Payless Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My friend K and I were traveling to Arizona and rented in advance from Payless which looks nice enough. We asked upon arriving at the rental counter if we could have K drive the car also. The counter sales rep said "SURE!" We were not told of the daily $13 fee it costs to have a second driver. It was only when I returned the car 5 days later I was presented with an invoice for $92 extra! I think a company that strives for honesty and good reviews does not withhold information about additional charges. What's more is K didn't even stay in Arizona more than 3 days, so I was clearly charged 2 days he wasn't even there to drive!

When I went online to register my complaint I was told, "Sorry, this is our policy and we're sticking to it!" I'm appalled in this day and age business is being done this way. They figure they can fly under the radar and if they get caught once in a while, well, no problem. We're just the little people. I will go out of my way to avoid Payless---I won't mind paying more to their competition, and I truly think you get what you pay for.

Normally I don't have issues with any company and if something happened usually they take care of it. But what happened with Payless is beyond imaginations, especially the way to handle it. The bottom line stay away from them. They are all liars and not reasonable people especially management and supervisors. I booked a car for 4 days rent online for $80. On picking up they changed the car (which usually happens), they didn't explain any reason and I didn't mind. The new car is still almost same size and same level, the charges on the paper was high. I ASKED WHY IT IS NOT $80, the guy replied with careless that it will go down again when I return the car with full tank.

I returned the car after four days with full tank. I asked them again about the amount, they said it will go down like they told me. After few days it is $170. I called them. They didn't compare over phones. I opened a ticket, I reply was I requested upgrade and agreed on paying almost $90 more which never ever happened and doesn't make sense either. I called again, no one is helping. Opened a new tickets, explained all the discussion between me and the counter guy that never mentioned a word about. Again the reply was, "We don't issue refund and that's final decision." No one agree talking to me! I can't have a live person!

They are rotten bunch of people running the company. Even Expedia when tries to interfere they didn't cooperate with them. I asked them on the ticket to call the counter and ask them if they said any word about this upgrade and they ignored everything! That's the first time in my life that I got fooled this way and still can't get my right!! Anybody can help?!

I went on vacation to Seattle and decided to rent a vehicle from this airport. I have booked rental vehicles from airports several times in the past and always had a pleasant experience - until I booked a Payless rental! Don't be fooled by their low prices. I was supposed to be charged $129 + insurance that I was told is $26/day, coming out to $233. I was randomly charged $345 on my credit card! When I finally fought to get a receipt, I found all these miscellaneous charges on my summary that I have no idea what they are for!

When I called Expedia to complain, they called Payless for me and said that I would have to deal with them directly since Payless was not cooperating with them. I called Payless at every extension and could not get a hold of ANYONE! Every line goes to voicemail. I called Expedia and explained this, they said the manager told them I have to go on the Payless website and submit a form on the Customer Service tab about being overcharged. When I submitted my form, they sent me a response: "We're sorry but once a rental agreement has been completed and services have been rendered we are unable to make any changes or issue refunds."

This entire experience of going in circles with this company has been a nightmare! Unprofessional and unhelpful. Payless rental is a complete SCAM and I will NEVER book with this company again. I am currently having my credit card company help me fight the excessive charges. What a stressful ending to my vacation.

We rented a car from Aric at Payless. He went way over the top in making us happy with our car choice. He upgraded us for very little cash and then went to get our car and wasn't happy with the looks of it and put us into a Jeep Cherokee instead. We could not have had better service anywhere else. The car & the price was perfect!

Tue, Jan 10 2017 5:36am Upon arrival we were told that no cars were available. I reminded the girl, Erin, that I had a reservation. She informed me that the reservation confirms the price, but not the availability of the car, "read the fine print" was her recommendation. Then when the car was available (within 5 minutes) the price changed from $221 to $284. I asked why and she said the price I was quoted on Carrentals.com was an "estimate only" and that her earlier comment about the price was only a "play on words". Seriously. We went back and forth until she took me down to the parking garage to speak with the manager, Sharone. The garage was full of full-size Payless cars.

After about 45 minutes of back and forth, another girl pulled a new contract off the dot-matrix printer with the original price. Thoroughly pissed off, we drove away. Upon return, the car-checker guy sent me to the booth in the garage to wait another 20 minutes while another person pulled our final bill off of the dot-matrix printer. The whole experience had SCAM written all over it. I've been renting cars in Vegas for many years and this is the worst experience by far that I've had. I see on social media that this is common at this location. I want to hear some sort of explanation from you about this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Got a car with my siblings at the airport in Guatemala City (November 29, 2016), took a while to get the car. Unprofessional service representatives behind the counter. Finally got the car (2 hrs later). Drove and about 130 km out of Guatemala City, in Zacapa Guatemala the car broke down. Called the rental office in the airport who said they were sending someone with another car, the other car didn't show up on the same day, had to get a hotel for everyone in the family. Car showed up at 2 pm the next day. Decided to head back to Guatemala City and on the way back the new car started to stall and 25 km before arriving in Guatemala City the new car broke as well. That was 2 broken cars in less than 2 days... GRRR.

Manage to start car and drove back to Payless Rental place at La Aurora International Airport. Spoke with the person behind the counter who said I could return the car if I wanted and they would cancel everything returning all my money back to the CC including the hotel I paid the night before. I did cancel my contract on November 30, 2016, got copies of everything I signed and they signed. Today is January 22, 2017 and the ** company haven't return my 2 wks money that they should of returned within 8 business days back into my CC. Being making international calls to Guatemala Payless Rental Car and to the USA Payless 800 number to see if I can get any help through them but both offices continue to put me on hold and I get nowhere. Called my bank (Chase Bank) who is helping me deal with this big ass problem and they are going to deal with Payless now.

So if you go to Guatemala and plan to rent a car, DO NOT RENT ANY CARS FROM PAYLESS, DOLLAR, THRIFTY, OR ENTERPRISE, they are all the same company owner with different names in Guatemala. Found that out after I returned the car to Payless because I told the guy I was going to go to those companies to get a better car from them, and the ** just laughed and said we own all the cars from all of them except Avis, Hertz, Budget, and Alamo Rental Car Companies.

As soon as he said that, I said the hell with all of them and went straight to Avis, Hertz, and Budget getting a way better car and price from Budget Rental Car at the airport counter. The Customer service from Budget and professionalism of the personnel was 100% much better than the people working at Payless. So if you want to rent a car in Guatemala Central America DO NOT GET IT FROM PAYLESS, DOLLAR, ENTERPRISE OR THRIFTY RENTAL CARS or you going to be left stranded and alone on the side of the road.

Laguardia airport, NYC - Rent a car from Payless Car Rental on 01/09/2017. It was a lemon car with defective side mirrors and dangerously unsafe conditions. I contacted Payless customer service phone number at LaGuardia airport NYC location at least 30 times trying to cancel the service or get a replacement, nobody ever picked up the phone, and it was automatically disconnected after 15 seconds of ringing. The customer service agents at the Payless location was very rude and gave zero information about the service or car, absolutely the ** service people I ever experienced. And at the end they stabbed me again with extra unauthorized charge. Do not, do not ever use Payless! They are not actually cheaper and these Payless service agents are absolutely hideous and will make your stomach feel sick the entire time.

I was lead to believe I was getting a different vehicle for the same price as the one I reserved and told the one I reserved would not be good for the area I would be driving in. I was never told I was going to pay for an "upgrade". Shame on me I did not stop to read what I was signing but I was given no reason to think I was being deceived. The guy at the counter seemed to be sincere. I fell for it. Other aspects of the contract were never explained clearly. These people know that you are in a rush to get to the airport when you drop off the vehicle and take advantage of that. I filed a complaint with Payless and disputed the additional charge with my credit card company but it was futile since I had signed the contract. No more Payless for me.

Rented a car through Expedia and was provided a total price and it was paid. Once arrive in Chicago airport to pick up the car, I was told there wasn't any cars available. I waited 2 hours to get a car and could finally leave to drive and see my mom 2 hours away. About halfway into my trip, long story short, I was pulled over and the car was impounded illegally and I was told to call Payless because they could release it. Actually, the next morning I called Payless told them of the situation and was provided a ticket number. I was told that someone would connect to the location of the towing company and review the car and possibly release it. I was told I would hear something back by the COB but that never happened so I continue to call and was told a different story every time. Each representative I spoke with was rude and articulate the process. I wanted to ensure that the car was release as stated or picked up by a representative before my flight left.

The towing company also stated that they tried to reach out to Payless and also their parent company, Avis and was given the runaround and when they stated they would picked the car up it never happened. They intentionally left the car at the towing company for 9 days and they stole over $1800 from our account. This is not the end and I would never wish this on my worse enemy. I called the processing center in Virginia Beach and the young lady Mallory couldn't explain the charges and was so unprofessional and unruly. This place should be closed down and never again to reopen. This is the worst place to rent a car no matter where you live. Don't do it! I wouldn't even give them a star.

After renting a car in Las Vegas, I returned it 2 hours before the "return time." Much to my surprise I received a tacked on fee of $35 for returning it early. Their website even states the cars can be returned 24/7. After sending several bills which I refused to pay, they referred me to a collection agency who sent all kinds of threatening letters. Of course they could not follow through, so my ultimate punishment was, I COULD NEVER AGAIN RENT A CAR FROM PAYLESS. So beware of this crooked "low priced" car rental agency.

Why I choose Payless, because it's cheap, however, it's a total Wrong. I rent a car at Miami International Airport Payless in December 22nd, 2016. The total amount from the contract is 700 dollars. Since I have a flight to catch, so I return the car into another Payless store. Finally they deduct me 1300 dollars!!! It's unfair, I called Payless Miami International Airport, the phone directly transfer to customers service. I told my problem to customer service. They said they can't found my name and information!!! I try over 50 times, no one pick the phone at Miami International Airport Payless store. The phone automatically transfer to the customer service!! I went to the bank, the bank said they can't cancel the transaction, because I have the contract with Payless, it's not fraud!!! Currently, they deduct me extra money, but nobody help me solve this problem!! I hope you guys don't choose Payless, because I don't want you guys be deceived again!!

I rented a car from the Denver Airport location Oct. 23rd. I arrived late at night, tired and still had a two hour drive. I agreed to the refuel fee but there were other charges I did not agree to. I only realize this after I had left the location... my fault! When I returned the car I didn't fuel the car but I had over a 1/4 of tank. I expected that Payless would only charge me for the fuel used... Wrong! My thought at that time was that will never happen again as I will be much more careful if I ever rent a Payless car in the future!

The first week in December I noticed an unauthorized charge of $50 on my credit card. After reading "Term & Conditions" I assumed that I must have gotten a red light camera violation or a toll violation... neither of which I am aware of doing. I immediately disputed the charge because I EXPECT a letter, bill or something informing me of the charge to my credit card. To date I still have not received any communication from Payless why I was charged a fine. After the last unsuspecting charge and doubling the price of the rental behind the rental company I will NEVER choose Payless as my choice. I have rented from several other companies and Payless tops my list of unethical business! I don't feel that Payless is worthy of a one star rating!

This happened at the Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima Peru. I had used Payless there a few months before and that time everything was fine so tried them again for a New years getaway. This time it was a disaster. I called them before arriving and they sounded like wanted me to change the type of car I had reserved. I reserved a full-sized pickup as I had planned a rafting trip and needed such a vehicle to carry the gear. So I thought they were just trying to get me to lower my reserved vehicle for somebody else but would honor my earlier reservation.

I arrived at the scheduled time and they claimed the vehicle had mechanical issues and they'd let me know in a few minutes about the status, but it looked all phony, and they kept trying to offer me a four-door car so then they call back and said the vehicle is not available. I asked what was wrong. They couldn't tell me. Just for kicks I asked what they would charge me for that 4-door car and they said the same as my reservation. A plain car like that goes for about half of what they charge for full-sized pickup.

I checked other web-sites for a rental of the similar pickup and they all had it for twice the amount of my reservation, so more than likely they gave my reserved vehicle to somebody else for the higher price and left me out in the cold and in fact ruining all my scheduled plans. So as a warning to other users BEWARE of this especially on big holidays time. Also I had this reserved through Expedia but I don't think they do anything about or have a place to place reviews so other users are warned.

I rented a car in November 2016 from Payless. If you look at the internet, you will find that it is replete with complaints about false allegations, overcharges, and other issues. Today I received a call from a insurance company representing Payless stating that there were damages to the rear of the car that I rented. There were no damages to the car. We had a completely uneventful rental. No accidents, no scratches, no nothing. We merely took it to a hotel and back. I inspected the car before and after returning it and the person handing me the receipt at the airport walked around the car and made no statement to us at any time about any damages. I have rented several cars over many years with no damages and have an excellent driving record. Two months after renting they are alleging that there were damages.

I spoke with my State Farm agent, who felt it was a major discrepancy that I was receiving notice with a delay of over two months about alleged damages. This car has likely been rented several times since then. I was called from a number that was listed as "unknown" and a voicemail was left on my phone, referring me to an agent with a claim number, although there were no indication whatsoever as to what the damage was, no photographs, and no information even about the rental. I have to believe, based on this instance and the numerous complaints on the internet, that this is not honest.

Hopefully this is a mistake, but there are multiple, very poor reviews of this company on the internet, including other people who have been accused of allegations of damage where there was none, and multiple complaints about adding charges when they were unwarranted. My strong recommendation is that you never rent from this company. I have reported this to my attorney as well as my insurance agent.

I was charged $213.85 upon return of the vehicle for insurance that we said we did not need. I was told by Juan that all conversations were recorded and if the audio indicated that I was correct that I would be credited. Since then I've not been able to get Laura ** from Payless to tell me what they found on this audio.

I was told that I initialed that I wanted it. I did initial in all the spots that I was told to initial. My mistake for not reading everything. I put too much trust in these people. The customer service rep clearly screwed me intentionally and no one from the company cares. I can see now that based off all the bad reviews on Payless that seems to be how they operate. Do not use this company under any circumstances.

I waited 45 minutes for a shuttle to car lot. I saw other rental agency shuttles pass by 4 or 5 times. The driver and counter help showed no concern. I was late for the wedding I was attending because of the poor service. To add insult to injury the rates I was quoted were misleading. An additional 35% was added for extras. Shoddy service and lack of concern for the customer means I will never use this company again. Very shady operation.

I've recently rented a car and my plane was late. So I got there a couple hours late. The guy the counter said you only do on time car rentals that I was unaware of. The guy wanted to charge me an extra hundred and some dollars more. I was going to walk out so he gave me some kind of a discount and it only cost $50 more. However the car I rented smell like gym socks! Thanks for the start of a good vacation.

I rented a car from Payless 12/27/2016 to 12/30/2016 from the General American Rentals in Hanover MD. The first vehicle I rented had a horrible smell of tobacco smoke in the interior of the vehicle. I asked for a different vehicle and was given a different one. When we got into the new vehicle I noticed the interior of the vehicle had not been cleaned from the people that had rented the vehicle before me. The windows on the inside and out were dirty, the front window looked like someone sprayed a chemical on the window and did not wipe it off, the floors looked like they were vacuumed a little, the dash, console, doors, and every other item in the vehicle was not touched. The vehicle's interior had a odd smell.

I had my son and grandson with me and they also noticed the dirty vehicle and the smell. I was on my way to pick up my other grandson. He also noticed the smell but we make the best of it. I cannot say the problem with the vehicle made our vacation bad but riding in the vehicle would have been a better experience. I like the price of the rental but I do not know if I will rent from Payless again. For lower prices is this what I can expect the next time I rent from Payless?

I too was scammed by Payless. I rented a car for 5 days over Christmas in Denver. I gave them my quote from CarRentals.com the total was 269.81. The gentleman asked me if I wanted an all wheel drive because really bad weather was coming (which never happened), he mentioned nothing about any additional charges - I should have asked. He said I needed the insurance. I told him I already purchased it through CarRentals.com. He insisted that I needed to get collision through them, I said no.

So he handed the papers and said - he told me to initial in 4 spots and sign. So I did. I had no reason to question it. I have been renting cars for years. My first time and last time through this company. They charged me 726.50!!! 457 for car and the rest was all additional. I don't even know they are except 83 dollars in taxes! When I tried to complain they opened a ticket. The response was just a picture of my signature. NEVER AGAIN. My Christmas was ruined.

Left a message with Payless and submitted a ticket to inquire why I was charged $339.94, because I already paid the required quoted amount $165.84 through Avis when I picked up the vehicle. There should not have been any additional charges for that vehicle as I brought it back with a full tank and turned it in way before the time that was required. Rented vehicle on 12/22/2016 for the quoted amount of $165.84, which was paid upon pickup at the Avis counter in Reno/Tahoe Int'l Airport at 12:26 AM.

First issue, windshield wipers were inefficient in rain and continually made noises. Second issue, had a flat tire and tried to put the donut tire on, but there's no lug nut key to take off the lug nut covers on the tire, which prevented me from being able to change it. I was stuck on I-80 westbound with high traffic flying by and stranded on the side of the Interstate. A passerby stopped who happens to work on tires and had a lug nut key and put the donut on for me. I took the car to the next closest location, Goodyear, to get a tire put on or see if the flat could be repaired. Unable to repair the flat so I had to buy a new tire at $97.25. The service tech at Goodyear said the tire pressure on all four tires were over inflated, which could have caused me an accident given the weather conditions at that time. Goodyear reset all tires once they put the new one on.

I dropped off the vehicle on 12/26/2016 at 3:37 AM, again, no Payless associates available so I dropped the key in the Avis box and went to catch my flight. Needless to say, I'm extremely dissatisfied and upset with my car rental experience and as of yet, I have not gotten a phone call from Payless to resolve the issue of overcharging me.

Now, today on 12/28/2016, I no longer have the $165.94 charge from Avis, but rather a $505.94 charge from Payless and I still haven't heard back from them. I've submitted tickets through their corporate ticket system, I've called customer service, which just reverts back to the ticket system. I've tried calling the number for the location that I picked up and dropped off at, but nobody ever answers and I've left messages. I am beyond PISSED OFF! I've submitted a fraudulent charge to my bank for the additional $340 that I was charged. I wouldn't recommend anyone renting a car from this company and I wish I would have thought better of it myself.

I reserved a car through Hotwire for pickup from the Tampa, FL Payless rental car airport location at 1965 N. Westshore Blvd. on October 18th and returned it on October 22nd. The agent was friendly enough but when filling out the rental agreement, I had indicated that I wanted to decline all of the collision optional coverages. The Payless rental agreement is very confusing. As mentioned in another review, I received an estimated price for the rental car through Hotwire without any optional services which is what I wanted and when I rented the car, the rental agreement had every optional service included in the total estimated charge even after I had declined the optional services. These were spelled out on the agreement.

There was another optional service that was abbreviated as 3000 PDW at $13.99 a day. The agent did not explain what this stood for, and when I asked what was I accepting, he gave me an explanation that by accepting this with my initials. I was declining all optional collision services. This turned out to be completely false and I unknowingly initialed this box as accepting this service. I did not realize this until I received my charge on my credit card. The car was returned on time with a full tank of gas in the same condition as when I picked it up. Upon return to the rental lot, there was no one to receive my car for return; the agent at that time said to just leave the keys with him. I also did not receive a final bill at the time of return nor was there one that was emailed to me. When I requested a final bill, the optional 3000 PDW at $13.99/day was on this final bill which escalated my expected total charge by $55+.

I believe the agent was not forthright in carrying out my request to decline all optional services and the customer service people at Payless would not even acknowledge that the agent could have contributed to this misunderstanding and therefore would not refund these charges back to me. I believe that the behavior of this agent and the rental agreement can be used to dupe unsuspecting people including seniors like myself in thinking that you were declining all optional services. Additionally, the rental form contains optional services that are spelled out and others that contain abbreviations which the typical consumer would not know what they mean. I am unhappy about my experience with Payless, still deserve a refund from Payless and would not rent a car from them, nor would I recommend anyone else rent from them either.

The rental service at Payless TAMPA Airport is a complete scam! Their customer care process is an even bigger scam! Buyer beware! I rented online for $10 dollars a day, total bill was supposed to be $79 for the week. However, I was offered an upgrade for $5 a day, an 85% discount for the Gold Card I use for travel. It was a complete LIE! They trick you into signing for an upgrade and they know that no discount will be applied. They charged me $200 more that the original rental agreement online. I've never dealt with a business that would scam its customers the way that location is doing. From reading the other post on this site, it is apparent that I got scammed as well. This is utterly ridiculous that they are getting away with this scam!

Just on principle, I want to file a lawsuit just to bring attention to this problem. They obviously have no care in the world to take care of their customers. Their complaint process is just as fraudulent and they DO BLOW you off and they are totally insensitive. Don't even try to call the local office, they do not return any calls and the the 1-800-PAYLESS number is not going to assist you. They are completely aware of what they are doing because they will tell you, you signed for it. Just avoid this place, spread the word to your friends and family. Do not fall for the online price, they will get you with the charges and false information!

I went to pick up my rental car that I had reserved, and the place was closed. Don't waste your time or MONEY with these inconsiderate scumbags. I called and made a formal complaint with the company and they didn't care.

If I could give this company 0 stars I would. I was traveling for work and we picked up the card from a seedy hotel at 8PM at night (1st problem - safety). The car's driver seat was permanently locked in the reclined position (2nd problem - functionality). When picking up the car the employee behind the desk asked if I wanted additional liability coverage and I declined it. Then my fault in all this was I didn't read the rental agreement (4+ pages) in detail before signing. Remember I am at a seedy hotel at 8PM at night by myself in a city I am unfamiliar with. The employee had selected the increased liability insurance without my consent and when I initialed the agreement I unknowingly agreed to increased liability insurance (3rd problem - I assumed I was renting from an ethical company).

When I returned the car the rental office wasn't open and I had to be on a plane before they were going to open. There was an option to return the car to the airport to Budget or Avis (parent company). I returned the car at the airport and the person checking in the car took my rental agreement saying they needed the copy to check the car in because they were different companies and had different computer systems. I couldn't get a receipt at the time because again the systems were incompatible.

When I got back to work the next day I called Payless to get a receipt and it took 2 hours of going back and forth with Avis/Budget/Payless customer service until someone could track down the receipt and confirmation that the car was returned. I was forced to set up a "ticket" in their service desk department and it took 72 hours to actually receive the receipt (4th problem - slow responsiveness). That's when I first realized that I was charged for something I didn't purchase. I asked for the insurance to be credited since I did not request the service. The only communication I could get was behind a computer screen with a customer service rep that refused to pick up the phone and call me at my request. The entire ordeal took over a week to "resolve" (72 hours per response) at which time they refused to credit the insurance because they had a copy of a rental agreement that I initialed accepting the coverage.

In the interim they took 72 hours to tell me about a fuel charge that I didn't contest (5th problem - incompetent customer service agents wasting people's time). They have never provided me a copy of the rental agreement (they took it from me at check in). I called the customer service department many times and they told me there was no one I could talk to and that I had no other resolution other than the person sitting behind the computer screen refusing to talk to me. Ultimately I contested the charge with the credit card company and made it their problem. I am still awaiting a resolution, but in the meantime the funds were removed from my credit card until it can be resolved (kudos to my Citi card company customer service!)

I WILL NEVER RENT A CAR FROM THIS PLACE AGAIN. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. For what it's worth, I am not a review reader and rarely purchase things just based on reviews alone. I am a learn from my own experiences kind of person. If you listen to one review, let it be this one. I also don't have the time to write lengthy reviews like this (I work full time and have two kids under the age of 2 at home). I have much better things to do with my time. I am hoping I can save one person's misery by writing this. STEER CLEAR OF PAYLESS CAR RENTAL!!!

When you bring the car back full they still charge for fuel. Then have you walk across the garage, 500 feet with bags, to get a credit on a service you didn't purchase or request. It's been two months, no credit. So now, I'm asking my credit card to issue a credit. Why was I charged for services not rendered? Why is it inconvenient to request a credit for something I didn't ask for? They were able to charge me full amount but didn't credit the fuel surcharge that was not needed in the first place. This is a scam and needs to be stopped.

Rented a car from Payless that I had booked through Travelocity. It was one price on Travelocity but then the Payless representative had snuck in charges for XM satellite radio. I never asked for this service nor did they ever mention I would be charged for satellite radio. When I complained to customer service and I asked for a credit, they told me too bad they couldn't help me. I should have known better than to rent from this bootleg company when they were asking me for a utility bill. I've rented cars on numerous occasions and have never been asked for a utility bill. Avoid this company at all costs. They lost a customer for life because of their bad business practices. I've read other reviews and they apparently regularly do this.

My wife was overcharged with optional services added to the contract despite stating that she was declining all additional services. Not being overly familiar with the rental car process and heavy-handed sales techniques often used she was the victim of unscrupulous business practices by the Payless Rental Car location at the Las Vegas Airport. AFTER calling to complain and request a refund of the excessive overcharge NOTHING was done as promised! I will NEVER rent another car from Payless! I will also contact my cc company to dispute the charge and request a refund. Very Disappointed!

Upon my rental agreement, I did not agree to accept accident coverage and was charged an extra hundred dollars. While processing the terms I asked the ** lady what was that extra charge and she stated it was only for a deposit. It's a shame how this company has taken advantage of so many people! Returning back and speaking to the outraged manager was no help at all. His main concern was the signature on the agreement when it should have been about the customers concerned! We rent too many cars while traveling to be treated this way and we will never recommend this service to anyone! Horrible!

I was promised a car for $35/day. When I arrived at the rental counter in Memphis I was told there were no cars available. After "reminding" Portia that she and I spoke the day before, she "all of a sudden found a Mazda". Upon signing the rental agreement I saw that she charged me $173.76!! Portia knew I was desperate for a car as I had my 17 year old daughter with me for a college visit and we had a 1pm appointment. I was victimized and paid an astounding amount of money based on the fact that Portia knew I had no choice but to pay the inflated price for if I did not I would have been stranded at Memphis Airport. Please do a full investigation into the practices that Payless employs to essentially rob the consumer at a desperate moment. In addition, the vehicle was unsafe to drive as the brakes were grinding and pulsing the entire trip.

I booked a Fiat Panda in Lanzarote for a week. As soon as took the car I had to give it back as it was incredibly filthy and smelly. They gave me another one that it was basically the same: dirty, full of sand and smelly. Patches of dirt all over the seats. I didn't feel like bringing the second one back too, I spent some money into cleaning it instead. I then brought the car back at the end of the holiday with half tank full instead of 3/4. It was a Fiat Panda, very small, but still they asked me for 18 euro for the quarter tank missing, which I had to pay, they didn't accept my argument. I paid the car 98 euro for a week. I met people on the Lanzarote island who paid 70 euro for the week and got brand new, clean and shiny cars. Payless is not only overpriced but also unprofessional, careless and dirty. Never again!

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.
  • Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.
  • Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.
  • Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.
  • Best for Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Compare Rental Cars