1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2308 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Airline bookings have become easier and more complex in this internet era. I recently booked a flight to Peru from Seattle using one major travel booking service, but they couldn't offer a convenient and affordable return flight. So, I booked on a competitor. These two flight bookings involved five different airlines - the last of which was United (LAX to SEA).

As Murphy would have predicted, the third carrier (first booking) changed their schedule offering an alternative that arrived TEN hours later. This caused a "domino effect" which prevented me from making the return connection at LAX by an hour. The third carrier (at fault) offered a full refund. The fourth carrier (which couldn't accommodate a change) cordially offered a refund. United said they would allow a change for $200, but that was more than their LAX to SEA flight had cost. I'll book on Alaska instead - they have a heart (and earn their awards as the best domestic airline).

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We took only a carry on, no checked luggage to avoid unnecessary delays at the airport. Upon boarding the aircraft they took our carry-on as they said the overhead compartments were full. Once the aircraft was fully boarded, we were told there is a delay while they service the front strut on the plane. During the flight the WiFi didn't work. We arrived in Denver late and had to run through the airport to catch our next flight to Rapid City. We were too late to board, but they said it doesn't matter as the flight was going to be canceled for bad weather. When the flight was canceled we decided to drive to Rapid City, we requested our carry-on luggage which we should have had with us but United took it from us.

It took United Airlines 3 hours and 15 minutes to get the luggage from the canceled flight to the claim area. The staff was rude and uncaring, they said it can take up to 4 hours. Not 1 United employee apologized in any way for the canceled flight or the delay in retrieving our luggage. We paid $328.80 per ticket and United Airlines gave us a measly $101.94 back as a refund, for a flight they never provided. United Airlines service is terrible and they will rip you off! All appeals just fell on deaf ears. F- The only thing they got right is we landed safely in Denver Colorado, halfway to our destination.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Due to flight complications I missed my connecting flights out of San Francisco. It was the Christmas weekend and I was on my way to see family. Needing a hotel for two nights and the customer services lines long and full of angry holiday travelers, I opted to pay for my own hotel instead of waiting in line for 6 hours for a hotel voucher. On a whim I submitted my receipts along with the circumstances as to why I got my own hotel to United after I had traveled home. Not expecting anything, just thought I'd give it a shot. Not only did they refund my 2-night hotel stay, they also gave me a very generous travel voucher. They did not question my reasoning and were very nice and responded quickly.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

So many things went wrong that I don't think there will be room to write it all in the space given. Our flight from Barcelona to Newark (to Columbus) was on an 8 hour delay! United "helpline" rebooked me on a flight to Frankfurt on their sister airline Lufthansa- get to the airport and it is full. Lufthansa tells me he doesn't know why United puts people on full flights!

I try to rebook my old flight and ask Lufthansa where United counter is located. I am told it doesn't matter because United doesn't have any counter/customer service people in Barcelona. I have to call. It gets worse! They won't rebook me because the plane flight is closed because it is after the original flight time. I must stay the night in Barcelona even though my original flight is half full and still SIX hours from taking off. Then they lose my luggage and my daughter's luggage! Think long and hard before flying United. I would give United ZERO stars but you must at least put 1 star. From start to finish everyone was rude and incompetent.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

*** DO NOT FLY UNITED AIRLINES! *** STAY AWAY FROM UNITED AND DO YOURSELF A FAVOR! They will SCAM you, lie to you, will promise you promises that they will not keep and then never respond to your calls and emails or take responsibility for their mistakes. They are the most unethical AIRLINE out there! And I am not the only one saying this...read up about them online!!! See how many people are saying similar things to what I am saying.

Back in JUNE, their customer service representative has promised me that if I cancel my flight I will receive a certain amount of money back in CREDIT for future flights with United. I was very hesitant and wasn't sure I wanted to do so, but their customer service representative was so persistent and stubborn about it, that she convinced me and I agreed.

The customer service representative told me that I will see my credit in my online-account to use for future flights. The next day, when I checked to see, I realized the credit that was PROMISED to me was simply not there!!! Thinking that it was a "technical glitch", I called them back to get this fixed, yet no one was willing to help. For weeks and months afterwards, after endless calls to customer service and endless emails, contacting managers, etc...no was willing to do anything to help! I was shocked!! Such a big AIRLINE not willing to take responsibility for: 1. What they have promised me. 2. Their mistake. Or was it a way to SCAM me out???

You just feel hopeless, used and SCAMMED!!! With NO ONE to talk to! It’s unfathomable!!! But I am going to go all the way with this thing, will not stop until they realize what they did. I will not give up, I have my lawyers all over this thing and I am going to turn this into a MAJOR SOCIAL NETWORK AND MEDIA FRENZY!!! I will reach CNN news if I have to let the world know how I was treated by UNITED AIRLINES. They will never respond to you and will never allow you to even explain your needs. They have the worst customer service.

One CAN NOT EVEN REACH the customer service dept., even if you wanted to. There is no phone number, you can only send them an e-mail, which they will not respond to on purpose. They have way too much power over the customer and allow themselves to do as they please. United Airlines are liars and thieves, they will lie and scam you if they can and then later, they will not take responsibility for their lies and mistakes. Please spend your money ELSEWHERE, Go to a different airline, one that gives good customer service, apologizes for their misleading, misinformation and mistakes and will GIVE YOU exactly what their customer service representative has promised you.

Please pass this MESSAGE on to whoever you think this could help. Thank you dearly to whoever read this. Pass this on to others. I just hope I was able to “save” and help other people. God bless! If anyone needs help with a similar case, I will be happy to add it to my case. Feel Free to contact me via the email that is listed below. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Kudos to United Airlines for refunded my canceled flight to San Francisco. It was a trip scheduled for Thanksgiving at which time the Paradise City fire in California blanketed San Francisco in smoke for days. The flight insurance I had purchased, (Generali Global), refused to reimburse me saying the smoke was not their fault. United came to my rescue. Thank you. I will add the American Airlines also refunded my canceled return from San Francisco to Maine ticket for the same reason. I am grateful.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Re: Delayed Baggage from United Flight 5204 on January 2, 2019 (or “How Much Wrong Information Can One Company Give Out in 24 Hours”). BAGGAGE/FILE REFERENCE: **. I never write these sorts of complaints. But my experience with your company was so exceedingly bad that I was compelled to submit a written complaint on this occasion. I was booked and traveled on United Airlines Flight 5204 from Aspen Colorado to Houston Texas – a direct flight. I do not live in Houston. I live in Dallas, but had traveled to/from Aspen/Houston because I spent Christmas in Houston. Flying United from Houston to Aspen direct seemed like the efficient thing to do. That was a big mistake.

On January 2, Flight 5204 was originally scheduled to depart Aspen at 1:40 pm and arrive in Houston at 5:13 pm. However, we were delayed in Aspen multiple times. Nevertheless, I arrived at the airport according to the original departure time, just in case. As a result I checked my bag approximately 3 hours before the ultimate departure time. Once on the plane, take off was further delayed because the plane was too heavy and was required to burn off fuel. (I also suspect that bags were removed and/or not placed on the flight due to weight restrictions.). I did not arrive in Houston until approximately 8 pm. After proceeding to the baggage claim area, I discovered that my bag had not arrived. I proceeded to the baggage claim desk.

WRONG INFORMATION #1 and #2: The United agent at the baggage desk told me my bag was in Denver. She was not able to explain why it was sent to Denver, but my instinct tells me that passengers who were connecting through Houston had their bags placed on the Aspen flight and those of us for whom Houston was deemed the “final” destination, were less urgent and therefore those bags were rerouted through Denver.

I ask if there was a possibility that the bag might yet arrive in Houston that night. The agent said “No, there are no more flights out of Denver tonight. I will direct it to be on the first flight in the morning, leaving Denver at approximately 5:50 am and arriving in Houston at approximately 9:50 am.” (WRONG INFORMATION #1). The agent asked for a local delivery address. I provided my sister's home address in Houston, but I further explained that I lived in Dallas and would be driving home in the morning, with the airport in my direct driving path. The agent said that I would receive a notice when my bag ultimately arrived and that I could ask that it be kept at the airport rather than sent to the outside delivery service (WRONG INFORMATION #2). She provide me with a Delayed Baggage Report and I then left the airport.

WRONG INFORMATION #3, #4, #5 and #6: At 8:33 am the following morning, I received a text message reading “** has picked up your baggage from George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport. You will be notified when your baggage is sent out.” Seeing immediately that this was contrary to what I had been told the previous evening, I called the toll-free number on the Delayed Baggage Report provided by the baggage claim agent. I spoke to Remote Operator 1 at a call center somewhere in India and explained the situation. I said that I had been told that I could ask for the bag to stay at the airport for pickup. She placed me on hold and then returned to explain that it was too late; the bag was already at an offsite warehouse, waiting for pickup by the outside delivery service. She could not provide me with an estimated delivery time. I then asked to be transferred to a supervisor (Supervisor 1).

After explaining the situation to Supervisor 1, he placed me on hold, and then returned to say that he had spoken to the delivery service and that taking my bag back to the airport would take “too long.” He advised that I should stay at the delivery address listed on my claim form. He said that he explained to the delivery service that I needed to drive home to Dallas, and therefore they were placing an “expedited” delivery request on my bag. He said I would receive the bag by 1:30 pm (WRONG INFORMATION #3). He said that I could accurately track the status of my bag's delivery on Wheresmysuitcase.com (WRONG INFORMATION #4). After the call, I went to that website and indeed it told me that the bag was “Out for Delivery” (WRONG INFORMATION #5) and “Delivering 1 bag today by 1:30 pm (WRONG INFORMATION #6).

WRONG INFORMATION #7, #8, #9, and #10: 1:30 pm came and went with no arrival of my bag. At approximately 2:30 pm, I called the toll-free number and was once again routed to a call center in India. After explaining my situation, the Remote Operator 2 said they were experiencing technical difficulties with respect to the delayed baggage database, he could not help me, and could I call back in an hour. Based on the fact that I called back in five minutes and spoke to a Remote Operator 3 in India who did not claim technical difficulties, I suspect this was WRONG INFORMATION #7. Remote Operator 3 told me that my bag was still at the warehouse, was being loaded for delivery, and would be delivered by 5 pm (WRONG INFORMATION #8).

I explained to her that both Supervisor 1 and Wheresmysuitcase.com indicated that the bag was already out for delivery by 1:30 pm. She said, “the website is frequently incorrect”– ACCURATE STATEMENT #1! I asked why United would refer its customers to a website that is “frequently incorrect” and she could not answer. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. She placed me on hold and said she had “spoken to a supervisor” but that he was on another call and could not help me. I asked how she could speak to a supervisor who was on another call, and she could not explain. I opined that there was likely more than one supervisor on duty, and asked to be directed to one who was not “on another call.”

I was placed on hold and ultimately transferred back to Supervisor 1, with whom I had spoken in the morning. I reminded him that he had told me (1) that he had spoken directly to the delivery service and (2) that he/they had said my bag would be delivered by 1:30 pm. He placed me on hold, and then came back to say that “bad weather” in Houston (WRONG INFORMATION #9) had delayed baggage delivery and that my bag was in fact still at the warehouse. I explained that although there had been a light shower in Houston that morning, it was long over, and also not unusual or severe. I asked for local Houston phone number I could call. He said the best he could do was patch in the delivery service.

After placing me on hold, he and another individual purporting to be with the delivery service got on the line together. The delivery service representative confirmed my cell phone number and said he would call me back in 5 minutes (WRONG INFORMATION #10). The call then ended around 3 pm. WRONG INFORMATION #11, #12, #13: By 3:40 pm, I had not received a call back from the local delivery service. I once again called the toll free number and was on hold for some time, waiting for an operator. Meanwhile, the Wheresmysuitcase.com website continued to say that my bag would be delivered by 1:30 pm. (WRONG INFORMATION #11). Once I reached Remote Operator 3, I asked that individual to consult the notes on my account and to transfer me to Supervisor 1. He did so.

I explained to Supervisor 1 that I had not received the call back in 5 minutes previously promised. He place me on hold and returned to say that someone at the delivery service had gotten busy and forgot to call me. While on the line with Supervisor 1, my phone rang with a call from “Samwell” at the delivery service. Like Supervisor 1, Samwell attempted to excuse the delay in delivery on “bad weather” in Houston (WRONG INFORMATION #12). He said that my bag was being delivered by a Miss ** and that it would arrive at my delivery address in Houston by 5:30 pm.

I explained that so far absolutely nothing promised by United or its representatives had transpired as promised. I asked him if the bag was not delivered by 5:30 pm, would I be required to once again go through the Indian call center. He then assured me that my bag would be delivered by 5:30 pm by “Miss **” and he further gave me her phone number. He said if I had any questions or concerns about the delivery I could call the number and speak to Miss **. (WRONG INFORMATION #13). The first time I attempted the number, I received a “this is not a working number” message. The next time I called, I received silence followed by “Please leave your message at the sound of the tone.” I left my name and phone number at the tone and explained the reason for my call, but received no return phone call.

When the delivery person Miss ** finally arrived (after 5:30 pm) she was driving her personal vehicle with only my luggage in her trunk. When I told her everything I had been through and that one of the many excuses I had been given was “bad weather in Houston” she just shook her head and laughed and drove away. She didn't even try to excuse the lies I had been fed. This is the epitome of unprofessionalism and incompetence. I will avoid flying United at all costs in the future.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Cathy ** answered my phone call to my lost iPad when I phoned United baggage lost and found at Newark NY airport and walked and got it herself. She is outstanding, empathetic and found it for me. I am eternally grateful and she is the ideal United employee. Please give her recognition! Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My flight had been booked for several days. Round trip in one very long day that began at 3 am. Our plane was supposed to board at 6:50. However, after we waited and waited, they announced at 7pm that our flight would be delayed a half hour. I chose to get a meal at a nearby restaurant while I waited for this delay, and reported back by 7:18. However, when I arrived to the gate to check in, I was declined admission and informed that they gave away my seat. We still have several minutes until take off (7:30 pm due to a half hour delay), and I had waited for over 2 hours for this flight.

The attendants unapologetically denied me the $300 seat I had reserved days in advance. They were willing to do absolutely nothing to remediate the situation. It is completely unacceptable that they could unrightfully give away my paid for seat to someone else after they delayed the flight at the last second like they did, and still would not give me my seat despite me being present at the delayed boarding time. I don’t understand how this is acceptable behavior or customer service.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Four days ago I arrived home to Seattle after a round trip flight with United to Sydney Australia, it was undoubtedly the worse travel experience of my life having flown the same route over twenty times. (I am Australian having lived in the USA for forty-two years.) To begin with the flight attendants appeared to be in their late fifties and into their sixties. This wouldn't be a problem as I am in my sixties and still working but their attitudes and level of service was atrocious. They barked at the passengers with not even a hint of civility, they would serve a meal (2 in 15 hours) then twenty minutes later would come down the aisle with something to drink to wash the slop down. Obviously they were short handed as it's usual that a drink cart would immediately follow the food cart, not United.

In addition the Boeing 687 Dreamliner was designed (per United ordered layout), more like a Nightmareliner. The aisle ways are extremely narrow obviously to accommodate more seats but didn`t accommodate the extremely large and wide buttocks of two of the flight attendants (two and of the four in economy in both directions). These wide posteriors would be constantly bashing into passengers sitting in an aisle seat as was I. Obviously United Airlines has low standards for their flight attendants and disdain for their passengers. I will never fly United again and have been making a point of telling everyone I can of this wretched airline.

United Airlines Company Information

1926
233 S. Wacker Dr.
Chicago
IL
www.united.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.