2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.5/5 (1248 ratings)

About United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I scheduled a direct flight, through Princess Cruise Lines, on United, from Atlanta to San Francisco on 10/31/21. United changed the timing a few times, then changed my flights to include a stop in Chicago, with only 50 minutes to get to the new gate. This added 2 1/2 hours to my travel time. I tried to change my flight to a direct flight or another airline, but wasn’t allowed because it was in the 45 day window. But, they were able to make changes! So I picked seats. At some point when I checked, I no longer had seat assignments! When I tried to pick again, I had limited selection. I paid to have my seats upgraded to economy plus. That worked well for the first leg of my journey, but on the longer, 2nd leg, the seat was changed 3 times, and I was finally downgraded back to economy. And given a middle seat. That was hard on my bad leg. And, a week later I still didn’t have a refund for the seat I had purchased. I had to make a call to get that done.

The other problem was the 50 minute time between flights. My first flight was delayed. I asked the gate agent if she could tell me where the 2nd flight would depart but she said she had no idea, but she was sure I would have enough time to make it. I thought the gates for connecting flights would be announced on my first flight, but the steward said we should check the app for further information. I could find the gate number, but the airport maps section was under maintenance! I heard a passenger behind me saying she was going to SFO, so I asked her if she knew how to get to the gate. She told me a man in my row was going there and I could follow him.

Meanwhile, while still on board after my first flight, I got a message saying my second flight was starting to board! As I left the plane, I looked for someone giving assistance to those with connecting flights. No one was available, so I followed the man from my row as advised, and got to the plane in time. I believe both the passenger I spoke to and the man I followed were United employees as they had on what appeared to be uniforms. I am thankful to them. This whole experience was very stressful. Even though the flights were good and the attendants pleasant, I don’t think of this as a good experience. I hope I don’t need to use United again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

United cancelled a leg of our return trip, stranding us in the middle of the country. They offered no alternative flights, even from three other major airports in the region. We incurred significant out-of-pocket expenses to return home on time. Not only did they deny any responsibility for the extra time and expense, they only refunded 1/3 of our round trip tickets (after failing to deliver half of the contracted service). Perhaps most infuriating was the final exchange in my attempt to receive an equitable refund, "I'm sorry that we can't agree on how to best resolve this situation. We always want to reach a mutual understanding, and apologize for how this experience made you feel." "Apologize for how I feel"... I 'feel' cheated. I 'feel' that you provided half of a service, which was worse than no service, and then refunded 1/3 of my money. This is unacceptable practice in any business. I will never fly United again, ever.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

United Airlines Flight UA 801 scheduled to depart on 10/31/2021 9:10pm. Incoming United crew did not arrive and Flight delayed by 12hours and 5 minutes. Wheelchair passengers left abandoned at the gate to fend for themselves in the middle of the night by United Airlines with no hotel accommodation. United Airlines UA 801 finally left on 11/1/2021 9:52AM. ##UnitedAirlinesLetUsDown ##UnitedAirlinesAbysmal

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

My mother passed away 4 days before our trip and United Airlines is the only company that did not refund our trip, American Airlines and Sheridan hotels no problem. United gave us credit and then wouldn’t let us use it, nice company. Multiple phone calls and forms.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Booked a flight yesterday. According to their own rules, I could cancel it within 24 hours free of charge. Due to all circumstances in the world I only book flights that can be rebooked or cancelled. Paid extra for that. Today, within 24 hours, I had to cancel my flight. Tried through the website and app, several times. Did not work. I just had to call. I don't live in America so calling is not cheap for me dis it anyway, you get to hear a terrible tape that you have to have entire conversations with and spell everything. Very customer unfriendly. Because English is not my first language, that thing didn't understand it, and I had to repeat everything 30 times.

I spent 10 minutes on this. Very frustrating. Finally got someone on the phone, who told me very nice that I will not get a refund. Reason I should have canceled through the site. When I indicated that that was not possible and I got a pop up that I had to call. Her answer was, "Well that's what my screen says. I can't do anything about it. Try it on the website." You understand that this is the first and last time I have booked here. What a scammer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I can't believe an established carrier with such a large operation cannot carry out a basic process of booking and issuing a confirmed ticket. I reserved through their website united.com and received the confirmation the same day. After 3 days went to update things like meal preferences and find out my itinerary doesn't even come up. Called them and they are telling that their incompetent Delhi office was unable to confirm the last leg of the journey and summarily cancelled my itinerary and didn't even bother to inform. After spending 1 hr with their useless agent he told me that he can't do anything and I need to call their Delhi office. Wth???? Will never ever use them again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Having the WORST experience with United Airlines! I don't understand how this airline continues to sell same day or next day tixs on supposed full flights & leave customers stranded, waiting on standby for 2 days because they cancelled the flight that we paid for & had confirmed seats on. I get why the flight was cancelled - I don't get why we weren't assigned seats on the next flight with available seats. We could see there were still seats available on multiple flights in the first 24hrs. Absolutely no consideration or compensation for the extra days wait. We'll never fly United again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Flight cancellation, supposed to go to East Coast but put me in a flight to West Coast and then from there to East Coast with 9 hrs lay over, lost 15 hrs of my Sunday, and the customer service agents didn't even bother to say sorry, worst of all the flight attendant took my bag from the cabinet and told me to leave under my seat and gave the cabinet room for smaller bags, Rude. United already delayed my arrival by 15 hrs and cabinet issue on top of this really pushed me to write this review, never flying in United again. United should respect customers' time and money, else customers won't respect you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

We paid for business class upgrade months prior. Flew to Germany without incident. Upon return, denied upgrade and forced to pay $3,200 on same flight for upgrade. Error made by United booking agent and we got screwed. No more United for us!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

United Airlines has terrible customer care. My flight was rerouted to another state supposedly due to weather conditions. We sat on the plane over 6 and half hours. We were then told to deboard the plane and was left stranded. No communication from the Airlines. The Airport in that State was closed. Something they knew but kept us on the plane anyway. We had to sleep in the Airport for 7 more hours.. Still nothing from the Airlines. I had to find a way home.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

United Airlines Makes Kids Cry. Yep. You heard that right. Flight 6260 from Wichita to Houston, September 8, 2021. My family and I were sitting in rows eight and seven. Up comes this father with his four year old son. “You’re in our seats.” “Are you sure?” I compared our boarding passes. United Airlines had printed our boarding passes with the same seat numbers (8a and 8b). Well, I didn’t move. And United Airlines kicked the man and his four year old son off the plane. Then the man’s four year old son began crying. That’s when you know the stinky stuff has hit the fan.

United only let the man and his son back on when I pointed out two open seats nearby. All that wouldn’t have been so bad except we’d all had our original flights canceled by United Airlines the day before and had to spend an extra night in Wichita. Pure pandemonium. And lots of $$$ we couldn’t afford. I asked about compensation but no one listened to me. Missed a whole day of work and wasted another day traveling. At the connecting flight, no wheelchair assist came for my handicapped mother, and I was scolded by a United rep. for not having left my mother on the plane. What was I supposed to do? Leave my mother on the plane and go to my connecting flight? Negative, Ghostrider. Wheelchair assist should be there when the handicapped person gets off. This is the last time I’ll fly with United if I can help it. Delta was a lot nicer. United needs to get their act together.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

My grandson Rylen and his girlfriend changed their flight because they tested positive for Covid. United Airlines then charged him $300 to change his girlfriend's ticket and $200 for his ticket. A fee which should not have been charged according to United Airlines COVID policy. (The reason I'm involved, is I influenced them to change their tickets because I didn't think it would be right for them to travel with of Covid.) I have spent several hours on the phone and emailing trying to get a refund on Covid charges and have not had any luck so far. This issue has given us cause to wonder how many people are flying with COVID which in turn eventually affects all of us in our country.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Checkout closed 1 min before we got to desk due to an extremely long queue in business class kiosks. Total chaos at Newark. They told me it was ok then that it wasn’t. They refused us check in despite the fact they were the cause of the delay. Then, the flight was delayed and they still didn’t let us check in. Ruined our honeymoon. Will NEVER fly United again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Traversed Newark Liberty International Airport Check In, Security, Gate Upgrade with a wonderfully patient, professional Wendy ** who reassigned our first class upgrade seating so my wife, 3 young children and I were together after we paid 900+ hard earned dollars to upgrade 5 passengers to ""1ST CLASS"". We made it! We successfully got 3 young boys under 10 to the gate, in under 2 hours door to door. Zero glitches! Success! So we thought. As soon as we step into the 737 cabin, everything changed.

I was placed next to a very nice federal agent and his awesome service dog Fox. Love them. One problem, me and my 10 year old son are both highly allergic to pet dander. Mt Sinai Jaffe Institute in NYC has all pertinent files. As soon as I begin experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis I ask my wife to get me antihistamine and switch seats asap. This is when things turned dark.

As my wife goes to pass me a Zyrtec and switch the lead flight attendant (presumably from her seasoned demeanor) sprung into action like Carol Burnett hunting Annie at the orphanage. She puts her face in mine and sneers "Are we gonna have a problem?" Angrily almost hissing. I had no idea where she came from. I was so close to obtaining the antidote to my escalating allergic reaction, instead my 3 young children witnessed quite possibly the most inane and comical show of force since The Three Amigos confronted El Guapo in Santo Poco for the first time. My wife was pulled aside, IN FIRST CLASS, and told that I needee to calm down or they would ARREST ME in San Juan. When she tried to show them the allergy medicine and reason with them, they instructed us to remain seated. Blocked the aisle with the food cart and stood in a very awkward formation.

20 minutes after takeoff. Escalating allergic anaphylaxis. No meds and an aggressive Lead FA and turns out CAPTAIN! LOL. I flew Polaris with Capt. ** and Miguel at Lead FA in June. Left glowing reviews for them. UAL Flight #1556 8/7/2021 were a JOKE. Horrible experience. Felt like a hostage in 1ST CLASS. Canceled my return flight. Going JetBlue. Wife's Explorer credit card gets canceled next. My mistake on 8/7/2021 was choosing the UNFRIENDLY Skies. Your mistake was never owning up to your negligent service to a family traveling with minors. SHAME ON YOU UNITED AIRLINES.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I booked a flight from DFW to EZE and my confirmation number is **. My flight got cancelled 2 times. Due to COVID restrictions. When I talk to them to solve the issue they make it sound like it’s my problem and I should solve it myself. They are offering cheap flights out of DFW to eat American Airlines customers to fly with them but please don’t. They are awful.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I had the worst experience!!!! Flight 1626 from Jamaica. Firstly we flew into Jamaica on American Airlines. Obviously we know it’s two separate entity but that’s besides the point that smart Alec United Airlines employees point out. American did not charge for carryon on an international flight. I read about carryon and the 5 children we were traveling with carryon was well within specification but I guess it’s everyone fault that passengers must be subjected to disgruntled employees of United Airlines in Jamaica.

We paid $90 for checked bags and just because they want to give us a hard time gonna tell us to pay $30 x 5 additional bags. What??!! I explained the S.** we were not aware of this extra cost and we are in no position to pay. I pull down my mask to speak and she let me know. “Do not speak to her without my mask covering.” Excuse me!!! Like she is making the situation worst! Who does she think she is? S.** I am vaccinated and my COVID test is obviously Negative and instead of you offering some form of solution she is bringing her own personal feelings into it. No customer service at all offering any solutions because our checked bags wasn’t over weight so my husband quickly thought we are going to take out the kids clothes and spread it through the 3 checked.

S ** the agent suggested she damage the kids suitcase that was her solution. And she had to get her supervisor Deneasha to come try de-escalate the situation. Deneashas walks us over to a station to see if the kids carryon fits in the overhead which it did and told us No it doesn’t that the carryon need to fit horizontally. Looking perplexed and feeling disgusted and in fear we will miss our flight we worked feverishly to pack the suitcase and discard the suitcases. Then to add insult to injury S.** wants to charge for overweight of 2-3 ounces. SMH. Deneasha had to advise S.** to let them go.

Mind you on American Airlines my suitcase was 54 lbs and no one made an issue. The employees of United Airlines are unprofessional!!! So because we were on basic economy United Airlines wants to turn families upside down and inconvenience people to make them pay more to select seating. It was eight of us traveling and everyone was separated. Our 3 year old was placed alone. All in a scheme to us to pay to sit together that should be illegal!!! Your Airline is a disgrace and I wouldn’t fly United if you gave me a free damn ticket, hotel and rental!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

89 degrees in the plane and we have been sitting here for 2 hours and another 30 mins or more possibly. What makes it tough is that it is 89 degrees in the plane, lots of kids that are getting dehydrated and so am I. Water or anything is not forthcoming. What a service!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Worst experience with United. Flight delayed by 18 hours, due to mechanical fault. Connecting flight adjusted after 15 hours of layover. Handed over check in bags in the middle of journey. Promised hotel stay + meal on phone by United. In actual provided nothing but all frustrations. Now had to carry check-in bags + cabin bags + kids at Newark Airport overnight for 15 hours. Gods promise will never fly with United again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Throughout my long exhausting time at Newark Airport with cancellations by of course Spirit Airlines, I was finally at the final stretch of getting a boarding pass, the machine started blinking red and needed assistance, there’s was only one person at 1:30 pm there and he was useless, he was discriminating because I was not **, I asked for him to look if I was putting the correct information on the kiosk and he said he was busy with someone, however, when a ** girl asked for his help he stop what he was doing and answered all her questions. I was so fortunate to have gotten help from Yoandra, she helped me with everything and was so friendly, everyone should be more like her.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

We had a flight going from FLL to PHL with a layover in Dulles. We got to FLL and the flight was on-time, after our boarding time passed and still no one was boarding they about 30 min later they finally said there was a delay. We waited an hour and a half to then board. When we got to Dulles, our connecting flight was completely cancelled and they had no more flights to PHL for two days. They offered zero assistance, when we went to get our luggage we were told that it was either in Dulles or already on its way to PHL and we would need to wait till the morning because it was 1am. We wanted to rent a car and just go to PHL but we could not as we had no luggage and everything was closed. We go th

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I want to write a POSITIVE review about our pilot. We had a weather radar malfunction during our flight. Our pilot turned our plane around for our safety, I am so happy he did!! THANK YOU!! I appreciate you sir!! I will fly United again!!

Original review: July 30, 2021

I had a reservation for a flight. I arrived 1 and 1/2 hours early but could not check in because I was already booked. United Airlines offered me a ticket the next day but would not offer hotel or compensation. They claim it is not denial of boarding since I never checked in. I am submitting a complaint to the Department of Transportation. I will not fly United again

Original review: July 24, 2021

Airline Confirmation Number: **. This was the worst flight experience in my life with United Airlines! it was bad alone that our flight got canceled, which I understand due to weather conditions, but the whole resolution and process in getting us to a connected flight was horrible! Once we received our connecting flight after much confusion on the united airlines agency side for over an hour, we asked the agent if we should check in our duty free items that we purchased at the airport in Mexico, he said we shouldn’t since it might get damaged in our luggage. We asked if we will be able to bring the items which included liquor bottles and hot sauce bottles through the gate and he confirmed yes. After we checked in our bags, we had to rush through the airport in Mexico to catch our connecting flight which was very difficult with 4 other family members, and my father is disabled and blind so this was a great stressful hassle for us!

We arrived in LA and had to re-check our luggage. We then had to go through customs again in LA for our connecting flight to NJ. During that process as we went through TSA checkpoint, they took away all our liquor bottles that we bought in Mexico at the duty free shop in the Mexican airport for souvenirs as well as hot sauce bottles that we purchased. This was after United Airlines agency assured us that our items will not be taken away from us! TSA told us it was over the liquid limit allowed. this would have never happened if our direct flight left from Mexico to Newark and did not get canceled. This was over $100 worth of items. Absolutely ridiculous! We already checked in our luggage so we couldn’t go back to check in the souvenirs, we were on a time restraint and would have missed the flight!

Upset, tired, frustrated and feeling defeated, we finally boarded the connecting flight. I already purchased extra legroom seats for the returning flight, but since the flight got canceled and we were re-routed to a connect flight, we all got separated and were not accommodated for the upgraded seats. After waiting on the plane for over 30 minutes, we find out we have to unboard the plane due to a technical error. What an aggravation! At this point, it was close to 11pm, and we had to unboard the aircraft. United Airlines did not even give us food vouchers for all the inconvenience and hassle. We didn’t eat all day and had to spend over $100 bucks for food for a family of 5. Between the flight changes and all, it was a total of 24 hrs. of delays and travel time to finally get home. The whole experience was very aggravating and frustrating!

I tried contacting united airlines but all they give you is a response that someone is looking into the matter and no one has gotten back to me. I would like a manager to look into compensating us for the souvenirs we lost all because united canceled our flight and did not have a better solution for travelers that purchased items at the duty free shops. We should have not lost those items. Also, a refund on the upgraded seats that we never received on the returning flight because it got canceled and we all got separated. Unacceptable! I have all the receipts for proof as well. Also, please look into my refund for 1 baggage on the departing flight. I paid for 5 bags but only checked in 4 bags. I need the refund for 1 bag. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: July 22, 2021

NEVER book a flight with United Airlines unless you are planning to forfeit your money. United Airlines will make your reservation, accept your full payment in advance, cancel your flight and then issue you a voucher that is not redeemable for a refund. Once United Airlines has your money, they consider it their money, regardless of whether they provide the travel services for which you paid or not. They are a fraudulent, unethical business concern. PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS! With their customer hostile business policies and practices, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING IN BUSINESS! Travel with United Airlines at your own risk.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I've went through United Airlines 3 times when traveling and it has been the same issue. The plane either does NOT leave on time or it is late getting to the next destination. One trip, we had to stay over night with the only explanation that the crew needed rest. I'm sitting here now waiting on my boyfriend. The plane took off an hour and a half later than scheduled. This is the 3rd time.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I made a reservation in May for travel in July. It said no change fee but when I tried to change the date of travel, they could not change date for that class of ticket and could not upgrade either. Throw away the ticket it is worthless. But I could rebook at triple the price I paid originally. Customer service was no help at all. ‘Sorry just the way it is’. Horrible and greedy to gouge customers that have already bought tickets. BAD AIRLINE!!

Original review: July 21, 2021

I was in the process of purchasing a flight through their web page and an advertisement came up promising a discount on the airfare if I signed up for their credit card. I promptly signed up but they never provided the discount and still charged me the original amount. I tried to call customer service but was on hold for over two hours. When I finally spoke with someone and explained the issue she said that she didn't know what I was referring to and put me on hold for another half an hour. They lied about a discount to get me to purchase a ticket.

Original review: July 19, 2021

During the peak of the pandemic, both my brothers needed to return to their home country but on separate dates. United Airlines went above and beyond to change the return route for one brother because his original destination no longer accepted inbound international flights. All was done at no extra cost. United also changed the return route for the other brother for a very reasonable fee.

At the time when international airfare cost anywhere from several thousand dollars to over ten thousand dollars, United could have easily charged several thousand dollars more. But they did not. A typical airline ticket would expire in a year. United extended the expiration dates to beyond 1 year for both brothers in consideration of their situations. The brothers did have the option of using the airlines of their home country. However, those airlines do not always honor the ticket terms and conditions as United Airlines does. Those airlines certainly cannot hold a candle to the United Airlines' customer service.

Our family will always use United! I called the United Airlines on my brothers’ behalf each time to change their itineraries (because they couldn’t speak English). Therefore, these are my firsthand experiences regarding the customer service at United Airlines.

Original review: July 16, 2021

My flight was recently grounded due to poor weather conditions. Although I was annoyed with the delay, I understand the concern for safety. However, once we were ushered into the terminal (after waiting in the plane for the storm to pass for 4 hours), we were given no directions about next steps. No offer to put us up in a hotel, no offer to help us reach our destination, and no clarification about when our flight would be rescheduled to if at all. We were told to sleep on the floor and see if our trip would be rescheduled. I ended up Ubering from Dulles Airport to Union Station and taking Amtrak back to NYC. The whole trip took an additional 13 hours longer than it should have. And I was given to refund or offer to gain back points for a future ticket. Overall, terrible customer service and a clear disregard for the interests of their consumers. I cannot entirely blame the airport staff, since they clearly received no direction from their superiors.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I booked a flight for Oct 2021 in May 2021 paying almost twice as much as Sprint rate because of the shortest layover for connection flight. In June I got an email from United informing me my flight is rescheduled; now I have to take 2 connection flights and layovers adding 10 more hours to my original flight. I was able to reschedule it to 3 hrs layover.

In July I received yet another email saying all my confirmed tickets are rescheduled again with over 5 hrs layover. This time I asked a refund. United declined saying refund is allowed only if layover is over 6 hrs! Now I ended up paying twice the rate of Sprint and twice the wait-time for connection flight as compared to Sprint. Is it legal to scam customers like this? Don't they have to refund the ticket price if they don't have the flight customers paid for?

United Airlines Company Information