Southwest Airlines

Compare Airlines

Research top Airlines recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have traveled with Southwest Airlines for years and have always received outstanding service by employees in so many departments at Southwest. No business can be perfect, but you truly make traveling fun. P.S. Thanks for the free drinks and peanuts! YUM.

I am trying to get a group travel quote for 15 people to travel from CA to AZ. I have called several times, at different times of the day. Every call I was on hold for over 30 minutes. One time I was on hold for 1hr 36 minutes before hanging up. They never answer the phone. They are closed on the weekends and never answer the phone during the week. It is a ridiculous waste of time. I have written to their customer service number and received no response. The worst customer service ever. If this is how they treat their potential customers prior to a flight, it is a slippery slope.

My daughter attends college in DC and has a severe PEANUT/TREE NUT Allergy. I researched all airlines, allergy networks, Academy Of Allergy Immunology & other's experiences. Since I flew SWA and discussion with the airlines proved to be trustworthy, we transported her through SWA for years. I was pleased and never had problem, matter of fact felt they went above and beyond. One flight attendant held up boarding to inspect the flight.

She flew back to school after the holiday & noticed the odor of peanuts and immediately felt faint, and face turned red and hot on the flight. She stood up and told the tall, bearded attendant that "I have a peanut allergy and the odor was evident." He never went to see where she was seated or if anyone around her had peanuts. No announcement was made, and she was symptomatic, could go into a full blown systemic reaction. She asked for help and suddenly felt intimidated and she should just sit down. He said it is probably in the ventilation system. She put her head in her jacket took medication and held ** close.

I reported that night - email and phone. The Customer Service Representative was respectful. He said that they take these issue seriously. After no one responded to my email I called and spoke with M in the Relations Dept. He told me "sorry, no guarantees." His statement tells me that if you have an allergy to peanuts/tree nuts we should NOT fly SWA??? Enter at your risk???

Had round-trip ticket from Atlanta to Las Vegas and returning from Reno to Atlanta at a cost of approx $350. Tried to change return flight at same time but one day later and they said it would cost approx $350 to change it. They must have a idiot in their company probably more than one making rules!!! Their advertisement of "No change fees" in my opinion is fraud!!!

I'd like to thank you for your generous policy regarding minors. Like many families, my children spend separate time with both mom and dad. This is already a difficult situation and funds become limited when split between two households. Thank you for your affordable solutions. Thank you for allowing my 13 and 11 year old to travel together with no adult required. Thank you furthermore for not requiring an additional fee. And thank you kindly for ensuring they have been taken care of on their trips (and cancellations).

We panicked when we discovered that one of their legs was cancelled and they would be spending the night alone together at the airport. But Southwest employees, understanding our concern, took our children into a safe room where they had cots. They even went above and beyond buying them both dinner and breakfast! I panicked again this morning when I discovered that my children had missed their flights due to the baggage drop-off. We thought we'd arrived in time but both processes took far longer than normal. Southwest once again came to the rescue and re-assured my stressed teens that they would get home. Thank you for getting my boys on the next flight. Thank you Southwest, there is a reason we fly with you! Thank you for being human and treating us with concern and humanity!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

My husband and I flew on Flight 373 from Las Vegas, NV to Albuquerque, NM on Jan. 1, 2017. We were delayed due to being oversold by one passenger. The male flight attendant over the PA called out my husband's name, Gary **, and told him to "Gather up your stuff. You are getting off of this plane." I made these reservations the end of August and was very surprised by the lack of professionalism on the F/A's part. As it turned out it was a non-rev passenger that was taken off the plane. The F/A passed by us at least two (2) times in flight and he never took the opportunity to apologize to my husband.

I have noticed the last several times I have flown your airline the quality of personnel has diminished significantly. As a former Pan Am flight attendant, recruiter and personnel supervisor of 15 years, I recognize this. Upon landing, the gentleman across the aisle from us was asleep with his head on his tray table. Very disappointed with Southwest and their service.

I have been a Southwest Airlines fan for many years and a loyal customer. I even have the southwest credit card which I used to use exclusively. We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 Children. On New Year Day our flight to Providence was scheduled to leave at 7:05 with a connection through Baltimore arriving at 11:35 In Providence. We arrived early at the airport and I saw online an earlier Flight that left Nashville at 5:40 and arrived in Providence at 10:30 with seats available. So we thought we would check to see if we can switch for free.

The desk agent said "the 7:05 flight is delayed for 3 hours. We can go ahead and change it for free." As it turns out we later learned from the supervisor the flight was not delayed, it was overbooked by 7 people. He then said the 7:05 flight may be full anyway and we would be doing them a favor by switching to the earlier flight. So we said "yes. Get us into our final destination earlier!"

Throughout the whole process the agent was confused and disconnected. He did not inform us of the consequences of switching and he was not truthful to us. He placed transfer tags on the 5 luggage we checked in and provided us with 2 sets of boarding passes - one to Baltimore and one to Providence (our final destination). What he did not warn us about was: 1. He was only changing our flight from Nashville to Baltimore, not the entire path which would get us back to Providence earlier. 2. We would lose our early bird boarding number and have C boarding. I had paid for early bird check in and will now have to pay an extra 30 dollars per person if we want to guarantee we sit together.

When I saw what the agent did, I asked him to please switch us to the earlier flight getting into Providence from Baltimore since we thought he was doing that initially. He said he would have to ask his supervisor for permission. That's when the supervisor entered the picture. She said no they will not do that. We then asked to be switched back to the 7:05 pm flight as I had already paid for early bird on it and we can sit together. They switched us back to our original flight but, what they didnt tell us was we would at this point lose our early bird spots. The agent called the manager back over so we can explain what happened. The supervisor at Southwest in Nashville refused to help our family and was very rude, heartless and scary. She said the following:

1. "We booked you on the earlier flight because we are overbooked by 7 people, not because there is a delay. You said yes to the favor, therefore you need to deal with the consequences." 2. "Call customer service to get a refund on your early bird. I can't help you get an earlier seating but you can pay $120 to get on early with advanced seating." 3. "We don't need a favor on the second leg of your flight, therefore we won't change it."

We basically went round and round, back and forth. We explained we were taken advantage of, we are not millionaires, not to mention when traveling for work we are able to take an earlier flight out of D.C. She was very unpleasant the entire time. She was holding on to our boarding passes and at last stated "I'm not going to let your family fly out tonight. You'll have to fly out tomorrow morning because we are getting nowhere." At that point we apologized and said we will pay the extra fee at the gate so we can all sit together. We got our boarding passes back and walked away in shock and tears.

When we arrived in Providence our luggage was not there. The baggage officer checked our luggage tickets and said the desk agent had made a mistake and checked our bags in to Baltimore, not our final destination. At that point we explained what had occurred and she said there was a disconnect with what he did. Something was not right with him. He was easily distracted, confused and made many mistakes that made our trip miserable. We have Items such as medicine, food, clothing, electronics and school books that we need right away. We were separated from our luggage, and have no idea who has had access to them.

Although the woman at baggage claim (in Providence) was helpful & considerate, she mislead us by saying the luggage would arrive in Providence at 7:30 this morning and would be delivered to our house by 8:30; it did not. After making a few calls to a number which was very difficult to find, I finally found that the luggage was delivered on much later flight. My husband had to drive all the way back to the airport, pay for parking, rent a luggage cart and grab the luggage off the luggage belt. I received no phone call that the luggage had arrived, even though we specifically told her that we had perishable items that needed to stay frozen as well as medicine in the bags. There was no human decency, empathy or heart.

I recently took a vacation over the Christmas Holiday, and put my trust in Southwest Airlines to get me there. They failed both getting me there and getting me home as I wanted it. I see these commercials from Southwest parody the Journey song, "anyway you want it" and that is pure fiction. This was not the first time SW has disrupted my travel plans, but it is definitely the last. I would rather hitchhike across Syria or Iraq rather than pay to fly Southwest again.

They say the definition of insanity is to keep going the same thing over and over expecting different results. Well if you fly Southwest after one non weather related cancelation, delay, lost bag (bags fly free and get delivered wherever they want), forced to sit a middle seat between the two fattest people on earth or for any other reason that was not the "way you wanted it" then shame on you because you have been warned. BEWARE they will screw up any vacation, or trip you are using them for.

SW Airlines has a policy which states that if you do not appear in time for your outbound flight your flight is canceled and you forfeit your seat and fee. This is fair. If you cannot make a flight and you do not notify the airline prior your flight is cancelled. However, in the same scenario SW Airlines also cancels your return flight and your fee is forfeit regardless of your ability or intent to take the return flight.

On 12/14/16 I missed my flight inbound to San Francisco. SW Canceled my trip. I flew on Virgin to SF. On 12/15/16 I called because my Return flight appeared to be cancelled as well. SW informed me that by missing my first flight my return flight was also cancelled and my fee was forfeit. My return flight is 12/16/16. SW charged me for my 12/16/16 flight but will not allow me to ride the flight home. SW informed me they would be happy to help me purchase a ticket for the 12/16/16 flight even though I already paid for the same item. I believe this is against the law. I spoke to Agent ** from the Georgia office 12/15/16 via phone.

We had booked our tickets to go to Cabo from LAX via Southwest last week. We checked in 24 hours before and everything was fine. We go the airport and to our shock, they said the flight was cancelled due to some aviation regulations. We said we never received any notice of cancellation either via email or text. The staff kept defending themselves and finally after nearly three hours of waiting, a representative named Lolita re-booked our flight the next day via Alaska Airline. They gave us a hotel near the airport to spend the night. This resulted in losing one night stay at our destination and got charged for it. We also for charged for ground transportation from airport to hotel since we were a day late. All along the Southwest personnel kept saying that all this would be taken care of if I saved all our receipts and contacted customer relations.

On our return journey again, we were told one day before that we would be flying into Orange county instead of LAX. We booked the shuttle service again to come back home from Orange county airport. Few hours later SW informed us again that we would land in LAX. We had to move our ground transportation again back and forth. This was very frustrating. After returning to Los Angeles, I called Southwest customer relations this morning and the representative was rude, forthright, and said they would not refund one night hotel fee that we lost. She kept arguing that it is not SW's fault. I am very disappointed with the crappy service and poor customer relations. No professionalism whatsoever!!

So, where shall I start. I purchased R/T flight to PVR in October. SW had not yet completed the process to start a new route into PVR but a posted notification assured the customer that this would not interfere with flight plans. Since this was SW, I attempted to check-in for my flight at the 24 hour prior to flight time mark. When I tried to check in, I got an error message that said I needed to check in at a SW kiosk since it's an international flight. My flight was out of LAX and rather than wait until the following day to check in, I thought I'd be proactive and check in at Burbank since it's only 7 miles away.

Once I got to Burbank, the SW employees had a hard time trying to figure out how to "check-in" an international flight as they had not been trained in 3 years. A supervisor was called and he couldn't figure it out either. Ultimately, they called what I assume is the SW head office and were told that flights to PVR that day and the following day (my day of travel) were canceled. I couldn't believe it because I had received NO NOTIFICATION whatsoever. You would have thought we I tried to check-in online initially, that at least the notification would tell me I couldn't check in because the flight was cancelled instead of telling me I had to check in at a SW kiosk. Now I am in a quandary because I am all but ready to go on vacay.

The SW agent said they could book me on a flight from OC. I had her put me on the flight because I thought at least I can get there and my return flight wasn't canceled. Although going to OC is an 80-mile drive for me. Once I got home, I called SW to inquire if my return flight would be cancelled as well since the reason for SW canceling the outgoing flight was because there was an issue with the paperwork to fly into / out of Mexico. The SW agent said she did not know but it was likely that it would be cancelled since my return flight was on Sunday. I could not take the chance of getting stuck in Mexico as I had a standing commitment upon my return. The agent suggested to change my return flight to fly back into OC.

Unfortunately, the flight was not Nonstop and stopped in Denver for 4 hours (if not stuck there due to snow). I wouldn't make it to OC until 10PM and that's before customs and the 80-mile drive back home. I ended up canceling the flight altogether. The agent suggested I contact Customer Relations for a voucher or credit since the cancellation was not my fault. She said she couldn't tell me how much the credit would be but that I should be sure to contact them. So the following day (the day my flight would have been), I called Customer Relations and spoke to a Supervisor, who to my surprise and dismay, told me that there was nothing they could do since this was not Southwest's fault. They refunded my points and that's it.

They weren't going to offer me a $10 voucher or 5 flights pts. In other words, I get absolutely nothing for having to cancel a vacation. I called back and spoke to a different supervisor who had me on the phone for at least 20 minutes only to finally tell me the same thing after telling me that Southwest was just as surprised as the customers that Mexico didn't accept the paperwork for the new route. I told her I was never notified of the cancellation. She then said SW sent out an email the previous morning. I told her it was funny that I have received EVERY email from Southwest with the exception now of this (mystery) email. Now even more frustrated, I decided to send SW a complaint via email. I explained how I had to cancel a vacation, I was previously informed of the cancellation, and I purchased flight miles specifically for the flight that was canceled.

A day later, I received the following response from SW: "Thank you for your email. Your concerns are of the utmost importance, and we appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding the change to your itinerary. We sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction that arose when you learned your flight between Los Angeles (LAX) and Puerto Vallarta on December 8 was canceled especially if your frustration was compounded after speaking to our Customer Relations Representatives by telephone. Please allow me to explain that a new agreement between the United States and Mexico was implemented this year in an effort to increase air traffic between the two countries.

"Southwest Airlines became the first carrier to operate new flights under this agreement, and we are fully compliant with the terms of the agreement. However, as with any new endeavor, unexpected challenges arose, and we are having to work through certain issues created by not having received administrative paperwork from Mexican aviation authorities. In order to minimize Customer's inconvenience associated with delays or misconnections, and considering the impacts those changes would have on the operation, we made the decision to proactively cancel our flights scheduled Wednesday, December 7 through Friday, December 9 (in both directions), between LAX and Cabo, Cancun, and Puerto Vallarta.

"Although we did our best to notify affected Passengers and work with them to find alternate travel plans, I regret if you did not receive this notification and were inconvenienced as a result of this flight irregularity. That being said, I understand that you chose not to be re-accommodated, and I confirmed that a refund of your airfare was requested. However, while we recognize your frustration in this situation, we must respond unfavorably to your request for travel credit for this experience. We are sorry for any disappointment in this regard, and we have shared your feedback with our Senior Leaders. We wish that we could erase such an unpleasant memory; unfortunately, we cannot, but we can encourage you to let us create a new one by traveling with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us."

Below is my response back to Southwest: "Southwest - You could have saved your canned dissertation about Southwest's reasons for canceling customer flights to PVR. That is so not my concern. For your information, I chose to not be "re-accommodated" by SW because doing so would have 1) added 10+ hours to my trip; 2) forced me to drive 160 miles to catch the "re-accommodating" flight (which is another 3+ hours depending on LA traffic, and 3) cost me an additional $150-$200.

I understand that I was "refunded" my "points" (as I should have been), but the bottom line is that I wouldn't have forked over the cash for those points if not for booking the flight to PVR. At no point, did anyone at SW suggest re-accommodating me with another, dare I say "RELIABLE" carrier. If I had read through the numerous complaints about SW beforehand, I wouldn't have been so surprised to witness Southwest's complete and total lack of any best practice customer retention efforts.

Of course, things happen that are out of ones control, but in the end and in this situation, YOU SOUTHWEST are accountable, not Mexico and not the customers. How dare you make customers feel as if it's THEIR mistake / THEIR fault for booking with SW in the first place. How dare you make customers feel like their TIME doesn't matter. Way to provide EXEMPLARY CUSTOMER SERVICE, SOUTHWEST. And one last thing, the last paragraph of your response to my complaint is the absolute height of hypocrisy: "We wish that we could erase such an unpleasant memory; unfortunately, we cannot, but we can encourage you to let us create a new one by traveling with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us."

Clearly neither my nor other customer's patronage is important to you SW. Give me a break. Feel free to share this feedback with your SENIOR leaders as well. I imagine it will be yet another exercise in futility. In summary, I should have simply booked with an airline that has an "established" and reliable route to PVR. When I told one of the Customer Relations Supervisors that they will be losing a customer, she responded "You have to do what you have to do". Well alrighty then and Merry Christmas to you too."

As an A-Lister who flies SWA 3-4 times per month, I have accumulated a lot of points. I redeemed points (a lot) for my daughter and son-in-law (live in Texas) to travel to my mother's (in Ohio) the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. During the reservation process, I informed the agent that my grandson (22 months) would be traveling with them which the agent noted and repeated back to me. When my daughter & son-in-law arrived at the airport they checked in, went through security but at boarding, they were asked for a BIRTH CERTIFICATE for my grandson. Of course, no one travels with such a document and no one had mentioned it. They were DENIED boarding. The agent + supervisor said w/o the certificate they could buy a seat for him but none were available until later the FOLLOWING DAY (which was Thanksgiving).

They called customer service, I called customer service and SOUTHWEST was unapologetic and unmoving - no certificate, no boarding. We canceled the flights and my daughter and her family ended up DRIVING from Texas to OHIO to be able to spend time together as a family at the holidays. Southwest may do fancy marketing and their CEO may have written a clever book, but as often as I fly them my experience does not match the brand promotion they try to espouse. Clever marketing does not make up for chronically late flights, lost baggage and inept service/uncaring/unflexible service. After this event - I actively try to look for other flights even if I have to take a connection or pay MORE on some other brand. Frankly Southwest is NUTS in the way they dealt with the situation.

I purchased a flight for my stepdaughter with my credit card. The stepdaughter's estranged mother, who we do not get along with, got the confirmation number, called Southwest and CHANGED THE TICKET. I called Southwest to complain and I was told that whoever has the confirmation number can change a flight at any time. The representative actually said, "We don't get involved in family disputes. Once we send you the confirmation number, we are done." Absolutely ridiculous!!! The policy does not protect the person who purchased the ticket. In speaking with a friend in the airlines, seems all airlines have this policy. What I am most upset about is the crappy customer service and nonchalant attitude of the Southwest Airlines representative.

Never buy points via Southwest's website. They are sold via a 3rd party called Points.com that Southwest has zero control over, and there is no refund policy for either company. I made the mistake of buying points to cover a 5000 point defect in my rewards to cover a trip. When you buy the points, they do not update in your Southwest Rapid Rewards account until you wait 15 minutes, log out of the website, and try again. I thought my credit card didn't go through so I did it twice, which turned out to be a huge mistake.

Southwest's website is broken in that it does not update the points balance until you log out and start over again. Their customer service personnel are well aware of this problem but will do NOTHING to refund your money once it's gone. Now I'm stuck with a nearly $200 charge on my credit card that I cannot reverse, and I can't even call anyone at the company in charge, as they have no listed customer service phone number. Basically Southwest has shifted all responsibility to this Points.com company, which is shady as hell and doesn't even have any contact info. It's ridiculous. I am absolutely disgusted with Southwest over this, and will hopefully never fly them again with my own money. It used to be a great business 10 years ago but now it's just another dishonest US carrier like all the rest.

We made travel plans for a Disney vacation through Southwest Vacations from a Saturday through Saturday. On Thursday, (2 days prior to our outbound flight) we received an automated phone call from Southwest AIRLINES cancelling our flight into Orlando due to Hurricane Matthew. After hours on the phone and computer with Southwest AIRLINES, the best they could do was to either fly us out on the following Wednesday or refund us our flight ticket. I tried scheduling out of other airports or fly into other airports and the best they could do for that was Tuesday. Their other recourse was for us to find another airline to fly us down. With thoughts of losing our entire vacation (hotel could not extend our stay if we went in days later) I started searching other airlines. I was able to get JetBlue flights that got us into Orlando later in the day on Saturday (our original flight day) at the cost of 3 TIMES our Southwest tickets.

Upon our return I contacted Southwest AIRLINES to see if we could be compensated something for our expense incurred due to their judgment to cancel. They have informed me that they are not at fault and therefore we are not even eligible travel vouchers. Although I completely agree that no one can control the weather, I do feel that Southwest Airlines cancelled on us way too soon without any options to get us to our vacation in a reasonable amount of time. Even if they waited another 24 hours, they would have realized that the storm never hit Orlando, the airport was reopening and they could have flown in on Saturday without problems. They left us high and dry and didn't care that it cost us more to fly down to our vacation than it did for the entire vacation. I will never even search for a Southwest flight again for fear of their unreliable service.

I was sitting at my computer to check in online exactly 24 hours before my flight. By 23 hours and 59 minutes, I was checked in...and was given boarding number C14. I do not understand how it is possible to be exactly on time for check in and end up at the end of the line. I know that there are frequent flyers who have priority, but considering I was returning from Orlando with a lot of tired, sweaty children leaving Disneyworld, it seems extremely unlikely to me that this was the problem. Because I am a government employee, my ticket class did not allow me to pay the $15 to ask for 36 hour ahead assignment, but I was a conscientious as possible with the 24. I did not expect to end up in the first A group, but the end of the line is ridiculous. I have not flown Southwest since I moved away from Texas 10 years ago, so now it seems, if there is any way I can help it, I will never do so again.

Booked a segmented flight first week in October for a round trip from Cleveland to Milwaukee with a stop in Baltimore for January 2017. Great - I can pick up my dad and we can fly non-stop to Milwaukee together. Then Southwest changes my flight and routes me through St. Louis and getting into Milwaukee 7 hours later than the original flight. They changed the BWI to Milwaukee flight which then had my dad going to Minneapolis and then to Milwaukee arriving 5 hours later. So - that didn't work. I need to fly with my dad. They CHARGED me $75.00 for me to change my flight to fly to BWI first. It was their change and I got charged. This is the third time where I don't like the underlining rules of Southwest. I have one more outstanding flight and I am canceling my Rapid Rewards and never flying with them again.

Rapid Rewards points were removed from account within an hour of attempting to make a purchase. Customer Service unwilling to assist with the issue. I went to complete a reservation for a one-way ticket from Chicago to Las Vegas that was $74 or 4,010 points on October 13th. My account was showing that I had 4,793 points to be used towards a new reservation. I was at the point in checkout to input my credit card for the charge of $5.60 but did not have my credit card on me. I went to complete the reservation a few hours later and had 0 points in my Rapid Rewards account. I called customer service on October 14th and was told by multiple CS reps that they were unable to assist me with this issue as the points had expired in August. I was very confused as to why I was able to see the points and use them towards a reservation if they had expired and asked for an explanation and resolution. None was given.

The first rep I spoke with, Charlotte, told me that I was mistaken when I was checking out and that the points were never there. Then I spoke with her supervisor, Marissa, who explained that the section of customer service I had reached was unable to make any exceptions and to call 1-855-234-4654 and hit option #5. Once I called this number, I spoke with Wes. Wes explained that nothing could be done and he "didn't know what they thought he would be able to do anything." He told me that there are zero people working at Southwest that are able to make an exception and add the points back to my account.

He would not be able to have the tech team look into it and explain what happened for me and that he believed that I would have received an error message anyway if I had completed the reservation in the first place. While I understand that points have expiration dates and that it would be difficult to see what I was seeing on my screen 24 hours prior to a phone call, I do not believe the treatment I received was deserved. To not be willing to look into this issue or provide some sort of resolution is unacceptable.

I will never fly with Southwest Airlines again. I purchased flights for a cruise but found out that I was pregnant and canceled my trip. I was under the impression that as long as I booked another flight before the credits expired I would be fine. Tried to book a flight the day the credits expired and was told that I would actually have to travel before the credits expired but was also told by the representative that I could contact customer relations and they could extend the credits for 6 months. When I contacted customer service they said that they could not do anything to help me and that even if they did extend the credits that $100 would be taken off of the amount of the credits that my credit amount would not qualify. Even though I was unable to travel due to being pregnant and just having a baby they still didn't care and lost my money. I am very disappointed and will never use this airline again. I hope this shady airline goes out of business!

I am just wondering what is Southwest's issue? I had my SECOND flight canceled for today into FL and now, to be honest, I don't trust that I can even take my THIRD flight that has been scheduled for tomorrow. My original flight was to Orlando but was canceled for, why exactly? If an 80 year old grandmother can tell me that everything is fine there, and other airlines are flying in, then there's no reason why I should have to continue to book different flights into the state. ALSO, because I needed to get back to FL today, I had to ask to switch destinations, hoping it would help. THAT anxiety-stricken phone call was enough for anyone to ever deal with.

This company wanted $400 extra dollars to do such a thing. Luckily, I didn't have to pay that fee because I absolutely refused to pay any more into this airline and THANK GOD I didn't because THAT flight was canceled. Why? I don't know because yet another person in Jacksonville said it was fine and all other airlines (other than Southwest) are flying into that airport today. As I called to rebook my flight for the third time, I was told the Orlando airport was opening back up tonight (Saturday), but customers had been moved to those flights already and were filled.

As a customer who was ORIGINALLY supposed to fly into Orlando in the first place, I should have been called and asked if I would be able to take a flight once the Orlando airport opened up. This is the ONLY company canceling flights into FL right now. I don't know if it is because you guys are trying to soak every penny out of people for trying to rebook flights, but it this is getting out of hand and TRULY has made a lasting impression on which airline I will NEVER fly again. Also, I will be posting on social media, as well as speak to family and friends, recommending they never fly this airline either.

Purchased a ticket for my son to come home from college for Christmas, but he ended up driving home because of an emergency. I tried to use the ticket funds for another ticket but was told they EXPIRE and they will deduct $100 if he wants to use them at a later date. In the past I have been able to reuse the ticket with NO penalty. I also asked if I could apply this to a flight I needed to take, they said NO... even though I had paid for the ticket. In the past I had to get an authorization notarized to transfer the funds to another passenger... but NO LONGER. SW Air use to be an "easy to do business with" and kind company. NO LONGER. Today they are NOT flexible, NOT easy to do business with and hateful. They NO LONGER put their customers first or care about their customers.

They were given a new directive and told they can NOT deviate from it. I'm all for companies making money and in the past I would have paid a little more to fly SW since they were the best airline to fly. Goodbye SW, I'm on the hunt for a new company. Hopefully a new "friendly" airline will surface. Watch your customer base decline over the near future with this type of underhanded stealing of customer's money and your lack of customer service. I will miss the old Southwest Airlines. You know how to get in contact with me if you want to make it right... but until then I will post on every social media site so people know the OLD SW Air we use to all love and support is history.

My wife called me from Minnesota, which is several hours away from where we live, telling me that because southwest had double booked her flight. Even though she was there on time for her flight, she had to wait until the other guy got there who had the same seat number because he apparently gets first dibs on the seat even though he wasn't there. She was told she had to wait until 530 pm a whole 12 hours by herself as her two work friends, she went up there with, got to go home. I am very upset this has happened to her. The stress she had to go through "WHILE PREGNANT I MIGHT ADD" IS VERY CONCERNING. Even though she got to go home because the guy never showed up I recommend Southwest should change their policy for double booked flights and fix it fast. She had to go through unnecessary stress and tears because she thought she was going to be stuck there by herself.

We were just in time for our flight and it is the first time traveling domestically through an airport where the staff doesn't guide you through the process of checking in bags. I have no problem with that, except we are just in time and we have no time to figure these things out. I have seen in the past the flight attendants or staff unstick the little sticker at the end of the long sticker and paste it in the bag, so I did that. And waited for my turn in line in order to turn our bags in. The lady behind the counter got out of the counter when it was our turn and went straight behind us to help the gentleman that was behind us in the line. I didn't understand why she skipped us but I was trying to wait; we were just in time.

Some other lady came from the back of the counter and my sister asked her if she could help us. The lady got out of the counter and walked towards my sister who was right behind me and told her to read the label. My sister was clueless and there was a small print behind the label. We were running out of time and started sticking things like we thought it was. My sister was having a hard time with the sticker as it is the first time doing it. We were unsure whether we were supposed to keep a part of the label or not, we asked again and the lady came back and impatiently said "I can't believe you don't know". She took the label and also got very closed and spoke close to her face in a very intimidating manner.

The lady scolded my sister in front of everyone and kept repeating every time we were trying to speak "Read the label", "read the label". At that time we desperately needed help not to miss our flight and she was sassing around and scolding us. I could not take it anymore. The attitude was almost making me cry! We needed help and she decided to emphasize how wrong it is to be late and how we are supposed to read the instructions. We asked for help because we are late. She kept repeating "that's why you are supposed to be on time, 2 hours early". I know I am late and I feel horrible for it, no need to scold.

I, my sister and my two kids stood in there taking it. It was like talking to us was insulting to her. I became very upset after taking it all I stared at her tag to see her name. After that, in a very challenging manner she said "you can take my name if you want". I was not planning on saying anything at the time. I was curious about her name, but her getting closed to me and raising her voice I immediately felt threaten and I said to her, "You are disgusting!" She then told me "oh hell no" and she turned around and dropped the task that she had not yet finished, because instead she was busy scolding, then she went to the other Southwest lady a third person and started screaming like I had just committed a crime. She told the other employee to call someone else. For a moment I thought they would call security on me and I felt like a criminal. The supervisor of this lady (the third person) refusing to help or even talk to us, she wouldn't even look at me.

We needed help but it was an impossible mission. We are still waiting and want to drop our bags and we had achieved nothing. We were there for about 20 minutes. We were unable to drop our bags. The whole team had turned against us. We had become a criminal gang of a mom with two little kids and her sister.

Are we supposed to take this kind of treatment? Talking so close to people and raising her voice is very humiliating and unappropriated and threatening. We stood there and we didn't know what to do with our bags. We asked a guy that was behind the ladies if he could help. He just made a gesture with his face signaling the ladies. Like there is no other way. We had to wait for some other supervisor to come, some security guard, or someone who seemed like one had already showed up too. I only remember his name (Alex) he helped us take the bags. Missed the flight by 2 minutes.

The Southwest team of ladies teamed up on us very horribly. The ladies had a really bad disposition and very abusive. Unfortunately we lost! As customers, we missed our flight, at the same time we had a very sour moment. This ladies realized they had the power to help and it is up to them. We need something from them and they know it. They can make you suffer or they can facilitate the travel. What they did was abusive and should be illegal! The way they act provokes customers and if the customer reacts to their treatment the customer loses. Southwest ladies at the front desk in DCA might be good at something, but they sure are not safe with people.

They don't let you use the restrooms. Basically if you are lucky they will turn off the seatbelt sign to be able to move, then they don't want you waiting for it, and last they just kick you out in a very ruthless way because the pilots are going to use the bathroom after you are waiting for it for a while. What is wrong with customer service, and kind... where is the ATTENDANT PART OF THEIR TITTLE "FLIGHT ATTENDANTS". Doesn't say RUDE, HUGLY OR MEAN anywhere in their job description.

I am travelling to Austin on Southwest. For ease of convenience I booked the hotel and car on their website as well. Unfortunately the event I was going for moved to a different location and I needed to change my hotel. Note that I made this booking in Sep 2016 and I am supposed to fly in Dec 2016. I was shocked to learn from the hotel and Southwest that I could not change my hotel without forfeiting the entire amount of $241 or so. I called the hotel and they informed me that my reservation was made through Orbitz. I called Orbitz and they said it was Southwest and I need to get in touch with them. The hotel though would cancel my reservation if I had made the reservation directly with them, as their rules allow cancellation before 72 hours of arrival.

Southwest has no direct contact with hotels and is actually making these reservations through Orbitz. In the process it restricts cancellation, though it gives notices on its website which may or may not be read by the passenger. This is misleading because the passenger believes that there is an advantage in booking the hotel, car and the air ticket together. There is actually a disadvantage - which misleads passengers.

Southwest provides booking all three aspects of travel on their website but as far as hotels are concerned Southwest provides a disadvantage to its passengers for cancellation. This is a sharp practice of pretending to offer a service but actually behind the scenes subcontracting it to others to the disadvantage of the passengers. There is no monetary benefit or negligible monetary benefits by booking through Southwest. Southwest should cease this practice as it is disadvantaging its passengers when they can obtain the same services from hotels directly on much better terms that hotels generally provide.

I booked a flight and must have encountered a technical glitch, as I never received a confirmation email or even a courtesy email indicating that my flight was taking off. I asked to be reimbursed but Southwest refused to even give me so much as a credit, despite my proof that they had never emailed me. When I spoke to their Customer Service agents, they told me it was my responsibility to make sure my email was working - even though I use Gmail and have never had email issues with any other companies.

Do NOT buy points from the Southwest site! The points are sold through a 3rd party company and they will charge you a hefty fee (I learned this the hard way). I needed some more points for two tickets (I had enough points for one ticket). During the reservation process a window popped up and asked if I wanted to buy points to complete the reservation. Thinking that the cost of buying the points would be the same as if I had paid cash for the second ticket I clicked yes and bought the points. I was charged around $600 for these extra points, which I thought at the time was a bit expensive.

After I completed the reservation I realized that the extra ticket I needed would have cost me only around $400 if I bought the ticket with cash. Instead I paid $600 for points for the exact same ticket. When I contacted Southwest to complain about this deceptive sales practice (no mention of a fee was given prior to buying the extra points) and to request a refund, a customer service rep laughed a bit and said, "Poor baby, we don't give refunds. You'll have to contact Customer Relations." She then told me that the points are sold through a 3rd party company and that they do not control the transaction fee the company charges (what a dismissive attitude that SW customer service rep exhibited!).

I've reached out to SW Customer Relations several times but they are doing nothing about my problem. It is not that I waited for a few days before I contacted them about what had happened. I reached out to them immediately after the initial reservation was made when I realized what had just happened to me. Customer service at Southwest is nonexistent. Well, no more. I'm done with Southwest. They herd you like cattle onto their planes and they treat you like cattle when you ask for help or submit a complaint. Southwest, shame on you!

I woke up this morning with an e-mail stating that my reservation had been canceled, but I did not cancel it! Contacted Southwest and they took care of it... for an additional $200. They said they did not cancel it, so I must have canceled it. Their lack of security cost me money, and I have no assurance that it won't happen again when I wake up tomorrow. As a customer who had "companion fare" a couple years ago, and currently spending over $5000/year with Southwest... that is an expensive $200! Goodbye Southwest.

I encountered the most disturbing flight attendant by the name of Jaime. She asked me if I was aggravated with her for telling me that there was a man in front of me, in line for the lavatory. I replied "No. I know this man." She told me I gave her a dirty look, which when I then denied, she responded by saying, "It must just be your face!" I asked her what does it matter if I had given her a dirty look, and that it is sometimes better to just not say anything. Jaime then said, "Yes, I agree, Yes, I agree, I agree 100%, sweetheart!" in a very menacing way, but using the exaggerated smiling face. I shook my head in disbelief, she then mocked me by shaking her head with the strange smiling face! She later came to me and said, "You are talking about me!" I replied, "Please just leave me alone."

She then came by and said, "Jaime, my name is Jaime!" I said, "Oh my gosh, please just go, leave me alone!" We then moved seats, explaining to the other attendant why we needed to move. Jaime shot up to the front, and I was taken off of the flight to talk with a supervisor, who then told me, "She was probable just being friendly." I replied, "There is a pilot back there, ask him, and if he thinks she was being friendly then I am crazy." I told the supervisor, "I just want her to stay away from me and go on the plane to go home!" Very frightening, as who knows what this attendant could have made up and maybe had me removed from the flight! I will not be flying those with those friendly skies again! BEWARE!

I incurred an unscheduled 2.5 day delay earlier this summer thanks to Southwest Airlines. When I finally got my reimbursement check and they SHORTED me nearly half of my out-of-pocket expenses, expenses incurred while following THEIR DIRECTIONS all along. I documented $889.21 in costs and they cut me a check for $494.63, less the refund of the original ticket price of $379.98 which they would have had to reimburse me for anyway since they weren't able to fly any planes! So, as a loyal "A-List" customer flying heavily for going on nine years I've been lied to and ripped off by a company that I'd come to respect and really did like doing business with.

Not only did they delay me for those many days claiming a "technical outage" (partially true), they lied right to my face while doing so since I personally saw - and filmed - the picketers at Love Field in Dallas. It wasn't only a technical issue, it was an embarrassing labor relations issue that they're still working diligently to hush up. Since then I've been repeatedly delayed, lied to continually with their BS company line, and never able to talk to a supervisor (who are conveniently never available no matter what)...and now they took nearly $400 out my pocket. Do yourself a favor and AVOID SOUTHWEST AIRLINES.

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.
  • Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.
  • Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.
  • Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.
  • Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Compare Airlines