2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (1691 ratings)

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: March 31, 2021

I hadn’t flown in years, so I was a little anxious, and on top of coronavirus, we had to sit accordingly, and I have extra weight on me so it was hard to sit in a seat with minimal leg room for 2 hours! (Doesn’t sound like your ideal flight does it?) But the airline attendees were fantastic, they just went on doing everything normally and catering to all of our needs. I felt very relaxed with them showing us they were in charge and assured of our flight! And the trip home was even better! I had no one next to me and sat by the exit in the middle for that extra leg room! Would recommend def!

Original review: March 27, 2021

Southwest Airlines is one of the top airlines that I trust. Their customer service is unmatched. I always feel safe and secure when traveling with them. In having a peanut and tree nut allergy, they always provide a snack that I am able to enjoy without compromising my health. Their employees ensure that all of my questions are answered and they always enforce safety precautions. I love having the ability to bring 2 carry on bags for free. It is a very convenient and reasonable service that other airlines do not offer. The various ticket options are budget friendly and hassle free. Whether you are a first time flyer or a frequent flyer, Southwest Airlines is the way to go!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Southwest (SWA) is the REAL DEAL! I have flown almost every American Airline Company and Southwest have continue to offer more deals and ways to please their customers. I genuinely appreciate the complimentary baggage offer and not putting this financial burden of their customers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. My family has felt very welcome and safe for decades traveling with SWA. I wish I could have the pleasure to work with such an awesome company with co-workers that has fun personalities as they do! They are truly "Fly the friendly skies" in my family hearts... Way to go and thank you Southwest Airlines!

Original review: March 18, 2021

Love Southwest Airline, from the FREE checked baggage, to the excellent Customer Service received at every point from the Station to inflight. I like that their website has no hidden fees, and seats are chosen as you board, so the earlier you check-in within 24 hours of your flight then the earlier you board to find your seat. You can also pay for “early-bird" check in at a fee of $15-$25 per person per segment. I feel safe flying with Southwest, as a employee owned business I believe not only do they go that extra mile, but their planes are maintained

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I flew Southwest twice in the past month having never used them in the past. This was my first experience. I have to say that with everything going on in our world, they made the experience so comfortable and easy to handle. From the first moment you enter the plane until exit, they treat you like family. I love love love the humor when making announcements. We all need humor. Once attendant said yesterday that, "We love you, but we don't trust you so we will be checking all your seatbelts." LOL. The pilots were so kind on the announcements too. It was just a very pleasant trip during a tough time in our world. THANK YOU!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I used to LOVE Southwest Airlines above all other companies. From the first moments I walked into the baggage line to the plane ride. It was top notch customer service. I even use their credit card. Last year I started noticing a decline in their kindness, but I chalked it up to Covid. It’s been hard year on us all. The last straw was a couple weeks ago (my third trip on Southwest this summer). I had come into the check in baggage line in Reagan DC airport. I checked my bag in at the Kiosk and promptly got in line to give to the lady at desk. There was two lines to choose from, neither was marked clearly so I assumed (as others did) it didn’t matter which one we got into.

After over a hour wait in our line and feeling very anxious that I was going to miss my plane. There was a lady two people in front of me was being yelled at by TWO Southwest employees because she had used the kiosk and the line she stood in was for full service only. They made her go to other side and re get in line that was wrapped around three times. The Southwest man was non sympathetic to her pleas and the-other coworker was saying hateful remarks behind him. This lady left crying and I’m sure missed her flight. I now just realized and in a panic cause I self checked my bags at kiosk too and was so scared to face the attendant. I walk up to her and she nastily says “I really wish YOU people would wait to be called”. And then realized I had tagged my bag. She glared at me and says “Did you not just see what happened to the other lady?” And she continued to berate me and be very insulting while taking my bags.

I got the impression I should of been grateful to her for taking my bag (I did do half her job. All she had to do was take my damn bag.). She let me go through. But I was almost in tears. By the time I got through security I walked right up to my terminal and asked the south west guy standing at gate, if they had boarded yet? He could hardly bring himself to lift his head from his phone and mumbled no. But everyone lined up a min later. The flight was ok. No complaints once on plane. I am completely disappointed, and hurt by this airline. Plane tickets aren’t cheap, it’s stressful to travel anyways, and to be treated like dog poop from the company you used to love sooo much. Is just too much. I am about throw in my credit card and towel into this airline and find another.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I flew from Denver to San Jose Ca. It was a pleasure from checking in to boarding the plane, flight was on time, airplane was very clean and flight attendants pure pleasure. I am 75 years old female and love to fly. Will recommend Southwest to my family and friends,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

They do not care about your safety. They did not intervene regarding a threat to my life. I complained and they arrogantly ignored it. They care less about passenger security. Do not fly with them. Never again will I fly with them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

The flight attendants are passive aggressive and are very short when answering questions. I asked zero questions, asked for literally nothing from them and they were still rude. I felt super bad for the passengers who ACTUALLY needed ANYTHING. The flights are constantly delayed and the plane is always hot. The ventilation was awful. They overbook and cram people together. Just pure hell. I used to love them. Now I will never fly again with them. Also the whole pick your own seat thing is not a perk! People cut in line all the time.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I gave one star cause we landed.. Horrible. First we leave late...30 minutes late. Then we land and the scheduling geniuses can’t get to our gate. So we sit in our destination for 50 minutes and counting waiting for a gate to open?? Who’s running this idiot squad? They have now caused me to miss two different busses. Ps all of this is still going on now!! Like I’m still on the plain!!! I’ll probably miss the third bus too!!

Southwest Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information