3.7/5 (748 ratings)

About Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southwest Airlines?

Original review: May 17, 2022

I have been a Southwest user for many years, have several hundred thousand points with them and rarely had issues with their airlines. The only time I can recall having issues were due to weather and the occasional repair problem so I naturally decided to try some of their other services like booking a hotel and car their website. I won't be doing that again. They use a 3rd party website called Booking.com to make reservations and despite giving you a Southwest Confirmation number means absolutely nothing to Booking.com because they use confirmation numbers only not the mixed version like Southwest does.

This became an issue because their Southwest Concierge could not locate or reimburse me for an issue I had last month in St. Louis at the Parkway hotel. I arrived to a hotel with no power during a cold part of the year so there was not heat, light, warm water, or anyway to power my devices. The hotel reimbursed me no problem and provided me with a receipt showing no charge and told me to get with Southwest. I contacted Southwest to which they deferred me to their concierge team which as I stated could not locate me even with their own confirmation number. If I had not taken the time to get a receipt for the hotel which had the Booking.com confirmation number on there they would have been helpless.

I provided them with all the receipts and information needed and also reached out to Southwest directly who later called and said they are not responsible. YET it's all under the Southwest name and who knowingly partnered with this sham of a company called Booking.com. I tried going through the Booking.com website contact and help section but you're stuck in an endless FAQ loop that never provides you with the actual help you need. I still to this day have not been able to get a straight answer from anyone about being reimbursed. The right way to have gone about this is for Southwest to have created an incident report, asked for receipts, investigated it, reimbursed me, then pursued reimbursement for themselves because it's easier for a corporate partner to get attention that it is a consumer. If that wasn't an option then they should have advocated for me until they could find whatever stupid department at Booking.com that could help and reimburse me.

I as of today have tried to reach Southwest corporate office but require an actual letter to be sent instead of phone call or email which I find to be a convenient deflection to make it more difficult to deal with issues. If Herb Kelleher were still around I know I could have walked up to him and told him the issue and know that he either would have made a phone call to get this resolved if not paid for it himself right then and there. What I'm asking for is not unreasonable, all I wanted was what I paid for. That's customer service 101 and both companies failed MISERABLY.

Original review: May 1, 2022

Deplorable customer service! They deserve a negative star. I flew from Syracuse to Charlotte 4/24. When I get my stroller bag I noticed it was partially unzipped, when I go to get the stroller out I see both wheels are broken off and placed under the stroller. The top bassinet/carrier part was also disconnected, which was connected when I checked it in and zipped it up. I know my stroller was intentionally dismantled to make it fit smoother under the plane. I went to the ticket counter where Diane ** and a manager both told me they do not cover damages only losses. They filled out a report and said I can try to talk to customer service to see if they will replace it. I was sent home with no replacement and no check to replace my infant's stroller.

Quickly forward to 5/1, I flew from St. Louis back to Charlotte again, only to have my car seat that I checked in not put on the plane! Once again Diane ** was at the ticket counter and gave me a loaner car seat. However, my car seat was also in a travel bag that needed to be replaced. Diane brought out the replacement car seat in a travel bag, but refused to loan it to me. I asked to speak to the manager and Arlesha ** (pictured above) came out with the nastiest attitude as if I was asking her to come out of her pocket to pay for the car seat bag. I travel a lot and advised her when Southwest delivers my car seat and travel bag I will give them both (car seat and car seat bag) of theirs back. We stood there for about 30 minutes going back and forth. 20 minutes in she ask me to verify my name as if I had just walked up like Diane didn't already do it. Diane had already got my ticket and verified who I was (which is how I got the loaner car set from the beginning of the ordeal).

Security was called...Arletha ** said she couldn't believe I was acting like this and refused to give me the name of her regional manager. When I asked for her to write down her supervisor's name she refused and said, "You can take it down yourself." She started talking through her teeth at me like I was a child and threatened to walk away if I recorded her. If you're acting professionally you wouldn't care if someone recorded you. Everyone after the gate and above the ground were great. Southwest train your ticket counter employees and ramp agents to treat people and their property with respect.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I have always flown and loved Southwest airlines, but something has changed. We were on our way to the airport when we got a message our flight was delayed by almost 2 hours. We finally departed and arrived at our next stop and got stuck on the tarmac. Most passengers were headed for Dallas like us, but they didn't hold the plane. We, fortunately, got on another flight and finally arrived at our destination at 03:00 AM with 3 hungry and tired kids and found all of our luggage was lost...for the second time this year. We had a two-hour drive home with no luggage. The same thing happened with our luggage at Christmas, and it took a week to get it back. Come on SW...live up to the standards you once set. It is like losing an old friend.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Crew members talk a lot of nonsense. Terrible service. Stupid rules. They think it is funny - but it is terrible experience. First class like economy. Do not waste your money. They do not even assign seats. Worse ever experience.

Original review: April 2, 2022

Our flight was delayed which was understandable, but we waited in a long line of planes to take off. It was extremely hot inside the plane. We were supposed to leave at 11:10 and it is now 1:06 (we’re still waiting)

Original review: March 30, 2022

In early 2020, before COVID spread like wildfire, I booked a trip for two to go on a cruise and airfare. That cruise was cancelled by the cruise line and I had to cancel my flight. At first, Southwest stated they would leave an extended credit to use. I thought great, I'll reschedule when this COVID is gone. That was two years ago. Southwest now tells me they will not extend the expiration date of the travel credit further, they will not allow another passenger to use the travel funds, and I can't receive a refund. They are telling me I HAVE to use the funds before September or the money is gone. And not only that but they are telling me my daughter HAS to use her travel funds, even though I paid for both tickets.

COVID is still here and I don't see it vanishing in less than six months. This forces me to decide to lose over $1200 or risk getting COVID with all the unknown medical complications that could come of it as well as risk being out of work if I were to get sick. I would think that due to the circumstances that led to the cancellation of my trip, different policies would apply. I feel as though this may be a violation of some sort as I would be endangering my and my daughter's health and safety.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I’ve flown a minimum of once a month with Southwest for the last year +. At this point the savings are not worth the absolute madness, the yo-yo delays and last minute cancellations cause. This airline has far too much uncertainty for anyone looking for reliability. Unless you are super flexible with departure and arrival time (by multiple hours or days), don’t waste your time and sanity on Southwest. Particularly if you secure NON REFUNDABLE RESERVATIONS at your destination.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Left Nashville to Phoenix flight 2729 March 15, 2022 at 12:10 pm. Guy scanning ticket at boarding was rude and unprofessional. Mass confusion at pre boarding as to what letter of alphabet we were to stand in line. Went up to get boarding pass scanned and the guy said very loudly in front of about a hundred people “I didn’t call B yet. Get back in line third way down.” Extremely unprofessional and embarrassed me in front of a lot of people. Never will I fly your airline again. Also we be telling friends and family about my experience. If I could give a zero I would!! Also open seating is for the birds!!

Original review: March 17, 2022

Their customer service has gone down hill fast. The covid thing has disrupted everyone's lives and we couldn't take our trip. And they forced us to put our money into the funds account, we couldn't put it back on our credit card. I forgot to use all the funds not realizing they were going to expire and now I am out the $128.00. They wouldn't work with me to get that money back and gave me $18 voucher. They are choosing to keep my money, when if I had my choice I would have refunded back to my credit card in the first place. So disappointed in them. And you can't talk on the phone with them either. I am just a number to them. :(

Original review: March 12, 2022

Plane was a half-hour late taking off due to de-icing procedure that could have been accomplished beforehand. After de-icing, stewards shut down flight to accommodate a single customer who was having a panic attack. We are now 1 1/2 hours late for take-off. (Got to do another de-icing!) A second customer wants to get something out of the cargo hold. Stewards and captain ground the flight to accommodate this customer. We are now sitting on the tarmac, 3 hours after we were scheduled for take-off. Customer service reps come aboard to tell everyone with a stop over that there's no way in hell of making any connecting flights. Chaos ensues as several other connecting flights are cancelled and Southwest Representatives scramble to meet with each customer. Customers wait again while a single customer service representative attempts to see everyone. What a **. Won't be flying Southwest again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

Great price for airfares, but you pay for it with their customer service. They are lazy, do not take time to help their customers, and are selfish with their time. I was recently in Dallas airport and called the desk because their agent had made a mistake with my ticket. I accidentally left my AirPods at the desk. I boarded my plane and noticed they were missing. I quickly checked the location and called the desk. I explained I was already on the plane, so that I couldn’t get off. We had about 75 people still boarding, and the door was still open. The agent at the desk, Kristen, said if I have time, I will walk them to your gate. (This was at gate 4/6, and I’m at gate 10, not far at all) of course, she did not have time, and now I’m being told I have to pay for FedEx to have them shipped back, and that’s if they are found. It’s so sad that they encourage laziness and the lack of customer service.

Resolution response: Nov. 19, 2022

I was never compensated for my all-day cancelation. This company does not respond or care about its customers.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I was delayed 3 times over 5 hours on a flight and never got compensated and I paid for Business select which is worthless. Worst airline ever!! This is a no-frills airline. Never take this airline if you are claustrophobic or if you get panic attacks.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I have been a loyal SouthWest Rapid Rewards member since 2000. Due to Covid, and my company's policy, was unable to travel for the past 2 years. Earlier in February this year, was able to take the first business trip. I was shocked that my A list status was dropped due to inactivity and without any warning or communication. Contacted SouthWest and lodged a complaint. The response was that there was inactivity and reminded me of the requirements to gain the A List status. This is in stark contrast to the spirit of the customer centric airline that I have enjoyed over the years.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I have been an A-list Preferred member with companion pass for years and generally book all travel with Southwest. So, it grieves me to see the customer service and communication fall so low. I recently had some difficulty with travel vouchers that were expiring and I contacted Southwest to see what options were available to use them…. It was a lot of money! After 1 hr and 47 minutes on hold, I was told that nothing could be done, and there was no one I could talk to to escalate the matter to a higher supervisor. The customer service coordinator actually said “my supervisor doesn’t take calls”. She did offer to have someone call me back in “6-8 business days”.

I eventually did receive a call back and the next person I spoke with was even less helpful stating the same line “my supervisor does not take calls”, but she promised to escalate it up the chain and said someone would contact me. They did. I received a letter informing me that they reviewed my information and no further action would be available to me. You know things are awful at Southwest when the bottom of an email says “do not attempt to respond to this email”. Basically, I lost $460 in LUV Vouchers, that we’re supposed to be gift cards (never expire) from business travel that was paid for and had to be canceled during the pandemic.

Southwest used to be tops in customer service, and Loyalty was their greatest asset. It is so disappointing to see that they no longer aspire to be the best. As far as flights go, they are OK. A listers tend to get their choice of seats, and many times one person will buy a business class ticket and then “save” all the best seats in exit rows (Southwest “first class”) for their friends who are boarding later. Southwest does not address the issue of “saving” seats so they do not take a stance one way or the other. Flight attendants used to have a sense of humor and positive energy that made the flight fun. Not so much anymore. Overall, my recent experiences with Southwest have not been good, and there is no way to let them know. Customers don’t even receive no surveys anymore! It makes me sad.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I left an early Christmas gift on a flight from Logan to Midway. It was wrapped with instructions to not open until Christmas. Once I arrived at my final destination, I called the Lost and Found office in Midway and the woman I spoke with was extremely helpful and told me that they had my gift. She FedEx'd my gift to me and I had it by the end of the week. I am very grateful to Southwest for this experience. I am also grateful for the woman in Midway's Lost and Found office who proved to be kind and extremely helpful!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

First things first...we always fly Southwest Airlines. Today 12-25-2021 fly flight 800 to Las Vegas. We are business class which means we paid more for our flight and board before everyone else, which was to depart at 5:55 PM, but did not depart until 6:55 PM, their 1st strike. 2nd strike.... The "LADY" taking everyone's ticket was a complete sociopath and verbally assaulted my wife and myself because I asked about the 25 or so "pre-board passengers" which I've never seen in 40 years of flying.

She actually stepped up to me to chest bump me, saying "this was her flight" and we can't board because I mentioned we can't see her hidden badge to complain about her. Complete psycho, tried to get me to touch her. Said, we had to step aside so everyone else could board before us. This lady has zero reason to still be employed in customer service or by Southwest Airlines. Absolutely thee worst airport experience ever. I guess we'll fly Alaska from now on. DEUCES.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

Very rude people. I was told I had to pay extra to sit with my man and they had open seating. She stood there And argues about it. Never flying Southwest again. We all had seat numbers that should been enforced. She never apologized once. Then my friend was in a wheelchair only to the door she planned on walking on plane, they argued about that as well.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Updated on 12/29/2021: For the overall flight, I would give it 4 stars. The customer service reps are the worse. I booked a flight for my wife and I to Jamaica. We are on the bigger side so I booked a 3rd seat. The customer service lady told me that I would be able to get a refund once I returned from my trip. I called SW when I returned home and they took all my info. The lady told me it would take 5-10 business days to get my refund back. After the 10th day, still no refund, I called SW and checked the status. The lady told it could now take up to 3 weeks to get my refund. I called one more time on that week and a young man told me that he sees the refund has been processed and I should see the refund soon. We are now on business day 18 and still no money. So I called again. This time I was told it could take between 30 to 60 days. Buyer beware. If you try to get a refund from SW they will keep you chasing.

Original Review: Booked 3 seats since my wife and I on the bigger size. Customer service person that booked my flights advised when I get back home, call the customer service number and I would get a refund on my 3rd seat within 5-7 business days. So when I got back, I called SW and they took all my info for the refund and she stated she would get it processed. She told me the refund would take 5-10 business days. So today on the 10th day, there is still no refund. I called SW customer service to get an update. The lady told me I should be getting this any day now. After thinking about how the conversation went, I called back again. This time a different lady told me they are now running behind in the refund department and they just finished November refunds. She went on to say I need to give it another week or so. SW is quick to take your money but slower than snails to refund your money.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I am so disappointed with Southwest. I was recommending them to friends, but now I am telling them not to fly with them because they are not willing to help their customers and unethical in their policies. If your Southwest ticket was affected from the pandemic and the expiration date was extended to 9/2022, beware as once you buy a ticket now with your travel funds from the cancelled pandemic flight, and then decide that you have to change that ticket, your expiration will be only about 15 days from the day you cancel the new flight.

They say that this is in the fine print, but why are they making the expiration date so much earlier anyway and who reads the fine print. This is so deceiving because you think you are going to still have until 9/2022 to use it. I cancelled my flight in mid October and expiration date was now changed from 9/2022 to 10/23/21. I've called and asked to get it changed back to the 9/2022 expiration date, but this is the response I received, "It truly saddens me that we are not able to honor your request on this occasion. Your situation falls subject to our policy that must be upheld in order to maintain the integrity of our operation, and I am deeply sorry that I am unable to do more." The sad part about this was that I spent more money when I bought this new ticket only to have it expire in less than a month and lost about $215. Why are they talking about integrity? Anyway, I hope this helps someone before they don't want to fly Southwest anymore.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Do not fly this airline. Especially if you have a connecting flight. Missed connection due to waiting for weather… Ok, fine. This has happened many times. To my surprise, I was left stranded in a different state for over about 24 hours until I could get on another flight. Southwest does not work with other airlines, so you are stranded. I had to spend an additional 140$ for a hotel and the costs just snowballed from there. The miserable woman in lost baggage was horrible to everyone in line. I will spend the extra money to fly Delta next time. Alaska should win out in the West Coast. It’s not even a holiday weekend and experiencing these difficulties is ridiculous. Horrible airline. Don’t learn the hard way.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I get that flights can be delayed or cancel, to be misinform passengers, that's completely out of character! Mario was the lead steward. He was so drunk, the whole plane smelled like ethanol! Considering times are tough, better to get in a car and drive than exposing yourselves to some **/drama caused by an underpaid, unsatisfied employee! That then, you get the consequences for their stupid drunken attitude!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I was one of the customers that was screwed by the rightful pilot walkout. I am happy that the pilots took a stand and the aftermath isn’t their problem. But when our flight was canceled and we called to reschedule our flights on a non refundable vacation, we couldn’t get anyone on the phone. After 5 hours on hold we had to make a decision to buy new flights with another company for $1,200 or lose a 5k vacation. We figured southwest would rather pay for the flights. No they would rather not give us anything so we are out both flights. Southwest gets away with this by saying that the 800 cancellations we due to weather, not the walk out. Never flying with them again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I had a very important flight scheduled 6 weeks in advance from Atlanta to Denver and Desmond and needed to be back to work. They canceled our flight, refused a refund or pay for another or give refund.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Cancelled our flight due to Southwest labor issues. I was let on hold for 3 hours with no one picking up and called 4 times each time on hold for hours still no one picked up. Online service was terrible delaying our departure by 3 day with no options and long layovers. Find another Airline.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Flight was cancelled 10/9. Was informed to get in line at ticket counter. Which I did then was informed needed to claim luggage prior to be able to get new reservations. Unfortunately my luggage appeared at the end causing my place on line to be placed at the end. At the same time I placed a phone call to Southwest. I also made reservations for the next day out of a different airport since no other reservations were available on their site. I reached Southwest customer service 10 hrs later to make sure my reservation was taken care of. The mailI received changed my reservations to the next following day. Now I am hold ag for hrs that I should be sleeping. Especially if I need to be at the airport by 5 am. So dissatisfied with this airline.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

This airline does a quality job of getting people to their destination at a reasonable price and tries to be on time. Their employees seem to try to do their best to make for a good flying experience.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I used to LOVE Southwest Airlines above all other companies. From the first moments I walked into the baggage line to the plane ride. It was top notch customer service. I even use their credit card. Last year I started noticing a decline in their kindness, but I chalked it up to Covid. It’s been hard year on us all. The last straw was a couple weeks ago (my third trip on Southwest this summer). I had come into the check in baggage line in Reagan DC airport. I checked my bag in at the Kiosk and promptly got in line to give to the lady at desk. There was two lines to choose from, neither was marked clearly so I assumed (as others did) it didn’t matter which one we got into.

After over a hour wait in our line and feeling very anxious that I was going to miss my plane. There was a lady two people in front of me was being yelled at by TWO Southwest employees because she had used the kiosk and the line she stood in was for full service only. They made her go to other side and re get in line that was wrapped around three times. The Southwest man was non sympathetic to her pleas and the-other coworker was saying hateful remarks behind him. This lady left crying and I’m sure missed her flight. I now just realized and in a panic cause I self checked my bags at kiosk too and was so scared to face the attendant. I walk up to her and she nastily says “I really wish YOU people would wait to be called”. And then realized I had tagged my bag. She glared at me and says “Did you not just see what happened to the other lady?” And she continued to berate me and be very insulting while taking my bags.

I got the impression I should of been grateful to her for taking my bag (I did do half her job. All she had to do was take my damn bag.). She let me go through. But I was almost in tears. By the time I got through security I walked right up to my terminal and asked the south west guy standing at gate, if they had boarded yet? He could hardly bring himself to lift his head from his phone and mumbled no. But everyone lined up a min later. The flight was ok. No complaints once on plane. I am completely disappointed, and hurt by this airline. Plane tickets aren’t cheap, it’s stressful to travel anyways, and to be treated like dog poop from the company you used to love sooo much. Is just too much. I am about throw in my credit card and towel into this airline and find another.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I flew from Denver to San Jose Ca. It was a pleasure from checking in to boarding the plane, flight was on time, airplane was very clean and flight attendants pure pleasure. I am 75 years old female and love to fly. Will recommend Southwest to my family and friends,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

They do not care about your safety. They did not intervene regarding a threat to my life. I complained and they arrogantly ignored it. They care less about passenger security. Do not fly with them. Never again will I fly with them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

The flight attendants are passive aggressive and are very short when answering questions. I asked zero questions, asked for literally nothing from them and they were still rude. I felt super bad for the passengers who ACTUALLY needed ANYTHING. The flights are constantly delayed and the plane is always hot. The ventilation was awful. They overbook and cram people together. Just pure hell. I used to love them. Now I will never fly again with them. Also the whole pick your own seat thing is not a perk! People cut in line all the time.

Southwest Airlines Company Information