Southwest Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Best airline business model ever. Southwest airline has been consistently great to travel with. The prices are reasonable, service is excellent, don't charge for bags or peanuts or sodas. They really know how to put the customer first unlike Frontier or American. I don't fly anything else.

On 6/20/17 in Atlanta GA airport, I was in the Southwest Airlines wheelchair holding area. I'm a disabled vet and unable to walk the distance of the airport, due to my fibromyalgia. The airline was short with people to push those awaiting in the area. One couple was within 30 minutes of their flight leaving, so they had to go before me. I also suffer from anxiety, so now I have 40 minutes before my flight leaves, and I have to go through security. My heart began to beat fast. I asked the Southwest lady in charge of the holding area was anyone coming, because I wasn't going to make my flight. She was receiving no response on her hand radio and stated that she didn't know where everyone was and again that they were short of employees.

I was afraid now that I would miss My flight, so I had no choice but to try and get there myself. I was crying and my arms still ache. I literally had a panic attack in the Atlanta airport. I have unable to sleep. Don't know if I can get on a plane again. This is the third problem I've had with Southwest relating to my disabilities. They offered me a $100 LUV Voucher for this incident, but I refused to take it. That can't solve the setback they have placed in my life. Luckily for me a kind lady came along and with the help of another airport employee, I got to my gate. Then after all of that they changed the gate, had to get a flight crew and we had no refreshments. Here I am a practically homebound vet who visits her family for a month about 3 times a year; now Southwest Airlines has taken it away. You see it's too painful to ride in a vehicle for 8 hours from Virginia.

My husband and I had a flight from Pittsburgh (PIT) to Orlando FL (MCO) on June 25, 2017 and a return flight schedule for June 29 from Orlando to Pittsburgh but due to my brother passing away on June 18, 2017 I contacted Southwest and had our return trip changed to June 30, 2017 so we could be at my brother’s memorial service. The attendant that I spoke with was very kind, understanding and helpful. I always buy the early bird seating due to the fact that I am claustrophobic and try to get a seat up front as possible without paying for Business class rates.

When I went on the computer to check in our seating group was B39 and B40 which I thought strange. So I contacted Southwest. At first the attendant tried to say I did not pay for early bird seating but after 20 minutes on hold she came back and confirmed I had paid for early bird seating. I requested that she move me to a different group and position which she said was impossible but she would refund my $30.00. I tried to explain that I was claustrophobic that didn't seem to make a difference to her. She advised me if I wanted to board the plane I would have to board at B39 and B40 positions. We did just that. After boarding began I stayed at the A60 position and inquired with every one as to whether they had paid for early bird seating and it was not until A27 that any one in line had paid for early bird seating.

On Monday July 3, 2017 I contacted Southwest with my complaint and was told the only thing they could do was refund my $30.00. If I had been willing to pay an additional $40.00 a ticket they could have moved us to Business class. Now the problem with that is if I hadn't called to complain about the seating position in the first place they would have just kept my $30.00 and I would have not gotten anything for that $30.00 and paid an additional $80.00 totaling $110.00 for something that should have cost me $30.00.

My suggestion to anyone buying Southwest EARLY BIRD SEATING be certain that you are getting what you pay for. Make sure you call if you get a high group number or a high seating position because my ticket I printed out stated it was EARLY BIRD SEATING. I sent Southwest an email stating these facts and received a email form Wayne ** Customer Relations/Rapid Reward to please contact them. I called and spoke to Malory in customer relations and advised me that the only thing they would do was refund my $30.00 because I complained and since I had check with other passengers could prove that I did not get what I had paid for. BUYER BEWARE.

I made a reservation through Southwest Vacations and cancelled it online the following day. When I checked to make sure it was cancelled, I was informed I had to mail in a cancellation and that only the hotel portion would be refunded. I would have to have a credit for the airline portion. In addition, they indicated it would take up to 2 months to receive the refund. This is resulting in having my funds tied up for too long. I will never use them again.

I responded to a published complaint in USA Today. It seems that a same-sex couple with three children were denied preferred 'family' boarding by a gate agent and then again by a supervisor. They were legally married and there is no indication that their behavior was anything out of the normal. My online complaint began 'Say it isn't so!' and proceeded to ask if there was any misrepresentations or errors in the news story. We all know that news articles are not always entirely accurate. The letter was not accusing, rather I wanted to hear their side of the story. I waited the 30 days they said I might have to wait for a reply (they were very busy) and received no communication. I called them and quoted the computer generated reference number they sent by automated email. This is where the fun began.

First, put on hold for about 10 minutes, then the agent returned and said, essentially the situation had been settled and considered closed. He couldn't tell me how it had been settled, citing confidentiality. Ok, I get that. He considered the conversation over. I pressed him on the question of whether this had been policy. He said no but would not discuss policy. I again pressed him as to whether the news story had been accurate. He said there were things that were not included but declined to say what they were. At this point I told him that his answers were of absolutely no help in the situation. As I am planning summer travel I intend to vote with my credit card for the airline I have confidence in. It will not be Southwest. In the end, this complaint is less about the couple denied preferential boarding, rather it is about the complete and dismissive attitude by the airline's 'Customer Service.'

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

I have been flying Southwest Airlines for over 30 years and even own a lot of stock which hurts me to write this but this airline is getting worst. Never schedule a flight into/out of Dallas. After having problems the last 4x in Dallas, this last one took the cake and their measly $100 I'm sorry hush money just wont cut it. They claimed mechanical problems yet forgot to tell the passenger who remained on the plane waiting for the departure until after everyone exited the plane. This gave us zero time to figure out other plans. After 45 min we noticed our same plane boarding others. When asked I was offered $100 and a five hour wait/delay.

Put on standby and then noticed my name going from 10-20-30-40-50 on the list. When asked, all a listers are given first regardless of where they are going. 2 people who I know checked in after I did and are not A-listers but sweet talked an agent and she bumped them ahead of most. When I brought this up, I was given some song and dance. I've flown for over 30 yrs with SWA and these people fly 1x per ten years. I guess I will be taking my business elsewhere until SWA starts being truthful. But until then, many other Airlines to choose from.

I recently flew on one of SW Airlines' new interior designed aircrafts. The most uncomfortable flight I've ever been on. The seat design is horrible. Why would you make the seats smaller with thinner cushions??? The excuse of less weight is absolutely ridiculous. You could cut weight elsewhere. The arm rests are completely worthless.

The new air duct design is also absolutely horrible. They produce practically NO air flow. I've been flying, almost weekly for over 12 years and this is the worst designed interior aircraft I've ever seen. It looks good, sure, but is uncomfortable beyond belief and makes no sense. Whoever designed this, needs to go back to school and pull their heads out of the ground. The people who approved this should be ashamed. I would bet they don't fly on these aircrafts. I cannot believe Southwest Airlines would approve this garbage. Absolutely ridiculous. A very loyal but looking at other options Southwest customer.

I purchased a round trip ticket from Indy to Kansas City for business. On the way to meet my flight in Indy, we had a flat tire and missed the flight. Having never missed a flight before, I was unaware I had to contact the airline, and since we were frantically trying to drive the 500 miles from Indy to Kansas City anyway, it wasn't the top concern in my mind.

After my week long business in KC was completed, I tried to use the second leg of my trip and was told that Southwest had taken my money AND cancelled the return flight. Stranded in KC, I had to pay $320 of my own money to get home. I tried repeatedly to call their customer service line and was told all five times that the wait was over one hour for a representative. When I finally got hold of Southwest, they flatly refused to refund my money or to even give me credit towards a future flight, so I ended up paying $748 for one leg of a 500 mile flight. A company that cares this little about PR or customer satisfaction is no company that I will do business with in the future.

Booking a roundtrip flight, I clicked on the flights I wanted and clicked to the next screen to pay. Once I had entered my credit card information and finalized my purchase was given an error screen due to "pricing changes." The system would not let me proceed with my purchase and instead I had to go back and re-select my flights, upon which the price of my first flight had increased by about 45%. I called to complain and all I received was "Oh, someone must have purchased the last flight at that price." Great way to upset your customers. You shouldn't offer a price and then in the middle of the purchase say "Oh sorry we can't offer that price anymore." Also been burned by Southwest in that any inclement weather and they shut down their flights. Been stranded overnight in an airport with all that was offered as compensation was a $100 travel voucher. Compensation and response to issues on their side has been very weak. They are losing my business.

Southwest's customer service when boarding and while on the plane was above and beyond. They're very pleasant. However, their airline is not as nice or clean as expected. I assumed the flight would have been slightly cleaner and more well maintained but they have ripped seats, dirty floors, seats, and walls.

I truly had a wonderful experience with this airline. The purchase of the tickets were easy and I got a good deal on them. The food they served was actually very good too. I was very impressed. The customer service was actually great. All of the flight attendants were very nice. They came by often asking all of the passengers if they needed anything and if they were comfortable. I think they went above and beyond to make sure we were all doing well. But at the time I flew, they didn't really have a huge option for those who had different food intolerances. Also, I didn’t like the amount of time spent before finally taking off and the layovers. It's not easy to find something to do for a few hours while waiting for the next flight. Other than that, I would highly recommend them.

Bought tickets on line and boarding were easy. Pretty much sat wherever you wanted and I liked it very much. No extra fees and had a snack on plane. Very enjoyable. All the employees were professional, very nice and helpful throughout the trip. Only complaint I might of had was the long layover in Chicago and the distance between my terminals in Chicago. But, I’m not even sure that was southwest problem or the airport itself.

Southwest is one of our top three airlines to fly. We enjoy their good prices. First two bags are free and they have competitive fares and more nonstop flights. Their staff seem more at ease and casual than other airlines. Open seating can get stressful even though we arrived early to our flight for boarding passes. We were the last on the plane and had to sit separately on our honeymoon.

The experience was good. I bought the ticket online, and had no issues. Checkin for the flight went smoothly. The employees I interacted with were very friendly and helpful. The plane seemed clean. Everything ran on time for my flight. I slept most of the flight itself so I didn’t get any refreshments during the flight. Luggage fees were reasonable. However, the seats have almost no leg room, and very little side to side space. Also, I wish they had routes to more airports. Pretty much the same thing I dislike about any airline.

The check-in time wasn't bad and the security was fine. It wasn’t a bad flight. I wish that they would allow people to carry more than one piece of luggage and I wish that they had more legroom in their coach. Also their food could be better and the bathrooms could be just slightly bigger

I booked Southwest Airlines business class flight ticket on 6/10/2017 from San Jose to Virginia. There is one stop i.e Denver. The flight from Denver should take off at 06:00 pm, and it was delayed for 2 hours. I went to Southwest gate and asked to check-in me in an early flight due to my emergency, then they gave me a flight ticket to Baltimore and they took it back and said that they can't offer me. Without my permission the front officer changed the ticket, then after a few minutes they told me it was overbooked, and said they don't have the ticket no more for that flight. I didn't expect these from Southwest Airlines.

Nowadays I think the Southwest is maintaining some qualities and standards, but they were following same as different airlines like United. The front desk women were very rude on me and I was totally blanked that why she was doing like that. Whenever I traveled by Southwest it was a good experience, but this time I was felt very unhappy and very disappointed. So, please try to not cheat customers like giving flight ticket once to customers and don't take it back from them. It makes us hurt and disappointed. And I missed my important work too.

My overall experience was always positive. I never had to deal with any delays, outrageous fees or anything negative. Customer service was always pleasant and buying a ticket is quick and easy. My absolute favorite thing about Southwest when I fly is there is no layover. Where I usually fly, most other airlines stop in Atlanta before continuing. I love that Southwest doesn't and would happily pay more for a ticket just because of that. As with most airlines in the current time, amenities for coach passengers have gone downhill. Years ago I would get a couple snacks and a full can of soda. Now I'm lucky if I can get an ice cube in my tiny drink. However, since my flights are rarely longer than a couple hours, it's absolutely tolerable.

The tickets are so easy access, staffs are very friendly and approachable. The food are okay and most of the services they provide. They know what you need, how to provide them and how to solve in case you have a problem. I can recommend this company to my friends and relatives.

It was a pleasant experience the first several times we flied with Southwest, however, the last two times we flew with them, the planes felt a bit dirty and the flight attendants were less than stellar. All but one were impolite or generally unhelpful. We used to love the value, the flight attendants and the fun attitude - especially if you were flying at night. We used to seek out Southwest flights when possible.

They made it know what the extra fees were. That way none of them would be a surprise to us and on the flight everything was good customer service wise. I like the flight attendants and the way people are respectful. I also like the cleanliness of not only the airport but also the plane as well. However I don't like how they don't really have a good system when it comes to boarding. It seemed to me like everyone just pushes and shoves to get onto the plane first.

We experienced no difficulties on our flight. We arrived quickly and without event to our destination. We experienced good service and personnel that conducted themselves in a pleasant and professional manner. The only negative thing I would have to say is that the flight was extremely crowded and the plane small.

Enjoyed Southwest. I felt that the Cost and that the times of flights were good. Also, direct flights were available which was important to us. Comfortable seating and economic flights, luggage and baggage was good, and kid friendly, as well. However, it did not seem that they have all the television movies and complimentary services that Jet Blue had provided for us on similar flights.

It was a very pleasant experience. The food and drinks were great and service is just excellent. A lot of friendly people to chat with also. The flight attendants were professional and friendly. They made us all comfortable about flying. Also the pilots were very helpful as well as professional. The bathrooms were clean which is a plus. The accommodations were nice. I had a wonderful time. Everything was just right. Very nice people to travel with and they make you want to fly Southwest again.

I love the internet pricing as it is usually the best price. Purchased online and picked up at the airport. Counter was helpful and moved the line quickly. The staff is friendly and professional. I enjoyed the availability ever since Southwest came to Atlanta. The only issue I had was leg room but I'm 6'4" and have learned to cope.

Southwest is my favorite airline for sure! The employees seem happy and relaxed. I like the free checked baggage, seems like they are not nickel and diming customers. I also like the boarding process much better than other airlines. I like having control over where I sit. However, when I forget to get boarding passes early I don't like being in last boarding group especially if traveling with kids. Also, wish snacks were better and wifi free.

Southwest is easy and convenient, from buying tickets to finding convenient flight times. I like the low airfare and the fact that I never had a flight that was late or delayed more than a few minutes. Flights to Houston ran every 30 minutes during peak times. Refreshments are adequate and customer service has always been good. Also, flight attendants are kind and funny. I dislike the cattle-cart boarding. It is difficult to be one of the first groups to board, and if you are flying with others, you sometimes cannot sit together. Trying to find room for a carry-on becomes quite difficult too.

My overall experience was positive. The online page for Southwest is easy to access and navigate and so is the mobile app. It was easy to purchase a ticket online as well as use the online check-in process. The staff were attentive on the plane and gave A+ service. Southwest offers some very good deals throughout the year and this is nice for booking trips for the year. Also the boarding process is very innovative. The airline does a great job with keeping to a schedule and ensuring the plane departs on time. I like the speediness of which the planes are serviced and made ready for the next flight. However, I don't like how the boarding is like winning the lottery when it comes to getting into a boarding group. Sometimes you can't sit with members of your family or friends. Also, I wish they flew to more destinations.

There are so many things I enjoy about Southwest Airlines. Cheaper fees is what I like the most. Next I enjoy the upbeat staff, pilot, flight attendants. Southwest is one of my favorite airlines. However, I dislike the seating. If you are with more than one other person it is difficult to get seats next to each other when boarding since it is all first come first serve. But overall fun, exciting and comfortable.

I like Southwest because of their cheap fares. Who doesn't like cheap flights. Also, their online club they have gives discounts to a lot of things. The customer service is also good. I dislike the fact that Southwest Airlines charge so much to check bags in. They were the cheapest and they were like that because they made their money by charging so much for bags checked. The lines to check in are always long. They should give training on how to swiftly and accurately check customers in. Also, they have basic refreshments. They should offer their club members better refreshments and should have real food.

Southwest has always been my choice for business trips from SF Bay Area to Tucson. I generally buy my tickets online and if I am on a dinner flight they accommodate my dietary needs as a diabetic. I rarely deal with customer service outside of the flight attendants as I have yet to have problems with fees or rebooking as a general rule. I liked the lower airfares and the frequency of flights and friendly employees and attentive customer service. I find the online site to be very useful as I live in a rural area and can take care of my needs before I go to the airport. However, planes were a bit crowded, not much legroom and distance between seats. I would have liked better seating configurations. The flights I took were full and it was difficult at times to get to the restroom. But it was pleasant enough for domestic and business flights.

Compare Airlines