2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5
Based on 1,256 ratings submitted in the last year

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: April 20, 2021

Over this past weekend (4/16- 4/19) my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Myrtle Beach, SC. In March when I booked our trip we reserved a Ford Mustang Convertible or similar through Thrifty Car Rental. However what we got was a Jeep Wrangler with an oversized sun roof. We spend over $400 for something not even close. I'm 5'2 it was extremely hard for me to get in and out of this vehicle due to no running boards which is part of the reason we got a car. When I said something at check in they offered the one vehicle they had left...a Charger (still not a convertible). If I would have tried to change companies at this point it would have cost me almost double of the original cost. This is false advertisement as you don't get a convertible as you expect. I would never rent from this or Dollar (their sister company) ever again.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Thieves who have horrible business practices. I made a reservation online for a vehicle in Dallas. At the counter every employee had a bad attitude and were disrespecting customers. I went through all the paperwork and was sent to retrieve the vehicle from the parking garage, where there was no attendant or anyone to help. I found someone who was parking a vehicle and he told me where to grab a car from. There was only one vehicle available, which was dented and had scratches on the paint, I took pictures and video for proof. The interior was mostly clean but had a slight odor. After 5 days of traveling from the hotel to a corporate office we returned the vehicle. It's now been 2 weeks and I see a charge on my account for an extra 400 dollars.

I called their customer service department and Doug hung up on me after I asked to dispute the charge. I called again and was told the charge is for an odor in the vehicle, and they had to clean the vehicle, but they couldn't tell me what kind of odor (we do not smoke). Doug mentioned they have proof of odor, but couldn't share the proof with me. No one reached out to me about any odor or damages to the vehicle. in fact, they sent an email to an address that someone made up instead of using the one I added to account as a renter. On the phone later, Ed kindly reminded me that there's a legal agreement we sign and if the location sees fit that the vehicle needs to be cleaned, that a charge will be made and the vehicle will be cleaned regardless of the condition the renter returned the vehicle in. This company is a joke, and is stealing from people. They should not be allowed to rent vehicles to people.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I reserved a car through Thrifty. when I got to the reservation counter, 9:00 pm, tired after a long travel day, I found an hour long wait, even for a reservation. When I got to the counter, through my mask and the clerk's mask, I told him that I had car insurance and didn't need their insurance, as I've told many companies in the past. "oh, no" said the clerk, I still needed their insurance, at $33.99/day, for a total of over $290, as "my insurance didn't cover everything". He wouldn't let me conclude the transaction without purchasing their insurance. Too tired to fight, I just wanted to get out of there to finish the 2 hour drive to my mother's. Furious about this, I called Thrifty and they told me that I had to go back to Thrifty to re-write the contract. Sure, on my 3 day stay at the beach, I was going to get in the car and drive 5 hours round trip to do this. Ruined the vacation. Thanks, Thrifty.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Rented a car for three monthly periods. The third time had to return the car two weeks into the contract due to death in the family. Original estimate $640, final $1440. Filed a complaint with BBB and attached rental agreements and final invoice. Thrifty Customer Service replied about a different rental period. Did not bother to read the documentation.

Original review: April 7, 2021

This company is dishonest and deceptive. I have rental insurance through my credit card company which I have used in many countries and throughout the states. After arriving in Washington DC from Ireland with two teens, late at night, we are shuttled out to the Thrifty rental office where I am told they are adding over $700 in charges for insurance. They would not allow me to rent as I have done before and I had no choice. What is a person to do far from everywhere at night with your family? They forced me to accept and then I was stuck with the extra charges. Pure evil and pure dishonesty. My agreement gave a total price including fees and taxes, but that was not the case.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I paid for rental car in March with the understanding I would owe 150 dollars when I picked up the car, instead I was charged 444 more by Hertz. I guess they are the same company but not one thing they tell you is true, please read the fine print, they are out to take advantage of people.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Reserved a one way rental for 7 seater for Mar 27 with intent to fly from rental destination. Received several emails confirming my reservation and reminding me of rental - no actions needed from me. When I arrived at rental agency, single person at the counter let me know that there were no 7 seaters available. After much back and forth received supervisor phone number. No response at supervisor phone number. Call corporate customer service - once again received busy signal. Being busy weekend there were no other rentals available.

Horrible experience - will NEVER rent from these guys again - ruined trip because of irresponsibility of company in not communicating their lack of vehicles up ahead of time, giving me no opportunity to come up with alternate plan. Company, evidently, does not consider implications of their lapses. Will be publishing such reviews elsewhere as well.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Rented from them in Dallas. Was NOT informed that they sell a "PlatePass" to pay tolls. Later billed 110 dollars (20 for tolls and 90 DOLLAR ADMIN FEE)!! Their business model is apparently to scam a small amount of money from people who will NEVER rent from them again??

Original review: March 26, 2021

I rented a car from Thrifty for 8 days. When I received the car it was filthy. I should have taken the time to report it then and not at my return. I returned the car cleaner then when I received it. I was charged an additional $200.00 for damages they said. They stated that I smoked in the car. So I got charged for complaining at return.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I prepaid for a rental car through Thrifty to be picked up at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. When we arrived, we waited in line for 6 hours to get to the rental counter. Once at the counter it was another 40 minutes to get the car. There were about 200 people in line when I finally got my car. The rental agent said that most of the people behind us would not get cars due to the corporate office booking reservations without having enough cars. I have never experienced anything like this during travel. Basically, once at the counter we had to wait for a car to be returned and then cleaned. Terrible business practice. I will not rent from them again and I will not rent from Hertz, because Hertz is the parent company, and that is who gets priority when cars come in. Hertz had a similar line. Awful experience after getting off of a flight.

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information