2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

3.8/5 (250 ratings)

About Ambit Energy

Ambit Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ambit Energy?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

We were talked into Ambit by a friend. We were guaranteed a 3% savings, however, a year into it we were paying more than our local electric supplier. When we called, they said we would need to stay with Ambit until the end of our term and they would then send a check for the difference. We reluctantly stayed. We received a letter telling us to call them ten days before our term ended to pick a plan. We called to tell them we weren't going to renew and she said they would send a check. After not receiving a check in eight months, we called and they are now saying it was canceled four days before our term ended. They played with the dates so we wouldn't be entitled to the check. When we told them we didn't want to renew our plan, we thought it would ride out to the end. However, they played with the dates so they didn't have to honor their contract.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

There are hidden fees included and the customer service can't provide you with any legal document for the extra charge, I'd scheduled 8/30/2021 to stop my service forever. Copied this from my bill> Current miscellaneous adjustments: $ 62.47. Please don't let this company scams you too.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

If I could give 0 stars, I would. Horrendous customer service. I've been trying to be patient but I've been trying to correct an issue since July 1, and it is August 18. They continuously give you the run-around which diminishes patience after 2 months. I was supposed to move into an apartment but my complex moved me to a different unit. So that same day, I called and asked if I could move my service to the new unit. They happily said yes and that no additional fees would apply. But then, I received voicemails from them saying I owed fees. One of their managers contacted me and said to disregard those notices because I should not be charged that and an "investigation" would be opened.

Later, they called saying someone else moved in that apt so that's why the investigation closed, pay the fees. I do not have control over who moves into that other unit! Then another representative tried telling me the fees were because I left Ambit. I still have them in my new unit, they can check their records. They even had me email some customer service place that never responded back. They kept saying we'll open a new investigation but nothing comes of them. I finally gave in and paid the fees today, for an apartment I never lived at, because I will not let them ruin my credit but it was extortion. I just wanted to warn future customers to find a better company!! I wish I had.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have been with Ambit for years on and off when they are available in my area. At the end of my last contract I didn’t renew because I was looking to move and didn’t know what area. My house is only 1,200 sqft and I do not keep it down in the 60’s. My bills have been outrageous, far more than I have ever paid in my life. I’m using 1000-1200 kWh and my last 2 bills have been over $200 a month. I enrolled with another provider and Ambit called me asking what they could do to keep me! I laughed and said nothing and explained the reason, the rep said if I ever changed my mind give them a call! Well, I’ll tell you NOT a chance in HELL. My last bill was almost $300! Are you out of your fricken mind! Stay clear of this company!

Original review: July 30, 2021

I decided to save some $ so I saw that Ambit had a plan to get commercial electric supply rate at .0295 kw. So when I called to sign up they told me that the rate I saw on the NYSEG website was only for the first month... OK... so that price was falsely advertised. But I still signed up. I have documentation on this. First bill came in the mail .065/kw. I called and they said I have to call the electric company. Called the electric company and they said I have to call Ambit. I feel this was just a ploy to get me to switch. No accountability, no one gives a crap at Ambit or Nyseg, they just pawn you off to another phone operator.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Ambit had a technological glitch in January that caused them to delete our auto payment information. They did not try to reach out to us about this (except one phone call with no voicemail), or fix the issue on their side. After one month they shut off our power due to lack of payment. When we called it took them 4 hours to turn it back on. We tried to complain, and the service representative spoke from a script, could not help us or offer us any compensation except to reimburse the late fees, which were their fault to begin with.

Eventually, they offered us a credit on our account, but could not tell us that they would take this complaint seriously, or had any plans to keep this from happening in the future. This company does not seem to care about the customer, and only wants to squeeze as much money out of us as they can. We are switching companies as soon as our contract is up (It also has a $200 late fee).

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Ambit Energy is my electric provider for my office building. I recently received the latest statement that said my payment was late. I had set it up on autopay with a credit card. I called and they said it was a glitch. My American Express was fine and I never had any problems with it. I always pay the balance so it wasn't my card. The rep couldn't explain why it didn't go through, nor why no one called me. By the way, I am unable to log in to my account and they can't reset it. I will be changing this company when my contract is up.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Beware of this company. We stared with them and after 6 months we decided to cancel their service and move from that address. They told us that it would take a month for them to cancel the service. After that, we started to receive letters with bills that we already paid. For some reason now we owe more than $700 in past bills. Which is impossible since we already paid them and moved out of that address. We called customer service and the representative (a lady) we talked with was very rude, angry and yelled at us. Unacceptable for a company to have this kind of employees. She didn’t help us at all and tried to threat us saying they will send us to collection agencies and our credit score will suffer. Such behavior is very shameful. They are a scam. Don’t let them get you. I’ve read other reviews online of people experiencing the same situation. Please be careful if you already have this service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I moved to Texas and was unaware that you had to choose a Electric provider. If I knew I would have done some research on providers and read some reviews. I have canceled them due to their over charging rates and have been trying to get an overpayment refunded. This process has been tough, to say the least. It has been over a month since my first request and they acknowledge my first call but admit nothing was done, but can not speed up the process to get me my refund to me. Do yourself a favor and do not choose Ambit Energy to be your Electric Provider.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

The online portal is poor. I had set up a Pre-Auth payment from my credit card so I wouldn't have to worry about going into the online portal to make payments. The website confirmed I was enrolled. A month later I find out that I am receiving late payment fees because for some reason I am not enrolled even though the website confirmed that I was. Customer service was not able to refund late fees or commit to listening to my situation or change the portal. Obviously some technical issues here.

Ambit Energy author review by Jonathan Trout

Ambit Energy got its start in 2006 and continues to offer cost-effective choices for energy consumers in deregulated markets. It has won numerous awards, including J.D. Power and Associates’ number one most positive recommendations.They have over one million active customers.

• Rates and plans: Ambit rates and plans differ depending on your location and whether you’re a homeowner or business. Visit their website and type in your zip code for accurate rates. A full list of Ambit’s service areas is also available online.

• Green energy: Ambit is Green-e Energy certified and offers renewable energy from sources like wind farms to provide clean energy. If you choose a green plan from Ambit, you can be assured you will receive energy from a clean resource, reducing the environmental impact.

• Solar power: Are you looking into solar power for your home? Ambit partners with Sunrun, a leading solar provider, to offer residential solar power to residents in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. Sunrun offers worry-free service, taking care of the paperwork, permits, installation, monitoring and more. You can apply for solar power on Ambit’s website, and a Sunrun representative will contact you to walk you through the process.

• Free energy: You can earn free energy through Ambit’s free energy program and potentially reduce your monthly energy cost by up to 100 percent. The free energy credit works by taking the average daily energy costs of customers you’ve referred and multiplying it by the number of days in your billing cycle. You can earn free energy every month, up to your total energy costs.

• Travel rewards: As an Ambit customer, you earn one travel point for every kilowatt-hour you use. Points can be redeemed on Ambit’s website through travel packages that include things like spa or golf getaways, cruises, vacation packages and more.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team