1.27/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2291 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Cathy ** answered my phone call to my lost iPad when I phoned United baggage lost and found at Newark NY airport and walked and got it herself. She is outstanding, empathetic and found it for me. I am eternally grateful and she is the ideal United employee. Please give her recognition! Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My flight had been booked for several days. Round trip in one very long day that began at 3 am. Our plane was supposed to board at 6:50. However, after we waited and waited, they announced at 7pm that our flight would be delayed a half hour. I chose to get a meal at a nearby restaurant while I waited for this delay, and reported back by 7:18. However, when I arrived to the gate to check in, I was declined admission and informed that they gave away my seat. We still have several minutes until take off (7:30 pm due to a half hour delay), and I had waited for over 2 hours for this flight.

The attendants unapologetically denied me the $300 seat I had reserved days in advance. They were willing to do absolutely nothing to remediate the situation. It is completely unacceptable that they could unrightfully give away my paid for seat to someone else after they delayed the flight at the last second like they did, and still would not give me my seat despite me being present at the delayed boarding time. I don’t understand how this is acceptable behavior or customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Four days ago I arrived home to Seattle after a round trip flight with United to Sydney Australia, it was undoubtedly the worse travel experience of my life having flown the same route over twenty times. (I am Australian having lived in the USA for forty-two years.) To begin with the flight attendants appeared to be in their late fifties and into their sixties. This wouldn't be a problem as I am in my sixties and still working but their attitudes and level of service was atrocious. They barked at the passengers with not even a hint of civility, they would serve a meal (2 in 15 hours) then twenty minutes later would come down the aisle with something to drink to wash the slop down. Obviously they were short handed as it's usual that a drink cart would immediately follow the food cart, not United.

In addition the Boeing 687 Dreamliner was designed (per United ordered layout), more like a Nightmareliner. The aisle ways are extremely narrow obviously to accommodate more seats but didn`t accommodate the extremely large and wide buttocks of two of the flight attendants (two and of the four in economy in both directions). These wide posteriors would be constantly bashing into passengers sitting in an aisle seat as was I. Obviously United Airlines has low standards for their flight attendants and disdain for their passengers. I will never fly United again and have been making a point of telling everyone I can of this wretched airline.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

On 3 January 2019, I flew out of Omaha, NE airport via Denver and Dulles airports and then on to Johannesburg on South African Airways. My status on SAA allowed me 3 bags free of charge. However, when I checked in at the United desk in Omaha, they charged me $250 for extra bag. They allowed me two bags free of charge. No amount of complaining helped. I eventually paid the $250 but called an agent at customer service later who told me that what the agent did was not correct and that I should lodge a request for a refund. I did that and United just told me that there would be no refund. I believe that they are flouting the Star Alliance agreement between airlines that they would respect the other's commitments. The service was shocking!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am at the Hayden, Colorado airport today and was planning to take a Delta flight home, until a Hayden/Delta employee crashed into the Engine causing the flight to be cancelled indefinitely. There is a flight that will get me home later tomorrow, and it is a United Flight (a sister company to Delta that allows them to transfer/exchange flights). Delta asked to speak to a representative at the window to help with the transfer and they refused to initiate the request - out of laziness. They were claiming "time" but there was plenty of time.

The first blonde women I approached behind the counter (no name tag present) - I said "hi, may I have some assistance." She shrugged acknowledged my presence and walked to the complete other side. The other woman remaining proceeding to tell me she was so busy on-boarding passengers. Not one passenger passed in my maybe 30 minutes of dealing with them. The Delta Representative quoted an airline guideline "240" I believe in which the transfer initiation should have taken place. The woman on the phone (Kathy **) insisted she knew the code but would not comply. Anyways...I am not stuck in Hayden Airport...indefinitely with these women who can't bear to do their jobs... WAY TO GO UNITED CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

So I booked my flight with United thru JustFly and apparently the two weren't on the same page with my flight itinerary. I arrived at 7 pm. My flight was for 8:20pm (Burbank to Sacramento) to be told by a United Agent that my flight was scheduled to leave at 5 pm earlier (which was cancelled but Never received any info via email, probably because my flight was scheduled at 8:20) therefore she didn't know why I was there and she informed me that because I was so late that my ticket was no longer valid And there are no flights from Burbank to Sacramento for another 3 days that LAX has been experiencing cancellations as well due to the weather. I started to get upset freaking out. (Ended up, Not the case)!

After showing the United Agent my email confirmation of my itinerary she then calls her supervisor and explains the confusion and she all of a sudden was able to book me on the next flight that was leaving within 15 minutes. So I had to rush. The United Agent of course put blame on JustFly. Frankly I blame both. I tried to book a flight from Burbank to Sacramento today and found I could have, in fact United had plenty of available seats for the next few days. United Agent lied to me as far as I'm concerned. For obvious reasons I would not recommend United. I felt the agent could have been more professional offering solutions rather than get a paying customer frazzled. I'm not one who can afford to fly frequently so my overall experience Sucked.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Sequence of events at Approximately 9:30 pm, January 8th, 2019, Flight: United Airlines 818 from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Houston, Texas, USA. During on-boarding, My 68 year old friend was opening closed overhead compartments to find space to stow away her luggage. The flight attendant standing near the bathroom called out to her (in a loud voice) and said something in Spanish. I “assumed” it was to tell her that if a compartment is closed that is because they are full of luggage. My friend continued to walk down the aisle of the plane, and opened more overhead compartments. Why? Because she does not speak Spanish and did not understand what the attendant was telling her. So I proceeded to say to the air hostess, “she does not speak Spanish. So she can’t understand you.” This was the attendant’s response in English, “we use whichever language we can.”

My response was, “this is United Airlines and a flight to the USA, it should therefore have bilingual services.” The humorous factor here is that I am not even an American demanding English! In Canada, we are bilingual. Every service offered is provided with the utmost respect to both our languages in English & French! Flight attendant’s response was to get very close to my physical space with progressively louder tone of voice and start shouting. I don’t recall her exact words this very moment because it is all a blur to me, but the jist of what she said was to try my luck to have it out with her and see what happens. It was a clear and precise threat! I made no eye contact with her and I said, “You are threatening me and making me very uncomfortable. Please step back.” I said it multiple times.

My comments made her more angry. She shouted some more before stepping back to her former station near the bathrooms and yelled, “this is not the United States. We are still in Argentina. We are going to speak Spanish here.” I have travelled to 52 countries and traveled with a zillion airlines in my lifetime. Never once have I experienced any airline host’s unwillingness to communicate in sign language or even broken English or their own language to help travelers understand what they are trying to say. And this woman on United went crazy at my suggestion to switch to English? Why such anger? What happened next was yet more horrifying.

As I sat down and started to settle in my seat, the attendant came over, and tapped on my right shoulder couple of times and said, “... you are not going to get anywhere. You are going to be sitting here the rest of the flight.” Clear and precise vocal and physical threat, violation of my personal space and not to mention clear disrespect. At this point, I got up and headed straight to the main entrance of the flight to find a manager. I was shaking from the threats and disrespectful treatment. A lady serving in first class stopped me and asked what I wanted. She was very nice. I explained and she asked me to wait and called the manager. While I was speaking to the manager, she even offered me a cup of juice. But by then, my hands were shaking and I was in tears to even try anything.

The manager tried to explain, “our clients are Spanish speaking. So we speak in Spanish.” Honestly, I have no issues with anyone even making announcements in Chinese on this plane! I tried to explain to the Manager again what happened and proceeded to even explain to him that I may look like I can speak Spanish, but my ethnic roots are tied back to India. Although it is Bangladesh, I used India so he would understand the proximity at least. I explained this to help him understand that I wasn’t trying to be difficult about not knowing Spanish. I love the language and spent past 3 weeks in South America and really wish I knew how to speak Spanish. I don’t necessarily know if he fully understood the incident. But he said, he apologized for the incident.

I explained to him that I was quite shaken, not looking for an apology but just requesting him to ensure the attendant stayed away from me and that I just want to get home. He asked me who it was, and I pointed her out to him. He then said he will speak to her. The air flight rules and regulations have become more fine tuned over recent times for mutual protection of both travelers and air host/hostesses. However, it seemed here that this individual was very interested in using the rules and regulations to her advantage. United Airlines is not a new company to have this type of unprofessional people released on their airplanes to service their clients. I have documented this incident, emailed a copy to the flight manager on board, and I fully plan to post this in social media. No one should have to experience this type of attacks, disrespect and personal prejudices.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I booked a flight from LAX to San Francisco on December 30th 2018 for Saturday, January 5th 2019 at 6:00 AM. I was on my way to the airport with my husband at 4:00 AM when I received an email saying I had switched my flight to Sunday, January 6th at 6:00 AM. I called right away and they told me I had switched it. I explained to them that I had not switched it and I was on my way to the airport. We went back and forth and they pretended to "help" but they did not do anything for us. We were at the airport from 4 AM to 8:30 AM arguing with the people from United Airlines and on the phone with United. Seriously, it was the most horrible experience we went through. No one cared, no one helped us.

We explained our situation over and over again to different people and they just kept putting us on hold and transferring us around. It ruined our trip and did not end up taking the first trip we had planned for the beginning of the year. It left a bitter taste and we will not travel with United ever again. Of course, we will tell everyone we know about our horrible experience and make sure we avoid a horrible experience for them. Even if you have to pay more, we will never travel with United.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Rude people at the desk. Awful customer service! Flew my daughter out Washington Dulles. I will never fly United Airlines again! Plus $30 for a small single carry on? Since when do you pay for a carry on???

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have been flying United once a month for about 2 years and every flight every time was late. Some were hours late but United only tells you the plane is delayed a little and then later a little more so you never know how late. My plane this morning was 3 hours late but they first say it will be delayed 1 hour then they say 2 and later another hour. I am flying back and the plane has been boarded on time and then it sat and waited for late passengers for 45 minutes despite that all of the on time passengers were boarded on time. And no one at United cares. I would not recommend this airline to anyone.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information