2.65/5

Looking for a travel site?

Southwest Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I book wrong flight from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale, it should have been to Orlando. We are going on a cruise boarding at Port Canaveral. Didn't realize this until 2 days before my departure! I was in panic mode, blood pressure rising, I looked at my wife and said "I screwed up". So I called Southwest Airlines and April ** answer the phone with a very sweet voice, I said I made a boo-boo, I explained I booked wrong flight, the first thing she said, "Let's see if we can fix this." She ask me for time I needed to be at ship. After checking her compute she said, "I can get you on a flight to Orlando, your arrival time would be 11 am." I said YES and then she book our return flight back home.

April ** represents what Southwest is all about "Caring for their customers". I know this may not seem like a big deal to most people, but image if it were YOU, this was HUGE mistake and April ** corrected it. She is amazing, very friendly and cared about helping me. Southwest you have a very special person representing your company. I always fly Southwest out of Lovefield, less hassle than DFW and because of great caring people like April ** - I am a loyal Southwest customer. I highly recommend this airline. A+/5 star airline!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Good afternoon. I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and share with you why you have converted me from another airline for life. My wife’s Grandmother was in her last days and hours of her life, the last week of March this year. My wife and I had planned on traveling to see her, and had a ticket purchased already for my wife and one of my daughters, but we needed it changed and needed to get me and my other daughter a flight. For my work, I travel quite frequently from Nashville to Dallas among other places on another airline. Because of my status I like them to continue to build points with them. I called them first to book myself and my daughter a flight to Phoenix. They were of no assistance, would not budge on the price for an emergency, and would still charge me a large amount to move my points.

I hung up. My wife then called Southwest. Not only did they get us booked last minute, they adjusted the pricing for an emergency, and helped us the whole way thru it moving our points around etc... Even when we got to the airport, they bumped us to an even earlier flight to get us there as quickly as possible. What a blessing it was to fly with you. If we would have went with the other airline, or had we not been bumped up to an earlier flight, we would not have made it in time to see her grandmother before she passed. We arrived within less than 2 hours of her passing. What you do for people every day may seem routine, but for us, it was a life changing moment.

Having my wife be there before her grandmother passed means more to me than I can possibly express to you. As a result, I have decided to switch to Southwest for all of my work and personal trips going forward even though I do not have status with you. Sometimes I fly out of Knoxville where you do not service, but other than that, I will forever use you now. Thank you for making such a hard time for my family, just a little easier. God Bless you.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Southwest Airlines is the only way to fly!!! They take care of their customers and go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed on each flight. I work sometimes out of town and I never exactly know what time my day may end, but I know I can check the flights or call Southwest to change my flight with little to no expense to me and when I say little, I believe the most I have paid has been $8.00, you cannot beat that. I know when I have had to fly with another airline and requested to change my flight, I have been told it will cost me $150 to $200 to change the flight. I can take a carry on the plane with no extra charge to me.

The flight attendants are always so nice and accommodating to your needs. The pilots' comments are hilarious and puts me at ease. I changed my schedule a few months ago in which I paid $8.00 and ended up delayed at another airport due to weather conditions. I wasn't upset at all, I'd rather be safe. Days after I arrived home, I received an email from Southwest giving me a $100 voucher for future travel with them. I was not expecting this, didn't feel as they needed to do this, but that is who they are. I will not fly with any other airline unless I absolutely have to!!! I highly recommend Southwest Airlines!!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Always, check other flights 1 Day Before and 1 Day After, your intended travel date. Often you will discover better price(s) for flexible dates. Consider travel connection cities, before booking. Once you have your e-ticket, get your group boarding class no later than 23 hours Before your Departing Day. Have comfortable walking shoes. Weather changes will occur often.

Made that mistake myself, traveling between Tampa, Florida and Austin, TX. Tampa was 79 degrees and non-stop Austin was 39 degrees. Tampa, has good veteran and disability security assistance towards boarding flights. Austin, has poor veteran and disability security assistance personnel. When traveling between Austin and Dallas Love Field, Austin took longer than the actual flight. Austin security, put 3 security personnel on my physical inspection, causing me to board our flight in tight seating due to security delays. We request the boarding with disability to ensure safety for ourselves and other travelers on 737 planes. Dallas Love Field, had good veteran with disability assistance and ensured we got on our flight, non-stop to Tampa. If we have to travel within Texas again, we will avoid Austin, altogether. May even consider rail travel.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have flown with Southwest for a while now, always to one location: Charleston International. Unfortunately, there is no straight way there. Because of this, I've had lots of layovers in many of their locations. I've been to the Denver, Houston, Chicago, and with my next trip, the Baltimore airport. I've had maybe 6 flights now and not many bad experiences.

Overall, not bad at all. I usually am allowed TSA Pre-Check without applying, I always get early-bird, and seats aren't bad. Of course sometimes, things will be delayed. I noticed this especially in Chicago Midway, but that is just because that airport is notorious for delays. The whole time, Southwest never alarmed anyone and remained calm no matter the delay. The flight attendants are super nice and care about safety and regulation.

Two Things: You can watch the baggage people practically chunk your luggage around, which I've noticed many times. I was on a flight in Denver going to Will Rogers Airport where the flight was so full, that one girl could not find a seat near her mother - or a seat at all. It was overbooked. I hope everything got worked out but Southwest is pretty stubborn about refunds. Overall, good stuff. We'll see if this next trip continues to meet my expectation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I scheduled a flight in May for my Sept. trip. Originally from Orlando. Hurricane was bearing down on Florida Orlando airport was due to close because of the storm. My tix were bought and paid for in May. 400$ round trip for 2. At the very last minute BEFORE the airport closed I switched my flight to Tampa. So I wouldn't miss my trip. Southwest charged me an ADDITIONAL 400$ for the same distance flight that they cancelled 4 hours later when they closed the Orlando airport. Been a Southwest customer many many years. I will definitely be looking at my options and do what it takes to NEVER use Southwest again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

My husband and I were planning travel last fall to visit family in California. I suffered a severe back injury which required a long surgery and rehab. Having received the medical go ahead to travel, I attempted to rebook. It seems the window to rebook is about to close and we will lose $100 per ticket. This is satisfactory. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the expiration date and apply for a voucher which will take 30 days to issue. This delay will make it impossible to secure a reasonable rate, as it will be a last minute fare - if it even is made available prior to our travel date. I was hoping for consideration as the circumstances of this issue was clearly out of my control. Please consider the request to apply the ticket funds so we can make our intended trip. Best regards, Heidi.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I purchased 2 tickets 8/2/18 to Ft Myers. Had to cancel due to medical issues. They reimburse me for 1 ticket and I explained I would use the other the following year which they said was valid. Just tried 9/30/19. That ticket wasn't valid and also because I didn't make the trip in question I lost 13000 in points. News flash I was never told I would ever lose my points and your rep told me I had 1 year to use my voucher, which I thought from travel date that was 1/11/19. Big surprise screwed out of flight and points. Customer service was useless so even though I've been a loyal customer for 15 years I'll be changing airlines.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Was stuck in Orlando as Hurricane Dorian was approaching during our Disney trip with 3 kids. Customer Service was excellent! They helped change our flight several times with no hesitations. They understood we had 3 kids that needed to get back to school. They made a bad situation much better. Can't thank them enough. Nice to see a for-profit company really care about its customers. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Cancelled flight during Labor Day weekend with a weather in Dallas reason. Flight leaves Omaha at 6:55PM and reaches Dallas after 8:30PM. Weather condition completely cleared in DFW area before 5:30PM and all flights in the DFW area were normally operated. This is purely operational tactic they have used. It’s really horrible to play this trick inconveniencing hundreds of passengers traveling during holiday weekend.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information