1.04/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good rental car company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Thrifty Car Rental

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

853 Thrifty Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We have been renting cars for more than 30 years. Since we have our own insurance we have never purchased the extra insurance. We reserved the car through AAA and on the reservation, it clearly states we do not want the insurance. Without letting us know, they charged us for the insurance. We have called Thrifty several times to get the charge taken off, but they will only give us a small portion back. The cost of the insurance was $142.45. I was told they would give me $49.89 back and then gave me another number where I could call to see if I could get a full refund. When I called the number provided, I was transferred back to the original number.

At this point, I was told I had already agreed to the $49.89 so no further refund would be given. I believe it is illegal to add this extra charge without informing the renter. It's a scam! I agree that my husband should have looked at the receipt and should have noticed the extra charge, but he never thought that they would add an extra unwanted charge to the bill. We would like a full refund of the insurance charge which was never authorized.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I actually posted this on my FB account which is something I would not normally do, however, I am making an exception with Thrifty Car Rental! Keep in mind, my husband, Frank, has been a Blue Chip member for 10-15 years and we have never had an issue. Frank and I were in San Diego this past June and rented a car. Upon return, the person who checked us in, said that there was a chip in the windshield. Normally, we look a car over for dents, scratches, etc. before we check out and have an agent make a note. However, this small of a defect would be hard to catch! It's not much bigger than the head of a pin, if that!

We sent pics to Thrifty and explained that we had not caused this damage and assumed it would be taken care of, especially since we are long time customers with an excellent track record. Their response was we signed a paper accepting responsibility. We were in a hurry, trying to catch a flight, so didn't take the time to read what we were signing, unfortunately. We will not pay for damage, because the last agent checking in this car missed this spec of damage. Terrible customer service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I would rather walk than rent from this company, ever again. I don't care if you gave me a car and title for free, I would never go back. We fly 1,000 miles away from home to do a shopping trip and watch the Rocket take-off, we were going to have the car for a total of 7.5 hours. We land in Orlando and get to the ticket counter, the guy asked for the driver's license and credit card, the usual spill, well then I am told that my rental could not be fulfilled because my credit card name does not match my driver's license. It's a business card you **. DUH!

But it doesn't end there, after me being told I can't rent a car, I walk, because I'm not going to sit there and be embarrassed because my card "can't be taken", word of advice. If someone has on a $3,000 backpack and $800 belt and $1200 shoes, you give them the effing car without questions, those are the customers you are supposed to satisfy, not make sure they never return. THE BEST PART, I get to Louis Vuitton in the Meliana "whatever it's spelled" mall here in Florida, to find out my card has been declined, so I therefore call my credit card company to find out that Thrifty has put a $300 hold on my credit card when I DON'T EVEN HAVE A RENTAL, so that caused my card to get frozen, but thankfully I unfroze it immediately.

So Thrifty, tell me why I was charged over $300 for a car that I have never drove, or even had the keys to. Also, I wouldn't recommend your customer service reps hanging up on me again, because I have her name and employee number, and there is a handwritten letter being dropped off in the mailbox in the morning, absolutely a disgrace of a company, and I thought nothing could get worse than McDonald's or Taco Bell, well here it is.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I rented a car in Barbados in August during Carifesta 2017. They charged me for a 1/4 tank of gas at pick-up and told me to return the car empty. It is a dirty, dishonest rip off trick. The tank should have been full or 1/4 tank (in this case) to be returned as was received at no additional cost. It is dishonesty because Thrifty is capitalizing on my concern/fear of a stalled car therefore, to avoid that I would always bring it up to the safe level at Thrifty's advantage.

Furthermore, with Thrifty's 1/4 tank policy is therein implied that I must keep driving aimlessly in an attempt to utilize all of the petrol which I had already paid for. That by itself is so wrong and unfair. Thrifty is making me pay for petrol that I may not need or use, in effect stealing money from my pocket in a very covert, sneaky way.

The trick is even more sugar coated because the total estimated price for the rental is lower than their competitors, but when you go to pick up the car the cost for the 1/4 tank is included. Typical bait and switch. Never rent from Thrifty again. I returned to Barbados 4 weeks later and rented from Hertz, they are excellent and their cars are of better quality.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Picked up car rented months prior at Sacramento Airport. Thrifty knew car would be returned in Seattle. Tolls were incurred in Washington State, electronically with no option to pay cash. Toll amounted to $6.10 yet Thrifty tacked on a $15.00 administrative fee. I never was asked to use their PlatePass option. Very dissatisfied with this extra fee. Thank goodness there was only one toll as the administrative fee is added to each single toll up to $90.00. What a rip off!! The car was as expected, nothing special and thankfully no hidden damage costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I turned in my rental to the Charleston, SC Airport off site and all was great. 3 weeks later I am getting e-mails stating the windshield was cracked. When I turned that car back in it was in perfect condition. I noticed that in the e-mail they attached a copy of the Vehicle Damage Report, which states must be filled out by renter. This was not only written in someone else's handwriting but they got my address wrong. What a scam. Someone working there cracked the windshield and they want to try and pin it on their paying customer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I recently rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental company airport location St. Louis, MO. I made a reservation about 2-3 weeks prior to rental for a standard SUV. When came to pick up the car, I was given a large 7 passenger SUV. I asked to give me a car that I reserved. The rep that was helping me said that they don't have any other vehicles. I tried to explain that I don't like large vehicles and didn't reserve one. He kept repeating himself that they don't have any other ones.Then I asked to give me a discount since the larger vehicle will have higher gas consumption. He said he will not do that. The female rep standing next to him began preaching, and the other rep, who I found out later was their supervisor named Kevin, came over and said in a impolite and discourteous manner that he can return my money and I can go next door and rent whatever I want.

I was very disappointed of this rude and unprofessionally handled situation. I didn't enjoy driving this car either. What is the point of making a reservation in advance if I'm not getting the car I reserved? Out of all the experiences I had with this company, this is how I will remember the company because I was very disappointed with my experience.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017
    After refusing offers of additional insurance, gas filling options and upgrades, I got my paperwork, signed and went to my car. Upon return I found that I had "signed" for an upgrade costing me twice as much as I'd planned. The paperwork that I signed for was placed in a folder along with a bunch of other paperwork.

I'd clearly told the person working at the desk that I didn't want an upgrade. Obviously they get some sort of commission because they put the upgrade in the paperwork into the folder. I signed the folder.

Customer Service gave me the runaround. Told me it was my fault for signing off on the paperwork even though I'd made it very clear I wanted the car I'd asked for NOT an upgrade. Last time I'll be dealing with Thrifty. If you do... Check the paperwork INSIDE the folder before you leave the counter. Who knows what you've signed up for.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The customer service for Thrifty Car rental at the Columbia Airport is horrible. They are understaffed. It is pretty much a do it yourself operation. You inspect your car and call in if you have any thing that is larger than a $. When you return it, there are no signs, no direction, nobody out there to return the car to. You have to go back in to the rental desk to return but nobody looks the car over.

The car was horrible. It was a Hyundai Accent. It was cleaned and sprayed with some scent to mask the smoke smell in the car. The grill on the front was hanging off (had to call that in so I did not get blamed). The car sits very low and scrapes on pretty much everything. The brakes squeal. The best part was when I went to turn on the A/C. I tried everything and I could not get cool area. It was just hot air blowing out at me. I was doing sales calls in a suit and sweating profusely. I had chocolates as giveaways that melted. It was ridiculous to say the least.

When I returned the car, I was not given any compassion regarding the situation. I could not find where to return the car as there is no signs and not direction on what to do. I finally called the desk. I was hung up on the first time and then finally got someone. I explained the whole situation and they put me on hold. Another person picked up and said, “Are you waiting for luggage?” I said no and that I spend 10-12 min explaining to the previous person. At this point, I just want to return the car and get out of there. I am then told that I need to trudge all my bags into the desk as they have no one out in the garage to return the vehicles to. I don't even get so much as a “I am sorry for the problems you experienced”. I just took the receipt and left but not before stopping to let the Enterprise folks know that they now have all my business. I will never use Thrifty again!! Worst car rental company ever.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Twice in July 2017, I left my car at the Thrifty Logan Airport Park and Fly. On the first trip, about $10 in quarters I keep for parking meters was taken from both the "ash tray" and the glove compartment. So, the next time, I only left $2 in quarters in the ash tray AND they were taken! No effort was made to conceal the theft. I will never leave my car with them again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

On January 28th 2017 I arrived at the Thrifty Car Rental at Las Vegas McCarran Int`l Airport. During the process the agent asked what insurance I wanted and I clearly stated that I was declining all insurance. I do this in all rental car situations since my VISA card covers the CWR and my Canada Liability Insurance is good both in Canada and the United States. He argued that my liability insurance was not good in the United States. I presented my liability certificate and in his presence called my insurance company to get clarification. It was made clear that the liability coverage was valid in the United States and was referred to a website for a complete write-up. I again insisted that I did not want any insurance on the rental vehicle.

I was then instructed to sign a digital pad, which I assumed was just to show I was accepting the vehicle. I was never told what I was signing for on the digital pad. This pad showed no amount or other information. No documents or contracts were reviewed with me prior to me signing this screen. At the end of the transaction the agent handed over a closed booklet and pointed to where I would pick-up the car.

On my return on 25 February 2017 the vehicle was checked over and I was handed a receipt stating that I owed $653.81 US for liability insurance. I was shocked at this charge for insurance which I had declined. I disagreed with the attendant and was directed to the Thrifty counter at the Airport There I spoke to an attendant who then proceeded to have me meet with the Manager. I met with Damion Williams, the Manager and I explained what had transpired on the day that I rented the car. After some discussion he attempted to reverse the charge on my credit card. However, he stated he was limited to a credit of $200.00 US. He provided the toll-Free number for Thrifty Corporate offices. In addition he supposedly noted his actions on my file on the computer so that Corporate would have all info on file when I called.

I called Corporate on Monday morning 27 February, talked to Anika. She saw what was on the file from the Manager at Las Vegas, and after a few minutes stated that my card would be credited within 3-5 days. This call was recorded. By 7 March 2017 nothing had transpired on my RBC account so I again called Thrifty Corporate and again spoke to Anika. She stated that the file was being reviewed by her Supervisor and the request would be resolved within 24-48 hours. I requested to be advised within that time frame through a call from her or the supervisor. She stated that would happen. This call was also recorded

When nothing was heard from Thrifty I contacted my bank and filed a dispute. After several inter actions with my bank I was advised that they had received the money back from Thrifty's bank. This should have been a clear indication to Thrifty that there was an issue with the charge if their own bank would not support them. Now Thrifty is billing me directly for the charges. I have no intent on paying anything to Thrifty and if they continue to harass me with future bills I will attempt to take some legal action against them.

It appears to me that this company is using the digital signature system to scam customers into paying for additional products that they never agreed to, or at least the counter agents have figured out that this system makes it easy to steal money from customers. By signing a digital pad that does not show an amount or what it is that you are signing for mounts to fraud or at minimum a lack of honesty and integrity on the part of the company and their employees. After this occurred I checked with the Better Business Bureau in the United States and there are numerous complaints to them on this specific topic. It appears that they

are doing this nationwide. Allowing Thrifty to get away with conducting business in this manner needs to be investigated and stopped.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I feel like I just got robbed from Thrifty. They have the lowest fee per day but in the fine print they charge $276 to go to different states. I ended up paying $400 to rent a car for 2 days! I will never rent from them again!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I rented my first Thrifty Car in 1994. They were my go-to car rental. In the 1990s, the carry over customer service from the 80s was still fairly strong. I was/am a San Diego local and never had any problems. I rented my cars with my Debit Card. Earlier this year I was told I could no longer rent a car because I did not have a credit card. An exception to the Debit Card rental was proof of an airline ticket. Why would I have an airline ticket as a local. For over 20 years I rented cars from Thrifty.

I was so embarrassed when I walked to the counter to pick my rental car and was told no. I was allowed to make the registration online no problem. In front of 20 people I was turned away, the manager telling me there was nothing he could do... For over 20 years I rented a car, they took my money; I was a customer. Then one day; there "was nothing" they could do... To put salt on the wound, I still receive Thrifty Car Rental emails offering discounts and deals. 2-3x I have "unsubscribed" from the spam emails. I STILL RECEIVE THEM! Thrifty Car Rental is not a company for the working people. Thrifty Car Rental practices unreasonable and irresponsible services.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We rented a car from the local airport in order to travel to Texas for our annual Christmas holiday. We had rented from Thrifty 6 times within the last year, including a similar trip the year before. Upon returning and three months later, we were charged on our credit card for $2700 [without our approval] of additional charges for mileage for taking the vehicle outside the accepted range during our 12-day trip; they billed a per mile rate and not the contractual rate. After reviewing the details we found that sure enough, the contract language was changed sometime since the last rental to exclude travelling to TX from the airport in northeast Tennessee where we picked it up. Next, we made a written explanation and appeal directly to Thrifty and even mentioned that their counter employee during pick up that we were going to Texas and he said 'have a nice trip'. No mention of a contract change or travel to TX was prohibited.

Efforts to resolve this amicably were ignored. The Credit Card company [VISA] initially voided the charges but eventually made the charge. Even though a verbal representations were made by the counter employee of Thrifty, corporate apparently does not care. We are done with Thrifty and its owned affiliates. Our four kids are done. We recommend anyone reading this post be done with Thrifty. There are more suitable and affordable alternatives. I am pleased to report we have made three car rental arrangements so far this calendar year and none were with this group. Our correspondence directly to Thrifty were to a Carissa ** who completely ignored our written appeal.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Ordered a car online in January for a March vacation to Florida. Due to the blizzard, I had to cancel my vacation because of canceled flights. I notified JetBlue and they refunded my fees (no fees were applied either!) within 48 hours. I called Thrifty and they too were going to refund everything (with no fees attached) within 48-72 hours.They lied! I called two more times and told my fees would be refunded. After 2 and a half weeks, I called again and asked to speak with a supervisor because there was no record of my calls 4 other times! Of course a supervisor was not available and then they gave me a different number to call. I guess if you order online a company called "Cartrawler" takes over the billing requests... How convenient. After calling them for over 6 weeks (did I mention they are located in Ireland) I finally got the refund minus cancellation and other fees. There are a ton of other car companies out there, my family and I will never use Thrifty again.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I rented a mid sized car. I was told the Jetta was the only one available. The Jetta has high mileage and a obvious repair done to the body. The car died on the side of the road. I called Thrifty. I spoke to Julie. She told me she was going to call the car manufacturer to see if it's still covered. Doing this would save Thrifty the expense of sending their own roadside help. I was not happy with that answer but went along. I then asked for her name and a phone call back. Julie said, "I will call you back in 10 to 15 minutes." NO CALL BACK. I called them back about a half hour later. I was told THERE IS NO RECORD OF THAT CALL. Eventually a response vehicle showed.

When returning the car THERE WAS NO ONE IN THE AIRPORT PARKING LOT to check the car in. I then went inside to the airport counter. The counter help said he was the only one working at that time. I then went on to explain the situation. I asked how Thrifty is going to compensate for my troubles. He discounted my bill $18 (eighteen) dollars! Called Thrifty again and they were very rude.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I completed a reservation online for a rental in Ft Lauderdale for a compact car or larger. When I got there I was told my only option was a compact car and that would probably be too small for my family and luggage, that she would give me a discount on a midsize car, which I agreed to. I needed a car seat for my grand daughter which I selected on the reservation and it didn't say anything about an extra charge, however there was, but I was fine with that.

Throughout the transaction I am being asked questions, but I can't see anything on the screen and don't even know how much the total charge was, I was asked to run my card and sign. I had to ask what was being authorized. It was $327, I see the sign they may authorize up to $350 hold, so I'm thinking that's what this is. I didn't pay much attention to the receipt until the next day, I call the 800 number cause there's insurance on there that I didn't want, they tell me I need to deal with the manager at the store when I turn the car in.

So when I go to turn the car in, I tell him everything and said I was charged a $45 upgrade fee that I was unaware of as well. They say they can only waive the $45 fee, that I would need to call the 800 number. Well I did that, nothing but rude people that kept talking over me and refused to help. Gave me an email for their customer relations that I'm waiting on an email back from. I spoke to a Michael employee number **, supposedly was the supervisor and refused to help with anything. DO NOT USE HERTZ/THRIFTY ever! I have never made a complaint about service from anywhere but they are the worst!

Original review: July 27, 2017

Absolutely horrible experience. Had flat tire. No spare and NO service. Thrifty Car Rental literally left us abandoned on the side of the road. NEVER came. It was horrible. Had to find a taxi, train and another car rental to continue our vacation. Then they billed us for their negligence. Sick company!!!

Original review: July 24, 2017

I rented an SUV from Thrifty at Las Vegas, with a quoted rate of $698 for the week. We returned the vehicle at 11:59 am on the contract return date, and we were charged $2559.09 for the rental. The receipt stated we failed to honor the contract, by returning the vehicle later than 17:00 on the same date, which was printed below the confirmed return time of 11:59 am. I called customer service, but it was a Saturday and I was told I had to wait until Monday to talk to someone in "that" department. Called on Monday, they reviewed the charge and said they didn't know why I was overcharged, but they would credit $1712.35 back in 5-10 days.

I asked why we were paying $846.74 for a $698 rental, and they said it was due to "fees". I asked if they would give me a discount for the inconvenience of having an extra $1700 charged, and they said no - I pressed and they finally offered me a $15 coupon - yeah right! Then I noticed I also have a hold of $1776 on my card, in addition to the $2559.09 charge - called back and was told that would clear in 3-5 days (even though the payment has posted). I asked them why they should have $3400 of my money for a week, and they said they didn't actually have my money - pretty sure they do. Thrifty car rental is a scam operation - they don't care if their customer is satisfied and they are very good at telling you one thing and doing something different. I will never rent from this agency again, and I truly wouldn't recommend you do either.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Reserved a car online for a small SUV. Once I arrived at the destination to pick up the car, they didn't have any small SUV's available so I was forced to take a higher priced vehicle. Note - they would not match the reservation quote - even though it was no fault of mine that the vehicle I selected was unavailable that site. I requested a toll pass. It was in the car and I assumed everything was in working order. WRONG. They never activated it and sent me a bill for $65 in processing fees a month later. When I called and emailed to complain, they were unable to submit my request. No one ever followed up with me, I just received a collection notice in the mail.

THEN... well over a month after I dropped the car off I received a call from their claims office saying the vehicle had exterior damage. How in the world this is possible after I physically had to drop the car off at the airport, wait 30 minutes for an attendant to check me out, and had a thorough inspection of the vehicle. So basically 2 months after the car was dropped off and potentially other renters had used said vehicle, damage was noticed that I needed to pay for. This company has some serious ethical issues. Save yourself the hassle and pay the extra $100 for Hertz.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Terrible experience. Reserved a car with my husband as driver. When we went to pick up the car I wanted to pay for it with my credit card. The clerk advised me it's policy that the name on the card has to be the primary driver on the account. We go through all the steps to complete transaction, the sales points to up sell, he was very short and rude and seemed annoyed with us not wanting each of the extra options - key fob, pay for gas thru them, insurance, roadside assistance. I have full coverage insurance, as well as the VISA I was paying with provides rental insurance coverage, which is specifically why I used this card, and we already have roadside assistance coverage. I gave my insurance, my credit card, my license and signed for the transaction.

Once I was handed the contract it was still in my husband's name, so I questioned this and asked him why did this say my husband's name when I am the primary driver? He said he could not change the name on the reservation, but I am the primary driver in the account and I am the only one to drive the car. I trusted this information. The next day a shuttle driver hit my rental car while stopped at a stop sign. The next day I went back into Lihue Thrifty to report the accident. I was informed my husband was the only one listed as a driver on the car. I asked to speak to a Manager Mike ** and explained the situation to him. He verified the name on my credit card matched the card used to pay for the car and said, in fact, he could have changed the name and should have, but he probably didn't know how to do it because he was new.

Mike ** acknowledged it was a mistake and fixed the contract to be in my name, added my husband as an additional driver for free and even gave us $100 credit. He said he made a note in the account that I was the primary driver and I went on my way. The problem that I didn't realize at the time when the Manager fixed the contract, he created a new one that started on that day I came to report not for the 2 days prior, he just closed those out. I begin dealing with claims who initially start calling asking for my husband and I explain to them I am the primary driver. This is a mistake. They make the notes in the account I am authorized to drive, but say they cannot change contract and deal with that with customer service at Thrifty/Hertz/Dollar. So now claims is reporting this to the person's insurance who hit me and I am waiting to see what happens. Hopefully there will be no problem.

If there is I will go thru my insurance company because I have full coverage with a $500 deductible that I know Visa will cover so again no problem. I notify Visa of a potential claim, in case, the other person's insurance does not take care of this and they need all the paperwork including the initial contract. They inform me the name on the card and contract need to match on the date of the accident. Since the manager closed it, but and left it incorrect in my husband's name I do not have this to provide them. I begin contacting Thrifty/Hertz 800-334-1705 to explain that a mistake was made by a worker we rented our car from and that he did not give us the correct contract and also advised us invalid information that I need corrected to provide Visa, asking them to fix this or give me written letter stating I am the primary driver.

The first Manager I spoke to Terry #** assured me the contract was in my name and I asked him for a copy of it and he emailed me a receipt still in my husband's name, but with my name as the city on the address. I call back again and speak to Michael #**. He was just down right terrible customer service. I explained the situation. He says nope. They can't help me. I told him if a contract is in my husband's name, yet I give my card, license, and sign all the forms wouldn't that be an invalid contract then? He went on to accuse me of fraud by signing what the guy gave me when I rented the car, even though, I was told by the employee I needed to sign it. I still have yet to obtain the corrected contract. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I pre-paid a reservation via the Thrifty online site. I had no idea that my reservation was then redirected to Cartrawler, which then billed through another company in Canada causing my bank to charge an international transaction fee. When I complained to Thrifty about doing this without obvious warning to the customer, I received an email from Cartrawler stating that my reservation had been canceled and a refund would be made in 10 business days. That was 5 weeks ago.

Cartrawler has been unwilling to refund the money and each contact with them results in someone telling me the person I need to speak with has left for the day. Hertz (the Thrifty parent company) says I need to deal with Cartrawler because I made the reservation with them and not Thrifty, even though it was made on Thrifty.com. Thrifty and Hertz also will not recognize the reservation because the confirmation number is international (Cartrawler is offshore) and not a U.S. confirmation number.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I had arranged car rental through a broker and prepaid for all the services that I required. When I collected the vehicle at no point were any additional insurances or fees discussed, and I was handed a document headed "incomplete RR" with estimated fees of $268.44. When I asked the clerk what these were for I was told not to worry, and that there were no additional fees to pay.

When I got back to the UK a charge had been made to my credit card of this amount and when I questioned this I was told that the insurances had been fully explained to me and that I was not entitled to any refund. I have been lied to and ripped off by Thrifty, and to cap it all when I collected the car it had not been washed and still contained the previous owners trash in the glove box and behind the Sun visor. I will never use Thrifty again, and recommend that all readers avoid these cowboys.

Original review: July 12, 2017

This company takes reservation for cars and then has none when you arrive at your destination. Waiting 1 hr in line just to be served and then wait another hour before you get the car you didn't even reserve. This company should have its business license revoked forever!

Original review: July 11, 2017

NO STARS... EXTRA EXTRA FEES, NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!! Reserved a car at Thrifty at DFW Airport, Rental quoted at $65 for 3 days. Just a bit cheaper than other Companies. At time of Rental I was informed that it was REQUIRED to BUY THRIFTY INSURANCE and the cheapest was $20 a day added to my rental fee.... THEN TOLL CHARGES were $14 a day and if I didn't buy that toll package it was going to be $15 toll violation fee plus the toll everytime a toll was charged.... That alone was over $100 additional fee... I said that was outrageous over $165 for a 3 day rental... I didn't rent from them.

The agent said I could call Thrifty to get a refund... Multiple phone calls later and an email complaint it's like trying to pull teeth to get the booking reservation of $28 back from Thrifty... It's nearly impossible... So they still get money for false advertising because they say that the required insurance charge is in their Rental conditions... PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.... NEVER RENT FROM THEM!!! Finally went to Enterprise and was out the door with an upgrade, no additional required fees for $72... BOOM LOVE ENTERPRISE... Toll charges were only $4.99 a day (if you used the toll road) plus whatever toll charges you had. That charge is much more reasonable.

Original review: July 7, 2017

In April I flew into Seattle for a two day trip. Thrifty seemed unusually busy, not enough staff. When I finally reached the counter with my reservation, I was pounded for additional coverage to DOUBLE the cost of the rental. I declined the coverage. The rental experience was fine enough on return. Nevertheless, I sure blew it on anticipating TOLL FEES in town. I had exactly one, (it's the principle though) and this week received a notice of an "ADMINISTRATIVE FEE", being charges. Oh, of course I am legally responsible indicated the document. They also noted I have "10 days to pay" but I just received the bill! (Three days to go!). Logging into the Rental FINE site, I attempted to pay online, but the site links do not work. What an operation! Beware of the Toll areas and these hidden charges folks!

Original review: July 5, 2017

First off the lines were out the door and only two clerks at JFK airport. Second the clerks mislead you to believe the amount of fees that are associated with the E-ZPass service. Third when you call them to find out why they're rude and nasty. Fourth the car I rented kept losing air in the tire. When I called I was told I had to pay a fee to have someone come to put on spare and then take time from our vacation to go switch out vehicle. Do not use them. Not even as a last resort!

Original review: July 5, 2017

As previous reviews have stated, do yourself a favor and don't rent from Thrifty. They may seem like a deal, but they have a lot of hidden charges they don't tell you about until the charges show up on your credit card. They claim they tell you about it in the large print out materials you receive, but they should tell you what to watch for at the counter. Make sure you tell them you do not want them to auto-fill the vehicle when your return it. If you don't tell them you DO NOT want the auto-fill it will show up on your agreement as an added charge. You're not saving anything! Also watch for toll roads. A month later you will be charged a $15 administrative fee for every $1.32 cent toll charge. I don't understand why companies are deceptive, but the old adage you get what you pay for is so true. Beware!

Original review: July 5, 2017

Absolutely disgusted with Thrifty in the US. Rented a car from them in May and was offered a Sunpass for tolls. This was offered for $50 for seven days. We rented the car for 11 days. Our Sat Nav was set up to avoid Tolls so didn't need the SunPass. However when we visited Tampa, due to a RTA we were re-directed down a road with a Toll. When we returned the Car we advised the clerk of this issue. They checked on the system and told us that it was okay and that no Toll charge had been issued on the car, we did offer to pay. Totally unavoidable and not in our control.

We have just had a letter from Thrifty telling us that that Toll charged us $0.53c but there was a $15 admin fee. This has already been deducted from our card. This is theft and for a $0.53c charge is totally unacceptable and we will never rent from Thrifty again and suggest people check documentation. Other companies charge a much less admin fee. We don't agree with the charge at all but we were happy to pay the fee not the admin charge. Disgusting.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Absolutely rotten experience with Thrifty Car Rental in Chicago O'Hare June 13, 2017. After suffering through a Spirit Airlines trip to save a few bucks I was lied to by the clerk and apparently signed for the "insurance" which effectively doubled the rental car cost. I have never, ever bought extra insurance on a car rental because my CC covered rentals. No relief with "customer service" as they insist on the rip-off. Now, I will tell everyone use ANYONE ELSE but Thrifty, or you'll be sorry.

Dollar Thrifty expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.
    • Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
    • First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.
    • Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.
    • Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.
    • Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.
    • Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.
    Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information