2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a good rental car company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Payless Car Rental Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I rented a car over Christmas break and they overcharged by over the twice the amount I was quoted saying the car was returned on Jan 3rd with half a tank and at 8pm. I returned the car on Dec 29th at 9am with a full tank of gas. I have called and emailed numerous times without any response. Do not rent from this company.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Let me start by saying my original trip was a round trip flight LGA-DEN for a week. About 2 weeks or so prior to the date of the trip we had an event come up in Dallas so we decided to go there at the end of the trip. Flights were at this point very expensive. Renting a car was a no brainer based on price and the fact that we had bags to check.

We had no flight into Denver so we get to the airport terminal and proceed to the rental car bus pick up section where we were instructed via email to “Call for pick up from the direct line phone at the rental counter in the terminal, then proceed to island 4 for shuttle pick up.” Me along with several other people could not find such a phone anywhere (inside or outside)! The bus arrives by some miracle and we board with the driver less than thrilled with his job not saying a single word to anyone while carelessly tossing the bags onto the bus.

We get to the building without issue and proceed to the counter. I’m greeted by a female in a wrinkly untucked buttondown shirt. She asks me very directly “where are you going?”. I tell her Dallas and she says “why don’t you just fly there? You flew here!”. Does she not want my business? Why do I have to explain my reasoning for how I travel? Continuing throughout the conversation she was very short and quick like she would do anything to speed up the process. I was going to ask for 2 extra days with the vehicle to use in Dallas but I knew after just speaking to this employee for a few minutes I do not want to deal with this company any more than I have to. She tosses me the keys and says “Aisle 56. You’re all set”. No walk around the vehicle with me for damage or to ensure fuel level.

I get to my vehicle and do a walk around myself notating any damages with my camera. I get in the car and immediately notice it has not been cleaned at all on the inside. It had some sort of sauce on the driver door, by the radio, and on the passenger door. A previous rental agreement with someone’s personal information from Avis in the center console. A vape pen in the driver's door.

I arrive in a Dallas and drop off the car to the intake employees and proceed into the airport rental car building. Immediately upon entering I walk directly to the Enterprise counter and book a vehicle for 2 days in Dallas with an experience from the reception desk to the drive off immensely better than Payless. I can comfortably say I will NEVER use Payless Rental Car EVER again. Customer Service can be the most basic process and I promise I’m not looking to have my feet kissed by the employees but basic professionalism is expected. Spend a little more and go with a company more reputable. It’s worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I rented a car over Christmas break and they did not return my car in the system. And I was given a receipt for $270.95 and they changed me for 850.05 saying my car was 6 days past due. When I was on the flight home and had returned the vehicle. I have waited the minimum 72 hours and still have not received my refund or have had anything fixed. I do not recommend renting from them. They are a fraud company. It’s a scam.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My husband rented a car over Christmas week. He was told to bring the car back with a full tank of gas. He gassed it up the night before we returned it at Chicago O'Hare airport. They emailed my husband that it was a gallon short and they were charging him over $80.00 dollars for 1 gallon of gas. He has been trying to speak to someone but nobody will return his call. DO NOT RENT FROM THESE CROOKS!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Booked a car through Orbitz with Payless in Turks & Caicos, several months in advance. Upon arrival, they had no cars available whatsoever, neither automatic no manual. I had to rent on site through another company, at about 3 times the original price. Payless cons travelers, booking attractive rentals and then redirecting to another shady operator.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Worst experience I have ever had in renting cars for the past 45 years. Quoted $420 for 4 days in Puerto Rico through Payless Car Rental in Carolina at the airport when it was reserved. Waited for over an hour to pick up the vehicle and was told at that time it would be $420 if returned with a full tank of gas. When the vehicle was returned the agents attempted to charged us for damage to the vehicle that was already present when it was given to us. Fortunately, my son had the presence of mind to take a video of the entire exterior of the vehicle before we took took possession of it.

When we showed them the video of the existing damage, they lost their argument for our paying for the damage. If we didn't have the video we would have been paying for damage that had only been done to the vehicle. Additionally, with added fees that nobody can clearly define for me our charges ended up being $537.57 instead of the agreed up $420. Over $100 of added fees that were never divulged until the vehicle was returned. Avoid Payless Car Rental at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

They are PayMORE not payLess at all. They are dishonest. They put lower rates on the Internet and when I went to pick up the car, they made it the most expensive rate! They wanted to force me to buy their insurance for $20 a day and they insisted that the insurance is mandatory (they did not accept my insurance with Credit Card). I checked with 3 other car rentals, all said it is not mandatory and the max price for insurance is $14 a day! One of those 3 car rentals offered me $11 a day (If I wanted as optional)!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I recently rented a car for our family vacation. Shortly after I begun driving the car, a low tire pressure light came on. We stopped at a gas station to add air. The light would come on about twice a day. We were visiting gas stations twice a day to top the air off. Sometimes air was free/sometimes it was $1.50. After becoming frustrated with this activity, we contacted Customer Service. They advised us to return the car to McClellan-Palomar airport. It was late in the day, and they were closing soon.

Upon arrival, they advised that they do not handle Payless cars. The next day we attempted to contact Customer Service again. As we were close to the San Diego airport, we asked if we could swap out the car at that location. The agent told us we needed to return the car to Ontario, California (near Los Angeles). This was not feasible as we were not planning to go to LA. I am very disappointed that this could not be resolved. I have never encountered such an experience from a car rental agency before.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

This has been the most difficult experience I have ever had disputing charges on a car rental. I have rented cars for years. Payless charged me 4 x times the amount of my rental and won't credit my card. You call their Customer "care" number and you are sent to a call center in Mexico where nobody knows anything and can't resolve your problem. I submitted my complaint online as well and nobody deals with that either. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND NEVER RENT FROM PAYLESS. PAY A LITTLE MORE AND YOU WILL BE HAPPIER.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I made a reservation for Thanksgiving day and as I was headed to the airport to pick up the rental I realized I inadvertently reserved it for 9pm instead of 9am. Oops my bad so I had to hurry up and fix it, the original company Hertz is who I was going through didn't have what I needed for that time so I chose Payless. I rent all the time but I have never used them, hey can't hurt to try. Just needed the car for one day. It was $87. Got the car. Asked about a state discount knowing good well the offer. The guy at the desk said no and I showed up on our company website they did and he looked dumbfounded. Whatever. I didn't have time for all that. It was only $87. I said it's okay. I book out through the company website next time.

Fast forward. I drop off the car, 2 days later my credit card is charged $227. And I've called continuously to no avail as to why I have those charges, no damage was done. 3 days later I finally get someone, he takes down my info days and says he's escalating my call and that someone will call me. It's a week later and nothing. I'm pissed and I've called back only to get a recording. Never again will I ever rent from them.

Not sure about Payless Car Rental?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Rental Cars for you.

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information