2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5
Based on 1,756 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 31, 2021

This flight on 2/6/21 from Dulles to Dallas Fort Check-in was helped by a very nice lady who ensure none of our bags were overweight and let us shift stuff between bags to balance the weights between bags. That same lady was helping with the boarding process at our gate. United requires all passengers to wear a mask all the time when we were checking in, at the gate and at all times during the trip, except when we are eating or drinking. Boarding was done by rows from back to front, and gate agents announced it beforehand so everyone knows when their turn is coming and there is no rushing towards the gate. Very organized. We always carry some Clorox wipes with us when we're flying that we use to clean the armrests, seatbelt, tray table, screen etc. since we didn't think the airline would provide the wipes. After we board, we were given sanitizing wipes, so we can use that instead of Clorox. Good job, United!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I flew United Airlines when I had to go to Palo Alto VA hospital, it was a nice ride, the only unpleasant experience I had was in San Francisco airport with one of the customer service employees, she was very rude, unprofessional, and had no respect at all for me, I'm a Disabled Veteran and Combat Medic, she treated me about as low as you can get, just because I asked her a question, but everything else was great, the pilots, flight attendants and my flight, both coming back and going there, other than the one bad apple, it was a pleasant experience.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2021

United really focused on customer service and was very helpful at the kiosk. They left the airport on time and arrived a little bit early. The restroom on the plane was actually clean and had a good supply of paper towels. There wasn’t enough room in the overhead bins because everyone had carryons and the flight was full but they checked my bag at the door and it was waiting for me and ready to go right when I got off of the plane.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On our return flight home from Denver, CO back in early December, we had the best customer service anyone could ask for. Here's what happened: out of 6 family members, 3 were scheduled on a direct flight home, while the other 3 were scheduled for a much longer, 1 stop flight home. We really wanted to be on the same flight, in order to be together and get home much quicker. Well, the bible says "you have not because you ask not ..."

So upon arrival at Denver airport on Sunday, Dec. 6, I thought I would at least ask a United Airlines attendant at the ticket counter if something could be worked out to get us all together. She was very polite, got her manager, and to our amazement, they switched our flight to all be together with no questions asked! My wife and I were astounded. It was wonderful customer service by United and we were very grateful and thankful! Thank you, United for your excellent customer service. It makes a difference when you help solve a problem for other people!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Trying to use this airline for work will not work. They change the reservation - not by hours but by complete days. There’s no point. Use an airline that actually flies to the location (not 4 hours away) on the day you need. Truthfully, some of the worst outsourced CS help, combined with an inability to maintain an actual flight plan should tell you all you need to know. Refunds are pointless and they do NOT give free flights after hours and hours of tribulation. Run.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I have used this airline carrier for over 20 years, unfortunately into and out of SFO, as it has been the only carrier that flies from there to my hometown, into a small airport north of SF, where my family lives. A couple years ago, I was heading to my family's hometown on a Friday for my husband's memorial service the next morning, where he had spent most of his adult life serving the public (the local service where we lived at the time of his death was for friends at our new home). Soon after my husband's death, due to shock, I had fallen down a ladder and broke my heel. For the trip, I had been recovering for 3 months and still used a cane. My flight to SF was delayed by SF due to weather - a common occurrence.

My connecting flight from SF to the hometown was delayed over and over on the hour. When I asked a United customer service rep about this and explained that I needed to get to my husband's memorial service, he just shrugged. He had no answer whether the flight would go or not. At 11 p.m. that night, I requested wheelchair service to go to the car rental station, and the United customer service rep just stared at me and acted like she didn't understand English. I went to a different desk and requested the same thing, then I rented a car to drive 5 1/2 hours to our hometown to make sure I could get to the memorial service. My understanding is that my connector flight never flew there that night. United also did not refund me for that leg of the journey.

In the most recent case this April, I recently flew the same route to visit family over spring break. On the return trip, SF delayed our takeoff for an hour, causing me to miss the last flight out of SF to my hometown. The stewardess explained the reason was due to runway renovations in SF and that the airline would pay for a hotel if we got stuck in SF due to the delay, because it was not "weather related".

By the time we arrived in SF Airport, there were no airport customer service reps available, no food available, and the United customer service rep's only option was to hand me a flyer with an 800 number to reserve a hotel room "at a discount" for the night through Roomstorm, whereby I was charged by both Roomstorm for the very expensive hotel reservation as well as the hotel. I would not recommend this air carrier or airport to anyone. I am thankful that soon the hometown airport will have a different carrier option, with direct flights to and from that completely bypass SF.

Original review: May 4, 2021

We were offered future flight credit when we could not disembark in New Zealand, due to country closing their borders because COVID-19. We should have been offered full cash refund! We tried using credit for a flight to Rapid City in August 2021, we were told only good for New Zealand, our credit voucher says any United Destinations! Terrible company to deal with!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2021

I paid on March 2nd for two seats from Orlando to Newark where I was able to choose my seats. A week later I got an email saying my seats were changed. So I called United and due to inconvenience the representative upgraded us since the original seats we chose were not available. Then a few weeks later I got another email saying my flight seat were changed and the flight time of arriving in Newark at 6:44pm was no longer available. Which in fact it was available. So I called United again spent 2 hours on the phone. The representative changed our seats back to the original row, apologizing for the inconvenience, unsure of why they kept changing our seat location.

The night before our flight, the night of April 24, 2020, I got an email to confirm my flight and I see again my seats were changed again. Now for the third time I call United and the representative said there’s nothing that they can do. The flight is full. UA only apologized. Said they can’t do anything else after I asked to be reimbursed the difference in price for paying to choose my seats.

Original review: April 25, 2021

This ** sell you tickets and then right before your flight day cancel your trips with no explanation and they told me that my refund would take 6 to 8 weeks for me to get it and when I expressed that is not fair they told me that I wasn't forced to book a flight with them. Really is this a joke, is this their customer service??? I advise stay away from this company if you want to call this a company. I call it Highway robbery. ** UNITED AIRLINES.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information