3.27/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1364 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

I got to the airport already checked in and since I was 2 minutes late they refused to print my boarding pass. I would have made the flight on time but had to miss it. The next flight wasn’t until the next day. They put me on standby and kept bumping me down the list until there were no longer any seats. They sold the remaining seats without offering for me to buy it. I was stuck and there were no alternative flights. The San José airport in Costa Rica had the worst service of all Southwest airports.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Tried to use dollars I'd paid to book a flight for my wife. Talked with a so called customer service representative named Valeska who could truly have cared less while telling me that because the dollars were in my name, that only I could use them. I never say never, but will only fly on this airline as a last option.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 19, 2019

My flight was not only cancelled the airline does not even provide assigned seats. They definitely are not organized and do not know how to run an airline comparatively with American or United and does not remotely compare to any Asian airline company. Well done Southwest for the horrible experience!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Overall we are well satisfied. However, the seat selection process could be a little more practical. Kind of annoying that we either have to pay extra to get a selection in advance or we have to log into the site exactly 24 hours prior to scheduled departure.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I don't really know about the rewards program or cancellation, but I can always save some money flying Southwest over any other airline I look at. I wish sometimes they would have assigned seats but it isn't too big a deal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: March 19, 2019

I enjoy this airline because prices are not hiked up and they honor their rates. If the price decrease after you have made your purchase it will be credited to your original form of payment. They do not charge for bags, choosing seats nor your carry on.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Last 2 trips had delays resulted in family gatherings being delayed or having to last minute shopping. But have been flying with them for years. Overall this has been great service and I would highly recommend this airline.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Southwest considers the customer more than other airlines I have used. The flight attendants seem to enjoy their work and it shows in how they relate to customers and how well they react to "issues" in flight. I find it a pleasant trip each time.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Flown many times. Very happy with reward program, cancellation and baggage programs. Only negative is seats have gotten shorter, from seat to seat. Love their destinations maybe someday they will go international.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Southwest is the Best!! No charge for changing or cancelling a reservation!! Their staff is wonderful- friendly and helpful! Love the funny statements they make! Very seldom are the flights late! I love the unique boarding process! I don’t fly with any other airline!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Southwest is the worst airlines I have ever seen. I traveled by AA, Delta, Alaska, United, KLM, Emirates, British, Qatar,... but Southwest customer service is the worst I have seen. SW ticketing agents/their mobile apps are unable to give TSA Pre a boarding pass, given the Known traveler number, reservation PNR number, record locator... Other airlines mobile apps gave me the TSA pre-boarding pass and I did not even needed to go to their ticketing counters.

On 3/18/2019 I planned to travel from DAL to SJC and at 7.10AM. I reached the gate on-time and when I was about to board the flight, I was asked to check-in my very small bag. I asked the air host (a ** male) if I can check for any empty space, if not, I am ready to check-in. (I travel light just to avoid extra baggage waiting time in order to reach work on-time.). The air host was very rude and not willing to listen to me, maybe because of my race or other things. I did not argue at all I gave my bag to him and boarded the flight.

When I went inside, I saw several empty spots where I can keep my bag. When the same person was walking by, I asked him the reason why I was asked to check-in the bag when there are so many spots. He became furious and told me that I cannot fly and asked me to leave the flight. Without arguing with him I left my seat and came out of the flight. He did not give me any answer for his bad treatment. He is very rude, customer unfriendly, may be racist. I had to go to baggage claim area to collect my bag and book another flight with a different airline. Never ever fly Southwest again.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Southwest Airlines has this image of being low-cost airline, more often than not they are the most expensive. This is the last time I'll fly Southwest. They are not a low-cost airline. Their cattle call boarding "priority" is a joke.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Since they allow 2 free checked bags makes them overall the better cost for the money. Would really rather be able to pick a seat versus go on find what you can. Flight attendants are always nice. Seats aren't always the most comfortable but it gets me where I am going and only a few hours out of my life.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Easy to use website. Excellent phone service. Excellent at airport service. No bag fees. New planes. Competitive fares. Great flight choices. Non stops out of SMF to San Diego and Seattle. Friendly flight attendants.

Original review: March 18, 2019

The flight schedules are an easy match to my travel dates and time. Customer Service is sensitive to my needs. The pilot often gets us to the arrival gate early. Most of all, the no luggage fee is the primary draw to this airline.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I like Southwest Airlines very much. They have a good business model that remembers that the customer is why they are in business... and why they have revenue... and eventually a profit. In my encounters with this airline, I have only come upon hard working and good people with integrity and patience.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I felt very comfortable and safe. The seats were at a distance that were comfortable. I was excited about my flight knowing that it would be smooth without any problems. The stewardess were very attentive to my needs.

Original review: March 17, 2019

No fees - they don't fee you to death like the other airlines, it shouldn't cost $200 for a computer to change a flight for you. Fare transparency - I wish other companies would get on board with this, especially Live Nation/Ticketmaster. Excellent customer service - I don't think I have even had a mediocre experience, it has all been excellent. Low rates - no change fees AND low rates, no wonder I work my vacations around where SWA flies, don't want to fly any other airline; they are simply amazing!

Original review: March 17, 2019

Haven't traveled by plane for a couple of years now but they have always been great to fly with and would not fly with any other company. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. The attendants are very friendly and courteous.

Original review: March 17, 2019

This was my first airplane ride ever, and it was most enjoyable. The attendant was helpful and kind, it was amazing that I was actually flying and I was not afraid, it was a very calm and unforgettable experience.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Counter reps only assist to advise you can 'do it yourself'. The flight attendants do their best for passengers who think they're entitled. It's an airbus. It's cheap. It's walking distance from my house.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I love that they don't charge for luggage. But I hate that on a 5.5 hour flight they don't offer food for sale. 5.5 hours with just Fritos, pretzels, Oreos and peanut butter crackers just doesn't cut it.

Original review: March 16, 2019

No cost for bags, very helpful, package deals, they treat you like real people not like not like a semi of livestock going to market. The others need to do the same and not be so money hungry. Seat need to have more room, more leg room, not charge for water to take pills, not take someone’s seat when they paid for it.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Southwest can not be beat by any US airline!! Their service is great: the free baggage, the free flight changes, the lack of cancellation fees, etc. Go Southwest!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have had so many wonderful experiences with Southwest, it's hard to pick just one. Last year, my grandchildren were flying from Albuquerque to St. Louis to visit. They had never flown before, and both we and their parents were very nervous, as the children had to change planes half-way. They were just barely too old for the unescorted minor. Southwest was so understanding and caring. We were given special passes at both Albuquerque and St. Louis, so that without a boarding pass, we could both get them to the gate and wait until take-off, and meet them at the gate when landing. This company is so easy to work with, between the great prices and programs, the free luggage, and the friendly service, I choose them every time.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Best Airline in the business! Friendly service, no hassle seating, ticket price is more than fair, No fee for baggage. I have flown with Southwest for years, mostly from Nashville, TN & Kansas City, Missouri. The only complaint, they don't fly into more eastern cities.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Got to Get Away is an impressive program when we need to fly somewhere on an emergency or of a personal nature. Often we find ourselves flying to other states in order to help after the birth of a baby or another emergency our married children are experiencing.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Great friendly team. Great point system and hospitality. I’ve flew about 10 times a year and only had a minor turbulence but otherwise great flights all the time.

Original review: March 15, 2019

First two bags are free. I am disabled. The airline has friendly people that meet me at the check-in counter and take me directly to the gate. I am then greeted at the gate upon arrival and taken to baggage claim to pick up my belongings. Then they take me to the curbside where I get my ride. Everybody at Southwest Airlines are courteous and professional.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Flying on the three majors in this day and age is an ordeal from start to finish. But Southwest tries to take a lot of the pain out of it by adding some fun to the process. They don't treat passengers like the enemy and most of their policies seem to be as fair as possible. They get an "A+" in my book.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information