1.2/5 (46 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: May 29, 2022

We decided to do the trial points program with RCI. We are terribly disappointed. We wanted to use it for a vacation with our family and they showed us all these places you can book at. We made mention we had 6 kids which means 8 of us. There is not that many that can do 8 people and the ones that can are more points than we received. We will probably end up not using it a losing the money. Cheaper to do Airbnb

RCI response
Hi Josh, we're sorry to hear of your frustration. If we can assist with our exchange program, please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number.

If you have questions/concerns about your timeshare trial ownership, please contact your home resort/vacation club directly. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Resolution response: June 24, 2022

I wanted to write this follow-up on my previous issue with RCI. They did follow up on the matter and my name was finally added to the account. Furthermore, they dropped the fees for my 4 guest certificates for my holiday this summer as my name is now on the account. I am happy to say that this dispute with RCI is finally resolved.

Original review: May 25, 2022

My spouse and I have been RCI members for 34 years. Thirty-four years that we are stuck with this company as our timeshare can only be traded through them. I have been trying to have my name added to the account for 34 years! They have been giving me the runaround since 1988. And they are smart, they do not leave a paper trail, conversations take place by phone.

Let's first give some background information. The deeds of our timeshares have both our names on them since 1988. Over the years I have been trying to have my name added to the RCI account in order to avoid having to pay for guest certificates. Only the person that has his/her name on the RCI account can use the timeshare without having to pay for an additional guest certificate. I exchanged four weeks for July 2022 and as my name is not on the RCI account, but on the deed, I have to pay for a guest certificate to be able to use my own timeshare!

My spouse, who has his name on the account is not traveling with me. So in an attempt to avoid paying the additional fees I contact RCI again in the hope of having my name added to the account. The customer rep tells me to send our marriage certificate and a copy of the timeshare deed showing that I am the spouse and that I am also on the deed. RCI also claims that they can't find our timeshare. According to their records it is non-existent. So, I ask them how I can exchange my weeks in their system if my weeks are non-existent? Anyway, I send in the requested paperwork and then I am waiting to hear back. Nothing.

I finally get an email back explaining that RCI and the timeshare are two different entities and that I now have to send in a letter by my husband testifying that I can be added to the account. I also did this multiple times over the last 34 years, each time with no response. Apparently, they never needed the marriage certificate and the deed, so why ask for them! As of today this situation is unresolved and I have absolutely no hope that it ever will. RCI wants to sell guest certificates. It is not in their interest to add a spouse to an account, if they can charge that person as a guest.

I contacted the resorts I am visiting this summer and they were adamant. I do need a guest certificate. I love the timeshare system and the possibility to exchange for other units. We bought ours back in 1988 and really used them well. Unfortunately at the time of purchase RCI was the only company that could be used to exchange the units. If I ever buy more timeshare I will definitely try to avoid to have to deal with them.

The RCI employees have no clue about the company's rules and regulations. Thirty-four years to have my name added to the account, and still without success! Over the years I have submitted every single document they requested. I will submit again a letter by my spouse and see what happens next. As I have already done this a couple of times I guess not much will happen. I am sure that charging for guest certificates when my name is on the deed is illegal. I surely can't be the only one having this issue.

RCI response

Hi Caroline, I'm very sorry to hear this. Please email at talktous@rci.com so I can further investigate. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: May 21, 2022

I am a platinum member and have been for over three years now. I keep getting crappy service and no benefits for my membership. What is the point of paying for additional service and benefits when I get nothing for them? What instigated this post is one of their representatives told me today while I called and asked for a room upgrade that they are cancelling one of the reservations that I already have booked to check in the next day. I've got my confirmations and everything. And they acted surprised this is the first time I am hearing this. So now I have to buy a room separately because RCI won’t allow me to book. Get this, I can get a room direct for cheaper. What the hell is that? On top of that not once in over three years have I ever received a single benefit for being a platinum member. This has been a complete scam of a membership platform. I have seen RCI deteriorating drastically over the years.

RCI response

Hi Ryan, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: May 9, 2022

The deals that they negotiate with places for vacation are bad for us. I can get a better deal if I go directly to a vacation place online or on a phone that using my week from the time share. Save money don’t use RCI.

RCI response

Hi Gustavo, we're sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Your RCI Travel Guide

Original review: April 20, 2022

We have been a member of RCI since 2000. We planned and booked a trip in 2020 but unfortunately were not allowed to travel due the pandemic. This resulted in us losing over $1,000.00 with RCI. We spoke to many Customer Representatives and they were not helpful, empathic, supportive and would not refund us our money back. This is very frustrating and unfair as the borders were closed and we were not permitted to travel.

RCI response

Hi Brenda, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 13, 2022

Purchased a cruise certificate a couple years ago and paid on it monthly. We are finally able to book this cruise since covid is lifted. Found out the payments did not go to the cruise only to a "membership" that gives you access to vacations and cruises. I could not get anyone to answer the phone! Finally got some help through Norwegian who they booked the cruise through. I guess they saw Norwegian calling and answered! A small deposit of the $4,000 was put down on the cruise. It was misrepresented. Furthermore RCI says they are not the same company as RCI travel packages. I don't buy it! Why does their paperwork say under contract with RCI, LLC. ? Shame on you! And Norwegian as well for doing business with you! All in it together! Especially the owners of RCI!

RCI response

Hi Pamela, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 12, 2022

I knew RCI was sketchy, for starters after they gave their pitch to sell a $15,000 - $71,000 vacation package. I asked them to see the "Terms and Conditions," contract. They declined to provide this valuable information. Secondly, I asked for "Reviews," I wasn't surprised they didn't provide that valuable information either. I pulled out my phone to search Google for Reviews and was reminded no cellphones could be used during there 2 hr presentation. Truth is doing a quick little research on your phone could kill the deal. RCI goal is to get you to seal the deal. The Salesmen was very pushy and offered a lot for "Free," to get my signature on a contract. But I knew he was selling my family empty promises.

What really stood out to me was the fact they were writing on a blank piece of paper how the whole process works. I had simple yet tough questions he wasn't prepared to answer. Anyhow, after I declined to sign up for the vacation package with RCI about 5 min before my 2 hr presentation was up the general manager came to our table and offered us to buy someone else's contract. The deal was 25 pts for 10 years for $4,900 and 6 months to make a decision. So, funny because the salesman said I had to decide that day to lock in the deals. What a joke! Advice - I strongly recommend anyone to keep calm, do their research and take time to make a sound decision you are well informed on after the presentation.

RCI response

Hi Ro, we appreciate the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings you may have experienced.

RCI offers timeshare owners the opportunity to exchange their vacation time with other RCI members. We are not involved in the actual sale of timeshare property/points; nor do we employ resort sales staff. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with questions. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: April 7, 2022

I was talked into purchasing a resort and cruise package back in 2017 for our 25th wedding anniversary. Booked a resort in Austria and Mediterranean cruise leaving from Civitavecchia, Italy for Sept 2020. The pandemic hit - I was able to cancel the resort booking in Austria and rebook a US resort for July 2021 (thinking that we Canadians would be able to travel to the US by the next summer). If I had canceled the cruise - I would have lost that certificate. I had to wait until August 2020 when we got word that the cruise was canceled due to covid. I was then able to rebook the cruise for September 2022. As for the resort in Vermont - we were not able to go because the Canada/US Border was closed to travelers by car. The RCI rep told me that I can still go if I fly - right! 5 airline tickets and having to rent a car to get to the resort was out of our budget and navigation abilities!!! I called to see what could be done.

They kept saying they were working on a solution and to CALL them BACK - they never called me. I had to be on hold for over an hour each time I called to get an update. The final answer came months after July 2021 - with much frustration. They could do nothing - we lost our Resort Certificate. Pandemic or not - what seemed like a great opportunity to travel turned into a long continuous nightmare. The stress was/is not worth it! We will see how the cruise goes - still have to book hotels and flights in order to make it work. Another nightmare coming up...

RCI response

Hi Katherine, we'd like the opportunity to look into this with our cruise department. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: May 20, 2022

I was able to re-book the cruise. Thank you Kathleen M. of RCI Customer Care. Mr. Constantino ** was super nice and very knowledgeable. A good company, however, should not wait for a complaint to be published publicly before resolving an issue. With all the headaches I had to go through to have this issue resolve, I wouldn't recommend this company.

Original review: April 7, 2022

I received a call for a travel package offer consisting of a cruise cert for 4, a resort cert and a cash certficate up to $700 & a free travel luggage for $4000.00. (The name of the sales agent was Colleen) When I tried to claim the travel luggage, I was not qualified because it can not be shipped to Hawaii. They will say that the resort certificate is good anywhere but actually it is more for Mexico. I booked my cruise but got cancelled due to covid. They reinstated the cruise certificate but now the resort certificate has expired and there's no way to redeem it. I rebooked my cruise but again cruiseline offered a free cancellation due to covid restrictions.

I talked to RCI agent and was told I can cancel and rebook once my certificate is re-instated. I called several times to re-book and was told my certificate has not been re-instated yet. I asked my request to be escalated only to find out that certificate can not be re-instated because it has expired. The manager who talked to me said when a cruise is cancelled, certificate is reversed back to its original status. Since my certificate has expired and was only extended due to covid, it can not be extended again. Something that the agent who helped me was not aware of. Their agents give wrong information and it is the customer's loss for believing them. If you want a cruise, deal with the cruise line directly. It is cheaper and less headache. This company will find every loophole to free themselves of their obligations.

RCI response

Hi Delia, we'd like the opportunity to look into this with our cruise department. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 15, 2022

I was woefully disappointed in my experience with RCI in their inadequate offering of trips coupled with the nested fees structure of their business model. Their pitch at Covid was misleading and I wasted another $199.

RCI response

Hi Jack, we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com with additional information including your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: March 4, 2022

Dear individuals who work for RCI, STOP YELLING EVERYBODY WHO BOOKS A WEEK AT WILLOW VALLEY THEY ARE IN A CABIN WHEN THEY ARE NOT!!!! If the reservation does not say the word CABIN on it, it is not a cabin. We have 15. We are tired of getting yelled at when people check in.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I bought a cruise package Jan 25 2019 for my daughter and son-in-law wedding present. For two years I’ve tried to either get it refunded or rebooked. You talk to one department who transfers you to another department to another person and on phone and hold for hours to find out they can’t help you or of course they need more money now. These people are nothing but a scam! Will not ever again deal with RCI! Will go completely direct to the cruise line from now on and people it’s cheaper also! Rci screws you over. Don’t use them!

RCI response

Hi Norma, we'd like the opportunity to look into your concerns. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

This is a joke, I just tried for 3 hrs to get a place from April to September, either 1 day available or not until December and I tried 6 different resorts. Save your money and aggravation and DON T JOIN THIS GREEDY, USELESS COMPANY. WHAT A SCAM

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

For our 25th anniversary & my husband's 50th, my mom (a FORTY YEAR MEMBER OF RCI!) bought a vacation package with a cruise. Purchased in 2019 due to our daughters wedding we prepared to book for 2020. With covid shutting everything down, that was impossible. They first CANCELLED, with no refund, her VERY expensive package. We received a call from Meredith when mom posted a bad review. She was amazing & we booked our resort trip to Mexico - took it & it was perfect. Booked our $5000 cruise to leave May 2022. Received an email about covid Tues & now cannot get in touch with anyone for two days. I'm currently sitting at nearly 1 hour wait on the phone. No one will email or call us back. Btw, THIS MONDAY is the deadline they imposed for refunds or changes or info on our fully purchased cruise.

RCI response

Hi Cheree, please email us at talktous@rci.com with your info so we can forward over to our cruise area. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I have been a weeks RCI member for over 15 years and several years ago upgraded to their Platinum membership. I booked exchange 13 months ago at ski in/out at South Lake Tahoe, CA. We are on extended vacation, visiting ski resorts across 5 western states. I received notice from RCI via email, just yesterday, that my week of 2/20-2/27 had been cancelled. I’m told “they” were overbooked?? Really, when I booked/paid for this exchange 13 months ago.? They either have the exchange week or they don’t. This just happens to be part of the President’s long weekend holiday, so getting other accommodations will be next to impossible. What the heck is going on at this company?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TO DO BUSINESS WITH RCI! I purchased a cruise package from RCI (1 week resort stay, 2 Cruise certificates) and booked a cruise for June 2020 for $3900. COVID happened so, I rebooked for June 2021. Again, due to COVID, the cruise line cancelled the cruise. When I called to rebook in Nov 2021, they told me the certificates were cancelled due to a 30-rebook policy. I told them that I was never notified of the 30-day policy. A Customer Service Supervisor confirmed that I was never told by reviewing phone calls and emails that were sent to me. I even asked where the policy was written and they said it wasn't written, it's just the policy.

I spoke with at least 8 reps including managers that said they were requesting reinstatement of my certificates, but I never received a follow up. I had to keep calling back. In Jan 2022, I was told definitely that I wouldn't get my certificate reinstated, and after robbing me of $3900, they offered me another cruise for the "lowest price" of approximately $3200 for 1 cabin, when I had 2 cabins previously. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TO DO BUSINESS WITH RCI!

They had audacity tell me there are many others in this same situation. I am actively looking for a class action lawsuit. I plan to inform as many people as I can via as many avenues as possible so others don't become a victim to this company. There needs to be repercussions for their subversive practice of concocting random policy AND intentionally not informing their customers in order to bilk customers out of thousands of hard-earned dollars. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TO DO BUSINESS WITH RCI!

RCI response

Hi K, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

Quinton manager of RCI Caribbean estates was rude arrogant and spoke in a derogatory manner towards us timeshare guests. He stormed out of the office whilst we were still there and refused to assist us or hear us out. He became biased towards the permanent renters on the estate and addressed us as just time share guests. Told us to take it up with the agent we booked with as he could not do anything regarding our complaint. Unfortunately staff of this caliber still exist in this democratic South Africa. Read the other reviews on Hello Peter. It is shocking...

RCI response

Hi Preba, we have forwarded your concerns to our SA office for a response. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI North America

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

This is not a review on Hard Rock. More on the Legendary affiliate... Your company swindles people out of money and disguise it as a deal. Then blame the customer on lack of understanding instead of working with the customer to make it right. You should be ashamed of how you take a family's hard-earned money with no problem under false pretense and sell them a dream vacation knowing that it's a scheme. I will make sure every website I can find will know what a disgusting company Legendary is. When you try to cancel they harass you to rejoin promising you a great deal, which is a fraud. You need to have a law degree to understand how you are getting screwed.

RCI response

Hi John, RCI does not own or sell timeshares or vacation club memberships. We are simply a timeshare exchange company that allows owners of participating resorts to exchange their vacation time with other owners. We encourage you to contact Legendary directly to express your concerns. If you have other questions about our exchange program, feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI North America

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Last year Capital Resorts (whom I bank points with) changed their exchange benefit provider from Interval International to RCI. This affiliation has replaced our current exchange membership with Interval International. Here’s a fun fact, even if you have purchased points with Capital Vacations, when you transfer those points to RCI for an exchange, those points get converted to a complimentary weeks exchange (NOT a points exchange). Because of this fun little nuance, RCI will not allow you to protect your trip with insurance protection (usually costs around $89), in the event something happens prior to your trip (like getting COVID) and thus you can’t go on your trip. If you find yourself in a situation where you can’t go on your trip, you will lose that complimentary week at RCI and thus lose your points at Capital Vacations, as the customer service person so eloquently told me, basically, you're out of luck. RCI is a bitter disappointment.

RCI response

Hi Jonathan, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your RCI membership number so I can take a look at your account and address your concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I purchased a travel package - cruise certificate for 2 and resort certificate for 2. It cost thousands of dollars. The cruise certificate had to booked by May 2020. This was at the height of the first wave of the pandemic, and I did not book, as I assumed that since all travel was suspended, and all cruise lines shut down, I would have to wait. I called in August 2020, and I was told that the cruise certificate had expired and I could no longer use it. My attempt to have management review this policy fell on deaf ears.

However, I still had the resort certificate, that had not yet expired. I booked a resort for November 2021, and paid for a cancellation waiver. In October 2021, I called to cancel and rebook. No problem - booked for January 2022. I also paid $99 for another cancellation waiver. Due to the resurgence of the pandemic, governments have suggested that travel be avoided. I just called and I was told that the cancellation waiver only applied up to 30 days before the trip.

The fact that the pandemic has blown up again seems to be irrelevant to RCI Travel and the resorts involved. So my choice is to forego the trip and lose the resort certificate benefit (having already lost the cruise benefit), or go at risk to health and at risk of being stuck in Mexico, since we would not be allowed to return to Canada if we are infected with Covid. Buyer beware!!

RCI response

Hi Samuel, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

RCI puts you in a timeshare and never sends the reservation to the resort to let them know you are staying there. The resorts they put you in should be rated 1 star resorts and then they refuse to give you your money back after you wait two hours on the phone being transferred to different people. Will never stay at any of their resorts again.

RCI response

Hi Shauna, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. RCI does not own or operate the over 4,000 resorts that participate in our exchange program so the quality of resorts will vary. Please email me at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Please I repeat please do not sign up for this. It is a scam!! I can't even book a vacation with my family! I just looked to book a hotel and it was cheaper without RCI!! They are a scam!! We were told in person we wouldn't even have to pay money to book anything unless our points were gone!! They lied to me and my husband!! Please don't do it!!

RCI response

Hi Ashley, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Feel free to email me at talktous@rci.com with questions/concerns. Be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Wouldn’t give any stars if it was possible. RCI system is set up to take your money. We paid $15000 for a timeshare and haven’t been able to book where we want to because it’s never available. Even trying to be in a year in advance is a waste of time. Many agents are incompetent when it comes to helping you. There’s always a fee I have to pay and they don’t refund money just always apply a credit that expires. Credit can’t be used towards hotels that are on their website because it’s a different system. What a waste of money this timeshare is. Platinum membership is the biggest waste of money for us. A bunch of lies to get you to sign up for perks that only put money in RCI’s business. Can’t wait to get out of this timeshare nightmare. Agent Anthony is very rude, but I guess he is a good representation for RCI.

RCI response

Hi Kathy, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with our exchange program. Have you tried an ongoing search? Please email me at talktous@rci.com with your membership number if I can help you get one entered. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Updated on 03/09/2022: RCI is untrustworthy. We agreed to a promotion called Welcome Back Vacations and then wanted to reschedule our trip to the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta due to Covid. In order to reschedule, they doubled the cost to $1,500 approximately. Since I had already paid and they do not provide refunds, I felt trapped. They said they would waive the resort fee - (then $450.) and I have an email from someone at RCI to that effect. We needed to reschedule again because someone in our group was having surgery and was told not to travel by the doctor. It took me 40 hours + to get it rescheduled because no one in RCI could handle it. I was transferred, disconnected and put on hold for long periods of time. Emails and voicemails were ignored.

Finally when I filed a complaint with consumer affairs, I was able to reschedule for March under the same terms and conditions. When I called the Mayan before booking my flight to confirm the reservation, the Mayan told me I would have to pay a $950 resort fee and any waiver would have to be worked out with RCI. RCI of course told me to talk to the Mayan. I then filed an update to my complaint and RCI said they would look into it. Their response was that I had not booked with RCI but some third party (even though in all my prior communications that had not come up and even though I had an email from RCI confirming the trip. I called Mayan to cancel my reservation and they told me I would have to inform RCI as their records showed it was booked through RCI.

With these folks, they do not provide an email or phone number to allow you to follow up with the person you talked to and the one email I got with the resort fee waiver, never responded when I emailed on this. It is a scam because once they take your money you can never get it back. The coup de gras was gaslighting me by saying it was a company other than RCI I had been dealing with despite the evidence/facts to the contrary! What I want is a refund of the $1,564.70 that I paid. This will not compensate for the 50+ hours of lost time trying to resolve this matter.

Updated on 02/18/2022: After 40 hours on the phone, I rescheduled and worked out an agreement for the Gr. Mayan, NV. As this was a promotional offer the resort fee was supposed to be waived. My original deal was for $800, but when I rescheduled due to Covid it went up to $1567. After paying this, I am now being told by the GMNV that I have to pay a $950 resort. Because RCI is so compartmentalized and doesn't give phone numbers or emails of people you talk to, it is impossible to trace back to the original deal. Everyone transfers me to someone else and no one can help me. It is a round-robin and the fees keep going up. No one returns my calls and emails to consumer affairs go unanswered. Getting involved with these people is a nightmare. My recommendation - STAY AWAY.

Original Review: I received a call from RCI/Vidanta to go to MX. I decided to accept their offer but then had to cancel due to Covid. When I rebooked - which was a Herculean effort - they doubled the price. As I had already paid the first booking, I was stuck. No refund option. I now have to reschedule again since one of the 4 of us is having surgery and the doctor is advising against travel.

I have called practically everyday going on week 3 and left voice messages which are not returned. I have emailed them 3 different ways. I have called the hotel in Mexico and every conceivable number for RCI and am told it is not their department - (after wait times averaging 20 - 65 minutes) and that they can't help me. I get transferred, given different numbers and get passed off. I have tried 8 different numbers - those I have found and those that I have been given by RCI folks who could not help me. No one seems to have the ability to help me reschedule. I spent 6 hours on the phone. In the end, they transferred me to the number I have been calling daily to leave yet another message. I have run out of numbers and emails and have not gotten the issue resolved.

RCI response

Hi Janine, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Resolution response: Dec. 29, 2021

After sending an email to the RCI email address provided by RCI, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response and resolution the following day. RCI agreed to the request I originally made to the general RCI Customer Service department and extended my credit by 6 months to 6/30/22. This is what I would have expected when first contacting RCI's Customer Service Department, so I suggest that RCI review the policies which seem to be currently in place within the general Customer Service Department. Thank you, Kathleen (RCI), for resolving this matter and thank you, Consumer Affairs, for providing a forum for raising awareness about these types of issues.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

As an RCI member for over 30 years, I would have expected a reputable company to offer an extension for a $40 credit which was earned in 2020 in the midst of the pandemic and is due to expire 12/31/21. They offered a 7-day extension, which doesn't help due to my husband's inability to travel with the ongoing COVID risks. We have no idea when the COVID situation will improve enough for him to travel safely. I asked for a 6-month extension - DENIED. I asked for the $40 to be refunded - DENIED. I asked for the $40 to be credited to my future maintenance fees - DENIED.

I work in Customer Service myself, and I understand there is a difference when a company says they "can't" do something than when they "won't" do something. In this case, it is clearly a "won't". I spoke with Supervisor "Scott" who said there is no one else I can speak with. Really? And why not? Please know if you join RCI, this is the treatment you will also likely receive. There are other timeshare companies out there....

RCI response

Hi Karen, we'd like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I’m glad I just dodged this bullet. The woman who tried to sell me this timeshare was so rude and mad after I told her that I wasn’t interested in giving her a 71,000 down payment. Then she brought her manager out and we all started arguing over my decision of not going the program...It’s funny how I was lied to over and over about this not being a timeshare...Stay far away because you don’t need them especially if you have a good system of how you like to travel..Don’t let RCI ruin your life. They are LIARS.

RCI response

Hi Drey, while we are affiliated with over 4000 resorts, RCI does not own, operate or sell timeshares. We are simply a timeshare exchange company that allows owners of participating resorts to exchange their vacations with other members. Feel free to email us at talktous@rci.com with any questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Due to the pandemic, we could not travel for most of 2020 and beginning of 2021. Even today, travel is very unstable. It would have been nice to receive an extension so that we could use our travel weeks that were deposited in late 2019. Also, most of the best resorts are located in Mexico, which has been more and more volatile. Based on these issues, it is not worth depositing your week with this company.

RCI response

Hi Sandra, I'm sorry for the frustration. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I like everyone had to cancel my Trip due to Covid and lost about $1500. I have been trying to re-book for next year. My home resort had one week booked directly through them and I had to book one with with RCI. Instead of being compassionate about people loosing out on bookings during covid, RCI went with Price gouging instead. They changed their rules and are making customers pay and an exchange fee to transfer to their own resort?

The response I got from RCI about this was: "Just this year, it was decided to have the internal exchange program to be on pause momentarily. That is why our members who wish to book a unit in their home resort will be required to pay for exchange fees as well." I then booked and paid my new exchange fee. After my booking I got 18 missed calls from RCI over a few days and when I finally spoke to them, they said they have to cancel my booking unless I renew my membership. I explained that I don't want to to renew my membership because the service was so bad and they cancelled my booking.

RCI response

Hi Duncan, we are sorry to hear of your frustration. We have forwarded this over to your servicing office for someone to contact you. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI North America

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I have spoken with 4 representatives from RCI. All were very rude. I am trying to get back the money I gave to them for a vacation that got cancelled due to Covid. I paid $1209 and they only returned $649. In order to use this balance, RCI said I had to travel by September which I could not do. They then cancelled the balance right off my account. I would never recommend doing business with them.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

We were on vacation in Punta Cana with our three children and were offered this membership. It seemed great so we bought it. Omg, what a waste of time (6 hours) and money. We came home and tried to book and discovered most of the hotels are meant for families of four. So we call them and ask for help and they advise me to put my young children (3, 4 and 10 months) in a separate room. I was in total shock. I asked them if they would put their babies in a separate room and they just told me it's my only option. Also at the hotel, they told us, all inclusive fee is about $53/person. Lies. We calculate on the website and were at over $5000 for all inclusive in Mexico. They have very poor communication and basically just want your money. Once you give it to them, there is no one to help you. Save yourself the headache, don't sign up for this nonsense, especially if your family is bigger than 4.

RCI response

Hi Marie, we are sorry to hear of your frustration. RCI does not sell timeshare so we encourage you to contact your home resort/vacation club with concerns about your purchase. If we can assist you with your exchange benefits through our program, please email us at talktous@rci.com. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

RCI Company Information