Payless Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Payless car atSan Diego airport - Service at the counter was fine. The problem was the car was very old and - windows were manual with handle cranks, door locks were manual. You could only lock each door separately. That was impossible from the driver's seat. Several dings on the rear of the car which I had to point out to the person checking out the car. Mileage was over 13,000 miles. I felt I was renting a "rent-a-wreck"!

When I told the Payless person when returning the car all he told me was "We rent cars cheap." Payless you do but you don't let your customers know that. I will never rent from your company again. Tell us up front that we are getting a below rental car standards car. That may help us to go somewhere else the first time. Also the bill I paid was $17.91 more than CarRental.com quoted me. The difference seemed to be you added more taxes than they showed. Not good.

Rented a midsize sub, was handed a small tiny one and told it's a midsize, my 3 year old found a beer can open with beer in the back which he poured all over himself. Manager and associates we're very rude. Did not want to offer any help. Do not go here, they are the worst of the worst.

Rented a car from Payless at the airport in Sarasota, FL. We had reserved the car online and was told the cost would be $356. When we picked up the car the guy at the counter said we were both required to initial and sign the document. What he had us sign was a form saying that we would both be drivers which allowed them to charge us an extra $200. They are a bait and switch organization and cannot be trusted. DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS.

Traveling to Dallas to be with my son after a motorcycle accident and upcoming surgery. After booking flight on Expedia, I called to find the least expensive car rental and booked a small SUV at Payless for $316 for 5 days. Upon arrival in DFW, I was told they had no SUV and would I take a compact car... I said as long as it's the same price. She took my credit card and handed me a bill to sign for $446.00. I was told the amount was administrative fees! Tired and unable to leave airport without a car, I took it. The first thing I noticed is it smelled of urine. After arriving at my son's home, I immediately called Expedia who tried calling Payless and returned to tell me they advised him that they charged me $316 and offered no assistance.

I then called Payless at DFW myself and a gentleman informed me that customer service would call me within 2 hours... and I was forced to call them again. After getting no help on second attempt, my daughter in law, son and 3 grandkids proceeded to take the car back to rental location. There was no one at counter for at least 15 minutes and finally 2 employees appeared. I explained I did not want to continue this rental as it was overpriced and smells. She then hands me a receipt for over $300! Obviously I complained and she walks off for another half hour... I asked her coworker where she was and he said talking to the manager.

Finally she returns, says nothing and hands me another receipt for $150! I was told it was because I did not keep car for minimum amount of time and I did after all drive it off the lot! I asked to speak to the manager and was told that she was getting ready to leave. This darling girl then proceeds to remove the gas charge from the bill since I did bring the tank back full of gas. The next day I rented from Enterprise for the remainder of my trip for $138. All that I can say is for heaven's sake, do not for any reason rent from this company!

I made an online reservation 3 days in advance to secure the car needed for my business trip in Atlanta, Georgia coming from Los Angeles. Once I arrived at the Atlanta airport and to retrieve the car I reserved, which is an SUV, to my surprise, the vehicle was not available and was already given to another customer. In short, the reserved car is not there. The Employee in the name of Samantha was so rude that threaten to CANCEL THE RESERVATION. I said that there is no point to cancel since the car that I reserved is not available.

To get things complicated, they gave me a Sedan car, which has lower daily rent charge and did not bother to give me the discount for the difference. I was forced to take the small car out of necessity since I will be late for my business appointment. This employees has no customer service skills and rude. This company is not trustworthy. In short, this company will do a "BAIT & SWITCH" to lure prospective customer. What is the point of making a reservation when they don't honor it. I even ask for a discount but they made a silly excuse that their computer is down. I got charge for an SUV rate of $49.97/day rate that I reserved for 4 days when the car they gave me, a KIA car has only $24.12/day rate. This is what you called a HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS CAR RENTAL COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

I had to make a trip to Florida for a family emergency. I had reserved a car at Payless in the airport. The agent asked me if I wanted insurance and I declined. Between my personal auto policy and credit card I have that covered. He then asked me to initial several places and sign which I did without reading the agreement. (Lesson learned). I was distracted and in a rush and never even looked at the agreement until 2 days later when I called to extend my rental due to my family member still being hospitalized. That is when I noted I was charged $24.99 a day for insurance even though I had verbally declined it.

Not knowing how much longer I would need the car, I decided to drive the 60 miles each way to return the car and rent from another company. I went to the Payless counter to dispute the charge. I was told I had to call the 800 number to handle that. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was not one on site and I had to call the number. I did call the number and was told that could only be handled at the Payless counter where I rented the car! I rented another car from Budget and it was so easy and I was not scammed into buying insurance I did not want. Yes, I will read a rental agreement closer in the future.

I called to verify I would be able to pick up car late at night as my flight had been delayed several hours. I was told yes but I would be charged over 30% more. When I went online to change the time it showed my reservation had been canceled. When I called Payless I was told the only thing they could do is make a new res. for even more $. Adding insult to injury I could barely hear the foreign employees.

We rented a car for our family vacation. Never received a confirmation email as promised but instead an email wanting us to purchase additional insurance. We have full coverage so we refused. We even showed them our insurance card at the desk. My husband wanted to pay cash for the car but they wouldn't accept that because then they can't screw you out of money later. I had to pay with my debit card so then they charged us for an additional driver since both of our names weren't on the card. I was not in on the previous conversation and was told to sign to authorize my card. My signature authorized insurance that we had refused and an additional driver that we did not need. They debited my account for $483 instead of $265. BEWARE!!! RIPOFF ARTISTS!

I rented a minivan for my family trip to D.C. and used Priceline for the reservation due to the decent price of the minivan they had available, and let me say that I wish I never rented from Payless. The first two days of the trip was good until the third day, while traveling on the interstate a small foreign object fell from under the vehicle in front of me and hit my windshield which left a small crack. I when I brought the rental car back no one was at the counter where I could ask any questions about the damage to the windshield. I asked the agent that was behind the Avis counter and she told me that she was out to lunch and didn't know when she would be back (you would think she would have an another person to take her place while she was out to lunch).

I tried on numerous occasions to speak with someone at customer service number and every time he refuses to discuss the issue or questions I have and tell me to complete an online complaint form, which still I don't get an answer to the question I am asking. When I asked to speak to a manager to help me with this he hung up on me. You have by far the worst customer service for a company I have ever experienced, and by reading other reviews of this company on Yelp I see why my customer service experience was awful.

I had the worst Hertz customer service experience that I needed to return their car to another location instead of extending the car rental. So I was said to return the car to San Jose Airport or else the car will be reported as a stolen car. I arrived at San Jose airport gave the car back to Hertz. Now I was stuck at San Jose, California and needed to go back home at Reno, Nevada.

I was so desperate to go home, so I checked every car rental company at San Jose, California looking for the cheapest and the best car that I can have for one way going to Reno, Nevada. I went to "PAYLESS" Car Rental and their agent named Humberto was trying to get me a car and so eager to send me back to my place, Reno. He gave me the best deal out of all the car rental company in San Jose Airport. I am so so blessed that I met this guy and this company. They're the reason why right now, I am sitting here in my couch in my room at Reno, NV. Thanks guys, thanks Humberto from Payless San Jose Airport. Cheers!

In Richmond, VA... My 94 year old was left outside for two hours while we waited for a customer service person to show up and help us upon returning a car... they refused to call for wheel chair service and when I spoke to the young lady of ** descent she immediately told me she is not responsible for helping to get a wheel chair for my elderly father. She was belligerent and very abrupt. She would not provide her name and said if I did not like the way she was treating us that I should call 1-800-payless. My father had a heat stroke and I had to immediately run into the airport and try to find an attendant with a wheel chair. The woman who eventually showed up to work said they are not responsible for providing help in obtaining wheel chair service for the elderly sick client and that if I did not like this call 1-800 payless... and asked me to leave the counter.

I agreed to pay $25.00 per day for a rental and upon return the agent was not at work and I was charged a late fee of $75.00. Please remove these erroneous charges from my American Express Card. This employee should be fired. I told her about the charges and she would not refund it. My father is under the care of a MD Dr. and is being treated for heat exhaustion. Please remove these erroneous fees and have a regional manager contact me to make sure this employee is retrained or removed as a customer service representative for Payless as she has disregard for customer service.

Nearly a month after dropping the car off and watching a woman inspect the car and notify us that there were no problems, I received an unknown charge on my credit card for $75. Later, I received a letter in the mail notifying me that I was charged a $75 cleaning fee because of "excess dirt/sand" in the rear of the car. Not only did we watch a woman inspect the car upon its return and say there were no issues; no one in my party ever used the rear of the car, and no one did anything that even involved stepping in dirt or sand. When I notified Payless that they made a mistake with their charge, they were entirely unhelpful taking weeks to respond and telling me it was my responsibility even if I didn't cause the mess. Please beware of mystery charges even after drop off. It seems like they're only able to keep rental car costs down by charging consumers later with completely fake fees.

My wife rented a car to visit our son. Upon arriving from her flight, she called for their shuttle pickup. She made six separate calls, when no one came. After waiting over an hour and a half, she gave up and found the shuttle driver for another rental company. So, here is what we learned: On a Saturday, mid-day, they had only one shuttle. The shuttle driver was not even going to her terminal. There was no manager to contact. The people kept hanging up on me, when I tried to resolve it for her. For the absent branch manager, I was given the office number, being told it was his cell phone number.

I could not get their national customer service people to resolve it, being transferred by their automated phone system to rental car reservations and then being placed on hold for over ten minutes, when I was told by the representative that she was getting her supervisor for me to speak to. The only reason that I am writing this review is that no one seemed to care enough to help my wife or me. Maybe this will help them to care more. Unless they make it right with me and make changes to their company, I could not recommend reserving a car with them in Minneapolis.

The worse company I have ever dealt with. They were so insistent on getting their $50 fee after I canceled despite my 3 phone calls. I cancelled 7 days in advance. I did NOT receive any service or product for this money; they could care less! GO TO HERTZ!

We rented a Jeep Cherokee from Payless Rental in San Diego. The counterperson was persistent in trying to sell me unneeded services. When I picked up the Jeep Cherokee I had rented the inside of the windshield and several side windows were filthy. The passenger side front window was covered with footprints. It was obvious the car had been run through a carwash but no effort was made to clean the inside.

We reserved a car at DFW on 6/26/17 because of the great price advertised online. Upon arrival at the rental facility on the shuttle, during business hours, there was nobody working at the Payless counter. Nobody! Thinking they may be in the back, we waited several minutes, then called the number on the reservation. It said to press 6 for a rental agent. After pressing 6, there was just dead air. It didn't even ring or connect. I called two more times, same thing, so something is also wrong with their phone system or IVR. A lady standing nearby charging her phone spoke up and said she hadn't seen anyone working at Payless, and that another customer had walked over to Budget and was now in line with Budget instead. After 15 minutes of waiting, we walked over to Enterprise and received wonderful service. Unreal. Never again.

I Pre-trip rented a vehicle from Payless. When I picked up the car it was filthy. On my way to my dad's house, I realized the headlights were out. So I called them right away to let them know I would return the car the next day for an exchange. The attendant checked the car out and said the batteries were dying. The car I received was also filthy. No windshield wiper fluid and no gas. Now 2 months later, they are trying to pin me as the person who "damaged the 1st car". I did not do this. This company has incompetent people working for them. As you can see, somebody is not doing their job of cleaning and making sure these cars are rental ready. PLEASE spare yourself the agony of incompetent people who don't do a good job. I have rented many cars and have never had an experience like this. I will not rent a vehicle from Payless ever again.

I rented a car in Reno Nevada through Expedia, a company I have used before. I was given an itinerary and statement of charges. The price was to be $44.40 and an extra day was to be charged at $22.26 a day. The salesperson, Penny at Payless told me I would need to use chains if I was going over the pass and suggested an All Wheel drive vehicle... she gave me several rates verbally, all of which I declined. THEN suddenly she had a AWD for only $5.00 a day more. She asked if she could just credit me the $15.00 that she had entered??? On a car which would have been $10.00 a day more?

The car was rented for three days but my bill at pickup was DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF MY CONTRACT. The staff at Payless were dishonest, fraudulent and I am furious. I have since seen a bill that I NEVER SAW was submitted by Payless to my Master Card where I had started a dispute. It has been nearly 4 months, over which I have completed five long phone calls to Master Card, sent all my documentation via fax which cost me an additional $10.00 to send and the issue is still not resolved.

Payless is a total scam and I would like to file a class action lawsuit against these idiots... now they are reopening the case and I must do it all again? I have spent countless hours of my valuable time only to hear the same baloney. My itinerary from Expedia is number ** confirmation number is **. I never was given my initialed copy back, by daily rate was doubled and they charged a $10.00 late fee!

I made a reservation for a midsize car to be picked-up June 17, 2017 and dropped-off June 24, 2017 from Payless Car Rental in Orlando, Florida. The total price, including all mandatory taxes and fees was $251.82 ($181.06 Base Price + $70.76 Taxes & Fees). Although the agent at the Payless counter in Orlando tried to sell me all types of additional insurance, products and services; I declined all and advised the agent that I only wanted the Base Price and mandatory taxes and fees included in my rental agreement. I signed an agreement showing that I declined Optional Products/Services.

The agreement I signed showed an Estimated Total Charge of $335.11, which the agent explained was to cover charges for not bring the car back with a full tank of gas and any toll charges not paid. I advised the agent that I would fill the tank before returning the car and pay any toll charges I incur. The agent ensured me that this was just an estimate and no additional amounts would be charged to me if I returned the car with a full tank and did not have any toll charges.

When I returned the car, I was charged $335.11. When I questioned the agent receiving the returned car, she advised that I would have to proceed to the Payless booth in the garage to dispute the charges. When I went to the Payless booth in the garage, the agent at the booth acknowledged that I returned the car with a full tank and that was the only charge he could remove. As a result, he reduced the charge by $34.17, leaving a new charge of $300.94. The agent at the booth advised that I would have to return to the agent at the Payless counter in the terminal to dispute the remaining charges.

When I returned to the Payless counter in the terminal, the agent told me that I had a mandatory charge that was required by the State of Florida which was shown in the rental agreement as 1 RSP $5.99/DY 41.93/WK. The agent that prepared my rental agreement, number **, on June 17, 2017 was the same agent at the counter on June 24, 2017 when I returned the car. I advised the agent that I declined all optional insurance, products and services. Further, I had a confirmation letter from Payless showing my total price for the rental was $251.82, which price was the Base Price including all mandatory taxes and fees.

The agent advised that because the 1 RSP 5.99/Dy 41.93/WK was a State mandate, she could not refund the charges. Because I had already been given the run around and had a flight to catch, I could not argue my point any further with the agent. However, because of Payless deceptive practices, I was charged $49.12 in excess of my agreement.

I rented a truck F-150 with a back seat and a cover over the bed. Went to pick it up and they didn't have the cover on the truck. I was like I need something where I can put my bags so they don't get wet. They gave me another Dodge Journey. I got it home. It was dirty in the inside and had bugs in the back seat... You pay $300 you want a clean car.

After declining collision and liability, and initialing, the correct amount of 101.59, my credit card was charged 172.99 which was the amount which included those insurance options. They are very crooked. I would advise anyone to steer clear of this company.

After making reservations online for a full-size car, a prepayment of $283.89 and declining all their other offers of more insurance, products and services I arrived in San Antonio. Miguel, the agent, again tried to influence me into more insurance stating that all of the charges incurred because of accidents or damages would have to be borne by me because my insurance wouldn't cover everything. I had to tell him “no” about three times because he was very persistent. Then I was told he didn't have a sedan for me and the only thing available was an SUV. I told him I didn't care for SUV's and then he offered me a pick-up. I took the SUV. He hurriedly had me sign and initial the rental agreement.

I saw that all of the optional products and services had "declined" after each service/product. What I didn't see right below, was an item shown as 1 RSP 5.99/Dy 41.93/WK{{{{/MX. I thought it was part of the line above which was for supplemental liability insurance and it showed as "declined". Nowhere on the "RSP" line did it show "accepted". When I returned the car, the receipt was printed and handed to me. On the way to the airport, I looked at the receipt and saw an additional charge of $60.80.

Back in Denver, I called the customer service number on the website and spoke with a rep and asked about the charge. That is when I was told, I had been charged for the "RSP" which is for roadside assistance and other things which are already covered by my Geico insurance. I asked why would I decline everything else and accept something I didn't need. The agent said he would look into it but I have heard nothing. Payless inquired about the rental on Twitter. I responded about the fraudulent charges and their deceiving rental agreements. They tweeted back and asked for the rental agreement. I have answered back five times and they keep asking for the rental agreements and I keep sending the information and have to hear anything else. I have already reported this to the BBB in San Antonio and my credit card company.

We rented a car at the San Jose Payless location. They tried to add on a charge for Roadside assistance. We reserved a mid size SUV and they gave us a Mazda 3 - we needed to be at my daughter's at a certain time, so we were in a bind and could not argue about the switch. Their customer service options are a joke - only via e-mail, which tells you they have no customer service. AVOID ANY AND ALL PAYLESS LOCATIONS. Scam rental.

I rented a car from the Payless Car Rental center at Denver International Airport to use while I was attending my father's funeral. The rental agent did not explain the contract clearly and was only concerned about where I was going and how nice the car would be. The car was a Ford Fusion, 4 door. The first thing I noticed upon entering the car was that the sunglasses holder was broken and blocking part of the rear-view mirror, when I tried to push it back up there was old tape marks from where it had been taped up instead of being fixed. There was also dirt and debris on the floor, streaks on the window, and half of the promised amenities of the car were missing.

As if all of this wasn't irritating enough, when I looked over the contract (I had picked up the car after an 11pm flight) while trying to get ahold of someone to extend the rental I noticed $200.00 in charges that had not been explained. To top off this rental from hell, the back passenger door came ajar while I was driving down the highway, right next to my 3 year old nephew! A few minutes later the front passenger door also came ajar next to my sister. When confronted with this, the manager felt that a fair compensation for being overcharged and my family's lives put in danger was to take $150.00 off the bill! I will NEVER rent from Payless or their parent company Avis again! If you value the life of your family I suggest using another company.

Payless Car Rental is the worst. I paid for a rental car in Atlanta's Airport for my fiance on Mother's Day weekend and it was just a horrible experience for us. First of all she reserved a car from Payless Rental online through the Southwest airplane company. And we got off the plane and went to Payless customer service desk to pick up our car we were told that they did not have any cars for a half hour or so and that they would have to take our phone number and call us when one was ready. Or we will be welcome to check elsewhere since we didn't sign the contract as of yet. It was all rotten from there on and after waiting for an hour and a half in the airport and going to other car companies who had cars but we're way out of our price range due to the fact that it was Mother's Day weekend we decided to wait it out. Boy was that a mistake we shouldn't made!

So after waiting around the counter and watching other customers go up and get the same for a car. All of a sudden an Asian couple walks up to the counter and receives a car, sign the papers and walks away with no problem at all. My fiance goes loose wire because we've been waiting in here for an hour and a half now for car that she reserved. The first thing out of the gentleman's mouth is that he tried to call her several times. We are less than 10 feet away from the counter with other customers waiting on cars as well. No phone was picked up nor called out. Our phones were all charged with perfect signals. He clearly lied to us then he passed us off to another lady that took care of us so, we thought we were getting good service at that point. Again we were wrong.

** waited another 45 minutes going back and forth with different prices and quotes because my fiance wasn't paying for it and I was and that the prices would have to increase etcetera etcetera. We finally came to a conclusion of $215 to be paid. Which I thought was ridiculous at the time but since we were stressed out and everything I went ahead and bought it anyway. We get to the car, the car is dirty. We both clean it out and proceed on to our weekend. We get back to the airport to turn the car in. We were told to park at such-and-such lane which we did and we walk back in and turn in the keys. Great transaction. No problem whatsoever and I noticed no one is checking the gas and or checking to see if it was cleaned now, I don't care at this point I'm out of here but, I do understand why our car was dirty at this point.

Now, we're off thinking everything is great. I get back home Monday morning and check my credit card to see if they've adjusted my bill for the complaint we made while we were waiting around in the airport and being rude to for an hour and a half and wasting our valuable time. But lo and behold now I see it. I've been charged an extra $42.55 for no apparent reason. So I call and make a another complaint to their toll free number and the guy says that he will have it taken care of within 72 hours. Car we received was dirty when we got in it, we got overcharges, phone numbers that never answer, customer service with poor English skills.

Be real careful signing anything with these crooks and you will be sorry once they have your credit card access. Cars are filthy. Office hours are terrible. You will prob have to leave the car with another company. Employees are just useless, they hate their jobs and treat you like such. So my advice to you when renting a car, use the big guys, pay the extra bucks for peace of mind. We'd strongly advise you all to staying away from Payless Rental Cars. When I returned home my credit card was charged $42.55.... for a $6 toll. Stay away from this company.

I rented a car at the Dallas Fort Worth airport. I reserved the car for two days. The price was 23.99 per day, but when I returned the car they added some extra charges to my rental which I did not know or agree to. They added a Loss damage waiver, personal sickness plan and others charges that adds to a total of =148.00 on the top of my rental charge. Please if you are renting from this company make sure not to be surprised with this hidden fees. I learned not to rent a car from them again. Please choose any other company not Payless.

One week ago I left items in the Payless rental car that I rented from McCarren Airport in Las Vegas. I could not go back to the car because our flight was to depart. I reported the event of lost items that very day to a voicemail that was full and to the lost and found voicemail that I left my name and phone number. No one from the Las Vegas Payless Rental company has ever returned a phone call or e-mail in over a week. I then called the Payless customer service in LA and talked with Frank, he gave me ticket number and told me that they would contact me in 3 business days. This has yet to transpire. I have called the customer support for Payless about my ticket number 3 times now and no one has ever gotten back to me. I will never rent from them again!!! Their customer support is terrible. Beware!!!

I reserved a car rental in San Diego in May 2017. When I arrived to pick up the car, the agent went very quickly through the contact and stated that I was getting the insurance package, which more than doubled the cost of the rental. I clarified that I did not ask for that option and that I did not need it as I'm covered through my own auto insurance. After several minutes of arguing to remove this fee, the agent dropped the full coverage and stated that I would get the more basic coverage.

Again, I explained that this was not needed and that I did not accept this charge. The agent demanded that I show not just my insurance card but my full auto insurance policy so he could review it before he rented the car to me without additional insurance (the woman also trying to rent from the other agent had to call her husband to have the same documents faxed to the rental office at the airport - I was lucky that my documents are available online). This was extremely frustrating as if now been speaking with the agent for more than 10 minutes and although I travel frequently for business I'd never been asked to share full personal documents to rent a car.

Finally, it was agreed that the fee would be dropped. Before I could sign the contract, the agent sad if I scratched or scuffed the car, I would be charged $250 plus my insurance deductible. I was shocked by this, as the insurance deductible would normally go to my insurer if there was a claim. He stated that the insurer would have to try to recover to deductible from Payless, which they may or may not have been able to do. At this point, I accepted that this was a complete scam, and decided to rent with another company at the last minute despite increased cost since I'd lost the opportunity to make the reservation in advance. If you rent with Payless, be prepared for hundreds of dollars in additional, undisclosed fees.

We made a reservation 3 weeks in advance for a car. When we went to pick the car up, we had to wait 2 hours because they over booked. The associate told us we could put the security deposit on hold on one card, and then charge on another card but to tell the associate when we dropped the car back off. We got our car, we had to check the car ourselves for dents and make a list of what was wrong with the car.

When we go to drop the car off, nobody was there to help us. We had to leave the keys in a box. So we call at 8 am, to tell them what happened. They said it wouldn't charge that card but check back in 24 hours. The next day, the card that wasn't supposed to get charged, got charged MORE than the security deposit that was on hold making that account negative causing the bank to charge overdraft fees. We called for FOUR days straight and my account is still negative. They said we would get refunded ALL the money plus the overdraft fees and we have YET to hear from ANYONE!!! It's getting ridiculous!!!

I picked up the car on Saturday, April 22, 2017. I was driving to my father's house in preparation for a funeral for his deceased brother, when I was pulled over by Washington Township Police. The Officer stated he had pulled me over because the license plate on the Black Chevrolet Impala that I had rented actually was registered to a Kia. At the time I did not even realize I had a Michigan plate on the rear of the vehicle.

He asked me for the vehicle registration and I went to the glove compartment to retrieve it, and the glove compartment was empty! No registration whatsoever in the car. The officer asked me if the vehicle was stolen and I replied "no, it was a rental". He then placed me in handcuffs and moved me near the squad car and began asking me about renting the car and where was the insurance for the vehicle. I explained I was using my personal insurance which I had a copy of the policy on my phone. He then searched the entire car, while I am in handcuffs.

The entire time I am crying as I am fearing going to jail and missing my uncle's funeral, for reasons I cannot understand. He asked where my uncle lives and I replied he lived in Harmony. He asked what other documentation I had to show the car wasn't stolen. I replied all I had was the rental agreement, and begged him to let me go, as all I did was rent the car.

He examined my out of state license (AZ) and saw that it matched the name on the rental agreement. He seemed ready to impound the car and take me to jail for the weekend, as nothing could be done until Monday. Through tears I begged again that I would miss my Uncle's funeral. It was not until after he saw the plate number on the rental agreement and the vehicle description of a Chevy Impala was also on the rental agreement that he began to agree my story had some validity. He finally agreed to release me and said somebody in Michigan had really screwed this up for me.

I was shaking as I finished the drive to my father's house and felt traumatized the rest of the trip. I lived in fear the entire trip that I would be pulled over every time I drove the car, and feared the next officer would not be as gracious. I drove the vehicle very little out of fear. So the entire time when I should be focusing on supporting my family for our loss, all I could think about was going to jail every time I left the house. Then after writing me I would not be charged, I was charged $229 which is almost double the charge that was on my rental agreement.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.
  • Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.
  • Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.
  • Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.
  • Best for Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Compare Rental Cars