1.74/5
Based on 54 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

New England

Last updated: May 21, 2018

450 National Grid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

Just got off the phone with National Grid and I am furious! I wanted to take my deceased brother's name off of his account and put it under my name. Should be simple, right? But no... First I was told that the last numbers of his SS# were incorrect (they weren't). They also had an incorrect phone number for him. Then finally after giving them the amount paid on his last bill and repeating his account number again I was told I needed to write a letter stating my brother is deceased, get it NOTARIZED and fax it to whoever. I asked if I could mail it since it would be easier than tracking down a fax machine but was told only faxed copies are acceptable. Really???

Finally I told the customer service rep to just forget it and that I would keep the account under my brother's name. I had been paying the bill for several months and they certainly didn't mind cashing the checks under my name. I hesitated for a long time in calling them because I know what a nightmare it was going to be after hearing about experiences from relatives and friends. And they were so right! I do want to say that I don't blame the customer service representatives that have the misfortune of working for this company. The young lady I spoke with was very polite and tried to help the best she could. I understand that they have their rules for security but this was beyond ridiculous.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This is beyond ridiculous. They refuse to take my deceased uncle's name off of our account, and put it into my name. It has been like this for years. We came home to find a lock on our meter and our power off. We called National Grid, they really had no explanation for it (since we had a receipt for payment) and told us they would not be out that day but would come the next day between 8 am and 4 pm to turn it back on. At 3:45 pm we called - after 20 minutes of being put on hold and switched from person to person, they had no explanation and refused to commit to a time when they would be out to turn the power on. We are on day 3 with no power. I feel like we are living a nightmare. They can do things like this with absolutely NO repercussions because they are literally the only game in town. What are we going to do, stop giving them business? We can't. National Grid is a monster.

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2018 I must say that your company treats clients as crap and worth absolutely nothing. For your FYI, clients pay the salaries for every employee in your organization.

Here is my frustration. Two of your geniuses showed at my house on April 7th after a call that my wife made to 311 for gas leak. Fire Department came in and surveyed the premises and confirmed there was a leak somewhere by the stove. Then they called National Grid which the two geniuses showed up after the fire crew left. Your staff told my wife that there is no leak in this house and when my wife mentioned that the fire department did confirm there was a gas leak, your dispatched staff said "Fire department knows nothing about Gas, we are telling you there is no gas leak in this house," and they left. Few minutes later, the smell of the gas accumulated again, and my wife ran outside and found them sitting in the truck, she requested that they should come back and check properly.

One of your geniuses was not happy with that request, he went to the basement and locked the gas meter. He instructed my wife to call the master plumber to service the house, and left her a tag with the employee number ** and left the house. The master plumber came, fixed the issue and asked to call National Grid to come and restore the gas. I called on Thursday 12, and I was given an appointment for today, Saturday 14, between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM, I was told, they will call me one hour before the arrival. I have been waiting since 8 AM until 4:30 PM, I did not move an inch from my house with my phone glued to my hand. I called to see what is happening, I was told the appointment was cancel and they don't know why.

Think about this, A beautiful day like today, my daughter was crying for most of the day because she wanted to go to the park, I deprived her from going knowing that your crew can show up at my door without any warning. I sacrificed my daughter's park time in exchange with the restoration of gas. It is absolutely unacceptable service. Your organization is taking clients for ride and getting paid for such disgusting situations. I wished I have a choice to switch to another company, I would do it in a blink of the eye. You guys maintain the monopoly and hold the power with your pipes and trapped clients in the dirt. I hope one day, your service will turn against your own company to see how it feels.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I wouldn't deal with this company ever if there was someone else around to buy electric. Their rates are extremely high, phone service people are rude and disrespectful and crude. They only care about money and profit and the hell with the customers. They take over as in a monopoly and charge as much as they want. You have to go through about 10 option tapes on their phone number to actually get to a person. They have no local office to actually go into to sit down with someone to discuss a bill. They have so many charges on your bill, it's hard to figure out what they all go to, if not being robbed by the company's executives. I am thoroughly disgusted with them and wish I could go somewhere else in an area that they do not hover over and threaten people. This is no way to treat customers!

Original review: April 8, 2018

The Gas Delivery charge is more than the Gas supply Charge. It's outrageous. I live in a small home and the gas pipe line was installed in 1967 for gas supply. How can you charge me higher delivery charges than my usage of supply when it's already being delivered here? It's a ripoff. They say it's state regulated. **. It should be against the law. My last bill had an Gas delivery charge of $62.97 and an Gas supply charge of $ 25.24 then the MTA adds Surcharge of $.15 on Delivery and MTA surcharge on Supply $.07. What the **. I live in NYC. I'm being surcharge on everything. My total bill was $92.35 for one month. 29 days. I only used 38 CCF Therms after all the surcharges.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: March 29, 2018

They should not call it National Grid. They should call it Natural Greed. This is ridiculous that they get to hike up their bill for the next three years for their delivery fee like a truck is coming to your house and filling up tanks or something. They are ridiculous in the cost of electric and gas no need for. None of this.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been renting at this particular apartment for several years and the monthly electric bill was never above $65-70 dollars. Those were usually the higher winter months, with the summer months being half of that. The last two bills I had at this apartment were $300+ and $400+. We haven't done anything different, we don't have space heaters or anything new plugged in that would explain the astronomical jump in the bill. I called National Grid and spoke to someone and I was informed that the meter is absolutely correct. I was told that there must be an appliance or something plugged in that is malfunctioning and using too much electricity.

Fortunately, I have moved apartments so I won't have to deal with any more ridiculous bills. Unfortunately, I had to pay those two bills because I don't want it to affect my credit rating. I still don't buy the explanation I was given and that the meter is functioning properly. Unless my jerk neighbors somehow tapped into our electricity and are stealing the power, I don't understand how the bill could quadruple like that. I am very unhappy about the customer service and how they addressed the bill increase. They weren't very helpful at all.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I am amazed at the people complaining about their bills going up a little. My meter was changed from an android meter to a digital and my average bill of sixty to eighty dollars jumped some months upwards to over three hundred dollars. My home is a six room insulated oil heated house with energy efficient appliances. For twenty years my bills were around the same until the month they changed the meter. Every meter should be changed not just some. State Reps office looking into matter. Let's see how happy some people are the day their meters are changed.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I requested a disconnect of service from my business duplex on 10/2/17. They never explained to me that if I wanted an actual reading I'd have to continue being charged until a NG employee can get out there and read the meter. That's asinine! They refuse to charge me what I owe until the disconnect date, so now I have to pay an extra week of charges for the next tenant and their construction crew who demo'd the building that week. Funny thing is, they disconnected my home service at another address and town 'by mistake' and sent me a refund for $67 for overpayment on the other duplex side. They sent the payment to collections and refuse to give me the amount I owe to this day.

Original review: March 2, 2018

They seem okay, but I would prefer to reduce our carbon footprint, especially since we are now an all-electric household. We like to use a green supplier (100% renewable energy sources).

Original review: March 1, 2018

Compared to other utility companies, National Grid is the most reliable in regard to service and supply. However, just as other utilities, (i.e. cable), it's become a monopoly for a necessity with excessive fees.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I feel that National Grid is very expensive and I try to conserve as much of my electricity as possible and my bill doesn't seem to reduce that much. I feel it didn't really make much of a difference.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Last few months service delivery fee has increased dramatically. I live in a small house with gas heat, stove and hot water. My electric bill for last month was $49.00 and my delivery fee from National Grid was $71.76, I'm paying more for line use than electricity. It's almost doubled in the last year. Where are my state representatives to let something like this to happen?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We never had a problem with this utility, with service or billing. The gas is always there when we need it, and the prices certainly seem within reason.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Informed rep that I was moving and she gave me the wrong utility company for my new address. Also gave her my new address but bills are arriving late. Then got a letter dated Oct. 30th about paying final bill which came today (11/7/2017) without those yellow stickers the post office uses.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

The delivery charge is more than the bill. It's outrageous. There is 160 apartments where I live. How can you charge high delivery charges when it's already being delivered to everyone here? It's a rip off. They say it's state regulated. Bull crap. It should be against the law.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

National Grid has its customers backed into a corner. They charge whatever they want, and we have no choice because we need heat and hot water. My bill goes from 60 per month during good weather to 300 plus in the fall & winter. I live alone in and only put heat on in 2 rooms! I'm at work all day!! The company offers no solution or help. I spent over 2000 on heat last winter and I live in a townhouse! Very disturbing.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I'm never quite certain what my bill is based upon. But I feel that way about all the utilities. I feel on some level the billing is so complicated, that we are definitely getting ripped off. So what I do is I just make every effort to be conservative and do the best I can.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I think this company has always been right on, they always try to resolve problems as soon as possible. I have nothing but praise for the years I have been doing business with them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Sometimes unreliable for outages during inclement weather. Outages have exceeded an hour or more. Many times lights has flickered without any outage.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

If it wasn't for National Grid helping people with low income, I would never of got insulation & a new heating system. They have excellent programs and I appreciate them helping others that are less fortunate.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Not too bad of a company to deal with - just don't like the fact that don't prorate your electric bill when you move. I moved out my house on the 4th, & they wanted to charge me for the whole billing period! I don't think so Tim!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I live in an apartment building but I do get billed, I don't have any complaints. I have had no reason to call them. It's been many years since I did and all worked out.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

There is a reason they are called, "National Greed". They are only concerned with earning more money at all costs. Infrastructure is outdated, and prone to failures.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

This UK based scoundrel company treats customers as their colonial slaves and charge heavily. I live in less than 600 sqft house with limited electrical equipments running and I saw my first month bill 637$, called National Grid immediately, they sent a person to see the meter reading and reduced the bill to 590$, reasons are not explained for reduction and also I asked for hourly based charges to see if there is any fraud activity on my account - Looks like the fraud is National Grid. They are vultures and need to be kicked out of USA.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I have lived in my house for over 2 years and have never used more than 600 kwh of electricity. Looking at the usage chart on National Grid's site my neighbors have never used more than 900 kwh. However this past June to July bill National Grid claimed I used 998 kwh! I called and told them this must be a mistake but they did nothing to help me. I had electrical work done to upgrade my house from 100 to 200 amp service so I am convinced this caused the issue somehow. To make the issue even worse, I was alone for that entire month so I know there's no way possible a single person used nearly 1000 kwh of electricity in 1 month. I have submitted a complaint with the state since National Grid has not been any help.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I set up a date to have my service switched because I moved with a customer service representative. On that day no one arrived. I called and was told there was a mistake and it was not put in the system. They would not turn it on for another 7 days. I have spent $1,400 to move and have no extra money to go anywhere else. At 5 degrees out in December I was told no one could do anything and me and my family including my three-month-old daughter and two year old Chihuahua would have to sit in a 5 degrees freezing house for days. I was told I should go to a shelter if I felt we got too cold. We are currently trying to deal with freezing and waiting for another few days to have electricity and heat. I was told no one could do anything at all. No other appointments could be moved around. No one could do anything.

I was told that if I didn't pay my bill and it was disconnected they would be able to turn it right back on but because I pay my bills my family has to freeze. Because this company is a monopoly there are no other choice is to choose a company that may not want their customers to freeze for 7 days have all their food go bad. And risk everyone's health. I was told that if somebody is on oxygen or requires an apparatus to keep them alive they would still not turn the electric on that person could go to the hospital. I am beyond disgusted. I have no words. This is a company that we are forced to use that has no empathy does not care about their customers and blatantly says they don't care if their customers are on death's doorstep it's not their problem.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I am very disappointed with their service. Our neighborhood is constantly losing power. We pay a premium rate and there are times where we are out of power for days. Today is one of them. I wish Billerica would just offer their own power service instead of using them. I just don't think that National Grid has the equipment or interest to service power outages.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

This is by far the worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. When starting my service with them, as they are the only utility service available in RI, it wasn't too bad. After my first bill, things just went quickly downhill with them. Their fees end up totaling more than the actual gas or electricity usage itself, so you pay a LIHEAP fee, a usage fee just for being a customer, energy saving program fees, among others. Typically my fees add up to at least $40-50 per month and my actual gas or electricity usage is only around $40. I'm on the "low income" rate for electric, but that only takes off one fee that adds up to about $3-5 per month. How does that help a low income family in any way?

I've had to contact them numerous times when unable to pay my bill to set up infant protection, as I have a 10 month old in the house. It took from August to November for them to finally approve it, even though I kept sending in the correct proofs they asked for (birth certificate, financial hardship form, proof of income). My only income at the time was child Support, so they kept asking for my tax forms even though I don't receive any forms for child support. Then they denied me because I didn't send proof of government assistance, which they never requested, and I only receive SNAP benefits, which cannot be counted as income as it only pays for food. I called and spoke with at least 15 different customer service reps within the company trying to sort out the mess, and each rep told me something different in regards to what was required of me to send in as proofs for the infant protection.

After speaking with one service rep, I was absolutely appalled at the way I was spoken to regarding my service and my bill. She informed me I was only approved for financial hardship, due to the child support being my only income at the time, and that although I had an infant under 2 in the house I was not eligible for infant protection. She then went on to state that I NEEDED to make a payment or I would lose both gas and electric service, even though it was after November 1st and they cannot shut off service if you have financial hardship. When I told her I was awaiting a large payment from child support (I had not received anything since mid-August), and that I would make payments once I received that she was incredibly rude.

She went so far as to say "ma'am if you don't make a payment they will shut you off. You need to show good faith in paying on your part. You can't expect to get gas and electric service for free just because you have kids, that's not how things work. As of November 6th you will be shut off unless you set up a payment arrangement." After reading the statement on the back of the bill about infants in the house, she rudely hung up on me. When trying to find out the correct paperwork to send to verify things for infant protection, one young guy told me to call 211, which is United Way, to find out if I had infant or financial hardship protection because he didn't know how to access my information to verify over the phone. After telling him that the phone number was for United Way, and in no way affiliated with National Grid, he got upset and hung up on me.

National Grid is currently harassing me daily with phone calls stating there has been a change in the status of my account (they want to disconnect service but cannot due to infant protection). I get at least one call every day from them about this, even after I have spoken to yet another service rep to let them know I do not have any income at the moment, I am again awaiting child support payments and when I receive one I will split it between both bills.

They still call and harass me though about not having paid recently. Not sure if they can do that considering I have protections on my account and have verified I personally have no income, as the child support goes to support the needs of my children. Typically at least one payment per month goes to bills since it directly benefits and satisfies one of the children's major needs, but I cannot pay with money I do not have at this time. If I could give this company 0 stars, I would without question. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I called National Grid to have service transferred to my name on a new home I purchased. The customer service rep explained he was having a problem and would call me back. 2 days later they came out and cut the gas line and then told me it’s 6 weeks to restore service and I would need a plumber. Also there is an employee named John who is responsible for the crew that cut the lines. He seems to have some personal issue. A representative came to my house November 1. John instructed them left the ** out of there. He didn’t know the employee's phone was on speaker. I’m still waiting for gas and National Grid is all wait time when you call. Horrible service. 62 Porterfield Freeport New York.

National Grid expert review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

• Best for: customers wanting an electricity provider who cares about sustainable practices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout