2. Travel
  3. Airlines

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I book wrong flight from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale, it should have been to Orlando. We are going on a cruise boarding at Port Canaveral. Didn't realize this until 2 days before my departure! I was in panic mode, blood pressure rising, I looked at my wife and said "I screwed up". So I called Southwest Airlines and April ** answer the phone with a very sweet voice, I said I made a boo-boo, I explained I booked wrong flight, the first thing she said, "Let's see if we can fix this." She ask me for time I needed to be at ship. After checking her compute she said, "I can get you on a flight to Orlando, your arrival time would be 11 am." I said YES and then she book our return flight back home.

April ** represents what Southwest is all about "Caring for their customers". I know this may not seem like a big deal to most people, but image if it were YOU, this was HUGE mistake and April ** corrected it. She is amazing, very friendly and cared about helping me. Southwest you have a very special person representing your company. I always fly Southwest out of Lovefield, less hassle than DFW and because of great caring people like April ** - I am a loyal Southwest customer. I highly recommend this airline. A+/5 star airline!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Good afternoon. I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and share with you why you have converted me from another airline for life. My wife’s Grandmother was in her last days and hours of her life, the last week of March this year. My wife and I had planned on traveling to see her, and had a ticket purchased already for my wife and one of my daughters, but we needed it changed and needed to get me and my other daughter a flight. For my work, I travel quite frequently from Nashville to Dallas among other places on another airline. Because of my status I like them to continue to build points with them. I called them first to book myself and my daughter a flight to Phoenix. They were of no assistance, would not budge on the price for an emergency, and would still charge me a large amount to move my points.

I hung up. My wife then called Southwest. Not only did they get us booked last minute, they adjusted the pricing for an emergency, and helped us the whole way thru it moving our points around etc... Even when we got to the airport, they bumped us to an even earlier flight to get us there as quickly as possible. What a blessing it was to fly with you. If we would have went with the other airline, or had we not been bumped up to an earlier flight, we would not have made it in time to see her grandmother before she passed. We arrived within less than 2 hours of her passing. What you do for people every day may seem routine, but for us, it was a life changing moment.

Having my wife be there before her grandmother passed means more to me than I can possibly express to you. As a result, I have decided to switch to Southwest for all of my work and personal trips going forward even though I do not have status with you. Sometimes I fly out of Knoxville where you do not service, but other than that, I will forever use you now. Thank you for making such a hard time for my family, just a little easier. God Bless you.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Southwest Airlines is the only way to fly!!! They take care of their customers and go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed on each flight. I work sometimes out of town and I never exactly know what time my day may end, but I know I can check the flights or call Southwest to change my flight with little to no expense to me and when I say little, I believe the most I have paid has been $8.00, you cannot beat that. I know when I have had to fly with another airline and requested to change my flight, I have been told it will cost me $150 to $200 to change the flight. I can take a carry on the plane with no extra charge to me.

The flight attendants are always so nice and accommodating to your needs. The pilots' comments are hilarious and puts me at ease. I changed my schedule a few months ago in which I paid $8.00 and ended up delayed at another airport due to weather conditions. I wasn't upset at all, I'd rather be safe. Days after I arrived home, I received an email from Southwest giving me a $100 voucher for future travel with them. I was not expecting this, didn't feel as they needed to do this, but that is who they are. I will not fly with any other airline unless I absolutely have to!!! I highly recommend Southwest Airlines!!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Always, check other flights 1 Day Before and 1 Day After, your intended travel date. Often you will discover better price(s) for flexible dates. Consider travel connection cities, before booking. Once you have your e-ticket, get your group boarding class no later than 23 hours Before your Departing Day. Have comfortable walking shoes. Weather changes will occur often.

Made that mistake myself, traveling between Tampa, Florida and Austin, TX. Tampa was 79 degrees and non-stop Austin was 39 degrees. Tampa, has good veteran and disability security assistance towards boarding flights. Austin, has poor veteran and disability security assistance personnel. When traveling between Austin and Dallas Love Field, Austin took longer than the actual flight. Austin security, put 3 security personnel on my physical inspection, causing me to board our flight in tight seating due to security delays. We request the boarding with disability to ensure safety for ourselves and other travelers on 737 planes. Dallas Love Field, had good veteran with disability assistance and ensured we got on our flight, non-stop to Tampa. If we have to travel within Texas again, we will avoid Austin, altogether. May even consider rail travel.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Outstanding customer service and personnel on the ground (phone, airport) and on the air. Very nice leather seating, easy to glide in and out of, easy to wipe (if needed). Bags included in your ticket price. Single class of service - everyone gets treated with equal respect and deference. No silly games to be played for upgrades. Excellent cancellations policy - a win-win situation: client doesn't lose value, airline doesn't lose money. The Rewards program is simple: collect miles/points a couple of ways (flying, spend with airline, shopping through portal, co-branded CCs, transfer from other CCs), use miles for tickets.

For the more ambitious or the *extremely* frequent flyers there are a couple of extra programs to aim for: A-list and Companion Ticket. The companion ticket is one of the most valuable perks out there. Thankfully, on occasion Southwest provides ways for non 100 segment-flyers/year to achieve it. $8 door to door in-flight internet is good for anyone who cannot untether. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks to keep one hydrated, included. And the good humor and talent of the flying personnel: free for all to enjoy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I had the absolute worst experience ever with South West airlines - Houston. I waited at baggage claim for over 30 minutes for my bag which never came while over the speaker the announcer called for the owner of a Crown Royal bag. As you may know Crown Royal is a liquor that comes in a purple and gold bag but this couldn’t be my bag even though it was purple and gold. It clearly said Betsy Johnson all over it. I guess that was a funny joke for the employees to yell on the loudspeaker that owner of a crown royal bag needed to come to the service desk.

After realizing my bag was not coming I was directed to a room in the back where I inquired about the location of the bag. The airport staff then said, "Oh you’re the owner of the Crown Royal bag" and began to giggle. They informed that my bag fell and was ran over and some of my stuff have been destroyed with not even the smallest hint of remorse. My bag was literally destroyed to the point all the clothes and shoes In it were ripped to shreds/destroyed. When I became angry the south west employee Danny asked me “What are you so mad about? It’s not like we are not going to cut you a check”. I explained to the worker that I am in a city I have never been to with absolutely nothing to wear and all my belongings destroyed. The employee began to tell me how southwest is a million dollar company & they have no problem cutting a check as if this was suppose to make me feel better.

The employee then told me it happens all the time due to southwest handling so much luggage on a daily basis and they just cut a check. The employees asked me to go through my bag and damages and asked me to price the cost of each item. The south west employee sat on the computer, googled my items one by one while making comments like “woah you really paid $200 for that?” and arguing with me over the amount I paid for each item saying things like “well they have it for cheaper at this store”. The worker also went as far to turn to his employee and say “I don’t even argue with these people.”

After the employee calculated what he felt I deserved for my belongings he wrote a check for $620 and told me I should just go to the mall & buy new items. The employee told me I can go to Chase bank and cash the check the same day which was a lie. I went to chase bank and they told me they could not cash check because south west had to verify it and no one answered the phone. I was not able to cash check until I returned home from my vacation. The customer was absolutely terrible and this was a major inconvenience and embarrassing experience. I do not recommend Southwest Airlines to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I was flying from Charleston back to Portland, ME with a plane change in Baltimore. According to Southwest "due to a 6+ hour delay" my checked bag was lost. I was issued Southwest LUV vouchers for my inconvenience, which I used for a flight home from San Francisco back to Baltimore for the holidays. On the flight back home from SF to Baltimore, my checked bag got lost again. The Southwest baggage counter agent said I only had a choice of returning to the airport the next day (which was Christmas day at 6:30pm) to pick up my lost bag and receive yet another $200 Southwest LUV voucher or have it delivered to me. I tried to compromise with the apathetic baggage counter agent for a reduced voucher and my bag to be delivered to my parent's home, which is approximately 8.7 miles from the airport, instead of receiving the full amount of another voucher "for my inconvenience" again.

This apparently is not possible and even after calling Southwest customer service - I am only entitled to a $200 LUV voucher for this recurring issue. What was also concerning was that when I went to retrieve my bag the next day, I noticed my bag had a tag stating it was at LAX, which was not my stop from SF to Baltimore - my stop was Phoenix, which is where they told me it was and not technically "lost." So it is obvious now that it was placed on the wrong plane completely and actually was.

This is absolutely ridiculous as this was the second time in a row that this has happened to me flying with them. And the fact that I was unable to use the full amount of my vouchers from my last flight where my bag was lost to pay for the full amount of my flight home for Christmas or any other flight for that matter that I need. $200 in Southwest vouchers also does not make up for the time lost with my family dealing with my lost bag, being unable to give my family their Christmas presents on Christmas morning and having to return on Christmas evening to pick it up. That time is lost with my family was invaluable.

So essentially, I will now have to keep paying Southwest for their flights (at a discounted rate from my vouchers "for my inconvenience") and for them to lose my checked bags or transfer my voucher to someone else so I won't have to fly with them again. So really great customer in addition to their checked bag service. But I guess you get what you pay for with Southwest and one of their mottos is "Bags fly for free." The lesson of the story here is to avoid checking your bags when flying with Southwest or avoid flying with them completely if you can.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Despite checking my bags at Fort Lauderdale airport 2 hrs before flight, mine and about 15 other passengers' bags did not arrive at DCA with our flight. Southwest baggage area at Reagan International (DCA) is cramped and disorganised to begin with: 2 carousels and NO indication as to which flights' bags are being sent to which carousel. The Southwest ground crew personnel were apathetic; I got more information from fellow travelers.

Next, when word did get around, that for those of us left milling about our bags had been sent with the next plane, we crowded into the lost baggage office, spilling out into the cramped area next to the carousels. No Southwest employee particularly took charge to give us the information; again, it was mostly being passed as word of mouth amongst us waiting passengers. 4 Southwest employees were on duty, taking our details. Since I opted to pick up my bags myself later in the evening, I was offered a voucher and told they would call me when the flight/bags arrived.

No call from Southwest. I called Southwest baggage a bit after that "next flight" was due to arrive and was met with mediocre service on the phone. I hauled myself back to the airport, and the same 4 Southwest employees were there, with no other customer in the office. 2 had eyes locked on a screen, the other 2 doing something else. No one greeted me. I announced myself, and was dismissively told to wait a minute. I replied that I had already been waiting for more than "a minute" for my bags and had come to collect them. I got eye rolls from the employee who did look up, but no apology for keeping me waiting then, and certainly no apology on behalf of their employer - Southwest - for keeping me waiting for my checked bags.

This is when things deteriorated. The youngest one of them started looking among the scores of bags sitting there by name tag, not thinking to ask me what size or color my bags were. I went over to point out my bags -- and in point of fact, did point them out -- when a 2nd employee of the 4 came over and BERATED me for being in the area with the bags. I half-jokingly asked if this really was Southwest Airlines, as it didn't sound like it! That 2nd employee's attitude to me got worse, then dismissing me in the 3rd-person as though I were an inanimate object, told her "colleague" that she didn't have to answer me/help me as I have to show them respect!

I wonder who does the employee training for Southwest ground crew at DCA, as they certainly skipped the lesson on showing the customer - paying customer - respect, and courtesy. This 2nd Southwest employee then in a childishly theatrical manner went over to the scores of bags and started "looking" for my bags, slowly one by one, exactly in the area where they were not (remember, I had pointed them out already). These words come to mind: sheer ignorance and malice.

I was handed my bags as though I, and my bags, were pieces of garbage to be gotten rid of. Absolutely, Southwest! I am glad to be thrown away from your airline after 10+ years of nearly bi-monthly flights. And as I before would enthusiastically encourage people to fly Southwest -- because of the customer-friendly service -- I now equally enthusiastically tell them NOT to fly Southwest. As I pointed out to the professional and courteous customer service agent who took my lengthy complaint -- and she did apologize profusely for those DCA Southwest baggage employees' behavior, as well as for Southwest's delay with my bags -- there is no way those 4 employees could have acted with such arrogance and impunity were they not feeling protected by an equally egregious Southwest management at DCA.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Been based out of an area with no Southwest hubs. I'm a terrible planner and change my mind constantly, so it's been a tragic time dealing with all the messiness of changing flights at other airlines ($200 to change?! And I don't even get to bring a carry-on??). Have finally been in places where I could do Southwest again, and I'd forgotten how fantastic it is to book a flight, change plans two months later, and actually get points back for changing to another flight. And, of course, my poor backpack probably appreciates me not having to stuff all my clothes into it every flight.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Very disappointed in Southwest. A treacherous snowstorm hit the morning of my flight to Orlando to attend my brother's military honors funeral service. Southwest never reported the delay in the flight because it had canceled the previous two flights and needed space to accommodate those passengers. Meanwhile we were faced with nearly impassable road conditions trying to make it to the airport. After it became clear that we were not going to make it AND Southwest did not report the flight as delayed (the flight actually left at 7:05 vs. 6:30), we had to cancel in order to not forfeit the fare. That 35 minutes would have made all the difference in making that flight.

Not sure about Southwest Airlines?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

by Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information