1.55/5
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

RCI

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

555 RCI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

On February 22nd 2018 our business line was called by RCI with a supposed offer of a resort stay. I have always trained our entire staff to consistently wait out the automated calls and speak with a representative in order to be taken off of all future lists. This will help with our office costs of constantly being bombarded with ridiculous sales calls that we receive each day.

Upon receiving the first call of the day with a brief survey that needed to be answered and was hung up on before being allowed to say that we wanted to be taken off of the list. I then took over the handling of this on my own and called 16 times and was hung up on each and every time. I did have a short talk with a David and a Jordan and spoken to rudely each time as I asked why I was not being allowed to be taken off of their sales list. We are not ever going to be a customer and I would think that upper management would only want good, qualified leads within the pipeline. Nevertheless, this company should not be in business if this is the training that the salesforce has been taught in never allowing to be placed on the do not call list by hanging up on everyone before they can actually say the words.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Booked an exchange with RCI for a property that we have been to before. Excellent resort called Wyndham Palm Aire in Pompano, Florida. We had booked a cruise for one week and the resort for another. Airfare was booked for the 2 weeks. The exchange was booked beginning of October 2017. Paid an exchange fee of $359.00 CDN. On December 19th, we were called and told that our reservation was cancelled due to the hurricane damage of Irma which was on September 8th., 2017.

Seems they never told us that it was possible that the resort would not be available because of the damage even though they booked us and took our money. Imagine hurricane from Irma on the 8th of September and they took our reservation on the 7th of October. They mentioned on the telephone that would replace the points a bonus certificate and a refund of our money. When we get back from extra cost vacation and looked at our credit card there was no refund. I called and was told that I should look at the terms and conditions of their exchange contract. I did so, after looking through 26 other pages to find the clause of FORCE MAJEURE, which means acts of god or other non responsible situations.

After speaking with 2 different supervisors who must be well trained to rip you off I was told that there is no refund but willing to give a coupon which I must use to book another vacation by March 31st of 2018. I asked why did not they not tell me of the Hurricane situation and that the resort was damaged when I booked the reservation, they say they are in Indiana and have no knowledge that the resort would not be up and running for January 20th. They said tough luck and they have the right to book a property that is hurricane struck and then cancel reservations due to the condition of the resort and keep your money.

I was brought up and understand that a buyer should be made aware of a situation. In this case they claim that they could book any property knowing that there could be a problem without telling you upfront about that serious situation. Where has the integrity of Wyndham/RCI has gone. A member for 5 years with many exchanges also purchasing on 2 different occasions their Travel packages of cruises and resorts and a member of Wyndham Hotels. That's what I call RIPPED OFF. Shame on you RCI.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am mostly happy with RCI. The issues I have are booking extra vacations. You are unable to specify an ocean front room even though I have the Platinum membership. I don't see where I get anything from having the Platinum membership other than more yearly fees!!! It doesn't seem to have any clout with any of the resorts.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have both a weeks membership and points membership. It has become more and more difficult to schedule vacations. First, their website has constant issues often making it difficult to search. Second, the resorts are becoming fewer and far between which means fewer options and fewer rooms in this options. To find what you want you must be able to plan a year or more in advance particularly if you have kids in school and are often limited to school breaks and holidays which are a premium time. Third, the fees continue to increase. The member resorts apparently are trying to recoup money with all sorts of fees. The all-inclusive resorts are, perhaps the worst. Fourth, don't even get me started on the cruises. You can book the same cruise for significantly less on many other sights. They seem to pump the price up for RCI. It is really becoming rather worthless.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

So we received a phone call as probably most TS owners do alerting us to an update of owners, when I pressed the operator for owner of what, she said, "Timeshare" and I pressed further asking about what resort. So I asked if this was a sales pitch, she assured me no that it was only an update of benefits and services again being very vague. Since I am retired and have the free time to waste, we made our way over to Ruby Tuesday to be updated and as I suspected this is a veiled attempt to sell you their Platinum Exchange service in exchange for your timeshare. The hard sell of course is the escalating maintenance fees normally associated with timeshares. What they want is for you to sign your timeshare over to them, plus some amount of money this will get you out of your contract with your timeshare.

In our case they wanted $8000.00, this would have gotten us 20,000 points in their point system, all of this of course is a high pressure sales tactic, because you have to do it today, they did offer an attractive interest rate of 1% but failed to say how long that was for. I am wanting to do more research to find out the hidden fees and other cost associated with this offer. This was not directly through RCI, but a company contracted by RCI, Leisure Company or something like that. The part I didn't like were the deceptive way they get people to attend and their telemarketing practices. The sales person made a reference to selling car and in my opinion these folks are worse, as you don't get to see what you're buying. So buyers beware, but if you don't mind listening to their babble you can get a good steak dinner out of it for 2 hours of your time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We purchased our first week with RCI in 1991. Since then, there have been a few changes as the company has found a few creative ways to add fees (combining weeks, upgrading to Platinum membership, guest certificates, etc). You have to be flexible and plan ahead to get the best value out of using RCI. We always know where we are going a year before and we start monitoring availability early. In the 26 years that I been a member of RCI I have not been disappointed. In the old days, you could just deposit your week (even if it was a one bedroom) and exchange out for a larger (2-3 bedroom unit) with no issues.

In the past few years they have switched to a points system - which is not my favorite, but if you combine your points (two years together) then you can have enough points to stay in a really nice resort - always Gold Crown for us! It's really easy to book online. And yes, there is a fee to exchange your unit, but for $229-$299 you can go nowhere and stay for 7 nights. Even if you add your maintenance fees Let's say it's $800.00 for a week - you can't stay at a RESORT for $800.00. We just recently stayed in a 3 bedroom, 4 bath unit at the Hacienda Del Mar, Cabo San Lucas for 7 nights. I checked online and just to have a hotel room there was over $2000.00 for the week. If you love to travel, love to see new things and have new adventures, and will do your homework - RCI will pay off for you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Purchased a platinum membership and there is absolutely no value for the money whatsoever, bought points membership and for the points they give you, you can book very little... and you are fee'd to death, there is a fee for everything, horrible value.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

We've been members of RCI for more than 20 years, ever since our parents "gifted" us with their timeshare. At first, we were able to exchange for places we wanted to go, when we wanted to go. Then they started selling the premium spots and dates, so now, if we're lucky, we can go to Myrtle Beach in January. They were sued in a class action, found liable, and the penalty was that they had to give every member a discount coupon toward a cruise. Really? Obviously, some back dealing going on there. You pay to join, you pay to exchange, you pay to combine points, then you pay to use those points. You can easily rack up another $400 in RCI fees on top of your resort maintenance fees. Rip off.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could give a -10 rate, I would. We've been with RCI for over 20 years, the services and fees are getting worse and worse. I live in the midwest and sucked into converting weeks to points paying extra $5000 for supposedly more flexibility. Not so, as I was never able to book anything on weekend near where I live. We pay $1200 maintenance fee to our home resort that includes cleaning, taxes, maintenance, reserve, etc. We also pay $124 RCI annual membership fee and $199 exchange fee typically without point protection plan. August 2017, we booked 2 units paid 2 separate exchange fee because they couldn't find anything larger than one bedroom. We booked 10 days before vacation. Because their computer system had malfunctioned, I called in to book, the representative sneaked point protection plan without me knowing for 2 units for another $100. So instead of $199 we should have paid, we ended up with $498.

Today, I tried to book a vacation a year early in Sedona, AZ area for 12/2018. I noticed there's $26 point saving fee on my account. I didn't know what it was so I called to find out. I was told they charge automatically points you haven't used from the previous year of this fee. It's now 2017, why can't I use my unused points from 2016 without paying another fee on top of other fees? The Kicker is $26 to save your points and $85 to use your less than 30,000 saved points, $125 for more than 30,000. LOL. Another crazy thing is the resort we were interested in required 73,000 for 2 bedrooms which we had no problem, but the exchange fee was higher because it was "weeks" unit. My screen says 73,000 points nothing about weeks. I guess RCI change or say whatever to squeeze you every dime. This must be a new fee change.

When I complained about this fee, the rep said they could get rid of my 16,000 unused points from 2016 at no charge but I still have to pay for points saved fee. I wanted to make sure what I heard was right, so I summarized and confirmed with rep. Yes you have to pay the fee you didn't even know and authorized for them to take your points for free. Does anybody angry most resorts charge cleaning fees also? Didn't we pay that to the home resort we didn't use? Somebody out there, tell me if RCI practice is legal. Let's start some sort of class action suit against this shady company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I got two phones calls from RCI Promotions this morning. At the first one, I completed the survey to get to a "person" to talk to. I told them I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and take me off of their computer. An hour later, I got a repeated call. Grrrrr. I have messaged Hilton Hotels, who RCI was using as their partner in their spiel.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Booking #** on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Did not get promised confirmation emails as promised by consultant. Consultant did not return calls over a period of at least 4 days, and then after I informed her I was canceling my trip and why through voice. Consultant called sister in law to get email address rather than calling me. At that point I got the promised email plus one telling me I had to call 6028245993 ext 1104 for cancellation department. I started calling immediately and have yet to get an answer. The line is never "available". Although I'm still attempting to call, I sent a certified letter on Thursday to the "cancellation department", canceling my trip. If I do not get a full refund I will be contacting my attorney. I do not expect to hear anything from this complaint. I do not like to "create an account" to file a complaint. Very interesting I got no response from the consultant until I tried to cancel!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

If I could rate RCI a Zero I would. We got rid of our timeshare in Colorado and cancelled RCI since we no longer had a unit to bank and trade. We were promised a credit in the next billing cycle and to date that has NOT happened yet. (It is now 11/7.) We cancelled in Aug. and expected a credit in Sept. When we did not receive it I called again and still no credit. They talk a good game on the phone but they don't come through. We stopped booking anything besides a "gold crown" resort since the quality on the other resorts was questionable. We showed up for a vacation once on Oahu and the resort showed signs of a fire and had a tattoo parlor below it.

We drove right on by and called RCI to find us another resort. They said they couldn't do it but would credit our week back...lot of good that did us since we were already in Oahu. That vacation ended up costing us an additional $2500!! We had been disillusioned with RCI for quite some time, but thought we needed to keep it as long as we had our timeshare. Knowing what we know now we would have cancelled RCI a long time ago.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I rented a car through RCI travel and was forced to return it early due to hurricane Irma, Enterprise was the host company. After returning the car early Enterprise informed me had I rented directly from them I would already have a refund. RCI refuses to give me a refund even though Enterprise agreed they owe me the money ($519.00). This company ripped me off. DO NOT EVER DEAL WITH THEM, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR VACATION... JUST YOUR MONEY! DISHONEST THIEVES.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

RCI sucks! I broke down and signed up for RCI. I wanted to exchange my week in Orlando for weeks in other parts of the Country. I paid their fees and set up a place in Gilford New Hampshire at the Fireside Inn. Well due to bad weather and Power outages, they had to evacuate the Hotel and Family members as well. The Resort found rooms for everyone else and said because they went through RCI they are not paying customers. So I called RCI and they said they could comp me a week and they could find a place for them to stay on the 3rd of November. 4 days from now. People travel on budgets, RCI could care a less.

RCI is so quick to sell you crap (that's what it is crap). When you need them to help out, they are right there to do nothing for you. I gave them 1 star because I had to click on 1. I wouldn't give them anything. That's what I think of this company. Find a different company to do an exchange with. They will leave you in the wind. You can bank on it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We were gifted a timeshare at Massanutten Resort in Virginia with 2 bonus weeks and found out we had to join RCI to use our "bonus weeks". We heard it was a hassle and you had to start calling 45 days in advance of the dates you want and then call every day to try to get the dates. I have found that this is not the case. Every time I called on the first day I got the dates we wanted. The first time I called the RCI rep was very helpful and offered me the unit "on sale" for a lot less than the exchange fee and kept my bonus week.

The second time I called, I got the week I wanted, but there was an error in the reservation when I got the confirmation e-mail. I called RCI and they corrected the error and gave me an extra bonus week for my trouble. So, I am more than satisfied with my RCI interactions and am considering upgrading to Platinum, as it seems I would save more and get better deals. No problems at all with RCI, to date. Actually have traveled more because of the good service and good rates. We only use the resort where we own, as we have traveled so much, we really don't want to go anywhere else. The Woodstone Meadows Resort at Massanutten is beautiful and comfortable, plus we were given the timeshare, so $250 or less for 7 days is peanuts...

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

After consulting with my legal team here is what has been brought to my concern and why I canceled. Unfair methods of competition; deceptive or unfair acts. It is unlawful to engage in unfair methods of competition or deceptive or unfair acts in the offer to sell or sale of a timeshare including, without limitation: 1. Misrepresenting or failing to disclose any material fact concerning a timeshare. 2. Including in an agreement for the purchase of a timeshare provisions purporting to waive any right or benefit provided for purchasers under this chapter. 3. Receiving from a prospective purchaser any money or other valuable consideration before the purchaser has received a statement of public offering. 4. Misrepresenting the amount of time or period of time the unit will be available to a purchaser.

5. Misrepresenting the location or locations of the unit. 6. Misrepresenting the size, nature, extent, qualities or characteristics of the unit. 7. Misrepresenting the nature or extent of any services incident to the unit. 8. Misrepresenting the conditions under which a purchaser may exchange occupancy rights to a unit in one location for occupancy rights to a unit in another location. 9. Failing to disclose initially that any promised entertainment, food or other inducements are being offered to solicit the sale of a timeshare.

10. Conducting or participating in, without prior approval by the Division, any type of lottery or contest, or offering prizes or gifts to induce or encourage a person to visit a project, attend a meeting at which a timeshare will be discussed, attend a presentation or purchase a timeshare. 11. Failing to disclose initially to a prospective purchaser any agreement between the project broker or sales agent and the developer that results in a sharing of sales proceeds in excess of a minimum sales price for a timeshare. 12. Any act or practice considered an unfair method of competition or an unfair or deceptive act or practice under 207.170, 207.171 or 598.0915 to 598.0925, inclusive, or chapter. (Added to by 1985, 1134; A 1989, 650; 1991, 98; 2001, 2516)

When the timeshare was first being sold, a representative from the company tried to sell me the timeshare with a 30,000 plus mortgage. Then the price dropped to 15,000 and then all the way to 5,000. The salesmen were very deceptive and misleading throughout the whole transaction. I called on the phone before I had an appointment with the owner's division at the Grandview Vegas center. An representative informed me that a customer can only purchase one week out the year and she never heard of anything proceeding two weeks, ever!

I asked the question if it was possible to have unlimited as the other representative/salesman promised me. The other salesman informed me that I could get unlimited weeks with the “VIP” package. I soon learned that the VIP package was not that VIP in reality. When I got to her negotiation table she then changed her original promise of unlimited week to a max of 8 weeks. Now the conundrum is where is the truth in this company. One representative told me a max of 2 weeks and another told me unlimited and changed to 8 weeks. I would not have wasted my time nor business day seeing her in person if you would have delivered that information about the 8 weeks limitation.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We booked a vacation at the Flamingo using savings dollars from RCI. The resort has been destroyed and is not open, nor are their any flights as the airline cancelled our reservations. I asked RCI for a Credit or Refund or a rebooking to another resort but I was told that since I made the reservation online thru the RCI website and payment was made to RCI, the payment then went to resort and I am not able to get a refund of any sort at all. Why cant I get at least a credit or a refund from RCI, or why can't RCI help me recover the fee from the hotel, if that's really the case.

This is misleading, bad business practice and makes no sense. I understand that if I needed to change or cancel, then I would be responsible, but I never heard of a situation where there is no hotel to go to, no airline to get you there and there is no refund of any kind. I called Diamond resorts who naturally said that since the reservation was made thru RCI it's their responsibility.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have belonged to RCI since 2005. I have utilized them a few times and have always had problems booking a vacation - the process never worked well. My recent communication with them was in April 2017 to book a vacation for some time before my deposited vacation with them expired - in August 2017. They have not been able to find me a vacation, and they actually messed up my ongoing reservation two or three times, changing information in it that was not supposed to be changed.

Funny, today is August 30, and they didn't send me an e-mail about my ongoing search either last week or this week, and they have been consistent about e-mailing their progress every week to two weeks. I contacted them via telephone today, and was disconnected after being on hold for several minutes. I tried calling back 2-3 times, and got "air space", the call wouldn't go through. I tried again a fourth time after 15 minutes or so, and finally got through. I asked them to find me a vacation for the month of October in 4 entire states, and they only found one that is a minimum two-hour drive away from the closest airport. No thanks.

My only option now is to pay them MORE FEES to try to not lose out so much money. They have my week, which cost me $900 in the first place, the $230 fee they charged to find me a replacement vacation, and now they want more money to extend the search. They are such a rip-off! Don't waste your money, I have a lot of experience with them, and we've benefited very little from our membership with them over the past 12+ years. Even their online search mechanism is difficult and extremely time consuming to utilize, and is subject to frequent glitches. It is my opinion that if you own a timeshare, you are better off just going to your home resort.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I was totally displeased when after a US State Dept expanded travel warnings to Mexico (Cabo) - I cancelled my trip to Cabo in December 2017 and they would not refund the $216 exchange fee because they only give you 24 hours to cancel. The trip is 4 months away and even though there was severe circumstances they refused to refund. Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I recently stayed at the absolutely wonderful Occidental Xcaret. I just want to put it on record that the hotel staff were amazing. On the first day we were approached by staff members to ask us if we would like a tour of the hotel. As it was absolutely amazing we agreed. We were collected in our reception the next day early. We were then introduced to a girl who showed us around the whole complex and showed us the really expensive rooms. I have to admit I was very impressed. The tour guide then started to tell us she was coming to Ireland for a holiday. We got on very well to be honest but in hindsight it was probably lies that she was ever going to Ireland at all. When we finished our tour we were brought back to the offices. It was then I realised it was a timeshare thing.

The sales guy started looking for €39000 deposit which I didn't have and wasn't prepared to pay. He then kept bringing his prices down till I agreed to buy the smallest package possible. When all the paper work was getting sorted I asked to lodge money into their account but they weren't having a bar of that. I admit I was very apprehensive at this stage but I did proceed. They took €756 out of my account. We made it very clear that we wanted to reserve the hotel for next year. We were told in very reassuring that would be no problem. Over the next few days I went back down to their offices and I asked what was required. The sales man started telling me and I went away happy.

Me and my girlfriend returned the next day and told him all the information that he required. He told us we have a clarification email within seventy two hours. We only had seventy two hours left of our holiday. We left to come home (feeling very uneasy). I proceeded to email the resort about our booking. 1. They knew nothing about us. 2. Seemingly you can only book the resort sixty days before arrival. We were lied to so much. It's a complete scam. As for the girl that brought us around pretending to our friend. Either she was seriously naive or was totally in on it. I am putting it down to a bad debt and I have informed my bank and they have taken measures to protect me. Please do not trust these people.

Original review: July 24, 2017

We were roped into a timeshare we never really wanted! Now we can't get out of it & they charge yearly fees & fees for transferring your own points!! Very disappointed with this company. Never get involved with them if you can avoid them. Unhappy timeshare owners!

Original review: July 19, 2017

Island Activity Company lured us with discounted luau if we attend a timeshare presentation of RCI. They asked for IDs with matching addresses for couples. Since I am single, I assumed I did not to worry about that. Island Activity Company said that a passport will do. When we went to RCI presentation, one lady realtor was rude when I told her I don't have an ID with my home address. I have a couple of valid Government issued IDs. She rejected it. But I still went through the presentation since it sounded like a good deal. I went out refusing to pay the 500 dollar deposit. Saw my credit card billed twice for the hold.

I called Island Activity Club and asked for clarification. These rude realtor ladies reported that I did not meet the income qualification. I went through their presentation and the only issue I was told then was the lack of proof of my address. So if they failed to sign me up they could just make an issue of my income (which they don't even have a proof) to disqualify me from the discounted luau. I believe they make money out of scamming tired tourists with technical disqualification which they can't even verify. They won't even give their contact information considering they are a big company. Pressure selling from rude people.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I signed up with RCI for what reason? I was with Interval International, I wanted to stay at Disneyland, contacted RCI and asked how to stay at Disneyland in California, couldn't get a straight answer. The only answer I received was I had to join with RCI and deposit my week with them to see what kind of trading power I had. Well I am not going to deposit my week if I can't stay where I want to go. So finally I got a representative tell me "You have to deposit your week and request through them at least a year or more in advance to be on a waiting list," but of course they already have my money of joining. Now I have no resort to stay at and I have to stay in a hotel when I have a timeshare that I pay thousands of dollars for, so someone please tell me why we pay all of this money if we're still staying in hotels? I want my money refunded!!!

Original review: July 5, 2017

Booked a cruise... Needed rental car to and from port along with hotel stay. Rental car representatives completely uneducated on most convenient, cheapest options. Hotel and cruise was booked through Expedia so needless to say hotel reservation was lost; only able to stay at same hotel because room was attached to a Hilton Diamond member... Room had a 2-3 inch dead roach among other issues. No refund possible due to third party booking. Not to mention charged more than rack rate and was charged an extra fee from RCI for booking third party! Zero customer help from RCI until day six; only to tell me sorry about my luck. I could not have done a worse job booking a vacation all one my own with no professional experience. Cannot drop this company fast enough!

Original review: June 29, 2017

We were sucked into a timeshare with Sapphire Resorts a subsidiary of RCI. They lied about great airfare deals, They lied about buybacks. The customer service is laughable. Used my membership once and was so fed up with the incompetence of the company that I wanted out. No satisfaction guaranteed. You are stuck with high maintenance fees and virtually nothing for your money. Disgusting, unethical dishonest company. Do not get ripped off like we did. I wish I could warn everyone who gets lured by their slick sales techniques.

Original review: June 19, 2017

We have been RCI customers for over 13 years, we love to travel and yes, we have used them quite often. We were solicited a cruise package through them which was two 3-5 day cruises for two people, and a 7 day stay at specific resorts on their website. The cost of this package was $2399. Sounds good at the time right? NOT SO MUCH. When you book your "free" cruise that you just paid for, you are only offered mostly inside cabins and some ocean view cabins at no extra charge. But then you have to pay taxes, port charges and an "NCCF" fee. After all the fees paid when you book your cruise, it comes out to be $100-$300 less than booking straight through the cruise company. So I paid $2399 to get a $200-600 discount on my cruises!!!

Yes, I also received a 7 night stay in one of the few resorts that they offer, however, I could have booked these on the RCI website for $249 for the week as an extra vacation with no points or exchange fees!!! What a scam they have going on here! So I pretty much just gave them $1500 for nothing. It is disgusting the way they run their business.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I have owned at the Royal Islander in St. Maarten since 1989. Purchased a studio and joined RCI. It worked out well as I deposited a studio every year as I owned Labor day and did not really want to go that time of year. Most/all of the time my exchange was never a studio, but a two bedroom and even sometimes Royal Islander gave me one of the Penthouses! No combining weeks either as I go every year. Since Wyndham took over (downhill) I sold my studio to my girlfriend who only wants to go every other year and I purchased a 2 bedroom for $1995 in a fire sale. (Yippee) The exact week I want to go down for the next 25 years... I will never deposit my week, and RCI will never make money on me again to exchange! You deposit, they resell... Who makes the money! Then they make you pay $199+ to exchange, another Win Win for RCI and nothing for their customers.

I only buy extra vacations, period. I do have the Platinum, so it cost me about $130 a year to buy extra vacations when they first pop up. Still, another win for RCI as their inventory is extra. But their extra vacation prices are now getting too steep. Eventually they will get it. Better to sell 100,000 weeks at $299 than 10,000 for $999 and 90,000 left over. People traveling to these locations stimulate the economy. Yes some eat in their rooms, but they still go to the grocery stores and still eat meals out as well as their entertainment/adventures. But RCI is better than Intervals International. More inventory. When last minute Caravanserai in SXM closed its doors to people with reservations, RCI got us another timeshare on the island it we had a wonderful time. Though I did end up having more people in our room than planned on but we needed to work with RCI too due to the circumstances. They still owe me a week for that, but I'll never probably see it.

Original review: June 9, 2017

The sales presentation is excellent at this company. They show you places that you can "use" at whatever location you say you are interested in. When you actually pay and sign up and get online to look for a place in that location, it is not available or is 3 times the points you expected to have to use. There should be a trial period so that you can sell back within the first month or so, but there is not. They tell you that you can sell it back, but when you ask, they say that that "period" is over. You are basically stuck. Wish I could give a 0.

Original review: June 5, 2017

RCI is the worst resort company ever. They steal points away from you that you have purchased and says that the points were used under a vacation that was never booked. In order to resolve this situation, they'll transfer you back and forth to departments and have you wait hours!!! I hate this company with a passion. Rip offs!

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have purchased many certificate packages from RCI travel department. When I purchased 2 more packages last year, I was told that I could get 1 week at a resort of my choosing and either a premium cruise or 2 seven night cruises. I used my resort stay and one of the 7 night cruises without any problems. I went to use the second 7 night cruise and ran into a huge mess. First, when I originally purchased the package I was told I could have a balcony suite. Well, not the case anymore. I was told that I can only have an inside stateroom. So disappointed I went ahead and booked the cruise anyway. Now that we are close to our cruise date, I called the cruise certificate department looking for the itinerary that was never mailed to me. This is how we communicated in the past.

They said they emailed it to me but I never received it. It probably went to spam. They are saying I owe an additional $1116.95 on each of the two packages to pay for an inside stateroom. I paid the gov and taxes at time of booking and was told the certificates would cover the remaining balance. They said the cruise was not paid in full. I paid over $3,000.00 for the certificates plus $575.00 for gov and taxes for each stateroom. Now they want an additional $1116.95 for an inside stateroom on top of the $3575.00 I have already paid. I asked them what the certificate value was and was told they did not know. I now am considering cancelling the cruise and rebooking directly with Princess since it is much cheaper.

I am arguing with RCI to get my money back. They say they will have to investigate further with other departments to see if I qualify for a refund. I have spent over 3 hours on the phone with them trying to fix the problem. I am so disappointed in the supervisor Ramon in the certificate department for not fixing this mistake. My itinerary also shows that I have paid the balance in full. I kept directing Ramon to that document and he still maintains I owe a balance. DON'T BUY THE VACATION CERTIFICATES FROM RCI TRAVEL. IT IS A SCAM!! YOU CAN GET A BETTER DEAL GOING DIRECT TO THE CRUISE LINE.

RCI expert review by ConsumerAffairs

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.rci.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use