2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5
Based on 1,749 ratings submitted in the last year

United Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

My originating flight was delayed by United which caused me to miss my connecting flight #2019 on 2/11/21. Im 62 flying alone, haven't ate all day, no luggage. Went to customer service and I received a coupon for a discount on a room, not an apology or they would would offer to pay the room just sent me on my way. I'm just very disappointed in United.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Trip canceled due to covid. And they won't even extend 2 tickets until end of year until covid better...worse customer service I ever had. Will never fly United again after losing money on 2 tickets. WAS LOYAL CUSTOMER OVER 20 YEARS.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I have a MileagePlus Explorer card. Great benefits with 5x miles per dollar. But every time I fly they hassle me about my free checked bag. The check-in process says I need to pay $35 for the checked bag. I get free bags with my mileage plus account. I spend over 30 min on the phone, and about the same amount of time in addition to that on their messaging customer service trying to get this figured out and it then froze. For someone who spends $5-10K every month on their card and pay it off every month, there should be nothing but great service, including a free checked bag.

United has a good reputation of being a good airline, which is why I got their miles card. This repeat of experiences has proven that they actually just suck like everyone else. I will never use them again unless I absolutely have to. Might as well pay less per flight, get more free bags, and have customer service that doesn't blow. The United name should no longer be associated with the adjective "quality".

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I purchased 4 tickets in January 2020 for an overseas travel in July 2020. The flights were canceled due to COVID 19 so I requested refund which I only got refund for 2 tickets after 5 months, and still waiting for the other 2. I emailed United but never got any response, I called several times with no luck to resolve simply because they never tell you the truth, they kept telling me you will receive your refund in 72 hours which never came! It's been 1 year. Can you imagine someone stealing from you $3000 without anything that you can do? That's United Airlines.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Had 2 sets of tickets to Italy that were cancelled and was told if I took credits I could use them to rebook those tickets or any tickets for anywhere and when I tried to they said I could not use them as it was a partner airline the same as the cancelled tickets and the only one that flies there. United should not have advised me as they knew that I wanted to be able to use them to fly to Florence as I have a home there and fly back and forth with my wife and sometimes family 2 or 3 times a year and the credits are useless. I feel like they stole $11,000 from me. I was told different stories from different agents on how to solve the problem and got nowhere after spending 30 hrs speaking to various departments and in the end denied. I have now filed a complaint with DOT and then will hire a lawyer as I am stuck with $11,000 in credits that I can not use.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I have to travel a lot. I used only American Airlines and United for my trips because this is the only options for me. United is far below American Airlines. They discriminate the passengers according you give $30 for a bag. They let people who give money for check in online. They give reason that they need to check your items by their employee if it is fit in their policy. Then how about who give money? They still have carry on. How about those? Ridiculous airline with discrimination policy.

Once, I was late to the airport, but 25 min before departure. I live in Shreveport, which has only less than 20 passengers for a flight. I personally can check in and catch my flight if it is American Airlines. Their employee for check in never showed up at the counter, and I missed my flight and lose my money. United is a suck. I will give ZERO star for their policy and service. I choose American Airlines as much as possible, but still can't avoid that bad one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

The flight attendant in First Class placed personal belongings on the emergency exit handle of the main cabin door during a flight. This is a direct safety violation. I have pictures of this incident.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Where do I start... The first flight on 10 Oct 2020 - we went from Sacramento to Kansas City. (Layover in Denver). Mechanical issues in Sacramento and missed our flight in Denver and had to wait for 6 hours to get on the last flight out. ALL Flights full and every seat being used in the pandemic. 12 Oct 2020 - Kansas City to Sacramento (layover in Denver). Well... They took my carry-on bag in Kansas City and (that is lost and still can't find it). Then because of wind made us detour and in Colorado Springs and missed out flight in Denver to get home to Sacramento that day. They told us they couldn't get us on a flight home that night. They wanted us to wait 3 days and we ended up on a Delta flight (much better service. plane, seats, middle seat not being used during the pandemic). Had to fly through Utah to get home at almost midnight instead of 3:45pm in the afternoon.

Still dealing with my baggage issue and United is making Delta pay for my baggage. They aren't paying me for all of what was in my bag because they don't cover expensive things. (It was my carry-on). I have been going rounds with people at United (customer service). Is not helpful, rude, don't speak good English. The last person that I talked to was Milan **- rude and NOT helpful. I will NEVER fly United EVER again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Literally the worst airline in the sky! Just came back from California, had a layover from Houston to Chicago then buffalo. In Houston, departure was set for 2:20pm but didn't board until 2:30 due to a crew member running behind schedule. Then there was a lightning strike 15 mins after boarding, then they had to drop the cargo door and move luggage because of a weight proportioning issue. Finally we arrive to Chicago and our plane to Buffalo had already left. We go to customer service, soonest flight out is the next day. They say they won't compensate us for a hotel because the delay was due to weather, I said I needed a supervisor immediately.

The supervisor named "Kendrick" finally comes over. I exclaim to him that had we departed when we were supposed to at 2:20 we would have never even had the lightning delay which was 35 min. Btw, he then spends a half hour on the phone only to say the exact same thing. I began to raise my voice in anger asking to speak to his supervisor in which he started to give me an attitude. I asked for a pen to write his name, he would only give me Kendrick, no last name. I stated that this was ridiculous that, "My wife and I had to pay for a hotel and do not have clothes transportation or toothbrushes and you're not even going to help," he said "and I'll take my pen back too."

At that point I snapped. Began yelling. He then said, "Now you're not getting home at all," canceled my return flight to Buffalo for the next day and said "Well looks like your refund comes out to about 30 dollars." He would not reverse what he did even after I apologized for getting upset despite the situation. It later cost 300 for tickets home the next day, 185 for hotel, 55 for Uber, and more ** than anyone should ever have to deal with. 1800# was absolutely no help. 100% dissatisfied and shocked with how terrible they handled my situation. I felt completely helpless and could not find any direction in the company to turn to.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

United is the worst airline that I have ever used. I am a frequent flyer, so you can imagine my utter annoyance when 4/5 united flights between 2018-2019 had complications. From hours of delays waiting for another plane to arrive to straight up cancellations with no seats available on other flights for 3 days, United has proven themselves to be trash. Their customer service offered no compensation or promo code when I failed complaints. Every time I see a united flight pop up as an option for my travels, I feel violated. Just two days ago we live to Canada with Air Canada. There was a tiny hiccup with my baggage which customer service handled with ease and through in a 10% off promo code for my next flight! Moral of the story, don’t ever waste your time or money on United Airlines. If this could be a 0 star review, it would be.

United Airlines Company Information