1.81/5

802 Marriott Hotels Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

Check in was swift. Check out swift. No Delays or hesitations and accurate. Emailed receipt 10 mins after left hotel. I am ongoing patient at the Best Johns Hopkins hospital for transplant clinical trial. Hotel is A+++ location, food, l free breakfast great, accommodations, staff etc. WOULDN'T STAY ANYWHERE ELSE BUT RESIDENCE INN. 1 Single Comment is about room air conditioning. Vent is too large for room & should be adjustable for outgoing air so doesn't blow directly at bed although temperature can be adjusted. Medication must be kept cool so it's a no win situation from this aspect. An adjustable air vent would suffice. Starbucks block away. 7-Eleven across street, restaurant in hotel top floor, room attendants are friendly & very very good at making sure room is clean. Kitchen 100% great. Everything you may need is in the hotel or nearby.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I reserved a room at the Marriott Courtyard, Saint Louis Park, February 14th, 2019. The first thing that grasped my attention was how helpful the staff was. They were immediately willing to guide me where I needed to be. But, more than that, through clear instruction, able to get me there. As, I strolled through the lobby there was an extreme attraction to cleanliness, organization, and elegance. 3 different style seating areas; useful for your imagination to see fit. Satisfy your hunger, swiftly, with a quick snack or go just down the hall to the restaurant. Then, quick access to spacious, speedy, elevators.

Hallways on the way to room entrance large and clean. Magnetic key for quick and easy entrance. Now, inside a warm comfortable room, first thing to hit my eyes, a huge chair, w/ meal tray. I easily wanted the chair for my very own. I looked around and was trapped, I did not want to leave… Upon further exploration, nice comfortable bed, made properly. There were extras… Coffee Keurig, Refrigerator, iron w/ ironing board and hairdryer.

Then, I went into the bathroom. I never saw anything like it. The shower was bigger than a normal bathtub. There was a smooth sliding door. While in, there was a beautiful sound as the water danced against the unusually large stainless-steel drain. Towels and personals displayed in an extremely inviting fashion. These just a few of the outstanding features I found in a smaller affordable $150 room. The atmosphere was phenomenal! Thank you so much for a relaxing night…

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

After struggling with cancelled flights and other travel inconveniences for a couple of hours, it was a relief to be breezed thru reception with a friendly smile and a freshly made, warm cookie to tuck in with! Good water pressure in the shower and big, soft towels, a comfortable bed, and a clean coffee-maker (this is a thing people!) Helped make the room before my early morning shuttle arrived. I made my way to the lobby to fresh coffee and a copy of the NYT. Nice!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Here's the bottom line. I've read most of these reviews and would say some are legit and some are not. I've stay at Marriott for over 12 years and booked close to 700 nights. They of late have issues but overall they are the best Hotel chain out there. Sure there are nicer hotels out there but you'll pay a pretty penny, your choice. I wish we all could be fair, responsive and set our expectations accordingly. I am at a Marriott in Miami Airport, it's pretty bad here. Paper thin walls, kinda untrained front desk team, Doors slamming most of the night... But hey what do you want for 127.00 per night. It's an Airport hotel.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I recently visited the Fairfield Inn in Dubuque, IA. Since Dubuque is my husband’s hometown we try to get there often. Dubuque is a great place to hang out with friends and family, conveniently located in the tri state area. A very picturesque area full of historic places, hotel selections are numerous. So why the Fairfield? Amazing customer service. First, this is the only hotel in the Hilton and Marriott group that will tell you at check in that they are pleased to offer you an upgrade. I have to ask at every other hotel. They will go out of their way to put your party all together in conveniently located rooms. They know the area and best places to eat, and shop. Always great suggestions.

On my last visit I left some clothing articles in the room after vacating. They arrived at my house before I realized they were gone. That only happens at Dubuque Fairfield. All other forgotten items are gone. The rooms are always clean and everything works. The maids are all super and happy to do anything, get a wine glass, get a soda, water, etc. You can stay in more elaborate digs but won’t get the care and attention of the little hotel that could.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: July 16, 2019

Keeping it very short! My doctor verified that I was bitten by bed bugs at the IAH Marriott. Initially, the company apologized for the inconvenience and promised to take care of a Marriott family member but ended up deflecting and denying responsibility. They used 3rd party EcoLab that they have a contract with to perform the inspection and guess what, EcoLab said there were no bed bugs. I will never stay at this Marriott again!

Original review: July 11, 2019

I've always considered Marriott the worst hotels in the United States and their purchase a Starwood exponentially confirms what I've always known about Marriott. PROS: friendly staff. But poorly trained. Decent location, rooms were clean. CONS: shower took forever to get hot water, shower door did not shut and flooded the bathroom floor every time we took a shower, shockingly dead in the middle of summer, our air conditioner did not work in the hotel had no maintenance or no other options and move does to sleep in a room with two double beds instead of a king, shocking when you book a guaranteed room for a good night sleep and they don't give you what you paid for and you get a terrible night's sleep.

Told the front desk staff twice as Titanium Elite I wanted a late check-out, not once, including all morning do. They indicate I could not check out late and only called me 30 minutes prior at 1 to tell me I had to leave the room in 30 minutes. Hotel didn't even have either of the two duty managers on staff the morning we checked out in order to issue a complaint and ask for some type of refund or compensation. Not surprisingly, I'm finding it Marriott just gets worse and worse as time goes on and they've gutted and pillaged you start with frequent guest program, taking away enormously valuable benefits.

Original review: July 7, 2019

We have stayed at this hotel 3 other times and this time our experience was so poor we decided to leave just after checking in and never stay at this property again. We had to leave because the staff and the management were not competent at providing adequate service to guest. Here are the issues which management did not address them competently.

1) Uninhabitable Room: As soon as we opened the door to our room a huge an overwhelming wave of "** odor" was all we could smell, sadly we had our 5 year old with us.
2) Privacy Invasion: In attempt to remedy the situation, they assigned us another room after 25 minutes and promised to transfer our luggage, we showed up to our newly assigned room and that room had another guest already checked in along with all their belongings.

3) Lost luggage: They lost one of our luggage pieces while moving rooms.

This hotel property must realize that you can't offer adequate service when the hotel's employees are not performing their jobs and where management can't manage. This property is missing the mark on the most basic services a hotel provides. Guests expect Marriott would teach management how to manage, as well as their employees how to take care of their jobs. Good management and trained personnel are the most important factors in a service business.

Original review: July 4, 2019

From June 29th - July 3rd, I had the worst vacation experience in my life, while staying at Springhill Suites by Marriott Cincinnati Midtown. My reservation was made for June 28th-July 3rd. I was scheduled to arrive at 2:00 AM on June 29th. On the Marriott website I was asked to indicate my time of arrival. I selected 2:00AM from the drop down menu. To be sure, I also made a call to the hotel to ensure that my arrival time would not be a problem.

During my train ride on June 28th from NY to OH, I received an email asking me to download the Marriott Bonvoy app in order to check in. I did exactly that. At approximately 8:00 PM I placed a call to the hotel to remind them of my arrival time. The front desk person, whose name I was told was Pat, advised that someone would be there to check me in. Sadly, one station away from Cincinnati, the train was held for approximately one hour due to the demise of a passenger on board (so I heard). They had to wait for emergency personnel to arrive.

I arrived at the hotel at approximately 3:00AM. When I entered, I was greeted by Tyler, who proceeded to tell me that he canceled my room for that day because I was a no show. I was very upset by this. I reminded him about my call to the hotel. He advised me that no one told him anything. I also reminded him about my original reservations. He told me that was not in the system. I also asked him why I did not receive a call before he canceled my room. He advised there was no phone number attached to my reservation. I was made furious by this. I had to enter my phone number to make the reservations! I also tried to understand why Tyler only canceled one day and not all of my booking.

He claimed he was doing me a favor. Doing me a favor? Here I was, with my 12-year old child stranded 20 hours away from home with no place to go. What made things worse was that 98% of all the hotels in the area was completely booked out; I am assuming because of a Reds game. Tyler managed to get me in for one night at a hotel, which I rejected when I was initially making my reservations; it's also a Marriott brand. Tyler said they would take care of that bill.

I finally got a room the next day at the hotel I had my reservations- Springhill Suites by Marriott Midtown Cincinnati. Then the nightmare continued. I arrived to a very clean room, which was awesome. But, that was the last time my room was cleaned from June 29th- July 3rd. The trend was, each time I complained I would receive a bag loaded with water bottles and was also offered snacks. I am not sure if they believed that would solve the problem. I also discovered that each time I complained I would receive apologies, and I was told they would address the problem. But, they never addressed it. I believe what I am about to report is the worst I have ever experienced.

One of the cleaners (no one else has access to the room) left a filthy looking underwear (panty) by the sink. I was sick to my stomach! I think it was done deliberately because I complained. I have walked by rooms that they were supposedly cleaning, however, both women were sitting in the chairs, and they were both on their phones doing absolutely no cleaning! So, I gave up any hope of ever having my issues addressed. So, I decided to post to BBB and every social media I am attached to.

Finally, I do not wish for anyone from Marriott to write a scripted response to my comments. Please show me some respect and offer a proper heartfelt response. Also, refunding me my $688 would be a honorable thing to do. For my suffering, they refunded me $10 per day fee for parking! That's $40 for all the torture we put you through! Thanks Marriott!

Original review: July 3, 2019

Hotel has not invited me to complete a survey on the property (which has to be done to be able to post a review on Marriott website). Poor housekeeping (including recycling blankets between guests) and unavailable extra (clean) blankets for several days/weeks - and in Lincoln Nebraska where it can be very cold; not cleaning room four and a half hours post having been asked to clean room within the next couple of hours whilst I was out. Questionable maintenance.

Un-generosity at the hotel - early breakfast endings where some food items will be taken away early (I once saw this being done at 20 minutes before close). I believe there is a problem at the top for the hotel, not what I expect from a Marriott. I had an unfavorable experience with salesman near the start of my stay which seemed to be telling for the rest of my stay and shortcomings encountered.

Front desk person who will raise voice/yell at guests (I believe this comes from the top whereby, that a hotel/hospitality person would do this) when the hotel has made an error. No reach out from anyone including management to make the situation right, even simply apologizing. Unfavorable impression of s. Some positives - Helen (the hotel is lucky to have her), Yvonne (she has such a chill disposition and thoughtfulness and genuineness for the hospitality industry - exactly what I question about management). Hotel lucky to have her. Chad,

Original review: July 2, 2019

The facility is always clean, staff is friendly and the breakfast area is well kept with a nice selection of food and beverages. It sits back off the main road far enough that you don't hear the traffic and is located near restaurants and a shopping mall.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I regularly receive calls from telemarketers representing Marriott after REPEATEDLY asking to be placed on the DO NOT CALL LIST! I don't know if it's Marriott ignoring my requests or if these are third party folks, but it is getting VERY old, very very OLD!!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Customer service agents are rude and try to put you on long holds, pretending that they are "discussing the issues with their supervisor". They never have an answer, or own up to actual issues. And before you can speak, or ask a followup question, they hang up. This is very rude. I have been loyal to Marriott for years, and they are just not worth it.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have stayed at Marriott and they are fine but I have been getting robo calls thanking me for staying almost on a daily basis. I have selected option 2 to have them stop and I have blocked the number but I still get these calls. So before you book with these guys make sure you give them a bogus number so you don’t get stuck on a list somewhere.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I made the mistake of staying at a Marriott Hotel. The stay was fine. It’s the endless and ceaseless solicitations you get after staying there that is the problem. There is no way to get on their "do not call" list. This company ranks up there with DirecTV when it comes to ongoing harassment. I am shocked that this kind of solicitation is even legal. If you have another alternative in regards to a hotel, take it!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

Customer service is great service. Call them for refund and cancelled booking service. They provided best service by them. 24x7 service given by their executive. They are good person as natural as well as behaviour.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Hotel was beautiful and up to date. However, many issues on the service side that went unresolved. Lack of cleanliness was a big factor. My 2nd day went un-serviced, no one even emptied the trash. The room service was not up to par either (Placed 2 orders and items were missing). Concept was good but definitely a lack of management skills.

Original review: June 16, 2019

In May of 2019, I stayed at the Fairfield Inn, in Myrtle Beach, SC. As I was packing up to leave after 5 days, I notice my tablet was missing from the drawer where I kept in beneath my underwear... Yes they riffled through my underwear to steal my tablet. When I approached the staff, they were or seemed genuinely concerned at first. As time went by, and numerous text and emails between the district manager and customer care (support) (joke). It boiled down to, they wouldn't do anything for me and even started avoiding me. BEWARE THE FAIRFIELD INN, MYRTLE BEACH, SC OWNED AND OPERATED BY MARRIOTT.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Great breakfast with courteous staff. Room was very comfy but the pool lacked supervision and was over-crowded. It was located close to many good shopping stores and easy access to the highway. This Marriot was new and most rooms were booked.

Original review: June 14, 2019

My husband and I stayed at a Marriott Hotel in December 2018 - and were overcharged by $350. After contacting Customer Service they confirmed a refund was due, and could not explain what caused the overcharge. We have yet to receive they refund they claimed to be issuing. Each time over the past six months that I have reached out to the customer service dept, they claim a refund is in process and that a Supervisor will follow up with me within 24 hours to provide a more detailed timeline. They claimed the check would be issued in February and take 8-10 weeks mailing time. Still no check despite frequent calls to customer service. On my most recent call I said it must be escalated to a supervisor - I was put on an endless hold, and never got through to a supervisor. Will NEVER stay at a Marriott Hotel again, as this overcharge has been a mess, taking hours of time and energy trying to get the refund. Very frustrating!

Original review: June 13, 2019

The actual trip and hotel were nice; however, I paid in advance for my stay at the Residence Inn on the Canal in Indianapolis on June 7 and 8 of 2019. I was charged a second time for the night which was paid for and now they have had my money for 5 days. For the most part we have been given the run around about the whole ordeal with empty apologies and terrible customer service. I contacted April ** and she did send me info needed but never called to check and see if issues were resolved and told my wife well he never called back so she assumed it was taken care of. Now why should the customer have to continue to call, a call from them concerned if the issues were resolved is customer service not waiting for your customers to call you back complaining. If this is anyway way, shape, fashion or form customer service then I am dumbfounded by the lack of your concern for your customers.

I had a similar incident at the Drury Inn & Suites in Columbus Ohio and everything was resolved in 3 days and they were generous enough to compensate us without even asking, now that is customer service. A customer should not have to fight for money that was wrongfully charged at the hotel. So I would highly advise anyone who is thinking about staying at a Marriott affiliated hotel to seriously reconsider, the hotels are nice but their customer service is nothing short of a joke. Still waiting for my refund and waiting until tomorrow to hear from the general manager. Customer service at it worst once again proving that they could care less about their customers. If they were truly concerned you would call immediately not the next day.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Great hotel. Wish they did not charge extra for parking and just made part of room cost. Also the total cost was $100.00 more than bill I reviewed at end of stay. I will wait a week and credit card and see if they correct charges. If not I will have to call Marriot for adjustments. Kind of a pain. They should send us an adjusted after a week.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Awesome, professional. Stay relaxing, clean, close to everything. Sheraton Waterside district, awesome view, music, great restaurants, water ships. Dancing nightlife, sports, Ferris wheel ride, boat rides and cruises near downtown and across the river from Portsmouth VA.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have experienced an onslaught of telemarketing calls that say "Thank you for choosing Marriott Hotels." Because of this, Marriott is the LAST hotel that I will choose in the future! I can't stop the phone calls. I CAN stop staying with this hotel chain.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I arrived at the Fairfield Inn in Johnson City Tennessee to check in for the day. After the receptionist checked me in he then informed me that I had been charged for the previous day. I told him I made the reservation for the 8th, not the 7th. He said he would get the manager to fix the issue. When he came back with her she said she would have to charge me for the room because the hotel was booked on the 7th and I did not cancel the reservation. I told her how could I cancel it if I did not make it.

She said sorry. I said just cancel the room for tonight. She said, "I can't. You have to cancel within 48 hours". I called Marriott rewards told them my story. She said she was sorry and said she would credit back the night. She said I would see it in 3 to 5 days. Never happen. So today May 23rd I called back. Another lady said they could give me a gift card mail me a check. Then I get this email from the manager at the hotel.

((("Unfortunately without proper cancellation we would not be able to issue refund as the hotel was sold out on 5/7/2019, and we have no record of the cancellation. We turned away other guest as we were holding the room for your arrival. We did do a courtesy cancellation for today 5/8/2019 after you had already checked in. I apologize for the inconvenience of the situation, and if you have a valid cancellation number I will be happy to research the issue further for you.")))) Sincerely, Brandy ** GENERAL MANAGER. I stay at least 110 nights a year at Marriott. That will change after this.

Original review: May 23, 2019

ALERT. To all of, regardless of which airline you fly for, if you have a MARRIOTT rewards card and have established enough stays to reward you with either Platinum or Titanium. I’ve just gotten off the phone with Diane ** corporate liaison for Marriott and YOUR status as an airline crew member means nothing to them post the merger with Marriott and SPG. You’re carrying a worthless card. My friends, LOYALTY is a two way street. I am sad to be leaving a hotel chain that once rewarded us (Flight Attendants) for being loyal. *This includes Pilots*. From today on all future reservations cease! (Other than the ones that I can use my points for until they run out.) YOU have a choice, I highly recommend you use your choice with a chain reciprocates that loyalty. Marriott has with this policy change literally bitten off one of the hands that feeds it.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I arrived for check-in at the Residence Inn in Worcester MA. The front person asked my name and I stated: "The reservation is under my manger's name ...." The clerk then asked me to wait while she sought assistance. Shortly thereafter, her manager (Zeli) approached. I stated again the reservation was under my manager's name. That is when I told that she could not check me under another person's reservation. That is not the policy and she would not make any exceptions to it. That is when I stated I was a guest last week at this very same hotel under my manager's name and showed her my receipt.

Zeli's reaction was to state the employee from the previous week made a mistake and that employee will be reprimanded. Then re-stated I was not staying under another person's check-in. I then called my manager and he had a brief conversation with her with some choice words. Zeli's attitude and demeanor changed. She became calm and inviting and offered me water then proceeded to provide me with a room, with no further questions or issues. It is a shame I had to involve my manager in order to get some basic respect and courtesy. Keep in mind, never during the conversation did the hotel manager ever offer a kind word or helpful suggestion to resolve. It was simply, "You are not checking in under these circumstances."

Original review: May 19, 2019

My daughter is in Germany and her flight was canceled and they rescheduled her for 18 hours later. She needed a hotel so I contacted Marriott. I was able to book a room at the airport with some points (as I'm a member) and some money. I provided a credit card and they made the reservation under her name as well as mine and I received a confirmation. After this was all completed, they told me she cannot get the room unless I fill out a "third party authorization" form to which I explained I was unable to do so as I'm traveling myself and only have access to my phone. They insisted I needed to print out a form, sign in and fax it back to them. So now I needed a computer, printer and fax machine.

I told them I could e-mail them my approval and also verify on the phone but they said no. They said that most people do this in advance of a trip but as I explained this just happened and we can't control a flight being canceled. So now my daughter is in another country and has no hotel. Shame on you Marriott leaving a young girl in at an airport in another country where she does not speak the language and now has to sleep on the floor in the airport for 18 hours.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have been an executive in the hospitality industry for over thirty years. I have never seen a situation with bed bugs like what we are witnessing at Marriott properties currently. It has become known recently within the industry that Marriott has a severe bed bug problem, which they have put considerable effort into covering up. Many of us in the industry are offended by Marriott’s behavior, as it could make all of us look bad. I was sent this website for my input: https://squashmarriottbedbugs.com/. It’s still in development, but I recommend viewing what they have up there now. It’s quite informative and accurate.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Ever since Marriott took over SPG brand you can see the class of services has degraded! The website and what you can do is worse; I want to simply add my wife onto my reservation and I cannot. I called in and they said they added her to the notes but I do not see the notes on my reservation only Marriott sees it. You can tell everything has degraded significantly and the customer service staff exude a poor vibe. I used to think American Express & SPG were the best customer service and loyalty programs ever. Well, it is now just American Express and everything else a distant 10th with Marriott not even a mediocre choice. I am a platinum member and I must say, Marriott simply sucks!

Marriott expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

• Best for: Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs