3.32/5
Based on 2,069 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I am 1K member in United Mileage Plus program and just received your latest updates aimed "...to better recognized our most loyal and frequent travelers..." I think your changes are designed to punish your loyal customers and chase them away from you airline. This program is already pretty bad, but you are making it much worse.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

My husband recently flew United Airlines into EWR. Flight was delayed an hr and when travel golf bag arrived it had a 13" inch rip and a shredded handle. It was late and he had to stay with the people traveling with him because the drive home is 3 hrs. So, he couldn't delay them more by reporting it late at night at the airport. I reported it 15hrs after the required 24hr time frame. So, I was told to go to an airport and see what they would offer or take a $100 travel certificate on United Airlines good for 1 yr. Supervisor offered no additional help. I wanted the value of the travel bag. I feel that the 24hr time period after a trip is inadequate. Damaged is damaged.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Lots of delayed flights and mismanagement at United airlines. It took me 3 days to reach my destination while it should take only 20 hours!!! United Airlines is well-known for its delayed flights along with a very bad customer service. Oh my goodness! I don’t recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have been a United customer for years and would have provided United with a five star review in the past. However, the past is the past, and this year United has dropped the ball. After several flights where United boarded the flight to then unboard the flight in order to complete maintenance on a plane that had been at the airport overnight has simply dropped my review of the airline. This is unacceptable and leaves customers frustrated and in a bind when it comes to connecting flights. I do give United credit for holding the planes for the travelers who were delayed due to these maintenance issues, as well as rescheduling the flights, but seriously United. Why wait until boarding to look at completing maintenance? I’m all for flight safety; however, United needs to review their processes.

Additionally, United completely changed our booked flights, two in a row, in which we scheduled an hour and a half layover and an arrival time at our destination at a specific time to where we then had a 35 minute layover, which could not be made, which then changed our travel plans. This is just unacceptable. As consumers we do have other options for flights, and sadly, this may be the time to look at booking with other airlines. One unhappy United customer.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I was originally on a non-stop flight from ORD to OGG. I was going with my dad (who I am a caregiver for) on the last vacation he was ever going to go on due to his health conditions. He was looking forward to this trip for 2 years now since he was sick and in the hospital last year and could not go on a vacation. My dad has severe COPD, so he has permanent constant oxygen that he needs in order to breathe.

I called United Airlines multiple times prior to our trip to ensure that his oxygen machine was FAA approved and we filled out paperwork for the machine to be sure we were all ready to go. We were told multiple times over the phone that there are working outlets on all planes so he can plug his machine in, and we were also told that if he runs out of batteries, there is no need to worry because there is always plenty of oxygen on the plane. We were told all of this prior to our vacation, so we thought we were ready to go and everything would be fine on our non-stop flight from ORD to OGG.

We had first class tickets (I paid $509.00 extra for mine when I checked in online). On June 29th, 2019, we boarded our non-stop flight from ORD to OGG. We tried the outlets and of course they did not work, so now we were going to have issues since we could not charge the oxygen machine on the flight. I spoke with lead flight attendants and the pilot, and they all assured me that there was no need to worry because they were having extra oxygen sent to the plane in case my dad’s batteries ran out. This took over an hour. Technicians needed to come on the plane to check the outlets, the pilot needed to wait for the extra oxygen, etc. After over an hour passed a few people came on the plane and demanded that we exit the plane because we could no longer be on this flight. They said we were a risk and that they will need to change our flights and have us stop at SFO so my dad could charge his batteries.

I explained that I spoke with the pilot and lead flight attendant and they both told me that everything was under control. The woman told us, “Well, they changed their minds”. How unprofessional of the pilot and lead flight attendant to not even come up to me in person and tell me that everything they initially said was all a lie. This was just the beginning.

After they kicked us off the plane and rescheduled the flight, they only left us with an hour layover. What good does that do? Each battery takes a couple of hours to charge and everyone that works for United Airlines that we spoke to knew this. They just wanted to get us off the plane and they did it in a way that did not benefit us whatsoever. We had to wait around for over an hour and my dad was not able to charge his batteries because we had to push him in his wheelchair all the way to the opposite side of the airport. We later got on a plane to head to SFO.

While we were at SFO, a flight attendant from the previous flight told us to talk to someone at the United Airlines Customer Service desk at the airport about being able to use oxygen on the flight. She told us that my dad will be able to use oxygen on the next flight. How convenient though that when it became our turn in line she disappeared and was never seen again. The man there told us that no passenger is ever allowed to use oxygen unless it is an absolute emergency. Every single person that works for United has told us a different story. So, he told my father that since it was United’s fault for not giving us a long enough layover when they rescheduled our flights, we had to get a hotel room in San Fran and possibly wait until the morning. Mind you, my dad has severe COPD, we have been traveling for 15 hours at this point, our luggage was already on the first plane to OGG, we have no rental car, and the list goes on.

This entire situation was the biggest joke I have ever experienced. Then, all of a sudden, a United Airlines staff member found another flight that left in 2.5 hours after the original flight we were rescheduled to be on. My dad was determined to take his last vacation, so he said this was fine. I paid for first class and did not receive first class. This was the crappiest plane that I have ever flown in to Maui. I have been trying to get even a partial refund from United Airlines, but they will not provide me with one. My parents paid over $7,000 for their first class tickets and only received $300 back and they were not in first class at all. United Airlines are a bunch of crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

The flight was delayed because a delay on the inbound. When it was finally time to board, they filled the plane up before dumping the inbound flight luggage. However this whole time the ground AC was apparently broken. So while all 200 and something of us are sat on the plane, waiting for them to dump one load of luggage and load out load, we are all sweating bullets in the hot plane. At this point the flight was so delayed anyways, let us sit in the terminal and then load us up once luggage is good. ESPECIALLY if you know the AC is broken. Shows how much they care about the customers. If they don’t beat you up they will just cook you on a plane.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Unfortunately we fly United all the time. But going forward that will be no more. Usually you just get the basic rudeness, lack of customer concern from your United employees. However this time was like no other. At Gate C72 flying from Newark to Minneapolis the rep at the Gate Blanca went out of her way to top any and all prior bad experiences with United. She felt the need on Sept 26, 2019 approximately 245PM to throw a power trip. She chose to embarrass my wife by pulling her out of line, singling her out, and be raiding her about the size of her personal item (which does fit underneath the seat as I have photos to prove it). She then wanted to stress that she should charge my wife for this but didn't have the time so she would make sure to mark her in the system for all future flights.

Threatening to embarrass my wife on future flights is part of the training manual at United. I am in shock, the only reason my wife has to remain calm is because the rep has all the power. If my wife fights back in any way she is in jeopardy of not boarding her plane and the rep know this. So a good old display of who has the power was on Blanca agenda for the day. Did I mention that she forced her to leave the line to walk back to the computers to talk more negatively to her and to once again let her know who is in charge and she should of paid for her bag. Who treats a customer like this.

I could understand if my wife was a hostile passenger, but she was not. In fact she was just excited to finally see her brother for the first time in over a year. Thanks to Blanca her trip starts off feeling embarrassed and humiliated in front of every other passenger boarding the plane. I forget isn't United the same airline that drags people off of planes. I guess my wife got it easy this time. Great Job Blanca and United another happy customer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Purchased air flights for husband and I to a vacation of a life time. Injury, extensive surgery and long painful recovery required us to cancel our trip. $1356.00 total airfare, Denver to NY and home. $200.00 per person person flight cancellation fee. Economy plus seats $110.00 per person per flight. Remainder of less than $200.00 put on a voucher must be used by March 2020. Letter from surgeon dictating no fly for spouse still wouldn't work. I'm devastated. We're retired, do not have the ability to forget about these lost funds. Medical bills now take priority. Called, emailed and begged for assistance. They refuse to respond.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Nashville to Newark. Missed a full day of school and thesis meetings because United failed to communicate that the flight was not going to take off due to delays. They kept stringing us along until I had to just bite the bullet and get a different ticket from Southwest. I woke up at 3 AM to make the 6 AM flight that has still failed to take off. Hands down my worst travel experience. Don't fly United!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Brought a Basic Economy from Expedia, to fly from Phoenix to Newark on Sept 7, 2019 but was mislead by thinking I was getting a better deal by purchasing a fly with United. My experience: I tried to check in online but couldn’t get past the “check luggage” box, which I didn’t want because I was using a small carry-on. Message said to go to ticket counter upon arrival at airport. There I was told by one of the attended I couldn’t do a carry-on on a basic economy flight and must pay additional $30 to get a boarding pass. A second attendant went on to insulting me by saying it was my fault for buying a Basic economy ticket. I did not know that United had instilled this practice on Basis economy tickets of not allowing carry-ons, but I thought United was one of the big boys. I flew American a few days earlier with no carry-on issues. I won’t fly United again.

United Airlines Company Information