3.40/5
Based on 290 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1209 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Upon my arrival at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta from Las Vegas, I had retrieve my luggage from baggage claim and when I got to the shuttle to pick me up and I loaded my luggage into the shuttle I noticed a big rip on the top of my luggage and also a tear about 2 in long on the side of my luggage. Now mind you that I am in a hurry to get to the shuttle in time so it does not leave me to get to my motel. So by time I noticed the tear and the rip on my luggage and by the time I had time to call them, I was outside of the 4-Hour window they only give you to call them and file a complaint. Which I did not know because I do not travel that often.

So they will not honor replacing or repairing my bag because it was outside of the 4-Hour window and I do not see this as being fair when someone who doesn't travel does not know these things. So now I'm stuck with a Brand New Bag that has been ripped and poor because of the mishandling of baggage handlers at the airport. Needless to say my first flight was with Delta and I had no problem or issues with them at all. My second flight was with Southwest and obviously I'm having issues. So needless to say I will not be flying Southwest ever again. I don't care how cheap the flights may be. Now I see why it is because they don't hold up to their word or anything honorable.

Original review: June 18, 2018

A huge thank you to Southwest for helping me with problem and request. Both were solved within hours with a most polite response with no further questions asked. Best attitude and prompt response ever experienced with a big corporation.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

They treat the passengers with respect and humor. The seating is not assigned and that can be a good thing. I do not like having to pay extra to insure seating with my children.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am very disappointed at Southwest customer service and will NEVER fly with them again unless they change protocols. My coworker and I had a work function to attend in New York City from 5/29/18-5/30/18 and fly home the morning of 6/1/18. We get to Midway 3 hours beforehand, check our bags and wait to board. Finally get on the plane to be told that our flight will be delayed 1 hour for fog issues in New York. The flight attendees told us we could get off the plane or wait on the plane until we take off, so we decided to wait. No less than 5 min later the crew crassly said, "Your flight is cancelled. Get off the plane and go see customer service." We promptly left and stood in a line for 45 min to be told all flights to New York were canceled and where did we want to fly to. I asked what is the closest airport to NYC, she said, "I don’t know," and again, "Where do you want to fly".

Thankfully I had overheard another couple saying Philadelphia and it was a two hour drive to the city so I said just that. I SPECIFICALLY asked about our bags and she took our confirmation number for our bags which by the way were under 1 confirmation number. She PROMISED me our bags would be delivered to Philadelphia airport. This was again over a two hour delay past the time of boarding our first flight so we wait finally get on the plane and land. We go to baggage claim in Philadelphia and prior to the carousel starting I head straight to customer service to ask if they could check to see if our bags made it. I wish I would have taken the lady's name because she was one of the nastiest people I spoke to throughout this ordeal. She said in the most negative, rude tone, after I asked her politely if she would be able to track our bags, she said, "Uh wait until the carousel starts. It will be on the carousel.”

Ok then, I walked right out and stood waiting and waiting and WAITING!! Finally when there was no luggage left I went right back to the woman who was incompetent who literally would not speak to me and she waved me to someone else who just got into the office to assist me instead. This lady was a bit nicer however I asked could she check to see where our luggage was or to at least call Midway airport for me. She gave us a number and said, "Nothing I can do. Your bags probably went to LaGuardia airport." I asked if we needed a claim number or to file a complaint. She said no. So off we went without anything and guess what? Best part was we couldn’t even rent a car because the car rental service was having problems letting people drive into New York from Philadelphia.

Well then, we had no choice but to take a Lyft that cost 160 dollars not including the fare we were charged for the E-ZPass which was another 30 dollars. This took us three hours to get from Philadelphia to New York City. Mind you throughout the whole drive my coworker and I were on the phone constantly trying to figure out ourselves as to how we were going to get our bags since we had both called LaGuardia and Philadelphia airports, left messages personally to leave a complaint and speak to managers... which no one ever called me back about. Surprise, surprise! No one ever called back from Philadelphia and we spoke to a woman from LaGuardia two hours later stating she didn’t receive our luggage. Well now I’m really mad. Why can’t anyone figure this out. How hard is this to find luggage?!?

Finally I found a number and called for lost luggage that was not affiliated with the airports just customer care of Southwest. The one woman we spoke to who was the most helpful was Tammie. She was great and actually tried calling all airports to figure out where our luggage may be. She did give us information after we were on the phone for a good 35 min, that my luggage was at Midway but my coworker's luggage was still MIA. Finally some answers although as to how this mishap happened no ** clue. Awesome, she said she would personally make sure my luggage had notes stating that mine was to travel on the next flight to LaGuardia airport while we needed to keep calling LaGuardia to see if we could get answers as she couldn’t get a hold of anyone there. Interesting how people that work for Southwest Airlines can’t get ahold of others who ALSO WORK for the same company.

Nonetheless that is what we did. After leaving two voicemails and calling multiple times we finally received a call to state that there was a plane that just landed from Chicago to LaGuardia and to call back in 30min to see if it arrived. First of all that’s nice however... why don’t you call me back and give me the common courtesy to check on this situation for me. Really... Ok. My coworker calls back, leaves a message and they finally respond stating yes they have her bag. They said they can deliver it which this was around 5pm now. So this was agreed that it would be delivered to the hotel. We arrive to our hotel, and miss our first meeting (thank you Southwest for so far the worst experience and for us missing part of our work conference... Excellent service (sarcasm).

I call multiple times again to make sure my bag was on a plane but my conversations all ended the same saying, "We can’t promise it will get there but call the airport at 845 pm to see if it arrived." I waited and finally called for them to tell me the flight was delayed and call back after 945pm. So my coworker and I did. Her bag never was sent for delivery and mine was yet to be confirmed at the airport but whomever I spoke to on the last phone call was by far the rudest ** I have ever encountered over the phone and I wish I would have taken her name down. She had so much attitude by telling me that she would charge me a delivery fee for my bag and my coworkers bag. Are you out of your ** mind... Your company lost my luggage and shipped my coworker's to the wrong airport. Why the hell would I ever pay for your company's incompetence?

She kept arguing with me and I asked to speak to her manager which ironically enough never happened. She came back on the phone and in her stupid sarcastic tone said, "We will do this as a courtesy IF your bag arrives otherwise it will cost you." As if it was my fault. Like I planned for this to happen, long story short my luggage did come but shocker I had to call again for validation. Our luggage arrived at 7am the next morning and thankfully not charged!!! This lady also failed to mention we would receive an email to confirm shipment and she’s lucky we were still awake at 11pm to complete this portion. I am disappointed at the whole company, minus Tammie who was a sweetheart and actually tried to help us. Everyone else has either no answers, rude, or just plain nasty human beings. Who are you hiring and why can’t you figure it out as we are not in the Stone Age anymore.

Furthermore, I want my coworker to be compensated for having to purchase a Lyft from Philadelphia to New York City along with reimbursing for our flights as this was the most traumatizing experience. Oh and I didn’t even mention we had to go BUY clothes and toiletries because we had no luggage... 140 dollars later as again we were there for business and guess what business attire requires suits!!! Thanks for the crappiest service ever humanly imaginable... Keep it up. Also if I don’t hear from corporate or a manager in regards to this I will be taking this up higher. Best part is I was in customer service before and the customer is always right. They are paying you to have a job. So maybe you should reiterate that to your staff. If maybe I had more of a pleasant experience I wouldn’t be so bitter but unfortunately Southwest left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I purchased two plane tickets for my son and his girlfriend as a high school graduation present. My son lives in MD with this dad and wanted to come visit us for a week before college starts. I never booked tickets or flights before, so I ended up booking two getaway tickets in May for the 2nd week of July 2018. My son called me this morning and told me that they would not be able to come down, and with college starting in the fall, he doesn't think they will be able to come down until sometime next year. I cancelled the reservations and called the number listed on the Southwest Airlines website to get a refund. The representative was so rude to me and flat out told me can't get my money back because these reservations were booked in May. REALLY???!

The money I paid with to get these tickets were supposedly applied to some account for "future flights"??? News flash there isn't going to be any future flights, so instead of my money being put into an account that is NOT going to be used, Give me back my money. I am NOT going to have my money floating around out there somewhere. Ya'll may not care about it, but this is $639.00 I worked extra extra hours at my job for to save and get the money together to purchase the tickets for them as a graduation gift! So yeah this means a lot to me and I WANT MY FULL REFUND!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: May 31, 2018

Southwest has been professional, funny, and accommodating. I particularly appreciate being able to change flights without being punished and being able to board with a husband who has a handicap without any problems.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I like Southwest. The best of all the airlines I have fly before. However, I do not like now that although I have not used them in the last year even though I have travel and they delete all my miles. That is not fair, as I think I should delete all the money I paid for it to fly them. Something you earn should not be taken away just like that specially if you were planning on taking advantage of the miles later.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I like this airline. They have a great plan for loading. Also, I like when the plane is not full and they let you spread out in the plane. It seems to be customer friendly too.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I booked a flight to go from Phoenix to Orange County for about $300 per person and I bought tickets for all three of my family (when you could drive there for less than that). I realized I forgot to add my lap baby and so I called into reservations who informed me he would have to remove all three of us from the flight to add the lap baby and I said "okay." Well what he FAILED to mention was that he changed the flight from a wanna get away flight to an anytime flight and charged my card $37 more per person. So that was problem #1.

Problem #2, I changed the flight to return a different day and the cost was $177 more total and I had to call in to reservations to make the change because I couldn't do it online because of the lap baby and then talked with my hubby and decided to just keep the flight the same so called back and changed back to the previous flight but was told the $177 could not be used for refund just a CREDIT good for 1 year. I told them no one informed me of this and I literally had only changed the flight less than 1 hour ago. They said "There is nothing we can do" and pawned me off onto customer relations in which I have to call in the morning and stress about it when I have to work that day.

I used to really like Southwest and maybe in the last 5 years they have made so many changes and in my opinion aren't customer service driven anymore. If I don't get refunded the $111 I was not even told was being charged or the $177 I wasn't informed unable to refund I will go higher and definitely never ever fly them again. And make sure none of my family or friends do as well.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I really like that they don't charge me for changing my flight plans and for how much my bag weighs. Also, the in-flight crew are very comedic.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Good ticketing office, employees and value for the money. Plane info is good and flight attendants trained well. Nice clean plane and on flight snack ok.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I only fly with Southwest. I love that they have no penalty for flight changes. No charge for baggage and not having a preassigned seat has never been a problem.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Southwest Airlines is a good reliable company. Customer oriented, friendly, and trustworthy. I am satisfied with them and wish they had more nonstop flights from Cleveland.

Original review: May 24, 2018

On a recent flight from Austin to Las Vegas, I checked in exactly 24 hours prior to the flight. When I noted that I got a B-40 something boarding status, I decided to purchase Early Bird Flight check in for $15, on the return flight. SW promptly processed the purchase. On the return flight, I checked in and noted that I had received a B30 boarding status... WHAT!!?? When I called the airline, they said that this was not an error and that SW offered no guarantee of an early boarding status for purchasing Early Bird check in. Don’t reward corporate and greedy policies of the airlines. Refrain from giving them more money than you have to. This was an awful hard lesson for me since I had championed an airline that I had previously thought was superior.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I did not like how we boarded in St. Louis, they had an alphabetical system, with a first come first serve in terms of seating. I ended up at the very back of the plane after I had to be reseated because of a woman with a child. But they do charge less than other airlines in regards to baggage. The staff was great and in spite of the seating and boarding issues made me as comfortable as they could.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Easy to pre choose seating for an extra $15.00 and entertaining flight crew. Free carry on bags TIMES TWO and great incentives offered when plane was overbooked.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Excellent cancellation policy. I broke my leg 4 years back and wasted so much money with another Airline. After that I always buy SW as I know they will honor my ticket.

Original review: May 21, 2018

The prices are often exorbitant, cancellation and refund policies not clear, and delays often. Cabin crew not the friendliest and not kind/helpful to the elderly.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I am very comfortable flying Southwest. I’ve flown Southwest several times and have had a great time for all but one flight. That was a weather issue but Southwest didn’t keep the passengers informed. I will always choose SW because the personnel are friendly, planes are clean, and ease of flight selection and booking is great!

Original review: May 19, 2018

Southwest has clean mostly new Boeing aircraft; provides free baggage check; free snacks and drinks; and lower cost flight change and cancellation policies, all of which differentiates it from all other major airlines. "What's not to like, right!!!"--carry on luggage. I dislike it when flights are held up or passengers are injured because of too many passengers lugging their bags on board. Also, in airport terminals especially during peak travel season, passengers pulling heavy bags along with them make the concourses downright dangerous. Several times I have been hit by a bag when someone is obviously too short or too weak to dislodge a bag from the overhead compartment. Once dislodged, the bag becomes a flying wrecking ball. I say that Southwest should charge passengers who wish to carry on their bags. I'm sure this would reduce flight delays and increase the safety of passengers, but keep all the other freebies.

Original review: May 18, 2018

The check-in procedure was quick and clean, and although the plane was full, we boarded quickly and on time. The attendants were courteous and helpful. It was a stressless flight.

Original review: May 17, 2018

SWA is good for low fares, but the lines are long and arduous. I flew to Chicago Midway from ORF and the flight was filled with companions and Service animals/dogs. The smell was awful, and the dogs were out of control. Dogs in the air on a passenger flight is an awful experience and people had anxiety from the dogs because it wasn’t a companion for them. I rather read a book or listen to music to ease the stress.

Original review: May 16, 2018

They take off and land on time. There is no baggage charge for 2 bags. Flight changes are free and you can check in 24 hours prior to the flight.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I booked our roundtrip flights for the wrong date. I was made aware of my error when I received an e-mail from Southwest Airlines the day of the outgoing flight; informing me of a NO SHOW Flight Cancellation. I called Southwest when I couldn't access my reservation. I explained my error and asked for credit for the return flight; which was a week away. I was told no. I understand it was my error, but I can't justify losing the airfare for the return flight also; which was a week away.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I had booked this trip from Denver to Las Vegas five months ago. I had booked this as a surprise for my best friend as a bachelorette/Birthday party. This was a $700.00 surprise. We were on flight 799 from Denver to Vegas at 5:25 AM. Landed in Vegas at about 6 am Vegas time. We go to get our baggage and only one bag arrived. We submitted a report at 6:40 am for the lost bag. Throughout the morning as we waited for a "15 minute" call back, no one called us, no one updated me, and no one can tell me where the bag is! We are now sitting in Vegas and the person/reason for being here HAS NONE OF HER THINGS! Not only does she not have her things, her fiancé hid a surprise card with money in it. There is roughly $600 dollars of makeup, brand new clothing and other valuables in her bag. It is now 9:30 am the NEXT DAY and they still can't find my friend's bag nor did they call me... I called them AGAIN to get no new information.

I'm need more compensation than a measly $50 "travel voucher" that I can't even use unless I SPEND MORE MONEY ON A FLIGHT! This has been the absolute WORST experience. When we were getting on the plane to come home they offered someone a $600 travel voucher for their next flight if they changed flights because they oversold it. We are now back from our trip and they still can’t find the bag. We are not even allowed to start the process of reimbursement until after 5 days.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Flying from San Antonio to Atlanta... then Atlanta to Greenville... Flight delayed for mechanical issues and we would miss our connecting flight. They would not put us up in a hotel in San Antonio because "they just couldn't". They would put us up in Atlanta but could not fly us home the next day. It would have to be the day after. My daughter flying in the next day so not an option. Rerouted us to Chicago then to Charlotte. Asked if they would pay for rental car... "They just don't do that." Had to pay 140 to Uber home from Charlotte and got home at 5:30 am.

Nancy the flight attendant was so rude flight 2085. I asked for water but she said, "I can't. There is turbulence." Uh no turbulence. But she did give water to the girl sitting next to us who was drunker than a ** with her head in a bag. I said WTF and she started yelling at me. She said, "Keep your mouth shut," so I stared out the window and kept quiet the whole flight. My ears popped so I chewed gum and it helps me to "pop" my gum. When I got off the flight she called security and started saying (yelling). This girl cussed and she was popping her gum! Then looked at me and said "You will never fly Southwest again." She literally got cray cray. If I can't fly Southwest then I'm the winner. P.S. The security guard looked at Nancy and just said "ok" and let me on my way. It would prob be helpful if Nancy saw a psychiatrist. Worst experience I have ever had.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I flew back home from a cruise from Houston Texas, Southwest lost a piece of my luggage and have yet to find it, We was told that they don't scan their luggage. Why would you not scan the customer’s luggage. That's why they have to reimburse so many customers because they fail to invest in a tracking system for the customer luggage. Last year same vacation they broke the handle off another piece of my luggage which was brand new at that time. With them losing my luggage, then they refuse to review the camera to see if someone took it then let me know. They don’t give a damn about their customers. I will never fly their airlines again, when you fly an airlines that don’t have assign seating should have told me a lot then.

Original review: May 3, 2018

With all problems this airline has had, I tried to get a cash refund for my tickets I'd already purchased. Even though the flight isn't for 5 months yet, SW refused my request. I know it's a no refund ticket but since the airline has so many problems you'd think good customer relations would have a change in policy on this. I mean one engine explodes and breaks window killing one. Then a short period later another window cracks. Almost too scared to fly this airline. Anyway, this will be my last tickets I ever purchase from Southwest. Way to go Southwest, customer relations seem to mean nothing to you.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I received a voucher for $300 from Southwest Airlines because they ruined a piece of luggage that was given to me by my parents who have since passed away. I had them extend it due to illness which they did and have to complete my travel by July 3rd. I now find out that I have to have major cancer surgery on May 14th. I cannot use the voucher. I also do not feel safe flying on their planes since the incident in Philadelphia where a women was killed due to a faulty engine. All their planes are now being looked at due to this. I asked them to void the voucher and mail me a check as I cannot fly. I explained this to two different departments and they couldn't have cared less. Their customer service department needs training in compassion. When my friends found out about this they now refuse to fly Southwest. How can they be so heartless.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I got in early to Houston and could have caught an earlier connection to my destination. The customer service rep stood under a sign advertising how easy it is to do that, while telling me it would cost $380. My flight was originally booked using a voucher we got from Southworst to apologize for poor customer service on a flight earlier this year. The agent, the supervisor and the 800 number rep all explained why they did not have the ability to deliver effective customer service. Thanks Southworst, I won't miss flying your airline. Guess they think good customer service means just not killing another passenger.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information