Southwest Airlines

1,965people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Southwest Airlines:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I woke up this morning with an e-mail stating that my reservation had been canceled, but I did not cancel it! Contacted Southwest and they took care of it... for an additional $200. They said they did not cancel it, so I must have canceled it. Their lack of security cost me money, and I have no assurance that it won't happen again when I wake up tomorrow. As a customer who had "companion fare" a couple years ago, and currently spending over $5000/year with Southwest... that is an expensive $200! Goodbye Southwest.

I encountered the most disturbing flight attendant by the name of Jaime. She asked me if I was aggravated with her for telling me that there was a man in front of me, in line for the lavatory. I replied "No. I know this man." She told me I gave her a dirty look, which when I then denied, she responded by saying, "It must just be your face!" I asked her what does it matter if I had given her a dirty look, and that it is sometimes better to just not say anything. Jaime then said, "Yes, I agree, Yes, I agree, I agree 100%, sweetheart!" in a very menacing way, but using the exaggerated smiling face. I shook my head in disbelief, she then mocked me by shaking her head with the strange smiling face! She later came to me and said, "You are talking about me!" I replied, "Please just leave me alone."

She then came by and said, "Jaime, my name is Jaime!" I said, "Oh my gosh, please just go, leave me alone!" We then moved seats, explaining to the other attendant why we needed to move. Jaime shot up to the front, and I was taken off of the flight to talk with a supervisor, who then told me, "She was probable just being friendly." I replied, "There is a pilot back there, ask him, and if he thinks she was being friendly then I am crazy." I told the supervisor, "I just want her to stay away from me and go on the plane to go home!" Very frightening, as who knows what this attendant could have made up and maybe had me removed from the flight! I will not be flying those with those friendly skies again! BEWARE!

I incurred an unscheduled 2.5 day delay earlier this summer thanks to Southwest Airlines. When I finally got my reimbursement check and they SHORTED me nearly half of my out-of-pocket expenses, expenses incurred while following THEIR DIRECTIONS all along. I documented $889.21 in costs and they cut me a check for $494.63, less the refund of the original ticket price of $379.98 which they would have had to reimburse me for anyway since they weren't able to fly any planes! So, as a loyal "A-List" customer flying heavily for going on nine years I've been lied to and ripped off by a company that I'd come to respect and really did like doing business with.

Not only did they delay me for those many days claiming a "technical outage" (partially true), they lied right to my face while doing so since I personally saw - and filmed - the picketers at Love Field in Dallas. It wasn't only a technical issue, it was an embarrassing labor relations issue that they're still working diligently to hush up. Since then I've been repeatedly delayed, lied to continually with their BS company line, and never able to talk to a supervisor (who are conveniently never available no matter what)...and now they took nearly $400 out my pocket. Do yourself a favor and AVOID SOUTHWEST AIRLINES.

I recently received an email offer regarding a double points offer. Upon trying to enroll I was denied. According to Southwest, after several hours on the phone and multiple emails, that this was sent in error and I could not enroll. When I asked why I was told that Southwest has the right to rescind offers when they wish and that regardless of the offer and my eligibility I would not be able to enroll and that if I did not stop pursuing this matter my current account would be cancelled. All points earned to now would be forfeited and I would no longer be able to travel on Southwest airlines. In my opinion this seems rather harsh as I was attempting to register for a promotion for which I was offered. In closing beware when dealing with Southwest as they become rather Draconian when issues are pushed or questions asked regarding their policies.

I booked a ticket in the amount of $319.96 in April of 2016 for a vacation in Oct '16 using a $50 credit that was originally from Oct 2015. Unfortunately I had to cancel the reservation for this Oct. When I logged on to verify my travel credit I saw that the entire amount ($319.96) expired in Oct '16. When I called customer service they said that when you use a credit from a prior reservation the expiration date is one year from the original date of booking. The remaining $269.96 would also expire at that time instead of the April date. This is an extremely confusing way of issuing credit & the agent told me it happens VERY often. This used to be a great airline to deal with. Not so much anymore!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

During a delayed layover in Florida our baggage was left in the pouring rain without a cover. When we arrived home and began to unpack we realized our clothes were soaking wet - everything. Things in our two suitcases were ruined. We stayed up to 4am in the morning washing and drying clothes to prevent further damage. Expensive shoes and suits are now ruined. Southwest has the WORST customer service! We called customer relations and got the same no care attitude. They offered a $100.00 voucher on the next ticket purchase which does not cover the damage and inconvenience. It would have taken the baggage handlers a few minutes to cover the suitcases to prevent the damage. We travel frequently to Florida for business. WILL NOT USE SOUTHWEST AGAIN DUE TO THE WAY THIS WAS HANDLED.

Had a horrible experience on Southwest airlines on my family vacation. I wrote them a letter telling them about the experience and never even responded to me about my dissatisfaction. What can I do about that. That alone is ridiculous.

On September 5, 2016 we noticed that our rapid reward miles were not accruing properly. Upon being transferred here and there, we finally called 800-792-0001 and talked to Esther about 8:24 PM CDT. She transferred my wife and I to Leanardo ** in San Antonio Texas. When asked why we didn't get the 50,000 miles they promised us he told me that my wife had enrolled for the card through the wrong portal and we would only be getting 25,000 even though we paid as much as everyone else for this card. When I told him that I had kept the promotion for receiving 50,000 miles that was sent along with our credit cards, and yet he refused to honor the 50,000 offer. I don't know if was the inequality, the unhonored offer, the wasted time on the phone, or just the unmistakable understanding from Leonardo ** that he couldn't have cared less.

Several hour delay and a nerve-wracking experience with a gate attendee with an attitude that was out of control. On Saturday September 3, 2016, I boarded a S.W. Flight 3621 connecting in Denver S.W. flight 3718 with a final destination of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Flight 3621 in Seattle was delayed 3 hours as we Sat on the airplane due to a problem with paperwork and a computer plane lockout. Contacted customer service via telephone and was told that I would probably be booked on the 2:00 p.m. flight.

Upon arrival in Denver asked the S.W. agent what gate the flight was boarded at and he said gate 44. I went directly to the gate. Margo, the gate attendee was unaware of my circumstance and did not have me booked on the direct flight to Florida but instead on another flight departing later and routed through Houston, Texas. The Florida flight was now full. I was discontent and expressed my disagreement. There was no raised voice, no abusive language, I had not been drinking. I walked away from the counter for 2 seconds and returned saying "This cannot be so, that S.W. wants to add another stop. I won't arrive in Florida until late this evening."

Margo became angry and said "You're not going to talk to me this way and if you don't stop I won't service you." I said "I have just got off a 6-hour flight that should have been 2 hours." She said "I am notating your account." I said "You are threatening me?" She then said she was calling security. I asked for a supervisor and she demanded that I move aside.

When the supervisor arrived Margo, told him that she was not servicing me because I was rude. The supervisor asked me what happened but was supportive of Margo, stating that she had every right to notate the account if there is an incident. I said what incident. Because Margo perceives that I am rude, is not an incident. And if Margo has rights so do I. Now she will have to contend with a formal complaint against her refusal to serve myself. I asked for a boarding pass on the flight that Margo could not book me on because it was full. He said that it was Labor Day weekend and the flights are full. I said this is not my concern. If southwest weren't trying to maximize their profits by limiting routes and flights then they would have some wiggle room.

He took my boarding pass and went to the computer. When he discovered the reality of my circumstance and the delay myself and 150 other passengers had been through he became apologetic. He also had a cancellation and gave me a boarding pass. A second passenger from my flight approached the counter and explained her position and Margo Said "stand over there, we're working on it" No ma’am, no please. There was another cancellation and the second passenger was given a boarding pass.

The connecting flight was delayed 40 minutes as well because of fueling issues. And then delayed another 30 minutes because of weather. Margo, shame on you... Southwest, wake up and hold your gate attendees responsible for unprofessional behavior. Thank you to the supervisor that was helpful and did the right thing. You got a hug.

Extremely unsatisfied with the customer service. We tried to use our Rapid Reward points (11,600) and was told that they expired 1 week ago because no flight had been taken in 2 years however the last time we flew was actually only 9 months ago. We were told that we did not pay for that flight but used our Rewards points from our Southwest Rewards credit card from Chase. (Apparently, these are different rewards points) so it did not count and we lost all of our points. Also, the agent was holding our reservation for an upcoming flight while we contacted customer service (5 different people) about this dispute. In the meantime, the cost went up and additional amount. Southwest would not honor the lower price either. I would advise any college student attending school in the Pacific Northwest to use Alaska Airlines instead!

On Wednesday August 24th 2016 my mother took her very first flight ever from Rochester New York to Atlanta Georgia. When she received her luggage the suitcase was badly damaged, some articles placed in plastic bags, some shoes destroyed, and clothes get dirty. She was given a new suitcase and a $50 voucher to cover her damage. I don't feel that the $50 voucher was sufficient for the shoes that were damaged and having to rewash clothing so needless to say our first flight ended up on a negative note.

I had gone on vacation with my daughter to Orlando FL May 28th thru June 2nd, 2016. You definitely get what you pay for. I had to pay an additional cost to be sure that my daughter and I could sit together on the flight. They totally ruined my BRAND NEW LUGGAGE that I purchased for my vacation. I have pictures to prove it. Upon returning home to Cleveland OH, I had gone to their customer service area. They wanted to tell me what I could do to clean the luggage but it was a hazard that everyone takes and that is why people buy black luggage. Just poor customer service. I will not travel Southwest again unless I take a carry on where I handle my own luggage.

During a long and delayed layover in Dallas our baggage was left in the elements. When we arrived at our hotel and began to unpack we realized our clothes were soaking wet - everything. It was our 40th anniversary trip. We raced back to the airport and received a passive aggressive attitude instead of help. "Doesn't your hotel have a dryer?" Things in our suitcases were ruined. Now we are in a position where we have to collect receipts and dry cleaning - on our vacation! Southwest has the WORST customer service! We called customer relations and got the same no care attitude. Hey Southwest, thanks for ruining our trip, giving bad service. Oh yeah, how about replacing your lame in flight jokes with actual customer care?

My girlfriend uses Southwest Rapid Rewards Chase Credit Card for a while. She bought me several flights recently using her rapid rewards points. I just recently applied the same credit card. Thus, I decided to transfer 35,000 rapid points to her as payback. When using Southwest Transfer Points website, I only got not clear and ambiguous instructions for transferring the points. First, in the Step 1 box, you could see the info ''I want to transfer 35,000 Points: $350.00''. To me, this means 35k points is equal to $350. I DIDN'T get any very straightforward information saying that $350 is the transfer fee here. Second, the right side "My Order" box gives you the Purchase Information: where you could get the following information: Points to transfer 35,000 points. Remaining Balance ** points. Cost of Points: $350.00 USD. Total Charge: $350.00 USD.

Again, when you see "Cost of points: $350", it verifies me again that 35,000 points is equivalent to cost $350. At the last "Total Charge: $350", which tells me that I would be charged for $350 in total for the transaction, which is the 35,000 rapid points in total. For the whole transferring process, you won't see any clear instructions that you will be charged for any transfer fee. All the information on the transferring website try to mislead you to believe that you won't be charged for transfer fee, but only for rapid rewards points(35,000), which equals to amount of money($350). But the truth is that, I was charged for 35,000 points and $350 in total, which is not matching the website saying "Total Charge: $350.00 USD" either!

After I finished the transaction, I realized their cheating "tricks". I called them to ask to cancel my transaction, refund or anything they could do for my lost. But they keep saying there is nothing they can do for now! The only thing they could do is to document the complaint about their transferring points website to improve it. I googled online about the transferring points complaints from Southwest and found that there are many other persons having the same cases from long time ago. If they did have improved their website and gave us very clear information about the transfer fee, I wouldn't transfer it! I can't agree more with the person saying that "THIS IS A SCAM!"

It is around a year and a half back that we (3 adults and a 2 year old) needed to go to Chicago as my mother in law was on her dead bed and we missed our early morning flight but they were very helpful and put us on the next available flight from Charleston to Baltimore. I don't remember the person who attended us. Another person named Vibhua ** managed to put us on a flight from Baltimore to Chicago. We reached and saw my mother in law. Am really thankful to the person I don't remember her name and to Vibhua ** for all their help that day.

I have not flown Southwest yet, my issue is with the group reservations. I have 22 customers that I had to go on flight but 2 couples (4 people) had to cancel due to an emergency. The flight is not until 08/19/16. I tried to cancel & they said no refunds. Now as group reservations should know things can change quickly especially when dealing with a number of people. So I should have been able to cancel up to 24 hr before the flight as a common courtesy. I am deeply disappointed that this is how Southwest conducts business. We are now out over $340.00 per ticket or approximately $1,360 that Southwest has now gotten for free, no services provided. If I would have known I would have made reservations with a more flexible airline. We for sure will never make group reservation with Southwest again & we book this event every year.

We were one of the thousands affected by Southwest's fiasco at the end of July, when flights were canceled for several days as a result of computer difficulties. The way the airline handled it for us, as for so many others, was more troubling than the initial problem. My wife was left at the airport all day before being told near midnight that she would not be able to board a flight. In fact, she was only able to reach her destination 60 hours (!!) after she was originally booked to arrive. This for an Oklahoma-Newark direct flight.

And she was compensated with a voucher for a future SWA flight that certainly did not cover the inconvenience of 60 hour delay, not to mention her having to make alternative arrangements to stay an extra 3 nights, her missing a family funeral and visit with family from abroad and from the other side of the country, and a 6 day trip shortened to 3 days. The customer service by Southwest was simply atrocious. Would highly advise against flying this airline, even when they offer the lowest rates. It's simply not worth the hassle.

Five months ago my fiance and I were approached in the Baltimore Washington airport by a sales representative for Chase Credit Card Services and Southwest Rapid Rewards. We were told that if we each opened a credit card account for $99 each we would each receive 50000 points and then we could transfer the points to one account and receive a companion pass. A companion pass allows one person of the couple to fly free. Now that we each have more than 50000 points on our accounts, we attempted to merge the points only to find out that transferred points do not count toward the companion pass and it will cost $10 for every 1000 points we want to transfer, bringing that grand total to a whopping $500. THIS IS A SCAM!!! After hours on the phone with Chase and Southwest Customer Service representatives and their supervisors, we are being told that there is nothing we can do now.

My fiance and I were one of the many affected by their glitch in their system a couple weeks ago that cancelled thousands of flights worldwide. I completely understand that things happen, but it's how they handled the situation that has me so angry. The glitch happened on July 20th and our flight (#2155) was leaving July 21 so when we heard this news the night before we double checked and our flight still said on time. We get to the airport, and see how insanely long the Southwest line is and then a couple minutes later our phone rang and it was them telling us that our flight was cancelled so they didn't even notify us until we were already there and in line. We then waited in that line for 3 hours because they only had 2 employees working. I'm sorry but if you have a major glitch in your system you should have all hands on deck and be ready for what you know is coming.

We finally get up to the desk and the employee we dealt with was extremely rude and unapologetic. She told us that she could not get us to our destination until 2.5 days later which was completely unacceptable since we already had tickets and activities booked. We needed to get out to Vegas that day. I then asked her if she could assist us in getting a flight with a different airline and she said no, that they do not help with other airlines. Now if you have a massive line of people that you know are dealing with cancelled flights, should you not have an employee going out to the line notifying people that you do not assist with getting flights with different airlines?! That would have been nice to know 3 hours sooner when there would have been more flight options still available.

By the time all of this happened there was only 1 flight option left with Delta and because it was such a last minute flight across the US it costs us $600 a person for one way. That is more than we paid for both of our original roundtrip airfare combined but again we did not have a choice because there were no other options left by that point. We also had to deal with a layover in JFK which our original flights were nonstop. With all this chaos and layovers and delays our travel time ended up being 21 hours. We lost pretty much our entire first day of our trip and also had to pay that $1200 for the last minute flight.

It is now August 8 (This all happened on July 21) and we have yet to be refunded for our cancelled flight. So I called their customer support line today because I also emailed a complaint 2 weeks ago and have never heard back. After spending 2 hours on the phone with them today nothing has been resolved. They claim that everything is delayed from that glitch and that we should be getting our refund soon, and they are doing nothing to make up for that $1,200 we had to spend because of their mistake. The only thing I was offered was a 50% off coupon which is pretty useless considering we won't be going on another trip anytime soon. I requested to have 2 roundtrip free flights to make up for this and he said he could not do that only the 50% coupon.

I don't understand how you can't offer customers free airfare to make up for this especially when it costs us so much unexpected money. When I explained what a terrible experience this has been and how it was the worst customer service I've ever dealt with his response was "Well Delta just had an outage too so it happens to other airlines too." Well let's hope that Delta actually cares about their customers and handles their outage better than you.

Southwest Airlines incapable of transporting my wife from Hartford CT to West Palm Beach. Baltimore to West Palm leg cancelled Saturday July 30th; rebooked for Monday Aug 1 (nothing available on Sunday). Hartford to Baltimore leg cancelled Monday, after she had arrived at the airport. Didn't look like weather at any of the earlier flight stops, according to Intellicast. If it was a maintenance issue, someone should be fired. On-condition maintenance isn't always the way to go. Maybe Southwest should entertain claims for time and gasoline. Southwest's early fire and enthusiasm seems to have vaporized like Jet A-1.

Southwest made everything right and more. It took some persistence. Everyone else was spectacular in helping me pick up the pieces to a cancelled flight. I did speak to one rep whose advice was not helpful and even a little misleading. I almost gave up. Very glad I didn't.

Original Review

Flight 4545 to Ft. Lauderdale was supposed to leave on July 28 at 9:00 p.m. First delay 10:50. Second delay 11:15. Cancelled 12:00 in the morning. The gate handler at A-3 in BWI announced that the flight was cancelled for lack of a co-pilot, something no one else I later spoke with would admit. The gate attendant then proceeded to be extremely unhelpful and nasty. He wouldn't answer any questions about what to do next and there wasn't anyone from SW to address concerns. No announcements about baggage. People had to stand in line for 30 minutes to discover where their luggage was (on it's way to Ft. Lauderdale) and how to retrieve it. It was like a scene from a third world country. I'm disgusted with Southwest. In fairness the people I've spoken with on the phone have been wonderful, patient and helpful, and the check-in people on Thursday night were also very pleasant.

I'm a frequent flyer with SWA traveling every other weekend. I was supposed to be on my way to Chicago from DC on Thursday. I get a notification email from SWA that my Thursday flight got delayed by 30 mins. I get this notification an hour before my departure time. I get another notification that it got further delayed after 15 mins from first notification. After 30 minutes I get the flight got cancelled notification. Spoke to agent, that took 45. SWA agent mentions there are no flights for Thursday. Had me rebooked for Friday evening. Instead of providing a direct flight, they have me stop at St. Louis. I get to airport on Friday and I get another two notifications on my flight got delayed due to some mechanical problem. There are 11 direct flights from DC to Chicago and they couldn't put on none of those flights and had me wait for St. Louis flight.

I finally arrive at St Louis and to my surprise my flight to Chicago already was in air. There were 10 people who were supposed to be on that Chicago flight and they couldn't wait 15 minutes. And worst part is that the SWA agent gives me attitude and was rude in St Louis and was not apologetic for this situation. She doesn't even provide me a hotel voucher since there were no flights for Friday night. After talking to her for 40 mins they gave me a hotel voucher and put me on a early morning flight. I'm sick of this airlines and to think I would travel rest of the year with these idiots is a big eye opener. I don't care about their stupid sale.

My 5:00am # ** flight was cancelled this morning with no advance notification. I drove to the airport at 3:00am to find no one working behind the check-in terminals to help with re-booking. While I don't hold that against them, I do hold them accountable for not providing any alternate arrangements. When I reached the head of the line at MHT, the SWA agent told me my only options were to wait on standby until a seat became available, or re-book for another day. All SWA flights to Chicago are sold out all day, in all surrounding airports, so I had no choice but to last minute cancel all of my Chicago relocation move plans I made months in advance. Asked what my options were, the agent said SWA would refund her ticket. BFD!

What does that accomplish for all of my prior and extensive relocation arrangements made for this day? She went on to tell me SWA has no inter-airline agreements, so it's SWA whenever or you have to buy a O/W ticket home. She also made a point to tell me that my tone was too confrontational(!??). My advice: fly a legacy airline, and you'll get to your destination more quickly than hollow promises from a presumed airline discounter. SWA has completely lost my trust.

Southwest is horrible and I would strongly recommend booking with any other airline! They had a flight cancelled and my flight was delayed which messed up our connecting flight! On Friday morning multiple families were told they couldn't get a flight until Sunday night and were given no apology or additional benefit. I was supposed to get to Utah at 2PM and didn't get there until 12:30! They also only had 3 people rebooking about 100. I waited in line for 2 and a half hours!

After speaking with Customer Service who referred me to Customer Relations (all with substantial wait times) they said the only way to file a complaint to POSSIBLY get any retribution was to fill out a form on the website. So that was the start of the terrible customer service. But regardless, we had a connecting flight from Greenville to Atlanta which was canceled 15 minutes before we arrived to Greenville. We were getting a ride from a friend to Greenville and then had to go back home, and get our car, and drive to Atlanta. (Not to mention that flight was 5 hours delayed.)

The parking fee was $112 for the 7 days. Not only was this beyond inconvenient driving 3.5 hours with two kids both there and back when we arrived at 9:30 at night, not getting home until 2:30 AM (because when you're with kids you have to make stops), but this fee was nothing we planned on. Southwest so far has refused to do any refund on the return which is horrible customer service (or relations!) but we also have incurred this parking fee along with gas driving for 7 hours, not to mention arriving 2.5 hours later in the middle of the night.

We did get an email saying they would give us half price tickets if we bought them by October 31 and used them by January. We are not wealthy people. Our travel is limited to at MOST once a year and after this trip weren't planning on going for another 2 years. Now in order to get any reimbursement we have to travel in the next six months? Southwest is going to get a horrible reputation if this is how it handles their mess-ups. I used to like this airline, but apparently they are only okay if everything goes according to plan.

This started for me on the 07/17. I left Charlotte and made it to Baltimore. When I was suppose to be in Jamaica for my vacation on Southwest, I did not make it until the 07/18... My flight was cancelled the 07/17, after having us in the air for more than 3 hours, bringing us to Atlanta to change planes and then bringing us back to Baltimore where our flight originated from. Our flight left on the 07/18 with no incident. They never gave us a straight answer as to what was going on.

Coming back on Monday, 07/25 the same thing happened on the flight from Jamaica. After having us sit there from 11.15, they finally cancel the flight at 10 pm. Did not leave Montego bay Jamaica, until 07/26 at 9:30. Got to Houston at 12:05, then had to sit there from that time until 8:50 pm. Landed in Charlotte NC after midnight. To add insult to injury, the agent attempted to tell me that this did not warranted my getting a food voucher, had to get a supervisor involve to give to me. They do not need to fly international until they work out the kinks in their systems.

I had a Southwest Airlines flight on July 21st from IAD airport. When I realized the flight was cancelled, I went to the Southwest check in desk, and the agents, who were very disrespectful and the manager was not even concerned to show up in person. Finally, I got a Southwest flight from DCA airport which is approximately 28 miles from IAD airport. When I reached the DCA airport, I came to know the new flight was also cancelled. I waited in the Southwest check in line at DCA for about 3 hours to get a refund in check form to purchase ticket from another airlines.

I got another flight for the next day but I was nowhere looking to fly again in Southwest Airlines after such disastrous experience. The Southwest Manager, Charissa **, at DCA airport, was very rude, disrespectful and least bothered, even after knowing that, 2 consecutive flights were cancelled within hours and spending hours to get into the flight. My wife dialed to customer service phone, but the agent over the phone also turned out to be least bothered and was very rude. I'm never going to fly in Southwest Airlines, which is never bothered about the customer problems. I don't recommend this flight to anyone!!! I 'm giving rating one because there is no option to give zero rating!!!

I am usually supportive of Southwest as they provide reasonable prices and good service. The seats are great compared to others and you rarely find a nasty flight attendant. They board using the cattle system and I usually moo as we board, others follow suit and it's all in fun. No luggage fee helps and they are usually on time. Compare them to the gouging big players with 10 seat prices, and food that will never digest.

My wife's flight was cancelled this morning after Southwest's router failure yesterday. While I don't hold that against them, I do hold them accountable for getting her home to Denver. When she reached the head of the line at SAN, the SWA agent told her her only options were to fly standby until a seat became available. All SWA flights back to Denver are sold out through tomorrow, so her chances are slim and none to get home. Asked what her options were, the agent said SWA would refund her ticket. BFD! What does that accomplish for her getting home?

He went on to tell her SWA has no inter-airline agreements, so it SWA whenever or you have to buy a O/W ticket home. I had to spend an additional $400 on United tonight, but at least she will get home within a day of the cancelled flight. As for getting a refund from SWA, I have read other's complaints of it taking a year for a refund. My point here, fly a legacy airline, and you'll get to your destination more quickly than hollow promises from a presumed airline discounter. Trust is what you earn, and SWA has lost ours.

Flight experience with Southwest Airlines was everything but pleasant. A simple one hour flight turned into delays due to their systems failing, a 40 minute wait sitting on the flight line and another hour wait for bags. Choose another airline, Southwest is not worth the headache!

Expert Review

Erika ArmstrongAirlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.    More about Erika→

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.
  • Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.
  • Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.
  • Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.
  • Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.
  • Best for Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Compare Airlines