3.6/5 (631 ratings)

About Thrifty Car Rental

Thrifty Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thrifty Car Rental?

Original review: June 25, 2022

I got caught up in the Cancelled Flight weekend on June 17. I had booked a rental car from Thrifty using Orbitz for 6 nights June 17-23. I contacted Thrifty and told them My flight got cancelled and I was not going to be able to pick up my car on the 17th. I was not going to arrive until June 19th and would now only need the car for 4 nights instead of 6 nights. They were going to charge me $200 more than what I was going to pay them for 6 nights. The lady did not care that my flight got cancelled and was very RUDE. NEVER USE THRIFTY!

Original review: June 24, 2022

We reserved a car back in February for pickup SFO last week. Was supposed to be mid-size getting 33MPG (est) and got a small SUV (compact lol) that wound up getting like 15MPG based on miles driven and gas purchased. (Bought the full tank which should have provided 375 miles per the car details and had to put $60 in it to keep from running out having driven only 302 miles!!.)

Reserved on Priceline and actual taxes paid were $45 more than on reservation. (Not counting fuel purchase Option,) and then given how absolutely crazy they were at pickup they rushed my wife thru and snuck the $150 CDW past her that she declined. OK, so not counting the CDW she should have caught they added $105 to the bill. A car reserved for about $355 cost us over $610 not counting the fuel. Exchanged several emails with "Ben" at customer service who of course held the company line and said "no credit for you!" Never again. Hertz has become just the the latest in companies that tossed their outstanding customer service out the window to hire cheap agents and ** the customers who have no recourse. They're like insurance companies that just deny everything and write off customers to save the cash flow,

Original review: June 20, 2022

Please DO NOT rent with Thrifty from the Palm Springs Airport, they will try to scam you! We rented a mid-size car for 6 days in late April online prior to arriving in Palm Springs, which we paid for in advance. When we got to the Thrifty agency to pick up our car, the Thrifty Representative said he’d be able to get us a better deal than what we received online. I told him as long as I wasn’t paying more than the original price that I’ve already paid that we would be more than happy to get a better price. He said that my original amount that I paid would be refunded on my credit card and I would just have to sign off on the new price for the rental amount.

When I wasn’t seeing the original amount refunded on my credit card, I contacted the Palm Springs Thrifty agency and told them that I wasn’t seeing a refund on my credit card that I was promised. The Representative said that the amount that I signed off on was IN ADDITION to what I already paid since the car was “upgraded” and that I signed the amount to pay the additional fees. This was an outright LIE from the Thrifty representative so he could upsell a car to us but disguise it as a “better deal” since I wouldn’t be able to see my credit card not being reimbursed until after we left. I SPECIFICALLY said I didn’t want to pay anything above the original price and he said that I wouldn’t be and this was a better deal. Please DO NOT support this type of shady business practice or at least be aware of them trying to “give you a better deal” when you pick up your car and scamming you of additional money. They have lost a customer and I hope they lose more since this was such a dishonest way to make an extra buck.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I booked small car from Dubai airport, when I returned car they discovered scratch, they put me in very narrow corner to sign and pay because I want to get my flight. I called nobody answer, email nobody replied, main branch also no reply. The charged me the tolls three times, with no reason. Just take amount from my account without any more information. DON'T TAKE CAR FROM THEM EVER.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I confirmed a Toyota Corolla for a trip in May 2 weeks. When I got to Sacramento Airport Thrifty did not have any Corollas. They had 2 for upgrade. I picked a Taurus. They ended up charging me for the Corolla at $1255 and the Taurus at $1776! After several phone calls they credited me just $375 for the Taurus upgrade not all of the other $1400 worth of stuff.

Original review: June 13, 2022

This local company is rude and have 0% customer service. I had a reservation and have used them many times before. My valid license would not 'scan' on their machine and they then refused to rent a car to me and would make no accommodations to override or work with me at all. So I had everything they requested (valid DL, reservation, even paid up front) but they not only left me stranded at the airport as no one else had any cars, they acted as if I had done something wrong and blew me off. Thrifty corporate has no control over these local owners so there is nothing a customer can do. AVOID THE MYRTLE BEACH AIRPORT THRIFTY LOCATION. Your loyalty means nothing to them.

Original review: June 10, 2022

If I could give them zero stars, I would. They charge me twice the amount they said they would. Charge me for a toll I paid timely and gave me six days to pay it, over a weekend, so really 4 business days. They lied to me at the ticket counter and charge me for a whole tank of gas instead of just what I used and charged me twice the amount for the low grades insurance I had. DO NOT use Thrifty.

Original review: June 10, 2022

This is the worst company EVER on planet earth. They try to get you with the lowest price but trust me, it is the MOST expensive rental car company. They hit you with fraudulent charges (such as administrative processing fee etc) and shot my bill up by more than 200$ for the 3 day trip. The $200 was fraudulent billing. I am having to spend time with the card companies

Original review: June 8, 2022

Rental Agreement number available, Dates: 5/19/22-5/25/22. Boston/Logan Turn in: Hartford/Bradley. 30 minute line within Logan. Only one agent and she was dressed in Hertz livery. Requested and priced a full size car. Garage had none available and best/biggest available was Nissan Rogue. (Mission was a college graduation in Maine and a high school graduation in Connecticut, so size was important as well as connectivity). Car was not equipped with Apple Car Play. During adjustment of rear view mirror in Boston rush hour traffic, the rear view mirror came off in my hand. Request for refund to reflect having to make-do with the much smaller, ill-equipped replacement vehicle denied by Thrifty, who responded that the Rogue was priced higher than a full sized car. Indeed.

Original review: May 28, 2022

This is the worst car rental experience I've ever had. The company severely booked on Memorial day weekend at ATL airport. It took over two hours to get through the line to pay for my deposit on my reservation, and almost another three hours to actually get the car. On top of the unacceptable wait times, the staff and management on duty were incredibly rude during the whole experience. They were running a policy of if you're not there and ready when they call your name when your car is ready, no matter how long you have waited or what the reason you either aren't there or didn't hear them call your name is, they skip you and you have to potentially waiting another hour or two for another car. On top of that, they hit me with extra fees that I was not made aware of until after they had already charged my card. I will NEVER rent a car with this business again

Original review: May 23, 2022

I rented car from Thrifty at Orlando Airport for 2 weeks. After driving about 4 hours a red light flashed saying to have vehicle inspected. I called and was told don't worry about it! Another day the check engine light came on so I called again, same response! Eventually the passenger seat alarm flashed and chimed with nothing in the seat. The cruise control and the GPS worked intermittently flashing different screens. I called once again for a replacement vehicle and was told to drive 1 1/2 hours to Augusta Airport and go to the Hertz Rental booth?? I asked why not Thrifty and the young lady said, "That's what you have to do!" Hmmm.

OK I make the truck to Augusta. I go to Hertz and explain my situation, he refers me to Thrifty two booths down. I go to Thrifty and the lady said they couldn't switch out the car because the Thrifty in Orlando Is Corporate owned and they aren't. I demanded they call and get it taken care of. She says, "Even if we could we don't have any cars available." I said, "I just parked in your rental lot and there are 27 clean Thrifty cars sitting there." Still wouldn't do anything. I called roadside assistance and explained and was told unless the car was unrivaled they could do nothing. I was driving in pouring rain one day and the car was hydroplaning bad even at 40 mph. Everyone was passing me. I got up the next morning to leave my hotel and as I approached the car I noticed the front tires were bald below the wear bars and terribly dry rotted. Now I call again to say the car is not safe to drive. "I want you to bring me another car." Same story.. "We can't!"

Upon returning the VW Jetta to Thrifty the day of departure I told the Thrifty guy at the drop off about the issues and that it's not safe to drive due to the numerous issues.. I had a 5 hourglass over so I'm in no hurry. I walk away and sat down where I can see the car.. I watch them prep the car and rent it out to another unsuspecting customer..I go to the Thrifty booth and tell them they are sending out an unsafe car. They totally blew me off and out the car went. I have pictures of the gauges, dash warning lights and the front bald tires. I have called corporate with no satisfaction and have looked everywhere for a Customer Service. Finally having found one and called. They didn't care.. I honestly hope no one was injured after I returned the car.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Let me start out by saying that Thrifty sent me a survey, which I took the time to answer (giving them low marks); they responded with a cookie-cutter reply that they were sorry they did not exceed my expectations. How is that for being glad-handed? I wrote them back and asked if they could make good on the money they cheated me out of. No reply. I wrote back and asked if they were going to reply. No reply. So, I am writing this.

Through Travelocity, I reserved a luxury car with Thrifty, "Chrysler 300 or similar". When I arrived to pick it up, they told me they did not have one but would put me in a compact car--at $25 a day MORE. I was out of town, an infrequent traveler, and had already waited in line for 45 minutes. I should have put up more of a fight, but I thought, "Well, if they don't have one, they don't have one...so what's the point of arguing?" So I wound up paying about $450 over what I had budgeted.

On the receipt I am uploading, it only shows the $454.99 (listed as an "UPGRADE" fee plus taxes, etc). The amount I had paid Travelocity is not on this receipt. This is the amount I was cheated out of. Thrifty ripped me off, and showed me no courtesy in addressing my concerns. My advice? Do not trust, or do business, with Thrifty. You will be sorry, if you do.

Original review: May 13, 2022

We travel around the US twice a year and we select different airlines, rental car companies, hotels etc to see which best fits our needs. Needless to say, Thrifty Car Rental is by far the WORST company we have experience thus far. Hertz has been #1. We typically will take the shortest routes on our adventures to save some time, even if we have to pay tolls. We are Floridians so tolls are nothing new to us. We pay the ones we can, but the ones that are billed are typically taken care by the rental company however, not Thrify! Not only do they send YOU the bill they also include hellacious admin fees... $25 per toll.... are you kidding me!

We will NEVER use thrifty as our rental choice again. We also had to leave keys with someone we had no clue was at 4:30am as whoever was suppose to be there wasn't. We only left with this person as others that were arriving were doing the same. Had to park on the side of the road and walk around gates to get to the bus to return to the airport. HORRIBLE service!

Original review: May 9, 2022

Returned my car rental at the Atlanta, Georgia Airport with a full tank of gas. I was sent an e-receipt with a charge for 1 gallon of gas! I took a picture of the dashboard with my gas tank full and the odometer. The odometer reading matched my return mileage. The car was never taken to a station for 1 gallon of gas! I was outraged by Thrifty's scam and would never recommend this car rental company to anyone! They bank on people dismissing a 1 gallon charge at $9.99 a gallon. All of those gallons add up to hundreds and thousands of dollars. SHAME ON THRIFTY!

Original review: May 8, 2022

Made and paid for midsize reservation for AUS airport pick up on 4/30. They offered subcompact car on the spot. Company offers cheap rental price and did not fulfilled its promise. Terrible company to deal with. Do not try this rental car company!

Original review: May 6, 2022

Our experience with this company is poor. They offer relatively low rental prices, but they charge super high-cost insurance. Besides, they take a 200 $ deposit, which they promised to return after (I didn't understand why they took it if we had all covering insurance, but now I get it...) but they send bills for cleaning 150 $ + taxes, plus some kind of other services. Basically, they steal 200 $. I honestly offer to avoid this company...

Original review: April 27, 2022

I was lied to when I rented my car. I don’t rent cars often so I don’t know the best options. When the lady was having me sign my paperwork she never ask me about gas options. When I ask her what was the best financial savings in gas options she told me just to bring the car back as empty as possible and flashed paperwork for me to sign. She was super rude and wanted me out of her window no doubt. After I returned the car I found out they charged me $140 for gas. I called and spoke with two different individuals and they told me I was out of luck cause I had signed the paperwork. It didn’t matter that she lied to me at all. They had absolutely no intention of returning the money they cheated from me from their employee lying to me or even not willing to investigate why she would have told me the wrong information. I will never ever rent from them again and I highly recommend that no one else do either.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I booked our rental through Expedia. We requested a Jeep Wrangler. When we landed in Miami we checked in at the desk and denied the Loss Damage Coverage. When we got to the garage we were told they did not have any Wranglers available, even though it was early in the day. They offered a small convertible, which would not work with our luggage and our two children. Then they offered an SUV that reeked of smoke. They basically ignored us after the first car and we had to track them down and wait each time. They finally offered us a mid-size SUV and told us it was a better option than the Wrangler, anyway.

After we drove away we realized the car was in very bad shape. The tires were bald, the transmission kept slipping, etc. When we got home and saw the charges, we were charged for the Loss Damage Coverage even though we declined it. I called customer service to discuss the whole experience and they were completely rude to me. They did not care about my experience at all. I will never rent from this company again.

Original review: April 16, 2022

We reserved a vehicle online through Priceline. They did not not have the type of car that I reserved/paid for (VW or similar). So they downgraded me and placed me into small compact. I told them NO that I'm not taking this type of car. The WORST customer service experience EVER, especially coming from a MANAGER "** male." SUPER rude/obnoxious. Very unprofessional. So I left the car and told him to keep the money. DO NOT USE THRIFTY AT PBI.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I rented a car at Thrifty Car rental at the airport in Johannesburg South Africa. I had a reservation and confirmation through Priceline. When I got to the counter they said I didn’t have a reservation even though I showed them the correspondence Priceline sent me. The gentleman at the counter diverted my attention and then skimmed my credit card. They eventually rented me a car at double the price confirmed by Priceline. Then I had to deal with the hacked credit card by canceling it because of fraud as they were using it to rent cars at another agency and other charges. I have tried contacting Thrifty but they are not responding. Don’t use any third party vendors and watch your credit card in SA as this is the 2nd time this happened at rental car companies in South Africa.

Original review: April 11, 2022

They committing fraud against decent people. I give them my card and they keep sending me tool bills. They just send it to collection. Come on Consumer Affairs. Come on. You got to stop this company. You got to stop them!!

Original review: April 1, 2022

Agent did not speak good English, not helpful. We were charged for toll fee of 50 dollars. Never went past a toll! Charged 10 dollars a gallon for gas!! Why weren't we told we should fill it before returning it or it would be that much. What should have been 40 to 45 dollars a day ended up being over a hundred a day!!! What the heck is concession charge??? Very upset!! Lousy service and explanation. WILL NOT USE AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 1, 2022

We booked a small compact car so we could go between New Orleans and Biloxi. When we arrived, we were told they only had one car left. It was a Suburban. This cost us a great deal in gas and was very disappointing having to settle on such a large vehicle when the smallest vehicle was booked. They acted like it was an upgrade, but to us it just cost us extra money.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I was picking up my car at Thrifty in Orlando Intl Airport on 3/25 and I was on line for 2 hours after a long flight in. Once I got closer to the counter, I noticed many of the agents had no mask on. I asked the person taking car of me why so many of you don't have a mask on and she said our manager doesn't require it. I said but isn't it a policy of the airport? She was very pushy trying to add insurance and toll pass. I asked for the manager's name and she said Jose. I was going to approach him but he was screaming at a customer on the line. I will try Avis or Alamo next time.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Rose was very professional and helpful. She was extremely intuitive and caring. I will be doing business again with this company because of her. Definitely recommend this service to anybody looking to rent a vehicle.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Rented suv and drove exactly 86 miles and was charged $68.28 FOR GAS UPON RETURN. A suv with 20 miles per gallon would burn 4 gallons max. Please Beware and fill up your own gas at all times. These people are subsoil.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Rented a car at the airport MSP, guy told me that it was “4WD.” I assumed he meant AWD, it was neither. Told me I needed to pick an insurance policy, I have my own full coverage but he insisted. I paid more for the insurance I never needed than for the car and customer service just said “well, you signed it, no refunds.” Cool, quality business ethics. Corner me after a long flight and insist I must buy your ridiculously priced policy.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I do not recommend Thrifty based on our experience with them. They closed their counter and sent us to another rental place to get our car which made everything take longer....3 hrs to wait to be exact and then we got an invoice in the mail for 8.80 in tolls and 89.91 in Thrifty fees. Absolutely ridiculous!!

Original review: March 3, 2022

Terrible service. Very little staff. The wait to be served is more than 2 hours in line. I was supposed to pick up the car at 1:00 am and at 2:45 am there are still more than 40 people in front of me to be served.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I went through RCI and booked a rental car a month or so in advance. I even prepaid for the rental. I took a flight later in the day unknown to me that Thrifty doesn't honor their reservations. When I arrived (earlier than indicated on my reservation) I was advised that there were no cars available they had sold out. To my surprise it was over 20 people waiting with a similar problem. So why does thrifty take reservations and not have cars available? So now I went to the other rental places and the same thing or double the price. Did I say my flight landed at 11 pm so now I have to spend additional money on an Uber or Lyft. If going out of town stick with the more reputable companies.

Thrifty Car Rental Company Information