1.82/5

Need a utility company?

New Jersey

436 PSE&G Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Service is horrible to start with. Technician came to fix the AC. Told me the AC has leak and I need to call someone to provide an estimate to find the leak. I called the someone and he is on vacation. I am already into 8 days without AC in this summer. Why the technician did not fix the problem and allowed to walk away. What kind of management this company got who doesn't seems to care about if the service is done are not. Very Very rude and worry service I ever had.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Stayed home for the "scheduled" gas meter replacement which was a no-show. When I called they told me they had canceled me cause they ran out of meters. Of course, they said they notified me - GD Liars!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This took place in my previous home in a Millington NJ. I moved to this home in November 2008. Come December, I smell gas along my front walkway, not surprising as the gas lines are near there. I have PSEG come to investigate three times that winter. They find nothing but I keep smelling gas. The problem goes away in early May when I no longer need. Fast forward to the next December and I smell gas again, call PSEG, they come out on 3 occasions and find nothing. Same spot, same place. I call them annually as the problem doesn’t go away. They come over 3x per winter.

Then one day in March of 2016, I wake up at 7:30 AM, go downstairs and notice a crew is digging up my front yard. Guess what - I go out and say, "Who are you and why are you here? Did it even occur to you to knock on my door?" Turns out a special truck with special equipment was doing a sweep of my street from the road and guess what they found? A gas leak! Now why is it that I could smell the gas leak with my nose for eight years and with all their fancy equipment it took eight years to find it? And how dare they begin work on my property without the courtesy of calling means knocking on my door!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We participated in Puget Sound Energy appliance efficiency program. I wish we had kept our old refrigerator. The new one by Frigidaire was quite a bit smaller than the one we had despite being told we would get the same size. The Frigidaire product is cheaply made. The door handles have broken off, the magnetic strip to keep doors snug to refrigerator are weak so therefore having to check and push tightly to ensure seal and lastly ice builds up in freezer resulting in manually having to defrost it. The motor is loud and I'm afraid it's on last legs. It's only 2 yrs old! This free refrigerator is a scam. I'm going to have to buy another one when I certain my old one would STILL be working.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

PSE&G has lowered their power output significantly so that in the middle of a bad NY heatwave with all the health warning and safety issues I cannot keep my AC from tripping my circuit breaker. The bill is the same and I am sure I will not see a lower utility bill this month yet my utility power has been significantly reduced. We have unplugged and turned off everything and I still do not seem to have enough power to just run one AC. This is a crime and injustice and PSE&G Long Island is nonapologetic in their lack of power.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PSE&G?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I feel sick to my stomach when I think of how much money I have wasted up until now. I have called them for servicing my fridge, oven, stove, dishwasher and every time they would come, didn't have the right part, would return days later and never completely solved the problem, either I had to get someone from outside to fix it or replace the appliance altogether. Well I finally had a big job which was fix my AC, it was the worst sloppiest service ever! The guys seemed clueless, brought wrong parts, left a big mess, and in the end when they said it was fixed, I had a bad feeling about it, called a friend who knew about central air and he pretty much told me that I had to shut it off immediately or my ceiling would start leaking since the job wasn't done right! He was in shock that this is how they left it! After two days of pretending they knew how to fix it and wasting time and energy!! I was beyond upset.

I got an actual AC guy who confirmed what my friend said and I had to pay on my own to have it fixed!!! WTH is the point of owning this when it's never helpful. They hire guys who barely know anything about a topic and not only will they not fix it but they can create addl problems. I’m telling you to not get this! They work on your fear of having a protection, but in the end it’s best to hire someone who is an expert. You will not be saving money because monthly dues add up and when it’s time to have it fixed, nothing! BETTER SAVE THAT MONEY AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Original review: July 18, 2018

We are still dealing with the bill. We are living in a one bedroom apartment in Jersey City and recently are in vacation and of the States. We received the bill last week and it costs nearly a hundred while there's actually no one living there (no AC) and only a refrigerator is running in the whole unit. We called PSE&G and it says this high bill ($80) is because the appliances (which is the refrigerator). Ridiculous.

Resolution response: July 17, 2018

I have updated my review to reflect the conversation I've had with the company about my experiences. I appreciate that they responded well and have said they will work to address these issues. I'm putting "satisfied" because I'm trusting that they will do so. They could have ignored this review and I think it says a lot that they addressed it professionally and in good faith.

Original review: July 15, 2018

If I had a viable alternative to using PSE&G, I would do it in a HEARTBEAT. Bar none, this is the worst customer service I have ever experienced every single time I call. Every interaction has been needlessly antagonistic, and never starting so on my part. Not to mention, the website is ridiculous and getting to a service representative alone seems nigh impossible. The prices for this service are horrible as well. I moved from a different state and PSE&G service and customer treatment is like nothing I've ever experienced - in a bad way. I'd love the free market to come up with a viable alternative (one that isn't even more expensive like the paltry other services I've seen in this area).

Original review: May 9, 2018

I switched to solar a couple years ago and my PSE&G bills have never been HIGHER. My solar panels are generating energy and everyone says they are working fine but my PSE&G bills (which should only be handling charges now) - are 200-300 when they used to be 50-60 bucks PRIOR to solar. I don't own a washer or a dryer, no dishwasher, energy efficient everything. I am completely disgusted. How can they do this? I called them and they told me it was normal - but it's NOT - they do not investigate or care. They said my winter bills are high because of electric baseboard heat - which I DO NOT have. I have natural gas water hydronic baseboard heat which I have always had, and ran every winter, and never did my bills reach 100 in the winter - only since getting solar has my winter bill been so high.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I sent a fax on April 12, 2018 for new gas meter. Called after a week, validated that they received my fax and they said they are back up and will get me a job order once available. I didn't hear anything a week after. Called Monday April 23, 2018 and spoke to the guy that they did not receive my request thru fax and I will need to email them, which I did. I called yesterday April 25, 2018 and spoke to a lady and said they received that original fax from April 12, 2018 and my application is already in line. I called today and spoke to a lady named Shirley, I asked her for a follow up on my application. She said they're still working on application for April 10, 2018 and I have to submit a new application because it was incorrect.

I said, "If I fax a new application can you pls consider using the original date that I faxed the paperwork because I've been waiting so long for this request, been calling almost everyday and no one even bothered to tell me that my application is incorrect." The lady said no. It has to be the date that I submitted it with correct application. I asked to speak to the manager and said he's unavailable. No return call whatsoever at this point. I am very frustrated with their service!

Original review: April 17, 2018

Last month my bill was $99, this month the bill was $221! My habits and daily usage have not changed. During the winter my bill can dip below $100, but during the summer the price all of a sudden spikes. Last August my bill was $450!!! I live in a one bedroom apartment!!! PSE&G tells me this is a normal payment which is **. My sibling lives in Miami and keeps her AC blasting all day long and has never paid anywhere near $100. PSE&G are crooks, plain and simple.

Original review: April 9, 2018

On April of last year our services was disconnected for non-payment. PSE&G employee or the line technician approached my manager on the same day that our service was disconnected and said if we were willing to pay him x amount of money he would reconnect our lights without his boss or anybody else knowing. He said all we had to do was wait for his boss to leave the site and he would go back downstairs in the basement and reconnect us. My manager paid the PSE&G employee. Our life was back on within a half an hour. For a whole year we had no field collection. No phone calls, no bill.

When I brought this attention to a field collector at the whole year of no collection or know anything from PSE&G. The next thing I know PSE&G has gotten in touch with my landlord not I and have arranged to meet the landlord on the premises to go into the basement to cut my services off. My services was disconnected last Friday on April the six. I have called the FTC. I have made a formal complaint with New Jersey State Attorney General. I believe that this culture exist inside PSE&G. I am being stonewalled or trying to start an investigation. I am not having any of my phone calls returned. I have tried to file a complaint with that ethics and conduct department. PSE&G supervisors are not even answering any of my calls and they are not even doing what is inside their own ethics and conduct handbook.

PSE&G employees I believe prey on small business owners as myself when my service was disconnected. I have no problem with that. We was just going to secure the funds and we would have just paid the $2,500 and easily just had our services reconnect it but less than 10 minutes after having a field collector OR technician disconnect our services we were approached by another PSE&G employee in full uniform driving a PSE&G truck who approached my manager and said that if we pay x amount of money he would easily go back in the basement once his boss leave and reconnect style services. After my manager paid him it was back on within a half an hour. For a whole year we didn't have any field collection. No telephone. No any type of correspondence was aware that I know.

Last April 1st next thing I know PSE&G gets in touch with my landlord not me nor my manager nor anybody connected to **. What they did was get in touch with the landlord, make an appointment to turn the service off and take out the meter. I am glad that they took out the meter because PSE&G are going to see that they made it. Has never been tampered with by us. That the only way I was serviced could be your own. Had to be from an employee with an authorized key. I do not have a key to the basement. For the last 23 years of my family written the business at ** we have never had the key and my landlord is very very particular about who he allowed to go into the basement only PSE&G and himself.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I reside in downtown Jersey City, and in the last few weeks, we have been notified about imminent work to upgrade the surface power lines, specifically the replacement of the tall power poles. This morning, as the PSE&G crew was preparing to install the pole across the street from my residence, they cut the internet hard line from my house to the street. Very matter of factly. Could they have taken time to maneuver their truck around? Could they have taken the time to unspool the excess line for more slack to maneuver their vehicle without the need to cut the line? Could they have notified my provider ahead of time to have a technician standing by to repair the cable or even knock on my door to let me know they were going to cut my line? Sure! But they did none of that, and they really couldn’t be bothered when I approached the foreman about it.

Now, not only won’t I have access to the internet for the next 2 days (technicians are e busy), but PSE&G is costing me money out of my pocket as I will have to take time off from work to wait at home for my internet provider to repair the cable. I called PSE&G, but the person on the line could not help in any way shape or form other than to prescribe a course of action I already naturally had to follow (i.e., to call my provide to schedule a repair). I called my internet provider to notify them of the event and they said nobody from PSE&G had contacted them. This has been such a poor breakdown in their communication and an utter and complete disregard for their customers as well as any general consideration for others.

Original review: March 21, 2018

On 3/16/18 while we were out of town a large truck ripped down cable wires thereby pulling our electric wires.The Police called PSE&G... They responded the next day, making temporary repairs and restoring our elect. service. This was amazing in light of all the weather-related problems they have, and we are grateful. We realize we will have to make permanent repairs in the short term. We're appreciative of PSE&G and their great staff.

Good morning Thomas,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. This type of recognition is truly appreciated.

We will pass this information on to the men and women who made this possible.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Long story short - we came over two months ago. Our last bill is $570. The PSEG customer support said it's because our heating system (one AC set to 80F) and he did all diagnostics over the phone (probably even the meter diagnostics... amazing?). The question is - with 3 AC running at 80F we suppose to have $1500 bill or with 3 AC at 70F - $1000? Well, I don't want to try it. This is my experience. Based on my experience I rate PSEG to 1 star. If I have an option to set -5 starts I will do it.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Well as of right now I am sitting in the dark because PSE&G has shut us down. We use to be better at keeping up with our bill but once they added the increase (21%) our bill doubled from what it usually was, which was already too high. Needless to say we tried to get the money together. But before you know it we we're now two months behind. But because of the recent increase in our bill it felt like four months behind. In order to get it turn back on we have to come up with $1200.00 of our then $1780.00 bill. I'm sure it's closer to $2000 now with late fees and interest. That's been my most recent experience. We have been out of power for 3 weeks now but thanks to our great friends we do a couple of generators but with having to buy gas it seems like we won't ever be able to get it back on. At least 1/4 of the families in my town are feeling the same effects that we are.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have been paying worry free on my water heater for many years. When it started shutting off because my power vent was malfunctioning and shutting off the gas and pilot light I called PSE&G. I found out that not only are they not that experienced with power vent heaters they also don't know what's covered and as I found out after 2 weeks waiting for parts and no hot water, practically nothing is covered. It does not pay to cover your water heater under the contract. I had to replace the whole water heater myself, did it cheaper than PSE&G.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

The service people have always been very good. The only place where I have found a bit or lack of top notch are the customer service people on the phone.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Although PSE&G is reliable for service, the company often times will over bill customers. I've been in my apartment over 2 years. Approximately 6 weeks ago, I overpaid my bill by over $100, so that I would not receive a bill for a couple months. Two weeks later, the previous tenant that lived in my apartment received a bill for almost $80, for the same apartment. I know that I have been over billed by PSE&G, numerous times.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

PSE&G has been my utility company for over 50 years. I have no real complaints about the service provided me. They have always been there when needed, once because I smelled gas. They were there right away and the problem was solved.

Good morning Carolyn,

Thank you for the positive feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Have a safe day...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

PSE&G has a tendency to disconnect your services whether you have disabilities or not, they also have bad customer service. An equal payment plan may still be available, however, you'll need to pay them any difference at the end of the year or they may send you a refund if you have overpaid.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Not too impressed with PSE&G. My emails don't get answered, I gave them my PO box # 5 times it was still sent to the wrong box and then when and if I get it, it's now late and a 1.5% interest added. Everyone in my town gets their bill every other month but for some reason I get mine every 30 days and they can't tell me why. My power has been out on several occasions for their so called scheduled outages. I have had food gone bad over this and we all know nothing comes cheap these days. Looks like this company could use a makeover or maybe a makeunder so the people who pay their salaries can afford to live.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

PSE&G has rated high in reliability, good customer service. They did erect large, treated (with chemicals) poles in specific areas of the town without consideration of the town outcry about it. Not upset with rates at the moment but think they are well paid now and would react to any increase in rates.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

There is a constant issue with billing and damage to personal property without proper follow up. You should pay those whose property you damage as diligently as you expect them to pay you. PSE&G "We don't care. We don't have to." seems to be the mission of this power company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Great service and helpful. I love PSE&G because I have machines that are life threatening and they got to keep my service on which is a good thing for me. So hooray to them.

Good morning Denise,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, it is truly appreciated.

Have a safe day.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Never issues, if there are they take care of it right away. But I don't like the fact that the bill continually goes up for no other than corporate greed.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

They have been billing me for a NYSERDA loan paid in full since August. With every phone call someone else promise to figure it out. They don't talk to each other.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Has anyone EVER had a positive experience with PSE&G's WorryFree protection contract? Perhaps I should be blaming myself for blindly paying into it monthly only to call them today for the first time in 16 years and find that my issue isn't covered. Tech said for hot water heater coverage they only repair where the pipes enter the unit. How did I get this info wrong? If the unit itself fails or needs repair you are on your own. Did they change the coverage rules, as I do not believe this was the case when I originally signed up - because I wouldn't have signed up. Contract has now been CANCELLED.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

We had power outage and I called PSE&G and the lady on the phone told me that we are aware of outage. When I told her the outside temperature is 25-30 degrees and we have a baby at home and I’d like to know when technicians will be there, rudely she told me she won’t give me an ETA and hung up the phone on me. We just moved to NJ area from Texas and PSE&G is one of our worst experience in NJ. Poor customer service and expensive price. Our rates with PSEG is 7 times more than our rates with utility company in Texas. Unfortunately, we rent this place and PSE&G is our only option. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

This is a complaint. Called to settle an account for the business I work for, not own, only to be met with sarcasm and annoyance from the customer rep. Being that I work in customer service and this was for a business, the reaction I had was appalled. This individual who only called herself Kaitlin sounded as if she did not want to be bothered. PSE&G only has a one-star rating on ConsumerAffairs, leads me to believe that their customer service representatives are not trained well in ethics, or patience. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that she cannot let me and would ask for me. I called to set up a payment plan and was told no even though the automated prompt did. I only waited for a rep because the automated prompt got the amount wrong.

If this company is not willing to work with their customers, as I can see from other reviews, then I suppose they will continue to not care about their customers. It's sad to watch a company have no respect for their customers, business or otherwise. My conclusion is that while we sit here to try to gain the respect of a company who would rather not give it to their customers, the big "men" of this company can line their pockets with the money of these customers and not blink an eye. Very disappointing.

PSE&G Company Information