2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.99/5

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Original review: March 21, 2020

My husband, myself and our youngest son booked a flight last April to see our 22 year old son graduate from Basic/Advanced training in Columbus Ga. The price for the three of us was very affordable. We love that they do not charge for our first luggage so that saved us money, which was even greater. We proudly attended graduation and spent quality time with our son.

On the return flight, I sat next to my husband who was sitting in the aisle seat. He had lost 50 lbs after heart surgery in 2017, so his ring was a little loose. While serving us our beverages, the flight attendant reached down next to his seat picking up a wedding band and asked if it was his. Yes, It was his! We were so grateful she found his ring before we left the plane. He would have been devastated to have lost it. It has special inscription inside. We had been married 24 years at this time. He finally put a ring guard on it after we returned. I am still so grateful for the service of that flight attendant to this day. The entire crew was up to par. Southwest will always be my first choice in domestic flights in the US.

Original review: March 14, 2020

The employees of Southwest Airlines are very polite and helpful. At one time when we had to use American Airlines when we arrived at our destination I was in a wheelchair and I was left at the gate to wait for the amendment to take me to the baggage area. I was left there for about 15 minutes and I started to worrier I would miss my ride so I started to go on on my own and it was very hard to go because it was uphill and then a Southwest Airlines employee came by her way to their gate and she saw me struggling and ask me if I need help and said yes but that I was an on an American Airlines passenger and she, "That's ok. I will help you to the baggage area," and she helps me get my luggage and took where my ride was waiting.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Everything went off without a hitch. Pre-flight instructions were thorough and to the point. Loading was well organized and quite smooth. No big delays or hangups. The flight attendants did their jobs and were polite. The direct flight to Phoenix from Msp was actually 35 minutes early which was wonderful. I asked the pilot on the way off how fast we were going and he smiled and said something about the speed of sound. What really ill impressed us was the help we received at MSP getting our tickets. We are not computer savvy so we looked kind of confused coming up to the ticket counter. Immediately a worker came over and walked us through using our cell phones to scan in the machine and get our tickets printed. We were both so appreciative of that help. They must have seen a couple of seniors and were ready to assist. A pleasant flying experience which made for an enjoyable beginning of our vacation. Thankyou Southwest.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Recently I had flown Southwest Airlines from Sacramento to Las Vegas (my home). While waiting for the flight to board, I was approached by a flight attendant offering me assistance to board. I'm an elderly overweight man, having weak knees, which troubles me getting out of low chairs. This kind gentleman helped me up and escorted me onto the plane ahead of the folks in line. I was dismayed at the conscientiousness of this attendant of spotting me in the very crowded waiting area and coming to my aid.

After boarding he led me to a seat with extra leg room and placed a pillow on the seat next to me allowing more room for me to be more comfortable (it was not a full flight). He then brought me a water, and said to call him if I needed anything else. With this kind of exceptional service, how could I not become a dedicated and loyal customer to this great company. Whether Southwest trains their employees to give this kind of service or hire individuals with this type of compassion, they evidently are doing something right with their customer service. I, for one, truly appreciate it. Since that time, I've flown with them as often as possible, and speak highly of them to friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I book wrong flight from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale, it should have been to Orlando. We are going on a cruise boarding at Port Canaveral. Didn't realize this until 2 days before my departure! I was in panic mode, blood pressure rising, I looked at my wife and said "I screwed up". So I called Southwest Airlines and April ** answer the phone with a very sweet voice, I said I made a boo-boo, I explained I booked wrong flight, the first thing she said, "Let's see if we can fix this." She ask me for time I needed to be at ship. After checking her compute she said, "I can get you on a flight to Orlando, your arrival time would be 11 am." I said YES and then she book our return flight back home.

April ** represents what Southwest is all about "Caring for their customers". I know this may not seem like a big deal to most people, but image if it were YOU, this was HUGE mistake and April ** corrected it. She is amazing, very friendly and cared about helping me. Southwest you have a very special person representing your company. I always fly Southwest out of Lovefield, less hassle than DFW and because of great caring people like April ** - I am a loyal Southwest customer. I highly recommend this airline. A+/5 star airline!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: June 25, 2020

Do not fly Southwest. If you have a change in plans and a ** child will be going with you instead of a ** child they will not help you. They will keep the money you already paid. Simple as changing a name. They require ID so there should be no problem. You will get no help whatsoever.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Shout out to Southwest again. They continue to prove that flying with other carriers typically isn’t worth it. The change fees, inconsistent staffing and flight delays with other carriers like American Airlines make it easy to choose Southwest. Thank you for the great service and bailing me and my family out of other carrier disasters!! Southwest makes it easy to fly.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Do NOT fly Southwest, unless you like disappointment. I would disregard any review older than 1 year. Because back in the day they were a good airline. I've flown them at least 10 round trips in last year, and every time, their services was terrible, flights are always late and their customer service is terrible and obnoxious! Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I have been flying Southwest for 9 years, and they continue to be my primary choice for flying. When something goes wrong, Southwest will make your experience right. I have several examples of them thinking outside the box for my family, friends, and myself. I am leaving a review because I don't know how else to spread the Southwest LOVE!

Original review: May 12, 2020

Do not book your vacation through SW Vacations. I assure you, especially in a time like this you will regret it. I booked an international trip in the spring before COVID19 got out of hand. The trip was to take place in late April during the peak of the worldwide pandemic. When I went to cancel I was told I would receive X amount in air credit, and X amount in resort credit back to my card. I was not happy with this since I wanted to go on the trip, but when the world shuts down and travelers' safety becomes a life-threatening concern it puts a hinder on those plans. I was told all would be processed and refunded within 14-21 business days because of the influx of calls. I understood the timeline. Keep in mind that I waited 2.5 hours to speak to someone about this in the first place, but again I understood.

I waited 30 business days (well beyond the promised 14-21) and had not yet received any communication from SWA/SWV and no credit back. I called again... 2 hours later I spoke to a lovely lady who told me she could clearly see where I was promised an SLA of 14-21 days, but that it could take several more months to receive the credit. Clearly, that is unacceptable. 1. It does not take that much time to apply a credit. It should not take more than a few days. It should be processed while on the call. 2. We are in a worldwide pandemic where people's livelihoods are in jeopardy. We cannot wait several months for a refund. I decided to reply to some other complaints I saw about this on twitter to SW Airlines.

I was absolutely disgusted to get a response from SW Airlines saying (and I am paraphrasing) that Southwest Vacations is not the same company. They do not have responsibility. I explained that if their name, logo, & branding are on the site, not to mention I receive emails from them acting as 1 company than they are responsible. That is part of your responsibility when adding your branding to what I have now learned is a 3rd party company. So at this point I am frustrated. It's been almost 60 days since canceling due to the pandemic and no credit back per their promise. No one takes ownership, you wait on the phone for hours to speak to a representative, and most importantly on my end I am upset with Southwest Airlines. I have been a loyal and frequent flyer for several years for both my personal & work travel.

I will no longer be doing future business with either because I feel in a time like this it shows the true character of a company. Yes, SWA has agreed to extend voucher usage to a later date which I believe was a nice move, but I do also believe they should be providing refunds on flights to countries that were closed, and that in this particular example they should having the type of relationship with the third party company that uses their name and logo to ensure THEY are doing the right thing by their customers. Very disappointed with the failure on Southwest Airlines part, and would never do business with their 3rd party who manages their vacations again.

Southwest Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information