1.18/5

987 Thrifty Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I used Thrifty Car Rental. Usually requires a shuttle to pick up and return cars. Price just cannot be beat. Cars are fairly new, clean, great condition. Easy pickup and drop off, just found return location at last airport I rented at was very difficult to find.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The team at Thrifty at Kansas City International Airport is world class. My reservation is always ready when I arrive and the counter folks are the nicest people in the business. I travel extensively and Thrifty is by far my "go to" rental car provider.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Thank you so much again! We had many issues because of lost documents and invalid Credit Cards, but the so very helpful rental car advisor, Pamela, worked with us through all those issues and found the greatest car for my sister and me! We would be lost without her, so thank you again for your services Pamela! You are the best! We highly recommend renting a car there!!! 10 Stars!??

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

This is the second time that I have rented with Thrifty. This time we were in Los Angeles, I have to give them props. I stood in line for only about two minutes before I was at the counter picking up the car. The only issue I had was once we returned the car and waiting on the bus to take us to the terminal. Two buses pulled up to take a large group of us to the terminal, but only one driver would allow us to board the bus. The other rude driver would not allow anyone on his bus, or provide an explanation. He then watched as we all crammed into the other bus before he left with his empty bus. This guy is sorry and should not be dealing with your customers.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I booked a car to pick up at JFK and drop off two weeks later at Boston’s Logan airport. As I was leaving the car lot, I noticed that the “estimated cost” was 25% more than the cost of my reservation. I called Thrifty and they told me that they did not have my reservation at the estimated cost that I showed on my reservation. Basically they refused to admit that they took advantage of my haste at the rental counter. I explained that I took no extra insurance, navigation device or upgrade. Didn’t matter, they refused to acknowledge that they had overcharged me. I returned the car one week early to defray the cost and not reward them for their dishonest business practice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: May 19, 2019

Worst customer service ever! The manager is deceitful, dishonest, and discourteous. She tried to upgrade the cost of every customer, unless the customer showed proof of lower quote. She attends customers out of order, and then tries to blame the customer who complains for her lack of competency! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Prepaid for car rental at Orlando airport to be kept waiting 2hrs and a extra $360 later because they would not honour the agreement from 3rd party that I booked through. Returning was a nightmare. Tried telling me I owed for gas which was a lie. Car was taken back with more gas in than when we took it. She wanted proof! After several min of arguing she said, "Fine. Just go." And handed me a receipt. I asked for confirmation that all was good. She said I didn’t need one. In meantime another employee came along yelling, "Get these Canadians out of here." when he clearly saw we had 2 ladies with mobility issues. Stressed and frustrated I didn’t peruse the receipt.

Upon returning home I got a charge on my Visa for $113.88. I called to question it and was told it was because I didn’t return the car. Upon another couple hours of disagreeing I was given a case number and a mgr would call me. I got a call a few days later by mgr Carl at Orlando airport asking for description of fella who said, "Get these Canadians out of here." as well as chat with lady returning car. He apologized and said a credit would be put back on my card ASAP as well as discipline to the employees disrespecting our party.

Six weeks later and several more calls to Carlin’s customers service I was basically told I was a liar and there is nothing they can do about it. I had to contact Carl the manager directly. He has not returned any of my calls. It is a disgrace how they treat customers and get away with it as well as charging whatever they like after the fact. The head office wasn’t interested in hearing about it. I love the owner CEO info to let them see if they approve of this! NEVER RENT FROM THRIFTY!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Thrifty will intentionally scam you when you return your car. This is what happened to me: I returned my rental car to SFO. The return guy asks for my rental agreement. Without my knowledge, he removes the original signed rental agreement and replaces it with some bogus receipt, which I never saw nor signed. The bogus receipt is for $592 of liability insurance which I never authorized nor signed for. The guy never told me of any additional charges to my credit card. I didn't even find out about the additional charges until I saw them on my credit card and called. I had paid for the rental in full in advance. This is just an illegal practice that Thrifty scams people. It is illegal and I hope the people involved are held responsible financially and criminally.

Original review: May 13, 2019

There is a toll leaving the airport; maybe the service clerks should have mentioned options? They tell you everything about refilling the gas tank! Next time you rent read the VERY small fine lines. The toll was $1.60/ they charged $15.00 (X2 for each way). My toll (mind you, they don't have cash booths - they take a pic of the license plate) totaled $3.60. Thrifty charged me $30.00 in administrative fees. The last time I flew into the airport the rental co took care of it. Never will I rent from Thrifty, or their partners, ever again. :(( They paid the tolls on "my Behalf." Really?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Thrifty is much the worst I've ever had deal with. I made a reservation online for renting a car in Boston, Ma. I had to use Sorenson Video Phone (American Sign Language due to my deafness) to call Thrifty in Boston for questions; however, someone who works there hung up on me FOUR TIMES because she didn't want to deal with deaf customers like me. I called customer service to file a complaint - they didn't help me much. They said my case has been investigating and I will get result in two days but I've not heard from them for a week. I cancelled my reservation because Supervisor from another Country, not USA didn't understand that I feel discriminated. Will never use Thrifty ever again because they aren't friendly to deaf customers.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have booked the car for two days from Atlanta Airport and got it in the morning. Tank was filled to 75% only when I got it in my hand. Upon return, I have maintained the same level. I did not have the time to review it at the time, I got it, as I was in hurry to catch the flight, still I asked the gentleman whether I owe them any money. He said nothing and I believed him blindly. When I reached home, I did see he charged me for not topping up the tank. As per any business practice, there is some ethics. The staff lied me and they are doing daylight robbery. Never in my life, I will go with this unethical company. People, just watch out for them, if you have any plan to get rental.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We used Priceline.com to book a minivan rental for our vacation to Florida. We were taking all 6 of our foster kids with us and need a rental right at the airport. We decided to go with Thrifty because it was slightly cheaper than the other rental places. They quoted us at $350 after putting $96 down. We got off the plane with all of the kids exhausted and ready to get to our room and relax so we rushed to the Thrifty in the airport to pick up our van. The guy takes and looks up our reservation and after he adds the ridiculous amount of money for added fees that he would only explain as mandatory insurance tells us our total is almost $1,200.

We argue that the email and site both said $350, he said that was just for the van and not all the taxes, fees and 2 child seats, which weren't even counted as a fee on the original price quote. I don't mind paying for the car seats if I HAD BEEN INFORMED. I do however see this as a bit much. The quote of $350 is an $850 difference than what we were charged. This was a vacation to Disney for our kids and our budget was slammed by this and I felt the rest of the vacation was impacted by it. Not to mention the rental van would say the battery was low every single morning and would stall out on initial start and then run fine on the next start (I tried to call the store to inform them of this and was hung up on two different occasions).

Never again will I rent from them. I feel they should refund anything they charged over the original quote, it won't happen but it should. I also feel like they should fix the math skills of whatever person or program gives the quotes 'cause this was not a little price difference. To top it all off we got a bill today from them saying we didn't pay a $1.35 toll and they are charging us $12.00 for that.... Didn't they get enough out of us, are they even sure it was us? Beyond discouraged.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We check our vacation information weeks in advance, good thing because our reservation was mysteriously cancelled. OUR reservation was cancelled by an employee and no one could verify the reason why. NO COMMUNICATION ON THE DATE CANCELLED OR NOTES OF WHY. Tried to do another with same pricing & dates and were told it couldn't happen. A week later we get a reservation confirmation for a rental we NEVER booked. Absolute worst experiences with this company. Never, I mean never again.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have rented from Thrifty two times, basically because other rental companies were sold out. On both occasions I was quoted an estimated fee. The final charge was higher. I was told the gas tank was not topped off Both cases. I left gas receipts in car where I filled the car up on return. I had to send copies of receipt to corporate site to get refund. This is a dirty practice. The just don't do honest business! They automatically charge you unless you prepay for their gas. This is such an inconvenience. But that's what they count on, ways to rip you off! I will never recommend Thrifty.

Original review: May 1, 2019

It was a bad car rental experience. We rented a car through rentalcars.com in the company Thrifty for traveling in America. We rented a car for the first time and decided to make all major payments back in Moscow, online. Rent a car for 2 weeks amounted to 59,000 rubles, along with the navigation system, taxes and insurance. When we arrived in Los Angeles, we were taken by the shuttle from the airport to the Thrifty office. Our reservation number: **. There, the consultant said that it was a prepayment for the navigator, the navigation system will cost about 20,000 rubles for 2 weeks. Refusing a reservation meant losing money for canceling your reservation.

The consultant said that we have not paid insurance, as well as a tax for the roads, billed for $ 341 (this is 22,100 rubles). There were reductions in the bill and it was difficult to understand why we should pay extra. As a result, we refused the navigator, we paid $ 341, as the consultant claimed that these were necessary payments, mandatory. We do not recommend this company for booking, clients are cheated in order to get more money, they are bred for additional and optional services.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I rented a car with Thrifty on April 13 2019 from West Palm international airport. During the check in process I told the attendant multiple times I need the 'pay by plates' since I would be driving to the Florida keys and the drive is all toll roads. The car was fine, I returned and I thought all was good. Since then I have received two letters from Thrifty stating that I owe $30 in tolls by a $180 'administrative fee'. I have a witness that I ordered the pay by plate option when I signed up for the car. I rent cars frequently in Florida and always add this option. What gets me is the $180 administrative fee - This is just a ploy from Thrifty to get more money. I am not going to stand for it. The confirmation number for my rental is **. I am not going to get taken like this. Deceptive business practices.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Thrifty is the worst car rental business in Chattanooga. I made a reservation two weeks in advance, to attend my father's funeral. I contacted the support line multiple times to ensure that there would be no issues and the everything was set up accordingly. Upon arrival at the Thrifty location, a rude, unhelpful and uncaring clerk, advised me that everything stated by Thrifty support was wrong. Essentially Leaving us stranded without a rental to attend my father's memorial. Fortunately, Enterprise Rent A Car went above and beyond in taking care of every aspect and we arrived in time to be with the family. Thrifty Car Rental appear to be con artists who pull bait and switch tactics and are uninformed in every aspect..! They are the cheapest.. because you pay for what you get or in my case didn't get... Avoid Thrifty Car Rental at all costs.

Original review: April 18, 2019

This is a copy of the complaint I sent to Thrifty regarding their lack of caring and customer service. I prepaid for a rental 4/17-4/24 I went to pick up said car. My Mastercard would not read on your credit card reader. The lady says the machine is finicky. I was told unless I had another card I could not have my rental as they do not have chip readers and cannot enter the card number. This is BS. I had no other card. I prepaid the rental and now being told AT THE AIRPORT I can't have a rental. I went three steps down and got a rental at Enterprise. No problem. The people at your counter are rude and uneducated in your company's standard operating procedures. No one would help or take that extra step to keep my business. No worries. I will never rent from Thrifty again. Enterprise is more than happy to take my good money. Get with the times and get a freaking machine that reads chips.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Rented a car on 3/19/19 for a four day trip to Lake Tahoe. Of course, they didn't have the category car I reserved, but "For $25 a day extra" we can put you in a Jeep Patriot. Did the same thing to the two people in front of me - not me. When I made that clear, they suddenly found one available. But that was the BEST part of my dealings with them. The car was stolen from Hotel Valet the next morning. Reno police policy is that Thrifty, the car's owner, had to file the report but Thrifty ABSOLUTELY refused! Talking to numerous people throughout the day. Of course, no offer to replace the car so I could get to Lake Tahoe. Only the comment "We'll continue to charge you for the car until you turn it in." The hotel had video of the theft, the police were aware of the situation, but Thrifty attempted to cash in.

Sure enough, they tried. I locked my card, and within two weeks, they were attempting to put through charges totaling over $3700! Finally, they hired an outside recovery/repo agency man, who actually had a brain. I provided him with the documentation showing I'd reported it stolen, in writing, to Thrifty. A week later, he'd found the car (not sure where, but I'll bet it had been sitting in the police impound lot!). Then, Thrift sent me a "final bill" for $980 - the original rental plus three "extra" weeks, late turn-in charges, etc. Can't put it on my insurance since Thrifty never reported it stolen. Then they convinced my Credit Card company, Capital One, to put through the $980 charge, since they'd run a $500 reserve on initial rental. Now, I have to dispute the charge, too!

DO NOT RENT FROM THRIFTY, ITS SISTER COMPANY DOLLAR, OR HERTZ, THEIR CORPORATE OWNER!!! Much better to pay a dollar or two a day more, and deal with a company that doesn't behave both incompetently and criminally (they did make a false report to the repo guy, who was ready to use that info to file a warrant against me).

Original review: April 13, 2019

We had booked a flight and car rental bundle with Expedia. When we went to pick up the vehicle in San Antonio, TX the woman behind the counter pushed us hard to upgrade. Since we were visiting my wife's brother who is bed-ridden we said there was no reason to upgrade since the vehicle would sit most of the time. They said ok, told us where we could pick up our car and when we got there we had a choice of 3 vehicles (out of many). When I asked if the 4th vehicle in that line was available I was told that vehicle would be an upgrade.

We chose one of the 3 that were offered. We dropped the car off after 5 days and they handed us a receipt as we headed for our flight. Didn't have time to deal with it then but later realized they charged another $104 on top of my booking. Spent an hour and a half on the phone with Expedia who was talking to Thrifty and they refuse to budge. Bait and switch is what this is and I would warn anyone to stay away from Thrifty.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We arrived at Dayton airport to pick up our hire car as we have done twice a year for the last ten years only to be told that because my husband's name wasn’t printed in full on his credit card (that’s how our cards are in the UK) then we couldn’t have the car that we had paid £700 for in the UK three months previous. My husband had his passport, driving license, other documents all with full ID on but she said No. We couldn’t believe it, we’ve never had trouble before and what did she expect us to do, Dayton is a good hour from our property and a two hundred dollar taxi fare which we would have paid but we need a car when visiting the USA.

So, we went to another hire car counter, DOLLAR, they were happy to hire to us for another twelve hundred dollars which we gladly paid. Otherwise we were stranded. Thrifty wouldn’t even allow an American family member meeting us to hire using his credit card as she said they were full. When we asked could he rent our car that we couldn’t have, she said, "No we are full." If I could give minus stars I would, an absolute joke and we will not be hiring from THRIFTY again. Now back to England to see if I can reclaim my money back!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I do not recommend Thrifty. I have a 1.25 toll and they charged me a 15 dollar add fee in North Carolina. No one at the desk explained the toll policy to me and I called and complained and they would only waive 7 dollars of the charge. A horrible company and terrible customer service.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I have always rented from Budget or Hertz who have never charged for my wife as a second driver. Rented a Thrifty car at PHX, they ripped me for $13.95 a day for my wife as a second driver. IT DOUBLED THE COST OF MY RENTAL. I SO SO WISH I READ THE REVIEWS ON THRIFTY BEFORE BEING RIPPED OFF.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I rented a car from Thrifty LAX, not only it was long line but there was no explanation of charges. They don't go through the details, especially insurance charges. I was not aware of the insurance charges until I returned the car. The customer service representative not take any responsibility. This is the last time I will use Thrifty.

Original review: April 6, 2019

First off they did not tell me I would be charged for the shuttle to pick up the rental! I have no problem paying, I just feel it should’ve been in my booking details. When I returned the car it was after hours. I looked over paperwork for night drop and found nothing! I dropped the car off, keys inside because I didn’t want to be responsible for anything happening to the car. Got a call the next day, they have no spare!! So I was charged 80$ to get the keys out! Thrifty is a low key rip off company! That’s how they make extra money.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Before renting a car from Thrifty, please go to the ConsumerAffairs dept. website and look at the literally hundreds of one star reviews against this company. They obviously do not make their money from car rentals. They make it through forced upgrades, toll passes, erroneous cleaning charges for non-existent smells, animal hair, spills, stains, & general cleaning. They give unlimited miles and then restrict the areas that you're allowed to go.

The car was inspected on my return, inside and out and given an ok. A full 24 hours after I returned the car, I received a message that I would be charged an additional $300 cleaning fee for smoking, animal hair, spills and stains. I had the car for 2 days and none of the above is true. My two day rental came to $586. Delay your trip, ask you mil for a ride, go anywhere to rent a car other than Thrifty. Enterprise Car Rentals is the only way to go. Wish they had a car available the day I needed it. I will NEVER give this company my business again, and will NEVER stop telling people about their deceptive business practices.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I rented a car at Raleigh/Durham for 5 days. Nobody mentioned anything about tolls when I picked the car up. I was aware that I must have been on a toll road for a limited time and since there were no toll booths I assumed that the rental company would take care of any charges. As it was I received a bill for $48.82 a month later from a collection agency for Thrifty. The tolls amounted to $3.82 and the rest, $45, was for servicing the 3 toll charges. When I tried to call the company and complain I was always passed on to a number which was no longer in service. I will never again use this company.

Original review: March 22, 2019

My wife and I went to FL in February, we did our booking through Hotwire to get the best price on a rental car. The price quoted for a 7 day rental was around $200 which was a great deal, or so we thought. The Thrifty attendant at the airport was not tremendously friendly or easy to understand. We were asked if we wanted to prepay for gas which is something I never do. However given that my drop off time was at 3 30 am I didn't feel like dealing with filling the tank that early in the morning. As we were pulling out of the garage my wife was reviewing the printed contract and she wasn't seeing anything about us prepaying for gas. As a result I asked the Thrifty attendant in the garage if it showed that we prepaid for gas. He quickly looked and confirmed for me that it did.

Upon receiving our credit card statement we see an additional charge for $160. I called to find out the reason and I was informed that it was a fee for not refilling the car. I explained the situation and all they reply there is, "Nothing we can do." I have a number of issues here: I am more than willing to admit that I needed to take a closer look at the contract while in the airport main building. However when I noticed and double checked I was assured that it was on there. I am more than willing to pay the rate at which I thought I had agreed to initially or even the current one as I am partially at fault. This is not something they were willing to do.

Next even if I were to pay the $10 a gallon charge the car we rented was a Chevy Cruze, which has a 13.5 gallon tank. The charge should not exceed $140, why am I being charged $160. The company offered me a $25 discount and at this point I have not taken. I am currently disputing the charge. I am still hopeful that they will work with me to make this right. I will update when this is fully resolved.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Thrifty car rental Ben Gurion Airport -Someone missed big time!!! Or were you avoiding yourself of renting a car!!! I did my booking with Thrifty Israel through Expedia and got my confirmation. I was asking for Economic Automatic car and did a double check that the rental office is in the Terminal. When I have approached the rental counter I was referred to a shuttle bus and after a short waiting I was taking by the shuttle to Thrifty office. At the office I met a friendly staff and I was the only customer! Unfortunately it took 5 minutes to find my booking and then I was told that according the booking record I have booked myself a manual car. When I insisted to have an automatic car they had to make a new reservation. 5 more minutes of waiting (I was advised for the future come to book myself a car directly from the company website and not via Expedia -mistakes happened!)

I had to do CDW insurance (it is mandatory in Israel and I had no problem with it), however I was asking to use the insurance that I had with my American Express card as well. Then I was asked to present letter of coverage from Amex. Since I had no letter I was advised to call Amex and to set it. The staff were friendly and very cooperative and it seems to me that they are trying to make new friends (with me and my wife )- guys come on, I was looking to rent a car in minimum time after 12 hours of flight and I had no interest of making new friends.

I called American Express Canada and after 25 minutes I have got the letter of coverage in my mailbox. 5 more minutes to go and I have got the keys and was instructed to go to the parking lot location into a specific marked spot. Unfortunately the vehicle wasn’t there and and I had to go back into the main office. One of the staff who joined me managed to track the vehicle in a different spot. About 50 minutes after approaching the counter I have find my self hitting the road. When I have returned the car I parked my car in a front of Thrifty’s office

2 minutes later a guy came out of the office and asked me to park the car in the back side. Same problem happened with 3 more drivers - guys - you should have a clear signs at your location. Upon receiving my final bill through my email I have found out that I was charged 3 times more than the original quote that I have got from Expedia. Bottom line I have no intention continue spending my time with the company in order to have back 100 dollars plus minus. I am strongly recommend to stay away of the company in any cost. P.S. At some point I was looking for a candid camera because I was sure that I am a Prank victim. Thank you Thrifty- I don’t think that I will allow myself the pleasure of doing business with you at the future.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Transcription of a message to Thrifty. Reference: Rental Agreement No: ** Client: Daniel ** Location: Miami Pick-up March 12, Return March 17. Yesterday, I returned a thrifty car in the Miami Airport location, and involuntarily kept the keys in my pocket (I was in a rush since there was a police event in the highway to the airport, and I was running late to take my plane). When I realized about the keys I was in the plane flying to my home country Argentina. Immediately when I arrived I saw the $250 charge for the keys! I am willing to return the keys vis-a-vis a credit of this charge.

My argument is based on the fact that the agent that received the car DID NOT ask about the keys, and moreover he said that everything was ok to go! It did not help that the keys are for a car which engine is turned on with a button, so is not so natural to keep the keys in the car. I called Customer Service without answer. I will decline the charge and get legal advice about, what I consider a planned way to charge your clients more! It is absolutely ridiculous that the agent receiving the car did not have as standard procedure the duty of asking for the keys, and even more, confirming that "you are all set" as he told me. I will wait for your response.

Thrifty Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information