1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1074 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We arrived at rental desk after long travel and late at night. The clerk explained only some of the additional expenses incurred. My fault for not reading although I was very tired from travel. What should have been a $182 charge ended up $369 due to several "additional fees". However, I did write a letter explaining that their business practice was deceitful in not fully explaining all charges, but they have yet to give me the courtesy of a replay after 4 months. I will never rent a car again from Payless Car Rental.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This was the WORST rental car experience in my life. I called the 1-800 to extend my car rental. The customer service agent said that he wasn't able to assist me and I would have to contact Payless directly in ATL. I called ATL and was routed back to the main reservation number. I explained to the next agent that I called ATL several times and I keep getting routed back to the main number.

I asked if he could help me and he said he was unable. He suggested that I return to the airport in Atlanta to see if they could extend the reservation. I was 2 hours away from the Atlanta airport and I am being told to return to one of the world's busiest airport to see if they can extend the rental. That was beyond ridiculous and absurd. I tried calling Atlanta again and was routed back to the main number. This representative told me to press 5. I call Atlanta again and press 5. After pressing 5, I am routed back to the main number again. I asked for a supervisor and the representative never transferred me to one. He said that there wasn't anything he could do to help me.

The next morning, I called again. The representative said he would email my request. I was given a ticket number. He said I would receive an email within the next hour with an answer to my request. I NEVER received an email. I called back again and gave a different representative my ticket number. He said that he couldn't help because they were still waiting on a response. This was truly one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever endured. Payless rental car is a company the exemplifies horrible customer service. I would never rent from this company. DO NOT RENTAL FROM PAYLESS CAR.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Worst rental experience in 30 years of renting cars. No confirmation email. Closed locations still on listed on the web. Incompetent phone service. Incompetent desk service. Car not ready. Asking the same question over and over. Incorrect info about shuttle. Inconsistent incorrect info about payment refund policy plus.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This company has the worst customer service. I booked a car with this company as a local renter. Please be advised that there are restrictions on local residents. The rep at the counter would not apply any reasonableness to the situation at hand. Due to being a local renter they require documents that support you being a local resident. One of the documents can be a current utility bill. Since my utility bill was not current I asked could I suppose a receipt of payment in full due to the fact that statements are only generated every 30 days. The answer was no. I then asked, "Is there any other document that you would accept?' The answer was no.

After leaving the airport via Uber that cost $20. I called the corporate office and was informed that a bank statement pay stub or a current utility bill would suffice for supporting documents for a local residents are then return back to the airport to see why was I given misinformation. The response was, "Well we prefer utility statements." The website does not say prefer. The website says that supporting documents would be current utility bill pay stub or bank statement. After it has been acknowledged that a mistake has been made... now there are no cars available. I then wait for over 2 hours. Again I am inconvenience due to the poor customer service and poorly ran establishment. I speak with a supervisor and she doesn't offers or willing to make any concessions. I would I strongly advise any consumer not to deal with Payless Rental. They are very unprofessional and unethical.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My family had to travel to Pittsburgh for a funeral so I reserved a car from Payless and requested a toddler seat for my son. When we arrived at the post office no one was available in the airport so we had to go outside to the parking garage and see an attendant. The attendant handed me the keys and made me retrieve the car at the other end of the parking garage and drive it to the booth to check out. When we arrived at the booth he did not have the booster seat that we requested. We had to rent a car from a different company and had to spend double. Thanks for nothing Payless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Do not rent from this disgusting company! If you don’t take their upgrades then they (Nathan) becomes rude! He argued that we didn’t have proper insure, which we did. When I highlighted the coverage on our papers he blamed us & refused to apologize. He then intentionally typed in our credit card number incorrectly & told us that our credit card had been rejected. I went outside & bought a drink with the same card, then called my bank to find out what he had done. I’m certain it was intentional. Each time he blamed us for everything that went wrong. Total jerks!! Now I discovered that we were overcharged so I have another fight in my hands.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We rented a SUV Mitsubishi Outlander from Payless Rental Cars in Puerto Rico because they were the only company with vehicle availability through the Southwest app or otherwise. We were hesitant to rent because of all the negative reviews. However, we proceeded carefully knowing it could have been problematic. We arrived via plane to the airport and waited over an hour to get a shuttle to the Payless rental car station, which was located outside of the airport.

We called several times and they would just reiterate that someone was on the way each time. When we reached the counter, they tried giving full size SUV away to someone who had booked a standard vehicle and was attempting to upgrade it. I objected to that since he did not have a reservation and I already did. Suspiciously, Payless also preferred that I just use the credit card for my insurance, rather than my insurance company. At the time, I thought nothing of it, but it stood out as unusual. Anyway, the customer service was terrible. The tried to avoid inspecting the vehicle prior to my signing for it. They glanced over major damage and we had to insist that he document the pre-existing damage the was present.

After documenting it with a “S” for scratch, we took the vehicle. We drove it without any issues. When we went to return the car, they immediately tried claiming that there was no pre-existing damage. We showed them the documentation, and they responded that the pre-existing damage was not that bad. A different person, inspected it during the day and wrote a slightly different code. The code was “MB” for missing/broken. The state of the vehicle was unchanged evident by pictures of the vehicle that we had taken before and after. They took over an hour to “handle” the situation and delayed our transit to the airport. They charged my credit card for the deductible without my consent. When I found out what they were trying to do, I tried to freeze my credit card, but was unable to do it before they charged me again.

When I looked at my charges, I noticed that Payless had actually charged the full amount for the rental up front and not when I returned the vehicle. I asked to speak to a supervisor to show the pictures and state my case but they refused to listen. I called Southwest to report the situation and they sent me a form for me to complete and reported that it would take months for them to verify the details and that I would not be reimbursed. This is a fraudulent business. I imagine that they are not permitted to do business on airport grounds because they are not legitimate. I will never rent from them again. I suggest that you beware and avoid them altogether, if at all possible.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I rented a car and went to pick it up at 8 pm at night, so it was dark out. No one from, the company came out to inspect the car with me and I didn't think about trying to take pics at night. The next morning when I got in the car to drive, I noticed numerous dings, scratches, and paint chips all over the car, but by this point the car had been in my possession all night (in my driveway).

I drove the car to my destination, backed it into a parking spot at the hotel, and there it sat until I drove it home. They filed a claim saying I dented the trunk lid. How does that happen when a car is backed into a parking spot and left there? Mind you, there was a curb behind me, not another vehicle. I take the car back, turn it in, and again no one comes out to check the vehicle, even when I asked them to. Turned it in at 6pm and they didn't check it for damage until the following morning at almost 9am. It sat in the car rental parking lot the entire night, where who knows what could have happened, and now I'm having to deal with a bogus claim. I will not be renting from them again, and if you do...TAKE PICS, even if it's nighttime, cause now it's my word against theirs.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

In October of 2018 I reserved a car with Payless through Southwest Airlines that clearly stated on the reservation Unlimited Mileage at no-charge. When I arrived at the Payless counter in San Diego during a casual conversation the Payless employee questioned my destination which I freely told him was Yuma, AZ and was headed there as my son who is a US Marine is stationed there was having back surgery on the following Tuesday. I was then told by the Payless employee that there was going to be a Zone 3 $150.00 mileage charge as I was not staying in the San Diego area. I was told if I did not agree to the charge and sign the rental agreement I could go elsewhere to get a rental car. As my son was having back surgery in Yuma, Az the following Tuesday he left me no choice but to agree to the charges or risk no car rental and not being with my son during his surgery.

As my original reservation agreement clearly stated unlimited mileage and a total figure of $226.97 this is the amount I expected to pay. I was given a take it or leave it and go elsewhere option by the employee and I choose to take it and deal with it at a later date rather than risk missing my son's surgery. I do not agree with the charge even though I did sign the rental agreement as I was given an ultimatum by the Payless employee even though I presented him with a copy of the original rental reservation information from Southwest Airlines. This will be the last time I rent a car from Payless and would suggest others be wary of the Unlimited Mileage claim that is given by this organization.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

The car broke down. They took hours to get me a tow because they reported my location wrong. They reported the location of the car wrong again and then accused me of stealing it. Now they're charging me for the car even though it was a mechanical issue and I didn't buy their insurance so I might have to actually pay it and not even get a car out of the deal. Plus they keep upping the amount they say I owe. This is a terrible company and it's linked with Avis and Budget so they're probably crap too. I legitimately hope the business fails and falls apart.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

What a total shame this place is. They advertise at 20/30 dollars a day. Had a crap compact for two days and 1 hour and cost me $260 after all their bs fees which when questioned about they couldn’t/wouldn’t explain. Zero Stars. ** Payless and change your name.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Payless Car Rental (Payless) deserves an 'F' grade as far as I'm concerned. Let me be clear: I am not someone who takes the time to write reviews very often; however, Payless' conduct has been so egregious that I had to work the crafting of this review into my busy schedule. Also, this is NOT defamation; I have time-date stamped photos, message-board conversation, and three witnesses; all of which can verify the details of this submission. Finally, Payless was pre-warned of this review's pending publication and was given an opportunity to defend its behaviour (an opportunity that has yet to be utilized).

The review: I rented a car from Payless in Las Vegas for six days this past September. The company's agent refused to complete a condition report at the outset -- so I took my own photos instead. Then the agent implied that the vehicle was fine when I returned it on September 13. Forty-six days later(!) Payless wrote a letter addressed to me which contained an accusation that I had caused damage to one of the vehicle's tail lamps during the rental period (said damage is clearly visible in my photos which were taken minutes before I ever put the vehicle in "drive").

Payless then charged my Visa credit card $437.38 USD without my permission (presumably they were able to do this because of some unread contract clause-- not unlike if a hotel were to later charge someone for damage inflicted to one of its rooms or property-- although Visa reversed the charge when I disputed it as being unauthorized later).

As a result of a local postal strike I did not receive Payless' letter until November 8, which is the same day Payless received a heated reaction from me. Following the conversation a member of their staff created an online service ticket designed to handle the dispute; then from November 9 to November 28 I spent precious life-hours going back and forth with The Payless Customer Service Lead (The Lead).

The Lead's first message to me stated: "...it has been determined that this incident was the driver’s responsibility..." and "...Because this is a renter responsibility situation, the charges have been deemed to be valid and a refund is not warranted..." It was DETERMINED? HOW?! When pressed to reveal the proof that I had inflicted the damage, The Lead dodged the demand and asked me to defend myself by submitting the non-existent condition report. When pressed again she stated that "We have forwarded your information to the location for further review." When given a deadline and threatened with negative reviews she continued to offer no proof but did offer to refund 50% of my $437.38 USD.

Finally, when given a deadline and threatened with possible legal action she finally conceded that there is "no documentation on their side." Payless promptly refunded my money and stated: "We apologize for any difficulties you may have experienced during your rental. We hope you continue to choose Payless Car Rental as your rental car company of choice." "NO DOCUMENTATION ON THEIR SIDE" ever existed... And yet I was subjected to a lengthy and stressful process. Payless Car Rental: F.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I rented from this company because they had a lower rate online. After I returned the vehicle, they charged me for a full tank of gas $44 and an additional $88. YOU ARE CROOKS!!! I will review you anywhere I can online to warn others of your practice. CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS. ASKED FOR AN ITEMIZED RECEIPT BEFOREHAND.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company is pulling a classic scam. They are offering by far the lowest rate on Expedia. When you get there you cannot get the booked rate. They insist you have your proof of insurance. No other car rental company demands this. You just sign a waiver. If you do happen to have it they ask for other documents like outbound flight proof. If you can't supply they offer you a walk-in rate. Of course you have already waited 30 minutes for their bus and are marooned in their lot. Having tipped the bus driver he stopped by the gate where I was waiting for an UBER. "He asked what scam they had attempted on me"!!!! Everyone is a MUG if they don't walk away. DO NOT BE LULLED BY THEIR LOW PRICES.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I rented a mid-size SUV through Expedia for my weekend trip in Colorado from Payless. I had one cost agreed to when I made the reservation and at the counter it became over double the cost. They said part of it was because I was "checking in early". My reservation was for 4 pm and I was at the counter at 3:40 pm. When I returned the car I got a bill for $63.27 additional with them saying I didn't return the car until the next day. Wrong again. I had to provide a copy of my flight itinerary to get them to credit my card.

Two weeks later they bill my credit card again only this time for "Toll charges" and I never once traveled on a toll road. The toll was charged in November-when I wasn't even in Colorado. There is no way to reach them by phone and resolve the issue-they force you to fill out an online complaint form. This makes two fraudulent charges on my Visa.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We rented a car in San Diego in late October. The experience was not what we were expecting. They lie and try to trick you into paying more for upgrades. The car was disgusting and I felt like I needed another shower after driving it. I will NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We booked online and ended up being nickel and dimed to death with fees so paid twice what we expected for a crappy little Nissan. Notice that your confirmation does not have an am or pm so they tried to charge me a late fee for not turning my car in at 3:30 am. I know I selected pm online. They also try to talk you into paying $10-25 more per day for an all wheel vehicle because there might be snow. Like a front wheel drive won't work in snow. I wish I could post you my bill so you can see how shady this company truly is. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERE. I wish I would've checked more online reviews as there are articles warning against it. HEED the WARNINGS! RENT elsewhere! You can tell the counter representatives see every person walking in as a SUCKER! Denver Airport Location.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Rented a Payless car thru Kayak website for a few days in Orlando Airport area. Returned it today 10 Nov 2018. Gal with dark hair tried to aggressively double my cost when I rented it. I told her I didn't need any insurance cost and she quickly said it's required several times. She also increased tax double what my rate on website was. I won't rent from them again...very aggressive and not at all ethical.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was told it would be $160 for a weekend. I was charged $346. I couldn't find the fine print where the would justify the hidden fees. It appears that the fees only appear on the final receipt. I'm pretty sure they just lied and stole my money.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Payless has an F rating from the BBB for deceptive business practices. That's all you need to know. I wish I had, they offered me a "free" upgrade, but ended up charging me an extra $113 for insurance. I declined. Should be to easy to fix right? Nope, they fought me tooth and nail for three months, refunded half, then took it all back when my credit card company got involved. I've since found out this is a common practice, the desk agent will tell you to sign to decline, but you are actually accepting the insurance. I will never use these guys again. You shouldn't either.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I rented a vehicle from Payless at the San Francisco Airport. I got a flat tire in Yosemite National Park. I called Customer service, and they said to drive to Fresno, Ca. on the donut spare tire. I was advised by a mechanic that the tire was not safe to drive the 150 miles to Fresno. I called customer service back, and explained the situation, and was told to purchase a new tire, and I would be reimbursed upon returning the vehicle. Upon returning the vehicle, I was told there would be no refund.

After a discussion with the manager Mr. Robert ** I was given a partial reimbursement. I forwarded all the information to the corporate headquarters, and was told that there would be no further reimbursement. I find Payless management in San Francisco, and the corporate office derelict in honoring the customer service instructions, and forgoing the safety of a customer and family for the sake of the bottom line. I would advise to rent a vehicle from another car rental company when the need arises.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We rented online through Expedia. Got there first of all, did not get the vehicle as described, was suppose to be a small SUV, was given a small car. Was asked on site if we needed a GPS in vehicle, which we did because of some traveling around to outside areas, and marked it as such. No GPS was in car, and they would not give up one without a HUGE upgrade charge. Then when quoting us the total amount, was way above (doubled) what the amount was suppose to be, I asked why, and was told it was for INS, which I then explained we had full coverage on our vehicles and it also covered any rental and we would NOT need that, to please remove it. She seem to do so, or said she did.

Upon closing, my husband stepped up to sign, since card was in his name. He did not read the contract, but trusted her since she had just confirmed by mouth the correct amount. Upon return of the car, we realized she billed us for "Loss Damage Waiver" amount of $188.16. Before paying we tried to explain that to the lady at the counter. She was NOT going to correct it. It was a contract and we had signed it, therefore, owed it!! So whatever you do "READ" every word on your contract before you sign it!!! I will never use Payless Car Rental again!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had a bad experience. Do not rent from Payless Car Rental! Their contracts are one-sided protecting only them but not the customer. You cannot get customer service on the phone and you will wait hours. I didn't rent a car at the end and they took my money and didn't give it back! They lie over the phone. They say they one thing but do another. I am suing them in court now. This is my cancelation number ** by them. You're all welcome to call me and I'll tell you why not to trust them!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

They charged me $123 a month after I had rented the car with them for a "tire repair" that did NOT happen while I had the car. When I returned the car, everything was in top shape and the inspection was flawless. When I called their customer service to solve this matter, they always gave excuses that they couldn't find my records or confirmation number. Then they started saying that their system was down. Then they told me to resolve the matter with RentalCars.com whom I used to make the reservations through. They couldn't solve the problem since they weren't the ones charging me. Overall, This company is a scam! DO NOT GO WITH THEM, YOU PAY MORE WITH PAYLESS. If I could give them 0 stars, I would.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I rented Nissan Altima at a Payless Car Rental location very near Chicago Ohare Intl airport on 3/26/18 and returned it intact 3/30/18, after making reservation for 4 days online with full payment of $177.96 including Concession Recovery Fee, Customer Facility Charge, Vehicle License Fee and Sales Tax on 3/18. However I found Payless charged extra $28.26 and then $124.44 to my credit card without any notice in advance and even afterwards.

Not wanting to waste time arguing with them I determined to consider the $28.26 as e-Toll fees, but I sent Payless my letters a couple of times requesting for their explanation of why and under what pretext they unilaterally charged the extra $124.44 to my credit card afterwards, though I had paid their billed total amount in advance. But they'd never replied to my letters, whiling sending payment demanding notices only a couple of times.

Then they simply sent my case to a collection agency. Last week I tried to rent a car at Budge Car Rental, but was refused because there is an unpaid debt on my credit record. I think this is the very Payless's untrue, baseless and false extra charge issue. I need help to get this false debt cleared by Payless in this most civilized and advanced country in the world.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We were unable to rent a vehicle from PAYLESS as the computer would not let the agent set up an account for us. First, she blamed the credit card company. We called them and they told her that "we could buy the car if we wanted to." Then she said that we had an open ticket with BUDGET Car Rental, which we had canceled, and this was not letting her set up an account for us. On our next credit card statement, PAYLESS charged us for a vehicle we DID NOT RENT and reported that we had driven 1400 miles. We have tried to settle this with them but no one ever returns our calls, letters or emails. Before doing any business with them, go online and read the reviews. Once you've done so, you will learn that this company (who is affiliated with BUDGET and AVIS) is as bad as the Ebola virus. Like Ebola, avoid PAYLESS.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented a vehicle from Budget originally down in Orlando Florida, but when I went to pick up my vehicle they transferred me to Payless because they could “offer a lower rate”. Like any customer, I was excited to pay even less. However, I fully regret ever letting them hand me over. The customer support I received was horrible. I needed to extend my rental by 10 hours. Just 10 hours. They wanted to charge me over $50 for my basic car rental!

I then informed them I just searched I could return this car and rent another from a different company for $30, why are you charging me so much? The call center representative couldn’t answer that. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. He wasn’t available. Really? I’ve worked in a call center help desk setting before, there are ALWAYS supervisors on duty. Multiple. I requested the supervisor call me back when they returned. The representative claimed it would take 15 minutes.

An hour later I call back because I still had not heard back. Supervisor is in a meeting. So where are the others? Again can’t answer my question. Representative hangs up on me because he claims there’s nothing he can do for me. Put me on the phone with a supervisor! This place is a scam! I’ve never dealt with such horrible terrible customer service. I will never rent from this company again and will make sure I tell everyone I know who travels to avoid them at all costs!!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I picked up a minivan in Denver and booked it to Las Vegas. Once there I could not find another rental, any company. I drove this rental to Orlando. My final destination. Called and informed Payless before I left Nevada, no quote. $3,000.00! Also a day later than planned since the Payless was inside a TGIF Fridays, no signs. Kirkman Dr Orlando. No damage, full of gas.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Ana at the call center extremely rude and no help whatsoever. Giggling the phone call. Her supervisor, Josh ** (so they told me), I assume refused to answer my transferred call after 20 or so odd minutes. I will never be renting from this company again. Worst car rental experience thus far. I still have no real information and no receipts. I will also be letting my colleagues know about their poor business.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We returned our car in perfect condition. Nothing was mentioned about damage at the time (because there was none). Over 2 months later I noticed a $184.00 charge on my credit car from Payless. I called and they said they would get back to me in 72 hours. I called again after a week of no notification and was told it was for windshield repair. There was nothing wrong with the windshield when we returned it. And we were never notified that there was supposedly damage and that they were charging us for it. They just billed our credit card... probably hoping we wouldn't notice. Phone calls just want you to go through the same loop again and I could not get a manager to speak with. Very shady! Never rent from Payless!

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information