1.27/5

2239 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Me and my wife tried to use our miles to purchase 2 tickets from Panama to NYC. My wife and I had to merge our points to purchase the tickets. United charged $975.00 to transfer miles from me to my spouse. We paid more for our tickets using our miles than if paid for the tickets from a travel agent. $975.00 for a mileage transfer fee!!! It is an outrage.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Was making reservations online, but decided to call to see if there was a better price. There was not a better price, so starting having the United Representative make the reservation online, using a $150 voucher/certificate I received from another United mishap a few months ago. As he was doing so, I received a text message from my credit card for the price of the flight, plus another for $25. I asked the rep about the $25, to which he responded "that's what we charge to make the reservation over the phone". I told him to cancel the reservation and I would do it online for free. Had he told me about the $25 in the first place, it would have saved a lot of angst. Wait, it gets better. When I tried to make the reservation online, it said the $150 voucher had been used. Customer Service said it would be 20 days to restore the $150 voucher. The flight was in 4 days. All I got was "I'm sorry sir, there is nothing we can do". Really?

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I fly very frequently and even have a miles credit card from United. Every time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I fly United, I get delayed. I missed my nephew's first birthday party last year because of this incompetent airline. I was so thrilled when I left my originating city this morning and was anticipating being home on time for said nephew's second birthday. I arrived in Denver 20 minutes early only to discover my flight home was delayed 50 minutes due to an "inspection". How many planes does this airline have? They don't have an alternative plane to use as to not inconvenience customers further? I could go on and on about how terrible this airline is, and I should, as I have another hour before we will even be leaving.

I'll be calling the customer service line tomorrow to complain and demand that I be compensated somehow. I kid you not people, every time, without fail, I get screwed over. United is my only choice to fly since my hubby works in a small city in North Dakota and United is the only airline that services the airport there. So irritated and annoyed. If you have the option to fly with someone else, please do.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I was on a United flight this year. Of course, the economy seats are so tight, it is hard for a big man like me (6' 2") to sit in there and keep my legs under the seat. That is why I always get an aisle seat. On this particular flight, my knee was sticking out slightly while I dozed. A male flight attendant was pushing the cart, not pulling it, and jammed it into my leg. Of course I screamed in shock and pain, and the guy said "What did you say?", I repeated "Watch where you're going". He took offence to that. No apology, no asking if I was alright.

He went on to say "I am not going to take this from anybody" and threatened to have me taken off the flight. Of course this escalated the "discussion". Where were all the videos when you want one posted? Ugh! This rant by him went on to the point where I felt so intimidated and threatened that I just kept quiet because this idiot was really going to have the plane stop and have me removed and probably arrested for raising my voice to him. Who treats customers this way? NEVER fly United if you will be treated this way.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I had great experience with United Airlines. They are one of the best Airline companies. I booked a ticket for my wife on a wrong month with a same date (15th November instead of 15th October). I called them to help me out when I realized this on the day before my flight. As the flight was booked for my pregnant wife who would be in trouble if she would have traveled by road for an urgent interview. United listened to my request and took the humanity in consideration. They helped me change the date and we're so nice of a customer support I ever experienced in any airlines. I myself have traveled with United many times and would strongly recommend them for their punctuality and good food and great service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I've never been as frustrated with an airline as I was with United this past weekend. Due to a hydraulic issue, our plane was grounded for five hours. Mechanical failures do happen and, frustrated though I was that the airline didn't just put us onto another plane. (Guys! You have a whole fleet! That's something you should be able to do!) I could've excused this. What I couldn't excuse was the fact that we got THREE updates about the status of the plane during the FIVE hours we were sitting on the tarmac. Every time we were told that we would likely be taking off in 30 minutes and every time that failed to be the case.

When we finally were told to deplane (at 2 AM in the morning) we were told to go wait in ANOTHER line so that TWO customer service agents could attend to all 150 passengers on the plane. SERIOUSLY? Two? That's just pathetic. Not a SINGLE announcement was made about what flight we would be put on or what kind of hotel vouchers, meal vouchers, etc. we were going to qualify for. It felt like you United employees were going out of their way to be unhelpful. I will NEVER - and I do mean never - fly United again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Flight date 10-12-18. Flying from Pittsburg to Houston to Fort Myers. Flight was canceled at the last minute. Rerouted to Chicago OHare was promised my checked bag would be at destination. Arrived at my final destination to find out my luggage was not rerouted. Great service to pay 30.00 for a checked bag and United can’t deliver on promise. United executives need to stop living in Lala land. Your service lacks to be desired. Other airlines do a heck of a lot better than you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I purchased travel insurance for an overseas flight thinking if something comes up I'd be able to change flight dates. Well something did and I had to change return dates, but United didn't honor that. They said it had to be a documentable emergency and I'd have to send proof in. I paid $185 for insurance total for two. To change dates I paid almost $700 dollars. The insurance through Travel Guard Group is an absolute scam. I guess United gets kickbacks from the insurance sale. Almost $1000 extra dollars these people got for nothing. Nothing. Why would anyone get insurance if you aren't able to change dates? What is the point. You're supposed to be protected. Shame on these people. They don't even deserve one star but you have to press one to continue.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The week of Oct 2-5, 2018 was my first business flight on board United Airlines. Coming back on Oct 5th, my connecting flight was delayed 3 hrs due to a 'maintenance inspection' in NJ. After the inspection, we boarded the plane and after waiting 45min, the Captain informed us that we had to exit the plane due to mechanical problems with the right wing and the motor's electrical system. Once we boarded the new plane, the flight attendant announced over the speakerphone that we would all be reimbursed our flight fare due to the major inconvenience. That was a blatant lie! On site customer service personnel indicated that such a statement could not be possible since it is not their company policy. NOTE: If this ever happens to you, ask the flight attendant to repeat the offer on a voice recorder.

I arrived home one day late, United Airline customer service on site personnel were sympathetic to passenger frustration but indicated that the company policy is to only accept complaints through their website feedback portal. I submitted my complaint to United through their feedback form and they offered a $100 e-voucher to use on a subsequent United fare. NO THANKS! It is very concerning to me that a company flying unsafe aircraft cannot be held accountable.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I generally go out of my way to avoid flying with United due to poor service, inability to maintain schedules and all around rudeness of United staff in comparison to other airlines I use. Unfortunately I had to use them for a work trip I didn’t book (mistake) and ended up on a United flight. The flight as per usual was late but this time 5 hours and it was due to not having crews available. I do not work in the industry but it seems to me that if you sell tickets to a flight(s) you would ensure you are crewed up and have a contingency plan in place before accepting everyone’s money or have a refund policy when you fail to meet your end of the agreement. Passengers partially meet theirs. As a precondition we pay upfront and we then schedule and show up on time as per the agreement.

I was curious so I did some figuring on my previous flights and found that in my experience, hopefully I’m not the norm but 80% of my United flights have been delayed. I then compare my experience with the extensive (deserved) negative press United has received over the last few years and I feel fortunate. I wasn’t drug off a plane and physically injured and I’ve traveled with a pet, so never had to deal with a dead pet or a pet that was sent to Hawaii instead of its scheduled destination. Not have been threatened or pushed to the ground by a United employee but I’m not a senior citizen either. I would give them negative stars if it was possible. Hopefully I have had bad luck and am an exception but an easy Google search revealed there are many many people that have similar opinions. In conclusion Two thumbs down to United Airlines.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information