RCI

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been with RCI approx 12yrs. My previous issues have been the fact that they charge for unused points... Live and learn. My complaint is that I had to cancel a reservation. It's unfortunate but situations do arise and plans have to get changed. I cancelled 5-days prior to my check-in date. RCI WILL NEITHER REFUND NOR CREDIT my charge of $99.00! They say they have a 24-hour 'grace period'. I feel this is a major RIP-OFF to consumers and extremely bad business practice. I have contacted them by email, customer service and 'blabbering' supervisor. I was told "they have to keep the lights on" in order to provide their service. Well, RCI, my lights need to be on as well!! BUYER BEWARE.

We see no reason to sign up for RCI except to give the company money. We are new members who tried to use RCI for the first time. We wanted to visit El Dorado Suites, Riviera Maya, using our exchange. Through RCI, we have to pay a $399 fee for a mandatory 7-day visit. RCI requires we also pay a $2500 "Mandatory all inclusive" fee for the El Dorado. So that's the cost of our RCI membership, plus a $399 fee, plus a $2500 all-inclusive fee. Curious, we logged into El Dorado's home page and found we could sign up for the exact same vacation, not using RCI, for a total cost of $2200, also all-inclusive. So the all-inclusive fee alone is more than the actual cost of staying at the El Dorado Suites, without having ever met an RCI salesperson.

I've been a member of RCI for 7 years. And got sucked into changing weeks to points. Let me tell you. You pay for the right to use a room for a resort for a week. And with points, you have better options. And with a Platinum membership, it gets a lot better. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! The most unfortunate part of deciding whether you are getting a timeshare or not, is while you are on vacation. You're in good spirits. You're enjoying your vacation, and want more time. In comes the timeshare rep, and makes it sound like a wonderful investment. It affords you the ability to vaca in nice unit. You're planning to go in a vacation at least once a year, so why not do it in style? If the person reading this has already bought a timeshare, ugh! Sorry. Welcome to the club of regret. If you are still considering, let me tell you why you don't want to get trapped, and I mean that, trapped in this timeshare web.

1st expense: you purchase the right to own your week in a resort. Whether it be sold as weeks, or points. Ranges from 5,000 to whatever amount, depending on your resort. They offer different options of payment, so it's having an amortization. Think of dividing into the number of years you will vacation, then put that on paper. 2nd expense: maintenance. I pay freaking $360/year for stupid maintenance of a property that I am a supposed owner in. I'm not sure what other people pay, but it becomes a bill on a yearly basis, that if you decide to not go on vacation, you are still required to pay. 3rd expense: of course, you bought the right to use a room for a week, or in some cases, use the points for days use. Now, how are you going to use this right, or exchange your right for someone else's right in another location, anywhere around the world? You need a platform to do this.

RCI. They are the gateway to this marvelous choices of resorts. And to be to use them, you need to be a member. And guess what? It'll cost you $125/year. Also, a bill requirement in a yearly basis that never goes away. You miss a year, you want to be back? You need to pay both years. There is no escape. You want better benefits? An additional year of points not expiring? Get a platinum membership. It'll cost you an additional $69. Just in case you didn't know, your right or your week expires every year. If you want to extend it because you are not going on vacation this year, that's another additional cost. Last time I did it which was years ago, I remember vaguely it cost me $40. The next year, I did not use it so not only did I not get a vacation, I lost money along the way.

4th expense: oh yes, there's more. So you think you actually paid for your right, and now you're going to book a place, say in Paris. It's going to cost $260 to book that lovely place. Mind you, it isn't even in the area where you would like to stay. The quality of RCI's resort directory are not consistent. You can read reviews in some location, and it's rather similar in terms of being old, antiquated and unclean. I got so upset recently with RCI that I sent a not so happy message on their choices of hotels in any area. Plus, how the limited supply of resorts available have bad reviews. Who does the quality control? In this age of Groupons, AirBnbs, Home Aways, Living Socials, plus Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc., timeshares don't make any sense. So, if you did write down your expenses from start to finish, do you think it makes sense? I hope I can save someone else from doing a mistake I did a long time ago.

"Join in the Festivities and Celebrate Vacation Village Resorts' Anniversary with a Complimentary Vacation! OFFER EXTENDED. It's not too late to join the party, take advantage of this opportunity to celebrate Vacation Village Resorts' 35 year anniversary before it's over! As part of the celebration, RCIĀ® subscribing members can receive a complimentary one week stay by simply booking your next vacation into select Vacation Village Resorts and paying a $149USD internal exchange fee with no Points required.* Act Fast! Must book by 4.30.17 with travel dates through 2.28.18."

Received the above e-mail from RCI, called to book a week at Vacation Village at Parkway in Florida; I was informed that the cost would be $218.00 Canadian flat fee instead of being $189.00 which was the conversion of $149.00usd to Canadian dollars. I questioned the mark up of $28 dollars and was informed that they don't have the capability of converting usd to cad in a daily basis and that it would be too costly to do so and that they also have to charge GST since it is a promotion. I stated that if the offer for Canadians is totally different from the US clients, RCI should be sending their e-mail offers stating exactly how it would impact Canadians. Of course the representative became more agitated and unable to give a proper answer.

On investigating found out that their explanation had no merit; the mere fact that when you book a vacation they know exactly what the usd to cad exchange is and you are charged the daily exchange. RCI is misrepresenting their company and misleading their clients and getting away with added fees. I cancelled my vacation and will review my association with RCI.

I have been an RCI member for a long time now. Not only do they fee you to death, there are fees for everything, the value of the points is ridiculous, and it seems, I can never use them for what I want to use them for. This last time (and not the first time I have had issue, just the first time I decided to complain), I attempted to use some of my annual 80,000 points for car rental. Well, it seems there is a "glitch" in their system that doesn't show my points. The rep acknowledged that they know I have points, but I cannot use them right now, but she will be glad to book my rental for cash, and RCI will reimburse when the "glitch" is repaired and show my points. Of course, I told her that was not going to happen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Someone call an IT professional for this company! Good luck with their website. Every time I look for something on their site it tells me they are having technical difficulties and I can't get in. But the icing on the cake is when you do want to book something you will find it unavailable. Get ready to find only lint in your pockets because this company will clean out your pockets with all their fees! It only works well if you pick a (non) all inclusive, go last minute and you don't mind staying in a dump. So what I am saying is they definitely know how to ruin a vacation. I can always find a vacation cheaper on websites like cheapcarribean.com. RCI members get put in the dumpiest rooms which are not easily accessible to amenities.

Beware of Gold Crowns! Hahahaha definitely not top of the line resorts. Very marginal at best. I have been a points owner for several years and I have had nothing but poor customer service, poor resort choices, unbelievable fees and complete headaches from trying to use the website. Beware, beware, beware! RCI should be put out of business. They are extortionists in the most extreme form. They are masters at lying. I'm still sitting on a bunch of free stays that I can't use because of one reason or another. They offered me free extra weeks and free cruises with my original purchase. Still can't find a way to use those. One big joke but unfortunately the joke was on me. Wish we could sue them for all their lies!

We recently stayed at an RCI timeshare with family and friends. We signed up for a three bedroom unit that sleeps 10 (8 privately). One of the bedrooms was large enough to fit a family of four. That is what was advertised. What we received was two units joined (which we didn't have a problem with) but they slept 6 privately. One unit had a queen size bed and a pull out couch and the other unit had a king bed with a pull out couch and a room upstairs. But the room upstairs had two twin beds. It was a kids room. It was the size of a small attic. We brought this to the attention of the hotel front desk, but we were told this was an issue with RCI and that the hotel was completely booked. My family member is the one who has the timeshare. I do not feel we received what was advertised and they should get points back. I will never stay at an RCI timeshare again.

I want out of my RCI timeshare. I think they should be shut down. They are a bait & switch business. Please any know of a way to get out without ruining your credit. I wish I had read these reviews 4 years ago when I bought into this timeshare which I have never been able to use. I received a call last week from their RCI travel packages offering me 2 cruise and another resort stay. I went over in full detail that I wanted the 2 cruises to be Hawaii at the same time for my husband and I and another couple. The supposedly manager was even helping me price it out per couple. He told me I could gift the second certificate to my friends. My husband was on the other line and ask if there was anymore charges the manager told us no. I was told to call back the next day and they would get me set up with booking.

I called back and talked to booking. I was told I COULD NOT do this. I could not use the certificates for 2 Hawaii cruises without paying $561 per person upgrade fee. I was so angry. We had already given our credit card and they charged it. I made my mind up. They were not going to get away with this. They told me in the beginning our conversation was recorded. I called the sales girl that called me the first day. She assured me she would get this fixed. The manager we spoke with the first day was on vacation so we ended up with another one who told us he would fix it. I kept saying our conversation was recorded, go back and review it. The first girl even admitted to me yes I was correct. We were told we could use the both certificates at no extra cost for Hawaii.

Then they sent me to a customer service manager who finally reviewed the recorded conversation and told yes I was correct. I was told I could do what I want to do as far as the 2 certificates and Hawaii. She went as far as saying she had highlighted all the things we were told and she was going to try and make them honor this. I also received another call from another man supervisor who told me he was a high level supervisor and he would get the bottom of this and make sure I would get what I was promised. I really thought he was going to do something.

It was about an hour later I received a call from yet another customer service manager who very rudely proceeded to inform me that she had refunded our money back on our card because they had reviewed the call and we were over-promised something they could not give us. I said, "No. I want what I was promised." She said no again and I said, "So I get nothing for all the time I wasted on the phone." She informed me that my money would be back on my card in 7 to 10 days. I was lied to by approximately 5 people who kept saying, "We know how you feel and we are going to make this right". I hope my money is back on my card as she said it would. Would have loved to had what I was promised but again this is so typical of RCI. I should have known better.

Can't get any response via e-mail after multiple attempts. I have tried three times to contact customer service to have a simple question answered. All that I have received in response is the automated response indicating that they have received my email. I have checked my spam folder to make sure it isn't getting re-directed. We have had very mixed results with RCI on other issues, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Vacation Village at Bonaventure - We gave them 2 hours of our time. They wouldn't take no for an answer. Juan understood we weren't buying RCI but the pit bull lady wasn't letting it go. Only when my husband finally said we're done and told them they needed to honor their part by giving us our so called gift for sitting through their presentation did we finally get out. Very, very, very pushy and very rude. Never again.

Our first experience was not bad. Not good by any means, but not bad. They pretended to be helpful, and to care but were quick to point out that everything that we were told when we were sold our timeshare was a lie. Shocking. Even our contract, which we read, was not valid. Because NOWHERE in our contract did it even mention that we would be required to pay RCI annually in order to even use our timeshare. Awesome huh?

Fast forward a year. The worst thing you can possibly try to do with RCI is "trade" your week (if you are on the week system) or exchange your points. Be prepared to PAY, PAY, PAY. There is a fee for absolutely everything. There is a fee to call (if you book), there is a fee to exchange, there is a fee to upgrade, there is a fee to downgrade. Honestly, if you can imagine it, there is a fee. Keep in mind, these are all in addition to the annual fee that you have to pay to RCI just for kicks. And NEVER let your "membership" with RCI expire because there is apparently NO WAY to reinstate your membership. You would think there would just be another exorbitant fee, but no, you just can never be an RCI member ever again. Aww, boo! Now we get to have the fun experience of selling our timeshare because we can do nothing with it.

So, in short, I have no idea how anyone has ever had a positive experience. I honestly have to guess that those few positive reviews must be posted by RCI employees. I do not know anyone who has had a positive experience. All the other timeshare owners I have talked with (in person and online) have nothing good to say about RCI. Too bad. I hope that RCI takes an interest in all these negative reviews and potential future consumers pay attention and are warned.

The best way to book - Call with your vacation number (if possible). I usually don't! Know what and where you want to go. You have to call at least 3 months out, 6 is better. But I have called in two weeks out. Your dues have to be paid and your maintenance fees before your booking date. I usually pay them at the same time I'm making my reservation. I hated this company until I learned how to use it!

When you call go through your home base, that is where you own, not where you bought! Do your homework and it will work. We stayed in Florida close to Disneyworld for a week and it cost $100 fee and $25.00 cleaning fee. I got the $100. Back the day I left in cash. The week cost $25.00 for two condos connected! So stop bitching and do your homework. You can always cancel. Four days in Vegas for 7,000 points, That's almost free! I hated this company the first few years.

We are RCI vacation club members but have not used the club points yet. I tried to login to my account and could not login so I call customer service for help. I was told that my membership was canceled as of June 2013. I said how could that be because we were never notified of when the fee was due. They said they notified me via email several times. I asked for verification of the email address which does match my current email. I asked if they called or sent a letter, no they only use email. Notifying only via email is very unreliable. People do change email addresses from time to time. If in fact they did notify me via email I never received them. You would think they would send a letter or call. We also belong to Interval International and have never missed our dues because they send a bill once a year.

I know many people are not happy with their membership, RCI charges so many fees. When you transfer your points that are expiring from Wyndham to RCI there is a fee. If your membership allows less or more than 7 nights you pay a housekeeping fee. When you arrive at the resort, you pay an exchange fee, a protection fee that they don't mention to you, they just bundle at the end, and if you are allowing a guest or your son who is not on the deed, you pay a guest fee. If you book an all-inclusive resort YOU CAN NOT use your points towards it, you will be paying those nightly or weekly fees to the resort, and all-inclusive ONLY includes meals and drinks, it does not include your flight. Oh and if you make the reservation by phone there is an extra fee. It's cheaper booking online, I am not 100% if that has been changed but as of Dec. 2016 you paid $10 more when booking through the phone. As you see, there are fees for everything.

We found these scammers on Craigslist, offering a one night hotel stay with a bottle of wine, chocolates (from the Dollar Tree!) and a rose for attending a seminar. We have done these before so we knew what we walking into. (Just wanted the free gift.) Upon arrival we were asked if we could come back in the morning as there was probably a two-hour wait (because people weren't buying fast enough). Turns out it was less than a ten-minute wait. The first hour was entertaining as we just messed with the guy, but as the second hour commenced and all he could talk about was himself it got less and less fun. He kept referring to "points". As in we'd need 149000 points for such and such a stay. Then he'd look at us like we should be really impressed!! Wtf. We had no idea what a point was worth... he never did give us any actual dollar amounts.

He couldn't find any states on a map. He had no idea what was inside his sales booklet. He literally talked about himself and his "accomplishments" for 90% of the seminar. I had read reviews on this place so I knew they weren't any good and the reviews were accurate. As soon as he realized we weren't biting (it took over two hours for him to come to this decision) he turned into a jerk and "excused" us. He did give us a tour of the "resort" they wanted us to buy into. He kept telling us we'd see they were million dollar homes... they were not! More like $120,000 homes, if that. Ceilings were coming detached from walls. Inside of closet entire was cracked and falling apart. This place is a joke. A huge scam. Stay away! Unless like us, you have nothing better to do but screw with timeshare salesmen for free gifts! ;) Absolutely ridiculous!

Used our timeshare at Grandview at Las Vegas last week to find in addition to being charged an increased exchange fee, the RCI magazine (their advertising vessel), an upgrade in membership to get access to wider inventory, fee for non-owners to use the unit and a charge for not using points last year, they tacked on a charge for internet and room safe that we did not use. They truly seem to be nickel and diming us without any restrictions. This one-week of vacation that costs significantly on the onset now costs much more than can be gotten without being an owner. Where did the advantage go? The whole premise stinks.

Spoke to Tracy in customer service. She is a "supervisor". She did not listen to anything I was saying but kept interrupting me in mid sentence. I guess she decided to get on the offensive before I could explain my problem with RCI. All Tracy did was get me on the defensive, I guess she is trained not to answer any questions. I eventually got tired of being interrupted and hanged up.

Flexibility is the key to successfully using RCI. If you want a specific place at a specific time you will likely be disappointed. If you are flexible it can work well. I have two weeks not points. I own at a specific resort in the Bluegreen system. I have flex time. I call 12 months in advance and pick a week. RCI has a calculator that shows me the value of each week so I get a week that has the most value. Originally you did not see properties more valuable than yours. RCI changed and assigns a value. You can for a fee combine points to get better and if the exchange is less you get to keep the excess points. I have been to Galveston, Santa Fe, Hawaii, Spain, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Carolinas, Utah, Sedona.

This place is literally filled by maggots of the Earth. I hope that anyone prior to buying into the vast amount of lies that everyone at this place spews reviews this. NOT only is the free cruise that is suppose to come whether you sign up or not FILLED with loads of excess fees which everyone in that place knows of and hides away from but their point system, availability, and fees for worldwide reservations far surpass the actual cost of the reservation from the direct resort/hotel. Me and my husband thankfully but still arrogantly signed up for a 1 year package at about $1K and we have both wiped our ** with it.

Anyone who works there should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of individuals looking to travel more and straight up LIE about this program. They have all inclusive resorts that range in points from 7,500 - 60,000 but they are going to sell you on the 7500 one and not show you that the resort fee will range from $120 - $ 750/ PER DAY PER PERSON!!!

We have been blessed in our ability to travel over the years and thought this was a great offer and very flexible. DO NOT BE FOOLED... from the fake faced, plastic surgery beast that presents on how she survived Jersey to the manager who acts like he wants to recruit you for a job and SAVE from a mistake these people are SCUM!!! They only travel because they take advantage and reap the commission off of feeding you lies. You are absolutely disgusting and the resorts they work with know it.

Give them a call - they know this program is so shady that when you call and ask the manager about why your membership is more expensive than having just booked directly with them they explain "how many people have fallen for that scheme." We want to know why everyone is so angry and there is a lack of trust in this society. It's because people who work for companies take your dreams, rap them in toilet paper, and flush it.

We had the unfortunate experience of taking a room at Vacation Village in Weston Florida. The room was offered by the Florida Visitor's Center and Royal Seas cruises, and was basically given to us for the cost of the room taxes only, provided we listened to a Timeshare presentation from them. This all came to us by phone after committing to a cruise on Royal Seas. The allure of the room and our boarding passes being given to us at the presentation was enough to make us commit to the presentation.

I have never been submitted to a more intense, intimidating, and outright bullying presentation in my life. I come from a lifelong career in sales and sales management and know a predatory presentation when I hear one. This was absolutely disgusting and very scheming. We were shown around the property for nearly two hours and then taken back to the sell center after demanding the rep take us there so we can get through the financials and get out of there. He was so ignorant of our time constraints. When we finally got back to the sales center, the costs were given to us. The costs started out at over $28,000, plus $700 for maintenance, plus taxes, for a one week timeshare at Vacation Village in Weston, in a condo we were told sold for $1.5M. No proof of this sales cost estimate was given. We immediately turned it down and asked for our boarding passes so we could get on our way.

We were turned over to an even higher pressure individual who found an amazing bargain for three different packages of three weeks each, at an Atlantic timeshare resort operated by Vacation Village, for an amazing $12,000 each, plus $1400 total for maintenance, plus taxes. Again we said no. They did not stop. They pushed and pushed beyond belief to get us to sign for one of the three, or why wouldn't we buy all three. We constantly told them timeshares, based on our lifestyle, time of life, and other residential property interests, was not for us. Give us our boarding passes and we will be on our way. We were now passed on to an even more intense, last gasp sales specialist, who came up with three weeks on the Atlantic coast for $5999, plus $199 maintenance. How could we refuse. We did and now demanded to get out of there and away from the scum that they are.

He finally, reluctantly relented and sent us to another desk where our "vouchers" for the cruise were given to us. We felt absolutely disgusted by this presentation and felt it is nothing more than predatory selling practices of the highest degree. Particularly considering when we arrived at the cruise departure port of West Palm Beach, we were never asked for the voucher from RCI as we were already confirmed in our dealings directly with Royal Seas cruises. Other than getting a room for minimum price from another marketing company, Royal Seas had nothing to do with the timeshare presentation and in no way was our boarding of the cruise dependent upon us attending a timeshare presentation. I will never again frequent a property, owned, managed, or affiliated with either Vacation Village, or RCI. Their sales practices are despicable to say the least.

I have experienced almost everything so many other people are experiencing. I am still paying for membership and loan payment but have not yet reserved a vacation. I am so frustrated and so angry that I didn't review sites like this before suckered into this scam. Please Please Please... I hope to get together and STOP this company from doing this to other people and at least get our money back by hiring a law firm as a group. Let's stand up for our loss.

When I checked into the Hard Rock Hotel in Cancun, Mexico RCI did not tell me that there would be an additional all inclusive fees of $5000.00. There was only me and my daughter who is 11 and they would not check me in until I paid the $5000.00 all inclusive fees. I do not know where that came up with that figure. I would have booked Sunwing if I had known that I needed to pay an additional $5000.00. I had to then spend another few hours to find another resort that was not an all inclusive resort which meant I had to spend another $1400.00 for a another resort. When we flew we also did not fly direct to Cancun. We flew through Phoenix, which Sunwing flies direct. Do not book an all inclusive with RCI. They do not tell you that there additional fees. I found that very unprofessional. They are scam artists. This really put a damper on my vacation and was not a good start to my vacation.

My wife and I are long time owners of timeshares and deal with RCI. We have one reoccurring problem when depositing our week every year. There are 6 windows of trading power at time of deposit. 14 days 45.0%, 15-30 days 60.0%, 31-90 days 80.0%, 91-180 days 90.0%, 81-270 days 95.0%, 271+ days 100.0%. We always deposit in the last 2 categories 95 to 100%. Deposit trading power at the highest is 40 then they deduct for the time you deposit the week. Adjustments are made for type of unit you have, the week you own, how many bedrooms, etc. Our timeshares that we own are all 2 bedroom Gold Crowns that have great value, but we have never received more than 28 trading value at the time of deposit.

This year we are in the 270+ window and only received 21 trading power. It seems to be getting worse every year. Is anyone else having this problem? Other than this we have been able to use their system to our advantage and I am thinking they might be giving us less because they see we take advantage of the sales they have. I would like to know if anyone out there is getting the max trading power?

In Sept 2013 I purchased a foreclosed timeshare from TLC - San Diego. In the transaction I paid $373 towards RCI fees in Oct 2013. The sales agent informed me that it was RCI 39600 Points per year and I could use my points each year or save them and use up to 3 years of points at a time. Lie. Then I was told that the RCI Platinum membership was only $99 per year thereafter. Lie. I should have had at least 3 years of RCI for $373 at $99 per year. I was told that if I didn't use my RCI points for the year, I didn't need to pay the RCI membership. Lie.

I have yet to use my RCI points or membership since the membership fees I paid at purchase. Which was another issue as I had purchased my timeshare in Sept 2013, they lost the paperwork and didn't activate my timeshare until May 2014. Yet, the paid RCI year started in March 2014, not May 2014. So, my paid RCI Platinum membership expired March 2015, instead of May 2015 or based on $373 at $99 membership, it shouldn't expire until May 2017.

Now fast forward to 2016, I have had some financial difficulties in the last 3 years and couldn't use my timeshare. I was told by TLC timeshare sales that if I wasn't going to use my timeshare or points, I didn't need to pay for my RCI membership and to just reactivate/pay the account when you approach the year you want to use it. Lie. When I logged on to my RCI account, it states that I owe them an outstanding balance of $300 - $124 for 2016 membership and $26 for points saving fee, $124 for 2017 membership and $26 points saving fee. WHAT??

Essentially, I'm being charged for services I did not use and already paid for on top of the $500+ of maintenance fees for the timeshare. I asked RCI if there was a payment and I was told No. It would need to be paid in full prior to being able to use my timeshare. This doesn't seem right to me. I didn't use any points, yet I'm being charged for a membership that I have to maintain in order to use them in the future.

What is RCI really? You pay for a membership that does nothing for you other than charge you $150 per year to watch your points not get used, for them to hold your points, to let others use your timeshare because you don't. I just want to be able to use my timeshare without having to pay fees that I was told I didn't need to pay for or that I thought was already paid for in the $373 RCI fees I paid in advance.

Today I online chatted with Lisa ** for RCI asking why I had a $300 outstanding balance. Then she mentioned that this wasn't a scam when I never mentioned anything about a scam. She then told me that there is no payment plan and if I wanted to use my timeshare points I needed to pay the $300 outstanding balance first.

In February of 2016, I started a search for the Disney's Animal Kingdom resort for February of 2017 to celebrate my grandson's 9th Birthday. I had two units to trade and asked for two rooms. I was told that planning so far in advance, there should not be a problem. A couple of months later, after receiving notices that they were on it but nothing yet, I called and updated the search to any Disney properties in Florida and was told again there should be no problem. But they were only looking for one unit and I couldn't get two even though I paid the $229.00 fee for two with 128 trading power. What the heck? So having so many of us I asked for at least a 3 bedroom.

Fast forward several calls, many searches online (what a waste of time), nothing was happening so I again expanded the search to any Disney property in Florida or California. Again told there should be something coming up soon. My last call of which 4 were made before I got a friendly and knowledgeable person that told me I didn't have a chance and that there was nothing available for the next 5 years. That call was made the beginning of December and now it's too late to plan anything for February for my grandson's Birthday (very disappointed little boy). Why wouldn't they tell me that in the beginning so I could make other plans. Extremely disappointed in RCI! Do not let them talk you into joining, they are a complete rip off.

RCI is a scam. They take advantage of timeshare owners who pay exorbitant fees to have a timeshare and have limited choices. RCI promises to help by providing options to trade weeks and/or points to get a vacation that fits in with the needs of the member. Unfortunately, they charge hefty fees for the service and provide NO customer serve when it is needed. Timeshare owners deposit weeks in the bank at RCI, only to see the value depreciate and eventually expire. RCI will charge fees to trade deposited weeks, will give very limited options for trading power, and will not help the consumer who finds nothing to trade for.

RCI collects big fees for membership, travel window extensions, and for trading, but provides nothing to the consumer who may need some flexibility or accommodation when there is nothing available to trade for, or when deposited weeks expire. RCI is only there to collect fees and to take advantage of timeshare owners.

Timeshare ownership through RCI can be very good if you understand what you can and cannot do through RCI. When you go to a timeshare presentation, What you are told is 90% incorrect (lies). You cannot get what you want when you want it, most of the time (I do not care what they say). You also need to book early to get the better places when you exchange your points. There are great bargains through different sales and the "Last Chance" opportunities, but you need to understand that they are selling excess inventory weeks. There are many overbuilt areas (Orlando, Las Vegas, Massanutten, Poconos, etc.). You can get weeks here at very low costs ($200 to $300 per week) pretty much all year long. If you can vacation in June or September, you can get great places that will be totally booked during the summer.

I exchange my points for one week per year at places that do not go on sale. I am going to Sedona in October (prime time) this year. I then book 3 or 4 additional weeks through sales, etc. My total cost per year is about $1,800 (RCI fees plus my maintenance fee) for 5 weeks of vacation at 4 star places. No way I can get those prices anywhere else. If you buy a timeshare, you must buy a resale through eBay or other online sites. Your points to maintenance fee ratio must be above 100 or you will never be able to sell your unit. (Mine is 164, 61,000 points for a $370 yearly maintenance fee).

I went to put in a new search request today for my daughter's wedding present. Last month I paid my maintenance fees and upon advise of a RCI representative I deposited my 2 bedroom as two one bedroom units. Now I have been told that I need to combine my deposits for $119.00 in order to have enough trading power to search for a 2 bedroom. It used to be 2 years. I think they should let deposits be combined when and only when the search request is confirmed. Why spend the money and have no search be found and then you are stuck with using those deposits within one year instead of two years. Look very carefully before you deposit anything with RCI. I know I will not be using RCI anymore!

RCI's business practices include outbound cold calling without qualifying the recipient. When I and my colleagues answer phones at our business, RCI callers simply hang up after we identify ourselves as a business. This would be acceptable every 2-3 months, even every month. We receive these calls every day. I wish I were exaggerating. This is disruptive to the business day. I'm writing this from the perspective of my role, which is customer service. This review comes after more than two years of these calls. No attempt to remove ourselves from RCI contact lists has been successful. I write this with the slim hope that RCI will take notice and stop this business practice.

This company charges you $124 for an annual fee. If you do not renew it during the year that you cannot use your timeshare (even year in my case), they charge you a $300 reinstatement fee AND the $124! What a rip off! Their properties are marginal at best and their telephone customer service is horrendous. I will never do business with this company again and make sure anyone I know does the same.

Compare Timeshares