Holiday Inn Express
  • 1 star
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Holiday Inn Express

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

310 Holiday Inn Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

This post is regards to my interaction with Ms. Vicky **, GM, at the Holiday Inn in San Pablo, CA. On Tuesday at 12:45 AM, I contacted the property requesting to cancel my reservation due to a family emergency. My father and travel companion was admitted to the hospital. A very nice rep advised to call and speak to his manager Ms. Vicky between the hours of 9AM-5PM.

Around 11:00 AM. Ms. Vicky answered the line and I restated my situation and offered proof of my dad's hospitalization. I asked an exception to either refund my entire stay or pay a 1 night penalty. Ms. Vicky was unmoved by my situation and began to recite the terms of my purchase. This manager had the authority to turn this unfortunate, unforeseen situation into a positive engagement but she choose not to do so. Why don't companies realize you can make a lot more money in future business just by extending a lil bit of compassion especially when you can provide proof!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

The hotel was nice. The rooms are good. My only concern and issue is the management and how they treat customers. I was staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Mesquite Nevada on the 10th and 11th. That weekend my son was down there for a soccer tournament. Since I’m a member they said I could have a late check out at 2 PM. His game was a little bit later than that. They said it was OK to stay till three and then it would not cost me anything extra because no one else was checking out at that time so we did. Few days later I get a charge for 6250. When I called to talk to management about it she was very rude and unprofessional and would not take it off. Now she’s tack on more money. It’s up to $87.44 now more. This is not OK.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had to cancel my reservation in Dundee. When I phoned - because their mailbox was full, after waiting two days, I was told I get no refund at all. This is company policy from IHG and the operative was very offhand about my very unfortunate reasons for cancelling my visit. I don't believe it's worth even one star!! It was hidden away in the terms & conditions and nobody could reasonably be expected to have read through those all of them. If this is company policy it must be highlighted much more, so customers know this. I do not believe this to be generally "common practice" and therefore to be expected if one cancels a reservation. Even if it was on a slightly cheaper rate, it was only £10 less so not much less.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

The switch to the jacuzzi was broken off. I tried the phone but it was not working (safety violation), So I went to the front desk. They said it had been like that for two years and it was not going to be fixed anytime soon. That's the customer service they have at Holiday Inn Express, I will not be going back. Neither will any of my employees.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I booked 8 rooms for our softball team. We arrived, and the lady checking us in was completely confused. The entire hotel was under construction as well. I was concerned after check and ask are you sure we are good to go. I even made the comment, "I'm the last person to check in and the only room to be applied to this card."

During her confusion the lady moved two of my softball parents to other rooms. After we check out and left my card was charged for 2 rooms as a no show even though the people's names shown to be in those rooms were put in other rooms. The hotel had very little guest, I'm assuming because it was under construction. Not sure if this is a way for them to make revenue but they messed up, overcharged and won't correct.

Not to mention all of our rooms had no room number, all the exterior exits were unsecure, wet paint on the walls without signs and carpet demolished and laid throughout the hallways for people to trip over. I told my team to just stay and deal with the construction, apologized explaining to them that there was no mention of a complete remodel in progress. Then after we go ahead and stay to get overcharged is nonsense. Please know I have never made a complaint or review in 35 years till now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My experience with this hotel was terrible. After a few hours of being there I discovered the room had bed bugs by them biting me. I brought the attention to the desk employee on my way out and showed him as well. He was very sympathetic about the issue and did all he could do to assist me, gave me the manager's contact info for my refund. I called her. She didn't answer so I left a message. She never returned my phone call at all and no one bothered to call and show any concerns. Still waiting on my refund in the mail that was suppose to be sent. I wouldn't tell anyone to stay at this place here in Augusta GA. I'm gonna call corporate and see what results I get from them. Thanks for giving people a outlet to voice themselves...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Beware, this hotel is so-called “the smart hotel” serves you same boring cold breakfast on a daily basis with INSECT on your TART… This “Great Room” hotel restaurant has a unhygienic environment and unapologetic and remorseless staff. Moreover, this hotel is absolutely not meant for a decent business person or a family to come and stay, because the area SOI 11 is pathetic, past 6 pm onward the entire SOI 11 stretch becomes “A RED LIGHT AREA”. The street is full of male and female prostitutes, they enter the hotel on a pretext of using the restroom and are surprisingly welcomed by the hotel staff, these prostitutes later pick-up customers from the hotel lobby area freely.

The hotel room has a large window which faces the hotel facade walls, therefore, there is no view from most of the rooms and without sunlight, the room is pitch dark. At SOI 11 the traffic is non-stop and maddening, the noise coming from the street can be literary deafening... Last but not the least, the hotel has charged me on my CREDIT CARD without my knowledge for the room in spite of giving them the prepaid hotel voucher. Hotel room tip: Avoid this hotel there are better options in the vicinity.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My girlfriend and her father and I evacuated Florida for Hurricane Irma. This hotel charged our credit card 9 times on 09/10/17 for $378.00 each time, then charged the card again on 09/12/17 for over $400.00. When we confronted them they denied charging the card so many times and hung up on us every time we called them. If you experienced this yourself we would like to hear from you for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My 18 year old son goes to college in Melbourne, Florida so for his safety during Hurricane Irma I had him drive north to stay at a room I booked at the Holiday Inn Express in Apopka. Based on the movement of the storm I thought he would be out of traffic and safe booking the room from Thursday to Sunday. My timing was off and the worst part of the storm was going to hit the hotels area on Sunday. He was even more scared when he realized this so I told him to go down to the front desk to extend his stay, but he could not due to other reservations.

He asked if could stay in a hall or some area of the hotel until the storm passes and was told no, by 11:00 checkout Sunday he must be off the hotel's property. I can't believe that a major chain that I used to frequent (there is no way I will ever stay at a Holiday Inn again) would send anyone off in a hurricane, frankly I assumed that if someone was driving in such a terrible storm the hotel would say stop here and be safe. I don't know if they did this so the employees can have a room or because he was a scared 18 year old kid on his own for the first time or because he is **, whatever the reason is, IT'S WRONG!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

It just seems like every time I go to use my rewards points for my personal use and there's something going on in the area they all of a sudden they don't have any open rooms. l get points when I stay at a Holiday Inn for my work and is one of a few benefits I get. I guess even being a Gold Elite member doesn't mean anything.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Two rooms were reserved. When we arrived, we issued credit card for both rooms. Keys were issued for both rooms. We took keys to our room and left other keys at desk to give to other customer when he arrived. We put name on keys. When he arrived, they did not have his room. They cancelled his room and gave it to someone else. They had to find him a room. We are very upset because he is our State Officer in a Veteran's organization and it made it seem that we did not provide for him. He had to use his own credit card and we had to straighten everything out again the next day. Very poor customer service and the most expensive hotel with NO Veteran discounts. Will never stay at their hotels again!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I was very disappointed when I went to the IHG website to check my rewards points balance only to discover they were gone. When I called the company, they told me they had expired as of 7/20/17. I explained to them that I had not received an email from them since 5/4/17 and no notice of expiration. I just find it shady that no notice was received regarding an upcoming expiration, that no email was received since 5/4/17 and that they were unwilling to exercise good customer service and provide some kind of remedy for this situation. IHG only offered to have me purchase points. Needless to say, the reservation I was getting ready to make in PA with Holiday Inn Express went to another company.

Original review: July 31, 2017

This was my worst experience ever at a Holiday Inn Express. They put us in 3 different rooms before they found one that the bathroom lights worked properly. The fan didn't work in the third bathroom, but I was happy to just get a room. After all we did have a reservation. They said this was a recently renovated room. And I could tell by the masking tape on the ac cord and the missing switch plate. Otherwise this room looked like the others.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I was very dissatisfied with my stay at the Holiday Inn Express in London, Kentucky. Yes, I do tend to inspect things. Upon entering the room, the toilet is already plugged. Gee, no maintenance people are in. They gave me a plunger. The shower head was full of mold. I had to unscrew that and scrub it up so I could take a shower the next day. I won't be back.

Original review: July 12, 2017

It was horrible. Black mold everywhere. Had to check out with headaches and sore throat. That was just a snapshot of our nightmare. The Holiday Inn Express in Seaford Delaware should be shut down by the Dept of Health for deplorable conditions. And this was a handicap room. We are thankfully not handicapped but if a person with respiratory issues get that room, there will be serious complications. I will never ever consider Holiday Inn as a place to stay again. My car is a better option!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

July 6, 2017 I booked for two nights at a Holiday Inn Express in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The rate was $131 when I arrived at the hotel at night. They signed me a paper with $157. Next day the rate went up $175 and it was not weekend and I had a reservation. They told him he shouldn't rate goes up-and-down. There was a gentleman there, a big guy with the green hair, he couldn't able to keep his uniforms straight. You couldn't talk to him and he tells you the rate change according to the day but I said I had reservation. He goes "I don't know this is the rules here." He was not polite receptionist. He was too big ugly person for me.

This is a fraud first of all, second of all Holiday Inn over for me. I will never ever look at Holiday Inn Express again and I called the customer service to complain and always there is some people. It's barely you understand their English and they repeat the same words. The rates change every day. If the rate change every day why you don't let the customer know that advance. That is fraud, absolute fraud. I will recommend to anybody. Thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I traveled with my work for approx 30 years... using Holiday Inns or HI Expresses whenever possible. My wife and I used some reward points over the years, but had accumulated quite a few to use after retirement. We were able to use some of our points, but, then my wife was ill for over a year so we did no traveling. When we did pull up our account... ALL 310,000 POINTS WERE GONE! "Use it or lose it," they said! HOW CAN THEY TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS IN SUCH A FASHION. Travelers beware. We have other reward points with other providers... the other providers are much more customer friendly!!

Original review: June 22, 2017

I had made reservations in advance. They would not let me out of reservations after I complained about small room, no fridge, loud noises from other rooms & streets below. Hot & cold showers when other rooms flushed & showered. AC was not. No sink space. Awful experience for price paid!

Original review: May 10, 2017

My daughter stayed at this hotel on military orders. Because this deployment was sudden, the military credit card was being mailed directly to the hotel. The Army set up the room as well as the soldiers in her until showed their orders. The front desk told the soldiers in her until that they would need a card that would NOT be charged! They play games with words. Holiday Inn put a hold on my daughter's account of almost $2200!!! This meant any pending charges she had would be assessed an overdraft, plus these soldiers had NO money for FOOD until the military cards came in.

We left several messages for the General Manager, but the last RUDE woman told me that the GM is busy managing three hotels and will get back with us if he deems necessary. 5 Days my daughter would have gone with no money for food had we not covered her hotel charges. We have taken the issue up with my daughter's unit. It is UNACCEPTABLE Holiday Inn bills soldiers UPFRONT on rooms the hotel has set up with the Army! We are filing complaints with the Army to have this establishment banned. If you support our troops, please do NOT support Holiday Inn anywhere. I have also sent out notices to my military families to also stay away so their soldiers don't get screwed over by this anti-military establishment.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I have two single day pre-paid reservations that I will not be able to utilize because I have become ill. The hotel management staff refuses to talk to me or return my calls to try and resolve the issue.

Original review: May 5, 2017

2 days after I checked out of the Holiday Inn Express in Tipp City Ohio I found an additional charge to my card with no explanation of $100. When I called the hotel they told me it was a charge for cleaning "HAZARDOUS WASTE". And they had to have the room fumigated because I had left a used diaper in a plastic bag in another trash can. I have tried to contact the number the manager gave me to dispute the charge but the manager has not returned the call as of yet. This a totally bogus charge and should be removed. Be careful if you stay at this hotel.

Original review: April 30, 2017

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mall of Georgia, 2499 Satellite Blvd., Buford Georgia for 2 nights. When we checked in, we realized there was an error regarding the check out date. The person checking us in assured us that it was corrected and we would only get charged for 2 nights for a total of $391.94. About 2 hours later my husband noticed that we had been charged for 5 nights ($972.85). We went back to the front desk and were assured the charges would be reversed.

The next day we noticed another charge of $480.85. Again we were assured this was an error and it would be reversed. On Sunday morning when we checked out the hotel clerk charged our account another $391.94, which is the amount we should have been charged. At that time we questioned the other two charges and were again reassured the first two charges would be reversed. After getting home, my husband noticed all three charges plus an additional charge of $200 had been charged to our account. We immediately called the hotel and they said it was because we were smoking in the room. NO ONE IN MY FAMILY SMOKES. The hotel clerk claims the housekeeper smelled "heavy smoke" outside of our room. Really!!! This was never questioned with us during our stay and housekeeping cleaned up our room after the first night.

Holiday Inn Express has robbed us of $1,653.03. This is not a small amount of money! We are truly, truly angered by this whole thing and I will not stop complaining until we get our money back! I have already contacted ABC news and the attorney general's office of Georgia. I do not care about a business that deceives and get over on the consumer. I will NEVER ever stay in another Holiday Inn hotel chain and I will ensure you are exposed for this wrongdoing, which we feel was intentional, a way to steal money from us.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I've never been so humiliated, embarrassed, and disappointed. I had a difficult time contacting this location to check on availability for a meeting room. I called several times and got no answer so I drove to the location. Upon my arrival I met and spoke to the front desk associate Quanisha **. I expressed my concerns and then ask if they had a room for my mom's engagement party. She gladly told me yes, and then said it was available to book. I booked the room, with deposit. On the date of the engagement party, when decorating Ms. ** made sure I was taken care of. Later on she then begin to send Sybil, another front desk associate (new hire) to assist with my needs. I, then, begin to be treated as if I was an inmate being watched. I expressed to Ms. ** before the night ended I'll gladly leave and I want my funds back. She proceeded to contact someone higher up and said that I could continue with my party. From that point the night got worse.

I was told during the party that I was not allowed to have music and entertainment. I begin to ask Ms. ** why none of the details was provided. There was numerous disturbances from Sybil. The night went horrible, Ms. ** by far is a manipulative, unprofessional, deceitful associate. She called the police as if we were noncompliance and acting rudely. She was yelling at me and lied in front of officials saying I never told her my details for the engagement party and refused to give me my funds. I volunteered to leave the property because I had enough. I'm a member and can say that this is by far unacceptable behavior displayed by the associate and a very poor representation of IHG.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

We arrived at holiday inn Express in Pembroke north Carolina. We arrived there at 2:36 am. When we arrived in room all look good. We woke up 4:30 am. The heater was loud and had strange smell from it, we turn heater off. Woke back up at 7:30 am, ate breakfast at their complimentary breakfast bar (this is the best part of holiday inn express). After we took shower notice there was mold on bathroom ceiling and wall behind toilet not to mention the heater not working. As we were leaving hotel we went to the desk to let them know. They put false accusations to us telling us we smoke in room and damaged the heater. They were very rude. Told us to leave. We paid for 24hrs stay we only stayed 5hr here. I am a rewards member. I WILL NEVER STAY AT HOLIDAY INN AGAIN. THEY DO NOT SUPPORT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I reserved online two nights at the holiday inn express in Grand Canyon, Arizona. Long story short they charged one of my cards for $112.49 and they have flat out refuse to give me my money back even though they have been paid in full for my stay which was $195.64 and I have proof of such. They went so far as to even lie to my bank while I had my bank on a three way call claiming they released the funds and the bank told them no they had not. They are liars, they are thieves and I have also filed a complaint with the state attorney general of Arizona.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Lies, Telephone Fraud, Mail Fraud, Deceive. We called the hotel. The reservation person quoted us a rate for two-night stay including all taxes. We made a reservation and they gave us a confirmation number. While we were on the phone we received the reservation confirmation number via email, which I didn't open the email. During the checkout I noticed the rate difference by over $100 for two nights stay.

When I complain the discrepancy to the hotel desk and the manager, they asked us to check our confirmation email. After opening that email for 1st time I noticed that the quoted over the rate is different by email I received by email. This is LIES, FRAUD (TELEPHONE & MAIL). This is the 3rd time that happened to me by Holiday inn in one year. Last time I completed the review via email. In one of questions they asked if I like to speak with someone. I marked 'yes'. As of yet NO ONE has contacted me. This is a deceive. HOLIDAY INN SHAME ON YOU.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I booked and paid for a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Charleston SC. The hotel was nice, but when I returned home I discovered they had put an additional $15 on my card when I checked in. When I called about it they said it was in case I ordered incidentals like long distance, and they said all hotels did this. I have never had this happen at any of the other hotels I have stayed at when I paid with a credit card. Management said I should get credited back the $15 in a few days - but why are they doing this without telling the customers. Maybe they are making pretty good interest off all the thousands of $15 they are holding every day, or maybe they are hoping no one will notice the extra charge and ask for it back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn In Somerset NJ and the billing was a disaster almost to the point of fraud. My mistake was going to holidayinn.com to make my reservation. Holidayinn.com, is operated by a third party billing services (getroom.com) and has nothing to do with Holiday Inn. To make matters worse Holiday Inn wants nothing to do with whatever happens on that website. When I checked in the front desk I was told that I might have already been billed by a third party and that they would check. This was the first time that I realized there was a third party involved. When I checked out the next day I was told that they called getroom.com and I wasn't billed so they billed me. Sure enough I was billed twice with getroom.com at a substantial higher rate. It looks like the people at the front desk at the Holiday Inn in Somerset NJ either lied to me about contacting getroom, or they're incompetent or getroom.com committed fraud.

Holiday Inn did refund me the lower rate that they billed me, but refuses to have anything to do with getroom.com. In addition the higher rate that was never disclosed to me until I saw my credit card bill. When I complained to Holiday Inn about Holiday Inn not being responsible for a holidayinn.com website I was told there is nothing that they can do and that people complain all the time about this. So Holiday Inn knows there's an issue with the holidayinn.com website but could care less. I would strongly recommend you avoid Holiday Inn's reservation system, and especially avoid the Somerset NJ location as the front desk is incompetent and can't even check you in without incident.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Front desk was very rude. Put me on hold for 20 mins. Called IHG. I have been transferred 3 times. Each time I have been told I spoke to the supervisor, no one take the response. Such poor customer service. I simply wanted my money back. There is no service or accommodation. I got full charge because of "no show". There is no call or message to notice me. It's such a scam. My travel plan changed. I'm on the road. I couldn't reach the Holiday Inn Express for cancellation. It's poor management and no one will take the issue and solve it.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express in Eastland, Texas, room 413 on December 13th, 2016 and the following morning my kids had bed bug bites all over them. The pattern of three bites in which we knew right away it was bed bugs. We went down to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. An hour went by and no manager ever came down when we were told that she is too busy inspecting rooms. The front desk lady then told us that there is nothing they can do for us as we booked thru Expedia. Never an apology nor never told that they will resolve the issue. We were then told the manager would call us which still has not happened. We contacted corporate via email as well as called them and have yet to receive any follow-up.

This place needs to be shut down. The lack of management not caring to come speak to a customer with the concern of BED BUGS at a motel tells me they have a problem and we were not the first to report this. Not to my surprise, YELP had a review advising this location has bed bugs (they now have two reviews). One word for this entire organization, FARCICAL.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information