2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.62/5

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I arrived at Tampa International Airport to pick up my rental car. Everything went great from there. I got in the car and it smelled of smoke and trash so when I got to my destination I contacted Thrifty to let them know. Return the rental 5 days later everything went fine. Two days later when I got my receipt through an email they overcharged me $400 trying to say that I smoked in the vehicle and I don't even smoke cigarettes. When I told them the day I picked it up that it smelled of smoke and garbage so I called them to dispute the charge and told them. I called them to let them know about the smell in the vehicle. They said that I should have a number. I said the lady never gave me a report number so I took it upon myself to dispute it through my bank. We'll see how that goes.

I rent it from Thrifty about a month ago for about 4 weeks. With a rentals everything went great. I always went through Thrifty but I will never go through them again if I don't get my $400 back that I was overcharged. I think it would be only fair if someone walked through that car for damages before we left the parking lot. That's the way it should go. That way both the rental party and the company can do it together. That way to make sure there's no problems with the car. To get charged $400 for damages I didn't do I feel that that is wrong. I will not rent from Thrifty again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

We had a car rented for Dec. 2020. We had to cancel due to covid restrictions and Thrifty and Priceline are keeping the over 355.00 dollars. We will never even see the car. They will do nothing. Kaley Cuoco and William Shatner are rather misleading if not liars themselves.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I have already paid for the booking on the rental car. I know their policy was no change or cancellation, but due to updated COVID policies at the last minute, I am unable to travel. I merely wanted to change my rental car from one airport to another, and I was declined! I was not cancelling, I still wanted a rental car from a different location!! You would think during this pandemic that the company would show a little grace, be sympathetic with people out of work and no income! Instead, I have paid (credit card) for this service that I am not able to use now! The airline gave me vouchers for future use, which is awesome and greatly appreciated. I will never use Thrifty again and will let everyone I know (Retired Military) not to use their services!

Resolution response: Nov. 12, 2020

Received an email from Thrifty this afternoon and they are refunding my $400. I am overwhelmed by their willingness to listen to my concerns and do the right thing.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

DO NOT RENT from Thrifty Car Rental on Airport Blvd in Los Angeles. They are charging us $400 to clean smoke from a 2020 Corolla and we don’t smoke. We believe they had someone smoke in the car and test it and won’t remove the charge. We are Senior citizens and believe they are taking advantage of the elderly. We called and they will not remove the charges, their reps just keep saying “we tested the car and it did not pass the test”.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Terrible experience. Booked through Expedia for daughter and boyfriend. Thrifty took advantage of them and charged card for $951.00 when booked for $296.12. Thrifty added full coverage insurance even though driver has full coverage and additional insurance purchased through Expedia. I was on speakerphone with Thrifty agent and daughter and boyfriend-told Thrifty to remove all insurance charges as they were unnecessary due to driver having full coverage and extra coverage purchased through Expedia. Agent said she removed. When I hung up agent then added on liability insurance-which was still unneeded as driver has full coverage and extra through Expedia.

Agent told daughter and boyfriend they could cancel insurance when returning car so not to worry about it. Agent did not document driver’s insurance. I called and was not able to speak to a manager until about 6 hours later because the agents kept hanging up on me. I explained to the manager, Joe, the situation. He said only way to remove would be for them to make an 8 hour round trip drive to break the contract. He also said no reason to contact his manager, Chan, because he and his agents made sure to document account “up and down” and that they can cancel the insurance on return, however no money back because it is a daily charge.

Joe also went back and forth over discussing “personal” details of contract since I wasn’t a signer but in the end gave me all details except the name of the agent that added the unnecessary/overcharged insurance. If you need to rent a car-be advised of opportunity they will take to overcharge and add unnecessary hidden fees without telling you-BEWARE when using Thrifty rental car, the Portland, PDX location is the one we used, as well as booking through Expedia as they have no control and no way of forcing Thrifty to abide by reservation booked through them. Shame on Thrifty for taking advantage of first time car renters.

Why, logically would anyone need to purchase insurance through Thrifty if they already had full coverage and paid extra for the Expedia coverage??? Not to mention all the other random charges that took it from $296.12 to $951.00. Steer clear of Thrifty car rental. Their direct phone # to desk at Portland airport location is 503-254-6565 option **-not that it will do any good. Worst customer service. Hope it was worth the extra $169.95 you charged-it won’t happen again-lesson learned. I won’t use you again and will make sure anyone and everyone knows of my experience. I’ll even chip in for a more expensive car rental company to make sure no one else gets taken advantage of.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

MSP Car Rental through Thrifty - I rented a compact car for 9 days at $25/day. I returned my car with a full tank of gas one hour late and was charged $33.74, a full extra day (1.5 days rate) for being one hour late. I called customer service and also spoke to a supervisor and was informed that their policy is to charge a hourly late fee, but in my case they charged an extra day and will not give me a proper credit. This has to be illegal as they are unfairly charging me outside what their policy is to charge a customer.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I agree with the previous review. I have rented from Thrift many times. This past time, I returned my car three days EARLY, due to a COVID19 issue that forced us to leave from our vacation early. They charged us an early return fee, plus changed our $143 weekly rate to $109/ day! I called customer service, but they said there is nothing to do about it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I rented a car in Florida. The price and condition of the car were both good, the service OK. None of the toll roads I traveled had human toll collectors (COVID?) only scanners. In section "O" paragraph 2 Thrifty offers the "pass-plate all inclusive service" which is available in a "few cities". So what happens if you can't pay the toll before you travel the road and you aren't in the "few cities"? Thrifty will pay the tolls for you plus a hefty service fee. In my case I incurred $6.00 in tolls and $29.97 in administrative charges (admin fee is 5 times the amount of the tolls). I don't know how other rental companies handle this situation, but this seems excessive. I'm sure this will happen to more people as humans are taken out of toll booths for health or economic reasons.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I recently rented a car from them. The representative gave me an agreement with small letters, looked directly into my eyes and lied that I'm going to be charged $200 for deposit. He asked me to sign the agreement and kept on moving around the security ribbon to distract my attention. He lied. (I guess, the office can see the camera recording which is a proof of everything that had happened.) I found out they charged me extra $67.98. When I called Thrifty they told me I signed this agreement. I asked them a question: "If you, guys, wrote in small letters in this agreement that a customer is supposed to sell a kidney to you, would it be correct?" There is no answer. That is a bad business practise to lie to your customers. It is disgusting. I want people to read this review before renting from them. Please, learn from my experience and don't make this mistake!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I like to book with company websites (not Expedia, CarRental.. etc) I thought I used Thrifty but apparently I used www.Triftycars4rent.com? So not exactly thrifty, but I got charged 3 X, I told the front desk and assumed they would cancel 2? I was told a) "Cancels automatically," b) "Huh," & c) "Go online. Do it yourself..." Yep

I was given a car when I ordered an SUV and the office is quite a walk so I walked back and forth a few times... I went online to cancel and of course I wasn’t able to so I called. The lady on the phone did what the front desk could have done but she was still unable to confirm a refund? I now have 3 charges for 1 rental.. Be careful, please check your junk email and credit card statements. I book online a lot, so no I didn’t hit book 3x. Check for multiple reservations for 1 booking and they don’t make it easy for you to get a refund, good luck, I’ll probably have to follow up with my credit card now for fraud.

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information