Marriott Hotels
3.16/5
Based on 154 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Marriott Hotels

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 9, 2018

637 Marriott Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought a vacations package with Marriott Vacations in 2017 April. It is valid for an year. So I booked for 1 BR villa At Marriott Grande Vista, Orlando to stay from April 1 to 5, 2018 paying peak season tariff as well. But I got the call from Marriott Vacations and I was told that there was a mistake that rep who took my booking, booked a guest room so it is rebooked for 1BR but for April 4 to 8, 2018. When I told them it is not suitable for me, they said they can book me for April 1 to 5 at Marriott Cypress Harbour which is not comparable to Grande vista quality.

I waited for an year and booked well in advance. I suffered due to their mistake. They are not at all bothered about my pain and was not at all ready compensate me to ease my pain. Their business practices are very bad. It is not at all reliable. I have been a member of Marriott reservations for the past few years. Because of all this, I am planning to surrender my Chase Marriott credit card and would not go for Marriott vacations at any time.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We have experienced issues with a few of our Marriott stays over the last 6 months. We have experienced dirty rooms, discrimination for using a service animal (this is an entire story-don’t stay with Marriott if you use a service animal-PERIOD), rude service, and problems with our rewards accounts. After every incident I talked to either the front desk or called Marriott directly, and have had HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. They do nothing to resolve issues and are rude and unapologetic. Staff seems poorly trained and Marriott no longer seems to value customer happiness. We will no longer be Marriott customers because of these issues. I recommend Hilton hotels. Their customer service and hospitality is much better!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

We booked a room with The Marriott and were charged a fee in advance and when we tried to cancel 6 days prior to our lock in date they refused and won't refund us our money. The dates they are saying are not what we have on our paperwork in BOLD and every person from Marriott; Marriott Rewards, Marriott Customer Service and the Actual Marriot Hotel where the stay is can't refund us because they "don't have the authority". I have provided them with all the information and still they are blaming another company but the charge on my credit card that shouldn't have happened is from Marriott.

I find it interesting when someone says "we are keeping your money for the booking". I also was told yesterday that they were going to call me back. To not receive a phone call it would appear they are trying to push this off till after the actual cancellation date comes up. Very sad that this is what customer service is coming to. Please keep in mind I tried to cancel on 1/19/18 and my cancellation date is 1/25/18 per the documentation for a stay on 3/9/18. That's a lot of notice and I've been communicating with everyone since 1/19/18. @Marriott you should be ashamed of yourselves for misinforming people, allowing others to misinform and not returning your customer's money.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We arrived early at the Marriott Hotel in Budapest, Hungary & they stored our luggage and gave us access to the business center. They assisted with local dining, attractions and transportation to the airport after our stay. The room was spacious and comfortable. We had an early morning flight and they provided a sack breakfast to consume on the way to the airport.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Louisville downtown Marriott - Room was filthy, with candy wrappers on floor and hairs on shower wall. Took three trips to the front desk to get the room key carded correctly. Only one elevator worked. Walls were dirty, and elevator in garage area was disgusting. Upon leaving it took two days and three telephone calls to get an email receipt for staying there. I work at a Fairfield and this place needs their franchise tag pulled. It's not worthy of Marriott standards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Check in at Marriott Hotel in Valdosta, GA, USA was really smoother though the booking mechanism screwed up by booking one king bed instead of two queen beds. The receptionist helped in getting two king bed rooms at no extra cost. Also, the cleanliness of rooms is at peak. The breakfast in the morning has all types of healthy ones.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

When we first arrived, the lobby area was not initially visible and my husband had to locate a security guard in order to find out where we were supposed to check in. However, because of renovations, things will be in order soon. Location is good as the Pittsburgh, PA hotel is right smack in a residential area.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Rooms were very nice and clean at the Marriott in Baltimore, MD. The staff all had smiles on their faces from the doorman to the wait staff, etc. They were the most pleasant group of people. It rubbed off on the customers. I'm sure. We had a very enjoyable stay.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I felt like home with the Marriott Hotel in Baton Rouge, LA United States. Friendly staff, heated pool, a gym, no hassle when we needed fresh towels. The atmosphere was very clean and rooms are very roomy and nice.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Lincoln, NE - They were caring enough to save the items I left in my room, and see that I got them. We also had a problem with the heat, but they sent someone to fix it. And, we had a problem with our key, and they saw that the lock was serviced.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Hotel food in Burlington, MA is extraordinarily good; service excellent; ambiance serene. We've been going here for many years. Staff knows us well and always makes the effort to go the extra mile. They omit valet parking fees or send up wine for our anniversary. Property is near equally excellent restaurants (Venetian Night, Winchester) and only twenty minutes or so from Boston. A great weekend getaway place. Has beautiful garden, grounds and outside part of restaurant overlooking pool. Our favorite place when going north to Boston to visit friends.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

The staff at the Marriott Hotel in Ann Arbor Michigan was pleasant and helpful. It is a small hotel but very nice. It was centrally located and not far from the university. I will be staying there on my visits to my granddaughter, who will be starting her freshman year September the 5th.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Beautiful property with clean rooms and good service. Wonderful. The hotel is in keeping with Marriott standards. The room was very clean and modern. The employees were very helpful and attentive to their guests needs.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I really enjoyed it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were extremely comfortable and I wish I had one at home. I would recommend the Marriott hotel in Tallahassee FL to everyone.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Newark, NJ - We thought the room itself looked like it badly worn and needed remodeling. The shuttle between the airport and the hotel did not run often or on time. We had to walk across to a nearby hotel to catch their shuttle. Breakfast ended at 9:30 AM, which was odd and I actually was locked in the breakfast area while scrounging for leftover food (I chased the cart with the eggs and sausage). Also, my oldest son was offered any type of drug or liquor while paying for a pizza in the lobby. Naturally, he told me what transpired.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We are Marriott cardholders and booked a room with 2 double beds for SoHo in NYC for December 22-26th 2017 at the rate of $145 per night. The room could be canceled by Dec 19 with no penalties... Dec 20, 2 days we are to arrive, I received an email from Marriott at 3:42 PM stating that I didn't have enough points to pay for the stay and to call this 800 number. When I got home from work, I called and was on hold for 1 hour... spoke with several different people and no one could help me.

First of all I never intended to pay with points... I thought I was using my Marriott credit card. I finally got a man who called the hotel to find out they had no double rooms and that the rate was $289 per night. I was so stressed as this was our Christmas holiday, my husband was at a board meeting and I didn't know what to do. The man on the other end of the phone said the best they could do was give us one night for $285... big deal... double the price for 4 nights.

So I canceled the reservation, which they were very quick to accept stating no penalty even though it was after the date. I was devastated as we had friends coming in on different days to meet us and my 91 year old father was coming on Christmas day so everyone's plans were just a big giant mess. I wrote to BBB that night and didn't get a response until lunchtime on Friday... the GM, who had extremely poor grammar, offered us 20,000 points; however, that is only worth one half of a night in NYC.

Corporate is trying to say he offered us 180 per night but clearly that is not the case as there were two of us on speakerphone. They sold our room at the higher rate and just wanted to knock us out of the time frame because they were overbooked. In my opinion, that really sucks. I will never use a Marriott again... I will sleep on the street first.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We were in a dump at first up the street from the Marriott. We stop the Marriott in Baltimore, Maryland to stay there instead boy did we get an awesome room. The guest services was awesome. We will always stay at any Marriott's plus the sister hotels to the Marriott.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

The Sumter SC location was great, hotel had a modern feel. Housekeeping need to do a much better job at clean though. There were dirty glasses left in my room turned upside-down. You can tell it was not washed. Still there for 2 days.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I tried to get a lower rate when I arrived at the Marriott hotel in Greenville, SC and was told I could get a lower rate because I booked through a third party. I could not call the Inn because the only phone listed was a toll free number not a local number. Was told I would get an email copy of my bill at checkout but I never got an email.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Marriott Hotel Aberdeen, MD. Clean, convenient hotel fantastic for baseball fans. It has a Courtyard and Residence Inn attached but it's difficult to stay at the Courtyard and pay high amounts for breakfast/drinks when I could walk through a door to get free breakfast and happy hour apps. The hotel itself is very nice but I would prefer the amenities at the Residence.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We've been longtime customers of Marriott Hotel. My elderly parents were in town visiting and had stayed here before. We booked 11 nights and after the first night, my dad tripped over a parking stump in their low light parking lot after coming back in the early evening. He scraped up his head, hands, knees, legs and we reported to 3 bellmen and the PM supervisor. After a couple of voicemails to the mgr, no one responded or bothered to come check on him. On the 9th evening, the mgr asked us to file an incident report and said he would not do anything for us. He was not genuine and lacks empathy. It's common decency to check people who fall especially if it's a place of a business and you are a so-called manager. Seems like Manuel (manager) showed a lack of empathy and is not capable of leading or training his staff in this department. Horrible way to treat guests! Marriott should be ashamed and they should consider getting a real leader.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

The desk personnel at the Marriott Hotel in Traverse City, MI were friendly and looked me straight in the eyes. They asked what they could help us with and recommended a couple of places for dinner. They made us feel welcome and were sincere in their offers to help.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Marriott Hotel in Dulles airport was comfortable and clean. The restaurant had a nice variety of food and the service was good. It was my first solo night in any hotel and I felt safe and slept well.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Bell boys (men) were disrespectful and rude. They would not help with our vehicle or bags. The cleaning staff was very helpful and courteous and the Front Desk was 50/50.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Major bed bug problem that traumatized me in Marriot Hotel Winston Salem, NC, USA. I called corporate and they did nothing. They acted as if they could care less. No one followed up on me. No one tried to reach out to me and apologize let alone trying to restitute me for the loss of my belongings or at least something.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Baton Rouge, LA - exquisite, staff on point when you call, room 4.5 stars overall. The dining area- oooo! Try the Fatoush salad and quinoa, a salad that I was elated over. I asked for fresh Rosemary (I love this herb) and they got it for me!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

The best of this hotel in Manassas, Virginia is the accommodation itself. When you travel with family, this is like home far from home. Also the personnel is very helpful and try to make your stay better.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Stay was nice and would stay again when visiting the city of Baltimore, Maryland. Complimentary breakfast was good although I about missed it. But DID Think VALET was A LITTLE pricey.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Front desk in Houston Texas will tell you, your information is always keep safe. The rooms are beautiful, fresh, everything is in the right place. It's quiet, clean and has good food. Parking is very safe, good for the whole family. If you have a big family this is the place to stay.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Orlando, Florida - Safety was our concern, the parking area was well lit, security patrolled, anything we asked for was provided. We stayed in a suite with kitchen facilities, all appliances worked great. Had a good view from the balcony, property was close to all our sites and the desk provided maps, etc. It was great having morning coffee on the balcony.

Marriott expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

• Best for: Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.marriott.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use