1.79/5

353 Holiday Inn Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Holiday Inn Express West Plains is the best hotel I have ever stayed! The service and the breakfast is unreal! My business trip was fabulous because of them! I will return! What a great experience. Very clean hotel rooms and the lobby is unbelievable. They really love their guests.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They always make feel welcome and have eaten well round breakfast. Have stayed there more than once. Would stay again. Very clean and organized and lots of restaurants around to have dinner at. Easy access on and off I-5 so make it easy to get to.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The best breakfast ever for a hotel! The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean! The television was nice and big. The lobby was very nice and clean plus the front desk was very helpful!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The breakfast was awesome. The room included everything you needed and the option to get things you forgot. You could tell the building was built quickly and for profit as the corners in the other waist beautiful bathroom shower did not match up correctly. But the bed was comfortable and the bedding good quality.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

The hotel looked new (it was) and the staff greeted me warmly. After getting to my room, I noticed it was clean and well stocked. It was a bit chilly but easily adjustable. Bed was very comfy. Great value!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Holiday Inn?

Original review: May 26, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. We booked a King Suite through Booking.com on April 12th for 3. Upon arriving on May 24th, we checked in only to find our room did not have a pullout or extra bed for our child. We went to the gal at the front desk and she said they had no pull out couches due to a remodel. We asked to be moved to a different room only to be told they were booked and had 15 rooms out of order. We asked for a refund and was told that she couldn't give one because we used Booking.com.

After calling several other Hotels in the area, we realized we had no choice but to stay in the room with no extra bed because everything was booked (holiday weekend). After pleading with her to work with us, she somehow was able to move us to another room without an extra bed but said she could give us a roll away bed. We agreed and were happy. Two hours later (10:40pm) my husband went to check on the status of the rollaway bed only to be told that they did not have anymore. She then moved us again to another room with two Queen beds. Finally! But then the thermostat was broke and the room was hot all night.

After contacting Booking.com to inquire about a refund I was told that the manager from the Holiday Inn Express refuses to give us a refund and claims that we mistreated her help. We were really patient through the whole nightmare in spite of being moved 3 times, ice machine out of order, our thermostat out of order and the side exit door permanently locked and out of order (Fire Hazard). Needless to say, We will NEVER stay at a HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS again. Jeanette the GM is VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I made a reservation for the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Savannah N- Port Wentworth on the Holiday Inn website on January 11 for travel dates of May 24 - 26, 2019. Today by luck, I decided to call to reconfirm my reservation and I was told that the hotel opening date has been delayed and that my reservation is not valid. When asking what I am supposed to do! Holiday Inn response was that I can cancel my reservation and make a reservation at another hotel and pay their current rate. Wow it is my lucky day, my valid reservation is not being honored and I am told that I can go to another hotel and pay more. I am not sure why they even have a customer service department as they don't really care nor provide a service.

If I was flying down and the airline made a mistake, they would fix it at their cost and compensate me, if I was booked on a new cruise and the sailing date was delayed I would have been compensated by the cruise line and cruised for free. If I would have been at a real hotel like a Marriott, they would have found me a hotel and absorbed the cost for their mistake. ****Good ole Holiday Inn policy is to cancel the reservation, and tell me that they can book me elsewhere at whatever cost it is. I guess there is a reason why my status at Marriott is a titanium platinum and my future status at Holiday is going to be non-existent.

I have never had the experience from any product ever that if there was something wrong with their product that they would replace or fix at no charge. Not this hotel chain, Holiday Inn needs to understand customer service or get out of the business.. just imagine how happy I would have been to drive 12 hours tomorrow and show up at a hotel that is not even accepting guests and not open for business when I got there. Word to the wise if a company such as Holiday Inn can not honor their reservations and does not have the integrity to fix the situation to that customer's satisfaction, they do not deserve to be be in the hospitality business due to their inhospitable policies.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My family’s stay at the Lubbock location on 45th St. was the worst ever. The pullout couch had stains and was broken. The room was outdated and dirty. I had just been to my dad's memorial that day and needed a good night's rest. 175$ for a horrible stay.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Horrible. My wife and 13 year old daughter travelled to a dance competition in Roanoke, April 12-14. Long story short, there was a billing a problem... The room was reserved in advance, then they checked in no problem. Later on, the hotel had trouble charging my wife's card--the manager, Lori **, decided that instead of trying a number of other options, to lock my wife and daughter out of their room at 11:00 pm!!

Funny, a 3 minute phone conversation cleared (with me) cleared up the problem and the room was paid for with the same account previously given to HI. Since then, my complaints to IHG & HI have gone in circles, with absolutely no help from anyone. Will never stay there again. In fact, not giving Holiday Inn or IHG any more of our business at all. Just travelled to Wilmington NC and stayed at a locally owned hotel, Jameson Inn. Very nice, no problems and the staff knows how to use a credit card!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I am very disappointed with Holiday Inn and IHG in general. I was charged $691 by this company due to a non-refundable rate that I cancelled and did not use. After contacting the 800 number and the hotel directly, the only response has been "...this is non-refundable/you knew the rules...etc." Wow! It's unbelievable that a large company would take money from hard-working people without remorse. So as a result, I will never stay at another Holiday Inn. I thought I was a "valued rewards member."

Original review: March 25, 2019

Upon checking in we were told that we had to stay on the third floor due to the fact that they were shampooing the carpets on the 1st and 2nd floors. On our way to our room my wife had to climb over electrical cords and vacuum hoses all the way down the hall. Our carpets were damp the entire first day of our stay. The top drawer of the dresser never closed. On Friday the 22nd our toilet was plugged. When I called the desk I was told that there was no one there to fix it but I was welcome to come down for a plunger. After using the plunger the water was running all over the floor making it unhealthy and extremely unsafe to use. All of these inconveniences made it a very bad experience for both of us. Also the room they changed us to its shower drained very slow so had to take shower in standing water.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My wife and I checked into a Holiday Inn Express located in Waynesboro, Va and were treated very poorly, to the point where my wife was so upset she began to cry. After asking to speak to a manager we were given the run around so we called Corporate and once again we were ignored and transferred over and over again. This company is not what we need in our areas if they are going to treat us in such a way! If we aren't welcomed there then you are NOT! welcomed here!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Stayed on the night of the 1st Feb. Was transiting from Nashville to a weekend flight in Atlanta. I've always wanted to go to Chattanooga, though as I was on a budget I resolved to stay a night there close to Lookout Mountain. I chose the wrong option. A hotel in the midst of renovations with a breakfast and lobby and lift area all torn up and with debris, dirt and wiring concerns everywhere. The breakfast in the morning saw me standing over a buffet shoved into an annex and very conscious as I looked around at the terrible environment. One that I reflected must have had health and safety concerns written all over it. Dirt in food, exposed wiring and trip hazards. On top of this I was given a room adjacent to the lift (elevator) so not the most perfect of stays.

I have tried to find the right balance in my reporting of the issue to hotel and more senior management and really haven't received the recognition of the issue, a feeling that it’s been treated sensibly or even a wider worry about the consequences of poor H&S. So in total - extremely disappointed and very very poor responses to articulate organizational care. Look at the photos and see if you would have wanted to stay there. Holiday Inn - my recommendation is that you close to refurb if you can't provide a minimal service. Your response and your acceptance is a major concern without the diligence that I would expect from a brand such as yours.

Original review: March 10, 2019

My daughter developed a heart issue that requires many tests weeks before hotel reservations and can't travel to compete in her National tournament. Wasn't aware of policy for cancelling advance pays and now they will charge me over $400 for hotel room that I can't stay at due to an uncontrollable situation. As a loyal customer, this is unfair practices. I have could easily used these funds for hotel stays for trips I have to plan for later on.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I was initially charged for my hotel stay. After check out I was charged again. This charge was more than my 1 night stay. My husband and I were there to attend a wedding, so we were rarely there, only to sleep & shower. When I called to dispute the issue I was told it was a security deposit. However it was done until 2 days after check out & still remains on my account. I called corporate who referred me back to hotel management. Total ripoff!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Checking in was smooth and pleasant. That, unfortunately, was pretty much the only good part of the stay. The room: trash baskets were NOT emptied from previous guest. The room had a musty, stale smell. The blower on the heater was very loud and only seemed to kick on when you bumped up the heat. The refrigerator did NOT keep anything cold.

The pool area: Overheated. Floors were soaked — large puddles all around and the carpet squares were soaked. Hot tub did not work. Exercise room: there appeared to be a group of 7-9 young girls "living" in there. So we were unable to utilize the treadmill. Backpacks all over the floors, blankets and pillows laying around. One little girl was sleeping on the floor at the back of the room. Empty snack food bags laying around. Breakfast: coffee was way too strong. Food was barely warm. Bananas were all over mushy and inedible. No juices available.

And the most disappointing part? The hallway on the 3rd floor seems to have been turned into a runway for people running and stomping back and forth until 2:17 AM. Needless to say, neither my husband nor I got much sleep at all. This was to be a getaway for my husband. He is a county police officer with very stressful duties — working 14-18 hour days. I wanted him to be able to relax and enjoy some quiet time. I am so angry over this. I dished out almost $100 for this room only to be so completed disappointed with everything. It is going to take more than a simple "I'm sorry" from your company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rochester - University Area, 717 East Henrietta Road, Rochester NY,14623 between 02/10/19 to 02/12/19. During the stay I had a fall in the parking lot of the hotel, I slipped and fell in the parking lot because of the ice that was not cleaned. Hotel staff had witnessed along with other guests of the hotel. Fell On Feb 12th between 07:40 to 7:50 AM. Cause of this fall resulted in my back and neck injuries and damage my laptop. I followed the process of the hotel and reported a claim. The forms were filled and submitted to the Hotel Staff ** and her the hotel Manager **. I have not received any assistance from the Hotel and I'm suffering with back and neck Injury Treatment. Also I have been having issues with the laptop malfunction since I had the fall. I need help to get my medical bill reimbursed and laptop repaired.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Well I actually have a video and I'm saving that for the executives to take a look at! The reason why I'm not going to let this go is because I missed out on working for a week. I had four days of Court hearings in Staten Island New York and one day of working in the Manhattan office. On Sunday arrived around 5. I say, "It's on. The reservation is on my credit card." He swiped but he didn't have to because my company was taking care of the incidentals that's what was told to me before I even left my state where I live. The incidentals were included. So with my credit card he asked for has the time that I arrived for the hotel stated definitely the day.

I was told at that time because the lobby was in shambles that the hotel was on the renovation and I believe he said the 4th and the 5th floor. He mentioned something about that so my first room I didn't want because it was near the exit door. The second floor at the end of the hallway and I know I was going to be coming in and out to go to work in the morning I didn't think that was the right fit for female to stay down the end of the hall by herself so the second room he gave me when I took my things and went downstairs was the room from hell room 116. I don't know why this hotel agent decided to do that but the room was was very very filthy.

I'm waiting for the general manager to call me back. It's been 2 days. I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting! I used to working in the hotel industry that this is an isolated event of less than more frequently occurring. I personally love the Holiday Inn. I've have never had a bad experience until now so I'm going to wait to see if somebody contacts me. I have not told anyone where this hotel is other than a couple people that I know personally. I let them know where I'm at when I go out of town. I'm still devastated by what happened not only because I missed out on a week salary but that I drove 119 miles up I had to drive 119 miles right back for nothing to be so hurt dissatisfied. It's unbelievable and unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have enjoyed staying at Holiday Inn Express in the past, so I thought this work related visit would be fine. The problem is I checked out 1 day early, no refunds! That is just wrong! Now someone else can stay in the same room I paid for and that person will also pay! What a scam! I also hate, not being able to talk to a person that works at the hotel about reservations.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Very difficult to make reservations. Incompetent people taking reservation. Gave my email address 2X, also, my IHG number. Reservation was made under wrong IHG number. Not able to clearly understand reservationist. Very poor.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I specifically asked for a handicapped room, we used before, knowing my mother's abilities, and the reservation was made for this specific room the morning of our arrival at Harrisburg Holiday Inn Express. Upon arrival, was told this room was not available, said no other handicapped room similar was available. My mother could not access this bathroom with her walker, or get up from using the facilities. Very frustrating stay, and management did nothing to satisfy our needs. No consideration for the handicapped.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Rooms are outdated. Rooms need to be cleaner. First room we were assigned was not very clean, the shower was rusty and the water was cold to a point that we had to be relocated to another room. After we were relocated I started getting bites on my legs and I realized that these bites are from bedbugs! I would also like to mention that breakfast was cold/lukewarm and bagels/toast stale every day! And, God forbid you show up 10 minutes early to attempt to get a hot breakfast 'cause the staff will scold you for showing up early! I would NEVER stay here again or recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have had 3 bad experiences with IHG hotels. From the reservations to the conditions of the hotel. They only want to give me points to put towards another stay. I would look otherwise if you are shopping for a hotel that will stand behind what they advertise.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My daughter and I were going to Universal Studios to see the lights, so we book a room at the Holiday Inn Express. An hour later we discovered the park was closing at 6:00 pm and there would be no lights. So we turned around and canceled but was charged full price of the room. So before you book make sure you're going to go because you will still be charged if you cancel!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We had most horrific experience at Holiday Inn Express Roslyn Long Island location, 1053 Northern bold, Roslyn NY 11576. After driving for 11 hours we got to the hotel at 12am got our keys went to our room and opened the door and saw a dirty room. No one had cleaned the room after the prior guest had left. So we went down to complain to the front desk guy named **. He was non-reactive to our complaint and was not apologetic at all instead he said these things happen no big deal.

So after maybe 30 mins he gave keys to another room we went up again to the new room. Now it’s almost 1:00 am we tried to open the door and heard a loud yell “wait“. We did not know what was really happening. We waited in front of the room for 10 more minutes then we started hearing loud yelling and fighting. That’s when we realized that few people are already in the room. Then a man opens the door and tells us that "he is staying in the room..." We were just dumbfounded. We went down. Asked the front desk guy... again same non-apologetic response. His response was he can’t do anything because the guest refuses to leave the room. So we went to nearby Hilton to stay the night. Got checked in there at 1:30 am. Holiday Inn is very unprofessional company. Will never stay in this chain. I am also IHG reward member.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was charged for a hotel I never stayed at. I had canceled more than two months in advance. I had tried contacting IHG as well as Holiday Inn Express and kept getting the runaround. After finally making many efforts to resolve this I filed a dispute with my bank and then a month later received a letter stating cancellation policy. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel at any time. Buyer beware!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I went to hotel on 9/1/18... at a double queen bedroom. 1) There was total construction and they did not mention online. 2) At 11 pm when we went to go to sleep, we found one of the beds totally dirty, the sheets were not changed, there was human hair all over it and there was booger on back of pillow and torn old pillowcase. I picked up the phone to call front desk, was also so dirty, sticky, full of small hair stuck between gaps and lines. I told the girl at front desk. She arrived, we both took pictures of the condition of the sheets, and the telephone. She changed sheets and left the other sheets on the floor in the room. When I emailed the customer service to complain about the 2 issues. They did not care at all.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Checked into the Holiday Inn Express in Brentwood, CA for 3 nights on 8/14/18. When we got into the room I noticed a sticky spot in front of the coffee pot and wiped it up with a cloth. It was filthy. Notified the desk clerk the next morning & she said she'd bring it to the attention of the cleaning staff. Upon return to the hotel later in the day, my wife took a shower and noticed dirty pools of water where she walked on the tile floor. I wiped the floor again and found the entire floor was filthy. I cleaned the floor with the washcloth and water the best I could, I did not clean in front of the door.

Next morning I brought it to the attention of the desk clerk and she got the GM. I explained the problem and he asked me what I wanted him to do. I told him to clean the room. He asked if the sheets and bed were clean and I replied "yes". He did not seem to think the floor being dirty was a problem and asked me if I wanted to move to another hotel. I just wanted the room to be cleaned. He said they only do a "deep cleaning" once in a while, not daily. When we got back, I wiped the floor molding, a picture frame and the headboard with a cloth, Disgustingly dirty!

On the third day we left in the morning and upon returning that night found the room had not been cleaned, bed not made and the "Do not disturb" sign on the door. We didn't hang that sign. Someone had come into the room, turned off the TV, turned up the thermometer to 75 degrees and emptied the Kleenex box out. There were no clean towels, bed not made and trash not emptied. I won't stay in this place again! The desk clerk, Caroline, was nice and helpful, but the GM was non-caring, obnoxious and arrogant.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I made a reservation through this business months ago. It was a 'prepaid' plan, meaning they charged you immediately. My situation has changed and I called to cancel and they refused to refund ONE CENT. They said--"Sorry, the policy states if you cancel, you lose your deposit" (which is the entire $2500!!). I did not see this particular policy when I purchased it. Upon reviewing the **confirmation email**, lo and behold--there it is. I'm trying to get in touch with the hotel manager (Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee N. Brown Deer/Mequon), and Rosa, the manager has either been "out" or she's "not available", and my requests to either call her directly or have them call her for me have been refused.

When I asked who Rosa's supervisor was, I was told he wasn't available either. The front desk girl RELUCTANTLY sent me to Agis' voice mail, where I left a detailed message. I called back to the front desk and was told the manager "wasn't working today" when earlier I'd been told she was there from 7:00-12:00, and was out for the afternoon. I was assured she would call me tomorrow--when I said, "I was assured she would call me today and she didn't," the front desk lady became obstinate. I requested her to call her and have her call me. She said there was no way to get in touch with her today. I said--"So, if the hotel caught fire, there would be NO WAY to get in touch with the MANAGER?!?!"

Again, she refused. I said--"I know she's on call because the front desk girl yesterday said she was on call 24/7, so please call her and have her call me." Nope, nope, nope. I did get an email address for Rosa prior to getting off the phone. When I tried it, there was no @ in the address. I put one in where I thought it should go, and MAYBE sent it, maybe not. 1,000% DO NOT lose your money with this business and STAY AWAY from the Holiday Inn Express Milwaukee N. Brown Deer/Mequon. I would give MINUS 5 stars if I could, I am so aggravated with getting the run-around. Unbelievable in this day and age of 'customer service'! Never again!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I reserved a room for a one-night stay for a family member at the Quakertown, PA Holiday Express. The room was "non-smoking". I was charged $250 extra because my family member had a cigarette in their car just before registering at this hotel, put it out before they entered the facility and once in the room deposited it in the waste basket. When I called the hotel after seeing the $250 overcharge on my credit card, I was told someone had smoked in the room... which was not true... no smoke detector was activated and no one smoked in the room. I was charge $250 for the maid to empty a wastepaper basket with a cigarette butt in it. Used the hotel website "chat" feature to register a complaint regarding the outrageous overcharge but, of course, was never given the courtesy of a response. Will take my business elsewhere in the future where customer courtesy may still exist.

Holiday Inn Express Company Information