1.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 44 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

424 National Grid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I set up a date to have my service switched because I moved with a customer service representative. On that day no one arrived. I called and was told there was a mistake and it was not put in the system. They would not turn it on for another 7 days. I have spent $1,400 to move and have no extra money to go anywhere else. At 5 degrees out in December I was told no one could do anything and me and my family including my three-month-old daughter and two year old Chihuahua would have to sit in a 5 degrees freezing house for days. I was told I should go to a shelter if I felt we got too cold. We are currently trying to deal with freezing and waiting for another few days to have electricity and heat. I was told no one could do anything at all. No other appointments could be moved around. No one could do anything.

I was told that if I didn't pay my bill and it was disconnected they would be able to turn it right back on but because I pay my bills my family has to freeze. Because this company is a monopoly there are no other choice is to choose a company that may not want their customers to freeze for 7 days have all their food go bad. And risk everyone's health. I was told that if somebody is on oxygen or requires an apparatus to keep them alive they would still not turn the electric on that person could go to the hospital. I am beyond disgusted. I have no words. This is a company that we are forced to use that has no empathy does not care about their customers and blatantly says they don't care if their customers are on death's doorstep it's not their problem.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I am very disappointed with their service. Our neighborhood is constantly losing power. We pay a premium rate and there are times where we are out of power for days. Today is one of them. I wish Billerica would just offer their own power service instead of using them. I just don't think that National Grid has the equipment or interest to service power outages.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

This is by far the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. When starting my service with them, as they are the only utility service available in RI, it wasn't too bad. After my first bill, things just went quickly downhill with them. Their fees end up totaling more than the actual gas or electricity usage itself, so you pay a LIHEAP fee, a usage fee just for being a customer, energy saving program fees, among others. Typically my fees add up to at least $40-50 per month and my actual gas or electricity usage is only around $40. I'm on the "low income" rate for electric, but that only takes off one fee that adds up to about $3-5 per month. How does that help a low income family in any way?

I've had to contact them numerous times when unable to pay my bill to set up infant protection, as I have a 10 month old in the house. It took from August to November for them to finally approve it, even though I kept sending in the correct proofs they asked for (birth certificate, financial hardship form, proof of income). My only income at the time was child Support, so they kept asking for my tax forms even though I don't receive any forms for child support. Then they denied me because I didn't send proof of government assistance, which they never requested, and I only receive SNAP benefits, which cannot be counted as income as it only pays for food. I called and spoke with at least 15 different customer service reps within the company trying to sort out the mess, and each rep told me something different in regards to what was required of me to send in as proofs for the infant protection.

After speaking with one service rep, I was absolutely appalled at the way I was spoken to regarding my service and my bill. She informed me I was only approved for financial hardship, due to the child support being my only income at the time, and that although I had an infant under 2 in the house I was not eligible for infant protection. She then went on to state that I NEEDED to make a payment or I would lose both gas and electric service, even though it was after November 1st and they cannot shut off service if you have financial hardship. When I told her I was awaiting a large payment from child support (I had not received anything since mid-August), and that I would make payments once I received that she was incredibly rude.

She went so far as to say "ma'am if you don't make a payment they will shut you off. You need to show good faith in paying on your part. You can't expect to get gas and electric service for free just because you have kids, that's not how things work. As of November 6th you will be shut off unless you set up a payment arrangement." After reading the statement on the back of the bill about infants in the house, she rudely hung up on me. When trying to find out the correct paperwork to send to verify things for infant protection, one young guy told me to call 211, which is United Way, to find out if I had infant or financial hardship protection because he didn't know how to access my information to verify over the phone. After telling him that the phone number was for United Way, and in no way affiliated with National Grid, he got upset and hung up on me.

National Grid is currently harassing me daily with phone calls stating there has been a change in the status of my account (they want to disconnect service but cannot due to infant protection). I get at least one call every day from them about this, even after I have spoken to yet another service rep to let them know I do not have any income at the moment, I am again awaiting child support payments and when I receive one I will split it between both bills.

They still call and harass me though about not having paid recently. Not sure if they can do that considering I have protections on my account and have verified I personally have no income, as the child support goes to support the needs of my children. Typically at least one payment per month goes to bills since it directly benefits and satisfies one of the children's major needs, but I cannot pay with money I do not have at this time. If I could give this company 0 stars, I would without question. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I called National Grid to have service transferred to my name on a new home I purchased. The customer service rep explained he was having a problem and would call me back. 2 days later they came out and cut the gas line and then told me it’s 6 weeks to restore service and I would need a plumber. Also there is an employee named John who is responsible for the crew that cut the lines. He seems to have some personal issue. A representative came to my house November 1. John instructed them left the ** out of there. He didn’t know the employee's phone was on speaker. I’m still waiting for gas and National Grid is all wait time when you call. Horrible service. 62 Porterfield Freeport New York.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

There was a storm on October 29, 2017 where a power line was taken down by a tree. I contacted National Grid on October 30, 2017 to report the power outage and the wire being down. I received a call from a National Grid employee stating that the previous employee that went out to fix the issue did not do it properly. In fact the employee did illegal work on my property. The employee then told me that I need to call National Grid and report the issue and request for a district engineer to be sent out and install a new pole on my property.

When I called National Grid they said someone would call me within in 4 days to schedule an appointment. It is now November 17, 2017 and nobody from National Grid has called to help me resolve the issue. I have called over 10 times to request help because I have two children ages 9 and 3 with disabilities. The temperature has been dipping below what any human can withstand without heat and National Grid does not have a sense of urgency to help me resolve the issue. I still do not have power and it is unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have a 11 month old. I have been trying to Get infant protect since birth, I'm currently unemployed due to health issues with my son that's causes me to miss work, so my husband pays the best he can for us. I had sent in all the information only to be denied 4 times but never sent me a letter explaining why or even when I called them I got switched to so many different people, finally got a answer as to why we were denied.

It's because they needed a fourth income so I said, "Why am I being told this after so many times calling and no one having answers, how am I supposed to know you need that if there's no communication," after all that I explain I'm not working and they tell me I need proof that I'm not working... "How in the world do I do that," I asked him. He switched me to four different people. I was on the phone for 3 hours. No one could help me... They sent me a shut off for the 22ND and they came to my house On the 13th And handed me notice for 48 hours to turn off my gas, I was so upset. I just honestly just don't know what to do. I have a small children and they clearly don't care if we freeze to death or not bathe.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

We Massachusetts residents pay a lot for electricity, National Grid Electric customer service has gotten much worse in the last year or two. The technicians that come out to your house are also less competent than ever?? We need some competition, and other providers!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

For roughly a week the power in my apartment would flick on and off for seemingly no reason. At the end of that week we were hit by a storm knocking out the power for me and most residents of southern RI. It took several days before I got power back and at the time of my writing this some people still don't have power. Now I understand that they don't control the weather and sometimes stuff just can't be helped, but it was just a storm. Not a hurricane or even a tropical storm. They let their equipment go into disrepair and then fix it just enough to get it working again rather than properly fixing it and utilizing maintenance.

Enough so the company they were going to merge with years before backed out once they saw the state of disrepair their equipment is in. All the while they are happy to keep taking your money and even raise their rates. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is, I believe that if they had actually maintained their equipment properly, the amount of people affected and time without power would have been significantly reduced.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I am paying $0.26 per kW. Of this $0.087 per kW is what I am paying to my provider. Why am I paying $0.173 per kW for delivery? Something is not right here. National Grid customer service told me they are complying with local state government. So is my state government protecting National Grid so they can charge the consumers so much for delivery? Something is not right here. In my opinion delivery charges should be no more than 25% of the provider charges which is $0.022 in my case.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have been on the phone for 2 hours today with NG gas. I've have been switched around 5 times! Each representative says something different. I can't get their last name or operator number which is absurd. How is NG going to know if the operator is doing a good job if we can't review the phantom ghost? That's the reason our rates are so high, bad job performance results in higher prices for us the suckers on the street level. Get rid of the higher ups and change the system to higher friendly people that want to help customers not blow them off the phone.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Last week I came home to find my power was turned off due to $194 bill not being paid. I always pay my bills on time if not early. I never received a notice of a past due bill. I paid it and my power was turned back on. Today I get a message saying my bill is ready. I called and asked what bill as I have not received a bill. Then I find out that they have been sending to the street address but to the next city over from me for some reason. The girl changes that for me then I ask about paying as it might be too late when I get a bill. She tells me that there is a $46 fee for turning power back on. Talked to customer service girl and she just said, "You have to pay it." Asked to talk to her supervisor and was told I would be told same thing. She emailed supervisor with my complaint. It is not my fault that they for some reason changed the city and I should not have to pay the $46.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

As a new customer I was very surprised how difficult it was to pay a bill. I was told automatic bill paying cannot happen until you establish a record of use so in the meantime I had to come up with another means; a call... Nope! Extra charges with that mode. A local office? Nope... Miles away. Local access? Only $1.99 for the luxury of paying my bill at a 7/11? Now I'm supposedly on-line after providing a LOOONNNGGG identification code from my checkbook. Wonder if I'll be charged extra for that too. Have they EVER heard of the concept of customer service? I think not. This system is so antiquated and is designed to create a revenue stream from nothing. Who gets the cash generated from this sleazy system? Bizarre and difficult all around.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Every year they raise the rates for energy in Rhode Island and our Public Utilities Commission rubber stamps it. I switched out to another energy supply company called Ambit and never looked back. Bye-Bye National Grid!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Where to begin: first, called Customer Service to make a payment arrangement and they say it's all set. Next day they come to shut off electricity. Apparently, the arrangement was only for gas. Not to mention there is a 1 year old living here which is against RIGL. Second, my bill was tripled because they added my former roommate's past bill to mine because I was living there at the time. Even though the bill was not in my name.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I do not even want to get into why they would turn off my gas service to my home but upon paying, more than the minor "past due" amount they failed to turn my service back on within the 24 hour time period as required by New York State. Their customer service is extremely rude and it takes more than 24 hours to speak with a supervisor. If you are in Long Island and are thinking of switching to natural gas, do not do it! You will be subjected to a corporate monopoly filled with uneducated buffoons.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I was moving and I had to get National Grid to come and get a meter reading. They gave me a window and I reworked my whole schedule around it to be at my old empty apartment at that time. Not only they didn't come nor call, they charged me $61 for the visit. I called and complained and the agent told me that I will get a callback by a supervisor. That never happened. I called again... and again... and again, each time getting the same response that a supervisor will call me back. I have given up.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Customer service is the worst. I made a payment through Chase, but since it didn't arrive because it takes 5 days which I was not aware, they closed my gas leaving my family without gas which means no food, no shower in this hot days. When I called up customer service he was so nasty, in middle my conversation he start singing and hung up the phone. Disgusting!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Yes so today I received a phone call from a collection agency that told me I owed $60 balance on my National Grid account so I paid that. I called up National Grid. They told me that they're having me shut off owing a balance of $55 if not paid. I don't know how I can get harassing calls or calls every month about shutting off when I always like $100 for this month's bill. You people keep calling people over and over again. My bill was paid last month and I got what three or four phone calls from you people. Give me a break. If I could join a different electric company I absolutely would!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I pay all my bills religiously every month, but somehow National Grid always says I am late, or still owe more from last month even though the bill shows my payment. It’s so confusing I can never figure it out. When you can get someone on the phone they make you more confused and say somehow I am paying late. This is the only company I have a problem with, I truly believe they are doing something wrong but do not know what to do.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I paid my bill for electric services in full on Weds (8/3). I get home from work on Thursday to see that my service has been cut for failure to pay. I call National Grid Customer Service immediately and indicate that I paid my bill on Weds in FULL, and my service was cut on Thursday. How is this possible? Is there no check in the system to see if the bill has been paid prior to cutting service. I call and have my service reinstated after the customer service rep sees my bill has a 0 balance. I then find out that my service will be cut back in, in a 24 hour time period. 24 hours of no electricity in the middle of the summer, when I had paid my bill in full the day prior. How does this make sense?

The customer service staff at NG have been great and helpful to the best of their abilities but the policies and the way they NG reacts to its own mistakes is so unacceptable that I'd change services if it were possible. In no way did they expedite my order to the techs to turn my service back on. In no way did I receive a formal apology about MISTAKENLY turning my service off. To top it all off they want to charge me approx $50 to turn the service back on that should have never been discontinued in the first place.

I am so angry and feel so helpless in this situation. The fact that they incorrectly disconnected my service, and then went about righting their wrong as if I had just paid my bill on Thursday after my service was disconnected is so unacceptable. My service should have never been disconnected to begin with, and NG should do everything in their power to fix this issue more quickly than in a 24 hour period especially when they are so obviously at fault.

Original review: July 20, 2017

National Grid has the worst customer service phone line. They let you waiting and waiting for more than 15 minutes. Nobody answers, and the top of that the music is awful. Most people like me only have a cellphone and we need to pay for the extra minutes we used. National Grid does not respect or value the consumer time or money. For the high cost service they charge us, they should have money to pay more people to answer the phone. National Grid is the worst company in Mass. It is not fair for us not having more alternatives for our electricity.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I accidentally cut a gas line on my property that was installed only 10 inches below the surface while planting a small shrub with a 6 in. root ball. Nat Grid people came and fixed the leak and stated at that time that I was not liable because the line was not installed properly. It must be installed at least 24 in. deep for safety reasons. Now they are saying that I owe them $2902 for the incident because I did not have a safe dig receipt. Isn't Nat Grid responsible here for putting my family's lives in danger for installing a gas line so close to the surface that explosions are more than likely to occur. Your thoughts, please?

Original review: June 29, 2017

I am outraged at the terrible service by National Grid. I am stuck with them because of the service area. If I could switch companies I would. It has been 3 days of constant phone calls and still NO service. Day 1- called to set up new service, get meter installed and service connected. After 7 redirected calls, one to all Spanish speaking person, another to customer service rep with zero volume on her phone only to be told to complete form for watts/amps/phase 1 or 3. No form sent. This is a simple 1500 sq ft mobile home in an area with pole. Guess they do not know this after multiple explanations. Day 2, multiple redirected calls only to be told that the housing inspector must approve installation. This has been done! The sticker is on the box for the meter installation! Still no response from National Grid.

Day 3 - back to multiple redirected calls only to get the person to tell me once again about amps, watts, voltage, phase 1 or 3. Said she would send form for completion, never came. Still no service. Cannot even begin to wonder what they will charge me. I am a senior citizen. Why is this such an issue. Whatever happened to customer service. Why can't I call, tell them to install meter and connect service. Pretty simple. New construction, new mobile home. I am not looking for connection to a nuclear power plant. They are in the electric business of providing electricity. Do they not know what a simple 1500 sq ft mobile home fully constructed and delivered to site uses. Why am I stuck paying for their stupidity and all the stupid people they hire! Dumbing down of society! Tomorrow. Day 4!

Original review: June 20, 2017

Today I am mailing - for the second time - the form to get automatic withdrawal for paying bills. I will have to wait two more billing cycles for it to take effect. I already went through this in April when I told them I was changing banks. They didn't set it up like they said it would so the bills didn't get paid last month. Now I have to wait until I have a zero amount on my acct.. Today more than an hour wasted talking to computers and dimwitted people in the billing dept.. National Grid is a monopoly so they don't really give a care for their customers. Wish I could go back to candles and the woodpile for my energy.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I don't even know where to begin. I put in an electronic request upon signing my lease, which was on a Friday afternoon. I would have called but their customer service line is closed by 5 pm which in itself is absurd. Anyway I called on Monday for confirmation (closed on the weekends - also absurd) and I talk to the most unhelpful human on earth. This person called me ma'am every 4 seconds and asked if my number was correct multiple times in a row which made me feel like I was speaking to a robot.

My utilities couldn't be turned on for a few days after which was inconvenient and I was immediately asked for a new customer fee of $250. Unbelievable. Then the day comes for my electric (just electric, not gas) to be turned on and guess what? I get home to no electric. Again, I can't even believe this. And now I'm forced to find time during my 9-6 work day to call these degenerates to find out why the hell no one turned on my electric. I mean, why is this so hard?? My fiance had to take time off work just to meet them between 8-4 (wtf kind of window is that??) Overall this experience has been disgusting. Coming from California where the service was excellent and only a days wait, I don't even understand how National Grid is a company at all. We need more options, and more human interaction.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I received a notice about 2 months ago on my door, National Grid needs to change my meter. I forgot to call back. A couple weeks later 1 received a notice 2 days in a row, but I get home at 6 pm and the hours are not convenient to call them. I came home the next day and my gas was turned off. My account is current and No notice saying they would be turning off my gas, just turned it off. I called for them to turn back on, but of course it was late and no one was answering, so I had to call back next morning at 7 am. Rep came and turned on and said they didn't know why they just turned it off on us, and they should have came back prior night to turn back on. So that was all an inconvenience, I was very upset with the situation, but what was done was done.

I go to pay my bill today, and to my surprise, there is an "adjustment" for $165. No explanation, just a bill. When I called they explained I was billed 3 years for my meter running slow and that was their calculation. So I continue to ask questions to get an understanding of why 3 years and how did they calculate. Rep stated meters last for 7 years, so I replied that my house is 10 yrs old and why didn't they change it after 7 years instead of billing me when they changed it 3 years too late. So, the rep explained the meter was damaged and running slow. They do not know when it was damaged, but they are allowed to bill back up to 3 years.

So after this conversation I concluded, the meter was damaged and they don't know when that happened, so because they can bill up to 3 years back, that's what they did, with no explanation on my bill, just expect me to pay $165 without questioning it? I am waiting for a manager to contact me to hopefully explain this to make sense, because right now, all I can tell is that National Grid is literally billing based on numbers that do not exist. They are guessing, and I'm supposed to pay for it? Anyone else have any experience like this and what was the outcome?

Original review: May 31, 2017

We bought our home in Huntington, Long Island in 1968 and have never had a problem with either or electric or gas companies. We never had a problem at all with KeySpan, which was our gas provider before National Grid of the United Kingdom bought KeySpan in 2007. After that everything went downhill. National Grid is a horrible company. The Customer Service is horrible! A few years ago I was sent a notice saying that I did not owe anything because I had overpaid. I received this notice for several months. However, to my great shock I then received a bill saying that I owed almost $2,000.00!!! This year, 2017, I have been paying $148.00 as I am on the Budget Billing plan. Then I was sent a bill April 4 for $88.00. Then I received a bill April 5 saying that $214.00 was the payment due. When I called to find out what was going on I was told that they change the rate every three months.

The following month May 3 I received a bill again for $214.00, the second bill in the amount of $214.00. When I received the new bill on May 27, 2017 for the billing period April 18, 2017 to May 17, 2017 the amount shown that I have to pay is $366.18!!! I have tried to speak to Customer Service to find out what is going on and to ask if there is anything they can do to break this down as I am living on a fixed income, none of the women who answered the phone sounded like they were interested in helping me at all. The last one told me she was going to get a supervisor for me to speak to, put me on hold and never came back... I was holding on for at least 20 minutes!!! They are a horrible company; and they treat their customers badly and do nothing to help. Something has to be done asap to stop this! With so many millions of Americans unemployed when our economy crashed in 2008, a cold, uncaring gas company has no place in our midst.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I received a letter in the mail that every 15 years the gas meter needs to be replaced and to call and set up an appointment to have it changed. Ok, no problem I thought. I call and the women on the phone wanted my social number because I didn't have my account number. Not the last four the whole number. After arguing with her for a few minutes, in more or less words I told her to screw. Someone called me back about a week later and apologized. So the appointment was set up.

Now I find out that they don't work on the weekends. I also have to take a FULL day out of work because their time of arrival is in between 8 am-5 pm. Not like every other company that calls you the night before and gives you a three, four or five hour window at most. So now I have to sit here and lose $240.00 (a day's pay) because National Grid sucks! One more thing, their gas prices are so ridiculous, that I'm paying more for the delivery than I'm paying for the actual gas itself.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Received a letter saying they could not read my meter. Called and was told I had to stay at home for 4 hours to let someone in. We scheduled the appt. After 3 hours I called to see if they knew when someone would be coming and was told I was not scheduled at all. Transferred to supervisor who concurred there was no one scheduled and set up visit for another day and said if I was not here I would be charged a no show fee. I wasn't credited for their no show! But then, I went out and while I was out SOMEONE FROM NATIONAL GRID CAME! When I called they said, "Ok, but you already have another appointment." When I asked who to write a complaint to, he put me on hold for 15 minutes, every few minutes getting back on the line apologizing, saying he could not find out who could help me.

Original review: May 5, 2017

First, what is this delivery charge?? It costs more than my electric usage! Because of this charge it's like I'm paying 2 bills every month. I barely use any electricity because the rate is so high! Heat on lowest possible setting and sit in the dark most of the time. Idk what else I can do to lower it! My bill has reached 3200! It's around 500 monthly with a few months even higher. I pay what I can which is never 500 so my bill is always in arrears. This is impossible how are we supposed to live like this? It's robbery! Then I make payment arrangements on April 4. 800 down 300 a month ON TOP OF my regular bill every month for 6 months! 2 weeks later I get a letter saying I defaulted on my arrangement and if I don't pay 600 now they will schedule termination! It hasn't even been a month! Wtf?!

Electricity is a necessity. If you don't have it DSS can actually take your kids and call it neglect and we have no choice in companies. How is this even legal?? WE NEED CHOICES in utility companies to force them to keep rates competitive instead of taking advantage of people because they're greedy! I'm 9 months pregnant and alone and terrified they're going to shut me off when I'm in the hospital! They told me I can't get assistance until after I receive the baby's birth certificate which could take weeks. Idk wtf I'm going to do. Bring a newborn home to no electricity?? I want to move to Alaska and build a cabin where it's acceptable to live within your means and not a crime to heat your own way. Something has to be done about this asap! How can the government allow this??

National Grid expert review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

• Best for: customers wanting an electricity provider who cares about sustainable practices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout