New England

1.2/5 (465 ratings)

About National Grid

National Grid Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: March 3, 2022

Back in November 2021 I tried to pay my electric bill online. When the webpage appeared to be stuck and the payment not posting I called customer service to make the payment instead. The following week I see that National Grid deducted the payment twice. After calling numerous numbers and speaking with one particularly nasty woman who yelled at me and told me that it was my own fault for trying to pay it online and then calling customer service (which I had gotten her name), I ended up having to go through my bank directly for an unauthorized ACH in order to get the duplicate payment refunded to my checking account. The customer service rep at the bank couldn't believe it.

In December my bill was $132.07 higher - this was the amount I had PAID in November (even though they deducted the payment from my bank account twice and I went through my bank ONLY to get back the DUPLICATE payment). National Grid adjusted my bill to show as if I had never made a payment in November. Now it is March 2022 and my bill is still incorrect every month. I have made numerous calls since December and have gotten nowhere. They are a horrible company with horrible customer service.

Original review: March 2, 2022

This company is a complete joke. Wanted to pay my bill, but I had some questions because it was unusually high. Attempted to contact them. Called every number I could find multiple times- wait on hold for over an hour OR no answer. Sent emails. No response. In the meantime, another bill comes. I'm still trying to get a hold of them; without success- now I get a disconnect notice. I'm forced to pay without the opportunity to question/challenge the accuracy of the charges or get disconnected. Scrupulous business practice in my opinion. Filing a complaint with the Utility Commission.

Get buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

For the first time in my life I've had an electric bill over $300 in one month. Delivery service $153.71, Total supply service $142.23 and Gross earnings tax $12.33 for a total of $308.27. So much for updated everything and cutting back. If I didn't I'm sure my 1000 sq ft home would probably be over $500.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I cannot sign in, changed the password, and it tells me it's the wrong password. Telling me the answer to my security question is wrong... IT'S MY GRANDMOTHER'S FIRST NAME... I KNOW MY GRANDMOTHER'S FIRST NAME.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

We woke up at 4:00 a.m. the morning that a big blizzard hit the East Coast. Our power had gone out at 4:00 a.m. by 6:00 a.m. the power was back on we were ecstatic. We assumed that when it went off at 4:00 it would be off throughout the entire storm and thankfully National Grid had it up and running that morning and we never lost power after that. We were so impressed and very happy. It was in the midst of the blizzard we heard the transformer blow up. They were on it. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

National Grid DOES NOT HAVE a good company policy in place to PREVENT A FRAUD. They unlawfully collect the money from the people whom THEY DID NOT PROVIDE the services. I had abusive tenants who intentionally did not transfer National Grid bills on their names. I contacted National Grid and explained that I never occupied the house and current tenants signed the lease to pay rent and utilities but they intentionally did not pay anything to live for free while keeping two full-time jobs. National Grid refused to resolve the issue.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I was having multiple problems understanding my bill, changing address, finding account numbers. When I called I spoke to a young man named Joey. He calmly walked me through every issue I had. He was professional, upbeat and had a great sense of humor. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Confirmed day/ time between 8am - 4pm for them to manually turn on power. At 3:45 pm, freezing house & no power. No one ever came. They LIED in reasoning saying "load not off". I made sure the main breaker was off @ 7am.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

For 2 weeks I called Nat Grid to confirm moving details and I spoke to 4 different reps with each giving me different incorrect info. I opened my account in 2012 when I bought the house. Now in 2021 I’ve sold it. Buyer can’t get account in their name because in 2007 an inspection was due based on work that owner had done that required an inspection. NO one told me this until a day before the house was scheduled to close. So now the city of Buffalo has to do the inspection. But I can’t reach anyone in the elec insp dept so; needless to say, the house is not closing until the inspection is resolved.

Nat Grid has the worst, most uninformed customer service reps EVER. If they had told me about this two weeks ago everything would have been resolved. They created a situation that is so unacceptable words cannot describe. Because of something that happened in 2007 (15 years and 2 owners ago) they won’t let the new buyer open an account; therefore, the house cannot close due to National Grid's incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

Every time I try to pay my bill online, the website is so slow and the page doesn't open at all. Whoever created and designed the payment page needs to quit and be replaced already. Please hire someone else to fix it. It's annoying.

National Grid author review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team