3.1/5 (715 ratings)

About Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I booked my car via rental.com and it was nothing but a nightmare. The address they had provided in the confirmation email was wrong, consequently we couldn't reach the place before closing. Next day, I asked rental.ca to rebook and was told nothing was available. We walked into the Thrifty downtown and Tanbir was so helpful from beginning to end. Sure, we got a vehicle and even saved some money. Return experience was great as well, I had forgotten some change in the car and the person who checked the vehicle brought it back to us. Very honest and helpful staff at 114, 5th SE. Way to go Thrifty.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Coby, at Thrifty's GEG Car Rental provided EXEMPLARY Customer Service. Like a bright, shining lighthouse beacon to a lost ship - LONG AFTER Thrifty's closing time of 12:30am, and with no confirmation that I would still be taking the rental (not factoring in my 2½ hour flight delay out of Denver, the "system" had already given away my vehicle!) - Coby greeted me at the counter with a huge smile, charisma and SOLUTIONS. There were no more compact cars available. With patience, kindness and creativity he calmed a somewhat frizzed 67 year old gal down, set me up with a car I could be comfortable with, and earned my EXTREME GRATITUDE. Thanks and huge KUDOS go to Coby, and cred to Thrifty for hiring such a gem.

The back story: Flying from Tampa, with connections in Austin and Denver - there was a 2½ hour flight delay on the final leg - not landing us in Spokane until AFTER 1am, instead of the anticipated 10:30pm. The rental car counter closed at 12:30am, and I had resigned myself to sleeping at the airport until Thrifty reopened at 6am. After the initial flight delay of what was supposed to be only an hour, I actually HAD attempted to call Thrifty's toll free number, only to hear "Our office is closed. Please call back on the next business day." (Ugh.) LESSON LEARNED here… I should have dug deeper, as Thrifty at GEG has a direct (509) 838-8223. (Duh.) So…. sending gratitude to COBY… I wish joy, health, vitality and contentment to you and all whom you cherish. You are #1 in my book!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Fantastic rental cars and a staff who are always ready to be more than helpful. The rental automobile agent and agency made everything crystal clear by pointing out and explaining every detail regarding the the total accumulated and final costs. The agent went above overboard by finding out if I had comprehensive insurance coverage on my automobile through my present agent. Since I didn’t, the agent offered me comprehensive insurance coverage through their company.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Overall renting with Thrifty was satisfied. Customer service was very helpful. One thing that caught my eye was, the car was a bit dirty even though there was a sticker on the outside stated that the car was cleaned.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Can't express enough how awful and unethical this company is. They totally scammed me. I had made a reservation through a third-party service (Hotwire) and the guy at the counter in Atlanta went into the usual upgrade song and dance. I usually just decline, but in this case I needed a little extra space, so I listened. The guy showed me a number on his screen: $769. He represented that would be the total I'd pay on what was originally a $560 reservation. I thought $200 more was doable. But no! The upgrade was actually $769 ON TOP OF the original $560—in other words, more than double what I had already paid. When I figured out later what happened, I demanded they make good on an obviously deceptive transaction. They grudgingly (after hours of my time and effort) refunded half of the $769, but they wouldn't honor my request to refund everything except the upgrade I was told I was paying for. All I can say is: Lesson learned. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I ordered a rental online through Thrifty. Upon arriving at the Airport I was offered an upgrade from the $53/day “Luxury Car” that I already reserved to an Infiniti, which usually goes for $110/day but he could get it to me for $75/day, so it made sense to pay an extra $22/day for more comfort. Much to my dismay, when I went to return the car I got charged 3 days at $53/day for the original rental (that I never drove), then I got charged another 3 days at $75/day for the upgrade, so it cost me $516 to rent a beat-up Infiniti QX60 for 3 days!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I rented the car on-line for, I showed the paperwork to confirm the car and the price, signed for the car - no other price was shown or given- and as on my way.

Later I was looking at my cc charges and saw that they had charged me an extra $415.00. Toll charges?? Which they letter removed. Extra fees and insurances I never agreed. When you sign the cc pad they don't show a total and they said I had signed for and agreed to everything.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I left my prescription Ray-Ban sunglasses in the passenger side door of our rental car. These are obviously no good to anyone else as have a prescription. No one ever responded to my lost report and despite frequently contacting the main office by phone, they were apparently unable to communicate directly with the Toronto Pearson airport location where my car was returned and never replied to multiple direct emails to this location. There is absolutely no way they didn’t find them and I think it’s appalling they were obviously stolen and didn’t even bother to contact me. I will never rent a car from them again for this reason.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Ensure that you take a picture when getting the car and when returning. The charged my card for gas when I already put gas in the car. I called and emailed several times however no one was able to assist!! Now I have to contact my bank for the refund!! Save yourself the head and do not rent a car from them!!!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Worst Car rental company ever!! Not only did Thrifty not have the vehicle that I reserved and pre-paid for a week before, but then failed to refund my money!! I ended up having to rent a car through Budget after they left my son and I stranded at midnight at the airport with no car, which cost me $120+ more!! Then when I got back home and saw they still had not refunded me, I dispute the charge on my Credit card, which was initially reversed. Now, however Thrifty "lied" and indicated to my credit card co., that I did get a car from them. This is forcing me to have file a case in small claims court because of this plus the aggravation!! Don't do Business with THRIFTY Car Rental!!!!

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information