2. Travel

1.3/5 (53 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: March 29, 2021

I have been with RCI for over a decade. We had to cancel our Florida vacation last March break due to covid and immediately extend our deposit by a year. A year later the Canadian border is still closed and we are unable to travel. My spouse is even under threat of termination if we do. Our deposit is expiring again as well as other future deposits so we have to either extend or combine again to keep them. RCI is offering no special rates or offers to do this and their agents (presumably under management direction) will not budge to help. REALLY disappointed in RCI.

RCI response

Hi Les, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 20, 2021

My husband and I did a trial timeshare with 30,000 points. We made a monthly payment for a year before being able to use our points. We spent about a thousand dollars. We booked a 4 night vacation that we had to cancel because of Covid. The company was good at helping us purchase insurance to be able to cancel and get all points back.They also extended our trial another year due to Covid. We also did get a refund on the booking fee. (Yes, there is an additional fee to use your points to book a vacation!)

When we were able to use our points again we booked a 2 night stay in Vegas. We wanted to add another night and had a hard time since that resort didn't allow check ins on a Thursday. We had to cancel that booking and search for a new stay. We had a hard time finding a hotel within our point limit that allowed the check in day we needed. We eventually found another resort and booked a 3 night stay in Vegas using most of our points. Hotel stay was nothing special and after we did the math we could have spent half of the full cost we paid for our trial timeshare using another travel site such as Priceline. And we also had to pay a Housekeeping fee because we didn't stay a full week! Which was over 100 dollars. Our points wouldn't allow us to stay a full week even if we wanted too!

We now have about 620 points leftover and the only option to use them is to get a reduced nightly hotel stay. So we pay more money to use our points! Again we can get about the same discounted rate for the hotel stay on other sites. I understand we can roll our points over to another year but we are not signing up for anything else with this company as we are not satisfied. We should have just put our money into a travel savings account. I'm also still waiting on a 30 dollar refund that wasn't used from the booking fee from the very first vacation we had to cancel.

Pros:
Friendly, good customer service.

Easy to navigate website.

Cons:
Not worth the money you pay.
Extra Booking, Insurance and Housekeeping Fees.

Most resorts/hotels were not worth all the points they were listed as!

RCI response

Hi Christen, feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com if we can address your concerns. Be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 19, 2021

I booked a vacation with RCI Travel only to find out after purchasing my flight the location is on the US State Departments do not fly list for US Citizens. They never informed me of this. When I attempted to switch to a new location I was given the runaround placed on hold for more than 3 hours with no assistance. Then when I contacted RCI I learn they aren't even the same company. RCI Travel is a 3rd party that preys on customers who have RCI properties. This is unforgivable. At a time when Travel so limited they take advantage of innocent people.

RCI response

Hi A, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with additional information and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 17, 2021

Had to rebook reservation 3 times because of covid restrictions in my state. Every time was and increase in points and dollars then when I get to resort the booking clearly states maximum occupancy 4/4 private. There is one bed and one pull out couch. Nothing in the reservation states that privacy in 4 actually means privacy for two (2). Instant upcharge of 350$ for the week. Even though only 3 people went. Went round and round with two very incapable customer service reps and get absolutely nowhere. Would not recommend this company to ANYONE PERIOD.

RCI response

Hi Robert, I understand you're frustrated. As explained in my FB convo with you, a 1/4/4 unit means it is a one bedroom that has either a queen or king in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room with separate access to the bathroom for each couple. I do apologize for the confusion and hope future exchanges with us are more positive. Kind Regards, Kathleen M.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I'm shocked. This company is charging to extend vacation weeks that are impossible to use under current pandemic conditions worldwide! I stand to lose 2 premium weeks expiring in May 2021, unless I want to pay $$$ which only extends them another 12-24 months. Why should anyone have to pay for an extension under the current conditions we are all living with? I also have 2 other weeks expiring by Oct 2021.

All existing unused weeks as of the date of WHO declaration of the pandemic should be extended FREE for whatever the length the pandemic is determined to be, so if it is considered to run 18 months then every week in the RCI portal should be extended 18 months from then as well. At this point we can only hope we can travel without restrictions 12 months from now, there are certainly no guarantees especially out of Canada with the very poor vaccine rollout this government is mishandling. I'm through with RCI, I've been a member 12-13 yrs but I won't be renewing my Platinum membership again. I'll be starting a membership with one of the other similar orgs for exchanging weeks in future and I advise everyone in the same boat to do the same.

RCI response

Hi Lynne, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: March 10, 2021

I've been with RCI for 6 years. Their handling of covid and their response to queries has been beyond the pale. As stated by many others there are constant charges to keep what you already paid for. First you pay your resort to transfer a week to RCI. If you're lucky enough to find a resort/hotel that meets your needs then you pay RCI a fee to use it. At this point you're already at almost $300 extra if everthing goes right. Then you have to worry about housekeeping fees and daily resort fees. If you try to book an all inclusive good luck. You can pay less at almost any travel site as they jack the daily all inclusive fee way up. What a scam.

If things dont go right and a you haven't used your transferred week it starts to devaluate at which point in order to book you will need to combine weeks. Yes there is a big fee for that. You can protect the value if you want and (you guessed it) there is an additional fee for that. Since people really were cautioned about travel in 2020 We didnt book anything. We had purchased a platinum membership ($89 per year extra). I was notified that it expired in Dec of 2020. "Would you like to renew?" I asked to have it extended since we couldnt use it in 2020. I was told "It was your choice to not travel. Plenty of people did!" I was dumb struck by that response. I challenged him by saying that there were travel bans and quarantine protocols. I was told that I was exaggerating and the travel wasnt banned everywhere. I was told to send my complaint to their customer service email.

All I had asked was to have my unused platinum membership extended for a year since I had paid for it and had no chance to use it. I received a response: I was welcome to extend my platinum membership for an additional $89. They couldnt give me anything because they needed to charge to stay in business. Now extending my unused membership would have cost them nothing. In most likelihood I still wouldnt be able to use use it. At worst I would have receive a 10% discount on a 200 charge if I booked a cash vacation, but they really dont care. They really only care about deceiving and finding new fees to charge. I'm a member until 2024. (I prepaid). Trust me..that MEMBERSHIP IS NON REFUNDABLE but they wont get another dime from me. They also have the worst website in the industry. It crashes constantly. In an hour your likely to have to start over at least three times.

RCI response

Hi Peter, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I am highly disappointed in both Wyndham and RCI resorts. We pay a monthly maintenance fee and monthly loan/mortgage fee only to still have to pay for everything upon traveling. Food, parking, resort fees, exchange feel, housekeeping fees etc. etc. etc. We were under the impression that if we wanted to go somewhere that was not offered by Wyndham to search the RCI affiliate, pay an exchange fee and book - which we did only to find out that there were still an astronomical amount of fees associated.

On top of that we transferred pretty much all of our points to keep from losing due to Covid restrictions only to find out they are non-refundable or we can't get them back (at least into our Wyndham account) so that we may find somewhere "we can" go. Everything seems to be completely booked within RCI until later this year. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to be honest at this point and if you add up what you pay in all these fees and monthly payment, you'd be better to put that to the side and catch an all inclusive deal directly with the resort.

RCI response

Hi Ti, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. If we can be of assistance finding you a vacation, please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Bought a package with 2 cruises and a resort for a set price. Got an extra resort stay for paying package early. When COVID struck didn't make reservations as fast as I would have. When I went online to check account found I had missed deadline to book one of the cruises. They refused to re-instate it. Happened again with a resort week's stay. I paid for these. There should have been some waiver for COVID. They offered NOTHING!!

RCI response

Hi Kim, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I tried booking a holiday through RCI and it was the most horrifying experience. They will charge you a fee for everything. A fee for booking, a fee for extending, a fee for changing, a fee for cancelling and this is on top of other charges like room charges, cancellation charges etc. No end to the amount of money they try to take out of you. You can do much better by just booking directly with the hotel or resort.

RCI response

Hi Senthilkumar, we are sorry for your frustration. Please email us at talktous@rci.com if we can be of assistance. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Had a great business/pleasure trip to Vegas this weekend. Got caught up by a scammy salesman, but what the heck $200 to have a sketchy salesperson chew my ear off why not??? Anyway I spent 3 hours listening to the sales pitch, and walking around. Didn't mind its free food and coffee. They got so desperate that the "Manager" offered $194 down, and $11,000 total for the property. Nope???? Sorry worked in Real Estate before as a Assistant Property Manager and can't stand timeshares. They're a waste of money that only depreciate and are a flat out scam. I travel too much and have to deal with sketchy sales pitches all the time. Nothing new.

RCI response

Hi Joshua, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property, nor do we employ resort sales staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M, RCI Travel Guide

RCI Company Information