Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.15/5

1022 Thrifty Car Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

A lot of people are complaining about tolls and policies whenever I rent a vehicle. If I am offered the toll pass which I decline it and decide to pay for tolls myself. I have been made aware of any fees associated with not paying them. You can not possibly think that they are going to pay Your toll fees and Refuel the gas you used at street price. It is inconvenient for them which is why I understand the fees. Their rates are cheap and you all expect something for nothing free driver free child seats, It is a business people and they are in the business to make money not scam or deceive us.

Every company has policies. If you don't like them Rent somewhere else. It's that simple. However, they All have policies. READ all the terms before you leave. It's that simple. By the way rates are not the same at every location. Who doesn't know that and they vary by day. If you're are an avid renter, it's similar to airline pricing. It varies. Why get upset because you are told there is a fee to drop at another location. Every company has and remember you have a Choice. Stop complaining and read before you leave and I'm sure all your future rental trips will be just fine.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I used Thrifty Car Rental. Usually requires a shuttle to pick up and return cars. Price just cannot be beat. Cars are fairly new, clean, great condition. Easy pickup and drop off, just found return location at last airport I rented at was very difficult to find.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The team at Thrifty at Kansas City International Airport is world class. My reservation is always ready when I arrive and the counter folks are the nicest people in the business. I travel extensively and Thrifty is by far my "go to" rental car provider.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Thank you so much again! We had many issues because of lost documents and invalid Credit Cards, but the so very helpful rental car advisor, Pamela, worked with us through all those issues and found the greatest car for my sister and me! We would be lost without her, so thank you again for your services Pamela! You are the best! We highly recommend renting a car there!!! 10 Stars!??

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

This is the second time that I have rented with Thrifty. This time we were in Los Angeles, I have to give them props. I stood in line for only about two minutes before I was at the counter picking up the car. The only issue I had was once we returned the car and waiting on the bus to take us to the terminal. Two buses pulled up to take a large group of us to the terminal, but only one driver would allow us to board the bus. The other rude driver would not allow anyone on his bus, or provide an explanation. He then watched as we all crammed into the other bus before he left with his empty bus. This guy is sorry and should not be dealing with your customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

My first time renting with Thrifty and I have to say it's the worse that I have experienced in 25 years of rentals. Rented a truck from the airport in Anchorage Alaska and was offered an upgraded truck for an additional 10.00 and I took the offer. On my way to Soldotna had a flat tire around midnight. Changed the tire and was on my way. Next day I called to inquire what to do with the flat tire. After a long wait on the phone, finally got a person who didn't know anything. Waited another 15 minutes while she tracked down her manager and told me to take the tire to a tire shop and have it fixed and I would be reimbursed upon returning the truck.

I was told that the 27.50 flat tire cost would be deducted on my invoice. Never was and couldn't get anyone at the airport to answer the phone. Still can't. I will continue calling until someone answers. It has been two weeks and still can't get anyone to answer the phone. Called the national phone and was transferred to a number which said it couldn't handle my call. This is the worse company I have dealt with in a long time. I would never rent from this company ever again. When you see this company come up under Travelocity, run as fast as you can. Never rent from this company.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental through our credit card points. They were way overpriced, but we wanted the convenience of picking it up at the airport in Portland, Oregon. This rental company is NOT at the airport. They advertise that it is and then they make you take a bus to the actual location offsite. It is false advertising. The counter man was extremely rude and unhelpful. It took us an additional hour to get our car than the last time we rented at the airport. Don't rent from them!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Just rented a mini van over the past week. I thought I was getting a great deal. My total payment was 570 for the week. When I returned it I had all these other fees. The fuel I knew about 9 dollars per gallon if they fill, but 22 percent tax and other fees that total another 190 dollars on top of my bill. I have never had any problems like this from the other car rentals. When you try to call them they put you on hold. Never rent from this place again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I also thought I was getting a good deal when I booked a car from the Thrifty Car Rental website for $25/day. I wasn't using a third party website so I felt pretty safe about the transaction. Three weeks later, I found out that they charged my credit card two times. Once for the $25 and a second time for $29 for added fees. I called and threatened to contact the Better Business Bureau to have the fees removed. That didn't seem to faze them so I said that I would dispute the credit card charge and they agreed to refund me for the $29. The hassle is not worth the refund. I've NEVER had issues like this with Enterprise or National. The price that you see on their website is the price you pay, ALWAYS.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I reserved a car for my wife and daughter online thinking Thrifty would be a reputable outfit. Couldn't be more wrong, at least not at the Ontario, CA airport location but probably representative of the corporate culture. The first car they were given was dangerously defective and was automatically engaging the emergency braking in traffic. Took it back the next day and were given a replacement car; luckily they weren't injured in an accident as a result of the car Thrifty issued. They weren't given a vehicle condition form to fill out for the second car but my daughter was smart enough to take pictures of a repainted area of the car.

When they turned it in tonight (8/12), they were told they would have to file out a form taking responsibility for the damage and that Thrifty would never have given out a car with that type of damage. All lies and incompetence. My wife refused to sign of course and so the thug checking the car in called his manager who said they were going to file a claim against us. Good thing we have evidence of their deceit (Proposed Litigation Headline: "Teenage girl outsmarts corrupt Thrifty cartel in Ontario!") but I hope this review can help you avoid their scam by going with a different rental car agency. I sure will be in the future.

Thrifty Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information