1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1059 Payless Car Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We rented a car in San Diego in late October. The experience was not what we were expecting. They lie and try to trick you into paying more for upgrades. The car was disgusting and I felt like I needed another shower after driving it. I will NEVER rent from them again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We booked online and ended up being nickel and dimed to death with fees so paid twice what we expected for a crappy little Nissan. Notice that your confirmation does not have an am or pm so they tried to charge me a late fee for not turning my car in at 3:30 am. I know I selected pm online. They also try to talk you into paying $10-25 more per day for an all wheel vehicle because there might be snow. Like a front wheel drive won't work in snow. I wish I could post you my bill so you can see how shady this company truly is. DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERE. I wish I would've checked more online reviews as there are articles warning against it. HEED the WARNINGS! RENT elsewhere! You can tell the counter representatives see every person walking in as a SUCKER! Denver Airport Location.

Get expert buying tips about Rental Cars delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Rented a Payless car thru Kayak website for a few days in Orlando Airport area. Returned it today 10 Nov 2018. Gal with dark hair tried to aggressively double my cost when I rented it. I told her I didn't need any insurance cost and she quickly said it's required several times. She also increased tax double what my rate on website was. I won't rent from them again...very aggressive and not at all ethical.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was told it would be $160 for a weekend. I was charged $346. I couldn't find the fine print where the would justify the hidden fees. It appears that the fees only appear on the final receipt. I'm pretty sure they just lied and stole my money.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Payless has an F rating from the BBB for deceptive business practices. That's all you need to know. I wish I had, they offered me a "free" upgrade, but ended up charging me an extra $113 for insurance. I declined. Should be to easy to fix right? Nope, they fought me tooth and nail for three months, refunded half, then took it all back when my credit card company got involved. I've since found out this is a common practice, the desk agent will tell you to sign to decline, but you are actually accepting the insurance. I will never use these guys again. You shouldn't either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I rented a vehicle from Payless at the San Francisco Airport. I got a flat tire in Yosemite National Park. I called Customer service, and they said to drive to Fresno, Ca. on the donut spare tire. I was advised by a mechanic that the tire was not safe to drive the 150 miles to Fresno. I called customer service back, and explained the situation, and was told to purchase a new tire, and I would be reimbursed upon returning the vehicle. Upon returning the vehicle, I was told there would be no refund.

After a discussion with the manager Mr. Robert ** I was given a partial reimbursement. I forwarded all the information to the corporate headquarters, and was told that there would be no further reimbursement. I find Payless management in San Francisco, and the corporate office derelict in honoring the customer service instructions, and forgoing the safety of a customer and family for the sake of the bottom line. I would advise to rent a vehicle from another car rental company when the need arises.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We rented online through Expedia. Got there first of all, did not get the vehicle as described, was suppose to be a small SUV, was given a small car. Was asked on site if we needed a GPS in vehicle, which we did because of some traveling around to outside areas, and marked it as such. No GPS was in car, and they would not give up one without a HUGE upgrade charge. Then when quoting us the total amount, was way above (doubled) what the amount was suppose to be, I asked why, and was told it was for INS, which I then explained we had full coverage on our vehicles and it also covered any rental and we would NOT need that, to please remove it. She seem to do so, or said she did.

Upon closing, my husband stepped up to sign, since card was in his name. He did not read the contract, but trusted her since she had just confirmed by mouth the correct amount. Upon return of the car, we realized she billed us for "Loss Damage Waiver" amount of $188.16. Before paying we tried to explain that to the lady at the counter. She was NOT going to correct it. It was a contract and we had signed it, therefore, owed it!! So whatever you do "READ" every word on your contract before you sign it!!! I will never use Payless Car Rental again!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had a bad experience. Do not rent from Payless Car Rental! Their contracts are one-sided protecting only them but not the customer. You cannot get customer service on the phone and you will wait hours. I didn't rent a car at the end and they took my money and didn't give it back! They lie over the phone. They say they one thing but do another. I am suing them in court now. This is my cancelation number ** by them. You're all welcome to call me and I'll tell you why not to trust them!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

They charged me $123 a month after I had rented the car with them for a "tire repair" that did NOT happen while I had the car. When I returned the car, everything was in top shape and the inspection was flawless. When I called their customer service to solve this matter, they always gave excuses that they couldn't find my records or confirmation number. Then they started saying that their system was down. Then they told me to resolve the matter with RentalCars.com whom I used to make the reservations through. They couldn't solve the problem since they weren't the ones charging me. Overall, This company is a scam! DO NOT GO WITH THEM, YOU PAY MORE WITH PAYLESS. If I could give them 0 stars, I would.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I rented Nissan Altima at a Payless Car Rental location very near Chicago Ohare Intl airport on 3/26/18 and returned it intact 3/30/18, after making reservation for 4 days online with full payment of $177.96 including Concession Recovery Fee, Customer Facility Charge, Vehicle License Fee and Sales Tax on 3/18. However I found Payless charged extra $28.26 and then $124.44 to my credit card without any notice in advance and even afterwards.

Not wanting to waste time arguing with them I determined to consider the $28.26 as e-Toll fees, but I sent Payless my letters a couple of times requesting for their explanation of why and under what pretext they unilaterally charged the extra $124.44 to my credit card afterwards, though I had paid their billed total amount in advance. But they'd never replied to my letters, whiling sending payment demanding notices only a couple of times.

Then they simply sent my case to a collection agency. Last week I tried to rent a car at Budge Car Rental, but was refused because there is an unpaid debt on my credit record. I think this is the very Payless's untrue, baseless and false extra charge issue. I need help to get this false debt cleared by Payless in this most civilized and advanced country in the world.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We were unable to rent a vehicle from PAYLESS as the computer would not let the agent set up an account for us. First, she blamed the credit card company. We called them and they told her that "we could buy the car if we wanted to." Then she said that we had an open ticket with BUDGET Car Rental, which we had canceled, and this was not letting her set up an account for us. On our next credit card statement, PAYLESS charged us for a vehicle we DID NOT RENT and reported that we had driven 1400 miles. We have tried to settle this with them but no one ever returns our calls, letters or emails. Before doing any business with them, go online and read the reviews. Once you've done so, you will learn that this company (who is affiliated with BUDGET and AVIS) is as bad as the Ebola virus. Like Ebola, avoid PAYLESS.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented a vehicle from Budget originally down in Orlando Florida, but when I went to pick up my vehicle they transferred me to Payless because they could “offer a lower rate”. Like any customer, I was excited to pay even less. However, I fully regret ever letting them hand me over. The customer support I received was horrible. I needed to extend my rental by 10 hours. Just 10 hours. They wanted to charge me over $50 for my basic car rental!

I then informed them I just searched I could return this car and rent another from a different company for $30, why are you charging me so much? The call center representative couldn’t answer that. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. He wasn’t available. Really? I’ve worked in a call center help desk setting before, there are ALWAYS supervisors on duty. Multiple. I requested the supervisor call me back when they returned. The representative claimed it would take 15 minutes.

An hour later I call back because I still had not heard back. Supervisor is in a meeting. So where are the others? Again can’t answer my question. Representative hangs up on me because he claims there’s nothing he can do for me. Put me on the phone with a supervisor! This place is a scam! I’ve never dealt with such horrible terrible customer service. I will never rent from this company again and will make sure I tell everyone I know who travels to avoid them at all costs!!!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I picked up a minivan in Denver and booked it to Las Vegas. Once there I could not find another rental, any company. I drove this rental to Orlando. My final destination. Called and informed Payless before I left Nevada, no quote. $3,000.00! Also a day later than planned since the Payless was inside a TGIF Fridays, no signs. Kirkman Dr Orlando. No damage, full of gas.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Ana at the call center extremely rude and no help whatsoever. Giggling the phone call. Her supervisor, Josh ** (so they told me), I assume refused to answer my transferred call after 20 or so odd minutes. I will never be renting from this company again. Worst car rental experience thus far. I still have no real information and no receipts. I will also be letting my colleagues know about their poor business.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We returned our car in perfect condition. Nothing was mentioned about damage at the time (because there was none). Over 2 months later I noticed a $184.00 charge on my credit car from Payless. I called and they said they would get back to me in 72 hours. I called again after a week of no notification and was told it was for windshield repair. There was nothing wrong with the windshield when we returned it. And we were never notified that there was supposedly damage and that they were charging us for it. They just billed our credit card... probably hoping we wouldn't notice. Phone calls just want you to go through the same loop again and I could not get a manager to speak with. Very shady! Never rent from Payless!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Never ever use Payless Car Rental! Completely fraudulent company. Bait and switch, fast talking agent overcharged and added charges that we didn’t know about. Had agreement for 262.00 for Ford Explorer. Paid almost 500.00 for dirty minivan. Was told they didn’t have our car (we saw it in the lot). Beware and read all reviews about Payless. None of them good! This company needs to be investigated!!! Total fraud. No way to reach anyone to fix complaints. Customer service told us to wait for our open ticket to be looked into. Ended up reopening ticket still to no avail. Customer service said to just wait. Had no other information for us. Have waited much too long!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Payless Car Rental is the absolute worst car rental facility EVER!!! Rented a filthy dirty car that was on the verge of breaking down the whole trip, the rudest customer service I’ve ever experienced, and waited on a bus for 20 min. while our driver took a smoke break! Unfreakinbelievable. Please pass this along and get them out of business!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I reserved a car through Expedia (reserve now pay later) something I've done a many times, when I arrived to the Payless Car Rental to pick up my car I was told my reservation had been cancelled because after midnight the system resets, but it wasn't midnight yet... and I rented the car for midnight because my flight was scheduled to arrive in Phoenix at 11:45pm... I landed early and I arrived early to Payless around 11:45p. The lady at the desk said that she would match the price I agreed to on Expedia.

After two attempts to get me to sign a car rental agreement (thank God I read them because they were higher than Expedia) she found a lower rate than Expedia! I thought that was weird but I accepted the blessing and went to pick up the car... immediately I noticed a few damages to the trunk and the gas hand was not full. I documented it with the agent that appeared offended and after several min of conversation about the gas hand, I sign a form documenting the problems, he releases the car... when I returned the car in the exact same condition including the gas hand the agent asked do I want a receipt or can they email it... I told him to email it... I asked, "Was everything ok?" He said, Yes you're all good..."

I leave to take my returning flight to Chicago once, I land and get a min to settle down (the next morning). I check for the charges and can you believe it I have been charged double from my signed agreement! And $100 more than the charges for Payless on Expedia. When I called to ask, "Why? Whats going on?" I was told it would take a few days to get the invoice because my initial agreement with Expedia was cancelled! When I stated, "How can you see a cancelled agreement (your company cancelled) and not my signed agreement?" He was became rude even threatened to not send the request for the invoice through.

When I asked for a manager I was told the manager was busy and would tell me the same thing as he... when I told this extremely rude person to let me speak to the manager anyway the rude person put me on hold returned after a short time and said, "The manager is busy. Goodbye," and hung up! I looked up Payless corporate number and was re-routed back to the Phoenix airport location...

Please please beware of Payless Car Rental company in Phoenix airport, read reviews and take them seriously. I usually do and I didn't this time... I have disputed the charges with my bank and will post this review on all the third party sites, Yelp, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Bookit.com, etc. I'm also going to report them to BBB after reading all the reviews and submit a report to the eyewitness news team that look into scams...

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Rented a car from Payless at their Midway Airport (Chicago) offsite location. Returned car the next day only to find that they had closed their location and moved it permanently without telling me creating a tremendous return hassle. Then they sent me a bill with an additional unauthorized charge. Very poorly run company and not worth the few dollars you save on their rate. I believe they are incompetent at best and dishonest at worst. I will never rent from them again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We booked the car rental through our travel share, it was low cost as we were on a very tight budget. It was to be around $200. This was in Las Vegas. We filled everything out, we had never rented a car before, so this was a new process. The lady was super nice, and very very friendly. She gave me the paperwork, and the bill was like $500... I freaked, and said this can't be right, this is wrong, she assured me that once the car was brought back, it would be the $200... I had cash to pay it, but they said I had to use credit card, and it would it be charged until we brought car back.

I get my credit card statement, and it was almost 700, and even after disputing it and getting angry they reimbursed me only %20. I will never ever recommend this company. No personal calls, strictly emails back and forth. AND, the car we had, my husband thought the thing was gonna fall apart while driving... Lol it was bad. Payless rips you off, felt very ripped off, and still very angry.

Original review: July 23, 2018

l rented a car on July 6. l was charged 145 and some change. l returned the car on time with a full tank of gas and no damage. On July 16 l received another fee of 165.51 so l called the local agent and they said her corporate could not do anything because it was rented from Payless Corporation. So l tried to contact the office but they can only be contacted via email. It is now July 23 and they have closed my account for the second time stating they could not see an overcharge. This company has caused my account to overdraft several times and they refuse to get me my money. They are unprofessional, they take their time to resolve anything and the account doesn’t allow you to send more than one picture. l would not recommend anyone to reserve a car online from this company. My lawyer was contacted.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I rented a car online and picked it up at the airport in Austin, Texas. When I picked up the car, I noticed that the driver's side mirror was already broken. I pointed it out to the clerk who was handling my car pick-up, and she made a note of it on my paperwork. When I returned the car, they checked the gas level and sent me on my way. Two weeks later, I received a letter to my home address, saying that they were going to charge me for the damaged mirror, even though they'd already made a note of it when I picked up the car as the damage was already there. I've tried multiple times to contact them and I keep being given the same phone number and told to call them.

I now have two claim numbers, but no way to actually submit the paperwork to them showing that the clerk marked the damage on the paperwork when I picked up the rental car. And no way to contact the people who work at the Austin airport where I would assume that paperwork showing the damage would live. The phone number just goes to a call center and not to anyone who actually works for the rental company. And the letter says they will charge me the damages fee a week after they sent out the letter, and there's no real way to file a dispute against the charge and proof that the damage was already there. Horrible customer service, and horrible company.

Original review: July 21, 2018

**Beware** You will get scammed. I had the price quote from Priceline and also bought the insurance through Priceline. Payless gave me a very old car with an aftermarket stereo that didn’t work. Payless forced for to buy their insurance and I paid almost $900 more than I had planned. The car sometimes didn’t want to start. For the rainforest the wipers were torn and old and just smeared dirt around. The return I made arrangements to have them pick up at the hotel. When I arrived home back in the states I had an email indicating the car was missing. I called the hotel and they told me the keys were still there and no had come to get it. Maybe Payless wanted to claim all the insurance money on a missing car. Horrible experience from start to finish.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I rented a car in Seattle Washington (airport). I returned the car with NO damage and in June, I get a bill from Payless stating that I had done glass damage to the car, which was not the case. They charged me $184.00 for this. I called and opened a ticket and got an email stating that they were sorry, but I was being charged due to the damage. I replied many times to the email stating that there was NO damage and requested a phone call to speak to someone regarding this matter. It has been 2 weeks and got no reply, so I called back to customer complaints again and they said the ticket was closed, that they could open it up again, which they did. I requested someone please contact me by phone so I could ask some questions about what they were saying I damaged and to tell them that there was NO glass damage.

I get an email 4 days later with a bill from Safelite Glass Corp. stating solar w/ third visor frit, whatever that means for $184.00. Which told me nothing about what the damage they are claiming I did. They closed the ticket again, so once again I replied that I would like to talk to someone and that I wasn't paying for damage I didn't do. I called my credit card company and did a dispute, so for now, awaiting results on that. My biggest complaint is that they charged me for something I didn't do, and that I can get no one to contact me by phone, I have even tried calling the Seattle airport direct and can get no answer there either. When I had this rental car, the windshield wiper blades were so bad that I had to replace them, so that I could see to drive. They did reimburse me for the blades.

Original review: July 18, 2018

San Diego Airport Rental is terrible - I rented a car through HOTWIRE for 32 dollars a day with Payless. When I get to the desk, the sales employee tells me this car is too small for me and my 2 children. He tells me I need to upgrade and basically tells me the cost would be 550 dollars for 6 days... that's 91 dollars a day. I ask him if that is with the military discount, he then states it would be 492 dollars total. The car was a terrible car and I did not feel safe in it with my 2 children. I was charged all these additional fees and cost of this rental was more than my whole trip. I tried to call to complain but customer service just blew me off. I feel stupid for not looking into this company before I went ahead with the car rental. Worst experience I ever had with a car rental company and I will never rent from them again and I will tell the world not to either.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Never ever rent from these liars. I did not agree to their insurance and they checked that box. They are criminals. No one ever ever cares to do the right thing. If they end up doing the right thing for me I will retract this. I highly doubt it. I will never rent a car from MCO Orlando Airport again!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I reserved a car online with Orbitz for an economy car from Payless for my wife. A nine day rental. The quote was $199 with all state and local taxes included. When she arrived they told her there was a $209.81 deposit. Quite an odd number for a deposit. Stupid, but understandable - we expected a deposit. She specifically asked for no added extras and declined their insurance. Because she declined their insurance, she was charged $99 for declining their insurance. Why should we have to pay for insurance when our own insurance covers rental cars? There were a total of 10 "other charges" that totaled $260.53 add that to the $199.28 that was the actual cost of the car rental and the total was $459.81 before adding the $209.81 for the deposit. So the total at the time she rented the car was $669.62. We were told $199.28 was due at time of rental. In reality, it was more than three times that.

Payless Car Rental at the San Diego Airport - My wife complained about the deposit and she was told they wouldn't charge her the deposit. On the day of rental, our account was charged $209.81 (deposit fee) and another charge for $250. The next day the $209.81 charge was no longer pending (it had been processed) and the $250 had dropped off our account. On July 12th, 2018, 4 days after she returned the car, they again charged the $250 that had originally been charged but then dropped from our account.

My biggest issue is: $99 for declining their Collision Insurance - Seems like that should be illegal! $9 vehicle license fee, 26.55 RSA fee - wanted to decline roadside assistance but was told it's mandatory, $3.95 for using a debit card (that could have been charged as a credit card), $37.08 Airport concession fee. There are other smaller charges as well.

I don't blame Orbitz - although I will never rent a car through them again. Now, after researching Payless, I blame myself. I should have done my research ahead of time. Based on what I have found since researching Payless, they have a long history of making people pay all the additional charges. In fact, it seems that is how they make their living. Their profit doesn't come from renting cars, it comes from all the extra fees they either tell you are mandatory or they slip in hoping you don't notice. I suspect other car rental services do the same stuff. But it should be illegal to be given a quote when you rent a car that says "Amount due at time of rental: $199.28" When in reality you are going to walk out of there paying $500.

My advice is to stay away from Payless (part of AVIS) and do your research before you rent a car. The economy car she was given was in bad shape and as base of a model as you could get. No power windows or power anything. Just a car that had a sputtering engine. Please do your research so we can stop making these companies rich because they feel they can get away with it.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Rented two full size SUVs on June 23, 2018. Arrived on time to proceed with rental. Was told that my four passengers each carrying a medium size bag would not fit into a Hyundai Santa Fe, which by their definition, was the "full size" SUV that I had reserved. This claim was repeated for the second SUV with 4 passengers and similar size luggage. I had reserved each car for $500 for 7 days, or $1000 total.

Agent: "BUT, we can put you in a real full size SUV Ford or Chevy for $2000 more." Me: But that is a total of $3000 versus the $1000 I reserved!!! Agent: "Yes, but you will not fit into a Hyundai Santa Fe. We have had rush on SUV rentals in Denver and all rental car companies are sold out. So this is your only option. Do you want it or not?" The agent brought his manager over and he too said this was our only option. THIS IS A SCAM. We made a different arrangement. When we left Payless, we saw hundreds of rental cars at other rental car company lots at DIA.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I rented a car from the Baltimore airport location in May. It was a 3 day rental, the car sucked but who cares, it was cheap. $158.00 was the cost for 3 days and the $158 was charged to my credit card the day I got home. Fast forward nearly two months and they hit my credit card for 901 yesterday. NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. The only explanation I can get is that I ran a toll (I did do that because I forgot it was there and didn’t have cash). I told the woman at the counter that I ran the toll. She told me not to worry about it that they would just bill me for whatever the toll amount wise. The toll was $10, NOT 900!!! The person I spoke with yesterday was quite rude and told me there is nothing further he can do for me. I have no idea what kind of war I am going to have to wage with them to get my money back, but I have never had this issue with Enterprise. I guess you get what you pay for.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I never write a review but if this saves anyone from the grief of what I have experienced it's worth it. First of all the economy car rental is a piece of garbage. It has no power anything, and was so archaic I had to get an upgrade. I originally needed the car for 3 days but ended up only needing it for 1 day. I brought it back and explained to them just that and that I also needed to be credited back for the gas I prepaid for. The women was extremely rude and asked me if I had a receipt for the gas I filled the car up with. I said no. I didn't know I needed to bring a receipt in. I thought you just could look at the gas gauge. She told me to calm down. I asked if I could get a receipt for the final charges and she told me it would be emailed to me. Well she never credited me back for the two additional days.

I had to call customer service who then tells you they have to open a ticket for someone else to help you. They would contact me via email. I then get an email highlighting my gas credit. Like that was solving the problem... I ended up calling my credit card and stopping all payment to them. This is the WORST car rental experience I have ever had. Customer service sucks and so do their cars. Some guy picked up his rental car and the tire was flat. They told him they would air it up for him! He said no and wanted a new car. I then witnessed them airing up the tire and putting it back in line to be rented. Unbelievable!! STAY AWAY.

Payless Car Rental expert review by Lauren Fix

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.

• Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.

• Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.

• Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.

• Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.

• Best for: Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Payless Car Rental Company Information