1.18/5
  • 1 star
Based on 256 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 2, 2017

406 PSE&G Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

PSE&G Electric Co. New Jersey - The price is way too high. It feels like extortion. The thick 6000 dollars is a reasonable amount to pay for an electric bill. They are not willing to work with customers. They do not investigate when they are wrong. And they are quick to shut off without negotiating a reasonable payment plan. They literally told me I should go out and beg a church or someone for the money while leaving me and my children and elderly mother with no gas or electric.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I called the 1800 number to their emergency department stating to them that the oven at my residence is not working and stove sparks when you try to turn it on. I told the customer rep that I told the super about this and he stated that it had been RIGGED. I don't really know what he means by that, but if it dangerous I figured it should be dealt with immediately. I called PSE&G after 2 days of this not being fixed, and they stated that they would have to charge ME for them fixing this issue. I made it clear three times that I'm not the owner but a renter there, and this rep kept saying they were going to have to charge me for this. IDIOTIC! This might be a serious problem and this fool is clearly playing games on the phone. I just hung up in anger. If something happens at this place hopefully this email will come up. I not sure if this is a serious problem, but I think PE&G is just begging for a lawsuit if it is.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Our air conditioner was not working and we set up an appointment for Saturday afternoon. I waited at home from 12 noon to 4 pm and they did not show up, I called the customer service line and they informed me that it was canceled at 2.30 pm because nobody opened the door. I am sure that the person who said that was lying as I have been looking at my driveway and road all the time from my window. I am writing this to make people aware that these people may not at all show up and say that nobody was home.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

10/10/2017 Tree down on my house after a storm yesterday. Called PSE&G at 8 AM this morning. Tree took down power lines and power pole on top of the house. No one showed up by 4 PM. Called again. They said they would "try" to get here today. How in the world would they possibly handle a statewide emergency, if they can't handle 1 or two in a timely manner? I hope they get here before the downed lines start the house on fire!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Jennifer of Sound Beach, NY on July 29, 2017 noted that "my meter was popping and sparking". This is what smart meters do: they are fire hazards and I do not want one, especially on a gas meter which could cause an explosion. Smart meters send pulsed radiation signals through your home to spy on you and to collect data "every couple of minutes" about your energy usage. They can burn out your appliances and they allow PSEG to shut down your power remotely and arbitrarily. PSEG (Public Service Enterprise Group) which "serves" New Jersey and Long Island, New York is trying to force this dangerous, pulsed radiation Smart Meter on me.

PSEG will not allow me to opt out nor will it support me finding me another energy supplier. In their most recent letter, PSEG has tried to force a Smart Meter on me by lying about it. The meter they want to replace my old one with IS A SMART METER! PSEG is doing this so that they can potentially charge customers 5 to 10 times what they are paying now (this is based on experiences of utility customers in California, Illinois, Michigan, and Texas after smart meter installation).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PSE&G?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

PSE&G Equal Payment Plan - I signed up a year ago for the EPP with PSE&G to know exactly how much I paid /mo since we were on a tight budget. It was roughly $155/mo and I was told that it would go under review in six months to see if the amount will change (either up or down). Well the six month mark came and saw a spike ($20/mo increase) on our bill without prior notice. I contacted them right away and they told me that it was standard procedure to increase the amount without any notice to customer because we were on the payment plan. Also they added that the increase was due to "courtesy" to us because we may owe more at the end of the plan and this was to ensure that we didn't. So I continued the payments.

Six months from then (1 yr from signing EPP) I received notice that my plan year had expired and due to the amount that was used during the plan year and the payments I made, my EPP will now be $185/mo. for the new EPP year. So I guess that "courtesy" increase that was made (without prior notice or knowledge) did nothing to curb the increase that PSE&G would inevitable give me.

I contacted them right away and was on hold for 1/2 hour. When a representative finally answered, I was told to call back because customer service was closed. I told the lady that I was on hold for 1/2 hour and I called prior to the 8pm. She accepted my call but I should've just called back the next day. Poor customer service. She took my information and basically sounded like she couldn't be bothered huffing and puffing away. I requested that my EPP be cancelled and she basically said "fine, it's cancelled" and hung up. Let's see if it was truly cancelled. Overall I wouldn't recommend the EPP with PSE&G to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I moved to PA and thankfully didn't have to deal with PSE&G for 10 years. Moving back I'm still disgusted that I have no choice in companies and forces to suffer with them again. Their customer service is horrible, each time I call the agent is ruder than the previous one. It's very annoying. Considering I don't call very often says a lot. This company has no compassion for anyone's issues, and mine includes a divorce. There is just no empathy. I encourage my friends that live in alternate NJ counties with an alternate power supplier to go with them and stay away from this one.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Our air conditioner broke down. PSE&G promised to send someone to fix it since Wednesday, then kept on postponing. Finally said they are sending someone on Saturday, then we have to ask our staff to make a trip to come on Sat. But still no show. How should we do with the one utility company in town. Switch back to fireplace?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

PSE&G needs to figure out how to restore power to their customers without taking three hours or more. They were quick to shut off power due to an overdue payment. We made the payment at 2:30 p.m At 5:00 my husband called and they said they were en route to turn it on. My husband called again at 9:00 p.m. They claimed they knocked on our door at 5:38 which I believe is not true because I was at home the entire time WITHOUT power. There wasn't any noise in the house so I was able to hear everything and no one knocked on our door. It is now 9:31 and still no power. It is truly frustrating. Our food in the refrigerator is spoiled and they couldn't care less. They should change legislation to allow multiple energy providers in this state.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

After I moved to TX, I updated my account address with PSEGLI so they can sent me last statement. While I visit my online account, I find I was actually overpaid my last bill, so I requested the refund online since April 2017. Whoever handle the issue, email me that the overpayment will be refund. I have sent them new address again, just in case their knows it before sent out the check, the issue has been going on until August. Then I received USPS notification that PSEGLI sent a check to my old address. I sent PSEGLI email about the issue, they never reply me again. So I end up never take that check. So the issue seems to me are intentional try to refuse refund of customer's overpayment.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Called PSEG to tell them my meter was popping and sparking. 9 pm. Said they would send someone out with a 4 hour window. I sat up until 2 am. No show. Stayed awake all night in fear. Called again at 8 am. Said my meter was melting. They said someone will be there 4 hour window. Had to go to work in am. My husband took off work to wait. I arrived home at noon (left work early) so my husband could go to work. 2 pm no show. Called again. Begged for help. Explained situation to a very understanding woman who said that the computer said non emergency will arrive before Aug. 5. Very sympathetically put in as emergency. Finally showed 6 pm. Said house was 2 seconds from burning down. REALLY??? Temporary power now until upgrade lol.

Original review: June 18, 2017

This review is on behalf of approximately 500 residents of a building in Newark serviced by PSE&G. It is a piece of ** company, I promise. Unfortunately, I will continue to use it because I need electricity and there are no other providers, but if you have any choice in the matter, do not pick PSE&G. Their meters do not work accurately, which means that yes you could theoretically pay less than what your bill should be, but most likely you will end up paying more than what you should be paying. And that amount will be a random number with no representation of how much electricity you actually used.

Secondly, I called customer service to ask for the address at which my bank should send the payment. Customer service (who by the way ALL have a horrible attitude; I know because I've talked to at least 5-10 of them by now) told me the address and zip code. My bank wanted the 4 digit extension after the zip code so I asked about that. The lady told me I don't need it and that she didn't know it. When I asked if I could speak to someone else, she hung up on me. The only surprising part of this experience was that they hadn't hung up sooner. Well, I did my part in contributing to society by spending time making this account and writing this account to warn all of you. Good luck!

Original review: May 17, 2017

I purchased a "Worry Free" contract for the appliances in my house. Last year my AC unit (covered with the contract) was not cooling properly. PSE&G sent a technician out to repair it. I was told that the unit was bad and I needed to replace it, and unfortunately the contract doesn't cover that. The unit and the entire HVAC system was less than 10 years old. I immediately cancelled the contract. I couldn't afford to replace the unit and it was the end of the summer, so I waited until Spring. I called an HVAC service to replace the unit. They came out and said I definitely didn't need a new unit. It needed repairs that amounted to $2,100. So now I'm out hundreds of dollars in fees for this "Worry Free" contract and now $2100 for repairs that should have been covered. Sounds like a complete scam to me.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Hold time is excessive. PSE&G made an appointment to connect the gas meter. The time given was 8am to 4pm. I had to wait for them to arrive. No one came. Waited all day. No call, no email, and office is closed. This company needs to be held accountable for the lack of morality or respectability. But there is no choice in New Jersey.

Original review: April 10, 2017

In 2014 I had a water heater put in with a 24 month payment plan. This was paid off in 2016. Recently, due to lack of funds I fell behind on my payments for utilities. In setting up a payment plan I was told there was an unpaid charge for an appliance. The only appliance I had with them was the water heater. PSE&G is trying to put a charge on my account that already has been paid off for over a year. They are trying to strong-arm me by putting this already charge on when I set up a payment plan. This is the first I've heard of this because this was paid off over a year ago.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

A few months back I received a notice from PSE&G that they needed to gain access into my home as they were updating pipes. I graciously allowed PSE&G to enter my home. When I arrived home from a conference I had noticed a huge ugly contraption that was actually hissing and steam was coming from it. I called immediately and asked for them to remove the pipe from under my kitchen window. I complained and they came out and removed the pipes. The Supervisor Joe had agreed that the pipes should have never been placed there. Joe had arranged for a crew to come in and correct their mistake. After they replaced the pipes I noticed that my basement gets wet when it rains or snows. I contacted PSE&G again. I was told to get an estimate that I had to pay for and they will take care of it. I obtained the estimate and now PSE&G is refusing to pay for the damages. Can someone please advise me what I should do next?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

As a new tenant for a location, PSE&G asked for my social security, my id, my contract and tell me to send to a specific fax machine **, (TWICE). Afterward, what I got: 1st phone call - "We did not get it, it may take two or more business day." 2nd phone call - "No the 1st one tells you we never get it you should come in." 3rd phone call - "That can be a private fax, just come in." I mean seriously??? YOUR rep tells me TWICE that I can just fax the info into your location and when I did, such sensitive information, that's how you guys handling it? Telling me it's a private fax? And why would your rep tell your customer a PRIVATE fax to get my personal information???

Why would I have to bear the burden of a previous tenant who did not pay THEIR bill??? Just because you think I maybe related to THEM??! Horrible, horrible explanation. Very very fishy and irresponsible operation. If I own a house I would RUN FAR FARRRRR away from this company, OR anyone ASSOCIATED with them! Be warned! They do NOT care about your private information!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

OMG I need HELP!!! I just move to my new house 2 weeks ago, today funny little gas smell was in the first floor, we call PSE&G to see what is wrong!!! This is a nightmare!!! The guy came and do his test, and realized it was gas leak as per him coming from top of my ceiling, we call the plumbing company as per his request. They came to all test, with liquids, bubble, tubes, etc., air pressure. GUESS what? It's PSE&G meter broken!!! Now they said I must wait till next week to fix it. I got 4 dogs and my old mother here, and sister. We don't know what to do. Customer services is horrible!!! Please, please, I need your help!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

PSE&G customer service does not even deserve a star. Something needs to be done. Quick story, my lights and gas were turned off for non payment in which I did not even know I had a shut off notice as they were sending bills to wrong address in which I have no idea how as I have been at the current address for 2 years and have received bills from them previously in the past. Anyway I paid the bill right away but they never restored the gas. I contacted them and after great insults and basically having the agent be so rude to me, I started to wonder what is customer service. My goodness I believe they feel since there is no competition they can talk to people any way they feel. This company needs a good cleaning of their customer service department. I pray something can be done about that department as they feel that they can treat people any way they want. They don't even deserve a star.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I sold my house in NJ in 10/18/2016 and move to Florida. Same day I closed my account. I received my final bill with a credit of $242.07. I called customer service and asked to send me a check to my new address, they said that I'll receive the check in 10 days business days. One month later I called again 11/18/16 and they said they will send the check. Yesterday I called again 12 /7/16 and they said the check was in hold but they don't know for what reason. Almost one and a half month later I don't have my refund yet and I need help with this matter.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I have had three miserable experiences with PSE&G appliance warranty. They came to fix my heating unit, which had coverage, and told me the part in question was not covered. They handed me a brochure as to which parts were covered, which only a plumber could probably understand, and left. Years of paying the premium and no coverage on the heater I am paying for. Ridiculous. I asked them to fix my fridge. They come out evaluate and ordered parts. They come back and tell me the wrong parts were ordered. They come back again and realize they can't fix it. So they give one year of coverage back after paying for the coverage for 10 years. Ridiculous.

They come out a month later to fix the dishwasher. Same experience. They order the wrong part. Order another part then try to charge me $700 for the part even though I have coverage. This warranty service is the most poorly run service I have ever witnessed. Obviously I am dropping all of my covered appliances as the technicians are not capable of fixing the equipment and PSE&G is making a lot of money off of people by letting them think they will have coverage and then telling them they are not covered or they can't get those parts.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I had circulatory pump leaked on my heating system. And I had worry-free since last 3.5 years. I called PSE&G. They came and told me, "IT'S NOT COVERED." No one ever said that this part was not covered. Next day I called again and I was told, "We can upgrade you in premium package since you already have basic coverage, and will send someone next day to fix the circulatory pump." I asked, "How come no one told me before that there are two kind of plans?" She said that people were complaining about the same stuff so we have this plan now. So I agreed to get upgraded.

Next day tech (Charlie) came in and said the same thing, "That is not covered." I told him the whole scenario. He wanted me to call his boss (Joe **) which I did in front of him. Joe rudely told me, "That is pre-existing condition," and he cannot allow his tech to fix it so I told him that "I had basic coverage and your people had upgraded me. Get the problem fixed. You need to talk to your people. It's not my fault." He said, "No we can't do this." So I asked him to take me off the premium package and put me back on basic, and now when I got my bill they have taken me off the basic also.

They are insensitive people. I have worry-free service for almost 4 years and make the payment every month, and when first time I need service they came up with excuses. I got me a licensed heat AC repairman from outside and had the problem fixed. So much for PSE&G's worry-free service. If I did not had paid for worry-free I would've saved much, much more money. Their worry-free is nothing but a scam. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

Despite paying every single bill these greedy scumbags sent me, including estimated bill at five times my actual usage, PSE&G sent someone to disconnect me today. When I caught the "person" tampering with my electric meter I politely asked him what he was doing. The "person" continued tampering with my meter and refused to answer my question. I repeated the questions. He again ignored me. When I tried to resolve his matter, the PSE&G employee repeatedly lied to me. Furthermore, this PSE&G employee made it clear to me that he got his jollies screwing customers. I then had to drive to Hackensack to talk to one of their "customer service" employees, who then had to put in a work order to restore the electrical service that should have never been cut off. When I called PSE&G to complain, they put me on endless hold.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

We've been customers of PSE&G for a long time and have been ok with them and their service until recently. They allow these scam artists alternative energy companies to add on fraudulent services and charges that we NEVER NEVER NEVER wanted. The amount of the gas and electric bill tripled and quadrupled within a six month period. The scam is that you get a letter in the mail from PSE&G telling you that you've signed on with "Constellation" and you have to "opt out" of this within 7 days. This is a criminal fraud being perpetrated on the middle class working person as usual. My mom was in the hospital at this time too! So when Constellation Energy called us to "confirm OUR!!! change in companies" she was home and she said, "NO THANK YOU." Well guess what happened. They lied and said we ordered the change anyway and put themselves on our PSE&G bill!!!

To add insult to injury PSE&G raised our prices X3. This is robbery and elder abuse (scamming people over 60 is a worse crime than under 60 years of age). We have 2 people living in a cape cod size house. Both PSE&G and CONSTELLATION are charging us outrageous amounts all on the PSE&G billing invoice. The amounts are WRONG!!! And you will get no help adjusting the bill from either of these criminal enterprises. So what you have to do after contacting them and listening to their "GOBBLEDYGOOK STORY" about why you owe this amount, is go to the NJ Board of Public Utilities and file a complaint for each of them. Then REPORT THEM TO THE NJ ATTORNEY GENERAL. I'm doing that next.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I have decided to join many different blogs, website, chats etc, to see how many other people are suffering from insanely high electric bills. My bills started at about 150-200 a month. I always thought that that price was fair. However a little more than a year ago my bills started coming 300-400 a month (doubled). I was baffled, nothing had changed in terms of my general electric use. Just yesterday I received a new bill for 1 month $640. I could not believe my eyes!!! Again nothing has changed drastically in my general use, if anything the month of September should be less than the months prior because everyone is back to school and work so the house is empty more than half the day which isn't the case many of the months prior.

There is absolutely no way in the world that my electric bill can be $700 a month. That is not normal. Every time I try to call them the wait is 30 minutes or more, I guess that means other people are having problems as well. I am going to find other unhappy customers and look into filing a CLASS ACTION SUIT. This company is stealing our money and it's time we do something.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Despite my payments, they have shut off my service at least 6 times this year. I have call and complained in regards my bill being extremely high. I lived in a basement, roughly 600 sq ft and during winter my bills were 595.00, 495.00, 533.00 and so on. I called several times and requested a new meter and my unit to be inspected and yet no respond. When I call back to follow up on my request, the new rep has no records of any of my complaints or request for a new meter. I love how quickly they send someone to turned off my power. When this happens I have to jump hurdles to get my power back on. My bill is 662.0 and I called to offer them a payment of 300.00 and they refuse to accept this and continue to keep my power off. When just in July I made a payment of 500.00. I have a 6 year old child and they could care less. So far this year I have made approximately 1,800.00 in payments and have been turned off 6 times.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

We have been a PSE&G customer for such a long time I have lost count. Every time I have to deal with them I cringe. I have had to reset my account password more times that I care to count and the customer service people there are some of the nastiest people I have ever dealt with. My latest "adventure" with PSE&G was a whole lot of fun... We have been making online payments through their website for the past several months, or that is what we thought. For some strange reason the payments have not been going through. Same bank/routing number, nothing changed. There was always money to cover the payment. We never noticed, which in all fairness is our fault, but they never notified us of this either which frankly, is very bizarre.

So recently when my husband went online to pay the bill, he saw the returned payments and called. He straightened everything out and made arrangements to pay it all off. This occurred around 8/26. Then the letters started coming. These letters acknowledge our phone conversation and arranged payment. Since September the first, I have received 97 copies of the same letter. 97 COPIES!!! I receive a stack each and every day! Each letter costs $.39 to mail! We are currently up to $37.93 in postage fees and who knows if they are done! PSE&G is a disgrace.

Updated 10/15/2016 - Since my post on September 20th, PSE&G has come to read my meter at which time I showed the employee my stack of letters from them. His eyes grew wide and he even stated that it was insane! We have since made 2 payments on the agreed payment plan schedule and when my husband tried to pay more so we could get this over with, the system will only allow the "agreed upon amount" which is ridiculous. Oh and as of yesterday 10/14/16 PSE&G has sent me 275 letters stating the original payment agreement made in August. Same exact letter with a different date... no adjustment for payments we have already made. Total postage wasted to date: $107.25. PSE&G goes on gouging everyone for gas and electricity costs yet is able to waste this kind of money on nonsensical letters that are meaningless. I will continue to update this situation because it is so unbelievably ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I called for reconnection at 730pm yesterday. Was told they have until midnight to come out to my home. No one showed up. Called 730 am today and was told drivers resume at 8 am. I watched for a PSE&G vehicle and I saw one pull up in front of my home 915am. He looked up at the window, saw me and proceeded to make a personal phone call... but he told his supervisor he called and no one answered. No phone call no acknowledgement of his work order. My husband walked over to his truck and asked him was here for our address. His response, "YOU GOT THE WRONG GUY", and he pulled off. I immediately called customer service to find out. He said again he called and no one answered. He never called but he was able to have a conversation on his cell phone about someone's mother.

Supervisor told him to make his way back to the address and it is now 1 in the afternoon. So much for the complaint. Maybe he's on his cell phone talking about someone's father now while my food in the freezer is no longer frozen and I have to take a loss on my groceries while he still gets PAID talking on his cell instead of working. Great job PSE&G. When a late payment comes through you're quick to shut off so I guess this kind of service is well deserved, correct? I've been waiting all day and now I have to step out to pick up my daughter from school so let's hope you don't come now.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I chose PSE&G because I have no other choice, and it turns out to be the start of my troubles. From May to August, PSE&G reported my electric usage to be 750 KW h per month on average (or over $120 equivalent). Since I live in a 600 sq ft one bedroom, working outside home 5 days a week, and rarely use AC, I'm almost certain that there's something wrong with my bill. So I started contacting PSE&G. Not only were they extremely unfriendly, but they also insist that it is the hot weather in August that's causing the issue. When I ask them about the bill from May to July, they simply refuse to comment on the issue, saying the bill is not current.

I feel really outraged and helpless as they didn't even tried to offer a solution, which could be as simple as to investigate the meters. That's why I'm writing on this bulletin board, seeking support. By nature, the utility industry is natural-monopoly, meaning the consumers don't have a lot of choices. But I hope the fellow consumers will not remain silent when they see a problem. Let's voice out our opinion, and don't let the utility companies take it for granted!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I am a single mother of two girls. My bill isn't high because I make sure everything is turned off and use heat/air conditioning in moderation, however, no matter what I try it seems my bill is always the same. When I called PSE&G to discuss they say it is accurate but I have never seen anyone read the meter. Also, my bill was 697.93, I was required to pay 500.00 because they turned my service off without notice. This isn't the first time before I was required to pay 480.00 on a 500.00 bill. I don't understand this method when you need to cook/take care of your children... etc. They are not willing to work with you.

Now, this isn't even the basis of my complaint. After paying the majority of the bill @ 7:30 am they still have not arrived to turn the service back on. Which is ironic because when they turned it off it was 9:00 am. I took off of work and wasted a day and they still aren't here. This has happened before and they say their hours are until 12 am however at that time the rep hadn't arrived until 1:30 am. It is really ashamed that they are the only electric company in the area, we should be able to choose who we can go to. They get away with murder and no one seems to care.

PSE&G Company Information