1.17/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

600 RCI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We were on a trade from RCI. The resort was OK. Not many amenities for our taste. Pools were small and shallow. Most of the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. What I can confirm, in reading other reviews, is that there is a high pressure sales component and the individual we had a meeting with, after over 2 hours (was supposed to be 90 minutes) was visibly upset we did not purchase their deal. I can confirm there was no contract presented, actually nothing on paper documenting what they promised and they PROMISED a lot. I asked for documentation or to review a contract but was refused. Ding, ding, ding - DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I am not happy with RCI but at least they are upfront with their fees and restrictions.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

As you may know, RCI launched Club365 in 2017. The actual club website is here: www.theclub365.com. You will pay around $2,000+ USD to purchase access into this club. After logging in, you will notice the scam I fell for. This website is simply a collection of website links. Links which you can access directly without even having to log in or purchase the program!!! Most people won't notice this immediately, because they are not computer savvy as I am.

Here is an example: When you click on PREFERRED STAYS, you will be redirected here: https://www.mywebrez.com/preferred. When you click on GETAWAY STAYS, you will be redirected here: https://www.mywebrez.com/getaway. Please try going to these links directly and you will see you can purchase directly on these links without having to buy Club365. As an outsider, you get the EXACT SAME benefits as a paying member. RCI is desperate for business and launched a website intended to defraud customers for a quick buck.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We stayed at Tahiti Village in Las Vegas. Attended what was to be a 90 minute seminar. We were lied to by the agent and her manager. First, we were told the timeshare was all up and down the California coast, it's not. Second we were made to believe that we were paying a 1 time payment upfront, not the case. Third we purchased 15K points for 1 year. Very slim pickings with just 15K points, maybe 1-2 properties. Most require 30K points. Lastly, the availability of the properties are horrible. Something I asked upfront because I was a 1000 Trails owner and ran into the same issue. We've had this membership for over a year now and continue to pay and have NEVER been able to use it. Save your money and take your trip yourself. DO NOT USE RCI.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I traveled with my younger son to Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata. He had heart surgery a few years ago, and we just found out that he has to have another surgery soon. So, my loving older son (which this crap belongs to) suggested that we go to Puerto Plata to relax...didn't happen, from unwanted tours - to changing our "room" 3 different times, is not relaxing. First room air conditioner was not working correctly. We had water literally all over the floor, and it was freezing! The next room, the toilet overflowed and was stopped up, not to mention with fecal matter, the next room the shower was not working properly, etc. I mentioned room in quotations because "we" were told we would be in a villa!

Also we are vegans, so eating was a challenge, the food at best was just ok... Our original check in was December 17th, because we missed our connection in Miami, and had to stay in a Marriott suites. This was the best part of our vacation, that room by comparison was way better! Finally, the pics, etc look nothing like the resort. I think it's a case of "bait and switch". I really think a member from RCI should visit this so call resort in person to see. And even other guests were complaining, saying they could not wait to get home!

Lastly, it's not a good idea to force guests to take the Liberty whatever tour, because it really clarifies and sets the tone of how crappy our room really was... How are you trying to get me to purchase more, when what my son has is a Hott mess! Bottom line, me and my son went down to relax, none of that happened! My son was stressed the whole time, did not want to leave the room. I think my older son paid for better accommodations, but we got the worse... SMH.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I booked a timeshare unit online in New Bern NC on September 17th. I was charged $205.00 for the booking. Hurricane Florence had already flooded this unit two days prior to the booking but this fact was not disclosed at the time of the transaction. RCI would not return my money citing a 'policy' that referred to a natural disaster. That policy was intended for units booked weeks or months ahead of the disaster NOT for booking a unit that had already been flooded and was not really available. I was given a 30 day window to rebook at another resort but since my home was also flooded it was impossible for me to 'take a vacation' during the allotted time. RCI refused to return my money, credit it to my account, or extend the window of time for rebooking. Basically I was sold a 'pig in a poke.'

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We went to the Grandview Hotel on a presentation and ended up buying a 11,000 time share. We were so lied too! The sales woman and all of her managers including the lady that had us sign all the papers were so certain that we were going to love this purchase. They told us lies and more lies and everything we wanted to hear. We paid our down payment at the sales meeting where I was given my sales woman's phone number to call her with any needs. Then came home and refinanced at my local bank to pay off the mortgage in full. Before we paid it off the sales team answered my text and calls. She was very nice. Then take a guess, after the mortgage was paid in full NO ONE will talk to me.

I have tried to call the reservation number and nothing we were told is an option. They have no idea what we were promised. I was even hung up on when I talked to one of the managers and I was upset that we had been taken for a ride and lied to to buy this timeshare. He said, "You signed the contract and basically it is your problem." We are just middle class working people. Worst mistake of my life and now we are stuck to pay 300.00 a year in fees. Do not do business with this company. They are a bunch of lying thugs that will tell you anything until they get you to sign a bunch of papers you don't understand! Oh and by the way they never told us we had 7 days to change our mind but it was in the contract just so you know.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Impossible to book dates. Impossible and awkward system. Our prime week and 3 bedroom condo was magically changed to a week in Oct and a 2 bedroom condo. Thousands and thousands of dollars for nothing. We have had this RCI membership 1998. Keep thinking we will use it when we retire, when we have nothing but time to fiddle with scheduling a vacation 2-3 years out or figuring out points and weeks and membership fees.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have been with RCI for almost 28 years since we first purchased our timeshare in the Canary Islands. Overall our experience with RCI has been okay when it has been used on our terms. I am also a travel consultant (for the past 10 years) so I know a travel deal when one is on the table. Now to be fair/transparent we use our weeks typically by exchanging them for weeks elsewhere. And I know which resorts are in high demand and which ones are not. Plus when to go, for example, we just used 3 banked weeks for a group of 9 people to the Hilton Grand Vacations in Vegas first week of December.

But we had booked the three units 2- two and 1x one bedroom in November 2017 a little over a year ago. And the units and property was idea and value for money (exchange fees) excellent when split between 9 people. The property was bang in the middle of the strip. If you receive one of their calls when you return from an exchange about a fabulous Travel package which includes a cruise and a week at a resort and what seems to be endless credits. Beware or at least understand the small prints. For example, the latest calls talk about air credit for $1600. Beware as the cruise accommodation is an inside cabin and depending upon cruise line you may end shelling out more money. Especially if you are a balcony individual. Air Credit will be in the cheapest economy category and again you may find added charges.

So my review is more about educating consumers just be careful when purchasing one of these what seems to be an excellent vacation package deals. Enter into that deal, knowing that you will be locked in. You won't be able to get any help from the Cruise line in question, especially if the cruise line offers additional promotions like Onboard credits or drink packages etc.

Ask the RCI sales person selling you the package, what category of stateroom on the ship it covers, what cruise dates it covers. Ie does it cover the holiday sailings? And for the airfare what class of airfare can it be used against. We have chosen to decline as we are picky on when we go and also stateroom category, resorts and class of air. Otherwise - RCI is okay if you "work the system" and book well ahead of time.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We have been an owner since 2009. The maintenance fees have been steadily going up. In the past for years they have increased by 26%. It’s cheaper to book a week's stay if I were not an owner! So take in this price type of price gouging before buying!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I don't even know where to start. But I am so glad I found you guys to vent to! When we bought our timeshare in St. Thomas in 93, RCI was so accommodating. No problem trading to Hawaii (due to a hurricane) it was on a trade week system not points. The past 10 years have been challenging and although we have stayed at some really nice properties, as of today, we actually have to cancel our vacation because they have absolutely nothing, and don't give me this "You waited too long to book", never happened before. When you mention how the RCI participating properties have decreased (just look at the skinny book we are now sent compared to the ones we use to receive) they say, "We have so many more customers". Really? Not according to the numerous complaints I've read on different sites.

Seriously, just had an agent say this today. If you want to be on a standby, or extend a search, you have to pay, go over your points for the year (even though you have enough) you have to pay. Want to combine the weeks, you have to pay. Want to cruise or go to an all inclusive? End up paying more than you would through a travel agent or travel site plus pay your transfer fees to RCI. Crazy! So what can we do? My advice to potential timeshare owners... first of all don't buy one, but if you do, make sure it's somewhere you want to go again and again because joining and trading through RCI is a big mistake you will regret.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

They tell you whatever to get you to sign up and then you're stuck. Read ALL FINE PRINT, before you sign anything. No matter what they tell you. If I could give 0 stars, I would. It is difficult to receive assistance when you actually have a problem. I was told MANY lies when I joined the membership. The representatives in customer care are doing nothing to resolve my issues and are not empathetic towards me about the lousy service I received or the lies I was told. I was told I am unable to cancel this membership and they threatened to put membership fee dues on my credit when I ask to cancel.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Stay away. We purchased a timeshare from TLC (tied to RCI) in Orlando during a presentation. To sign up for the timeshare, we were given 3 "free" coupons (a 7 nights cruise, 2 days las Vegas and a free trip to a destination in US). All of which, when we tried to claim - weren't free. We were told to pay upfront and plus plus charges and were forced to upgrade, if we wanted to use it, etc. Secondly, during the presentation, we were shown a website of RCI and their resorts worldwide. Wow. We signed up right away. Big mistake. A 5000$ mistake. The timeshare comes with 10,000 points a year which when we tried to redeem - they were trying to upsell all the time.

Whatever place we wanted to book was "unavailable". When you tried to exchange the points in the RCI website - nothing was available. By this point we felt something was fishy. We got calls after calls from RCI trying to sell us more vacations at "member prices". So, end result = we lost 5000$. This is called institutionalized cheating. These companies thrive in America! What does this say about the country?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Let me start off with how my husband and I came across Wyndham timeshare etc. We were in Vegas for a couple of days so as we walked around and were suddenly approached by a "motivated" yappy, con-man from Wyndham Resorts. Yes, I know what you're thinking now, we should have seen all the RED FLAGS as soon as we set eyes on this guy's pathetic persistence to get us to see a presentation at Wyndham. We should have known that anyone who entices you to make a deal on the spot is a fraud. They are the fast talkers, the manipulators, and the conmen who have no soul. The ones who are strikingly similar to a chameleon.

I am writing this review to warn honest, hard-working people out there so you can be informed about what type of scams are promoted in our country and are under the guise of an "investment". One thing is clear, this offer that Wyndham presents is not an investment; it does not gain any value whatsoever, but they will LIE to your face and say that it does gain value. Please do not fall victim to this type of scam unless you are willing to pay maintenance fees every month in addition to the high costs of the timeshare "ownership".

WARNING: You do not own anything that has any value because you cannot sell it back to the resort, even if you pay off the entire purchase price and are in good standing with the company! Wyndham is a FRAUD and should be sued for misleading people. Clearly, this is not an investment that will give you an ROI back! NOTE: If I could sue this company, I would in a heartbeat. In fact, if there are any reputable lawyers out there who are willing to take on the case, then please let me know. Wyndham needs to take accountability for their actions, and all those who paid their "ownership" in full should be able to redeem their money back, especially when you are LIED to.

So, YES, I refer to this company (there are more out there) as a SCAM. The representatives LIE and are highly unethical. They are full of crap and should be sued for misrepresentation of their company's offers and how they scam people into bottomless contracts. We paid a lot of money for this CRAP, and now they won't even let us get our hard-earned money back, let alone even a portion of it! We don't even use the timeshare because they never have any availability when and if we do even travel. How ** if you ask me. This is criminal. Any American citizen should have the right to get their money back from wrongful sellers who lie to make a profit.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Called and spoke to individual - she was supposed to send info re Alaska cruise. Not responding. Emailed customer service - not responding. This has happened before. Not a very responsible organization. How do you get them to cooperate?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

RCI does nothing to make the customer happy. A few weeks ago, they tried telling us that our deposit was never done. It took about 5 phone calls to RCI and our home resort and it was our home resort that realized we did deposit it, we had combined weeks. I kept getting emails from RCI telling us it was never deposited. Very unprofessional company and never does anything to accommodate the customer.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been an RCI member for many years. I have had positive experiences with them in the past, but the last few years, the company has many scams going on. When you look for a vacation resort on their website, there is never anything available in your timeframe, but miraculously when you get an agent on the line, lo and behold there just so happens to be one available. The problem is, it is a run down, $50 per night hotel room quite far from the destination you are requesting. Meanwhile, I deposited a $900 value, 2 bedroom unit in a highly sought after vacation destination and the agent is frustrated and doesn't understand why I don't want to waste my $900 value exchange on a run down hotel I can book on Hotels.com for $50 a night.

My last resort I checked into in Florida was so dirty and run down, I checked out early. 3. They have a gotcha on everything. Combine weeks, points, extend, trade, all fees that mount on top of your membership fees. Adding hundreds of dollars to your vacation value that you are probably never going to recoup. This is so disappointing for the timeshare industry. I now find I just keep my unit and visit my home resort each year to at least get my monies worth.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My wife and I took my parents on an Alaskan cruise. The flight RCI had booked us on was canceled. RCI did not notify us of the cancellation. They did nothing to fix the problem and we spent one night in the airport in Seattle. I had to purchase four new tickets from another airline that cost an additional $4700. RCI will not accept any of the responsibility. Instead they are blaming it all on me. Do absolutely nothing with RCI. They are the biggest joke ever!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

RCI requires you to deposit your time sharing vacation week BEFORE you can search for what is available to exchange. Once deposited, you can not get your week back. The problem is that almost nothing is available for popular places and times of the year. Consequently, it is very likely that you will deposit your week and be left with nowhere to go. In addition, RCI has a formula that calculates what your week is worth for an exchange - they call it "trading power" and it's based on demand for your unit and number of people it will sleep. If your unit isn't worth at least as much as the unit you want to exchange, you're out of luck. This means that even if you got incredibly lucky and found a place you wanted to go, you still might not be able to do the exchange. RCI is a high risk proposition and a formula for disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

RCI has devalued my week because I did not convert from the weeks' program to the point system. In order to receive previous benefits I had to become a Platinum Member... But the Platinum membership has done nothing for me, For the past 2 yrs I cannot get an internal exchange at my own resort, or in New Hampshire. When someone deposits a week, RCI can get more $ from rentals than from exchanges. This should be illegal. What I have decided to do is put my week into the rental program at my resort, when I am not using, and letting my RCI membership expire!!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Member since 1993 and am fed up!! Do Not get vacations you want. Always suggest a lesser one not popular location. Can't get Disney World but Wright's Dairy Farm is available! Always have to pay for something. Pay to deposit points and weeks, pay to use points and weeks, pay to have family use points and weeks, pay to have family check in before you under your reservation. Suggest resorts then have to pay to use all facilities. Over $150,000 paid in 25 years and still get the runaround and they keep increasing prices. BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT SIGN ON!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have seen other reviews of the same experience I have had with the RCI travel package group and had only wished I had read them before making the same mistake. I also bought a travel package for 1 premium cruise plus 1 week resort stay or 7 night Hawaii stay. When the dates were available, I found the premium cruise I wanted to book on the RCI travel packages site and contacted RCI to book it. The retail price of the cruise on the cruise lines website ended up being roughly $200 dollars more than what I paid per person through RCI, this was for a $3,960 dollar package. When I contacted RCI to ask when the credit for the cruise would be applied, no one could give me an answer.

I figured this was in process in their system and after several weeks, I got a notice from the cruise line I owed $5000 for the remaining balance on the cruise. I have yet to get any value for the certificate and the best explanations I can get from RCI (usually before getting disconnected) is that the cruise is not all the value of the certificate and the hotel resort stay and savings cash are also part of that value, which they are but apparently the cruise value is zero. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE. I have always had positive interactions with RCI when trying to trade or use trading power to find a resort but their sales are classic bait & switch.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have been so displeased with this package. Nothing was as described at the time of purchase. I was promised 2 cruises and one week at a resort. The first cruise (after adding service charge, port fees and taxes) was less than 200.00 than I had purchased it online. The port fees were double the amount that the cruise ship company charged. The number of free resorts drastically decreased over time. Many charged over 1,000.00 per week. I am able to get an extra week through RCI for less than 300.00 When questioned, I was told that RCI had no control over its inventory and that the resort set the prices.

Communication with the travel certificate department is difficult. If I called three times and was connected to three different agents... I received three different answers. In addition, after hearing my concerns, the agents often suggested that I expand my package (for an addition cost) so I could access more options. I have been a member of RCI for about 30 years. I have always been pleased with any interactions that I had. This experience has soured my opinion of RCI. I strongly recommend that you read the many negative reviews before considering the purchase of the travel certificates.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We just wanted to share our experience as RCI members this far- We purchased a 2 year membership and we were “sold” on the “unlimited availability” and “discount packages/potential”. We have attempted to book 4 trips with RCI in the 3 months since having our membership. 3 of the destinations there were “no available properties” and the 4th was to a resort in the Bahamas. Luckily we shopped around before booking with RCI, because it was CHEAPER to book directly with the resort. We regret purchasing this membership and would warn others considering to be cautious.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

This complaint is about my timeshare. I have a timeshare with RCI that I saw at Tahiti village. My payments go to the ASNY company LLC. 801 S. Rampart Blvd Ste 200 Las Vegas Nevada 89145 (702) 967-5000. I signed up March 21st, 2017. My problem is I'm paying over the amount I was prepared for. I feel I was tricked into becoming a member of RCI. I wasn't explained any numbers on the documents. I thought the papers would match what I had seen on the flyer and talked with Robert, the manager on the floor. So when I called him and asked him about my interest rates he said he couldn't help me and gave me a phone number. He said he had nothing to do with that. He was the one that had made it seem it was going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity that would cost 18,037.92. Because I have a big family I thought it was worth it. This is what I thought I was buying.

The sale price of the timeshare was 18,037.92 for a platinum membership with 800 dollars in savings dollars credit, a 183 dollar year RCI membership fee, with extension points up to 4 years; 47,700 points to use per year, a free week stay at Tahiti village also per year in a Bora Bora unit. This is what I read on a paper that I was signing up for. I gave a 1,860 dollar down payment on the 18,037.92 package deal amount. Since March 21st 2017 I have paid 3,267.93 dollars in interest to the day of 8/28/18. I found out about the money going to interest, when I called a number from RCI and got a website from them to find my payment statements. I would only get a call from RCI if I didn't have enough money on my account for the monthly payment, but never monthly statements. After my downpayment my loan amount was 16,729. My statement says I still owe 16177.92.

Of all the payments I've made, 551 dollars have gone to the loan amount. 6,089.55 money has gone to interest and fees in a little over two years and 5 months. I have paid Tahiti 961.62 in "fees" over letters in the mail. I never have stayed at Tahiti. I have not used any points on RCI, any "savings dollars", which I never received. I haven't stayed at Tahiti once. Now Tahiti wants 591.76 in more " fees" according to a letter I got in the mail recently. Sadly I paid it because no one could help me waive the fee at explain anything. RCI wants 213 dollars for an annual membership fee that was supposedly 183 when I signed up. Luckily I have all the paperwork together.

I went to a banker and they couldn't make sense of my loan calculations contract. Looks like this: Loan calculations Total payments 36,212.40, Finance charges 19,482.46, Amount financed 16,729, Annual percentage rate 17.62, Total interest rate 116.46. I want my contract canceled. I do not want to pay any more fees or membership payments. I have paid too much money for nothing, every month with automatic payments. I want my membership with RCI and Tahiti canceled. With the cancellation I want to have some type of payment for all the money I've given. For all the payments I have made, I want one free week at Tahiti. 800 dollars in savings dollars credit that I'm owed. 95,400 points on RCI to use through June 31st, 2019. I would just take my money back but I assume that's not possible.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

You have a dedicated week. If you reserve your already dedicated week 16 months in advances it will be lost if you don t call back 12-13 month prior. Then why does your contract say you have this week reserved (period). Refunds must be made in 24 hours. You cannot used the seize money for another trip. Every damn call is... "Would you like to renew for a year or two." They push this. Customer service is brain dead and of 0 help. Buying vacations straight out without RCI is much much cheaper. Don’t use them!!! You will be sorry.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

You always have to pin RCI down to the last penny IN WRITING. They will flat out lie. I was told the price of the cruise certificate would all go towards cruise I chose. Not true at all. About $1,000 went towards the resort benefits. Having read other reviews, I am also going to ask for specifics in writing about any other pass through fees. I will say when I found the cruise cheaper, they did honor that. We like the same resort and were able to get our extra weeks at a premium time. Read all reviews and ask every last detail. Ask for everything in writing.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Customer service complaint: don’t ever use RCI travel to book a cruise. It’s a fraud, customer service is not there for the customer. Our cruise was canceled by Norwegian Cruise line without RCI notifying us of any discrepancies. I could not get any information from RCI and therefore needed to contact the Cruise line directly, of course Norwegian Cruise line could not assist me because I had booked through RCI. After approximately four hours on hold over the past week RCI customer service has still been unable to assist us. Customer service supervisor Cathrine (I can’t confirm this is your title) that’s what she claims she is, has been working with the cruise line since last Sunday. She cannot get anything resolved, and therefore I am told has transferred it to her supervisor, of which I cannot get the name or contact information for.

Today after 2 1/2 hours on hold (Because I refused to hang up until someone could assist me) I was transferred to a department called “Office of the president”. Don’t let the department name fool you! Sharon **, Is another customer service rep, that couldn’t even tell me the president’s name of the company office she represents! When asked who her supervisor was I was told her customer service manager Simone **, was unavailable because she was on an extended leave. When I asked whom I could speak with to get my travel plans completed I was told that it could not be resolved at this time. What does RCI travel only have one customer service manager? Our cruise scheduled for October 6, 2018 out of Honolulu Hawaii, we live in Dallas Texas, how does RCI expect us to have our travel plans set to get to Honolulu?

We are beyond frustrated with RCI travel. We have been RCI members 15 years, to the highest level they offer and honestly 10’s of thousands of dollars have been paid to RCI. Have received the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Customer service supervisors and managers should always be available for customers! Is that not their purpose? Is that not what RCI travel brags about! It should not take five days for someone to transfer you to a department that you were led to believe has decision-making capability when in actuality you’re being transferred to another customer service representative that has no more authority than the first person picked up the phone days earlier. The only thing I experienced with my calls being escalated… Was the attitude of the customer service representative deteriorating because of their poor attitude, inabilities to resolve simple issues and poor communication skills.

Bottom line RCI Travel It’s not keep its commitment of excellent customer service, in fact they have no customer service. Warning warning warning… Keep away from using RCI travel services. If you get referred to “The office of the president“ you are being passed to the person in the cubicle next-door who can’t resolve your problem and has no additional answers and the initial person that answered the phone. Very very sad state of affairs for number one travel timeshare company in the United States! Makes you want to rethink do I really want to keep my timeshares!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

RCI was great at one time. Then the Wyndham "thieves" took over. All rates never stop going up. Limited hours to contact RCI. Not open Sunday when you have a few minutes to plan a vacation. They give away vacations you put on 24 hour hold well before the 24 hr deadline...probably had a chance to RENT IT. Want to let your grown kids use it...have to pay more more for a guest pass...ridiculous. Try to find an exchange at a decent resort. Good luck. But I promise you Wyndham will have units available for rent. Just nothing for we exchangers. What a SCAM. I BELIEVE THEY GOT SUED FOR THIS but it didn't slow them down apparently. How can you have Extra Vacations at a resort but nothing available at the same time for exchange? Hmmm...very interesting!

You used to be able to get a 2 bedroom in many areas such as Las Vegas. It was great if you were traveling with friends. Now all the lock off units are exchanged separately or rented. Doubles Wyndham's revenues. Their mission statement is: GREED. SCREW THE CUSTOMER. MAKE THEM BUY A PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP OR THEY WILL GET NOTHING! I Have owned timeshare since 1982 and have enjoyed it a lot until the "Crooks" took over. When you talk to other owners at a resort, boy do they get riled up. Everyone feels the same way. I haven't heard anything good said about RCI in a number of years. Prices go up, service goes down. Way down. Ask RCI for help with an issue, either no response or no help whatsoever.

RCI used to take care of its owners when they had a problem with a resort. I also think resorts must PAY FOR THEIR RATING because I've gone to a lot of top rated lousy resorts. Other resorts have no rating and are really nice. These are strictly my opinions and experiences with the "new" RCI. Hopefully you will have great luck. It really did used to be a wonderful experience. I will say that most of the RCI customer service people are fantastic. You can tell that they Want to help you but apparently company policy won't give them much latitude to help an owner.

Original review: June 30, 2018

PLEASE READ AND TAKE IN CONSIDERATION. First and foremost let me start off by saying this company is by far the worst company to ever purchase a vacation package from. Me and my husband paid $2,600 for the entire package. We booked a 7 day resort stay in Cancun Mexico for me, my husband, and children. I called back to change our destination because of the killings that have been going on in the tourist area and their supervisor did not accommodate the destination change because we didn’t pay a cancellation fee. What the supervisor of this company did do is speak over me every time I needed to speak, asked what channel this news was on, recommended us to send another friend to take our package if we didn’t want to go and tried to tell us about the dangers going on in the United States which still at the end of the day did not try to make their customers satisfied as if we did not just pay $2600.

They prefer to keep your money and recommend you to send other friends and family to risk their safety. I would never send myself or friends and family anywhere where they have innocent tourists being killed. Even a politician was reported killed there. Again the money was the least of our concern. We wanted a destination change and we were willing to pay a cancellation fee just to go somewhere safe for us and our children. Do not make the mistake of purchasing with this company. We have booked with better companies that never gave us this hard of a time and unprofessionalism.

We even recommended 4 friends to this company who purchased the package as well and that was the worst decision because they have had several minor issues with their packages. The supervisor of this company I spoke to needs better training and should be demoted because she did not come off as someone professional or someone that sounded like they cared about the customers' safety but more of money hungry and uneducated. Do not throw your money away with RCI travel packages. Save your money and your safety.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My father in law owns the account with RCI. Six months ago he added his son and I to the account. RCI said that he must send a death certificate for his wife in order to remove her as an owner from the account and that we would be added in her place. My husband and I called today to book a vacation. We have two weeks. First problem, we were not on the account. However we provided the account info and explained our relationship to the account holder and they allowed us to continue without issue. They informed us that to book the location we wanted, we would have to combine our weeks and pay $180 for a combination fee. We said we'd discuss and call back later. We called back deciding to go ahead and combine the two weeks. Again it was not an issue that my husband and I were not on the account.

They charged us the $180, then informed us it would be an additional $300 for the exchange fee on top of the week combination fee. Tired of talking to RCI and really needing that specific location for those specific dates, we asked them to go ahead and book the 2 bedroom and gave them the card info. I supplied my email address so that I'd also receive a confirmation email. The email was never sent to me. My father's husband called us and informed us it was only for 1 bedroom, not the 2 we requested. We called RCI back to get it fixed and they refused to speak with us about the account because we were not account holders. Why is it that for the first two calls we had no issues and they were willing to take our money, but the second we tried to fix their error with a third call they would not speak with us?

We tried to add the account owner to the call but the call dropped. The owner is now on the phone with them demanding that they give us the 2 bedroom we originally requested. I will be selling this timeshare the second that booked vacation is over. In total, we paid $400 per year for maintenance fees. Because we had to combine two weeks to get the location we wanted that's $800, plus the $180 combination fee, plus the $300 exchange fee. That's a total of $1,300 for this one location. It's not worth it. Avoid this company like the plague unless you plan on going to the same location every year.

RCI expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of Lisa Ann Schreier
    Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

RCI Company Information