Thrifty Car Rental
1.13/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Thrifty Car Rental

896 Thrifty Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I rented the car through Booking.com and was given a price quote. When I went to pick up the car there were over $100 worth of data charges that the clerk had said were completely explained on the website. When I told him that those charges were not on the website he basically called me a liar. I was out of time so I had to go ahead with the car rental and it end up costing me about $125 more than what I was planning on.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We were driving from Dubuque, Iowa on our way to Chicago O’Hare Airport when the engine started to have problems. We were approximately 109 miles away from Chicago. I called Thrifty’s customer service number and explained that an engine light was on and the car was overheating. It was suggested that I pull over and wait until the engine cools which we readily complied. I opened the hood of the car to check if there was any antifreeze which there wasn’t. Thrifty’s customer service stated that I should find a place that sold antifreeze and they would reimburse me. We were in a rural area near Stockton, IL where there are no gas stations or stores nearby which made purchasing antifreeze impossible. We drove a little further in pursuit of antifreeze when the engine stopped running completely. We pulled off on an exit and contacted Thrifty’s customer service to alert them that the car the engine had failed and we were stranded.

Our biggest concern was that we were going to miss our flight back to New York. When I inquired to Thrifty’s customer service people “what would happen if we missed our flight?” The response was beguiling and disappointing. I asked Thrifty’s customer service numerous times who would be responsible for paying the $200.00 per person ($400) fee for changing our flight if we missed our scheduled departure and each time Thrifty’s customer service claimed they were NOT responsible for this and we would have to go to the Thrifty at the Chicago O’Hare Airport for any resolution. Therefore, it was clear that Thrifty Car Rental was unwilling to assist us despite being rented a faulty vehicle that broke down in the middle of nowhere.

Thrifty customer service claimed they were going to send a tow truck to pick up the car and find an alternative for us to get to Chicago O’Hare Airport. Thrifty customer service decided to contact a Lyft car service for the ride to Chicago O’Hare Airport. We received a text message from Lyft that a car was ordered and patiently waited. However, it occurred to me that Lyft would not be able fulfill the order because of the logistics. I once again contacted Thrifty’s customer service to explain the dilemma. Thrifty customer service explained that I would just have to wait but, they would call Lyft and a local taxi service to procure a driver that would be willing to take myself and my son to Chicago O’Hare Airport or approximately 109 miles from our location.

I suggested that there was an Enterprise Rental Car company about 12 miles away and we could rent a car from them and Thrifty Car Rental could reimburse me however, Thrifty customer service nixed that idea and claimed that I would be personally responsible to the payment of a rental car from Enterprise despite the fact it was Thrifty’s car that broke down.

At this point, we were concerned that Thrifty would jeopardize us from missing our flight and I contacted Thrifty customer service yet again to find out the status of the Lyft or a taxi driver and they stated that they were unable to procure a ride for us from Lyft or a taxi to Chicago O’Hare Airport and claimed that the tow truck driver from Alber Towing & Recovery (tow ticket #134305) would be willing to drive us to the airport. Considering that Thrifty was unwilling to allow us to rent another car or unable to provide a ride, we had no other choice but to ride all the way to Chicago O’Hare Airport in a tow truck with no air conditioning or seatbelts. Frankly, I could care less if the truck didn’t have air conditioning but, not having a seatbelt for my 17 year old son is another matter. Not only is against the law, not to wear a seatbelt in the state of Illinois, it’s dangerous.

After loading into the tow truck we drive approximately an hour and twenty minutes to Chicago O’Hare Airport and thankfully arrive safely and made it on time for our flight. However, if we did not decide to take the tow truck option and put ourselves in danger by doing so, we would most likely have waited in perpetuity, missed our flight, forced to pay additional fees for changing our flight and forced to pay for the rental of another automobile and possible a hotel. All of which, Thrifty Rental Car was unwilling to assist or compensate in any way. After arriving home safely, I contacted Thrifty Rental Car because they authorized another charge on my credit card because they claimed the car was not turned in.

In sum, Thrifty’s customer service was lackluster and hapless at best. They were unwilling to answer simple questions such as “who would be responsible for the additional fees for changing our flight times due to their automobile breaking down?” We had no choice but to ride 109 miles in a tow truck as Thrifty Car Rental was unable to provide a viable alternative solution such as rent another car from Enterprise Rental Car. (Only because they would not pay.) However, Thrifty Car Rental was willing to place myself and my son in danger by riding in a tow truck without a seatbelt. (We alerted Thrifty of the aforementioned.) In the end, Thrifty Rental Car took no responsibility and was little to no help. I would be remiss to say that their customer service was one of the worst rental car experiences ever. In the future I will do my best to avoid Thrifty Rental Car and their parent company Hertz.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Stay away from Thrifty Car Rental at all cost. Rented car from Thrifty at Cleveland airport - no inspection of car which was of very poor quality - exterior and interior damage. When I returned, I received two notices of tolls owed totally $2.00 with an additional $30 administrative fee. I wrote them a letter - received zero response. So, they charged it to my credit card without my approval. No explanation of where the tolls occurred. Very unprofessional and dishonest company, as well as unethical. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Very poor experience with this company - never again.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We will NEVER rent from Thrifty again. When we picked up the car, they didn't do a walk around. All we did when we left the lot was drive to the hotel. As soon as we got to the hotel I noticed a dent in the front fender. We took pictures to show it was there. They are now trying to make us pay for a pre-existing dent that was there when we got the car. Unbelievable.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I booked my rental through HOTWIRE which I only paid $110.60 for 4 days, I went to pick up my car. I was told that I had to pay $145.00 because of taxes and fees even though I had already paid taxes and fees through Hotwire. Long story short they told me if I wanted to add their expensive $29.00 dollar per day insurance, I say NO!!! I will use my State Farm insurance and plus I already purchase a $9 dollar per day coverage. They said, "Ok, no problem, go ahead and slide your credit card and sign."

I never got any form or contract to review before signing, next thing I know when I checked my bank statement I was charge $137.00 for their stupid insurance and when I call customer service they said I signed a contract and there is nothing they can do but they can email me a copy. I will never recommend Thrifty to anyone, you cannot trust a company that will add services to your booking even though you tell them no. You can tell them everything you want and they will make you believe that's what you are agreeing to when you slide your card and sign. Don't waste your time or money with this THRIFTY FRAUDULENT COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: May 24, 2018

This company isn't Thrifty. Use another company! This company isn't Thrifty, it's **. Everything mentioned below is from my experience dealing with them... We rented a car on their website. They asked to enter the age of the driver which was 23. They quoted $253 dollars for a 2-week rental. They had a pop up to inform you about SunPass but neglected to say that because the driver was 23 they were required to pay $27 a day extra for insurance which we did not agree to as that was not what they quoted.

So we canceled the rental, then they charged us $55 for a cancelation fee. This is a company I would never do business with and recommend no one else does either! I went online again and took screenshots to show what they do, the rate amount is different, but you would get screwed the same way. When I called It took me 1 1/2 hours to get to the right person who charged me $55 for canceling... I was kept on hold for a supervisor for over 30 minutes as well.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We had rented a car with Thrifty in Frankfurt via Expedia. We declined insurance at the time of booking as we have our own car rental insurance policy that covers us for up to $1 million world-wide. When we got to the rental desk at Frankfurt airport, the agent insisted that we have to purchase their insurance at an additional 15 Euros a day, adding an additional CAD$320 to our quoted price of $455 for the 14-day rental. They refused to accept our insurance policy and said we had to be a Mastercard or Visa Platinum member in order to be able to decline insurance, even though our insurance coverage is way better than that of the credit cards. They even acknowledged that they are the only company that does not accept other insurance policies.

We had a similar experience with Dollar (which I believe is tied to Thrifty) in Las Vegas a few years ago. We decided to not go ahead with the rental in Frankfurt and went to Budget instead. The whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth, in my opinion, Thrifty/Dollar are not transparent with their pricing and feel that their entire goal is to squeeze as much money out of their customers as they can. Needless to say, I will never rent through these companies again and will not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Where do I start? I paid 118.00 UPFRONT for car and taxes. Then when I picked up the rental I agreed to the prepay fuel charge (fine no issue there) but I did not agree to any extra rental insurance as we were going to barely be driving it. The guy behind the counter rushed us through and confirmed NO RENTAL insurance. GUESS WHAT!?!! YEP we were charged an extra $90 for rental insurance we did not agree to. Yes we signed the little screen in front of the counter to confirm NO RENTAL insurance but because it was only a signature line, we did not know we were signing for insurance.

The agent put it on without our knowledge and when I called the customer service they will not do anything about it. BEWARE and go elsewhere. I have never had issues with any other rental company. For what I paid for a midsize, I paid less for a Mustang convertible elsewhere. HORRIBLE customer service! OVERCHARGED! It also took me three calls to just get an email of my bill. They never even gave me one when I returned the car as they said they would. It was at an airport in Houston.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I returned my rental to FLL airport. The fuel gauge says full. They tell me the tank is not full and charge me $15.48 for what they later declared to be 7/8ths of a gallon. I told her it was unfair but I wasn’t upset with her personally, to which she declared “I don’t care. I do “this” every day, day in, day out.” That comment drove me to the manager in the booth. When I explained what occurred, one employee (obviously a new one) said “your tank is full.” However, when he walked back to “check”, the woman who checked me in told him to tell me it’s not full. In fact, he came back and said “she told me to tell you that your tank is not full.” Huh? He disavowed his own employer.

The supervisor knew the tank was full (I took a photo of the gauge and they were none too pleased). He raised his eyebrows when he saw my photo (admission). He then snidely told me after I asked for a waiver, “we give you the tank full, you return it full” (deflection). And finally, when he thought I had walked away, he laughed at me (derision). I walked back to let him know I heard and saw him laughing at me, and he lied and said he was smiling (denial).

To all of you out there, but especially to my fellow women, don’t give these people a penny of your hard-earned money. They need to learn that women hate being mocked and laughed at. Frankly, the cost of the charge is minuscule in the scheme of things, but I wasn’t letting it go and I told them, "I am posting my experience with you online and on social media." So, I took the charge just so I could write a bad review telling you to stay away from these people. This is post #2, and I am just warming up. Bye Thrifty. Bye.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Do not rent a car from Thrifty Car Rental. I was billed for gas even after I filled the tank before return, they tell you that your bill will be adjusted if you do so but then they will not unless you dispute the gas charge that they charge you. They also sell you toll vouchers for places that will not even have tolls and then charge you for nothing that you used! They also do not honor prices that you are quoted!!! They are rip off and a disgusting business.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Rent Philadelphia PA Airport - Worst nightmare starting at counter to getting a invoice for toll tag usage after not being informed of policy!! We won't be renting from them again... Once was too much.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Thrifty advertised fraudulent prices and will not honor them, nor take any action. I reserved a Thrifty car for $87 and printed out my reservation. When we arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica, the car cost us $545.64 ($120 of that was for a wifi stick that did not work so well to get GPS navigation)! They refused to honor our reservation price and also made us pay an overpriced cost for car insurance even though we were already covered by our credit card as well as our insurance company back home. We were completely stuck with the car. I voiced my complaints on Thrifty's customer service/complaint email when we returned to the US, but they told me they had no jurisdiction over Thrifty in Costa Rica - even though they publish the prices on their website. There is no recourse and no accountability with this company!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Rented the car to go visit mother and then my grandsons and new great grandson. Car was leaking fluid that I did not want to drive for fear of breakdown. They replaced the car but the amount of time did not allow me to go visit my grandsons for the day allotted them. Refused to compensate me for the day lost. Bad business.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I booked the car online and questioned why it was so inexpensive and was told simply that was the price. I also called Thrifty at the airport in Cancun and was given the same answer. I was told we could pick up the car at the airport, however this was the first red flag. We were shuttled to a Thrifty pickup. The price of the daily rental had changed radically from $16.99 per day to 29.99 per day and this did not include insurance. I did not need most of the insurance as I am covered by my credit card. I was told this did not apply and the insurance brought the cost of the car to $50 plus per day. I was asked for a $3,000 deposit to be put on my credit card, I refused and the deposit was reduced to $300. This took one and a half hours to negotiate. Awful experience, I would never rent from them again, complete bait and switch.

Original review: April 5, 2018

We hired a car from Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental to drive from Miami to Orlando but there was a misunderstanding regarding the fuel arrangements. When we dropped the car off at Orlando airport this was quickly and professionally resolved by the lovely Stephanie **. Companies rarely appreciate that staff who sort out problems with customers are like gold dust. I do hope this is not the case with Dollar/Thrifty. Thank you.

Original review: April 5, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM THRIFTY!!! I went to Atlanta this past weekend and had already purchased a rental car through Holiday Cars which took me to Thrifty Car Rental for my vehicle. I had to pay full price up front through Holiday Cars. Go to the desk at the Thrifty cars to pick up my car. Was told to I needed to have a card on file for Thrifty for any possible incidentals that may occur. Then I was asked as a government employee discount I was eligible for an upgrade to a high rated car at no charge and at a lower fee. So now 5 days later after having a hold on my card, this morning I check to see if the hold is off and lo and behold Thrifty has charged me another full price car rental for my upgraded car plus my original price (through Holiday Cars). After talking with customer service and them telling me I signed a contract for the car that they can charge me the price for the upgraded car as well and they did!!!

After going through the contract with billing. I was told I signed up for roadside service along with loss and damage. Which I denied all extra charges cause my insurance will cover any damage but the attendant charged me anyways extra add-ons. Told the counter attendant I needed no extra that the "free complimentary" upgrade was good enough. So get the vehicle and heading out of the rental car center and realize the car has 21 miles til empty on fuel. Call back to Thrifty customer care, was told they were sorry and I could take the car back the same level but may be charged the $9.99 a gal for fuel. My account was suppose to be noted for low fuel and never was. Luckily I was not charged for fuel. But the car was on empty which is pathetic!!!

So in the end I paid full price ($221 for 2 days) from Holiday Cars, and Thrifty charged me $25 less than original full price they were going to charge (original $168, now $143). Total for a 2 day car rental $364. Knowing I had already rented the car Thrifty went ahead and charged me anyways. Avoid Thrifty!!! And to top it off. My credit union has called now saying Atlanta is hot spot for cars theft and fraud. Well Thrifty was the only place I used my debit card, everywhere else was on credit card. And now have suspicious activity on my debit card trying to be used in foreign countries and other places in the US I was not at. Watch your cards and do not use Thrifty!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

After booking the car in August 2017 for a pick up date of April 1, 2018 we had went to the South Beach location only to find out it had moved. After finally locating the new location, the location was closed and we were unable to obtain our car. We contacted Thrifty on a 30 minute international call, where they also were unaware that the South Beach location was not open and we were told that we could get a car from the airport. This was a 30-40 $ taxi fare in order to pick up a car when I asked if they were going to assist with this cost the answer was no. After discussing our options with Thrifty‘s I agreed to pick up a car on the following day at the Miami location.

Thrifty‘s customer service gave me three options for the car rental of cars available at that location and said that the Jeep Grand Cherokee we wanted would be there. The next morning we walked to the South Beach location to pick up your vehicle and waited 20 minutes until a customer service representative was available. Once we sat down to pick up the car which is supposed to be at this location, the customer service lady informed us that our car is going to be Kia. After explaining that we talk to corporate customer service and the Grand Cherokee was supposed to be at this location, she stated that they have not had a Grand Cherokee in four years.

Trying to explain that we’ve talked to corporate office regarding this vehicle she kept stating that it was a equal vehicle and that is all we could rent. We continued to discuss this when she got mad at us and told my wife to shut up or she wouldn’t rent us a car. My wife in shock that this customer service lady told her to shut up in front of a whole office full of potential customers did stop talking. We continued with the rental process and were told to go outside for 10 minutes while they got the car ready for us. After 10 minutes we went back in to get the car for the lady informed as she no longer had any cars available for us and to leave. Again trying to contact Thrifty corporate office after this, it became a series of holds and transfers with no resolution. At this point I just hung up and decided to rent from different rental car company.

Original review: April 3, 2018

The website said the car we rented can fit 2 large luggage and 2 small luggage in the boot. That was very misleading. We could only fit 1 large and 1 small luggage. We had to queue about 30-40 minutes to get the car keys at the desk at Sydney Kingsford Airport and when it was finally our turn, the desk staff was quite rude. The cars' A/C wasn't working well. Unfortunately the weather was quite hot while we were there. So we were sweating away in the car. We called them on 28 April 2018 and the staff said they will send an email to somewhere and call us back. We didn't get any call back so we called them again the next day and again they said they will send another email.

I don't understand how an email in an inbox can help us in that situation. So we asked if it was possible to get a replacement car and they said we will have to check directly with the airport where we got the car and gave us the number for that. We tried calling that number with no response. So basically, they pretty much ignored the fact that their cars' A/C was faulty and did nothing to try and replace the car we had. We had a lousy experience with Thrifty and we will never hire from them again. They may be the cheapest but they will do absolutely nothing if you have any issues with your hired car.

Original review: April 1, 2018

When I returned my rental vehicle at Orlando MCO Airport on Friday, March 30th, 2018 I was extremely disgusted with the customer service. After returning the SUV rental to Terminal B (approx 5 PM), I walked to the departure terminal. Before I got to the terminal I realized I had left my Computer bag in the car. I quickly returned to the rental kiosk, which was no more than 15 minutes after I returned the vehicle. I explained to the lady assistant the situation. I told her I had left my Computer Bag in the vehicle and I was in desperate need to get it back because besides my computer, it contained a few hundred dollars cash, my wife's medication which she has to take twice a day for a serious medical problem and our passports. I explained without the passports we could not get on our flight back to Canada.

She wrote down a website and said, "When you get to a computer go online and fill in the info and if the bag shows up it will be returned." The kiosk attendant did not speak good English but I tried to explain that I needed my passports to get on the flight. She absolutely had no desire to help. If she worked for me I would have her for about 2 minutes or for the length of time it took me to write out her termination slip. Fortunately a young gentleman working with Thrifty came in the Kiosk and I explained my situation to him. I believe he was already finished his shift. He said, "I will try and find it for you." He was gone approx 15 minutes and he came back with my bag. His first name was Josh. I did not get his last name. But I would like to give him a special thanks. He certainly would be the type of person you would want working for you.

In addition to this my son came in for 8 days and I put him on as a second driver. I had the car rented for 25 days. When we went back after 8 days to take the second driver off they said, "No you have to pay the second driver rate until the car is returned." We finally worked out an agreement after talking to the supervisor. When I did return the car at the end of the rental period I wanted to pay the remainder of what I owed and they said, "No you must wait and we will send it by email." I am just waiting to see if they try and scam me for more than I owe.

Original review: March 28, 2018

They are thieves. On purpose, wouldn't give a receipt at the time of return. "Oh no worries, we will mail you... All is good". They charged double the amount on my credit card, in violation of contract given at the time of rental. Asked for the details, charged very high daily rate and hourly although vehicle was returned in time. And I keep fighting their customer service. They admitted the mistake, but won't post the refund, not send anything in writing (email nor text) of this resolve. Owing to system limitations the refund may take 2-3 days, then I keep inquiring, will take 5 business days. Finally I got the refund, but clear attempt of theft and when refunding their error... All sort of system and bureaucratic problems. 5 phone calls 2 hours of wasted time with no trust and high blood pressure. Don't rent from them if you have any self respect.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Wilmington NC airport, upon renting they stated it is easier to secure rental with a cc and then pay at end of rental with my preferred payment (debit). 3 days after returning the car both cards were charged, when calling no history of a rental, SURPRISE, I have been passed from person to person and no one can see the double charge even though I have confirmation numbers for both. This is the first, and last time using this company, I only used it because they were closer to where I was. Now I get to fight to receive my 2nd chargeback. If you are going to use these people, secure with the same card you plan on paying with and too damn bad if it is more work for them. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: March 21, 2018

My family and I recently went on a vacation to Oahu, Hawaii. Prior to our vacation I had booked online with Thrifty Car Rentals, Full-Size Sport Utility Vehicle (unlimited mileage) - pick up February 20, 2018 12:00 pm and drop off March 1, 2018 12:00 pm at the Honolulu International Airport. This reservation also included 1 child seat, 1 booster seat and 1 GPS system. The reservation confirmation statement showed it would be $589.77 USD upon pick up (including all taxes and fees). Upon pick up Thrifty advised us that our total amount due was now $2841 USD. This is not the amount that was provided to us on the reservation and frankly I am not sure who would be willing to pay this OUTSTANDING amount they were asking for.

I first contacted the booking number on our reservation email but no one was able to provide me with an explanation as to why these amounts were so different. We next decided to speak with the manager at Thrifty in the Honolulu airport. He agreed that this amount was rather high but he too could not provide a detailed explanation as to why. After speak with the manager for quite some time he provided us with a new price of $800 USD, before taxes or insurance and we would need to have a Air Miles card to receive this price (which we do not have). You can imagine our frustration. So we decided that it might be best to go with another company within the same airport since Thrifty would not honor the original price.

Unfortunately, after checking all other car rental companies in the airport it was determined that there were no other vehicles available for us to rent. Now here myself and my husband are stranded at the Honolulu Airport with our son who is only 1 years old along with our brother and sister-in-law and their 2 children (whom we were to share the rental vehicle with). The rental property we had booked was over an hour away from the Airport so we knew taking a taxi would not be an option. Our only option was to take the public transportation bus to the other side of the island which took about 2.5 hours, which included multiple transfers and stops (if it were not for the friendly locals I am sure we would have ended up lost). Now I am sure you can imagine how much fun that was with a toddler and 2 other children. Luckily we were able to book another vehicle through a different company a few days later and enjoy the remainder of our vacation.

Original review: March 15, 2018

We rented a car from Thrifty, and drove on three miles of toll road that did not have any toll booths or any way to pay cash. Our toll was $4.02, and the 'administration fees' were $29.97! It is unclear from the notice if the 'administration fees' were charged by Thrifty or the State of Florida, but in either case, the fees are excessive and border on fraud. No warnings were issued on the tollway, just that toll fees would be billed. Given the large number of people visiting the Orlando area, this should be a warning to all visitors.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Refuses to refund a prepaid rental at their own mistake! I travel 70% of the year. WORST experience ever! Trust me. I have no issue renting with anyone, but this particular company is really, really horrible. Just steer clear no matter what, you will thank me for it!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I travel a lot and normally use another car rental company, which I will never stray from again. I took my son to San Antonio Texas for a mini vacation. When I arrived at Thrifty to pick up my "luxury" vehicle, it was not what I was told it would be. Size of a vehicle is very important to me due to my son's height. They instantly tried charging me more for a full size SUV. That was the start of the nightmare. I did not want the upgrade and so had no choice but to settle for a 4 door sedan. I only drove 18 miles the entire time, 9 to the hotel and 9 miles back. The car was parked at the hotel the rest of the time.

When I returned the vehicle at the airport, the Thrifty representative accused me of smoking in the car, which I do not smoke, and insisted that I did. It was busy that day at the airport and I was not going to be held up for my flight home. After 5 minutes of me debating whether I smoke or not to this young cocky individual with a smug look on his face, I got a little loud and asked him if he was purposely trying to upcharge me with these false accusations. His colleague came over and got into the car and told me that everything was fine so I then signed off. The original representative that was dealing with me actually glared at me the whole time. I have never been more insulted in my entire life and will NEVER use or recommend Thrifty car rental to anyone.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have never had a more horrible rental experience. If you are deciding between rental companies, don't even give Thrifty Car Rental a second glance. I made my reservation online; the website stated that the price of my reservation included all taxes and fees. When I arrived at the car pick-up location, the customer service representative informed me that they didn't have the car that I requested. We had to wait for thirty minutes while he made some calls and eventually arranged for us to have a different size vehicle. I had to negotiate with him to ensure that I wouldn't be charged for this change. Then, when I was finalizing my reservation at the check-out counter, I was asked to sign a receipt for an amount that was three times the amount of what my reservation stated. When I asked about this, the customer service representative pointed to some very fine print on a document that said Thrifty charges each driver $30-$40/day for insurance.

This was despite the collision damage insurance I'd purchased online when making my reservation. He also told me that there were some fees for adding an extra driver. Nonetheless, the math simply didn't add up. My reservation was initially for $264. The bill they wanted me to pay was $667. This included a massive tax/fee that was unspecified. I complained, and another customer service representative cut the mysterious insurance charge in half, so that we ended up paying $348 for the rental. Still, I ended up paying $100 more than I expected. When I returned the vehicle four days later, the customer rep there handed me a bill for $148, apparently for "extra mileage." We asked to see the photos of the car's odometer ratings and discovered that they had forged the mileage on the receipt to include a larger amount.

When I told the customer rep that I refused to pay anything as this was deliberate deception, she made a few calls and then tersely said that there was nothing she could do and that their office would be billing me in the States via mail. In addition to all of this, my credit card company called me with a fraud alert for my account. Apparently Thrifty Car Rental had placed multiple charges on my card: one for $1500, another for $500, and another for $667. Today, two new charges appeared for $87 and $115. Thrifty never informed me of these charges and they are entirely unauthorized. I have reported fraud to my credit card company accordingly. I will never be renting from Thrifty Car Rental in the future. This experience was full of deception, hidden fees, and the worst customer service from the beginning. I am appalled that this company is still in existence.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Worst experience I ever had renting a car. When I called in to reserve my car almost a month in advanced they confirmed that I'll get a small econ car for 150$ for 4 days 3 nights. When I've arrived to pick up the car they charged me 411$ and gave me a grand caravan and told me that I can have a smaller car for extra 25$ because they have snow tires on them. Obviously I'm never coming back.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

After 25+ emails and a call to Thrifty I am still a very displeased customer. My husband was driving when he was rear ended by a Thrifty Car Rental and that is where the nightmare began. I gave them a quote and they offered $1700 less and refused to accept a confirmation with amount for car rental during that period. They have been unhelpful and want me to fill in a release form and are not willing to compromise or discuss. I would not rate them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We came last Saturday evening to Minneapolis, MN airport at 10:15pm to pick up our car rental only to discover that the attendant had left early. The counter was supposed to be open until 11pm. I called from our connecting flight and told the person at the contact number for Thrifty that we were running late and asked if someone would be there and she said she would forward the info to the person and that they were open anyways until 11pm. When our plane came in, I sprinted across the airport to arrive at 10:15pm and no one was there, I checked outside where the cars are and then talked to the other car rental agencies who said the guy had left early.

Luckily, the other rental agencies had people working so we were able to get a car in order to drive to our hotel 2 hours away and get some rest so we could enjoy the next 2 days of our vacation. If we had not been able to get a vehicle, our short trip would have been ruined because the rental didn't open til 9am the next morning. Our flights had been delayed that day and we had a very long, tiresome day of traveling. I WILL NEVER RENT A CAR FROM THRIFTY EVER IN THE FUTURE. THANKS FOR NOTHING. Why bother taking a reservation? I'm not paying a dollar so don't charge me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased my flight along with my rental car which I was charged $12/day for. When picking up the rental car, I upgraded up one level from economy. Rather than charging me the difference of $3/day, I was charged an additional $15/day. When confronting the representative with the charge, their explanation was the fees change daily. So basically I was charged for renting 2 cars. Their solution was none. Not how business should be conducted, robbing customers.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information