2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Westgate Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: April 5, 2021

I got scammed into making a purchase, the ownership is not cost effective at all and once I started making referrals as a travel partner they cheated me out of my commissions. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: April 2, 2021

Saturday, March 27th: Water on the floor of the Master Bathroom and had spread from shower stall into the toilet closet. Water on/in the jacuzzi tub. Called Housekeeping and maintenance came with plunger thinking it was a clogged toilet. Figured out it was not and didn’t know what the problem was (thought maybe housekeeping spilled water and forget to clean up). Maintenance requested housekeeping to come in and clean up water. This was completed 1.5hrs later.

Sunday Night, March 28th: At 1:15am, we were woke up by the sounds of running water coming from our Master bedroom shower. I investigated and found that there was running water coming out of the light in the shower and more water coming out of the ceiling above the jacuzzi tub. I called Housekeeping and they sent a maintenance worker to investigate. He said it must be a plumbing issue and that he would go upstairs and tell the people to stop using the shower and/or tub because of the issue in our room. He also said that he would contact the plumber in the morning to work on the issue.

While we were standing in the kitchen area, we both heard running water coming from the locked door that houses the mechanical unit (furnace and AC unit). He opened that door to find the ceiling had partially collapsed and there was standing water under the mechanical unit. He said this was a serious issue and it would be taken care on Monday morning.

Monday, March 29th: We decided to go to the beach this day, because we assumed the maintenance workers and plumber would be in and out of our room fixing the problem. When we arrived back to our room at 6pm, there were no notes or voicemail left for us and the floor was yet again wet. I called at 7pm and they said a maintenance person would be right down as this was a high priority. After 30 minutes, no one had arrived. I called again asking for a manager and was told that ‘Manny’, the manager would be down within 10 minutes to see what was going on. Manny never showed.

At 7:45, a maintenance worker showed up, again with a plunger, to resolve the issue. After seeing what we were talking about, he filled out a form using his phone describing what was occurring and that a plumber needed to resolve this issue in the morning because of the safety concerns. He stated that we should not use the master shower or jacuzzi due to electrical shock issues until this was resolved. He did not have a key to open the locked mechanical closet and apologized for this but said they would look into it the next day.

Tuesday, March 30th: By noon, we had not heard anything from the resort and no one had shown up, so I again called and asked for a manager. After a 10-minute wait on the phone, I was told that ‘Carlos’ would be arriving at my suite to see what was going on as, they can see online that an issue has been ‘filed.’ We wait the day and still no one shows up. Tuesday evening as we are eating dinner, we hear water leaking out of the locked closet and again call. Maintenance sends someone down, who again does not have a key to the closet but says a plumber will need to fix this issue and says something is already on file about this. He cleans up the mess with towels and leaves.

Wednesday, March 31st: We wake to water running out of the light in the master bedroom shower and out of the ceiling into the jacuzzi tub. And now there is mold and bubbles in the paint on the ceiling from where the water has leaked through. Now mind you, we have NOT USED OUR OWN SHOWER OR THE JACUZZI SINCE MONDAY.

We feel that these issues and the fact that they were not resolved in any way for the safety of the occupants puts us a great risk. In every step of the process to try and resolve this issue not only for us but for future occupants, we have found that there is a lack of concern, follow through and communication from every person we’ve spoken to. Not only is the customer service aspect lacking but the housekeeping aspect shows little care and motivation in making sure they do a job to completion with a focus on cleanliness (i.e. floor soaking wet with standing water when we arrived, lightbulbs not working, handprints on the sliding glass door, telephones with no directory of resort listings, etc…).

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2021

Check in was late. We got our room keys to our 2bdrm villa with jacuzzi tub. Upon entering room smelled damp like mold. Floors were wet. I have a family of 8 so this smell was crazy. Now it's after 10pm and half way through our showers and baths raw sewage started coming up through the drains and toilets. The smell was horrendous???. So I go back to Welcome Center and request new unit. The 90 minute tour was 4 hours. No one cared about our stay. Only making money. I do not recommend. We were given $75 in Westgate vouchers but that's nothing when we have 8 guests and a drink there is $5.

Original review: March 23, 2021

My family and I bought and have paid-in-full a Timeshare from Westgate Resorts in Kissimmee, FL (Orlando) in 2013. We have also paid our just over $1,000 annual HOA fees every year as well, with the exception of 2020/2021. We have been hit extremely hard by the current Pandemic and have experienced job loss. On the current $2,400 balance due (including interest), we were offered a $50 discount. Then we were offered a 6 month payment plan that was almost $500/month where interest would continue to accrue. This is the ONLY company we have dealt with that has not been more accommodating with a reasonable opportunity to get back on track.

This is not the first issue we have encountered with Westgate Resorts. What we purchased was based on an updated unit, but when we went back the following year, we were placed in an older, dated unit. Again, unacceptable. I'll admit I am a bit of a "hotel snob", which is why I would not have agreed to purchase the "week" in an outdated building/unit.

When visiting resorts that sell/push timeshares and/or vacation clubs, tread lightly. While it sounds like a GREAT plan initially, as it unfolds, it rarely stands the test of time (even within the next scheduled vacation). I had always heard about these types of issues, but I was caught up in the moment with immense pressure in order to get on with our vacation with our children. With AirBnBs today, you can get a week-long vacation in most vacation spots around the states for less than $1,000, which is the minimum annual HOA fees you will be expected to pay for life.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Every year the cost of maintenance goes up. But the rooms remain outdated and bug infested. There is hardly any availability for your timeshare as they promised. Seriously considered finding persons wanting to launch a class action lawsuit. Advice: Make them take you to the unit they are deeding you and not the model before you sign. Also take pictures of the unit number on door and the interior. 15 years later, go back and retake photos. You will see that absolutely nothing has been updated or improved, although Maintenance fees continue to increase. If I had to do it all over again, I would not purchase.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I would give a negative star if it was allowed. This was one of the worst experiences my family and I have ever been through. We are young and did not know anything about this. We were body snatched at an attraction in Gatlinburg, TN. We were promised free tickets to other attractions in the area and complimentary tickets for a 2 night 3 day stay to anywhere we wanted if we toured their resort. Sounds great, right? Well, no, just the opposite.

The tour was supposed to last 90 minutes. We ended up being there 4 hours! We were lied to many different times. For example, did you know that Dave Ramsey has 2 timeshares at just that resort? No, no he doesn't. 3 adults told them "No!", and that we were not interested more than 10x, but they kept on and on and were extremely rude! They offended all of us at different times during the session multiple times! I am most upset about the time they took up for my daughter to experience and enjoy Gatlinburg!

Original review: March 16, 2021

The property and one bedroom deluxe room we’re in are beautiful. That being said if you’re going to do the timeshare presentation be prepared to buy or be harassed. I was told as a woman I’m required to bring my boyfriend in case I need to make any financial decisions. This was after I explained we’re not married and have separate finances. The timeshare presenter Andre was lovely and polite. But when you get back to the conference room that’s when management comes in. They strong arm you. I listened to the entire presentation and said clearly I don’t want to purchase. I was asked over and over why. I was told they know since I’m on vacation money isn’t the issue.

I finally explained I don’t want to impact my debt to income ratio on my credit and they said no one asked for those details after literally they kept asking for details and I advised them it’s rude how they want my personal financial information. I was literally told I’m close minded and they’re just trying to open my mind because I didn’t want to buy. If you continue to say you aren’t buying no matter what they say you’re not being compliant with the presentation because you’re mind isn’t open. I told them up front they don’t need to do the dance of sending additional people who magically have an amazing one time offer. I was told that wouldn’t happen. So by the time we hit manager 3 Brad I pointed out that’s what is happening.

So my boyfriend was there and wearing sunglasses and Brad came over and forcefully asked to see his eyes. Why? So then Brad says he can’t focus because he’s too curious what color eyes my bf has. I’m completely serious. So Brad starts doodling on the sheet of numbers they write to try and sell you. He was doodling eyeballs. He was basically there to waste our time because they were pouting about me not buying. Finally my bf revealed his eyes including his lazy eye. Brad continued his discussion on eyes. Brad then said he doesn’t know why he’s there. He was supposed to be signing off on us completing the presentation and not buying so we could leave. Brad kept saying we could leave as a veiled threat that I’d be out of compliance with the presentation.

So finally Brad says he can sign off saying I am not buying and the offer I had will be gone which is what I wanted but they could not provide me with a copy of this paperwork. There were several other times it was clear Brad was just messing with us and we pointed those out to him. As we were leaving he says to us, "I’m going to sit at this table for a while if that’s alright." It’s their table so again Brad just was being a jerk. But then he looked right at my bf and says, "I’ll be seeing you around." Why? We’re not doing another presentation. So my boyfriend says why and Brad says, "I’ll be seeing you and I am being completely honest." Brad then does the thing where you put your fingers to your eyes and pointed to my bf. This man is a manager and knows my bf has an eye disability.

Original review: March 16, 2021

We first visited the Westgate Lakes property in Orlando because we were gifted a trip by our daughters. While there we were told to attend a one-hour meeting to learn more about ownership with their company. No matter how many time we told the staff during this meeting, which was far longer than one hour, that we did not want to make a purchase because we were on the verge of retirement, they kept pushing. After 4 hours, we felt that we had no choice but to accept one of their offers and give in to their demands. When we returned home, we discovered that we did not own at the Lakes property, but the staff had switched our purchase to the Westgate Palace location without our knowledge or consent.

What kind of company does this? Six months after this purchase my wife became very ill, and we can no longer afford this added expense. When I called to explain the situation, they showed absolutely no sympathy for our situation and told me there was nothing that they could do and we are stuck with this purchase. This is ridiculous!

Henry R

Original review: March 6, 2021

If I could give a 0 star rating I would. Was poached by a Westgate employee while on vacation to look at the property and get a tour. Spent over an hour with a sales rep with them telling us about all of the supposed great reasons to buy a timeshare. As we continued to answer his questions honestly, he eventually got mad and made us leave. He even got an attitude with us and made snarky comments when we left. 2 hours of my vacation was wasted.

Original review: March 4, 2021

We were in Williamsburg celebrating my Bday and while leaving a restaurant, we were approached by a couple to attend a timeshare session and the award will be $200 gift card. We informed them that we’re not interested and been there done that. Well, they persuaded us and after over 90 minute session, about 4 or 5 no’s, not at this time, we finally get our gift. So, on our way home I check the balance of the card and it showed $200. Great.

The next day my happy butt made a $4.87 purchase at a bakery and the cashier informed me that the balance is $1.00. I checked online and just had me going back and forth with putting the Info and my name. Called the Resort and the receptionist left a message for the manager. Been 2 days and still waiting. Called the number on the card and two days after we got the card there were two purchases that I know we didn’t make. But my purchase from the bakery was not listed which was made the next day we got the card. Doesn’t add up. NEVER AGAIN will I attend a timeshare session. NOT WORTH IT.

Westgate Resorts author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information