3.92/5
Based on 484 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Southwest Airlines

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

1161 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Midway through flight 4327 from Denver, CO, to Oakland, CA, on Saturday, January 27, 2018, the pilot announced that smoke had been detected on the aircraft and that he would be doing an emergency landing in Reno, Nevada. I would like to commend the pilot and his crew for a safe, quick descent and rapid response to an emergency situation. I would also like to commend the flight attendants at the Reno airport who had to respond to 200 people without transportation to the final destination.

However, the options to complete my journey to Oakland were going to push my journey back many hours, at a minimum. I opted to hire a rental car, and was told by the attendant to call customer service for a refund of the flight and reimbursement for expenses. This turned out to be a half truth. Southwest will refund my flight—after a 60 day delay. And they are not going to reimburse the cost of the rental car, which cost more than the original flight. The customer service department at Southwest Airlines was a dead-end. They were inaccessible to reach, with extremely long hold times. And were not responsive or supportive to answer my questions beyond the rehearsed company policy. The plane caught on fire. This situation could have been worse, and thankfully it was not. I am stunned that Southwest Airlines cannot be more responsive to passengers on board this plane.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The cancellation and rescheduling process at Southwest Airlines is easy and well worth the extra few dollars. Easy, stress free flying from beginning to end. Takes the worry out of scheduling. Can cancel and reschedule the flight 10 minutes before the flight with no penalty. Affords and convenient.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have flown Southwest Airlines a number of times and was always satisfied... Until now. I went to book a flight that 5 other friends had just booked at a certain price. I went on the website and was going to book at the same price, but decided that since I had such good experiences I would sign up as a loyalty customer (a Southwest account) first. After over 1.5 hrs of trying to connect a credit card to the account (and receiving the "spinning wheel of death" for all that time while it tried to accept my credit card, with a very healthy credit limit), I cancelled out and decided to just book the flight. The price went up significantly. I called the 800 number and spoke with both a representative and her supervisor. I got their "it's policy" standard party line and absolutely NO HELP at all.

So basically I was charged a significant amount more because I waited for their incompetent website to process my account application. No amount of reason worked with these robots... I was basically charged MORE money in order to sign up for loyalty. Well I am NO LONGER loyal to this ridiculous airline with its "I can't help you" policies. I will NEVER AGAIN try to book with this airline and their rigid and non-suppotive "policies". They even had the audacity to say that "other people" who try to scam the system was the reason why they could not honor their original price. I am NOT other people... But they could not get past that lame excuse. Good luck if you choose to use them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Southwest cancelled my flight today 75 minutes prior to departure time of 8:20am due to a connecting flight issue. I was already at airport. It was not delayed. It was altogether cancelled. Immediately I contacted a csr at Southwest and they offered to put me on another flight 5 hrs later and land in Detroit at 2:55pm. Because I had to tend to business about an hour outside of Detroit at 2pm this would not work. When I complained to corporate office Anna ** she advised that I was immediately put on the next flight out at 10:15ish but this was never conveyed to me. They only offered the much later flight described above. Not sure why an airlines would mislead one of their passengers like this. Southwest needs to step up their game as they failed on many different levels and when this kind of inconvenience happens then the customers should be compensated accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

They work hard to take care of each passenger to make them feel special, especially handicap customers allowing them extra time to board and get settled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I had 15,000 points. Enough for a couple free trips. Apparently they expire in 24 months which I had no knowledge of since United doesn't do that. After finding out my last trip was 2 days after the expiration I asked for an exception to save my points, had I known I would have taken the trip 2 days earlier in order to keep my points. They said no in a very rude manner - I asked to speak to a supervisor I was refused and advised, "It's our policy."

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

01/09/2018 we had an ice storm in Baltimore. Our shuttle, super shuttle, arrived at the airport late. Our flight was at 9:10 they were at BWI 8:10. Southwest agent, **, would not let us board because we were minutes late. It's understandable that Southwest policy is if you're not checked in prior to 60 minutes you don't board the aircraft. But we were only minutes late and all our pleading and begging didn't get us on board. The problem was this lady's attitude. She was enjoying the fact we missed our flight to Jamaica. She gloated over our misfortune. Stating she had to be at work at 4:30 and left in plenty of time to get there on time. Told her it wasn't our fault but the shuttles fault. She just smudged at our misfortune. When she couldn't find another flight for us that day or the next she just seemed to rejoice again at our misfortune. She found a flight several days later. And with a smirk on her face she said, "If you're late again you won't fly again."

\

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Our flight from BDL to Baltimore was delayed because the baggage was not loaded on to the airplane in a timely manner. I watched this occur from my window seat as we were waiting to take off. You had one person doing the job of 2 to 3. We ended up being over an hour late because of the bags. Then the pilot announced that "ground" had informed him that all connecting flights were being held so that passengers like us could make their next flights. Not true. Eight other passengers missed their connecting flights. We then had to beg for hotel compensation because you claimed the delay was due to air traffic control. Not true. I do not like to be lied to. Next problem. I purchased early check in on my return flight back to BDL. We received seat assignment A60 and B1. Once the plane is 1/4 full you should stop taking people's money for preferential line positions. This was a real ripoff.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have no idea how I held it together, but this nonsense of airline employees thinking they can terrorize us is nonsense and Congress needs to stop it. My flight began In Harlingen. By chance my flight was all the way through to NY with a stop in Houston and Nashville. After boarding the plane computer problems delayed to take off for an hour. The flight attendants and pilots did a great job keeping us informed. In Houston because it meant programming the computer by hand again they did an aircraft change. Fine by me - safety first.

In Nashville a lot of flyers were getting hungry and asked for permission to leave the plane. We were told we had 45 minutes before boarding of the new passengers. I was the only one who went for a sandwich two gates over. I was sitting in the front so I was the first off of the plane. The flight attendants told me I could go for the sandwich and had my name. When I was paying for my sandwich people were still unboarding the Houston flight. When I got back to the gate I thought the man was joking about me holding up the flight. I was told to just show him my driver's license and I would be able to board.

I am in the walkway entering the plane when a lunatic comes charging down the walk way demanding I stop and then said, "You never get off a plane without my permission." Well stupid me I assumed the flight attendants knew the rules. For 5 minutes he tore me to shreds. An apology meant nothing. I did not blame the flight attendants because they were such a great crew. All the passengers could hear him destroying me. We all know the rule had I walked away and just got in the plane he could have had me removed. I could have been dragged off the plane. I right to defend ourselves from these terrorist airline employees has been taked away from us. When I finally get on the plane the flight attendants told me I held up the flight for only 3 minutes, and then the supervisor held it up for 5 more minutes attacking me. The passengers backed me because one 3 minutes is not a big deal, and two they thought the supervisor was a jerk.

I will admit I am not a SW friend. I do not understand why they cannot sell meals on the plane like other airlines. I am not asking for a free meal. I am simply asking for the option of buying one. I will seek the name of the supervisor to press assault charges, but I have been told by a SW executive I know they will never give it up so I am wasting my time. I will research this issue and my options. I do not want points or money. I want this guy charged with verbal assault leaving me in reasonable apprehension of fear for my person and terrorist threat. Money will not fix the problem. But all airline employees knowing they can be charged with criminal conduct for their unjustified actions, just might turn them human again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I have been a frequent flyer for years. I hardly review any business regardless of how bad service was. That being said, it takes a lot to anger me. I purchased a ticket named Business Select, which was supposedly a high end flight ticket. I was told the advantage of this type of pass was that we would be preboarded. My wife and I waited in the preboard line and as we proceeded to board the plane, the agent stated that I was not a preboarder. I told him that I was Business Select and he said "You need to go to the ends of the line." So, to save some time, I decided to After show my Military ID. Surprisingly enough, I was told it didn’t matter about my Military Service and that I needed to go to the very end of the line to be boarded.

It was so embarrassing to be treated like I was in boot camp. My wife asked the agent, “How is this possible?” He continued to state get to the back of the line. I own a company with a mission to hire Veterans and I am a 22 year Veteran. The customer service is beyond horrible and their service Initiative is very poor. The package I purchased with Southwest Airlines was not illustrated correctly in terms of benefits of specific seating or flight arrangement. Lastly, the upon boarding the flight I discovered that passengers could sit anywhere on the plane and seats did not matter. So I question... What is Business Select? What is the significance of the ticket purchased from any other ticket? I have wasted thousands of dollars to think that me and my wife would be flying in a more comfortable setting. This was supposed to be a little fraction of her Christmas gift since she never flew Business Select or First Class. I will not ever fly Southwest again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

On this last trip, all went well, but on the way home, at the home airport, the plane just fell on the runway with a big bang! My back is still sore.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

A flight attendant walked down the aisle, ascertaining drink preferences. He addressed EVERY WOMAN by the diminutive term "Honey". When I objected, he told me that I was the only one to do so. I complained to Southwest, who told me that their flight attendants were trained to be 'fun loving'. Southwest apologized for upsetting me and asked for my return business but made no mention of instructing male flight attendants to refrain from calling women passengers "Honey". Until Southwest understands the nature of sexist and offensive terminology, and that it is more than just 'upsetting' one passenger, I refuse to fly this airline. I would rather pay more for a ticket and patronize an airline that no longer has its 1970's Flight Attendants in Hot Pants mentality.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The flight was great. No turbulence, The staff was very friendly as usual and the check-in and boarding process is so efficient. I just wish other airlines would figure out how simple this is. Free checked bags is also great!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I was having a hard time when trying to get to the bathroom since I'm alone. They wouldn't keep my suitcase making it hard, but a passenger watch my suitcase while I went. Felt sick from holding my bathroom break.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Boarding flight 771 from Chicago to Orlando on Tuesday, October 31st was very disorganized and in fact understaffed. I bought two boarding upgrades for $80. 1/2 hour before boarding was to begin, I realized that there were over 80 pre-boards. I asked for my money back before boarding began and was told "how do I know how many pre-boards there are." Look I said... frankly, he was rather rude. Later on the flight I heard there were 77 special pre-boards plus the average normal pre-boards. This is just the airlines being greedy at my expense. The flight was over 1/2 full before they got to the business select customers. I will definitely look for a different airline the next time I need to fly somewhere.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Travel on Southwest is quick & easy... no drama! Their employees are friendly & committed to making a flight enjoyable. I would recommend Southwest to anyone flying nationally.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have had the runaround for a week when I contacted Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards, their customer relations department, and more rewards departments. All I wanted to do was utilize my points toward a car rental for my vacation and the hold times are 20 minutes at a time for every call. Misinformation from every representative I have spoke to from the beginning. A representative guided me through a certificate purchase in lieu of points for the car rental, never mentioned the 72 hour hold time in the warehouse before shipping out certificates and a week later they are still pending in the system. After numerous phone calls the representatives all said nothing can be done or try to pass me off to another department.

This evening I spoke to a supervisor, Heather in More Rewards and she treated me like a criminal on the witness stand defending the employees for not sharing the pertinent guidelines when purchasing these certificates. This is completely unacceptable, a supervisor should have more sense to solve an issue a customer is having rather than imply that it is the customer's fault and error. I have been a loyal Southwest Airlines customer for over 30 years. I am completely dissatisfied and the level of incompetence is shocking. I will not let this go, my rewards points are being held hostage due to the inability to resolve the issue, with a little bit of knowledge this could have been resolved. These certificates have no value to me if received after my scheduled trip. A big thumbs down for Southwest!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We spent a good deal of time trying to decide the best layover options and arrival times to Las Vegas. Our agent also spent time helping us decide based on our preferences. Very knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I flew on flight 5457 from Orlando to Hartford on October 29, 2017. The flight was initially delayed almost three hours for mechanical issues and then was diverted to Baltimore due to weather. Once we were diverted it took approximately 1 hour to get to Baltimore which was at 1:52 am. We were all shuffled to a gate and were told to wait a few minutes until things were straightened out. We received a couple of announcements with the same message... our supervisor is working on it. I was #23 in line and had paid for early bird check-in. I was in the A group on my diverted flight. We got to the counter... no announcements had been made at all as to what was happening. We were handed boarding passes to go to another gate and my boarding pass boarding group B # 50. Not a word was said as to why the boarding group was so different and we were not allowed to ask any questions.

I completely understand a diversion but no communication and standing in line for 2 hours with no real updates made me feel like this was the first diversion this team ever dealt with. And to think there was an hour when we were in flight that the team had to get things figured out and it appeared no one even started working on this and when we arrived we were told they had not been told what would happen with our flight. 5 employees were laughing and having a great time behind the counter including the supervisor who was in the phone and in her cell phone as well which seemed as though it was a personal call but that was just my assumption. I flew SWA because my boss insists it’s the best and this was business travel. She even brought Jason Young into our conference this week that I flew to speak about customer service and how SWA stands apart from the rest.

I did not see that or feel that experience tonight starting with the mechanical delay and ending like this. And funny thing is, as I am writing this another passenger just sat next to me who just came from the line who has a position in the A group. I will be telling my boss that I will pick my own business travel flights. This is not the service I expected based on Jason’s workshop this week.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I like Southwest ticket prices and the fact they do not charge extra for baggage! I had 1 issue, I am handicapped and order a wheelchair to help me get around. I flew from Omaha to Phoenix in February and they picked me up after getting off the plane, we started through the terminal and they had to park me and take care of another customer quick. I sat there approximately 15 minutes before someone came to help again, we went a little ways and the same thing happened! By the time someone came to help again the luggage carousel was empty and my suitcase moved away! We finally tracked it down but I was unhappy.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I fly Southwest because: 2 bags free; low prices if booked far enough in advance & flexible on time/date of travel; direct flights where I want to go. The seating by section at the gate works well too.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

In my opinion, Southwest sets the standard for value and customer service. No other airline to my knowledge provides free checked baggage, drinks, and snacks. Their flight attendants for the most part are friendly and make the passengers feel valued.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I purchased 6 airline tickets which included two small grandchildren ages 2 and 4. I also purchased the Early Bird for all 6. Everything was fine except the last leg of the trip in which the gate agent was rude to my daughter about loading out of place that she was 31 and her two year old was 32 and he needed to wait! He said she was out of turn and should have waited! Waited for what!!! The man was extremely rude and we will not fly on this airline again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I have usually flown SWA, but my loyalty has been shaken by a recent experience. In May 2017, I used a voucher that expired on Nov 5, 2017 and a gift card to purchase a flight. The gift card was the same as cash and, when I had to cancel the reservation, I should have had the gift card funds available until May, 2018. However, when I went to book a trip for later in November, I was told that the gift card funds had been wiped out as of Nov 5 with the voucher that expired on that date.

I was also told that SWA causes all funds to expire on the earliest possible date, instead of the later date which was one year from the date of the original purchase. The effect was that SWA took the proceeds of my gift card after just a few months and did not allow me to re-use them within one year as they advertise. I was told that this is explained in some small print somewhere, but I could not find it and, in any event, most people do not read the small print that one finds online. I feel cheated by SWA and am considering switching my loyalty to another airline.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

On Saturday evening 9/23/17, I received a notification stating my disable father flight was cancelled for Sat., which I clearly called and cancelled and verified that we all had tickets for Sun. morning. I was informed that we were all booked for Sunday. I called SWA, at first I was told I had to wait until Mon, but luckily they were able to help me.

Once we arrived to the airport my disable father who have a injured foot with a surgical shoe on it and a pacemaker was forced by Supv. Timothy to go thru the machine, even after being told he couldn't stand and was informed he had a pacemaker and several other ailments. I showed him my dad's card, but he insisted that this is the way they done things at their airport. I informed him we clearly traveled before and he wasn't forced to go thru there. There is a sign that clearly states. "Do a hand-pat search. If you request a hand-pat search, you can ask them to do it in a private area away from public view".

Not only did he have to go thru the machine he also had to STAND UP and be patted and wanded downed, which per MD orders states NO STANDING. The other staff had agreed to search my dad in the wheelchair, but Timothy aggressiveness overruled. As my dad was forced to stand, he became very unbalanced I went to assist and was told I couldn't touch my dad or I had to be rechecked. Once again Timothy rudely rushed over and stood in front of me so I couldn't assist my dad. Once we arrived on the plane, my dad oxygen machine was between his legs, the ** attendant instructed him to push it further down, which he couldn't then he attempted to remove the oxygen and place in the overhead storage, I immediately informed him the oxygen can't be away from my dad.

He went to inform the ** flight attendant that my dad had a black book bag under the seat, but we were claiming it was oxygen. The ** attendant returns to us, and told us this was a $1200 fine. I clearly explained to him that was my dad's lifeline and the flight was short and it should remain with my dad until we land. He then forced it under the seat, claiming they had never seen this type of tank before. Once we arrived we had to sit there while the plane was emptied and the Supervisor was called and he informed me that he was called by the attendants and they informed him that there was a problem on the plane and my dad had a black bag and they had never seen this type of oxygen before. The black bag was provided by FITZSIMMONS OXYGEN COMPANY. I opened the bag showed it to Chris and showed him the paperwork from the Dr. and Fitzsimmons and informed him his staff need to be properly trained.

If we made it thru security how is it a fine? Once we arrived to BWI, I spoke with the boarding person, the flight attendant and the pilot, they were extremely helpful, they showed me the book of the different Oxygen machines you all allow on the plane, and my dad's was the fourth one on there, the only difference we were provided with a carrier. Once we landed to MDW, there was no wheelchair waiting for my dad, but the other passenger who walked on the plane had one, which was fine. The wheelchair attendant informed me it was a wheelchair behind me, I can push my dad myself, remind you I had luggage plus his oxygen. The flight attendant overheard him say that and she immediately asked him to call someone and he said he couldn't and he was only there for the other passenger, she spoke with him briefly, and she then wheeled my dad up the ramp.

She informed the gentlemen sitting at the desk and he called for assistance, after 15 mins. no one came. I pushed my dad and his oxygen to the exit point. This was the worst experience my family and I had to endure. My 71 year old disable father felt as if he would've never went this wouldn't of happened. I understand there are rules in place for EVERYONE'S safety, but to have my dad stand, when there is clearly a sign stating, "If you have a pacemaker and prefer to be wanded down please step to the side and someone will speak with you." Why was my dad forced to stand.

There are so many unanswered questions and concerns I have. This was my sister and niece first time traveling and the behavior she seen yesterday, she said it will be her last. I ask that the flight attendants please be updated on new equipment and your supervisors and staff have more respect and patience for the elderly and disable. I reached out to SWA, the second day I was home thru email and phone. No one have yet to contact me back. I received a general reply stating, "Thanks for your concerns, someone will reach out to you shortly." I will submit my email again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have always found Southwest a great airline to fly with. They have high safety records, great prices and friendly staff. Several years while flying with my mother who was in a wheelchair, one of the pilots helped wheel my mother from the gate to the baggage claim area.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a round trip ticket on September 25, '17 and used partial rewards points and had to purchase more because I didn't have enough for the flight. Early October (10th) the flight went on sale. I contacted Southwest Airline to change my flight to a later one on the same day which was actually less money than the original one. I was told "sorry" you used "rewards points" to purchase your ticket you have to either buy more points 11,000 or pay the $189 cost of that leg of the flight. I wasn't looking for cash back; just a simple change of flights. A lousy one hour difference! Which would have gotten me to my destination at the same time. Are you kidding me! I was a loyal customer of Southwest Airlines for years and I never expected that kind of response from them. Travel any other carrier but not SOUTHWEST AIRLINES.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Southwest has cheap flights and they have great service. Flights are on time as well. It's important to get your boarding pass early if you care about where you sit, window, aisle, middle seat.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Southwest trains their flight crews and ground personnel extremely well, has clean, well-maintained aircraft, and is very customer-oriented - the opposite of some airlines flying today.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Most times you fly, you need to take luggage. Southwest has the most generous luggage program - 2 free bags! Some people do not like the "pick your seat" way they do business but it doesn't bother me. As I enter the plane I can survey the crowd and avoid children or heavy - set people or whatever and choose who I get to sit by. When I reserve my seat in advance, I don't get that option. I think they are a good value and their flight attendants are the best!!!

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information

www.southwest.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use