3.3/5 (561 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: June 15, 2022

We boarded the plane on time only to sit for 3h. We were introduced to the crew, followed by the announcement there was a maintenance issue. Clearly, this was known prior to boarding since it was an immediate announcement. After a while, we were told the wrong part was attempted and we had to wait for the right part. We finally taxied to the runway only to sit again. 3rd announcement from the crew was that there was another problem with some gas indicator light and they couldn't fix it on the runway. We had to taxi back to the gate for fixing.

The plane was full, people were annoyed and cramped. It was a flight to Italy which was already going to be a long one. I can only believe that planes with issues are still boarded on time for statistical purposes. This is a huge customer dissatisfier! Also, while I appreciate transparency and frequent updates, I don't need to know that the wrong part was brought out to the plane initially. For one of my daughters, this was her first flight. I am grateful that our return to home flight was smooth! But, I am extremely dissatisfied with our flight out.

Original review: May 26, 2022

United Airlines is a terrible company, and I'll be sure to never fly with them. You shouldn't either. I recently paid for a plane ticket to meet someone in Nashville. That person lied to me, and after finding out, I quickly contacted United and the other airline to let them know that I had been lied to, and requested my money back. It wasn't any fault of the airlines, but I sent pictures of the messages, requested it before the date of the flight, and was told that because I bought a non-refundable ticket they weren't going to reimburse me. The day after the flight, I got an e-mail from Expedia saying that the flight was cancelled. I have requested another refund, and am awaiting a response. In the meantime, I'll be leaving this same bad review everywhere I can.

Original review: May 22, 2022

My whole vacation was ruined by United Airlines. I booked well in advance to get a deal only to be bumped and my seat sold to another customer for a higher price. I am now out my hotel deposit and car rental. I either shorten my vacation and lose money or cancel my vacation and lose money. How is this not illegal?

Original review: May 4, 2022

Called to use voucher, used United Airlines 1800 tel number,, got a confirmation email from United Airlines. When it was time to fly away it turned out to be a none existing booking, United blames it on 3rd party answers the phone, I paid for new tickets double, had a wedding to get to and hotel reservations paid for. United Airlines must take full responsibility for their actions.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Our flight was cancelled due to operational problems. I was notified on my phone and after going to several terminals, could not find a person to help me try to reschedule. I finally went to the United Club lounge, and was told they were short staffed. Our travelers are elderly and are smart phone handicapped. She reluctantly assisted us, even though she said she wasn't supposed to

Original review: April 27, 2022

Flight attendants make you feel comfortable. This is the first time I felt so comfortable flying overseas. They don't lose your luggage and arrives in good condition. Excellent service. I will travel with them again.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Mechanical failure was the phrase of the day. This should have been an easy flight from Detroit to a connection in Denver to our final destination in Jackson Hole. Instead, after two delays on the first flight and two delays on the second, followed by a cancelation for the second (after sitting on the roasting hot plane for 90 minutes while they "fixed" the mechanical failure), they told us we couldn't take off due to weather. My co-traveler and I were on a business trip we could no longer make as a result. We were ushered to a customer service line directly outside the gate. We were literally led by an airline worker and told to stay there until it was our turn in line.

Over an hour later (we were next in line, by the way), another airline worker, brand new to the situation, barked at us and told us we were in the wrong line. "Go back to this other line," she demanded. We tried to explain (as did the other passengers also in line with us) that we were all on the same cancelled flight and specifically asked to be in this line. Other airline workers were trying to tell her the same. She would not listen and again demanded we go to the back of a completely different line. Another worker moved us forward to the desk to help us. She turned to another customer (not her co-workers for some reason) and asked if we has always been in line in front of him. He was like, "Yes, they've been standing in line over an hour." I said, "See, we were told to be here." Again, she barked, and said, "I wasn't talking to you!"

Her name was C. ** and she not only doesn't know how to listen, but also doesn't know the first thing about customer service. Moreover, the root of this problem is that one hand of United didn't know what the other was doing. Why was this woman barking orders when there was another who had already organized us where she needed us to be? All of this after the day from H*ll. United needs to get organized, get working planes, pay their employees more, train them better, actually care about customer service like they claim to...and write up C. ** who works at the Denver Airport with concierge services.

Original review: April 5, 2022

We booked and chose seats 3 weeks prior to our trip. Plane from O’hare to Denver was virtually empty so we moved from our economy seats to economy plus and we were told we had to stay in our own section. Really? Stupid policy that will keep this airline from creating brand advocates.

Resolution response: Dec. 17, 2022

They needed to manually scan my passport at the airport - I had renewed it, and I guess they don't accept what you enter on their website as true. The biggest reason this became an issue was that nobody could simply tell me what I needed to do.

Original review: March 31, 2022

For some crazy reason that nobody at United can explain, I can't online check in for an international flight (in Polaris/first/business class no less). I can't even use a kiosk. I have to go down to the bowels of the airport to a special desk to check in. This is ridiculous. I've spent hours on the phone trying to resolve it, but none of the Customer Service folks even care to TRY to solve my problem. I'm done. After 30 years of flying United, I will avoid them like the plague from now on. I'm cancelling my Club card (gets me into their crappy clubs), and going with ANY other airline I can fly.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I traveled on United roughly 1 month ago and have never been so disappointed with an airline. Not only did I arrive at my destination 2 days late because of delays (non-weather related) causing me to miss my connecting flights, but they made a mistake on my departure and only issued 1 ticket while 2 were originally booked. This caused me to depart a day later than planned which resulted in additional expenses for lodging, meals and transportation. I was adamantly assured by the agent on the phone that I would be reimbursed for all of my extra expenses (2 nights unused hotel stay, 1 additional night hotel stay, meals and taxi) for the multitude of mistakes that were made, but United is refusing to do anything other than issue a $300 travel credit. Negligence at its best.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Check in desks closing early. Check in electronics machines broken. Inflexible staff and service, constantly parroting "It's the system, I can't do anything." When I was placed in economy after paying for business No help in getting a refund when downgraded, beyond contact the United website I travel the EWR to Barcelona route every 3 months, for 4 years, was always United. For my next trip and subsequent trips it's unlikely I will fly United.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

This is the worst airline I ever been on. First they charged me for my hand luggage which is free on American Airlines. This was when I was visiting this other state. Before this happened I tried checking in online and it didn’t allow me to do so. When I finally reach the airport I got checked in. That’s when I was charged $35 for my bag that is considered hand luggage on American Airlines. Then when I finally board the flight I found out that I was separated from my husband even though it showed we were traveling together. We were assigned different seats. Worst airline company ever. I’m highly disappointed!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

My husband booked a 6:25 am flight on a Friday to LAX. He has his vaccination record and 48hr negative covid test. At the kiosk, the attendants said it should be 24hr negative test. My husband who is so eager to see our 2 year old son wanted so bad to comply, he went to the airport clinic for covid test. He got his result at 5:15am, he hurriedly went back to the kiosk but the attendants did not let him board the flight because they said he is too late to check in. But this is a 6:25 flight and he was at the kiosk at 5:20 right after he got his result. So what happened was he was turned down by the airline attendants and my husband has to book a ticket which is twice expensive his original ticket. This was very inconvenient and stressful. Those staff were so inconsiderate, very poor service. If there is zero star on the rate it would give them that.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Awful experience!! My family and I flew from SC to Denver, CO in February 2022. Within the first 10 minutes of boarding the first plane, all the power on the plane went out. This lasted 10 minutes before we were informed that they were "rebooting" the plane's electrical system. Once fixed, we sat on the tarmac for another 20 minutes because they had to change out the sewer water. So flight was delayed 45 minutes before taking off. On our return flight from Denver to SC, we were supposed to connect in Houston, TX. Our flight from Denver did not take off until 40 minutes after our original departure time. When asked why the delay, we were told there were no specific issues, but they were just waiting on a few late passengers to board! I understand waiting a few minutes for late passengers, but waiting 30 minutes after our scheduled departure time is unacceptable.

Once we arrived in Houston, we sat on the tarmac for 25 minutes before we could park at the gate.....so more than half of the passengers on this flight missed our next flights. My wife, my 3 kids, and I went to the United Airlines desk to ask for help and there were 4 United attendants working at this desk. I explained that we missed our connecting flight and I asked for assistance to find another option. They rudely told me they can't assist me and told me to call a 1-800 number to speak to someone. I called the 1-800 number and was told that United rebooked our flights for a day later and had us going to Chicago....without my input or consent!! I asked for help to explore other flight options to SC and the person told me...."sir, you are not listening to what I am saying". This person was incredibly rude and was extremely unhelpful!

I rebooked our flight myself without any help or support from United. We had to spend the night in Houston and fly to Charlotte the next afternoon. The plane from Houston to Charlotte did not have running water in the bathroom and the air conditioning went out once we took off. This flight was 19 minutes delayed, no water to wash hands in restroom, and we flew for 2.5 hours without air conditioning. After landing in Charlotte, we then had to rent a car (with no support from United) at my expense to get home. AND OUR BAGS WERE SENT BACK TO DENVER!!! Flying with United has been an absolute terrible experience and my family & I will never consider flying with United again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I had a flight from San Juan Puerto Rico and arrived at the airport at 0700. I had to wait an hour for anyone to show up to the counter to check in. Had I known booking basic economy would result in my not being able to check in via kiosk, I would have never booked that type of ticket. The kiosk does not allow you to check in with basic economy because it basically says you have to have a representative check the veracity of carry-on bags or not.

After waiting for an hour for any employees to show up, the front desk clerk was very rude. She says "you should have been in the middle line if you don't have any bags to check". Obviously, if there were any employees present to guide the long line of customers waiting, we would have done so; which is what I told her and she says "I beg your pardon". Then she says "you booked no carry-on so I'm going to need a credit card". Need a credit card for what? The flight going to Puerto Rico did not require it for 1 carry on size bag and it was the same airline.

After giving my card for unnecessary charges being that they were checking carry on bags at the gateway for free, just before that my male companion had to return to the check in counter because the TSA agent said the ID didn't match the boarding pass. We go back and the reasoning being was his gender being put down as female. This was the worst airline I have ever been on and will not be a returning customer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I have spoken to 8 different customer service people and have been on the phone for over 3 and 1/2 hours to get a receipt that reflects the charges that United Airlines charged the company card. The receipt I have been given from United is not what they charged the card. We are not disputing any charges or anything else just a corrected receipt. We are a non-profit so I must have this to reconcile with the credit card statement for our auditors. Everybody I have spoke to has told me that I need to talk to someone else but they can't transfer me I have to call back. And, that means starting all over with the issue with someone new. After this happened the first time I refused to do this and requested that they transfer me to someone that could help. I was disconnected. Had to start over again.

With my 8th United person I finally did get to speak to a supervisor and she stated that they are all still working from home and everything is being done electronically and that had I to fill out this form and return it. I stated "There is no one that I can physically speak to about this?" And she said that this department was the only one that could help me and it had to be done electronically. Problem still not resolved over a receipt!!!! The WORST customer service I have experienced to date.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

For a 30 minute flight from Houston to Austin Tx, we sat in the plane after boarding the plane in Houston for one hour, while they filled up their catering supplies for the next flight!!!! Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I have used United twice! The first time was a terrible experience but my husband insisted we try them again. The experience was again terrible and the absolute worst customer service from the manager Nelson at the Indianapolis Indiana airport. The icing on the cake was our bags never arriving with life or death medicines and the manager acted like their mistake was nothing and was no help whatsoever other than talking down to us. Do yourself a favor and use another airline. That way you don’t make the same mistake we did.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Worst experience in 50 years of flying. Booked a flight 3 days before a meeting in Amsterdam Netherlands, by the time they got me there missed the meeting because of cancellations and delays and they acted like it was not a problem. Hotel rooms, taxi costs and COVID tests were more than the price of the ticket because of all the delays. Worst airline on the planet!!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Customer service is the worst. If you call during the week the wait is at least one hour to speak to someone and if you call on a weekend you have to wait at least two hours!!!! My young daughter's flight was canceled three times!!!! And finally, when she boarded her flight, her flight was delayed for one hour and she missed her connecting flight. The next flight they gave her was 5 hours later. She arrived at her destination at midnight when she was supposed to arrive at 6 pm. The United Airlines agent at her gate in Washington DC was extremely rude and miserable. Hey! She is lucky I wasn't there! Otherwise, I would have given her a piece of my mind! United Airlines let me tell you something, you are NOT reliable and you are careless. Please teach some of your workers to be pleasant and friendly. It is really simple!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

This airline is consistently unapologetic and unaccountable for delays, inaccurate updates, gate changes and poor customer service. With that said, they charge top dollar for tickets and refuse to issue a refund under any circumstances. It’s extremely disappointing. Use Delta or American, they at least own their mistakes.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I have had the absolute worst experience of my entire life flying with United. They are unreliable, unapologetic, and will not answer their phones. My experience is two-part (so far)... My first flight was cancelled mere hours before my flight (late at night with an early morning takeoff), with no alternative options for same-day flights. I was forced to buy a second ticket through another airline and have yet to be reimbursed by United. Additionally, United jacked up all their prices after cancelling hundreds of flights ($2k+ for a one-way ticket from DC to Houston) - the very definition of price gouging.

My return flight (I had purchased roundtrip) with United was delayed by an hour and a half after I had already gone through TSA security check. After that, we continued to be held outside the gate even longer than expected and were then subjected to sitting on the aircraft for 45 minutes without movement. We were then informed that a part was missing from the plane (maybe you should have figured that out before boarding everyone??) and everyone was forced to deplane. After waiting for 20-30 more minutes, we were informed that a new part would not arrive until 6:30pm, no other planes were available for use, and we were not guaranteed takeoff at 6:30pm if we stuck around.

All flight attendees then proceeded to rush to the customer service desk to find an alternative, and the best option I was offered was a next-day flight. I asked the agent to book this for me and she sent a travel itinerary. However, after searching my confirmation number on the United App I am being prompted that the flight does not exist and I will have to pay an additional $600 to get on any flight tomorrow. I have been on hold with customer support for over two hours now and no one will answer my chat/calls. Still not sure if the agent actually booked me on a flight, but guess I'm supposed to show up at the airport at 5:30am with no boarding pass?? United's treatment of their customers is abhorrent and embarrassing. I will NEVER fly United again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

My flight was cancelled, I got off the plane and was told to scan a barcode for customer service. I could not get it to work so I went to ask where customer service was located in the airport and all the rep could do was repeat scan the code. After her repeating scan the code 3 or 4 times without listening to me ask where customer service was, I was forced to yell at her then she gave me bad directions but I finally found it. There were only 2 customer service reps. There was a long line of people there so, many people could not get the scan to work. They could only get me on a flight the next night. I call customer service and they told me the same thing, but was told I should have been given a website name that would give me a discount online. Went back to the customer service counter and they said there was not such a thing.

After arguing with them they finally pointed to a small sticker on the glass where the name of the website was. I then asked if I would be refunded my money if I found another way back and was reassured I would be refunded for that portion of the flight. However was not given a refund code, they did not know how long it would take or how much the refund would be. When I arrived home on another airline that got me home earlier and much cheaper I found my own hotel room also. I called United Airlines and the agent had not put me in for a refund, so the customer service agent on the phone said she put it in for a discount, and once again no case number, amount or timeline was given. I still do not have a refund. United Airlines will not help you, they lie and steal from their customers. Not that it matters I flew first class and the tickets were not cheap.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

United Airlines did a fraud where they sucked my hard earned money of $2340. I am an old mileage plus member of United and they all mentally harassed me. Their site allowed me to use existing credit partially, their customer agents twice confirmed me that I will get my residual credit back and now they are back tracking from there. Shame on them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I traveled to Cameroon 2 weeks ago I am still very upset for paying $400 on an extra bag, When I left home, I was prepared to pay the required $200 for the extra bag, United Airlines (UA) told me since that extra bag is 11 pounds overweight (50+11 = 61 pounds in total), I must pay an additional $200, that was so unexpected and hard on me financially, I ask them why don't they charge per pound instead of having people paying 1extra pound as if it was a separate bag of 50 pounds? They say it their policy, yes, very crooked and nonsense policy, not different from stealing from customers.

That is not all, on my way back to the US, in the flight UA998, I fell asleep when the flight attendant was distributing snacks and drinks, when I woke up, I was thirsty and noticed that they gave drinks to travelers, I asked for a drink, they said to wait because the plane is prepared to land, I waited and they promised to give me a drink once we land.

I reminded them after we landed, the ** attendant said her co-worker refused and argued that they won't give drink to passengers to walk out the plane, I went and asked the ** attendant, she was drinking a cup of water herself and looked for what to say and finally replied the cabins are locked until the next flight, she just gave 2 different answers for the same request, I was very surprised that nowadays, people still find the courage to be so selfish even on a cup of water that I deserved as all other passengers. I concluded that it was an act of racism because I am ** myself. I will not recommend United Airlines and will never travel with them again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

This is my worst experience with United Airlines. My mother is coming all the way from India to Canada. She went to the office at least two times and they didn’t even inform her that she need to stay in USA for a day. They did not even send a email about this issue. What are you making money out of this? Is this how you treat your customers? This was not mentioned anywhere while booking the flights or communicated through any platform. This would be probably my last day booking through United Airlines. Definitely you would be losing customers in this way. This is my ever first time writing a review so that people get to know about the airlines. I really didn’t wanted my mother to suffer from all this situation as she was definitely not planned for this situation.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

On an early morning flight I brought my daughter, her father and brother to the airport. They had already checked in using the app, paid for checked luggage, had boarding passes, etc. We were running late but it’s a very tiny airport and there’s usually very little wait time. They went to drop off the bags to be checked, which had already been paid for, and again they already had their boarding passes etc. The ticket counter person adamantly refused to check the bags because we were past the cut off time by literally ONE minute. She even said, "You are one minute too late". This is someone traveling with two kids, and has Christmas presents for his family. I asked if there was any way to check the bags on a later flight going to the same destination. She said no.

Their flight got delayed due to weather. I asked if we could check the bags now since the flight was delayed. She said no. Then they announced that the flight could not take all the luggage because of the weight limitations, and that some of the luggage would need to be put on a different flight and arrive later. I asked if I could at least get their luggage included with the other luggage not going on that flight. She told me no. I asked her if she’d do anything at all to help me get their luggage to them, and she told me, "No, you should’ve gotten here earlier". We were literally one minute past the cut off at a very tiny airport with no lines. Her demeanor was very rude and unhelpful. Given the flight was delayed AND they ended up not putting all the luggage on that flight, I don’t see why she wouldn’t let us check the bags other than to punish us for being late. She could have definitely checked the bags.

Now two kids and their father are visiting family for 3 weeks with no clothes, no Christmas presents for their family, etc. I mean. Really. Yes. We should’ve gotten there earlier. But her behavior was not necessary and she could have checked the bags. They were already paid for, boarding passes already obtained, all she had to do was put them on the belt and add a label. We were ONE minute late. And then multiple instances arose where she could have easily allowed us to check the bags but simply refused, with a very rude demeanor.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

We were so disappointed to find that although United claims to follow strict masking guidelines this was NOT the case. On both flights...departure and return flights...once on board the plane, passengers would pull their masks under nose or chin and travel this way the entire trip. Returning we had a group of 8 come onboard all coughing and the masks pulled down on chin. Staff never asked them to wear masks correctly. So little disregard for their passengers prompts us not to "Fly the Uncaring skies of United."

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Our flight going was delayed with the threat of canceling for 6 hours as if it was a routine event. No help at the gate to get on different flight. The return flight was canceled at the last minute due to no crew. Gate person was nasty / claimed she put us on a Delta flight, but Delta had no record. No help from United. We were able to go stand by with Delta who was fantastic in helping. “Customer care” has ignored my written request for compensation even though United staff told me they provide it in cases like this. Phone staff says they can’t get me to a real person to talk to. My family and I have been a dedicated United traveler for decades. They do not care about their customers anymore, only care about nickel and diming you whenever they can. Delta airlines - great job showing them how it’s done!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Me and my family of 3 were flying United to Chicago and when we got into plane there was no room for our carry-on in the overhead compartment. We asked if she could find a place for at least 1 of the carry-on since we had newborn it would be hard to take care of all that. She did not even bother looking for space. We used our baby seat which was paid full price to put or carry on and then she comes and tells us we cannot do that and she said if we don’t wanna follow her instructions we can get out of the plane. Instead of helping and find a place for our carry-on or try to help us somehow to make our flight easier, she wanted to kick us out. I would never recommend United and I will not fly United ever again.

United Airlines Company Information