2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5
Based on 1,749 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On our return flight home from Denver, CO back in early December, we had the best customer service anyone could ask for. Here's what happened: out of 6 family members, 3 were scheduled on a direct flight home, while the other 3 were scheduled for a much longer, 1 stop flight home. We really wanted to be on the same flight, in order to be together and get home much quicker. Well, the bible says "you have not because you ask not ..."

So upon arrival at Denver airport on Sunday, Dec. 6, I thought I would at least ask a United Airlines attendant at the ticket counter if something could be worked out to get us all together. She was very polite, got her manager, and to our amazement, they switched our flight to all be together with no questions asked! My wife and I were astounded. It was wonderful customer service by United and we were very grateful and thankful! Thank you, United for your excellent customer service. It makes a difference when you help solve a problem for other people!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

This is in response to needing to change a flight scheduled for April 23, 2020. John ** was the customer service representative to answer my call on March 31, 2020. Mr. ** was very professional in talking with me about my flight and was very helpful in taking care of the situation that was caused by the CV-19. Mr. ** is a fine asset to the ongoing integrity of United Airlines. This is a stressful time for everyone and Mr. ** projected a calm and respectful attitude in dealing with yet another flight cancellation situation. I sincerely look forward again to flying "The Friendly Skies of United" very soon. By the way, my very first flight was United in 1965, from Flint, Michigan to Chicago. Been hooked on flying ever since. Very sincerely, Judie.

Original review: March 21, 2020

As an older individual I was worried about traveling a 13 hour flight to New Zealand. But I can't express enough how completely satisfied I was with this flight. The trip went by so fast because how comfortable it was. The seats were extremely comfortable with enough room in coach to actually bend down to tie a shoe without bumping my head. The TV monitor was a nice distance away without being in my face and the person in front could actually recline the seat a bit without it being intruding. I could cross my legs and actually sleep. We were given blankets and pillows in coach. Food was great..all in all it was a great trip and better pricing than other airline flying to New Zealand. This 13 hour trip was so much more enjoyable than a very painful 5 hour flight across US on an airline I won't mention.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have flown United over 1000 flights since 2009, reaching their highest "1K" loyalty year after year. The flights attendants' level of courtesy and service skill set vary to a large degree. There is no middle ground, either get an excellent experience or a poor one. The benefits of loyalty elite status are definitely worth going out of the way for, i.e. perhaps you take an extra flight to remain loyal instead of another airline direct flight. Perhaps you make a longer drive from Newark instead of Kennedy.

United's Mileage Plus program is very competitive with others, more based on dollars spent than miles flown (the old way). Let's face it, business travelers like me who have flown before 9/11 realize that travel is stressful and not quite the experience it once was. That's the price we pay for security. I will likely never switch to another Airline. United has done their primary job very well, actually perfectly- flown me back and forth to my destinations- 100% safely.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

We had a flight out of Texas that occurred during the severe winter storm. We suffered damage to our home and were not able to leave. We contacted them about 48 hours in advance. They had other people waiting on standby so I know they filled those seats. To top it off when the second storm hit they canceled the first leg of our flight so we would not have made it anyway. This wasn’t a sudden change of mind this was a state wide emergency and no one who had any sense would have left their property under those conditions. United may give good service but it’s only when it doesn’t cost them anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

2020 I had to cancel my flight for Los Cabos 2 one way tickets for 2 people. One segment was United. For both of us we were given a credit of $537.50. I have been trying to rebook, upgrading to business class (less scary with Covid still around). I was told it would be $1,459 per ticket less the ($268.50)=$2380 for 2 tickets. However Pricing on their website came out to $670.66 for both of us less the credit ($537.50)= $133.16 we owe in total. Quite a difference. When I have tried to explain that is crazy, their answer is it is not a new booking. However a flight credit is just that. You make a new booking and then apply the credit to the current price. Am I going crazy? How can I make someone understand if I am not. I have called and spoken with 3-4 people already. I have completed getting to Los Cabos, but can't seem to resolve this getting home.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

We had a major horrible experience with the United Airlines Agents at DFW airport (E5). It's my son’s wedding and they harassed me and my wife at the check in counter, the manager said it was ok to board the flight, but the employee (Sandra, she would not disclose her last name and flipped the badge and another employee (Aaron **) defended her and started arguing with us and was very very rude) did not even listen to her. All the employees started harassing us together, they were laughing at our faces while we were actually in tears cause we were about to miss our son's wedding. They traumatized us and my wife is scared to travel again due to this harassment. The names of the employees are as follows:

Jannis **
    Sandra (She would not disclose her last name)
    William **
    Aaron **

And other agents on this date (20 Feb 2021)

We would like some action taken against them so nobody has to experience what we went through, told my friends & family never travel United!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I have flown with United for the last 5 years. In the beginning everything was great, comfortable seats, kind caring flight attendants, and good amenities. Then about a year and a half ago the bad flights started. Delay after delay with a few cancelations, I missed more than 1 important appointment due to United's negligence. Now with the pandemic in full swing they seem to enjoy using their smallest planes and packing them full.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

United just doesn’t get it! In world of COVID other airlines are focusing on customer service! United just keeps shooting themselves in the foot!!! They waive change fees which is great; however, if you book a business or economy ticket they won’t let you change the ticket for a lower class fare like basic economy. This they make you pay more for a rebooking flight even though basic economy may be available!!! Racket to make more money with no customer focus!!! It’s a shame they just can’t get their act together like Delta and SW airlines!!!! Oh well. At least they are consistent!

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information