2. Travel
  3. Rental Cars

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

Payless Car Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless Car Rental?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I would give them 0 stars if I could post that way but since I must give them a star rating it is 1. Wish I would have done my research a little better about this company before I rented with them as I would have been able to avoid the headache that has come from this experience. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra money for a car with a better rental company.

There were unauthorized charges made to my credit card account. They made this charge, AFTER I had already paid in full for the car and dropped the car off. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the airport to find out what the charges were for and had to make MULTIPLE calls to the "customer service" line. Once I finally got a copy of the invoice to see what the charges were, I found it was for PDW which I had declined along with all other insurance when I picked up the rental. I was told that I could start a dispute and I would have an answer within 42-78 (2-3 days) hours and should see the refund in that time to my account.

It has been 5 days and I haven't heard from anyone so to add to the inconvenience of this entire ordeal I had to call and cancel my credit card and request a new one and start a dispute with them. This entire ordeal has been an ABSOLUTE nightmare and I wouldn't wish this upon even my worst enemy. I will NEVER recommend or use Payless Car Rental ever again.

I filled out the customer satisfaction survey that they sent me and the response at the end of the survey is completely laughable because based on all of the reviews that I have read, dating back up to 4 years ago, they don't do anything to make improvements to the company. Here is the response at the end of the survey: "Thank you, your survey has been submitted. We appreciate your participation and feedback. We regularly make improvements to our service as a result of the valuable feedback we receive from our customers. We look forward to serving you in the future."

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I reserved a full size car at the Philadelphia airport and this is the worst car rental experience I have ever encountered. I waited a full hour on the shuttle in freezing weather. I called and was rudely talked to and (Susan) hung up before I finished my question of how soon can I expect the shuttle That was the first red flag. Get to the counter and Susan continues her unprofessional rude attitude. She informed me they had no full size cars and offered me a van! I asked the purpose of a reservation and she responded “what kinda car you want!!!!” After the exchange I ask to be taken back to the terminal so I can find a car. I called the next day and asked to speak with the manager Sierra answered and ask why and refused to let me speak or leave a message she hang up!! I check Better Business to find they rated this company an F!! I can see why. This is a horrible horrible place for car rentals!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I rented a car over Christmas break and they overcharged by over the twice the amount I was quoted saying the car was returned on Jan 3rd with half a tank and at 8pm. I returned the car on Dec 29th at 9am with a full tank of gas. I have called and emailed numerous times without any response. Do not rent from this company.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Let me start by saying my original trip was a round trip flight LGA-DEN for a week. About 2 weeks or so prior to the date of the trip we had an event come up in Dallas so we decided to go there at the end of the trip. Flights were at this point very expensive. Renting a car was a no brainer based on price and the fact that we had bags to check.

We had no flight into Denver so we get to the airport terminal and proceed to the rental car bus pick up section where we were instructed via email to “Call for pick up from the direct line phone at the rental counter in the terminal, then proceed to island 4 for shuttle pick up.” Me along with several other people could not find such a phone anywhere (inside or outside)! The bus arrives by some miracle and we board with the driver less than thrilled with his job not saying a single word to anyone while carelessly tossing the bags onto the bus.

We get to the building without issue and proceed to the counter. I’m greeted by a female in a wrinkly untucked buttondown shirt. She asks me very directly “where are you going?”. I tell her Dallas and she says “why don’t you just fly there? You flew here!”. Does she not want my business? Why do I have to explain my reasoning for how I travel? Continuing throughout the conversation she was very short and quick like she would do anything to speed up the process. I was going to ask for 2 extra days with the vehicle to use in Dallas but I knew after just speaking to this employee for a few minutes I do not want to deal with this company any more than I have to. She tosses me the keys and says “Aisle 56. You’re all set”. No walk around the vehicle with me for damage or to ensure fuel level.

I get to my vehicle and do a walk around myself notating any damages with my camera. I get in the car and immediately notice it has not been cleaned at all on the inside. It had some sort of sauce on the driver door, by the radio, and on the passenger door. A previous rental agreement with someone’s personal information from Avis in the center console. A vape pen in the driver's door.

I arrive in a Dallas and drop off the car to the intake employees and proceed into the airport rental car building. Immediately upon entering I walk directly to the Enterprise counter and book a vehicle for 2 days in Dallas with an experience from the reception desk to the drive off immensely better than Payless. I can comfortably say I will NEVER use Payless Rental Car EVER again. Customer Service can be the most basic process and I promise I’m not looking to have my feet kissed by the employees but basic professionalism is expected. Spend a little more and go with a company more reputable. It’s worth it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I rented a car over Christmas break and they did not return my car in the system. And I was given a receipt for $270.95 and they changed me for 850.05 saying my car was 6 days past due. When I was on the flight home and had returned the vehicle. I have waited the minimum 72 hours and still have not received my refund or have had anything fixed. I do not recommend renting from them. They are a fraud company. It’s a scam.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My husband rented a car over Christmas week. He was told to bring the car back with a full tank of gas. He gassed it up the night before we returned it at Chicago O'Hare airport. They emailed my husband that it was a gallon short and they were charging him over $80.00 dollars for 1 gallon of gas. He has been trying to speak to someone but nobody will return his call. DO NOT RENT FROM THESE CROOKS!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Booked a car through Orbitz with Payless in Turks & Caicos, several months in advance. Upon arrival, they had no cars available whatsoever, neither automatic no manual. I had to rent on site through another company, at about 3 times the original price. Payless cons travelers, booking attractive rentals and then redirecting to another shady operator.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Worst experience I have ever had in renting cars for the past 45 years. Quoted $420 for 4 days in Puerto Rico through Payless Car Rental in Carolina at the airport when it was reserved. Waited for over an hour to pick up the vehicle and was told at that time it would be $420 if returned with a full tank of gas. When the vehicle was returned the agents attempted to charged us for damage to the vehicle that was already present when it was given to us. Fortunately, my son had the presence of mind to take a video of the entire exterior of the vehicle before we took took possession of it.

When we showed them the video of the existing damage, they lost their argument for our paying for the damage. If we didn't have the video we would have been paying for damage that had only been done to the vehicle. Additionally, with added fees that nobody can clearly define for me our charges ended up being $537.57 instead of the agreed up $420. Over $100 of added fees that were never divulged until the vehicle was returned. Avoid Payless Car Rental at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

They are PayMORE not payLess at all. They are dishonest. They put lower rates on the Internet and when I went to pick up the car, they made it the most expensive rate! They wanted to force me to buy their insurance for $20 a day and they insisted that the insurance is mandatory (they did not accept my insurance with Credit Card). I checked with 3 other car rentals, all said it is not mandatory and the max price for insurance is $14 a day! One of those 3 car rentals offered me $11 a day (If I wanted as optional)!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I recently rented a car for our family vacation. Shortly after I begun driving the car, a low tire pressure light came on. We stopped at a gas station to add air. The light would come on about twice a day. We were visiting gas stations twice a day to top the air off. Sometimes air was free/sometimes it was $1.50. After becoming frustrated with this activity, we contacted Customer Service. They advised us to return the car to McClellan-Palomar airport. It was late in the day, and they were closing soon.

Upon arrival, they advised that they do not handle Payless cars. The next day we attempted to contact Customer Service again. As we were close to the San Diego airport, we asked if we could swap out the car at that location. The agent told us we needed to return the car to Ontario, California (near Los Angeles). This was not feasible as we were not planning to go to LA. I am very disappointed that this could not be resolved. I have never encountered such an experience from a car rental agency before.

Payless Car Rental Company Information