1.45/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

640 Westgate Resorts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

While staying at our friends’ timeshare we were curious and attended the personalized sales pitch. Incredible!!! They wouldn’t give us documents to review, only what they were scribbling in front of us. They told us that we had to make the decision WITHIN THE HOUR and that we would not have another opportunity to buy. We asked for the agent’s business card and she refused, saying “we don’t work like that “. What??? Most of the focus was on how we could make money. No documents, no business cards or contact info, an hour to make an expensive decision. No way!! We went to Disney Vacation Club afterward where EVERYTHING is available for review and WITHOUT pressure. More obnoxious than Westgate isn’t possible.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I am sick to my stomach that I fell prey to this. I have tried to book a week and it is not available. I asked if there were any restrictions and was told, no. I call and try to book but there ARE restrictions. I was told that hotels would be at a lower cost, I can book the exact same hotel at a lower cost directly through the hotel. I am so upset that I gave this company my money and that they have made it their mission to scam people and take their money. DO NOT DO THIS. Please be smarter than me.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

First I want to say these people are professionally trained con artists that take your call! They will tell you what you want to hear and scam you out of hundreds of dollars! My husband and I wanted to surprise our children with a trip to Disney! Our youngest has SPD so it had to take a trip anywhere. So Hotelscorp came up in my inbox and when I called she made me feel that this would be the right time and the right company to use because of our Situation!

It's been a year and I have not gone because they want more money or they want to downgrade the Initial package they told us we were going to have! I have spoken with over 6 agents and each one wants more money! No! I ask to speak with a supervisor and they are in a meeting or they will give me a callback! I haven't heard from one single person! I have to call and call and still we need more money! Please don't fall for their con as we did! Now a nine-year-old boy will be crushed! We will take him to Disney and it will be the best time he ever have!!! I hope they get shut down!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We just bought a timeshare in Las Vegas. We were approached outside a casino and decided to go for the free breakfast and $100 in chips. Breakfast was so-so Continental style fare. True the "90" min presentation turned into 3+ hours. The sales rep was very pleasant as she gave us the tour, the rooms were beautiful. Everything they told us was put down on paper. The end meeting with the "title lady" was recorded as well. I felt treated very well. We haven't used the "service" as of yet so... We'll see.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

First of all... I wish I could give this no stars! On February 1st, 2019, my wife and I were vacationing in Las Vegas and we were checking out everything on Fremont Blvd. We were stopped by a woman with Westgate Resorts and she asked us if we were planning on seeing any shows and we said “well we weren’t planning on it.” She took us over to this other woman and she said she could hook us up with some good show tickets. The only catch was we had to tour the Las Vegas Westgate Resort and Casino the next day for 90 minutes and they’d give us free brunch. She also promised a free 3 day 2 night stay at any of their resorts. Sound too good to be true? Well that’s because it was.

The next morning on February 2nd, we showed up to the hotel at 10 am for brunch and the 90 minute tour. A salesman from Russia came and got us from a small lobby. We sat at a table in a huge room that looked like the inside of a Star Wars Space ship and ate brunch with this salesman. He asked us about our family and showed us pictures of his two kids and wife. I guess he was trying to show us he was a family man. He started talking about a timeshare and we immediately became confused and told him we were just here for a tour of the hotel. He’s like “Oh shoot I think you’re with the wrong salesman. Let me go talk to my manager.” He comes back and says “I don’t usually do this but I can get you a different salesman if you want or I can just do it.” We said he was fine and that we didn’t need someone else if he was okay with it.

Mind you he came and got us from the lobby not the other way around. Anyways, he continues talking about timeshares and how great they are. We’re still confused and waiting for him to just give us a tour of the hotel. He promises us that we can travel all over the world for under $1,000 and that it would be $209 per week to go anywhere. We let him tell us the whole thing and obviously it sounds too good to be true. He said our cost would be $1,031 in HOA fees and $27 in taxes every year.

Finally, he takes us on the “tour” which includes the casino, betting room and then finally these condos in the 16th floor. The condos are nice but I ask him “I know you said that this costs $1031+$27 a year but how much is it really?” And I quote he said “It’s expensive.” I’m not even sure how many weeks you get per year to use this or exchange but it was between 8 to 10 weeks.

So we go back downstairs and he moves us to a table closer to his manager. He pulls out a sheet to show us a cost and it’s more than expensive, it’s unrealistic for most people. I don’t remember the exact numbers because I was mostly in shock but the condo was over $108,000, down payment was over $18,000, the monthly payment was over $2,000 and the APR was 18.99%. I immediately grabbed my wife’s leg and squeezed it so I wouldn’t fall out of the chair. So we told him no immediately and he looked all disappointed and confused that we couldn’t afford that and we told him that it’s more than our mortgage. He then goes to get his manager. Both him and his manager sit down and the manager starts going over the same thing and starts asking which one we want to do.

We then tell him we can’t afford it and don’t want to do it. The manager says okay and starts talking about making the condo a 5 night stay instead of 7 and that would cut our monthly cost down to just under $1,000. We told him no again. So then the manager says okay let me go your tickets you were promised. So he comes back again with some information on a condo in Florida and this payment would be $231. So we tell them no again and he tries one more time with one that would cost just over $100.

At this point I’m so mad and I have no idea anymore what they’re trying to sell us but I’m done. We tell them no for the last time and I look at Simon and chew him out. From what I can remember I said “We were lied to. We were told this was a brunch and a 90 minute tour of the hotel. Now we’ve been here for almost 4 hours and we’ve been more then nice about this. We had plans today and it wasn’t this. I swear if he comes back one more time and tries to sell us something I’m walking out and I’m going to tell everyone how big of a scam this is.” Pretty soon the first salesman disappears and this guy comes who’s supposed to get us our tickets. He sits down and starts writing Vacation and I knew exactly what he was doing.

From the other comments I’ve read he was going to try and sell us a vacation package. I was so furious at this point that all I said was I’m done and got up and left. My blood was boiling. My wife calls me and says the guy told her that we can’t get the show tickets unless I come back. So I come back after about 5 minutes. The “ticket guy” was completely rude and I’m not even sure what he said at first. He takes us out of the big room and down a hall. He starts talking crap and saying that he’s just doing his job and he doesn’t appreciate me getting up and walking out on him. I said “It’s not you, I was just done. I told the other guys that if they try to sell us one more thing that I was going to walk” He says “Well it must be me because you didn’t get up on them. You must not like the color of my skin.”

Both my wife are shocked that he just threw the race card out there. My wife said “uh no, it has nothing to do with your race.” The guy was completely rude and unprofessional the rest of the way mumbling under his breath. We finally get where we’re going to check out and we get our ticket vouchers not even actual tickets. I’m so angry at this point that I can’t get out of that hotel fast enough.

I’m pretty sure everything was all an act from the very beginning and they were okay with us walking because then they could keep our $70 non-refundable deposit! I’m not sure if everyone else in the room heard me but I hope they did! I’ve never been so angry at complete strangers in my life! I’ve been telling all of my friends and family to not have anything to do with the Westgate Resorts and now we’ll never use the “vacation package” they gave us because I never want to set foot in their resorts again! Lesson learned!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My husband and I just stayed at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort and Spa. We booked a week through a relative’s timeshare with Westgate. The trip started off great. Check in was a breeze. We had someone take us up to our room and check to make sure everything was up to par. The room was brand new (many buildings are new due to rebuilding after the 2016 fire). The view was amazing! The only thing we had to contact maintenance for was to turn on our hot water, as it was a brand new room.

Our concierge started off nice. On our 5th day, our concierge met us in our room to get our opinion on the room and to collect our notes on which areas of the room needed maintenance. The visit quickly turned into a sales pitch. We repeatedly told her that we were not interested in purchasing, but she persisted. After wasting 1 hour of our time in our room, she then insisted that we go with her to view a model room and to sign paperwork in front of her supervisor in the lobby. She and her supervisor wasted another hour of our time in the lobby/sales area. We finally had to get up and walk out.

When we did that, they acted like they didn’t force us to meet with them. This greatly upset us for the rest of our trip. We declined their invitation to escort us back to our room. We waited, in 20 degree weather, for the shuttle to take us instead. Very pushy/shady employees. If we can use a relative’s timeshare, then why would we purchase our own? We also have relatives that allow us to use points often for a different timeshare. Our “concierge” aka sales rep, who was so nice and helpful before we stormed out, never contacted us afterwards. Once they try their sales pitch, and you don’t buy, customer service goes out the window. We would never purchase from Westgate, especially after reading all of the reviews here.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I know some may not believe it but besides the full day of being fed and attending a long presentation, let me say that we were there for my birthday. We viewed the rooms and decided on the 2 bedrooms suite. We received show tickets to the Prince show which we enjoyed dinner for 2 at Benihana's, we also received breakfast tickets for the nice dining restaurant, gifts to include a tablet and a bling women's Westgate tank top and a Limo ride on the strip. Each year we have visited our room has been impressive and our view Awesome! And the customer service team have been Awesome! Now the last time we visited and came in late past midnight we did not understand the process of the check in for the members. But when we told them we were tired we received breakfast passes to enjoy their restaurant. Can't wait to visit again this year!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Timeshare offer today and Westgate did every sleazy sales tactic ever. Promised "VIP" loft at booking and received a decent but poorly maintained outdated one. Dirty, poorly lit and 2 cabinet doors fell off night one. Second bathtub stall is "homemade" and inaccessible for most. After speaking with others here, same story over and over... they intentionally book guests in old units and at the presentation act "surprised" you weren't assigned to the VIP ones. Then they show you the "new ones" you should have been in and would be buying. Breakfast was blah, but ok as it's free. Didn't expect to eat with the agent at a small, loud cafeteria-style table. Uncomfortable.

Anyway, I listened to 3 agents try to sell me on an outdated unit at 50k, 600-250 a month. They try fake pics (I saw the album labels in their cell), guilt, passive-aggressive rudeness, begging (need to make a sale or get in trouble), being accused of being cheap, unfriendly and hostile. Amazing how fast the sugary sweet agents turn nasty when you say no or ask logical questions... Why are the properties falling apart? Why is the decor so old? Why do they contradict info in the written terms, saying fees won't apply, yeah right- it's in the contract!

Anyway, customer service at initial check-in was rude, subpar at the presentation as well, substandard rooms and passive-aggressive salespeople? But they wonder why I wouldn't buy? I'll never visit a Westgate again. It wasn't a horrible room, but if you're not in the owner's property, just pay for a hotel. So turned off by Westgate. For the property here to be so old fashioned, you would think they would at least force staff to be nice until after the presentation... Btw, landscaping is amazing!!! That effort should be put into the rooms.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We have been owners with Westgate Smokey Mountain since 1999. Our overall experience has been very good. We have stayed at over the top resorts that we normally could not afford. All of our stays with Westgate over the years have been excellent. Great 5 star customer service, and incredible rooms and amenities. Westgate trade really well through Interval International, and if you put in a request through II early enough we have always got the trades we have wanted. The only reason I am giving a 4 star is during our original sales presentation, there were a few things they were dishonest about, but still have provided great experiences for our family.

We made our purchase to force us to go on vacation even though our budget has been tight over the years. It helps us spread the cost over the year. We pay our maintenance fee in January and get it out of the way, then just have to get there and pay for entertainment on the vacation. I am not sure why the resort gets such bad reviews when we have had so many good experiences with them over two decades. The reason I wrote this review tonight, was during our stay this Christmas they had an owners dinner with a high end buffet that was really good.

We has a picture taken with Santa and Mrs. Claus. We did not know where to get a copy of our picture, but was in communication all week with our personal Westgate rep through text messages. On our way home she text us one more time to ask how our week went and we asked for a copy of our picture, and just received it in the mail this evening. A high quality picture with 1st class service. Thank you Westgate and our personal concierge Heather for a great week!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with customer support, and I feel bad for them as they catch the brunt of all the "infactual information" as they call it that comes from their sales team. My wife and I have been owners for 4 years now of what they call a "Value Season" 3 bedroom lock off. We went to their presentation and got paired with a sales rep who tried to sell the expensive time share and instead of letting us go after we said no we were presented with three more offers and finally with the promises of being able to exchange to other resorts and exchange companies they talked us into buying.

I have had nothing but problems trying to book in under 30 days to avoid the 500$ peak season upgrade fee if you try to use it during normal months. Also if you want to exchange to another company you have to have your request in within your season or you get told its a no go. None of what their sales team told us was the truth. They are flat out liars. I wish I would have recorded the transaction so I could take them to court and get reimbursed for the trash they sold me. Also keep in mind once you paid off the time share you are on the hook for a $1,000 a year HOA fee. I am sure the people who purchase the $40,000 time share have great reviews but those who are on a budget trying to invest in the future this is not for you. You can have a great vacation in a hotel or Airbnb for $1,000 or less and save yourself a headache.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Westgate is a horrible place to buy a timeshare. We are getting letters stating that we are behind payments and that if they're not paid our acct will go to credit bureaus. I contacted them stating different things and they are horrible, unfriendly, and very rude. I wouldn't tell anyone about this place. They are liars and take you for everything you have.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

What a nightmare! Excited for our 2nd day at Animal Kingdom and I have to be restrained by my husband not to do anything to this rude salesperson. She was a smartass after I mentioned up front we are not interested in buying or renting due to a recent death. Westgate is a SCAM! I will always use other means for vacation than Westgate. Pools and hot tubs are nasty anyway.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

When we bought 25 years ago, the taxes/maintenance fees were very low. Now we're nearing 1K YEARLY. To change to a different week, you must pay. PAY TO CHANGE THE WEEK. It's $129. We belong to an exchange service: the cost is over $300 every 5 years. This has been the worst 'investment' ever. PLUS Westgate is not keeping the condos up to date. The furniture is soiled, stained, and ratty looking. If you are smart, you will take the free gifts/meal and RUN when you can. I have tried to sell this at least a half dozen time and after I got ripped off the first time through a 'realtor' that did nothing and charged $450, I tried eBay several times. We tried to donate it and NO ONE WILL TAKE IT AS A DONATION!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My husband and I attended a presentation on 12/26/18. We should have known something was wrong when we had to get to this presentation at our own expense. The presentation is convincing (warning the 50 minute presentation is 2 hours so make sure you grab some sandwiches in their preview room). We would have purchased even though we were thoroughly convinced ahead of time that we wouldn’t buy. What changed our minds? Thankfully we read the poor reviews. We mentioned this to the presenter and his manager who weren’t concerned and offered a cheaper price with an option to upgrade. The reviews we read warned against this as well. So why am I writing this review if I didn’t purchase? Because the gifts are deceiving.

I asked the lady why she only gave me 3 vouchers when they promised 6 tickets. She said that’s because we lose money when people don’t go. So they’ll give you the other 3 tickets at the box office. And guess what they sure will if you pay for them. We had buy one get one free vouchers to a show that starts at $100 a person (the ultimate variety show at V theater). The Michael Jackson vouchers worked. Those were legit. The $100 dining dough is a card that you have to load $5 off coupons and can only use one at a time and the majority of the places you can use them are off the strip. Some can be used at Rio which is off the strip as well.

The Vegas discount card is legit but you can just walk down the strip and get the same or better discount handed to you. So if their gifts are questionable I’m sure their product resembles their gifts. I hope you read this before you commit to them. If you go to the presentation make sure you grab some sandwiches. According to Bert they’re made by Starbucks which is probably a person named Star Buck and not the franchise. And take the unlimited drinks offer while you’re there because your time is worth something.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I love my timeshare with Westgate. Best thing I ever done since I like to travel and stay in good places. At the beginning when I saw all these other people complaining about their property. I was not too happy about my purchase but now that I already know how to used my property and make money with it. Best purchase of my life. In my opinion the key about any product is to used and the most important thing is to learn how to used correctly and stop complaining so much people.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I own a timeshare with the WESTGATE. I usually deposit my timeshare into Interval International. I called Westgate and they said they had not received payment but as soon as they do that they would deposit the week into Interval (third party was sending payment to them). They never did. When I called today they told me it was too late to deposit my week. You made the mistake and now I lose my week. Really???

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

It was during Hurricane Irma, and the electric power was lost the next morning after arrival. The check in/out staff did not return to work the next day. It was pure pandemonium became apparent. The city of Orlando issued an order not to leave until 6 pm. I left anyway and returned home.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Don't fall into this money pit!!! Read the other reviews please. This is a massive marketing push. We were encouraged to attend the sales presentation and when you decide not to spend the 1000's of dollars they are asking you to commit, they send in a sales manager to try to guilt you into doing it and then insult you for even coming to the presentation. It was also fascinating to see how unhelpful everyone became once we decided to not buy even with the 3rd salesperson who tried to convince us to buy. Among other rude comments, we were told that our salesperson still had a family to feed and we were 'closed-minded' from the start. It took all I could to walk out. We were told that 1 in 4 people say no so don't disrespect people who say no like they are the only ones who said no. At that point I just wanted to get my kid from the movie theater and the Disney tickets.

BTW for those of you sitting there trying to decide after your breakfast, just close out and go downstairs to the gift area. Also! The presentation was 90 min plus... We were there for 3.5 hours. Thank you to those who took the time to give fair warning. My family and I are extremely grateful and hope you can get out of this program. I will also be posting comments with the Better Business Bureau and suggest you do too if you experienced this nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Promises, promises. Ugh!! Promise? 1 1/2 hour presentation, 2 night vacation gift package, cash, and a brunch- we received a three hour presentation, nasty hotdog, canned chili “brunch”, and the vacation? Another timeshare offer. Scam! Scam! Run if your time has any value!!! They kept saying, "Okay, we will check you out." Four people trying to still sell while they check you out. Then they said, "We pay the people to schedule you, we can’t help what they offer you." So Westgate doesn’t even honor the incentives the scheduler promises. Ripoff!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We purchased in 2000 and have always found our stays pleasant. The resorts are attractive and well maintained. However we are constantly hounded to upgrade. We are always told we own the best of the best, yet when we show up the next year there's something better (in terms of space or flexibility), and they pressure us into upgrading. We have succumbed most times because we want flexibility. So each time we buy the best of the best most desirable most exchangeable property. And when we go to book, there's another glitch. It's $250 extra to go in Feb in racing week (??!!) or Presidents' week. We are totally fed up. We'd love to get out. But we're into this around $40,000 plus $1200 annually. What a ridiculous deal! I would never, never advise anyone to buy Westgate.

Today I asked how we could get out of the timeshare. Customer Service told me 3 ways: (1) gift it (presumably to an enemy), (2) sell it, the procedure is described at ardaroc.org (not sure I got that exactly right), or (3) return it voluntarily to Westgate - but they are not obliged to take it back (even though they will pay nothing), and if they do agree there will be costs we must pay. Please don't buy here, it's an absolute scam. (But if you already have, well, it's a nice, if ridiculously expensive, place to spend a week.) If you want to know what kind of greedy, clueless people your money is going to, watch the documentary movie "The Queen of Versailles". It's riveting.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They use online 3rd parties to get you in on a "no obligation" GUARANTEED only 90 min. presentation. Right - just try to pry yourself away after the 90 mins. are up. This is the standard typical timeshare scam. And guess what? I scammed these loser scumbags right back in order to get over $200 off of our Disney Hopper Pass for all 4 parks for 3 days. Got a Venezuelan dude who has been in the country for 8 years. Thick accent, he could barely speak English. And he had to do in a room with lots of other scammers selling talking loudly over the top of loud 80s crap pop music. Tried to get him to be "nice" since my who was with me is a Colombiana.

I told him I had never been in a timeshare presentation before (actually had gotten free car rentals in the past in St. Maarten and Cancun when doing much, much less low pressure presentations) but that I knew about them. I shot down every one of his arguments. We do long 3-4 day weekends, not full weeks at a resort. When we do 1 or 2 week trips, we rent a car and hit many cities (4 in a week in Iceland and 6 in 2 weeks in Spain) so timeshares are just not a match for us. We have no kids. We don't do cruises. We have a high income (unlike the poor trash strewn throughout the room that they were probably successful in scamming) so we can afford to stay at high end places if we want or at highly unique AirBnBs.

Yet he kept on and on with scenarios and #s that did not compute and that he was just making up. For example, I stated I wanted to cruise the Galapagos in a small ship. He said they had partnerships there. But alas, it was only a single hotel on an island. I said I wanted to go on safari. He said he had those but alas only in South Africa but I want to go on safari in Botswana or Tanzania.

Clearly upset that he was not going to make a sale, he started a Latin cultural standoff that my Colombiana wife immediately recognized by stalling and stepping away to chat with his peers and making us wait and wait. It was utterly infuriating and my wife stated "That's a cultural thing that Latinos do particularly to try to show up American gringos". I escalated twice to his managers and they were completely rude and verbally abusive. After 2 hours we finally got out there and on our way and "hopped" all around Disney World on their dime. Good for us, too bad for these criminal scumbags who should be prosecuted and jailed by the Florida AG dept.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I went to Orlando this summer from 7/29-8/05, I needed up purchasing a timeshare. After a tour and information session I decided I didn't want one and explained that I couldn't afford the monthly payments. The seller was upset about it and went to talk to his manager and they worked something out so I was able to purchase one. When going to the notary she gave us her phone number in case we needed to contact her. Two days later when I called her saying that I wanted to cancel Mrs. ** said that she was off of work and she was also taking the weekend off. I insisted on calling her back so I can return everything that they had given me, she even made up a fake manager Sandy who also wanted to persuade me into staying with them.

After reading my contract I found out I had 10 days from the purchase date to cancel my timeshare without obligations or penalties. I called the company and sent emails very frustrated saying that I had 10 days. Upon calling and calling because Mrs. ** would no longer answer I send back everything and another worker very kindly gave me the actual manager's number and she was then able to cancel my timeshare and give me back my payment in full.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The recruiter from the timeshare manipulates me out of my money. I did not want to buy but they kept on manipulating, they even used sex, women, with big cleavage **. Whoever been abused by a recruiter from Westgate Resorts, should sign a lawyer petition and sue Westgate Resort in Orlando, FL. EVERYBODY SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO A FULL REFUND! We have not used the package and it not expired, Westgate Resorts will not give a refund. Everything is writings in very small fine print. They gave me a small computer chip with all the information. This is not customer satisfaction...WE WILL LIKE TO HAVE OUR FULL REFUND TO MR. DAVID SIEGEL. Your recruiters that represent your company ruined my family vacation.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I went to Westgate Lakes Resorts Orlando, FL 10/27-10/31. I enjoyed going to Disney and Universal and the rooms at Westgate Lake resort mediocre (average) at best. As a part of my stay I had to listen to a timeshare presentation. The presentation was good until I advised the seller that I was not interested in buying because Westgate didn’t meet my needs. I like all- inclusive resorts so I can really feel like I’m on vacation, no cooking, no cleaning etc. Once I advised them of what I was looking for they brought over a second guy Louisy. This guy was clueless and a very lousy salesman. He attempted to BULLY and INTIMIDATE to get me to buy by saying, besides not having enough money and it not being affordable what else would keep you from buying. Then he attempted to trip me up on words. BAD, BAD, BAD, CUSTOMER SERVICE. What a turnoff as a customer you’re trying to convince to buy.

He tried to tell me that I could be all-inclusive with Westgate. Then I asked about the fee. He took me over their travel department to prove his point, but it worked against him. I found out in addition to paying the $199.00 for trading destinations there is an additional resort fee from $49.00-$300.00 per person per day to add all-inclusive depending on the resort. Buyers Beware: Westgate current interest rate to buy 17% over a ten-year period, Yearly or Bi-yearly maintenance fees, taxes, trading dates and destinations not always available. Buyers Beware, beware. Do your homework before you go. Things are not what they appear to be. Ensure you are getting a deal and don’t let the salesman. intimidate you into buying something you don’t want. These guys are Westgate don’t care. They are just trying to make a sale. Protect yourself.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We stayed at Westgate Resort Orlando for one night. It looks nice on the outside, but don't be fooled. The locks didn't work, there was no hot water, there was black mold on the bed, and no one would answer the phone. They took $20 from us as a "deposit" for breakfast, which was nothing by a timeshare pitch. When we asked for our money back because we were leaving, they said no. When we complained about the above issues, they said, there was nothing they could do for us. They Don't Care. There was no way to submit a complaint and they don't have an email address. So, we are just reviewing them on as many sites as possible in the hopes of saving other people.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

In March of 2018 I booked Westgate Lakes in Orlando on Expedia for our upcoming vacation. Nowhere on Expedia's site does it tell you that Westgate is a timeshare. It is simply lumped in with all of the other hotel rooms that pop up when you search the area. When we got there to check in we were informed that we had to do the 90 minute presentation but we would receive free breakfast and a $100 Visa card so we scheduled our tour for the next day. We had zero interest in purchasing a timeshare and told the salesman that from the get go. He was very nice, polite and very low pressure. Even the 'manager' that comes by on the second round of their pitch was low key and pleasant and he didn't put the pressure on either. He told us to have a good day and he would be sending someone over to get us checked out and get us our Visa card. Great! We thought we were done!

Here's where they got us; the last salesman to come over was a young guy, again very nice, low key and he asked if we were enjoying our stay and we said, "Yes, we loved the property so far." Then he asked if we would want to come back. We said, "Absolutely but we aren't buying a timeshare." He said he understood but would we be interested a 'vacation package'? He explained that this would be five weeks that we could use over the next three years at any Westgate resort in the US and that we could even use it Internationally for a small fee. He told us we could make monthly payments but that we could use the package while payments were being made.

Both my husband and I thought it sounded too good to be true so we grilled him with questions: "How could this be possible? You're sure we can use this anytime?" And on and on for a good twenty minutes. He had an answer for everything and we fell for it. He brought back our 'paperwork' on a nifty thumb drive in a slick packet from the resort with brochures and a discount booklet and sent us on our way. We were thrilled with the great deal we just got!

When we got home I got a welcome letter from Westgate and the monthly payments started being deducted from our checking account. In September we decided to use one of our weeks to come back to Florida. We had been told that we couldn't use the package at the same resort twice so we chose the Westgate Villas this time. I called to make reservations and was informed that I had to pay off the balance of the package before we could use it. That was quite a surprise since that was one of the first questions we asked and were told that we could use it while we were making payments. But we really needed to get away so we paid off the package and booked a two bedroom suite for seven days.

Things were going great! The condo was beautiful, right across from the pool, the food at Drafts and the pizza were great! We were having a great time until I get a text from Ivan ** telling me as per our contract we needed to meet so he could go over any questions we might have and transfer the funds to cover our stay. I had no idea what he meant by that but we set up a time to meet and I figured I'd ask him then. We met Ivan and he took us upstairs, showed us where the breakfast buffet was and offered to seat us outside on the 'Owners' Patio' but we declined because it was a little warm outside. We sat down and he talked about our week being paid for by transferring the money we had paid in again so I asked if he didn't mean the five weeks because that's the package we had purchased and that's when the song and dance started:

First he got pushy and rude when he tried to give us the sales pitch again and I reminded him that in his original text he promised a quick 10-15 minute meeting and no sales pitch. He asked why we didn't want to buy repeatedly and then why were we at Westgate Lakes in the first place if we didn't want a timeshare. I told him we were there because Expedia doesn't list it as a timeshare and we were quite surprised when we checked in to find out differently.

Then the up and down and back and forth to the office started: He hadn't seen a contract like that in a long time. He would have to go pull our file. Blah blah blah... He finds our file and shows us where we only signed up for 7 days and 7 nights for the total contract price. It's all digital and apparently all on that thumb drive at home. Then a 'manager' comes over and tells us the 'dirtbag', his words, that sold us this package has been fired for selling this product that doesn't exist BUT the 'idiot', again his words, also locked us in for a ridiculously low price on a condo back in March and they would have to honor it if we wanted to buy today. We were furious!

But Westgate had that covered too; not only had they tried to seat us outside in the first place, as the meeting progressed I noticed two large plainclothes security guys loitering near our table (my husband is a big tough looking guy) AND when we sat down Ivan had us go over the layout of the condo and asked if there was any damage or maintenance issue that needed to be addressed knowing that we would be so mad we would want to go back and throw things when we found out that we had been had!

They had all of the bases covered from day one. And when I asked if there would be any compensation for what this guy had done they said no they weren't authorized to do that. Any reputable company upon finding out that people were being lied to and taken would try to make it right! My theory is that they sign up people for the payment plan on the package never expecting them to pay it off and use it but in this case we did and they got caught in their lies. We are angry, embarrassed and just shocked that we were treats this way by Westgate. But the old saying always rings true: If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I hope our story will keep people from falling for their slick sales pitch in the future! God Bless.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My boyfriend and I were spending our anniversary weekend in Las Vegas. As we were walking around a young man pulled us in on the pretense of getting a free gift because we ate at Wahlburgers. So we walk in and the guy at the counter is asking me what gift I wanted (free dinner, show tickets, gambling money, etc) and all we had to do was take a tour of Westgate's new resort in LV. I said I didn't gamble much and we had just seen a show the night before so I wasn't really interested. He said then the best option for me was the free dinner and $100 in gambling money (side note... he said all I had to do with the gambling money was put the card in, then immediately cash out and I'd get $100 in cash, more on that...) so I agreed. He wanted $40 from us but my boyfriend told him no, so he dropped it down to $20. I paid the $20 and we were booked for the next day.

The following day we were a little late getting to the "welcome center" because parking in Vegas is crazy. They said they would hold the shuttle for me. Which they did. My boyfriend ended up meeting me at the resort because he couldn't find free parking. Anyway, we get to the resort and they check you in. Then you wait... and wait... of course the 90 minutes doesn't start until you sit at the table with the salesman. Finally they call you in and you sit down. They ask you to put your phone away because the cameras are watching and you have to pay attention if not the salesperson gets "fined", and the 90 minutes can't start until you eat and put your phone away. You eat this weird mix of food and then they start. Pretending they sympathize with you and they know you are gonna say no but just pretend because the cameras are watching.

Finally they take you up the "condos" and they are literally glorified hotel rooms. No joke. I've worked for different hotels for many years and what they claim is a 4bd is actually 4 hotel rooms... Wait... What? They claim each one has a kitchen but none have a stove? It's just weird. Then they tell you that property taxes are only $9/year... Again what? Finally back down to the table and they start going off on the realities of travel, the advantages of "owning" which to me you don't ever own anything, you just pretend to own yet are still technically renting. Owning the right to rent in my opinion.

Anyway, we told them no and the manager comes. All of a sudden it went down from $120; TO $7K... Again WHAT? Then he started throwing more numbers out there and I had just about had it because this 90 minutes turned into an all damn day thing. Nothing of what he was saying was making sense and I had tuned out already. When we turned down his third offer he just took the papers and walked away. Then the salesperson (who still claimed to be our "friend") brings the customer service guy who is claiming to just be processing our gifts. He then also tries to sell us a week vacation for who knows how much because he kept writing numbers down and circling them and scratching them out. (again I had tuned out long ago).

Once we said no to that, the salesperson just grabbed her stuff and left. Didn't even say goodbye, or thank you or nothing like that. I told the customer service guy that I just wanted what I was promised and to leave. He walked me around these crazy hallways to the "gifting desk". There some not so nice girl confirmed that I Was getting my $20 back and then she said I was getting LUNCH (not dinner like I was promised) and that it ended at 4pm (it was 3:30) and the $100 slot play. She gave me all of that and I left.

When I went to go get the actual card that had the $100 on it I read the receipt and it said that I cannot CASH OUT like the guy that lured me into this told me. That it all had to be played or abandoned. WAIT. WHAT? I was told I Could just cash out and keep the $100. I felt so cheated and lied to and time wasted, day wasted. I didn't even want it because I don't gamble. Sure enough I put the stupid card into machine and it says I cannot cash out promotional money. Waste... Then we tried to make reservations for lunch for the next day and fully booked. So couldn't even use that because we were leaving the next day. Overall the worst experience of my life, waste of time, waste of effort, money and an overall SCAM!!! STAY AWAY!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I called regarding a Disney World package I had found online. I got an absolute AMAZING deal! After moving on to the next group to handle my credit card information we went through my package to confirm what I would be getting. I corrected several comments and redirected to the original agreement in order to be able to truly keep the verbally agreed package. Then began the itinerary...on day 2 we were to go to a timeshare meeting, which had yet to be divulged until this moment. They had already taken funds from my account. I stopped them and was firm in stating I NEEDED this to be canceled now. I was on hold for some time. I specifically asked for a cancellation number and was put back on hold. I was so disgusted with their lack of honesty and misleading direction to get you signed up. I would have appreciated direct honesty. Because they denied me the simple truth until after taking my money I would NOT recommend Westgate Resorts.

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2018

Upon request, Westgate Resort agreed to send me a Warranty Deed In Lieu Of Foreclosure (WDIL) to release me from all financial and contractual obligations. I got it notarized and sent it back and all of the calls, letters, emails, and threats ceased. It was the magic pill. You do have to request it and they will send it to you reluctantly, but they will send it. I was 6 months into my contract when this took place.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I purchased a timeshare at Westgate after staying at the one my parents owned. My intention was to learn how to use it to help them take full advantage of the potential to earn extra money as well has have vacation spots around the world to stay in. I quickly realized that it was designed to be more of an expense than a money maker. It was also something they could only use in even years but pay taxes on every year. I quickly realized it was a scam and 6 months later I stopped paying on it and allowed it to go into foreclosure. They will call and harass you, send letters, threaten you, but it doesn’t go on your credit and that’s what matters most.

When it goes into foreclosure, Westgate Resorts is willing to provide you with the option of signing a Warranty Deed In Lieu Of Foreclosure (WDIL) to release you from all financial and contractual obligations. Follow the instructions, get it notarized, and send back without the requested fee. You do not need to spend any more money than you already have. They will tell you that a $900 plus processing fee is needed, but send a written letter back stating that you will not pay the fee because you do not have the money for the fee, or that you’re simply not going to pay it and to continue with the process. Shortly all of the calls will stop, you will be out of the contract, and your credit is never at risk. It’s a scam to begin with. If it was going to affect your credit, then all of the payments you made would build up your credit, but it doesn’t even show up. I hope this helps. If you need personal assistance, please email me at **.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Do not buy timeshare from Westgate! It's all good when they reel you in but boy, their attitude sure changes when they know you caught on to them! Every time we talked to a different person, we got a different answer. We purchased timeshare and when we returned to our hotel we started thinking and going over the info that was given to us by our salesperson, his manager (closing guy) and the title lady. Some stuff didn't jive so we went the following morning to ask. The other title lady said stuff to us that we never even heard of. And when we were on a conference call with the original title person Marcia she acted like "yes, I did say that to you" and like we don't remember her saying that. Yeah, right.

So when we returned home we contacted the sales guy Terrance and he never returned our call-when he was our very best friend when we were purchasing. He said he can call us anytime and gave us his cell number. Guess you couldn't call him if you wanted to cancel. We were lucky enough to have the closing title lady's cell number so we called her to ask what we need to do to cancel and that's when there was a big time attitude change. She said she was out of the office but would email us on the next business day with instruction on cancelling. At the same time she kept texting us to try to conserve the business. "Was it the down, payment? I thought you said Terrence was so nice blah, blah, blah".

Well, she never emailed us on what we needed to do to cancel but we returned everything they gave us the next day-booklet, binder, tablet and signed the cancellation form. Thank goodness we came to our senses in time. I would NEVER buy from them! They're like all the other timeshare con artist. BS comes out from one mouth to the other and then when you question them they act like you're the stupid one when you're actually the smart one to catch on to their BS!

Westgate Resorts expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

• Best for: Travelers with a favorite vacation destination, young professionals with disposable income and large families.

Profile picture of Lisa Ann Schreier
    Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information