Southwest Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Southwest is one of our top three airlines to fly. We enjoy their good prices. First two bags are free and they have competitive fares and more nonstop flights. Their staff seem more at ease and casual than other airlines. Open seating can get stressful even though we arrived early to our flight for boarding passes. We were the last on the plane and had to sit separately on our honeymoon.

The check-in time wasn't bad and the security was fine. It wasn’t a bad flight. I wish that they would allow people to carry more than one piece of luggage and I wish that they had more legroom in their coach. Also their food could be better and the bathrooms could be just slightly bigger

We experienced no difficulties on our flight. We arrived quickly and without event to our destination. We experienced good service and personnel that conducted themselves in a pleasant and professional manner. The only negative thing I would have to say is that the flight was extremely crowded and the plane small.

It was a very pleasant experience. The food and drinks were great and service is just excellent. A lot of friendly people to chat with also. The flight attendants were professional and friendly. They made us all comfortable about flying. Also the pilots were very helpful as well as professional. The bathrooms were clean which is a plus. The accommodations were nice. I had a wonderful time. Everything was just right. Very nice people to travel with and they make you want to fly Southwest again.

I love the internet pricing as it is usually the best price. Purchased online and picked up at the airport. Counter was helpful and moved the line quickly. The staff is friendly and professional. I enjoyed the availability ever since Southwest came to Atlanta. The only issue I had was leg room but I'm 6'4" and have learned to cope.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

I like Southwest because of their cheap fares. Who doesn't like cheap flights. Also, their online club they have gives discounts to a lot of things. The customer service is also good. I dislike the fact that Southwest Airlines charge so much to check bags in. They were the cheapest and they were like that because they made their money by charging so much for bags checked. The lines to check in are always long. They should give training on how to swiftly and accurately check customers in. Also, they have basic refreshments. They should offer their club members better refreshments and should have real food.

I didn't have any issues with Southwest. They have fairly reasonable ticket prices. I like that it's kind of a get what you get. From what I remember, you board based on when you arrive to the airport. I would fly with them again if they had the best airfare.

Their prices are really good. The staff is really helpful and amazing. There’s nothing that I dislike and I have never had any issues at all when I have flown with them. It was easy to book my flight, check in, and board my flight. The on flight service was superb. Great food and drinks. Everything went really smoothly.

So my cousin and I recently used Southwest for our flight back to Philadelphia from Portland, OR. We expected a 3 hour layover in St. Louis, but when we got there our flight had been delayed another 4 hours on top of that. This is completely understandable as bad weather happens. This wasn't the problem. It was how unprofessional the women at the desk was on the loudspeaker. She said, "Hey folks, so good news your plane has arrived. Bad news is we can't find the pilot." Wait, what? You do not say something like that over the loudspeaker. How do you lose a pilot? And why would you tell us that? Also, the flight was supposed to leave at 11:10 and we did not leave until 11:30. This was overall a terrible experience!

Purchased tickets and boarding easy and convenient. The staff was very professional and tended to your basic needs. They were knowledgeable about distance and time of arrival. Refreshments were readily handy with a variety of drinks and snacks. I liked the fact that they took time to seat you and offer you a snack or beverage. They were talent and well organized. The seating was comfortable and the area was very clean. Each compartment had its own unique lighting and adjustable seat. The facilities were close and newly cleaned out. Everything was magnificent. Great staff members who were there to help you get through the flight comfortably and with a healthy experience. Items for sleeping were clean, fresh and of high quality. The seating was roomy and had a great deal of information to keep you entertained. There were many available technical support and charging cords for your phones, tablets and cameras.

Wonderful! They're always courteous. I like that the airlines offers pretzels as well as peanuts. If you need anything or have any questions, they are always willing to help. They are always friendly, helpful, and customer-oriented. I like that Southwest thinks of customers first and does whatever they can to make your experience a positive one. I have never had a bad experience with Southwest and there’s nothing that I dislike about them. This makes Southwest my favorite airlines.

Southwest Airlines seems to cancel flights from Houston to Dallas at the 10:00 a.m. timeframe with regularity. My flight was cancelled a while back and ruined the first day of my trip. Today my friend was to come to Spokane from Houston on that same flight, to Dallas at 10:00, and it was cancelled. She is missing the whole first day of her trip. They always tell the customers it is a problem with the plane, but it is usually a problem with the flight crew! It is so unfair to ruin a person's long awaited trip.

Travel was for business travel, advanced medical training to be specific. Original travel was booked along with hotel reservations. Original Confirmation was ** leaving May 31st LAX @ 8:10AM arriving OAK at 9:25AM and returning travel for Friday June 2nd Leaving OAK @ 5:10pm and arriving LAX @ 6:30pm. When I went to check-in online I received an "ops" error. I called Southwest Customer service and was explained the credit card on file was not valid. Because Doctor had fraudulent activity I told her I had a new credit card. She then said she would have to cancel out and start a new reservation. Fine.

New confirmation was ** and she checked me in and sent me boarding pass via text since I was at work. Friday morning before last day of training, June 2nd, I tried to check in and I was unable to and that took me to calling another agent. That is when I discovered the Customer service representative had changed my original reservation and had me flying in May 31st and flying out May 31st... so I was actually a "no Show." Now I had to pay for another flight even though it was not my error. Not to mention the long amount of time spent on the phone I missed my morning portion of the last day of training... the marketing portion!! I needed to have confirmation of a way back home and plus I have anxiety with travel to begin with so I did not want to show up to the airport without knowing I was confirmed and on a flight. Fine.

Your error Southwest but here is my doctor's credit card to charge for a one-way flight back home. Last confirmation **. Headache to explain to my doctor the charge let alone Monday back at work I was on hold for over 2 hours with the Corporate number 855-234-4654. After being transferred to the refund department to speak to another manager I finally had to hang up as it was past 5pm and my work hours. Tuesday I was back on the line and it was just as bad... close to 2 hours again, had to keep business line on speaker phone and use alternate business phone to answer other lines. It is baffling to me that such an established corporation would 1. have a customer pay for "their" error and 2. have such a long phone wait time! Each person I did speak too did say, "It is all easy to see here, very clear what occurred." It is just frustrating that it is not as easy to take care of the actual issue and customer.

Next day, Wednesday morning still not giving up! Finally reached a representative whom placed me on hold for another 45 minutes! When she got back on the line she stated she could only refund is the "No Show" fee portion. This is the portion that is THEIR ERROR! Evidently the flight numbers were close and same exact flight times just on different days... so yet another person sees "again" how the error was made on Southwest's end that has cost me time, headache and extra money!!

Just to be absolutely clear SOUTHWEST, my original booking cost $212.97 and after all the time on the calls, missing my work training, explaining extra charges on my doctor's credit card... the new total charged, after you refunded your error that caused me extra work from Friday to Wednesday, the new total is $236.92. I write this review because I feel no one should fall behind, or have to pay extra, because of an unfair and highly unorganized business structure. SOUTHWEST AIRLINES is EXTREMELY UNSUCCESSFUL in this case because the COMPANY FAILED to UNDERSTAND its CUSTOMER.

My reason for this review is I am worried about passenger services. I flew home from Boston on June 5th Flt # 3685 into St Louis. The flight was to leave Boston at 2:05 and arrive St Louis 4:05. Well while in the airport we were told that we were waiting on the second pilot. Please note I love the honesty, however, we loaded the plane. Here is where the passenger safety played a part. After so long the pilot told us that he did not have a co-pilot. Therefore, he was going to fly us into STL by himself. My question is what if something had happen to the pilot such as a (heart attack) then who would have taken over. I believe my flight was illegally flown by 1 pilot and there should always be 2 pilots and a co-pilot. Isn't that correct? Right? Therefore, we were at risk. I feel that I should receive a letter of apology or an incentive from your company. I look forward to hearing from you.

Southwest was an OK airline. The flight attendants were friendly. They were nice, quick, willing and great at trying to help people enjoy the flight and feel relaxed. However I disliked the size of the plane I was on. It was so cramped that it actually appeared messy and dirty. It wasn't but the size of the plane coupled with number of people on the flight made everything seem cluttered and uncomfortable.

I liked traveling with Southwest Airlines. I would have liked the seats to have had more room and a bit more comfy and cushioned. Even though we were only flying coach, it is still important that we be comfortable, because the passengers that are flying coach is who the airline makes most of its money. I liked the ticket prices. I liked how attentive the stewardesses were. I also liked the captain for keeping us informed the entire flight and I liked the logo. The boarding process was nice.

It was an easy and convenient experience. I have no complaints as far as I can remember. I enjoyed my flight and I would ride with this company again. The price for everything was what I expected it to be. The seats were comfy and the people on the plane were nice. I would fly with this company again if given the opportunity.

My experience flying with Southwest Airlines was great. Purchasing my tickets were quick and easy, boarding the airplane was quick and efficient, extra fees were low and understandable. I like the efficiency from Southwest Airlines. Everything was quick but not rushed. The staff and airline attendants were very welcoming and personable. Claiming my baggage was quick and easy. I am a recovering alcoholic and a vegetarian. It seemed like my options were very limited in drinks and also in the snack options but my overall experience was great. Customer service was excellent.

They are always nice and it is fun to fly on them. I can usually find a flight on the date and time I need, even if I look the day I want to leave. I always find what I need online or in person at the airport. The website is easy, counter people are friendly, they are almost always on time, and are cheaper than their competition. They go out of their way to help people in wheel chairs, with kids, and all others in general.

I like that the employees are more laid back, had one flight attendant that did the whole list of instructions, pre flight, all in a Donald Duck voice. Also, most flights aren't long enough to need meals, which is what most people complain about. However, wish they flew to more destinations. They don't have many non stop flights, and sometimes I have to change planes, which is sometimes a hassle. It is hard to find things I dislike about them, they seem to be in top of their game and constantly going that extra mile. They are my 1st choice for airline transportation.

My overall experience with Southwest was positive. From purchasing the tickets online, cost, timely, and refreshments served. The best thing is their reasonable fares! If you book ahead of time, you save a good amount of money. Also, if you need to cancel at the last minute, they give you credit for your next flight with them. Specific thing I dislike the most is probably their uncomfortable seats because the cushions are very thin!

It is the bus of the sky. The staff is incredible, quirky and helpful. Always a fun time with the staff. I never really have an issue with them. I like that the tickets are not an exorbitant price. I can always find really cheap tickets to amazing locations. The seats are definitely not the most comfortable. I also wish they went to more locations and that some of the better deals were available at my airport.

I have never had a bad experience with Southwest. Many flights daily from my location. Baltimore Washington International Airport. Many daily flight & times to major cities for convenience. Easy to navigate website for online purchasing. Good prices and straightforward pricing. Baggage and carry on included without extra fees. Easy ticketing, check in and boarding too. Good reputation and safety record. Comfortable flights. Staff is upbeat and pleasant. It would be nice to reserves seats in a certain row but that's not a huge issue. Also, you can't search southwest air fares on a lot of external websites like Expedia and other external travel sites.

I loved my experience with Southwest. We went on a work trip from my school to a conference. The boarding was quick and organized and the crew was friendly and helpful. We arrived ahead of time by a few minutes and the exit from the plane was quick and orderly. I specifically liked the ease of check in and boarding. When we arrived we were checked in quickly and the boarding was orderly and fast. During the flight the attendants gave out snack and drinks. It was an extremely pleasant flight. I liked the experience completely. I would recommend southwest.

The tickets purchased online was an easy experience for me. There was no extra fees for me on my trip and the online boarding procedure went smoothly and the food and refreshments were amazingly good. The attendants were extremely nice and professional. The lines were a little annoying but it was a holiday so you have to expect that. Everyone was courteous. The flight was more relaxing than I would have expected.

For the past few years Southwest has been the only airline we have flown, but no more. My daughter lost her passport at the Indianapolis Airport off of a Southwest flight in January. In March, one of their employees looked her up on Facebook and messaged her to tell her they had her passport. First reaction... great it was found! Second reaction... wait a minute who is this guy using her personal information to look her up and contact her on Facebook, and where has her passport been for the last two months, who else has had it? And yes we did file the proper lost and found documents with Southwest. This is a security issue and an invasion of privacy.

My daughter is now worried this guy may have gotten fired due to the issue and might track her down, since he does have her information and the only thing I got from Southwest was "Sorry we will handle this internally". What!? Are you kidding me? Yes, it was my daughter's fault. She lost the passport, but that gives Southwest no right to mishandle an item and no excuse not to follow proper procedures, and no excuse not to protect its customer's personal information. I was very patient with them when trying to get answers and after a month of getting the runaround, I felt the VERY least they could do would be to reimburse the cost of a new passport and they refused. I no longer trust this airline and I want to warn everyone to be very cautious with their items and personal information because if it gets in the hands of a Southwest employee it may be misused.

I love flying with Southwest overall. The ease they make traveling is a big draw. Their stewards/stewardesses infuse humor into every aspect of the flight. Their overall attitude is the best and is very important in managing everyone's moods. Especially on packed flights, where everyone is stressed and grumpy. The singing that they do is fun, and I love when they are dressed for holidays. A little bit of laughter helps with the stressful aspects of travel. I'm not a big fan of the no assigned seating though. I like to know that everyone traveling with me will be able to sit together. Their snacks are small and not very filling and I would like more of a selection and a bit more quantity would be great.

Tickets were affordable and the seats were comfortable enough but could use more leg room. Overall happy but Southwest definitely left some room for improvement in their customer service department. Employees weren't friendly enough and my flight had multiple layovers due to no direct flights to my destination. I dislike the long lines and it took way too long to get on the flight and takeoff.

Southwest Airlines is good. It is easy to purchase tickets and their online check in makes it easy and faster check in. They have easy to navigate website and I do not have to go through outside travel sales. Fares are competitive and some good deals. Staff are pleasant and friendly. Seats are not as small as others, better leg room. I wish their luggage carry on area was bigger. It seems there is never enough room for carry on suitcases. Also, they are limited on areas that they fly to and from and not on all airports. No snacks too. But I would fly with them again.

I like Southwest's efficiency the most. Kiosk check-ins and curbside baggage check-ins are my favorite. We never have had trouble with lost luggage and there are minimal extra fees. There were large lines, but they moved quickly. The staff on and off the plane are friendly and professional. Also, the planes have always been clean and comfortable. No obvious wear and tear that makes you nervous to fly. Southwest seems to fly wherever I have needed to travel. Overall, a good experience.

I like Southwest Airlines’ attitude towards travel plus they have reasonable rates. I like their service and the attendants are professionals and take care of their passengers. I do wish they went to more places both domestic and international.

Compare Airlines