1.15/5

New England

497 National Grid Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We had a new furnace installed in mid-April, which qualified for a $400 rebate from National Grid. Applied online and send them a copy of the invoice marked "Paid in Full" by the contractor. Checked several times and found that my submission was incomplete, National Grid claimed they needed more documentation. Re-submitted twice, still no movement. Finally called and spoke to a representative at the end of June. Sent them the same info they already got, plus a copy of my cancelled check to the contractor.

About a week later, got a notice that my rebate was being processed. Waited, waited, waited, then called them on 8/14/19; I was told that the check had been sent to printing the day before (8/13). It took them 5 weeks to send the check to printing! I was told I should receive the check in about 30 days, mid-September. So, six months, if I'm lucky, to get a $400 rebate for a furnace installed in mid-April. Their Customer Service sucks, no excuse for such a delay, they don't want to part with any $.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Impossible to get someone on the phone. It has been 3 days and all my working hours to just get a HOLD of someone to open an account!!! Online.. guides us to the same phone number I've been put on hold!!! A very incompetent staff... When I did finally get through 1 person, they found an excuse to get me off their back!!!! WORST!!!!

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

After sending me bills I couldn't pay online because you needed an access code to set up the account and they refused to provide it unless I took a day off work to come in during business hours or email them a copy of my ID and SSN card (HA! ); I went through hoops to pay the bill through Western Union only to have them take literal YEARS to apply it to the account. After I got them to make the adjustment, I find out they've been charging me illegal fees from bounced bank payments that I never authorized nor gave them any information for. I have no idea what they're even using to attempt these payments. I call them to find out, only to have them put me on hold for over an hour and 40 minutes. Worst customer service in the history of terrible customer service and shady, unethical business practices. They're a monopoly in my area and behave this way because they know consumers have no other option.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I owned investment properties years ago and had, at the time, filled out a Landlord Authorization form (fyi: it's a scam, folks. NEVER EVER SIGN ONE). Anyway, I quite recently got a bill from a property I have not owned for over 2.5 years. National Grid told me that until I sign and submit a "Landlord Deletion Form" I will be responsible for delinquent bills in the property for the rest of my life. NO LIE! So they have since threatened me with collections, have bounced me around and put me on hold and disconnected me more times that I want to count, and have buried me in paperwork.

Every time I submit a "required" form, someone else has another "required" form I didn't submit. And, to boot, all the properties were in my LLC's name but they somehow have hijacked my social security number and am threatening adverse affects on my personal credit rating! I have since filled out another 6-page form, (enclosing everything but my first born--although they will be asking for him, too) and will send this packet out certified mail tomorrow. This is not only a scam, but I believe it borders on illegal. I'll keep everyone posted.

Original review: July 27, 2019

At the begining, the bill was paid by phone. I can just call them and say make the payment and that's it. One day this auto system change, it starts to ask me what's my address number. I don't know it. And I can't find it anywhere in the bill they send me. So I can't pay by phone. I try to pay online, they ask me my access code. It says you can find it on the letter they send me. But luckily, mine doesn't have it. And I don't even live in any area that it says on its website. So, every month I have to call the representative and WAIT A LONG TIME. Making a payment is such a PAINFUL thing to do. How can this company be better?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: July 25, 2019

We have been paying our bills in full. National Grid first messed up our account number and sent me a bill a few months later saying I'm not paying my bills - well no ** I never owned that account. So I disputed that (at this point I no longer live at the apartment), only to be faced with a newer, bigger charge - they claimed that I owed them an entire year's worth of utilities bill! Mind you we paid everything in full!!! I disputed the bill with our bank statements but it's not good enough for those **. Avoid National Grid at all costs, and if you can't, be vigilant about maintaining proof of payment, because they are extremely unorganized and will screw you over.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I moved to a new house and tried to set up a new account for the gas service. I called the customer service. After talking to someone briefly to transfer to the new account service, I was put on hold for 45 minutes before talking to a customer service representative. The lady took the call could not even enter my address correctly. I tried to correct her misspelling, she put me on hold again. After waiting for another 20 minutes, I hung up the phone. It is ridiculous to provide such lousy customer service while still charging lots of money in every utility bill!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I moved into a new apartment and once set up my account with National Grid, they told me they could turn on the gas in 8 days only! I have an autoimmune disease that requires special diet. I called them and spoke with Luis ** who said that I need a doctor's note so they could expedite the turn on. I got the note and sent it to **. Two days passed and I called again.

As it turned out he didn’t even have a decency to look at it. He put me on hold while he went to their medical department. He came back saying that my doctor failed to include my home address. I told him that there is a phone number on the note that says that if they have any questions they may call my doctor's office with any questions. Nothing worked for **. Moreover he said that they need to send a form to my doctors to fill out because they don’t accept doctor's notes. For real?! Why you didn’t tell me this at the beginning? I don’t think I’ve ever encountered such unprofessionalism.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Gas connections taking 9 days to be started! I called this gas company ‘National Grid’ to have gas connections to my newly purchased house in Brooklyn. Upon opening the account, they required me to send them the proof of my ownership and I provided them a copy of the transfer deed. It took them 3 days to confirm the verification and when I received the confirmation email that asked me to call the company to schedule an appointment for a field technician. The earliest they can come is still 6 days away! I urged them to have it expedited since I already moved in today. No gas means no hot water as well. I have 3 little kids and we are all stuck with this BS of a company! Something needs to be done against this monopoly for this kind of bad service to the consumers.

Original review: June 7, 2019

People are impossible to deal with on a rational level. I've never dealt with a company so dysfunctional they won't let me even pay them. Signed up for automatic withdrawals when moving to new home from checking account but they had one number off. Called them after receiving phone call from them when Bill was past due. Could not get them to mail bill to new address. It's now been almost 10 years and I've never been able to get them to send a bill to my new address. This is how stupid and dysfunctional this company is.

Now let me get back to my original story on my automatic payment plan nightmare. I made numerous calls to have checking account number corrected. Unfortunately they are not intelligent enough to correct their mistake for 3 months and three phone calls average of one hour a piece I may remind you. Now at the end of all this stupidity I mailed them a check for the full amount due but now they returned my check saying they won't except checks from me because of past bounced checks due to their inability to correctly take from the right account number which I called to correct their mistake 3 times to no avail while trying to set up automatic payments.

Now I'm not exactly the shy type. I've installed a big padlock on my meter and refuse to let them shut it off. And their meter readers aren't exactly going to intimidate me when they come to my door or have five trucks in front of my house trying to shut my power off. These people have to be some of the dumbest arrogant stupid people I have ever dealt with. And my problem with them was solved when I drove to their Westborough main office and pulled a nutty on the arrogant ** working at the front desk and making it well known how stupid and incompetent they are.

National Grid expert review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

• Best for: customers wanting an electricity provider who cares about sustainable practices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout