2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (1684 ratings)

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: March 31, 2021

I hadn’t flown in years, so I was a little anxious, and on top of coronavirus, we had to sit accordingly, and I have extra weight on me so it was hard to sit in a seat with minimal leg room for 2 hours! (Doesn’t sound like your ideal flight does it?) But the airline attendees were fantastic, they just went on doing everything normally and catering to all of our needs. I felt very relaxed with them showing us they were in charge and assured of our flight! And the trip home was even better! I had no one next to me and sat by the exit in the middle for that extra leg room! Would recommend def!

Original review: March 27, 2021

Southwest Airlines is one of the top airlines that I trust. Their customer service is unmatched. I always feel safe and secure when traveling with them. In having a peanut and tree nut allergy, they always provide a snack that I am able to enjoy without compromising my health. Their employees ensure that all of my questions are answered and they always enforce safety precautions. I love having the ability to bring 2 carry on bags for free. It is a very convenient and reasonable service that other airlines do not offer. The various ticket options are budget friendly and hassle free. Whether you are a first time flyer or a frequent flyer, Southwest Airlines is the way to go!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Southwest (SWA) is the REAL DEAL! I have flown almost every American Airline Company and Southwest have continue to offer more deals and ways to please their customers. I genuinely appreciate the complimentary baggage offer and not putting this financial burden of their customers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. My family has felt very welcome and safe for decades traveling with SWA. I wish I could have the pleasure to work with such an awesome company with co-workers that has fun personalities as they do! They are truly "Fly the friendly skies" in my family hearts... Way to go and thank you Southwest Airlines!

Original review: March 18, 2021

Love Southwest Airline, from the FREE checked baggage, to the excellent Customer Service received at every point from the Station to inflight. I like that their website has no hidden fees, and seats are chosen as you board, so the earlier you check-in within 24 hours of your flight then the earlier you board to find your seat. You can also pay for “early-bird" check in at a fee of $15-$25 per person per segment. I feel safe flying with Southwest, as a employee owned business I believe not only do they go that extra mile, but their planes are maintained

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I flew Southwest twice in the past month having never used them in the past. This was my first experience. I have to say that with everything going on in our world, they made the experience so comfortable and easy to handle. From the first moment you enter the plane until exit, they treat you like family. I love love love the humor when making announcements. We all need humor. Once attendant said yesterday that, "We love you, but we don't trust you so we will be checking all your seatbelts." LOL. The pilots were so kind on the announcements too. It was just a very pleasant trip during a tough time in our world. THANK YOU!

Original review: May 10, 2021

Note, this was submitted to Southwest: Where do I begin? As a very nervous flyer this was not a very good trip for me. Started great leaving BDL to BWI and landing in BWI was a great experience... but it all went downhill from there... We had a 40 minute delay in BWI, was supposed to depart at 1:05 pm, did not depart till 1:40 pm. We boarded the plane, little did we know we would be on this plane for appx 9 hours!!! For a trip to ATL.

After we boarded the plane in BWI (1:40 pm) we were told we could not take off to ATL due to storms in Atlanta. At appx 3:00 pm they let us leave the plane and go into BWI to use the bathrooms. Boarded back on the plane (appx 3:20 pm) only to wait once again, left the gate, taxied the runway from appx 3:20-4:30 pm! Were we ever going to leave BWI?

Before I go on, here's the problem... Knowing that Atlanta had huge storms that day with even the National Weather Service indicating a tornado WHY would they even think of letting this plane leave BWI to ATL??? I even heard there was ground stop in Atlanta!!! Appx 4:30 pm left BWI to Atlanta, again, nervous me and not liking flying and knowing we were going straight into storms in Atlanta!!!

As we get closer to Atlanta I noticed the flight path was changing, then I heard on the overhead speaker if there was a medic in the house to come forward, someone was having a medical emergency.... so our plan had to make a stop in Charlotte (appx 6:00 pm). Another hour long delay or more as our plane sat in Charlotte (appx 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm)!!! And we were told by the pilot that good thing about the medical emergency because we couldn't get into ATL due to ground stops. REALLY???

They let us get off plane in Charlotte (appx 7:15 pm). Re-boarded the plane only to sit in the plane again waiting for clearance!!! Landed ATL at 9:00 pm. Again, plane originated BDL at 10:35, landed ATL at 9:00 pm! We were 6 hours delayed! I realize mother nature happens, but sitting in tight space on a plane for hours esp during covid and having anxiety was awful!!! Our plane should have never left BWI knowing storms in Atlanta!! And we were being told false info and promises by the pilot. To top it off once we got into ATL they did not have a gate waiting for us... appx 40 min waiting to depart our nightmare plane!!! UNREAL!!!! I am not happy at all!

Original review: April 26, 2021

Flew Southwest during Covid almost every week and they were nice to make changes I needed and I was understanding on flights that were canceled. Now they have full flights and less accommodating when they change flights and want me to spend $350. to change.

Original review: April 17, 2021

After I booked a flight on Southwest Airlines, I used Southwest Concierge service to book a room at the Springhill Suites on Creighton Rd, Pensacola, Florida, for April 8, 2021. Southwest Concierge charged me $179.68. The morning after I stayed in the hotel, when I checked out the clerk printed my receipt. The actual charge for the room was $132.96. Southwest UPCHARGED me $46.72. A 35% increase to the price. I called customer service - that term is an oxymoron in this case - and the explanation was that the hotel clerk should not have shown me the true price! I requested a refund and was told NO. You know how you thought that using Southwest Concierge would mean that Southwest would leverage their considerable buying power to your advantage? Well think again, it is an opportunity for them to gouge the consumer. Do not use Southwest Concierge.

Original review: April 1, 2021

They do what they say and I can always rely on them and free 1 bag booking. I have never run into any delay problems and I love their getaway prices. Also, people are very friendly and professional.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Took off on time, arrived in Dallas on time. Great service by the plane crew. I was wheelchair bound but was treated just great by the flight attendants. My lost luggage was found in Houston and was delivered to home the next day.

Southwest Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information