Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

932 Thrifty Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have tried to reserve a car using points with Thrifty for 2-3 months. I constantly am being told there is a computer problem using points. I am being told I have 4100 points but they are unable to rent me a car using them. I called today and was told the same story. I said I would like to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold and left there. If anyone else is having a problem maybe a class action suit would be appropriate. Dec 5 2018.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Just thought folks should know about the bad and good things that I experienced picking up my rental care yesterday at Tampa airport. I booked my rental on Priceline and had a great rate of $108/week for a mini van. Went to pick up the car around 3:15 December 4. I gave the agent a print out of my reservation information with the total price on it. The agent seemed efficient and friendly, and I felt like I got through in quick time. (No hassle about refueling, insurance, etc. as I always decline these.) He handed me my contract and I happened to glance at the price - it was MORE THAN DOUBLE the price I had on my reservation. I pointed this out to him and he said he COULDN'T change it, only the people at the pick up station in the garage could. I questioned him on this because it seemed ridiculous and he told me that if I didn't like the rate on the contract I could just cancel the whole thing.

OK - Part 2. Went to the garage to pick up the car. Handed them my contract and reservation and they were a bit surprised at the difference. 1) Because the agent hadn't verified the rate between the reservation information and the contract, and 2) because he certainly could have fixed it. Come to find out, 1) agent was on commission, customer service in the garage were not. Interesting. 2) I was told that if I had not caught the "error" and had taken the car and left the garage, I would have "accepted" the new rate and there would have been no way to change it. Now I am thinking the agent altered the rate hoping I would not catch it so he would get a better commission, seeing as how the customer service folks couldn't figure out he got the rate SO very wrong. (Final cost of the rental went from about $330 to over $760.)

It took the wonderful customer service people about 10 minutes to change my rate to the correct one. So, you have one employee who should be fired for what he did, changing the rate and refusing to fix it, and two employees who should be commended for they were kind and patient in fixing his mistake. I really dread to think how many people just walk out and get in the car without looking at the contract, as this guy lines his pockets.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Do NOT rent from these people! It was a disaster even finding the counter. Then I was charged over $90 to refuel a Jetta that still had 1/4 tank of gas in it! I may have paid $25 to refill. Unfortunately didn’t expect them to gauge me so I didn’t refill. Called to discuss and they were so rude! Never again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I went to Thrifty Car Rental a few days ago to get my rental that I prepaid for 2 weeks. This Thrifty Car Rental was at the airport (ok whatever) after looking for the place for over 30 minutes because the address they gave me on the voucher was to a car lot we finally found it inside the airport. When we got there they tried to charge me 345 more dollars because I’m 24 for a underage fee and said they couldn’t put my brother as the main driver because it was already done in advance. Sooo all together this would have been 916.00 for a 2 week car rental. No way. The guy also asked for my flight ticket coming back and I asked what flight ticket. He said oh yeah to use our service you need a flight ticket. So I asked well why wasn’t this asked for when I was paying for my flight online. I could’ve found another rental company. He had no words and didn’t let me get the car that I PAID for.

I contacted Economy Bookings who I booked the flight through and they said I didn’t have all the proper documentation but none of this was asked for when I was booking my flight so this means no refund and I’m out of 500 something dollars. So I will be getting a lawyer and beware of Economy Bookings and Thrifty Car Rental just go the old fashioned way to a normal rental place. By the way I will be contacting my lawyer!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Totally ripped off. 16 days in Disney Orlando. Paid for everything in advance. When picking the car up, asked if we wanted to keep the plate open for tolls. Sold to me as a ‘estimate’ and said that on the receipt. $128 paid. Only used 2 tolls going to the resort and same returning. That’s 4, and a couple more traveling down to Clearwater and back. No more than £15. Returned the car and say nav fine, with full tank, got the all clear. Asked about the return of the €100 plus, got told within 24hrs. Landed home at Gatwick and they’ve billed me the full $128. Sent me a email with duplicate receipt to one I got on paying. Only difference is the word ‘estimate’ has been removed. Cowboy company set up to rip you off!!! Do not use this company!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar Rent A Car?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

First I must say that Thrifty did good and I have no complaints about their services. However, I do not understand that they work with Crédomatic BAC Costa Rica. When Thrifty delivered the car, they charged immediately the rent and on top of that a security deposit of $750,00. According them this was just a blockade which would be released on the day that I return the car. Although it showed in my account that the money was taken out of my account. So, when I returned the car I expected that the blockade would be released the same day.

Now 7 days after the return and my money is still not released. I never had this experience before and I will never give my credit card to Thrifty again. I do not understand that other customers of Thrifty did not complain. BAC Costa Rica and her Credomatic department just try to make some more interest during this period of time. My advice to all of you is: Give Thrifty an envelope with cash security deposit and insist that they give you this envelope back when you return the car. Pura Vida.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

They charged us deceptively in addition to the rental price - another $500 for all possible insurance. We have certainly rejected the additional insurance, and the proof is the following. We paid for the rent by American debit card. One of the benefits of American debit card is car rental insurance. The conditions of this insurance are much better than conditions, which Thrifty gives. Thus, by accepting Thrifty insurance we have received the worse conditions for a big price instead of better condition free. Is it sane? We both my wife and me told clearly to the cashier that we have insurance and do not need additional one, and he answered Yes. However, they do not trust us and believe him, despite of our two voices against his one. We are always liars and he is angel of truthfulness. In addition, they have charged us 120$ Toll charge, but we were even not informed that we have one, and we were not given a Plate pass. We paid cash on the tall roads.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I was not properly offered an option or explained the ONE pass toll reader. We are from a state where there are no tolls. I felt this was a backdoor sneak charge of the unknowledgeable. $12 a day for 2 weeks! I could easily avoided the tunnel and I was not told that it worked out of state so we paid the tolls as we went in NH. I have used Thrifty for a long time and lately they seem to only try to gouge their loyal users. I will be looking elsewhere for car. Yea they made a couple of hundred for nothing but lost a loyal customer who rents cars 10 times a more per year for weeks and longer.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I don't normally post reviews, but after the experience I had with Thrifty Car Rental last week, I feel compelled to warn everyone I know about them. Please do not rent a car from them if you can help it. Just pay the extra $30-40 it will cost for a rental somewhere else for the peace of mind that you won't need to deal with this company if you encounter any issues. They have zero customer service and zero integrity when it comes to doing the right thing ethically. In August we reserved a car online and paid for the rental in full ahead of time. I even signed up for their rewards program with the intention of using them again on a normal basis.

Last week we flew into our destination airport and went to the rental counter to get our car. We flew one way to our destination to pick up a new car we bought and were going to drive it back, so only had a one way flight into the airport. The customer service person (a term I use very loosely) at the rental counter asked us for our departing flight information and our credit card. We told them we were not flying out and presented our Debit/Visa card we paid for the rental with.

The agent advised us that we could not rent a car from them because we needed a major credit card. We travel frequently and rent cars from another rental company frequently and have never heard of such a thing. We don't normally use or carry credit cards and always use our Visa debit card for everything, and have never had any issues using it before.

The agent informed us this was a local policy of that airport. This was the first and only time we were told of this "policy". We had no warnings or advisement during the online rental process when we paid for the rental in full ahead of time. This woman did not care and told us she was refusing service to us. We tried telling her she was stranding us there. She just smiled and told us to "have a good day".

We tried to contact their customer service number thinking the girl at the rental counter was just a bad apple and they would do the right thing and just give us a refund since we paid in full ahead of time, we complied with our end of the agreement and was ready willing and able to fulfill our end of the rental. We figured that when they took into account that they refused to serve us based on a local, unwritten airport policy that we were never advised about before showing up, they would do the ethical thing of refunding our money. That was not the case.

We called the regular number you would use to make a reservation and you get right through to someone. But they tell you to call another number for refunds when you explain your situation. It took us almost a week to finally get ahold of someone at that number. After explaining to that person what happened, they advised us we would not get a refund because we violated terms of service within their 35 pages of fine print legal speak. They also advised my wife they were more than happy to keep our $125, even if it meant severing a relationship with us that would prove to earn them much more than that in the future. So, apparently this is their company motto and not just the one bad apple we thought we had at the rental counter. Please do yourself a favor and go elsewhere, it will save you time, money and frustration.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

DO NOT EVER RENT FROM THRIFTY OR HERTZ... I am completely let down by Thrifty/Hertz car rental services and how they handled my rental with them. First off I have been renting for 15 years from different companies because of my business. It's basically always the same thing... I show up and have a reservation and they ask me if I want to upgrade or get any additional insurance and I decline and we move on with our lives. But not at this place.

The salesperson was so incredibly pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer. He kept pushing and insisting that I should upgrade for $100 to a diesel because it would save so much money, and that the insurance I had wasn't good enough and he wouldn't let me take the car unless I got their insurance, and I had to add my wife as a driver if we were gonna use her card. And he said I should prepay for the gas and return it almost empty because that would be cheaper.

I got so fed up that I finally just said give me whatever so I can get on with my trip. Needless to say I didn't save more than $20 by upgrading to a diesel, my wife never once drove it as I knew she wouldn't, it cost me more money to bring it back without filling it up than if I had just filled it up, and they ran $2500 on the credit card instead of just putting a hold on it. I called and emailed several times to let them set it right and reprimand the salesperson. But Hertz said I signed for it so basically tough luck. DO NOT EVER RENT FROM THRIFTY OR HERTZ.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I rented a car including GPS at Thrifty's Moline, IL airport station. Upon arrival, I was informed that they had no GPS to give to me. I accepted that, but the price stayed the same. When I returned the car they insisted on me returning the GPS. It took a while, but then they agreed that all was ok. A few hours later they charged me 250 USD to my credit card and claim that I smoked in the car. In all my life I never touched a cigarette and the only one inside the car was me at all times. Complaining to their customer service, the company immediately reduced the charge by 50% while still insisting that I smoked in the car. The whole thing seems to be an easy way to rip off their customers.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The team at Thrifty at Kansas City International Airport is world class. My reservation is always ready when I arrive and the counter folks are the nicest people in the business. I travel extensively and Thrifty is by far my "go to" rental car provider.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My husband and I reserved a car in the airport in Puerto Rico. When we got there they told us they did not have any cars left and referred us to Hertz, who was more expensive. But the biggest complaint is that immediately after they told us that they did not have a car for us the 4 customers behind us that happened to be ** got a car. I did approached the clerk in the front desk (Jolian) to ask her how they had cars for them and not us and she was very nasty and rude.

After that I contacted the manager Jesus ** and it's been over a month and I am yet waiting to hear from him. I also contacted the customer relations when I got back to the mainland and after a few weeks their answer to my complaint was completely unrelated to the original complaint. I am in the midst of taking further action but meanwhile, be aware, they treat people depending on the color of their skin. A reservation means nothing to them. They do not care if you do not have a car once you get to a foreign land. DO NOT trust them with your rental reservation.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My husband and I recently rented a car from Thrifty from the Denver International Airport. Noticed a sign at check-in that said all CO tolls are automatically assessed via license plate number. We asked the desk agent how this works with a rental car and she advised that CO tolls don't take cash, but not to worry, all Thrifty vehicles have a toll pass and they simply pass the toll fee through to us. She didn't tell us anything about the $15 PER TOLL administration fee Thrifty would charge us on top of the toll fees. We received a bill from Thrifty for cost of the tolls $21.80 plus 5 administration fees totaling $75! Absolutely outrageous! When I called after receiving their notice their third party "rental fine" collection company advised that the admin fee was described in the fine print of the rental agreement and if we wanted to avoid it we should have contacted the Colorado Express Toll and driven there directly to purchase an Express Toll pass.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I prepaid a rental using a debit card. I arrived to pick up rental. The kiosk stated I needed to have a credit card. I stated because they took out money I assumed they would process it by holding 350 or 15% of my rental in my bank account. They showed me local rules although it should have been stated upon taking money off my account in the first place. The kiosk could not refund me. I called customer service, had communication issues several times. The last one from the (312) 843-5786. He stated they would not refund me due to not following the procedure and bringing a credit card. I stated because my debit card was accepted and that in the print on the website did not include California as one of those states. He said he did not care. And they had to hold the car. I am missing out on my mother's 60th bday due to this greedy company.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Thank you so much again! We had many issues because of lost documents and invalid Credit Cards, but the so very helpful rental car advisor, Pamela, worked with us through all those issues and found the greatest car for my sister and me! We would be lost without her, so thank you again for your services Pamela! You are the best! We highly recommend renting a car there!!! 10 Stars!??

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

So I recently rented a car through Thrifty, and went through Trivago or one of those sites to get the best deal. Like you'd expect, they give you a price per day and an estimated cost of the rental, which is a lot more than the per day charge, which is expected because of taxes, etc. I booked the car with my credit card, and got a confirmation from Thrifty. I picked up my rental at Thrifty, returned it to Thrifty, and got a bill from Thrifty which was in line with the price estimate from when I booked. I get the credit card bill, and lo and behold, I didn't rent a car from Thrifty after all. I apparently rented from CarTrawler, and Thrifty essentially charged me the same amount of the quoted rental for gas and taxes.

Now I've got a bill from CarTrawler and a bill from Thrifty, making my rental double the cost I expected. I was on the phone for 20 minutes with Thrifty, but "read the fine print" was pretty much the answer they gave. My wife just had a near identical experience with Dollar. AVOID DOLLAR, THRIFTY OR ANY OF THE RENTAL COMPANIES THAT DEAL THIS WAY.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Upon arrival I was not told they did not carry a jeep, given another car I had to figure out the controls. Error message of "maintenance needed" which they claimed "was normal" on dashboard. After an additional error message ("maintenance tire" appeared over the steering wheel I requested a fix of the problem. Told I had to sign form stating if they found damage to the tire, I would be responsible. I refused to sign and the rental car was taken back. The inconvenience was really intolerable as I was in town to celebrate my 50th high school reunion and spent most of my time worrying about this rental car.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

This is the second time that I have rented with Thrifty. This time we were in Los Angeles, I have to give them props. I stood in line for only about two minutes before I was at the counter picking up the car. The only issue I had was once we returned the car and waiting on the bus to take us to the terminal. Two buses pulled up to take a large group of us to the terminal, but only one driver would allow us to board the bus. The other rude driver would not allow anyone on his bus, or provide an explanation. He then watched as we all crammed into the other bus before he left with his empty bus. This guy is sorry and should not be dealing with your customers.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Arrived at Phoenix Sky Harbour after an 11 hour flight. I had a confirmation email showing the deposit I had paid and the amount outstanding. I was told that this information was irrelevant and there was a further amount to pay, a very large amount. I was traveling alone and felt I was being completely taken advantage of, at one point there were 3 men all telling me different things, I was tired and upset. I booked the car through the Thrifty website but according to the desk they do not allow direct bookings and they are all through an agent and that is the reason for the discrepancy? I did not get the car I had requested. I feel they were totally dishonest. I would not recommend them. I would never use them again. Dreadful service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

No matter how much you search online you will never find me giving a review like this about any place. This people lied to us and swindled us out of $183. The woman claimed it was just a "security deposit". She pointed out how the receipt said it was an "estimated" cost which would only be incurred if we damaged the vehicle. I pushed back and told her we don't need it, she was nasty and disgusting back to me. Turns out that this was was not a "security deposit". It was some ** insurance. We told her multiple times we don't need insurance since our credit card covers car rentals. She tried to sell it to us but I guess she just went ahead and lied about it. Of course, their customer support team didn't give a single crap. She didn't apologize or try to remedy the situation. What a bunch of nasty people. As someone who runs customer support organizations I was absolutely blown away.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When my mother died, my husband and I wanted to make sure that my young adult, niece and nephew would be able to attend their grandmother's funeral in North Carolina - so we decided we would drive from Rhode Island to make sure that happened. I made a reservation with Thrifty - asking to pick the car up at 9 pm. We requested a car large enough for 4 and was told a midsize would be suitable.

The only car available when we arrived was completely unacceptable. Cramped, uncomfortable and small. When I asked about making other arrangements with Thrifty. I was told that because there was the one car still available in my category, there was nothing they could do. They pointed out that it was late and all the other cars had been taken. I pointed out that I had reserved for that hour AND there were 5 other car rental companies at the next counters and if there was nothing Thrifty could do, I would simply have to void our contract and rent from another company. They said there was nothing they WOULD do. This was after asking the women at the counter to call a manager.

I walked 10 steps to the Budget counter and got a car that was exactly what I had asked for from Thrifty - for the same price. Thrifty, you had other cars available and yet you made an awful situation worse. Thank goodness there are other companies that do what you do, far more efficiently and much better. I was at a loss - both literally and figuratively that evening - and facing a 9 hour drive. The inefficiency of those "helping" me could not have been worse.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

WORST RENTAL CAR COMPANY EVER. Do not rent from them. While vacationing in Florida, I encountered unmanned toll booths where you toss change into a receptacle and I didn't happen to have any change. Too bad. Dollar loves this, though, because they'll try to charge your credit card hundreds of dollars after they pay about $3.00 in tolls. THEN, you don't discover this until your credit card refuses to pay these exorbitant fees. And it isn't until you go to rent another car about a year later that you learn you've been put on a 'Do Not Rent' list. Indefinitely. Don't rent from Dollar or Thrifty. In other words, don't use Hertz. Each rental car company is not an individual company. They are owned by Hertz. The best rental car experience I've had has consistently been Enterprise. They are also the only company that lets spouses both drive without charging a dumb, greedy fee for it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

This happened in Florida. They charge $9.99 processing fee for $1.00 each toll road, some of them I did pay at the automatic boots. Also one of the toll road only $0.60 they still charge $9.99 processing fee. During rental processing they did not mention anything like this or offer to rent transponder. Any of you still want to use this company I wish you good luck.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Horrible experience. Do not pre-pay for a car through Thrifty Car Rental. If you do not have a credit card and are using your debit card you could be denied a car. Why couldn’t they have let me know that before I travelled a thousand miles? I was stranded without transportation. Told me I had to go through CarTrawler to get my money back. Now they won’t give me all of my money back. It’s a rip-off.

Original review: July 30, 2018

After 3 terrible experiences I will never rent from Thrifty/Dollar ever again. I book cars for my company all the time and I had a reservation for one of my reps in St-John's Newfoundland, but the person booked in St-John New Brunswick. My rep landed and they had no more cars available. The entire province is sold out for a festival and they did nothing to accommodate me despite having made the mistake. So frustrated!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Do not rent from Thrifty, Dollar or Hertz. They are all the same company and all terrible customer service policies designed to extract extra money from you and add on ridiculously high charges. I inadvertently forgot to refuel as I was in a hurry. This is not so unusual but when I asked the return person to allow me to go get duke they directed me to the manager. They will not allow you to leave once you arrive at the garage. They charge 9.99 per gallon for this oversight and you may be trapped with this if you are in a rush. All of their fuel policies are designed to add value for them and take more of your money for little to nothing in return.

They also want to charge me $80 when I extended my rental. I called to extremes this and avoid a charge and this charge was not on the ticket I was given but hidden away on a page I did not sign and these are charges for which I had not agreed to pay. Another attempt to take money from paying clients and abuse them to raise income for the greedy corporate overlords.

Then I went to talk to the manager. Truly incompetent guy so I started recording him on my phone. Not sure if they have a policy on this but the guy refused to say anything once he knew he was being recorded, not even the name of his manager. He has a smug and arrogant smile on his face but refuses to do his job and service his customer. They want to charge me $723 for a two-week rental. Adding over $200 in unauthorized charges. I called corporate customer service and they don't seem to care much either. Not sure if this will get resolved but beware of companies with such low ratings. There is a reason.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Reserved and prepaid online (to save money) at IAD. Counter personnel were friendly enough but wouldn't use the debit card I had paid with. Went through rental procedure adding insurance, which I knew would add some additional cost. Was given a quote 4 times higher than prepaid amount. Changed options and was given a new lower quote and guarantee that was all I would pay. Service was good and friendly at pickup and return and car was fine. Get to looking at paperwork and don't see credit for prepay and ended up paying well over 3 times initial online price. Contacted customer service about an overcharge and got 'sorry for any misunderstanding but we have the papers with your signature and no adjustment will be made'. Obviously I'll never rent from them again and I'll inform the many people I know that rent cars to steer clear of them.

Original review: July 20, 2018

We rented a car from Raleigh Durham airport for 3 days and when we returned we had violation notices for non-payment of tolls. For a $9.18 toll charge we were charge $90 in administrative fees. No one ever told us that one we needed to bring our EZ pass and when we got the car the agent never told us that we needed to purchase the toll package or we would be charged these fees. When I called I was transferred to numerous rude representatives who were not helpful one bit and after an hour and 35 minutes I finally was able to talk to a supervisor who was not helpful at all and told me they would only reduce the fee to $45 and when charged it was actually $47.97. I have never dealt with such incompetence. I will never use Thrifty again and I will make sure I spread the word on their deception and horrible customer service. Shame on Thrifty!!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

When I went to pick up my rental that I had prepaid by debit, they denied me at the counter. They run a credit check and I have fair credit. So then they denied me a refund. No car, no refund. They do not disclose what their "acceptable" credit is anywhere on their site. It just says you must meet their criteria. Kind of a blind shot in the dark?! I will never rent from them again and I am passing the word on. They are NOT a good company.

Dollar Rent A Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Part of Hertz Global Holdings, Thrifty Rental Car has more than 1,000 locations in 77 countries. It focuses on serving cost-conscious consumers and business travelers.

• Best-rate guarantee: Renters may book on one travel site, only to find the same terms on another site at a lower price. When booking on the Thrifty website, the absolute lowest price on all rentals is guaranteed.

• Airline loyalty program: Thrifty Rental Car partners with airline rewards programs to offer miles or points for every rental.

• First-time rental guide: The first-time rental guide on the Thrifty Car Rental website walks customers through how to make a reservation and what to expect.

• Contact: Call or email Thrifty Rental Car during normal business hours for fast service, or use its urgent contact line in the event of an emergency.

• Loyalty program: Blue Chip Rewards loyalty program comes with benefits like shorter lines, faster reservations, faster drop-off services and members-only discount offers.

• Get more for less: Pay for a compact car rental and get something larger with the Wild Card rental. Any reservation with a Wild Card is guaranteed at least a compact car, but it may be upgraded at no additional charge.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, temporary workers and those with cars in repairs.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information