3.8/5 (530 ratings)

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

Southwest Airlines refuses to let me file a complaint. The supervisor John argued with us over the phone then hung the phone up on us we called back and spoke to the supervisor Sharrol laughed and had some other employees laughed at us in the background and refused to let us speak to their manager Jason. She said she would pass the message to him before she hung the phone up on us. I do feel this was a form of racial profiling. I feel very discriminated against. This is not Southwest first racial profiling me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

The boarding process is chaotic, stressful, and takes longer. Unassigned seating does not incentivize travelers to check their bags. It just stresses us out, especially if you have to store your luggage further back from where you can find a seat.

Get buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I paid extra money for the earlybird check in. But it is joking and cheating. I was assigned a B15 position. How disgusting they are?! They oversell this option without any benefits to customers. Please do not buy it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I made a reservation through Southwest which ended up being canceled, no problem. The problem is now they “claim” to have to investigate the problem to refund my money. They confirmed this the day of the cancellation through the numerous calls that I had to make. It took less than three minutes to take my money for the trip, why should it take 30 days or more to get this resolved?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

My family booked round trip on SW Air. We paid for boarding upgrades in order to board in the "A" group. The first boarding went fine and all 6 of us were in the "A" group. On our return flight, only 2 of our group were given "A" group boarding. The other 4 had "B" boarding. We were 4 adults (2 grandparents), 2 parents and 2 children 8 and 10 years old. The "A" group boarded then a different group, I think parents with young children boarded, which divided our group since 4 of us had "B" boarding. The one parent got onboard, took a seat and "saved" 2 seats for the 8 and 10 year old kids. This caused a ruckus because you can't "save" seats. But finally the argument was settled and the kids were with the parents. SW should at least refund the 4 of us the "A upgrade" fee since we were give a "B" boarding pass even though we paid for the "A" upgrade. It would be so much easier if they assigned seats. I know, I know it would cost more. But it would save problems like we had.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Check in at ticket counter with no problem. When we went the gate the gate attendance made a call because she felt uneasy with the breed of my wife service dog which is for her going blind. So when there is a lot of people around she will whine to let my wife know there are a lot of people around her. So they said she was not a service dog. We have had her serviced through thtough the dod and ada but the airlines employees that is not a service dog. But again just because it is a Belgian Malinois everyone thinks it is a mean dog just because of what movies portray them as a attack dog. So please help us on finding some to go after Southwest Airlines to stop this type of treatment for people going blind.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I have not stayed at the Hyatt Place Waikiki but my complaint is the reservation I made for my grandson to arrive on July 3 through Southwest and had to reschedule because my grandson's travel partner was tested positive for COVID on June 30. I let SW know on June 30 that I would like to reschedule hotel reservations to July 31 due to positive COVID test. I rescheduled flight reservations also. I was told by SW to send a verification of COVID positive test results and they would forward to hotel. I'd been in contact with SW every day since June 30.

I finally received a response today, July 20 stating " Our team has tried renegotiating with the property regarding your refund request. Unfortunately, they can no longer honor canceling the booking free of charge as it has been billed already and also because of the policy your reservation has. Our deepest apologies if the result is not favorable on your side. Southwest Hotels Concierge". I paid $1,900 for this reservation and SW made no effort to try to reschedule. I would call everyday since June 30 to check on the status on got a "We are still waiting for our partner at the hotel to get back to us". Really, it's been 3 weeks. I asked SW if they had reached out to the hotel and every time I called I was told the hotel will get back to us. You are horrible.

This has nothing to do with the cancellation deadline of June 25. Yes, the policy said no cancellation after June 25 but who would have known his partner was going to get COVID. I am a 71 year old grandmother that saved this money to give to my grandson as a college graduation gift. There was no effort on SW part to resolve this issue. I don't think they even tried. I asked if they would follow-up with hotel by phone and I was told they will email us within 3-5 days after my request was made on June 30. I wasn't asking for a refund. This notice was given to you well in advance. SHAME ON SOUTHWEST!

Original review: July 17, 2022

Horrible customer service. Looked online last night having to go out of town for celebration of life for my father-in-law. (Flight is $1200 for myself, husband, and 2 year old. Online.) Called to see if we could get discount for bereavement. Was transferred over to the manager after telling the lady it was for funeral. Manager quoted me that it was going to be over $2000. I asked why so much as it's still showing $1200 online. Said that's what he's able to give.

I asked to speak to a manager about getting discount. Said he was the manager, asked to speak to his manager. Said he was the only manager. Asked if he was the CEO and was told yes he was, and then he laughed said, "No I'm not the CEO but do you think the CEO would give you the time of day." Then was told to just buy it online and then, "Have a nice day." Then he hung up on me. Never, have I ever spoke to someone so arrogant and rude. *Southwest, review the phone conversation. You will hear it all.*

Original review: June 28, 2022

I asked one of the male flight attendants after all other passengers had left the plane that stopped in South Carolina for a cup of water. He said standing there with two other female attendants “no I can’t do. That you can ask the next crew.” That’s it…. And did not try.. The two females just stood there and did not offer any as well. This is absolutely terrible customer service and in today’s time.. How difficult is to give someone one cup of water….

Original review: June 26, 2022

I had a flight leaving Kansas City airport at 7:30pm. I wanted to leave out earlier so I paid $140 extra to leave at 5:20pm the same day. I got a text the morning of my flight saying my 5:20pm flight was completely cancelled. They got me on a flight that leaves at 7pm but said I couldn’t get a refund of the $140 I paid to leave earlier. Not even a flight credit. Also I was in boarding group A on my 5:20pm flight and now they have me in boarding group C and said I would have to pay to change it. No help with anything at all.

Southwest Airlines author review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Advisor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information