RCI

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I signed up with RCI for what reason? I was with Interval International, I wanted to stay at Disneyland, contacted RCI and asked how to stay at Disneyland in California, couldn't get a straight answer. The only answer I received was I had to join with RCI and deposit my week with them to see what kind of trading power I had. Well I am not going to deposit my week if I can't stay where I want to go. So finally I got a representative tell me "You have to deposit your week and request through them at least a year or more in advance to be on a waiting list," but of course they already have my money of joining. Now I have no resort to stay at and I have to stay in a hotel when I have a timeshare that I pay thousands of dollars for, so someone please tell me why we pay all of this money if we're still staying in hotels? I want my money refunded!!!

Booked a cruise... Needed rental car to and from port along with hotel stay. Rental car representatives completely uneducated on most convenient, cheapest options. Hotel and cruise was booked through Expedia so needless to say hotel reservation was lost; only able to stay at same hotel because room was attached to a Hilton Diamond member... Room had a 2-3 inch dead roach among other issues. No refund possible due to third party booking. Not to mention charged more than rack rate and was charged an extra fee from RCI for booking third party! Zero customer help from RCI until day six; only to tell me sorry about my luck. I could not have done a worse job booking a vacation all one my own with no professional experience. Cannot drop this company fast enough!

We were sucked into a timeshare with Sapphire Resorts a subsidiary of RCI. They lied about great airfare deals, They lied about buybacks. The customer service is laughable. Used my membership once and was so fed up with the incompetence of the company that I wanted out. No satisfaction guaranteed. You are stuck with high maintenance fees and virtually nothing for your money. Disgusting, unethical dishonest company. Do not get ripped off like we did. I wish I could warn everyone who gets lured by their slick sales techniques.

We have been RCI customers for over 13 years, we love to travel and yes, we have used them quite often. We were solicited a cruise package through them which was two 3-5 day cruises for two people, and a 7 day stay at specific resorts on their website. The cost of this package was $2399. Sounds good at the time right? NOT SO MUCH. When you book your "free" cruise that you just paid for, you are only offered mostly inside cabins and some ocean view cabins at no extra charge. But then you have to pay taxes, port charges and an "NCCF" fee. After all the fees paid when you book your cruise, it comes out to be $100-$300 less than booking straight through the cruise company. So I paid $2399 to get a $200-600 discount on my cruises!!!

Yes, I also received a 7 night stay in one of the few resorts that they offer, however, I could have booked these on the RCI website for $249 for the week as an extra vacation with no points or exchange fees!!! What a scam they have going on here! So I pretty much just gave them $1500 for nothing. It is disgusting the way they run their business.

I have owned at the Royal Islander in St. Maarten since 1989. Purchased a studio and joined RCI. It worked out well as I deposited a studio every year as I owned Labor day and did not really want to go that time of year. Most/all of the time my exchange was never a studio, but a two bedroom and even sometimes Royal Islander gave me one of the Penthouses! No combining weeks either as I go every year. Since Wyndham took over (downhill) I sold my studio to my girlfriend who only wants to go every other year and I purchased a 2 bedroom for $1995 in a fire sale. (Yippee) The exact week I want to go down for the next 25 years... I will never deposit my week, and RCI will never make money on me again to exchange! You deposit, they resell... Who makes the money! Then they make you pay $199+ to exchange, another Win Win for RCI and nothing for their customers.

I only buy extra vacations, period. I do have the Platinum, so it cost me about $130 a year to buy extra vacations when they first pop up. Still, another win for RCI as their inventory is extra. But their extra vacation prices are now getting too steep. Eventually they will get it. Better to sell 100,000 weeks at $299 than 10,000 for $999 and 90,000 left over. People traveling to these locations stimulate the economy. Yes some eat in their rooms, but they still go to the grocery stores and still eat meals out as well as their entertainment/adventures. But RCI is better than Intervals International. More inventory. When last minute Caravanserai in SXM closed its doors to people with reservations, RCI got us another timeshare on the island it we had a wonderful time. Though I did end up having more people in our room than planned on but we needed to work with RCI too due to the circumstances. They still owe me a week for that, but I'll never probably see it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

The sales presentation is excellent at this company. They show you places that you can "use" at whatever location you say you are interested in. When you actually pay and sign up and get online to look for a place in that location, it is not available or is 3 times the points you expected to have to use. There should be a trial period so that you can sell back within the first month or so, but there is not. They tell you that you can sell it back, but when you ask, they say that that "period" is over. You are basically stuck. Wish I could give a 0.

RCI is the worst resort company ever. They steal points away from you that you have purchased and says that the points were used under a vacation that was never booked. In order to resolve this situation, they'll transfer you back and forth to departments and have you wait hours!!! I hate this company with a passion. Rip offs!

I have purchased many certificate packages from RCI travel department. When I purchased 2 more packages last year, I was told that I could get 1 week at a resort of my choosing and either a premium cruise or 2 seven night cruises. I used my resort stay and one of the 7 night cruises without any problems. I went to use the second 7 night cruise and ran into a huge mess. First, when I originally purchased the package I was told I could have a balcony suite. Well, not the case anymore. I was told that I can only have an inside stateroom. So disappointed I went ahead and booked the cruise anyway. Now that we are close to our cruise date, I called the cruise certificate department looking for the itinerary that was never mailed to me. This is how we communicated in the past.

They said they emailed it to me but I never received it. It probably went to spam. They are saying I owe an additional $1116.95 on each of the two packages to pay for an inside stateroom. I paid the gov and taxes at time of booking and was told the certificates would cover the remaining balance. They said the cruise was not paid in full. I paid over $3,000.00 for the certificates plus $575.00 for gov and taxes for each stateroom. Now they want an additional $1116.95 for an inside stateroom on top of the $3575.00 I have already paid. I asked them what the certificate value was and was told they did not know. I now am considering cancelling the cruise and rebooking directly with Princess since it is much cheaper.

I am arguing with RCI to get my money back. They say they will have to investigate further with other departments to see if I qualify for a refund. I have spent over 3 hours on the phone with them trying to fix the problem. I am so disappointed in the supervisor Ramon in the certificate department for not fixing this mistake. My itinerary also shows that I have paid the balance in full. I kept directing Ramon to that document and he still maintains I owe a balance. DON'T BUY THE VACATION CERTIFICATES FROM RCI TRAVEL. IT IS A SCAM!! YOU CAN GET A BETTER DEAL GOING DIRECT TO THE CRUISE LINE.

We've owned a timeshare for A LOT of years. Bought it at a ski resort (although they call themselves a 4 seasons resort). A prime week - the second week of the year. PERFECT time to ski. When we bought our timeshare, we subscribed to RCI, on the resort's recommendation. They said, "With a prime week, you can trade for any vacation you want." At first all was good. We like the beach in the summer, so we traded our week for the beach, during prime time in the summer. Then the greed that takes over so many, hit RCI. They figured out that if you convert weeks to points, you can make more money.

Yes, I'm aware of the complaints that RCI fees you to death. That's just salt in the wound. RCI does have a lot of good benefits. When we bought our timeshare, we were also given a lifetime of annual bonus weeks through RCI, as long as we subscribed to RCI (although I noticed, they neglected to add our bonus week this year). Another perk of subscribing to RCI is that you have access to discounted extra vacations. Here's the thing about those extra vacations. RCI claims they've bought up so many units at each resort so their members have access to extra vacations. It's been my experience that when we do luck out and get a unit during the summer, those extra vacation units lie empty. To try to fill the units, RCI offers sales. The units are still empty.

Within recent years, we've opted to purchase platinum benefits through RCI. Yes, that's an additional fee. We've found that we're not able to get the vacation we desire, but with platinum benefits, we can initiate an ongoing search, and RCI does the work for us. This year, however, we keep receiving phone calls from RCI, asking us to reconsider our vacation times, or our vacation destinations. It turns out, RCI's weighted our PRIME week points so low, it doesn't even come close to the points required to get a week where we want to go. And to add insult to injury, because RCI can't fill their extra vacation units, they would rather lose money to those units than to open them up to weeks owners.

It's a slap in the face when you've already spent the money on your timeshare, along with the maintenance fee, for RCI to tell you, "We can't give you an extra weeks unit because we've bought those units and we need paying members to fill them so we're able to pay for the units." Trust me, those units have been paid for ten fold. Why else would RCI reduce the price of those units when they can't fill them. It just seems to me, RCI values the almighty dollar more than its members.

I have been with RCI approx 12yrs. My previous issues have been the fact that they charge for unused points... Live and learn. My complaint is that I had to cancel a reservation. It's unfortunate but situations do arise and plans have to get changed. I cancelled 5-days prior to my check-in date. RCI WILL NEITHER REFUND NOR CREDIT my charge of $99.00! They say they have a 24-hour 'grace period'. I feel this is a major RIP-OFF to consumers and extremely bad business practice. I have contacted them by email, customer service and 'blabbering' supervisor. I was told "they have to keep the lights on" in order to provide their service. Well, RCI, my lights need to be on as well!! BUYER BEWARE.

We see no reason to sign up for RCI except to give the company money. We are new members who tried to use RCI for the first time. We wanted to visit El Dorado Suites, Riviera Maya, using our exchange. Through RCI, we have to pay a $399 fee for a mandatory 7-day visit. RCI requires we also pay a $2500 "Mandatory all inclusive" fee for the El Dorado. So that's the cost of our RCI membership, plus a $399 fee, plus a $2500 all-inclusive fee. Curious, we logged into El Dorado's home page and found we could sign up for the exact same vacation, not using RCI, for a total cost of $2200, also all-inclusive. So the all-inclusive fee alone is more than the actual cost of staying at the El Dorado Suites, without having ever met an RCI salesperson.

I've been a member of RCI for 7 years. And got sucked into changing weeks to points. Let me tell you. You pay for the right to use a room for a resort for a week. And with points, you have better options. And with a Platinum membership, it gets a lot better. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! The most unfortunate part of deciding whether you are getting a timeshare or not, is while you are on vacation. You're in good spirits. You're enjoying your vacation, and want more time. In comes the timeshare rep, and makes it sound like a wonderful investment. It affords you the ability to vaca in nice unit. You're planning to go in a vacation at least once a year, so why not do it in style? If the person reading this has already bought a timeshare, ugh! Sorry. Welcome to the club of regret. If you are still considering, let me tell you why you don't want to get trapped, and I mean that, trapped in this timeshare web.

1st expense: you purchase the right to own your week in a resort. Whether it be sold as weeks, or points. Ranges from 5,000 to whatever amount, depending on your resort. They offer different options of payment, so it's having an amortization. Think of dividing into the number of years you will vacation, then put that on paper. 2nd expense: maintenance. I pay freaking $360/year for stupid maintenance of a property that I am a supposed owner in. I'm not sure what other people pay, but it becomes a bill on a yearly basis, that if you decide to not go on vacation, you are still required to pay. 3rd expense: of course, you bought the right to use a room for a week, or in some cases, use the points for days use. Now, how are you going to use this right, or exchange your right for someone else's right in another location, anywhere around the world? You need a platform to do this.

RCI. They are the gateway to this marvelous choices of resorts. And to be to use them, you need to be a member. And guess what? It'll cost you $125/year. Also, a bill requirement in a yearly basis that never goes away. You miss a year, you want to be back? You need to pay both years. There is no escape. You want better benefits? An additional year of points not expiring? Get a platinum membership. It'll cost you an additional $69. Just in case you didn't know, your right or your week expires every year. If you want to extend it because you are not going on vacation this year, that's another additional cost. Last time I did it which was years ago, I remember vaguely it cost me $40. The next year, I did not use it so not only did I not get a vacation, I lost money along the way.

4th expense: oh yes, there's more. So you think you actually paid for your right, and now you're going to book a place, say in Paris. It's going to cost $260 to book that lovely place. Mind you, it isn't even in the area where you would like to stay. The quality of RCI's resort directory are not consistent. You can read reviews in some location, and it's rather similar in terms of being old, antiquated and unclean. I got so upset recently with RCI that I sent a not so happy message on their choices of hotels in any area. Plus, how the limited supply of resorts available have bad reviews. Who does the quality control? In this age of Groupons, AirBnbs, Home Aways, Living Socials, plus Expedia, TripAdvisor, etc., timeshares don't make any sense. So, if you did write down your expenses from start to finish, do you think it makes sense? I hope I can save someone else from doing a mistake I did a long time ago.

"Join in the Festivities and Celebrate Vacation Village Resorts' Anniversary with a Complimentary Vacation! OFFER EXTENDED. It's not too late to join the party, take advantage of this opportunity to celebrate Vacation Village Resorts' 35 year anniversary before it's over! As part of the celebration, RCI® subscribing members can receive a complimentary one week stay by simply booking your next vacation into select Vacation Village Resorts and paying a $149USD internal exchange fee with no Points required.* Act Fast! Must book by 4.30.17 with travel dates through 2.28.18."

Received the above e-mail from RCI, called to book a week at Vacation Village at Parkway in Florida; I was informed that the cost would be $218.00 Canadian flat fee instead of being $189.00 which was the conversion of $149.00usd to Canadian dollars. I questioned the mark up of $28 dollars and was informed that they don't have the capability of converting usd to cad in a daily basis and that it would be too costly to do so and that they also have to charge GST since it is a promotion. I stated that if the offer for Canadians is totally different from the US clients, RCI should be sending their e-mail offers stating exactly how it would impact Canadians. Of course the representative became more agitated and unable to give a proper answer.

On investigating found out that their explanation had no merit; the mere fact that when you book a vacation they know exactly what the usd to cad exchange is and you are charged the daily exchange. RCI is misrepresenting their company and misleading their clients and getting away with added fees. I cancelled my vacation and will review my association with RCI.

I have been an RCI member for a long time now. Not only do they fee you to death, there are fees for everything, the value of the points is ridiculous, and it seems, I can never use them for what I want to use them for. This last time (and not the first time I have had issue, just the first time I decided to complain), I attempted to use some of my annual 80,000 points for car rental. Well, it seems there is a "glitch" in their system that doesn't show my points. The rep acknowledged that they know I have points, but I cannot use them right now, but she will be glad to book my rental for cash, and RCI will reimburse when the "glitch" is repaired and show my points. Of course, I told her that was not going to happen.

Someone call an IT professional for this company! Good luck with their website. Every time I look for something on their site it tells me they are having technical difficulties and I can't get in. But the icing on the cake is when you do want to book something you will find it unavailable. Get ready to find only lint in your pockets because this company will clean out your pockets with all their fees! It only works well if you pick a (non) all inclusive, go last minute and you don't mind staying in a dump. So what I am saying is they definitely know how to ruin a vacation. I can always find a vacation cheaper on websites like cheapcarribean.com. RCI members get put in the dumpiest rooms which are not easily accessible to amenities.

Beware of Gold Crowns! Hahahaha definitely not top of the line resorts. Very marginal at best. I have been a points owner for several years and I have had nothing but poor customer service, poor resort choices, unbelievable fees and complete headaches from trying to use the website. Beware, beware, beware! RCI should be put out of business. They are extortionists in the most extreme form. They are masters at lying. I'm still sitting on a bunch of free stays that I can't use because of one reason or another. They offered me free extra weeks and free cruises with my original purchase. Still can't find a way to use those. One big joke but unfortunately the joke was on me. Wish we could sue them for all their lies!

We recently stayed at an RCI timeshare with family and friends. We signed up for a three bedroom unit that sleeps 10 (8 privately). One of the bedrooms was large enough to fit a family of four. That is what was advertised. What we received was two units joined (which we didn't have a problem with) but they slept 6 privately. One unit had a queen size bed and a pull out couch and the other unit had a king bed with a pull out couch and a room upstairs. But the room upstairs had two twin beds. It was a kids room. It was the size of a small attic. We brought this to the attention of the hotel front desk, but we were told this was an issue with RCI and that the hotel was completely booked. My family member is the one who has the timeshare. I do not feel we received what was advertised and they should get points back. I will never stay at an RCI timeshare again.

I want out of my RCI timeshare. I think they should be shut down. They are a bait & switch business. Please any know of a way to get out without ruining your credit. I wish I had read these reviews 4 years ago when I bought into this timeshare which I have never been able to use. I received a call last week from their RCI travel packages offering me 2 cruise and another resort stay. I went over in full detail that I wanted the 2 cruises to be Hawaii at the same time for my husband and I and another couple. The supposedly manager was even helping me price it out per couple. He told me I could gift the second certificate to my friends. My husband was on the other line and ask if there was anymore charges the manager told us no. I was told to call back the next day and they would get me set up with booking.

I called back and talked to booking. I was told I COULD NOT do this. I could not use the certificates for 2 Hawaii cruises without paying $561 per person upgrade fee. I was so angry. We had already given our credit card and they charged it. I made my mind up. They were not going to get away with this. They told me in the beginning our conversation was recorded. I called the sales girl that called me the first day. She assured me she would get this fixed. The manager we spoke with the first day was on vacation so we ended up with another one who told us he would fix it. I kept saying our conversation was recorded, go back and review it. The first girl even admitted to me yes I was correct. We were told we could use the both certificates at no extra cost for Hawaii.

Then they sent me to a customer service manager who finally reviewed the recorded conversation and told yes I was correct. I was told I could do what I want to do as far as the 2 certificates and Hawaii. She went as far as saying she had highlighted all the things we were told and she was going to try and make them honor this. I also received another call from another man supervisor who told me he was a high level supervisor and he would get the bottom of this and make sure I would get what I was promised. I really thought he was going to do something.

It was about an hour later I received a call from yet another customer service manager who very rudely proceeded to inform me that she had refunded our money back on our card because they had reviewed the call and we were over-promised something they could not give us. I said, "No. I want what I was promised." She said no again and I said, "So I get nothing for all the time I wasted on the phone." She informed me that my money would be back on my card in 7 to 10 days. I was lied to by approximately 5 people who kept saying, "We know how you feel and we are going to make this right". I hope my money is back on my card as she said it would. Would have loved to had what I was promised but again this is so typical of RCI. I should have known better.

Can't get any response via e-mail after multiple attempts. I have tried three times to contact customer service to have a simple question answered. All that I have received in response is the automated response indicating that they have received my email. I have checked my spam folder to make sure it isn't getting re-directed. We have had very mixed results with RCI on other issues, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Vacation Village at Bonaventure - We gave them 2 hours of our time. They wouldn't take no for an answer. Juan understood we weren't buying RCI but the pit bull lady wasn't letting it go. Only when my husband finally said we're done and told them they needed to honor their part by giving us our so called gift for sitting through their presentation did we finally get out. Very, very, very pushy and very rude. Never again.

Our first experience was not bad. Not good by any means, but not bad. They pretended to be helpful, and to care but were quick to point out that everything that we were told when we were sold our timeshare was a lie. Shocking. Even our contract, which we read, was not valid. Because NOWHERE in our contract did it even mention that we would be required to pay RCI annually in order to even use our timeshare. Awesome huh?

Fast forward a year. The worst thing you can possibly try to do with RCI is "trade" your week (if you are on the week system) or exchange your points. Be prepared to PAY, PAY, PAY. There is a fee for absolutely everything. There is a fee to call (if you book), there is a fee to exchange, there is a fee to upgrade, there is a fee to downgrade. Honestly, if you can imagine it, there is a fee. Keep in mind, these are all in addition to the annual fee that you have to pay to RCI just for kicks. And NEVER let your "membership" with RCI expire because there is apparently NO WAY to reinstate your membership. You would think there would just be another exorbitant fee, but no, you just can never be an RCI member ever again. Aww, boo! Now we get to have the fun experience of selling our timeshare because we can do nothing with it.

So, in short, I have no idea how anyone has ever had a positive experience. I honestly have to guess that those few positive reviews must be posted by RCI employees. I do not know anyone who has had a positive experience. All the other timeshare owners I have talked with (in person and online) have nothing good to say about RCI. Too bad. I hope that RCI takes an interest in all these negative reviews and potential future consumers pay attention and are warned.

The best way to book - Call with your vacation number (if possible). I usually don't! Know what and where you want to go. You have to call at least 3 months out, 6 is better. But I have called in two weeks out. Your dues have to be paid and your maintenance fees before your booking date. I usually pay them at the same time I'm making my reservation. I hated this company until I learned how to use it!

When you call go through your home base, that is where you own, not where you bought! Do your homework and it will work. We stayed in Florida close to Disneyworld for a week and it cost $100 fee and $25.00 cleaning fee. I got the $100. Back the day I left in cash. The week cost $25.00 for two condos connected! So stop bitching and do your homework. You can always cancel. Four days in Vegas for 7,000 points, That's almost free! I hated this company the first few years.

We are RCI vacation club members but have not used the club points yet. I tried to login to my account and could not login so I call customer service for help. I was told that my membership was canceled as of June 2013. I said how could that be because we were never notified of when the fee was due. They said they notified me via email several times. I asked for verification of the email address which does match my current email. I asked if they called or sent a letter, no they only use email. Notifying only via email is very unreliable. People do change email addresses from time to time. If in fact they did notify me via email I never received them. You would think they would send a letter or call. We also belong to Interval International and have never missed our dues because they send a bill once a year.

I know many people are not happy with their membership, RCI charges so many fees. When you transfer your points that are expiring from Wyndham to RCI there is a fee. If your membership allows less or more than 7 nights you pay a housekeeping fee. When you arrive at the resort, you pay an exchange fee, a protection fee that they don't mention to you, they just bundle at the end, and if you are allowing a guest or your son who is not on the deed, you pay a guest fee. If you book an all-inclusive resort YOU CAN NOT use your points towards it, you will be paying those nightly or weekly fees to the resort, and all-inclusive ONLY includes meals and drinks, it does not include your flight. Oh and if you make the reservation by phone there is an extra fee. It's cheaper booking online, I am not 100% if that has been changed but as of Dec. 2016 you paid $10 more when booking through the phone. As you see, there are fees for everything.

We found these scammers on Craigslist, offering a one night hotel stay with a bottle of wine, chocolates (from the Dollar Tree!) and a rose for attending a seminar. We have done these before so we knew what we walking into. (Just wanted the free gift.) Upon arrival we were asked if we could come back in the morning as there was probably a two-hour wait (because people weren't buying fast enough). Turns out it was less than a ten-minute wait. The first hour was entertaining as we just messed with the guy, but as the second hour commenced and all he could talk about was himself it got less and less fun. He kept referring to "points". As in we'd need 149000 points for such and such a stay. Then he'd look at us like we should be really impressed!! Wtf. We had no idea what a point was worth... he never did give us any actual dollar amounts.

He couldn't find any states on a map. He had no idea what was inside his sales booklet. He literally talked about himself and his "accomplishments" for 90% of the seminar. I had read reviews on this place so I knew they weren't any good and the reviews were accurate. As soon as he realized we weren't biting (it took over two hours for him to come to this decision) he turned into a jerk and "excused" us. He did give us a tour of the "resort" they wanted us to buy into. He kept telling us we'd see they were million dollar homes... they were not! More like $120,000 homes, if that. Ceilings were coming detached from walls. Inside of closet entire was cracked and falling apart. This place is a joke. A huge scam. Stay away! Unless like us, you have nothing better to do but screw with timeshare salesmen for free gifts! ;) Absolutely ridiculous!

Used our timeshare at Grandview at Las Vegas last week to find in addition to being charged an increased exchange fee, the RCI magazine (their advertising vessel), an upgrade in membership to get access to wider inventory, fee for non-owners to use the unit and a charge for not using points last year, they tacked on a charge for internet and room safe that we did not use. They truly seem to be nickel and diming us without any restrictions. This one-week of vacation that costs significantly on the onset now costs much more than can be gotten without being an owner. Where did the advantage go? The whole premise stinks.

Spoke to Tracy in customer service. She is a "supervisor". She did not listen to anything I was saying but kept interrupting me in mid sentence. I guess she decided to get on the offensive before I could explain my problem with RCI. All Tracy did was get me on the defensive, I guess she is trained not to answer any questions. I eventually got tired of being interrupted and hanged up.

Flexibility is the key to successfully using RCI. If you want a specific place at a specific time you will likely be disappointed. If you are flexible it can work well. I have two weeks not points. I own at a specific resort in the Bluegreen system. I have flex time. I call 12 months in advance and pick a week. RCI has a calculator that shows me the value of each week so I get a week that has the most value. Originally you did not see properties more valuable than yours. RCI changed and assigns a value. You can for a fee combine points to get better and if the exchange is less you get to keep the excess points. I have been to Galveston, Santa Fe, Hawaii, Spain, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Carolinas, Utah, Sedona.

This place is literally filled by maggots of the Earth. I hope that anyone prior to buying into the vast amount of lies that everyone at this place spews reviews this. NOT only is the free cruise that is suppose to come whether you sign up or not FILLED with loads of excess fees which everyone in that place knows of and hides away from but their point system, availability, and fees for worldwide reservations far surpass the actual cost of the reservation from the direct resort/hotel. Me and my husband thankfully but still arrogantly signed up for a 1 year package at about $1K and we have both wiped our ** with it.

Anyone who works there should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of individuals looking to travel more and straight up LIE about this program. They have all inclusive resorts that range in points from 7,500 - 60,000 but they are going to sell you on the 7500 one and not show you that the resort fee will range from $120 - $ 750/ PER DAY PER PERSON!!!

We have been blessed in our ability to travel over the years and thought this was a great offer and very flexible. DO NOT BE FOOLED... from the fake faced, plastic surgery beast that presents on how she survived Jersey to the manager who acts like he wants to recruit you for a job and SAVE from a mistake these people are SCUM!!! They only travel because they take advantage and reap the commission off of feeding you lies. You are absolutely disgusting and the resorts they work with know it.

Give them a call - they know this program is so shady that when you call and ask the manager about why your membership is more expensive than having just booked directly with them they explain "how many people have fallen for that scheme." We want to know why everyone is so angry and there is a lack of trust in this society. It's because people who work for companies take your dreams, rap them in toilet paper, and flush it.

We had the unfortunate experience of taking a room at Vacation Village in Weston Florida. The room was offered by the Florida Visitor's Center and Royal Seas cruises, and was basically given to us for the cost of the room taxes only, provided we listened to a Timeshare presentation from them. This all came to us by phone after committing to a cruise on Royal Seas. The allure of the room and our boarding passes being given to us at the presentation was enough to make us commit to the presentation.

I have never been submitted to a more intense, intimidating, and outright bullying presentation in my life. I come from a lifelong career in sales and sales management and know a predatory presentation when I hear one. This was absolutely disgusting and very scheming. We were shown around the property for nearly two hours and then taken back to the sell center after demanding the rep take us there so we can get through the financials and get out of there. He was so ignorant of our time constraints. When we finally got back to the sales center, the costs were given to us. The costs started out at over $28,000, plus $700 for maintenance, plus taxes, for a one week timeshare at Vacation Village in Weston, in a condo we were told sold for $1.5M. No proof of this sales cost estimate was given. We immediately turned it down and asked for our boarding passes so we could get on our way.

We were turned over to an even higher pressure individual who found an amazing bargain for three different packages of three weeks each, at an Atlantic timeshare resort operated by Vacation Village, for an amazing $12,000 each, plus $1400 total for maintenance, plus taxes. Again we said no. They did not stop. They pushed and pushed beyond belief to get us to sign for one of the three, or why wouldn't we buy all three. We constantly told them timeshares, based on our lifestyle, time of life, and other residential property interests, was not for us. Give us our boarding passes and we will be on our way. We were now passed on to an even more intense, last gasp sales specialist, who came up with three weeks on the Atlantic coast for $5999, plus $199 maintenance. How could we refuse. We did and now demanded to get out of there and away from the scum that they are.

He finally, reluctantly relented and sent us to another desk where our "vouchers" for the cruise were given to us. We felt absolutely disgusted by this presentation and felt it is nothing more than predatory selling practices of the highest degree. Particularly considering when we arrived at the cruise departure port of West Palm Beach, we were never asked for the voucher from RCI as we were already confirmed in our dealings directly with Royal Seas cruises. Other than getting a room for minimum price from another marketing company, Royal Seas had nothing to do with the timeshare presentation and in no way was our boarding of the cruise dependent upon us attending a timeshare presentation. I will never again frequent a property, owned, managed, or affiliated with either Vacation Village, or RCI. Their sales practices are despicable to say the least.

I have experienced almost everything so many other people are experiencing. I am still paying for membership and loan payment but have not yet reserved a vacation. I am so frustrated and so angry that I didn't review sites like this before suckered into this scam. Please Please Please... I hope to get together and STOP this company from doing this to other people and at least get our money back by hiring a law firm as a group. Let's stand up for our loss.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.
  • Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.
  • Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.
  • Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.
  • Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.
  • Best for Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with disposable income.

Compare Timeshares