1.57/5
Based on 251 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2192 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Booked a flight from Tampa, FL to Berlin in order to attend a family wedding. We were scheduled to arrive in Berlin 36 hours before the wedding. Thanks to United and the gross incompetence of the staff we missed the wedding. They delayed us, finally sent us to London where we got stuck because the connecting flight they booked for us had no record of the booking.

British Airways let us know that they told United staff we could not take that flight and they sent us anyway. We spent the night in London because that wasn't a single flight to Berlin available and we had to scramble to find a flight in the morning. British Airways did their best but we missed the wedding and finally arrived with no luggage. Three weeks after getting home I still don't have my suitcase with my eyeglasses, medication and a million other necessities in it. My son has contacted United several times and so have I with not so much as an apology. I will NEVER get on another United Airlines plane. Maybe you shouldn't either.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My family and I flew in from California to the Denver airport. As the lady at the gate called our group number to board the plane, she started flipping out because I had a personal bag, satchel to be exact, and a backpack. She stated that I had to pay $25 dollars too for my backpack as I was only flying economy. When I flew in from California, the lady at the gate didn't say a word to me about both of my bags. This lady in Denver wanted me to pay for my bags when one of her coworkers said it was stupid for her to charge me and that she was out of her mind. She even stomped her feet like a two year old throwing a tantrum and she clapped her hands trying to get my attention. She did this to me and some other ** family, but not to a ** guy who had a man person, backpack, and a huge Amazon box.

To me this was very disrespectful as she yelled at me and my kids in front of everyone, but just scanned the boarding pass to the ** guy who had three items with him. I felt so humiliated when she stomped her fee to the group and yelled in front of everyone that was trying to board the plane. I will never fly United anymore as THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE RUDE AND RACIST. TO THE DENVER LADY AT THE GATE, I hope you read this and get written up for treating customers like that!!!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This was absolutely the worst trip going and coming home that I have ever been on. We only had 6 days of vacation and missed a day because we got to South Dakota very late. Our plane was sitting outside our gate for an hour before we left and then they tell us that they just found a broken window that needs to be fixed just before we were to board the plane. Told us it would only be about 10-15 minutes. We waited over an hour. We arrived at Chicago just before our connecting flight was to leave. When we exited the plane, an agent was at the desk at the gate and told us to run from that gate, C to gate F. I asked them to please call and have them hold the plane as we were only 5 minutes late.

She told us they knew we were coming and to run. We ran that whole way only to find out the plane had left. We are in our 60's and were quite distressed to have to run that far only to have missed the flight. We missed one day of our vacation. On the way home, once again our flight was delayed and they told us it was due to air traffic control problems. Again, missed our flight. Went to customer service and the agent was quite rude. My girlfriend and I were travelling together and I tried to tell her what we had been going through and she basically told me to shut up. That she was talking to my friend and she would get to me in a minute. At the end of the ordeal of trying to rebook, I asked her for her name, as her name tag was covered by her scarf. She told me no that she didn't need to tell me then asked me why I wanted it.

I told her that I always document everyone I talk to in these situations. I finally got her to tell me and she said it was something like Alli. When I asked her to spell it she said no and that I had an attitude. Really? After what we had been through, you would have thought that we would have at least have gotten an apology. Very rude and horrible customer service. No flight out that night and no hotels with any vacancy except a Motel 6 which was disgusting. Didn't have time to eat so had nothing for almost 24 hours. I got no sleep because of noise and smell of the room. (not your problem I guess). Next day we arrive at the airport only to have our flight delayed again.

Incoming flight was late they told us. We thought that because we had such an early flight that it couldn't possibly be delayed... HA! Of course it was and they switched our gate twice. We wanted some compensation for our inconvenience, but all they gave us was a $10 food voucher going to Rapid City which wouldn't even buy an appetizer. When we had to stay overnight, they gave us a discount voucher for certain hotels and none of them had any vacancy. I would think that after all this that United would give us some kind of decent compensation. Horrible service! Will never fly United again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I tried to reschedule our flight at later time on the same day because our cruise can take many hours to unload us, and now United Airlines is going to charge us a reschedule fee of 688.00 for us two! How is this possible if it's only been a week that I booked and we still have two weeks before our trip.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My international United Airlines experience lasted a total of 54 hours. It was awful. I was flying from my stay in Europe to Cleveland, Ohio. When I arrived to my layover in New York, I had to move to Newark Airport but when I arrived to Newark, my flight was canceled. I was sent to another flight and told that I would have to be on standby. The United assistant (YOGIE **) said she would call everyone in order by name, after all passengers who belonged to this flight would be seated. I was not far from her and noticed that she sent a passenger out of turn before me.

I am aware of this because I heard the conversation between them, as the man begged her to send him and she, in 3-4 minutes, personally wrote him a new ticket, although he came much later than all the previous passengers. When I noticed this and approached her, she was rude and short in her talk to me, despite the fact that by that time I already have been traveling for 30 hours and she was aware of it. She allowed the majority of the people on the plane, even those who registered after me. She did not acknowledge me at all. I was stuck and had to spend the night in Newark.

When I went to customer service, they refused to give me a hotel (they said I do not belong to this type of service). I also noticed that just a minute ago they gave a hotel to another passenger with the same problem, but they couldn’t provide me with the same service. I began to insist, referring to the manager after which only then they gave me a hotel. After a 54 hour journey home, I felt excluded, exhausted and hated. This was the worst experience I had with any airline, I will not use them anymore and do not recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

This took place two days ago at the United desk in Reno, NV. Very poor treatment from all staff present this particular morning. I was due to board a flight from Reno to Los Angeles at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning with my infant. We woke up at 3:30 a.m. to make it to the airport on time. When I got in line to drop my bag off and get a luggage tag it was 5am. There were just two people in front of me. I was not worried about this, as I was already checked into my flight and I’d figured a line of two people would move along speedily. However, it appeared as though many of the customer check in machines were malfunctioning and the understaffed crew was quite frazzled. When I made it to the kiosk and attempted to print a baggage claim tag I was notified that I was too late to check a bag (I was 2 minutes past the cut off time).

After trying to flag someone down, experiencing a lot of avoidance and lack of eye contact, a man with the name tag “Ronnie **” came over and asked what he could do for me. I began to explain my problem, told him that I was just two minutes past the cut off time, as I’d been waiting for assistance, but in the middle of my explaining he left promptly (without so much as excusing himself), to help another guest, exclaiming exasperatedly that “This is why we can’t get anything done around here! Because people can’t figure out how to work a friggin’ machine.” He returned, asked me what seemed to be my problem. I assured him that I was already checked into my flight (boarding passes etc).

I was certain I could make it to my gate on time, as there was no line at the security check point and simply just needed to pass my bag off. He then replied sternly that I was late and would have just have to be rebooked on a later flight. He then motioned towards a sign and barked, “That’s the policy ma'am.” And again, without excusing himself, left to help another guest.

I stood waiting for an hour when a woman walked up with a bag that was overweight by nine pounds. As she unloaded her things, stuffing items into carry on bags, she was certainly going to be late for her flight. I warned her, mentioning that I’d just missed an apparent 45 minute bag check cut off by two minutes. When the young woman finished, she was 5 minutes past cut off time, being helped by Ronnie when another agent phoned her departing counter & notified them that they’d have one late baggage arrival for the flight to Seattle, but that they were sending her over now. This was all that I wanted, and I absolutely knew that it could be done. Instead I was treated very harshly, when my delay was entirely on account of United in the first place.

I was flabbergasted and deeply upset to see that a policy would stand for one person but not for all. Myself and my infant were instead made to wait at the airport, and put on a flight 7 hours later. I was told that we could have been put on an earlier flight, but there was only first class seats left that were available for earlier flights. Perhaps there’s some rule against infants and or ** women being allowed to ride first class on a United Airlines flight.

The flight we ended up on, was also delayed, which threw the pickup we had arranged in our arrival city. We were sat at the very back of the airplane (a seat I would have never chosen while flying with a baby). As every time someone arrived to visit the facilities, I had to lean over into the individual sitting next to me in order to make sure my daughter's legs wouldn’t get crushed. The whole ordeal and airplane ride itself, was excruciatingly uncomfortable.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

USA 8/12/18. Arrived at 4:00am 90 mins before boarding for flight from Oregon to Calif. "CANCELLED" said the departure board. Using the United app, I had signed up for push notifications, text and email notifications when I checked in online 12 hours prior. NO notifications were received by anyone, according to the 100+ people as shocked as I was at the airport. Gate agents there only check baggage. "Call United" they said to everyone. Wait time announcement on the phone "at least 60 minutes." Of course there was a ton of people standing there waiting and waiting on United's customer service line.

Finally after 75 mins I am connected only to find out I was automatically rebooked for the same flight, the next day. No open seats going out the day I was supposed to fly, no compensation except "we can refund your money." Oh and ending with "Thank you for flying United." I said "Can you rebook me on an Alaska flight?" But no... Alaska isn't Star Alliance partner. Their same day tickets were insanely expensive so that wasn't an option. I drove home furious and missed a big event happening the evening I was supposed to arrive in Calif at 10 am. Notifications are worthless. Oh cancelled flight was due to "technical difficulties."

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Terrible experience. I was flying from Vancouver to Denver and I checked in hour and a half before the departure time. Even though the bag check took so long, I was still able to make it to the gate 5-10 minutes before the flight departed but they refused to open the gate for me and have already unloaded my bag. They booked me on another flight to Denver where I will have 15 hr layover before the connecting flight to Madison. The plane hasn't left when I arrived and I wasn't the only person did not board. I did not miss the flight, it was them who left me and probably gave a seat which I paid for away! Terrible behavior and no commitment to customers! Never ever again! Apparently they are used to and aloof with all the bad review and ratings!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The check in was the WORST because of the actions of Chess **. I had a pet with me, so I could not get my boarding pass until I got to the airport. I checked in through the Kiosk and received a ticket that said I needed to see an agent. I stood in line (third in line) for 30 minutes. The attendant was Chess **. The first thing she asked me was if I was checking luggage, I said yes, and she told me I was in the wrong line. I said I needed my boarding pass first. She told me to use the kiosk. I handed her the ticket produced by the kiosk and she asked me what it was. I said the kiosk gave it to me. Then she typed, and typed. I handed her my Military ID, and she said I could not fly with that!! So I produced my Driver's License, she had to go talk to someone to see if it was okay.

She came back and typed and typed some more. She said that it said I have a pet. I said, "Yes." She said, "Where is it?" I showed her the carrier. Then she could not figure out if I had paid the pet fee. I said it should be on my records that I paid. Then Chess ** wanted to know how much I paid, the exact date that I paid, and she wanted to see a receipt. I finally had to use my phone to find the purchase on my charge card. (This check in at Colorado Springs took me about 30 seconds, She took 15 minutes.) She was taking 15 minutes with each person. It was like she wanted us to miss our flight. She even said to people in line to not wait for her or they'd miss their flight.

Chess ** told me she has worked with the airlines for 20 years. (She is so incompetent, it is hard to believe that.) By this time she was angry with me, so she assigned me the seat next to the toilet even though there were plenty of other seats available. My contact with this agent, Chess **, on Saturday, August 11th at 6:15 PM, has made me decide to never fly United again unless I absolutely have to. I even heard people in line saying that this was United, the ** airline. Chess ** was incompetent, extremely rude, and unprofessional. I almost missed my flight because of her.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Our 16 year old daughter went on vacation with her oldest sister and her family. We booked her flight back to MN from ATL since she had spent a week with them in Houston. They are all leaving out to different places. Her flight 6070 departs 1 1/2 late then to top the cake they say mid flight that their satellite connection is down and they are unable to communicate with air traffic??? She is very scared at that point. They finally arrive at Washington Dulles Airport. Mind you her connecting Flight leaves at 5:40 and it's 5:35 pm. They tell her to run to her flight which is at least 9 minutes if she sprinted there. She gets there at 5:52 and it is gone and then our nightmare with United Airlines continues. She calls us to say the flight left. Why did none of their staff call the other crew to hold that plane when you have a unaccompanied minor connecting to your ONLY flight to that destination!!!

I immediately call the customer service number. We tell her to get in line to speak to someone. She stands there and I hold for 1 hour and 16 minutes. She is in line the almost exact amount of time. We are told there are no more flights today. It's 6;00 pm there and she spends the next 13 hours in that airport. Unacceptable when all they had to do is hold a plane for maybe 15 minutes! They did say she would be taken to a room to rest and watch TV. That didn't happen to almost midnight and the lady was very rude to me telling me how busy they were when I asked why she was still sitting there at midnight.

Training is so important of any organization and as a 25 year business owner this company needs a overall from top to bottom and the phone rep that I spoke with was very rude and her tone very inappropriate. She kept stating policy when our child was stranded in a airport for 12 hours because no one could make a simple call? She was upgraded to first class and did get taken to the room at almost midnight after some other adults helped her for us that we did not know from the AKA Sorority. HORRIBLE!!! When 1 call could avoided all of this!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

If you feel like your life is good and there are not enough miserable people in it, then I would encourage you to fly with United Airlines. This morning, 08/12/2018, my husband was flying out of Reno Tahoe International Airport using this airline with terribly unprofessional staff. We got to United at about 3:30 AM to find two "check-in assistants" gossiping very loudly about someone. As my husband was leaving for three month, I had to interrupt their juicy conversation to ask for assistance with getting an escort pass to walk him to the gate. This was a big mistake as one of the "assistants," lets refer to her from now on as gestapo, did not like her conversation to be interrupted and she made sure to show it with a rude tone of voice and an unpleasant to look at facial expression.

When I asked her for a guest pass, she has told me that the Airlines don't provide guests passes, I had to politely disagree with her as I have gotten escort pass several times in the past with other airlines and pointed out to her a policy on escort passes at the Reno Tahoe International Airport. My rebellion made gestapo furious, and at that point she summoned her equally rude supervisor who stated that escort passes are only for minors and began to question if my husband was a minor.

At this point I felt like either I was in a twilight zone or the supervisor was complete unintelligent (I really want to use a word here that rhymes with "period"), as my husband in his late 30s and definitely does not look like a minor. All in all, it is sad to see that so called "professionals" act so boorish and unprofessional and try to mock people in attempt to make their miserable lives slightly better or to feel more powerful. So, If you ever wondered what would it feel like to meet gestapo, I would encourage you to walk by United Airlines in Reno Tahoe International Airport. From now on we will never use United Airlines.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I flew into O'Hare airport for my wife's graduation from military boot camp on a Thursday, her graduation was on Friday and she was supposed to be flying out on that Saturday morning for training. So at this point I've been away from my spouse a little over a couple of months and anytime spent with her is PRECIOUS. Somehow she ended up being put in a holding unit and was not able to leave for training. So I would get to spend that Saturday and Sunday with her. Without question I changed plans and tried to change my flight back home with United, at the bare minimum they stated it would be an extra $200, no exceptions. BTW I didn't even pay 200 for the round trip ticket, because I bought the whole family up. Did some price shopping and found a cheaper one way with Delta Airlines. I was willing to pay some sort of convenience fee for changing but a stiff $200 for a day's change is unacceptable. Won't be flying United ever again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My wife and I landed at EWR via SAS from Copenhagen on Friday Aug 3 at 3:30. We were told that our connection to Tampa at 5:55 UA 1640 was canceled due to storm earlier. Weather at 3:30 PM was clear and fair. Many such flights were also cancelled. UA did not assume any responsibility whatsoever for its stranded customers and treated them so rudely everywhere we turned for help. Here is the chain of events that followed:

Friday 4:30 UA tells us only flight we can give you is on Sunday at 5:55 PM (UA 1640). My wife (pharmacist) had work scheduled full days Saturday and Sunday. I (university professor) had airline tickets to go to an academic (IEEE-PES) conference on Sunday to Portland from Tampa at 5:56 AM (not to mention that I had paid for conference registration and booked hotel room at Portland). We begged with customer service to return by Saturday, and we only got standby boarding passes for Saturday. They knew VERY WELL that no standby passenger will get a seat on Saturday.

After spending a short night at a place on our own we returned to EWR Saturday morning at 4:30 AM and started hopping from gate to gate with hope of getting in. Not only we did not but we were treated like 'nuisance' by the gate agents though we were polite and did not lose temper. Finally we joined the long customer service line (all stations empty expect for two agents!). The agent showed us on the screen two confirmed tickets on UA 1640 at 5:55 PM on Sunday (with HK1 code) and advised us to just wait for Sunday and take the confirmed flight. We went back and found a place to spend the Saturday night.

Sunday early morning as I could not get the boarding passes online for the 'confirmed' evening flight, I called customer service. After a hold of 45 minutes, she told me that there are no seats for us on Sunday evenings flight either. Me and my wife lost our patience at that time. Essentially United CHEATED US and sold our confirmed seats (48 hours after our scheduled flight) to other people and told us they could not do anything for us.

Agent LIED to us that they could not find other carriers from the area. We told them that Delta is showing availability from JFK to Tampa on Sunday in Expedia. We asked them to get those tickets. Agent refused. Finally, we were given confirmed seats for Monday morning at 6:10 UA 1797. So, we agonized for 60+ hours through lies, cheating, and rude behaviors of UA employees. This is our WORST EVER Travel NIGHTMARE. After all these, the UA supervisor had the audacity to demean us further by calling us and offering $200 voucher. We REFUSED.

We were not alone. There were SO MANY HELPLESS customers for whom United showed NO RESPONSIBILITY. As if, once it is blamed on the weather, they are completely absolved of all responsibilities. NONE IN OUR FAMILY (and we fly a lot) will ever fly UNITED. I love flying SAS, but sadly we WILL refrain from flying SAS so we don't have to deal with NASTY United. The traveling public in the U.S. are feeling the brunt of airline consolidation. Something MUST BE DONE. We will not buy any flights from the STAR Alliance just so we don't have to deal with United. I will be writing separately to SAS to let them know what United has done to their customer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Bought a first class ticket, but had to cancel. No refund, was given a voucher for use between now and next year on this date. But have to pay an additional $200.00 to do that! UNITED Airlines is a ripoff! Will not, ever recommend it!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Having worked in customer service, I know it can be difficult at times. But NO one has a license to be rude. Twice today, in person at the SBN airport, and on the telephone to UA 800-864-8331 to agent "Sharon" (surname not identified for me), I was treated with, at best, indifferent "service". My goal was to correct to address a notification received that could only be done "at the gate".

Upon arrival, it took two times of pressing the buzzer for customer service before getting a reply. When one did come, it was in the form of a person who acted like he was doing me a favor to simply be there. It went downhill from there. His contempt shown at me for actually wanting to address an issue (reminder—sent from UA) was palpable. Never mind I had driven to the airport, parked in short-term parking, and wasted my time. When he said I had to call UA, I did so. The agent Sharon knows nothing of how conversations regulate. She would not listen, did not let me get a word in, kept saying she could not help (reminder—after UA told me to call). Then when I finally did get to speak, as I started, she hung up on me. An aside—the passenger for this reservation is Chinese. Has UA never heard of David Dao? How does this “organization” actually stay in business?

Original review: July 28, 2018

This is the worst airline ever. Worst experience of my life. This has been a trip from Hell. It started with weather delays which I totally understand and my 8:00 PM flight from EWR has been delayed to 9:30. Then after that they kept delaying the flight Every 30 minutes until finally at 1:30 AM they come out with the truth, they don’t have a pilot to fly the plane. Then they announced that they are having a special flight the following day at 8:00 AM. After spending 12 hours in an airport and we are ready to fly out to Orlando they come out with another surprise. They have a pilot but need a crew. After the crew arrived we finally took off after another hour and 30 minutes delay.

After we make it Orlando after 19 hours we find out that our bags did not make it and we have to wait another 4 hours for the bags. One more thing to mention on the side. After they cancelled our trip in Newark my wife stood online to get a $10 meal voucher and after waiting on line for an hour for this the representative from United told her to go to the other line from the back because she finished her shift and cannot help her. Thank You United for ruining my vacation. Thank You for being absolutely nothing but a bunch of inconsiderate helpless mismanaged company.

Original review: July 27, 2018

United tries to pinch you at every turn. From an extremely restrictive baggage policy to failing to assign seats, I highly recommend flying with other major airlines for the same price. I’ve flown on several other airlines in the past month with none of these issues. Avoid United if at all possible!

Original review: July 27, 2018

The incident happened when me and my family were traveling to France from SFO. Upon getting off the plane, we realized our passports dropped on the plane. We then proceeded to go back to the plane to try and look for the passports but were told by a United employee to wait by the security area and that they will look for the passports themselves. This lasted only about 10-15 minutes when the same employee came back and told/insisted to us that our passports were not on the plane and then accused us that we were lying/giving her wrong information and that our passports were never on the plane. She then proceeded to cause a scene at the security area and told us to seek help from the French Police.

After leaving the security area to look for French Police and report what had just happened, the same United employee then butted in our conversation with the Police and started talking to them. She was still insisting that our passports were never on the plane and that we were lying to her. She then proceeded to leave the scene telling us that we were not her problem anymore and that we were French Police's problem making the French Police be suspicious of us and us ended up being detained in a Police compound overnight, including our 3 year old daughter. We had to go through hell because of this United employee's actions and accusations. After being deported back to SFO the next day. We learned that United did find the passports on the plane. Great Job United. You just scarred not only me and my wife's lives but also a 3 year old's life because your employees were unprofessional, apathetic and combative to our pleas for help.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Had to book over the phone to use a travel voucher. Booking over the phone requires a $25 fee per ticket. Man over the phone booked me on the wrong flight. I forgot to check the tickets and their 24-hour refund window had expired. When I called to remedy the situation, the customer support woman I first spoke to hounded me like I was her child, "Why didn't you check the tickets? Why are you just calling now?". After escalating to level 2 support, the supervisor made it seem like he was giving me an exception to refund me my ticket, and I could purchase a new one.

After browsing flights, the total for flights was $800 more than my original tickets. My original tickets were basic economy, so I was not even allowed to change a flight. I could only re-book a new one. Pathetic. You pay $25 over the phone booking fee to get screwed. On the phone, I was also being told I booked my flights wrong. No I did not. The phone booking person did. Be very careful with these crooks. We ended up going with a different airline just so we don't have to fly with United. Never again dealing with them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Horrible Airlines with Worst & Rude Customer Service. Our return flight was delayed by 1 hr every 5-10 mins to total of 3.5 hours and different attendants were giving different stories on the delay and you can see that they're flat out lying. We requested to get our seats together and reps at gate told me that the flight was full but after boarding we saw that there were many empty seats and they still didn't help our family sit together. Reps at baggage check-in were horribly rude. Worst seats - not at all comfortable. This is third time I had bad experience with United. Never ever flying with United and I hope they lose all their customers.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I purchased two plane tickets on the United Airlines website in early June for my wife from Bush International airport to Boston Logan airport in Massachusetts. The first ticket had her leaving July 9th with a confirmation number of **. The second ticket had her returning with a confirmation number of **. The return ticket was $342.19.

Having concluded her business early she called United to change her return ticket for an earlier flight and was told by the United agent that the ticket would be $570.20, however because we had booked the flight with an outside (or secondary agent) vendor and not directly with United then there would be an additional charge of $50 and a secondary baggage charge of $25. Of course this was not true, and I called to try to correct the $75 error. I always book directly with hotel and airlines on a fully refundable basis for cases like this. And yes, the return ticket of $342.19 was refunded. I checked my bank app and sure enough, along with the charge of $570.20, there was a $50 and $25 charge to my account, however the recipient for the latter was Lowendticket.com. Never even heard of these people. I tried unsuccessfully to rectify the error for two hours with agents at United.

I finally asked for a supervisor. I received a call from the supervisor and she was as bewildered as I was as to how this had occurred. She confirmed that I had purchased all the tickets directly from the United website. She, too, could not understand why the United agent told my wife that there were $75 in additional fees for the reason stated above. I finally said that I would dispute the charge with the bank when it was posted and deal directly with Lowendticket.com. I had also, received an email from Lowendticket.com addressed to a Ms. ** with her full name, phone number and flight itinerary. I called Ms. ** and left a message. She called back well after I had spoken to the United supervisor. She had received my wife's itinerary.

I wrote a letter on United website explaining everything and received this: "Dear Mr. **: Our records indicate that Loni ** purchased a ticket ** from Boston to Houston in the amount of $570.20. However, I do not see any fee of $25.00 or $50.00 that was charged or collected by United. There was also a refunded ticket ** in the amount of $342.19 from Boston to Houston. I am not familiar with LowEndTicket.com but their toll free phone number is 1 888-569-2843. You may want to contact them regarding any fees that they charged her. Thank you for the opportunity to assist you." Mrs. ** said it was a scam and I should just forget it. They depend on people to not find it worth their time. We will know better next time.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I was flying to St. Louis from Chicago on July 22, 2018 with my wife. We had gone for my son’s ceremonial oath as US army Captain in USS Constitution in Charleston, MA.This happened on our way back home. We were supposed to be in flight at 12.55 pm flight to St. Louis flight #4704 but they delayed flight to 4.25 pm. This was notified to me by text in early 6 am the same day. The reason being waiting for aircraft. How the hell in the word they know about aircraft waiting at 6 am when the real departure time was 12.30 pm. On further inquiry, United official explained that there is a problem in the aircraft.

After 2 hr she said there is weather problem in IN. After checking weather it was found that weather was beautiful in IN. The ground staff knew she was lying. My further inquiry was frowned upon by calling few other staff members and emotionally forcing me out from podium. I had nostalgic feeling of being in the era of civil war. This is their standard response when the flight is not fully occupied. United do not like to be airborne with empty seats to save money. By doing this, United has lost credibility and in 5-6 yrs United will either be grounded or they will declare bankruptcy. There is a rumor that no one is ready to be in alliance with this nasty airline. United is just pulling on until all the nuts and bolts of aircraft are loose and they will be responsible for disastrous massacre in the air. We will surely blame this on Russian.

We are still waiting in Chicago as I write this review at 6 pm. This means I have to cancel my surgeries. They kept postponing the time for departure and gates randomly. We all Americans are getting used to this kind of unethical and blatantly rude behavior of all United ground staff. We need to unite and massively boycott this airline. If you do not want to ruin your plans or emotional health, please do not fly on this airline. KEEP THIS IN YOUR NO FLY LIST.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I was travelling from Denver to Newark on flight 1209 in seat 29F. What follows are a series of incidents that ultimately lead me to being curled up in a seat weeping/crying, wishing to get off the plane as soon as possible. It was the worst flight crew I have ever encountered, and I fly 4 times per week for my job. I will stick to American and Delta from now on. United lost a new and recurring customer, and I will spread the word to friends and colleagues about my miserable journey. I understand now why that poor man was dragged off the plane, and why United has a reputation for horrible customer service aboard its planes.

The saga began with the plane having payload issues, and was offering a $600 credit to people willing to take a later flight, which delayed us about 30 minutes. I volunteered, but by that time, they had enough people. Due to the weight capacity issues, several "rows" of seats were empty. Once we reached cruising altitude, I asked to move my seat, because my television screen was dark and would not turn on. I was able to move to a seat where the screen worked, but the audio did not. Additionally, there was a baby sitting behind me kicking its legs into the back of my seat. I decided that the baby may fall asleep and to just wait it out.

So, I went to use the restroom in between first class and the main cabin. When I got out of the bathroom, the drink/snack cart was starting at the beginning of the main cabin, so I sat down in a window seat in the first row behind first class, to wait out the cart until it got to the back of the plane. After waiting about 30 minutes for the cart to get to the back of the plane, I went up to the female flight attendant and asked for a drink, and the snack choices they had. She very rudely replied, "We already passed your seat. What do you want?" She would not even make eye contact with me. I explained that I was in the bathroom and could not make it back to my seat because the cart was blocking the aisle. I sat patiently in the front of the main cabin allowing them to finish. I then replied, "never mind I don't want anything." I did not want to deal with her attitude.

I sat there in my seat upset and parched, with the back of my seat being kicked, while everyone was drinking their drinks, enjoying their snacks, and watching their televisions. After about 15 minutes, I went to the back of the plane, and asked the male flight attendant for a drink, explaining that I missed the cart because I was in the bathroom and could not make it back because the cart was in the aisle. I asked him if there was something else I should have done; and is there some sort of cart following etiquette that I was unaware of, if you are stuck behind it and can't make it back to your seat? Because the female flight attendant was very rude about it. He replied "you must just be patient!" Well, that is exactly what I was being while waiting for the cart. He shoved the drink at me, and I went to sit back down.

Now the baby is still kicking the back of my seat more than before. Well, I do not want to ask the flight attendants if I could move, for fear of them thinking I am complaining, and having to be the brunt of their rudeness again. I am in a fragile state, exhausted from a long work week, and just want to relax. I asked the baby's mom behind me, if she could move the baby to the middle seat, since the middle seat in my row was vacant. Then the baby could kick that seat all it wanted. The mother said "no I don't think so." So, I decided to move to a seat I knew was available, which was seat I sat in while I "patiently" waited for the cart to get to the back of the plane. This was the empty window seat in the first row in the main cabin behind first class.

After about an hour of sitting there, the male flight attendant comes up to me and literally starts SHOUTING, that I was not supposed to take it upon myself to move. These seats cost more money. I told him (in a very apologetic voice), "I am sorry, I do not want to fight. Please tell me where to go sit." At this point I had no fight in me, feeling very sad, tired and drained. I swear the whole plane had to have heard him yelling at me. He then continues, with how I am trying to manipulate him and make him feel guilty. Huh? I was seriously starting to wonder what planet I was on. He then yells, "just stay there!" So, I closed my laptop, and stopped watching a show I unsuccessfully was trying to stream from Hulu (horrible United WiFi) that I paid $12 for; and very quietly shook, and cried in the window seat corner.

I have no idea why I was abused by this particular flight crew. I tried my best in every situation to do the right thing. After a long work week in Denver, all I wanted to do was zone out on the plane and get home. I am still upset about this plane situation, as I write this the day after these events. This was the worst flight crew I have ever encountered, and I was very unfairly mistreated. I should be credited for my plane ticket and at least the WiFi purchase.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I flew my family of 4 round trip from San Antonio TX to Israel for a trip of a lifetime to the Holy Land. Upon our return flight, we were delayed because United Airlines lost one of our checked bags and also one of our carry-on bags that a UA agent mistakenly put on a transport belt with the checked bags. We ended up missing our flight by seconds and the UA agent shut the door to the gate in my 16-year-old sons face while trying to board. There was 5 of our 38-person group that were not allowed to board and no reason was given. The aircraft did not leave the terminal for another 20 minutes.

We pled with 5 different UA agents and none would even acknowledge my plea for help. I have NEVER been so humiliated and treated so badly. The 5 people had to leave on 3 different aircraft because UA refused, for no given reason, to let any of us board. It took two days to get our first missing bag, and 3 days to receive the second missing bag. Both bags are damaged and someone had gone through our belongings, damaging protected documents from our trip. These were priceless documents to our family and were unnecessarily removed from their protective cover and crushed. I also had a 1" thick hand carved olive wood cross also packed in 5" of padding that was removed and broken.

My laptop computer was removed from its compartment in my luggage, papers removed from it and not put back where it would be protected from damage. Also, during the flight from TLV to EWR my son, who has a speech impediment, was asked what he wanted to drink, He stutters, and was trying to respond to the question when the flight attendant told him "It aint rocket science man". Completely unprofessional, rude, and very hurtful. My luggage had 4 pieces of identification clearly legible from the outside. It had my name, address, phone number, email, airline itinerary, and travel group. I will have to replace my large suitcase as UA broke one of the zippers in the process.

Original review: July 19, 2018

We boarded (Flight UA 2074) at 9:20, there was no flight crew. No Pilot or co-pilot. We were delayed 2 hours sitting on the plane. We should have left at 9:55 and arrive at 10:48. We did not leave until 11:31 arrived at 12:16. Very poor customers service. No regard for customers time. Instead of us boarding why did they not just keep us seated in the airport and let us know of the delay at that time. Very dissatisfied with United Airline. Will do all I can to never fly this airline again. A refund of the flight cost would be appreciated.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Unfortunately I will have to fly United Airlines in August but this will be the last time. I spent six hours trying to rebook a flight. I’d a cancelled trip due to a broken leg. They got it wrong three times. I will never fly them again!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I've been a fairly frequent flier for over 40 years. Never missed a flight before. UAL said my flight was delayed due to extreme weather conditions. I was looking at the weather radar and there was no extreme weather conditions anywhere in the country. So they made me miss my connection in Chicago to Phoenix. To make matters worse I had to stay in the airport for 12 hours because I was not eligible for a free hotel. Pathetic. I'm flying Delta next time. Never been later than few minutes.

Original review: July 16, 2018

When we got to our gate at the Salt Lake airport at 4pm there were travelers that had been waiting there since 9am due to aircraft maintenance, (a hydraulic seal). It didn't delay our flight but put a bad taste in our mouth right from the beginning. The customer service on ground and in air were just OK. Probably because they know their company sucks **.

After we boarded all the TV screens were flashing DirecTV propaganda. Saying to swipe your card now and then later saying it was $5.99 for flights under 2.5 hours and $7.99 for flights over 2.5 hours. But they offered a *very generous* discount of $2 each if you swipe the same card on 3 or more screens. They advertise that they have free WiFi though! So we connected and downloaded their app with no problem. But after selecting a movie and pressing watch, it makes you enable airplane mode in case of a connection interruption. But after doing so and pressing watch again, it says it can't connect...the same thing happened on our return flight. Which I'm sure forces or tricks people into paying for the DirecTV, which was VERY glitchy and the sound quality was TERRIBLE. So I'm glad we didn't end up paying for that.

We landed 10 minutes late and our connecting flight was on the other side of O'Hare and we had 15-20 minutes to get there. We got to the gate with 5 minutes to spare after RUNNING the whole way. On our return flight, there were TONS of people in the gate room waiting because of another aircraft maintenance delay. Which caused us to have to move gates which wasn't a huge deal but still annoying. Our flight was also delayed about 30 minutes.

When we boarded the cabin it was very hot and stuffy and barely went away by the end of the flight. We were miserable the whole time. Needless to say their airplanes are not properly maintained and are way out of date, (they still had an ashtray in the bathroom). Compared to Delta, United couldn't be worse. Even Southwest and Frontier are better. 10 or 20 years ago all of this might not have even mattered. Can we say misappropriation of funds? In short, we will NEVER be flying United Airlines EVER again.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was checked in for my flight from Singapore to LA then to Houston the night before the flight. My flight was 10am the next day. I received an email that United apologizes for any inconvenience without stipulating what the inconvenience is. I went to my United App and found out that they changed my flight to the next day. After inquiring I was told it was due to plane maintenance. After on the phone with United I was able to get a flight that would get me to Houston 3 hours before my daughter's birthday. I asked United for compensation for the trouble and got a “sorry for the inconvenience” response and that’s it. This airline seem to do whatever it wants without any regard to its customers. I would avoid United at all costs. This airline really has gone downhill. I miss the Continental days.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I had a terrible and infuriating experience with United Airlines. Last week -3rd July I had a vacation trip to San Francisco from Dallas with my family and friends. We booked a direct flight from Dallas to San Francisco with United Airlines at 7:00 in the evening. Few days before the trip, I got to know that flight has been cancelled and United Airlines offered us a revised direct flight schedule the same day in the afternoon which didn’t work for us as we didn’t plan for any leave from office that day. There was no direct flight option other than traveling with a one stop layover at Denver.

As per the revised schedule we boarded 5:00 PM flight from Dallas which landed in Denver at 6:30 PM Mountain Time. Our next flight to San Francisco was supposed to be at 7:55 PM but after reaching Denver we got to know that it has been delayed to 9:00 PM. Situation became more irksome and frustrating when we got to know that our flight got further delayed to 11:00 PM and all we were told that flights are delayed due to late arrival.

We requested at the boarding gate for another SFO bound flight leaving Denver around 8:15pm and found seat availability but they disrespectfully turned down our request since as per their policy, checked In luggages should go in the same flight with the passengers. We pleaded them that we’re traveling with infants and we were carrying very limited infant food and other supplies in carry on luggage but instead of showing some courtesy they told “they don’t care” and didn’t bothered to listen us.

We were redirected to customer service where we could see a more 50+ passengers standing in the line to discuss their problems which would have taken the whole night for us if we had to stand which didn’t make any sense. Finally we ended up reaching San Francisco at 12:30 Pacific Time late night. Surprisingly when we reached SFO found our luggages reached there earlier. So where does the policy stands for United Airlines which was showcased to us to onboard the flight around 8:15pm from Denver???

Overall it was extremely stressful journey for the infants and they felt unwell and didn’t get a good sleep due to this freaking United Airlines service. I have never experienced such a pathetic and ungracious customer service before. It seems like it has become a convention for United Airlines to treat their customers with their impertinent and discourteous behavior. They already have an history of their disreputed service when they mishandled a doctor dragging him out of the plane and now it seems to be evident.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information

1926
233 S. Wacker Dr.
Chicago
IL
www.united.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business