2. Travel

Qatar Airways Reviews

Qatar Airways
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.26/5

Qatar Airways Reviews

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I flew Qatar from Jhg to USA instead of Emirates like I did last visit. Really enjoyed qatar except I felt they were not so generous on snacks and all. I didn't mind though. Toilets were generally super clean. Which is a major issue for me I public toilets. I think I will continue to fly Qatar.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I just received my three children who went to Tanzania, as explorers and adventurers. They decided to travel back as unaccompanied minors. As parents We reluctantly agreed. Today after I received them from flight attendant, we hugged and kissed, and they told us "No more travelling with parents, We are ready to travel anywhere around the world with QATAR AIRWAYS" by ourselves, They have treated so special, "Dad, we felt like kings and queens in movies". We firstly wondered if there could be anyone out there who can possibly love and treat our children better than us. Upon digesting, I realized that "I'm obliged, I owe Qatar Airways, They have touched our family hearts in a special way." Thank QATAR AIRWAYS, LONG LIVE.

Get expert buying tips about Airlines delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Their planes as neat as a 4-star hotel room and the flight crew is as polite as they could be. Besides, the airlines provides a world-class service including food and beverages. I could not ask for more in my last flight with them. My relatives who used to fly through Qatar Airways have also expressed similar satisfaction.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I had a great experience by one employee Lok, number **, between Doha and Narita, who paid special attention to ensure I was served with food as I was very tired and sleepy, and that my TV screen was working as it was apparently jammed. He also advise me on the best menu selection. I also saw the way he attend to fellow passengers next to me. He is excellent and a great marketer of the airline.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Don't be fooled by the Skytrax ranking and the awards. You can search about Skytrax and the multiple complaints it has received about the objectivity of its rankings. For example, some airlines find themselves, purely coincidentally I'm sure, in the 5-star ranking after Skytrax does a consulting project for them. But let's cut to the chase. I'll itemize here my experience, in chronological order, with Qatar just two weeks ago, and if you recognize that "yes, this could happen to me", then it's not anecdotal evidence anymore, but a clear sign that you are better off avoiding this airline.

A flight from Athens to Shanghai, through Doha, on Economy: a) I could not check in online for my return trip to Shanghai, even though I tried multiple times within 36 hours of the flight, and even though I had successfully checked in online for my outgoing flight Shanghai-Athens. The website simply stated "sorry, we could not check you in at this time, please try again later". Apparently, web check-in is "rocket science" for the Skytrax airline of the year.

b) Not being able to check in online, I had to wait for 45 minutes at the check in counter, where I was told that I had to pay extra for the 3 kg over the 30 kg baggage allowance, at 45 euros per kg(!). By the way, that's their standard charge for overweight baggage for all their flights, you can check their site. After removing 2.5 kg from the luggage and putting it in my carry on, I was told I had to pay for the extra 0.5 kg. I kid you not folks. At that point I really wanted to test the check-in representative (who apparently had a quota-commission arrangement with Qatar) by removing just 0.3 kg to see if he would charge me for the extra 0.2 kg.

c) My AAdvantage number was not printed on my boarding pass, even though it was on my Shanghai-Athens boarding pass, which means they had it, but their system malfunctioned...again. So now I have to track missing miles. d) I had a very tight connection at Doha, part of it scheduled, part of it because the flight arrived late and they take their time to bus you to the terminal. I rushed to my connecting flight and I made it, but my luggage did not. I filed a delayed luggage report at Pudong in Shanghai, where I noticed at least 6-7 other people from the flight doing the same. The suitcase came with the next day's flight but it was delivered 8-9 hours after the flight arrived.

e) You need to contact the airline about your missing luggage, or just to give them a piece of your mind? Good luck. Their "Contact us" page lists only a postal address and a fax number(!). No email address. For telephone numbers you need to find the "office locator" and the hours they are open. You can submit a comment/complaint online, but on Firefox the form was not loading, and on Chrome the "submit" button of the form was greyed out. Who knows, maybe they are overwhelmed with questions about their Skytrax ranking and they don't want to be bothered.

On board the service was good, the F&B average, the in-flight entertainment good, but of course they don't make up for the above 5 points. Upon further scrutiny of Qatar in various review sites, they have a nasty habit of changing/cancelling flight schedules and flights (some due to overbooking), after you book and pay for a ticket, thus holding you "hostage" to any changes. What can I say, avoid like the plague.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Qatar Airways?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My luggage which is in Doha will not be released, even though, during checking at Bangkok a supervisor assured me it will be done by transfer desk in Doha. Spent a week in Doha trying to get it, but asked me to pay $1700 USD to get it. Terrible unjust experience with all departments trying to get it, and they still have my luggage .

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Wondering why they were rated number 1. Emirates staff are better especially with kids. We flew from Bangkok to Doha as connecting flight to Paris and my one year old daughter never stopped crying in the plane for the first time (we have traveled long hauls before when she's less than a year old and never had crying problem).

After long hours of crying, she finally calm down and fell a slept on me and I really had to pee, there's too much line and considering I've had loads of complication giving birth, I am not capable of keeping it for long so I approached an attendant and explained it to her so she pointed me to the business toilet which is just a curtain away from us but as soon as I went out of the toilet a male attendant approached me with a loud voice telling me 'it's a business class ma'am' like I stole something from him! And I saw that everyone awake started to look at our directions but I just left him there talking as I don't think it would make sense to argue with him, I've no more energy for that.

I know not all staff are like him but NEVER AGAIN!! I'll always disagree that you are number one because even at the Doha airport food hall, staff looks so anxious when we approached them to heat a baby food. I hope you teach all your staff to have a business class manners too and respect people no matter what color or seat class' we are occupying.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have taken time and carefully considered whether to send this complaint to you. I don’t feel that my voice would be heard from our South African branch to be honest. We were scheduled to fly to Dublin on the 20th December 2019 at 13h10 flight no. QR1364. When we arrived we were informed by the check in staff that we had to obtain letters of employment to prove we have jobs in South Africa. This would be sent to Ireland customs and only once we were approved by them would be allowed to fly. I received the letters at about 12pm that Friday and emailed them directly to the email address that was given to me. We then were told that we would have to miss our flight and be rescheduled once we have received approval. Myself and 2 other couples waited until 14h00 without any comfort from the Qatar staff. Only when I went to them at 14h00 to follow up did they mention that they never received my documents.

We were then told that they would phone us and at 15h00+- was I contact to provide more documents i.e statements. We left the airport at 15h30 and returned home. They only gave us feedback at 17h00 +- (cannot remember as I was distort) to say we have been rescheduled for an evening flight on the 21st December 2019. We asked the manager on duty Donovan why all this was happening and he said that it is a new process and they only knew about it two weeks prior. I believe they did it to save the company money.

No one cared how we felt. They could have phoned us a week in advance to obtain the documents but they didn’t. I have never seen my husband so distort and angry. We were flying with an airline known as the no.1 airline in the world yet we were treated light we didn’t matter. I must be honest the airline crew were amazing however we after the ordeal we went through it left a bad taste in our mouths. We saved a whole year for this holiday and yet Qatar destroyed our excitement in one day. We received no compensation for missing a day of our holiday due to the airline choosing to follow this process nor did we receive any upgrade to show the inconvenience and trauma they put us through. The one couple that was with us missed a day of their honeymoon and got nothing in return. The customer service I received from Qatar check in office was horrible. Just to be clear I will never fly with Qatar again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

There are many things to praise about Qatar Airways’ first class travel. Unfortunately, this review will be focused on my customer service experience could have been easily and quickly resolved but hasn’t been several months after taking a first class trip from Chicago to Istanbul. Luggage did not arrive when I arrived in Istanbul. It took Qatar Airways more than 24 hours to get the luggage to me and the communication was lacking to say the least. It seems Qatar Airways only has customer service staff in the United States to book flights and not provide ongoing customer service to customers who’ve already spent several thousand dollars on their services. Much time was spent via email to their staff in Istanbul as the booking staff in the US were not able to help.

I was told the “local” team in the US would be in touch but it is unclear where in the US this local team exists if they do at all as no telephone number was provided for this local team and not a single US based team member bothered to call or email to address or resolve this customer service issue. The Istanbul staff promised a minor refund ($100-$150?) for the inconvenience but it required personal info to be completed on a form which was unnecessary…again when trying to contact Qatar Airways to ask about the form the customer service staff in the US indicated they handle booking issues only, not these type of customer service issues….unbelievable that a major airline like Qatar Airways does not have a single customer service agent in the United States to serve their first class customers with these types of matters.

On the return flight, the monitor was not working. I was given the option of changing seats but that did not work out as they were not forward facing. Again, nothing was done to compensate for this inconvenience. I spent several thousand dollars on this first class trip and Qatar Airways had the chance to make it an amazing experience if they had quickly addressed the concerns and appropriately compensated for the delays and problems. Communication was anything but first class. They need non-booking US based customer service manager to handled these types of issues if they want repeat business from first class customers. Sad, they didn’t take care of this customer in a first class manner.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

We suppose to travel on the 19th Dec 2019 to Qatar, Doha from Manchester airport. When we came to check they denied my 10 year old son entry as he had 5 months left on his passport. At first they said he needs a visa you could get that from the opposite desk. Where we waited half an hour only to find out they don't issue visas there. Then another lady said she has to get permission from Doha immigration to allow him to board the plane. She took off with his passport then returned after half an hour. In the meantime her colleagues didn't know how to contact her. Finally she said they have refused which she didn't go anywhere to receive this message. Now we are left out of pocket. Now we have to pay more money to go in Feb. Totally disgusted with this situation.

Not sure about Qatar Airways?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Qatar Airways Company Information