1.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good rental car company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Payless Car Rental

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

974 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Pre-paid car rental billed as Paylesscar.com returned car and later found addition payment on my credit card for an additional amount to Payless-Corporate office so credit card company wont recognize addition payment. Shady way of doing business.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It was the WORSE car rental experience at Payless Car Rental LAX! We had a reservation for a Mini Van for Sep 15, 2017 - Sep 17, 2017, but waited 1 hour and 15 minutes still didn't have a car. They were very disorganized and non-apologetic about it. Finally, we asked if they just didn't have the car couldn't they give us the large SUV parked there the whole time? They agreed. Well if we didn't ask probably will still be there waiting. By the time we left the place we were there for nearly 2 hours.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I used Expedia to secure a rental car at the Los Angeles airport. The wait was long for picking up the car and the staff worked VERY slowly. I had called the corporate number to find out the cost of a navigation system ($39.95) but at the LAX location they were going to charge me $59.00. I finally got the corporate price after waiting for a manager. Upon returning the car, I asked for a receipt and was told it would be e-mailed. That did not happen. I had to issue an on-line request and it took 3 days to get the receipt only to find out that I have been charged $40.79 for pre-paid fuel when I returned the car with a full tank of gas. The car was damaged (from right quarter panel) and at first no notation was made until I said I wanted something in writing. I should have read the reviews before using this company.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I rented a car from Payless Car Rental in Sacramento, CA on July 24, 2017 and returned it July 28, 2017. It has been almost 2 months and I receive a phone call today on September 19, 2017 about damage done to the car. First of all I waited 30 min for someone to come help me turn it in and sign off on papers. I eventually had to leave to catch my flight so I did a walk around car and looked one last time knowing there was no damage and again saw no damage. I brought it back like I got it, and left after leaving keys in seat and papers they left me to know who rented the car. Now almost 2 months later, they want me to produce pictures of car to show I dropped it off without damage. First of all if I took pictures, I would not have kept them a month. If damage was done to the car, they should have notified me the day it was turned in and not this far out. At this point I have thrown away my rental papers. I mean 2 months later.

So I was told I did not get on my hands and knees and look under the front bumper. I did not do that when I got the car and didn't do that when I left it. So then they say the mileage matches when you turned in the car meaning, they are just looking at paperwork and the mileage on the car over a month ago says it was my damage done to the car. There were many cars ahead of me and people waited as long as they could until they had to leave for the bus to make it to the airport. How do they know if the car was indeed damaged at that mileage, that their attendant didn't do it since it was the "front bumper?" They were so far behind and being in a hurry... Just thinking about how could it have happened because it did not happen when I had the car. I was not in a big city. The car was kept in an open airfield around nothing else the 5 days I had it. I was skydiving and I know it was not damaged at all.

This has to be a scam. Do not rent from these people. I have rented cars all over the country and never tried this cheaper company until now and this happens. Now I am being threatened to send all my info to collections when I told them to speak to my lawyer. So their intent is to ruin your credit next. I knew I should have stayed with better companies like Enterprise, Hertz, Avis and Dollar Rent A Car. Beware of their hidden agendas. Now that I have done some research and called the Better Business Bureau, I see that I am not the only one who this has happened to. Stay away or you will be next on their list as a way of making money. Also, never walk away from a car without taking pictures above and below on the vehicle. Then keep 6 months out especially if you use Payless Car Rental. So disappointed in their actions. Being threatened by them is not acceptable.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

If you use Payless in Cancun, be ready because they are going to rob you. This people pick you up at the airport and take you miles from the airport. I bought car insurance before so all I had to was to pick up the car and go but I got to the location and I was told in a very offensive way that the insurance that I bought was not enough. Today I called the insurance company and they told me that scams like this happen all the time. Like I was saying, this big guy talk to me like I was nothing and he said, “Well either you buy our insurance that is 6000+ peso (around $350 dollars) or if you want to use your insurance, you have to leave me a deposit of $27,000 dollars,” and I said, “If I had $27,000 to spend I wouldn't talking to you” and he said, “Whatever.”

I felt my blood go to my feet. I had a lot of family members with me, little kids and older people. I didn't know what to do, it took me 12 hours to get to Cancun. I was tired, my family was tired. I told this horrible person that I wasn't going to take that, that I wanted to go to the airport. He said, “So? You can find a taxi outside.” I flew from San Francisco that is to so I wasn't ready for the heat of Cancun, so my family and I were cooking in the sun, finally found a taxi to the airport and got a van. So if you like my experience and you want one like me, don't forget to rent a car from Payless Car Rental.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I rented a car from them for 4 days. After paying for the car, I was given the keys and told where my car was. No car checking procedures, no sheet to mark down any previous damages. Bring the car back after 4 days and check it in. Guy takes the number from the keys, puts it in a computer, and then tells me, "We're all good. Have a nice day." 4 days later I get two charges totaling 1900.00 USD. DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS!!! FRAUD COMPANY!!! THESE COOKS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OPERATE IN THE USA!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Long line as reservation counter only one agent working. Not friendly at all. I was told would have to wait as cars were just coming in & needed to be washed. Also noticed a $12 a day charge for my husband to drive the car. Didn't mentioned that anywhere on the reservation site. Went downstairs to another unfriendly agent & waited for the vehicle. Had to walk back and forth to check the vehicle for damage & get it signed off. Vehicle was new but didn't have a lot of the upgrades I've seen in other rentals. I understand they do this to keep rental costs down but they could at least have friendly staff & better customer service. My total was $12 more than originally quoted.

Called to see about keeping the car an additional 2 days. The price was double the original daily price & included an additional $10 charge for changing the reservation. I asked the agent about the cost difference. He said he could give me the amounts & I can calculate them myself. I returned the vehicle & rented another one from a different company for much cheaper. Will not do business with Payless again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have rented from this company twice in the past year and both times they overcharged me beyond the agreed upon rate. It was corrected after I pointed it out, but had I not carefully checked the bill, I might have missed it. Never renting from Payless again.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Payless car atSan Diego airport - Service at the counter was fine. The problem was the car was very old and - windows were manual with handle cranks, door locks were manual. You could only lock each door separately. That was impossible from the driver's seat. Several dings on the rear of the car which I had to point out to the person checking out the car. Mileage was over 13,000 miles. I felt I was renting a "rent-a-wreck"!

When I told the Payless person when returning the car all he told me was "We rent cars cheap." Payless you do but you don't let your customers know that. I will never rent from your company again. Tell us up front that we are getting a below rental car standards car. That may help us to go somewhere else the first time. Also the bill I paid was $17.91 more than CarRental.com quoted me. The difference seemed to be you added more taxes than they showed. Not good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Rented a midsize sub, was handed a small tiny one and told it's a midsize, my 3 year old found a beer can open with beer in the back which he poured all over himself. Manager and associates we're very rude. Did not want to offer any help. Do not go here, they are the worst of the worst.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Rented a car from Payless at the airport in Sarasota, FL. We had reserved the car online and was told the cost would be $356. When we picked up the car the guy at the counter said we were both required to initial and sign the document. What he had us sign was a form saying that we would both be drivers which allowed them to charge us an extra $200. They are a bait and switch organization and cannot be trusted. DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Traveling to Dallas to be with my son after a motorcycle accident and upcoming surgery. After booking flight on Expedia, I called to find the least expensive car rental and booked a small SUV at Payless for $316 for 5 days. Upon arrival in DFW, I was told they had no SUV and would I take a compact car... I said as long as it's the same price. She took my credit card and handed me a bill to sign for $446.00. I was told the amount was administrative fees! Tired and unable to leave airport without a car, I took it. The first thing I noticed is it smelled of urine. After arriving at my son's home, I immediately called Expedia who tried calling Payless and returned to tell me they advised him that they charged me $316 and offered no assistance.

I then called Payless at DFW myself and a gentleman informed me that customer service would call me within 2 hours... and I was forced to call them again. After getting no help on second attempt, my daughter in law, son and 3 grandkids proceeded to take the car back to rental location. There was no one at counter for at least 15 minutes and finally 2 employees appeared. I explained I did not want to continue this rental as it was overpriced and smells. She then hands me a receipt for over $300! Obviously I complained and she walks off for another half hour... I asked her coworker where she was and he said talking to the manager.

Finally she returns, says nothing and hands me another receipt for $150! I was told it was because I did not keep car for minimum amount of time and I did after all drive it off the lot! I asked to speak to the manager and was told that she was getting ready to leave. This darling girl then proceeds to remove the gas charge from the bill since I did bring the tank back full of gas. The next day I rented from Enterprise for the remainder of my trip for $138. All that I can say is for heaven's sake, do not for any reason rent from this company!

Original review: July 26, 2017

I made an online reservation 3 days in advance to secure the car needed for my business trip in Atlanta, Georgia coming from Los Angeles. Once I arrived at the Atlanta airport and to retrieve the car I reserved, which is an SUV, to my surprise, the vehicle was not available and was already given to another customer. In short, the reserved car is not there. The Employee in the name of Samantha was so rude that threaten to CANCEL THE RESERVATION. I said that there is no point to cancel since the car that I reserved is not available.

To get things complicated, they gave me a Sedan car, which has lower daily rent charge and did not bother to give me the discount for the difference. I was forced to take the small car out of necessity since I will be late for my business appointment. This employees has no customer service skills and rude. This company is not trustworthy. In short, this company will do a "BAIT & SWITCH" to lure prospective customer. What is the point of making a reservation when they don't honor it. I even ask for a discount but they made a silly excuse that their computer is down. I got charge for an SUV rate of $49.97/day rate that I reserved for 4 days when the car they gave me, a KIA car has only $24.12/day rate. This is what you called a HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS CAR RENTAL COMPANY.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I had to make a trip to Florida for a family emergency. I had reserved a car at Payless in the airport. The agent asked me if I wanted insurance and I declined. Between my personal auto policy and credit card I have that covered. He then asked me to initial several places and sign which I did without reading the agreement. (Lesson learned). I was distracted and in a rush and never even looked at the agreement until 2 days later when I called to extend my rental due to my family member still being hospitalized. That is when I noted I was charged $24.99 a day for insurance even though I had verbally declined it.

Not knowing how much longer I would need the car, I decided to drive the 60 miles each way to return the car and rent from another company. I went to the Payless counter to dispute the charge. I was told I had to call the 800 number to handle that. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there was not one on site and I had to call the number. I did call the number and was told that could only be handled at the Payless counter where I rented the car! I rented another car from Budget and it was so easy and I was not scammed into buying insurance I did not want. Yes, I will read a rental agreement closer in the future.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I called to verify I would be able to pick up car late at night as my flight had been delayed several hours. I was told yes but I would be charged over 30% more. When I went online to change the time it showed my reservation had been canceled. When I called Payless I was told the only thing they could do is make a new res. for even more $. Adding insult to injury I could barely hear the foreign employees.

Original review: July 19, 2017

We rented a car for our family vacation. Never received a confirmation email as promised but instead an email wanting us to purchase additional insurance. We have full coverage so we refused. We even showed them our insurance card at the desk. My husband wanted to pay cash for the car but they wouldn't accept that because then they can't screw you out of money later. I had to pay with my debit card so then they charged us for an additional driver since both of our names weren't on the card. I was not in on the previous conversation and was told to sign to authorize my card. My signature authorized insurance that we had refused and an additional driver that we did not need. They debited my account for $483 instead of $265. BEWARE!!! RIPOFF ARTISTS!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I rented a minivan for my family trip to D.C. and used Priceline for the reservation due to the decent price of the minivan they had available, and let me say that I wish I never rented from Payless. The first two days of the trip was good until the third day, while traveling on the interstate a small foreign object fell from under the vehicle in front of me and hit my windshield which left a small crack. I when I brought the rental car back no one was at the counter where I could ask any questions about the damage to the windshield. I asked the agent that was behind the Avis counter and she told me that she was out to lunch and didn't know when she would be back (you would think she would have an another person to take her place while she was out to lunch).

I tried on numerous occasions to speak with someone at customer service number and every time he refuses to discuss the issue or questions I have and tell me to complete an online complaint form, which still I don't get an answer to the question I am asking. When I asked to speak to a manager to help me with this he hung up on me. You have by far the worst customer service for a company I have ever experienced, and by reading other reviews of this company on Yelp I see why my customer service experience was awful.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had the worst Hertz customer service experience that I needed to return their car to another location instead of extending the car rental. So I was said to return the car to San Jose Airport or else the car will be reported as a stolen car. I arrived at San Jose airport gave the car back to Hertz. Now I was stuck at San Jose, California and needed to go back home at Reno, Nevada.

I was so desperate to go home, so I checked every car rental company at San Jose, California looking for the cheapest and the best car that I can have for one way going to Reno, Nevada. I went to "PAYLESS" Car Rental and their agent named Humberto was trying to get me a car and so eager to send me back to my place, Reno. He gave me the best deal out of all the car rental company in San Jose Airport. I am so so blessed that I met this guy and this company. They're the reason why right now, I am sitting here in my couch in my room at Reno, NV. Thanks guys, thanks Humberto from Payless San Jose Airport. Cheers!

Original review: July 16, 2017

In Richmond, VA... My 94 year old was left outside for two hours while we waited for a customer service person to show up and help us upon returning a car... they refused to call for wheel chair service and when I spoke to the young lady of ** descent she immediately told me she is not responsible for helping to get a wheel chair for my elderly father. She was belligerent and very abrupt. She would not provide her name and said if I did not like the way she was treating us that I should call 1-800-payless. My father had a heat stroke and I had to immediately run into the airport and try to find an attendant with a wheel chair. The woman who eventually showed up to work said they are not responsible for providing help in obtaining wheel chair service for the elderly sick client and that if I did not like this call 1-800 payless... and asked me to leave the counter.

I agreed to pay $25.00 per day for a rental and upon return the agent was not at work and I was charged a late fee of $75.00. Please remove these erroneous charges from my American Express Card. This employee should be fired. I told her about the charges and she would not refund it. My father is under the care of a MD Dr. and is being treated for heat exhaustion. Please remove these erroneous fees and have a regional manager contact me to make sure this employee is retrained or removed as a customer service representative for Payless as she has disregard for customer service.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Nearly a month after dropping the car off and watching a woman inspect the car and notify us that there were no problems, I received an unknown charge on my credit card for $75. Later, I received a letter in the mail notifying me that I was charged a $75 cleaning fee because of "excess dirt/sand" in the rear of the car. Not only did we watch a woman inspect the car upon its return and say there were no issues; no one in my party ever used the rear of the car, and no one did anything that even involved stepping in dirt or sand. When I notified Payless that they made a mistake with their charge, they were entirely unhelpful taking weeks to respond and telling me it was my responsibility even if I didn't cause the mess. Please beware of mystery charges even after drop off. It seems like they're only able to keep rental car costs down by charging consumers later with completely fake fees.

Original review: July 8, 2017

My wife rented a car to visit our son. Upon arriving from her flight, she called for their shuttle pickup. She made six separate calls, when no one came. After waiting over an hour and a half, she gave up and found the shuttle driver for another rental company. So, here is what we learned: On a Saturday, mid-day, they had only one shuttle. The shuttle driver was not even going to her terminal. There was no manager to contact. The people kept hanging up on me, when I tried to resolve it for her. For the absent branch manager, I was given the office number, being told it was his cell phone number.

I could not get their national customer service people to resolve it, being transferred by their automated phone system to rental car reservations and then being placed on hold for over ten minutes, when I was told by the representative that she was getting her supervisor for me to speak to. The only reason that I am writing this review is that no one seemed to care enough to help my wife or me. Maybe this will help them to care more. Unless they make it right with me and make changes to their company, I could not recommend reserving a car with them in Minneapolis.

Original review: July 8, 2017

The worse company I have ever dealt with. They were so insistent on getting their $50 fee after I canceled despite my 3 phone calls. I cancelled 7 days in advance. I did NOT receive any service or product for this money; they could care less! GO TO HERTZ!

Original review: July 6, 2017

We rented a Jeep Cherokee from Payless Rental in San Diego. The counterperson was persistent in trying to sell me unneeded services. When I picked up the Jeep Cherokee I had rented the inside of the windshield and several side windows were filthy. The passenger side front window was covered with footprints. It was obvious the car had been run through a carwash but no effort was made to clean the inside.

Original review: July 1, 2017

We reserved a car at DFW on 6/26/17 because of the great price advertised online. Upon arrival at the rental facility on the shuttle, during business hours, there was nobody working at the Payless counter. Nobody! Thinking they may be in the back, we waited several minutes, then called the number on the reservation. It said to press 6 for a rental agent. After pressing 6, there was just dead air. It didn't even ring or connect. I called two more times, same thing, so something is also wrong with their phone system or IVR. A lady standing nearby charging her phone spoke up and said she hadn't seen anyone working at Payless, and that another customer had walked over to Budget and was now in line with Budget instead. After 15 minutes of waiting, we walked over to Enterprise and received wonderful service. Unreal. Never again.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I Pre-trip rented a vehicle from Payless. When I picked up the car it was filthy. On my way to my dad's house, I realized the headlights were out. So I called them right away to let them know I would return the car the next day for an exchange. The attendant checked the car out and said the batteries were dying. The car I received was also filthy. No windshield wiper fluid and no gas. Now 2 months later, they are trying to pin me as the person who "damaged the 1st car". I did not do this. This company has incompetent people working for them. As you can see, somebody is not doing their job of cleaning and making sure these cars are rental ready. PLEASE spare yourself the agony of incompetent people who don't do a good job. I have rented many cars and have never had an experience like this. I will not rent a vehicle from Payless ever again.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I rented a car in Reno Nevada through Expedia, a company I have used before. I was given an itinerary and statement of charges. The price was to be $44.40 and an extra day was to be charged at $22.26 a day. The salesperson, Penny at Payless told me I would need to use chains if I was going over the pass and suggested an All Wheel drive vehicle... she gave me several rates verbally, all of which I declined. THEN suddenly she had a AWD for only $5.00 a day more. She asked if she could just credit me the $15.00 that she had entered??? On a car which would have been $10.00 a day more?

The car was rented for three days but my bill at pickup was DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF MY CONTRACT. The staff at Payless were dishonest, fraudulent and I am furious. I have since seen a bill that I NEVER SAW was submitted by Payless to my Master Card where I had started a dispute. It has been nearly 4 months, over which I have completed five long phone calls to Master Card, sent all my documentation via fax which cost me an additional $10.00 to send and the issue is still not resolved.

Payless is a total scam and I would like to file a class action lawsuit against these idiots... now they are reopening the case and I must do it all again? I have spent countless hours of my valuable time only to hear the same baloney. My itinerary from Expedia is number ** confirmation number is **. I never was given my initialed copy back, by daily rate was doubled and they charged a $10.00 late fee!

Original review: June 25, 2017

I made a reservation for a midsize car to be picked-up June 17, 2017 and dropped-off June 24, 2017 from Payless Car Rental in Orlando, Florida. The total price, including all mandatory taxes and fees was $251.82 ($181.06 Base Price + $70.76 Taxes & Fees). Although the agent at the Payless counter in Orlando tried to sell me all types of additional insurance, products and services; I declined all and advised the agent that I only wanted the Base Price and mandatory taxes and fees included in my rental agreement. I signed an agreement showing that I declined Optional Products/Services.

The agreement I signed showed an Estimated Total Charge of $335.11, which the agent explained was to cover charges for not bring the car back with a full tank of gas and any toll charges not paid. I advised the agent that I would fill the tank before returning the car and pay any toll charges I incur. The agent ensured me that this was just an estimate and no additional amounts would be charged to me if I returned the car with a full tank and did not have any toll charges.

When I returned the car, I was charged $335.11. When I questioned the agent receiving the returned car, she advised that I would have to proceed to the Payless booth in the garage to dispute the charges. When I went to the Payless booth in the garage, the agent at the booth acknowledged that I returned the car with a full tank and that was the only charge he could remove. As a result, he reduced the charge by $34.17, leaving a new charge of $300.94. The agent at the booth advised that I would have to return to the agent at the Payless counter in the terminal to dispute the remaining charges.

When I returned to the Payless counter in the terminal, the agent told me that I had a mandatory charge that was required by the State of Florida which was shown in the rental agreement as 1 RSP $5.99/DY 41.93/WK. The agent that prepared my rental agreement, number **, on June 17, 2017 was the same agent at the counter on June 24, 2017 when I returned the car. I advised the agent that I declined all optional insurance, products and services. Further, I had a confirmation letter from Payless showing my total price for the rental was $251.82, which price was the Base Price including all mandatory taxes and fees.

The agent advised that because the 1 RSP 5.99/Dy 41.93/WK was a State mandate, she could not refund the charges. Because I had already been given the run around and had a flight to catch, I could not argue my point any further with the agent. However, because of Payless deceptive practices, I was charged $49.12 in excess of my agreement.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I rented a truck F-150 with a back seat and a cover over the bed. Went to pick it up and they didn't have the cover on the truck. I was like I need something where I can put my bags so they don't get wet. They gave me another Dodge Journey. I got it home. It was dirty in the inside and had bugs in the back seat... You pay $300 you want a clean car.

Original review: June 19, 2017

After declining collision and liability, and initialing, the correct amount of 101.59, my credit card was charged 172.99 which was the amount which included those insurance options. They are very crooked. I would advise anyone to steer clear of this company.

Original review: June 14, 2017

After making reservations online for a full-size car, a prepayment of $283.89 and declining all their other offers of more insurance, products and services I arrived in San Antonio. Miguel, the agent, again tried to influence me into more insurance stating that all of the charges incurred because of accidents or damages would have to be borne by me because my insurance wouldn't cover everything. I had to tell him “no” about three times because he was very persistent. Then I was told he didn't have a sedan for me and the only thing available was an SUV. I told him I didn't care for SUV's and then he offered me a pick-up. I took the SUV. He hurriedly had me sign and initial the rental agreement.

I saw that all of the optional products and services had "declined" after each service/product. What I didn't see right below, was an item shown as 1 RSP 5.99/Dy 41.93/WK{{{{/MX. I thought it was part of the line above which was for supplemental liability insurance and it showed as "declined". Nowhere on the "RSP" line did it show "accepted". When I returned the car, the receipt was printed and handed to me. On the way to the airport, I looked at the receipt and saw an additional charge of $60.80.

Back in Denver, I called the customer service number on the website and spoke with a rep and asked about the charge. That is when I was told, I had been charged for the "RSP" which is for roadside assistance and other things which are already covered by my Geico insurance. I asked why would I decline everything else and accept something I didn't need. The agent said he would look into it but I have heard nothing. Payless inquired about the rental on Twitter. I responded about the fraudulent charges and their deceiving rental agreements. They tweeted back and asked for the rental agreement. I have answered back five times and they keep asking for the rental agreements and I keep sending the information and have to hear anything else. I have already reported this to the BBB in San Antonio and my credit card company.

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.
    • Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.
    • Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.
    • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.
    • Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.
    • Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.
    Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information