3.43/5
Based on 2,071 ratings submitted in the last year

2425 United Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

Purchased basic ticket from Atlanta to Indiana. Had no idea United doesn’t include overhead space for 1 piece of luggage with ticket price. What a way to turn a 266 dollar ticket into a 350 dollar ticket. Very misleading, didn’t know United was a low budget airline. What a very money hungry practice. Will never fly United again. Since I’m certain they won’t care I will also take this a step further and post this warning on all social media platforms.

Original review: June 21, 2019

United Airlines has terrible "customer service"! Their policy is to keep passing you off to someone else until you either give up or they just finally say, "There's nothing I can do for you." It's pretty much worthless to have their United Chase credit card.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Aside from the flight from Newark to Chicago being delayed in departure and arrivals the flight was adequate. When I arrived I received a notification that my checked bags would be delayed. A customer service rep was finally able to help me locate the bags coming in later this morning. When I came back to retrieve my late bags I had yet another surprise... only 1 was here! When asking a rep to assist me she stated it would be coming in later on another separate flight. No further details or assistance given. Still waiting and have not received this missing luggage.... Not sure how me and my items ended up on 3 different flights! Hoping my bag shows up sooner than later - thanks for a great start to my vacation! (NOT)

Original review: June 20, 2019

I am beyond frustrated with United from the Unprofessionalism in telling someone they only needed to be there 30 min before the flight (she hadn't flown in over 10 yrs) and closed the door (15 min before flight) not allowing my mother to board, MLU rescheduled and confirmed her for the next flight out which was today 6/20/19 (the following day). In the meantime my husband googled United and spoke to someone in booking to see if they could get her on the 340pm flight later that day on 6/19, we were told no by the supervisor.

The supervisor stated she could book my mother on the next flight out which she was already booked on the next flight out by the airport on 6/20 which the supervisor saw and verbally confirmed with us, we asked if we could upgrade the flight to see if we could get her on the later flight on 6/19 and was told no because she had an economy ticket, so we accepted our fate that we were just gonna have to lose a day with her and accepted the flight that was rebooked to 6/20 at 530am.

The supervisor asked for my email address so I could receive my mother's new itinerary, my husband spelled out my email address character by character so we know they had the right email address, but I never received an email! After that phone call transpired the supervisor WITHOUT permission changed her already booked flight from 6/20 to Friday 6/21 and never told us or notified us. If they had sent me the itinerary I could've caught the mistake made by United (for the second time) and got it straighten out before my mother's flight this morning. When she got to the airport this morning even though she had her ticket in hand she was told she couldn't board because she wasn't on the manifest.

Now, I'm missing 2 days with my Mother who I haven't seen in 9 yrs who hasn't seen her grandkids in that long one of which she's hasn't met yet and she's missing my son's graduation tomorrow morning, she's in hysterics crying. United is INCOMPETENT & UNPROFESSIONAL! I'm beyond frustrated with United and feel the flight needs to be honored and a FULL refund returned. My mother showed up 2 days in a row and was denied her flight because of the unprofessionalism and incompetent employees. This should have never happened. Especially NOT twice in a row and now there's 2 days wasted. United Airlines you are INCOMPETENT and I will never fly with you nor recommend your Airline.

Original review: June 18, 2019

With reference to confirmation code E404J5 I was originally scheduled to fly on 30th May 2019 reach Mumbai, India on 1st June at 1 am, and return back on June 10th from Mumbai back to Raleigh-Durham reaching back at 11.50 am on June 11th in Raleigh. Due to delays and cancellations both ways in the travel I spent over 3 days traveling in the journey to Mumbai and 2 and half day in journey back resulting in shortening of my already short stay to mere 7 days. This caused me to lose 2 working days of work, resulting in me missing one of the most important function, my engagement which we did at home and having to reschedule a family function, 50th anniversary to June 8th costly us USD 1350 in rebooking the event.

On top of this, due to several reschedules and unacceptable behavior of the United staff at Raleigh, I had my baggage misplaced and this ended up going to Delhi in different carrier. I lost 2 items from my checked in bag and when this was returned to me in Mumbai I was unable to get response from last carrier flight- Air India.

In response to the harassment, physical, emotional and monetary, I was given 100$ in compensation. I wish you take this back and buy some chocolates for your employees so that they learn to sweeten up a little bit in their approach with customers. I understand that you spend at least little more time on your global services and preferred customers. My brother, Neel **, is one of the preferred customer of United Airlines and we will see to it that your reputation in the respective companies we work at is tarnished, you are considered to be removed from the company's preferred airlines and that all the employees get a detail account of this incidence.

I also plan to take this case to a third party to deal with you accordingly and for all the losses caused to me, I expect nothing less than the full refund of my air travel and reimbursement for stolen Sony noise cancellation device (I dont have receipt of Indian clothing that was stolen from the carry on bag) and this is with last carrier being Air India due to your own reschedules and cancellations numerous times.

Flight details and employee complain at Raleigh Durham airport, and during return at Mumbai and Chicago airports. Main complaints of employees:

-They lied to me about reschedule on May 30th when flight was delayed and they rescheduled me saying it's alternative flight to Mumbai while it was in fact not confirmed.

-Did not answer politely and were in hurry to finish shift to go home on May 30th.

-Misplaced and sent my luggage to DC although I clearly stated I did not want to fly to DC. The luggage was supposed to arrive back in Raleigh, and it never did on time. This resulted in the luggage getting misplaced and then routed to Delhi at different time then flight arrival and while my final destination was Mumbai the luggage never made it in time resulting in theft. Lost item due to baggage delay- flight LH760 from Frankfurt to Delhi. Air India last carrier from Delhi to Mumbai and bag arrived at home without the Sony noise cancellation device and some clothes. See the marked receipt for the Sony device.

My original ticket was Thursday May 30th Flight no. UA0678 - from RDU to IAD: Departure time 8 pm. This flight was delayed and we were originally informed at airport by United employees that this is due to inclement weather. The updates on delays were made 3 times. All the time queues were made the employees changed rules on which queue to follow. On some customers close to 30 minutes were spent to rebook.

Finally when the agent attended to me I was asked to either go to DC and continue to wait there / reschedule or try to do it next day from Raleigh. I was given a ticket as attached to fly to Frankfurt and then to Mumbai. This happened to be a waitlisted ticket and instead of being honest from the onset, I was led to believe I am flying to Mumbai. Only in Frankfurt, after visiting several of your customer service counters I was told that I cannot fly to Mumbai and instead they had to fly to Delhi and then from there to Mumbai. This caused the overall travel time since I left home on May 30th at 5 pm to 3 and half days of travel time. I reached final destination at local time 12 pm in India on June 2nd instead of June 1st at 1 am. A valuable loss of my already short vacation, plus had me lose important day for engagement function and planning of the family event was then postponed to June 8th costing us extra money to reschedule.

Innumerable tickets and boarding passes with several reschedules and delays throughout the journey to and from India. Please see attached all the boarding passes especially the one to Mumbai which was a lie, as it was never confirmed. I was told I have confirmed seat and the seat allocation will be at terminal.

Issues with lie about inclement weather versus technical fault. During the original schedule flight from raleigh, we were told it was weather related. While we waited, the pilots who came out and started talking to passengers clearly told the customers that the radar system is faulty and that was additional reason that the flight no. UA0678 could not take off on time. There radar system failed twice during the flight from outside getting into Raleigh. Delay in flight landing resulting then in it leaving so late that most all people had to reschedule due to missing the connecting flights.

During the flight back from Mumbai, India on June 10th on flight UA0049, same thing repeated. This time due to fuel loss they routed the flight to Delhi and had no crew to bring this flight back to Mumbai. Other airlines were operating on delayed scheduled while United airlines due to tardy preparedness, lazy and rude staff had cancellations once again. This time when I boarded on Lufthansa and arrived in Chicago, there was again a significant delay with United airline that was supported to leave at 5.50 pm, left at close to 11 pm causing me to reschedule again to a flight that left at 9.15 pm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Airlines?

Original review: June 18, 2019

When boarding a flight from SFO to Raleigh, the gate attendant quickly announced that there was no more overhead space during early boarding. I was rudely told to have my bag checked at the gate and proceeded to see at least 5 completely opened bins before reaching row 12. I then asked the gate attendant, Helen, for my bag so that I could put it in the overhead bin and was informed it was already taken off the ramp and that I would have to retrieve it in baggage claim and miss my flight.

Original review: June 18, 2019

United Airlines is absolutely TERRIBLE! Terrible might be an understatement. I traveled to Liberia via UA. I traveled from MN to Chicago then Brussels to Liberia. My first surprise was in Chicago when boarding for Brussels. UA refused to let me enter the plane with my overnight baggage. After group A and B, everyone in C and D were denied the rights to enter the aircraft with their overnight baggage. They assume that the overhead was full without making sure that it was full.

I explained to them that I am diabetic and had my medication in my bag and needed it closer to me but they refused. They told me to ask some vendors at the airport for plastic bags to put my medication in. What a humiliating moment, they wanted me to prove to everyone that I was on medication by literally exhibiting my medication and care nothing about my privacy. Do not fly with them, there is no guarantee that you will travel with your overnight baggage. Imagine traveling to a 3rd world country and checking in your overnight baggage with no guarantee that your the airline would be responsible for your money or property, in case they got missing? They are HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: June 18, 2019

We were due to fly out 6/16/19 on flight 506 to JAX at 1720. Our flight was delayed at least 5 times, and we also had at least 7 gate changes. Initially United tried to say it was weather related, but all other companies like Southwest and Jet Blue had no delays. At 0030 we were notified that we were due to depart out of gate B27 at 0130. After the plane was cleaned from the previous flight we were told the flight crew was coming from B14, but the pilots were on board and our luggage was being loaded. At 0210 we again were told the flight crew was on their way and when they got there they would need to do their safety checks, but we could board soon after. At 0230 we were told again the flight crew was on the way and to not pay attention to the board since it was stating the flight was changed. At 0240 our flight was cancelled.

At this point my family and I had been at the airport for 13 hours. My three children were forced to sleep on the floor due to exhaustion. We were directed to go wait at the customer service line which was a mile long, and the best offer United could provide was a Wednesday flight on standby. After booking a flight with Southwest at 610 that morning, and returning to Jacksonville, we were told by United baggage that our bag "may be" on the flight from Texas coming in tonight. I will never fly United again.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Flights cancelled. United Plane closes Newark Airport. Blows tires landing. No one answers phone in customer service, tried Two Days. Had no problem reaching SouthWest Airlines. Booked flight home with them. NEVER EVER AGAIN UNITED AIRLINES!!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

My name is Alex and I was trying to relocate my pets from US to EU with United. My problem is the Customer Acknowledgement Form you MUST sign with United PetSafe (https://media.united.com/images/Media%20Database/SDL/Travel/animals/PetSafe-Customer-Acknowledgement-Form_March2019_ADA.pdf). In "Certification and release" section (page. 2), 1st paragraph, 3rd line, the following statement is written: "I acknowledge and agree that United will not be liable for illness or INJURY to my pet, the exacerbation of any preexisting illness or injury, or death of my pet due to illness or injury," followed by: "I acknowledge and agree that United will not be liable for any loss, damage, delay or expense arising from INJURY to or illness of my pet. I further acknowledge and agree that I will reimburse United for charges and fees United incurs with respect to veterinarian care for INJURIES to or illnesses of my pet."

If you sign this form you are exempting United to any responsibility - whatever happens to your pet. Particularly dangerous is the "injury" part. In case a United employee drops the crate containing your pet (or worse), you agree that United is not responsible for that. They can do whatever they want with United, and they are contractually not liable.

After engaging the PetSafe first line of customer service - very polite, and they saw my point - I was redirected to 'Dan', a legal department in Houston. My request was quite simple: modify the form so that we could specify what 'injury' means, and and what would happen in case of human 'error' handling the pets. Dan replied (and I quote): "We are not going to modify any form for you, sir. If you want to use United for your relocation, you will have to sign the form. Have a nice day". United has all the rights to not change the form, but I just wanted to spread the word, hoping that people do not sign forms without knowing what's written in it. Thanks.

United Airlines Company Information