2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.6/5 (1769 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Throughout my long exhausting time at Newark Airport with cancellations by of course Spirit Airlines, I was finally at the final stretch of getting a boarding pass, the machine started blinking red and needed assistance, there’s was only one person at 1:30 pm there and he was useless, he was discriminating because I was not **, I asked for him to look if I was putting the correct information on the kiosk and he said he was busy with someone, however, when a ** girl asked for his help he stop what he was doing and answered all her questions. I was so fortunate to have gotten help from Yoandra, she helped me with everything and was so friendly, everyone should be more like her.

Original review: July 19, 2021

During the peak of the pandemic, both my brothers needed to return to their home country but on separate dates. United Airlines went above and beyond to change the return route for one brother because his original destination no longer accepted inbound international flights. All was done at no extra cost. United also changed the return route for the other brother for a very reasonable fee.

At the time when international airfare cost anywhere from several thousand dollars to over ten thousand dollars, United could have easily charged several thousand dollars more. But they did not. A typical airline ticket would expire in a year. United extended the expiration dates to beyond 1 year for both brothers in consideration of their situations. The brothers did have the option of using the airlines of their home country. However, those airlines do not always honor the ticket terms and conditions as United Airlines does. Those airlines certainly cannot hold a candle to the United Airlines' customer service.

Our family will always use United! I called the United Airlines on my brothers’ behalf each time to change their itineraries (because they couldn’t speak English). Therefore, these are my firsthand experiences regarding the customer service at United Airlines.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2021

This flight on 2/6/21 from Dulles to Dallas Fort Check-in was helped by a very nice lady who ensure none of our bags were overweight and let us shift stuff between bags to balance the weights between bags. That same lady was helping with the boarding process at our gate. United requires all passengers to wear a mask all the time when we were checking in, at the gate and at all times during the trip, except when we are eating or drinking. Boarding was done by rows from back to front, and gate agents announced it beforehand so everyone knows when their turn is coming and there is no rushing towards the gate. Very organized. We always carry some Clorox wipes with us when we're flying that we use to clean the armrests, seatbelt, tray table, screen etc. since we didn't think the airline would provide the wipes. After we board, we were given sanitizing wipes, so we can use that instead of Clorox. Good job, United!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I flew United Airlines when I had to go to Palo Alto VA hospital, it was a nice ride, the only unpleasant experience I had was in San Francisco airport with one of the customer service employees, she was very rude, unprofessional, and had no respect at all for me, I'm a Disabled Veteran and Combat Medic, she treated me about as low as you can get, just because I asked her a question, but everything else was great, the pilots, flight attendants and my flight, both coming back and going there, other than the one bad apple, it was a pleasant experience.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

On our return flight home from Denver, CO back in early December, we had the best customer service anyone could ask for. Here's what happened: out of 6 family members, 3 were scheduled on a direct flight home, while the other 3 were scheduled for a much longer, 1 stop flight home. We really wanted to be on the same flight, in order to be together and get home much quicker. Well, the bible says "you have not because you ask not ..."

So upon arrival at Denver airport on Sunday, Dec. 6, I thought I would at least ask a United Airlines attendant at the ticket counter if something could be worked out to get us all together. She was very polite, got her manager, and to our amazement, they switched our flight to all be together with no questions asked! My wife and I were astounded. It was wonderful customer service by United and we were very grateful and thankful! Thank you, United for your excellent customer service. It makes a difference when you help solve a problem for other people!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I can't believe an established carrier with such a large operation cannot carry out a basic process of booking and issuing a confirmed ticket. I reserved through their website united.com and received the confirmation the same day. After 3 days went to update things like meal preferences and find out my itinerary doesn't even come up. Called them and they are telling that their incompetent Delhi office was unable to confirm the last leg of the journey and summarily cancelled my itinerary and didn't even bother to inform. After spending 1 hr with their useless agent he told me that he can't do anything and I need to call their Delhi office. Wth???? Will never ever use them again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Having the WORST experience with United Airlines! I don't understand how this airline continues to sell same day or next day tixs on supposed full flights & leave customers stranded, waiting on standby for 2 days because they cancelled the flight that we paid for & had confirmed seats on. I get why the flight was cancelled - I don't get why we weren't assigned seats on the next flight with available seats. We could see there were still seats available on multiple flights in the first 24hrs. Absolutely no consideration or compensation for the extra days wait. We'll never fly United again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Flight cancellation, supposed to go to East Coast but put me in a flight to West Coast and then from there to East Coast with 9 hrs lay over, lost 15 hrs of my Sunday, and the customer service agents didn't even bother to say sorry, worst of all the flight attendant took my bag from the cabinet and told me to leave under my seat and gave the cabinet room for smaller bags, Rude. United already delayed my arrival by 15 hrs and cabinet issue on top of this really pushed me to write this review, never flying in United again. United should respect customers' time and money, else customers won't respect you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

We paid for business class upgrade months prior. Flew to Germany without incident. Upon return, denied upgrade and forced to pay $3,200 on same flight for upgrade. Error made by United booking agent and we got screwed. No more United for us!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

United Airlines has terrible customer care. My flight was rerouted to another state supposedly due to weather conditions. We sat on the plane over 6 and half hours. We were then told to deboard the plane and was left stranded. No communication from the Airlines. The Airport in that State was closed. Something they knew but kept us on the plane anyway. We had to sleep in the Airport for 7 more hours.. Still nothing from the Airlines. I had to find a way home.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information