2. Travel

Marriott Hotels

Marriott Hotels
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Marriott Hotels Reviews

Original review: July 2, 2019

The facility is always clean, staff is friendly and the breakfast area is well kept with a nice selection of food and beverages. It sits back off the main road far enough that you don't hear the traffic and is located near restaurants and a shopping mall.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Great breakfast with courteous staff. Room was very comfy but the pool lacked supervision and was over-crowded. It was located close to many good shopping stores and easy access to the highway. This Marriot was new and most rooms were booked.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Check in was swift. Check out swift. No Delays or hesitations and accurate. Emailed receipt 10 mins after left hotel. I am ongoing patient at the Best Johns Hopkins hospital for transplant clinical trial. Hotel is A+++ location, food, l free breakfast great, accommodations, staff etc. WOULDN'T STAY ANYWHERE ELSE BUT RESIDENCE INN. 1 Single Comment is about room air conditioning. Vent is too large for room & should be adjustable for outgoing air so doesn't blow directly at bed although temperature can be adjusted. Medication must be kept cool so it's a no win situation from this aspect. An adjustable air vent would suffice. Starbucks block away. 7-Eleven across street, restaurant in hotel top floor, room attendants are friendly & very very good at making sure room is clean. Kitchen 100% great. Everything you may need is in the hotel or nearby.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Great hotel. Wish they did not charge extra for parking and just made part of room cost. Also the total cost was $100.00 more than bill I reviewed at end of stay. I will wait a week and credit card and see if they correct charges. If not I will have to call Marriot for adjustments. Kind of a pain. They should send us an adjusted after a week.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I reserved a room at the Marriott Courtyard, Saint Louis Park, February 14th, 2019. The first thing that grasped my attention was how helpful the staff was. They were immediately willing to guide me where I needed to be. But, more than that, through clear instruction, able to get me there. As, I strolled through the lobby there was an extreme attraction to cleanliness, organization, and elegance. 3 different style seating areas; useful for your imagination to see fit. Satisfy your hunger, swiftly, with a quick snack or go just down the hall to the restaurant. Then, quick access to spacious, speedy, elevators.

Hallways on the way to room entrance large and clean. Magnetic key for quick and easy entrance. Now, inside a warm comfortable room, first thing to hit my eyes, a huge chair, w/ meal tray. I easily wanted the chair for my very own. I looked around and was trapped, I did not want to leave… Upon further exploration, nice comfortable bed, made properly. There were extras… Coffee Keurig, Refrigerator, iron w/ ironing board and hairdryer.

Then, I went into the bathroom. I never saw anything like it. The shower was bigger than a normal bathtub. There was a smooth sliding door. While in, there was a beautiful sound as the water danced against the unusually large stainless-steel drain. Towels and personals displayed in an extremely inviting fashion. These just a few of the outstanding features I found in a smaller affordable $150 room. The atmosphere was phenomenal! Thank you so much for a relaxing night…

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I slipped and fall at a Marriott chain hotel. The manager and handyman lied to cover up a broken pipe in the bathroom that caused me to fell and brake my back. I lost everything, because I couldnt work, and they didnt care. They just used the lies as their narrative to settle my lawsuit against them, in disregard of my physical and mental health. Im ill for the rest of my life and they dont care. Dont stay at Marriott's hotels if you want to be treated as a human being after you have an accident inside one of their hotels. Protect yourselves and your children because they will not.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I made a reservation 4 months ago for Aloft Minneapolis and had to cancel it because we couldn't find anyone to take care of grandma who has Alzheimer's. We were trying to give my mother-in-law a break since she is the sole caretaker. I canceled a week prior and they kept full payment on two rooms only to sell them to someone else. It should be criminal to collect two payments for the same room. Maybe a class-action suit. Their customer service was terrible.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

First, let me say that we have been Marriott Loyalty Members and Marriott Timeshare owners for 20 years or so. Tonight's experience with a Loyalty Representative was a first. Here is what happened. We went to the Bonvoy App to modify the dates of our stay but the page instead updated the rates TO DOUBLE THE RATE WE HAD and DID NOT EVEN CHANGE THE DATES. I immediately called Marriott Courtyard Reservations and explained the situation. The first Representative was helpful, understanding the issue but could not change the rate back nor change the dates so she connected me to the Loyalty Representative who she thought could help me.

He was HORRIBLE!!! He did not care about ANYTHING except to talk over and through me. I was so shocked. He claimed this was my error and that eventhough it made no sense to me to change a reservation to pay more, he said it was something that was done all the time to get more points. Well, obviously this wasn't our case but that didn't matter. He was rude and unhelpful. I had to cancel our Christmas trip because I couldn't pay double the rate. My husband and I are scheduled to listen to a Marriott Bonvoy presentation in April and were strongly considering expanding our membership. Absolutely not anymore. I know that our measly membership means nothing to Marriott but that's okay because we won't be expanding it due to this Representative. Marriott, you can do better. This looks bad on you.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Been a loyal platinum member for over a decade, but the last 1-2 years the customer service is getting worse and worse. When I try to call into the customer service line the wait is long without explanation. The rep doesn't seem to care at all about the caller and not knowledgable at all. You get transferred from rep to rep without any notes and ask you same questions over and over again. I would recommend avoiding this hotel chain and start with Hilton or Hyatt instead.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I went to Miami for a family emergency and checked into a hotel from which we had to check out of within 30 minutes because I had an allergic reaction to something in the room. (We requested a hypoallergenic room). The hotel had the concierge help us to relocate. My husband was also looking for another room on his phone while the concierge called others. Most were booked and then she found one close by. She explained the situation and put the reservations person on the phone with me. He identified himself and told me he had a room available for 1800.00 for the 2 night stay. After almost fainting, I told him we could not afford that and handed the phone back to the concierge. My husband found a room at another Marriott for a reasonable price and we booked it and were on our way.

When I returned home I checked my credit card statement for the release for the funds on the hotel we checked out of and found instead a charge of over 450.00 for a NO SHOW FEE to the hotel that I said NO to because we could not afford that. I called that hotel several times and emailed and finally after 5 calls to them and Marriott all I'm getting is, "We've filed a claim." Still waiting but after seeing all of these complaints and reviews I'm not sure if this will be resolved. I have notified my Credit card company and the are currently investigating the case. THE W Hotel Brickell Ave in Miami and the RESERVATIONS Department acted shady. I would never agree to stay at a hotel one, that I could not afford and two, we were not there for a LUXURY VACATION!! SHAME ON YOU MARRIOTT for taking advantage of our desperate situation.

Not sure about Marriott Hotels?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Marriott expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

• Best for: Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team