3.71/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

1179 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

My wife is in California at our son's beside in an Intensive care unit where he is dying. My wife has to delay her departure back to San Antonio as our son is being taken off life support. Southwest Airlines charged us a rescheduling fee even though our circumstance was explained to them. THIS COMPANY HAS NO COMPASSION WHATSOEVER.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Mandy at Gate B25 Chicago Midway Airport refused to contact airport authority when a door alarm was going off very loudly. Other waiting passengers also asked but she simply said she couldn’t do anything with a smile. I had to ask her to pick up the phone and call the airport authority. She then waited in two other passengers before coming back to me. I waited for her information to report it to the airline and airport. How rude. It also didn’t help that our plane was 2 hours delayed. Refused to help until 5th request.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I gate checked my brand new stroller (bought for this trip). It was given back to me with metal scraped off the sides and gashes in the plastic parts such as the tray and footrest. It’s now inoperable as the plastic is jagged and the metal has sharp edges. I made an incident report, sent many photos and a copy of my receipt for the stroller (at their request) just to get a message back stating they are not liable for anything they damage, but they hope I’ll have happy memories from my next flight! The things I had not reported but also annoyed me is their baggage check staff is rude, flight attendants were not helpful and their snacks are AWFUL! They are not even the tiniest bit family friendly. I will never fly this airline again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We booked our flight 2 weeks ago, on the return flight we were cancelled 4 times, instead of putting us on next available flight we were left to rebook, only to keep rescheduling, we were treated as if we were causing a problem, while trying to get home to work next day. Many flights were still going out, the gentleman who got our connecting flight, because we would not be able to connect on the original one, was extremely rude, acting as if he had done me and my handicapped husband a favor, by letting us get a connecting flight, that was to get us home the next morning. Many people that had booked flights long after we had, got right on flights! Why when a flight is cancelled, is the option not given for the next available flight?

Original review: April 15, 2018

First time travel with Southwest. Would have been ok, no complaints except for the early Orlando 3:00 a.m. into airport to check in bags, security. Yes we were early but good thing we arrived early. 2 people were waiting inside to check baggage. There were a lot of kiosks for getting your boarding pass, baggage labels, nothing turned and no Southwest employee presence. That didn't happen until 4:10 a.m. Around 3:30 a.m. only 1 machine was working so we along with others logged in and tagged our bags.

When the counter opened and not every counter opened, there was no direction and MANY more people, no particular line to get into so it caused some issue as who is first, etc. First there should be a sign when you walk through the doors that early to provide SOME direction as to when counter opens, etc. AND because like any store only a few cashiers, provide a LINE UP HERE and HERE line. Many people and employees finally come out to service only a few counters so if you were there really early and get in the wrong line, good luck. When a few employees came out to start setting up some good mornings to customers and communication would have been appreciated. Remember future returns are because of good customer service. We have no complaints with the flight crew and flight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Normally Southwest is just great all around. Good service, value, and just a great experience. However, they do have a major flaw. They can change your original booking and not even notify you. This can leave you in the dark and not have time to make other accommodations. Case in point: I bought a ticket in January for a trip to Orlando in May for my family of 6. I chose this particular flight because it was nonstop and only 2 hours. My 7 year old son is autistic and can only sit for 3 hours max without having a meltdown and/or self harming. Plus my elderly mother in law is physically impaired and can’t sit for long periods without being in pain. I chose the earliest morning flight because my daughter had a mandatory practice on Wednesday night, but we needed to be at an event (that costs us over $1000 to attend) by about 10-11 AM on Thursday. The ticket I bought was perfect!

Well I checked my reservation on 2 weeks prior to leaving through my account and saw it was changed. Mind you, I was NEVER was notified! A representative said my original flight was canceled a month after booking. At that time they moved me to a flight that would have a no plane change layover that took 6 hours and would come in after the time I needed to be in Orlando! If I kept the new flight, I ran the risk of being that passenger with the child who won't stop crying/screaming and who is causing a scene because I would be trying to keep him from self harming as a meltdown ensued. I quickly called and after MANY conversations with regular reps, corporate, and through Twitter, I was told basically sorry, there’s nothing you can do.

My flight # was now given to the flight that was available after ours. I would think only make sense that we should have been moved to the same flight # as before because it was still non-stop and close to our original time! Had I known, I could have made the arrangements myself! Since I just learned in April that this happened, I was only able to get 5 of my family in on that flight. Those were the last seats left. Since there was no room for me, now I have to travel a day earlier which is causing me stress.

I am autistic as well and really needed my family support system. Not to mention we have a mother/daughter event on Wednesday night after her practice and now she's really sad that she won't have her mother there. This also leaves my husband having to get through the flying process with 3 kids, one of whom is autistic, and also help assist his mother throughout the airport.

The very least they could have done is told us. I could have fixed this then instead of having to stress about it 2 weeks before my trip. They did offer us a refund, however the prices when we're 2 weeks away from the trip are now double and none of them are at the time we need. The reason for the review is hopefully to help other families aware that they should keep checking their reservations up until departure because you won't be notified if there is a major change.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I would give southwest 0 stars if possible. Their customer service is god awful. I don't know what happened to this company and their service. Just spent over 1 hour on the phone with them to get an "I'm sorry". Southwest caused me to sit in an airport for an entire day due to their mechanical issues with the aircraft that caused me to miss my connection. Not only will they NOT reimbursed my travel nightmare, but none of the expenses that I accrued during my 9 hours sitting at the airport and sleeping on THE GROUND. Disgusting service, disgusting airline. I will take my business elsewhere. Delta or JetBlue would never treat their customers this way.

Original review: April 10, 2018

After a delayed flight at Delta Airlines, they were so kind and offered to refund our tickets (even though purchased from a 3rd party) then they searched for another sooner flight and found one on Southwest. Once we went to Southwest everything went wrong, our flight was approaching a two hour delay, the cabin crew said they were sure we could receive a refund but we never expected what happened next! They said we could not receive a refund only a credit voucher? This upset me because we only purchased the tickets an hour prior, so they were not out anything? Anyways I’m they did give us the refund but not before the mgr completely abused my mom and myself verbally and emotionally. It was the worst experience I’ve had, if you would like to please see rest of this story check out my Twitter at Tracie ** Twitter 023.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Outbound departed 1/2 hour late, no food or beverage service due to "possible turbulence". Not one bump, still no drinks or snacks. Return flight, 30 min delay, no reason. I used on fly Southwest exclusively. Might as well fly the REAL discount airlines, and at least save some $$$ for the frustration.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Have been speaking with Southwest for over 2 weeks regarding Rapid Rewards that were cancelled on my account. I have been basically accused of not being truthful and this I do not appreciate. I called Southwest Airlines and spoke to an agent in November. I am uncertain the name of the agent I spoke with and thought I was speaking to a reservation agent. The call was to inquire if the trip I was going to book with points would count as activity toward my rewards. I was told yes. I wanted to make certain of this as I could have easily paid for my ticket and I did not want to risk losing the points I had acquired. I was told it would show as activity for that year so I booked the flight. Now Southwest is telling me it did not count and therefore my points, over 35,000 have been taken away. It took me several misdirected phone calls to reach a supervisor.

I was told on March 26th by agent Alley that not only would my rewards be reinstated but I would receive a callback that same evening to confirm that I received those points. I was also told that she would try to locate the original call I had made and find out who gave me that wrong information. I was also told that if they could not find that call it would be ok and my points would be reinstated. I was told that they would be reinstated no matter the circumstances of retrieving that phone conversation. I am not being untruthful. Apparently Alley was only pacifying. I was told I would get a I did not receive a callback nor were my points reinstated. I had waited all evening for the callback. Today April 2 2018 I called again after waiting a week and spoke to a different agent that told me by looking through the notes I was not told my points were not going to be reinstated due to the fact they could not locate the call to prove I called.

This is not what Alley had stated to me and in her notes she also stated I was informed that if the call was not found I would not be reinstated. This is untrue. I have no reason to lie about this for any reason. I was also told by this agent that was looking at the notes, that Alley had tried to phone me twice today on the 2nd of April. This is definitely not true as I have been at home by the contact phone, which also has caller ID, and no calls came in. I ask that Alley return my call as I wanted to know why she changed her story in her notes. Alley did return my call and basically apologized for the miscommunication. There was no miscommunication, as I know what I was told. The apology does not resolve anything nor does not help me in any way. I called in November to check the status of booking with points in regard to losing my points and was told I would not lose points and the flight would act as activity.

I was told I would get a confirmation that night and did not. Now I am being told that if the call was made more than 90 days ago they could not locate it. I am not the one being untruthful here. Apparently they have agents that give misinformation. There would be no reason for me to call customer relations if the information I received was correct and my points were still in place. I truly feel that I was accused of lying and was basically told so by agents at Southwest Airlines. I earned the points they cancelled. I would like to know who I can speak to or how to resolve this matter.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I arrive to the boarding gate, which could not be farther from the security gate, with minutes to spare yet I am rescheduled to a later flight. So I wait an hour just to find out I am being rescheduled again for another 4 hours since the pilot appeared to arrive late and I would likely miss the connecting flight.

Original review: March 22, 2018

A garment bag was damaged while checked with Southwest Airlines. I discovered the damage on board a cruise ship the next day. The damage was not visible until attempting to hang the bag. Southwest said because it was reported outside of the 4 hours all they would offer is a $50 voucher towards a future flight. This is less than 25% of the replacement price. People should be aware of this policy. It would also seem people should practice swimming so they can get back to the cruise ship after reporting the claim.

Original review: March 7, 2018

They tried to make a bad experience right and have completely dropped the ball. Never refunded me the money promised and gave me a voucher that didn't work. They keep saying they have to reissue it and never give an explanation as to why it won't work in the first place. Every reissue I have to wait 7-10 business days. Call back and same situation. It's been over a month now and after hours on the phone I have zero resolution.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I decided to try Southwest after 10 years. My flight to San Another got canceled due to fog. They had no more flights for that day then nothing until the evening the following day. Went to customer service at the airport. They said the money was being refunded. This was back in Jan 9th. Almost two months later my sister called me (I borrowed her card to keep it a surprise for my husband... For our 15th wedding anniversary). She said she got late fees and interest from her credit card because the money was never refunded.

Called Southwest and they will refund me. Still asking me why I didn't take another flight that day. Really?? They won't pay for the late fee and interest which is 32 dollars. So now on top of the embarrassment with my sister I will pay her the interest and late fee of a trip that I never took, on top of my lost money from two hotel nights. What a nightmare... And this happened to me only using Southwest Airlines once in ten years. Now they want to give me a 50 dollars voucher. I don't even fly with them. What am I supposed to do with a 50 dollars voucher!! Wow that's what I called terrible customer service.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Thank you for treating me like family. Last minute changes happen. I was treated with such warm humility, I was blown away by the compassion and understanding on a very busy Sunday morning. Just wanted to say thank you from a very happy and homebound traveler. Thank you Matt & SWA.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Opened a baggage claim incident for missing bag. Badly upset with the responsibility, baggage left airport without even a scan. No one know where the baggage is (Per southwest rep), almost after 48 hours got a call from Sac County airport county stating that baggage was found in SMF Airport bus. ***VERY VERY IRRESPONSIBLE***. Incident was immediately closed without proper explanation: **. Need explanation on your security of my baggage. I also want to mention that I am missing my Macbook charger. Please address this issue ASAP.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I had a flight with Southwest Airlines from Chicago to Orlando. The flight was canceled last moment by Southwest. It was December 29th, 2017. Being peak season and no other available flight, me and my family were left stranded. I was somehow able to reach Orlando by taking another airlines and flew back from Orlando to Chicago with Southwest. I requested for refund of the amount for the canceled flight from Chicago to Orlando. After 5 calls and 2 months Southwest only provided me a partial refund and fails to give me an explanation for the partial refund.

The customer care representatives are very nice and keep on apologizing to me for not providing me with the right refund amount but fail to provide the complete refund. Every time I call I am put on hold for at least 1 hour for them to look in the matter and talk to the refund department. It has been a horrifying experience. I just hope they do not treat other passengers in the same way.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Midway through flight 4327 from Denver, CO, to Oakland, CA, on Saturday, January 27, 2018, the pilot announced that smoke had been detected on the aircraft and that he would be doing an emergency landing in Reno, Nevada. I would like to commend the pilot and his crew for a safe, quick descent and rapid response to an emergency situation. I would also like to commend the flight attendants at the Reno airport who had to respond to 200 people without transportation to the final destination.

However, the options to complete my journey to Oakland were going to push my journey back many hours, at a minimum. I opted to hire a rental car, and was told by the attendant to call customer service for a refund of the flight and reimbursement for expenses. This turned out to be a half truth. Southwest will refund my flight—after a 60 day delay. And they are not going to reimburse the cost of the rental car, which cost more than the original flight. The customer service department at Southwest Airlines was a dead-end. They were inaccessible to reach, with extremely long hold times. And were not responsive or supportive to answer my questions beyond the rehearsed company policy. The plane caught on fire. This situation could have been worse, and thankfully it was not. I am stunned that Southwest Airlines cannot be more responsive to passengers on board this plane.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The cancellation and rescheduling process at Southwest Airlines is easy and well worth the extra few dollars. Easy, stress free flying from beginning to end. Takes the worry out of scheduling. Can cancel and reschedule the flight 10 minutes before the flight with no penalty. Affords and convenient.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have flown Southwest Airlines a number of times and was always satisfied... Until now. I went to book a flight that 5 other friends had just booked at a certain price. I went on the website and was going to book at the same price, but decided that since I had such good experiences I would sign up as a loyalty customer (a Southwest account) first. After over 1.5 hrs of trying to connect a credit card to the account (and receiving the "spinning wheel of death" for all that time while it tried to accept my credit card, with a very healthy credit limit), I cancelled out and decided to just book the flight. The price went up significantly. I called the 800 number and spoke with both a representative and her supervisor. I got their "it's policy" standard party line and absolutely NO HELP at all.

So basically I was charged a significant amount more because I waited for their incompetent website to process my account application. No amount of reason worked with these robots... I was basically charged MORE money in order to sign up for loyalty. Well I am NO LONGER loyal to this ridiculous airline with its "I can't help you" policies. I will NEVER AGAIN try to book with this airline and their rigid and non-suppotive "policies". They even had the audacity to say that "other people" who try to scam the system was the reason why they could not honor their original price. I am NOT other people... But they could not get past that lame excuse. Good luck if you choose to use them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Southwest cancelled my flight today 75 minutes prior to departure time of 8:20am due to a connecting flight issue. I was already at airport. It was not delayed. It was altogether cancelled. Immediately I contacted a csr at Southwest and they offered to put me on another flight 5 hrs later and land in Detroit at 2:55pm. Because I had to tend to business about an hour outside of Detroit at 2pm this would not work. When I complained to corporate office Anna ** she advised that I was immediately put on the next flight out at 10:15ish but this was never conveyed to me. They only offered the much later flight described above. Not sure why an airlines would mislead one of their passengers like this. Southwest needs to step up their game as they failed on many different levels and when this kind of inconvenience happens then the customers should be compensated accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

They work hard to take care of each passenger to make them feel special, especially handicap customers allowing them extra time to board and get settled.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had 15,000 points. Enough for a couple free trips. Apparently they expire in 24 months which I had no knowledge of since United doesn't do that. After finding out my last trip was 2 days after the expiration I asked for an exception to save my points, had I known I would have taken the trip 2 days earlier in order to keep my points. They said no in a very rude manner - I asked to speak to a supervisor I was refused and advised, "It's our policy."

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

01/09/2018 we had an ice storm in Baltimore. Our shuttle, super shuttle, arrived at the airport late. Our flight was at 9:10 they were at BWI 8:10. Southwest agent, **, would not let us board because we were minutes late. It's understandable that Southwest policy is if you're not checked in prior to 60 minutes you don't board the aircraft. But we were only minutes late and all our pleading and begging didn't get us on board. The problem was this lady's attitude. She was enjoying the fact we missed our flight to Jamaica. She gloated over our misfortune. Stating she had to be at work at 4:30 and left in plenty of time to get there on time. Told her it wasn't our fault but the shuttles fault. She just smudged at our misfortune. When she couldn't find another flight for us that day or the next she just seemed to rejoice again at our misfortune. She found a flight several days later. And with a smirk on her face she said, "If you're late again you won't fly again."

\

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Our flight from BDL to Baltimore was delayed because the baggage was not loaded on to the airplane in a timely manner. I watched this occur from my window seat as we were waiting to take off. You had one person doing the job of 2 to 3. We ended up being over an hour late because of the bags. Then the pilot announced that "ground" had informed him that all connecting flights were being held so that passengers like us could make their next flights. Not true. Eight other passengers missed their connecting flights. We then had to beg for hotel compensation because you claimed the delay was due to air traffic control. Not true. I do not like to be lied to. Next problem. I purchased early check in on my return flight back to BDL. We received seat assignment A60 and B1. Once the plane is 1/4 full you should stop taking people's money for preferential line positions. This was a real ripoff.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have no idea how I held it together, but this nonsense of airline employees thinking they can terrorize us is nonsense and Congress needs to stop it. My flight began In Harlingen. By chance my flight was all the way through to NY with a stop in Houston and Nashville. After boarding the plane computer problems delayed to take off for an hour. The flight attendants and pilots did a great job keeping us informed. In Houston because it meant programming the computer by hand again they did an aircraft change. Fine by me - safety first.

In Nashville a lot of flyers were getting hungry and asked for permission to leave the plane. We were told we had 45 minutes before boarding of the new passengers. I was the only one who went for a sandwich two gates over. I was sitting in the front so I was the first off of the plane. The flight attendants told me I could go for the sandwich and had my name. When I was paying for my sandwich people were still unboarding the Houston flight. When I got back to the gate I thought the man was joking about me holding up the flight. I was told to just show him my driver's license and I would be able to board.

I am in the walkway entering the plane when a lunatic comes charging down the walk way demanding I stop and then said, "You never get off a plane without my permission." Well stupid me I assumed the flight attendants knew the rules. For 5 minutes he tore me to shreds. An apology meant nothing. I did not blame the flight attendants because they were such a great crew. All the passengers could hear him destroying me. We all know the rule had I walked away and just got in the plane he could have had me removed. I could have been dragged off the plane. I right to defend ourselves from these terrorist airline employees has been taked away from us. When I finally get on the plane the flight attendants told me I held up the flight for only 3 minutes, and then the supervisor held it up for 5 more minutes attacking me. The passengers backed me because one 3 minutes is not a big deal, and two they thought the supervisor was a jerk.

I will admit I am not a SW friend. I do not understand why they cannot sell meals on the plane like other airlines. I am not asking for a free meal. I am simply asking for the option of buying one. I will seek the name of the supervisor to press assault charges, but I have been told by a SW executive I know they will never give it up so I am wasting my time. I will research this issue and my options. I do not want points or money. I want this guy charged with verbal assault leaving me in reasonable apprehension of fear for my person and terrorist threat. Money will not fix the problem. But all airline employees knowing they can be charged with criminal conduct for their unjustified actions, just might turn them human again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I have been a frequent flyer for years. I hardly review any business regardless of how bad service was. That being said, it takes a lot to anger me. I purchased a ticket named Business Select, which was supposedly a high end flight ticket. I was told the advantage of this type of pass was that we would be preboarded. My wife and I waited in the preboard line and as we proceeded to board the plane, the agent stated that I was not a preboarder. I told him that I was Business Select and he said "You need to go to the ends of the line." So, to save some time, I decided to After show my Military ID. Surprisingly enough, I was told it didn’t matter about my Military Service and that I needed to go to the very end of the line to be boarded.

It was so embarrassing to be treated like I was in boot camp. My wife asked the agent, “How is this possible?” He continued to state get to the back of the line. I own a company with a mission to hire Veterans and I am a 22 year Veteran. The customer service is beyond horrible and their service Initiative is very poor. The package I purchased with Southwest Airlines was not illustrated correctly in terms of benefits of specific seating or flight arrangement. Lastly, the upon boarding the flight I discovered that passengers could sit anywhere on the plane and seats did not matter. So I question... What is Business Select? What is the significance of the ticket purchased from any other ticket? I have wasted thousands of dollars to think that me and my wife would be flying in a more comfortable setting. This was supposed to be a little fraction of her Christmas gift since she never flew Business Select or First Class. I will not ever fly Southwest again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

On this last trip, all went well, but on the way home, at the home airport, the plane just fell on the runway with a big bang! My back is still sore.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

A flight attendant walked down the aisle, ascertaining drink preferences. He addressed EVERY WOMAN by the diminutive term "Honey". When I objected, he told me that I was the only one to do so. I complained to Southwest, who told me that their flight attendants were trained to be 'fun loving'. Southwest apologized for upsetting me and asked for my return business but made no mention of instructing male flight attendants to refrain from calling women passengers "Honey". Until Southwest understands the nature of sexist and offensive terminology, and that it is more than just 'upsetting' one passenger, I refuse to fly this airline. I would rather pay more for a ticket and patronize an airline that no longer has its 1970's Flight Attendants in Hot Pants mentality.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The flight was great. No turbulence, The staff was very friendly as usual and the check-in and boarding process is so efficient. I just wish other airlines would figure out how simple this is. Free checked bags is also great!

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information