2. Travel

1.2/5 (60 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

RCI company is full of lies. Do not deal with them or any other timeshare company in the world. You will 100% regret it. It will cost you 10k to get out of a timeshare or your credit store will go down by 200 points for 7 to 10 years. Run Away.

RCI response

Hi Valentin, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property. If we can assist you with your exchange benefits through our program, please email us at talktous@rci.com. For questions/concerns about your ownership, please contact your home resort/vacation club. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

We have been members of RCI for over 10 years. Last year we purchased 5 travel packages as we had retired and planned on traveling, then Covid. Sunday I accessed the travel package page to book a premium cruise for 2, had technical difficulties and was not able to book. The certificate expired on 9/28. I called 9/29 to see about extending the expiration date as cruise lines are not booking now until January. I was transferred 7 times, told they could not help me, I should call corporate, another transfer, corporate transferred me back to travel packages who said they couldn't help me. I am very dissatisfied and frustrated and will never book a travel package with RCI again.

RCI response

Hi Mark, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Resolution response: Sept. 28, 2020

I appreciate the time the representative took to reach out and explain the timing of the deposits vs. RCI membership. She clearly demonstrated that customer satisfaction was more important. Thank you for the consideration.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

In 2017, I combined deposits for 2 years, then in 2019 I extended the combined deposit for one year. The deposit was set to expire August 2019, when you extended the new expiration date was August 2020. Unfortunately I did not realize this and did not receive any notification. The service rep's response was we are not in a position to waive the extension fee for all members’ expiring points or deposits. Really? In a pandemic? I have been a member for close to 10 years - really? So very disappointing. Dr. **.

RCI response

Hi Susan, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with your inquiry and be sure to include your RCI membership number. Thank you, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We only have our RCI membership through another timeshare company affiliated with them that so far is easy to work with. We planned a trip to Ireland, Pre-pandemic, and had to reschedule the initial trip. We ended up needing to reschedule the the new date, again due to COVID restrictions. They did not have any lodging available for the new time frame in Ireland, but did through their 3rd party for hotels. Since we rescheduled twice, they refunded roughly half of the trip and gave us a coupon to utilize by the end of the year. The kicker is that coupon isn’t good towards the hotels because they are a 3rd party affiliate (even though it is under their name). We will not be able to utilize the coupon and they will not refund it so we can use it through their affiliate site.

When speaking to the supervisor by the name of Tyler, he was extremely rude, not letting myself or my husband complete a sentence to explain anything. He kept referring to their policies. When we had scheduled the trips the first and second time, nothing was mentioned of the pandemic cancellation policies. Per the policies listed at the bottom of the emails confirming trips, is completely opposite of their advice when I have called in. The closer you wait to cancel, the less refund you get. Every time we called to reschedule, they tell us to wait closer to the date of stay, which ultimately ensures that you are tied to their resorts. Especially during the pandemic when everything is so up in the air. Definitely do not recommend using RCI.

RCI response

Hi Tara, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Thank you, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

We have been RCI members since 1995. It was a great experience in the early years as you exchanged a week for a week. Since Wyndham purchased the company the exchange fees, combining fees, annual membership fee, etc. have all increased significantly over the years. Canadian members have to pay $335 for each week that they exchange. I deposited my weeks with them and exchanged for six weeks in Florida. It cost me $2,010 just to exchange my weeks. This is on top of paying $4,200 in maintenance fees at my home resort. Oh yeah, there was also another $200 on top of this to RCI to "combine" my trading credits so I could book the last week in Florida. These fees are all on top of the annual membership fee and the platinum upgrade fee. All the fees are getting out of line now that everything is computerized and you do everything yourself on their website.

Wyndham through RCI has now made it less economical to own and exchange a timeshare. If all the owners start feeling the same way and stop banking their weeks with RCI and just use or rent their weeks themselves, RCI will have no inventory and no way of sucking all this revenue from us owners. We are their life blood but they may be killing their golden goose by charging the owners all these fees! Owners should consider an alternate option for their weeks in order to get Wyndham to reassess their pricing policy, especially for just combining your own trading credits.

RCI response

Hi Gerald, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our fees. As an independent timeshare exchange company, we do charge fees for our services. We encourage you to email us at talktous@rci.com with your membership number if you have further questions or concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

The resorts are often poor quality and you can get a better deal by purchasing your vacation directly. The costs are never ending and the company is difficult to deal with. You also have to book so far in advance to get a decent resort. There truly are no deals. During COVID 19 the company would not extend weeks or membership. They only offered a small discount. This was such a waste of our vacation money. A timeshare is always the wrong decision! Do your research and run the numbers!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

First I would like to share that we have been members of RCI for at least 26 or 27 years. It started out very good but now it is unrecognizably horrible!!! We have a place in Maui that I always deposit with RCI and I always try to get it for the most desirable weeks in Summer so it will be very valuable to RCI. I used to be able to easily trade it for comparable properties but this is impossible to do now! My searches never come up with anything! As a result I have I think 120 points!!!!

I am so angry that after a phone call to them this evening, I found out that because of Covid, the resort I had to cancel had points expiring at the end of this month and instead of giving me time to do a new search, I was told I had to book and go somewhere else basically in the next couple weeks or I would lose those points. Or they would be generous to me and extend the points for a discounted rate of 99!!! Oh and I can't get my $239 exchange fee refunded either!

To add insult to injury the first person I spoke to obviously didn't know much because I could tell she was reading all of her responses to me. My account, deposits and searches, etc. have been so messed up before by uninformed new employees that I politely asked to speak to a supervisor. Normally in the past this has helped but tonight I spoke to a supervisor named Nora who obviously had no intention on helping me in any way. After our discussion was becoming more and more frustrating I asked her if I could speak to her supervisor. She said that "it was against their policy". What!?!

I am sorry, I have held up my end and been a loyal customer for 26-27 years, always paying my dues and fees, always depositing a great property for the best time of the year, only to be treated this way??? I am furious!!! They have made so many mistakes over the years, like letting me search for places that they show in their system, but then I find out after wasting my search time, that the resort doesn't even trade with RCI!!! Their reps have said they would search places for me only for me to find out later that they didn't do what they said they were going to do. The quality of resorts is now horrible!!!! At this point there are very few resorts I would consider similar to what I am depositing.

The location of their inventory is pitiful! I thought maybe I could use up some points by staying near some national parks or places of interest that I could drive to during this quarantine, but there is nothing!!!! Often the information an RCI rep tells you is wrong, so make sure you document who you speak with and ideally record the conversation. They have no problem lying to you to get you to pay more fees just to get basic service.

I honestly could go on and on. But basically this company is nothing like what they once were. I guess I stayed with them so far because I keep hoping maybe it is just a bad representative, or a one time mistake but after tonight I don't think so. I want to be able to use my points, all 120 of them, and to not have to pay a dime more to do it!!!! I didn't think this was too much to ask, but after tonight's phone call with them, I guess it is.

Resolution response: July 22, 2020

Well, A bad review nets a welcome response. Although one should not have to write a bad review for results, I am happy with the outcome. While I still believe that the Timeshare companies and RCI need better regulation. I am happy with the resolution at this time.

Original review: July 21, 2020

After reading all the negative reviews here, I am adding to the count. I have been a member for 20 years and finally learned how to use the points according to their "policy". I booked a week (Sep 12-19) in Cozumel and recently found out directly from the hotel that they are closed through Oct 15. I contacted RCI to switch to another hotel that is open and all they do is quote their "policy" from a script. They said I would lose my $239 exchange fee if I cancel instead of being helpful and switch me to the other hotel.

Now I had to confirm the other hotel and pay another $239 to make sure I had a room (Airlines already booked) and hope that they refund my exchange fee once they verify the hotel is actually closed. They actually do not refund your money, but offer a credit, which I lose if I don't use it, which is theft in my book). A little kindness and consideration would go a long way but the management of RCI hasn't taught Customer Service 101 yet. I am saddened and disappointed in the way RCI values the dollar more than their clients.

RCI response

Hi Conrad, we have responded to your Facebook PM. :) Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 15, 2020

I purchased a cruise certificate from RCI travel. I booked the cruise for Spring 2020 and the cruise was cancelled due to Covid. I asked RCI to refund my money as the purpose of the cruise was for my mother who has dementia to spend some time with the grandkids while she can remember it and now with Covid and not knowing when we will ever be able to go it just doesn’t make sense to have that money tied up. We have been RCI members since the 70s when my grandparents bought two weeks. RCI has made plenty of money off of us in the 50 years (that counts for nothing) of our ownership.

First of all trying to reach the correct department at RCI is very difficult. For sure you can never get in touch with the same person you had been speaking to. There is no manager to speak with so if your representative can not solve your issue then you are left with the option of sending a letter off to an address they reluctantly provide but without the name of anyone to address it to. 6 weeks later I received a call from a gentleman that said refunds are not an option. He gave me the choice of cancelling the certificate and losing my $4,000. Um NO! Or booking a cruise for me. Um NO!

Is anyone in their right mind getting on a cruise right now?! And with an elderly mother no less? I asked the gentleman if I could speak with his manager and his response was that he is the manager. Evidently he does not have a boss and he suggested that I resend my letter and hope that it reaches a different manager next time! WHAT?! This is customer service? I told him that RCI could learn a thing or two from Jet Blue. He thanked me for my advice and hung up the phone. So here I sit (still) frustrated and no resolve.

RCI response

Hi Kelly, I am very sorry for the frustration. I did receive your email and have forwarded it to a supervisor in our cruise area. Someone should be reaching out to you soon. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 11, 2020

My husband and I have use of RCI through another timeshare company, BlueGreen. We have been very happy with BlueGreen for over 20 years. We tried using RCI a number of years ago and the experience was awful so we just haven't used it since. We have been told repeatedly at our BlueGreen updates that RCI is much easier to work with now - they no longer keep your points if you can't find a resort you like. So... I logged onto the RCI site and first of all - they were using my old last name - a name that changed 17 years ago. We went through the entire legal process of changing my name on the deed, adding my new husband as an owner and removing my deceased step-father. RCI still had all the old information including an e-mail address long gone. I was told to call BlueGreen about it. They did accept the e-mail change because they did want to communicate with me.

I found a resort I liked, read through the description - noted it was a 3 star resort and booked it. 11,000 points and a $239.00 exchange fee. That's not cheap in the time-share world. I never got an e-mail confirmation from RCI but 2 days later - after the 24 hour cancellation time frame - I did get an e-mail saying there was an extra $29.95 a day "amenities fee" and they just wanted us to know that so we could plan for it. I had never heard of an amenities fee before. Parking fees - yes, always presented on the first page describing the resort. I e-mailed back and said I had never heard of these amenities fees - supposedly they were to use the pool and the exercise room - this is only a 3 star resort - and if we chose not to use the pool and the exercise room did we still have to pay that?. There was no answer.

I e-mailed 1 more time saying we were cancelling - I knew we were past the cancelation date but I had never received a confirmation e-mail to begin with. I finally called and was told the info regarding the fees was in bold RED LETTERS right in the resort description. That was an outright lie. I searched for any mention of those fees and they were mentioned on page 2 of the description, under fees, halfway through the list in the same font and color as everything else. Only if you read everything regarding that resort would you find the mention of the fees. It's almost like they didn't want you to find it knowing most people don't read everything.

The RCI representative originally said we would lose the exchange fee of 239.00 but would not lose the 11,000 points. She excused herself to make those changes and came back on the line to tell me we would lose all the points too. We were on vacation during this time in a place where the cell phone reception was spotty as was the internet. I finally called BlueGreen to discuss the entire issue and the woman from BlueGreen was nice enough, she got a representative from RCI on the phone but oddly enough, I never heard that person's voice. The BlueGreen rep kept switching back and forth from me to the RCI rep but I never actually talked to the RCI rep. A little strange.

The BlueGreen rep finally came on the line and said RCI would give us 8,500 points back but not the fee. I agreed to that. I never received a e-mail regarding the 8,500 points in RCI's account. RCI would not give the points back to BlurGreen - they stayed at RCI - I don't know how I am supposed to access them. Do they stay in red season or are they moved to blue or white? Do they exist at all given I never received an e-mail confirming this arrangement? I am now disputing the 239.00 fee through my credit card given the very poor service and lack of an initial confirmation e-mail that should have come right after the reservation was confirmed. I have been lied to by RCI - just like years ago and my 8,500 points are floating around somewhere at RCI if they do indeed exist.

At this point I want all 11,000 points back in my BlueGreen account. Some of our fees paid to BlueGreen every year go to maintain our account with RCI - I don't know if we can eliminate that or not. RCI - step up - look into this - under the correct last name and fix this. I promise never to bother RCI again but I want my points back in the BlueGreen account. My initial feelings regarding RCI are now stronger than ever. Eileen and Joe **

RCI response

Hi Eileen, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number so we can address your concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 4, 2020

My family and I have been members Of RCI since 2004. In the beginning it was great! Soon after the fees began to rise. We had 6 vacations booked for 2020 and 4 had to be cancelled thus far due to the pandemic! We have a credit of approximately $900 and after calling and trying to get help, we found out our credits will expire in December one in September and they are refusing to give us an extension even though the cancellations are due to the pandemic. Airlines worked with us to satisfaction but the company we were loyal to RCI did nothing!!

We strongly advise if you are thinking of joining the RCI FAMILY DON’T DO IT! Not only did they refuse to refund the money but they also refused to put any of the $900 towards future maintenance fees, hotel stays or anything other than vacations we are unsure about! We are expected to book 4 vacation within 6 months! We are truly considering walking away from RCI altogether! At a time when people have no jobs or income they refuse to refund our money!! If you are planning to do business with RCI I strongly advise you to think again! I am so disappointed in RCI!

RCI response

Hi Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 27, 2020

We had booked out summer vacation with RCI since Jan 2020. Then Covid19 hits and the Canada-US border are closed. We held on and still hoped that we could go on our vacation. But things did not get better. Today I finally decided to cancel our booking. This is already such a huge disappointment. I was much much more disappointed that RCI will not refund our exchange fee. We were given a credit and we only have till December to use this credit. This is so ridiculous. First of all we are not canceling for the fun of it. These are unusual times, the border to US is still closed and we are forced to cancel. Even if we were able to go we will have to quarantine when we come back. We will not be able to quarantine when we come back due to work. My husband has to work outside of the home. We will not be able to use this credit by December.

This is hugely disappointing from RCI. Even during those harsh times they choose to withhold our money. We are already on reduced income. We have no choice here, we have to cancel the vacation. Your policy is unacceptable. All other companies our friends have booked with have issued them a full refund. If you cannot support your members in the most unprecedented times we have seen, shame on you. Disgusting.

RCI response

Hi Towhida, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please note, while the exchange fee coupon on your account is set to expire on 12/31/20, the vacation you book using it, can fall after that date. Feel free to email me at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 23, 2020

I been a member of RCI for nearly 40 years, they were great then, a lot of resorts to choose and you can apply your points to any air travel, cruise or car rental. I am a platinum member just because when booking airfare I like to use the max of my points. Today I want to book a flight and to my dismay RCI have stop booking airfare using your points and the only partnership is with the hotels, using just 2000 points per stay. They say it was posted on the website. Well what about an email notification? I am very disappointed with this company and their lack of communication. I am seriously thinking of terminating my membership and renting the unit directly.

Original review: June 22, 2020

We had a vacation scheduled in May, but due to Covid 19, the resort closed and our vacation was cancelled by RCI. Our exchange was set to expire in June 2020, so it will expire in a few days. Unlike airlines, hotels, etc., RCI is still sticking to that it will expire, and that I must pay a large fee if I don't want it to expire. This is unacceptable in these times when all these other companies are being kind to their customers and allowing expirations to be extended. RCI is not kind, they are way outside of the curve! I agree with another reviewer, who apparently has had the same experience.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Like most people, my vacation was canceled due to the pandemic and in order to rebook, I was told to pay another membership fee. Why? This is lacks customer support and doesn't make sense! This is the worst company to deal with and I do not recommend them to anyone. Buyer beware! I have requested that my fees should be credited to use at a future date, but no, they want an additional fee! This company is a sham!

RCI response

Hi Gina, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 12, 2020

I had 2 separate one-week reservations (in March and June) and both were cancelled by RCI due to Covid-19. My points are scheduled to expired July 2020. I asked for an extension on my points and was denied. I have also asked for a refund on my exchange fee which is $239 each and was denied. They will only give me credit for another exchange and are making me pay a fee to extend my points beyond the July 2020. It is impossible to fit in 2 one-week vacations by July when everything still shut down. Absolutely unacceptable. I have been a member of RCI for over 20 years and this is how they treat their customers during a pandemic.

RCI response

Hi Lisa, we did address your issue last week. Please respond to our email if you have any questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 2, 2020

I been a member of RCI for 30 years, they were great then, a lot of resorts to choose and you can apply your points to any air travel, cruise or car rental. I am a platinum members just because when booking airfare I like to use the max of my points. Lately I want to book a flight and to my dismay RCI have stop booking airfare using your points, instead they advise me to use points in nightly hotel, when I tried to do that the site didnt exist. I am very disappointed with this company anymore. It is not worth it to just keep paying a yearly maintenance. I am thinking to stop my membership with them.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I've been a member of RCI since I've had my timeshare in Cabo San Lucas since 1997. I've never been hugely favorable of RCI due to ever increasing fees and fees for everything you do, but my latest experience in cancelling reservations and being held to their unfavorable policy that isn't being adjusted to accommodate plans beyond just a few months of the pandemic. Other companies (I'll use United Airlines in this case) have sent personal emails offering support and changes in policies that go until the end of 2020 and then committing to work with customers in rebooking vacations, waiving all fees in the process. RCI won't adjust and will charge me the full fee (not getting any credit to rebook into future).

I had plans for September 2020, but all parties that were coming are uncomfortable and have asked me to rebook into 2021. I've had plans cancel this year for multiple concerts I wanted to see and have either been refunded the full cost or been given the option of rolling the ticket until next year when the tour is rescheduled. This is reasonable. Not RCI. I've contacted customer support now twice and have been told the same thing in less than accommodating fashion. Just, this is company policy, sorry, you will lose the fee you paid and if you rebook, you will be charged the same fee, essentially causing double the financial commitment. All I'm asking is for is to allow me to rebook in 2021 with no additional fee and not losing the fee. RCI is the worst, so glad my timeshare is done in 2022. Never again, don't think RCI is your friend.

RCI response

Hi Andrew, I'm very sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: June 19, 2020

I was able to resolve some of the issues direct with RCI, they did refund my booking fee of $239.00. My points will still expire unless I pay more to extend them. RCI attempted to advocate for me with AM Resorts to get my all inclusive fees refunded, but ultimately, it was my call to VISA and filing a disputed charge claim that got my refund back. This whole process took almost 90 days and hours of my time with emails and phone calls to finally get what was owed to me to begin with, I am so not impressed with RCI customer services, and I stand by my 1 star rating. This should have never had to go this far.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I have been a Points member of RCI since 2009. We receive annual vacation points with RCI through a vacation package we purchased with H-10 Hotels, so we thought of it as a possible bonus to our vacation inventory - boy were we wrong!! Since 2009 we have booked maybe 6 or 7 vacations using their listing of resorts which is less than honest - we have had a negative experience with all but 1. The latest was an all inclusive in Mexico we booked in February which was cancelled March 23rd due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and border closing. First, understand that the booking fees to use points were $69.00 when we started in 2009 and are now $239.00 in addition to the points that are being used and if it is an all inclusive resort you must pay the all inclusive rate, still with all that we went ahead and did it because we had points expiring (which is another rip off).

When we booked the vacation, RCI customer service agent told us we had to prepay the all inclusive fee to secure the rate we booked it at. We were told that if we didn't prepay the resort could charge us more once we got there, so as skeptical as I was, we did it. Here is the catch, RCI doesn't tell you that if you prepay and the trip is cancelled, they will take no responsibility for the refund that is due in accordance with THEIR cancelation policy, they blame it all on the resort and you are left trying to negotiate a refund direct with the resort in Mexico. That is the kind of customer/member assistance that you get from RCI.

In addition, RCI refuses to provide a refund for the booking fee and like others, they put the points back to my account but they will expire on August 30, 2020 and to extend them they want another $135.00. This company is so full of deceptive practices and hidden fees it is unbelievable. BTW, I am still waiting for my refund of $934.00 for the prepayment of the all inclusive rate, it has been over 60 days and when I pleaded with RCI for help, all I got was they have no authority to help. so as I said in the beginning, STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY, their business practices are despicable.

RCI response

Hi Suzan, we have received your email and are doing a little research. We will respond once we have more info. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: May 22, 2020

RCI just notified me that my valuable RCI points are expiring on May 30, 2020. I contacted RCI re: an extension and they are charging members to extend their time which I think is shameful. They should waive the fees considering how much we pay for annual maintenance fees. I have been an owner for over 30 years and am appalled by their actions.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Advised by resort April 6th that they would not be open for our May 1st arrival. Contacted RCI for a refund on April 8th. Initially said they would hold $350 but would credit our credit card for the remaining $513.94. Credit card rec'd $493.94 on April 8. Called again on April 16, agent spoke to supervisor and I was advised that the remaining credit would be applied to my credit card. Rec'd additional credit of $20 on April 25. Called again on April 28, spoke to "Jasmine" and was advised that the remaining $350 credit to my credit card was in progress. "They" were now processing April 8 request so that I would have mine within the next 2 weeks.

May 19th and no further credit. Call RCI again and spoke with "Alex" who advised me that none of the previous conversations were noted on my file. They could not credit my credit card with the $350 but could leave it as a voucher on my acct to be used by October 2021. I asked how and who would have deleted the previous conversations. Did not get a satisfactory reply. I have been misled and lied to by the representatives of this company. I did not cancel my vacation, the resort did. I want and need MY money.

RCI response

Hi Michael, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your membership number so I can take a closer look at your account. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: May 11, 2020

We have been members for about 30 years with good results in the early years, but has turned sour to very bad the last 10 years. Last year we had decided that we no longer desired to travel any more due to age, and the additional costs and the inability to locate available resorts in the locations we would choose. So we decided not to renew our RCI membership. My last trip with RCI was in January of 2020. In speaking with the agents during this time, when they asked about renewal, I mentioned that I would not be renewing my membership and just use my week at the resort in the future. Nothing else was said. My membership lapsed January 31st of this year.

Come time to use my ownership week in May I was told by the resort and RCI that my membership was still active until 2023! Without dues being paid. So I could lose my week for this year after paying my maintenance fees, I got nothing? Of course I could reinstate and pay back fees. So without paying dues, RCI can take the week I paid for and use it in their inventory. And without my permission! The resort, Highland Verde is complicit in this and I may not get my week this year. RCI has a cancellation policy to be submitted. Our signatures are not enough, though we are the owners, but must also be signed by those designated to use the facilities as well.

RCI response

Hi William, we'd like the opportunity address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 12, 2020

On the morning of May 12th I was contacted by RCI and they refunded me the fee. They also kept my membership going for the year but after this experience, starting with booking, I don't think I'll be using it.

Original review: May 8, 2020

My booked week was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I was told that in order to re-book my week I had to pay for another year's membership. I was told they would not re-book the week for me because my account had to be paid at the time of check-in. My week was for the beginning of April, my membership ended the last day of April. I could not have known that I wouldn't be able to use that week as planned and I couldn't re-book it before the end of April because everything was still in shutdown. They informed me that they had a credit of $239.00 and that I would have to re-book before six months past in order to preserve that credit, otherwise I would have had to pay another exchange/transfer fee. So no help from them, just a request for payment for another membership.

RCI response

Hi Donna, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 15, 2020

Was contacted by RCI. They did help navigate reservations. 3 stars for the rude and inconsiderate "Tiffany" original Customer Service Rep.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Have been an RCI customer for over 15 years. Never been impressed with this company but now am very displeased and will be filing a formal complaint and negative forum reviews everywhere possible. Just experienced a situation where the Rep claimed something that was untrue. When I told her she was wrong and that I had already confirmed with Bluegreen that the resort we had just booked was closed, she got offended and put me on hold so that I couldn't leave her negative feedback on the RCI Quality question that is asked at the end of the call. BEWARE!!! AVOID THIS COMPANY! RCI is booking weeks at Resorts that are closed. They then will keep your booking money for future reservation. THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!! RCI does not have the right to book units at closed resorts then hold your money. I will be filing a formal complaint.

RCI response

Hi John, your comment concerns us and we'd like the opportunity to investigate. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 29, 2020

My points were expiring Jan 31, 2020. I had already paid to have them extended and paid the exchange fee for two rooms for a family spring break vacation March 27, 2020 - April 05, 2020. The state of Hawaii and California was shut down due to COVID-19. Both the hotel and airline canceled my stay and tickets. I called RCI and I was not given a refund for the two exchange fees I paid. I was only given until June 2020 to book my vacation or my credit would be lost. I also have to pay more money for my points to be extended. I feel that because this is a global epidemic that fee should have been waived and I should be entitled to a full refund. How can I book for a vacation for this year 2020 or the early months of 2021 if the whole world is still going through lockdowns and nonessential travel is not permitted.

I’ve tried calling and have been on hold for two hours and have had my calls even dropped. I’m trying to get a refund but I am having no luck. June is quickly approaching and the city where I live just announced we will have shelter in place through the month of MAY. I understand there are policies in place however, this is a special circumstance that the entire world is experiencing and RCI is not handling this with sensitivity.

RCI response

Hi Martha, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our current cancel policy. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 13, 2020

I posted my initial review on this site without a large expectation of having this resolved to my satisfaction. Kathleen from RCI contacted me, and we have resolved the situation to a level that is very satisfactory to myself... I am very happy then to upgrade my star rating and my satisfaction with RCI in repairing this problem. Thank you Kathleen.

Larry

Original review: April 28, 2020

Last year (2019) we purchased a cruise package (about 4000cdn). We initially tried to book a cruise, but availability was very limited. This Year the Coronavirus pandemic has hit and most cruise lines have shut down or severely limited their offerings as well as airflight restrictions by the airlines. We have contacted RCI cruise to ask for a refund due to their inability to fulfill their end of the contract as agreed to at the outset... Their response is to only offer a two month extension on booking and travel times--no refunds!! They are in my view clearly in breach of contract... If anyone is starting a class action lawsuit, we would be happy to join in. Larry **, Red Deer, Alberta **

RCI response

Hi Larry, we're sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 24, 2020

I had a 3/29/2020 vacation cancelled due to Covid 19. RCI put some of those points in an expiring points account indicating I have to use them by May 30, 2020 or pay to extend them. I called on 4/23 while we are still on a stay at home order they still insisted I had to vacation prior to 5/30/2020 or pay. So while all other companies in our country are trying to extend due dates and help people this company is not willing to do the right thing simply by allowing these points to go into the regular acct. By the way I did make a reservation for next year they refuse to use these point. I cannot vacation prior to the end of May if it is open because I am a nurse on a Covid 19 unit.

RCI response

Hi Patty, we did receive your email and have responded. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 23, 2020

We had our vacation booked for April 24 - May 1st (with our expiry date of April 30th) with a resort through RCI. The resort had email/informed us of their closure due to COVID-19 and won't be re-opening until possibly June. I requested a cancellation request to RCI, which they returned our points to our account but now they want us to PAY for the extension!! This is not fair - we booked before our expiry date! They should extend it FREE to us since it is NOT OUR FAULT that the resort closed. They also have credited us the payment that we must book a new date by Oct 31st - they refuse to give us our money back! So what choice do we have other than pay for the extension?? They are NOT sympathetic to the current situation!! WE ARE NOT HAPPY!!

RCI response

Hi Mike, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: April 22, 2020

Kathleen provided the service that I've always received from RCI. In spite of the coronavirus problems she more than resolved my problem. Not only is RCI 5 star but Kathleen is one of the reasons they are a 5 star.

Original review: April 22, 2020

In December we booked a unit at Wyndham Patriot for the week of June 7. It was 11 points and $239. The place is currently under lock down due to the virus. The unit we are staying at has been reduced to 7 points and other weeks following are as low as 4 points. RCI just explained to me that in order to change to a later week, in hopes that more will be open or to reduce my points I would have to cancel my reservation but would only get 9 points and lose the $239. I could then rebook but I'd have to pay another $239. At least the intro to their call days they care about their clients. As the two days I'm sure they'll be open. We've been a member for several years and have always spoken highly of our membership but I guess I may have been wrong.

RCI response

Hi John, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have been a member with RCI since 2008, I have 8 points due to expire April 30, 2020, when I called RCI to inquire about my points I was informed that I could pay an additional $99.00 to extend my points for 1 year, and I also have a 1 week vacation scheduled for JULY 9, 2020, I was informed that I needed to wait until 30 days prior before my vacation date to see what is going on with COVID-19, or I could pay an additional Protection fee and it would protect my week and my money I paid for the exchange would be put on the books for credit.

This pandemic has changed the way I would be able to vacation later. Please help me in obtaining my 8 points without losing them and paying additional money, and also making sure I don't lose my money or timeshare points. This crisis have so many people out of work and no income coming into there household. My rci membership is paid out until 2022, and my platinum membership is paid in full and due to expire in July 2020.

RCI response

Hi Deena, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

RCI Company Information