2. Travel

1.3/5 (62 ratings)

About RCI

About RCI®SHARE THIS PRINT

RCI Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCI?

Original review: July 30, 2021

During my vacations they offered me this credit card but it was pitched as a 2k loan, not a credit card. The application got rejected, in the rejection paper it said that if I wanted to try and continue with the application I should call a number, else nothing needed to be done. I didn't continue with the application and forgot about it. A few weeks later I got the credit card in the mail, I didn't even know why I was receiving it so I thought it was a mistake and just threw it away without even activate it. Later I started to get bills for around $40 every month, I called to explain everything and they told me that the account was closed and that I didn't have to pay for the bills. That was about a year ago and I still getting the bills which continue to increase every month, I have tried calling them but they just put me on hold for hours with no resolution. Do not open an account with RCI.

RCI response

Hi Teancum, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. The RCI® Elite Rewards® MasterCard® program is issued by Barclaycard US. RCI does not process applications for this card.

Please visit www.rcimastercard.com/RCI3 or call 1-866-463-0372 for more details.

Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: July 22, 2021

I normally don't write negative reviews, but I feel like there needs to be warning before committing to using RCI. After spending 1.5hrs hour on hold with RCI to look into booking a trip, I was connected with a very nice representative who help me find the right trip for us (what I thought was the right trip at least). I was able to book a 3 night stay at the Dreams Resort in Costa Rica for 3 people for 2400 points plus a $150 reservation fee. (Another option in Costa Rica for 3 people on the same days was only 1200 points- just for reference of how much more this trip was.)

After booking with RCI we received a booking confirmation and reservation stating the dates were confirmed, the total due for the resort was an additional $1,700 (for the all inclusive food and drink) and the reservation was for 3 people. We were excited for the trip until we arrived to the resort and they told us we owed $2,400 because the reservation was only for 2 people originally and that we would need to pay for the third person. After wasting HOURS arguing that our reservation was made for 3 people (proof was on the RCI confirmation/reservation we received) they continued to say that we owed them $2,400. However, the resort gave us access to the room and said they would work on getting this resolved with RCI.

After spending the few days at the resort, we arrived to check out with the same answer. The frustration here is that we were told the amount and confirmed the cost, points, people and days with RCI and even have a confirmed reservation, and they were still charging us the higher amount. It ruined our trip because we did not plan to spend that much money on the resort in addition to the points we spent. What's really frustrating is that I looked up the same reservation (3 people, 3 nights & same hotel) directly on the Dreams website and it was a GRAND TOTAL of $1,800 (including room & all inclusive). I also looked it up on Costco Travel and Travelocity and they had similar totals. It has been proven not worth it to pay RCI or to roll over points from another timeshare company when it ends up costing more overall and they will not honor the reservation they confirmed and agreed to. At this point I would not recommend RCI to anyone.

RCI response

Hi Ashleigh, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: July 21, 2021

You buy the certificate for two and then they got you! Their website says starting from no additional charge with your certificate. You click on that and it says zero dollars for inside room BUT when you select the cruise there are NO rooms for ZERO dollars. So you get to pay more to book. Wow it’s on their website! They say it is a glitch in the system. So honor what your website states! Run as fast as you can!!!

RCI response

Hi Casey, we'd like the opportunity to look into this further. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI North America

Original review: July 16, 2021

I purchased RCI travel package and like other reviews when it came time to book they said certificate expired! Seems I am not the only one! We were told we needed to book resort stay and I said we did not know our schedule was advised just to book and if necessary we could change dates. We did and now I cannot make adj to the dates because we did not buy the insurance for 99.00? We paid in good faith and trusted RCI and we were scammed. When I asked to speak to a supervisor they refused to connect me. I cannot let this go since we will lose everything we paid. I just want a refund.

RCI response

Hi Beth, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 29, 2021

I spent almost 2 hours on hold and STILL never got through to anyone! I finally hung up. I only want to know if I have to "book by" or "travel by" 12/31/2021 but of course like every other website, it's friggin useless and doesn't tell you. Complete **.

RCI response

Hi Howard, I'm sorry for the frustration. We are experiencing a very high volume of calls right now. Please send an email to talktous@rci.com with your inquiry and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: June 21, 2021

I purchased a travel package through RCI which included multiple cruise certificates. Due to the pandemic, all cruises lines were shut down for safety concerns and I was not able to use the certificates. I was promised that once everything reopened I would be able to use my certificates. Well, I recently called RCI to book my cruises and I was told that my certificates had expired and it was nothing they could do to honor my certificates.

I informed the customer service representative that I was not happy and that I needed to speak to a supervisor to rectify the problem. The representative told me that a supervisor was not available and that the supervisor could not help me either because the decision was coming from management. I told him that I wanted to talk to a supervisor or someone that could help me solve the problem. The rude representative took my information and told me that a supervisor would contact me within 24 hours.

Well it's been nearly a full week and RCI has failed to reach out to me. This company does not value its customers and in my opinion are using this global pandemic as a way to not redeem certificates that their customers have paid for. I just don't understand how they are not honoring these fully paid certificates, when no one was allowed to travel during the pandemic.

RCI response

Hi Floyd, I'm very sorry to hear of your frustration and would like the opportunity to look into this. Please email me at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Customer Care

Original review: June 18, 2021

Updated on 06/24/2021: RCI called and extended my cruise package, worked with Meredith and she arranged cabins so we are across from each other. Meredith was very knowledgeable even counting steps to elevator because we will be 90 and our daughter 70. Happy with results. Thank You.

Original: I had numerous telephone calls to book a cruise because we had done so in past. In 2018 my son age 55 dropped dead. I was in shock and I said OK to RCI for cruise. When I went to book my contract had expired. We did not book a sailing date because of Covid but called as soon as we had shots and restrictions were lifted. I don't remember seeing contract and we lost over $3000.00 and a vacation week. No notification but calls to renew membership. Special consideration should have been applied and all contracts should have had longer booking dates. We are age 89 and was very concerned about catching virus.

RCI response

Hi Clement, we are very sorry to hear this and would like the opportunity to look into this for you. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: June 16, 2021

My family has owned shares for several years through my father. He had a lot of credits saved and booked a vacation for the whole extended family to California a couple of weeks ago. We all got work off and made plans. Today, he got a message saying "due to COVID" they canceled our reservation. He called the resort and they said they were completely open, but RCI overbooked by 17 reservations! He called RCI back and was told that it was a health crisis and they couldn't avoid it. He asked them why they took his money two weeks ago, knowing about COVID when he paid. (California opened up today, June 15, 2021, so it's a moot point anyway.)

He asked for a refund for the condos we all paid for and was told no. He was graciously offered a credit that expires at the end of July (next month). If he wants it to renew, he needs to call back each month and ask for a renewal. He called back and asked to speak to a supervisor, and I was livid hearing the way they spoke to him when it was their error. They should at least take responsibility for their mistake and not blame COVID for their overbooking. How can you take money, then cancel a reservation and refuse to give a refund? This will be reported to the proper agencies. It seems a lot like fraud.

RCI response

Hi Teresa, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com and be sure to include your father's RCI membership number. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: June 12, 2021

We all just finished the worst year ever. No one could travel and borders were closed. My membership fee was paid up until 7/2020. RCI had use of my funds for the first half of 2020 however they could not deliver a product because everything was shut down. I did not receive a renewal notice like I have in the past. RCI just ignored all its customers. The very least they could have done was give a 6 month credit. No, they are to unscrupulous to do that. Instead, they just cancelled memberships and voided out thousands of dollars in weeks trading power. If anyone starts a Class Action suit, let me know, because as far as I am concerned they just stole thousands and thousands of dollars from their members.

RCI response

Hi Bonnie, we'd like the opportunity to look into this. Please email us at talktous@rci.com so we can investigate. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

Original review: June 11, 2021

I called your customer service number today 06/11/2021 and spoke to an uneducated representative who has no sense of understanding and is not very helpful. I called to book a vacation for my family and was transferred to the uneducated representative that works for RCI. She had such a mean voice and was very demanding on collecting my money without trying to understand me or help me figure out how we can get this resolved. She kept demanding fees and didn't have a proper explanation when trying to ask questions. She kept repeating the same thing over and over and speaking over my voice, which made no sense and was no help. When asked to speak to a manager it took over 10 minutes and when she finally asked for a manager it was even worse.

The manager by the name of Christina clearly does not care about her clients. She was rude and also tried talking over me just to overcharge me and get my hard earned money. They both did not want to help figure this out for my account to be current. She keeps repeating that the call was recorded, which for her information I don't care if it's recorded. As a manager she has no understanding how to deal with a customer who has no clue what happened with her membership and no way of educating someone so that this issue does not happen again. All she and her stupid employee cared about was to collect my money and tell me treating words like "I need to pay these fees in order to have my account current and book a vacation." Someone don't need to hear that when they're trying to find a solution and explain their side of not knowing what's the issue with the account.

And second, I don't need and care about other customers `` as she mentioned other people are reading their emails and paying the fees. Everyone has different circumstances in life and because of Covid and everyone trying to get back to work and have a life again maybe they should put that into consideration and have some kind of understanding for customers. I was so pissed after the way they both treated me I had to yell and cuss so that they could keep their mouths shut.

While I was on the phone with these two uneducated humans, my husband called from his phone and spoke to a very nice gentleman (Ali). Ali was very helpful and understanding and got our account updated and current within 5 minutes. He also understood that due to Covid and not responding to emails, he was able to help us with an affordable payment for two years. He was honest and told me when to call back to book my vacation. Unlike those two females, I don't even know what to call them. It was the worst I ever dealt with. I feel like they need to get better training on how to talk and help customers. It's all about fees and collecting money from everyone with a proper reason. I do hope that I do not have to speak to them in the future and also hope that no one should be treated that way. Thank you.

RCI response

Hi Kishan, we're sorry to hear this. We do see you sent us an email and it was responded to. Please respond to that email if you have additional questions/concerns. Kind Regards, Kathleen M., RCI Travel Guide

RCI Company Information