1.75/5
Based on 246 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2151 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

June 16, 2018 my flight from San Francisco, CA to Houston, TX was delayed. Needless to say the plane landed at the Houston airport a few minutes late. When seven coworkers and myself finally made it to the terminal, the gate had closed the door and we were not allowed to board the plane. The next flight out wasn't until the next day. We ended up renting vehicles and driving back to Lake Charles. This flight could not wait for us but going to San Francisco the week before, we sat and waited until all passengers were on board. An employee walked and took a head count of all people on board. The employee also said all passengers were not on board. We departed 20 minutes or more later. I fly a few times a year and hope I can avoid this frustration going forward.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've been flying United for years. Now they are doing bait and switch like the shady car dealerships doing. I called to find out how can I buy round trip tickets to pick 2 minor children and was advised to buy 1 way tickets instead and was assured by the customer service rep that tickets both ways as the same no matter if bought as a round trip or one way. I tried buying it online but was not able to so called back and the second customer service rep told me the same prices 256 round trip (same online) and same price coming back.

So I started booking, booked 2 one way for 2 adults for 256, then 4 coming back, but the price was already 730$. I said but 2 min ago you quoted me different price and I booked 2 tickets for 256, which means that 4 tickets should only cost 512 not 730. So long minute of silence and then a promise to talk to the supervisor and call me back. Never happened! Half an hour later I call them back and again, for the 3rd time explain to the rep the situation. So she quotes me even higher price and it's all over again let me ask supervisor, this time I stayed on the line, but the supervisor denied the quoted price saying that price was an hour ago and now the price is different. Now it's 780$.

So how is this my fault and my problem that those offshore customer support people are so slow, speak bad English, that I have to explain to them 100 times their own mistake, that they can't do the math and see right away that the price they are quoting me is not the same and that their supervisor decides for the entire airline. How is this the correct way to conduct business? Are we not in USA, that always pride itself for great customer service and honest business practices? I guess it can't be, if being run by the third world offshore companies with no values and no honesty.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Employees are terrible and entirely unhelpful. The employees at the Los Cabo’s airport spoke better English than the ones in the US. Smallest seats I’ve ever seen on a commercial airplane. Give your money to any other airline. Preferably Southwest or Alaska.

Original review: June 9, 2018 Flight to Las Vegas delayed 4 hours for an escape chute. US put 6 man on moon 1969. 737 first flew 1967. 737-800 first flew 1997. 10,000 built and 4,700 on order. Most popular civilian aircraft in world history. The chute was bad. The replacement was worse. Then they scrounged up another. According to United it is a 15 minute repair. Yet, it took United 4 hours. How can they have junk parts in stock? Southwest flies 4,000 737 takeoffs PER DAY. 15 minute turnaround time.

Gee, maybe United does not have safe planes? We were offered free peanuts and a free download of United app for wasting 4 hours of our lives. The app is free anyway. Cheap **. Uncaring personnel.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Worst. Experience. Ever. From start to... not even at our final destination yet. 1) Flight from Buffalo to Newark was delayed for 2 hours (understandable as I’ve traveled extensively in the past.). While waiting, the company tagline used on the plane to the passengers was as follows: “seems like it's an electrical maintenance issue on Newark’s part. Sorry everyone.” Still relatively understandable. This made us miss our 2 other connecting flights moving forward. 2) When trying to reroute our flights once we FINALLY got to Newark, we asked the customer service rep for the airline to put us up in a hotel in San Francisco 'cause we’d be stuck at the airport until 8:45 am (after landing around midnight as it was the earliest flight to Santa Barbara/home.) “No. It was because of weather. We don’t do that if it’s because of weather,” the customer service rep advised.

***AT NO POINT WAS “THE WEATHER” cited as any part of the cause for the delay! Whatever. Horrible attitudes with the employees at the gate as well. 3.) Finally we were able to get on to our re-routed flight (which, by the way, was also delayed for almost 2 hours as well.) I have a roller bag that easily fits in the overhead compartment. Before the plane was even 1/2 full, they started pulling luggage to check in. At the gate, I explained EXPLICITLY that IF I check my bag, I need to grab it from the gate itself and NOT have them send it directly to our final destination (Santa Barbara) or the general checked-in luggage. There was plenty of overhead space by my seat, mind you. NOPE! We had to leave the gated area to the baggage carousels, WHERE THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT TOLD US TO GO, and nothing. No bag. Apparently they were “holding it” to get it on our last flight... which leaves in 7 hours!

I have things in there I need! And now the security checkpoint is closed so we can’t even get back into a nice quiet area to find a place to sleep for even a little bit because of the sheer lack of communication, horrible customer service, and complete lack of empathy. I will NEVER again fly with United and I hope nobody else will either. (Please note - I’ve never written a bad review for anything before but this is just ridiculous.) DO NOT FLY WITH UNITED!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: May 31, 2018

I want to compliment your customer service. I wasn't able to get the application for a refund with my phone and one of your agents helped me fill it out over the phone. I have received my request and just wanted to say thank you so much. God bless you all.

Original review: May 31, 2018

United canceled our flight at the last minute and claimed poor weather conditions. This was even though I could look at the radar maps and check weather conditions along my whole route. There was no chance of poor weather, just partly cloudy skies. I imagine that this was their way of cheating customers out of travel vouchers that would be awarded by a better airline, for either maintenance issues on their planes, or an underbooked flight. My biggest issue was that they had no problem telling me repeatedly their bold-faced lie. Even when I was able to get a supervisor on the phone, they kept spouting the "company line". Because of this, My wife and I both missed out on part of the conference we were going to attend, as no flights were available until the next day. We booked with Delta afterward, like we should have in the first place. We won't make that mistake again.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Bumpy flight, not too happy flight attendants, boarding a disaster, not too sociable gate personnel, stand-by employees treated poorly, and too long to get luggage.

Original review: May 30, 2018

In the last four flights I had with United, 3 were delayed and one of them (from San Juan to NY on December 16) was delayed longer than 24 hours which forced me and my wife to spend an all the night at the airport. United cancelled the flight a dozen of times!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Being of only 1 airline that serves my closest airport, I would hope that United would want to serve their customers better than they do. The planes that fly into Arcata Airport are very small and of course lack the room. The stewards are not friendly and many times leave you with no more than the usual instructions they are required to perform. No smile, no snack, and no drink leaves me disappointed in many ways. Where has "Flying the friendly skies" gone too?

Original review: May 25, 2018

It was a long flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt. I travelled for the first time with United Airlines in the Economy class. Seats were uncomfortable as there was less legs space. Food is below average, was hungry most of the time (lesson learnt- always carry food while taking long flights). The worst thing was the host service. They were not descriptive about what they were serving. Hosts serving on my side were cold and very unapproachable. Had the worst host service. Definitely, not looking forward to travelling with this airline.

Original review: May 25, 2018

They went out of their way to take care of me. I needed help & a wheelchair on a recent trip from the East Coast to the West Coast & when there was a gate change they made sure I was taken care of when I pointed out the fact I had no way to get to the new gate. Once in the plane they were very helpful also.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Boarding the plane was a bit of a hassle. We had a disabled person flying with us and it was a little bit of a mess. But after we got everyone settled in the flight was on time and was very nice.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Thank you very much Chris ** from Saint Louis Lambert Airport! We were nicely surprised with the professional help from the lady behind the counter! A little gesture can make the day special and bring happiness!

Original review: May 19, 2018

Original flight scheduled to depart 9:40 a.m. May 11th. Sioux Falls, SD w/ BRIEF layover in Denver CO, then on to San Diego, CA. Flight out of Sioux Falls delayed till 12:45, then 1:02, 1:52, then 3:35! Meanwhile, flights from Denver also delayed. As a matter of fact, EVERY passenger & flight attendant confirmed, MULTIPLE United Flights delayed in NUMEROUS cities that day! After a 6 hour delay @ Sioux Falls Airport, we were headed to Denver. Upon arrival in Denver, there were no firm connecting flights from Denver to San Diego, as ALL Denver United flights were also delayed & overbooked! United did NOT guarantee to accommodate me for lodging overnight, nor a solid refund. Almost canceled whole trip. MOST United folks were helpful, but overall experience was a nightmare! This was supposed to be a Birthday trip! Fortunately, have family in Denver, as I couldn't continue to CA. Am filing for refund.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I paid 1 year in advance for a trip from NH to Hawaii to celebrate my 35 anniversary. We left Hawaii for San Francisco to find that United overbooked and bounced my wife and I. They handed us off to Southwest and after fighting for some time, we finished our journey.

Original review: May 18, 2018

My husband and I flew from Savannah to Dulles then to Frankfurt Germany. Coming back we flew from Munich to Dulles to Savannah. There wasn’t a single flight that hadn’t been overbooked. Coming back at Dulles we found that our flight had been cancelled to Savannah. We went to the customer service desk close to the runways and they would only put us on standby for that night at 10:10 or wait until noon the next day. The flight they said was weather related so we couldn’t get a hotel through them. We finally found the customer service desk at the ticket counter and found that the flight cancellation was not due to weather and they put us up in a hotel which was nice but the other poor people had to spend the night in the airport because the customer service people really didn’t want to give out hotel rooms for the inconvenience. We just luckily found the right person at the right time to help us out.

The only reason I’m giving them two stars instead of one is because we finally did get a hotel room. Just remember do not take the first person’s word for it on why the flight is cancelled. They really do not care about your inconvenience and do not want to give out hotel rooms even if it is their fault your flight is cancelled. Go to at least 2 customer service counters because they lie about why planes are cancelled so they don’t have to help you out. The overbooking on their flights is apparently common knowledge with people who fly often so make sure you get your seat numbers when booking. Do not wait!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I hate to fly. They jam you in and you have no room to move. Heaven forbid you get a middle seat. Attendants are not friendly and treat you like you are another. Going to the bathroom is a nightmare.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Please be aware @United alliance with Jet Airways is very customer unfriendly and it appears that United is not concerned about the inconvenience of the customer(s). I had bad experience and inconvenience on an international journey to India from US: the customer is allowed free checked baggage 23kg/50lbs while leaving US & 15kg/33lbs while coming back to US. The passenger is not clearly notified or made aware of this by United at the time of booking so that either passenger takes less as checked baggage or chooses another airline. In contrast, the baggage allowance conveyed to the customer at the bottom of booking e receipt was at best confusing or deceiving, intentional or non-intentional (showing 50 lbs/23kg allowance on return inbound journey to US).

We never had this kind of problem with United earlier or ever with any other airline & we travel international sectors quite often. What an arrangement of United with Jet Airways, that outbound flights from US allowed free checked baggage is 50 lbs (23 kg) as per "United policy" and inbound to US free checked baggage is 15 kg/33lbs as per "Jet Airways policy" this means one has to leave some of their personal belongings abroad! Received most surreal & canned response from United customer care rep, through "customer care" on United air website. United rep claims above happened as I had a "broken" or "non continuous journey/booking". I had made one booking online and got one confirmation number from United, if this booking was made non-continuous by United air, it was without my knowledge, otherwise, I would not have bought the ticket.

I pasted my e ticket booking confirmation from United air in email reply to United air rep.: had no response. Travelers to India from and US (and ? vice versa) please be aware of this discrepant baggage policy if you are using United air. I hope United will look into this matter and correct this anomaly otherwise it will happen to many more customers as a surprise when they go to check in counter in India at the initiation of the journey, At the time of check-in if this happens, there is no choice except to take out some of your belongings and throw away or pay extra for check-in baggage. Also note that once you open your baggage at an Indian airport, one has to go through check-in baggage security again. United Airlines’ motto invites its customers to “fly the friendly skies” is simply not true.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have flown United since it began. Service is not as good as it used to be but still good. They are expensive but they also offer more than a value airline.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Flight from DCA to YYZ - We have been waiting for the above flight now for 2 days. What is going on? United needs to compensate all 5 of us as some have work in Toronto, others school and also we have a sick relative in Toronto.

Original review: May 13, 2018

People need to beware of high baggage fees coming back to US from Mexico. This has happened on two different vacations one from Cancun the other from Mazatlán in April 2018. Same baggage going and coming home. Each time charged 143.00 for overweight luggage claimed we must have bought something to take home. The same people who start this process are with you until you get on the plane laughing at the issue. Customer service horrible. Never again. Should have known from the first time. You are treated rudely by United when coming back to the US.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Put my mother in law on a flight from Seattle to Norfolk. She got rerouted because of weather then they said they had no flights. We called Customer service and there was the same response. No flights till a day later, what??? The customer service at Newark Airport, they were horrible. NEVER AGAIN. They need to go out of business.

Original review: May 10, 2018

This complaint is in reference to UA flight 3791, from Chicago O'Hare to Kalamazoo, Michigan, scheduled for Thursday, May 10. After a delay, the flight was cancelled for reasons relating to "maintenance" of the plane. No explanation or apology was offered. No gate officer was present to redirect passengers or to give advice. No substitute plane was called into service to help all the passengers stranded in Chicago, and no additional route to Kalamazoo was added to the schedule for that day.

After being booked on a flight to Grand Rapids instead, I was told that United would not pay for transportation to Kalamazoo, my original destination. They instead offered a $10 meal voucher that did not work when I tried to use it in the airport. Cancelling a flight at the last minute suggests that United routinely fails to anticipate mechanical issues that should be routine matters of maintenance. This event reflects poorly on the airline (as do numerous other accounts offered here and in the media) and raises questions about their safety record.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Right after my Arteriovenous Malformation AVM (Brain Haemorrhage) which caused by stress and other factors, I was travelling from Montreal to Mumbai with a stopover in Europe right after my emergency surgeries of craniotomy and cranioplasty to meet my mother for first time as I was almost died. United Airlines lady security and security chief gave so much hard time by opening my handbags full of medicines (20 bottles) post operations as recovery period & let me go through 1h 40 minutes of search, stress and even strip searched (I am not Muslim) which caused me another AVM right after I landed in Mumbai airport due to excessive stress and torture which caused my single mother worst time of our life as I went in coma and started recovering slowly since last Christmas only.

Worst experience which caused me jobless life (engineer) and debts to my single mom. I am paralysed for life and have to consume 11 medicines a day. Can I ask why me??? PS: During strip search I had 54 stitches on my right side of head without skull and 9 stitches on my abdomen muscles and I needed lot of recovery process which I wanted to do not alone in Canada. :(

Original review: May 7, 2018

Their service is very poor. They did not send me an email when my trip was cancelled. Not even a text. We found out after reaching the airport that the trip was cancelled. VERY BAD SERVICE AND EVEN CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Check in lady told me I was fine bringing my personal item and non-full sized carry-on, I specifically went to the desk to clarify what I can and can't do. If I wasn't allowed to have a carry-on I would've been fine with paying to have my luggage checked in. Once I arrived at the gate, the representative there told me I wasn't allowed to bring my non-full sized carry-on and I would have to check in my luggage. I was then charged $50 instead of the standard $25 check in fee, because of an extra handling fee.

So one representative at check in told me I could bring my carry on and another at the gate tells me I can't and proceeds to charge me the extra $25 handling fee. So I've personally handled my own luggage and brought as close to the plane as possible and they charge me a handling fee? What the **. United Airlines, lied to me, then proceeded to take advantage and rob me. It was an extremely frustrating experience, and will never pay to fly United ever again, I am so glad I chose not to apply for their travel rewards card and ended up choosing Bank of America Travels rewards. I definitely would not recommend anyone to fly with this airline. I'm a frequent flyer and this has been the only negative experience I've ever had with an airline.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I lost $508 in 2 one-way tickets because my passenger couldn't go on the trip because of a death in the family and had to cancel. They will not refund my money, give me a credit, transfer the ticket to me. ZERO customer service. Trip was planned for October of 2017, and nearly now May 2018 I'm still trying to get this resolved. Even to use my one ticket there's a rescheduling fee. I'd rather purchase from another airline and they can keep my $500.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My husband and I recently booked a flight through United. A few days later I received an email stating our flights were cancelled. I called the airline to see what happened and when I called the automated system said “I see you’ve called several times from this number” which I obviously found odd since I booked online and I never called the airline. When I asked for my flights to be put back in place they advised me I needed to rebook and pay again. I hadn’t received my refunded money yet and flight prices change as well as stress from not having our flights secured. I was told I needed to wait 7-10 business days for my money so I could rebook... But then I tried to tell them this cancellation was fraudulent and they directed me to an email which would require an investigation and a minimum of 5 days to reach a resolution... I don’t want to wait 5 days for something that was already supposed to be taken care of and off my mind.

I also was told if I booked my flight before then that I would not be able to use any compensations or accommodations on my current trip. But then it made me wonder why would I even want to book with them again when I feel my information/flights are not safe? It really didn’t seem like they cared about my issue or my business. Needless to say I just decided to book a flight with American Airlines instead as they had the same exact price and I wouldn’t have to worry about fraud.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Recently we booked a trip from SLC to San Diego for three. Short flight so we looked for cheap fares. Booked United. At ticket counter told we had no choice but to pay to check our very small carry on bags (one for each of us, even though we didn't have anything else to carry on) or face a $50 penalty at the gate. Reluctantly checked them including a new and expensive carry on we had specifically bought to be a carry on. At the gate they offered to check bags for free. When I inquired about what happened at the counter, the gate agent said they would have checked them for free at the gate so sorry. When we arrived in San Diego an hour later the handle on the new expensive (never before used) carry on had been ripped from the case!

I showed this to the United baggage agent explained that this was the destroyed bag I was forced to check and could have (according to the gate agent) checked for free at the gate. "Sorry. We are not responsible for your handle on your bag! If you want I can see if we have an abandoned bag in the back you can have but we are not responsible for your handle even if we made you check the bag!" End of story. Done. Would not even engage in further discussion and asked to help the next customer. Wasted money on checking bags $110, out $225 for a nice carry on, and reminded, once again, why I stopped flying United years ago and won't bother them with the inconvenience of flying United again. There are too many options not to pick one that is --- not United.

United Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

With 723 aircraft in their mainline fleet and an additional 510 aircraft operated regionally, United Airlines has one of the largest passenger fleets in the world.

• Easy rewards: United Airlines has one of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use rewards programs out there.

• Tiered seating: Business-class, first-class and business-first-class seating is available to let travelers relax and stretch out during a flight.

• Free checked bag services: Business- and first-class passengers fly with no additional fees for a checked bag, barring oversized luggage.

• International travel: In addition to offering domestic flights, United Airlines travels to 57 different countries and offers services such quick checks on visa issues related to travel.

• Flight info on the go: United Airlines has an app that lets users book flights, check in, follow flight status info, see seat maps and more.

• Best for: International vacationers, business travelers and frequent fliers who want more travel options and upgraded service.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

United Airlines Company Information