Westgate Resorts

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I see a lot of people bashing Westgate. I do have to say I truly enjoy the service they have given me and my family. With all the free amenities they offer to the free Waterpark. Yes I sat through the presentation and yes it lasted more then 90 min. But if you truly get into logistical money aspects you can actually make money off of your investment while you enjoy your time there.

I went to the 90 minute presentation & stayed the 90 minutes and left. I informed the agent at the beginning of the orientation that I was starting my timer and I would be leaving after my 90 minutes. Long story short 3 months later I get my bank statement. They took $248 from my account without my knowledge stating that I didn't stay to the presentation when it's on camera what time I came and left.

After the traditional high pressure sales pitch about 10 years ago, my wife and I purchased a timeshare in Florida from Westgate, who was in the process of building a resort in Myrtle Beach. After paying monthly and maintenance fees for a year, the Myrtle Beach property was not yet complete when the time came for us to use it. They offered to give us another location, but were overbooked, so that never did work out. I called numerous times, and finally told them that I no longer wanted the timeshare, and that they had breached their contract. I was sent a deed in lieu of foreclosure that I signed, but indicated that I would not send them anymore money than what I had already wasted with them. After about 6 years I hear from a collection agency representing them. I sent them a letter explaining the situation and disputed the charge, and never did hear back from them.

Just recently, and after 10 years, they resurface again on my credit report. When inquiring about the report, they indicated that they never did receive a dispute from collections and that the account is now in foreclosure, but they will remove it from my credit report for $2500. It will just have to stay on my report. Companies like this cannot continue to cheat and deceive others without paying the consequences. Karma is for real. It is not in my nature to wish them harm, therefore I won't, but I reiterate, karma is for real.

We purchased from Westgate Resorts in Feb 2014. It has been the worst headache ever since! We were offered a 1 bedroom deluxe for $56,000 and turned it down. Each time we walked away they came back with a lower price, and we reluctantly bought at $7,000. We've made 20 payments of $140 a month since and still owe $6,726.38. We'll be paying on this "deeded" property for the next 8 years, not to mention we owe $741 a year to even use it for maintenance fees (that have increased, btw). Why would you pay a weekly hotel rate to use property that you supposedly own, along with a $140 a month payment?? The whole concept is ludicrous.

We were told we had access to any resort with our owner card. That's true, but what they didn't say was we still had to pay to use the facility! If we are visiting Gatlinburg (where we bought), we still have to pay $12.95 per day, per family member (5) to use the water park! We've tried to book a week outside of our timeshare, which we were told would never be more than $199 for any week available, and were quoted a $289 a night rate!! Non-owners are not that high, so why am I being punished for owning?

This whole place is a rip off, and a sad mistake we have to live with... oh, and we bought "value" season, which means we can go "anytime" from Dec to March. This worked for us, but now we have blackout dates and were told the contract changed. How do you change a contract??? We've been limited to essentially one week in each month as an option, and it's not ok.

I'm so sick of talking to customer service and them telling me what a great deal this is for the "deeded" property we own... what exactly do we own? No wonder the owner of these resorts is thriving while the members suffer. Our maintenance is currently $741 a year to use this for one week. Do the math, they make $38,532 a year in these fees FROM JUST ONE CONDO!!! Save yourself the trouble and DO NUT BUY!!!

It was our first family vacation. We saved for yrs to go to Gatlinburg Tennessee to stay in a cabin. We were at a museum when we got bombarded by a Westgate employee. They pressured us to go to a free breakfast and 1/2 off Ripleys. We went to Westgate only to be so pressured and lied to about what we were getting. They took advantage of us since we were new to vacationing. They got us to get a 2 bedroom resort for 10,000 250.00 a month. They said we had 3 days to change our minds. After getting home we realized it was not what we could afford. We called them back. Wouldn't let us out. We were upset but magically a 1 bedroom was free which they told us wasn't at the time.

I begged her to just let us out but no we had to go with the 1 bedroom for 150.00 a month. Then we had to do a down payment of 2,500 plus more credit card bills from them. We didn't even know about all these fees. We feel so cheated and taking advantage of. We told them we can't keep it because we can't afford the payments. Now they have a attorney harassing me to pay 795 to Westgate so they will drop the deed. This is the worst experience I have ever been through. Save yourself. Don't buy a time share. It will only cause you heartache and pain.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

When I first bought the timeshare at Westgate Villas you could trade it anywhere and anytime. I went to Australia using it in 1999. But now it is almost impossible to trade it when you want to go. They charge what is called prime time charges and you pay extra $500 per week. This is ridiculous because I have already paid over $1000 maintenance fees per year. The maintenance fees started out at $400. I ask why they could charge extra and I was told their policies changed. How can you change rules in the middle of the game? I know what I bought and paid for upfront. Timeshare is a rip off no matter the company.

Timeshare agreement from #Westgate was altered after negotiations were made, not what we thought we were buying and we have been getting the runaround ever since. Funny thing is I have all information that was agreed upon in writing through email exchange. Seems like Westgate is known for this type of terrible business practices. I am hoping to gather all the people who have been lied to and given the same frustrating time consuming runaround to join forces to file a class action lawsuit against the fraud forced upon families.

I called to book a room in the Las Vegas resort. Agent attempted to get me to sign up for the "package" which seemed like a good idea and the nightly rate was great but I needed to check with my spouse. My second call got me another agent who quoted an even better rate which I agreed to. She then "found" the original agent who said I did not qualify for the better rate or the "package" as I was too old to qualify. We had to get a supervisor involved and I was given a pretty decent rate sans the "package".

My emailed confirmation referred to a "package" but not the dates I booked. An agent confirmed my dates but I was surprised I was being held to a 14 day cancellation rule. My credit card was charged and even an act of God could not cancel this reservation because "those were the rules". I have no plans to cancel this reservation as we are attending a conference. HOWEVER, EVEN IF I AM HOSPITALIZED OR MAIMED PREVENTING ME FROM ATTENDING, I AM OUT OF ALL MY MONEY!

We were told that until 2017 that we only had certain weeks we could use the time share but then it would all change and we as an owner could trade a 4 bedroom unit all season with usage to all season at no additional cost but this is not true. I tried to book the week of June 3 thru the 10th but was told I would have to pay an additional $1000.00. They lied to us about everything. Said we could use their Westgate resorts at anytime for $159.00 for 8 days and 7 nights but no place knew anything about it. We tried the Resort in Gatlinburg, TN and they knew nothing about it. Biggest rip off. If anyone reads this do not buy a timeshare from this resort or any resort for that matter because they are making money off of innocent people. I work hard for what I have and was going to retire this year but now I can't because I have to pay for this time share that is worthless in so many ways.

We went to the Westgate Resort in Las Vegas for a 90 minute presentation with the intention of buying a timeshare. I was assured there was childcare for my three children 11, 9 and 5. I paid $40 for the six tickets to a magic show that would have been at least $200 had we bought them outright. The childcare was the determining factor for us going as my five year old has Down Syndrome and would never have sat through quietly through the entire thing.

When we got there we were told my oldest two children would be able to stay in the childcare but my youngest would not due to him being in a pull up. Despite my making them aware of the fact that he has Down Syndrome and he should not be excluded due to his disability they did not allow him to stay. We stayed for the presentation because we would have lost the $40 we already spent. Fortunately my son did very well but that did not change our mindset. We did not buy and will never buy from an establishment that would exclude a five year old child due to him not being developmentally on target.

On October 14, 2016, I purchased a Disney/Hotel vacation package. I gave a $399 deposit. I was told by 2 employees (Debbie and Elijah # **) that I had 14 days to cancel for a full refund. I was also told that if I have any questions, concerns, or issues going forward to contact them and that they would happily assist me. When I called to cancel my reservation, I was told by an employee named Erica that I cannot receive a refund. I have to wait 72 hours for someone from their "refund department" to call me back. When they contact me, then I can address my concern and can start the refund process. I asked if I could call them or email them and I was told no. There is no way for me to contact anyone, I'd have to wait. She also refused to connect me with Debbie or Elijah, she refused to assist me further and told me that I have no choice but to wait for someone to contact me to proceed.

This is unacceptable and unethical. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING from this company. They offer you the moon and stars when they are selling but treat you like scum when you have an issue or want to cancel. The saying goes, IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS. Believe it! They will scam you and take your money.

It seem every month I make a payment then I get a phone calls for payments. When I call they say my account does not exist. Since the state deposits my pension and the federal government deposits my SS check into that account it must be. Pay all my bills with his account. Of course they charge late fees. I read the information right off my check. I wish I had researched them before I bought. They lie when they are trying to sell you one. I was told I can use the facilities at any resort. All I had to do was show my owner's card and I could use the pool and fitness center anytime. They say anything to make a sale. I found out they only get paid if they make a sale. If they don't make a sale they do get a small pay, but when they do make a sale they have to pay the paycheck back.

This timeshare company is overselling their timeshares. It is almost impossible to get a reservation during ski season. When I first bought my timeshare, Westgate assured me I would never have a problem getting the exact week I wanted. LOL! Ha! I have a problem every year! Yet, if you go online to rentals, they are renting units that are apparently not available to timeshare owners! DO NOT BUY a TIMESHARE in PARK CITY! It's easier to go on Craigs List and rent a unit at Westgate than to be an owner and get a unit. And they keep increasing the owners' management fees every year for upgrades! This company should be stopped from selling any more timeshares!

A bit of background. I and my ex-wife stupidly bought into Westgate (Park City, UT) about 10 years ago. We have never been able to use our weeks, due to illness and other things. We spent over $10k for the "property", and now because we have been unable to keep up with the maintenance fees, they are threatening foreclosure and demand we pay more money while they get the title back. Most of the time -- even though they had my email address, they sent notices -- and bills -- ONLY to my ex-wife. They are demanding we pay $1250 to let them have the "deed" to the "property" back.

Was looking forward to trip this weekend to Orlando but Hurricane Matthew changed my plans. Was suppose to call by Oct 3rd to cancel but the state of Emergency was not issued until Oct 4th. Called hotel person there told me quote, "Oh yea Matthew is coming here." I asked about what options I had to cancel. Was told to contact Expedia to do this because there was NO DEPOSIT on my account. Expedia called hotel and was told to inform me they would charge me for one night $147.38 cancellation fee.

I have never stayed here and will make sure I or anyone I know will not stay here after this. I cannot control weather had I known earlier I would have called. Wanted to see my daughters in college there so I am the one who lost out two time. Very dishonest and corrupt business practice. Wonder how many other people they have RIPPED off for less situation then mine. Guess they do not care about customers' safety and wellbeing just to make a buck!!! Expedia did a wonderful job and in agreement with me. They should have cancelled this.

I purchased The Travel Club and there are NEVER any availability. We have in the past gotten 3 condos for one price and now I'm told that the contract was changed this year. How can you change a 5-year old contract? It has ALWAYS been something with Westgate and David Siegel!! He sold Travel Club deals when he needed money to complete his outrageous mansion and now the members are cheated!! Shame on you David!! Step up to the plate and do what's right for the consumers. Unless you enjoy dealing with aggravation and let downs... DON'T PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM!!

I called the 1-800 number and spoke with a gentleman who was assisting me in the process of reserving five nights in their hotel. I paid for the 5 nights. I did the confirmation. I didn't check the confirmation for the dates because I took the word of the agent. Upon arriving here it has been a total disaster. I paid the $10 a day extra for an upgrade for a room that was horrible. That was trash behind the TV, there was stuff still in the drawers but other than that I tried to make the best of it. Pay for five nights but only get four nights because I didn't check the date because I trusted the agent. So I'm coming from Alaska now in Vegas and they say I've only paid for 4 nights.

So call back to customer service, explain the situation to somebody only to tell me that if I wanted to stay the extra night I would have to pay an additional $122. Worst experience ever. The Westgate Hotel itself even though they're in the process of remodeling it is not up to par and there is a lot of problems. Their one elevator has cracks all in it. On the floor that we were staying in there was no down button. Somebody had punched it in. Just a hot mess. I have to honestly say the Westgate Flamingo Bay was a lot better but you get over there and check in is at 4 checkout is at 11.

I just want to warn other potential victims of this trap which unfortunately I fell... From the first time I was in Orlando - USA in 1996, I am approached by sellers of this timeshare company... They never managed to convince me to buy a small fraction (1/52) 1 fit simple for the price of a luxury mansion Los Angeles. But in 2013, one of these presentations, Mr. Nilson ** seller and his manager Mr. Felipe **, used a LIAR argument!!! Which unfortunately in good faith I ended up buying the product.

They assured me that purchasing this timeshare, I and my family we would have right to use, one or more weeks, ilimitadas called weeks of escape in any hotel or resort anywhere in the world, which appeared in the Book INTERVAL delivered upon purchase. The amount of U$ 39.00 to U$ 399.00 per week, this price change would depend on the low, medium and high season, that only in places much demand should the reservation should be made 2 months in advance.

But in my first attempt to use this service, I discovered with the attendant INTERVAL, that this is a LIAR argument used by vendors of Westgate and that several victims calls there complaining about it... Since February 2013, when I discovered this lie I try to cancel my contract and get my money back and I cannot. They accept cancel but do not return the dinheiro. Outra thing that perplexed me, the cost of weekly maintenance: U$ 835.00 for 7 days, or is, U$ 3,580.00 per month for 1 simple 1 bedroom apartment!!! This without consiguir justify convincingly that it is possible... because anyone with a minimum of intelligence will pay a fee that if at a much lower value anyone rent a bigger house and better??? So CAREFUL when someone is aborado by any seller of this company offering some kind of advantage...

I am very disappointed with the services I have received from WestGate sells depart. In 2014, we upgraded our two bedroom - All Season to a three bedroom. Throughout, the years the Westgate staff have been very helpful and kind to helping schedule our vacation. Today, 9/16/16, I called to schedule our vacation to Tenn. to celebrate my grandson graduation from HS and the Army Reserve. I was told that we were past 30 days I had to pay $500.00 in order to reserve our week. I asked why? He said that we had Value Season. I told him that was not what Ms. ** told us. He asked if I read my contact. I became upset but what he said was right.

I replied, at the time we did not see a need, Ms. ** told us she was there to satisfy us and since this was not the first time we have brought from "WG", we "trusted her as telling the whole. I asked why would we trade a two-bedroom (all season) for a three bedroom (value season- for January - March in Gatlinburg Tennessee. We reside in N.C. and see enough snow. We don't have to go to the mountains.

I asked to speak with Ms. **. Guess what? She no longer works at WG. I wonder why? She's gone, I wonder will WG keep her word. I left a message at 1:35 pm asking the person who is handling Ms. **'s past customers and no one knew, but they would ask him to call me. Still waiting. If this matter is not resolved, this will be post on facebook and other types of media. I am not threatening, "No". But you should keep your word to care for the consumer the same after the purchase as you are before the purchase. Now it is September 18, and still unable to speak with anyone concerning this situation.

Apparently Westgate does not have a customer service department. A company this size should have customer service. I have been an owner for 16 years. After Westgate made an error (they sent a return email with my confidential information to another person!!!), I called them. I was switched 6 times to other unknown departments, as no one wanted to own up to or correct their mistake. When I asked, a total of 15 times to speak to a manager or supervisor, I was told there are no managers or supervisors. I was connected to a Larry **, who said he was the person to speak to, however, after hearing his ridiculous comments and suggestions, I figured out that he was just another phone room person.

After numerous requests by email this time, as the phone calls get you nowhere, I still have not received a contact email, phone number, or address to any supervisor or manager. When we first bought the timeshare in Orlando, we were told that a teen club was going to be built, a water park on site was starting soon, and other amenities. Well, the small water slide "park" went up after 13 years, never saw a teen club, or anything else. They just keep building new rooms to sell. Don't fall for the Owners Breakfast either. They tell you it is just to discuss any maintenance problems with your unit and to discuss new plans for the resort. The only thing that happens is the ol' sales pitch to try to get you to buy another timeshare. Don't waste your time.

Then there is the exchange "benefits" you get to pay for. If you exchange through their interval program, you get to pay a fee to exchange your location, and also a fee to Westgate to exchange as well. They will take your money, they will exchange your 3 bedroom unit for a 1 bedroom and tell you nothing else is available, then they charge another family for your 3 bedroom unit. All a win-win, for Westgate.

One year, our unit was dirty and smelly when we arrived. There was actually dirt and debris and trash on the floor, some pieces of metal and dirt in the bathroom sink, the furniture was pulled out of place, and dirty towel on the floor. In the 2nd bedroom strange offensive, strong odor that kept us out of there and we had to keep the door closed. We took numerous photos of the mess. After numerous phone calls to the desk and numerous requests for service, which we were told "someone is on their way," we waited 8 hours for maintenance man, it was after midnight and we were tired from traveling. We had to make do that night with 1 bedroom, then had to move to another unit that morning.

I know this sounds like a lot of other reviews but it is absolutely true. Do not waste your time with a Westgate timeshare sales experience. We were walking in the Mall near our hotel in Las Vegas (Planet Hollywood) when we were pulled into a ticket booth by a salesman telling us he had free gifts for us and he gets credit just by walking us to the counter. We were offered $69 tickets free for Chris Angel or $109 seats for $20. Since we were planning to see the show of course we said yes.

We paid the $40 for 2 tickets and agreed to take a 90 minute resort tour. We would get a free buffet breakfast and a mini vaca to use at a later time. So we showed up at 9:45 the next morning and took a shuttle bus to the resort. We were assigned our own "Tour Guide" LOL and finally hours later I told my husband to end this. Let me tell you, suckers beware! We're originally offered a single bedroom 1 week timeshare for $60,000 then we were offered a $14,000 special buy for the same thing because someone else upgraded. But wait! That still being too rich for our blood we were offered a 1 week timeshare for $7800 at another hotel. But wait! That being too much for our poor selves we were offered a 1 week vacation for $499 at another hotel. After we declined once again we were finally escorted to the exit to collect our show vouchers for Chris Angel's show.

Not done yet... oh no we had to take their free ride back to our hotel then walk to the Luxor to buy our tickets with the voucher they gave us. Once there we were told our seats were the cheap seats in the back. We had to insist on a manager with them saying they have this trouble with Westgate all the time and finally gave us our $109 seats. Chris Angel was awesome by the way! Now for the free ride back to our hotel... that was eaten up going to the Luxor and now from the Luxor we had to find our own way back to Planet Hollywood. We arrived back at our hotel around 5 pm from what we thought would maybe would be a 3 hr event. Remember we left at 9:45 am.

Westgate Resorts has been the worst experience I have ever had. I visited the palace at my lowest point, I had just lost my husband, and was left to raise 7 children on my own. I thought a vacation for myself and the kids was what we needed. When we arrived we were approached and asked if we would be willing to take a tour which would last no more than 90 minutes, we would in turn be given tickets to amusement park. I said no, but, they persisted and I gave in... After 8 hrs of hearing their spiel over and over, trying to get up and leave with them following me to the door, I gave in and bought a 5 bedroom unit.

When we called to book our 5 bedroom, I was told they only had 2 bedroom available, so I took it. Once I checked in I was cornered once again by salespersons stating they only wanted my opinion on the resort, wouldn't try to sell me anything. After 3 1/2 hours I walked out. Every time I would try to make reservations they didn't have anything. This past summer they didn't have anything so I exchanged to another resort. What do you know, it was a diamond resort and guess what they hit me with the first day... Purchase a timeshare. Told them no and in 5 minutes our conversation was over and we enjoyed our stay.

Made reservations for Vegas in April for last month, couldn't get over a 2 bedroom, took the booking. When we arrived we were once again accosted by salesperson for me to upgrade to elite. Told her no, she said fine. Wanted to know if I would fill out opinion card, told her I had been down that road, wasn't going there again. She said "oh no, just a card" they wouldn't hold me hostage. She invited us to owners dinner. We went, had a great time with great food. Made appt to fill out opinion card over breakfast, thought about it overnight, called and cancelled.

A while later after another phone call and several text later I agreed to meet her the day before we left. Big mistake... 4 hrs later I was still saying no. Was invited again to dinner, we went had a great time, but, at end of dinner was approached again about upgrading. Told her no. While we were loading the car to leave the next morning, received a text wanting to meet before I left, message ignored. We could not enjoy our vacations due to the salespersons.

I just got off the phone wanting reservations at my home resort for November. I can get a 3 bedroom but I have to pay 159.00 because I had used a 2 bedroom, that was their fault I used a 2 bedroom, not mine. I have never been able to get my 5 bedroom due to them stating they don't have it available and now they think I should pay them. I don't think so. This place is a scam. DO NOT fall for their spiels. It is ALL lies.

So, if you're ever on vacation and want to waste your time and experience car lot like sales tactics then you need to visit a Westgate timeshare sales experience. We were walking the Las Vegas Strip when we were pulled into a ticket booth asking if we were interested in discounted Zumanity tickets for only $25 each, normally $69. Of course we said yes and we only had to take a 90 minute resort tour. We were told other places took up to 4-6 hrs. So we showed up at 9:45 the next morning and took a shuttle bus to the resort. We were assigned our own "Tour Guide" LOL. Well 5 hours later. We were finally able to escape. Let me tell you, suckers beware! We're originally offered a single bedroom 1 week timeshare for $60,000. But wait, that being too rich for our blood we were offered a $14,000 special buy for the same thing because someone else upgraded.

But wait! That still being too rich for our blood we were offered a 1 week timeshare for $7800 at another hotel. But wait! That being too much for our poor selves we were offered a 1 week vacation for $499 at another hotel. After we declined once again we were finally escorted to the exit to collect our show vouchers for Zumanity in Las Vegas. So after 5 hours we were finally free from our 90 minute tour. But wait! We were offered at the checkout desk by an older gentleman to come back the next for a 50 minute powerpoint presentation and we could get more free gifts. I looked at my wife and started laughing my ass off. So if they're 90 minute tour lasts over 5 hours, how long would have a 50 minute slide show presentation have lasted. What a colossal waste of time. Never again, if I can help others prevent at least a fraction of they're time this will have been worth it. Thanks.

So my husband and I decided to stay down at Gatlinburg 2 years ago and while walking down the street we get stopped and talked into doing a presentation that would only take 90 mins. Well that's a lie and the free gifts are lie too. We told them no several times and they just kept changing the deal on us for like three hours. Finally we bought into their club being told we could go anywhere for one week and have up to three bedrooms. We only did it because the guy said they had a resort next to Disney that was ran by Disney cast members. That is a lie too. Anyway, we did and decided to do our first family vacation. We could only get into Orlando and that was 8 months in advance. I was basically told we would never get into Myrtle Beach or Gatlinburg.

So we went to Orlando and got a three bedroom. My husband and I were tricked into going to basically another presentation, even though we were told we only had to sign some papers and it would only take 5 mins., three hours later they were trying to make us owners and we didn't want to. They kept saying they didn't know how we got the deal we did and that it just wasn't possible. Blah blah. We didn't do it. Our rooms were nice but outdated, with lots of broken items. Well the vacation was ok overall.

So we decided to do another family vacation next year, I call today and they said we could no longer get a three bedroom, they reserve the right to change our contract at anytime. So now we can only do two bedroom, we have ten going and there is no way to do a ten bedroom even though we were told we could always do a 3 bedroom where 3 bedroom was offered. But not longer. They said they can change it without warning at anytime.

I will never recommend this to anyone. They should not be able to just change it when they feel like it. What's next. They change it to one bedroom or force us into ownership. I think not. It's not worth it. I'll buy more Disney vacation points. Just don't do it. Say no. And if you read in fine print on the 199 trips they reserve the right to charge you more if you don't buy from them.

I purchased a timeshare in Orlando from Westgate 8/11/15. I have paid faithfully every month and have paid more to get from under the debt of ownership. In saying that, I have never in the years time been able to use my timeshare. Each time I have called either the dates I have requested are not available or they need me to pay an additional $400.00 for the honor of staying at their property. Nevertheless, I pay them $240 each month and was told that my seven days would be free.

I just got off the phone with them and was on hold for 25 minutes of a 40-minute call. Westgate reps call three to four times a day. I receive 5 to 10 emails a week promoting services and vacations. Yet, what I have paid for has never been honored in 12 months of being an "Owner". I also have paid over $700 in property taxes which I will be saddled with for the life of this timeshare. I really want out. This company is so fraudulent and disingenuous. This is a true case of BUYER BEWARE!

Our experience seems to be very similar to the rest. Although we fortunately did NOT buy. Our 90 minutes turned into 4 & 1/2 HOURS of wasted vacation time. Boy oh boy they have the scam method of sales down to a science and I feel terrible for those who have fallen prey to their unrelenting pressure. Everyone was sooo nice throughout the presentation and were well trained to make you feel like this was the greatest thing you will ever see.

So here is how our 90 minute presentation went yesterday. We checked in upon arrival at the desk and were eventually escorted into the "cafeteria" room to meet our sales rep Scott. Very friendly guy and well trained in the Westgate sales approach. He mentioned at least 4 times that he is an "owner" at Westgate, thanks to his grandmother deeding her timeshare to him. The way they go over the numbers is convincing enough and that is how the psychological sell begins. While you are in this room, every few minutes or so a sales rep comes over the intercom telling the other repa to remove unit blah blah blah from the inventory and welcoming the newest suckers to the Westgate "family."

So I ask Scott "why is that unit taken off if it can be sold potentially 52 times?" No good answer. They are masters at making people feel pressure without words. Then they show you all of the "extras" you get if you buy right now. Never available again. Give me a break. I told him I always research before buying pretty much anything and especially something costing this much. The two bedroom unit was $43000 for one week. They are mathematical magicians at making that look like nothing.

First they ask you how much you typically spend on accommodations for vacation and how weeks per year you go. Then that is multiplied by 20, 40, 50 or whatever number of years. So Scott says he always is conservative with numbers and says "let's go low." Another sales tactic to make you think they are on your side. So our number for our vacations accommodations came to $168,000. Well why would we spend all of that money when we can "buy" it for just $43,000 and have the many extra benefits they offer, like the ability to will it to your kids! Seems like a no brainer, right? Scott assured us MANY times that he was fine if we did or did not buy, he was just here to save us money and show us how wonderful Westgate was.

Finally we were taken up to see the sample unit. It was very nice. Somewhere I would definitely stay. Then we are taken back down to the sales area. On the way there Scott points out the pics of David Siegel with so many celebrities it was almost disgusting. Then he shows us the huge number of charities that Westgate donates to. Every cause imaginable to tug at your heartstrings! What a wonderful company, right?

Now we are at the table in the make the deal area. More of the announcements of taken units and the entire sales team standing up and clapping. I tell him again I have to research and then read off the quick bit I found on my phone. All negative stuff he came up with every excuse in the book of how they could be mistaken. How only people who are dissatisfied post comments and to take them not just with a grain of salt but a whole pound. Of course there is some truth to that but... Finally he takes no from us and says he needs his manager to sign off and get us out of there.

Now we have been there for 3 and 1/2 hours. A woman comes over and asks how Scott treated us and what they could have done to make the sale. Again I tell her I need to do more research. She leaves and comes back with some seemingly amazing deals of units that are available due to circumstances that they owners had to give them up. Wow a 2 bedroom ocean front for $18,000! I must say I was nearly suckered in on that one. Shewey! Boy so they ever watch every expression on your face and use it to play it on your partner. Scott says to my husband, "You should have seen her face when she saw that price. You both deserve to go on nice vacations. Let me show you how you can make her happy."

I piped in and said I was merely watching my husband's face because we were really needing to leave. I told him we really needed to go because the kids have been waiting way too long. Okay so he gets up again and over comes another woman with another deal. Something about a way to try out the resorts to see what we may be missing out on. $995 for three separate stays at Westgate properties.

I again firmly said "no, we have to leave now." She tried to continue with my husband while I was texting the kids. At last we were released from the waaay too long waste of time just to get tickets to a local water park for $100. I'd will pay $400 next time to go to the water park and not lose out on 4&1/2 hrs of my time. Please Google David Siegel's name and Westgate to see what your hard earned money goes to. I cannot believe a company like this is allowed to do this to people. He is nothing more than a glutinous piece of crap and hopefully will be taken down to the level his company has taken so many people.

I stayed at this hotel on August 5, 6th 2016. My family and I got stuck on elevator a couple of times. We went to the front desk and spoke to Gina. She advised me that an elevator company was called to fix problem. We went to have breakfast when we came back again the elevator went from 3rd floor all the way up to the 25th. It was insane and scary. My 3-yr old was scared out of her mind. We were actually considering on buying their timeshare but HELL NO. I will not stay at that hotel ever again. That elevator is a death trap. It is so dangerous never again. I used to stay there when it was the Hilton. They have better service. I don't know what happened to the staff. I paid close to $200.00 to be stuck in elevators for the 2 days. I was there to celebrate my mother's birthday. It was HORRIBLE. If I could give it a -1.

While on vacation in Las Vegas during the week of Aug 9th my wife and I was stopped at the Miracle Mile shops by Westgate representatives. We stated "if you are selling timeshares we are not buying. We have already been through this crap with Holiday Inn Vacation Stay in Florida." They promised "we are not selling anything". They promised us show tickets and free night stays if we go to a 90 min presentation... but don't worry "we are not selling you anything"... 4 hours later, 4 sales people later, BUY BUY BUY. How dare you not BUY!!!

The sale-mobsters tried every intimidating tactic they could. It did not work. My wife and I was not having it. What is it with these people? Like most vacationers we just want to enjoy our vacations without the Westgate-sale-**. The Westgate-pimp-manager/owners have you ** selling your souls and telling the public lies about having a better vacation and pay for your deeds on your new vacation home??? What new vacation home? Do you mean pay for Westgate deed, property maintenance, property insurance, and fat ROI's **! Please. Westgate are scammers!!! Stay away far away.

My wife and I have been paying on this westgate for two years and this was our first year. We could have a vacation in Florida at their westgate resort in Orlando. We were shock to see what our money had paid for. First we were suppose to be staying in a 2 bedroom grand ocean view but instead got a towers. Everything was old and outdated. Let me be more blunt, the sink faucet from the kitchen was broke, the ice machine was broken, the blankets and sheet had stains on them. The carpet was dirty with a foul odor and the rooms were covered with ants.

Talk to the manager in which she was sorry and she would take care of the issues. She want us to move to another room but we were so pissed we just stayed in that room which we clean it from top to bottom. The couch pulled out into a bed but the mattress was so wore out that you could feel the springs and everything else metal to metal. This was by far no vacation, but a freaking nightmare. We were suppose to stay a week but we check out early because we were too upset. Any suggestion on how to have a better vacation or get my money back?? Would really like to know.

We recently attended the presentation given by Westgate Vacation Travel Club in Branson Mo. After some thought, my husband and I decided to sign up. After we got home, 2 days later, I started to look into the club a bit more. I started to get an uneasy feeling after reading so many negative reviews. After some more talking with my husband, we decided to exercise our right to cancel within 3 days. I spoke with the representatives we worked with that day, and after voicing our concerns about the club, the financial representative we originally met with confirmed our cancellation and that they would take care of it and refund us most of our deposit minus the $500 "administrative fee".

As with any type of refund, I was a bit apprehensive that I would still be fighting with them weeks and possibly months down the road. But I am happy to report that they did refund our deposit, and thus have had no other issues with them at this time. We will be visiting their resort at a later time to take advantage of the $499 (from the $500 fee) to stay at one of their properties. We will re-evaluate the club at that time. But for now, I am very pleased with the process of being able to cancel our membership, and appreciate that they took care of it like they said they would.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.
  • Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.
  • Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.
  • Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.
  • VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.
  • Best for Travelers with a favorite vacation destination, young professionals with disposable income and large families.

Compare Timeshares