1.66/5

Need a utility company?

504 Ambit Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have never had a problem with Ambit for over 3 years. I get free electricity with their Free Energy Program and have saved a lot of money. The company sends you an email, text message and a letter about 45 days before you are up for renewal. I suspect that many of the people complaining on this site just never checked their mail or renewed and went into the default rate. My energy consultant also always reminds me to renew. I think Ambit does exactly what they say and what is written in their terms and conditions.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Ambit, in upstate NY, since 2012. So have my parents and siblings. We have never had a bad experience. I have gone onto National Grid's website and did an ESCO comparison for myself as well as my family, and found that we all saved on our bills as promised. EVEN when the polar vortex hit in 2014. Our bills soared, as everyone else's did. I called Ambit & they explained why. I then called National Grid (my incumbent) & had them do a side by side comparison of my bill with Ambit & what it would have been if I had just stayed with my incumbent as my supplier. They researched it & told me that believe it or not, I actually paid LESS thru Ambit than I would have thru them.

I did get my renewal letter as promised. And now it's my understanding that I no longer have to notify them of my wish for renewal, it's automatic. I also get a statement every year as promised. I realize that they may of had some issues to deal with early in their launch, but looks like they have them all ironed out. I would indeed recommend this company to all interested in saving money. I have also compared them to other ESCOs as well, and still believe they are the company to be with.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

It was very simple to switch to Ambit Energy as my supplier. They offer lower rates than my provider National Grid which is why I chose them. People need to do their research on energy deregulation and the benefits you can gain by switching to Ambit Energy. I live in the Massachusetts which the energy market is different for every state that Ambit services. There's no sign up cost, no contracts and no cancellation fees. I've been with Ambit for about a year now and I've saved $500 so far. Looking forward to more future savings.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have used Ambit Energy for almost 3 years. I never have any issue with renewed and the rate they give is normally cheaper than all other ESCO, I don't understand those comments below. There is always needed renewing for fix rate, if not then you will switch to the variable rate automatically. Common sense people! You always need to renew no matter what company you used.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Wow! These reviews! I've been with Ambit at least 6 yrs and for those yrs, summer/Winter my bill has been consistent, give or take a (few) dollars. This is why I stayed. Which for Me is a plus, never experienced extreme bills. Always have gotten letters of renewal, with ample enough time to renew. I've never had to Ask for extension, so I wouldn't be able to share on that, however I had to call Ambit a Couple of days ago, and I did hold for 45 mins Way too long. The representative was helpful, As well as professional!

Yes I too, feel that being charge $10, for not using a 1000 watts Is totally wrong. I feel punished, and yes it contradicts, the savings they advertise! But life is what it is! All light companies, play part in some kind of deceitfulness! The world is built on greed! And where (customers are the prey!) Check out your bills and see center point charges!!! My advice find the lowest monetarily greedy, Company and go for the ride!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: May 21, 2019

They sent me a bill for $1264 for one month and said they reviewed and found it to be correct and before then never had a bill for more than 200 and this is many years of billing. If you want to get ripped off, use this joke of a company.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been a Customer & Consultant with Ambit Energy since 2016. They have had great rates and any issues that have come up have been resolved. 90% of the people I have dealt with have been friendly and helpful, which is more than I can say for some other establishments.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Called Ambit and notified them that I was moving - the representative informed me that the service will automatically be canceled when the new services begins. What they don't want you to know is that this switching date can be weeks after you move to your new location causing you to pay for those weeks. Instead of working for you, they don't inform you that you need to call and request a cancelation - which is processed much sooner. I feel terribly misled by them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

FRAUD RISK. I signed up with Ambit energy in June 2018. When I closed my account on March 31, 2019, my final bill was exceptionally higher than anticipated. I called in and I was informed that another account had been opened under my name with my DOB and SSN. They informed me that when I called in to close MY account, their collections department conveniently combined my account with the FRAUD account and charged my automatic payment method the two balances owed on both accounts. I called and disputed it only to be told they couldn't help me with the charges saying that I was responsible for them due to being tied in with my SSN.

Faxing out a police report, a copy of my state ID, SSN and a detailed report of my situation to them, I am still waiting for the issue to be resolved. And of course, they will not reimburse any funds to me until the account is fully investigated. IF they conclude that it is indeed fraud, they will then mail me out a check within 4-6 weeks after the fraud account is closed.

I have never been a victim of fraud or identity theft until I signed on with Ambit Energy. Their customer service agents are clueless. They lack the necessary empathy as a customer service representative for a client who is a fraud victim for the first time because of their company (one rep literally told me "sorry but maybe someone stole your SSN. We can't help you.") and have you going back and forth between departments. Not to mention their rates are incredibly high compared to my experience with other electrical companies and the size of the one bedroom apartments I've resided in. South Texas location.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Consumer beware. I moved to Houston about a year ago and I was referred to Ambit by the leasing office of my apartment, bad decision to sign on with Ambit. The highest utility company I've used ever and they will not make payment arrangements with you unless you pay them a percentage of the bill. STAY AWAY! Direct Energy is a MUCH better choice, good luck!

Original review: April 8, 2019

Customer since 2015. Type of plan: Average Billing. Average payment since 2015: $35-75 per month. Home: 3 bedroom/2 bath. On February 2019, received a bill for $735.45. Explanation: Company miscalculated payment for 2018. Cancelled since no offer for Ambit to take ownership of their error. $315.72 for cancelation. Customer service stated payment arrangements are available for poor people like me if I was interested. A total of $1051.17 must be paid to avoid collection and report to credit.

Original review: April 1, 2019

My son and I live in a one-bedroom apartment and I work from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. He is at school from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. I unplug everything except my refrigerator and my stove, ceiling fans are turned off. Lights are turned off. If it's not being used is turned off or unplugged. My February and March bill is $170 each month, I don't understand. My grandmother lives in a a four-bedroom house with three roommates and their electricity bill $78 each month. After reading the reviews, this is ridiculous. I'm with an apartment and new to Texas but I have never encountered is this high. I wish I would have done my research before I agreed.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I went with this company because of a friend that was doing it as a business, this company just after the contract was up they charged the largest bill I have ever seen even before all my windows were changed. I complained and they said that this was the reading. It even happened to my friend who also left this rip off company.

Original review: March 23, 2019

In the last two months this Ambit and TNMP have ganged up on its customers and are charging 75.00 on top of my regular 130.00 bill. Plus misc charges! This is robbery!! I spoke with Ambit who says it’s out of their hands! I will be searching for a new provider first thing Monday morning! There is no way I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and have a 255.00 bill! I’m breaking the contract and it can sit on my credit until the day I die as far as I’m concerned! This is BS!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I called up a friend in Dallas who worked at Mary Kay at the time, and asked him how they did this in a way that people looked at them with pride and respect. He told me, "Never sacrifice integrity for growth." Since then, we have held that as our mantra. Jere Thompson, Jr., Inc. 500 Interview (CEO of Ambit Energy). Really? That's not the treatment I recently encountered at Ambit Energy.

In December, my husband and I divorced after 23 years of marriage. The Ambit Energy account was in his name. I called last week to have the billing statement transferred into my name since I was staying in the house. The Representative told me that my ex-husband had to call first and give permission for the account to be changed. Sounds a bit sexist doesn't it? I was surprised at this since all the other utilities that serviced my home transferred the ownership the same day with only minor inconvenience. (e.g. copy of the divorce decree etc.) None the less, I obliged.

My ex-husband called on Saturday and gave me a 5-day window to have the service transferred before it was to be disconnected. Today I called Ambit back and learned that the service was not going to be transferred, instead I had to open up a brand new account, possibly pay a deposit, pay a fee, and be subject to the same plan with increased costs. Now I ask you, is that "never sacrificing integrity for growth?" Would any sensible person look at Ambit Energy's handling of this already sensitive issue and look at them with "pride and respect?" I think not.

And to add insult to injury, there is now a cancellation order in effect for March 7th which does not give me enough time to sign up with a competitor. If I do take Ambit's unfair option, I am subject to a $199 early cancellation fee if I change providers. If I don't, I will be without power for about 5 days in 30-degree weather. Where is the respect and integrity for customer loyalty in those options? Remember the community property paid our bill for the last 3 years; not just my ex-husband.

Divorce is difficult enough on all parties without having a greedy corporation making money off your hardship. The most ironic thing about this scenario is that I have a higher credit score and more liquid assets than my ex-husband and yet he is treated with royalty (allowed to give his permission for a change to the account) and I am treated like a dreg. Again, I ask you is Ambit Energy sexist or just uncaring?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I start with this company since 6 months ago. Every month I observed that the bill goes over and over. I'm a senior and I live in a studio. This studio has a stove, a dishwasher and a refrigerator, but I can't use the dishwasher either so much the stove. Just one time during the day. Also I haven't a microwave. Just use the heater when is necessary. Just I have emails sending to this company about my inquiry, but I have no answered. Before this company I signed a contract with other and they didn't know nothing about Ambit Energy.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I transferred to Ambit after receiving a $500 bill from TXU. For the first year all was fine as I paid under $150 a month. My son and I lived in a 2 BR townhouse. My son has since moved and I moved to a smaller unit. I ran into problems when it was time to renew. I renewed in Dec 2018 per email from Ambit. A second email request to renew came in Jan 2019. I didn't respond as I had just renewed. I receive my Jan bill and it's over $200. I call and they tell me that I renewed too early in Dec and should have responded to the second request to renew and was placed on a month to month contract...which doesn't make sense since I renewed in Dec per their request.

I pay the bill...renew again for 12 mos. I've received my Feb bill $287 which is more than double what I was paying when my son and I lived in the 2br. They are basically saying that I as a single individual who is barely home as I work all the time is using more power than what my son and I used. So I don't know where to turn...I have to pay the bill. I requested that they check meter to make sure it's functioning properly... $34 if they find that it is. I'm afraid to see what my bill will look like this summer. It's $199 to cancel and additional money to change to someone else. Read reviews for others and they are not good. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Don't fall for this nonsense! After my first year was up, they raised my rate by nearly 50% the first month. Now it's at nearly double the regular rate that my electric company charges! When I called to cancel, they told me it would take 1-2 months to shut it off and all the while, I have to pay these outrageous generation rates. All in all, it's going to end up costing us around $120 more by the time they change my supplier back to my normal company. This kind of stuff should be illegal.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Like others have said, they will change your plan after 1 year. They sent a mailer telling me to call but by time I actually received it, it was too late. They changed me into a variable plan for 2 months before PSEG took over. Any savings I would have had are now gone with those rates. The letter was printed on Dec. 11, 2018. I called on Jan. 12, 2019. The day my plan was supposed to end. There is no way to be able to call in the time period they give you. Also I had my gas thru them as well. They cancelled plan not me. Because it was cancelled before the year I lost my guaranteed savings. WTF. I didn't cancel it - they did!!! You only save 1% if you are lucky and able to renew the plan in a short timeframe. Otherwise you lose money!!! I am looking into class action in NJ.

They say if you call 10 days before the plan ends you don't have wait 1 to 2 billing cycles, then why do I have to wait that time in every other situation. Why can't they just renew an existing plan that guarantees saving instead of cancelling it and putting you into a different higher rate program which they will do once you're in the variable rate program. They have no issues renewing that one for you. Scam scam. And don't dare use a curse word on the phone - the people's ears fall off if you do. Snowflakes. People telling me I can't talk the way I do. I didn't curse at or disrespect the person I was talking to. They didn't like the fact I said this, "** company" or "This is **." I was not allowed to express myself using legit words they do not approve of. I use those words as adjectives. I could have been very disrespectful using so called non-curse word.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I just started services with them on 1/14/19. They sent me a bill in the mail on 1/19/19 and stated I owed them $590 dollars... I proceeded to call to see if it was an error on their end and the lady who took the call answered laughing and giggling talking about people, then when I explained my issue she then put me on hold for 5 to 10 minutes (to probably finish her conversation in peace). She got back on the phone and said it was from an account from 2015 I had but which was 5 years ago... When I asked why they didn’t state this from jump when I started service the young lady said she didn’t know and then ask was that all... I then ask to speak to a supervisor and she hung up the phone... THIS COMPANY IS A COMPLETE RIPOFF. FULL OF UNPROFESSIONAL WORKERS AND DESERVES TO BE SHUTDOWN & BANKRUPT.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I live on a split level house, new windows, solar panel and heat pump (electric). It's all electric. No gas or oil and they doubled the rates, i was paying 0.9 and I got charged 0.18 per kwh without notice or anything. I will call them tomorrow (Monday) and want to see what they gonna say. Also they estimate usage and that's B/S. I don't use 2600kwn per month. One time was 3400 kwn per month, and as I said I have solar panel, new windows, central heat pump etc.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Shady business practices. They prey on folks who fail to renew their contracts. My rate went from .0675 to .012375 after my guaranteed savings plan ended. They claim I should have received a notification about renewing. Never saw it. What kind of people would charge you double the average national rate. Thieves, scam artist, liars. Pure evil. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I will never recommend this company. They charge you 10.00 to send you a letter to tell you you are late. When I requested it to be waived they told me I should pay it because it was part of my contract to give me an extension to pay my bill. When asked why they can't waive it, the answer given because I had been charged this fee in the past and had paid it. Apparently I was not aware of it then, but needless to say they charge additional fees and then unlike other companies refuse to waive them to make money. We work too hard for our money for a big company like this to just make up a fee and not inform you of this especially in a technology world of emails and online bill pay. Stay away I say!!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I would not recommend this company. They processed my light bill multiple times and made me wait 30 days to return the extra processed payments. Their website is very inconvenient and when I called to request a refund they stated that their website could of been not working properly which is why the payments were processed extra. Horrible company!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I signed up with Ambit because my apartment told me to sign with them. I should have pressed or looked into more options because I signed with a terribly expensive plan. The customer service is terrible. I would highly recommend another energy company like Direct Energy - my new service provider who has reasonable prices and GOOD customer service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have used this company since 2012. I didn't renew the notice since I had never received the renewal notice. So I was automatically billed at a monthly rate for many years and I had paid extra thousand of dollars. The company tried to expand their coverage and never provided customer services.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was with Ambit Energy for 6 months. Their customer service is terrible! Yesterday I was on the phone for 58 min. The first 40 were wasted on hold waiting for a live person to answer my billing question. Once I got a live person lets just say that English is not their first language. They are relentless with their payment schedule. There is no leniency with their short due dates. Typically I pay my bill within a week of receiving it. EVERY month I got late charge and threat of having my services disconnected.

After this last experience with wasting an hour to get a simple question answered I have changed providers. I was able to sign up for service with a new provider in only about 5 minutes and getting a better rate. While I am writing this review I am again on hold waiting for a live person to disconnect my service and make sure they close the account. I've been on hold another 45 min.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Just call customer service at any time of the day and see how long they keep you waiting. Don't press new account, press something like billing or representative, you will be waiting at least 45 minutes. Then they will give you an option "press 1 for a callback," please do it! You will never receive that callback. They charged us from the wrong meter, I know it was CenterPoints fault because they gave them the wrong meter. But now, after 2 months, the issue was corrected by me, my wife and Centerpoint, still, they keep saying that there was no problem at all and we never overpaid (when clearly they have the wrong meter number on our bill).

If you want to pay $70 extra on your bill every month, have the worst customer service in the world, please use Ambit. We are already looking for another electricity provider. I will be more than happy to pay $190 cancellation fee just to get this awful company out our lives once and for all. This company may work for you if you work for them and you make people buy their service just so you can get money or credit back from your bill. But if you are just a customer, be ready for the worst experience of your life with customer service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have never had electricity bills like this. One person, very frugal. Senior citizen/Veteran... living on social security and disability... called to say I would be late paying, they ok'D my delay. I paid my bill which included a 60 dollar reconnect fee... and two hours later... they turned off my electricity. I never have lights on if I am not in the room, do maybe three loads of laundry per week, frequently gone for two to three weeks at a time, keep the ac 76-78. My last bill was 220 dollars before the 60 dollar add-on... should never have left TXU. There is no flexibility with this company!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I was paying a 13 kwh with my previous company... Amazingly with Ambit I'm paying 9.2 kwh and somehow my bills are higher with Ambit. After comparing a few bills with similar usage same months Ambit is still higher. I did ask if there are any hidden fees, or fees outside of the normal taxes before signing with them was assured no by the sales rep, and direct Ambit employees. They told me that because of Oncor raising their fees was the reason I saw the increase... I asked what date did this take effect, I was told September... Every example I looked at for the higher bill was before September. Stay away from Ambit, they have extra fees probably why they offer the deceivingly low rates. And it's 199 dollars to break your contract.

Ambit Energy expert review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

• Best for: energy consumers who want competitive rates and plans, as well as rewards programs for their energy use.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout