1.35/5

Discover a great timeshare now

Discover a great timeshare now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Westgate Resorts Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2019

We willfully submitted to a timeshare presentation (90 minutes) when visiting Orlando and the resort was able to save us $3K on our total vacation package (Family of seven). The presenter was an owner whose family had been in the business with Westgate for over 30 years. He told us of the setbacks, the trials, and the changes to the ownership programs and the vacation packages. He finished the complete presentation in about 30 minutes and asked us if we had any questions.

For the next 45 minutes, he answered our questions, took our responses, and was kind when we said we were not going to spend $**** on this because it was a not a wise choice with our financials. He asked could he bring a supervisor to show us other options, we said yes. This man, of course, different in temperament, showed us several options and we purchased the package that we felt comfortable including a lifetime membership to the rewards program at a very discounted rate. Being able to communicate clearly our fears and desires coupled with the presenter's mild and kind approach has made us feel very positive about this. We are already booked for more travel in the next six months and using these benefits, we have turned our normal ANNUAL vacation into three! And we're saving money still. (Yes, we are able to go away for three weeks instead of one this year and still save money.)

This isn't for everyone. But if the math works and you like to take your family on nice resort trips instead of pull out sofas and sleeping bags, then this is something you should consider. I have already shared this with my friends and family and am happy to update this review if and when we ever have any frustrations.

One thing I will say though is that I did witness some "cold" and "pushy" presenters during our overview. Had that been my personal experience, I would have requested to speak to someone else by saying, "I'm sorry, but I believe we are not a good match. Can you please find me another salesperson." People who are also taking advantage of highly discounted options in lieu of presentations need to understand that the point for the company is to sell packages and benefits, which in turn is to make money. So, if you are not interested in being sold, then please don't take the free or discounted options. And learn a clear phrase, "Thank you so much for showing this great opportunity to us, but we have decided that we are not interested. Can we finish this up in the next 15 minutes please?" Happy vacationing!

Original review: March 31, 2019

I booked a 4 days and 3 nights including 4 Disney tickets. We had to take a 90 minutes tour. No pressure from the sale representative. We ended up purchasing a timeshare because we felt it would be a good thing for our college’s son. After flying back home and reading all the reviews, we decide that we didn’t want this because of the reviews. I sent them all the information including the title deed and a letter stating why we were not interested via certified mail as stated in the fine print and requested an refund within 10 days. Within five days, the refund was posted back to our MasterCard. They vowed by what they stated in the contract if you cancel within 10 days of the purchase date. And the villa that we stayed in were very nice.

Get expert buying tips about Timeshares delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I know some may not believe it but besides the full day of being fed and attending a long presentation, let me say that we were there for my birthday. We viewed the rooms and decided on the 2 bedrooms suite. We received show tickets to the Prince show which we enjoyed dinner for 2 at Benihana's, we also received breakfast tickets for the nice dining restaurant, gifts to include a tablet and a bling women's Westgate tank top and a Limo ride on the strip. Each year we have visited our room has been impressive and our view Awesome! And the customer service team have been Awesome! Now the last time we visited and came in late past midnight we did not understand the process of the check in for the members. But when we told them we were tired we received breakfast passes to enjoy their restaurant. Can't wait to visit again this year!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We have been owners with Westgate Smokey Mountain since 1999. Our overall experience has been very good. We have stayed at over the top resorts that we normally could not afford. All of our stays with Westgate over the years have been excellent. Great 5 star customer service, and incredible rooms and amenities. Westgate trade really well through Interval International, and if you put in a request through II early enough we have always got the trades we have wanted. The only reason I am giving a 4 star is during our original sales presentation, there were a few things they were dishonest about, but still have provided great experiences for our family.

We made our purchase to force us to go on vacation even though our budget has been tight over the years. It helps us spread the cost over the year. We pay our maintenance fee in January and get it out of the way, then just have to get there and pay for entertainment on the vacation. I am not sure why the resort gets such bad reviews when we have had so many good experiences with them over two decades. The reason I wrote this review tonight, was during our stay this Christmas they had an owners dinner with a high end buffet that was really good.

We has a picture taken with Santa and Mrs. Claus. We did not know where to get a copy of our picture, but was in communication all week with our personal Westgate rep through text messages. On our way home she text us one more time to ask how our week went and we asked for a copy of our picture, and just received it in the mail this evening. A high quality picture with 1st class service. Thank you Westgate and our personal concierge Heather for a great week!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I love my timeshare with Westgate. Best thing I ever done since I like to travel and stay in good places. At the beginning when I saw all these other people complaining about their property. I was not too happy about my purchase but now that I already know how to used my property and make money with it. Best purchase of my life. In my opinion the key about any product is to used and the most important thing is to learn how to used correctly and stop complaining so much people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

While in Gatlinburg this week, we were approached by a nice man selling discounted tickets to two attractions that we wanted to see. We purchased the tickets and after the purchase was complete, we were told we would have to go to the presentation at Westgate to receive the tickets. My husband wasn’t very happy, but I tried to make keep it fun and light.

When we got to the resort, we were met by the tour guide who told us it would take an hour and a half. He asked a lot of personal questions like how much we were paying for our hotel room, what would we do with the extra money if we had it. I went along and answered the questions. We went on the tour, when we got to the bedroom, the guide asked my husband to sit on the bed and then put some music on his phone and told my husband, “now imagine your wife getting out of the hot tub dripping wet and coming to this plushly bed with just the right amount of bounce....if you know what I mean”. Keep in mind, my husband and I are 60 years old!

We then went to discuss terms and to make a long, long story really short, 4 hours later we were still there. We were presented with an original purchase price of > $50,000, down payment of 13,000 (that day) and interest rate of 17%. My husband, who owns his own business, immediately said no. That’s when the nightmare really began. We were approached by his supervisor who lowered the prices, we still said no. He left and returned with lower offers, to which we said no. He left again and said he was going to get our attraction tickets. My husband stood up because his hip was hurting, and he was commanded to sit down. He refused and the tour guide told him, "If you don’t sit down, you will get us in trouble."

The resort manager came and again asked us why we didn’t want it. Another 20 minutes of saying no. When he left, the supervisor came back with more prices, which BTW, had been lowered from $50,000.00 to $6000.00. During this visit from the supervisor, I was accused of lying, I was basically called dumb because I was passing up the deal. I stood up and said I wanted to get my tickets and leave. When I turned around, there were literally two tables of resort personnel, including the manager, staring at us to the point that it was uncomfortable. I asked, "Why are they staring at us?" I was commanded to sit down. By this time my anxiety was rising and I told them that I needed my tickets and I needed to leave. They told me that the corporate person had to talk to us.

The fourth person came over and I have to say, he was no nonsense. I told him I was not giving anyone any money and he said, "Fine. We will go get your tickets and he escorted us out." Attempting to be the nice person, I spoke to my tour guide and supervisor telling them thank you and goodbye—twice and they both refused to acknowledge me. Got my tickets and left. I’m not exaggerating when I say I felt like I was being held hostage because I didn’t know how to get out of the facility, with or without my tickets. The worst experience ever. I will spend the next several days attempting to file a complaint with corporate, although I doubt it will do any good. STAY AWAY FROM WESTGATE!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

For all the families who plan to visit the area of Orlando for Disney amusement parks or Universal Orlando do never ever try on Westgate Resorts in Kissimmee area. They treat you like piece of **.... If you are not buying this so called timeshare hotel room you become invisible at the hotel if you say no to that offer. This is the worst experience we have had in a hotel in us. We were a family of seven and believe me it is money thrown on the toilet.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Please please please do not purchase this timeshare. Dave Ramsey is right, it is a black hole. Second watch the documentary called the Queen of Versailles, pretty much sums up what Westgate is about. I'm currently staying at Westgate Lakes and Spa in Orlando, Florida resort and just sat through the 90-minute presentation. First of all, Westgate is a system of smoke and mirrors. They lure you in with a free breakfast with a $20 deposit but what you don't realize is that soon you'll be sucked in. You should never sign a contract in which someone does not allow you to go home and think about it, it's always too good to be true.

The representative tried to sell me a five bedroom unit at $165,000 with a down payment of $25,000 plus 17.99% APR plus maintenance fees of about $2200.00 a year!!! After I told him that that was an absolute ridiculous price he went and got the broker and they came down significantly to a down payment of $5,600 put $469 a year in maintenance fees! Of course the interest rate was dependent on my credit score regardless, I knew something was up as the catch is that I had to sign on the dotted line that day. When I told the broker and representative that honestly this was a very large purchase and I wanted to go home and think about it both became very aggressive and accused me of wasting their time.

When I replied that no one in their right mind would signed a contract the same day without checking their finances things escalated. They represented then proceeded to insult my intelligence, by telling me Walt Disney made a split decision to build Disney World while flying over Orlando while he was in the middle of bankruptcy. I replied that Walt Disney had way more money than I did and had investors. I told him that I wouldn't even buy a car without running through the finances and a car is a lot cheaper than the money they're asking for. The sales representative then tried to go back and bring up all his financial figures and didn't I agree to all the potential savings there were on future vacations.

They tried to tell me about all the savings I could get with Hilton and Sheridan and the Hyatt and all these various Cruise lines, I can get discounts up to 60% but then I pointed out that with my company travel I earn those points as well so this was not a good selling point for me. Finally it got so bad that I got up and just walk out. Please do not fall for this scam, don't go to the free breakfast. It's crappy food, it's canned fruit, scrambled eggs, dry pastries and cereal. Save yourself the time and hassle by saying no at the hospitality desk when they try to sign you up. You're much better off creating vacation savings account and slowly just talking money in there each paycheck then falling for this scam.

I went back to my hotel room and ran the figures and realized that this is not a good deal after reading all the fine print. It's actually more expensive than just saving money and doing the due diligence and research looking for deals. The resort is beautiful but I can come back whenever versus the hassle of all of the rules, regulations, restrictions and fees of a timeshare.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

We bought our timeshare at Westgate in Orlando more than eleven years ago. Our grandchildren were little and we always had good experiences while visiting. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2017. With our added expenses we decided we had to sell the timeshare. We advertised and did not get a single response. We lowered the price to $400. and still could not sell it.

This past May my husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. When Westgate called I again told them about not being able to pay back fees as we were both ill and in our 70s and could no longer afford the timeshare. I offered to sign over the timeshare back to Westgate and they could resell it. It seems they can't do that. My husband died three weeks ago. As far as I am concerned they can take me to court. My advice to everyone is never buy a timeshare from Westgate. They are heartless and don't think for a minute that they care about owners...they care about money. I am not going to listen to their threats anymore.

Resolution response: Nov. 12, 2019

Thank you David for taking the time help with the situation. Your kindness and professionalism was much appreciated. Hopefully next time I am staying at the resort I will be able attend the event. Many thanks.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

On my last day I was signed up for a 90 minute Travel Club presentation with David from the Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa. The presentation was supposed to start at 8am so a pickup was arranged at the resort for 7.30. Up at 6.30 am and at the pickup with my sign up sheet at 7.15. I was put on the wrong bus and taken to the wrong resort. While desperately trying to call David (contact number he gave me did not work) I finally found a ride back to the Westgate lakes resort. I then called the 1 800 number and they sent another driver to take me to the right resort in Kissimmee for a 9am meeting instead of 8am. With this new schedule time I had to cancel the rest of my plans that I had scheduled for the day.

Once I arrived at the Westgate resort in Kissimmee I was told that with my passport and my second piece of identification with my name on it but it was not acceptable to be able to attend the meeting but I needed to have another card and on and me. In tears I was turned away and told me but I could get my $20 deposit back. I then had to call another ride back to the resort I was staying at. My last day was spent with mistakes made by the Westgate resort. My only suggestion to you would be not to sign up for this program.

Westgate Resorts expert review by Lisa Ann Schreier

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.

• Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.

• Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.

• Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.

• VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.

• Best for: Travelers with a favorite vacation destination, young professionals with disposable income and large families.

Profile picture of Lisa Ann Schreier
      Lisa Ann Schreier Timeshare Expert

Lisa Ann Schreier has been involved in the timeshare community since 1998. She is the author of, ‘Surviving A Timeshare Presentation...Confessions From The Sales Table’ and ‘Timeshare Vacations For Dummies.’ In addition to her blog, The Timeshare Crusader she is also the lead timeshare advocate at Elliott.org.

Westgate Resorts Company Information