2. Travel

Marriott Hotels

4.0/5 (1173 ratings)

About Marriott Hotels

Marriott Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: July 18, 2020

We all have choices on where we spend our hard earned money. In America, most people get very limited vacation time and when you've been saving all year for that one or two week vacation with your family you have the right to expect to be taken care of. Marriott takes care of you. In fact, in my experience Marriott goes above and beyond to always cater to the needs of their customers so their guests can have one less thing to worry about when they finally have free time to relax with family and friends. Their rewards program not only rewards you for your stays but also ensures that you have 24/7 customer service so your stay and your choice to spend your money at the many diverse Marriott brands will be a choice you can feel good about.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Quality for rooms and service were very good. I felt safe and well protected. Shops and restaurants inside the hotel were very well priced and very good quality as well. Location of hotel was near the convention center where I had to go and close to a lot of the attractions of the city. Cost of parking was way too expensive and very inconvenient, but, fortunately, did not have to use my car that much. Valet service was way out of financial reach for me. Had to do a lot of walking because of the constant requirement to pay for every time I had to go somewhere with the car. Besides the problems with the parking and use of my vehicle, the hotel has a great deal to offer for the price.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I myself dislike Hotels. My mind wonder as the thought of sleeping in one and knowing that thousands of others have slept there, showered there, used the toilets. No matter how clean some one told me they were who have stayed in the Marriott. And the time came when a friend had to take her granddaughter, out of town to stay for the Summer, so she asked me would I go with her and told me would be staying at the Marriott. My heart dropped. Because she knew I didn't like sleeping nowhere but my own bed. And I love cleanliness. And to my surprise I said yes.

I brought my own sheets, towel, washcloths, and toilet seat covers. Bleach and Pine-Sol and to top it off my LYSOL! She laughed so hard and asked me why was I bringing all of that. I told her to clean the room and sleep on my sheets and use my own towel and wash clothes. She laughed. When we arrived to the Marriott, from the time we walked in everything was sparkling clean. The floors were glowing, customer service

Original review: July 5, 2020

During my business travel days, if I were visiting a city I’ve never been to and have no idea as to the safety or the cleanliness I would always choose a Marriott hotel or Marriott Suite Hotel. Why? Because could always be assured that the sheets on the bed were changed. There was always a restaurant either in the Hotel or next door, their safety procedures are superior. Parking is never a problem. Their associates are always kind, professional, and always go out of their way to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. I like the Marriott brand because as a business traveler I can always count on the best.

Original review: July 4, 2020

When I travel I like the continuity of quality in hotel standards which I find to be consistent in Marriott properties. I am also acutely aware of the need for security, being an over 50 female and have never had concerns with Marriott. Whether it be help getting my bags or escorting me to my car if I arrive or depart during early morning or late evening hours. The cleanliness of Marriott properties have never been a disappointment - especially in these trying times, cleanliness and safety are of primary concern. I have never encountered staff that were not very helpful and always willing to help. In addition, the staff is knowledgeable and not averse to asking for assistance if they are not sure of the answer - rather than just blow me off with some generic answer. I would highly recommend this hotel brand for quality and excellence.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Upon arrival at the Hotel their Computer Reservation System was not working. They could not swipe my Credit Card, but I returned the next morning and presented them with my Capital MasterCard. After returning home, I discovered they had a Netspend Visa Debit Card on File, and billed both my MasterCard and Visa. Told I was due an $813.00 Credit to my Visa Card, but nothing to date 2 weeks later and emails to both Marriott.com and directly to the Courtyard Hotel in Aruba. They took my money in one quick swipe but cannot seem to figure how to credit their error which they keep acknowledging. No Excuse - Poor Billing and Front Desk operation.

Original review: June 17, 2021

In November 2020 I booked a room at a Marriott property I had previously stayed at with no issues. The reason for my booking was to be closer to my adult children after I had a major surgery and needed some help and rest. When I checked in they could not find my rewards account but I felt that was minor. When I got to my room it was not as clean as I would have expected during the height of COVID. When I went to take a shower the following morning I found mold and mildew caked and dripping down the walls. I was not about to shower in that so I called the front desk. Nobody answered so I walked down. I was told I would need to leave the room so they could clean it. I asked how long and they said 2 hours. I explained I had just had a major surgery and 2 hours out was going to really be pushing my limits but I would take a couple of my kids to breakfast and be back after 2 hours.

I returned 3 hours later to find nobody had even entered the room at all. I called back down to the front desk and they again told me to leave and they would get it taken care of. At this point I just asked one of my kids if I could go lay on their sofa. I called every couple hours until 7 pm when I was finally told the room was clean. When I arrived back at the room again I found that the shower had not been touched, the rest of the room had not been cleaned and there was a stack of two towels on the sofa. I called the desk again. They said they would send someone right up and for me to just step out for a bit again! Upon returning I still found the moldy mildewed shower and cleaned it myself. Half way through I stopped and took video which I wish I could post here so nobody else pays over $200/nt for less than Motel 6 quality.

I had to extend my stay one night and no other hotels were available so I asked the front desk if I could book one more night and showed them a rate on a third party app (if I had to stay in filth I at least wanted the beat deal which was still over $200). But the desk person “didn't know how to do that” and told me to book it on the third party site then mentioned after I did I would not get any points for it because I booked through the app (that they told me too). I called the manager after checking out. I was so sore and tired while there. I just didn’t have the fortitude to deal with it then and I was told the manager would be off until a few days following my check out anyways.

When we spoke he seemed sincerely concerned. I explained as a business owner myself I wanted to give him the opportunity to rectify the situation before reporting it to the health department or the Corporate office. He asked me to send him the videos and said he would reply when he received them. He also stated since my stay was booked through a third party app (at his employee's request) he could not refund me but would credit me in points for the equivalent of a one night stay at that property. Three weeks later I had emailed him three times following up and he finally responded. He stated he had credited me 20,000 points which was equal to a one night stay. Imagine my shock when I went to book a room at the property and it was 80,000! So I get credited one quarter of one night of a three night stay??

I should have simply been immediately moved to a room with no mold that was clean. If that wasn’t available then the manager should have done as he promised and credited for a full night stay. When I called customer service to give them feedback they kept me on the phone for over an hour to confirm that yes that’s exactly what I would be getting. My silence has not been purchased by Marriot. I was under the impression they were being accountable for an egregious error but they lied and made it worse. DO NOT patronize this shady Company. They lie, they are filthy and they completely disrespect their patrons.

Original review: May 2, 2021

We have stayed at the Marriott in Irvine since the beginning of 2021. Most recently we booked two rooms 4/16/21. The following is what we experienced. The rooms had less than adequately supplied with essentials towels, toiletries. When we arrived in the evening people were parking without paying for valet because of the entertainment on the top deck deck of the hotel so we had to wait for a parking spot. The elevators had lines of people who were not registered guest but were there for the entertainment only so we waited again in line. When we checked out there was only elevator A was available and it was packed with people. No observance social distancing at all!

When I tried to convey my concerns to the valet manager he rebuffed me. When I requested to speak to the hotel manager Nikki **, Director of Rooms spoke with me. While waiting outside for my wife to check out. On the street again because the valet area was once again crammed. My wife informed me that she was issued a refund for the valet parking. When I ask her she took so long. My wife and my daughter said. Only one elevator was apparently in service and it was packed with people no matter how long they waited. It was always the same elevator "A" and it was packed. We have stayed at the Marriott Spa Resorts and have been quite pleased. The hotel is very nice and attractive and fairly new. Too bad it's attracting negative elements.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Went to Marriot in Santa Marta Colombia with a group. Clean hotel, advertised a large room, gave me half of what I wanted, breakfast poor at best, dinners very good, poolside waiter staff excellent, nice pool, bathroom counter almost ripped off wall, and left with a positive PCR test while there... What else can a person say??

Original review: April 12, 2021

Unfortunately my last couple of experiences with the Marriott Hotels have been negative. In both cases the level of clean was so subpar. The 1 was just a Marriott, everything in the bathroom was filthy, with mold & mildew growing in shower & sink area, the air conditioner/heat had to be cleaned after I pointed out the thick layer of filth. The other was actually their Westin brand & during the pandemic & yet, people without masks in the lobby, the room was not clean, the alarm clock was broken & filthy!! And it took 40-60 min (after 10pm) to get someone to bring a replacement alarm clock for me & a blanket, since they had none. Also, the room itself was not cleaned to my standard, or what I would expect from the Westin & especially during COVID.

Marriott author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team