2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

United Airlines Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have flown United over 1000 flights since 2009, reaching their highest "1K" loyalty year after year. The flights attendants' level of courtesy and service skill set vary to a large degree. There is no middle ground, either get an excellent experience or a poor one. The benefits of loyalty elite status are definitely worth going out of the way for, i.e. perhaps you take an extra flight to remain loyal instead of another airline direct flight. Perhaps you make a longer drive from Newark instead of Kennedy.

United's Mileage Plus program is very competitive with others, more based on dollars spent than miles flown (the old way). Let's face it, business travelers like me who have flown before 9/11 realize that travel is stressful and not quite the experience it once was. That's the price we pay for security. I will likely never switch to another Airline. United has done their primary job very well, actually perfectly- flown me back and forth to my destinations- 100% safely.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I was coming home from Chihuahua, Mexico on Flight #UA4105 February 25, 2020. I had a little cooler with Medicines and when I was boarding the Flight attendant offer to keep it at front. Upon arrival in IAH she return it and had to wait for small suitcase. I am almost 70 yrs old and was walking very slow so I was the last one in the concourse. I got on the walkway and at the end I step out and fold down on my knees and hands. The small cooler went one way and my purse and suitcase another one. I look around to see if someone look at me for help.

No one was there so I sat on the floor for few minutes and try to get up and couldn’t when at that time comes the Flight attendant and the Pilot and immediate the Flight attendant told me not to get up and she call for help assistance but couldn’t find anyone. She tried to help me to get up and couldn’t and immediately the Pilot help me. She got my cooler and suitcase and help me to walk all the way to Immigration, then I was on my way to customs when another Flight assistant saw me limping and also help me all the way to pick up my other suitcase and got me a cart and put everything on it. If you have 10 Stars I would happily give them to you. The Flight attendant and Pilot on my Flight #UA 4105 save my day. I can’t Thank them enough. You have the best of the best and I wish I have their name but I don’t. Best Regards.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I wrote our negative experience from New York to Houston so this is my experience from Houston to New York. My experience was much better from Houston to New York. From ORD to ROC my wife was hungry and she asked the flight attendant if she could order food. The attendant said this is a short flight so there isn't any food available. About 10min she came back and asked what we would like that she saw some snacks set up for tomorrow flight. She gave us some snacks for free. Everyone is so nice.

We received earbuds to watch tv, cokes and snacks. The entire crews from Houston to Chicago to New York were very friendly. From our layover from Chicago to New York the flight was late so we had 5min to get to our connecting flight. They crew allowed us and other connecting flights leave the plane before everyone else, so we did not miss our next flight. We ran from terminal b12 to terminal b2 and just made it! Flying is an adventure. All in all the crews were kind, and giving.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Today my wife and I were on our annual pilgrimage from LAX to DIA to visit family when just minutes before take off I realized that my cell phone was not with me. I was 100% sure that I had the phone in my hand just 10 minutes prior, at the gate waiting area where I had just unplugged it from a United cell phone charger. On the way to panic, I waved down one of the flight attendants, told him I lost my cell phone, and crossed my fingers. About 10 minutes later one of the flight crew made an announcement that the flight would take off shortly after they retrieved a lost item from the gate.

Another 10 minutes later the same professional attendant brought me my cell phone with my driver's license and credit cards still inside. How they made it happen, I still do not know. But it was nothing short of a modern day miracle. To all the staff and crew who supported flight # 2293 LAX to DIA, THANK YOU and God Bless you in all your travels. I am indeed grateful for the amazing service you provided today.

Mark **, seat 30 D.

Original review: July 10, 2019

One big thank you to United! My BF and I were late for our flight in Pittsburgh and the agent who checked us in called our gate to let them know we were on our way. He then got us through TSA in 10 minutes when we would have been there for a 1/2 hour, if not longer. He then escorted us all the way to our gate, didn't charge us extra for checking our bags late, and printed our boarding passes! We were amazed! Thank you Pittsburgh!

THEN! When we got to DC we were waiting on our connecting flight to Tampa the agent told us that we didn't have seats together, but to hang tight and he will work some magic. After a few minutes, he called us up to the counter and told us that he did some shuffling around and got us seats together! So you thank you DC! There was a 3 1/2-hour delay when it was supposed to be an hour because there was a leak they were fixing on the plane, but we weren't even worried about that (as long as it was fixed!!). Thanks a bunch, United! You guys rock! :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: May 28, 2020

My daughter has an underlying health condition. I let United know that she can not fly, or go anywhere because of the COVID-19 virus. I sent them a letter from her Primary Care Physician stating this. They refuse to refund money for plane tickets I bought in February. Basically taking almost $900.00 because I am looking out for my child's health. Very sad that they would pull this! I recommend SouthWest.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Hello. United is a greedy airline. Cannot travel anytime soon, we were going to Denver to help our son and with the virus of course that’s not possible. My husband is a school teacher, we’re raising our granddaughter. Her mother our daughter passed away. My husband is a good teacher we were supposed to travel during spring break. I’ve been reaching out since March to get a refund. Our granddaughter has epilepsy and we are over 60 years old so we can use the money back. Please give us a refund.

Original review: May 25, 2020

I originally purchased two tickets for my friend and I to go to Charleston, SC. The dates for the trips were May 23rd-25th. Then this whole COVID pandemic happened. Of course, I deemed it not safe for me to go. So I contacted Orbitz (the site I used to purchase the tickets). The rep told me she would credit my account in 7-10 days. When that did not happen, I disputed the charges with my credit card company. But United Airlines fought back and now the charges are rebilled to my account. That is not right. I could not fly on an airplane to another state when there's a pandemic going on. It's not safe. It's not wise. It's not right that United Airlines is doing this. I feel they are cheating me out of my money, especially since I never used those tickets.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I had a trip booked for April 23 2020 to see my son get married. Due to the outbreak of Covid 19 everything has been cancelled, shut down, etc. so there is no wedding happening. United received a bailout from the government. Took my money and still won't issue me a refund. Travel vouchers is what they gave me which I have no use for. They are not very accommodating and not doing the right thing in this situation. I don't typically fly but if I ever do again I will not be flying United. They are the worst.

Original review: May 2, 2020

My son had a flight from Las Vegas to Australia today. He had many articles to take with him that we had purchased for his family and needed to take 4 suitcases. I called United and they told me that 2 suitcases would be free, a cost of $45 for the third, and $55 for the fourth. I confirmed that with the gentleman on the phone because I thought that I misheard him. The last thing that I said to him was "so it will only be $90 for all 4?" and he said that I was correct. Well, my son got to the airport and the man that checked him in told him that it would be a total of $400 for the two extra bags; $200 each!!! When my son asked the gentleman what would happen if he didn't have the extra money, the man said that he could take 2 bags with him and he could leave the other two there with them. This is absolutely unacceptable and this is just one more reason that I do not ever and will NEVER fly United Airlines.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information