3.8/5 (697 ratings)

About Payless Car Rental

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Bait & Switch organization. Rude and disrespectful. I arrived at the car rental desk at 1400, 2 hours late, the person who greeted me told me my reservation was cancelled because I was late and my rate of $350 for a midsized CAR was no longer valid. He offered us a different car as long as we pay $400. I don’t want bite his bait, so I made new reservation thru Priceline right then, he said he cannot honor my reservation that is the same day, even I paid 100 times reservation. The only way he will give us the car is to get his offer. I will not and never rent to this company again. 99% of customer’s review are negative. This rental place is in San Diego Car Rental and it happened Dec 21, 2022.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

I failed to remove the gas hose from a Payless Rental car and as I was backing away, the hose stretched and snapped off the plastic gas cap. The cost of a plastic gas cap is $45 and the plastic housing it attaches to is probably another $100 or so. Yet, 8 months after this happened a third-party insurance company made a claim of $3,200 and showed repairs to areas behind the gas cap and other areas that suffered no impact whatsoever. The only contact with the car was the outstretch gas hose and the only damage was the gas cap. This is such a shameless money grab that I would never rent from this company again.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

For a company that calls themselves, Payless, it is absolutely NOT true! They have so many hidden fees that they do not even tell you about. My car rental was double the amount that I selected when reserving my rental in Chicago! The customer service was poor at the counter and no explanation of all these charges, let alone I signed for something that included more than what I was told I was signing for. Now, dealing with customer service, they have the opportunity to make this right but are only acknowledging 1/4 of my charges but telling me, "Thank you for the feedback" and sympathizing with me. **! I will NEVER use them again, and you should too!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

George from the Kansas City airport Payless helped me out when Hertz failed to honor my reservation with them and I was stranded at the airport. He gave me a nice car at a good rate. It was just what I needed. Go George.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I was offered online a price that doubled one we got to the counter. I hate that they seem to bait and switch the product once you have shuttled to their location. I will never rent from this company again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

A zero rating would have been my choice. The Payless rental service in San Diego Airport is a franchise. A more appropriate name would be "PAYMORE" or "WORTHLESS". I have rented twice from this company at SAN and every time they have swindled me. The first time our flight was delayed and we arrived at the counter over an hour after the reservation time. They said they could not give the car for the reserved rate and nearly doubled the rate from 200 to over 400 dollars. Last weekend I reserved a so called "payless special." When doing the paperwork at the desk, the last thing you sign is the total price which was suddenly 30 dollars more than the rate I had reserved the vehicle for. I had a print out of the reservation with price and reservation number with me, but they would not budge. They wasted two hours of my time.

The "special" was a rundown tiny vehicle with more scratches, dents you would think were possible and a damaged windscreen. I was hesitant to rent this car but when I went back they offered me 4 similar vehicles in similar terrible shape, so I decided to take the initial one assigned. The tiny damage slip was filled completely with all the damage notations. After bringing it back 2 days later, I asked the attendant for a receipt, but he said it would be emailed to me. Had to call them a few days later to get my drop off receipt. I first called the central payless office but they said they could not help me as it is a franchise and not in their system. All in all again a horrible experience. For me never again. This Payless franchise needs to be investigated for ripping off their customers.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

It took me 2 1/2 hours to get my car. Nathan said he would give me a discount for my inconvenience. I received a car that the GPS was not working, and the car had damage inside and out. He said he would charge me $28.00 per day instead of the $43.00 per day rate to make up for the 2 1/2 hour wait. I was charged the full $43.00. I was told by Payless this is a franchise, and they could not help me.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I would go out of my way to never rent from this car company again. A group of us had to wait almost 40 minutes for a shuttle from the airport to the car rental location. Watched multiple shuttles for all the other rental companies come and go. When I finally called them, I got a very rude woman who said the shuttle would be there "any minute." It finally arrived about 15 minutes later.

The representative asked me if I was staying in the PA/NJ area, and I said yes, I was going to New Jersey. She never warned me that I would either need an EZ pass or cash for tolls. So when I was driving up to the first toll and had to make that choice, they basically left me no choice but to break the law and go through EZ pass because I didn't have cash (who has cash anymore?? lol). I was really uneasy about this and had to do it several times. It turns out they just bill my credit card, but this would have been lovely to know upfront. I doubt, had I been pulled over, that the state trooper would have been as understanding.

The actual building is nowhere near the airport--it's not even near the other off-site car rental places. And bringing the car back was concerning because I had to stop and get gas by myself and this is NOT a safe neighborhood. When I brought the car back, we had to witness the customer service rep and the shuttle driver get into it over the walkie-talkies because he was telling her he needed gas, and she told him no, he needed to take us to the airport. Now, I wanted to get to the airport quickly just like anyone else, but I was not interested in running out of gas. Luckily we made it, but the whole thing was awkward and a bit unnerving not knowing if we would make it. All in all, the worst car-rental experience I have ever had.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Purchased my car from this dealer. Had pads, calipers and rotors replaced. After 7 thousand miles they failed. Brought car back. They said same parts had to be replaced again. Charged me again and claimed they never fixed the before even though I had the receipt.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

We rented a vehicle with Payless through our American Airlines reservation. After waiting for an extensive amount of time at their counter, the vehicle they provided had dents, scratches and other blemishes across the exterior. The interior was filthy and smelled. As a result of the first wait time we were running late for our meeting, we decided to just take the vehicle and have the lot attendant note all of the issues. We asked the attendant if he had noted all of the damage and his response was "I circled the entire car" referring to the vehicle likeness on their "pink slip". Having the issues noted by their representative, we continued on with our weekend.

When we arrived at the airport car rental return the attendant's eyes widened and he looked dumbfounded, we immediately informed him we received the vehicle in this condition and showed him a copy of the pink slip reflecting the condition we had received the vehicle. He and another female attendant continued to process the vehicle, looking inside and asking us to verify we had all of our belongings and for the keys. Neither of the representatives mentioned any interior smell, we did tell them the interior was filthy when we picked it up, we were not warned or informed there could be a charge to "repair the damage" of the smelly/dirty interior. Last week we received a letter from Payless Car Rental "Customer Service" which stated they intended to charge us $450.00 for "damages".

We immediately sent an email, with all of the pictures we took at the rental car lot when we first saw the vehicle along with a copy of their "pink slip" noting the vehicle was really unfit for rental. This morning we received an email response with spelling and grammatical errors basically telling us, sorry, the charges are valid but they would offer us 25% off. You cannot make this stuff up, will never ever ever use this or another "discount" rental car company again. They also pre-charged us to fill the tank, there was no option for us to waive this and return the car full, thankfully, we read reviews of prior customers who returned the car full and were still charged, we returned the vehicle without filling the tank. That cost us a $25.00 "customer service" fee and $82.58 or 16.2 gallons, the tank's capacity, at $5.10/gallon. Thank you for the platform and ability to share our story and prevent some one else being treated the same way.

Payless Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information