Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.10/5

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

A lot of people are complaining about tolls and policies whenever I rent a vehicle. If I am offered the toll pass which I decline it and decide to pay for tolls myself. I have been made aware of any fees associated with not paying them. You can not possibly think that they are going to pay Your toll fees and Refuel the gas you used at street price. It is inconvenient for them which is why I understand the fees. Their rates are cheap and you all expect something for nothing free driver free child seats, It is a business people and they are in the business to make money not scam or deceive us.

Every company has policies. If you don't like them Rent somewhere else. It's that simple. However, they All have policies. READ all the terms before you leave. It's that simple. By the way rates are not the same at every location. Who doesn't know that and they vary by day. If you're are an avid renter, it's similar to airline pricing. It varies. Why get upset because you are told there is a fee to drop at another location. Every company has and remember you have a Choice. Stop complaining and read before you leave and I'm sure all your future rental trips will be just fine.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I used Thrifty Car Rental. Usually requires a shuttle to pick up and return cars. Price just cannot be beat. Cars are fairly new, clean, great condition. Easy pickup and drop off, just found return location at last airport I rented at was very difficult to find.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The team at Thrifty at Kansas City International Airport is world class. My reservation is always ready when I arrive and the counter folks are the nicest people in the business. I travel extensively and Thrifty is by far my "go to" rental car provider.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I am another victim of Thrifty Car Rental's practice of overcharging however they can. I was scheduled to testify for the FBI in London, KY. They flew me in to Knoxville, TN where I had a car reserved with Thrifty. I paid the reservation price of $104.57 on 8/27 at pick up and was to return the car to the same location on 8/29. I ended up having to testify another day, so the FBI rescheduled my flight out of Lexington, KY on 8/30. On the morning of 8/29, I called the Thrifty office in Knoxville and explained the situation. The female that I spoke to said that it would be no problem, that the additional charge would be $43.57, that there was not a Thrifty at the Lexington airport, so return it to Hertz. This is what I did.

When I got home, I found that on 9/1 they had charged another $35 for a late fee, which they ultimately credited back to me. On 9/1 they placed another charge for $43.84. I called the office and was told that they did not know what it was for and I would need to speak with the manager...who would be out until the following Tuesday. I called the following Tuesday and was told he still was not available and that they would look into it. On 9/4 they charged an additional $261.68! I called again and this time the female promised that she would look into it and call me back. She did actually call me back and stated that she had no idea what the charges were, but that they would be removed from my credit card within 48 hours...but they were not.

On 9/12 they charged another $54.26 and all of the other charges were still there. I called again and was told I could speak to the owner because he was in that day...but he was in the garage. He would call me back. He never did. I went through this for 2 more days, gave up and disputed the charges on my credit card. Today the bank called to inform me that in fine print on the Thrifty Contract it states that you will be charged $1.75/mile if you drop it off at another location. This is NOT what I was told when I called to make the change! If I had been, I would have asked the FBI to change my flight back to Knoxville.

Even if I agreed with this (which I don't), that charge would be $301 for a grand total of $449.14...which is ridiculous for a 3 day rental. Instead, I am being charged over $600! This is the second time that Thrifty has screwed me on charges, but I promise it will be the last. And I will tell everyone that I know...and anyone that will listen what a RIP-OFF company this is. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

We used Auto Europe to rent (thru Thrifty) an Intermediate SUV including unlimited miles, liability insurance, collision damage coverage and theft protection. Upon picking up the car on 12 Sep, we inquired about an upgrade to an automatic and was told (by the manager Mr. Mark **) that there were no automatic, intermediate SUVs available, but for a “small charge” we could get an Audi A6 that was automatic.

We were then told that the new car would be a total of $420 EUR plus tax or $585.39 USD, which came out to an extra $217.50 USD from the original rental. I remarked that the difference of $217.50 would be ok, assuming that Dollar would subtract the $367.89 USD we had already paid to Auto Europe when the final bill was due. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that upon our return, we were going to be charged the full $585.39 USD! That would make the final bill a whopping $953.28, or roughly 260% of our original bill after tax…hardly a “small charge.”

To make matters worse, the first Audi they gave us was unacceptable and had a broken drivers seat. The second car they gave us, which we took, ended up having numerous issues. Approximately halfway through the trip, we got a low air caution on the tires. The next day, we got a warning that there was a fault with the brakes. The worst problem was when it started raining towards the end of the trip, we found out that the windshield wipers were barely usable and made driving in the rain extremely difficult and downright unsafe at night in the rain (in a country that gets rain almost daily).

At best, this was perhaps a misunderstanding, but I don’t think so. We were intentionally led to believe that it would only be a “small upgrade” after I mentioned numerous times that we only wanted to get the automatic if it wouldn’t cost very much. I have no problem driving a manual and actually wanted the intermediate SUV in order to be up higher off the ground to see better. I showed the manager my paperwork from AutoEurope with the $367.89 rate and we talked about the difference being not too bad. In the end, had the manager been forthright with us, there is absolutely no way we would have considered an upgrade that cost more than TWICE the original bill! Shame on you Thrifty for not making this right and for stealing from me...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

This company sucks! They are dishonest and unethical. I declined the refuel option as I ALWAYS do and returned the vehicle with a full tank of gas as I ALWAYS do. When I received my receipt I had a fuel charge of over $140! Not to mention they said I drove 436 miles when I had only driven the car less than 120 miles. The first time I called they said they could reduce the amount by half and I refused. I called back a second time and was hung up on and the third time I called they said they would only charge me $39. The only reason I agreed to pay is because I didn’t want to waste any more of my time. Lesson learned! I will never rent from Thrifty, Dollar or Hertz. This is a shady, unethical business. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Booked and paid thru 3rd party CarRental.com at time of booking. One month later get double charged for the same from Thrifty directly. On hold for days and hung up on 3 separate times. Basically told that 3rd party did not forward payment to Thrifty so they charged me again directly. Told me to take it up with 3rd party. Complete BS. Had to put file a dispute through credit card company. Also charged an extra $30US at time of pick up for no apparent reason although booking fully paid for thru 3rd party.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I paid for my car rental online for $188.00 with my ticket, I told them when I picked up the car I didn’t need the insurance and signed for the car. When I returned the car I was in a hurry and she handed me the receipt, I looked at it on the plane and they charged me $388.00 for insurance I had said no to!! I had to dispute it with my credit card company and Thrifty said no to making changes. They were underhanded and I would never use them again. I have always used Enterprise and will always stick with them - when you tell them no to insurance you don’t have to worry about what you are signing. If I could give a half a star I would have.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

They created a false claim that the car I rented had a smoke smell so bad that they couldn’t rent it again. I came back to the rental location to see the car that same night I checked the car, a security guard smelled, we didn’t smell anything. The next morning the manager Jay checked the car too & didn’t have a smoke smell. Yet they are not doing anything about it; refuse to make an investigation. They are relying on their own notes as if their own employees don’t make mistakes. There were 2 other cars arriving when I arrived. No one checked the car when I arrived like they normally do.

Abdel closed the account the 1st time with of $157 dollars but when I left & got home they charged me $400 & no explanations. I have made a claim with corporate, they can’t even say what kind of smell it was in the car. I don’t smoke. Abdel, who checked out the car when I arrived; I saw him the next morning, he didn’t know what I was talking about. He recognized me but didn’t know that was placed on the account. I want a refund of my $400.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

We got a flat tire. The car had no spare. Why would they rent out a car with NO SPARE TIRE!!! Called roadside assistance 4 times. They provided NO HELP. We were stuck there 4 1/2 hours with the Roadside assistance giving us the runaround. Had to pay $130.00 for a taxi Thrifty ordered for us going to a town with NO car rental agency related to Thrifty. Had to purchase 2 bus ticket to Los Angeles $269.00. We got a 2nd taxi $40.00 to bus station. Uber $33.82 from Los Angeles bus home. This was the worst experience of my life! Try multiple times calling customer service with answer!! My Nightmare continues... THE SADDEST PART OF THIS EXPERIENCE IS NO ONE FROM THRIFTY EVER CALL TO CHECK IF WE WERE OK!!

Thrifty Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information