Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Express

3.0/5 (794 ratings)

About Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Holiday Inn Express, Pembroke, Ontario, Canada. We arrived around 4 pm Sunday afternoon and registered at the desk. We were told the room was not ready and that the cleaning staff were working on it. I asked when the the check in time was. We were told 3 pm. We were told dismissively to sit down. I asked to speak to the manager. We were told he was unavailable until Monday. I asked to speak to someone in responsibility as the young woman I was talking to was curt and being defiantly obstructive. She declared there was no one in responsibility. She again told us to sit down.

I asked for access to phone so that I might call Holiday Inn 1800 to speak to someone in responsibility’s and that was denied. I asked for a card with the manager's name on it and a contact number for corporate complaints. She gruffly extended her arm in the direction of a card holder on the counter and exclaimed ‘there’. The card had his name but no 1800 number. With that she sang “have a nice day” as she turned her back.

At 4:40 pm we were given cards to room 410. In the room on the Holiday Inn scratch pad was a 1800 number. I called and after being on hold 20 minutes eventually spoke to a young woman who said she documented the above story. I reiterated that it was the delay I objected to, but the dismissive rudeness. She related, after a pause, that she called the inn and that a message would be given to the manager who would contact us first thing in the morning. No incidents number was given to me.

As we left at a bit before 10am I asked at the desk if I could speak to the manager. The young woman at the desk feigned to not know if he was in and got and walked into a nearby room, exited a few moments later and declared he was preparing for a conference call. The door slammed shut behind her. She offered no other time for us to talk. At 2 pm I called the 1800 number and opted for a call back when it suited Holiday Inn. A call back occurred at 2:30 but I was immediately placed on hold for another 15 minutes, and I gave up.

At 4pm I called again and eventually spoke to a young woman named Edwin. She said there was no record of my previous contact and I repeated the whole story again. She insisted that as I was still in the hotel the manager was obligated to deal with this. She assured me she would call the hotel and he would contact me. I informed her I was leaving in the morning. She said it was 3 pm and there was time. At that point it was actually 5 pm. I never received any call from the manager.

Original review: June 15, 2022

On Memorial Day weekend 2022 we stayed one night in Omaha NE Central location on Dodge St. While unloading our luggage, the wheeled cart supplied by the hotel rolled away on the inclined driveway and when my 70-year sister grabbed it, it spun round and hit her in the face causing her to bleed profusely. Upon entering the lobby, no one was at the front desk. I cried 3 times for help. We needed something to stop the bleeding which was running down her face and covering her chest. Finally, the clerk came and got her a wet cloth. The reaction of his co-worker was her dismay that someone was bleeding on 'Her" floor.

We got no assistance and decided to go to the emergency room. The median/island in the street outside demanded we travel miles in the opposite direction to make a U turn and come back. We were so frustrated trying to find the ER. I stopped and called 911 for directions. They said we were not far away and by then with pressure she had gotten the bleeding to stop. We were near a pharmacy, so we chose to go there for bandages and supplies. I trust the logical and responsible thing for the clerk to do would have been to call 911 and have her wait for help. They were helping with directions when we returned...but not before.

When we returned to the hotel, we were informed they would fill out an accident report which they did after we went to our room. I suggested that since my sister was quite distraught and disoriented, they could at least comp the room since they had done nothing else. The clerk was talking to management at the time. He asked my sister later for her ID to add to the report, then she asked, "How can you file a report? You were not present and do not know what happened." He went based upon what we stated. Since then, my sister has attempted to get some reaction from management as the clerk promised and absolutely no reply. Thus, she is contacting an attorney to pursue the matter. Others should know that the prices the hotel chain charges do not ensure good service.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I have been staying at Holiday Inn Express (Formerly Red Lion) on my trips to Portland during the past 4-5 years. While I find it to be a great, convenient location, I must also mention the services of the hotel has been outstanding. During most of my visits, the front desk staff members Ms. ** and Mr. ** has always helped me with all my needs to a point where if I owned a business in Portland I would offer them a job. During these unusual times we live in, Holiday Inn is lucky to have such quality employees. I also feel the overall image of the hotel has enhanced with the new franchise.

Original review: May 30, 2022

I noticed two authorizations in the middle of the night on my debit card. I called my bank immediately. After I got off the phone with them, I thought I would be courteous and give the hotel a chance to retrieve their money from the thieves using my card for two of their rooms for two nights on a stolen card number (I had my card in my hand). Knowing this business would not only lose the funds from my chargeback claim plus losing the money for the rooms. I thought I would do a nice thing for them. The auditor said he would tell the manager. The authorizations did not process that night so my bank did not finalize the provisional credit which takes 10 business days.

Now, it's two weeks later, 3 days 'til the end of the month and I logged in to my home's leasing site to make a payment. Processed. Now I log into my bank and now sits two charges for two hotel rooms from Holiday Inn Express South Padre Texas. I call US Bank. Well, guess what, since those charges didn't process then, the provisional credit wasn't processed at that time. US Bank can't do anything. Nothing.

All they can do is "request" the case manager to process an expedited request that will be 24 hours AFTER the 1st since it's a holiday weekend and big fraud caseworkers don't work on the weekend, especially a holiday weekend. I thought I was doing a nice thing for this business but apparently, this business knew it was a fraudulent charge, was told it was fraudulent and not only let the thieves go but charged me two weeks later knowing it was a fraudulent charge. I called the hotel again today but the manager was not there so I could not find out why they processed this charge anyway. And US Bank, I'm closing my accounts. I can't believe a bank this large is unable to post a provisional credit for 10 business days.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I had a prepaid reservation for a 2 Queen beds room at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Belmont, CA on 5/21/22 for 2 nights through T-Mobile Travel (aka Rocket Travel, Inc.) (Confirmation Code **) but when I checked in, all rooms were booked and they only had 1 King bed. When I stated I had a 2 Queen beds reservation, the front desk clerk stated that their reservation system did not show I had a 2 Queen bed reservation but instead showed "Open room" so I had no choice but to accept the King bed room #311 which was completely unacceptable. When a room type has been reserved and pre-paid, I expect this room type to be "reserved". I don't know who (T-Mobile Travel or Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites) messed up but hotel guests should not have to deal with their error.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Had to cancel a reservation when our flight was cancelled. Despite calling to cancel nearly 24 hours in advance, we were charged a “cancellation fee” — which is defined as the full price of a one night stay. We kept being told by the reservations desk that it was up to the front desk who in turn said is was up to the reservations desk. The strategy was to keep transferring us back and forth until we gave up.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

The hotel is not cared for very well. We had to switch rooms 3 times due to room issues (running toilet, mold, clogged sinks, broken closet doors and broken draws, etc.). The cable TV conked out for a period of time, staff does not seem to care nor apologetic. Housekeeping does not replenish towels or clean the room adequately. There is clearly a humidity and mold issue as the hallway on the 3rd floor smells exactly like a dirty, wet dog. First room had an air purifier/humidity control and we were not comfortable with explanation as we have never had a hotel room that required this. Old spring mattresses are uncomfortable and you have to have freezing cold water hit you to turn shower on as the handle is 18" above the shower floor and under the faucet forcing you to stand in the shower to turn it on. Never seen anything like this before! There are much better hotels in the area! Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I am still in a state of shock from the experience we had this past weekend with Holiday Inn Express, an IHG hotel. We had driven six hours from out-of-state and just minutes before we arrived at the hotel to check in, we were notified that our reservation was canceled due to "maintenance issues." It was Labor Day weekend in Las Vegas. I made these reservations on June 7th, THREE MONTHS IN ADVANCE. The front desk clerk was callous to our situation and very vague about the "maintenance issues" and I have a hunch that the hotel gave our rooms to last minute customers at a much higher rate.

There was no availability anywhere within miles. We missed our dinner reservation at Mandalay Bay because we were driving around in a panic trying to find lodging. We ended up driving to St. George, Utah that night arriving at 2:30 a.m. and then ended our trip early. A MUCH ANTICIPATED VACATION WAS RUINED, likely due to the greed of Holiday Inn Express and IHG Corporation. Buyer beware! This business lacks integrity.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. I booked and paid for a room back in July for this past Friday, September 3rd and selected early check in so my bridal party could get ready before my wedding. We showed up at 11:10am and were told that the hotel booked up the night before and there were no available rooms. When I explained I already paid for early check in and my reservation clearly states check in at 11am, all she said was, "Oh I understand that and I might have to refund you your money." The parking lot barely had any cars in it, so it didn't appear very full.

The manager was pretty rude and instead being understanding and sympathetic to my situation of needing to get ready for my WEDDING and getting us a room cleaned ASAP, all she kept saying is that we could cancel the reservation and refund us and that she's only been working there a week. I told her that there was no disclaimer when I booked this room or warning that the early check in was not guaranteed, nor was there a phone call to me ever informing me that my early check-in could not be accommodated. She then asked if we wanted to wait until her staff could get a room cleaned and I told her I had no other option. She told me it would take no more than a half an hour.

My sister then arrived to also get ready for my wedding and started questioning the professionalism of the hotel and asking why a room was not held for this reservation. The manager responded that they couldn't deny a guest Thursday night for an early reservation, and our response was that they should not offer early check in if they can not fulfill it. I also said I intitally was going to book the room for Thursday night as well but since they offered the early check in, I did not. The manager slowly started stepping out from behind the counter towards my sister while telling her to stop yelling at her, when my sister was not yelling, as if she was about to do something physical.

We then went outside to wait for our room, during which we saw the girl that was supposed to be cleaning a room for us instead come outside for a cigarette and at 11:40 we were told the room was still not clean. The manager still just kept saying she could cancel our reservation. My sister started calling other hotels trying to find us another room. As soon as she did, at noon and an hour after we should have been in the room that we already reserved and paid for, I went to inform the manager that she could cancel our reservation, then she responds , "but your room is ready now." I will never give this company my money.

We had to move all of our bags that had been sitting in the lobby back to our car and drive to the new hotel and I was an hour behind schedule for my wedding. I got to my wedding just in time for the ceremony and was not able to to do any of the bridal party photos at my venue prior to the ceremony that I had planned on doing.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Holiday Inn Express, Vicksburg, MS, Wet Carpet could there be mold?, Desk Chair that was broken, Bathroom door would not lock, Bathroom floor was sticky. The "We Want You To Be 100% Satisfied with Your Stay" sign they have on the wall means nothing to the front desk or the corporate office. We were on a ten day road trip, this was our last night, we had no complaints of any of the other hotels we stayed in. In fact it was a perfect trip. Hate we had to end it on this sour note,.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information