1.2/5 (64 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: May 19, 2020

Advised by resort April 6th that they would not be open for our May 1st arrival. Contacted RCI for a refund on April 8th. Initially said they would hold $350 but would credit our credit card for the remaining $513.94. Credit card rec'd $493.94 on April 8. Called again on April 16, agent spoke to supervisor and I was advised that the remaining credit would be applied to my credit card. Rec'd additional credit of $20 on April 25. Called again on April 28, spoke to "Jasmine" and was advised that the remaining $350 credit to my credit card was in progress. "They" were now processing April 8 request so that I would have mine within the next 2 weeks.

May 19th and no further credit. Call RCI again and spoke with "Alex" who advised me that none of the previous conversations were noted on my file. They could not credit my credit card with the $350 but could leave it as a voucher on my acct to be used by October 2021. I asked how and who would have deleted the previous conversations. Did not get a satisfactory reply. I have been misled and lied to by the representatives of this company. I did not cancel my vacation, the resort did. I want and need MY money.

RCI response

Hi Michael, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your membership number so I can take a closer look at your account. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: May 11, 2020

We have been members for about 30 years with good results in the early years, but has turned sour to very bad the last 10 years. Last year we had decided that we no longer desired to travel any more due to age, and the additional costs and the inability to locate available resorts in the locations we would choose. So we decided not to renew our RCI membership. My last trip with RCI was in January of 2020. In speaking with the agents during this time, when they asked about renewal, I mentioned that I would not be renewing my membership and just use my week at the resort in the future. Nothing else was said. My membership lapsed January 31st of this year.

Come time to use my ownership week in May I was told by the resort and RCI that my membership was still active until 2023! Without dues being paid. So I could lose my week for this year after paying my maintenance fees, I got nothing? Of course I could reinstate and pay back fees. So without paying dues, RCI can take the week I paid for and use it in their inventory. And without my permission! The resort, Highland Verde is complicit in this and I may not get my week this year. RCI has a cancellation policy to be submitted. Our signatures are not enough, though we are the owners, but must also be signed by those designated to use the facilities as well.

RCI response

Hi William, we'd like the opportunity address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 12, 2020

On the morning of May 12th I was contacted by RCI and they refunded me the fee. They also kept my membership going for the year but after this experience, starting with booking, I don't think I'll be using it.

Original review: May 8, 2020

My booked week was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I was told that in order to re-book my week I had to pay for another year's membership. I was told they would not re-book the week for me because my account had to be paid at the time of check-in. My week was for the beginning of April, my membership ended the last day of April. I could not have known that I wouldn't be able to use that week as planned and I couldn't re-book it before the end of April because everything was still in shutdown. They informed me that they had a credit of $239.00 and that I would have to re-book before six months past in order to preserve that credit, otherwise I would have had to pay another exchange/transfer fee. So no help from them, just a request for payment for another membership.

RCI response

Hi Donna, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 15, 2020

Was contacted by RCI. They did help navigate reservations. 3 stars for the rude and inconsiderate "Tiffany" original Customer Service Rep.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Have been an RCI customer for over 15 years. Never been impressed with this company but now am very displeased and will be filing a formal complaint and negative forum reviews everywhere possible. Just experienced a situation where the Rep claimed something that was untrue. When I told her she was wrong and that I had already confirmed with Bluegreen that the resort we had just booked was closed, she got offended and put me on hold so that I couldn't leave her negative feedback on the RCI Quality question that is asked at the end of the call. BEWARE!!! AVOID THIS COMPANY! RCI is booking weeks at Resorts that are closed. They then will keep your booking money for future reservation. THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! RCI does not have the right to book units at closed resorts then hold your money. I will be filing a formal complaint.

RCI response

Hi John, your comment concerns us and we'd like the opportunity to investigate. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 29, 2020

My points were expiring Jan 31, 2020. I had already paid to have them extended and paid the exchange fee for two rooms for a family spring break vacation March 27, 2020 - April 05, 2020. The state of Hawaii and California was shut down due to COVID-19. Both the hotel and airline canceled my stay and tickets. I called RCI and I was not given a refund for the two exchange fees I paid. I was only given until June 2020 to book my vacation or my credit would be lost. I also have to pay more money for my points to be extended. I feel that because this is a global epidemic that fee should have been waived and I should be entitled to a full refund. How can I book for a vacation for this year 2020 or the early months of 2021 if the whole world is still going through lockdowns and nonessential travel is not permitted.

I’ve tried calling and have been on hold for two hours and have had my calls even dropped. I’m trying to get a refund but I am having no luck. June is quickly approaching and the city where I live just announced we will have shelter in place through the month of MAY. I understand there are policies in place however, this is a special circumstance that the entire world is experiencing and RCI is not handling this with sensitivity.

RCI response

Hi Martha, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our current cancel policy. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 13, 2020

I posted my initial review on this site without a large expectation of having this resolved to my satisfaction. Kathleen from RCI contacted me, and we have resolved the situation to a level that is very satisfactory to myself... I am very happy then to upgrade my star rating and my satisfaction with RCI in repairing this problem. Thank you Kathleen.

Larry

Original review: April 28, 2020

Last year (2019) we purchased a cruise package (about 4000cdn). We initially tried to book a cruise, but availability was very limited. This Year the Coronavirus pandemic has hit and most cruise lines have shut down or severely limited their offerings as well as airflight restrictions by the airlines. We have contacted RCI cruise to ask for a refund due to their inability to fulfill their end of the contract as agreed to at the outset... Their response is to only offer a two month extension on booking and travel times--no refunds!! They are in my view clearly in breach of contract... If anyone is starting a class action lawsuit, we would be happy to join in. Larry **, Red Deer, Alberta **

RCI response

Hi Larry, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 24, 2020

I had a 3/29/2020 vacation cancelled due to Covid 19. RCI put some of those points in an expiring points account indicating I have to use them by May 30, 2020 or pay to extend them. I called on 4/23 while we are still on a stay at home order they still insisted I had to vacation prior to 5/30/2020 or pay. So while all other companies in our country are trying to extend due dates and help people this company is not willing to do the right thing simply by allowing these points to go into the regular acct. By the way I did make a reservation for next year they refuse to use these point. I cannot vacation prior to the end of May if it is open because I am a nurse on a Covid 19 unit.

RCI response

Hi Patty, we did receive your email and have responded. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 23, 2020

We had our vacation booked for April 24 - May 1st (with our expiry date of April 30th) with a resort through RCI. The resort had email/informed us of their closure due to COVID-19 and won't be re-opening until possibly June. I requested a cancellation request to RCI, which they returned our points to our account but now they want us to PAY for the extension!! This is not fair - we booked before our expiry date! They should extend it FREE to us since it is NOT OUR FAULT that the resort closed. They also have credited us the payment that we must book a new date by Oct 31st - they refuse to give us our money back! So what choice do we have other than pay for the extension?? They are NOT sympathetic to the current situation!! WE ARE NOT HAPPY!!

RCI response

Hi Mike, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: April 22, 2020

Kathleen provided the service that I've always received from RCI. In spite of the coronavirus problems she more than resolved my problem. Not only is RCI 5 star but Kathleen is one of the reasons they are a 5 star.

Original review: April 22, 2020

In December we booked a unit at Wyndham Patriot for the week of June 7. It was 11 points and $239. The place is currently under lock down due to the virus. The unit we are staying at has been reduced to 7 points and other weeks following are as low as 4 points. RCI just explained to me that in order to change to a later week, in hopes that more will be open or to reduce my points I would have to cancel my reservation but would only get 9 points and lose the $239. I could then rebook but I'd have to pay another $239. At least the intro to their call days they care about their clients. As the two days I'm sure they'll be open. We've been a member for several years and have always spoken highly of our membership but I guess I may have been wrong.

RCI response

Hi John, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have been a member with RCI since 2008, I have 8 points due to expire April 30, 2020, when I called RCI to inquire about my points I was informed that I could pay an additional $99.00 to extend my points for 1 year, and I also have a 1 week vacation scheduled for JULY 9, 2020, I was informed that I needed to wait until 30 days prior before my vacation date to see what is going on with COVID-19, or I could pay an additional Protection fee and it would protect my week and my money I paid for the exchange would be put on the books for credit.

This pandemic has changed the way I would be able to vacation later. Please help me in obtaining my 8 points without losing them and paying additional money, and also making sure I don't lose my money or timeshare points. This crisis have so many people out of work and no income coming into there household. My rci membership is paid out until 2022, and my platinum membership is paid in full and due to expire in July 2020.

RCI response

Hi Deena, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 19, 2020

I have been a member of the RCI timeshare vacation exchange for 10+ years, and upgraded to Silver in hopes of having better selection for exchanging. My week is to expire June 30th, I have been searching for a resort that would meet my expectations, which is challenging even with the upgrade of membership. With the Covid19 non travel ban I have several months (March, April and May, possibly June, who knows at this point) that I will not have available to me to book an exchange. So I contacted RCI and was told that my ONLY option was to pay the $99 extension fee, and that I should be happy because it was $125. This is ridiculous!

They should not be charging additional fees to extend the expiration dates for their members; they should be taking the initiative to contact their members that have time banked, or that will be expiring and advising their time will be extended automatically for the same length of time travel is not permitted. It's about time for RCI to put their member's first rather than bleed them dry for every penny. I will not be using them in the future if this is how they treat their members. And I will be sure to share and not recommend this company to everyone.

RCI response

Hi Layna, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 18, 2020

I used RCI Chat to see about getting an extension of my points that are expiring April 30. Only more money will make this happen. I have already paid my quarterly dues for my timeshare, and the Platinum membership fees to RCI. Now I need to pay more money to extend using my points for an undetermined time in the future. I am so frustrated by this. I feel like I would just be throwing money away with no guarantee that a month or 3 months or even 6 months would be enough time. Then the exchange fee..it's all about the money folks! Please review all the costs before you invest here. So disappointed with this company!

RCI response

Hi Richard, we're sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with questions and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 16, 2020

Trying to get through the phone tree and actually getting to the right people has always been a nightmare. I have been a member of RCI for over 10 years taking many cruises, trips, resorts and have purchased several different packages. Now with the virus, our cruise and our air flights need to be cancelled. After several conversations and talking with supervisor they can't find my account. I contacted the airline and they said they reimbursed our tickets in cash going directly to RCI. When I called RCI they not only said I don't have the money, they say I don't have an account with them. I am furious and very frustrated. I do not recommend doing business with them. I certainly won't in the future.

RCI response

Hi Barbara, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with your membership number and cruise booking number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have a vacation week expiring July 31st which obviously I will not be able to take. I figured due to covid19 they would extend it for at least 6 months with no charge. However not the case. I paid to have it extended 3 months but it looks like that won 't be long enough. It seems they have forgotten who pays their wages. Their policies should reflect the current situation most other travel companies are treating their clients more fairly.

RCI response

Hi James, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: April 15, 2020

After expressing my concerns on this site - and corresponding with Kathleen from Customer Care, we were able to resolve the issue. RCI has agreed to post a coupon to our account toward a future exchange fee. As we do plan to travel again once the Covid situation resolves, I consider this a satisfactory response. Thank you for working with us in a reasonable manner.

Original review: April 14, 2020

We had a vacation booked with RCI for over the summer. When you book through RCI, you pay a transfer fee to exchange your points for different resorts. RCI has indicated to us that we cannot be refunded or credited for the transfer fee associated with this vacation. When we eventually do go on our vacation after this crisis is over - we will essentially have to pay the transfer fee again - giving RCI a double collection of fee from us. This seems like opportunistic capitalism - designed to bolster profits off of the crisis. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor - and was denied this chance. Be weary if you have a trip booked with this company that you wish to cancel. Likely, you will not be given any refunds, and they will pass the full burden onto you, the consumer.

RCI response

Hi Joseph, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you.

Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your RCI membership number.

Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: April 23, 2020

It took a while but we came to an agreement.

Original review: April 14, 2020

On February 20, 2020 we booked 2-2 units in Las Vegas to go on May 10th. I called to cancel today and they REFUSED to reimburse me the full amount stating that it was their cancellation policy that they keep almost half of my money ($700) to use/book by October 31st in which I explained that I will not travel at all this year. They wouldn't budge! This just shows you how much their clients mean to them, especially during this time of need and we could really use that money right now! We are not their priority. I'm so disgusted with them! Ever since we purchased this timeshare in 2013, it has been a nightmare! I repeat, DON'T PURCHASE RCI!!

RCI response

Hi Amy, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you.

Thank you, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: April 17, 2020

I spoke with RCI and they agreed to extend my points to October so I could re-book the vacation at the same resort that cancelled all stays for May. I appreciate the ultimate cooperation, I just wish it did not take this complaint to be resolved. Thank you.

Original review: April 13, 2020

In January I paid to extend my week/points through May and booked a May vacation. RCI indicates they are committed to being flexible in this unprecedented time. However, I called customer service to discuss options on re-booking at the same resort for October and I was told I would need to pay once again to extend my week/points credit. So they want double extension fees for the same vacation and same resort in a time when businesses all over America are waiving similar type rules/fees due to uncontrollable circumstances.

I noticed the same complaint on this message board from another RCI member and RCI's answer was that they have updated their policies and check back. Well don't bother since I just spoke to them this morning and the same policy still exists. RCI apparently cares nothing about its customer's vacations if instituting this type of policy during a worldwide pandemic. I went to LinkedIn to find a high ranking executive to tell my story and found they don't even claim a LinkedIn page. What type of business in America would not claim a LinkedIn page? A business that does not want to deal with LinkedIn comments from unsatisfied customers.

RCI response

Hi Peter, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 11, 2020

First of all, I never write bad reviews but I am so furious this one I must write. I have a timeshare that I exchanged with RCI that expires on July 31, 2020. I had a trip book in May that was automatically canceled due to the pandemic. When I called RCI, they said that they would give me a voucher for the booking fee but I will need to pay $99 to extend out the week that I exchanged. I was furious with this since I did everything correctly with booking and so many people are going through hard times I was surprised that there would be a fee charged!!! I asked for a supervisor (Tyler) and he said that was their policy. I asked if I was the only person complaining about this and he said yes which is a lie because when I checked I found this site with multiple complaints! At this point, I want to do everything possible to get off of RCI because this is not the way to do business in a time where so many people are suffering.

Hi Mary,

We have updated, and continue to update our cancellation policy. You may view the most recent updates here: https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/footer/travel-cancel-information.page

If you have Trading Power or Points expiring and prefer more time to plan or travel, speak to one of our Vacation Guides for additional options. Our team is available to help on Live Chat www.RCI.com or via email at TalktoUs@rci.com

Resolution response: April 10, 2020

I had asked the previous worker to have a manager call me.... After a few hours they did and resolved everything. Listened to my calls from the past week and fixed everything.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I called to book a cruise through RCI. They explained they had a great deal if I bought a travel package that included a free cruise for 2 and a week free resort stay. They gave me all the prices to include My 3 kids and it sounded great. On Friday I paid and she said the cruise department was closed and would get back to me Monday. On Monday prices were all different and it was all an argument. I finally booked the cruise and was set to go in this week (April 4th). Due to the Covid-19 the cruise was cancelled.

I called in March to ask about it and RCI told me they would look into it and call me back. No one did. Finally I see a cruise credit but my certificate is gone. I call RCI and he told me they only have a cancellation department, nothing else. Also explained when I rebook my certificate will be there, we got disconnected after an hour on hold. Called again and the lady is rude and talking over me and won’t let me even ask a question. She Said that the 125% the cruise line is offering everyone is good enough and that they are not returning the cruise certificate. So now I’m out $3,000 and am planning on bringing my attorney in on this as they are refusing any refunds. I still have a week stay (not worth the money) and that should be good enough for 3k? Don’t ever buy from them.

RCI response

Thank you so much for the feedback and we are glad your issue was resolved.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I have a member of RCI for 40 years. While not overly happy with the services they provide, a recent experience has led me to write this review. I made an RCI Exchange for Las Vegas which would have started on March 27th in the middle of the CoronaVirus pandemic. Since we are in a shelter in place mode here in California, I called RCI for a refund of the exchange fee. I was told that RCI does not give out refunds for any reason. I think this is not the way we should all work with each other during this crisis.

RCI response

Hi Michael, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with additional details and your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 28, 2020

We have been RCI members since the 80's. I recently (March 16th, 2020) booked a week vacation for my daughter, using points that expire on Apr. 30 this year. We have never missed a maintenance period and have maintained our membership with RCI - that's a lot of $$$ over almost 40 years. In any case, I paid the (outrageous) exchange fee of $335 and was charged an extra $125 for a 'guest certificate' for my daughter, even though her name is listed as an owner also on our paperwork. Less than a week later, the resort closed and cancelled our reservation due to COVID 19, saying to contact RCI for any refund. Cool...

However, under the 'flexible' cancellation accommodations that RCI is operating under - given these unprecedented times - all we got was a 'credit of exchange fees' which may/may not include the guest fee, to be used under the current expiration time for the points, and our membership, which, in our case, is April 30th, 2020... Even if we could travel, or my daughter could travel, which is highly unlikely, where are we going to use the 'credit' or our points at this late date? This credit is worthless...

I called RCI, and even requested the situation to be escalated but was completely shut down with "there are NO exceptions' to the policy! At this time, we have invested the $800 or so dollars in maintenance fees for the points in our account (from 2018), and now an additional $460 for an exchange cancelled by RCI/Resort, and because they 'have offered a credit', under the global credit card rules, I am unable to even enter a dispute against the $460 charge to my c/c!! It doesn't seem to matter that the form of credit is worthless to me, the rules protect the merchant=RCI. This is the same thing that allows the airlines to offer credits now to be 'fair' in the time of COVID 19, but any residual amount is forfeit, or why they can still charge outrageous cancellation fees. I digress... Perhaps I should be thanking RCI for not charging me an additional $50 to cancel my reservation... Unbelievable...

But, on the upside, as of 2020, our '40 year ownership' is at an end, and while we still love our home resort, we have opted not to continue our timeshare association so as to be out of our obligations and any association with RCI. It's cheaper, and easier to rent there, than it is to remain an RCI member. In the beginning, we were able to use the timeshare and quite enjoyed it. However, over the years, as RCI has been sold over and over and over again, the value of our timeshare has been diminished to the point that it has been increasingly difficult to use the points allocated to our unit, while membership fees, exchange fees, guest fees keep increasing.

Now you can "get more from your membership" & make it easier (ie give you access to properties previously open to us) by becoming an 'elite' member... which of course, costs more $$$. In this time where there are so many options for travel (post COVID 19), we would not recommend anyone become involved with RCI in any way, shape or form... So, RCI - you have screwed us for the last time... Obviously, it's been good for you - sorry we can't say the same!

RCI response

Hi Brenda, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our current cancellation policy and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with your concerns and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 27, 2020

My small group booked a Panama Canal cruise for Feb 2021. My sister and I have to cancel our trip as her husband has been affected the Covid 19 virus and there will be no travel for us. Norwegian Cruise Lines, whom the trip is booked with, offered us a full refund as we are well within the 120 days to cancel. But we were advised we have to contact RCI to actually cancel the booking.

Much to my surprise and disgust RCI refuses to refund the funds. Even though NCL offered to refund the full amount. Now if RCI had charged me the amount ($100 and a 49.95 booking fee) they have posted on their website, I could understand but to get a full refund back from the provider and then refuse to refund me!? Stay away from this greedy company who offers you absolutely nothing for your hard earned money. The cruise "specialist " did not catch a much lower cost on our trip, we found it by checking NCL's website. Their phone system is designed to frustrate you into hanging up. All around a poor customer service company with only dollar signs guiding their business. They are feeding off of these trying times.

Mona

Hi Mona,

Our team would be more than happy to look into this for you. Please respond to us privately via the message we have sent, send us an email to talktous@rci.com or give our team a call 1-800-338-7777 (RCI Weeks), 1-877-968-7476 (RCI Points)- Monday-Friday 8AM-8PM and Saturday 8AM-5PM

Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards,

Kathleen, RCI Social Care Team

Resolution response: May 18, 2020

We have resolved our issue with RCI and their affiliates. We are very pleased with their response and professionalism in solving this issue.

Original review: March 20, 2020

On December 21st we met with a sales representative at Vacation Village Resorts, located at the Grandview in Las Vegas and sat through a sales seminar where the RCI Points program was explained to us. We told the sales rep that we had 30 years of vacations through Royal Solaris in San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico, and an RCI Weeks program and didn’t need any more weeks of vacation time, “Especially at our age”. We also told her that “Fifteen years is probably all we will be able to use if we don’t die first”. We told her that we were meeting with her only to see what RCI had to offer us, if anything.

After several hours meeting with her, we were ready to walk away, when the sales rep brought over another sales rep to verify if she was right, that we could indeed trade points for "airfare". Just like when we were with Wyndham. We told them that the Wyndham points paid for our entire airfare and just like our RCI Barclaycard which we just used the points to acquire a round trip airline ticket. Both representatives said “Most Definitely" that we could trade points for airfare. The head sales rep said he does it all the time with his RCI vacation points. They were well aware that we were purchasing only because they assured us that we could trade points for airfare and that we would never uses it for vacation weeks, just like Wyndham’s program did for us. We believed him and signed the papers.

The sales rep shook my hand and said “We Made A Wise Decision and We Won’t Regret It”. He was wrong about that. We regret having met them and the RCI Points program. One month later when we were first allowed on the RCI Points website we found that the RCI product was misrepresented to us. We were not told the truth about the points program. We were not told that points could only be used for a discount on a airline ticket. The first thing we did was check the points needed for airline tickets and were appalled to find that we were not told the truth. I immediately got on the chat line to ask RCI representative questions only to get a reply back that they were sorry we were lied to by Vacation Village Resorts sales representatives.

If we were allowed to see the truth on the RCI Points website that same day we would never have signed any document. Instead we were only allowed on the RCI web site 30 days later. The discount RCI has for airfare is no discount at all. I found that it is twice the amount I paid for the same round trip ticket through Travelocity in mid December 2019.

What happened to us on December 21, 2019, which was orchestrated by two sales reps and is called Bait & Switch and is fraudulent. What they did to us is in-violation of Nevada State Law as defined under the Nevada Deceptive Trade Practices Act (NRS 598). We were told by RCI Points representative that the fault lies with “Vacation Village Resorts” and RCI cannot be held responsible for the fraud committed by Vacation Village Resorts. Vacation Village Resorts says they were not informed by RCI of the change in policy concerning airfare. An RCI rep told us that Vacation Village Resorts knew well in advance that the RCI Points program changed its policy on trading points for airfare.

Since this RCI Points program is totally different then what was presented to us, and we were coerced into signing a document based on fraudulent information, we are requesting that Vacation Village Resorts cancel our contract and refund our deposit immediately. All we get from them is the run around and them telling us how great their product is. They refuse to accept the fact that they are involved in a bait and switch fraud which can carry a one year jail sentence. After several phone calls, emails and letters we now feel as though Vacation Village Resorts has developed a total hatred of their prospective buyers and are filled with greed. We suggest to all who will listen, do not purchase a timeshare through Vacation Village Resorts or RCI.

Hi,

We are very sorry to hear of your experience. As you mentioned, RCI does not own or operate timeshare resorts. RCI is the vacation exchange network that you can deposit your points or weeks into and open up your travel options. We would be happy to discuss this situation with you to see if we can assist in anyway.

Please contact at talktous@rci.com or reply here on Consumer Affairs. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Almost 2 months ago I booked a Vacation with RCI from banking points from my Wyndham account. Biggest mistake I ever made. My points were use it or lose it by the end of March. I booked with RCI at a popular resort in Massanutten Ski Lodge. Fast forward to March 15th with the looming Corona Virus with a full grip on every known place possible. I called RCI to see if the resort I had booked had cancellations. They said they knew of none but told me to call the resort so I did. After calling the resort and being informed everything was pretty much closed I made the decision to call back and cancel. Now keep in mind mine points were use it or lose it as of the end March. When I reached RCI they asked why I wanted to cancel. I told them due to the corona Virus all was closed and no sense in going.

I asked the representative if I could push my points out due the circumstances and also get back the 109.00 I paid for the exchange fee and use both at a later date. I was put on hold for 30 minutes. When the representative returned he informed me that the only way to extend my points were to pay to extend and that the 109 would be in form of a credit. I explained to them that I was not about to pay to extend when I had no other choice to cancel. I also explained if they would not extend my points and I lose them then the 109 credit was trash and would do me no good. The representative understood my concern but said he could not do but what his company said. I will never ever ever ever use RCI again. H with horrible ethics with everything going on. Very greedy!!!!

Hi Calvin

Thank you for your message. We understand your concerns related to travel at this time. RCI continues to closely monitor the situation. To address your concerns and questions we have updated our cancellation policy during this unprecedented time: https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/footer/travel-cancel-information.page

We would be happy to assist. Please send us a message here on Consumer Affairs or you can email us at talktous@rci.com

Resolution response: March 18, 2020

Happy to say that RCI will rectify the issue. They say I will get my trading credits back and my exchange fees paid will be put into a credit bank for future use. Thank you Kathleen at RCI.

Original review: March 15, 2020

COVID19 refund letdown. I totally agree with Joanne from Concord California. We are Canadians with two weeks booked in Florida in April. Through no fault of our own, we are on a no travel advisory due to the virus. Mr. Trump appears to be ready to close interstate travel. BUT, does RCI respond like the airlines and hotels and resorts and cruise ships - NO! I have pleaded three times with RCI to have our two weeks trading power returned to us, as well as the exchange fees, but to no avail. They say they have administrative costs when people book! We are out $1800.00 Canadian dollars for this accommodation we are not able to get to. Those are some administrative costs! We have been RCI members for 13 years. I believe that will be changing.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Was going to take my mother to Mexico for first time at the end of March. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, cancelled plans because she's 83 years old. Called Fairfield, no problem; called Alaska Airlines, no problem. Called RCI... HUGE ** PROBLEM. Just spoke to Mike, who said that we can cancel but we will lose points and funds paid towards this vacation because we didn't purchase the protection plan back in December. Are you kidding me? EVERY OTHER HOTEL AND AIRLINES ARE ACCOMMODATING PEOPLE, BUT NOT RCI? HOW GREEDY ARE YOU??? And Mike - your nastiness because "you've been taking similar calls all day" is unacceptable. Get a new job.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

The number of properties that RCI has available for exchanges has dwindled to less than half what we were originally shown when we purchased our timeshare over 17 years ago. How do I know this? Because we have recently attended time share presentations, and they showed us an old RCI catalog that was thick like a phone book. What RCI used to mail to our household was a property catalog maybe 3/4 of an inch thick- nowhere near the size that the timeshare salesperson presented.

You can't book the popular, 5 star properties because they simply are not available, no matter how far in advance you reserve, or they might be available during the offseason but rare. RCI is now owned by Wyndham (they own Worldmark, too), but they reserve prime or high season for their own members. Period. It is unfortunate that my husband purchased Silver Lake Resort in Kissimmee, FL before we met. They only use RCI, so we are stuck with them until we get rid of our timeshare.

Hi Helen,

We would be happy to take a look at your account and help you look for your dream vacation. Working with one of our experienced Vacation Guides can help greatly in finding what you are looking for, or setting up an ongoing search. Please feel free to send us an email at talktous@rci.com with your membership number and we can assist from there.
Kind Regards,

Kathleen, RCI Social Media Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I had the misfortune of attending a sales presentation at the Grandview today; a timeshare company in Las Vegas. The presentation was to last 90 minutes, but they extended it 3.5 hours. And the agent kept saying he was making it faster than normal. The experience was unprofessional & makes no financial sense. When you add up the cost one is smarter to rent a hotel in Vegas & not be locked into a contract with yearly expenses. If you want a timeshare buy it on the resale market. You will pay half or less because people want out. This is not an investment.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Updated on 03/06/2020: This is an update to my prior review. Only a day or two after submitting my one star review (less than one, but that's not an option), RCI claimed "on my review" that a resolution was in progress. It's a lie! They have in no way contacted me, made any changes to my account, nor resolved anything! I am undertaking a course of action for all those who were cheated by them. I'm not surprised that there are so many in my area.

Original review: We purchased a week with RCI based on the sales peoples explanations and the original documentation they supplied (more was subsequently mailed to us two weeks later). Shortly thereafter we started receiving endless phone calls offering to "better explain" RCI's services. After a few questions we discovered all they really wanted was for us to spend more money to upgrade, 6,000$ a step. No real explanations of anything. Now it's been 2 years since we started our membership and we haven't been able to use it because of an accident which left me handicapped. But we did get a postcard inviting us to a seminar to better explain how RCI works. Right! We went, but it wasn't a seminar, it was a sales event, they wanted us to upgrade. After explaining my health problem they did offer to help us, at least offering to extend our unused points. That never happened, by the way.

We explained my situation, my health problem, my inability to travel. We'd like to sell or rent as we'd been told we could when we purchased the slot. They answered that they had sold us a "break the ice" time slot that no one (except us?) would want. Just to get us to buy the membership! They wouldn't even try to sell or rent for us!

We spoke to two different people while there and they couldn't agree on anything except for one. The people who sold us the membership weren't RCI employees and didn't know what they were talking about. They just worked for the local resort. WRONG! They identified themselves as RCI, at an RCI sponsored event, and were selling RCI product. RCI was responsible no matter who they claim these people were. RCI is all about lies, corruption, and do anything to make a sale. The only "so called" resolution they offered was for us to "PAY TO UPGRADE!" for 7,500$ a step! Avoid these shysters! Even the people steps above us complain.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I'll start by saying, my wife and I have been an RCI members since 1990. Since that time, we've traded our week numerous times for other locations and without incident, with one exception. Today (02/04/20), we traded our week for a vacation in Palm Springs, CA. When we received our confirmation, it read 'Thank you for protecting your vacation!'. However, we never chose the protection nor have we ever.

When we called back to inquire about the confusion, we discovered that the new practice is NOT ask the customer if they want the protection and when asking if you approve of the amount you are being charged... they do NOT itemize the total charges. THIS IS DECEPTIVE, plain and simple. You are clearly given the option to choose vacation protection on the website when booking your vacation, why are you not given the same option when speaking with an agent? How many people have been unknowingly duped because of this OVERTLY DECEPTIVE PRACTICE?

RCI Company Information