, the only difference is who you are paying and how much they are charging you. Another thing, customer service will not release management's contact information and they will only transfer you.

Moving from house, I got a bill from JCPL for the amount of $2242.05 which $2172.70 was from Ambit Energy. I called Ambit Energy and they stated that I was on a budget payment plan and this is what I owe now since I am closing the account, I was never told that I should increase my monthly payment because I was using more power than I was paying for. In fact I NEVER received a letter about ANYTHING regarding rate changes, account changes etc. This is definitely a UNFAIR practice that they are using for people who signed up and thought they were saving money, instead as soon as you quit them they send you this HUGE bill you owe them. It is a SCAM!

I check my credit score and saw the name Ambit come across as a negative mark on my credit score. For 83 dollars. First off who are you? How did you get my info without my consent? I will be filing a complaint with the BBB first thing in the morning for fraud.

I received my yearly statement that they said will come and show me how much I saved over the year. I saved 36%! I am so thankful and I also received my free 2 nights 3 days hotel stay, which I couldn't believe will be free and also my travel reward points are getting collected every month and I will be getting ready for my cruise hopefully in the year. I want to thank again my friend who shared it with me and the company!!! Thank you!!

I had a lot of bad experiences with this company. If you let your contract expire they double your rate without telling you. If you have to go on month to month for any reason they double your payment. I just got solar panels on my house and let my electricity be cut off while trying to switch over. I paid the bill I owed and I paid the disconnect fee. I told them not to reconnect my electric and they did any way for a few mins. and they charged me half of the reconnect fee for that few mins. and only reimbursed half of the reconnect fee. I had several years of points built up from my electric and since I am no longer with them I cannot collect on my points. Very unprofessional.

Had ambit for gas and electric for a little over a year. Since I was moving I let my contract expire. I knew I would have to pay the non contract price. What I didn't know was that Ambit would charge over 4 times my contract price. This cost me hundreds of dollars but my total savings for the year was only $4.87. Once you sign up the system is set up that you can't get out without paying the excessive non contract price. It takes a month or 2 to convert to a new supplier. Any savings will be lost and more. Customer service was useless. I will never use ambit again.

In reading the complaints about Ambit Energy, folk collectively don't understand that there is a 'variable -non contract side of Ambit... and a non-variable contract side. On the contract side, you as a customer MUST physically RENEW your own contract before it EXPIRES. That is really your own responsibility to do that if you want to keep those cheaper rates that you signed up for. Your information to your account is always on your computer Ambit energy page. It gives you an early notice that your Ambit account is about to expire. It's also a great business idea to put it in your email computer calendar ahead of time so you will know early to go on your Ambit site and freely & quickly renew your Ambit account. A lot of this stuff is pure misunderstandings. Every company in this world has growing to do but when you check out the greatness of Ambit Energy, you will find out that we are in the top ratings in the business world!

I had contract for 6 months with Ambit energy in 2012 with special rate. Before my 6 months contract expired I started shopping around for prices or better rates. Ambit was running a deal for almost 12/KW cents. I wanted to wait and see if Ambit energy will have better prices later so I waited and watched their prices because I did not want to change or switch companies. One month later after my contract expired I received a bill from Ambit energy for 24 cent/KW and bill that was just unreal. I called and ask about that special that they have for that month and still have and I was denied. I was told that this is my price and that I was out of contract even if they have better price on internet. Customer service was also awful. Please everyone, do not ever buy anything from this company.

I am currently a consultant with the company so I make money selling Ambit's services. My business started out slow with Ambit but in my second year it really turned a corner. Now I can say that the company pays me more money than I ever dreamed anyone would pay me. One improvement they have made is lowering the fee to start selling their products. It used to be $429 to start an Ambit business and now it is $75. That really helped my business grow.

With regard to customers, in New York, Ambit has heard the complaints and they have changed how customers renew their contracts. If you look on their website, you can see that new customers will automatically have their 2% guaranteed savings plans renewed to a 1% guaranteed savings plan without the customer taking any action. (If you are an existing customer who switched to Ambit before today, make sure this applies to you before you assume it applies to existing customers.)

That was one of the main complaints about Ambit on this website and I really hope and pray they extend that change to other states also. At the end of two years, I have helped so many customers save a lot of money on their bills. Even if they are only saving 3-5% per month on their bill, that really adds up over time. And some have saved a lot more than 3-5%. In the process, I have been very well rewarded by Ambit. I believe it's a win/win and I believe that this makes up for the few rough edges the company has.

Worst company I've ever dealt with. Over charges, rude customer service people, lies, lies, lies. Stay away from these people. Never keep you informed of what's going on with your bill, then over charge you for not knowing. It's a racket! They should be run out of town!

I am very pleased with Ambit Energy services. There is fierce competition in energy market. Other reviewers may have written reviews because they have different agenda. My experience is different. I renewed my contract with Ambit after a year. One must be careful about the date. Ambit is very conscious about their consumer affairs. I am getting more than 40% discount although I was promised only 2% discount. If one does not renew their contract then their rates go up. One time Ambit did not give me 2% discount and I called them. They renewed my contract and had sent me a check. No wonder Ambit is famous for its integrity and honesty. God bless Ambit.

After getting very high gas and electric bills the past few months, I decided to look into this. I checked rates with National Grid, where I pay my bills thru, and noticed the Ambit rate was almost triple. I called up Ambit where I was informed that after a year, it switches to a variable rate. I explained that it was cheaper with national grid and they claimed that they send checks for the difference in rates. I never got a check from them, even when I was still on their fixed rate plan. They also told me it would take a few billing cycles to drop them.

Call them on their bluff and call your National Grid or whoever you pay your bill. Request that Ambit be dropped immediately. Within a week I had a letter from National Grid thanking me for switching back to them. There was no waiting for Ambit to get off their ass to make the changes, if you do it for them. Plus.. if I had renewed with Ambit again, their rate was still higher, and they tried the send a check for the difference speech again. Nope! Was just curious about the fixed rate. Will never do that again!

Updated on 03/19/2016: I requested to cancel my service in February. They sent a letter dated March 10 saying they are auto changing me from variable rate to another savings plan, after I told them to cancel! They said it will take effect April 15 and I had 3 days to contact them, which ended during mail delivery. Are you kidding me? How is this legal? I already contacted national grid to drop them back in Feb. These people are tricky son of a **. I will be contacting national grid once again to make sure this does not happen and I will be calling ambit to complain about their practices. This just makes me want to really make sure they are removed from my acct.

Ambit Company Profile