2.89/5
Based on 248 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1228 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Southwest is running a scam, unilaterally canceling flights and trying to blame Air Traffic Control (ATC) in order to avoid issuing voucher passes to its customers. Our Sunday, August 12th flight WN6010 from MKE to DCA was canceled at 9:30 am CT via email to us, even though it was to land at 4:35 pm ET, six hours later. Call center blamed ATC and said, "Go get whatever SW seats are left Monday or Tuesday back to your area" (which was nil). They happily said that "customer service is not available today, they open at Sunday 3 pm". They also happily said "there are no managers or supervisors on staff today, it's Sunday." Monday, they happily said "we don't know what airport had the issues." Meanwhile, DCA ATC confirmed they did not issue cancellations or holds, particularly in the early morning for a late afternoon flight. That only happens with hurricanes and Nor'easters.

Meanwhile, EVERY SINGLE OTHER AIRLINER continued to take off and land successfully at DCA from 6 AM to 5 pm when we last checked. SW still cannot verify who or which ATC supposed decided to cancel SW's flights Sunday August 12th. It is certainly a big MYSTERY, especially considering they have no managers or supervisors working on the weekend yet are unilaterally canceling 20% of their flights and trying to blame the FAA and ATC for doing so.

SW needs an investigation into this practice of canceling flights and lying that it is the FAA or ATC. They also need new management since they have some serious crew, fleet and operations problems since they are THE ONLY AIRLINE CANCELLING FLIGHTS. Ironically they canceled our 1:50 pm CT MKE to DCA flight, but continued to run all five of its Midway Chicago (90 miles south) flights to DCA the same day. Someone needs to clean up the BS at SW, fast. We won't be flying them for business or leisure going forward; too unreliable, too untrustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I booked a flight with Southwest Airline for Sunday August 12, 2018 leaving Tampa, FL headed back home to Memphis, TN. While checking my email to ensure I had the correct gate location and departure time, I decided to check in online via Southwest website. To my surprise my flight was CANCELED. I called their company at 11:00 AM and was on hold for 1 hour literally. The first lady who answered said "yes it was cancelled but let me see if there is another flight leaving out the same day." I responded with "why was I not notified by email" and she ignored me. I asked again and was told an email was sent at 9 AM. I told her I check my emails around the clock and would have received a notification. She told me no flights were available for Sunday but I can leave on Monday or she can refund my money. There was no sympathy for what was just caused to me and my son.

I asked to speak with a Manager and her response was "Ma'am he's just going to tell you the same thing" and I said, "I don't care, I need to speak with one." Well the manager was horrible because I told them there was no way I could return Monday and that I was completely stranded and needed to get home Sunday. When I asked why was the flight cancelled he said "the weather." My response was "sir I'm in Tampa and it's clear skies." And the next thing I know I was placed instantly on hold, where I waited minutes and then the phone hung up. I called back several times with no response. I did their callback option when the sweetest woman by the name of Kim took her time trying to get me home on Sunday but said there was nothing else leaving out and it was too late for the one that was leaving at 4. This is how I knew there was a flight but the other two decided my faith even though I informed them of my situation.

Ms. Kim found a flight and told me I could get to the airport and ask for assistance with a hotel but they don't refund money due to weather. She walked me through the flight details and I said, "Wait. Let me take the information down," but she said it's coming through email. I saw the email instantly, so how ironic that hers came through but the alleged cancellation email did not. So my 1 hour no stop trip that was CANCELED has turned into 7 hours + with a stop in San Antonio TX, Dallas, another flight, then home from 3:30 PM - 9:55 PM.

No apology from Management, inconvenienced, stranded with a 12 year old, no clean clothes, no food, and no money. It's safe to say they can take off anytime without my family. This took away the joy, excitement, and turned my day into a living nightmare. For future events, a simple apology, and a notification goes a long way. I could have tried to make arrangements but I guess that wasn't an option for them. Thanks for the disappointment.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Reservations were made by Southwest for my family traveling to Fl. I purchased early bird to ensure we were automatically assigned seats. All passengers except one were placed on early bird, not exactly sure how that happened, however one of the passengers who was charged for early bird made a change to return flight home and the $30 for early bird was not passed to the changed reservation... This airline offers no way to resolve these issues. They are rigid and advertise how flexible they are, it's a complete false claim.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

If you Google "buy Southwest points" an ad pops up at the top of the page stating that Southwest is offering points up to 35% off. When I logged into my account, however, and attempted to purchase the points the discount dropped to 30% off. I spent hours on the phone with Southwest asking them to honor their advertising at 35% off or an explanation as to why I'm only getting 30%. They actually tried to blame it on the third party company that runs their points system!! Ultimately, after speaking with many departments, they would not honor the 35% discount. Several reps told me that when they log into their accounts they are offered the 35% off and, yes, we both read the fine print on restrictions. I'm filing a complaint with the Consumer Fraud Division of the Arizona State Attorney General.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

After accumulating over 70,000 points in the Southwest award program, I found that my balance had been canceled without notification for no activity in two years. If you have a savings account but don’t make a deposit in two years, how would you like the bank to drain your account? Without any notice that they would or had done so. I will never fly Southwest again! So much for “LUV” airline and their friendly service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I bought tickets, then wanted to cancel and use them later (customer for decades). Then I want to book a flight for September 14th but the trip has to be completed by the 12th to redeem. I was told no one in the entire company can extend that 5 days. Amazingly, I was ready to pay the extra $400 for the trip. If it doesn't get extended, I'm ditching Southwest... not giving them my business.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We had a flight booked from DC to SLC, UT on 7/27/18. We were touring DC and received a txt message stating, "Southwest has cancelled your Flight. Please call 1800-435-9792 to rebook your flight." This was 4 hours before our flight was to depart, which actually gave us 2 hours of notification since we were supposed to arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. I called and spoke with a customer serv agent and asked to be placed on a flight that was an hour earlier than our flight if it was possible. She said ABSOLUTELY and asked me to hold for a moment while she switched our info to that flight. Then she hung up on me.

I called back and the automated system said the current wait time to speak with an agent was 180 mins and an agent would call us back without losing our place in line. We were in the middle of a Tour at Arlington National Memorial. We had to hurry thru the tour and walk quickly back to the hotel to pick up our luggage. We couldnt get ahold of any agent to speak to to try to get another flight. When we did speak to somebody they told us they didnt have any flights and would refund us our money within 24-48 hours business days. We ended up paying 1400.00$ for the same ticket thru a different airline.

Also had to pay 85.00 in luggage fees since Southwest flies 2 bags for free. Also had to pay another 97.00 to taxi to another airport to get on a flight home. My husband is in Law Enforcement and had to get to a training back home on Sat evening 7/28/18. I just contacted SW and they have not yet refunded my 600$ ticket for THEIR CANCELLATION on the flight. They then proceeded to tell me it would be 30-60 days before I saw my refund. How can THEY keep my money for THEIR cancellation, and not to mention the HUGE amount of money we had to spend to find another flight, and the inconvenience of it all??? Dont fly with Southwest!!! They are a huge ripoff and not into customer service...

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have flown exclusively with Southwest for about 6 years. I have just had a long argument with one of their customer relations supervisor, someone named Madison, who was completely robotic in her answers, and couldn't care less about anything I said but continued to keep a tone of know-it-all and "sorry but this are the policies at SW". I had accidentally booked a flight at 7 am instead of 7 pm, this is absolutely my mistake. As usual, I knew after flying with them for years that 24 hours before the flight they email you a reminder. Not having seen any reminder, I checked my flight again and noticed that it was at 7 am and I had "missed" the fight.

I called to ask to help me use that money to re-book the ticket for the first one available, and stuck-up Madison, from her cushy job in the "executive division of SW", informed me that it didn't matter how many times I have flown with SW or how much money I had paid in the past, but the ticket was completely forfeited because I did not show up at my scheduled time, and I had to buy another ticket. I will NEVER use SW again - not that they give a flying ** because one customer is worth absolutely nothing, even if said customer has used them for years. What a bunch of robotic, non-caring **.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I’m reporting what appears like bait & switch with the discount airlines online reservation system. Southwest Airlines continues to have issues with their online reservation system that conveniently will not allow booking of a discounted flight. I have experienced what I’m about to describe on several occasions. My son attends a university near the San Jose airport and it is convenient and inexpensive (usually) to use SWA or Alaska to get him to and from home in Portland. In the past, when I have experienced low fares disappearing or receiving an error when selected, I just figured it was a glitch. However, given the number of times that I’ve experienced it, the practice is a tool to keep customers from getting a discounted fare that is showing as available. This time I documented this experience.

On 7/22, I booked a flight for my son from Portland to San Jose, CA. on SWA. from my computer at https://www.southwest.com/. On 7/22, I tried to book the same flight from Portland to San Jose, CA. on SWA for a companion of my son’s at the same site (https://www.southwest.com/) but using my iPhone. I was able to get the departing flight #4498 at the same fare of $141 “Wanna Get Away” as my son's flight. The return flight, #555 showed “3 left” @ $141 which was the same price as my son’s reservations. When I selected this return flight I received an error “Sorry! We can’t find any seats in the fare class you chose”. I backed out of the transaction and tried again thinking that maybe it was a timing issue but I received the same error.

I exited out of the Southwest Airlines online reservations app and went back in. I logged in again under my log-in (same as before) and tried to book the same flight again. As with the first three attempts, I easily selected the departing flight #4498 at the same fare as my son’s flight but this time on the departure flights displayed they were different and less expensive. When I selected a return flight from the new list (the time was slightly earlier than my son’s return flight) the old departure flights popped up with the original list of departure flights. Weird! I selected the last departure flight for August 2nd, flight #555 which again showed “3-left” at the Wanna Get Away fare of $141. This time I received an error, “Oopps! There won’t be enough time for you to change planes. Please pick a different flight.” This error was not relevant given that it was a direct flight and the only one selected for that day.

I gave up trying to book the flight thinking I would try in the morning, and worst case scenario I would call customer service for their help. On 7/23, I tried again, the departing flight #4498 was now $302 (the night before I was able to select at the “Wanna Get Away” fare), but the return flight on August 2nd, flight #555 (the fare that I kept receiving an error on) was still $141 the “Wanna Get Away” fare. This made the flight go from $282 to $443 a 57% increase. On 7/23, I called SWA customer relations (1-855-234-4654) and waited online for 29 minutes. I spoke to Cal **. When I told Cal my situation, he put me on hold for a period of time and came back and told me that unfortunately he was not able to get the departing flight #4498 for the “Wanna Get Away” fare (not the flight #555 that I was struggling with the night before) and that I had to pay the new fare.

I continued to explain that their site was showing the available “Wanna Get Away” fare but that it wouldn’t let me book it. I find it interesting that the Aug 2nd “Wanna Get Away” flight (#555) I was having a problem with on 7/22 still showed the “Wanna Get Away” fare the next day. I kindly explained that I had experienced this practice before on the reservation site and it appeared like “bait & switch”. I said that someone has the authority to honor the fare. Cal said he was not authorized to do that. I asked to speak to his supervisor, he gave me the name Olivia **, and said someone would call back in 48 hours but he couldn’t guarantee who would call back.

I looked up and called Southwest Airlines headquarters in an attempt to speak to Olivia **. I tried the “employee dial by name” option. There was not an Olivia **. I went to the operator and I asked to speak to Olivia **. The operator hesitated and said, you need to go back to the “employee dial by name”. Before I could say anything, she had transferred me back to the automated system. Clearly Olivia ** is a code word, not a real person. I want these practices to be exposed. I’m seeing more and more of these practices in corporate America and a spotlight needs to be shone on this behavior. Vote with your $$$'s.

Original review: July 20, 2018

So my fiancée and I booked a flight on Southwest in January for a July flight. She wasn't a member at the time. I convinced her to become a member and she booked the return flight. Well because of a death in the family, we decided to cancel the flights. Her departing flight wasn't in her Southwest account because it was booked prior; so she forgot all about it. That flight was booked for yesterday 7/19/18.

That day she received an email from Southwest explaining since she missed her flight her funds were forfeited. We called the customer service line & were told they had a strict policy about "no shows" and had no exceptions. Valerie was really kind when she told me this. I explained it wasn't intentional, my fiancée was a new customer, and honestly forgot to follow up. To no avail. I explained we weren't looking for a refund. We were looking for credit for the flight (approximately a couple hundred dollars). No exceptions. I explained I would like to speak to her supervisor (Olivia); but she wasn't available. So Valerie was happy to have Olivia or another supervisor call me back within 24-48 business hours.

Original review: July 15, 2018

My recent (7/15/2018) Southwest flight, returning home to Phoenix from a weekend trip to Detroit, resulted in lost luggage. As most frequent travelers know, luggage can be frustrating, but most of us understand the experience “goes with the territory”, knowing the airlines try their level best to get customer bags from A to Z with as little fanfare as possible. However, this trip, or lost luggage experience is turning out to be an exception to the rule aforementioned rule. First of all, the gate agent who received my luggage in Detroit at approximately 5:00 am was not the happiest of campers. She abrasively asked me for my identification and ticket, which I provided and she confirmed my first and last name, which matched the information on my government issued Drivers License (AZ) and the recently printed boarding pass.

The next step is the confusing part, because she then places a sticker (my bag receipt) on a boarding sleeve, hands it to me and throws my bag in the air in the general direction of the baggage belt behind her. That really got my attention as this action was unexpected and totally unprofessional. With the distraction of the my flying luggage, I forgot to “look” at the baggage receipt she’d just provided. Upon my arrival in Phoenix, I went to claim my luggage and realized, like other passengers, that my luggage was not at the advertised carousel. After being directed to the Southwest baggage claim station, the customer service representative informed me that my bag was tagged for San Diego via Chicago.

Being a frequent traveler, I do understand that mistakes can happen with baggage being mishandled or lost. However, the gate agent in Detroit confirmed my name and final destination, yet she still placed the wrong name (both first and last) and final destination information on my bag and receipt. Now begins the process of tracking down my luggage, which Southwest doesn’t seem to do very well. This afternoon, I’ve placed 8 telephone calls to Southwest baggage claim areas in Phoenix, Detroit, Chicago, and San Diego, with each call meeting with negative results. The best information I’ve received thus far is that Southwest “does not scan its bags” prior to boarding, so customers are unable to determine what flight on which their checked baggage was placed. No, that doesn’t make sense In 2018, yet here we are.

The single return call I’ve received was from the Southwest call center informing me that Southwest was working on the problem. When I queried the caller, she was unable to tell me “where” my bag was located or “when” it could be retrieved. I’m normally pretty reasonable regarding matters of this type, but Southwest’s inability to answer reasonable questions regarding customer property to which they’ve been entrusted is troublesome. My 7/15 experience with Southwest customer service representatives also gives me pause. Throwing customer property onto a moving baggage belt and being abrasive might be a sign of single employee having a “bad day”, but Southwest’s inability to simply locate my property or provide a reasonable time frame to do so is inexcusable and unprofessional.

I’ve have been a loyal customer for many years, but your failures reflected above tells me there may be a cultural problem in your organization. If you had great customer service, lost my bag, and diligently took steps to find and return it, I would simply say thank thank you. However, that’s not the case here. I would recommend you address “customer service” matters as soon as possible and get back to taking care of people. Hire attentive gate agents with a desire to get it right, and replace your lost and found personnel with resourceful and respectful employees.

Unfortunately, you’ve lost me as a customer. I can’t justify maintaining a professional relationship with an organization that will not be professional in its dealings with me. Finally, if/when one of your customer service agents calls a customer with an update, they should probably address the customer with a “Sir” or "Ma'am”, not by the customers first name.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Spent over an hour trying to book a SWA vacation, and the website is very flawed and totally frustration to use. Locked up and Locked UP and LOCKED UP. Three time I had to exit and restart the entire process in order to get it to take. Totally worthless. Something that should take 10 minutes took over an hour. Called their call back system and after over 30 minutes it would not pick up. Another totally flawed system. Called again. This time would not go on the call back system, and waited 45 minutes, transfer to the SWA Vacation system and the person hung up. Don't waste your time with SWA Vacation, a vacation should be fun, not totally frustrating to set up.

Original review: July 15, 2018

This is the first and last time we are flying with Southwest. Our 10 am flight to Denver was cancelled while we were on the airplane from San Diego to Phoenix. During the connection they gave all the spaces on the next flights to Denver, so when everybody from that connection arrived there was absolutely no flights left until 10:30 pm. (Almost 15h later). Once in the line to get the confirmation to the latest flight of the day, the attendant didn’t care enough to even tell us there was an option to go to the gates and put names on standby lists.

After figuring out by ourselves that some of the company’s planes were landing in Denver and only ours wasn’t, we went from gate to gate to try and stand by. After long lines in all of them, the people that are supposed to help behind the counter didn't even know what they were doing. This one lady even had to call somebody else to give her the instructions on the phone while she was saying she didn’t want us to lose our spot at 10:30 pm. Now we are here waiting on the standby list afraid that we actually will lose the 10:30 pm and not even make it home today. Can’t be more frustrated than this honestly. Never flying with Southwest again.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I would like to commence by stating I have been a loyal customer of Southwest Airlines for over a decade and Asif ** is a valuable asset to the company and McCarran Airport. Southwest lost my loyalty on July 8th. On the other hand, Southwest Airlines thoroughly disappointed me by their lack of communication and the service received from MARTA at Gate C22. I originally had a flight scheduled to depart from LAS to SNA at 1115am to attend my grandmother's funeral. As I prepared to depart for the airport at 900am, I received notification that the flight was delayed for 1230 pm. As a result, I decided to stay in and leave at 1015 am. As the clock hit 1015 am, I received another notification that the flight was moved forward to 1115 am and in panic mode along with mourning of grandmother, who raised me.

Thanks to Southwest's poor communication, my wife and I ended up missing our flight. This was just the beginning of the greater problems to come. My wife then proceeded to speak to customer service rep, Marta. At gate C22 to seek resolution in order to make my grandmother's funeral. Instead of being helpful and trying to seek resolution, Marta did not make a single attempt to make eye contact with my wife, as she pretended to speak to someone on the phone for 8 minutes. Afterwards, Marta nonchalantly stated that there is nothing she can do. At that point, she is crying under incredible emotional distress and I witness all of it from the distance. She hysterically stated to me as she's sobbing that we are not going to make it, due to Marta's lack of customer service and empathy.

As a result, I tried to cordially explain the situation and seek resolution with another representative in a defeated tone. In the middle of the conversation with her, Marta then proceeded to interrupt the conversation and told me to "sit down and shut up." As a normal protective spouse would do, I then told her to learn some customer etiquette and stormed off to a different terminal. In retaliation like an immature adolescent, she stated that my wife and I are not going home in the most sadistic manner possible. Also, she stated that she is going to call a manager to ensure that we don't get home on Southwest. Keep mind, I was publicly embarrassed by at least 25 other people who witnessed this tirade from her.

As a result, we immediately walked to a different terminal to seek resolution, my wife started talking to another CSR. Within minutes, Marta followed and told my wife to shut up and sit down. Eventually, we were approached by Asif. He told me Marta accused me of being combative, when in reality, she was the one who told us to both shut up and failed to practice basic customer service etiquette. Asif forced an ultimatum on me and made me say sorry to the worst customer service representative at an airport. Very embarrassing to say the least. Finally, he helped me get on a different flight to Ontario, but I still missed my grandmother's funeral.

Customer service is such a simple concept executed by outstanding airlines like Korean Air and Asiana. As a result of Marta, when I think of Southwest, it reminds of the poor service from American Airlines and Delta, but exponentially worse. Once I arrived at Ontario Airport, I had to pay $95 to take an UBER from Ontario to my home in Orange County. Southwest ruined my weekend and missing my grandmother's funeral, due Marta's lack of customer service skills, empathy, and Southwest's poor communication skills.

Original review: July 9, 2018

It was our understanding via Southwest website that the cost for the "Earlybird" check-in would provide a lower # for checking than doing the traditional check-in yourself. Well this is the Bull! Do not waste a Penny of your money!!! We had to check-in at 7:25am and so I decided I would let the Earlybird do it...what a waste of money. I watched it at 7:30am and they gave us #s that are worse than what I did myself. It got changed by them to higher #s. Don't waste money for this crap of service. They are stealing your money and provide no service... Do it yourself if you use this Airlines...we are not going to!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I had the worst flying experience in my life. I had a flight with Southwest Airlines, and when I landed I did not find my bag on the baggage claim and I have stayed more than 45 min and it did not come. And I went to their office to file a report about my bag cause I had to catch my shuttle to go to another city, the lady there told me that "You do not need to file a report and you can follow with us by the phone and then we can send you the bag to home." So I took the shuttle and went home which is far about 1 hour and more from the airport, and now they called that I have to pay them more than $60 so that they can send the bag to my home, although that was their fault but they still insist that I have to pay.

This is their mistake as I did not find my bag when I landed and I had to take my shuttle, so I have to pay more money to them. I tried to call them, but they are treating me in a bad way and they do not want to listen to me and they insist that the bag was on the baggage claim after 16 min, but they are lie cause I was here. This is the worst airline I had in my entire life, and I will not recommend anyone to travel with them. It is my mistake that I have booked this flight with them.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was on flight #1508 on June 12, 2018, and I felt mistreated by the airline host. I sat in the secured passenger seat, and the gentlemen who was standing there he saw me coming and I asked him if I could sit there and he said sure, however my hands were full so I asked if he can assist me with putting my carry-on in the overhead bin because I had coffee and breakfast, a purse and my headrest pillow along with my carryon and he said 'no' then I am suppose to do it myself because I am sitting in the emergency exit row and I must do it myself.

It resulted in me wasting my coffee all over the guy sitting at the window because I was in the aisle on the left side, the people sitting behind laughed as well as the airline host, when he finally brought some napkins and wipe for me to clean it up I didn't mind, however when I gave him the soiled napkins to throw away he threw them back at me which resulted in them being all over the floor and the people who sat behind me was amused. I was totally embarrassed.

Then he came back and said that I should not be embarrassed because I am taking it out of line, something to that nature, then I asked one of the girls what was his name. They wouldn't give me his name, and then he came back to apologize to me and to offer me something and I told him I didn't want anything and for him to stay away from me. He said, "That's fine", and walked away. He told me that his name was Moe, and when I got off of the plane customer service told me that was not his name and sometimes they hide their names to take up for each other then the supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, was nice and told me what to do, however my flight was horrible. I was wet, cold and dirty and I felt embarrassed. I just thought that they were more friendly on my departing flight on 05/30/2018.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Paid extra at time of purchase for early bird check in. DID NOT GET IT. Service desk at gate said I didn’t purchase it. Told me to call customer service. Customer service said I had it on my ticket but gate still wouldn’t honor it. Customer service tried to refund money but couldn’t. Said it showed as used on the ticket I had in my hand. Gate still wouldn’t honor it. I fly almost 100,000 miles a year with these people. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy early bird check in. I can’t believe they can’t fix something this small. Very disillusioned at how nonchalant they were.

Original review: June 22, 2018

On the day SouthWest latest fares were available, 5 family members attempted to make reservations. We were all on individual home computers when the download was finished & fares were posted. Only 1 family member was successful in getting the posted fares. Another 3 family members & myself received "invalid' messages & kept re-attempting. 8 minutes later a family member got her tickets BUT PAID $765 MORE THAN FIRST FAMILY MEMBER. I understand the "only a certain number on tickets are at a set rate" explanation. But none of us got the posted rate despite all attempting at the same time & within minutes of initial posting. Since it is holiday time period, It would appear to be a 'deliberate glitch' installed by Southwest to glean higher sales. It's unacceptable & a scam!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Upon my arrival at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta from Las Vegas, I had retrieve my luggage from baggage claim and when I got to the shuttle to pick me up and I loaded my luggage into the shuttle I noticed a big rip on the top of my luggage and also a tear about 2 in long on the side of my luggage. Now mind you that I am in a hurry to get to the shuttle in time so it does not leave me to get to my motel. So by time I noticed the tear and the rip on my luggage and by the time I had time to call them, I was outside of the 4-Hour window they only give you to call them and file a complaint. Which I did not know because I do not travel that often.

So they will not honor replacing or repairing my bag because it was outside of the 4-Hour window and I do not see this as being fair when someone who doesn't travel does not know these things. So now I'm stuck with a Brand New Bag that has been ripped and poor because of the mishandling of baggage handlers at the airport. Needless to say my first flight was with Delta and I had no problem or issues with them at all. My second flight was with Southwest and obviously I'm having issues. So needless to say I will not be flying Southwest ever again. I don't care how cheap the flights may be. Now I see why it is because they don't hold up to their word or anything honorable.

Original review: June 18, 2018

A huge thank you to Southwest for helping me with problem and request. Both were solved within hours with a most polite response with no further questions asked. Best attitude and prompt response ever experienced with a big corporation.

Original review: June 9, 2018

They treat the passengers with respect and humor. The seating is not assigned and that can be a good thing. I do not like having to pay extra to insure seating with my children.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am very disappointed at Southwest customer service and will NEVER fly with them again unless they change protocols. My coworker and I had a work function to attend in New York City from 5/29/18-5/30/18 and fly home the morning of 6/1/18. We get to Midway 3 hours beforehand, check our bags and wait to board. Finally get on the plane to be told that our flight will be delayed 1 hour for fog issues in New York. The flight attendees told us we could get off the plane or wait on the plane until we take off, so we decided to wait. No less than 5 min later the crew crassly said, "Your flight is cancelled. Get off the plane and go see customer service." We promptly left and stood in a line for 45 min to be told all flights to New York were canceled and where did we want to fly to. I asked what is the closest airport to NYC, she said, "I don’t know," and again, "Where do you want to fly".

Thankfully I had overheard another couple saying Philadelphia and it was a two hour drive to the city so I said just that. I SPECIFICALLY asked about our bags and she took our confirmation number for our bags which by the way were under 1 confirmation number. She PROMISED me our bags would be delivered to Philadelphia airport. This was again over a two hour delay past the time of boarding our first flight so we wait finally get on the plane and land. We go to baggage claim in Philadelphia and prior to the carousel starting I head straight to customer service to ask if they could check to see if our bags made it. I wish I would have taken the lady's name because she was one of the nastiest people I spoke to throughout this ordeal. She said in the most negative, rude tone, after I asked her politely if she would be able to track our bags, she said, "Uh wait until the carousel starts. It will be on the carousel.”

Ok then, I walked right out and stood waiting and waiting and WAITING!! Finally when there was no luggage left I went right back to the woman who was incompetent who literally would not speak to me and she waved me to someone else who just got into the office to assist me instead. This lady was a bit nicer however I asked could she check to see where our luggage was or to at least call Midway airport for me. She gave us a number and said, "Nothing I can do. Your bags probably went to LaGuardia airport." I asked if we needed a claim number or to file a complaint. She said no. So off we went without anything and guess what? Best part was we couldn’t even rent a car because the car rental service was having problems letting people drive into New York from Philadelphia.

Well then, we had no choice but to take a Lyft that cost 160 dollars not including the fare we were charged for the E-ZPass which was another 30 dollars. This took us three hours to get from Philadelphia to New York City. Mind you throughout the whole drive my coworker and I were on the phone constantly trying to figure out ourselves as to how we were going to get our bags since we had both called LaGuardia and Philadelphia airports, left messages personally to leave a complaint and speak to managers... which no one ever called me back about. Surprise, surprise! No one ever called back from Philadelphia and we spoke to a woman from LaGuardia two hours later stating she didn’t receive our luggage. Well now I’m really mad. Why can’t anyone figure this out. How hard is this to find luggage?!?

Finally I found a number and called for lost luggage that was not affiliated with the airports just customer care of Southwest. The one woman we spoke to who was the most helpful was Tammie. She was great and actually tried calling all airports to figure out where our luggage may be. She did give us information after we were on the phone for a good 35 min, that my luggage was at Midway but my coworker's luggage was still MIA. Finally some answers although as to how this mishap happened no ** clue. Awesome, she said she would personally make sure my luggage had notes stating that mine was to travel on the next flight to LaGuardia airport while we needed to keep calling LaGuardia to see if we could get answers as she couldn’t get a hold of anyone there. Interesting how people that work for Southwest Airlines can’t get ahold of others who ALSO WORK for the same company.

Nonetheless that is what we did. After leaving two voicemails and calling multiple times we finally received a call to state that there was a plane that just landed from Chicago to LaGuardia and to call back in 30min to see if it arrived. First of all that’s nice however... why don’t you call me back and give me the common courtesy to check on this situation for me. Really... Ok. My coworker calls back, leaves a message and they finally respond stating yes they have her bag. They said they can deliver it which this was around 5pm now. So this was agreed that it would be delivered to the hotel. We arrive to our hotel, and miss our first meeting (thank you Southwest for so far the worst experience and for us missing part of our work conference... Excellent service (sarcasm).

I call multiple times again to make sure my bag was on a plane but my conversations all ended the same saying, "We can’t promise it will get there but call the airport at 845 pm to see if it arrived." I waited and finally called for them to tell me the flight was delayed and call back after 945pm. So my coworker and I did. Her bag never was sent for delivery and mine was yet to be confirmed at the airport but whomever I spoke to on the last phone call was by far the rudest ** I have ever encountered over the phone and I wish I would have taken her name down. She had so much attitude by telling me that she would charge me a delivery fee for my bag and my coworkers bag. Are you out of your ** mind... Your company lost my luggage and shipped my coworker's to the wrong airport. Why the hell would I ever pay for your company's incompetence?

She kept arguing with me and I asked to speak to her manager which ironically enough never happened. She came back on the phone and in her stupid sarcastic tone said, "We will do this as a courtesy IF your bag arrives otherwise it will cost you." As if it was my fault. Like I planned for this to happen, long story short my luggage did come but shocker I had to call again for validation. Our luggage arrived at 7am the next morning and thankfully not charged!!! This lady also failed to mention we would receive an email to confirm shipment and she’s lucky we were still awake at 11pm to complete this portion. I am disappointed at the whole company, minus Tammie who was a sweetheart and actually tried to help us. Everyone else has either no answers, rude, or just plain nasty human beings. Who are you hiring and why can’t you figure it out as we are not in the Stone Age anymore.

Furthermore, I want my coworker to be compensated for having to purchase a Lyft from Philadelphia to New York City along with reimbursing for our flights as this was the most traumatizing experience. Oh and I didn’t even mention we had to go BUY clothes and toiletries because we had no luggage... 140 dollars later as again we were there for business and guess what business attire requires suits!!! Thanks for the crappiest service ever humanly imaginable... Keep it up. Also if I don’t hear from corporate or a manager in regards to this I will be taking this up higher. Best part is I was in customer service before and the customer is always right. They are paying you to have a job. So maybe you should reiterate that to your staff. If maybe I had more of a pleasant experience I wouldn’t be so bitter but unfortunately Southwest left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I purchased two plane tickets for my son and his girlfriend as a high school graduation present. My son lives in MD with this dad and wanted to come visit us for a week before college starts. I never booked tickets or flights before, so I ended up booking two getaway tickets in May for the 2nd week of July 2018. My son called me this morning and told me that they would not be able to come down, and with college starting in the fall, he doesn't think they will be able to come down until sometime next year. I cancelled the reservations and called the number listed on the Southwest Airlines website to get a refund. The representative was so rude to me and flat out told me can't get my money back because these reservations were booked in May. REALLY???!

The money I paid with to get these tickets were supposedly applied to some account for "future flights"??? News flash there isn't going to be any future flights, so instead of my money being put into an account that is NOT going to be used, Give me back my money. I am NOT going to have my money floating around out there somewhere. Ya'll may not care about it, but this is $639.00 I worked extra extra hours at my job for to save and get the money together to purchase the tickets for them as a graduation gift! So yeah this means a lot to me and I WANT MY FULL REFUND!!!

Original review: May 31, 2018

Southwest has been professional, funny, and accommodating. I particularly appreciate being able to change flights without being punished and being able to board with a husband who has a handicap without any problems.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I like Southwest. The best of all the airlines I have fly before. However, I do not like now that although I have not used them in the last year even though I have travel and they delete all my miles. That is not fair, as I think I should delete all the money I paid for it to fly them. Something you earn should not be taken away just like that specially if you were planning on taking advantage of the miles later.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I like this airline. They have a great plan for loading. Also, I like when the plane is not full and they let you spread out in the plane. It seems to be customer friendly too.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I booked a flight to go from Phoenix to Orange County for about $300 per person and I bought tickets for all three of my family (when you could drive there for less than that). I realized I forgot to add my lap baby and so I called into reservations who informed me he would have to remove all three of us from the flight to add the lap baby and I said "okay." Well what he FAILED to mention was that he changed the flight from a wanna get away flight to an anytime flight and charged my card $37 more per person. So that was problem #1.

Problem #2, I changed the flight to return a different day and the cost was $177 more total and I had to call in to reservations to make the change because I couldn't do it online because of the lap baby and then talked with my hubby and decided to just keep the flight the same so called back and changed back to the previous flight but was told the $177 could not be used for refund just a CREDIT good for 1 year. I told them no one informed me of this and I literally had only changed the flight less than 1 hour ago. They said "There is nothing we can do" and pawned me off onto customer relations in which I have to call in the morning and stress about it when I have to work that day.

I used to really like Southwest and maybe in the last 5 years they have made so many changes and in my opinion aren't customer service driven anymore. If I don't get refunded the $111 I was not even told was being charged or the $177 I wasn't informed unable to refund I will go higher and definitely never ever fly them again. And make sure none of my family or friends do as well.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I really like that they don't charge me for changing my flight plans and for how much my bag weighs. Also, the in-flight crew are very comedic.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Good ticketing office, employees and value for the money. Plane info is good and flight attendants trained well. Nice clean plane and on flight snack ok.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong

Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information

1967
2702 Love Field Dr.
Dallas
TX
www.southwest.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business