Marriott Hotels

1.3/5 (40 reviews)

Overall Rating1.3 out of 5

About Marriott Hotels

Marriott Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?
Original review: May 21, 2023

Marriott’s reservations was second to none in the past. My husband and I have been members of Marriott for over 35 years and have always been impressed by their customer service in the reservations department. I just had the worst experience trying to book a reservation. Called the Hotel directly only to be transferred to an automated system. Tried to book online and would not let me complete as my Marriott rewards would not log in. Spoke to a reservationists after being prompted many times. The reservations representative used a speaker phone that had a terrible echo so almost impossible to understand. She would not take the speaker off so it took twice as long to make a reservation. Wow, what a way to provide the customer with a positive experience! Too bad!

Original review: May 18, 2023

Our family have been loyal Marriott Brand users for over 20 years. Since their purchase of Sheraton and following COVID, we have seen the quality of their product drastically decline. One reason to book a hotel in lieu of an Airbnb is the service they are supposed to provide. No more-room cleaning, if you even get it is at a minimum every other, or every 3 days. Properties without a functioning restaurant (even for breakfast). You are greeted by rude and untrained staff who could care less about the customer. Luckily we had accrued a large number of points during COVID and used them to book a wonderful hotel in Rome last year. We have a trip planned to Miami next year and I could not find one Marriott-branded property that was decent- even the ones that are charging over $600/night. We closed our Bonvoy card account - no wish to ever stay in a Marriott again.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2023

I made the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card when they have a promotion 5 free nights. It has to be used until August this year, and I planned my trip through it. I tried to check in at hotel, but the hotel said my reservation was canceled by Bonvoy team. I checked my email because I didn't get a call or text message about this because I had already received a pre-check in request from the hotel and completed it. Bonvoy team canceled my hotel reservation for no exact reason the day before I stayed and notified it by email. Because of that, I had no choice but to pay for the accommodation that day at the NYC hotel. I asked Bonvoy team for a refund with a protest email, but they didn't even answer.

Original review: April 6, 2023

Unsanitary conditions, First night of 2 night stay the toilet stopped up overflowing onto bathroom floor. We informed desk about this immediately with no resolution. Had to use towels to clean up unsanitary mess ourselves. The bathroom floor and towel mess was never cleaned up by hotel staff. (Ridiculous) Asked to speak with Management and got the runaround, Saying there was no manager on duty for the entire time we were there. Will never use this hotel again!

Original review: April 5, 2023

Marriott took away more than my 239,00 points that took me several years of building while staying in their hotels. When I went to make a booking, I found out that more than 239,000 points where suddenly scrapped off from my account a little bit over a month ago. I called customer service, the lady was very rude, and said that there is nothing she could do. Marriott claimed that they sent an e-mail notifying customers that their points will be expiring. I informed them that I never got this e-mail. I asked to speak to the manager.

I explained to the manager everything. She gave me a case number and told me that I will be receiving an e-mail. Two hours later, I got an e-mail from their case Resolution Manager stated in one line basically there is nothing she can do and my points are gone. There is no flexibility to help their customers and this is one of the worst loyalty programs you can sign up for. I will tell all my friends, co-workers, and everybody I encounter on my business trip about this experience and warn them from participating on this program. I will never stay in any of their properties ever again.

Original review: April 5, 2023

Experienced another Marriott deceptive practice. After experiencing how the chain processes their transactions against a customers card, one to which they deny but has been verified with my bank. They send an authorization request to your bank upon check in and instead of using that same authorization number to process the charges when you check out, they submit a second authorization request to your bank for the final charges. Resulting in duplicate amount of charges frozen on your account,( if using a debit/bank card) until your bank receives the charges to one if the two authorizations they gave to the hotel. Now, I have experienced the hotel moving my reservation which was booked in advance and charging me the rate of the day which was $800 more than the rate originally booked.

Original review: April 4, 2023

Marriott should be ashamed to put their name on this product. Just came back from a month where we stayed at four Marriott hotels and three (Nashville, Jacksonville, Louisville) were five of five star rooms I would be generous if I gave the Villages a ONE! All businesses need a cash cow but this should have been given to a Motel 6 years ago. The facilities were way too old and not refurbished, service/linens/cleanliness (I could go on forever) were very very subpar. After seeing Trip Advisor I obviously need to be much more careful using the Marriott product in the future. Shame on Marriott Management.

Original review: March 20, 2023

As a lifetime titanium member with over 2,700 nights at Marriott brands I am amazed that service, customer care and lack of attention to rooms amenities continue to worsen with each stay. I'm on the read 3-4 nights a week all year long, staying at various Marriott hotel brands and I'm amazed that I encounter so many problems. For example: at the Fairfield Inn Grand Rapids Airport Southeast, while trying to take a shower I learn that the liquid body soap dispenser is empty. So now I'm wet with no soap.

At this same location, my request to have my room cleaned after the 2nd night stay fell on deaf ears - they did not clean it. Another example is at the Springhill Suites Grand Rapids, Southeast, having a reservation and arriving to learn that only rooms on the first floor are available because there is a MAJOR renovation project on all floors, but the first floor.

To top it off, the construction crew is staying in 1/2 of the available rooms next to yours and they like to be VERY loud, repeatedly screaming at each other as they go down the hall for hours, frequent slamming of doors and playing a video game connected to a amplifier that is so load you actually are awakened by machine gun fire and then there is the construction workers who keep banging on your door (not knocking...banging) thinking that one of their friends is staying in your room. To top it off when you visit with the General Manager, he can't understand your concern... nor does he care! If Marriott treats a Lifetime Titanium member this way, how to they treat the occasional traveler? How do you say... Hello, Hilton, I need a room.

Original review: March 18, 2023

I have had multiple stays at Marriott in one year where the outsourced rewards program refused to acknowledge the earned rewards. One stay alone was for 14 days. The hotel requested twice with no luck. Their system did not acknowledge my rewards number. Another stay for 4 days in the same year they gave my rewards to another person, I got permission from that person to send them to me and Marriott still didn’t acknowledge. I travel all year but don’t have to stay. Gone are the good SPG DAYS.

Original review: March 18, 2023

Before points expiry, I used to get reminded with an email. This time no such luck and no interest in resolving the issue. It only happened a month ago and I would have bought points to extend expiry, however, now 100k points are gone. There is little flexibility to help their customers and this is unfortunately one of the worst loyalty programs you can sign up for. I am not sure how Marriott thinks I will react, but I can assure you that I will go out of my way to not stay at their hotels in future.

Marriott author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

Marriott Hotels Company Information