3.08/5

1394 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2019

Good afternoon. I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and share with you why you have converted me from another airline for life. My wife’s Grandmother was in her last days and hours of her life, the last week of March this year. My wife and I had planned on traveling to see her, and had a ticket purchased already for my wife and one of my daughters, but we needed it changed and needed to get me and my other daughter a flight. For my work, I travel quite frequently from Nashville to Dallas among other places on another airline. Because of my status I like them to continue to build points with them. I called them first to book myself and my daughter a flight to Phoenix. They were of no assistance, would not budge on the price for an emergency, and would still charge me a large amount to move my points.

I hung up. My wife then called Southwest. Not only did they get us booked last minute, they adjusted the pricing for an emergency, and helped us the whole way thru it moving our points around etc... Even when we got to the airport, they bumped us to an even earlier flight to get us there as quickly as possible. What a blessing it was to fly with you. If we would have went with the other airline, or had we not been bumped up to an earlier flight, we would not have made it in time to see her grandmother before she passed. We arrived within less than 2 hours of her passing. What you do for people every day may seem routine, but for us, it was a life changing moment.

Having my wife be there before her grandmother passed means more to me than I can possibly express to you. As a result, I have decided to switch to Southwest for all of my work and personal trips going forward even though I do not have status with you. Sometimes I fly out of Knoxville where you do not service, but other than that, I will forever use you now. Thank you for making such a hard time for my family, just a little easier. God Bless you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Southwest Airlines is the only way to fly!!! They take care of their customers and go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed on each flight. I work sometimes out of town and I never exactly know what time my day may end, but I know I can check the flights or call Southwest to change my flight with little to no expense to me and when I say little, I believe the most I have paid has been $8.00, you cannot beat that. I know when I have had to fly with another airline and requested to change my flight, I have been told it will cost me $150 to $200 to change the flight. I can take a carry on the plane with no extra charge to me.

The flight attendants are always so nice and accommodating to your needs. The pilots' comments are hilarious and puts me at ease. I changed my schedule a few months ago in which I paid $8.00 and ended up delayed at another airport due to weather conditions. I wasn't upset at all, I'd rather be safe. Days after I arrived home, I received an email from Southwest giving me a $100 voucher for future travel with them. I was not expecting this, didn't feel as they needed to do this, but that is who they are. I will not fly with any other airline unless I absolutely have to!!! I highly recommend Southwest Airlines!!!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Always, check other flights 1 Day Before and 1 Day After, your intended travel date. Often you will discover better price(s) for flexible dates. Consider travel connection cities, before booking. Once you have your e-ticket, get your group boarding class no later than 23 hours Before your Departing Day. Have comfortable walking shoes. Weather changes will occur often.

Made that mistake myself, traveling between Tampa, Florida and Austin, TX. Tampa was 79 degrees and non-stop Austin was 39 degrees. Tampa, has good veteran and disability security assistance towards boarding flights. Austin, has poor veteran and disability security assistance personnel. When traveling between Austin and Dallas Love Field, Austin took longer than the actual flight. Austin security, put 3 security personnel on my physical inspection, causing me to board our flight in tight seating due to security delays. We request the boarding with disability to ensure safety for ourselves and other travelers on 737 planes. Dallas Love Field, had good veteran with disability assistance and ensured we got on our flight, non-stop to Tampa. If we have to travel within Texas again, we will avoid Austin, altogether. May even consider rail travel.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Outstanding customer service and personnel on the ground (phone, airport) and on the air. Very nice leather seating, easy to glide in and out of, easy to wipe (if needed). Bags included in your ticket price. Single class of service - everyone gets treated with equal respect and deference. No silly games to be played for upgrades. Excellent cancellations policy - a win-win situation: client doesn't lose value, airline doesn't lose money. The Rewards program is simple: collect miles/points a couple of ways (flying, spend with airline, shopping through portal, co-branded CCs, transfer from other CCs), use miles for tickets.

For the more ambitious or the *extremely* frequent flyers there are a couple of extra programs to aim for: A-list and Companion Ticket. The companion ticket is one of the most valuable perks out there. Thankfully, on occasion Southwest provides ways for non 100 segment-flyers/year to achieve it. $8 door to door in-flight internet is good for anyone who cannot untether. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks to keep one hydrated, included. And the good humor and talent of the flying personnel: free for all to enjoy!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have flown with Southwest for a while now, always to one location: Charleston International. Unfortunately, there is no straight way there. Because of this, I've had lots of layovers in many of their locations. I've been to the Denver, Houston, Chicago, and with my next trip, the Baltimore airport. I've had maybe 6 flights now and not many bad experiences.

Overall, not bad at all. I usually am allowed TSA Pre-Check without applying, I always get early-bird, and seats aren't bad. Of course sometimes, things will be delayed. I noticed this especially in Chicago Midway, but that is just because that airport is notorious for delays. The whole time, Southwest never alarmed anyone and remained calm no matter the delay. The flight attendants are super nice and care about safety and regulation.

Two Things: You can watch the baggage people practically chunk your luggage around, which I've noticed many times. I was on a flight in Denver going to Will Rogers Airport where the flight was so full, that one girl could not find a seat near her mother - or a seat at all. It was overbooked. I hope everything got worked out but Southwest is pretty stubborn about refunds. Overall, good stuff. We'll see if this next trip continues to meet my expectation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: May 24, 2019

I will say that it is not necessarily the company but how they handle employees that are rude and disrespectful to their customers. I will be making a call tomorrow to customer relations, making a formal complaint regarding the boarding attendant. Denver to Tucson flight 2220 May 22, 2019, gate C27. This person threatened to arrest me moments after she preboarded me due to a plane swap and a hour and half delay. She scanned my boarding pass and I proceeded through the Concorde with the others. Then I hear this employee's yelling "Hey Lady come back here!" I looked back and thought she was speaking to someone else and continued walking. She yells again, "You in the pink shirt." (My shirt was peach.) She then becomes angry and instructed me to obey her orders. I will say that did not go over well with me, especially in the disrespectful way she summoned.

When I was within earshot of her I said "what is it that you need?" She at this point started threatening me she would call security, I again said "what is it that you need?" Her response was for me to calm down and follow orders. I'm thinking, "What the hell is going on?" Then security shows up taking me aside about 2 feet, well within boarding passengers' view. The security guard was about a foot taller than me and had at least 200 hundred pounds on me, she gets up in my space and starts with do I want to be detained, or removed from the flight? I again ask, "What is it that you need!?" Again and again.

Finally I'm told my driver's license. Didn't questioned why, I've never boarded a plane and been asked to return with my I.D. Matter of fact never been asked for ID while boarding. I of course obliged, I could see this was not going well, at this point I would be lucky to get home by 1 am in my 10th hour of travel. I am a healthy, athletic young 58 year old woman who had not been drinking. I was tired yes, during the delay I walked the airport racking up some unexpected steps. My first facial reaction was to the utter disrespect of this Southwest boarding attendant addressing any one us as "Hey lady you need to follow orders". I will say that did not go over well. I will be calling customer relations tomorrow and will update.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My reservations have been changed numerous times before my flight... It then got cancelled less than 24 hours before my flight through text. I was busy throughout the day so I didn't read my text till late. I had to call in late at night to rebook my tickets. It then got cancelled again on my return flight back home less than 3 hours before my flight. It was an early flight so I had to call a family member in the middle of the night to tell them the updated plans, which they had taken off work to pick me up because the airport was 1.5 hours away. This is very INCONVENIENT!! Did the owners of Spirit airlines taken over Southwest????

Original review: May 17, 2019

Southwest cancelled our flight 5-12-2019, 10 minutes before boarding time @ 7:40 to leave @ 8:10 am. Tried jumping on another flight. They couldn't get us there till 9 pm. We had to change airports, change airlines (American) and paid $2,300 to get to Denver for a wedding at 2pm. We were still late, Southwest would only refund the tickets & send $100 vouchers (who wants to fly with Southwest if all you do is cancel flights????). Just to get from Love Field to DFW was a $50 Taxi ride. On top of paying $741 each person (3) each way. Southwest is seriously a JOKE of a company. Our primary airline is always Frontier when we travel to Denver (no available seats).

Original review: May 16, 2019

On April 27th I took flight #3121 from Phoenix, AZ to Buffalo, NY for my father-in-law's funeral. This flight had 143 passengers on board with 2 bathrooms, 1 front & 1 rear. Our attendant, Jody, closed the front bathroom 1 hour before landing. Pilot came out to use which was fine. It was then left closed and when I asked "Jody" when it would reopen, I was told, "It is staying closed until I say it isn't closed!" in a very stern and nasty manner. My seat mates and I were shocked at her response. My seat mate then told me that the attendants were having some kind of party in the front as there was a shrimp ring out and they seemed to be socializing. Really? Jody shut down 1 of 2 bathrooms for at least 20-25 minutes in the hour before landing! This attendant should be fired.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The flight attendants gave excellent service. However, the female flight attendant wore such heavy perfume that the entire front of the cabin reeked of it. I spent most of the flight holding my hand in front of my nose to try to block the smell. I am allergic to perfume and being in an enclosed space for a long period of time gave me a horrific headache. I saw that others in the front of the plane kept rubbing their noses as well. I am really surprised that Southwest allows their attendants to wear perfume, especially strong perfume.

Original review: May 15, 2019

WOW! Southwest canceled our flight after midnight the day of our flight at 6:30am! We got a hotel ($241.00), had to get another flight on Frontier for $591.00 (one way) because Southwest did not have another flight... and all they said was sorry! Never flying Southwest again! #southwestsucks Oh wait. They did reimburse us $128.98 X 2 for our flight!!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was on a Southwest Flight and another passenger was seat saving on a rather full flight. After being denied a seat I had to walk up and down the aisle to find a seat I could finally sit in. I complained to Southwest Customer Service and they told me that seat saving was a completely acceptable practice and that they don't enforce their open seat policy.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We flew Southwest from Dallas Love Field to Albuquerque, NM, all went well. Then at 3 am we receive a "flight Cancellation" notice via text. Sure Southwest will rebook your flight at no extra charge. BUT WHEN???? The next day, week, month or year? If you need to get back at the time you booked for, well that'll cost you "Extra"?!!! We will never Fly SW again. They don't really care. NO MORE SW!!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I went to the website and noticed I had Rapid Rewards miles. As such, I needed to book a return flight from LAS. They prompted me that I needed 2,000 pts to purchase the ticket with point. I bought the points and immediately the pts to buy the ticket also increased. I have never been so upset at an airline in my life. Called customer service and there was no resolution for my issue, no refund for the pts. Zero ** were given by their agents. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH NO RESOLUTION. I will never fly with them again. I hope they can sleep well at night knowing they are doing a terrible job.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My husband and I tried to book a vacation thru the website and found we cannot use my Southwest gift card. I have a $250 gift card and the only way I can use it is to book my flight and hotel separately which will increase my cost. I just don't understand why the idea of issuing gift cards that are not valid to use for vacation packages. Used to really love flying with Southwest but may have to rethink my choices.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I made a reservation then I cancelled it for personal reasons. They said I have one year to book my flight again. When I wanted to book my flight 5 months later, they said ALL MY TRAVEL FUNDS expired. I am so mad right now, when I called and asked for explanations they said, "We are sorry. The agent gave you a wrong information." Great, thank you very much for stealing my vacation from me.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Over the past couple of months several of my nonstop flights have been cancelled or delayed. Reason seem to vary as to why but the biggest one is plane maintenance. Really frustrating when it is the night before or early the morning of the flights. Makes it quite difficult to connect to different flights to make scheduled appointment. Ready to switch my Southwest card and airline choice to another airline as my preferred choice.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I took a returning flight from SJO to FLL yesterday with my 68 yr old father who has Parkinson's. When I got off the plane there was no assistance. It was a complete disaster trying to get through baggage, declarations, and customs. I booked my flight to SJO with Spirit Air, who clearly at booking gives option for Wheelchair Assistance. Everything on the Spirit flight went smoothly. Not the case at all with Southwest. It couldn't have gone worse. When I contacted Southwest customer service, I was completely dismissed and was told it was the airport's problem. I was also told I should have not used the app and booked online so I could drop down a box some place and choose Wheelchair assistance. Doesn't sound so handicap friendly. Regardless I arrived at the airport 3 hours before my flight so I could get this handled and was left on my own with my father who can walk far with consistent tremors and dementia. Customer service could care less.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Southwest expired my rapid rewards points without notice after 25 years of my loyalty. My mother is in hospice and I was going to book a flight to see her for Mother's Day. After waiting on hold for one hour and 17 minutes I was told by a supervisor (Kelly) that there was nothing they would do to help me recover points that they expired. When I posted about this experience on the Southwest Facebook page someone named Alec responded and at first stated that they provide email notices to warn people to prevent this from happening. When I pointed out that I had received no such warning, he then reverted to stating that the obligation to track expiration was solely the responsibility of the account owner.

Based upon this experience, I would not recommend Southwest to anyone. Twenty five years as a customer means nothing to Southwest. Setting aside that my Mother is dying and life is hectic and trying at times, taking something from me and then basically telling me I received notice when I didn't is inexcusable after 25 years. Delta Airlines would never do this to a long-standing customer, and I don't believe American Airlines would either. Herb would be very disappointed in what has happened to his company!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Southwest cancelled our flight due to plane issues, not weather as they first told us. They rebooked us on a different flight 2 days later. We had to foot the entire bill for 2 nights at a hotel and get transportation back to the hotel. Then on checking in to our new flight, 2 days later, we found that that flight had been cancelled again. They never even notified us. This left us entirely without a hotel again and no way to get home. I have work obligations that Southwest could care less about. I ended up spending an additional $1000 + to get a new flight, from a different airline, thank you JetBlue. I am completely dissatisfied with Southwest and I will be sure to let others know.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Our family had a direct flight on 4/27/19 at 4 pm. We chose a direct and early evening flight as we got back from our cruise that morning. As we got to the airport for departure, the attendant told us our flight was changed to an earlier flight (we were on cruise) and we had missed it. We NEVER were notified of this change because we would have told them that doesn’t work as we were on a cruise ship that early. They searched for other flights and there was none available, not even two hours away from where we live.

We had to wait until 4/29/19 at 10:30 at night. We had to pay for a rental, hotel and more food for two and a half days due to Southwest's error of not notifying us of a flight change. They said they will give us a voucher for a better experience and I said, "No thank you, I want reimbursement." At first, I only wanted my original flight reimbursed, not hotel and rental, but they refused and I submitted a BBB request. If that doesn’t work I will handle this in court. I will NEVER fly Southwest ever again!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Sadly, Southwest practices are unethical and I won't be flying with this airline again. The day I booked, I specifically shopped for a nonstop flight on various airlines. I could have booked a connecting flight for much less. However, we are traveling to my daughter's wedding with many bags of decorations, wedding clothes, etc., and we also wanted to avoid rechecking bags at a connection for an international flight, so we chose to pay more for a nonstop.

Now that Southwest is losing money for grounding the Max 8, they changed our flight to a connecting flight without any compensation and refusing to change our flight to a nonstop out of a different airport. We are losing the money we could have had if we had bought a connecting fare in the first place and if take the option of canceling, we lose money on the fare increase since booking. So Southwest wins this round. But we will not be flying Southwest again due to this bait and switch unethical way of doing business.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I understand I am suppose to check in 1 hr before my international flight to Jamaica. For some reason I was very sick the morning of my flight. I got to the airport 50 mins before the flight and they would not allow to check my luggage. I had already checked in. But the supervisor said no. Interesting the flight was to departed at 10:40 but did not depart on time. I suppose I should be happy that they put me on a flight the following day. I will make every effort not to travel with this airline again.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Our family had flights booked since Oct. 2018 and on April 10 (28 days before leaving) our return flight got cancelled. When attempting to rebook they had no nonstop flights avail. and with a disabled child we cannot do connecting. I cancelled our return flight only and the customer service lady cancelled both flights!! I then had to call back to get my going out flight back and ended up spending $636.00 extra to book a returning flight with another airline. To make matters worse it took them 2 weeks to refund my flight and to this date I still have not received my early bird refund. I called SW to see if I could partially reimburse any of our extra expenses since this was not our fault and they could care less.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Southwest does not disclose the fees of $100 for unused travel vouchers that are expiring. I made a ticket with unused travel funds that were about to expire. I had to make a change of travel dates and was informed by the Southwest ticket representative that I could request an extension of six months. I was told explicitly that there is no fee for doing this. But when it came time to make the extension, they charge a fee of $100 for both the unused funds used and another $100 for the new ticket. What was once a credit of $360 of available unused funds became $160. I emailed Southwest three times and after weeks of delay, the representative was unwilling to stand by their commitment to transparency or to honor what they initially told me that there was no cost for extending the time to use travel funds.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Southwest canceled our SFO flight to Burbank due to mechanical problems 5 minutes before the boarding of the flight and didn't want to provide additional ways to get the people home. In fact, they finally said we will transport us by shuttle to Oakland and give us a 200 dollar voucher. However once we got to baggage claim to get our bag back the lady in baggage claim was just downright rude to us. Then she said there wasn't enough shuttles to get us to Oakland for our new flight they were routing us on. So I wanted to get home and I took a cab to Oakland which cost me 129 dollars!! Southwest didn't want to do anything for this and were leaving us in a lurch. I got to Oakland and that flight was delayed a half an hour. So frustrating. I finally made it home around midnight. I complained to Southwest customer service after the fact and they said they would give me another $150 voucher.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Unreasonably long customer service phone wait times, HORRIBLE guidance from agents. Was told to wait to change flight while they researched hotel credit to just cut the trip I booked short by one day. In the meantime they never called back and when I tried again same Subterfuge play. They wouldn't provide any *transparency* regarding hotel fees and by the time I realized they were NEVER going to get back to me despite multiple agents promising they would, the fees to change the flights went up significantly. I will NEVER book with them again--just absolutely AWFUL treatment.

Original review: April 15, 2019

April 14, 2019 Flight 2839 from Philadelphia to St. Louis. Departure time scheduled -1:05 pm. Actual department time - 2:05. Pilot restricted movement within the cabin for "turbulence". Turbulence was never bad. Pilot wouldn't allow flight staff to offer drinks or snacks. I was bothered that much of what we pay for (service), was too easily denied all passengers. I was bothered that the service staff had the afternoon off at our expense. We paid for them to provide service to us, and they didn't offer any service. It makes me think that Southwest is trying to increase profit margins by denying snacks and drinks. I can be reached at ** for explanations, apologies and refunds. Dan **. Very disgusted with the service today. I will try to avoid Southwest Airlines.

Original review: March 30, 2019

It's been 11 days since I've sent Southwest an email about a terrible experience and I have yet to receive a call to discuss the disrespect and lack of professionalism from one of their boarding agents Kayla at the St. Louis airport on March 19th to LAX. I purchased the early bird for all three of us, my wife, son and myself (assigned seating is way better like other airlines) which means that I paid for a middle seat for my son, but I was OK with that.

My wife and I got A27 & A28, but my son got A40 which doesn't make sense, So we attempted to board together since he is type 1 diabetic, the agent had a fit, I said I could have gotten him a pre-boarding pass being that he is diabetic. She replied "Then go out, get one and get out of this line." I said, "I don't need to do that now, you are boarding A27 and A28," then my wife said she can wait with my son, so I then said to the very young inexperienced rude agent who is a terrible representation of Southwest, "My wife can wait for 11 people to go through then she can meet me inside." Kayla then said " Sir don't talk to me that way abruptly." I was confused and shocked with her rudeness!

As I proceeded to board the plane, I said to her, "I will be leaving a review, you are very inconsiderate!" She then interrupts the boarding process, runs down the area before you enter the plane and said "You need to go talk to a supervisor now. You cannot board." I said, "I don't need to talk to anyone now, I need to board and secure my seats that I paid for," she said "Absolutely not and I will not board your wife and son."

I know she is young, but WOW, the abuse of position is the worst I have ever seen. She was in my face the with the worst attitude and demanded that I leave until I speak to a supervisor, so I walked out and waited, the supervisor showed up and I explained. He was surprised and asked me, "Why can't you board?" I said, "She won't let us," he then asked her, "What number are you on?" She said, "Almost done with A." He said, "You can board and I am sorry for issue" and seemed confused as to what happened.

I asked for her name, she didn't give it for a while, but I waited for the supervisor to ask her to give me her name. I am 52 years old and I fly 2-3 every month, I have never experienced anything like this before! What a terrible display of bad manners and disrespect. I fly many airlines, I wouldn't expect this from any other airline and especially from Southwest. They used to be the funny airline, but that stopped about 3 years ago and lost their touch and now for me they are in the same category of United Airlines with respect to treatment. I will go back and start using Delta and American sometimes. No one needs to treated like this, we all have many choices and Southwest continues to go backwards while others are getting better!

Original review: March 29, 2019

Southwest has turned into the worst airline. 3 of my last 4 flights have been delayed for maintenance. I will do my best to make sure none of my family or friends fly southwest again. It’s a horrible experience.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information