3.40/5
Based on 2,081 ratings submitted in the last year

2452 United Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2019

United staff is crazy and thief. It is worst ever. They steal my stuff from my checked bag. I will not recommend and will not travel in United ever. Even Southwest and American Airlines a lot better good and professional.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Carry on luggage w/ rollers is not permitted anymore and if you are in group 5 and up to board the plane. You are limited to 1 carry on only, including personal item, either stuff everything to 1 carry on bag or you need to have the second carry on tagged with a baggage claim label and pay $30.00. WiFi is free but, entertainment is not and you use your own device to watch movie or listen to music from the United Airlines library. Seating assignment is not assigned till we checked in and we were not sitting close together for a group of seven including 2 kids. The only positive thing was friendly flight attendants and we got to our destination safely. Flight was booked 6 months in advance, told my wife never fly United Airlines anymore.

Original review: July 2, 2019

On Friday, June 28, 2019, my family including myself, my husband, and three boys were supposed to be on flight UA3971 EWR-GSP. We arrived on time and even began boarding the flight (9:04 pm) when we were told to go back out to the waiting area. This is when a flight attendant announced that the pilot requested no one on board the aircraft until the lavatory can be cleaned. We waited for thirty minutes to hear our flight was now going to be delayed because the lavatory is broken, and we need a new plane. It was not until 11:00 pm that United finally announced the flight was canceled “due to weather." United’s pilots were irate with the situation and tried to get their time extended since the truth of the matter was that the flight crew had timed out and the skies were clear.

After watching the pilots (the only humans working for United that night) scramble to make a terrible situation right, the lovely female desk representative for United came over the intercom to announce it was canceled with no flights out for the following day. As I stepped up to the counter where the announcement came from to ask a question the desk representative acted like I wasn’t even there and pointed over to another United counter next to her. I joined the rest of the flight and stood in line for another 20 minutes to find out that we could sit on standby for Sunday and two of us could fly on Monday but the other three would have to wait until Tuesday.

I asked the new United representative what my options were with a child who needs medications before Monday, and he asked me “so I assume you want a refund?” "No, sir, I would like a solution for the flight I had home with my children tonight and especially for my youngest who is autistic and will be teetering on a medical crisis by Monday." “Again, mam so you want a refund?” He never once gave us any other options than to simply sit on standby for Sunday or book for Monday and Tuesday. Is this how you treat children especially those with additional needs? I asked about reimbursement for a rental, and your rep told me to submit it online.

After clarifying, I would get all the cost of all 5 flights, I canceled the flight home. What was the point of sitting on standby if my child would need medical attention before Monday? I have yet to receive a confirmation email on the refund or anything beyond “yes mam, it was submitted" or "no mam, we cannot tell you when it will be released or for how much” when I call the customer service line. I have attempted to submit the rental car expenses that I was told to submit online, but there is no ticket associated with my ticket number now. My family has incurred $2,150.50 (cash/points) for airline tickets and $587.49 in a rental car we did not expect to pay. These numbers are not considering the gas and food due to the long travel. It took my family 18.5 hours to reach home with three children. The least United could do is refund my expenses. This event was the worst travel experience of my life, and I cannot get answers from anyone.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Single out and pick on. Somewhat bully by attendants on flight 3726 on 6/25/2019 540am the whole flight, reported it United. No apology. Recline my chair as soon as I was on the on plane, right after flight attendant told me to put it up, lady in front of me had hers down so I told the other flight attendant that there’s other people with their seats recline. I don’t understand and I have a bad back, she told me those was the rules and do I have a problem. I said no, didn’t want no trouble but I just watching other passengers recline their chairs so I did so. Soon after here comes a flight attendant. Told to put my chair up. Don’t know why I was single out.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I booked the UA4892 flight from Grand Rapids to Newark (NY) on June 19th 11:30 am. While at the gate we found out that first there was a delay for 12:08. At 12:15 the gate personnel came out and announced that there was a technical issue and the flight was cancelled. She asked everybody to go to the front office and rebook another flight because the UA4892 was not going to leave. I immediately headed to the front desk and tried to find an alternative. I was told by a United Airlines staff that there was no flight until the next day and that would take me to New York late afternoon. That was not good enough for me as I had a job interview on June 19th and a meeting early morning June 20th. So, I asked what was my alternative. The person at the front desk said there was no other alternative and suggested to refund the cost of the ticket. She immediately put the refund request in the United system.

I accepted and immediately started calling all the necessary people and try and re-schedule arrange the job interviews. I have only been able to reschedule one so far. When I arrived back home I called the hotel I had booked and asked for possible cancellation of my booking. The hotel initially denied refund as it was last minute but finally asked for a letter of flight cancellation from United so that they can possibly consider.

I called United customer service and after half an hour of waiting, they directed me to a webpage where I could ask for a full refund of the hotel cost as well aside from the flight cost. I stayed on the phone to do exactly what they directed me to do and attached the hotel bill on that form. As soon as I finished the call my wife called me (I had notified her earlier) and she told me that the flight was en route to Newark. She asked me to check the google flight status. I did and I saw that the flight was reported en-route to Newark.

I tried to call the airport but to no avail. I decided to go back and find out what happened. I tried to ask the lady who told me that the flight was cancelled and suggested the refund but she avoided me saying she never suggested a refund to me or said that the flight was cancelled. Then I asked for the supervisor, who aggressively tried to lead me on the side of the office and avoided offering any explanation. They asked me to wait in an office with a young employee who knew nothing and just waited there for 10 mins without anything happening. I asked for the name of the person who refunded my ticket and the name of the supervisor but she denied offering them and called for security.

Needless to say I was extremely polite and respectful to all. I told her that was not necessary as I only wanted to file a complaint with United (as I saw there was no way for me to fly and would like to have the names of the employees involved). Security came and offered the name of the supervisor (ie Gene) but not the name of the employee who cancelled my ticket. I left. After three days of talking to UA customer service I finally managed to get a letter on June 21st which I forwarded to the Hotel in NY (Club Quarters at the World Trade Center). After another three days of back and forth the hotel finally declined reimbursing me the money (USD 584) because “it was last minute and booked through an online service”. United reimbursed USD 300. (A bit less than the cost of the ticket.)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: June 29, 2019

Twice in a period of 10 days United has canceled the flights of my family and I while seating at the gate. I am a family of 6 and this is unacceptable. Not only is this a inconvenience but poor operational management. This is the worst run airlines in the business. As a member of the armed services I am embarrassed they actually have the flight contract. I will never fly this airline again.

Original review: June 29, 2019

In Chicago O’Hare and very, very upset with United Airlines for the poor customer service and delay (on the part of this company). I’ve never experienced such inadequate service and concern. It started with a delay in flight from Pensacola where we were incorrectly told that weather conditions was delaying our departure. All the while, other carriers (ie...American, Delta, etc) were leaving as scheduled. I guess it was only rainy skies for United???? Then, the excuse went to aircraft maintenance???? More shadiness!

Even with that being said, you would have thought that a respectable airline (which UNITED AIRLINES is NOT) with customer service as a priority (which UNITED AIRLINES is NOT) would have made the connecting flights for its customers being that the delay was on the fault of United AIRLINES. Instead, we’ve been scurrying about trying to make this happen for ourselves. Was even given the helpful advice (I’m being sarcastic) that if getting home today was such a priority we could always drive the five hours home. Well, today June 28, 2019 the “friendly skies” airlines HAVE NOT BEEN TOO DAMN FRIENDLY!!”

Original review: June 29, 2019

Flight 2352/1632 LAX to MEM for June 28, 12:55 AM. This a long rant. I know that things happen beyond United’s control and safety is paramount. No argument from me. This was my first time ever attempting to fly United. I have a family who bought their tickets together and I, separate, but we all were to depart and lay over on the same flights from LAX to MEM to stay together. We bought tickets months in advance. Our flights were cancelled last night (not sure why) and initially we were told come back tomorrow with the first flight starting at 11. You’re a major airline and the earliest flight you have is 11 am the next day ok. This would make us too late on the 28th. The agents couldn’t even guarantee I’d be on whatever plane they were on had they chose to fly.

Like my family, I purchased tickets over a month ago but was told l would be standby which made no sense. But then got a text saying I was rebooked to leave at 7am today while they’d go around 11. THEY wouldn’t get to Memphis until midnight 6/29 on their “rebooked” flights. This was not going to work for any of us. I would have been stuck in Memphis airport for nearly 9 hours waiting for them to arrive. Hotels were in relative’s name who needed to be present, plus they would miss the climax of our reason for going to Memphis in the first place. I was then told that both flights had been canceled approximately 40 min earlier. Not delayed, CANCELLED. This was before we found out they were delayed.

On this top of all this, I had a huge problem getting my luggage. I was directed all over the airport then told to go stand in the baggage service line from nearly an hour. Now I understood that the bags were not on the plane yet, as the alleged plane we were to fly on never made it. So I stood for an hr only to be told 3 people ahead of me that United had STOPPED carousel-sending luggage for the night. Desk reps told us we could either come back in the morning to get, or bags could be delivered to us. The luggage guys had left for the night, they said. My clothes, toiletries and everything are in my luggage so this was completely unacceptable to me. United telling me that they could not even guarantee me flying on the same plane as my family by that point was bad enough, despite paying in advance. Now expecting me to “wait till morning” to get my luggage was the final straw.

As soon as the airline determined Flight 2352 LAX/Houston and 1631 to MEM were cancelled, luggage should have began rolling off the carousel. This or sent to a holding area for us to pick up. Instead I and my family spent all night arguing with agents and waiting hours to get our bags back. We found out around 11:40 that the flight was a no-go. Yet we didn’t leave the airport until after 4 am, because we spent hours just trying to get our stuff back. Completely asinine. In the process of hopefully getting my refund plus bag fees. - C. A.

Original review: June 27, 2019

This is by far the worst of the US based airlines. I fly all the time for business and leisure, so I feel as though I have sampled most of what the US has to offer over the past 20 years in terms of airline quality. During a recent trip, the baggage handlers in Missoula took 2 hours to load bags (we were all on the plane for the duration of this debacle), making us almost miss a connecting flight in Denver. Once aboard, we flew out 1.5 hours only to turn back to Denver because someone didn't close the door all the way. You have to be joking?? The attendants made no effort to be sympathetic and when I asked for a menu for food (we hadn't eaten in 5 hours) they let us know none was on board but pretzels. I will never use this airline again.

Original review: June 27, 2019

UA cancelled my flight without sending me any information and now they are not providing me a return flight to India. I have a 2 year old child to travel back to India. I just want UA to ethically provide me my return tickets to India, something for which I had already paid them long back. Otherwise it is going to destroy my whole experience with United States... My return flight was on 8, July. Please be generous and provide me a solution asap.

United Airlines Company Information