3.41/5
Based on 2,081 ratings submitted in the last year

2447 United Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

One big thank you to United! My BF and I were late for our flight in Pittsburgh and the agent who checked us in called our gate to let them know we were on our way. He then got us through TSA in 10 minutes when we would have been there for a 1/2 hour, if not longer. He then escorted us all the way to our gate, didn't charge us extra for checking our bags late, and printed our boarding passes! We were amazed! Thank you Pittsburgh!

THEN! When we got to DC we were waiting on our connecting flight to Tampa the agent told us that we didn't have seats together, but to hang tight and he will work some magic. After a few minutes, he called us up to the counter and told us that he did some shuffling around and got us seats together! So you thank you DC! There was a 3 1/2-hour delay when it was supposed to be an hour because there was a leak they were fixing on the plane, but we weren't even worried about that (as long as it was fixed!!). Thanks a bunch, United! You guys rock! :)

Original review: May 19, 2019

United Cares. If there were 10 stars I would give it to United. They got my son on a plane so he was not stuck in the airport overnight. He flew in from Managua on American Airlines and because they had cancelled so many flights he was stuck in DFW. He had a ticket the next morning on United Airlines. He went over to the United Club lounge to wait until they closed and then he was going to go sleep at the gate and wait for his 5:00 am flight.

The agents were not comfortable with him doing this. So Denise and Michelle sprung into action calling the manager Vincent and he put Sebastian on the plane. They went so far as to give another passenger a voucher for the next flight so my son could get home safely. This was the most amazing customer service we have experienced... ever. We are so gracious and will always fly United. I own a pizzeria and can't wait to tell my customers about our experience with this airline. Unprecedented customer care and service by far!!!! We wish we could hug these 3 people. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I live in CA and usually have to fly out of LAX, about 2 hours in light traffic. I got assigned a job in Denver and left out around midnight to the airport to make sure I didn't fall asleep and miss my flight. A headache there as all I could do was sit and wait for ticketing to open at 3:30ish AM. Got to Denver, met with my contact around 1 PM, got back to the Denver airport around 4 PM to wait for my flight out at 10:30 PM (sad face).

When I got to the ticketing counter/bag check area and tried to use my company card on a kiosk, wouldn't work. The most awesome older gentleman, white hair (4 PM 12/6 ticketing/bag check at DEN). I walked away from that desk after he helped me just shocked. For once someone helped out, for no reason but to do it. I wish I got his name, but this one encounter will place United forever in my mind to use. Has never been an airline I've used in the past but will be in the future. Thank you for hiring an excellent representative for your company and generally a good person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: July 15, 2019

Our flight to Austin was delayed by 20 min. due to other flight issues according to staff at United. After boarding the plane we were told to de-board plane because our flight crew (pilot and co-pilot) were fatigued and we had to wait for a new crew. Our 20 min. delay turned into an hour delay. After waiting an hour, United announced the original crew had decided to go ahead and take the flight. Wait were they not FATIGUED an hour ago? What happen? Who is running this company? Better yet what is the flight crew on?

Original review: July 14, 2019

We booked a pet to travel and flight was supposed to leave at 4:30, So I had the pet there at 2:30 and at 10:30 that night they finally called to let us know the flight had been canceled.. We was already in bed for the night so we had to pack our 4 children and drive 1 hour there and 1 hour back. By the time we got there The poor little pet had sat at the airport in a crate for over 10 hours????

Original review: July 12, 2019

I tried booking a flight through United's website having been recommended to their offer which was, if booked and paid for using their United Explorer Mileage Plus Visa card I would receive a statement credit of $250. With this in mind I applied for, and received said card. After receiving it I went onto the United website where I selected a flight and then came to the payment section where I filled out the details from my new card. As I did not see any reference to the statement credit, although there were a couple of boxes requesting any promotion codes, I wondered if I should fill those out, so I called United before hitting submit. The CS rep explained that the $250 statement credit did not need a promotion code as the credit would automatically be applied to the next statement following an initial purchase. I asked if they could confirm that in writing and they transferred me to another department, which was Chase Visa I believe.

The Rep again confirmed that a statement credit would be issued on the first statement and again I asked for written confirmation and was told that they would have to transfer me to a supervisor for that. Supervisor came on the line and told me that the statement credit would not apply to the particular card I had. I drew his attention to the online webpage ads and to the fact that the card as issued looked identical to that shown and that was what I had applied for, but he still refused to honor the offer. Following this I have no confidence in either United or their Chase partners. As far as I am concerned this is fraudulent advertising.

Original review: July 12, 2019

My kids flight was delayed 5 hours. They missed their flight to Germany. They had to spend the night in Washington. United made us pay for the hotel. They refused to pay for it. Plus every time I call to see what they can do for us about switching flight. They put me on hold for 45 minutes, then hang up on me. Horrible service. I’m suing them for sure.

Original review: July 11, 2019

United has been consistently late over the past several months, their service department is dysfunctional and unwilling to help. They laugh at you when you tell them you are going to miss your connection and they will not find you another flight on another most likely better airline.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information