1.3/5 (31 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

Worst company ever. They just lie to you left and right. We have been told one thing then they turn around and change it. This has been one of the most frustrating and stressful things ever, when you try to book a trip then you go to find out your points that should not expire, have expired because its been two years, even though we were not allowed to travel for a year and a half because of Covid. Best advice I can give to anyone is DO NOT SIGN UP! no matter how good they make it sound. I will say most of the employees I have spoken to are nice though.

RCI response

Hi CJ, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

I have never felt more scammed. They're a bunch of people who don't even care about you. Once they have their money you're just a piece of **. The only problem they solve is the one that they created themselves. NEVER, NEVER work with these people.

RCI response

Hi Nicolas, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

My husband and I have been RCI platinum members since 2022. I am finding out that everything we were told was untrue. When we signed up for this we were told we could take vacations for $199, $249 etc for a week and not have to pay anything else all over the world. Those prices were all we would pay. Very far from the truth. I asked specific questions to the person helping sell the timeshares. I am now realizing everything were lies. We have already paid a lot of money to this company and got nothing in return.

My husband and I have been wanting to go to Mexico. This one all inclusive resort #C587 that I called RCI about cost the same if we booked through RCI or just on the website. And actually we have to pay RCI to hold it so it actually cost more with RCI to book then with the hotel directly. RCI is not saving us any money like we thought. It's actually costing us more. I honesty wish I would not have been pressured into this and saved my money. We could have already paid for an awesome vacation by now with the money we spent. I really hoped that this would help us achieve our dream to be able to travel more affordably, but sadly this is not the case at all. I am very disappointed that I joined RCI. I wish I could sell our timeshare and make my money back that I already gave them. I feel cheated and taken as a fool for believing them.

RCI response

Hi Lauren, RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property. However, RCI partners with affiliated resorts to ensure they are up-to-date on our policies and procedures. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with additional questions/concerns about our exchange program. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

RCI is one of the worse companies I have ever dealt with!!! They are in a word (Sham!). They do not care at all about their Members - are in their view (Another Sucker through the door!!!). How they are in business is nothing more than (Amazing!). All they want is to sham you out of your five star all inclusive stays & give you (Nothing in return). Dates won't line up - certainly quality or anything close to what you are trading won't compare to the garbage they will quote trade you for - I put my five star all inclusive traded weeks into their (Joke) power trading account - And they then Fee you to death in any attempt to use the power trading account - try to expire your points anything too screw you! This is such a sham of a company - So traders (Be aware)!!!! Date of experience: October 16, 2022.

RCI response

Hi Daniel, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Because we are a serviced based company, we do charge fees for our services. Please email us at talktous@rci.com if we can be of further assistance. Kind Regards, RCI Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Avoid this company. I have been with them for over 30 years and they have continued to go downhill since being acquired some years ago by a major vacation resorts company. Trying to get answers from them is almost impossible. They are staffed by people who speak broken English and are very hard to understand. In addition the reps are arrogant and you dare not question them about what they tell you. I am looking for another timeshare trading company because I can't stand the stress of dealing with these unprofessional, arrogant, and belligerent employees. They all need to take a course in "customer relations"!

I was attempting to get information concerning the points program that they created some years ago and I was charged over two thousand to join it. Unfortunately, when I agreed to join this program I was not told everything about the way it really works and it has turned out to be a nightmare. Looking back on the experience, I can conclude that the presentation that I attended concerning the points program today might be called a "scam".

RCI response

Hi John, we're sorry to hear this and would like the opportunity to try and help. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, RCI Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Updated on 9/13/2022: I already filed a complaint about RCI and no one is responding to my query and I don't have access to my deposited weeks. This is violation and extortion and it is crime! I have 6 weeks deposited to RCI with the value of 4500 USD. They made me lose money already! I think this company should not be in business! Violating my rights is a crime! I am totally upset and regretted that I have become a member of RCI!

Original review: I have been a member of RCI since 2018. It was a terrible decision that I have made. I deposited 10 weeks of my timeshare to RCI, with a value of $7,500. I keep paying extension fees, search fees, that fee, this fee. So far I exchanged my 4 weeks in Europe and none of the resorts was comparable to the value of maintenance fee, even close. Those resorts can be found on Booking.com at a half of price than it costed me. I called RCI to make them aware of the situation so many times but they never apologized or compensated me in any way.

When I told RCI I will file a complaint to authorities, the financial director located in RCI England wrote me and advice me cancel my membership when I have 6 more weeks already deposited to RCI, with a value of 4,500 USD. Now, they stopped communicating with me and they are not allowing me to use my weeks! This is extortion and crime. They don't know what they are doing is illegal! I already lost money in every single transaction while exchanging my weeks. I am extremely frustrated with dealing with RCI. If they don't resolve this, they do not leave me a choice other than suing company! They made my life hell when I was hoping to enjoy my weeks when I exchange with RCI.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

My parents were owners at Worldmark for as long as I remember. They had issues there and eventually got rid of it. However, now that I’m a mother I thought - well I loved it as a kid and into my teens and early adult life.. so why not get my own? Well I did their free trip to attend their ownership seminar in Las Vegas at Tahiti Village. I went with the intention to purchase - I have several trips planned with my partner and then with the kids. We have 5 kids total. So for me the timeshare would save money with how many my rooms need to sleep.

Upon checkin - I’m told that the room I was supposed to have was booked out so they crammed me in a small one bedroom which is the equivalent of a studio. It was really uncomfortable for my family. Then we said let’s make the most of it. There were no sheets or anything on my beds. No towels. No toiletries. Not sure if it was even cleaned to be honest. I called down for a rush order on linens and towels. It was about an hour or so. I know they’re busy - it was a holiday weekend. Just disappointing because I had sold my partner on the idea and this turned him off. We wanted to relocate to a new hotel because of the cleanliness, and were told I’d have to pay the fee. Almost did it but my partner said let’s just stick it out. Woke up with bites all over us - not sure if it was bed bugs but I have a 9 month old baby and am pregnant so we were not happy.

The timeshare presentation was okay. Other than the check in they were extremely rude and disorganized. I’ve been to several of these with my parents when I was younger. So I knew what to expect and this was not it. My sales rep zack was awesome and had we had a different experience we would have purchased. The only negative portion of that was the closer they sent in was extremely rude And abrupt. We paid full price to see the titanic exhibit because we didn’t feel comfortable going to the box office upstairs and talking to the representatives there. Also the lazy river needs more regulation. No floaties available because everyone sat and hoarded it while they sunbathed.

RCI response

Hi Savannah, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property; nor do we do timeshare presentations. We encourage you to contact the Tahiti Village directly with concerns. Kind Regards, RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Everywhere you go there are stairs. Some steps, like in the BBQ are not even level. Only a few rooms accessible to wheelchairs and even then it's impossible to get to ice machine or other amenities.

RCI response

Hi Tylene, feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

We took a vacation before the pandemic. Little did we know the the world was going to shut down for what feels like forever. I am writing in response to losing 1500 dollars per couple in the first 2 years - something RCI took away. Yes it was supposed to be used in year one. I felt like they knew that things were going to happen that's why they offered it. We just were able to get back to the States before everything shut down. We were not able to use in the first 2 years especially with an Immune compromised person my wife. I think we should be credited back with those credits. Thanks Walter.

RCI response

Hi Walter, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Went to the 90 Minute presentation primarily for the incentives ($100 Restaurant discount and 2 roundtrip airline tickets). IF you like being caught by used car salesmen or casket salesmen, Go and enjoy. But don't think the "free" incentives to come are any more honest than they are! Airline tickets end up costing $450. Restaurant voucher is 4/$25 coupons once per month, with no disclosure of where the restaurant is located (Timbuktu?) which costs you $10 per month and the restaurant might have many restrictions including forced tipping at their choice of %, only useable with a huge purchase, only take out, etc. - You won't know until after they get your money.

BTW what they are selling is probably their commission. Pay thousands plus a yearly fee in order to save a little on your bookings. It would take a lifetime to make up the thousands paid to get a little off. This is just timeshares, reinvented and unsellable to some other naïve person. (I'm sure you've heard all the ads for "I'll get you out of your horrendous timeshare contract, just pay me instead of them!")

RCI response

Hi Jean, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property; nor do we employ resort sale's staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Advisor

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information