New England

1.2/5 (472 ratings)

About National Grid

National Grid Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I wish there was another company I could go to for Gas service. This company is horrific.. They always come to my house at unexpected hrs in the day to dig under ground for their benefit but when their customers need them we have to wait 24hrs Or more for service And when they do come it’s 1,2,3 o’clock in the morning when people have to work... All of a sudden no one is available to come at decent hours in the day.. Make it make sense..

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

It was horrible, seems like they do not know how to do their job. SMH. My electric was shut off on a Tuesday. I called them right after. I was literally transferred to 8 different people before I got someone who knows how to do their job. She apologized and said the earliest she could have someone come out was August 31, this was August 22nd. I called back 2 days later and the same thing. I asked to speak to a supervisor, was put on hold, 5 mins later she comes back on the phone and says, "I'm sorry. I can't get anyone out til the 31st." Smh. I also have 2 kids in the house. Why couldn't they have someone come out sooner.

It didn't take long to shut it off but it took 8 days to turn it back on. This was very unacceptable and not right at all. I lost 200 in food and had to have my kids go to their grandparents. I also think I should be reimbursed for the food we had to throw out. I wish there was a different electric company. Also half the people I spoke to did comprehend English. Smh. Worst company ever.

Get buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

This company is horrible. They take advantage knowing people don’t have much of a choice but to use their company since there is zero competition between utility companies. For years we have had an outrageous bill. We have had the meter changed a few times, etc., and still no change. We tried living in the dark among other obvious things to help cut the bill down but to no avail. This past year our monthly bills have been the worst yet! 700-800 per month during the cold months is outrageous. We pay what we can on it every month but it’s never enough. We can’t catch up. They come to our door and humiliate us in front of the neighborhood. They get away with insane rates and it’s disgusting. NO WAY should a utility bill cost more than food or a car payment. This is ridiculous. They’ll keep getting away with it too.

Writing to this website about it does nothing but allow me to release my anger! Our bill hasn’t been below $3500 in over a year. We have a household of 7 but our income level is just above the discount rate guidelines. We don’t qualify for any type of help. Idk how the heck we're supposed to pay this off. It makes me sick. Are we supposed to freeze and live like in the stone ages? This is hopeless! How do people live??

Original review: July 2, 2022

In 2016, through National Grid we were referred to Mass Save for an energy audit. Homeworks responded and we were thrilled with the education and service they performed to help two elderly and disabled seniors save money. We have central air throughout the house with the exception of one room added on afterwards. This 10X12 room required a separate unit which we purchased through Homeworks. Homeworks installed a "Fujitsu" split system. We live on the coast and according to other heating/cooling companies "Fujitsu" is not recommended for coastal homes because they rust out and become inoperable in a relatively short period of time. We are proof of this as our unit has had numerous service calls and each one we were told to replace the unit because it is inadequate and runs poorly.

The person from Homeworks who initially sold us the unit has been fired from Homeworks curiously and Homeworks no longer installs "Fujitsu" units. Interestingly after all this time going back and forth with all companies (National Grid, Mass Save, Homeworks Energy, Abode Energy and others) we have been offered a 10% DISCOUNT off a $199 contract going forward for them to maintain a unit which neither heats nor cools. This ridiculous offer ($19.90) did nothing but make a bad situation worse. We are elderly and on a fixed income and after 6 years we have been told there is nothing more anyone can do for us.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Paid to have electric turned on which they said would be on within 24hrs. First representative told me to make sure main breaker was off or services couldn't be turned on. I immediately turned all breakers off. After I made the payment, I called again to make sure they received payment and again was told to make sure main breaker was off which it was. I come home from work the day it was supposed to be on and it wasn't. I called and was told they it couldn't be turned on because main breaker was on... Um no it wasn't. IT WAS OFF!

Original review: June 8, 2022

Currently National Grid is taking advantage of customers and going door to door on overdue payments to shut off your power. Even if you have made a payment within the last 30 days they are still able to shut off your power. They will not call you, then will knock on your door and if you don’t answer will shut off the power and leave a note on your door. If you are home, they WILL collect any payment for any amount, you DO NOT have to pay the full amount or even half. After that you will need to call and go on a payment plan however if you miss a single payment they will shut down power again. They will tell you payment plans are for 12 month however they WILL DO 24 MONTH PAYMENT PLANS.

if you feel you are being taken advantage of you should file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. No complain is too small, it is imperative to file a complaint even if does not come to fruition as there will be documentation of National Grid's abuses of their customers. Also be advised they can not shut off your power if you have a small child in the house or someone seriously I’ll. Know your rights and protect yourself from these giant monopoly companies.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Cannot get into my account. Cannot get anyone on the phone to help me. Constant problems. Website and company are a joke. They will be held accountable. They think they can treat people any they want. NO.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Back in November 2021 I tried to pay my electric bill online. When the webpage appeared to be stuck and the payment not posting I called customer service to make the payment instead. The following week I see that National Grid deducted the payment twice. After calling numerous numbers and speaking with one particularly nasty woman who yelled at me and told me that it was my own fault for trying to pay it online and then calling customer service (which I had gotten her name), I ended up having to go through my bank directly for an unauthorized ACH in order to get the duplicate payment refunded to my checking account. The customer service rep at the bank couldn't believe it.

In December my bill was $132.07 higher - this was the amount I had PAID in November (even though they deducted the payment from my bank account twice and I went through my bank ONLY to get back the DUPLICATE payment). National Grid adjusted my bill to show as if I had never made a payment in November. Now it is March 2022 and my bill is still incorrect every month. I have made numerous calls since December and have gotten nowhere. They are a horrible company with horrible customer service.

Original review: March 2, 2022

This company is a complete joke. Wanted to pay my bill, but I had some questions because it was unusually high. Attempted to contact them. Called every number I could find multiple times- wait on hold for over an hour OR no answer. Sent emails. No response. In the meantime, another bill comes. I'm still trying to get a hold of them; without success- now I get a disconnect notice. I'm forced to pay without the opportunity to question/challenge the accuracy of the charges or get disconnected. Scrupulous business practice in my opinion. Filing a complaint with the Utility Commission.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

For the first time in my life I've had an electric bill over $300 in one month. Delivery service $153.71, Total supply service $142.23 and Gross earnings tax $12.33 for a total of $308.27. So much for updated everything and cutting back. If I didn't I'm sure my 1000 sq ft home would probably be over $500.

National Grid author review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team