1.68/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1257 Southwest Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Was almost at companion called and asked what I needed to do to get it. They said it resets Jan 1. Spent a lot in December and they said they are not allowing it. Don't use the Southwest card. They will do all they can to screw you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I was trying to change my existing booking and checked the new fares before doing that. When I tried online it showed me an error particularly for my account. And when I called the customer care, they told me the low flight fare I checked was not available but reaching to the customer care took me 30 mins. Now, that is not my fault since I tried online but because of an error I could not change it and reaching to an assistant took me so much time and it was over by then. They should ideally not charge me extra for the expensive ticket. Then I decided to keep my flight as is because I cannot pay extra. I am really disappointed with the service.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

The first ticketing agents that I talked to told me there was a problem making a connecting flight in St. Louis on a trip from Little Rock to Midway. The second agent said I should be rerouted through Dallas even though there was an electric storm in Dallas. After delay after delay for over three hours they scheduled our flight to be rerouted through Memphis though there were no connecting flights to Midway. I couldn't cancel because my bags had been checked. After a couple of more hours delay the flight to Memphis was cancelled and I was left stranded with roughly 600 passengers to fend for ourselves at 9:00 PM at the Little Rock airport.

I understand cuts and snacks were provided. Fortunately I had resources but it cost me $300 for the hotel and $100 for a car rental. I was promised a credit for the cancelled trip but have not received it to date. The customer service through was horrendous including the gate agent chastising an elderly woman for jumping the five hour line. I would rather crawl on my next trip than ever fly Southwest again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have been contacting Southwest Airlines to get my check-in bags which was sent from Boston to Dallas. They canceled my flight my connecting flights initially and I was stuck in Houston for hours asking for another flight before I was given another flight to Dallas which got a layover of 7 hours in Oklahoma City. When I reached Dallas, they have no idea where my checked-in bags are. Tried contacting baggage claim office. They were not interested in helping me. Tried contacting customer care. They couldn't help either. Tried contacting baggage office last 24 hours multiple times, but no answer. I am stuck in this city with no clothes and I have to leave from here tomorrow. Now they have ruined my trip and my new agenda for today is to take an Uber and go to the airport which is 20 miles away and check with them if my bags have reached. Never ever Southwest again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased a round-trip ticket over a month ago and they sent me those tickets through text on my phone showing all flight numbers and boarding positions. My return flight once delayed from Harlingen was about 45 minutes, when I get to Dallas to catch the next flight, they pulled me out because it was overbooked and I know nothing about it. They was sent a text message to my phone that my flight is rebooked the next morning, it is over 14 hours waiting in the lobby, sleeping on the floor and hurting my back, hungry, tired, worry about the work that I supposed to get done. They sold me those tickets and I can't flight. WTF is going on with Southwest Airlines?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

On November 15, 2018 my friend and I received a text and email that our flight was canceled for November 16, 2018 from Buffalo NY to Fort Lauderdale departing at 8:45 am, which we had a scheduled cruise on November 16. I called the customer service number on November 15 and was told by a representative that it was a standard message that Southwest sends out if they receive any weather advisories. My friend also spoke to a Rep later that same day and was told that the flight was actually canceled and we could try to get on the flight leaving Buffalo NY on November 16 at 5:45 am.

My friend and I arrived at the airport on November 16 at 4:00 am and was told at that time our 8:45 am flight is still canceled and we could not go on standby for the 5:45 am flight because the flight was full and people were already on standby. I asked what else could be done for us because we were scheduled to get on a cruise ship at 3:00 pm in Miami. We was offered a refund (which wouldn't hit our accounts for 3 business days) and told we can get on another flight through another airline at our own expense. I asked for a Supervisor, the Supervisor never came up and spoke with us directly but told the counter Rep that she could change our flight to Pittsburg, which at the time I was unaware it was 4 hours away.

We took the offer because we had to get on the Ship by 3 pm. We spent $50 in gas to get there, we paid $68 to park to at the Pittsburg Airport and once we arrived in Miami at 2:20 pm (the flight was late) so we had to take a cab to the port of Miami because we had to get on the Ship by 3 pm and it cost us $88. Once the cruise was over we had to drive the four hours from Pittsburg to Buffalo. I put an additionally 30$ in my gas tank. This was a major inconvenience and I wasn't able to enjoy certain actives on my trip due to spending the unexpected money to get onto the plane. Terrible experience. I will never fly with Southwest again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Experience have been negative. Bought 2 tickets for me and my partner for a business trip and used my own CC with my money. That person no longer works here, so I cannot get credit back or refund because they will give credit per name vs who paid, and I booked the airfare couple of days ago. So there is a loop in their system. If you really want to get free airfare, just book all of your business trips before you are going to quit for the next 6 month to a year and then quit. You will able to keep that money and screw your employer. Does not seem fair to me. The crazy thing is that Southwest was not even cheapest, went with them because of their customer service, but got screwed instead. Customer service people don't care obviously and nothing won't do. Will definitely recommended everyone to read their refund policy and think twice before you buy from them.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Southwest Airlines damaged my personal belongings upon arrival at LAX. I took the damaged items to their counter to make a report. Their staff refused to come out from behind the counter to even view the damaged items which I had spread out all over the suitcases. I insisted on a report and she filed a false report that there was no smell and that only two bags were involved even though she stayed behind the counter the whole time and refused to come close to the items.

Southwest denied my claim two times and refused to pay for the damaged items even though most of them were newly purchased items from my trip and had original sales tags. In the denial letter, never was it mentioned or disclosed throughout my correspondence with them that they had a restrictive and oppressive one yr statute of limitations within which to sue. The first I heard of it was in court after I had filed suit against them. If you have ever been denied a claim by Southwest Airlines between 2014 and 2018, because of their restrictive one year deadline within which to sue or you had your lawsuit that you filed against them dismissed because of this one year policy, contact me at **.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We had a Southwest flight booked to be able to leave behind what was considered the "most toxic air quality in the world" in Chico/Paradise due to the deadly wildfires. They first moved or otherwise told us our flight was pretty much not available when we attempted to check a day prior and that the flight had problems due to heavy delays and holiday traffic and all five our family members and friends ended up leaving in an emergency as our homes were filled with toxic air where we were living and using respirator n95 masks as daily necessity. Also, there had been 30,000 plus additional refugees or homeless crammed into the small college town of Chico.

Long story a little shorter we got our family and friends to safely to Los Angeles in an 9 hour drive and then received a message stating that not only had we not been able to take the flight, but they were also not going to refund the flights as we'd attempted to change or move the flights on our phones due to internet outages and "unfortunately it just their policy" even after we pleaded with customer service and informed them of our plight after one of the most destructive fires in California history leaving many dead and over four hundred still missing they said we'd need to write to corporate. At this point my wife thought that if we spoke to someone high up such as CEO Gary Kelly they would for sure take everything into consideration and after being assured they put their customers first, we were told we'd receive a call back from an executive in corporate and how "sorry they were for this tragic circumstance".

We actually asked to speak to Gary Kelly or his people and instead we got a return call from an executive that verbatim said "We don't have anything we can do once a flight is no show. Your money or even a credit isn't possible under any circumstances unless we can price we were in hospital or something of that nature". My wife and I being a twenty year plus customers of Southwest this was just a huge insensitive slap in the face response to victims of such an horrific disaster that needed to leave the area in an emergency situation as it was worldwide news that the area was again "the most toxic place on earth". Air quality in the red "very unhealthy to hazardous to health" on AQI scale. It's extremely apparent that CEO Gary Kelly and his subordinates' main focus is how much money they can squeeze out of their customers and not the safety and well being of them.

It's not coincidence they are currently in the world news for another insensitive act involving another paying customer. It's not even about the money, refund or credit that would have been the correct gesture for people who have lost so much in these fires. It's more the principle that they should be sympathetic and show some empathy to victims of disasters who have lost, homes, lives and friends. Instead they try to take a little bit more of the money they need to rebuild their lives. I'm writing this from my thoughts and reliving the terrible experience I've had talking to at least four people all passing me along to someone else who had the same insensitive scripted "shut down the customer and keep their money at any cost." Gary Kelly and his people in corporate should be ashamed.

Adding insult to injury the executive that called me back had this to say when I displayed a sense of shock and then anger to the dismissive way we'd been treated. I said to him that I would share this with other potential future customers who might experience the same terrible treatment. Remember these are tickets we'd paid for to leave day after Thanksgiving. We were doing them a favor as they probably had the seats sold for way more than the $55 per ticket we'd spent and they had overbooked flights and they were dealing with Holiday traffic and making their bottom line as well as killing on holiday weekend.

They just needed to get that last bit of money from disaster victims. Some who had lost their homes in the fire as well as their pets, but escaped with their lives. One word for their representative & The CEO. DISGRACEFUL!!! Apparently the executive I spoke to said that if I were talking to Gary Kelly himself he'd shut me down the same way. That's who is charge. Terrible!!! Shocked and stunned by the way they treated paying customers!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I fly out of LAX on Southwest weekly. The flights are always delayed. This one took it to a new level. I was supposed to leave at 4:30 pm. Every 30 minutes, I got a text that the flight was delayed for 30 minutes. This went on for 5 hours. We finally took off at 9:45 PM! No explanation. They just kept moving our gate so we couldn't get the same person twice. I was told it was flights were not leaving Las Vegas. NOT TRUE, when I checked, all Las Vegas flights were on time. Then weather. A little rain? Then, baggage delays... SERIOUSLY? For 5 hours? I wrote a letter of complaint the next morning and got a reply that it was Air Traffic Control and it was for our safety. Attached was a token $50 voucher which won't even buy another flight. They need to honest with customers instead of making up crap. Moving on to another airline. My time is more valuable than this.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Normally Southwest has been great and I've never had an issue with them so I really hate leaving a negative review but at this point, I have no choice. Our flight back to KC was cancelled due to weather (other flights weren't cancelled). We were stranded in Phoenix on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I couldn't get through to Southwest customer service. My husband and I HAD to be back to work on Monday. We found a flight to Wichita which is 3 hours driving time away from KC. Spent $800 to change our tickets, $150 for rental car and drive 6 hours through a blizzard to get home before Monday. I understand that flights get cancelled but Southwest was NO help in trying to get us home.

On top of that, they would not refund me the extra cost I incurred changing flights or even provide me an acceptable credit to use at a later date. They said it's their policy. Well this policy needs to be reviewed because we did nothing wrong and tried to go through the appropriate channels but could not get through to a customer service representative. We had to fix the problem ourselves. Luckily my Christmas bonus came through so we could pay for the flight. But now my bonus is gone. It will be a skinny Christmas.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I recently moved from the Midwest to California. I was excited to book a surprise trip for my family (wife and 2 children) to visit me over Christmas and start looking for a new place to live. Unfortunately my wife is not able to be off work during that time frame so I had to cancel the flights thinking I would just use the travel voucher to travel myself back to the Midwest to see my family over Christmas. Little did I realize I could not utilize the voucher funds for my travel (despite paying for the entire original trip). Yes it only $1200, but I'll never use Southwest Airlines again as I can’t use the funds I spent on travel to see my family over the holidays. BE CAREFUL. Merry Christmas to you Southwest Airlines.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My flight got delayed a lot and I tried to catch an early one. I was first on the waiting list, A class. Luckily they had one empty seat so I was prepared to go to the door when a very SW employee flirting around with the male passengers told me that there is somebody else in front of me, specifically her latest flirt. Normally I would have not care much since it was a long shot to get on an early flight but her indolence made me fight for my seat. Her supervisor came, of course said it's me who is supposed to be in the plane and that she will try to make it right. The captain came and help with one more seat. Their help was much appreciated but for me this was last time flying with SW. Too many delays, non-professional crew and higher price compared with the other airlines w/o any comfort for the money. This happened on 11/09/18 flight 2199 from SJC to PDX (the delayed flight was 0107).

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We had a large group (our customers), traveling from Phoenix to Las Vegas. We were all happy about the trip & talking amongst each other & they asked us to quiet down. So we quieted down but still talking quietly as possible in a plane that you can hear everything. The pilot walked up to us & yelled at us to be quiet & that he should not have to come talk to us about keeping quiet. He spoke to us like a child & then said he is refusing to serve alcohol for all from some row all the way to the back. Mind you we had not drank any alcohol before the early morning flight anyhow. He was assuming we were intoxicated. He spoke to us like a child about being quiet on plane (mind you we were going to Las Vegas). Also we have flown Southwest every year for the past 10 years and never had an issue with our groups. We stayed as quiet as possible the rest of the flight due to him threatening to throw us off plane.

When we landed there was security waiting for us to detain us. We had done nothing wrong in the whole scheme of things. We may have been loud in the beginning but we quieted down as they had asked. SO for them to have security waiting for us & detain us was a joke. They blew the whole thing into a big deal & it was not that big. We will take our customers & on a different airlines from now on. Also we will no longer be sending our employees on Southwest anymore. They have lost a large amount of business from our company due to their unprofessionalism during this incident. I am also writing the CEO of the company to let them know how unprofessional some of their crew is. I tried to get names but they would not disclose.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have flown with Southwest for a while now, always to one location: Charleston International. Unfortunately, there is no straight way there. Because of this, I've had lots of layovers in many of their locations. I've been to the Denver, Houston, Chicago, and with my next trip, the Baltimore airport. I've had maybe 6 flights now and not many bad experiences.

Overall, not bad at all. I usually am allowed TSA Pre-Check without applying, I always get early-bird, and seats aren't bad. Of course sometimes, things will be delayed. I noticed this especially in Chicago Midway, but that is just because that airport is notorious for delays. The whole time, Southwest never alarmed anyone and remained calm no matter the delay. The flight attendants are super nice and care about safety and regulation.

Two Things: You can watch the baggage people practically chunk your luggage around, which I've noticed many times. I was on a flight in Denver going to Will Rogers Airport where the flight was so full, that one girl could not find a seat near her mother - or a seat at all. It was overbooked. I hope everything got worked out but Southwest is pretty stubborn about refunds. Overall, good stuff. We'll see if this next trip continues to meet my expectation.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I cancelled my latest flight from BWI to Portland ME by using a SW email link. I received notice that the flight was cancelled on the same page. But the flight was "not cancelled" per SW and I forfeited not only the flight TO but the entire round trip. Customer relations said there was no recourse. This makes me upset not only because of the loss of money, but I will question flying SW in the future. I have flown SW for quite some time and appreciated the speed of boarding and baggage pick-up, friendliness of everyone involved and the ability to change/cancel flights. Lesson learned. Call for cancellation. Get a cancellation email and save it. A Very unhappy customer.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I am very disappointed that Southwest Airlines will not take expired drink coupons anymore. SWA provided me with 36 Replacement Drink Coupons as a result of Southwest Class Action Lawsuit. I don't travel a lot and ALL of them except for the 2 I used are now expired! They won't take expired vouchers anymore and I really think that this was a strategy for them to not have to pay people as they knew many if not most for the vouchers would never get used! I would really like to have the opportunity to have the vouchers extended so they can be used. If this is possible please let me know and I'll be happy to send them in for new ones.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

In general, we liked the Southwest experience, but even more troubling than the cramped seating was the fact that 5 minutes before we were supposed to be boarding, the wrong gate number was still on the departure board. Just as I realized that the plane hadn't rolled up yet, the PA system announced that our flight was now boarding at a completely different gate nine gates away. We ran to the gate and just made it, but were left wondering who was supposed to put the gate number on the board. Was it the airline's fault that the wrong number was there, or not? Anyway, later we realized that the Scandinavian family, including a nursing baby, that we had left at the wrong gate, was probably there for the same flight we were. They were not on the plane.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I do not recommend this airline. I have given it a few tries and every time I’m severely disappointed. ALWAYS delays and never do they update you on that status. It’s extremely frustrating when you have constant miscommunication and never consistency. Saw a few people stuck at the airport too because they couldn’t find their flight in the system even though they checked in online already and everything. Oh, and the worst part is not having assigned seating. I don’t usually write bad reviews but felt this one was necessary as I am extremely disappointed with this last flight more than others. It’s not like it’s much cheaper than other flights anyways. If looking for a recommendation - I think it may be best to choose another airline for your flight.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was stranded in Louisville Ky, 9-21-18, because my flight was late arriving and would miss my connection in Phoenix. Your on duty manager, Chrissy?, solution was to give me a blue slip of paper for distressed travelers. I tried the website, broken link, then called. The man on the other end said, "No discount room in Louisville. Try calling around." Thanks. I will never fly your airline. I don't need condescending employees tell me it's not their problem I'm stranded. To top it off I had to go to baggage claims to find a Southwest employee. What was all the customer service employees locked in the break room on their phones Facebooking? You should think about changing your policy about not booking passenger on another airline. Blue skies.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

So, I received several emails saying that my son's flights from Point A to Point B and on to Point C were delayed. They told my son is was Love Field's air traffic control tower had a fire. Well, the Dallas PD at Love Field hadn't heard about that. The air traffic control tower at Love Field hadn't heard about that either. So, there was no fire. They just said that to keep people from getting mad. Well, I'm ticked beyond belief because I HATE it when people blow smoke up my **! Rapid Rewards Number: **.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

If my last flight with Southwest is indicative of how this airline operates then Southwest has gone down the tubes. On my flight the flight attendants were rude, the pilot was awful. It never used to be like this. I added a star because I arrived in one piece.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Southwest is being money hungry and also dismissive to concerns on program and pricing changes. And they used a bait and switch method. I booked my flights some time ago and was offered the early bird check in option at an additional cost of $60 RT for my wife and I. I went back to book it and now the price is $100. When I called, I was told that the program changed at the end of August. Mind you the $60 is already a fee to get checked in early so you have a better boarding group time so you can rush on and pick your seats. The other airlines allow you to select a seat at booking so you do not have to get on the plane searching for your seat and beat out someone else like it is the last bottle of water before a hurricane. I would have saved money going with another carrier and not had to pay for the privilege of getting a better line up position to then still have to search for two seats together where we would like to sit.

I talked to a few lower level staff that agreed with me that I should be able to get the original rate I was quoted at the time of booking. However, they could not help me. They did say they are getting similar feedback and it is not going over well. I called corporate at their direction and that got worse. The person at corporate was unapologetic and cold professional. She informed me that basically it is an ancillary rate and they have the right to change it at any time. She did understand my point about being offered a price on an already booked flight but was unwilling to do anything to assist. She then said they notified people by placing a disclaimer on their site for 8 days at the end of August.

I had already purchased my ticket and have the app so had no reason to go back on the site. No email or reaching out to someone that already purchased. So they took what was already a junk fee for something no one else charges for and increased it to make more profit. She said well at the lower cost too many people were using it so it was not really an advantage to those buying it. And based on that feedback they felt raising the price to reduce the number of people purchasing it would make it more valuable for those buying it.

I mean they could have just limited it to the first 50 people that purchase it or something like that. So buy early and get the advantage. That is how the best seat assignments work on other airlines. Instead they would thin the herd by raising the price and pricing people out in order to make it a better experience for those that can and are willing to pay. It is a greedy money grab. They sell themselves as different, and better and “we got rid of assigned seats and tickets to make fares lower.” But really it just is good marketing because they intend to get it from you on the back end. In all actuality I could have gone with another airline and saved and had seat assignments and not had to pay an extra fee. And this day and age no longer do they really have to print that many paper tickets with tickets on phone apps.

At the end of the conversation I recapped that they offered a price on a confirmed booking and then changed it later without due diligence notification. I informed her that it was a bait and switch and also poor form for such a respected company. It was underhanded and not appreciated and was just raising what was already a junk fee. Informed them I would file complaints with the appropriate regulatory bodies as well. She gave me a call record number then had the audacity to ask if I wanted to go ahead and purchase the early bird check-in at the new higher price. That is what I was complaining about, really? I will just wake up early the day before to check in. They will not get another dollar from me and I will use another airline in the future.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I made a mistake transferring Rapid Rewards points between my wife and my account that cost me $600. I noticed it immediately and called to reverse the transaction. They said they couldn't help. If you dig into the terms and conditions under the section on transfer points it does not say you can't reverse a transaction in that section. In their favor it does state non-refundable transactions in the general terms section. The information they provide on their website seems intentionally vague in an attempt to entice the customer to hit submit. It was not clear they were going to charge me to transfer points. It was unbelievably greedy to the point I overlooked it. The customer service representatives admit they could reverse the transaction if the situation were different but in this case they were unwilling to help. I'll be sure to consider other airlines first for future flights.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I was paying close attention to the flight attendants and noticed that not only did none of the cabin crew smile one single time or interact cordially with any passenger, the two women in the back 2/3 of the plane were snarky to the point that the larger woman was rolling her eyes at peoples' comments and requests, and the other one was rudely ordering people around. Maybe they were just having a bad day, but I've never seen this on Southwest before, and I fly it regularly. The larger woman was snapping refreshments out to passengers in the window seats without making eye contact, while staring straight ahead down the aisle as if she were bored to death. She would just hold the item with outstretched arm until somebody finally grabbed it. I smiled at her every time she saw me and each time she just scowled at me.

On top of that, about 30 minutes into the flight she put on extremely pungent perfume which stank up the cabin (I'm particularly sensitive to fragrances, as they give me allergic reactions, so I was miserable the rest of the flight and had to hold my breath when she walked by). Besides my personal problems with fragrances, I thought society had taught us by now that cigarette smoke, bad language, and smelly perfume in confined spaces with strangers is a no-no. Amazing that Southwest has fallen so far down on training and/or enforcement. Could America's favorite airline be turning into American and United?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On a recent five hour cross country flight, I had the audacity to ask for two snacks. The attendant mutters "Let's not be greedy." Had I known that there was a one-item limit on the snacks, I would not have asked for more. Had I known that the flight attendant could call a passenger greedy, I would not have flown with Southwest. Humiliating experience. Even though she said she was kidding, what is funny about that???

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Southwest lost my luggage on a flight from West Palm Beach to Baltimore. The Southwest Airline “customer service” agents in Baltimore were outright rude and indifferent about it. I was given an incident report (not fully filled out) and told they had no ability to track luggage and that if they did the ticket would cost $75 more. Interesting since Southwest has a total monopoly on all flights to and from those cities. That’s why they get away charging on average a thousand dollars round trip. It was like pulling teeth just to get them to tell me there was nothing they could do about try to find my luggage except wait Five days for it to show up somewhere. After five days, I was told I could go to their website and fill out a claim form. This event got even more absurd as it became clear that a distinctive silver hard cased piece of luggage was sitting or traveling somewhere and that this airline has virtually has no concern or coherent policy regarding lost luggage.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Me and my friend (Sayali **) bought two separate tickets from Charlotte to Baltimore and returning to Charlotte on the same day (08-25-2018). MY friend missed the morning flight and luckily got another flight with another airlines and reached Baltimore. During return (BWI-CLT), she was denied for boarding and was said that her flight ticket was cancelled. The staff refused her entry even though many seats were not taken.Worst experience!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Cancelled our flight with less than 6 hours notice. No other flights available for the day. We drove 2.5 hours to another airport just for that SW plane to be delayed 5 hours! They refused to compensate us. They might be cheap but you get what you pay for! Stay away from Southwest Airlines!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Southwest is running a scam, unilaterally canceling flights and trying to blame Air Traffic Control (ATC) in order to avoid issuing voucher passes to its customers. Our Sunday, August 12th flight WN6010 from MKE to DCA was canceled at 9:30 am CT via email to us, even though it was to land at 4:35 pm ET, six hours later. Call center blamed ATC and said, "Go get whatever SW seats are left Monday or Tuesday back to your area" (which was nil). They happily said that "customer service is not available today, they open at Sunday 3 pm". They also happily said "there are no managers or supervisors on staff today, it's Sunday." Monday, they happily said "we don't know what airport had the issues." Meanwhile, DCA ATC confirmed they did not issue cancellations or holds, particularly in the early morning for a late afternoon flight. That only happens with hurricanes and Nor'easters.

Meanwhile, EVERY SINGLE OTHER AIRLINER continued to take off and land successfully at DCA from 6 AM to 5 pm when we last checked. SW still cannot verify who or which ATC supposed decided to cancel SW's flights Sunday August 12th. It is certainly a big MYSTERY, especially considering they have no managers or supervisors working on the weekend yet are unilaterally canceling 20% of their flights and trying to blame the FAA and ATC for doing so.

SW needs an investigation into this practice of canceling flights and lying that it is the FAA or ATC. They also need new management since they have some serious crew, fleet and operations problems since they are THE ONLY AIRLINE CANCELLING FLIGHTS. Ironically they canceled our 1:50 pm CT MKE to DCA flight, but continued to run all five of its Midway Chicago (90 miles south) flights to DCA the same day. Someone needs to clean up the BS at SW, fast. We won't be flying them for business or leisure going forward; too unreliable, too untrustworthy.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information