1.87/5
Based on 286 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

United Airlines

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

2092 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

United is continuing to do everything it can to ensure that the public knows just how bad an airline it is. On 1/30/18, we went to check in for our return flight from Rio de Janeiro on their partner airline, Azul. The flight had been booked and confirmed more than three months prior. The flight was also booked with United award miles on United’s site; the first leg of the return flight occurring on Azul airlines and the second on Avianca. There were two travelers on the same confirmed reservation but upon check-in, Azul couldn’t find the second traveler’s reservation even when presented with the email confirmation containing the ticket number. We were forced to purchase another ticket for this leg of the flight or we would have missed the flight entirely.

The odd thing is that the second leg of the flight was fine; Avianca had the reservation and everything continued normally thereafter. Once home, I presented United with a refund request, which they denied. They claimed since the ticket was non-refundable, that I am not entitled to a refund and they patronizingly apologized, “if there was any confusion (by me) when purchasing your ticket or reviewing your receipt”. It continued on to state (in poorly written English) that there are general rules that apply to all tickets, all of which don’t pertain to the fact that United screwed up the reservation which forced me to buy a second ticket. They totally glossed over the fact that somewhere in either United’s computer system, Star Alliance’s system, or in Azul’s system, something failed.

It’s as though the rep assigned to the request didn’t even read it. The bottom line is we had to purchase an additional ticket because of an error that was not ours and United is refusing to refund the additional ticket cost. They were “kind” enough to present me with a $75 voucher for a future flight to be taken within a year. Even worse than the denial of the refund request is that no one has cared to tell me what happened although I asked several times. I have no trust in United and don’t plan to be stranded somewhere by them again.

I have the United Mileage Plus Explorer credit card from Chase. I am going to cancel this card shortly. Chase has been good but I don’t plan to fly United again and therefore won’t need the credit card. I wish I could sell my remaining award miles to someone as I don’t want to use them. If you like being left stranded and no one at the airline taking responsibility, then United should be your choice of airline.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I recently flew United and much to my surprise... despite paying an extra 25$ for myself and another 25$ for my husband to take our little suitcase with us in the overhead bin - we were declined. Apparently, if you buy the "basic economy" ticket - despite paying extra for luggage, you can NEVER, EVER, EVER carry it onboard and place in the overhead compartment. Even if there is room. Unbelievable and so unfair. This policy needs to change! If a consumer pays for luggage, where to place that luggage should be dependent upon the SIZE of the bag. This airline offers no courtesy to customers. When I asked if I could pay an ADDITIONAL amount, I was told "there is absolutely nothing you can do to get your luggage in the overhead bin, you simply bought the wrong ticket". This airline is scamming, rude and makes no effort to accommodate their consumers. I personally will never fly United again. I hope it goes BUST!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The airline made us check in our carry on items due to no space in the overhead bins however when we got to our seat there were plenty space to store our luggage. But the crew never bothered to even check. They’ve assumed there was none. I needed to get home fast. That was the whole point of not bringing a big suitcase, now I’m late for an agenda. And who’s going to compensate???

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Items stolen from luggage, cancelled flights rebooked with extra baggage fee in breach of contract, rude flight attendants, seats that would not remain reclined - very uncomfortable on such a long trip. Appalling customer service on the flights and now especially in resolving our claim - they have blocked my email from contacting customer service and although they are in breach of contract they are trying to deflect me to others. $350 of losses but an insulting and self-serving 3 x $75 discounts off of other flights offered so far when I no longer want to travel with UA. Now looking into legal redress.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

On 02-17-2018 United flight #1118 was delayed by more than 50 minutes. This delay occurred after the plane was loaded and ready for departure from the tarmac. After 10 minutes of sitting there the captain announced we would have a slight delay of 10 minutes. He stated "as a courtesy he was waiting for a crew member that needed to get to PDX." After 15 more minutes he announced it would be another 15 minutes because the crew member was coming from gate 82. After sitting there for approx 45 plus minutes the crew member finally showed up. We again sat there for an approx 10 more minutes before finally leaving the tarmac.

Courtesy and good service is not allowing a plane full of paying customers to sit stranded on a plane waiting for a "United crew member". If anyone of us paying customers were even 15 minutes late for that flight it would have been part way to PDX. It's unbelievable that United chose to inconvenience not only a plane full of customers but all the individuals waiting in Portland to pick them up to accommodate "one" of their own! Absolutely no customer service is evident in their actions. Another example of poor management!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018 I fly this airline about 100,000 miles per year. I have status and have paid a lot of money to become 1K because I was 200 miles short for their program. Every time I try to use an upgrade they tell that class is sold out or they are holding it for someone to pay full price. I think this airline has a huge scam on upgrades...

Even when I pay and use my miles they say it is unavailable.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Customer service is rude. No final boarding announcement made and wasted an entire day of my vacation sitting in the airport. This is our second time flying United but our LAST. I can get blown off and disrespected for free, why help pay someone’s salary only to get disrespected and blown off. No thanks! Y’all are on your way out!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Missing your luggage when traveling is travelers' worst nightmare!! United Airline could not locate my baggage after I arrive at LAX from IAD on December 19, 2017. Despite numerous calls made for two days to the UA baggage delayed/lost department, no one there was able to locate my luggage. Since my daughter and I transferred plane at San Diego before arriving at LAX, we finally decided to go down to San Diego Airport personally to track my lost baggage. After we got to the Customer Service booth, Clare ** came forward and asked to help us. I explained the incident, and she tried to trace the lost bag, and she said the luggage is at LAX. But I told her that LAX personnel told us after we landed that the luggage was still at San Diego, and I asked her to call LAX to confirm that the luggage is there.

Clare called all the phone numbers at LAX, but all the lines were busy, and she was not able to reach anyone there. She told me that all the missing luggage at SD were accounted for, and my luggage should be at LAX. I asked her to check the record to see what time it arrived at LAX, and she said it arrived a few minutes after I arrived LAX two days ago. But I said that's not possible, because I checked at the counter after I arrived LAX and could not find my luggage, and was told that the luggage was still at SD airport.

After one hour and half of checking and conversation with the personnel in SD, Clare said as the last resource, she will show us the storage where the unclaimed luggage are. When she opened the second door of the storage, I spotted my luggage sitting on the rack. I found my luggage!! It was tagged with another passenger's name. I want to express my deepest gratitude to Clare who went through every possible ways, and used all the resources that she had, trying to help me to find my luggage. United Airline should hire more employees like Clare, and I am sure that UA's image would greatly improved.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

This is the third time I am flying United in the past two years. The only reason I don’t fly them more is because I already avoid them whenever any other airline is available. Once again they have screwed me. My bags were not able to be taken up on the plane with me. Service is nasty and horrible. I cannot stand this airline time and time again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

The crew on flight from Newark to Austin was disrespecting humiliating and mean. I wish United Airlines can hire more enthusiastic decent and willing to work flight crew. I was traveling with my baby and my baby due to turbulence threw up a bit but I took that in my hand so that the seats don't get dirty and rushed her to the restroom which was already dirty but I cleaned up the seat before using it. Flushed it. But because I had a two-year-old I had to keep her on my shoulders as you know the restrooms are so tiny so my daughter pulled out a few tissues and threw them on the ground but I cleaned most of it. When I return to my seat 1 of the staff members comes and tells me leaving the bathroom like that is uncool. I tried to explain to her I cleaned it before using it but she wouldn't listen. She just walked away and the other flight attendant did the same thing. I was so hurt that I did not take even a glass of water from them???

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

First, let me state up front that I have a congenital defect; it is called loyalty. I have flown with United for years and have been a member of their frequent flyer program for over ten years. I have their credit card But since they dragged that man off the flight and injured him and their CEO tried to fluff it off, United has gone straight down the toilet. I have had many bad experiences since then, including being accosted by a rude flight attendant for asking a question about customs forms (we were flying to Dulles from St Maarten but they had no forms in English, only in Dutch). But I will leave all my bad experiences and relate the latest one which I am posting so that anyone who books with United will have some idea of what to expect. I booked a direct flight from IAD to SXM for June 2, 2018 returning direct flight on June 9, 2018.

First, let me state up front that I have a congenital defect; it is called loyalty. I have flown with United for years and have been a member of heir frequent flyer program for over ten years. I have their credit card But since they dragged that man off the flight and injured him and their CEO tried to fluff it off, United has gone straight down the toilet. I have had many bad experiences since then, including being accosted by a rude flight attending for asking a question about customs forms (we were flying to Dulles from St Maarten but they had no forms in English, only in Dutch). But I will leave all my bad experiences and relate the latest one which I am posting so that anyone who books with United will have some idea of what to expect. I booked a direct flight from IAD to SXM for June 2, 2018 returning direct flight on June 9, 2018.

About a two months ago, United discontinued direct service to St. Maarten and booked us on a flight from DCA to EWR for a direct flight from there. DCA is not the closest airport so I called to complain and to say how unhappy I was that I went from what was a 4 hour flight to a 8 hour flight but they said I had the choice of cancelling, and, miracle of miracles, they would charge me nothing to do so. I told them I could not do that because I could not cancel the reservations at the resort and left the flight as they were.

THEN, about a week later, I received an email saying that my flights had changed again. They cancelled the flight from DCA and we would have to travel the next day. I called customer service again to voice my displeasure. They said again that my only option was to cancel the flight. I said that to me, my only option was to get us to Newark in time for the direct flight on June 2. But that would involve a midnight bus ride and would cost money. I asked for some points or a voucher to help cover the cost. Kim, the supervisor with whom I was speaking, said she could only give me 75.00 for each of us in vouchers for future travel on United. I said I would take that since it was all I was going to get. She said I would receive them within 24 hours.

Today, a week later, I still haven't received them and called again. I spoke with another supervisor, Rosie, who said she would check. Kim never sent the vouchers. Rosie said I would get them today. I am not holding my breath. United has become one of the worst travel experiences I have ever had. I have over 158,000 miles so have to use them up. I have booked three more flights and still have 58000 points to use. Please, all you people who do so, pray for us. I think we are going to need it. After the points are used up, my loyalty for United is also eaten up. God help American business. It is getting worse by the day. There is no such thing as truth or customer service. If I did this sort of thing in my job (I work in Public Safety) I would be fired and/or sued after the first time I treated a citizen this way.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I am beyond frustrated with United Airlines. Me and my six family members have been bait and switched with our flights. There is total of 10 family members headed to Cabo San Jose April 14th. We have scheduled ALL 10 of our flights and transportation based on the itinerary purchased through United. Originally, the flight was suppose to arrive at 12:40 but then I got a flight change notification saying the new time would be 3 pm and now I have over a 3 hour layover.

Now, when I specifically book six flights based on the schedule and chose United over another provider because of the flight times and layovers, then they change my flight to a 3 hour layover. That is a BAIT AND SWITCH! I wouldn't have booked this flight had I known my layover/flight would be extended to EIGHT hours. I have two young children and this is a nightmare for a mom. But, as the customer service rep said, they "won’t charge me to change my flight" to a much crappier flight. Wow. How big of them. Now I get to book two different transportation services from the Cabo Airport (at $180 a pop) AND keep two children busy in an airport for three hours BUT at least I don't have to pay United extra for that.

A little feedback on how customer service should be: when an airline makes a mistake or makes an experience unpleasant for a customer, they should find ways to resolve it. Instead, they put myself and nine other family members out and it was probably just because they didn’t make enough money on the flight. There’s no weather delay or unforeseen circumstance here... This is about money and our $3,000 doesn’t count. When a business screws up, they should compensate their customers accordingly; not ask the customers to continue to compromise on flight time, layovers and seat selection. Now I have longer flight/layover times, get in hours later and got put in seats in the back of plane. So wishing I hadn't booked with United right now. I'm beyond upset at their unwillingness to find a solution.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

What a terrible experience. My mom who is 66 years old is traveling by herself and missed her layover flight. They made her sleep on the floor of Newark airport instead of putting her in a hotel. No courtesy for older people. Found the lady on the phone rude and disrespectful. Please don't travel with United.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have family's traveling every month. So I always helps them when they traveling. I never have any problems with United Airlines customer service before, it was the happened to me 4 weeks ago. I was trying to check my family luggage with the one of customer service person comes to me and tell me to move them please. We was said ok but between 5 second she just groped the luggage and throw the flowers. I just saying don't teach my staff be she is taking a lot but I ignored her after we get the line she's coming to as talking about me and bothers me. I don't say anything then I left.

Today's my mom flight same way we had her the please she just coming in front of me she's saying to me, "I now I remember you. I do not do any deal these morning. If you said something I will call the police and you will go to the jail. So my mom she is not speak English who is gonna help my mom. And then my friend was with me she did help my mom. What's is the problem with her without noting problem to call me police??? And is this airlines her own??? What's these women doing disrespect me when I'm going there??? I'm really scared of United Airlines about these women carelessly??? Please contact me. I can explain to you... cause I have voice recorder and witness. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I called early morning to see if I could change or cancel my dad's flight because of a family emergency that left my grandmother in the hospital going to surgery. The tickets was bought 1/28/18 and I called to change or cancel on 1/29/18. They kept telling that it would be better to call the agency the tickets were purchased from. So they gave me bogus numbers every single time I called back. All that they were telling that the 24hr window was up but they couldn't tell me what time or who sold me the ticket. They were unsupportive and a pain to deal with. They were trying to charge me $250 to cancel a $210 flight. Will never fly again with United and I hope others won't either.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have experienced delays about one third of the times I traveled with United. Also, the planes are cramped and there are always lines for the restroom but the staff has always been courteous.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Flight was horrible. The entertainment and movie feature on the UA app did not work on the flight. Before taking off it was announced that there was no wifi service available on the aircraft. I was flying for business purposes. I had emails to answer immediately. Also, the power plug below my chair on the aircraft was not working so my business phone completely died and powered off making it extra difficult to make arrangements once I arrived at the airport. Staff was unhelpful in helping me locate a power source. The fact that I couldn’t buy wifi on the aircraft totally interfered with my business and certainly cost my clients much inconvenience that day. It cost me sales because I couldn’t respond to emails/requests promptly. Some credit/compensation would be fair.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Our flight was Medford OR, at 830 am, ticket number #**, to San Francisco, CA and on to Ontario, CA. We left Medford Or one hour late, United knew we would miss our connecting flight from San Francisco to Ontario and every other flight to Ontario was booked solid. After they promised us if we waited on standby we could get a set to Ontario. There was not one flight they could get us on to make to Ontario that evening. So we told them to send us back to Medford, OR, my husband would miss his class and refund our money. That was in November 12th 2017. As of yet only our baggage of $50 each, has been refunded. I have contacted them over and over again about refunding our flight money. On November 26 they said they would be refunding my ticket back to our credit card $391.60. Nothing as of today and the only way to contact them is through a fax number. NEVER EVER fly UNITED AIRLINES ever again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Plane was on time in my case. First class food was disgusting. When the staff got to my seat, they informed us that there were only two food selections left for breakfast - eggs or cereal! This was first class! The guy next to me allowed me to choose. I chose the eggs. He got a bowl of Cheerios. During the flight, you were not offered service, you had to push the service button, and then the staff took their sweet time and served me like I took away some of their precious time. Unless I absolutely have to, I will never fly United again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Upon checking in for a recent United flight, they informed me that I could not carry on a bag in addition to my personal item. They informed me that I'd have to pay a $200 ticket change fee plus another $50 to carry the bag on. During the ticket purchase process I had no idea! Only at check in. After arguing with the phone rep, they finally agreed to let me pay $50 to carry my bag on. Ridiculous and more importantly, deceptive. I even Googled the bag policy prior to the flight. NO MORE deceptive United flights for me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My family and I, 2 adults and 2 children, showed up at MCO (Orlando airport) at 8:30 am on 1/8/18 to check into our flight that was scheduled to depart at 12:00 pm on 1/8/18. We purchased 4/5/17. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 12:00 pm. 8:45 am - We were informed that we were not on that flight by Jose at the front desk. He informed us that our tickets had been canceled. I then asked what we were supposed to do, and he informed me that there were no flights out. We were stranded. He told us that there was a record of United emailing me of the cancellation, but I received no email!

9:00 am (1/8/18) - I asked to speak with a supervisor. He informed me that since we didn't show up for our first flight on January 3, 2018, they canceled our departure flight. We were not informed of this prior to arriving at the airport. We were stranded. I informed him that I will no longer fly with United Airlines. He responded, "That's the pleasure of living in a Capitalistic society."

Background information: 6 months prior to the departure, I requested that the arrival flight be moved up by 2 days (personal reasons - we had an opportunity to visit with my husband's father that he doesn't get the chance to see often. Not the problem of United, I realize... but...) I noted the flight schedule was exactly the same. There was availability and the price was the same at this point. I was even willing to pay a fee. I assumed the fee was still $50 pp. I learned that the fee was $200 per person, $800 for our family of four (the cost of the round trip ticket). I called, I emailed, and called and emailed (I have everything on file!!!) requesting, even begging for a fee reduction... Anything reasonable. I was met by inflexibility and rudeness. At this point the ticket price had risen as well.

Customer Care claimed that the fee was clearly stated on their website (even though I purchased the tickets through a 3rd party). I looked up the fee on the United.com web page, and had to click through a few pages and read through a page of caps lock before I found it. (Not so transparent.) I found another way to get to Orlando on 1/1/18 missing our 1/3/18 flight. I emailed "Customer Care" several times in the process requesting a refund for a service that was not granted. Of course, United did not grant the request.

We paid for a service we did not receive, United offered no apology and is taking no responsibility. We were stranded. Luckily, Southwest Airlines had 4 seats on a flight out that night. They treated us with dignity and won our loyalty that day. I just want to be compensated for the service I paid for and did not receive! Flight Number: 1739. Flight Date: 1/8/2018. Origin: Orlando, FL, US (MCO). Destination: Cleveland, OH, US (CLE).

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My flight was changed. I inquired what the possible options were. I received a red eye flight, due to weather, so couldn't fly during day. I also didn't get this notice till the very last minute. However since I had to switch my schedule around and already being at airport at 430 am I had to ride back and now pay for vehicle storage and modify plans for return. Upon finally getting my tickets and connecting to my next day flight, I was not allowed to board unless I paid an additional 50$ for my bag. Even though the previous United person said I was ok with my luggage... So again very misleading and last minute charges are not appreciated. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

"Our United Nightmare". After a wonderful trip to Roatan Island Honduras we were ready to wrap it up and head home. We left our hotel in West Bay and chose to spend our final night in the Pristine Bay Resort in a beautiful villa with a private pool. We wanted a really nice last night. Everything was beautiful, the food was great, the view amazing. We woke early to enjoy as much of this location as we could taking a walk on the beach collecting shells and taking a dip in the pool and having a great breakfast. Sad to leave it was time to head to the airport.

Let the nightmare begin. We had checked in to our flight the previous night and were assigned seats together. Shortly before checking out we received an email from United saying that there was a plane change with the same flight number and we were reassigned seats no longer sitting together. The link would not allow us to change seats. My fiancée began to get nervous. I assured her it was no big deal and we would straighten it out at the airport, so we headed out. We arrived at 11:00 a.m. for a 1:50 p.m. flight to find a surprisingly long line already.

As we stood there after an hour the line had hardly moved except for the increase of people behind us stretching out the door. I watched people at the windows obviously having issues at the counter. At this pace there was no way they would get through the line to board all the people on time. I asked a United employee in the line what the issue was. I was starting to get nervous because the line had barely moved and they made no announcement. I was told the flight was overbooked and I explained that we had already checked in and had seats, I was assured there would be no problem and to wait patiently.

Almost 2 hours had gone by and we had barely moved. We had a 3 hour layover in Houston before our final flight to Los Angeles so I figured even if we were late it would still be ok. I started talking to some of the bewildered customers that had been to the window and asked what was going on. I was told that some people were being refused a seat that had already checked in as well. It made no sense. They were not boarding in any logical order. It was as if the original manifest was cut into strips and names were being pulled from a hat somewhere. Families of four that had booked and checked in together were being told only 3 of them were on the list. What list? We checked in? It was beginning to get crazy.

Finally we reach the counter at around 1:30 for a 1:50 flight. The girl at the counter said we were not on the list. After showing her the emails and confirmation that we were checked in she told us that the flight had again been changed again to a smaller plane with a new flight number so we were no longer checked in and they could not accommodate everyone. We explained that we received no other email, were checked in and there was no announcement made and we had been in line two and a half hours. We both had work the following day and needed to get home. With little concern or information she brushed us to the side and told us to wait with a growing upset crowd. The next couple after us was checked in and sent to the gate. I asked them if they had received notice of the new flight number and rechecked in online. They said no... What is going on here?!

We watched in agony with a group of twenty five or so other people as the plane took off. Still no information! Then the first announcement was made. A United employee came over to the stranded group and said to be patient they were going to organize transport and hotel vouchers for the stranded passengers. She said they were going to add an additional flight the following day and our itineraries were going to be pushed one day. I asked how we were to be compensated, voucher, etc for loss of time and work. I left a beautiful villa to stand in the airport for the better part of the day. If the flight was cancelled and I was notified earlier we could have made arrangements for work, the dogsitter, transportation from the airport etc. I was not. I was told they had no authority to give vouchers or compensation and disregarded abruptly. I would have definitely stayed where we were at Pristine Bay and enjoyed the day.

Two hours later we were all cramped on a full bus and sent to the Clarion hotel which was subpar at best and infested with mosquitoes. They asked me to put a $500 dollar hold on my credit card for the room. Are they kidding? They didn't asked me for anywhere near that at Pristine Bay which was a thousand times nicer hotel. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. We were also told that we were to receive a 10 dollar voucher per person for meals. Good thing I'm on a diet. Our meal the night before was $100 U.S. for two with no alcohol.

When we arrived at the hotel the staff was overwhelmed with the sudden rush of people. Another hour wasted. We were finally checked into to our substandard accommodations at 6 p.m. The meal vouchers good for snacks were not even ready when we arrived at the hotel. We received them around 7 p.m. That night we received our new itinerary for the next day somehow our 3 plus hour layover in Houston had been cut to less than one hour, to go through customs and make our next flight.

The next morning we went to the airport having to pay $50 dollars because the transport the hotel provided only left at 9:30 am, much too early, the window wouldn’t open till 11 and the next bus was at 12:30 which would be too late. After getting our own transport we arrived at the airport again at 11 a.m. The line was short and I thought we could be satisfied with a voucher and upgrade since they were supposedly sending two planes, to compensate us for time and loss of income. The line didn’t move again and people were complaining of getting bumped already. Within 30 minutes the line was out to the door and wrapped around the terminal.

Finally we made it to the counter. Same employee… here we go again... First I explained the income loss, time and trouble and asked what could they do to make it right. I also asked to be put on our original connection flight with a longer layover so we were not running through Houston fruitlessly. I was told there was nothing he could do and that an upgrade, voucher or reimbursement was not possible. I was also told that he did not have the ability to change our connection flight to its original time which is a daily scheduled flight from Houston to LA. I thought I was going crazy. This is United Airlines not Island Hopper Air in some third world country.

The topping on the cake was when a girl came up after returning from the gate, she cut in front of us and told the representative that she willing to take the $1000 dollar voucher to give up her seat on our flight. Simultaneously the rep looked at me and asked for my credit card for the baggage fees for our two checked bags. I lost my mind. I thought they didn't have the ability to offer anything which was a lie. I refused to give him my card and told him the least he could do is waive the baggage fee. He said it was not possible, the famous words, again and if I refused to pay there were plenty people willing to take my seat. I paid. Just had to get home. I was infuriated.

We boarded the flight. It was one third empty. I was assured by flight crew that we would leave on time regardless of the incompetence of the counter crew. That was a lie. We waited on the tarmac until people filed in one or two at a time until every seat was full. I already accepted the fact that we would miss our connection. We took off, made up some time and by some miracle got through customs in Houston, we checked our bags, went through security again, took a train, ran a marathon and made it to the gate as it was closing.

As we checked in the girl at the counter said our seats were given away. It was no longer possible to get seats together. When we asked how this could happen she rudely said she could explain it to us but if we wanted to fly at all she didn't have the time. We asked her name. She responded that she didn't have one. I asked her employee number. She told us she didn't need to provide it and if we wanted to argue they were going to close the door. I wasn't trying to argue. I simply wanted an explanation as to why our seats were given away, I am 6'2 230 lbs. My fiancée is 4'11 110 lbs. It makes it bearable for me when we sit together because I can encroach on some of her extra space.

We were both placed in the middle seat at the bulkhead with the solid armrests. It was unbearable for me. Why were our seats given away when we were pre-checked with our boarding passes sitting together? We landed in LA just thankful to be home went to baggage claim and… guess what? That's right! Our bags didn't make it on our flight.

The only helpful person was the gentleman that worked baggage in LA. He found that our bags were placed on a later flight and he would have them sent to our house. They amazingly arrived the next day by noon. The loss of income, incurred expenses, waste of time, and the stress caused by this whole debacle were enough to cause my fiancée to become ill. What can be done to make this right? We travel 10 or more times annually for years and this was by far the biggest lack of service and communication we have ever experienced by far, all without any attempt at correcting the awful situation. We were told that it would be straightened out and we would be compensated, however no one had the power to do anything. We were told over and over to contact customer service.

We deserve and demand no less than a full refund to cover our losses and a voucher, hopefully, for a decent experience in the future. Please respond if there a hint of customer service left at United Airlines. Manager that never appeared to answer or advise in Roatan, Teresa **. Counter representatives Roatan, Naaman **, Regina **. The employee in Texas as I had said refused to give us her name. She rudely stated that if we wanted her name or I.D. she would give them to us after the doors closed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We had a return journey flight from Atlanta, US to Melbourne, Australia through Air New Zealand with a stopover at Houston via their alliance partner airlines United. The flight was scheduled to leave Atlanta @ 7:20 pm on July, the 14th and just had enough time to do the security & immigration procedures (if any) @ Houston before taking the Auckland flight.

Before leaving for the airport, we checked with United's customer care and we're informed that flight is on-time & we reached airport 2.5 hrs before the scheduled time. Out of 12 check-in counters, 6-7 were operational and of which, 2 were quite long. It was said that some system problems were causing these delays and it was getting chaotic with too many people waiting to be served. It’s well known that the customers experience with United Airlines is heading south, but didn't knew this could be so bad. But, didn’t realise that the worst is far from over.

It was 15 past 6pm and the display board indicated that the flight got delayed by 60 more minutes. It was still fine as we would have made to the connecting flight albeit bit of running from one terminal to the other. Finally after long wait, we were at the counter at about 6:30pm and Ms. Velma **, the person at the counter, keyed in the details in the system and told us that the flight is delayed to leave at 9:20 pm and will reach Houston at 10:16 pm, meaning that the connecting flight to Auckland will be missed.

Back then, my wife was pregnant with 13 weeks and we had couple of appointments with the doctors on Monday, the 17th. We did ask for an alternative route so that we don't miss the appointment, given that we had a month long holiday in US and we want to get her checked in Melbourne at the soonest. Ms ** did say that she will look for an alternative option that will allow us to reach Melbourne at least on late Sunday or early Monday morning to meet the doctors on 17th morning. However, instead of assisting us, she left us stranded in the counter, attended another passenger for 15 mins and then informed us that there is nothing available and we had to contact the New Zealand team (Not sure if she was aware that its late in the night in NZ).

We even asked her to make a special request that will allow us to fly by 7:25pm Delta flight to Houston, given our situation but she denied straightaway. When asked to connect me with her supervisor, she did point us to Charlie ** (I think his emp id is **) and left us stranded in the counter. 10 mins gone and it's about 7 in the night, we knew it’s near to impossible to reach Melbourne on Sunday. It couldn't be more chaotic, not just for us, but for the entire community that's waiting to board various United flights.

We did bump on another counter and pleaded the staff (I think her name is Valeria) to look for an alternate route that would allow us to reach Melbourne for the Monday morning appointment, however she informed that the only earliest option she could think of was via SFO but that sector had 12 hours of transit time and will be late Monday morning when we reach Melbourne, not to forget that we would end up spending more for stay, food, etc... during this 12 hour transit. We did ask her to check with her supervisor (reckon it's Charlie), she came back to us saying that there is no other option available and it was more like take it or leave it. She conveyed this message and left us.

Finally, we got a chance to complain to Charlie at about 7:20pm and he said that there was an option to fly via SFO, but we missed as the gates were closed. An hour ago we were told that no option was available and now someone said that there was an option, that's missed. If we had a sensible person at the counter, we could have boarded the flight and would reach Melbourne on time. Its ridicule to the core and since the partnered airline staffs did a shoddy work and we were forced to miss to fly out on the 14th of July. Flying out by next day was the only option they gave us through the same route which will not only miss our doctor appointments, but also end up paying for the additional stay expenses. I did ask to fly out on an alternate route, but they were reluctant to change the route or the carrier.

The next day, as usual we arrived at the airport 2-3 hours earlier, did check the bags in and we thought it’s smooth. However, after completing the security checks, when we went to the gates, the display said that the flight is delayed by 30 mins. 30 became 60 and 60 became 90 and when I went to the counter to reroute given the situation as we don’t want to end up staying in Atlanta one more day and have to be in Melbourne for my wife's appointment, the display said that the flights have been cancelled. My fear of spending another day in Atlanta looks inevitable, not to forget another day of expenses that needs to be tackled.

We were denied to leave Atlanta again and the ground staff Ms. **, could only give us little time to decide if we would like to the reservation to fly out by the next day. Again, it’s take or leave kind of situation and we were forced to take that as we didn't have a choice. This time, we got the reservation via Delta, which the staffs denied last 2 days and in this case, the transit at the Houston had 12 hrs. I can only feel sorry for my wife who couldn't take up the stress both physically and mentally and unfortunately can’t stop her from breaking down.

On the 3rd day - 16th Jul, we were at the Atlanta airport and boarded the Delta flight, but the flight couldn’t take off despite cleared to fly as it reported some mechanical issue. An alternate flight was arranged to leave Atlanta at about 3 in the afternoon and the 12 hr transit time we had indeed proved a blessing in disguise. Finally, we reached Houston and were really hoping for to fly back to Melbourne. 3 hours before the boarding time, I was informed by the Air New Zealand staff at the gate that our reservations weren't visible in the system and they will have come back to me after checking with the United / Delta crew in Atlanta. I briefed our 3 day sufferings to Air NZ ground staff and she made lots of inquiries and believe me, it took more than 2 hours for her to check the status. I was certain that there will be way out but on the flip side of it, if she had said that we don't have reservation, it would have been a nasty nightmare.

It was highly distressful and pressurising and our boarding passes were issued minutes before the boarding time. Our ordeal didn't end there, she told us that our meal preference wasn't updated in the system and we can't be guaranteed the food we want. The meal preferences were updated 3-4 months before the travel, confirmed the preference couple of days before we took the flight from Melbourne and called United team 2-3 times during the cancellations to ensure our food choice is updated. In the flight, we were served food with meat and my pregnant wife couldn't get the proper food and she struggled the whole journey. We thought our plight would end once we leave Atlanta, but it didn't leave us.

My points: if Velma acted sensibly, we could have taken the flight to the west and we would have caught up the flight to Melbourne (which had enough seats). Or, if Velma allowed us to fly by Delta to Houston, we would have boarded the flight to Auckland. If United can allow us to fly out in Delta on the 3rd day, why they didn't allow us to fly on the 1st day itself. I’m sure Velma understands what pregnancy means and the importance of medical checks, can't get why there is no consideration despite me ready to show her the records

Effects of travel via United: My wife, who was then pregnant, had miscarriage mid Aug and doctors have attributed that stress is the key factor for this unfortunate incident. Not sure how my wife’s health is coping up before we can plan a baby again. Doctors labelled her next pregnant as risky. 2 weeks of work missed due to hospitalisations. Hospital expenses. 3 days of loss of pay due to flight cancellations. 3 days of school missed due to flight cancellations.

Expenses incurred due to the additional days stay, multiple travel from home to airport, parking, fuel and other expenses and not to forget the credit card fees and etc... Frequent international calls to inform hospitals, work manager and other connections on our delay. Unlimited physical stress in loading and unloading bags, including packing and unpacking - caused an injury while lifting and shifting the bags. Quality time with the family not spent. Mental pain and agony that no device in the world can measure. Loss of sleep and rest, not to forget the stress that translated to the pressure. Waste of time. Airport and travel sickness. Many physical issues and other stuffs that words can't explain

The only thing I received from United despite repeated emails to United and Oscar Munoz (CEO of United) ‏was a travel voucher worth few hundred dollars which can be used only in U.S. Someone eating filth can only come with these kinda ideas and wondering if United was expecting us to fork out 1000s of dollars to use this voucher? The support staffs at United knew what am I referring to and I’m now taking this to social media to outline my agony as United didn’t bother to handle this properly as it should be. The miscarriage ordeal is continuing till now and my wife is still undergoing scans and checks.

My experience is yet another example of how United treats their passengers and presume my ordeal will be an eye opener to those who planned to fly out by United. It's well known that United lacks professional ethics, but it’s time that the world should know they are inhumane. Shame on you United, even a sparrow has a bigger brain than you…

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Purchased two lounge passes through their app and my credit card was charged a total of 5 times. All 5 $59 charges posted. I've been on the phone with United Airlines for the last two hours. I received an email confirmation for the two club lounge passes, which proves I only made two purchases. The representative I am speaking with is actually being really helpful and trying to get to the bottom of it (I'm on hold while she speaks with the tech department). I have been reading her all of the long purchase ticket numbers from each unauthorized charge on my credit card. Total waste of time and a lot of frustration. Moral of the story: I wouldn't use the United Airlines app to purchase lounge passes unless you want extra charges for transactions you never made to post to your credit card. Go in person to a United Club to buy the passes in person.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Jan 3-4 2018. Warning: I know that "** happens" but this could've been easily avoided if I was just treated a little bit better. This is gonna be long. I fly with HK Airlines from BKK to HK. No problem. Then I had my layover which was 20 hours or so. I tried to check in early to be super safe but they weren't open until 3 hours before my flight (UA 180). I was like, hey no problem. I'll chill and wait until they open. After that I thought to myself "I'm checking in 3 hours early at an airport I'm already in so I should be safe." WRONG.

I get there 3 hours early and there was this LOOOONG ASS line with a crap ton of people (they had 2 employees at the check in counter). So I was like imma go thru the electronic check in thing since they had a way shorter line. I wait about 30 min to get to this thing and press away to get my boarding pass. I finish and this machine tells me that I have to talk to one of the representatives to get my boarding pass. So I do that and this employee tells me to go to the back of the line which had at least half more people than it had before.

Mind you I had no luggage with me at the moment. At this time I had about 2 hours left. I stand the line for about an hour & some change and finally got helped. I talk to the lady to make sure my luggage from my other flight was squared away and guess what? They had no clue where it was; so I had to sprint my ass to HK Airlines and back to resolve it. At this time I only had 30 or so min to my flight, so I cut through all these people in line, get my boarding pass, go thru security, and haul my ass to the freaking gate. And thank God, I made it.

I get on the plane thinking we're going to Newark. Pilot suddenly announces due to weather conditions, we're going to Chicago. I was like hey ** happens. Get over what just happened and move on. No one can control the weather and I was perfectly fine with that. I get to Chicago, stand the immigration line and get my new boarding pass (UA 3620) to go to JAX. I look at my boarding pass and realized I had 40 min to get to the plane and since I got redirected from Newark to Chicago, I had to wait for my luggage and check it in again. I tried to check my 2 luggages in and these United guys said I could only check 1 of my 2 bags.

I go thru TSA and since I was rushing, I forgot that I had canned food that was over the limit in one of my supposed checked in luggage; TSA had to specially check my bag. Since there was a line, this took about 20 mins or so. TSA guy tells me "I can't believe they didn't let you check this in". After this, I realized I had less than 10 min till my flight leaves. So I sprint at least a mile and freaking make it; I get to my seat and the pilot announces "There's gonna be a delay due to a missing crew member". At this point I just smiled and said "Wow". About 30 min passes and finally we fly.

Screw these guys. Y'all shoulda just dragged my ass outta the plane instead of all this. I never had a good experience flying with them and I will never fly with them again as long as I have that option. Thanks for making it to here. Have a good day. PS: I am currently serving in the US military. Thank you for your service United Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

United Airlines and Hotels.com have no charity during a time of crisis for a local charity, Courts for Kids, in Washington State. A group of teenagers and chaperones were coming back from the DR when a blizzard occurred in the Newark area. The charity tried to cancel and reschedule the flight prior to the blizzard knowing it was going to happen and other flights were already being canceled.

United Airlines refused to cancel the flight. The teenagers had gone to the DR to build a safe place for kids in an orphanage to play during their own Christmas break. These selfless teenagers raised money to go on this life-changing trip. While they were there they gave away almost all of their belongings to the children in the orphanage. Leaving them with only summer clothes on their back to return home. United Airlines way to give back, refuse to change their flight after multiple attempts by Court for Kids. AND they refused to provide food or lodging for the teenagers.

A hotel was secured through Hotels.com and the hotel rooms have to be paid for by the parents because the charity does not have the funding to cover the hotel rooms. A specific request for these kids was a hotel breakfast included in the room. Hotel.com refused to honor this request and booked them in a hotel without a breakfast. This type of treatment for people that have given their time, hard work, and becoming part of a different culture for a short period of time is beyond outrageous and unacceptable. Such large corporations can't even give something this small is beyond any comprehension and is exactly what is wrong with the world today. Especially coming right after a time of year where most people feel even more charitable. I will no longer use Hotels.com or fly on United due to this display of utter disregard for those in need.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I booked, long in advance, a United flight with miles + dollars for Economy Plus. My husband did the same and we selected seats and made sure to be sitting together. A day before the flight I check and discovered that I was moved to another seat without my knowledge. When I called United representative they were able to move us back together, but on non reclining seats. I find this action by United inappropriate and disrespectful. There should be a rule that once a seat is selected by a passenger, the airline cannot changed it without his/her knowledge.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I was flying from Chicago to Vegas (I live in Vegas), October 2016. I checked in early and I upgraded to get an exit seat to have more space to study for my exams. At the gate, the personnel changed my ticket to accommodate a couple. I believe that they sold my seat to accommodate that couple. Instead of window exit seat, I got an aisle regular seat. I told the flight attendant that I do not accept that exchange. They changed it again and gave me a regular window seat, again, not the seat I paid for and not enough space for me to study. After that they made me wait in the aisle while they threatened to get me out of that plane, moreover, since the other passengers did not know what the issue was about they were all looking at me like I’m causing problems, yelling some “nasty stuff” while the flight was acting like she does her best to deal with a problematic passenger.

After all, one of the passenger from a window-exit seat gave me her seat. Although, all that time while waiting in the aisle I tried to maintain myself calm, when I finally set down I broked in tears and I felt like my head was split open. I never felt publicly embarrassed like that. Whether the reason was United or not but on the second day after that trip I could not stand up from my bed, I was numb like that for a few days until my friend took me to a doctor and I’ve been on depression-anxiety medication since... There is more to the story and it gets worst, but I will avoid the rest... For a few extra dollars, United Airlines undermined my rights and my wellbeing, I did not deserve being treated like a criminal.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Flew United from Detroit to Beijing with stop in Chicago. All the legs were put into 1 flight before leaving. For my return I had to make a flight change to an earlier day. I called United when I was in Thailand to change my Beijing to Detroit return. Was told I can change it at the counter when I arrive even though it would be 5 am in the morning. Upon arrival in Beijing airport no one at the closed United counters and had to return 6 hours later to change the flight, as I was instructed even that morning, at the counter. Wait in line 20 mins, get to counter and am told that United does not do flight changes at the counter and I have to do it by phone.

Call United to make changes and am told it will cost me 300 plus another 140 for a seat change cause no more economy seats left. Ok no problem, as I confirm Beijing to DTW I am told that they do not have the info if there is a seat available on the Chicago to DTW leg but when I land in Chicago just show the people the receipt for my flight change - already paid for - and they will put me on the first available flight. I wait in the same line again for another 15 or so mins, I go over the flight plan again with them to make sure it is all set before getting my boarding pass and am told it is Beijing to DTW with a stop in Chicago, just show the paperwork in Chicago upon landing.

Land in Chicago, go and present my documentation and receipts and am told they have no record of me, my flight or my payment. The only thing they have is my original flight 3 days later. I state that is incorrect, I show my paperwork and documentation and sent to the customer counter who again tell me they have nothing in their computers about my change or flight even though I am standing in front of them. The counter people call main office and I am told United Asia messed up and never put on the last leg even though I paid for it. But since there is nothing in the computer or records I will have to pay again for my last leg Chicago to Detroit if I want a flight.

I show all my info and say I paid for it the original time, I paid for it a second time with the change, and now they want me to pay for the same leg a 3rd time because, by their own admittance, United Asia messed up. They claim they cannot offer me anything and I must buy a full priced ticket because they have nothing in the records even though I have the paperwork and documentation in my hands showing them. Got charged 230. for a one way back to Detroit on the last flight of the day. Sent complaint into United and they sent a 97.00 refund. I tried calling a number of times but no one to talk to and little customer service. Sent letters 2 different times explaining what happened and that I should be refunded the full amount and got zero reply. Tried for 2 months and still nothing so called again today, explained what happened and was told yes they see the issue and transfer me to refunds/complaints. Click, I get hung up on again.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information

www.united.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use