1.2/5 (58 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: May 9, 2022

The deals that they negotiate with places for vacation are bad for us. I can get a better deal if I go directly to a vacation place online or on a phone that using my week from the time share. Save money don’t use RCI.

RCI response

Hi Gustavo, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 20, 2022

We have been a member of RCI since 2000. We planned and booked a trip in 2020 but unfortunately were not allowed to travel due the pandemic. This resulted in us losing over $1,000.00 with RCI. We spoke to many Customer Representatives and they were not helpful, empathic, supportive and would not refund us our money back. This is very frustrating and unfair as the borders were closed and we were not permitted to travel.

RCI response

Hi Brenda, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Purchased a cruise certificate a couple years ago and paid on it monthly. We are finally able to book this cruise since covid is lifted. Found out the payments did not go to the cruise only to a "membership" that gives you access to vacations and cruises. I could not get anyone to answer the phone! Finally got some help through Norwegian who they booked the cruise through. I guess they saw Norwegian calling and answered! A small deposit of the $4,000 was put down on the cruise. It was misrepresented. Furthermore RCI says they are not the same company as RCI travel packages. I don't buy it! Why does their paperwork say under contract with RCI, LLC. ? Shame on you! And Norwegian as well for doing business with you! All in it together! Especially the owners of RCI!

RCI response

Hi Pamela, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 12, 2022

I knew RCI was sketchy, for starters after they gave their pitch to sell a $15,000 - $71,000 vacation package. I asked them to see the "Terms and Conditions," contract. They declined to provide this valuable information. Secondly, I asked for "Reviews," I wasn't surprised they didn't provide that valuable information either. I pulled out my phone to search Google for Reviews and was reminded no cellphones could be used during there 2 hr presentation. Truth is doing a quick little research on your phone could kill the deal. RCI goal is to get you to seal the deal. The Salesmen was very pushy and offered a lot for "Free," to get my signature on a contract. But I knew he was selling my family empty promises.

What really stood out to me was the fact they were writing on a blank piece of paper how the whole process works. I had simple yet tough questions he wasn't prepared to answer. Anyhow, after I declined to sign up for the vacation package with RCI about 5 min before my 2 hr presentation was up the general manager came to our table and offered us to buy someone else's contract. The deal was 25 pts for 10 years for $4,900 and 6 months to make a decision. So, funny because the salesman said I had to decide that day to lock in the deals. What a joke! Advice - I strongly recommend anyone to keep calm, do their research and take time to make a sound decision you are well informed on after the presentation.

RCI response

Hi Ro, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property/points; nor do we employ resort sales staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 7, 2022

I was talked into purchasing a resort and cruise package back in 2017 for our 25th wedding anniversary. Booked a resort in Austria and Mediterranean cruise leaving from Civitavecchia, Italy for Sept 2020. The pandemic hit - I was able to cancel the resort booking in Austria and rebook a US resort for July 2021 (thinking that we Canadians would be able to travel to the US by the next summer). If I had canceled the cruise - I would have lost that certificate. I had to wait until August 2020 when we got word that the cruise was canceled due to covid. I was then able to rebook the cruise for September 2022. As for the resort in Vermont - we were not able to go because the Canada/US Border was closed to travelers by car. The RCI rep told me that I can still go if I fly - right! 5 airline tickets and having to rent a car to get to the resort was out of our budget and navigation abilities!!! I called to see what could be done.

They kept saying they were working on a solution and to CALL them BACK - they never called me. I had to be on hold for over an hour each time I called to get an update. The final answer came months after July 2021 - with much frustration. They could do nothing - we lost our Resort Certificate. Pandemic or not - what seemed like a great opportunity to travel turned into a long continuous nightmare. The stress was/is not worth it! We will see how the cruise goes - still have to book hotels and flights in order to make it work. Another nightmare coming up...

RCI response

Hi Katherine, we'd like the opportunity to look into this with our cruise department. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 20, 2022

I was able to re-book the cruise. Thank you Kathleen M. of RCI Customer Care. Mr. Constantino ** was super nice and very knowledgeable. A good company, however, should not wait for a complaint to be published publicly before resolving an issue. With all the headaches I had to go through to have this issue resolve, I wouldn't recommend this company.

Original review: April 7, 2022

I received a call for a travel package offer consisting of a cruise cert for 4, a resort cert and a cash certficate up to $700 & a free travel luggage for $4000.00. (The name of the sales agent was Colleen) When I tried to claim the travel luggage, I was not qualified because it can not be shipped to Hawaii. They will say that the resort certificate is good anywhere but actually it is more for Mexico. I booked my cruise but got cancelled due to covid. They reinstated the cruise certificate but now the resort certificate has expired and there's no way to redeem it. I rebooked my cruise but again cruiseline offered a free cancellation due to covid restrictions.

I talked to RCI agent and was told I can cancel and rebook once my certificate is re-instated. I called several times to re-book and was told my certificate has not been re-instated yet. I asked my request to be escalated only to find out that certificate can not be re-instated because it has expired. The manager who talked to me said when a cruise is cancelled, certificate is reversed back to its original status. Since my certificate has expired and was only extended due to covid, it can not be extended again. Something that the agent who helped me was not aware of. Their agents give wrong information and it is the customer's loss for believing them. If you want a cruise, deal with the cruise line directly. It is cheaper and less headache. This company will find every loophole to free themselves of their obligations.

RCI response

Hi Delia, we'd like the opportunity to look into this with our cruise department. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 15, 2022

I was woefully disappointed in my experience with RCI in their inadequate offering of trips coupled with the nested fees structure of their business model. Their pitch at Covid was misleading and I wasted another $199.

RCI response

Hi Jack, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with additional information including your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 4, 2022

Dear individuals who work for RCI, STOP YELLING EVERYBODY WHO BOOKS A WEEK AT WILLOW VALLEY THEY ARE IN A CABIN WHEN THEY ARE NOT!!!! If the reservation does not say the word CABIN on it, it is not a cabin. We have 15. We are tired of getting yelled at when people check in.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I bought a cruise package Jan 25 2019 for my daughter and son-in-law wedding present. For two years I’ve tried to either get it refunded or rebooked. You talk to one department who transfers you to another department to another person and on phone and hold for hours to find out they can’t help you or of course they need more money now. These people are nothing but a scam! Will not ever again deal with RCI! Will go completely direct to the cruise line from now on and people it’s cheaper also! Rci screws you over. Don’t use them!

RCI response

Hi Norma, we'd like the opportunity to look into your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

This is a joke, I just tried for 3 hrs to get a place from April to September, either 1 day available or not until December and I tried 6 different resorts. Save your money and aggravation and DON T JOIN THIS GREEDY, USELESS COMPANY. WHAT A SCAM

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Advisor

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information