2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 21, 2020

As an older individual I was worried about traveling a 13 hour flight to New Zealand. But I can't express enough how completely satisfied I was with this flight. The trip went by so fast because how comfortable it was. The seats were extremely comfortable with enough room in coach to actually bend down to tie a shoe without bumping my head. The TV monitor was a nice distance away without being in my face and the person in front could actually recline the seat a bit without it being intruding. I could cross my legs and actually sleep. We were given blankets and pillows in coach. Food was great..all in all it was a great trip and better pricing than other airline flying to New Zealand. This 13 hour trip was so much more enjoyable than a very painful 5 hour flight across US on an airline I won't mention.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have flown United over 1000 flights since 2009, reaching their highest "1K" loyalty year after year. The flights attendants' level of courtesy and service skill set vary to a large degree. There is no middle ground, either get an excellent experience or a poor one. The benefits of loyalty elite status are definitely worth going out of the way for, i.e. perhaps you take an extra flight to remain loyal instead of another airline direct flight. Perhaps you make a longer drive from Newark instead of Kennedy.

United's Mileage Plus program is very competitive with others, more based on dollars spent than miles flown (the old way). Let's face it, business travelers like me who have flown before 9/11 realize that travel is stressful and not quite the experience it once was. That's the price we pay for security. I will likely never switch to another Airline. United has done their primary job very well, actually perfectly- flown me back and forth to my destinations- 100% safely.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I was coming home from Chihuahua, Mexico on Flight #UA4105 February 25, 2020. I had a little cooler with Medicines and when I was boarding the Flight attendant offer to keep it at front. Upon arrival in IAH she return it and had to wait for small suitcase. I am almost 70 yrs old and was walking very slow so I was the last one in the concourse. I got on the walkway and at the end I step out and fold down on my knees and hands. The small cooler went one way and my purse and suitcase another one. I look around to see if someone look at me for help.

No one was there so I sat on the floor for few minutes and try to get up and couldn’t when at that time comes the Flight attendant and the Pilot and immediate the Flight attendant told me not to get up and she call for help assistance but couldn’t find anyone. She tried to help me to get up and couldn’t and immediately the Pilot help me. She got my cooler and suitcase and help me to walk all the way to Immigration, then I was on my way to customs when another Flight assistant saw me limping and also help me all the way to pick up my other suitcase and got me a cart and put everything on it. If you have 10 Stars I would happily give them to you. The Flight attendant and Pilot on my Flight #UA 4105 save my day. I can’t Thank them enough. You have the best of the best and I wish I have their name but I don’t. Best Regards.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I wrote our negative experience from New York to Houston so this is my experience from Houston to New York. My experience was much better from Houston to New York. From ORD to ROC my wife was hungry and she asked the flight attendant if she could order food. The attendant said this is a short flight so there isn't any food available. About 10min she came back and asked what we would like that she saw some snacks set up for tomorrow flight. She gave us some snacks for free. Everyone is so nice.

We received earbuds to watch tv, cokes and snacks. The entire crews from Houston to Chicago to New York were very friendly. From our layover from Chicago to New York the flight was late so we had 5min to get to our connecting flight. They crew allowed us and other connecting flights leave the plane before everyone else, so we did not miss our next flight. We ran from terminal b12 to terminal b2 and just made it! Flying is an adventure. All in all the crews were kind, and giving.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Today my wife and I were on our annual pilgrimage from LAX to DIA to visit family when just minutes before take off I realized that my cell phone was not with me. I was 100% sure that I had the phone in my hand just 10 minutes prior, at the gate waiting area where I had just unplugged it from a United cell phone charger. On the way to panic, I waved down one of the flight attendants, told him I lost my cell phone, and crossed my fingers. About 10 minutes later one of the flight crew made an announcement that the flight would take off shortly after they retrieved a lost item from the gate.

Another 10 minutes later the same professional attendant brought me my cell phone with my driver's license and credit cards still inside. How they made it happen, I still do not know. But it was nothing short of a modern day miracle. To all the staff and crew who supported flight # 2293 LAX to DIA, THANK YOU and God Bless you in all your travels. I am indeed grateful for the amazing service you provided today.

Mark **, seat 30 D.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Recently I traveled on United first class. Planes are dirty and old. On my return there was a major delay due to their computers were down. The agent told me they couldn't print paperwork. The pilots needed to take off. I know this is not true because my neighbor is a chief pilot. Due to their problems the agent booked me on flight on American in economy class. Once home contact united and filled out a refund for the difference in ticket cost going from first class to economy. Guess what their response was? I would not be getting any refund period. I guess united needs the money more than my business which is 1K status. Switching airlines. United is rated one of the airlines with delays and cancellations.

Original review: July 28, 2020

First flight was cancelled by United due to Covid. They gave us a voucher. We rebooked a new flight for the same day. Then we got an email stating that portions/legs of our new flight were canceled/unconfirmed. Asked for a refund since they cancelled BOTH flights for this event and we no longer trusted that booking a new flight wouldn't be cancelled as well--we decided to just drive.

Over an hour on the phone with customer service. Two reps hung up on me as soon as I explained the problem (!!!). Nobody would refund us to our credit card because the "second flight was paid for with the travel voucher" so they could "only refund us to a voucher"--when the ONLY reason we used a voucher was because they cancelled our first flight (for which we were entitled to a refund). Horrible customer service and now they are keeping our money for a flight they cancelled twice. We have no intention of flying with them again.

After reading many other similar reviews, I believe they are intentionally pushing out vouchers, and encouraging people to rebook for future flights which they never intend to actually follow through with. Then when they cancel the future flights, the customer is no longer entitled to any refund per their policy because the later flights were booked with travel vouchers. They are taking customers' money and ultimately not providing any service.

Original review: July 22, 2020

Purchased tickets to Roatan in March for my family, which were cancelled by United due to COVID. They gave me travel vouchers, and I rebooked our trip for June. The flights were cheaper in June, so they gave me additional travel vouchers. Then June flights were cancelled as well due to COVID. So I tried again for August. The August tickets were more expensive than in June, and United would not let me use more than one travel voucher per ticket, so I had to pay more cash. Now the August flights have been cancelled by United, and I am being told by United that they cannot refund of my money (almost $5,000) because I used travel vouchers for part of the ticket price. According to the Dept. of Transportation, United is supposed to provide refunds to customers if United cancels its flights. This is highway robbery, and I will not be using United again, and will warn all my friends to avoid them as well.

Original review: July 22, 2020

Worst customer service ever. They give you vouchers and then make it nearly impossible to use. They made me think I was able to use mine only to charge me quadruple the original amount of the flight. Jen (**) a supervisor had the audacity to tell me to "get over it." Not only that, last year a rep was telling me bad words and been very racist. That is the reason why they sent me the vouchers to began with. Only to later do this BS to me. And their solution is to tell me to get over it and only give me back the ** vouchers that I probably won't be able to use again.

Original review: July 1, 2020

We booked a trip to Italy for May. Due to COVID trip was cancelled. After multiple calls to refunds department (over 8 hrs on hold) they have yet to resolve this problem. We received a travel voucher which we did not want. We specifically requested a refund. Now they tell us that they cannot (ie will not) convert it to a refund. If looking for an airline that cares about customer satisfaction look elsewhere. It’s amazing that a company that received millions in bailout money they would treat their patrons so poorly.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information