3.6/5 (564 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I booked through Priceline. 1st mistake. Canceled flight. United wouldn't refund even though the flight is still 3 months away. Yet I know Priceline can get the refund money. Won't credit it back to you either. Some law should be put into place where they just can't take our money and brush us off. Sent both priceline and United all information needed. Didn't even want the money back. Just credit it to me so I could use at another time. No go.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I had recently been in a motorcycle accident and upgraded to first class seats to accommodate my injuries/disabilities. My first issue is that the staff refused to help me lift my bags into the overhead compartment, despite signage indicating that they would be "happy to." This violates federal disability regulations at the very least.

Then, on the return trip, the first flight (Durango to Denver) was majorly delayed, causing me to miss my connection. I was automatically rebooked to a middle seat, which I could not do with my severe injuries. They also refused to hold the 2nd plane, so I had to run across the Denver airport in under 6 minutes with 2 bags and many severe injuries. This caused pain and suffering beyond most people's worst nightmares for the entire flight between Denver and Newark. It also caused my recovery to take longer, so I was out of work for longer and nearly lost my job.

I also lost my in-flight meal, which I was depending on after a day of a lot of difficulty at the hands of United. Then, they refused to refund me the cost of the first class upgrade, even though I had been automatically rebooked to a middle seat. Overall, I will NEVER fly United again and may never fly again period after this experience. It also ruined the entire vacation for me, as now I am just filled with anger towards United. I strongly recommend you fly another airline.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

United Airlines does not provide any support to passengers like me traveling with Infant Baby. They are not going to provide bassinet (smaller aircraft), not allow me to bring my bassinet, not willing to get me a seat where I can get enough leg room to carry my baby on my lap. They just want your money and asking to pay for every minor thing. What a money grab airlines!!! Do NOT recommend this airlines for any future travel. Supervisor - Adrain, was extremely rude and non-cooperative, not willing to consider the situation or help in any ways, even if the flight is mostly vacant. I'd like to report this airlines for zero customer service and pathetic policies.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

My experience with United Airlines was tainted from the very beginning. I book a vacation for my husband and I and 2 of our grandchildren in January, 2022. I had the flights all set, A month or so later the schedule changed which was not a big deal. About 3 weeks prior to our international flight to Berlin I looked at our flight schedule. They had us on two flights out of Chicago O'Hare on the same day. It took 30-45 minutes to correct this. Upon our arrival at the airport on the day of departure, the baggage was only booked to our first location of Newark. Another 2 hours getting them to understand that we were ticketed to Berlin and not ending our journey in Newark.

Upon embarking onto the plane, I was informed my carry on needed to be checked. I explained to them it could not be as it had medicine in it for my spouse. I was told it had to be checked and was not given an option to remove anything we needed and that it had to be checked at the gate. When I boarded the aircraft I saw 2-3 areas this could have gone. When we arrived in Berlin, the gate checked luggage did not..the one with all the meds....So another 2 or more hours looking for luggage and filing lost baggage claim.

The next day it indicated my luggage was in Berlin at the airport...Another 2-3 hours lost...it was NOT there. By then I had spent $101.10 Euros to go back and forth to my hotel. Now, I had to spend hours on the phone, and shopping to replace necessities and trying to find physician to replace meds. Then united tells me they will not reimburse me for meds or my travel to and from the airport, Those hours were taken away from the events planned by my grandchildren and I. Now it is 20 days later and I still do not have my luggage. Their solution was to pay for essentials only and give me a $240 voucher which expired at the end of this year. I was also told in Berlin I could not file a claim until 21 days passed. When I returned home, I was told I had to file within the 21 days.

I have finally got them to pay for travel to airport and back and meds but $240 voucher is a slap in the face after all we went thru with them, This disrupted our entire vacation with our granddaughters...UNACCEPTABLE. Luggage lost 8/1 now it is 8/22...no luggage. I have filed a claim but with their history, I am not confident that they will make this right with me. I will NEVER fly United again...and if you are considering using them maybe you need to rethink it...THEY DON'T CARE!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I was about to go to Africa the morning of August 17th,2022. United was my local connection between MPLS to Chicago. My destination country was asking negative Covid test which we had but United employee who seemed to be enjoying denying boarding for at least three other Travelers both going to same destinations said, "Your Covid test don’t have QRC code." This Airline is enforcing a rule foreign country in which we already complied with. To add insult to injury, they reported that we were No Show. To re- book the flight now The online Agent is asking $4,300. I saved this money for three years.

Original review: July 28, 2022

My confirmation Number: **. This concern is around my return flight from Denver to SJC for which I did not get a survey request. My return flight from Denver to SJC was at 4 pm on July 24 and with a delay, of 2.5 hours at 6:30 pm, I boarded the flight. Then the captain announced they were looking for a "replacement captain." Then after making us wait on the flight for 30-40 mins they asked us to go to another gate B15 because the flight which I boarded got canceled. Then when I went to B15 and waited in line for 30 mins. The gate agents asked us to get to gate 22. Then when I went to B22 and waited in line for 15 mins. The gate agents asked us to go to gate 16. And the agents in gate 16 started abusing the captain/pilot for sharing wrong information with us as the flights were canceled.

Finally, they said to meet customer service at gate 43 to reschedule the flight. By the time I rescheduled the flight, it was midnight at 11:45 pm. And I was not provided hotel/accommodation/food all this while and the "United" agents blamed air traffic controller for all these delays and confusions!! Crazy isn't it? And since it was too late I had a make hotel arrangements at 12:15 am for my safety and spent $450 as no one was ready to give rooms because it was past midnight. For all this mess "United" Airlines did not take any responsibility. Wow!!! Would you recommend United Airlines to a friend, relative or colleague?

Original review: July 24, 2022

Bought tix to fly to Ca to see my sister who was dying with liver cancer. I paid for trip insurance via Expedia. She died before I could get there. Called to cancel my reservations. Was told that both United & Delta have a policy that if you are stupid & poor enough to fly economy class, they don’t honor trip insurance. Seriously? They knew when I purchased the flights what class I had booked. Then offered me the option of travel insurance knowing it wouldn’t do me any good at all? Hell will freeze over before I will book with United, Delta or via Expedia. $1400 down the drain.

Original review: July 24, 2022

My flight was delayed from SNA to Denver on 7/23. I checked online for flight change options and called United. I was told there were no other options to RIC available online or with a United representative by phone who advised I book a hotel and then submit a refund request. I took the delayed flight to Denver, knowing I couldn't connect until 7/24. However, the United SNA rep told me I was MISADVISED by the United phone rep. She said I COULDN'T BOOK MY HOTEL and that she COULD have booked a rerouted flight on 7/23. Really?! She advised me to go to Denver and that she'd authorize a hotel voucher. No transportation to the hotel.

On 7/24, I arrived in Denver on time, but TSA delays forced me to leave the pre-check line and go through regular check-in. I missed my flight even though I ran miles to the gate. The flight rep at gate A73 was extremely RUDE to me and UNPROFESSIONAL. I left the gate exhausted and in tears. She told me it was my fault and yelled at me. The flight was still there, she’d given my seat away and said I missed the flight because I didn’t arrive on time. She yelled at me and this is completely unacceptable. This United series of mistakes cost me additional dollars and major stress. I will avoid flying United in the future. I take teams of individuals on trips as part of my job. I will not choose United for these teams. I’ve spent nearly $300 in additional costs. This is unacceptable, based on United employees' incompetence, and is poor customer service.

Original review: July 19, 2022

My original flight that was supposed to arrive in Eugene at 4pm was cancelled and they put me on a new set of flights that added 4+ hours to my travels and has me arriving at 9pm. By the time they put me on the new flight, all the free seats were taken so I had to pay $100+ Extra just to secure seats on both these flights for the cheapest available seats. I arrive with my carry on that I have used as a carry on over 4 times with United and at the gate they tell me it is too large and make me pay an additional $45 for it to be checked. I am very disappointed that I have to pay all this extra money when United messed up and cancelled my flight to begin with. At the very least I should have been offered free seats since I had free seats on my previous cancelled flight.

Original review: July 18, 2022

They damaged my stuff beyond repair and refused to compensate. I spoke with absolutely everyone and they said I'm out of luck. Infuriating and completely unacceptable. DO NOT fly with this airline. Oh, the useless people I dealt with are Dennis ** and Ariane **.

Original review: July 13, 2022

Both flights of my trip were cancelled and messed up. I want refunded for my flight costs, plus reimbursed for the hotel costs. My Friday flight was cancelled, and I was not booked on the next flight. They booked me for the 5:33 pm flight and not the earlier ones. I waited standby for 2 flights since I was already at the airport at 8:30 am, the third one I was going to wait standby got cancelled but finally made it on the 5:33 pm flight. I was 7 hrs late getting to Newark airport and I missed half of my Friday event. I also missed a full day of work on Monday because they cancelled my Sunday flight.

The United Airlines customer service person at the Newark airport couldn’t give me a voucher for the Sunday night hotel that I was now going to have to get since my return flight had also been cancelled while I was flying to Jersey. They also hadn’t booked me for the next available flight but one that was 24 hours later than my original one, then while I was waiting in line about the voucher that rebooked flight was cancelled and they tried to rebook me for Tuesday morning flight (I would have had to stay 2 nights & miss 2 days of work).

I was able to get them to book me on one of the earlier flights on Monday when I got to the counter however they could not give me a voucher for hotel. They gave me a number to call to get a voucher. I called and they said they couldn’t give me any voucher over the phone, and I would have to book a hotel and pay for it myself and then would need to try to get reimbursed after my trip. I have tried to get a refund on my flight and to get reimbursed for the hotel, but they denied it. I put in for the refund and filled out 3 Customer care feedback forms to try to get reimbursed but nothing. I even tried to contact the CEO by email and got no response either.

I want my refund for the flight and reimbursed for the hotel. Again, I was 7 hrs late getting there and missed half of my event, had to pay for hotel and missed a day of work. They denied my hotel reimbursement and I have requested multiple time mam’s copy of the phone conversation where the agent lied to me saying I would be reimbursed. Of course they are refusing my request for the proof that they lied. No surprise there. I am going to have to file a lawsuit against them to get that phone conversation and prove they lied and get my money back for hotel and pain and suffering for all this time I am wasting dealing with them. I suggest never fly with United Airlines. They are greedy crooks who lie to you over and over again. And they discriminate too.

Kathryn

Original review: July 8, 2022

Absolutely ** service as on your corporate website, as in air. Try to update my return flight data just right away I booked, it's not allowed me!! Try to cancel flight they want $250 FEE!!!! This is insane greedy and ridiculous tactic to make money from nothing. I swear God this is my last flight with them.

Original review: July 5, 2022

My suitcase got damaged beyond repair. They offered a multiple-use voucher to use on ALL Airlines all over the world. I got the voucher but valid only once on United. No use to me as I live in EU. Lie.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I paid extra money for "Economy Plus" seats and I was sat in standard seats. This is not good business practices. I feel like I was cheated out of my money. Why upsell me on a better seat and then not honor it? This is blatantly misleading to consumers, and I'll be telling everyone I know how terrible United is with honoring their bookings.

Original review: June 30, 2022

To the future customers of United airlines: On June 30th, we were flying from Albany, NY to California with a 6 month old and a puppy. This being our baby’s and pet’s first flight, we were really excited and were looking forward to a pleasant journey. We had already communicated with the United Airlines regarding the dimensions of the pet carrier and purchased one accordingly. Please see the attached screenshot of chat history. Check in went smoothly and we passed the security gates without any hassle. However as soon as we boarded the flight, we were very rudely stopped by a flight attendant - Dave ** and informed that we won’t be able to fly because of the size of the pet carrier.

Shortly thereafter, we were asked to take our seats and boarding continued. The same flight attendant, very rudely repeated in stern words multiple times that we will not be allowed to fly and we were ushered out of the plane with a pet and a crying infant. We were traumatized, disturbed and insulted. We will never ever fly with United. Under the pretense of following rules, we were subjected to a lack of basic human courtesy!!! What should have been a pleasant journey turned out to be a nightmare. Please be aware that UNITED doesn’t care about passengers with families and pets. TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Original review: June 30, 2022

I had booked my tickets for EWR to Mumbai direct flight for which I had paid 1600$. United cancelled my flight just weeks before my flight saying it's not flying because of war issue and gave me 1 stop flight. And they know you going to take that option as vacation time and ticket prices going up. So we did that. Just days before my flight they cancel my stop flight and now they giving me 2 stop flight plus I will have to pay extra for my baggage as it will be domestic flight. But if they not flying why can I still buy tickets on various websites. That means they canceling flights of customers who booked at lower price. They should be fined. Finally I am paying more money and my journey is going to be longer. I would not recommend this airline to anyone. The government should check why are they overbooking if they can't provide the service and put us in trouble.

Original review: June 26, 2022

United Airlines represents everything that is wrong in air travel. United does not understand that they are not just flying planes, they are transporting PEOPLE. People is a word that United Airlines does not know. I could write a book on how many absurd situations I have already faced with United. Once my plane just left 30 min of what was announced in ORD, leaving behind half of the people in that flight. Once, at SFO, I spent 2 hours inside of the airplane in the tarmac because there were 3 other United planes broken in the gates preventing us to disembark. Just to mention a few. I have way more United horror stories to tell.

The current situation was the traditional United Airlines flight cancellation to the next day, letting passengers know in the last minute. It took me and my wife two hours standing in the check-in counter in LAS until they could figure out what was happening. The United representative was unbelievably rude and unprofessional (like all the United representatives I ever faced in airports), laughing of us when we asked a printed hotel confirmation, since we did not have internet access in our phones. It was a very humiliating situation. I called customer service to ask if the 2nd baggage I have previously purchased had been transferred to the new flight. The united representative was extremely confusing and clearly did not know what he was talking about. Terrible. If you want to ruin your vacations or lose business meetings, fly United! I am never flying United again.

Original review: June 18, 2022

United Airlines cancelled my flight to El Paso Texas. I was going to a family wedding, my wife and son were already there. They said because their employees were overworked. The return flight, I just needed myself removed and my ticket refunded. They would not refund my ticket after cancelling my flight. I would not even be there to take the return flight because they cancelled my flight to get there. The agents working the desks at the airport went to hide for 30+ minutes before they sent out the final cancelation email notice like a bunch of **. No one reached out in any way to offer another flight or how to get there. What a piece of ** airline. They're working their employees like dogs. It's because they lost a ton of great employees because they tried to force vaccinate them and making them wear masks. What a piece of ** airline.

Original review: June 15, 2022

We boarded the plane on time only to sit for 3h. We were introduced to the crew, followed by the announcement there was a maintenance issue. Clearly, this was known prior to boarding since it was an immediate announcement. After a while, we were told the wrong part was attempted and we had to wait for the right part. We finally taxied to the runway only to sit again. 3rd announcement from the crew was that there was another problem with some gas indicator light and they couldn't fix it on the runway. We had to taxi back to the gate for fixing.

The plane was full, people were annoyed and cramped. It was a flight to Italy which was already going to be a long one. I can only believe that planes with issues are still boarded on time for statistical purposes. This is a huge customer dissatisfier! Also, while I appreciate transparency and frequent updates, I don't need to know that the wrong part was brought out to the plane initially. For one of my daughters, this was her first flight. I am grateful that our return to home flight was smooth! But, I am extremely dissatisfied with our flight out.

Original review: May 26, 2022

United Airlines is a terrible company, and I'll be sure to never fly with them. You shouldn't either. I recently paid for a plane ticket to meet someone in Nashville. That person lied to me, and after finding out, I quickly contacted United and the other airline to let them know that I had been lied to, and requested my money back. It wasn't any fault of the airlines, but I sent pictures of the messages, requested it before the date of the flight, and was told that because I bought a non-refundable ticket they weren't going to reimburse me. The day after the flight, I got an e-mail from Expedia saying that the flight was cancelled. I have requested another refund, and am awaiting a response. In the meantime, I'll be leaving this same bad review everywhere I can.

Original review: May 22, 2022

My whole vacation was ruined by United Airlines. I booked well in advance to get a deal only to be bumped and my seat sold to another customer for a higher price. I am now out my hotel deposit and car rental. I either shorten my vacation and lose money or cancel my vacation and lose money. How is this not illegal?

Original review: May 4, 2022

Called to use voucher, used United Airlines 1800 tel number,, got a confirmation email from United Airlines. When it was time to fly away it turned out to be a none existing booking, United blames it on 3rd party answers the phone, I paid for new tickets double, had a wedding to get to and hotel reservations paid for. United Airlines must take full responsibility for their actions.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Our flight was cancelled due to operational problems. I was notified on my phone and after going to several terminals, could not find a person to help me try to reschedule. I finally went to the United Club lounge, and was told they were short staffed. Our travelers are elderly and are smart phone handicapped. She reluctantly assisted us, even though she said she wasn't supposed to

Original review: April 27, 2022

Flight attendants make you feel comfortable. This is the first time I felt so comfortable flying overseas. They don't lose your luggage and arrives in good condition. Excellent service. I will travel with them again.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Mechanical failure was the phrase of the day. This should have been an easy flight from Detroit to a connection in Denver to our final destination in Jackson Hole. Instead, after two delays on the first flight and two delays on the second, followed by a cancelation for the second (after sitting on the roasting hot plane for 90 minutes while they "fixed" the mechanical failure), they told us we couldn't take off due to weather. My co-traveler and I were on a business trip we could no longer make as a result. We were ushered to a customer service line directly outside the gate. We were literally led by an airline worker and told to stay there until it was our turn in line.

Over an hour later (we were next in line, by the way), another airline worker, brand new to the situation, barked at us and told us we were in the wrong line. "Go back to this other line," she demanded. We tried to explain (as did the other passengers also in line with us) that we were all on the same cancelled flight and specifically asked to be in this line. Other airline workers were trying to tell her the same. She would not listen and again demanded we go to the back of a completely different line. Another worker moved us forward to the desk to help us. She turned to another customer (not her co-workers for some reason) and asked if we has always been in line in front of him. He was like, "Yes, they've been standing in line over an hour." I said, "See, we were told to be here." Again, she barked, and said, "I wasn't talking to you!"

Her name was C. ** and she not only doesn't know how to listen, but also doesn't know the first thing about customer service. Moreover, the root of this problem is that one hand of United didn't know what the other was doing. Why was this woman barking orders when there was another who had already organized us where she needed us to be? All of this after the day from H*ll. United needs to get organized, get working planes, pay their employees more, train them better, actually care about customer service like they claim to...and write up C. ** who works at the Denver Airport with concierge services.

Original review: April 5, 2022

We booked and chose seats 3 weeks prior to our trip. Plane from O’hare to Denver was virtually empty so we moved from our economy seats to economy plus and we were told we had to stay in our own section. Really? Stupid policy that will keep this airline from creating brand advocates.

Original review: March 31, 2022

For some crazy reason that nobody at United can explain, I can't online check in for an international flight (in Polaris/first/business class no less). I can't even use a kiosk. I have to go down to the bowels of the airport to a special desk to check in. This is ridiculous. I've spent hours on the phone trying to resolve it, but none of the Customer Service folks even care to TRY to solve my problem. I'm done. After 30 years of flying United, I will avoid them like the plague from now on. I'm cancelling my Club card (gets me into their crappy clubs), and going with ANY other airline I can fly.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I traveled on United roughly 1 month ago and have never been so disappointed with an airline. Not only did I arrive at my destination 2 days late because of delays (non-weather related) causing me to miss my connecting flights, but they made a mistake on my departure and only issued 1 ticket while 2 were originally booked. This caused me to depart a day later than planned which resulted in additional expenses for lodging, meals and transportation. I was adamantly assured by the agent on the phone that I would be reimbursed for all of my extra expenses (2 nights unused hotel stay, 1 additional night hotel stay, meals and taxi) for the multitude of mistakes that were made, but United is refusing to do anything other than issue a $300 travel credit. Negligence at its best.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Check in desks closing early. Check in electronics machines broken. Inflexible staff and service, constantly parroting "It's the system, I can't do anything." When I was placed in economy after paying for business No help in getting a refund when downgraded, beyond contact the United website I travel the EWR to Barcelona route every 3 months, for 4 years, was always United. For my next trip and subsequent trips it's unlikely I will fly United.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

This is the worst airline I ever been on. First they charged me for my hand luggage which is free on American Airlines. This was when I was visiting this other state. Before this happened I tried checking in online and it didn’t allow me to do so. When I finally reach the airport I got checked in. That’s when I was charged $35 for my bag that is considered hand luggage on American Airlines. Then when I finally board the flight I found out that I was separated from my husband even though it showed we were traveling together. We were assigned different seats. Worst airline company ever. I’m highly disappointed!!!

United Airlines Company Information