2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.6/5 (1072 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I book airline tickets from Orbitz and earned $68. I couldn’t utilize due to COVID and lockdown. My earned money $68 gone. It is not fair. No customer service and I tried 25 times and failed to contact them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

You guys will not get great reviews from me. Someone I was supposed to travel had Covid. I couldn't leave. They couldn't leave cause we wouldn't get on the damn flight anyways! And you guys didn't wanna refund me my money! I will never let friends family to order from you guys tickets or trips. Declined me 6 times! When I called said you would email me to update me. No one ever did. 6 times I tried!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I booked a hotel about 2 months in advance of our travel. Paid at that time. Upon arrival I was told that three days after I booked and paid Orbitz canceled my reservation. They kept the $900 dollars. I paid again, slightly more and when I returned home I contacted orbitz customer service and they let me know I was on my own. Will never use orbitz or any of the Expedia group services again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I booked a family trip to the Dominican Republic 3 months in advance. Orbit failed to provide seats on the flight. The day before the trip, I received an email to pre-check in, there were no seats available. The only way I could get seats was if I paid $89 extra per seats. I spent 2.5 hours trying to solve the issue. I was promised a phone call from the Supervisor at 9:45 pm, and the flight was departing at 7:15 am the next day. After 2.5 hours if being on the phone, I was told by customer service representative that I needed to call the airline directly since they just sell the tickets. Needless to say, I never heard from the Supervisor.

I ended up calling United Airlines directly and they were able to accommodate us. My family and I are currently on vacation now, but are concerned if we will have assigned seats to return home. When speaking with the customer service representative, I questioned the purpose of their company if they are selling a product that they cannot deliver. I was utterly frustrated and will never purchase airline tickets through a third party. To add insult to injury, I received an email asking "how was your check-in." Shame on you Orbitz.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

By far the worst company ever you can deal with. Beware. They are scammer. Customer service are useless and will make your experience worse. They do not care about anything. They scammed me for car rental and I will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

If possible try to avoid booking hotel reservations through a 3rd party if you can. In this case, I used Orbitz.com and I have been using Orbitz since 2002. This was the first time I ran into this issue, and right now I'm in the hole ~$5000 USD with no guarantee I will get that money back. I booked 4 rooms in June for a trip in July: 24th-Aug 1st 2021. This was a prepaid booking but on the reservation it says, "free cancellation by July 23rd, 2021." Naturally, because of COVID, plans changed so I needed to cancel 1 room and change the dates of the reservation on the remaining 3 rooms.

I called on July 10th, initially to the hotel who said "we cannot change this reservation bc it was booked through a 3rd party, so you'll have to call them." So I called Orbitz on July 10th (14 days before the reservation). They were able to cancel one reservation and edit the dates on 2 of the three reservations. I got refunded for those changes within 10 days. But the 4th change didn't get done bc of a computer/system issue. I was told I would get a call back within 48 hours. I never got a call back.

I called Orbitz again on July 20th to change the 4th reservation. I was told at that time to rebook (at a higher price) for the dates I needed and trust that they would be able to cancel the 4th room on the previous itinerary. I rebooked the room for my needed dates and the agent ran into the same problem: she couldn't cancel the previous reservation. She gave me lots of reassurances that this would be sorted and I would get my refund and to call back in 72 hours. I called again on July 24th, now the start of the reservation for the room that should have been canceled 14 days before. I was told that all of the complications were documented so I should get a refund for the room that was not canceled bc of a computer glitch and to give Orbitz another 72 hours to handle this issue. Still not done.

I called for the 4th time during the intended reservation on July 30th. I called at 1pm on a Thursday in the US, but the agent was located abroad and it was 9pm over there so I was told "there is no supervisor here at this time bc it is 9pm and you should call back during business hours." I called at 1PM on a Thursday in the US -- as far as I'm concerned those ARE business hours. Since I had no means of escalating further, I had to hang up and give them another 72 hours. So I called on Aug 2nd and again on Aug 7th -- now the reservation is over. I was never able to cancel the room through Orbitz. The agent at Orbitz now tells me "can you call the hotel and explain this situation and see if they'll refund you?" WHAT?! NO, the hotel told me that they couldn't cancel the reservation bc it was booked through a 3rd party!

Orbitz already charged me for the room and gave me assurances that the room was fully refundable if I called before July 23rd -- I had been calling since July 10th to get this sorted! Orbitz now tells me "we have to call the hotel and see if they'll refund us for a room you never used and if they refund us, we'll refund you." So now you're saying there's a chance I won't get my refund for a computer issue that is YOUR issue. There's never a solution posed, just more reassurances "that it will be fixed, trust me."

I didn't even include the number of times the calls to an Orbitz agent were disconnected. They ask you for your call back number at the start of the call, but they never actually call you back if the line gets disconnected. I called one more time 2 days ago and was told "please give us another 72 hours and if you don't get an email or call from us about this issue, give us a call back."

I have been using Orbitz for 20 years, but now never again. And I will warn ANYONE who asks me about this situation. I'm including the hotel in this bc they also are part of the problem. Naples Grande Beach Resort could easily cancel and refund the money to the 3rd party when it is within the bounds of their own cancellation policy, but they choose to send you on this wild goose chase bc this is how they make money. So watch out!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I have used Orbitz for flight reservations for years but recently have had very negative experience with customer service which has been (without exception) outsourced to other countries with call takers that are hard to understand and don't seem to know their job very well. In some instances the background noise in the call center is so LOUD you can't hear the person you are dealing with. I didn't get the email for my flight reservation and it wasn't listed on my Trips on the Orbitz website. When I called I was Shuttled to someone in India(?) who gave me the wrong infornation. I had to call the airline to FINALLY talk to someone who speaks English (that I can understand and knows their job), for the correct information..and got the correct info about the flight.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I booked a "cheap" flight through Orbitz, thinking I was getting a great deal. A round trip for $291.70. My (return) flight was cancelled, I had to book another flight to return home that cost me $588.70 alone. It was a nightmare, I had to stand in line for 6 hours to claim a refund from the airline (Spirit). When I checked my credit card I had a charge for $291.97 from the airline and a second charge for $290.70 from Orbitz. That flight ended up being more expensive than if I had booked with the airline directly.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

This is become totally fraudulent business. After so many years being your loyal customer, I recently purchased four business class tickets to Europe round trip with insurance. About 10 days before flight I got notification that airline cancelled my tickets. I was on the long call with customer support and after while I was promised full refund. Yes, I received my tickets price back, but I didn't get my insurance money back, $647 is not couple dollars, why I should pay insurance for something that was cancelled not by me and didn't get compensated. This is absolutely ridiculous and I will fight for this money and I will tell everyone that Orbitz is fraud.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

The hotel that I booked through Orbitz told me the day before my reservation date that they did not have a room for me. So here I was, 24 hrs before my trip, with no room. I went to Priceline and was fortunate enough to get a room for a bit more than my original Orbitz reservation. Understand, this was for the 1st day of the 3-day Newport Jazz Fest, so getting a room at this late stage was a miracle.

Then the real fun started, when I tried to call Orbitz to get a refund. Spoke with an agent for 15 minutes who could do nothing herself to help me. She transferred me to Customer Care where I remained on hold for 45 minutes, after which I was disconnected. Called back, explained whole story to a DIFFERENT agent, who said SHE would transfer me to Customer Care. I said “PLEASE, I won’t be kept on hold again for 45 minutes, will I? “ and she assured me they would pick up right away. I waited on hold for 1/2 an hour and then decided I was DONE. No one ever got back to me. I still don’t know whether or how I will get my $426 refunded to me.

Original review: July 29, 2021

So my 1 day trip to LA started great. 270 for flight, hotel. Can't beat that. Long story short. The virtual assistant canceled the wrong thing (hotel) instead of flight. Take flight and gets canceled. I drive to la after rebooking my hotel at the same hotel after being told by Orbitz that I needed to do so to get refund. So paid twice for 1 night. Spoken to 5 different representatives. Got hung up on 3 times. And waited on the phone for 4-5 hrs total to speak to someone about it. Mind you no refund yet. Now it's my responsibility to speak to hotel to get refund. The whole reservation through Orbitz was canceled. They won't let me speak to manager. Customer service sucks!! You are lied to, ignored, hung up on, they treat you like you're the problem. Just rude. Still no resolution. I was ripped off. I won't use orbitz again.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I am currently on hold again with Orbitz on a 55 minute and running call. The purpose of the call was to use airline credits that their system could not process online for myself and my wife. The agent explained that she had to process the two tickets separately. It took a good bit of time for her to conduct each stage of the process, which was fine. However, when she finally got around to booking my wife seat on the same flight, I was informed that the price of the ticket went up $42 from the price that my seat was booked earlier in the call. Ridiculous! Their incompetence was charged to me.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Booked a rental car at Fox rentals through Orbitz and now I'm out over $500. When I went to go pick up my rental from Fox they wouldn't accept my payment because I'm local (which technically I am not, I'm from a different city but because I'm still in the 150mi range I'm considered a local which is **) EVEN THOUGH IT'S ALREADY BEEN PAID FOR THROUGH ORBITZ. I called customer service and it was HORRIBLE! Not only did I have to wait over 2 hours to talk to someone I kept getting hung up on.

When I finally got someone who seemed like he was gonna help, he put me on hold for over 1 1/2 hours and then hung up. So again another 2hr wait to talk to someone. Then FINALLY got someone who seemed legit on helping me out, he told me he was going to file a case. I told him I wanted an email with full details regarding him filing a case and when I received it I told him his name wasn't on there like I asked for and he hung up before I could even add that it didn't even have a case number attached. All the email said was that he filed a case and someone will get back with me in 10 days. I'm still waiting. It seems like they're trying to beat around the bush hoping that I forget and stop pursuing the situation. Far from that. Everyday that passes I'm getting more impatient and more angry. ORBITZ IS A TOTAL SCAM. I will expose them and this will be taken to court! I will not be out over $500 for a rental car that I never even laid eyes on.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I recently booked a package to the Maldives including flight and resort, for $9,552. I selected the all-inclusive option for the resort which was an additional $514 per night over the standard bed and breakfast rate. The resort has confirmed my reservation but Orbitz only booked the bed and breakfast rate. Now they refuse to fix the booking for the all inclusive option even though that's what we paid for. Do NOT do business with Orbitz.

Original review: July 17, 2021

We booked a family trip with airfare and hotel resort through Orbitz and it has been a complete disaster. After we booked we wanted to make changes on our room to upgrade but after everything was done we notice something wasn't right on our booking that Orbitz made a mistake on. Orbitz side canceled our rooms and flight without our authorization. We called Orbitz to fix it and they hung up on us on a few attempts that we spent on the phone with each time. It seems like when we get to our point on pointing out their mistakes they hang up and don't call back. After a few attempts they said they will rebook our room at the same resort. They charged us again and then told us they will refund just need to make some changes to fix the problem and it was never fixed. Called back another day to address the issue. They again hung up the phone again when we address our complaint.

Finally talked to someone and he assured us that he will go back on the call recording history to and fix the issues within 24hrs and give us a callback within that 24hrs. We never got a call. Two days after we called back to confirm our booking. They said everything looks like what we expected it to be. Finding out days after because we didn't feel right and want to make sure again we called again and nothing was change and again the person we talked to said she will review the call and give us a callback within 24hrs. Nope again nothing has change.

Called today to just completely cancel our whole planned trip that we are suppose to take in 2 days. The guy hung up on me when I told him that he needs to refund or credit us on the American Airlines which we didn't book a econ seating saying they can't refund/credit it back when we book originally that we booked it with the option of refundable. We also booked one of the flights with Delta which they said they can refund/credit back which I doubt they have done that as well.

Currently I'm still on hold with them for 1hr 44min 56sec. We feel like we been misled into a deeper hole that was cause Orbitz hired call center. Orbitz clearly and purposely failed to provide any customer service and a false representation of help Orbitz consumers. I spent over $15k on this booking and they want to screw us over. It's bad enough that we had to cancel our one and only family trip before summer ends. We are lost for words to describe how we feel and our whole experience.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I had issues when trying to book a flight on Orbitz. Tried calling customer service and talked to robot that told me I needed a itinerary number to talk to a human. I didn't have a number since it hasn't gone through yet. Yet they tried to charge my credit card. Will never deal with them again.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I just experienced my first horrible experience with Orbitz. I made my reservation which was confirmed in an email 6/22 which stated my trip was confirmed and I did not need to do anything else. Then I took a trip out of the country to return to see that my trip had been cancelled because they had been unable to contact me. "Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation."

Then, three days later I got an email saying that they had been trying to contact me and since they were unable to contact me, the trip has been cancelled. I got no messages or emails from Orbitz been the confirmation and the cancellation. When I called them, I got transferred to a person who deals with problems, but the call was dropped. When I called back, they said that the itinerary was cancelled because all the flights had been cancelled. They made no effort to rectify it. The calls were directed to India.

Original review: July 2, 2021

If I could give less than one star, I would. Orbitz incorrectly transferred my name to the airline, despite the fact that I had spelled it correctly and the correct name was reflected on my itinerary. When I spoke to customer service, they told me I wouldn’t be able to fly and that I had to rebook and then cancel my original reservation. They blamed me for the mistake in the name, stating that the error couldn’t have been made on their end. Because I had already booked the tickets, orbitz wouldn’t let me rebook. So the customer service person told me he would process the cancellation himself. I told him I was concerned that the same thing would happen again when we tried to rebook. He told me to be patient and that the cancellation was being processed. Then, after about 40 minutes, he just disconnected!

By this time it was late at night so I went ahead and purchased new tickets on the airlines website, rather than through Orbitz, under the impression that my tickets had been cancelled by the representative. Today, I went to check on orbitz that the flight had been cancelled and saw that it had not. So I called Orbitz and the woman told me there was nothing they could do. It was “out of their hands” and up to the airline. All this despite the fact that I had been told it was cancelled the day before AND I had purchased insurance. When I asked if there was someone else I could speak to, the woman told me she would find a manager and then disconnected after I was waiting for over 30 minutes. I am absolutely disgusted and implore anyone who is looking for flights NOT to use orbitz. They tried scamming me out of over $1,000 and I was forced to dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Today I tried to book a flight. As I got to final page to confirm travel information I got an error yet my credit card was charged. I tried to call customer service and can’t get through without itinerary number, had the same experience with virtual chat. Stay away from this app and website

Original review: June 24, 2021

I’ve used Orbitz for years and always had a great experience until this one. After this, I will never again use them. I booked a family vacation months in advance. I started getting weird text messages stating I needed to click a link to accept a change to my travel. It had my daughters name as the contact so I knew it was fraud. Plus, I figured I would receive an email should there be any legitimate issues. I finally called customer service just to double check. It took several days to finally get through as each wait was hours long and I had to eventually hang up.

I left my number for a callback but never received one. When I did get through after a 3 hour hold one night, the gentleman on the phone was extremely rude and threatening. He said I needed to click the link immediately or he was cancelling my trip. I told him I wasn’t comfortable clicking a link to accept changes without seeing the changes first. He laughed and said that’s fine then I’ll cancel it. We went around on the phone for 2 hours. I asked for a supervisor and he told me everyone in their company is equal and there are no bosses (which I know is bs). He also offered to put me back in the cue to wait another few hours to talk to someone else who would tell me the same thing.

At the end I had to click a link despite my better judgment to avoid cancelling a trip on my kids. It was changed from a direct flight to one with several stops and I lost the money for the seats I had upgraded to and had to start over. I lost hundreds of dollars and would have been a few hour flight turned into daylong travel. It was an awful experience and the customer service was horrendous. I’ve never been treated more rudely. Avoid them at all costs. I’ve read other reviews stating similar experiences where the service used to be good but is now the worst.

Original review: June 18, 2021

What a horrible site!!!! They get you in the middle of your trip confirmation with a message saying Prices have changed... Please book again". Then they charge you twice when you do the booking again.. You call them saying "Hey.. there has been a mistake!" They tell you to wait a couple of days and charges will be reversed only to tell you when you call them after that period that oh "This is not our problem.... Please call your bank." Knowing very well that the transactions were made on their site using their software yet having no problems telling their customers to go somewhere else to get their refunds. Horrible scam!! And a waste of consumer time and money. Stay Away!!

Original review: June 17, 2021

My credit card company says they have 7 charges from Orbitz BUT ORBITZ says the payment is not going through AND TO TRY AGAIN!!!! The customer service line only connects you by an itinerary number, but since my trip did not go through I never received an itinerary. After 'chatting' with a robot they gave me a disconnected number to call. Finally, I was given a number to speak with a human and waited on hold for over 45 minutes. The issue is still not resolved.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I booked a car rental with them but because I have an account I failed to change the name in the booking. The car was for my wife but my name appeared on the booking. Now, I understand it is nonrefundable but there are mistakes. I was not asking for a refund but simply a way to add my wife as a driver. it took me two weeks to get to talk to someone. First, they told me that it should be The Dollar rental to make the change. I contacted Dollar and they said they can't even access the booking and neither can I. So first they lied to me and then they said, there is nothing we can do. I was forced to book another car so $ 500 was gone. I understand that Orbitz made $500 out of thin air but they will never get my business again and I will try to convince as many people as possible to stay away from them.

Original review: June 15, 2021

We booked flights in April 2020. Covid cancellation using United airlines. Got flight credits from United. Kicker is must use Orbitz to use the United flight credits for different flights. I used the Orbitz "call back in 3 hours". Never got a call back. Today I am using the waiting for next agent to pickup call. Was told would be 1 hour. I waited and after 40 minutes, phone went to circuit busy!! GRRR. I am in the one hour wait queue again, got my fingers crossed. I will not use Orbitz again.

Original review: June 13, 2021

The WORST!! Expedia owns Orbitz as of May 2021 and I want to say that I’ve never had such terrible customer service and a ruined vacation because of these **. Their customer service is overseas and they are terrible! They won’t let you talk to a manager. They will not call you back when say they will. They will not refund. Instead of enjoying my vacation with my family I spent hours on the phone and never even got the help I needed or the product I booked and paid for with them, and instead had to just pay (again) one of their competitors for the services I needed. I will tell everyone I know to never use Orbitz (or Expedia).

Original review: June 7, 2021

I called several times about a flight I cancelled, but it showed in their end as me not cancelling. I called several times, each with a different kind of crappy service. I have talked to 8 different people concerning this issue and have been hung up on 3 times. Tell me how this is acceptable?! After this I’m deleting Orbitz and Expedia (I just found out they are the same company) and will NEVER use them again! This has been a nightmare!

Original review: May 27, 2021

There has not been a worse experience than booking a flight on Orbitz. Customer service does not exist. They have not refunded my ticket money even after the flight was canceled by airline due to Covid situation. Despite repeated follow ups there has been no response and every time a customer care call got connected after hours of wait, they would disconnect the call without resolving my issue and then never call back. They should not be in service industry and their license should be revoked.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I recently received an email saying that my flight was cancelled. Since their website, and the airlines, didn't reflect a flight cancellation I tried contacting them.

1. I tried contacting by chat, but was told "Chat agents are unavailable".

2. I tried calling, and their system said the wait was 4 hours!

This is unacceptable customer service, and possibly the worst I have encountered.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I used Orbitz to book a hotel at, "HomeTowne Studios" Irving Texas. Got there all the rooms offered to me were filthy and beds unmade. Did not stay at the hotel and requested a refund from Hometowne studios. Hometowne studios agreed to refund my money. I notified Orbitz that same night that I would not be staying at Hometowne studios and they agreed to refund my money. Orbitz has not refunded my money. That was five months ago. I have called Orbitz several times requesting my refund; only to be given the run around. I will never use Orbitz again.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Don't buy anything via Orbitz! They charged me twice and when I complained, they said that I will receive the money back in a couple of weeks. When that didn't happened and I complained again, they said they are not responsible and they can't do anything and I had to file a claim directly with the airline... And that they "just" advertise travels, but they don't respond for anything related to them. Those are the textual words from the Orbitz's agent who talked to me. So do not trust in this site!

Orbitz Company Information