3.36/5
Based on 2,078 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

United Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

2493 United Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Do yourself a favor and avoid to fly via UNITED Airlines, very bad customer service, and very incompetent supervisors or what they call Leading agents. Recently I searched on Orbitz tickets to Cancun and the economic one cost $360. I selected first class and cost double $755 each ticket so I wanted to surprised my wife and I bought two first class. Arriving at the airport they told I only upgrade one segment and put me in coach, talking with the supervisor they reviewed my purchase and gave me my first class all the way.

On my return same problem. So I asked to talked to LEADING AGENT Mr. RAFAEL ** and he was rough telling me not deserve a first class ticket as I bought coach and only paid for upgrade one segment. I never upgraded my segment. I bought first class all the way. I was explaining nicely and his answer was not. I said to him will do bad reviews about the airline and his rough manners and he told me "I don’t really care, you can do whatever you want". What kind of customer service this airlines has.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

One of the ** worse airplane and airport. ** flight delay every day. I try to fly from Virginia and my flight delayed for 4 hours. I try to fly from Kansas City... it delayed for 3 hours. I try to ** fly from Texas flight delay from 5 hours... ** Newark always ** issues. I ** hate the management of this airport. Worse ** airport and airline. They need to get their ** together.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Called United twice - first it was a hold time of over an hour. The next time they said 10-15 minutes so I got on the line for a call back. When I received the call back and waiting for a rep - got disconnected and just a busy signal!! Horrible - takes forever and then gets disconnected!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I've been a United frequent flyer member for 25 years, with many sub-par experiences, but my interactions with 6 customer service reps over the last 24 hours are enough to make me leave United. Each person in customer service has been unable to help, evasive, ignorant of their own policies, gave erroneous information, and had been entirely unemphatic. Two of my flights have been cancelled due to runway issues (not their fault) but they have been unwilling to help in any way. I was stuck overnight at SFO with no hotel voucher from either the airline or the airport, and in calling 39 hotels, every single room under $500/night was booked.

My flight the next day was cancelled, with a final arrival 24 hours after my original flight, causing me to lose a costly day of work, rather spending ALL day on the airport to an evening flight, with no offer of a restaurant voucher or pass at the United Club. Each customer service rep I spoke with told me to either call, or go to the next desk. Not a single person was sympathetic or offered anything to help the situation. I'm cold and tired after a night in the airport, I have no luggage, and now have to spend the entire day waiting for a flight that could be cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Not only did we have to wait 3 hours on a plane with kids with little to no information why they also had a weight restriction on the way home which caused ANOTHER delay. They charge for your bags, Southwest and Spirit DO NOT. They are extremely rude and we WILL NEVER NEVER fly with them again! It wasted our first day of vacation sitting on the plane, I had to reschedule everything. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.HORRIBLE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

After the first leg of our flight being delayed several hours, we did not make our connecting flight and then were rudely told by the desk agent that they didn't have time to rebook us as they were too busy. Called the 800 number and was told the only option was to wait 13 hours in Newark to get a flight to Albany and that there was only one seat so either my husband or I would have to sit in the airport overnight. To add to this, our luggage was lost as well...

Finally ended up renting a car and driving nearly 5 hours home. Was then told on Aug 26 that the last leg would be refunded by a supervisor in the call center. It's 9/6 and still no refund. Called today and was told by first inept phone agent (Mars?) that the refund never took place and "I don't know why". Spoke to a supervisor (Rachel) who said due to a "system error" it never happened and that she now processed it, but we have to wait another 7-10 business days. (Same BS from original agent on 8/26).

United Airlines has really sunk down to the lowest level of quality. I've flown with them for nearly 20 years, but the last several trips have been a nightmare. The customer service agents are clueless and read from a screen repeatedly "apologizing for the inconvenience", which IS NOT the get out of jail free card for bad service that United seems to think it is.

We are done with United and will not spend another dime with them. They should take a lesson from even budget airlines such as Frontier as to how to properly provide service. I suggest hiring call center employees who have a slight clue and don't simply regurgitate statements from a pre-written script. We all know you save money by sending your call centers out to a third world country, but your customer service level is -5 on a scale of 1-10.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

On August 18, 2019, my husband and I were flying United from LGA to YYC, with a stop.over in Chicago, Reference #**. Our flight #1953. We checked before we left home, and the flight was on time. We.checked in at 8:15 am with 1 piece of checked luggage. After passing security, we went to the gate. 10 minutes later, we were told the gate was changed and then changed 2 more times in an hour. We were then informed that Chicago O'Hare airport was closed due to.weather conditions. When I approached an agent for help regarding my connecting flight, I was told that I needed to go to the information desk, which had a long line, but NO ONE IN ATTENDANCE.

When the desk eventually opened, I was told that we would definitely miss our connecting flight and the only one they could place us on was at 7:45. When I explained that there were other connections to Calgary other than Chicago, it fell on deaf ears. Suddenly the agent perked up and said he was doing us a special favor and putting us on a reserved.space for 5:50, on flight 843. I checked the flight and found out it was to Toronto, not Calgary. The guy put in YYZ instead of YYC!!!. I waited on line for another hour, by which time the airport was in an uproar as according to O'Hare information the airport was open. When I advised him of his error, his answer was that it is TOO BAD as the 7:45 to Calgary is now full!!!! And it goes on....

I stopped a supervisor, who was none too pleased to help me, but I stood my ground. She checked and rechecked and told me.there was nothing she could do. AMAZINGLY GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I could go home and come.back tomorrow. My husband and I had both taken a measly 5.day vacation, so I declined. If I were going home, I wouldn't be coming back. So I told her to look on other airlines. She claimed she did, and there was nothing available. When I told her that I had seen online that Air Canada had several options, she realized that I was well informed and booked us on a 2:45 Air Canada flight. BUT FIRST....we had to go get our luggage.

This part is hard to believe-- First we were sent to carousel 1. The attendants there knew nothing about it and sent us to another building, where they sent us back to the first. After walking back and forth for 3/4 of an hour, we met.the first kind United employee, Sharyl **. She felt sorry for us and said she saw that the suitcase request had gone through and would check it out. Unbelievably, it was still on the plane for flight 1953. By now, it was 1:30 and we still had to run across the entire length of the terminal to Air Canada and check in for a 2:40 flight. Sharyl waited with us until the person she sent to pick up the suitcase returned with it. Thank you, Sharyl.

Thankfully, the people at Air Canada were kind. Although the code entered by United was incorrect and couldn't be processed, she assured us that the plane would not leave without us. Finally, after a 7 hour nightmarish drama, we left on Air Canada at 3:00 pm. We arrived at our hotel close to midnight. We were now down to a 4 day vacation, starting with two very weary travelers!! Where's the apology? Where's the compensation. I did not even receive a response to my email.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

The whole experience was awful! Flight attendants were rude and didn’t anticipate needs. Flight was late yet I was stuck on plane. I had to run gate to gate because of United’s lack of time management skills. When I arrived on new plane I wasn’t even offered a drink after running. The only read I flew with them was because of credit card perks. Not worth it. Never again!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Same rules apply even with the storm. We were supposed to fly out Wednesday from Orlando. Like so many others, I called to get our flight changed. They will literally only waive the change fee in/out of the same airport. To help United, and us, we were willing to drive to another airport close by. This would have cost us gas, time, etc....maybe even a hotel, but we were willing to do it and it would have freed up seats for others.

No matter how willing you are to do this, they will charge you the difference on a full fare flight. Over $2K per person is what we were quoted. Why? Because you're changing airports. You'd think they'd work with you and be happy you're willing to do this...nope! So, then I/we offered to abandon the first leg of our flight and just drive to meet our connecting flight via rental car. They wanted to charge us another $800 per seat to NOT be in those seats since it was considered a rebooking or new booking. Seriously? I'm the one taking the loss and they want to charge more?! And you know those seats won't go without a butt in them with the storm coming. It would have been a win/win, but they are still focused on making money. We had no choice but to take what was available for a change and go join the chaos. Toes & fingers are crossed our flight doesn't get canceled. They could definitely do better with waiving things during times like this.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

The original Basic Economy price is a joke, designed to mislead so consumers think they’re getting a better deal than they are. My experience: I tried to check in online but couldn’t get past the “check luggage” box, which I didn’t want because I was using a small carry-on. Msg said to go to ticket counter upon arrival at airport. There I was told I couldn’t carry on my small NEW carry-on bag and must pay additional $30 to get a boarding pass. I know some small regional carriers have instilled this practice of not allowing carry-ons, but I thought United was one of the big boys. I flew American a few days earlier with no carry-on issues. I won’t fly United again. (I’m submitting a claim for damaged luggage.)

United Airlines Company Information