1.3/5 (33 ratings)

About Payless Car Rental

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Purchased my car from this dealer. Had pads, calipers and rotors replaced. After 7 thousand miles they failed. Brought car back. They said same parts had to be replaced again. Charged me again and claimed they never fixed the before even though I had the receipt.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

We rented a vehicle with Payless through our American Airlines reservation. After waiting for an extensive amount of time at their counter, the vehicle they provided had dents, scratches and other blemishes across the exterior. The interior was filthy and smelled. As a result of the first wait time we were running late for our meeting, we decided to just take the vehicle and have the lot attendant note all of the issues. We asked the attendant if he had noted all of the damage and his response was "I circled the entire car" referring to the vehicle likeness on their "pink slip". Having the issues noted by their representative, we continued on with our weekend.

When we arrived at the airport car rental return the attendant's eyes widened and he looked dumbfounded, we immediately informed him we received the vehicle in this condition and showed him a copy of the pink slip reflecting the condition we had received the vehicle. He and another female attendant continued to process the vehicle, looking inside and asking us to verify we had all of our belongings and for the keys. Neither of the representatives mentioned any interior smell, we did tell them the interior was filthy when we picked it up, we were not warned or informed there could be a charge to "repair the damage" of the smelly/dirty interior. Last week we received a letter from Payless Car Rental "Customer Service" which stated they intended to charge us $450.00 for "damages".

We immediately sent an email, with all of the pictures we took at the rental car lot when we first saw the vehicle along with a copy of their "pink slip" noting the vehicle was really unfit for rental. This morning we received an email response with spelling and grammatical errors basically telling us, sorry, the charges are valid but they would offer us 25% off. You cannot make this stuff up, will never ever ever use this or another "discount" rental car company again. They also pre-charged us to fill the tank, there was no option for us to waive this and return the car full, thankfully, we read reviews of prior customers who returned the car full and were still charged, we returned the vehicle without filling the tank. That cost us a $25.00 "customer service" fee and $82.58 or 16.2 gallons, the tank's capacity, at $5.10/gallon. Thank you for the platform and ability to share our story and prevent some one else being treated the same way.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Bait & Switch organization. Rude and disrespectful. I arrived at the car rental desk at 9:50 am, 2.5 hours late, the person who greeted me told me my reservation was cancelled because I was late and my rate of $350 for a midsized SUV was no longer valid. They then tried to rent me the same class of car, exact same, for $600. When I said no and asked for the manager, the gentleman mocked me for threatening him and engaged the manager (sitting next to him). The agent and manager then said they could give me a Kia Soul for the $350 (even though I reserved a Midsize SUV, eg, Jeep Compass.) I asked if the Kia Soul was a midsize SUV and the manager said it was. Of course, it's not.

The deception, mocking, ridiculing and overall horrible experience will certainly dissuade me from renting a car from Payless and using Hotwire in the future. I ended up leaving and renting a car from a different rental agency, one that was very respectful, laughed at the fact Payless called a Kia Soul a midsize SUV, and told me they hold reservations for 24 hours. I also found this to be a bait and switch tactic and really think the FTC and Justice Departments should be aware of. The whole experience was terrible.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Same experience as others here. Basically took a deposit, then altered bill to reflect that I owed them 3 weeks later. DO NOT use this company! We used the Denver location and the guy straight lied to my face guaranteeing that I would get deposit back. Don’t even bother asking for child car seat, totally rolled their eyes at me.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Reserved a rental car Through Orbitz but was to pay for the rental at pickup site. Little or no information was provided to me at pickup. Said I couldn’t use The insurance I had already paid for. Had to buy more insurance. Verbally I was quoted a price For the insurance. Had just gotten off a 12 hour flight and really just

Wanted to be on my way. In hindsight I should have asked for a receipt. Upon return of my rental, a day early, the car was inspected. I left it with a full tank of gas, no damage. Woman said, "Ok you'r all set." Again I didn’t ask for any kind of receipt. Was in a hurry to get to my flight. When I checked my credit card I was charged $300 more Than I was verbally quoted. All I want is a receipt to see What I am paying For. As of today 3 weeks later no one seems to be able to provide me with anything telling me what I was charged for. Terrible service. Will never use them again nor will I recommend Them to anyone! Zero stars!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

This is an amazing place to rent cars!!! Teddy and Michael ** have made me a happy renter for many years. They have come thru in many a clutch and even when they were oversold on the vehicle I wanted they kept me abreast of my options. Great prices, great service and even better great people!!!! I have rented cars, vans and even cargo and 15 passenger vans when they had them. Airport location, Northeast location does not matter. This company and team should get 10 stars if I could give it to them. Give them a try and trust me you will not be disappointed!

Original review: July 26, 2022

This place is awful. Terrible customer service. It is worth the extra $20 to use a different rental company. They will lie for more money then refuse to admit fault/fix their mistake. Will never use this company again.

Original review: July 20, 2022

Rented through Hopper for, at arrival was told of $250 deposit which I would get back, total on kiosk was $270 on top of the $546 I already paid, I assumed that $270 include the $250 deposit I was getting back, didn't want to hold the line up so I went forward with it. Turns out the $270 was separate from the $250, it was just additional crap like insurance which I already declined on Hopper. Completely bogus.

Original review: July 10, 2022

I have rented many cars before in my life, but I have never or will never rent a car from Payless Car Rental again. I rented a car from Payless because my car was in the shop. I checked all prices and choose Payless. There was no one at the airport desk. The female that was sent over knew nothing about how to work the business. Someone else came over and helped her 3X. I waited for 30 minutes to have my car brought to me and no one showed. Then I found out the car I reserved was not available. I was reassigned a car. It also was not available.

I could not get my money back to go to another car rental business! I was told there would be a $250 hold on my account because I was using a debit card plus the car charges. I was charged a fuel fee, but I would get that charge back if I returned the car with a full tank of gas. Well, after 3 hours, yes 3 hours, I finally got a car. The car they brought me had never been vacuumed from the previous customer and had remnants of someone who ate in the car. So much for coronavirus cleaning! It was returned 3 days later. I received an email bill and, I was charged for a car I never was given or drove!! The charge was for a week. I never got my fuel charge back and as of today after contacting customer service twice, I am still be being overcharged for a larger car that was never given to me or that I drove. This business should be closed for fraud is for no other reason. I don't know how they are allowed to get away with this kind of practice.

Original review: June 19, 2022

Sorry I rented from these people. Trouble from the beginning. Was told of extra 250.00 charge because I was leaving San Diego county. Then the vehicle was well used. Dents all the way around. The carpet under the driver had a hole worn in it. Mileage was nearly 60 thousand, found empty alcohol container under driver's seat besides other trash found that after family trip to Yosemite. During initial drive north found nail in front tire and engine temp keep going above normal so overall giant piece of Crap. Their motto should be Payless expect Wayless.

Payless Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information