2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5
Based on 1,755 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 31, 2021

This flight on 2/6/21 from Dulles to Dallas Fort Check-in was helped by a very nice lady who ensure none of our bags were overweight and let us shift stuff between bags to balance the weights between bags. That same lady was helping with the boarding process at our gate. United requires all passengers to wear a mask all the time when we were checking in, at the gate and at all times during the trip, except when we are eating or drinking. Boarding was done by rows from back to front, and gate agents announced it beforehand so everyone knows when their turn is coming and there is no rushing towards the gate. Very organized. We always carry some Clorox wipes with us when we're flying that we use to clean the armrests, seatbelt, tray table, screen etc. since we didn't think the airline would provide the wipes. After we board, we were given sanitizing wipes, so we can use that instead of Clorox. Good job, United!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I flew United Airlines when I had to go to Palo Alto VA hospital, it was a nice ride, the only unpleasant experience I had was in San Francisco airport with one of the customer service employees, she was very rude, unprofessional, and had no respect at all for me, I'm a Disabled Veteran and Combat Medic, she treated me about as low as you can get, just because I asked her a question, but everything else was great, the pilots, flight attendants and my flight, both coming back and going there, other than the one bad apple, it was a pleasant experience.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

United really focused on customer service and was very helpful at the kiosk. They left the airport on time and arrived a little bit early. The restroom on the plane was actually clean and had a good supply of paper towels. There wasn’t enough room in the overhead bins because everyone had carryons and the flight was full but they checked my bag at the door and it was waiting for me and ready to go right when I got off of the plane.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On our return flight home from Denver, CO back in early December, we had the best customer service anyone could ask for. Here's what happened: out of 6 family members, 3 were scheduled on a direct flight home, while the other 3 were scheduled for a much longer, 1 stop flight home. We really wanted to be on the same flight, in order to be together and get home much quicker. Well, the bible says "you have not because you ask not ..."

So upon arrival at Denver airport on Sunday, Dec. 6, I thought I would at least ask a United Airlines attendant at the ticket counter if something could be worked out to get us all together. She was very polite, got her manager, and to our amazement, they switched our flight to all be together with no questions asked! My wife and I were astounded. It was wonderful customer service by United and we were very grateful and thankful! Thank you, United for your excellent customer service. It makes a difference when you help solve a problem for other people!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Original review: May 4, 2021

We were offered future flight credit when we could not disembark in New Zealand, due to country closing their borders because COVID-19. We should have been offered full cash refund! We tried using credit for a flight to Rapid City in August 2021, we were told only good for New Zealand, our credit voucher says any United Destinations! Terrible company to deal with!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2021

I paid on March 2nd for two seats from Orlando to Newark where I was able to choose my seats. A week later I got an email saying my seats were changed. So I called United and due to inconvenience the representative upgraded us since the original seats we chose were not available. Then a few weeks later I got another email saying my flight seat were changed and the flight time of arriving in Newark at 6:44pm was no longer available. Which in fact it was available. So I called United again spent 2 hours on the phone. The representative changed our seats back to the original row, apologizing for the inconvenience, unsure of why they kept changing our seat location.

The night before our flight, the night of April 24, 2020, I got an email to confirm my flight and I see again my seats were changed again. Now for the third time I call United and the representative said there’s nothing that they can do. The flight is full. UA only apologized. Said they can’t do anything else after I asked to be reimbursed the difference in price for paying to choose my seats.

Original review: April 25, 2021

This ** sell you tickets and then right before your flight day cancel your trips with no explanation and they told me that my refund would take 6 to 8 weeks for me to get it and when I expressed that is not fair they told me that I wasn't forced to book a flight with them. Really is this a joke, is this their customer service??? I advise stay away from this company if you want to call this a company. I call it Highway robbery. ** UNITED AIRLINES.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Flight attendant accused a friend of mine of vaping in the bathroom. Didn’t have any evidence. Didn’t bother to look for any. Didn’t check. We offered to be searched. We had just went through TSA. They separated us from friends and family. Didn’t tell us that we were going to be removed from the plane. Luggage still still left on the plane and furthermore I was just want to take it with the accuser and they also kick me off the plane as well. I kept asking them why was I being kicked off the plane even though I wasn’t the one that was being accused. They stated because we were on the same ticket.

Then when I contacted customer service they lied and said I elected to leave the plane as well. This company stays on the news and in the headlines for their discriminatory acts. The flight attendants need more training. Customer service sucks. Save your time and your money. Travel with a clean plane with great customer service elsewhere.

Original review: April 16, 2021

1. SEATS CHANGED. Upon checking in for our return flight in Istanbul on April 8th, we discovered that our seats had been changed for the final Denver to Seattle segment of our return trip. Apparently, there was an equipment change; our previous seats of 3D, 3E were changed to 1B, 2E. The obvious problem was that we were no longer sitting together. The second issue was that my husband was put in the bulkhead, in our view the most inferior row of first class.

I immediately attempted to rectify the situation by first going on-line to change the seats through my United Airlines account. I was informed it couldn’t be done because it was less than 24 hours before the flight left. I then contacted United Airlines via telephone. After a 50+ minute wait the representative replied there was nothing she could do. Once again in Denver, we attempted to have the seats changed. The gate agent also informed us it was not possible. She suggested we ask the other passengers in Business Class if they would move/change their seat.

She did however claim that United Airlines attempts whenever possible to keep traveling partners together. I question this assertion. I personally counted four passengers on the flight who were single travelers. Specifically, the people in 1A, 2A, 2B and my seatmate in 2F, were all traveling alone. We did ask the woman in 1A if she would change; she declined.

If indeed United Airlines makes every attempt to keep family members together, why were we split up when any of the four single travelers I personally noted could have been moved without consequence. The initial reservation was made and paid for on March 3rd, over a month ago. Why were we singled out to be inconvenienced?

2. VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE CONNECTION IN FRANKFURT/UNLOADED LUGGAGE. On paper the connection for the second of our three flights returning to Seattle from Istanbul on April 8th seemed “tight”. We deferred to United Airline’s wisdom that it was doable, since the itinerary was sold as such, and immediately upon landing in Frankfurt we proceeded to literally run through a maze of security checks/terminal changes via train/motorized walkway/more security checks to our gate. The final straw was yet another check point at the beginning of the Z gates (our flight left from Z25) to once again check our PCR tests, the PCR tests we had uploaded the day before per United Airlines instructions.

These were the PCR tests that were supposedly approved as being correct and sufficient by United Airlines after they were uploaded on April 7th. When we finally arrived at the gate everyone else was on the plane: we made it with five minutes to spare. We are each 66 years of age, but thankfully are both fit, healthy individuals. I’m convinced the majority of passengers our age (or even those younger) would not have been successful in reaching the gate on time.

While we barely made the flight, our luggage did not. This was discovered when we went to retrieve it in Denver, while going through the usual process of clearing Customs and rerouting luggage to its final destination. The baggage agent we queried was surprised it was not there given there was just over an hour allotted for the luggage to be transferred from our Turkish Airlines flight.

Our experience highlights and reinforces some of the reservations we previously held with United Airlines. Frankly, your airline is always at the bottom of our list of choices when make our frequent (before COVID 19) travel plans. Years ago, we had several experiences (for one, being abandoned on a grounded UA flight from Tucson to Grants Pass and not being informed the flight was cancelled until all the crew had left the plane and it was too late to get another flight), which caused us to question United Airline’s dedication to customer care. What in the experiences I’ve outlined above illustrates that United Airlines “cared” about our welfare?

Which brings up another pet peeve: United Airlines capricious citing of COVID-19 to justify various actions when it is convenient. COVID-19 was used to close the various airport lounges, for example (SEATAC closed for over a year) and to reduce in-flight service to next-to-nothing. Yet when we were separated when our seats were reassigned, we were put in the position of sitting next to two perfect strangers. Also, United Airlines makes a big point about off-loading the passengers “one row at a time”; in reality, when those same passengers boarded the flight they were left standing, in the aisle for at least five minutes (I time it), inches apart (and inches from the passengers already seated). Where does the “social distancing” fit into this dynamic?

We have derived our own theories about what happened in our case.

1. SEAT SEPARATION. Someone “much more important” than us caused us to be “downgraded” when our seats were reassigned. We noted that the woman in Seat 1A received a lot of positive attention (thank-you’s, special fussing) from the flight attendant. Perhaps she was an airline employee/relative/ etc?

2. LUGGAGE MISSING FLIGHT/TIGHT CONNECTION. United Airlines crafted a virtually impossible connection in Frankfurt, one they didn’t expect we would make. This was done solely to “sell” the fare. That is why our luggage was never even put on the flight to Denver; United Airlines didn’t want to have to turn around and take it off when we missed the flight. We would welcome any alternate explanation for the issues that arose on April 8th, for our return flight from Istanbul to Seattle.

To conclude, during normal times we travel extensively, worldwide, for both business and pleasure. Cost, while of course a consideration, is not the most important issue when we choose an airline. We are in the financial position to travel first/business class and place much more value on comfort and customer service, attributes we find sorely lacking with United Airlines.

POSTSCRIPT: The above narrative was sent to United Airlines. Their response, received today, was unsatisfactory, to say the least. They wouldn't acknowledge any of my complaints, dismissing them as my impressions. Then they had the temerity to express hopes I would use them again in the future. As if...

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information