1.14/5
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

603 Westgate Resorts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 22, 2018

Update July 21, 2018. My nightmare has continued. Last Father's Day my family and I had stayed at Westgate in Orlando. We were told we have a room rate of $55 a night for 2 night plus if we went to the 90 minute presentation we would be given 2 ticket to SeaWorld. So being naive I went to see what this resort was about. The timeshare specialist name Amal greeted my son and I. I was told that they only did the timeshare for families with a 2 person household. I explained I was a single mother and was told I had to do the 90 minutes to get the tickets. So Amal asked me for my Identification to "so call check me in" and see if I was a guest at the hotel. I agreed, where I was seated and had a 10 minute explanation of their timeshare and how the opportunity as a timeshare hold could be profitable.

I bought the travel partner packaging, not the timeshare because I did not have down payment and I don't have enough credit for a loan. I was told after she brought my ID back that I wasn't going to qualify for a timeshare but I could still be a travel partner. So I paid the start up fee. I was handed a bunch of materials, a tablet and a black credit card to use while I was at the resort. Got the tickets after sitting there for 4 hours. When I got home and started to go through the material half of the material was in Spanish. I called customer service to be told I need to pay another $100 for the English material. After I refused to pay they had locked me out of my account. After two weeks of not being able to access the site or understanding anything. I finally got ahold of customer service. I was unable to sell anything.

Westgate still as of July 21, 2018 has never unlocked my account. After talking to over 20+ people. I've been threaten. Told I don't have a account through Westgate. Told that I'm not welcome on any of their properties and still get harassing emails that I'm behind on my timeshare payment. I've been hung up on more times by this company than any other. However, when I called them I don't have an account and never did. So in the end I'm $100 out for the start up fee and the $800 they stole from my account. I had to cancel my credit cards and change my bank Info. They are Thieves and should be ashamed for taking from hardworking people.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I stayed with Westgate Myrtle Beach with my husband, son, and mother for 3 nights. We got there and our room had already been rented. They upgraded us to 1 bed and a pull out queen couch. We had 2 queen beds reserved. The queen bed had full mattress so the frame caused bruises on my mother and son. There were other people’s hair in our bed. The staff was very unfriendly (other than maintenance) and they overcharged us and I had to bring it to THEIR attention. No apologies for that and no one asked me how my stay was so I filed a complaint on the BBB. They responded with I should have said something while we were there and that they weren’t going to do anything. I’m not at all surprised. I wouldn’t recommend this place to my enemies. Horrible company, and I have only just begun to complain.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 18, 2018

Westgate Cruise and Travel is the biggest rip off I have ever encountered (Club Weeks). They can’t answer any questions and they cheat you out of your money. We reserved a room that was ocean front to sleep 4 people and we got an interior room that would only sleep 2 people. THEY WILL NOT GIVE OUR MONEY BACK! It is ridiculous! My advice... go through the hotel and run as far away from Westgate as you can.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Timeshare participants (owner is a misnomer, in my opinion) with Westgate (Westgate Smoky Mountains Tennessee) for 10 years and have purchased the right to book a stand alone pedestal 3 bedroom unit. We have been pleased in the past after booking 11 months in advanced to receive the rooms that connected to one another with great views of the mountains. This year however was much different. We understand there was a fire and much of the resort needs to be rebuilt, but expecting our unit upon arrival is not the norm. The new norm is to feel lucky that you can book a unit regardless of what you’ve purchased. We brought our extended family with us and thought we would have the same accommodations with rooms connected, this was not the case.

Our rooms were not connected and we were on the button of the resort with no view, older unit, and it did not match our room accommodations that we thought we booked. Older rooms are much smaller and not nice at all compared to the newer units. After playing the game and booking 11 months out, still not being able to get your unit, is surprising. When asking to speak to supervision’s, or managers this was a waste of time. Not even one person was apologizing, just told us you have a room that sleeps what you bought. We had a fire 2 years ago. Why haven’t the units been rebuilt sooner? They have continued to charge us for our yearly maintenance and taxes for a unit that’s not built.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My wife and I decided to take a one day getaway trip to Orlando from Palm Beach, it was really a last minute trip since I work about 80 hours a week and barely have time to do anything. We arrived in Orlando around 11:00 pm and decided to stay at the first hotel we saw off the turnpike and everything was fine until the next day and here is where our nightmare started. We were approached by someone at the hotel about a timeshare with Westgate Resorts and how they had great facilities and how it was great for families and that you would get two discounted park tickets if we attended a 90 minute presentation which by the way, the tickets was NOT the reason of me investing or wasting 90 minutes of my ONLY time spending with my wife over two park tickets.

Because we travel a lot, we decided to attend the meeting to see what they had to offer and boy were we in for the worst experience of our lives. I was an RCI member about 20 years ago and I guess things have not changed but I still gave Westgate Resorts the benefit of the doubt because again we visit Orlando around twice a year with our children so perhaps this could work this time. I was greeted by someone who directed me to the new owner's desk where they ask for personal questions and credit card DO NOT give them anything, then they took to me to the second floor where it was packed so we went to the third floor and the salesperson offered us breakfast which we politely declined and told her that we're not interested in the breakfast but that we wanted to see the property, amenities, payment plan and yearly dues within others.

She left us alone for about 15 minutes and came back to interrogate me and my wife, then she left and came back again to interrogate even more, left again this time for about 30 minutes and when she came back she asked how much we could afford for a unit and a numerous of other questions then left again and said she had to go get a golf cart, then after another 30 minutes of waiting she came back to let me know that she was waiting for a golf cart to be available, she left again and came back within ten minutes with a big smile to let us know, "YAAY we have a golf cart." So we get down to the lobby and to my surprise I counted 17 empty golf carts available right in front of us. Very funny but ok maybe they have a system, yes a scam system.

She gave us a tour of the facilities and after she presented numbers and told her that I had to review all documents and payment plans before making a decision, she started getting aggressive and rude telling me that she understood how my low income would make me think twice before moving forward which I guess 11k a month in combined income is low but anyway. I explained to her that this was an investment and that I was not buying a pair of shoes so I had to do my homework before signing any documents. After spending over 3 hours there, remember 90 minute presentation, we kept getting different managers trying to close me.

They were all very lame and your typical sales people, they are your friend at first and when they don't get what they want they treat you like the worst scum on earth. One of the closer told me that we were really wasting their time and that we were dreamers in trying to become owners of this resort, she even said that the jobs we currently held were fake, who says that to a potential owner, buyer, customer, client or member. So disrespectful and extremely RUDE. It is really a shame that we were treated this way, because we were really interested to see what they had to offer but we never expected to be treated this way, the tickets were an added bonus but we were not there for tickets nor the breakfast.

Maybe some people don't mind spending half their day in Orlando for discounted tickets or breakfast but no one should be treated the way my wife and I were treated. I really encourage everyone to stay away from this place and if it's discounted tickets that you are looking for DO NOT go to Westgate Resorts, you will absolutely waste your day, it's just simply not worthy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: July 5, 2018

We have been Westgate owners for over 20 years. We bought at Westgate Smokey Mountain just after it opened. We have used it almost every year since we bought it. We started with a small unit and have upgraded to what now is a 4 bedroom. “YES” they will always try to get you to upgrade every year (That’s their job). For the Smokey Mountain Resort they have always been professional and very little pressure. They have treated us great as owners. Even with the fires we have been able to get the unit we bought. We have been very happy over the years with the Gatlinburg Resort. THIS IS THE REASON FOR THE 5 STARS.

THAT BEING SAID... We have had a few times we have used the Orlando Westgate Resorts. We live in Orlando and decided to do a stay vacation to save money. WHAT A MISTAKE... I don’t know if it’s the same management or not, but they are HORRIBLE. BOTH TIMES WE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. The last stay was at Vacation Villas. I hope nobody buys there. They treat owners like GARBAGE. It took us 4 hrs to check in. They were getting the people who paid $99 rooms way before owners. We weren’t the only owners getting shafted.

After complaining A LOT we are finally given half of our 4 bedroom unit. After 6 HOURS we finally got our other room. They said the whole time they were waiting for it to be inspected. Come to find out it was ready the whole time. NOBODY CHECKED THE FIRST TIME. We also had went and bought groceries because they said it would be ready. That was only the start. Dirty linen, Bad restaurant experience, rude desk people etc. We will never use Orlando Westgate again. Funny how the corporate office is in Orlando and they are the worse of all the resorts.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Me and my family visited Westgate town center villas in Kissimmee on June 24 through July 1, 2018. We had a studio with a king bed and full sized sofa bed! Had to go to Walmart to buy my own sheets! The mattress on the sofa bed was horrible and nasty! 19 inch flat screen tvs and select channels! They supposedly be a top rated resort and this what I got! Freaking unbelievable! Paid all that money not worth it! Then guy name Laurent called and told me I had money in my account and incentives! Didn't have **!

I purchased a week vacation, paid 875.00, they put in an escrow account because I had option to buy and the money would go towards ownership! The lady who sold me got fired. Because she sold a $60,000 timeshare for $6,500 so if I bought they would have to sell for that price because it was in my contract. Nevertheless, they want me to give them back timeshare and sign the 875 over to pay for my week vacation. Gladly because I had no intentions of buying no timeshare with a them. They are liars and doesn't honor or do what they say! I even recommended my cousin and she did tour. When she said no to they was very nasty and lied about the gifts she would get! I wouldn't recommend my dog to stay there! Westgate Resorts sucks!

Original review: June 28, 2018

My family and I were interested in discount tickets to Universal and the hotel recommended we try the "timeshare option". Basically, you listen to a 90 min presentation. If you're interested you buy. If not, you say not and get your free tickets. Simple right? Well prior to going to Westgate, I stumbled on this site and saw countless reviews of people warning people not to do, how their sales tactics are high stress high pressure and how they lie and don't deliver what is promised.

I however did anyway because I figured well even if the tactics were high at the end of the day I would say NO and get my gift. Oh how I wish I had listened. Here is how their scam works: 1. They walk you in with "hundreds" of others to feed you breakfast. 2. They will show you 3 options --- a 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom and a 4 bedroom. 3. They will go from 60k and talk you down to about 15k.

Here is what I wish I'd believed. 1. They don't take NO for an answer. 2. 90 mins is for people who say YES -- we were there for a total of 6 hours while they introduced us to over 3 people to convince us. 3. "Oprah" our sales representative seemed confused and belittled us when we explained we did not want to spent $60k in order to get 2 free tickets to a theme park. 4. She would then say – “I don't understand... why would you not want to OWN instead of renting. That doesn't make any sense!”

Here is what she missed. 1. The interest rate as others revealed in 17.99. 2. If you cancel, they can refund your deposit LESS the value of the free tickets they gave you so DON'T SIGN UP! 3. The deal is overall very bad -- high interest, you pay $1000 a year for HOA and Taxes for a unit that you visit for 6 nights a year and that does not include the price of "ownership". 4. They will say if it doesn't work you can sell it --- well you then have to pay real estate brokerage fees, taxes, recording fees, closing cost and will rarely get what you spent. 5. No does not mean no to them. I got there are 7:15 AM when they opened and didn't leave until after 1PM! 6. When you say no they will belittle you and get short tempered. They started ripping papers up, refuse to get you anything in writing, etc. Stay clear --- these reviews are one because you couldn't select any less.

Original review: June 28, 2018

They scammed me out 12000 dollars. They told me I was getting a two bedroom villa and it was all a lie. I been trying to get my money back and all they do is give me excuses. I need help to get my money back. Westgate should be closed down and everyone should be given their money back.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I went to a Florida Welcome Center in Lake City that had billboards advertising cheap theme park tickets. When we got there, we ended up putting a $60 deposit for 3 2-Day Park to Park tickets to Universal Orlando/Islands of Adventure. Total including the deposit was supposed to be $477. We were told we had to attend a 90 minute presentation that they were doing to get the word out about Westgate Resorts. We were promised a buffet breakfast that they valued at $15.99 also. We ended up spending 5 hours at the resort and still didn't get the tickets. We were assigned one of the "sales representatives" and she sat with us the entire time including while we ate the breakfast. She spent the next probably 4.5 hours trying to get us to buy a timeshare. The APR started at 17.99% and went up from there.

I explained over and over again that I wasn't interested and that I was buying my first house next month and didn't have money to buy something like this and I didn't impulse buy anything. She brought multiple salespeople over to try to convince me, but I didn't sway. The price started out at almost 50k with an almost $800 monthly payment and went all the way down to 10k with an almost $200 monthly payment before they gave up. You have to pay taxes and HOA fees on top of that. Taxes and HOA fees were over $1100 each year.

When I went to get my tickets, they said that I had chosen base tickets, 1 park each day. We called the welcome center and the guy wasn't there that said to call if there was any problem. The price changed from $477 total to $625 total. I was so mad that I was starting to cry. I had wasted almost 5 hours at this place. The only person who wasn't a crook was the lady at the tickets desk. She gave me my deposit back, plus some extra cash because I wasn't able to get the tickets. I went back to the resort I was staying at and used the money to buy tickets from them. I have learned my lesson. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't waste your time. They will not give you what you were promised!

Original review: June 17, 2018

We were offered discounted tickets in Branson if we attended their 90 presentation on their travel club. This discount was good so we figured we could give them 90 minutes in return for about $400 in discounts. We arrived early, as we were advised to do so, and were given a form to fill out. As we filled it out there appeared to be several binding statements that caused me to pause, but we continued because it was a requirement.

Once we were done, I asked the receptionist if I could get a copy. They said it was against their policy. Red flag number 1. I said there were several "binding" statements which could be considered a contract and under state law I am entitled to a copy. They still refused to make me a copy. I kept the form in my hands during the entire process and told them I wanted my wife to double check it first. I got my cell phone out and took a picture of it, just in case someone altered my form later making it invalid.

We were lead into a room with about 20 other couples, each trying to listen to the salesmen. The salesman was a nice guy and told us that no meant no, and there would be no hard sales pitch. We then went into the presentation room and listen to the "stories" about how great they were. They talked down people who go on vacation and stay with friends or relatives. They talked down the local hotels and motels, making a comment about making your coffee in the bathroom. They made it sound like you were an idiot if you didn't take advantage of their deals.

I made a promise to my wife that I would not cause any problems and that we would listen to the presentation and get out of there. This guy was pushing every button I had. He made the mistake when he asked me, "Isn't this the best deal you have ever heard?" I smiled at him and looked over to my wife, who gave me the shut up stare. He repeated his question and I had enough, so I told him it was the dumbest presentation I had ever seen and would be surprised if anyone in the room was dumb enough to take you up on your offer.

He pointed to his slide show where it showed a typical hotel stay in Orlando for a week was $1,200.00. Being a member would cut that cost to $500.00. How is that dumb? I said, "Well... let's do the math. If I went to Orlando every year for 10 years as a nonmember, it would cost me $12,000 (1,200 x 10)... Right?" He said, "Right, but you will only pay $5,000 (500 x 10), saving $7,000! Don't you like staying at nice resorts and saving that much money?" I said, "Sure if it were true." I would pay $5,000 + $7,000 (sign up fee), that would be $12,000... so where is the savings? Oh yeah, let's not forget I would be paying about $300 a year annual membership fees, so we are actually still $3,000 in debt??!! The only real way to "save" is to use your club and go on several trips (4 or more) a year before you would see any real savings.

When the presentation was over, we met with our salesmen again. The original fee was supposed to be $9000 but because I was a veteran, they took $2000 off that price. We could pay 4500 down and pay the rest over 12 months at 17.99%. OMG, are you crazy? I can finance a new car for only 1.9%, why would I want to pay that high interest??? We said this is a firm "NO". He said, "OK, no pressure" and had us wait for his boss. His boss tried to point out the flaws in our thinking and we said, this is a firm "NO". He then told us to sit tight and he brought in someone from corporate. She tried to convince us to sign up too. We will be retiring in 5 years, so we thought... let's see what kind of deals we can talk them into.

I told her, "What if we try out your resorts first. We will stay 5 times, if they live up to your promises and we like them... we will pay the $7000. If we are shut out (no rooms available) or we are not given everything we were promised... the deal is off and we walk away." She could not do that. What if we sign the contract with a provision that you will NEVER raise the annual fees, and doing so would void the contract and they would refund us the $7000. She could not do that. So we said OK, then this is a firm NO. She said OK and closed our visit. I wanted something from her that said we came to the presentation and confirm that we are truly done. She would not provide us with anything. I offered to videotape her saying that we were truly done, and she refused. I finally got the receptionist to give us something saying we had completed the requirements... just in case they tried to charge us for the discounted tickets.

The entire visit was like... give me, give me, give me. They wanted our money, that was the bottom line. I would give you one piece of advice... NEVER attend these things without getting copies of everything you fill out and everything you were promised for attending. Tell any service organization you belong to post a warning for these businesses.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was visiting Orlando, Florida last week and while taking a ride on the I-Ride trolley, this ** young man spoke with about the offer you had an offer to free tickets to a resort. I paid 40 dollars cash in order for me to be at an appointment with the resort the next day, when I explained to him that I was retired and my income will not qualify but he said that it did matter. My granddaughter was with me during this time and was so excited which he knew that help his lie go. I wish it was a law against this because when I got to the resort at the waiting a long. Time for the taxi I was turned down but my money was returned but it just broke my heart and I had to break into charging a fee on my charge card to get my granddaughter to the theme park that he promised.

I love Florida and I heard of bad stories and the young man there at the resort said we always in the news and this is bad for your Resort and I think it's very shameful for someone to do such a thing like that to any human being. This is fair and I am still upset although I'll be back to Florida hopefully another run into anything like this ever again. I feel like it was still a real for a rip-off from not time going out there I spoke to the person in charge but that didn't help any. I just called the corporation about it. I am an honest person and I'm not going to put $50 thousand income knowing that my income was not at the right price when I spoke to the salesman got me there.

Original review: May 29, 2018

When I was in Vegas October/20196 and I bought this travel club package. I was told I could use it on my vacation in the Mediterranean that I planning to do it this year. I make down of $ 2.100.00 dollars and start pay $ 162.50 a very month. They give me $ 3.000.00 dollar card that I could use for my vacations. Now that I made the reservations. I am told I cannot use this card. When they told me that I can used as cash as part of my payment. So far I pay $ 4.862.50 for this package. But since I am no able to use the $3.000.00 dollars card I stop the payments. I am very disappointed with this company and I am requesting my money back and cancelation of contract.

Original review: May 28, 2018

If you hear the word timeshare run. I made the mistake of buying one about 20 years ago. It was every other week so not as bad as others got trapped into. The maintenance fee was ridiculous and I should have trusted my instincts and not bought. I didn't have to pay full price because I kept declining the ridiculous amounts that they were asking for. The first time I used it was fine near Disney in Orlando. Of course they didn't have a space in my resort so I had to pay $160 to move to one of their other properties. It was nice. Cheap ugly furniture and carpet with stupid patterns to resist showing stains. I actually did the vacation with my sister and her family and I had my own room across the hall with a bathroom so it was nice. I had paid for the 3 bedroom one.

Then the next time I used it I used the exchange thing. Which you are forced to join and was about $150 a year and I think Westgate owns it. I had to pay a fee to change about $150 and then they charge me $10 a day to park. It was a nice one bedroom apartment on the beach, but not on the side with ocean views. Then the next time I let my sister use it in Orlando. They only let her had a 2/2 even though I paid for a 3/2 and she was using my account and I paid a transfer fee because they said there was no availability and then a guest fee so like $350 extra. I went to visit them since I was in Florida. It was okay. The pool looked like Madea was having a family reunion.

After that I stopped paying. The maintenance fee is a scam. How can it cost $1000 a week to maintain a place where the mortgage would not even be $52K a year. It's like everyone is paying to rebuy their property every year. They are making a profit on what they call maintenance and a lot of it. I won't give them a dollar and they better pray they don't ever do a deed in lieu or anything to my credit or I will start a huge class action lawsuit against them. Anyway I moved and if they call never admit you own anything. Just deny. Eventually I'm hoping the statute of limitations will take over.

This is how worthless their properties are. Even after you have paid for the entire thing they won't take it back for free because they are profiting on the maintenance and they know the timeshare is worthless. Even a car lender and a mortgage holder take back their properties if you stop paying. Imagine if you paid for the car and the house and they don't want them back, that's how worthless they know the timeshares are. Hopefully one day they will be run out of business. At least David Siegel got some Karma when his neglected daughter died of an overdose. He has a lot more Karma ahead for all the worry and misery he has caused so many people.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We bought the $4000 vacation thinking it would be fine for the 2 of us. Have had it a year and not had a chance to use it. Tried to use it today for one of the 3 day 'EVENTS' in Branson. Got told that we were not real owners that we were just a 'TRAVEL PARTNER - it's like we are just on a free trial'. Was told that all the emails we have been getting about these events were not open to 'travel partners'. We could get a full week at the resort for the $500 but the resort is fully booked. Not once when they were sucking us in did they say this was just a trial basis. They said we would have access to everything. Bluegreen scammed us a few years ago and darned if we didn't get it again. We are done with all of these. I gave them 1 star because the system would not let me do anything less.

Original review: May 19, 2018

My husband and I bought an $800+ vacation to travel out of the US for our honeymoon. We were told we had two years to use the package and so we were going to book a trip UNTIL we were informed that the trip out of the country was not possible as it expired 10 days before we called to book. I was upset but we then decided to book another trip and picked Gatlinburg. Called and of course we cannot book it so when we got on the website and looked at it they had openings, but only open to the public and 8 days and 7 nights was only $369.95 and we could not even get us prepaid $800 trip. They offered us vouchers and this and that. But if we try to book well it is only on the off season or more money. IT IS A SCAM!

Original review: May 9, 2018

My husband and our five children took a vacation to Disney the week of April 7. Foolishly, we decided to do a Westgate tour thinking we were getting into something good. I regret this. This trip was to celebrate Autism Awareness Month and what is sad is we made our special needs child sit through this presentation even though he was having a meltdown. The entire time, Julia, the tour guide knew our son’s autistic. She went on about having a nephew with autism. The property Julia took us to look really nice. We were pleased with what we saw. We explained to her that we would like to travel more, but it is hard with a child with autism. He needs space to run. She convinced us a timeshare would better fit his needs than a hotel. We told her we are from Miami, FL and going back to Miami would be great for us. We would have family that can help us care of him. She told us Miami had two locations.

After the tour, Julia made us an offer for $24,000 and we told her we couldn’t afford it. Then she said they could drop the interest. We still said no. Then she said she could drop us to $9,000. We said with having a special needs child we couldn’t afford it. Then she got Ben **, her manager to come over to talk to us. Our son was screaming to the top of his lungs by then. Our other kids weren’t doing well. Ben said, “Let me go through this with you fast. I can have you guys "try" our resorts and you don’t have to buy into anything. Try it 4x at $299 for a week and it will only cost you $845. If you don't like it you don't have to buy.” My husband was against it, but I thought it was a good deal. I said okay. “So I can go to Miami?” I asked him. I explained to him that it would be nice to be able to go back home.

He showed us the card that had Westgate Resorts (not a third party resort) and said, “You can book Miami 4x times if you want, you can go to Gatlinburg Tennessee, you can come back to Orlando, FL.” Stupid me thought, “Oh my God this would be great.” As a mom to a special needs kid, I don’t get a break on vacations. It is work 24/7. The idea of our family in Miami being able to come to us and hang out, help out with our son would be great. He said, “I know you are in a hurry. Just sign here, sign here, and here so we can get you out of here.” He said, “Once you pay the first $200 you would be able to book. I place the 4 gifts in this packet (for Westgate Resorts) and you can come back to Orlando one more time so that is 5 vacations.” I signed. I paid the $75 deposit and today the $125 came out of my account.

I finally paid the first $200. I was excited. I open the packet and get ready to book a vacation and I see that they are with a myvacationweek.com. All the resorts he showed on the ad aren’t available as options. They are all third party resorts associated with WR and not actual Westgate Resorts. I thought I was wrong so I went down to Nov and still nowhere that says Miami is on there. I just realized that I got scammed. How do you have the decency to scam a person that has a screaming child with autism in their hand? A child that could barely stay for the presentation. A family of seven. We were fools to think he cared. We were fools to think Julia cared. They wouldn’t lie to us, but they did. I would love to cancel this agreement and get all of my money back. but they are saying you signed on the dotted line. If Westgate felt it was necessary to keep my money go ahead and keep the $75 and allow us to get our $125 back and cancel the rest.

Please just cancel the contract. Take back your gifts. I haven’t used them. I don’t care for using them. I cannot afford to vacation somewhere where we wouldn’t get any help with our son. It is hard enough having 5 kids. We cannot take him to Arizona or Cali from SC. Please have some heart, morals, and values, and please just cancel this. How can people go to sleep knowing that they are scamming people and hurting them for a quick sale? My son did nothing to Ben or Julia to get them to use him as a puppet in their scheme. They both kept reminding us how great this would be for him. He would have the space, he would be near family, and this doesn’t force us to buy.

Original review: May 6, 2018

BEWARE!!! Before booking with Westgate Resort in Orlando, Florida, DO YOUR RESEARCH. My room was pretty. New furniture, new paint in areas, somewhat clean sheets on the beds. I opened the refrigerator and there was blood spilled in the bottom that looks to come from meat. I went into the Master bedroom and there was hair in the bed. I checked the jacuzzi and the shower and there was dirt that looked as if someone was walking inside of it with their shoes on. The jacuzzi also has hair inside of it. The shower had mildew stains on the edge of the glass door and underneath the glass door along the tile. The toilet had stains around the bottom of it and the back of the floor along with large rust stains. I thought maybe the pee stains were from the rust but the smell stated otherwise.

After one hour of touring the room and calling downstairs, a guest opened the door and walked in our room. My husband asked them may he help them and they said that our room was their room. We called downstairs and was told that they accidentally programmed the other guest's keys with our room access. They were suppose to send someone up with new keys but no one came after 2 hours so we went down and got new keys.

We attended the tour on 05/05/2018 and our sales rep (Mohammed) looked like he was drunk or high. He had an accent but he spoke with a drag in his voice. He barely made eye contact with us. He had wandering eyes to the point we made a joke about it to him and he laughed about it. No woman could pass him without him checking her out. This man was a complete joke. He had ABSOLUTELY NO SALES EXPERIENCE. I honestly did not think he was into the sale. I had told this man several times I was not interested in purchasing. He took it personally and said that we should not be online searching for cheap resorts and then attend the tour and not buy anything.

First off, we did not search online for this deal. We were called a few times and received emails with the deal. I do not attend the tours because I attended one before and hated it in 2009. He pre-judged us and said that because of people like us, he has friends that lost their jobs because they spend a lot of money on the presentations and people like us do not buy anything. I thought I was being punked on TV. This guy was unbelievable. I explained to him that I have an annual pass to Disney and we enjoy going several times a year. He called himself adding up what it would cost us to travel in the next 10 years and compared the numbers to what he was offering us which was for 1 week, a year and the maintenance would be $1000 a year. He called that a free vacation that I am preparing for. What an **. Please tell me that you get the math. We did not receive a survey like he claimed we would in the end. Guess why?

Original review: May 2, 2018

Do not purchase anything from Westgate. They are this most deceptive corrupt organization that I have ever dealt with. They lie, coerce, and will not work with you in any way. I was told so many untrue things by the person selling me a "pre-paid vacation". They told me the room would be identical to the one I stayed in - this is a lie. Most of their resorts do not accommodate 8 guests. Also I tried to reject the offer based on reviews that said the condos were impossible to book. They refuted that claim and said you would be fine if you didn't book last minute. I tried booking 10 months in advance and could not get anything. I wasted $1300 because I will never be able to use the package. I tried to cancel because I entered into the agreement on false pretenses. They wrote me a letter back that basically said, "Buzz off." I can't believe they are still in business and the FTC has not shut them down for consumer fraud.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Stay Far Away from these LIAR, THIEVES, CRIMINAL, DEVILS! You can NOT trust them or anything they say. They will trick you and deceive you in the contract after you are tired. Their evil game is to keep you there and wear you down and then you sign to get out of there. Does this sound like a vacation? They ruined my entire vacation. I would never again fall for these scum of hell, liar, devil, thieves! They do not honor anything they say.

It is suppose to be a 90 minute presentation. Yet their evil plan is a 3-4 hour interview of your personal life. They won't even give you their last name yet they know your name, address, credit card info. They are vile and these criminal creatures should be shut down to protect the public consumer! Whatever they offer as a gift it isn't worth the suffering they will inflict on you and losses. You should run far away and slam the phone down when these creatures telemarket you. And yes they will sell your name and try to sell your soul. They are absolute Vile MONSTERS!

Original review: April 21, 2018

Have been an owner at the Westgate Villas in Kissimmee, Florida for years. Bought the timeshare from my father to take it off his hands. Westgate does not care about owners. The annual fees go up every year. Exchanges cost almost as much as the annual fees. The last few times I've been my family and I have been shunted over to the older, less maintained units at the edges of the resort. They will not tell you about which unit you will get when you book.

The pools haven't been very clean. I'm too embarrassed to ever take guests or extended family. There is no market for resale. And owners who purchase from other owners get screwed because any controls in the original contract are voided on resale to a third party allowing them to increase all fees at will. I am presently contemplating the only way out which is to pay a thousand dollars or so to have Westgate take the timeshare off my hands. Can't imagine that anyone who knows anything about this operation would buy a timeshare from them.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We were going to stay; however, we initially was given a price of $69 per night as first time stayers. After we started booking, price jumped to $139! Talked to chat representative, they were very rude and I would not stay there if they paid me! Stay away from Westgate SCAMMERS, BAIT AND SWITCH!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Rooms are disgusting, found bugs. Rooms are so outdated and dirty. Staff were so clueless and not willing to help in anyway. Manager was nowhere to be found and we kept getting the runaround. Will NEVER stay here again. Will warn people of this misinformed info on their website. Please do your thorough research before booking. Save yourself the headaches! It’s not worth it at all!

Original review: March 20, 2018

My Family and I were visitors from out of state and we stopped to purchase Universal Studio tickets and was told all we had to do was listen to a 90 min presentation to get the discounts. Well we listen and toured the property for 2 hours and at the end when I denied purchasing a timeshare for $40000 they didn't wanna give me my discount on the tickets. They scam people into listening to them and try and pressure them to purchase right away. But not me. I'll never refer anyone to Westgate Resorts.

Original review: March 9, 2018

We went to a 90 minute seminar in Gatlinburg last year 2017 and was convinced that joining their Travel Club was a great deal. They took us to one of the beautiful condos and was told that we would be able to stay in these and also one of their cabins once they were rebuilt from the Fire that burnt half of Gatlinburg. They made it sound so amazing that we would be able to book our vacations and would only have to pay $500.00 for a 7 night 8 day vacation at their resorts. I have called numerous times trying to book our vacation and every time we are told that from May through the end of September is blackout dates. So what they are telling me is that we can only travel during the winter months, well I'm sorry I don't want to go to the beach in the snow. The last time I was told that we could stay in one of the hotels in October and November in Myrtle Beach, but there was no Resorts available.

We are paying a monthly fee for this package and for what? It's time to go to speak to an attorney and have this cancelled. I'm not paying for a package that I cannot enjoy. People if you get one of those cards in the mail or an email or even a phone call offering you a 2 night stay in some nice resort as long as you go to their 90 minute seminar don't do it. It is a scam and a joke. Very disappointed and will be glad to get it cancelled. I can use that money for more important things like a real vacation for the dates and time I want to take.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My husband, 2 kids and I decided to take a trip to Orlando this year, we paid for it last year for a "discounted rate" so long as we sat through their "90 minute" presentation the day before we checked out. When we arrived at the resort we were sent from one counter to another to another, only after they were momentarily unable to find our reservation. Then over to our room, which was really nice... Except the extreme lack of water pressure in both showers. The resort is very well maintained. We were there 7 days and the room was cleaned and replenished with clean towels every day. However, don't try to communicate with the cleaning staff with English because they are unable to understand much of anything in English.

Unfortunately, we learned that as "guests" you do not get free WiFi, in fact it is like $9.99 per day. Also, the resort has a water park area, which unless you are an "owner" it is $20 per person per day. This means that me, my husband, my 2 year old and 6 year old would have spent $80 to spend an hour or 2 in their little water park, I'm NO! We did spend time in the pool that was the closest to our room and it was nice.

So, it comes to the day that we have to be at our "90 minute" presentation at 11:00 am. We arrived early, and again was sent to area after area. Once the correct person was made aware that we were there, No one came out to get us, by now it is 8 or 10 minutes into our "90 minute" presentation, right? Again, no. Eventually a man came out and greeted us, so my husband said "come on" to us. The man said to him, "you said come on, I didnt" as if he too wasn't there to get us and get this started.

Becoming impatient and agitated my husband let the man know that they were late getting it started, not us. The man went and got another lady. She came out acting as though she was concerned with our agitation. My husband explained that they were late and we had other plans at 1:00 which was 120 minutes from our 11:00 am appt. Her words let us know that they really had no intentions of us being done by 1:00. Nevertheless she led us upstairs and directed us to eat breakfast while we waited. We didn't want to wait longer and shouldn't have.

Eventually a kid named "Austin" came over. He claimed that he worked there but was not a typical commission based sales rep. He claimed he was sent to us because we had other issues and they wanted to try to make it right. He moved into his scripted sales pitch trying to explain why buying a timeshare With Westgate for $75,000 was a great idea... He broke it down step by step, but obviously we declined. So then his script changes to the fact the manager was his uncle and because we had issues previously he was going to talk with his uncle and see if he could find something much cheaper "just for us". He left and came back with this supposed uncle manager... Who miraculously had a timeshare that we could purchase a "deed" to for $6000 as opposed to $75,000. They also said that it was an every other year own, which only meant we didn't have to pay the $1000 maintained fees and taxes but every other year.

The ridiculously scripted presentation told us that there was absolutely no reason not to do the every other year option. I never made any sense out of it, but we did toss the idea around because through their BS ways they were able to get the down payment to $300 and then we didn't have to make a $1000 fee payment until at least 2019, maybe even 2020. As a family we travel A LOT and spend a lot on lodging throughout the year. But this would start a 124$ payment. Austin was over pleased that we were considering it. He was like a kid in a candy store and he bounced off to draw up the paperwork.

Come to find out the "deed" was being drawn up for a room at their other location in Orlando that was not like a resort. It was more like a hotel. Stop! Austin kept saying, "But you can stay anywhere so why does it matter??" Well it matters because this is a step in purchasing. He said "that is how we were able to find a cheaper one for you in your price range". Then why is it cheaper Austin!?! That is when we said NO for what we thought was a final time.

Lo and behold they sent yet another rep over to try to talk us into starting payments on our next vacation with them for like $2,500. Wth! It was neverending. She wouldn't hardly take no for an answer either. Her scripted crap also didn't consider with theirs, which was humorous. They need to spend a little more time getting it in line because whatever poor saps make the decision to fall for it will want to see consistency. The bottom line here is that, if it was a great thing to "own" one of these resorts, they wouldn't have to beg.

When everything was a definite no 3 hours later :(, Austin's whole demeanor changed. It changed so fast and completely the other direction to the point where he went from happy and saying they would hold the deal for us and give my husband his cell phone number to an adult like temper tantrum in which he no longer wanted to do anything for us. All of a sudden he wasn't going to be around the next day and had to ask someone when they got off that day. It was some seriously interesting circus acts. They do a good job of making you feel super pressured and make it sound like an opportunity you shouldn't pass up, but do the math people! And like I said, if it was an winning situation for the consumer they wouldn't be begging hundreds of families a day for 3-4 hours at a time. Use it for discounts, but please don't fall for it.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I went online and requested a reservation in Orlando for a resort stay at $89 for 4 days and 3 nights. I filled out the information and gave them a credit card to charge. Three days later I got a call saying that my card was declined. I called my bank and was told that the first charge was approved and showed as pending, but the second, third and fourth attempts to charge my card for the same amount were declined due to possible fraud. When I confronted Jamie at the "Orlando Tourist Information Bureau" I was told that the card wad declined an additional time and he would wait a few days before submitting it again. I told him I considered that fraud and to cancel my reservation request and reverse the charge on my card. I also informed my bank about this and requested that they contact me if any more attempts were made to charge me. Since they deny that the charge was ever approved I will have to wait and see.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I've been officially bounced between 5 departments and every person I talk to cannot help or simply has no customer support skills to actually go beyond their script. I have been trying to get simple information about packages with park tickets. You so mention the word "tickets" and they immediately want to transfer you to the park to not deal with people. Once finally on the right department, the lady would not want to go out of her robotic script to really help me find information about SALES! 20 minute wait, then 25 on hold, then another 30 on wait... HORRIBLE! And after the last long wait, they friggin hung up! Oh yeah, that last lady also said I used "profanity" because I said "friggin". Haha what a joke. No wonder so many people run away from this timeshare circus!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

The sales rep we had was super nice and that is why we bought something from him because we felt bad for him but it was the biggest mistake I have made in terms of vacation packages and planning (I have made some bad choices over the years of places to stay). We saw that Park City Utah was on the list of places to go (not during ski season which is fine because my wife does not like to ski anyway) and my wife always had wanted to go see the Salt Lake area. So then I called in to try to make my reservation 4-6 months ahead of time, we got a room and when I gave them my package number they told me, "You have the wrong department." They then transferred me to another department in which they told me that they have no inventory available for that department.

I told him there was a ton of things online and they went to say how every department has their own inventory of space; in other words, "If you are a timeshare holder or purchased a package in advance you already know how shady of a company we are so we have 90% of inventory open for new clients that we can scam and waste time with and then only 10% open for you" (I don't know if the % is right but you get the point). So then I asked what dates they had open for May, June or July and they told me they are book for all those months and that I should have booked a year in advance. Are you kidding me? So then when I tried to talk to a manager about it they said it was a long process and that if I wanted to spend another $600 a book a luxury suite and wouldn't have to deal with the hassle and I could get any night I wanted for those 3 months.

Needless to say that was the same price I was looking at online for the room they were describing to me. I don't even want to stay at any of these places anymore. I rather just eat the money and go somewhere else. I am just going to consider it loss and never step foot in one of these places again. I will sleep in my car before I ever give this place a penny of my money again. RUN FAR FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

This is a scam. Please please don't buy anything from these people. They took advantage of me, sold me lies when they saw me alone with my young son. I told them I was a single mother and couldn't spend extra money on timeshare but they pushed and made millions of promises. Now 8 years later, every time I try to use the week I bought, they give me one reason or another, it's either not available or I have to pay $500 to use it. I don't know how people can live with themselves while stealing the hard earned money of struggling people who just want to give their kids a nice vacation once in a while. I cannot wait for their day in court. I cannot wait for someone to ruin them. Shame shame shame.

Westgate Resorts expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

• Best for: Travelers with a favorite vacation destination, young professionals with disposable income and large families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs