1.31/5

2324 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a block of miles to arrange a trip for multiple passengers in 2018. This trip utilized most, but not all of the miles leaving a balance of about 50k in my account. My plan was to bank them for upgrades and perhaps a future international flight. But when I logged into United MileagePlus this month my balance had been downgraded to zero and United notified me that my miles are now expired and require a $250 fee to "reinstate". I called customer service who directed me to contract fine print. Highly disappointing deceptive tactics and borderline unbelievable that United would essentially steal money like this. I definitely expected more.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Cancelled flights and delays. United rep at O’hare was the rudest woman I’ve ever encountered. We had been stranded at the airport for 2 days on no sleep, absolutely delirious and prior to our encounter, we were in tears. Our 30 minute flight to finally get home was cancelled due to the weather. Instead of offering any help, she suggested we rent a car and drive home. She referenced I need to call “reservation” (I don’t know what that means or what the number is) to get a car. I told her at this point the stupidest most dangerous thing we could do in our state of mind / and no sleep was to be driving period let alone in Chicago traffic. I was polite and basically desperate for any kind of help. She offered none. It was a nightmare experience.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 18, 2019

I flew United in February of this year. I fly a few times a month to Michigan to care for my mom. I signed up for the Mileage plus account figuring it would be beneficial. I noticed that my 4 flights had not yet posted to my MileagePlus account in March. I called today to get them added and was told that because I purchased my ticket thru a third party site (Priceline) I could not get reward miles.. Are you serious?? I then was put on hold for over 30 minutes waiting to talk to a supervisor. This makes no sense. I fly American and they allow me to buy my ticket thru a third party and still get their rewards. I will never fly this airline again! Why should I be penalized for using a third party to purchase a cheaper ticket? This makes no sense?

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Worst airline ever. Lack of communication. My flight got delayed and I ended up missing my connecting flight. Now have to spend the night here at the airport that I don't even know. I can never travel with this airline again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 14, 2019

In my opinion no one should use this airliner. First things first. My flight was canceled due to a blizzard causing a no fly zone. They said they WILL NOT refund me which is illegal. Then when I try to reschedule my flight. They said I can not use my flight credits which I was given personally. Not sure if the airliner itself is doing this or if it is just the United Airlines in Rapid City South Dakota. Either way, I would recommend not flying on it, as they can be really bad.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This airline is horrible. Been waiting for almost 5 hrs because of two screws. Now we are waiting for catering for a 3.5 hour flight. I missed my rental car pick up and will have to stay in a hotel 'cause I have no transportation now. Also missed an appointment. This is the worse flight I have ever taken. Flight 6138 13 March 2019.

Original review: March 10, 2019

First of all, when you book with United hotels you're actually booking with Booking.com or some other outside reservations company. I booked a hotel in Florence, Italy for four nights for two people. Since I'm traveling with my son I wanted to make sure we had two beds. The reservations person said we wouldn't be guaranteed two beds although they would try. So I spent more money and booked a triple room because it said a triple room would have a double bed and one twin bed.

When I received the confirmation, it said I would have one bed. Apparently the reservation said only one person. I called back United immediately and explained there would be two people and since I paid for a triple room we should have at least two beds! They said there was nothing they could do because it was a non-refundable room and a triple room does not mean it's a room for 3 people, even though the site says a triple is a double bed and a twin bed. They said they would put through my request to an "escalation" group, whatever that is.

Two days later I got an email saying they could not change it as the hotel would not allow it. I called the hotel directly in Italy and they told me a triple room means there are up to 3 beds in a room. Thank you! But the reception desk said I had to call the booking department on Monday for the hotel to make a change. Since it was a Sunday I called back United (or rather Booking.com) and see if they could change it since I made the reservation with them and they had my money. the first rep told me he could not change it and had to abide by the escalation people. I asked to speak to a supervisor who repeated the same mantra -that a triple room does not mean a three-person room. She called the hotel which confirmed the room could have up to 3 beds and she said she would change it to at least two beds. She did apologize. I'm waiting for a confirmation. But seriously, who needs all this aggravation??

Original review: March 10, 2019

I was on the flight UA999 on the 7th of March. A orthodox Jewish man asked the steward to find a place next to his friends. The head steward Janson didn't allow even when the steward of the ward showed him a empty seat. I heard the man asking the head steward, "What have I done to you to get this kind of service?" The head went to the door and called assistance and took off the man off the plane. I was shocked to see that in 2019 in the United States this could happened. I asked Janson if we can do anything to get him back. Janson replied, "Shut your mouth as you can be next..." I urgently asked the company to look into this incident and making sure that stewards are compliant with the high standards of service.

Original review: March 9, 2019

We purchased 4 tickets to Japan through United reservations. Actually the call center in Philippines. My wife is from the Philippines so she was able to communicate with the agent very easily and clearly of our intentions and concerns. We followed the agent's directions on which flights to purchase that would give us flexibility in case we only needed the return portion of our daughter's flight in case she didn't need the departure part. Well of course she left early and didn't need the departure part. So when we followed the agent's instructions of course all 3 of the customer in-service agents told us the exact opposite of what the booking agent told us.

We spent nearly $6000 in flights to Japan. Had to pay $200 to cancel daughter's flight altogether and $1000 to book another round trip ticket for her from Japan to the states. In which she won't use the return to Japan portion. When I sent in a complaint about it the customer in-service agent said their agents only give recommendations and it's my responsibility to know United's policies and procedures. Will never fly them again and none of our friends here and in Japan will use them or their partner airlines.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information