3.30/5
Based on 2,068 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Today my wife and I were on our annual pilgrimage from LAX to DIA to visit family when just minutes before take off I realized that my cell phone was not with me. I was 100% sure that I had the phone in my hand just 10 minutes prior, at the gate waiting area where I had just unplugged it from a United cell phone charger. On the way to panic, I waved down one of the flight attendants, told him I lost my cell phone, and crossed my fingers. About 10 minutes later one of the flight crew made an announcement that the flight would take off shortly after they retrieved a lost item from the gate.

Another 10 minutes later the same professional attendant brought me my cell phone with my driver's license and credit cards still inside. How they made it happen, I still do not know. But it was nothing short of a modern day miracle. To all the staff and crew who supported flight # 2293 LAX to DIA, THANK YOU and God Bless you in all your travels. I am indeed grateful for the amazing service you provided today.

Mark **, seat 30 D.

Original review: July 10, 2019

One big thank you to United! My BF and I were late for our flight in Pittsburgh and the agent who checked us in called our gate to let them know we were on our way. He then got us through TSA in 10 minutes when we would have been there for a 1/2 hour, if not longer. He then escorted us all the way to our gate, didn't charge us extra for checking our bags late, and printed our boarding passes! We were amazed! Thank you Pittsburgh!

THEN! When we got to DC we were waiting on our connecting flight to Tampa the agent told us that we didn't have seats together, but to hang tight and he will work some magic. After a few minutes, he called us up to the counter and told us that he did some shuffling around and got us seats together! So you thank you DC! There was a 3 1/2-hour delay when it was supposed to be an hour because there was a leak they were fixing on the plane, but we weren't even worried about that (as long as it was fixed!!). Thanks a bunch, United! You guys rock! :)

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I live in CA and usually have to fly out of LAX, about 2 hours in light traffic. I got assigned a job in Denver and left out around midnight to the airport to make sure I didn't fall asleep and miss my flight. A headache there as all I could do was sit and wait for ticketing to open at 3:30ish AM. Got to Denver, met with my contact around 1 PM, got back to the Denver airport around 4 PM to wait for my flight out at 10:30 PM (sad face).

When I got to the ticketing counter/bag check area and tried to use my company card on a kiosk, wouldn't work. The most awesome older gentleman, white hair (4 PM 12/6 ticketing/bag check at DEN). I walked away from that desk after he helped me just shocked. For once someone helped out, for no reason but to do it. I wish I got his name, but this one encounter will place United forever in my mind to use. Has never been an airline I've used in the past but will be in the future. Thank you for hiring an excellent representative for your company and generally a good person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I had at least 5 hours of delays for a flight out of Buffalo to Newark. An aircraft never left and after switching my connection flight twice, was told it was being taken out of service. Another plane was going to be sent from Chicago, to arrive after my last connection flight was scheduled. there was no way for me to get to any connection. I was set up with flight following day. We were an hour late getting off ground and we arrived in Washington fifteen min before my connection. I got off fast and shuttled to other side of airport and ran to gate. The flight was supposed to leave at 8:15a and I arrived to gate at 8:19 to find the plane left earlier than scheduled. Now I'm stuck again for five hours before I can get home or continue to my original destination. Always have issues with United.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

On Friday, November 8th, I flew from Houston to Detroit. I have a major thigh muscle tear and it's hard to walk. United helped me get to gate and changed my seat to help me. A+ care. Made me feel good.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

To whom this may concern, I had a 3 week vacation booked with my wife, Mother, and mother in law. United took us off the airplane and stated we do not have a passport to travel. The passport fell in between the seat and the United representative C. ** refused to let us retrieve it and escorted us off the plane forcefully by our forearms. United is refusing to reimburse for our flights and a lawyer is now suggested. I will NEVER fly with this company again after the psychological abuse on our flight from September 17th, 2019. Regards, Daniel

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I made my flight reservation 7 weeks prior to designated date of US domestic travel. I originally intended my travel date departure a Tuesday and return a Thursday. I was offered a much cheaper rate if I pushed back my departure date two days earlier, so I decided to go for it. I knew when making the reservation that if I were to cancel it I had to do so within the next 24 hours. I also glanced at the terms and conditions, acknowledging the vague statement "transfers not acceptable". I was 22 years old (still am as I write this review), eager to travel alone for the first time, did not want to exhaust myself with too much decision fatigue to the point I cancel my plans all together, had a slight headache, and wanted to secure a good deal before it's gone.

I booked a round flight, so I figured while I may not be able to switch my forward flight, I may at the very least be able to cancel just that and still have the return portion active. I was not able to do even that, I resumed work after vacation to substitute a quitting employee, so had to cancel my flight plans as day of departure is a working day. I think it is ridiculous that Economy class, the instinctive choice for a lot of travelers on a budget, does not offer a little more flexibility for people that book over a month in advance! $300 went to waste! Must attend departure portion of round trip or whole trip gets cancelled is just stupid.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I bought basic economic tickets but it looked hard for me to fly in the day. I called the customer service 10 days advance to my flight. They canceled my ticket and asked to fill a form for a refund without mentioning the basic economy won't be refunded. The guy also transferred my call to the united credit card branch to persuade me to get the card. Well, I got an email another day that since my ticket is a basic economy class, it will not be refunded. Had the customer service guy told me earlier then I could have tried other ways so that I can take my flight. This is just like cheating. They cancel your ticket sell it to others and not refund you too. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information