3.8/5 (786 ratings)

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I left an early Christmas gift on a flight from Logan to Midway. It was wrapped with instructions to not open until Christmas. Once I arrived at my final destination, I called the Lost and Found office in Midway and the woman I spoke with was extremely helpful and told me that they had my gift. She FedEx'd my gift to me and I had it by the end of the week. I am very grateful to Southwest for this experience. I am also grateful for the woman in Midway's Lost and Found office who proved to be kind and extremely helpful!

Original review: March 31, 2021

I hadn’t flown in years, so I was a little anxious, and on top of coronavirus, we had to sit accordingly, and I have extra weight on me so it was hard to sit in a seat with minimal leg room for 2 hours! (Doesn’t sound like your ideal flight does it?) But the airline attendees were fantastic, they just went on doing everything normally and catering to all of our needs. I felt very relaxed with them showing us they were in charge and assured of our flight! And the trip home was even better! I had no one next to me and sat by the exit in the middle for that extra leg room! Would recommend def!

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Southwest Airlines is one of the top airlines that I trust. Their customer service is unmatched. I always feel safe and secure when traveling with them. In having a peanut and tree nut allergy, they always provide a snack that I am able to enjoy without compromising my health. Their employees ensure that all of my questions are answered and they always enforce safety precautions. I love having the ability to bring 2 carry on bags for free. It is a very convenient and reasonable service that other airlines do not offer. The various ticket options are budget friendly and hassle free. Whether you are a first time flyer or a frequent flyer, Southwest Airlines is the way to go!

Original review: March 24, 2021

Southwest (SWA) is the REAL DEAL! I have flown almost every American Airline Company and Southwest have continue to offer more deals and ways to please their customers. I genuinely appreciate the complimentary baggage offer and not putting this financial burden of their customers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. My family has felt very welcome and safe for decades traveling with SWA. I wish I could have the pleasure to work with such an awesome company with co-workers that has fun personalities as they do! They are truly "Fly the friendly skies" in my family hearts... Way to go and thank you Southwest Airlines!

Original review: March 18, 2021

Love Southwest Airline, from the FREE checked baggage, to the excellent Customer Service received at every point from the Station to inflight. I like that their website has no hidden fees, and seats are chosen as you board, so the earlier you check-in within 24 hours of your flight then the earlier you board to find your seat. You can also pay for “early-bird" check in at a fee of $15-$25 per person per segment. I feel safe flying with Southwest, as a employee owned business I believe not only do they go that extra mile, but their planes are maintained

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

First things first...we always fly Southwest Airlines. Today 12-25-2021 fly flight 800 to Las Vegas. We are business class which means we paid more for our flight and board before everyone else, which was to depart at 5:55 PM, but did not depart until 6:55 PM, their 1st strike. 2nd strike.... The "LADY" taking everyone's ticket was a complete sociopath and verbally assaulted my wife and myself because I asked about the 25 or so "pre-board passengers" which I've never seen in 40 years of flying.

She actually stepped up to me to chest bump me, saying "this was her flight" and we can't board because I mentioned we can't see her hidden badge to complain about her. Complete psycho, tried to get me to touch her. Said, we had to step aside so everyone else could board before us. This lady has zero reason to still be employed in customer service or by Southwest Airlines. Absolutely thee worst airport experience ever. I guess we'll fly Alaska from now on. DEUCES.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

Very rude people. I was told I had to pay extra to sit with my man and they had open seating. She stood there And argues about it. Never flying Southwest again. We all had seat numbers that should been enforced. She never apologized once. Then my friend was in a wheelchair only to the door she planned on walking on plane, they argued about that as well.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Updated on 12/29/2021: For the overall flight, I would give it 4 stars. The customer service reps are the worse. I booked a flight for my wife and I to Jamaica. We are on the bigger side so I booked a 3rd seat. The customer service lady told me that I would be able to get a refund once I returned from my trip. I called SW when I returned home and they took all my info. The lady told me it would take 5-10 business days to get my refund back. After the 10th day, still no refund, I called SW and checked the status. The lady told it could now take up to 3 weeks to get my refund. I called one more time on that week and a young man told me that he sees the refund has been processed and I should see the refund soon. We are now on business day 18 and still no money. So I called again. This time I was told it could take between 30 to 60 days. Buyer beware. If you try to get a refund from SW they will keep you chasing.

Original Review: Booked 3 seats since my wife and I on the bigger size. Customer service person that booked my flights advised when I get back home, call the customer service number and I would get a refund on my 3rd seat within 5-7 business days. So when I got back, I called SW and they took all my info for the refund and she stated she would get it processed. She told me the refund would take 5-10 business days. So today on the 10th day, there is still no refund. I called SW customer service to get an update. The lady told me I should be getting this any day now. After thinking about how the conversation went, I called back again. This time a different lady told me they are now running behind in the refund department and they just finished November refunds. She went on to say I need to give it another week or so. SW is quick to take your money but slower than snails to refund your money.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I am so disappointed with Southwest. I was recommending them to friends, but now I am telling them not to fly with them because they are not willing to help their customers and unethical in their policies. If your Southwest ticket was affected from the pandemic and the expiration date was extended to 9/2022, beware as once you buy a ticket now with your travel funds from the cancelled pandemic flight, and then decide that you have to change that ticket, your expiration will be only about 15 days from the day you cancel the new flight.

They say that this is in the fine print, but why are they making the expiration date so much earlier anyway and who reads the fine print. This is so deceiving because you think you are going to still have until 9/2022 to use it. I cancelled my flight in mid October and expiration date was now changed from 9/2022 to 10/23/21. I've called and asked to get it changed back to the 9/2022 expiration date, but this is the response I received, "It truly saddens me that we are not able to honor your request on this occasion. Your situation falls subject to our policy that must be upheld in order to maintain the integrity of our operation, and I am deeply sorry that I am unable to do more." The sad part about this was that I spent more money when I bought this new ticket only to have it expire in less than a month and lost about $215. Why are they talking about integrity? Anyway, I hope this helps someone before they don't want to fly Southwest anymore.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Do not fly this airline. Especially if you have a connecting flight. Missed connection due to waiting for weather… Ok, fine. This has happened many times. To my surprise, I was left stranded in a different state for over about 24 hours until I could get on another flight. Southwest does not work with other airlines, so you are stranded. I had to spend an additional 140$ for a hotel and the costs just snowballed from there. The miserable woman in lost baggage was horrible to everyone in line. I will spend the extra money to fly Delta next time. Alaska should win out in the West Coast. It’s not even a holiday weekend and experiencing these difficulties is ridiculous. Horrible airline. Don’t learn the hard way.

Southwest Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information