2.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

749 Marriott Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I applied for a Chase Marriott rewards Premier Plus card via marriott.com (where the offer was initially made) ** and then I was redirected to Chase on the 21st of December of 2018 (**). Application was processed and approved as per online application. It was then stated that I was going to received the card in about 7 business days. I now today 1/3/2019 access my account and noticed an annual fee was applied for $95 when the offer I applied for was for a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.00 after the first year has passed and a $200 credit after first purchase within 3 months from account opening.

I contacted Chase today to verify what is going on and the first agent mentioned the offer is not valid online via Chase at it seemed the site may have not updated it on their end and therefore being an old offer and the other answer was that they don't know what happened and that I was redirected to another site that wasn't offering the promotion. As a banker myself and working as well in compliance this is an unacceptable answer.

I spoke to the supervisor Karina and I mentioned to her my credit was ran therefore affecting me as an individual because it was ran for a useless purpose. She stated there is nothing she can do and cannot give the $200 credit offer nor reverse the $95.00 fee. It is upsetting that such a huge company could care less for their consumers and needless to say have consideration and accept the responsibility of their incompetent system if that is the case. I take this personal as I am a person with a good withstanding credit and I would have not applied if it wasn't because of the offer was there. To me this is false advertisement and misleading as once again I applied mainly to take advantage of the offer being made otherwise I would have not applied.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

On December 24 at 3:30 PM, I cancelled a reservation at AC Marriott and attempted to book Springhill Suites, a Marriott hotel closer to family. During the conversation with reservations, I was told the room rate was $87 and provided a full amount for our stay of **. The Marriott representative was having trouble with his computer, and I said that I could call back later. He thanked me. Later that evening, I called Marriott to book Springhill Suites. I was given a higher rate. I explained to the representative that I was provided a lower rate, but that rep said that he couldn't do anything about it. This is the price. We needed a place to stay, so I booked and figured that the cost would get sorted out. As Marriott claims on their website to honor the lowest rate... in this case, it was the lowest rate that Marriott provided me.

Upon return from our travels, I contacted Marriott. The response was initially great, the person I spoke with identified the need to escalate my call and that representative assured me that the matter would be resolved. Upon "escalation" of my call, the experience quickly went downhill. The representative in the "escalation" department replied to me... "you didn't call right back? You called a few hours later?" In a tone that was accusational. There was no indication during the first call that there was any immediacy in my call back. Upon my response, the rep disconnected the call. I called again. After all the robo prompts, I was connected to a rep. This rep wanted me to tell the story again. I asked to be connected to the escalated department. Got disconnected again.

Third call. Once I was connected to the escalation department... on hold for 26 min., I was connected to a rep. The call lasted over an hour, and was not resolved, nor was the situation understood. The customer service rep was defensive and rude. I am now awaiting a manager from the Springhill Suite location to call me to resolve. The issues at Marriott are concerning. The technology at Marriott is clearly not working adequately on any level. The customer service team is in dire need of training. I will update my review if the issue is resolved. Zero stars.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We attended an event Dec 14 at Westin Bayshore. We Valet parked our vehicle overnight in their lot. We picked the car up with damage. We honestly believe was done while being in the hands of the Valet. I spoke with the front desk manager, Alessandra. She was very rude, unhelpful and didn’t seem to care at all that our vehicle had been damaged on the hotel’s property. She had a really oh well not our fault, can’t help you and don’t care attitude & rudely directed us to handle the matter with West Park. Worst experience ever. We have been getting the runaround and still no resolution with West Park so I called back in and spoke with her again inquiring about video surveillance.

To my surprise she was no help and I had the same horrible experience with her, leaving the conversation more upset than when I called in. I would definitely not have such a rude and careless individual labelled as a manager in the hospitality industry, especially not the front desk. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone after my interaction with her and I would also highly suggest to make sure they do a before and after damage check with you like they are supposed to. I will file a formal complaint to the general manager Martin **. Though we didn’t rent a room there the night our car was valeted we did attend a large function in the hotel with several co-workers who did.

Previous to this incident our family members from out of town and ourselves have rented rooms at Westin Bayshore and are loyal to Marriot when we travel. We are soon to be married and have several family members coming into town. We have already suggested any hotel that is not related to Westin Bayshore - Marriot. We will no longer provide this hotel our business or recommendations anymore! I would hate for someone to have a repeat of my personal experience. Good experiences & service are very important to me! I take recommendations from personal experiences all the time and feel strongly about letting others know of not only good but bad experiences. With that being said - If you are looking for a nice hotel downtown with excellent service, beautiful views and friendly staff, I suggest Pacific Rim (little pricier) or Pan Pacific. Cheers!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We booked 3 days at Saint Hotel, Autograph Collection for an early birthday December 27 through December 29. We got a message the morning of the 27th from the airline saying our flight was canceled. We immediately contacted the hotel and we were informed that the full amount of the room for our 3 day stay was taken and there would be no refund. We booked on 12/21/18 and the money was withdrawn 12/22/18. So $371 GONE!!! No remorse, we spoke to a manager explaining our flight was cancelled. We weren’t even looking for a full refund. We inquired about a partial or even a credit. We got nothing. I’ve never been to this hotel and I was extremely excited and then extremely disappointed. I don’t know about anyone else but we just don’t have money to burn. They were not going to lose money on that room but they definitely made twice the amount. Big business just doesn’t care.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Stayed at Marriott on Falls (Niagara) for one night. When booking was told the check out was at 3PM but at hotel was told the check out was at 12 noon. The parking was ridiculously overpriced, 30 dollars per night, was also overcharged by their mistake 50 dollars instead, still waiting for my refund. The parking in other hotels was 10 dollars. The staff was quite rude. Paid extra for a view of waterfalls, could barely see them. Will never stay there again. Waste of money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Well for starters we had our little dog with us and did not see a sign were dogs were welcome so I went in to ask staff very nice and said, "Oh yes your dog will not be a problem. Would you like to be on the first floor by the back door exit." which made it nice and easy to take our dog out. So overall I would recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

After struggling with cancelled flights and other travel inconveniences for a couple of hours, it was a relief to be breezed thru reception with a friendly smile and a freshly made, warm cookie to tuck in with! Good water pressure in the shower and big, soft towels, a comfortable bed, and a clean coffee-maker (this is a thing people!) Helped make the room before my early morning shuttle arrived. I made my way to the lobby to fresh coffee and a copy of the NYT. Nice!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. The hotel was quiet and clean. It is close to major shopping - Target, Walmart, Whole Foods, Ross, and Marshalls. Buffet is ok, but there are many restaurant choices within two miles from hotel.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I am writing in regards to an payment issue had with Marriott Courtyard 1251 Hurffville Road, Deptford, NJ 08096. I stayed at this hotel often and didn’t have an issue until this date on October 15, 2018. I stayed at this hotel for a couple hours this day, I was checked in by front desk clerk ** between 7 pm-7:30 pm. Around 10:15 pm maybe a little later I checked out and I decided to pay cash instead of using my credit card in the amount of $145.00 which I handed to front desk clerk ** and I specifically asked if I pay cash my credit card would not be charged and he said yes it would not be charged.

On October 24, 2018 I noticed a credit card charged in the amount of 145.00 for the date of October 17, 2018. I called the hotel immediately. I spoke to the night auditor ** and he told me my card should not have been charged since I paid cash, he also told me he does the audit for payment and that he seen the cash payment for that day. I asked if he could submit a refund and he said he could not but he would talk to the Assistant Manager ** so he can have it rectified. A couple of days had gone by and I still did not receive a call from the assistant manager **, I called again I spoke to ** the front desk clerk she said he was not available so she sent me to his voicemail to leave a message.

A couple more days had gone by and still no call back from **. I went to the hotel. I spoke to ** directly. Explained the issue, he said he would look into it. He would need to check the money drop for that day and get back to me, and I asked him to print out my receipt for that day and he did. It’s now the second week of November and I still have not heard back from **. I called again. I spoke to ** again. He said he did inform ** and this should have been rectified by now, I asked if they could check the security cameras for this day and he said he was not sure but he would escalate the issue to the General Manager ** but he had to wait until he came in at 7:00 am and he would have him call me.

I received a call back from ** the night auditor and this time he was very rude, sarcastic, and expressed no concern. He told me that I did not pay cash. He also told me that I did not check out until 6:30 am and he was the clerk that actually checked me out. I explained what I seen on the receipt which was a different check-in and check-out time that he stated and also a different clerk. I explained that was false documentation and out of all the times I stayed at the hotel I never met ** face to face only had conversations over the phone. ** was very disrespectful, unapologetic and he told me there was nothing that could be done I just better take it up with Marriott customer service.

I requested to speak to the General manager and he hung up on me. I went to the hotel again and spoke to ** I explained the disrespectful conversation I had with ** and requested they look at the video surveillance for the day but instead he just issued me a refund. I went to the hotel again to reserve a room but was declined by the front desk clerk **. He stated I cannot stay at the hotel anymore since I cursed ** out and that was a request from the General Manager **. I did not curse ** out. I just disagreed with his information which was false, I am very upset and appalled by the behavior of the employees at this establishment I am a paying customer that was treated very badly.

General Manager ** never followed up with me or rectified the issue. I believe ** showed discrimination towards me. He was never friendly or welcoming. It's very disappointing and would avoid this location. They truly don’t care about their customers and for that I would not ever recommend this location to anyone. Such a shame because the hotel itself is beautiful and the other staff besides from ** and ** were wonderful. I will be sure to let all the media know how they handle customers.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Convenient location on Wisconsin Ave. with great shopping within walking distance, great staff, rooms have fridge and microwave, really clean, generously sized and attractive. Not luxury but definitely four star. Small restaurant with good food.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The Marriott was a great place to stay and included a free breakfast that actually had some healthy choices. Used the gym and pool also, the pool was small but everything was very clean and nice. There was even a small snack store in lobby.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I paid for a room on the Business Club floor which should have included free continental breakfast however because it was the weekend the club was not open.

The dining options were limited and expensive.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Found the Courtyard by Marriot in Boone, North Carolina to be very nice and modern. The bistro had limited hours which was very annoying, indoor pool is small as with most hotels... Room was very clean with no real view. Current design. Felt price was quiet high.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

It is a beautiful hotel. Overlooking the Mississippi River. Nice employees, good food and drinks. Old historic building. Valet parking and had to pay for parking. Ok area of town. Front desk employees were great. Bartender was ok. Not as friendly as I would like.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was not feeling special guest... where your staff treat me as Arab less than Europeans and Americans or even Asian in every aspect. Expecting better treatment on my next visit or stay because I am paying money for relax and being indulge. I do not think if I reserve through booking site I will be low class consumer!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Great coffee. Great bed. Great shower. Great temperature. Wonderful view. They accepted Euros. All other stuff was fantastic. Parking was wonderful. Valet parking.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

The New Orleans Marriott is overpriced for rooms that need updating badly, plus pay to park. Staff was very friendly but the restaurant we sat for several minutes before anyone waited on us! Not a very good experience.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I felt that it was way too expensive and it did not include breakfast! For $200.00 I should include breakfast! It was a beautiful room and hotel, I think that it should have more amenities. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Location of Ford's Colony was ideal, close to Colonial Williamsburg. Full kitchen, with all the amenities necessary, except the food. Stayed in a very roomy 2 bedroom. My stay was in October so a heated pool was appreciated. Hard to find a comfortable bed, but this resort had one. I recommend staying on top floor for the peacefully quiet atmosphere.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

The rooms were clean and of adequate size. The lounge area was nice and the seats were comfortable. The hotel also accepted animals which I think was cool, so that I know for next time I visit. Breakfast included would have been a nice addition.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Bad service, terrible place. Bad bad food. Not to mention they SPAM call constantly, you opt out of the calls and Marriott has a promotion and they don't stop calling!!! 5X a day every day. It was my mistake to trust this company. Any company that uses bullish marketing tactics is just a crappy one. Never again!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Bottom line. Getting charged for damages myself or my husband did not do or anyone associated with us. Stayed at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Wareham Buzzards Bay, in Wareham, Massachusetts. Very unfair and the hotel is refusing to refund us. They said it’s our responsibility because we were on the room, but when we left the room and checked out the room was in perfect condition and there were no “holes in the window screen” like they are accusing us of, or holes in the chair.

We were staying at the hotel for our wedding weekend... and mind you we lost power from the awful weather with heavy rains and hurricane winds and all while I was getting ready for OUR WEDDING, which I did not complain about. It’s all Mother Nature, nothing anyone could have done. But to wrongfully accuse us of cutting “perfect holes” in window screens is completely uncalled for.

I called three weeks ago and the lady at the front desk got loud with me and very rude. So I took it upon myself to go up higher than the hotel... since they refused to put a manager on the phone at the hotel. Talked to corporate and was told within 3-5 days we would get details. Never did. So today (three weeks later) called and was on the phone for 3 hours to find out the only one who could refund us is the GM of the hotel who we have yet to talk to. Keep getting told we would get a call from her and have not. And have yet to get the pictures they so call have of the damages “we did “ which we did not do. I have plenty of pictures of me getting ready for our wedding with no damages to the windows and they still are refusing to refund us.

I am so disappointed in the customer service (I have talked to some really nice people but they have no control over the matter). They are not helping us and this is defamation of character, all we want is for our names to be clean from this and refunded the money we were wrongfully charged. Very unfair. And will never stay at a Marriott or any hotel associated with it again. Definitely know all hotels are different and there are better Marriotts but this just puts a bad taste in my mouth. No one is helping us. Feel bad for putting a complaint in because I never do. But this is just wrong and getting the runaround with NO answers, just getting told we are not getting refunded for something we didn’t do.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

After 20 years of being a loyalty Marriott reward member I am switching to Hilton. I was charged for canceling my reservation within the 48 hour cancelation policy. After twenty years of consistently staying at Marriotts weekly for work, I was given no latitude. When I called customer relations I was on hold for 30 minutes. When I pointed this out to the gentleman there was no apology or respect shown. The Residence Inn has consistently over the past year, gone down. No coffee in the lobby. No extra blanket in the closets. The furniture in most of the hotels is worn and looking shabby. I am moving on to being a Hilton member.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Hotel offered 15k rewards points as a "sorry for the broken bed”. Although they comp’ed the room, points have not been posted yet (4 weeks) and no one from hotel will return my call. GM=Andy. OpMgr=Ed.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I am concerned about a deposit that was held from my card when I checked in at the Marriott City Centre hotel in Shanghai, China. The deposit has still not been refunded. I checked into the hotel on the 2nd of November 2018 and checked out on the 10th of November 2018. Until today I'm still waiting for that deposit to be refunded. The amount was 4000 RMB which is equivalent to R8743 South African Rands. This is really frustrating and I would like to know what I'm supposed to do now.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

The recent stay I had at the Residence Inn, Auburn, Maine. I first made this reservation on 4/27/2018 with Booking.com. It was for a room at the above Hotel for August 8-13, 2018. I assumed my rate would be the best for this time frame since I was booking 4 months in advance. However what I now believe is my rate was assessed considering the April time frame and in Maine this Hotel books heavily for Sugarloaf Mountain and the rooms would be much more expensive than end of season Maine in August.

During the check-in I gave my Marriott Rewards number to the General Manager who never said since I booked through Booking.com I wouldn’t get any points or credit for this 6 night stay. This is something that would have been a deal breaker on my first night. During our stay my son also booked a room, the same type, style and just down the hall from ours. He booked through Marriott and paid $696 for the same room that cost me $1236. His rates ran from a low of $156 to a high of $197 while mine was $289 and $369. Based on this I feel I was overcharged for the same room with no rewards or points being offered for my stay. I have written Their CEO, and he put me in touch with Cynthia ** and to date she has not been any help or assistance.

I wrote to American Express and disputed the amount I was charged and the only satisfaction I got from this was a statement on the back of one of the correspondence was that Booking.com received a commission of $199.54 for the overcharged stay based on the higher rate I paid. The commission was paid on the 4/27/2018 rate and not the rate my son paid for the same room. What reason would Booking.com have to get me a better rate and lose money on their own commission. My son and wife say I should give up but my morals tell me that as long as there are hotel chains like Hilton that offer the best price on your room the nights you stay not the costs you were told 4 months prior to staying means there is still hope for Marriott. Please do the right thing and REFUND me the $540.00 difference my son paid for the same room on the same dates and some points or free night for the 6 nights and the $1977.26 I spent on August 14th.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been a Marriott Reward member for many years. I have a very high reward member level designation and have spent many thousands of dollars in their hotel system. Recently, I received a call from Marriott letting me know that my honeymoon reservation, NEXT WEEK, has been canceled because Marriott decided to do a renovation on their Beaver Creek Resort and somebody forgot to schedule the fire marshal review.

The fire marshal has shut down the entire resort and my honeymoon has now been canceled. I called Marriott to find out what they were going to do to help me find another location. ZERO! They are doing absolutely positively not one thing to assist me and rescheduling of my honeymoon period Which is next week! I’ve had these reservations since November 2017 and Marriott is not willing to do anything to help me get this honeymoon rescheduled. They decided to merge their rewards system with Ritz Carlton and Westin back in August 2018 and nothing has been the same ever since. Marriott you are screwing up! Royally! Marriott. I. AM. DONE! Hilton. Here I come!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Here's the bottom line. I've read most of these reviews and would say some are legit and some are not. I've stay at Marriott for over 12 years and booked close to 700 nights. They of late have issues but overall they are the best Hotel chain out there. Sure there are nicer hotels out there but you'll pay a pretty penny, your choice. I wish we all could be fair, responsive and set our expectations accordingly. I am at a Marriott in Miami Airport, it's pretty bad here. Paper thin walls, kinda untrained front desk team, Doors slamming most of the night... But hey what do you want for 127.00 per night. It's an Airport hotel.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Booked a stay via Marriott website as a member. The site offered to get a "vacation package" by adding a flight. Sure, more rewards, right? Wrong. Redirected to "Marriott Vacations", added my flight and went on the trip. Researched my "missing rewards". After numerous calls, put on hold for over 30 minutes each time, sent emails and finally got a response. "Marriott Vacations" doesn't earn rewards. They are a different company. I am in total disbelief of such nonsense as they are now the biggest hotel chain out there as they have acquired Sheraton, Westin, Element, Ritz, and the list goes on.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Marriott claims that they have a look no further guarantee, but when I actually booked the exact same room for >30% cheaper and submitted a claim, I was told that they could not duplicate the booking and denied the claim. I sent proof of the booking including the lower price. I was charged the lower rate and showed the proof of the charge receipt and it still was denied. The Marriott Look No Further is something the company actually honors!

Marriott expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

• Best for: Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs