Westgate Resorts

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Well, I will 2nd, 3rd etc... others experiences with Westgate's timeshare sales pitches. These people are rude, pushy and deceitful. They become nasty very quickly and will talk circles around anyone. They use typical high-pressure sales tactics. The scheduler changed our tour from 90 minutes to 60 but the sales person said she had no idea why and that I was "required" to stay for all 90 minutes and take property tour... also something the scheduler said I wouldn't have to do! I insisted that the scheduler manager and the sales team manager come talk to me (scheduler said there was no manager there so I insisted on the MOD for the resort) and at this point I was given the $ they promised me for listening to the presentation.

The only choice one has is to get nasty right back. Sales does this for a living and only understand one language... the language of rudeness! As for the resort... it's tired. It's very 80’s ish. Mold in the shower, appliances don't work and decor is way out of date. I booked this place as a secret deal from Priceline because it was a 4 star resort! No idea how it got that rating but we won't be staying here again.

Don't be fooled by the beauty of the resorts. Whatever you do--DO NOT INVEST IN A WESTGATE PROPERTY--they are a complete scam. They show you one thing and sell another. They misrepresent what they are selling and do not show you a contract--now they give you a disc and, if you are away, you won't have time to review it to cancel. They advised that they NEVER ALLOW CANCELLATIONS--so, if you are unhappy, forget that.

When you do go to use your timeshare (and I own one), they bother you repeatedly to come to an "update" to waste a couple of hours, where they try to sell you more and do not let you leave. They bring in a supervisor to offer another deal and you don't go until you buy something--what you purchase, however, is not what they promise and you WILL NOT BE HAPPY when you switch resorts from one Westgate to another, you get the identical room that any other guest would have for the price you pay for yearly maintenance--so this will NEVER become a worthwhile investment. You will never reap a real benefit from this timeshare.

And, although they tell you that you can exchange for cruises, this is also a lie. If you try to do that, you will give up your week and get a 100 dollar discount on the cruise--meaning, it is not worthwhile at all. So, everything they tell you is a real scam. When you do go to complain, there is no one that can talk to you. You are switched to different agents and a "supervisor" finally will talk to you, but will tell you that you were told everything and there is nothing else he can do---so it is a complete waste of time and, you cannot get rid of the timeshare. There is absolutely no market and you are stuck forever! If you like the resorts, use them like a hotel--much better deal--just don't buy anything. It is the worst investment we ever made.

The folks at Westgate Resorts ought to be ashamed of themselves... Me and my wife back in July went to a presentation where we ended up buying the timeshare with the understanding that we had two weeks vacation every odd year and 12 weeks where we can go everywhere. Anytime for a fee ranging from 49 to 399 a week... I have already paid close to 3 thousands on that mortgage. I called last week to book a week of vacation. It was then that I found out that there's no such thing as 12 weeks for such price. Plus instead of 2 weeks it's only 1 every other year. Which means by the time I take my next week vacation I will have to pay close to 9 thousands for nothing. I was told by management that I should have read my contract because they could care less about what the agent has told me... It was a big mistake from my part. I wished I could find a way to get out of this nightmare called dream vacation for life...

Please stay clear of Westgate when doing their timeshare presentations. They will lie and are sneaky. Sales rep told me I was getting a package for a loft but instead sold me a 1 bedroom. However they are paperless so I didn't see that it was changed until trying to book my stay. Now no one can seem to help me and it's too late after they have gotten a lot of money off of me. I wouldn't recommend Westgate to my worst enemy. They are crooks. Don't believe anything they say and only half of what you see.

On December, Dec. 05, 2015 to be exact, we were talked into a 3 year trial of Westgate resorts for $1,750.00. When we came back during the grace period, because already we had caught them in several lies, the salesman gave us much more assurances and lied to us again, we found out later. When we finally were able to book a resort that we liked in Gatlinburg, TN area for June of 2017, wildfires happened so we called thinking they might cancel our reservations; but the girl assured us that our reservations were still good and much of the resort was untouched by fire. She said that they would contact us by letter or e-mail by the end of Dec. 2016 if they were going to cancel. Neither one happened.

Today January 28, 2017 after making plans we called them and they said that they had called us on Dec. 13, 2016 (an imaginary phone call) and notified us that our reservations were cancelled. It never happened. This company is full of bold faced LIARS. Do not bring a checkbook, cash, credit card or any other payment form to any sales presentation with these people. YOU CANNOT TRUST THEM!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Westgate Resorts?

Westgate Resort, Kissimmee FL., 01/20/2017-01/27/2017. Seems like I am adding my own verse to the same song. On a positive note, the resort property is pleasant and attractive, the working class employees are polite and helpful (if they understand English), the onsite sports bar had excellent food and service, and the resort was easy to get to and conveniently located. However... We were offered this stay from a friend who did not use all of her timeshare weeks and gladly paid the $300 exchange fee because it sounded like a great deal for some much needed R&R. We later found out that simply booking a stay would have been much less. Due to a delayed flight, we did not check in until a little before midnight and simply wanted to get to our "condo" and get some sleep.

Immediately after check in, the sales pitch started. We were directed to a VIP desk for our welcome package and invited to a deluxe breakfast or lunch the following day and a 90 minute presentation of the property and timeshare purchase options. As a thank you for our time, we were offered VIP access to the resort amenities (but the water park is an extra fee), $50 in vouchers for our choice of the onsite restaurants, an exclusive savings book that in reality was available from any visitor center, and passes to attractions that could be chosen at the gift shop. We were under "no obligation to purchase anything", but this "is a sales presentation". We said "OK, can we go get some sleep now?"

After we had to return to the check in desk because our key cards did not work, we found that our condo turned out to be no more than a moderate hotel room with the added convenience of a kitchen and in room laundry. Ok, still a good deal. Sleep was difficult, because the adjoining room was separated from us by a poor fitting door that allowed the light, as well as all the noise and animated conversations, to come spilling into our room.

Upon waking, the other little inconveniences showed up as well. I tried to make coffee, but the coffee maker did not work properly. It was a simple fix, so I fixed it. The bedroom TV had a poor picture. The cable was not properly connected, so I repaired and connected it. My wife tried to make an energy shake for breakfast and the blender was DOA. It eventually got replaced. My wife tried to log in and use the WIFI with the provided access credentials and found out it is not free, you must pay for it. Hmm, going downhill fast, and we haven't been to the sales presentations yet.

The deluxe lunch was cold hotdogs with stale buns and some rice and beans. Way to make an impression! The room was full of weary vacationers and hungry sales persons trying to reel one in. Our presenter spoke heavily accented English, but offered flawless Spanish if that would be better, and put out a lot of information that sounded impressive, but really made no sense. The opportunities and travel options were endless, and this was a much better option than renting a hotel room, and you could have a real warranty deed, an investment that was yours forever! Wait, what, forever? Yes, pass it on to your kids and grand kids, forever. Just pay the yearly taxes and maintenance fees, and the booking fees, upgrade fees, and exchange fees if you want to use a different week or location. It forces (her words, not mine) you to take a vacation, because quality time is important.

At this point, I am still trying to do the math in my head to determine what type of property is assessed at over $500,000 per acre for property taxes, and the rest of the pitch is lost on me. After the initial numbers were put out there, my wife and I politely tell the sales lady we are not interested. When pressed as to why, we respond that we don't plan or take a lot of luxury vacations, and the cost just doesn't make sense. Furthermore, we are here to relax and have no intention on making a huge purchase while on vacation.

After some back and forth, she relents and tells us she will go get a manager to sign us out and we could get our free gifts. He comes in and starts round 2. I get up to leave telling him I am not putting up with a tag team effort. This is not a tag team, he is simply showing some different options. No need to put on a show. He could get us into a "trade in" for a significant savings, and drop us to a single bedroom for only one week. The implication being that the initial pitch was for a brand new unit reserved just for us.

Again we say no, less politely than before. The tone changes and we are told we need to stay for the 90 minutes and then accusingly asked "Why would you sign up for a presentation with no intent to purchase?" I pointed out on our invitation that the check box for staying 90 minutes was not checked (a technicality) and the line that indicates no purchase required to receive your free gift. He gets visibly annoyed and they both get up and leave, taking our copy of the invitation (needed to get our free gifts). The original presenter returns to sign our invitation that we no longer have, and must retrieve it from the manager. She rudely gives it back to us and walks away.

We take our paperwork to the ticket counter, get some of the promised freebies and are directed to another desk for, wait for it... another sales pitch. If we want to get all of our offers, we must attend another presentation, but don't worry it is not a timeshare offer and is not affiliated with those folks. We can even upgrade our offer for a small fee. It is not high pressure and we can have brunch on them. Just bring an open mind. Why not, I'm so irritated that my weekend is shot anyway.

Turns out it is not a timeshare property presentation, but is a sales pitch for an overpriced exclusive vacation club, offered through Westgate Resorts. The brunch consisted of pastries and fruit. The highlights of the presentation are: you still pay an upfront cost, yearly fees, resort fees, exchange fees, upgrade fees, and booking fees, there are blackout dates, and the accommodations and amenities are the same. Doesn't make sense to us so we say no to the presenter, then say no to the manager, and finally leave, having wasted four hours of our lives, and disrupting most of our weekend with mid day presentations.

The rest of our stay was pleasant enough. We spent most of our time away form the resort taking part in our own activities. Upon casual encounters with other guests, some of which were timeshare owners, we found that our experience is pretty much the norm. Everybody is pressured into buying or upgrading. Booking the time and location you want is frustrating. The quality of the units as well as the furnishings is sub par. You do not get what you are promised. Not my idea of a luxury vacation.

After checking in to Westgate Resort Palace January 20, 2017 room 402A, I had to kill several roaches. Close a door to a room and the picture fell down in the guest room. Furthermore 6:30 am was awaken by something biting me...bed bugs.

This complaint is for an apartment unit for disabled guests at WestGate Vacation Villas at 7700 Westgate Blvd. Kissimmee. We exchanged a week from our Palm Springs AZ timeshare to come and stay in the Orlando area. Our exchange was for the WestGate Villas. We experienced a series of issues upon arrival. To start, the ice maker was broken, a request made to repair it. No repair done. Instead a bag of ice was left in the freezer. Finally the ice maker was changed out two days later. The toilet did not flush and kept running for two nights in a row. They came, said it was fixed and did not repair it. It took two more visits to fix it on the third day. The apartment unit was missing the TV remotes in the bedroom and living room; and no hot water in the kitchen. The service repair people did not resolve the issues when first reported. We had to constantly call the office over and over.

The appearance of the unit is ragged. The dishwasher is rusted and broken when pulling out the trays to place dishes. The trays come out of the rail and drop on the floor. The cabinet around the dishwasher is rotted, and the cabinet doors are splintered and separating. The kitchen had no hot water. The apartment is deplorable. No one should be placed in this unit and it is reserved for disabled guests. It appears that WestGate Vacation Villas has an inferior standard for guests with disabilities. It does not think much about providing the same comfort and service for guests that have physical challenges. The hotel management has made little effort to correct these issues, knowing we were inconvenienced for 3 days out of our week's vacation dealing with the broken and run down facilities in the unit. Lastly, we had a dog barking in the unit next door for three days Sunday through Wednesday.

Out of 52 weeks in the year we have one week to vacation and have to deal with this nightmare. What a terrible way to spend a vacation. This issue was raised to several people, we spoke with three managers, Shane who sent the repairmen back twice, Omar ** sent a security to check on the dog barking but did nothing more. And Allan, Front Desk Manager, whom we spoke to last communicating all the issues, he was going to return a call and never did call us back. The Management we have tried to reach have not returned a call nor offered an acceptable compensation for all of our trouble. Do not recommend this as an amenable place to stay. STAY AWAY.

Sadly I did not read this reviews before we purchased. They are a scam.They tell you you can use the timeshare anywhere in the world...never. They toss you around when you get through to them. Please, please do not waste your money and time.

Never buy a Westgate timeshare. What you see and what you get are far apart. The maintenance is appalling and the conditions of the units are appalling. It seems you never get your unit you bought when you book and what you do get put in does not even compare to what you bought. Just use the 90 dollar deal for three days and be done with it. When you try to book any other Westgate resort with your floating week, they will always be full.

The units are in deplorable shape. A lot of their timeshares are in old buildings and no better than a seedy roadside hotel. Most good hotel chains are way better than what you get at Westgate. Beware. This is only a 2 star at best. Includes, the Lakes, Villas, Williamsburg. Stay away. Book a nice hotel for the money you will waste on Westgate. The prices I see that people pay to buy are all over the place. Do not be scammed by Mr. Seigel. Go look up and see what he lives in. It will make you sick. That is where all the upkeep money goes to, obviously.

Do not buy timeshares here! They tell you it is no problem to get the week you want but in fact it is almost impossible. Then they charge a re-booking fee to reserve in another year. Terrible company to work with on the phone and on their website. Their answer is "NO" to everything!

I wanted to share my more positive experience with my timeshare at Westgate Vacations Villas. First of all, I did go through the high-pressure sales tactics after I already purchased my condo through a private seller. Actually high-pressure is kind of a tame description -- trying to resist their sales staff is like trying to hold on to an oiled lamp-post in a hurricane, but it can be done. Earlier this year during our vacation there, we were promised $120 for sitting through their "presentation" and my husband said, "Why not" even though I warned him -- two hours later, after being called rude for asking if they understood what the word "no" meant, I created enough of a scene to be finally given my promised money and leave. I had to keep asking in a loud voice when we would get our money -- make a scene that disrupts the other "sales attempts" going on and they will want you out of there!

Two hours wasted, but we received $60 per hour for sitting through their torture tactics! And we didn't give them the requested "twenty" dollars prior to the session either. My husband said, "Why would I give YOU twenty dollars?" They folded. Of course, they tried to convince us to "upgrade" and told us because we didn't buy through them, we were "missing out" -- I have yet to figure out what exactly I'm missing out on! They tried to tell me they could do better than the "private sale deal" I got -- I laughed and said, "I highly doubted it."

You see, I did purchase a Westgate timeshare but not directly from Westgate. Through a private seller on eBay, I "purchased" a FIXED week 2 bedroom with loft (sleeps ten) villa in the NNN building for ONE DOLLAR. The seller then refunded my money to avoid Westgate trying to use their right of first refusal. My condo/unit is absolutely beautiful and conveniently located near the entrance, the store, and restaurant, and a three minute walk to the water park. This was a private seller -- not a company, or dealer. She told me she had used the unit with her family for many years and now lived in Florida. She also gave me the most wonderful advice ("RULES") about how to enjoy my vacation there without falling prey to Westgate's salespeople and I am going to share it with you below.

We have used the condo two years in a row, and love, love, love it! It is updated, clean and beautiful. I have no problem making reservations. The only issue I have to decide regarding dates is whether to arrive on Friday, Saturday or Sunday of our fixed week. The fees are just under $1000 per year and I did receive my discount for paying early. It is far cheaper for us than paying for two hotel rooms at Disney -- although if I could afford to buy into the Disney Vacation Club, I would do it in a heartbeat! So here are the "rules" we use to make sure we have a very enjoyable vacation at Westgate each year thanks to the lovely lady who "sold" me her beautiful time share condo.

RULE ONE -- At check in, when the "invitations" to attend "owner appreciation" breakfasts, dinners etc begin -- say " No thank you," in a firm voice, and then again, NO, THANK YOU. NOT INTERESTED, and REPEAT -- as many times as needed. They usually give up after the third NO, NOT INTERESTED -- the reception area staff are not as pushy as the sales staff.

RULE TWO -- DO NOT ANSWER YOUR ROOM PHONE! Who needs it anyway? Everyone these days has a cell phone, right? But regardless, if you need to call someone using your room phone, call them, but don't answer calls from Westgate staff. If you need maintenance work done, then by all means answer the phone and if it's anyone else, hang up. We haven't needed any maintenance done the past two years.

RULE NUMBER THREE -- If they try to "visit" you and leave a nice invitation to talk/dine etc on your door, respond by leaving a big note over the top of their note, stating, "DO NOT CONTACT ME. NOT INTERESTED." If you are unfortunate enough to be at your unit when they arrive, just close the door, and/or leave. One year they did, the next year they didn't. They do not, I repeat, THEY DO NOT OWN YOU -- the USA is a free country. You can say NO, and MEAN IT, and they will leave you alone. They have never come back after I left that large note on the door.

I have found the staff at the reception, the water park, and the store to be delightful. We get an owners discount on purchases from the store, and of course, free tickets to the water park and other amenities. We have enjoyed their mini-golf, ping-pong, the fitness center, their paddle boats and bikes -- all free for owners. The condo is always stocked with a "welcome" package, including dish soap, dishwasher soap, laundry soap, toilet paper etc. Internet is free for owners. I don't understand why they feel they need to use such awful high-pressure sales tactics because the resort really is beautiful.

So in summary, if you want to own a Westgate timeshare, buy privately, learn how to be firm, say 'No' and mean it and go enjoy your vacations! If you have been scammed into buying one you can't afford, stop paying for it, and threaten them with legal action -- or better yet, hire an attorney and have him/her write them a letter telling them you are on to them and know there is no legal binding contract they can hold you too. Close that bank account or cancel that credit card and don't lose any sleep over it, because they do not actually have a legally binding contract over you -- surprise, surprise -- they lied about that, too.

We booked this Hotel for one night only 12/21/16 approximately 20 hours before, So there wasn't even a cancel 24 hours to begin with. I started reading the reviews and naturally if you want to read the bad you have to look a little harder, HA! So that's when I saw two recent reviews of bedbugs. We called 1 hour after booking to cancel, and they charged us a $40.00 cancel Fee! So would not recommend this dump to anyone.

I've been reading the reviews regretfully after I have already purchased. They are eerily similar to my experience. Once you buy and call to use your property you are constantly told that what your initial salesperson told you doesn't apply or you misunderstood what they were saying. Nothing seems to work out, numerous calls and threats does absolutely no good. Every conversation starts with them trying to upsell you before they even listen to why you are calling. Oh, and there's no way out! You will be paying fees forever. If you are considering buying - don't!!!

We were in Miracle Miles shopping centre when my wife simply asked this kiosk for MJLive tickets. They sucked us into this timeshare presentation that they promised will only last 90 minutes. We weren't sure if with our infant we could even watch MJ, but they called and confirmed we could. $40 later, we booked our timeshare presentation next day.

Arrived at Westgate, we were made to wait for 30 minutes despite of "booking" the time. Going inside the big hall where they had about 40-50 salespeople pitching and selling their condo rooms. First, we were told our infant won't be getting childcare as he's not potty trained (surprise!!)... then the sales guy forced us to go eat before he can present (even though we had a full on meal right before). Excruciating 3 hours later, he revealed the numbers (200k to own a condo in the hotel for one week/year at an interest rate of 20% borrowing) and we had to make a decision there and then!! Of course we said no!

Then the rudeness kicked in. Did we kick our bedsheets this morning and promised we weren't gonna buy? Did we never intend to have an open mind? Etc etc... He called his manager (Sharmisa) and she was the epitome of rudeness and discourtesy. Her final offer was to buy a week of a condo in Florida for $70k which we have never seen. And then she started calling us different rude things...

Their manager came and apologized for her behavior and led us out of the sales floor. We got our MJ passes and heaved a sigh of relief! But later that evening, we were denied entry to the show because (surprise!!) infants weren't allowed!! My wife cried for having wasted our day and still not being able to watch the show!! What a bad experience!! Stay away from these guys in the malls who try to give you cheap tickets for shows and make you attend their silly timeshare presentations. The product is soooo bad that no one in their right mind will buy it.

We were lied to about the timeshare we bought twice. They gave us a card that was "just like cash" and it's not. They also said we could go anytime of the year and now they say it will cost us 500 more dollars to upgrade. That would be a week's stay. I will be trying to figure out how to get our money back. DON'T EVER DO THIS...

Westgate resort in Branson Missouri - After we checked into this dump it was like a terrible rundown dump motel. We were suppose to have conjoined rooms which we didn't. The game room was closed by 6 every night after being told it was open til 11 at check-in. The rooms were very dirty, housekeeping didn't even make beds on a daily basis. They charge for wifi $100.00 for use of it. We stayed from December 9-12. Will never again check into a Westgate again. Say they deliver food from their restaurant but when we ordered we had to walk down in rain to get our food.

The lady said she couldn't leave her "post". Just overall not happy with this terrible business. The pictures they sent of the rooms we were to stay in were not where they put us. They put us in a building number 2. Just over a dump. And make sure you hide valuables. My friends that came with us got stuff stolen during cleaning of their room. They reported it and front desk said there was nothing they could do about it. Unreal. I've never been treated so bad ever at a resort. I will not return there ever again. Unfortunately we don't go on vacation very often so this meant a lot to us. But not after staying there. Run down dump.

When we arrived at Westgate Colonial Williamsburg we had no idea the resort was a timeshare until the “concierge” met with us after check in. We were told that this was a timeshare property and that if we sat through a 90-minute presentation we would get $125 cash and free Wi-Fi during our stay. Initially we said no because we were on vacation and who wants to waste 90 min of their vacation on a timeshare presentation, especially if you weren’t looking or thinking of doing that?

However we were told that if we did not attend we would be charged $10 a day for Wi-Fi over our 7-day stay, we were also “assured” that the presentation would take 90-minutes at most and that there were no high pressure selling tactics. We reluctantly agreed to listen to the presentation to avoid being charged another $70 for Wi-Fi thinking it was only 90-minutes at most. We were told that we had to put $20 down on the spot and then we would get that $20 back if we showed up, which was a little odd in itself.

Once at the presentation 2-days after check-in we found out rather quickly that we were we suckered in to dog and pony show where we kept being asked, “what would you pay for the property” repeatedly 6-7 times after we stated we weren’t interested in the $28,400 price tag for 1-week a year. At one point I look down at my watch and noticed we had been there for 2 hours and 10 minutes after we were “assured” that the presentation would last 90-minute at most and that there were no pressure selling tactics. After telling the agent that there was absolutely no way we would make a decision like this on the spot, however we were told that in order to get our promised gift the manager had to speak with us to close the presentation, just another ploy to get us to buy on the spot we suspect.

After waiting for the manager for what seemed like forever I again looked down at my watch and we had now been there 2.5 hours. At this point I was up upset as it was very obvious we had been taken advantage of, we told the sales agent that we had activities planned today and that we could not wait any longer for something we were not going to buy. Again we were told that in order to get our gift we had to speak with the manager. I’m not sure if this staff does all of the presentations or not at this property, but what I am sure about is that this is the most unprofessional group of sales managers that we have ever come across, we felt like we were at some off the wall used car lot it was so unprofessional. Not one manager ever apologized for the wait and/or said "give us 5-minutes, 10-minutes, etc. and I will be right with you." All we kept being told by the sales agent was “it shouldn’t be long.”

Long story short we NEVER received ANY gift because we had other activities that we had already made reservations for on our VACATION! We did receive back the $20 that we had put down though, I guess that was supposed to be a consolation for us wasting 2.5 hours of our vacation time for being treated like just another couple in an assembly line of customers, we’ll get to you when we get you mentality.

The icing on the cake for the manager’s reaction when the sales agent told him we couldn’t wait any longer because of planned activities. He made it VERY obvious he was not happy and stormed by us without looking at us or saying anything to us. My wife and I could not believe the childlike reaction and the unprofessional nature, at the minimum we expected a “sorry for the wait folks” but I guess he didn’t care since he knew we weren’t buying that day. But the worst part of it was throughout the initial presentation my wife and I actually became quite interested in the properties in Park City, UT and Branson, MO and briefly spoke in private that this may be an option in another 3-6 months.

However one thing I can now guarantee is that we will NEVER buy a timeshare property from Westgate and we will NEVER again stay at any Westgate properties. If we could have received a refund for the rest of our stay at the property we would have happily packed up and went to another venue in Williamsburg. I personally have been treated better at the Motel 6 venues that I stayed at while in college, so why would I want to give over $25,000 to a company that obviously ONLY cares about my money and NOT the experience? Additionally how are we supposed to have trust and confidence in our $25,000 purchase after being treated like that? There are way too many other timeshare properties out there and I’m quite confident we will find one that is polite, professional and accommodating to their customers.

In the last 40+ years I can count on (1) finger how many complaint letters, bad reviews, etc. that I’ve ever taken the time to write, but our treatment has left an unbelievably sour taste in my mouth. I will be writing as many reviews as possible on different sites to warn other potential guests before they unknowingly get suckered in to wasting 2.5 hours of their vacation time, I even wonder if we would have ever got the $125 as promised in the first place, after the “used car salesman” tactics that were used I’m sure that was a gimmick in itself also. It’s quite embarrassing to admit that we allowed someone to con us in to something of this nature, but we are now educated on the process and hopefully we can warn others before they fall victim as we did.

1st time coming to Westgate town center. It is a beautiful location near Disney. Friendly staff except for when I arrived had a guy named Brian try to get me to become owner. Promised me 50 dollars and more gift if I stay and listen to his presentation. "I didn't receive anything. Wasted 2 plus hours for nothing!" Pool 13 was a beautiful pool area. Bartender was great except when some kids came with water balloons started throwing them everywhere. I asked to speak to manager and no one to be found. My best experience by far has been Westgate on the lakes! If you're looking for a place to take your children and have it be all about them. That's the place to be!!! They have pool activities, DJ, PIE EATING CONTEST. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS! Most memorable trip by far!

I despise this company. I bought a timeshare with Westgate in 2004. Paid $10,000 in CASH! Since then, I've been able to use it a total of 10 days. They keep the resort full with promotional offers to other people they are trying to sell to and owners have to book months in advance to use what supposedly belongs to them. I was told when I bought this property that I could use it for a weekend escape and, as an owner, that I would have 1st preference to book. Never has a bigger lie been told. I've called as an owner and tried to book a reservation and been told they were full. I've then called, not told them I was an owner, and miraculously, they have an opening. And the annual maintenance fees go up every year. They are now over $800 for a property that I can't get reservations for! I've spent an additional $2,000 trying to sell it but to no avail.

Also, the one time that I did book there, it was dirty! Dirt in the corners of the bathroom! They had told me that they would go through with a blacklight and make sure everything was spotless. That was at purchase. And then, there was obvious dirt in the bathroom. And we had to call maintenance twice the one week I did stay there. As for their business practices, I told them I wanted out, to sell the property, and they made an appointment for me to talk with them while I was there. The pitch was why I should upgrade my ownership. I was taken to the new additions and then taken down to a "sales room" and the pressure was on to upgrade. They told me how much my ownership was now worth (according to them, it had almost tripled). I then asked them if they would give me just HALF of what I paid for it and they, of course, said no. It got bad! I asked them repeatedly to take me back to my condo but they kept trying to talk me into upgrading.

Finally after close to four hours, I told them that they were dangerously close to me taking legal action for them holding me against my will. In Tennessee, that is called unlawful imprisonment, and also told them unless they wanted me to start showing "my ass" in front of their potential buyers, they would immediately get me out of there. Yep! I was EXTREMELY upset and after 30 years in law enforcement, I'm pretty good at keeping my cool in stressful situations. I BEG you, please do not do business with this company! One last thing, I will add, a couple sued them in Knoxville, Tennessee and were awarded punitive damages. If memory serves, the punitive damages were for half a million dollars. Westgate is a scam. If I could get out, I would.

Out on vacation at International Palms Resort Nov 7th 2016. Unfortunately we got tricked into the 90 minute timeshare presentation at the Westgate Resort in Orlando. Next morning we got up and went to see what it was all about. We met with a gentlemen that gave us the whole presentation. At the end, both him and another gentlemen were very insistent and had decent prices but not something we were able to do at the moment. Then the slickest scammer came to sell us another package to try their timeshares. The SCAMMER explained that it consist of 5 weeks for $798 at any of their locations and associated resorts in which we could book after December. We will be paying $29/month until the $798 is completed (20 months). The only catch, put down $200 initial payment. We liked the package but decided no at the moment. He came back with just put down $75 and we can do the $125 next month. We took it! Biggest mistake.

This week my wife calls to get some info about our package and guess what?! The package was completely different to what the SCAMMER at the resort told us!!! 1 week for $798 and the other 4 weeks are only discounted!!! Plus we have to pay the $798 before booking the one week vacation! I call to get my money back and to cancel! So guess what! I only had 10 DAYS TO CANCEL from the date we purchased (in which more than half of that time I was on my vacation) and the only way to TRY To get my money back is to write to corporate! Or as the rep on the phone "recommended but then didn't recommend" cancel the payments on my credit card. Sure, so that they can report it on my credit report. COMPLETE SCAM! Corporate will hear about me for sure until I get all my money back. I work in sales and customer service for years. This completely unfair and unprofessional!

It would be a better rating if they had better communication and understanding of our situation. I was supposed to check in on Monday. I know it is not their fault there was a fire. But they were aware of what was going on and I did not receive a call saying there was any problems or anything. I drove 12 and a half hours to get there with no place to stay. They do not want to refund my money. They keep telling me to reschedule. I am not rich and by far don't have the money. I work full time and only wish I could travel that much. They also did not help with finding a new place to stay, it being around 7 at night when we got there most hotels booked. But we managed to find one to stay at.

The first night and it was a bad drive I would never would recommend to anyone and then had to waste more money and drive home to Michigan the 2nd day. They were aware of all the wildfires going on and did not even 2 days before (Saturday). When I spoke with the Gatlinburg location tell me there was anything even wrong or going on. I will also be posting this in other location on the social media to make people aware of Westgate properties. Once I am contacted by them I may change my rating. Until then, this will be plastered everywhere.

I purchased back in 2015 and it's been nothing but regret. The only thing Westgate is prompt at and always ready to do is take your money however when time to deliver forget it. I will encourage everyone not to buy into this. Westgate uses a 3rd party to rent your unit and make you pay $2k for this service and on the contract states that within 45 days of payment and signing, you're guaranteed to get your unit rented between $8k-11k depending on the size of your unit. In my case it's a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, etc so I was told $8k. This was back in April 2016. We're now in Dec 2016 and it's not rented and you can forget about getting a phone call from anyone or a follow-up.

At the end of November after about 100 complaints someone called me to say that I can "probably" get it rented for $2100. So what happened to the $8k? I was told his answer "I don't know why I was told that." Keep in mind I paid an extra $2k for this service. Now I've been calling him every day and leaving at least 2 messages a day with no return call to date. Westgate is a COMPLETE RIPOFF.

Was staying there and no place to park. Had to park in an off site parking lot. My truck had the window smashed in and damage to the interior. Not a safe place to stay. Would stay at another place next year. People STAY AWAY!

I see a lot of people bashing Westgate. I do have to say I truly enjoy the service they have given me and my family. With all the free amenities they offer to the free Waterpark. Yes I sat through the presentation and yes it lasted more then 90 min. But if you truly get into logistical money aspects you can actually make money off of your investment while you enjoy your time there.

I went to the 90 minute presentation & stayed the 90 minutes and left. I informed the agent at the beginning of the orientation that I was starting my timer and I would be leaving after my 90 minutes. Long story short 3 months later I get my bank statement. They took $248 from my account without my knowledge stating that I didn't stay to the presentation when it's on camera what time I came and left.

After the traditional high pressure sales pitch about 10 years ago, my wife and I purchased a timeshare in Florida from Westgate, who was in the process of building a resort in Myrtle Beach. After paying monthly and maintenance fees for a year, the Myrtle Beach property was not yet complete when the time came for us to use it. They offered to give us another location, but were overbooked, so that never did work out. I called numerous times, and finally told them that I no longer wanted the timeshare, and that they had breached their contract. I was sent a deed in lieu of foreclosure that I signed, but indicated that I would not send them anymore money than what I had already wasted with them. After about 6 years I hear from a collection agency representing them. I sent them a letter explaining the situation and disputed the charge, and never did hear back from them.

Just recently, and after 10 years, they resurface again on my credit report. When inquiring about the report, they indicated that they never did receive a dispute from collections and that the account is now in foreclosure, but they will remove it from my credit report for $2500. It will just have to stay on my report. Companies like this cannot continue to cheat and deceive others without paying the consequences. Karma is for real. It is not in my nature to wish them harm, therefore I won't, but I reiterate, karma is for real.

We purchased from Westgate Resorts in Feb 2014. It has been the worst headache ever since! We were offered a 1 bedroom deluxe for $56,000 and turned it down. Each time we walked away they came back with a lower price, and we reluctantly bought at $7,000. We've made 20 payments of $140 a month since and still owe $6,726.38. We'll be paying on this "deeded" property for the next 8 years, not to mention we owe $741 a year to even use it for maintenance fees (that have increased, btw). Why would you pay a weekly hotel rate to use property that you supposedly own, along with a $140 a month payment?? The whole concept is ludicrous.

We were told we had access to any resort with our owner card. That's true, but what they didn't say was we still had to pay to use the facility! If we are visiting Gatlinburg (where we bought), we still have to pay $12.95 per day, per family member (5) to use the water park! We've tried to book a week outside of our timeshare, which we were told would never be more than $199 for any week available, and were quoted a $289 a night rate!! Non-owners are not that high, so why am I being punished for owning?

This whole place is a rip off, and a sad mistake we have to live with... oh, and we bought "value" season, which means we can go "anytime" from Dec to March. This worked for us, but now we have blackout dates and were told the contract changed. How do you change a contract??? We've been limited to essentially one week in each month as an option, and it's not ok.

I'm so sick of talking to customer service and them telling me what a great deal this is for the "deeded" property we own... what exactly do we own? No wonder the owner of these resorts is thriving while the members suffer. Our maintenance is currently $741 a year to use this for one week. Do the math, they make $38,532 a year in these fees FROM JUST ONE CONDO!!! Save yourself the trouble and DO NUT BUY!!!

It was our first family vacation. We saved for yrs to go to Gatlinburg Tennessee to stay in a cabin. We were at a museum when we got bombarded by a Westgate employee. They pressured us to go to a free breakfast and 1/2 off Ripleys. We went to Westgate only to be so pressured and lied to about what we were getting. They took advantage of us since we were new to vacationing. They got us to get a 2 bedroom resort for 10,000 250.00 a month. They said we had 3 days to change our minds. After getting home we realized it was not what we could afford. We called them back. Wouldn't let us out. We were upset but magically a 1 bedroom was free which they told us wasn't at the time.

I begged her to just let us out but no we had to go with the 1 bedroom for 150.00 a month. Then we had to do a down payment of 2,500 plus more credit card bills from them. We didn't even know about all these fees. We feel so cheated and taking advantage of. We told them we can't keep it because we can't afford the payments. Now they have a attorney harassing me to pay 795 to Westgate so they will drop the deed. This is the worst experience I have ever been through. Save yourself. Don't buy a time share. It will only cause you heartache and pain.

When I first bought the timeshare at Westgate Villas you could trade it anywhere and anytime. I went to Australia using it in 1999. But now it is almost impossible to trade it when you want to go. They charge what is called prime time charges and you pay extra $500 per week. This is ridiculous because I have already paid over $1000 maintenance fees per year. The maintenance fees started out at $400. I ask why they could charge extra and I was told their policies changed. How can you change rules in the middle of the game? I know what I bought and paid for upfront. Timeshare is a rip off no matter the company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Westgate Resorts is a timeshare company that was founded by David Siegel in 1982. The company offers customers more than 13,500 timeshare villas and access to properties at 28 resorts.

• Numerous outposts: Westgate Resorts' properties are located conveniently throughout the U.S., so they are easy to reach for customers no matter where they live. They also offer a diverse range of landscapes and amenities.
  • Resorts with amenities: The company offers timeshare owners a huge selection of amenities at their resorts, including soda shops, pool bars, spas, putting greens and more, so traveling to their timeshare property feels like a real vacation.
  • Charitable company: Westgate is also a community-focused company, and the company donates more than 2 million dollars each year through the Westgate Resorts Foundation.
  • Convenient online account management: Owners of Westgate properties can access their account online, and they have convenient options to pay fees, change membership options, and more.
  • VIP owner events: The company regularly throws VIP events for owners, including parties, shows, and more.
  • Best for Travelers with a favorite vacation destination, young professionals with disposable income and large families.

Compare Timeshares