Payless Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Why I choose Payless, because it's cheap, however, it's a total Wrong. I rent a car at Miami International Airport Payless in December 22nd, 2016. The total amount from the contract is 700 dollars. Since I have a flight to catch, so I return the car into another Payless store. Finally they deduct me 1300 dollars!!! It's unfair, I called Payless Miami International Airport, the phone directly transfer to customers service. I told my problem to customer service. They said they can't found my name and information!!! I try over 50 times, no one pick the phone at Miami International Airport Payless store. The phone automatically transfer to the customer service!! I went to the bank, the bank said they can't cancel the transaction, because I have the contract with Payless, it's not fraud!!! Currently, they deduct me extra money, but nobody help me solve this problem!! I hope you guys don't choose Payless, because I don't want you guys be deceived again!!

I rented a car from the Denver Airport location Oct. 23rd. I arrived late at night, tired and still had a two hour drive. I agreed to the refuel fee but there were other charges I did not agree to. I only realize this after I had left the location... my fault! When I returned the car I didn't fuel the car but I had over a 1/4 of tank. I expected that Payless would only charge me for the fuel used... Wrong! My thought at that time was that will never happen again as I will be much more careful if I ever rent a Payless car in the future!

The first week in December I noticed an unauthorized charge of $50 on my credit card. After reading "Term & Conditions" I assumed that I must have gotten a red light camera violation or a toll violation... neither of which I am aware of doing. I immediately disputed the charge because I EXPECT a letter, bill or something informing me of the charge to my credit card. To date I still have not received any communication from Payless why I was charged a fine. After the last unsuspecting charge and doubling the price of the rental behind the rental company I will NEVER choose Payless as my choice. I have rented from several other companies and Payless tops my list of unethical business! I don't feel that Payless is worthy of a one star rating!

This happened at the Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima Peru. I had used Payless there a few months before and that time everything was fine so tried them again for a New years getaway. This time it was a disaster. I called them before arriving and they sounded like wanted me to change the type of car I had reserved. I reserved a full-sized pickup as I had planned a rafting trip and needed such a vehicle to carry the gear. So I thought they were just trying to get me to lower my reserved vehicle for somebody else but would honor my earlier reservation.

I arrived at the scheduled time and they claimed the vehicle had mechanical issues and they'd let me know in a few minutes about the status, but it looked all phony, and they kept trying to offer me a four-door car so then they call back and said the vehicle is not available. I asked what was wrong. They couldn't tell me. Just for kicks I asked what they would charge me for that 4-door car and they said the same as my reservation. A plain car like that goes for about half of what they charge for full-sized pickup.

I checked other web-sites for a rental of the similar pickup and they all had it for twice the amount of my reservation, so more than likely they gave my reserved vehicle to somebody else for the higher price and left me out in the cold and in fact ruining all my scheduled plans. So as a warning to other users BEWARE of this especially on big holidays time. Also I had this reserved through Expedia but I don't think they do anything about or have a place to place reviews so other users are warned.

I rented a car in November 2016 from Payless. If you look at the internet, you will find that it is replete with complaints about false allegations, overcharges, and other issues. Today I received a call from a insurance company representing Payless stating that there were damages to the rear of the car that I rented. There were no damages to the car. We had a completely uneventful rental. No accidents, no scratches, no nothing. We merely took it to a hotel and back. I inspected the car before and after returning it and the person handing me the receipt at the airport walked around the car and made no statement to us at any time about any damages. I have rented several cars over many years with no damages and have an excellent driving record. Two months after renting they are alleging that there were damages.

I spoke with my State Farm agent, who felt it was a major discrepancy that I was receiving notice with a delay of over two months about alleged damages. This car has likely been rented several times since then. I was called from a number that was listed as "unknown" and a voicemail was left on my phone, referring me to an agent with a claim number, although there were no indication whatsoever as to what the damage was, no photographs, and no information even about the rental. I have to believe, based on this instance and the numerous complaints on the internet, that this is not honest.

Hopefully this is a mistake, but there are multiple, very poor reviews of this company on the internet, including other people who have been accused of allegations of damage where there was none, and multiple complaints about adding charges when they were unwarranted. My strong recommendation is that you never rent from this company. I have reported this to my attorney as well as my insurance agent.

I was charged $213.85 upon return of the vehicle for insurance that we said we did not need. I was told by Juan that all conversations were recorded and if the audio indicated that I was correct that I would be credited. Since then I've not been able to get Laura ** from Payless to tell me what they found on this audio.

I was told that I initialed that I wanted it. I did initial in all the spots that I was told to initial. My mistake for not reading everything. I put too much trust in these people. The customer service rep clearly screwed me intentionally and no one from the company cares. I can see now that based off all the bad reviews on Payless that seems to be how they operate. Do not use this company under any circumstances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

I waited 45 minutes for a shuttle to car lot. I saw other rental agency shuttles pass by 4 or 5 times. The driver and counter help showed no concern. I was late for the wedding I was attending because of the poor service. To add insult to injury the rates I was quoted were misleading. An additional 35% was added for extras. Shoddy service and lack of concern for the customer means I will never use this company again. Very shady operation.

I've recently rented a car and my plane was late. So I got there a couple hours late. The guy the counter said you only do on time car rentals that I was unaware of. The guy wanted to charge me an extra hundred and some dollars more. I was going to walk out so he gave me some kind of a discount and it only cost $50 more. However the car I rented smell like gym socks! Thanks for the start of a good vacation.

I rented a car from Payless 12/27/2016 to 12/30/2016 from the General American Rentals in Hanover MD. The first vehicle I rented had a horrible smell of tobacco smoke in the interior of the vehicle. I asked for a different vehicle and was given a different one. When we got into the new vehicle I noticed the interior of the vehicle had not been cleaned from the people that had rented the vehicle before me. The windows on the inside and out were dirty, the front window looked like someone sprayed a chemical on the window and did not wipe it off, the floors looked like they were vacuumed a little, the dash, console, doors, and every other item in the vehicle was not touched. The vehicle's interior had a odd smell.

I had my son and grandson with me and they also noticed the dirty vehicle and the smell. I was on my way to pick up my other grandson. He also noticed the smell but we make the best of it. I cannot say the problem with the vehicle made our vacation bad but riding in the vehicle would have been a better experience. I like the price of the rental but I do not know if I will rent from Payless again. For lower prices is this what I can expect the next time I rent from Payless?

I too was scammed by Payless. I rented a car for 5 days over Christmas in Denver. I gave them my quote from CarRentals.com the total was 269.81. The gentleman asked me if I wanted an all wheel drive because really bad weather was coming (which never happened), he mentioned nothing about any additional charges - I should have asked. He said I needed the insurance. I told him I already purchased it through CarRentals.com. He insisted that I needed to get collision through them, I said no.

So he handed the papers and said - he told me to initial in 4 spots and sign. So I did. I had no reason to question it. I have been renting cars for years. My first time and last time through this company. They charged me 726.50!!! 457 for car and the rest was all additional. I don't even know they are except 83 dollars in taxes! When I tried to complain they opened a ticket. The response was just a picture of my signature. NEVER AGAIN. My Christmas was ruined.

Left a message with Payless and submitted a ticket to inquire why I was charged $339.94, because I already paid the required quoted amount $165.84 through Avis when I picked up the vehicle. There should not have been any additional charges for that vehicle as I brought it back with a full tank and turned it in way before the time that was required. Rented vehicle on 12/22/2016 for the quoted amount of $165.84, which was paid upon pickup at the Avis counter in Reno/Tahoe Int'l Airport at 12:26 AM.

First issue, windshield wipers were inefficient in rain and continually made noises. Second issue, had a flat tire and tried to put the donut tire on, but there's no lug nut key to take off the lug nut covers on the tire, which prevented me from being able to change it. I was stuck on I-80 westbound with high traffic flying by and stranded on the side of the Interstate. A passerby stopped who happens to work on tires and had a lug nut key and put the donut on for me. I took the car to the next closest location, Goodyear, to get a tire put on or see if the flat could be repaired. Unable to repair the flat so I had to buy a new tire at $97.25. The service tech at Goodyear said the tire pressure on all four tires were over inflated, which could have caused me an accident given the weather conditions at that time. Goodyear reset all tires once they put the new one on.

I dropped off the vehicle on 12/26/2016 at 3:37 AM, again, no Payless associates available so I dropped the key in the Avis box and went to catch my flight. Needless to say, I'm extremely dissatisfied and upset with my car rental experience and as of yet, I have not gotten a phone call from Payless to resolve the issue of overcharging me.

Now, today on 12/28/2016, I no longer have the $165.94 charge from Avis, but rather a $505.94 charge from Payless and I still haven't heard back from them. I've submitted tickets through their corporate ticket system, I've called customer service, which just reverts back to the ticket system. I've tried calling the number for the location that I picked up and dropped off at, but nobody ever answers and I've left messages. I am beyond PISSED OFF! I've submitted a fraudulent charge to my bank for the additional $340 that I was charged. I wouldn't recommend anyone renting a car from this company and I wish I would have thought better of it myself.

I reserved a car through Hotwire for pickup from the Tampa, FL Payless rental car airport location at 1965 N. Westshore Blvd. on October 18th and returned it on October 22nd. The agent was friendly enough but when filling out the rental agreement, I had indicated that I wanted to decline all of the collision optional coverages. The Payless rental agreement is very confusing. As mentioned in another review, I received an estimated price for the rental car through Hotwire without any optional services which is what I wanted and when I rented the car, the rental agreement had every optional service included in the total estimated charge even after I had declined the optional services. These were spelled out on the agreement.

There was another optional service that was abbreviated as 3000 PDW at $13.99 a day. The agent did not explain what this stood for, and when I asked what was I accepting, he gave me an explanation that by accepting this with my initials. I was declining all optional collision services. This turned out to be completely false and I unknowingly initialed this box as accepting this service. I did not realize this until I received my charge on my credit card. The car was returned on time with a full tank of gas in the same condition as when I picked it up. Upon return to the rental lot, there was no one to receive my car for return; the agent at that time said to just leave the keys with him. I also did not receive a final bill at the time of return nor was there one that was emailed to me. When I requested a final bill, the optional 3000 PDW at $13.99/day was on this final bill which escalated my expected total charge by $55+.

I believe the agent was not forthright in carrying out my request to decline all optional services and the customer service people at Payless would not even acknowledge that the agent could have contributed to this misunderstanding and therefore would not refund these charges back to me. I believe that the behavior of this agent and the rental agreement can be used to dupe unsuspecting people including seniors like myself in thinking that you were declining all optional services. Additionally, the rental form contains optional services that are spelled out and others that contain abbreviations which the typical consumer would not know what they mean. I am unhappy about my experience with Payless, still deserve a refund from Payless and would not rent a car from them, nor would I recommend anyone else rent from them either.

The rental service at Payless TAMPA Airport is a complete scam! Their customer care process is an even bigger scam! Buyer beware! I rented online for $10 dollars a day, total bill was supposed to be $79 for the week. However, I was offered an upgrade for $5 a day, an 85% discount for the Gold Card I use for travel. It was a complete LIE! They trick you into signing for an upgrade and they know that no discount will be applied. They charged me $200 more that the original rental agreement online. I've never dealt with a business that would scam its customers the way that location is doing. From reading the other post on this site, it is apparent that I got scammed as well. This is utterly ridiculous that they are getting away with this scam!

Just on principle, I want to file a lawsuit just to bring attention to this problem. They obviously have no care in the world to take care of their customers. Their complaint process is just as fraudulent and they DO BLOW you off and they are totally insensitive. Don't even try to call the local office, they do not return any calls and the the 1-800-PAYLESS number is not going to assist you. They are completely aware of what they are doing because they will tell you, you signed for it. Just avoid this place, spread the word to your friends and family. Do not fall for the online price, they will get you with the charges and false information!

I went to pick up my rental car that I had reserved, and the place was closed. Don't waste your time or MONEY with these inconsiderate scumbags. I called and made a formal complaint with the company and they didn't care.

If I could give this company 0 stars I would. I was traveling for work and we picked up the card from a seedy hotel at 8PM at night (1st problem - safety). The car's driver seat was permanently locked in the reclined position (2nd problem - functionality). When picking up the car the employee behind the desk asked if I wanted additional liability coverage and I declined it. Then my fault in all this was I didn't read the rental agreement (4+ pages) in detail before signing. Remember I am at a seedy hotel at 8PM at night by myself in a city I am unfamiliar with. The employee had selected the increased liability insurance without my consent and when I initialed the agreement I unknowingly agreed to increased liability insurance (3rd problem - I assumed I was renting from an ethical company).

When I returned the car the rental office wasn't open and I had to be on a plane before they were going to open. There was an option to return the car to the airport to Budget or Avis (parent company). I returned the car at the airport and the person checking in the car took my rental agreement saying they needed the copy to check the car in because they were different companies and had different computer systems. I couldn't get a receipt at the time because again the systems were incompatible.

When I got back to work the next day I called Payless to get a receipt and it took 2 hours of going back and forth with Avis/Budget/Payless customer service until someone could track down the receipt and confirmation that the car was returned. I was forced to set up a "ticket" in their service desk department and it took 72 hours to actually receive the receipt (4th problem - slow responsiveness). That's when I first realized that I was charged for something I didn't purchase. I asked for the insurance to be credited since I did not request the service. The only communication I could get was behind a computer screen with a customer service rep that refused to pick up the phone and call me at my request. The entire ordeal took over a week to "resolve" (72 hours per response) at which time they refused to credit the insurance because they had a copy of a rental agreement that I initialed accepting the coverage.

In the interim they took 72 hours to tell me about a fuel charge that I didn't contest (5th problem - incompetent customer service agents wasting people's time). They have never provided me a copy of the rental agreement (they took it from me at check in). I called the customer service department many times and they told me there was no one I could talk to and that I had no other resolution other than the person sitting behind the computer screen refusing to talk to me. Ultimately I contested the charge with the credit card company and made it their problem. I am still awaiting a resolution, but in the meantime the funds were removed from my credit card until it can be resolved (kudos to my Citi card company customer service!)

I WILL NEVER RENT A CAR FROM THIS PLACE AGAIN. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. For what it's worth, I am not a review reader and rarely purchase things just based on reviews alone. I am a learn from my own experiences kind of person. If you listen to one review, let it be this one. I also don't have the time to write lengthy reviews like this (I work full time and have two kids under the age of 2 at home). I have much better things to do with my time. I am hoping I can save one person's misery by writing this. STEER CLEAR OF PAYLESS CAR RENTAL!!!

When you bring the car back full they still charge for fuel. Then have you walk across the garage, 500 feet with bags, to get a credit on a service you didn't purchase or request. It's been two months, no credit. So now, I'm asking my credit card to issue a credit. Why was I charged for services not rendered? Why is it inconvenient to request a credit for something I didn't ask for? They were able to charge me full amount but didn't credit the fuel surcharge that was not needed in the first place. This is a scam and needs to be stopped.

Rented a car from Payless that I had booked through Travelocity. It was one price on Travelocity but then the Payless representative had snuck in charges for XM satellite radio. I never asked for this service nor did they ever mention I would be charged for satellite radio. When I complained to customer service and I asked for a credit, they told me too bad they couldn't help me. I should have known better than to rent from this bootleg company when they were asking me for a utility bill. I've rented cars on numerous occasions and have never been asked for a utility bill. Avoid this company at all costs. They lost a customer for life because of their bad business practices. I've read other reviews and they apparently regularly do this.

My wife was overcharged with optional services added to the contract despite stating that she was declining all additional services. Not being overly familiar with the rental car process and heavy-handed sales techniques often used she was the victim of unscrupulous business practices by the Payless Rental Car location at the Las Vegas Airport. AFTER calling to complain and request a refund of the excessive overcharge NOTHING was done as promised! I will NEVER rent another car from Payless! I will also contact my cc company to dispute the charge and request a refund. Very Disappointed!

Upon my rental agreement, I did not agree to accept accident coverage and was charged an extra hundred dollars. While processing the terms I asked the ** lady what was that extra charge and she stated it was only for a deposit. It's a shame how this company has taken advantage of so many people! Returning back and speaking to the outraged manager was no help at all. His main concern was the signature on the agreement when it should have been about the customers concerned! We rent too many cars while traveling to be treated this way and we will never recommend this service to anyone! Horrible!

I was promised a car for $35/day. When I arrived at the rental counter in Memphis I was told there were no cars available. After "reminding" Portia that she and I spoke the day before, she "all of a sudden found a Mazda". Upon signing the rental agreement I saw that she charged me $173.76!! Portia knew I was desperate for a car as I had my 17 year old daughter with me for a college visit and we had a 1pm appointment. I was victimized and paid an astounding amount of money based on the fact that Portia knew I had no choice but to pay the inflated price for if I did not I would have been stranded at Memphis Airport. Please do a full investigation into the practices that Payless employs to essentially rob the consumer at a desperate moment. In addition, the vehicle was unsafe to drive as the brakes were grinding and pulsing the entire trip.

I booked a Fiat Panda in Lanzarote for a week. As soon as took the car I had to give it back as it was incredibly filthy and smelly. They gave me another one that it was basically the same: dirty, full of sand and smelly. Patches of dirt all over the seats. I didn't feel like bringing the second one back too, I spent some money into cleaning it instead. I then brought the car back at the end of the holiday with half tank full instead of 3/4. It was a Fiat Panda, very small, but still they asked me for 18 euro for the quarter tank missing, which I had to pay, they didn't accept my argument. I paid the car 98 euro for a week. I met people on the Lanzarote island who paid 70 euro for the week and got brand new, clean and shiny cars. Payless is not only overpriced but also unprofessional, careless and dirty. Never again!

My experience was with the Tampa office, same as some of the recent posts. On arrival, I handed my rental agreement to the young lady at the counter for $138.73. It was late and there was a long line. She asked me if I wanted any coverage and I said no that I had my own insurance and declined all coverages. She asked me if I wanted the gas option to return the car empty and I said "No, I would bring it back with a full tank" (I did and it was noted). As they always do, she said initial several spots and as I always do, I trusted her and did as she asked. She never went over anything but quickly folded up the docs, placed them in a folder, handed me the keys and sent me on my way. Usually I take more time but again, it was very busy and I have used that location many times so I trusted them. Besides, I had given her my quote and answered her questions to decline all extra charges so I had little reason to doubt that everything was in order.

The next morning, I reviewed the docs and noticed that everything was marked the opposite of what I told her - and for an extra $100. I've always been told that the charges are estimated and I can straighten them out on return so I was confident that would happen. But no one would help me on my return and after multiple correspondences with the company, they completely blew me off. I tried to get a live person to discuss the events and go over the charges in detail but the agents on the phone offered no assistance except go online and make a report. The result of that was only pay up. I'm convinced that the agent deliberately prepared the docs and after reading other blogs and the way the company treated me, it's likely not only a Tampa issue but a company-wide scamming policy.

Updated on 01/03/2017: Payless Car Rental was cheating me and overbilled more than $100. I did protest on my credit card and await results. Meanwhile, I've received a bill from Payless for an additional $73.22 with no explanation of charges. They provided two phone numbers that I could contact for an explanation. I called the first and the agent said he had no way to help me. He gave me a third phone number which I called three times throughout the day and there was no answer. So I called the second number several times and again no one answered. This has to be the biggest bunch of gutter rats ever. I made my notes and will ignore the bill.

Rented car through Travelocity for two days, got prepaid gas and 9.00 day insurance for a total of app 126.00 dollars. The car they gave us was beat up, so we seen a mid size SUV that only had 1 scratch on it. I inquired about it and the person at the counter, his name was Andrew told us it would be 25.00 a day day extra for it. He done new papers which I assumed would be 50 dollars more than the original price of 126.00 dollars, it wasn't we turned car in two days later and got a bill for 386.00 dollars. This is Payless Car Rental at JFK Airport in NYC, it's a shame they take advantage of tourists in NYC.

Rented a car at Payless in Tampa by the airport. Purchased the rental online and had no issues until we got the final bill that was $163.50 over what I rented online. They sneak in "Optional Services" which we did not ask for or want. We did not even get any "Optional Services", just a basic car that was not the intermediate size we asked for and it was dirty. But it served our purpose and we decided to just take the car. But now they are trying to get another $163.50 off us for something we did not ask for nor received. They told us corporate office would get us a refund within 72 hours, but we are claiming a dispute with our credit card company and not relying on this scam company! STAY AWAY FROM PAYLESS!!

Be careful when renting from this company. They will offer you standard insurance and end up with a hefty charge on your card which was almost twice your rental price. When we complained to the company over the phone, we were curtly informed it was our responsibility to read the fine print. We will never rent from this company again.

Tampa Payless car rental at 1965 N West Shore Blvd, Tampa, Fl are adding optional charges to people's reservation when they sign their car rental agreements in the office on arrival. They ask if you want this or that and when you say no they add the options anyhow. You figure all is fine and once you see the price has increased they tell you it's just the deposit and it'll come off when the car is returned. I was charged for road service and XM radio service without even knowing it.

When you trust this outfit you are going to get scammed. It's a rip-off and the guy who did it to us is under the name **, which is at the bottom of your rental agreement. They have cameras in the office but the company will not review them and for good reason, because this place is crooked and deceitful. Check the reviews on this place on google because there is person after person complaining about unauthorized charges. I reported them to the BBB in Tampa and others need to do whatever it takes to stop this fraud. File a dispute with your CC company to put pressure on them to stop the practice. Call their office also, don't give up. I have rented dozens of cars in the past and never had to deal with outright fraud like what is going on there.

I rented a 2 year old mini van with over 35000 miles. The van had nicks and scratches on all sides and missing molding in the rear and the carpet was coming up in the rear. When I returned the van I was informed there was a new scratch and I would be responsible for repairs. I noted on an affidavit that I did not hit anything or have any knowledge of this scratch. One month later I was notified they were charging my credit card $275.00. I am a regular user of rental cars mostly other agencies. I will never use Payless anywhere.

I can't say enough bad things about this company. I read dozens of negative reviews online, and they all sounded too familiar. Rude and incompetent desk staff. Filthy cars (ours had stains all over the seat and smelled like cigarettes and nasty air freshener). What's even worse is that they blatantly lie about the pricing. I saw a number of reviews that noted the same thing. When I returned from my trip, I got a charge on my bank that was significantly higher than what the paperwork showed. I called the desk and they said it was "because I returned it late". Their claim was ridiculous; they said I returned the car at 9 p.m. but I was already back home in Colorado by then! I had returned the car at 3 p.m. and had a check-in from Southwest to prove it. They also charged my bank twice what the daily rate was on my paperwork; again, paperwork to prove it.

Eventually I got it fixed, but only after threatening to file fraud charges through my bank. With the help of my bank, I had to escalate it to the "executive offices". What's even worse, they were not in the least apologetic. Terence in "executive services" was incompetent at best, tragically rude at worst. I do not know how he still has a job. Stay away from this company. They're liars, thieves and crooks, and it's not worth the $5 a day you might think you're saving.

Rented car for recent Florida stay. Prepaid to utilize lower charge. Paid for standard size vehicle. Arrived and was given keys to one car, which I inspected prior to leaving. Made notation of dents and scratches on outside. However, when we got in, the entire console enclosure on the passenger side fell off. I had not even started the car. Returned to office. Requested another vehicle, and was given one. Not realizing that it was a compact, we drove away. After a few days and my husband hitting his head on the door getting in and out, I called various companies to ascertain if they listed that model as a standard size.

No, not even an intermediate size, but a compact. Not what I agreed to when making the reservation. Ok. Went back with a full tank to exchange car. Asked about compensation for my days of using the cheaper car. Nothing. But received a Toyota Camry for the rest of my Florida stay. When I returned home I found charges on my credit card for $88.89, then $17.00, then $18.25. These charges were not authorized. Furthermore, I returned the car with a full tank and am being charged $57.00 for gas. I am advising EVERYONE not to do business with them.

Do not rent from Payless Car Rental, especially in Charlotte N.C. Charged for options I did not authorize. I have been renting cars for decades. Never opted for optional products/services in the past either. When I asked the employees at the rental site they told me these were airport charges which turn out to be a flat out lie. Attempted to contact company via phone. Was told I would be transferred to the supervisor "Peter". Let the phone ring 40-50 times each time with no one answering. That is not customer service.

Reserved car online for $236.61 through Hotwire. Told person I checked out with I didn't want anything else but bare bones for the contract. When I turned in car on November 19th, they charged $314.61. I disputed that and was told they would review it within 72 hours and get back to me. Today is the 29th. I've contacted the phone number several times about this with no response. Stay away from using them.

Compare Rental Cars