3.6/5 (623 ratings)

About Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: April 27, 2022

I was lied to when I rented my car. I don’t rent cars often so I don’t know the best options. When the lady was having me sign my paperwork she never ask me about gas options. When I ask her what was the best financial savings in gas options she told me just to bring the car back as empty as possible and flashed paperwork for me to sign. She was super rude and wanted me out of her window no doubt. After I returned the car I found out they charged me $140 for gas. I called and spoke with two different individuals and they told me I was out of luck cause I had signed the paperwork. It didn’t matter that she lied to me at all. They had absolutely no intention of returning the money they cheated from me from their employee lying to me or even not willing to investigate why she would have told me the wrong information. I will never ever rent from them again and I highly recommend that no one else do either.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I booked our rental through Expedia. We requested a Jeep Wrangler. When we landed in Miami we checked in at the desk and denied the Loss Damage Coverage. When we got to the garage we were told they did not have any Wranglers available, even though it was early in the day. They offered a small convertible, which would not work with our luggage and our two children. Then they offered an SUV that reeked of smoke. They basically ignored us after the first car and we had to track them down and wait each time. They finally offered us a mid-size SUV and told us it was a better option than the Wrangler, anyway.

After we drove away we realized the car was in very bad shape. The tires were bald, the transmission kept slipping, etc. When we got home and saw the charges, we were charged for the Loss Damage Coverage even though we declined it. I called customer service to discuss the whole experience and they were completely rude to me. They did not care about my experience at all. I will never rent from this company again.

Original review: April 16, 2022

We reserved a vehicle online through Priceline. They did not not have the type of car that I reserved/paid for (VW or similar). So they downgraded me and placed me into small compact. I told them NO that I'm not taking this type of car. The WORST customer service experience EVER, especially coming from a MANAGER "** male." SUPER rude/obnoxious. Very unprofessional. So I left the car and told him to keep the money. DO NOT USE THRIFTY AT PBI.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I rented a car at Thrifty Car rental at the airport in Johannesburg South Africa. I had a reservation and confirmation through Priceline. When I got to the counter they said I didn’t have a reservation even though I showed them the correspondence Priceline sent me. The gentleman at the counter diverted my attention and then skimmed my credit card. They eventually rented me a car at double the price confirmed by Priceline. Then I had to deal with the hacked credit card by canceling it because of fraud as they were using it to rent cars at another agency and other charges. I have tried contacting Thrifty but they are not responding. Don’t use any third party vendors and watch your credit card in SA as this is the 2nd time this happened at rental car companies in South Africa.

Original review: April 11, 2022

They committing fraud against decent people. I give them my card and they keep sending me tool bills. They just send it to collection. Come on Consumer Affairs. Come on. You got to stop this company. You got to stop them!!

Original review: April 1, 2022

Agent did not speak good English, not helpful. We were charged for toll fee of 50 dollars. Never went past a toll! Charged 10 dollars a gallon for gas!! Why weren't we told we should fill it before returning it or it would be that much. What should have been 40 to 45 dollars a day ended up being over a hundred a day!!! What the heck is concession charge??? Very upset!! Lousy service and explanation. WILL NOT USE AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 1, 2022

We booked a small compact car so we could go between New Orleans and Biloxi. When we arrived, we were told they only had one car left. It was a Suburban. This cost us a great deal in gas and was very disappointing having to settle on such a large vehicle when the smallest vehicle was booked. They acted like it was an upgrade, but to us it just cost us extra money.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I was picking up my car at Thrifty in Orlando Intl Airport on 3/25 and I was on line for 2 hours after a long flight in. Once I got closer to the counter, I noticed many of the agents had no mask on. I asked the person taking car of me why so many of you don't have a mask on and she said our manager doesn't require it. I said but isn't it a policy of the airport? She was very pushy trying to add insurance and toll pass. I asked for the manager's name and she said Jose. I was going to approach him but he was screaming at a customer on the line. I will try Avis or Alamo next time.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Rose was very professional and helpful. She was extremely intuitive and caring. I will be doing business again with this company because of her. Definitely recommend this service to anybody looking to rent a vehicle.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Rented suv and drove exactly 86 miles and was charged $68.28 FOR GAS UPON RETURN. A suv with 20 miles per gallon would burn 4 gallons max. Please Beware and fill up your own gas at all times. These people are subsoil.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Rented a car at the airport MSP, guy told me that it was “4WD.” I assumed he meant AWD, it was neither. Told me I needed to pick an insurance policy, I have my own full coverage but he insisted. I paid more for the insurance I never needed than for the car and customer service just said “well, you signed it, no refunds.” Cool, quality business ethics. Corner me after a long flight and insist I must buy your ridiculously priced policy.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I do not recommend Thrifty based on our experience with them. They closed their counter and sent us to another rental place to get our car which made everything take longer....3 hrs to wait to be exact and then we got an invoice in the mail for 8.80 in tolls and 89.91 in Thrifty fees. Absolutely ridiculous!!

Original review: March 3, 2022

Terrible service. Very little staff. The wait to be served is more than 2 hours in line. I was supposed to pick up the car at 1:00 am and at 2:45 am there are still more than 40 people in front of me to be served.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I went through RCI and booked a rental car a month or so in advance. I even prepaid for the rental. I took a flight later in the day unknown to me that Thrifty doesn't honor their reservations. When I arrived (earlier than indicated on my reservation) I was advised that there were no cars available they had sold out. To my surprise it was over 20 people waiting with a similar problem. So why does thrifty take reservations and not have cars available? So now I went to the other rental places and the same thing or double the price. Did I say my flight landed at 11 pm so now I have to spend additional money on an Uber or Lyft. If going out of town stick with the more reputable companies.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

-5 Stars. This is a major scam rental car company which rips off tourists. They promise a cheap deal but they scam you out of the deposit. They told me it takes a month for the deposit to be refunded. After a month the deposit was not refunded. I called and inquired. They told me it was refunded. I had to dispute the charge with my back and they denied the dispute and we came to an agreement of a lesser amount than the deposit and still they did not return the money. My bank account got closed cause of this and they did not even respond to my email months ago to send a check in return. I have contacted lawyers. Do not rent from these guys. I'm still owed over $600 by these crooks after over a year!!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

Thrifty Car Rental Tampa international Airport on January 9, 2022. Declined insurance charge of $574.38 since I have my own insurance, but agent at counter at Tampa Airport processed it in any way. I didn't realize it until I had already left the lot with the car and reached my destination in Clearwater Florida. I telephoned customer service immediately and was told to call back when I returned the car and a credit would be issued. Four days later I received an email confirming the insurance charges. I telephoned customer service and I was told to go to the location I rented the car at. I told the agent I was unable to drive back to the airport being I was on the other side of the state. She said that she was unable to help me out in reference to the insurance and the fuel charge that I had declined with the agent at the airport.

On January 15 I returned the car rental at Tampa Airport and inquired about the $574.38 charges for insurance the agent said that I had signed the contract and that there was nothing she was able to do anything for me. I told her I called the company and they told me that it could be cleared up when I return the car. I telephoned corporate about my complaint and they told me I had signed the contract. Once again I told her I had declined insurance since I had my own. "There is nothing else I can do for you," said the agent. STAY AWAY from Thrifty! Make sure you read the contract before singing it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Declined insurance charge of $237.93 but girl at counter at Orlando Airport put it in any way. I didn’t realize it until I had already left the lot with the car. I called customer service immediately and was told to call back when I returned the car and a credit would be issued. Upon return the girl at customer service said they couldn’t credit my acct. I e-mailed the corporate complaint section and 2 weeks later received an answer stating they would not give my credit because I signed the contract. STAY AWAY from Thrifty!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I landed late at night in Orlando Florida. I accepted the collision insurance which they talked me into. My insurance company would have covered it. They added and charge a couple of hundred dollars and a premium roadside assistance. I don’t need that. I have platinum AAA. BEWARE. READ BEFORE YOU SIGN.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

On February 9, 2022 I rented a Full size Nissan Altima at the Thrifty location at the Southwest Florida International Airport in Ft Meyers (RSW). On the evening of February 13, 2022 as I was refilling the gas in Naples, Florida, the car would not start. The dashboard message indicated that the key fob battery was depleted. This was the start of a very poor customer experience.

I called the Thrifty 24 hour road side assistance number. The operator said they would send a Tow truck and a Lyft car to drive me back to the Fort Meyers Airport (30 miles away) to pick up a replacement car. The operator apparently had no clue as to the distance involved. Instead, we asked for a Lyft ride to our hotel, which we arrived at 12:30 am.

As instructed, we left the car unlocked at the gas station with the key under the passenger side mat. Needless to say, this experience was very stressful. The operator on the line was very surly when we complained about having to retrieve a new car from a location 30 miles away at what was now approaching midnight. They should have delivered the car to the location where we got stuck with the Thrifty rental.

While I was sleeping that night, I got a voice mail from the AAA tow truck driver inquiring about where the key fob was. I left it under the passenger side seat as instructed by the 25 Hour Road service operator. I did not answer this call as I was sleeping. At 1:46 am on Monday February 14th, I received a text message that the road service was complete.

For the past two days, I have received two additional text messages threads from Thrifty Roadside saying the road service is on the way and that the road service is complete. Very confusing! I called the customer service number on February 14th to ask for a refund of our rental fee. They informed me that nothing could be done until the car was returned to the rental location… and that they did not know where the car was. I have followed up with multiple calls since and received the same answer.

This morning I got a call from Hertz Vehicle Control. They left me a very threatening voice mail message saying it is urgent that I return the vehicle today to avoid repossession at my expense and permanent suspension of my rental privileges. Unbelievable since the vehicle has been possessed by Thrifty since it was towed on February 13th. It is obvious that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing and that the customer is left holding the bag.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I had a death in my family and needed a rental car to get to the funeral which was far away from my residence. I booked the reservation online which came to $152.02. I arrived at counter and explained that my reservation is the same as I booked it and no add ons. I was stressed about arriving at the funeral on time. I signed not realizing that I was charged over $30 more for my rental. My only concern at the time was getting across town to my aunt's funeral. While waiting I saw that my arrival time to the funeral will be late.

Now I was really stressed because I had to MC a part of the wake. I signed and left and later realized I was charged $189. Which included insurance for car and all other coverages which I didn’t ask for. The agent never asked me if I wanted more than the coverage to protect the car. Again I only wanted the reservation I booked to protect the car. I went to counter to dispute and was turned away on 1/16/22. I was told I signed so that’s it. 2 weeks prior I was charged 10 dollars more 2 weeks prior on another rental which I never got refund back for that. I will never use this company again. I feel that I was charged on purpose to make more money.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Thrifty Rental Car Service need to invest in their employees' training and development; particularly Management. The night shift manager assigned to Denver, Colorado's Airport location needs Cultural Diversity, Customer Service, Conflict Resolution, Ethics, and Frontline Leadership training, just to name a few. This manager is the most unprofessional individual I've ever come across all my years of renting cars. This "manager" started yelling and slammed his hand on the desk trying to intimidate me and my family. Simply because we wanted to ratify the overpayment issue. He could not contain his composure in front of staff and customers. I questioned would we have gotten the same treatment if we were not **.

The discuss in this man eyes when we told him we were not leave made him nearly jump the counter at us; his staff had to hold him back. When realized we weren't getting anywhere this irate manager, we proceeded to leave and get on the shuttle only to be told that the "manager" said we cannot ride the shuttle. We needed to find another ride to the airport. We had to call the police to help deescalate the situation. Fortunately, the Colorado Police Department was so kind to take us to the airport and help avoid us from missing our flight. Thank you Colorado Police Department!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I reserved my car reservation through AAA for a Thrifty/Dollar car rental in Tampa, FL. My car was a Hyundai Elantra that has about a 14 gallon tank and I was renting it for 3 days, driving to Zephyrhills. I was given the option to pay for gas instead of having to fill up the tank and it sounded like a good idea. However, I wasn't told that I was actually prepaying for a full tank of gas, no matter how much I used. There's no way I would have done that, considering I wasn't going far and wouldn't be using the car once I reached my destination. I've paid for gas before and they have always only charged for what I used at the airport price per gallon. I also wasn't shown the bill; it was emailed to me after I left the airport. The additional charge was $52.49!

When I brought the car back (only 1/4 tank was used), I tried to talk to the manager. He wouldn't budge. I came home and called them; they kept me on the phone for almost 1/2 hour and kept putting me on hold. When they'd return to the conversation, they'd relay back incorrect name, address, rental record#, etc. They were clearly trying to give me the runaround on the phone too. I then called AAA and Cori contacted them to no avail. They only said that they agreed that all information should be given at the counter and would educate their associates. Never again will I rent from Thrifty/Dollar because of the poor way they handle complaints.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Can't express enough how awful and unethical this company is. They totally scammed me. I had made a reservation through a third-party service (Hotwire) and the guy at the counter in Atlanta went into the usual upgrade song and dance. I usually just decline, but in this case I needed a little extra space, so I listened. The guy showed me a number on his screen: $769. He represented that would be the total I'd pay on what was originally a $560 reservation. I thought $200 more was doable. But no! The upgrade was actually $769 ON TOP OF the original $560—in other words, more than double what I had already paid. When I figured out later what happened, I demanded they make good on an obviously deceptive transaction. They grudgingly (after hours of my time and effort) refunded half of the $769, but they wouldn't honor my request to refund everything except the upgrade I was told I was paying for. All I can say is: Lesson learned. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I ordered a rental online through Thrifty. Upon arriving at the Airport I was offered an upgrade from the $53/day “Luxury Car” that I already reserved to an Infiniti, which usually goes for $110/day but he could get it to me for $75/day, so it made sense to pay an extra $22/day for more comfort. Much to my dismay, when I went to return the car I got charged 3 days at $53/day for the original rental (that I never drove), then I got charged another 3 days at $75/day for the upgrade, so it cost me $516 to rent a beat-up Infiniti QX60 for 3 days!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I rented the car on-line for, I showed the paperwork to confirm the car and the price, signed for the car - no other price was shown or given- and as on my way.

Later I was looking at my cc charges and saw that they had charged me an extra $415.00. Toll charges?? Which they letter removed. Extra fees and insurances I never agreed. When you sign the cc pad they don't show a total and they said I had signed for and agreed to everything.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I left my prescription Ray-Ban sunglasses in the passenger side door of our rental car. These are obviously no good to anyone else as have a prescription. No one ever responded to my lost report and despite frequently contacting the main office by phone, they were apparently unable to communicate directly with the Toronto Pearson airport location where my car was returned and never replied to multiple direct emails to this location. There is absolutely no way they didn’t find them and I think it’s appalling they were obviously stolen and didn’t even bother to contact me. I will never rent a car from them again for this reason.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Ensure that you take a picture when getting the car and when returning. The charged my card for gas when I already put gas in the car. I called and emailed several times however no one was able to assist!! Now I have to contact my bank for the refund!! Save yourself the head and do not rent a car from them!!!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Worst Car rental company ever!! Not only did Thrifty not have the vehicle that I reserved and pre-paid for a week before, but then failed to refund my money!! I ended up having to rent a car through Budget after they left my son and I stranded at midnight at the airport with no car, which cost me $120+ more!! Then when I got back home and saw they still had not refunded me, I dispute the charge on my Credit card, which was initially reversed. Now, however Thrifty "lied" and indicated to my credit card co., that I did get a car from them. This is forcing me to have file a case in small claims court because of this plus the aggravation!! Don't do Business with THRIFTY Car Rental!!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I was overcharged for one extra day for being late to return the vehicle. They misrecorded the time being pm instead of am. The actual invoice and receipt were not provided. You could only see how much they charged from your credit statement. Cars are not well maintained. I had a flat tire on the second day of the rental. I wasted half day to go for an exchange of another car. At their rental office, there was another renter with the same nightmare. I was charged of one day rent for tire repair. Was it fair?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

The process of renting the car itself is simple and straightforward. However if you happen to unknowingly travel along a toll road instead of simply charging the fine to your card which they have on file, they will tack on a fee 4 times the cost of the toll and wait several days before mailing a notice that you have to pay an exorbitant fee via a tedious online interface. Will be explicitly looking for this in the future and this has soured my opinion of this company as it appears a deceitful way to skim money off renters.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information