Thrifty Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The customer service for Thrifty Car rental at the Columbia Airport is horrible. They are understaffed. It is pretty much a do it yourself operation. You inspect your car and call in if you have any thing that is larger than a $. When you return it, there are no signs, no direction, nobody out there to return the car to. You have to go back in to the rental desk to return but nobody looks the car over.

The car was horrible. It was a Hyundai Accent. It was cleaned and sprayed with some scent to mask the smoke smell in the car. The grill on the front was hanging off (had to call that in so I did not get blamed). The car sits very low and scrapes on pretty much everything. The brakes squeal. The best part was when I went to turn on the A/C. I tried everything and I could not get cool area. It was just hot air blowing out at me. I was doing sales calls in a suit and sweating profusely. I had chocolates as giveaways that melted. It was ridiculous to say the least.

When I returned the car, I was not given any compassion regarding the situation. I could not find where to return the car as there is no signs and not direction on what to do. I finally called the desk. I was hung up on the first time and then finally got someone. I explained the whole situation and they put me on hold. Another person picked up and said, “Are you waiting for luggage?” I said no and that I spend 10-12 min explaining to the previous person. At this point, I just want to return the car and get out of there. I am then told that I need to trudge all my bags into the desk as they have no one out in the garage to return the vehicles to. I don't even get so much as a “I am sorry for the problems you experienced”. I just took the receipt and left but not before stopping to let the Enterprise folks know that they now have all my business. I will never use Thrifty again!! Worst car rental company ever.

Twice in July 2017, I left my car at the Thrifty Logan Airport Park and Fly. On the first trip, about $10 in quarters I keep for parking meters was taken from both the "ash tray" and the glove compartment. So, the next time, I only left $2 in quarters in the ash tray AND they were taken! No effort was made to conceal the theft. I will never leave my car with them again.

On January 28th 2017 I arrived at the Thrifty Car Rental at Las Vegas McCarran Int`l Airport. During the process the agent asked what insurance I wanted and I clearly stated that I was declining all insurance. I do this in all rental car situations since my VISA card covers the CWR and my Canada Liability Insurance is good both in Canada and the United States. He argued that my liability insurance was not good in the United States. I presented my liability certificate and in his presence called my insurance company to get clarification. It was made clear that the liability coverage was valid in the United States and was referred to a website for a complete write-up. I again insisted that I did not want any insurance on the rental vehicle.

I was then instructed to sign a digital pad, which I assumed was just to show I was accepting the vehicle. I was never told what I was signing for on the digital pad. This pad showed no amount or other information. No documents or contracts were reviewed with me prior to me signing this screen. At the end of the transaction the agent handed over a closed booklet and pointed to where I would pick-up the car.

On my return on 25 February 2017 the vehicle was checked over and I was handed a receipt stating that I owed $653.81 US for liability insurance. I was shocked at this charge for insurance which I had declined. I disagreed with the attendant and was directed to the Thrifty counter at the Airport There I spoke to an attendant who then proceeded to have me meet with the Manager. I met with Damion Williams, the Manager and I explained what had transpired on the day that I rented the car. After some discussion he attempted to reverse the charge on my credit card. However, he stated he was limited to a credit of $200.00 US. He provided the toll-Free number for Thrifty Corporate offices. In addition he supposedly noted his actions on my file on the computer so that Corporate would have all info on file when I called.

I called Corporate on Monday morning 27 February, talked to Anika. She saw what was on the file from the Manager at Las Vegas, and after a few minutes stated that my card would be credited within 3-5 days. This call was recorded. By 7 March 2017 nothing had transpired on my RBC account so I again called Thrifty Corporate and again spoke to Anika. She stated that the file was being reviewed by her Supervisor and the request would be resolved within 24-48 hours. I requested to be advised within that time frame through a call from her or the supervisor. She stated that would happen. This call was also recorded

When nothing was heard from Thrifty I contacted my bank and filed a dispute. After several inter actions with my bank I was advised that they had received the money back from Thrifty's bank. This should have been a clear indication to Thrifty that there was an issue with the charge if their own bank would not support them. Now Thrifty is billing me directly for the charges. I have no intent on paying anything to Thrifty and if they continue to harass me with future bills I will attempt to take some legal action against them.

It appears to me that this company is using the digital signature system to scam customers into paying for additional products that they never agreed to, or at least the counter agents have figured out that this system makes it easy to steal money from customers. By signing a digital pad that does not show an amount or what it is that you are signing for mounts to fraud or at minimum a lack of honesty and integrity on the part of the company and their employees. After this occurred I checked with the Better Business Bureau in the United States and there are numerous complaints to them on this specific topic. It appears that they

are doing this nationwide. Allowing Thrifty to get away with conducting business in this manner needs to be investigated and stopped.

I feel like I just got robbed from Thrifty. They have the lowest fee per day but in the fine print they charge $276 to go to different states. I ended up paying $400 to rent a car for 2 days! I will never rent from them again!

I rented my first Thrifty Car in 1994. They were my go-to car rental. In the 1990s, the carry over customer service from the 80s was still fairly strong. I was/am a San Diego local and never had any problems. I rented my cars with my Debit Card. Earlier this year I was told I could no longer rent a car because I did not have a credit card. An exception to the Debit Card rental was proof of an airline ticket. Why would I have an airline ticket as a local. For over 20 years I rented cars from Thrifty.

I was so embarrassed when I walked to the counter to pick my rental car and was told no. I was allowed to make the registration online no problem. In front of 20 people I was turned away, the manager telling me there was nothing he could do... For over 20 years I rented a car, they took my money; I was a customer. Then one day; there "was nothing" they could do... To put salt on the wound, I still receive Thrifty Car Rental emails offering discounts and deals. 2-3x I have "unsubscribed" from the spam emails. I STILL RECEIVE THEM! Thrifty Car Rental is not a company for the working people. Thrifty Car Rental practices unreasonable and irresponsible services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

We rented a car from the local airport in order to travel to Texas for our annual Christmas holiday. We had rented from Thrifty 6 times within the last year, including a similar trip the year before. Upon returning and three months later, we were charged on our credit card for $2700 [without our approval] of additional charges for mileage for taking the vehicle outside the accepted range during our 12-day trip; they billed a per mile rate and not the contractual rate. After reviewing the details we found that sure enough, the contract language was changed sometime since the last rental to exclude travelling to TX from the airport in northeast Tennessee where we picked it up. Next, we made a written explanation and appeal directly to Thrifty and even mentioned that their counter employee during pick up that we were going to Texas and he said 'have a nice trip'. No mention of a contract change or travel to TX was prohibited.

Efforts to resolve this amicably were ignored. The Credit Card company [VISA] initially voided the charges but eventually made the charge. Even though a verbal representations were made by the counter employee of Thrifty, corporate apparently does not care. We are done with Thrifty and its owned affiliates. Our four kids are done. We recommend anyone reading this post be done with Thrifty. There are more suitable and affordable alternatives. I am pleased to report we have made three car rental arrangements so far this calendar year and none were with this group. Our correspondence directly to Thrifty were to a Carissa ** who completely ignored our written appeal.

Ordered a car online in January for a March vacation to Florida. Due to the blizzard, I had to cancel my vacation because of canceled flights. I notified JetBlue and they refunded my fees (no fees were applied either!) within 48 hours. I called Thrifty and they too were going to refund everything (with no fees attached) within 48-72 hours.They lied! I called two more times and told my fees would be refunded. After 2 and a half weeks, I called again and asked to speak with a supervisor because there was no record of my calls 4 other times! Of course a supervisor was not available and then they gave me a different number to call. I guess if you order online a company called "Cartrawler" takes over the billing requests... How convenient. After calling them for over 6 weeks (did I mention they are located in Ireland) I finally got the refund minus cancellation and other fees. There are a ton of other car companies out there, my family and I will never use Thrifty again.

I rented a mid sized car. I was told the Jetta was the only one available. The Jetta has high mileage and a obvious repair done to the body. The car died on the side of the road. I called Thrifty. I spoke to Julie. She told me she was going to call the car manufacturer to see if it's still covered. Doing this would save Thrifty the expense of sending their own roadside help. I was not happy with that answer but went along. I then asked for her name and a phone call back. Julie said, "I will call you back in 10 to 15 minutes." NO CALL BACK. I called them back about a half hour later. I was told THERE IS NO RECORD OF THAT CALL. Eventually a response vehicle showed.

When returning the car THERE WAS NO ONE IN THE AIRPORT PARKING LOT to check the car in. I then went inside to the airport counter. The counter help said he was the only one working at that time. I then went on to explain the situation. I asked how Thrifty is going to compensate for my troubles. He discounted my bill $18 (eighteen) dollars! Called Thrifty again and they were very rude.

I completed a reservation online for a rental in Ft Lauderdale for a compact car or larger. When I got there I was told my only option was a compact car and that would probably be too small for my family and luggage, that she would give me a discount on a midsize car, which I agreed to. I needed a car seat for my grand daughter which I selected on the reservation and it didn't say anything about an extra charge, however there was, but I was fine with that.

Throughout the transaction I am being asked questions, but I can't see anything on the screen and don't even know how much the total charge was, I was asked to run my card and sign. I had to ask what was being authorized. It was $327, I see the sign they may authorize up to $350 hold, so I'm thinking that's what this is. I didn't pay much attention to the receipt until the next day, I call the 800 number cause there's insurance on there that I didn't want, they tell me I need to deal with the manager at the store when I turn the car in.

So when I go to turn the car in, I tell him everything and said I was charged a $45 upgrade fee that I was unaware of as well. They say they can only waive the $45 fee, that I would need to call the 800 number. Well I did that, nothing but rude people that kept talking over me and refused to help. Gave me an email for their customer relations that I'm waiting on an email back from. I spoke to a Michael employee number **, supposedly was the supervisor and refused to help with anything. DO NOT USE HERTZ/THRIFTY ever! I have never made a complaint about service from anywhere but they are the worst!

Absolutely horrible experience. Had flat tire. No spare and NO service. Thrifty Car Rental literally left us abandoned on the side of the road. NEVER came. It was horrible. Had to find a taxi, train and another car rental to continue our vacation. Then they billed us for their negligence. Sick company!!!

I rented an SUV from Thrifty at Las Vegas, with a quoted rate of $698 for the week. We returned the vehicle at 11:59 am on the contract return date, and we were charged $2559.09 for the rental. The receipt stated we failed to honor the contract, by returning the vehicle later than 17:00 on the same date, which was printed below the confirmed return time of 11:59 am. I called customer service, but it was a Saturday and I was told I had to wait until Monday to talk to someone in "that" department. Called on Monday, they reviewed the charge and said they didn't know why I was overcharged, but they would credit $1712.35 back in 5-10 days.

I asked why we were paying $846.74 for a $698 rental, and they said it was due to "fees". I asked if they would give me a discount for the inconvenience of having an extra $1700 charged, and they said no - I pressed and they finally offered me a $15 coupon - yeah right! Then I noticed I also have a hold of $1776 on my card, in addition to the $2559.09 charge - called back and was told that would clear in 3-5 days (even though the payment has posted). I asked them why they should have $3400 of my money for a week, and they said they didn't actually have my money - pretty sure they do. Thrifty car rental is a scam operation - they don't care if their customer is satisfied and they are very good at telling you one thing and doing something different. I will never rent from this agency again, and I truly wouldn't recommend you do either.

Reserved a car online for a small SUV. Once I arrived at the destination to pick up the car, they didn't have any small SUV's available so I was forced to take a higher priced vehicle. Note - they would not match the reservation quote - even though it was no fault of mine that the vehicle I selected was unavailable that site. I requested a toll pass. It was in the car and I assumed everything was in working order. WRONG. They never activated it and sent me a bill for $65 in processing fees a month later. When I called and emailed to complain, they were unable to submit my request. No one ever followed up with me, I just received a collection notice in the mail.

THEN... well over a month after I dropped the car off I received a call from their claims office saying the vehicle had exterior damage. How in the world this is possible after I physically had to drop the car off at the airport, wait 30 minutes for an attendant to check me out, and had a thorough inspection of the vehicle. So basically 2 months after the car was dropped off and potentially other renters had used said vehicle, damage was noticed that I needed to pay for. This company has some serious ethical issues. Save yourself the hassle and pay the extra $100 for Hertz.

Terrible experience. Reserved a car with my husband as driver. When we went to pick up the car I wanted to pay for it with my credit card. The clerk advised me it's policy that the name on the card has to be the primary driver on the account. We go through all the steps to complete transaction, the sales points to up sell, he was very short and rude and seemed annoyed with us not wanting each of the extra options - key fob, pay for gas thru them, insurance, roadside assistance. I have full coverage insurance, as well as the VISA I was paying with provides rental insurance coverage, which is specifically why I used this card, and we already have roadside assistance coverage. I gave my insurance, my credit card, my license and signed for the transaction.

Once I was handed the contract it was still in my husband's name, so I questioned this and asked him why did this say my husband's name when I am the primary driver? He said he could not change the name on the reservation, but I am the primary driver in the account and I am the only one to drive the car. I trusted this information. The next day a shuttle driver hit my rental car while stopped at a stop sign. The next day I went back into Lihue Thrifty to report the accident. I was informed my husband was the only one listed as a driver on the car. I asked to speak to a Manager Mike ** and explained the situation to him. He verified the name on my credit card matched the card used to pay for the car and said, in fact, he could have changed the name and should have, but he probably didn't know how to do it because he was new.

Mike ** acknowledged it was a mistake and fixed the contract to be in my name, added my husband as an additional driver for free and even gave us $100 credit. He said he made a note in the account that I was the primary driver and I went on my way. The problem that I didn't realize at the time when the Manager fixed the contract, he created a new one that started on that day I came to report not for the 2 days prior, he just closed those out. I begin dealing with claims who initially start calling asking for my husband and I explain to them I am the primary driver. This is a mistake. They make the notes in the account I am authorized to drive, but say they cannot change contract and deal with that with customer service at Thrifty/Hertz/Dollar. So now claims is reporting this to the person's insurance who hit me and I am waiting to see what happens. Hopefully there will be no problem.

If there is I will go thru my insurance company because I have full coverage with a $500 deductible that I know Visa will cover so again no problem. I notify Visa of a potential claim, in case, the other person's insurance does not take care of this and they need all the paperwork including the initial contract. They inform me the name on the card and contract need to match on the date of the accident. Since the manager closed it, but and left it incorrect in my husband's name I do not have this to provide them. I begin contacting Thrifty/Hertz 800-334-1705 to explain that a mistake was made by a worker we rented our car from and that he did not give us the correct contract and also advised us invalid information that I need corrected to provide Visa, asking them to fix this or give me written letter stating I am the primary driver.

The first Manager I spoke to Terry #** assured me the contract was in my name and I asked him for a copy of it and he emailed me a receipt still in my husband's name, but with my name as the city on the address. I call back again and speak to Michael #**. He was just down right terrible customer service. I explained the situation. He says nope. They can't help me. I told him if a contract is in my husband's name, yet I give my card, license, and sign all the forms wouldn't that be an invalid contract then? He went on to accuse me of fraud by signing what the guy gave me when I rented the car, even though, I was told by the employee I needed to sign it. I still have yet to obtain the corrected contract. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE.

I pre-paid a reservation via the Thrifty online site. I had no idea that my reservation was then redirected to Cartrawler, which then billed through another company in Canada causing my bank to charge an international transaction fee. When I complained to Thrifty about doing this without obvious warning to the customer, I received an email from Cartrawler stating that my reservation had been canceled and a refund would be made in 10 business days. That was 5 weeks ago.

Cartrawler has been unwilling to refund the money and each contact with them results in someone telling me the person I need to speak with has left for the day. Hertz (the Thrifty parent company) says I need to deal with Cartrawler because I made the reservation with them and not Thrifty, even though it was made on Thrifty.com. Thrifty and Hertz also will not recognize the reservation because the confirmation number is international (Cartrawler is offshore) and not a U.S. confirmation number.

I had arranged car rental through a broker and prepaid for all the services that I required. When I collected the vehicle at no point were any additional insurances or fees discussed, and I was handed a document headed "incomplete RR" with estimated fees of $268.44. When I asked the clerk what these were for I was told not to worry, and that there were no additional fees to pay.

When I got back to the UK a charge had been made to my credit card of this amount and when I questioned this I was told that the insurances had been fully explained to me and that I was not entitled to any refund. I have been lied to and ripped off by Thrifty, and to cap it all when I collected the car it had not been washed and still contained the previous owners trash in the glove box and behind the Sun visor. I will never use Thrifty again, and recommend that all readers avoid these cowboys.

This company takes reservation for cars and then has none when you arrive at your destination. Waiting 1 hr in line just to be served and then wait another hour before you get the car you didn't even reserve. This company should have its business license revoked forever!

NO STARS... EXTRA EXTRA FEES, NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!! Reserved a car at Thrifty at DFW Airport, Rental quoted at $65 for 3 days. Just a bit cheaper than other Companies. At time of Rental I was informed that it was REQUIRED to BUY THRIFTY INSURANCE and the cheapest was $20 a day added to my rental fee.... THEN TOLL CHARGES were $14 a day and if I didn't buy that toll package it was going to be $15 toll violation fee plus the toll everytime a toll was charged.... That alone was over $100 additional fee... I said that was outrageous over $165 for a 3 day rental... I didn't rent from them.

The agent said I could call Thrifty to get a refund... Multiple phone calls later and an email complaint it's like trying to pull teeth to get the booking reservation of $28 back from Thrifty... It's nearly impossible... So they still get money for false advertising because they say that the required insurance charge is in their Rental conditions... PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.... NEVER RENT FROM THEM!!! Finally went to Enterprise and was out the door with an upgrade, no additional required fees for $72... BOOM LOVE ENTERPRISE... Toll charges were only $4.99 a day (if you used the toll road) plus whatever toll charges you had. That charge is much more reasonable.

In April I flew into Seattle for a two day trip. Thrifty seemed unusually busy, not enough staff. When I finally reached the counter with my reservation, I was pounded for additional coverage to DOUBLE the cost of the rental. I declined the coverage. The rental experience was fine enough on return. Nevertheless, I sure blew it on anticipating TOLL FEES in town. I had exactly one, (it's the principle though) and this week received a notice of an "ADMINISTRATIVE FEE", being charges. Oh, of course I am legally responsible indicated the document. They also noted I have "10 days to pay" but I just received the bill! (Three days to go!). Logging into the Rental FINE site, I attempted to pay online, but the site links do not work. What an operation! Beware of the Toll areas and these hidden charges folks!

First off the lines were out the door and only two clerks at JFK airport. Second the clerks mislead you to believe the amount of fees that are associated with the E-ZPass service. Third when you call them to find out why they're rude and nasty. Fourth the car I rented kept losing air in the tire. When I called I was told I had to pay a fee to have someone come to put on spare and then take time from our vacation to go switch out vehicle. Do not use them. Not even as a last resort!

As previous reviews have stated, do yourself a favor and don't rent from Thrifty. They may seem like a deal, but they have a lot of hidden charges they don't tell you about until the charges show up on your credit card. They claim they tell you about it in the large print out materials you receive, but they should tell you what to watch for at the counter. Make sure you tell them you do not want them to auto-fill the vehicle when your return it. If you don't tell them you DO NOT want the auto-fill it will show up on your agreement as an added charge. You're not saving anything! Also watch for toll roads. A month later you will be charged a $15 administrative fee for every $1.32 cent toll charge. I don't understand why companies are deceptive, but the old adage you get what you pay for is so true. Beware!

Absolutely disgusted with Thrifty in the US. Rented a car from them in May and was offered a Sunpass for tolls. This was offered for $50 for seven days. We rented the car for 11 days. Our Sat Nav was set up to avoid Tolls so didn't need the SunPass. However when we visited Tampa, due to a RTA we were re-directed down a road with a Toll. When we returned the Car we advised the clerk of this issue. They checked on the system and told us that it was okay and that no Toll charge had been issued on the car, we did offer to pay. Totally unavoidable and not in our control.

We have just had a letter from Thrifty telling us that that Toll charged us $0.53c but there was a $15 admin fee. This has already been deducted from our card. This is theft and for a $0.53c charge is totally unacceptable and we will never rent from Thrifty again and suggest people check documentation. Other companies charge a much less admin fee. We don't agree with the charge at all but we were happy to pay the fee not the admin charge. Disgusting.

Absolutely rotten experience with Thrifty Car Rental in Chicago O'Hare June 13, 2017. After suffering through a Spirit Airlines trip to save a few bucks I was lied to by the clerk and apparently signed for the "insurance" which effectively doubled the rental car cost. I have never, ever bought extra insurance on a car rental because my CC covered rentals. No relief with "customer service" as they insist on the rip-off. Now, I will tell everyone use ANYONE ELSE but Thrifty, or you'll be sorry.

I rented a Jeep Compass from Thrifty from 6/29 - 7/2. At least that is what I requested. When I arrived in Tampa Florida I was told as a convenience to not have me wait I would be upgraded to a Chevy Malibu. This was not an upgrade given I wanted a small SVU off the ground and I saw the Jeep Compass in the lot. Secondly, I was told that it would save me money to prepurchase gas and I could bring the tank back empty. I returned the tank full though the person who checked me in said it was halfway between three-fourths and full. When I tried to get the money back for the gas (that I didn't use) the representative told me the cost for one-eighth a tank of gas would come to approximately $32.00. I had prepaid $29.37.

Do not rent from this company. You will reserve one car class/group and in the disguise of an upgrade that will give you another car. Also, do not buy the repurchase. The gas was cheaper in Tampa that the rep lead me to believe. If you have to rent a car, do yourself a favor and go with a more reputable company. They will not try to nickel and dime you with fees and have a better selection of vehicles. I will never rent from Thrifty (or Dollar because they are the same company) EVER again.

I rented a car from Thrifty on May 20th from Moline IL airport. Everything was fine with the car that I rented and I returned it with a full tank of gas. I even paid for extra insurance that I didn't need because I didn't know my husband's covered car rental, which is fine. But, then I just got a charge of thirty dollars on my debit card without warning and I have no idea why. Are they going to keep my card forever and keep charging me for stuff I don't know about? It wouldn't surprise me. It seems like that is how the world makes money so I'm not surprised, but I wish I knew why I was getting charged. And I'd appreciate if they would let me know if it was a true traffic violation or do they just do this scam to every customer. Their reviews were horrible so I think it's probably the latter. Think twice before you rent a car from Thrifty.

I rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental in Morocco prior to leaving the United States. When I picked up the car in Casablanca for a 3 week rental, I found that they did not have an office, instead it was a car in the parking lot. They had my reservation for the correct amount that I had reserved the car for. They requested two credit card imprints, one for the rental fee and one for a $1700 damage deposit. They stated that they did not process the damage deposit unless there was a problem. However, they processed both charges within days of my rental, even though the rental agreement says I won't be charged until I return the car. Thrifty Car Rental now says that they have no access to the rental charges in Morocco, that it is a contract company to Thrifty and basically that it is my problem. Then the agent said "Have a good day" and hung up on me. DO NOT RENT THROUGH THRIFTY RENTAL for an international destination.

When prepaying rental Thrifty charges through an Irish company. My bank will add foreign transaction fees although I purchased rental in the US through an American company. Would recommend to use another rental company.

We made the reservation with pick up and return location at the Las Vegas airport. The Asian guy tried to ask us to buy additional insurance which we said no. He then asked us where we came from and said, "the Arkansas insurance does not cover rental cars." We said we are from Arkansas but we are with an insurance company not in Arkansas. Now looking back, this guy was totally lying as the coverage of an insurance should have nothing to do with the state of residence. Anyway, we just clearly declined any additional insurance and then this guy process with the paperwork.

We then went to pick up area to pick up the car and was asked to sign on an small iPad at the exit. Trusting the guy has not put any charge and assuming everything being taken care of, I just went ahead signed on the iPad without reading the specific items (Who would when you are sitting at the car at the exit?). We returned the car in about a week without any issue but when we came back home, we found a charge of $26.88 per day for insurance, totaling up to $161.28.

I called their CS and was transferred to a lady in the billing office. She said Thrifty will not refund because we signed the contract. I argued that we declined and were only deceived to sign. She was silent for a few seconds but still refuse to refund. I asked to speak a supervisor or manager but she said there is no supervisor or manager and she is the only person in power.

I should have come here to review numerous complaints on the same issue and then I would absolutely turn to some other car rentals. This company practice is a very unethical and even illegal manner in that they cheat the customers to sign on something declined at the very beginning. So, NEVER EVER use THRIFTY. They STEAL your money!!!!

Thrifty car rental adds a $15 fee to any toll not paid even if the toll is impossible to pay due to the way the toll is collected via plate camera. No possible way existed to pay the toll except by plate. No cash is accepted yet, Thrifty charges $15 per toll. Even if the toll is $0.10. This is reprehensible conduct for a company. They are profiting from our inability to pay a toll as we go.

I wish I had looked up reviews before I booked. Thrifty advertises very low rates online but they will add numerous charges on top of what is shown when you book online. If you do not get them to specify exactly what the charges are, the employees will overcharge you. Two employees attempted to charge me for an extra day of rental, saying that I brought the car back an hour late. We took out the car at 1 pm and brought it back just before 1 pm on the drop-off date. Additionally, it was not explained to me when I picked up the car that they would be putting a $246 hold on my credit card. I am now waiting for the funds to be released. I would advise anybody to go with a more reputable company that gives you the total amount upfront. This company operates under 3 different names in one location and have a separate company that handles the booking.

THRIFTY CAR RENTAL (SUCKS!) I declined the fuel charge on my vehicle, however I returned my vehicle on full. The attendant verified my vehicle was all in order before I left. I received a bill with the correct charges, then 10 minutes or so later, I received an updated bill with a fuel charge. I did not keep the receipt from the gas station because everything was in order and I did fill the car up at a gas station within 10 miles from the return location. I called customer service and they would not help me remove the charge, I even spoke with a manager (Mark) and he would not help me either. I called back and got another representative who would remove half of the charge.

The return process for cars is flawed! If there is a discrepancy it should be noted and made aware by the attendant immediately upon return, not after the fact nor when the customer has already left the site location and more problematic the state the vehicle was returned. Even if I did keep the receipt, I would still be upset with the fact that I have to forward the receipt to remove such a charge.

I am an extremely upset customer and because of this incident I will never use 'Thrifty' ever again! I make for certain to always follow car rental rules and am a very responsible individual who most certainly understands return the car with the amount of gas it was taken from upon receipt. I travel often and rent cars often and this has never happened to me before! Totally upset and completely dissatisfied with the process and the customer service!

Compare Rental Cars