1.01/5
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1034 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

San Diego Airport Rental is terrible - I rented a car through HOTWIRE for 32 dollars a day with Payless. When I get to the desk, the sales employee tells me this car is too small for me and my 2 children. He tells me I need to upgrade and basically tells me the cost would be 550 dollars for 6 days... that's 91 dollars a day. I ask him if that is with the military discount, he then states it would be 492 dollars total. The car was a terrible car and I did not feel safe in it with my 2 children. I was charged all these additional fees and cost of this rental was more than my whole trip. I tried to call to complain but customer service just blew me off. I feel stupid for not looking into this company before I went ahead with the car rental. Worst experience I ever had with a car rental company and I will never rent from them again and I will tell the world not to either.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Never ever rent from these liars. I did not agree to their insurance and they checked that box. They are criminals. No one ever ever cares to do the right thing. If they end up doing the right thing for me I will retract this. I highly doubt it. I will never rent a car from MCO Orlando Airport again!

Payless Car Rental Reviews: What To Know | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

I reserved a car online with Orbitz for an economy car from Payless for my wife. A nine day rental. The quote was $199 with all state and local taxes included. When she arrived they told her there was a $209.81 deposit. Quite an odd number for a deposit. Stupid, but understandable - we expected a deposit. She specifically asked for no added extras and declined their insurance. Because she declined their insurance, she was charged $99 for declining their insurance. Why should we have to pay for insurance when our own insurance covers rental cars? There were a total of 10 "other charges" that totaled $260.53 add that to the $199.28 that was the actual cost of the car rental and the total was $459.81 before adding the $209.81 for the deposit. So the total at the time she rented the car was $669.62. We were told $199.28 was due at time of rental. In reality, it was more than three times that.

Payless Car Rental at the San Diego Airport - My wife complained about the deposit and she was told they wouldn't charge her the deposit. On the day of rental, our account was charged $209.81 (deposit fee) and another charge for $250. The next day the $209.81 charge was no longer pending (it had been processed) and the $250 had dropped off our account. On July 12th, 2018, 4 days after she returned the car, they again charged the $250 that had originally been charged but then dropped from our account.

My biggest issue is:
$99 for declining their Collision Insurance - Seems like that should be illegal!
$9 vehicle license fee
26.55 RSA fee - wanted to decline roadside assistance but was told it's mandatory
$3.95 for using a debit card (that could have been charged as a credit card)

$37.08 Airport concession fee

There are other smaller charges as well. I don't blame Orbitz - although I will never rent a car through them again. Now, after researching Payless, I blame myself. I should have done my research ahead of time. Based on what I have found since researching Payless, they have a long history of making people pay all the additional charges. In fact, it seems that is how they make their living. Their profit doesn't come from renting cars, it comes from all the extra fees they either tell you are mandatory or they slip in hoping you don't notice. I suspect other car rental services do the same stuff. But it should be illegal to be given a quote when you rent a car that says "Amount due at time of rental: $199.28" When in reality you are going to walk out of there paying $500.

My advice is to stay away from Payless (part of AVIS) and do your research before you rent a car. The economy car she was given was in bad shape and as base of a model as you could get. No power windows or power anything. Just a car that had a sputtering engine. Please do your research so we can stop making these companies rich because they feel they can get away with it.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Rented two full size SUVs on June 23, 2018. Arrived on time to proceed with rental. Was told that my four passengers each carrying a medium size bag would not fit into a Hyundai Santa Fe, which by their definition, was the "full size" SUV that I had reserved. This claim was repeated for the second SUV with 4 passengers and similar size luggage. I had reserved each car for $500 for 7 days, or $1000 total.

Agent: "BUT, we can put you in a real full size SUV Ford or Chevy for $2000 more." Me: But that is a total of $3000 versus the $1000 I reserved!!! Agent: "Yes, but you will not fit into a Hyundai Santa Fe. We have had rush on SUV rentals in Denver and all rental car companies are sold out. So this is your only option. Do you want it or not?" The agent brought his manager over and he too said this was our only option. THIS IS A SCAM. We made a different arrangement. When we left Payless, we saw hundreds of rental cars at other rental car company lots at DIA.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I rented a car from the Baltimore airport location in May. It was a 3 day rental, the car sucked but who cares, it was cheap. $158.00 was the cost for 3 days and the $158 was charged to my credit card the day I got home. Fast forward nearly two months and they hit my credit card for 901 yesterday. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. The only explanation I can get is that I ran a toll (I did do that because I forgot it was there and didn’t have cash). I told the woman at the counter that I ran the toll. She told me not to worry about it that they would just bill me for whatever the toll amount wise. The toll was $10, NOT 900!!! The person I spoke with yesterday was quite rude and told me there is nothing further he can do for me. I have no idea what kind of war I am going to have to wage with them to get my money back, but I have never had this issue with Enterprise. I guess you get what you pay for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: July 5, 2018

I never write a review but if this saves anyone from the grief of what I have experienced it's worth it. First of all the economy car rental is a piece of garbage. It has no power anything, and was so archaic I had to get an upgrade. I originally needed the car for 3 days but ended up only needing it for 1 day. I brought it back and explained to them just that and that I also needed to be credited back for the gas I prepaid for. The women was extremely rude and asked me if I had a receipt for the gas I filled the car up with. I said no. I didn't know I needed to bring a receipt in. I thought you just could look at the gas gauge. She told me to calm down. I asked if I could get a receipt for the final charges and she told me it would be emailed to me. Well she never credited me back for the two additional days.

I had to call customer service who then tells you they have to open a ticket for someone else to help you. They would contact me via email. I then get an email highlighting my gas credit. Like that was solving the problem... I ended up calling my credit card and stopping all payment to them. This is the WORST car rental experience I have ever had. Customer service sucks and so do their cars. Some guy picked up his rental car and the tire was flat. They told him they would air it up for him! He said no and wanted a new car. I then witnessed them airing up the tire and putting it back in line to be rented. Unbelievable!! STAY AWAY.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I went to Arizona to visit my mother, flew on American Airlines and got a rental car, at the advice of the airlines website, from Payless. Worst mistake ever. I waited for 45 minutes because both people in front of me had issues. I should have left, but I didn't. They wouldn't let me use my debit card and then charged my actual credit card $500.00. WTF. The car didn't run very well and had a very hard time on the mountains I had to drive through. The set up of the rental car place I don't know is Payless' fault, but I find going into a parking garage and just getting in an unlocked vehicle a little sketchy. Anyways, the 45 min wait was stupid and the $500.00 charged to my credit card is the reason I will never rent from Payless again. The other places cost more because they suck less. Facts folks.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Car rental MCO Orlando Airport June 9-18 2018: I was overcharged claiming I checked the "box" for the DLW damage loss waiver. Total lie. I rent cars all the time, I never check that box! Payless is a joke. Watch your credit card statements. I will never rent from Payless again... unless they fix this. If they fix it, I will let you know! Criminals. Channel 13 Orlando has been notified!

Original review: June 29, 2018

SLC Airport Car Rental - Took 50 minutes to help one family in front of us rent a car. Then 15 minutes for them to look up my reservation and let me pay. Slow, and rude, they couldn't have worked slower if they tried and made it clear that they didn't care about the customer. Just as we finally got help, after 50 minutes of waiting at the front of the line, a blonde woman showed up to join the two lazy men who were already working and instead of hopping on her computer to help move the line, she stopped to chat with lazy guy number one at his computer, making him pause helping us to chat about their weekend. Rude AF. Will never rent from Avis or Payless again. Have only boycotted two places in my life, this makes three. Unforgettable experience, I have gotten my drivers license in a California DMV faster than the Utah Payless desk could run a card payment. Plane lands 9:10, bags collected by 9:25, car rented by 10:50! What!?! Wow. Just wow.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Listen everyone! I rented a car in Dec 2017 through Travelocity in Guadalajara, Mexico (will full insurance through Travelocity) & I had the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! I called 2 times before to make sure my rental care was there & Payless confirmed but when I got there, the staff named LUCIO ** was mad that no one told him because he only had one car left. We even had to walk miles in the middle of the night because their office inside the airport was closed... Really? Anyways, he didn't have a copy machine to make copies of the agreement form & LIED to me saying for only $50, I would get additional car insurance so I said okay. He asked for me to sign saying the car is fine WITHOUT seeing it but luckily, my boyfriend realized what was going on & said no until we see it first. When we dropped off the rental car, he told me he charged me $450 extra so I didn't sign the receipt but they still charged it on my credit card! WHAT?

I asked to speak to his manager named JOSE ** & he wasn't there so he called him over the phone & when I explained it to the manager that I didn't agree to pay that much, he said, "Oh well." No one spoke English! Payless told me someone had to speak English & have the contract form in English! I have been calling Payless for the last 6 months (maybe 25 times already) & every single staff does not know who I can speak with. I have even been asked to email documents/proof and no one has emailed me back. I am sick & tired of being ignored. I have been manipulated! This is not fair & affecting me emotionally and mentally. So much anxiety, anger, sadness, & hate. Do not rent from them! EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU WILL SAVE MONEY COMPARED TO OTHER RENTAL COMPANIES, DO NOT DO IT! I called Travelocity and they took all of my information, recorded my testimony, but NEVER called me back! No support!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Location: Denver CO Airport. Worst rental experience ever. When we checked in the associate told us that we deserved an upgrade, of course he DID NOT mention that he would be charging us for it, just initial here, here, and sign here. Long story short, our $246 rental turned into a $466 rental. Already filed a BBB report and now I'm off to leave reviews over every possible platform. This company is the worst.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Orlando Florida MCO Airport ---I am currently on vacation but I'm so disgusted with the company I have to leave a review and aid in warning people before you use this company. I booked a rental for June 7th in advance on Expedia. I paid in advance for Collision Damage $50. Expedia let me know that $85 will be due at counter.

Upon approaching the counter, I notice there was a line for Hertz, Enterprise, etc...but no one waiting in line for PAYLESS. Smh. This should have been a warning. Once I approached the counter, the lady ask for my credit card and ID. But before the little lady explained what I was paying for, she quickly swiped my card. Once I reviewed my receipt, I let her know that the charges were not ok and she should go ahead and cancel the whole transaction which she did. Now there is a hold on my card which they say should lift by Monday June 11, 2018.

After reading these reviews I am happy that decided not to take any of their ** vehicles. I would be in a worse situation than I am now. They are still holding my money. I call to speak to a supervisor and OLIVER [a PAYLESS representative] hung up on me. Smh. They are liars and scammers. Do not waste your money here!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I reserved a car through the Payless website for a trip to Breckenridge from 4/20-4/27. When I reserved my car to Breckenridge for the week this is the email I received back showing a reserved car for a Toyota Corolla or similar (STANDARD/INTERMEDIATE CAR) Booking Reference Number: ** - Confirmation no. **. When we arrived at the airport location to pick up the car (Toyota Corolla or similar) I was informed by the agent that they did not have the car that was reserved on my reservation and that they would need to put me into another car.

I was asked by the agent where I was going and I stated that we were headed to Breckenridge for the week and he said "Oh that will be fun but it looks like you will get snow after 1 am but you should be ok with the car I am giving you." Not once did he ask me to upgrade the car he was giving us for the week. After I paid for the car, we walked out to the lot to the spot C79 and the similar car that I had reserved was not a Toyota Corolla, but a Dodge Caravan Minivan from Texas. Not liking the choice I was presented with, but knowing that we had another hour or so drive to Breckenridge, I took the minivan as the car I was given by the agent.

As we left the airport, it was raining and about 30 minutes into our drive to Breckenridge through the mountains, the rain changed to sleet and snow. We were fine up until the Eisenhower pass at the top of the mountain. As we exited the Eisenhower tunnel, there was about 2 inches of snow and ice on the backside of the mountain. At this point and over the next 6 miles down a 7% grade decline down the mountain was the most stressful, God awful, and terrifying ordeal I have been through.

Not more than 50 feet after exiting the tunnel, I slowed speed down to 3 miles per hour and immediately started sliding down the highway at 3 miles per hour. It took us over 2 hours to get down the backside of the mountain. The entire time sliding on the snow at 3 miles per hour. The back end of the minivan from Texas was fishtailing every time I stepped on the brakes AT 3 MILES PER HOUR. By the time we reached the bottom of the 1st mountain hill I was having a panic attack and couldn't breathe as for 2 hours I honestly thought we were going to die, and for a person who had heart surgery, this was not a great way to start off my vacation. I had to park at the bottom of the pass for 20 minutes to try and calm down in order to proceed towards Breckenridge.

Once we finally got a bit of traction from having pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway we slowly made it past Dillon at 10 miles per hour, and this is when all hell broke loose. We just passed the Dillon exit and started up the hill towards the Breckenridge exit when the tires on the Minivan from Texas started spinning and we could not go anywhere on the highway. At this point all I heard was a loud blaring horn coming from behind us, looked up in my rearview mirror, and was almost killed by a semi truck that literally missed us by no more than 6 inches because we could not get any traction with the minivan that was provided to us by Payless and ended up spun out behind other vehicles that were on the highway.

At this point my heart was pounding so much I almost passed out knowing we were almost killed at the start of our vacation. No more than 3 minutes later a tow truck came along and asked us if we were ok. I could barely speak as I was so scared, and so Gilbert from Dillon Towing and Recovery asked us if it was a rental car and we said yes. He pulled in front of us, loaded us up on his tow truck and towed us the next 5 miles to the parking lot of 7-11 in Frisco. He looked at the minivan and said "I cannot believe the car rental company would give you a minivan from Texas that has No Snow or No Mud tires and not even a set of tires chains and send you out on the road with this."

The tow fee was $220 and he also stated that if the police would have got to us first it would have been a $400 ticket for not having the proper tires on the vehicle PLUS the $220 tow fee. I called the manager and tried to explain everything that happened and instead of any good customer service she argued with me for 15 minutes on the phone stating that I was incorrect, it didn't happen, and that all of her employees are persuaded to ask the customer to do an upgrade on the vehicle when checking out. So after a bad experience starting off the vacation, a bad experience with the manager, I finally called the 800# on my form and started this process. They have refused to reimburse me the $220 towage fee and insist they did nothing wrong.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I rented a car on behalf of my son who was traveling only with a debit card. I called Payless before my son reached his designation, in speaking with the customer service representative she assured me that he could rent the car with a debit card that there would be a 200.00 hold on the card. When he got to El Paso it was a totally different story. He ended up having to rent from another rental company and because it was a last minute rental the cost was double. I will never rent nor recommend Payless to anyone!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was traveling to Atlanta and reserved a car online, opted for a Hyundai Accent or similar, for the 7 days and I received a quote of 205.00. Cool, can’t beat that! Arrived in Atlanta and the agent asked did I want to upgrade, my reply no! I already had an insurance plan that I also purchased online, so I didn’t need their insurance. He mentioned that I take the fuel option, but if I bring it back full I would not be charged. To make a long story short! I returned the car on full. When I received my final bill it was 384.38! I was charged for an upgrade, but I drove away in the Hyundai Accent, I was charged for insurance, fuel and a few other things I never requested. After contacting them I am receiving emails that say they cannot refund any money. So I’m constantly going back and forth with them! Finally notified my bank to dispute the charge and looking for a class action lawsuit claim against them!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Worst ever. I flew to Baltimore to receive cancer treatment at National Institute of Health on 4/1. Rented a car that was disgusting & unbeknownst to me had expired registration. I found out when I drove on government property for treatment & was ticketed. They refused to adjust charges. Said, “Well you did drive it.” After calling corporate they finally comped the rental & then last week found they illegally charged my cc for their ticket for no registration & a $75 administration fee. As if their office deserves a tip of $75 when they can’t even handle their business affairs & register their car. This one was expired almost a year & corporate informed me that Baltimore airport location had 6 cars that were not suppose to go out due to expired registration and every one of them was sent out with customers.

Now I’m in the middle of a serious cancer battle which is stage 4 terminal & have to deal with a dispute with them & cc company as if I’m not dealing with enough & even worse they sent me a 5 page letter with one requesting signature to charge card & they already charged it on 5/17. Also sent copy of ticket in their name & tag number on ticket didn’t match one on contract. I highly recommend nobody do business with them & I also just read they are under investigation with BBB for receiving over 800 complaints & that news was just issued 5/27. They are rude, thieves & need to be shut down. How do they rent an illegal car and not only expect customer to cover the charge but paid ticket late & also put late charge for their ticket on my cc. I’m Single mom fighting for my life against terminal cancer now have to waste energy. I don’t have to fight to get my money back that I need for my 16k a month treatment. Total ** rental company.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We booked a rental for a mid sized car online two days in advance for pick up at the Atlanta airport on May 16, 2018 at 9:00 pm. Upon arriving the only vehicle available was a Grand Cherokee Jeep so we were told at the counter but when we went downstairs to get the car the attendant said that it wasn't available due to some sort of recall (she didn't know why). So upon going back upstairs to the counter the person said that she had rented the only two remaining vehicles left. I asked why the counter sales person wasn't notified and got no answer. So I cancelled the entire reservation and went to a competitor to arrange a car. I would Never use Payless again due to their incompetency (at least in Atlanta Ga).

Original review: May 22, 2018

I reserved a car in Phoenix online through American Airlines Partners program; it looked like a great deal. However, when I got to the counter, they said they didn't have the reserved car, that I'd need to upgrade. I replied that other car companies gave me a different class car at contracted rate, if they failed to have the car I'd reserved. The guy at the counter proceeded to try to browbeat me into taking a different car at an additional $200 cost. I refused to go along with the scam and of course had to spend the extra time to find another car, and without a reservation. NEVER again will I rent from this company. I believe their practices are dishonest, if not illegal.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When we arrived at the airport we discovered they don't have their own counter at the car rental center, turns out you have to call phone number (that we were given by a DIFFERENT rental service because Payless did not provide us with the number) to have them come pick you up. We, along with other travelers, called over and over and no one even answered the phone. Finally, after over a hour later we were picked up and brought to the actual Payless rental center off site.

When we returned the car to the rental center a man came out and told us they were CLOSED and we had to return the car to the airport...we could have missed our plane home. 6 weeks after this I receive and bill for a $50.00 fee from Payless for incurring a red-light ticket in Chicago. I can't even prove that I actually got this ticket from the city of Chicago, I have received nothing from the city. The website this notice from Payless directs me to pay this alleged fee appears to be fraudulent.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Plane arrived at 11:00pm. Payless was suppose to stay open until 2:00am. They were nowhere to be found. Left me stranded at the airport at that time of night. Had to get a car from someone else. Should have done that in the first place. Never again will I do business with them!!!

Original review: May 10, 2018

I reserved a car at the ONT Cal location as the price was less than half of anywhere else. Then I decided to check reviews. I saw all of the terrible reviews and started getting real nervous. I could not cancel as I had prepaid with a debit card, so I was stuck. I arrived to pick-up and everything actually went ok. Now 2-weeks later I am not happy. Going through my bank account and see a random $39.46 charge from Payless. No e-mail, nothing! I called, just to be told she has to send a request for someone to look into it. WTF! That is unacceptable!

I called yesterday to ask when I was getting my $100 deposit back and they said I need to allow 14 days. When I asked if he would check to make sure it has been initiated, he was rude and said, "No. You have to wait 14 days." I see where this is going. So now I am waiting for some other CS rep to contact me about the unauthorized charge on my acct. DO NOT rent from them, not worth the hassle. I truly believe they make random charges thinking you won't notice, then when you call they pass you off to someone else.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Was quoted $211.99 for a car. When we arrived at Orlando Airport we went to the car rental company and was offered an upgrade for $6.00 per day, we declined...the clerk printed out the paperwork with the upgrade and we told him we weren't paying for it. He tore up the contract and said "I'll tell you what, I'll give you the upgrade and won't charge you for it." We then inquired about insurance...he informed us we needed to purchase it because Florida's accident rate was only second to New York. So when we saw the new printed out contract we were told initials, initials, initials, and sign here. Not having my glasses and feeling bullied by this Rep, I signed just to get out of the presence of this rude individual. I figured I'd deal with another person when I called to straighten this matter out.

When I called to open a ticket (as they called it) I spoke to a rep that spoke broken English...told them of our problem...I was told that I would get an email within 72 hrs. (yeah right) After not hearing from them I called in 72 hours. My email I gave them was nowhere close to the email they were trying to send it to. So much for speaking to a person who is fluent in the English language. Again I asked to reopen my ticket and have it reviewed. The charge at the counter was to be $446.46, when I checked my bank account they were trying to deduct $528.47. So I added this to my "open ticket". Long story short...my request for a car at the quoted price of $211.99 was refused because I initialed and sign the document. Biggest group of legal thieves I have ever dealt with in my 64 years here on earth. Stay away from this company, they do not live up to their name.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Do not rent a car from Payless. They have lousy customer service and unfair hidden "intent" in "contract". I was asked at MN Airport how long I "might" need the car. I was in town for a funeral, a brief family visit and minor personal business. I didn't know how long I would need the car, but estimated 3 days. I returned the car in less than 48 hours, but they charged me for 3 days anyway, so they stole $48 + taxes from me. I tried 4 times to resolve this with Payless customer service, and asked that they refer this unfair over-charge to a supervisor/manager for resolution, but the low-level rep kept claiming I had "broken the contract"... which I did not - I estimated the days I might use the car... they turned my estimate into a "contract". I never got through to a manager. Do not use Payless.

Original review: April 18, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS! We rented a car at Denver airport, midsize for $201 only to be charged on our credit card for $455. The car was in poor condition, there were duct tape marks on the driver's and passenger’s door looking like the doors had been duct taped closed at some time! When we picked up the car, the agent asked us if we wanted the insurance, we said no we do not, like we always do and she said okay, initial here and pointed to where we should decline.

My husband just initialed where she told him to, but unbeknownst to him she pointed to accepting the insurance and he initialed it and signed the contract. When we called them they were very rude and kept repeating “clearly you accepted the insurance and signed the contract.” Now I get it, our bad for not looking closely at the spot he initialed, but EVERY time we rent a car we decline insurance, initial where they tell us and a charged what we rented tow car for with no surprises. We feel like we were scammed especially reading reviews saying the same thing, being overcharged and ripped off. They are a horrible company and should be reported to the Better Business Bureau! Never never never again!

Original review: April 16, 2018

My wife had to make a quick trip to California to take care of her sister that had emergency surgery. Booked a vehicle with Payless for $198 for five days. When she got there they told her she needed to buy the insurance which made the bill $598 for five days. I contacted them and politely said too bad. Wish I would have checked this site. I never would have booked with them. My opinion they could care less about customers coming back. They just want to get all they can any way they can the first time.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Only giving one star because sadly 0 stars is not an option. Let's begin the story of this horrible experience. First I arrived at Newark International after having done a reservation online only to be told my reservation could not be found but of course my credit card had already been charged online. I had to sit on the side and let my credit card company know there would be a second charge from the same location but to cancel the first one. Then when we finally get back to the counter the lady who was there was very sweet and willing to help but of course even that was too good to be true at this point. She goes on to explain that they cannot honor the rate I had already reserved and paid online even though I had all the information in an email because she simply couldn’t find it on her end.

From $130 that I had paid online she tells me the most affordable rate she could give me being the situation was $270. Mind you the $130 I had paid online was with insurance, the $270 was not including anything. I asked how much the insurance would be. She laughs and says $340. That was more than the rental itself! Umm no. I told her I had full coverage insurance of my own which I would use for the vehicle itself but to put an insurance for the tires because well we were in New Jersey/New York and our tax dollars are obviously not going to fixing the potholes. She went on to tell me that the $270 did include a $500 tire and rim protection. Well perfect I thought. After about 2 hours into this mess we are finally given the keys. Mind you I had a two year old and one year old with me. After loading the car with all of our stuff we go to pull off and it starts drizzling.

We turn on the wipers and the blade flies off the car. We turn back to the counter inform them and we are given another car. We inspect it, then load and finally we’re on our way. When its time to return the rental you go in thru a different entrance. There is a pothole about the size of Texas. This thing was huge. Almost 3 feet wide and about 6 inches deep. With a pothole this size right on the exit to return the car it's a little unavoidable to hit. Of course we go into the damn pothole. One of the Tires flies into the air and we are on 3 tires. Get out the car to find the tire had obviously popped and the tire cover, not a rim, the tire cover, had obviously bent beyond recognition. Find a spare in the trunk, replace it and we are off to return the rental from hell. Go inside and try to explain to the lady at the counter what had happened so I can do a damage report.

She checks my rental agreement and says “no need for a report, you have the tire and rim protection. You’re covered “. Takes my paperwork and I’m done. Soooo I thought. Get back home to Florida and a week later I receive a bill from the corporate office informing me that in 7 days from the mailing date they would be charging my credit card $317 for the tire and Rim damage. First of all there was no Rim on the vehicle. And with that being said I have never paid $300 for a tire. I called more than 30 times explained, that I had the Tire and Rim protection that this charge was not fair. The response I received via email because I was never able to speak to a real person was “we understand that an unexpected charge to one's credit card can be frustrating but since we ensure our vehicles are safe and up to safety standards. We believe the charge is in fact justified so we will still be charging your credit card for the amount of $317."

I called 100 more times. Waited on hold one time for 4 hours for a supervisor who when answered told me I needed to go to the physical location I rented the vehicle from and explain this there and then hung up on me. After waiting four hours to be hung up on!!! On one of the previous calls one guy told me they had no actual solutions. He said all the decisions came from corporate and that even after speaking to a supervisor he would just read me the letter I was sent in different words. This is not ok. These people take advantage of these situations to take people's money and well if you ask me if I’d recommend or rent with them again the answer is hellllll to the noooo. Not even if it was the last place on Earth during a zombie apocalypse. Do not rent from there people. They will steal your money.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I reserved a rental car through Travelocity for Phoenix, Ariz to pick up the car 3/11/2018 and return the car 3/18/2018. The contract with Travelocity said $452.97 for the week. I realize there are a lot of taxes on rental cars in Phoenix, and we have rented a car probably 12-13 years in Phoenix. I anticipated my bill being around $700 with taxes. I asked for a 4 door car. When we got to airport, I was told no 4 door cars were available, but we could upgrade to a 4 door for $7 additional dollars a day. We also added a second driver at the airport for another $8 a day. On 3/18/2018 when we returned the car at approximately 8:30-9:00 because I had a 10:30 flight, the attendants said the computer was down and they could not close our contract that that time. They said they would send us an e-mail receipt once the contract was closed. I waited a few days and had not gotten a receipt from Payless.

I checked my bank to see if Payless had accessed my account to pay the bill. It was $1,212!!! On 3/29/2018 I contacted Payless by phone to dispute the charges and to try to get a refund. I spoke with a "Bernard" I explained to him what had happened. He asked if I had ever gotten a copy of my receipt. I had not. He sent me a copy of the receipt within a couple hours. When I got the receipt I noticed I had been charged $49 a day for the upgrade from 2-4 doors. I had agreed to a $7 a day upgrade for the 4 doors. I had been charged $91 a day to rent a Ford Edge with 4 doors!! I also had been charged an extra day, $91 for returning the vehicle late. I told him the computers were down when I returned the car to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and I was not given a receipt. My flight was Delta # 2160 from Phoenix to Salt Lake City. It left Phoenix at 10:30 AM. He said he would open a dispute ticket up for me and I would hear back within 72 working hours.

I did not hear anything back from Payless. On 4/9/2018 I called Payless again and asked about my overcharge and my refund. I was advised that I should have checked the car in before 3:45 on 3/18/2018 and that is why I was charged the extra day. I reminded him their computers were down that day and I could not close the contract. I also reminded him that I had agreed to a $7 a day upgrade to get 4 doors, for 7 days. It should have been $49 for the whole week. Instead I was charged $49 a day for the upgrade. Payless told me today I should have caught that before I left their facility on the day I picked up the car. It is a clear mistake on their part and it should be refunded!! I paid $91 a day for a 4 door Ford Edge. That's more than they charge for a Mustang or a Camaro or Corvette.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I recently visited my mother in Mesa, Arizona for a small vacation before continuing my surgery following a breast cancer diagnosis. I rented a car from Payless Car Rental stationed at the Phoenix Airport. I was informed upon arrival at the airport that a subcompact Kia was all that was available. I had reserved a Chrysler 200 or similar (this seems to be a common practice after viewing other complaints to state that the car you reserved is not available). The man at the desk informed me that it would not be a good thing to ride around in a subcompact car and that he would upgrade my rental at no extra charge. All that he had was a Jeep Renegade. He asked me if I was a AAA member and I told him no but I was 65. He said he would indicate on the form that I was so I could get a better deal.

I told him that was not necessary that being 65 a senior discount was appropriate. Anyways, I was so pleased at getting a car when it seemed that there were not many to choose from, and we went upon our merry way. First, it appeared the Jeep had not been cleaned as the seats had dried food and there was a particular odor that we could not discern. My sister and mother will attest to this fact. While using the Jeep there were four occasions that when pulling out and trying to accelerate it would stall out and leave us sitting in traffic. We would have to put the car in park and try to restart. Sometimes it took a little to get it started. My mother was with us on one occasion when the car did this.

Anyway, when arriving back in Ohio I was going over my credit card and lo and behold, Payless charged me $740 and not the $265 originally agreed to. They are saying that I requested the upgrade and clearly I thought I was getting a nice car (midsize) by what I had originally signed for and their employee informed me that all that was available was a subcompact, which I would expect to pay even less for if they could not produce a comparable car for the price agreed to. It seems as though we are at a stalemate and they have offered to compensate me for $152 as I could have requested the update.

I, on the other hand, cannot afford an update having just recently only started working part-time after losing my full time job when going through chemotherapy. I am so very unhappy at this point, as this was a quick getaway vacation with my mom (cheap vacation) before continuing further reconstruction surgery April 10th, and the cost they are charging me is more than what the whole trip cost me. It is also disconcerting that other vacationers that use this company can also be swindled. This company needs to be shut down and I am not sure if Consumer Affairs has the power other than word of mouth. I am sending a letter to the newspapers in the Phoenix area and letting anyone who will listen with regard to Payless's unethical business practices.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I rented a car March 20 in San Juan Puerto for 6 days. Online I booked and was told I will only have to pay 294 once I get to the rented copy. WRONGGG. I end up paying 574. Ok we get the car, drive off and the ** had no sharks, no nothing. The car sound crazy. Was mad but said, "Whatever, let me enjoy my vacation." The second day of the I leave some food in the car while I run in the store. Come back there is roaches everywhere in the car. Not flying roaches. The roaches you get when your house dirty. I called the company. They laughed and told me to bring it in. Cool. I got to the place 30 mins later in line. They gave me a credit back on my card and a new rental. Wrong. My card still haven’t been credited back. And it’s the second of April. A day later what happen more bugs. I call back and they say, "There's nothing we can do. All our cars got bugs." What? How do you rent these to people. I will never rent here again.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Payless cars in Phoenix Arizona at the airport - I was charged almost double the amount I agreed to on a reservation I had for a vehicle. The guy at the seat said he had to upgrade me because of not having the right vehicle but the amount would be waived. He even said verbally the same amount that was agreed to. Then after handing my card over and getting to the vehicle I saw the amount was different. I called customer service because it took me an half an hour to find the car because no one was out there to help. I called for 5 days and emailing. I was put on hold. Had names and ID numbers but they still refuse to make their wrong right. I was from out of state and now I’m learning they take advantage of customers and had a lawsuit last year? Do not rent from them!

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information