3.15/5
Based on 176 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

683 Marriott Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

The front desk staff at Mariott Clay NY was rude and condescending demanding to see a credit card for a prepaid room that I have used multiple times. Never been asked for one. Then he accused me of being rude and told me “he’d ask me to leave” when he was the one talking down to me like I was an idiot even though I had a confirmation number. Will never stay there again.

Original review: June 16, 2018

This pet friendly hotel lost my cat and blamed me for letting him out of the room myself (???). Called sheriff's department on me and issued a no trespass order for creating a disturbance. Escorted out by 4 officers. They found my pet 3 days later "in my room." Zero stars but could not post.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My Marriott Rewards showed 50,000 points on my Marriott Reward Account and then Marriott took them away after I provided them with a confirmation number showing my 50,000 reward point for my booked room. Marriott Reward Employees "Bob" and "Nick **" around 8:34 p.m. tonight at 1-800-450-4442 took the full hotel rate money out of my checking account in the amount of $625 without my permission! The Marriott Reward Employee "Bob" told me that he was going to send me an e-mail confirmation that he would be refunding my account in the amount of $625; however, I never received my e-mail confirmation that I was promised to received by Marriott Reward.

Original review: June 8, 2018

While reviewing my account, I happened to notice a missing stay. I've submitted multiple requests online; but it literally goes into a black hole. I'd like to think I am a reasonable person and no I don't expect a response within minutes or hours or even days. But now it's going on a month and nothing? I get a generated email back saying someone is reviewing my request and will personally get back with me. I've also sent a fax as well as calling their (non) toll-free number only to be left on hold. I've been loyal to the Marriott brand for almost 20 years and up until now have been very satisfied, but their customer service is definitely lacking. But these days, that actually does not surprise me.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We spent over $400 per night to stay at Sydney Marriott Circular Quay. I always use the Marriott brand and have been very happy with the comfort of the rooms. This resort by far is old and worn, but the 200 sq ft. room is what you would get when staying at a moderate hotel. The GM Ms. ** explained this is the standard for Sydney, which is a poor answer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have tried for weeks to log into my account and get nowhere. When I ask to reset my password, screens do not work. Online phone numbers do not pick up for assistance. If I even call to make a reservation, I get put on hold with music fading in and out for over 15 minutes. This is no way to run a business. I will be dealing with Hilton as my primary hotel chain in the future.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Though my stay at the Marriott in Auburn Opelika June 2nd 2018 was quite good, I find that they charge every customer $50 dollars for possible incidental charges whether they occur or not. If no incidentals occur then the hotel reimburses the $50 dollars, which shows up days later as a credit on the credit card account. The hotel claims this is done by all hotels, but I'm not so sure. I travel a fair amount and find most hotels charge me what is on the final invoice they hand me at check-out.

I find Marriott's practice of automatic incidental charges to be rather unfair. First of all, they shouldn't take my money for any length of time if I don't incur the charge. Secondly, it puts the responsibility on the customer to check that the reimbursement took place. When I called their customer service to lodge the complaint they said it was their policy and ALL hotels do this. NOT TRUE! She wanted to sign me up in their rewards program to somehow solve the problem. I don't wish to be a part of their rewards program and when I explained this is unfair to make me sign, up she hung up. Poor customer service from Marriott.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Am very disappointed in the hotel staff and reservation dept at Marriott Lincoln NE. We are actually attending a convention there in a few weeks and even though we live in Lincoln we were going to support local and stay at the hotel where the convention is taking place. There was block for this convention however the first day only allowed 61. I had requested 4 rooms and only one of those rooms I am getting the quoted rate for the first night/week. The remainder rooms I am being charged an extra 110 for the first night and the rest of my 4 days I am getting the quoted rate as more rooms were blocked for the rest of the week.

I asked the front office manager if there was a way to just honor the rate for my other 3 rooms and he told me no. Now again I understand the whole blocked rooms deal but come on. 3 extra rooms. What would it hurt to extend the offer. Considering again we live in the town and really don't even need to stay at the hotel at all. We chose to support local and now I am thinking maybe we shouldn't. Maybe we should support Embassy Suites which is a block away and just walk to convention. I am a Marriott rewards member as well and after the rudeness of both the staff and reservation dept I am considering not ever staying at a Marriott hotel again.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have been a rewards member with my husband for 15+ years. We have three weeks Marriott Timeshare and Marriotts Visa and are Platinum members. I’ve been satisfied with Marriott and used Marriott as my preferred hotel all this time until last year. Although our Timeshare and Visa are jointly owned and rewards membership shared, Marriott changed their policy that made the account accessible only to one member. My husband got it. Hence, I had to start my own from the bottom up. Frankly, I felt slighted at this considering it a demotion on my loyalty to Marriott Rewards. This really annoyed me and made me question my loyalty to Marriott exclusively.

I travel a lot for work and my company prefers Hilton. I started a rewards program with them and I have been surprised and pleased with the brand that I made it my preferred unless Marriott brand was cheaper in some areas I travel to. I feel that Marriott does a very poor job of taking care of their long time Marriott Rewards members. They have not taken any steps in compensating the loss of a Platinum status that I earned equally with my husband. I am very disappointed in this. I’ve tried many times to explain this to customer service since last year to no avail. I don’t think Marriott empowers their customer service personnel to take care of loyal customers.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Please beware when booking a stay at the Marriott or any of its brand. I booked on one day and cancelled the very next day. Yes, I prepaid. Now Marriott does want to return my $700 days. As you can see below that isn't what my entry says about cancelling. TripAdvisor has been helpful and is taking it to the next level. Shame on Marriott, it's not over. I really don't know why Marriott thinks money is for keeps.

Original review: May 28, 2018

In town for a big wrestling weekend and the power went out and the general manager Tracy provided very poor customer service. The backup generator was operating but only powered the common areas and NOT the air conditioning, it must have been 90 degrees in the lobby with no air circulation at all. The hotel management and staff did nothing, as far as I know, to make any kind of accommodation to try and make their guests as comfortable as possible. First of all, it was a very hot and humid day/evening and no staff offered ice water, fans or pillows, open windows and doors, or just professionalism and empathy in general towards customers' frustration. I’m just stunned at the total lack of effort from Marriott. I understand there is nothing that can be done about the power going out, but they could have tried to make the customers as comfortable as possible.

Tracy said NO comps, or reductions to the room rate or any other concession. Her attitude is flippant and uncompromising. The only thing she said was the power should be back on between 10 am and 3 am. She also said we aren’t going to do anything because it’s out of our control, “you wouldn’t ask for a refund from the power company if the power goes out at your house would you?” No Tracy but the power company IS NOT in the hospitality industry like you are! My son has to wake up at 7 am in the morning for his last day of a large wrestling tournament. I expect more from Marriott and I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I have stayed here twice a year (Dec & May), I am very disappointed and feel let down.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I called the Boston Marriott Cambridge to discuss an issue with a reservation. I was passed to 2 different people: Accounting and Manager. Both were extremely rude, talking over me throughout most of the call. They refused to even acknowledge my concern and would not even listen to what I had to say. Terrible customer service. When I told them I would speak to someone higher up, if was like they were 12 "Go ahead, See if I care!" They obviously don't care about keeping customers happy, or providing basic courtesy. I will be sure to steer people away from this hotel.

Original review: May 15, 2018

On April 21, 2018, we arrived at Courtyard Bali Nusa Dua Resort. Hotel staff was very rude and not nice. We went to the beach club the same day and the beach was very dirty. Trash no one picked up by the beach chairs. On the beach club the shore there was trash like plastic wrappers, wood with nails, plastic bags and other kinds of trash on the sand. Also the hotel was not very clean like the lobby no one was cleaning and no one was cleaning the beach club. The workers on the beach club were just standing and talking to each other, and laughing at the people staying at the hotel.

On April 21 the guest next door were very noisy slamming the door and yelling on the hallway all night. Next day it happened again. I called the front desk. The security came after two hours. And when the security came the security started to fight the guest. There was police and dog guard. It was noisy all night. On May 1st we came back. The hotel manager was supposed to give on 3rd-floor room and quiet side. When we came back manager didn’t give us on 3rd floor and we asked if they can give 3rd floor what we requested. The receptionist told us he can’t give us 3rd floor. It’s what the manager requested you the 2nd floor. They gave us again next to the pool and restaurant. It was very loud because they played music to 11:00 pm.

The next morning we woke at 6:00 am hearing very loud hammering noise and loud talking, and really strong smell in the room. I went on the hallway. The workers were remodeling in the room and painting in the hallway only that floor. When I booked the stay with the hotel it didn’t mention on their website that they will be doing remodeling at the hotel and the remodeling went on for rest of our stay. When I checked in the receptionist never mentioned they will be doing remodeling. When I always booked with Marriott they always put online if they are going to do remodeling and what kind of remodeling they are going to do. They mentioned they will put us on quiet room but they did the opposite and put us where they are doing remodeling on that floor.

My husband had a heart attack on February. He is not supposed to breath strong paint fumes. We started to get bad headaches, dizziness, and nausea from strong paint fumes in the room. You can die from breathing strong paint. It can damage your health. And I am supposed to pay for that service. Also the hotel had wedding on May 2nd. We tried to go to bed early that day. It was very noisy. People were laughing very loud after 11:00 pm. The hotel should have the wedding inside, or have the wedding start early and end faster. The hotel would close the pool at 9:00 pm. They didn’t allow the guest to swim for it not to be loud but they had a wedding after 11:00 pm. The hotel didn’t say anything to them. It’s not fair for other guests.

The pool was not clean. The filter pump was broken for couple days. They were trying to repair it for couple days. When I went the beach club on May 1st I complained to the worker why they are not cleaning the beach resort and the other hotels are cleaning. They had fifteen workers. The worker started to get mad at me and said they cleaned the beach in morning but we were in the morning no one cleaned for ten days the beach club. On May 1st I called the Marriott corporate located in Salt Lake City Utah. I talked to Sharene the guest experience supervisor. She was very rude. She didn’t want to listen what I had to say. She yelled to me stop talking and to listen to her. She said they can do whatever they want, "If you don’t like it you can leave," but I tried to explain that I already paid for the hotel but if I left last minute the hotel prices went up. She said she doesn’t care if I lose the money that I already paid.

On May 2nd I called higher corporate. I talked to Debra **. I explained to her the situation that went on and she listened to me but she sent over the information to hotel director to resolve the issues. When I talked to her I told her I want to keep it confidential my name because I already complained before to manager but he did the opposite the first time. The next day everyone at the hotel knew I complained. They started to be very rude asking where we were from, and restaurant supervisor told us if we can give them a good review.

After we complained to the higher corporate they started to clean the beach club, lobby, hallways, pool one day before we had to leave. Every day there was problems but we don’t have pictures of everything. Only took couple pictures of the beach club and the remodeling. We stayed with the same hotel three years ago. The service was excellent and this time it was unacceptable. We stayed at other Marriott hotels in different countries too. Had excellent service. Never experienced anything like this before. It’s like motel not hotel. I would only be able rate them for their service one star. It is unacceptable. Their customer service and the cleanliness is horrible.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Reserved one night at Residence Inn, Arcadia, CA for May 13 at the front desk. Next day returned to cancel due to alternate arrangements. Desk clerk refused to provide a printed cancellation receipt and advised an e-mail would be sent. No e-mail.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We took my mother on a cruise for her 95th birthday, which involved driving from Colorado to the Long Beach, CA cruise terminal. I made reservations at the Courtyard Cedar City in advance for one ADA room and one regular room as a midpoint stop to break up the trip. When we got there and went to the rooms, we saw that the bed height was ridiculously high. There was no way my mother who is primarily in a wheelchair would be able to get into the bed. I’m five feet tall and had to hop up a bit myself. I’ve been to a lot of hotels and have never seen such high beds and certainly not for an ADA room. When I talked to the manager about what they might be able to do, to say she wasn’t interested in trying to help us is an understatement. I was shocked at her insensitivity to the situation. Her response was “all the beds are the same and that’s our beds and I can’t do anything about it.”

In the regular room I had noticed that there was a pullout couch. So, we decided to move my mother into that room so she could go to bed even though the bathroom was not ADA. I didn’t want to stay there after the rude treatment of the manager and unsafe accommodations for my mother, but it would have been too hard on my mother to get her back in the car and load our luggage and try to find a proper ADA room. She was very tired and just wanted to go to bed. At our request, they did make up the couch, but we were the ones that had to problem solve the situation. I have never encountered such an unprofessional and apathetic Marriott Manager. I subsequently submitted a complaint to Marriott corporate but they were also not at all concerned about our experience nor the fact that the ADA room doesn’t meet ADA guidelines.

It was a very upsetting experience and as my 95 year old mother said, “I will never stay at a Marriott again.” The lack of regard for serving the disabled is disgraceful. I trusted when I booked an ADA room, that it was just that. I can’t risk ever trusting Marriott again when it comes to providing safe and proper accommodations for my mother.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Since a few months the previously excellent reservation phone system has turned to be unacceptable. I was on the phone this afternoon for 20 minutes listening to the automated system telling me "a associate will be with you momentarily." I tried to call customer service and after 30 minutes waiting I hung up. Needless to say that I am now using other hotel chains.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had the most horrific experience with Marriott. I've stayed with them a few times in the past and booked my employees with them. I've had issues with them once or twice before but nothing to this magnitude. I booked someone for a hotel a couple of weeks ago at a $299 rate for all 4 nights staying. They increased the rate for every night of the person's stay and it went up to $899 for the final night's stay. That is absolutely crazy to me! Anyways, after arguing and having to get downright nasty with them, they still didn't want to budge or refund the money that they owed me. They think they are superior and that nothing will put a dent in their wallets but I work for a large corporation. I hope you will take my advice and not stay with them. The guys behind the scenes don't care about their customers at all. I've never been treated so badly by a hotel, so I'm happy to say I won't be using them ever again.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Marriott several times. We were so close to the staff that they would hug us coming and going. Our last stay was in March of this year. Our room was cleaned on our last night there. We were down at the bar/restaurant having dinner and drinks. When we arrived back to our room, all of our belongings were stolen and our mattress was bare.

We immediately called the front desk and they said they would “look into it.” This was on a Sunday night and we had to work Monday at 6am. 5am rolled around and we still did not have our belongings or a callback. We went down to the front desk and sat for 5 hours without a resolution. We both had to call out of work for this and they were not willing to do anything! We have filed a police report and gotten to the top of Marriott corporate. They still are saying “We’re sorry, if we find your items we will ship them to you.” Absolute worst company I have ever interacted with. They are horrible at customer service. Please please do not stay here. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels in the US and I have NEVER had my items stolen.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We enjoyed the ambiance and the friendly staff and accommodations at this Fairfield Marriott in Temecula, Ca. Very modern hotel, comfortable, nice pool, and a lovely lounging area. Bed was comfortable, the breakfast was very delicious and had many selections. The price of the room was a bit high priced, but it was on a weekend.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Salt lake city, Utah - Excellent concierge services and very clean. Very customer oriented. Convention center location is perfect. All staff members were polite, accommodating and happy! All inquiries and needs were met with enthusiasm. And love Starbucks in the lobby.

Original review: March 26, 2018

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in Holtsville, NY for 6 weeks and had a very pleasant experience. The staff couldn't have been more helpful & extremely nice. Whatever we needed they got it.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I had a very nice room in Marriott Hotel Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Staff was wonderful. Good room service. Price was a little on the high side but it is a midtown location. Close location to the events we were going to.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I stayed at a Marriot Hotel in Fairfield, Ca for several months for work and I was very comfortable. The rooms were very large. I had a studio and it was suitable enough to live in. The place is clean, quiet and has good breakfast and evening meals. It was a great home away from home. The gas fireplace was an added benefit that was a great amenity. The kitchenette and full size refrigerator were perfect when I cooked at home otherwise the evening snacks were sufficient for meals. The staff were EXCELLENT!!! The management always went out of their way to provide excellent service. They were always proactive and listened to their clients. Very friendly and accommodating staff. As an example when I was ill they went to the store for me to purchase an item and brought it to my door within 15-20 minutes. The evening that I checked in they called my room to see if it was to my satisfaction.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I refused to stay in Boston over parents weekend, at $350.00/night & up. The Boston Marriott in Burlington, MA was affordable (mother & 2 daughters) and close to my daughter's college. Good service. Rooms are very clean, comfortable & nice. Also, parking was civilized: no charge and easily available. I'm totally happy at this hotel and will stay there again.

Original review: March 24, 2018

The staff at both hotels could not have been better in Vienna and Woodbridge, VA. The staff, quality and amenities were more than excellent. The whole family enjoyed the entire weekend. Dining room layout left a little to be desired, mostly for couples, in their defense we were traveling with a fairly large group of eleven.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Well how about pre paying for a room and Marriott saying the room isn't paid for. Then a rude agent does nothing to help the situation, claiming they can't even discuss the reservation with you. Pathetic, crappy customer service. They should be embarrassed. Find another hotel chain. If you have a problem they will do nothing to fix it!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Marriott Hotels San Francisco, California, USA is a quality full service hotel. All you need to do is ask and your request will be accommodated with a smile, rooms are quiet and very comfortable. Amenities, linens, closet space ample. Customer service based hotel with class and style.

Original review: March 23, 2018

My experience in the Chambersburg, PA location was great overall. The staff was friendly and Sarah, the location manager, is a pleasure to work with. She always seems to know my name and goes the extra mile to ensure my stay was a great experience.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I loved that Marriott Courtyard in Dallas, TX, USA & didn't want to leave it! Everything at this Marriott Courtyard looked new, pristine & clean. The breakfast buffet was lovely. The rate was 30% less than I paid for a room at a nearby filthy rundown Motel 6 with broken door lock!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I rarely write a blistering review, but Marriott & SPG have earned this one. I received a notice that I could link my Marriott Rewards and SPG rewards accounts, and that my Marriott status would apply to SPG. That occurred; however, I was 4 days away from platinum status (75 nights) with all Marriott stays, and decided to book a 20-night stay at a Sheraton property (much more expensive). I since learned that those 20 nights WON'T apply to my Marriott rewards status. Called the SPG rewards customer service, and was told this is their policy - there is nothing they will do to remedy the situation - and, it will be another year before the account sync process will be finalized. Marriott - SPG executives, brilliant policy decision - mistreat your most loyal customers, because of your system sync issues, and don't allow for a manual override of the policy to appease us. Client delight score - less than zero...

Marriott expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

• Best for: Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs