2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

1.1/5 (59 ratings)

About Westgate Resorts

Westgate Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Westgate and any company like it should be shut down. In a nutshell, buying a timeshare from them is essentially agreeing to pay maintenance fees (they determine how much) for the rest of your life. There is no easy way out of the contract. The fact that they won't take the "property" back from you tells you that it's absolutely worthless. Take a look on eBay and find hundreds of owners trying to unload their properties for $1... they just want out of the madness.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

They promise the moon and don’t deliver. Booked tickets through an agent in Branson, they said if we went to the Westgate Presentation we would get almost our entire $$ back, almost $300. We took time and gas to go there and they immediately “disqualified us” as we didn’t “meet their criteria“ as our relative had given us an upgrade on our hotel we paid for. WHAT??? That is their business how??? Trust us, they will find a way to “disqualify” you so you get $0! If it sounds too good to be true, it isn’t true! BUNCH OF CROOKS and now they have all kinds of our personal info.

Get buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I hope this review reaches people in time to save you from wasted money and time like our time and money has been wasted by Westgate Resorts. We are writing a negative review for a few reasons. First, we were lied to about how much our monthly payments would be. The most important reason we are complaining is because we have not been able to properly use our timeshare as so-called owners. The only thing we own is debt.

When we signed, there was a $300.00 down payment and we thought we would have this paid off in no time! Our payments in the beginning were high and have been different each month. August 2015 our payments was $390.00. September and October 2015 our payments was $388.00 on both months. From November 2015 to present day, our payment have been $188.26 monthly. Between January 2016 and December 2020, a total of $11,040.00 had been paid on what was supposed to be $10,200.00. That does not include the annual maintenance fee, or any payment made in 2021.

In the five years we have "owned" this timeshare, we have never received an actual contract with details regarding additional terms or fees. There was no provided Truth in Lending statement, nor advisement of our right to cancel the contract with a recession period. We were told this was investment and quite frankly it is quite the opposite. This has become a total financial burden after learning about all the hidden fees!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

They are scammers!!! I bought my timeshare in August 2021. They told me a bunch of lies, I was mislead by them. No one is available to help you, you call them, they will send you to multiple People, until one of hang up the phone on you. Now I’m in the process of hiring a lawyer to get me out of this mess. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Westgate cruise and travel is by far the most ridiculous company to have a timeshare/membership with. I have canceled my membership with these people on three different occasions and they are still robbing me. There is no way to say this but there may be some literacy barriers with them because it seems they cannot understand when a person ask to cancel a membership. It seems the opposite to continue taking someone's money after you explain it to them in words you would think they understand. Karma will make sure to come around on this company for sure scammers!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

When I saw an ad on social media for a 3 night trip to a Westgate Resort for $100, I should have realized it was too good to be true! I knew that we would need to go on a tour of the resort for about 45 minutes, but we had NO IDEA that we would not be given rooms there. When we arrived, we learned that we were actually staying at a totally separate hotel in downtown Gatlinburg. This should have been a red flag, but we continued on with the weekend. The tour was nowhere close to the 45 minutes we were promised – instead, we were forced to spend over EIGHT HOURS with their sales staff!! We had our small children with us and instead of letting us leave when they started to get fussy, they just gave them iPads to keep them occupied.

We finally just agreed to one of their continuous offers so that we could leave, and our kids could rest. The staff went through the contract as fast as possible, never showing us any truth in lending documents, told us the interest rate on the loan, or told us that there was a cancellation period. Had we known there was one, we DEFINITELY would have used it! Since we returned home, we have been upset and unsettled about this purchase and now we are stuck, and Westgate will do nothing to help us!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Had been told that I have to wear mask at the presentation when I booked my hotel stay. At welcome centre Had posted signs about wearing a mask at the presentation being mandatory but insisted that I wear a mask anyway while waiting. Was told to stand outside till I was called. They were running late. Rude and lacking in customer service skills. Some staff have no masks fully on. Was told the owner mandated the mask rule. No sign displayed.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I accidentally signed up for one of these via Vacationoffers.com and it was the biggest mistake. My partner had a panic attack towards the end of the presentation because of how stressful and confusing it was. We needed to leave and the presenter told me it was fine and we wouldn’t be charged the $300 fee! We were there more than the required “90 minutes” of the nightmare. Next I check my bank and I’ve been charged $300! I’ve spent all morning calling customer service for both VO and Westgate. WG has horribly rude customer service and refused to even listen to me. Stay away from this place!! Not with any “free gift” or money saved.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

They put us in a nasty hotel Tropicana. Paid 450 when they told us 225, then they said we will get a 100 gift card and when we turned them down they rejected all our gifts! Will never come back again!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Pros:

- (1) Space - There is considerable space available for families and guests.

- (2) Amenities - Having a kitchen with appliances (fridge, dishwasher, micro, oven, laundry, coffee, AC) and a granite countertop for cooking is great, keep that going.

- (3) Aesthetics - You guys do a wonderful job at presentation (in context of room atmosphere). Plenty of lights, mirrors, a king-size bed, a bathtub with water jets, tile floors, a dinner table, a sunroom, and paintings all make the stay a bit more homey.

- (4) Discount/Gift Card - For attending the 2-hour presentation on the 2nd floor of the lobby.

Cons:

- (1) - 1.5 stars for Maintenance

- (2) - 2.5 stars for the Discount/Timeshare Presentation with Mr. Z. **

Explanation:

- (1) Maintenance:

(a) We booked a room months in advance for 6 days and 5 nights, but when we arrived the shower didn’t work at all. A phone call was made to the front desk in the lobby and they assured that the shower would be attended to. The shower never worked during the entirety of our stay so my wife and I had to use the bathtub for bathing purposes. Messages on our resort phone were checked, but the phone wouldn’t play back the messages. My mind is blown that a resort would allow guests to stay without making sure the room was operational first. (-1 star)

(b) So this is going to be a bit of a laundry list, but legitimate arguments (-0.5 star);

(i) Having guests sign a waiver stating that during their term of occupancy, they can be videotaped or have photos taken of them at any time without consent for whatever reason is extremely invasive and although you may defend yourself with, “we do it for security”, we know you also do it for marketing.

(ii) Entertainment - The TV/cable package selection is terrible. We never even got a TV spreadsheet to navigate through channels for a particular network.

(iii) Atmosphere/Wear & Tear - Scrapes and spills are painted over, scuff marks from shoes on the interior wall frame are left visible, some pullout drawers have no knobs, spring door stoppers are missing, paint chipping off the wall(s), squeaky cabinetry could use some WD-40, and the kitchen drain could use some cleaner because every time you run the water that sewage smell fills the kitchen.

(iv) Conclusion - It appears as though the focal point of this resort is that “appearance is everything” (just like flipping houses) and I agree that first impressions are important, but functionality is another story. Thus, these rooms don’t appear to be maintained or sanitized as well as they could be.

- (2) Discount/Timeshare Presentation with Mr. Z. **

(a) First off, Mr. ** knows what he’s doing. He’s very well organized, easy to follow and understand, well dressed/groomed, seemingly a guy you could have a friendly conversation with, and made mention twice that no matter what we choose we’ll still be friends. So what could go wrong? Well let’s begin;

(i) Blindside - When my wife and I booked our room, we were offered the room at a discount and the promise of a gift card if we attended a 2-hour presentation. No additional information about the presentation was provided which is extraordinarily vague, but we kept an open mind and listened the entire time.

(ii) Time Quoted - The agreement we had for attending stated that the presentation was 2 hours, Mr. Z. ** quoted us 90 minutes, and the overall time it took to complete the presentation was roughly 5 hours.

(iii) Rejection & Pitting My Wife Against Me - Over the course of our presentation with Mr. ** I had kindly and politely said, “no thank you, I’m out” five or so times and you could tell that Z.’s attitude and tone had flipped 180 degrees. The guy just wasn’t happy being rejected. Every time I said no, Z. would leave the table and then come back with a lower offer and at which point he focused on my wife because she seemed more into it. Considering the pictures that he was sharing from his tablet I’m honestly not surprised because they would grab most people’s attention (traveling and luxury).

Mr. ** had expressed his view that my ability to communicate with my wife is poor and I should discuss with her first before making a decision for the both of us, but the thing was that I never decided for both parties, just myself and I made that clear. My wife has opinions of her own that I’m open to, we have exceptional communication and as far as I can tell, little to no secrets. Mr. ** just wouldn’t accept no, and he either fired back with a lower offer for the sake of affordability or targeted my wife with questions... baiting her with fantasies of traveling all over the world, generating wealth, and living the dream. Also, Mr. ** made the joke that my wife has a secret stash and every woman does, which I didn’t care for mainly because “trust” is pertinent to a successful marriage. Therefore, Mr. ** was unnecessarily aggressive. Needless to say WE didn’t appreciate this.

(iv) Condescending/Belittling Remarks - Ok, as I was kindly and consecutively rejecting the idea of investing into a condominium on account of my current financial situation and requiring additional time to research the investment, you could see that Mr. ** was getting a little more loose with his mouth. For anyone familiar with business and law, you never sign on the spot.

But without really knowing anything about me (goals, finances, occupation, dreams, etc.) Mr. ** had no problem sharing his views of me which were; that I’m close-minded, I’ll never get to where I want to be in life with the way I’m living at the moment, and that I’m going to die in a bed (just like that photo he shared with me) wishing I had lived... which is just despicable. The bottom line is that Mr. ** didn’t get what he wanted (a sale) and so he responded like a child. Honestly, it felt like he was trying to get a rise out of me to have me escorted out and contrary to what he said in the beginning of the presentation, we clearly aren’t friends.

(v) Pressure Tactics - Pushing my wife and I to sign on a condominium within 90 minutes to 2 hours with the promise that our property would not depreciate over time, we could go anywhere at any time (exchange), touring us through a VIP display room at the top with a balcony and a fake cleaning lady, showing us pictures of money in our pockets as well as a suitcase full of money projecting the notion that our immediate decision would equate to wealth in the near future, and that it was a “now or never” type deal because laws prohibit Mr. ** from handing out his card until further research is done and that if we didn’t invest into real-estate now then we never would... c’mon, this is borderline illegal or just flat out illegal. Not to mention, our conversation was interrupted “4” times so that we could clap on account that someone near us bought their deed to one of your condominiums.

Additionally, we were told by Mr. ** that the reason timeshare salesmen publicly announce and clap is so that no other salesman talks to them again, which doesn’t make sense and here’s why; 1) you have to sign in at the front desk and fill out paperwork to be called, and 2) they’re in the network (computer) so you wouldn’t make the mistake because of the law right? Because that was the first thing Mr. ** brought up (being fined/jailed for seeing someone more than once after the initial presentation). So honestly, it sounds like you plant people in the audience to project the vibe, “hey, they’re doing it, and you should too”, which coincidently coincides with some of our conversation when it came to “influence.”

I would also like to add that even a typical mortgage would give you “3” days to consider an agreement before signing, not 90 minutes to 2 hours. And lastly, if Mr. ** was happy to share how long he’s been with the company and his 100+ cliental, then why is he still working? Needless to say, you may be investigated in the near future by the CFPB, FTC and or the State Attorney General.

(vi) Disbanding - After the final offer was pitched and rejected with Mr. **, he said he would be back in a moment, but never came back. So the fact that my wife and I kept an open mind, listened to what he had to say, tossed around some questions for interactivity/relativity, and gave up “5” hours of our time equated to Mr. ** abandoning us, which was very rude and unprofessional. He could have easily and cordially expressed something like, “I appreciate you guys taking the time to meet with me. I’m sorry things didn’t work out, but maybe I’ll see you in the future. You two enjoy the rest of your day.” Nope, nothing... poof, and he was gone.

(vii) Final Offer - I had already kindly rejected the offer five or more times, my wife agreed with me, and Mr. ** was gone at this point... but we were approached by another individual with another proposition and my wife was the target once again with a “final offer”. As enticing as it sounded, my wife and I consensually agreed not to invest and the individual respected it (thankfully). Contrary to what we wrote on our survey, we just wanted out! Thus, we left to enjoy what was left of our day.

Final Thoughts:

The -1.5 stars on Maintenance in contrast to the -2.5 stars on the Timeshare Presentation should really emphasize how damaging the experience was. After further research it sounds like Westgate's goal is to make a person feel special, put their minds at ease by telling lies and showcasing pictures of bliss, get them to sign, and then blacklist them. So instead of copy/pasting empty promises and apologies to former occupants, try focusing on what it takes to gain a person’s trust because excellent service promotes itself.

Westgate Resorts author review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

by Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information