2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Went to the counter. Lady at counter was I guess in a hurry. Did not want to listen. Just been pressuring me to purchase tolls for 12.99 per day. I asked if I use it one or two tolls how much it will be. She said it will be $5.50 cents per toll. I had to purchase 12.99 dollars per day package for tolls. When I returned the vehicle I filled the tank and returned, they automatically charged me $64.95 for fuel. I called customer service I was told to call back after 24 hours to get back refund. I called again after 2 days and I was told to send email the gas receipt. Do I deserve all this **. I rent cars from Enterprise rent a car all the times their toll is $3.50 every day charge and then regular toll price. They never ripped me off but Thrifty did. I will have to call credit card company to cancel 65 dollars charge for fuel which returned car was filled already.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Reserved a car online for our trip to St. Lucia. The day before our USA departure, I received an email confirmation that the car was waiting in St. Lucia for us. When we landed, we found the Thrifty agent in the parking lot. She told us she had no car for us. Showed her my paperwork, the conversation went nowhere. She suggested we look for a car with another company. Seeing as how Hertz's name was also on my reservation, I visited the woman holding the Hertz sign. She was pretty rude, and told me to talk to Thrifty woman.

We called the local phone number on reservation. Woman answered, said my reservation was cancelled - but she could not/would not say by whom. Called her back, she would not pick up. When we returned, sent email messages to Thrifty. They finally offered apologies, and a $100 voucher for a future rental! For abandoning us in an unfamiliar country, for starting off our vacation under intense stress, for making us pay more for an old car at another rental company, they offer $100 voucher!! Stay away from Thrifty. They have rarely ever provided good service to us.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Terrible!! Don’t rent through them! I should have read these reviews before renting because they apparently do the same thing to everyone- ask if you want additional insurance, you say no, they add it anyway and you sign the paper thinking it’s what you’ve agreed upon but it’s not and they don’t do anything about it. What a scam. Terrible customer service who gives you different answers depending who you talk to. Never dealt with anything like this with another rental company. Pay the extra $50 or so and go with another company!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I rented a car at Thrifty. Declined the insurance. Told them I had one already. But when I received my bill I was charged more than $100 for the insurance. Called thrifty and I was told there is nothing they can do about it because I had signed the agreement. Always make sure to read your agreement before you sign.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I wish I would have read the reviews. They say they are charging one price and when you get done it always a lot more. BEWARE. Use another car rental company. My story sounds exactly like many of the reviews on here. I think this is called Bait and Switch!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I went to Seattle for the Christmas holiday. I rented through Thrifty as I have done many times before. This time, I stayed in Seattle and used one of the toll tunnels to travel to the ferry and back, there is a sign at the tunnel indicating that you will be billed via mail 3.00, awesome no problem. Get home, couple weeks later, receive a bill in the mail 120.00. Um WHAT? For going through the tunnel a total of 7 times? What happened is that Thrifty declined to inform me at the time of rental and I am sure did to many other clients that if you use a toll you will be charged an additional 15.00 fee each time you do so above the 3.00 toll cost IF you do not sign up for their "toll pass" which allows unlimited use of tolls each day. Thanks Thrifty for NOT disclosing that information to me and multiple other people. Awesome Job. You just lost a customer!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I rented a Dodge Challenger for 6 days from Thrifty Car Rental, I found the deal through hotwire. When I first arrived at Orlando MCO airport we had to walk back and forth from the front desk to the kiosk about 3 times due to the lack of help. After I decided to upgrade to the Challenger for the week the total came out to $196.42. This was from 12/18/19 to 12/24/19. I used my Chase Freedom card, so I declined the insurance protection from Thrifty. The first day I got the car I later noticed some Disney hotel brochures and a bottle of dip spit on the back floor but other than that the car was fairly clean. So far everything is going well and I really enjoyed driving this car.

Upon return, I dropped the car off and the thrifty employee sat in the driver seat then entered information into his tablet. After that he said, “You're good to go.” This is when a problem occurred, a day later I was checking my credit card and noticed a charge of $596.42 from Thrifty car rental. The first thing I did was checked my email to see if they notified me of these charges but there was nothing. I had no missed calls or any other messages notifying me for a reason. I knew there were no damages to the car. From here I called customer service, they told me that there was a $400 charge for smoking in the vehicle. For whoever is reading this I do not smoke and I am actually a vary health conscious person. I told customer service that I do not smoke and I did not have anyone in my car that smokes. The only thing they told me to do was open an official dispute with corporate.

But also, the only way to contact corporate is through email (customerrelations@hertz.com) and it can take up to 5 to 7 business days. After I sent the email, I decided to drive up to the location I rented the car from to see if I could talk to someone face to face. The manager gave me a pamphlet with a different customer service number to call. He stated that there was nothing he could do because it’s a completely different department. I asked if we both could walk to the car to identify any signs of smoking but the car was actually already rented out. After more customer service phone calls and speaking with the manager I finally decided to go home and wait for a response from corporate.

On January 2, 2020 corporate notified me that they would credit me back the $400. This is the email they sent me ("Thank you for contacting us. I appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns. As a one time gesture of concern, a credit in the amount of $400.00 is being processed to the account billed. This represents the disputed charge for smoking. The adjustment is being made at this time, but may not appear on the next monthly statement due to billing cut-off dates. Thank you again for contacting us.")

In all, for future car rentals I will confirm that there is no problem with the person I dropped the vehicle off with and if another issue occurs I will wait for a reply from corporate. I wasted a lot of my time trying to talk with the manager and customer service. As far as not being notified for the smoking charge, I am not sure if it’s in the fine print that they don’t have to notify customers but it came across as shady business ethics. If you ever decide to rent from Thrifty be aware of unauthorized charges, there’s plenty of bad reviews online.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My husband traveled down to Houston, TX because his mom only had three days to live. I purchased the Thrifty rental car through Orbitz and signed up for the damage insurance. He picked up his rental car when he got there. He was asked if he wanted insurance through them and he declined since we already signed up for it. We have now been charged for the insurance through Thrifty which was over $100 because the lady at the counter put down that he wanted it anyway. They will not refund the money even though they can see where it was already purchased. They were rude on the phone and complete crooks. You can not charge someone who is already upset about their mom dying double for the same thing. This is bad customer service and I do not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

We were told it would be cheaper to pay up front for gas. We didn’t need to bring it back full and it would be adjusted upon return. We had a half of a tank of gas. They do not credit you for any gas in the tank. It cost us double what it would have if we had just filled the tank ourselves. Booked on Hotwire and had additional charges upon arrival.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I don't get why it's so hard to not overcharge people and to keep records of the transactions. This company is the worst. The employee asked my mother and I whether or not we wanted toll protection and we said of course we do, he told us we were good to go. Now all of a sudden we never paid for that protection -- WEEKS LATER. It's almost like they deleted the information, waited until we threw away our receipts and charged us again. In the beginning we had a huge discrepancy from them charging us 1,500$!! For renting a car for a week!! It was supposed to be no more than 200$ Their employee, or their system - whatever, charged us 5 times! Not only did that mess with my credit score, I almost couldn't pay for something because I only had my credit card on my person. This company is unprofessional and should not have your business TRUST ME. Don't waste your time.

Not sure about Thrifty Car Rental?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Thrifty Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information