3.27/5

2366 United Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 24, 2019

Scheduled to fly on a Friday from Aspen to St. Louis with a short layover in Chicago, two adults and two kids. The flight into Aspen was initially delayed by an hour, which was going to cause us to miss our connecting flight in Chicago. The gate agent suggested we call customer service to help with rebooking because it would be faster. When I spoke with customer service I was told the delay was due to a mechanical issue. About an hour later the flight out of Aspen was canceled because the inbound plane couldn’t land due to snow (other flights were coming and going, but I won’t fault the pilot for making that judgement).

Everyone proceeded to customer service for rebooking. After waiting in line for an hour, we were told there were no options to get us home or close to home before Monday (I said anything they could find within a 5-6 hour drive of St. Louis would be fine). The United agents also said we were on our own for finding lodging in Aspen because the flight was canceled due to weather, even though I’d been told the original delay was due to a mechanical problem that would have caused us to miss our connection in Chicago whether or not the plane would have departed from Aspen and without that delay the flight would have been able to land in Aspen because the weather was fine during that time... (Other flights to Chicago left before and after the short period of snow).

So now we’re faced with having to pay for three more nights of lodging in Aspen where the cheapest rooms start at about $600/night (our family doesn’t have “Aspen money,” we’d paid both lodging and flights with points for this trip). So I asked if they could at least get us anywhere with cheaper lodging, and they were able to get us to Denver that night. Once in Denver, spent the night at the airport hotel and tried again with United at the airport in the morning, and again were told there was no way to get us anywhere near St. Louis before Monday. They suggested we wait on standby flights until then.

Faced with the prospect of spending two days waiting in an airport with no guarantees, we opted to rent a car in Denver and drive home, at a cost of $380 plus another $150 in gas. Oh, and before I booked the rental United offered to “subsidize” our rental car and “only” cost us $700 out of pocket...so somehow their “subsidized” car would cost me $300+ more than I could get by booking it myself??? So we eventually made it home a day late, after a 12 hour drive, out $500 for the rental car and 35k hotel points for our hotel stay in Denver. United didn’t offer so much as a meal voucher during this whole process.

Original review: March 21, 2019

After a terrible experience with a death in the family (26 year old son in law passed), I returned to Denver for my return flight on 16 March 2019. I was flying United from Denver to Singapore. We were boarded on a 737-800 and after sitting for 20 minutes we were informed that the plane had 2 hydraulic pumps that were faulty. The pilot spent 10 minutes explaining the failure and the pumps job during flight (WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION FOR THE AVERAGE PUBLIC). The pilot kept us informed throughout of the progress and I appreciated that part.

As I had a connection in San Francisco with only a 1 hour layover, I was thinking I would miss my connection. Finally 1 hour later we were cleared to take off. The pilot promised to make up as much time as possible. Since this was also United, I figured they could hold the plane a few minutes if we landed promptly. We landed with 20 minutes to spare and the cabin crew indicated they were still here and to run to the gate. It just so happened the gate was at least 3/4 mile away. There were 4 other Singapore bound people on the flight but I took off the fastest and never stopped to catch the flight.

I arrived only to be told that the flight backed out 5 minutes ago. Exhausted and frustrated by the lack of communication from United to let passengers know the status or provide appropriate transportation to the terminal due to "their" mechanical problem. Also it's an 18 hour flight, what would it bother to wait the 10 more minutes when they could make the time up over the 18 hours.

So I proceed to the customer service area. After explaining what happened they said "they said they would see if they could help me". When I asked about the communication protocols between planes and not having a cart to help us make our flight, she indicated that this was up to operations. She said if I had a complaint I could take it up with them. I asked how to do this and she indicated online...Typical. They informed me the only flight to Singapore was at 11:30pm. (12 hours from current time).

I later found out there was an earlier flight which may have been sold out. The other passengers from my prior flight showed up and found out they would have to wait 12 hours. One asked for a seat upgrade be provided due to the wait time. They declined and said "The problem is with operations and you will have to talk to them". Standard statement they were probably taught. So from 11:50 am until 10:50 pm I waited. And naturally as luck would have it, the plane coming from Houston was also 1 hour late. So we boarded and took off approximately 12pm+. Because it was a red eye, service did not need to be much and we arrived safely in Singapore around 7:30 am Singapore time, again 1 hour later than scheduled. I was suppose to be to work by 8 am.

To summarize, the attitude given after missing the flight was as if I had been a bother to them. The lack of coordination and strategy was terrible. The lack of communication was terrible. Because I live in Singapore I travel on many different carriers. It has become more evident that United has lost all competitive edge because of their low standards. On the way out to the US I flew Japan Air which is a top-notch carrier, then American which was a few steps down as far as quality. But United is even below them in my opinion (The exception was the 787 flying to Singapore was a decent plane). Scoot, Jetstar, Japan Air, Nippon Air, Swiss Air, Korea Air, Singapore air are all superior by leaps in my opinion and experience. By the way, I did send a complaint to united... And guess what... No reply. Perhaps that's the responsibility of a different department.

Also Passengers Bill of rights indicates: International flight departing from the U.S.: You’ll receive 200% of the one-way fare, up to $650 if you arrive one to four hours after your scheduled arrival time; if you arrive more than four hours later than your scheduled arrival time you’re entitled to 400% of the one-way fare, up to $1300. Kerry **. 21 March 2019

Original review: March 20, 2019

Yesterday, March 18, 2019, at around 10 PM, I had a tormenting experience with a United Employee named Monica at the PDX airport while checking in. I was flying back to my college to Boston from PDX and had just one small luggage which easily fits under the seats in the plane. I have been traveling with the same luggage in different airlines for a while now, and I have been easily fitting it under the seats in front of me. As usual, I had booked my tickets from the Student Universe website, and I was fully aware that United Airline allowed one bag which fit under the seat (in front of me).

When I went to the airport, the customer service person, Monica, asked me to fit the bag in the 9*10*17 inches bin. My bag fit in, but not perfectly, according to her. I was willing to pay an extra $30 to check in my supposedly "big" bag. However, she said I still can't take the bag with me. I am a student, and I had my laptop and notebooks that I need to work on my 8-9 hours flight and during my 2 hours transit in Chicago. She told me to carry my stuff in my hands!

Moreover, she said that I was allowed to take the bag with me if I pay her $100. It was really hard for me to learn that their "interest of safety" would be negotiated after me paying them an extra $100. Again, the bag was not at all big and I really didn't have much stuff in the bag. How could someone working at the customer service not understand people's situation! I would never recommend anyone to travel with United Airlines. They schemes of selling tickets for cheap is misleading and their interest is all about money. They have no interest in actually serving their customers.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a block of miles to arrange a trip for multiple passengers in 2018. This trip utilized most, but not all of the miles leaving a balance of about 50k in my account. My plan was to bank them for upgrades and perhaps a future international flight. But when I logged into United MileagePlus this month my balance had been downgraded to zero and United notified me that my miles are now expired and require a $250 fee to "reinstate". I called customer service who directed me to contract fine print. Highly disappointing deceptive tactics and borderline unbelievable that United would essentially steal money like this. I definitely expected more.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Cancelled flights and delays. United rep at O’hare was the rudest woman I’ve ever encountered. We had been stranded at the airport for 2 days on no sleep, absolutely delirious and prior to our encounter, we were in tears. Our 30 minute flight to finally get home was cancelled due to the weather. Instead of offering any help, she suggested we rent a car and drive home. She referenced I need to call “reservation” (I don’t know what that means or what the number is) to get a car. I told her at this point the stupidest most dangerous thing we could do in our state of mind / and no sleep was to be driving period let alone in Chicago traffic. I was polite and basically desperate for any kind of help. She offered none. It was a nightmare experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Felt like I was on Meet the Parents at the gate when the agent would not let me load. One person stepped in front of me. Just terrible personality and he did not want to be there. First I flew with them when they dragged you off the plane.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I flew United in February of this year. I fly a few times a month to Michigan to care for my mom. I signed up for the Mileage plus account figuring it would be beneficial. I noticed that my 4 flights had not yet posted to my MileagePlus account in March. I called today to get them added and was told that because I purchased my ticket thru a third party site (Priceline) I could not get reward miles.. Are you serious?? I then was put on hold for over 30 minutes waiting to talk to a supervisor. This makes no sense. I fly American and they allow me to buy my ticket thru a third party and still get their rewards. I will never fly this airline again! Why should I be penalized for using a third party to purchase a cheaper ticket? This makes no sense?

Original review: March 18, 2019

We went for a 3 weeks vacation, flying by United Airlines. Our ticket is a little pricey maybe because it's Christmas season. For our long flight they don't give a complimentary food, you have to purchased all your meal. Mostly airlines when it's on a Long flight they will served free food, but United airlines geezzz.

Original review: March 18, 2019

The rewards program could be better but United has changed seats and flights without much fuss. Some of gate employees need to work on Every guest Every Time. It would be great if leaving from Detroit United had more direct flights.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Our seats were taken from us without our knowledge after flying into Toronto. As we were trying to board the Air Canada flight to Calgary we were informed that United canceled our seat and there were now no seats on the flight. I am still waiting for an explanation from United. This caused my wife very much stress.

United Airlines Company Information