1.01/5

1049 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I rented Nissan Altima at a Payless Car Rental location very near Chicago Ohare Intl airport on 3/26/18 and returned it intact 3/30/18, after making reservation for 4 days online with full payment of $177.96 including Concession Recovery Fee, Customer Facility Charge, Vehicle License Fee and Sales Tax on 3/18. However I found Payless charged extra $28.26 and then $124.44 to my credit card without any notice in advance and even afterwards.

Not wanting to waste time arguing with them I determined to consider the $28.26 as e-Toll fees, but I sent Payless my letters a couple of times requesting for their explanation of why and under what pretext they unilaterally charged the extra $124.44 to my credit card afterwards, though I had paid their billed total amount in advance. But they'd never replied to my letters, whiling sending payment demanding notices only a couple of times.

Then they simply sent my case to a collection agency. Last week I tried to rent a car at Budge Car Rental, but was refused because there is an unpaid debt on my credit record. I think this is the very Payless's untrue, baseless and false extra charge issue. I need help to get this false debt cleared by Payless in this most civilized and advanced country in the world.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We were unable to rent a vehicle from PAYLESS as the computer would not let the agent set up an account for us. First, she blamed the credit card company. We called them and they told her that "we could buy the car if we wanted to." Then she said that we had an open ticket with BUDGET Car Rental, which we had canceled, and this was not letting her set up an account for us. On our next credit card statement, PAYLESS charged us for a vehicle we DID NOT RENT and reported that we had driven 1400 miles. We have tried to settle this with them but no one ever returns our calls, letters or emails. Before doing any business with them, go online and read the reviews. Once you've done so, you will learn that this company (who is affiliated with BUDGET and AVIS) is as bad as the Ebola virus. Like Ebola, avoid PAYLESS.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented a vehicle from Budget originally down in Orlando Florida, but when I went to pick up my vehicle they transferred me to Payless because they could “offer a lower rate”. Like any customer, I was excited to pay even less. However, I fully regret ever letting them hand me over. The customer support I received was horrible. I needed to extend my rental by 10 hours. Just 10 hours. They wanted to charge me over $50 for my basic car rental!

I then informed them I just searched I could return this car and rent another from a different company for $30, why are you charging me so much? The call center representative couldn’t answer that. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. He wasn’t available. Really? I’ve worked in a call center help desk setting before, there are ALWAYS supervisors on duty. Multiple. I requested the supervisor call me back when they returned. The representative claimed it would take 15 minutes.

An hour later I call back because I still had not heard back. Supervisor is in a meeting. So where are the others? Again can’t answer my question. Representative hangs up on me because he claims there’s nothing he can do for me. Put me on the phone with a supervisor! This place is a scam! I’ve never dealt with such horrible terrible customer service. I will never rent from this company again and will make sure I tell everyone I know who travels to avoid them at all costs!!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I picked up a minivan in Denver and booked it to Las Vegas. Once there I could not find another rental, any company. I drove this rental to Orlando. My final destination. Called and informed Payless before I left Nevada, no quote. $3,000.00! Also a day later than planned since the Payless was inside a TGIF Fridays, no signs. Kirkman Dr Orlando. No damage, full of gas.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Ana at the call center extremely rude and no help whatsoever. Giggling the phone call. Her supervisor, Josh ** (so they told me), I assume refused to answer my transferred call after 20 or so odd minutes. I will never be renting from this company again. Worst car rental experience thus far. I still have no real information and no receipts. I will also be letting my colleagues know about their poor business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We returned our car in perfect condition. Nothing was mentioned about damage at the time (because there was none). Over 2 months later I noticed a $184.00 charge on my credit car from Payless. I called and they said they would get back to me in 72 hours. I called again after a week of no notification and was told it was for windshield repair. There was nothing wrong with the windshield when we returned it. And we were never notified that there was supposedly damage and that they were charging us for it. They just billed our credit card... probably hoping we wouldn't notice. Phone calls just want you to go through the same loop again and I could not get a manager to speak with. Very shady! Never rent from Payless!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Never ever use Payless Car Rental! Completely fraudulent company. Bait and switch, fast talking agent overcharged and added charges that we didn’t know about. Had agreement for 262.00 for Ford Explorer. Paid almost 500.00 for dirty minivan. Was told they didn’t have our car (we saw it in the lot). Beware and read all reviews about Payless. None of them good! This company needs to be investigated!!! Total fraud. No way to reach anyone to fix complaints. Customer service told us to wait for our open ticket to be looked into. Ended up reopening ticket still to no avail. Customer service said to just wait. Had no other information for us. Have waited much too long!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Payless Car Rental is the absolute worst car rental facility EVER!!! Rented a filthy dirty car that was on the verge of breaking down the whole trip, the rudest customer service I’ve ever experienced, and waited on a bus for 20 min. while our driver took a smoke break! Unfreakinbelievable. Please pass this along and get them out of business!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I reserved a car through Expedia (reserve now pay later) something I've done a many times, when I arrived to the Payless Car Rental to pick up my car I was told my reservation had been cancelled because after midnight the system resets, but it wasn't midnight yet... and I rented the car for midnight because my flight was scheduled to arrive in Phoenix at 11:45pm... I landed early and I arrived early to Payless around 11:45p. The lady at the desk said that she would match the price I agreed to on Expedia.

After two attempts to get me to sign a car rental agreement (thank God I read them because they were higher than Expedia) she found a lower rate than Expedia! I thought that was weird but I accepted the blessing and went to pick up the car... immediately I noticed a few damages to the trunk and the gas hand was not full. I documented it with the agent that appeared offended and after several min of conversation about the gas hand, I sign a form documenting the problems, he releases the car... when I returned the car in the exact same condition including the gas hand the agent asked do I want a receipt or can they email it... I told him to email it... I asked, "Was everything ok?" He said, Yes you're all good..."

I leave to take my returning flight to Chicago once, I land and get a min to settle down (the next morning). I check for the charges and can you believe it I have been charged double from my signed agreement! And $100 more than the charges for Payless on Expedia. When I called to ask, "Why? Whats going on?" I was told it would take a few days to get the invoice because my initial agreement with Expedia was cancelled! When I stated, "How can you see a cancelled agreement (your company cancelled) and not my signed agreement?" He was became rude even threatened to not send the request for the invoice through.

When I asked for a manager I was told the manager was busy and would tell me the same thing as he... when I told this extremely rude person to let me speak to the manager anyway the rude person put me on hold returned after a short time and said, "The manager is busy. Goodbye," and hung up! I looked up Payless corporate number and was re-routed back to the Phoenix airport location...

Please please beware of Payless Car Rental company in Phoenix airport, read reviews and take them seriously. I usually do and I didn't this time... I have disputed the charges with my bank and will post this review on all the third party sites, Yelp, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Bookit.com, etc. I'm also going to report them to BBB after reading all the reviews and submit a report to the eyewitness news team that look into scams...

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Rented a car from Payless at their Midway Airport (Chicago) offsite location. Returned car the next day only to find that they had closed their location and moved it permanently without telling me creating a tremendous return hassle. Then they sent me a bill with an additional unauthorized charge. Very poorly run company and not worth the few dollars you save on their rate. I believe they are incompetent at best and dishonest at worst. I will never rent from them again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We booked the car rental through our travel share, it was low cost as we were on a very tight budget. It was to be around $200. This was in Las Vegas. We filled everything out, we had never rented a car before, so this was a new process. The lady was super nice, and very very friendly. She gave me the paperwork, and the bill was like $500... I freaked, and said this can't be right, this is wrong, she assured me that once the car was brought back, it would be the $200... I had cash to pay it, but they said I had to use credit card, and it would it be charged until we brought car back.

I get my credit card statement, and it was almost 700, and even after disputing it and getting angry they reimbursed me only %20. I will never ever recommend this company. No personal calls, strictly emails back and forth. AND, the car we had, my husband thought the thing was gonna fall apart while driving... Lol it was bad. Payless rips you off, felt very ripped off, and still very angry.

Original review: July 23, 2018

l rented a car on July 6. l was charged 145 and some change. l returned the car on time with a full tank of gas and no damage. On July 16 l received another fee of 165.51 so l called the local agent and they said her corporate could not do anything because it was rented from Payless Corporation. So l tried to contact the office but they can only be contacted via email. It is now July 23 and they have closed my account for the second time stating they could not see an overcharge. This company has caused my account to overdraft several times and they refuse to get me my money. They are unprofessional, they take their time to resolve anything and the account doesn’t allow you to send more than one picture. l would not recommend anyone to reserve a car online from this company. My lawyer was contacted.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I rented a car online and picked it up at the airport in Austin, Texas. When I picked up the car, I noticed that the driver's side mirror was already broken. I pointed it out to the clerk who was handling my car pick-up, and she made a note of it on my paperwork. When I returned the car, they checked the gas level and sent me on my way. Two weeks later, I received a letter to my home address, saying that they were going to charge me for the damaged mirror, even though they'd already made a note of it when I picked up the car as the damage was already there. I've tried multiple times to contact them and I keep being given the same phone number and told to call them.

I now have two claim numbers, but no way to actually submit the paperwork to them showing that the clerk marked the damage on the paperwork when I picked up the rental car. And no way to contact the people who work at the Austin airport where I would assume that paperwork showing the damage would live. The phone number just goes to a call center and not to anyone who actually works for the rental company. And the letter says they will charge me the damages fee a week after they sent out the letter, and there's no real way to file a dispute against the charge and proof that the damage was already there. Horrible customer service, and horrible company.

Original review: July 21, 2018

**Beware** You will get scammed. I had the price quote from Priceline and also bought the insurance through Priceline. Payless gave me a very old car with an aftermarket stereo that didn’t work. Payless forced for to buy their insurance and I paid almost $900 more than I had planned. The car sometimes didn’t want to start. For the rainforest the wipers were torn and old and just smeared dirt around. The return I made arrangements to have them pick up at the hotel. When I arrived home back in the states I had an email indicating the car was missing. I called the hotel and they told me the keys were still there and no had come to get it. Maybe Payless wanted to claim all the insurance money on a missing car. Horrible experience from start to finish.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I rented a car in Seattle Washington (airport). I returned the car with NO damage and in June, I get a bill from Payless stating that I had done glass damage to the car, which was not the case. They charged me $184.00 for this. I called and opened a ticket and got an email stating that they were sorry, but I was being charged due to the damage. I replied many times to the email stating that there was NO damage and requested a phone call to speak to someone regarding this matter. It has been 2 weeks and got no reply, so I called back to customer complaints again and they said the ticket was closed, that they could open it up again, which they did. I requested someone please contact me by phone so I could ask some questions about what they were saying I damaged and to tell them that there was NO glass damage.

I get an email 4 days later with a bill from Safelite Glass Corp. stating solar w/ third visor frit, whatever that means for $184.00. Which told me nothing about what the damage they are claiming I did. They closed the ticket again, so once again I replied that I would like to talk to someone and that I wasn't paying for damage I didn't do. I called my credit card company and did a dispute, so for now, awaiting results on that. My biggest complaint is that they charged me for something I didn't do, and that I can get no one to contact me by phone, I have even tried calling the Seattle airport direct and can get no answer there either. When I had this rental car, the windshield wiper blades were so bad that I had to replace them, so that I could see to drive. They did reimburse me for the blades.

Original review: July 18, 2018

San Diego Airport Rental is terrible - I rented a car through HOTWIRE for 32 dollars a day with Payless. When I get to the desk, the sales employee tells me this car is too small for me and my 2 children. He tells me I need to upgrade and basically tells me the cost would be 550 dollars for 6 days... that's 91 dollars a day. I ask him if that is with the military discount, he then states it would be 492 dollars total. The car was a terrible car and I did not feel safe in it with my 2 children. I was charged all these additional fees and cost of this rental was more than my whole trip. I tried to call to complain but customer service just blew me off. I feel stupid for not looking into this company before I went ahead with the car rental. Worst experience I ever had with a car rental company and I will never rent from them again and I will tell the world not to either.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Never ever rent from these liars. I did not agree to their insurance and they checked that box. They are criminals. No one ever ever cares to do the right thing. If they end up doing the right thing for me I will retract this. I highly doubt it. I will never rent a car from MCO Orlando Airport again!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I reserved a car online with Orbitz for an economy car from Payless for my wife. A nine day rental. The quote was $199 with all state and local taxes included. When she arrived they told her there was a $209.81 deposit. Quite an odd number for a deposit. Stupid, but understandable - we expected a deposit. She specifically asked for no added extras and declined their insurance. Because she declined their insurance, she was charged $99 for declining their insurance. Why should we have to pay for insurance when our own insurance covers rental cars? There were a total of 10 "other charges" that totaled $260.53 add that to the $199.28 that was the actual cost of the car rental and the total was $459.81 before adding the $209.81 for the deposit. So the total at the time she rented the car was $669.62. We were told $199.28 was due at time of rental. In reality, it was more than three times that.

Payless Car Rental at the San Diego Airport - My wife complained about the deposit and she was told they wouldn't charge her the deposit. On the day of rental, our account was charged $209.81 (deposit fee) and another charge for $250. The next day the $209.81 charge was no longer pending (it had been processed) and the $250 had dropped off our account. On July 12th, 2018, 4 days after she returned the car, they again charged the $250 that had originally been charged but then dropped from our account.

My biggest issue is: $99 for declining their Collision Insurance - Seems like that should be illegal! $9 vehicle license fee, 26.55 RSA fee - wanted to decline roadside assistance but was told it's mandatory, $3.95 for using a debit card (that could have been charged as a credit card), $37.08 Airport concession fee. There are other smaller charges as well.

I don't blame Orbitz - although I will never rent a car through them again. Now, after researching Payless, I blame myself. I should have done my research ahead of time. Based on what I have found since researching Payless, they have a long history of making people pay all the additional charges. In fact, it seems that is how they make their living. Their profit doesn't come from renting cars, it comes from all the extra fees they either tell you are mandatory or they slip in hoping you don't notice. I suspect other car rental services do the same stuff. But it should be illegal to be given a quote when you rent a car that says "Amount due at time of rental: $199.28" When in reality you are going to walk out of there paying $500.

My advice is to stay away from Payless (part of AVIS) and do your research before you rent a car. The economy car she was given was in bad shape and as base of a model as you could get. No power windows or power anything. Just a car that had a sputtering engine. Please do your research so we can stop making these companies rich because they feel they can get away with it.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Rented two full size SUVs on June 23, 2018. Arrived on time to proceed with rental. Was told that my four passengers each carrying a medium size bag would not fit into a Hyundai Santa Fe, which by their definition, was the "full size" SUV that I had reserved. This claim was repeated for the second SUV with 4 passengers and similar size luggage. I had reserved each car for $500 for 7 days, or $1000 total.

Agent: "BUT, we can put you in a real full size SUV Ford or Chevy for $2000 more." Me: But that is a total of $3000 versus the $1000 I reserved!!! Agent: "Yes, but you will not fit into a Hyundai Santa Fe. We have had rush on SUV rentals in Denver and all rental car companies are sold out. So this is your only option. Do you want it or not?" The agent brought his manager over and he too said this was our only option. THIS IS A SCAM. We made a different arrangement. When we left Payless, we saw hundreds of rental cars at other rental car company lots at DIA.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I rented a car from the Baltimore airport location in May. It was a 3 day rental, the car sucked but who cares, it was cheap. $158.00 was the cost for 3 days and the $158 was charged to my credit card the day I got home. Fast forward nearly two months and they hit my credit card for 901 yesterday. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. The only explanation I can get is that I ran a toll (I did do that because I forgot it was there and didn’t have cash). I told the woman at the counter that I ran the toll. She told me not to worry about it that they would just bill me for whatever the toll amount wise. The toll was $10, NOT 900!!! The person I spoke with yesterday was quite rude and told me there is nothing further he can do for me. I have no idea what kind of war I am going to have to wage with them to get my money back, but I have never had this issue with Enterprise. I guess you get what you pay for.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I never write a review but if this saves anyone from the grief of what I have experienced it's worth it. First of all the economy car rental is a piece of garbage. It has no power anything, and was so archaic I had to get an upgrade. I originally needed the car for 3 days but ended up only needing it for 1 day. I brought it back and explained to them just that and that I also needed to be credited back for the gas I prepaid for. The women was extremely rude and asked me if I had a receipt for the gas I filled the car up with. I said no. I didn't know I needed to bring a receipt in. I thought you just could look at the gas gauge. She told me to calm down. I asked if I could get a receipt for the final charges and she told me it would be emailed to me. Well she never credited me back for the two additional days.

I had to call customer service who then tells you they have to open a ticket for someone else to help you. They would contact me via email. I then get an email highlighting my gas credit. Like that was solving the problem... I ended up calling my credit card and stopping all payment to them. This is the WORST car rental experience I have ever had. Customer service sucks and so do their cars. Some guy picked up his rental car and the tire was flat. They told him they would air it up for him! He said no and wanted a new car. I then witnessed them airing up the tire and putting it back in line to be rented. Unbelievable!! STAY AWAY.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I went to Arizona to visit my mother, flew on American Airlines and got a rental car, at the advice of the airlines website, from Payless. Worst mistake ever. I waited for 45 minutes because both people in front of me had issues. I should have left, but I didn't. They wouldn't let me use my debit card and then charged my actual credit card $500.00. WTF. The car didn't run very well and had a very hard time on the mountains I had to drive through. The set up of the rental car place I don't know is Payless' fault, but I find going into a parking garage and just getting in an unlocked vehicle a little sketchy. Anyways, the 45 min wait was stupid and the $500.00 charged to my credit card is the reason I will never rent from Payless again. The other places cost more because they suck less. Facts folks.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Car rental MCO Orlando Airport June 9-18 2018: I was overcharged claiming I checked the "box" for the DLW damage loss waiver. Total lie. I rent cars all the time, I never check that box! Payless is a joke. Watch your credit card statements. I will never rent from Payless again... unless they fix this. If they fix it, I will let you know! Criminals. Channel 13 Orlando has been notified!

Original review: June 29, 2018

SLC Airport Car Rental - Took 50 minutes to help one family in front of us rent a car. Then 15 minutes for them to look up my reservation and let me pay. Slow, and rude, they couldn't have worked slower if they tried and made it clear that they didn't care about the customer. Just as we finally got help, after 50 minutes of waiting at the front of the line, a blonde woman showed up to join the two lazy men who were already working and instead of hopping on her computer to help move the line, she stopped to chat with lazy guy number one at his computer, making him pause helping us to chat about their weekend. Rude AF. Will never rent from Avis or Payless again. Have only boycotted two places in my life, this makes three. Unforgettable experience, I have gotten my drivers license in a California DMV faster than the Utah Payless desk could run a card payment. Plane lands 9:10, bags collected by 9:25, car rented by 10:50! What!?! Wow. Just wow.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Listen everyone! I rented a car in Dec 2017 through Travelocity in Guadalajara, Mexico (will full insurance through Travelocity) & I had the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! I called 2 times before to make sure my rental care was there & Payless confirmed but when I got there, the staff named LUCIO ** was mad that no one told him because he only had one car left. We even had to walk miles in the middle of the night because their office inside the airport was closed... Really? Anyways, he didn't have a copy machine to make copies of the agreement form & LIED to me saying for only $50, I would get additional car insurance so I said okay. He asked for me to sign saying the car is fine WITHOUT seeing it but luckily, my boyfriend realized what was going on & said no until we see it first. When we dropped off the rental car, he told me he charged me $450 extra so I didn't sign the receipt but they still charged it on my credit card! WHAT?

I asked to speak to his manager named JOSE ** & he wasn't there so he called him over the phone & when I explained it to the manager that I didn't agree to pay that much, he said, "Oh well." No one spoke English! Payless told me someone had to speak English & have the contract form in English! I have been calling Payless for the last 6 months (maybe 25 times already) & every single staff does not know who I can speak with. I have even been asked to email documents/proof and no one has emailed me back. I am sick & tired of being ignored. I have been manipulated! This is not fair & affecting me emotionally and mentally. So much anxiety, anger, sadness, & hate. Do not rent from them! EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU WILL SAVE MONEY COMPARED TO OTHER RENTAL COMPANIES, DO NOT DO IT! I called Travelocity and they took all of my information, recorded my testimony, but NEVER called me back! No support!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Location: Denver CO Airport. Worst rental experience ever. When we checked in the associate told us that we deserved an upgrade, of course he DID NOT mention that he would be charging us for it, just initial here, here, and sign here. Long story short, our $246 rental turned into a $466 rental. Already filed a BBB report and now I'm off to leave reviews over every possible platform. This company is the worst.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Orlando Florida MCO Airport ---I am currently on vacation but I'm so disgusted with the company I have to leave a review and aid in warning people before you use this company. I booked a rental for June 7th in advance on Expedia. I paid in advance for Collision Damage $50. Expedia let me know that $85 will be due at counter.

Upon approaching the counter, I notice there was a line for Hertz, Enterprise, etc...but no one waiting in line for PAYLESS. Smh. This should have been a warning. Once I approached the counter, the lady ask for my credit card and ID. But before the little lady explained what I was paying for, she quickly swiped my card. Once I reviewed my receipt, I let her know that the charges were not ok and she should go ahead and cancel the whole transaction which she did. Now there is a hold on my card which they say should lift by Monday June 11, 2018.

After reading these reviews I am happy that decided not to take any of their ** vehicles. I would be in a worse situation than I am now. They are still holding my money. I call to speak to a supervisor and OLIVER [a PAYLESS representative] hung up on me. Smh. They are liars and scammers. Do not waste your money here!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I reserved a car through the Payless website for a trip to Breckenridge from 4/20-4/27. When I reserved my car to Breckenridge for the week this is the email I received back showing a reserved car for a Toyota Corolla or similar (STANDARD/INTERMEDIATE CAR) Booking Reference Number: ** - Confirmation no. **. When we arrived at the airport location to pick up the car (Toyota Corolla or similar) I was informed by the agent that they did not have the car that was reserved on my reservation and that they would need to put me into another car.

I was asked by the agent where I was going and I stated that we were headed to Breckenridge for the week and he said "Oh that will be fun but it looks like you will get snow after 1 am but you should be ok with the car I am giving you." Not once did he ask me to upgrade the car he was giving us for the week. After I paid for the car, we walked out to the lot to the spot C79 and the similar car that I had reserved was not a Toyota Corolla, but a Dodge Caravan Minivan from Texas. Not liking the choice I was presented with, but knowing that we had another hour or so drive to Breckenridge, I took the minivan as the car I was given by the agent.

As we left the airport, it was raining and about 30 minutes into our drive to Breckenridge through the mountains, the rain changed to sleet and snow. We were fine up until the Eisenhower pass at the top of the mountain. As we exited the Eisenhower tunnel, there was about 2 inches of snow and ice on the backside of the mountain. At this point and over the next 6 miles down a 7% grade decline down the mountain was the most stressful, God awful, and terrifying ordeal I have been through.

Not more than 50 feet after exiting the tunnel, I slowed speed down to 3 miles per hour and immediately started sliding down the highway at 3 miles per hour. It took us over 2 hours to get down the backside of the mountain. The entire time sliding on the snow at 3 miles per hour. The back end of the minivan from Texas was fishtailing every time I stepped on the brakes AT 3 MILES PER HOUR. By the time we reached the bottom of the 1st mountain hill I was having a panic attack and couldn't breathe as for 2 hours I honestly thought we were going to die, and for a person who had heart surgery, this was not a great way to start off my vacation. I had to park at the bottom of the pass for 20 minutes to try and calm down in order to proceed towards Breckenridge.

Once we finally got a bit of traction from having pulled off onto the shoulder of the highway we slowly made it past Dillon at 10 miles per hour, and this is when all hell broke loose. We just passed the Dillon exit and started up the hill towards the Breckenridge exit when the tires on the Minivan from Texas started spinning and we could not go anywhere on the highway. At this point all I heard was a loud blaring horn coming from behind us, looked up in my rearview mirror, and was almost killed by a semi truck that literally missed us by no more than 6 inches because we could not get any traction with the minivan that was provided to us by Payless and ended up spun out behind other vehicles that were on the highway.

At this point my heart was pounding so much I almost passed out knowing we were almost killed at the start of our vacation. No more than 3 minutes later a tow truck came along and asked us if we were ok. I could barely speak as I was so scared, and so Gilbert from Dillon Towing and Recovery asked us if it was a rental car and we said yes. He pulled in front of us, loaded us up on his tow truck and towed us the next 5 miles to the parking lot of 7-11 in Frisco. He looked at the minivan and said "I cannot believe the car rental company would give you a minivan from Texas that has No Snow or No Mud tires and not even a set of tires chains and send you out on the road with this."

The tow fee was $220 and he also stated that if the police would have got to us first it would have been a $400 ticket for not having the proper tires on the vehicle PLUS the $220 tow fee. I called the manager and tried to explain everything that happened and instead of any good customer service she argued with me for 15 minutes on the phone stating that I was incorrect, it didn't happen, and that all of her employees are persuaded to ask the customer to do an upgrade on the vehicle when checking out. So after a bad experience starting off the vacation, a bad experience with the manager, I finally called the 800# on my form and started this process. They have refused to reimburse me the $220 towage fee and insist they did nothing wrong.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I rented a car on behalf of my son who was traveling only with a debit card. I called Payless before my son reached his designation, in speaking with the customer service representative she assured me that he could rent the car with a debit card that there would be a 200.00 hold on the card. When he got to El Paso it was a totally different story. He ended up having to rent from another rental company and because it was a last minute rental the cost was double. I will never rent nor recommend Payless to anyone!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was traveling to Atlanta and reserved a car online, opted for a Hyundai Accent or similar, for the 7 days and I received a quote of 205.00. Cool, can’t beat that! Arrived in Atlanta and the agent asked did I want to upgrade, my reply no! I already had an insurance plan that I also purchased online, so I didn’t need their insurance. He mentioned that I take the fuel option, but if I bring it back full I would not be charged. To make a long story short! I returned the car on full. When I received my final bill it was 384.38! I was charged for an upgrade, but I drove away in the Hyundai Accent, I was charged for insurance, fuel and a few other things I never requested. After contacting them I am receiving emails that say they cannot refund any money. So I’m constantly going back and forth with them! Finally notified my bank to dispute the charge and looking for a class action lawsuit claim against them!

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information