Thrifty Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had an original rental for 15 days from Ft. Lauderdale airport. In the middle of the rental period, the car I was given, A 2016 Escape, experienced engine shut down, while I traveled solo on I-95. I immediately went back to the rental agency to switch out vehicles. The operator closed out and reopened a new agreement instead of just modifying the existing agreement. This equated to me a duplicate of all the extra fees due to his error. Thrifty states there is nothing they can do to refund, that it is my responsibility even though it was faulty car and employee error. I was also charged a different price than originally quoted for an extra day. Definitely bootleg company and representatives.

The agent added insurance I didn't need and an upgrade I didn't ask for. I caught the insurance but not the upgrade. Trying to get hold of someone in Customer Service is a nightmare and the agent would only say, "You signed the contract." I explained our flight was delayed, we were tired, and there was a line behind us, and I never authorized an upgrade. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the Customer Service (not) would not let me talk to a supervisor.

Be very cautious when renting from this company. They offered me for an upgrade for $10/day. Assured me would be larger more nice vehicle. The car was having issues with acceleration. When I called roadside assistance there was not another sister location near by to trade vehicles. I informed the tenant at the counter I was traveling a long distance with a small child. I feel robbed considering I was quoted $135 and was charged over double. I will never recommend or return business with such a scam. Highly advise other car rentals. Do not get trapped in a "good deal".

I picked up a rental car during Thanksgiving week 2016 and paid car insurance with my credit card. Early January, my credit card company calls me that my credit card just had an unauthorized transaction. That credit card was used only once and only at Thrifty Car Rental at LAX during the whole year. Their employees stole my credit card information since that was the ONLY location that had access to my card. According to my credit card company, the employee/s stole the number and duplicated the card. I am sure that I am not the only person who's information was stolen. If this person/s is ever get caught and come to my country, I will seriously have their hands cut off for theft.

I am yet one more person who made the mistake of renting with these thieves. I was never offered a "SunPass" and apparently FL cut costs by going with automation (getting rid of all the toll folks). No problem. However when I got the bill for the tolls of which I would gladly pay, these thieves charged 15.00 per entrance fee. "Administrative Fee" You can ** me once... Never again and will of course not pay this but fight it on general principle. Go with Costco, Alamo, Uber, whomever but not these guys. Stay away at all costs!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Thrifty?

Such tricky person I didn't see in my life. One moment I start believe I am at Nicaragua, not in Florida. The person who assist me was very kind, he smile to me and did his job. He took advantage at me. I sure hundred percent. I book my economy car online and paid 143.00 for 4 days. The rest 26.00 I should pay at counter. So when I came I told that I need small insurance like road assistant, which include in package reduce risk. I am the customer and I choose what I need. He said ok and show me big smile. I left with car, I was very quick. It was 29 December. A lot of task should be done.

Next day I check my credit card and I was surprised. He charge me 191.00. Beside all I already paid 143.00. It's for small economy car for 4 days. But my frustration was, when I came to office to talk to this guy. He was so rude, he didn't want to talk and all time he threaten me with police. I said I don't care. Eventually he call to police and said, that I make something wrong in his office. When police came I explained what happened. After all I was very sad that police in this country on side of that crooks and greedy pigs. There are no customer service at many places today. It's very sad.

I've used Thrifty/Dollar for many years with absolutely no problems and have always enjoyed the experience (5 stars for reasonable rental fees and customer service). However, my latest visit was not as enjoyable as I had hoped. I visit my mom every year for the holidays in MA (I'm from IL) and, as is the case in many states, the toll roads have become all electronic. If you are familiar with Boston Logan airport at all, you'll know that the only (and easiest) way to head due west (to Springfield) is to take the MA turnpike.

By Thanksgiving of 2016 the MA pike had become completely electronic - no more ability to pay cash. The total toll is reasonable for the 2 hour trip - $8. However, Thrifty adds an admin fee of $15 on top of the toll (in this day and age of electronic processing what exactly does that $15 cover?). While that charge in and of itself is not so bad (though still somewhat unreasonable) they actually charge it for EACH toll - I hit several toll "cameras" on my way from Logan to Springfield even though I never got off the pike. Each toll is separate and triggers a separate $15 admin fee (the counter clerk never mentioned this, but corporate told me it is "embedded" in the contract somewhere).

Bottom line - Thrifty is asking me to pay $105 in admin fees for total tolls of $15.70. VERY UNREASONABLE. I called to complain and after getting shuffled from customer service rep to customer service rep (8 times) the last one said there is nothing she could do about it and that I should sue them. Very unprofessional and I just might take her advice. I will NEVER rent from them again.

We rented our car in Jacksonville Florida. We returned it in Miami Florida. While traveling we had to use toll road. We did not have a sun pass (we are from New Jersey). There is no way to pay the toll. They charge the car license plate. Our tolls were 7.39. THRIFTY CHARGED US 97.39 for ADMINISTRATION FEES!!! I will never rent from them ever in the future.

Beware the Dishonesty. I rented a car at Thrifty in the Fort Myers, FL airport and when I got to the counter I was very adamant about not wanting to buy extra insurance and not needing an upgrades for a fancier vehicle. I told the woman (Mona) that I just wanted what I booked on-line and that a compact car (Ford Focus) was just fine for my quick trip. After repeating myself several times through her persistent attempts of up-selling me she finally conceded to what I was saying and had me sign the last page of the rental agreement that specifically showed that I was opting out of Liability Insurance and assured me that the car was exactly what I booked on-line.

When I returned the car and received the final bill of 191.17 for a 3 day Ford Focus rental I was shocked. There were charges for roadside assistance and Loss Damage Insurance that we never even spoke about. She never once showed me the itemized breakdown of costs and assured me that everything was per my on-line booking registration. The only form she showed me was the declining of the liability insurance and had me sign that page. My on-line booking was for 67.41 and my total bill at the end was for 191.17. I called customer service and they were not willing to help and were also rude on the phone adding insult to injury. I will never use or recommend Thrifty again.

The worst customer service experience at pick up 11/28/16 and at time of return 12/9/16. I got overcharged and was treated very rudely by the counter staff. I booked a 10 day rental and the counter staff without my permission changed the rental to 7 days plus a 5 individual day rental. My concerned were never conveyed to the boss. DO NOT SHOP WITH THIS RENTAL CAR COMPANY. Take your business elsewhere.

If I could give Thrifty NO stars, I would. Booked a Toyota Corolla Thrifty car online through CarRentals.com. Cost was $166 for 6 days. When I went to pick up the car, the agent asked me where I was going and when I said Pennsylvania, I was told a midsize car would cost me $168 A DAY. Turns out, Thrifty can only operate in certain states. (I found this out through the Alamo agent we ultimately wound up booking). This is NOT made clear in either the CarRentals website or the Thrifty website. You really have to HUNT to find the small print on this.

The agent was snippy and curt; her remark was--"YOU obviously didn't read the terms and conditions." There was absolutely NO indication on the CarRentals website before I booked the car to indicate that these types of restrictions apply. One should not have to read through paragraph after paragraph of legalese to book something in good faith. I have rented cars in the past, but I have NEVER had this problem before. I will never use Thrifty again. I'm also very disappointed in CarRentals.com for not pointing out these restrictions before I hit the "confirm reservation" button.

I booked a compact rental car through Chase Ultimate Rewards. The rental cost $24.00 and was only being booked for a single day. When I got to the Thrifty counter they told me back my last name but it didn't seem like they had my reservation. I told the clerk I didn't want any extra services. No gps, no insurance, etc. He gave me a receipt which I thought was well and good.

After inspecting it (I had returned home) I had been charged $54.00. This was even wrong because the receipt itself claimed I was charged $46.50. This fee included $28 per day rental (wrong), tax, and $7.99 for premium roadside assistance which I said, verbally, to the clerk that I didn't want ANY additional services. I checked my credit card statement later that night and found they charged me again for about $50. So around $100 for not even a full 24 hrs of having the car (I filled it past full with fuel before returning, possible by squeezing the pump after the first auto shutoff) and returned it in the same condition I got it in, 10 minutes before it was due.

Thrifty at New Orleans airport: I was deceitfully charged with "Loss Dmg Wvr" for $28.49 per day, and, "Prem Road Serv" for $7.99 per day. I was charged "Concession Fee Recovery" $15.09, and "Cust Fac Chg" $31.80. NONE of these charges were every asked for nor offered or explained but deceitfully tacked on to the bill of a weary traveler standing in the front of a long line at the airport. Sleazy predators.

My son and his girlfriend flew into Denver, CO for the weekend. They rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental on Friday and returned it on Sunday. While driving around the Denver/Boulder area they assessed toll fees of $21.60 (I'm assuming cameras take a photo of your license plate and then you are sent a bill in the mail since there isn't a place to pay immediately). The toll company forwarded the bill to Thrifty car rental company. Instead of Thrifty forwarding the bill to my son so he could pay the $21.60, Thrifty charged my son $90 in admin fees to pay the toll charge. Then sent my son a bill for $111.60. Thrifty refers to this as a 'COURTESY' and promises not to assess their customers no more than 6 admin fees.

If you consider to rent a car at Thrifty just please go to some other place. I’ve rented the car for 6 days. The estimated price for day was about 18$ per day. Additionally, to that they included all extra insurances of which I was not even aware of!!! Then I had to return the car earlier, so the price for day went up to 48$ per day, which ridiculously higher compared to any other rental company. Additionally, to that they made me to pay 25$ fee for early return. Also, just to let you know if you’re late for an hour, they will charge you the insurance fee for the whole next day. I would never come back to this company again.

I rented from Thrifty late on the evening of November 22 in Louisville, KY. Normally I am asked if I want the extra insurance coverages but this agent simply presented me a sheet of paper and asked if I wanted their high-end coverage, medium coverage, or basic coverage. Because I am covered for any of the extra insurance changes via my personal car insurance, I made the assumption that their basic coverage was what I needed to choose and accepted that. There was no explanation that this included a $28 per day surcharge for Loss Damage Waiver and premium roadside assistance at $8 per day, effectively doubling my daily rental fee.

While it is my fault for not reading the printout that was produced at the end, this is the first time renting that I have not specifically been given the opportunity to decline all of the insurance offerings. Usually when that happens I receive the hard sell to accept the insurance surcharges. I feel that Thrifty has designed a program at the rental counter to not inform the renter of their options and to upsell to higher rates without full disclosure. Given this experience with Thrifty, I will no longer rent from them as I feel that I was taken advantage of.

Don't use Thrifty Car Rental. They are an absolute rip off. They charged me $1000 for a rental I kept 3 days!! They told me my bill was closed at $63, which is what I authorized for, then later charged my bank account over a thousand dollars causing me to go into the negative and possibly not be able to pay my rent. They are frauds and have no morals or values as a company...

Last weekend I had a Thrifty car (Hyundai Accent) and had a flat. There was no spare and no repair kit. I had to have the car towed and replace the flat tire. The car was not available for a time and I needed transportation. I called Thrifty and they said I would be reimbursed for the tire and prorated for the time the car was unavailable to me. So I got another rental. After the hassle of getting the Thrifty rental car back to the agency I was told that the repair would not be reimbursed and that I was required to pay the full amount of the rental even though the car was unavailable. Two big issues here: 1- not safe to have a car without a way to take care of a flat, 2- lack of integrity after promising to reimburse for the flat and pro-rate for the time the car was unavailable due to car being ill-equipped for a flat. I got stuck with expense for 2 car rentals and replacing a tire. To me this seems like a bad way to treat a customer.

I made the mistake of booking a rental by phone through Thrifty for Logan. I used my debit card and received an email confirmation. When I arrived at their counter I was informed they don't accept debit cards and they refused my rental. To make matters worse, they said the fine print of the booking allows them to keep the $100 they took from my card. When I tried to get the money back by calling the number given me, they put me on hold -- indefinitely. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!

Rented a Thrifty car through a package deal using Travelocity.com. I've used Travelocity several times in the past but only for airfare. This was my first time using Thrifty. The Thrifty agent at Seattle-Tacoma airport 11/5/2016 tried to upsell me a larger vehicle which I didn't need. I refused. I also refused all add-ons. When I signed the agreement there was a charge for ~$110 which I thought was the weekly discount rate I got through Travelocity. Unfortunately, Travelocity didn't provide an invoice with separate charges so all I had was the total for airfare and car rental.

When I got home I checked my Credit Card charges and realized I had prepaid the car rental and that the Thrifty receipt was for LIS (Liability Insurance). I contacted Thrifty customer service through email and they replied that since I had signed the agreement with the charges they won't refund the $110. The car itself was fine, but based on other complaints here, it seems that adding extra charges is a common scamming practice of theirs. In the end it definitely wasn't a thrifty rental. #NeverAgainThrifty

I prepaid for a compact car a few months before my trip thinking I was getting a military discount. Once at the airport the lines for rental cars were very long, so when I got to the counter things seemed rushed. I was told no compacts were available, and I was upgraded to a mid-size car. (Not realizing I was charged $15.00 more per day.) I was also charged with full insurance even though I mentioned I'm covered. ($28.49 more per day.) We tried to leave with the 1st car and the attendant said it needed an oil change and made us take it back. We took a 2nd car and got out of the garage and onto the highway before the RPM went in the red so I took it back. (While returning this car we saw another couple returning the 1st car.)

When we got the 3rd car everything seemed fine. When I came back 2 days later to return it I saw my bill was $247.00 more than I first paid for. I asked how can I get this corrected and was told I had to dispute now or it won't be disputed. Well this is where they have you over a barrel. I had an hour before my flight but then line to fix this was too long. When I got home I called and they were very understanding and offered a full $25.00 back. That's it. I feel it's a real bait and switch and will never use THRIFTY again.

Booked on Expedia. It said I booked compact or larger. (They pick.) Price was reasonable so I went for it. Got to Thrifty Rental and they were going to give us such a small vehicle can't even fit us in. When I booked it said compact or larger but of course he would only give us the smallest one possible! He said we could upgrade which we had to even though it was still a small car. It costed $27 more a day (which he did not make clear) as our total was then looking at $312 additional for 10 days! I interpreted him as we just had to pay the difference between what we paid before and now. NOPE! He was not clear at all!!! PLUS he added an additional driver and I lamented to him how awesome this company is for giving an additional free driver for free!!! He didn't say anything. Just charged us and I even said to him how nice a company and that I would come to them for that added benefit! NOPE!!!

Later I called Thrifty and they said "No we charge and if you booked you are the only allowed driver!" I'm so ashamed at this company. I don't think they deserve any business whatsoever! I called and asked to talk to someone higher up and they said there is no one! So our trip ended up being way above budget! The guy also asked if we have AAA and we said "No." He said he would add it to bring down price which he didn't!!! Lie!

I reserved and prepaid an SUV to be picked up late at night on November 6, 2016, at the New Orleans airport. I had to walk about a half mile to get to the rental car building. I presented my reservation, my driver's license and my debit card with Visa logo, and indicated that the vehicle had already been paid for. I understood there would be an additional hold on my bank card and that a credit check would be performed. I explained that I do not use credit cards so no doubt my score would be very low. My PREPAID vehicle was declined on the basis of the credit check. I was stranded in the middle of the night with no rental car. Luckily, I walked two counters down and rented a car from Enterprise in about 10 minutes. After dealing with the medical situation that I was in town for, I called, as I had been instructed to do by the Thrifty counter agent, to acquire a refund of my prepaid amount, which was 132 and change dollars.

After being run around and around and around by these clowns, I finally got the right person. I was told there was NO refund. Period. I prepaid. I did not rent the car because they would not allow me to, and I would get no refund. I asked for a supervisor. In a bored and increasingly rude voice I was informed that a supervisor would tell me the same thing and there was no supervisor available and no, I could not have a supervisor call me back nor could I hold until one was available. I was finally told I could be sent an email to beg them to refund the charge and while it probably would not be refunded I was welcome to knock myself out trying. The words "beg" and "knock myself out" were THEIR words, not mine.

I am returning from my trip, today, November 10. I will call my bank and report a fraudulent charge because that is surely what this is, pure and simple. I will also look into filing a small claims action because it is wrong to take people's money, then NOT provide the product or service and keep the money. How ABSURD! Maybe I will even try to get on one of those judge shows--I would LOVE to warn everyone in this country about this TOTAL SCAM!!

On October 28, 2016, around 9:00 a.m. Thrifty confirmation #**. Upon returning my rental car at the Orlando Airport, I forgot to take the key fob out of my pocket! When I got inside the airport, I realized that I forgot to leave the key. So, I went back out to the Thrifty office in the parking garage and gave my key fob to an employee, who took my name and car type. Then they charged me $250.00 for a lost key fob. I contacted Customer Service and explained what happened, and got no help. They said they would look into it! Now, I have not heard back from them and my credit card was charged an additional $250.00. I contacted my credit card company and will dispute this payment. I am thinking about contacting my attorney. Please advise. Thank you.

I rented a mid-size SUV from Boston Logan Airport for a week and my name was the only one listed as the driver. During the course of the week, I developed pneumonia. It would have been a hardship to return the car all the way to the airport then take public transportation back to my home 45 minutes away. I called Thrifty to ask if I could have a friend return the car instead. What ensued in the next two hours over the telephone was beyond what I could have imagined from a Customer Service Center.

I was informed by the first agent I spoke with that this since I did not have an additional driver listed, I had to personally return the car. I explained how sick I was (which of course was already obvious from my voice) but the agent politely explained that having someone else return the vehicle was not possible because I never paid for an additional driver. I said that I would pay the additional driver cost for the entire week now if it saved me from driving the vehicle to the airport. He put me on hold several times while he was checking with a supervisor. He comes back on the line and says "that's not possible" and states Thrifty's policies over and over. No leniency. NONE! I asked to speak to a supervisor.

After waiting on hold for at least 20 minutes, a friendly supervisor comes on the line and just reiterates what the previous agent said. When I could not accept his lack of flexibility in the extremely rigid policy, he said he would transfer me to another department. I explained my predicament AGAIN to the rep with my strained voice and she said shell contact a Thrifty supervisor @ Boston Logan Airport. He gave me the same rhetoric of Thrifty's policies but offered two options: 1) have the car towed at my expense to the airport or 2) extend the rental and return it when I felt better.

In the end, Thrifty forced a physically ill person to drive a rental car 45 minutes to the airport and then take public transportation back home just so Thrifty's rules could be followed precisely!!! Then, NO ONE ASKED FOR IDENTIFICATION OR PAPERWORK!!! ANYBODY COULD HAVE DROPPED OFF THE VEHICLE!!! I was shocked at the lack of compassion for my illness and stringency to rules over human health! Absolutely flabbergasted!!! Drive away from renting from Thrifty and tell everyone you know to do the same!!!

I went online on October 12, 2016 to book a car with Thrifty. I put in the dates from October 15, 2016 2:30 pm to October 20, 2016 2:30 pm. When I booked the car it show two fees. One was a prepay to save the rental cost at the said amount. My deposit was $141.95 for a weekly rental rate. My charges for the week would be approx. $246.75 which included taxes and charges of $104.80. When I printed my reservation it stated $243.45 per week, $105.20 mandatory charges bringing the total to $248.65. 2nd time a different amount appeared. Only a few dollars different but still ok. Upon arrival at the airport I had to walk from the terminal to the rental building with a knee brace on after I had been wheelchair escorted from gate to gate my entire flight due to medical problems which caused me more pain.

Upon arriving at the counter was asked if I was Thrifty or Dollar rental because they were side by side. The person asked me if I had my rental confirmation voucher which I presented to her and she asked for ID. I am on the phone dealing with a death which is why I was there, having a two hour drive ahead of me and in a lot of pain needing to take medication. She asked me if I wanted insurance and I replied "what is your standard", which is not saying yes and next thing I knew she was having me sign and handed me my paperwork with a cost of $404.49. I quickly glanced thing the additional amount was a deposit. I was renting a compact car which on one paperwork said Nissan Versa and another Chevrolet Spark (or similar).

Needless to say I did not have much of a choice when I went to get the car because only two cars were left in economy both being a Sonic 5D. I chose the cleanest of the two and proceeded to leave to face over a two hour drive. Upon return the attendant finally came to the car and gave me a printout. I then proceeded to leave the building for the terminal and again two golf carts were sitting empty and no driver in sight and I was left once again to walk to the terminal with my injury. I was taken to my gate in a wheelchair since I am not suppose to walk long distances. Finally after arriving home and getting my mind settled and being in so much pain I am in bed now, having to use a walker. I am sure a lot of it was attributed from having to walk from one building to another.

When I started going thru my rental paperwork is when I started seeing all of the differences. My return time had been changed from 2:30 to 2:20, insurance for $199.43 and premium road service for $63.92 and additional rental time for $10.16. My rental had gone from roughly $325.65 which included rental insurance of $77.00 for the week which Thrifty had quoted me on the phone if I wanted to get it to $469.45 and no where was my $141.95 included. I have been given the run around for a week now. Everything from phony names (wrote down the name stated at beginning of call and when asked the name later in the conversation was given something different).

Being told they as a favor could not refund the insurance charges which I had not said I wanted but as a favor could refund partial in 24-48 hours, not, to you have to talk to a different area about the deposit which also told me they would get back to me in 24-48 hours and if I did not hear anything to call them back. I was given two different numbers which when called turned out to be in Ireland so now I have a long distance charge for that. Today I am being told no complaint filed and no there is a 7-10 day delay in everything and in the meantime my credit card show charges of $611.40.

I used Thrifty in the past several times and did not have a problem but will not use them again nor recommend them to anyone. After reading all of the complaints from customers all complaining of the same issues I think they need to be investigated and a class action lawsuit filed against them. Look at all of the money customers have been overcharged. I am a totally dissatisfied customer and pray someone will do something about all the complaints. I am not giving ratings on any of the areas because one star is too much. Thank you.

On oct 26, 2016 I flew into dfw airport with my son and 1 yr. old grandchild. Stephanie was the one who helped us. She was the most kind and helpful person. I am truly thankful that she was there for me. She went above her duty to make sure me and my kids were taken care of. She deserves 5 stars.

The worst rental car company we have ever used. We filled the tank on our 2017 Kia Sedona the night prior to leaving (have gas receipts to verify) but Thrifty/Dollar wants to charge us $49.99 for using 5 gallons of gas to simply travel the 24.1 mile drive to the Orlando airport at $9.99 per gallon. One gallon maybe but 5 in a vehicle that gets 25 highway mpg. Also never once mentioned a "convenience fee" of $54 for picking it up at the airport... Seriously. Never a mention at drop off, during a quote. Their check in attendant looked the car over and told us to our face there would be no further charges. Complete scam. Steer clear and don't believe a thing they say. If the rates are cheaper, they make up for it in unscrupulous ways. Never again will we rent from Thrifty/Dollar.

I had prepaid voucher from Rentalcars.com UK. So I told the Thrifty staff member in Orlando airport specifically that I DID NOT want any extras. When signing agreement, I trusted Thrifty that what I was signing was free of extras. Returning to UK I discover they had charged me over £100 for premium roadside insurance. I have been renting cars in the States since the 1980's and this is the first time I have been deliberately ripped off. Never again will I use Thrifty and I believe they should be accountable by law for fraud.

I was also a victim of extra charges. I rented a car with points through my credit card. When I booked it I refused insurance and when we picked it up my husband refused the insurance. They asked my husband to sign the paperwork and gave him the keys. He assumed he was just signing what he had already purchased. We later got charged $300 ($28 a day for 11 days) for insurance. Apparently the paper he signed included extra insurance. When we called to inquire we were told we should have read the contract. We NEVER purchase insurance for rental car. We also feel ripped off, give those unacceptable sales tactics. I won't ever rent from Thrifty again.

Compare Rental Cars