1.10/5
  • 1 star
Based on 137 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 4, 2017

986 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

What a screw Job!! Prepaid $131.13 was told that it was total cost. Well $479.00 was what they charged me. One way fee 39.93. Bull crap. Dropped off same place as picked up. 11.11% fee no explanation. Gas service option. $26.45. They told me it would only be $ 1.79 a gallon v/s $2.89 at the pump. Wow not 25.46 for about 8 gallons. Counter products $100.94 no explanation. Loss damage waiver $149.94 WHAT for my insurance to cover the vehicle. I called the customer Service # 800-729-5377. Ok. The woman took my information. Said cust. care would contact me. I asked for number she said she is in Mexico and could not help me with that. Well 2 Months has gone but still no resolution!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I rented a car online through RentalCars.com, which was my first mistake. I got a car through PayLess Car Rentals. I picked up and returned the car in Ft. Myers, FL. After returning home, I got my credit card statement showing a nearly $200 over-charge for the car rental. When I called, they said I returned the car to Orlando instead of Ft. Myers and they had to fill it with gas. I returned the car to Ft. Myers and it was full of gas. I inadvertently misplaced the return paperwork. When I asked for another copy, they have promised 4 times to email it, and I NEVER GOT IT!

I have my airline ticket showing I flew out of Ft. Myers that day after returning the car there. I have a gas receipt showing I filled the car with gas. They are still making me jump through hoops to PROVE TO THEM that I returned the car to Ft. Myers!!! I've never had this kind of trouble EVER before with a car rental co. STAY AWAY FROM THEM! and their customer service dept. is totally USELESS in resolving issues!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My wife and I booked a car from Payless Car Rental out of San Diego for four days. We printed the confirmation showing the total cost would be $138.78 with unlimited mileage. When we showed up to complete the transaction, we were told that they would have to charge an additional $150.00 because we planned driving too far. What is the definition of unlimited anyway? The attendant then pulled out this funky chart showing driving rings which were definitely not unlimited mileage. Our bill went from $138.78 to $288.78 for four days. We told them we would only drive the car to the defined limit for the original price. He then threatened to charge us 35 cents per mile from the beginning of the trip if we get caught outside the limit.

By this time we were laughing at this attempt to nickel and dime us to death. We told him to cancel the rental and went next door and picked up a rental for a reasonable price. On our way out he shouted that they have the best prices and we wouldn't find one better. How utterly delusional. In my opinion, this company should be barred from doing business in the U.S.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

CONSUMERS BE AWARE! Upon return of my car the clerk checked in the car and all was good. Car was properly filled up. 2 weeks later I receive a bill for 65 dollars because the car was returned half full. I even sent my credit card statement showing I went to the gas station the day of returning the car. They have now send the balance to collection. I will never ever deal with these crocks!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

They promised a car but double the price. They gave me a car with no oil, brake fluid, electrical short in front passenger side door, pumpers put on with zip ties. Payless rents broken down cars from Budget and re-rents them at double the price. Ruined my trip in Peru.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I rented a car from Payless to leave the city right before the Hurricane hit, a couple of hours outside Houston the car stated that it needed service to return to dealership. I called the Houston at the IAH where I rented the car from and the girls said to return it in San Antonio and get another one, so I did so. Then 4 hrs before reaching my destination the new car stated the same thing, people at the Counter in El Paso were horribly rude, long story short, I was never able to make it to my vacation destination and I was without a vehicle for 2 days. None seemed interested in helping me, I was not able to get back into Houston for some time.

Customer service said that I would get credit for the days that I didn't have a car and that I would not be charged for the days that I couldn't make it into the city due to highway closures. Needless to say that Payless did not honor any of what they promised. I wasn't supposed to get charged $149, due to the days that I did not have a vehicle but they took out $307 from my acct. 3 months later they want to send me an email, “Sorry for the misunderstanding” and credited my acct $88, they owe me more than that. They pretty much kicked me while I was down, knowing the situation and all the city was going through because of the Hurricane. This is the worst company!!! BBB seriously needs to shut them down.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Payless, you SUCK big time! I will never, ever, ever do business with you or your parent company Avis Budget again as long as I live. Not only that, I will make it my mission in life to tell everyone I know how terrible a rental car company you are. In addition, I will go out of my way to post negative reviews about your sad service and awful business practices online.

I waited way too long to get my car. Yes, I think an hour-and-a half is an unreasonable wait. The rental center wasn't even busy! When I finally got my car it wasn't what I reserved. I reserved a SUV online but got a car instead. How does that happen? Slow leak in one of the tires so I called your customer service line and was told I could exchange the vehicle at an Avis location. Wrong! I got there and it wouldn't even come up on their system. I then drove 20 miles to LAX to the "Payless" car return and they told me it was a different company? WHAT? Are you freaking kidding me? Then I drove to Avis, the parent company and they said I had to take it to Burbank! What kind of idiotic rationale is that? I finally said screw it and resorted to filling the tire twice a day. My fault for not reading all of the fine print and hidden charges. Ended up paying way more than I would have with a different rental company. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have never had dealing with rental car companies before. This was my first and probably last. PATHETIC!!! I signed up for car back in Feb... Long before our trip in Oct. They quoted me price round 180 for 3 1/2 days. Now I assumed they would try and add more. First dealing with them in person at DFW was AWFUL. One gentleman at counter and like 5 people ahead of us. Can you please wait 30 minutes. Ok... Came back and then another gentleman there and the one we originally spoke to is leaving. Still 3 people ahead of us. Finally our turn after another 15 minutes. Guy tried to add this that and other and we declined all but insurance. Little did we know our insurance would of kicked in... NOW we do! There was many other things extra and we declined. Like you figure GPS should be standard... NO... NOT HERE!

Anyway went out to get car and took us 15 minutes to find it. No one there to help... Any way, shape or form. Told us when we came back to park and drop key. We did. Now several weeks later... I keep getting additional fees on my credit card. It has gone from 179 to 352. And just yesterday they added a toll fee of 12.00. WE DID NOT GO THRU ANY TOLLS!!! Come on people... WTH???? Needless to say I would never recommend PAYLESS rental car to anyone!!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I recently rented a car from Payless at DFW (through Travelocity) and indicated on my reservation (and at the counter) I did not want LDW coverage. When I returned the car on Oct 20th I was charged $24.99 a day for LDW coverage. When I returned the car I was presented the return receipt showing my bill to be around $80 more than what was indicated on my initial reservation. I stopped by the DFW Payless desk to rectify the problem but found no one available. I did notice that on my rental agreement with Payless they had added the LDW coverage. Since then I have been trying to rectify the problem with their customer service to no success. Also the car I was given was a Kia Rio, it was OK for transportation but handled poorly on curvy bumpy roads (Interstate 35). This was my first and last rental with Payless.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Prepaid for a Nissan Versa or similar from the San Diego airport location. At pick up I asked if there was anything in that tier with split fold down rear seats. That was only available in the Hyundai Accent, the bottom tier, which was fine with me. When I saw that he was trying to charge me $90 to downgrade my rental I told him "no thank you, I'll just take what I pre-paid for." I was told he wanted me to be happy and that I wouldn't be charged for an upgrade and the only additional charge was going to be the deposit that I would get back. I made sure that my card was only billed for the deposit.

Dropped off the car, no problems. When I got my credit card bill they had taken the upgrade out of the deposit. Because I didn't make him re-print the agreement showing the upgrade I wasn't actually charged for. I've been going through the dispute process with the credit card company for months. There's a reason the Better Business Bureau gave them an F rating. I think it was $5 cheaper than renting from the next counter over. It's cost me a lot more than that in time and aggravation. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Employees were rude, pushy & uninformed. Very shady. The woman at the front desk was the worst! Once we got to the car we couldn’t get an employee to come & record the damages on the filthy car. Finally, we were able to get the employee at the window in the garage to give us a refund & we went to Hertz! Payless needs to be investigated for fraudulent practices. They should be ashamed of the way they run their business.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Like almost everyone that's reviewed this company, I got scammed by this "company" in San Diego. I should have known things were going downhill when I showed up at the counter and they tried to charge me $380 though my agreement said $240. The car I rented was extremely beat and scratched up. After the rental was over the attendant checked me out with no issues. 4 days later I got a voicemail on my cellphone and they charged me $2,300 for damage they say I did but was existing. The guy that called me was extremely rude and threatened to take me to court while trying to get me to fold and involve my insurance company. After canceling my credit card I saw that they charged me the $380 we discussed was the wrong rate and another $180 for the deposit which I can't get returned. It's amazing a company this shady can exist in major airports.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Pre-paid car rental billed as Paylesscar.com returned car and later found addition payment on my credit card for an additional amount to Payless-Corporate office so credit card company wont recognize addition payment. Shady way of doing business.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It was the WORSE car rental experience at Payless Car Rental LAX! We had a reservation for a Mini Van for Sep 15, 2017 - Sep 17, 2017, but waited 1 hour and 15 minutes still didn't have a car. They were very disorganized and non-apologetic about it. Finally, we asked if they just didn't have the car couldn't they give us the large SUV parked there the whole time? They agreed. Well if we didn't ask probably will still be there waiting. By the time we left the place we were there for nearly 2 hours.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I used Expedia to secure a rental car at the Los Angeles airport. The wait was long for picking up the car and the staff worked VERY slowly. I had called the corporate number to find out the cost of a navigation system ($39.95) but at the LAX location they were going to charge me $59.00. I finally got the corporate price after waiting for a manager. Upon returning the car, I asked for a receipt and was told it would be e-mailed. That did not happen. I had to issue an on-line request and it took 3 days to get the receipt only to find out that I have been charged $40.79 for pre-paid fuel when I returned the car with a full tank of gas. The car was damaged (from right quarter panel) and at first no notation was made until I said I wanted something in writing. I should have read the reviews before using this company.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I rented a car from Payless Car Rental in Sacramento, CA on July 24, 2017 and returned it July 28, 2017. It has been almost 2 months and I receive a phone call today on September 19, 2017 about damage done to the car. First of all I waited 30 min for someone to come help me turn it in and sign off on papers. I eventually had to leave to catch my flight so I did a walk around car and looked one last time knowing there was no damage and again saw no damage. I brought it back like I got it, and left after leaving keys in seat and papers they left me to know who rented the car. Now almost 2 months later, they want me to produce pictures of car to show I dropped it off without damage. First of all if I took pictures, I would not have kept them a month. If damage was done to the car, they should have notified me the day it was turned in and not this far out. At this point I have thrown away my rental papers. I mean 2 months later.

So I was told I did not get on my hands and knees and look under the front bumper. I did not do that when I got the car and didn't do that when I left it. So then they say the mileage matches when you turned in the car meaning, they are just looking at paperwork and the mileage on the car over a month ago says it was my damage done to the car. There were many cars ahead of me and people waited as long as they could until they had to leave for the bus to make it to the airport. How do they know if the car was indeed damaged at that mileage, that their attendant didn't do it since it was the "front bumper?" They were so far behind and being in a hurry... Just thinking about how could it have happened because it did not happen when I had the car. I was not in a big city. The car was kept in an open airfield around nothing else the 5 days I had it. I was skydiving and I know it was not damaged at all.

This has to be a scam. Do not rent from these people. I have rented cars all over the country and never tried this cheaper company until now and this happens. Now I am being threatened to send all my info to collections when I told them to speak to my lawyer. So their intent is to ruin your credit next. I knew I should have stayed with better companies like Enterprise, Hertz, Avis and Dollar Rent A Car. Beware of their hidden agendas. Now that I have done some research and called the Better Business Bureau, I see that I am not the only one who this has happened to. Stay away or you will be next on their list as a way of making money. Also, never walk away from a car without taking pictures above and below on the vehicle. Then keep 6 months out especially if you use Payless Car Rental. So disappointed in their actions. Being threatened by them is not acceptable.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

If you use Payless in Cancun, be ready because they are going to rob you. This people pick you up at the airport and take you miles from the airport. I bought car insurance before so all I had to was to pick up the car and go but I got to the location and I was told in a very offensive way that the insurance that I bought was not enough. Today I called the insurance company and they told me that scams like this happen all the time. Like I was saying, this big guy talk to me like I was nothing and he said, “Well either you buy our insurance that is 6000+ peso (around $350 dollars) or if you want to use your insurance, you have to leave me a deposit of $27,000 dollars,” and I said, “If I had $27,000 to spend I wouldn't talking to you” and he said, “Whatever.”

I felt my blood go to my feet. I had a lot of family members with me, little kids and older people. I didn't know what to do, it took me 12 hours to get to Cancun. I was tired, my family was tired. I told this horrible person that I wasn't going to take that, that I wanted to go to the airport. He said, “So? You can find a taxi outside.” I flew from San Francisco that is to so I wasn't ready for the heat of Cancun, so my family and I were cooking in the sun, finally found a taxi to the airport and got a van. So if you like my experience and you want one like me, don't forget to rent a car from Payless Car Rental.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I rented a car from them for 4 days. After paying for the car, I was given the keys and told where my car was. No car checking procedures, no sheet to mark down any previous damages. Bring the car back after 4 days and check it in. Guy takes the number from the keys, puts it in a computer, and then tells me, "We're all good. Have a nice day." 4 days later I get two charges totaling 1900.00 USD. DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS!!! FRAUD COMPANY!!! THESE COOKS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OPERATE IN THE USA!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Long line as reservation counter only one agent working. Not friendly at all. I was told would have to wait as cars were just coming in & needed to be washed. Also noticed a $12 a day charge for my husband to drive the car. Didn't mentioned that anywhere on the reservation site. Went downstairs to another unfriendly agent & waited for the vehicle. Had to walk back and forth to check the vehicle for damage & get it signed off. Vehicle was new but didn't have a lot of the upgrades I've seen in other rentals. I understand they do this to keep rental costs down but they could at least have friendly staff & better customer service. My total was $12 more than originally quoted.

Called to see about keeping the car an additional 2 days. The price was double the original daily price & included an additional $10 charge for changing the reservation. I asked the agent about the cost difference. He said he could give me the amounts & I can calculate them myself. I returned the vehicle & rented another one from a different company for much cheaper. Will not do business with Payless again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have rented from this company twice in the past year and both times they overcharged me beyond the agreed upon rate. It was corrected after I pointed it out, but had I not carefully checked the bill, I might have missed it. Never renting from Payless again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Payless car atSan Diego airport - Service at the counter was fine. The problem was the car was very old and - windows were manual with handle cranks, door locks were manual. You could only lock each door separately. That was impossible from the driver's seat. Several dings on the rear of the car which I had to point out to the person checking out the car. Mileage was over 13,000 miles. I felt I was renting a "rent-a-wreck"!

When I told the Payless person when returning the car all he told me was "We rent cars cheap." Payless you do but you don't let your customers know that. I will never rent from your company again. Tell us up front that we are getting a below rental car standards car. That may help us to go somewhere else the first time. Also the bill I paid was $17.91 more than CarRental.com quoted me. The difference seemed to be you added more taxes than they showed. Not good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Rented a midsize sub, was handed a small tiny one and told it's a midsize, my 3 year old found a beer can open with beer in the back which he poured all over himself. Manager and associates we're very rude. Did not want to offer any help. Do not go here, they are the worst of the worst.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Rented a car from Payless at the airport in Sarasota, FL. We had reserved the car online and was told the cost would be $356. When we picked up the car the guy at the counter said we were both required to initial and sign the document. What he had us sign was a form saying that we would both be drivers which allowed them to charge us an extra $200. They are a bait and switch organization and cannot be trusted. DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Traveling to Dallas to be with my son after a motorcycle accident and upcoming surgery. After booking flight on Expedia, I called to find the least expensive car rental and booked a small SUV at Payless for $316 for 5 days. Upon arrival in DFW, I was told they had no SUV and would I take a compact car... I said as long as it's the same price. She took my credit card and handed me a bill to sign for $446.00. I was told the amount was administrative fees! Tired and unable to leave airport without a car, I took it. The first thing I noticed is it smelled of urine. After arriving at my son's home, I immediately called Expedia who tried calling Payless and returned to tell me they advised him that they charged me $316 and offered no assistance.

I then called Payless at DFW myself and a gentleman informed me that customer service would call me within 2 hours... and I was forced to call them again. After getting no help on second attempt, my daughter in law, son and 3 grandkids proceeded to take the car back to rental location. There was no one at counter for at least 15 minutes and finally 2 employees appeared. I explained I did not want to continue this rental as it was overpriced and smells. She then hands me a receipt for over $300! Obviously I complained and she walks off for another half hour... I asked her coworker where she was and he said talking to the manager.

Finally she returns, says nothing and hands me another receipt for $150! I was told it was because I did not keep car for minimum amount of time and I did after all drive it off the lot! I asked to speak to the manager and was told that she was getting ready to leave. This darling girl then proceeds to remove the gas charge from the bill since I did bring the tank back full of gas. The next day I rented from Enterprise for the remainder of my trip for $138. All that I can say is for heaven's sake, do not for any reason rent from this company!

Original review: July 26, 2017

I made an online reservation 3 days in advance to secure the car needed for my business trip in Atlanta, Georgia coming from Los Angeles. Once I arrived at the Atlanta airport and to retrieve the car I reserved, which is an SUV, to my surprise, the vehicle was not available and was already given to another customer. In short, the reserved car is not there. The Employee in the name of Samantha was so rude that threaten to CANCEL THE RESERVATION. I said that there is no point to cancel since the car that I reserved is not available.

To get things complicated, they gave me a Sedan car, which has lower daily rent charge and did not bother to give me the discount for the difference. I was forced to take the small car out of necessity since I will be late for my business appointment. This employees has no customer service skills and rude. This company is not trustworthy. In short, this company will do a "BAIT & SWITCH" to lure prospective customer. What is the point of making a reservation when they don't honor it. I even ask for a discount but they made a silly excuse that their computer is down. I got charge for an SUV rate of $49.97/day rate that I reserved for 4 days when the car they gave me, a KIA car has only $24.12/day rate. This is what you called a HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS CAR RENTAL COMPANY.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I had to make a trip to Florida for a family emergency. I had reserved a car at Payless in the airport. The agent asked me if I wanted insurance and I declined. Between my personal auto policy and credit card I have that covered. He then asked me to initial several places and sign which I did without reading the agreement. (Lesson learned). I was distracted and in a rush and never even looked at the agreement until 2 days later when I called to extend my rental due to my family member still being hospitalized. That is when I noted I was charged $24.99 a day for insurance even though I had verbally declined it.

Not knowing how much longer I would need the car, I decided to drive the 60 miles each way to return the car and rent from another company. I went to the Payless counter to dispute the charge. I was told I had to call the 800 number to handle that. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was not one on site and I had to call the number. I did call the number and was told that could only be handled at the Payless counter where I rented the car! I rented another car from Budget and it was so easy and I was not scammed into buying insurance I did not want. Yes, I will read a rental agreement closer in the future.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I called to verify I would be able to pick up car late at night as my flight had been delayed several hours. I was told yes but I would be charged over 30% more. When I went online to change the time it showed my reservation had been canceled. When I called Payless I was told the only thing they could do is make a new res. for even more $. Adding insult to injury I could barely hear the foreign employees.

Original review: July 19, 2017

We rented a car for our family vacation. Never received a confirmation email as promised but instead an email wanting us to purchase additional insurance. We have full coverage so we refused. We even showed them our insurance card at the desk. My husband wanted to pay cash for the car but they wouldn't accept that because then they can't screw you out of money later. I had to pay with my debit card so then they charged us for an additional driver since both of our names weren't on the card. I was not in on the previous conversation and was told to sign to authorize my card. My signature authorized insurance that we had refused and an additional driver that we did not need. They debited my account for $483 instead of $265. BEWARE!!! RIPOFF ARTISTS!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I rented a minivan for my family trip to D.C. and used Priceline for the reservation due to the decent price of the minivan they had available, and let me say that I wish I never rented from Payless. The first two days of the trip was good until the third day, while traveling on the interstate a small foreign object fell from under the vehicle in front of me and hit my windshield which left a small crack. I when I brought the rental car back no one was at the counter where I could ask any questions about the damage to the windshield. I asked the agent that was behind the Avis counter and she told me that she was out to lunch and didn't know when she would be back (you would think she would have an another person to take her place while she was out to lunch).

I tried on numerous occasions to speak with someone at customer service number and every time he refuses to discuss the issue or questions I have and tell me to complete an online complaint form, which still I don't get an answer to the question I am asking. When I asked to speak to a manager to help me with this he hung up on me. You have by far the worst customer service for a company I have ever experienced, and by reading other reviews of this company on Yelp I see why my customer service experience was awful.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had the worst Hertz customer service experience that I needed to return their car to another location instead of extending the car rental. So I was said to return the car to San Jose Airport or else the car will be reported as a stolen car. I arrived at San Jose airport gave the car back to Hertz. Now I was stuck at San Jose, California and needed to go back home at Reno, Nevada.

I was so desperate to go home, so I checked every car rental company at San Jose, California looking for the cheapest and the best car that I can have for one way going to Reno, Nevada. I went to "PAYLESS" Car Rental and their agent named Humberto was trying to get me a car and so eager to send me back to my place, Reno. He gave me the best deal out of all the car rental company in San Jose Airport. I am so so blessed that I met this guy and this company. They're the reason why right now, I am sitting here in my couch in my room at Reno, NV. Thanks guys, thanks Humberto from Payless San Jose Airport. Cheers!

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information