Marriott Hotels

Compare Hotel Brands

Research top Hotel Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I had to move my luggage using their cart and then bring it back to the ground floor. The room was dirty so they are planning to give us a new one. I have been staying in Marriott at various locations for the last 3 years as an Elite member and still the customer service that I got in Miami Downtown Marriott was the worst. It's not Marriott but it is a particular location of the brand and I would not recommend anyone to book this particular hotel.

We went Fairfield Inn & Suites in Hopewell, VA to attend my son's graduation at the Army Logistics University. There were four of us, so I booked a room with two beds. When we got in the room, I realized the beds were full size. I thought a hotel with the Marriott name would at least have queen size beds. The beds were lumpy, and uncomfortable. My daughter noticed right away how small the bathroom was. The next morning when she went in to get in the shower, the water was just trickling out of the shower, while most of it continued to come out of the bathtub faucet. I called the clerk and asked to speak to the manager. She informed me that the manager wasn't in. I told her the problems, and stated I would like to get refunded. She said, "I can tell you you ain't gettin' your money back." She went on to say that I could come down and get a key to another room to shower in.

Since we were in a time crunch with the four of us, I decided to take a bath in the tub, while my daughter, and two grandchildren showered in my son's room. I let the water run in the tub while I was brushing my teeth, and when I went to get in the water was ICE cold. Therefore, I had to take a birdbath, because there wasn't enough time for all of us to go to my son's room, because they had to use their bathroom as well.

After the graduation, the manager tried to argue that giving us a key to another room to shower in was adequate compensation. However, I beg to differ. How inconvenient is that to have to pack up your things, especially when you have small children! She finally agreed to take 20% off my bill. I felt like I should have been completely reimbursed for that room. I am an ex-army wife and have stayed in many hotels, and have never had that happen. They clean those bathrooms (I guess), so they should have known that the shower didn't work!! I am very disgusted that Marriott would attach their names to something as low rent as that hotel! I will be looking elsewhere next time!!

I have had a most unpleasant stay at this Marriott! I am well traveled and never had such a bad experience. First upon arrival I discovered there is a daily charge for parking that used to be free. There is no alternative but to use their parking because the hotel is literally on a highway. Management simply did not care and stated they started charging for parking because there is a new baseball stadium across the street. Basically they are price gauging and using the stadium as an excuse. Then I check my account there were excess charges. I called front desk and they tell me there is a $50.00 hold PER NIGHT. I stayed for 4 nights so a $200.00 hold that I had no prior knowledge of.

Then there is the gift shop $3 for a 16 ounce soda and 8 dollars for a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Needless to say I didn't make the purchase. Just giving an example of how inflated everything is at this location. The irony is the rooms are AVERAGE looking. These hidden fees and charges have totally ruined my stay. I literally feel like this Marriott just devise ways they can take money from people. Everything here is all about the money that they can siphon from you. So instead of me relaxing until check out time I'm up disgruntled and writing this review. Never ever never will I stay here again.

Pleasant, convenient, comfortable, very clean and treated well. Somewhat overpriced. Sitting there were newer hotels in the area and the parking situation is insufficient. The amenities and inclusions were average. The residence Inn in Naples, Florida is conveniently located on the Tamiami Trail, close to major arteries around the area and walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and attractions. The desk clerks were helpful, and housekeeping was on the spot. We will return.

Prepaid reservations 6 weeks before arrival at the Marriott Hotel in La Vista Nebraska USA. They sold the rooms from there. There was rude clerk and he said "you take what I got or leave". Did not try to fix anything or reduce already paid for three rooms two queens in each for family group. Room was passably clean but six people in two queen beds... We could have camped out for the crowded space rent 4 get 2 and then not all together. No breakfast and no extra towels and no trash liner, no refrigerator.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Courtyard Jersey City NJ -- I put my car in valet, it got ransacked. Stolen things from my car. Management couldn't really care too much. They were going to check the cameras. No locks got broken, or windows, so it had to be a inside job. I was there for a funeral. Just what I needed.

Atlanta Airport Marriott. I am a Platinum Elite Member! I have been staying at this hotel for more than 30 years...sadly...that is coming to an END! Always received the best of service at this hotel. I needed assistance with a larger or possibility corner room due to special circumstances. Front desk was "casual" at best upon my check in request. Room 1558 is newly renovated but does not allow room for extra luggage and hang-ups. I called down to front desk requesting assistance and was assured nothing available and would not be available to me. This Platinum card member misses the "old" ATL Airport Marriott and its helpful, friendly service. Thanks for "most" of the memories!!!

I had a nightmarish experience when security and management at Galleria Marriott erroneously assigned me to Swingers of Atlanta block of rooms then had me evicted and arrested by Cobb County police for refusing to participate in Swingers of Atlanta activities.

My fiance and I woke up covered in bites after a two-night stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Boston, Room 225, December 30 to January 1, 2017. We contacted the hotel to inform them and were told they'd pass the information along to their corporate office.

This is not a review on the hotel. This review is about Marriott Rewards. Stayed at a Marriott Autograph Collection hotel in Baton Rouge, La. They were just opening (mid-October 2016) and, in fact, we were guests even before the official opening. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was wonderful. Because it was my daughter's wedding, I booked several rooms, one of which was a suite. Marriott corporate personnel were on site as training was still being completed.

The Marriott corporate personnel training the front desk personnel even stated that since we were being so patient with them that they would add additional points to my rewards. After watching my rewards balance, I noticed that not even the reward points I should have earned were applied. I called the hotel and was told that I had to speak with Marriott Rewards. After going through several people, finally someone said if the hotel sent the folios showing that the stays were valid, they would credit my account. The folios were sent, but I still have yet to have the rewards applied. I sent emails afterwards to the contact with Marriott Rewards and they still did not respond. Ridiculous.

Called to make a reservation at the Marriott in St. Thomas. I was staying 1 night because I was transferring to St. John the next day. I requested the cheapest room possible. Representative convinced me to book an upgraded room because I could get a "special rate" if I joined Marriott Rewards. I accepted. The rep NEVER mentioned that the rate was contingent on 45,000 points. I was creating a NEW rewards account, how was I expected to amass points prior to my stay? I would NEVER have accepted the room. I never received a confirmation email, because the rep inputted my email incorrectly. I had my confirmation number, so I did not give it another thought. When I checked out, the room was not the $185 promised, it was $499. A total bait and switch. Bait the customer with a low rate and switch to a higher rate when they don't have the required points, which would be impossible for a new customer.

Recently made a reservation at the Marriott San Jose, CR. I am a platinum member and this was my fourth trip to CR. During the reservation process on the Marriott site Marriott offered to make my car reservation with Hertz at a substantial discount and would add a bonus to my account. Our flight was delayed out of Miami due to air traffic over Cuba due to the Castro funeral. We arrived in San Jose about 2 hours late. I contacted Hertz to pick us up and was told that since we were late they did not have to honor the reservation.

Needless to say we were in a bind and stuck without car in a foreign country. After a day we did manage to acquire a car at three times the price of our original reservation with Avis. At this point neither Marriott or I seatz will take any responsibility... and I am waiting for a response from Hertz. I think that this situation needs some attention and renters should be made aware of the problem before it ruins their well planned vacation. One had to wonder why there is no accountability in this matter. Thanks.

Stayed one night, was bitten, went to front desk. They changed my room and no problem in new room but hotel stated couldn't prove it happened there so would not comp a night. NOT ever staying at the Courtyard in Charleston. 2540 n mall drive just a bad experience. Even had to go to urgent care.

A very clean, up to date hotel. You walk through the hotel to check in and you feel like you are in paradise. It's so elegant. The concierge are always looking to help you. I would suggest this hotel for your future plans. Most amenities are included in this hotel. If you need extra towels or even dry cleaning service the hotel will offer this. As part of the amenities they do have wake up calls and newspaper service. I would rate the customer service a A. They go over and beyond to make you smile, make your day and give you a good feeling for staying in their hotel.

No issues with the cleaning - it was clean and well taken care of. Usually newer too which is nice. It is cleaned daily and makes it very nice. I enjoy everything they provide. The hotel usually has coffee, and all the perks needed to get moving on a daily basis and it would be great to the ones with the fitness centers. I enjoy a rewards program because it honors those of us who stay with the hotel over and over. Makes me want to stay more with this hotel. They are always nice and consistent with all they provide. I always enjoy staying there.

Very clean and neat staff. Very helpful with all of your needs and request. Turn down service was appreciated. Receptionist at check in was great. Wi-fi, breakfast, room service and laundry services with great pool, family-friendly, and close to major attractions. Staff there easily anticipated our needs. Rewards program is helpful for future trips. It also comes with major perks. I would highly recommend the rewards program to coworkers, families, and friends. The front desk staff, laundry and housekeeping staff attend to your every need. They make your stay special for business or leisure. I've always enjoyed the customer service there.

The bedding and towels were clean and fresh. The room was kept well. Clean floors. Clean furniture. The wall hangings were dusted and clean as well. I was provided with soaps, hair dryer basically just minimal amenities. I rarely use a sewing kit on my visits when provided but this one occasion I could have used one and was not provided one. I was not aware of a points program although I am a member of other hotel rewards programs. This particular stay is not a part of my rewards program. The employees were welcoming. I found them knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful with any questions I had about nearby restaurants and shopping.

The hotel was spotless had clean linens and clean towels. Also had coffee in room and a refrigerator for snacks. Had wake up service. I would highly recommend this hotel. The hotel had free cable tv, complimentary breakfast with a very big selection of fresh fruit, juice of different kinds and a big selection of food. Also had king or queen size beds, extra towels, shampoo, conditioner, free lotion. Also had hair dryer, ironing board and iron.

They have a reward program where if you stay more than one time through the year you will get a free night. Also you join a membership and you get some points off of your airline tickets and if it is your anniversary you get a free stay. You also get so much off of concert tickets and other adventures. Customer service was excellent. Anytime I called for a reservation I always got the best deals. You could call anytime in the middle of the night and someone was always on the phone to help you. They know where all the activities are going on in the town you are going to be in and where everything is located. Very helpful.

Very clean. Cleaning staff working constantly in rooms and common areas, also outside. Staff is nicely and clean dressed. Cafe and restaurants were perfectly clean. Everything needed is presented there, rooms are equipped well, common areas including cafe, restroom, restaurants also have very good and updated amenities. I didn't have/use any reward programs. I was not offered any rewards neither when booking the hotel staying nor upon arrival and check out. Customer service was OK, though most of the time there were long lines for check in/check out counters and concierge. The room phone service was good.

The place was clean and tidy, which was very important to me. Also, I didn't notice any visible trash anywhere since sometimes I notice that trash cans were not emptied out. I enjoyed the free amenities during my stay. WiFi was great and not slow. Gym was 24/hr so I got to work whenever I wanted as I needed flexibility. I got rewards for reserving a stay at the hotel to earn even more rewards. I also redeemed my rewards for an upgraded room so I got a nice view of the city I stayed in. Everyone was professional, knowledgeable, and kind during my stay. I didn't experience any issues with customer service as they were very accommodating.

Even though we only stayed one night it was very clean. The bathroom, the kitchen, mat, the floors, and the overall room it smelled clean and looked clean. Very good for our first stay. Everything we need was provided with a smile and very process to on the whole experience we were very pleased. The rewards program is awesome. We were able to use the reward whenever we wanted to and the size of the reward was well worth the stay. The staff at customer service provider was so great. They answered all of our questions. Very pleasant and friendly staff we must love the experience.

Very clean. You could have eaten off the floor. Staff was wonderful for all things I needed. Glasses and bed were spotless. Floors where dusted and beautiful. Bottled water and free services on tv. Nothing was anything but first class. I will definitely go again. Room service was quick and tasty. I didn't use any reward programs. They are a waste of time. I can afford to stay wherever I choice. Reward program are for cheap low class people. Very nice. Very professional and wonderful. They did everything I asked. I love this hotel. Great customer service.

It was very clean inside. The beds were made nicely and the carpets were freshly vacuumed. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were hung nicely. The toiletries were readily available for a shower. The hotel we stayed at had a gym onsite, which was very clean and smelled nice. The room had a TV with cable channels. The pool was amazing! A very nice size and there was also a jacuzzi which I got good use out of. My husband is a rewards member with them. We have gotten free rooms, nice upgrades and even been able to use their rewards on their website. We were able to get a free DSLR camera and a kitchen stand mixer with our points! The customer service is phenomenal. They go above and beyond to make sure their guests are happy and well taken care of. Phone calls to the front desk are handled promptly and with a wonderful, cheerful attitude!

It was a great hotel to stay at and the cleaning crew went out of their way to make sure our accommodations were tidy and neat. I would use this hotel service again. They were sufficient amenities. They were easy to use and easy to find when needed. I would recommend this hotel based on the amenities. The customer service was very good at the hotel. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Anytime we needed anything they were very accommodating.

It was very clean. The sheets were tidy. I requested more towels and I received them within mins. The beds were nice. Garbage was changed everyday. They had a pool, laundry facilities. They also had a hot tub. They also had a fitness center. They were very clean and always warm. I liked the pool the most. It was fun to swim and play in. The front desk staff were very helpful. They showed me where the elevators were. They brought a thing for my luggage. They gave fliers on all the things that were happening in the city.

It was dirty enough to tell that it hadn't been really cleaned. The bed seemed like it wasn't changed. The floor was filthy but it was very roomy as well. I enjoyed it. The bed was huge, the sitting chairs were very comfortable and the table was a nice decent size. The tv could use some upgrading though. The customer service was very nice. It seemed as though they really wanted to help and make sure all of our needs were met. I felt like they really cared.

It was well stocked and they cleaned every day. It was very nice. I loved my stay there. Everyone was so friendly. The housekeepers were very nice and professional. It had plenty of things I needed for my stay. The fridge was nice and had plenty of room. The tv was awesome. It had a desk so that I could do my work easily. It had chairs for me to sit in so I didnt have to sit in bed all day. It was very nice. It let me earn free nights and had complimentary breakfast and free wifi. It was pretty awesome. I loved my room for my trip. They were very friendly and answered any concerns I had in a fast manner. They brought me anything I needed so I could enjoy my stay and be happy.

Cleanliness across the brand and location - bathrooms are especially clean/well maintained during multiple overnight stays. Much cleaner than others I have used in the past - RED ROOF INNS/COMFORT INNS/MOTEL 6. Carpets are clean but worn, walls show no marks, curtains close completely. I have been a JW Marriott rewards member for 15 years. I use my points accumulated at basic hotels, when I visit Marriott Resorts - LIKE GRANDE DUNES IN NORTH MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA. Grande Dunes is a favorite destination of mine. Reservations are never screwed up. Fast/rapid check in/check out. Ones I stay at in Pittsburgh and Detroit always have the parking area plowed out after a snowstorm.

The room service was pretty great and thorough. I've had experiences in the past where a well rated hotel similar to this one would still be hiding mysterious stains or not-so-clean towels. Once I had bedbugs. But this was nice. The food quality could've been a bit better, but maybe I'm just picky. The TV program selection was pretty outdated, but then again, most hotels are. The room service was timely and the check in and check out processes were quick and to the point. I never had to wait in a long line, and the wake up call was right on time.

Nearly perfect. They did not cut corners. Large rooms with lots of things to be cleaned. It was more than a cursory cleaning. For example cleaning in back and under items. This is what you would expect from a resort hotel. They had several themed restaurants for example and had someone bring you around in a golf cart type buggy. In room had everything you would expect. Whatever we needed there was always a cheerful and immediate response to us. Everyone was also quite knowledgeable. I know of no area here where they could improve.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.
  • Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.
  • Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.
  • Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.
  • Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.
  • Best for Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

Compare Hotel Brands