1.73/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 10, 2018

2121 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 10, 2018

Just want to let everyone know that the United Airlines Mileage Plus Hotel Awards program is a SCAM. When you go to the website to reserve a hotel using miles, it is intentionally programmed to NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY MILES ARE ACTUALLY REQUIRED, charge you way more miles than advertised, then charge you additional money on top of the miles. It will say "Special Offer" with the number of miles it is supposed to require at the top the screen, and when you click on "Book Now", it brings you to the lower part of the screen where a "Special Offer" room is listed with several others that are not "Special Offer" rooms.

When you click on the "Special Offer" room, a pop-up screen appears telling you that the room is not available. If you try one of the other rooms, it will take you to another screen where you will see that it charges you more miles along with an additional amount of money that seems to amount to 2 or 3 nights charge for the room. Your best bet is to use the cash option only. At least you get a discount on the nightly rate for the room.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I got that one phone call that no one ever wants to get. I live 2k plus miles away from where I needed to be this weekend to say my final farewell to my beloved uncle. I had purchased mine and my husband's flight 3 weeks ahead of time thinking I'd be able to say goodbye and support my cousins during this hardship. 2 hours before my scheduled flight from Sioux Falls connecting in Denver, I get a text alert stating that my flight had been delayed for another 2 hrs due to weather. Instead, I had my husband call instead just to make sure we still had a connecting flight once we landed in Denver. Come to find out, the 2 hr delay here in Sioux Falls will cause us to miss our connecting flight due to the weather.

Now, I'm no meteorologist but we weren't expecting any kind of snow until Sunday night. Saturday was a bit windy but nothing too much to cause a flight delay. But there would be no available flight until the next day to fly out from Denver to Sacramento. The representative we spoke on the phone with from the "reservations department" since apparently, there's no such thing as a customer service line, found us a red eye that leaves at 6 am the next day. Fine, I'll miss 1 day of service and at least get to attend part of the service on Sunday and burial. Not even an hour later after booking that flight, I get yet another text that it has been delayed another hour. Surprise, surprise!

We called to check again to see what their next excuse is, and it'll be a funny one. THERE'S NO PILOT! But someone can miraculously fly us from Sioux Falls and connect us in Chicago then straight to Sacramento all while not sure if our connecting flight in Chicago will wait for us since we're another hr behind schedule. After 8 hours of trying to find a way to get to my uncle's funeral in CA, we had to officially cancel the whole flight. By the time we land and get to our destination, we would have missed all the services being held and the burial. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in UA. I knew I should have looked elsewhere when I was purchasing my flight when this was the best option with less delay through Expedia. I've always used a different airline and because I did not want to make that 4.5 hr drive to our usual airline, we opt out to fly from our hometown.

Biggest mistake of my life. I not only didn't get to be on this flight or any other flight that was being offered and changed to, but I missed the most important purpose of this flight. I didn't get to say my final farewell to my beloved uncle. I was not able to be there for my cousins on the most heartbreaking day of their lives. Instead, here I am behind a computer screen, reading all the disappointments UA has only given and writing about my experience. I really do hope you're happy with yourselves UA. Your services sucked and so does your "reservations team". I do hope you understand the situations you have put myself and others with similar experiences during this hardship. Not only was my entire trip canceled, so did the reservations I had made and paid for, for a rental I never got to pick up.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 6, 2018

Flight was delayed for maintenance at Sea-Tac airport. They told us it would be about 17 minutes and we would make all connecting flights. Then it was delayed 30 minutes, then an hour before they finally boarded us. They told me I still might make my connecting flight from Denver to OKC, but if not, they would switch my flight to Tulsa which took off 35 minutes later. She said they'd take care of everything mid-air. They told us on the plane there would be CS reps to help us with our connections. It was one guy who simply asked where you were going and he'd direct you to the gate.

I walked 30+ gates away to get to my connecting flight. They didn't have me in the system, and didn't have my luggage transferred. He sent me back to a United customer service desk that turned out to be closed when I got there. He closed the gate, so I couldn't make Tulsa either. So I had to go back 30 gates, stand in line for 2 hours, and be told I wouldn't be able to get to OKC until about 12:30.

I was traveling to attend my mother's funeral which I missed, since it started at 11:00. The sad part was, there were so many people in the customer service line, not just people from our flight. I didn't see this with any other airline as I walked through DIA. Once I finally got through the long line, the lady at the Customer Service desk was friendly and helpful as she could be given the circumstances, but United really blew it and I missed my mother's funeral. Thanks for nothing, United. I will never fly your airline again and will convince as many people as I can to do the same. Of course, with the many, many issues we see with United in the news, I don't expect you'll be in business much longer.

Original review: April 3, 2018

My 18 year old daughter was heading back to school in Eugene Oregon flying from San Diego. The last 4 flights she has had with United have been delayed due to crew running late (which they have lied about, but I researched to confirm it wasn't air traffic as I was told). My daughter has spent 9 hours trying to get from Eugene to San Diego and back. No offers of meals, lodge, etc. In fact they try to put her on flights knowing that she will miss her connection. One time she was stuck in San Francisco. Mind you, this is an 18 year old, perhaps 17 during that trip. This past experience she was at the airport with her check in bag which was weight prior to the flight at 49.7 pounds.

We have airline scales at home due to international trips every few months. The agent told my daughter she we 3-4 pounds over and my daughter said she would remove a small bag that weight probably 5 pounds. The agent she couldn't that there wasn't time. But the agent did tell my daughter she had time to us to confirm she couldn't charge the 125.00. So my daughter called us, then the women processed the credit card payment, all something that took far longer than letting my daughter grab one item from her bag. Which I strongly believe was not over 50 lbs!

The service to young teenagers is awful. They treat them like dirt and take advantage of young kids and older people. I saw this happen to a women in her 90s at San Diego when the agent tried to charge her for an extra bag, that easily would have fit in her other bag. I stepped out of line and helped the women put it in her check in bag. It was a small little bag with a few items. Saving the women 100. Sad that the agent was going to take advantage of this older women, like she is to my daughter. Horrible customer service and just horrible as a human being!!

Original review: April 3, 2018 I scheduled a 5:15 flight to avoid traffic and airport congestion. When I arrived at the airport at 4 a.m. there were huge lines at the United counter. I wasn’t checking a bag but was not allowed to check in online or at a self-serve kiosk. The airline was unstaffed and not able to be efficient keeping the line moving. By the time I got to the window I was told I could not check in and was changed to a flight with a layover that will get me into Denver 10 1/2 hours later than planned.

I’m old enough to remember when United was a quality airline with great customer service. Not sure if it’s mismanagement or greed but that is definitely no longer the case. I asked if I could be compensate for my inconvenience and they flat out said no.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have called customer service and the result of the inquiry was he had no idea of what was going on and no explanation as to why the flight was cancelled stranding passengers in NY. This is typical American business practice, but try to have customer service that can speak English better so people can understand better... perhaps in India they don't know what is going on here in the States.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Love how they make it impossible to change a ticket or allow a credit when the ticket cannot be used. Now, we all know that they overbook flights and someone will be using that seat. That is equivalent to charging rent from one person and the same rent from another for the same unit (illegal in most states). I purchased a ticket for an employee who did not work out for this job. I purchased the ticket with our business card, but they are requiring the employee to contact the airlines to get the refund. I just wanted a credit to apply to another needed ticket, but they would not do so because the ticket was purchased thru CheapOair. Their review is coming next...

Love how they make it impossible to change a ticket or allow a credit when the ticket cannot be used. Now, we all know that they over book flights and someone will be using that seat. That is equivalent to charging rent from one person and the same rent from another for the same unit (illegal in most states...).

I purchased a ticket for an employee who did not work out for this job. I purchased the ticket with our business card, but they are requiring the employee to contact the airlines to get the refund. I just wanted a credit to apply to another needed ticket, but they would not do so because the ticket was purchased thru cheapoair. Their review is coming next.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My sister passed away a couple days ago and my wife and I need to get from Arkansas to California for my sister's funeral services. We don't use credit cards so I put $1,300 in my checking account cash so I could purchase tickets from Expedia. I went online pick my flights and went and put in my credit card information and hit confirm, about 5 seconds later a screen came up and said that my flight have been sold out press here go back and pick another flight. After I did that and hit confirm it said that my credit card information was not good. I rechecked everything and had picked a third flight just to make sure and hit confirm and I got the same ordeal.

I opened a second window on my computer and check my bank account to make sure that the cash is gone through and there is a notice on my account that United Airlines had put a hold on $811.60 from my checking account and I have absolutely no confirmation number, No Reservations, no itinerary, nothing. I called Expedia and they could not find any information at all for me no email, phone number, name, anything. Told me to call United Airlines.

I got the same exact thing from United Airlines. They had no information on me at all. I went down to my bank and went to customer service and there was nothing they could do. The following day we called United Airlines again 45 minutes on the phone after being transferred four times. They told this if there was no action on the account the money would be returned in 24 hours. Well it's been almost 48 hours and the money is still not returned and we don't have the money to get to California to go to my sister's funeral. I will never use Expedia again or United Airlines and we're thinking about getting a lawyer.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I’m not at all surprised by the recent incidents with pets on United. It’s so sad. I use to be a United flyer for years! My whole family flew United. I bragged about them constantly. I flew them a month ago. My service animal (dog) was with me. It was more than apparent when we boarded the flight they were not animal friendly. My dog is well behaved and very well trained. You would have thought I was bring on something toxic. The flight attendant welcomed people in front of me and after me — but not us. You could tell by the look on her face she was not pleased. The male flight attendant was just as friendly to me, which was non-existent. My dog slept the entire flight. Never barked or created any issues whatsoever.

It’s sad to see an airline I was very devoted to, start to turn away their loyal customers because of either lack of training or these “employee owners” really don’t care about their company - at all. I’m not sure if this starts at the top and trickles down or what. But it really is sad. If you have a pet or service animal, there are a couple airlines out there that will welcome you with open arms!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I just read that United Airlines offered $10,000 voucher for someone missing a flight in 2016. My experience was much worse and when I complained they offered me $100. I missed seeing my son after being asked to leave a plane because someone had sneaked onto the plane and they would not remove him rather they stopped me boarding and then basically offered no help at all for a few hours then booked me on a flight through different airports making me 17 hours late. I missed seeing my son who was in the Army and being deployed to another base. Fortunately he was ok and I've seen him since but United Airlines customer service sucks and I vowed never to use this Airline ever again. They simply do not care unless it seems you voice your complaints in the media or Twitter.

Original review: March 21, 2018

On December 30, 2017 I embarked to Milwaukee, WI airport to fly to Palm Springs, CA and enjoy and celebrate a romantic and luxurious vacation my boyfriend had planned for us. It was our first time going to Palm Springs and we did planning for months. I travel every other week around the holidays and had been working extensively on a wardrobe as fashion is my passion and I am both artist and model.

I arrived to catch my flight at 7 am. Things were going smoothly until there was a delay from icing the plane. Wisconsin has ice in the winter. I talked to the attendant and she said the delay would be 30 minutes. I started to get anxious as an hour passed by. Then some people waiting for the flight said another plane had to move out of our spot. Finally we boarded the plane and it was 8:15. Am not taking off until 8:45 am. Over half of the people on the plane had connecting flights within minutes of landing. I was very anxious about missing my own and the flight attendant was out of sorts because everyone on the plane was so upset.

I had never been in this situation before but due to airplane mode I missed texts from my boyfriend saying he had bought a flight that took off from the opposite side of the O’hare airport and to go to United ticket counter. When I went there they had no recollection of the purchase. I was so confused I ran to the flight gate without a ticket and they said they couldn’t let me on the plane. I missed two flights and was so desperate to get out of the airport. I spent 500 dollars to fly into LAX (2.5 hours out of Palm Springs) just to get out of there. It was so stressful I had a panic attack in the airport and I travel frequently. No one from United was helpful at all.

So I booked American to LAX and landed there at 2:15 pm. It was funny because I had no idea where my luggage was. My boyfriend landed in Palm Springs, rented a car, drive to LA and picked me up. We then drove 3 hours back to our destination and went to Palm Springs airport where I was supposed to land and meet him. We went to luggage claims and they said they did not have my luggage but it would hopefully be there in the morning. The man representing United behind the counter then cut us off said he was on the phone with someone and to have a nice night. I was overwhelmed and had to spend 500 on clothes, hygiene products and food just to get by.

The next day we showed back up in the middle of our vacation to the airport to get a different gentleman saying our luggage was not at the airport and then he filed a claim. I got angry and told him how upsetting United is as a company because I have never had this experience with any other airline before. He had an attitude back and was very rude. He then blamed us for not filing a lost luggage claim. We said we didn’t know we were supposed to. He said the man from last night said he told us to. No HE DID NOT.

I ran outside in tears shaking. I couldn’t even celebrate at the fancy party that evening how I wanted because I had nothing. My boyfriend filed the claim and cheered me up by saying they would send the bag to my house before I got home. They were very optimistic about it. So I sucked it up. Finished the trip out somewhat stressed and traumatized but made the best of it. When I got home, no luggage. United sent me a text twice a day for two weeks and then nothing. My boyfriend was on hold for hours each day with them and no one helped us. No one even spoke clear English. After three weeks we heard nothing. For the next two my boyfriend couldn’t even get through.

He finally got information that my baggage had gone from Chicago, to Denver, to Chicago and was not recorded again. They said it probably landed in Palm Springs when we were there but under American so we couldn’t track it. They said since we filed with United they would oversee it and I wish sooo badly we would have filed with American because I know they would have helped more but they could not. Yes we tried.

So then two months later after trying and trying they finally confirmed my bag was lost and they would compensate. I made a list of goods totalling 5,000 dollars in my luggage and they said since I don’t have insurance it will only be covered 3,500 dollars. We will see. It is March 21, 2018 and my refund was supposed to get here two weeks ago but they are delayed. Go figure.

Thanks to this horrific nightmare of an experience with United Airlines on December 30, 2017 from Milwaukee to Palm Springs, I have dealt with severe PTSD reactions when getting on planes or even preparing to travel. I will NEVER check a bag again. I have dealt with severe depression over the goods I lost and the time and memories that are now dust. I have sworn I will NEVER travel United again and this is a full explanation as to why. $3,500 does not even come close to the damage caused in the event I faced.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The reason for my review is the quality of food served during our trip (my wife and myself) from Virginia to LAX to Australia, and vice versa. We have traveled to many destinations first class, and using many airlines. This was our first time on United, first class but the quality of food for our trip, after paying so much money was very disappointing. Our booking experience on this airline was completely different at the end than when we started the trip.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We booked vacation travel to Hawaii through United Airlines (3/04/2018). The first flight was Spokane to San Francisco (UA5319). The second connection flight was San Francisco to Hawaii (UA1175). We arrived in San Fran early but had to park plane and wait due to a delay by United in re-fueling plane already at the gate (as described by Captain of UA5319 a number of times). Over an hour later we moved to the gate, but could not get off plane as there were no United employees at gate to connect to plane (during this hour+ wait, flight attendant kept saying that United was aware of our situation and would take care of re-scheduling all of our connection flights if needed).

When we finally got off plane and ran to our next gate (for flight to Hawaii) we were 3 minutes late for the 9:01 a.m. departure. Though the plane was still at gate, United had already given/sold our tickets and just left us there at gate (so much for United knowing our situation and taking care of us). Further, no one at United's Customer Service knew of our situation and was working on getting us to Hawaii. In fact, they showed only indifference and wouldn't admit to any fault though the Captain of UA5319 repeatedly stated the delays in us getting to the gate were United issues. We then had to wait all day (as we were bumped from standby status on the next United flight to Hawaii) with no help/assistance from United before finally getting on a late flight that day. If United had been responsive at all, they could have put us through LAX for much earlier arrival in Hawaii. They simply didn't care. There is no other way to put it.

Original review: March 17, 2018

‏‏My parents came to visit United States about a month ago, on the first day of February. After a week my grandmother, my mother's mother passed away unfortunately, and my parents had to return to Israel. The travel agent in Israel, together with United Airlines, changed the card together with my sister and said that only 160 dollars would be charged for changing the ticket. We have a recording of the same conversation which explicitly that only 160 dollars will be charged for the change. United actually charged $160 per person but also charged $2500!!! Outrageous amount! My mother's tragedy was not enough. My mother was the eldest of her brothers and had to attend the funeral. On the day of the flight, my parents waited in the field for about 8 hours because the flight was delayed and they didn't make it for the funeral. My mother have the worst day in her life.

‏Not all the sorrow is enough, United Airlines trying to They try to exhaust us. United has been teasing us back and forth for a month, back and forth, back and forth! Every day we talk to them, I am from the United States and my parents, my brother-in-law and my sister from Israel, and again and again they give us various excuses. Once they don't have a recovery department, once the prosecution has not yet arrived, once they don't find us on the computer. We have no doubt that United is trying to exhaust the client without any consideration for the tragedy. On one occasion we were even promised that we would receive an answer within 14 hours and of course we were left unanswered and when we called the next day no one knew about the call at all. We ask for all the money back and I wish the story will be published, because we will definitely never fly back with United.

Original review: March 17, 2018

UPDATE!!! After spending 21 hours in Washington and United did not pay for my hotel, they keep pushing the departure time while the plane is already here! People have been standing up for 15 minutes to board. The attendant says that he does not know when we will board and he will let us know when he finds out. DON’T THE EMPLOYEES COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER??? They estimate departure now at 1 pm instead of 12:45 pm while it’s 12:50 pm and we still didn’t start boarding and the attendant still claims that he does not have any informations. I don’t want to spent more time here. I want to go home!!! I’m tired and hungry! I just want to get home! And the employees act like they are not concerned for customers!

United is the worst company ever! I will not be flighting with you anymore! You’ve lost a client who travels a lot! But I guess you don’t care by the way you treat us! UPDATE. They just send a text 10 minutes after expected departure time to say that we will be leaving at 1:20 pm. It’s 1 pm and still no boarding! How can we depart at 1:20 pm then???

Original review: March 17, 2018

Today, 3/16/18, another passenger and I flew United Airlines from Newark, NJ to Boston, MA was extremely problematic. I had fully boarded the plane and was seated when a man said to the nearby flight attendant that someone was sitting in his seat. The attendant said to me, “I need to see your boarding pass”. Confused, I asked why. She said, “You’re in the wrong seat”, in a rude and urgent tone. I explained to her that I would need to look through my emails to find my original boarding pass. She was rushing me, told me she needed to board all other passengers, and that I needed to hurry up even though she just told me to do this. I showed her my pass from the first leg of the flight. This made her even more on edge and provoked since it was not the right pass. I then found the pass for the current flight and showed it to her.

She condescendingly asking, “And this is for the flight now?”, as she refused to read the pass for herself. I said yes and continued to point to the seats me and my friend were assigned listed on the pass. Without reading the pass at all she pointed to my seat and said, “You’re in the wrong seat. You need to move, you’re in the wrong seat”. She was unfriendly, unrelenting, and very angry at me. A man sitting at the window spoke up and said that he was actually in the wrong seat and it was his fault. The passenger that originally asked for help from to the flight attendant, was at this point, visibly uncomfortable by how the flight attendant was harassing nearby passengers and said it didn’t matter where he sat. He didn’t care anymore.

I ultimately was in the right seat the entire time. However, I was the only passenger the attendant interrogated rudely and angrily. She did not apologize and looked extremely annoyed after this all occurred. Scared that I would be kicked off the plane if I spoke up, I left without receiving any apology from her whatsoever. I felt nervous, uncomfortable, upset, and victimized. Later in the flight, another attendant walked up to my seat. She yelled at me to put my seat fully up, two times in a row. I was shocked because I had never put my seat down in the first place. I looked up at her and she said this to me again while telling me to press the button to put the seat up. I pressed the button and the seat didn’t move at all because it was always fully straight. I said to her, “It is fully up”. She said extremely shortly, “I am allowed to tell you to put it up. That is my job.” Then proceeded to glare at me. I said “That’s fine”. And she rolled her eyes at me.

She did not treat any other passengers on board like this except for me. I felt attacked, treated unfairly, and felt like I could not speak up or I’d be dragged off the plane like other United Airlines passengers have been in the past. In both instances, I cooperated, did nothing wrong in the first place and was severely harassed by multiple flight attendants on board. This was my first time flying with United Airlines and I would never go back. What a terrible end to a great vacation. I want my money back. Do all your flight attendants fiercely interrogate paying customers? Just wondering.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My puppy was purchased from a very reputable breeder and given a clean bill of health from the vet before being put on United Airlines in Oklahoma, sent to Texas and then to Utah. She arrived traumatized on Saturday. Lots of mix ups about where to pick her up so finally she was taken off the plane in Utah after about 45 minutes of waiting. That was Sat afternoon. Took her to the Vet on Monday morning and he let us know she was so traumatized and dehydrated he did not know if he could save her.

She was admitted to the hospital and given fluids intravenously and when we brought her home I had to force feed/water her every 2 hours and give her the meds for days. We were one of the lucky ones, our baby girl survived the neglect of United Airlines. Probably don't hear too many of our stories because we are so grateful to have her alive. I understand 18 out of the 24 that died last year were on United. It never occurred to us to check such a thing but had we known I would rather have driven to OK to pick her up than had her subjected to such treatment and the pain and suffering she did over the next week fighting for her life. United has such a great advertising campaign on Petsafe that you think it will really be safe and that your pet will be cared for.

That is the biggest lie and false advertising there is. When you can't use Petsafe and if you travel with your pet in cabin and they kill them, there is no justification they can use to excuse the action. Saying you are sorry is not enough and nothing else would be either. The pet in those cases is dead and can't be brought back. Like I said we were one of the lucky ones but our baby girl suffered tremendously fighting to live. Not only would I never fly United myself again, I will continue to let as many people as I can know not to trust your beloved pets with these irresponsible people. I don't know the ones who dealt with our little one but when it is known they should be fired, no other questions need to be asked. I have written and asked to be refunded. No response to my first email. I got an automated "we received your email" on the second one but no response as of yet.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I’ve been a Cardmember with United as far back as I can remember, they were decent, even when they merged with Continental, as I had ties to the former executives and chief officers that will remain anonymous. I still consider myself young, and I do fly a lot, but flying with this airline is slowly becoming worse and worse, to the point where I enjoy flying other airlines like Southwest for domestic and other airlines for international flights. The recent story: I was married to my beautiful wife in January of 2018 and we went on some small trips and cruises to celebrate our marriage, but we wanted an ultimate trip. We both have been around the world but never to London, and it would be special for us as it would be our first time. I booked a nonstop flight from Houston to London Heathrow about 6 months in advance.

I don’t use membership points for first class as I find United’s First class very appealing compared to other international lines, so I’m happy with my basic Economy Plus seats and a good movie. The time came for our trip to London, the flight was a 9 PM direct flight and arrive at 11:30 am in London. We promptly arrived at the airport 3 hours early, excited and anxious to have our first official Honeymoon. Luggage was checked in, zipped through precheck and were on our way... well, almost. At 9 PM we started boarding our flight on their older 777-200 plane, getting comfortable and eager to depart, with our luggage just being loaded, when the pilot announces that there’s an maintenance issue, saying it would be a 30 minute fix due to a fuel leak. We all had to get off the plane. Every 30 minutes they claimed they would have it fixed. By 11:00 pm people began to become frustrated.

The airport was empty and everything was closed and we were the last group of people flying out waiting to get on this plane. My wife and I were pretty tired and wanted to get on the plane to fly out and sleep. They kept telling us if worst comes to worst they will swap planes, By 11:30, our flight was compelled CANCELLED. The plane was parked for 8 hours, to realize they had a maintenance issue. We were all very angry. It took us until 3 am to get hotel vouchers and reschedule our flight. My wife was crying and extremely tired and defiantly not feeling well. We were stranded at the airport cause the hotel shuttle didn’t drive out at 3 am. So I had to Uber to the hotel. The hotel was nasty, almost like a Motel 6. My wife cried some more and I was Pissed. We finally went to sleep at 4 am tired, hungry, and smelly due to the refusal of letting us grab our luggage.

Speaking of that, Rescheduling our flight was a daunting task. I tried calling and their support is almost useless and hard to understand, so I had to wait the 5 hours in line to talk to a physical person at customer support (due to 250+ misplaced passengers.). It took 30 minutes to figure out we would have to sit in the last row of the plane. NO WAY. I did not sign up or pay for this service. We almost cancelled the trip because we had to return home in 5 days anyway, cutting our trip to 4. We were finally told and promised in our faces that we would be reseated to economy plus seats, and we could return 2 days later. I agreed to the terms, even though I already lost $400 at our hotel for missing one night. (They don’t reimburse). Our luggage would be at a hold. All my stuff was in there but all they could say was sorry. No one to take the luggage out of the plane.

The next day, since the next flight didn’t fly out till 9 pm, we twiddled our thumbs in the lounge smelling like crap due to no change of clothes. For 8 hours! Since I had so much time I was looking at our reservation over and over realizing that our seats seemed kinda far back to be economy plus. Realized we were still economy even though we were still being charged for upgraded seats! I marched right back to customer support about 3 hours before the flight, having them continually telling me they were plus seats when they very well were not. I demanded a refund but they kept saying they are so they refused. I looked at my bank account and the night before they charged me an ADDITIONAL SEAT UPGRADE CHARGE. I already paid for it long ago. I was angry, I was being fed lies by customer support and the supervisor, and losing over $1000 due to United.

I finally called headquarters, complained that our honeymoon was ruined, and explained every detail that happened. They said, "Sorry. Nothing we can do." I finally mentioned I had former ties and if they could connect me to executive to complain about this terrible service. They put me on hold and I was about to make some other phone calls when they immediately said they were sorry, refunded my upgraded seats and put me in the front of the plane for both legs of the trip. It took me to contact headquarters to complain about this. Sloppy service from United until I made it a HUGE deal. I still didn’t get refunded for my lost travel expenses. And after 3 days I was able to shower and change my clothes. Time to cancel and cut up my membership card, and find another Airline that treats its Loyal customers right. I’m currently in London about to go to bed. Goodnight all, I’m going to finish and enjoy the rest of my Honeymoon.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Worst airline ever!!! If you have another choice please do NOT pick UNITED ever. My two experiences were the same, very unfriendly staff and poor service. Last year I had to fly with my dog to US and I am so glad I did not pick United after recent tragic incident when their brainless flight attendant forced a woman to put her dog in the overhead compartment. I will never fly with UNITED again.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I traveled on United Airlines during April of 2017. I had two secured checked bags. When I arrived at my destination and started unpacking, I discovered that all my jewelry was stolen. It had been placed in the suitcase in so that it was not easy to see. The only way anyone would know that there was jewelry in the suitcase would be if it went through a scanner. There were items amongst the jewelry that was irreplaceable. I had a small silver box with some of my mother's ashes in it.

I filed a report and United reimbursed me $1900 in a check and a $1000 flight voucher. However, the jewelry was worth a lot more than that. I used to work at an airport. There are supposed to be security cameras installed to prevent this type of crime. I am using my flight voucher on another airline. I will never fly United Airlines again. I have been bumped from flights because of the Airline overbooked. Customers should be treated with respect. Their luggage should be protected. The employees at United that stole my jewelry should never have been hired. The purpose of this review is to let future passengers know that flying on United Airlines is not a good idea unless of course, you don't mind your belongings ending up in someone else's hands.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My husband and I flew from Newark to Las Vegas. We purchased the tickets a few months before the flight and I was advised to contact United to inform them of my pet allergies. I called 10 days before the flight and was told that there were no animals booked for either direction. I was then told to call back 24 hours prior to the flight as there were a few available seats and the pet policy requires 48 hour prior notification. I called back and was offered a seat in the pet-free area (for $200 more each direction) which I declined as there were no pets booked and we were in the home stretch, the 48 hour notification deadline. I was told to notify the gate agent on arrival. At the airport my bag was pulled for inspection as they x-rayed my book and checked my EpiPen.

When we finally arrived I let the agent at the gate know about my allergies and was informed that he didn’t know if there were any animals on the flight. He told me that it was policy to book anyone with allergies on the next available flight if there were pets aboard. I asked if the next flight had any pets booked as my husband tried desperately to pull me away but not before I heard the agent reply that he didn’t know. He did know that my husband and I would be seated in separate rows, 15 rows difference to be exact. We boarded the plane and on ascent, I began giving my seatmate some serious side-eye to see if she was covered in cat hair as I scratch my hives and wave away pet fur. Took 2 ** and started hitting the bottle, of eye drops that is. Hour four, two more ** (that’s four if you’re counting) and a full bladder.

I stand up to use the restroom and peer over the seat directly in front of me and that’s when I see a stressed out, full shed-mode, Pomeranian sitting on his owner's lap. He pants as his owner strokes his fur creating the snow globe from hell. Who knew sitting 15 rows away from your husband would come in handy. I passed the baton (bottle of pills cause he’s allergic to dogs too) and ran to the critter free zone. To be fair, I am an animal lover but, the pet policies have to be addressed. I’m not the only allergy sufferer and you’ll have a hard time convincing me that this particular dog was a seeing eye dog, a seizure dog, a PTSD pooch or anything but the fluffy family pet. I followed the airline's rules and look where it got me, the runaround and a trip to urgent care for a sinus infection.

Original review: March 12, 2018

First flight was delayed for overbooking in Newark, NJ. They managed to get us there on time after causing much worry about folks missing their flights. The first aircraft was old, much too small, and very well used. Second flight from NJ to Florida was delayed due to the aircraft being delayed. Checked the status on the aircraft scheduled for our flight and it arrived EARLY. There was no explanation of the wait. To top it off United is redoing this gate and provided no seating for passengers during the extended wait. No reason for this second delay yet we are leaving much later than anticipated. Worst flight experience to date. No wonder their ratings are as awful as they are, customer experience is at the bottom of their to do list. Will certainly never fly United again and will be telling everyone of this experience to save them pain and stress.

Original review: March 10, 2018

While in Puerto Vallarta in December 2017 I called and asked to change my return flight to two days earlier. The agent told me the fee would be $200.00 per ticket for my wife and I each and I said fine. Then next month on my Capital One credit card there appeared a charge for an additional almost $700.00 per ticket in addition to the $200.00 per ticket I authorized. I wrote to Capital One and explained in detail that I did not authorize the charges, I was not informed of the additional charges and I did not know about them but Capital One did not back me up and allowed United Airlines to charge the card. I will never fly with United Airlines again and I have cut up my Capital One cards and I am changing my credit card to Chase.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I wish that I can give them negative star. Their offshore call center (1800 864 8331) does not even deserve one star. I called them to change my flight. It took me more than half hours to speak with a real person. Finally a lady with terrible attitude answered my phone. I had to repeat several times to let her get my reservation number. In addition, before I talked with CSR, I selected the option to give customer survey after the call. But after my conversation with the CSR, the phone was cut off completely. I guess that they just provide bad service and don't want to get any customer feedback.

Original review: March 9, 2018

On arriving home at YYC on a layover flight from IAH my wife's walker was given back to us in damaged condition. Needless to say as it was only 7 months old she was quite upset. We filled out a damaged report with United, 2 days later we were asked to send pictures of damage and a copy of the bill of sale. United reply back, authorized us to buy a new walker and send in proof of purchase. After doing so, we didn’t hear back if proof had been received and if claim was being processed?

Panicking a bit we tried to get a hold of someone by phone, not an easy process these days, finally we ended up with the Assisted Device Desk in Houston. There a Gentleman by the name of Freddy talked to my wife (Moe) hearing the stress in her voice, his professionalism & compassion came through to her, assuring that he would look into it. While on the phone he must have had someone check with the Calgary office, finding out that the claim had been processed & sent off for payment. Going the extra mile, Freddy stated that he would follow up on it to make sure it was handled. Payment has been received, a little less than a month after claim was put in. All in all a stressful situation at the time, where blame for damage is impossible to assign, another employee (Freddy) for United turned it into a positive feeling.

Original review: March 3, 2018

This is in reference to United Airlines and my flight to Israel. I wrote/called United to make sure ALL my flights get credited to my MileagePlus Account for ALL THE MILES I FLEW on my last trip. (Waiting to see if that ever happens.) I was traveling to TLV from LA - through Newark, NJ. The flight at NJ was canceled. No hotel room, no blanket, no pillow, no nothing as I spent the night in the terminal on a cold chair. Reason for cancellation? They said we had NO PILOT!! In the morning I, through no effort from United Airlines, secured a flight to TLV via SAN FRANCISCO. (It was either that or wait 3 days for another flight!!) Horrible experience! I traveled back across the US to San Francisco!!! No "I'm sorry", no "Let me help".

I want to make sure ALL THESE FLIGHTS ARE CREDITED TO ME. Going home on 2/28/18 from Tel Aviv, I was REROUTED to Newark again, stayed on the tarmac for nearly an hour, (because we needed another pilot) then flew to San Francisco with no food service whatsoever. Horrible flight. ALSO, I PAID FOR UPGRADED SEATS TO AND FROM TEL AVIV going both ways, and only received the upgrade on the way home. Going to Israel, I had a middle seat in coach!! I request a refund for my paid seat and compensation for the canceled flight. Will I get it?

This is the worst service I have ever had on an airline. I am most distressed. I called United 3/2/18 and spoke with Liza who told me I did not have my MileagePlus number in the flight info. NOT TRUE! I called prior to make sure the MileagePlus numbers were listed when I upgraded the seats to the tune of $876.00!!! I will do everything NOT to fly United again. Horrible customer service, rude, indifferent, and condescending. All in all I spent literally over 2 days flying around to airports I should not have even seen.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I was recently traveling with my sister. Our tickets were booked back in a December and were quite pricey. We were looking at availability to change our flights from MIA to BOS by way of Newark. We each glanced online at options on our real nice smartphones. There was an option flying through Chicago on to Boston for an earlier time. We were interested but it only seemed available to one passenger, so we decided to call. When we did call, it seems that the airline separated our reservations and I was now on that a flight to Chicago and on to Boston. I did not choose that option, merely looked at it online, didn't select or confirm the change or agree to any charges. It's a good thing we're calling to make inquiry, or I'd never even have known they unilaterally made this change for me! I'm an attorney; I read for a living and am very computer and web savvy. I know I didn't choose the flight change.

Also, I never received any email or text confirmation of the change or the new reservation number. When we made this discovery, we asked them to change me back to my original flight--we were told I'd have to pay $374!!! Wow. Not cool. We hung up and called again, hoping to get someone else to fix this PROPERLY. When we reached another rep, Andy, he was very helpful. He seemed to acknowledge there was a glitch on their end, as I was never charged for the flight change. He also put me back on my original flight so my sister and I could travel together. Free of charge.

Unfortunately, however, my original seats had been taken by someone else. And on the first leg of my trip, I had to sit in the back corner of the plane. You know--the last row where the seat doesn't recline, you get served last and get to smell the bathroom all flight long? Ick. I appreciated Andy's help in rectifying, and praised him to his supervisor. But this never should have happened. Beware looking online for flight change options. They may be imposed on you without your knowledge!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I booked a multiple airline ticket R/T from MSP-AUK connecting in SFO. I flew Alaska on the first and last leg to/from SFO. On the way to Auckland, I flew Air New Zealand. I checked 2 bags with no fee. I have nothing better to say with all aspects on these segments with service and reasonable policies. From AUK-SFO, I flew United. Right away, they charged me $150 for the second bag. No other airline I’ve flown (Delta, Virgin Australia, and now Air New Zealand) charges for a second bag from the states to either Australia or New Zealand. In addition to that, I felt the flight attendant staff was less than friendly. I remember what I consider condescending to another passenger for their phone plugged into the USB for takeoff without explaining why as likely they didn’t see the reason as USB ports are not been common on domestic flights.

Water was not consistently served on the 12 hour flight. United’s personal entertainment on the 777 lagged to what Air New Zealand’s 777 had to offer. There was no music except in the form of a video where you had to scroll through to see what is present. Air New Zealand had multiple artists to listen to on demand. United didn’t charge for wine and some beers, but quickly ran out of wine and the beer selection was not consistent to their flight guide. Also they ran out of food options where my Muslim friend could not eat due to pork restrictions. For a partner airline, United came up short for reasonability, service, and value. If they are a partner airline to Air New Zealand, I would expect at least your baggage policies would be aligned. Up to 2 stars on Value for what I thought was great pilots.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

My husband just sent me a picture from his connection flight from Chicago to Cincinnati on aircraft A320. His knees are so far into the seat in front of him, it’s absolutely ridiculous. This has to be illegal, extremely unsafe, immoral, uncomfortable... It’s just awful. We will never fly with United again unless you change your seat spacing. Sadly, many airlines now are eliminating the space in between seats to make more money. It’s incredibly awful and discouraging for us who want to fly in the future.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

United is continuing to do everything it can to ensure that the public knows just how bad an airline it is. On 1/30/18, we went to check in for our return flight from Rio de Janeiro on their partner airline, Azul. The flight had been booked and confirmed more than three months prior. The flight was also booked with United award miles on United’s site; the first leg of the return flight occurring on Azul airlines and the second on Avianca. There were two travelers on the same confirmed reservation but upon check-in, Azul couldn’t find the second traveler’s reservation even when presented with the email confirmation containing the ticket number. We were forced to purchase another ticket for this leg of the flight or we would have missed the flight entirely.

The odd thing is that the second leg of the flight was fine; Avianca had the reservation and everything continued normally thereafter. Once home, I presented United with a refund request, which they denied. They claimed since the ticket was non-refundable, that I am not entitled to a refund and they patronizingly apologized, “if there was any confusion (by me) when purchasing your ticket or reviewing your receipt”. It continued on to state (in poorly written English) that there are general rules that apply to all tickets, all of which don’t pertain to the fact that United screwed up the reservation which forced me to buy a second ticket. They totally glossed over the fact that somewhere in either United’s computer system, Star Alliance’s system, or in Azul’s system, something failed.

It’s as though the rep assigned to the request didn’t even read it. The bottom line is we had to purchase an additional ticket because of an error that was not ours and United is refusing to refund the additional ticket cost. They were “kind” enough to present me with a $75 voucher for a future flight to be taken within a year. Even worse than the denial of the refund request is that no one has cared to tell me what happened although I asked several times. I have no trust in United and don’t plan to be stranded somewhere by them again.

I have the United Mileage Plus Explorer credit card from Chase. I am going to cancel this card shortly. Chase has been good but I don’t plan to fly United again and therefore won’t need the credit card. I wish I could sell my remaining award miles to someone as I don’t want to use them. If you like being left stranded and no one at the airline taking responsibility, then United should be your choice of airline.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information