Thrifty Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Despite prepaying for my rental car in advance before my trip, I was tricked into paying 2x more by these thieves in insurance LDW when I arrived at the counter. Then I was told to pick any economy car in the aisle and guess what only one car was available after being directed by two different Thrifty employees in Ft Lauderdale that couldn't even speak english. The car that was available was dirty and stained seats inside and drove like the transmission was failing, jerking and sometimes stalling out. So I would never, ever rent from these people again.

When picking up our reserved car, I asked if my husband could drive the car. The agent said that would be "no problem" but did not tell us that I would be charged $78 dollars more on my credit card for him to do so! Almost 6 months later, I was going through credit card statements and noticed with that added charge plus increased tax, I had been charged almost $100 more than what I had been told as far as the fee!! I planned to call the company, but shortly thereafter had to have emergency heart surgery. I got behind in my husband's business bookwork etc., due to surgery and recovery time, and was not able to call Thrifty until after 6 mos had passed from the rental time. They said they would not be able to find my rental number because of the time and could do nothing to help. But, then, they said my husband signed the contract! How did they know that if they could not locate the rental number!! I would never recommend this company!

Was charged 309 miles instead of 60 miles over my limit 310 miles. Called "boss" Saad ** at thrifty Melbourne airport multi, multi times. He never return. Posted miles cheating on their website. No response. Holding $100 of their charge in dispute box. Terrible company. Don't know if they instruct employee to cheat or just a bad apple who worked that afternoon I return car 12/26. This should not go away without noise and bad publicity for a rotten company.

While visiting Las Vegas, rented car though Southwest. When got to window rep said that I was eligible for an upgrade with the credit card I was using quoted $12.00 a day. Then asked if I want to include the insurance which I said yes to the LDW. However I did not ask to check my receipt before I signed for the car. I was not shown what my charges were going to be. So when I did look at the receipt to find out my return time I was shocked to find my charges were 629.91 but when I got home I looked at my credit card and seen that the charge was $738.00. I will never rent from them again. So be warned to check before you sign. Also the car we received sounded like a rattle trap. Not sure if this was the brand or looked like one of doors had been painted over. Maybe it was in a wreck.

I picked up my car on a very wet dark day at Sea-Tac at approximately 2:55 PM on Jan 26, 2017. I had proceeded to the pickup point on the third lower level of the parking garage. The lighting at that level was very poor when I inspected my car before driving away and it appeared to be O.K. I drove the car 115 miles to a home and later to another home, then returned to first home, then finally to the airport for the car return prior to my leaving on my flight to Phoenix, AZ on Jan 29, 2017 at 9:17 AM.

I was informed at my car return that there was slight damage to the lower right corner of the bumper (this type of damage could only come from a street curb, and the only curb that I was near was only about 2 inches high at my son's home). A slight rock chip to the very upper edge of the windshield was also discovered. These damages had to have been there when I inspected the car, but due to the poor lighting conditions I did not see them. I would have had to have a flashlight to see them. Please correct this kind of a situation. I suggest that you inform this Sea-Tac location to provide inspection flashlights to their customers at the car pickup, so all concerned may "be sure" that there is no damage to the car. I don't remember ever renting a car from Thrifty before, but this experience may have been a learning experience. Don't rent from Thrifty?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

I rented a vehicle with Thrifty for my business associate from Ecuador (who was not familiar with norms of customer service from a car rental company in the US) because it was the most economic option available. Upon receiving the vehicle, he was handed the keys to a smaller vehicle than I had reserved and told "Go get your car over in that corner." The car was still wet from being washed, and NO ONE FROM THRIFTY CHECKED OVER THE CAR FOR SCRATCHES AND DENTS in his presence. He wasn't asked to sign anything. He left the Miami airport and later had to pull over to use his water bottle to wash the windshield b/c there was NO WINDSHIELD FLUID.

I called to complain about the size of the car, the poor service and lack of windshield fluid only to get transferred from one operator to the next between Dollar and Thrifty, and NO ONE COULD REPORT MY COMPLAINTS NOR DID THEY OFFER AN APOLOGY. The only positive thing about this experience is that the renter went to another Thrifty branch where he switched the rental for a car that represented the reserved size and had windshield fluid.

It gets worse... the renter returned the vehicle to MIA and saw that there was a very long line of angry customers who were in a hurry. So, when it was his turn, he was rushed out of the car and DIDN'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO REVIEW THE CAR FOR ITEMS LEFT BEHIND. He had a lot of luggage, and unfortunately, he didn't realize until he was already at the check-in counter that he had left behind a laptop computer on top of the trunk cover. He went back to Thrifty less than 45 min later to recover the laptop. The car had already been washed and the computer was gone. The manager said that the only thing he could do was file a report online and wait until the lost and found opened 3 days later after the weekend. The on-duty manager WOULD NOT take action to speak with Thrifty employees in the car wash or vehicle return to inquire about the missing laptop.

I just spoke with the person in charge of the Lost and Found. She said that she did not find anything and told me the following: maybe the renter left the computer at the hotel, maybe another customer who was returning his vehicle took the computer from my friend's car, maybe the next customer who is renting the car took the computer, I could call the police to file a report, I could submit a report online to the lost and found (even though I told her several times I had already done this). She was NOT WILLING to investigate with the employees who washed the car or handled the return to see if any of them saw the computer. Apparently, the police can do this three days later?!? This resulted in a loss of over $900. I was never once even offered an apology for the horrible service during the various phone calls (other than I'm sorry I can't do anything for you). IN CONCLUSION, DON'T EVER RENT FROM THRIFTY, not even if it's free!!!

Bought and prepaid rental through VIPCARS.COM. Picked up at MIA INTL asking to add extras: GPS, 2nd driver and fuel. After 10 miles and 10 changes of route was clear that GPS was malfunctioning. It took 5 1/2 hrs to get to key west, only by switching off GPS and using mobile ph with internet connection with intercontinental rates. When returning our rented car they told us our contract looked like closed, sent to the manager, we were asked to show again license and cr/card (just in case... we will let you know via email). No communication received. Requested more than $1000 on our AmEx, rejected, waiting for explanations... This was our first and last rent with Thrifty. Not again.

I had an original rental for 15 days from Ft. Lauderdale airport. In the middle of the rental period, the car I was given, A 2016 Escape, experienced engine shut down, while I traveled solo on I-95. I immediately went back to the rental agency to switch out vehicles. The operator closed out and reopened a new agreement instead of just modifying the existing agreement. This equated to me a duplicate of all the extra fees due to his error. Thrifty states there is nothing they can do to refund, that it is my responsibility even though it was faulty car and employee error. I was also charged a different price than originally quoted for an extra day. Definitely bootleg company and representatives.

The agent added insurance I didn't need and an upgrade I didn't ask for. I caught the insurance but not the upgrade. Trying to get hold of someone in Customer Service is a nightmare and the agent would only say, "You signed the contract." I explained our flight was delayed, we were tired, and there was a line behind us, and I never authorized an upgrade. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the Customer Service (not) would not let me talk to a supervisor.

Be very cautious when renting from this company. They offered me for an upgrade for $10/day. Assured me would be larger more nice vehicle. The car was having issues with acceleration. When I called roadside assistance there was not another sister location near by to trade vehicles. I informed the tenant at the counter I was traveling a long distance with a small child. I feel robbed considering I was quoted $135 and was charged over double. I will never recommend or return business with such a scam. Highly advise other car rentals. Do not get trapped in a "good deal".

I picked up a rental car during Thanksgiving week 2016 and paid car insurance with my credit card. Early January, my credit card company calls me that my credit card just had an unauthorized transaction. That credit card was used only once and only at Thrifty Car Rental at LAX during the whole year. Their employees stole my credit card information since that was the ONLY location that had access to my card. According to my credit card company, the employee/s stole the number and duplicated the card. I am sure that I am not the only person who's information was stolen. If this person/s is ever get caught and come to my country, I will seriously have their hands cut off for theft.

I am yet one more person who made the mistake of renting with these thieves. I was never offered a "SunPass" and apparently FL cut costs by going with automation (getting rid of all the toll folks). No problem. However when I got the bill for the tolls of which I would gladly pay, these thieves charged 15.00 per entrance fee. "Administrative Fee" You can ** me once... Never again and will of course not pay this but fight it on general principle. Go with Costco, Alamo, Uber, whomever but not these guys. Stay away at all costs!

Such tricky person I didn't see in my life. One moment I start believe I am at Nicaragua, not in Florida. The person who assist me was very kind, he smile to me and did his job. He took advantage at me. I sure hundred percent. I book my economy car online and paid 143.00 for 4 days. The rest 26.00 I should pay at counter. So when I came I told that I need small insurance like road assistant, which include in package reduce risk. I am the customer and I choose what I need. He said ok and show me big smile. I left with car, I was very quick. It was 29 December. A lot of task should be done.

Next day I check my credit card and I was surprised. He charge me 191.00. Beside all I already paid 143.00. It's for small economy car for 4 days. But my frustration was, when I came to office to talk to this guy. He was so rude, he didn't want to talk and all time he threaten me with police. I said I don't care. Eventually he call to police and said, that I make something wrong in his office. When police came I explained what happened. After all I was very sad that police in this country on side of that crooks and greedy pigs. There are no customer service at many places today. It's very sad.

I've used Thrifty/Dollar for many years with absolutely no problems and have always enjoyed the experience (5 stars for reasonable rental fees and customer service). However, my latest visit was not as enjoyable as I had hoped. I visit my mom every year for the holidays in MA (I'm from IL) and, as is the case in many states, the toll roads have become all electronic. If you are familiar with Boston Logan airport at all, you'll know that the only (and easiest) way to head due west (to Springfield) is to take the MA turnpike.

By Thanksgiving of 2016 the MA pike had become completely electronic - no more ability to pay cash. The total toll is reasonable for the 2 hour trip - $8. However, Thrifty adds an admin fee of $15 on top of the toll (in this day and age of electronic processing what exactly does that $15 cover?). While that charge in and of itself is not so bad (though still somewhat unreasonable) they actually charge it for EACH toll - I hit several toll "cameras" on my way from Logan to Springfield even though I never got off the pike. Each toll is separate and triggers a separate $15 admin fee (the counter clerk never mentioned this, but corporate told me it is "embedded" in the contract somewhere).

Bottom line - Thrifty is asking me to pay $105 in admin fees for total tolls of $15.70. VERY UNREASONABLE. I called to complain and after getting shuffled from customer service rep to customer service rep (8 times) the last one said there is nothing she could do about it and that I should sue them. Very unprofessional and I just might take her advice. I will NEVER rent from them again.

We rented our car in Jacksonville Florida. We returned it in Miami Florida. While traveling we had to use toll road. We did not have a sun pass (we are from New Jersey). There is no way to pay the toll. They charge the car license plate. Our tolls were 7.39. THRIFTY CHARGED US 97.39 for ADMINISTRATION FEES!!! I will never rent from them ever in the future.

Beware the Dishonesty. I rented a car at Thrifty in the Fort Myers, FL airport and when I got to the counter I was very adamant about not wanting to buy extra insurance and not needing an upgrades for a fancier vehicle. I told the woman (Mona) that I just wanted what I booked on-line and that a compact car (Ford Focus) was just fine for my quick trip. After repeating myself several times through her persistent attempts of up-selling me she finally conceded to what I was saying and had me sign the last page of the rental agreement that specifically showed that I was opting out of Liability Insurance and assured me that the car was exactly what I booked on-line.

When I returned the car and received the final bill of 191.17 for a 3 day Ford Focus rental I was shocked. There were charges for roadside assistance and Loss Damage Insurance that we never even spoke about. She never once showed me the itemized breakdown of costs and assured me that everything was per my on-line booking registration. The only form she showed me was the declining of the liability insurance and had me sign that page. My on-line booking was for 67.41 and my total bill at the end was for 191.17. I called customer service and they were not willing to help and were also rude on the phone adding insult to injury. I will never use or recommend Thrifty again.

The worst customer service experience at pick up 11/28/16 and at time of return 12/9/16. I got overcharged and was treated very rudely by the counter staff. I booked a 10 day rental and the counter staff without my permission changed the rental to 7 days plus a 5 individual day rental. My concerned were never conveyed to the boss. DO NOT SHOP WITH THIS RENTAL CAR COMPANY. Take your business elsewhere.

If I could give Thrifty NO stars, I would. Booked a Toyota Corolla Thrifty car online through CarRentals.com. Cost was $166 for 6 days. When I went to pick up the car, the agent asked me where I was going and when I said Pennsylvania, I was told a midsize car would cost me $168 A DAY. Turns out, Thrifty can only operate in certain states. (I found this out through the Alamo agent we ultimately wound up booking). This is NOT made clear in either the CarRentals website or the Thrifty website. You really have to HUNT to find the small print on this.

The agent was snippy and curt; her remark was--"YOU obviously didn't read the terms and conditions." There was absolutely NO indication on the CarRentals website before I booked the car to indicate that these types of restrictions apply. One should not have to read through paragraph after paragraph of legalese to book something in good faith. I have rented cars in the past, but I have NEVER had this problem before. I will never use Thrifty again. I'm also very disappointed in CarRentals.com for not pointing out these restrictions before I hit the "confirm reservation" button.

I booked a compact rental car through Chase Ultimate Rewards. The rental cost $24.00 and was only being booked for a single day. When I got to the Thrifty counter they told me back my last name but it didn't seem like they had my reservation. I told the clerk I didn't want any extra services. No gps, no insurance, etc. He gave me a receipt which I thought was well and good.

After inspecting it (I had returned home) I had been charged $54.00. This was even wrong because the receipt itself claimed I was charged $46.50. This fee included $28 per day rental (wrong), tax, and $7.99 for premium roadside assistance which I said, verbally, to the clerk that I didn't want ANY additional services. I checked my credit card statement later that night and found they charged me again for about $50. So around $100 for not even a full 24 hrs of having the car (I filled it past full with fuel before returning, possible by squeezing the pump after the first auto shutoff) and returned it in the same condition I got it in, 10 minutes before it was due.

Thrifty at New Orleans airport: I was deceitfully charged with "Loss Dmg Wvr" for $28.49 per day, and, "Prem Road Serv" for $7.99 per day. I was charged "Concession Fee Recovery" $15.09, and "Cust Fac Chg" $31.80. NONE of these charges were every asked for nor offered or explained but deceitfully tacked on to the bill of a weary traveler standing in the front of a long line at the airport. Sleazy predators.

My son and his girlfriend flew into Denver, CO for the weekend. They rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental on Friday and returned it on Sunday. While driving around the Denver/Boulder area they assessed toll fees of $21.60 (I'm assuming cameras take a photo of your license plate and then you are sent a bill in the mail since there isn't a place to pay immediately). The toll company forwarded the bill to Thrifty car rental company. Instead of Thrifty forwarding the bill to my son so he could pay the $21.60, Thrifty charged my son $90 in admin fees to pay the toll charge. Then sent my son a bill for $111.60. Thrifty refers to this as a 'COURTESY' and promises not to assess their customers no more than 6 admin fees.

If you consider to rent a car at Thrifty just please go to some other place. I’ve rented the car for 6 days. The estimated price for day was about 18$ per day. Additionally, to that they included all extra insurances of which I was not even aware of!!! Then I had to return the car earlier, so the price for day went up to 48$ per day, which ridiculously higher compared to any other rental company. Additionally, to that they made me to pay 25$ fee for early return. Also, just to let you know if you’re late for an hour, they will charge you the insurance fee for the whole next day. I would never come back to this company again.

I rented from Thrifty late on the evening of November 22 in Louisville, KY. Normally I am asked if I want the extra insurance coverages but this agent simply presented me a sheet of paper and asked if I wanted their high-end coverage, medium coverage, or basic coverage. Because I am covered for any of the extra insurance changes via my personal car insurance, I made the assumption that their basic coverage was what I needed to choose and accepted that. There was no explanation that this included a $28 per day surcharge for Loss Damage Waiver and premium roadside assistance at $8 per day, effectively doubling my daily rental fee.

While it is my fault for not reading the printout that was produced at the end, this is the first time renting that I have not specifically been given the opportunity to decline all of the insurance offerings. Usually when that happens I receive the hard sell to accept the insurance surcharges. I feel that Thrifty has designed a program at the rental counter to not inform the renter of their options and to upsell to higher rates without full disclosure. Given this experience with Thrifty, I will no longer rent from them as I feel that I was taken advantage of.

Don't use Thrifty Car Rental. They are an absolute rip off. They charged me $1000 for a rental I kept 3 days!! They told me my bill was closed at $63, which is what I authorized for, then later charged my bank account over a thousand dollars causing me to go into the negative and possibly not be able to pay my rent. They are frauds and have no morals or values as a company...

Last weekend I had a Thrifty car (Hyundai Accent) and had a flat. There was no spare and no repair kit. I had to have the car towed and replace the flat tire. The car was not available for a time and I needed transportation. I called Thrifty and they said I would be reimbursed for the tire and prorated for the time the car was unavailable to me. So I got another rental. After the hassle of getting the Thrifty rental car back to the agency I was told that the repair would not be reimbursed and that I was required to pay the full amount of the rental even though the car was unavailable. Two big issues here: 1- not safe to have a car without a way to take care of a flat, 2- lack of integrity after promising to reimburse for the flat and pro-rate for the time the car was unavailable due to car being ill-equipped for a flat. I got stuck with expense for 2 car rentals and replacing a tire. To me this seems like a bad way to treat a customer.

I made the mistake of booking a rental by phone through Thrifty for Logan. I used my debit card and received an email confirmation. When I arrived at their counter I was informed they don't accept debit cards and they refused my rental. To make matters worse, they said the fine print of the booking allows them to keep the $100 they took from my card. When I tried to get the money back by calling the number given me, they put me on hold -- indefinitely. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!

Rented a Thrifty car through a package deal using Travelocity.com. I've used Travelocity several times in the past but only for airfare. This was my first time using Thrifty. The Thrifty agent at Seattle-Tacoma airport 11/5/2016 tried to upsell me a larger vehicle which I didn't need. I refused. I also refused all add-ons. When I signed the agreement there was a charge for ~$110 which I thought was the weekly discount rate I got through Travelocity. Unfortunately, Travelocity didn't provide an invoice with separate charges so all I had was the total for airfare and car rental.

When I got home I checked my Credit Card charges and realized I had prepaid the car rental and that the Thrifty receipt was for LIS (Liability Insurance). I contacted Thrifty customer service through email and they replied that since I had signed the agreement with the charges they won't refund the $110. The car itself was fine, but based on other complaints here, it seems that adding extra charges is a common scamming practice of theirs. In the end it definitely wasn't a thrifty rental. #NeverAgainThrifty

I prepaid for a compact car a few months before my trip thinking I was getting a military discount. Once at the airport the lines for rental cars were very long, so when I got to the counter things seemed rushed. I was told no compacts were available, and I was upgraded to a mid-size car. (Not realizing I was charged $15.00 more per day.) I was also charged with full insurance even though I mentioned I'm covered. ($28.49 more per day.) We tried to leave with the 1st car and the attendant said it needed an oil change and made us take it back. We took a 2nd car and got out of the garage and onto the highway before the RPM went in the red so I took it back. (While returning this car we saw another couple returning the 1st car.)

When we got the 3rd car everything seemed fine. When I came back 2 days later to return it I saw my bill was $247.00 more than I first paid for. I asked how can I get this corrected and was told I had to dispute now or it won't be disputed. Well this is where they have you over a barrel. I had an hour before my flight but then line to fix this was too long. When I got home I called and they were very understanding and offered a full $25.00 back. That's it. I feel it's a real bait and switch and will never use THRIFTY again.

Booked on Expedia. It said I booked compact or larger. (They pick.) Price was reasonable so I went for it. Got to Thrifty Rental and they were going to give us such a small vehicle can't even fit us in. When I booked it said compact or larger but of course he would only give us the smallest one possible! He said we could upgrade which we had to even though it was still a small car. It costed $27 more a day (which he did not make clear) as our total was then looking at $312 additional for 10 days! I interpreted him as we just had to pay the difference between what we paid before and now. NOPE! He was not clear at all!!! PLUS he added an additional driver and I lamented to him how awesome this company is for giving an additional free driver for free!!! He didn't say anything. Just charged us and I even said to him how nice a company and that I would come to them for that added benefit! NOPE!!!

Later I called Thrifty and they said "No we charge and if you booked you are the only allowed driver!" I'm so ashamed at this company. I don't think they deserve any business whatsoever! I called and asked to talk to someone higher up and they said there is no one! So our trip ended up being way above budget! The guy also asked if we have AAA and we said "No." He said he would add it to bring down price which he didn't!!! Lie!

I reserved and prepaid an SUV to be picked up late at night on November 6, 2016, at the New Orleans airport. I had to walk about a half mile to get to the rental car building. I presented my reservation, my driver's license and my debit card with Visa logo, and indicated that the vehicle had already been paid for. I understood there would be an additional hold on my bank card and that a credit check would be performed. I explained that I do not use credit cards so no doubt my score would be very low. My PREPAID vehicle was declined on the basis of the credit check. I was stranded in the middle of the night with no rental car. Luckily, I walked two counters down and rented a car from Enterprise in about 10 minutes. After dealing with the medical situation that I was in town for, I called, as I had been instructed to do by the Thrifty counter agent, to acquire a refund of my prepaid amount, which was 132 and change dollars.

After being run around and around and around by these clowns, I finally got the right person. I was told there was NO refund. Period. I prepaid. I did not rent the car because they would not allow me to, and I would get no refund. I asked for a supervisor. In a bored and increasingly rude voice I was informed that a supervisor would tell me the same thing and there was no supervisor available and no, I could not have a supervisor call me back nor could I hold until one was available. I was finally told I could be sent an email to beg them to refund the charge and while it probably would not be refunded I was welcome to knock myself out trying. The words "beg" and "knock myself out" were THEIR words, not mine.

I am returning from my trip, today, November 10. I will call my bank and report a fraudulent charge because that is surely what this is, pure and simple. I will also look into filing a small claims action because it is wrong to take people's money, then NOT provide the product or service and keep the money. How ABSURD! Maybe I will even try to get on one of those judge shows--I would LOVE to warn everyone in this country about this TOTAL SCAM!!

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.
  • Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.
  • First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.
  • Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.
  • Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.
  • Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Compare Rental Cars