Payless Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do not rent from Payless Car Rental, especially in Charlotte N.C. Charged for options I did not authorize. I have been renting cars for decades. Never opted for optional products/services in the past either. When I asked the employees at the rental site they told me these were airport charges which turn out to be a flat out lie. Attempted to contact company via phone. Was told I would be transferred to the supervisor "Peter". Let the phone ring 40-50 times each time with no one answering. That is not customer service.

Reserved car online for $236.61 through Hotwire. Told person I checked out with I didn't want anything else but bare bones for the contract. When I turned in car on November 19th, they charged $314.61. I disputed that and was told they would review it within 72 hours and get back to me. Today is the 29th. I've contacted the phone number several times about this with no response. Stay away from using them.

I do not usually complain about rentals but Payless treated us very unprofessional & unhelpful. My wife & I along with 2 friends landed at Sanford, Florida, there we rented a vehicle & hotel for the night. The next morning we were off to MCO to return our rental and pick up a rental from Payless for 2 weeks. When we arrived to pick up the car with our pre-approved car agreement our price had jumped from $388 Can. to nearly $900 US. I nearly had heart failure. The man at the desk was very unhelpful. I declined the rental to which the attendant wrote VOID on our agreement handed it back to me and disappeared. Spoiled the full day of our vacation trying to get another car rental. I am about to write a reply to TripAdvisor & any other website I can find. Very very unsatisfactory results.

On November 11 we arrived at JFK International Airport and proceeded to go to Payless to pick up a rental that we had reserved. Upon arriving I was told that even though we had paid $54 for insurance when we made the reservation we still had to pay an additional $14 per day because that insurance was not worth anything. Once we finally got the car it wreaked of cigarette smoke, I went back to the counter and explained to the agent that my husband suffered from asthma and we needed another car. She told us that there was no other car available in the economy category and she would be happy to cancel the car.

I would have happily cancelled except for the fact that it was almost midnight and the other companies had nothing available... We had a two hour drive ahead of us so we decided to take the risk. My husband ended up in the hospital the next day with a severe asthma attack. I tried calling the desk and no one answered the phone. This company absolutely lacks customer service and I will NEVER rent from them again.

We had a reservation with the company for a rental and was told that the cost was 165.91 and we declined extra coverage and they did not inform my husband there was a charge for it and he signed the papers and tried to also charge us 155.00 for gas for a car we filled up. They charged us 417.79 and then took off the gas and my card was charged 320.71. I will never use this company again and will not recommend them to anyone

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

When we arrived in Las Vegas, Payless had no more cars available and that during Thanksgiving week! We booked an economy vehicle but was offered a 12 seater van instead. They were not willing to help us because our flight was delayed and we waited for almost an hour for the bus to take us to the car rental center. They told us to wait for a possible cancellation. After 2 hours wait I went to ask and was told it was now after 12 so our rental was not valid anymore, so we were stranded unless we did new rental at 3x the price!!! Then the blond headed lady had a good laugh at our expense. Will never use them again.

I rented a car from Payless at the Kansas City airport for 3 days. Our flight was late and we were in a bit of a hurry, so I told the woman, "I don't want any insurance. Our personal auto insurance has very good rental car coverage. So I don't need any extra insurance." She immediately said, "I understand" and put a piece of paper in front of me that was all small print "Sign this. It is DECLINING all insurance coverage." Should I have carefully read through all of the small print? Yes. But I was in a hurry and given our conversation, I trusted what she was telling me. Well, guess what? She lied!

Upon returning the car, I saw the charge for insurance, which nearly doubled the total contract cost, and told her, "No, remember? I didn't want insurance coverage." But she showed me where I had signed the insurance contract. So they charged me for it. When I got home, I called them several times, speaking to different people including the manager. They all said the same thing. "We can't do anything about it now." I rent cars frequently, and I have never, ever, been so willfully and purposely deceived before. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY! There is a reason they have such crappy reviews everywhere. They may be the cheapest base rate, but they make their money elsewhere by scamming the customer!

These people have no compassion! My adult daughter and I are in St Augustine Fl visiting my parents (her grandparents). My mother died today! I will not be leaving Sunday as planned, however, my daughter has to go. I rented the car and am the driver. I called the car rental to let them know I need her to return the car. The representative and his supervisor, both uncompassionate idiots, said there was no way to work this out. The recommendation was to add her to the contract at the nearest Payless office. They recommended the St Augustine airport. I had to tell them the office closes at 5pm (it was 5:30 at the time of this call) but what do I know as the customer?! The next recommendation they had was to drive to Jacksonville (about an hour and a half north one way) to add her. Then return back to St Augustine tonight only to have her drive to Orlando at 6:30 in the morning!

I asked if there was a way to add her over the phone. This is an emergency situation. The answer was no. Ok, so I will drive her to Orlando, instead of tending to my elderly father who just lost his wife of 65 years. Although I would have had a ride to the airport for my flight later in the week and saved a little money, I have now rented a car from AVIS for the remainder of my stay since I have to get back to St Augustine for Funeral arrangements. I have rented several times over the past year from Payless. I normally fly into Jacksonville and not Orlando. The agents in Jacksonville have been awesome and it was their service that kept me coming back. Unbelievable how this all transpired this trip. I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER rent or recommend this company to anyone.

We rented on Expedia based on the "total costs" provided by Expedia. Expedia said the car would cost $184.77. I was charged $342.52. The only "add on" charge I authorized was the tank of gas for $34.36. The added on nearly $120 of "padded" expenses that were not authorized. We found this when we reviewed the receipt after drop off.

We have spent over 3 hours on the phone with Expedia and Payless. Expedia says they can't do anything (even though they are the ones that promised us this price). Payless hangs up on us when we start to state the problem. (Seriously!!! 3 calls, 3 hang ups!) Here is what happened. The car we rented in advance through Expedia was not available. We were offered a larger car (we were not told that this was going to be at an additional cost). It turns out we were charged $20 per day.

We declined all additional coverage since our own auto insurance takes care of this. We were charged additional taxes not indicated by Expedia. We were charged a one way fee! (We dropped off and picked up at the same place.) We returned the car 4 days later; were handed our receipt and went on with our lives. When we got home we noticed the receipt was almost double what we agreed to pay for "total charges". There were one way fees, insurance fees, taxes on taxes and more. Our $186 rental was over $300!!!

We chose Payless because they were less expensive than the others (as indicated by Expedia). Instead, we got old car that smelled like an ashtray and had the privilege of paying more for it than if we'd gone through one of the big guys. My advice... avoid Payless like the plague. They will stuff charges onto your bill and not tell you. The price you are quoted (even on other online booking sites) has nothing to do with the price you will pay. Reserving a car does not actually get you the car (even if you show when you say you will). Also, Expedia isn't owning up to this. They promised us one price and didn't deliver. Shady shady shady. Avoid.

I wish I had read the reviews about this company before renting a car there. I have never had a bad experience with a rental car company before this. This car was filthy - stains everywhere and even though the car was somewhat new it ran so rough we thought it was going to breakdown any moment. While we were driving away from the airport location a plastic seat part fell off of the driver's seat! My daughter looked up from her seat in the back and saw what looked like blood stains all over the headliner right above her.

We will never rent a car from Payless again. We called shortly after we got to our hotel to tell them about the broken part and stains in the car so we would not be held responsible for them. I asked for a return call as soon as possible since I could only leave a message - no live agents to speak with. We had the car for 5 days and never received a call back. Worst car and worst service ever!!! Do not rent from this company - it is a disaster!

First and the very last time in my life I've rented a car with Payless in Atlanta. Pickup was Nov 2nd in Atlanta airport. Despite having a prepaid reservation, the very rude rep told me that there is no cars me that wait time is about 2 hours. But I can cancel for free!!! There were substantial line of people in front of me who were waiting for over 4 hours. I just went and rented car with National. What a crooks. They just post artificially low prices to scam people in. Payless - never again!!!

I rented a car on paylesscar.com for the week of 9/28/16 through 10/04/16. Paid $220.77 for a week on line. Note: Unlike other places you make reservations, this rotten business charges you in full before you sign off!!! When I got to the counter to pick up the car in Denver, the woman behind the counter asked if I was here for business or pleasure. I told her that I was on vacation as a present to myself for retiring after 40 years. She said "Oh I see you are available for our corporate discount" and the charges were $114.51. I thought that was wonderful of her. I signed the contract indicating I would fill the tank, refusing extra insurance, etc.

When my bank statement came in, I found that they charged me for $220.77 AND $114.51!!! I called and open a dispute ticket with them and they said they would get back to me within 72 hours. After over a week, I went on line to check my open ticket, I saw they closed it with an explanation that I upgraded the car! They offered me a bigger car, an SUV as a matter of fact and I declined it! I am disputing through my credit card company. I signed a receipt for only $114.51 and that is all I am going to pay. DO NOT EVER RENT FROM THESE SCAMMERS!!!

I am still so angry about my encounter with this company. The amount of dishonesty was so apparent that the security guard that was called over to the counter to keep things from getting out of control knew it too! To make a long and aggravating story short I had a reservation and they switched not only my pick up time but my drop off time as well. I knew my arrival and departure flight times! Why would I make the return 6 hours earlier?

KEVIN and REBECCA at the Savannah airport were rude and not helpful at all! Because my pick up time was at 12 and we were at the Payless counter nearly 2 hours early they didn't have a car available. Rebecca said "A CAR WILL BE BACK AT 12." UGHH! They wouldn't give us a upgrade from my ordered fullsize car to a premium car which they had available. They said I could wait the 2 hours because that what the reservation time was. That was ridiculous. I'm here I have a res. Give me a car and I'll be gone. Nope!

For a $25 a day ($75) they had a premium car available. Against my better judgement I agreed to the up chargers. When I look at the bill the $75 dollars was now $275 and that was not including the 6 hours extra because of the 12 O'clock return time. WT!! I was not going to take that. My $133 dollar rate was now well over $300. I said "Give me back my original reservation at 12 and will wait." Well that rate was no longer available because I took out the new contract. BUT I NEVER SIGNED IT.

I was done. It was very obvious KEVIN and REBECCA were price gouging! When I ask KEVIN for a copy of contract with the $300 rate he said "NO!" "Let me take a picture? So that the credit card chargers are correct." "NO!" Kevin took them and threw them away. WHAT'S THAT SAYING?? He knew the priced of that car was highway robbery! BYE PAYLESS FOREVER!! You lost mine and anyone I know businesses!!! We took a cab to our hotel. I was upset and done.

I rented a Payless car through Orbitz for pick up at the San Diego Airport 19-25 October 2016. This car had not been cleaned and was in poor condition (high mileage, scratches, pings and dents) but I accepted the car and left. Shame on me. The final charge on the return date (as agreed in the rental contract) was 18.5% higher than the "Total Price" quoted Orbitz. Finally, the receipt was of such poorly quality that my employer would not accept it (almost illegible). I has to request a copy of the final receipt from customer service. This was my first and last rental with Payless Car Rental. Let the buyer beware!

I rented vehicle from Oct 22 thru Oct 25, 2016. I will not be renting a car from Payless anymore. Here are the problems. I rented a vehicle from Payless Rental Car at Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport. First they told me I needed to pay a $200 deposit. I asked them why, because I never had to pay any deposit from any other Rental Car Agency. I know if you use a Debit Card they require a deposit, however, I was using a Credit Card. Then I told her I did not want to pay for them to charge me for gas and that I was going to fill it up before I returned the car, however, when I checked out they had charged me $24.00 for the gas, so that delayed my drop-off time.

The major complaint I have is they gave me a car that had all kinds of scratches, black scuff marks all around it, the inside was dirty and it smelled like someone had been smoking in it and they tried to cover up the smell with some sort of air freshener. When we returned the vehicle at Atlanta Car Rental Complex, there was a long line and only 2 people working. We got to the airport early, which is a good thing, but it took too damn long for returns because of the long line. Also, there were people in line talking about how terrible their cars were. Never again.

This was a disaster from the time I rented a vehicle from Sky Harbor Airport until I got home. They do not fulfill the agreed upon price, even when in print. I was charged $964 for a signed rental agreement for $306. I used the van for 3 days putting on a total of 246 miles. They billed my credit card three different times for three different amounts, none of them was what it was supposed to be. They say all the extra charges were for fuel, however, the return receipt stated the van was full of fuel. I have been in contact with customer service for over 2 months now, and still not resolved.

I wish I didn't even give them a star there needs to be negative stars. We rented a car in Austin from September 11-17. When we turned the car in we got charged for extra coverage that we absolutely said NO for. We never get extra coverage on the cars we rent because we have enough coverage with our regular insurance and credit cards. We asked the girl at the desk to remove it. She said she tried but only a manager could do it and that managers weren't in on weekends. So I called first thing on Monday and then again on Tuesday and have spoken with almost everyone and NOTHING can be done!! I then emailed them a week or so later and still no response. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN! I've never had issues before with other companies. Lesson learned - cheaper isn't cheaper it's actually more.

My wife's vehicle was in the shop unexpectedly for a few days, so we rented a vehicle since she commutes throughout her day. We ended up finding a deal through our credit card company to rent with Payless at our local airport, and so we booked it. The reservation was for a Chrysler 200 ("or similar", of course), for 5 days and came out to $148--not bad.

Upon arrival, the agent informs me that they do not even carry the Chrysler, and that instead they have an Impala. If you've ever sat inside the base model of these vehicles, size indeed may be comparable, but the Impala doesn't hold a candle to the 200 in terms of luxury feel and features. But I'm more concerned about the fact that they advertise to rent a car that they don't carry under any circumstances. Not great.

They also tell me of the "optional" gas policy which I must agree to pay up front, but that I will be refunded any portion of the gas tank above 20% remaining upon return, and their gas rates are good so I play along. Get out to the vehicle (which they did not take me to, just told me which spot it was in and let me go), only to get in and have it completely inundated with pungent cigarette smoke and massive quantities of air freshener. I figure it'll die down over time, nor do I want to make waves, so I go with it.

Further along I drive this thing, the worse the cigarette smoke smell gets as the air freshener wears off, and soon enough I can't continue driving without the windows down because it's so strong. I get home that evening, open up a customer service ticket letting them know that given the grossly unmet promises, I want to just return the vehicle and pay them for the 1 day it was in my possession and go our separate ways. I get a response 18 hours later that they are sorry for the inconvenience, and they're "trying really hard."

I get back to the airport (which is 50 miles from my home, in case you're curious) to end this fiasco only to have the counter manager argue with me that the Impala is an equal substitute for the 200, while simultaneously agreeing that the 200 is a much nicer drive. Since that makes sense? Then he charges me the maximum daily rate instead because it's only 1 day I had it instead of 5, and that they don't reimburse the unused portion of gas "because then [they] would have to go out to the vehicle and check the gauge to know how much I used and that would just take too long. So [they] don't do that."

I explain to him what the original agent had explained to me, and that I wouldn't have agreed to it if that were the original case and he explains that, "Well I'm the one that trained him, and that's not what I trained him to do so, yeah. But it doesn't really matter what he told you anyway because our policy is our policy, and that one isn't even optional anyway, so I don't know why he would say any of that. So you just have to pay it."

End of the story? I pay out $79.37 out of the total original cost of $180 ($148 plus the gas) for only one day of use and over a half tank of gas left. That's right, a 60% increase in average daily cost for a reason that was their fault to begin with. I really wish that I had taken even 2 minutes to look up Payless Car Rentals before having made this reservation to see that they are unaccredited with the BBB with a current F rating, and 1 star a piece on Yelp and Consumer Affairs. After all this, there are two things of which I am certain--

1. I will NEVER do business with this company again and will actively discourage relatives, friends, business associates, and even complete strangers like you, the reader, from ever doing so as well, and

2. Payless Car Rentals ought to be grateful that sites like this have a minimum 1-star rating system that give the illusion that they even deserve 20% out of a possible 100% (5-star) rating, because the reality is that they are far from meriting even that one, pathetic star.

I rented a car at the Tampa Payless office. Our inbound flight had a hydraulic problem which would delay us for 90 minutes. It was 8pm and I was unable to reach the Tampa office, so called the 800# and was told Tampa facility was open until 1am so there would be no problem. I alerted them to my inability to reach the Tampa location and they again said not to worry. Landed at 11:30 pm and despite a huge kiosk/signage at baggage claim with big letters stating how easy it was to rent from Payless and "press this button reach the rental office", I again could not reach the Tampa location.

So now it's midnight, and I am stranded at the Tampa airport baggage claim with no way to get to my hotel for the night. Thank goodness I had just loaded the Uber app on my phone. They saved me. Called Payless to alert them to a potential problem and after 3 days of trying - Have been hung up on 3 times in 30 minutes, and now I'm sitting on the phone listening to it ring while I wait to talk to a supervisor. Just wondering if I'll ever talk to someone in charge. Whatever great rate you get from them, don't fall for it. They are terrible.

Thieves and liars. I was in Costa Rica for ten days and for the first five days of my trip, I rented a vehicle from Payless Car Rental in Alajuela. For the last five days of my trip, I rented a vehicle from Alamo, I believe also in Alajuela. I rented from two different companies because I had read some reviews on Payless and I didn't trust them, but the reviews were a little old so I wanted to give them a chance.

My issue with Payless, as it turns out, is the same complaint as in the old reviews. I was required to purchase CDW insurance even though my credit card covered that insurance. Well, I decided to believe them. After returning my vehicle to Payless, I went to Alamo. I explained to Alamo that I did not need their CDW coverage because my credit card would cover any damages to their vehicle. Alamo allowed me to rent their vehicle without the additional coverage. Alamo was honest and provided excellent customer service. When I return to Costa Rica, I will never rent from Payless Car Rental again. In fact, I tell all my friends to stay away from Payless Car Rental. I will go back to Alamo. They're outstanding.

Rented the vehicle on 07/20/2016. I was parked and T bone by another driver. Their Insured Company told the Payless Adjuster they were going to pay for the auto. Payless to this date has not gotten all the paper work for their auto so the insurance company can settle the rental car loss. I called the rental car company on the date of the accident and let them know where their auto was (tow yard) and explained it was a total loss as I was cut out of the auto. Payless did nothing except charge my credit card over $3,500.00 over and above my rental charge.

On top of that they have me down as a no Rent. I found that out weeks later when I went to rent a vehicle in Memphis. I had to have my customer come down to the Airport and rent a vehicle for me as I could not rent a vehicle. I've called the Payless adjuster and he told me he has no idea about this problem and could not tell me who to contact. I'm in dispute with my credit card company over this right now and most likely with have to sue Payless and Avis Group including and their President Ronald L. Nelson. I have informed all my client not to rent from Avis Group as this is what can happen to them.

Payless agents are crooks. First I come back with a full tank and on my final bill I see $ 36.00 for Gas. Now I have to send in my receipts for the gas. Glad I have them. Second they added Road side service when it was never offered or asked for. PAYLESS IS THE WORST OF THE WORST.

When I picked up my rental car in Raleigh, the amount was $30.50 over the amount shown on my Expedia ticket which already included the taxes and fees. The person at the counter explained that they had to "pre-charge me for gas" which assumed I would bring the vehicle back on empty. I actually filled the tank before returning the vehicle. When we drove into the lot I asked the attendant to please make note that the vehicle was returned full and credit me for the overcharge. He told me I had to go wait in line inside so even though we were in a rush to get on the shuttle we took the time to wait in line and request our credit. They assured me it was taken care of but now I see on my credit card statement that they did NOT credit me and so begins the saga of calling customer service. A horrible experience. I WOULD NEVER RENT FROM PAYLESS (PAY MORE!) AGAIN!

I travel to Denver and rent a car at Payless. I already pay for rent but when I get the car. They just asked me, "Do you want to add more money to get SUV car". I said "No". They print the receipt and let me sign. I sign and don't care about the money because I already paid. When I return a car and I see the money was expensive. I rent a car for $107 for 3 days but they add insurance and roadside service, so total is $324. Oh my god, then they said I already sign. Oh **. What happened? I'll never rent car at Payless anymore. They just want to get more money, they don't care, the service is so so bad. Before I rent a car another company, it's so good. They didn't charge any service and they ask you if you want to buy insurance or not.

I was overcharged for a rental vehicle in San Diego, California in October 2016 because the ticket agent asked me if I wanted to get any insurances with them. I stated that I absolutely did not want any insurance because I have ample insurance with my personal vehicle insurance policy. The agent asked me to sign on the kiosk and handed me the paperwork and I asked why the $186.00 difference from the quoted price and he stated that it was a deposit and would be refunded upon return of the vehicle. However, it was a charge for insurance I did not want and there is no refund. I have contacted them and they are not willing to do anything since they say the video is too old to view my response. This is a ploy to get more money. Be careful. This is the only company I have had a problem with since I have been renting vehicles since 1996. What a SCAM...

I rented a car at the San Diego Payless airport. When I picked it up I was handed a gps for the car like I requested. I took it out of the box and plugged it in and the reason why I requested the gps is because my phone would be roaming for internet service in San Diego because I'm out of state. After using the gps for a couple of days I noticed the charger part that goes into the gps the wires were very loose and the gps was not charging very well. I visited downtown San Diego the next day there again it would not hold a charge because of the wiring on the charger. Putting the address in for the place I was staying at the gps went dead. Because the charger would not charge the wires came out of the charger. I was very upset because I had no idea where I was at how to get back to my resort, and I was by myself. I left my phone at the resort so I did not have my phone with me.

I started driving around downtown and asking people where the hell the Payless car rental was. Again very upset and angry because you charged me $70 for something that doesn't work. I finally made it back to the car rental place exhausted trying find the car rental place on my vacation. I parked the car and a young girl came up to me. "She was not very friendly at all." I explained to her what the situation was with the gps, and she told me I would have to talk to this other girl. I waited about 15 min as she was just sitting in a chair looking through papers. I finally went up to her and said I need a different gps. I explained about the wires that came undone on the charger, and she said "you have only had this for 4 days and you're JUST NOW bring it back"... Her attitude was horrible... The customer service there is bad. She gave me a different gps no apologies at all from both of them.

I plug the gps in it barely has any charge go figure... And then I'm waiting and waiting for them to open the gate so I can get out. They did not help me at all with that. There was a guy that works there that was moving a car, and he could tell I was very upset and I was trying to leave. I explained to him my situation and "HE" apologized for the 2 young girls behavior. When I was leaving I went to the customer service area where you sign the paperwork for the car. I explained to the employee that was helping me the issue I had with the gps, and she said that I would not be charged for the gps because of the bs I had been through. I looked at my credit card statement and was charged for the gps... And I'm still waiting for a response. NO contact number for the corporate office email or fax number. Go figure. All I can say is if you don't want ripped off don't rent from Payless...

Will never be renting a car from them again. Already been charged extra fees after final receipt twice! And it's been three weeks since we've rented the car. Already spoke with customer service and told numerous times they would contact us and be giving us our refund and check on it again today and they pull out yet again more money. The company is a ** joke and should change their name from Payless to pay4ever! Don't ever rent an car from these bastards!

Rented a car from Payless at Sky Harbor airport. Original rental was for 9 days at $50.00 per day/$200.04 per week. Declined all optional coverage with contract total of $432.72. Had a family emergency and needed to return car early after 6 days. I first tried to call the number on the rental jacket to arrange for early turn in. The number listed was not Payless, but Budget rental. I then searched all paperwork for a number which I finally located. They told me I had to arrange it with the local Payless office and gave me a different number which then rerouted me back to the national number. After at least 2 hours trying to get through to the local office, I gave up. Took the car back the next day and explained the situation. They indicated that I had signed a contract with a minimum of 9 days at the agreed upon price. No adjustments would be made.

I was amazed they could not make adjustments for me, however, when they ran my final receipt, they included a $37.50 "one way charge" and a $10.00 extension fee for bringing it back early. Not only that but they changed my daily rate from $50 to $103 and weekly from $200 to $309. The car was a Nissan Juke for $103 per day. My total mileage was 73 miles for 6 days. My final bill was $429.00 after having them remove the "One way charge". The car was returned to the same place it was rented from. The manager Lora ** could not explain to me even what the extra charges were for. She was cold and bitter. We have laws to protect consumers from fraud like this. Why does the rental car industry get away with it?

We explained when we picked up the car that we had AAA and did not want or require any insurance. When I looked over the documents, I saw that we were being charged for Roadside assistance. When I told him that we did not want this service, the agent insisted that it was a mandatory fee. When I got home & reviewed the receipt, I saw that it said "Optional" and I called and he again said over the phone that it was mandatory. I disputed it with Payless, and they said that it was optional but because I signed the forms, I opted to purchase it and they could not refund it. The car also reeked of smoke - they said it was their only car and sprayed it with Febreeze. BOTTOM LINE - don't do business with these people!!

So I was doing some digging on the Payless Car Rental website and it clearly stated that the Credit Card hold is $200 but yet the Johnstown PA is telling me that they are a private franchise so they have different policies. So I asked the representative where can I find their policies online and she couldn't tell me where I can so I told her explain to me how that works. And she kept repeating that they are a private own franchise. So these were the events that took place on numerous occasions when I went to get a rental car. One minute their credit card hold is $250 and debit is $350 and the other is the credit and debit is $350. But the website clearly states that the credit is $200 and the debit is $350 plus the cost of the rental.They then went on to say that along with the debit card they need a utility bill or a bank statement.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.
  • Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.
  • Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.
  • Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.
  • Best for Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Compare Rental Cars