2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Westgate Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: July 17, 2020

I bought a timeshare for Park City Ut. in 2002. We bought it because we were told that we could reserve the 39 week of each even year. This my birthday week & anniversary week. This is the first time I have tried to use this timeshare myself. (My son used it for his honeymoon that cost 135.00 because the week he used it didn't fall on the week 39.) We are getting ready to retire. So we were going to but in a reservation for that week when we tried to use it we were told that we needed pay an additional 500.00 to reserve this week because we had bought a floating time share for fall/spring.

When I spoke to Westgate Resorts about this issue I was told that the week (39) that is on my contract is for deed purposes only. { :( } When I was sold this TimeShare Jill ** (My sales prep) & Rachal ** the contract closer for Westgate told me that they would put that week on the contract which they did but as I mentioned above this is for deed purposes only. So the bottom line here is I was conned into this tine share. I should have read it more thoroughly than I did but if the Jill & Rachel would have been honest with us we would not have purchased this timeshare from Westgate. Purchased in 2002 now it is 2020 I own the deed & have always paid the tax & maintenance fee's on time. My name is David **. Thanks for reading this. I hope you read this before you buy from Westgate. Have a great day.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Westgate Resorts Liars and Scammers. Stay away from Westgate Resorts, everything is a lie, they hired liars to get you into buying this crap, I dont understand how there is so much Evil people in the world, after almost 2 years of paying their mortgage I come to find out that I have only paid 1000 dollars out of the $13,500

Mortgage that I have been paying for almost 2 years now, basically my monthly mortgage payment is 243 a month. I have paid almost $6000 dollars in total so $43 dollars went onto the principal and $200 went into the interest. On top of I have to pay $120 dollars a month for their cruise and travel. Scammers and liars, ** Liars, now I have to call their cruise and travel to see if I'm also been charge interest.

I will post this message everywhere on the internet and I will get it translate in different languages. Only Evil people are able to live from someone else's struggle. I will do my best to keep people inform about of this liars. Even the rep I spoke with let a word slip out of his mouth. "We are robbing" and then went to correct himself, I work hard for my money and That's money that my kids won't ever see.

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Good morning. Maybe this email has no concern to you. I'm a healthcare worker. Who decided to take his children on a getaway. I'm currently staying at the resort. I checked in on 06/25/2020 a little after 3pm. I bought groceries. Put them in the refrigerator. We went to the pool. Came back around 6pm. Children were hungry. Went to the fridge and found out it wasn't working. I called the front desk. They sent a maintenance guy up almost 30 to 40 minutes later. He came supposedly he said the issue was fixed. At 830 I checked the refrigerator again and it still was not keeping the items cold. Now it has been a little over 5 hours that my groceries has been in the refrigerator not being chilled. I called the front desk they said they will send someone up. They came. Acted like I did something wrong.

The guy kept telling me to take the things out of the refrigerator but I couldn't because of the door that cant be open all the way due to the fact the other guy was unplugging it. Then in rage he just grabbed the refrigerator and dragged it out from the kitchen out the villa. Around 9:30 pm security came, did a report and took pictures of my receipt. Then he came back at 10pm. Said that they will reimburse me but has to take all my groceries. Which is fine. They were all bad anyways. Then on 0626/2020 at 830am. I did not hear anything from anyone and was concerned that my kids would wake up and not have anything to drink or eat so I called the front desk. I spoke to the manager and he said he will find out and let me know. I waited a hour and got no answer. I called back at 930am and said the head of security will be contacting me. I explained that there is no food, no drink and I have little children. He just apologized.

I called security then spoke to a lady. She said that he will not be coming in at 2pm and he is aware of my issues. So that means I have to wait until 2pm to get a answer or wait to feed my kids. We came here to be stress free and get away from the world and all its issue and I only been here one day and have anxiety. Nothing was done to make sure we were comfortable or accommodate. This is unacceptable and for a resort to have such a good reputation and big name no one cares. I did pay money for this vacation. It was not free. Like I said in the beginning of this email. This will probably be brushed off or not even read. What big name company cares about the little people. I put pictures to show the drag mark on the floor and how all my stuff was just put out.

Today is 06/27/2020 and I have not heard anything from anyone. This email was forward and sent to different people but got nothing in return. I guess we dont care if my children got anything to eat or drink. I had to go out and buy more food and spend more money. Like I said big companies made their name already so why care about the little people.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I got scammed when buying a timeshare. I don't have relevant answers from the company since several months ago already. We've purchased a timeshare with my wife, we were really happy since we would be able to have our dreamed vacations. The first summer we weren't able to use that since they didn't gave us our Interval membership (we wanted it to exchange our weeks and use hotels worldwide), but they took several months to give us our membership because of 'internal issues' (even when it was already paid). They haven't compensated us on any way of course, then we lost our vacations. When having our membership we wanted to start using that. We tried to deposit our week but there were 'internal errors' on the webpage, then we are locked without the ability to use it.

In the middle, there are new undeclared charges (that were supposed to be included in the first payment as they told us) and nobody else gives us any feedback: no more replying emails, not answering Whatsapp messages... All the people that was in touch with us when purchasing the timeshare suddenly stopped responding. Even emails are now bouncing! The most annoying fact: even before having our Interval membership, we started receiving many calls in our home phone offering us for re-selling our remaining Interval weeks. That leads me to the fact that either they sold my personal info to these 'phantom' companies (they seem to be scammers as far as I have seen in many BBB reviews and Google searches) or themselves are trying to scam the owners by using other companies.

I have a contract that one company send to me, I've asked the sales person from Westgate about it and herself said that it was a scam. I have it all on my email. We have called Interval many times about it and they said that they don't even have any request from Westgate to set up our membership, they didn't knew anything about us then it has to be Westgate. Is pretty annoying and disappointing, I keep paying for it but they don't even give me an answer. I have started complaining about it several MONTHS ago. They said that there is no way for me to get rid of the timeshare except for selling it to somebody else (that would convert myself on a scammer and I don't want to be a part on this fraud). The only answer I get from them is that they are 'still working on my concerns'.

Is unacceptable that they take that much time for giving an answer, I don't want to have anything to do with these people, they are not serious and the way they manage the claims is terrible. It became our worst nightmare instead of our dreamed vacation plan, we are too disappointed and with a hard powerless feeling. We are losing all our savings from our entire life in a terrible scam and we don't have any answers, we cannot even use the service we are paying for.

Original review: May 21, 2020

My family and I stayed at Westgate resort in Myrtle Beach SC. My husband and I purchased a vacation package and was told it can be used at anytime. We paid over $1800 for it, only to receive a letter dated April 28, 2020 saying it expired, and $200 is needed to extend for one year. We were never told that the package would expire and it’s only good for a total of 27 months.

I spoke with someone name Jessy via instant messenger and was told it’s part of the contact. They should let their customers know that it’s only good for 27 months. When calling the representative today and speaking with them they stated a letter was sent in August in which we never received and the vacation package expired in November and they sent the expiration letter in April in which that timeline of notification is lengthy. Then to receive a letter asking for more money to extend. They really ripped my husband and I off. They do not compromise the just want to collect your money. Now I understand why so many of my bankruptcy clients add this company to their bankruptcy because this company is nothing but a ripoff and don’t even show any remorse. This company integrity is awful.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Today I was misinformed and my vacation was cancelled under false conditions. I spent an hour on the phone with Lashaun **. She cancelled my vacation when I wanted to transfer. The original vacation I booked was to Kauai. I needed to change it because of the quarantine restrictions that were extended thru the end of June.

Initially, I was told that I would be able to book any week thru Leisure Time Passport. After she cancelled my vacation Lashaun informed me that I had to use Dream Vacations. I logged in while still on the phone with her and informed her that this is not what we discussed. She was very anxious to get me off the phone. Lashaun offered to transfer me to customer service. I requested that she reach out and I stay on hold until she reached a person. In fact, she did not transfer me to customer service. I was transferred to an advisor named Carmen (ID# **). Carmen told me that she did not have a supervisor that would speak with me and they are all instructed to not allow customers to go up the chain of command, but instead only email this address.

In addition, Lashaun assured me that the notes in my file would summarize everything that happened. Yet, when I asked Carmen to read me the previous notes, Lashaun did not document any of the details regarding misinforming me and withholding the fact that the certificate would have to be used on a separate site called dream vacations. I asked Carmen to contact Lashaun and request updated notes. Carmen informed me that it was not possible. Carman insisted that there is no possible way to contact the individual (Lashaun) that had transferred me to her (Carmen). At that point, Carmen said I will not speak any more do you want the email address or not.

I am extremely frustrated and have been treated very unethically. Somehow they cancelled my $2000 vacation and provided me a certificate that is close to worthless. Not only are the places listed subpar, but I was told I could travel any time as long as I booked by May 9, 2021. The dream vacation website says I have to travel by November 16, 2020.

Original review: April 15, 2020

We started small with Westgate. We purchased one year and returned the next for our first stay. WOW! We were surprised to see that the rooms we saw at purchase were nothing like the rooms we were given when we stayed there. WE were told that if we do not like the purchase, then Westgate will buy it back. NOPE. They never buy back. We were promised that if we purchase a better room, for a mere extra $10,000 then we will like that place/room better. Now we return the next year and that new room is worse. No privacy. We hear kids crying all night, we hear making love in the next room, we hear coughing and spitting by a sick person in the next unit and we hear dogs barking all night. So we complain and now they promise a better place, just purchase upgrade for another $10,000. This goes on and on until now we have purchased and paid for upgrades and have $40,000. in this resort.

Lies, Lies, Lies at every upgrade. We get no rest at these resorts. I have tried (5) and they are all alike. Westgate Resorts use absolutely NO NO NO privacy insulation. If they build it, you will receive no rest or privacy in your room. What you purchase never looks like the rooms you are shown when you purchase. Now you want to sell and the $40,000 you have spent and the housekeeping (that went from $300.00 per year to $900.00 per year) totals a bundle... You can only get about $5,000 to 6,000 offers to purchase your property. (If you can get that.)

We tried to rent (Lies they tell you). We finally found someone to rent our unit. They called Westgate to verify that we do indeed own a property there, and Westgate stole our renter. They offered the unit to them for much less than we offered so we lost the rent. The lady was kind enough to let us know what Westgate did. Westgate stole from us. Dishonest people. My best advice if you are thinking of purchasing from Westgate Resorts...RUN RUN RUN.

Original review: April 5, 2020

We purchased timeshare interest in Westgate and they sold the property a month later to Hilton Grand Vacations. Could not get a refund and they lied back to us. After paying annual fee for 6 years and using it once, we were able to get out of further obligation to them by paying them $1,000 to take it back. In contrast, we are long time HGVC members and find Hilton's timeshare to be pricey but satisfactory.

Original review: March 31, 2020

To be quick to the point, you will have a good time and admire the possibility of being able to have a nice vacation in a lovely place as you like which is the furthest thing from the truth and to be plain, it's cheaper to save for a vacation versus being financially tied to a contract that you WILL not exercise at your convenience but will be obligated to pay no matter what at the end of the day and should you expire, your next to kin will then be held responsible so it's cheaper and less stress in the long run to just save for a vacation and be done with it..

Original review: March 24, 2020

I’m writing this review as a warning to others. I don’t expect Westgate to actually capitulate with me on any level, or do anything to help me for that matter, so consider this a goodwill review for the safety of the unsuspecting public. As an unwilling timeshare owner in Westgate, let me say that It’s truly amazing what the promise of a free breakfast and $150 in your pocket will get you to agree to. Westgate and their associates have a marvelous sales pitch, and a luxurious, opportunistic setting to work with. All designed to lure you into a decision you will ultimately regret. It’s not a scam as so many people are fond of saying, because they do offer services in exchange for your money. You just end up feeling scammed despite the legitimacy. The resorts are pretty nice at any rate.

The only way you really get the most bang out of your buck however, is if you happen to already have a lot of money to burn and a hefty amount of free time. For the everyday working person, it’s not financially feasible. You will never be on vacation as often as you think you will unless your budget is ironclad, and perfectly managed. Westgate is the whole concept of Timeshare at its most stereotypical, worst, and finest degree. By the time you realize just how much they fooled you, you’ve already signed your “deed” and they’re laughing uproariously at you. It’s not true real estate because you aren’t actually buying anything. That’s why true real estate agents won’t even touch timeshare. You are buying a pre arranged time to stay at a resort, not an actual room. They say it’s YOUR ROOM but it’s really YOUR TIME to use whatever room they have available.

And there are more variables that determine even that depending on what you agreed on. It could be odd years only, floating time, or even years only, fixed time etc. I got “lucky” and only bought into a timeshare worth $5,000. But I pay interest with every $100 I send in a month, plus “maintenance fees” of $1000 every two years. And the maintenance fees stick around even if I were to finish paying off my $5000 balance. They also increase over time. So unless you take a big vacation every other year, you aren’t really saving anything. You’re actually spending more. I can’t imagine what the poor people who got duped into buying $35,000 dollar timeshares must be going through. I know Disney and Universal resorts aren’t cheap, but they will at least work with you, or offer cheaper options like Disney’s All-Star Resorts.

Westgate does not let you have second thoughts, they don’t release you from what you owe if your financial situation degrades, they don’t offer to cut the balance in half, they do absolutely nothing. You are stuck unless you can somehow pay off your balance all at once. Once the balance is paid, they will agree to release you from your agreement, and therefore the maintenance fees. Also, say if I were to catch the Coronavirus and die, the obligation to pay off the balance then transfers to either my children or next of kin. That’s ridiculous. As long as they get their precious money, they don’t care about you, or your family. It’s plain as day to see that they don’t care just from trying to contact them. They play hot potato with you on the phone, passing you from one associate to the next until you’ve had enough and throw your phone at the wall in frustration. Once you sign that paper that’s it.

You could say it’s my fault for signing and agreeing to it, and you’re correct about that, but they literally did everything aside from physically restraining me to keep me in that chair until I signed something. I should’ve just got up and left. Remember that you CAN just leave. They cannot keep you there against your will. Don’t be like me dear reader, just get up and leave. I also didn’t give them my social security number, but somehow they were able to attain it. That means I can’t even decide to just not pay them because if they have my social, they can report me to a collection agency which will ruin my credit. So I’m stuck paying for something I don’t really want, they won’t work with me or give me a payoff quote, and they’re holding my credit hostage. And beware of companies that offer to sell your timeshare, because most of them really are outright scams.

The bottom line is that timeshares aren’t worth anything. They aren’t real properties. You will never sell them for what they are “worth” because they aren’t worth anything at all. I hate this. I hate the thought of my hard earned money going towards something I’m not really going to use! I hate the fact that they won’t do anything about it, or work with me! I hate the fact that Miss Faye ** was so convincing at the initial meeting! But I mostly hate the fact that I swallowed the bait hook line and sinker, just because I thought I was getting a good deal. I feel profoundly stupid in the extreme for having agreed to this exasperating situation.

If you are reading this, and considering investing in Westgate or any kind of timeshare company, please do yourself a favor and don’t sign anything! If you hear the name Westgate, say “No” immediately. Do not be like me. Do not dare to hope you found a good deal. The reality of it all will hit you right in your wallet in due time. I truly regret making this huge mistake. My advice to anybody who finds themselves at a timeshare meeting is this. Just get up and leave!

Westgate Resorts author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information