1.28/5
Based on 246 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

321 Holiday Inn Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I made reservations online thru Holiday Inn Express on 5/19 for 4 days, starting 5/21 thru 5/24/18, I stayed on the 20th and 21st and had a family emergency so I checked out early morning on the 22nd, Holiday Inn charged me for the full 4 days even though I only stayed 2 and refused to refund or credit my account claiming I can't check out early as it was prepaid reservation. I traveled for work for over 30 years staying in Holiday Inn an average 10 days per month, many times I made reservations and had to change and cancel and as long as cancelled by 4pm on check in day or check out by check out was only charged for actual stay. I spoke to general manager of hotel he actually said though, "We are not refunding you and thanks for leaving."

Original review: May 7, 2018

To make a long story short our one year old spilled a plate of scrambled eggs from the breakfast buffet on the floor. My fiancée picked up what she could with her hands and then went to tell housekeeping. This was right before check out. They said not to worry they would get it. Not an hour after check out I was charged 150 dollars on my card. I called to ask why and the manager said the room was a mess. She sent me pictures of eggs spilled on the floor and coffee cups and other trash can items that had been in the trash cans were now spread around the room. The eggs that had been in a pile from the plate dropping were also spread out but still nothing a vacuum can't handle. She even sent pictures of towels on the floor in the bathroom? The sign in the room says please put your towels on the floor if dirty? I Would avoid this place unless you like a shakedown.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Holiday Inn Express East Jacksonville Fl stayed April 13, 2018. 5/1/2018. Watch your credit card. They billed me twice. Requested non-smoking room because no one in my party smoked. My card was charged twice. They claimed my bathroom smelled like smoke and I am fighting this. The staff told me that housekeeping smelled smoke. Someone at that hotel is trying to pocket $150. I have already filed a complaint with corporate. I don't like being called a liar when I know that no one in my party smokes. Stay away from this Hotel. What a terrible thing to do to your guest and then the manager not even call you back to try to fix the issue! Sure wish I had stayed somewhere else. Thought the name Holiday Inn name "Stood for Something" and had higher standards. I am an IHG reward member but think I will take my business elsewhere!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have called and left messages and sent an e-mail to Doug ** and have not received any response back. This is for the Holiday Inn Express, Nashville, TN. This is unprofessional and unacceptable to treat anyone this way. Below is the e-mail I sent Mr. ** yesterday and have not heard from him. This has been going on for two weeks now so I emailed every possible address for the hotel and no response.

I made a reservation on 02/10/2018 and my Debit Card was charged $2,378 on 02/15/2018. Because of a work conflict I had to cancel the reservation on 02/20/2018. My reservation was for June 5th thru June 10th 2018 and I know the hotel is completely booked now for those dates because of the Special Event the CMA Festival. I didn't realize or read the confusing statement about cancellations at the time of the booking that I would be charged the full amount of $2,378 for cancellation and I don't think that is fair considering that the hotel is completely sold out. Evidently this practice is ongoing and is FRAUD and should be stopped. This is the last time I ever book directly with a hotel because there isn't any protection from being taken advantage of.

Updated on 03/11/2018: This is an update on Holiday Inn Express and all IHG hotels. I found this article date July 25, 2017 that stated that InterContinental Hotels Group is introducing a policy enabling customers at most hotels to cancel without penalty if they give at least 24 hours' notice. Hilton said last month that its cancellation policies vary at hotels, and an online search verified that. Some properties had 24-hour windows and others had 48. And, 72-hour cancellation deadlines are not uncommon in the industry.

Original review: March 6, 2018

During my stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites address 405 N Park Road Wyomissing PA 19610 everything was great until the end. I was charged a smoking fee of $230. I DO NOT SMOKE AND MY BOYFRIEND DID NOT SMOKE IN THE ROOM. I had to call three times to speak to the general manager **. Upon speaking with ** he was very unprofessional. ** would not let me finish a thought. He said, "I smelled the smoke myself." I told him that was a lie because we did not smoke and that I would like to get a corporate number or speak with someone above him. He told me there isn't anyone above him and did not provide a corporate number. I had to find that on my own. I told ** that I was going to dispute it and before I could finish speaking he spoke harshly to me and hung up.

I tried to tell him before he hung that throwing an empty cigarette pack in the garbage does not constitute as smoking. I've worked in the hotel industry and ** knows that he did not smell any smoke in that room. I feel scammed out of money by this hotel. I never stay at hotels not owned by Marriott, my boyfriend decided we should try it and I will never stay at any intercontinental-owned hotel ever again. The way this general manager ** spoke to me was very appalling and unprofessional. When you are in the business of hospitality you need to speak to people with respect. I will not rest until $230 is returned to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I work for a company and one of the employees was going to travel to Detroit for business. The employee had a family emergency and did not use the reservation. I called the hotel and explained the situation. The manager, Jessica stated that it would not be an issue to refund our money. I asked her twice. Then I told her that we would rebook for the following week. We did and figured all was well. Anyway, we had to cancel the latest reservation, several days ahead. We were charged, so I called and Jessica was rude. I told her that the reservation was cancelled. She said she comp me the second reservation and charged for the first, however, that was never stated in our conversation. I told her that it was a family emergency, and she said you need to have your ducks in a row. If that is how management treats customers, then she needs to be fired!!! So very rude. I am not a rude person, but she brought out the worst in me.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I travel for business and had booked a stay at Holiday Inn Express for several days. Due to a change in plans I had to check out early. However, I was charged with the full amount. Holiday Inn said that since I had booked in advance I could not get a refund to my charge card for the day that I was not there. Very upset with this business.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Consumer beware! Like other reviewers I inadvertently made a reservation with an “advanced purchase rate”. When booking the reservation, I assumed my credit card was used to hold the room not purchase a rate. I tried to cancel my reservation FOUR MONTHS in advance. When I contacted the hotel directly, the staff was rude and condescending. They would not issue a refund and I was out the money. Lesson learned. Never do business with IHG hotels. Hopefully IHG will review this terrible hotel reservation policy.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We unknowingly booked an "advance purchase rate" as the total of $273.39 seemed well within the “normal rate” charge for a 2 night stay at Holiday Inn Express. The cancellation of this reservation was made a full 10 days prior to the reserved night due to the cancellation of the event we were to attend. The IHG guest relations customer service representatives keep referring us to the hotel GM who refuses to refund the money and refers us back to guest relations. Talk about a scam! Didn't realize that Holiday Inn was that hard up for money that they would institute such a policy and leave no room for grace even when cancellation was made a full 10 days prior.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

When we 1st arrived to the 1st room the refrigerator wasn't working correctly. Then the heat was not working either. There was no remote for the TV. They brought us one but we were told it probably won't work. In which it did not work. The lightbulb in the bathroom was out & had to be replaced. Then they decided to just move us to another room. We froze our behinds off that night! The heat did not work in that room either! First thing in the morning that was addressed. When it was told to the woman at the front desk she got an attitude. They said they would have someone to fix it.

I realized there was a pair of my earrings missing. We went to the front desk and the General Manager was called to the front desk. She called both people to the front desk and told them that we are claiming a pair of earrings were lost. But she told us that that is unheard of from her employees. So the only thing you can do is call the police and make a report! She was very ignorant and unconcerned.

We went out for breakfast. I called back to speak to the GM to ask her if she could see to it that no one goes into our room because we were very uncomfortable with anyone in there. She says "Well when are you coming back because I rented out that room for the day!" I was in a state of shock because we were not due to check out until the next day. She also claimed she would give us 2000 points more for the other inconveniences but she never did. This behavior is unacceptable as a General Manager! I only gave it a one because it couldn't been a nice stay with better service!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Delafield, WI. Nice hotel just needs a little better maid service. A smaller Hotel but in a very accessible area to restaurants, shopping, movie theaters and gas stations. We always enjoy our stays at Holiday Inn Express. Nice pool, and complimentary breakfast.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

This post is regards to my interaction with Ms. Vicky **, GM, at the Holiday Inn in San Pablo, CA. On Tuesday at 12:45 AM, I contacted the property requesting to cancel my reservation due to a family emergency. My father and travel companion was admitted to the hospital. A very nice rep advised to call and speak to his manager Ms. Vicky between the hours of 9AM-5PM.

Around 11:00 AM. Ms. Vicky answered the line and I restated my situation and offered proof of my dad's hospitalization. I asked an exception to either refund my entire stay or pay a 1 night penalty. Ms. Vicky was unmoved by my situation and began to recite the terms of my purchase. This manager had the authority to turn this unfortunate, unforeseen situation into a positive engagement but she choose not to do so. Why don't companies realize you can make a lot more money in future business just by extending a lil bit of compassion especially when you can provide proof!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

The hotel was nice. The rooms are good. My only concern and issue is the management and how they treat customers. I was staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Mesquite Nevada on the 10th and 11th. That weekend my son was down there for a soccer tournament. Since I’m a member they said I could have a late check out at 2 PM. His game was a little bit later than that. They said it was OK to stay till three and then it would not cost me anything extra because no one else was checking out at that time so we did. Few days later I get a charge for 6250. When I called to talk to management about it she was very rude and unprofessional and would not take it off. Now she’s tack on more money. It’s up to $87.44 now more. This is not OK.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had to cancel my reservation in Dundee. When I phoned - because their mailbox was full, after waiting two days, I was told I get no refund at all. This is company policy from IHG and the operative was very offhand about my very unfortunate reasons for cancelling my visit. I don't believe it's worth even one star!! It was hidden away in the terms & conditions and nobody could reasonably be expected to have read through those all of them. If this is company policy it must be highlighted much more, so customers know this. I do not believe this to be generally "common practice" and therefore to be expected if one cancels a reservation. Even if it was on a slightly cheaper rate, it was only £10 less so not much less.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

The switch to the jacuzzi was broken off. I tried the phone but it was not working (safety violation), So I went to the front desk. They said it had been like that for two years and it was not going to be fixed anytime soon. That's the customer service they have at Holiday Inn Express, I will not be going back. Neither will any of my employees.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I booked 8 rooms for our softball team. We arrived, and the lady checking us in was completely confused. The entire hotel was under construction as well. I was concerned after check and ask are you sure we are good to go. I even made the comment, "I'm the last person to check in and the only room to be applied to this card."

During her confusion the lady moved two of my softball parents to other rooms. After we check out and left my card was charged for 2 rooms as a no show even though the people's names shown to be in those rooms were put in other rooms. The hotel had very little guest, I'm assuming because it was under construction. Not sure if this is a way for them to make revenue but they messed up, overcharged and won't correct.

Not to mention all of our rooms had no room number, all the exterior exits were unsecure, wet paint on the walls without signs and carpet demolished and laid throughout the hallways for people to trip over. I told my team to just stay and deal with the construction, apologized explaining to them that there was no mention of a complete remodel in progress. Then after we go ahead and stay to get overcharged is nonsense. Please know I have never made a complaint or review in 35 years till now.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My experience with this hotel was terrible. After a few hours of being there I discovered the room had bed bugs by them biting me. I brought the attention to the desk employee on my way out and showed him as well. He was very sympathetic about the issue and did all he could do to assist me, gave me the manager's contact info for my refund. I called her. She didn't answer so I left a message. She never returned my phone call at all and no one bothered to call and show any concerns. Still waiting on my refund in the mail that was suppose to be sent. I wouldn't tell anyone to stay at this place here in Augusta GA. I'm gonna call corporate and see what results I get from them. Thanks for giving people a outlet to voice themselves...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Beware, this hotel is so-called “the smart hotel” serves you same boring cold breakfast on a daily basis with INSECT on your TART… This “Great Room” hotel restaurant has a unhygienic environment and unapologetic and remorseless staff. Moreover, this hotel is absolutely not meant for a decent business person or a family to come and stay, because the area SOI 11 is pathetic, past 6 pm onward the entire SOI 11 stretch becomes “A RED LIGHT AREA”. The street is full of male and female prostitutes, they enter the hotel on a pretext of using the restroom and are surprisingly welcomed by the hotel staff, these prostitutes later pick-up customers from the hotel lobby area freely.

The hotel room has a large window which faces the hotel facade walls, therefore, there is no view from most of the rooms and without sunlight, the room is pitch dark. At SOI 11 the traffic is non-stop and maddening, the noise coming from the street can be literary deafening... Last but not the least, the hotel has charged me on my CREDIT CARD without my knowledge for the room in spite of giving them the prepaid hotel voucher. Hotel room tip: Avoid this hotel there are better options in the vicinity.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My girlfriend and her father and I evacuated Florida for Hurricane Irma. This hotel charged our credit card 9 times on 09/10/17 for $378.00 each time, then charged the card again on 09/12/17 for over $400.00. When we confronted them they denied charging the card so many times and hung up on us every time we called them. If you experienced this yourself we would like to hear from you for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My 18 year old son goes to college in Melbourne, Florida so for his safety during Hurricane Irma I had him drive north to stay at a room I booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Apopka. Based on the movement of the storm I thought he would be out of traffic and safe booking the room from Thursday to Sunday. My timing was off and the worst part of the storm was going to hit the hotels area on Sunday. He was even more scared when he realized this so I told him to go down to the front desk to extend his stay, but he could not due to other reservations.

He asked if could stay in a hall or some area of the hotel until the storm passes and was told no, by 11:00 checkout Sunday he must be off the hotel's property. I can't believe that a major chain that I used to frequent (there is no way I will ever stay at a Holiday Inn again) would send anyone off in a hurricane, frankly I assumed that if someone was driving in such a terrible storm the hotel would say stop here and be safe. I don't know if they did this so the employees can have a room or because he was a scared 18 year old kid on his own for the first time or because he is **, whatever the reason is, IT'S WRONG!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

It just seems like every time I go to use my rewards points for my personal use and there's something going on in the area they all of a sudden they don't have any open rooms. l get points when I stay at a Holiday Inn for my work and is one of a few benefits I get. I guess even being a Gold Elite member doesn't mean anything.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Two rooms were reserved. When we arrived, we issued credit card for both rooms. Keys were issued for both rooms. We took keys to our room and left other keys at desk to give to other customer when he arrived. We put name on keys. When he arrived, they did not have his room. They cancelled his room and gave it to someone else. They had to find him a room. We are very upset because he is our State Officer in a Veteran's organization and it made it seem that we did not provide for him. He had to use his own credit card and we had to straighten everything out again the next day. Very poor customer service and the most expensive hotel with NO Veteran discounts. Will never stay at their hotels again!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I was very disappointed when I went to the IHG website to check my rewards points balance only to discover they were gone. When I called the company, they told me they had expired as of 7/20/17. I explained to them that I had not received an email from them since 5/4/17 and no notice of expiration. I just find it shady that no notice was received regarding an upcoming expiration, that no email was received since 5/4/17 and that they were unwilling to exercise good customer service and provide some kind of remedy for this situation. IHG only offered to have me purchase points. Needless to say, the reservation I was getting ready to make in PA with Holiday Inn Express went to another company.

Original review: July 31, 2017

This was my worst experience ever at a Holiday Inn Express. They put us in 3 different rooms before they found one that the bathroom lights worked properly. The fan didn't work in the third bathroom, but I was happy to just get a room. After all we did have a reservation. They said this was a recently renovated room. And I could tell by the masking tape on the ac cord and the missing switch plate. Otherwise this room looked like the others.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I was very dissatisfied with my stay at the Holiday Inn Express in London, Kentucky. Yes, I do tend to inspect things. Upon entering the room, the toilet is already plugged. Gee, no maintenance people are in. They gave me a plunger. The shower head was full of mold. I had to unscrew that and scrub it up so I could take a shower the next day. I won't be back.

Original review: July 12, 2017

It was horrible. Black mold everywhere. Had to check out with headaches and sore throat. That was just a snapshot of our nightmare. The Holiday Inn Express in Seaford Delaware should be shut down by the Dept of Health for deplorable conditions. And this was a handicap room. We are thankfully not handicapped but if a person with respiratory issues get that room, there will be serious complications. I will never ever consider Holiday Inn as a place to stay again. My car is a better option!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

July 6, 2017 I booked for two nights at a Holiday Inn Express in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The rate was $131 when I arrived at the hotel at night. They signed me a paper with $157. Next day the rate went up $175 and it was not weekend and I had a reservation. They told him he shouldn't rate goes up-and-down. There was a gentleman there, a big guy with the green hair, he couldn't able to keep his uniforms straight. You couldn't talk to him and he tells you the rate change according to the day but I said I had reservation. He goes "I don't know this is the rules here." He was not polite receptionist. He was too big ugly person for me.

This is a fraud first of all, second of all Holiday Inn over for me. I will never ever look at Holiday Inn Express again and I called the customer service to complain and always there is some people. It's barely you understand their English and they repeat the same words. The rates change every day. If the rate change every day why you don't let the customer know that advance. That is fraud, absolute fraud. I will recommend to anybody. Thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I traveled with my work for approx 30 years... using Holiday Inns or HI Expresses whenever possible. My wife and I used some reward points over the years, but had accumulated quite a few to use after retirement. We were able to use some of our points, but, then my wife was ill for over a year so we did no traveling. When we did pull up our account... ALL 310,000 POINTS WERE GONE! "Use it or lose it," they said! HOW CAN THEY TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS IN SUCH A FASHION. Travelers beware. We have other reward points with other providers... the other providers are much more customer friendly!!

Original review: June 22, 2017

I had made reservations in advance. They would not let me out of reservations after I complained about small room, no fridge, loud noises from other rooms & streets below. Hot & cold showers when other rooms flushed & showered. AC was not. No sink space. Awful experience for price paid!

Original review: May 10, 2017

My daughter stayed at this hotel on military orders. Because this deployment was sudden, the military credit card was being mailed directly to the hotel. The Army set up the room as well as the soldiers in her until showed their orders. The front desk told the soldiers in her until that they would need a card that would NOT be charged! They play games with words. Holiday Inn put a hold on my daughter's account of almost $2200!!! This meant any pending charges she had would be assessed an overdraft, plus these soldiers had NO money for FOOD until the military cards came in.

We left several messages for the General Manager, but the last RUDE woman told me that the GM is busy managing three hotels and will get back with us if he deems necessary. 5 Days my daughter would have gone with no money for food had we not covered her hotel charges. We have taken the issue up with my daughter's unit. It is UNACCEPTABLE Holiday Inn bills soldiers UPFRONT on rooms the hotel has set up with the Army! We are filing complaints with the Army to have this establishment banned. If you support our troops, please do NOT support Holiday Inn anywhere. I have also sent out notices to my military families to also stay away so their soldiers don't get screwed over by this anti-military establishment.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information