2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

Like most great companies, it all started with an idea. In 1974, Jon and Christel DeHaan set out to add greater value to the timeshare experience when they pioneered the vacation exchange concept. The DeHaans developed a system that allowed owners to exchange time at their home resort for a stay at a different affiliated property—delivering a new level of flexibility and choice to timeshare owners and revolutionizing an industry in the process.

Today, RCI remains the leader in vacation exchange, offering the world’s largest vacation exchange network and providing unrivaled products and services to enhance the vacation ownership experience. It’s one of the many reasons why more resorts trust RCI to deliver vacation exchange services to its subscribing members than any other company across the globe.

Through our core exchange programs, RCI Weeks®, RCI Points® , RCI helps its subscribing members take the vacations of their dreams and explore the world through access to over 4,300 affiliated resorts in 110 countries.* Members can also enjoy other great deals on rental opportunities, cruises and transportation, as well as a host of other travel and lifestyle benefits through the RCI Platinum® membership tier.

At RCI, we understand that no matter how busy life gets, you cherish the time you set aside each year to get away and create memories that will last a lifetime. We are so dedicated to delivering vacation memories that last a lifetime - Because your vacation means the world to us®.

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: April 26, 2021

UPDATED 4/27/2021: I need to know what unit number and the week for my timeshare. So I’m looking to possibly sell it so I need to sit formation for the company. I’m with Fantasea resort La Samana in Nj. They are requesting this for their records

ORIGINAL REVIEW: We purchased a RCI timeshare several years back. And I truly like to say after all these years we don’t use it as much as we thought; And very dissatisfied. We tried multiple times to try to get out of our Timeshare and RCI does not purchase it back. We are looking for a fair share of the timeshare, And we’re willing to negotiate pricing. So I’d like just to let people now I will not purchase any Timeshare with RCI. It’s not worth it, it’s expensive, he still had to pay to book a room. I think all the money that we spent, I think all timeshares should be included with that money. Very very dissatisfied. I just want someone to contact me so we can get rid of our timeshare. I willing to accept 80 to 90% less.

RCI response

Hi Lynne, I'm very sorry to hear of your frustration. It is important to note that RCI does not own or sell timeshares. We are simply a timeshare exchange company. Please email us at talktous@rci.com for more information. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: April 20, 2021

We booked through RCI for the first time for hotel accommodations and have been greatly disappointed. We booked for a family stay to support our sons during an out of state tournament. Unfortunately, the tournament was rescheduled at the beginning of the week due to statewide Covid restrictions. We promptly called to have the reservation moved to the following week. We were told that they could not and it was up to the hotel. So we called the hotel and they said it was acceptable and they saw no problem with it. The representative from the hotel said the agency (RCI) would just need to change the dates and the rep gave us his name in case we needed it.

Called RCI back and they stone walled and the story kept changing. Now the system would not allow them to change the dates. At this point we are just frustrated. We are out $369 and we weren't looking for a refund just change the dates. Especially in the time of economic hardships it is unimaginable that a company would not just work with loyal customers. Highly disappointed.

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2021

We have been RCI cruise and resorts members for several years. When the pandemic broke out I called RCI for a refund or an extension-being in Canada we are forbidden by our government to travel or cruise at this time. Basically I was given the runaround and after 3 hours of several calls when asking for MY money back that I had earned and worked for - was told if they gave me mine back - they’d have to give everybody their money back.

But it’s mine I said- for services rendered - too bad. I’m in Canada- my package costed way more due to the dollar-too bad. But I worked for it and can’t travel right now - too bad they said-circumstances beyond my control- too bad. What could they do for me? I could rebook they said for next year. So I’m struggling- the pandemic has broken out -I’m forbidden to travel and I’m asking for a refund and I’m told the only way they can help me is if I spend more money to prebook a holiday that who knows if I can ever use ! Thanks RCI. You guys really need to review your policies. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

RCI response

Hi Dawna, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 9, 2021

We purchased a vacation through RCI. We booked our trip last year, but then COVID hit and we pushed it back. When the later date loomed, COVID numbers were still too high and we were told that due to the pandemic we could reschedule without worrying about the trip expiring. We now get calls multiple times per week asking us to spend more money to book more trips. We were told that our package expired, BUT if we spend more, we'll get another trip on top of the one we already paid for. We were assured that because of the pandemic we could book our trip at a later time. They are not honoring that promise and continue to harass us for more money. We've also been hung up on twice when it becomes apparent that we have no intention of spending more money on their company without having experienced at least one vacation first.

RCI response

Hi Cassie, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with more info and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 9, 2021

Wow RCI. I have been with you for over 25 years. It was one thing to never be able to book what I wanted, when I wanted...but I continue to pay the maintenance fees and taxes. Now that the world is in a pandemic, I have twice had to pay hundreds of dollars just to move my saved up points to another month. (Charges go up month by month.) Be wary my friends - this is NOT a timeshare company I would recommend. So very disappointed in their customer service. They are quick to offer you the world when they want to sell you a timeshare, and then charge money during a pandemic?

RCI response

Hi, K., we're very sorry for the frustration. It is important to note that we don't own or sell timeshares. For questions about your ownership, maintenance fees and taxes, please contact your home resort. If we can assist with questions about our exchange program, please email us at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 5, 2021

RCI is into a business of stealing money from naive travelers. I booked a resort through them and I had a family emergency so I had to cancel my trip. They refused to refund my money for the portions of future unused days. They stole my $2K. The customer service agent (?christy/Christina) that I spoke was horrible, so unsympathetic and rude. She raised her voice multiple times while I was having a conversation with her! She was absolutely horrible and should not have that job with her temper! This a horrible company and I will never use them for my travel plans in the future!!!

RCI response

Hi Obse, we'd like the opportunity to look into this further. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 29, 2021

I have been with RCI for over a decade. We had to cancel our Florida vacation last March break due to covid and immediately extend our deposit by a year. A year later the Canadian border is still closed and we are unable to travel. My spouse is even under threat of termination if we do. Our deposit is expiring again as well as other future deposits so we have to either extend or combine again to keep them. RCI is offering no special rates or offers to do this and their agents (presumably under management direction) will not budge to help. REALLY disappointed in RCI.

RCI response

Hi Les, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 20, 2021

My husband and I did a trial timeshare with 30,000 points. We made a monthly payment for a year before being able to use our points. We spent about a thousand dollars. We booked a 4 night vacation that we had to cancel because of Covid. The company was good at helping us purchase insurance to be able to cancel and get all points back.They also extended our trial another year due to Covid. We also did get a refund on the booking fee. (Yes, there is an additional fee to use your points to book a vacation!)

When we were able to use our points again we booked a 2 night stay in Vegas. We wanted to add another night and had a hard time since that resort didn't allow check ins on a Thursday. We had to cancel that booking and search for a new stay. We had a hard time finding a hotel within our point limit that allowed the check in day we needed. We eventually found another resort and booked a 3 night stay in Vegas using most of our points. Hotel stay was nothing special and after we did the math we could have spent half of the full cost we paid for our trial timeshare using another travel site such as Priceline. And we also had to pay a Housekeeping fee because we didn't stay a full week! Which was over 100 dollars. Our points wouldn't allow us to stay a full week even if we wanted too!

We now have about 620 points leftover and the only option to use them is to get a reduced nightly hotel stay. So we pay more money to use our points! Again we can get about the same discounted rate for the hotel stay on other sites. I understand we can roll our points over to another year but we are not signing up for anything else with this company as we are not satisfied. We should have just put our money into a travel savings account. I'm also still waiting on a 30 dollar refund that wasn't used from the booking fee from the very first vacation we had to cancel.

Pros:
    Friendly, good customer service.

Easy to navigate website.

Cons:
    Not worth the money you pay.
    Extra Booking, Insurance and Housekeeping Fees.

Most resorts/hotels were not worth all the points they were listed as!

RCI response

Hi Christen, feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com if we can address your concerns. Be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 19, 2021

I booked a vacation with RCI Travel only to find out after purchasing my flight the location is on the US State Departments do not fly list for US Citizens. They never informed me of this. When I attempted to switch to a new location I was given the runaround placed on hold for more than 3 hours with no assistance. Then when I contacted RCI I learn they aren't even the same company. RCI Travel is a 3rd party that preys on customers who have RCI properties. This is unforgivable. At a time when Travel so limited they take advantage of innocent people.

RCI response

Hi A, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with additional information and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 17, 2021

Had to rebook reservation 3 times because of covid restrictions in my state. Every time was and increase in points and dollars then when I get to resort the booking clearly states maximum occupancy 4/4 private. There is one bed and one pull out couch. Nothing in the reservation states that privacy in 4 actually means privacy for two (2). Instant upcharge of 350$ for the week. Even though only 3 people went. Went round and round with two very incapable customer service reps and get absolutely nowhere. Would not recommend this company to ANYONE PERIOD.

RCI response

Hi Robert, I understand you're frustrated. As explained in my FB convo with you, a 1/4/4 unit means it is a one bedroom that has either a queen or king in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room with separate access to the bathroom for each couple. I do apologize for the confusion and hope future exchanges with us are more positive. Kind Regards, Kathleen M.

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information