2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.7/5 (1766 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 31, 2021

This flight on 2/6/21 from Dulles to Dallas Fort Check-in was helped by a very nice lady who ensure none of our bags were overweight and let us shift stuff between bags to balance the weights between bags. That same lady was helping with the boarding process at our gate. United requires all passengers to wear a mask all the time when we were checking in, at the gate and at all times during the trip, except when we are eating or drinking. Boarding was done by rows from back to front, and gate agents announced it beforehand so everyone knows when their turn is coming and there is no rushing towards the gate. Very organized. We always carry some Clorox wipes with us when we're flying that we use to clean the armrests, seatbelt, tray table, screen etc. since we didn't think the airline would provide the wipes. After we board, we were given sanitizing wipes, so we can use that instead of Clorox. Good job, United!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I flew United Airlines when I had to go to Palo Alto VA hospital, it was a nice ride, the only unpleasant experience I had was in San Francisco airport with one of the customer service employees, she was very rude, unprofessional, and had no respect at all for me, I'm a Disabled Veteran and Combat Medic, she treated me about as low as you can get, just because I asked her a question, but everything else was great, the pilots, flight attendants and my flight, both coming back and going there, other than the one bad apple, it was a pleasant experience.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

United really focused on customer service and was very helpful at the kiosk. They left the airport on time and arrived a little bit early. The restroom on the plane was actually clean and had a good supply of paper towels. There wasn’t enough room in the overhead bins because everyone had carryons and the flight was full but they checked my bag at the door and it was waiting for me and ready to go right when I got off of the plane.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On our return flight home from Denver, CO back in early December, we had the best customer service anyone could ask for. Here's what happened: out of 6 family members, 3 were scheduled on a direct flight home, while the other 3 were scheduled for a much longer, 1 stop flight home. We really wanted to be on the same flight, in order to be together and get home much quicker. Well, the bible says "you have not because you ask not ..."

So upon arrival at Denver airport on Sunday, Dec. 6, I thought I would at least ask a United Airlines attendant at the ticket counter if something could be worked out to get us all together. She was very polite, got her manager, and to our amazement, they switched our flight to all be together with no questions asked! My wife and I were astounded. It was wonderful customer service by United and we were very grateful and thankful! Thank you, United for your excellent customer service. It makes a difference when you help solve a problem for other people!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

We had a flight going from FLL to PHL with a layover in Dulles. We got to FLL and the flight was on-time, after our boarding time passed and still no one was boarding they about 30 min later they finally said there was a delay. We waited an hour and a half to then board. When we got to Dulles, our connecting flight was completely cancelled and they had no more flights to PHL for two days. They offered zero assistance, when we went to get our luggage we were told that it was either in Dulles or already on its way to PHL and we would need to wait till the morning because it was 1am. We wanted to rent a car and just go to PHL but we could not as we had no luggage and everything was closed. We go th

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I want to write a POSITIVE review about our pilot. We had a weather radar malfunction during our flight. Our pilot turned our plane around for our safety, I am so happy he did!! THANK YOU!! I appreciate you sir!! I will fly United again!!

Original review: July 30, 2021

I had a reservation for a flight. I arrived 1 and 1/2 hours early but could not check in because I was already booked. United Airlines offered me a ticket the next day but would not offer hotel or compensation. They claim it is not denial of boarding since I never checked in. I am submitting a complaint to the Department of Transportation. I will not fly United again

Original review: July 24, 2021

Airline Confirmation Number: **. This was the worst flight experience in my life with United Airlines! it was bad alone that our flight got canceled, which I understand due to weather conditions, but the whole resolution and process in getting us to a connected flight was horrible! Once we received our connecting flight after much confusion on the united airlines agency side for over an hour, we asked the agent if we should check in our duty free items that we purchased at the airport in Mexico, he said we shouldn’t since it might get damaged in our luggage. We asked if we will be able to bring the items which included liquor bottles and hot sauce bottles through the gate and he confirmed yes. After we checked in our bags, we had to rush through the airport in Mexico to catch our connecting flight which was very difficult with 4 other family members, and my father is disabled and blind so this was a great stressful hassle for us!

We arrived in LA and had to re-check our luggage. We then had to go through customs again in LA for our connecting flight to NJ. During that process as we went through TSA checkpoint, they took away all our liquor bottles that we bought in Mexico at the duty free shop in the Mexican airport for souvenirs as well as hot sauce bottles that we purchased. This was after United Airlines agency assured us that our items will not be taken away from us! TSA told us it was over the liquid limit allowed. this would have never happened if our direct flight left from Mexico to Newark and did not get canceled. This was over $100 worth of items. Absolutely ridiculous! We already checked in our luggage so we couldn’t go back to check in the souvenirs, we were on a time restraint and would have missed the flight!

Upset, tired, frustrated and feeling defeated, we finally boarded the connecting flight. I already purchased extra legroom seats for the returning flight, but since the flight got canceled and we were re-routed to a connect flight, we all got separated and were not accommodated for the upgraded seats. After waiting on the plane for over 30 minutes, we find out we have to unboard the plane due to a technical error. What an aggravation! At this point, it was close to 11pm, and we had to unboard the aircraft. United Airlines did not even give us food vouchers for all the inconvenience and hassle. We didn’t eat all day and had to spend over $100 bucks for food for a family of 5. Between the flight changes and all, it was a total of 24 hrs. of delays and travel time to finally get home. The whole experience was very aggravating and frustrating!

I tried contacting united airlines but all they give you is a response that someone is looking into the matter and no one has gotten back to me. I would like a manager to look into compensating us for the souvenirs we lost all because united canceled our flight and did not have a better solution for travelers that purchased items at the duty free shops. We should have not lost those items. Also, a refund on the upgraded seats that we never received on the returning flight because it got canceled and we all got separated. Unacceptable! I have all the receipts for proof as well. Also, please look into my refund for 1 baggage on the departing flight. I paid for 5 bags but only checked in 4 bags. I need the refund for 1 bag. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: July 22, 2021

NEVER book a flight with United Airlines unless you are planning to forfeit your money. United Airlines will make your reservation, accept your full payment in advance, cancel your flight and then issue you a voucher that is not redeemable for a refund. Once United Airlines has your money, they consider it their money, regardless of whether they provide the travel services for which you paid or not. They are a fraudulent, unethical business concern. PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS! With their customer hostile business policies and practices, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING IN BUSINESS! Travel with United Airlines at your own risk.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information