2. Travel

Marriott Hotels

Marriott Hotels
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.48/5

Marriott Hotels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott Hotels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: July 18, 2020

We all have choices on where we spend our hard earned money. In America, most people get very limited vacation time and when you've been saving all year for that one or two week vacation with your family you have the right to expect to be taken care of. Marriott takes care of you. In fact, in my experience Marriott goes above and beyond to always cater to the needs of their customers so their guests can have one less thing to worry about when they finally have free time to relax with family and friends. Their rewards program not only rewards you for your stays but also ensures that you have 24/7 customer service so your stay and your choice to spend your money at the many diverse Marriott brands will be a choice you can feel good about.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Quality for rooms and service were very good. I felt safe and well protected. Shops and restaurants inside the hotel were very well priced and very good quality as well. Location of hotel was near the convention center where I had to go and close to a lot of the attractions of the city. Cost of parking was way too expensive and very inconvenient, but, fortunately, did not have to use my car that much. Valet service was way out of financial reach for me. Had to do a lot of walking because of the constant requirement to pay for every time I had to go somewhere with the car. Besides the problems with the parking and use of my vehicle, the hotel has a great deal to offer for the price.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I myself dislike Hotels. My mind wonder as the thought of sleeping in one and knowing that thousands of others have slept there, showered there, used the toilets. No matter how clean some one told me they were who have stayed in the Marriott. And the time came when a friend had to take her granddaughter, out of town to stay for the Summer, so she asked me would I go with her and told me would be staying at the Marriott. My heart dropped. Because she knew I didn't like sleeping nowhere but my own bed. And I love cleanliness. And to my surprise I said yes.

I brought my own sheets, towel, washcloths, and toilet seat covers. Bleach and Pine-Sol and to top it off my LYSOL! She laughed so hard and asked me why was I bringing all of that. I told her to clean the room and sleep on my sheets and use my own towel and wash clothes. She laughed. When we arrived to the Marriott, from the time we walked in everything was sparkling clean. The floors were glowing, customer service

Original review: July 5, 2020

During my business travel days, if I were visiting a city I’ve never been to and have no idea as to the safety or the cleanliness I would always choose a Marriott hotel or Marriott Suite Hotel. Why? Because could always be assured that the sheets on the bed were changed. There was always a restaurant either in the Hotel or next door, their safety procedures are superior. Parking is never a problem. Their associates are always kind, professional, and always go out of their way to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. I like the Marriott brand because as a business traveler I can always count on the best.

Original review: July 4, 2020

When I travel I like the continuity of quality in hotel standards which I find to be consistent in Marriott properties. I am also acutely aware of the need for security, being an over 50 female and have never had concerns with Marriott. Whether it be help getting my bags or escorting me to my car if I arrive or depart during early morning or late evening hours. The cleanliness of Marriott properties have never been a disappointment - especially in these trying times, cleanliness and safety are of primary concern. I have never encountered staff that were not very helpful and always willing to help. In addition, the staff is knowledgeable and not averse to asking for assistance if they are not sure of the answer - rather than just blow me off with some generic answer. I would highly recommend this hotel brand for quality and excellence.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

The hotel room was subpar and not in the least bit inviting. The room was dingy and the sliding glass door did not lock. The mini fridge had issues. The carpet was nasty. There appeared to have been a water leak in the ceiling that was poorly patched and grungy. The patio was riddled with cigarette butts (non smoking hotel). Large roaches were running about in areas around in and around the hotel. It was the worst experience that I have had in many years of staying in a Marriott hotel. After sending an email sharing my experience, I received a standard, "Thank for your email. This will serve as a teaching point for our company." Nothing about reimbursement or credit for the horrible one night stay we encountered or the fact that our weekend getaway was totally ruined by this disastrous decision to trust our lodging to our favorite hotel chain, because we can usually expect the best if the Marriott name is associated with it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I called the Marriott Easton in Columbus, Ohio to block 30+ rooms for our daughters out of town wedding guests. I spoke with Micheal ** in sales. He informed me that he needed to get additional information from someone else in the sales department regarding questions I had regarding shuttle service. After two weeks of waiting on a return phone call from Mr. ** and having left 5 voicemail messages for him with no return calls I called the 800 number to book hoping for better results. The woman I spoke with said she would call Mr ** herself and get back with me. 5 days later and no email or phone call.

We decided to try booking with the Hyatt in downtown Columbus. Further from our event venue however Jacob in sales at the Hyatt not only confirmed our block the same day but has kept in touch with us via email regarding area maps, a booking link and additional information. Having stayed at Marriott owned hotels in the past I am highly disappointed. There is no excuse for this lack of professionalism or customer service. I will no longer book my travel stays with Marriott affiliated hotels nor will I recommend them. What a huge letdown. You would think that with so many places closing because of Covid that this hotel would be happy to get a booking at all let alone a 30+ room block.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We all know COVID-19 has caused a lot of uncertainty for us in 2020 and a lot of events had to be rescheduled/canceled. I did the correct thing and canceled two hotel rooms we had booked for a event in Irving, TX. The cancellation was done two months prior to the event and two months prior to the last day of cancellation required by the hotel policy. We received a confirmation email asking us to give Fairfield Inn 90 days to process the refund due to COVID-19, no problem we understand.

Fast forward, 100 days no refund, call hotel for a week straight and not answer or return call. Call HQ and they do not know anything and have to send message to hotel DM, give them a couple of days to respond. A week later, same response. A week later, management is working on refunds. Today, 135 days later, the hotel will not open back up until 2 Nov 20 and they are the only ones that can refund money. They SHOULD start the process as soon as they return... YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK... this was from a manager in Customer Service. Poor Customer Service. A refund for not one room but two rooms.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Residence Inn by Marriott in Sparks, NV on Legends Bay Drive said they were pet friendly. We booked a room and when we got there, they told us there would be a $150.00 non-refundable charge for the pet fee. I told them that was outrageous and left. I also told them I did not expect to see a charge for the room for that night. Of course, they charged us. My credit card company said they are using the $193.82 room charge as a cancellation fee. What a total rip off. I do not plan on staying at a Marriott hotel ever again. I hope you enjoy my money. Can anyone say "thieves?"

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I have just stayed at a hotel for the first time since COVID19 became an issue. It was a 7-night stay at a TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Broomfield, Colorado.

As an Elite Bonvoy member I have received multiple communications from Arne Sorenson and his team at Marriott about their new COVID19 protocols to “protect” their Guests. I have wondered as someone who has been involved in hospitality for 40 years, how much of the “protocols” are just “hype” and how much “reality”.

I say this because with thousands of hotels under management across the globe the challenge of retraining people is massive as we all know. I can say now after 7 nights at this Marriott property that in my opinion based on what happened during my stay, the protocols are mostly, “hype”.

I complained because when I checked in my room was not, clean (dirty floors and utensils), I also complained because many Guests entering the hotel did not wear masks. The person who checked me in had a mask hanging from their right ear. The housekeeping staff either had masks around their neck or wore no masks. The first day I wanted to go to the gym but it was occupied by 2 people without masks! I complained to the front desk twice and to Bonvoy twice (they did confirm that Marriott’s policy is that staff and Guests are required to wear masks) but no one, has responded to my complaints, so far. This shows a degree of arrogance that is surprising in a company that claims to care about its staff members and, its Guests.

It is also the very best reason for consumers like me to stick to vacation rentals (avoiding entities like Marriott Villas and Homes that obviously have the same lax protocols that Marriott hotels does). As a comparison I stayed in an Airbnb unit in Big Bear two weeks ago and the place was spotless. The hotel industry is facing a huge challenge and, in my opinion, the worst thing they can do is to calm the public’s fears by announcing cleaning and other protocols that simply are not real.

Marriott author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team