2.58/5

Looking for a travel site?

Southwest Airlines

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I book wrong flight from Dallas to Ft Lauderdale, it should have been to Orlando. We are going on a cruise boarding at Port Canaveral. Didn't realize this until 2 days before my departure! I was in panic mode, blood pressure rising, I looked at my wife and said "I screwed up". So I called Southwest Airlines and April ** answer the phone with a very sweet voice, I said I made a boo-boo, I explained I booked wrong flight, the first thing she said, "Let's see if we can fix this." She ask me for time I needed to be at ship. After checking her compute she said, "I can get you on a flight to Orlando, your arrival time would be 11 am." I said YES and then she book our return flight back home.

April ** represents what Southwest is all about "Caring for their customers". I know this may not seem like a big deal to most people, but image if it were YOU, this was HUGE mistake and April ** corrected it. She is amazing, very friendly and cared about helping me. Southwest you have a very special person representing your company. I always fly Southwest out of Lovefield, less hassle than DFW and because of great caring people like April ** - I am a loyal Southwest customer. I highly recommend this airline. A+/5 star airline!

Original review: May 8, 2019

Good afternoon. I wanted to take a minute to say thank you and share with you why you have converted me from another airline for life. My wife’s Grandmother was in her last days and hours of her life, the last week of March this year. My wife and I had planned on traveling to see her, and had a ticket purchased already for my wife and one of my daughters, but we needed it changed and needed to get me and my other daughter a flight. For my work, I travel quite frequently from Nashville to Dallas among other places on another airline. Because of my status I like them to continue to build points with them. I called them first to book myself and my daughter a flight to Phoenix. They were of no assistance, would not budge on the price for an emergency, and would still charge me a large amount to move my points.

I hung up. My wife then called Southwest. Not only did they get us booked last minute, they adjusted the pricing for an emergency, and helped us the whole way thru it moving our points around etc... Even when we got to the airport, they bumped us to an even earlier flight to get us there as quickly as possible. What a blessing it was to fly with you. If we would have went with the other airline, or had we not been bumped up to an earlier flight, we would not have made it in time to see her grandmother before she passed. We arrived within less than 2 hours of her passing. What you do for people every day may seem routine, but for us, it was a life changing moment.

Having my wife be there before her grandmother passed means more to me than I can possibly express to you. As a result, I have decided to switch to Southwest for all of my work and personal trips going forward even though I do not have status with you. Sometimes I fly out of Knoxville where you do not service, but other than that, I will forever use you now. Thank you for making such a hard time for my family, just a little easier. God Bless you.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 14, 2019

Southwest Airlines is the only way to fly!!! They take care of their customers and go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed on each flight. I work sometimes out of town and I never exactly know what time my day may end, but I know I can check the flights or call Southwest to change my flight with little to no expense to me and when I say little, I believe the most I have paid has been $8.00, you cannot beat that. I know when I have had to fly with another airline and requested to change my flight, I have been told it will cost me $150 to $200 to change the flight. I can take a carry on the plane with no extra charge to me.

The flight attendants are always so nice and accommodating to your needs. The pilots' comments are hilarious and puts me at ease. I changed my schedule a few months ago in which I paid $8.00 and ended up delayed at another airport due to weather conditions. I wasn't upset at all, I'd rather be safe. Days after I arrived home, I received an email from Southwest giving me a $100 voucher for future travel with them. I was not expecting this, didn't feel as they needed to do this, but that is who they are. I will not fly with any other airline unless I absolutely have to!!! I highly recommend Southwest Airlines!!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Always, check other flights 1 Day Before and 1 Day After, your intended travel date. Often you will discover better price(s) for flexible dates. Consider travel connection cities, before booking. Once you have your e-ticket, get your group boarding class no later than 23 hours Before your Departing Day. Have comfortable walking shoes. Weather changes will occur often.

Made that mistake myself, traveling between Tampa, Florida and Austin, TX. Tampa was 79 degrees and non-stop Austin was 39 degrees. Tampa, has good veteran and disability security assistance towards boarding flights. Austin, has poor veteran and disability security assistance personnel. When traveling between Austin and Dallas Love Field, Austin took longer than the actual flight. Austin security, put 3 security personnel on my physical inspection, causing me to board our flight in tight seating due to security delays. We request the boarding with disability to ensure safety for ourselves and other travelers on 737 planes. Dallas Love Field, had good veteran with disability assistance and ensured we got on our flight, non-stop to Tampa. If we have to travel within Texas again, we will avoid Austin, altogether. May even consider rail travel.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Outstanding customer service and personnel on the ground (phone, airport) and on the air. Very nice leather seating, easy to glide in and out of, easy to wipe (if needed). Bags included in your ticket price. Single class of service - everyone gets treated with equal respect and deference. No silly games to be played for upgrades. Excellent cancellations policy - a win-win situation: client doesn't lose value, airline doesn't lose money. The Rewards program is simple: collect miles/points a couple of ways (flying, spend with airline, shopping through portal, co-branded CCs, transfer from other CCs), use miles for tickets.

For the more ambitious or the *extremely* frequent flyers there are a couple of extra programs to aim for: A-list and Companion Ticket. The companion ticket is one of the most valuable perks out there. Thankfully, on occasion Southwest provides ways for non 100 segment-flyers/year to achieve it. $8 door to door in-flight internet is good for anyone who cannot untether. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks to keep one hydrated, included. And the good humor and talent of the flying personnel: free for all to enjoy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Been based out of an area with no Southwest hubs. I'm a terrible planner and change my mind constantly, so it's been a tragic time dealing with all the messiness of changing flights at other airlines ($200 to change?! And I don't even get to bring a carry-on??). Have finally been in places where I could do Southwest again, and I'd forgotten how fantastic it is to book a flight, change plans two months later, and actually get points back for changing to another flight. And, of course, my poor backpack probably appreciates me not having to stuff all my clothes into it every flight.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Very disappointed in Southwest. A treacherous snowstorm hit the morning of my flight to Orlando to attend my brother's military honors funeral service. Southwest never reported the delay in the flight because it had canceled the previous two flights and needed space to accommodate those passengers. Meanwhile we were faced with nearly impassable road conditions trying to make it to the airport. After it became clear that we were not going to make it AND Southwest did not report the flight as delayed (the flight actually left at 7:05 vs. 6:30), we had to cancel in order to not forfeit the fare. That 35 minutes would have made all the difference in making that flight.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Great service, fares, fits our schedule and we had no problem with passenger assistance. We were checked in promptly and escorted thru all the way to the plane. I requested an extension for my seatbelt and was promptly handed one.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Our flight was delayed one hour but we pulled into the gate 5 minutes before flight leaving for Nashville. They knew we were there. One passenger's brother with cancer was on the plane sick. He couldn't get to him. Theo is rude and wouldn't give me his last name. He literally closed the door in my face with no apologies. I have always complimented Southwest and have a card. I want everyone to know about this terrible experience. They said they have to leave on time even though the flight was delayed 2 hours in California. The girl at the desk Chelsea ** was also thoughtless and non apologetic. I know bow Southwest doesn't care about their customers.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Flight attendants are friendly and enthusiasm. Flight is on time. Price is reasonable. Seats are comfortable. Boarding process is quick and in order. The airplane is tidy and clean, except the waiting area is so tiny.

Southwest Airlines expert review by Erika Armstrong

After incorporating in 1967, Southwest Airlines did not start taking passengers until 1971 after a long battle through the court system. Today, Southwest is the largest budget passenger airline in the U.S., launching more than 3,800 flights per day on peak travel days.

• Discount pricing: Southwest is best known for its low-price philosophy and offers very competitive prices on flights throughout the U.S.

• Cargo flights: Southwest combines passenger flights with cargo to offer fast shipping when needed, with top-tier options guaranteeing delivery on the next flight out.

• Budget corporate travel: Businesses that do more than $100,000 in travel per year can build a customized travel program.

• Bags fly free: Southwest offers every passenger two free checked bags that weigh fewer than 50 pounds.

• Package discounts: When booking airfare and ground transportation through the Southwest website, access to exclusive discounts are available.

• Best for: Vacationers, business travelers, holiday travelers and frequent fliers.

Profile picture of Erika Armstrong
      Erika Armstrong Airlines Contributing Editor

From the front desk of a busy FBO to the captain's seat of a commercial airliner, Erika Armstrong has experienced everything aviation has to offer. She is the author of A CHICK IN THE COCKPIT and her aviation articles can be found at Consumer Affairs, Plane & Pilot, Flying.com, Disciples of Flight, NYC Aviation, Contrails, Mentor, General Aviation News and Business Insider.

Southwest Airlines Company Information