3.41/5
Based on 1,906 ratings submitted in the last year

2391 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2019

United Cares. If there were 10 stars I would give it to United. They got my son on a plane so he was not stuck in the airport overnight. He flew in from Managua on American Airlines and because they had cancelled so many flights he was stuck in DFW. He had a ticket the next morning on United Airlines. He went over to the United Club lounge to wait until they closed and then he was going to go sleep at the gate and wait for his 5:00 am flight.

The agents were not comfortable with him doing this. So Denise and Michelle sprung into action calling the manager Vincent and he put Sebastian on the plane. They went so far as to give another passenger a voucher for the next flight so my son could get home safely. This was the most amazing customer service we have experienced... ever. We are so gracious and will always fly United. I own a pizzeria and can't wait to tell my customers about our experience with this airline. Unprecedented customer care and service by far!!!! We wish we could hug these 3 people. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am a first time flyer alone so I have had an abundant amount of stress the past few days. My original flight was to leave Wednesday, March 13th and return March 18th. I have had my flight delayed twice now to a connecting flight in Denver, CO to my destination Great Falls, MT. Once was due to blizzard conditions which cannot be helped by the airlines. I spoke to a very kind rep early Wednesday morning to get my flight rescheduled; sadly, I did not catch her name. She was very kind, helpful, and apologetic of my situation, despite it not being her fault nor the airlines. She was able to move my departure flight out a day as well as the return flight out to my original 5 day stay in Montana without any additional charges.

Come Thursday my Memphis flight to Denver, CO was delayed out 2 hours and would not be leaving Memphis until 6:50 PM where my connecting flight in Denver, CO would take off at 7:00 PM. I spoke with Deshonda in person at the Memphis airport who was unbelievably sweet and understanding of my circumstances. She searched all the flights available for me and was able to book my new flight for today, Friday for the same schedule out at 4:20 PM. As she was only able to book my departure flight, I needed to call again for pushing out my return flight.

I called late Thursday evening and was on hold for an hour. I finally reached another rep around 8:45 PM. Her name sounded like Chella, but it was difficult to hear through the static of our phone connection. She was able to push my return flight out to Wednesday, keeping my 5-day apart flights in under 7 minutes of assistance, again with no additional charges.

All my rep experiences have been wonderful and such a relief of stress, given the circumstances. I am upset with the number of delays but due to winter conditions, there is nothing else to do. I am extremely appreciative of each of these reps' time, help, and kindness during my frantic panicked state. I know from the back end this is a very demanding position for each of these ladies dealing with many upset people all while trying to meet each person’s needs to the best of their ability as well as the airline's schedule to their desired destination. I understand how difficult it can be to be kind to people who are only giving you grief. Their simple acts of kindness greatly reduced my stress and anxieties and I am extremely appreciate to have spoken with these three individuals who kept a calm, level head assisted me in my time of need.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I flew with UA on Feb. 24 from Beijing to RDU, and back again on March 6, 2019. On both trips, I found the service by ticketing agents as well as onboard staff to be courteous and on point. Overall I have to say everything was as perfect as could be expected for an economy class ticket. On the flight to RDU, the plane was a brand new aircraft and simply wonderful inside with electric outlets for ALL seats. (The Boeing 777 on the flight back only had electric outlets between seats, so each 3-seat row only had 2 outlets.)

In a perfect world the seats would be larger and/or more comfortable. Again however you get what you pay for in regards to economy, economy plus, business... etc. Honestly it wasn't all that bad even on a 14 hour flight to/from Beijing. The obvious "trick" is to get on board expecting beforehand a small seat rather than a throne.

I found the cabin crew throughout to be on point and prompt with any requests made. I probably shouldn't say it, but I wasn't charged for 2 bottles of Bacardi on BOTH long flights (4 total). It seemed the cabin crew willfully decided to give me free booze even while reaching for my credit card. The only small thing I might have negative to say was that as other dirty passengers left/threw/dropped their napkins/plastic this or that in the aisles, the cabin crew walked past it over the course of the whole flight rather than pick up debris from the aisle. I live in S. Korea and fly quite regularly back and forth to the US. I honestly can't remember if the airline I flew within 2017 was UA or not, but when I fly back later this year I will specifically speak to my local travel agent about booking with UA.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Due to flight complications I missed my connecting flights out of San Francisco. It was the Christmas weekend and I was on my way to see family. Needing a hotel for two nights and the customer services lines long and full of angry holiday travelers, I opted to pay for my own hotel instead of waiting in line for 6 hours for a hotel voucher. On a whim I submitted my receipts along with the circumstances as to why I got my own hotel to United after I had traveled home. Not expecting anything, just thought I'd give it a shot. Not only did they refund my 2-night hotel stay, they also gave me a very generous travel voucher. They did not question my reasoning and were very nice and responded quickly.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I live in CA and usually have to fly out of LAX, about 2 hours in light traffic. I got assigned a job in Denver and left out around midnight to the airport to make sure I didn't fall asleep and miss my flight. A headache there as all I could do was sit and wait for ticketing to open at 3:30ish AM. Got to Denver, met with my contact around 1 PM, got back to the Denver airport around 4 PM to wait for my flight out at 10:30 PM (sad face).

When I got to the ticketing counter/bag check area and tried to use my company card on a kiosk, wouldn't work. The most awesome older gentleman, white hair (4 PM 12/6 ticketing/bag check at DEN). I walked away from that desk after he helped me just shocked. For once someone helped out, for no reason but to do it. I wish I got his name, but this one encounter will place United forever in my mind to use. Has never been an airline I've used in the past but will be in the future. Thank you for hiring an excellent representative for your company and generally a good person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Other than the fact that we were 2 hours late taking off the quality of staff service was appalling. We were in front seats (supposedly best class), the stewardesses unabashedly babbled about their personal lives, clearly unaware or not caring whether we overheard them. My magazine holder broke within 5 minutes, I paid for onboard WiFi and the WiFi did not work, and when we landed the stewardess announced the wrong destination, and when I told her, didn’t even care. The lack of professionalism and care of the United staff was shameful. I felt embarrassed for foreign guests on the plane. United needs to up its game or sell itself to a more caring and professional airline.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have a ticket that United sold me for travel to and from Portland, Ore., from San Francisco. A ticket to fly! However, it costs extra to bring a carry on bag, to choose a seat, even to check in online before the flight. Really? I half expect United to start charging for the seat itself. Very little legroom, less than other airlines it seems. United used to be my #1 choice, now it's my last.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Have had only bad luck since United bought Continental, so I don't know why I'm surprised they let me down again. I have boycotted them for almost a year, but chose them for my trip to Knoxville, TN because they were the only airline with NON STOP flights. I could have chosen a competitor and saved money if I added a layover, but time is more important to me. My original flight was UA 4327 leaving Knoxville at 9:44. Arriving in Houston at 11:15. Well, they decided that I would rather take flight UA4372 leaving at 10:20 and go to Chicago! One hour and 20 minute layover there, before a 2 hour 45 minute flight arriving at 3:30! You call customer service and only get Filipinas who English is probably their 3rd language. No help whatsoever! The other airlines flights are full, so there is nothing I can do. AVOID UNITED LIKE THE PLAGUE! They don't care about you!

Original review: May 21, 2019

Worse airline experience I have ever had. I paid full price for a 1st class ticket from Springfield Mo to Seattle by way of Denver. Aircraft was 4 hours late to Springfield due to Maintenance so the gate agent said. Then it turned into a weather issue as we got to Denver. Sat on the taxi way waiting for a gate for over an hour as each flight I had booked to get home took off. Spent the night on the floor of the airport because by the time I got there every hotel within miles was sold out. No help at all from the employees and there attitude was horrible. They simply don’t care.

I paid full price for 1st class and they would even let’s us into the United Club. To get home without going on another 8 hour journey through San Francisco I was extorted into a couch seat on the morning direct flight but I had to give up my refund rights to my ticket refund. I will never fly this airlines again. I should have stayed with Delta or Alaska at least they know customer service. United doesn’t have a clue nor do they care. I hope they go broke.

Original review: May 20, 2019

United Airline has completely failed us during each leg of our trip from the US to Europe. Not only did they cancel our connecting flight from Brussels to Budapest due to an inexplicable 'scheduled change' but they did not book us on another flight. If we had not caught this ahead of time, we would have been stranded in Brussels.

After calling United Airlines and speaking to their customer service department, they informed me that this 'scheduled change' was not their fault and therefore they were not entitled to find a solution for us. After spending 2 hours on the phone with them, they finally agreed to book us new flights so that we could reach our final destinations at the beginning and the ending of our trip.

For 2 hours United Airlines attempted to book us on flights with different returning dates or routes with extreme layovers (over 10 hours) and I had to fight with them to finally get a travel itinerary that was almost similar to the original travel itinerary that we paid for. The customer service team was extremely rude and reminded me throughout the call that this was a courtesy they were performing that they would not do it for me again.

On top of all the pre-flight chaos, the flight itself was extremely uncomfortable and the crew was rude. When we finally began to board our return flights back to the US there was no information about our flight anywhere within the Munich Airport and we had to ask 5 people working at the airport before we were told where the United Airline gates are located. Because it seems that United Airlines has a pattern of causing stress and chaos for their customers it was no surprise that our boarding passes did not include our Gate information.

The Munich airport also treats United Airlines extremely poorly and the terminal in which all of the gates are located is extremely bare bones (only a restroom). Once you enter the terminal, after crossing 4 checkpoints, you are not permitted to exit back into the rest of the airport where the shops and restaurants are located. This is extremely uncomfortable when United Airlines has booked you a flight with a 5-hour layover in the early morning hours.

Finally, while we waited during our layover in Munich, we attempted to check-in for our next United Airlines flight (IAD to CHS) but the mobile app was unresponsive. When we were finally able to check-in via my laptop, we were told that we have to pay for our checked bags AND our carry on bags. This was not mentioned to us at any time during my 2 hours call with customer service or listed in any confirmation emails.

We booked this flight and this airline after becoming aware of a very cheap fare. The money we saved does not make up for the level of disappointment, stress and discomfort flying with United Airlines caused. I would recommend picking a different airline altogether. To say that this is one of the worst, if not the worst, airline in the skies in a complete understatement. I will never fly with United Airlines again regardless of the conditions for which I am traveling. I wouldn't even fly United again if the ticket was free. Shame on you United Airlines.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information