1.24/5

New England

484 National Grid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 2, 2019

I had my gas disconnected on Tuesday April 30, 2019. I went to the service center and got my service to be reinstated they said they will give me a 24 hour window. I said ok. It is now over 24 hours and they still say that they will have someone come to reconnect my service. During the evening a technician called while I was running an errand, he said he will be there by 9:40 and he never showed up. I called the emergency line and the representative told me he should be there shortly. After two hours he still did not show. Apparently he said I was not there. He basically lied and did not even leave a tag to say he was here.

I called to check up on the service order and this representative Theresa is trying to tell me that I had a new service order at 11:52 am on May 2. I got really angry and told her that I was checking the status because it has been over 24 hours. It has been 5 hours and they are still not here. Their excuse is that they have gas emergencies. I asked, "Is every house in Long Island having a gas leak." I don’t know what their issue is but this is inhumane and rude and distasteful. What can be done?? Do they need more technicians or are they lazy and incompetent.

Their customer service is terrible and leaving a home without gas is an emergency because we can’t cook or even take a shower. Also we are meant to be confined to our homes waiting on a technician that will come on his own accord. Dare we try to run out to get food because we cannot cook. He comes and tells us, “Well no one was home so I left”. National Grid does not give you a definitive time when they are coming. They are disorganized and inefficient.

Original review: April 26, 2019

After four decades of experience dealing with National Grid and its predecessor Niagara Mohawk, the company - with few exceptions - remains a consumer nightmare. It has little if any institutional memory when the same services at the same address are involved, its website, while there have been modest improvements, is among the worst on the net. Many of its frontline reps are poorly trained, poorly spoken and unable to provide a minimum of customer service laced with courtesy. There are, of course, always exceptions. It's one big stuffed element with outdated and outmoded consumer services. If it were a private, unregulated concern, it would have gone the way of the buggy whip long ago.

Get expert buying tips about New York Electricity Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

So I will be the first to admit my mistake of letting my bills go unpaid (80+ yrs old recently deceased husband who paid bills). Turned off last Friday with no written notice. Have called no EXAGGERATING 9 times! Their system for accounts that are past due is emailing or faxing a payment agreement to be signed and sent back and then they will dispatched someone to turn back on maybe. It is 2 pm on Monday and I have yet to receive any email. Every time I call they tell me I am not the only one and this is a very busy season for them and I will eventually receive the email. Are you KIDDING? I have no heat, hot water or cooking gas. I live alone and have no help. I have not had a meal or taken a shower since Thursday night!!!! What is the problem with this company and their processes!!!! No one will help and with the exception of one young lady Michelle everyone else is nasty and rude. One even hung up on me. WHAT DO I DO????

Original review: April 5, 2019

High standards in producing effective results in our community 03/03/19. Correlated with Asplundh Construction. Bring high end workmanship... Order & safety... Day in & day out these guys do not stop. Pristine cleanup.

Original review: March 21, 2019

BEFORE moving to New York, check out the cost of gas and electricity. IT COULD BE MORE THAN YOUR RENT. I live alone in an apartment in my triplex that I own. My experience with National Grid over the last ten years has been questionable. I didn't pursue the argument, but now I must. My bill went from 357.00 to 500.00 in a month. I am fastidiously frugal with heat and electricity. My thermostat is at 63, I am always cold, and leave the lights off all day. This company has to be investigated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Grid?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

National Grid in the capital region Of NYS is out of control. They send me a bill every several days for different amounts and the charge each month seems to double, every time I make a payment I get a shutoff notice 4-5 days later for an outstanding balance that magically appeared. NYS needs to conduct an investigation on this company ASAP, they've run out all the other companies and they're taking full advantage of their customers. When you are charged $600+ a month for electricity and have no choice but to pay because it's a necessity and there's no other companies, That's called extortion.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

This is the worst website. After account numbers and access codes that don't work with each other it is impossible to login. I got help from their associates in the past who were also confused by their website. Now I have paperless billing and have no idea how to access my account. When I looked for old emails to find a link, I was able to log on on an entirely different screen, but when I got in it was for an address I lived at 2 years ago. I can't even currently tell you if I have been paying someone else's electricity. Their email links to free products like thermostats never work. Without a good website transparency is gone. Worst experiences ever calling them... Each time I have to call them it's like an hour of my day and they are closed on weekends.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Arranged an appointment in response to a letter to call for gas meter change. Given an "8-4" time slot after a long wait on hold. No one showed or called. After another call and long wait, told it had been re-scheduled and cancelled again because of weather. Third attempt, again scheduled for 8-4. On the date, called for a time prediction, told to call customer service, waited over 10 minutes, got electric division, transferred and waited again, got a woman who could not give me any information at all. When I said that was poor customer service, she hung up on me! Lousy customer service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I recently moved, and the gas to my new apartment had been shut off. I called National Grid to set up a new account, and they said they couldn’t come over until Thursday. That’s a long time to not be able to cook, but it’s manageable. Then they said I’d have to be available from 8am to 12am midnight. (Which— ?!?!!!??) Well, I know this is crazy, but I have a job, so I can’t do that. We scheduled them to come on Saturday.

At noon on Saturday, I called to confirm the appointment. The customer service rep confirmed it and said the technicians should be there shortly. They never came. It’s extra infuriating because the customer service reps end their day at 5, and there is absolutely no way to contact them after that. So we stayed on house arrest in vain. Now it’s Sunday, we still can’t contact them, and we still have no gas.

I know the company is a monopoly so they really don’t have to make sure they’re running a good business, but I was out of mind that people would ask others to wait for them for 16 hours and never show up or call. Also, I had to make the landlord's daughter and her children stay here all day since they can access the meter room. Also, I had this last customer service rep check to make sure that my old account was cancelled (because I had cancelled it the previous Saturday), and it looked like “someone forgot” to mark it as cancelled. Scam.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I try to make sure that all of my bills are paid on time and pay as much as I am able to for them. I despise National Grid’s opération in New York State. It seems like every year in January or February, National Grid seeks to shut my power off. I just paid my bill for January and I paid ahead for February’s and I had still received a shut off notice in my mail even in the midst of -20 degree temperatures.

It seems like ever since I complained to the New York Attorney General’s Office about a bill for an old address that was run up by the people who lived there after us. I called to have my service shut off and I called in July to start new service and they told me I had a 570+ bill from an old address. I told them I had called to have it shut off. It was even in the notes. In turn, it hadn’t been shut off and they told me I was responsible for a bill that someone else ran up. I filed a complaint with the N.Y. AG office and they wiped it out after they received it. I know that National Grid is a monopoly and it seems like they charge whatever they want in the winter. New York needs to get them under control.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My heat was BROKEN. The thermostat went down to 57 degrees! Then we went on vacation for a week and set the thermostat to 60. And my bill is the highest it’s ever been. Can you say FRAUD? The company seems to arbitrarily sending a number. Nothing to do with usage. Time for an investigation of the company! If I had ANY other choice in heating companies I’d leave in a heartbeat!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I started in the LICAP Program over 3 years ago with no end date. The program is suppose to match what National Grid gives you as payment which was $68 a month. So my payments were made on time every month and I started to pay extra because I noticed my bill was rising. So, in Nov of 2018 someone from National Grid Collections called and left a message stating I needed to pay my back bill of over $1700. I called back and asked them what are they talking about, I've been paying by and I'm in the LICAP Program. The rep was confused and didn't know why anyone was calling me.

A week later on the same day, I received a disconnection notice and congratulations your LICAP Program has ENDED notice in the mail. So I called again, only to be told the LICAP Program ended months ago and I have to pay this bill. I now have to go through sending all this paperwork in to become income eligible for income based payments. Which only means I pay the current bill plus $10 towards my back bill. However, my current bill has been over $200 a month and February's bill is over $500. Someone needs to investigate this company. How are they allowed to do this to people???

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I called last August to see if I could work out a payment plan and hopefully get on the AMP program. Over the course of 4-5 months, I have sent them my info at least 4 times. Not once did I receive a call from them. Every time I called they requested my info and I sent it. Now they have sent me to a collection agency. I called today Jan 9, 2019, and the girl on the line said that I need to apply for reduced services. I told her that I have sent my info 4 times. I then asked her to speak to a supervisor. That was around 4 PM. It is now 5:03 and I am still on hold listening to the same friggin music. I think they close at 5. They got us by the balls and know it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I don't understand why this company has not been investigated. I moved to a 3 bedroom home unfortunately all electric. I thought the bill was high in the summer at $170 but it went up to $300 then $600 then $900 in the winter per month! And my house was freezing because I set the heat at 60 degrees. My teenage son was living here so he would blast the heat with the window open in his room & take long hot showers so I assumed it was that. When I called to set up payment arrangements they said that my bill was not past due so they could not set them up???

This year my son is not here. I have not even turned my heat on even though we've had some cold days. I've used a Vornado heater in my bedroom to keep it warm. Last month my bill was over $500 & this month it's $800?? It was warmer this month than last month so why the increase?? And it's saying I used more electricity than last year which is total bs. I have never seen anyone come to read my meter. I think they are a total scam!! I wish I did not have to use them!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Possibly the worst utility provider I've ever had to work with. Mind you, we rarely have any alternatives but this was beyond bad. So a bit of context, I work in energy markets and am well aware of how things work, electricity creeps higher in the wintertime due to increased HDD (Heating degree days). Meaning that when the temperature drops it costs more to heat your home, and of all of the heating alternatives electricity is by far the most expensive. I've also lived in just over 6 different states and have routinely dealt with their customer service departments.

So to start, their customer service rep (Darlene) basically told me that I should have expected the higher cost due to the time of year. The challenge I had is that I literally just moved in and the bill was for 11 days, during which they state that I consumed over 550 kWh. The average household in the state consumes that on a monthly basis let alone a week and a half. The representative was not only dismissive but in a few instances seemed insulted by what I'm sure is a very common call. To make the matter worse, they would not even explain the reasoning behind how they arrived at such a number and the bill clearly states that an estimate was used. However, they failed (by fail I mean wouldn't discuss) to indicate how they arrived at that estimate. Horrible experience overall, and sadly I'm stuck with them as long as I live in this area of Rhode Island.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I live alone in a 900 sq ft home with all new electric. New top of the line on demand heating system. A new roof. New insulation. New windows... Then a new meter... And lo and behold they gotcha!!! The bills start rolling in from $40/50 summertime to $180/$200. From $120/200 winter time to $300/$500. I spoke with some neighbors and it's just so ridiculous. NOT ONE OUNCE OF CONCERN or KINDNESS!!! The worst company EVER!!! Nothing we can do. I can't believe this is not being looked into. The government obviously gets a piece of our money but come on!!! How is one company robbing consumers with no one looking into this??? There has to be some way to stop it... Besides the obvious going off grid!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

National Grid told me I had to send in my roommate's picture ID and picture of a debit card. 2 proofs of identification and they want those faxed. They never mention anything about emailing it in which would have been quicker now. Before I sent the fax about a week previous I called them and a voice recording said it was some sort of emergency was the reason why their office was shut down. It was not a holiday, all utilities are open Monday through Friday except this place. Now when I called them back today 10 days after I've tried to get gas turned on and they told me the fax came through too dark their fault of course. It's Friday, now I have to wait till Monday to call them back. These people are grossly incompetent, if you can get gas service from someone else, do it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I spent over 2 hours of time over two days to try to understand why they didn’t cancel my service when I moved and established a new account 6 weeks ago. The phone IVR system is pitiful. I had to call in numerous times as after I went through the process of entering my account number the system would disconnect me. The first time that I actually reached someone, I was told that the systems were down and that I should call back in 20 minutes. After 30 minutes I called back and the IVR didn’t even answer the call, on multiple attempts. 3 days later, I experienced similar problems with being disconnected. When I did reach someone I was told that he could not help me and would transfer me to the right group and then I was disconnected again.

Upon further attempts, I reached the right person, who didn’t speak English well and we had a very difficult time communicating. I requested a recording of our conversation so that I had proof of this experience and was told that I could not have that. In the end, I ended up paying for 6 weeks of gas service (heat & hot water) that I didn’t use just to get this over with. Avoid National Grid if possible!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My account was under my boyfriend's name and when we broke up he closed the account and after paying all the bills I applied for a new account via phone. The woman told me to send my ID to an email address she sent me. After sending the ID I got declined because I did not include the address which they never mentioned. Then I applied including the address and declined again because I didnt include a second ID WHICH THEY NEVER MENTIONED! And they just shut off my gas and heat and I am freezing! I call them and now they are telling me it will take about 2 weeks for someone to turn it on. This is ridiculous that there are no other options for heat and gas and National Grid does not care about inconvenience.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

They shut my power down without any notice, in the middle of winter, because I didn't pay my Bills for 2 months. They are not human, bunch of savages run the company. My child became really sick. When I called them and paid the amount due, they said they couldn't restore until 24 hours. My whole family catch cold because of a 200 bill and they shut my power without any notice. Shame on you!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

All the gas services in my house stopped working so I called National Grid on Tuesday Oct. 30 at 9:32 am. After you go through their myriad number options I finally asked for customer service. I explained what the problem was, their service rep put me on hold to talk to the dispatcher to get someone to come out to my house. When the rep came back she said "the reason there is no gas in your house is because we are doing work in the area and we may have cut the gas to your house. Didn’t you get the notice on your door?". I did not and even if they were, why would they cut my service overnight? It’s 40 degrees here in NY, do you know how cold it is in my house?

I have called them throughout the day and they have constantly said that I’m in the system, someone will be there as soon as they can, they will call on the number you provided before they get there. It’s now 8pm and still no sign of a National Grid worker. It’s freezing in my house, no hot water to shower and no stove to cook. Also I have a 6 month pregnant wife who has to endure this with me. It’s so unfair to have to go through this. I don’t wish this on anyone. I have always paid my bill on time, never complained about their high services. This is such a hopeless feeling.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Their electrical service is unreliable and the customer service is worse. Electric will go totally go out, or brown out when the weather conditions are sunny with no high winds. An outage is never handled in a timely matter. Yesterday around 1:30 pm I reported flickering lights to no electric, back to electric then back to issues. Around 5pm The lineman checked my pole to discover our house power had very low voltage. Which at that time the lights seem to be normal. He told me the transformer across the road was bad and advised me to shut the electric off so it does not burn up our appliances.

He told me there was a crew in the area and would be here after they finished their present job. It is now 9:30 am, no crew as of yet. I called them again. Last night was the first snow with no heat except using the burners off and on from the cook stove. I finally decided to switch the house electric back on and take my chances with burning out appliances. I turned off the furnace to use electric space heaters. Sadly, there is no choices. If only I could afford to go totally off the grid. Going to call them again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I moved within Massachusetts. I terminated in one address and started service in another. They said while terminating they can't do Auto pay for my last bill. They said they'd send it to my new address the last bill. They never sent it. Finally a collection agency calls me and says "we sent several mails". It turned out they also sent it to my old address. Finally the collection agency tells me "National Grid wants us to report this to credit bureau". This is ** awful. For their mistake my credit history is **.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I typically try to remain understanding of a company’s perspective on things, especially a company who may receive a lot of negativity from their customers. I’m trying my hardest to maintain that perspective but it’s become very difficult with National Grid at the moment. My electricity was shut off yesterday around noon due to nonpayment. I am aware of the consequences that ultimately come with not paying your bills so I’m not disputing that. My issue is that my last billing statement said nothing about termination. I never received a notice in the mail. I’ve never received a phone call.

When I placed the call to make a payment of $866 yesterday, I did not mention those things. I just took the cease of service as punishment for lack of timely payment and waited the time period that was quoted. I came home around noon today to check the status, and it still was not back on. I called customer service, & the rep stated it was due to the main breaker not being shut off, the serviceman was unable to restore it due to that factor. I double checked to ensure it had been off, and it was. She again quoted me 24 hours. I was unsure as to why I hadn’t been called about the issue at the time of the serviceman’s attempt, because I simply could have rectified it having only been five minutes away, had there been something to rectify.

It is now 9:00 PM, I still don’t have power, I have to sit in my car to charge my phone so that my family can reach me if need be considering I am in a position of power of attorney for an ailing family member & need to receive updates & make medical decisions on their behalf, and the last representative spoken to claims they did not receive a phone call from me at lunchtime today. I have statements, incoming call logs, and outgoing call logs to prove all of what was previously stated. The fact that I was not notified of the termination to begin with, & now the continued issue of not having power has become much more than a few hours without access to a light. I will be consulting with an attorney. National Grid abuses the fact that there are no other providers in Rhode Island & has little to no sense of urgency when it comes to rectifying their wrongs.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've moved twice in NYC with National Grid being my gas service provider and I've had numerous problems. Their website is straight from 1996. Their direct pay system seems intentionally convoluted and often straight up doesn't work at all so you have to go through whatever side deal they have going on with Western Union (extra fee of course!) The customer service is nightmarish and unhelpful. Once you navigate the labyrinth of automated computer customer service reps you will undoubtedly be directed to the wrong person who will put you on hold for 20 minutes before transferring you to another wrong department who will again put you on hold again.

They've literally shut my gas off 2 separate times due to clerical errors on their end. They do this without warning and then fixing their own mistake requires you to be home between the hours of 8-6. Living in NYC and working most jobs here makes that extremely difficult. Horrendous company. The only company worse to deal with is Time Warner (or whatever they change their name to this year) 0/10.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I called them twice. First time they JUST transferred me twice and they told me to provide my gas number or something or they couldn't help me, which made sense. I got the number, called them again the next day. I got transferred FOUR ** TIMES with spending 2 ** HOURS and they STILL trying to transfer me. I asked them why am I keep transferred they go "I just can't help you". You know what? Kiss my ** and go ** yourself.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We moved on August 1. We received a confirmation email regarding electric transfer of service, but nothing on gas. We called and they told us we were all set. Now, mid-September, we contact them again: "Where is our bill?" Oh, we never transferred services! Both utilities are still in the landlord's name! This company and its customer service reps are nothing but a joke!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Where to begin? 1. They "forgot" to close out my old electrical account, then tried to bill me for someone else's power. I found out they combined my old & new accounts & old & new addresses so everything was tangled up. When I called to complain their employees would either hang up, tell me to call back, or send me to disconnected numbers.

2. Every time I tried to make a gas payment (online, by phone, etc) it got rejected due to "service issues." Then they tried to shut my service off. I set up a payment plan once the balance got too large, then they changed the terms of the plan without telling me & rejected my payments. 3. They routinely wait days, even weeks, to accept my payments, which throws all my finances into chaos, as I'm on a limited budget. I never know when they'll post the payment. I ended up having to get both my city hall & the Mass. Attorney General's office involved to solve #s 1 & 2. The company is a joke. It is an absolute disgrace.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Their customer service is what you would expect from a monopoly. They have no invested interest in better performance since we have no viable options for alternative service. I have been trying to talk to customer service for 11 minutes and am still being told that is still more than 10 minutes (been told that for 8 minutes). I had to go through 3 different menu's to get to the point where I have to wait endlessly to talk to someone to just ask a simple question. This is outrageous.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

National Grid employee cut the service to a restaurant, but due to employee mistake they cut service to our restaurant as well. Call already to report the problem 10 hours ago, nobody came to fix it, in the meanwhile business is close and employees have to be sent home. People at National Grid do not care, hope this company disappears, and a good company take it over. I really wish this is not a monopoly and we can choose to change to another company, really bad service from National Grid.!!?

National Grid expert review by Jonathan Trout

National Grid is an investor-owned energy company that services New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and the United Kingdom. It promotes sustainable energy and educates the community about the importance of clean energy and energy-saving practices.

• Smart energy solutions: National Grid’s smart energy solutions program gives you more control over your energy use. Through the program you get free energy kits with smart thermostats, smart plugs and direct-load devices. You can also participate in conservation days where you lower your energy usage during peak hours and receive bonuses on your pricing plan.

• Residential energy saving programs: National Grid gives you the option to participate in multiple energy saving programs like ConnectedSolutions and coolControl. ConnectedSolutions is National Grid’s consumer energy platform that integrates with your smart devices and appliances to control energy use remotely, helping you save more. Eligible customers can participate in the coolControl program, which uses a smart AC kit to let you control your AC unit from your phone. Earn rewards points for participating in the coolControl program.

• Supplier diversity and sustainability: National Grid gives minority-owned, women-owned and small and sustainable businesses equal opportunity to apply for its procurement and sourcing process through its Supplier Diversity Program. This program helps sustain economic growth in the states they operate in.

• National Grid Foundation: The National Grid Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening the economy and improving the quality of life in National Grid’s service areas. It awards grants to nonprofit organizations that strive to make an impact on underserved neighborhoods and organizations that focus on providing environmental education programs.

• Convenience: Start, stop or transfer services, report and view outages and set up online bill-pay from the company’s home page. You can also choose how you want to pay your bill, either by bank account, credit card, phone or automatic payments.

• Best for: customers wanting an electricity provider who cares about sustainable practices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout