1.25/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

956 Thrifty Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I reserved car online at 3:30 pm. Was dropped off at the Milwaukee airport only to discover that my debit card was not allowed for same day booking that it was only allowed for next day pickup. This was bad for me since I only needed a larger car to take my parents to the airport because I drive a pickup truck. I will never be in this situation again. The lady at the counter was very firm about company policy and as a 53 year old person I did not get upset. I just know that I will never use this company. I told the counter person I only carry a small credit card and a debit card in my wallet, she stood firm on policy. This was very bad for me since I needed to get my parents to the airport at 5:30 and I planned on a $20 rental to make them feel good... I only write this because I am in the wedding venue business and our business would get such a review if we treated our customers this way. My name is Keith and I am a real person.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

On 2/7/2019 we rented a car in Palm Springs for 4 days. Due to snow, our flight home was cancelled. We rebooked a flight at Ontario airport and when we requested to drop off the rental at the other airport which was only 1 1/2 hours away we were quoted a $600.00 charge to return it to a different airport in the same state. I will never use Thrifty Car rental again.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I have rented from Thrifty a very long time. I just rented and returned a car this morning. 2 hrs passed and I have a family emergency I needed another rental. The Warwick, RI location denied me, and said I need a 24 hr notice, or major credit card. A bank Visa card AAA, ID was not good enough. Called Corp Office, they called store to advise a $200 deposit, plus rental, 2 forms of I.D was ok. This store location, Brenda, threatened to punch me in the face, the manager was RUDE, would not honor anything. I have rented for years. It looks like I will never return here. Not acceptable at all.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We had a detestable rental experience in December in Orlando. The commercial agent has practiced very aggressive commercial methods which I call forced selling. Upon our return in France we noticed an additional and unexpected 500$ outcharge!!!! While we never asked for an upgrade it looks like the sales agent forced us to upgrade the car as they did have the category we booked available which should result in a free upgrade anyway. Thrifty claims that as we've sign (we've actually been nearly forced to sign!!! Some that was electronic so not easy to read) we are supposed to have agreed Tc&Cs!! They act as pirates!

After a 10 hours flight with our two kids and a 6 hour jet lag you can imagine how fresh we were so the way your agent proceeded it's a complete abuse. We genuinely booked a Jeep Liberty and when we arrived at the desk he immediately proposed a Chevrolet Tahoe which we refused as we did want to pay additional fees. He then proceeded with the paperwork and pushed a screen for my husband to sign electronically, printed the paperwork and put in an envelop promptly directing us to the car park to take our car.

We're French and while we can speak & understand English/American (we both work in foreign language) the clerk agent was speaking very very fast even when asked to repeat, he just didn't made any effort to be clear and was quite aggressive. Secondly, as said we genuinely booked a Jeep Liberty and were given a Chevrolet Equinox. I really see no upgrade in this, this is same car category and when we pick up the car in the underground parking there were only Chevrolet cars: Tahoe, Equinox and a sedan model. That's it. So in a nutshell we've been abused by aggressive and unfair sales methods. Our car category was not available and we've been charged something we never requested. RUN AWAY, do not book any car with this company.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The worse experience ever with HOTWIRE.COM/THRIFTY Car Rental. Both of these place are the worse place to go to because they don't care if you were trying to get an extended contract and/or try to upgrade your vehicle. I was trying to be a loyal customer with Hotwire.com/Thrifty Car Rental to extend my rental with them. All they did was give me the runaround for several hours when I got to the SEATAC airport.

I called the night before with Hotwire.com to see if they can help me with the upgrade from a Compact Car to a 4X4 SUV. The agent on the phone Hotwire.com stated that they can get the deal comparable with Expedia.com; what I was quoted before buying with Expedia.com so I didn't go with Expedia.com and agent told me just to waited till morning to see if they have an SUV available and that the agent would input the quote that I was given from Expedia.com on my Thrifty Car Rental reservation so that Thrifty Car Rental will see it in the morning when I got to the SEATAC airport.

When I got to SEATAC airport to see if they have 4X4 SUV available before paying for the Upgrade and Extend of my vehicle rental contract, Thrifty Car Rental told me if I upgrade from the Compact Car to a 4X4 SUV, I would have to pay over $100 per day plus all the fee. I was shock that the agent from Thrifty Car Rental didn't read the quote that was input to my account from Hotwire.com that they were going to give me the price of Expedia.com price. Thrifty Car Rental told me now to call Hotwire.com to see what they can do for me. Now this is when both HOTWIRE.COM/THRIFTY Car Rental started to give me the runaround.

Long story short I explain everything from Hotwire.com agent the night before, Thrifty Car Rental at SEATAC airport, back to Hotwire.com on the phone; that they were no notes stating I was going to get an upgrade that was comparable with Expedia.com price that was supposed to be input to my account and that both HOTWIRE.COM/THRIFTY Car Rental would not be able to HONOR the quote that was given to me from the start. So thankfully I was able to talk to Expedia.com and Fox Car Rental to be able to get a better rate and cancel my reservation with Hotwire.com/Thrifty Car Rental SEATAC airport.

When I returned the compact car with Thrifty Car Rental I read the EARLY RETURN FEE, of $25 will be applied so I was ok with that. Then Thrifty Car Rental said that I would have to call Hotwire.com to get my refund I was supposed to get back because I returned the car less time of my contract and only used it for about 3-4 day of my contract. Hotwire.com stated that unfortunately they can't do anything about it and they all Contract are final with no consideration at all. That is why I would NEVER go through Hotwire.com and Thrifty Car Rental ever again and will make sure to let everyone know that both of these place will give you the runaround and best to just pay a bit more for less headache.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I recently rented a car from Thrifty on a business trip in Dallas and they asked me if I wanted to buy to toll pass token for an X amount of dollars that I thought was high or just get billed by mail for a small service fee. I opted for the mail option and when I got the bill I about fell over. My tolls for my trip were $12.87 and they charged me $180.00 for service fees or $15.00 per toll charge whether it was for .50c or $1.00 etc. Insane and I will never rent from Thrifty again. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I thought I had a good experience with Thrifty other than the obvious lack of experience by the young girl who processed me. She did not explain anything or ask if I wanted insurance. I didn’t but have rented a few times and know they always ask. There was a toll pass in the car. I thought “cool, they just bill the tolls.” This was a big issue later. I had not been told how the system worked. A month later I revive a bill for 127$. I had three tools equaling about 5$!!! I was charge 15.99 per day. Not just the two days I drove through a toll, but EVERYDAY I had the car. I did not even use the toll pass until day 8 of a 10 day rental, but Thrifty went back and billed me the entire week! I feel robbed by this company. Do not use them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Went to pick up car I reserved on-line. Teddy was awesome, I had some difficulty with my credit card but got it worked out. When I had to return car, and re-contract again as I was using a different credit card is where things got a little crazy, I was using a Mastercard and they were gonna hold $350 on card and the price of the rental. Wow! I ended up getting another week of rental through another company! Quick and easy with the other company!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

BEWARE: If I could give this company no stars I would. This company likes to take advantage of people and take their money. I was so excited to rent a car for the very first time and go to Spokane for a friend's wedding. Now it will haunt me for the rest of my life. First of all, nobody walked around the car with me to check for damages and it was very dark at night in the lot. I checked the whole vehicle the best I could and everything looked fine to me. My parents have gotten car rentals before and an employee would always go around the car and note damages with my parents and usually there were noticeably things wrong with the car. This one looked like there was no damage so I had nothing to take note of.

I barely drove the car in the week I was there for the wedding. I just drove the car to get breakfast or dinner and see a bit of Spokane. I believe it was 150 miles in total for the week I was there. Upon returning the car, the inspection lady was very pushy. Before I even got out of the vehicle she was very forceful in her tone and was trying to talk to me. I still had to gather my luggage and she was pushing paperwork at me and telling me to sign things. I asked her if I could please have a minute to gather my belongings out of the car. She was very rude and inspected the HELL out of the car. I have seen my parents rent cars before and have never experienced any of this.

She was looking and every nook and cranny to purposely find something. And she did. She told me she found a "dent" which I couldn't even see in the daylight. I had to ask her to point it out to me because I literally couldn't even see it. I tried talking to the lady about it and demanded a manager which she would not allow. She forced me to write a statement and sign it which I should have never signed looking back on it. In my statement I said how I felt I was being taken advantage of. The company ended up filing a claim against me for at least 900 dollars for damages that I did not even do to the car. The company sent at least 20 pictures to me in which you could see nothing and zero damage.

I don't make very much money so I had to go with this company as it was much cheaper than any other option and what was supposed to be a trip to celebrate good friends has turned my life into a nightmare. So much for trying to save money. I will never rent a car again because of this experience and want people to know that this company likes to purposely gouge people of their money and take advantage of them. I feel like we need to come together as a community and expose this company for who they are. If anybody is interested in starting a lawsuit against this company please contact me!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We rented from Thrifty Car Rental in Orlando. Upon return they charged us 300.00 for a smoking fee, we didn’t smoke in the car. They found an ash on the driver's side by the seat on the floor. There was 30 MPH winds that day and an ash must have blown in when I was smoking outside the car. The keychain had a note that a 250.00 smoking fee would be charged if you smoked in the vehicle so there was no way we were going to smoke in it. We offered to go vacuum car out because it had sand in it and they refused. We got the manager and he was very unprofessional. He told us that he would give us a hundred dollars off the charge and the normal charge was 400.00, even though the contract stated a 250.00 charge. There was absolutely no negotiating with him. You could have literally picked the ash up with your fingers. They just wanted to prove gouge us with the ridiculous charges.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I pre-booked & paid for a rental car online with Hotwire.com for a total of $434.59 (which included: $265.59 - 8 day rental, $179.00 - taxes and fees less $10 discount). When I picked the car up at the Thrifty Car Rental - Sky Harbor Airport, Phoenix, AZ location, I verbally declined the Loss Damage Waiver coverage with the Thrifty desk agent and then was asked to sign the screen for what I assumed was notice of declining the coverage.

However, my credit card was then charged for the declined Loss Damage Waiver along with other miscellaneous fees for taxes (again) & a concession fee recovery all of which was above & beyond what Hotwire already charged me for taxes & miscellaneous fees. The total of the EXTRA fees I was charged for including the Loss Damage Waiver which I declined verbally was $341.38 ($255.92 Loss Damage Waiver, $33.38 - Concession Fee Recovery, $52.08 - tax) which is outrageous given that those fees almost total the full amount of the actual rental itself.

Ultimately, I am seeking a refund of no less than $255.92 for the Loss Damage Waiver which I declined but was scammed into signing for under the pretense that I was signing to decline said coverage AND a refund of the $33.38 Concession Fee Recovery & $52.08 tax unless someone can explain to me what these fees are for given that I already paid $179.00 in taxes & fees to Hotwire for this rental. I am attempting to work with Thrifty to get a refund but to date they are not being cooperative in this matter. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB regarding this matter after reading several complaints of the same scam/rip-off by Thrifty Car Rental.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I am very disappointed with my Car Trawler/Thrifty experience. I thought I was saving money on my rental, but it turns out that I wasn't and actually paid more once the taxes were added on at the end. My Orlando Thrifty rental was fine. I got to choose my minivan for a two-week rental. No problem there. Returning the vehicle was fine also. I was surprised when I got home and saw my email from Thrifty adding on another $111. for taxes. This should have been disclosed to me at the counter or through Car Trawler.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

When we approached the counter, the representative told me there is no insurance on this car and we need to book additional insurance. As a business travel I've had many of those experiences before. I told the guy, we don't need extra insurance. He said, but there is no insurance at all. I called the travel agent immediately and the lady confirmed, that we have basic insurance. So, the representative at the counter just wanted to screw us. We forced not to buy any more insurance and we got our car.

After returning the car we got an invoice of $464.30 instead of the $270.05 on the confirmation email of the travel agent. We are in the procedure to file a complaint about the behavior of your staff at Munich Airport and we will post this also in all Social Media. We will not accept that people who are traveling to Germany got screwed by the employees of Thrifty.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In short: you pay for what you get, and at Thrifty you're paying for a terrible experience, and customer service is abysmal. Long story: I've tried Thrifty at BWI twice now and both experiences were horrible and both ended with me going with a different service. First experience, made reservation online, we get there ready to pick up the cars (rented 2 cars online). They charge us extra fees (late pickup fee, 600 hold on credit and insist on adding their insurance because we booked "luxury SUV's). This would sort of make sense but they don't even have luxury SUV's (we reserved full size SUV online) nor did they at the time have ANY SUV's available. They told us to take Chrysler 200's instead and because we prepaid they would not give us a refund for the different rate for a sedan vs a SUV that we reserved.

Second experience was today 1/7/19, I had forgotten about my first terrible experience and made the horrible mistake of making another reservation with Thrifty online again. I use my credit card but I made a reservation for my girlfriend because my credit card provides renters insurance. We get there, the very unhelpful and rude rep tells us reservation name and credit card name must match, ok no problem. "Can you change either the form of payment or the driver's name to match my GF?" Also had a CC ready. "No I can't make any changes, you have to call customer service to make any changes."

We call customer service, they tell us to call a different number (after waiting for 30 mins to get to someone). We call the number (another 20 mins to get to someone). Person says she can't make changes but can cancel the previous reservation and create a new one with me as the driver and still use my payment, she says she has to speak to the front desk in order to complete the transaction. During this time there's another customer who arrived and first thing out his mouth was "I have a complaint."

So we have to wait another 30 minutes on hold while the front desk lady resolves the problem the other customer has and for the record she sent him away to call the same customer service number and he is livid and pissed. Finally it's our turn, we give her the phone, she talks to customer service. No problem. "Send the new confirmation number and we'll be good to go." I asked several times, "Can you give me a confirmation number now?" "No everything has to be sent via email." Another 15 mins goes by until we get the email. We give the email to the front desk lady, she says it's the same confirmation number as before, so the customer rep on the phone didn't make the changes and just sent out the exact same information in a new email.

At this point 2.5 hours have passed and no solution in sight. I'm livid. I walk up to Enterprise, "How much for a rental?" They give me the rates which in total was about $20 more which was fine. I'm helped by almost all 5 staff members at Enterprise, extremely professional. They even waive the additional driver fee which is what Thrifty wasted 2.5hrs of my life for.

I call back Thrifty customer service to get a refund for my money since they never provided me a car and still haven't resolved my issue. They tell me "not being satisfied with their customer service wasn't good enough reason to get a refund." So then I have to get my credit card company involved, I called Bank of America - in 10 minutes they refund my money. STAY AWAY FROM THRIFTY.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

This company seems to lack proper training for its employees to handle all possible situations. When we had an issue arise, assistance was not forthcoming. Attempts at getting help locally was almost nonexistent. The call centers at the 1-800 numbers can’t provide assistance. We parked in front of a closed business where ‘tow’ signs were visible, but decided to park there to eat at the restaurant next door. The parking lot was adjoining, and full, and others were parked where we decided to. We made the mistake of assuming it would be OK when that other business wasn’t open. No phone call made for tow, no citation issued, but All Valley Impound apparently takes the initiative to tow where they have contracts. It was a fight to reclaim our personal belongings from the vehicle. This, according to local law enforcement is illegal, rental or not.

Thrifty Car Rental offered very little assistance. Stating it could take up to 10 days to get the car back through their Impound Department. No urgency for them, as they just pass the costs down to the customer. Issuing a replacement vehicle, at no charge, is policy, but staff on hand was not knowledgeable on how to do this. Uber has to be used for transportation until they ‘rented’ another car to us. Proof of ownership has to be provided for release of vehicle from Impound lot. Thrifty still claiming this could take time. No solid explanation for this. In the meantime, the clock keeps ticking & bill getting higher. This matter will be pursued legally.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We arrived in Baltimore at eleven pm and took the shuttle to the car rental. Every rental agency had lines except for Dollar and Thrifty so we went to Thrifty. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!!! First the clerk didn't speak hardly any English and couldn't converse with us regarding the rental agreement or the exaggerated charges. Convenience fee for What??? Anyway we got through the agreement and at no time did he attempt to tell us about the toll pass in the car. When we went to get the car the attendant was making out in a car with a man? We had to physically go to the car and get her to be told that we could pick out any car in the row and exit, as the keys were in the car. So we picked one and it had the toll pass. At no time did anyone tell us it would cost us an arm and a leg to use this convenience. You have to read the fine print to learn that it is not part of the sum being billed.

This very deceitful and it actually baits the driver into using it as all the wording leads you to believe it is part of the deal, nothing at all says it is additional except for a very small sentence deep down in the contract. All I can say is to beware of this company. It is a deceitful company that has to use trickery to make more money. I have rented many a car from other competitors and never had a communication problem or hidden fees as I experienced with Thrifty Car Rental!

I will never again use this company and I can say if you are considering using them that you should reconsider it!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was not asked if I wanted to purchase the loss/damage waiver at the time I picked up my rental car. The desk agent just added it to my agreement. Imagine my surprise when I was charged over $100 more than I was expecting when I dropped off my vehicle, and was told I could not change it! Very very disappointed. This was money. I needed to pay my rent and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My original estimate said the total cost would be around $220.82 and I ended up paying over $370. When I called customer service they told me I'd signed the agreement so I had to pay and implied I was trying to get out of it. Extremely upsetting and completely ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Upon Arrival at Philadelphia, Shuttle came and when I arrived, I was Not happy as I reserved a Full Size Car and the minute I walked in they told me that all they had was a compact car as the renter before me took the key with them and that the compact car was the only car in the lot. (Literally) They did compensate me but I was utterly disappointed. I don't drive Compact Cars for a reason. The lady at the register was friendly and apologized and there was nothing else they could for me. I will NOT use Thrifty again as I travel quite frequently to Philadelphia.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We rented a car upon flying to see my son who I had not seen in 2 1/2 years. He is stationed in the US Navy and was overseas. I went to Thrifty at Dulles Airport. The gentleman was very rude, and never walked me to the car to check it out and have me sign something about the condition. When I checked out at the booth that person never did either. When I got back to return the car, the gentleman about 15 minutes later got me off the bus to the airport and showed me and cracked front bumper. I know I didn't do that. I drove to my Son's home and back and forth to the grocery store which was about 3 miles down the road. A month later I get a bill for $810 for the repair. I will never use them again, it was my 1st and last. Horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Charged me for a full tank of gas after I just filled it up. Charged me a full day rental for being a little late. Customer service will not do a thing for you. Thrifty really sucks! Will not use them ever again and I urge everyone to stay away!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Worst service EVER. Does not even deserve a single star! Company policy clearly states that they accept valid debit cards for rentals. My daughter does not have a credit card, so we chose Thrifty. She went to pick up the car to drive home for Christmas and they refused her valid debit card!!! I tried to use my credit card, with my excellent credit rating and they refused that as well. My daughter will not be coming home for Christmas. Please everyone, boycott Thrifty Car Rental. They are not worth the disappointment when you depend on them, Heartbroken Mom in PA.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My husband and I made the unfortunate mistake of reserving a car at the Thrifty in St. Louis, MO in August 2018. Upon arrival to Thrifty, the agent checking us in was completely unprofessional. As I was giving her basic information to pull up my rental, she stopped and decided to "refuse" to rent to us. Apparently, she did not like the way I gave her information. Mind you, I said nothing outside what was necessary to answer her questions. Perhaps she was expecting a song and dance with every response. All we needed was to get our car and leave.

At one point during check in, she asked if I would be adding insurance at which point I said no, to which she replied "are you adding insurance?" about 2-3 more times, each time with a worse attitude. My understanding was whether I was adding Thrifty insurance which I was not. I was planning on using our own insurance. Yet, she kept repeating that statement over and over again, instead of asking if I would be using my own insurance. Clearly, she lacked training in customer service or she was trying to force me to add their insurance instead of using my own.

After she "refused" to rent to us, which I am surprised that an agent could do much less without any basis, the agent next to her decided to help us. We were helped by the other agent and were out in less than 10 minutes. The only reason I didn't leave was because my husband and I, both lawyers, were on a business trip and were in a hurry to leave since we had to drive 2 hours from St. Louis. When we walked outside to get the car, the people behind us in line approached us and expressed confusion as to why that agent had "refused" our rental. We will not be renting with Thrifty again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Worst rent a car center I have ever been to. We waited about 45 minutes for our "mid-sized SUV" then the lady sitting down handing out keys tells us if we want to wait for the "SUV" we would need to wait 30 more minutes. At the point I was exhausted and I just wanted to get out of there. We told her it's fine so we got a "standard car". I was concerned because we had prepaid for the gas since it was "cheaper" with them (Wrong. We found much cheaper gas within the 5 miles). We went back inside and told the front desk lady that we want to remove the charge for the prepaid gas since it was a different size car. She told us there was nothing she could do but the lady at the gate could help us. It took 15 more minutes for us to get the car, the weird thing was that people that got there after us were getting their cars before us (SUV, trucks & jeeps). The lady at the gate was really nice and made us laugh (she is a keeper).

Returning the car was a bit scary. We pulled up and waited for about 10 minutes but there wasn't anyone around (mind you it was about 8 pm and it was just us girls, two of us). I finally told her, "Let's park it here and go ask the front desk." Suddenly a guy ran up out of nowhere, I asked if it was fine where the car was and he said yes. He checked it out and everything was okay. We went to the front desk and asked when the shuttle was coming, he told us to wait and he should be coming. It took 15 minutes for him to show up (the driver was very nice and helpful). Honestly I came home and told my family members that I did not have a good experience. The sad part it was my first time renting a car from Thrifty and we do a lot of traveling so Never again!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

When I arrived to pick up the car I had reserved, I was informed by the Thrifty personnel behind the counter that Thrifty had oversold the SUV booking and had only 1 car that could fit 5 adults - A Dodge Charger. I had no choice to take the car being offered. It was raining heavily, overcast and dark. The next day when I awoke, the car was dry and it was sunny outside. I immediately noticed the screen had a small chip, which I dismissed as it was obviously there when I picked the car the day before. I used the car for the week and returned in the same condition I received. Thrifty proceeded to charge me almost $100.00 for a repair that their invoice showed cost them $35.00

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have tried to reserve a car using points with Thrifty for 2-3 months. I constantly am being told there is a computer problem using points. I am being told I have 4100 points but they are unable to rent me a car using them. I called today and was told the same story. I said I would like to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold and left there. If anyone else is having a problem maybe a class action suit would be appropriate. Dec 5 2018.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Just thought folks should know about the bad and good things that I experienced picking up my rental care yesterday at Tampa airport. I booked my rental on Priceline and had a great rate of $108/week for a mini van. Went to pick up the car around 3:15 December 4. I gave the agent a print out of my reservation information with the total price on it. The agent seemed efficient and friendly, and I felt like I got through in quick time. (No hassle about refueling, insurance, etc. as I always decline these.) He handed me my contract and I happened to glance at the price - it was MORE THAN DOUBLE the price I had on my reservation. I pointed this out to him and he said he COULDN'T change it, only the people at the pick up station in the garage could. I questioned him on this because it seemed ridiculous and he told me that if I didn't like the rate on the contract I could just cancel the whole thing.

OK - Part 2. Went to the garage to pick up the car. Handed them my contract and reservation and they were a bit surprised at the difference. 1) Because the agent hadn't verified the rate between the reservation information and the contract, and 2) because he certainly could have fixed it. Come to find out, 1) agent was on commission, customer service in the garage were not. Interesting. 2) I was told that if I had not caught the "error" and had taken the car and left the garage, I would have "accepted" the new rate and there would have been no way to change it. Now I am thinking the agent altered the rate hoping I would not catch it so he would get a better commission, seeing as how the customer service folks couldn't figure out he got the rate SO very wrong. (Final cost of the rental went from about $330 to over $760.)

It took the wonderful customer service people about 10 minutes to change my rate to the correct one. So, you have one employee who should be fired for what he did, changing the rate and refusing to fix it, and two employees who should be commended for they were kind and patient in fixing his mistake. I really dread to think how many people just walk out and get in the car without looking at the contract, as this guy lines his pockets.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Do NOT rent from these people! It was a disaster even finding the counter. Then I was charged over $90 to refuel a Jetta that still had 1/4 tank of gas in it! I may have paid $25 to refill. Unfortunately didn’t expect them to gauge me so I didn’t refill. Called to discuss and they were so rude! Never again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I went to Thrifty Car Rental a few days ago to get my rental that I prepaid for 2 weeks. This Thrifty Car Rental was at the airport (ok whatever) after looking for the place for over 30 minutes because the address they gave me on the voucher was to a car lot we finally found it inside the airport. When we got there they tried to charge me 345 more dollars because I’m 24 for a underage fee and said they couldn’t put my brother as the main driver because it was already done in advance. Sooo all together this would have been 916.00 for a 2 week car rental. No way. The guy also asked for my flight ticket coming back and I asked what flight ticket. He said oh yeah to use our service you need a flight ticket. So I asked well why wasn’t this asked for when I was paying for my flight online. I could’ve found another rental company. He had no words and didn’t let me get the car that I PAID for.

I contacted Economy Bookings who I booked the flight through and they said I didn’t have all the proper documentation but none of this was asked for when I was booking my flight so this means no refund and I’m out of 500 something dollars. So I will be getting a lawyer and beware of Economy Bookings and Thrifty Car Rental just go the old fashioned way to a normal rental place. By the way I will be contacting my lawyer!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Totally ripped off. 16 days in Disney Orlando. Paid for everything in advance. When picking the car up, asked if we wanted to keep the plate open for tolls. Sold to me as a ‘estimate’ and said that on the receipt. $128 paid. Only used 2 tolls going to the resort and same returning. That’s 4, and a couple more traveling down to Clearwater and back. No more than £15. Returned the car and say nav fine, with full tank, got the all clear. Asked about the return of the €100 plus, got told within 24hrs. Landed home at Gatwick and they’ve billed me the full $128. Sent me a email with duplicate receipt to one I got on paying. Only difference is the word ‘estimate’ has been removed. Cowboy company set up to rip you off!!! Do not use this company!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

First I must say that Thrifty did good and I have no complaints about their services. However, I do not understand that they work with Crédomatic BAC Costa Rica. When Thrifty delivered the car, they charged immediately the rent and on top of that a security deposit of $750,00. According them this was just a blockade which would be released on the day that I return the car. Although it showed in my account that the money was taken out of my account. So, when I returned the car I expected that the blockade would be released the same day.

Now 7 days after the return and my money is still not released. I never had this experience before and I will never give my credit card to Thrifty again. I do not understand that other customers of Thrifty did not complain. BAC Costa Rica and her Credomatic department just try to make some more interest during this period of time. My advice to all of you is: Give Thrifty an envelope with cash security deposit and insist that they give you this envelope back when you return the car. Pura Vida.

Thrifty Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information