3.3/5 (562 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I purchased regular economy international airfare. I found the flight on Google flights but made the transaction on united.com. I knew I'd have a bag and as a solo traveler I wanted to guarantee that I wouldn't have the middle seat. I also needed to be able to change my flight because I am hitting other countries on my trip. I triple checked that it wasn't basic economy. It was pretty clear to me -- after all, it was letting me select my seats for no further cost. A few days later I went to manage my reservation. It now said it was basic economy. WHAT? I spent an hour on the phone trying to get this resolved. They blamed it on a possible "glitch" but how is your technical problem my issue? A supervisor refunded me in the end thank god but how is this ok?

I went through the steps of buying a basic economy ticket to make sure I wasn't crazy -- you have to check a box and there are warnings, and separate charges for seats and bags! This was not my experience at all so it is clear that my ticket was absolutely not basic economy. I won't ever fly with them internationally. I can't trust them. They wouldn't upgrade my ticket to regular economy which, again, I already paid for, and were trying to charge me $200 to so. I am used to poor service and low quality these days, but this was shockingly egregious. I actually feel defrauded. I think they must have known they messed up if they ultimately refunded me (although that still remains to be seen, as it has to undergo separate processing. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to spend yet another hour on the phone with them over that). Actually sickened.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

United Airlines has been and continues to be a bottom-tier airline. Mismanagement, poor aircraft, mediocre standards, and an overall impression of a company who does not care about their customers or employees. If you are looking for value, Spirit and Frontier offer the same quality flight with lower costs. United Airlines has missed the mark year over year.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

I was 3 hours late arriving from Omaha on Thursday, flight 1177. I had 25 minutes to make my connection to Santiago, Chile. Not only did I make it, my bag made it. Thank you to all the ground services employees in Houston. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

We purchased our tickets six months in advance. They changed our flights 3 times in the last month before our trip. The customer service rep who called me each time basically told me I couldn't get flights either to or from our destination. I spent countless hours on the phone with them. I had to be the one to suggest potential airports near by. They had no idea where any airports where. They had us changing planes three times or more. Ultimately we were stranded 3 hours from home and had to find our own way home. They only offered food and hotel vouchers for a city that everything was already closed or full. Their flights had apparently been canceled more than once as we couldn't find a hotel or a rental car. If we weren't going to wait until the next afternoon for a flight it took three hours to get our luggage.

I have flown quite a bit with other airlines and have never been treated so awful and dismissed so quickly. Not one time have they responded to my email, comments on the website. No attempt to correct or compensate us for all of the charges and canceled flights have ever been made. If you have any other options for your flights please use those options. They are more than happy to take your money, however you are completely at their mercy if anything goes wrong and they are going to do the very bare minimum to help you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I'm going to summarize because I don't even want to waste my time explaining what this people did to me. This was a connection flight and because of their fault my first flight delayed and I had to rush to be able to board on my connection flight. I paid extra to bring my carry on with on the overhead bin because I had bought some cholate eggs for my son and wife and I was bringing some fragile souvenirs with on my carry on. First thing they forced me to check my carry on bag saying that there was no available space for it.

I was also bringing my guitar with me which I was able to bring between my legs on the first United flight from Brazil to Houston with no issues but on the connection flight they forced me to put my guitar on the overhead bin(there was no space on the overhead bin according to them, right?) I said I wanted to bring my carry on with my like I did on the other flight because I was afraid that it would break. To summarize the story, they treated me like a criminal, called security to kick out of the plane.

After they forced e to leave the plain I talked to the manager which was another racist that basically treated me like they were doing a favor to let me fly. I was never so humiliated in my whole life. I work hard in this country, pay a lot in taxes, follow the rules paid a lot for that ticket and they treated me like they were doing me a favor. After I got home, obviously all my souvenirs and chocolate eggs were complete broken into pieces. Also, coincidently my luggage was open by the security and they broke all the rest of the chocolate that I had on it. This company NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

United Airlines canceled my flight because a first-class passenger used a profanity that insulted the flight attendant. The 80+ year old woman apparently was then asked to de-board and when she refused, they pulled everyone off the plane only to cancel the flight 5 hours later because the airline could not get its act together. In those 5 hours, United was "kind" enough to provide drinks and sandwiches to about half the passengers, but they could not produce enough for everyone. The food and sandwiches also were not distributed until 3 and half hours later. In other words, United is bad as Southwest. They simply avoided the bad press over Christmas weekend because Southwest dominated the headlines. But don't fool yourself, United and Southwest are two peas in the same pod. You honestly should not fly United if you think Southwest is bad.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

United Airlines cares 0% about customer experience and customer service. After a few years of loyalty, I will no longer fly with United. Just horrible experience in a business class on Polaris to Europe.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

I have flown well over a million miles with United and have had 1K status for many years. Before the pandemic I had 120 plus points canceled since there is a 1 year time limit on them. You can use these points to upgrade which rarely happens. I have another 80 points due to be canceled this month and reached out to see if I could extend the expiration to no avail!

I traveled over 100K miles last year with United and tried to upgrade using these points but was never able to for whatever reason which is solely in United's control. What is the point of having this so-called benefit, if United controls it and there is an expiration date on it? I do get pre-boarding benefits which is last in a long list of other pre-boarding groups. I do get complimentary economy plus seating which is a smidgen better than economy but for international trips they are not very comfortable either.

The ground staff is not very pleasant and crew on the plane treat passengers like cattle compared to other international airlines where service is much better, and quality of the food and entertainment is better. Unfortunately, I am vested and switching gears this late in the game doesn't make sense; if another airline offered to take my status and points and such over I would without hesitation switch and be loyal to them as I have been to United. If you do not have any status with United, does not make much sense to travel with them unless circumstances warrant it. Hope this helps someone.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

Purchased ticket for my toddler and her father for an early flight. They arrived in time to check-in and get to their gate, but the employee signature of SAT-PD-QK decided they could not board because they were not there 45 minutes prior to boarding time. Their flight was at 0715. He spoke to her at around 0635. Plenty of time to get checked in and to the gate. She said it was their policy. Checked United website. No policy clearly states this. No statement in the email confirmation. Went through the process of purchasing another ticket and no prompt or or notice saying stating this apparent policy of United's minimum time. Called customer service. No help there. They said I could either be refunded and they lose their seat or I can keep them on the later flight. The supervisor with employee number: ** also tried to navigate me through United site by searching, then ctrl+f'ing words to find some wording. Nothing on the site that clearly states this policy.

Shame on you United. Shame on you for treating customers as pieces of crap just BECAUSE YOU CAN! Hope you all are happy with your loved ones close by and enjoying the new year. While other HUMAN BEINGS are treated this way.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

Booked a trip home to the US from Japan today to visit family. Had an issue with the United app letting me use my miles for car rental. Called customer service and was immediately told they don’t help with that and given a number to call that doesn’t work. Called back and transferred and told to call that same non-working number 4 times before someone finally helped me. The original booking was $963 and once I booked the exact same car with miles, it was 100,000 miles plus $765!!! How is $1000 worth of miles equating to just $100 when a car is booked? I spent 3 hours on the phone getting the runaround just to cancel my car rental altogether and book with a different travel agency for the same car and same car rental company and it only cost $636!

This year alone, United has left me stranded twice in SFO without the ability to get me to my final destination after selling me tickets and claiming unforeseen delays or issues with staffing, promised to reimburse me for the cost of new tickets, accommodation changes and rental car when I had to drive myself from SFO to Reno after flying in from Japan and being up for 23 hours! And when I followed their instructions to get the reimbursement, I was told they only reimburse for the cancelled leg of the flight and they gave me $127. My seat upgrades for both passengers for that leg were $122! When has anyone ever gotten two round trip tickets from sfo to rno for $5?

I missed my mother’s funeral, missed 4 days of work on the return flight when they announced a flight delay every hour for 24 hours only to find out it was canceled due to employees not coming to work. Then they charged me for the change of ticket to 2 days later when they had staffing available for the flight. I have always had great service on my international flights from the cabin attendants but NEVER from the customer service. They don’t even know how to help with their own website, credit card, mileage accounts or products! I am so incredibly frustrated that this occurs every single time I fly that this is the last straw for me. I will switch airlines. I don’t even care if I never use the miles I have accumulated. They have cost me close to 10k this year in travel changes due to their own error and that’s absolutely unacceptable.

100% of the flights taken in 2022 have left us with a missed connection and no reasonable resolution up to and including trying to make us stay in sfo for more than 24 hours to get on a new plane to Reno when it is a 3 1/2 hour drive away. I’m so exhausted with rude and dismissive customer service people and finger pointing, I assure you it is not my fault I am stuck because you no longer have a connection for me and mine was cancel while I was somewhere over the pacific, and lost $ and missed funeral and missed work and lost vacation days and lack of care of people. We are people, not dollar signs or inanimate cargo. You are the absolute worst airline on the planet. I can’t imagine your CEO is proud of legacy he is creating. What a shame. It should be illegal to steal like this from people. Don’t fly United. Just pay more elsewhere and consider it an investment in your peace of mind and in yourself.

United Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information