1.0/5 (43 ratings)

About Westgate Resorts

Westgate Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

We purchased a Westgate Timeshare in 2016 and for the rest of the remaining years, it's been nothing short of HELL. If I could go back to that sales rep who promised us a dream of vacation home whenever we needed it, I'd probably sue him separately. Over the past 8 years, we've made payments of $180 a month and it already exceeded the total price of the unit, but we still have to book our family vacay based on when they have the unit vacant, that isn't even the argument here, My argument is, why the ** are you charging me this money and I'm still not able to book when I want? Nothing was explained to us, in fact, we were told that there are multiple Westgates in Puerto Rico and the Islands, where we wanted to go on vacation, but it was all a lie.

When I locked my credit card and they couldn't take payments anymore, they sent us to collections and that's what we are dealing with right now. Westgate is a ** scam and no one, I mean not one person should sign up with these people because they will ** your credit totally and they do not care! Disgusted with their service and people handling their phones and their reps.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

On Jan 02 2023 we felt into scam and manipulation by trained tactics made by the Westgate agents at Smoky Mountain... We purchases a one bedroom condo for only $15,900 and was told it's worth value is 40K the manager said that someone just upgrades to 2 bedroom and you can't miss this deal we were very excited and so happy but at the same time we started to think and do some research and it seemed too good to be true...

The next day just random we met up with an ex agent that used to work for Westgate timeshares exactly same location and first thing she told us is to get out of this scam asap in 10 days and go back and have them sign all the paperwork that you want to cancel because that is their policy but we never thought it would be such a difficult task to do because they do not even do any paperwork or sign any cancellation forms or give any cancellation confirmation it's a total scam... I filed a dispute with my bank to dispute the purchase since I canceled on the 5th of Jan 2023. We will be starting a legal action against the Westgate Resorts

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I got a deeded fixed week in '96. Then they took my unit and turned it into a model unit. They put me in units I don't like and say in their system it's equivalent. But it's not to me. That's my deeded unit they've taken! My tough luck, nothing else available they say. And I can't trade to another Westgate property because they take the good places and keep them to rent for high rates instead of for trading with other Westgate owners. The units are available, but not for trading. So I'm stuck with something different than what I bought that I don't like.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

We booked a night at the wrong location by accident while evacuating from Hurricane Ian. We cancelled the reservation within minutes. They refuse to refund our stay, bouncing us between Corporate and the Front Desk, both telling us we have to call the other to get a refund. We travel often and have never had this issue with other companies. Stay away. They just want your money. It's ridiculous to watch "The Queen of Versailles" show and hear the owners of the company brag about their million dollar skylight, 10k bird, priceless antiques, etc. How they sleep at night taking money for services that we never receive is beyond me. 135.00 is nothing to this company. It meant everything to us.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Have been LIED to multiple times from 80-90% of their employees. Every presentation we have attended ended up being a seminar on lying. The Resorts are pretty nice but our Maint. Fees are getting OUT OF CONTROL. WG Cruise & Travel is a BIGGER scam than the resorts though. DO NOT book anything with WGCT as it is a nightmare and extremely aggravating. We were asked to upgrade to get free resort and cruise certs and did it. Lol, Resort dates are never available when we want to use them, hotels are usually cheaper on Expedia, and HOLY FREAKING COW what a nightmare trying to schedule a cruise. Just for giggles went out to EXPEDIA and again FOUND CHEAPER PRICES. This is started to become slightly comical to me now but it still very upsetting. We work hard for our money and wished we would have found a more honest company to do business with.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

This company thrives on FEES!!! There is a fee for everything. People buy timeshares, have to pay to exchange it, even if they bank it, when they go to use it another FEE! Mr. Westgate is living at Versailles, and the little people who struggle to buy his timeshare and god forbid, find the time to use it, are charged a fee for every little thing. The best part is, when you don't go, he takes it and charges someone else to stay in it. The positive is always in his pocket. If you bank the timeshare and he charges someone else a fee to stay there, you should not be charged anything if and when you find the time to stay there later. This entire timeshare thing is a money grab...all the way around. Cha-ching-cha-ching-cha-ching!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

We got the 4 day 3 night stay at the River Terrace Resort in Gatlinburg. We knew there would be a presentation for them to try and sell us a timeshare. I had signed up and we drove down. Had an issue at check in which we sorted out but we ended up paying full price for the first night. Well the room was clean, but the place was old and needs lots of upgrades and a full renovation. The people at the check in were really nice, but they were over worked, and both were leaving at the end of the month. Their reasons for leaving were very valid. Anyway, we stayed in Gatlinburg, and it was not really to our liking, although the mountains were beautiful. Too crowded and commercialized. We made it to our appointed appointment time for the timeshare presentation. Now when you get there you will find the music in the lounge area is pretty high. I think they turn on the volume so you do not hear them at other tales around you making their pitch.

We sat and waited till our names were called. We met all their prerequisites for the stay. Well then they take to up to the third floor and serve you some food and drink, and then you go up to the third floor for the sales pitch, with the loud music. The young guy in his early 20's was really nice, he gave the pitch, and we went on the tour. Then you come back and then the pressure for the sale is on. You are told that what they are offering is only valid for that day. The prices for a timeshare cost more than our house costs and what you get is only a week for each room you get. There are other niceties they say you can get and they show you other locations you can go to. Got to remember there are maintenance and homeowners association costs, alond with property taxes to consider. You see the first guy, and then another salesman comes over and gives you lots of other things and gives you what each will cost.

If you have lots of money well maybe this is something you can get--but remember this is for life and we know getting out of a timeshare is almost impossible. But anyway, he keeps the pressure on until I finally got up like I was leaving and then I sat back down. The manager comes over and makes a final push and then offers you a one week stay for like $795.00. We listened to everything they said, and decided this is something we just did not care to do. You are then allowed to check out and leave. I would not recommend anyone to sit through one of these presentations unless you have the will power to say NO. It feels like a scam with all the sales pressure they put on you. These snake oil salesmen really want your money, and if you have that kind of money to burn then go for it. For most it is something to stay way far away from.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

We are writing to you to discuss our options as it pertains to the timeshare that we have with Westgate. We want everyone possible to know how dissatisfied we are and to warn everyone we possibly can to stay away from Westgate. We have experienced terrible customer service and this company's business practices are appalling. They take months to respond and then their responses are so obviously templates, they don’t even take the time to make sure their fonts match.

Westgate representatives did not disclose vital information at the time of our purchase that could have altered our decision to make our purchase. They gave us no time to review the contract we signed, and no one told us we had a rescission period. We are not interested in keeping and maintaining our contract with Westgate and they refuse to provide us with a viable option for exiting our contract. We are asking for the timeshare to be completely terminated from our names. This is a small favor that we are asking considering that the company took advantage of us during the purchase process. Any help you can give us is appreciated and needed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE! They don't care about their guests! They are forcing us to check out in the middle of HURRICANE IAN!! They didn't accommodate my kids and my family for even 1 day!!! They didn't even allow us to check out late!! They are greedy and ruthless and will leave you out to die unless you pay thrice the amount at which you booked their room!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

This place does not even deserve one star. My boyfriend and I were approached at Universal regarding a reward of $150 and a continental breakfast in exchange for 90 minutes of our time to learn about this company's timeshares. We also had to put down $20 for our “reservation,” but were told we would get the money back upon arrival. This man assured us it would only be for 90 minutes and we could come at 8am and have plenty of time for the rest of our day. We have been to other timeshare presentations before and thought this one would go the same…Wrong.

We get to the “resort” and automatically it felt very off. As soon as we parked our car a worker approached us and offered valet parking. We didn’t really like the idea as 1) we are driving a rental and 2) wanted to leave when we were ready. When we walked in, we filled some paperwork out and sat down in a lobby with a couple other families, which is where it started to go downhill. This family sitting by us tells us how we should leave because they are going to basically hold us hostage for 3-4 hours and that’s why they valet parked our car so we couldn’t leave until they were done with the “presentation.” This family told us they had put down $300 and couldn’t get their money back until they completed the presentation which caused them to miss their park reservation the day before.

After hearing this we decide we do not want to stay, but right when we get up to leave our names get called. My boyfriend told our sales lady that we needed to leave. I told her that we do not have that large of a time frame and she ASSURED AND PROMISED that she could do the presentation in under 30 minutes. She joked that we could even set a timer, which we did. We even skipped the breakfast to make the “presentation” go by quicker.

From here is was your typical timeshare spiel. She went over what they offer, how their company works, and how much it was going to cost. Regardless of if we were interested, they didn’t even have what we we would be looking for. They were out of the 1 and 2 bedrooms and only had a 3 bedroom available, which is too much space for us and out of our budget. The conversation should have ended here, but wait there’s more. It was quickly approaching the 90 minutes and we told her that we needed to go. She then has us get up and takes us to a different room where we thought we would be leaving, considering we told her we going to be late to our reservation. Wrong again.

She then proceeds to show us the “history” of the company and leads us outside to where the golf carts are. Immediately when we saw this we did not want to go because we had prior plans at 10:30 and did not have the time to be taking an extensive tour of a property we weren’t interested in. She once again ASSURES us that she is taking us to get our car, but we have to go to a different building, which is supposedly where the car is parked (it was in fact not where the car was parked).

We agree and we start heading towards another building. The building she brings us to is where they show you an example set up of what you could own. We had ZERO interest in seeing anything at this point as we were not interested and we were especially not interested in a company that doesn’t respect its customers' time. She then tells us that she will skip the rest of the tour since we are in a hurry and now she will take us to get the car. Wrong, again.

She then brings us to another building where her manager is now going to pitch the sale to us. He sits down and we immediately tell him that we do not have time and we need to leave. He tells us that “he understands, but we’re interrupting him which will make this take longer.” He then said something along the lines of “so why don’t you let me write down my offer for the cameras to see so she gets paid and doesn’t get in trouble, fair?” I flat out told him what’s fair about signing a contract that states we would ONLY BE HERE FOR 90 MINUTES and then keeping us for 2 1/2 hours. Guaranteed if we didn’t keep pressuring them that we needed to leave we would’ve spent at least 4-5 hours telling these people no.

He proceeds to write his “deal” down and then leaves. We again tell our sales lady that we are not interested due to finances. She then has ANOTHER women come over who asks us how our experience has been. We told her it was terrible as we have been here longer than we were promised. Without really even acknowledging that we told her you people made us miss our reservation she tries to offer us a weeks stay at their “resort” for a “discounted fee.”

At this point we were feeling aggressive as one can imagine and we don’t even let her finish and tell her we NEED TO LEAVE. You know what this lady told us? “These presentations are never as short as they tell you, next time say no if you are approached.” No I’m sorry, how can we make this better? Nothing. She then tells us how to get our prize and tells us we have to take a 15 MINUTE shuttle to retrieve our car.

This whole experience was disgusting and if this company ever thought I would give them business after disrespecting my time and breaking a contract, they are out of their mind. I have never been treated so poorly. Only positive outcome is we got did get our full $170. And again, we have been to two timeshare presentations in the past and they have never been like this. This place is a joke and based on the reviews I’ve read, the place is run down and isn’t maintained well. I feel bad for the sucker who gets themselves into this trap.

Westgate Resorts author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Advisor

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information