1.70/5

780 Marriott Hotels Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I reserved a room at the Marriott Courtyard, Saint Louis Park, February 14th, 2019. The first thing that grasped my attention was how helpful the staff was. They were immediately willing to guide me where I needed to be. But, more than that, through clear instruction, able to get me there. As, I strolled through the lobby there was an extreme attraction to cleanliness, organization, and elegance. 3 different style seating areas; useful for your imagination to see fit. Satisfy your hunger, swiftly, with a quick snack or go just down the hall to the restaurant. Then, quick access to spacious, speedy, elevators.

Hallways on the way to room entrance large and clean. Magnetic key for quick and easy entrance. Now, inside a warm comfortable room, first thing to hit my eyes, a huge chair, w/ meal tray. I easily wanted the chair for my very own. I looked around and was trapped, I did not want to leave… Upon further exploration, nice comfortable bed, made properly. There were extras… Coffee Keurig, Refrigerator, iron w/ ironing board and hairdryer.

Then, I went into the bathroom. I never saw anything like it. The shower was bigger than a normal bathtub. There was a smooth sliding door. While in, there was a beautiful sound as the water danced against the unusually large stainless-steel drain. Towels and personals displayed in an extremely inviting fashion. These just a few of the outstanding features I found in a smaller affordable $150 room. The atmosphere was phenomenal! Thank you so much for a relaxing night…

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Well for starters we had our little dog with us and did not see a sign were dogs were welcome so I went in to ask staff very nice and said, "Oh yes your dog will not be a problem. Would you like to be on the first floor by the back door exit." which made it nice and easy to take our dog out. So overall I would recommend it.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

After struggling with cancelled flights and other travel inconveniences for a couple of hours, it was a relief to be breezed thru reception with a friendly smile and a freshly made, warm cookie to tuck in with! Good water pressure in the shower and big, soft towels, a comfortable bed, and a clean coffee-maker (this is a thing people!) Helped make the room before my early morning shuttle arrived. I made my way to the lobby to fresh coffee and a copy of the NYT. Nice!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Here's the bottom line. I've read most of these reviews and would say some are legit and some are not. I've stay at Marriott for over 12 years and booked close to 700 nights. They of late have issues but overall they are the best Hotel chain out there. Sure there are nicer hotels out there but you'll pay a pretty penny, your choice. I wish we all could be fair, responsive and set our expectations accordingly. I am at a Marriott in Miami Airport, it's pretty bad here. Paper thin walls, kinda untrained front desk team, Doors slamming most of the night... But hey what do you want for 127.00 per night. It's an Airport hotel.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I recently visited the Fairfield Inn in Dubuque, IA. Since Dubuque is my husband’s hometown we try to get there often. Dubuque is a great place to hang out with friends and family, conveniently located in the tri state area. A very picturesque area full of historic places, hotel selections are numerous. So why the Fairfield? Amazing customer service. First, this is the only hotel in the Hilton and Marriott group that will tell you at check in that they are pleased to offer you an upgrade. I have to ask at every other hotel. They will go out of their way to put your party all together in conveniently located rooms. They know the area and best places to eat, and shop. Always great suggestions.

On my last visit I left some clothing articles in the room after vacating. They arrived at my house before I realized they were gone. That only happens at Dubuque Fairfield. All other forgotten items are gone. The rooms are always clean and everything works. The maids are all super and happy to do anything, get a wine glass, get a soda, water, etc. You can stay in more elaborate digs but won’t get the care and attention of the little hotel that could.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Marriott?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I arrived for check-in at the Residence Inn in Worcester MA. The front person asked my name and I stated: "The reservation is under my manger's name ...." The clerk then asked me to wait while she sought assistance. Shortly thereafter, her manager (Zeli) approached. I stated again the reservation was under my manager's name. That is when I told that she could not check me under another person's reservation. That is not the policy and she would not make any exceptions to it. That is when I stated I was a guest last week at this very same hotel under my manager's name and showed her my receipt.

Zeli's reaction was to state the employee from the previous week made a mistake and that employee will be reprimanded. Then re-stated I was not staying under another person's check-in. I then called my manager and he had a brief conversation with her with some choice words. Zeli's attitude and demeanor changed. She became calm and inviting and offered me water then proceeded to provide me with a room, with no further questions or issues. It is a shame I had to involve my manager in order to get some basic respect and courtesy. Keep in mind, never during the conversation did the hotel manager ever offer a kind word or helpful suggestion to resolve. It was simply, "You are not checking in under these circumstances."

Original review: May 19, 2019

My daughter is in Germany and her flight was canceled and they rescheduled her for 18 hours later. She needed a hotel so I contacted Marriott. I was able to book a room at the airport with some points (as I'm a member) and some money. I provided a credit card and they made the reservation under her name as well as mine and I received a confirmation. After this was all completed, they told me she cannot get the room unless I fill out a "third party authorization" form to which I explained I was unable to do so as I'm traveling myself and only have access to my phone. They insisted I needed to print out a form, sign in and fax it back to them. So now I needed a computer, printer and fax machine.

I told them I could e-mail them my approval and also verify on the phone but they said no. They said that most people do this in advance of a trip but as I explained this just happened and we can't control a flight being canceled. So now my daughter is in another country and has no hotel. Shame on you Marriott leaving a young girl in at an airport in another country where she does not speak the language and now has to sleep on the floor in the airport for 18 hours.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have been an executive in the hospitality industry for over thirty years. I have never seen a situation with bed bugs like what we are witnessing at Marriott properties currently. It has become known recently within the industry that Marriott has a severe bed bug problem, which they have put considerable effort into covering up. Many of us in the industry are offended by Marriott’s behavior, as it could make all of us look bad. I was sent this website for my input: https://squashmarriottbedbugs.com/. It’s still in development, but I recommend viewing what they have up there now. It’s quite informative and accurate.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Ever since Marriott took over SPG brand you can see the class of services has degraded! The website and what you can do is worse; I want to simply add my wife onto my reservation and I cannot. I called in and they said they added her to the notes but I do not see the notes on my reservation only Marriott sees it. You can tell everything has degraded significantly and the customer service staff exude a poor vibe. I used to think American Express & SPG were the best customer service and loyalty programs ever. Well, it is now just American Express and everything else a distant 10th with Marriott not even a mediocre choice. I am a platinum member and I must say, Marriott simply sucks!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I joined the Marriott Bonvoy programme, expected the cheapest all up price but got a cheaper all up price from WOTIF which seems ridiculous as the Marriott would need to pay commissions of up to 15% to such a company. When I questioned the Marriott and asked for their price match guarantee they advised it was net of taxes yet all companies pay the same taxes. Dodgy stuff going on by the Marriott, it's not worth entering a loyalty programme if the company you are dealing with are dishonest.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Was confirmed a suite as an upgrade. Invited my mother to come stay for mother's day. She drove 3 hours only to find out the Liberty Hotel changed my room 3 hours before checkin with not notifying me about the change. I HAD NOWHERE FOR MY MOTHER TO SLEEP ON MOTHER'S DAY!! I was told there was no suites available but I was able to make 4 reservations online for that room!!! Total disrespect for a 11 year platinum member. Never been treated so bad from any Marriott hotel.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Miserable experience began on check-in. Arrived at 3:30 PM and room was not ready until 5:00 PM. Room on all days so far (3 days) has NOT been cleaned until AFTER 5PM. This is completely unacceptable! Shower does not drain properly, garbage disposal does not work, coffee pot and refrigerator are dirty. This is a brand-new hotel and quickly being trashed....not by the guests but by the help. Marriott should review this location and in my opinion fire the entire staff and start over.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Thanks for contacted me! As you can see, neither the bedbug issues have been addressed, nor this serious issue below sent by Mrs. Lisa ** / Residence Inn GM. "That still doesn't give you the right to violate someone's rights by calling the police on them, specially when they are trying to pay the bill in cash as you requested! This is just wrong, and I am sure isn't Marriott policy! This ordained would had been taking care back long time ago if you had accepted full payment by credit card...But no you demanded cash!

Btw, I was never contacted by Mrs. ** by email, and your policy was never presented to us! The last time I spoke with her face to face, she asked for my phone number, and I gave to her! If you are saying is true, why wouldn't she call me! And I kept open communication with Officer Paul, from Cypress PD and, he has never mentioned it! You had no right to violate my rights as a human being! This is a bad management of your part to demanded cash payment only and allow an employee to call the police when someone is trying to pay his bill in cash as you requested! Not once, you mentioned your so call "policy"! You have discriminated against me, my family, and my rights as a patron, a citizen of this great nation, and a disabled veteran."

Original review: April 29, 2019

I visit Florida on April 23, 2019. Me and my family was supposed to go on a cruise. Due to me forgetting one of my travel document we weren’t able to go on the cruise. We decided to stay in Florida for a few days because the kids were off for Spring Break, we checked in to the Marriott Hotel in West Palm Beach, ADDRESS: 1001 Okeechobee Blvd WPB 33401. That was our first mistake. Upon checking I notice a few people were looking at us weird. I hear a lot of stories about people being in situation with racism but this was the first time I’ve experience that.

Everywhere we went in this hotel we had people giving us dirty looks, we say hello to a few people and they said nothing to us, we took our kids to the pool and as soon as the kids got into the pool they would leave, or some of them would sit either taking pictures of us and also video us. This was one of the most uncomfortable experience ever. I can’t believe the people had this hotel is so racist. I would never recommend anyone who’s not ** to visit this Marriott Hotel, I can’t believe ** people have to deal with this in 2019. This hotel is for ** ONLY! Period!!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

Do not sign up for Bonvoy or any credit cards under the Bonvoy name. I recently had to cancel a stay after the 3-day cancellation window. I knew I'd be charged a fee to do this, but the Bonvoy app had no details on how much the fee would be when I booked the stay nor when I used the app to cancel it. They also never sent me an email with details on the fee, so I had to wait for the credit card charge to go through. Unacceptable. Called customer service and they went through the actual hotel (Westin), who refused to issue a credit.

Called another customer service number to voice my issues with how this was handled and was told by Ash that she would email billing. I specifically told her that contacting the Westin was already done, so there was no point in going that route if that's what she meant. Well that's exactly what she did, so now I have to call AGAIN. The cancellation "fee" was equal to a night's stay. Had we known this, we would have kept the reso and gone. SPG was never this bad and now I will be seriously considering canceling my Bonvoy AMEX.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Beverly Beatty was at; Courtyard by Marriott Columbus OSU. Columbus, OH. I accidentally left two good coats in a hotel room the other day. I realize it is my mistake, and am willing to pay whatever it costs to ship them back. However... "no one can find them". I have called several times and they even said a manager would check into overnight and call me today. Of course, that didn't happen.

Oh please... someone is not telling the truth. If the people in the room now (who checked in right after we did), did not see them, then someone in house-keeping knows where they went. Ask them!! The front desk said she did. But she got back to me too fast; I don't think she even did ask. C'mon. Ask again, and again, and again. Someone is not telling the truth.

I asked them - before the new people check out - find my coats, please. And sound like you mean it... please. No one wants to put a little effort into it, and at this point, I guess they are "lost" but they never made it to their lost and found. It's so frustrating that I know they didn't disappear, are there somewhere, and someone who is still there (guests who checked into our room - who are still there, or housekeeping) knows what happened to them and I cannot stand the dishonesty. This is the service you get for $240 a night?

Original review: April 27, 2019

Person on the phone told me I was signed up for the corporate challenge (18 nights in 90 days) to be platinum elite. I am a traveling consultant and stay at Marriott properties 3 weeks out of 4 every month. I completed 18 nights today - I called in to check why I was showing 'GOLD elite' and not platinum. Guy on the phone (Marriott customer service) told me I was not signed up, not only did not apologize but told me I was fresh out of luck and there was nothing he could do to help me.

I am currently on vacation with my husband with no access to free breakfast or any other benefits that come with being a platinum elite member. I called in again (Second time today) to see if I would get someone more reasonable and helpful and respectful on the phone to understand my situation and make accommodations. I was so very wrong. The lady on the phone told me there was nothing that could be done and there was nothing she could do to help me.

I have never before in my life heard a Marriott customer service agent tell me there is nothing they can do to help me. My faith in the Marriott brand is shaken to its core and I am very disappointed and hurt that it is not the same brand that regarded its customers with deep understanding and professional care. Today is day 1 of my vacation with my husband and I have now spent 2 hours on the phone trying to make someone understand my situation, getting nothing but radio silence and complete apathy on the other side of the phone. Do Better, Marriott.

Original review: April 24, 2019

In April 2019 I stayed at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. I would not recommend this property for two reasons. First, they engage in deceptive business practices and have extremely poor customer service. Second, the property is run down and shares its beach with a massive cruise ship dock. I booked a regular guest room far in advance of my stay, but I received an email shortly before arrival saying that I would be in a lock-off instead of a guest room. I've stayed in a Marriott lock off before and there is no noise control. I did not want to stay in a lock off instead of a guest room, so I called the resort.

The representative acknowledged that my reservation was for a guest room and not a lock off, but refused to provide this type of accommodation for us, stating that they did not have guest rooms on that side of the resort. He said we should cancel our reservation and rebook on the other side of the hotel. However, prices has significantly increased since the time the reservation was made, and he refused to honor the price when the reservation was made. Our only option was to get something different from our reservation, or pay three times as much for what we did reserve. Not acceptable, Marriott.

Additionally, after making our reservation I called the resort to ask if Platinum status included a breakfast and was told it did. However, upon arrival we were told no breakfast for Platinum members. We spoke to the manager about the lock off situation and the misinformation about the breakfast and he was totally unsympathetic. He refused to do anything to help, and asked us to pay an extra $190 per night to keep the adjoining lock-off empty, even though we did not want this space. He also stated that lack of Platinum benefits was "clearly stated" during the reservation process. That was a lie.

I went back to the Marriott web site and did a mock reservation and it did not. Either way, when I called to ask, I did my due diligence to make sure I understood the policies of the hotel, and the hotel should provide me with accurate information. Not only did Marriott fail to live up to their promises, they had no remorse or concern about doing so.

The hotel itself was fairly sub-standard. Tired, worn out, and falling apart in many areas. Tiles falling off the walls of the pools, missing cement, one-foot weeds in the flower beds. Even the huge Hawaiian picture near the lobby had a crumbling, broken frame. Our room looked like someone recently painted it, but there was white paint all over the doorknob handles and hinges and dried paint dripping down the moldings.

Fortunately the first two nights there was no one on the other side of the lock-off, but on the second morning a repair guy started banging away on the other side of the door at 8:00 in the morning. The noise problem was exactly what I expected--if I closed my eyes I would swear that he was doing repairs in our room. So much for a relaxing morning. The beach was fine, but I had no idea the hotel was mere feet from a cruise ship dock which released flocks of people that would be sharing the tiny beach area behind the hotel.

Upon check out Marriott added $25 per day for parking, even though we did not have a car! They never asked if we had a car, or if we would like to use their parking lot, but instead just added the cost to our bill, hoping we wouldn't notice. More dishonesty on the part of Marriott, that at this point, frankly, was not surprising.

On every day of our stay we received timeshare solicitation phone calls in our room, and on the last day they left a message offering us another stay at Marriott for two people, for just $799 if we would quickly run down and give them some more money! After our experience in this hotel not only did we not accept their "special offer," but we plan never to choose Marriott again for personal stays. I don't give my business to dishonest organizations.

No organization is perfect. But when a company makes a mistake or misrepresents what they are going to offer, we expect them to make it right. It would have be so easy for Marriott to give us the room we reserved, and to give us access to the Platinum breakfast on the property. But it seems that Marriott is really not concerned with meeting their obligations or creating a good customer experience. And that type of organization is not for us.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I happily booked a reservation with one of the Marriott Bonvoy supervisor in Hawaii and obviously I had to book an expensive flight for my family to get there all of that 3 months in advanced. Two week prior to my stay I received an email notifying me that the property that I booked is going under construction and they will close everything besides access to the actual room. This is not what I want on my vacation, it is clearly not a vacation to stay under construction with my kids while there is nothing to do. I called Marriott Bonvoy to ask to move me to another property. They were not willing to help at all they say: "WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO ABOUT IT!" Horrible!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Nice hotel, even though most rooms overlook a gravel parking lot. The resort is not located on the beach, but they have an electric cart to take you to a resort that is on the beach. Pool is very, very small, but heated. Restaurant staff not friendly. What really upset me was a charge was added to my folio for items taken from the room pantry, which we did not take. I called twice to the hotel to have the charges removed, and received no response. I then called Marriott Bonvoy (rewards program) customer service since I am a Titanium Elite member, and they responded they would have the charge removed. After 12 days, the charge has not been removed from my credit card. If you stay at the Waterline Marina resort, check your folio for unauthorized charges and have them removed before you check out. In my opinion, this Marriott resort is dishonest and uses fake charges to enhance their bottom line.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was told at check-in that they got me a "great room". I walked to this great-room and out the window was a parking lot, I could hear the guy next to me coughing, and the lobby was my other neighbor along with the elevators. I walked back to reception and said that room is not so great, could I actually have a great room? She told me they were sold out. I pushed back and said she could give me a refund on my room and I'll go to Courtyard where it's less per night and a nicer hotel, or she can get me a better room. Those were the only two acceptable options for me. She looked and told me again how lucky I was that she found one. It was a handicap room, which wasn't horrible, but the carpets felt so dirty that I kept my shoes on the entire time and I heard the guy above me stomping (he could have been walking, sounded like stomps) so loudly that I had to put earplugs in to get to sleep.

I originally booked 2 nights, and I checked out the next morning feeling gross (I'm not used to 3-star hotels). The following night, I realized when I went to get my charger out of my backpack, that I didn't unplug that from the wall in my quick-departure from Springhill. I called two days later asking if they could send it to me. The lady who answered checked lost and found and said it wasn't there, that she'd check with housekeeping to see if they had it and would call me back. Zero callbacks almost a month later, so I called today in follow-up. The guy who answered said there were not any notes as to if my previous call resolved in a found charger, maybe that's why I didn't get a callback, but that he'd check lost and found again. He came back saying they didn't have it. I told him that's unfortunate because it's a rare Google Phone charger, that cost me $30 to replace and I'd really love to have this back, as I'm 100% confident I left it there.

I left the call frustrated and told him this was the second reason why I'd never stay there again (rude, I know, but I was frustrated). I then went to their website to leave a review and of course, all their reviews are wonderful. I reviewed "what are Marriott verified guest reviews?" and that their guests are emailed a survey. I then went to my email to find this survey. I clicked on it and of course, it's expired. So this is my next best outlet to share a true verified guest review from someone who isn't a 4 star or higher. I highly doubt they post anything less than a 4-star because their website only has 4 stars or higher (so fake)! So here's my real review, and I hope it helps bring awareness to those who care (or should care).

Original review: March 29, 2019

First I need to say, I've always loved Marriott. But, I need to ask anyone if they have ever had this happen to them... I booked a reservation for four rooms in December to stay the end of March for seven nights at a Marriott property. Two rooms we used points and two rooms we paid for. I was having a hard time finding my fourth reservation and just to make sure we were all set for this weekend, I called a Marriott representative to help me figure it out.

During the conversation she mentioned the price we were paying for our rooms for the week. I was looking at an email that said $1429.88 for each room on my laptop. Her price was over $2,000. I explained I was looking at an email from Marriott that said the other price and offered to forward it to her. She must have been having a really bad day, but she was not very nice on the phone and so I asked to speak with someone a bit more pleasant. I was transferred to someone else and explained my initial situation to her and then told her about the price the other girl had quoted which was over $700.00 more than the price I had in my email. She said it was probably taxes and dues. I said not for $700! She put me on hold for quite some time and while I was waiting I logged onto my office computer while I had my laptop still on my desk open next to me, thinking I'd find the missing reservation somewhere while I was waiting.

Then I opened the email on my business computer, same day, same reservation and the price that showed was $1992.39, not the $1429.88 that I was looking at on my laptop at that very moment. I was so confused. So I refreshed my laptop and up pops the new price of $1992.39. I thought I was losing my mind. So I looked in all my emails to find the original price that I had written down. That amount was nowhere to be found, then I could have understood the confusion. I only had two Marriott emails from them so I knew exactly what I was looking for. I could never prove that is what my email said. I've never had to prove a rate or had to take a picture to make sure the prices didn't change.

I talked to the manager of the hotel and he said it couldn't change, which is what I thought. But I'm telling you, it changed. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? Can hotels change prices on emails? I know I sound completely crazy, but this seriously happened to me and if I hadn't had the two computers side by side I would never have believed it either. I posted this on their insider page, but they never published it. I just want to know, has this ever happened to anyone else?

Original review: March 29, 2019

Absolutely horrific. This hotel blocked FOX News from viewing... ONLY channel scrambled and rendered unavailable to its guests’ viewing. Manager, front desk, etc had no explanation. Please don’t stay here if you didn’t vote Democrat. What an outrageous sham. Marriott/Bonvoy/Westin just lost 2 loyal customers.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I stayed at the Westin Beach and Resort at 321 North Fort Lauderdale, Florida, FL. from January 27 to January 30 2019 which is now part of Marriott.

When I checked in I asked for a quiet room – I specifically did not want an adjoining room and did not want to be next to an elevator or ice machine. I was put next to a hotel employee entrance where housekeeping carts and room service banged through the doors with carts, trays and other items at set hours every morning and every night.

On the first morning of my stay the hotel buffet opened at 7am there was no one at the entrance to greet or seat guests. At 7:10 they were still not set up. You couldn’t tell who worked there because wait staff was in winter coats, sweatshirts and hoodies and walking about and just arriving. They were also on their phones and texting. Had to ask for silverware and had to ask for them to put out milk for cereal. They kept their coats, hoodies etc. on the whole time while severing which was unprofessional.

On the last two night of my stay there was noise in the room above me. It started every night and morning at the same time. It sounded like children running around and furniture being moved. The noise went on until about 11pm each night. I did not appreciate this since I was traveling for work and had to get up early. You could hear the noise over the TV and fan. I called each night to the front desk to report the noise above me and nothing was done. Upon calling back the desk indicated the security guard went to check for noise and said they did not hear anything. On the second night (while I was already in bed) they said they would send a security guard to sit in my room to listen for noise. I found this highly unacceptable to send a male stranger to my room after hours while I’m trying to sleep to sit in my room and listen to noise. They refused to do anything else and would not knock on the door above me.

The next day when checking out I spoke with **. I was told he was the only manager available. He said, no they will not knock on another guest’s door. He did agree that it was unacceptable to have security sit in my room. He was not helpful and said he couldn’t do anything. He offered me 20,000 points which

I said was not good enough but would take them and also call corporate. He gave me my Marriott rewards number and said he credited the points. I called Marriott Customer Service on 2/5/2019 and spoke with **. I called 1-800-535-4028. I asked ** if I had received the 20,000 points - she said no and she could not find my account. ** indicated she would give me a $100.00 credit back to my credit card and 20,000 Marriott points which I agreed to. She indicated I should have the credit to my card within 5 days.

I called the same phone number back on 3/16/2019 because I had not received the credit as promised. I spoke with **. She was very helpful and found my Marriott Number and we filled in my contact information such as address, phone and email. She also indicated the case number. ** checked several things and indicated the case was escalated then she ultimately came back on the line and said the said the case was closed because I refused the points (which was not accurate). I spoke with ** for an hour and 26 minutes to find that nothing had been done. ** indicated a new case would need to be opened. While I was holding for the new case number I was disconnected. Marriott has my email and phone and I have not been contacted back.

I wrote them on 3/16, They contacted me a week later on 3/34 and apologized for not getting back with me and stated a rude passive aggressive comment about my frustration. Apparently if you follow up and state facts - you are automatically frustrated according to Marriott. I don't need them commenting on my state of mind or what they think I'm feeling. They need to keep it to their service. I asked to get this resolved - or I would go to the Better Business Bureau. Once I mentioned that they refused to speak with me again. Marriott seems very unprofessional and disorganized. I was also not happy with the Westin’s suggestion to have a security guard sit in my room while I’m in my pajamas to listen for noise. Stay at the Hilton.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Marriott and SPG merger really screwed SPG members. We paid over $1,200 for 80000 points through SPG. We were told the points would never be devalued. Well they were. Marriott charges thousands more points per night than SPG. For the same hotel we booked in August 2018 last year for 3166 points per night or (22,000 points for 6 nights) costs 125000 points for 6 nights through the Marriott. Same dates, same hotel...I doubt inflation went up that high. So we formerly could get 24-25 nights and now can only get barely 4 nights through Marriott. So upset. It’s like grand theft by a big company taking advantage of ordinary people.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My husband has been a Quarter Century Employee (which means he had over 25 years with the company) and you can stay at any Marriott property for free. He has had it for over 5 years and now as of Jan 1, 2019 they no longer honor it. We got no prior notice and get this now they show he's only had 22 years instead of 25. If he had not been there for 25 plus years how did he get it from the beginning. I have tried called the corporate office and keep getting the runaround and not real answers. It's just not fair to have something just SNATCHED from you that you were promised.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My complaint involves both the manager, Erick ** and general manager Kimberly **. Mr. Ronald ** and I were in town for the Arnold Sports festival. He is one of the athletes that was competing that weekend. Thursday morning as he was waiting for me in the lobby he fell asleep and was woken up by Kimberly ** who informed him he cannot sleep there. He explained that he was waiting for me and dozed off. Shortly after that I arrived and he explained to me that he was woken up. Neither I nor Ronald saw anything wrong with the fact that he was woken up but what followed is what has caused us stress during our stay and made us feel incredibly uncomfortable. Maybe five minutes after he was woken up Mr. Erick ** approached us without introducing himself. He asked for our last names and after I provided that information I asked if there was a problem.

He then continued what felt like an interrogation by asking if we are guests and what room we were staying at. At this point I still had no idea who I am speaking with. It was very clear from his tone of voice that he assumed we were not guests and that he viewed Ronald as a bum who snuck into his hotel. I became very upset by the way we were approached and how big of a deal was made out of a depleted, sleep deprived athlete falling asleep. Mr. ** stated he absolutely cannot sleep in the lobby, which is what Ms. ** had already stated. That issues should have ended when Ms. ** first approached him but instead it kept going. I asked Mr ** if Ronald broke any laws by dozing off to which Mr. ** replied "This is it. You guys are being kicked out. Get up and leave!"

He left and less than 5 min later he returned with a complete different change of tone. I can only assume that he checked and realized that we truly were paying customers. He then said to me "Ma'am you have to understand that a week ago someone stole a TV from here." Why do I need to understand that? He telling me that only implies that he viewed Ronald as a potential criminal. If the entire city was not booked up because of the Arnold Sports Festival, we certainly would have left. I am certain that if Ronald was a ** male, dressed in a suit and tie that he would have just been woken up and that would have been the end, but he is a man of color with a hoodie on and therefore treated as less. I am certain nobody will admit this but this was pure racial profiling, which caused him as an athlete unnecessary stress.

Later in the day he wanted to go to a nearby gas station and I asked him to take his hoodie off and not keep his hands in his pockets so he does not come off as threatening. I only felt that way because of the way we were treated. I spoke with Ms. ** on Monday about this and she never apologized or acknowledged any wrongdoings. The only thing she kept saying to me is "I am sorry you are upset that he was woken up." I again want to make it clear that is not the reason why I am upset. What's wrong is wrong and I would like this rectified.

Mr ** and Ms. ** are representing Marriott and lending the brands reputation to accepting racial profiling and allowing for a toxic and dangerous atmosphere within their hotels. No matter the color of ones skin, education status, socio-economic status, every paying guest MUST be treated with respect and we were NOT! They must train their staff how to treat human beings. These individuals failed at the bare minimum of human decency and given neither understood what they did wrong shows the need for training and education within Marriott Hotels. Hotels are known as your home away from home and home means sense of security and peace which Ronald and I were robbed of as we did not know if another ignorant and blatant attack would be made on us.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Over the past 2 (maybe 3?) years the Marriott online booking experience has never worked for me... I have stayed in Marriott hundreds of nights, & can't get one reservation online. The past year, I find a room available online, only to get an error message when I try to reserve it. The past year, when I call the reservations worldwide, the room is suddenly not available, even though I am looking online, where it is still available. Multiple complaints to the customer support have gone unanswered. By the way, their points system is crap, too. Most of the rooms available online (with points) are not available when you call the reservations worldwide. Bait & switch? I think it's time to change my preferred hotel brand.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had an incident with the AC Hotel in Asheville, NC in regards to a miscommunication with paying for parking. I was charged double the amount and asked if they'd be willing to refund one of the payments. They advised my request would be sent off to the appropriate department and I never heard back. I followed up numerous times via phone and email and still have yet to be acknowledged after over a month. Enjoyed the hotel but makes me weary to stay at another Marriott location.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I would have given zero starts if possible. Checked in. We brought our bags up to room 207. Husband went to sit on toilet (he is a large man). Toilet then leaked, turned off water & we went downstairs to notify front desk of leak and that we turned off water, needed another room. As all of our bags were still in the room, they would not allow us back into the room. Spring Hill Front desk woman hostel, called cops saying I was belligerent. Cops friendly, used to her calling for no reason. Cops did not ask for our IDs. Cops gave us ride to next Marriot Hotel (Fairfield). Fairfield checked us in.

My purse, our overnight bag, and left-over food was in the room, including my wedding ring, custom jewelry, & husband's wallet. I always remove my jewelry at night. I clipped my wedding ring on my Epilepsy Alert bracelet (I always do). My wedding ring w/ my great great grandmother's Holocaust diamond. My mother's two diamonds next to it on a custom designed ring. Second band had diamond my husband bought.

The housekeeping called down and said our room was flooded and they would bring down our possessions. After the housekeeping manager came down, we asked about room being flooded, he responded stating that our room wasn't really flooded, the water was turned off & he was able to suck up water was in the bathroom, & put down bath drain. We were able to gather our possessions. We were allowed back in room. My wedding ring was missing, along w/ wallet. HK manager said nothing was found. He seemed to have a lying smirk on face.

Marriott expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Marriott brand started in 1957 with a single hotel. Now, there are more than 500 Marriott Hotels & Resorts worldwide, and Marriott International includes 19 brands in over 4,400 locations.

• Travel Brilliantly: Marriott Hotels & Resorts has a website dedicated to collecting customer suggestions called Travel Brilliantly. Visitors to the website can make suggestions or vote for other people’s suggestions. Each year, some of these ideas are selected as winners and implemented in the chain.

• Environmental responsibility: Marriott International’s website clearly lists goals and deadlines for reducing the company’s impact on the environment. These goals include reducing water and energy consumptions by 20 percent by the year 2020 and ensuring their entire supply chain is green. The have dozens of LEED certified properties as well as properties with electric vehicle charging stations.

• Member benefits: Members of Marriott’s free rewards program not only acquire points to book free stays but also get free Wi-Fi at the hotels, a dedicated customer service line and exclusive special discounts.

• Meetings and events: The meeting and event spaces at Marriott Hotels & Resorts have been redesigned to focus on collaboration with open designs and natural lighting. They also have a staff of Meeting Experts who work with event planners to make their job easier and improve attendees’ experience.

• Guestrooms: Marriott Hotels & Resorts’ guestrooms have a modern design with flexible spaces you can use to work or relax. At select locations, travelers who have a subscription to a streaming service, like Netflix or Hulu Plus, can stream content on the in-room television.

• Best for: Marriott Hotels & Resorts caters to travelers looking for a high level of customer service, a wide range of amenities and those looking to host a meeting or event.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs