2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1269 ratings)

About Payless Car Rental

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Renting from Payless rental was the worst experience ever... I initially had a reservation with Enterprise but changed it last minute because Payless had it cheaper... Well babyyyy that was a bad idea... When I arrived to pick up my rental the sign directed us to Avis car rental and I literally waited in line for over 2hrs. The car was perfect but upon returning the vehicle again a sign directed us to Avis. The guy at Avis took my information and stated, "Once a Payless representative arrives I will have them close you out."

We'll days later I never received a receipt and I kept calling and they informed me it takes 48hrs to get a receipt. This morning comes and I was becoming pissed so I called again and the young man informed me that not only had they not closed me out, but they were still charging me yet the vehicle had already been rerented to someone else. He informed me he has to process a refund which take 3-7 business days and I should have the receipt shortly. If it wasn't for me bugging them they would have continued to charge my card... Horrible customer service!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

What a terrible company. I went to Aruba with 9 family members and needed a van to accommodate a party this size. I made reservations with Payless several months in advance. I confirmed reservation a week prior to arrival. Agent confirmed vehicle was going to be here when I arrived. I offered to pay in advance to assure the vehicle would be there. I was assured it would be there without paying in advance. When I arrive in Aruba and proceeded to car rental I was informed the vehicle was not there and company had no vehicle for me. Payless worker told me they overbooked and I was left with nothing. I had to go to other car rental agents at airport and had to rent two cars at a much higher cost. A bait and switch would have been better than what happened to us. Please avoid this company at all cost. Worth paying a bit more to a respectable and reliable company.

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

We were asked specifically what time our flight got in when we booked the reservation assuming that meant to make sure that someone would be ready to check us in, that was not the case... When arriving at the counter at about 1:40pm after put flight I waited almost 20 minutes for someone to come to the desk at which point I called the 1-224-220-0604 at 2pm which phone records can prove at which point approx 8-10 minutes later I was finally able to talk to a person who I quote said "if no one is there go to the Budget or Avis counter and they can help you". So after waiting another 10-14 minutes in that line i finally get to the counter only to be told that "they can't help me, she is at lunch go back to that counter".

Mind you there was ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING ON OR AT THAT COUNTER STATING THE EMPLOYEE WAS AT LUNCH not that it would have been appropriate for me to sit there for 40 minutes waiting on someone to come out when I had a confirmed reservation for the time of my flight arrival. So at this point I have been on the ground up Chicago an hour and a half and can't even get my rental car.... She comes out at this point as I'm at the other counter so I go over there only to be told that she "came back 6 mins early from her 30 min lunch break" which maddened even more because if she walked in the back at the second I arrived at the counter the timeline still didn't match. It's not her fault she is the only one there while every other counter had a minimum of 3 employees at the desk at any point in time but it was completely an awful and uncalled for experience.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

This is the worst car rental company I've ever rented from. The Payless company has no affiliation with the San Diego Payless car rental. Payless says they're an independent company; however, they have the Payless name and should stand behind any theft, or called fraud, that goes on with this company. I wish I would've read the reviews before renting from Payless. They overcharge for rental and add on charges that you declined when you rented the car. Now I'm having a hard time getting my money back and may never see the refund they owe me. Terrible customer service at the Payless, affiliated with Avis, customer service number.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Our contract said 7 seats, we were given 6. The next day, we called to make a swap. After several phone calls to the company, even being hung up on, we received no help. This was rotten of Payless because when we picked up the vehicle, we were assured by their staff it was a 7-passenger vehicle. (We discovered we didn't have enough seat belts when we picked up our remaining party later). This alone ruined our trip.

However, when we returned the vehicle we were notified that the floor mats were what they called "damaged." The company sent photos--if you were to review these photos, it would be clear that the mats were not damaged, they were dirty. And the mats should have been dirty, we had the car for 12 days. Payless adds and takes away whatever they want in their agreement. Do not rent from this company or you will eventually regret doing business with them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

After refusing gas service, I returned car with a full tank. Also, I have a gas receipt printed afternoon before return. An unauthorized $62.38 was on the receipt that I noticed after landing in Az. I can't find any way to rectify the bill at time of this review.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I did rent a car from Payless to drive in California. They charged me extra $250 "flat fee zone" at the pick up since I wanted to drive the car from San Diego to San Francisco. Even though the rental was unlimited mileage, but they are small company and you have to pay extra fee to drive the car in different zone (not true for bigger rental company). The car was new but audio system reset every two hours and once we were in a rest area in route 5, the car didn't start. I was on phone for their road assistant line for hours but no response. I found my own road assistant company to help! Overall very bad experience! Don't rent a car from payless and be aware of hidden fees for driving the car in different zone in a state.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

First, I never write reviews but feel people need to consider renting from this company. I had a few bad experiences. The check engine light came on after about 15 minutes of driving, of course meaning I had to go back to the airport. Also, the driver's side mirror was faulty. I called about 15 times but could reach a representative. Fast forward, I get my bill and find out I’ve been charged for additional insurance. The guy helping me at the counter read through what I was signing since I didn’t have the best glasses on and couldn’t see well. So much for honesty. I’ll never rent from them again no matter how much I’ll spend with another company.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I had prepaid a car to pick up in Nashville. When we went to pick the car up they said Expedia never paid them. I was so mad my husband put another car on his charge card. We never picked up a car that I paid for on my charge card. I went with my receipt in hand from Expedia that I paid them and my charge card bill. Showing I was charged. Payless refused to honor it. They just said Expedia never paid them. Since then it's been 2 months and nothing refunded or done. Expedia said they could never get ahold of Payless to verify we never got the car we were charged for so they would not refund our money. So I tried for many days to get ahold of Payless. All numbers and emails say no longer in service. Or does not exist. DO NOT USE PAYLESS RENTAL CARS. I even question Expedia at this point. Really hard time getting to talk to someone with their company as well.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Payless Car Rental does everything in their power to manipulate you into purchasing extra things you don’t need. Don’t agree to anything they are offering! They are high class scammers! It’s a business you can’t trust. Look else where!

Payless Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information