1.57/5

New England

460 National Grid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've moved twice in NYC with National Grid being my gas service provider and I've had numerous problems. Their website is straight from 1996. Their direct pay system seems intentionally convoluted and often straight up doesn't work at all so you have to go through whatever side deal they have going on with Western Union (extra fee of course!) The customer service is nightmarish and unhelpful. Once you navigate the labyrinth of automated computer customer service reps you will undoubtedly be directed to the wrong person who will put you on hold for 20 minutes before transferring you to another wrong department who will again put you on hold again.

They've literally shut my gas off 2 separate times due to clerical errors on their end. They do this without warning and then fixing their own mistake requires you to be home between the hours of 8-6. Living in NYC and working most jobs here makes that extremely difficult. Horrendous company. The only company worse to deal with is Time Warner (or whatever they change their name to this year) 0/10.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I called them twice. First time they JUST transferred me twice and they told me to provide my gas number or something or they couldn't help me, which made sense. I got the number, called them again the next day. I got transferred FOUR ** TIMES with spending 2 ** HOURS and they STILL trying to transfer me. I asked them why am I keep transferred they go "I just can't help you". You know what? Kiss my ** and go ** yourself.

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We moved on August 1. We received a confirmation email regarding electric transfer of service, but nothing on gas. We called and they told us we were all set. Now, mid-September, we contact them again: "Where is our bill?" Oh, we never transferred services! Both utilities are still in the landlord's name! This company and its customer service reps are nothing but a joke!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Where to begin? 1. They "forgot" to close out my old electrical account, then tried to bill me for someone else's power. I found out they combined my old & new accounts & old & new addresses so everything was tangled up. When I called to complain their employees would either hang up, tell me to call back, or send me to disconnected numbers.

2. Every time I tried to make a gas payment (online, by phone, etc) it got rejected due to "service issues." Then they tried to shut my service off. I set up a payment plan once the balance got too large, then they changed the terms of the plan without telling me & rejected my payments. 3. They routinely wait days, even weeks, to accept my payments, which throws all my finances into chaos, as I'm on a limited budget. I never know when they'll post the payment. I ended up having to get both my city hall & the Mass. Attorney General's office involved to solve #s 1 & 2. The company is a joke. It is an absolute disgrace.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Their customer service is what you would expect from a monopoly. They have no invested interest in better performance since we have no viable options for alternative service. I have been trying to talk to customer service for 11 minutes and am still being told that is still more than 10 minutes (been told that for 8 minutes). I had to go through 3 different menu's to get to the point where I have to wait endlessly to talk to someone to just ask a simple question. This is outrageous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

National Grid employee cut the service to a restaurant, but due to employee mistake they cut service to our restaurant as well. Call already to report the problem 10 hours ago, nobody came to fix it, in the meanwhile business is close and employees have to be sent home. People at National Grid do not care, hope this company disappears, and a good company take it over. I really wish this is not a monopoly and we can choose to change to another company, really bad service from National Grid.!!?

Original review: July 17, 2018

National Grid is by far the worst electric/Gas company in the world. If I was able to enroll with another provider I would. The rates are ridiculous and the employees are extremely rude. I can't get any help. I am expected to pay over $1400 to keep my services on while I wait for my income documents to be reviewed. That is impossible for me due to my income. My rent is $800.00. There are no other options. If only National Grid was able to make accommodations for people who really need them. This is not fair at all.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I been trying to talk to a supervisor for days unsuccessfully. The customer service representatives are rude and unhelpful. It seems that is impossible to get in touch with someone that would be able to help with my concern.

Original review: June 17, 2018

National Grid chose to clear cut a wide swath of trees and shrubbery to make way for new power lines. My neighborhood now looks like a **. For a company whose CEO make 8 million dollars a year you would think that they would come up with a better ecological strategy than stripping every stick of vegetation down to the dirt. Since the railroad tracks are just on the other side of this devastation the noise level is horrendous. I gave this company one star because they don't have negative ratings.

Original review: June 5, 2018

First of all, I do not understand why National Grid still has a two-star overall. I need to create an account and set up my meter. The whole process is extremely painful. Calling the customer service number takes forever. The person either did not pick up, or claimed couldn't hear me and hung up, or asked me to wait a moment but instead hanged up on me again. After calling them about 10 times, I finally was able to set up an appointment (despite they also claimed that never received my email and asked me to resend).

The next day, I got a call from someone from Nationa Grid coming in my apartment to set up the meter. I asked the person to go to the leasing office instead because only they have the access to the meters. Waited for hours, I did not hear any response, so I called National Grid again. They told me that the person reported he couldn't get in the building and there was no one there so he just left. I don't know how to react to such ridiculous service and logic. National Grid needs to understand how much they suck at treating their customers. Not because they are a national wide gas and electricity company so they can just do whatever. It is not how monopoly works. I give National Grid a zero-star. Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Just got off the phone with National Grid and I am furious! I wanted to take my deceased brother's name off of his account and put it under my name. Should be simple, right? But no... First I was told that the last numbers of his SS# were incorrect (they weren't). They also had an incorrect phone number for him. Then finally after giving them the amount paid on his last bill and repeating his account number again I was told I needed to write a letter stating my brother is deceased, get it NOTARIZED and fax it to whoever. I asked if I could mail it since it would be easier than tracking down a fax machine but was told only faxed copies are acceptable. Really???

Finally I told the customer service rep to just forget it and that I would keep the account under my brother's name. I had been paying the bill for several months and they certainly didn't mind cashing the checks under my name. I hesitated for a long time in calling them because I know what a nightmare it was going to be after hearing about experiences from relatives and friends. And they were so right! I do want to say that I don't blame the customer service representatives that have the misfortune of working for this company. The young lady I spoke with was very polite and tried to help the best she could. I understand that they have their rules for security but this was beyond ridiculous.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This is beyond ridiculous. They refuse to take my deceased uncle's name off of our account, and put it into my name. It has been like this for years. We came home to find a lock on our meter and our power off. We called National Grid, they really had no explanation for it (since we had a receipt for payment) and told us they would not be out that day but would come the next day between 8 am and 4 pm to turn it back on. At 3:45 pm we called - after 20 minutes of being put on hold and switched from person to person, they had no explanation and refused to commit to a time when they would be out to turn the power on. We are on day 3 with no power. I feel like we are living a nightmare. They can do things like this with absolutely NO repercussions because they are literally the only game in town. What are we going to do, stop giving them business? We can't. National Grid is a monster.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I must say that your company treats clients as crap and worth absolutely nothing. For your FYI, clients pay the salaries for every employee in your organization.

Here is my frustration. Two of your geniuses showed at my house on April 7th after a call that my wife made to 311 for gas leak. Fire Department came in and surveyed the premises and confirmed there was a leak somewhere by the stove. Then they called National Grid which the two geniuses showed up after the fire crew left. Your staff told my wife that there is no leak in this house and when my wife mentioned that the fire department did confirm there was a gas leak, your dispatched staff said "Fire department knows nothing about Gas, we are telling you there is no gas leak in this house," and they left. Few minutes later, the smell of the gas accumulated again, and my wife ran outside and found them sitting in the truck, she requested that they should come back and check properly.

One of your geniuses was not happy with that request, he went to the basement and locked the gas meter. He instructed my wife to call the master plumber to service the house, and left her a tag with the employee number ** and left the house. The master plumber came, fixed the issue and asked to call National Grid to come and restore the gas. I called on Thursday 12, and I was given an appointment for today, Saturday 14, between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM, I was told, they will call me one hour before the arrival. I have been waiting since 8 AM until 4:30 PM, I did not move an inch from my house with my phone glued to my hand. I called to see what is happening, I was told the appointment was cancel and they don't know why.

Think about this, A beautiful day like today, my daughter was crying for most of the day because she wanted to go to the park, I deprived her from going knowing that your crew can show up at my door without any warning. I sacrificed my daughter's park time in exchange with the restoration of gas. It is absolutely unacceptable service. Your organization is taking clients for ride and getting paid for such disgusting situations. I wished I have a choice to switch to another company, I would do it in a blink of the eye. You guys maintain the monopoly and hold the power with your pipes and trapped clients in the dirt. I hope one day, your service will turn against your own company to see how it feels.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I wouldn't deal with this company ever if there was someone else around to buy electric. Their rates are extremely high, phone service people are rude and disrespectful and crude. They only care about money and profit and the hell with the customers. They take over as in a monopoly and charge as much as they want. You have to go through about 10 option tapes on their phone number to actually get to a person. They have no local office to actually go into to sit down with someone to discuss a bill. They have so many charges on your bill, it's hard to figure out what they all go to, if not being robbed by the company's executives. I am thoroughly disgusted with them and wish I could go somewhere else in an area that they do not hover over and threaten people. This is no way to treat customers!

Original review: April 8, 2018

The Gas Delivery charge is more than the Gas supply Charge. It's outrageous. I live in a small home and the gas pipe line was installed in 1967 for gas supply. How can you charge me higher delivery charges than my usage of supply when it's already being delivered here? It's a ripoff. They say it's state regulated. **. It should be against the law. My last bill had an Gas delivery charge of $62.97 and an Gas supply charge of $ 25.24 then the MTA adds Surcharge of $.15 on Delivery and MTA surcharge on Supply $.07. What the **. I live in NYC. I'm being surcharge on everything. My total bill was $92.35 for one month. 29 days. I only used 38 CCF Therms after all the surcharges.

Original review: March 29, 2018

They should not call it National Grid. They should call it Natural Greed. This is ridiculous that they get to hike up their bill for the next three years for their delivery fee like a truck is coming to your house and filling up tanks or something. They are ridiculous in the cost of electric and gas no need for. None of this.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been renting at this particular apartment for several years and the monthly electric bill was never above $65-70 dollars. Those were usually the higher winter months, with the summer months being half of that. The last two bills I had at this apartment were $300+ and $400+. We haven't done anything different, we don't have space heaters or anything new plugged in that would explain the astronomical jump in the bill. I called National Grid and spoke to someone and I was informed that the meter is absolutely correct. I was told that there must be an appliance or something plugged in that is malfunctioning and using too much electricity.

Fortunately, I have moved apartments so I won't have to deal with any more ridiculous bills. Unfortunately, I had to pay those two bills because I don't want it to affect my credit rating. I still don't buy the explanation I was given and that the meter is functioning properly. Unless my jerk neighbors somehow tapped into our electricity and are stealing the power, I don't understand how the bill could quadruple like that. I am very unhappy about the customer service and how they addressed the bill increase. They weren't very helpful at all.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I am amazed at the people complaining about their bills going up a little. My meter was changed from an android meter to a digital and my average bill of sixty to eighty dollars jumped some months upwards to over three hundred dollars. My home is a six room insulated oil heated house with energy efficient appliances. For twenty years my bills were around the same until the month they changed the meter. Every meter should be changed not just some. State Reps office looking into matter. Let's see how happy some people are the day their meters are changed.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I requested a disconnect of service from my business duplex on 10/2/17. They never explained to me that if I wanted an actual reading I'd have to continue being charged until a NG employee can get out there and read the meter. That's asinine! They refuse to charge me what I owe until the disconnect date, so now I have to pay an extra week of charges for the next tenant and their construction crew who demo'd the building that week. Funny thing is, they disconnected my home service at another address and town 'by mistake' and sent me a refund for $67 for overpayment on the other duplex side. They sent the payment to collections and refuse to give me the amount I owe to this day.

Original review: March 2, 2018

They seem okay, but I would prefer to reduce our carbon footprint, especially since we are now an all-electric household. We like to use a green supplier (100% renewable energy sources).

Original review: March 1, 2018

Compared to other utility companies, National Grid is the most reliable in regard to service and supply. However, just as other utilities, (i.e. cable), it's become a monopoly for a necessity with excessive fees.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I feel that National Grid is very expensive and I try to conserve as much of my electricity as possible and my bill doesn't seem to reduce that much. I feel it didn't really make much of a difference.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Last few months service delivery fee has increased dramatically. I live in a small house with gas heat, stove and hot water. My electric bill for last month was $49.00 and my delivery fee from National Grid was $71.76, I'm paying more for line use than electricity. It's almost doubled in the last year. Where are my state representatives to let something like this to happen?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We never had a problem with this utility, with service or billing. The gas is always there when we need it, and the prices certainly seem within reason.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Informed rep that I was moving and she gave me the wrong utility company for my new address. Also gave her my new address but bills are arriving late. Then got a letter dated Oct. 30th about paying final bill which came today (11/7/2017) without those yellow stickers the post office uses.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

The delivery charge is more than the bill. It's outrageous. There is 160 apartments where I live. How can you charge high delivery charges when it's already being delivered to everyone here? It's a rip off. They say it's state regulated. Bull crap. It should be against the law.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

National Grid has its customers backed into a corner. They charge whatever they want, and we have no choice because we need heat and hot water. My bill goes from 60 per month during good weather to 300 plus in the fall & winter. I live alone in and only put heat on in 2 rooms! I'm at work all day!! The company offers no solution or help. I spent over 2000 on heat last winter and I live in a townhouse! Very disturbing.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I'm never quite certain what my bill is based upon. But I feel that way about all the utilities. I feel on some level the billing is so complicated, that we are definitely getting ripped off. So what I do is I just make every effort to be conservative and do the best I can.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I think this company has always been right on, they always try to resolve problems as soon as possible. I have nothing but praise for the years I have been doing business with them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Sometimes unreliable for outages during inclement weather. Outages have exceeded an hour or more. Many times lights has flickered without any outage.

National Grid expert review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

• Best for: customers wanting an electricity provider who cares about sustainable practices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout