2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

3.9/5 (1271 ratings)

About Payless Car Rental

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

First, I never write reviews but feel people need to consider renting from this company. I had a few bad experiences. The check engine light came on after about 15 minutes of driving, of course meaning I had to go back to the airport. Also, the driver's side mirror was faulty. I called about 15 times but could reach a representative. Fast forward, I get my bill and find out I’ve been charged for additional insurance. The guy helping me at the counter read through what I was signing since I didn’t have the best glasses on and couldn’t see well. So much for honesty. I’ll never rent from them again no matter how much I’ll spend with another company.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I had prepaid a car to pick up in Nashville. When we went to pick the car up they said Expedia never paid them. I was so mad my husband put another car on his charge card. We never picked up a car that I paid for on my charge card. I went with my receipt in hand from Expedia that I paid them and my charge card bill. Showing I was charged. Payless refused to honor it. They just said Expedia never paid them. Since then it's been 2 months and nothing refunded or done. Expedia said they could never get ahold of Payless to verify we never got the car we were charged for so they would not refund our money. So I tried for many days to get ahold of Payless. All numbers and emails say no longer in service. Or does not exist. DO NOT USE PAYLESS RENTAL CARS. I even question Expedia at this point. Really hard time getting to talk to someone with their company as well.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Payless Car Rental does everything in their power to manipulate you into purchasing extra things you don’t need. Don’t agree to anything they are offering! They are high class scammers! It’s a business you can’t trust. Look else where!

Original review: July 11, 2021

When I tried to pick up the car I'd reserved at Payless at the San Diego airport, the price was over double the price I'd been quoted when I reserved it. The guy said it was for insurance. I had to insist, then threaten to cancel before he reduced the charges--though not to what I'd been quoted.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I booked a mid-size car in San Diego a week before my trip. When arrived the mid-size wasn’t available. I was willing to take a smaller car for the same rate. There were no smaller cars either. They offered me an upgrade to a full-size car for 29.95/day. That was the only option. I should not need to pay $398 extra because they didn’t have cars they agreed to provide.

Original review: June 28, 2021

I picked up the car in LV, NV. I arrived a day early and asked how much to add a day. They told me $200 even though 4 days was only costing me $280. I had to pay for Uber to/from rental car pickup and come back the next day; strike one. When I picked up my vehicle I noticed the tires were bald. I mentioned this and they told me it was the only car they had for me. I reluctantly took the vehicle. The vehicle literally had illegal tires; below the wear bar. I drove I-15 from LV to St George, UT. All freeway driving. The vehicle was unable to go over 70mph without the AC beginning to blow hot air. I called a number in my paperwork and was told there was nothing they can do and call roadside if the vehicle breaks down.

I got to my destination and borrowed a friend's car for the remainder of the trip. I was not able to use the car. I returned the car unharmed and three months later received notice I was being charged for "tire damage" to the tune of $207.76. When I called them to ask what tire damage and explained to them I had expressed concern about the tires they told me it is my responsibility to prove there wasn't tire damage otherwise I would be charged. What!? Never again will I rent from this company and pray you won't either!

Original review: June 27, 2021

For a recent trip to San Diego I rented a car through Payless Cars using Expedia. Total cost was $381 for four days. When I went to pick up the car the agent told me it was only a 2-door and too small for three people (not true, Versas are 4 doors), and he would give us an upgrade for $7/day. I said sure, fine. He asked if I wanted extra insurance and I said no thanks. My reading glasses were in my luggage, but I signed the form, trusting him, and we went on our way. Once I could read what I had signed, I saw he had charged us $75/day extra for the car grade and added two types of insurance, making my total $885 instead of $381. Payless refuses to reimburse me the difference. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY EVER!

Original review: June 10, 2021

I will never rent a car from Payless Car Rental again. I have never seen worse. The driver picking up at the PHL airport was very nice and helped with the bags but was lead footed on the gas and the brakes. Since all the seats were side-sitting it was a lot of jerking around. But the real reason I'm here is to address the car. It was DIRTY! It had filthy upholstery. There was trash leftover from the previous renter. And it was damaged! The rear fender had a tear in the plastic bumper. And the charged an extra $200 over the $395 claiming it was a refundable deposit. It makes sense that it's a low cost subsidiary of Avis which in itself is not an exemplary company.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I rented a car which broke down during my vacation. I wasted a whole day waiting for a tow truck, then only got a jump, which didn't work. So I call for another tow truck to take the car back to the airport, luckily only 20 minutes away. THEY CHARGED ME $218.OO for the jump that didn't even work!! HOW is this my responsibility??!! I'm disgusted, and fighting the charge but also waiting for them to charge me for the tow!!!

Resolution response: May 15, 2021

I have been contacted via Facebook and a new reservation was created by customer service with understanding my original price will be honored at close-out.

Original review: May 13, 2021

A confirmation number was received by email for my reservation. The system did not recognize confirmation number when I attempted to change details a week later. Same thing when calling customer service. How can a car rental send a confirmation number if a computer glitch occurred in a previous step that prevents the confirmation number from being recorded in the system? When I called they would not create a new reservation at the same price.

Payless Car Rental Company Information