1.2/5 (38 ratings)

About Payless Car Rental

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: May 18, 2022

This place was ridiculous and terrible. My flight got delayed, pushed back to arrive in San Diego at 11:15pm instead of 10pm. I starting calling Payless at 4pm and they NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE. I left messages asking for a return call, but they don’t return your phone call. They say “text us” on their recording so I did that multiple times, no response. When I showed up to pick up my car they were closed. All the other car rental places were open, loads of people were picking up cars at other rental companies at 11:30pm… but Payless was dark and doors locked. I called first thing the next morning, NO answer of course!! Paid for another ride to the car rental place to pick up my car. They’re idiots!!! Don’t rent from here please, I know I won’t ever again.

Original review: May 18, 2022

You pay a price for the rental and when you return car they surprise you with new charges in your credit card. Customer service is rude, never answer phones and they are very rude. They promise to remove the extra charges promising a discount which they never honored. You end up calling customer service multiple times asking for the promised discount or refund and then they attacked and turn around saying you are lying about the discount because they never promised a discount or approved the discount.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2022

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS - and there will be plenty of those! This is the biggest ripoff I have ever experienced. PAYLESS HAS BEEN GIVEN AN "F" by the BBB. We had reserved a car weeks in advance at the Payless at Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport, Liberia, Costa Rica. The initial quote emailed at the time of the reservation $529.36 including taxes.

In what felt like a "shell game" when adding insurance, it was explained that we had an option to put a security deposit of $3000 if we were electing the least amount of insurance, or, $300 which would cover any damages to the car with $0 deductible. We opted for the full coverage at $300. The total invoice when we picked up the car was almost twice the online quote at $1,018.98 USD. It was explained that we would be refunded $300 when we returned the care. Still how would got to what would have been $718.98 is beyond me but what the heck - I mean we're on vacation, right? Now I see on my credit card statement an additional $300 at the time of the rental which means I'm now paying $1318.98. I intend to dispute at least some of these charges with my credit card company. GO ANYWHERE BUT TO PAYLESS.

Original review: April 15, 2022

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! They do a bait and switch and and are shady with their business practices!! My husband booked them online for his trip to San Diego from 4/12 - 4/14 and paid $246.36 online at Priceline's website. They ended up charging him all these additional fees and upcharges without his consent when he returned the car. They charged him for a car upgrade (which he did not get), collision damage waiver, and rental insurance which he said no to and they still charged him for it. The total ended up being $626.63. Yep that's almost $400 more added on to the original bill.

To think he chose them on Priceline due to the lower cost but it ended up costing him WAY more than expected. Apparently whatever price you're quoted online and pay for will not be honored (he was told this by the employee that was helping him check out when he returned the car) and they will sneak in additional fees without telling you. DO NOT book this company. I am also going to report them to the BBB after this review.

Original review: April 15, 2022

Please read the negative reviews and do not go with this company just because they 'seem' cheaper than the rest. I thought I was getting a good deal originally, I was excited. But that excitement ended quickly. I opted to go without car insurance and the employee still signed me up for it. At the counter, she gave me the total price of what I expected. A day before I was going to turn in my car, I called to extend it and found out then, that the lady signed me up for the insurance still, so I was getting charged an extra $100. I got a hold of the supervisor who was so mean, unprofessional, but at the end finally said she can give me a 30% off my transaction. Well, I never got the 30% off. I had to call again.

The people working in customer service clearly are not trained because I keep getting transferred to department to department and person to person. This happened the first time I called Payless as well. It's been a horrible experience dealing with employees here and I have a gut feeling, them charging me insurance even though I opted out was no accident. I firmly believe this was done on purpose to get more money out of people. I will never be using them again and I truly hope this company goes out business because I know they are doing unethical practices here.

Original review: March 27, 2022

STAY AWAY! I rented a car from Payless Car Rental through Priceline. My invoice indicated the total price was $604.00, tax included for ten days March 16- March 25, 2022. We arrive in San Diego, CA, our destination, to pick up our car. Of course, the agent wants to upgrade me to a nicer vehicle for "not much more money". He tells me it would only be $960.00 for the upgrade. I decide to keep my original plan but he says it will be $930.00. I question that amount because I have the paperwork for $604.00. He tells me that my invoice did not include CA taxes despite my paperwork indicating that the total “included taxes.”

The agent was a “fast talker” and mentions something about a 38% CA tax. We went back and forth for a while and I finally told him that if I don’t get the car for $604.00 that I would rent elsewhere. Then he suddenly asked me if I had an AARP card which would lower the price. He then states that Payless will pay the 38% tax, a tax that doesn’t exist! My wife and I left feeling like this agent, reportedly the manager, was trying to fast talk his way and take advantage of us. As a result, I will not book a car rental again through Priceline or Payless Car Rental.

Original review: March 23, 2022

My car is in the shop, so I rented a car from Expedia. The quote was 626.00 for a week. Then I found out that it was from Payless Car Rental. At the end, it cost me $1102, and I am driving a car that is SO BASIC, that I didn't know they still made cars with steel keys. It's horrible!!!! Avoid Payless Car rental at all cost. I would rather walk, I am returning the car early, and forfeiting the cost that I am out, just to be rid of the car, and Pay less.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Do not ever rent from this company. They are awful. Disgraceful customer service. If your car breaks down you are absolutely screwed. Especially in Maui. They are an absolute scam and put our lives in danger. There are much superior companies to rent from. Feel free to message me. The tow truck driver actually told me they look for the cheapest tow truck company so you are unlikely to get help quickly. He said it correctly. We had no spare tire in our car. That is complete negligence. They don’t care as long as they are getting paid. We had to sit on the side of a dangerous road for over three hours. Their left hand had no idea what their right hand was doing. Shame on Payless. The name gives away the quality. I don’t think I’m the only one. Check their ratings. Poor poor poor.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I had a reservation for a Payless Car in St. Maarten. But when we arrived on the island they said they had no cars. Despite my insistence, speaking to a manager, getting angry – they could not honor the reservation. We ended up paying for a $50 cab ride to the French side. I do credit Kishan, the supervisor, for picking us up the following day and bringing us back to the airport to get a car. But that took almost a full day of our 3 day trip. NOT HAPPY.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Do not rent from Payless. Two months after returning the vehicle we rented, we got a claim in the mail for damages we did not incur during our time driving it. When we asked Payless to email photos and documentation substantiating the claim, they assured us they would and never did. We finally were able to see the documentation months later, which showed Payless was seeking payment from us for damaged incurred a WEEK AFTER we returned the vehicle. In addition to being asked to pay for damages we were not responsible for, we also had about a 30 min. wait at the airport (with an infant in tow) when we picked up the vehicle because Payless had rented the car to two different customers at the same time. From start to finish, this was a terrible experience and evidence that Payless' fleet and administrative management is incredibly poor. Do not trust this company. Rent elsewhere.

Payless Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information