1.92/5

1242 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I cancelled my latest flight from BWI to Portland ME by using a SW email link. I received notice that the flight was cancelled on the same page. But the flight was "not cancelled" per SW and I forfeited not only the flight TO but the entire round trip. Customer relations said there was no recourse. This makes me upset not only because of the loss of money, but I will question flying SW in the future. I have flown SW for quite some time and appreciated the speed of boarding and baggage pick-up, friendliness of everyone involved and the ability to change/cancel flights. Lesson learned. Call for cancellation. Get a cancellation email and save it. A Very unhappy customer.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I am very disappointed that Southwest Airlines will not take expired drink coupons anymore. SWA provided me with 36 Replacement Drink Coupons as a result of Southwest Class Action Lawsuit. I don't travel a lot and ALL of them except for the 2 I used are now expired! They won't take expired vouchers anymore and I really think that this was a strategy for them to not have to pay people as they knew many if not most for the vouchers would never get used! I would really like to have the opportunity to have the vouchers extended so they can be used. If this is possible please let me know and I'll be happy to send them in for new ones.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

In general, we liked the Southwest experience, but even more troubling than the cramped seating was the fact that 5 minutes before we were supposed to be boarding, the wrong gate number was still on the departure board. Just as I realized that the plane hadn't rolled up yet, the PA system announced that our flight was now boarding at a completely different gate nine gates away. We ran to the gate and just made it, but were left wondering who was supposed to put the gate number on the board. Was it the airline's fault that the wrong number was there, or not? Anyway, later we realized that the Scandinavian family, including a nursing baby, that we had left at the wrong gate, was probably there for the same flight we were. They were not on the plane.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I do not recommend this airline. I have given it a few tries and every time I’m severely disappointed. ALWAYS delays and never do they update you on that status. It’s extremely frustrating when you have constant miscommunication and never consistency. Saw a few people stuck at the airport too because they couldn’t find their flight in the system even though they checked in online already and everything. Oh, and the worst part is not having assigned seating. I don’t usually write bad reviews but felt this one was necessary as I am extremely disappointed with this last flight more than others. It’s not like it’s much cheaper than other flights anyways. If looking for a recommendation - I think it may be best to choose another airline for your flight.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was stranded in Louisville Ky, 9-21-18, because my flight was late arriving and would miss my connection in Phoenix. Your on duty manager, Chrissy?, solution was to give me a blue slip of paper for distressed travelers. I tried the website, broken link, then called. The man on the other end said, "No discount room in Louisville. Try calling around." Thanks. I will never fly your airline. I don't need condescending employees tell me it's not their problem I'm stranded. To top it off I had to go to baggage claims to find a Southwest employee. What was all the customer service employees locked in the break room on their phones Facebooking? You should think about changing your policy about not booking passenger on another airline. Blue skies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

So, I received several emails saying that my son's flights from Point A to Point B and on to Point C were delayed. They told my son is was Love Field's air traffic control tower had a fire. Well, the Dallas PD at Love Field hadn't heard about that. The air traffic control tower at Love Field hadn't heard about that either. So, there was no fire. They just said that to keep people from getting mad. Well, I'm ticked beyond belief because I HATE it when people blow smoke up my **! Rapid Rewards Number: **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

If my last flight with Southwest is indicative of how this airline operates then Southwest has gone down the tubes. On my flight the flight attendants were rude, the pilot was awful. It never used to be like this. I added a star because I arrived in one piece.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Southwest is being money hungry and also dismissive to concerns on program and pricing changes. And they used a bait and switch method. I booked my flights some time ago and was offered the early bird check in option at an additional cost of $60 RT for my wife and I. I went back to book it and now the price is $100. When I called, I was told that the program changed at the end of August. Mind you the $60 is already a fee to get checked in early so you have a better boarding group time so you can rush on and pick your seats. The other airlines allow you to select a seat at booking so you do not have to get on the plane searching for your seat and beat out someone else like it is the last bottle of water before a hurricane. I would have saved money going with another carrier and not had to pay for the privilege of getting a better line up position to then still have to search for two seats together where we would like to sit.

I talked to a few lower level staff that agreed with me that I should be able to get the original rate I was quoted at the time of booking. However, they could not help me. They did say they are getting similar feedback and it is not going over well. I called corporate at their direction and that got worse. The person at corporate was unapologetic and cold professional. She informed me that basically it is an ancillary rate and they have the right to change it at any time. She did understand my point about being offered a price on an already booked flight but was unwilling to do anything to assist. She then said they notified people by placing a disclaimer on their site for 8 days at the end of August.

I had already purchased my ticket and have the app so had no reason to go back on the site. No email or reaching out to someone that already purchased. So they took what was already a junk fee for something no one else charges for and increased it to make more profit. She said well at the lower cost too many people were using it so it was not really an advantage to those buying it. And based on that feedback they felt raising the price to reduce the number of people purchasing it would make it more valuable for those buying it.

I mean they could have just limited it to the first 50 people that purchase it or something like that. So buy early and get the advantage. That is how the best seat assignments work on other airlines. Instead they would thin the herd by raising the price and pricing people out in order to make it a better experience for those that can and are willing to pay. It is a greedy money grab. They sell themselves as different, and better and “we got rid of assigned seats and tickets to make fares lower.” But really it just is good marketing because they intend to get it from you on the back end. In all actuality I could have gone with another airline and saved and had seat assignments and not had to pay an extra fee. And this day and age no longer do they really have to print that many paper tickets with tickets on phone apps.

At the end of the conversation I recapped that they offered a price on a confirmed booking and then changed it later without due diligence notification. I informed her that it was a bait and switch and also poor form for such a respected company. It was underhanded and not appreciated and was just raising what was already a junk fee. Informed them I would file complaints with the appropriate regulatory bodies as well. She gave me a call record number then had the audacity to ask if I wanted to go ahead and purchase the early bird check-in at the new higher price. That is what I was complaining about, really? I will just wake up early the day before to check in. They will not get another dollar from me and I will use another airline in the future.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I made a mistake transferring Rapid Rewards points between my wife and my account that cost me $600. I noticed it immediately and called to reverse the transaction. They said they couldn't help. If you dig into the terms and conditions under the section on transfer points it does not say you can't reverse a transaction in that section. In their favor it does state non-refundable transactions in the general terms section. The information they provide on their website seems intentionally vague in an attempt to entice the customer to hit submit. It was not clear they were going to charge me to transfer points. It was unbelievably greedy to the point I overlooked it. The customer service representatives admit they could reverse the transaction if the situation were different but in this case they were unwilling to help. I'll be sure to consider other airlines first for future flights.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I was paying close attention to the flight attendants and noticed that not only did none of the cabin crew smile one single time or interact cordially with any passenger, the two women in the back 2/3 of the plane were snarky to the point that the larger woman was rolling her eyes at peoples' comments and requests, and the other one was rudely ordering people around. Maybe they were just having a bad day, but I've never seen this on Southwest before, and I fly it regularly. The larger woman was snapping refreshments out to passengers in the window seats without making eye contact, while staring straight ahead down the aisle as if she were bored to death. She would just hold the item with outstretched arm until somebody finally grabbed it. I smiled at her every time she saw me and each time she just scowled at me.

On top of that, about 30 minutes into the flight she put on extremely pungent perfume which stank up the cabin (I'm particularly sensitive to fragrances, as they give me allergic reactions, so I was miserable the rest of the flight and had to hold my breath when she walked by). Besides my personal problems with fragrances, I thought society had taught us by now that cigarette smoke, bad language, and smelly perfume in confined spaces with strangers is a no-no. Amazing that Southwest has fallen so far down on training and/or enforcement. Could America's favorite airline be turning into American and United?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On a recent five hour cross country flight, I had the audacity to ask for two snacks. The attendant mutters "Let's not be greedy." Had I known that there was a one-item limit on the snacks, I would not have asked for more. Had I known that the flight attendant could call a passenger greedy, I would not have flown with Southwest. Humiliating experience. Even though she said she was kidding, what is funny about that???

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Southwest lost my luggage on a flight from West Palm Beach to Baltimore. The Southwest Airline “customer service” agents in Baltimore were outright rude and indifferent about it. I was given an incident report (not fully filled out) and told they had no ability to track luggage and that if they did the ticket would cost $75 more. Interesting since Southwest has a total monopoly on all flights to and from those cities. That’s why they get away charging on average a thousand dollars round trip. It was like pulling teeth just to get them to tell me there was nothing they could do about try to find my luggage except wait Five days for it to show up somewhere. After five days, I was told I could go to their website and fill out a claim form. This event got even more absurd as it became clear that a distinctive silver hard cased piece of luggage was sitting or traveling somewhere and that this airline has virtually has no concern or coherent policy regarding lost luggage.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Me and my friend (Sayali **) bought two separate tickets from Charlotte to Baltimore and returning to Charlotte on the same day (08-25-2018). MY friend missed the morning flight and luckily got another flight with another airlines and reached Baltimore. During return (BWI-CLT), she was denied for boarding and was said that her flight ticket was cancelled. The staff refused her entry even though many seats were not taken.Worst experience!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Cancelled our flight with less than 6 hours notice. No other flights available for the day. We drove 2.5 hours to another airport just for that SW plane to be delayed 5 hours! They refused to compensate us. They might be cheap but you get what you pay for! Stay away from Southwest Airlines!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Southwest is running a scam, unilaterally canceling flights and trying to blame Air Traffic Control (ATC) in order to avoid issuing voucher passes to its customers. Our Sunday, August 12th flight WN6010 from MKE to DCA was canceled at 9:30 am CT via email to us, even though it was to land at 4:35 pm ET, six hours later. Call center blamed ATC and said, "Go get whatever SW seats are left Monday or Tuesday back to your area" (which was nil). They happily said that "customer service is not available today, they open at Sunday 3 pm". They also happily said "there are no managers or supervisors on staff today, it's Sunday." Monday, they happily said "we don't know what airport had the issues." Meanwhile, DCA ATC confirmed they did not issue cancellations or holds, particularly in the early morning for a late afternoon flight. That only happens with hurricanes and Nor'easters.

Meanwhile, EVERY SINGLE OTHER AIRLINER continued to take off and land successfully at DCA from 6 AM to 5 pm when we last checked. SW still cannot verify who or which ATC supposed decided to cancel SW's flights Sunday August 12th. It is certainly a big MYSTERY, especially considering they have no managers or supervisors working on the weekend yet are unilaterally canceling 20% of their flights and trying to blame the FAA and ATC for doing so.

SW needs an investigation into this practice of canceling flights and lying that it is the FAA or ATC. They also need new management since they have some serious crew, fleet and operations problems since they are THE ONLY AIRLINE CANCELLING FLIGHTS. Ironically they canceled our 1:50 pm CT MKE to DCA flight, but continued to run all five of its Midway Chicago (90 miles south) flights to DCA the same day. Someone needs to clean up the BS at SW, fast. We won't be flying them for business or leisure going forward; too unreliable, too untrustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I booked a flight with Southwest Airline for Sunday August 12, 2018 leaving Tampa, FL headed back home to Memphis, TN. While checking my email to ensure I had the correct gate location and departure time, I decided to check in online via Southwest website. To my surprise my flight was CANCELED. I called their company at 11:00 AM and was on hold for 1 hour literally. The first lady who answered said "yes it was cancelled but let me see if there is another flight leaving out the same day." I responded with "why was I not notified by email" and she ignored me. I asked again and was told an email was sent at 9 AM. I told her I check my emails around the clock and would have received a notification. She told me no flights were available for Sunday but I can leave on Monday or she can refund my money. There was no sympathy for what was just caused to me and my son.

I asked to speak with a Manager and her response was "Ma'am he's just going to tell you the same thing" and I said, "I don't care, I need to speak with one." Well the manager was horrible because I told them there was no way I could return Monday and that I was completely stranded and needed to get home Sunday. When I asked why was the flight cancelled he said "the weather." My response was "sir I'm in Tampa and it's clear skies." And the next thing I know I was placed instantly on hold, where I waited minutes and then the phone hung up. I called back several times with no response. I did their callback option when the sweetest woman by the name of Kim took her time trying to get me home on Sunday but said there was nothing else leaving out and it was too late for the one that was leaving at 4. This is how I knew there was a flight but the other two decided my faith even though I informed them of my situation.

Ms. Kim found a flight and told me I could get to the airport and ask for assistance with a hotel but they don't refund money due to weather. She walked me through the flight details and I said, "Wait. Let me take the information down," but she said it's coming through email. I saw the email instantly, so how ironic that hers came through but the alleged cancellation email did not. So my 1 hour no stop trip that was CANCELED has turned into 7 hours + with a stop in San Antonio TX, Dallas, another flight, then home from 3:30 PM - 9:55 PM.

No apology from Management, inconvenienced, stranded with a 12 year old, no clean clothes, no food, and no money. It's safe to say they can take off anytime without my family. This took away the joy, excitement, and turned my day into a living nightmare. For future events, a simple apology, and a notification goes a long way. I could have tried to make arrangements but I guess that wasn't an option for them. Thanks for the disappointment.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Reservations were made by Southwest for my family traveling to Fl. I purchased early bird to ensure we were automatically assigned seats. All passengers except one were placed on early bird, not exactly sure how that happened, however one of the passengers who was charged for early bird made a change to return flight home and the $30 for early bird was not passed to the changed reservation... This airline offers no way to resolve these issues. They are rigid and advertise how flexible they are, it's a complete false claim.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

If you Google "buy Southwest points" an ad pops up at the top of the page stating that Southwest is offering points up to 35% off. When I logged into my account, however, and attempted to purchase the points the discount dropped to 30% off. I spent hours on the phone with Southwest asking them to honor their advertising at 35% off or an explanation as to why I'm only getting 30%. They actually tried to blame it on the third party company that runs their points system!! Ultimately, after speaking with many departments, they would not honor the 35% discount. Several reps told me that when they log into their accounts they are offered the 35% off and, yes, we both read the fine print on restrictions. I'm filing a complaint with the Consumer Fraud Division of the Arizona State Attorney General.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

After accumulating over 70,000 points in the Southwest award program, I found that my balance had been canceled without notification for no activity in two years. If you have a savings account but don’t make a deposit in two years, how would you like the bank to drain your account? Without any notice that they would or had done so. I will never fly Southwest again! So much for “LUV” airline and their friendly service.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I bought tickets, then wanted to cancel and use them later (customer for decades). Then I want to book a flight for September 14th but the trip has to be completed by the 12th to redeem. I was told no one in the entire company can extend that 5 days. Amazingly, I was ready to pay the extra $400 for the trip. If it doesn't get extended, I'm ditching Southwest... not giving them my business.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We had a flight booked from DC to SLC, UT on 7/27/18. We were touring DC and received a txt message stating, "Southwest has cancelled your Flight. Please call 1800-435-9792 to rebook your flight." This was 4 hours before our flight was to depart, which actually gave us 2 hours of notification since we were supposed to arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. I called and spoke with a customer serv agent and asked to be placed on a flight that was an hour earlier than our flight if it was possible. She said ABSOLUTELY and asked me to hold for a moment while she switched our info to that flight. Then she hung up on me.

I called back and the automated system said the current wait time to speak with an agent was 180 mins and an agent would call us back without losing our place in line. We were in the middle of a Tour at Arlington National Memorial. We had to hurry thru the tour and walk quickly back to the hotel to pick up our luggage. We couldnt get ahold of any agent to speak to to try to get another flight. When we did speak to somebody they told us they didnt have any flights and would refund us our money within 24-48 hours business days. We ended up paying 1400.00$ for the same ticket thru a different airline.

Also had to pay 85.00 in luggage fees since Southwest flies 2 bags for free. Also had to pay another 97.00 to taxi to another airport to get on a flight home. My husband is in Law Enforcement and had to get to a training back home on Sat evening 7/28/18. I just contacted SW and they have not yet refunded my 600$ ticket for THEIR CANCELLATION on the flight. They then proceeded to tell me it would be 30-60 days before I saw my refund. How can THEY keep my money for THEIR cancellation, and not to mention the HUGE amount of money we had to spend to find another flight, and the inconvenience of it all??? Dont fly with Southwest!!! They are a huge ripoff and not into customer service...

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have flown exclusively with Southwest for about 6 years. I have just had a long argument with one of their customer relations supervisor, someone named Madison, who was completely robotic in her answers, and couldn't care less about anything I said but continued to keep a tone of know-it-all and "sorry but this are the policies at SW". I had accidentally booked a flight at 7 am instead of 7 pm, this is absolutely my mistake. As usual, I knew after flying with them for years that 24 hours before the flight they email you a reminder. Not having seen any reminder, I checked my flight again and noticed that it was at 7 am and I had "missed" the fight.

I called to ask to help me use that money to re-book the ticket for the first one available, and stuck-up Madison, from her cushy job in the "executive division of SW", informed me that it didn't matter how many times I have flown with SW or how much money I had paid in the past, but the ticket was completely forfeited because I did not show up at my scheduled time, and I had to buy another ticket. I will NEVER use SW again - not that they give a flying ** because one customer is worth absolutely nothing, even if said customer has used them for years. What a bunch of robotic, non-caring **.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I’m reporting what appears like bait & switch with the discount airlines online reservation system. Southwest Airlines continues to have issues with their online reservation system that conveniently will not allow booking of a discounted flight. I have experienced what I’m about to describe on several occasions. My son attends a university near the San Jose airport and it is convenient and inexpensive (usually) to use SWA or Alaska to get him to and from home in Portland. In the past, when I have experienced low fares disappearing or receiving an error when selected, I just figured it was a glitch. However, given the number of times that I’ve experienced it, the practice is a tool to keep customers from getting a discounted fare that is showing as available. This time I documented this experience.

On 7/22, I booked a flight for my son from Portland to San Jose, CA. on SWA. from my computer at https://www.southwest.com/. On 7/22, I tried to book the same flight from Portland to San Jose, CA. on SWA for a companion of my son’s at the same site (https://www.southwest.com/) but using my iPhone. I was able to get the departing flight #4498 at the same fare of $141 “Wanna Get Away” as my son's flight. The return flight, #555 showed “3 left” @ $141 which was the same price as my son’s reservations. When I selected this return flight I received an error “Sorry! We can’t find any seats in the fare class you chose”. I backed out of the transaction and tried again thinking that maybe it was a timing issue but I received the same error.

I exited out of the Southwest Airlines online reservations app and went back in. I logged in again under my log-in (same as before) and tried to book the same flight again. As with the first three attempts, I easily selected the departing flight #4498 at the same fare as my son’s flight but this time on the departure flights displayed they were different and less expensive. When I selected a return flight from the new list (the time was slightly earlier than my son’s return flight) the old departure flights popped up with the original list of departure flights. Weird! I selected the last departure flight for August 2nd, flight #555 which again showed “3-left” at the Wanna Get Away fare of $141. This time I received an error, “Oopps! There won’t be enough time for you to change planes. Please pick a different flight.” This error was not relevant given that it was a direct flight and the only one selected for that day.

I gave up trying to book the flight thinking I would try in the morning, and worst case scenario I would call customer service for their help. On 7/23, I tried again, the departing flight #4498 was now $302 (the night before I was able to select at the “Wanna Get Away” fare), but the return flight on August 2nd, flight #555 (the fare that I kept receiving an error on) was still $141 the “Wanna Get Away” fare. This made the flight go from $282 to $443 a 57% increase. On 7/23, I called SWA customer relations (1-855-234-4654) and waited online for 29 minutes. I spoke to Cal **. When I told Cal my situation, he put me on hold for a period of time and came back and told me that unfortunately he was not able to get the departing flight #4498 for the “Wanna Get Away” fare (not the flight #555 that I was struggling with the night before) and that I had to pay the new fare.

I continued to explain that their site was showing the available “Wanna Get Away” fare but that it wouldn’t let me book it. I find it interesting that the Aug 2nd “Wanna Get Away” flight (#555) I was having a problem with on 7/22 still showed the “Wanna Get Away” fare the next day. I kindly explained that I had experienced this practice before on the reservation site and it appeared like “bait & switch”. I said that someone has the authority to honor the fare. Cal said he was not authorized to do that. I asked to speak to his supervisor, he gave me the name Olivia **, and said someone would call back in 48 hours but he couldn’t guarantee who would call back.

I looked up and called Southwest Airlines headquarters in an attempt to speak to Olivia **. I tried the “employee dial by name” option. There was not an Olivia **. I went to the operator and I asked to speak to Olivia **. The operator hesitated and said, you need to go back to the “employee dial by name”. Before I could say anything, she had transferred me back to the automated system. Clearly Olivia ** is a code word, not a real person. I want these practices to be exposed. I’m seeing more and more of these practices in corporate America and a spotlight needs to be shone on this behavior. Vote with your $$$'s.

Original review: July 20, 2018

So my fiancée and I booked a flight on Southwest in January for a July flight. She wasn't a member at the time. I convinced her to become a member and she booked the return flight. Well because of a death in the family, we decided to cancel the flights. Her departing flight wasn't in her Southwest account because it was booked prior; so she forgot all about it. That flight was booked for yesterday 7/19/18.

That day she received an email from Southwest explaining since she missed her flight her funds were forfeited. We called the customer service line & were told they had a strict policy about "no shows" and had no exceptions. Valerie was really kind when she told me this. I explained it wasn't intentional, my fiancée was a new customer, and honestly forgot to follow up. To no avail. I explained we weren't looking for a refund. We were looking for credit for the flight (approximately a couple hundred dollars). No exceptions. I explained I would like to speak to her supervisor (Olivia); but she wasn't available. So Valerie was happy to have Olivia or another supervisor call me back within 24-48 business hours.

Original review: July 15, 2018

My recent (7/15/2018) Southwest flight, returning home to Phoenix from a weekend trip to Detroit, resulted in lost luggage. As most frequent travelers know, luggage can be frustrating, but most of us understand the experience “goes with the territory”, knowing the airlines try their level best to get customer bags from A to Z with as little fanfare as possible. However, this trip, or lost luggage experience is turning out to be an exception to the rule aforementioned rule. First of all, the gate agent who received my luggage in Detroit at approximately 5:00 am was not the happiest of campers. She abrasively asked me for my identification and ticket, which I provided and she confirmed my first and last name, which matched the information on my government issued Drivers License (AZ) and the recently printed boarding pass.

The next step is the confusing part, because she then places a sticker (my bag receipt) on a boarding sleeve, hands it to me and throws my bag in the air in the general direction of the baggage belt behind her. That really got my attention as this action was unexpected and totally unprofessional. With the distraction of the my flying luggage, I forgot to “look” at the baggage receipt she’d just provided. Upon my arrival in Phoenix, I went to claim my luggage and realized, like other passengers, that my luggage was not at the advertised carousel. After being directed to the Southwest baggage claim station, the customer service representative informed me that my bag was tagged for San Diego via Chicago.

Being a frequent traveler, I do understand that mistakes can happen with baggage being mishandled or lost. However, the gate agent in Detroit confirmed my name and final destination, yet she still placed the wrong name (both first and last) and final destination information on my bag and receipt. Now begins the process of tracking down my luggage, which Southwest doesn’t seem to do very well. This afternoon, I’ve placed 8 telephone calls to Southwest baggage claim areas in Phoenix, Detroit, Chicago, and San Diego, with each call meeting with negative results. The best information I’ve received thus far is that Southwest “does not scan its bags” prior to boarding, so customers are unable to determine what flight on which their checked baggage was placed. No, that doesn’t make sense In 2018, yet here we are.

The single return call I’ve received was from the Southwest call center informing me that Southwest was working on the problem. When I queried the caller, she was unable to tell me “where” my bag was located or “when” it could be retrieved. I’m normally pretty reasonable regarding matters of this type, but Southwest’s inability to answer reasonable questions regarding customer property to which they’ve been entrusted is troublesome. My 7/15 experience with Southwest customer service representatives also gives me pause. Throwing customer property onto a moving baggage belt and being abrasive might be a sign of single employee having a “bad day”, but Southwest’s inability to simply locate my property or provide a reasonable time frame to do so is inexcusable and unprofessional.

I’ve have been a loyal customer for many years, but your failures reflected above tells me there may be a cultural problem in your organization. If you had great customer service, lost my bag, and diligently took steps to find and return it, I would simply say thank thank you. However, that’s not the case here. I would recommend you address “customer service” matters as soon as possible and get back to taking care of people. Hire attentive gate agents with a desire to get it right, and replace your lost and found personnel with resourceful and respectful employees.

Unfortunately, you’ve lost me as a customer. I can’t justify maintaining a professional relationship with an organization that will not be professional in its dealings with me. Finally, if/when one of your customer service agents calls a customer with an update, they should probably address the customer with a “Sir” or "Ma'am”, not by the customers first name.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Spent over an hour trying to book a SWA vacation, and the website is very flawed and totally frustration to use. Locked up and Locked UP and LOCKED UP. Three time I had to exit and restart the entire process in order to get it to take. Totally worthless. Something that should take 10 minutes took over an hour. Called their call back system and after over 30 minutes it would not pick up. Another totally flawed system. Called again. This time would not go on the call back system, and waited 45 minutes, transfer to the SWA Vacation system and the person hung up. Don't waste your time with SWA Vacation, a vacation should be fun, not totally frustrating to set up.

Original review: July 15, 2018

This is the first and last time we are flying with Southwest. Our 10 am flight to Denver was cancelled while we were on the airplane from San Diego to Phoenix. During the connection they gave all the spaces on the next flights to Denver, so when everybody from that connection arrived there was absolutely no flights left until 10:30 pm. (Almost 15h later). Once in the line to get the confirmation to the latest flight of the day, the attendant didn’t care enough to even tell us there was an option to go to the gates and put names on standby lists.

After figuring out by ourselves that some of the company’s planes were landing in Denver and only ours wasn’t, we went from gate to gate to try and stand by. After long lines in all of them, the people that are supposed to help behind the counter didn't even know what they were doing. This one lady even had to call somebody else to give her the instructions on the phone while she was saying she didn’t want us to lose our spot at 10:30 pm. Now we are here waiting on the standby list afraid that we actually will lose the 10:30 pm and not even make it home today. Can’t be more frustrated than this honestly. Never flying with Southwest again.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I would like to commence by stating I have been a loyal customer of Southwest Airlines for over a decade and Asif ** is a valuable asset to the company and McCarran Airport. Southwest lost my loyalty on July 8th. On the other hand, Southwest Airlines thoroughly disappointed me by their lack of communication and the service received from MARTA at Gate C22. I originally had a flight scheduled to depart from LAS to SNA at 1115am to attend my grandmother's funeral. As I prepared to depart for the airport at 900am, I received notification that the flight was delayed for 1230 pm. As a result, I decided to stay in and leave at 1015 am. As the clock hit 1015 am, I received another notification that the flight was moved forward to 1115 am and in panic mode along with mourning of grandmother, who raised me.

Thanks to Southwest's poor communication, my wife and I ended up missing our flight. This was just the beginning of the greater problems to come. My wife then proceeded to speak to customer service rep, Marta. At gate C22 to seek resolution in order to make my grandmother's funeral. Instead of being helpful and trying to seek resolution, Marta did not make a single attempt to make eye contact with my wife, as she pretended to speak to someone on the phone for 8 minutes. Afterwards, Marta nonchalantly stated that there is nothing she can do. At that point, she is crying under incredible emotional distress and I witness all of it from the distance. She hysterically stated to me as she's sobbing that we are not going to make it, due to Marta's lack of customer service and empathy.

As a result, I tried to cordially explain the situation and seek resolution with another representative in a defeated tone. In the middle of the conversation with her, Marta then proceeded to interrupt the conversation and told me to "sit down and shut up." As a normal protective spouse would do, I then told her to learn some customer etiquette and stormed off to a different terminal. In retaliation like an immature adolescent, she stated that my wife and I are not going home in the most sadistic manner possible. Also, she stated that she is going to call a manager to ensure that we don't get home on Southwest. Keep mind, I was publicly embarrassed by at least 25 other people who witnessed this tirade from her.

As a result, we immediately walked to a different terminal to seek resolution, my wife started talking to another CSR. Within minutes, Marta followed and told my wife to shut up and sit down. Eventually, we were approached by Asif. He told me Marta accused me of being combative, when in reality, she was the one who told us to both shut up and failed to practice basic customer service etiquette. Asif forced an ultimatum on me and made me say sorry to the worst customer service representative at an airport. Very embarrassing to say the least. Finally, he helped me get on a different flight to Ontario, but I still missed my grandmother's funeral.

Customer service is such a simple concept executed by outstanding airlines like Korean Air and Asiana. As a result of Marta, when I think of Southwest, it reminds of the poor service from American Airlines and Delta, but exponentially worse. Once I arrived at Ontario Airport, I had to pay $95 to take an UBER from Ontario to my home in Orange County. Southwest ruined my weekend and missing my grandmother's funeral, due Marta's lack of customer service skills, empathy, and Southwest's poor communication skills.

Original review: July 9, 2018

It was our understanding via Southwest website that the cost for the "Earlybird" check-in would provide a lower # for checking than doing the traditional check-in yourself. Well this is the Bull! Do not waste a Penny of your money!!! We had to check-in at 7:25am and so I decided I would let the Earlybird do it...what a waste of money. I watched it at 7:30am and they gave us #s that are worse than what I did myself. It got changed by them to higher #s. Don't waste money for this crap of service. They are stealing your money and provide no service... Do it yourself if you use this Airlines...we are not going to!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I had the worst flying experience in my life. I had a flight with Southwest Airlines, and when I landed I did not find my bag on the baggage claim and I have stayed more than 45 min and it did not come. And I went to their office to file a report about my bag cause I had to catch my shuttle to go to another city, the lady there told me that "You do not need to file a report and you can follow with us by the phone and then we can send you the bag to home." So I took the shuttle and went home which is far about 1 hour and more from the airport, and now they called that I have to pay them more than $60 so that they can send the bag to my home, although that was their fault but they still insist that I have to pay.

This is their mistake as I did not find my bag when I landed and I had to take my shuttle, so I have to pay more money to them. I tried to call them, but they are treating me in a bad way and they do not want to listen to me and they insist that the bag was on the baggage claim after 16 min, but they are lie cause I was here. This is the worst airline I had in my entire life, and I will not recommend anyone to travel with them. It is my mistake that I have booked this flight with them.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information