1.29/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

New York

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

371 ConEdison Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 9, 2015

Con Edison has a policy to charge a deposit for customers who make a late payment. So if you make one late payment they tack on this deposit and refuse to remove it from your account. I don't care how careful you are, sometimes life gets in the way, and Con Ed doesn't care because the goal for them is to get that deposit added on to your account. The deposit amount is completely unreasonable and is usually triple the amount of your bill.

I asked what was Con Ed doing with the money and they said they hold it in a bank account to accrue interest. Huh? So you are stressing families that live check to check and barely make ends meet for them to pay this deposit so you Con Ed could put the deposit in a bank to accrue interest? How do I, the consumer, know if the pennies you are supposedly "crediting" back to my account is actually what my funds accrued? I mean, think about it, if they are doing this to thousands of families, that probably adds up to millions of dollars that are sitting in bank account "accruing interest." Seems like Con Ed found a way to generate millions in supplementary income, in addition to already monopolizes electricity and gas in NY, while middle-income families get screwed again!

Original review: May 20, 2015

The lights in my house were flicking and dimming randomly. Con Edison gave me appointment only in 2 weeks. In one week the conditions became worth, my lights, air-conditions and all appliances were getting on/off constantly. When I asked Con Ed to expedite an appointment they refused. In 2 days I had an outage and Con Ed came only on the second day but they did not fix problem completely. They disconnected 220v line restored lights but my appliances are not working without 220v line. Con Edison did not tell me that they disconnected 220v line and I called appliance repair service who charged me $40 and told me that I do not have 220v line connected. When I called Con Edison they setup a new appointment only in 6 weeks.

Original review: May 15, 2015

Con Ed sent a postcard saying they will charge $25.00 each month if they cannot read the meter. Have they ever heard of work? The instructions given for providing the meter reading yourself by phone are so convoluted. It is laughable. Note their own employees are given equipment to read the meter but apparently it's "thought" to be a piece of cake for a lay consumer. It is not as if they are not getting money. In fact they pull payment from the bank every month based on an estimate. Hard to fathom how Con Ed is harmed such as to tack on a $300 premium annually. This is an abuse.

Original review: May 4, 2015

My bill was due on April 28th 2015 and given some circumstances, I made an online payment the day of the due date. The night before I tried paying over the phone, but they do maintenance work for a few hours. They charged me over 3,000 dollars for a deposit when I made the payment on the day it was due. They are a money hungry corporation with rude employees. Even the supervisors make no sense with their reasoning. How can you tell me my bill is due on April 24th, when the statement says APRIL 28th? I'm sorry but are we speaking and reading the same English dialect here? Total lack of professionalism in all aspects. How can they threaten a business who has been a customer for over 20 years? So angry.

Original review: April 9, 2015

I recently moved into a new apartment in a new building (June)- the apartment had never been lived in prior. On the third month we received our "first bill" with an estimate of ~$1200 owed and a turn off notice. After talking to customer service, they claimed it was "just an estimate". To be fair, they reduced that bill down by ~$700. That still left a bill of over $500 for 2 months, so we paid $200 to keep the power on and asked our landlord to have an electrician investigate. Next bill I get is over a thousand dollars. I'm told Con ED replaced the last meter (In July) and they have no reason to believe the bills for the initial summer months shouldn't be $250.

The thing is, all apartments in this building are identical and we have the same setup as everyone else for AC. So when I find out the other apartments (I'm friends with each of the other tenants) didn't have bills even CLOSE to this high, I once again tried to get this resolved. Con Ed said "that seems high" and that they would look into it. They did nothing. My landlord did nothing because he thought the issue was resolved after initially bringing the electrician out, who said the same as the con ed person over the phone "Something seems wrong".

In any case, now I'm back to the same situation. The issue was never resolved, my monthly charge has been around $100 a month ever since the disputed couple of months, but no ground has been gained in getting that resolved, nor do I want to pay this. I don't know what to do. It seems like I'm being forced to enter a payment plan and pay the additional $500 no matter what. This is what happens when there is a lack of competition in America. Service turns to **. Representatives don't give a rat's ass. Nothing is ever resolved.

Finally, we are seeing changes to our ISP providers thanks to Google. When can we get some options with how we purchase energy? Con ED is absolutely the WORST. But in NYC, it doesn't seem like I have any other option. TLDR: Con ED overcharged us, refused to evaluate the issue after replacing the meter, continued to compound late fees, and will do nothing about the initial charges that were 100% inaccurate. As of today, it looks like I'm going to have to pay them, as well as a ** of late fees for waiting for them to actually look into this problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ConEdison?

Original review: March 30, 2015

Every month I'm crossing my fingers that I don't receive a ridiculous Con Ed bill. Every month my bills range from $500-$800 and recently received a $1200.00 bill. I know for a fact that they are not reading my meter and when I call and complain that my bill is too high they give the excuse it's electric heating. First off, it's a two bedroom apartment that I share with my son and we're barely there during the week since I work and he's in school for most of the day. I'm billed as if I was running a business out of my small two bedroom. I've been with this battle for the past 10 years and the only way I'm able to pay is making a payment agreements with a monthly installation amount on top of my bill. I recently had to establish a new agreement and partially beg for it since I was told that my account has too much history of payment agreements. Please someone provide some guidance. This is absolutely insane and I have no idea who I can go to for assistance..

Original review: March 25, 2015

I've been living in my apartment since September 2014. I paid $3364 for someone else's light bill coz they refused to change the name even with them having proof of the lease and my previous address because the person before me had a high amount. They cut my lights off back in October. I have a child who is 7 that is asthmatic and a 9 month old baby girl burning this time she was only 4 months. I explained the situation over and over and they refuse to help me. I had to pay $2200 of the previous owner's account to get the lights on. After that I paid month by month and again on March 23 they cut my lights off because they want me to pay the remaining $2000.

The woman owes because the woman and I have the same last name. Apparently I told them she was my sister which I'm sure I never stated and they contacted my landlord and told him he would be responsible for the payments. He told them he wasn't going to pay and that I was the woman's daughter. My landlord then contacted the woman and explained to her she had to call and remove herself from Con Edison so they can bill her the amount. She explained to him she has done it.

Apparently they never received the memo and now I'm being held accountable for a $3000 bill that has nothing to do with me and they refuse to help me even while I have a 7 year old who has asthma and a 9 month old baby girl, unless I pay this amount in full. I'm beyond stressed out and ready to call the media and anyone I feel can help me with this matter!

Original review: March 27, 2015

Hate Con Edison, they just want to get all your money, every month rates are going higher. I am surprised that no one has take any legal action.

Original review: March 20, 2015

Recently canceled my service due to moving mid month. Service was canceled, however I was billed for a full month. When I called asking why I have a bill for 300 dollars, the representative could not tell me why and would do nothing about it. Not only was I billed for a full month, but the price was 1.5 times higher then the previous bills during peak winter for a full month.

When I asked "how that is possible given oil and gas prices have been cut in half for many months now?" Explanation: "I don't know". Not only could they not explain being charged 300 dollars in 15 days, they can't even explain how they price a KWH. This company really takes its name "CON" seriously. Hey Cuomo get your head out of your ** and do something other than make backroom deals with developers!! LaGuardia airport tram from Willets Point? Really.

Original review: March 18, 2015

Every year my Con Edison bill is over six hundred dollars each month. I leave by myself and I find it pure robbery that the line charge is always higher than my usage charge for bill. There is no one else in my house. Why is my bill so high?

Original review: March 18, 2015

I feel so blessed to be stuck using this monopoly of a company with the highest rates in the nation. If you fall on hard times, are on assistance or just need general help, forget it; you are better off praying to the gods to strike lightning into a pole and power your house that way. I had to pay an obscene amount of money on an electric bill that wasn't mine to get the power turned on after it was off; and this was after fighting with them for months trying to get it into our names and that we could not afford it; no help at all. Billions of dollars in profit and aging infrastructure that they don't replace... maybe they should worry more about their customers and making electric more available and cheaper since people need it instead of lining the pockets of the people in control.

Original review: March 12, 2015

I am living check to check and yes my payment be late but it's paid. $245 is a lot for a deposit that you never get back unless you are on time. Which is hard because I have other bills as well. Please look into this - it Hurts when you live check to check.

Original review: March 9, 2015

We had a gas leak. Con Ed did come and fixed it right away. But we had a lot of trouble to get them back to turn on the gas. This is the SIXTH day, that we still have no gas and no heat in the house. They was here two times. First they said that we need to remove the Sheetrock so they can work on it, which I wished the Con Ed repair guy would told us that. Right away, we did what they asked. And they came back and leave the note that no access to the house which we did specifically ask them to call us or ask the neighbor to open the house for them. Since then, the experience with Con Ed turned from bad to the worst.

We had been calling, we got all the different answers. One said, that they will be here in a couple of hours, one said, "By the way, the mechanic is repair your driveway now. We dispatches whatever is available." (Which is a lie.) The whole weekend, we lived with the phone in our hand. We are afraid to miss any call from Con Ed. Finally, today is Monday. We thought, it will be better. The woman on the phone, explained, it is what it is. Nothing they can do. We can only wait.

Is it acceptable to let your customer have no gas, no heat for 6 days? "Oh, it is not emergency.... nothing she can do." That was the explanation I got today. I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was on hold. I was so desperate. It was very cold the past 5 days. We had to shut off the water and keep the water faucet open. I don't think it is good for the house. We also asked to set the appointment to do that. They said, they can not do that. We are so upset with the whole situation. We have to go to work at the same time. We have 3-4 friends on call with us. In case they call, (if they manage to come and call us), so someone can open the house for them....... At this moment, we are still hoping for their mercy to show up.....

Original review: March 10, 2015

Same story here... ConEd could not read meter for 2 years, when they did they charged me for an extra 14,500 kWh. My average use is 259 kWh/month, they think I used 400+kWh, which is mathematically impossible. Took me months on the phone to even talk to someone who knew what a kWh actually was; and by the time I did the old meter had "been deposed of" and therefore the readings were "accurate". Every week I was threatened with immanent termination of power for non-payment.

I started a complaint with the NY Public service commission, who have started an investigation. A member of the ConEd "executive board" called me to say that the investigation was closed and that I still owed them money. A collector showed up at my door; a ConEd truck drove up and the driver urinated on our driveway. I have re-contacted the Public Service Commission, as they suggest and as far as I know the investigation continues. I strongly recommend anyone reading this to call them 800-432-337.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I called today to speak to customer service, to see if they would help me out. They sent me a disconnect for March 12, so I called and spoke to customer service - I explain that my bill was very high for the month of Dec and Jan and I had an arrangement with them before. If I could have another arrangement so as not to fall too far behind and have them turn off my bill. What a joke... After they look up my account, they told me, they if I didn't make a payment of over $1600, they would turn my lights off.. So he went on to tell me, "Ok I can help a little... if you pay $900 by then you won't get your lights turn off..." Basically if I don't make this payment, by the 12th, they will shut my lights off even after I explain I have small kids in the house and the heat is all electric... Uncaring, heartless company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

My bill is higher than it should be with an unexplained charge. Apparently there are very few people actually answering phones at Con Ed. No way to get through. You can leave voice mail but that is never answered. They should not expect me to be a customer much longer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

Con Ed reports that they haven't gotten into the basement of my property to read the meters. Gas and electric. This is a rental property I own. I estimate it may have been 3 or 4 months since the last access. So three months ago, I recorded the information myself to report it on the phone. I did so and may have made a mistake in recording the information. The following month (Dec '14) I received a bill for ~$10,000, typical level billing is $173 per month. I ignored the bill and sent in the normal amount $173, the following month (Jan '15?) I received a bill for over $11,000.

I called the Con Ed phone service. The agent was very polite and professional and explained exactly what happened. It went like this, she assumed that I flipped the usage numbers on the two gas meter accounts. Instead of generating an estimated bill, she explained, they probably calculated the cost based on the wrong information. So with the number I gave them, they calculated the meter totally resetting past the zero point then adding the amount I reported. Similar to your car odometer reading 750,000 miles, then by reporting 250 miles, assuming it was correct and driving the reading past the 1,000,000 mile mark and then going to the reported 250 miles. They then sent a service man to get a correct reading the next month and added this reading to the wrong reading thus increasing it another $1,000.

This seems to be too blatant of a mistake for a utility of this size to make. I sense a personal animosity on this. I don't know why I'm being "made an example of." The worry I have is that the latest "correct" reading effectively buried the mistake of the previous month. I also get the feeling this is not going to go away without penalizing me. I don't want to held liable for a inaccurate $12,000 bill.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

I have been paying for my mom's bill since 2011 after my grandpa passed away. We have always had an issue with it. I once went a whole year without paying my monthly bills because the year before they had over charged me. I have asked them to inspect my meter multiple times. My mom lives alone and will not use much energy. I have to force her to turn on a heater during the winter months. We don't ever have a Xmas tree because we have a cat. But for some strange reason the bill will go from $275 to $500 and even $700 at times. November bill was $75 then December's bill was $525.

I called and asked why this happen. The woman said it was my usage. I asked how is it my usage if she uses the same amount of energy. It was also a warm winter so I know she didn't turn on the heater. The rep was extremely rude. After 20 minutes of getting the run around from this person I just gave up. I will be calling this week to speak to a supervisor not sure how useful they will be.

Second issue we always have they never come to read my second meter. I have given them my phone number & my mother's number so that they can get in. I received a notice saying I will be charged $25 if they don't get to read my meter. My mother spent the whole day waiting downstairs for con Ed to come and they were a no show. Con Edison is awful. Any advice would be great. I read so many complaints yet no one is doing anything about it! I don't know what's worst the MTA or Con Edison.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

On 1/7/2015 I paid the Con Edison estimated bill for December 2014, the total amount due of $587.46 by credit card. Con Ed communicated by email to me stating that the payment was successfully processed. But I noticed that Con Ed did not credit that amount. I both wrote on 1/23/15 and called Con Ed on 1/27/15 to report their omission of crediting my deposit, but in both occasion CON ED representatives denied to have received the above amount in spite that I gave them their confirmation number!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

I had a payment agreement and a level billing plan. I paid $375 on my bill November 8 and was told I had to pay $575 to reinstate my plan. Which would mean $179 more. I paid another $375 more on December 8, 2014. I was told that they could not restore my agreement unless I paid $475 today. I was spoken to very rudely. I was told to go down to welfare and get some help. I said "We do not qualify for welfare. We are working people." So now I have a turn off notice for $939.72 and a current bill of $139. We had an agreement because of the way we get paid. We have been treated rudely and disrespectfully.

We are 63 years old and have been working and paying bills. We tell the truth about what we can do and can not do and when we can do it. The tone of the representative is drop dead.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

Today is Jan 16, 2015 and gasoline prices in the New York metropolitan area are hovering at more or less $2.00 per gallon. However, my bill from Con Edison is still exorbitantly high. I am still behind $200 from last winter's double rate hike that occurred during the winter 2014 months. And every current bill that they send me shows an inaccurate "last month's" balance. They constantly demand more and more money, which is greedy on their part, with no cares for the consequences on how it affects the city population which includes rich and poor, elderly and disabled.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

My sister is 73 yrs old and is mentally disabled/physically disabled. Con Ed changed her electricity supplier resulting in much higher bills for her usage of electricity. They say we elected this option and we did not. They care to have no oversight in Senior profiles and allow seniors to get ripped off. Why would a senior Medicaid HEAP recipient choose a costlier plan if they knew what they were choosing??? Why would ConEd allow this to happen? We have received turn off notices and bills into the hundreds of dollars. In this computer age where everything everyone does is recorded somewhere, Con Edison is totally in the dark about seniors who are poor and can't afford their mistakes and negligence. They condoned her signing on to a plan she could ill afford and kept repeatedly overcharging her with impunity. Such a heartless public organization doesn't belong in our society

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

When I called customer service, they are talking very rude. I had a payment arrangement and was paying 63 dollars every months, plus my monthly electric bill payment. After a time when I was close to finish payment my arrangement plan, they charged again 565 dollars extra. I asked what's this, they say the past was estimated arrangement... This doesn’t make sense. Because they put 140 dollars estimated, which I hadn't lived for a long time there and surely not used electric much. So, why didn't they said me estimated while I did arrangement plan? I have a lot of dislike things to say but don’t have time now, later on going to write lots of Con Edison negative services. But shortly Con Edison robbing people.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

My Con Ed bill is exceedingly high. I use two, fluorescent light bulbs, a small fridge, and two heaters in the house. No TV, computer, hair dryer, or any other appliance in the house. I am home only 70% of the time. I only turn on my heater at night to warm up my room and the living room for the dogs. My bill was over three hundred dollars. I have no cable or computer since 2009 and my bill is always high. They claim that my charges are actual. I have not put up Christmas or other decoration since 2005. I filed several complaints with PSC and no help. I have had my service interrupted twice for owing them under four hundred dollars. They took a two hundred dollar deposit twice and deny ever receiving it. Knowing that they will not turn service back on without it. Their customer service personnel bully me into paying by consistent threats of turning off my service. How am I supposed to survive if I don't know how much my next bill is going to be?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

My conedison bill keeps getting higher and higher. I had to go online for advice on how to lower it. Since conedison gets all its energy from the stock market you never know what you'll pay next month.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

NYC needs another way to get electricity. I am on disability and signed up for the "CONCERN" program. I made the mistake of paying what I could online before I called con ed, the person I spoke to demanded a deposit so that I could be put on a payment plan and explaining that I have nothing left to give them is just impossible. I tried to explain that I just paid all I could online but he said I have to give him money now, what I paid online does not count.

I was told that by signing up for this "CONCERN" program that I would not receive shut off notices and would not have to have arguments on the phone with con ed representatives. Trying to explain that if I don't physically have the money to pay them that means they can't get any money from me at that exact moment is awful. I always pay my bills, sometimes other bills have to come first that's all, like rent.

This con ed representative I just spoke with who was so hard to talk to I cried because I was so furious. It is hard enough to have to be on disability and balance a small amount of money a month to get by let alone fight with some insensitive person representing a horrible monopoly. I asked him why I bothered sending my information and signing up for this "CONCERN" program if it meant nothing. I was told it meant I would not get shut off... I received this response "We won't shut you off, or I mean we will shut YOU off. We are less likely to shut people off who are in the "CONCERN" program." So what is it? Am I going to be living in the dark because I can't afford their rising electricity costs ($40.00 a month to now $60.00 and I unplug everything) and there is no other choice in electric companies so they can charge what they want? I said if they shut me off over the $80.00 or so dollars I owe them that I would make it known how they treat people with disabilities and tell everyone I possibly could.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

We have been customers of ConEdison for 20 years. We have laundromats in New York that we are constantly buying, selling and renovating. So in February of this year we submitted a request for an upgraded electrical/gas service in our new location on West 116 & Frederick Douglass blvd. Since that we have had 6 inspections and 2 construction teams inspecting the job site. Their last visit was scheduled for October 24. And they were supposed to bring wires and that would be it. When the construction team came and started, they realized that the hole and the pipe, that were inspected a few times before, are too small, and nobody has reported it.

So as of now we have been waiting for 8 months and as it was advised we are going to wait at least 6 months more. Considering in mind that we are tenants who pay 18,000 monthly rent, and we can't open a laundromat till they finish, this is a disaster. Moreover, I called to our ConEd's district 300, and the representative said that in their system under our case ID everything is ok. So the problem wasn't even reported and noted yet.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I have lived in the same studio apartment for 20 years. I have had the same exact electrical/gas uses of the apartment throughout. The first 14 years my total bill averaged $33.00 per month. The last 6 years, my bill has creeped up to $183.00. Part of this is Esco charges which I never authorized. I called them and they gave me a sales speech. I asked them if they have a signature from me agreeing to their service and they backtracked and offered to terminate. Even without the Esco charges, my bill has more than tripled in 6 years. I have had trouble paying these amounts each month and have been charged "adjustment" fees which come to find out are late charges.

Two days ago, my electricity was surprisingly turned off (I received no deadline) and I was charged $120 to turn it back on in addition to the $518 I had to shell out and the additional $53 monthly installment payments, which will be added to my already too high bill. I spoke to a neighbor who has a larger apartment than I have and she said she does not get charged nearly as much. What is going on? Can anyone tell me how I can get my money back? Will I need to give up my apartment because I can't pay the skyrocketing Con Ed bill?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I have had a direct payment withdrawal with Con Edison for the past decade with only a few exceptions when my employment was not consistent, but for the most part I have been on time and faithful with my payments. I moved into another apartment almost 2 years ago. My landlord did not tell me that the meters to all three apartments were located in the entrance leading to my apartment - which he has the key. One year after I moved in, I began seeing notices that I would receive penalties for not allowing the Con Ed rep in to see the meter. I had no idea what they were writing about. I have lived in apartment buildings for 22 years and allowing access to the electric company reps have never been an apartment tenant's responsibility. It is the responsibility of the owner to provide access. The meters are for all three apartments. It seems my landlord owed con Edison over $1200 and was refusing to cooperate with them, so they began with harassing his tenants hoping to get payment. Eventually, he did allow them access to all 3 meters of the building.

Now my account which has been paid in full every month on time was charged an extra $716.00 on top of my regular bill with a "penalties" and supposedly back payment for a 18 months on what I should've paid according to the meter readings. First, I should not be held liable for my landlord's refusal to cooperate with Con Edison and have to pay penalties. Second, I should not receive notices to opt for me to pay his bill. Third, I should not be charged for 18 months worth of charges without proof that every cent is mine. I believe they are saddling me with all 3 apartments back charges. I spent 2 hours talking to a Con Edison supervisor explaining the entire situation. They were unwilling to budge and insisted the charges belonged to me. It is unfortunate because I had gotten myself out of debt (with the exception of student loans) and in one billing went into almost $1000 into debt due to Con Edison.

This company is a sloppy, unethical mega-tron of a beast that is out of control and literally disrupting and in some cases dismantling and destroying the lives of its customers. Its monopoly must end and it must be held accountable and forced to prove all excess charges from the norm, not allowed to harass tenants because they can't reach the landlord or tack charges to relatives' bills because they cannot reach another relative. Making mistakes on a bill or giving estimated charges that are unrealistic and then penalizing a customer for them and refusing to credit a customer in a timely manner is unacceptable and we need to do something. The people of NYS vs. Con Edison --- I'm all for it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

Con Edison seems not to have properly trained their customer service agents. They provide different responses or information to customers when you call at different times and it's a nightmare. Here is my story. I leased an apartment in March and then got a tenant on sublease to help me with the rent. The tenant was supposed to pay for the ConEd bill and was able to successfully open an account with ConEd using the sublease in March.

On August 26th, after many taking my tenant to a small claims court for other unpaid loans and bills, she decided to move out. She called ConEd to close the account on August 26th but she sent me a notice with a move-out date of 30th September. After finding out, I called ConEd and spoke to a rep, explaining everything to them. Now according to NY laws, I could not physically turn off the light & gas on the tenant even if she is not paying her rent or bills. I explained this the rep and I was assured that they would note this and that the tenant would be billed for the month of September, when she was still living there.

Come October, after the tenant has moved out with no forwarding address, I called ConEd to open the account (It turns out anyone can open an account with your apartment address even if they don't intend to pay for the bill and then at the end of the day, the legal lease holder for the apartment is left with the bill). As soon as my account was open, I was hit with the bill for the month of September!!! WTF!! After I had called and ensured I won't end up with the bill.

I called again contesting the bill. I was asked to forward all proof I had that my previous tenant was still living in the apartment for the month of September, after which they would review and get back to me. I sent them an email from my tenant stating that she would move out by the end of September as well as an official notice of termination (which marks the beginning of an eviction process) dated in September.

A week went by and no call from ConEd. I called again, another agent. Explained everything and she went over the notes they had on my account. She told me that she had spoken with her supervisor and they had decided to reset my account to October 1st and that I should provide a meter reading. I woke up my super in the middle of the night to go to the meter room, took the reading and even pictures of the meter and sent it to the agent. She said she would call back. She did not. I called again and got another agent. She said she did not have access to the previous agent's email account so she can't see the picture to reset the account. She said she would notify the other agent to call me after finishing with the current customer.

Following day, no call. I call again, new agent. Explained everything all over again. The fellow kept on talking over me and rather saying I wasn't listening to him. In a summary, he said they can't reset the account because I'm the legal lease holder and so it's my responsibility. According to him, ConEd does not honor subleases (If this was the case how the "F" did my tenant open the account in the first place?!) I asked for a supervisor, he was not willing to put a supervisor on saying they would also tell me the same and that no one there would change the account. I got pissed because the guy still did not understand my point that if it is their policy, why wasn't I informed of this way back in September when the tenant was still around and I could have collected the bill.

I hung up and called again. Got another agent. Explained again. Got the same response that I had to pay it because I was the legal lease holder. They were pretty adamant that paying the bill was my responsibility, what they failed to pick up was that they were partly responsible for the bill because their agents provided wrong information. If I was aware that this was policy from the beginning, I would ensured the tenant paid the bill before she left (THAT IS WHY THERE ARE THINGS LIKE SECURITY DEPOSIT!). End of the day, I'm the one left with the bill. If I could give them negative stars, I would. And I do plan to make official complaints on all business monitoring agencies. ConEd you need to step up.

ConEdison Company Information