Thrifty Car Rental

• 1%
  • 2%
  • 95%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
    Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 15, 2024

The worst company I have ever done business with and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH AGAIN! The biggest scam. I turned in a car Tuesday, it's the following Monday they still say they do not have it closed out. Charging me every day, hours on hours of calls, no one in the US. Trying to get ahold of someone at local store, impossible. Be prepared for 30 minutes "Let's go baby baby" before you can even get a human to answer customer service line. I have rented with every other company and have nothing but good things to say about them (Avis, Budget and Enterprise). I will not associate with anyone connected to Thrify/Hertz ever again.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed July 9, 2024

If I could rate a zero I would. Worst customer service by Gabe. Older man who definitely had control issues. He was argumentative and unhelpful from the start of the conversation. His screen showed 3 reservations - mine showed one. When I showed him my one showing - he was immediately combative. He said it took a long time to open reservations so which one did I want to look at. What? From there it went into harassing me if I had “good enough” insurance and when I said I had midsize car he insisted it was a compact. I finally snapped and asked him why he was arguing? I simply wanted my reservation.

He said, “I am not going to help you”. Verbatim. Then told his younger female desk agent not to help me either. I asked for a manager. The girl went to the back room (after she couldn’t tell whether Gabe was going to be mad at her) and didn’t return. Went to Alamo. Far better service. They matched the price. Come on Thrifty. I know help is hard to find but that was just painful to deal with after a 6-hour flight. Get better employees. Train your employees that they are customer care - they aren’t the boss of the rental world.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPrice

Reviewed July 8, 2024

Disaster. I signed a rental agreement with Thrifty in Orlando, FL for $354.61 PER WEEK, for a total rental of $432.40. When I turned it in--on time, at the right airport, with a full gas tank--they converted it to a DAILY RATE of $268.89 for a total cost of $1,216.12! An $800 overcharge! There is no customer service line, it is all online. You will never talk with a human being. I submitted my complaint and they emailed saying, too bad. I appealed to my credit card company and they said they have a right because the agreement was an ESTIMATE! I have rented cars for 40 years and I have NEVER had an experience like this. I have resubmitted with the credit card company for fraud because the credit card company actually has a phone number and will talk with me. Stay away from Thrifty!

Reviewed July 8, 2024

DO NOT rent from Thrifty. They are a scam company with hidden fees that are unknown until day of purchase. My rental in Spain went from $231 to $776. I had no choice but to pay since the trains have already departed and no way of reaching my destination in time. Additionally there is no way to contact customer support outside the US, even Expedia had difficulty contacting them to confirm a drop off location (which has a hidden fee of 90 euro, not stated in the expedia rules and regulations). I WILL NEVER rent from thrifty again!!!! and please do yourself a favor and save yourself from the frustration of renting from them. Use a reputable rental company other than thrifty or dollar. I wish it was possible to give 0 stars save everyone from enduring the hassle and difficulty dealing with this company. It may seem like a good deal, but sometimes in this case, there's no such thing as a good deal. They will rip you off. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 7, 2024

This place is a scam. I rented in Orlando and was supposed to pay $300. I told the guy that I did NOT want extra ins but he charged me anyway and also charged me fuel charges that I did not want. No customer service to talk to. Just fill out a form. They don’t let you see the receipt until after you put your card into the machine. I’ll never make THAT mistake again. I was totally ripped off by this company and they don’t want to even speak to me to make it better. Avoid at all costs. I wish I had read all the one star reviews before I rented. Don’t be fooled by the “Thrifty” price…. They will scam you out of your money.

Brad

Same! I rented at 2 AM on June 30th and they just did the same to me. Same airport. MCO.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 7, 2024

I booked a rental car through Thrifty Fort Myers. Customer service is non existent. Wish I read reviews prior to booking. Booked a Chevy Suburban for the week. Returned to the vehicle to the terminal with a full tank of gas and in the same condition it was received. Flew home. Checked my credit card statement and saw a 450 dollar charge for “parts/keys”. No people to talk to. Just have to fill out complaint form that took days to get a response. After I got a response they charged me for lost keys which was left in the vehicle so now I have reported them to the Better Business Bureau hoping to get to the bottom of this. I highly discourage anyone from using this shady rental company.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 6, 2024

We rented our car through Wisecars, who were fantastic to work with. Thrifty, however, was very disappointing. I was never once able to get a person on the phone, and I tried many times. When we got to the Thrifty counter the agent kept telling us that we should upgrade to a new Subaru for $75 a day (a total of $175) or we would be driving a Malibu. We had reserved and paid for a Buick Encore or similar. A Malibu does not fit into that category. Since we definitely did not want to drive a Malibu we went with the Subaru for $175. We would not have had to drive a Malibu and were totally misled by the agent and Thrifty. They said they could not do anything about it. I don't like the feeling that I've been misled, but that is what happened. I would never use Thrifty or their mother company Hertz again.

Reviewed July 1, 2024

I **PRE-PAID** for a rental. I was REFUSED the rental due to not having a card from a "brick and mortar" bank. I use Chime. I offered to have someone at home give them their card info, I had cash, I had my cards which had money on them, and again THE RENTAL WAS PAID FOR BY ME ALREADY IN FULL. BEWARE. They DO NOT care about the customer. They will GLADLY take your money, but then refuse to give the car. Still waiting to hear if I even get a refund.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupContract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedOnline & App

Reviewed June 30, 2024

Updated on 07/09/2024: Thrifty wrote back a week later: "We are very sorry if you were charged for an amount that was not anticipated. In regard to your inquiry, once the rental agreement is accepted and signed, the customer is fully aware of the amount that they have to pay." The irony: we're aware of the amount we accepted & signed to pay - what we were charged is not that number! We asked for a receipt but were not told about this "updated" rental receipt until after the car was turned in and we were flying home.

Original Review: We reserved our car weeks in advance at $33.49/day. My husband paid $66.98 at the time of reservation. 30 minutes before our assigned pick-up time Thrifty Car Rental sent me text messages and an email telling me that it was time to choose a vehicle. I followed the given instructions but when I showed up to pick up the car, they said it wasn't ready. The app is not functional. So we stood in line and waited to get a car. Our reserved hybrid was supposedly recalled, so we were told to pick any car on the lot in category 3. Our signed rental agreement matched $33.49 per day. We called in 3 times to inquire about if we were late returning the car. We were told it cost $16/day. Our contract stated there was a possible charge of $33.49 per extra day. Our car was 7 hours late.

I was expecting a charge of $33.49. Instead they sent an "updated rental agreement" charging us $82.09/day for a total bill of $274.18 - $179.55 more than what it should have been! We never agreed to those terms. When you try to call in about a past rental, there is no option to talk to a live person. (That only worked before and during a rental.) I submitted my inquiry online, but based on everyone else experiences, I am not expecting favorable results. BEWARE!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupContract & Terms

Reviewed June 28, 2024

Careful when renting from this place and be prepared to be disappointed! When I made and PAID for this reservation, weeks in advance, the agreement was for me to pick up a car on a Thursday. On the day of the rental and about thirty minutes before the pick-up time, Thrifty Car Rental sent me text messages and an email telling me that it was time to choose a vehicle. I followed the given instructions but when I showed up to pick up the car, there was NO CAR RESERVED for me. In addition to this, there was no one from Thrifty to assist me to explain what happened. I was told by someone in the car rental garage that there were no cars available for that evening and suggested for me to return the following morning.

As you can imagine, this was not only and inconvenience but it also disrupted my travel plans. It was late at night but I was able to find a ride back home. I also had to modify and cancel other travel arrangement plans. I returned the following morning to the airport and I was fortunate to get a car from Thrifty Car Rental. By the way, the rental was for three days. After returning the car, I received an email to complete a survey based on my rental experience. It was through this survey that I requested for me someone from Thrifty Car Rental to contact me.

Christine from HERTZ/Thrifty Car Rental called me. Because of the inconvenience this experience had caused, she asked me if I wanted a certificate for a future reservation or a credit of $44.00 to go back to my credit card. I told her that I would prefer a credit to go back to my credit card. Sadly, HERTZ/Thrifty Car Rental never issued with this credit. I called them many times to resolve this issue but was unsuccessful. I called my credit card bank to confirm the credit and was told that it never posted.

I also contacted the website where I rented the car and let them know what had happened. They said that after trying to pursue every option in advocacy for my car rental problem, HERTZ/Thrifty would not approve my request for the reason that “the reservation made was confirmed and used”. Yes, I did rent a car, but after the fact that Thrifty did not commit to the “terms and conditions“ at the time the reservation was made and paid for. They also did not follow through and honor the credit they said it was being issued for the inconvenience. Never recommending or using HERTZ/Thrifty again.

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, The Car Coach®, is a nationally recognized automotive expert, sector analyst, journalist, author, keynote speaker and television host. A trusted car expert, Lauren provides an insider’s perspective on a wide range of automotive topics and aspects, energy, industry, consumer news and safety issues. Her analysis is honest and straightforward. Lauren is the CEO of Automotive Aspects and the Editor-in-Chief of Car Coach Reports, a global automotive news outlet. She is an automotive contributor to national and local television news shows including Fox News, Fox Business, CNN International, The Weather Channel, Inside Edition, Local Now News, NewsMax, The Daily Flash show and more.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information