1.2/5 (46 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Updated on 9/13/2022: I already filed a complaint about RCI and no one is responding to my query and I don't have access to my deposited weeks. This is violation and extortion and it is crime! I have 6 weeks deposited to RCI with the value of 4500 USD. They made me lose money already! I think this company should not be in business! Violating my rights is a crime! I am totally upset and regretted that I have become a member of RCI!

Original review: I have been a member of RCI since 2018. It was a terrible decision that I have made. I deposited 10 weeks of my timeshare to RCI, with a value of $7,500. I keep paying extension fees, search fees, that fee, this fee. So far I exchanged my 4 weeks in Europe and none of the resorts was comparable to the value of maintenance fee, even close. Those resorts can be found on Booking.com at a half of price than it costed me. I called RCI to make them aware of the situation so many times but they never apologized or compensated me in any way.

When I told RCI I will file a complaint to authorities, the financial director located in RCI England wrote me and advice me cancel my membership when I have 6 more weeks already deposited to RCI, with a value of 4,500 USD. Now, they stopped communicating with me and they are not allowing me to use my weeks! This is extortion and crime. They don't know what they are doing is illegal! I already lost money in every single transaction while exchanging my weeks. I am extremely frustrated with dealing with RCI. If they don't resolve this, they do not leave me a choice other than suing company! They made my life hell when I was hoping to enjoy my weeks when I exchange with RCI.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

My parents were owners at Worldmark for as long as I remember. They had issues there and eventually got rid of it. However, now that I’m a mother I thought - well I loved it as a kid and into my teens and early adult life.. so why not get my own? Well I did their free trip to attend their ownership seminar in Las Vegas at Tahiti Village. I went with the intention to purchase - I have several trips planned with my partner and then with the kids. We have 5 kids total. So for me the timeshare would save money with how many my rooms need to sleep.

Upon checkin - I’m told that the room I was supposed to have was booked out so they crammed me in a small one bedroom which is the equivalent of a studio. It was really uncomfortable for my family. Then we said let’s make the most of it. There were no sheets or anything on my beds. No towels. No toiletries. Not sure if it was even cleaned to be honest. I called down for a rush order on linens and towels. It was about an hour or so. I know they’re busy - it was a holiday weekend. Just disappointing because I had sold my partner on the idea and this turned him off. We wanted to relocate to a new hotel because of the cleanliness, and were told I’d have to pay the fee. Almost did it but my partner said let’s just stick it out. Woke up with bites all over us - not sure if it was bed bugs but I have a 9 month old baby and am pregnant so we were not happy.

The timeshare presentation was okay. Other than the check in they were extremely rude and disorganized. I’ve been to several of these with my parents when I was younger. So I knew what to expect and this was not it. My sales rep zack was awesome and had we had a different experience we would have purchased. The only negative portion of that was the closer they sent in was extremely rude And abrupt. We paid full price to see the titanic exhibit because we didn’t feel comfortable going to the box office upstairs and talking to the representatives there. Also the lazy river needs more regulation. No floaties available because everyone sat and hoarded it while they sunbathed.

RCI response

Hi Savannah, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property; nor do we do timeshare presentations. We encourage you to contact the Tahiti Village directly with concerns. Kind Regards, RCI Customer Care

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Everywhere you go there are stairs. Some steps, like in the BBQ are not even level. Only a few rooms accessible to wheelchairs and even then it's impossible to get to ice machine or other amenities.

RCI response

Hi Tylene, feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

We took a vacation before the pandemic. Little did we know the the world was going to shut down for what feels like forever. I am writing in response to losing 1500 dollars per couple in the first 2 years - something RCI took away. Yes it was supposed to be used in year one. I felt like they knew that things were going to happen that's why they offered it. We just were able to get back to the States before everything shut down. We were not able to use in the first 2 years especially with an Immune compromised person my wife. I think we should be credited back with those credits. Thanks Walter.

RCI response

Hi Walter, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Went to the 90 Minute presentation primarily for the incentives ($100 Restaurant discount and 2 roundtrip airline tickets). IF you like being caught by used car salesmen or casket salesmen, Go and enjoy. But don't think the "free" incentives to come are any more honest than they are! Airline tickets end up costing $450. Restaurant voucher is 4/$25 coupons once per month, with no disclosure of where the restaurant is located (Timbuktu?) which costs you $10 per month and the restaurant might have many restrictions including forced tipping at their choice of %, only useable with a huge purchase, only take out, etc. - You won't know until after they get your money.

BTW what they are selling is probably their commission. Pay thousands plus a yearly fee in order to save a little on your bookings. It would take a lifetime to make up the thousands paid to get a little off. This is just timeshares, reinvented and unsellable to some other naïve person. (I'm sure you've heard all the ads for "I'll get you out of your horrendous timeshare contract, just pay me instead of them!")

RCI response

Hi Jean, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property; nor do we employ resort sale's staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

We have photos of the units at Crystal Springs posted on RCI website and photos of the unit we were given. We were scammed by RCI for the last time. RCI did not follow the resorts reservation procedure and when we arrived in South Africa we did not have a reservation for the resort. We were given an apartment unit instead of a lodge. We were able to switch to a one bedroom lodge with other guests even though we had traded with RCI for a two bedroom lodge.

We spoke with Anthony at RCI so that when we returned for our second week at Crystal Springs we would have the correct unit and all he did was send us some random confirmation that did not have the info the resort required. We called the resort a few days before our second week and they still had not received the confirmation from RCI. I called RCI after hour numbers and once again all they did was send a random confirmation without the necessary info to my email. When we arrived at Crystal springs for our second week we were told we did not have a reservation again. Again we were put in an apartment unit where we are now staying. Like I said at the beginning I have photos of what we have been given compared to the RCI website. And this was the absolute last straw.

RCI response

Hi Marguerite, we're sorry to hear this and would like the opportunity to investigate. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: July 28, 2022

I have used RCI to use my timeshare at other locations. Yesterday, I booked a room and was told I could cancel within 24 hours with no penalties and I would receive a full refund. I called back a few hours later to cancel and book 2 rooms at a different location. I specifically asked if the same rules apply regarding no penalties and a full refund. I was told yes the representative told me that since I paid for the first room that I just needed to pay difference. I asked again to make sure if I called back within 24 hours to cancel would I get a full refund and I was assured YES. I explained that my aunt was on life support and because we decided as a family to remove her from it that was why I needed the rooms but doctors said not exactly sure if or when she would pass. Only time would tell.

I called back today to cancel because my aunt is fighting for her life and doctors said it was best to hold off on plans. The representative informed me that becasue I paid the difference for the second room that I could only get a partial refund and credit on my account for a future stay. He apologized that I was given incorrect information. Really! I requested a supervisor. Which the station supervisor was available because of the call volume and time. Unacceptable! I want a full refund. I asked for the call to be pulled because I was informed that I would receive a full refund. He said that I could dispute it but it would be denied. That is not how you treat your customers that have been with you for over ten years. This is fraud, robbery and dishonesty point blank!!!

RCI response

Hi Sherr-una, I'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 24, 2022

I had RCI for 9 years, they never had great resorts but we worked with them. I don't like how they continue to raise their fees while they struggle to gain contracts with different hotel and resorts. Their selection of booking has not grown much over the years and it is really hard to find a 4-star stay, I have rarely seen 5 stars, I doubt they have them. For Caribbean resorts, you can pay around $240 USD per person, per day. Yes, that is right, per person per day for resort fees, even if you use your points! We are now up to about $900 a year in maintenance fees.

Plus they just released in Apr 2022 a new set of fees to book. So, I paid my maintenance fee of $900, my points fees, and now I have to pay $260 fee to book a stay at a 3-star resort to use 14k of my 90k points. I still have 90k points because my skin crawls looking for a resort. On top of that, I now have to find a lawyer and pay lawyer fees to properly get out of this timeshare. It is truly not worth the cost and headache. Pay for your trip elsewhere.

RCI response

Hi Ashley, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Resolution response: July 31, 2022

Thank you for resolving my issue with my booking.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I have been looking for two weeks for a room in Maui, I was told by a friend to call customer service because they have more access to rooms, so I called and told the lady that we are three adults and one child looking for a two bedroom in Maui. when I saw the email two days later I saw it was for a one bedroom. I called in and I was told I would have to cancel my reservation and rebook plus pay additional fees to rebook. Needless to say I was furious. I completely regret being pressured into purchasing this timeshare.

RCI response

Hi Jesus, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your membership number so I can take a closer look. Kind regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 1, 2022

As per usual, we were invited to a membership sales pitch during our holidays. We were pressured into buying into the RCI Points system (We were staying in our accommodation using our RCI Weeks) and told that our points would, mean that we could book accommodation on a nightly basis instead of being locked into weekly blocks.

They pressured us to sign the contract on the spot and we were not given time to think it through. We were not informed clearly about the annual fees which are very costly. I have not been able to utilize our points to book nightly stays. I have been constrained by weekly stays. It looks like they have let my points expire for 2020 and 2021. We have been unable to travel as we were in long extended harsh lockdowns for most of 2020 and 2021. They have sent threatening Collection letters when we have needed extra time to pay the annual fee. I would like to break the 50-year contract but I don't know how to without encountering even more financial hardship.

RCI response

Hi Bernadette, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings. RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property or points. We encourage you to contact the resort where you purchased if you have concerns. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Advisor

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information