1.17/5
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover a great timeshare now

Last updated: May 19, 2018

588 Westgate Resorts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

My husband and I bought an $800+ vacation to travel out of the US for our honeymoon. We were told we had two years to use the package and so we were going to book a trip UNTIL we were informed that the trip out of the country was not possible as it expired 10 days before we called to book. I was upset but we then decided to book another trip and picked Gatlinburg. Called and of course we cannot book it so when we got on the website and looked at it they had openings, but only open to the public and 8 days and 7 nights was only $369.95 and we could not even get us prepaid $800 trip. They offered us vouchers and this and that. But if we try to book well it is only on the off season or more money. IT IS A SCAM!

Original review: May 9, 2018

My husband and our five children took a vacation to Disney the week of April 7. Foolishly, we decided to do a Westgate tour thinking we were getting into something good. I regret this. This trip was to celebrate Autism Awareness Month and what is sad is we made our special needs child sit through this presentation even though he was having a meltdown. The entire time, Julia, the tour guide knew our son’s autistic. She went on about having a nephew with autism. The property Julia took us to look really nice. We were pleased with what we saw. We explained to her that we would like to travel more, but it is hard with a child with autism. He needs space to run. She convinced us a timeshare would better fit his needs than a hotel. We told her we are from Miami, FL and going back to Miami would be great for us. We would have family that can help us care of him. She told us Miami had two locations.

After the tour, Julia made us an offer for $24,000 and we told her we couldn’t afford it. Then she said they could drop the interest. We still said no. Then she said she could drop is to $9,000. We said with having a special needs child we couldn’t afford it. Then she got Ben **, her manager to come over to talk to us. Our son was screaming to the top of his lungs by then. Our other kids weren’t doing well. Ben said, “Let me go through this with you fast. I can have you guys "try" our resorts and you don’t have to buy into anything. Try it 4x at $299 for a week and it will only cost you $845. If you don't like it you don't have to buy.” My husband was against it, but I thought it was a good deal. I said okay. “So I can go to Miami?” I asked him. I explained to him that it would be nice to be able to go back home.

He showed us the card that had Westgate Resorts (not a third party resort) and said, “You can book Miami 4x times if you want, you can go to Gatlinburg Tennessee, you can come back to Orlando, FL.” Stupid me thought, “Oh my God this would be great.” As a mom to a special needs kid, I don’t get a break on vacations. It is work 24/7. The idea of our family in Miami being able to come to us and hang out, help out with our son would be great. He said, “I know you are in a hurry. Just sign here, sign here, and here so we can get you out of here.” He said, “Once you pay the first $200 you would be able to book. I place the 4 gifts in this packet (for Westgate Resorts) and you can come back to Orlando one more time so that is 5 vacations.” I signed. I paid the $75 deposit and today the $125 came out of my account.

I finally paid the first $200. I was excited. I open the packet and get ready to book a vacation and I see that they are with a myvacationweek.com. All the resorts he showed on the ad aren’t available as options. They are all third party resorts associated with WR and not actual Westgate Resorts. I thought I was wrong so I went down to Nov and still nowhere that says Miami is on there. I just realized that I got scammed. How do you have the decency to scam a person that has a screaming child with autism in their hand? A child that could barely stay for the presentation. A family of seven. We were fools to think he cared. We were fools to think Julia cared. They wouldn’t lie to us, but they did. I would love to cancel this agreement and get all of my money back. but they are saying you signed on the dotted line. If Westgate felt it was necessary to keep my money go ahead and keep the $75 and allow us to get our $125 back and cancel the rest.

Please just cancel the contract. Take back your gifts. I haven’t used them. I don’t care for using them. I cannot afford to vacation somewhere where we wouldn’t get any help with our son. It is hard enough having 5 kids. We cannot take him to Arizona or Cali from SC. Please have some heart, morals, and values, and please just cancel this. How can people go to sleep knowing that they are scamming people and hurting them for a quick sale? My son did nothing to Ben or Julia to get them to use him as a puppet in their scheme. They both kept reminding us how great this would be for him. He would have the space, he would be near family, and this doesn’t force us to buy.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2018

BEWARE!!! Before booking with Westgate Resort in Orlando, Florida, DO YOUR RESEARCH. My room was pretty. New furniture, new paint in areas, somewhat clean sheets on the beds. I opened the refrigerator and there was blood spilled in the bottom that looks to come from meat. I went into the Master bedroom and there was hair in the bed. I checked the jacuzzi and the shower and there was dirt that looked as if someone was walking inside of it with their shoes on. The jacuzzi also has hair inside of it. The shower had mildew stains on the edge of the glass door and underneath the glass door along the tile. The toilet had stains around the bottom of it and the back of the floor along with large rust stains. I thought maybe the pee stains were from the rust but the smell stated otherwise.

After one hour of touring the room and calling downstairs, a guest opened the door and walked in our room. My husband asked them may he help them and they said that our room was their room. We called downstairs and was told that they accidentally programmed the other guest's keys with our room access. They were suppose to send someone up with new keys but no one came after 2 hours so we went down and got new keys.

We attended the tour on 05/05/2018 and our sales rep (Mohammed) looked like he was drunk or high. He had an accent but he spoke with a drag in his voice. He barely made eye contact with us. He had wandering eyes to the point we made a joke about it to him and he laughed about it. No woman could pass him without him checking her out. This man was a complete joke. He had ABSOLUTELY NO SALES EXPERIENCE. I honestly did not think he was into the sale. I had told this man several times I was not interested in purchasing. He took it personally and said that we should not be online searching for cheap resorts and then attend the tour and not buy anything.

First off, we did not search online for this deal. We were called a few times and received emails with the deal. I do not attend the tours because I attended one before and hated it in 2009. He pre-judged us and said that because of people like us, he has friends that lost their jobs because they spend a lot of money on the presentations and people like us do not buy anything. I thought I was being punked on TV. This guy was unbelievable. I explained to him that I have an annual pass to Disney and we enjoy going several times a year. He called himself adding up what it would cost us to travel in the next 10 years and compared the numbers to what he was offering us which was for 1 week, a year and the maintenance would be $1000 a year. He called that a free vacation that I am preparing for. What an **. Please tell me that you get the math. We did not receive a survey like he claimed we would in the end. Guess why?

Original review: May 2, 2018

Do not purchase anything from Westgate. They are this most deceptive corrupt organization that I have ever dealt with. They lie, coerce, and will not work with you in any way. I was told so many untrue things by the person selling me a "pre-paid vacation". They told me the room would be identical to the one I stayed in - this is a lie. Most of their resorts do not accommodate 8 guests. Also I tried to reject the offer based on reviews that said the condos were impossible to book. They refuted that claim and said you would be fine if you didn't book last minute. I tried booking 10 months in advance and could not get anything. I wasted $1300 because I will never be able to use the package. I tried to cancel because I entered into the agreement on false pretenses. They wrote me a letter back that basically said, "Buzz off." I can't believe they are still in business and the FTC has not shut them down for consumer fraud.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Stay Far Away from these LIAR, THIEVES, CRIMINAL, DEVILS! You can NOT trust them or anything they say. They will trick you and deceive you in the contract after you are tired. Their evil game is to keep you there and wear you down and then you sign to get out of there. Does this sound like a vacation? They ruined my entire vacation. I would never again fall for these scum of hell, liar, devil, thieves! They do not honor anything they say.

It is suppose to be a 90 minute presentation. Yet their evil plan is a 3-4 hour interview of your personal life. They won't even give you their last name yet they know your name, address, credit card info. They are vile and these criminal creatures should be shut down to protect the public consumer! Whatever they offer as a gift it isn't worth the suffering they will inflict on you and losses. You should run far away and slam the phone down when these creatures telemarket you. And yes they will sell your name and try to sell your soul. They are absolute Vile MONSTERS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: April 21, 2018

Have been an owner at the Westgate Villas in Kissimmee, Florida for years. Bought the timeshare from my father to take it off his hands. Westgate does not care about owners. The annual fees go up every year. Exchanges cost almost as much as the annual fees. The last few times I've been my family and I have been shunted over to the older, less maintained units at the edges of the resort. They will not tell you about which unit you will get when you book.

The pools haven't been very clean. I'm too embarrassed to ever take guests or extended family. There is no market for resale. And owners who purchase from other owners get screwed because any controls in the original contract are voided on resale to a third party allowing them to increase all fees at will. I am presently contemplating the only way out which is to pay a thousand dollars or so to have Westgate take the timeshare off my hands. Can't imagine that anyone who knows anything about this operation would buy a timeshare from them.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We were going to stay; however, we initially was given a price of $69 per night as first time stayers. After we started booking, price jumped to $139! Talked to chat representative, they were very rude and I would not stay there if they paid me! Stay away from Westgate SCAMMERS, BAIT AND SWITCH!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Rooms are disgusting, found bugs. Rooms are so outdated and dirty. Staff were so clueless and not willing to help in anyway. Manager was nowhere to be found and we kept getting the runaround. Will NEVER stay here again. Will warn people of this misinformed info on their website. Please do your thorough research before booking. Save yourself the headaches! It’s not worth it at all!

Original review: March 20, 2018

My Family and I were visitors from out of state and we stopped to purchase Universal Studio tickets and was told all we had to do was listen to a 90 min presentation to get the discounts. Well we listen and toured the property for 2 hours and at the end when I denied purchasing a timeshare for $40000 they didn't wanna give me my discount on the tickets. They scam people into listening to them and try and pressure them to purchase right away. But not me. I'll never refer anyone to Westgate Resorts.

Original review: March 9, 2018

We went to a 90 minute seminar in Gatlinburg last year 2017 and was convinced that joining their Travel Club was a great deal. They took us to one of the beautiful condos and was told that we would be able to stay in these and also one of their cabins once they were rebuilt from the Fire that burnt half of Gatlinburg. They made it sound so amazing that we would be able to book our vacations and would only have to pay $500.00 for a 7 night 8 day vacation at their resorts. I have called numerous times trying to book our vacation and every time we are told that from May through the end of September is blackout dates. So what they are telling me is that we can only travel during the winter months, well I'm sorry I don't want to go to the beach in the snow. The last time I was told that we could stay in one of the hotels in October and November in Myrtle Beach, but there was no Resorts available.

We are paying a monthly fee for this package and for what? It's time to go to speak to an attorney and have this cancelled. I'm not paying for a package that I cannot enjoy. People if you get one of those cards in the mail or an email or even a phone call offering you a 2 night stay in some nice resort as long as you go to their 90 minute seminar don't do it. It is a scam and a joke. Very disappointed and will be glad to get it cancelled. I can use that money for more important things like a real vacation for the dates and time I want to take.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My husband, 2 kids and I decided to take a trip to Orlando this year, we paid for it last year for a "discounted rate" so long as we sat through their "90 minute" presentation the day before we checked out. When we arrived at the resort we were sent from one counter to another to another, only after they were momentarily unable to find our reservation. Then over to our room, which was really nice... Except the extreme lack of water pressure in both showers. The resort is very well maintained. We were there 7 days and the room was cleaned and replenished with clean towels every day. However, don't try to communicate with the cleaning staff with English because they are unable to understand much of anything in English.

Unfortunately, we learned that as "guests" you do not get free WiFi, in fact it is like $9.99 per day. Also, the resort has a water park area, which unless you are an "owner" it is $20 per person per day. This means that me, my husband, my 2 year old and 6 year old would have spent $80 to spend an hour or 2 in their little water park, I'm NO! We did spend time in the pool that was the closest to our room and it was nice.

So, it comes to the day that we have to be at our "90 minute" presentation at 11:00 am. We arrived early, and again was sent to area after area. Once the correct person was made aware that we were there, No one came out to get us, by now it is 8 or 10 minutes into our "90 minute" presentation, right? Again, no. Eventually a man came out and greeted us, so my husband said "come on" to us. The man said to him, "you said come on, I didnt" as if he too wasn't there to get us and get this started.

Becoming impatient and agitated my husband let the man know that they were late getting it started, not us. The man went and got another lady. She came out acting as though she was concerned with our agitation. My husband explained that they were late and we had other plans at 1:00 which was 120 minutes from our 11:00 am appt. Her words let us know that they really had no intentions of us being done by 1:00. Nevertheless she led us upstairs and directed us to eat breakfast while we waited. We didn't want to wait longer and shouldn't have.

Eventually a kid named "Austin" came over. He claimed that he worked there but was not a typical commission based sales rep. He claimed he was sent to us because we had other issues and they wanted to try to make it right. He moved into his scripted sales pitch trying to explain why buying a timeshare With Westgate for $75,000 was a great idea... He broke it down step by step, but obviously we declined. So then his script changes to the fact the manager was his uncle and because we had issues previously he was going to talk with his uncle and see if he could find something much cheaper "just for us". He left and came back with this supposed uncle manager... Who miraculously had a timeshare that we could purchase a "deed" to for $6000 as opposed to $75,000. They also said that it was an every other year own, which only meant we didn't have to pay the $1000 maintained fees and taxes but every other year.

The ridiculously scripted presentation told us that there was absolutely no reason not to do the every other year option. I never made any sense out of it, but we did toss the idea around because through their BS ways they were able to get the down payment to $300 and then we didn't have to make a $1000 fee payment until at least 2019, maybe even 2020. As a family we travel A LOT and spend a lot on lodging throughout the year. But this would start a 124$ payment. Austin was over pleased that we were considering it. He was like a kid in a candy store and he bounced off to draw up the paperwork.

Come to find out the "deed" was being drawn up for a room at their other location in Orlando that was not like a resort. It was more like a hotel. Stop! Austin kept saying, "But you can stay anywhere so why does it matter??" Well it matters because this is a step in purchasing. He said "that is how we were able to find a cheaper one for you in your price range". Then why is it cheaper Austin!?! That is when we said NO for what we thought was a final time.

Lo and behold they sent yet another rep over to try to talk us into starting payments on our next vacation with them for like $2,500. Wth! It was neverending. She wouldn't hardly take no for an answer either. Her scripted crap also didn't consider with theirs, which was humorous. They need to spend a little more time getting it in line because whatever poor saps make the decision to fall for it will want to see consistency. The bottom line here is that, if it was a great thing to "own" one of these resorts, they wouldn't have to beg.

When everything was a definite no 3 hours later :(, Austin's whole demeanor changed. It changed so fast and completely the other direction to the point where he went from happy and saying they would hold the deal for us and give my husband his cell phone number to an adult like temper tantrum in which he no longer wanted to do anything for us. All of a sudden he wasn't going to be around the next day and had to ask someone when they got off that day. It was some seriously interesting circus acts. They do a good job of making you feel super pressured and make it sound like an opportunity you shouldn't pass up, but do the math people! And like I said, if it was an winning situation for the consumer they wouldn't be begging hundreds of families a day for 3-4 hours at a time. Use it for discounts, but please don't fall for it.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I went online and requested a reservation in Orlando for a resort stay at $89 for 4 days and 3 nights. I filled out the information and gave them a credit card to charge. Three days later I got a call saying that my card was declined. I called my bank and was told that the first charge was approved and showed as pending, but the second, third and fourth attempts to charge my card for the same amount were declined due to possible fraud. When I confronted Jamie at the "Orlando Tourist Information Bureau" I was told that the card wad declined an additional time and he would wait a few days before submitting it again. I told him I considered that fraud and to cancel my reservation request and reverse the charge on my card. I also informed my bank about this and requested that they contact me if any more attempts were made to charge me. Since they deny that the charge was ever approved I will have to wait and see.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I've been officially bounced between 5 departments and every person I talk to cannot help or simply has no customer support skills to actually go beyond their script. I have been trying to get simple information about packages with park tickets. You so mention the word "tickets" and they immediately want to transfer you to the park to not deal with people. Once finally on the right department, the lady would not want to go out of her robotic script to really help me find information about SALES! 20 minute wait, then 25 on hold, then another 30 on wait... HORRIBLE! And after the last long wait, they friggin hung up! Oh yeah, that last lady also said I used "profanity" because I said "friggin". Haha what a joke. No wonder so many people run away from this timeshare circus!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

The sales rep we had was super nice and that is why we bought something from him because we felt bad for him but it was the biggest mistake I have made in terms of vacation packages and planning (I have made some bad choices over the years of places to stay). We saw that Park City Utah was on the list of places to go (not during ski season which is fine because my wife does not like to ski anyway) and my wife always had wanted to go see the Salt Lake area. So then I called in to try to make my reservation 4-6 months ahead of time, we got a room and when I gave them my package number they told me, "You have the wrong department." They then transferred me to another department in which they told me that they have no inventory available for that department.

I told him there was a ton of things online and they went to say how every department has their own inventory of space; in other words, "If you are a timeshare holder or purchased a package in advance you already know how shady of a company we are so we have 90% of inventory open for new clients that we can scam and waste time with and then only 10% open for you" (I don't know if the % is right but you get the point). So then I asked what dates they had open for May, June or July and they told me they are book for all those months and that I should have booked a year in advance. Are you kidding me? So then when I tried to talk to a manager about it they said it was a long process and that if I wanted to spend another $600 a book a luxury suite and wouldn't have to deal with the hassle and I could get any night I wanted for those 3 months.

Needless to say that was the same price I was looking at online for the room they were describing to me. I don't even want to stay at any of these places anymore. I rather just eat the money and go somewhere else. I am just going to consider it loss and never step foot in one of these places again. I will sleep in my car before I ever give this place a penny of my money again. RUN FAR FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

This is a scam. Please please don't buy anything from these people. They took advantage of me, sold me lies when they saw me alone with my young son. I told them I was a single mother and couldn't spend extra money on timeshare but they pushed and made millions of promises. Now 8 years later, every time I try to use the week I bought, they give me one reason or another, it's either not available or I have to pay $500 to use it. I don't know how people can live with themselves while stealing the hard earned money of struggling people who just want to give their kids a nice vacation once in a while. I cannot wait for their day in court. I cannot wait for someone to ruin them. Shame shame shame.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Westgate (over 7 years an owner), yes is a rip off! The complaints made by all the various people are correct (I honestly can agree with complaints. Lived many of them first hand). Except the truth is there is no one out there to help or protect you. I was fool by suppose buyer sellers twice and never got my money back or sold my timeshare. Now every year I await the ever increasing maintenance fee and the acknowledgement I am being ripped off and there is not a thing I can do. Those of you who have been fooled into buying I feel for you and the $1500 you shell out every year for something the law cannot help you get rid of - bless you. I stuck here too. Someday relieve will come by some honest company that will help us out of this money pit, but until then we will continue to be bleed of our money.

Westgate is a business and its product is deducing the mind of stupid, yes that's correct people like myself to sell their soul to the company stove and burn till you die paying for something you use very seldom or not at all. I made my hole and every year I get a raise to be buried deeper in debt in it. All I want is a way to legal sell or get rid of this disease and be rid of this money pit, but as I said there no one out there to help us poor suckers, but a lot of BS'ers want to rip us off. Good luck friends. The complaint won't go down and the suckers will keep on going to Westgate to regret it later.

As the saying goes "too little knowledge makes it too late to back out!" I open and honestly am speaking the truth, so I feel the pain of many of you (bad repairs). The people who work for Westgate are ok, but the owners are out to get and keep your money and they do a good job and iron clad you so you're stuck for life. We need help and better regulations and laws so no more people get burnt.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I bought their timeshare many years ago which is a big mistake, as now even after pay off the original timeshare price for the three bedroom, their maintenance and tax goes up every year and now is up to US $1235 for 2018. They lie to us when we first bought the timeshare saying that it will not go up much, wow, all their salesman is a bunch of liars and crooks. Now renting out my timeshare week on eBay for the two bedroom for only $749 and the locked off Studio for only $579 to help out to offset part of the tax and maintenance, but after the exchange fees of $159 for the resort, 10% eBay fees plus HST, and PayPal fees, I only get back around US $700+, how sad.

Then all owners receive an email on Oct. 20, 2017 about New Benefits or changes, due to owners input and complaints, one of which stated... Quote "Reduced Lock Off Fee. Lock Off units are ideal for turning one vacation into two getaways by using one portion of the unit for one stay and the other portion for future use. FOR EXAMPLE: If you own a two bedroom Lock Off, you may use one bedroom for one portion of your vacation and the remaining studio for another vacation at the lowered cost of $80. Benefit does not apply to Resale Owners."

So in November after I paid my tax and maintenance fees, I called and confirmed with one of the rep. and he told me as long as I exchange my lock off for the same year, for my own home resort, it is $80. I phoned several after that to check different date, I was told the same until today, the rep said I have to pay $159 and kept on arguing with me, so I told her that is what the email said, so she went and checked with her supervisor and came back and said "Yes it is $80," with no apology for her mistake whatsoever.

Then I called back and asked to speak to their manager because I am afraid if I actually do the exchange, their system might charge me wrong, However, this so called supervisor is even more ignorant, now they change again, the supervisor said because my week is a fixed week, I have to pay $159, $80 is only for those who owns floating week. I said "No way, why are the fixed week owners have to pay more, as the email never specified that $80 applies to only owners with floating weeks." It only said "Change does not apply to resale owners".

WHAT A BUNCH OF IGNORANT, RUDE AND INCOMPETENT REP. AND SO-CALLED SUPERVISOR! I asked to speak to the Manager, and they won't let me. I went to post on their Facebook to warn owners about that, and of course get nowhere, they replied and said "The Supervisor already explain to you because you got a fix week." I wrote back and told them the only reason I have to write on their Facebook is because that supervisor is of NO HELP and that I do not agree with her. Therefore when I do have to do the exchange, I expect a catfight with them. WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

We stayed at this resort about 4 years ago, and we were quite impressed. We decided to stay there again. It was a mistake. There were so many things bad about the unit we stayed in. This place is going downhill. Here is a list of things that were not up to par. The dishwasher wasn't even secured to the cabinet, when you opened the door to put dishes in, the whole dishwasher would tip forward. The sink faucet was really loose, not connected well to sink. The TV would only stay on for a while and turn off, this happened throughout our stay, told the front desk, and someone came, and said that if you don't move around the TV will go off ??? WHAT??? Light above sink in bathroom would come on like a night light. Called twice on that, they had to replace the whole light 2nd time around.

The shower had mold in it, I even took an old toothbrush I had to see if it would come off, and some of it did. It was around the walls, the door and floor. The shower would leak onto the bathroom floor. The Jacuzzi jets inside were black, which to me means all the plumbing inside would have mold. I would never go into this tub. The light socket on one of the lamps was not secure, it looked broken. There were cigarette burns on all the counters and tables in the whole unit. And the unit smelled like cigarettes! The furniture was all scuffed up. No condiments like salt and pepper, which I wouldn't even think of bringing. We won't be staying at the Las Vegas Resort in any future trips to Las Vegas.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

We got a great deal to stay in the Smokies in super nice hotel with 2 Heated pools and restaurant attached that we got a $50 food coupon. All we had to do was a 90 min tour. Notice we Pretty qualified based on our financial eligibility and notified them the number in our party, 7. Hotel is falling apart, no heated pools. Only construction zone. Its was okay. We were right downtown Gatlinburg. We show up on time for the tour and then get us all checked in, No problem.

Our tour guide comes to us and says we have to leave our children in their daycare center or they cannot accommodate for the tour but would excuse us. So she writes on the excusal note party too large. I sign. We leave. Westgate then charged us $300 because "there were 12 of us and they could not verify our income." Lie, Lie! We called and we told by every stage of employee they will charge us and there is nothing we can do about it. We said that both things were a lie and they said they "Oh well the paper says." **. Oh and of course we didn't get our $50. Not that it matters because the restaurant was closed almost the ENTIRE time!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Unfortunately, I have been a Westgate resort "owner" for 15 years. I paid for prime ski season at the Park City resort. I paid almost $50,000 to have this resort EVERY year plus I pay another $1600 each year in maintenance fees. Westgate is happy to take my money each year. But try to make a reservation with them and you'll hear, NO INVENTORY. Yet, when I look on their website, they have plenty of availability to the general public. As an owner, I am not able to rent during prime ski time though they are happy to book us during the non-prime season! NEVER EVER buy from Westgate. This company should be shut down for fraud. I could not be more disappointed than I am with this company.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My fiance and I went to the presentation for discounted Universal tickets. We knew what the deal (less than $200 a night anywhere in the world) had to be for us to even consider buying into it... We said that we werent interested... The prices changed. We decided it would be worth it when they told us that we could stay in London or Paris or anywhere else in the world for $200 for a whole week (so less than $40 a night in central Paris). We plan to relocate internationally and do traveling so that would be worth it in the long run. I reiterated the $200 a week a number of times and kept being assured that was correct. So, we could stay a whole month in a 2 bedroom apt in London for less than $1000. When we got upstairs to finish the deal, we were told that we were only going to get 1 week every other year in Orlando and not the 2 weeks as we were told. That was half of what we were told downstairs and signed off on...

It was becoming obvious that there had been some deception so I told the guy (who hadn't wanted to log in to his Interval International account because we might accidentally book a trip) that I needed him to log in and show us that we could book London for $200 a week. He was still reluctant but I told him that we didn't need to handle his device, and that he could just show us. He tried to show me somewhere in the US. I did take the device and searched London in March (low season) and there was nothing under $200 a night. I looked for Paris and again nothing under $200 a night. That is a huge difference from $200 for 7 nights! We told them that is not what we were told and that the deal was off. They kept trying to sell us. Then there was some runaround getting our discounted tickets. We were there for over 6 hours! They will lie to you about what you get to get the sale.

And if I hadn't made him show me the prices in London with his login it would have been 6 weeks before they gave me my ID to check myself, long after they got $1200 from us as a down payment and we would have had to fight to get it back. They are very dishonest and also become insulting. Do not trust anything they initially tell you that you will be getting, everything changes before the final paperwork is done and they are hoping that you are too tired from your 4-6 hours sales pitch that you will just accept much less than what they had originally promised.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Lamar our sales rep was a very nice guy. But my complaint is our presentation began at 9:30 and lasted until 3:30 almost. We encountered 3 managers plus our salesman. This was suppose to last 90 minutes. We saw lunch put out, but it was never offered. The red flags I see are nothing is shown in writing, interest is 17.99 percent, and they use intense pressure. Some of the tactics used are designed to wear you down to compromise your judgment. Also 17.99 percent interest is higher than the prime interest rate on property since the 1970’s under Jimmy Carter. With good credit it is less than 6% right now. They do in-house financing which greatly inflates their profit.

The price they quote is basically more than doubled if you finance with them. If you can pay cash, then do that, but offer it at the end. Also get a printed copy of contact to read and sign. Read it well. Not electronic. If they say they can't print it, walk away. It's a big red flag. Also the offers start really high (60k) and come down to like 8k. Amazing. Lastly remember their HOA is for life. The ones they offered us were very high. They started at over $800/yr. They came down to just over $400. To me that's high on a time share where you get 7 nights a year. Timeshares are not a wise investment, but have some benefits. Shop around. Don't cave to pressure. Lots of timeshares people want to get out of out there too. Look at those.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Don't know where to start. Promised a free vacation upon the package I bought for many more. Room isn't what was promised. In 4 days one person came to change the bedding. We called for someone to check on the washer and dryer. Promised free wifi and received nothing. Even when paid it is garbage. No signal anywhere on the facility. No cable channels. None of the water rides are free like promised, no gym facility. I was kicked out because I had no member card. Then told pay 5$. Upon the crazy fees and ticket prices. I had a sour experience of Florida and even worse of Westgate. They didnt even let us know we had a complimentary breakfast. You always get what you pay for and nothing is ever free even if it's written on the dotted line.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My parents received 3 gift certificates in the mail for a 3 days/2 night stay at Westgate Hotel. We called to make a reservation as they quality financially making $60,000/yr. We were on a phone call for 1 hour and that's not exaggerating, we were transferred to sales 2x and confirmation desk twice verifying the same information over and over. The fifth person was the supervisor name Linda stating that my parents do not qualify because my dad is retired.

All along they knew that my father was retired and qualifies for the $60,000 disclaimer they have in the back of the gift certificate. They said in the beginning that they do qualify and proceeded in taking my mother's credit card number. And then after one hour, they indicated they don't qualify because he is retired which is not shown in the back of the certificate. We feel that they were not treated fairly and this is a false advertisement. I still have a copy of the certificate and nowhere it says that if you are retire then you don't qualify.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I previously lodged at the location and was solicited on social media for a packaged stay which I accepted. The so called 90 minute presentation was included, my room was in the older construction of the resort, there were Roaches in the living room, a ring around the tub, Which I cleaned, it was still there and roach droppings in the kitchen. The refrigerator had a very big Rust stain that was visibly distracting and that 90 minutes sales pitch was an aggravating 3 1/2 hours.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

BUYER BEWARE: DO NOT BUY THEIR TRAVEL PACKAGES. If you are a Westgate timeshare owner eventually you will receive a call from Westgate Cruise and Travel Collection. Immediately hang up the phone. When they call they will try to sell you these packages and let on like you will get resort accommodations or use towards a cruise, which is far from the truth. When booking what you may think is a resort stay is actually a hotel, which trust me is far from any resort I have ever stayed at. It would of had been better to save my money and book my hotel stay on my own and not have money tied up in these so-called resort stays.

If you have any questions just contact me by messenger and hopefully I can save you from getting taken from this scam they have going on. If you want to actually stay in a resort you are actually going to have to dump more money into this scam to get a resort stay. BAD INVESTMENT. STAY AWAY. How Westgate gets by with this is they have a hotel that they put you up in and since it is owned by Westgate they call the hotel a resort.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My husband and I attended a local home show where WG Resorts had a booth. For $99 we would get a 2 night stay at the Las Vegas resort, show tickets and a game allowance of $200 and all we would have to do is listen to a 90 minute computerized slideshow. We were promised no hard sell! Sounded good, so we signed up and put the $99 on our American Express.

After going home and researching this resort we decided there were too many negative reviews (many of them about bed bugs and the 90 minute pitch that turned into 3 hours). I called the WG number on the contract we signed (there is no cancellation policy or refund policy on the contract) and I was advised that they do not refund money, but she would send a refund request in. I was also told to call back today and speak with a supervisor. I immediately disputed the amount with American Express. Call WG today to speak with a supervisor (of course they never put me through to one), but was told they would know within a week if my money will be refunded (I'm not holding my breath). They cannot enforce something that is not on the contract! They messed with the wrong person!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I paid over $3,000 over a year ago to join Westgate Cruise & Travel which to my understanding would make my vacations cheaper and simpler to schedule. At the time I obtained and paid for a membership I was told that I would be getting two free weeks or two certificates for free vacations. Unfortunately when I called today to try to use one of my certificates for the alleged free vacation (Second attempt today at resolution). I spoke to what seemed to be a kind, likable woman in London. She researched the database and found the best available cruise for persons with children with disabilities. A Bahama cruise leaving from Baltimore in April with 4 US ports of call, and one in Grand Bahama.

I furnished her with our debit card # to pay the exorbitant taxes associated with this cruise and she put me on hold several times, (allegedly arguing with her supervisor to attempt to get us more amenities for our credit count) claiming that she had a special place in her heart for children with disabilities. She said that she had gotten everything done. All that we needed now was to speak to a supervising agent to confirm the trip. When the supervisor got on the phone he read off a standardized sheet stating that due to our tenure as clients we were to be upgraded to "Platinum Status" for ONLY $95 a month for 2 1/2 years? I told him that he must be confused that paying $3000.00 more was not what was discussed with the British agent.

He got her back on the line and she apologized for the confusion and said that the cruise booking dept. would be closing in an hour and that she'd call back within a 1/2 an hour with the itinerary and tax pricing. 5 hours later still waiting? What Westgate and that massive crook "King of Versailles" DAVID Seigel do is attempt to sell you more of what you didn't get to begin with? My poor little angel is only 6 years old, has Down Syndrome, and a host of medical problems, was listening in the whole time excitedly, jumping up and down screaming "Mommy we're going to the Beehammas. We're going to the Beehammas! I'm so excited! Thank you Daddy! Thank You!" Hey David Seigel and Westgate, I hope that you meet God soon and get everything that you righteously deserve!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Wow, what a complete waste of time... We were approached on the Vegas strip with an opportunity. We were guaranteed tickets to a show if we went to a presentation. We sat through an entire presentation and my husband politely declined the opportunity presented. After which, we were not given the promised incentive for our visit. It (again) was more than a complete waste of time. Do not go to this company for anything.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We went to a 90 minute timeshare presentation on 10-02-2017. After the showing of the property TaTa started the sales pitch. We sat there for five hours and finally my boyfriend told her we wanted our free gifts and wanted to leave. We weren't interested. She ignored him. Finally he got piss and told her to get us the (choice words) out of there. She threatened to call security and has us removed. We said, "Good." Maybe we can get our ** and get out of there. She left. Another person who I didn't get his name signed us out.

If they don't want to give you the free stuff to listen to their HIGH pressure sales pitch then don't offer it. I wouldn't go back to that place if they gave it to me for free and paid the maintenance fee themselves. Very unprofessional bunch of **. Five hours really... what a crock. Yes we could have walked out after the 90 minutes and the price went from 12750 to 6500. When I realized it was all a crock and the whole thing was full of lies and holes we knew it was time to leave.

Westgate Resorts expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

• Best for: Travelers with a favorite vacation destination, young professionals with disposable income and large families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs