2. Travel

1.3/5 (60 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

If you are a member of RCI timeshare (Global Travel) beware of reservations overseas during these covid times. They are profiting under the circumstances of keeping your fees (the exchange fee and guest fees) associated with your reservation cancelation. The destination country may not be closed at this time, which is a requirement to a refund) but the hoops you need to go thru makes it very difficult to comply to enter the country during these times to enjoy a vacation. Furthermore, RCI will make a exception (if you complain) to credit you the exchange fee if you rebook another vacation within 2 months. Don't you love stipulations. And I just love how you can't get a word in edgewise to voice your disbelief or unhappiness with a supervisor or management. Thank you so much RCI.

RCI response

Hi Gioia, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with our current COVID cancel policy. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I bought this timeshare in 2015. I tried to cancel my contract within that month but I been told and ensure not to because first, I can't do it. Second I will be happy with RCI in future. Now it's been 7 years and I still regret every single day and say to myself "Why did I sign up with RCI, why??" I have so many reasons for my regrets. Their points are expensive, I have to use my points plus additional fees, resorts we get they are low rating and out of the city etc. Without RCI contract I can get hotel/resorts anywhere with so many cheap options. But RCI just took that flexibility from me:_(. Sometimes feel like crying, I could have spend that money on my family maintenances.

RCI response

Hi Amy, we're very sorry to hear of your frustration. RCI does not own,sell or manage timeshares. We're simply a timeshare exchange company that allows owners of participating resorts to exchange their vacation time with other owners.If we can assist you with your exchange benefits through our program, please email us at talktous@rci.com.If you have questions/concerns about your timeshare ownership, please contact your home resort or vacation club directly. Kind Regards, Kathleen M.,RCI NA

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I think that the week bookings in RCI are too expensive. The quality of the resorts are not very high and only for the booking fee that you pay to RCI you can get the same quality without be in RCI and own your main resort. I have paid a lot of money to get the access to my main resort and additional you have to pay a lot of money to RCI to get a middle to low level resort.

RCI response

Hi Miguel, we are sorry for any frustration. As an optional membership, we do charge fees for our services. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI North America

Resolution response: Sept. 22, 2021

We were treated very kindly and professionally by Kathleen M. She took control of the situation and went above and beyond to help us out. Thank you so much Kathleen for your consideration and help in rectifying the issues we had previously unresolved on other attempts. You are awesome.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

RCI cancelled my week that I had put in to the RCI network 2 years in advance, had the exchange confirmed about 10-11 months prior to travel date. They cancelled due to the resort staff getting covid, which I do understand. However, instead of giving a reconfirmed week elsewhere or even extending our search parameters into 2022, they gave us only 1 month and 1 week to find another week in the network that we can drive to. We live on the NE coast, so everything will be cold the end of October for any beach travel. We are very upset, unhappy and feel they did not do their best in handling this.

We've been members since 1982, and have always paid our membership on time. We are pulling our weeks away from them and will be doing other things with our weeks in the future instead of giving them to RCI. I felt they should have extended our week until at least May 31 2022 to allow us some time to find something else as this week exchange we paid for was not met, not until just till 10/31/2021.

RCI response

Hi Georgi, I'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

So RCI called me to offer me a Great Deal on a Vacation Certificate Package. If we paid $1900 we got 1 week in a Resort (we used it for Hawaii- but that cost an additional $1400- same price as online) AND a Cruise. Well the Cruise has been rebooked 5 Yes 5 Times. We were cancelled and rescheduled due to Covid. We were all set to Cruise on 10-17-21 to the Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Freedom. They just deleted our Cruise. I have airfare & paid an additional $1034 to get a balcony room. Our Cruise was on Carnival's site and we had uploaded some of our information. I went in to pay for excursions and gratuities and our Cruise is just Gone. Still trying to get my money back - oh and the certificate is expired so they say too bad on that. SO WRONG!!!! RIP OFF SCAM ARTISTS!!!!

RCI response

Hi Chris, I'm very sorry to hear of your frustration. I have forwarded this over to our cruise area for someone to contact you. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have had an RCI membership for about 20 years. We have been saving our points in order to have a family reunion. Now they are telling me that in order to keep the two years points we have saved through the end of 2021, we need to pay for one year fee plus $36 and change because "they automatically carry over 1 year's points" but you need to pay for it. Admittedly, my membership expired; I have no problem paying for the time between expiration and now.

Then, in January of 2022, I need to pay for another membership plus $109 to keep the points I currently have. They cannot allow me to pay for a 3 year membership now, I have to pay for one year now and Jan of 2022 pay more. Not only that, but it is extremely difficult to exchange points for a vacation, usually requiring 15 mos notice or more. I am not at all surprised to see all of the negative reviews.

RCI response

Hi Christine, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. As an optional timeshare exchange company, we do charge fees for our services. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

In June I purchased from RCI a vacation for my husband's birthday. He booked 3 tee times to play golf. The cost was a whopping $917 (non-refundable). A few days before the trip we saw that a major hurricane Ida was to enter the Gulf. In checking the Miramar Beach weather, it was evident that they were expecting severe thunderstorms. We decided to ask for an accommodation of either a refund, change of date or even a credit due to the fact that the first 4 days would be bad weather. Forgot about the fact that subsequent to Ida's landfall the are was included in several storm watches and warnings. They have blatantly refused to make any accommodations because they weren't forced to close!. No integrity, bad customer service. They should not be affiliated with RCI who is selling their product!

RCI response

Hi Brenda, I'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

We are to have someone assist us with our timeshare cancellation. We have been misled by this company and in doing our research, we have discovered we are not alone in this fight. FantaSea has lied to us from the moment we listened to the presentation. We have paid so much money to this company. My husband is retired and it is impossible to keep up with the maintenance fees. We weren't advised that they would go up so much. It is also becoming difficult to travel physically.

We have reached out to FantaSea with hopes of them working with us. We have gotten generic answers all basically telling us there is no way out. They tell us they are willing to help us book. That isn't what we are asking for. It seems like they aren't listening to us. We don't know where to turn at this point. We are exhausted by this whole process. We are reaching out to you to see if there is anything we can do from here. Please let us know how to proceed. We appreciate your time.

Kimberly & Harvey

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Not surprised the reviews for RCI are so bad. I have been a member since 2011. I was always able to search any date no matter the points I had left. I have 27 points and they expire January 2022. I am thinking of paying to extend expiration date, but RCI system will not let me search PAST January 31, 2022 because that's when points expire. Why? Why would I pay AHEAD if I don't know if there is a place we want to go to at our particular time frame? We have kids. Those with kids can't just pick up and go. We can only go next June or July, but looking for a specific place. I am not going to pay and then search, only to find out where we want to go is not even available. I called about this early in the week and the Rep said I should be able to do this and I'll get a call back because it's likely a glitch.

Not surprised I didn't get a call so I had to take time out to call again. This rep could care less. She told me they changed it and now you can't do this anymore. Why???? RCI is is probably not getting enough people to pay and extend, so this is their way around it. Right, RCI? Don't spend your time with RCI. Go with a different exchange company. This one is dishonest and doesn't care about their customers' complaints and these reviews prove it. Oh, and by the way, RCI, before you tell me to send you an email like you did to the rest of these people: I ALREADY DID. But, not holding my breath waiting for a call. But, when you are trying to sell me something, you are right there bothering me.

RCI response

Hi Maria, I'm sorry for the frustration. If I can help, feel free to email me at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I spoke at length with a representative of RCI. I booked 5 weeks in Madeira Island for December 2021 until February 2022. I spoke to representative about having to arrange flights for this and it was recorded. It took me a couple of days for the travel agent to get back to me saying that flights were unavailable due to covid. I then called RCI to cancel the 5 weeks. During conversation with representative I asked about insurance and was advised to take it out. I did and paid extra for that. When I went to cancel the exchanges I was informed that they would be keeping 50% of the fees (All 5 weeks was a lot for me to lose) that the insurance I took out was only for the Trading Power.

I was also advised that it had to be used by the end of November 2021. Why do they take 50% and put it into their account and not return the other 50%to the unlucky customer.? It's not their policy! Someone talked about a class action suit earlier ... I think it's time we did this.. They are sitting with my money in their accounts and I like hundreds of other cannot use it and the inventory of RCI has reduced so much since I joined them in 1982. I am now 76 years old and feel they are taking advantage.! I have several conversations saved from Chat lines, they have copies on their computers as well. Rules are Rules however RCI have changed theirs to their customers' disadvantage. We need legal advice on how to get some satisfaction.

RCI response

Hi Marlenna, I am very sorry for all the frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your membership number so I can take a closer look at your situation. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

RCI author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information