2.76/5

1410 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

Good afternoon. I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and share with you why you have converted me from another airline for life. My wife’s Grandmother was in her last days and hours of her life, the last week of March this year. My wife and I had planned on traveling to see her, and had a ticket purchased already for my wife and one of my daughters, but we needed it changed and needed to get me and my other daughter a flight. For my work, I travel quite frequently from Nashville to Dallas among other places on another airline. Because of my status I like them to continue to build points with them. I called them first to book myself and my daughter a flight to Phoenix. They were of no assistance, would not budge on the price for an emergency, and would still charge me a large amount to move my points.

I hung up. My wife then called Southwest. Not only did they get us booked last minute, they adjusted the pricing for an emergency, and helped us the whole way thru it moving our points around etc... Even when we got to the airport, they bumped us to an even earlier flight to get us there as quickly as possible. What a blessing it was to fly with you. If we would have went with the other airline, or had we not been bumped up to an earlier flight, we would not have made it in time to see her grandmother before she passed. We arrived within less than 2 hours of her passing. What you do for people every day may seem routine, but for us, it was a life changing moment.

Having my wife be there before her grandmother passed means more to me than I can possibly express to you. As a result, I have decided to switch to Southwest for all of my work and personal trips going forward even though I do not have status with you. Sometimes I fly out of Knoxville where you do not service, but other than that, I will forever use you now. Thank you for making such a hard time for my family, just a little easier. God Bless you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Southwest Airlines is the only way to fly!!! They take care of their customers and go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed on each flight. I work sometimes out of town and I never exactly know what time my day may end, but I know I can check the flights or call Southwest to change my flight with little to no expense to me and when I say little, I believe the most I have paid has been $8.00, you cannot beat that. I know when I have had to fly with another airline and requested to change my flight, I have been told it will cost me $150 to $200 to change the flight. I can take a carry on the plane with no extra charge to me.

The flight attendants are always so nice and accommodating to your needs. The pilots' comments are hilarious and puts me at ease. I changed my schedule a few months ago in which I paid $8.00 and ended up delayed at another airport due to weather conditions. I wasn't upset at all, I'd rather be safe. Days after I arrived home, I received an email from Southwest giving me a $100 voucher for future travel with them. I was not expecting this, didn't feel as they needed to do this, but that is who they are. I will not fly with any other airline unless I absolutely have to!!! I highly recommend Southwest Airlines!!!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Always, check other flights 1 Day Before and 1 Day After, your intended travel date. Often you will discover better price(s) for flexible dates. Consider travel connection cities, before booking. Once you have your e-ticket, get your group boarding class no later than 23 hours Before your Departing Day. Have comfortable walking shoes. Weather changes will occur often.

Made that mistake myself, traveling between Tampa, Florida and Austin, TX. Tampa was 79 degrees and non-stop Austin was 39 degrees. Tampa, has good veteran and disability security assistance towards boarding flights. Austin, has poor veteran and disability security assistance personnel. When traveling between Austin and Dallas Love Field, Austin took longer than the actual flight. Austin security, put 3 security personnel on my physical inspection, causing me to board our flight in tight seating due to security delays. We request the boarding with disability to ensure safety for ourselves and other travelers on 737 planes. Dallas Love Field, had good veteran with disability assistance and ensured we got on our flight, non-stop to Tampa. If we have to travel within Texas again, we will avoid Austin, altogether. May even consider rail travel.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Outstanding customer service and personnel on the ground (phone, airport) and on the air. Very nice leather seating, easy to glide in and out of, easy to wipe (if needed). Bags included in your ticket price. Single class of service - everyone gets treated with equal respect and deference. No silly games to be played for upgrades. Excellent cancellations policy - a win-win situation: client doesn't lose value, airline doesn't lose money. The Rewards program is simple: collect miles/points a couple of ways (flying, spend with airline, shopping through portal, co-branded CCs, transfer from other CCs), use miles for tickets.

For the more ambitious or the *extremely* frequent flyers there are a couple of extra programs to aim for: A-list and Companion Ticket. The companion ticket is one of the most valuable perks out there. Thankfully, on occasion Southwest provides ways for non 100 segment-flyers/year to achieve it. $8 door to door in-flight internet is good for anyone who cannot untether. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks to keep one hydrated, included. And the good humor and talent of the flying personnel: free for all to enjoy!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have flown with Southwest for a while now, always to one location: Charleston International. Unfortunately, there is no straight way there. Because of this, I've had lots of layovers in many of their locations. I've been to the Denver, Houston, Chicago, and with my next trip, the Baltimore airport. I've had maybe 6 flights now and not many bad experiences.

Overall, not bad at all. I usually am allowed TSA Pre-Check without applying, I always get early-bird, and seats aren't bad. Of course sometimes, things will be delayed. I noticed this especially in Chicago Midway, but that is just because that airport is notorious for delays. The whole time, Southwest never alarmed anyone and remained calm no matter the delay. The flight attendants are super nice and care about safety and regulation.

Two Things: You can watch the baggage people practically chunk your luggage around, which I've noticed many times. I was on a flight in Denver going to Will Rogers Airport where the flight was so full, that one girl could not find a seat near her mother - or a seat at all. It was overbooked. I hope everything got worked out but Southwest is pretty stubborn about refunds. Overall, good stuff. We'll see if this next trip continues to meet my expectation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: June 25, 2019

It's been a very long time since I have experienced such a rude and uncaring employee as I did this past Saturday (June 22nd) at the Southwest counter in the Nashville International Airport location. My son and I arrived at the airport and had to visit the full service area because of a flight delay. We received a minimal greeting as we stepped up to the counter and the agent was extremely curt with her responses. She barely explained what options were available to get us back home and I had to suggest airports that were near the original destination.

When asked about reimbursements for either a ride sharing service to our house or for a hotel night to fly the next day, her only response was "No". Not, "I'm sorry we don't do that" or at least splitting the cost, she could only say "No" in a very uncaring and rude manner, with a completely stone cold look. When I asked why she wouldn't do anything, her reply was the flight is delayed because of weather and it wasn't Southwest's fault or their problem. Translated to English: It's YOUR fault and YOUR problem.

I was completely shocked at her attitude, it really took me by surprise. Here's the Southwest mission statement: "The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit." Obviously these are just words and have no meaning in the real world. To really make a point and drive the stake through our hearts, Southwest completely destroyed one of our bags and we had a $60 ride home. (We did receive compensation for the destroyed bag and a toiletry bag inside so I guess that's a small victory against corporate greed.)

I know Southwest is the low cost airline but this is beyond being a bunch of penny pinchers. There is no excuse for the treatment I received and the absolutely callous attitude of their employee. I'm not a regular traveler but I've flown on Southwest several times and had good experiences. I like saving money but it will be worth spending a few dollars more not to ever do business with them again.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I received a text message the morning of my flight from LAX to Denver stating it was canceled. Went to the airport and they placed me on a flight to Denver where the flight was delayed for 2 hours. After being in Denver for 6 hours, I walked on the plane and the blonde stewardess turned her head and didn't greet me coming on or getting off. I was not offered a snack or anything to drink...just poor customer service.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Today I had a flight to Burbank from Denver at 2:10PM. At 8:55AM I received a message from Southwest stating that my flight was canceled and to rebook. NO other options were provided me and ALL SW flights to ALL Southern California locations including San Diego were SOLD OUT. Evidently SW has NO AIRLINE RELATIONSHIPS and could not book me on another airline. Conclusion is I had to cancel my flight with the only alternative being DELTA at $ 1,950. I've flown SW for 35 years but once is all it takes. Cut up the credit card and stay away from Southwest Airlines. I am afraid to use miles now for pleasure not knowing if either leg will get canceled and me being stranded somewhere or not going at all. Horrific customer service!

Original review: June 22, 2019

Not happy with the delay in our returning flight. Southwest held up our late night flight waiting for three passengers to arrive from another flight which had been delayed. The significant added delay results in a later drive home, well past our intended travel plans. I assumed that if passengers were late, with their plane not arriving until after the scheduled take-off, they would be rescheduled, not hold the entire flight back. Punctuality is important. If I cannot depend on an airline to keep to a reasonable schedule, I will find a different airline. The plane was supposed to be in the air by now, and we are still waiting.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I was heading to SF from Orange County on Southwest Airlines. I got up early for the flight. As I lined up with other passengers to board the flight, we were suddenly told the flight was cancelled, without any explanation. We were left to scramble for another Southwest flight without any help from Southwest attendant. No compensation were given. I read from different leading newspapers, that Southwest has been cancelling flight without warning and doing last minutes. My gut feeling is that they are trying to increase profit by taking advantage of the customers. By cancelling flights last minutes, the passenger has no time to get a refund and is forced to give in and scramble to pack into their other flights which might not go to desired destination the customer had paid for. This way they would save fuel money. It is too bad the federal government don't have stronger law to protect the customer from airline taking advantage from customers.

It is for this reason, I have stopped flying with Southwest, because you just don't know what will happen when you book a flight with them. Also as a company, Southwest has changed, they are more about bottom line and had no problem screwing their customers over. I looked at how much I have spend flying with Southwest throughout the years ($30,000 to $50,000) and how I and other royal Southwest customers are treated, it has been very disappointing.

Original review: June 20, 2019

All of a sudden, this is like traveling from Istanbul to Jakarta. No plane I take from Dallas Love leaves on schedule, and often not at all. Their schedules are clearly BS when made each day. Their employees fail the “old Southwest culture;” they’re rude, inefficient and don’t take care of their clients or their equipment. I am trying to move to another airlines permanently, costing them my own 40 round-trip flights per year. They won’t miss me, I know. A nasty freaking experience is what you can expect from this has-been airlines.

Flight scheduled for Wed., 8:50P. Flight cancels, as is usual, three hours before go time. The flight I can get on has two connections (to replace my non-stop). I risk the final connection due to their tardy arrivals, of course. And, I do miss the final connection due to late flights. No hotel offered in place of the night I spend in the airport, and why? They’d go broke giving away hotel rooms! “Suckwest AIRLINES...let us use your money for a while before you ask for a refund!”

Original review: June 16, 2019

To all ** flyers who gave Southwest 1 star and up review rating, you guys are morons! Flight delayed 2 hrs to destination. And another 2 hrs delay on return. Open seats are ** catered to all the self centered **. My 9 years old was splitted up from my spouse and me. Guess what? 9 years does not seem to qualify family boarding! But it's against the law due to the fact it's a minor needs adult supervision! ** Southwest customer service offered to cancel my flight to refund my tickets. How do I fly back home? Solution that does not make sense!

I have not flew Southwest for over 20 years, this is my most regretted decision to choose Southwest again. This will be my last time. When I spend my money on air ticket I expect seat entitlement not seat lottery. It also took an elderly and a ** stewards to serve drinks and snacks not until at last 30 mins of 3 hour flight! No thanks Southwest. There are airlines much better deserve my business. All all the ** dumb self centered ** who supported Southwest, may your journey be a hell one!

Original review: June 10, 2019

Dallas Love is fine. The SW employees are absolutely terrible here. Flew in from Tulsa after our original connection had been cancelled so the desk attendant there gave us "extra time boarding" so my work companion and I could sit together. Boarded in Tulsa fine. Tried to board at Dallas Love with the same boarding pass note and was told I was absolutely not able to board with extra time and because of the tornadoes, flights were delayed so basically, too ** bad. No sorry for the confusion, no apologies for cancellations or delays. Just awful. All before our flight was delayed, yet again, for another "first officer" who couldn't fly because of FAA regulations. Sloppy, sloppy Southwest. I was ready to write a glowing review of your customer service out of Tulsa.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I'd expect this if they were truly still a low cost airline but they rescheduled both my outgoing and incoming flights and never notified me. Lost direct flights and gained 2 stop flights. Never again.

Original review: June 9, 2019

What's not to love about Southwest? They are on time and always have kind, genuinely helpful staff. I have never had a poor experience - likely due to the employees actually being the owners. No change fees, no baggage fees - no hidden fees that all the other airlines have!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I travel from San Juan to Florida and back, this free seating does not work for large groups of families traveling with children between the ages of 9-15 because young people can be seated away from their parents. It happened to me and because they were minors they did not take me out of the line of the emergency exit, and my 13 year old girl was far from me, I had to excuse that they would at least sit her near her brother. I do not recommend Southwest because the prices are not different from other airlines that if you have a reserved seat and with large groups of family accommodate us together. Otherwise good treatment and good cleaning. The entertainment good.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Always late, full of lame lies and b.s.excuses as to why. The last 6 months flying them for both personal and business has been horrible. Never again. Tonight got notice flight was 1 hour late, 30 minutes later notified on time with a gate change. Then just before boarding were told 'plane was too heavy', found a plane just landing, changed gates again.... Waited for it unload. Guess what? Leaving an hour late!! Good thing I have carry on luggage.

Original review: May 29, 2019

After arriving at Midway to make a connecting flight to BWI (Baltimore, MD) for a business trip, we had an embarrassing, RUDE gate agent that separated us because although we 1) booked the flights together and 2) checked in together, our “#’s were 8 apart. Really? We couldn’t board together? Rot in hell Attila. Delta will get our business.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I was on a flight from DC to KC on Tuesday, May 28th. Due to weather we got a text two hours before our flight saying it was cancelled. When we called to get a flight out the earliest one that could get us home would’ve landed us at midnight, when we got to our layover city no one knew anything about the weather in KC or what was going on. They eventually found out the KC airport was closed and offered to get us a flight out NEXT DAY AT 7 pm. They offered no hotel accommodations and my sister left for the Peace Corps for over two years the following morning, I not only lost out of my last night with her but then didn’t even get to say goodbye.

They offered no help on getting me on an earlier flight and expected us to stay in the airport for the next 22 hours. I’ve always heard good things about Southwest but you can assure this will be my last travel experience with them. I’m not only shocked and appalled but will never forget how they stole my last night and goodbye to my sister away from me.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I had scheduled a round trip for 3 and the returning flight fare changed to a lower fare. I attempted to modify the flight given that it was the same flight number and same time in order to save $10 dollars. I was not able to modify using the app then I tried on my PC and I kept seeing an error. I called during my lunch hour, it was 40 minutes before anyone could give me an answer as to why the system was not letting me modify the returning flight.

Finally, I was told that there was a kink and that the flight had been modified by the airline and that I needed to call the Customer Affairs phone number 855-234-4654 option #5. I didn't have another hour to spare so I waited a couple of days to call, thinking that Southwest Airlines would honor the price due to the kink in the system that wouldn't allow me to modify my returning flight.

I called and the 2 options I had: 1) wait for the next available representative wait time 42 minutes or 2) send an email and wait for the case to be reviewed and receive an answer via email. I decided to wait, I waited for 41 minutes exI explained my situation then waited again. At the 50 minute point in the call, the representative tells me that he cannot find a lower fair price than what I paid and that he cannot honor the lower price based on my word given that the other representative didn't leave comments under the account. This was a waste of time and money and effort, so disappointed.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Southwest discriminates due to age. I arrived to get my boarding pass last night for flight 1228, (May 24TH), Confirmation number: **. I was waiting in line and I was first. The ticket agent said, "NEXT" so I stepped up, she waved for these identical twins around 20 years old to be served next and accused me of cutting in line, she stated in a very loud voice, "Ma'am, you just cut in line. I was wanting to wait on them." I stated, "But I was first," she said "No you weren't" and another agent stepped in and said, "Come over here," which I did. Because her voice and tone was a fighting vibe, I said, "What is your name?" She kept turning from me so I could not read her name tag. She said loudly, "Ma'am you know you cut in line!" I said, "How do you spell your name?" I could not read it and she gave me a phony name.

I alerted her that was a secret shopper as a job and I was going to do a report and I needed her real name. She then said, "I really don't care, I get more praise than neg. reports!" I said she didn't deserve this job if she felt she could abuse customers. She said in a real nasty tone, "I don't care what you say Ma'am and HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!!!"

I then when to my gate and asked to talk to a supervisor. When Amy ** arrived I asked to video our conversation because I didn't have a pen. She said absolutely not! I told her my side of this story and she said, "I can see that you are very disappointed with us." I looked at her and said, "Amy, I want a resolution, how can that happen." She state she would talk to her but I would never hear of the outcome. I said, "Amy....do you know my name? Am I invisible to you? Is that how Southwest treats cattle? Because I am a secret shopper, I will do reports on how this made me feel, however I have a idea how Southwest could improve customer relations that I will only reveal to someone who can implement this new idea." She said, "I could pass it on," LOL! Amy **, Above the wing supervisor, LOL! Southwest is not the same after Herb died sadly.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I will say that it is not necessarily the company but how they handle employees that are rude and disrespectful to their customers. I will be making a call tomorrow to customer relations, making a formal complaint regarding the boarding attendant. Denver to Tucson flight 2220 May 22, 2019, gate C27. This person threatened to arrest me moments after she preboarded me due to a plane swap and a hour and half delay. She scanned my boarding pass and I proceeded through the Concorde with the others. Then I hear this employee's yelling "Hey Lady come back here!" I looked back and thought she was speaking to someone else and continued walking. She yells again, "You in the pink shirt." (My shirt was peach.) She then becomes angry and instructed me to obey her orders. I will say that did not go over well with me, especially in the disrespectful way she summoned.

When I was within earshot of her I said "what is it that you need?" She at this point started threatening me she would call security, I again said "what is it that you need?" Her response was for me to calm down and follow orders. I'm thinking, "What the hell is going on?" Then security shows up taking me aside about 2 feet, well within boarding passengers' view. The security guard was about a foot taller than me and had at least 200 hundred pounds on me, she gets up in my space and starts with do I want to be detained, or removed from the flight? I again ask, "What is it that you need!?" Again and again.

Finally I'm told my driver's license. Didn't questioned why, I've never boarded a plane and been asked to return with my I.D. Matter of fact never been asked for ID while boarding. I of course obliged, I could see this was not going well, at this point I would be lucky to get home by 1 am in my 10th hour of travel. I am a healthy, athletic young 58 year old woman who had not been drinking. I was tired yes, during the delay I walked the airport racking up some unexpected steps. My first facial reaction was to the utter disrespect of this Southwest boarding attendant addressing any one us as "Hey lady you need to follow orders". I will say that did not go over well. I will be calling customer relations tomorrow and will update.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My reservations have been changed numerous times before my flight... It then got cancelled less than 24 hours before my flight through text. I was busy throughout the day so I didn't read my text till late. I had to call in late at night to rebook my tickets. It then got cancelled again on my return flight back home less than 3 hours before my flight. It was an early flight so I had to call a family member in the middle of the night to tell them the updated plans, which they had taken off work to pick me up because the airport was 1.5 hours away. This is very INCONVENIENT!! Did the owners of Spirit airlines taken over Southwest????

Original review: May 17, 2019

Southwest cancelled our flight 5-12-2019, 10 minutes before boarding time @ 7:40 to leave @ 8:10 am. Tried jumping on another flight. They couldn't get us there till 9 pm. We had to change airports, change airlines (American) and paid $2,300 to get to Denver for a wedding at 2pm. We were still late, Southwest would only refund the tickets & send $100 vouchers (who wants to fly with Southwest if all you do is cancel flights????). Just to get from Love Field to DFW was a $50 Taxi ride. On top of paying $741 each person (3) each way. Southwest is seriously a JOKE of a company. Our primary airline is always Frontier when we travel to Denver (no available seats).

Original review: May 16, 2019

On April 27th I took flight #3121 from Phoenix, AZ to Buffalo, NY for my father-in-law's funeral. This flight had 143 passengers on board with 2 bathrooms, 1 front & 1 rear. Our attendant, Jody, closed the front bathroom 1 hour before landing. Pilot came out to use which was fine. It was then left closed and when I asked "Jody" when it would reopen, I was told, "It is staying closed until I say it isn't closed!" in a very stern and nasty manner. My seat mates and I were shocked at her response. My seat mate then told me that the attendants were having some kind of party in the front as there was a shrimp ring out and they seemed to be socializing. Really? Jody shut down 1 of 2 bathrooms for at least 20-25 minutes in the hour before landing! This attendant should be fired.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The flight attendants gave excellent service. However, the female flight attendant wore such heavy perfume that the entire front of the cabin reeked of it. I spent most of the flight holding my hand in front of my nose to try to block the smell. I am allergic to perfume and being in an enclosed space for a long period of time gave me a horrific headache. I saw that others in the front of the plane kept rubbing their noses as well. I am really surprised that Southwest allows their attendants to wear perfume, especially strong perfume.

Original review: May 15, 2019

WOW! Southwest canceled our flight after midnight the day of our flight at 6:30am! We got a hotel ($241.00), had to get another flight on Frontier for $591.00 (one way) because Southwest did not have another flight... and all they said was sorry! Never flying Southwest again! #southwestsucks Oh wait. They did reimburse us $128.98 X 2 for our flight!!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was on a Southwest Flight and another passenger was seat saving on a rather full flight. After being denied a seat I had to walk up and down the aisle to find a seat I could finally sit in. I complained to Southwest Customer Service and they told me that seat saving was a completely acceptable practice and that they don't enforce their open seat policy.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We flew Southwest from Dallas Love Field to Albuquerque, NM, all went well. Then at 3 am we receive a "flight Cancellation" notice via text. Sure Southwest will rebook your flight at no extra charge. BUT WHEN???? The next day, week, month or year? If you need to get back at the time you booked for, well that'll cost you "Extra"?!!! We will never Fly SW again. They don't really care. NO MORE SW!!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I went to the website and noticed I had Rapid Rewards miles. As such, I needed to book a return flight from LAS. They prompted me that I needed 2,000 pts to purchase the ticket with point. I bought the points and immediately the pts to buy the ticket also increased. I have never been so upset at an airline in my life. Called customer service and there was no resolution for my issue, no refund for the pts. Zero ** were given by their agents. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH NO RESOLUTION. I will never fly with them again. I hope they can sleep well at night knowing they are doing a terrible job.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information