2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

1.1/5 (45 ratings)

About Westgate Resorts

Westgate Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Originally visited Branson and bought our second time there. We recently spent Christmas in Myrtle Beach and upgraded (as we are starting a new family tradition). Our experiences have been excellent so far! We have 2 bookings already this year: Valentines in Branson, and a Summer vacation in Mesa, Arizona. What I recognize already is to make it worth it you need to plan ahead, and pay more toward your principle on the mortgage. So far so good!

Original review: July 14, 2021

“WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SALESMAN LIED TO YOU.” Words straight out of a Westgate employee’s mouth, when I recently attempted to book 4 rooms for a vacation using our 2019 weeks. I was told they were my ownership was very low priority and Branson had no weeks available for the entire year! I kindly explained to them that in 2020 I was promised that they would reactivate 2018 and 2019 weeks plus the 2 weeks we had left in 2020 and they would hold the same priority as 2021 weeks because they went unused due to unavailability. All while our maintenance fees continue to rapidly increase!

When we started this in 2008, we had 3 weeks with maintenance fees at $700 a year and now with 5 weeks EVERY OTHER YEAR our fees have skyrocketed to over $1,700 a year plus a $100 surcharge if you want to break up your years. No such fee was EVER brought up during the sales pitch. I am appalled at the amount of unprofessionalism this company displays! WARNING WESTGATE DOES NOT KNOW THE DEFINITION OF MORALS OR ETHICS!

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2021

DON’T FALL FOR THE “YES, I want to save up to 40% by taking a resort preview”, when booking a stay with Westgate Resorts on their website. My girlfriend and I opted for the discounted rate if we sat through a 45-minute presentation. 45-minutes TURNED into 4 hours! That was the first LIE! When it came to the sales pitch after hearing all the great things that our money could buy with this “investment”, we politely declined and explained it was something we could not afford right now. He came back with counteroffers 3 TIMES and all 3 times we declined. You would think, third times a charm, but here comes this guy’s manager with what he referred to as a “deal of a lifetime”. We were so exhausted and hungry at this point we wanted to make it STOP!!

We ended up making the purchase as we saw that as our only way out the door. We liked the room they sold us and again they made it seem like were going to have all these perks and amenities no one else was going to have access to unless they were VIP. That was the second LIE!! When we FINALLY were able to book our stay after several failed attempts, we were given a subpar room that was not as nice as the room they sold us at the presentation. That was the third LIE!!! We purchased our timeshare unit from someone that had “sold theirs back” to Westgate, so when we asked if we could sell ours back, they said that wasn’t possible. That was the fourth LIE!!!! They lied to me about the EVERYTHING! The whole purchase process was grueling, misleading and outright torture and now we’re stuck with it!

Original review: July 13, 2021

I initially called for the special they have on their website Westgate reservations For the Disney 3 day vacation package which includes three days two nights at the Westgate vacations Villa or Westgate town center and $300 visa gift card for Disney tickets in the park purchases. When I called I spoke to a young lady. She transferred me over to another department after me asking her for this special that they have on the website she couldn’t find so I had to be in transferred to another lady. She mentioned to me she does not know why I was transferred to her because they are straight for purchasing vacations not the timeshare.

She asked me, "Before I transfer you back over to timeshare" she wanted to make sure I meet the requirements and was also ask why I wasn’t asked this question before I was transferred over to her which I told her I do not know. We went through each question she asked. She said, "You “do qualify” then I was transferred back over.

I was in contact with a lady name Natalie which she consistently states she’s been working there for 14 years and she works for corporate. I mentioned to her the previous conversation that transpired from the beginning of the conversation. I can sense hostility and I said to her that I am interested in the 3 day 2 night for $300 gift card. She said she does not have that special on the website with an attitude. I mentioned I'm looking at it. So immediately wants I got the sense she wanted to deny me so she jumped right into it and asked ”Do you make more than $100,000 a year." I said, "Yes. I make way more than that." With that she asked me questions which I answered regards to age and major credit cards etc. I guess I passed those so we went back to my finances and in detail.

I mentioned to her I have a full-time job thats over 93k. Also I am an owner of homes that I rent which is way over 100k. She told me that I do not qualify. She had me go through the terms and conditions while being extremely rude mentioning she’s been doing this for 14 years repeatedly and I do not qualify that owning real estate and renting is not a job. It's a commission. Huh? And that amount is not incorporated in the minimum of 100,000 a year. So we went to the terms and conditions. There was nothing stating that Owning a building and renting units is not a reason to be denied qualifications but so she rushed me off the phone. Said she has many of calls.

I got off the phone with her. Called back two hours later. I spoke to a young lady. Very nice young lady, all of a sudden “I qualify”. Very interesting so we went through the process. Got my information and my email and at the end of the day I decided not to take the offer because it’s a $369 for 3 days and 2 nights and it ended up to $792 because they added water parks and only $100 gift card. She also said she didn’t see a $300 visa gift card on the website so I posted it on this review to show the credibility of the people working there especially NATALIE “who works in corporate and working for 14 years.” NOW it’s clear why she’s been working there for 14 years. Enough said.

Original review: July 7, 2021

My husband and I were called and offered a vacation; I was unaware at the time that we would have to sit through any kind of timeshare presentation. My husband informed me when we got there that we would have to go to this meeting on the last day of our stay. We meet our salesperson, and my son is immediately taken off to the corner with some strangers. I asked why our son couldn’t come with us and she says so there are no distractions during the sales pitch and not to worry, these people were certified to work with children.

After lunch, we toured the property, and at the end of the tour the sales rep gets a call about her son being taken across state line by her ex-in-laws. Once back, she asked us to hold on and walked away to make a phone call, her boss walks over to finish the pitch with an outrageous price that we respectfully declined. There were 3 more offers before I caved because that was the only way I could get back to my son. I FINALLY SAID YES AND THEY STILL DIDN’T TAKE ME BACK TO MY SON. They took us to another room to do paperwork, still not allowing me to see my son! The presentation took 5 hours, and they held my son hostage, and the ransom was buying into the scam! My husband is active-duty military, and he is constantly stationed all over the country. He risks his life to defend these scumbags, so they are free to rip people off!!!

Original review: June 28, 2021

I buy the trial vacation package but during the presentation they say I can use any of the hotel under Westgate Resorts but is not true. I can only book the "resorts" not hotel and the days they want me to book not when I have my vacation. They ask me to book reservation from one year prior to travel. As self employment person and father of two kids that is impossible to do. They do and promise everything in order to you buy and when you buy it you are screw.

Original review: June 24, 2021

Westgate Resorts is giving out misleading information. We did a 90 minute tour that turned into a all day nightmare. They will tell what you want to hear and just to get your money. A lot of things was said like this is an investment and you can rent out your timeshare and use it as a Airbnb and make money off of it. Very untrue information. If you're thinking about it think twice and don't do it. Trying to book a week is never easy. Nothing is available for the time you want for months away. Disclosure of maintenance fees was not explained until months later. What a joke!!!!

Original review: June 23, 2021

We sat through our 2 hour presentation. We decided to purchase for $1,495 a week in Cocoa Beach anytime. They had us sign the agreement on an tablet. Nowhere on the screen where I signed did the agreement say that we were FINANCING our purchase for an interest rate of 17.99%. He was clearly not showing us on the screen the part where it said that. I would have never agreed to that. So now we're paying an extra $246.60 when we don't want or need financing. There is a reason that they have you sign on a tablet - so they can hide language! If it was paper I would have seen that.

Next, instead of giving you paper with the terms, they sent us away with an SD drive. So we weren't able to see the contract until we got home from the vacation. Again, another reason why they don't give a paper contract. Next, they told us that we could use the week ANY week of the year. Once again, I never saw anything on the tablet that mentioned week limitations. I'm a formal paralegal, so I pay attention to what I'm signing. They literally hid this. So people, be aware that they will lie and do not sign anything digitally.

Original review: June 20, 2021

We first became associated with Westgate when we accepted one of their discount Disney World offers knowing that we would need to attend a sales presentation. Upon arrival at the presentation, we were given a tour of the resort and the amazing room, then seated with a member of their sales staff. The sales staff told us that this was a real estate investment that we could leave to our children, that it could be rented out and make us a second income, and that the maintenance fees would never increase. They continued to prod us, telling us that that this was the most amazing deal, until we gave in and agreed to purchase this real estate investment.

When we finally visited the resort for the first time, we were shocked at the quality. It was NOWHERE near what we were shown during the tour and was much closer to a motel feel than a luxury resort! When we expressed our concerns, we were told that we needed to purchase more points in order to stay in nicer rooms. Even though we agreed and upgraded for nicer rooms, NOTHING CHANGED! EVERY TIME we have visited it’s the exact same experience. We are paying astronomical rates and could stay at a better-quality hotel for the price. Westgate is the worst company I have ever dealt with!

Original review: June 11, 2021

They are terrible. You can’t use your time when you want. But they always have space for new non members cause they are currently paying. But you have invested into a ** timeshare company. I wish we did not waste our money???

Original review: June 10, 2021

Dealing with the customer service is a nightmare. FINAL STRAW.... This is why I wrote this review. I asked a simple question of what number to call if I did not receive a refund. At that time Travis, the customer service rep told me that I should have received it. So I asked again if there was a number to call if it wasn't there. Again, he said I was refunded. I said, "Ok. But if I go back and look at my bank account and it is NOT there, can you give me a number to call?" He said, "YOU would have to contact your bank." I explained to him that his company does the refunds, not my bank. AND HE HUNG UP ON ME!!!! Thank God I cancelled. This was the 4th time I dealt with their awful customer service.

First time they booked me a month early. Second time they increased the rate over $60 a night for a 6 day stay because the price now increase and they could do anything about honoring the first rate. The second rep (who was kind) told me she was looking for a new job because the system is a nightmare and she could see where the first individual booked it wrong. But was still not able to honor the price. Third time. I told the rep the price increase was too much and I needed to cancel. I could not understand her. Which made the conversation complicated. Final was with Travis.... and I just wanted to make sure the reservation was cancelled since I never received a cancellation email from rep #3. I did get an email when I cancelled the one for the wrong month from rep #2.

If you truly record your calls, like it states while you are on hold. LIsten to the call with Travis at Approximately 1:58 CST. I called the 1-888-808-7410 number after attempting the other local numbers that kept me on a loop of punching 3-4 numbers before taking me back to the main menu. Those looking for relaxing stay....Find a different company with better customer service that won't stress you out. Kind regards to those who read this post.

Westgate Resorts author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information