3.6/5 (1080 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: June 24, 2021

I’ve used Orbitz for years and always had a great experience until this one. After this, I will never again use them. I booked a family vacation months in advance. I started getting weird text messages stating I needed to click a link to accept a change to my travel. It had my daughters name as the contact so I knew it was fraud. Plus, I figured I would receive an email should there be any legitimate issues. I finally called customer service just to double check. It took several days to finally get through as each wait was hours long and I had to eventually hang up.

I left my number for a callback but never received one. When I did get through after a 3 hour hold one night, the gentleman on the phone was extremely rude and threatening. He said I needed to click the link immediately or he was cancelling my trip. I told him I wasn’t comfortable clicking a link to accept changes without seeing the changes first. He laughed and said that’s fine then I’ll cancel it. We went around on the phone for 2 hours. I asked for a supervisor and he told me everyone in their company is equal and there are no bosses (which I know is bs). He also offered to put me back in the cue to wait another few hours to talk to someone else who would tell me the same thing.

At the end I had to click a link despite my better judgment to avoid cancelling a trip on my kids. It was changed from a direct flight to one with several stops and I lost the money for the seats I had upgraded to and had to start over. I lost hundreds of dollars and would have been a few hour flight turned into daylong travel. It was an awful experience and the customer service was horrendous. I’ve never been treated more rudely. Avoid them at all costs. I’ve read other reviews stating similar experiences where the service used to be good but is now the worst.

Original review: June 18, 2021

What a horrible site!!!! They get you in the middle of your trip confirmation with a message saying Prices have changed... Please book again". Then they charge you twice when you do the booking again.. You call them saying "Hey.. there has been a mistake!" They tell you to wait a couple of days and charges will be reversed only to tell you when you call them after that period that oh "This is not our problem.... Please call your bank." Knowing very well that the transactions were made on their site using their software yet having no problems telling their customers to go somewhere else to get their refunds. Horrible scam!! And a waste of consumer time and money. Stay Away!!

Original review: June 17, 2021

My credit card company says they have 7 charges from Orbitz BUT ORBITZ says the payment is not going through AND TO TRY AGAIN!!!! The customer service line only connects you by an itinerary number, but since my trip did not go through I never received an itinerary. After 'chatting' with a robot they gave me a disconnected number to call. Finally, I was given a number to speak with a human and waited on hold for over 45 minutes. The issue is still not resolved.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I booked a car rental with them but because I have an account I failed to change the name in the booking. The car was for my wife but my name appeared on the booking. Now, I understand it is nonrefundable but there are mistakes. I was not asking for a refund but simply a way to add my wife as a driver. it took me two weeks to get to talk to someone. First, they told me that it should be The Dollar rental to make the change. I contacted Dollar and they said they can't even access the booking and neither can I. So first they lied to me and then they said, there is nothing we can do. I was forced to book another car so $ 500 was gone. I understand that Orbitz made $500 out of thin air but they will never get my business again and I will try to convince as many people as possible to stay away from them.

Original review: June 15, 2021

We booked flights in April 2020. Covid cancellation using United airlines. Got flight credits from United. Kicker is must use Orbitz to use the United flight credits for different flights. I used the Orbitz "call back in 3 hours". Never got a call back. Today I am using the waiting for next agent to pickup call. Was told would be 1 hour. I waited and after 40 minutes, phone went to circuit busy!! GRRR. I am in the one hour wait queue again, got my fingers crossed. I will not use Orbitz again.

Original review: June 13, 2021

The WORST!! Expedia owns Orbitz as of May 2021 and I want to say that I’ve never had such terrible customer service and a ruined vacation because of these **. Their customer service is overseas and they are terrible! They won’t let you talk to a manager. They will not call you back when say they will. They will not refund. Instead of enjoying my vacation with my family I spent hours on the phone and never even got the help I needed or the product I booked and paid for with them, and instead had to just pay (again) one of their competitors for the services I needed. I will tell everyone I know to never use Orbitz (or Expedia).

Original review: June 7, 2021

I called several times about a flight I cancelled, but it showed in their end as me not cancelling. I called several times, each with a different kind of crappy service. I have talked to 8 different people concerning this issue and have been hung up on 3 times. Tell me how this is acceptable?! After this I’m deleting Orbitz and Expedia (I just found out they are the same company) and will NEVER use them again! This has been a nightmare!

Original review: May 27, 2021

There has not been a worse experience than booking a flight on Orbitz. Customer service does not exist. They have not refunded my ticket money even after the flight was canceled by airline due to Covid situation. Despite repeated follow ups there has been no response and every time a customer care call got connected after hours of wait, they would disconnect the call without resolving my issue and then never call back. They should not be in service industry and their license should be revoked.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I recently received an email saying that my flight was cancelled. Since their website, and the airlines, didn't reflect a flight cancellation I tried contacting them.

1. I tried contacting by chat, but was told "Chat agents are unavailable".

2. I tried calling, and their system said the wait was 4 hours!

This is unacceptable customer service, and possibly the worst I have encountered.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I used Orbitz to book a hotel at, "HomeTowne Studios" Irving Texas. Got there all the rooms offered to me were filthy and beds unmade. Did not stay at the hotel and requested a refund from Hometowne studios. Hometowne studios agreed to refund my money. I notified Orbitz that same night that I would not be staying at Hometowne studios and they agreed to refund my money. Orbitz has not refunded my money. That was five months ago. I have called Orbitz several times requesting my refund; only to be given the run around. I will never use Orbitz again.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Don't buy anything via Orbitz! They charged me twice and when I complained, they said that I will receive the money back in a couple of weeks. When that didn't happened and I complained again, they said they are not responsible and they can't do anything and I had to file a claim directly with the airline... And that they "just" advertise travels, but they don't respond for anything related to them. Those are the textual words from the Orbitz's agent who talked to me. So do not trust in this site!

Original review: May 2, 2021

Did not follow through on getting my airfare refunded last year on Air Tahit Nui, and now that the 12 month credit is close to being up, the email address I had is no longer valid and the Itinerary number they gave me is longer valid. I have tried numerous numbers, chat and emails and a week later and HOURS on hold they still have not responded. Finally got through to the airline and they said the only company that could refund or push my credit out on my ticket was Orbitz. I will continue to seek my reimbursement if it means contacting the FTC or whatever it takes, this company is fraudulent and should not be allowed to do business in the USA or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Terrible. After booking all-inclusive package, I've received a refund for flights, and still waiting for approved hotel refund. Every call takes 2h. Spent 20h on the phone without resolution. STAY AWAY.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Hi. I booked an international flight on Orbitz.com from Islamabad, Pakistan to Omaha, Nebraska USA. The trip was supposed to last for 6 days only but upon reaching the US, I received an email from the NHS in the UK that I may have been exposed to someone who was Covid 19 Positive during my flight on British Airways from Islamabad to London and asked to quarantine. First, I tried to change my flight from my Orbitz.com account as they mention on their 'support' page that flight changes can easily be done through their website. That is a blatant lie. They just redirect you. Call them if you want to change a flight. This could only be true in case an international ticket, since I have no experience booking with them within the US. Then I tried chatting with them, but no agents were available for chatting and the virtual agent told me that my Itinerary can't be changed.

Distort and disturbed, I tried calling them. I got connected to an agent after 4 hours on hold who told me that I'd have to pay $1000 fare difference which was quite surprising since I had already checked the flight prices on their own website and the ticket I bought was going for $876.00 as opposed to the $1135 that I had paid. While in discussions, I got disconnected. I had to call again and had to hold for 4 hours. After 4 hours, I got connected to another agent, who told me that my flight can't be changed because there are no flights available. I told him that Orbitz.com is giving options on 2 flight plans, on a price point less than mine. So he asked if he could put me on hold for a minute while he searched for it. One minute after I was put on hold, the phone was disconnected (most probably deliberately).

This was my first experience with a travel website. Usually I buy direct from the airlines, and orbitz.com has been my worst experience. They will not respond to your queries, they don't have a contact email, their chat is only a bot that doesn't have most answers and their phone waiting line is a minimum of 4 hours. Spend your money elsewhere please, even if it's a little expensive.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I had remaining credits of 550.00 per flight, which total 1, 100.00 USD with Orbitz from a canceled flight in May 2020. We wanted to use those credits for a new flight for Dec. 1st 2021 from ONT to Paris. The total for each flight was 723.00 including taxes. For a total of 1,446.00. After waiting on the phone with Orbitz for 1 hour and 15 minutes agent on the phone told me that "my tickets are listed as inactive." We cannot book the new flight for you because American Airlines has taken control and they are the only ones that can proceed with any changes or booking a new flight". This is what they described and in addition put me on hold, verifying with American Airlines that I had to call them directly to verify myself and proceed with changes. Ok, so I did.

I called American Airlines (after waiting for 42 minutes to speak to someone) asking for help in booking my new flight which I knew I was going to pay the difference. After finding the flight I was given the total of 1, 446.00, the AA agent told me there is a 50.00 per ticket for a total of 100.00 if we proceed and handle the actual booking, because we are now taking over the flight from a third party, Orbitz. At this point, already extremely frustrated because I should have been told this by both the Orbitz agent and the AA agent when I called Orbitz and they were apparently speaking to each other. The AA agent proceeded to say "Orbitz should be able to handle this transaction easily. The flight is NOT showing as inactive, it shows active and they can do the exact same thing we can do… And if they handle it, there is no 50.00 per ticket fee". Without much choice that is what I did next.

I called Orbitz (waited 53 minutes to speak to someone) and repeated the entire story again to ALMAR or HALMAR. I told him what AA had told me and he placed me on hold for 10 minutes. He came back and said "I still see the tickets as inactive. I need to call the airline to get this removed." I asked him to NOT put me on hold and I wanted to hear everything. The AA agent kept telling him "it's your system issue, you need to ask for help," while the Orbitz agent said "you need to release the ticket back to us." Finally he said, "I will call my help desk for help, thank you." AA agent hung up. ALMAR kept placing me on hold as he was trying several things and having system issues that were still not letting book the new flight.

After trying for another 15 minutes the ALMAR came back and said, "Ok I am finally able to process the transaction and have the new flight ready to be booked. I need your card number, exp code, security etc etc." I said, "Great, what is the new total…" It should be 1446.00 so I should only be paying the difference which should be about 346.00. He said "hold on let me check the system and get that total for you." He came back with a 445.00 total and I asked, "Why? Why is there a 100.00 more difference that you are asking for now? I have the new tickets at 723.00 each per person. The difference shouldn't be 445.00."

He kept insisting that the total was taking into account "new taxes" and the "new taxes were part of the increase and the price that American Airlines has currently on the flight." I asked to see a detailed amount and he said "the new taxes will be broken down in an email confirmation" So I agreed and said fine. At this point I had spent from 915AM PST and it was already 1250PM and I needed this over with.

After several minutes of hanging up I finally got the total for the new airline. But I also got a separate receipt for a charge of 100.00 that was processed separately! I then called AA to see what the charge was this morning April 14th, and they told me this is the 50.00 handling fee that people get when they buy through a 3rd party and they have to handle the changes. THIS IS EXACTLY what I avoided from the beginning and had called Orbitz to deal with this. AA agent said that I had made the call yesterday or at least that what things looked like, to authorize and ok the new flight plus this charge. And That they couldn't do anything and I would need to file a complaint with Customer Relations with American Airlines

It turns out that one of the times I was on hold with Orbitz in my last call, ALMAR reached out to AA asking them to process the transaction because he was obviously too incompetent and no clue understanding of their systems. He did not tell me any of this was going on and only said it was his help desk helping him and he was processing the card on their end. It was a lie and American Airlines was helping and processed my card, with this fee. I was tricked and now stuck with this 100.00 service fee that I wanted to avoid and never authorized. These people need to be in Jail.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Orbitz provides low prices for many services including hotels. I was happy with my booking but decided I wanted to shorten it from 4 nights to 3 well in advance of their advertised deadline for making changes without penalty. Unfortunately the link to make changes from their e-mail didn't work. Their chat robot ate up some time and then said to call them. The phone number wouldn't accept my input at first and wouldn't get me connected with a person. Eventually it said the hold time was longer than 15 minutes and they could do a callback, which I was grateful for. Unfortunately the call back happened 8 hours later at 4:30 in the morning. NOW I'm well past the deadline for making changes and I have yet to reach someone.

Original review: April 11, 2021

When our flight was cancelled at the last minute, requiring us to leave 12 hours later on a red eye with two layovers Orbitz did nothing to help find a better flight. They also did not refund a penny.

Original review: April 10, 2021

Package was never delivered. Orbitz acted as middleman. UPS authorized insurance payment for the loss, but Orbit Logistic failed to respond, so I lost package and insurance. I called and emailed multiple times. I even contacted the President/CEO, Mr. Clemons: NADA. What can I say...

Original review: April 9, 2021

A company that will take and keep your money, reschedule due to Covid and not assist in rescheduling with the airline associated with their website does not hold themselves accountable. Will not use this company in the future.

Original review: April 5, 2021

When I booked the flight through Orbitz to MSP and asked for a hotel they only gave hotels in downtown Minneapolis. After booking I found that they had no parking and that I would need a train to get into the city and then to walk to the hotel that night. I was arriving on a late flight and this was unacceptable. I tried to call the hotel to change to one closer to the airport with a shuttle but was on hold for more than an hour before someone answered and said that they could not change it but that I would have to call Orbitz. I was on hold with Orbitz for almost as long and they said that they could not change it. I had to book a different hotel near MSP. I will never use Orbitz again or book with Embassy Suits again.

Original review: April 4, 2021

Booked thru Orbitz. American Airline canceled direct flight home, halfway through trip, and rebooked with awful option. Called Orbitz, they suggested I cancel and purchase a different flight at a last minute premium price. I refused and they said they would call american and see if I could get a reasonable replacement flight. They never called, American Airlines confirmed this and gave me a better option , no charge. Orbitz hung up on me, lied to me, and compromised my health offering a layover of 50 minutes to clear immigration, customs and TSA. When I absolutely would not have booked if I knew I needed to layover at all. Trying to charge me hundreds extra midway through foreign country trip, even though I was not the one that cancelled anything... American Airlines sucks as well...

Original review: March 18, 2021

As others have stated here I had a Covid cancellation and was told my current acct number would be my receipt for ticket credit as long as it was used before 12/2021. I called to rebook the trip and was told I was a no show even though I called Orbitz and cancelled- now they say I have to pay $400 to reinstate. I was not a no show- we called 1 month before the trip and cancelled while on line with their customer service.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I'm so unhappy about Orbitz's policy when using airline credit to rebook flights. I had to buy a more expensive one way ticket than was listed on the website, because I was using my credit (which was from a covid related cancellation last year). I had to pay an extra $300 for my family's flights, on top of using my $750 credit, but the online flight total for the same flights was actually less. I was told when I cancelled that this would be a no hassle process. It's crazy that I couldn't use my credit towards the flights listed online. I will NEVER use Orbitz again!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Spend two hours trying to get them to charge me for the room they confirmed with the hotel that we actually received instead of the upgrade we booked. They made us wait and get a callback from a “supervisor” who offered a better coupon to let the fraudulent charge stand. They lost a loyal customer over a small money refund, but I won’t do business with a company that treats customers that poorly.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

In 2019 I reserved cabins for a week in Scotland & purchased insurance. Covid happened & Orbitz canceled my reservation in March 2020. They said within 30 days I’d get a $610.00 credit. I’ve filed for it 4 times now, they even said it was put in as very important etc. Never got it. $610.00 is a lot of money and it poofed. Orbitz are crooks.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Book with the airlines after you’ve looked at any travel website and they will match the price. I have travelled extensively and I have never dealt with a bunch of more incompetent, apathetic, not responsible, not accountable “Customer Service” people in my life. Orbitz booked a flight that didn’t exist and refused to do anything about it after 5 agent and 3 hours on the phone stuck in LaGuardia airport. Orbitz offered to pay part of a Hillel. I was left with no choice but to stay at the airport where the TSA kicked me out into 36° weather. Thanks Orbitz.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Well I booked a flight to PHX through Orbitz and it booked 2 different airlines for round trip. First airline cancelled my flight and the second orbitz refuses to refund even though I didn't cancel the first flight. So I called the airline and they say orbitz can refund the money but they refuse to do so. Thanks orbitz. I will never ever refer you to anyone and will recommend that no one ever use orbitz! They don't care that you lose money! You would think that due to this whole COVID situation they'd want to take care of their customers but I guess not!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

The experience with Orbitz is absolutely disgusting and quite frankly laughable HOW they are still in business. They have price guarantee?! Price on airfare went significantly down on orbitz and I sent them a form with all information and screenshot required to reimburse me the difference. They responded saying I should’ve done it within 24 hrs...which I actually did (within exactly 18 hrs). Their next response was “required information was missing”...which it obviously wasn’t (I sent it). Their next step is to ignore my emails because they can’t come up with any more excuses why they can’t satisfy price guarantee clearly posted on their website. In my opinion, Orbitz is a joke and has to be avoided at all costs. Spend your money anywhere else really besides on their website!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

They will not let you write a review on their website because it would be -40.00 instead of 4.0. I have used Orbitz for years, I am one of their "Gold Customers" and they do not care about their customers. They canceled one of my flights but will not give me a refund on my other two flights because of their "policy". I did not chose to cancel them, they did, and it has been over three weeks and hours and hours on hold and they still wont give me my refund. They keep on saying they will call me and email me and still nothing, I am going on the 4th week now.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Made reservations five months in advance at The Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs as it sells out fast. Paid for the suite which was over $300 per night. Drove over 5 hours to get there, and checked in. Our room was a $150 room that was not what we paid for. Went to the front desk who said they'd gladly give us a suite considering we paid for a suite but they've been booked up for months. We would have to call Orbitz. They verified that the room we got was a $150 room but Orbitz charged us double. On the phone with them for over two hours. They absolutely took no responsibility. Said we booked what we booked, even tho the front desk said our room was not a suite nor was it $300 per night. So we paid Orbitz double for a room at the Crescent Hotel when we could have just booked it on the hotel's website for half the price.. If we were just wanting a regular room. What a scam! Please do not use this company!!

Orbitz Company Information