3.36/5
Based on 2,074 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

2494 United Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Flight 3857 MHT-IAD Mon Sept 16. I was booked on this flight departing 2:40 arriving 4:25. We were told maintenance had been called to fix an oxygen mask failure so we wait. When it became clear that I would not make my connecting flight I went to the counter. The rep gave me 2 choices, wait for flight & spend night at Dulles or come back tomorrow. I chose to come back tomorrow. The rep called to get my checked bag which I picked up at ticket counter then I took my cab voucher to find cab. I did not receive another cab voucher to return to airport the next day. A very bad day.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My flight was delayed. I went to get back not from terminal rep. The first rep never acknowledged I was standing in front of her. So I asked if she would help me. She mumbled something and walked away. The second rep came up. I told her I had a question about my flight. She appeared to be on the computer searching for information. I felt like it was taking a long time so I looked over the desk. She was texting on her smart phone. She looked up at me and pointed to the first rep and said, “she is over there.” Great customer services. No plans to use this airline again.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

When we booked our trip we paid extra not to have a long wait for our connecting flight in Houston. We were supposed to depart from Mexico at 6am. We arrived at the airport around 3 am to find out our flight was delayed till 10am. There was zero communication from United to let us know our flight was delayed by hours. We waited in Mexico for 7 hours and we missed our connection in Houston and had to wait another 6 hours. This has been a horrible traveling experience and a complete waste of time. The reason our flight was moved is because there was no flight crew. That is completely at fault of United and their lack of communication to their customers.

I filed my initial complaint with United on August 31st 2019 and when I heard back from them they were only willing to give out vouchers. At that point I asked for someone in charge and the employee stopped responding to my emails. I called United to express my terrible experience and they told me to file a refund request, which I did and they denied that and sent me back to the complaints saying "they handle those cases better". I called again after the email refund rejection and during that call they told me that they do not have an actual phone number or anyone for me to speak to and I would have to leave a voice mail.

Today on September 18th 2019 I received an email saying they will give me a travel certificate. Not only do they have terrible communication when you travel with them, but when you try to fill out a complaint for a refund for them completely wasting your time they just keep giving you the runaround from department to department and no one is willing to listen to what you want and how a travel voucher is pointless, when I spent real money on this flight and I expect to receive a REAL refund not some voucher that will go unused. This is a warning for those who are thinking about flying United. Just save yourself the time and go with ANY other airline. Their customer service is terrible and at this point I think they just give customers the runaround till the customer gives up and just accepts their worthless voucher.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Grand Rapids to Ft Lauderdale. Mechanical issues, came back to the gate. No chance of making connecting flight. Business meeting next morning. Snotty, smug, condescending and unprofessional were the employees in Grand Rapids. Unable to help and unsympathetic. DELTA was able to get me out for 200 more than United. Called United for a refund and they told me my ticket was "used" so they couldn't do anything for me. Told them I would call and have my credit card reverse the charge to which they said, "You can try but good luck". HORRIBLE COMPANY, TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

IF YOU CAN AVOID THIS SCAB OF AN AIRLINE I WOULD. Employees are smug and young and need more training or just to be fired and put on the unemployment line. Worst experience in my 25 years of flying. To the woman who told me to "try but good luck" fortunately my USAA card knows customer service. I GOT IT REVERSED YOU SMUG SCAB!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I arrived 4 hours early for my flight from Newark to Syracuse on UA 4892 on Sept. 15, 2019. I waited at the gate, A21, for the flight, which was to leave at 6:05. At 5:30 pm, I asked the gate agent, named Vinola, where the Syracuse flight was. She told me she was "moving on to other things" and couldn't tell me. She told me to wait for the next agent. I checked with a different gate agent, who told me that the flight was leaving from Terminal C, gate 130x. She called ahead for me. I ran, got to the gate at 5:52, and was told that the flight was "already at the terminal" and I would have to wait until 9:45 pm. I'd been checking all afternoon on the flight--no news of a gate change. I received a text message at 5:34 pm, as I was on the shuttle to Terminal C, telling me about the gate change. That came too late, obviously, since I couldn't make it even by leaving terminal A at 5:30 pm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: July 10, 2019

One big thank you to United! My BF and I were late for our flight in Pittsburgh and the agent who checked us in called our gate to let them know we were on our way. He then got us through TSA in 10 minutes when we would have been there for a 1/2 hour, if not longer. He then escorted us all the way to our gate, didn't charge us extra for checking our bags late, and printed our boarding passes! We were amazed! Thank you Pittsburgh!

THEN! When we got to DC we were waiting on our connecting flight to Tampa the agent told us that we didn't have seats together, but to hang tight and he will work some magic. After a few minutes, he called us up to the counter and told us that he did some shuffling around and got us seats together! So you thank you DC! There was a 3 1/2-hour delay when it was supposed to be an hour because there was a leak they were fixing on the plane, but we weren't even worried about that (as long as it was fixed!!). Thanks a bunch, United! You guys rock! :)

Original review: May 19, 2019

United Cares. If there were 10 stars I would give it to United. They got my son on a plane so he was not stuck in the airport overnight. He flew in from Managua on American Airlines and because they had cancelled so many flights he was stuck in DFW. He had a ticket the next morning on United Airlines. He went over to the United Club lounge to wait until they closed and then he was going to go sleep at the gate and wait for his 5:00 am flight.

The agents were not comfortable with him doing this. So Denise and Michelle sprung into action calling the manager Vincent and he put Sebastian on the plane. They went so far as to give another passenger a voucher for the next flight so my son could get home safely. This was the most amazing customer service we have experienced... ever. We are so gracious and will always fly United. I own a pizzeria and can't wait to tell my customers about our experience with this airline. Unprecedented customer care and service by far!!!! We wish we could hug these 3 people. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I live in CA and usually have to fly out of LAX, about 2 hours in light traffic. I got assigned a job in Denver and left out around midnight to the airport to make sure I didn't fall asleep and miss my flight. A headache there as all I could do was sit and wait for ticketing to open at 3:30ish AM. Got to Denver, met with my contact around 1 PM, got back to the Denver airport around 4 PM to wait for my flight out at 10:30 PM (sad face).

When I got to the ticketing counter/bag check area and tried to use my company card on a kiosk, wouldn't work. The most awesome older gentleman, white hair (4 PM 12/6 ticketing/bag check at DEN). I walked away from that desk after he helped me just shocked. For once someone helped out, for no reason but to do it. I wish I got his name, but this one encounter will place United forever in my mind to use. Has never been an airline I've used in the past but will be in the future. Thank you for hiring an excellent representative for your company and generally a good person.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information