3.54/5

Discover a great timeshare now

627 RCI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2019

This timeshare is an absolutely horrible scam, they talk it up to way waaaay more than it is! DO NOT FALL FOR IT LIKE I DID! Such a waste of money! I feel absolutely misled & completely stolen from????

Original review: May 14, 2019

I attended a Sapphire Resorts presentation in Big Bear and had an extremely uncomfortable conversation with the manager/leader at the presentation, Kenny **. I came in with the documentation provided to me at a previous presentation in Las Vegas. This documentation was what I had purchased (a trip for 8 days/7 nights to try out the resorts before purchasing a timeshare).

I had been unable to receive a response from customer service regarding why I could not yet schedule my trip and was hoping to get answers at this presentation. Instead, Mr. Kenny ** said "oh, that's not our company, they have bad reviews, we've heard negative comments about them." I responded with "This is a company you do business with. I walked into a Sapphire presentation and walked out with this paper." He continued to state that they are not associated with Sapphire and that it was "just about the money." His lack of professionalism continued with "You get what you pay for." Please save yourself huge headaches and time and walk away. Do not purchase a timeshare from a company whose representative will admit that it is about the money and not stand behind what they sold to me. THE FREE GIFTS ARE NOT WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT AND LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

This exact situation happened to myself and 3 other who were suppose to go on a cruise to Alaska this June. "We paid $200.00 a month to RCI that we were told was going for the cruise. After a year we finally got someone to get us our cruise. They needed $1665.00 plus $885.00 to pay for the cruise. They said the $200.00 per month was to be put on the preferred list, not the cruise. Had we known we could have gotten the tickets from Princess cruises for $1665.00. We called at least once a week and most of the time no one called us back. We will never use RCI again."

Michael I am so sorry you had to go through the same situation. We paid $4000 with tax included and two days before the cruise had to be paid off. We were told we had to pay an additional $2600 in two days or lose our cruise and all our money. We tried to dispute with our banking and have lost all our money because of lies. The lady we were going through even said she doesn't know why they are charging us additional money because the cruise was paid off. She then called the following day and told us the reason for the additional cost was because we upgraded our rooms. Which we never did. We never talked to anyone regarding any upgrading. Her only response was yes you did and don't be stubborn. Pay your money or else you will lose out on your money. NANCY **. Never again will we use RCI. Or do I recommend to anyone else.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Poor attention to detail. Twice, my niece's name was spelled wrong, on her plane ticket. First her last name. Tickets had to be cancelled and now at the 12th hour her name is not fully spelled on the ticket. This trip was all connected to a cruise. Hello, possibly copy paste, people!

Original review: May 9, 2019

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: May 2, 2019

We took a trip to Mayan Palace Riviera Vidanta Mexico in February 2019. After arriving late evening we just wanted to get to our room and relax our first of seven day stay. But we were greeted by a very persistent representative. The night didn't get any better because she lied, made promises she could not keep, promising a bottle of wine for each night that we were staying at the resort if we attended the presentation, that never happened. The bathroom I would rate at a two as well, I think they could have done a better cleaning of the shower.

At least 3 of the 6 nights that we stayed there I had to call several times about noise coming from next door (very loud TV late at night), and noise from across the hall. You could hear when other individuals would leave their room, because when the door would close it would echo throughout the hall. You have to check your bill very carefully before paying when checking out, there was a charge for a bottle of water on our bill that was never in the room. We were not told that we needed to give a 24 hour notice to get transportation back to the airport when we checked out the night before or when the reservation was made for the pickup from the airport. We will never stay at this resort again. It was the bottom of the line of their properties.

Original review: May 1, 2019

This is a review of the sales presentation for RCI's Club 365. If you're not interested in buying, then don't attend the presentation. It's not worth your time of 1.5 hours. The good. After arriving early and meeting with an adviser, the presentation started on time and was fairly engaging. It ended after an hour. Met with a different adviser for about 15 minutes. He realized we weren't buying and quickly gave us our "gifts". There was no high pressures sales.

The bad. Basic package was $14K, but you could get it reduced. The ugly. We were given a $5.00 Walmart card (told it was $25-500). We received the brochure to get the flight and the cruise. However, the steps and restrictions don't make it worth it. You must return the form with 3 weeks, you pick 2 dates and 2 cruise ports or destination airports and hope you can make work what you get. You must also send $50 or $75 refundable deposit via money order/certified check AND certified mail. You can't fly a week before or after major holidays, including President's Day and Columbus Day.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I trade my timeshare on RCI each year, so I not only pay an exorbitant annual maintenance fee to The Manhattan Club, but also the RCI $99 annual membership fee plus a $245 trade fee each time I book a trip. A few years ago, I was informed by RCI that my original 47,500 points were now valued at 60,700. Sounds great, right? Well, I actually don't use all those points every year, so I thought I could just let unused points expire. Instead, I discovered today that unused points automatically get rolled over into the next use year for a fee of $36. So it seems to me RCI increased my points so that it could get an extra $36 each year from me. I wish I could get out of this entire scam for good.

Original review: April 20, 2019

When I was told by RCI that I had $1200 sitting in my account that had to be used or I would lose it, I thought since we were thinking of a river cruise in 2020 this would be a good way to use it. When I was quoted a price for the cruise and an additional package for hotel discounts etc, after comparing prices with other cruise companies, it appeared to be a good deal. Because it appeared to be such a good deal I asked numerous times does this include the cruise and everything in the package.

Each time I asked I was assured that yes, this was the total cost. However, several days later after paying a downpayment I was notified that they had made a mistake in quoting the price and that they were not prepared to honor their original offer which I had accepted and that I had to cancel the cruise with the cruise line... at a cost of $200. No compensation was offered and the supervisor whom I had to deal with over several days became aggressive and abusive. A most disappointing and frustrating experience. Stay clear of these "come on's" from disreputable companies like RCI.

Original review: April 20, 2019

We purchased our vacation points for $10,000. We were led to think that we could go anywhere at any time we wished. The problem is that there is no availability for the places you wish to go because the timeshare owners haven't 'deposited' their property in the exchange. You're basically waiting on them to make a place available. It's not already available, and first come first serve property owned by the resort. It's timeshare owners making it available when they wish to make it available. You are still dependent on timeshare owners, no matter how they dress up the 'point system'.

Original review: April 1, 2019

My mother was scammed into buying this. For 2600.00 she could get two cruises, a Hawaii resort stay, and 500.00 cash to use for the trips. The 500.00 cash is so hard to use, we were never able to claim it. What they don't tell you is NOTHING is free! I have calculated and my mom might have saved 1,000.00 on the cost of these trips. So in essence, she paid this company 1600.00 for shoddy service and complete frustration. You call for help and there is nothing they can do. They keep telling you to call the cruise line, you can't call the cruise line because they are your travel agent and they don't do anything for you.

Right now I am on hold because they authed a payment to the credit card but it didn't go through and I received a call saying, "In 72 hours your trip will be cancelled." This was not my error and they do nothing to help you. I have been on hold for over 20 minutes to speak to a supervisor after the agent did nothing to help me and was extremely rude. She said, "Sorry they are pushing us to get these payments." Again...not my fault. Regardless, you are doing all the arrangements yourself and when you do call for help, they don't have time for you. It is much cheaper to just plan the trip yourself and the cruise lines can then help you directly and you will save money. Don't do this, please! They prey on people.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Scammed into a Hasty decision, no way out it seems. They only care about taking your money then say, "Sucker, too bad. Nothing you can do about it." No way out. Sapphire Resorts, Jockey Club, Starpoint whatever you call yourselves...I say scammed.

Resolution response: March 21, 2019

I was incorrect on the actual name. They are not "The Registry Collection" company out of Carmel IN. I cannot find them listed with any BBB US city, or in Mexico.

Complete Scam. Stay Away.

Original review: March 12, 2019

RCI Promotions, RCI Timeshares, RCI, LLC. If you want to file a BBB complaint, their actual name is: The Registry Collection. PO Box 2099. Carmel, IN 46082 317-805-9349. My in-laws have a timeshare with them and suggested we call to ask about a promotion for us to go with them on a trip to Cancun Mexico. We booked a trip with RCI Promotions on 9/10/18 for a beautiful resort. They said that they could not finalize the trip with the resort until we were 3-month out and they said that someone would call us back near the first of January.

After no call, we called on 1/24/19 and was told that there were no more basic rooms which was the one we booked. So they said that we could pay a fee to upgrade to a better room, or they could switch our reservation to another resort. We looked up that resort, and it was nothing compared to the one we booked. It was like a Motel 6 vs a Four Seasons. So we told them that we would pay the upgrade fee. They said that they would get it booked and that we would get an email with our reservation info. So 3 days later we receive that email and it has us booked at the wrong resort (the one they suggested... Motel 6).

We called back and they said that there is nothing that they can do, because all the rooms are taken. Since we already had other family staying at the correct resort (the one we booked on Sept 10th) we were stuck. So I called the resort directly and they said that they had plenty of rooms of each. This didn't matter to RCI and they refused to help and when I asked for my money back, they said that it was non-refundable. Complete Scam!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was nicely informed about this great package and the fact they could do much better than a cruise I has already booked for 2020. After committing to purchase everything I realized I had been scammed too late. Unfortunately I left on an extended vacation and the time to rescind had passed even though I offered for them to keep the deposit. I was stuck paying the $146 a month for 18 months for vacations I did not really want. Their $2,900 vacation savings certificates offered no savings and are more than the normal cost at other websites. The "7 day cruise" is actually for very limited dates and cabin locations unless of course you pay a premium to upgrade.

My upgraded cost bought me a lifeboat oceanview! The benefit of a timeshare week also was limited to the worst dates or locations unless you paid an additional premium. I decided to just book a cruise and timeshare to use up my so-called benefits and be done with their program. Now I get a call that since I booked a cruise I have to pay the balance of the $146 a month membership before I can take the cruise. That is $2,199! That information was never told to me. As a frequent traveler, this was my worse vacation purchase ever. I am only writing this review so someone else might not make the same mistake.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

RCI will call your house, make the package deal sound so grand, very accommodating, stay on the phone with you as long as you need, answer any questions and then after you purchase the package deal for $2000 that's when everything changes. You can no longer get in touch with who you need to get in touch with, the reps are no longer so nice, the package deals have costs associated with the more beautiful resorts and you have to pay all of these fees on top of the $2000 you already paid for the package deal. Very manipulative company and fraudulent.

They will not accommodate you as they did when they were trying to sell you a package. It's just best to book your own vacations through another website or maybe even Groupon, than to have to deal with their customer service managers, attitudes and ignorance. I am saying all of this to say, save your $2,000 plus dollars and avoid the headache of having to deal with con-artists. They know that they are scamming people and make a living off of it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

In October 2018 my wife contacted RCI agent James ** to book our next family cruise in Royal Caribbean for March 17-24 2019 (Spring Break). For some reason the agent booked us for February 17-14! Unfortunately we were not able to catch this mistake. In the validation call my wife took the call while she was driving but it was very noisy and didn't catch the wrong dates. To make things worse they sent a confirmation email to my Hotmail account instead of my wife's... and it went to spam. I agree...the validation call gave them all the right to process the purchase but there was a mistake on their side that we failed to catch. I called RCI to find a resolution, compensation, help, support or anything. For RCI the validation call is all that matters...but guess what! They even admitted the other calls clearly stated that the date requested was in March! Avoid booking through RCI!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Booked our river cruise through RCI Platinum last August. Expected to hear about flight details 75 days in advance of planned travel. Paid extra $100 to customize travel. 73 days ahead still no information. Called Viking and they were sending updates to travel consultant at RCI. Called RCI and found out travel agent is no longer there. Was informed that when people leave RCI they can’t get email. Went back to Viking to get flight and hotel info and they did share it with me. Could not upgrade flight without voiding flight already booked. Asked to remove RCI from being involved in this transaction as they are not providing any value. RCI would charge me a fee of $186 to get out of the way, this on top of the $100 fee to customize flight that I could not customize. Makes no sense... Never using RCI again. Disappointed in service.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We purchased this vacation package last year July 2018, and was promised points don't matter and we have saved enough to finally book our first vacation after purchasing what is suppose to only been a 3-4,000 buy in and will end up being 25,000 when paid off. We cannot even use it for a vacation due to I do not have enough points. This company will verbally tell you everything that sounds great but in reality it is a huge scam and you cannot take a vacation with this company. Your points expire in May and if you would want them to roll over you have to pay an extra few hundred to keep them one more year to average 30,000 points which still does not give a family of 5 a vacation package that will meet a family of 5 needs by the packages they offer. Stay away from this place. They will take your money and leave you hanging and laugh when you call about your points. You get screwed. Please please do not sign a contract with these people.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We have been members since 2001. In the beginning it was good. No problems getting what we expected for the times and places we were looking at. In the past 5 years we have seen that RCI has only gone downhill in a big way. Product availability is scarce, exchange vacations for the points are the bottom end of the scale. Recently we were looking at a 2 bedroom in the south of Spain for Jun 1-8/19 with a trading # 19. We had 18 points in our account and only need to combine our current year to add the additional point to secure this unit. As we proceeded to put a hold on the 2 bedroom unit in Spain in which I was able to do, the unit somehow disappeared and was not available within the 2 min of putting it on hold or was no longer available for the 19 points.

I believe that RCI took the unit off the system as we noticed that other units of 1 bedroom or studios were up for the same amount of points... Hmmm! I wonder what happened? We are not impressed with the games that go on behind the system when we are paid up members and are not able to be able to obtain what we have basically booked or put on hold. To add further to this we pay a substantial fee of $355 CDN to exchange this in which my opinion is way to high for a simple exchange. This company does nothing to help and only ads insult by saying that the unit was taken by someone else. I believe they removed it from the exchange program and moved it to the extra vacations are which garners an $1000 for the week. This is fraud and unacceptable in my opinion. We will not be renewing our membership when it comes up in 2020.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I went to pay my Membership Renewal as I have every year for almost 20 years. The difference is that I did it online this time. After the initial screen which matched my paper statement, the payment screen showed an additional charge of close to the amount of my original bill. It was labeled “Renewal Fee”. When I called to ask what that charge was for, the first person had no idea. After being transferred to the actual billing department I was told it was because my membership had expired. I had two paper statements showing that my bill wasn’t due for another three weeks. Didn’t matter. I was told that I was informed in a letter SIX MONTHS prior that my membership expired at the end of the year.

Not a statement, a letter. With no due date, no renewal options, nothing. Because I hadn’t renewed before it expired, I had to pay almost as much money as the original bill in order to “unlock” my account to pay it! All the while, the only statement I had ever received showed a due date 3 weeks in the future. I’ve never seen anything like it. The worst part - I’d been paying this from the beginning (almost 20 years). The difference now is that something changed where they are required to break down the charges. CROOKED COMPANY!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We have been RCI members since 1992. We have stayed in beautiful properties, we have no problem getting into resorts we like (mostly Mexico). I am so disappointed with the points system which RCI changed the week owners to without any input from us. Now if I have 8 points left from a booking I must pay to have it combined with another, it goes on and on. As a Canadian we pay $355 for an exchange, no matter how you do the math Canadians are being screwed. We are paid up until September 2021, after that we’re gone.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have been a member of RCI since around 2000. They used to be a great exchange company but within the past couple of years have not been operating with their member's best interest in mind. They are slowly reducing their available inventory for exchange and dumping the units into their "extra vacations" where you have to rent the units that I believe were actual exchange units that owners deposited with RCI. My parents have been a member since the late '80s and just cancelled their membership this week. When my membership is up I will not renew and see what II has to offer.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Updated on 04/15/2019: I just finished a chat session with RCI and can’t believe their dishonesty, incompetence and lack of transparency that comes from this department/company. They sent us a statement of our points available for use, so I go online and notice that the numbers don’t match. I then made contact through online chat and after a long conversation finally find out that my points had been taken away as RCI doesn’t associate with my resort anymore and will no longer honour any points that came from that resort. All of the fees had been paid, both to the resort and to RCI. Be aware and deal with these people at your own risk. I am gone and would never consider any involvement with them again.

Original review: My wife and I have been RCI members for many many years and for the most part had good experiences with our bookings and dealings, that however has changed recently for sure. The fees continue to rise, the service continues to go down and the lack of resorts available has become more than frustrating. If you can’t find any available resorts to use, you can extend the use years of your points, or should I say for a fee you can extend the use year of your points.

Mind you extending the points only works if you can find a resort to stay at, otherwise it just becomes a cash grab by RCI to gain income for effectively nothing.

Then there is the issue of finally finding a resort to stay at, paying the booking, exchange fees, points, etc. Only to find at a later date that the resort you were going to is undergoing a renovation, a pool or hot tub closure, etc. Thus not the vacation you were expecting to be taking. So you try to cancel and save the vacation time, only to find there is a loss of the booking and exchange fees and also a loss of some level of your points (unless you pay a fee!) more money for what you already are entitled to. Is there no truth in booking with RCI anymore? Anyway I could go on and on, so I will end with. Be aware of what you are involving yourselves in before you start, it will save you money and stress.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

They told us a bunch of crap at the initial meeting. Showed pictures of beautiful places but when you search for places to stay they are total dumps. If you try to use your points every place is so overpriced pointwise that you always have to pay out of pocket. It such a scam. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Never have units available, always asking you to pay more for points you can't even use, 10k a year, it's a joke. It's normally over 30K to be able to reserve anything. It's such a waste of $$ and not able to use the timeshare, I book all my travel from Expedia or Booking.com, they still have way better prices than RCI. What a disappointment of a timeshare. All beware of their scam.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

After I purchased RCI Club365 I realized it was a program with many deficiencies. Obviously the salespeople made it seem like a marvel, however I will tell you the truth below. Once you log in, you have a series of website links you can visit. It turns out, these website links are available to the general public (so what is the point in purchasing a $2000 membership???). Long story short, you can simply go to these "benefit" links by typing them directly in your URL address bar. There is no need to log in, there is no need to be a member. You can simply purchase directly from these web pages without a membership. I am surprised RCI has created such an incomplete product meant to deceive its clients.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My husband and I have been on RCI for years. The last few years we’ve noticed less available properties, and properties that are restricted to the number of times you can stay there, such as once every 3-5 years. This was new in their program. We stayed at a location in the Myrtle Beach area in May of 2018. We did sign-up for the 60 minute sales pitch so that we could get the dollars off for a restaurant we wanted to visit. The pitch was extremely high-pressure, even though the first thing we told the rep was that we would not be buying. We just wanted the certificates.

We were honest up front. More than 2 hrs later we were told - after about a dozen “nos” from us, that if we didn’t buy into the Wyndham Vacations club at approximately $40,000 that we would never see the best or even the better properties on the RCI site, as Wyndham owned the site now and saved the better/best properties for their Wyndham RCI members. The Wyndham rep then insulted my husband and I. We immediately stood up and started to leave. I have never been treated that way before and if they had even the smallest chance of us coming to Wyndham, they lost it then, and as soon as our current membership with RCI is up we will not be renewing. Bad companies, bad customer service all around. And, the restaurant certificates were unusable unless you bought the maximum meal/dinner plan at the Restaurant. All around waste of a beautiful morning.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We were on a trade from RCI. The resort was OK. Not many amenities for our taste. Pools were small and shallow. Most of the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. What I can confirm, in reading other reviews, is that there is a high pressure sales component and the individual we had a meeting with, after over 2 hours (was supposed to be 90 minutes) was visibly upset we did not purchase their deal. I can confirm there was no contract presented, actually nothing on paper documenting what they promised and they PROMISED a lot. I asked for documentation or to review a contract but was refused. Ding, ding, ding - DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I am not happy with RCI but at least they are upfront with their fees and restrictions.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

As you may know, RCI launched Club365 in 2017. The actual club website is here: www.theclub365.com. You will pay around $2,000+ USD to purchase access into this club. After logging in, you will notice the scam I fell for. This website is simply a collection of website links. Links which you can access directly without even having to log in or purchase the program!!! Most people won't notice this immediately, because they are not computer savvy as I am.

Here is an example: When you click on PREFERRED STAYS, you will be redirected here: https://www.mywebrez.com/preferred. When you click on GETAWAY STAYS, you will be redirected here: https://www.mywebrez.com/getaway. Please try going to these links directly and you will see you can purchase directly on these links without having to buy Club365. As an outsider, you get the EXACT SAME benefits as a paying member. RCI is desperate for business and launched a website intended to defraud customers for a quick buck.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We stayed at Tahiti Village in Las Vegas. Attended what was to be a 90 minute seminar. We were lied to by the agent and her manager. First, we were told the timeshare was all up and down the California coast, it's not. Second we were made to believe that we were paying a 1 time payment upfront, not the case. Third we purchased 15K points for 1 year. Very slim pickings with just 15K points, maybe 1-2 properties. Most require 30K points. Lastly, the availability of the properties are horrible. Something I asked upfront because I was a 1000 Trails owner and ran into the same issue. We've had this membership for over a year now and continue to pay and have NEVER been able to use it. Save your money and take your trip yourself. DO NOT USE RCI.

RCI expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of Lisa Ann Schreier
    Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information