2. Travel

TripAdvisor
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5
Based on 1,221 ratings

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: May 31, 2020

A traveler stayed in a property named Treetop Condominiums Property Owners Association, Inc. (Condos) and reported: "Bed bugs in Condo unit 142" followed by a scathing 1-star review. The property I represent (I am the board of directors president) is Treetop Village Property Owners Association, Inc. (Village). Condos and Village are two completely separate businesses run by two separate boards of directors and do not share any guest rooms.

I made multiple requests to TripAdvisor to remove the mistaken review from the Village account. I supplied both company's Missouri Secretary of State business registration filings, which listed the two separate boards of directors, and conclusively prove the two businesses are completely separate entities. I explained that the Village does not have a unit 142 but the Condos do have a unit 142. I supplied the name of the Condo property manager for verification of my complaint/request and offered a letter from the Condo board of directors to validate my report. All requests to remove the mistaken complaint were denied by Tripadvisor.

I ask Tripadvisor to explain the logic of their refusal to correct what was obviously a similar name confusion mistake. They refused to explain and in the end would only say, "We have completed a review inquiry into your concern, and the details of our standard review inquiry procedures cannot be disclosed. The decision about whether a review will remain posted is exclusively that of TripAdvisor and is final. We cannot offer any further comment on this decision."

Our Village reputation has been damaged unfairly and damage to business reputation always results in long-term loss of income when potential travelers smartly chose not to stay in a property reporting bedbugs. Our board of directors is simply asking Tripadvisor to review the facts submitted and remove this damaging mistaken review from the Village posting.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I have tried to cancel my Paris Eiffel Tower tour but their site is down and I could not able to find vendor and request to cancel. Now my credit card charge for the tour. I am really disappointed travel website this time. I will not book my trip with any travel website from now. Expedia.com is the worst though.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I tried to cancel a reservation. I was on hold for 1 hour being told my call was important to them. Then I was disconnected. I got into a live chat. I cancelled my reservation which was due to my country requesting that I do not travel if I don't have to go. I was complying. I was charge a fee of approximately $180. I asked that the fee be forgiven due to the Corona Virus. I was told "read your contract. You are responsible for the cancellation fee." I understand the economic consequences of this virus throughout the world, but it would make more sense to think strategically and keep customers. I had no trouble with car rental and airlines which I will certainly use for future trips.

Original review: March 7, 2020

TripAdvisor would not post a negative review I wrote about a hotel that cancelled my reservation after taking my deposit and hotel refuses to refund me. I had a hotel refuse to refund me my $350.99 I paid as a deposit for a reservation and I wrote a review about this hotel with the facts and supporting documentation and Tripadvisor refused to publish it on their site. I no longer trust Tripadvisors reviews.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I was an inn owner who worked with TripAdvisor in the business advantage program. I sold my business and am still getting charged one year later. I spoke with a business advantage representative at least twice and she said she'd take care of it. I've left her 2 more messages and no response. This is robbery. As a business owner I would never work with them again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have just cancelled my TripAdvisor Flipkey vacation rental account after they sent me an email saying "As you did not respond to the booking request the dates are now marked as unavailable on your calendar to avoid disappointing other travelers." after they accused me of not responding to a rental request after 3 days.

I could not accept the booking because, as I told them, I did not have a cell phone signal to receive their verification code. My requests for customer support were met by a series of threatening FAQ email replies and one that said they had tried to call my cell phone and could not get a reply! DUH! Then finally the arrogant email quoted above. Like many large online companies TripAdvisor now joins the ranks of those who believe that they can treat their paying customers with this kind of disrespect.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

In fact, they illegally get my personal data, and then simply blocked my account with active Tours without any explanation and without any reason! This is absolutely illegitimately! They have terrible Supplier Support. Every day, new person from Supplier Support sends me a new phony BS flavor e-mail. They lie. They ignore direct questions. They change their minds all the time.

A company like Tripadvisor cannot so easily disown a partner and allow partners to create these type of financial issues. Tripadvisor has a responsibility to ensure that each partner is financially stable, especially when it's an international company. Therefore, keep in mind. If you buy any tours on Tripadvisor or receive money for your services, then Tripadvisor can unilaterally block your account for no reason. You can simply lose money or personal information, while being in a foreign country, and you will not receive any intelligible actions from Tripadvisor Team. The Tripadvisor policy is similar to the virtual private crib policy. Fake reviews, winded ratings, terrible Supplier Support - everything is done from a position of self-profit.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

We booked two day trip tours online at viator.com for Torres Del Paine day trip in Chile (two bookings) and Los Glacier N.P. in Argentina this November. The first tour booking was $188 for 2 people and was canceled by the tour operator and refunded us. Then we booked another one, the same tour route but having restaurant lunch and price was $310 for 2 people. On the day of tour, there was no restaurant lunch, it was like the $188 one and our fellow traveler told us he paid only $68 per person. Overly over-charged us.

The trip for the glacier, long story sort, the tour operator did not come to pick us up on the tour day. We called and found out they would not come to us after the schedule the pickup time. The viator.com website would not gave us a refund saying the refund need to be 24 hours before the tour. (We called when back home they eventually refunded us.) Fortunately, we could find a local private driver for a private park trip at cheaper price, not wasting one vacation day in an foreign country. Our experience seems to be not using viator.com to book tours, over-priced and not reliable tour operators.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

UPDATE 10/28/2019: As a follow-up to my previous review on Tripadvisor, I just submitted another review - this time giving a restaurant a 3 (out of 5) with a mixed review - mostly good and one suggestion to make the restaurant better (to not re-use the oil from seafood for other food items - I'm allergic to some types of seafood). Once again, Tripadvisor would not publish my review. These people are a joke and their reviews and recommendations I now see are a farce.

Disgusting really.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/13/2019: I recently signed up for TripAdvisor given some great service that I experienced at one establishment, and some absolutely terrible service that I received at two others. Tripadvisor published the positive review, and removed the other two (unfavorable ones), thereby rigging the system. You wonder how some crappy hotels can be so highly rated? Look no further than Tripadvisor's disingenuously posting only the positive reviews. My unfavorable reviews had absolutely nothing unprofessional or unpublishable about them - just that they were unfavorable, and Tripadvisor evidently does not like that.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

TripAdvisor will not publish my honest reviews on numerous occasions. I can not leave my reviews and thoughts on restaurants. I’m trying to raise awareness on restaurants in the Seychelles that are hunting bats in an unsustainable manner and serving them in their restaurants.

TripAdvisor Company Information