2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.74/5

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have flown United over 1000 flights since 2009, reaching their highest "1K" loyalty year after year. The flights attendants' level of courtesy and service skill set vary to a large degree. There is no middle ground, either get an excellent experience or a poor one. The benefits of loyalty elite status are definitely worth going out of the way for, i.e. perhaps you take an extra flight to remain loyal instead of another airline direct flight. Perhaps you make a longer drive from Newark instead of Kennedy.

United's Mileage Plus program is very competitive with others, more based on dollars spent than miles flown (the old way). Let's face it, business travelers like me who have flown before 9/11 realize that travel is stressful and not quite the experience it once was. That's the price we pay for security. I will likely never switch to another Airline. United has done their primary job very well, actually perfectly- flown me back and forth to my destinations- 100% safely.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I was coming home from Chihuahua, Mexico on Flight #UA4105 February 25, 2020. I had a little cooler with Medicines and when I was boarding the Flight attendant offer to keep it at front. Upon arrival in IAH she return it and had to wait for small suitcase. I am almost 70 yrs old and was walking very slow so I was the last one in the concourse. I got on the walkway and at the end I step out and fold down on my knees and hands. The small cooler went one way and my purse and suitcase another one. I look around to see if someone look at me for help.

No one was there so I sat on the floor for few minutes and try to get up and couldn’t when at that time comes the Flight attendant and the Pilot and immediate the Flight attendant told me not to get up and she call for help assistance but couldn’t find anyone. She tried to help me to get up and couldn’t and immediately the Pilot help me. She got my cooler and suitcase and help me to walk all the way to Immigration, then I was on my way to customs when another Flight assistant saw me limping and also help me all the way to pick up my other suitcase and got me a cart and put everything on it. If you have 10 Stars I would happily give them to you. The Flight attendant and Pilot on my Flight #UA 4105 save my day. I can’t Thank them enough. You have the best of the best and I wish I have their name but I don’t. Best Regards.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I wrote our negative experience from New York to Houston so this is my experience from Houston to New York. My experience was much better from Houston to New York. From ORD to ROC my wife was hungry and she asked the flight attendant if she could order food. The attendant said this is a short flight so there isn't any food available. About 10min she came back and asked what we would like that she saw some snacks set up for tomorrow flight. She gave us some snacks for free. Everyone is so nice.

We received earbuds to watch tv, cokes and snacks. The entire crews from Houston to Chicago to New York were very friendly. From our layover from Chicago to New York the flight was late so we had 5min to get to our connecting flight. They crew allowed us and other connecting flights leave the plane before everyone else, so we did not miss our next flight. We ran from terminal b12 to terminal b2 and just made it! Flying is an adventure. All in all the crews were kind, and giving.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Today my wife and I were on our annual pilgrimage from LAX to DIA to visit family when just minutes before take off I realized that my cell phone was not with me. I was 100% sure that I had the phone in my hand just 10 minutes prior, at the gate waiting area where I had just unplugged it from a United cell phone charger. On the way to panic, I waved down one of the flight attendants, told him I lost my cell phone, and crossed my fingers. About 10 minutes later one of the flight crew made an announcement that the flight would take off shortly after they retrieved a lost item from the gate.

Another 10 minutes later the same professional attendant brought me my cell phone with my driver's license and credit cards still inside. How they made it happen, I still do not know. But it was nothing short of a modern day miracle. To all the staff and crew who supported flight # 2293 LAX to DIA, THANK YOU and God Bless you in all your travels. I am indeed grateful for the amazing service you provided today.

Mark **, seat 30 D.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I booked tickets purposely on United because of what they offered for price but equally for the time of flight, duration of trip and convenience. The original booking was for a evening flight, 3.25 hours, nonstop. We received a notification that our flight was changed COMPLETELY. Instead of departing in the evening and flying non-stop United decided we need to fly out in the morning, one connecting flight in Washington and then to our destination. We have work that day so we made the flight an evening departure for a reason. They take it upon themselves to make their customers rearrange their entire itinerary without any consideration. It feels like a bait and switch gimmick to me.

Give customers a great itinerary choice, great price and after they fill up the seats they completely change it to benefit them. They basically are telling their customers "now that you have made all your plans for travel, hotel reservations, family picking you up, we are going to change that for you without any regard to those plans". Only a major corporation that only cares about its bottom line does this to their customers, because if mom and pop businesses did this, they would be out of business. I have always liked United and their service with previous travel. Since Covid airlines are taking a big hit and they are needing to make up for their losses. Unfortunately they are going to continue losing out after the aftermath because of poor customer service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

United Airlines is holding our $2,300.00 for a trip to Spain in May 2020 which was canceled due to COVID-19. We are now sending our credit card company we used to buy the tickets a complaint letter asking for help getting our refund. I hope someone from United sees this and decides to help us get our refund since this is the worst experience I have ever had with an Airline company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I book an international flight with United for $685. I later had to cancel the flight for Covid-19 related issues. When I re-booked a flight the ticket happened to be $148 cheaper. I asked for a refund. The united representative said they could give me a travel certificate which I could use on a subsequent flight. I finally got clearance to travel and tried to re-book a flight with united. This time the ticket price had gone up by $78. Instead of using the $148 credit to pay the difference, United asked me to pay the $78, indicating that the travel certificate could only be used on certain flights, referring me to the "fine print" that came along with the travel certificate. I feel defrauded of $148. I understand the United may be having hard times but all airlines are having difficulties. I am not likely to use this airline in the future, and would actively discourage others from using this airline.

Stan

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Recently I traveled on United first class. Planes are dirty and old. On my return there was a major delay due to their computers were down. The agent told me they couldn't print paperwork. The pilots needed to take off. I know this is not true because my neighbor is a chief pilot. Due to their problems the agent booked me on flight on American in economy class. Once home contact united and filled out a refund for the difference in ticket cost going from first class to economy. Guess what their response was? I would not be getting any refund period. I guess united needs the money more than my business which is 1K status. Switching airlines. United is rated one of the airlines with delays and cancellations.

Original review: July 28, 2020

First flight was cancelled by United due to Covid. They gave us a voucher. We rebooked a new flight for the same day. Then we got an email stating that portions/legs of our new flight were canceled/unconfirmed. Asked for a refund since they cancelled BOTH flights for this event and we no longer trusted that booking a new flight wouldn't be cancelled as well--we decided to just drive.

Over an hour on the phone with customer service. Two reps hung up on me as soon as I explained the problem (!!!). Nobody would refund us to our credit card because the "second flight was paid for with the travel voucher" so they could "only refund us to a voucher"--when the ONLY reason we used a voucher was because they cancelled our first flight (for which we were entitled to a refund). Horrible customer service and now they are keeping our money for a flight they cancelled twice. We have no intention of flying with them again.

After reading many other similar reviews, I believe they are intentionally pushing out vouchers, and encouraging people to rebook for future flights which they never intend to actually follow through with. Then when they cancel the future flights, the customer is no longer entitled to any refund per their policy because the later flights were booked with travel vouchers. They are taking customers' money and ultimately not providing any service.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information