1.06/5
Based on 96 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 18, 2018

1011 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM PAYLESS! We rented a car at Denver airport, midsize for $201 only to be charged on our credit card for $455. The car was in poor condition, there were duct tape marks on the driver's and passenger’s door looking like the doors had been duct taped closed at some time! When we picked up the car, the agent asked us if we wanted the insurance, we said no we do not, like we always do and she said okay, initial here and pointed to where we should decline.

My husband just initialed where she told him to, but unbeknownst to him she pointed to accepting the insurance and he initialed it and signed the contract. When we called them they were very rude and kept repeating “clearly you accepted the insurance and signed the contract.” Now I get it, our bad for not looking closely at the spot he initialed, but EVERY time we rent a car we decline insurance, initial where they tell us and a charged what we rented tow car for with no surprises. We feel like we were scammed especially reading reviews saying the same thing, being overcharged and ripped off. They are a horrible company and should be reported to the Better Business Bureau! Never never never again!

Original review: April 16, 2018

My wife had to make a quick trip to California to take care of her sister that had emergency surgery. Booked a vehicle with Payless for $198 for five days. When she got there they told her she needed to buy the insurance which made the bill $598 for five days. I contacted them and politely said too bad. Wish I would have checked this site. I never would have booked with them. My opinion they could care less about customers coming back. They just want to get all they can any way they can the first time.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Only giving one star because sadly 0 stars is not an option. Let's begin the story of this horrible experience. First I arrived at Newark International after having done a reservation online only to be told my reservation could not be found but of course my credit card had already been charged online. I had to sit on the side and let my credit card company know there would be a second charge from the same location but to cancel the first one. Then when we finally get back to the counter the lady who was there was very sweet and willing to help but of course even that was too good to be true at this point. She goes on to explain that they cannot honor the rate I had already reserved and paid online even though I had all the information in an email because she simply couldn’t find it on her end.

From $130 that I had paid online she tells me the most affordable rate she could give me being the situation was $270. Mind you the $130 I had paid online was with insurance, the $270 was not including anything. I asked how much the insurance would be. She laughs and says $340. That was more than the rental itself! Umm no. I told her I had full coverage insurance of my own which I would use for the vehicle itself but to put an insurance for the tires because well we were in New Jersey/New York and our tax dollars are obviously not going to fixing the potholes. She went on to tell me that the $270 did include a $500 tire and rim protection. Well perfect I thought. After about 2 hours into this mess we are finally given the keys. Mind you I had a two year old and one year old with me. After loading the car with all of our stuff we go to pull off and it starts drizzling.

We turn on the wipers and the blade flies off the car. We turn back to the counter inform them and we are given another car. We inspect it, then load and finally we’re on our way. When its time to return the rental you go in thru a different entrance. There is a pothole about the size of Texas. This thing was huge. Almost 3 feet wide and about 6 inches deep. With a pothole this size right on the exit to return the car it's a little unavoidable to hit. Of course we go into the damn pothole. One of the Tires flies into the air and we are on 3 tires. Get out the car to find the tire had obviously popped and the tire cover, not a rim, the tire cover, had obviously bent beyond recognition. Find a spare in the trunk, replace it and we are off to return the rental from hell. Go inside and try to explain to the lady at the counter what had happened so I can do a damage report.

She checks my rental agreement and says “no need for a report, you have the tire and rim protection. You’re covered “. Takes my paperwork and I’m done. Soooo I thought. Get back home to Florida and a week later I receive a bill from the corporate office informing me that in 7 days from the mailing date they would be charging my credit card $317 for the tire and Rim damage. First of all there was no Rim on the vehicle. And with that being said I have never paid $300 for a tire. I called more than 30 times explained, that I had the Tire and Rim protection that this charge was not fair. The response I received via email because I was never able to speak to a real person was “we understand that an unexpected charge to one's credit card can be frustrating but since we ensure our vehicles are safe and up to safety standards. We believe the charge is in fact justified so we will still be charging your credit card for the amount of $317."

I called 100 more times. Waited on hold one time for 4 hours for a supervisor who when answered told me I needed to go to the physical location I rented the vehicle from and explain this there and then hung up on me. After waiting four hours to be hung up on!!! On one of the previous calls one guy told me they had no actual solutions. He said all the decisions came from corporate and that even after speaking to a supervisor he would just read me the letter I was sent in different words. This is not ok. These people take advantage of these situations to take people's money and well if you ask me if I’d recommend or rent with them again the answer is hellllll to the noooo. Not even if it was the last place on Earth during a zombie apocalypse. Do not rent from there people. They will steal your money.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I reserved a rental car through Travelocity for Phoenix, Ariz to pick up the car 3/11/2018 and return the car 3/18/2018. The contract with Travelocity said $452.97 for the week. I realize there are a lot of taxes on rental cars in Phoenix, and we have rented a car probably 12-13 years in Phoenix. I anticipated my bill being around $700 with taxes. I asked for a 4 door car. When we got to airport, I was told no 4 door cars were available, but we could upgrade to a 4 door for $7 additional dollars a day. We also added a second driver at the airport for another $8 a day. On 3/18/2018 when we returned the car at approximately 8:30-9:00 because I had a 10:30 flight, the attendants said the computer was down and they could not close our contract that that time. They said they would send us an e-mail receipt once the contract was closed. I waited a few days and had not gotten a receipt from Payless.

I checked my bank to see if Payless had accessed my account to pay the bill. It was $1,212!!! On 3/29/2018 I contacted Payless by phone to dispute the charges and to try to get a refund. I spoke with a "Bernard" I explained to him what had happened. He asked if I had ever gotten a copy of my receipt. I had not. He sent me a copy of the receipt within a couple hours. When I got the receipt I noticed I had been charged $49 a day for the upgrade from 2-4 doors. I had agreed to a $7 a day upgrade for the 4 doors. I had been charged $91 a day to rent a Ford Edge with 4 doors!! I also had been charged an extra day, $91 for returning the vehicle late. I told him the computers were down when I returned the car to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and I was not given a receipt. My flight was Delta # 2160 from Phoenix to Salt Lake City. It left Phoenix at 10:30 AM. He said he would open a dispute ticket up for me and I would hear back within 72 working hours.

I did not hear anything back from Payless. On 4/9/2018 I called Payless again and asked about my overcharge and my refund. I was advised that I should have checked the car in before 3:45 on 3/18/2018 and that is why I was charged the extra day. I reminded him their computers were down that day and I could not close the contract. I also reminded him that I had agreed to a $7 a day upgrade to get 4 doors, for 7 days. It should have been $49 for the whole week. Instead I was charged $49 a day for the upgrade. Payless told me today I should have caught that before I left their facility on the day I picked up the car. It is a clear mistake on their part and it should be refunded!! I paid $91 a day for a 4 door Ford Edge. That's more than they charge for a Mustang or a Camaro or Corvette.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I recently visited my mother in Mesa, Arizona for a small vacation before continuing my surgery following a breast cancer diagnosis. I rented a car from Payless Car Rental stationed at the Phoenix Airport. I was informed upon arrival at the airport that a subcompact Kia was all that was available. I had reserved a Chrysler 200 or similar (this seems to be a common practice after viewing other complaints to state that the car you reserved is not available). The man at the desk informed me that it would not be a good thing to ride around in a subcompact car and that he would upgrade my rental at no extra charge. All that he had was a Jeep Renegade. He asked me if I was a AAA member and I told him no but I was 65. He said he would indicate on the form that I was so I could get a better deal.

I told him that was not necessary that being 65 a senior discount was appropriate. Anyways, I was so pleased at getting a car when it seemed that there were not many to choose from, and we went upon our merry way. First, it appeared the Jeep had not been cleaned as the seats had dried food and there was a particular odor that we could not discern. My sister and mother will attest to this fact. While using the Jeep there were four occasions that when pulling out and trying to accelerate it would stall out and leave us sitting in traffic. We would have to put the car in park and try to restart. Sometimes it took a little to get it started. My mother was with us on one occasion when the car did this.

Anyway, when arriving back in Ohio I was going over my credit card and lo and behold, Payless charged me $740 and not the $265 originally agreed to. They are saying that I requested the upgrade and clearly I thought I was getting a nice car (midsize) by what I had originally signed for and their employee informed me that all that was available was a subcompact, which I would expect to pay even less for if they could not produce a comparable car for the price agreed to. It seems as though we are at a stalemate and they have offered to compensate me for $152 as I could have requested the update.

I, on the other hand, cannot afford an update having just recently only started working part-time after losing my full time job when going through chemotherapy. I am so very unhappy at this point, as this was a quick getaway vacation with my mom (cheap vacation) before continuing further reconstruction surgery April 10th, and the cost they are charging me is more than what the whole trip cost me. It is also disconcerting that other vacationers that use this company can also be swindled. This company needs to be shut down and I am not sure if Consumer Affairs has the power other than word of mouth. I am sending a letter to the newspapers in the Phoenix area and letting anyone who will listen with regard to Payless's unethical business practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: April 2, 2018

I rented a car March 20 in San Juan Puerto for 6 days. Online I booked and was told I will only have to pay 294 once I get to the rented copy. WRONGGG. I end up paying 574. Ok we get the car, drive off and the ** had no sharks, no nothing. The car sound crazy. Was mad but said, "Whatever, let me enjoy my vacation." The second day of the I leave some food in the car while I run in the store. Come back there is roaches everywhere in the car. Not flying roaches. The roaches you get when your house dirty. I called the company. They laughed and told me to bring it in. Cool. I got to the place 30 mins later in line. They gave me a credit back on my card and a new rental. Wrong. My card still haven’t been credited back. And it’s the second of April. A day later what happen more bugs. I call back and they say, "There's nothing we can do. All our cars got bugs." What? How do you rent these to people. I will never rent here again.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Payless cars in Phoenix Arizona at the airport - I was charged almost double the amount I agreed to on a reservation I had for a vehicle. The guy at the seat said he had to upgrade me because of not having the right vehicle but the amount would be waived. He even said verbally the same amount that was agreed to. Then after handing my card over and getting to the vehicle I saw the amount was different. I called customer service because it took me an half an hour to find the car because no one was out there to help. I called for 5 days and emailing. I was put on hold. Had names and ID numbers but they still refuse to make their wrong right. I was from out of state and now I’m learning they take advantage of customers and had a lawsuit last year? Do not rent from them!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I rent cars all over the world and Payless has been my worst experience ever. Booked a car for 4 days for $115.00 just to find out a few days later that I got overcharged by almost $90. The car was returned on time with a full tank of gas. After contacting their so called “customer service” I was told that the car was returned with half a tank. I provided a receipt for the fuel but since I topped off the car the night before returning it, it was “not acceptable”. I filed a dispute with AMEX and will never use this company again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I booked an SUV with Payless Costa Rica through Expedia for 2 weeks. The charge was supposed to be $385.70 including all taxes and fees. When I arrived I was hit with an extra $868 for insurance that they insisted was compulsory. On checking the T&Cs, I agree that Third Party Liability Insurance is compulsory in Costa Rica. I should have known this. I later found that the actual cost of the government-run scheme is about $7/day so I should have been charged $98 plus 7% tax. What I was charged is a gross defrauding of innocent tourists. They should change the name to Pay a Fortune Car Rental.

Original review: March 5, 2018

DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE LIARS AND SCAMMERS. I rented a car from Payless at the Las Vegas airport, when asked if I wanted to add liability insurance I declined and specifically said I did not need it as I only needed the car for 2 days. Upon my returning of the car they said my total was $63 which was accurate so I paid with my credit card. I got my credit card statement the following month and saw that I was charged $164. I called the company and they said the extra charges were for the liability insurance I chose.

I explained that I had declined the insurance when I rented the car. They said they would review their recording of the transaction and get back to me. Needless to say they never did. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and 30 days later my dispute was denied due to Payless providing a FORGED initial on the rental agreement next to the opt in for liability insurance. I am furious. How can a company get away with this??? If it didn't cost so much to get an attorney and fight back, I would. Just to show them that they cannot keep getting away with these schemes.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Rented a car online through Rentalcars.com and got a car at Payless rental car in Atlanta February 18, 2018. We needed a midsize car which they advertised a Hyundai Sonata. Upon arriving in Atlanta airport the only line at any rental car was at Payless. Only 4 people ahead of us took over an hour. When it was finally our turn we realized why the long wait, you guessed it no midsize cars there. Per the rep this is a common occurrence here. She told us if we went to Avis we could get the same deal for a midsize car, we went downstairs to Avis but you guessed it twice the price for the same car. We were left scrambling trying to find a mid size car without paying a fortune. We ended up paying $200 more after searching on our phones for another car. We will never rent from them again.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Payless at Orlando Airport (Florida) billed me $199 for glass damage but there was no glass damage. Then I read the attorney general of Arizona caught them in a glass damage fraud scam involving 80 phony glass damage bills. They had to pay a $139,000 penalty for lying and defrauding customers. But they're back at it again, this time in Florida. They won't send me any proof of damage and it's been months since I returned the car. I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint (directed at corporate office in Tulsa, OK) and a complaint with the Attorney General of Florida.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Avoid renting any cars here at all costs, will find any excuse to deny giving you the car including going against their own terms and conditions. Very unhelpful at front desk in Lisbon airport and prices are cheap but better to spend money elsewhere than deal with the headache.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Payless Car Rental Las Vegas Airport - This company does bad business. I rented a car from them and it had damage on the side. I brought it to their attention at the time of rental and they told me to take pictures and it would be fine. A month later, after I turned the car back in & received a clear receipt owing nothing, they are trying to charge me for the damage. The attendant that I turned the car in to even lied & said that I refused to fill out a damage report. They are dishonest!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Had a flight that was supposed to come in around 11:00 P.M. so I reserved a pickup for 11:45. It was going to be about 260 dollars for four days, which wasn't great, but we'd reserved late. The flight was delayed, and everyone in my family was sick, including my four year old, but we still managed to get to the pick up desk a few minutes before midnight. Unfortunately they had a massive line, I sat down with our daughter while my wife waited in line, by the time she got to a clerk it was about 20 minutes after midnight.

The clerk informed her that since we were picking up after midnight (30 minutes after our pickup time mind you) we'd lost the reservation and they could basically charge anything they wanted, which they said would be, at a minimum, 100 dollars more than our reservation price, and probably a lot more, but for some reason couldn't give us an exact number until we forked over our Credit Card. From the reactions of other people waiting in line they were doing the exact same thing to everyone there. We refused to play their game and for our trouble had to wander around checking prices at other rental places and eventually took a cab to our destination and rented a car away from the airport the next day.

Jokes on them because even after the cab fare the new rental ended up being less than their original quote, but it was still an awful experience. This company is run by thieves and grifters plain and simple. They know they have a captive audience, and that most people will just agree to pay 50% to 100% more rather than risk being stuck there without a car. It's a black mark on Expedia that they continue to include this company on their website.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I clearly told the clerk I do not need any additional coverage nor insurance loss waiver due to my employer's policy. I stated I declined ALL additional coverage but this clerk persist to push the extra coverage and intentionally made me signed the extra Loss Damage Waiver. As a result I was charged an extra $349.86 for two weeks of basic economic rental totaling $896.23. This is a fraud and unethical business practice, in which happened to many others in this same scheme. I've tried to contact the rental place as well as their customer service but USELESS. Not only they are NOT willing to admit this act but they are totally disrespectful both on the phone and emails, simply rude.

I rent a lot of cars thru other companies such as Budget, Dollar and Enterprise for work travel, never had any problems like this. I trusted Payless to do what I have asked but they are not only irresponsible but unprofessional. I will report this to the BBB and continue to warn people on social media. Don't let Payless deceive you, go to Budget and other rental agencies and save yourselves a lot of headaches and money! (Payless Denver Intl Airport).

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Do not be fooled when seeing that Payless has the cheapest rate when booking a car. You will end up paying far more than the original quote. I feel cheated. I was quoted $486 as TOTAL to pay. Charges to my credit card exceed $700. I have disputed the charges and some have been dropped. So I am boycotting Payless and also Avis who own Payless. Shame on you Avis. I will rent from Enterprise from now on.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

On Jan 2, 2018 I rented a car for 1 day at SMF. I came into town from PHX for the day to see my sister’s grave. I picked the car up at 926am. I was given a blue Hyundai Sonata. I did a complete walk around. Everything seemed fine. I drove out of the lot and down the road and the tire pressure light came on. I was already running late and could not turn around so I flipped the menu on to see the psi. All the tires were at 40psi except for the front left which was at 30. I drove up the road and put air in the tire which cost $3.00. I then continued on my way to Fairfield. The light came on again. I pulled over and tried to call roadside assistance but was put on hold forever. I put another $3.00 in air in the tire. I made it to my nieces in Fairfield. The tire was losing air fast. I called the customer service number at the bottom of the rental agreement. Nobody answered.

I tried calling another number on the agreement. The lady was rude. She said that she was a Budget rep and could not help me. I said, "Then why is your number on the rental agreement for Payless..." She hung up. I tried to call roadside assistance again only to be on hold forever. I called another number and got through. She said that I would have to take the car back to where I rented it. I told her that was over an hour away and can’t I just exchange it at a local rental place. She said no.

I had neck surgery and cannot lift anything so I drove the car over to the nearest gas station and put another $3.00 of air in. I then drove to Firestone. Told them what was going on and they changed the tire to the spare tire. He said it was not safe to drive with the spare donut tire on the front so he placed it on the back and put the regular tire on the front. I then loaded my kids back up and drove 46 miles back to SMF. I filled the tank before returning the car as to not be charged with gas. When I got to the desk I spoke to the agent Tony and told him what was going on. He said no problem and gave me another car. He said to make sure to speak to the manager when I brought the car back the next day so I can get reimbursed.

I was finally able to get on my way at 315pm, 6 hours after I rented the car. I spent 6 hours of my 1 day in SMF on the phone being hung up on or on hold with your company, stopping and putting air in the tire 3 times at $3.00 a pop, 2 hours round trip driving the car with the crap tire back to the airport, waiting at Firestone for them to change the tire, $10.00 to change the tire and $12.00 in gas. I returned the car the next day and spoke to the manager. She did not seem to care but reimbursed me the $10 for the tire at Firestone.

I received a letter from Payless dated Jan 22, stating that I am being billed $155.00 for the tire. I called customer service and the agent Siseral said that he will have someone call me back within 72 hours. Nobody called. I am NOT paying for the tire as I did not damage the tire. It was leaking air not even 5 minutes out of the lot. Had I known that the tire was that bad I would of turned around and returned the car. I was already running late and trusted Payless car rental to give me a reliable car which was not the case. I am not sure if your lot people just put air in the tire to re rent it again or what but the damage was there before I even sat in the car. I was not compensated for my trouble, time, and cost of air or cost of gas driving 100 miles round trip to bring the car back to you. I am not paying for the tire.

All of this could have been avoided if you would of answered your phones the 10 times I tried to call or if roadside assistance would of picked up. What is the point of having roadside assistance if nobody ever answers?? I have read several hundred horrible reviews about your company online. It seems that I am not the only one that this has happened to. I only wish I would have read these before renting from you. My whole trip was ruined due to your negligence. In town for 1 day visiting my sister’s grave and I have to deal with this then and now??? I will be forwarding a copy of this to your corporate office and also filing a complaint with Consumer Affairs. From the looks of it you are trying to scam your renters for gas, charges and unnecessary fees. I want this charge removed from my bill immediately. I also want email or written verification of receipt of this letter and verification that the charge claim has been removed.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

First car (car rental in Georgia) they gave us had 2 flat tires so they came at night and replaced it with one with a cracked windshield. When we called them to report that they said is it drivable we will just note it on the account. It wasn't even the class car we had prepaid for. Then two years later we get a claim they submitted to our insurance company for the cracked windshield. Since we no longer had the pictures to prove it was cracked when we received it the insurance settled and now we are getting a bill for the administration and loss of use fees plus deductible. This was a fraudulent claim to begin with. NEVER RENT FROM PAYLESS. MOST CROOKED AND DISHONEST COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

We reserved a car at the Ft Myers airport for 5 days. You had to walk a long distance out of the airport to find the Payless shuttle. The location is at least 10 minutes or more off site. We were given an older Hyundai that had dents all over it, was filthy inside and outside and in generally bad shape. We went back inside to report the condition to a very disagreeable gentleman who declined to come out and look at the car. He said the dents were noted already on his rental forms. What?! We should have turned it in then and there but we're already running late. Will never rent through Payless again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Booked a car for pick up, upon arrival woman behind desk said my card was declined and use another method of payment. Contacted credit card company, available credit was over $2000.00 and showing that no activity had taken place, the charge through the agency was not even being attempted. Had to cancel reservation and no car after an hour trying to speak with a supervisor and find out what went wrong. Now I know what went wrong, I was renting a car from a company that is completely worthless. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM PAYLESS. Asked to speak with a supervisor was just told they were not available.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Price was great. When we got to the counter our rep said that he wanted to "upgrade" from full size to small SUV due to the mountainous terrain. He said our 4-cylinder was not the best. He "upgraded" us to a 4 cylinder with 1/4 tank of gas low. Also the "upgrade" would allow two other drivers to be on the rental. Well the $15/person with additional taxes and fees ran us another $158. In addition I checked out your site and the add'l charge for drivers is $13 not $15. We waited approximately 50 minutes because they couldn't get a car.

Our rep went "to the garage" to check on our car and returned 20 min later with a Subway Sub which he stuck in his draw. That was downright rude. The gentlemen in line behind us was told to step away from the counter because they had loose ends to tie up. Guess what... his rep promptly turned to his other workers and announced that he was going to lunch. Poor service and not a good value at all. I would not recommend Payless to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Do not give this company your business. Make them struggle so they have to close their doors. We ordered a car well in advance and when we arrived they had no more cars. This was 2 days before Christmas. The people were rude and told us there was nothing they could do. They said if we wanted to call the corporate office to complain that we can. So we did. They were unsympathetic and it was their fault. They have been investigated by BBB and currently have an F rating.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

While waiting in line at the Sacramento location - I overheard the rep Germayne ** telling a couple that the midsize car they reserved was not ready and they could wait 2 hours or so. They said they had to be somewhere and could not wait 2 hours - and asked if they could downgrade to an economy. They were told they would have to pay to cancel their reservation and pay a fee because now they are getting a "cheaper car than they reserved" so there is a fee. So they asked if they can just get the next size up - and were told they had to pay the upgrade fee. This went back and forth and the whole time Germayne is rolling his eyes - talking rudely and telling the guy working next to him how annoyed he is.

SO when I get there - he says he is sorry I had to wait so long but the customer before me couldn’t make up their mind what kind of car they wanted and it was so annoying. 1.0 You should never insult a customer to another customer and 2.0 He should have just upgraded them since it was not their mistake. Now my turn and for some reason he is charging me about 60.00 more than my reservation and Germayne keeps saying it’s for the insurance - I told him insurance was included in my quote and he said, “No It Wasn’t”. I had put enough on my credit card to cover the cost of the quote so I couldn't pay more.

I told him then that I have Progressive Insurance and that rental car is covered in my policy so do not add insurance then. But he did anyway - while I kept insisting that I had already paid that online he told the kid next him again - "I'm so annoyed. I'm goinG on break" and then he left. So the person at the computer next to him had to come over and finish our transaction - now I filed a complaint on their website but they said no one can call me and they are now arguing over the fee as well even though I sent them my Orbitz receipt and confirmation. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. RUDE AND CHEAP.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Arrived in Atlanta, booked car a week ago for Payless Car Rental in Atlanta Georgia, we get to the counter and they said they overbooked again and will not have a car available for another hour to one and a half hours.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

What a screw Job!! Prepaid $131.13 was told that it was total cost. Well $479.00 was what they charged me. One way fee 39.93. Bull crap. Dropped off same place as picked up. 11.11% fee no explanation. Gas service option. $26.45. They told me it would only be $ 1.79 a gallon v/s $2.89 at the pump. Wow not 25.46 for about 8 gallons. Counter products $100.94 no explanation. Loss damage waiver $149.94 WHAT for my insurance to cover the vehicle. I called the customer Service # 800-729-5377. Ok. The woman took my information. Said cust. care would contact me. I asked for number she said she is in Mexico and could not help me with that. Well 2 Months has gone but still no resolution!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I rented a car online through RentalCars.com, which was my first mistake. I got a car through PayLess Car Rentals. I picked up and returned the car in Ft. Myers, FL. After returning home, I got my credit card statement showing a nearly $200 over-charge for the car rental. When I called, they said I returned the car to Orlando instead of Ft. Myers and they had to fill it with gas. I returned the car to Ft. Myers and it was full of gas. I inadvertently misplaced the return paperwork. When I asked for another copy, they have promised 4 times to email it, and I NEVER GOT IT!

I have my airline ticket showing I flew out of Ft. Myers that day after returning the car there. I have a gas receipt showing I filled the car with gas. They are still making me jump through hoops to PROVE TO THEM that I returned the car to Ft. Myers!!! I've never had this kind of trouble EVER before with a car rental co. STAY AWAY FROM THEM! and their customer service dept. is totally USELESS in resolving issues!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My wife and I booked a car from Payless Car Rental out of San Diego for four days. We printed the confirmation showing the total cost would be $138.78 with unlimited mileage. When we showed up to complete the transaction, we were told that they would have to charge an additional $150.00 because we planned driving too far. What is the definition of unlimited anyway? The attendant then pulled out this funky chart showing driving rings which were definitely not unlimited mileage. Our bill went from $138.78 to $288.78 for four days. We told them we would only drive the car to the defined limit for the original price. He then threatened to charge us 35 cents per mile from the beginning of the trip if we get caught outside the limit.

By this time we were laughing at this attempt to nickel and dime us to death. We told him to cancel the rental and went next door and picked up a rental for a reasonable price. On our way out he shouted that they have the best prices and we wouldn't find one better. How utterly delusional. In my opinion, this company should be barred from doing business in the U.S.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

CONSUMERS BE AWARE! Upon return of my car the clerk checked in the car and all was good. Car was properly filled up. 2 weeks later I receive a bill for 65 dollars because the car was returned half full. I even sent my credit card statement showing I went to the gas station the day of returning the car. They have now send the balance to collection. I will never ever deal with these crocks!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

They promised a car but double the price. They gave me a car with no oil, brake fluid, electrical short in front passenger side door, pumpers put on with zip ties. Payless rents broken down cars from Budget and re-rents them at double the price. Ruined my trip in Peru.

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information