2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.24/5
Based on 2,063 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Today my wife and I were on our annual pilgrimage from LAX to DIA to visit family when just minutes before take off I realized that my cell phone was not with me. I was 100% sure that I had the phone in my hand just 10 minutes prior, at the gate waiting area where I had just unplugged it from a United cell phone charger. On the way to panic, I waved down one of the flight attendants, told him I lost my cell phone, and crossed my fingers. About 10 minutes later one of the flight crew made an announcement that the flight would take off shortly after they retrieved a lost item from the gate.

Another 10 minutes later the same professional attendant brought me my cell phone with my driver's license and credit cards still inside. How they made it happen, I still do not know. But it was nothing short of a modern day miracle. To all the staff and crew who supported flight # 2293 LAX to DIA, THANK YOU and God Bless you in all your travels. I am indeed grateful for the amazing service you provided today.

Mark **, seat 30 D.

Original review: July 10, 2019

One big thank you to United! My BF and I were late for our flight in Pittsburgh and the agent who checked us in called our gate to let them know we were on our way. He then got us through TSA in 10 minutes when we would have been there for a 1/2 hour, if not longer. He then escorted us all the way to our gate, didn't charge us extra for checking our bags late, and printed our boarding passes! We were amazed! Thank you Pittsburgh!

THEN! When we got to DC we were waiting on our connecting flight to Tampa the agent told us that we didn't have seats together, but to hang tight and he will work some magic. After a few minutes, he called us up to the counter and told us that he did some shuffling around and got us seats together! So you thank you DC! There was a 3 1/2-hour delay when it was supposed to be an hour because there was a leak they were fixing on the plane, but we weren't even worried about that (as long as it was fixed!!). Thanks a bunch, United! You guys rock! :)

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

United Cares. If there were 10 stars I would give it to United. They got my son on a plane so he was not stuck in the airport overnight. He flew in from Managua on American Airlines and because they had cancelled so many flights he was stuck in DFW. He had a ticket the next morning on United Airlines. He went over to the United Club lounge to wait until they closed and then he was going to go sleep at the gate and wait for his 5:00 am flight.

The agents were not comfortable with him doing this. So Denise and Michelle sprung into action calling the manager Vincent and he put Sebastian on the plane. They went so far as to give another passenger a voucher for the next flight so my son could get home safely. This was the most amazing customer service we have experienced... ever. We are so gracious and will always fly United. I own a pizzeria and can't wait to tell my customers about our experience with this airline. Unprecedented customer care and service by far!!!! We wish we could hug these 3 people. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

My minor son and I had to use United Airlines to attend my Mother's Funeral over Labor Day weekend. We arrived at our destination ok, but the return on Labor Day (and the events that followed) was a nightmare(s)! We boarded the plane at 5:30am, and had already returned the rental car keys in the receptacle (the rental car counter was not available because of the holiday).

Mechanical damage to the aircraft was found after boarding. Everyone had to deplane. No other flight was available from that airport until the next day. United was unable to provide any ground transportation, and rental cars weren't available that day because of the holiday. We secured an Uber to another airport, and would have have fly home with another airline. United personnel at the airport had no petty cash, nor were they able to pay the Uber in any way; we were told that we should get in touch with United when we arrived home to get reimbursement for the Uber, and also the flight that was cancelled.

After initially contacting United by phone, I was directed to submit a claim through their internet system. Since then, I have tried to phone them hundreds of times. Most of the times I was unable to understand their representative because of their thick foreign accent; when I asked to be transferred to an English speaking representative, I was told that they could not; and I had to call back. When I finally was able to talk to a English speaking representative, I was put on hold for nearly an hour each time, with the representative telling me that they would look into the matter. After four and a half months of this and 1/2 of the Uber reimbursement sent to me, I was told today that they can do no more for me. The reimbursement was all that they could give to me. At this point I am madder than a wet hen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Recently my wife & I were returning to the U.S. from a lengthy trip to Egypt. The flt. was UA689 from IAD-MCO on 1/2/20. Two flight attendants on the plane were Andrea ** & Derik **. Ms. ** noticed I was a disabled vet & both she & Derik went out of their way to not only help me, in every way, but also wanted to know how I was wounded in Vietnam & received the Purple Heart. Many of my brothers were not treated as well when we returned home almost 50 years ago. Employees of this nature certainly allow people to think well & use United Airlines. My wife & I extend our thank you again to Andrea & Derik.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

United Customer Service is like talking to a brick wall. All the representatives want to do is all the talking. Not listening to the customer. What a big waste of time calling their customer service. Really not worth the stress. Make me not want to book a ticket with this Airline. Whomever the CEO is at United Really needs to hear this. Fix your damn customer service Like Now.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

United keeps disappointing. The last flights were on were at least 1 hour late and some up to 4 hours late even when flying international. It’s bad enough to have to fly for 14 hours but then to have a flight delay of over 2 hours is unacceptable. They need to improve their service or more people will be looking at other airlines to fly.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Beware, United will unscrupulously try to manipulate you to pay $25 + handling fee. At the time you do the 24 hour pre-board online check-in to get your boarding pass, they abruptly notify you that you won't be allowed to pre-board unless you buy a $25 carry on + fees!!!! So YOU HAVE TO STAND IN LINE TO CHECK-IN EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO LUGGAGE). So I have to come early to the airport and stand in line for no reason!!!! That is total manipulation. They should have indicated that at the time you bought the ticket. So consumer, add $25 to the fee when you comparison shopping! Next time, I will pay more and go elsewhere rather than give them my business. I am pro free-market, but not without transparency or manipulative market practices!

Not sure about United Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information