1.40/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

571 RCI Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 15, 2018

My father in law owns the account with RCI. Six months ago he added his son and I to the account. RCI said that he must send a death certificate for his wife in order to remove her as an owner from the account and that we would be added in her place. My husband and I called today to book a vacation. We have two weeks. First problem, we were not on the account. However we provided the account info and explained our relationship to the account holder and they allowed us to continue without issue. They informed us that to book the location we wanted, we would have to combine our weeks and pay $180 for a combination fee. We said we'd discuss and call back later. We called back deciding to go ahead and combine the two weeks. Again it was not an issue that my husband and I were not on the account.

They charged us the $180, then informed us it would be an additional $300 for the exchange fee on top of the week combination fee. Tired of talking to RCI and really needing that specific location for those specific dates, we asked them to go ahead and book the 2 bedroom and gave them the card info. I supplied my email address so that I'd also receive a confirmation email. The email was never sent to me. My father's husband called us and informed us it was only for 1 bedroom, not the 2 we requested. We called RCI back to get it fixed and they refused to speak with us about the account because we were not account holders. Why is it that for the first two calls we had no issues and they were willing to take our money, but the second we tried to fix their error with a third call they would not speak with us?

We tried to add the account owner to the call but the call dropped. The owner is now on the phone with them demanding that they give us the 2 bedroom we originally requested. I will be selling this timeshare the second that booked vacation is over. In total, we paid $400 per year for maintenance fees. Because we had to combine two weeks to get the location we wanted that's $800, plus the $180 combination fee, plus the $300 exchange fee. That's a total of $1,300 for this one location. It's not worth it. Avoid this company like the plague unless you plan on going to the same location every year.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have owned with RCI for 20 years and in that time have managed to make some exchanges and travel but with crazy costs. Now I'm booking a trip more than 15 months in advance and their cancellation policy states you lose your money by the end of the day of booking! So I book today for a trip in September of 2019 to VA and I lose all my money if I have an emergency or need to make a change in travel? That is a ridiculous practice!!! Their "insurance" only covers point return, who gives a crap about points? We work hard to save for vacation, I want the option to be get a refund if I find out I can't travel.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We visited Hawaii recently and I had booked a room at Aston Kona by the Sea through RCI Platinum. It had good reviews and fit our needs perfectly. Until we arrived late one night on April 18. We were very disappointed in RCI partnership property and the customer service we received from RCI when attempting to cancel. The rooms had mold in many places, the shower was dirty, and the rooms had a horrible odor to them. The mold and dirt were fighting with my allergies.

When I called RCI, we were told there was nothing they could do as we used points ($300 dollars worth and paid $2100 in credit card). One week later, I did finally receive a voicemail from Roberto at RCI that RCI would be reimbursing the "unused" portion of my stay (6 nights). This was satisfactory to me. I waited for the charge to be reversed for weeks. Finally, once connecting with Roberto again, he said they couldn't credit my charge card so they would be sending a check. I am still waiting, nearly 7 weeks later.

We will not be renewing our membership with RCI as the customer service was rude and the solution was unacceptable. Basically, we were out $2100 and went to a different hotel. We stayed one night as we didn’t get in until 8 pm. The staff at the hotel were nice but the accommodations were substandard and have changed my views on RCI properties. We have been loyal customers for years. Unfortunately, customer satisfaction does not mean much to your company. So disappointed in RCI.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Be careful when purchasing a cruise certificate through RCI. They have limited access to all ships and you will definitely pay a premium! They tell you all kinds of wonderful things about how you are saving money, but it's false. We ended up paying $430 per person over what we could have booked the same cruise through the actual cruise line. It took months for them to find us something because every cruise "expert" you talk to wants to up-sell you! BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We got into RCI 22 years ago. Have seen nothing but scams, a revamped system that cost us $$$ thousands more that was supposed to be new and improved that never really worked out either. They said the new system was the way to go, give them more $$$ or be left out in the cold. Costs of trading that continually rise. Do not buy a timeshare, you can find great travel deals on your own using Google and searching for condos. By the time you pay your maintenance fees,(Which never cease to stop increasing), pay your RCI membership, (Which never stops increasing), and pay your exchange fee to RCI, (which never stops increasing) on top of your original purchase price of your condo, you can vacation cheaper without belonging. WORLD'S biggest SCAM!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Met up with RCI team. Great sales pitch. I mean who doesn’t want to save money on travel. We were close to signing up then thought we would quickly check some reviews. Best thing we did because even though it sounded great at the time, we would not have been happy not being able to book accom when we needed it or finding out that there were extra hidden costs which would have been a nightmare and a bad investment. Interesting that the original cost was $21,000. When we asked for discount it came down to $16,000. Feedback saved us.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I'm a current member and would advise anyone not to purchase this membership. They lock you into a 45-year contract and you cannot book a stay when you need to, or where you want to. Customer service is terrible and that patch you around to the wrong departments. The program is the complete opposite of what was presented during the presentation; RUN and RUN FAST, it's not worth the paper it was printed on. I wish I would have NEVER purchased this membership; NEVER.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been with RCI for about 20 years now and the trading in for another TS is getting ridiculous! The 'good' ones are NEVER available and I can't get them even with a year's notice paid search! The timeshares that are in their system, are NOT convenient to the places I want to travel and websites like VRBO, Airbnb are WAY MORE POPULAR to get what you want and cheaper!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I find it frustrating when trying to find a place for a vacation after I have deposited my owned weeks. Places like Lead, South Dakota (the only RCI place in SD) only has available openings in the months of Oct-March... REALLY! Not good timing if on a motorcycle! Everything is like that. North USA months I can see are available in the winter months and South USA months in the summer. I am making the assumption however if I pay additional fees for Prime Membership those other dates may just magically appear and become available. Like the exorbitant fees they charge in the first place aren't enough!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Don't assume you are using what you have. I book a flight with my points. You assume it will come from your total balance. WRONG! They deduct from your "current year" balance and let the points from "previous" year expired so they can charge you to extend the pint for "one more year". Even my account balance shows my "current" year balance including those so called "expired" points. Cannot find the policy. Call the customer service, the answer is "you are wrong!" Try to get out the membership whenever you can. I wish I can give "zero star".

Original review: March 20, 2018

I need a hotel for a week this summer in order to take my comprehensive final exam for a doctorate program. I called RCI to see if they had any available hotels in the area at a reasonable rate. The representative stated that they had inventory comparable to the market rate. During the reservation he stated that the reservation would comes with travel insurance and if there was a need to cancel call them and they would review my options. After booking the reservation I discovered the price of the hotel was almost $200 dollars more than the hotel listing on the internet. When I called back they stated that the travel insurance only covered emergencies and then if I canceled the reservation I would forfeit the entire amount. The representative, to put it mildly, misstated the facts about the travel insurance and the market value of the hotel. I will never book another hotel reservation this company.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I was offered a cruise by RCI that I accepted over the telephone which was recorded by RCI. Having paid the amount asked for they added on a charge for monthly installments which I was told was interest then bank charges and then a levy which I contested as payments were made via a credit card which does not attract any charges. After months of arguing this these charges were returned. I had stated in the numerous e-mails to RCI that I wanted a copy of the telephone recording as like previous review I was shown that there are numerous hidden charges that were not disclosed at the time. It is now 4 months since I requested the copy of the recording and to date RCI have refused to comply. I have asked for my money to be returned to me again this has been refused.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been a member of RCI since 2002. It never ceases to amaze me how they come up with creative ways to rip you off. After the sinking feeling that you have been had in buying a timeshare, you think there might be something to be gained by trading your timeshare week for points to used at an RCI facility. That is, until you add up the costs to do so. First there is the maintenance fee for your property, then add the RCI membership fee, then the weekly RCI fee for the reservation, and then compare what Costco Travel or others are charging for a similar vacation fee, and it's a wash. But don't forget, those weeks you transferred to RCI have a use by date, or, for an additional fee, of course, you can extend the expiration date. All in all, you save NOTHING.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Very unhappy. In filling out the paperwork I specifically declined Barclays credit card offer. Four days after returning home I received a Barclays credit card in the mail which was immediately cut up. I keep receiving emails which I also declined. When we declined the offer to purchase at several thousands of dollars and was ready to leave the agent came back with an offer at half the original amount. Then I knew it was a scam. Not to mention the customer plants who boasted of the great deals they got on vacations conveniently leaving as we arrived. I never would have posted this review had it not been for the credit card arriving. An hour on Hilton Head Island we'll never get back.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Please do not let RCI talk you into buying a vacation package. It is a scam!!! They sell you a package that they say is the greatest and then when you book a cruise, they charge you a ton of "pass through fees", so the cruise certificate isn't worth much and then I try to use the resort certificate and nothing that I want is ever available--when they told me I could have whatever I wanted! I asked to trade my resort certificate for a cruise certificate and they will only give me $200!!! Really!!! I paid $2600 for a vacation package worth maybe $1000!!! Don't be fooled by RCI they are a scam!!! They will not help you at all! They just want your money for little or nothing in return!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have had several calls from RCI wanting to buy back my extra weeks for $2700 per week that I sell back saying that it is for the Arnold Palmer Tournament. All I have to do is pay 395.00 to unlock the weeks and I should get my $2700 in two weeks. Has anyone else experienced these calls? Not sure if this is legit.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

On February 22nd 2018 our business line was called by RCI with a supposed offer of a resort stay. I have always trained our entire staff to consistently wait out the automated calls and speak with a representative in order to be taken off of all future lists. This will help with our office costs of constantly being bombarded with ridiculous sales calls that we receive each day.

Upon receiving the first call of the day with a brief survey that needed to be answered and was hung up on before being allowed to say that we wanted to be taken off of the list. I then took over the handling of this on my own and called 16 times and was hung up on each and every time. I did have a short talk with a David and a Jordan and spoken to rudely each time as I asked why I was not being allowed to be taken off of their sales list. We are not ever going to be a customer and I would think that upper management would only want good, qualified leads within the pipeline. Nevertheless, this company should not be in business if this is the training that the salesforce has been taught in never allowing to be placed on the do not call list by hanging up on everyone before they can actually say the words.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Booked an exchange with RCI for a property that we have been to before. Excellent resort called Wyndham Palm Aire in Pompano, Florida. We had booked a cruise for one week and the resort for another. Airfare was booked for the 2 weeks. The exchange was booked beginning of October 2017. Paid an exchange fee of $359.00 CDN. On December 19th, we were called and told that our reservation was cancelled due to the hurricane damage of Irma which was on September 8th., 2017.

Seems they never told us that it was possible that the resort would not be available because of the damage even though they booked us and took our money. Imagine hurricane from Irma on the 8th of September and they took our reservation on the 7th of October. They mentioned on the telephone that would replace the points a bonus certificate and a refund of our money. When we get back from extra cost vacation and looked at our credit card there was no refund. I called and was told that I should look at the terms and conditions of their exchange contract. I did so, after looking through 26 other pages to find the clause of FORCE MAJEURE, which means acts of god or other non responsible situations.

After speaking with 2 different supervisors who must be well trained to rip you off I was told that there is no refund but willing to give a coupon which I must use to book another vacation by March 31st of 2018. I asked why did not they not tell me of the Hurricane situation and that the resort was damaged when I booked the reservation, they say they are in Indiana and have no knowledge that the resort would not be up and running for January 20th. They said tough luck and they have the right to book a property that is hurricane struck and then cancel reservations due to the condition of the resort and keep your money.

I was brought up and understand that a buyer should be made aware of a situation. In this case they claim that they could book any property knowing that there could be a problem without telling you upfront about that serious situation. Where has the integrity of Wyndham/RCI has gone. A member for 5 years with many exchanges also purchasing on 2 different occasions their Travel packages of cruises and resorts and a member of Wyndham Hotels. That's what I call RIPPED OFF. Shame on you RCI.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am mostly happy with RCI. The issues I have are booking extra vacations. You are unable to specify an ocean front room even though I have the Platinum membership. I don't see where I get anything from having the Platinum membership other than more yearly fees!!! It doesn't seem to have any clout with any of the resorts.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have both a weeks membership and points membership. It has become more and more difficult to schedule vacations. First, their website has constant issues often making it difficult to search. Second, the resorts are becoming fewer and far between which means fewer options and fewer rooms in this options. To find what you want you must be able to plan a year or more in advance particularly if you have kids in school and are often limited to school breaks and holidays which are a premium time. Third, the fees continue to increase. The member resorts apparently are trying to recoup money with all sorts of fees. The all-inclusive resorts are, perhaps the worst. Fourth, don't even get me started on the cruises. You can book the same cruise for significantly less on many other sights. They seem to pump the price up for RCI. It is really becoming rather worthless.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

So we received a phone call as probably most TS owners do alerting us to an update of owners, when I pressed the operator for owner of what, she said, "Timeshare" and I pressed further asking about what resort. So I asked if this was a sales pitch, she assured me no that it was only an update of benefits and services again being very vague. Since I am retired and have the free time to waste, we made our way over to Ruby Tuesday to be updated and as I suspected this is a veiled attempt to sell you their Platinum Exchange service in exchange for your timeshare. The hard sell of course is the escalating maintenance fees normally associated with timeshares. What they want is for you to sign your timeshare over to them, plus some amount of money this will get you out of your contract with your timeshare.

In our case they wanted $8000.00, this would have gotten us 20,000 points in their point system, all of this of course is a high pressure sales tactic, because you have to do it today, they did offer an attractive interest rate of 1% but failed to say how long that was for. I am wanting to do more research to find out the hidden fees and other cost associated with this offer. This was not directly through RCI, but a company contracted by RCI, Leisure Company or something like that. The part I didn't like were the deceptive way they get people to attend and their telemarketing practices. The sales person made a reference to selling car and in my opinion these folks are worse, as you don't get to see what you're buying. So buyers beware, but if you don't mind listening to their babble you can get a good steak dinner out of it for 2 hours of your time.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We purchased our first week with RCI in 1991. Since then, there have been a few changes as the company has found a few creative ways to add fees (combining weeks, upgrading to Platinum membership, guest certificates, etc). You have to be flexible and plan ahead to get the best value out of using RCI. We always know where we are going a year before and we start monitoring availability early. In the 26 years that I been a member of RCI I have not been disappointed. In the old days, you could just deposit your week (even if it was a one bedroom) and exchange out for a larger (2-3 bedroom unit) with no issues.

In the past few years they have switched to a points system - which is not my favorite, but if you combine your points (two years together) then you can have enough points to stay in a really nice resort - always Gold Crown for us! It's really easy to book online. And yes, there is a fee to exchange your unit, but for $229-$299 you can go nowhere and stay for 7 nights. Even if you add your maintenance fees Let's say it's $800.00 for a week - you can't stay at a RESORT for $800.00. We just recently stayed in a 3 bedroom, 4 bath unit at the Hacienda Del Mar, Cabo San Lucas for 7 nights. I checked online and just to have a hotel room there was over $2000.00 for the week. If you love to travel, love to see new things and have new adventures, and will do your homework - RCI will pay off for you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Purchased a platinum membership and there is absolutely no value for the money whatsoever, bought points membership and for the points they give you, you can book very little... and you are fee'd to death, there is a fee for everything, horrible value.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

We've been members of RCI for more than 20 years, ever since our parents "gifted" us with their timeshare. At first, we were able to exchange for places we wanted to go, when we wanted to go. Then they started selling the premium spots and dates, so now, if we're lucky, we can go to Myrtle Beach in January. They were sued in a class action, found liable, and the penalty was that they had to give every member a discount coupon toward a cruise. Really? Obviously, some back dealing going on there. You pay to join, you pay to exchange, you pay to combine points, then you pay to use those points. You can easily rack up another $400 in RCI fees on top of your resort maintenance fees. Rip off.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could give a -10 rate, I would. We've been with RCI for over 20 years, the services and fees are getting worse and worse. I live in the midwest and sucked into converting weeks to points paying extra $5000 for supposedly more flexibility. Not so, as I was never able to book anything on weekend near where I live. We pay $1200 maintenance fee to our home resort that includes cleaning, taxes, maintenance, reserve, etc. We also pay $124 RCI annual membership fee and $199 exchange fee typically without point protection plan. August 2017, we booked 2 units paid 2 separate exchange fee because they couldn't find anything larger than one bedroom. We booked 10 days before vacation. Because their computer system had malfunctioned, I called in to book, the representative sneaked point protection plan without me knowing for 2 units for another $100. So instead of $199 we should have paid, we ended up with $498.

Today, I tried to book a vacation a year early in Sedona, AZ area for 12/2018. I noticed there's $26 point saving fee on my account. I didn't know what it was so I called to find out. I was told they charge automatically points you haven't used from the previous year of this fee. It's now 2017, why can't I use my unused points from 2016 without paying another fee on top of other fees? The Kicker is $26 to save your points and $85 to use your less than 30,000 saved points, $125 for more than 30,000. LOL. Another crazy thing is the resort we were interested in required 73,000 for 2 bedrooms which we had no problem, but the exchange fee was higher because it was "weeks" unit. My screen says 73,000 points nothing about weeks. I guess RCI change or say whatever to squeeze you every dime. This must be a new fee change.

When I complained about this fee, the rep said they could get rid of my 16,000 unused points from 2016 at no charge but I still have to pay for points saved fee. I wanted to make sure what I heard was right, so I summarized and confirmed with rep. Yes you have to pay the fee you didn't even know and authorized for them to take your points for free. Does anybody angry most resorts charge cleaning fees also? Didn't we pay that to the home resort we didn't use? Somebody out there, tell me if RCI practice is legal. Let's start some sort of class action suit against this shady company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I got two phones calls from RCI Promotions this morning. At the first one, I completed the survey to get to a "person" to talk to. I told them I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and take me off of their computer. An hour later, I got a repeated call. Grrrrr. I have messaged Hilton Hotels, who RCI was using as their partner in their spiel.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Booking #** on Norwegian Cruise Lines. Did not get promised confirmation emails as promised by consultant. Consultant did not return calls over a period of at least 4 days, and then after I informed her I was canceling my trip and why through voice. Consultant called sister in law to get email address rather than calling me. At that point I got the promised email plus one telling me I had to call 6028245993 ext 1104 for cancellation department. I started calling immediately and have yet to get an answer. The line is never "available". Although I'm still attempting to call, I sent a certified letter on Thursday to the "cancellation department", canceling my trip. If I do not get a full refund I will be contacting my attorney. I do not expect to hear anything from this complaint. I do not like to "create an account" to file a complaint. Very interesting I got no response from the consultant until I tried to cancel!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

If I could rate RCI a Zero I would. We got rid of our timeshare in Colorado and cancelled RCI since we no longer had a unit to bank and trade. We were promised a credit in the next billing cycle and to date that has NOT happened yet. (It is now 11/7.) We cancelled in Aug. and expected a credit in Sept. When we did not receive it I called again and still no credit. They talk a good game on the phone but they don't come through. We stopped booking anything besides a "gold crown" resort since the quality on the other resorts was questionable. We showed up for a vacation once on Oahu and the resort showed signs of a fire and had a tattoo parlor below it.

We drove right on by and called RCI to find us another resort. They said they couldn't do it but would credit our week back...lot of good that did us since we were already in Oahu. That vacation ended up costing us an additional $2500!! We had been disillusioned with RCI for quite some time, but thought we needed to keep it as long as we had our timeshare. Knowing what we know now we would have cancelled RCI a long time ago.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I rented a car through RCI travel and was forced to return it early due to hurricane Irma, Enterprise was the host company. After returning the car early Enterprise informed me had I rented directly from them I would already have a refund. RCI refuses to give me a refund even though Enterprise agreed they owe me the money ($519.00). This company ripped me off. DO NOT EVER DEAL WITH THEM, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR VACATION... JUST YOUR MONEY! DISHONEST THIEVES.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

RCI sucks! I broke down and signed up for RCI. I wanted to exchange my week in Orlando for weeks in other parts of the Country. I paid their fees and set up a place in Gilford New Hampshire at the Fireside Inn. Well due to bad weather and Power outages, they had to evacuate the Hotel and Family members as well. The Resort found rooms for everyone else and said because they went through RCI they are not paying customers. So I called RCI and they said they could comp me a week and they could find a place for them to stay on the 3rd of November. 4 days from now. People travel on budgets, RCI could care a less.

RCI is so quick to sell you crap (that's what it is crap). When you need them to help out, they are right there to do nothing for you. I gave them 1 star because I had to click on 1. I wouldn't give them anything. That's what I think of this company. Find a different company to do an exchange with. They will leave you in the wind. You can bank on it.

RCI expert review by ConsumerAffairs

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare properties in the world. The company was founded in1974 by Christel DeHaan, and they offer a wide range of timeshare options, from resort stays to partial condo ownership.

• Part of Wyndham Worldwide Group: RCI is part of Wyndham Worldwide Group, which affords customers access to one of the largest networks of vacation properties to choose from, across six continents.

• Global presence: Travelers interested in owning a timeshare somewhere far from home can find a property through RCI, which has affiliated resorts in more than 100 countries.

• Guest certificates available: RCI members are allowed to let friends and family members enjoy their timeshare through an exchange, extra holiday or late deal.

• Members only personal protection: Members of RCI are afforded cancellation protection should they need to cancel their trip, and they are allowed to switch or keep their points should they not be able to use their allotted timeshare dates.

• Platinum Membership option: Customers who choose RCI have the Platinum Membership option, which gives them even more access to resort properties, better customer service and extra perks.

• Best for: Large families, people who want a luxury vacation property, travelers with a favorite vacation destination and young professionals with disposable income.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs