2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.6/5 (1374 ratings)

About Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I booked my car via rental.com and it was nothing but a nightmare. The address they had provided in the confirmation email was wrong, consequently we couldn't reach the place before closing. Next day, I asked rental.ca to rebook and was told nothing was available. We walked into the Thrifty downtown and Tanbir was so helpful from beginning to end. Sure, we got a vehicle and even saved some money. Return experience was great as well, I had forgotten some change in the car and the person who checked the vehicle brought it back to us. Very honest and helpful staff at 114, 5th SE. Way to go Thrifty.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Coby, at Thrifty's GEG Car Rental provided EXEMPLARY Customer Service. Like a bright, shining lighthouse beacon to a lost ship - LONG AFTER Thrifty's closing time of 12:30am, and with no confirmation that I would still be taking the rental (not factoring in my 2½ hour flight delay out of Denver, the "system" had already given away my vehicle!) - Coby greeted me at the counter with a huge smile, charisma and SOLUTIONS. There were no more compact cars available. With patience, kindness and creativity he calmed a somewhat frizzed 67 year old gal down, set me up with a car I could be comfortable with, and earned my EXTREME GRATITUDE. Thanks and huge KUDOS go to Coby, and cred to Thrifty for hiring such a gem.

The back story: Flying from Tampa, with connections in Austin and Denver - there was a 2½ hour flight delay on the final leg - not landing us in Spokane until AFTER 1am, instead of the anticipated 10:30pm. The rental car counter closed at 12:30am, and I had resigned myself to sleeping at the airport until Thrifty reopened at 6am. After the initial flight delay of what was supposed to be only an hour, I actually HAD attempted to call Thrifty's toll free number, only to hear "Our office is closed. Please call back on the next business day." (Ugh.) LESSON LEARNED here… I should have dug deeper, as Thrifty at GEG has a direct (509) 838-8223. (Duh.) So…. sending gratitude to COBY… I wish joy, health, vitality and contentment to you and all whom you cherish. You are #1 in my book!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Fantastic rental cars and a staff who are always ready to be more than helpful. The rental automobile agent and agency made everything crystal clear by pointing out and explaining every detail regarding the the total accumulated and final costs. The agent went above overboard by finding out if I had comprehensive insurance coverage on my automobile through my present agent. Since I didn’t, the agent offered me comprehensive insurance coverage through their company.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Overall renting with Thrifty was satisfied. Customer service was very helpful. One thing that caught my eye was, the car was a bit dirty even though there was a sticker on the outside stated that the car was cleaned.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Thrifty may be the worst car rental place I have ever been to. Randomly charging me three weeks after the return date, making me wait 4 hours in line to pick up my car, and some of the worst custom service I have ever experienced. I just called to try to confirm why I was charged last night (three weeks after the return date), and not a single one of them could tell me why. They told me to contact Expedia.... Expedia isn't charging me. How can you not tell me why I am being charged you joke of a company. I hope this company fails. Don't rent a car with thrifty. There's no 0 star option but if there was thrifty would be a big fat 0.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I am writing this to you, an hour into waiting in the purgatory of a company that has no employees. Thrifty is a shell that Hertz pretends exists in order to enact their sick fantasy of masochism. There are 2 people working a line 30 people long... For three companies, except anytime a Hertz customer shows up, they get to cut the line. I know how much peanut M&Ms cost in h*ll... $1.50, and the sign reads "thrifty"

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

My experience with Thrifty was absolutely awful. When we arrived at the airport after our flight was delayed for no fault of our own, there was no one at the desk to help us. In addition, after we had called them and specifically asked for a refund because we couldn’t pick up our car, they failed to provide a refund for an extended period of time until after a final call to their customer service finally yielded a refund. Overall, an exceptionally poor experience with a car rental service that we expected more from.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I rented a car with Thrifty at Logan airport in Boston on September 9th 2021. When I arrived to pick up the car, the line was very long which was no problem because it is at a busy airport, however, after waiting in line for more than 30 minutes, I finally was checked in and received the paperwork to go and a get the car. When I arrived at the garage to pick up the car, the line was out the door but there was no one there working. I was told by other customers that they have been waiting for over 30 minutes for someone to give them their car but no one is there working. I remember when I was waiting in line to check in, an older woman came to the check in desk to let the guy checking us in know that there was no one working to which the guy told the woman that someone should be there working, so the woman went back.

When I got there, I didn't see anyone working. After waiting for a few minutes, my traveling party decided to take an Uber as we didn't know how long we will be waiting to get a car. So I went to the checking counter and told the guy that I wanted to cancel my reservation as there was no one working and we didn't have time to wait. The guy said he will cancel it so me and my party left without the car. Not knowing that the guy never cancelled my reservation so it seemed as if I had the car.

The next day, I received a call from a guy called Eric stating that my credit card didn't go through, to which I told him that I cancelled my reservation but the guy told me that it was not cancelled and that it shows that I had the car. I was highly upset and I told the guy that I didn't get a car. The guy told me I can come pick up the car since reservation was still active and I had paid part of the rental fee. I decided to go and pick up the car which is an hour away from where I was staying. I get to rental place and they tell me my reservation has expired. I asked them how can I get a refund for what I have already paid, I was told to contact the website/app I used to book my reservation but since the guy never cancelled my reservation before it expired the app I used to book my reservation cannot issue a refund because it doesn't show that it was cancelled.

I have lost money due to poor customer service and lack of staff. I also spent a lot of money for uber due to not having a car. I have contacted both the app I used to book my reservation as well as Thrifty and none of them have even attempted to help resolve this issue. I wanted to write this review to let other people know my experience and prevent people from going through the same experience.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

We rented a car from Thrifty for our family summer trip to Washington for 10 days in July 2021. On day 6, our car started making a loud noise when going above 5 miles per hour. Knowing we would soon be driving on the highway for 5 hours, we called Thrifty’s Roadside Assistance Department for help. After waiting on hold a total of 3 hours, we finally spoke to someone about our situation. Thrifty decided to call a tow truck for the car and a Lyft for us.

On our departure date, the Lyft never arrived and we were never called. We had to purchase tickets for our family, by bus to Seattle and then by train to Portland, to get to our destination. During that time, we spent 2 hours on hold with Roadside Assistance trying to get anyone to help. Imagine my surprise, when I was emailed the receipt for our rental and was charged for additional days. They towed the car on Day 7 of our trip! Thank you, Thrifty, for stranding my family and for providing the worse customer service ever! Don’t rent from them!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I rented a car from Thrifty at Jacksonville Airport in March 2021. I drove it about 30 miles to my friend's house in Amelia Island. The following day the car wouldn't start, I waited hours for roadside assistance to jump the car. Later that day the car would not start again nor the following day. So the car sat in my friend's driveway for 2 days because it was inoperable. A neighbor jumped the car so I could drive it back to the airport and dump it, piece of crap car. I drove it to a gas station because the contract stated I had to bring it back with a full tank. I put only $7.00 in because I couldn't drive it! Well guess what? When I went to start the vehicle, it was dead. So now I was stranded, alone, at 10:00pm. I could not get anyone at roadside assistance. I had no other choice but to leave the car there. But Thrifty expected me to sit with the car all night until I could get a hold of roadside assistance.

They have the audacity to charge me over $600.00 for a broken down vehicle that was inoperable. Thrifty didn't honor their contract, which was to provide me with a vehicle in proper working order. My bank agreed with me and reversed their charges. They told Thrifty that they were not allowing their charges to go through. Thrifty violated my contract and are now trying to charge me for a car that would not run. Thrifty, owned by Hertz, are the absolute worst rental car companies ever with deplorable customer service and they rent broken down vehicles. Thrifty and Hertz really should be ashamed of yourselves. Do yourself a favor and don't ever rent from Hertz or Thrifty. Spare yourself the aggravation.

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information