2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: July 29, 2020

Thrifty is the worst car rental company I have experienced and I advise everyone to not use them for their renting needs. My flight got in early so when I picked up the car early they charged me over double what the original base price was because "base price can change base on time". Sorry my flight got in early... Good to know Thrifty doesn't honor prices. The lady at the counter told me to take it up with customer service, which should essentially be nonexistent. They take forever to answer the phone and give you attitude on top of it. :) I paid over $500 for a two day rental thanks to thrifty. Finally got in touch after a month or two and they are doing nothing about the mishap here.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Hertz owns Thrifty and Dollar rental car companies. So, my complaint is with all of them. Customer service non-Existent. I rented a Car from Thrifty at Detroit Metro Airport. They never inspected the car when I took the car or upon return, Come to find out they charged me a $300.00 extra cleaning fee on my Visa. I called Thrifty and as usual it was customer service, out of the country I think Philippines. The first person that I talked to, she was no help, then she transferred me to The Bahamas where I talked to a “supervisor”. No proof just said they had to do extra cleaning. 1.5 hours later, I was on hold and discussions, no help no pictures or proof. Basically, you're screwed with no solutions. I guess I will dispute my credit card, hopefully that works. I have rented many cars from various companies with no issue until now. Terrible service at the counter as well. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and rent at better rates from someone else.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I reserved and paid for a rental car from Thrifty and canceled the reservation 19 days prior to pickup due to the Corona Virus state of Nevada shutdown. Thrifty (Hertz Corporation) has a cancellation policy of charging $50 prior to 24 hr. cancellation. I called Thrifty to explain the cancellation was of no fault of my own. The young lady helping me assured me that a full refund would be given because of the virus. I never received the refund and was still charged the $50 cancellation fee. I called a 2nd time to be told that the $50 fee is their cancellation policy and it would be enforced, virus or no virus. I think this is very poor customer service making money off the customers at no fault of their own.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I rented a car for 4 days for $300. That's $75 a day. When I was at the counter going to get my rental the clerk said that I could be 1 day late returning the car and they would charge me for just 1 extra day. I returned the car 1 day late and they charged me $217. That's pretty sneaky if you ask me. I will never rent from this company again and I don't encourage anyone else to either.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I am presenting a review about enrollment in their Blue Chip program. I tried on numerous occasions to enroll in their Blue Chip program, with no luck. I finally became frustrated with the whole enrollment procedure. I called the Blue Chip program and was informed that it was unable to sign me up for the program because I was using a debit card as my card of choice. I then was informed that the sign up program is behind the times, and was unable to accept my debit card. It is unfortunate that Thrifty is behind the times in accepting my debit card to enroll in their Blue Chips program.

To make this even more unpalatable is that they are always willing to accept my debit card for payment of my rentals. So the indications are that my debit card is good enough to pay for my rentals, but yet not good enough to allow me to be a member of their Blue Chips program. I have since moved on, along with all of my businesses, to another organization that is current with the ability to sign up with a reward programs. To make even more unpalatable is that Hertz, the parent company of Thrifty, is accepting my debit card and I am enrolled in their rewards program. Thrifty, get your act together. You just lost some serious business.

Original review: June 1, 2020

They will change rates and they do not tell you. I rented a Car for 24 days. Was quoted $398. Right before I was to return the car. I called to ask about changing the return location from ONT airport to LAX airport. They quoted me over the phone (cause you can't make changes online) a $10 rental destination change, so new total was $410. If the price was much more than original quote I would not have changed the rental drop off location. After I return the car I get a automated email for my final bill its $600. I called Thrifty, and they refused to even help. They said in our contract they have a right to change rates if returning to different location. That is fine, but how would I know the rate unless I called, and asked. Thus I did and they quoted me $410. At the time I asked the agent does this include all taxes and fees and they agent on the phone said yes. When talking to Customer Service they said they can't do anything after the car is returned.

They refused to listen to the recorded phone call when I called to request the change. I was quite taken aback that they were so non-customer focused. Customer service said they can see I called in to make a change, and apologized that the phone agent didn't quote me the correct amount, but there was nothing they could do. There is something that they can do, do the right thing!

Original review: March 31, 2020

I rented a car through one of Thrifty's resellers. I prepaid to get a better rate. I turned the car in early because of all the shutdowns of National Parks. Thrifty will not adjust my cost. They are completely unflexible during this national emergency. They would not adjust the transportation fees, or remove any of the days that I did not rent the car. I went from renting 41 days down to 20. The only thing they adjusted were the number of days for insurance. One of their offices said they were waiving transportation fees. They did not. They said they could adjust the contract type but that it would be more expensive since my daily rate would go up. This was a very expensive lesson for me. BEWARE the consequences of pre-payment options and using their resellers. This was my first time renting through them. It's my last.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I recently rented with Thrifty. At the rental counter, I was told about a $10.99 a day toll tag charge ($43.96 total for 4 days). I declined as I knew the Tolls I would going through would be less than $10 total and would just pay them when the bill came. I was not however told that I should or could use my own toll tag otherwise I would be assessed outrageous fees. I was not told Thrifty would charge $15 for each toll booth I went through if I did not pay their set fee of $10.99.

Two weeks after the rental ended I received a bill for $125.99! The total toll charges were only $5.99. That means $120 in fees were assessed. So I did some research online and apparently this is a huge deceptive practice Thrifty does. I found many others with similar complaints. Thrifty was even sued but the state of Florida for scamming people by charging these excessive fee rates. You see, these so call "fees" for processing is 100% profit. I called my local toll Authority NTTA and they told me that they did not even charge any fees to Thrifty for the tolls. So in my case the $120 is pure profit they make to pay a $5.99 toll fee that was paid automatically and electronically by Thrifty. No human putting in hours for this transaction. Beware, they are ripping people off and it is illegal now at least in Florida. I hope all states sue them!

Original review: March 27, 2020

First they didn't have our SUV that we paid for and reserved a month in advance. Then they lied about how much money it costs for an extra driver. The car they switched us to was good mechanically but had lots of scratches. It's been several days since we returned car in good shape and my deposit hasn't been returned yet. Stay far away from these weasels. It's better to pay 10 times more at a different company. These guys charge you so many stupid fees when you bring car back its criminal. Please steer clear.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Trip October 2019. Up for 24 hours traveling solo from Nj to Kona Hi and arrived @Thrifty rental counter exhausted with a 2 hour drive ahead of me. The white male representative behind the counter looked up my reservation and said that how I rented the car online, “qualified” me to upgrade to a Jeep Wrangler for a “FEW” more dollars “per day“ and a Jeep will give me unlimited access to everything and I’ll avoid paying for expensive guided tours and will save money.

On vacation and owning a different Jeep, I agreed to upgrade and chose to return it empty of fuel. I originally reserved through Expedia and was paid in full prior to this. The bill was described to me as this is the upgrade charge, this is the fuel charge and this is the Refundable CC hold making my total and sign here then go outside and wait for it to arrive. It arrived 20 minutes later with no instruction or inspection. I went inside to ask to be shown how to operate the T-Top removal and the same rep @ the counter told me to look it up on YouTube! To not endure a damage charge, I had a lesser experience with keeping the roof intact for the whole trip.

Now home I received my CC bill for the total bill meaning I’m now charged double by including the rental fee I had paid in full already to Expedia. For formality I called Expedia and they can’t help. I call Thrifty and 4 times the CSR just repeated that “you signed the contract”. The csr did not want to get me a manager and I waited on hold for 20 minutes for a man claiming to be a manager and he simply repeated “you signed the contract” 3 times. Finally on my 4th attempt with asking now if I need to dispute this charge with my CC, the manager admitted fault by offering a $30.00 credit towards my $313.00 duplicate charge. I told him that is not appropriate and I will dispute this charge with my CC. I file the dispute and received a credit, they didn’t receive my paperwork and re-billed the amount, I saw this and called and now faxed the 8 pages and was credited once again.

Now I’m receiving bills from Thrifty for my disputed $313.00 charge and the CC said to disregard the bills for now. Now on Coronavirus lockdown I received a call from Viking Client Service, collecting on behalf of Hertz Corp the $313.00 disputed charge. I explained my situation and got his phone # and email to send him any updates. So I call my CC whom says I was credited the dispute charge and that they received NO RESPONSE from Thrifty and the dispute was considered in favor of myself and the CC and was closed. I sent an update email to Viking Client Service with all of this information and asked for the contact information for the president of Hertz Corp if what I have provided is not enough to recognize the error and reconsider the collection and with a thank you for bringing this to my attention. So far no response in 2 days from Viking. Today still dealing with this March 26, 2020.

Thrifty Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information