2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I was asked for a 250 dollar deposit and was told it would be refunded when I returned the car. The rep told me it would only be a pending chg. I’ve called 2x. It’s been 2 weeks and I was told they would have to investigate. Thieves!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I reserved a car with Payless car rental and had a confirmation number. They took the money from my credit card. That afternoon when I went to pick up the car they said “we have no more cars”. What??? The car I paid for should have been there, Duh!!! Nope, they had rented all their cars and left me stranded. I had to call the 800 number the next day to be refunded and it took 3 days for the refund. Worst experience in renting a car EVER! Avis car rental saved the day and I had a great car for my ten day trip because of Avis!!!

Get buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I've rented cars from them now for three years and had no problems until now! I rented a car on 09/17/2020-09/20/2020 Nashville TN Airport location. I arrived to pick up the car and had to walk 15 minutes to get to the location. When I arrived I only saw Avis and Budget so the Avis representative checked me in and also directed me to the car location. The car was great a 2020 Toyota Avalon. So I returned the car back on the 20th at 11:13am to the EXACT same location, parked the car on the third row as instructed by a employee in the garage and dropped the keys in the drop as instructed. Three days later I am getting charged a additional day and more! My rental total was 183.03. They charge my credit card 268.00 way more than a additional day.

I called the company customer service. Very RUDE. File the claim and they tell me, "We will look at the cameras and verify drop off and charges will be corrected." LIES. Two days later I get a email at 8:00pm at night saying charges are valid, I called customer service again a rude rep and he says, "We are not negotiating with you. It's valid. I suggest you call your credit card." So I hung up and did so. I also emailed the airport supervisor with no response at all.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in how this was handle and will not be renting again since I am a long time customer with the first time having a issue and this is how they handled it was very piss poor. AND WILL BE TELLING ALL my referrals I sent to not rent again and will put this on every review I can making me pay for a day I didn't have the vehicle is STEALING and doing this time of our country situation is very sad and disappointing. Also when I looked at the the receipt they have me down for a Toyota 4Runner the wrong vehicle as well. I will put this on every review I can.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I got to the airport and there was no one at the counter. No signs telling us where to go and what to do. After finally getting an answer to go to Avis/Budget the lady up there did not care to help us out. I finally get my car and it stunk like cigarettes and weed. Then I flip up the back seat and it was covered in ashes. I had to return the car only to find the person behind the counter did not know how to work the Payless computer system as he was an Avis employee (and I will say he had excellent customer service). However when the Payless employee finally showed up to the counter he too had no idea how to work his own system.

He then told the Avis employee that I just had to wait for another employee to wrap up their break and I just had to wait another 10 to 15 minutes which I did patiently. Then when they finally fix the computer to re-open my order so that I can get a new vehicle they decide to give me a Buick Enclave and that was an upgrade from what I had originally asked for. However the minute I get into this car it has a huge burn mark in the driver seat. It’s stunk like cigarettes too. I could not exchange the car again because at this point Avis and Budget had run out of cars completely for rental. And then I find that the plates were expired. And when I called Payless and left a complaint. They said, "Sorry. Nothing we can do about it." It’s my fault though. I got what I paid for. The name Payless might as well change to garbage.

Original review: June 22, 2020

First, when I arrived at the Payless counter noone was there. There was a sign instead that told me to go outside to the Payless kiosk in the rental car garage. No one was in the kiosk outside either! A woman got out of a car and came over to me and told me that even though I had reserved a car to rent from Payless (and was on time to pick up the car) there were NO CARS AVAILABLE. Not a one!!!! REALLY?!!! Needless to say, I had to rent a car from another company and pay the walk up cost!

Original review: March 18, 2020

Payless Car Rental in San Diego is running a bait and switch operation. The way they work is to put some exceptionally low prices out on the travel sites. I made my reservation through Hotwire. Then when you arrive they have a zero adjustment policy. If your rental time is at 4:00pm then you have to be there exactly at 4:00pm. I arrived four hours early. Then they claim they have no car for you and offer the switch. First they offered me a bigger car for a lot more money. Then they said they had to add a whole additional day of rental to get the car 4 hours early. In the end, they gave me a smaller car at a higher price than what I had the reservation for. They also are very pushy about paying for rental car insurance coverage and demand proof of insurance coverage if you refuse to buy. This is not an upfront organization. You are better to pay more and rent from one of the more respectable rental companies.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I booked a car thru. Booking.com and the reservation was with Payless. I've never rented with them before and the quote was for 3 days for $94.44 for the cheapest car. I arrived at Austin Airport, the woman tried to upsale me saying all small cars were gone and offered a mini-van and I said no. I declined all extra insurance and she looked very unhappy. When I returned the car, I was billed $141 for 2 days and 2 hours of rental. It turned out that (and this is NOT on the contract I signed) I was required to return the car by 3pm which I wasn't aware of. The agent didn't point this out for me.

Furthermore, nowhere on the contract did it say that if I returned the car later, I would be billed close to $10 per hour...I think the woman purposely didn't mention anything and anyway this was NOT on the contract. I tried to talk to the customer service and the guy just kept saying the billing was correct. So I was billed $141 for renting the cheapest car on the selection for 2 days and 2 hours. This company doesn't do business honestly. It should not exist. Apparently, it is part of Avis? I don't understand how company can run business like that. This happened on 3/4-3/6 at the Austin Airport. Booking.com ref. is available upon request.

Original review: March 8, 2020

Made a reservation online for Pick up at San Diego airport. Price seemed pretty reasonable and didn’t think anything of it. Big surprise when I got to the counter, the actual price increased by 100% and agent who was somewhat passive aggressive stated that CA law requires me to take insurance with them. Never heard of that since I have been renting cars for a decade. Since I am covered with my credit card and personal car insurance - I always waive insurance provided by the rental car company. Also to note this is not a requirement, however, counter agent positioned it as such and told him to cancel my reservation. Went to Enterprise instead, paid less and did not have to take insurance with rental car company. I would recommend any car rental company BESIDES Payless which is actually PAYMORE and deceptive practices.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I recently had my first and only experience with Payless. I arrived late due to a technical issue with the airlines. When I gave my confirmation number to the representative, his first comment was "We already gave that car away but I will get you another car but there is a charge of $150.00 that will be added". It just seemed to go downhill from there, he demanded that I take the insurance and I informed him that my company policy covers me on any rental vehicles. He demanded that I produce the pink slip and that I contact the company to confirm coverage.

I have rented cars from all the major leasing companies and have always declined coverage and they have accepted it. There was no way of getting around this fellow so I accepted the coverage and as soon as I did that he dropped the $150.00 charge? When all was said and done on the paperwork, I spent another 1/2 hour waiting for a car. I went thru Expedia and points and will never do that again. Again, it's NOT Payless at the end it's PAYMORE!!! Save time, money and aggravation and deal with the better known rentals companies.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Rented cars several times. Use their shuttle service from Philly always. Every employee I have dealt with has been courteous, professional, and most important... ON TIME! I've dealt with a Sue and Brielle via phone, and Michael and James in person. They are a perfect 10 for 10 with me! I always get the size car I order, always with at least a half tank and return it same way. No surprises on my card which I have experienced with other companies before finding Payless. I will never go to another. 5 stars all day!

Payless Car Rental author review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information