United Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When booking a flight online, BEWARE of the travel insurance option. United has its website have the option pre-checked, so that you have to "OPT-OUT" so as not to get charged for it. Such a scam! I unfortunately did not notice it until after I had checked out. I called customer service right away, but after waiting on-hold for 20 minutes, I was told by the United agent that they "have nothing to do with the insurance," and that I'd have to talk to the insurance company. The United agent gave me a bogus Insurance Policy number and transferred me to the insurance company, where I was on-hold again for several minutes. They told me I could not cancel the policy as it was "not in the system yet." Have to call back after 24 hrs. Crazy!

I have flown over 8mm miles. Here is one of the hundreds of terrible United Airlines experiences I've had: United cancelled my flight from Denver to Jackson Hole. The desk agent told me (in a whisper) that it was cancelled because there wasn't enough passengers to make it worth United's expense. I missed a critical meeting, which hurt my business. When I called and asked about it, United's call center agent said, "If you don't like it - fly another airline." I now avoid United whenever possible, and have for 10 years. You should avoid United too. Their culture is broken. United is un-American. Worst Airline in America.

I was flying from Denver to Vancouver, BC. The fellow next to me throws up on the table and himself. I ask the flight attendant to get a face cloth for the guy so he can clean up and some paper towels. I am told by two flight attendants there are no towels or paper towels to clean the mess up. I sit for 2.5 hours on the plane surround by vomit. After the flight I asked if they would be cleaning it up and she said to me, "We are not allowed to touch it." I fly 80 plus times a year. United will never see a penny from me again. They never responded to my complaint.

My husband and I booked a trip to Cancun in March 2017 for our 25th Anniversary. We preselected our seats in December. Upon flight check-in for our return trip I noticed we had different seats assigned several rows away from each other. Our preselected seats were shown as now empty but could be had for a $92 upgrade per passenger. Wait, what?! Without paying extra, we're now given the option of seats together in the back rows near the bathroom, which we reluctantly took. While waiting for flight departure, we watched at least 50 passengers who were displaced now getting "premium" seats (rows 7-16) without having to pay the $92 per person they were trying to get out of us for our originally booked seats.

It took another 25 minutes to depart because the ticket agent was still wrangling with assigning seats. When we arrived at our destination, SFO, we then had to wait 45 min to taxi to gate because there weren't any gates available since we arrived late. I will do anything to avoid flying United ever again. I have been totally spoiled by Alaska/Virgin Air.

The last time I flew United, I could not get help needed in lifting my luggage. As a handicapped passenger, I was preboarded with wheelchair assistance. I was also recovering from elbow surgery. I informed the first flight attendant of this, she determined that she didn't want to hurt her back and refused. I asked to see the lead flight attendant, who also refused. She informed me that the wheelchair porter was responsible for baggage assistance, not the flight crew. (In 30 years as a disabled passenger, I had never heard this line.) She claimed that she could lose her job if she accommodated my needs. I showed the printed documentation to her as I read it aloud. She also claimed her union wouldn't allow the flight crew to lift bags. She then said she was "looking for a man". She was looking for a passenger to perform the airline's responsibility.

She summoned the very angry captain, who tried to shame me for my inability, using a very loud voice. He claimed the female flight attendants were "too little" to lift bags, and reiterated their union policy. He did stow my roller bag in the upper bin for me. But as his loud voice traveled through the cabin, he demanded to know if we were "good". I could only reply in the singular.

Upon landing, I requested a meeting with a United representative in order to file an incident report. A man appeared, did not identify himself, nor did he take any notes. He told me it was not the airline's or the flight crew's job to assist me, saying that flight attendants were "Only able to turn the bags". He rapidly disappeared. No report was filed, and I never received the airline's response in the legally required 30 days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Back in 2010, I found out that my mother was dying and I had less than 24 hours to get to NY to see her. That entire week, I was setting up funeral arrangements, and very distraught about my mother's condition. On my return flight back to AZ, I politely asked if I could be seated next to my fiancé on the return trip. 12 other couples were allowed to, but I guess there weren't any more seat combinations possible. This made for a terrible ride back to AZ as I was distraught with anguish about my mother. What irked me the most, was that the agent publicly mocked me and called me a baby because I didn't get to sit next to my fiance. I felt humiliated! United Airlines treated me with disrespect after traumatic experience. Horrible Customer Service, Horrible experience!

My flight was scheduled from Chicago O'hare to Newark and then to St. Maarten. The first flight was at 5 AM, I left so that I got there at 3 AM (when the airport opened), they started checking bags at 3:15 AM. After we checked our four bags we headed towards security where the security officer told us United had just changed their policy (we were traveling with our dog) and I needed to go Additional Services. My husband and I headed to Additional Services where we were about fifth in line. I figured it would be quick. Fifteen minutes later the line had not moved. After half an hour I went up and asked if anybody could assist as we were worried we would miss our flight. The man told me he could not help me.

After 45 minutes I went up to talk to another United representative and he literally acted as though he could not hear me. One man put a group of us in a line, seeming like he would help us (my husband stayed in the original line just in case) and he never came back to help anyone so I rejoined my husband. At about 4:40 AM we finished with additional services and ran to security. Many kind people let us go in front of them so we wouldn't miss our flight. I got through security at 4:45 AM (my husband was being held for a second, I went ahead to let the flight know he was coming) and when I got to the gate they told me they would let me on but wouldn't let my husband on. So we missed our flight, which wasn't supposed to leave until 5 Am.

I asked the man what we should do if we missed our flight, he said to head to the dinosaur. I went to get my husband and we went to the dinosaur but nobody was at the desk. I went back to the gate and at this point am in tears and he says he cannot help me. I spoke to another woman at the counter and she said there wasn't another flight until Friday. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Meanwhile she found a flight through Delta that left in an hour, and would arrive to St. Maarten only an hour after that flight. When the supervisor came out he said that they couldn't pay for the cost of that since it would be full priced. I asked him why they wouldn't since it was their fault they missed my flight. He ended up putting us on Delta flight, but without any kindness.

Not a single person from United said they were sorry or even acted apologetic. If it wasn't for me asking for the supervisor and then fighting for myself we wouldn't have gotten on the Delta flight. United was extremely unhelpful and it was the worst flight experience of my life. I emailed United my complaints and they gave me $100 and an "apology" which was the same kind of apology they offered after the man was dragged off their flight - it wasn't one. They refused to take responsibility for our missed flight. I refuse to fly United again, and I urge anyone else to do the same. If you're going to fly, spend the extra $20 and fly Delta or Spirit or anybody else, I have had much better experiences on other airlines.

United Airlines got me there but without clean clothes. We traveled Friday evening and returned Sunday mid-day. We arrived at our destination but it was Saturday late-day before our bags arrived. We were required to wait at baggage carousel 45 minutes before the agent would even begin our report... and this was at 11:00 pm. There were no apologies. The flight offered no snack service. When I requested the balance of my drink can I was plainly told, "No!" My husband is a Taiwanese surgeon. After the incident at O'Hare and this luggage incident, we will NEVER fly United again!!!

After seeing that SHOCKING video of an INNOCENT traveller being RANDOMLY dragged and violently assaulted by Chicago aviation police at the REQUEST of United Airlines I hope the WORLD united itself in BOYCOTTING this disgusting airline for the most brutal human rights breach I have ever seen on a passenger in my life. What if that traveller had been heavily pregnant, medically frail, mentally challenged, or anything else and ended up dying from such an assault? As it is, this poor man was no youngster and he was audibly screaming in distress while being violently dragged like an animal going to slaughter when all he did was RIGHTFULLY refuse to be bumped off a plane. This is so revolting. I will NEVER fly united and I really hope no one else does in future either.

I would be happy to sign and petition to ensure that whoever at the airline ordered this ends up being criminally charged for this affair as well the officer who did this, and that lawyers queue up to offer this man help to sue the ** off these people for damaged, distress, mental and physical injury and disruption to his life. He will probably suffer PTSD from this assault. I know that I would be having nightmares after something like that. What does this say about American culture now.

I am writing from the UK. This represents my view of having seen what happened to the poor victim of this. Those cops were happily abusing their power and treating him like a terrorist. They should not have even become involved in a business matter which affected innocent passengers like this. This was not a police matter and no crimes were committed by travellers. Please world - take notice, set up and sign petitions to have all involved sacked and criminally charged and to set up something to help this poor guy recover from his ordeal. I'd like to see the officers incarcerated for this assault and the United Airlines' person who ordered this. What a dreadful thing to see.

I had paid for a ticket to go back home. When I arrived at the check in desk, the desk was closed and no one was there to check me in and I missed my flight. When I contacted United Airlines with the complaint they wouldnt even give me my money $600 back when it was their fault. This Airline needs to be shut down. Their service sucks.

We had purchased tickets well ahead of flight to London on United. We were at the check-in well ahead of time. We received our boarding passes with no problem and since I had already selected seats online for my wife and our 2 year old daughter next to me I was relaxed until we arrived at the gate. Once I looked at my boarding pass at the gate I realized they had put our 2 YR old on a separate seat. When I brought it up to the gate agent she said it's too late to make any changes. I was beside myself and could not believe they would make such a mistake and then claim it's too late to correct it.

When I raised my voice to object they called the US Marshall who was discreet but still hovered around. Finally another agent realized that this problem will not go away and took us on board and started asking passengers if they could switch. The whole thing was simply unbelievable. UA is possibly the worst but I have just read nightmare stories about Iberia here as well. UA did offer us $100 each for separate flights after I complained but even $1000 would not address the damage they did to my nerves that day.

We just back to Los Angeles from San Francisco. We had already two international connection flights that had delays. We had to run to this third connection flight, afraid to be late. When we arrived, we find out that the flight UA 0750 was delayed as well by 5 hours. Nobody even let us know. My phone app showed it before it was even uploaded on the main screen board of domestic flights.

So we set and waited. We already have been extremely tired from international flights and here only one hour flight from LA to SF was delayed so many hours. Our flight supposed to board on 7:50 pm and then we saw another update on the phone that this flight suppose be delay by another one hour and a half. Nobody even tried to explain what's going on until we went to United Airlines desk customers support. All they claimed that the weather bad where the this plane suppose to take off and arrive to SF.

Some other passengers was asking for their delays as well. The representative offered them the voucher for hotel but only on the passengers expenses. We couldn't believe by hearing it. They didn't even tried to compensate their own customers. We waited longer and instead of boarding at 9:09 pm as it says on the screen, we only boarded on 9:45 pm. By the time that we take off on the air it was already 10:10 pm. We waited at the Airport since 3 pm to 9:45 pm.

Then when we have been in the air, one of the flight attendant apologized for inconvenience of frame waiting and said that we can visit United Airlines website by specifying our flight number, day and time and the company will compensate us. I did it today... but the website didn't showed any offers for this issue. What compensation they were promised us without taking no responsibilities such is? The most terrible worst flight experience we had but the United refuse to admit it and lying to her passengers.

I traveled 3/30/17 for my honeymoon. We arrived at the airport in time to check in at LAX but were quickly greeted with line after line, being directed to one... Then upon getting to the front directed to another and then again to a 3rd line. In the 3rd line, while waiting, other passengers walking by would just go straight to the attendant and would be helped. Meanwhile, 5 deep in the line... no assistance for me or anyone else. United personnel allowed this to go on until I yelled that this was BS and they "helped" me. The person was clearly befuddled and said "you're 6 minutes too late". She mumbled several times and I finally asked what she was doing. She said, "I canceled your ticket because you're too late." I unloaded on her because of their lines being the problem. She booked us on the next flight.

We were asked to pay for my spouse's bag, even though the Chase United Visa card says "You and companion get 1st bag free." She argued and we took the bag with us. We arrived at the gate waiting another hour for this flight. Upon boarding in Group 2, our tickets were rejected. We were pulled out of the line and sent to another agent. The agent saw that our tickets... which we just got downstairs were canceled. He was put on hold and we waited while every other passenger boarded. When we got on, there was no overhead capacity left and we were screwed. Two hours later than our expected time, missed our dinner reservations.

The night before our return home, I tried to check in and could not. The next morning, the same thing. I figured I better call. Upon calling I learned that the same United employee who re-ticketed (& canceled) our ticket also canceled our return flight without saying a word. The flight was now sold out and we had to book another flight. That flight was an hour later and we got the same argument about the checked bag fee on the phone AND at the airport. We boarded the flight on time, but did not take off for another 90 minutes. Yes, we stayed on board, sweating because there was no fresh air for 90 minutes, so that 8 passengers who were on standby could board. I have no issue with standby and boarding, but it took them an hour to do that. An HOUR. We landed over an hour later than expected.

Upon arriving at LAX, the escalator funnels you down to baggage claim but with 3 stations. Station 4 was packed with people (so much that it was difficult to exit the escalator) and had a computer screen showing 2 full pages of flights whose luggage would arrive at that station. Station 3 was empty and had no flights listed. Station 2 had 2 flights listed and was moving nicely.

After 20 minutes of waiting at Station 4, they finally announced that they switched us over to Station 3. Upon walking the 15 feet, we all quickly noticed that our bags were already circulating around and people literally grabbing bags right and left and exiting. All done, so quickly... just because they didn't have the stations set up correctly. United Airlines are cowards who won't provide phone numbers for complaints and outsource their customer care to other countries to can't assist. Their email responses to the web complaints are slow and again don't provide much chance for rebuttal.

March 28, 2017, on the United Airlines website, I found the tickets I wanted. I went through the whole process to buy them. There was a glitch on the website and the tickets did not go through but they could have. I was not sure. I had to tried again but no luck. I contacted United Airlines customer service. UA customer service told me I would be reimbursed for the ticket I got online if by chance it did go through. I asked to have the tickets purchased online. The customer service person was helpful and friendly. She tried 3 times to get my tickets but the system she was working with glitched out.

I purchased the tickets thinking they were the ones I had requested. She said was going to send a confirmation to my husband's email address. She was very nice and very apologetic for the problems I had with the UA website as well as all the time it took her with the computer glitches she was having at her end. My husband never received an email ticket confirmation. On April 3, my husband received his ticket confirmation. The departure and arrival times for the flight to BWI were incorrect. I called customer service and was told that to change the flight would cost me $360. I said it was their error. I was told that they could reduce the charge by $200, but I still needed to pay the $160. I don't believe that I should have paid anything, it was their mistake.

My husband asked to speak with someone with authority. UA customer service took my husband's phone number and the customer service superior would call my husband back but he did not. I learned 4 things from this experience. 1. Always get printed verification when ticketing over the phone. 2. Don't purchase tickets directly from United Airlines website or through the phone. 3. United Airlines does not get back with the customer. 4. United Airlines does not care about making right their mistakes.

I am on a flight from Richmond to Chicago. We are all on boarded. The door closes. We are ready to go. The pilot decides to do some paperwork using a computer and decides to reopen the door and get down. They announce that pilot will find a computer do his paperwork and come back. Now 45 minutes later we are still waiting. No announcement of delays. United has delayed the flight. Still not sure we will take off in time. Very frustrating and unprofessional airlines. Not sure I understand why a pilot have to get down to do paperwork.

I am a frequent flyer, primarily on Delta Air Lines. In the last 12 months I have been flying United for trips from EWR to TYS. Only 1 out of 6 flights have departed as scheduled. Repeated delays range from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours. Very little communication and never any sign of empathy for their customers, no apologies. In comparison to Delta their employees do not appear happy or act as if they enjoy their jobs.

I am using United from DC to NYC for business meetings, this flight is supposed to leave at 8:20 this morning, but 'till now (11:20), it still has not departure. Due to United's fault, not weather, I have to cancel all my meetings today, and we are offered no explanation, nor compensation. I am very disappointed with United's service, even Amtrak is much more reliable for such a trip.

Horrible customer service. Transferred back and forth between departments. Promised a refund, which was verified with an email from United. When the refund never arrived, recontacted United. Again, transferred back and forth between departments. They do not have the reservation, the email THEY sent, the refund information and claim never to have offered a refund. Would only give a partial refund in the form of a voucher. Asked for a supervisor who was rude, obnoxious and righteous. Did not listen to anything that was said to her. Refused to give her name. Refused any documentation of said refund. And when I continued she transferred me to the automated menu.

United should be out of business. I will be using my "voucher" and NEVER flying with them again. Buyer beware. Unless you are boarding the plane tomorrow, United is a gamble. And my reason for canceling my flight, which is fully documented and I fully agreed to provide documentation through fire and police reports, my house burned down. I've traveled around the world and spend every vacation traveling. United has lost all of my business. Would have been $7000.00 for two months last year. Thank you United. The company without a brain or a heart.

Made reservation using Farelock for 3 days. Received confirmation email and a reminder email, both of which said the ticket will be automatically purchased when the 3-day window is passed. However, a month passed and 4 hours before my departure, I found my reservation was not ticketed yet!!! I had to call their customer service to ticket this reservation on my way to the airport. Their customer service said I had to contact them after Farelock closed to get the purchase completed. Interesting! My email cleared said "Your FareLockSM reservation is being held until 10:00 a.m. Saturday, February 25, 2017. Your ticket will be automatically purchased at that time using the credit card provided. If you would like to cancel this held itinerary, view your reservation and select the option to cancel."

I had to made a new reservation at a much higher price. Weird was that the new reservation had the same booking number as the one I booked using Farelock, and even the seats were the same. Obviously, my previous reservation was in their system, but they just didn't ticket it. Fine, every company makes mistake, and every system may have bugs. However, the most annoying thing is that their customer service refuse to confess it was their mistake/fault. Contacted them after my flight. Their agent said they couldn't find my Farelock reservation, only the new one I made before departure. Until a 'supervisor' came up, and found the previous reservation. When I asked why the Farelock reservation wasn't automatically ticketed. She said she doesn't know, and I have to check with their network department. She refused my compensation request. I spent hours and hours to contact them…

Their customer service is more horrible than I described here. They just weren't willing to take the responsibility of their mistake and pushing me to other department. One of their customer agent even yelled to me "I'm still checking!!" when I asked her what was going on after 20-second silence. I've traveled in North American, Europe, Asian and Australia many times. I guarantee this is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. Their aircraft is also in a low built quality. I flew from Honolulu to Denver, 7 hours. No entertainment in flight. No WIFI, although 'WIFI is available' is everywhere in the cabin. Seat is thinner, harder. I feel like they started to go for a low-cost airline style. But the price isn't the case.

I bought a ticket for $214.00. I canceled it a few weeks later. I was going to use my credits (S214.00) to buy another ticket to go somewhere else. The new ticket cost $220.00 so I thought, deducting my credits, my ticket would cost $6.00. WRONG. There was a cancellation fee of $200.00, so even factoring in my credit of $214.00, the new ticket STILL cost $206.00. So I saved $6.00, instead of $214.00. Thanks United, for making the life of this vision impaired senior citizen just a little more expensive.

When flying from Denver to Newark, United shipped out bags on an earlier flight and stored them in the luggage room at Newark. However they decided not to inform us, so we watched the baggage carousel spin for 1.5 hours until we finally gave up hope and asked. United wasted hundreds of hours on our flight alone, and dozens of people lost nearly 2 hours of their lives. Furthermore, nobody from United could find out what happened to EVERYONE'S skis. They told everyone they arrived and for us to wait. Then they told us the skis were still at Denver. Then they told us, "no wait they are here." Please do your best to visualized a mob of people being run in circles from the United desk to the ski pickup over and over again. All in all, flight landed at 11pm, nobody left the airport before 1am. I am never flying United again.

Planning to visit my brother and his wife at Cameron, Texas (an hour and a half drive from Austin). I had confirmed reservations on United flights 4338 (CMH to IAH) and 771 (IAH to AUS) from Columbus, Ohio, to Austin, Texas, on 10 March 2017. After boarding, we had to wait 30 minutes on the tarmac while they checked to see if we had enough fuel to fly from Columbus to Houston! We were thus late getting into Houston, arriving at 5:15, rather than the scheduled 4:45 p.m. I and several others literally ran and took the tram to the connecting gate, arriving ca. 5:35 for a flight that was to depart at 5:45 p.m. When we arrived, we were told we could not board the flight to Austin: United had already given the seats WE HAD PAID FOR to standby passengers! Moreover the agent, a certain Val **, if I heard the name correctly, was UNBELIEVABLY rude.

We were told we would have to fly standby on the next flight, UA 6252, leaving at 7:41 p.m. At the customer service desk, another customer and I were told we'd be numbers 1 and 2 on the standby list. When I got to the gate, though, I had been moved down to number 11! Since there were only 3 seats available, I had to wait until the final flight that night, UA 1234, which left at 9:45. Thanks to the help of an agent at the customer-service desk, I was able to board that flight, which arrived in Austin at 10:42 p.m. My brother and his wife had been waiting in Austin since 6:00 p.m. By the time we got on the road, it was past 11:00 p.m. We arrived in Cameron at 12:30 a.m.

I find it ABSOLUTELY UNCONSCIONABLE that customers who have reserved seats on a specific flight, whose connecting flight lands well before the second flight leaves, should be bumped off that second flight. I have never had this experience before. When I had a similar delay on a connecting flight from Nuremberg to Munich recently, a Lufthansa agent met our flight and escorted me and another passenger to the gate of the next flight, which had been held for us. Lufthansa did it right; United did it wrong. Shame on United.

Flight 1470 Newark to SDQ on the 13/2/17 UA. Saying that I was dissatisfied is an understatement. We were held in the plane from 8-9 am when it was supposed to leave at 8:15. No food or water or being able to do anything until at 12:34, more than 4 hours delay. I spoke to two of the UE flight attendants and one of them said that they weren't obligated to provide food or water. The other gentleman gave me some juice after I said I wasn't understanding her response. I had explained that I was getting nauseous due to the high heating and dehydrated due to the fact that we were not provided any liquids. When the gentleman was pouring the juice she requested my seat and said she had to confirm with the supervisor in this respect. After about 10-15 mins they gave us a cookie and a glass of water about 10 mins after that.

The reason provided for the delay was that they were waiting for the paramedics (who came about 15 mins or so before we departed.) I even recall someone complaining and saying that he works for the US gov or something to that effect and that he has never seen, etc. Extremely odd since to my understanding they should have escorted said person to the airport to get assistance and we would be able to take off. Due to this, a "jam" was formed (announced at 2:15pm) and therefore creating further delays to leave (after that we were told we were number 16 to depart). It wasn't until 20 mins before we departed that they asked that anyone who was sick come forward and they'd be placed on a later flight. This, I honestly don't understand at all. I was never offered a Welfare Package.

When we got to SDQ they said not to get up or move anything because the aircraft exceeded the maximum allowed weight and the plane could tilt. Said both in Spanish and English. I have no words... I contacted United Airlines and they said the delay was due to bad weather (which is untrue) and they keep denying everything and denying my right to compensation. They offered a US$200 voucher then a US$400 voucher. I explained I do not intend to fly with them again and I know I am entitled to more as per the Montreal Agreement. I would appreciate anyone that could represent me to contact me asap.

The absurdity of it all is that they must have records of every event and I even sent them a print screen of the delays that I found online. And the airport should have the time when the paramedics went and records of said event. I am not aware if aircrafts have cameras inside but I feel that everything can be verified. And I bet if they contacted the passengers on that plane they would all say what happened/matching my experience... I had a meeting and work related commitments that I missed due to this negligence directly caused by UA.

Details of the flight: Departure EWR: 8:13 am (Reality: (i) boarding at 9:45 am approx and they say the flight was on time yet I have the ticket that says otherwise; (ii) we departed at 3:30 pm approx. Arrival SDQ: 1:48 pm (Reality: we got to SDQ at 6:58pm). Meaning: a total of 5h+ delay. After two hours the airline must provide food and drink (did not happen) and access to phone calls and emails (they insisted over and over to keep the mobile and devices on airplane mode); after 3 hours we were entitled to compensation. My experience was, to say the least, horrendous and to the best of my knowledge my details above. I would appreciate the help.

I was 6lbs over today as I was coming from Cancun to LA... they suggested that I move my things to do the carry on which I did with no problem... yet while I was doing this United Airlines "staff" were laughing and sarcastically saying it was impossible. I felt humiliated. On the other hand... they don't offer food on international flights, blankets or any other type of comfort. They charge $120 for flat 10lbs even if you are just by 5 lb... $26 per luggage even on international flights. 2 bags - $75. Not a good deal regardless. Don't let them fool you. And btw the staff does NOTHING TO HELP YOU AT ALL!!!

Booked a flight, it had change of airports. I called within 24 hours to know if they covered it, and how it was supposed to be done. They promised the taxi reimbursement if I kept all receipts. I could, at that moment, could have picked any of other HUNDREDS of options, longer flights, more stops, whatever. Flew, kept all receipts, and when I went to ask my money back, there is no place to do it, got a tracking number from the phones.

This call disappeared from the log, had to fill forms on the customer care are of the site, and here I am, 3 months later, knowing that the only way to do it would be suing them, which would cost me more money because the taxis are only about 350 dollars. And... the trip was horrible. ME AND MY FAMILY WILL NEVER USE UNITED AIRLINES AGAIN!

Just arrived in Jacksonville after a very trying day of flying. I went through an awful experience with the United Airlines gate agent in Newark who I believe singled me out because of my race. This is NOT my America! Waiting to hear from United Airlines Corporate. Stand by for more details and let's all be prepared to take action! He tried to get me thrown off the plane for speaking with a fellow passenger who was "Global Services". I interrupted our conversation "Speak to me. You can't speak to him." "He is Global Services and one of our most valued customers..." What am I, chicken liver???

I had a 6:30 a.m. flight from Vancouver to Houston. I booked business class, first row. I paid full fare - this was not an upgrade. When the flight attendant brought breakfast, I asked for a glass of milk. Flight attendant said there was no milk in the galley and he would check the back galley. The attendant never checked the back galley and my milk never arrived.

Six month ago, I paid full fare business class ($7500) for a flight from Houston to Frankfurt Germany. I chose seats 2D&E (middle section) both seats have access to the aisle. Unknown to me, without my knowledge or permission, and because of a "computer glitch" our seats were reassigned to the back row next to the bathroom with only one seat having aisle access. I called the agent, spoke with a supervisor, who said the seats could not be "reassigned" and that I should contact "customer care" to lodge a complaint. Customer care is non-existent with United. After many calls and e-mails, the only answer I ever received was that my seats could not be reassigned. I absolutely HATE United Airlines! They are the worst in the industry and have lost me as a customer. I will pay full fare with another airline to avoid flying United.

Since I departed from my small regional airport on a 50 passenger United Express plane, and know that TSA searches checked in bags, I didn't lock mine. (TSA leaves a card in your luggage that's it been searched, and locks will be cut). When I arrived at my destination of San Francisco, I discovered that the small plastic bag containing some costume jewelry and one turquoise/turquoise ring, was missing from my checked bag. I doubt TSA took it since the card left in my bag was initialed, so it had to be a United baggage handler. I know United will never compensate me for the theft, and I will not be checking luggage the next time.

I have no choice in carriers going south from the south Oregon Coast to California, as United Express is the only one, unless I want to pay lots more to fly to Portland and south from there. Don't trust your checked bags to United baggage handlers! In addition, the economy seats are horribly cramped, and if you put a small bag order the seat in front of you, your knees will be bent very uncomfortably, and elbow room is nonexistent. Being a retiree, Economy is all I can afford, but I didn't think I'd be a victim of theft.

This is the experience I and my friend had travelling with United on 9th Dec 2016. The flight was from Chicago to Newark and connecting to Mumbai from there. The layover was close to 2 hours. When we reached the airport, after checking in the luggage, while we waited near the gate, it was announced the flight is delayed by 40 minutes. And then after a while further delayed by 60 more minutes. At this announcement, we contacted customer service at Chicago airport to change our itinerary, with our urgency to reach Mumbai the very next day and we were sure of missing the connecting flight with this kind of delay.

The customer service at the airport took quite a while to understand the situation and eventually after a lot of talking amongst themselves suggested us to take the delayed flight to Newark and promised that we will be assisted with another connecting flight if at all if we miss that one. And with this they rejected our request to change the itinerary to Chicago to Frankfurt and then to Mumbai. Still trusting United with this suggestion and no other options helped with, we had only to board the same delayed flight at the last minute.

After getting in the flight, we had requested the flight attendants to let us out of the flight first as we had the fight very next minute. Since this was no luck, as we landed the same time the connecting flight was supposed to take off, as predicted we missed the flight. Had nothing else to do, we went to the customer service at the airport. So with all hopes we explained them our real issue and the urgency of taking the next available flight to India, even if with any alliance. Just to let you know here, it was my friend's wedding (flying with me) in two days. The customer service lady, with no response to our request and helping us with no options, directly, without asking us, printed us boarding passes for the same flight the very next day. 24 hours delay!!!

Again, we thought it was some misunderstanding. We explained her the urgency and told her to help us with the situation. But to add to our misery, she decided not to respond to us at all. She just told us this is all she could do and responded no further. And the remaining staff there, listening to the conversation as well, chose not to come up with any help at all as well. We requested like a million times but United Customer Service was extremely rude not responding to any our questions.

Tired of this, we tried calling the customer service which eventually was of no help. Nobody was ready to understand our issue and help us. Even if you check the call records, I am sure you will find two numbers (I & my friend's) calling for the problem's solution. Since we realized that United's any service (call or airport) is not going to help us with an alternative. We had another problem to find ourselves a place to stay. We are international students and had no friends or family in the US to go at that odd hour in the city of Newark.

Again the horror of asking United of any accommodation option if they could provide us with started. And, not of any surprise, it was denied by that lady at the counter, telling us, "We will not provide it as there is some climate issues" and some excuse we did not understand. Here again, the customer service did not seems to care about us as customers at all. She did not bother to ask anything at all other than denying any request we made. She herself didn't know that it was United's aircraft delay and we were entitled to get an accommodation from them. Instead she questioned us with travel plans. She asked us in exact these words "Why do fly today if it is your wedding in two days?". Even if this was none of her business, we still did answer thinking she might help in anyway. This was ever the most rude treatment we had ever experienced. Since, talking to her made no sense anymore, we decided to collect our baggages.

When we went to collect the baggages. We decided to ask if they can keep the baggages as we had no place to stay. There was the only sign of relief that we got after talking to the lady at baggage counter. She told us that we will get an accommodation option, if we would like one. After hours of requests and helplessness, this was the only good news to our ears. We do appreciate the stay arrangement made. Since we are students and could not afford to spend thousands of dollars on a new ticket just like that, we requested United's people for all the help we could. Our aim to write and bring this to your notice is only to understand where did we go wrong with these requests, else choosing United Airlines again becomes quite impossible for us. Looking forward to your reply.

I left my new iPhone on a plan on February 24th close to midnight, flight 1730 from LAX. When I was on the way home from the airport I realized what I had done. I immediately tracked the phone and it showed me it was on the plane or as close to it as the finder would show. The next morning I went to the airport and was directed to the baggage department. I told them what happened and showed them to where the phone was being tracked. They told me they could do nothing to help and told me to go online and fill out the lost item form. They said that my phone was likely taken to a supervisor's office where it would sit until they got around to taking it to the baggage (lost and found) office. I asked what time frame was typical and was told that there is no criteria in place. They then told me that it just wasn't a priority and I would probably get it back eventually. So, I did what they said and heard nothing for a few days.

Then I called and gave my report number and explained what had occurred. I was told that the cleaning crew would have likely found the phone and would taken it to the baggage (lost and found) office. Again I was told that it would happen when they got around to it. There is no process in place and no concern for passengers. A member of the cleaning crew is not required to immediately turn in the phone?? This makes no sense. What is to prevent them from stealing it?? Why can no one attempt to get items back in a timely manner? Why is there such a flipid attitude? I realize it was my mistake. However, I am a repeat customer and should be treated with more respect and concern. This is a $600 phone and I don't think I should have to wait until someone "gets around" to taking it to lost and found. Do they take it home? Where is it?? So frustrating!

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.
  • Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.
  • Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.
  • International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.
  • Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.
  • Best for International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Compare Airlines