3.7/5 (640 ratings)

About Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: June 29, 2022

I recently rented a car in Florida. They charged me 10$ for each toll, that's right! the value of the toll + 9.99$ of administrative fee for each toll. The contract says that a maximum of 9 administrative fees would be charged as a courtesy. well, I received two letters in the amount of 114$ and 102$ for the 17 tolls, thus being 17x 9.99$. This is a theft! I don't recommend them to anyone! Last year I rented by Hertz and had no problems with fees.

Original review: June 25, 2022

I got caught up in the Cancelled Flight weekend on June 17. I had booked a rental car from Thrifty using Orbitz for 6 nights June 17-23. I contacted Thrifty and told them My flight got cancelled and I was not going to be able to pick up my car on the 17th. I was not going to arrive until June 19th and would now only need the car for 4 nights instead of 6 nights. They were going to charge me $200 more than what I was going to pay them for 6 nights. The lady did not care that my flight got cancelled and was very RUDE. NEVER USE THRIFTY!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2022

We reserved a car back in February for pickup SFO last week. Was supposed to be mid-size getting 33MPG (est) and got a small SUV (compact lol) that wound up getting like 15MPG based on miles driven and gas purchased. (bought the full tank which should have provided 375 miles per the car details and had to put $60 in it to keep from running out having driven only 302 miles!!. )

Reserved on Priceline and actual taxes paid were $45 more than on reservation. (Not counting fuel purchase Option,) and then given how absolutely crazy they were at pickup they rushed my wife thru and snuck the $150 CDW past her that she declined. OK, so not counting the CDW she should have caught they added $105 to the bill. A car reserved for about $355 cost us over $610 not counting the fuel. Exchanged several emails with "Ben" at customer service who of course held the company line and said "no credit for you!" Never again. Hertz has become just the the latest in companies that tossed thier outstanding customer service out the window to hire cheap agents and Frack the customers who have no recourse. They're like insurance companies that just deny everything and write off customers to save the cash flow,

Original review: June 20, 2022

Please DO NOT rent with Thrifty from the Palm Springs Airport, they will try to scam you! We rented a mid-size car for 6 days in late April online prior to arriving in Palm Springs, which we paid for in advance. When we got to the Thrifty agency to pick up our car, the Thrifty Representative said he’d be able to get us a better deal than what we received online. I told him as long as I wasn’t paying more than the original price that I’ve already paid that we would be more than happy to get a better price. He said that my original amount that I paid would be refunded on my credit card and I would just have to sign off on the new price for the rental amount.

When I wasn’t seeing the original amount refunded on my credit card, I contacted the Palm Springs Thrifty agency and told them that I wasn’t seeing a refund on my credit card that I was promised. The Representative said that the amount that I signed off on was IN ADDITION to what I already paid since the car was “upgraded” and that I signed the amount to pay the additional fees. This was an outright LIE from the Thrifty representative so he could upsell a car to us but disguise it as a “better deal” since I wouldn’t be able to see my credit card not being reimbursed until after we left. I SPECIFICALLY said I didn’t want to pay anything above the original price and he said that I wouldn’t be and this was a better deal. Please DO NOT support this type of shady business practice or at least be aware of them trying to “give you a better deal” when you pick up your car and scamming you of additional money. They have lost a customer and I hope they lose more since this was such a dishonest way to make an extra buck.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I booked small car from Dubai airport, when I returned car they discovered scratch, they put me in very narrow corner to sign and pay because I want to get my flight. I called nobody answer, email nobody replied, main branch also no reply. The charged me the tolls three times, with no reason. Just take amount from my account without any more information. DON'T TAKE CAR FROM THEM EVER.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I confirmed a Toyota Corolla for a trip in May 2 weeks. When I got to Sacramento Airport Thrifty did not have any Corollas. They had 2 for upgrade. I picked a Taurus. They ended up charging me for the Corolla at $1255 and the Taurus at $1776! After several phone calls they credited me just $375 for the Taurus upgrade not all of the other $1400 worth of stuff.

Original review: June 13, 2022

This local company is rude and have 0% customer service. I had a reservation and have used them many times before. My valid license would not 'scan' on their machine and they then refused to rent a car to me and would make no accommodations to override or work with me at all. So I had everything they requested (valid DL, reservation, even paid up front) but they not only left me stranded at the airport as no one else had any cars, they acted as if I had done something wrong and blew me off. Thrifty corporate has no control over these local owners so there is nothing a customer can do. AVOID THE MYRTLE BEACH AIRPORT THRIFTY LOCATION. Your loyalty means nothing to them.

Original review: June 10, 2022

If I could give them zero stars, I would. They charge me twice the amount they said they would. Charge me for a toll I paid timely and gave me six days to pay it, over a weekend, so really 4 business days. They lied to me at the ticket counter and charge me for a whole tank of gas instead of just what I used and charged me twice the amount for the low grades insurance I had. DO NOT use Thrifty.

Original review: June 10, 2022

This is the worst company EVER on planet earth. They try to get you with the lowest price but trust me, it is the MOST expensive rental car company. They hit you with fraudulent charges (such as administrative processing fee etc) and shot my bill up by more than 200$ for the 3 day trip. The $200 was fraudulent billing. I am having to spend time with the card companies

Original review: June 8, 2022

Rental Agreement number available, Dates: 5/19/22-5/25/22. Boston/Logan Turn in: Hartford/Bradley. 30 minute line within Logan. Only one agent and she was dressed in Hertz livery. Requested and priced a full size car. Garage had none available and best/biggest available was Nissan Rogue. (Mission was a college graduation in Maine and a high school graduation in Connecticut, so size was important as well as connectivity). Car was not equipped with Apple Car Play. During adjustment of rear view mirror in Boston rush hour traffic, the rear view mirror came off in my hand. Request for refund to reflect having to make-do with the much smaller, ill-equipped replacement vehicle denied by Thrifty, who responded that the Rogue was priced higher than a full sized car. Indeed.

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information