2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

Like most great companies, it all started with an idea. In 1974, Jon and Christel DeHaan set out to add greater value to the timeshare experience when they pioneered the vacation exchange concept. The DeHaans developed a system that allowed owners to exchange time at their home resort for a stay at a different affiliated property—delivering a new level of flexibility and choice to timeshare owners and revolutionizing an industry in the process.

Today, RCI remains the leader in vacation exchange, offering the world’s largest vacation exchange network and providing unrivaled products and services to enhance the vacation ownership experience. It’s one of the many reasons why more resorts trust RCI to deliver vacation exchange services to its subscribing members than any other company across the globe.

Through our core exchange programs, RCI Weeks®, RCI Points® , RCI helps its subscribing members take the vacations of their dreams and explore the world through access to over 4,300 affiliated resorts in 110 countries.* Members can also enjoy other great deals on rental opportunities, cruises and transportation, as well as a host of other travel and lifestyle benefits through the RCI Platinum® membership tier.

At RCI, we understand that no matter how busy life gets, you cherish the time you set aside each year to get away and create memories that will last a lifetime. We are so dedicated to delivering vacation memories that last a lifetime - Because your vacation means the world to us®.

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I tried booking a holiday through RCI and it was the most horrifying experience. They will charge you a fee for everything. A fee for booking, a fee for extending, a fee for changing, a fee for cancelling and this is on top of other charges like room charges, cancellation charges etc. No end to the amount of money they try to take out of you. You can do much better by just booking directly with the hotel or resort.

RCI response

Hi Senthilkumar, we are sorry for your frustration. Please email us at talktous@rci.com if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Had a great business/pleasure trip to Vegas this weekend. Got caught up by a scammy salesman, but what the heck $200 to have a sketchy salesperson chew my ear off why not??? Anyway I spent 3 hours listening to the sales pitch, and walking around. Didn't mind its free food and coffee. They got so desperate that the "Manager" offered $194 down, and $11,000 total for the property. Nope???? Sorry worked in Real Estate before as a Assistant Property Manager and can't stand timeshares. They're a waste of money that only depreciate and are a flat out scam. I travel too much and have to deal with sketchy sales pitches all the time. Nothing new.

RCI response

Hi Joshua, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property, nor do we employ resort sales staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M, RCI Travel Guide

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Won't recommend anyone these **. They won't refund your reservation fees if visiting county close borders or change quarantine policy. They will try to rip you off more by selling insurance, other packages. Beware rip off.

RCI response

Hi Valentine, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

With all of the travel restrictions this last year to not come up with a policy to extend points and offer to everyone is crazy. We pay our annual fee and are not able to use the service should be considered for allowing extensions to all members. I will be recommending to property members to find a different choice for managing points as this company does not show it cares about its members.

RCI response

Hi Bryan, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Due to the worldwide pandemic, state and country lock downs, along with the recommendations of the CDC and state health authority, we are unable to safely travel. Fourteen-day quarantines are mandatory whether you are travelling to or returning from so called vacations; let alone restaurants and local attractions, among other things, are all closed. We were shocked to learn RCI will not and could not extend our expiring credits. We understand covid came upon all of us rapidly and has been deadly for many. Because of that, many reputable companies have changed their policies to accommodate their patrons, RCI is not one of them.

After calls to RCI asking for any help with our credits, we were offered travel options only. Since 2020 was my first year of retirement, we were looking forward to vacationing. I was finally transferred to a supervisor who offered a bonus week for an additional $249.00!!! We have paid a lot of money for the expiring points, why would I buy additional points? Again, they refused to extend the expiration date for what we’ve already paid. RCI chooses to ignore all travel and health restrictions, opting instead for bad policy and extremely poor customer service. We will never recommend RCI to anyone and instead tell everyone to run away as far and as fast as they can.

RCI response

Hi Colleen, were sorry to hear this and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

My fiance and I were set to get married on the 9th of January but we now have to cancel everything because no gatherings are allowed as per the presidents speech. Added to that both my fiancé and I are Healthcare workers so we have been called back to work due to this crisis that south africa is facing. The problem is that we have booked part of our honeymoon holiday at Riviera suites in Cape Town through RCI which was booked from the 15th to the 22nd of January 2021. We now have to cancel this as we had to call off the wedding and also return to work but they are refusing to change our booking dates or give us a refund as we have less than 21 days until our booking date. We don't mind rebooking with them.. They can keep the money as long as they able to rebook us but they simply refuse and are unwilling to change anything for us. They are being completely unreasonable considering that we are in the middle of a pandemic..

If their family members were admitted at our hospital would they like us to leave them to die and come on this holiday so that we don't lose out??? This is ridiculous. This is the thanks we get for risking our lives and staying to save other people's lives during a pandemic. Such pathetic service yet they were so quick to take our money.

RCI response

Hi Celestine, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I have been an RCI member since 2009, owning multiple properties that are managed by them. I have had my issues with them, but lack of empathy due to the loss of travel from COVID-19/Corona Virus has to be a new low for RCI. Where many members are unable to leave their states/countries to travel due to restrictions, it is shameful that this company is more concerned about earning money than the welfare of their customers. I understand resorts/hotels are open, because their livelihood depends on it, but if customers are unable to leave their room/resort due to restrictions, it doesn't really make sense to travel. Now, when RCI can easily just push a button to extend the points, which don't cost them anything, they choose, instead, to increase prices/fees to extend or combine deposits is not just shameful but disgraceful. They should be ashamed of themselves for not making an exception like so many other hotel reward programs are doing.

These are not normal times, so RCI should not enforce normal policies. Why should the customer be penalized when it's no one's fault and it's a worldwide pandemic! RCI has made enough money on the backs of their customers, to grant a multi-year extension without any fees, in order to ensure their customer is satisfied and continues to book and provide them revenue. Note: they have forced their customer reps to ensure that no exceptions can be made and when asking for a manager, they put you on a indefinite hold. If you are lucky to get to management, they are iterating the same, that NOTHING can be done.

RCI response

Hi Shakeel, we're sorry to hear of your frustration. As a serviced based company, we cannot waive the fees on all of our services in order to maintain operations. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with additional questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I am so disappointed with RCI that claims to be a family friendly company that does not recognize that because of Covid, families are not being to travel without putting their loved ones in jeopardy. The CDC has closed down states and activities. Yet RCI will not work with us to rebook next year when things should be better. Sad that this company puts money over people's welfare. I guess this goes along with Covid, 2021 the year that showed people and companies' true colors. It’s not how you treat a person when times are good. It is when things are difficult. As I see it RCI is showing myself and others how they feel about us as customers.

RCI response

Hi Kim, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

We had a weeks timeshare and went to a presentation that said they were working with RCI and we could purchase another one and use the points for Airfare, Cruises, Hotels and other travel. IT WAS ALL A LIE! You can't. I've contacted RCI and they've told me just take my timeshare away from RCI and just go the week I paid for at the resort. I've tried contacting the resort and no one will get back to me. (It's been awhile) Then I get a phone call telling me I can visit another resort and they will explain how to use RCI for travel. I show up....A SET UP! They told me what I purchased was worthless and that if I purchased THEIR timeshare it would give me more leverage.

I stormed out, left the resort and will never listen to anyone. If wasn't for the fact that I have an impeccable credit rating, I would let it foreclose. I guess that is what they plan on. NOW ABOUT THE PANDEMIC. I cannot believe in a year that we are NOT able to travel that they are not automatically extending our points/week FOR EVERYONE! The fees are unbelievable to extend. SHAME ON YOU RCI!!

RCI response

Hi Laura, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced. RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time/points with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property/points. However, RCI partners with affiliated resorts to ensure they are up-to-date on our policies and procedures. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I am a Sapphire member and had booked thru RCI for our family vacation this December 6-11 in San Diego, California. 2 days before the said date city of California issued a “stay home order“ for 3weeks or so, meaning nobody can travel to there state or if we will just be quarantined for 14 days in our hotel. We called them a week before the date of our vacation to cancel based on what we heard in the news about California that it’s not safe to go, but RCI said we cannot cancel anymore since policy is only within 24hrs from booking.

So, we planned to continue the vacation, but 2 days before the supposed date a ”stay home order was issued“. So meaning the cancellation of our vacation was BEYOND our control. We emailed and called RCI for a full refund, after several conversation we talked to supervisor Rey from he said he was from Indianapolis. Supervisor Rey you can feel on the conversation doesn’t care to hear your problem, he is just there to point out “that’s the policy“ that he cannot refund it regardless the reason is beyond any human beings control. He doesn’t care about the current situation because he just said he will just extend the booking time till June but NO money will be returned.

We asked him, "Do you know when is pandemic will end" and he said No. So we asked him then "Why are you predicting we can do vacation on the extended months you have us since you don’t want to give us the full refund." He just said that’s the policy. RCI is a greedy company. No sympathy with their customers. We have all the right to get our full refund since the cancellation happened because of the pandemic which is BEYOND our control. All the reviews are TrUE, this company is scamming people once they get the hard-earned money they will treat you as trash. We will never book on this Company next time and we will spread the word. Karma will hit you.

RCI response

Hi Marivic, we have responded to your email. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information