1.07/5

1084 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I reserved a car for the quoted rate of $282. I was SHOCKED to see $1,462 on my credit card. They refuse to discuss on the phone and they basically said “too bad” with no explanation for the difference in their email response. Contact me if you are interested in hearing more about this experience. It’s absolute fraud. I noticed other articles and BBB reviews citing similar experiences. I wish I had read the articles before. Someone needs to stop them!

Original review: April 1, 2019

This company is **. They overcharged me like crazy, a whopping $511.33 for 1 day's worth of rental which should be $65.91. Then they said they’d credit me around $300+. Sent me a receipt which shows a charge of $49.95 for FUEL even though I returned the vehicle w/ a FULL tank. So now twice, they attempt to overcharge me. Their customer service is a joke. Filed a complaint with BBB and Attorney General of Florida. Still waiting to hear from Paycrap.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Rental car broke down in the middle of nowhere. Payless told me to call roadside assistance. Roadside assistance said that I had to pay for the tow because I declined roadside assistance. Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t. Besides the point. The car malfunction was due to their lack of maintenance. My son and I sat on the side of the highway for 5 hours before I finally called CHP. The highway patrol gave us a ride to the nearest town. LMAO! Way to go Payless. Congratulations Payless for winning the worse customer service award. And another congratulations for leaving your customers stranded on a busy highway!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I booked a rental car in Florida from Payless, for an agreed price. Before l left home l called several times asking them to verify the pricing, and both times they assured me the price was correct, and there would be no additional charges. Thus assured, l picked up the car, trusting them at their word, which they lied to my face about at the checkout counter again, sneaking in charges for roadside assistance, transponder charges which were not even needed in Tampa, etc. When l got home and saw how dishonest they had been, l called them to complain. They refused to do anything about it, saying l signed the agreement at the counter when l picked up the car, so too bad! By the way, the Better Business Bureau has issued a national consumer alert about Payless. Should be renamed "Paymore". Lesson learned... Next time I'll read the contract before signing and walk away if that happens again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We couldn't care less that our car was covered with dings and dents - it was the threatening, aggressive upsell pitch from the man at the check-in. We nearly walked away. I would have rather used Uber or Lyft. I won't use Payless again. I was glad I had my rental agreement printed out because what he wanted us to sign was for double the quote.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Worst car rental experience in my life. Not located at the airport, extra-long shuttle wait, extremely long wait to get car (only one employee at counter), reserved car not available (downgraded to a mid-size SUV for the same price), off-site hours 7-11 had to have someone take me to the airport for my 8:20 AM return flight, charged additional $$ for car, customer service # goes to India and they can't tell you why there were extra charges (which ended up being a late fee because the location did not check my car in that I had to drop-off before business hours until the next day). Finally got the refund for the extra charges but that took five days. Never, ever again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Wish I had checked the reviews for Payless car rental in Houston, TX. When picking it up they said it was inspected with no issues. They said if any dents larger than a quarter or scratched larger than a dollar bill occur I will need to pay for damages. Before I even got close to the car I could see a dent. Then I found another one. I documented that on the paperwork and had a worker acknowledge it. The worker was rude. Then the second night I was pulled over for no taillights.

I called the emergency number and there wasn't much they could do so I waited until morning for a new car to be delivered but then they said they did not have time to deliver a new vehicle but I could drive there to pick it up. This was about an hour away. I would have to cancel my plans and waste money for reservations I had so I just drove the car during the day. For the next 3 days we had to do all our plans quickly so we could get back to the hotel before dark. This was so inconvenient. I emailed the manager twice (Ed **) and never received a response back. Would of been nice to know all this before using Payless. This was my first and last time using them.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I rented a compact from their website however at counter I was told the only thing available was a VW Beetle which he argued was similar to a four door compact. My only option was a Camry upgrade which started at an extra $12 a day then he dropped to $9 and when I continued to question he dropped to $9. I had no choice but to sign for the Camry which ended up well over $200 more. When I went to the parking garage I could see a number of compact cars but not one Beetle. The young lady working there confirmed that they did not have any Beetles there and she cancelled the Camry and gave me a compact for the original price I had booked. The guy at the desk lied to my face and scammed me... To me this is Fraud.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I do not have the time to sit here and write my complaint. This is by far the worse company ever. They operate one hell of a scam!!! I rented the car at the price I was quoted. Once I returned the car, I fly home after my vacation. Little did they know that I was going to be that ONE customer who would check his credit card. When I did, they had charged me $102 more than expected. After spending some time, I finally opened a ticket. Going back and forth with over 20 messages between us, they finally said that if I provide receipts for the gas, they would refund me.

You see, they started that they had to put 8 gallons of fuel in the vehicle. After I swore a little bit, and got angry I showed proof of fuel. Now they credited me the $102, and closed the ticket. Not a Sorry Sir, apologize, or our mistake sir. Just credited the money. My time is worth so much more, and I or my business will NEVER DO BUSINESS with them again. They are a Scam, and they hope that none sees their credit card, so that you do not notice. They are unprofessional, rude, disrespectful, and lawless. Glad I did business with them, cause now I know where not to go.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

From start to finish, my experience with this company was horrendous. I had originally booked a full size car with Payless through Expedia. The total cost that was due via Expedia was $87. I opted to purchase $40 collision insurance through Expedia as well as rentals are not covered under my personal policy with Progressive. When I arrived at the rental pick up, I was pressured by the customer service agent multiple times to purchase additional insurance, upgrade the car, purchase prepaid gas, etc. The prepaid gas option was especially confusing as they charged $2 a gallon when the cost of gas off site was $1.81 at the time. The customer service agent laughed at me when I declined and assured me that their option was cheaper. I again declined. I signed the necessary paperwork and was handed the key.

The customer service agent told me to go out into the lot and hit the panic button and I would find it. I found the car easily enough (a mini van) and was on my way. I will say that the car was clean and ran well. I returned the car early on Monday with a full tank of gas as I was instructed. Later that day I noticed that my account had been charged much more than I had anticipated. $143.88 was withdrawn as opposed to the $87 I had expected. I tried to call Payless customer service/billing to no avail. You are not able to speak to someone about your questions or concerns.

The only avenue to have an issue addressed is to open a “ticket” on their website that someone may or may not respond to. I expressed my issues and awaited a reply. The reply stated that since I had already paid and the reservation was closed, they could offer me no refund. I stated this was unacceptable I explained that if any additional costs had been added, it had been against my will and without my permission. They responded by sending me a receipt of services that I had initiated. Indeed on the receipt, the customer service agent had added additional liability insurance of $16.25 per day that I had absolutely not accepted.

My mistake was trusting this agent and company to not charge me for something I had verbally denied. I will never use this company again and would not recommend it to anyone else. The customer service was callous and unhelpful. The staff was rude and condescending. I would assume that it would be more beneficial to go with a larger rental car company such as Enterprise or Hertz even if the rentals are at a slightly higher cost. They at least seem to run their business with an ounce of honesty and dignity.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We arrived at rental desk after long travel and late at night. The clerk explained only some of the additional expenses incurred. My fault for not reading although I was very tired from travel. What should have been a $182 charge ended up $369 due to several "additional fees". However, I did write a letter explaining that their business practice was deceitful in not fully explaining all charges, but they have yet to give me the courtesy of a replay after 4 months. I will never rent a car again from Payless Car Rental.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This was the WORST rental car experience in my life. I called the 1-800 to extend my car rental. The customer service agent said that he wasn't able to assist me and I would have to contact Payless directly in ATL. I called ATL and was routed back to the main reservation number. I explained to the next agent that I called ATL several times and I keep getting routed back to the main number.

I asked if he could help me and he said he was unable. He suggested that I return to the airport in Atlanta to see if they could extend the reservation. I was 2 hours away from the Atlanta airport and I am being told to return to one of the world's busiest airport to see if they can extend the rental. That was beyond ridiculous and absurd. I tried calling Atlanta again and was routed back to the main number. This representative told me to press 5. I call Atlanta again and press 5. After pressing 5, I am routed back to the main number again. I asked for a supervisor and the representative never transferred me to one. He said that there wasn't anything he could do to help me.

The next morning, I called again. The representative said he would email my request. I was given a ticket number. He said I would receive an email within the next hour with an answer to my request. I NEVER received an email. I called back again and gave a different representative my ticket number. He said that he couldn't help because they were still waiting on a response. This was truly one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever endured. Payless rental car is a company the exemplifies horrible customer service. I would never rent from this company. DO NOT RENTAL FROM PAYLESS CAR.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Worst rental experience in 30 years of renting cars. No confirmation email. Closed locations still on listed on the web. Incompetent phone service. Incompetent desk service. Car not ready. Asking the same question over and over. Incorrect info about shuttle. Inconsistent incorrect info about payment refund policy plus.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This company has the worst customer service. I booked a car with this company as a local renter. Please be advised that there are restrictions on local residents. The rep at the counter would not apply any reasonableness to the situation at hand. Due to being a local renter they require documents that support you being a local resident. One of the documents can be a current utility bill. Since my utility bill was not current I asked could I suppose a receipt of payment in full due to the fact that statements are only generated every 30 days. The answer was no. I then asked, "Is there any other document that you would accept?' The answer was no.

After leaving the airport via Uber that cost $20. I called the corporate office and was informed that a bank statement pay stub or a current utility bill would suffice for supporting documents for a local residents are then return back to the airport to see why was I given misinformation. The response was, "Well we prefer utility statements." The website does not say prefer. The website says that supporting documents would be current utility bill pay stub or bank statement. After it has been acknowledged that a mistake has been made... now there are no cars available. I then wait for over 2 hours. Again I am inconvenience due to the poor customer service and poorly ran establishment. I speak with a supervisor and she doesn't offers or willing to make any concessions. I would I strongly advise any consumer not to deal with Payless Rental. They are very unprofessional and unethical.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My family had to travel to Pittsburgh for a funeral so I reserved a car from Payless and requested a toddler seat for my son. When we arrived at the post office no one was available in the airport so we had to go outside to the parking garage and see an attendant. The attendant handed me the keys and made me retrieve the car at the other end of the parking garage and drive it to the booth to check out. When we arrived at the booth he did not have the booster seat that we requested. We had to rent a car from a different company and had to spend double. Thanks for nothing Payless.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Do not rent from this disgusting company! If you don’t take their upgrades then they (Nathan) becomes rude! He argued that we didn’t have proper insure, which we did. When I highlighted the coverage on our papers he blamed us & refused to apologize. He then intentionally typed in our credit card number incorrectly & told us that our credit card had been rejected. I went outside & bought a drink with the same card, then called my bank to find out what he had done. I’m certain it was intentional. Each time he blamed us for everything that went wrong. Total jerks!! Now I discovered that we were overcharged so I have another fight in my hands.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We rented a SUV Mitsubishi Outlander from Payless Rental Cars in Puerto Rico because they were the only company with vehicle availability through the Southwest app or otherwise. We were hesitant to rent because of all the negative reviews. However, we proceeded carefully knowing it could have been problematic. We arrived via plane to the airport and waited over an hour to get a shuttle to the Payless rental car station, which was located outside of the airport.

We called several times and they would just reiterate that someone was on the way each time. When we reached the counter, they tried giving full size SUV away to someone who had booked a standard vehicle and was attempting to upgrade it. I objected to that since he did not have a reservation and I already did. Suspiciously, Payless also preferred that I just use the credit card for my insurance, rather than my insurance company. At the time, I thought nothing of it, but it stood out as unusual. Anyway, the customer service was terrible. The tried to avoid inspecting the vehicle prior to my signing for it. They glanced over major damage and we had to insist that he document the pre-existing damage the was present.

After documenting it with a “S” for scratch, we took the vehicle. We drove it without any issues. When we went to return the car, they immediately tried claiming that there was no pre-existing damage. We showed them the documentation, and they responded that the pre-existing damage was not that bad. A different person, inspected it during the day and wrote a slightly different code. The code was “MB” for missing/broken. The state of the vehicle was unchanged evident by pictures of the vehicle that we had taken before and after. They took over an hour to “handle” the situation and delayed our transit to the airport. They charged my credit card for the deductible without my consent. When I found out what they were trying to do, I tried to freeze my credit card, but was unable to do it before they charged me again.

When I looked at my charges, I noticed that Payless had actually charged the full amount for the rental up front and not when I returned the vehicle. I asked to speak to a supervisor to show the pictures and state my case but they refused to listen. I called Southwest to report the situation and they sent me a form for me to complete and reported that it would take months for them to verify the details and that I would not be reimbursed. This is a fraudulent business. I imagine that they are not permitted to do business on airport grounds because they are not legitimate. I will never rent from them again. I suggest that you beware and avoid them altogether, if at all possible.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I rented a car and went to pick it up at 8 pm at night, so it was dark out. No one from, the company came out to inspect the car with me and I didn't think about trying to take pics at night. The next morning when I got in the car to drive, I noticed numerous dings, scratches, and paint chips all over the car, but by this point the car had been in my possession all night (in my driveway).

I drove the car to my destination, backed it into a parking spot at the hotel, and there it sat until I drove it home. They filed a claim saying I dented the trunk lid. How does that happen when a car is backed into a parking spot and left there? Mind you, there was a curb behind me, not another vehicle. I take the car back, turn it in, and again no one comes out to check the vehicle, even when I asked them to. Turned it in at 6pm and they didn't check it for damage until the following morning at almost 9am. It sat in the car rental parking lot the entire night, where who knows what could have happened, and now I'm having to deal with a bogus claim. I will not be renting from them again, and if you do...TAKE PICS, even if it's nighttime, cause now it's my word against theirs.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

In October of 2018 I reserved a car with Payless through Southwest Airlines that clearly stated on the reservation Unlimited Mileage at no-charge. When I arrived at the Payless counter in San Diego during a casual conversation the Payless employee questioned my destination which I freely told him was Yuma, AZ and was headed there as my son who is a US Marine is stationed there was having back surgery on the following Tuesday. I was then told by the Payless employee that there was going to be a Zone 3 $150.00 mileage charge as I was not staying in the San Diego area. I was told if I did not agree to the charge and sign the rental agreement I could go elsewhere to get a rental car. As my son was having back surgery in Yuma, Az the following Tuesday he left me no choice but to agree to the charges or risk no car rental and not being with my son during his surgery.

As my original reservation agreement clearly stated unlimited mileage and a total figure of $226.97 this is the amount I expected to pay. I was given a take it or leave it and go elsewhere option by the employee and I choose to take it and deal with it at a later date rather than risk missing my son's surgery. I do not agree with the charge even though I did sign the rental agreement as I was given an ultimatum by the Payless employee even though I presented him with a copy of the original rental reservation information from Southwest Airlines. This will be the last time I rent a car from Payless and would suggest others be wary of the Unlimited Mileage claim that is given by this organization.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

The car broke down. They took hours to get me a tow because they reported my location wrong. They reported the location of the car wrong again and then accused me of stealing it. Now they're charging me for the car even though it was a mechanical issue and I didn't buy their insurance so I might have to actually pay it and not even get a car out of the deal. Plus they keep upping the amount they say I owe. This is a terrible company and it's linked with Avis and Budget so they're probably crap too. I legitimately hope the business fails and falls apart.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

What a total shame this place is. They advertise at 20/30 dollars a day. Had a crap compact for two days and 1 hour and cost me $260 after all their bs fees which when questioned about they couldn’t/wouldn’t explain. Zero Stars. ** Payless and change your name.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Payless Car Rental (Payless) deserves an 'F' grade as far as I'm concerned. Let me be clear: I am not someone who takes the time to write reviews very often; however, Payless' conduct has been so egregious that I had to work the crafting of this review into my busy schedule. Also, this is NOT defamation; I have time-date stamped photos, message-board conversation, and three witnesses; all of which can verify the details of this submission. Finally, Payless was pre-warned of this review's pending publication and was given an opportunity to defend its behaviour (an opportunity that has yet to be utilized).

The review: I rented a car from Payless in Las Vegas for six days this past September. The company's agent refused to complete a condition report at the outset -- so I took my own photos instead. Then the agent implied that the vehicle was fine when I returned it on September 13. Forty-six days later(!) Payless wrote a letter addressed to me which contained an accusation that I had caused damage to one of the vehicle's tail lamps during the rental period (said damage is clearly visible in my photos which were taken minutes before I ever put the vehicle in "drive").

Payless then charged my Visa credit card $437.38 USD without my permission (presumably they were able to do this because of some unread contract clause-- not unlike if a hotel were to later charge someone for damage inflicted to one of its rooms or property-- although Visa reversed the charge when I disputed it as being unauthorized later).

As a result of a local postal strike I did not receive Payless' letter until November 8, which is the same day Payless received a heated reaction from me. Following the conversation a member of their staff created an online service ticket designed to handle the dispute; then from November 9 to November 28 I spent precious life-hours going back and forth with The Payless Customer Service Lead (The Lead).

The Lead's first message to me stated: "...it has been determined that this incident was the driver’s responsibility..." and "...Because this is a renter responsibility situation, the charges have been deemed to be valid and a refund is not warranted..." It was DETERMINED? HOW?! When pressed to reveal the proof that I had inflicted the damage, The Lead dodged the demand and asked me to defend myself by submitting the non-existent condition report. When pressed again she stated that "We have forwarded your information to the location for further review." When given a deadline and threatened with negative reviews she continued to offer no proof but did offer to refund 50% of my $437.38 USD.

Finally, when given a deadline and threatened with possible legal action she finally conceded that there is "no documentation on their side." Payless promptly refunded my money and stated: "We apologize for any difficulties you may have experienced during your rental. We hope you continue to choose Payless Car Rental as your rental car company of choice." "NO DOCUMENTATION ON THEIR SIDE" ever existed... And yet I was subjected to a lengthy and stressful process. Payless Car Rental: F.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I rented from this company because they had a lower rate online. After I returned the vehicle, they charged me for a full tank of gas $44 and an additional $88. YOU ARE CROOKS!!! I will review you anywhere I can online to warn others of your practice. CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS. ASKED FOR AN ITEMIZED RECEIPT BEFOREHAND.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This company is pulling a classic scam. They are offering by far the lowest rate on Expedia. When you get there you cannot get the booked rate. They insist you have your proof of insurance. No other car rental company demands this. You just sign a waiver. If you do happen to have it they ask for other documents like outbound flight proof. If you can't supply they offer you a walk-in rate. Of course you have already waited 30 minutes for their bus and are marooned in their lot. Having tipped the bus driver he stopped by the gate where I was waiting for an UBER. "He asked what scam they had attempted on me"!!!! Everyone is a MUG if they don't walk away. DO NOT BE LULLED BY THEIR LOW PRICES.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I rented a mid-size SUV through Expedia for my weekend trip in Colorado from Payless. I had one cost agreed to when I made the reservation and at the counter it became over double the cost. They said part of it was because I was "checking in early". My reservation was for 4 pm and I was at the counter at 3:40 pm. When I returned the car I got a bill for $63.27 additional with them saying I didn't return the car until the next day. Wrong again. I had to provide a copy of my flight itinerary to get them to credit my card.

Two weeks later they bill my credit card again only this time for "Toll charges" and I never once traveled on a toll road. The toll was charged in November-when I wasn't even in Colorado. There is no way to reach them by phone and resolve the issue-they force you to fill out an online complaint form. This makes two fraudulent charges on my Visa.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We rented a car in San Diego in late October. The experience was not what we were expecting. They lie and try to trick you into paying more for upgrades. The car was disgusting and I felt like I needed another shower after driving it. I will NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We booked online and ended up being nickel and dimed to death with fees so paid twice what we expected for a crappy little Nissan. Notice that your confirmation does not have an am or pm so they tried to charge me a late fee for not turning my car in at 3:30 am. I know I selected pm online. They also try to talk you into paying $10-25 more per day for an all wheel vehicle because there might be snow. Like a front wheel drive won't work in snow. I wish I could post you my bill so you can see how shady this company truly is. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERE. I wish I would've checked more online reviews as there are articles warning against it. HEED the WARNINGS! RENT elsewhere! You can tell the counter representatives see every person walking in as a SUCKER! Denver Airport Location.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Rented a Payless car thru Kayak website for a few days in Orlando Airport area. Returned it today 10 Nov 2018. Gal with dark hair tried to aggressively double my cost when I rented it. I told her I didn't need any insurance cost and she quickly said it's required several times. She also increased tax double what my rate on website was. I won't rent from them again...very aggressive and not at all ethical.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was told it would be $160 for a weekend. I was charged $346. I couldn't find the fine print where the would justify the hidden fees. It appears that the fees only appear on the final receipt. I'm pretty sure they just lied and stole my money.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Payless has an F rating from the BBB for deceptive business practices. That's all you need to know. I wish I had, they offered me a "free" upgrade, but ended up charging me an extra $113 for insurance. I declined. Should be to easy to fix right? Nope, they fought me tooth and nail for three months, refunded half, then took it all back when my credit card company got involved. I've since found out this is a common practice, the desk agent will tell you to sign to decline, but you are actually accepting the insurance. I will never use these guys again. You shouldn't either.

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information