2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently flew round trip from Atlanta to O'Hare on United and could not have been more pleased. From reservations to check in, going through security, to boarding and in flight service everything went very smoothly. I am an elderly, arthritic, overweight, cancer patient that had to travel to a funeral. I have one of those faces that always looks grumpy, and truth be told I usually am. But United even made ME smile. I had heard such horror stories on how horrible air travel has gotten, well not on United Express. Their seats are roomy with plenty of leg space, even in coach. I was pre-boarded and assigned seating with even extra legroom. I have a good, rather expensive walker, and they took excellent care of it, I gave it to them on boarding the plane, and it was waiting for me when I got off. They even had wheelchairs waiting for me when I got off, with friendly attendants. I would not hesitate to fly them again. It was like flying used to be.

Original review: April 1, 2020

This is in response to needing to change a flight scheduled for April 23, 2020. John ** was the customer service representative to answer my call on March 31, 2020. Mr. ** was very professional in talking with me about my flight and was very helpful in taking care of the situation that was caused by the CV-19. Mr. ** is a fine asset to the ongoing integrity of United Airlines. This is a stressful time for everyone and Mr. ** projected a calm and respectful attitude in dealing with yet another flight cancellation situation. I sincerely look forward again to flying "The Friendly Skies of United" very soon. By the way, my very first flight was United in 1965, from Flint, Michigan to Chicago. Been hooked on flying ever since. Very sincerely, Judie.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2020

As an older individual I was worried about traveling a 13 hour flight to New Zealand. But I can't express enough how completely satisfied I was with this flight. The trip went by so fast because how comfortable it was. The seats were extremely comfortable with enough room in coach to actually bend down to tie a shoe without bumping my head. The TV monitor was a nice distance away without being in my face and the person in front could actually recline the seat a bit without it being intruding. I could cross my legs and actually sleep. We were given blankets and pillows in coach. Food was great..all in all it was a great trip and better pricing than other airline flying to New Zealand. This 13 hour trip was so much more enjoyable than a very painful 5 hour flight across US on an airline I won't mention.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have flown United over 1000 flights since 2009, reaching their highest "1K" loyalty year after year. The flights attendants' level of courtesy and service skill set vary to a large degree. There is no middle ground, either get an excellent experience or a poor one. The benefits of loyalty elite status are definitely worth going out of the way for, i.e. perhaps you take an extra flight to remain loyal instead of another airline direct flight. Perhaps you make a longer drive from Newark instead of Kennedy.

United's Mileage Plus program is very competitive with others, more based on dollars spent than miles flown (the old way). Let's face it, business travelers like me who have flown before 9/11 realize that travel is stressful and not quite the experience it once was. That's the price we pay for security. I will likely never switch to another Airline. United has done their primary job very well, actually perfectly- flown me back and forth to my destinations- 100% safely.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I was coming home from Chihuahua, Mexico on Flight #UA4105 February 25, 2020. I had a little cooler with Medicines and when I was boarding the Flight attendant offer to keep it at front. Upon arrival in IAH she return it and had to wait for small suitcase. I am almost 70 yrs old and was walking very slow so I was the last one in the concourse. I got on the walkway and at the end I step out and fold down on my knees and hands. The small cooler went one way and my purse and suitcase another one. I look around to see if someone look at me for help.

No one was there so I sat on the floor for few minutes and try to get up and couldn’t when at that time comes the Flight attendant and the Pilot and immediate the Flight attendant told me not to get up and she call for help assistance but couldn’t find anyone. She tried to help me to get up and couldn’t and immediately the Pilot help me. She got my cooler and suitcase and help me to walk all the way to Immigration, then I was on my way to customs when another Flight assistant saw me limping and also help me all the way to pick up my other suitcase and got me a cart and put everything on it. If you have 10 Stars I would happily give them to you. The Flight attendant and Pilot on my Flight #UA 4105 save my day. I can’t Thank them enough. You have the best of the best and I wish I have their name but I don’t. Best Regards.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

United is the worst airline that I have ever used. I am a frequent flyer, so you can imagine my utter annoyance when 4/5 united flights between 2018-2019 had complications. From hours of delays waiting for another plane to arrive to straight up cancellations with no seats available on other flights for 3 days, United has proven themselves to be trash. Their customer service offered no compensation or promo code when I failed complaints. Every time I see a united flight pop up as an option for my travels, I feel violated. Just two days ago we live to Canada with Air Canada. There was a tiny hiccup with my baggage which customer service handled with ease and through in a 10% off promo code for my next flight! Moral of the story, don’t ever waste your time or money on United Airlines. If this could be a 0 star review, it would be.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

My boyfriend and I had planned a short but very special 5-day trip from 11/21-11/26 to celebrate my birthday (our first celebration together) in Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Bora Bora is situated ~1hr flight from PPT (Papeete, Tahiti). We planned to stay at the exclusive Conrad Bora Bora, this is a $3,000/night one-in-a-lifetime experience we are talking about, and we were looking forward to celebrating my birthday with our friends and this was all planned 6 months ago. Also, our first international trip in 2020 during these crazy and uncertain times.

We checked in at the United counter at SFO at 10.05 am on 11/21 with two smaller trolly bags. Both bags were priority tagged – both bags checked in at the same counter by the same United representative, handled by the same United baggage personal - so what could possibly go wrong one would think!? Unfortunately, my luggage (which was tagged under my boyfriend's name and number:**) never showed up at PPT despite having it checked in 2hrs before departure. Moreover, the airports were not crowded at all and despite being a **DIRECT** flight from SFO!

We’ve spent excess time and energy, international roaming fees to be on calls with the Houston office to deal with a problem that we had no part in, in fact we paid for a service we never got! Moreover, we had to deal with this issue on our own in a country that was shut down due to COVID-19 and we could not even buy the basic things we wanted! But this is not about buying items...this was supposed to be a stress-free, happy occasion for us and we can’t understand how a priority tagged bag, checked in 2hrs before departure, on a direct flight does not make it on the flight! This has caused so much anxiety on our short 4 day trip that was supposed to create happy memories for both of us. The customer experience and service has quite frankly been a nightmare to us, and we’ve had to deal with this on our own.

There is so much bureaucracy in the UNITED system and if you call one number, nobody wants to take responsibility or wants to help us out – we’ve learned first hand that your system is BROKEN. Nobody even knew why the bag did not make it on the plane to begin with! I made multiple calls to figure out where my bag was and there still day 3 into my trip and nobody could provide an answer. Once I got off the long calls with United, you do not magically stop thinking about where the bag is and when we could get it back!! This is wasted vacation time at a daily rate of $3,000, which we cannot get back. This is irreplaceable! This may be just another lost luggage in the United statistics, which no one at United cares about, but it’s a mistake one that had a huge negative impact on what was supposed to be a fantastic birthday celebration for us and our friends in Bora Bora.

I had no dresses, jewelries, swimsuits, workout clothes and other personal items intended for a big multiple days birthday celebration with our friends at the exclusive Conrad Bora Bora! We are talking literally NO clothes – NO clothes, and given our own concerns about the COVID situation outside it is impossible to find suitable replacements locally, and even if we wanted to venture out in pursuit of those, most local shops are closed due to COVID. I had to buy clothes from street vendors who could not really produce a receipt either.

After 72hrs, on 11/24 we received a call that the bag had been found at SFO and yes of course, it is clear that nobody really put that bag on the flight to begin with! We were offered that the bags be put on a flight on 11/24, only arriving at Bora Bora on 11/25, which we declined as we were returning on 11/26 and we did not want the bag to be lost yet again! As I mentioned above, this is a short trip and Bora Bora is an hour flight from PPT and there were no flights the same day from PPT to Bora Bora that same evening. At this point we just wanted UNITED to no do more damage to our trip than what had already been done and I did not want my bag to make it to Bora Bora when I just left the country. So I came back to SFO and my bag was right there!

UNITED, you’ve done us WRONG! We have both been faithful UNITED customers for years and this is such a disgrace to your loyal customers. My boyfriend wrote a letter to you as well and we did not hear back at all. I am extremely frustrated with your lack of empathy and ability to compensate me to make this right. And please don’t tell us we have to submit receipts for the urgent items that we bought (with most shops closed and us only have to shop at street vendors)...that in total cost $500 with the expenses for the international roaming fees.

After spending $3k per night for accommodations at Conrad Bora Bora, you should really be compensating us for one night of this nightmare that has caused us so much anxiety and panic or give us an open business class ticket for our next trip. I am going to write about this on a blog and on some public forums. It has truly been a nightmare... what is the point of paying extra for priority! This is a sad signal you are sending to us that you do not care, and quite frankly this is unacceptable UNITED. Please be a considerate corporation that genuinely cares about your customer base and show us how you can rectify this situation and earn our loyalty and trust back.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

My sons recently flew on United Airlines to visit us for Thanksgiving from their college break. So I discovered a few schemes that United Airlines has created in order for the passenger to purchase the most expensive ticket. We purchased the economy tickets in which we discovered United Airlines makes it more difficult to check in ON PURPOSE!

Scheme #1, when you go to check in and enter your booking number, it will guide you through the normal procedure and then when you go to the carry on bags it automatically states that you purchased an economy seating ticket so you do not have the privilege for a carry on bag unless you pay. So we had to pay $60 for two very small suitcases that could fit above the seat that was purchased. The two small suitcases had to go in the aircraft's baggage compartment.

Scheme #2, economy tickets do not allow you to sit with the person you are traveling with unless you pay. Choosing seats used to be if you wanted to sit in first class but now they have a chart of how much each seat cost if you want to move. What's next coin operated storage, credit card swipe to open the restroom door. How cheap and cheesy where you are scraping every penny from the passenger. Who the hell comes up with these ideas as they should be fired.

Scheme #3, while checking in with an economy ticket, you must check in at least one suitcase and pay the $30 fee or a message will pop up stating that you cannot check in online and must check in at the airport. So we attempted once again and checked in one suitcase. After paying the $30 fee, it magically allowed us to check in one of my sons, but because the other did not have a suitcase this time he had to check in at the airport. United Airlines knows exactly what they are doing and that is "Purchase a more expensive ticket or we will run you through hurdles and make your experience more difficult." United and Continental merged years back and now passengers are stuck with fewer options and United Airlines ridiculous schemes!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

For bag worth Rs 15000 damage, compensation of only 7300 Rs is agreed...Only after giving invoice of new purchased bag. Why compelling me to purchase new bag. I'm just asking compensation for my damage.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020
    Hello. I just wanted to say that I was traveling by United Airlines. My bag got damaged. It cost around 15,000 Indian rupees. My baggage cost around 15,000 rupees. But the authorities said that they will only reimburse 7,000 rupees. “Okay, you give. No problem. You will reimburse me 7,000 rupees.” But now, they are saying they will reimburse once I purchase a new bag. After purchasing that new bag, I have to produce that invoice to them. After that, only they are going to reimburse me that 7,000 rupees. So my question is that, what is this? Why they are compelling me to purchase a new bag. But anyhow, they have damaged my old bag, so they are giving me the compensation for that bag. What is the relation between a new bag and the damage, which already caused in my bag. So this was my question. So I’m saying that I want the reimbursement. I don’t want to purchase a bag now, but I want the reimbursement for the bag which they have already caused the damage. Thank you.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information