2.78/5

1422 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

Good afternoon. I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and share with you why you have converted me from another airline for life. My wife’s Grandmother was in her last days and hours of her life, the last week of March this year. My wife and I had planned on traveling to see her, and had a ticket purchased already for my wife and one of my daughters, but we needed it changed and needed to get me and my other daughter a flight. For my work, I travel quite frequently from Nashville to Dallas among other places on another airline. Because of my status I like them to continue to build points with them. I called them first to book myself and my daughter a flight to Phoenix. They were of no assistance, would not budge on the price for an emergency, and would still charge me a large amount to move my points.

I hung up. My wife then called Southwest. Not only did they get us booked last minute, they adjusted the pricing for an emergency, and helped us the whole way thru it moving our points around etc... Even when we got to the airport, they bumped us to an even earlier flight to get us there as quickly as possible. What a blessing it was to fly with you. If we would have went with the other airline, or had we not been bumped up to an earlier flight, we would not have made it in time to see her grandmother before she passed. We arrived within less than 2 hours of her passing. What you do for people every day may seem routine, but for us, it was a life changing moment.

Having my wife be there before her grandmother passed means more to me than I can possibly express to you. As a result, I have decided to switch to Southwest for all of my work and personal trips going forward even though I do not have status with you. Sometimes I fly out of Knoxville where you do not service, but other than that, I will forever use you now. Thank you for making such a hard time for my family, just a little easier. God Bless you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Southwest Airlines is the only way to fly!!! They take care of their customers and go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed on each flight. I work sometimes out of town and I never exactly know what time my day may end, but I know I can check the flights or call Southwest to change my flight with little to no expense to me and when I say little, I believe the most I have paid has been $8.00, you cannot beat that. I know when I have had to fly with another airline and requested to change my flight, I have been told it will cost me $150 to $200 to change the flight. I can take a carry on the plane with no extra charge to me.

The flight attendants are always so nice and accommodating to your needs. The pilots' comments are hilarious and puts me at ease. I changed my schedule a few months ago in which I paid $8.00 and ended up delayed at another airport due to weather conditions. I wasn't upset at all, I'd rather be safe. Days after I arrived home, I received an email from Southwest giving me a $100 voucher for future travel with them. I was not expecting this, didn't feel as they needed to do this, but that is who they are. I will not fly with any other airline unless I absolutely have to!!! I highly recommend Southwest Airlines!!!

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Always, check other flights 1 Day Before and 1 Day After, your intended travel date. Often you will discover better price(s) for flexible dates. Consider travel connection cities, before booking. Once you have your e-ticket, get your group boarding class no later than 23 hours Before your Departing Day. Have comfortable walking shoes. Weather changes will occur often.

Made that mistake myself, traveling between Tampa, Florida and Austin, TX. Tampa was 79 degrees and non-stop Austin was 39 degrees. Tampa, has good veteran and disability security assistance towards boarding flights. Austin, has poor veteran and disability security assistance personnel. When traveling between Austin and Dallas Love Field, Austin took longer than the actual flight. Austin security, put 3 security personnel on my physical inspection, causing me to board our flight in tight seating due to security delays. We request the boarding with disability to ensure safety for ourselves and other travelers on 737 planes. Dallas Love Field, had good veteran with disability assistance and ensured we got on our flight, non-stop to Tampa. If we have to travel within Texas again, we will avoid Austin, altogether. May even consider rail travel.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Outstanding customer service and personnel on the ground (phone, airport) and on the air. Very nice leather seating, easy to glide in and out of, easy to wipe (if needed). Bags included in your ticket price. Single class of service - everyone gets treated with equal respect and deference. No silly games to be played for upgrades. Excellent cancellations policy - a win-win situation: client doesn't lose value, airline doesn't lose money. The Rewards program is simple: collect miles/points a couple of ways (flying, spend with airline, shopping through portal, co-branded CCs, transfer from other CCs), use miles for tickets.

For the more ambitious or the *extremely* frequent flyers there are a couple of extra programs to aim for: A-list and Companion Ticket. The companion ticket is one of the most valuable perks out there. Thankfully, on occasion Southwest provides ways for non 100 segment-flyers/year to achieve it. $8 door to door in-flight internet is good for anyone who cannot untether. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks to keep one hydrated, included. And the good humor and talent of the flying personnel: free for all to enjoy!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have flown with Southwest for a while now, always to one location: Charleston International. Unfortunately, there is no straight way there. Because of this, I've had lots of layovers in many of their locations. I've been to the Denver, Houston, Chicago, and with my next trip, the Baltimore airport. I've had maybe 6 flights now and not many bad experiences.

Overall, not bad at all. I usually am allowed TSA Pre-Check without applying, I always get early-bird, and seats aren't bad. Of course sometimes, things will be delayed. I noticed this especially in Chicago Midway, but that is just because that airport is notorious for delays. The whole time, Southwest never alarmed anyone and remained calm no matter the delay. The flight attendants are super nice and care about safety and regulation.

Two Things: You can watch the baggage people practically chunk your luggage around, which I've noticed many times. I was on a flight in Denver going to Will Rogers Airport where the flight was so full, that one girl could not find a seat near her mother - or a seat at all. It was overbooked. I hope everything got worked out but Southwest is pretty stubborn about refunds. Overall, good stuff. We'll see if this next trip continues to meet my expectation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

An "Unaccompanied Minor" (UM) flying Southwest between Orlando FL (MCO) and Washington DC (DCA) is an experienced thief of iPhones! She was sitting in front of me and stole my iPhone out of my Underseat Carry-On that was placed under her seat. The SW Flight Attendant (FA) yelled at me when I told her that the UM had stolen my iPhone. The FA snapped at me: "She is a UM!" and "I escorted her off the plane and she had nothing with her!" Despite the fact that the UM was carrying a backpack and wearing a jacket with pockets, the FA did nothing to help me locate the UM who was handed over to the UM's grandparents at the DCA airport.

Instead the FA told me to file a Lost Report online at Southwest.com. At DCA, I filed a Grand Larceny Police Report with the DCA Police and then tracked my iPhone (Find My iPhone) to the UM's Grandparents' house in Stafford VA. The Stafford Sheriff recovered my iPhone the next morning but my iPhone was vandalized:

1) NEW Passcode was set up and the Police had to call the Grandparents to get the new code;
2) All my data, including Photos and Apps, was wiped/cleaned out;
3) My OtterBox case was broken/cracked;
4) My Business Card taped to the back of the Otter Case was ripped off;
5) My decorative sticker on the back of the Otter Case was ripped off;
6) My unique Charm (from Japan) hanging from the iPhone was gone;

7) Now, the battery is not holding a charge.

This UM Thief (5ft female with brown curly hair) is experienced and should be banned from flying all SW Flights because she will steal again from us. I hold SW liable because they are responsible for: 1) escorting the UM on/ off the plane; and 2) being respectful to Passengers who are trying to alert the FAs that a crime has been committed instead of treating the Passenger like a crazy lying accuser of an "innocent" child. After 22 days, I received a NON-Response from Southwest: "I’m sorry for your frustration with the situation, and I understand that you feel we could have done more to address the circumstances. With that in mind, while privacy precludes us from sharing with Customers the details of any internal follow-up conducted with Employees, rest assured that we’ve shared a

copy of your email with the appropriate Leaders for their awareness."

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I am not one to leave scathing reviews for a product or experience, but after what I have endured recently with Southwest Airlines, and receiving a tough **, “sucks for you” email from their customer service team, Oh I am leaving a scathing review. After running a Spartan race with my younger brother in Aspen in memory of mother who passed away from colon cancer, I needed to get back to Seattle that evening, as I had recently started a new job that I love, I had a large project starting Monday I couldn’t miss due to airline neglect.

As I am en route to Denver from Aspen I receive a text message from Southwest telling me that my flight will be delayed 2 hours, placing me into Seattle at 2am. This irritates me not only because I have to work at 7am the next day, but because I also have to drive home an additional 2 hours from the airport, but I decide I will give Southwest the benefit of the doubt and continue with this flight. I make the executive decision to just book a hotel in Seattle so I can rest and catch an early ferry the next morning. Well about an hour later, I receive yet another text message from Southwest telling me that my flight will be delayed yet another hour putting me into Seattle at 3am, and home at 5am. I am livid, anxious, and angry, so I decide to book another flight with an alternative airline.

Now at this point I can’t cancel the hotel because it’s within 24 hours, and I have incurred the additional expense of booking with a dependable airline within an hour of the flight’s departure. That night I called Southwest to cancel the eternally postponed flight and express my frustration. The customer service representative was unsympathetic, and just went through the motions as she cancelled the flight.

The following morning, I write a complaint to Southwest expressing my disappointment with their consistent delays every time myself, or family (My niece flew with them in February, and that flight too was delayed an additional two hours causing us to miss the connecting flight) flies with them. This morning I receive a response from them stating in not so many words, “We are sorry we were unable to get you to your destination on time or at all, however we needed to fix our piece of ** planes so they don’t crash, and we won’t offer you any compensation for your troubles, have a nice day.”

Now this doesn’t sit well with me because it is not my fault at all that their planes suck and need constant maintenance! I purchased a product and expect that product to be delivered as promised, and when promised. Not late or never!! Southwest I am more than disappointed in you and your customer service. I can promise you that I won’t be flying with you, recommending you, and will be telling others not to fly with you, because you don’t care. Makes me really sad!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I'm stuck in LAS waiting for a connection to LAX that keeps getting delayed. We will now get in after the rental car company closes and lose our deposit. All told we are out $200 because of this. I talked to supervisor Maria ** and she was rude, sarcastic, and unprofessional. She laughed in my face when I started crying. She told me they'd do nothing for me and tried to cover her nametag from me. She should be fired and I should be compensated $200.

Original review: July 29, 2019

After waiting several months for Southwest to open their fall schedule, I booked my flight from Tampa to Newark as soon as they opened booking in May. At the end of July, I received an email notice that they were no longer flying into Newark. Since my flight was booked for Thanksgiving week, all the special fares from other airlines were gone. Now I’m paying double for a ticket. Southwest offered no compensation for this breach of our contract. They would only change my flight to another airport or refund my money without interest. Southwest is not an airline to be trusted.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I am so over Southwest Airlines! My 3 daughters have flown Southwest airlines for 9 years as unaccompanied minors (all together). I booked 2 flights to come in to Denver International today, one unaccompanied 9 year old from Sacramento and my 13 year old (old enough to fly by herself per SWA policy) from San Antonio. My mother (70) arrived at Sacramento airport and arrived at my daughters terminal to wait for her plane to board. She was called to the counter and informed that they would not allow my daughter to board the plane due potential hazardous weather. If the plane was diverted to SLC my 9 year old wouldn’t be able to secure a hotel room. Very true and I am thankful they think about her safety. My issue, this weather statement was released by SWA headquarters this morning (her flight was scheduled to leave at 345pm).

Neither my mother nor myself were notified by phone or text (as SWA claims they do) until they arrived at my daughter gate and my mother was told. When my mother called from her cell phone and informed me I asked to speak with the person at the counter to get clarification of the situation. I was angry and agitated as I deliberately scheduled my daughters getting in close to the same time and day to keep from having to make multiple 4 hour round trip drives to Denver. As the agent wasn’t helpful I asked to speak with a manger. A women named Michelle came to the phone. Before she addressed me I could hear her say "why does she want to talk to me, I am not going to help her".... She never addressed me other than saying it was policy and nothing she could do.

I did argue but never cussed nor yelled on the phone but more spoke in an authoritative manner as she continued to speak over me and tell me she didn't have my phone number to contact me regarding her not being able to fly. I told her that I gave my mother's # and my number plus two back up numbers as the ticket agent required when booking the flight. She then told me "I better watch it or she will make sure my daughter never flies Southwest again..." (not looking like we will anyway) So new flight got booked and guess what!?! I instantly got a text telling me my daughters flight had been changed to a new date and time! (Remember they didn't have or numbers!) I called SWA's 1-800 # to file a complaint. Was transferred to a reservations manager who told me there was nothing she could do, client relations was closed at 430 CST and would open until Monday then she hung up on me.

So even more angry I looked up customer relations 1-800# to see (by the way not on SWA.com had to get or off of some unaffiliated website...that's convenient!?!) Guess what! They weren't closed! Talked to a guy who told me he could not investigate the incident until the flight took place, and then it would take a week at best to get ahold of me! Hmm ok. that's nice! I then asked for clarification on what hazardous weather as nothing is showing up on NOAA.gov, only Denver was under a air quality warning. The guy says "well ma'am I'm going to assume you are not a trained meteorologist are you?" (Smarty pants.... that's professional!) Before I lost my cool I gave him my contact information and hung up. Now remember my 13 year old is still flying in from San Antonio at 930pm tonight. Her flight was delayed an hour due to hazardous weather.

My ex husband and I received texts saying her flight had been delayed, as most people do they left later for the airport.... When they arrived they found that the flight had been changed back to original time and her plane departed in 20 minutes.... We never received a text saying her flight had been changed back to the original departure. This means her luggage won’t make it on the plane until the next flight which is tomorrow! So to say the least I am so unhappy with the quality of customer care SWA provides. Thinking about it my 9 year old can’t fly because she can't secure a hotel room if her flight was diverted, but I guess SWA is under the impression a 13 year old can?!? SWA you need to invest some money into customer service training and communication with your customers and take a look at your policies.

I am not a complainer. In fact out of the 100's of flights my children have taken in the last 9 years I have complained one other time when an SWA agent boarding my daughter made her cry because she didn't know my mother's last name.... she was 6! She just knows her as "Grandma Diane". That agent yelled at her and said, "If you don't get it right you're not leaving." (A 6 year old excited for her summer vacation and getting to see her grandmother and grandfather that she only sees once a year!) Some may ask why did we continue to use SWA, because I'm under the general philosophy that every industry has a few bad apples... but the majority of people are good. Now I am questioning if those who work for SWA are just overworked, underpaid, badly trained staff members who work for a company who doesn't have a clue! End Rant here.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information