1.30/5

New York

365 ConEdison Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2015

Hate Con Edison, they just want to get all your money, every month rates are going higher. I am surprised that no one has take any legal action.

Original review: March 25, 2015

I've been living in my apartment since September 2014. I paid $3364 for someone else's light bill coz they refused to change the name even with them having proof of the lease and my previous address because the person before me had a high amount. They cut my lights off back in October. I have a child who is 7 that is asthmatic and a 9 month old baby girl burning this time she was only 4 months. I explained the situation over and over and they refuse to help me. I had to pay $2200 of the previous owner's account to get the lights on. After that I paid month by month and again on March 23 they cut my lights off because they want me to pay the remaining $2000.

The woman owes because the woman and I have the same last name. Apparently I told them she was my sister which I'm sure I never stated and they contacted my landlord and told him he would be responsible for the payments. He told them he wasn't going to pay and that I was the woman's daughter. My landlord then contacted the woman and explained to her she had to call and remove herself from Con Edison so they can bill her the amount. She explained to him she has done it.

Apparently they never received the memo and now I'm being held accountable for a $3000 bill that has nothing to do with me and they refuse to help me even while I have a 7 year old who has asthma and a 9 month old baby girl, unless I pay this amount in full. I'm beyond stressed out and ready to call the media and anyone I feel can help me with this matter!

Original review: March 20, 2015

Recently canceled my service due to moving mid month. Service was canceled, however I was billed for a full month. When I called asking why I have a bill for 300 dollars, the representative could not tell me why and would do nothing about it. Not only was I billed for a full month, but the price was 1.5 times higher then the previous bills during peak winter for a full month.

When I asked "how that is possible given oil and gas prices have been cut in half for many months now?" Explanation: "I don't know". Not only could they not explain being charged 300 dollars in 15 days, they can't even explain how they price a KWH. This company really takes its name "CON" seriously. Hey Cuomo get your head out of your ** and do something other than make backroom deals with developers!! LaGuardia airport tram from Willets Point? Really.

Original review: March 18, 2015

I feel so blessed to be stuck using this monopoly of a company with the highest rates in the nation. If you fall on hard times, are on assistance or just need general help, forget it; you are better off praying to the gods to strike lightning into a pole and power your house that way. I had to pay an obscene amount of money on an electric bill that wasn't mine to get the power turned on after it was off; and this was after fighting with them for months trying to get it into our names and that we could not afford it; no help at all. Billions of dollars in profit and aging infrastructure that they don't replace... maybe they should worry more about their customers and making electric more available and cheaper since people need it instead of lining the pockets of the people in control.

Original review: March 18, 2015

Every year my Con Edison bill is over six hundred dollars each month. I leave by myself and I find it pure robbery that the line charge is always higher than my usage charge for bill. There is no one else in my house. Why is my bill so high?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: March 12, 2015

I am living check to check and yes my payment be late but it's paid. $245 is a lot for a deposit that you never get back unless you are on time. Which is hard because I have other bills as well. Please look into this - it Hurts when you live check to check.

Original review: March 10, 2015

Same story here... ConEd could not read meter for 2 years, when they did they charged me for an extra 14,500 kWh. My average use is 259 kWh/month, they think I used 400+kWh, which is mathematically impossible. Took me months on the phone to even talk to someone who knew what a kWh actually was; and by the time I did the old meter had "been deposed of" and therefore the readings were "accurate". Every week I was threatened with immanent termination of power for non-payment.

I started a complaint with the NY Public service commission, who have started an investigation. A member of the ConEd "executive board" called me to say that the investigation was closed and that I still owed them money. A collector showed up at my door; a ConEd truck drove up and the driver urinated on our driveway. I have re-contacted the Public Service Commission, as they suggest and as far as I know the investigation continues. I strongly recommend anyone reading this to call them 800-432-337.

Original review: March 9, 2015

We had a gas leak. Con Ed did come and fixed it right away. But we had a lot of trouble to get them back to turn on the gas. This is the SIXTH day, that we still have no gas and no heat in the house. They was here two times. First they said that we need to remove the Sheetrock so they can work on it, which I wished the Con Ed repair guy would told us that. Right away, we did what they asked. And they came back and leave the note that no access to the house which we did specifically ask them to call us or ask the neighbor to open the house for them. Since then, the experience with Con Ed turned from bad to the worst.

We had been calling, we got all the different answers. One said, that they will be here in a couple of hours, one said, "By the way, the mechanic is repair your driveway now. We dispatches whatever is available." (Which is a lie.) The whole weekend, we lived with the phone in our hand. We are afraid to miss any call from Con Ed. Finally, today is Monday. We thought, it will be better. The woman on the phone, explained, it is what it is. Nothing they can do. We can only wait.

Is it acceptable to let your customer have no gas, no heat for 6 days? "Oh, it is not emergency.... nothing she can do." That was the explanation I got today. I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was on hold. I was so desperate. It was very cold the past 5 days. We had to shut off the water and keep the water faucet open. I don't think it is good for the house. We also asked to set the appointment to do that. They said, they can not do that. We are so upset with the whole situation. We have to go to work at the same time. We have 3-4 friends on call with us. In case they call, (if they manage to come and call us), so someone can open the house for them....... At this moment, we are still hoping for their mercy to show up.....

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I called today to speak to customer service, to see if they would help me out. They sent me a disconnect for March 12, so I called and spoke to customer service - I explain that my bill was very high for the month of Dec and Jan and I had an arrangement with them before. If I could have another arrangement so as not to fall too far behind and have them turn off my bill. What a joke... After they look up my account, they told me, they if I didn't make a payment of over $1600, they would turn my lights off.. So he went on to tell me, "Ok I can help a little... if you pay $900 by then you won't get your lights turn off..." Basically if I don't make this payment, by the 12th, they will shut my lights off even after I explain I have small kids in the house and the heat is all electric... Uncaring, heartless company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

My bill is higher than it should be with an unexplained charge. Apparently there are very few people actually answering phones at Con Ed. No way to get through. You can leave voice mail but that is never answered. They should not expect me to be a customer much longer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

Con Ed reports that they haven't gotten into the basement of my property to read the meters. Gas and electric. This is a rental property I own. I estimate it may have been 3 or 4 months since the last access. So three months ago, I recorded the information myself to report it on the phone. I did so and may have made a mistake in recording the information. The following month (Dec '14) I received a bill for ~$10,000, typical level billing is $173 per month. I ignored the bill and sent in the normal amount $173, the following month (Jan '15?) I received a bill for over $11,000.

I called the Con Ed phone service. The agent was very polite and professional and explained exactly what happened. It went like this, she assumed that I flipped the usage numbers on the two gas meter accounts. Instead of generating an estimated bill, she explained, they probably calculated the cost based on the wrong information. So with the number I gave them, they calculated the meter totally resetting past the zero point then adding the amount I reported. Similar to your car odometer reading 750,000 miles, then by reporting 250 miles, assuming it was correct and driving the reading past the 1,000,000 mile mark and then going to the reported 250 miles. They then sent a service man to get a correct reading the next month and added this reading to the wrong reading thus increasing it another $1,000.

This seems to be too blatant of a mistake for a utility of this size to make. I sense a personal animosity on this. I don't know why I'm being "made an example of." The worry I have is that the latest "correct" reading effectively buried the mistake of the previous month. I also get the feeling this is not going to go away without penalizing me. I don't want to held liable for a inaccurate $12,000 bill.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

On 1/7/2015 I paid the Con Edison estimated bill for December 2014, the total amount due of $587.46 by credit card. Con Ed communicated by email to me stating that the payment was successfully processed. But I noticed that Con Ed did not credit that amount. I both wrote on 1/23/15 and called Con Ed on 1/27/15 to report their omission of crediting my deposit, but in both occasion CON ED representatives denied to have received the above amount in spite that I gave them their confirmation number!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

I have been paying for my mom's bill since 2011 after my grandpa passed away. We have always had an issue with it. I once went a whole year without paying my monthly bills because the year before they had over charged me. I have asked them to inspect my meter multiple times. My mom lives alone and will not use much energy. I have to force her to turn on a heater during the winter months. We don't ever have a Xmas tree because we have a cat. But for some strange reason the bill will go from $275 to $500 and even $700 at times. November bill was $75 then December's bill was $525.

I called and asked why this happen. The woman said it was my usage. I asked how is it my usage if she uses the same amount of energy. It was also a warm winter so I know she didn't turn on the heater. The rep was extremely rude. After 20 minutes of getting the run around from this person I just gave up. I will be calling this week to speak to a supervisor not sure how useful they will be.

Second issue we always have they never come to read my second meter. I have given them my phone number & my mother's number so that they can get in. I received a notice saying I will be charged $25 if they don't get to read my meter. My mother spent the whole day waiting downstairs for con Ed to come and they were a no show. Con Edison is awful. Any advice would be great. I read so many complaints yet no one is doing anything about it! I don't know what's worst the MTA or Con Edison.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

I had a payment agreement and a level billing plan. I paid $375 on my bill November 8 and was told I had to pay $575 to reinstate my plan. Which would mean $179 more. I paid another $375 more on December 8, 2014. I was told that they could not restore my agreement unless I paid $475 today. I was spoken to very rudely. I was told to go down to welfare and get some help. I said "We do not qualify for welfare. We are working people." So now I have a turn off notice for $939.72 and a current bill of $139. We had an agreement because of the way we get paid. We have been treated rudely and disrespectfully.

We are 63 years old and have been working and paying bills. We tell the truth about what we can do and can not do and when we can do it. The tone of the representative is drop dead.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

Today is Jan 16, 2015 and gasoline prices in the New York metropolitan area are hovering at more or less $2.00 per gallon. However, my bill from Con Edison is still exorbitantly high. I am still behind $200 from last winter's double rate hike that occurred during the winter 2014 months. And every current bill that they send me shows an inaccurate "last month's" balance. They constantly demand more and more money, which is greedy on their part, with no cares for the consequences on how it affects the city population which includes rich and poor, elderly and disabled.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

My sister is 73 yrs old and is mentally disabled/physically disabled. Con Ed changed her electricity supplier resulting in much higher bills for her usage of electricity. They say we elected this option and we did not. They care to have no oversight in Senior profiles and allow seniors to get ripped off. Why would a senior Medicaid HEAP recipient choose a costlier plan if they knew what they were choosing??? Why would ConEd allow this to happen? We have received turn off notices and bills into the hundreds of dollars. In this computer age where everything everyone does is recorded somewhere, Con Edison is totally in the dark about seniors who are poor and can't afford their mistakes and negligence. They condoned her signing on to a plan she could ill afford and kept repeatedly overcharging her with impunity. Such a heartless public organization doesn't belong in our society

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

When I called customer service, they are talking very rude. I had a payment arrangement and was paying 63 dollars every months, plus my monthly electric bill payment. After a time when I was close to finish payment my arrangement plan, they charged again 565 dollars extra. I asked what's this, they say the past was estimated arrangement... This doesn’t make sense. Because they put 140 dollars estimated, which I hadn't lived for a long time there and surely not used electric much. So, why didn't they said me estimated while I did arrangement plan? I have a lot of dislike things to say but don’t have time now, later on going to write lots of Con Edison negative services. But shortly Con Edison robbing people.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

My Con Ed bill is exceedingly high. I use two, fluorescent light bulbs, a small fridge, and two heaters in the house. No TV, computer, hair dryer, or any other appliance in the house. I am home only 70% of the time. I only turn on my heater at night to warm up my room and the living room for the dogs. My bill was over three hundred dollars. I have no cable or computer since 2009 and my bill is always high. They claim that my charges are actual. I have not put up Christmas or other decoration since 2005. I filed several complaints with PSC and no help. I have had my service interrupted twice for owing them under four hundred dollars. They took a two hundred dollar deposit twice and deny ever receiving it. Knowing that they will not turn service back on without it. Their customer service personnel bully me into paying by consistent threats of turning off my service. How am I supposed to survive if I don't know how much my next bill is going to be?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

My conedison bill keeps getting higher and higher. I had to go online for advice on how to lower it. Since conedison gets all its energy from the stock market you never know what you'll pay next month.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

NYC needs another way to get electricity. I am on disability and signed up for the "CONCERN" program. I made the mistake of paying what I could online before I called con ed, the person I spoke to demanded a deposit so that I could be put on a payment plan and explaining that I have nothing left to give them is just impossible. I tried to explain that I just paid all I could online but he said I have to give him money now, what I paid online does not count.

I was told that by signing up for this "CONCERN" program that I would not receive shut off notices and would not have to have arguments on the phone with con ed representatives. Trying to explain that if I don't physically have the money to pay them that means they can't get any money from me at that exact moment is awful. I always pay my bills, sometimes other bills have to come first that's all, like rent.

This con ed representative I just spoke with who was so hard to talk to I cried because I was so furious. It is hard enough to have to be on disability and balance a small amount of money a month to get by let alone fight with some insensitive person representing a horrible monopoly. I asked him why I bothered sending my information and signing up for this "CONCERN" program if it meant nothing. I was told it meant I would not get shut off... I received this response "We won't shut you off, or I mean we will shut YOU off. We are less likely to shut people off who are in the "CONCERN" program." So what is it? Am I going to be living in the dark because I can't afford their rising electricity costs ($40.00 a month to now $60.00 and I unplug everything) and there is no other choice in electric companies so they can charge what they want? I said if they shut me off over the $80.00 or so dollars I owe them that I would make it known how they treat people with disabilities and tell everyone I possibly could.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

We have been customers of ConEdison for 20 years. We have laundromats in New York that we are constantly buying, selling and renovating. So in February of this year we submitted a request for an upgraded electrical/gas service in our new location on West 116 & Frederick Douglass blvd. Since that we have had 6 inspections and 2 construction teams inspecting the job site. Their last visit was scheduled for October 24. And they were supposed to bring wires and that would be it. When the construction team came and started, they realized that the hole and the pipe, that were inspected a few times before, are too small, and nobody has reported it.

So as of now we have been waiting for 8 months and as it was advised we are going to wait at least 6 months more. Considering in mind that we are tenants who pay 18,000 monthly rent, and we can't open a laundromat till they finish, this is a disaster. Moreover, I called to our ConEd's district 300, and the representative said that in their system under our case ID everything is ok. So the problem wasn't even reported and noted yet.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I have lived in the same studio apartment for 20 years. I have had the same exact electrical/gas uses of the apartment throughout. The first 14 years my total bill averaged $33.00 per month. The last 6 years, my bill has creeped up to $183.00. Part of this is Esco charges which I never authorized. I called them and they gave me a sales speech. I asked them if they have a signature from me agreeing to their service and they backtracked and offered to terminate. Even without the Esco charges, my bill has more than tripled in 6 years. I have had trouble paying these amounts each month and have been charged "adjustment" fees which come to find out are late charges.

Two days ago, my electricity was surprisingly turned off (I received no deadline) and I was charged $120 to turn it back on in addition to the $518 I had to shell out and the additional $53 monthly installment payments, which will be added to my already too high bill. I spoke to a neighbor who has a larger apartment than I have and she said she does not get charged nearly as much. What is going on? Can anyone tell me how I can get my money back? Will I need to give up my apartment because I can't pay the skyrocketing Con Ed bill?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I have had a direct payment withdrawal with Con Edison for the past decade with only a few exceptions when my employment was not consistent, but for the most part I have been on time and faithful with my payments. I moved into another apartment almost 2 years ago. My landlord did not tell me that the meters to all three apartments were located in the entrance leading to my apartment - which he has the key. One year after I moved in, I began seeing notices that I would receive penalties for not allowing the Con Ed rep in to see the meter. I had no idea what they were writing about. I have lived in apartment buildings for 22 years and allowing access to the electric company reps have never been an apartment tenant's responsibility. It is the responsibility of the owner to provide access. The meters are for all three apartments. It seems my landlord owed con Edison over $1200 and was refusing to cooperate with them, so they began with harassing his tenants hoping to get payment. Eventually, he did allow them access to all 3 meters of the building.

Now my account which has been paid in full every month on time was charged an extra $716.00 on top of my regular bill with a "penalties" and supposedly back payment for a 18 months on what I should've paid according to the meter readings. First, I should not be held liable for my landlord's refusal to cooperate with Con Edison and have to pay penalties. Second, I should not receive notices to opt for me to pay his bill. Third, I should not be charged for 18 months worth of charges without proof that every cent is mine. I believe they are saddling me with all 3 apartments back charges. I spent 2 hours talking to a Con Edison supervisor explaining the entire situation. They were unwilling to budge and insisted the charges belonged to me. It is unfortunate because I had gotten myself out of debt (with the exception of student loans) and in one billing went into almost $1000 into debt due to Con Edison.

This company is a sloppy, unethical mega-tron of a beast that is out of control and literally disrupting and in some cases dismantling and destroying the lives of its customers. Its monopoly must end and it must be held accountable and forced to prove all excess charges from the norm, not allowed to harass tenants because they can't reach the landlord or tack charges to relatives' bills because they cannot reach another relative. Making mistakes on a bill or giving estimated charges that are unrealistic and then penalizing a customer for them and refusing to credit a customer in a timely manner is unacceptable and we need to do something. The people of NYS vs. Con Edison --- I'm all for it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

Con Edison seems not to have properly trained their customer service agents. They provide different responses or information to customers when you call at different times and it's a nightmare. Here is my story. I leased an apartment in March and then got a tenant on sublease to help me with the rent. The tenant was supposed to pay for the ConEd bill and was able to successfully open an account with ConEd using the sublease in March.

On August 26th, after many taking my tenant to a small claims court for other unpaid loans and bills, she decided to move out. She called ConEd to close the account on August 26th but she sent me a notice with a move-out date of 30th September. After finding out, I called ConEd and spoke to a rep, explaining everything to them. Now according to NY laws, I could not physically turn off the light & gas on the tenant even if she is not paying her rent or bills. I explained this the rep and I was assured that they would note this and that the tenant would be billed for the month of September, when she was still living there.

Come October, after the tenant has moved out with no forwarding address, I called ConEd to open the account (It turns out anyone can open an account with your apartment address even if they don't intend to pay for the bill and then at the end of the day, the legal lease holder for the apartment is left with the bill). As soon as my account was open, I was hit with the bill for the month of September!!! WTF!! After I had called and ensured I won't end up with the bill.

I called again contesting the bill. I was asked to forward all proof I had that my previous tenant was still living in the apartment for the month of September, after which they would review and get back to me. I sent them an email from my tenant stating that she would move out by the end of September as well as an official notice of termination (which marks the beginning of an eviction process) dated in September.

A week went by and no call from ConEd. I called again, another agent. Explained everything and she went over the notes they had on my account. She told me that she had spoken with her supervisor and they had decided to reset my account to October 1st and that I should provide a meter reading. I woke up my super in the middle of the night to go to the meter room, took the reading and even pictures of the meter and sent it to the agent. She said she would call back. She did not. I called again and got another agent. She said she did not have access to the previous agent's email account so she can't see the picture to reset the account. She said she would notify the other agent to call me after finishing with the current customer.

Following day, no call. I call again, new agent. Explained everything all over again. The fellow kept on talking over me and rather saying I wasn't listening to him. In a summary, he said they can't reset the account because I'm the legal lease holder and so it's my responsibility. According to him, ConEd does not honor subleases (If this was the case how the "F" did my tenant open the account in the first place?!) I asked for a supervisor, he was not willing to put a supervisor on saying they would also tell me the same and that no one there would change the account. I got pissed because the guy still did not understand my point that if it is their policy, why wasn't I informed of this way back in September when the tenant was still around and I could have collected the bill.

I hung up and called again. Got another agent. Explained again. Got the same response that I had to pay it because I was the legal lease holder. They were pretty adamant that paying the bill was my responsibility, what they failed to pick up was that they were partly responsible for the bill because their agents provided wrong information. If I was aware that this was policy from the beginning, I would ensured the tenant paid the bill before she left (THAT IS WHY THERE ARE THINGS LIKE SECURITY DEPOSIT!). End of the day, I'm the one left with the bill. If I could give them negative stars, I would. And I do plan to make official complaints on all business monitoring agencies. ConEd you need to step up.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2014

I got 4 month bill from ConEd where is not belong to my usage. My tenant closed her ConEd account but still using the premise 4 months. Now I open the ConEd account but ConEd put the last 4 months electric bill onto my bill and force me to pay for it. I called ConEd about tenant account. I was told me it is not of your business because I am not the account owner. I don't get any information of Tenant's utility account. I have no idea tenant close their account and still using it. The bill put into landlord when l open my account later (tenant move out).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

The woman was approx. 80 years of age. She just had hip surgery. It was summer in palm springs California, lets just say it was HOT! Can you imagine having Con man ed shutoff your power in the heat of summer, while your bedridden, after paying them $$$$$ for 60 plus years?! They know your age, SS#, past address........ When she was found, I believe it was over 115 F in her apt...... She obviously failed to thrive. Con Ed made sure, she didn't get one cent of free power though she was probably overcharged many times........ I've never met anyone that was undercharged, I have been overcharged numerous times..... Now I videotape & photograph.....read your own meter, over time, you maybe unpleasantly surprised.......

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

I am constantly being overcharged by Con Edison and getting my lights turned off! In October 2013 I paid over $1000 and thought my bill would go to Zero since that was my balance but for some reason my bill remained as if I still owed $1500.00. I continued to make monthly payments in full trying to bring that $1500 charge down and have had to go to the Social Services for help with these ridiculous bills. HRA just recently paid almost $500 for me and my bill is now $1666.00. Con Edison are scammers and con artists and I am getting fed up with these bills. Can I sue them?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

I found out that Con Edison was billing me for the wrong meter. THEY SAID I HAD TO BE AVAILABLE ALL DAY TO WAIT FOR THEIR REPRESENTATIVE. The CON ED representative came out and verified I had been billed for the wrong meter for two years. (helpful person) He said CON ED would fix the problem and credit me for all the excess money I had been paying for Con Ed electricity. He suggested that I call Con Ed after two weeks. After two weeks I spoke with a service representative who said it would take a month to do this. After a month I spoke with a service representative who said I needed to make an appointment have them come out AGAIN so they could verify my neighbor's meter. (Con Ed had come out a month ago). Then I got a letter from con ed saying they were closing the investigation because they could not reach me to schedule an appointment.

I Called the Public Service Commission who took my complaint. Got a call from CON ED saying they were working on my case and would resolve it within 7 business days. I got a call from Con Ed after 7 business days from a representative from their executive council who was JUST STARTING to work on this. She keeps insisting they need to meet with my neighbor to verify the other meter. When I ordered service from CON ED I did not need to get my neighbor involved in my getting service for my abode.

CON ED seems to think I should wait two months for them to get around to crediting my account (They will not credit my account until they "VERIFY" who is getting electricity from the meter they have been billing me for for two years - FOUND NOT TO BE MY METER.) DEALING WITH CON ED is impossible. They make up these idiotic rules to frustrate customers and not do the work they need to do.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

Con Ed added a $1770 adjustment to the account without providing an explanation.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2014

Con Edison sent me to a collection agency for a bill that I owed. Now they removed it from collection and added the old bill to my mother's Con Ed bill claiming we are using the same social security number. This is not true since I was a minor when my mom opened her account in 1980 and our names are different. I called and said this bill was my responsibility but they won't removed it from my mother's bill. I think it's not right that they add a bill to a relative and would lie about such confidential information and tamper with someones social security number. Called and heard 3 different versions of why this bill was added to her. They suggested I file a police report for identity theft just to get this bill paid.

ConEdison Company Information