3.8/5 (639 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I purchased my round ticket. I paid $63.00 for luggage, and $22.00 for traveler's insurance in case I needed to change dates. I tried to reschedule my flights due to omicron high infection rates but they asked me to contact the airline directly. The airline did not honor my insurance and charged me $140.00 for their "combo protection" to insure my flights plus $69.00 for luggage. I am frustrated and furious for their lack of responsibility and their evilness. Orbitz and Volaris are such thieves. If you go with them you end up paying more than they promise. This is my second bad experience with both. Please Be Careful.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Beware using Orbitz!! Worst ever experience!!! I am sitting on unusable $1800 worth of credits. Tried to apply credits for cancelled tickets and the agent told me I couldn't cause they expired. Yet I have an email from Orbitz that says they won't expire for another month and that I have a full year to use the tickets. They acknowledge the emails they sent me and that my orbitz account have credits that can be redeemed but they maintain they couldn't honor them because of the airline policy. I am dumbfounded cause the only communication about credits is from Orbitz and not the airlines. Multiple calls with different agents and supervisor yielded the same negative results. They are trained to just ignore you and not fix the issues.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

When I canceled my flight, and tried to rebook them with the current pricing, not only they refuse to give me the up-to-date price, which would cost me half as much, but I got charged old pricing + 2000 $ more in fees!!! Plus I got worse seating than previously booked! I wanted to warn everyone not to work with them, because of the business which don't treat us well as customers they deserve to go down, so hopefully better businesses have room to resurface.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I rented a car to pick up in Victoria - my flight was delayed 3 times - each time I called Orbitz and advised them. When we got to the airport the rental company Thrifty was closed (they closed at 4 PM) - at no time were we advised of that nor was there anyone there to assist us. Having called Orbitz many times, being transferred many times and dealing with staff who know nothing - I have got nowhere. I am still fighting to get back the prepaid insurance. I would not use Orbitz for absolutely anything and will be spreading the word as much as I can.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

Once we cancelled our transaction with them. They continued to bother us about giving them another form of payment instead of giving us authorization to our tickets. Got mad and hung up on us. HORRIBLE.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Rented a car through Orbitz where I needed to put down a $200 deposit. Actual car rental company was terrible and rented our car out and had no more rentals leaving us stuck at the airport with no car. Rental agency could not refund the money and said to contact booking agency. Called Orbitz customer service multiple times and got either disconnected right away, within a few minutes, or after being on hold for 30 min. They were unable to get a hold of ANYONE at the rental car agency (WITH WHO THEY DO BUSINESS WITH) after many attempts and after trying on different days. Still waiting to hear back for my refund...

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I booked a trip with Orbitz and they provided my hotel with the incorrect dates. When I called the hotel to confirm my reservation 4 days before my arrival (just out of curiosity) the hotel told me Orbitz provided them with different dates and they are responsible for providing the correct updated information. When I called Orbitz, I was met with incompetent representatives (more than one) who continuously provided me with incorrect and inconsistent information. The second representative could not even tell me if my case was schedule for high priority or not! When I asked to speak with a manager I was told this was not possible because everyone is working from home. I will NEVER book with them again!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Absolutely the worst experience of my life at MCO/Easirent and Orbitz. We booked our rental through Orbitz and upon arrival Easirent vans were not easily marked with only a small magnet on the front hood. Upon arrival at their facility, we noticed there were about 20-30 people waiting. I walked in and asked what is going on as a gentleman was arguing with the staff. I asked a lady how long she had been waiting, and she said over 1 1/2 hrs. I asked the staff what I needed to do, and they sign in and wait to be called. I can overhear the tenants trying to sell additional coverage to people telling them if you don't purchase the additional coverage, we can't rent you the car. REALLY? Well, when you rent the vehicle online, it's optional just like every other car rental.

A complete scam and disgrace by this organization and anyone associated with this organization is part of the fraudulent business practice. We tried to get our refund of $200 and both Orbitz and Easirent refused to refund us our money. NEVER, EVER again...I am going to make sure this gets posted everywhere so people will know to stay away. Orbitz should be ashamed and disgusted with their customer service and who they do business with. A complete scam.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Have been trying for almost to years to get a refund that Orbitz says they provided but I have not received. All I get is canned answers from online and trying to work with her customer service department is impossible. I’ve tried to speak to supervisors and I’m told they will call me back but I never received a call. I have been told they are running a trace on my refund three times but I never hear back from them. I have contacted them over 200 times and never a response except for a canned, "Will get back to you" then when they get back to me they say a refund was provided. This company is a very bad company for consumers. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Grandpa was rejected from airport in El Salvador.,saying his covid test was no good anymore.....Flying was scheduled to August 15 and his test was made it August 12. Test still good for his 72 hours and because that he lost his fly taking advantage of a 85 years old man who don't know write and read too. So I made my claim to re-schedule Or get my money back ....but Orbitz send me with the insurance or whoever's covered that situation and they say they can't give me my money back because Orbitz didn't approve it and and vice versa. At this point ins said "ORBITZ HAS YOUR MONEY" but Orbitz keep send me with the others. So conclusion they (Orbitz) steal my money. I keep sending the copy of the proof and they keep rejected over and over. ORBITZ IS SUCKS.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Horrible customer service, he refused to refund money when cancellation done before 24 hrs, initiated flight credit within 24 days we needed use flight credit, refused use it. We have pay again, now what happened to first 3 tickets credit. If we cannot use it then we need money back, this is very dangerous situation if airline have customer service do what they like to do, non experienced, does not know who are those people. This is critical and dangerous. Airline has notice that, I personally will not buy anymore from Orbitz, untrusted customer service, untrusted non supervised customer service ....Good luck with your business.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I spent $4,933.79 on flights on Orbitz in 2020. They assured me I could use my credits until April 2, 2022. However, they refuse to let me use my credits or give me a refund, because they claim that they have an agreement with the airline to handle the credits. The airline denies this and claims to know nothing about the tickets. Orbitz should handle the problem or eat the costs, since I bought the tickets through them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

This company is an utter piece of garbage. Twice this week I have found that cancelling a flight and getting a legitimate refund from them is an exercise of utter insulting stupidity and dishonesty. They will block you every step of the way with technical glitches on their site, robot answering machines, idiotic chat dialogues, stupid irrelevant questions, and actual agents who are worse than useless, do not even know how to cancel a flight and leave you on hold for half an hour. I will never give this company my money again, they do not deserve our business whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Easy to book decent prices BUT if you run into problems you are on your own. Talking to customer service is talking to people outside the US and no one is helpful. They are inconsiderate, rude and will leave you on hold forever until they disconnect you. NO help from customer service!! Book with Orbitz is taking a huge risk! Please do not take your chances.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Tried to use tickets that were rebooked due to COVID-19. Spent hours on the phone and finally got confirmation for me and my wife for new tickets - on departure was told tickets didn’t exist. Stuck in airport on hold with customer service. Plane has left. More crap ahead for rebooking due to missed connections.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Can't reach them by phone or e-mail. Customer service is non-existent. Their phone system is designed to frustrate the caller and make it as difficult as possible. There is a good chance it will hang up on you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

I booked a hotel for 4 nights through Orbitz and upon checkout was charged a 9.99 booking fee for Orbitz for EACH NIGHT. This meant the total was $40 more. In addition there were a municipal accommodation tax, a service fee, and parking for each night. The final total was $300 more than indicated on Orbitz.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Horrible customer service!!! They do not care about the client at all and lie. My flight was canceled due to weather conditions and I was not able to proceed with my trip. As soon as I found out about this, I called Orbitz to cancel my hotel reservation - 2 nights. It was the day of my check in and I understand it was a last minute change but it was due to circumstances beyond my control. I am a long term client of Orbitz, making all of my reservations through Orbitz, so I was counting for understanding and help with this unusual situation. I spent hours on the phone, in group chats, spoke with many people, and they kept saying that the hotel is not authorizing the refund. Every time I called the hotel, they were saying, that any refunds are processed by the company the reservation was made through. So after wasting so much of my time I wasn't even offered any credit that I could possibly use in the future, no partial refund, nothing.

I requested two times to talk to a manager but they never bothered to call me back. It was so disappointing and unprofessional. Obviously either Orbitz or the Edge Hotel Clearwater beach was not telling the truth, none of them was willing to solve this problem!!!! After 10 years of being a loyal customer of Orbitz I will never make another reservation with them! Stay away from them, if you have any problems with your trip, they really don't care and don't make any effort to help you out!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

My flight was cancelled through the airline due to COVID a while back and Orbitz gave me instructions and timeline to rebook. (First of all it was only a partial refund which should have been my first red flag but I figured that came from the airline). I went to rebook this last week, going off of their instructions, and they “didn’t have any record of the transaction”. It was completely removed from my account. I provided email documentation and screenshots of the instructions to rebook, with screenshots of the same reference numbers I already gave them in the chat. They then magically found it, and tried to charge me $3200 (not a typo, literally over three grand) more than the itinerary showed on their site when I searched.

They told me this was the only way the voucher was valid, or I could book without the voucher (for $650…. My voucher’s $540 so it should have covered most of the cost). I reached out to the airline directly and they have no record of the ticket I bought in their system, and redirected me to Orbitz. Orbitz is staying firm that to use my “credit” I must purchase the $3850 version of the itinerary they are offering me. I’ve been going in circles with them for over a week with no resolution. I clearly wasted hundreds of dollars on my original ticket. Hopefully sharing my experience will help others avoid the same situation.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I book airline tickets from Orbitz and earned $68. I couldn’t utilize due to COVID and lockdown. My earned money $68 gone. It is not fair. No customer service and I tried 25 times and failed to contact them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

You guys will not get great reviews from me. Someone I was supposed to travel had Covid. I couldn't leave. They couldn't leave cause we wouldn't get on the damn flight anyways! And you guys didn't wanna refund me my money! I will never let friends family to order from you guys tickets or trips. Declined me 6 times! When I called said you would email me to update me. No one ever did. 6 times I tried!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I booked a hotel about 2 months in advance of our travel. Paid at that time. Upon arrival I was told that three days after I booked and paid Orbitz canceled my reservation. They kept the $900 dollars. I paid again, slightly more and when I returned home I contacted orbitz customer service and they let me know I was on my own. Will never use orbitz or any of the Expedia group services again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I booked a family trip to the Dominican Republic 3 months in advance. Orbit failed to provide seats on the flight. The day before the trip, I received an email to pre-check in, there were no seats available. The only way I could get seats was if I paid $89 extra per seats. I spent 2.5 hours trying to solve the issue. I was promised a phone call from the Supervisor at 9:45 pm, and the flight was departing at 7:15 am the next day. After 2.5 hours if being on the phone, I was told by customer service representative that I needed to call the airline directly since they just sell the tickets. Needless to say, I never heard from the Supervisor.

I ended up calling United Airlines directly and they were able to accommodate us. My family and I are currently on vacation now, but are concerned if we will have assigned seats to return home. When speaking with the customer service representative, I questioned the purpose of their company if they are selling a product that they cannot deliver. I was utterly frustrated and will never purchase airline tickets through a third party. To add insult to injury, I received an email asking "how was your check-in." Shame on you Orbitz.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

By far the worst company ever you can deal with. Beware. They are scammer. Customer service are useless and will make your experience worse. They do not care about anything. They scammed me for car rental and I will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

If possible try to avoid booking hotel reservations through a 3rd party if you can. In this case, I used Orbitz.com and I have been using Orbitz since 2002. This was the first time I ran into this issue, and right now I'm in the hole ~$5000 USD with no guarantee I will get that money back. I booked 4 rooms in June for a trip in July: 24th-Aug 1st 2021. This was a prepaid booking but on the reservation it says, "free cancellation by July 23rd, 2021." Naturally, because of COVID, plans changed so I needed to cancel 1 room and change the dates of the reservation on the remaining 3 rooms.

I called on July 10th, initially to the hotel who said "we cannot change this reservation bc it was booked through a 3rd party, so you'll have to call them." So I called Orbitz on July 10th (14 days before the reservation). They were able to cancel one reservation and edit the dates on 2 of the three reservations. I got refunded for those changes within 10 days. But the 4th change didn't get done bc of a computer/system issue. I was told I would get a call back within 48 hours. I never got a call back.

I called Orbitz again on July 20th to change the 4th reservation. I was told at that time to rebook (at a higher price) for the dates I needed and trust that they would be able to cancel the 4th room on the previous itinerary. I rebooked the room for my needed dates and the agent ran into the same problem: she couldn't cancel the previous reservation. She gave me lots of reassurances that this would be sorted and I would get my refund and to call back in 72 hours. I called again on July 24th, now the start of the reservation for the room that should have been canceled 14 days before. I was told that all of the complications were documented so I should get a refund for the room that was not canceled bc of a computer glitch and to give Orbitz another 72 hours to handle this issue. Still not done.

I called for the 4th time during the intended reservation on July 30th. I called at 1pm on a Thursday in the US, but the agent was located abroad and it was 9pm over there so I was told "there is no supervisor here at this time bc it is 9pm and you should call back during business hours." I called at 1PM on a Thursday in the US -- as far as I'm concerned those ARE business hours. Since I had no means of escalating further, I had to hang up and give them another 72 hours. So I called on Aug 2nd and again on Aug 7th -- now the reservation is over. I was never able to cancel the room through Orbitz. The agent at Orbitz now tells me "can you call the hotel and explain this situation and see if they'll refund you?" WHAT?! NO, the hotel told me that they couldn't cancel the reservation bc it was booked through a 3rd party!

Orbitz already charged me for the room and gave me assurances that the room was fully refundable if I called before July 23rd -- I had been calling since July 10th to get this sorted! Orbitz now tells me "we have to call the hotel and see if they'll refund us for a room you never used and if they refund us, we'll refund you." So now you're saying there's a chance I won't get my refund for a computer issue that is YOUR issue. There's never a solution posed, just more reassurances "that it will be fixed, trust me."

I didn't even include the number of times the calls to an Orbitz agent were disconnected. They ask you for your call back number at the start of the call, but they never actually call you back if the line gets disconnected. I called one more time 2 days ago and was told "please give us another 72 hours and if you don't get an email or call from us about this issue, give us a call back."

I have been using Orbitz for 20 years, but now never again. And I will warn ANYONE who asks me about this situation. I'm including the hotel in this bc they also are part of the problem. Naples Grande Beach Resort could easily cancel and refund the money to the 3rd party when it is within the bounds of their own cancellation policy, but they choose to send you on this wild goose chase bc this is how they make money. So watch out!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I have used Orbitz for flight reservations for years but recently have had very negative experience with customer service which has been (without exception) outsourced to other countries with call takers that are hard to understand and don't seem to know their job very well. In some instances the background noise in the call center is so LOUD you can't hear the person you are dealing with. I didn't get the email for my flight reservation and it wasn't listed on my Trips on the Orbitz website. When I called I was Shuttled to someone in India(?) who gave me the wrong infornation. I had to call the airline to FINALLY talk to someone who speaks English (that I can understand and knows their job), for the correct information..and got the correct info about the flight.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I booked a "cheap" flight through Orbitz, thinking I was getting a great deal. A round trip for $291.70. My (return) flight was cancelled, I had to book another flight to return home that cost me $588.70 alone. It was a nightmare, I had to stand in line for 6 hours to claim a refund from the airline (Spirit). When I checked my credit card I had a charge for $291.97 from the airline and a second charge for $290.70 from Orbitz. That flight ended up being more expensive than if I had booked with the airline directly.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

This is become totally fraudulent business. After so many years being your loyal customer, I recently purchased four business class tickets to Europe round trip with insurance. About 10 days before flight I got notification that airline cancelled my tickets. I was on the long call with customer support and after while I was promised full refund. Yes, I received my tickets price back, but I didn't get my insurance money back, $647 is not couple dollars, why I should pay insurance for something that was cancelled not by me and didn't get compensated. This is absolutely ridiculous and I will fight for this money and I will tell everyone that Orbitz is fraud.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

The hotel that I booked through Orbitz told me the day before my reservation date that they did not have a room for me. So here I was, 24 hrs before my trip, with no room. I went to Priceline and was fortunate enough to get a room for a bit more than my original Orbitz reservation. Understand, this was for the 1st day of the 3-day Newport Jazz Fest, so getting a room at this late stage was a miracle.

Then the real fun started, when I tried to call Orbitz to get a refund. Spoke with an agent for 15 minutes who could do nothing herself to help me. She transferred me to Customer Care where I remained on hold for 45 minutes, after which I was disconnected. Called back, explained whole story to a DIFFERENT agent, who said SHE would transfer me to Customer Care. I said “PLEASE, I won’t be kept on hold again for 45 minutes, will I? “ and she assured me they would pick up right away. I waited on hold for 1/2 an hour and then decided I was DONE. No one ever got back to me. I still don’t know whether or how I will get my $426 refunded to me.

Original review: July 29, 2021

So my 1 day trip to LA started great. 270 for flight, hotel. Can't beat that. Long story short. The virtual assistant canceled the wrong thing (hotel) instead of flight. Take flight and gets canceled. I drive to la after rebooking my hotel at the same hotel after being told by Orbitz that I needed to do so to get refund. So paid twice for 1 night. Spoken to 5 different representatives. Got hung up on 3 times. And waited on the phone for 4-5 hrs total to speak to someone about it. Mind you no refund yet. Now it's my responsibility to speak to hotel to get refund. The whole reservation through Orbitz was canceled. They won't let me speak to manager. Customer service sucks!! You are lied to, ignored, hung up on, they treat you like you're the problem. Just rude. Still no resolution. I was ripped off. I won't use orbitz again.

Orbitz Company Information