Payless Car Rental

Compare Rental Cars

Research top Rental Cars recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Please do not use Payless Car Rental. I regret renting from them. I never had any problems with other car rental companies. My statement just echoes the many other complaints posted on this website. The company is deceptive to the point of fraud; they hide additional fees and charges as being part of the deposit. I posted a warning on my Facebook page so my friends don't make the same mistake.

We arrived earlier than expected and were told, "We're out of cars, and it will be an additional $50 to pick up your car (an hour early)." We were presented with all kinds of options for other cars, but ONLY if we paid for additional car insurance at extremely high prices. We cancelled our reservation and walked out... and rented a better car at Thrifty for the same money we were quoted on Car Rentals dot com.

Do not give your business to this company!! I reserved a full size vehicle with plenty of advance notice. When I arrived at the airport rental lot, they did not have the correct sized vehicle. They tried to give me a smaller vehicle than what I requested for the same price. After I refused to accept that deal they finally gave me one closer to what I originally requested.

Fast forward a couple weeks. I contacted them since I hadn't received a final receipt. They said it would take up to 72 hours to email me the receipt! After the 72 hours went by with no email I contacted them again. They took down my info again and apparently wrote down the wrong email address. I called a third time and after arguing with the rep, they realized the mistake and said a receipt would be emailed within a few hours. All I received so far is an internal ticket notification that my request was received. I spoke with a manager today, and they told me there is nothing they can do and no one they can call to speed up the process. Needless to say, I told him how awful their service was and they will not get my business any longer. After 8 days, I still don't have a receipt!

We hired a Payless car via Ryanair, paid on internet, drove for a week, returned no problems, even filled in satisfaction questionnaire. The day after we were charged 44€ after having been assured that there were no extras. All attempts to get the money back have been stopped "hoping you are satisfied with the result of enquiries". We are very disappointed with Payless/Budget/Avis. Seems that thieving is the name of the game on this side of the Atlantic as well so watch out!

Picked up rental car and the seats were so dirty we had to put towels on the seats. We asked to get another car but was told they did not have any other cars. Paid $309.00 for upgraded car and only got a Chevy Cruze. The passenger seat adjustment handle was broken off so that could not be adjusted. Talked to the manager who was from Avis and he said Payless has older cars. This is no excuse to have a dirty car. They act concerned but judging from their ratings they don't care. Filed a complaint while we still had the car. Have called five days in row and they still have not resolved the issue. They do update the fact that they called.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

From rotten cars, overcharges, phone numbers that never answer, customer service in Mexico with poor English skills. Be real careful signing anything with these crooks and you will be sorry once they have your credit card access. Cars are filthy, cheap real cheap. Office hours are terrible you will prob have to leave the car with another company. Employees are just useless, they hate their jobs and treat you like such. So my advice to you when renting a car use the big guys, pay the extra bucks for peace of mind. Stay away from Payless Car Rental.

Never rent from Payless Car Rental. Over a month after turning back our rental car in Ontario CA, we were contacted by phone to cover "damage" to the car. There was no damage caused by us. They indicated there was damage to the "bottom" of the car. They are sending me photos and information regarding their claim, but absolutely no damage was caused by us. Beware of these guys! They're crooks and I will try and have my insurance company handle it for me.

I rented a car in Fort Myers Airport rental. They specifically stated that the rental could be picked up at the "airport location". There is no airport pickup. You have to wait for a shuttle and then take a 10 minute ride to get to the pickup. They shouldn't advertise airport pickup if the vehicle is not at the airport. Also the agent told me if I used the fast lane transponder I would be charged a convenience fee of 2-3 dollars. I used it for a $6 toll to Sanibel Island. When I returned home my credit card was charged $20.50.... for a $6 toll. Stay away from this company.

I've rented cars twice from Payless Rentals, both times has been a disaster, I was over charged and the people were very rude the first time. I thought maybe things would be different a second time around. It only got worse, I was overcharged again. The online quote was 64.00 and the insurance was 9.00 a day when I went to pick up the car, I asked how much! The rude man told me he couldn't tell me the price till we finished everything, then stated it might come up to about 80 dollars, I told him what it was online and he stated that online doesn't give you all the charges, then when he total me out it was 100.00 dollars and not 80.00, and the insurance would be 26.99 a day, instead of 9.00 like it stated online.Then he told me I had to have roadside assistance which was 6.99 a day. So I checked out, to only get outside in the car and notice someone had just dropped the car off.

The car was filthy stains on the door, stains on the seats, sticky stuff around the cup holder area, looked like someone had a dog in the back seat, food particles (crumbs) inside the cup holders and on the floor. To top it off I opened the arm conceal and there was old receipts that the previous driver bald up and through in there. I went back in and told the man at the desk about how nasty the car was and I told him I was on a time frame and asked could I be put in a different vehicle. He told me there wasn't any other cars to put me in, but then stated if I payed ten dollars more he would upgrade me to the next size car. I felt like with all that I been through including the poor customer service, that he should've just upgraded me at no cost because the problems I had, was not on me.

Other rental car company's will do that if you're dissatisfied. The outside of the car had major damage to it and I told him to make sure they know that those damages were there because it was a lot and not little scrapes. He rudely took the keys from me and said he would clean the car out real quick! He came back in two minutes, he had threw water on the outside of the car and didn't even dry it off. I turned on the windshield wipers to clear the windows from water. The inside was my main complaint about the cleaniness, which he never cleaned nor did he dispose of the trash in it. Me being in a rush I asked him for corporates number and he gave me a customer service number, I left and had to pay someone to clean out the car because I couldn't ride like that.

I've contacted customer service twice, by phone and online. No one has called me back from when I called on the phone. I received an email the same day after I emailed only for customer service to say, "They're sorry for the inconvenience but there's nothing they can do, and they hope to see me again in the future." I'm very bothered by all this and the fact that I feel like I've got rob, is bothersome!!! I recommend that NO ONE rent from this company... I will keep fighting till something be done, it's not fair they get to rob, steal, lie, and mistreat innocent people.

I rented a car for our trip to Phoenix, AZ via Hotwire. The total to be charged was $261. When we got to the rental desk, my companion decided to pay for the car, since he would be driving. He gave the clerk his credit card and we proceeded to get the car and drive to our destination. When we returned the car, they charged us $348, and when we protested, we were told that they had to charge us for a second driver at $19/day... we asked to talk to a supervisor, who said he was noting the protest and he would review the tape of our encounter to assure that we were clearly told that we were being charged for a second driver. We were not, since, if we had, we would not have agreed to that.

My companion was the only driver for the entire time... and it isn't clear why they would charge for a second driver anyway, since only one person can drive the car at a time. Clearly, this is a scam to up their profits. I would advise anyone thinking of renting a car from them to be very careful. I called Hotwire and they were able to convince Payless to rescind the charges, so it was eventually resolved to our satisfaction.

Like the others, I was charged the double. Got a $10/day upgrade and insurance I never accepted. With two little kids to attend to, I was naive enough to initial everything without checking. I've trusted the verbal agreement other times and never had a problem. Never trust Payless. Even if you check everything, like others here did, you'll get scammed anyway...

I just returned a rental car to Payless Rental Cars in Sarasota, Florida. I was charged nearly $100 for insurance, even though I declined coverage when I got the car. When I picked up the vehicle, they gave me a car that was damaged, then told me they had no other cars. I finally managed, after almost an hour, to get another car, but it was also damaged. Biggest rip off EVER!

My experience echoes that of other reviewers. Estimate for my car rental was $145; when I picked the car up, I was told it would be $264. I complained at the desk and was told that taxes vary around the country (ridiculous excuse - all those things can be programmed into computer estimates). I was stuck and needed the car, so I went ahead with the rental. I've called four times since, have submitted online tickets. They keep answering and closing the tickets by sending me a copy of my receipt. I keep writing back that they have not addressed my questions. (Even the follow-up survey email they sent me didn't work: when you click the link to get to the survey, you're directed to a page saying, "Thank you for submitting your survey.") To top it off, I still haven't received the Southwest Rapid Rewards points for the rentals. (At the other Payless desk rental experience, I was told that the higher fee was due to a charge for receiving airline points.)

I reserved a car for seven days but only used it for five days... They still charged me for seven days... and then probably re-rented the same car making double. Not only is this illegal but the worst that can happen when you're a frequent flyer. I will never rent from this company again and I will continue to seek information from a Government source to see what can be done about these crooks.

I am writing this because after reading a ton of these complaints, I also decided to rent from Payless and got ripped-off for $47 additional. This happened recently on 4/14/17. Before you sign your initials on what you decline, you will notice that the first column "YOUR ESTIMATED VEHICLE CHARGES" also has a space for initials. LOOK AT THE TOTAL and see if it jives with your reservation total. It is here they slip in OPTIONAL SERVICES TOTAL TAXABLE. That will raise up your balance from what you thought to what they say. Don't initial the FIRST COLUMN ON THE LEFT and ask them why the total is higher than your reservation says. They often slide it right by you which you initial because you are too busy making sure you initial all the insurance's declination. Secondly, go around your car and take a photo of any place that is marked or scratched. This will go a long way in preventing extra charges.

In all the years of renting cars, Payless is the absolute sneakiest rental agency out there. The Attorney General of Nevada will at least hear my complaint because I am submitting one. Their business practices are deceptive and take advantage of people in lines who are tired, frustrated and eager to pick up their car. READ THE TOTAL YOU ARE INITIALING and make sure if they are out of their car they give you whatever they have at no additional charge. You reserved it, you should not pay a dime more unless you upgrade yourself and know you will be paying more. You should not ever pay more than your reservation indicates even if they are out of your car class. I learned the hard way that they throw in extra fees and push you through the process.

Trust no one! I prepaid for a car rental from the Phoenix airport a few days earlier, when I get there there's nobody in line for Payless car rental and a long line for the others (my first red flag). I give the rep my prepaid statement and he asks for my credit card for any incidentals for after I dropped the rental back off (red flag). He goes through the whole spiel about upgrades and all that, ok, but I refused and denied everything. The original prepaid statement were charges for $150 and change, and when the statement came back to me it was for $142 and change. Great, I thought I saved a few bucks. NOT, if I didn't have to run for my meeting I should've stayed at the counter to read everything over like a lawyer. Turns out it was $142 charge over the $150, Dennis had charged me for 4 days of loss damage waiver I declined from the beginning. Never renting from them again.

This has got to be one of the worst rental car centers I have ever went to and experience. SMH. They have no customer service, most of them lie and just clearly give you the runaround when looking for your stuff. However from a clear misunderstanding we had they towed the car, told us they had no clue where the car was, only for us to find out the truth about them lying when we got to the car. They employees went thru the car stealing money, driver licenses, bank card, SSI card, jewelry, etc. However we made a police report and will be going thru with this. They are very terrible and I will never rent from them again and highly recommended no one else even think about renting from this place. They need to close this center or even get rid of the team they have.

Rented a compact car from Payless at SeaTac. My confirmation email stated that the price for 3 days would be $61.93. At the counter, I refused all offers for upgrades, additional insurance, pre-filled tank of gas etc... I told them I just wanted what I paid for and nothing else. Got into the car and it reeked of cigarette smoke. Exchanged car. Was given a VW Passat. No problems with the car - it drove nice. Returned car on time and later found out they charged me an additional $17.97 for an optional service called RSP. Looked that up and found out it stands for Road Side Protection service which I did not ask for and was not offered this service at the desk.

After wasting a lot of time unsuccessfully trying to contact someone at Payless and get it resolved, I gave up and disputed the charge with my credit card company who credited me the $17.97. Do not do business with Payless as they are unscrupulous and incompetent and they should be heavily sanctioned and fined for their unethical and dishonest business practices.

Beware if you rent cars from Payless Car Rental through sites like Hotwire. The rate they post is not even close to what they charge for a rental. My bill was 66% higher than I expected. You get nailed with that later at the rental desk when picking up the car. One could say no and possibly not have a car for their vacation if no other vehicles are available.

Here is what happened. I made a reservation for a car through Hotwire for our vacation in Scottsdale AZ. The estimated costs on Hotwire were $240.92. I arrived at the airport and at the rental desk. I saw the rate at the top of the page that was close to the amount of my reservation so I did not think anything of it. Prices are not always exact. The man behind the desk said he could put us in a vehicle that was just a bit a larger for $15. I asked if that was $15 in total and he answered yes and clarified with him a second time and he answered yes. What he should have said was $15 a day. Not once did he use those words. We were ready to enjoy our vacation. They hand you a contract, which typically details all the extras they offer you so you can accept them or decline them. So I initialed as I always do. I rent cars very often.

Looking at this later they added $152.94 in fees, surcharges, and taxes and now I am being charged $399.39 for my $240 rental. Well my experience with Payless gets worse from here. I have called customer service 6 times to discuss the billing issue and they responded by sending me a copy of my receipt twice. I was told to wait for a response from the customer service team twice. The last time I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold. He said it should be about 5 minutes. 10 minutes in the music on hold stopped and I listened to the phone just ring for 5 minutes. So I hung up and called again, quite angry at this point, and was told that there was nothing the CSR could do about it and that he sent it to someone else who would respond. Their response has been consistent, the $152.94 in extra fees and taxes were on the paperwork so “Sorry we can’t help you.”

I am posting this so that other that read this will not get screwed as I have by Payless Car Rental. Lesson: call them directly after you make a reservation through a travel site to go over all the fees and taxes they will add to your bill. You then can make an informed decision of whether to keep the reservation or to cancel with them and find a rental car company that actually provides their actual rates. By the way, all the time you saved by booking through Hotwire you will have lost by making that phone call.

I reserved a car online a month ahead of my trip. The cost was supposed to be $19.56 for 3 days. I returned the car and to my surprise the cost was $258.90, that is double the cost quoted online. The extra was taken directly out of my Credit Card. If that isn't bad enough, the attitudes of the employees was totally and completely classless. The girl at the garage counter didn't have the class to acknowledge a simple hello. After returning the car the guy in the garage could barely muster up the energy to point out which direction the return shuttle bus was located. Double the price and classless, rude, crude service, save your money go to a reputable company and maybe pay more but you will get what you were promised and get it with some respect from the employees. Just a side note, all the employees were Hispanic for whatever that is worth. I have a return trip planned for Las Vegas this summer, Payless will NOT get my business.

I am so disappointed and frustrated by the service I received from Payless Car Rental out of Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix, Arizona. They are a bunch of crooks and thieves. I used Orbitz Travel to book my car rental and was told the charge would be $325.85. When picking up the rental in Phoenix, Louie handled the transaction. I did not initial or sign for any additional services as I had my own car insurance. On my next credit card statement, I was charged a total of $762.95. I never signed or initialed a receipt to authorize these charges, and Terrence and the other customer service representatives cannot produce an original for me either. I have been getting the run around for the last several months as they claim to be looking for the original signed receipt at an alternate location and will provide that for me when they find it. Do not give your business to them!

I hate to even give this a 1 star. After reading reviews of this company, all the stories are the same. A $215 dollar rental turns into $490 total. They add charges without your approval, they will not answer phones calls, will not return e-mails. The charges on my credit card were changed 4 times without my approval. I have never dealt with so many crooked people in 1 company. Please don't rent from PAYLESS CARS, it will be your worst nightmare.

Worse experience ever from the day I pick up the car to the day I dropped it off. I pick up my car in Boston Logan airport. Jessica is the person who provide me the most poorest customer service ever. She was RUDE and a LIAR. She forced me to get gas service and gave me attitude for no reason. She needs to get fired for lying and rudeness.

Reserved a standard to mid size vehicle in advance. I declined Insurance so they said I had to call my Insurance company to verify. No problem but this a hold up while in line. Then I just frustrated told them "just charge me for Insurance. This is taking too long to get through my company." She gave me keys. I walked out to the car. It was a compact SUV, that not what I wanted or paid for.

Went back inside. She said "we have nothing else similar to standard size vehicle" so I was just stuck with it. I said "no. I would like to cancel." She said "fine. No charges will be on your credit card." They lied. It was a 200 fee processed on my card and they would not reverse it. Ended up calling customer service to file a complaint. They said Reservations was never canceled. That's bull crap. The money is still on hold. Poorest rental car service ever. They offered no other options as other rental car companies have done in the past when they didn't have a car that I reserved. Customers mean nothing to this company. They are at the bottom service. Never would use this company at all for business or pleasure. Never, never, never ever.

While on a business trip to Sacramento in 2016, I rented a car on 11/29/16 returning it on 12/2/16. As a Private Investigator, I always take photos of my vehicle when picking it up and again when returning. I will usually keep photos for two months to make sure no claims are made after dropoff. Today, April 1, 2017 I received a notice that the vehicle was damaged and they are requesting payment of $731.62. So, I guess that my question is why did I get a clean bill when dropping it off after Tony inspected it. It interesting that my photos showed a clean car, void of any damages.

So after receiving this bogus bill, I did what any PI would do, check on previous reports and not surprised that I'm not the first person to be put into this scam. I think Payless should do a bit of PI work themselves and check the camera system in their garage. Why do they do a post-inspection of a vehicle when returned, then sign the clean bill of return and give me the receipt? I think my photos of a pristine returned vehicle would prove otherwise.

I rented a car online through Payless for pick up at the Newark Airport for my son. The quoted rate was $189.00 for the week. When my son arrived he was told that they had no more cars available at the same rate because his plane was a half hour late. But for just 15.00 more dollars for the week he could have the next size car. He agreed since they didn't have what we reserved. (I must say most car companies including Avis which is the parent company honor the price they quoted you and give you an upgrade at their expense.) Being a division of Avis was the only reason I even rented with them. The agent also said that for just $5 dollars a day he could have protection for door dings, scratches etc. No other charges. No hidden fees. Etc. Exhausted from traveling he agreed to the additional $5 thinking parking in the city anything could happen, so better to be safe than sorry. That should have brought our total to around $239.00 plus taxes.

Imagine my shock when I see that the total rental was $683.01 on a barely legible copy provided at rental. They also told him when returned the car two days early that they couldn't find the rental in the system. He went inside and the clerk told him he was all set and they would email a receipt. So far nothing, but a customer satisfaction survey. What a joke. Talk about nerve to ask if we were satisfied. In addition to the lies they told about the rate, the agent told my son, just initial here for the $5 a day fee. But had checked all the liability damage boxes. BUYER BEWARE!!! In addition, and I have rented cars for over forty years from numerous rental car companies, Avis included and the rate they quote you on your reservation is to include taxes etc. Imagine my shock to see Surcharges, airport fees (daily) city surcharge of $31 plus, security fee??? What is that? $35. Concession recovery fee $57. etc. etc.

They do not answer their phone. I have tried numerous times to contact them to get some satisfaction but to no avail. I will keep trying. Though after reading these other review I do not hold out much hope. In addition we returned the car two days early, and since they billed at a daily rate not a weekly, I should be entitled to two days credit for all these extraneous and miscellaneous charges. Please do yourself a favor, like the others say. Do not rent from PAYLESS. They should change their name to PAYMORE, where we steal your money with a smile. My rental agreement confirmation number was ** for a compact car.

I rented a car this month from the Payless counter at Sarasota Bradenton airport. Although my personal auto insurance covers all the frivolous fees and unlikely problems typically presented by rental car agencies, the man at the counter pressured me into paying extra. He said they don't deal with insurance companies and any damages or charges (in any amount) will be taken directly from my credit card. It would be up to me to get reimbursed. When I returned the car with a full tank, he asked where I filled it up. When I wasn't sure exactly where, he said they may charge me if it was more than five miles from the location. They did charge me for gas. I would walk before using Payless again.

We have rented dozens of vehicles over the years and never encountered a problem until we decided to book with Payless. We booked our rental online two weeks prior to our vacation and paid in full by credit card. Upon our arrival at Orlando Airport, the Payless rep tried to insist that we had to upgrade at our expense because they didn't have our vehicle available. We declined his ridiculous offer which obviously annoyed him. Then he tried to sell us on all the extra insurances and we declined them which annoyed him even more. He then proceeded to give us bogus directions to the location of this vehicle which had us wandering the airport for 30 minutes until some airport employee gave us the correct info. The vehicle had NY plates on it which was strange as all other vehicles were registered in Florida. We drove the vehicle for 10 days in the local area and probably put about 500 miles on it.

We returned the vehicle to Payless at the allotted time and were given a receipt. While waiting for our flight, I decided to check the receipt and noticed that it indicated that we had driven about 4800 miles and it had extra charges of $107.00 which were billed to our card. I immediately called the Payless customer service hotline to explain these errors. The rep was rude, inconsiderate, accused us of lying, and refused to remove any of the extra charges. We have rented dozens of vehicles (with other companies) over the years and have never had a bad experience. Stay away from Payless Rentals! THEY ARE DISHONEST AND YOU WILL END UP PAYING MORE FOR YOUR RENTAL THAN YOU WOULD ALMOST ANYWHERE ELSE!

I rented a Payless car (first time) in Orlando for what appeared to be a competitive price. I declined the Payless insurance and the counter agent asked me if there would be additional drivers and I said "yes, my wife." He never mentioned a $65 charge for the additional driver. He asked me to initial the rental form to decline the insurance which I did. We returned the car 2 days early and was handed an invoice for $401 (the original quote was $257.60) including the $65 charge for an additional driver and a $35 charge for roadside assistance coverage, which we did not request, and no credit for returning the car early.

WORST experience out of ten times I have rented cars. Rented a Chrysler 200 (or similar) six days before arrival (Atlanta Hartsfield Airport) for $196.00 total. The day before our flight I checked and the rate was $173.00. I cancelled the original and reserved at the new rate, no problem. When we arrived, I stood in line for thirty minutes only to be told they didn't have a standard size car for me, they hoped to have one in 30 - 45 minutes, they would call me. I was offered a Ford Focus for less money (no offer to upgrade for the same price).

I said I didn't want a four seater tin can. I had RESERVED a standard size car (5 passenger)! After waiting a half hour to 45 minutes (no call). I rented a Camry, ready to go from Advantage. However, it cost us $50.00 more. I had the courtesy to go back to the Payless counter and cancel my reservation with them, however we had lost about an hour and a half because of their mistake. When I checked a few days later (out of curiosity), to rent a car on March 1st the website said 'There are NO CARS AVAILABLE at the airport location on that day'. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!! What good is a great price if you don't have a car to give out when the customer arrives? Needless to say, if Payless were the only car rental company available, at ANY location, I would hitchhike or take a cab before dealing with them. First and LAST time I'll call Payless!

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

As an Avis subsidiary, Payless Car Rental operates more than 120 retail locations under a combined corporate and franchise model.

• One-way rentals: Travelers can expand their reach and make work travel more convenient by picking up a vehicle at one location and dropping it off at another. Renter also have a choice of 15 different vehicles including economy cars, minivans, SUVs and 12 passenger vans.
  • Loyalty program: The Perks Club provides a streamlined reservation and check-in process.
  • Last-minute pricing: When booking ahead, renters usually get the lowest pricing, but Payless Car Rental also accommodates last-minute bookings with specials based on the pickup location.
  • Discounts: Partner organizations get discounts, like the five percent discount offered to all AARP members. Save 10 percent on monthly rentals or when you book more than 30 days in advance. Sign up for the newsletter for additional discounts.
  • Early-pay discounts: When renters book at least one day in advance and pay at the time of booking, they can save up to 20 percent. Cancellation fees apply to this type of booking.
  • Best for Those who plan ahead, those traveling only one way, business travelers, vacationers, temporary workers, those with cars in repair and those who want a wide selection of vehicles and temporary workers.

Compare Rental Cars